1.20/5
Based on 148 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a Texas electricity company?

Texas

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

201 Reliant Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I had to cancel my services due to moving to a new area and the services no longer being available at my new location. I was told that since services weren't available at my new location I would not receive any charges for cancelling my plan. Then I was charged a $250 fee on my last bill. After calling I was told it was due to the fact that my services had actually been switched to a new company on that day??? It literally made no sense. It's my rental property. Nobody else installed services there. I was also on average billing. They tell you when you sign up for average billing that the "deferred balance" is not an amount due. However that's not the case. You owe the deferred balance. This left me with a whopping $363 fee for electricity charges. The way they lie to get you to sign up for their "great promotions" is a joke.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Was approached by Reliant salesman in Sam's Club that said no contract to switch from who I was with already. That said they guaranteed that I would save money. All lies. My first and second electric bill was over 2 times higher than my previous electric bills were. Called them and told them that were fired then they said I was under a contract. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this company that lies and makes guarantees that are false. Still fired them anyway. Their bills are outrageously high. Modern day thieves and crooks. Will never trust anyone from this company again.

Get expert buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Went shopping at Sam's Club. Two people from Reliant stopped us. Asking us, "Do you want to save money on electricity." We said yes. Said to go with Reliant. Have no contract at all. We got our Bills and they were high. Then called them and told us we were in a contract. When we signed up with them they said no contract. They are very unhonest. Very rude also. Never will go back again.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Reliant free nights & weekends. Reliant offers better rates per kW. Pay deposit if credit not great. All lies. Nothing is free. The contract states in small print they can change the agreement at any time, which is not an agreement and they never honor deal you signed for. Deposits mean something different to them; however 1st person I spoke to about sending my deposit to me after I moved, verified address and was sending. I never received it, so I called, new rule, it was not a deposit they pay back, it's a deposit they keep. Whaaat?!? That has to be unethical and breaking Consumer Laws and Rights. Reporting your butt everywhere. Scammers!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I’ve been a loyal customer for a half dozen years. They have changed their practices and are no longer customer centric. As much as I enjoyed my service in the past, they expressed they are having difficulties. I strongly recommend that you avoid this energy company at the present time. Viewing the other complaints, it appears that others have been gouged as well. Looking for electric service or if you're currently using them, be careful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliant Energy?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

A salesman came to our door stating that we had been overpaying for our electric bill and we needed to sign some papers to get a refund and a reduced rate. When my wife asked if he was with the energy company we were using, he said yes, and claimed that Reliant was just a subsidiary of the other company (a complete fabrication). He was actively deceitful and forceful in pressing the paperwork, and gave zero indication that we were signing up for a completely different electrical company, even after asked directly about it and after the paperwork was signed!

We called Reliant that evening, told them about the fraud, and specifically instructed them to cancel our enrollment. They assured us that the enrollment would be cancelled, that we would experience no service disruption, and that we would be perfectly free to remain with our current energy provider. That was last week. Today, we received a notice from our current provider that our service is being transferred - this despite the clear assurance of the Reliant representative that we wouldn't have to deal with this. I have a recording of the phone call where their agent promised that we would be free to remain with our current company with no issues; this was apparently just as honest as their salesman was. We will never ever use this company. If this is how they conduct their business, it wouldn't even matter if the energy was free, it's not worth it.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I was shopping in Walmart in Abilene around the middle of Nov.2018 and was stopped by a young sales girl and I took it to be her male boss as he was telling her what to do. I let her do her sales pitch on. She ask if I wanted to save money and "Of course who don't," I said but I would look at what Reliant rates are but will not switch my service. She said, "Just look at our rates but in order to send them to you I need you to sign because of the privacy act." I had no indication that I was signing up for their service until I received A notice from TXU energy stating I requested to terminate and did I make that request. I told them no from the get go. I declined anything to do with Reliance except look at their rates. I called TXU and told them to switch back to their service.

What this company is doing and committing fraud. They apparently have scammed a lot of people, I received a bill for $ 238.46, $180.00 early cancellation, $49.20 energy charge, taxes $4.58 and $ 46.68. I was paying for something that I had no idea I was even on their service until I received notice from TXU. I called and they said I did agree to their service, all I agreed to is looking at their rates was what I was told.You people have a license to steal. I will not pay the $$180 that you say is a cancellation fee but that's all. I will make it my life calling to make sure you don't scam someone else.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

This is the worst service I have ever seen. They are charging 10 times more than what currently charging in high cost living cities and they are worst in everything. Customer care is the worst of all that pain points.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I would like to review Reliant 0 or -100 stars if I could. These guys are cheaters trying to steal money from my pocket. When I joined the plan, they told me the rate is 12 cents/kWh; when I see the bill, it is 16 cents/kWh!!! They charge delivery fees but did not tell me. I lived in VA and MD before but this is the first and only GREED company to charge electricity delivery in my life. I hate Reliant and will NEVER deal with them.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Hands down one of the worst companies I’ve dealt with. Every single month they tack on some bogus late charge; disconnect recovery fee; or “reconnection” fee...even though the bill isn’t late and nothing was shut off. They will say it will be fixed, and not to pay it - then you actually are late, when they don’t fix it, and continue to add it each month. I’ve been doing this cycle for 10 months. They admit they’re wrong; say they’ll adjust; don’t; charge you again. It’s a complete racket. Don’t waste your time or money. Have forked over hundreds of dollars this year to “keep the power on”.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Stay FAR, FAR AWAY from this company! They will rip you off with their "average billing". They will put you on their highest rate and charge you out the wazoo! When we finally canceled, they sent us a final bill for over $900, even though they've already fleeced us for thousands. I wouldn't even wish these criminals on my worst enemy. Do yourself a favor and add them to your blacklist.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Reliant Energy overcharges their customers for the CenterPoint Energy delivery charge. Ambit Energy averages $15.00 a month where Reliant averages $115.00 per month. Reliant says this price is regulated by the state of Texas. If that were true, then it should be closer to Ambit. The Better Business Bureau says I should have shopped by pricing better. I did shop the pricing, it's the extra fees that you don't know about until you start getting billed.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I have mailed in auto pay documents, done it on the phone with them, and done it online. It has never worked and they shut off my power every month. I get on the phone and they apologize and tell me they don't know what happened. I get home after being gone a couple days and my powers off and my fridge is warm. I have had to replace my food in my fridge every month this year. There is no other company I can use. They won't pay for my groceries. They are terrible.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Worse provider ever. Each month I pay exactly what the statement says pay. After 1 year I noticed everything dollar I applied to my bill on the app was going to electricity and none to security. When I called in a rep tells me not to worry about it. When my average billing payment lowers in the winter months to just keep paying what I normally pay on average billing and it’ll balance out. Wake up this morning and my security is disabled. I call in again and they say whoever told me this lied to me. Well hell. If you billed me right from the beginning this would of never happened. Now they expect me to pay a lump sum of almost $700 before I can separate the alarm and electricity into two different bills, which by the way is what I requested from the jump. Do not get on balance billing. It’s a complete rip-off and don’t go with their security.

It’s only a sure fire way to get you caught up and in all kinds of debt with them to ensure they keep you on as a customer. Once the contracts are up RELIANT you will be replaced! All my life I stayed with this company because I was told they’re the best but now they’re the worse. Customer service lady I talked to was rude, very disrespectful, and wanted nothing more than just to collect money vs trying to help me solve the mixup that got me to this point in the first place. They are smooth fast talking salesman that promise you the best of everything and deliver nothing. At the end of the call nothing was resolved, they still didn’t assume responsibility for their mistakes even though the call I made and details of the conversation was in the notes. This company is only out for money. They could care less anymore about good customer service. Their reputation is in the garbage. I wouldn’t recommend anyone use this service.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

We paid our bill via our bank's online bill pay option. It takes our bank a few days to post the payment (generally 2-3), but we always pay the bill on the day we receive it from the payee. Yesterday, as we were getting ready for work (still dark outside) our power went out. I had my daughter check the front yard and see if everyone else's power was off too, but she said it looked to be just us. I asked my husband, JOKINGLY, if he paid the bill, never thinking that was the issue. Come to find out after reporting the outage, Reliant cut power for non-payment despite payment being made.

After calling "customer service" I learned that it takes them 7-10 business days to process bill payments that are not made through their website. When the money comes out of our bank account, it takes Reliant another 10-14 days to accept our payment! Guess what happens, it shows that our payment is therefore "late" and they tack on late fees to the next bill... Something we had never even noticed before. "Customer service" suggested that I make payments through their website from now on because it is automatic. I told them that piece of information would have been nice to know BEFORE WE HAD TO PAY OUR FIRST BILL so that each bill for the last two months wouldn't have shown as "late." It also would have been nice to receive some kind of email or notice that our payments were late so that we could have remedied the matter BEFORE our power was shut off.

The agent told me, "well we can't tell people that because we don't know how long their banks take to process bill payments." Um... well, THAT IS EXACTLY MY POINT. Tell the customers how long it takes YOU to process their payments after their bank sends them to you! Most people who pay via BillPay already know how long their bank takes to process those, but they don't know that when Reliant gets that payment it will be 2 weeks before it is credited to their account, so their account will show as past-due and they will be assessed fees. I have informed my Energy Ogre to steer clear from Reliant in the future. I'll also make sure to inform my friends and family to avoid them. This is unacceptable.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I contacted Reliant Nov 14 2017 about a business service. They send me an email with an offer of 8.2 cents per kW and then I was contacted on my phone and read the contract and I agree not realizing they made the 8.2 11.6 cents. When I realize 6 months later and called to complain I was told that the oral contract was lawful and not the writing one. Be aware what the send you via email and when they read your contract on the phone, better yet request a writing contract.

Original review: May 12, 2018

They are bunch of liars, When I was moving out we contacted them to have our service cancelled and we asked not once but twice if had to pay anything before we cancelled and the agent told us NO 2 times. He told us NO, and I recently found out that I owed them money. Not only that but they never notified me about the charges and sent it to collections and destroyed my credit, they claim they did notify me but I never received any E-mails or letters from them. The only reason I even knew was because I saw it on my credit report.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Since 2 years I had service with Reliant, every time my bill was so high. We don't even use that much AC or heater. Finally when we close the account due to moving they charged me additional 200 dollars for something about averaging the billing. UNBELIEVABLE, THEY ARE STEALING THE MONEY.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Since 2011, have used their app to pay on or before the due date with my bank acct. After selling our house and needing to establish service in an area not serviced by Reliant, I attempted to get a Letter of Credit. They said I had 2 late payments. Although I had paid ON TIME with their app, it was marked late twice (1 day and 2 days) because it did not go through my bank account until after I had paid. I never received a notice or warning the payments were late. Nothing on their website or app states to pay earlier than due date to account for this. Customer service was terrible. Called 3 times and received 3 different answers. One even told me this would be corrected and a new letter sent. Never happened. Avoid like the plague.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I am dead serious about this review: I am literally begging you guys not to join this energy company. Let me tell you how I got myself in this **. First I got some spam email saying $6.2c/kw. It got my attention because my energy that time was $7.8c/kw, so I clicked it and check the review and I saw lot of people saying dont join, bad customer service, too much hidden fees etc. But yet I thought it is $6.2c/kw. It must not be that much since I have just 1 tiny bedroom apartment.

And after joining my bills start becoming sky rocket high and mostly my uses cost $30-$40 but added hidden fees $60-$80, making total bill of over $100 every months.

I am adding my bill of this month check it out you will understand what I mean. Seriously, everyone stay off from this spam energy. All this 5 star without any good msg seems fake with my real experiences. When talk to customer service about if they can do anything, they (threatening) straightly say it will go to collection, wtf. I have seen lot of customer service, they rather offer 5-10% discount so that customer will be happy and stay with company. But this employee are like they dont care, I can feel they hate their job and working for their company.

Original review: March 3, 2018

We had Reliant and we were selling our house. They turned our electricity off two weeks before they were supposed to and it took a whole day and four calls to get them to turn it back on! We had to open a new account!!! It was awful and the customer service is terrible. I would not recommend them to anyone!

Original review: March 2, 2018

Reliant is carrier for Centerpoint Energy in Houston. Always positive experience with any outages or issues. Worked 24/7 after Hurrican Harvey to restore power to parts of the city and were very professional.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

The worst energy company. I live in Texas for 6 years and I live in Katy for 2 years. This is the most expensive electric company I have ever use. Before Reliant Energy, my average was 75 monthly. After I choose the Reliant, it became 90. It increases every month. I am very disappointed with this company. I will never ever choose this company again.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

As with everyone else here who's had any experience with Reliant Energy or their so called companies you soon realize that you too have been scammed. My husband, without my knowledge spoke to a representative of Reliant Energy at (of all places) the New York State Fair and he talked him into signing up to receive their supplying our gas service to our home. Had my husband told me he was doing this or thinking of doing this I would have absolutely checked reviews FIRST! Something I always do first and he never does unfortunately.

Anyway, we had a man come today to check out our insulation in our attic and wanted to see our bills. This is when I learned my husband had switched to Reliant Energy. I immediately noticed our service fee was more than double what the normal should be. After this man left and our discussing the situation my husband called Reliant Energy. Well, the number was bogus. The address was bogus. I told him to call our local utility company and get rid of Reliant. We will deal with them later. I will not pay any cancellation fees or contract fees IF he signed anything. A contract cannot be legal if the company doesn't exist and apparently, this one does not. They will not get one more penny from us. I'm sure this is the beginning of a journey all of you have gone through. I'll keep you all informed!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Reliant Energy in Harris County is the worst. Every time it rains a little or gets a little cold, the power goes out for many hours. I would give them a 0 star rating if I could. Reliant if you're reading this, do something to improve the system that you sell to customers, I don't think they care. This is the worst system I've ever seen.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Bills increased 40% over same period last year! Complete rip off and the worst thing of all goin' to cost me $295 to tell them to stick it. I was supposed to get $600 back as part of the deal never seen any of it. Do not use Reliant!!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I just signed up with Reliant and highly suggest if you are thinking about switching to them you think twice. When signing up I asked for the cheapest rate and was given 12.9 / kWh. Being naive and not doing the research I trusted what they told me. I was also told if I wasn't happy with that plan I could change to any other plan. Well I got my first bill that was like two days worth for $13 no biggie. Then my first full bill came in at $249 I didn't think much of it just that it seemed pretty high.

In talking to a friend she pulled out her bill where she was paying 9.2 /kWh so I called them (2 days after I received my bill 4 days into the new billing cycle). I told them about what my friend was paying through Stream at 9.2 and wanted to see what they had to offer. They said only 2 different plans. Free nights and weekends which really isn't free because they adjust the daily to 14. something / kWh and bill you on and average of 12.5. Still no real savings. Some other consumption plan that they said would not be beneficial to me since I used 1985 kWh. Option cancel for $275 cancellation fee. I opted to go with option 2 only because it saves me .004 per kWh. Oh but wait that plan will not go into effect until the next month because I am already 4 days in. Oh and I forgot to mention that I was informed that you can only change your plan for the first 90 days.

So technically by the time the plan goes into effect and I get my bill for that month my 90 days will have been used. Pissed I did a bunch of research on other companies and found energy rates way way way cheaper than Reliant but thought I will look at Reliant's website and see what plans they had once again before I spend the $275 to cancel them. Wow there were much cheaper rates on their website for a bunch of different plans. I mean like 8-9 /kWh so once again I called them and tried to switch plans because I am still in the 90 days and they are plans on their website. I was quickly informed that none of those plans were avail to me because I am an existing customer. Only the plans that they had previously given me the day before were avail to me. Remember I am only like 34-36 days in as a new customer.

This company is a scam. I would not recommend them to ANYONE. My $249 electric bill would be $70-80 dollars cheaper pretty much anywhere else or if they would honor their own plans. I should have been given those rates from the get go if they were for new customers when I called the first time. I am telling you STAY AWAY.

Resolution response: Sept. 26, 2017

After writing and emailing Reliant Security Monitoring about my discontent with their security service, I received a phone call from their Retail Operations Supervisor of their Commercial and Residential Security. He was very concerned about my situation and offered me a couple of options to resolve my problem. Since I wanted to cancel my agreement with Reliant, he agreed to cancel it with no cancellation fees. I am very happy and satisfied with how this was finally resolved and owe it all to the kindness and concern of this Supervisor. For that reason, I am updating my star-rating for Reliant. - Sandra **

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

When I signed up with Reliant Energy for electricity service on a house I just purchased, I was given the “opportunity” to sign up with them for a Security System. I signed an agreement with them for a 36-month security system on July 29, 2017. On Friday, September 8, I left my home to attend a weekend meeting at the DoubleTree Hotel in Dallas, Texas. On the evening of Saturday, September 9, at 7:04 PM, I received a call on my cellphone’s voicemail saying that the security alarm at my residence had gone off and that the police had been notified. Since I was otherwise involved at the meeting, I did not hear the message until an hour later.

Wanting information about the alarm system going off, I began trying to reach Reliant Security by phone. Although there was no callback number left for me to call, I began calling the number that was on my cellphone’s call log **. I was unsuccessful in getting anyone on the phone, because the call went through various menu options, none of which would connect me to the Security Department. After trying Reliant Security’s phone numbers listed on the web, I was transferred several times to people who had no record of who I was, had no record of my account, no address for me, etc. These are the numbers that I called: **. No one at any of those numbers could find any information about me at Reliant. One of the numbers connected me to Smith Monitoring Service and that person was extremely rude and said they had never heard of Reliant Security and provided no help at all.

After being put on lengthy holds at each of these numbers and being transferred to various people, I was upset and worried about what was happening at my residence. At that point, my daughters and I left the hotel and went home to see what we could find out on our own. It was not until we got there that we saw a False Alarm Notification posted on my front door that had been left there by the local police. We again tried to reach Reliant Security but were still not able to get any information about this incident from anyone or reach anyone in the Security Department.

On Monday, September 11, at 9:04 AM, I began calling Reliant Security again because I wanted to cancel this monitoring service. I called the “dedicated” representative that signed me up for this service and left two different voice messages, and never received a return call. Then at 10:43 AM that same day, I called ** and, only after bypassing their menu options by pressing “0”, was I finally able to get someone on the line. I asked to be connected to their Security Department, and was transferred to a person by the name of Chase. Chase then transferred me to Shawn in a different department.

I told Shawn that I wanted to cancel the service, because I was extremely dissatisfied and how their service had failed me. I explained to him what I had gone through on September 9 and that I could not get anyone who could tell me what had happened about my Security Alarm or knew anything about my account with them. He proceeded to say they would “fix” the situation. I told him over and over that I did not want the service and that I was extremely dissatisfied with it.

When he finally understood that I was determined to cancel it, he told me that I would have to pay for the remaining 36 months of service, if I cancelled. I told him I was not going to pay for something that had failed me. I told him that one of the numbers on Saturday had connected me with a Smith monitoring company and that they were very rude and had said they had never heard of “Reliant Security.” That’s when Shawn told me that Reliant had quit using Smith. If that is true, why was I directed to a company they no longer use?

I am a 79-year-old female; I live alone, and I no longer trust Reliant Security to protect me after going through this stressful situation. Since I was not able to get anyone at that company who could respond to any of the questions about my security alarm and was connected to a monitoring company they no longer use, I would say that this is a situation that gives me every right to cancel their incompetent service with no further charges to me.

Although Reliant Security is not registered with the Better Business Bureau, after further research I discovered that the BBB has received several complaints about Reliant Security and that their rating was classified as “F.” Not only is this company incompetent, it is a rip-off. I signed up to receive peace-of-mind security, gave them money, and when I needed them to tell me what was happening when my security alarm went off, it was like I never existed. All I want to do is cancel the agreement without paying for any remaining months on the agreement.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

The shadiest, most awful company to ever purchase energy from!! I wanted to change my plan, as I signed up for the first month free promo they were doing that included a 90 day trial that allowed you to change plans without fees within those days. My 2br apartment bill was $250 the first month, so halfway through the second month I did some shopping and was going to switch. But I called Reliant first to see if any of their plans would even come close to other providers since I was still in that 90 day window.

First they said I couldn't switch without paying a $150 fee, I told them check their records again because that wasn't what I signed up for. The rep came back and said, "Oh okay, I see where they may have noted that at sign up", and found a plan that was still $50 dollars more than others. So I told him I'd shop some more and call back to cancel if that was best for Me. He then said, "Oh wait, well let me check one more thing", and came back with a rate that was only like $10 a month higher, so I said, “Okay I'll do that and not go through the hassle to cancel my account." He said, "Well you said you were going to cancel, as so this rate is only for returning customers." I said, "So you want me to pay you $150 to cancel my account, just so I can then purchase energy from you again???" He said, "Well that rate is only for returning customers..." I told him that was ridiculous and goodbye.

About 3 weeks later, I finally decided to just cancel and go with Champion Energy which was $100/month cheaper!! So Reliant billed me for the first month, and for the other 2.5 weeks I used them. I called and told them I signed up for the first month free plan??? Their response was that I was no longer an active account holder so they can't honor that. I said, "Well I was too an account holder after the first month, for 3 weeks after the first month, and no one told me when I signed up, nor when I called to cancel 4 days ago that I would lose the first month free." Then I spoke to another rep who said, "Well actually, when you signed up over two months ago, the rep you spoke to told you your second bill would be free, it's in the disclaimer she read you." Mind you, she had a thick accent so by the end of the 30 min. call to set up, I didn't catch that small "2nd bill" phrase when she spit out the disclosure to me in rapid speed.

So I asked him, "Why would it be the second bill free when it's called the first month free plan, which is also stated on my billing statement, isn't that false advertisement?" He said, "Well some customers start at different times so it's not always a full pay period of 30 days, so we do the second bill." My response, "Oh well great, because my first bill was for a 32 DAY PERIOD, so why wouldn't my first bill be free?" I was practically in tears of frustration at this point and he just kept repeating, “I'm sorry, but there's nothing we can do." In the end: I paid $250 for my first month, $160 for 19 days, and a $150 cancellation. Totaling $560 dollars for a month and a half service. This company is disgusting and robs people of their money.

Original review: July 11, 2017

This is the first time that I rent an apartment and not knowing that I will having a problem with my electric bill with this company. I lived in 540 sq ft apartment with my dog, I tried my best to save electricity as much as possible which means turn on my AC on daytime only, my refrigerator only accumulate 70 kWh per month, and very seldom use my electric range. Also, I replace all my bulb to led with average consumption of 7 kWh. I work almost everyday and go home at night time. I was surprise that electric bill increase from 320 kWh to 600 kWh and continuing to increase in my next billing cycle! Why? I highly not to recommend this company and make sure do your search before you sign up to any service. Check other competition first and people reviews matters.

Reliant Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Reliant is a child company of the larger Fortune 500 company NRG. They provide businesses of all sizes as well as residential customers with electricity throughout the state of Texas.

• Rewards: Reliant offers rewards for customers who use their company, including airline miles, bill credits and more.

• Extra services: Reliant offers clients a move center to help them set up their utilities in a new place when relocating.

• Discount plans: Reliant offers discount plans for people who want better deals on their electricity bill, including promotions such as free nights and weekends.

• Customer service: Reliant employs many employees, and their customer service can be inconsistent depending on who you talk to.

• Cost: Reliant may charge more for electricity delivery than other companies in the state.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs