1.03/5
Are you this business? Claim your page

Need a utility company?

Florida

178 SunPass Prepaid Toll Program Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 13, 2019

I am being billed for a toll charge that was not mine. I am disputing the charge on 3/12/2019 at Yeehaw Junction. Your service rep, Eric, informed me that the charge was from the car I no longer own and that I did not deactivate the old transponder. The steps I took to deactivate this transponder: When I bought my new car, I immediately deactivate the transponder on the old car. However, a problem developed with my new car whereby I needed to use my old car for another month while my new car was in service. Because I could not reactivate the old transponder, I called SunPass and they fixed that problem for me. One month later, my new car was returned to me where I then transferred the plate from old to new and when online to SunPass and moved the license plate to the new car, removed the old car from the list.

Eric informed me that I did not deactivate the old transponder and therefore I am responsible for a $6.40 charge on a toll that I did not use. I informed Eric that I did deactivate the old code. He kept insisting that I did not. I kept insisting that his records did not show that and that I did, indeed deactivated the transponder. His insistence that I did not was implying that I am lying. I kept asking him to state that the SunPass records did not show that the transponder code was never deactivated refusing to state the obvious, that SunPass computer records showed that it was never deactivated. By refusing to state the obvious, that SunPass records did not show this rather he insisted that I did not do this is tantamount to him telling me that I am a liar.

GIGO - garbage in, garbage out. It is a simple matter for Eric to state that their records show it did not happen. Yet he refused to insert into the conversation the words, "our records". Further, he informed me that the license plate on the old car was not transferred to my new car. Yet, I was looking at my account online and it clearly showed that the plate was registered to my new car. Worse, he told me because I had not deactivated the old transponder that I was liable for the charge and there was NO WAY for me to protest this.

Original review: March 11, 2019

My credit card was charged $25 on Jan 18, 19, 20 and 21st, 2019. I hadn't even been on the parkway. Then I received an invoice in the mail for $13 - two days later my credit card was charged another $10. I filed a complaint on their online site as trying to call several times proved useless. The wait time each time I called was over 34 minutes. I still haven't received a refund. I went online today to cancel my account and the site is down!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I wanted to simply add a vehicle to my transponder account. My online account tells me I have to call customer service at 1-888-865-5352 to add a vehicle. First time I waited to be connected to someone for 32 min before I had to leave and had to hang up! The second time I called I waited for 43 min on hold to be connected to a customer service rep at which point adding the car took less than a min.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have been a SunPass customer for years, yesterday I got an E-PASS Pay By Plate bill for $45.00 dollars, how that can happen? Well, some act of magic change my transporter number and I don't know where my Sun-pass funds went. I cancelled my account and from now on I am just going to pay cash and keep the receipts. Something very funny, it's happening with this toll system in Florida.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I have always have a SunPass account. I have always automatically replenished the account so that we don't fall behind. Some time last year the card on file got stolen and we had to change cards. I didn't think about the sunpass being linked because they're not top of mind since they don't send out monthly reminders. The card stayed off the account for months before I was notified that my bill was over $150. I began to pay it but couldn't attach my card because it would take the whole amount which I couldn't afford to do. So the amount continued to climb. A couple of months later amount is over $360 in tolls. No notices or reminders. Just a "Hey, by the way, you owe this amount due a week from now or you will incur fees and charges and won't be able to register your plate the next year." This company needs a better notification system to let people know before their amount gets so high. I wish there was another option. I hate SunPass.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPass Prepaid Toll Program?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Traveling 417 to Orlando airport with an iPass (compatible with E-ZPass) I got double charged for a toll. Put a claim into Sunpass and was refused and told I had to get it from iPass. iPass wanted written proof of SunPass activity before they would review with no guaranty of refund. So for a possible $1.40 refund I have to supply paper, ink, envelope and stamp. Totally frustrating experience with about as poor customer service I have ever encountered. Another example of our mismanaged government.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Looks like bunch of idiots are working there. My every call made matters worse. My transponder never arrived to me. I called to request a refund. They said it is not a problem and they will issue it. Refund never came. Called them again, I was told it can take up to 21 days. I waited 21 more days and called gain and was told that refund was never issued and they are going to reissue it. After several days I've received text saying I have 0 balance. Looks like they just issued refund on my money that was sitting on my account, but not for the transponder. And this money are still hasn't reached my checking account. These guys are ** joke.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Although have a valid SunPass, the tag changed and we were billed $169.30. We went to the SunPass site and logged to our existing account and after repeated attempts to link the tag, it says, "SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE. PLEASE TRY LATER." But no matter how much later it has the same response!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Rewards program has been cancelled. Why? There are a lot of us that use the tolls every single day to go to work. It is fine to lower the rates but do not make the daily user end up paying for people and tourists that use it once in a while. The discount is fine but do not cancel the rewards program that you had offered and that we were counting on your word and a lot of people kept using the service because of the rewards as well.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

OK, for years I have had to avoid all toll roads because of a $47.00 charge for a $1.50 toll. Visiting Florida for vacation and visiting family I’ve had to avoid all tolls because it was the only one, SunPass. E-ZPass services all the east coast except Florida. I’ve even got charged once and didn’t go on the toll road, with more than an hour's worth of my time fighting it it was refunded. Finally in October 2018 is see E-ZPass is accepted. Just visited again and I brought my E-ZPass with me, logged in vehicle and began driving.

Well, several miles on the 417 guess what, a small sign says “end of E-ZPass” WHAT! I can’t believe this, I got off exit and a toll, SunPass only, are you kidding me. My wife and I are digging for change holding traffic up in a panic. Well .85 cents is all we had and I’m sure I’ll get screwed on this one. Will you get your crap together Florida? All E-ZPass or none. I’m sick of getting screwed over toll violations with your ripoff program. You're killing the environment as well because people like me are tired of get ripped and burning more gas traveling 20 extra miles to avoid tolls. What a monopoly for tourist getting burned with the rentals and out of state vehicles.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Trying to activate a new SunPass account and was told it couldn't be activated because of an unpaid toll by photo. I had a SunPass at that time that was used and there was no unpaid toll. I ended up closing that account because they charged money to my credit card when none was due. Florida SunPass is the worst!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

In July I tried to replenish my account 3 times and always received an error. Was not able to replenish my account due to their system problems... My father passed away that same month and had to fly out on emergency and while I was gone, with funeral costs and all my account went into negative because of all the expenses involved... Then SunPass suddenly started debiting my account and causing overdraft fees. They did not refund the money because they said it was not their fault. Told them wait a minute, if their system would have been working properly this never would have happened. Still said it was not their fault and would not refund a dime! Spoke to a Alexis **... Really bad customer service!!! Rick Scott is the biggest liar for saying that they would give us our overdraft fees back.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I go to Orlando once every couple of months, so I don't need a lot of prepaid tolls. I tried to add funds (first time since the summer "upgrade"). For security issues, I don't want the site to save my card information, and that is one of the choices, Option 3 of 3. I hit submit button once, and got the "Fix errors below" error message. What errors? The radio button has flipped to Option 1: Save card for Easy autopayments. Which I absolutely do not want. Changed it back, and now the error says my card info is invalid (it ain't). Can't proceed.

I take it they are trying to trick you into giving them permission to keep your card info, and then they can charge you $20 every day whether you use the tolls or not like so many people are complaining about. I'll stop the 5 times on the road between here and Orlando and pay cash. Who sold our roads to these jerks, anyway? Vote them out!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

SunPass began charging me $30 a week for what they said were backdated charges. They have dates and times of toll charges when my car was parked as I had flown to Oregon for 10 days. They have me on routes in Leesburg at 5 am and on University when I am clocked in at my job. Sometimes 6 or 7 charges within minutes of each other when I don't use toll roads in my commute. Now I took my card off the autopay and the transponder completely out of my car and they are still racking up toll charges at the rate of $30 a week. They said they don't take video of my car going through tolls but refuse to remove any of the fake charges. They also will not close the account because it's now in a negative balance.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

SunPass website suck extra hard. Not able to make payments online, I'm taken to an error page with the message "This page is unavailable". What the ** is wrong with this company? I have other processes slowed down because of this.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I am a tourist who has visited the US several times and stayed for about 3 months each visit, I decided to purchase a vehicle and also a movable SunPass. I had to come back to my country but I didn't want to close my SunPass account since I thought I might use it whenever I went back. SunPass has been charging to my account tolls I have NOT used since I'm not driving my car because I'm NOT even in the USA!!

I've complained about 5 times now and they just close my case telling me the case seems to be resolved now on my account but they do NOTHING about it! I kept my account open so I could show proofs of the tolls and information, but they just kept replenishing my account, and now that I decided just to close. The account, not only they do not close it but also they don't give me the money left back. THIS IS DELINQUENCY. THEY ARE STEALING MONEY! BEWARE AND DON'T GET A SUNPASS EVER! From now on I'll pay my tolls cash if I ever come back to USA.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

There are 2 vehicles on my account that are not mine and I am being charged for their tolls. I contacted Sunpass and explained the situation and asked to be refunded for these charges. They replied by email a few days later saying that my complaints were not verified and my case was now closed. Meanwhile these vehicles tolls are still being charged to my account. I complained again and again. I got a reply stating we already told you your case is closed. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

They charged my SunPass for tolls it was physically impossible to be at with the timestamps provided. Tolls 30 mins apart but 1.5 hours in reality. They close tickets without even contacting. I asked for proof it was my vehicle since they had a problem with their tolls. (Billing 30 days later!) They couldn't provide me with anything! Lying scumbags rip people off and aren't accountable. There should be some sort of audit.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I was charged double the toll amount by their system, not sure the exact reason but it was also showing that I was driving a 3 Axle vehicle which I did not. When I filed a dispute online, I got an email stating that I will receive a response within two days. It's been a month now and no answer. I had called as well to know when I will get the credit back, but the operator had no answer when I will get my credit back. I know the toll dollars are small figures but people need to check their account to see this type of activities. When I opened another request online, instead of fixing the issue, they closed the previous request just to get back at me. This is very unprofessional, VERY POOR customer service.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We had auto pay with this people and they were charging me $20 every single day and even 2 times a day. I was away from Friday 08/31 until Wednesday 09/5/18. Upon my return I was surprised that I had been charged $20 every day since I left and even after I canceled their services, they made me pay $80 for cancellation and another $20 the day after. After the cancellation I started paying my tolls at the booth. To my surprise even though I had paid at the booth they are charging my tag for having gone through the toll plaza. I spoke to the supervisor named Kathlin who would not speak to me and hung up the phone while I am trying to figure out why they are double charging me for something I had already paid. It seems to me that they are surely taking advantage of unsuspecting drivers and if I had not checked my statement they surely would have continued charging my account for more than what should have been.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Cancelled our account and it was verified by SunPass on 7-3-2018 and now over two months later still no refund of the funds we had in our account! We called and all they said is that they did not know why!!! The Florida Government is unable to do a professional job no matter what. Rick Scott is to blame. SunPass wants their exorbitant toll fees but WILL NOT REFUND someone who no longer needs the service. This is totally ILLEGAL!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Outrageously high toll fees and overcharging my account - I have been using SunPass for about system for about 6 months and for the first 4 months it was going good. The last two months they have overcharging me and every other day taking money out of my automatic payment account, I had to change it from automatic because it was ridiculous how much they were taking out. I have read of many other customers having the same issues.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

If I could give SunPass as a company minus 10 stars, I would! They overcharged my credit card $125.00 and I had to go through the trouble of blacking out charges on my credit card statement (other than the SunPass charges), scanning them and emailing them to SunPass. They then told me this was insufficient to show the SunPass charges and said I should send the complete statement!!! I told them that was ALL I had showing what SunPass charged me, and my other charges were NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!! She then told me I could "try" faxing it in or go to a SunPass office, which is a two hour drive for me. I told her this was insanity and I should not have to spend my time, money and gas to recover money that they took from me. My next step is to call the Florida Attorney General's Office, Consumer Protection and see what they suggest.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

SunPass is charging me 175.00 in tolls as an error cause the was supposedly on a update. First they started taking more money from my credit card. When I finally noticed in 3 months they withdrew over 340.00 which I never even used in 7 months, I called multiple times. 1st I left my number to call cause the wait time was 62 minutes, 2nd I waited more than an hour. Finally when I had a rep on the phone she couldn't hear me, told me there was a problem with the system, I then called back a week later. Was on hold for hour and 15 minutes. I spoke to a customer service rep that could not explain the situation and told me the system is down and, "You have to pay no matter what," I told her that it is not the customer's fault that the system has overcharged thousands of customers.

All she can say is that I had to pay and everybody else that there was a big problem and there was a high volume of calls. When I seen that they were taking money out of my card I canceled the EZpay and let the account stay at the 175.00 I supposely owed and will try not to use SunPass. I really think they should get sued. Customer service is horrible due to the fact that these reps have to deal with this situation that is not their fault and lie to millions of customers. The state should cancel the contract with SunPass. SunPass makes Florida look like they are a rip-off state. I refuse to pay for something I didn't use and by being a customer since 2011 I think it's time to look elsewhere for toll service.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

It took 37 minutes to answer the phone and I have been online with them for 57 minutes to activate a portable transponder. They could not activate it and asked me to retune it to Publix and get another one. I wish I can use my E-ZPass from Virginia. It is very easy as it says. SunPass should call themselves HILLPASS. I do not recommend dealing with this company if you don't have to and if you do I feel sorry for you.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I had been charged over $350 in the last two months, I have automatic withdrawals every time my account gets to 20 and every time I check my account says it’s -21 and obviously keeps charging me $25 daily. Also tolls that I never go through for almost $1.91 each. I was 2 hour on hold and after the lady in the phone keep arguing that my account was only charged 5 times instead of the 18 times I actually showing her my bank statements, she hanged up on us and nothing was resolved.

I had to dispute those transactions with my bank but they have been still charging me even though I blocked them. Obviously they have been hacked and most of their transactions are going somewhere else. Even though they aren’t aware of this extra payments someone needs to do something and make them liable for their failure of keeping our account information safe. Attached shows the charges they received and pic two shows the fraudulent charges totaling $450 (two months period). Unspeakable!!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

SunPass has been taking out money this month August 2018. I had trusted them to be taking out what is due, but I’m to the point where there is just no way I’ve used 800.00 worth of tolls in the month of July. It’s not possible. They have shotgunned 20 debits of 40.00 over a 30 day period. When they were at 200.00 around the 6th of August I called them to ask what is going on they said they were making up for no charges in July. I was ok. I will look over my account and do the math. Well this past two weeks they took out an additional 600.00.

I tried calling them today. The wait time is 163 minutes so I’m guessing this isn’t just happening to me. The real problem is I can’t look over my statement with any accuracy being I’m not seeing what the current charges are. I can only see from July backwards. I called my bank and had them stop allowing SunPass to take any more money from my account. Until they fix their system they can expect to not get any money from me. I would be happy to jump in on a class action lawsuit with the rest of the state.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Not to mention the high pricing of tolls, that it is actually increasing more and more, this company should definitely redesign their policies. They started a supposed update of the system, and it has become a disgrace for most residents in Miami (and I suppose than not only for us). The toll they did not get during the re-structuring period they are getting them now, but how do I know they are being fair to me? No one explained that me as a customer, which could have been through a simple letter. Right now I have been on the phone for 1 hour waiting to talk to someone and nothing. They get more money and more money, and we just sit here waiting for the next charge.

Such a big company should have been ready for the change, otherwise should not have done it. But I understand, that is the best way to justify a more expensive service. This is abusive to people, and on top of all this a shameful customer service that does not care about the time you waste trying to reach someone to get explanations about all this. Definitely a great company to make you feel stressed and mad, and inexplicable service in a country like ours. God protect America from this company!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I have a rental company and SunPass was having problems with the system. When the customers returned the car there where no charges of tolls so I didn't collect money from them. 2 month after SunPass is billing me for all these transaction. Can I file or hire anyone to help me prevent these charges.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I drive the toll daily for work and get reimbursed for work. Since the system upgrade, really downgrade, I'm unable to retrieve a statement for June and July. Customer Service simply apologizes and says they are working on it. Well, when you've finished working on it, then I'll work on getting a reimbursement from my employer, and then work on making restitution for the ACTUAL tolls used. Horrid!

SunPass Prepaid Toll Program Company Information