SunPass Prepaid Toll Program

Florida

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I noticed that I wasn't being charged for my SunPass account so called the 888 number to follow up. There were two accounts - one had been sent to collections, the other was in good standing. The rep explained that collections had to be paid first, then the account in good standing would be discounted. Fine! Paid the collections account and called back after a week to settle the other account. The rep gave me three different amount $61, $47 & $50. There is no credibility with this company! It'll get done when I renew my license. With all the technology we have, WHY doesn't a national toll system exist?!?!

Apparent I have added a rental car to my account for a day more than a year ago for a 1-day rental. Turns out either I typed expiration year 2060 by mistake or their IVR system misunderstood 2016 as 2060. In short, I have been paying for a 1-day car rentals SunPass for over a year. Their system has no checks and balances as no one will rent a car for 46 years. They refused to refund me a dime.

For nearly a year, I have had to provide SunPass with my address so they could send me the bills monthly. They have always had trouble with mailing my invoices so that I may pay them on time. Because of their incompetence, I have had to pay for accumulated bills multiple times, leaving me at a financial disadvantage. For months I have had to call them to provide the same address I have been living at for about 5 years. Their system will not keep the address and as a result, I would not receive the documents to make the payments on time, leaving me to pay additional fees. They have charged me an accumulated $214.00 without sending me invoices and/or placing the invoices on my account to review. I only have invoices from 2013-2015 from my previous car. How am I to know what has to be paid if I'm not receiving any documents by mail or the correct information in my account online. This is a scam without a doubt.

Their customer service rep explained to me that when you register online, you would no longer receive invoices by mail. The supervisor then came on and explained that I should still receive invoices by mail even if I did register online. Someone please help me and give me the truth!! Inaccurate information on their website!! False information provided by staff!! Inability to send the necessary documents to the customer's address because their faulty system cannot keep it on file!!! For all I know, the charges can be false!!! They themselves cannot prove otherwise. My advice: contact an attorney for immediate legal advice or contact the media to expose the company.

I just received a bill for $767 that dates back to 2013 through 2015! Have a SunPass account, and have still had to pay bills they send me even with that account. This bill is all for one specific toll booth on 417 in Orlando. There is nothing more on my bill. The sad truth here is you have to pay. There is no option. They hold your registration & license over your head. How can they bill you so long after the fact? This system needs a real overhaul.

Toll by plate is a giant scam. They claim invoices are sent out monthly but then why did I get 10 months of tolls at once and the worst part is there is no payment option other than just pay in full. Don't know about you but I don't have 700$ lying around.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPass Prepaid Toll Program?

I have read many of the reviews about the SunPass FL process regarding billing and to my surprise I am not alone. I tried renewing my tag and was advice to contact two different #s by the DMV as a restriction was place on my renewal due to an outstanding. Now, in ALL expressways and toll areas where there are NO booths a pretty big sign shows stating "We will bill you" which means one will receive correspondence to make a payment. I was told by a representative at the numbers I had to call there is a combine balance of $663.00 for my tag. This includes Tolls from 2014 til 12/2/16. Now let me back up a little, BOTH agents told me the address the correspondence was send to was NOT the one on my license. It was an address I lived in 9 YEARS ago! Keep in mind, I have had my vehicle since 2014 AND renew my tags since then without ANY knowledge of this matter from ANYONE at SunPass.

I question, "How come, been that my assumption is the SunPass communicates with the DMV, was my address not updated since I update my license in 2013." Both agents advice "We do not know." After like any human being I freak out due to one not knowing about this issue AT all and two the ridiculous amount one of the individuals I spoke to explain I could do a dispute thru their website with all the documents showing my address. Forward 45 minutes later and I get a very suspicious phone call from a rep named Brian from area code 561 who proceeds to explain to me how the previous representative had given incorrect information because they (magically) now show the bill were send to the correct and current address.

Again, I flipped out and asked for a supervisor. This time I spoke to a guy named Angel ** who not only made me more upset he pretty much treated like a criminal. The one question no one I spoke to today could answer was why was my address never updated. This man had the audacity to yelled at me at tell me "The restriction cannot be remove but if you pay half of the balance we can lifted." My issue with this nightmare is how do they bill me TWO years later, insult my intelligence trying to tell me the correct address was used when it wasn't and tell me there is nothing that can be done but if I pay half of it then you can all while not answering ANY of my questions.

I am seeking legal assistance because I will not pay any of the late or administrative fees for an error I didn't commit. The Tolls are about .79/.85 so how it add up to $663 is as baffling to me as it is to you trust me. What lesson you can learned by reading this? The same one I did this morning, the Sunpass FL is A JOKE and a HUGE SCAM. They do not have the correct information to bill you properly or correctly and will be quick to cause you the utmost aggravation you will ever experience in your adult life.

Lastly, after all this phone calls were done. I logged in to submit my dispute and not only did the representative that I had spoke to or supervisor had updated my address as I very kindly advice AND the email address I offer for a itemized statement was incorrect. Please know I alpha-spelled my email to them as well as my address. If anyone has an hour information, tips or additional suggestions please feel free to share.

How can SunPass fine me a violation, while I have EPass auto-replenish and at the time I supposedly committed the toll violation, I had money in my EPass account? It's scam where for certain spots they don't take EPass, charge for violation with an added $2.50 fee, and put a stop on tag/title renewals. They offer to prevent this, by instead getting a SUNPASS auto-replenish account. So basically they are trying to steal all EPass holders by fining them unjustifiably.

This is beyond unfair to us consumers and in my opinion all Sunpass pay-by-toll should be reimbursed to those who paid these, outstanding tickets should be removed, and they should not have the power to not allow one to renew our titles, which exposes us to added chances of getting pulled over by ridiculous excuses, knowing we either have to allow selves to get scammed and pay up or while fighting this and be able to renew, get slapped with expired tag and registration fees. Seems FDOT has nifty scam going on, and they have to be stopped and exposed. The sooner the better! Guess I cannot drive Christmas weekend now, because though I have zero tickets showing anywhere, I cannot renew my tag/title due to bogus, perhaps even double fined fees, thanks to Sunpass.

So I received a bill in the mail for almost 85 dollars for a car that is not mine, has never been mine, and the license plate has never ever been in my name. I called the rep told me to call dmv to provide documents that it is not my plate. After calling the DMV they told me I would have to find the docs on their website and PAY to fill them out and wait 2-3 weeks for toll by plate to receive them. I was not going to pay for something that is not my fault. The car picture in the bill was a Honda civic and I drive a Mazda so I called Honda, the car and plate have never ever been in my name and Honda has no idea why I was the one billed and that I should call toll by plate again to tell you to update your records which another agent put in an esc and I have to wait 5-7 bus days. The car and plate are my ex-husband's car and plate number how my information was obtained to bill me on someone else's car is beyond me.

We travelled to Destin from NC on 10/22/16, crossing the toll bridge on SR 293 at 11:34 am, paying the $4.00 passenger car toll prior to crossing the bridge over to Destin. We left Destin at 6:15 am 10/29/16, again paying the $4.00 passenger car toll at the toll booth. Lo and behold, we get a letter from our car leasing finance company, along with Invoices from the FDOT, with a photo of our license plate stating we owe $6.50 for unpaid tolls!! The lease finance company paid the toll, now we have to roll that into our next car payment. It's not the money, $6.50 won't break us, it's the principle of being ripped off!! Next year, if we return to Destin like we planned, we will NOT be taking the toll road. I would rather go 100 miles out of our way to screw the Florida DOT out of that money rather than go through this again.

I drive thru the i95 express lane 5 days a week because I cannot afford to spend 2 hrs in traffic, sorry. So get a letter stating that a $25 per day violation will post to my acct if the transponder does not read. I had the transponder in my car but I find out my 2017 Jaguar type F has a reflective material in the glass that interferes with the signal of my SunPass. So I called them and they said they have a specialty list of cars that require "bumper mounts" lol, yes bumper mounts. So I call my dealer and they said that they have to be permanently installed (drilled) into front bumper and if your car is a lease then you have to replace the bumper and paint, labor etc. (Lmao).

So I called SunPass and informed them of this information and they informed me that there is nothing they can do about that. So I told them, "Should I drive the whole way on i95 with my hand outside the window waving my SunPass?". They said, 'no'. Actually they asked me if I wanted to close my account. I already pay $5-18 depending on traffic to go express and then they want to rip me off another $25 because they said they have to pay someone to look at license plates. Tell me something people, tolls were 25 cents and people actually had to stand there and collect. Now no people there and $5-$18 without no work and an extra $25 for someone to work and read your plate. We should sue the crap out of SunPass people. Let's get these **.

First, the SunPass website is a joke. Can make payments, it continues to loop you around the site and you can't get jack ** accomplished. Second, don't call customer service; they will NEVER pick up. Third, our money has to be going in SOMEONE'S pocket, we get charged for not even being near a toll... WTF is really going on?! Very pissed off customer.

How can they possibly get away with overcharging me for a toll if no one was there for me to pay them. So because this toll was not manned, I have to pay the toll plus an administrative fee. What a ripoff. I called twice to complain about this and each rep gave me a totally different reason as to why I was being charged. There is no reasoning with these people.

When you cannot complete a transaction either on the phone or via computer, there's too much bureaucracy. SunPass has proof of my father's death but could not allow me to take over his account and his transponder, even though the money for his account had been coming from my checking account for years. No, I have to buy a new transponder and open a new account. If I had an option of another company, I'd look into it. But SunPass is the only prepaid toll program in the state. I have no options. It offered to let me take a phone survey, but I had to have some number so I could even get to the survey. Yeah, like the people who run SunPass really want to know what customers think.

On the 12th October 2016, I entered the Florida Turnpike at the entrance #99 Okeechobee Blvd, West Palm Beach, headed South exit 58 where I exited. I handed the Toll booth worker my ticket and she said that she does not take tickets, and that I had gone thru a Toll plaza? What I saw no Toll Plaza, she said it's off to the side and a lot of people miss it. She also said I was to call the number printed on the ticket, and I still had to pay $1.25 additional to get off at exit #58.

Upon arriving home I called the number and said I had to wait till I received the ticket. and it will cost me $15.52. The total cost of driving the complete Turnpike from Orlando, FL to Lauderhill, FL. It is my understanding that they know they have a problem and could not care less, pay up or get fined. BTW 1 star is too good a score. As far as I am concerned they can rot in hell with a -100. The State needs to look into this matter. In August of last year a army buddy came down to see me, and he was traveling across the state from Naples, FL to Fort Lauderdale via 595 headed to I95. He also got a $35 ticket in the mail. He said that there was no signs toll both or exits. I would just love a class action lawsuit against these robbers. PS. I will not ever use the turnpike again.

I want to join or organize a Class Action Lawsuit against SunPass. They perform deceptively to cheat people. They charge every two weeks $2.50 as "administrative charges" stating they send you letters, but they never do. I can subpoena the post office, I'm sure they will testify, of no record of Sunpass mail. I Sunpass fee of $5.00 turns to be $300 in a matter of months with those "administrative charges." It's about "We, the people" take some action back against these thieves. Call me if you want to organize a Action Class Lawsuit. My number is **, my name is **.

I went through two Florida tolls in the Tampa, Fl area late Sept 2016 and paid my tolls into the basket they had for toll deposits, and the green light came on saying go. Couple weeks later I get a bill for both toll instances saying I owed! I called, was told first baskets had been taken off their tolling areas. Lie. What did I do, dream this? Second, was told I had to pay, that they had a picture of my license plate. So what, I paid and was given a go light and you couldn't even see the car or area I was in (that would show a basket) because the photo was dark otherwise... how convenient. I paid my extortion amount to just get it handled and done with. Multiply this instance and others in the same situation and how many fraudulent dollars is this agency collecting a year... hundreds... thousands... over years... millions?

We are not a frequent travellers and we always like to pay for every service that we used and in this situation there was nobody to pay at the toll (Sunpass) Orlando Florida and with our intend to pay then we are going to get a toll violation fee for it without any reason. Not fair.

I received a toll ticket for passing. I didn't even pass nor was in the general vicinity. This is absolutely outrageous and the whole time I am typing this I have already been on hold with Customer Service. They claim the vehicle had my license plate when just the first two numbers were off. Obviously the person who typed up the invoice, which can do serious damage to my credit, needs to be reprimanded to the extreme. The whole situation is absolutely stupid and I hope to never visit Florida so someone won't accidentally have a SIMILAR license and get wrongfully charged like me. I live in New York and the picture of the license plate SHOWED THE REAL LICENSE NUMBER WHICH WAS NOT MINE. This company is delusional and offers no help.

I just received a Unpaid Toll Violation from Lake Worth with MY license plate number. Now I have never been to Lake Worth, the motorcycle in the picture has a windscreen, which mine doesn't, and he has a sissy bar on the back of his bike, which I don't. Interesting thing is, it's my license plate. Total scam to get $16.40 from anyone willing to pay it versus going through all the misery I can tell is going to be coming my way from this error.

My relative is in Afghanistan and sold their car before leaving, not knowing she had to keep the plate, so now 3 years later someone is racking up hundreds of dollars using this illegal plate and neither the sheriff's office, SunPass will help. She is overseas and cannot do anything but they expect her to pay. No one seems concerned about a stolen car with illegal plates and an illegal sticker!! Amazing. I was suppose to get a survey but after being transferred to the survey and being on hold over 10 minutes I was cut off without ever getting an opportunity to do it.

I hate to even give them one star. This is one of the biggest rip offs I've seen since the Ponzi Scam. They bill you months later. Add fees for not paying on time, add interest for not paying on time. They have NO PROGRAM set up so drivers can renew their tag. There are over 400,000 drivers in Dade County alone that cannot renew their auto tag due to (continuous fees and interest added each month) outstanding toll bills. If you didn't have the money when it was a cash paying business with real people taking the tolls this was never the case. Even if you have the money you must just drive thru the lane and pay the consequences. SOMEONE NEEDS TO TAKE ACTION AND HELP DRIVERS GET THEIR TAGS SO THEY CAN GO TO WORK!!!

Never, while I was living in the state of FL, did I receive a bill for Sunpass lanes. I admit I took it a few times, though I did try to avoid it. My roommate borrowed my vehicle and constantly took the damned toll roads! While I could strangle her, it's worth paying just to be rid of her. My first problem with this, is that I did offer to pay, but they wanted half up front. Well, I will pay the first half to the collection agency on the first, then in September I will pay the rest of what I owe to the state. I will never set foot in FL again. The governor is an establishment corrupt moron who doesn't know his backside from his front! He should be drawn and quartered, along with Hitlery and Obozo.

This is just to state, my intent to pay. I hated living in FL. To bill me nearly a year after I have moved out of state is highly unethical, because I was expecting to pay it before I left. (Like within 30 days of the violation! VA contacts you three days later!) There needs to be signs posted, and there needs to be a way to avoid the toll roads once you're on. All the roadwork on the highway there makes it virtually impossible to avoid the toll lanes! Fix your damned roads and stop preying on your citizens! The worst state I have ever lived in!

I keep getting charges with pictures even though I have an active Sunpass account. I've tried numerous times to settle this with Sunpass but each time they say they will call me back, but NEVER do. They admit my Sunpass account is active and funded but do nothing to resolve my problem. Now these charges are turned over to a collection agency. I want this situation resolved immediately. I have had a Sunpass account for many years that's automatically funded. Why is this agency allowed to act so negligently.

Consumer Increased Rating!

My name has been removed from the list this company was using. Yet the woman I spoke with said it could be possible for me to receive incorrect invoices from other Florida tolling companies in the future but, if so, contact her and she'll resolve the problem.

JT of North Quincy, MA on

Original Review

I received an invoice for a toll violation in Florida yet the problem is that #1 I never have driven in or been in by car and #2 I don't even have a car! I am unsure how they got my name or whose car with that license place is registered to! I called and they said it will take 7-10 business days to check the case and that they will call back between 7-10 business days!

SunPass (working for the Miami-Dade Airport Parking) took $357 out of my account when I had a $17 parking total for 12 hours at Miami International Airport. It is has proven impossible to get my money back. I have received so many apologies but not my money back. SunPass literally debited my checking account and gave it to MIA in error. Now after 15 days I am told to continue to wait while they investigate.

I have been told the check has been cut by SunPass but waiting approval. I have been told SunPass is waiting for Miami-Dade and they are to blame and SunPass is trying to get my money back as a courtesy to me... HA! I was told by SunPass that if you had money taken incorrectly by a Visa or MasterCard for a vendor you would go to the vendor... I actually corrected him and told him ("Licio" a "manager" at SunPass) that Visa/MC would give you the money back and go after the vendor if there was fraud. Too bad SunPass doesn't have customer service like Visa/MC.

Every day I call, every day I am told the same thing by the "managers" at SunPass... "We feel bad but we can't do anything. We have to wait for Miami-Dade to tell us we can give you your money back". Every day goes by and every day the SunPass and Miami-Dade County hold my money hostage in what any other situation would be call theft.

Never put your SunPass on auto debit or EasyPay... If they make a mistake, you will have to fight harder than with your cousin to get your money back. Just simple theft on the part of SunPass, Miami-Dade County, MIA and their parking system. In the real world, people go to jail for stealing $350, for Miami-Dade County and SunPass, it's just another day at the office.

Some few weeks ago, driving north on Eisenhower Boulevard in Tampa, FL, I got in the wrong lane accidentally and found myself on the on ramp of the Veteran's Expressway with no toll booth and no way to turn around except proceed to the next exit which was less than one mile. I turned around there and exited the Expressway.

I would have gladly paid the normal $.25 toll for that short distance. Instead the camera had taken my license plate number and I got an invoice in the mail for $3.03. That amount included a $2.50 service charge. I paid this but I am frankly outraged and incensed. For getting in a wrong lane and getting off at the first exit, this charge is absolutely ridiculous.

There has been a lot of road construction and changes in that area in the recent past, so many changes and so many lanes it is confusing especially for someone who does not have occasion to travel the area on a daily basis. Nailing people an amount that would be owed for a full trip up the Veterans for a few yards to a turnaround is positively despicable in my opinion.

Scammers working in collusion with SunPass. I pay the MDX tolls via SunPass and then MDX sends me a separate bill even though they are already charging me through SunPass. Constantly having to prove to them that I've already paid their tolls. They even have a separate website for disputing claims! They know what they are doing and I'm shocked it's allowed. Waiting to join a class action lawsuit against these scammers. 1 star only because it's the lowest rating.

First, they have 2 (at least 2) Toll-By-Plate administrative groups. First you get a bill from FDOT, then you get a bill from MDX. Second, the cost, based on my last trip, is $.25/mile. Take 95.

I was sent an invoice and it says my payment was due date of May 16th. On May 9th it was sent to collections. This was first notice I received. I went to pay it and it was sent to collections. MISLEADING organization. Some places unless you know the trick to get around the toll you have no choice. SCAM!!

Adding money to your SunPass transponder is a real pain. I'm surprised when the process goes well and hate to have to use the site when my balance is low. It is the only bill online that can take hours or days to get the site to process a payment, having to log in several times to see if the site is going to work. Their customer service phone number does not even confirm you are talking to SunPass, you are not prompted an option to make a payment before they start asking questions and trying to connect you to a insurance company. I have insurance and it's up to date. I'm VERY DISSATISFIED with their service more often than not. The customer service # listed on their site is 1-888-Toll-FLA.

Updated on 06/04/2016: SunPass once again. I received notice my balance is low - went to make payment and their system will not process. This is an update - I had the same issue last month, after several days I was able to get their system to process the payment. I'm going to pay cash at the tolls now. I see SunPass offers classy stores "sarcasm" Amscot, or other places no one ever heard of where you can make prepaid payments. Not Like Publix or Walgreens, CVS.

SunPass Prepaid Toll Program Company Profile