TXU Energy

Texas

Compare Texas Electricity Companies

Research top Texas Electricity Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been a customer since I was 18 years old when they were Texas Power and Lights. I signed up for the free nights plan and after being on the plan for a year I noticed that the Average Billing Plan also showed up on my bill. So now I'm on two plans on this one account. I look over my free nights contract to make sure I didn't overlook something. There isn't anything there indicating that you have to be averaged out your second year in the plan.

I called TXU and those telephone amateurs could only tell me that I asked for the plan (never). Been there done that 2002 big scam. Never ever ever! But not one of them can find the recording (didn't happen). Ask for higher authority, they are all the same. So as of right now I'm paying for the usage of last year that was supposed to be free. My bill went from a average of $119.00 to $244.00 and the way it looks it will be even higher by July of 2017. I feel that they are doing some more people like this and we need to file a civil suit against the company for Breach of Contract.

First off, the whole privatization of the energy utility industry trips me out. My apt complex suggested TXU, so I went with them without fully researching the deal. I had to pay a $190 deposit to get service turned on. I was given the option to pay half upfront and it was communicated to me that the other half would be included on my first bill. I come home one night and the power was off. They had disconnected my power because the other half was to be paid after 21 days. I totally missed that part and apparently over the lengthy terms and conditions that you zone out of halfway through, it was mentioned.

I could go on and on about it, but the thing that pissed me off the most, I specifically asked for email communication as I am on the road 75% of the week. I stressed this to customer service and they basically told me to deal with it and that it is not their fault I don't check my mail. I found another company that has given me service with NO deposit. I will gladly pay the 150 fee to be rid of TXU.

I signed up with txu energy 2 months ago. It was the worst mistake I ever did in my life. I want to do 6 months contract, not 12 months. He told me I can cancel anytime with no fee. After 2 bills both of them over $120 when he told me I will be paying less than $100 a month. He promised me for $200 gift card that he never sent, and when I called they said its a $100 gift card and I will get it in 4-6 weeks. I called yesterday to cancel my account. They told me I am on 12 months contract and if I wanna cancel it will be $150. They were very rude. I wish I saw all those reviews before I signed with them. I AM GOING TO TELL EVERY CUSTOMER I TALK TO IN MY JOB ABOUT MY BAD EXPERIENCE WITH TXU ENERGY. They record the things they want, not everything you say.

I will start this off as I never write reviews good or bad but my experience with this company has been so horrible, I need to warn others to stay FAR away! I have lived all across the US and have a lot of different power companies along the way. I have never come across a company such as TXU. First, their rates are higher than anybody. Probably by about 50% or more. Second, if you are a day late, they will just turn off your power. The second time I was late they put a deductible on my account of about 400$, which they wanted as a one-time payment. I had to talk to a manager to get it in installment plans. Also, they will make you sign up for a year like a cell phone plan and make you pay a lot of money to break the contract. They do this because they know if they let you pay month to month, nobody would use them for any length of time. Stay far away from these guys.

I was with TXU for several months... Only to see a big raise in my bill... I was barely even using any electric. But then I switched to Ambit Energy!!! I got a rate of.085 per kwh!!! It is awesome! And not to mention the free month and the free electricity I receive for any referral!!! If anyone wants more info on how to sign up for free text me I can help.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TXU Energy?

I recently moved in a one bedroom apartment in Austin Texas. I had my power turned on 10/7/2016. I received an email from TXU that my charges started at approximately 5:37 am that morning. I moved in at approximately 9:45 am. Since I was new to the dynamics of choosing a power company I decided to test the integrity of the system. I moved here with the same appliances that I've had at my last 2 previous apartments (which is in 2 different states). My kwh usage was mostly the same because I used the same habits in both places. They may have been a little different depending on the age of the apartment.

On the day of my move in I turned nothing on all day using sunlight for light. It was not until 10:00 pm at night before I used the A/C. (Note) I'm checking for the integrity of the system. From 10:00 pm to 12:00 am I was mainly my power use. I was told that I had used 74 kwh of power and I know this to be incorrect. This is a complete scam and there are laws that use to be enforced to protect people from being vulnerable to this type of predatory behavior from businesses. This is the exact type of predatory business practices that caused our economy to collapse. There needs to be legislations written to force this company and any like it from conducting these practices on the civilian population.

I have never had a problem with TXU before, they were always a fantastic company to deal with. Two months ago, I had a business trip to go on. I wanted to take some extra money so I called to see if I could set up a payment arrangement. I used the virtual assistant, who offered to let me pay half and split the other half over a 5 month period. Now, I'm not receiving bills, I'm receiving shut off notices! My last bill was at least $75 higher than I was expecting and I haven't even been home most of the month! I can't talk to anyone and I can't login because my email address has changed. I love this company and don't want to leave it but I don't want to talk to their silly computer and I want to know why my bill is so high. Shut off notices don't tell you that, they just appear threatening.

We have a three-bedroom home and opted for the free energy at night (8 pm-7 am) during which time we run the AC. During the day when we have to pay for electricity (according to our plan), we keep the thermostat higher, close off vents to rooms not used and keep the lights off with the curtains open for lighting. There is NO WAY our electric bill should be running in the $200 range! Never in my life have I ever had such high electric bills. When I lived in Louisiana, I had a house of similar square feet and my electric bill ran $18-24 a month with $50 as a high! Also, they tack on ~$50 per month "Delivery Charges" and then ~$20 "Miscellaneous Charges" without even saying what it is. What is TXU up to?

I live in a 3 bedroom, single flat house, 1500 sq feet. My bill has been 319. Actual read for last 2 months. On-Core comes and says my meter is not reading. Put on a new meter. Bill is 797.00. They say actual bill. Now something is wrong here and I ask them to investigate. They said the bill was real. I don't see how when I nothing changed from the previous months. I am pissed off. Will be changing companies or something.

I live alone in a 1 storey 3BR/2BA home. In two of the bedrooms I close the vents and close the door. I am gone from 7 am - 8 pm and turn my thermostat to 78 in the hottest months. The lowest I set my AC is 72. Yet my bill is over $350/month. I've tried numerous times to inquire about this. I just keep getting excuses. They say they are giving me the best rate but its not. I feel completely ripped off by this company!

The bills I received with Center Point charge never were the same, the last one charge me $87.00. REALLY??? Now I changed to another company and they promised to sent the credit balance after my bill due date. That was July 15. I called today about the check and told me they will process the check in Aug 1. They are using my money for more than 3 weeks. They are sending letter that they want you back. NO THANKS.

I logged into my account to see that its current balance was $900!! I began looking at the account summary and found a $400 deposit charge. I called a representative who informed me that the $400 charge was due to a late payment. Ohh I was also charged in addition to the $400 dollars a $9 late fee for notice and a $15 late fee. That's a total of $424 for being a week late on a single payment. I will no longer be utilizing the services provided by TXU. In addition I will NEVER refer anyone to them.

When I signed up for TXU last year 2015, they had a promotion whereby they would give its customers $250, in two payments of $125 each. I never received even one of them. They sent me a letter with a promo code and a customer code. The letter also asked me to visit txuenergyrewardcenter.com. I did that, but when I input my promo code and customer code, what I read was this: "We're sorry! We are unable to locate the promo you are submitting for." I checked the numbers several times...they were they sent me. So I would not trust this TXU promotion scam. I did this review to document this particular event, and maybe I could help some customers.

I have only been with TXU for about 3 months and I never knew when my bill was due. Well, I get a letter in the mail informing me they are adding $250 to my bill for late payments. This should be against the law!! I have a zero balance on my bill. TXU is a rip-off and I will never refer them to friends or family. NEVER!!

I was with TXU at my home for over a year. I bought a new home Feb 19, 2015. At that time I was sick of high bills and bad service from TXU. I told them I was going to switch to another company and they begged me to stay and offered me a $250 Visa card to re-up with them and a 3% discount each month that I was with them. Well I never received my $250 Visa card but was sent $125 instead. Rather than complain and live on the phone with these folks I just said "to heck with it" and recently switched to Cirro Energy.

In the year at my new home with TXU I received a prepaid visa card with $8.00 on it. $8.00 for a year's worth of rebates at 3%. That was enough. They ripped me off, didn't pay me my money as agreed and then screwed me by sending me an $8.00 rebate for a whole year of service. My electric bill with TXU in March of 2015 was $278. My March bill with Cirro is $127. To heck with TXU and I would love to chat with them face to face. TXU is a ripoff company. Why is my new bill half the price of TXU's bill. We haven't changed our habits or electric usage enough to justify any difference.

Some statements are worth noting like "It is better to be safe than Sorry." This is complete RIP OFF company. I had to move out of the apartment on account of job change and so I decided to check my credit score and saw that TXU was on it for $150.00. These charges were for early termination charges and one day I got a call from Lady representative who said she was the president of the company. I politely asked her like for what these charges as I did not have any contract. This women was very rude to Asians. I can see that. She was very rude and not courteous. Any good way to resolve the issue did not work with this person. Such a worst experience. This they have put it in my credit report. Which has affected my credit score.

This company does not require any rating as they don't know how to treat customers and retain customers and even after paying $150 they have put in credit report as charge off. How can it be Charge Off when you paid early termination fee without any contacting terms. This is baseless and this is what you get being customer. Please think twice and take opinion of many others before making a decision to take connection. This Incident happened 4 years back and today I have received a letter that they would like to keep it my file until 7 years. Please stay away from this RIP OFF company.

I overpaid on my account by a lot. Yes, I know it was my fault but I noticed it the day that it happened. I called and was told nothing could be done until it was received. I called back and a representative said he would begin the refund process. One week later, I call back - they deleted that request because "it was not completed correctly". A new request was submitted. Weeks go by and I have called every week. Told things like they needed to investigate. What is there to investigate, I overpaid, you see what I owe and give me the difference. EXACTLY ONE MONTH LATER AND I STILL DO NOT HAVE MY MONEY.

My bills were not high with TXU but they would take 2-3 weeks to post payments that were sent in plenty on time so always getting late fees. When my contract was up and was time to refund my deposit said would take 3 weeks! They expect you to pay within 10 days of bill then they should pay within 10 days. It's been almost 4 weeks and still no refund.

I had a 1 year account with them for my apt. A week prior to moving out of the apt at the end of the 1 year contract with TXU I called them, informed the CSR that I will not be renewing the contract and that I will move out 12/18/15. I was informed by the TXU rep that they will disconnect the electricity 12/19/15. Well I called TXU 1/29/2016 to make the final payment for previous services only to find out that TXU never disconnected the electricity nor were any notes indicating from that CSR that I was moving out and declined to renew the account.

I eventually put in a complaint and needed this reviewed 2/9/2016. I returned the managements dept. phone call (855-779-2137). I gave the management dept. the issue # that was left on my voice mail no more than 3 minutes prior to my call and they couldn't locate the results of my complaint "I'm not surprised." after verifying my phone # and SS# related to the apt. I occupied their claim I never called nor do they have any records that I called since September of 2015... I told them TXU is the one that gave me the date of 12/19/15. THEY would disconnect the service I didn't make it up and it sounds like to me that your CSR is the one that is at fault for not notating the conversation and why you're telling me your phone say I haven't called since September of 2015 is bizarre to me but that has nothing to do with me?

I ask management "Does TXU record every phone call like your automated system indicates?" She said "Yes we do." My response "Well apparently TXU doesn't and you also don't hold yourself accountable to your mistake." So now I have an extra $121.00 electric bill for an apartment I didn't live in for 42 days. Be wary. TXU will cheat you. Disgruntled.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I spoke with Carol who is an account supervisor. This matter was cleared up within a couple of days after speaking to her. I'm glad that TXU finally kept their word. The credit did finally go through.

Sheri of Haltom City, TX on

Original Review

I was promised a $250 gift card if I signed up for TXU service. Four months later, that never happened. So they promised to credit my account for that amount. After the three days that they said it would take, that also did not happen. Every time I call, I'm promised something else and I'm told it's being "investigated". Yeah, right. Also, according to their rep, if I signed up, their "fantastic" rates would give me big savings each month. Baloney! I'm paying pretty much the same if not more than my last provider. I will never use TXU again!!

Sept of 2014, I received a bill from TXU (475.00), I paid half and was waiting for check to come in to pay balance (3 days). During this I received a bill from First Choice Power (1089.00 for 1 month). I call First Choice Power to find out who they are and why they are billing me for Electric, when my service was with TXU. I was told TXU switched me to First Choice Power. I called TXU to find out why and no one from either company could tell me how I was switch to the other without my permission.

Now both companies try to point the finger at me because I called Reliant Energy and had them pick up my service. It doesn't matter who messed up my service, I paid my bills and TXU still refuses to delete from my credit. TXU and First Choice Power are 2 companies I will never do business with again, horrible customer service and the runaround. I have even let the companies listen to the recordings from our phone conversations and they still blame the other company for transferring my service without my permission.

TXU's Mrs. **, a Dallas supervisor, lied to me telling me that the amount I pay twice was put back into my bank account. And I got charged $300 deposit for being late more than twice in a year including 1 time where they made the mistake, I will be charged with the deposit even if I change the company. To me, this is a fee for being late, not a deposit. A deposit should be refund if I do not use their services. Deposit is a pledge for a contract, the balance being payable later. BAD!

This company is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with. They have all kinds of hidden fees. They have worst customer service. They are filled with liars as customer service representative. My electricity bill just kept going higher with them without more utilization on my part. They charged me a bogus fee of 290 dollars when I got off their bogus contract. I will be filing a claim with BBB as soon as I finish writing this review.

Whatever you do, do NOT do business with this company. They used sneaky and underhanded business practices to get money out of you. When I switch from another provider to them, I was told I was on a 3 tier plan, i.e. I pay so much for kilowatts up to 1200, then x amount from 1201-2000, then x amount for anything above. When they would not give me a decent renewal rate, I switched from them to another provider who offered a lower rate. I get my last bill and they charge me for the amount of kilowatts I used which came to around 120.00. Then, and read carefully, they tack on this average monthly usage fee jumping the bill up to almost 350.00.

I called and told them I will pay the 120.00 but I absolutely refuse to pay this bogus, underhanded extra fee they seem to have concocted and which was NEVER explained to me when I go to another company. I am so livid right now. I have never seen such sneaky slimy tactics from any company. The BBB and the States Attorney's Office should shut these folks down for misleading people and out and out lying to them.

I have been a customer for two years and have had my payment directly taken out of my account. All of a sudden, these guys can't process a payment correctly saying I had insufficient funds, when in fact, there has always been plenty of funds to cover my bill. These guys never processed the payment and I was willing to show them where they never requested the funds for payment. Two months of this and today I had my electricity shut off. They are at fault and want to treat us as if we are at fault here.

I DO NOT recommend this energy service for anyone! I currently have free nights from 9 pm to 6 am. I travel for work 6 days a week and no one else lives here. I had my bill on Autodraft. When returning from a trip, I came home to no lights. I called and asked why they removed my credit card from my account. The agent simply said "I don't know!" I was charged $50 for a reconnection fee because of the company's mistake. I received a bill for $150 including the reconnection fee. My bills average $30 - $50. I called and asked how is there an extra $50 on my bill. Agent said because the extra three days of service. So they not only charged me $50 for my bill, $50 for a reconnection, but charged me $50 for an extra 3 days of service.

After receiving the bill for $150, I logon to pay the bill and it's now $190!!! I call customer service and was told because they reread my meter and now I owe them an extra $40 or they are disconnecting my lights. To top it all off the charged me $10 extra for sending out a "disconnection notice" on 11/8 but my bill due date is 11/16 and I paid the bill on 11/13. Lastly, they were trying to force me to acknowledge that there will be another $50 reconnection fee on my next bill, but; my lights were never turned off!!! Please DO NOT get this service. Worst service ever.

This past week I was mailed a TXU Energy Promotional offer, for new customers, to receive a $350 bonus (Visa Pre-Paid cards) in return for signing up for TXU Energy Texas Choice 24 plan. Promo Code DMANOV509S, Reference Code: ** My address is clearly on the promotional mailing, and is correct (including ZIP shown as 75074 (Plano)). It's also correct that I'm not an existing customer. The offer includes stating that I'm pre-approved, no deposit is required, and I should call 1-800-998-9763 to sign up.

It turns out this offer is only available in the CenterPoint Energy Service Area (Houston). And thus the offer is 'bait and switch. "We really can't make this offer to you, even though we sent it to you and pre-approved you, but let's discuss other plans we can do for you (that don't offer a $350 bonus)." TXU has a lot of goodwill to its name. It really surprises me, and saddens me, to see TXU resort to 'bait and switch' activity to solicit customers. Sure comes across as 'sleazy' to me, diminishing the value of its long held TXU good name.

TXU Energy use to be good. All of a sudden it went up and I mean way up!! I get the free nights plan from when I started. The first 3 months were about $80 the most and I've had them over a year. Get this. I live in a one bedroom apartment under 600 sq. My bill last month Oct. 2015 was $177 with the free nights. And this month Nov. 2015 as I have used less is what their chart said is $179. I don't get how this is. And they have this texting thing that tells us if the bill is under your expected amount which mine is $100 because I really don't think it should be no more.

We don't use the ac. All we use most days is light when needed, washer and tv for a few hours, so why is it so high? But anyways back to my point. It had texted me that it would be under $100 so I went and looked at the cost tab and it said 90. All of a sudden it jumped $90 in not even a 24 hour period. REALLY??? I'm only giving it 2 stars because it use to be good. Now it's way too expensive.

I tried to make payment arrangements due to medical issues and bills. I paid $250 with $77 remaining. I made an electronic payment thru my bank. It was one day late, so TXU sent someone out to shut my electricity off but the man gave me reprieve. TXU treated me like a criminal and garbage because my bank was one day late. I asked for compassion but was treated like I was a criminal for my bank paying one day late and owing a whopping $77. Then I was charged a reconnection fee even though I was not shut off. TXU would not reverse the charge nor would they give me a reprieve when I asked them for understanding. I have been continually chastised for being one day late. TXU has reduced me to panic attacks and tears.

TXU is awful! Save yourself a ton of grief, choose a different light company. They charge a 60 dollar "delivery fee" every month. My bill in the winter for my apt is 120 dollars. After being with them almost a year, they charged me a 250 deposit for making payment arrangements, twice. Plus, they charged me a 20 dollar disconnect fee but I was never disconnected. I previously had Startech power. I'm going back asap.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Texas Energy is one of the most popular energy companies in the state. They offer more power to Texans than any other provider within the state.

• Business and residential: TXU services both business and residential customers and also provides helpful services and business incentives.
  • Eco-friendly: TXU has many eco-friendly plans available that allow consumers to sign up for electricity while reducing environmental harm.
  • Versatile services: They have the ability to work with companies both large and small and provide services to a versatile profile of businesses.
  • Customer service: There is often a lot of red tape at TXU to get through before a consumer is able to actually speak to a customer service representative.
  • Service: Because the company serves so many customers, it can take a long time for customers to have their needs serviced.
  • Best for Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Compare Texas Electricity Companies