1.21/5
  • 1 star
Based on 121 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a Texas electricity company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 13, 2017

174 Reliant Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

When I signed up with Reliant Energy for electricity service on a house I just purchased, I was given the “opportunity” to sign up with them for a Security System. I signed an agreement with them for a 36-month security system on July 29, 2017. On Friday, September 8, I left my home to attend a weekend meeting at the DoubleTree Hotel in Dallas, Texas. On the evening of Saturday, September 9, at 7:04 PM, I received a call on my cellphone’s voicemail saying that the security alarm at my residence had gone off and that the police had been notified. Since I was otherwise involved at the meeting, I did not hear the message until an hour later.

Wanting information about the alarm system going off, I began trying to reach Reliant Security by phone. Although there was no callback number left for me to call, I began calling the number that was on my cellphone’s call log **. I was unsuccessful in getting anyone on the phone, because the call went through various menu options, none of which would connect me to the Security Department. After trying Reliant Security’s phone numbers listed on the web, I was transferred several times to people who had no record of who I was, had no record of my account, no address for me, etc. These are the numbers that I called: **. No one at any of those numbers could find any information about me at Reliant. One of the numbers connected me to Smith Monitoring Service and that person was extremely rude and said they had never heard of Reliant Security and provided no help at all.

After being put on lengthy holds at each of these numbers and being transferred to various people, I was upset and worried about what was happening at my residence. At that point, my daughters and I left the hotel and went home to see what we could find out on our own. It was not until we got there that we saw a False Alarm Notification posted on my front door that had been left there by the local police. We again tried to reach Reliant Security but were still not able to get any information about this incident from anyone or reach anyone in the Security Department.

On Monday, September 11, at 9:04 AM, I began calling Reliant Security again because I wanted to cancel this monitoring service. I called the “dedicated” representative that signed me up for this service and left two different voice messages, and never received a return call. Then at 10:43 AM that same day, I called ** and, only after bypassing their menu options by pressing “0”, was I finally able to get someone on the line. I asked to be connected to their Security Department, and was transferred to a person by the name of Chase. Chase then transferred me to Shawn in a different department.

I told Shawn that I wanted to cancel the service, because I was extremely dissatisfied and how their service had failed me. I explained to him what I had gone through on September 9 and that I could not get anyone who could tell me what had happened about my Security Alarm or knew anything about my account with them. He proceeded to say they would “fix” the situation. I told him over and over that I did not want the service and that I was extremely dissatisfied with it.

When he finally understood that I was determined to cancel it, he told me that I would have to pay for the remaining 36 months of service, if I cancelled. I told him I was not going to pay for something that had failed me. I told him that one of the numbers on Saturday had connected me with a Smith monitoring company and that they were very rude and had said they had never heard of “Reliant Security.” That’s when Shawn told me that Reliant had quit using Smith. If that is true, why was I directed to a company they no longer use?

I am a 79-year-old female; I live alone, and I no longer trust Reliant Security to protect me after going through this stressful situation. Since I was not able to get anyone at that company who could respond to any of the questions about my security alarm and was connected to a monitoring company they no longer use, I would say that this is a situation that gives me every right to cancel their incompetent service with no further charges to me.

Although Reliant Security is not registered with the Better Business Bureau, after further research I discovered that the BBB has received several complaints about Reliant Security and that their rating was classified as “F.” Not only is this company incompetent, it is a rip-off. I signed up to receive peace-of-mind security, gave them money, and when I needed them to tell me what was happening when my security alarm went off, it was like I never existed. All I want to do is cancel the agreement without paying for any remaining months on the agreement.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

The shadiest, most awful company to ever purchase energy from!! I wanted to change my plan, as I signed up for the first month free promo they were doing that included a 90 day trial that allowed you to change plans without fees within those days. My 2br apartment bill was $250 the first month, so halfway through the second month I did some shopping and was going to switch. But I called Reliant first to see if any of their plans would even come close to other providers since I was still in that 90 day window.

First they said I couldn't switch without paying a $150 fee, I told them check their records again because that wasn't what I signed up for. The rep came back and said, "Oh okay, I see where they may have noted that at sign up", and found a plan that was still $50 dollars more than others. So I told him I'd shop some more and call back to cancel if that was best for Me. He then said, "Oh wait, well let me check one more thing", and came back with a rate that was only like $10 a month higher, so I said, “Okay I'll do that and not go through the hassle to cancel my account." He said, "Well you said you were going to cancel, as so this rate is only for returning customers." I said, "So you want me to pay you $150 to cancel my account, just so I can then purchase energy from you again???" He said, "Well that rate is only for returning customers..." I told him that was ridiculous and goodbye.

About 3 weeks later, I finally decided to just cancel and go with Champion Energy which was $100/month cheaper!! So Reliant billed me for the first month, and for the other 2.5 weeks I used them. I called and told them I signed up for the first month free plan??? Their response was that I was no longer an active account holder so they can't honor that. I said, "Well I was too an account holder after the first month, for 3 weeks after the first month, and no one told me when I signed up, nor when I called to cancel 4 days ago that I would lose the first month free." Then I spoke to another rep who said, "Well actually, when you signed up over two months ago, the rep you spoke to told you your second bill would be free, it's in the disclaimer she read you." Mind you, she had a thick accent so by the end of the 30 min. call to set up, I didn't catch that small "2nd bill" phrase when she spit out the disclosure to me in rapid speed.

So I asked him, "Why would it be the second bill free when it's called the first month free plan, which is also stated on my billing statement, isn't that false advertisement?" He said, "Well some customers start at different times so it's not always a full pay period of 30 days, so we do the second bill." My response, "Oh well great, because my first bill was for a 32 DAY PERIOD, so why wouldn't my first bill be free?" I was practically in tears of frustration at this point and he just kept repeating, “I'm sorry, but there's nothing we can do." In the end: I paid $250 for my first month, $160 for 19 days, and a $150 cancellation. Totaling $560 dollars for a month and a half service. This company is disgusting and robs people of their money.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 11, 2017

This is the first time that I rent an apartment and not knowing that I will having a problem with my electric bill with this company. I lived in 540 sq ft apartment with my dog, I tried my best to save electricity as much as possible which means turn on my AC on daytime only, my refrigerator only accumulate 70 kWh per month, and very seldom use my electric range. Also, I replace all my bulb to led with average consumption of 7 kWh. I work almost everyday and go home at night time. I was surprise that electric bill increase from 320 kWh to 600 kWh and continuing to increase in my next billing cycle! Why? I highly not to recommend this company and make sure do your search before you sign up to any service. Check other competition first and people reviews matters.

Original review: June 10, 2017

The worst energy company I have ever known. It is unclear to understand their Invoices. It changed from $38.00 to $100 for the same consumption for 1 br 625 sf apartment with the only 2 adults who even does not watch TV because we are working hard. I don't recommend Reliant until you want to be overcharged.

Original review: March 10, 2017

I have been a loyal customer of Reliant Energy for about 10 years now and it just so happens I was up for renewal; we have been receiving requests to renew the plan for months now but because of other reasons did not want to renew and were planning on shopping around. Well, we completely forgot to pay the February bill (on time) and we received a disconnection notice for 02/20, I paid the full amount due on 02/22 (when I realized there was a disconnection notice). I received a confirmation notice in my email and when I logged in online to my account it showed that I paid the full amount of $180.53.

Well yesterday after my children's practice we got home a little after 8 pm to find my lights were disconnected. I go online and see that the payment was received so I call Reliant and the said they didn't receive my payment. I saw it in my account so I am not sure why they were saying that so I go back online to see the status of the payment, and it was "CANCELLED." Cancelled? By Who? I asked to know what account the last payment was made out of and how much and they couldn't clearly tell me, all their rep kept saying is for me to send proof of the payment coming out of my bank account.

I am the only person who has access to my bank account, and if it was cancelled by my bank believe me that I would see a returned check fee. I checked my emails and there was no revised bill or notice of returned payment, so again, why was my light disconnected?! I have all my confirmations for the payment but for some reason someone on Reliant's end cancelled the payment that I made, thus causing my lights to be disconnected and get charged several fees. Reliant's rep stated that they would request a review and they would send reimburse me for the "disconnection fees."

I took screenshots of everything to prove confirmations and that I never cancelled the payment, it was even showing on my bank account until recently, and there was more than enough for the payment to process. Reliant continues to blame me for the cancellation! On top of the disconnection, cancellation of my payment and added fees, while the rep for Reliant was requesting the review she says to me "since you have been a loyal reliant customer I am going to go ahead and renew your 14 month contract for you to make sure you are locked into our cheapest rates..."

HOLD ON! What did you just say!? This woman was seriously going to attempt to RENEW a 14 month contract although they were burdening with such!? I made it very clear that she is not to renew our contract and we were going to be leaving Reliant for continuing with their fees and bogus cancellations of my payments so that I get disconnections and fees charged to my account. This only happens when we are set to renew and we have not called in to do so. They make sure that you call them for something, and of course, what else causes a call other than your lights being disconnected for NO REASON!!! What an inconvenience. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH RELIANT ENERGY!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliant Energy?

Original review: March 4, 2017

I was stupid enough to listen to a door-to-door salesman offering me the great deal with Reliant Energy. Weekend electricity completely gratis and reasonable week rates. Sounded great? Within two months billing cycle I saw that the week rates more than made up for the "free" week rates and I was paying an unreasonable high AVERAGE rate. When I tried to cancel I was told I had to pay $300 early cancellation fee. My account was a yearly contract and therefore had to pay that cancellation fee. I cancelled the service after a year and was still presented with the $300 early cancellation fee. Phoned them and they agreed that there was an error and would credit me back. Two days later received a phone call that I actually had signed up for a 3-year contract and that I still had to pay the $300 cancellation fee. Stay away from this company, they are crooks and scammers.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

Please take it from me! Do not sign up for electricity with Reliant. I was with Reliant for 19 years! Yes, 19 years!!! I was stupid enough to stay with them for that long, and I don't even have one good reason why! I recently moved and had previously noticed that my monthly bill was increasing. I decided to go with Ambit. When I called to cancel with Reliant, they couldn't even find my account with the account number I had used for 19 years to pay them each month. Finally, she found it using my maiden name which I haven't used in over 12 years!?? When I told her why I was leaving, she didn't even bother to thank me for my years of loyal business. All she was concerned with was getting my new address to send the final bill! Well, I got my final bill and it was $236. I paid $100 at that time and planned to pay the rest after I got caught up from moving!

Tonight I checked my mail and there was a bill from them threatening to send me to collections if I didn't pay the balance immediately! It's not even about the money! It's how they treat you! You are just a number to this company! They shouldn't be allowed to do business with people! This is what 19 years with them did for me! Please don't make the same mistake I did! Go with a company who cares whether you stay with them or not! Reliant Energy sucks!!!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

When I moved into my new apartment last July, I was told that Reliant is the only power company that I can use at the complex. Alright. I call them up, and boy, can they swindle a person. First, the woman convinces me to get surge protection, which I don't need at all. I try to say no. She won't let up. The way she phrased things, though, made me worry that without it, something horrible could happen. Alright. Tack that onto the bill. Then she tries to convince me to put a $3.95 donation on each billing cycle. I say no. She LITERALLY won't let me continue setting up my service until I agree to it. By that, I mean she just kept repeating the information in different ways and desperately trying to convince me to agree to it. Finally, I allowed myself to be coerced because I just wanted to get my power set up.

They charge outrageous amounts for power. My parents pay about $120/month for an entire house in upstate NY in the middle of winter. September in Texas, and my bill was almost $200. Why? They won't help me figure out how to cut back on power usage or break down my bill for me so I can see what the distribution is. Whatever.

The final straw was when I finally called and said, "Take these extra charges off my bill." They say they will. Next month comes. Nope. Still there. Call again. Same thing. Finally, my bills are so outrageously high that I can't pay, so I try to work something out with them. They graciously allow me to pay half now and distribute the other half across the next few bills. I agree. The next power bill is OUTRAGEOUS, and the extra charges are still there. Tack on the extra bit from our agreement, and the bill is over $270. I can't pay. They threaten to disconnect me if I don't pay that entire bill plus the rest of what I owe from the prior month. (That's right. They reneged on their own deal.)

Did I mention they charged me $10 for a disconnection notice? I frantically called my grandparents to help me. I make my grandmother a designated person on the account that can inquire about things and even help pay. They charged her the entire bill, which was about $400. Then they said the next cycle would start in December, so we wouldn't have to pay until after that. They tell her they can't remove the extra charges for surge protection and donation unless I say so. Fair enough. It's my account primarily and all that.

So I call. Again. The woman informs me that my next bill is due in a week (It's the beginning of December at this point.), and she starts to ask me why I want the charges off. I went bananas. I've never been so rude to someone over the phone in my life, but my grandmother has lung cancer and is 80-years-old. They literally LIED to a dying, old woman. She is not senile, and she is no stranger to dealing with bills and the like. When she says the representative told her something, they definitely told her that specific thing. So I'm trying to tell this woman that I need to hang up before I get even angrier, and she keeps trying to get me to stay on the phone. Are you crazy, lady?

So I hang up. I pay. Charges are STILL THERE. I call. Again. The guy on the phone FINALLY removes the charges and puts in a ticket for me to get a credit on my bill for the BS I went through. He says that the reason they didn't take it off was that, even though I had clearly stated I didn't want those charges on my next bill, the phone call had been "cut off" before they could finish. Not sure why they didn't just do what I had asked them to do (multiple times) regardless of whether or not I was on the phone. I had made my wishes very clear. They chose to ignore that. I still have heard hide nor hair of my "credit" for the charges. I also got another disconnection notice, five days after I had paid them and even gotten a confirmation email (and a text!) saying that they'd received my payment. They are charging me $10 for that notice.

If I had my choice in power companies, Reliant would be last. As is, I am looking for another apartment for when my lease runs out. The location is great, the rent is perfect, and management is very kind and understanding. So why am I moving? As long as Reliant is my only option, this apartment complex is not an option.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Average billing for Texas with Reliant Energy is a joke. It is more expensive with it than your regular plan. I had signed up for it for 1 month, cancelled after first bill as it was 100 dollars more than my regular bill. Next month comes along and the new bill is around $200 dollars. With my plan it would of been only $135 for the month but they added $62.22 to my bill for the balance due from billing plan. I barely had the average billing for a month. Canceled it ASAP, and they did not even tell me I would have to pay for cancelling it. I cannot afford a $200 electric bill in an apartment. DO NOT DO AVERAGE BILLING. As Soon as I find the money to pay the damn bill I am cancelling my electric with Reliant and going elsewhere. TOO EXPENSIVE FOR AN APARTMENT!!

Called and they said there was nothing they could do to remove it, so I will not pay it and I refuse to pay it. I've always paid on time, they could of gotten my regular bill at $135 and now they will get nothing and I do not care if it goes onto my credit because they won't get that damn money from me. So sick of companies like this.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

At the beginning of this month, in the evening, I bumped into a fast talking representative at Albertsons' grocery store. She asked me how much I paid per kWh. I didn't know off the top of my head, but I was able to tell her how much my last bill was. She responded as if I was out of my mind & said with Reliant she could get me a better rate & I'd be paying at least $50 less a month. I was shocked & interested. She had me fill something out on her tablet & said the next day she'd call me & go over bills etc. I got home found out how wrong she was & I had ZERO desire to switch.

I called the next morning (LESS THAN 12hrs later) & cancelled. They gave me the runaround & I spent 3.5 hrs on the phone with them, my company, & Oncor confirming there would be no switching. I also signed a new 2 yr agreement with my company. Reliant assured me after multiple conversations the switch was cancelled & there would be no fees etc. I just got an email from Reliant explaining my 1st bill. I called to explain that I should NOT have an account. The operator said, "I'm sorry but your cancellation was rejected, and the department that handles that is closed right now so you will have to call back later." How can they "reject" my cancellation, AND not notify me?

It's deceptive, sneaky, underhanded, wasted a LOT of my time & it may cost me additional fees with my real electric company due to being in a contract. I wish I had never gone to the grocery store & bumped into the little shyster con artist. They'll chalk it all up to a "miscommunication", I'm sure, but this could only be a series of deliberate communication errors when you weigh my diligence in attempting to clarify that I would not be switching to Reliant. I even had to give them reasons why I wasn't switching & sit through more of their attempts selling me their services. Charlatans.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

Reliant Energy is the worst service company ever!! We moved to Dallas over two years ago; my son moves to Dallas two months later, we both fall into the trap of Affordable Energy. They were on it to get our business, but when the bill triple then quadruple, we could not get help or anyone on the phone not even if their existence depends on it. When we got people on the phone, they were not aware of previous conversations or deals. No one was available to help. When you pay over $300 per month on a 1,600 Sq. Ft. apartment, me traveling 60% each month, only my wife and I, there is a problem. Of course, I asked them to cancel my services, release my account. Big mistake, that is when our problems begin.

It took a month and $800 to cancel. Regarding my son, he still battling them, but he is up to $1,000 now. Their trick, they said that you are released, disconnected, they don't follow up on that then the bill next month comes in even higher. You need to call every day for like three weeks if you want to be released from that nightmare. IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING RELIANT ENERGY, DON'T.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

I called to talk with them about my bill because I needed an extra day to pay my bill because my husband had been laid off for several months and just returned to work and his pay dates changed. They told me that there was nothing they could do to help because my account didn't qualify for an extension. I told them I just needed an extra day but basically told me that they couldn't help. Worse company I have ever dealt with. In fact, they told me I should try to find a charity that could pay my bill for me. I told them that was ridiculous for one day and that there are people that really need the help. One day... they say customers come first but that is not really true. That's BS.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2016

I was contacted by Reliant Energy rep and told if I switched to Reliant that they would use the same rate and not charged for energy on the weekends. My energy bill has consistency been higher than before and after 9 months I had to pay $295 cancellation fee. I can only surmise that this is some kind of scam.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

I just moved into my apartment in May of this year (2016). May, June, July my bill was 35 dollars. I couldn't believe it myself but I was elated. I'm a young, adorable college student, no kids, just trying to make a living out in this cruel world. Well I called to make July's 35 dollar payment over the phone at work, outside on a quick break. Of course here comes Reliant with their damn specials trying to get someone to sign up for some **. I HATE CONTRACTS. I KEEP MY NAME TO MYSELF. So the guy kept trying to tell me about their 12-month contract plan and how I was month to month and I could save. I'm like "no I'm excellent with month to month paying 35 bucks." He kept trying. He's like "you could be paying 27 dollars rather than 35." I'm like "ok that sounds good." That's all I said. I then said "I tell you what can you send me so info on it and I'll look into it." He's like ok and that was it.

My next two bills for Aug and September is 100 bucks a piece. Are you serious??? I haven't touched my thermostat at all. Ever since I talked to him my bill went up not down I called and the guy said I'm on a 12 month plan. I'm like wait what??? HOLD UP! I didn't sign or agree to anything. Mind you I'm cry, eyes red. This is so unfair. He took what I said and put me into a contract. I literally felt life exit my body. These people are scammers and something must be done. Since they claim they record every damn thing. Play the recording back where I agreed to this **. I'm now on a contract and nothing I can do about it beside buy out of it and I never recalled getting into it. If I wanted contract I would've did that to begin. The guy told me verbatim that he placed me under a higher rate than what I was paying. I said I know because there's no way in hell I'm paying 35 and out the clear blue sky jump to 100 bucks.

This makes me so sick to my stomach. I haven't slept well at all. I just have to pay it and it's not right. He see what happened to me and all he can say is he sorry. Yeah me too. & people wonder why folks flip and purge because the judicial system is **. We have rights and I guarantee you I'm not letting this go. WHY IN THE HELL WOULD I SIGN UP FOR A 12 MONTH CONTRACT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY DAMN LEASE. I moved in May. It was going into August. Who wants to pay more than 35 dollars a month? ** UP!!! RELIANT HAS LOST ALL RESPECT FROM ME AND I HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN WITH THEM LONG. PEOPLE DON'T GO HERE. IT'S A SETUP.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I called this month to find out how much my bill was and they said for this month it was 821.00. That is absolutely ridiculous. I have never in my life paid a light bill this high. There should be something we could do about them charging whatever they want. People like me don't have that kind of money for lights. There should be a law as to how much max they can charge you for one month. They are ridiculous and will not work with you. As soon as I can I will be changing light companies but what are people to do. You PAY IT OR YOU DON'T HAVE LIGHTS!!! That's ridiculous!!!

Original review: July 8, 2016

We are two senior citizens, living in a small 2x2 apartment located in a low income senior apartment complex. In the past 5 years, our average electric bill through Reliant/Centerpoint Energy has averaged around 200.00 per month - year round. Much to our surprise, and consternation, our latest bill was for a whopping 561.89. Now if my elementary school math is correct, that is an increase of 361.00 give or take a few pennies. Percentage wise this is an increase of 100% (as there can only be 100% of anything) or to put it another way, we have been gouged!

I phoned Reliant and spoke to a customer service rep. She was very nice and cordial while explaining to me that "you have a smart meter ma'am, and they are never wrong." She went further to tell me to go outside, and try and locate my meter, read it, and get back to Reliant, with the results. In addition to this, the rep mentioned to me that the large charge was down to one day? June 16th to be exact! One day? Hey folks we aren't growing pot up here for goodness sakes.

Lastly, the rep told me that she would gather all of the information regarding our account, and that she would call me back. It's been 2 days now and I haven't heard a bloody thing! Jeepers what can two old farts do? Well, I'll tell you what I did - I filed a complaint with the Texas Energy Commission. If I don't get any good results there, I'll contact channel 2, and get that feisty blond gal on their butts - She always gets results. As far as we are concerned Reliant sucks.

Original review: June 26, 2016

I had service at an address for 6 months and realized that the billing information was incorrect. The address was wrong and the meter number was wrong. I review previous bills. The meter had changed 2 previous times. I had been paying my bill regularly, but no one was living at the address. We were planning on working on the house. Initially they said that I put the order in for the wrong address. Fine but we were on the phone with Oncor for an hour putting the service on at the right place. In looking at the bills I question the amount of the bills. Why am I paying 72.00 for an empty house? That when I realized the meter number was incorrect also. I only had a few previous bills but they were billing me for 3 different meters. They said they corrected it several times.

I got 5 bills this week. One had credit of 6.00, another said bill of less than 100. The one I got today was bill of 120.00?? So I called again, got supervisor again, was told it's my responsibility again. Apparently I called, place an order for the wrong address. We moved the service to the right address so I am responsible for both addresses. Also when that other address person moved I was responsible for that address also. I reworded how that came across like so if the wrong apartment number is on the original order but is corrected and you get service, you would still be responsible for anyone living in that apartment. Period.

Supervisor Cecilia said it's not Oncor or Reliant's job to cancel an order if an error is made on the original order. So I just realized I need to call Reliant and cancel 3 different meter number orders? At least until I get this corrected. The current bill is 386.00 for an empty house, but due to my deposit it brought it down. They said there is no complaint fax number or address they can give me. I want to send my bills to show all the different meter numbers. I also got the year's usage for my account number.

The house had been empty for 3 years at least. It showed an continuous bill also so it was someone's account number... Probably the person at the wrong address. What the next step? PUC? Channel 4? I had told previous reps my account, meter NUMBERS, and ID #. It was all in the notes. Last supervisor which told me I was responsible for the wrong address from December and even now was asking for all the meter numbers again. Previous rep had told me he could see them. She said she was going to hang up on me since we were going in circles. I hung up on her since she couldn't give me an address and basically told be I had to pay for my neighbor's service.

Updated on 07/30/2016: I have had service with Reliant for about 7 months. Found out almost 2 months ago that they were billing me for the wrong address and 2 other wrong meters. I called to check on since the address I had should have minimal usage. The bill should have been less $40 since I was working on things before moving in. In getting service we were on the phone over an hour they say I had said wrong address. Fine. I did get service at the CORRECT address finally. But since I didn't specifically cancel the 1st order I am responsible for that bill too??? I think it is corrected as of about month ago, but was still being charged for the wrong address, $75, $80 per month. Was a small town. Wasn't aware.

I requested adjustment of the most recent charge, no they said I didn't cancel until June. I am say I may have made a mistake in the beginning but it was corrected and I did get service at my correct address so I shouldn't be charged. They stand by original recordings. If an error is made the representative should tell you that you will be billed for all address unless you specifically TELL them.

Original review: May 13, 2016

So, we saw the two Reliant dudes in the neighborhood for the past few days and without knowing what they were selling, dreaded having to deal with them. Today I went out to pull some weeds just as they walked up. So there I am with my big floppy hat on, looking ridiculous, while the one dude launches into his spiel. I feign interest to be polite, but at the same time act a little Aspergerish. I also decline to study his clipboard full of example TXU bills too closely, claiming partial blindness, which is somewhat true. However, I AM paying attention enough to listen to the numbers he's spewing. I claim that I really don't handle the bills (true) and that my wife is sleeping. Of course he wants to know when she'll be awake so that SHE can listen to his spiel. Long and short of it: I promised to find them in the neighborhood if she was interested in saving money. Who wouldn't?

Somewhere in this very rapid fire conversation he managed to tell me about free weekends. I said "So, if I run my welding machine all weekend that's free, right?" And he says, "Why yes. As it happens, that's one of the most expensive things you can do, and yes, it would be free." I'm still pulling weeds, sweating, and thinking how great it will feel when I'm back inside with the A/C. A/C! Wouldn't running that all summer cost more than running a few inches of weld on a Saturday afternoon? So having finally extricated myself from these two, I went inside and grabbed the folder with all of my old electric bills. Thanks, Amy! Yes, the numbers he was quoting me were very close to being correct. TXU was charging me slightly over 11 cents per kilowatt hour. He told me all I had to do was call TXU and they would reduce it to 7 cents per kilowatt hour. (This turned out not to be true.) But of course with Reliant it would be - zero! Whuh?

He must be talking about the weekend rate. Everything else was blather, and I told him so. That's right, I remember now. I said I had ADD and my brain was starting to get overloaded. Anyway, I'm back inside now looking at my bill and I realize their flat rate, $150/month plan actually costs me quite a bit more per year. I read some reviews that said other folks in the area pretty much had the same thing happen. But wait! He said if I call TXU they'd give me the 7 cent rate. So I did. Well it turns out it's really 6.9 cents per kilowatt hour - far less than what I'm paying. I spent quite a bit of time analyzing my bill and talking to the TXU bloke on the phone.

As far as I can tell, the only way their 24-month plan, at 6.9 cents, can bite me in the **, is if the rate goes below that. Does anyone think that it will? Mine was consistently at the 11 point something rate all last year. The rate is not going to go down, trust me. So, THANK YOU, Reliant dudes. Had it not been for your ill-timed visit I'd still be paying a higher rate with TXU. To echo another review on here, yes, TXU probably does count on your ignorance. Now that I'm better informed and took the time to make a ten-minute phone call, I'm at their lower rate.

Original review: April 8, 2016

I was a customer with Reliant for 4.5 years and was okay with them even though I watched my bills closely. My apartment was 500 sq foot and I lived alone and seldom used my air conditioning. I got on average billing and by the time I moved and had the service disconnected due to the apartment I moved to had all bills paid. My average billing had reached $86.00 per month.

My beef with Reliant started when I received a bill for almost $320.00. I delayed paying my final bill because I did get moved out of my old apartment and went over into the next month's billing cycle by a few days. I received what I thought was my final bill of about $150.00 of which I thought was a little high but was going to pay it. However, before I could pay it I received another bill for the aforementioned $320.00.

I called and they gave me some story that bill included deferred billing. Seriously, I feel very strongly this was an early termination fee for breaking the contract. Okay, but the problem is I was not under a contract and specifically avoid a contract. By the way I am a paraplegic and the apartment unit I moved into was not handicapped accessible and I was talked into taking it until they had one more suitable for my needs. So, I did not want to go through the hassle for breaking the contract when I relocated to another unit or complex altogether.

I spent two months in a hospital after surgery and paid on bills via online while there. As I was looking at an app showing my energy usage, I noticed that I used more energy the day before than the following day. Well, as I said I was in the hospital and nobody was in my apartment so how could I use more energy. This became a red flag for me that something going on. I honestly feel like it was their way of retaliating against me for not transferred the service. When I contacted them about my bill some asked why I did not transfer the service. I am still battling them as of today about this bill over two years later. In closing, I would NOT use them again and warning my family and friends to stay away from them as well.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2016

Reliant sales rep was going door to door. Ever hear the expression, “Sounds too good to be true?” Everything he said ended up not to be so true. Was not unhappy with my current carrier at the time but being on social security I am always looking for ways to save money. I was told I would receive a $300 rebate which I could use towards my final bill with the previous carrier. Turns out half $150 came off second bill and the rest will come off on the 18th bill. Only thing I can figure is they save themselves a $150 if you drop them before the 18th month. Very slick. Had just paid my previous electric bill and had to come up with an additional $334.53 which include a $175 penalty.

Was told by rep, after he looked at my old bill, “You won’t have to pay any more than $125.” Then he told me the plan for me was the plan which included free electricity on weekends. Again was sounding too good to be true, but I was thinking “Wow, how can I not save some money on this plan?” I showed him some of my past bills. Was told I could expect at least $15.00 to $20.00 savings on all of my bills. My current bill from Reliant without the $150.00 deduction is higher than all my bills from my previous carrier for the last 12 months, and that’s with free electricity on weekends?

Called to complain, but they wanted to know who the rep was. Was told to call back when I found the paperwork with the reps name. Just wondering. They got all the information from their rep to start my service. Couldn’t they just look at the paperwork submitted by him and find out who he was? Well like they say, “There’s no fool like an old fool.” Guess it’s on me. Should have read the fine print, took what I was hearing at face value. Going to give it 2 more months. Pretty sure if this bill was my highest in 12 months the rest are not going to be any lower. Then I’ll have to drop them and pay another large fee but in the long run I think I will come out ahead. I guess we all live and learn.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2016

We accidentally overpaid Reliant over $14,000.00 when making an online bank payment and contacted them within a week to ask them to return the monies to our bank account. We also contacted our bank of the error and when they contacted Reliant they were told that the money could not be returned that we would have to call to authorize the overpayment and a check would be mailed. We have made call after call to reliant and can never get past the customer service rep.

We have been told several times that a check is in the mail and to be patient that the process takes 21 days or that it will take the supervisor 24 - 48 hours to get back to us. Well it's been since Dec. 31, the first phone conversation and about 30 hours since our last talk with a CS rep and told that the supervisor will call in 24-48 and still no phone call nor a check and today is Feb 11. I believe we have waited our 21 days and still haven't had the opportunity to speak to some that doesn't have a script in front of them to answer our questions.

Granted this began as our mistake and it is terrifying to realize that you paid 1500 on a $15 bill but, the real terrifying horror is trying to get Reliant to send us a check for the overpayment!!! I'm sure my rant will fall on deaf ears but, it somehow is calming my anger. I encourage you to move on to the next electric company!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2016

Holy crap, I had Reliant for 2 years, and I paid a $240 deposit when I set up the account. I had to cancel my service due to moving, and called 2 weeks later once I had my new address to get service again. They asked me for another $290 DEPOSIT. I said "What happened to my old deposit?" They tell me that since I paid late ONCE - ONCE - I FORFEITED my deposit. Because I paid late once. Are you friggin' kidding me??? When did I agree to that? Matthew McConaughey doesn't mention THAT in his Reliant commercials, does he?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2016

I had a Reliant's commercial walked to my house talking about switch my electric company over Reliant. At the time I told him I will be pcsing overseas in less than 2 months and I don't see the point of switching. He offered me a free weekend consumption and $150 credit on my bill. I never received any contracts, documents from them at all. I called to ask for it and they told me "you are good and you should receive it" till I called to cancel the contract right before I left country. Reliant sent me a final notice bill of $126 to be pay right away. Call the customer service trying to explain first why my 26 days bill is too high cause with my old company I didn't have a free weekend consumption but was paying around $100 for 30 days. They lied to me about the price for the kwh.

And second I ask them what about my $150 credit and they told me I am not entitled to it cause I only have 1 bill cycle therefore I have to pay. Why am I paying for something I never had a contract and Customer ID number before? I first saw all the information on my final bill. And these guys never told me at the beginning that I need at least 2 billing cycles to use that fake credit they talked about to have you over to their company. Please be careful with their scams.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2016

A commission based salesman tried to get us to sign up with Reliant but we never did. But he did get us to sign an LOA which gives them permission to get our historical cost from previous providers. We believe he digitally lifted that signature off that document and put it on a contract for new service with Reliant. We signed up with someone else but we got a bill from Reliant and they charged us a $5,000 cancellation fee. They can't produce a contract with an original signature, only a digital one. They can't produce a salesman that took a signature. They are playing hardball with us threatening lawsuit if we don't pay. We have an attorney and are contesting.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2016

Tried to get electricity with Reliant. They said they needed two forms of ID. I sent one until I could get to my passport and scan it so that they would have a second form of ID. Well I guess I was a day late getting it to them so they terminated me before I even got started. "No service started". But now I have received a bill for $0.18 cents. When I called in to pay the .18 cents that I shouldn't have to pay they didn't even have my name in the billing. Stay Away from this company. I don't have the time to tell you the other phone calls I went through with them...

Original review: Jan. 8, 2016

8-year customer sitting here in the dark right now because I'm 3 weeks late on my bill. Was going to pay it tomorrow when I got paid. I still am but I'm also switching because this is the second time they've done this to me. No notice at all either. No email. No "pink notice." Just surprise you're late for work because your phone didn't charge and your alarm clock had no power! They make their living off of "disconnect fees" and "reconnect fees" and don't care if you have to take a cold shower, can't see to get ready for work, can't make any food for your children and have to throw out all of the food you do have, then buy new food, pay their disconnect and reconnect fees and try to wipe your behind in the dark.

If you owe them, you'd better pay on time. Even my phone company has given me 90 days in the past when I needed extra time. I'm not even 30 days late and I'm shut off completely. 8 years means nothing to them. They didn't even ask me why I was leaving when I set up the disconnect order. They don't care. You're just a number at Reliant.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2016

Tonight I will spend several hours trying to change my rate plan. Something I have done twice before in the last few months. They will TELL me it's done (costing me a $150 termination fee), but then I wait and wait, and it's not done.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2015

Never use this company! I was with Direct Energy before and Reliant came to my door last month promising they can cut my deal down and they made it all sound good so I changed and haven't even got my first bill and find out I'm going to be paying almost double so I call them and to change the plan because I wasn't even getting free weekends like they promised plus a higher rate they tell me they can change it to a better plan but since it's a different plan I still have to pay the $295 early termination free even though I'm not disconnecting my service just changing it! They are crooks and liars! Never believe anything Reliant ever tells you! They will tell you what you want to hear and do the opposite and then try to make you feel stupid for it! Worse company I have dealt with ever in my life next to CenturyLink!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2015

When I signed up with Reliant there was one stipulation and that was my bill had to be due after the 20th of the month and not a day before or I would not sign up and go to another company. Well they did not oblige what they sold me on nor comply with my billing date which was most and foremost important. Not one month went by without my bill being due every day of the month prior to the 20th therefore I had late fees, disconnect fees, late notice payments, and my bills just kept getting higher and higher. Well I complained 18 times and they finally ended up crediting me for every month eventually the 13 month. My 12 month history reflects that I was late every month displaying a horrible payment history.

I could never get anyone to do what they said they were going to do. They even listened to the original message and knew that I was right but still failed to do anything about it. Being on a very low Social Security income it was very important that my due date, my bill, it was very important that my due date was due after the 20th. It was most important along with the rate she quoted me that was supposed to be fixed at 7.9 and ended up being 9.4. I will never go with Reliant again. They lie, they manipulate, they don't know what they're doing, they don't accommodate the customer. They are the worst company ever and I will never recommend anyone to them nor will I ever do business with them again. My advice is to stay away from Reliant Energy no matter what you do.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2015

Reliant energy has different amounts on your account when you call in for a issue on your bill than what amount shows on your bill. Usually it's just 1.30 or 1.75 but they cannot explain why their addition and mine does not add up. Also I was to receive 50.00 for refer a friend credit and my brother was to receive 100.00 in July 2015. We called and called and kept hearing wait another billing cycle or two billing cycles. My brother spoke with a supervisor in September and threatened to change companies and he received his then off his bill.

I just received my bill October 8, 2015 and it was on there but then they added a 25.00 early disconnect charge to my bill. I have NOT had my service disconnected. I called about that and got a lame answer that it was applied after my last bill was late. When according to their billing says a disconnect notice penalty is 10.00. Do Not Use This Electric Service!!! They cram and add things to your bill. I am going to lodge a complaint and investigation with Energy Commission that regulates for cramming. This is the first time I have ever written a bad review. Don't get locked in with a Bad Company like this.

Reliant Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Reliant is a child company of the larger Fortune 500 company NRG. They provide businesses of all sizes as well as residential customers with electricity throughout the state of Texas.

• Rewards: Reliant offers rewards for customers who use their company, including airline miles, bill credits and more.

• Extra services: Reliant offers clients a move center to help them set up their utilities in a new place when relocating.

• Discount plans: Reliant offers discount plans for people who want better deals on their electricity bill, including promotions such as free nights and weekends.

• Customer service: Reliant employs many employees, and their customer service can be inconsistent depending on who you talk to.

• Cost: Reliant may charge more for electricity delivery than other companies in the state.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs