3.7/5 (283 ratings)

About HostGator

HostGator is a web hosting platform with prices starting at $2.75 per month. Customers receive access to a multitude of website hosting options, including shared hosting and WordPress hosting. All sites come with a 99.9% uptime guarantee, free site transfers and free SSL certificates. Customers also receive a free domain for a year.

Pros

• Low prices
  • Many options
  • Uptime guarantee
  • Free domain for a year

Cons

• Limited backups
  • No staging

Bottom Line

HostGator offers many hosting options and features, including unlimited storage and low prices. Some packages have restrictions on staging and backups, but most customers will find its solutions fit their needs and budget.

HostGator Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

Are you aware that HostGator has a sister company called Gator Builder? I didn't realize this until I finally listened to my wife's constant nagging about monthly payments being deducted from our personal checking account. I know what you're going to say if you'd only listened to her the first time she told you. You wouldn't have to write about your experience. Yup! you're right... Maybe my pain can help someone else from doing what I did.

I had an open HostGator account that I'd had (2) domains parked and (1) active website. I secured an additional domain name for future use, thinking it was part of my HostGator account only to discover that I had secured the domain with the sister company Gator Builders. They charged me for the hosting service that I already had with HostGator Hatchling Plan. I tried to explain it to the customer service and all they were able to refund me was for the last month. Tried talking to the Escalation manager to see if I could get someone to understand why I should receive a refund further back than this month, and again nothing.

The Crazy thing was I could reach each of my accounts through the Hostgator website Hostgator.com logging in thru (Portal/ Website Builder). But when I tried to explain what happened all they told me was that it was their sister company and they didn't have access to those records. He was able to transfer me to the sister company not before he tried to sell me the Alum Plan for moving all my other sites over to HostGator. The bottom line here is clearly to listen to your wife the first time and don't procrastinate with looking into it. Lastly, don't do business with companies that arent willing to do the right thing. If they're more interested in the money than the customer... Run...!

Hey Ray,

We understand how this can be confusing. We are more than happy to help! We have asked an Escalations Manager to reach out and assist.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I have been with HostGator for many years, as in about 12. Ever since the company was sold to a large corporation, it's been a long, slow slide downhill. I've been designing websites for nearly 18 years. Tech support is a joke. Today I discovered the art site I spent YEARS building so people can license my art is done. They LOST the entire database that supported the site. I regret not backing that up. After 9 or 10 years of that site being online, it was never an issue. The site cannot function properly without the database they lost. ALL that work, just gone. I have the entire site sitting on my drive, but no time to modify it so that it might be able to run without the database. This was the second time this happened, but that last time they had the database backed up. Clearly they no longer back ANYTHING up!! I'm heading with my sites and my clients to a much better hosting company. Avoid HostGator like it's the black plague!!

Hey Melissa,

This is something we would love to investigate. If you could, please send us an email to reputation@newfold.com with your primary email address and we will be happy to take care of this.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

Will try to make it beneficial for you. Start learning... HostGator is not as good as you see in the reviews as compare to BlueHost, MochaHost, etc. *Not Sponsored* these are more secure and provide good services, each and every thing that you need to make your online presence. And not too much difference in prices as you have to go with them and you have to use a shared server just like property but there is no reselling :( [I never recommend you to purchase for 3 years]

Let me explain the problems of hostgatarians... If you are facing any of the issue, it is normal, most of their users have same complains. (UPVOTE it)

You will be good with them if you are using the single domain with shared hosting hahah and they do backups only for 100000 inodes (aprox. MySQL® Disk Usage 450 MB & Disk Usage 5 GB while they claim unlimited space to trap you -> today learn more about their traps) if you go double, 200000 inodes, CS will redirect you to TOS that they do not allow more space, lol as you are trapped. Bear Them now! They provide you extraordinary service for 45 days, why not, these days are money back guarantee days. After 45 days, now your time is started to plan to leave their services.

If you grow and reach to 3 GB disk storage and ready to go with your websites then it is time to get 500 IS error when you need to update the data and need to kill the processes each time and it will take 3x time. If you contact to the customer support, they will ask you to upgrade your server to the dedicated one or to VPS (believe me you will not face these problems with blue or mocha) its normal with HG my friend learn more...

After 3 months your website will be started to be infected by malwares and the email password will be started stolen. If you ask them to clean malwares that can be resolved by replacing the files...haha and they will recommend you to use sitelock (bcz they need commission) while making WP secure is so easy, you can have free and the best available plugins like Wordfence. You can keep secure your site by scanning and by using it.

About CSs all of their CS not knowledgeable, it's ok, as in team, it is difficult to filter the team members, and interesting they will never redirect the chat to the related department as Bluehost CSs. And each CS has different statement and I was unable to find teamwork within them, worse reality. And they will make changes to your Purchase without getting permissions from you. If you are planning to go with HG, please must think about your time and investment and try to get short term services if you want to test on your behalf and I recommend you to choose the one, provides you short term service like Mocha... or go with the best one Blue by closing your eyes.

Hey Khan,

We see you left the same review on another platform. We have reached out asking for more information so we can better assist. We attempted to look for a HostGator account but could not find one. Please feel free to reply back with more information or send us an email to reputation@newfold.com with your primary email address and domain on the account and we will see how we can further assist as we are happy to do so!

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

Since the company has moved most of the services out of the United States, the service is terrible. Simple tasks with SEO purchases, website and email assistance has become a complete nightmare. Example, I notified HostGator of a cyber attack which was going to take affect two months before the attack was going to happen. I even provided the open hole of the cPanel path the attack was going to use. The IT department did nothing. The attack occurred. I do cyber security plus engineering. Just wanted to help. After the attack occurred, Hostgator said, the company waits until system failure, then react. Yikes, my advise. Stay away from hostgator.

Hey John,

We hate to hear you had such a poor experience. We would love to see how we can help and make things right. If you could send us an email to reputation@newfold.com with the primary email address on the account and the domain, we will get to work right away.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I received an e-mail informing that my website is unavailable due to the high consumption of CPU. I did the adjustment on robots.txt to disallow indexing on the site like, following the Hostgator requirements on e-mail. That was the second time trying to solve the problem. I received the information that the admin would solve the problem the first time I contacted support. Now I chatted for almost two hours and received the information that the admin will solve the problem and there isn´t a deadline for that. I NEED to wait AGAIN and I don´t know how long it will be. That is a commercial website and that arbitrary decision from Hostgator is causing problems to my deal.

Hey Leonardo,

We would love to get this taken care of for you as soon as possible. If you could send us an email to reputation@newfold.com with your primary email address and the domain that is having issues, we will get to work right away!

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I closed my account a year ago because they sold my info and I was inundated with calls, texts, and emails. A year later they bill me for services and sucked money out of my bank account. I called them and they 1)acknowledged my account was closed, 2)acknowledged that I don't use the domain 3)acknowledged that they see the refund from a year ago. However, they are unable to refund me for this charge because I already paid. What kind of nonsense is this???

Hey George,

We would love to take a look into this and make things right. We have asked an Escalations Manager to reach out and settle this for you.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

I have purchased a Windows hosting plan and there was issue with domain name being registered and it got pointed to the hosting plan as well as attempting to add 2 other domains to the hosting plan. When communicated with support it was supposed to cancel the incorrect domain name and register the correct one and fix the hosting plan accordingly, they kept going on loop on how it takes 24/48 without taking any action to change and not even fix on the account was provided until it gets propagated accordingly and after 5 more communication with the support team they only changed the primary domain on the host to yet another incorrect one and only to get it right on the second.

After 2 days of going back and forth with them about it and refused to cancel the incorrect domain and told me it was non refundable while one of the support team said it will be cancelled as I requested the same day as the incorrect domain was registered yet there is another error to add the other 2 domains. When attempting to add them there is error produced "DNS Name already exists" while it's not showing in the Plesk to work on. When attempting to contact them again the response was, "Oh we don't support this service" which was Windows Plesk service and yet the issue persist to this day and not being solved. Every communication is "will add note to admins to help get it fixed" and yet no action is being taken.

Hey Hani,

We would love to take a look into this for you and see how we can help! If you could send us an email to reputation@newfold.com with your primary email address and the domains you are having issues with, we would be more than happy to take a look at this.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

We had a change in personnel and we couldn't access our account since we didn't have the email or pin. I called to get everything reset. I've submitted the documentation HostGator has asked for. It is now going on 4 weeks going back and forth with HostGator. I'm so frustrated with their service/support. Every day I feel I am no closer to getting access than I was the day before. You can never talk directly to the person working on the case. They will never give you a day they think they might have things resolved. I've never received a call back, just email asking for more stuff. Hindsight 20/20, I should have just quit paying and gone with a different company and started a new domain with new email addresses. It would have been easier and less frustrating. If you are considering HostGator good luck if you need support higher than tier 1.

Hey Jeffrey,

We take account security very seriously here at HostGator. We can understand how this may not be ideal. We have escalated your case and you should be receiving a response soon.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

I was trying to move my domain name to GoDaddy, but when I access my account it says "It appears this domain name is deleted, to register a new domain please go here", they said that my domain was registered under their old registrar, the problem is that I can't manage my domain, can't do any change or even renew it... I spent almost a week trying to solve this. They asked me to send the original invoice but it is from 2011,10 years ago, I don't have that anymore.

Hey Elio,

We are more than happy to look into this for you and see what we can come up with. We have asked an Escalations Manager to reach out and assist.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

Be warned! Once you pay and become a HostGator customer, your nightmare begins. Terrible hosting service, they aim to extract more money from you. The service is outrageous and has a NO refund company policy.

Hey Tony,

We definitely have a refund policy in place. We would love to help you out and see what we can do. We have created a case and asked an Escalations Manager to reach out and assist.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

My website for over a year lost SSL, was dysfunctional, and unreachable by my clients on nearly a weekly basis. I spent hours with HostGator on a weekly basis toward the year mark with the same dysfunctional but basic website issues. What was I paying for? I was fed up with short term "fixes" and customer chat reps "begging" to keep my service and buy time. I refused to continue with them and demanded a refund.

I contacted before 45 days of renewal, I began transfer of my website to another host, they told me once my transfer was complete to contact them yet again to get the shared hosting refund of $143, HostGator was not able to speed up my transfer, then they refused to refund my hosting costs because they told me my transfer took too long (which they told me would take a standard 7 days). This is astonishing behavior and poor treatment. I have screenshots and case numbers of all these timely chat conversations. Now my case is still not being refunded. Negligent behavior is evident.

Hey Zodiac,

We see the issue here and we are going to fix it. We have created a case and asked an Escalations Manager to reach out and make things right.

Resolution response: Nov. 23, 2021

Problem solved.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

I have bought a plan from Host Gator to host domain **. I have used domain email address to register this hosting plan. Since then none of our emails are not working. This has put our business in a difficult situation of not receiving emails. Our employees and clients are upset. You have no idea how many times and how much each time I have spent in the chat with Host Gator ending up with no success.

No one couldn’t help and finally I had to ask Google for support and they have given me solutions like updating MX records. I have passed this information again via Host Gator chat support and “Shiva” confirmed everything is set up and is working. I just need to wait 4 to 8 hrs. Still emails are not working after 16 hrs. I never had such bad experience like this before and chat support is terrible and is not really helping to solve the issue.

I cannot even log in to the backend of site as I am using domain email address. How can we even built a website without login not working? Asked for a login which was never provided after the issue. They say wait until the email to work and then I can login. But it has passed well over the timeframe that they advised. How will we use our emails again? Our business is in pause because of the lack of support from Host Gator. I have sent them a final email now to see if there is any final help. I wonder what they are going to host without helping customer to have a backend log in to set up a website???

Hey Kavya,

We are so happy to hear your problem is solved. If you run into any other issues do not hesitate to reach out!

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I read a book and watched training videos but the program does not work the same way. I can not afford to put a lot more money into this to let them make it. I would not renew this account and I wish I never got it.

Hey Sherry,

We hate to hear you are having issues. We would love to help! If you could send us an email to reputation@newfold.com with your primary email address on file and domain name, we will be more than happy to get started!

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

I want others to know what gross negligence occurs at Host Gator. I spent over 5 hours with chat/phone. Each and every time I'm assured issue is fixed. My website continues to crash every 10 minutes. Every chat has been disconnected (even though I type every 30 seconds - 1minute), phone holds are upwards of 1 hours and I have NO website. Service is deplorable, at best. If I could give -5 stars, I really would. This is not how you treat a non-profit children's charity. There is no way I could ever recommended Host Gator and I hope anyone reading this RUNS to anyone but here.

Hey Christyn,

We really hate to hear you had such a poor experience. We want to fix that for you. We have asked an Escalations Manager to reach out and make sure everything is taken care of.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I can't express my frustration enough with HostGator. I'm telling all of my friends and anyone else I know to STAY AWAY from HostGator. I paid over 600 dollars for the hosting service on 16 August 2021. My site became "unreachable" on 5 October - meaning it worked for almost 7 weeks. When I called HostGator I was told it was a Google mistake. I called Google and they said that they didn't have any idea what happened. I had HostGator on the phone and Google help on chat. The HostGator said SEE THE QUOTES "We don't HOST the site, we HANDLE the site." I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.

After 3 hours of going back and forth, I asked for a supervisor and was told "it is not POSSIBLE" to speak with a supervisor. Finally, he said that he needed to take notes before contacting transferring me. I was put on hold but could hear the key pad then was hung up on. I called back and got a different agent and they had no problem with transfering me to the supervisor who took my info and said they would "open a ticket." I was contacted 24 hours later by Roshan and basically told that they would refund my money. Finally Google helped me reset my website to the old IP address and it's up and running.

Hey Ernest,

This is not the type of experience we want our customers to have. We would like to make things right. If you could send us an email to reputataion@newfold.com with your primary email address on file, we will have someone contact you to see how we can fix things.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

My account was suspended a few days ago without warning. The terms of service are hidden. I found out that I had too many files, and I fixed the problem several days ago. I emailed and called numerous times over the past four days, and my account is still dead. I paid a year upfront. That was a mistake, but how was I to know? My other hosting companies have never done anything like this. All of them have responsive technical support, clear terms of service, easy to read performance data, and reliable online performance.

Normal hosting companies warn a user if their file or computing limits have been reached. Hostgator kills your account—even if it is paid for ahead of time. I have never seen any product with such poor delivery and service. To be fair, the technical support workers (probably contract workers) are competent, and they try hard. The admins who they report to are brain dead. I managed to speak with a sales agent who was rude. I will try to get a refund, but I doubt they will respond. There are many, many hosting services. Any one of them would be a better choice. What is it called when you pay for a product and do not get it? Stay away. You will lose your money, time, and data. The worst.

Hey Tim,

We are sorry to hear you had such a poor experience. We do put everything in our terms of service in regards to performance data and other things pertaining to a possible TOS Violation. We would love to get you taken care of. If you could send us an email to reputation@newfold.com with your primary email address on file and your ticket number so we can better assist.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

It was a very unpleasant experience for me, buying a domain name at HostGator. They charged me for a domain name that has been purchased back in 1996, they didn't even bother to verify that?. Of course they will refund the money that they have charged, but what about the time that I have invested. I had been working for the last 1 week on how my website should look. I call them after a week just to know that it's been registered long back under someone else. This is not the service that I have been looking for.

Hey Sindhu,

We hate to hear you had a poor experience. We looked forward to resolving your issues however it appears you have cancelled. We wish you luck with your hosting and domain endeavors.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

I have registered an yearly plan with Hostgator few months back. All of a sudden they started suspending my websites (This is the fourth time), claiming my the websites are over using the shared server. What surprises me is, their email report shows websites which are dormant. I have restricted them from public. There is only one active site which has no much traffic and another which I am currently developing. I wonder, if one active website with less than 10 visitors a day can overuse a server what about ten? Mind you! The package is for hosting multiple websites.

The worst part of the story is, it is in now 35hrs since suspension they haven't managed to restore the service, I have replied their email (As they requested) three times and yet no response, I went on chat support twice but still no straight forward answers (they asked me to optimize my cpu, I have been doing that ever since). But one thing I had noticed though is, every customer service I communicate with, is convincing me to upgrade to a dedicated plan. I believe the idea was to make me register by convincing me with a cheaper hosting plan and after that start frustrating me with their service, so I can get an expensive package. I was very comfortable with my previous host, I got convinced to choose HostGator because of the price. I really regret this decision.

Hey Ayoub,

We hate to hear you are experiencing these issues. We are more than happy to help. We have asked an Escalations Manager to reach out and make sure we have your sites up and running.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

April was lovely and helpful. She was patient and I also learned a great deal from her about how to do this. She basically corrected a problem that came about, but that HostGator failed to communicate to me. Therefore I'm very happy with her but not so happy with HostGator. They failed to do the migration that I requested and they DID NOT let me know there was a problem - !!!. Luckily I noticed my site was completely broken and got on the phone however it was offline and Host Gator really should've sent a note to alert me that they needed further action from GoDaddy to effect the migration. I had followed all the instructions from the previous call with another HG rep, but they also didn't tell me I needed info from HG and to use it to change the nameservers at GoDaddy. Thanks to April it got done.

Hey Dana,

We are so happy to hear April got everything taken care of! Thank you for your wonderful feedback!

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Host Gator was my 1st choice when I decided to build another website. I had one several years ago and was absolutely pleased with everything about it from purchase, to interface, to tech support. When my church needed a website, you were the only logical choice. And, yes, I would recommend your service to anyone.

Hey James,

We really appreciate the recommendations! Thank you so much for your awesome review!

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

This hosting site offers several ways to get all of my ideas for security and other ways to add content! It is very easy to add to and improve the way that a client can interact to able to host his/her own meeting! I would highly recommend this service to all of my colleagues! Major kudos to the designers of this hosting service!! Sincerely, Louis

Hi Louis,

Thanks so much! We're so happy that you're happy. We truly appreciate the great review.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

The price for advanced features makes HostGator unusable. I now have to go with another company. Problem: The MYSQL database is running an outdated version of software, and per customer support “in order to update the server for my website to run, I have to upgrade account to VPS ($80/month) or Dedicated ($180/month)”. Price breakdown: >$500 for 3 years of hosting, plus ~$80/month(monthly) for VPS. Host Gator has many plans available. I thought by buying the higher tier business plan that I would have all the things I needed for my website. I planned to stay with them for >3 years, as the price seemed competitive. I feel robbed for the money I paid, and hustled for the extra money necessary for updating their servers.

Hey Ryan,

We would love to see what we can do to help out here. If you could send us an email to reputation@endurance.com with your primary email address, we will get to work on seeing what we can do.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

In a few words: "500 Internal Server Error". Multiple times a day, for months. Even before configuring the WordPress site. The server has gone down 20 times that I have seen in four months. Probably three times that number judging by the almost daily error messages from JetPack. AVOID! They are the worst web host I have seen, and I am in the process of migrating both of my sites.

Hello,

We reached out to this customer via phone and email and never received a response. We will try again today to reach this customer so we can ensure that their concerns are resolved. We're terribly disappointed to hear that they've had such a rough time and we'd love to make things right. Thanks.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

Hi, I wanted to configure my SSL. I could not find a way to move SSL's from on site to another. I could not get help. I waited about 15 minutes and gave up. I had a couple of site I wanted to discontinue and 5 sites I wanted to activated. Looks like I will have to buy some more SSL when I get it configured.

Hey Arthur,

Have no fear, we are here! We would love to help. We have asked an Escalations Manager to reach out.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: July 14, 2021

STAY AWAY! I've tried to do business: nothing but trouble. They take your money, then your site doesn't work; they take a little more then it might work for a second. Then they act surprise you have difficulty--just this kind of thing over and over and over. I have a different company hosting for me now. Hostgator will take your money, then leave you in the wind with nothing...

Hey VR,

We are very surprised to receive this review. That doesn't sound like us at all. We are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience however we do wish you the best of luck on your future hosting endeavors!

Resolution response: June 12, 2021

It seems Hostgator resolved the issue overnight. I went in and modified the SEO information the next morning and the problem recurred. After some time spent on chat with tech support, the knowledgeable tech found a file with excessive redirect code and renamed it. The problem is gone, at least for now. Upgraded the rating to 3 of 5 as the issue should never have gone as long as it did.

Original review: June 12, 2021

Here it is June 11, 2021. On June 2, 2021, my wife and I purchased a premium domain name for her business. We had that domain i****e.com transferred to HostGator same day so we could move our website (i****e.net) to that URL. This should be a fairly straightforward process. We did pay HostGator for the domain move and have an email receipt dated 6/2/21. HostGator never told us they needed the transfer code, but after it hadn't moved in about 36 hours, a call to tech support resulted in them getting that transfer code and after a wait, we had the domain where it needed to be. I know this because the place that had it showed it no longer on their books. I then asked HostGator tech support to help me point the website on their builder to the new domain. THEY COULDN'T FIND THE DOMAIN. I had to show them the receipt and they finally figured out that i****e.com was a HostGator registered domain.

The next step was to change the website I built to use the new domain name. I simply changed the name servers from the .net site and gave them to the .com site and verified with tech support that I had done it correctly (I had). That effort has resulted in my website being down for I figure, about 5 days. I've been told that the server is under maintenance and the latest is that the tech support people can't get my CPanel to open. I was told this last night (over 24 hours ago) and the tech apparently didn't think to submit a ticket on it at that time. I guess he thought that the problem was with the server. Never mind that at that very moment I had a brief period of up-time. I told him I could see my CPanel and that if he couldn't then there was a definite problem in HIS end. At that same time I was smart enough to make and download a backup of my site.

Basically, now they can't even get access to my account to do anything. When I ask about server status, I get ambiguous noncommittal answers but I know that in the elapsed time, they could go to a provider, buy and get another server and likely get it installed and configured. Of course, a company like HostGator should have backup servers they can use to restore a website when there are protracted issues. Heck, moving the site to another server and throwing the bad one out is likely more efficient than the path they are going down now.

Where does it all end? I'm stuck with an error message that my website isn't redirecting properly, I can't get to it to see anything, they tell me they can't get to it, and my site has been off-line (with small exceptions) for the last 4-5 DAYS! Maybe more as I wasn't really monitoring up-time during all of this change process. I know that propagation takes time and that you sometimes have to simply wait for the Internet to figure it out.

To be fair, the tech support people have done the best they could but it has become obvious that they actually can't do much. Real problems require an escalated ticket and the manager I spoke with today told me that he cut a higher priority ticket for me, then proceeded to tell me that it would be a 24-48 hour wait for a response. Basically, that's the same level of response I would have gotten from his tech so that appeasement tactic was really nothing more than lip service.

We are seriously considering simply folding the whole site and taking our business elsewhere, spending the weekend setting up a new site and getting HostGator in our rearview mirror. Here it is Friday night. If, by 8AM tomorrow, I have no website, then I'll be spending the weekend building a new one at somewhere that costs a little more but has a LOT better service, maybe Godaddy...

Hey Kent,

We are sorry you had issues starting out but we are happy to hear they have been resolved. We appreciate the updated rating!

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: May 26, 2021

I paid for a package but the website never worked or installed. I emailed customer service multiple times. They never helped. Finally, I asked them to delete the blog & stop billing me for it. They never deleted the blog, billed me for it 2 more times, & refused to give me a refund.

Hey Jane,

We want to make this right. We reached out asking for more information and once we get a reply we will get to work on fixing this.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: May 1, 2021

I’ve been with HostGator for close to 9 years now and they used to be really reliable. However, over the last few years their service has gone straight to hell! Especially in the last year. I’ve contacted them over 10 times in the last few months for the SAME issue. I honestly have to contact them 2 to 3 times a week now to have my access restored, because of service interruptions. I saw a recent article claiming that they are up at least 99.8% of the time, which HAS to have been written by an employee because that’s a FLAT-OUT LIE!!! Although, my billing portal is ALWAYS Functioning! I spend so much time calling and chatting to have my service restored that they should be paying me! It’s extremely frustrating and time consuming.

I’ve recently had several representatives tell me that my service is inaccessible because my IP was being block due to over 200 failed login attempts in an hour, which is a flat out lie! They also claimed my email client was corrupt, so I deleted it and began accessing my emails from my cPanel. This is when I found out just how often my service goes down. My emails are constantly interrupted and disappear. My cPanel is CONSTANTLY down.

One thing is for certain, once my contract is up, I will NOT be renewing! I’m actively looking for a more suitable alternative! I’ve been promised several times that I would be contacted by email to follow up and that NEVER happens. HostGator is now a joke and a waste of time. If you’re looking for hosting and would like reliable service, I would definitely advise you to AVOID the Nightmare and SEEK OTHER OPTIONS!!!

Hey Monica,

We are sorry you had such a rough experience. Once we get more information from you, we will have someone reach out.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: April 8, 2021

These people will quietly put a bunch of add on services in your package and bill you for them! They will not give you any refunds even if you tell them these were unauthorized purchases. These are thiefs!

Hey Anna,

We will be happy to look into your account once we receive a response to our private message we sent!

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

Lots of issues with HostGator, but to summarize:

1. Breach of agreement by upgrading my server without contacting me or posting in server upgrade forums prior.
2. Data loss on my server.
3. Intermittent 500 errors (Latest February 16th 2021). Total server crash.
4. Poor customer support. You cannot talk to the Windows team directly. You have to wait days/weeks for a fix.

5. App pool not restarting correctly (bugs).

[1. Breach of agreement via upgrading without contacting me or posting in forums beforehand]

[2. Data loss on my server] I last wrote a complaint to Host Gator over a year ago where it was promised to me afterwards that ANY upgrades to my server would require Host Gator to contact me. This was agreed and accepted as I lost a lot of data when their backup went wrong. They upgraded my server as confirmed by Jared T via email WITHOUT contacting me again. I lost data around October 2020. I was not emailed about this upgrade, I was not emailed about data loss, I was not emailed about restoring from a backup. Nothing. Total silence. I had to find out this data loss by myself when I realized I had a lot of content missing. I have a full email log exchange with Windows support whom have yet to be helpful in this regard. This have just been avoiding the question on data loss despite asking twice.

[3. Intermittent 500 errors] Host Gator state the reason for this is because: "my website (APP POOL) was going down because 300+ SIMULTANEOUS bots were crawling my wiki page and my homepage. GINKOSOLUTIONS.COM". However, I have Google analytics set up on these EXACT pages, and Google reports 300-500 visitors for the ENTIRE MONTH. I know it's a blatant lie to excuse their buggy servers. I have evidence to support this. This claim is ABSURD!!!! The stats are WAY OFF! It's lies!

They claim the APP POOL will restart 5 times automatically. Again, false. When I restart the app pool MANUALLY, it WORKS AGAIN! My website will just die randomly until I notice this myself and restart the app pool manually myself. My website barely has any visitors, it's just buggy servers and shoddy workmanship.

Server is down again. February 16th 2021. App pool restart won't fix it, so it's the Windows team breaking things again. On-going issue!!! I cannot contact the Windows team. When I contact support, I get something like: "No worries, I already did all the things we can do here on our end, and I even raised it as well to our Supervisor to follow it up directly to our Windows team." (Keneth). However, the Windows team haven't replied to my emails since: Jan 11, 2021, 7:05 AM, so over a month ago now. So yes, I last emailed them a month ago with no reply at all. Windows team last emailed on: Jan 11, 2021, 7:05 AM. Customer service last emailed on: Jan 27, 2021, 7:03 PM. It's now February 16th 2021!!!! And my website is DOWN with 500 server errors!!!

I told them to put a note on my account to tell me about server upgrades etc. They even said: "As requested, I've placed a note on your entire hosting account stating the following: DO NOT UPDATE THIS CUSTOMERS PLESK OR SERVER WITHOUT ISSUING AN EMAIL UPDATE." Dec 24, 2020, 10:34 AM (Shandra W). Did they pay attention or do that? NO! I asked them about it later on, they said: "So far there's no note like that as per checking." (Keneth) Total joke of a company and run by a bunch of clowns!

Hi Sean,

Wow, what a mess. We've reached out to Windows support and are working on getting you the help you need. We have also asked an Escalations Manager to take charge and ensure that everything is resolved as soon as possible. Thank you for your ongoing patience. We'll be in touch soon.

HostGator Company Information