3.19/5

Need a utility company?

Florida

194 SunPass Prepaid Toll Program Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 16, 2019

Made payment to SunPass Toll by plate, sent proof of removal from bank acct. Sunpass can't find the money. They keep saying they will send to servicing to locate. It's been over 3 months. Don't pay online.... They lose your money and find every excuse not to make it right.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I am a current SunPass holder (commute to Tampa on Veterans), yesterday I received a Toll Enforcement Invoice in the mail. When I tried to access my account using the account # on the Invoice I was unable to login. Then after changing my password and logging in realized the account # on the invoice isn't even mine. In the past I just paid these assuming there was a glitch with the system. This time however I did my research and found that the two tolls they were claiming were in fact withdrawn from the funds I had in my account already. After reading all the write-ups about how truly messed up SunPass is I don't know if the letter I'm writing is going to do any good.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2019

For months Epass and SunPass have been taking all of my money! I have been billed numerous times pay by plate when I pay 30-50 a week in tolls. I go through 2 tolls a day 2 times a day and they charge me 4 times. Sometimes even when I do not go through one like on my day off! I have contacted and emailed both companies and they tell me the same thing!! I want all of my money back. I don't understand how a company can do this. I am beyond upset.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Around 2016, I started to receive tolls that did not belong to me. I called SunPass, and the operator fixed the issue quickly for me; they even told me the name of the plate that I was being mistaken for. The past few years went by without me receiving an incorrect toll. In the past few months, however, I have begun to receive the tolls again. I have probably opened 5 disputes in the past 5 months, but the tolls keep coming. All they keep telling me is that they can file a dispute and send me an email with the result, but that's a lie because I have to keep calling to see what they've done!

The tolls are always charged on the opposite side of my state, and I do not even own the type of car that they said the license plate is on. They don't care to find the real owner of the plate and charge them. They keep sending me tolls with photos of a car and plate whose text is illegible. It's truly ridiculous that they cannot check to make sure that they're sending a toll to the correct person, and even more ridiculous that this has continued for 5 months without a solution.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I've been calling the customer service line for 3 days and they hang up on me. They are quick to charge my credit card, toll by plate but when it comes to my questions and concerns I get hung up on? What kind of mediocre business is this? You work for the county and state. Why are you hanging up on people?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPass Prepaid Toll Program?

Original review: April 26, 2019

This toll system in Florida is corrupt. I have been a SunPass customer for years and I have always automatically replenished the account, however I got Pay By Plate bills several times. I had to pay them before I could renew my registration. I don't know where my SunPass funds went. On top of that, SunPass keeps charging me money without passing through the tolls. I don’t know how they do that. It is outrageous and I wonder when the Florida Department of Transportation is going to listen to the people's complains and stop this rip off.

Original review: April 24, 2019

My family went on a trip to Miami and The Keys from Massachusetts for 7 days in February of 2019. I purchased the temporary Sunpass that sticks on the windshield of our rental car. The instructions on the pass instructs you to sign up online to activate it. I specifically input that the pass was only active from 2/20/2019 until 2/27/2019. I received a bill in the mail today saying it had a negative balance so I checked my account online. What a disaster! The pass is still active and been in use for months, racking up a huge bill.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I have received invoice for a tag I have never owned for 4 months. Keep disputing including motor vehicle records to prove I have never owned that tag. Cannot get a live person! Phone ALWAYS says, ”We are experiencing higher than usual call volumes”, even at 8 a.m. when they open.

Original review: April 14, 2019

My SunPass, the actual physical SunPass, isn't detected on my windshield. This means that I have to attach my plate to my account so that they can do toll by plate. I've done this, but it still doesn't work there. The app on the phone doesn't work, the website can't find my login information despite having three cars registered for five years. Just every part of this system was clearly designed by either the lowest bidder, or someone owed someone else a favor and got the contract. There's no way it has to be this bad, I can't even log in to give them their money.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Updated on 04/14/2019: After a few months trying to log in to change my PIN to a password, I finally succeeded today through a link included in an e-mail advising me that my account was a few dollars in the negative (I had no way of checking). It took me six tries just to update the expiration date of my credit card and to refill my account. I kept receiving messages advising me that my changes could not be updated so try another credit card.

The default refill amount showed as $30. I wanted $15 (Got to put food on the table for the family). I thought maybe the system was not accepting the lower amount so, after the fourth time, I tried $25. I got the same error message again. So I printed the only e-mail confirmation I got for the $15. Now a few hours later, I get 2 phone notifications about two amounts being withdrawn from my checking a/c; One for $15 and one for $25! I want a refund for the $25. Because I work two to three jobs, I do not have the time to be on the phone with SunPass, that is if anyone answers the phone. Hence this review. Thank you.

Original Review: I have been heeding SunPass's suggestion to log into my account because the system no longer uses a PIN to log in (too bad cause it was working well) and to create a User ID and password last year. I had to use the telephone system to add money into my account as opposed to the online convenience for lack of time as I work 2 to 3 jobs. Plus the form set up in the system does not accept the information I put in to create a User ID AND Password. Their form is conveniently created so you can't put your phone number; formatted as (000)000-0000 and can't contact them by e-mail. It's frustrating! But they do spend time, labor, paper and ink to send me a by toll bill for $0.78. What sense does that make. Please spend out hard-earned tax money more efficiently!

Original review: April 11, 2019

Been had my tag expire for 2 years. Every time I had called I never got help and everyone will be so rude to me. They wouldn't let me talk to a manager but on this day I got 2 wonderful ladies that helped me to the fullest GERLANDE AND QWIN. Super nice and sweet. Answered all my question without a problem. Thank you so much ladies. Yassandra

Original review: April 11, 2019

I have two active and up to date SunPass transponders that work and charge me correctly. I am also receiving pay by plate fees out of Miami (I've never been to Miami). These fees are automatically charged to my account and funds are automatically replenished to through my credit card. I have now been charged 21 times for someone in Miami that has a license plate similar to mine. I have contacted SunPass by phone through their automated phone system that tends to hang up on you or tell you will be on hold for an excess of 45 minutes. I was able to finally get a return number entered for them to call me back without being hung up on.

They did finally call me back! I told them the issue, the license plate in question is similar to mine but very difficult to read. The car is not mine, I have never owned a vehicle like the one in the pictures SunPass posts on their website. I was TOLD in no uncertain terms that it is my license plate and type of vehicle does not matter. They said they would review my issue but I have doubts they will ever refund my money and in the meantime this vehicle in question continues to have tolls charged to me. If I suspend my SunPass and decide to just pay cash like a tourist and give up the "convenience" of using SunPass I feel I would then be mailed bills with the toll fees and penalties attached. SunPass is broken!

Original review: April 9, 2019

I don't think I've ever felt so much rage that I would go through the hassle of writing a negative review. They have continuously been sending me invoices in the mail even though my transponder IS activated and working and for the last month I've been trying to get ANY kind of connection with ANYONE from SunPass. I feel like open heart surgery is easier than trying to reach a human being from SunPass. On top of having to first deal with that waste of time, brain dead robotic voice that can't seem to understand when I speak plain English at times it is a treacherous maze to figure out what path you have to take to be able to speak to an actual human being!

And then when you FINALLY get to that you have to hold, which is fine no big deal...BUT FOR THIS LONG!?!? My kids have already graduated college and have a house and a family of their own while I'm still on hold....and I don't even have kids! And to add acid to a 3rd degree burn it feels as if they are purposely trying to get you to ** off because instead of just having simple smooth jazz or classical music playing like a normal company would do that doesn't want to annoy their paying customers, they have EVERY 5 SECONDS that (at this point) ear piercing robot tell you that you can press 2 to be placed on the call list and they will call you back when possible. HAHAHAHA don't make me sarcastically laugh!

Like I heard you the first 30 times, you're not getting rid of me that easily! After what seems like a millennium on hold I was finally able to reach an actual living, breathing human (as far as I know) and luckily got my situation resolved. I do appreciate that my problem was able to be solved but what irritated me beyond belief is the amount of obstacles it took to get here.

If I'm taking my time to call because I need help with something then its probably important and would be nice if SunPasscould either:
    1) Get back to customers in a timely manner (not having to wait after sending in a request a month and a week ago and still not hear back in any way).
    2) Not make their automated menu an EXTREME hassle to navigate that would aggravate their customers before they even reach a human representative.

3) Hire more employees (or work on suggestions 1 or 2 to avoid this step) so that customers don't have to grow old waiting for a representative to answer the phone. I started this review ready to punch a whole in a cement wall, and I'm not easy to anger, and even if no SunPass representative sees this review or gives a crap about what I had to say I at least feel better that I got this parasite off of my chest.

Original review: April 6, 2019

We are trying to figure out what is going on. SunPass is billing me for a Mack truck with Florida tags - not my vehicle. I live in Virginia and haven't been to Florida in 10 years. The first dispute was ignored. I reached a representative about the 2nd invoice and was told that when it is reviewed, if the vehicle is not ours the charge would be removed. That sounds good, but how is this license tag being linked to me anyway????

Original review: March 28, 2019

SunPass Operations continuously fails to respond to my emails, calls, and tickets. I have an unresolved issue with an invoice and they do not help. Sunpass Operations continuously fails to respond to my emails, calls, and tickets. I keep receiving invoices from FDOT for "unpaid" tolls. However, I have an operating transponder in the car so I am trying to dispute it. The main issue is that I have a new License Plate with a new number. When I try to register the plate number I get an error message saying that the License Plate number is already linked to another account. It seems that the plate number was recycled.

I have continuously called, messaged them online and created tickets. They never respond. When I called today I got a message that said the waiting time was 52 minutes and if I preferred, they could call me back so I wouldn't have to wait on the phone so I selected that option. About an hour later I received a call and when I answered the phone no one spoke. Instead, a song played continuously. I was desperate to speak with someone so I waited. After 8 minutes of listening to the song, they hung up on me! When I called back the wait time was now 79 minutes! This is ridiculous. I want to resolve the issues with my invoices because after 3/31/19 they are going to charge fees for non-paid invoices. They need to hire more customer service employees to be able to handle the influx of calls.

Original review: March 26, 2019

If there was negative stars, I'd give them 100 negative stars. I waited on the phone for well over one hour as their online program will not let me in. After which they promptly hung up the phone. There isn't a worse experience I have had in well over 20 years than with them... How can they be in business with this horrible customer service?

Original review: March 13, 2019

I am being billed for a toll charge that was not mine. I am disputing the charge on 3/12/2019 at Yeehaw Junction. Your service rep, Eric, informed me that the charge was from the car I no longer own and that I did not deactivate the old transponder. The steps I took to deactivate this transponder: When I bought my new car, I immediately deactivate the transponder on the old car. However, a problem developed with my new car whereby I needed to use my old car for another month while my new car was in service. Because I could not reactivate the old transponder, I called SunPass and they fixed that problem for me. One month later, my new car was returned to me where I then transferred the plate from old to new and when online to SunPass and moved the license plate to the new car, removed the old car from the list.

Eric informed me that I did not deactivate the old transponder and therefore I am responsible for a $6.40 charge on a toll that I did not use. I informed Eric that I did deactivate the old code. He kept insisting that I did not. I kept insisting that his records did not show that and that I did, indeed deactivated the transponder. His insistence that I did not was implying that I am lying. I kept asking him to state that the SunPass records did not show that the transponder code was never deactivated refusing to state the obvious, that SunPass computer records showed that it was never deactivated. By refusing to state the obvious, that SunPass records did not show this rather he insisted that I did not do this is tantamount to him telling me that I am a liar.

GIGO - garbage in, garbage out. It is a simple matter for Eric to state that their records show it did not happen. Yet he refused to insert into the conversation the words, "our records". Further, he informed me that the license plate on the old car was not transferred to my new car. Yet, I was looking at my account online and it clearly showed that the plate was registered to my new car. Worse, he told me because I had not deactivated the old transponder that I was liable for the charge and there was NO WAY for me to protest this.

Original review: March 11, 2019

My credit card was charged $25 on Jan 18, 19, 20 and 21st, 2019. I hadn't even been on the parkway. Then I received an invoice in the mail for $13 - two days later my credit card was charged another $10. I filed a complaint on their online site as trying to call several times proved useless. The wait time each time I called was over 34 minutes. I still haven't received a refund. I went online today to cancel my account and the site is down!

Original review: March 5, 2019

I wanted to simply add a vehicle to my transponder account. My online account tells me I have to call customer service at 1-888-865-5352 to add a vehicle. First time I waited to be connected to someone for 32 min before I had to leave and had to hang up! The second time I called I waited for 43 min on hold to be connected to a customer service rep at which point adding the car took less than a min.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have been a SunPass customer for years, yesterday I got an E-PASS Pay By Plate bill for $45.00 dollars, how that can happen? Well, some act of magic change my transporter number and I don't know where my Sun-pass funds went. I cancelled my account and from now on I am just going to pay cash and keep the receipts. Something very funny, it's happening with this toll system in Florida.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I have always have a SunPass account. I have always automatically replenished the account so that we don't fall behind. Some time last year the card on file got stolen and we had to change cards. I didn't think about the sunpass being linked because they're not top of mind since they don't send out monthly reminders. The card stayed off the account for months before I was notified that my bill was over $150. I began to pay it but couldn't attach my card because it would take the whole amount which I couldn't afford to do. So the amount continued to climb. A couple of months later amount is over $360 in tolls. No notices or reminders. Just a "Hey, by the way, you owe this amount due a week from now or you will incur fees and charges and won't be able to register your plate the next year." This company needs a better notification system to let people know before their amount gets so high. I wish there was another option. I hate SunPass.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Traveling 417 to Orlando airport with an iPass (compatible with E-ZPass) I got double charged for a toll. Put a claim into Sunpass and was refused and told I had to get it from iPass. iPass wanted written proof of SunPass activity before they would review with no guaranty of refund. So for a possible $1.40 refund I have to supply paper, ink, envelope and stamp. Totally frustrating experience with about as poor customer service I have ever encountered. Another example of our mismanaged government.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Looks like bunch of idiots are working there. My every call made matters worse. My transponder never arrived to me. I called to request a refund. They said it is not a problem and they will issue it. Refund never came. Called them again, I was told it can take up to 21 days. I waited 21 more days and called gain and was told that refund was never issued and they are going to reissue it. After several days I've received text saying I have 0 balance. Looks like they just issued refund on my money that was sitting on my account, but not for the transponder. And this money are still hasn't reached my checking account. These guys are ** joke.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Although have a valid SunPass, the tag changed and we were billed $169.30. We went to the SunPass site and logged to our existing account and after repeated attempts to link the tag, it says, "SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE. PLEASE TRY LATER." But no matter how much later it has the same response!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Rewards program has been cancelled. Why? There are a lot of us that use the tolls every single day to go to work. It is fine to lower the rates but do not make the daily user end up paying for people and tourists that use it once in a while. The discount is fine but do not cancel the rewards program that you had offered and that we were counting on your word and a lot of people kept using the service because of the rewards as well.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

OK, for years I have had to avoid all toll roads because of a $47.00 charge for a $1.50 toll. Visiting Florida for vacation and visiting family I’ve had to avoid all tolls because it was the only one, SunPass. E-ZPass services all the east coast except Florida. I’ve even got charged once and didn’t go on the toll road, with more than an hour's worth of my time fighting it it was refunded. Finally in October 2018 is see E-ZPass is accepted. Just visited again and I brought my E-ZPass with me, logged in vehicle and began driving.

Well, several miles on the 417 guess what, a small sign says “end of E-ZPass” WHAT! I can’t believe this, I got off exit and a toll, SunPass only, are you kidding me. My wife and I are digging for change holding traffic up in a panic. Well .85 cents is all we had and I’m sure I’ll get screwed on this one. Will you get your crap together Florida? All E-ZPass or none. I’m sick of getting screwed over toll violations with your ripoff program. You're killing the environment as well because people like me are tired of get ripped and burning more gas traveling 20 extra miles to avoid tolls. What a monopoly for tourist getting burned with the rentals and out of state vehicles.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Trying to activate a new SunPass account and was told it couldn't be activated because of an unpaid toll by photo. I had a SunPass at that time that was used and there was no unpaid toll. I ended up closing that account because they charged money to my credit card when none was due. Florida SunPass is the worst!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

In July I tried to replenish my account 3 times and always received an error. Was not able to replenish my account due to their system problems... My father passed away that same month and had to fly out on emergency and while I was gone, with funeral costs and all my account went into negative because of all the expenses involved... Then SunPass suddenly started debiting my account and causing overdraft fees. They did not refund the money because they said it was not their fault. Told them wait a minute, if their system would have been working properly this never would have happened. Still said it was not their fault and would not refund a dime! Spoke to a Alexis **... Really bad customer service!!! Rick Scott is the biggest liar for saying that they would give us our overdraft fees back.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I go to Orlando once every couple of months, so I don't need a lot of prepaid tolls. I tried to add funds (first time since the summer "upgrade"). For security issues, I don't want the site to save my card information, and that is one of the choices, Option 3 of 3. I hit submit button once, and got the "Fix errors below" error message. What errors? The radio button has flipped to Option 1: Save card for Easy autopayments. Which I absolutely do not want. Changed it back, and now the error says my card info is invalid (it ain't). Can't proceed.

I take it they are trying to trick you into giving them permission to keep your card info, and then they can charge you $20 every day whether you use the tolls or not like so many people are complaining about. I'll stop the 5 times on the road between here and Orlando and pay cash. Who sold our roads to these jerks, anyway? Vote them out!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

SunPass began charging me $30 a week for what they said were backdated charges. They have dates and times of toll charges when my car was parked as I had flown to Oregon for 10 days. They have me on routes in Leesburg at 5 am and on University when I am clocked in at my job. Sometimes 6 or 7 charges within minutes of each other when I don't use toll roads in my commute. Now I took my card off the autopay and the transponder completely out of my car and they are still racking up toll charges at the rate of $30 a week. They said they don't take video of my car going through tolls but refuse to remove any of the fake charges. They also will not close the account because it's now in a negative balance.

SunPass Prepaid Toll Program Company Information