Texas

3.4/5 (112 ratings)

About Reliant Energy

Reliant Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliant Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliant Energy?

Original review: May 6, 2022

Reliant kept the entire electricity that my solar panels produced in the month of April 2022. They said because I was on a month to month contract, they got to keep the electricity and even I renewed my contract, they would NOT give me credit for my electricity. In other words, they stole my electricity. It was about 1.1 mwh of electricity that they kept.

Original review: April 29, 2022

My March bill went from 90.00 to 190.00 in April with relatively the same amount of consumption with the metering monitoring email stating that my bill would be 133 to 138 with 2 days left on billing cycle. I am not on a variable rate and my contract does not expire to next year. They will hang up on you when you ask to speak to supervisor and refused to help me with obvious billing error in their favor of course. I had no recourse but to report them to utility fraud department in Austin.... They do not respond well when you have an obvious issue, extremely disappointing and frustrating!!!!

Get buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2022

I am a pay as you go customer that really at first didn't have any issues with the service. I would get daily updates via text message on my daily usage and used about 3 dollars a day on my service... On March 30 they deducted about 14 dollars from my account that I didn't understand but I didn't have a problem I just thought they were hidden fees.. On March 31 the next day another 30 dollars was taken from my account and my electricity was disconnected... That really upset me so I call Reliant customer service to try and get answers...

After calling twice (the first customer rep placed me on hold and never returned after waiting 15 minutes) I get ahold of someone who informed me that they do monthly audits to make sure they are charging the correct amount... And after the audit it was determined that the meter reading was wrong and that I owed them for the past 2 months of a Bad meter reading.. And that I needed to make another payment in order to have my light reconnected... If they would have at least sent a letter to my home explaining the situation and would have giving me an opportunity to pay the balance I would have appreciated that more than just cutting off my lights and tell me after the fact... this experience has left a bad taste in my mouth... Do better Reliant.

Original review: March 16, 2022

Does Reliant just randomly choose who they are going to take advantage of. I'm 62 years old and disabled female and reliant is robbing me bad. My bill this month March is $274 last month $247. The 6 months before that I had two RVs hooked up. My bill was much lower. In December it was $255. With the two RVs. It's just me. I'm on a fixed income. I wash two times a week and only run the dishwasher two times a week. I shower every third day. My heater is set on 67 and I wear more clothes. Only thing left to do is turn off the breaker. But I'm just not ready to die.

Original review: March 4, 2022
    Do not use Reliant Power [sic] because they changed my plan and said they sent me a letter that I never got, and put me on a flex plan that cost me a lot of money to get off of it. And they quit paying for solar power that we generated that went to their grid. So they made money off of our buying solar panels. So, be careful with them. They are very sly company that will take advantage of older people and anybody they can. So please be aware of this company. Thank you. Bye.
    Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Reasonable price points, reliable customer service. My only issue is the automatic cutoff it would serve them better to notify customers of cutoff date. Most likely it's just an oversight rather than just not paying the due bill.

Original review: July 19, 2021

Product was purchased in June 5, 2019 through Reliant Energy. According to the salesperson this was a good company. From the beginning it took a week for the installation. The installer changed the way the original installation should have been installed without my permission. Since that time the Air Conditioner have been serviced in 2020. It was service in April 2021 for the summer tune-up. In June 14, 2021 the air conditioner went out. Technician stated no Freon and bad battery needed to be replaced. In July 17, 2021 the fan needs to be replaced.

Since April 2021 Reliant relocated their service department. Since that time Reliant Energy has contracted out to Go Flow Plumbing and Air Conditioning which is a small Company trying to handle all these services. Go Flow schedules appointment they can't keep and never call you back to cancel nor reschedule the call. This is not professional and unacceptable to the consumer. I am only into 2 years paying on this unit and refuse to continue with this product and technician not being able to repair the unit that only works temporarily. Need Help.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

I was a customer of Reliant for several years when they offered me the Average Billing option. DO NOT ACCEPT AVERAGE BILLING. The idea is that if some months you will pay less than what you own and build up a debit on your account, other months you will either pay back that debit or build a credit. So far so good. The problem was the amount you pay will NEVER result in you building a credit. So instead of averaging my bills out, it just swapped them so I was paying a lot of money in the winter and very little in the summer. Also, it worked out that my contract always ended when the deferred amount was at it's peak. Meaning I either add to pay out several hundred dollars to leave Reliant, renew my contract (although I don't know what good that did as my prices still changed every month), or go to a monthly plan (where they could really jack my rates up).

Whenever I tried to complain about "Average Billing" not averaging my bills, I was met with the phone call equivalent of a shrug and complete disinterest from the customer service representative. I cannot recommend Reliant in any way and would recommend staying as far away from them and their shady business practices as possible.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I was using Reliant energy from last 9 months and I tried to use less electricity as much as possible but my electricity bill goes up every month so I called reliant customer service. They said you have to be on contract with us to get less bill and I signed up contract with them for 12 month then also my electricity bill was higher than usual. Again I called customer service. They said, "You are not on our contract and currently we are charging you 13.9 cents per kwh." So I will recommend future residence not to take reliant energy as they mislead people. Within last 9 month I never found my electricity bill below 100$ so beware!! Even though if you will try to use less electricity you will not find less bill. Do not go with reliant energy.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I opened my account 1 yr ago and so far their sales agents have used my name and info to open 6 other accounts. I have never given my consent, have called them several times, filed police reports, contacted gov identity theft etc.. and they haven't solved much now they want to charge me for those "people" electric consumption. Just DON'T go with this company. They will use your identity without your consent.

Reliant Energy author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Reliant is a child company of the larger Fortune 500 company NRG. They provide businesses of all sizes as well as residential customers with electricity throughout the state of Texas.

• Rewards: Reliant offers rewards for customers who use their company, including airline miles, bill credits and more.

• Extra services: Reliant offers clients a move center to help them set up their utilities in a new place when relocating.

• Discount plans: Reliant offers discount plans for people who want better deals on their electricity bill, including promotions such as free nights and weekends.

• Customer service: Reliant employs many employees, and their customer service can be inconsistent depending on who you talk to.

• Cost: Reliant may charge more for electricity delivery than other companies in the state.

Reliant Energy Company Information