TXU  Energy

Texas

3.8/5 (87 ratings)

About TXU Energy

TXU Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TXU Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TXU Energy?

Original review: April 11, 2021

I Have proof how they are stealing and How they are camouflaging what they are stealing. It's not just just the usage (kwh). It goes deeper. And I have figured out how they are doing it. They're providing all the information required by law to cover what's required of them. So people don't dive deeper... Just think of the government as Magicians... like David Copperfield... Make something there disappear... Well TXU wants you to see it, but their magic act is to think the middle class and lower class are too stupid to SEE IT!! It's not that we are stupid, but most of us like myself before get tired of customer service and give in. Not this time and not me I'm going to keep paying the $300-600 bills but TXU you are about to pay me back and every other customer you have stolen from!!!

Original review: April 3, 2021

Like so many other customers has complained about I too have been a victim of TXU. I have paid unbelievable charge. My last meter read was 1550 equaling a $221.00 after the installation of the "smart meter" was installed. My usage has tripled. I averaged 500 - 700 Kilowatt usage a month. I am literally sick with them. Someone mentioned a Lawsuit against TXU, I'm all in if we can get a Class action started. I want my money back and help to protect other consumers from getting ripped off by this company. Why is Texas allowing this to go on?

Get buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2021

I have been a loyal customer for over 6 yrs & it will All come to an end this week! TXU keeps changing actual readings on paid bills, adding to current bill. PUC doesn't care. They made several mistakes, keep changing my smart meter actual readings (3 times on 3 past bills, 2 times on 2 past bills & charged double on invoice, my dashboard daily usage/cost shows correct info, but doesn't matter). How can any customer trust the invoice, if TXU can change any information, any time, as many times, after paying & get by with this? I live in an apartment, Centerpoint replaced smart meter on same day I move in. The old Meter ID was on 2 future invoices, stating Actual readings, changes several times. Crooks! Liars! Thieves! Surprising, it's ok with PUC! It's Not OK with me! I don't like Corporate Bullies & Small Claims Court, "Here I Come". See you in Court TXU! Keep your apology after my review, you had your chance! Wrong Customer to Bully!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I moved to Texas 3 years ago and got TXU. In the beginning it was ok, but after the second year, I started getting unbelievable high bills. Is just me and my 2 small children in the house. We spend over 8 hrs out of the house, and we have free nights starting at 8 PM and ending at 5 am. My light bill has been well over $180. I just got my December bill, and it totaled $302. I don't know how this company gets away with this. I hope I had read the reviews before I got in this contract. I called a few months ago to discuss the bill and they said they were going to send someone to check the meter. No one came. I really hope one day this company pays for all the money that they wrongfully take from hard working people. If you are considering TXU, at least compare with other companies before you commit.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

DO NOT USE TXU ENERGY. They are the bitter ex girlfriend/boyfriend after a break up. I switched to Green Mountain Energy because I like their Solar program better. TXU charged me a $395 dollar early termination fee. I was with them for 4 months. TXU called and asked me to stay. Saying even if I choose to leave they won't charge me because "we do not want you to leave with a bitter taste in your mouth about TXU." That was a lie. Even after they listened to the recorded phone call. TXU solar program is complicated and confusing. Green Mountain helped me with $150 of the termination fee and said they Do Not charge a fee.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

The worst energy company ever. Lived in Texas for last 47 years and this company is everything but truthful about what they charge, or what they promised to charge when the bill arrives. Had to to complain so many times and wasted so much of my time to get the bill straighten up, but no luck. Need to look another for another provider like reliant energy which make their own electricity, and not a distribution center like TXU who buy the electricity from providers and seek it to consumers. Beware of them.

Original review: July 31, 2020

Please do not use TXU Energy. This is by far the worst power company I have ever been with. Now granted I do owe a bill and it is high. But I have entered into more than one agreement (payment plan) that had been sat up by the president of the company only to have a disconnect notice sent to my email 1 week after agreeing to the payment plan....I was not behind on the payment plan, in fact I had just sat it up July 23 2020. On July 31 2020 I had a disconnect in my email...confused and angry I called TXU and explained that that the payment plan was just sat up and the customer service agent stated that I had broke it by not making a payment (Payment was not due until the 23 of august 2020). When I told him I had not broke it, he laughed and said, "Let me see what I can do to keep the power on for you."

He was rude and tried his best to control the conversation which does not sit well with me, so I hung up and called back to get a new agent, which was a female, but just as bad... She tried to tell me that I had not made my agreed payment last week (The same day I sat up the payment plan) which I did pay that same day. Then she said.. "Oh!! I see you did pay it..but now we need a bigger payment." I lost my temper and told her to get the company president on the phone (Connie). When Connie at the president's office answered she pretended that she never spoke to me just last week, even though I told her word for word what had been said and how I had ended up setting the agreed upon payment up through ROBERT who also is in the president's office... there was nothing wrote up outside that I had made the payment, no agreement was made,.. so today July 31 2020 I made a new (Same as the last agreement) agreement..

Then asked what if I send in weekly payments since I get paid every week? CONNIE at the president's office said NOT to do that as that would end my agreement and my power would be turned off for breaking the contract!!!! So just save the money and pay them once a month.... but do not be late or the power will be turned off. By paying once a week it would not pay on my bill..it would just give me a credit and not pay anything to the bill??? This company is a scam, they need to have lawsuits against them and be forced to close their doors.

Original review: July 8, 2020

I suspected being overcharged. We travel a couple times a year for at least 1 week at a time. One time I set the thermostat for 90...so not to burn the house in heat, but not waste cooling costs. Came back - thermostat had "reprogrammed" itself to 62 across the board and higher bill. I replaced thermostat and set it for 77. Wake up during night - and its reset to 60's or low 70's. Last time traveled for 10 days - I shut off breakers and unplugged in rooms that required breaker to stay on (kitchen for fridge, patio lights, etc). No bill reduction, BUT...days later - TXU showed up saying they see a problem (from their office) on my meter, it was recording lower than normal usage and they assumed I was tampering with it.

Told the guy what's been happening - he suggests someone stealing my electric maybe, but he "reset" the meter outside. NO significant bill difference. I am now traveling again. Been gone 8 days now. Looked at usage...according to TXU - I have already used 8% more electric in these first few days of July than I did in June. HOW? No one is home. I did not shut the breaker this time, but everything is unplugged and the Thermostat is set to be completely OFF (to avoid the remote adjustments to settings by whomever.) I am now out of town again.

In looking - I'm also seeing a pattern of almost double usage on a particular day each week. Since everyone is off on weekends - I can't really argue that definitively. But with the other 2 residents working 12 hr shifts Monday-Fri (Overnight), how is it I have this high usage like on weekends when everyone is home (mostly sleeping, but they are home)? How is it that there this high usage overnight when only 1 person is home - and that person keeps A/C high as she is cold natured.

I will continue to monitor and will eventually prove definitively TXU is overcharging. We cannot keep having same or higher usage after we've traveled for 7-14 days in a month. That's just plain impossible unless the washer, dryer, TVs, radios, etc...all plug in and start running themselves. I believe TXU is guesstimating my bill based on average customers...but with 2 cold-natured people - we don't burn the air like everyone else. Never have. I also find it odd that suddenly thermostats keep resetting themselves.

And to top it off - the room with most electronics is suddenly having flickers and having to switch the breaker. Even the Surge protectors and backup power units show bad electricity/faults coming into the residence. The TXU rep that came to the home said there's basically nothing I can do, unless I "catch" someone obviously stealing electricity... It's on me, as they see and manage everything remotely and nothing is "wrong enough" for them to investigate anything.

Original review: May 18, 2020

TXU Energy allowed someone else to open a fraudulent account under my name and SSN. I didn't give anyone authorization to do so. I have reported this to TXU and the police. I have mailed TXU the police report, and because they don't want to take a loss they are still trying to say this debt is valid. Employees for TXU have been very rude and hanging up on me while talking. I would never use this company. They are very unprofessional. I have requested in writing to TXU to validate this debt, but they have failed to do so. A employee for TXU even said on a recorded call "I hate dealing with you people".

Original review: March 28, 2020

The experince with TXU has been terrible. Their managers do not answer and do not listen to customers. I was charged a bill of $152 for electricity (1 month) consumption in my apartment when this was vacant and all the switch and breakers were off. I asked them to do meter reading or to check on their side but they did not do it despite me calling several times. Very disappointed!

TXU Energy author review by ConsumerAffairs

Texas Energy is one of the most popular energy companies in the state. They offer more power to Texans than any other provider within the state.

• Business and residential: TXU services both business and residential customers and also provides helpful services and business incentives.

• Eco-friendly: TXU has many eco-friendly plans available that allow consumers to sign up for electricity while reducing environmental harm.

• Versatile services: They have the ability to work with companies both large and small and provide services to a versatile profile of businesses.

• Customer service: There is often a lot of red tape at TXU to get through before a consumer is able to actually speak to a customer service representative.

• Service: Because the company serves so many customers, it can take a long time for customers to have their needs serviced.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team