Texas

2.4/5 (372 ratings)

About Reliant Energy

Reliant Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliant Energy?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

This company is pure robbery! Apart from the cancellation fees I understand. However, I've had Reliant for 2 and half months and canceled going into my third month. Beware of this company because my bills put together are a total of $1,000.00! Like who uses that much energy in a 1bd 585 sq ft apartment!? I suggest finding other companies because you will have to sell your soul just to pay your bills. RUN AWAY FAR AWAY BECAUSE IT IS NOT WORTH IT! I am totally dissatisfied and just shocked at how expensive this company is. It's like throwing your money away. So expensive and then the audacity to even charge a cancellation fee is a slap in the face. I regret signing up with this company. Learn from my mistakes.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

In August 2022, I had solar panels installed. The meter was switched to be able to read the solar power I am creating and using. However, Reliant charged me almost $800, because somehow the new meter said I used 1600 kwh in one day. It took months for this to be resolved. I called several times to explain the issue and not once did someone say the 100% Solar plan I was on, was not for people with solar panels. Finally, someone switched me to the Solar Department and got me on the Buyback plan. No rollover plan. So you can't keep what you make. Furthermore, Reliant states they cannot back credit me for all the power I had been generating and possibly using because I wasn't on the correct plan. Needless to say, I am switching.

Get buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

My bill had been due on the 8th for as long as I can remember. Today the 6th I went to pay my bill and they tell me it’s LATE and I will be paying a Late fee of 5% on $400!! I am never late, what a Joke!! They are crooked and once our contract is up we will be finding something else!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2022

Reliant Energy has the worst customer service. Today I tried to pay my bill with a representative. Well, the payment was trying to go through the representative told me that they are having issues with their system and it was taking too long for the payment to post so he needed me to call back later. Before we disconnected the call I checked my bank account and it appeared that Reliant Energy had taken five payments out of my account at once causing me to go negative of almost $600 in my account, they took almost $1,000 out.

After this, I was told by the representative that unfortunately there was nothing that they could do and that I would need to call my bank to see what could be done. That first of all was ridiculous to even say. I call my bank and was told that they could handle the situation immediately all they needed was a letter from Reliant stating that four of the five payments were erroneous. I spent from 9:30 am to 2:30 pm trying to get Reliant Energy just to send my bank the leather and they kept telling me that is not in their practice to do, even though it was completely their fault.

I was told that unfortunately that the situation could not be properly handled until January 18th which makes no sense to me. I told them that my rent payment and other bills that were to be automatically paid starting tomorrow or to be coming out and I was going to incur non-sufficient funds fees from my bank and late payments from my other bill collectors. They said unfortunately they would not be able to help me with any fees incurred and even though it is their fault. I spoke to so many Reliant representatives that I lost count. I literally cannot believe that I'm sitting here dealing with this right now. What type of business practice is this?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2022

For the past 6 months Reliant has stated they are making the updates to our account and how we are billed only for us to turn around and see that they have not changed anything. Don't trust them, or what they say. Always ask for proof in the form of a physical document. Take screen shots. They have no tact.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

I totally agree what Luis of Forney said about the Solar Buy Back Plan. Before I sign the contract I asked the Sales representative according the cap what does it mean. He confirmed that Reliant will decide a cap but it will be not lower than I got for the 12 month plan. I was not really sure so I called again and the other representative confirmed the same as the first person said. So at the end I signed the contract in hope that I can earn some credit during the winter time and use it in summer. Now I am facing the same issue with the cap. Which means I have to pay every month the base charge and delivery fee but Reliant will not reimburse me the electricity which exceeds.

This company and their representative are cheating. I spoke the last couple days with the agent over phone and also over the chat. They just said the contract was signed and they cannot do anything or waive me the early termination fee of $295. I told them to check the recorded voice message but they were not able to find it. At the end the lady said Reliant apologizes for the misinformation and they have to train their staff better. But they will not waive the early termination fee. At the end they gave me just $25 credit because of this misinformation. I really don‘t care about this money. They can have it back. Because this fault was exactly a wrong information of Reliant and if they didn‘t do a mistake, why they will offer me this amount?

I would like to raise my voice to let every one know who has Solar Panels not to use the Reliant Buy Back Plan for 24 month. Because this is cheating. You will not get any money for your overproduction but you have to pay every month the base charge and transmission fee. I tried already many channels to get a dialog with Reliant but as they don‘t want to help and stick on the contract even they cheat me I am going to make my case public.

Again I am also willing to add updates or write a good review when Reliant will have an open conversation with me to find a solution. Either waive the early termination fee or change back to the old plan that I don‘t need to pay every month additional fees. The government encourages us to go green but Reliant is taking advantage of small homeowners. They are using our roofs to get free electricity and in addition ripping existing customer off. We are the powerplant for this greedy company. Hope other people will not fall into this trap.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

This company is ripping customers off. I learned my lesson. It took 13 years before I realized I am paying too high electricity they provide. Much higher than the competitors. Never ever again with this company.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

Basically what everybody is saying here is true about reliant, they are stealing our Solar Panels' electricity. I just checked my Solar Panels electricity production for the month of July and it was 961Kwh, my usage was of 1091 Kwh. I verified my bill and was only credited 365Kwh, so I am paying the difference: $109. The first plan I have was much better, in that plan I even got credit for the next months. I renewed to a 2 year plan and it hasn't been good at all. Summer has been really hot in Texas and Solar panels are producing a lot of electricity, who can we contact about this? Are we defenseless against this company? We are paying more for electricity than before Solar. I am just waiting for my plan to finish (1 more year) to change to another electricity company.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2022

For a family of 4 in a 3 bedroom apartment, we are paying close to $350 a month. The salesmen came to the door and insisted this was the cheapest electric in the area. He said the price would be much cheaper than Ambit Energy but it has nearly doubled. This place is a scam company. AVOID RELIANT ENERGY.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

I have solar panels on my roof. My system produces 2.1 MWH of power and our consumption is closer to 900KWH meaning we use less than half of what the system produces during summer time. The previous contract with Reliant was awesome since I was credited for electric units produced and sent to the grid. This meant when my home produced more electricity than we consumed the overage went into the grid for such a time as we needed to draw from what was essentially a bank regardless of the cost of the units.

Once that contract was expired the new contract language "your electricity will be credited back to you up to your consumption" which meant any electricity produced more than consumed went into the grid and was gone forever, making my overproduction essentially stolen AND since it was a new contract I will be forced to pay the early termination fee of $295 and had lost the overage to this point which amounts to about $150/month for 3 months.

I was prepared to pay the delivery charge even though the previous contract overage actually paid the delivery charge as well. The language used both on the phone and in the new contract was very misleading and I mistakenly disregarded it thinking it wasn't a reasonable expectation for anyone to think I would just give away my overage. I will accept my error but maintain the contract language and phone language seems intentionally misleading to the degree I can only see it as theft by the utility. No small business could survive using such misleading tactics. Would rather be able to select a zero stars rating.

Reliant Energy author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Reliant is a child company of the larger Fortune 500 company NRG. They provide businesses of all sizes as well as residential customers with electricity throughout the state of Texas.

• Rewards: Reliant offers rewards for customers who use their company, including airline miles, bill credits and more.

• Extra services: Reliant offers clients a move center to help them set up their utilities in a new place when relocating.

• Discount plans: Reliant offers discount plans for people who want better deals on their electricity bill, including promotions such as free nights and weekends.

• Customer service: Reliant employs many employees, and their customer service can be inconsistent depending on who you talk to.

• Cost: Reliant may charge more for electricity delivery than other companies in the state.

Reliant Energy Company Information