TXU  Energy

Texas

2.4/5 (386 ratings)

About TXU Energy

TXU Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TXU Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TXU Energy?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

The worst energy company ever. Lived in Texas for last 47 years and this company is everything but truthful about what they charge, or what they promised to charge when the bill arrives. Had to to complain so many times and wasted so much of my time to get the bill straighten up, but no luck. Need to look another for another provider like reliant energy which make their own electricity, and not a distribution center like TXU who buy the electricity from providers and seek it to consumers. Beware of them.

Original review: July 31, 2020

Please do not use TXU Energy. This is by far the worst power company I have ever been with. Now granted I do owe a bill and it is high. But I have entered into more than one agreement (payment plan) that had been sat up by the president of the company only to have a disconnect notice sent to my email 1 week after agreeing to the payment plan....I was not behind on the payment plan, in fact I had just sat it up July 23 2020. On July 31 2020 I had a disconnect in my email...confused and angry I called TXU and explained that that the payment plan was just sat up and the customer service agent stated that I had broke it by not making a payment (Payment was not due until the 23 of august 2020). When I told him I had not broke it, he laughed and said, "Let me see what I can do to keep the power on for you."

He was rude and tried his best to control the conversation which does not sit well with me, so I hung up and called back to get a new agent, which was a female, but just as bad... She tried to tell me that I had not made my agreed payment last week (The same day I sat up the payment plan) which I did pay that same day. Then she said.. "Oh!! I see you did pay it..but now we need a bigger payment." I lost my temper and told her to get the company president on the phone (Connie). When Connie at the president's office answered she pretended that she never spoke to me just last week, even though I told her word for word what had been said and how I had ended up setting the agreed upon payment up through ROBERT who also is in the president's office... there was nothing wrote up outside that I had made the payment, no agreement was made,.. so today July 31 2020 I made a new (Same as the last agreement) agreement..

Then asked what if I send in weekly payments since I get paid every week? CONNIE at the president's office said NOT to do that as that would end my agreement and my power would be turned off for breaking the contract!!!! So just save the money and pay them once a month.... but do not be late or the power will be turned off. By paying once a week it would not pay on my bill..it would just give me a credit and not pay anything to the bill??? This company is a scam, they need to have lawsuits against them and be forced to close their doors.

Original review: July 8, 2020

I suspected being overcharged. We travel a couple times a year for at least 1 week at a time. One time I set the thermostat for 90...so not to burn the house in heat, but not waste cooling costs. Came back - thermostat had "reprogrammed" itself to 62 across the board and higher bill. I replaced thermostat and set it for 77. Wake up during night - and its reset to 60's or low 70's. Last time traveled for 10 days - I shut off breakers and unplugged in rooms that required breaker to stay on (kitchen for fridge, patio lights, etc). No bill reduction, BUT...days later - TXU showed up saying they see a problem (from their office) on my meter, it was recording lower than normal usage and they assumed I was tampering with it.

Told the guy what's been happening - he suggests someone stealing my electric maybe, but he "reset" the meter outside. NO significant bill difference. I am now traveling again. Been gone 8 days now. Looked at usage...according to TXU - I have already used 8% more electric in these first few days of July than I did in June. HOW? No one is home. I did not shut the breaker this time, but everything is unplugged and the Thermostat is set to be completely OFF (to avoid the remote adjustments to settings by whomever.) I am now out of town again.

In looking - I'm also seeing a pattern of almost double usage on a particular day each week. Since everyone is off on weekends - I can't really argue that definitively. But with the other 2 residents working 12 hr shifts Monday-Fri (Overnight), how is it I have this high usage like on weekends when everyone is home (mostly sleeping, but they are home)? How is it that there this high usage overnight when only 1 person is home - and that person keeps A/C high as she is cold natured.

I will continue to monitor and will eventually prove definitively TXU is overcharging. We cannot keep having same or higher usage after we've traveled for 7-14 days in a month. That's just plain impossible unless the washer, dryer, TVs, radios, etc...all plug in and start running themselves. I believe TXU is guesstimating my bill based on average customers...but with 2 cold-natured people - we don't burn the air like everyone else. Never have. I also find it odd that suddenly thermostats keep resetting themselves.

And to top it off - the room with most electronics is suddenly having flickers and having to switch the breaker. Even the Surge protectors and backup power units show bad electricity/faults coming into the residence. The TXU rep that came to the home said there's basically nothing I can do, unless I "catch" someone obviously stealing electricity... It's on me, as they see and manage everything remotely and nothing is "wrong enough" for them to investigate anything.

Original review: May 18, 2020

TXU Energy allowed someone else to open a fraudulent account under my name and SSN. I didn't give anyone authorization to do so. I have reported this to TXU and the police. I have mailed TXU the police report, and because they don't want to take a loss they are still trying to say this debt is valid. Employees for TXU have been very rude and hanging up on me while talking. I would never use this company. They are very unprofessional. I have requested in writing to TXU to validate this debt, but they have failed to do so. A employee for TXU even said on a recorded call "I hate dealing with you people".

Original review: March 28, 2020

The experince with TXU has been terrible. Their managers do not answer and do not listen to customers. I was charged a bill of $152 for electricity (1 month) consumption in my apartment when this was vacant and all the switch and breakers were off. I asked them to do meter reading or to check on their side but they did not do it despite me calling several times. Very disappointed!

Original review: March 23, 2020

Just wanted to let everyone know that TXU Energy was not willing to lend a helping hand in time of crisis... I was asking if they could help me with my bill by giving me a longer extension time and they said no....

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I closed my account on November to make sure that it does not renew in January. These ** are still taking money from my account even though I got the cancellation notice. They also do a bait and switch on you when you have your services.

TXU Energy response

Rose - Let's review your account details together to see what has happened. Please email your account/contact info to TXUECares@txu.com. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I switched over the weekend to a new company. On Monday, I received a threatening and condescending call from a TXU rep trying to convince me to stay to no avail. He never, for one moment apologized or tried to make things right. Instead he said I was being suckered into switching and that I was going to regret switching. He also made it very clear I was under contract and that I would be heavily penalized if I switched. I was being treated like I was not a customer, but like they were doing ME a favor for ME paying high electricity rates. After a while he rudely hung up on me after 10 min back and forth.

Before he hung up I asked the rep if he was willing to make up for me paying too much in the past, he literally said "are you serious?" Now, I don't know if the new company will be any better, but regardless, very unprofessional way to treat a (former) customer. Also, the 'other company' has 5 star review rating on Google with over 3,000 reviews. TXU on the other hand... I was paying 14 cents per KWh. I read a few comments stating TXU will charge a higher rate on the final bill. We'll see. I will update my review when I get my final bill.

TXU Energy response

We're sad about your decision to switch, and that the follow up call was not the best experience we could give. We'd like the opportunity to look into what happened. Please consider emailing your account and contact info to TXUECares@txu.com and we'll reach out to you.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

TXU keeps raising my bill monthly. I switched plans thinking it would lower my bill as stated. I am currently being charged almost $600 a month even though no one is even home during the day. I called to speak customer service to see why and all I got was a rude, non American Middle Easterner. I am currently checking other providers to get clear and free from money hungry TXU.

TXU Energy response

Your experience with TXU Energy and your feedback means a lot. Let's take a close look at your account together to see what is going on. Please email your account and contact into to TXUECares@txu.com and we'll give you a call.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I moved here from Florida a regulated State for electricity. I didn't know there were options in my area. We received a $184.00 bill for less than a 1000 kilowatts. We realized they were charging over 18.5 cents per kilowatt. We found another provider @ 11.9 cents per kilowatt. Savings of $63.00 on just one bill. We switched and TXU billed us 23.9cents on our final bill. TXU is by far the highest provider of electricity period. Never again.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

We purchased a home and set up service with a different company. The previous homeowners transferred their service with TXU to their new address. So, TXU transferred my account from the service provider I selected. After receiving and paying my first bill, I was notified that I had cancelled my account. I did not. TXU put my property on the previous owner's bill and cancelled my service. They refused to fix their error and said I needed to reapply with my company of choice and pay the previous owners personally until the account was transferred back to my provider of choice. They told the previous owners this would be "easiest". TXU refused to correct their error. I contacted Public Utility Commission of Texas. They advised me that the problem needs to be corrected by TXU.

The commission filed a complaint on my behalf. The previous homeowners are also filing a complaint, as TXU advised them they are financially responsible... for TXU's error. What a mess! The representatives at TXU were the rudest people I have ever dealt with. Steer clear of this company. They are careless and non responsive to correcting problems. TXU rep straight up admitted it was their mistake, but would do nothing to correct the situation. Don't get tied up with this company!!! They are rude and lazy liars that shirk all responsibility for their errors.

TXU Energy response

Jeri - Your experience is important to us. Please email your contact info to TXUECares@txu.com so we can further assist you.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

Your pocketbook will live to regret it. Use the comparepower.com site to find a utility provider that works best for you. And it is NOT TXU. They may tell you that your bill will be around "X", but it will turn out to be "Y & Z". I had service with TXU for 26 days and my two bills (2) totaled $250.54. I live alone and don't waste energy. When I called TXU they were so rude and condescending. There are better options, affordable options. I am using JustEnergy and my bill averages $145/month.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I accidentally overpaid my light bill by over $1000. After calling TXU, And being assured I would have a refund within 10 days, It’s now over 30 days later no one can tell me the truth. Everybody has given me a different story and I have no refund. I wouldn’t recommend this company to my dog. As soon as I get my refund I’m dropping them because they cannot be honest.

TXU Energy response

Your experience is important to us. Please email your account/contact info to TXUECares@txu.com and we will contact you right away.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

TXU has been my power provider since 2015. I am pleased with their exceptional customer service, bills, and quality of electric power. Yes, I have been disgruntled for a few times, but before I hang up the phone, their well-trained customer service reps will make sure my issues were addressed. I have tried Just energy and others, but I have never been satisfied with them like I am with TXU.

TXU Energy response

We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and value your continued business.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Highest bill I have ever received! And I have never received such a high bill. I switched thinking It would be cheaper with The "Free Pass Savings" but I was wrong. I received my first two bills within a week of each other. I noticed that the second one was the highest I have ever received. I also notice the TDU fees were more than I have ever received and I don't understand why. I got no answers as to why. Instead I was given the option to change plans at an even higher cost of course. I still have no way to pay for these outrageous bills. DO not use TXU. I believe they are padding these bills with higher readings and higher fees. I believe they set it up to charge late fees and cancellation fees.

Original review: July 17, 2019

This company absolutely does everything they possibly can to weasel more money out of you. They do what they are supposed to in the beginning, then start sneaking in price increases. Then they put you on a different plan after you complain about the high prices. That plan is supposed to put you around 170$ a month year round. The price is supposed to be consistent month in month out at 170. Only got under 250 twice in a year. Then they send you a bill saying you owe nothing because they have been overcharging you and you received a credit that covered this month's bill, just to get a double bill next month and a past due notice on the last month's bill that you supposedly didn't owe anything on.

After 10+ years of this type crap you get tired of it and look for the second service provider you have ever had in your life, they have the audacity to throw $198.72 miscellaneous charges on your last bill for the last two days of service before you fired them due to some kind of magical lawyer fine print on the contract they moved you to in order to “save” you money. They are crooked as a river. Seek service elsewhere.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I have been a TXU customer for years. I have used them for multiple residences. My fiance and I moved to our new house in April of 2019. I had asked them to keep the electricity on until a certain date so that we could go clean the apartment after we emptied it, which they did. After the electricity was cut off, the electricity to my new house was cut off shortly after.

I anxiously called customer service to see what was going on because I have small children and animals at home and the summers in Texas reach 110 outside. The service representative explained to me that they have notes that say I ordered them to turn off my house's electricity, not my apartment. I said that's incorrect and I need my service back on. He said that the company refuses to turn it back on unless I pay another deposit and that they will need to listen to all of my previous phone calls because the notes insinuate that I am lying. I asked him to then cancel my service because I am disgusted at the way he was speaking to me and he said that's fine he will.

So now... in July of 2019 I have received a bill over $400. I call and ask why am I still being billed for services? The girl on the phone states I still have an active account and there is high electricity usage at my old apartment. The right thing of course for a company to do, would of course be to review the notes, see that this is not electricity that I used because I requested cancellation on a recorded call. But of course that's not what will ever happen. I owe TXU Energy (a company that I highly recommended and used for my family for years) hundreds of dollars. This company has terrible customer service and the way they have treated my family is outrageous. I will never use them again. Anytime someone says they are considering TXU I tell them NO! They are absolutely the worst company I have ever done business with.

Original review: March 30, 2019

They cancel my plan a month before it end and charge me 150 cancellation fee. When I called they said, "Sign a new contract to remove the fee," which is before TXU my bills was between 60 to 140. With TXU minimum bill was 160. I’ll not recommend anybody to deal with this company. I’ll stay without light. Better than be TXU Energy customer.

Original review: March 12, 2019

My bill kept getting higher and higher even though I'm gone 8 hours a day so no one is home and everything is off. Looking at my bill I discovered I had gone up to .17 cents a kilowatt so it's time to change. I found another company and received my final bill and because it was so large I paid only half. That came out of my account March 1st, 2019. March 7th I received a letter saying they were sending me to a collection agency! I couldn't believe it! All these years with this company with payments made on time. I truly felt stabbed in the back! Well, they will surely get their money but it wasn't necessary to treat an old lady like that to get it. Shame on you TXU.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I was been with this company for more than 3 years. When I plan to move to another apartment everything collapse. I called and told the agent about my intention and request electronically transfer. When he checked he couldn't find the app in their system. Obviously he understood Am moving. Instead of shut down the power he kept it running. Now they are sending me a bill for the month of February. When I called and talk to everyone around the world, they came with an excuse that I should tell the agent clearly am canceling my contract. Shame on you TXU. It's not the money, it's the principle and the reputation.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I have not lived in Texas since 2008, and they are still sending me my dead sister's bills. I refused to use electricity at all, and eat raw foods for months. They wanted a huge deposit - without consideration for my illness: Lyme Disease. Then for a $75 deposit, I decided to enlist, and a ** Ring was discovered in my appts. Several people were deported or arrested, I reported this to TXU and the Utility Commission. They kept my deposit, and 10 years later they kept billing me and sent adverse credit info on me, and are stalking me from Texas! TXU made me hate Texas! It is so arrogant, backward, greedy, and ruthless... I wouldn't even send the Grim Reaper to do business with them. They are inhumane as all get out!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Please listen to these reviews!! I had used TXU Energy for almost 4 years when I had to move across the country for work. When my contract was over... THEY KEPT BILLING ME!! Apparently "me signing into my online account, gave them the authority to sign me up FOR A COMPLETELY NEW CONTRACT I NEVER SIGNED OR AGREED TO!" I kept getting the charges and because I was set up on an auto pay - I had to jump through many hoops just to get them to stop charging me.

When I put my foot down and asked for a refund, because I was not even living in Texas the last 3 months they have been trying to charge me - they claimed it was my fault... That they signed me up for a new contract without my consent and I did not cancel that new contract... Even though my original contract ended three months ago. Not a single employee, supervisor, manager or anyone from TXU Energy sees what the problem is with signing a customer up with a new contract without their consent or approval and nor do they care that I have been unfairly charged for three months.

They all use the exact same verbiage to explain to me that it is my fault and they don't care. They claim to have sent an "email" on October 4th that I never received... Then claimed they sent a letter to the address that I didn't even live at... To contact me and inform me of this new contract they signed me up for without consent. However don't you think a message on my online account, where all the other activity you send your customers, would have been helpful if you really did send those previous two messages? I am extremely disappointed in how they handled (did not handle) this issue and treat their customers. The reviews are true - they find the sneakiest ways get your money - it is absolutely disgusting. Next complaint will be the BBB.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I advise anybody is reading this webpage do not sign up with TXU because they are a scam. They have find a loophole how to increase your bill larger than what it is. And the bad part about it they ain't go to do nothing to straighten it out...but tell you a bunch of lies and give you the old runaround like if it is your fault. How do I know this? They did it to me. They installing a new meter without telling me anything. My bill was low around about $139.31 before the new meter was installed. Ever since they installed the new meter last month my bill for December of 2018 is $224.31. The company is crooked. Stay away from this electric company.

TXU Energy response

Rose - Your experience is important to us. Please email your account/contact info to TXUECares@txu.com, so we can further assist you.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I moved to Texas a year ago and signed up for TXU Energy last minute because the apartment recommended them. Choosing an energy provider was a new experience to me so I had little info on what a kilowatt hour was. I lived in a two bedroom house in Nebraska before moving to Texas and my monthly electric bill would be around $60 in the peak of winter (heater constantly running).

With TXU, I chose the Solar Day/Free Nights for the last year with them and my bill would average around $130 (1,200 kilowatt hours average), which TXU says is below average. HA! So when it came time to renew TXU gave me a warm fuzzy about how great I am, helped me find more suitable plan. Well, whammy! The first month of my new plan, which they said will lower my bill to under $100 with the same usage increased it by $40 ($168). I read that bill, found the usage was roughly the same (1,300 kilowatt hours) and I was in shock.

To be lied to from a company that has no competitive advantage and depends on ripping off its customers (or at least me) led me to cancel ASAP. I switched to Constellation Energy shortly after, as they offer $.07 Kilowatt/hr. Then TXU Energy dp's you once again with their atrocious $150 early termination penalty. Constellation's early termination is $50. So in summary, TXU is twice as expensive, lies to customers (at least me), they will increase your bill year over year, and once you wise up and escape - they still find ways to make you suffer. ** YOU TXU! Go to this website to compare prices: https://www.texaselectricityratings.com/electricity-rates.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I have had TXU for longer than I remember. Service has always been in my name alone. I pay my bill promptly. Absolutely NO problems from my side. I recently received a bill for over $100 that was from over a year ago. This bill was from an ex husbands account (married only 6 months) that I divorced over 8 years ago!!! I never had any shared credit cards or accounts with him, yet they tell me that he called in 2 years ago and added me on his account and they allowed it! No email, call or note letting me know that this fraud was being perpetuated, despite me having service in my name at another address. I have been told that I need to provide a copy of my divorce decree to have this removed!!! Absolute garbage! Having our legal names it took less than a minute to find a record of our divorce on the internet. This despite their claims they "investigated" before adding my name.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I have called TXU a few times about this problem and I get frustrated with their customer service. I recently noticed a significant difference between the SmartMeter Readings and the TXU billing for Usage. The difference is almost about 10-20% per month. For example for the month of August here is the difference: Power Used (SmartMeterTX) (KWH) 4,652, Power Used (KWH) (TXU) 5,299. TXU Billings are always higher.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

TXU is a scam... I live by myself in a one bedroom apartment, work double shifts 4 times a week and I got a bill of $168 in a month??? I called the customer service and the agent was saying something about billing adjustment. Nonsense... this company is a scam!!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Stay away from this company. Go with anyone else. Customer service the worse ever. The first year when you sign up was OK then TXU almost double your bill. Don't go on to auto pay. They will really nail you if you ever try to cancel. Take my advice. Just stay away. My bill went from 175 a month to almost 300 with no explanation.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I was always a "supposed" valued client but I just came back to them this month and nothing but lies and horrible customer service. You'd be lucky not to be hung up on or told "you're wrong"; in a foreign language accent, that they cannot even understand themselves!!!! Grrrr????

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

My experience was horrible. I called to ask for an extension on a bill because I am not currently working. I have had the service for a year now, and I have had bills well above $400 that were paid. But I ask for an extension with a $150 payment and I’m told maybe I should try and borrow the money. And this was from the supervisor. This company is a joke and I will be telling EVERYONE I know to never use their service. If half stars were available that’s what I would give them!

TXU Energy Company Information