TXU  Energy
1.15/5
Based on 165 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a Texas electricity company?

TXU Energy

Texas

Last updated: March 31, 2018

213 TXU Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: March 31, 2018

We recently moved at the beginning of the year. eOur bills in a drafty trailer were on average 150 a month. My bills thus far this year in the new house for just 3 months has been over $1,000. We had a lot of cold weather. Maybe that was it. Then, this month, we used only 1170 kwh. My bill was still almost $300!! Because the TDU is $175. I kid you not. What happened to $3.49 base and 3.5 cents a kwh added on? By the pricing I was led to believe, we should have used close to 5000 kwh! What's the point of lowering our usage if the TDU costs are still overreaching? I used to love your company. Did business with y'all for nearly 6 yrs. But this is wrong. I am a single mother. Y'all are taking advantage of us.

Original review: March 30, 2018

After my uncle passed away I contacted them to inform them it would be a couple months before I was able to have access to his funds to pay his account. I show up a month later to start cleaning the house and there's no power, it's a Saturday and I'm from out of state. I call to get the power turned back on and they said they see that I called but because I wasn't an authorized person on the account they couldn't do anything with my notification and the account was cancelled and in order to get power back on they required I open an account with them. Having no other options I did that.

I finally get access to the online account and they read the meter less than a week after opening the account so that they could charge me delivery fees, etc. which was more than what the usage amount was for, and they've tacked on a late charge because they didn't put the right billing address in the system and I was unaware they would bill me a week after opening an account. If I had an option I'd look elsewhere and stay as far away from TXU as possible.

Get expert buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I'm currently living in an apartment in NRH, TX. I have not been in my apartment for the last two months. I've moved out of state. My lease will be up in another month. So my heating/a.c. has been off for three months now. Please turn down the TXU/Oncor average billing plan. Just say no. If your usage is for only 67.00. They'll tack on additional charges to your bill. Your bill will now be around 180.00. They'll send a visa card of roughly 65.00. This was your savings for the entire year with average billing. Eye roll. You will not save anything. Average billing is a joke. Save yourself some trouble and shop around. Talk to your surrounding neighbors before you make any commitments to any electric company's yearly contracts. Thankfully I have only one more month to go. Then this ridiculous average billing contract will be done.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Paid $528 for one month in Texas on 1400 sqft house - TXU without my written or verbal consent changed my plan to a month to month plan after my 12 month plan expired (I have been a customer for 4 years now). The rates were astronomical but I did not notice because I have Autopay (never have missed a payment with them). After spending over an hour on the phone with them and being treated condescendingly, I decided to cut my losses and not support this scam of a company.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I wish I had read the reviews on TXU before signing up with them because I have never paid so much for electricity in my life as I did with this company. I firmly believe that TXU was scamming me the entire time but have no way to prove it. My electricity through TXU cost me 3 times what I paid at my previous home (which was twice the size of my current home, and older). Of course it's my word against theirs and the only true way is to have a third party monitor my usage and compare to what they are claiming. My intuition says they were scamming me and I'm hardly ever wrong. Green Mountain is a better choice.

TXU Energy response

Michael - Lot's of things can contribute to higher than normal bills. Let's review your account details together. Please email your account and contact info to TXUECares@txu.com.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TXU Energy?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

My widowed Mother is 87 yrs old and living on $700 a month social security. During the winter she runs space heaters to keep warm. She spends a lot of time in bed covered up with a heater on to try to keep warm. This runs up her bill to where she cannot pay the entire amount, and she gets behind. She gets financial aid from the church when available. And she wanted to set up a deferred payment plan, but was denied until the check from the church arrived. Her cut off date is the 22 of Feb 2018. I think TXU should be ashamed to be so impatient with a little 87 yr old lady that is doing her best to make current her bill. If they are willing to leave a little old widow lady sitting in the dark and cold, because the check did not arrive in time, they deserve to be turned into Consumer Protection. No one at TXU shows any willingness to compromise and let her set up payments or extend the date one or two days. They are a crapy co.

TXU Energy response

We apologize for the inconvenience. Let's take a look at the account together to see how we can help. Please email your account/contact info to TXUECares@txu.com.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I have used this company over 15 years and it is the worst company now I have ever dealt with. I noticed my bill had doubled and finally figured out that the charge double to borrow energy on my bill. My bill for energy was $100 and a loan from another energy company was $100. They don’t tell you that when you agree on the phone to a certain kilowatt. How is this not discussed. Then when you call you will go from India speaking, to European, to Spanish. They do not comprehend that this is deceptive thinking. It is an American electric company. Then you after telling 5 different people all 5 different people my information, the manager is ruder than all the rest. I am appalled that this company is in business if they have to outsource ALL their services. This should be know, that all their services come with a con. The company doesn’t own the electric part of the business and you will never talk with an American to discuss your issues. Is this legal?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

My credit score is almost 800. I have 13 lines of perfect credit. Never a late payment. They told me if I can get a company to verify perfect payments... i.e. credit card company, they would waive the $460 fee. Within 5 minutes DISCOVER emailed and faxed info to TXU and cc me on email. Okay service was suppose to be switched over at that moment. Since I am renting for a close friend, a month later, no bill. I call and they never switched service. Was rude to me and then I got a note in mail a day later stating my extended view score was a 600. I work in credit selling homes. I have never heard this score before. After looking it up, it is for people that have not had credit before. What, how can I have a great score with perfect payments and not get 0 down on my electric startup service? Another company had me changed over within 5 minutes at 0 down! Read your reviews! This company has a 1 star rating for a reason!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I opened a service with them last December, and they were offering me a 500 gift card and they have a refer a friend program that offered 50 dls for you and 50 dls for the person you refer. When I opened my service they had offered me a 7 cents a KWH and the 500 dls which the first 250 were going to be send to me after the first month of service, and the other at the completion of my contract of 12 months of service with them. I got the first one for 250 dls the first month, bit before that I had changed my plan when I referred my stepdad to TXU because they offered him 6 cents per kwh but they told me that my promotion wasn't changing at all for my 500 dls.

So after a month I did received my first 250 dls and a few months later they send me another card which it was for 250 instead of the 50 dls for referring my stepdad, so I did call them up to advised them about the mistake so they cancelled that card and they sent me another one for the difference of a purchase that I made which was for only 5 dls. I will provide you with that card since I have it with me, and after a few more months I called because I referred my sister to them also but they also lied to her telling her that she was going to receive 400 dls for her promotion plan and the 50 from me since I referred her also.

When I call them to check the status on that they told me that they where going to look into it and they will give me a 50 dls credit on the account since I never received that second 50 dls card for referring her to TXU, so when I got my 12 months I called them up to let them know that I never received my card for 250 dls and that my plan was going to end that month. The representative mentioned to me that my plan ended on March which I didn't know why he was saying that, so I explained to him about the issues with the promotions and he said that they were going to open an investigation. They were saying that supposedly I changed the plan in the middle of the promotion so I requested the recordings from that day when they said I changed my plan, but since they are a bunch of liars they didn't provide me with that information either to me or BBB when I filed a complain with them.

They were saying that because I changed the plan I didn't qualified to receive my last 250 dls, which was a total lie because they also didn't provide the tracking numbers for the cards that they sent me to that office either. I guess that if that is the way they treat Veteran's and customers since they have such a low rating for their service, which the worst is their customer service representatives which are very unprofessional and rude. I probably won't get my money from them, but I want to make sure that people are aware of the horrible customer service and their fraudulent promotions that they runned at that electric company. It is really upsetting having to report them with all of this agencies, but I don't think is fair to my sister that has being with them almost a year and she never received her 400 dls for the plan and the 50 dls for me referring her either as myself my 250 dls promised at the end of the 12 months.

For last I had requested for many months from them to add my sister's name to the bill since she was living with me and months passed and they never did, even thought I spoke to many representatives and I filed many complaints about them. They all said to me that it was going to be taking care of even when I talked to managers, but it is really easy now to understand why the regular representatives have such a bad customer service. I only had one bill that showed my sister added to the bill, but all the rest of my bills have come again without her name on it so it is really ridiculous that they still have this company running and not closed for all the bad service that they provide to customers.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I signed a 1 year contract for service which went ok and ended Oct 2017 but my electric rates after going month to month were very high so I found another elec provider that better fit my needs. So I get an email and open it up and to my surprise I find all these extra "fees" tacked on instead of 168 which was very high for Dec and should have been under 100 dollars I get a bill close to 270 dollars! I did not break any contract I was told by a CR it was processing fees!!! Never ever use this company for your elec.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Spent 2hours 15minutes going through 5 with customer service representatives (who in addition to being quite arrogant, also speak in a non-clear English) trying to figure out how I can get daily usage for the month. 3 of representatives admitted having the same problem of not being able to see the data, 4th one first said that he couldn't see it either, then later when he could he said something on the lines of "it is your problem that you can't see it". When I asked him to send it to me via e-mail or regular mail he said that he can't do it.

Spent another hour with his supervisor (very polite person) who was quite unprofessional in terms of taking an hour of my time to check their system problems instead of admitting the existence of the problem and finding a solution on their own time. After all the time spent I still don't have the information and only hoping that the "special ticket" he submitted will be resolved in the next 2 business days. P.S. Have the whole call recorded for anyone deciding to use their "services" or for TXU team of HR/Customer Service to provide some better training of how NOT TO DO things!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I try not to make a big deal over a few dollars for an electricity bill. But those few dollars kept increasing each month until my bill was almost $200 a month. I have free nights and weekends and I am at work all day so I figured that would be the perfect plan for me. There is no change in my routine no matter the time of year (Summer etc). My bill started very reasonable, the plan I choose was working. Then recently I called the REP and he told me "Well you know the AC has to work harder during the summer months." I respond "NO SIR. When I leave the AC is cut off and it is not turned back on until I get home which is when the free night and weekends starts." He goes on and on about why my price increased which not panned out to be true. Long story short they are charging people for energy they do not even use. They are scamming the consumer. I would not advise anyone to use TXU Energy!!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I got charged $50 for TDU charges. I called to complain about it and I spoke to a rep who said I could call the TDU #. Well the rep gave me the same # I called the 1st time. So I told him to transfer me to a Supervisor and I told her about my situation and I also told her I need to pay my bill a day late and she said there's a $7 late fee. That made me more furious. This company is money hungry and scamming people. I don't want to deal with them anymore and I advise anyone to do the same. They need to be investigated and need to be shut down.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

A Salesman came by basically talk to me into transferring to TXU from Reliant with a lower rate. With this I would get an air conditioning checkup. Also I would get a Visa card for $250 that I would receive the salesman told me within usually 4 to 6 weeks. I received the bill almost right away. For 13 days that was over $100 the $250 Visa was to pay Reliant because I had broken a contract. I had not paid my first bill yet. I called them, ask them where the Visa was because I owed Reliant money. They said I had first pay my bill. I paid the bill. Today I received my next bill. It's over 200 something dollars with a late fee. I had never had this high of a bill with Reliant. The salesman lied to me. When I called customer support all the people were like kids. They were all dumbfounded. Didn't have answers.

I was so mad. I told the company that you all have lied to me and conned me and now I owe Reliant and I'm about to owe them because I'm not staying with this rip off company. I don't care if I die in debt now. It's sad because I just finished a bankruptcy and I get disability. This company is a con. I'm telling you don't use them. I think they hire children to answer their customer service lines. They were all idiots. No one knew anything. It's all about money, money, money with TXU. Salesman did not have my best interest in mind at all. He was out to sucker and con people to put themselves in debt so he can make a buck.

Original review: June 12, 2017

TXU blatant disrespect for the death of a loyal customer. It's horrible when a company makes a $96.00 balance a priority over the grieving of their customer's family members. This TXU customer passed away and her family is trying to deal with cleaning out her small apartment while paying for funeral and other final expenses. TXU refused to give the family of this deceased customer a few extra days to make the payment and will disconnect the electricity unless the balance is paid in full or the electric service is transferred into another person's name. This company has no heart.

Original review: May 12, 2017

I have been with TXU for more than 5 years. My bills with them have always been much higher than any other power utility I have used in the past. Recently, I switch electric companies and noticed that my bills are now 300 to 400 percent less than when I was a TXU customer. TXU sent me a final bill that was over $200.00 (Not reasonable) so I am convince that they are manipulating the usage. They even sent me to the Credit Bureau for disputing the bill and agreeing to review the case. They are absolutely the worst company out there. DO YOUR RESEARCH.

Original review: April 30, 2017

I have had two bad experiences with TXU. The first was when they billed twice for the same amount in the same month. I contacted them to resolve the billing issue. I was told they were aware of the problem and that it would be resolved in the next couple of days. After a week it was still not resolved. I called again and was told this time that I had to register a complaint. I'm guessing if you don't complain they'd just keep the money they stole. Second time I have auto pay turned on. They billed 3 days before the amount was due which was 5 days before I get paid. Thinking this would clear on payday (date the bill was due) I let it ride 'til the due date. I get a letter saying they have shut off auto pay and fined me $25 to boot. As soon as this contract is up I'm switching and anyone who asks will get the sorry. Never again.

Original review: April 29, 2017

NEVER GOT MY CREDIT! As a part of changing to TXU electric, they agreed to pay the early termination fee from my other company, if I paid in advance. I switched in Jan. Paid in Feb. Spoke w/ someone about the credit FOUR TIMES, and still the only thing I've been told is that they will work on it and get back to me. Wish I never left my company...

Original review: April 12, 2017

My bill is apparently due on the day it generates. That day would be the 28th of the month. This month, I received the bill/cut off notice for the bill that came out on March 28, 2017, yesterday. Today, April 11, 2017, my electricity is off. I called and they told me it was more than 10 days late and gave me that balance and the balance of this month's bill, that won't even be mailed out until after April 28th! The guy who barely spoke English, read off a script and said he was transferring me to someone else. I swear it was the same guy, with the same script that answered. He and the woman sitting next to him seemed to think that was funny. When I told him that I came home to find all the groceries for the month ruined, he smirked. I could pay this right now; but, I refuse to pay the reconnection fee. I'm looking for another provider and calling my lawyer in the morning.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

(To make this simple; TXU raises their price drastically to cancel out your free nights. TXU benefits from you signing a 2 year contract where you pay a penalty if you cancel it, and you get nothing unless you drastically cut down on your electricity usage during the day.) Unless you plan to use almost no electricity during the day and only use electricity during the free night hours then this offer will (scam) you. If you plan to continue to use electricity during the day the same as you do now you will end up paying the same or more. I explain below.

On Dec.16, 2016 I signed up for TXU 24 month free nights offer, which has a monthly base charge (fee) of $9.95. On the website it says that TDU delivery charges are included in the per (kWh) quote, it is a lie, you pay separate fee for TDU charges. Before, I was on the .10 cent per (kWh) no contract plan. My last bill I used 749 (kWh). I was charged $76.04 plus $43.30 TDU, (total $119.34) which is actually paying 16.3 cents per (kWh) excluding taxes and one time miscellaneous fees (which included in total bill was $144.32). TXU bill actually states "the average price you paid for electricity this month was 16.3 cents per kWh excluding tax and non recurring charges" on the bill in small print. So really I was charged 16.3 cents or more for electricity.

I received my bill today Jan 25, 2017 for my first month of "free" electricity, I chose 8pm-5am. The bill is ($124.34) I used 852 kWh, (100 kWh) more than last month, I used heater more (mostly at night) and Christmas and New Years (up at night). I used as much electricity during my "free" time as I did at all other hours.

Using the "free" logic anyone would think my bill would be almost half as last month. But it was only $20 less, and that is mostly because I used heat and airconditioner mostly during "free" time, kept lights out during the day and washed and dried clothes ONLY during "free" time. I changed my habits to take advantage of "free" electricity, if I hadn't my bill would have gone up! And this is even after they kindly discounted the TDU charge during "free" hours. BUT, they actually didn't, further down the bill they charged more TDU during the morning and afternoon than they did for the entire last month, $41.04 TDU last month.

You may pay more than you do now if you don't cut back on your day usage. My bill says I paid 12.2 cents per kWh this month. That still only saved me $20 dollars from last month bill and the extra 100kWh I used I guess I should consider I got those free. Without the free night discount TXU actually charged me almost .25 cents per kWh if you include all the fees. What they are in effect doing is offering you a 30% percent discount but raising they're price 30 percent. To reiterate, I used half my electricity during the "free" hours and my bill is only $20 dollars less and that is because I cut back on my day usage, but now I am under contract for 2 years with no benefit to me.

I have been a TXU customer for 10 years, before that I was a CPL customer for my whole adult electricity paying life. I have only been with these 2 companies. If you pay your bill on time with TXU and do not need customer service then TXU seems perfect. My one previous problem with TXU was when they stopped including TDU, ( these are the charges that companies, such as AEP Texas Central Company, that maintain the power lines and install the meters get paid.) charges in the price customers paid per (kWh).

Before, TXU electricity per Kilowatt hour charge included the TDU delivery charge in the per (kWh) you agreed to pay. A few years ago Texas, maybe because of Texas' pro business government passing a law, allowed TXU and I assume all other Texas electricity providers to separate the TDU charge and make customers pay those companies separately but charge it in your bills. What this did was add a new "delivery charge" that TXU and the other companies no longer had to pay. BUT, they did not reduce the per (kWh) they were charging customers. So everyone's electricity bill went up.

From other comments in complaints I am assuming that some other electricity providers include the TDU delivery charges in the per (kWh) that they charge their customers and not make it a separate FEE as TXU does. As I have only been a customer of CPL and TXU ( I am 45 years old ), I can not recommend any other company nor can I recommend TXU, you have to be pretty savvy to come out ahead with TXU otherwise you will feel cheated and robbed.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

On my last Bill the amount due $30 more previous bills and I now work 72 hrs a week away from home. I phoned TXU, they Don't Care!!! They don't believe you and they give you the most naive reasons you can think of for their powerless reasoning. Run!!! They are unprofessional, ignorant and not trained properly.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

If you have any other choice of utility company, use it. Stay far away from TXU Energy. Their customer service representatives are inept and unhelpful and any attempts to resolve valid issues civilly are met with lack of concern or understanding. They are very slow to help aid with problems created on their part but are very quick to report you to the credit agencies - beware!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2017

Last 4.5 years we were with other utility company and my bill never went more than $120 (only in summer June, July, Aug). We are in a 2-bed apartment. But recently (4 months) we came to know TXU is giving nightly free charge. So we thought it will definitely come down. But it's not true. They have so many hidden charges. For Nov. 2016 we got bill as $124. Then in Dec. we got bill as $195. Which is not acceptable. Only one man and kid are in this apartment. I called them but they don't care for customer concern. They are real fraud. My suggestion is keep away and never come for nightly free charge trap.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

I received my December bill and noticed they had charged me $25.00 for a returned check fee. I called TXU & spoke with customer service explaining I am on autopay, it only withdrew one time on the 27th, and my account was never overdrawn. She said she would waive the penalty fee. I said "thank you but it is still a hit on my account when my checking account never overdrew. Your system is incorrect, my bank statement shows my bank balance never went low enough to overdraw even if I had paid the bill twice."

She said to send in my bank statement and let them review it. My bank statement? With today's fraud and identity theft, you are telling me to send you my entire bank statement because your system made an error?? No, I will not send in my statement defending my balance when you never tried to withdraw it previously, it never bounced anything, and I am not giving my banking info to everyone at TXU to review. Extremely dissatisfied.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I am writing to say, STAY AWAY from these guys. I am currently looking for an agent for TXU which they hide under many corp. names to keep from being sued. Does anyone have a agent name to send in the small claims form too? I will show you how to beat them and get them off your credit report for their "Policy" that says they will not remove anything, no matter if you pay it in full. So in other words they want to hurt your credit scores. What a public service.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

I have been a customer since I was 18 years old when they were Texas Power and Lights. I signed up for the free nights plan and after being on the plan for a year I noticed that the Average Billing Plan also showed up on my bill. So now I'm on two plans on this one account. I look over my free nights contract to make sure I didn't overlook something. There isn't anything there indicating that you have to be averaged out your second year in the plan.

I called TXU and those telephone amateurs could only tell me that I asked for the plan (never). Been there done that 2002 big scam. Never ever ever! But not one of them can find the recording (didn't happen). Ask for higher authority, they are all the same. So as of right now I'm paying for the usage of last year that was supposed to be free. My bill went from a average of $119.00 to $244.00 and the way it looks it will be even higher by July of 2017. I feel that they are doing some more people like this and we need to file a civil suit against the company for Breach of Contract.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2016

First off, the whole privatization of the energy utility industry trips me out. My apt complex suggested TXU, so I went with them without fully researching the deal. I had to pay a $190 deposit to get service turned on. I was given the option to pay half upfront and it was communicated to me that the other half would be included on my first bill. I come home one night and the power was off. They had disconnected my power because the other half was to be paid after 21 days. I totally missed that part and apparently over the lengthy terms and conditions that you zone out of halfway through, it was mentioned.

I could go on and on about it, but the thing that pissed me off the most, I specifically asked for email communication as I am on the road 75% of the week. I stressed this to customer service and they basically told me to deal with it and that it is not their fault I don't check my mail. I found another company that has given me service with NO deposit. I will gladly pay the 150 fee to be rid of TXU.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

I signed up with txu energy 2 months ago. It was the worst mistake I ever did in my life. I want to do 6 months contract, not 12 months. He told me I can cancel anytime with no fee. After 2 bills both of them over $120 when he told me I will be paying less than $100 a month. He promised me for $200 gift card that he never sent, and when I called they said its a $100 gift card and I will get it in 4-6 weeks. I called yesterday to cancel my account. They told me I am on 12 months contract and if I wanna cancel it will be $150. They were very rude. I wish I saw all those reviews before I signed with them. I AM GOING TO TELL EVERY CUSTOMER I TALK TO IN MY JOB ABOUT MY BAD EXPERIENCE WITH TXU ENERGY. They record the things they want, not everything you say.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2016

I will start this off as I never write reviews good or bad but my experience with this company has been so horrible, I need to warn others to stay FAR away! I have lived all across the US and have a lot of different power companies along the way. I have never come across a company such as TXU. First, their rates are higher than anybody. Probably by about 50% or more. Second, if you are a day late, they will just turn off your power. The second time I was late they put a deductible on my account of about 400$, which they wanted as a one-time payment. I had to talk to a manager to get it in installment plans. Also, they will make you sign up for a year like a cell phone plan and make you pay a lot of money to break the contract. They do this because they know if they let you pay month to month, nobody would use them for any length of time. Stay far away from these guys.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2016

I was with TXU for several months... Only to see a big raise in my bill... I was barely even using any electric. But then I switched to Ambit Energy!!! I got a rate of.085 per kwh!!! It is awesome! And not to mention the free month and the free electricity I receive for any referral!!! If anyone wants more info on how to sign up for free text me I can help.

TXU Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Texas Energy is one of the most popular energy companies in the state. They offer more power to Texans than any other provider within the state.

• Business and residential: TXU services both business and residential customers and also provides helpful services and business incentives.

• Eco-friendly: TXU has many eco-friendly plans available that allow consumers to sign up for electricity while reducing environmental harm.

• Versatile services: They have the ability to work with companies both large and small and provide services to a versatile profile of businesses.

• Customer service: There is often a lot of red tape at TXU to get through before a consumer is able to actually speak to a customer service representative.

• Service: Because the company serves so many customers, it can take a long time for customers to have their needs serviced.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs