Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.38/5

HostGator Reviews

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have screenshots of all live chats and broken website logs on request. HostGator decided to upgrade my shared server without notifying me: **. They upgraded Plesk, again didn't tell me anything, no emails, no alerts, no posts, NOTHING! Problems: - Due to this upgrade, my website went down immediately, I had to find out about this by myself. My emails no longer worked. My databases also went down due to permissions issues. Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) - (MYSQL and MSSQL) - MSSQL BROKEN. My PHP webs no longer work, they display theme errors. I believe this is because they have upgraded their plugins WITHOUT contacting me. Now my MediaWIKI themes throw errors.

I contacted customer support four times in total. As it's a Windows server, they offer ZERO support for these servers via live chat, and instead, they have to relay emails to a separate team that cannot talk to me. I have to wait 24 hours for an email back. Thu, Jan 10, 12:24 AM After 24 hours, Jason ** from the Windows team got back to me with: "I apologize, as there was an issue with like 59 in your Web.config, which has bee corrected. The site appears to be loading at this time." He ignored 90% of my request. My databases are still down and my website shows database errors. I'm not sure why they are touching my files on my server without my permission either. My customers cannot use my software as my licence server authenticates them. I received 36 emails from angry customers due to HostGator's poor maintenance and poor communication from their Windows Admin.

Fri, Jan 11, 4:43 AM Felicia ** from the Windows team got back to me with: "Due to the recent upgrade to your server there have been some issues we've had to address." They seem to be trying to deny MYSQL databases not loading by saying: "appears to load and I am not seeing any errors. Should we be clicking something to see the issue? If there is a login please provide the details so that we can further investigate." However, I have screenshots before this email, and after it, it seems like they are desperately trying to fix their mistakes and take no accountability.

As it stands, the MS SQL databases do not work. The PHP plugins for my wiki, still show errors. I still cannot provide a service to my customers and have received 85 emails complaining about server downtime due to HostGator. I made a request for compensation via the HostGator uptime guarantee which can be found here: **. From this link, it states: "If a shared or reseller server falls short of the 99.9% uptime guarantee, you may receive one (1) month of credit for that package on your account." Felicia ** from the Windows team got back to me with: "Unfortunately, the uptime guarantee would not cover this case." This is a barefaced lie. Not only can they not communicate with their customers about performing major server upgrades, but they do not know their own policies.

A 99.9% uptime guarantee would mean my website would be down for more than 15 minutes throughout the year. My website is still down and has been for over 2 days now. My website is still down and has been for over 2 days now and I cannot speak with a windows team directly to get this fixed. I have to wait 24 hours for each response, to which, they are not providing truthful or helpful advice. This beyond infuriating. This cannot continue. Demands: I am demanding that this is fully investigated. I am demanding that ALL customers should be informed directly about ANY server changes which may affect their customers. I am demanding customers be allowed live chat communication with the Windows server team. I am demanding that I am compensated for this horrible mess and my website is FULLY WORKING as it was before. I am demanding that the Windows Admin be relieved of duty and fired from their position.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I signed up for domain hosting services. I requested HostGator to do the domain transfer. HostGator didn't process the domain transfer after multiple requests. I called few times but HostGator still couldn't process the request. Fed up, I signed up with a different domain hosting service and the new host transferred the domain overnight! I contacted HostGator for a refund, HostGator refused to process the refund. My experience says "buyer beware". Poor customer service, stay away, DO NOT recommend.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

It is a very difficult and SLOW process when you request their free website migration. I previously had HostGator's shared hosting plan and tried to upgrade to their Cloud hosting. I filled out the form to move my primary website and add-on domains to the new cloud server and got zero response after several days. So, I called tech support, and they said sorry they can't help me, that migration is a different department and they don't take phone calls or do chat.

It looks like I will have no choice but to manually recreate all of my Joomla websites from scratch using back-up files on the cloud server and creating new databases for each website. A time-consuming nightmare for somebody who is not technologically knowledgeable. It will literally take me days to recreate everything. I'm not sure it's worth it for the slight increase in website speed. I will probably just cancel the 3 year subscription I paid for, and go with another web hosting company that is easier to use and has better customer support. In a nutshell, the so-called free migration service sounds good in the advertisement, but in reality it's a joke.

Also, you cannot choose your username when you order cloud hosting. They randomly assign you a computer-generated series of letters and numbers that is your username for life. They don't tell you this up front. You only discover it after you receive the verify email from them after you've paid your money. This might not seem like a big deal on the surface, but when they go to migrate your website files from the old account cPanel to the new cPanel, the usernames will not match up with your old account, which apparently causes verification problems with the migration. It's all ridiculous and unnecessary - never seen anything like this in my 10 years of developing and hosting websites.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I had cancelled my service package with HostGator on 02/05/2017. They confirmed that it had been cancelled however, they charged me for another year of service on 12/20/2018. When inquiring about the charge, they told me that I needed to physically call them and request them to remove my credit card information from their system on top of cancelling the package. They retained my credit card information and unrightfully billed me for another year of service that I did not receive. Also, when I was cancelling my service with them they failed to mentioned that I needed to do a "secondary cancellation" to remove my credit card information from their files. Although, the support woman on the phone mentioned that every customer should be told about the required secondary cancellation, she said there is no way for her to refund me.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

They deleted all my web files 7 days after I did not renew for another year. Who does that? Bad web host, driven by profit motive only. Customer service is poor and they force you to use chat. I have moved all other websites to SiteGround.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

One of the reasons I chose HostGator was because of reading many recommendations that their customer service was great. What a joke! I mistakenly chose an add-on (Constant Contact - Not sure how I did this because I'm very careful about reading the fine print!) for which I was charged $20. I requested through an online chat that I wanted a refund and I wanted to cancel it. I was told that Add-ons are not refundable. I didn't argue because I supposedly chose this Add-on. OK, I could take the $20 hit if it was my fault. I was told that I would receive an email when my account was cancelled. I received an email in May 2018 that my account was cancelled. I didn't think anything else of it until I was looking through my bank account months later and notice they were still taking $20/month out of my account for the last 3 months. They had stolen $60 from me over 3 months.

This time I called them and was apologized to and said it was because I didn't reply to the cancellation email. What? Why do I have to reply to an email that says your Add-On is cancelled?? I told you to cancel it! I told the person on the phone that I wanted the $60 refunded. He said he would contact the Accounting Dept and that I would be receiving an email. The email came almost a week later. It said they don't refund Add-ons! Again, what? I cancelled this Add-on 3 months ago and because I didn't respond to your email you are just going to continuing taking money from my account? Got on live chat again and was apologized to and told they don't refund Add-ons. Now, I'm trying to cancel my account and every place on the site that has a Cancellation button or link to cancellation form doesn't work. I have to call or email them. I'm going to cancel and continue trying to get my money back! I'm also going to report them to the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Just to inform you, I got separated from the last agent. I have had nothing but problems since I have used HostGator. I originally purchased the Baby Plan and had issues that your team could not solve. I then purchased the Wordpress Hosting plan hoping that it was better security as you say but still had issues that your team could not fix so they directed me to contact Sitelock who then proceeds to tell me that the Firewall that I do have in place was not good enough and I needed to upgrade which I caught the gentlemen in a lie because he said that it would only be $30 for a year and then tells me that it would be $30 a month. He stated that the security that comes with my hosting plan is conflicting with the SSL. How is this possible, I just signed up?

What your company and Sitelock are doing is not right, taking advantage of people. I want my money back! There has been many issues with HostGator and their support team claims that they fix it but then it is not fixed, say that it is another issue when it is not, or direct you to contact a WordPress specialist which cost a good amount of money. They take advantage of people and you should be aware. So disappointing.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Their team is super slow, I still have unresolved issues from one month ago. They make promises and don't deliver them, please stay away from them. Their service is a complete nightmare which you can't escape. Run for the life of your website. They couldn't do a simple domain renewal because they have a third-party company that is super slow.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have been a HostGator customer for less than a month. Have been having absolutely pathetic support from their team on 2 separate occasions: I had subscribed to their Optimized Wordpress plan. Unfortunately this plan doesn't come with Cpanel (I didn't know this beforehand) and due to this I had to depend on HostGator support team for migrating my existing Wordpress site.

I had raised at ticket and waited for almost 5 days and multiple follow ups with no luck. Their SLA says it will take 72hrs or longer (no fixed timeline). None of their techs would provide a time estimate for completion or neither would they escalate the issue or prioritize. They are very insensitive and the standard response I got was 'Our SLA is 72 hrs or longer and we don't commit any time to our customers'... When I told them that I will cancel my order if it is not resolved quickly they said I can do so and helped me to cancel the order. They were fine to let go of a customer but not willing to fix a support issue promptly.

The second issue I had is with installing SSL certificate. This was part of my purchase plan. Unfortunately we are supposed to go thru their support desk for installing this as well (no automation) and they have some support issue with SSL and it was being worked by some other team. Their support desk doesn't have visibility on the status/updates and they wouldn't give ETA. I was asked to check back later to see if this was fixed. They wouldn't even give me a ticket until I forced them. After creating a ticket as well I wanted a proactive fix whenever the SSL issue is resolved and update email on the same. Here again the support team wouldn't commit and I was told that I need to call back and follow up if this is not fixed in few days!!! This is one of the worst support I've had from a service provider in the recent past... Not sure how they can survive in business with this type of support.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

It was so convoluted to get the site set up - I saved two blogs and they were not saved when I went back to try to tackle new blogs or posts. I was just a couple of weeks past the 45 day refund time and even though I never published the site or the blog, they would not refund my money. Advice - make sure you learn WordPress before you even think about HostGator!!!

HostGator Company Information