1.39/5

67 HostGator Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Their team is super slow, I still have unresolved issues from one month ago. They make promises and don't deliver them, please stay away from them. Their service is a complete nightmare which you can't escape. Run for the life of your website. They couldn't do a simple domain renewal because they have a third-party company that is super slow.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have been a HostGator customer for less than a month. Have been having absolutely pathetic support from their team on 2 separate occasions: I had subscribed to their Optimized Wordpress plan. Unfortunately this plan doesn't come with Cpanel (I didn't know this beforehand) and due to this I had to depend on HostGator support team for migrating my existing Wordpress site.

I had raised at ticket and waited for almost 5 days and multiple follow ups with no luck. Their SLA says it will take 72hrs or longer (no fixed timeline). None of their techs would provide a time estimate for completion or neither would they escalate the issue or prioritize. They are very insensitive and the standard response I got was 'Our SLA is 72 hrs or longer and we don't commit any time to our customers'... When I told them that I will cancel my order if it is not resolved quickly they said I can do so and helped me to cancel the order. They were fine to let go of a customer but not willing to fix a support issue promptly.

The second issue I had is with installing SSL certificate. This was part of my purchase plan. Unfortunately we are supposed to go thru their support desk for installing this as well (no automation) and they have some support issue with SSL and it was being worked by some other team. Their support desk doesn't have visibility on the status/updates and they wouldn't give ETA. I was asked to check back later to see if this was fixed. They wouldn't even give me a ticket until I forced them. After creating a ticket as well I wanted a proactive fix whenever the SSL issue is resolved and update email on the same. Here again the support team wouldn't commit and I was told that I need to call back and follow up if this is not fixed in few days!!! This is one of the worst support I've had from a service provider in the recent past... Not sure how they can survive in business with this type of support.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

It was so convoluted to get the site set up - I saved two blogs and they were not saved when I went back to try to tackle new blogs or posts. I was just a couple of weeks past the 45 day refund time and even though I never published the site or the blog, they would not refund my money. Advice - make sure you learn WordPress before you even think about HostGator!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I recently rebuilt my company website using HostGator's proprietary program Website Builder Pro. I spent a month building my 30+ page site. HostGator made an error and turned off my Website Builder Pro, despite my having prepaid for a year. Now they are unable to "reattach" my site to the Website Builder so now my published site is not editable in any way. I have called with no success numerous times. At one point I received an email saying that they couldn't recreate the problem I had, and in so doing they deleted my working website and saved a dummy page. That took two hours and them "waiving" the backup restoration fee since it was their mistake. I will have to build again (this time I'll bite the bullet and use WordPress). I get the sense that they have outsourced their more complex tech needs with catastrophic results.

Original review: July 15, 2018

The most and ever bad tech support. You can consider yourselves lucky if you haven't signed up yet. All I ask from them is making a migration from G-suite and they confirm to me that they will handle it. I believe them to start our work with them, but after 1 week all we get is they deleted our emails and they are still working in the migration and this is a unique situation. But if you ask anyone in the support team what is the real problem, you will get the answer as usual " our admins will solve your problem, and you will get the answer by your email." For God anyone tell me, how to waiting without using emails for a company and clients for more than 1 week? And after that, they deleted emails without any notice or reason. If you are going to build your business, don't try to work with HostGator. I lost my job because of them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?

Original review: July 13, 2018

I have never given any business a “1”. In fact, in today’s less than customer service- oriented society, I actually go out of my way to leave positive feedback for even good let alone outstanding service. With that in mind, this will be a thorough evaluation of my experience with HostGator. I am not leaving a “1” out of malice or anger, but as a consumer beware warning for those considering HostGator as a provider.

Initially, I purchased my domain through the popular GoDaddy. I then researched multiple providers looking for positive criteria such as uptime, speed, performance, cost, sales and tech support, hidden fees, and ease of migration. I evaluated “unbiased” review sites and most gave glowing recommendations, however consumer driven sites were much less enthusiastic and probably more honest. The two most important issues for me was knowledgeable tech support if needed (I am technologically savvy), and seamless migration from Wordpress to HostGator.

When I contact tech support it typically means there are adjustments on the server or backend issues which HostGator must do. HostGator offers email (not recommended), “live chat” and direct phone support 24/7. I used the live chat for sales support and some tech issues and 15 minute delays are common. After multiple interactions with the live support, I am convinced HostGator uses AI bots for this level of interaction. I started with the Hatchling plan but needed to upgrade for more resources for our business needs. During my live chat with sales, in response to a question, I received a robotic response which was verbatim from the website sales. From a technical point of view, there are several team members who are outstanding. Special shout to Robert and Kevin for your depth of understanding, technical knowledge, and ability to see a comprehensive big picture which is critical in website deployment.

Unfortunately, a number of the tech support can only see where to land and are not able to see the view at 30,000 feet. Consequently, tech support is disjointed and isolated. Information is not transmitted from the previous ticket. My domain transfer from GoDaddy was supposed to be accomplished in 7 days and 3 weeks later, tech support is telling me they are waiting on the transfer. When using live chat I did frequent print screens which populated to my Dropbox account and I was able to produce documentation showing what they said was done. Generally there is a lack of congruence from one tech to another and this results in a lack of productivity and resolution of the issue.

The migration experience from Wordpress to the optimized managed Wordpress account was a total fail and disaster. They say the process of migration can take 48 hours. It has now been 72. I am no longer able to access my original Wordpress site. The migration team changed my URL and are logging in with a new password and username, however they have not provided that information to me and renders me powerless do anything with the site. HostGator boasts that they now provide free SSL certificates which are required for security. One tech support told that the certificate would populate automatically and another person told me they actually need to request.

The certificate that is popping up is invalid on Google and Firefox and the browsers will not populate the site. After the “successful” migration, only the home page loaded and none of the secondary links were functional. This is likely due to the permalinks in Wordpress, but again I cannot access the Wordpress account even if trying to access to Filezilla which is a free download for FTP (file transfer protocol). I have put a two day suspense date on getting access and functionality. If my site is still not close to functionality, I will initiate a total refund and choose another provider. It is important to choose a provider, and then use the one-click option most providers have to install Wordpress and built directly from that integrated Wordpress site rather than attempting a migration. Hope this helps.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I don't normally review things, but in this case I feel I should warn people. I'm shocked at how bad HostGator have become. I was double charged for a hosting account and so opened a dispute and get the money back through Paypal. HostGator said they would open a counter dispute and that I would incur charges if the dispute is in their favour (this is fine) but if I am right they will suspend my account! So basically if I want to keep my websites online and not lose the other hosting accounts I need to pay them twice for one of my hosting accounts!

Original review: July 8, 2018

You can consider yourselves lucky if you haven't signed up yet. I was their customer for many years and it was bearable when I didn't use it much. However as soon as I had to launch a business website, this is when I found out the grim reality. 1. Every chat takes anything between 3 to 5 hours because they take about 5-10 minutes for each response. After explaining the problem, they misunderstand and ask to repeat. After several copy/pastes from previous explanations they send a few links to read, which are totally irrelevant. 2. Once the chat failed, the 'escalated' the problem' to the form of the tickets to the 'higher admins' and 'higher management'. Now it was taking 2-3 DAYS to receive an answer. 3. After 1 MONTH of trying to get the issues looked at, they said that they are having an indefinite technical issues. So that was the end of that website launching attempt.

4. Trying to find a workaround, the 'CUSTOMER MANAGER' transferred me from one account to the other, without my permission (which she then referred to as miscommunication) that was 3 TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE. So now they made me liable to pay $600 while saying that I can use SSL (which they will provide for free from this month as a company anyway) to defer my costs. 5. Trying to complain, just led to another one of such managers, who gave me the breakdown of the costs. 6. Asking to give me back my money resulted in NO RESPONSE. Honestly, I have yet to come across a customer service that is worth than that! Not only are they NOT HELPFUL, they actually change my account themselves to a more expensive one, no kidding.

I switched to another company called 'fast comet', that are twice as cheap, respond immediately to the chat and the tickets and helped me to get everything transferred and sorted for free. I launched a site in a few days. In summary, the HostGator are not only unhelpful, but they actually appears to be making an effort to sabotage their customers and essentially themselves. Really NO REASON at all to JOIN them as there are so many alternatives and being with HostGator will cost you a lot more in time, effort and money, then just a subscription.

Original review: June 18, 2018

HostGator is stealing your domain. Never buy hosting and domain from Hostgator, truly scam organization. They ask account verification, 1 week later you purchase hosting / domain... Why do you not ask and complete account verification before purchase? A honest and professional company should ask account verification by sending ID & Passport copy before purchase... But HOSTGATOR first lets you to purchase and later they ban your account and ask PASSPORT/ID copy...

I have transferred our one valuable domain, transfer completed and a while later they banned our account and show a warning "need ID card or PASSPORT copy". We did not send our ID card, because we do not trust HOSTGATOR may provide security of ID card and may a staff obtain ID card and use for illegal transactions... Now they do also not release our domain to previous registrar, shortly they have stolen my domain. GODADDY, NAME.COM, DOMAIN.COM, LCN.COM and all others except HOSTGATOR are not asking account verification by sending PASSPORT/ID CARD copy, you can use those companies for domain registration or transfer needs... Never use HOSTGATOR...

Original review: June 17, 2018

HostGator is truly the worst experience I have ever had. They are slow and stupid. If you have an existing domain, don't expect any result. They cannot deliver your needs. I had to threaten lawsuit to get a refund, which they say they will, but I have yet to see it.

HostGator Company Information