1.10/5
Based on 147 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

Florida

150 SunPass Prepaid Toll Program Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I have a rental company and SunPass was having problems with the system. When the customers returned the car there where no charges of tolls so I didn't collect money from them. 2 month after SunPass is billing me for all these transaction. Can I file or hire anyone to help me prevent these charges.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I drive the toll daily for work and get reimbursed for work. Since the system upgrade, really downgrade, I'm unable to retrieve a statement for June and July. Customer Service simply apologizes and says they are working on it. Well, when you've finished working on it, then I'll work on getting a reimbursement from my employer, and then work on making restitution for the ACTUAL tolls used. Horrid!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Since the end of July, I have been charged 7 times to replenish my transponder. SunPass has an issue with their maintenance process and the customers are being affected not the business. You are affecting not just me but many other with these actions and eventually a class action lawsuit will happen. STOP with the CHARGES... at the end of the day you are the only ones benefiting from these actions. Many people live on a budget and your actions are hurting those on a budget. I have had to stop using the highway to get to work until the fees stop coming in. There is no way to stop the replenishing and they are happening every 2 to 3 days. STOP this... This is not the way to treat consumers who rely on the highways to get to work and home. Mr. Scott do something. If there was a way to give a negative score this issue would receive a -10 at least.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I take the toll road home after work Monday-Friday. I see I am being charged multiple time per day and even days that I don't use the toll road. This is ridiculous! When is this going to be fixed! At this rate I'll be putting money on my pass everyday to cover all the multiple charges or take a different route home. I have been using SunPass for a few years now and this is the 1st time anything like this has happened.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

On June 19th I called and purchased a transponder from this company. They charged my Amex card $22 for this item. I was told by a customer service agent I would receive the item in 5 business days. Ten day later I called again. One person said it's been delayed. The other a supervisor said it was shipped on June 26th and I should get it any day. Called again July 5 and I was given the same runaround by multiple members of their call center. On July 13th I called and was told that it been shipped and it should be there any day. I opened a dispute on their online page and a few days later the dispute was closed because "the issue has been resolved". On July 27th I spoke to three people in their call center who gave me three different stories.

I finally got an office manager Shelia who told me that I will have the item by the following Thursday. She was going to personally see to it that shipping gets it in the mail once our conversation ended. I told her I'd ring and ask for her on Aug 3rd if I haven't received it. It is now August 6th, I rang Sunpass today and was placed on hold for almost 90 minutes. Once I finally got a representative I asked to speak with Shelia and was told that she's there but it's not possible for me to speak to her. I left my number and still have not received a call. It has now been 7 weeks since my card was charged and I was promised a transponder by this company. The only thing I've gotten in return is empty promises and an upset spouse who has had her commute extended 25 mins more than it should currently be.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPass Prepaid Toll Program?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018 I started paying $15.00 a month, now I'm paying $75.00 for the same path. My car was at the shop for one week and they have the guts to charge me for those

days. I am going to write to the Mayor, the Governor, the Senator because there are thousands of people in the same situation. We need to know who is behind this and that are taking advantage of all of us.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

This is my first month with SunPass and I’ve been charged over $120!!! I keep getting a new receipt every 2-3 days charging me $20 every time and I’ve only been driving to work and back which is very close to my house! I hope they get shut down. This has got to be the biggest scam in the world!!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Wow. That is some shady action they have at SunPass. Screwed up a system for the last couple months and last night we get hit for all the toll payments from June. I got hit with 2 replenishment amounts for $20 each and of course this overdraws my bank acct. And since it's 2 payments I get nailed with 2 overdrafts also $20 a piece. Spoke to SunPass and will they help? Of course not. Well done, scumbags.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

They overcharge my account on 3 different occasion and never refund my money, I closed my account. My car has been down for more than a week and they keep charging me without refund, they are thieves.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

In The past Month SunPass Prepaid Toll Program has drawn off my bank account one week $ 40 dollars. Something impossible. Can you guys help on this because there is a lot of people in South Florida this the same problem.

Original review: July 26, 2018

All I will say is I am calling the team of investigators to help them go after these crooks for all of us. Endured SunPass's giant overhaul and mess they have made of everything. Then we are told everything is fixed and back up in July start using site as usual. Ok. Put my card # in system so I can replenish my card as needed. Set my low balance to $10. This company then proceeds to debit $10 PER DAY from my account!!! PER DAY! Even if I haven't used the toll roads I use on average $2-$5 per week. I have disputed the charges with my bank and got a new card. This is insane and I hope the govt sues the hell out of this third party company. I am going to stay off the toll roads I guess now. Ridiculous. Scam artists. DO NOT PUT YOUR BANK INFO INTO THEIR SYSTEM. THEY WILL DRAIN YOUR ACCT!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I've been trying for 2 months to register in the system. After reading all the posts, I'm glad I can't and I will stay far away. When I first moved to the area, I noticed all the maps route you toward 589 in Tampa. I ended up on toll road all the time and bills came left and right that I had rightly suspected I paid. After not being able to register due to HORRIBLE website and NO customer service via phone. I'm done. I'll ride the DMB.

Original review: June 18, 2018

The inability to operate the system correctly is shocking. After several days of the website not being able to function the operators that help with customers service are also unable to help customers. Weeks after waiting for the system to be updated or serviced still we have to do more waiting because the system is not working. The Department of Transportation receives MILLIONS of dollars directly from the government PLUS some more MILLIONS from drivers PAYING THE TOLLS and it is still not working right. Who on earth is pocketing the money and not doing the job??

Original review: June 9, 2018

So I keep getting the same bill for 6.99 in the mail with a late fee, I paid a toll on 5/17/18, it’s on my bank statement. On the same day I paid another toll was issued for the same price with a late fee, but my car hasn’t worked and it’s been grounded, so how am I being billed for something that I never used. Is there an attorney or lawyer that’s looks into this? I don’t plan to stay silent about this issue, I work hard for my money and am borderline poor, I’m sick of this extortion!

Original review: June 6, 2018

I received an email from a CC that I had never used & never given out the # to anyone, so when I received an email saying that I had a minimum payment due, I knew something was wrong. In checking it out, not only did I have a large charge on there from SiriusXM, but also a very small, yet fraudulent charge from this SunPass. They are in Florida - I live in California. I've never even been to Florida. I tried calling them, but their system is down. Imagine that.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Received a toll enforcement invoice in the mail. Shows 1 photo of my truck & license plate on the toll road. I did use 589 Florida toll road on the date. I paid tolls at every plaza. I called FDOT 888 824-8655 and spoke with an FDOT employee. I told her I paid at every plaza. She said that I got off and on the toll parkway 4 times at unattended toll collection booths and did not pay. For 1 I never got off the parkway until Tampa airport exit. So Florida has a scam ripoff going on. So yes I'll pay the FLORIDA STATE thieves and get my satisfaction in my own personal way!!! In the future I have ordered all my company drivers to not use any Florida toll roads. EVER!!! PAY BY PLATE SCAM!!!

Original review: May 15, 2018

Last 3 years I have traveled the turnpike, Stopped and paid every toll adamantly... Even told daughter this would happen. It is a scam by FDOT to rip off tourist every year. For under 5 bucks not worth going to court even though I'm sure the court is corrupt too... This is theft. I paid every damn toll and yet still get a ticket. Florida you suck... You are a disgrace to America.

Original review: May 14, 2018

If I could give it NO stars I would. They don't listen to **. They assume computers are correct when they are not. They never listen to the customer and the issues. Their computers don't show prior changes. If you don't watch your account they will overcharge you. I called over 2 months ago they never fixed or addressed anything so I had to call again and they still don't listen. They are a waste of space and horrible company. They are based out of Florida. No wonder why people always talk ** about Florida being so bad. It is companies like this. Get your customer service together!

Original review: March 26, 2018

I went on a trip to Delray Beach one day from Naples and paid all of my tolls. I actually was very adamant about it. Then 4 weeks later I get a bill stating that I had unpaid toll charges. Total **. I paid it just because that's how they get you - threatening that you pay or they will send you to a credit agency. This needs to be more controlled. Nowhere on the invoice did it explain what I was actually being charged for. I went thru the toll booth and paid at each stop. It was a total surprise to get the invoice in the mail - they must make a lot of money sending it these ** invoices. I usually don't complain about things but this needs to be stopped. Total bs.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I traveled to South Florida with my girlfriend. We hit tolls on the turnpike and she commented that she always gets a letter saying she had not paid the tolls when she had. I thought she must have been mistaken. Well, I paid every toll everytime and just got a letter. I told her and she said she has 3 letters. It is a scam and for $5 I’m sure everyone just pays it. It’s wrong to pay and then be accused of cheating. I don’t cheat. I paid the tolls. There is nothing you can do except go to court to fight it. Who is doing that over $5?? I guess you should hold up the line and get a receipt when traveling in Florida. Really, really makes me mad.

Original review: March 5, 2018

We received a bill for supposedly 1 year, we used 3 tolls daily, that makes $3 a day times 365 days (I know we don't use them every day, not Saturday or Sunday) but just for the sake of the numbers, so how much is that? $1095. Again I know that there are some weeks that I work or used the tolls only 3 days a week. So when we received a bill for $2000 dollars and started to compare some of the charges on days we did not work, they were still charging us the 3 tolls!!! We called and we were told they have different companies handling the tools so maybe we had more charges!!! Are you serious???

Now my registration is on hold, my tag is expired and they still saying that this is the amount we have to pay! How insane is this situation with the SunPass and tolls in Miami Dade, it feels like we are being robbed by our government and force to pay what we don't owe. Why is it that we have these tolls and our expressways are not even working, there is construction all over and the traffic is horrible, so tell me why do we pay for these tolls just to be in traffic for hours and on top of that we are robbed plain and simple!

They double post tolls, repeat days charge even if you don't pass by the tolls the days you are not working, come on. We are trying to make a living and it is hard as it is, to have to pay $2000 dollars of fictitious tolls! I don't know what to do, I can't pay this amount and they won't even review the info of the repeated tolls showing in our account. So mad that our county and officials are letting these people ripoff many drivers who sadly need to use the expressways in Miami. I hope the Media, news or someone expose these crooks and for this mafia to be held accountable for their crimes. Desperate family man in Miami.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

DO NOT USE THE EXPRESSWAY EVER!!! Doesn't matter if it's 40 cents or $40 or if you even paid it off, you will be paying at least 3x's more. These are 5 different agencies who DO NOT UPDATE THEIR INFO, RECYCLE CONSUMER INFORMATION and you WILL be paying more than once. I have been given 3 different bills (all the same amount, down to the cent) by three "different agencies" that are FDOT Expressway collectors. They have threatened to suspend my license and stop my registration if I do not pay this for A FOURTH TIME!

6 months ago when I went to renew my registration, I was told that I had to pay or my registration couldn't be renewed. I knew I had already paid them but I had been at the DMV for 3 hours and just wanted it to be over. When I did finally pay, I was told this would not affect me again, all of my delinquent tolls have been paid, and my registration was finally released.

I work from home outside of Tampa so there is no reason for me to go there, except in special cases (which are rare) when I have to make a drop at a client's home. I did this a few weeks ago and unwittingly got onto the expressway. Now, all of the sudden MY DELINQUENT FEES THAT I HAVE ALREADY PAID OFF ARE BACK!!! Same amount down to the cent from a brand new agency! What a coincidence! Just do yourself a favor and, not only don't take the expressway, just don't come to this mosquito-ridden, money-grubbing, morally bankrupt state. Thanks Rick Scott, we can always count on you to empty our pockets and take food out of our children's mouths!??

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I was sent to collections over 48 cents... The only times SunPass tried to reach out to me was once by mail to a 3 year outdated address (which I will admit I should have changed, but honestly thought it was updated per my vehicle registration) and 1 email which they can't even prove they sent to me. Then I was sent to collections for $54.48 ($45 fee from SunPass and $9 fee from collections). Collections didn't even get the chance to reach out to me about this as I had contacted SunPass for my fiancé since the transponder wasn't working and we assumed a battery was dead. Now my 790 credit score will be dropping by 100+ points, all over 48 cents? Really SunPass? Is that too great of a fee for you to just write off? Now you've long term-affected my buying and borrowing future for a balance less than a candy bar. No doubt I will be getting my fiancé an E Pass now and will make sure that SunPass never get another dime from me.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

We traveled through Orlando to Miami area during the Christmas, paid countless times whenever we saw a toll station. But I still received a toll invoice document back home around mid-January. As the document was accidentally lost, I called the SunPass customer service. The first agent told me the toll is $20 somewhat, which does not match the amount on the doc letter I got by mail ($2.5). So I made it clear to him that I want my document ID and account no. so that I can review the doc online and pay it. He provided me with the account no. I entered it on my computer right away but the page said not found.

Then I asked if he had the document ID, he said all he had is the account no. Not knowing what to do, I asked him to hold on for a few seconds and let me re-enter the information. He became very impatient and kept repeating he will get me offline within 2 minutes (I am 100% sure no more than 30s passed). No further information or solutions he tried to offer after I told him I was not able the see the document even I typed in the account no. he gave. Obviously, he did not care a thing about assisting the customer to solve their problem and just wanted to get rid of us.That attitude and the unwillingness to do his job completely pissed me off.

I called again because ridiculously there's no other way I can review the toll document. The second agent told me I couldn't login with the account no. because the information hasn't been updated in the system yet. But how could that even happen? I received it by mail two weeks ago. Again, the agent did not have any solutions and fell silent. I said, "what I can do is to sit and wait for the doc to arrive by mail probably in Feb?" She said, "yep." Besides how they charge you as a scam(you never know why you still get a toll no matter how carefully you make sure you go through the toll stations), their customer service is the worst. I don't even know why they set up so called "customer service" if they don't really want to assist their customers. The whole system is poorly operated just to charge you money.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

As most others have noted, this seems to be a big scam the state of Florida is running. Bills come left and right for tolls, most of which aren't valid AND many are duplicates that aren't sent as such. Oh then, you have the ones that don't come as a bill at all and instead go straight to collections. Had collections bill come and not once had that been previously billed or given the opportunity to have it be paid. To add to that, all bills have been paid also, so there should be NO collections bill, period. It's a serious scam they're running because there's literally no way to deal with these idiots and yet if you don't pay...even if you don't truly owe anything, they can take your registration and even license. It's really unreal. I hope at some point a class action lawsuit is started, because they'll have millions in on it!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Sending numbers of letters on a class A truck which I have never driven neither in Florida. First, one took around a year resolved by finally the company sends in a letter that the company identifies wrong plate number. I called CSR numbers of time and I wrote an email to the company. And it took a year. Call Florida police and police has excellent customer service. CSR needs to send to a Florida police station to get some training. This year, the company did that again. I need to contact higher up like the head of Florida Transportation and Governor.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I am living in France and I need a help. I was in Miami the 6th of September to 10th. I rent a car and I accepted to be charged for 4 days SUNPASS. But when I took the road I saw that the governor of Florida was cancelled all tolls because the hurricane. I returned to the agency and the agent said to me that I will not be charge for that because he didn't know that it was cancelled. Now the agency are saying: the Sunpass sticker is set up (placed at the windshield) which causes and automatically charged with the amount that you already prepaid. Is it right? How something can be charged if it (Sunpass) wasn't work during theses days? I would like to know if the agency is lying. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I try to check how much money I have used on my transponder but the page never works. I try on my Notebook. Doesn't work. Try on my cell phone. Doesn't work. Try different browser. Same thing, never works. The customer service close at 7 pm so now you can't do nothing.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I was a customer of Bright House back in 2015, I was charged $99 plus tax for internet services that they only charged $35 for... Can't even understand the level of anger about this. Fought back and forth about that only to get one credited bill and then upsold to TV and internet for $99 but the bill was never ever that either... Bill was $145 after taxes and fees. I couldn't keep up with calling every month for adjustments etc. So I closed out the account but kept the equipment. Called to get the understanding that disputing the bill but keeping the equipment with the intention to come back.

2017 I move and come back. I called. Explained the arrangement I had with keeping the equipment. They said we see your old bill etc will credit the equipment since you coming back. Turned in the TV portion of the equipment but is currently using the internet box. Promo with Spectrum was as promised. Was happy... Come home today they said I had an old bill so I need to pay over $300 to restore service. My current account mind you is paid on time and in full. No mention ever of anyone of this old bill business. In fact my first bill on the new account doesn't even say I ever owed anything previously. NEVER once mentioned I owed anything over and beyond the credits given for returned/ in use equipment.

They said there's not ENOUGH notes to determine what the details I was disputing or offers I was saying. So because I didn't call back after EVERY call to check for notes on my account I am held responsible for an old bill I already disputed with a company that doesn't even exist anymore. Told by 4 different managers there's nothing to be done. I switched providers as I'm on the phone with them and they say that's my option. NON caring company that could care less about any promise that was made or broken... Don't believe ANYTHING that anyone tells you even if you have it in writing.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I was charged $.075 and in additional $2.50 Administrative Charge for passing through a SunPass toll when my E-pass was low on funds. People who have E-Passes should not be charged because we already have an account that SunPass accepts. I will do anything to let the media knows about my issue and other people issues.

Not sure about SunPass Prepaid Toll Program?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Utility Companies for you.

SunPass Prepaid Toll Program Company Information

www.sunpass.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business