2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

Florida

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.13/5

SunPass Prepaid Toll Program Reviews

Original review: April 17, 2020

Beware...when you open a Sunpass account, you must read ALL fine print and make sure you select: "Receive Statements Electronically" or you will be charged $1.50 for a monthly statement (hardcopy) to be sent to you...after this happened, I notified Sunpass to ask what charge was and was told that I did not select paperless selection when opened account...after requesting adjustment to charge due to new user and requesting forgiveneess for oversight, I was told charge would NOT be reversed as mailing already occurred...the mailing didn't not cost $1.50 for sure - this is not appropriate in my opinion...extremely poor customer service - beware!

Original review: April 9, 2020

For something that should be a seamless process, it is a nightmare for most Floridians. Sunpass will overcharge, double charge, and send you a bill with a photo of a car that is not your car. According to the newspaper, they have even sent bills to people who have died years ago but yet their corpses are still racking up tolls through Sunpass. They are unreasonable and rude and they defend their actions by saying they only make 10,000 mistakes every year and they think that number is acceptable. Florida deserves a better toll system. Sunpass is not capable of accurately handling the job and should be replaced by a different system. I can't reclaim the hours of my life that I have spent on the phone with them over their mistakes. I look forward to the day when they are replaced.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 11, 2020

4 years ago I stopped using my Sunpass transponder because I thought that I was being constantly overcharged. I paid off what I owed and threw it away. Months later I received a bill. They explained I had incurred more tolls that I hadn't yet been billed for at the time of my last payment so I paid those too. I thought I was done with sunpass. A few days ago I received an Mdx toll enforcement invoice which as usual I paid for, but first I was too lazy to grab the bill so I logged in to sunpass by redirect from mdx and searched for my bill by plate number. Boy was I shocked to see an amount due for over $4,000!

This made me search frantically for the actual paper bill and when I found it, I logged in this time using my account number on the bill and this time my balance was only $230 which I paid online. I'm frightened to think that when I log in using only my plate number, that I owe $4,000 however I've never received a bill for this amount. I'm afraid the amount is growing on its own and I'm also afraid to call. I have been paying all of my toll by plate bills, why would I owe sunpass?

Original review: March 5, 2020

I had a SunPass account and had it linked to my debt card thru Easy Pay. I have been charged over 100 dollars for tolls that weren't mine. When I spoke to customer service and a manager I was told there was nothing they could for me. Somehow the wrong license plate got linked to my account. Even though they have a picture of the car and the license plate that wasn't mine they still won't refund my money and charge the right person. I don't understand how they can do that to me.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I purchased a SunPass (suction cup transponder cost $20 & I put $20 on the account) when I got into FL this past Feb. First, the registration process is confusing. It was the weekend so no customer support was available. I finally figured it out that you didn't have to leave credit card info so your account would automatically renew. You could place a one time amt on it & then replenish as needed. When I pressed submit the page said you transponder is ready to use. I went through a couple of gates & the transponder read. About 15 hrs to 16 hrs had elapsed. I got to a couple of gates owned by E-Pass & it didn't read. I asked SunPass if they could more $3.90 of my $16 on my account to pay these. They said they couldn't because my transponder was activated less that 24 hrs. So I had to call E-Pass and pay by credit card $3.90.

To all people planning to visit Florida & use its toll roads. All toll roads have pay by plate tolls meaning you can use them & they will send you a letter with around $.40 to $.50 cents added for processing. Out of my $20 & the addition of $3.90, I spent around $7.00 in tolls. That may have increased to $8.50 or $9.00 with surcharges. This didn't cover the cost of the transponder again which was $20. The permanent one is around $40 out of the vending machines. If you must get a toll pass get an E-Pass. They are FREE. People at E-Pass also appear to be friendlier. Just request it to be sent to you well before your trip.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPass Prepaid Toll Program?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

I need information, you folks won't give any. So I'm at a loss. I am a VietNam vet. I need information. Tavares to Lake Nona the only time I use the Toll Roads. ** is my mini SunPass, not on my car, because I don't trust you. You have shut me off, literally, 5 times. Please give me "useful" information!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

An unknown car was added without my consent to my account and I ended up paying about $60 on tolls for a car that it's not even mine. I called the customer service line to let them know what was going on, they said that unless I could show them the rental agreement for the vehicle proving it wasn't me who rented it there was nothing they could do about it. I told them there is no way I could show them the rental agreement since it wasn't me who rented this car. It is absolutely ridiculous how my account information was stolen and they do not want to help. I ended up paying 60$ on tolls for a car that wasn't rented by me or added to my account by me. The agents did not care or wanted to help at all. It is unbelievable that they could not do anything else to try to help me and refused to give me a refund. The worst experience of my life!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Called to ask about a unauthorized charge and they claim I set up autopay, if I had autopay, my account would not have a balance higher than 20 dollars, "autopay" is their way of going into anyone's account and do whatever they want, not the consumer's fault for not knowing how the system work on their end when asked to verify your name 10 times plus your, address, pin number, security questions etc etc. I feel bad for the reps getting paid minimum wage and acting like they hate their jobs.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Since they had that problem with their system over a year ago the billing department has been billing fictitious amounts to my SunPass online account. I have bogus charges popping up daily for traveling through a toll weeks prior. It's impossible to try and backtrack how this is happening. The answer I got from them is tolls take weeks to process. Really? When did that happen? I am ready to hire a lawyer and start a class action lawsuit. The sunpass system and FDOT owes people a lot of stolen monies and something needs to be done ASAP!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I switch to E-Pass end of August because Sunpass has been the worst nightmare possible. I replenish my own funds (because I have a family member where they took out $5,000 by mistake. Took them 2 months to return it) and when I go pass by a toll and my balance is negative (I replenish when I get home) they told me that they don't try to take money out of the account. They form an invoice and send it out, charging the full amount. So, what is the point of having an account with you? You have my license plate on file,you can't go back and take it out? So, I switched to E-pass, they offer a bigger discount and I don't have any problems with them at all.

I actually had a argument with a customer service representative from Sunpass saying that they have a bigger discount and that E-pass only offer a rebate after the 37th toll. I asked a E-pass customer service representative and he laughed and said that's not accurate at all. They offer the discount per toll. I do not recommend this company, for the lack of customer service and horrible system.

SunPass Prepaid Toll Program Company Information