TXU Energy

Texas

TXU  Energy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.14/5

TXU Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TXU Energy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about TXU Energy?

Original review: July 31, 2020

Please do not use TXU Energy. This is by far the worst power company I have ever been with. Now granted I do owe a bill and it is high. But I have entered into more than one agreement (payment plan) that had been sat up by the president of the company only to have a disconnect notice sent to my email 1 week after agreeing to the payment plan....I was not behind on the payment plan, in fact I had just sat it up July 23 2020. On July 31 2020 I had a disconnect in my email...confused and angry I called TXU and explained that that the payment plan was just sat up and the customer service agent stated that I had broke it by not making a payment (Payment was not due until the 23 of august 2020). When I told him I had not broke it, he laughed and said, "Let me see what I can do to keep the power on for you."

He was rude and tried his best to control the conversation which does not sit well with me, so I hung up and called back to get a new agent, which was a female, but just as bad... She tried to tell me that I had not made my agreed payment last week (The same day I sat up the payment plan) which I did pay that same day. Then she said.. "Oh!! I see you did pay it..but now we need a bigger payment." I lost my temper and told her to get the company president on the phone (Connie). When Connie at the president's office answered she pretended that she never spoke to me just last week, even though I told her word for word what had been said and how I had ended up setting the agreed upon payment up through ROBERT who also is in the president's office... there was nothing wrote up outside that I had made the payment, no agreement was made,.. so today July 31 2020 I made a new (Same as the last agreement) agreement..

Then asked what if I send in weekly payments since I get paid every week? CONNIE at the president's office said NOT to do that as that would end my agreement and my power would be turned off for breaking the contract!!!! So just save the money and pay them once a month.... but do not be late or the power will be turned off. By paying once a week it would not pay on my bill..it would just give me a credit and not pay anything to the bill??? This company is a scam, they need to have lawsuits against them and be forced to close their doors.

Original review: July 8, 2020

I suspected being overcharged. We travel a couple times a year for at least 1 week at a time. One time I set the thermostat for 90...so not to burn the house in heat, but not waste cooling costs. Came back - thermostat had "reprogrammed" itself to 62 across the board and higher bill. I replaced thermostat and set it for 77. Wake up during night - and its reset to 60's or low 70's. Last time traveled for 10 days - I shut off breakers and unplugged in rooms that required breaker to stay on (kitchen for fridge, patio lights, etc). No bill reduction, BUT...days later - TXU showed up saying they see a problem (from their office) on my meter, it was recording lower than normal usage and they assumed I was tampering with it.

Told the guy what's been happening - he suggests someone stealing my electric maybe, but he "reset" the meter outside. NO significant bill difference. I am now traveling again. Been gone 8 days now. Looked at usage...according to TXU - I have already used 8% more electric in these first few days of July than I did in June. HOW? No one is home. I did not shut the breaker this time, but everything is unplugged and the Thermostat is set to be completely OFF (to avoid the remote adjustments to settings by whomever.) I am now out of town again.

In looking - I'm also seeing a pattern of almost double usage on a particular day each week. Since everyone is off on weekends - I can't really argue that definitively. But with the other 2 residents working 12 hr shifts Monday-Fri (Overnight), how is it I have this high usage like on weekends when everyone is home (mostly sleeping, but they are home)? How is it that there this high usage overnight when only 1 person is home - and that person keeps A/C high as she is cold natured.

I will continue to monitor and will eventually prove definitively TXU is overcharging. We cannot keep having same or higher usage after we've traveled for 7-14 days in a month. That's just plain impossible unless the washer, dryer, TVs, radios, etc...all plug in and start running themselves. I believe TXU is guesstimating my bill based on average customers...but with 2 cold-natured people - we don't burn the air like everyone else. Never have. I also find it odd that suddenly thermostats keep resetting themselves.

And to top it off - the room with most electronics is suddenly having flickers and having to switch the breaker. Even the Surge protectors and backup power units show bad electricity/faults coming into the residence. The TXU rep that came to the home said there's basically nothing I can do, unless I "catch" someone obviously stealing electricity... It's on me, as they see and manage everything remotely and nothing is "wrong enough" for them to investigate anything.

Get buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2020

TXU Energy allowed someone else to open a fraudulent account under my name and SSN. I didn't give anyone authorization to do so. I have reported this to TXU and the police. I have mailed TXU the police report, and because they don't want to take a loss they are still trying to say this debt is valid. Employees for TXU have been very rude and hanging up on me while talking. I would never use this company. They are very unprofessional. I have requested in writing to TXU to validate this debt, but they have failed to do so. A employee for TXU even said on a recorded call "I hate dealing with you people".

Original review: March 28, 2020

The experince with TXU has been terrible. Their managers do not answer and do not listen to customers. I was charged a bill of $152 for electricity (1 month) consumption in my apartment when this was vacant and all the switch and breakers were off. I asked them to do meter reading or to check on their side but they did not do it despite me calling several times. Very disappointed!

Original review: March 23, 2020

Just wanted to let everyone know that TXU Energy was not willing to lend a helping hand in time of crisis... I was asking if they could help me with my bill by giving me a longer extension time and they said no....

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I closed my account on November to make sure that it does not renew in January. These ** are still taking money from my account even though I got the cancellation notice. They also do a bait and switch on you when you have your services.

TXU Energy response

Rose - Let's review your account details together to see what has happened. Please email your account/contact info to TXUECares@txu.com. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I switched over the weekend to a new company. On Monday, I received a threatening and condescending call from a TXU rep trying to convince me to stay to no avail. He never, for one moment apologized or tried to make things right. Instead he said I was being suckered into switching and that I was going to regret switching. He also made it very clear I was under contract and that I would be heavily penalized if I switched. I was being treated like I was not a customer, but like they were doing ME a favor for ME paying high electricity rates. After a while he rudely hung up on me after 10 min back and forth.

Before he hung up I asked the rep if he was willing to make up for me paying too much in the past, he literally said "are you serious?" Now, I don't know if the new company will be any better, but regardless, very unprofessional way to treat a (former) customer. Also, the 'other company' has 5 star review rating on Google with over 3,000 reviews. TXU on the other hand... I was paying 14 cents per KWh. I read a few comments stating TXU will charge a higher rate on the final bill. We'll see. I will update my review when I get my final bill.

TXU Energy response

We're sad about your decision to switch, and that the follow up call was not the best experience we could give. We'd like the opportunity to look into what happened. Please consider emailing your account and contact info to TXUECares@txu.com and we'll reach out to you.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

TXU keeps raising my bill monthly. I switched plans thinking it would lower my bill as stated. I am currently being charged almost $600 a month even though no one is even home during the day. I called to speak customer service to see why and all I got was a rude, non American Middle Easterner. I am currently checking other providers to get clear and free from money hungry TXU.

TXU Energy response

Your experience with TXU Energy and your feedback means a lot. Let's take a close look at your account together to see what is going on. Please email your account and contact into to TXUECares@txu.com and we'll give you a call.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I moved here from Florida a regulated State for electricity. I didn't know there were options in my area. We received a $184.00 bill for less than a 1000 kilowatts. We realized they were charging over 18.5 cents per kilowatt. We found another provider @ 11.9 cents per kilowatt. Savings of $63.00 on just one bill. We switched and TXU billed us 23.9cents on our final bill. TXU is by far the highest provider of electricity period. Never again.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

We purchased a home and set up service with a different company. The previous homeowners transferred their service with TXU to their new address. So, TXU transferred my account from the service provider I selected. After receiving and paying my first bill, I was notified that I had cancelled my account. I did not. TXU put my property on the previous owner's bill and cancelled my service. They refused to fix their error and said I needed to reapply with my company of choice and pay the previous owners personally until the account was transferred back to my provider of choice. They told the previous owners this would be "easiest". TXU refused to correct their error. I contacted Public Utility Commission of Texas. They advised me that the problem needs to be corrected by TXU.

The commission filed a complaint on my behalf. The previous homeowners are also filing a complaint, as TXU advised them they are financially responsible... for TXU's error. What a mess! The representatives at TXU were the rudest people I have ever dealt with. Steer clear of this company. They are careless and non responsive to correcting problems. TXU rep straight up admitted it was their mistake, but would do nothing to correct the situation. Don't get tied up with this company!!! They are rude and lazy liars that shirk all responsibility for their errors.

TXU Energy response

Jeri - Your experience is important to us. Please email your contact info to TXUECares@txu.com so we can further assist you.

TXU Energy author review by ConsumerAffairs

Texas Energy is one of the most popular energy companies in the state. They offer more power to Texans than any other provider within the state.

• Business and residential: TXU services both business and residential customers and also provides helpful services and business incentives.

• Eco-friendly: TXU has many eco-friendly plans available that allow consumers to sign up for electricity while reducing environmental harm.

• Versatile services: They have the ability to work with companies both large and small and provide services to a versatile profile of businesses.

• Customer service: There is often a lot of red tape at TXU to get through before a consumer is able to actually speak to a customer service representative.

• Service: Because the company serves so many customers, it can take a long time for customers to have their needs serviced.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team