1.21/5
Based on 136 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a Texas electricity company?

Texas

189 Reliant Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I have mailed in auto pay documents, done it on the phone with them, and done it online. It has never worked and they shut off my power every month. I get on the phone and they apologize and tell me they don't know what happened. I get home after being gone a couple days and my powers off and my fridge is warm. I have had to replace my food in my fridge every month this year. There is no other company I can use. They won't pay for my groceries. They are terrible.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Worse provider ever. Each month I pay exactly what the statement says pay. After 1 year I noticed everything dollar I applied to my bill on the app was going to electricity and none to security. When I called in a rep tells me not to worry about it. When my average billing payment lowers in the winter months to just keep paying what I normally pay on average billing and it’ll balance out. Wake up this morning and my security is disabled. I call in again and they say whoever told me this lied to me. Well hell. If you billed me right from the beginning this would of never happened. Now they expect me to pay a lump sum of almost $700 before I can separate the alarm and electricity into two different bills, which by the way is what I requested from the jump. Do not get on balance billing. It’s a complete rip-off and don’t go with their security.

It’s only a sure fire way to get you caught up and in all kinds of debt with them to ensure they keep you on as a customer. Once the contracts are up RELIANT you will be replaced! All my life I stayed with this company because I was told they’re the best but now they’re the worse. Customer service lady I talked to was rude, very disrespectful, and wanted nothing more than just to collect money vs trying to help me solve the mixup that got me to this point in the first place. They are smooth fast talking salesman that promise you the best of everything and deliver nothing. At the end of the call nothing was resolved, they still didn’t assume responsibility for their mistakes even though the call I made and details of the conversation was in the notes. This company is only out for money. They could care less anymore about good customer service. Their reputation is in the garbage. I wouldn’t recommend anyone use this service.

Get expert buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

We paid our bill via our bank's online bill pay option. It takes our bank a few days to post the payment (generally 2-3), but we always pay the bill on the day we receive it from the payee. Yesterday, as we were getting ready for work (still dark outside) our power went out. I had my daughter check the front yard and see if everyone else's power was off too, but she said it looked to be just us. I asked my husband, JOKINGLY, if he paid the bill, never thinking that was the issue. Come to find out after reporting the outage, Reliant cut power for non-payment despite payment being made.

After calling "customer service" I learned that it takes them 7-10 business days to process bill payments that are not made through their website. When the money comes out of our bank account, it takes Reliant another 10-14 days to accept our payment! Guess what happens, it shows that our payment is therefore "late" and they tack on late fees to the next bill... Something we had never even noticed before. "Customer service" suggested that I make payments through their website from now on because it is automatic. I told them that piece of information would have been nice to know BEFORE WE HAD TO PAY OUR FIRST BILL so that each bill for the last two months wouldn't have shown as "late." It also would have been nice to receive some kind of email or notice that our payments were late so that we could have remedied the matter BEFORE our power was shut off.

The agent told me, "well we can't tell people that because we don't know how long their banks take to process bill payments." Um... well, THAT IS EXACTLY MY POINT. Tell the customers how long it takes YOU to process their payments after their bank sends them to you! Most people who pay via BillPay already know how long their bank takes to process those, but they don't know that when Reliant gets that payment it will be 2 weeks before it is credited to their account, so their account will show as past-due and they will be assessed fees. I have informed my Energy Ogre to steer clear from Reliant in the future. I'll also make sure to inform my friends and family to avoid them. This is unacceptable.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I contacted Reliant Nov 14 2017 about a business service. They send me an email with an offer of 8.2 cents per kW and then I was contacted on my phone and read the contract and I agree not realizing they made the 8.2 11.6 cents. When I realize 6 months later and called to complain I was told that the oral contract was lawful and not the writing one. Be aware what the send you via email and when they read your contract on the phone, better yet request a writing contract.

Original review: May 12, 2018

They are bunch of liars, When I was moving out we contacted them to have our service cancelled and we asked not once but twice if had to pay anything before we cancelled and the agent told us NO 2 times. He told us NO, and I recently found out that I owed them money. Not only that but they never notified me about the charges and sent it to collections and destroyed my credit, they claim they did notify me but I never received any E-mails or letters from them. The only reason I even knew was because I saw it on my credit report.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliant Energy?

Original review: May 12, 2018

Since 2 years I had service with Reliant, every time my bill was so high. We don't even use that much AC or heater. Finally when we close the account due to moving they charged me additional 200 dollars for something about averaging the billing. UNBELIEVABLE, THEY ARE STEALING THE MONEY.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Since 2011, have used their app to pay on or before the due date with my bank acct. After selling our house and needing to establish service in an area not serviced by Reliant, I attempted to get a Letter of Credit. They said I had 2 late payments. Although I had paid ON TIME with their app, it was marked late twice (1 day and 2 days) because it did not go through my bank account until after I had paid. I never received a notice or warning the payments were late. Nothing on their website or app states to pay earlier than due date to account for this. Customer service was terrible. Called 3 times and received 3 different answers. One even told me this would be corrected and a new letter sent. Never happened. Avoid like the plague.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I am dead serious about this review: I am literally begging you guys not to join this energy company. Let me tell you how I got myself in this **. First I got some spam email saying $6.2c/kw. It got my attention because my energy that time was $7.8c/kw, so I clicked it and check the review and I saw lot of people saying dont join, bad customer service, too much hidden fees etc. But yet I thought it is $6.2c/kw. It must not be that much since I have just 1 tiny bedroom apartment.

And after joining my bills start becoming sky rocket high and mostly my uses cost $30-$40 but added hidden fees $60-$80, making total bill of over $100 every months.

I am adding my bill of this month check it out you will understand what I mean. Seriously, everyone stay off from this spam energy. All this 5 star without any good msg seems fake with my real experiences. When talk to customer service about if they can do anything, they (threatening) straightly say it will go to collection, wtf. I have seen lot of customer service, they rather offer 5-10% discount so that customer will be happy and stay with company. But this employee are like they dont care, I can feel they hate their job and working for their company.

Original review: March 3, 2018

We had Reliant and we were selling our house. They turned our electricity off two weeks before they were supposed to and it took a whole day and four calls to get them to turn it back on! We had to open a new account!!! It was awful and the customer service is terrible. I would not recommend them to anyone!

Original review: March 2, 2018

Reliant is carrier for Centerpoint Energy in Houston. Always positive experience with any outages or issues. Worked 24/7 after Hurrican Harvey to restore power to parts of the city and were very professional.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

The worst energy company. I live in Texas for 6 years and I live in Katy for 2 years. This is the most expensive electric company I have ever use. Before Reliant Energy, my average was 75 monthly. After I choose the Reliant, it became 90. It increases every month. I am very disappointed with this company. I will never ever choose this company again.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

As with everyone else here who's had any experience with Reliant Energy or their so called companies you soon realize that you too have been scammed. My husband, without my knowledge spoke to a representative of Reliant Energy at (of all places) the New York State Fair and he talked him into signing up to receive their supplying our gas service to our home. Had my husband told me he was doing this or thinking of doing this I would have absolutely checked reviews FIRST! Something I always do first and he never does unfortunately.

Anyway, we had a man come today to check out our insulation in our attic and wanted to see our bills. This is when I learned my husband had switched to Reliant Energy. I immediately noticed our service fee was more than double what the normal should be. After this man left and our discussing the situation my husband called Reliant Energy. Well, the number was bogus. The address was bogus. I told him to call our local utility company and get rid of Reliant. We will deal with them later. I will not pay any cancellation fees or contract fees IF he signed anything. A contract cannot be legal if the company doesn't exist and apparently, this one does not. They will not get one more penny from us. I'm sure this is the beginning of a journey all of you have gone through. I'll keep you all informed!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Reliant Energy in Harris County is the worst. Every time it rains a little or gets a little cold, the power goes out for many hours. I would give them a 0 star rating if I could. Reliant if you're reading this, do something to improve the system that you sell to customers, I don't think they care. This is the worst system I've ever seen.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Bills increased 40% over same period last year! Complete rip off and the worst thing of all goin' to cost me $295 to tell them to stick it. I was supposed to get $600 back as part of the deal never seen any of it. Do not use Reliant!!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I just signed up with Reliant and highly suggest if you are thinking about switching to them you think twice. When signing up I asked for the cheapest rate and was given 12.9 / kWh. Being naive and not doing the research I trusted what they told me. I was also told if I wasn't happy with that plan I could change to any other plan. Well I got my first bill that was like two days worth for $13 no biggie. Then my first full bill came in at $249 I didn't think much of it just that it seemed pretty high.

In talking to a friend she pulled out her bill where she was paying 9.2 /kWh so I called them (2 days after I received my bill 4 days into the new billing cycle). I told them about what my friend was paying through Stream at 9.2 and wanted to see what they had to offer. They said only 2 different plans. Free nights and weekends which really isn't free because they adjust the daily to 14. something / kWh and bill you on and average of 12.5. Still no real savings. Some other consumption plan that they said would not be beneficial to me since I used 1985 kWh. Option cancel for $275 cancellation fee. I opted to go with option 2 only because it saves me .004 per kWh. Oh but wait that plan will not go into effect until the next month because I am already 4 days in. Oh and I forgot to mention that I was informed that you can only change your plan for the first 90 days.

So technically by the time the plan goes into effect and I get my bill for that month my 90 days will have been used. Pissed I did a bunch of research on other companies and found energy rates way way way cheaper than Reliant but thought I will look at Reliant's website and see what plans they had once again before I spend the $275 to cancel them. Wow there were much cheaper rates on their website for a bunch of different plans. I mean like 8-9 /kWh so once again I called them and tried to switch plans because I am still in the 90 days and they are plans on their website. I was quickly informed that none of those plans were avail to me because I am an existing customer. Only the plans that they had previously given me the day before were avail to me. Remember I am only like 34-36 days in as a new customer.

This company is a scam. I would not recommend them to ANYONE. My $249 electric bill would be $70-80 dollars cheaper pretty much anywhere else or if they would honor their own plans. I should have been given those rates from the get go if they were for new customers when I called the first time. I am telling you STAY AWAY.

Resolution response: Sept. 26, 2017

After writing and emailing Reliant Security Monitoring about my discontent with their security service, I received a phone call from their Retail Operations Supervisor of their Commercial and Residential Security. He was very concerned about my situation and offered me a couple of options to resolve my problem. Since I wanted to cancel my agreement with Reliant, he agreed to cancel it with no cancellation fees. I am very happy and satisfied with how this was finally resolved and owe it all to the kindness and concern of this Supervisor. For that reason, I am updating my star-rating for Reliant. - Sandra **

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

When I signed up with Reliant Energy for electricity service on a house I just purchased, I was given the “opportunity” to sign up with them for a Security System. I signed an agreement with them for a 36-month security system on July 29, 2017. On Friday, September 8, I left my home to attend a weekend meeting at the DoubleTree Hotel in Dallas, Texas. On the evening of Saturday, September 9, at 7:04 PM, I received a call on my cellphone’s voicemail saying that the security alarm at my residence had gone off and that the police had been notified. Since I was otherwise involved at the meeting, I did not hear the message until an hour later.

Wanting information about the alarm system going off, I began trying to reach Reliant Security by phone. Although there was no callback number left for me to call, I began calling the number that was on my cellphone’s call log **. I was unsuccessful in getting anyone on the phone, because the call went through various menu options, none of which would connect me to the Security Department. After trying Reliant Security’s phone numbers listed on the web, I was transferred several times to people who had no record of who I was, had no record of my account, no address for me, etc. These are the numbers that I called: **. No one at any of those numbers could find any information about me at Reliant. One of the numbers connected me to Smith Monitoring Service and that person was extremely rude and said they had never heard of Reliant Security and provided no help at all.

After being put on lengthy holds at each of these numbers and being transferred to various people, I was upset and worried about what was happening at my residence. At that point, my daughters and I left the hotel and went home to see what we could find out on our own. It was not until we got there that we saw a False Alarm Notification posted on my front door that had been left there by the local police. We again tried to reach Reliant Security but were still not able to get any information about this incident from anyone or reach anyone in the Security Department.

On Monday, September 11, at 9:04 AM, I began calling Reliant Security again because I wanted to cancel this monitoring service. I called the “dedicated” representative that signed me up for this service and left two different voice messages, and never received a return call. Then at 10:43 AM that same day, I called ** and, only after bypassing their menu options by pressing “0”, was I finally able to get someone on the line. I asked to be connected to their Security Department, and was transferred to a person by the name of Chase. Chase then transferred me to Shawn in a different department.

I told Shawn that I wanted to cancel the service, because I was extremely dissatisfied and how their service had failed me. I explained to him what I had gone through on September 9 and that I could not get anyone who could tell me what had happened about my Security Alarm or knew anything about my account with them. He proceeded to say they would “fix” the situation. I told him over and over that I did not want the service and that I was extremely dissatisfied with it.

When he finally understood that I was determined to cancel it, he told me that I would have to pay for the remaining 36 months of service, if I cancelled. I told him I was not going to pay for something that had failed me. I told him that one of the numbers on Saturday had connected me with a Smith monitoring company and that they were very rude and had said they had never heard of “Reliant Security.” That’s when Shawn told me that Reliant had quit using Smith. If that is true, why was I directed to a company they no longer use?

I am a 79-year-old female; I live alone, and I no longer trust Reliant Security to protect me after going through this stressful situation. Since I was not able to get anyone at that company who could respond to any of the questions about my security alarm and was connected to a monitoring company they no longer use, I would say that this is a situation that gives me every right to cancel their incompetent service with no further charges to me.

Although Reliant Security is not registered with the Better Business Bureau, after further research I discovered that the BBB has received several complaints about Reliant Security and that their rating was classified as “F.” Not only is this company incompetent, it is a rip-off. I signed up to receive peace-of-mind security, gave them money, and when I needed them to tell me what was happening when my security alarm went off, it was like I never existed. All I want to do is cancel the agreement without paying for any remaining months on the agreement.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

The shadiest, most awful company to ever purchase energy from!! I wanted to change my plan, as I signed up for the first month free promo they were doing that included a 90 day trial that allowed you to change plans without fees within those days. My 2br apartment bill was $250 the first month, so halfway through the second month I did some shopping and was going to switch. But I called Reliant first to see if any of their plans would even come close to other providers since I was still in that 90 day window.

First they said I couldn't switch without paying a $150 fee, I told them check their records again because that wasn't what I signed up for. The rep came back and said, "Oh okay, I see where they may have noted that at sign up", and found a plan that was still $50 dollars more than others. So I told him I'd shop some more and call back to cancel if that was best for Me. He then said, "Oh wait, well let me check one more thing", and came back with a rate that was only like $10 a month higher, so I said, “Okay I'll do that and not go through the hassle to cancel my account." He said, "Well you said you were going to cancel, as so this rate is only for returning customers." I said, "So you want me to pay you $150 to cancel my account, just so I can then purchase energy from you again???" He said, "Well that rate is only for returning customers..." I told him that was ridiculous and goodbye.

About 3 weeks later, I finally decided to just cancel and go with Champion Energy which was $100/month cheaper!! So Reliant billed me for the first month, and for the other 2.5 weeks I used them. I called and told them I signed up for the first month free plan??? Their response was that I was no longer an active account holder so they can't honor that. I said, "Well I was too an account holder after the first month, for 3 weeks after the first month, and no one told me when I signed up, nor when I called to cancel 4 days ago that I would lose the first month free." Then I spoke to another rep who said, "Well actually, when you signed up over two months ago, the rep you spoke to told you your second bill would be free, it's in the disclaimer she read you." Mind you, she had a thick accent so by the end of the 30 min. call to set up, I didn't catch that small "2nd bill" phrase when she spit out the disclosure to me in rapid speed.

So I asked him, "Why would it be the second bill free when it's called the first month free plan, which is also stated on my billing statement, isn't that false advertisement?" He said, "Well some customers start at different times so it's not always a full pay period of 30 days, so we do the second bill." My response, "Oh well great, because my first bill was for a 32 DAY PERIOD, so why wouldn't my first bill be free?" I was practically in tears of frustration at this point and he just kept repeating, “I'm sorry, but there's nothing we can do." In the end: I paid $250 for my first month, $160 for 19 days, and a $150 cancellation. Totaling $560 dollars for a month and a half service. This company is disgusting and robs people of their money.

Original review: July 11, 2017

This is the first time that I rent an apartment and not knowing that I will having a problem with my electric bill with this company. I lived in 540 sq ft apartment with my dog, I tried my best to save electricity as much as possible which means turn on my AC on daytime only, my refrigerator only accumulate 70 kWh per month, and very seldom use my electric range. Also, I replace all my bulb to led with average consumption of 7 kWh. I work almost everyday and go home at night time. I was surprise that electric bill increase from 320 kWh to 600 kWh and continuing to increase in my next billing cycle! Why? I highly not to recommend this company and make sure do your search before you sign up to any service. Check other competition first and people reviews matters.

Original review: June 10, 2017

The worst energy company I have ever known. It is unclear to understand their Invoices. It changed from $38.00 to $100 for the same consumption for 1 br 625 sf apartment with the only 2 adults who even does not watch TV because we are working hard. I don't recommend Reliant until you want to be overcharged.

Original review: March 10, 2017

I have been a loyal customer of Reliant Energy for about 10 years now and it just so happens I was up for renewal; we have been receiving requests to renew the plan for months now but because of other reasons did not want to renew and were planning on shopping around. Well, we completely forgot to pay the February bill (on time) and we received a disconnection notice for 02/20, I paid the full amount due on 02/22 (when I realized there was a disconnection notice). I received a confirmation notice in my email and when I logged in online to my account it showed that I paid the full amount of $180.53.

Well yesterday after my children's practice we got home a little after 8 pm to find my lights were disconnected. I go online and see that the payment was received so I call Reliant and the said they didn't receive my payment. I saw it in my account so I am not sure why they were saying that so I go back online to see the status of the payment, and it was "CANCELLED." Cancelled? By Who? I asked to know what account the last payment was made out of and how much and they couldn't clearly tell me, all their rep kept saying is for me to send proof of the payment coming out of my bank account.

I am the only person who has access to my bank account, and if it was cancelled by my bank believe me that I would see a returned check fee. I checked my emails and there was no revised bill or notice of returned payment, so again, why was my light disconnected?! I have all my confirmations for the payment but for some reason someone on Reliant's end cancelled the payment that I made, thus causing my lights to be disconnected and get charged several fees. Reliant's rep stated that they would request a review and they would send reimburse me for the "disconnection fees."

I took screenshots of everything to prove confirmations and that I never cancelled the payment, it was even showing on my bank account until recently, and there was more than enough for the payment to process. Reliant continues to blame me for the cancellation! On top of the disconnection, cancellation of my payment and added fees, while the rep for Reliant was requesting the review she says to me "since you have been a loyal reliant customer I am going to go ahead and renew your 14 month contract for you to make sure you are locked into our cheapest rates..."

HOLD ON! What did you just say!? This woman was seriously going to attempt to RENEW a 14 month contract although they were burdening with such!? I made it very clear that she is not to renew our contract and we were going to be leaving Reliant for continuing with their fees and bogus cancellations of my payments so that I get disconnections and fees charged to my account. This only happens when we are set to renew and we have not called in to do so. They make sure that you call them for something, and of course, what else causes a call other than your lights being disconnected for NO REASON!!! What an inconvenience. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH RELIANT ENERGY!!!

Original review: March 4, 2017

I was stupid enough to listen to a door-to-door salesman offering me the great deal with Reliant Energy. Weekend electricity completely gratis and reasonable week rates. Sounded great? Within two months billing cycle I saw that the week rates more than made up for the "free" week rates and I was paying an unreasonable high AVERAGE rate. When I tried to cancel I was told I had to pay $300 early cancellation fee. My account was a yearly contract and therefore had to pay that cancellation fee. I cancelled the service after a year and was still presented with the $300 early cancellation fee. Phoned them and they agreed that there was an error and would credit me back. Two days later received a phone call that I actually had signed up for a 3-year contract and that I still had to pay the $300 cancellation fee. Stay away from this company, they are crooks and scammers.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

Please take it from me! Do not sign up for electricity with Reliant. I was with Reliant for 19 years! Yes, 19 years!!! I was stupid enough to stay with them for that long, and I don't even have one good reason why! I recently moved and had previously noticed that my monthly bill was increasing. I decided to go with Ambit. When I called to cancel with Reliant, they couldn't even find my account with the account number I had used for 19 years to pay them each month. Finally, she found it using my maiden name which I haven't used in over 12 years!?? When I told her why I was leaving, she didn't even bother to thank me for my years of loyal business. All she was concerned with was getting my new address to send the final bill! Well, I got my final bill and it was $236. I paid $100 at that time and planned to pay the rest after I got caught up from moving!

Tonight I checked my mail and there was a bill from them threatening to send me to collections if I didn't pay the balance immediately! It's not even about the money! It's how they treat you! You are just a number to this company! They shouldn't be allowed to do business with people! This is what 19 years with them did for me! Please don't make the same mistake I did! Go with a company who cares whether you stay with them or not! Reliant Energy sucks!!!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

When I moved into my new apartment last July, I was told that Reliant is the only power company that I can use at the complex. Alright. I call them up, and boy, can they swindle a person. First, the woman convinces me to get surge protection, which I don't need at all. I try to say no. She won't let up. The way she phrased things, though, made me worry that without it, something horrible could happen. Alright. Tack that onto the bill. Then she tries to convince me to put a $3.95 donation on each billing cycle. I say no. She LITERALLY won't let me continue setting up my service until I agree to it. By that, I mean she just kept repeating the information in different ways and desperately trying to convince me to agree to it. Finally, I allowed myself to be coerced because I just wanted to get my power set up.

They charge outrageous amounts for power. My parents pay about $120/month for an entire house in upstate NY in the middle of winter. September in Texas, and my bill was almost $200. Why? They won't help me figure out how to cut back on power usage or break down my bill for me so I can see what the distribution is. Whatever.

The final straw was when I finally called and said, "Take these extra charges off my bill." They say they will. Next month comes. Nope. Still there. Call again. Same thing. Finally, my bills are so outrageously high that I can't pay, so I try to work something out with them. They graciously allow me to pay half now and distribute the other half across the next few bills. I agree. The next power bill is OUTRAGEOUS, and the extra charges are still there. Tack on the extra bit from our agreement, and the bill is over $270. I can't pay. They threaten to disconnect me if I don't pay that entire bill plus the rest of what I owe from the prior month. (That's right. They reneged on their own deal.)

Did I mention they charged me $10 for a disconnection notice? I frantically called my grandparents to help me. I make my grandmother a designated person on the account that can inquire about things and even help pay. They charged her the entire bill, which was about $400. Then they said the next cycle would start in December, so we wouldn't have to pay until after that. They tell her they can't remove the extra charges for surge protection and donation unless I say so. Fair enough. It's my account primarily and all that.

So I call. Again. The woman informs me that my next bill is due in a week (It's the beginning of December at this point.), and she starts to ask me why I want the charges off. I went bananas. I've never been so rude to someone over the phone in my life, but my grandmother has lung cancer and is 80-years-old. They literally LIED to a dying, old woman. She is not senile, and she is no stranger to dealing with bills and the like. When she says the representative told her something, they definitely told her that specific thing. So I'm trying to tell this woman that I need to hang up before I get even angrier, and she keeps trying to get me to stay on the phone. Are you crazy, lady?

So I hang up. I pay. Charges are STILL THERE. I call. Again. The guy on the phone FINALLY removes the charges and puts in a ticket for me to get a credit on my bill for the BS I went through. He says that the reason they didn't take it off was that, even though I had clearly stated I didn't want those charges on my next bill, the phone call had been "cut off" before they could finish. Not sure why they didn't just do what I had asked them to do (multiple times) regardless of whether or not I was on the phone. I had made my wishes very clear. They chose to ignore that. I still have heard hide nor hair of my "credit" for the charges. I also got another disconnection notice, five days after I had paid them and even gotten a confirmation email (and a text!) saying that they'd received my payment. They are charging me $10 for that notice.

If I had my choice in power companies, Reliant would be last. As is, I am looking for another apartment for when my lease runs out. The location is great, the rent is perfect, and management is very kind and understanding. So why am I moving? As long as Reliant is my only option, this apartment complex is not an option.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Average billing for Texas with Reliant Energy is a joke. It is more expensive with it than your regular plan. I had signed up for it for 1 month, cancelled after first bill as it was 100 dollars more than my regular bill. Next month comes along and the new bill is around $200 dollars. With my plan it would of been only $135 for the month but they added $62.22 to my bill for the balance due from billing plan. I barely had the average billing for a month. Canceled it ASAP, and they did not even tell me I would have to pay for cancelling it. I cannot afford a $200 electric bill in an apartment. DO NOT DO AVERAGE BILLING. As Soon as I find the money to pay the damn bill I am cancelling my electric with Reliant and going elsewhere. TOO EXPENSIVE FOR AN APARTMENT!!

Called and they said there was nothing they could do to remove it, so I will not pay it and I refuse to pay it. I've always paid on time, they could of gotten my regular bill at $135 and now they will get nothing and I do not care if it goes onto my credit because they won't get that damn money from me. So sick of companies like this.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

At the beginning of this month, in the evening, I bumped into a fast talking representative at Albertsons' grocery store. She asked me how much I paid per kWh. I didn't know off the top of my head, but I was able to tell her how much my last bill was. She responded as if I was out of my mind & said with Reliant she could get me a better rate & I'd be paying at least $50 less a month. I was shocked & interested. She had me fill something out on her tablet & said the next day she'd call me & go over bills etc. I got home found out how wrong she was & I had ZERO desire to switch.

I called the next morning (LESS THAN 12hrs later) & cancelled. They gave me the runaround & I spent 3.5 hrs on the phone with them, my company, & Oncor confirming there would be no switching. I also signed a new 2 yr agreement with my company. Reliant assured me after multiple conversations the switch was cancelled & there would be no fees etc. I just got an email from Reliant explaining my 1st bill. I called to explain that I should NOT have an account. The operator said, "I'm sorry but your cancellation was rejected, and the department that handles that is closed right now so you will have to call back later." How can they "reject" my cancellation, AND not notify me?

It's deceptive, sneaky, underhanded, wasted a LOT of my time & it may cost me additional fees with my real electric company due to being in a contract. I wish I had never gone to the grocery store & bumped into the little shyster con artist. They'll chalk it all up to a "miscommunication", I'm sure, but this could only be a series of deliberate communication errors when you weigh my diligence in attempting to clarify that I would not be switching to Reliant. I even had to give them reasons why I wasn't switching & sit through more of their attempts selling me their services. Charlatans.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

Reliant Energy is the worst service company ever!! We moved to Dallas over two years ago; my son moves to Dallas two months later, we both fall into the trap of Affordable Energy. They were on it to get our business, but when the bill triple then quadruple, we could not get help or anyone on the phone not even if their existence depends on it. When we got people on the phone, they were not aware of previous conversations or deals. No one was available to help. When you pay over $300 per month on a 1,600 Sq. Ft. apartment, me traveling 60% each month, only my wife and I, there is a problem. Of course, I asked them to cancel my services, release my account. Big mistake, that is when our problems begin.

It took a month and $800 to cancel. Regarding my son, he still battling them, but he is up to $1,000 now. Their trick, they said that you are released, disconnected, they don't follow up on that then the bill next month comes in even higher. You need to call every day for like three weeks if you want to be released from that nightmare. IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING RELIANT ENERGY, DON'T.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

I called to talk with them about my bill because I needed an extra day to pay my bill because my husband had been laid off for several months and just returned to work and his pay dates changed. They told me that there was nothing they could do to help because my account didn't qualify for an extension. I told them I just needed an extra day but basically told me that they couldn't help. Worse company I have ever dealt with. In fact, they told me I should try to find a charity that could pay my bill for me. I told them that was ridiculous for one day and that there are people that really need the help. One day... they say customers come first but that is not really true. That's BS.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2016

I was contacted by Reliant Energy rep and told if I switched to Reliant that they would use the same rate and not charged for energy on the weekends. My energy bill has consistency been higher than before and after 9 months I had to pay $295 cancellation fee. I can only surmise that this is some kind of scam.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

I just moved into my apartment in May of this year (2016). May, June, July my bill was 35 dollars. I couldn't believe it myself but I was elated. I'm a young, adorable college student, no kids, just trying to make a living out in this cruel world. Well I called to make July's 35 dollar payment over the phone at work, outside on a quick break. Of course here comes Reliant with their damn specials trying to get someone to sign up for some **. I HATE CONTRACTS. I KEEP MY NAME TO MYSELF. So the guy kept trying to tell me about their 12-month contract plan and how I was month to month and I could save. I'm like "no I'm excellent with month to month paying 35 bucks." He kept trying. He's like "you could be paying 27 dollars rather than 35." I'm like "ok that sounds good." That's all I said. I then said "I tell you what can you send me so info on it and I'll look into it." He's like ok and that was it.

My next two bills for Aug and September is 100 bucks a piece. Are you serious??? I haven't touched my thermostat at all. Ever since I talked to him my bill went up not down I called and the guy said I'm on a 12 month plan. I'm like wait what??? HOLD UP! I didn't sign or agree to anything. Mind you I'm cry, eyes red. This is so unfair. He took what I said and put me into a contract. I literally felt life exit my body. These people are scammers and something must be done. Since they claim they record every damn thing. Play the recording back where I agreed to this **. I'm now on a contract and nothing I can do about it beside buy out of it and I never recalled getting into it. If I wanted contract I would've did that to begin. The guy told me verbatim that he placed me under a higher rate than what I was paying. I said I know because there's no way in hell I'm paying 35 and out the clear blue sky jump to 100 bucks.

This makes me so sick to my stomach. I haven't slept well at all. I just have to pay it and it's not right. He see what happened to me and all he can say is he sorry. Yeah me too. & people wonder why folks flip and purge because the judicial system is **. We have rights and I guarantee you I'm not letting this go. WHY IN THE HELL WOULD I SIGN UP FOR A 12 MONTH CONTRACT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY DAMN LEASE. I moved in May. It was going into August. Who wants to pay more than 35 dollars a month? ** UP!!! RELIANT HAS LOST ALL RESPECT FROM ME AND I HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN WITH THEM LONG. PEOPLE DON'T GO HERE. IT'S A SETUP.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I called this month to find out how much my bill was and they said for this month it was 821.00. That is absolutely ridiculous. I have never in my life paid a light bill this high. There should be something we could do about them charging whatever they want. People like me don't have that kind of money for lights. There should be a law as to how much max they can charge you for one month. They are ridiculous and will not work with you. As soon as I can I will be changing light companies but what are people to do. You PAY IT OR YOU DON'T HAVE LIGHTS!!! That's ridiculous!!!

Reliant Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Reliant is a child company of the larger Fortune 500 company NRG. They provide businesses of all sizes as well as residential customers with electricity throughout the state of Texas.

• Rewards: Reliant offers rewards for customers who use their company, including airline miles, bill credits and more.

• Extra services: Reliant offers clients a move center to help them set up their utilities in a new place when relocating.

• Discount plans: Reliant offers discount plans for people who want better deals on their electricity bill, including promotions such as free nights and weekends.

• Customer service: Reliant employs many employees, and their customer service can be inconsistent depending on who you talk to.

• Cost: Reliant may charge more for electricity delivery than other companies in the state.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs