Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

HostGator provides web-hosting services to clients in multiple countries. Users can create an unlimited number of emails affiliated with their website. The control panel is easy to use, and the drag-and-drop website builder tool is straightforward. The basic Hatchling plan starts at $2.75 a month, and HostGator has a 45-day money-back guarantee.

HostGator Learn More

HostGator Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?

Original review: March 21, 2019

HostGator shut my site down without notice. Then sent message that it was using too many resources on server. But then would not answer any of my emails. Site was down for days even after I made changes.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

The migration admins were support to migrate a few domains including 250+ email users with a deadline. They had done it halfway through even with a hard deadline set. The users were left with no email access for days. They just ended up passing me around and sending me self-help article links. Worst tech support I've had in years, especially after paying for a VPS server.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

So SiteLock decides that my websites were infected, I run scanners by SiteLock. I pay SiteLock, I find out that the "Virus" was my own files, I cancel the scanners. Meanwhile, HostGator charges me $187 out of nowhere for the same service and denies to refund me because I noticed too late. Here is their reply after calling both companies endlessly.

"Hello, I am sorry to know you wish to cancel SiteLock Prevent. We have canceled the 'SiteLock Prevent' for the domain 'devilsfruits.com'. You will no longer be billed to this service. I would like to inform you that according to our Terms of Service, the add-on services that are purchased are non-refundable. Once it is activated, we are unable to issue refund for the payment made. If you have any queries, please let us know." I still don't have an invoice about this charge, still don't know how I purchased it and it is supposed to run for 12 months. So they cancel the next 11 months and keep the money. I would like to sue HostGator and SiteLock for dishonesty but is it worth my time?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

On Thursday 1/10/2019 HostGator upgraded the server running the website. As a result 7 databases went corrupt because they were imported with the wrong encoding apparently. A subdomain does not work, and the php suites are behaving strangely. The site sometimes work, sometimes not, sometimes switches the language, and we have no idea why. In addition all the emails are marked as unread, so our employees does not know which emails they checked and which they did not which is making them repeat lots of work.

Contacted support multiple times via chat and international calls, who fixed only one database at first. Had to contact them again in order to six the other databases - which they finally did today 1/14/2019- Still the subdomain not working and the websites still showing php errors and strange behavior. The response time for the support team is too slow. I could not talk to the support team directly. We got no notification that the server will be upgraded. Still waiting for them to fix the sites.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

WE signed up to do a Company website for our business. The cost was $32.85 a month. Everything was fine for a month or two but last month they added a charge Of $20 plus the original $32.85. I called to ask why and told them to credit me the $20 because I didn't ask for whatever they was charging that for. Well I called today because my wife discovered our Website was gone. The Rep told me our Website was cancelled. I told her again I called last time and they told me they would refund the $20 (not everything and close account). I asked her what they could do since I didn't cancel. She said "You would have to start all over!!!"

I told her, "If that's the case we would go somewhere else - Good-bye and thanks for nothing!" Kinda stupid to close someone's account that they didn't request and lose business!! PS. I should've looked more closely at reviews. All I saw today was 1 STARs that says a lot! Wasted time with this Company.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have screenshots of all live chats and broken website logs on request. HostGator decided to upgrade my shared server without notifying me: **. They upgraded Plesk, again didn't tell me anything, no emails, no alerts, no posts, NOTHING! Problems: - Due to this upgrade, my website went down immediately, I had to find out about this by myself. My emails no longer worked. My databases also went down due to permissions issues. Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) - (MYSQL and MSSQL) - MSSQL BROKEN. My PHP webs no longer work, they display theme errors. I believe this is because they have upgraded their plugins WITHOUT contacting me. Now my MediaWIKI themes throw errors.

I contacted customer support four times in total. As it's a Windows server, they offer ZERO support for these servers via live chat, and instead, they have to relay emails to a separate team that cannot talk to me. I have to wait 24 hours for an email back. Thu, Jan 10, 12:24 AM After 24 hours, Jason ** from the Windows team got back to me with: "I apologize, as there was an issue with like 59 in your Web.config, which has bee corrected. The site appears to be loading at this time." He ignored 90% of my request. My databases are still down and my website shows database errors. I'm not sure why they are touching my files on my server without my permission either. My customers cannot use my software as my licence server authenticates them. I received 36 emails from angry customers due to HostGator's poor maintenance and poor communication from their Windows Admin.

Fri, Jan 11, 4:43 AM Felicia ** from the Windows team got back to me with: "Due to the recent upgrade to your server there have been some issues we've had to address." They seem to be trying to deny MYSQL databases not loading by saying: "appears to load and I am not seeing any errors. Should we be clicking something to see the issue? If there is a login please provide the details so that we can further investigate." However, I have screenshots before this email, and after it, it seems like they are desperately trying to fix their mistakes and take no accountability.

As it stands, the MS SQL databases do not work. The PHP plugins for my wiki, still show errors. I still cannot provide a service to my customers and have received 85 emails complaining about server downtime due to HostGator. I made a request for compensation via the HostGator uptime guarantee which can be found here: **. From this link, it states: "If a shared or reseller server falls short of the 99.9% uptime guarantee, you may receive one (1) month of credit for that package on your account." Felicia ** from the Windows team got back to me with: "Unfortunately, the uptime guarantee would not cover this case." This is a barefaced lie. Not only can they not communicate with their customers about performing major server upgrades, but they do not know their own policies.

A 99.9% uptime guarantee would mean my website would be down for more than 15 minutes throughout the year. My website is still down and has been for over 2 days now. My website is still down and has been for over 2 days now and I cannot speak with a windows team directly to get this fixed. I have to wait 24 hours for each response, to which, they are not providing truthful or helpful advice. This beyond infuriating. This cannot continue. Demands: I am demanding that this is fully investigated. I am demanding that ALL customers should be informed directly about ANY server changes which may affect their customers. I am demanding customers be allowed live chat communication with the Windows server team. I am demanding that I am compensated for this horrible mess and my website is FULLY WORKING as it was before. I am demanding that the Windows Admin be relieved of duty and fired from their position.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I signed up for domain hosting services. I requested HostGator to do the domain transfer. HostGator didn't process the domain transfer after multiple requests. I called few times but HostGator still couldn't process the request. Fed up, I signed up with a different domain hosting service and the new host transferred the domain overnight! I contacted HostGator for a refund, HostGator refused to process the refund. My experience says "buyer beware". Poor customer service, stay away, DO NOT recommend.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

It is a very difficult and SLOW process when you request their free website migration. I previously had HostGator's shared hosting plan and tried to upgrade to their Cloud hosting. I filled out the form to move my primary website and add-on domains to the new cloud server and got zero response after several days. So, I called tech support, and they said sorry they can't help me, that migration is a different department and they don't take phone calls or do chat.

It looks like I will have no choice but to manually recreate all of my Joomla websites from scratch using back-up files on the cloud server and creating new databases for each website. A time-consuming nightmare for somebody who is not technologically knowledgeable. It will literally take me days to recreate everything. I'm not sure it's worth it for the slight increase in website speed. I will probably just cancel the 3 year subscription I paid for, and go with another web hosting company that is easier to use and has better customer support. In a nutshell, the so-called free migration service sounds good in the advertisement, but in reality it's a joke.

Also, you cannot choose your username when you order cloud hosting. They randomly assign you a computer-generated series of letters and numbers that is your username for life. They don't tell you this up front. You only discover it after you receive the verify email from them after you've paid your money. This might not seem like a big deal on the surface, but when they go to migrate your website files from the old account cPanel to the new cPanel, the usernames will not match up with your old account, which apparently causes verification problems with the migration. It's all ridiculous and unnecessary - never seen anything like this in my 10 years of developing and hosting websites.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I had cancelled my service package with HostGator on 02/05/2017. They confirmed that it had been cancelled however, they charged me for another year of service on 12/20/2018. When inquiring about the charge, they told me that I needed to physically call them and request them to remove my credit card information from their system on top of cancelling the package. They retained my credit card information and unrightfully billed me for another year of service that I did not receive. Also, when I was cancelling my service with them they failed to mentioned that I needed to do a "secondary cancellation" to remove my credit card information from their files. Although, the support woman on the phone mentioned that every customer should be told about the required secondary cancellation, she said there is no way for her to refund me.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

They deleted all my web files 7 days after I did not renew for another year. Who does that? Bad web host, driven by profit motive only. Customer service is poor and they force you to use chat. I have moved all other websites to SiteGround.

HostGator Company Information