Texas

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

Reliant Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliant Energy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliant Energy?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

HORRIBLE!!! VERY HIGH BILL!!! Since day 1.. They promised my bill would be lower than my previous electricity company.... LIES!!! DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!!! The bill just keeps increasing! DO NOT USE THESE PEOPLE!!! When you sell and move out of your home due to Covid and lack of income they hit you with a bill 3 times higher and force you to pay it with no options or help!! They have no regard as to what people are going through right now. The just want their money... POS company!!!

Original review: July 14, 2020

Worst electrical company I ve ever dealt with. I was so easy to talk me in with the bs "rates" which actually change based on how much you use. What a ripoff! As soon as I done with them I don't want o ever hear about them. No reminders about your bills, and as every professional person who has a busy lifestyle you forget sometimes to pay bills that are scheduled in the middle of the month. I haven't gotten a single mail from them nor email nor a text message to remind me I have a past due bill. I guess it is their little con to get it disconnected and the charge you $40 in disconnect/reconnect fees. "GOOD GOING"! Very ethical. I tried signing up for automatic payments but every time they tell me I have to talk to special department. I actually talked to them once and supposedly they saved my information but 2 months later - again - disconnection in middle of the day on a 100'F weather. I would definitely NOT recommend them!

Get buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2020

If there's any way I can give them negative points, I will give them. I used Reliant services for almost a year. I barely used electricity and my bill every month was $25-40. Even in mid summer of 100s temperature, I used to get $30-40 every month. Part of the reason was I was always traveling and I was never home to use the electricity.

In January, I was home for 4 days and they billed me $123. I called them and questioned and they said that they can re-read the meter. They failed to adjust that bill and I ended up paying. Meanwhile, they were sending me emails to renew my contract. The following month, I was in Guatemala on work and I received an email mentioning how last week my energy usage was high. I hadn't been home for 2 weeks. I lived in very high security building in Houston, I had motion cameras in my house. I knew nobody had entered my apartment so how could I be receiving high energy usage email? I came back after 3 weeks and called Reliant and mentioned that I can provide them my airline tickets, Passport stamps to prove I wasn't home and there had been a mistake. If they could re-read the meter and adjust my $190 bill (for February) that they sent me for using electricity.

Meanwhile, I had to move out for work purposes out of state and I called and disconnected the services and kept on trying to resolve this problem. They gave me a run around and instead of coming to a resolution, they sent my bill to collection without getting back with a resolution. I will be taking a case against them to customer court. I have reported them to BBB so this matter can be looked into so, there are many others who have been victimized by this company can seek justice.

Original review: May 22, 2020

No one has lived in the property since I bought it four months ago. My bill has been 10-20 dollars a month. No AC on and the only electricity being used was to paint and landscape. That stopped about a month ago. I got the bill today and it was 210. Basically customer service said someone was stealing electricity or the meter was not working properly. They said I would have to call Texas/New Mexico to dispute the charge. If I have to do everything to resolve the issue then why on earth do I need to pay Reliant. I wish we could just buy electricity from TNMP. Reliant is useless.... THANK the Lord I fired them!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I have been a Reliant customer for 5 years. I move two and then I noticed my energy bills increasing. I complained but reliant could do nothing. I turned off everything from the panel and signed up to smarter meter Texas. Well the meter kept going center point. Said that there was nothing wrong with the meter. My bill for 32 days just me. And I don't cook at home. I don't have washer and dryer at home. I don't use the dishwasher and I have a fireplace. I very seldom use the heater. My hot water heater is low on 120 degrees. My bill came out to $300 for 32 days. I cannot pay them. They are price gouging me. So I will let them disconnect my lights because if I pay them they will just send me another much higher bill so I am done with them.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

My son and self moved into our 2 bedroom 1 bathroom house (less than 800sq ft) at the beginning of 2019, and our landlord recommended as Reliant as "one of the cheapest energy providers". I naively and blindly called Reliant to set up service. I spoke to a rude and uninformed woman (and the manager who called me a week later about my complaint about this representative was also rude and unprofessional) who sounded like she was taking my call in the middle of a daycare. After trying to make me pay a 500$ NON REFUNDABLE deposit, she was able to "come up" with a 75$ non refundable deposit option with their "Free Nights" scam - I mean plan. She told me it would be 17 cents per kWh (because at the time my credit was on the lower side), and quickly made me sign their e-documents before I had a chance to really read their terms of service. So I finalized the paperwork, and established service to our new home.

Firstly, a deposit because of lower credit should always be refundable if on time payments are made by the customer, which mine were always paid early. Secondly, I was quoted and told 17c/kWh, but it was actually 25 cents per kWh under the guise that my nights were free. Thirdly, low credit should never mean a higher kWh price, and that is straight up taking advantage of a single mom who had fallen on temporarily hard times.

After I received our first month's bill of 200$ for our teeny tiny home, I was a little worried, but not terribly so...until I steadily watched our electric bill climb from 200, to 300, to over 400$ a month for our little home! We are energy efficient, but not according to Reliant's lying app. We have all brand new energy efficient windows, appliances, and LED light bulbs for every light fixture. We did laundry at night during our "free hours", and we kept the HVAC at 80 degrees in the summer and 60 degrees during the winter. We even had our water heater and HVAC serviced twice to see if we had any problems to create such high bills. We had the insulation and home checked for any areas that could be causing a draft. Everything was in working order.

Since they had locked me into a 12 month contract with an early termination fee, we froze and sweat in the dark all year, just waiting for our sweet release from these con artists. Finally the day has come where we have been freed from their overpriced clutches, and now have a green energy provider who has cut our electricity bill to a third of what Reliant was charging us! And guess what? ZERO deposit. Stay far, far away from these deceptive, rude con artists. There a dozen other providers that are reliable, friendly and a third of the cost. I wish I had done my research sooner rather than later (and that is my own fault), but I am hoping by sharing my experience I can at least prevent some innocents from being taken advantage of by this mega corporation. I will never use Reliant again, and I will continue to warn every person I know and meet of their deceptive practices and ungodly pricing.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

Like many of you here I was scammed by Reliant as well. It may not be the same thing as someone calling you trying to extort money from you do to some "crime" you unknowingly supposedly committed, but none-the-less a true corporate scam. Up until December of 2019 I had been a Reliant customer for 10+ years. Back in the day $.09/Kwh was a good deal and understanding that over the years a slight increase was to be expected we were relatively happy with what we were paying.

Well, in December of 2017 I decided to switch over to the Average billing plan under the "now known misconception" that the plan would simply help level out my electricity charges between the higher and lower months. The way they sell it is that you have a more consistent monthly charge as the electricity use fluctuates. That couldn't be farther from the truth. Not only where the charges not consistent, they were becoming scary and we'd become anxious thinking about how high the next bill was going to be. I should have never made the switch.

The only thing that was consistent about the "Average" excuse me, I mean "Deferred" billing, was the much higher monthly bill! Also like most of you I called and asked questions when I was surprised the increased charges only to have them explain some elaborate explanation obviously created by some former banker with a knack for screwing people over. Look, I'm a Sr. Software Engineer, if I can't understand it, then how the hell is someone who's not mathematically inclined going to understand it? And that's what they are "banking" on, pun intended.

Ok so now that I'm done with my little rant, here are some numbers. I'll give a comparison between 2018 & 2019, in 2018 I was not on Deferred Billing, in 2019 I was. I'll also add that between the two years we did not have any major changes in the way we consumed electricity and did not change or replace any major appliances or air conditioning/heating. Now the numbers....

Total Electricity Charges for the Year

2018: $328.43
      2019: $537.66
      Diff: $209.23

Incr: 63.70%

The numbers speak for themselves. There is absolutely no reason that by joining a program to average out my monthly payments that my monthly payments would increase by 63.70%. I want to thank you if you've read this review and hopefully you read it before getting screwed over. If it helps one person avoid this corporate scam then writing it was more than just venting.

-AB

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I have been a customer of Reliant for many years, apparently not a valued one. I had signed up for the Average Billing to help budget monthly expenses. When I had had enough of paying $0.19/Kw, I decided to switch to another company. I received my final Reliant bill and it was over $850! I called and they said that I had a deferred balance and it was due since I cancelled my service. Where did the 'deferred' even come from!?! They explained that "true" average billing was called "Balanced Billing" and I was on "Average Billing" which accrues a deferred balance - What??? Needless to say, they would not work with me, I still owe the $850+ and am now looking for another provider.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

I cancelled my Reliant account after my 1-year contract because I moved and found a cheaper, better option. When I received my final bill in the mail I promptly paid it. A few weeks later I received a red letter from them saying I owe them $50 even though the account was already paid in full. When I called to inquire what the bill was for I was passed around and put on hold for over 45 minutes. The phone call was over an hour and they refused to remove the fees and even got combative over the phone indicating they were not at fault and I had to pay. Unprofessional, unreliable, and rude company. Will never use them again.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

Left Reliant for 1 year due to their unfair rates with existing customers. Had the same problem with TXU, so I returned to Reliant in 12 months. Reliant refused to utilize previous account history to calculate average billing, despite stating on the website they use 11 months previous history plus current month's bill divided by 12. Their Customer Service staff and supervisors are either incapable or unwilling to perform basic math, and are unwilling, are incapable of articulating how the average billing is determined. They further refused to allow me to switch providers without penalty despite their failure to honor their own published policy.

Reliant Energy author review by ConsumerAffairs

Reliant is a child company of the larger Fortune 500 company NRG. They provide businesses of all sizes as well as residential customers with electricity throughout the state of Texas.

• Rewards: Reliant offers rewards for customers who use their company, including airline miles, bill credits and more.

• Extra services: Reliant offers clients a move center to help them set up their utilities in a new place when relocating.

• Discount plans: Reliant offers discount plans for people who want better deals on their electricity bill, including promotions such as free nights and weekends.

• Customer service: Reliant employs many employees, and their customer service can be inconsistent depending on who you talk to.

• Cost: Reliant may charge more for electricity delivery than other companies in the state.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team