Texas

3.9/5 (179 ratings)

About Reliant Energy

Reliant Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliant Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliant Energy?

Original review: July 19, 2021

Product was purchased in June 5, 2019 through Reliant Energy. According to the salesperson this was a good company. From the beginning it took a week for the installation. The installer changed the way the original installation should have been installed without my permission. Since that time the Air Conditioner have been serviced in 2020. It was service in April 2021 for the summer tune-up. In June 14, 2021 the air conditioner went out. Technician stated no Freon and bad battery needed to be replaced. In July 17, 2021 the fan needs to be replaced.

Since April 2021 Reliant relocated their service department. Since that time Reliant Energy has contracted out to Go Flow Plumbing and Air Conditioning which is a small Company trying to handle all these services. Go Flow schedules appointment they can't keep and never call you back to cancel nor reschedule the call. This is not professional and unacceptable to the consumer. I am only into 2 years paying on this unit and refuse to continue with this product and technician not being able to repair the unit that only works temporarily. Need Help.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

I was a customer of Reliant for several years when they offered me the Average Billing option. DO NOT ACCEPT AVERAGE BILLING. The idea is that if some months you will pay less than what you own and build up a debit on your account, other months you will either pay back that debit or build a credit. So far so good. The problem was the amount you pay will NEVER result in you building a credit. So instead of averaging my bills out, it just swapped them so I was paying a lot of money in the winter and very little in the summer. Also, it worked out that my contract always ended when the deferred amount was at it's peak. Meaning I either add to pay out several hundred dollars to leave Reliant, renew my contract (although I don't know what good that did as my prices still changed every month), or go to a monthly plan (where they could really jack my rates up).

Whenever I tried to complain about "Average Billing" not averaging my bills, I was met with the phone call equivalent of a shrug and complete disinterest from the customer service representative. I cannot recommend Reliant in any way and would recommend staying as far away from them and their shady business practices as possible.

Get buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I was using Reliant energy from last 9 months and I tried to use less electricity as much as possible but my electricity bill goes up every month so I called reliant customer service. They said you have to be on contract with us to get less bill and I signed up contract with them for 12 month then also my electricity bill was higher than usual. Again I called customer service. They said, "You are not on our contract and currently we are charging you 13.9 cents per kwh." So I will recommend future residence not to take reliant energy as they mislead people. Within last 9 month I never found my electricity bill below 100$ so beware!! Even though if you will try to use less electricity you will not find less bill. Do not go with reliant energy.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I opened my account 1 yr ago and so far their sales agents have used my name and info to open 6 other accounts. I have never given my consent, have called them several times, filed police reports, contacted gov identity theft etc.. and they haven't solved much now they want to charge me for those "people" electric consumption. Just DON'T go with this company. They will use your identity without your consent.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

The customer service agents like to hang up on you when they are asked a difficult question regarding charges. They also make sure to disconnect the call to make sure you cannot take the survey, which leaves someone like myself to leave reviews that can be found elsewhere about how terrible the service is. I would not recommend this provider to anyone and I will be buying my way out of my ridiculous service plan.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

HORRIBLE!!! VERY HIGH BILL!!! Since day 1.. They promised my bill would be lower than my previous electricity company.... LIES!!! DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!!! The bill just keeps increasing! DO NOT USE THESE PEOPLE!!! When you sell and move out of your home due to Covid and lack of income they hit you with a bill 3 times higher and force you to pay it with no options or help!! They have no regard as to what people are going through right now. The just want their money... POS company!!!

Original review: July 14, 2020

Worst electrical company I ve ever dealt with. I was so easy to talk me in with the bs "rates" which actually change based on how much you use. What a ripoff! As soon as I done with them I don't want o ever hear about them. No reminders about your bills, and as every professional person who has a busy lifestyle you forget sometimes to pay bills that are scheduled in the middle of the month. I haven't gotten a single mail from them nor email nor a text message to remind me I have a past due bill. I guess it is their little con to get it disconnected and the charge you $40 in disconnect/reconnect fees. "GOOD GOING"! Very ethical. I tried signing up for automatic payments but every time they tell me I have to talk to special department. I actually talked to them once and supposedly they saved my information but 2 months later - again - disconnection in middle of the day on a 100'F weather. I would definitely NOT recommend them!

Original review: June 15, 2020

If there's any way I can give them negative points, I will give them. I used Reliant services for almost a year. I barely used electricity and my bill every month was $25-40. Even in mid summer of 100s temperature, I used to get $30-40 every month. Part of the reason was I was always traveling and I was never home to use the electricity.

In January, I was home for 4 days and they billed me $123. I called them and questioned and they said that they can re-read the meter. They failed to adjust that bill and I ended up paying. Meanwhile, they were sending me emails to renew my contract. The following month, I was in Guatemala on work and I received an email mentioning how last week my energy usage was high. I hadn't been home for 2 weeks. I lived in very high security building in Houston, I had motion cameras in my house. I knew nobody had entered my apartment so how could I be receiving high energy usage email? I came back after 3 weeks and called Reliant and mentioned that I can provide them my airline tickets, Passport stamps to prove I wasn't home and there had been a mistake. If they could re-read the meter and adjust my $190 bill (for February) that they sent me for using electricity.

Meanwhile, I had to move out for work purposes out of state and I called and disconnected the services and kept on trying to resolve this problem. They gave me a run around and instead of coming to a resolution, they sent my bill to collection without getting back with a resolution. I will be taking a case against them to customer court. I have reported them to BBB so this matter can be looked into so, there are many others who have been victimized by this company can seek justice.

Original review: May 22, 2020

No one has lived in the property since I bought it four months ago. My bill has been 10-20 dollars a month. No AC on and the only electricity being used was to paint and landscape. That stopped about a month ago. I got the bill today and it was 210. Basically customer service said someone was stealing electricity or the meter was not working properly. They said I would have to call Texas/New Mexico to dispute the charge. If I have to do everything to resolve the issue then why on earth do I need to pay Reliant. I wish we could just buy electricity from TNMP. Reliant is useless.... THANK the Lord I fired them!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I have been a Reliant customer for 5 years. I move two and then I noticed my energy bills increasing. I complained but reliant could do nothing. I turned off everything from the panel and signed up to smarter meter Texas. Well the meter kept going center point. Said that there was nothing wrong with the meter. My bill for 32 days just me. And I don't cook at home. I don't have washer and dryer at home. I don't use the dishwasher and I have a fireplace. I very seldom use the heater. My hot water heater is low on 120 degrees. My bill came out to $300 for 32 days. I cannot pay them. They are price gouging me. So I will let them disconnect my lights because if I pay them they will just send me another much higher bill so I am done with them.

Reliant Energy author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Reliant is a child company of the larger Fortune 500 company NRG. They provide businesses of all sizes as well as residential customers with electricity throughout the state of Texas.

• Rewards: Reliant offers rewards for customers who use their company, including airline miles, bill credits and more.

• Extra services: Reliant offers clients a move center to help them set up their utilities in a new place when relocating.

• Discount plans: Reliant offers discount plans for people who want better deals on their electricity bill, including promotions such as free nights and weekends.

• Customer service: Reliant employs many employees, and their customer service can be inconsistent depending on who you talk to.

• Cost: Reliant may charge more for electricity delivery than other companies in the state.

Reliant Energy Company Information