1.00/5

Need a utility company?

Florida

165 SunPass Prepaid Toll Program Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

SunPass began charging me $30 a week for what they said were backdated charges. They have dates and times of toll charges when my car was parked as I had flown to Oregon for 10 days. They have me on routes in Leesburg at 5 am and on University when I am clocked in at my job. Sometimes 6 or 7 charges within minutes of each other when I don't use toll roads in my commute. Now I took my card off the autopay and the transponder completely out of my car and they are still racking up toll charges at the rate of $30 a week. They said they don't take video of my car going through tolls but refuse to remove any of the fake charges. They also will not close the account because it's now in a negative balance.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

SunPass website suck extra hard. Not able to make payments online, I'm taken to an error page with the message "This page is unavailable". What the ** is wrong with this company? I have other processes slowed down because of this.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I am a tourist who has visited the US several times and stayed for about 3 months each visit, I decided to purchase a vehicle and also a movable SunPass. I had to come back to my country but I didn't want to close my SunPass account since I thought I might use it whenever I went back. SunPass has been charging to my account tolls I have NOT used since I'm not driving my car because I'm NOT even in the USA!!

I've complained about 5 times now and they just close my case telling me the case seems to be resolved now on my account but they do NOTHING about it! I kept my account open so I could show proofs of the tolls and information, but they just kept replenishing my account, and now that I decided just to close. The account, not only they do not close it but also they don't give me the money left back. THIS IS DELINQUENCY. THEY ARE STEALING MONEY! BEWARE AND DON'T GET A SUNPASS EVER! From now on I'll pay my tolls cash if I ever come back to USA.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

There are 2 vehicles on my account that are not mine and I am being charged for their tolls. I contacted Sunpass and explained the situation and asked to be refunded for these charges. They replied by email a few days later saying that my complaints were not verified and my case was now closed. Meanwhile these vehicles tolls are still being charged to my account. I complained again and again. I got a reply stating we already told you your case is closed. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

They charged my SunPass for tolls it was physically impossible to be at with the timestamps provided. Tolls 30 mins apart but 1.5 hours in reality. They close tickets without even contacting. I asked for proof it was my vehicle since they had a problem with their tolls. (Billing 30 days later!) They couldn't provide me with anything! Lying scumbags rip people off and aren't accountable. There should be some sort of audit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPass Prepaid Toll Program?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I was charged double the toll amount by their system, not sure the exact reason but it was also showing that I was driving a 3 Axle vehicle which I did not. When I filed a dispute online, I got an email stating that I will receive a response within two days. It's been a month now and no answer. I had called as well to know when I will get the credit back, but the operator had no answer when I will get my credit back. I know the toll dollars are small figures but people need to check their account to see this type of activities. When I opened another request online, instead of fixing the issue, they closed the previous request just to get back at me. This is very unprofessional, VERY POOR customer service.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We had auto pay with this people and they were charging me $20 every single day and even 2 times a day. I was away from Friday 08/31 until Wednesday 09/5/18. Upon my return I was surprised that I had been charged $20 every day since I left and even after I canceled their services, they made me pay $80 for cancellation and another $20 the day after. After the cancellation I started paying my tolls at the booth. To my surprise even though I had paid at the booth they are charging my tag for having gone through the toll plaza. I spoke to the supervisor named Kathlin who would not speak to me and hung up the phone while I am trying to figure out why they are double charging me for something I had already paid. It seems to me that they are surely taking advantage of unsuspecting drivers and if I had not checked my statement they surely would have continued charging my account for more than what should have been.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Cancelled our account and it was verified by SunPass on 7-3-2018 and now over two months later still no refund of the funds we had in our account! We called and all they said is that they did not know why!!! The Florida Government is unable to do a professional job no matter what. Rick Scott is to blame. SunPass wants their exorbitant toll fees but WILL NOT REFUND someone who no longer needs the service. This is totally ILLEGAL!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Outrageously high toll fees and overcharging my account - I have been using SunPass for about system for about 6 months and for the first 4 months it was going good. The last two months they have overcharging me and every other day taking money out of my automatic payment account, I had to change it from automatic because it was ridiculous how much they were taking out. I have read of many other customers having the same issues.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

If I could give SunPass as a company minus 10 stars, I would! They overcharged my credit card $125.00 and I had to go through the trouble of blacking out charges on my credit card statement (other than the SunPass charges), scanning them and emailing them to SunPass. They then told me this was insufficient to show the SunPass charges and said I should send the complete statement!!! I told them that was ALL I had showing what SunPass charged me, and my other charges were NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!! She then told me I could "try" faxing it in or go to a SunPass office, which is a two hour drive for me. I told her this was insanity and I should not have to spend my time, money and gas to recover money that they took from me. My next step is to call the Florida Attorney General's Office, Consumer Protection and see what they suggest.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

SunPass is charging me 175.00 in tolls as an error cause the was supposedly on a update. First they started taking more money from my credit card. When I finally noticed in 3 months they withdrew over 340.00 which I never even used in 7 months, I called multiple times. 1st I left my number to call cause the wait time was 62 minutes, 2nd I waited more than an hour. Finally when I had a rep on the phone she couldn't hear me, told me there was a problem with the system, I then called back a week later. Was on hold for hour and 15 minutes. I spoke to a customer service rep that could not explain the situation and told me the system is down and, "You have to pay no matter what," I told her that it is not the customer's fault that the system has overcharged thousands of customers.

All she can say is that I had to pay and everybody else that there was a big problem and there was a high volume of calls. When I seen that they were taking money out of my card I canceled the EZpay and let the account stay at the 175.00 I supposely owed and will try not to use SunPass. I really think they should get sued. Customer service is horrible due to the fact that these reps have to deal with this situation that is not their fault and lie to millions of customers. The state should cancel the contract with SunPass. SunPass makes Florida look like they are a rip-off state. I refuse to pay for something I didn't use and by being a customer since 2011 I think it's time to look elsewhere for toll service.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

It took 37 minutes to answer the phone and I have been online with them for 57 minutes to activate a portable transponder. They could not activate it and asked me to retune it to Publix and get another one. I wish I can use my E-ZPass from Virginia. It is very easy as it says. SunPass should call themselves HILLPASS. I do not recommend dealing with this company if you don't have to and if you do I feel sorry for you.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I had been charged over $350 in the last two months, I have automatic withdrawals every time my account gets to 20 and every time I check my account says it’s -21 and obviously keeps charging me $25 daily. Also tolls that I never go through for almost $1.91 each. I was 2 hour on hold and after the lady in the phone keep arguing that my account was only charged 5 times instead of the 18 times I actually showing her my bank statements, she hanged up on us and nothing was resolved.

I had to dispute those transactions with my bank but they have been still charging me even though I blocked them. Obviously they have been hacked and most of their transactions are going somewhere else. Even though they aren’t aware of this extra payments someone needs to do something and make them liable for their failure of keeping our account information safe. Attached shows the charges they received and pic two shows the fraudulent charges totaling $450 (two months period). Unspeakable!!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

SunPass has been taking out money this month August 2018. I had trusted them to be taking out what is due, but I’m to the point where there is just no way I’ve used 800.00 worth of tolls in the month of July. It’s not possible. They have shotgunned 20 debits of 40.00 over a 30 day period. When they were at 200.00 around the 6th of August I called them to ask what is going on they said they were making up for no charges in July. I was ok. I will look over my account and do the math. Well this past two weeks they took out an additional 600.00.

I tried calling them today. The wait time is 163 minutes so I’m guessing this isn’t just happening to me. The real problem is I can’t look over my statement with any accuracy being I’m not seeing what the current charges are. I can only see from July backwards. I called my bank and had them stop allowing SunPass to take any more money from my account. Until they fix their system they can expect to not get any money from me. I would be happy to jump in on a class action lawsuit with the rest of the state.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Not to mention the high pricing of tolls, that it is actually increasing more and more, this company should definitely redesign their policies. They started a supposed update of the system, and it has become a disgrace for most residents in Miami (and I suppose than not only for us). The toll they did not get during the re-structuring period they are getting them now, but how do I know they are being fair to me? No one explained that me as a customer, which could have been through a simple letter. Right now I have been on the phone for 1 hour waiting to talk to someone and nothing. They get more money and more money, and we just sit here waiting for the next charge.

Such a big company should have been ready for the change, otherwise should not have done it. But I understand, that is the best way to justify a more expensive service. This is abusive to people, and on top of all this a shameful customer service that does not care about the time you waste trying to reach someone to get explanations about all this. Definitely a great company to make you feel stressed and mad, and inexplicable service in a country like ours. God protect America from this company!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I have a rental company and SunPass was having problems with the system. When the customers returned the car there where no charges of tolls so I didn't collect money from them. 2 month after SunPass is billing me for all these transaction. Can I file or hire anyone to help me prevent these charges.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I drive the toll daily for work and get reimbursed for work. Since the system upgrade, really downgrade, I'm unable to retrieve a statement for June and July. Customer Service simply apologizes and says they are working on it. Well, when you've finished working on it, then I'll work on getting a reimbursement from my employer, and then work on making restitution for the ACTUAL tolls used. Horrid!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Since the end of July, I have been charged 7 times to replenish my transponder. SunPass has an issue with their maintenance process and the customers are being affected not the business. You are affecting not just me but many other with these actions and eventually a class action lawsuit will happen. STOP with the CHARGES... at the end of the day you are the only ones benefiting from these actions. Many people live on a budget and your actions are hurting those on a budget. I have had to stop using the highway to get to work until the fees stop coming in. There is no way to stop the replenishing and they are happening every 2 to 3 days. STOP this... This is not the way to treat consumers who rely on the highways to get to work and home. Mr. Scott do something. If there was a way to give a negative score this issue would receive a -10 at least.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I take the toll road home after work Monday-Friday. I see I am being charged multiple time per day and even days that I don't use the toll road. This is ridiculous! When is this going to be fixed! At this rate I'll be putting money on my pass everyday to cover all the multiple charges or take a different route home. I have been using SunPass for a few years now and this is the 1st time anything like this has happened.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

On June 19th I called and purchased a transponder from this company. They charged my Amex card $22 for this item. I was told by a customer service agent I would receive the item in 5 business days. Ten day later I called again. One person said it's been delayed. The other a supervisor said it was shipped on June 26th and I should get it any day. Called again July 5 and I was given the same runaround by multiple members of their call center. On July 13th I called and was told that it been shipped and it should be there any day. I opened a dispute on their online page and a few days later the dispute was closed because "the issue has been resolved". On July 27th I spoke to three people in their call center who gave me three different stories.

I finally got an office manager Shelia who told me that I will have the item by the following Thursday. She was going to personally see to it that shipping gets it in the mail once our conversation ended. I told her I'd ring and ask for her on Aug 3rd if I haven't received it. It is now August 6th, I rang Sunpass today and was placed on hold for almost 90 minutes. Once I finally got a representative I asked to speak with Shelia and was told that she's there but it's not possible for me to speak to her. I left my number and still have not received a call. It has now been 7 weeks since my card was charged and I was promised a transponder by this company. The only thing I've gotten in return is empty promises and an upset spouse who has had her commute extended 25 mins more than it should currently be.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I started paying $15.00 a month, now I'm paying $75.00 for the same path. My car was at the shop for one week and they have the guts to charge me for those

days. I am going to write to the Mayor, the Governor, the Senator because there are thousands of people in the same situation. We need to know who is behind this and that are taking advantage of all of us.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

This is my first month with SunPass and I’ve been charged over $120!!! I keep getting a new receipt every 2-3 days charging me $20 every time and I’ve only been driving to work and back which is very close to my house! I hope they get shut down. This has got to be the biggest scam in the world!!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Wow. That is some shady action they have at SunPass. Screwed up a system for the last couple months and last night we get hit for all the toll payments from June. I got hit with 2 replenishment amounts for $20 each and of course this overdraws my bank acct. And since it's 2 payments I get nailed with 2 overdrafts also $20 a piece. Spoke to SunPass and will they help? Of course not. Well done, scumbags.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

They overcharge my account on 3 different occasion and never refund my money, I closed my account. My car has been down for more than a week and they keep charging me without refund, they are thieves.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

In The past Month SunPass Prepaid Toll Program has drawn off my bank account one week $ 40 dollars. Something impossible. Can you guys help on this because there is a lot of people in South Florida this the same problem.

Original review: July 26, 2018

All I will say is I am calling the team of investigators to help them go after these crooks for all of us. Endured SunPass's giant overhaul and mess they have made of everything. Then we are told everything is fixed and back up in July start using site as usual. Ok. Put my card # in system so I can replenish my card as needed. Set my low balance to $10. This company then proceeds to debit $10 PER DAY from my account!!! PER DAY! Even if I haven't used the toll roads I use on average $2-$5 per week. I have disputed the charges with my bank and got a new card. This is insane and I hope the govt sues the hell out of this third party company. I am going to stay off the toll roads I guess now. Ridiculous. Scam artists. DO NOT PUT YOUR BANK INFO INTO THEIR SYSTEM. THEY WILL DRAIN YOUR ACCT!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I've been trying for 2 months to register in the system. After reading all the posts, I'm glad I can't and I will stay far away. When I first moved to the area, I noticed all the maps route you toward 589 in Tampa. I ended up on toll road all the time and bills came left and right that I had rightly suspected I paid. After not being able to register due to HORRIBLE website and NO customer service via phone. I'm done. I'll ride the DMB.

Original review: June 18, 2018

The inability to operate the system correctly is shocking. After several days of the website not being able to function the operators that help with customers service are also unable to help customers. Weeks after waiting for the system to be updated or serviced still we have to do more waiting because the system is not working. The Department of Transportation receives MILLIONS of dollars directly from the government PLUS some more MILLIONS from drivers PAYING THE TOLLS and it is still not working right. Who on earth is pocketing the money and not doing the job??

Original review: June 9, 2018

So I keep getting the same bill for 6.99 in the mail with a late fee, I paid a toll on 5/17/18, it’s on my bank statement. On the same day I paid another toll was issued for the same price with a late fee, but my car hasn’t worked and it’s been grounded, so how am I being billed for something that I never used. Is there an attorney or lawyer that’s looks into this? I don’t plan to stay silent about this issue, I work hard for my money and am borderline poor, I’m sick of this extortion!

Original review: June 6, 2018

I received an email from a CC that I had never used & never given out the # to anyone, so when I received an email saying that I had a minimum payment due, I knew something was wrong. In checking it out, not only did I have a large charge on there from SiriusXM, but also a very small, yet fraudulent charge from this SunPass. They are in Florida - I live in California. I've never even been to Florida. I tried calling them, but their system is down. Imagine that.

SunPass Prepaid Toll Program Company Information