1.12/5
  • 1 star
Based on 121 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 4, 2017

124 SunPass Prepaid Toll Program Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I am living in France and I need a help. I was in Miami the 6th of September to 10th. I rent a car and I accepted to be charged for 4 days SUNPASS. But when I took the road I saw that the governor of Florida was cancelled all tolls because the hurricane. I returned to the agency and the agent said to me that I will not be charge for that because he didn't know that it was cancelled. Now the agency are saying: the Sunpass sticker is set up (placed at the windshield) which causes and automatically charged with the amount that you already prepaid. Is it right? How something can be charged if it (Sunpass) wasn't work during theses days? I would like to know if the agency is lying. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I try to check how much money I have used on my transponder but the page never works. I try on my Notebook. Doesn't work. Try on my cell phone. Doesn't work. Try different browser. Same thing, never works. The customer service close at 7 pm so now you can't do nothing.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I was a customer of Bright House back in 2015, I was charged $99 plus tax for internet services that they only charged $35 for... Can't even understand the level of anger about this. Fought back and forth about that only to get one credited bill and then upsold to TV and internet for $99 but the bill was never ever that either... Bill was $145 after taxes and fees. I couldn't keep up with calling every month for adjustments etc. So I closed out the account but kept the equipment. Called to get the understanding that disputing the bill but keeping the equipment with the intention to come back.

2017 I move and come back. I called. Explained the arrangement I had with keeping the equipment. They said we see your old bill etc will credit the equipment since you coming back. Turned in the TV portion of the equipment but is currently using the internet box. Promo with Spectrum was as promised. Was happy... Come home today they said I had an old bill so I need to pay over $300 to restore service. My current account mind you is paid on time and in full. No mention ever of anyone of this old bill business. In fact my first bill on the new account doesn't even say I ever owed anything previously. NEVER once mentioned I owed anything over and beyond the credits given for returned/ in use equipment.

They said there's not ENOUGH notes to determine what the details I was disputing or offers I was saying. So because I didn't call back after EVERY call to check for notes on my account I am held responsible for an old bill I already disputed with a company that doesn't even exist anymore. Told by 4 different managers there's nothing to be done. I switched providers as I'm on the phone with them and they say that's my option. NON caring company that could care less about any promise that was made or broken... Don't believe ANYTHING that anyone tells you even if you have it in writing.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I was charged $.075 and in additional $2.50 Administrative Charge for passing through a SunPass toll when my E-pass was low on funds. People who have E-Passes should not be charged because we already have an account that SunPass accepts. I will do anything to let the media knows about my issue and other people issues.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Traveled to Florida, St. Pete/Tampa area 1 month ago for vacation. When going from St. Pete to Tampa we paid tolls numerous times, never missing or skipping a toll booth. A month later received a letter from SunPass stating we had unpaid toll transactions. As soon as I the bill I realized or felt the whole system is a scam or ripoff as the exact same thing happened a few years ago when we were in the same area & received a bill saying we had "skipped" a toll, again showing pic of vehicle and license plate. Paid the toll at the time but I knew we had skipped nothing, and paid all tolls.

Called this time and rep. said some roads have no toll booths and it was "normal" to get the bill in the mail; I told her there was no roads with a sign indicating that and that we had stopped and paid ALL tolls where a toll was indicated. After reading all the reviews, my belief that this whole system is a huge money making scam for SunPass and Florida DOT was confirmed. Everyone should file complaints with the attorney general's office as I plan to do and/or if living in Florida, contact their local state rep.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPass Prepaid Toll Program?

Original review: July 21, 2017

Here's a good one... I got a bill for a toll infraction the other day. It was addressed to my deceased Uncle that pass away in 2014. The photo on the bill was of a late 70's car which I don't own, and it was on a trailer. You couldn't read the tag number. The tag number they had was something weird and didn't match any tag I own. I had to call and explain that the name on the bill was my deceased Uncle, and the car/tag in question is not mine, plus that I have not left my hometown in several years, so I could not have drove through a toll. Spent 10 minutes on the phone with a rep. I was told it would take 7 to 10 business days to figure out. How the hell can something like this happen? Maybe a fake tag created a glitch in their computer system and I got the business end of it! What a joke! By the way; the bill is for a minor $4.61. Sunpass needs to fix their messed up system! IT DOES NOT WORK!

Original review: July 6, 2017

I purchased a car in another state and it was delivered to me on Feb. 15th 2017. The car had a temporary plate and so I put my SunPass on the car. That SunPass works as long as it has money on it no matter what vehicle it on. However, instead of MDX charging my SunPass each time I used the car they charged me manually but have a photo of the car and the TAG. When the temporary tag expired, both SunPass and MDX was charging me electronically and manually instead of charging my SunPass.

When I took it up with SunPass, they claimed that someone went into my account and took the tag off the account. But I was still being charged by both SunPass and MDX on the same day from January to present. When I called today regarding my concerns, not only the rep gave her supervisor the phone, she did not have the common courtesy or professional etiquette to informed me that she was turning the call over to her supervisor. That tells me the quality mindset of the people working at SunPass. I don't know what preposterous logic they were using but neither the Rep nor the Supervisor had a clue to what was going on. I eventually figured it out and it had nothing to do with anyone taking anything off the account or the tag. It was their fault. They have idiots working at both MDX and SunPass.

Original review: July 3, 2017

I constantly get charged $25 from SunPass. I call them and they can't tell me why it's happening. On my bank app I always see that charge and I don't even use the highway but maybe once a month and I'm getting charged all this money. Can someone explain to me what's happening? I wish they would bring back the toll booth. These machine are garbage.

Original review: June 7, 2017

If there was a toll booth we stopped at it, unless there is a stealth booth between the Orlando Airport and Sanford, FL on a day when I was not in Orlando. There is no way to dispute it, and it's easier just to pay it. Florida has one hell of a scam going here.

Original review: May 4, 2017

I found out that my $2 toll got sent to collections although I had not gotten a bill. I complained to Attorney General and got a call from an amazingly helpful person who sorted it out and said she would train her staff based on listening to my calls with them. I was given a refund for unsubstantiated charges and AM TOTALLY SATISFIED and IMPRESSED by SunPass! They probably rolled out their system too early and thankfully are committed to fixing problems. Call them! Ask for supervisor if needed. I got taken care of.

Original review: April 20, 2017

I have NO option when it comes to tolls in South Florida. This state has only a few highways and if I need to get on the turnpike which is about 3 times a year, I get fined for not having a transponder. Seems to me there should be at least 1 other option for those who can not afford a transponder (living paycheck to paycheck) and those who hardly use the highways. Instead we are penalized and charged a processing fee. This clearly shows there is no consideration for this other group of people. It would be great to have a solution to this. This All or Nothing shows only 1 side. The side of the $. Let be a people state also and show a bit of concern for those who can't afford a transponder or those of us whom it isn't worth or can't afford to spend 35$ on a transponder and 10$ fill up. Thank you.

Original review: April 10, 2017

In March of 2017, I took the Veterans Expressway from Crystal River to Tampa. I paid all the tolls at the toll booths by cash. Here it is April 10, 2017, and I received a bill from these for a toll they said I didn't pay. They said this was an electronic toll on the expressway itself and not an exit or entrance. There was no notification of this "electronic toll pass" on the expressway. This is pure highway robbery and the only difference is that these people are not wearing masks like they supposedly did in the old west. I have a friend who works for federal law enforcement and he is checking on this to see if the state of Florida can be held legally responsible for this contracted company. More updates later.

Original review: April 2, 2017

I have an old pickup truck in my backyard that has not moved in 3 years. Tag has been dead for two years. I got a notice of tool due. The pic on the notice is not my vehicle. Not even close. The tag in pic is unreadable. I called the number on the notice and explained this. They took my tag away from me. Pay up or else they keep adding to charges. They called me a liar. That it was my vehicle in the pic. I went to tag office. They told me it was not their problem. This is EXTORTION and guilty til proven innocent but they are the government so I am closed off proving. Does anyone know who I can go to? I have pics to prove truck has been sitting for 3 years and the tag bolts are rusted on I had to rip the tag off the truck.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I noticed that I wasn't being charged for my SunPass account so called the 888 number to follow up. There were two accounts - one had been sent to collections, the other was in good standing. The rep explained that collections had to be paid first, then the account in good standing would be discounted. Fine! Paid the collections account and called back after a week to settle the other account. The rep gave me three different amount $61, $47 & $50. There is no credibility with this company! It'll get done when I renew my license. With all the technology we have, WHY doesn't a national toll system exist?!?!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

Apparent I have added a rental car to my account for a day more than a year ago for a 1-day rental. Turns out either I typed expiration year 2060 by mistake or their IVR system misunderstood 2016 as 2060. In short, I have been paying for a 1-day car rentals SunPass for over a year. Their system has no checks and balances as no one will rent a car for 46 years. They refused to refund me a dime.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

For nearly a year, I have had to provide SunPass with my address so they could send me the bills monthly. They have always had trouble with mailing my invoices so that I may pay them on time. Because of their incompetence, I have had to pay for accumulated bills multiple times, leaving me at a financial disadvantage. For months I have had to call them to provide the same address I have been living at for about 5 years. Their system will not keep the address and as a result, I would not receive the documents to make the payments on time, leaving me to pay additional fees. They have charged me an accumulated $214.00 without sending me invoices and/or placing the invoices on my account to review. I only have invoices from 2013-2015 from my previous car. How am I to know what has to be paid if I'm not receiving any documents by mail or the correct information in my account online. This is a scam without a doubt.

Their customer service rep explained to me that when you register online, you would no longer receive invoices by mail. The supervisor then came on and explained that I should still receive invoices by mail even if I did register online. Someone please help me and give me the truth!! Inaccurate information on their website!! False information provided by staff!! Inability to send the necessary documents to the customer's address because their faulty system cannot keep it on file!!! For all I know, the charges can be false!!! They themselves cannot prove otherwise. My advice: contact an attorney for immediate legal advice or contact the media to expose the company.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I just received a bill for $767 that dates back to 2013 through 2015! Have a SunPass account, and have still had to pay bills they send me even with that account. This bill is all for one specific toll booth on 417 in Orlando. There is nothing more on my bill. The sad truth here is you have to pay. There is no option. They hold your registration & license over your head. How can they bill you so long after the fact? This system needs a real overhaul.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

Toll by plate is a giant scam. They claim invoices are sent out monthly but then why did I get 10 months of tolls at once and the worst part is there is no payment option other than just pay in full. Don't know about you but I don't have 700$ lying around.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

I have read many of the reviews about the SunPass FL process regarding billing and to my surprise I am not alone. I tried renewing my tag and was advice to contact two different #s by the DMV as a restriction was place on my renewal due to an outstanding. Now, in ALL expressways and toll areas where there are NO booths a pretty big sign shows stating "We will bill you" which means one will receive correspondence to make a payment. I was told by a representative at the numbers I had to call there is a combine balance of $663.00 for my tag. This includes Tolls from 2014 til 12/2/16. Now let me back up a little, BOTH agents told me the address the correspondence was send to was NOT the one on my license. It was an address I lived in 9 YEARS ago! Keep in mind, I have had my vehicle since 2014 AND renew my tags since then without ANY knowledge of this matter from ANYONE at SunPass.

I question, "How come, been that my assumption is the SunPass communicates with the DMV, was my address not updated since I update my license in 2013." Both agents advice "We do not know." After like any human being I freak out due to one not knowing about this issue AT all and two the ridiculous amount one of the individuals I spoke to explain I could do a dispute thru their website with all the documents showing my address. Forward 45 minutes later and I get a very suspicious phone call from a rep named Brian from area code 561 who proceeds to explain to me how the previous representative had given incorrect information because they (magically) now show the bill were send to the correct and current address.

Again, I flipped out and asked for a supervisor. This time I spoke to a guy named Angel ** who not only made me more upset he pretty much treated like a criminal. The one question no one I spoke to today could answer was why was my address never updated. This man had the audacity to yelled at me at tell me "The restriction cannot be remove but if you pay half of the balance we can lifted." My issue with this nightmare is how do they bill me TWO years later, insult my intelligence trying to tell me the correct address was used when it wasn't and tell me there is nothing that can be done but if I pay half of it then you can all while not answering ANY of my questions.

I am seeking legal assistance because I will not pay any of the late or administrative fees for an error I didn't commit. The Tolls are about .79/.85 so how it add up to $663 is as baffling to me as it is to you trust me. What lesson you can learned by reading this? The same one I did this morning, the Sunpass FL is A JOKE and a HUGE SCAM. They do not have the correct information to bill you properly or correctly and will be quick to cause you the utmost aggravation you will ever experience in your adult life.

Lastly, after all this phone calls were done. I logged in to submit my dispute and not only did the representative that I had spoke to or supervisor had updated my address as I very kindly advice AND the email address I offer for a itemized statement was incorrect. Please know I alpha-spelled my email to them as well as my address. If anyone has an hour information, tips or additional suggestions please feel free to share.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2016

How can SunPass fine me a violation, while I have EPass auto-replenish and at the time I supposedly committed the toll violation, I had money in my EPass account? It's scam where for certain spots they don't take EPass, charge for violation with an added $2.50 fee, and put a stop on tag/title renewals. They offer to prevent this, by instead getting a SUNPASS auto-replenish account. So basically they are trying to steal all EPass holders by fining them unjustifiably.

This is beyond unfair to us consumers and in my opinion all Sunpass pay-by-toll should be reimbursed to those who paid these, outstanding tickets should be removed, and they should not have the power to not allow one to renew our titles, which exposes us to added chances of getting pulled over by ridiculous excuses, knowing we either have to allow selves to get scammed and pay up or while fighting this and be able to renew, get slapped with expired tag and registration fees. Seems FDOT has nifty scam going on, and they have to be stopped and exposed. The sooner the better! Guess I cannot drive Christmas weekend now, because though I have zero tickets showing anywhere, I cannot renew my tag/title due to bogus, perhaps even double fined fees, thanks to Sunpass.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

So I received a bill in the mail for almost 85 dollars for a car that is not mine, has never been mine, and the license plate has never ever been in my name. I called the rep told me to call dmv to provide documents that it is not my plate. After calling the DMV they told me I would have to find the docs on their website and PAY to fill them out and wait 2-3 weeks for toll by plate to receive them. I was not going to pay for something that is not my fault. The car picture in the bill was a Honda civic and I drive a Mazda so I called Honda, the car and plate have never ever been in my name and Honda has no idea why I was the one billed and that I should call toll by plate again to tell you to update your records which another agent put in an esc and I have to wait 5-7 bus days. The car and plate are my ex-husband's car and plate number how my information was obtained to bill me on someone else's car is beyond me.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

We travelled to Destin from NC on 10/22/16, crossing the toll bridge on SR 293 at 11:34 am, paying the $4.00 passenger car toll prior to crossing the bridge over to Destin. We left Destin at 6:15 am 10/29/16, again paying the $4.00 passenger car toll at the toll booth. Lo and behold, we get a letter from our car leasing finance company, along with Invoices from the FDOT, with a photo of our license plate stating we owe $6.50 for unpaid tolls!! The lease finance company paid the toll, now we have to roll that into our next car payment. It's not the money, $6.50 won't break us, it's the principle of being ripped off!! Next year, if we return to Destin like we planned, we will NOT be taking the toll road. I would rather go 100 miles out of our way to screw the Florida DOT out of that money rather than go through this again.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

I drive thru the i95 express lane 5 days a week because I cannot afford to spend 2 hrs in traffic, sorry. So get a letter stating that a $25 per day violation will post to my acct if the transponder does not read. I had the transponder in my car but I find out my 2017 Jaguar type F has a reflective material in the glass that interferes with the signal of my SunPass. So I called them and they said they have a specialty list of cars that require "bumper mounts" lol, yes bumper mounts. So I call my dealer and they said that they have to be permanently installed (drilled) into front bumper and if your car is a lease then you have to replace the bumper and paint, labor etc. (Lmao).

So I called SunPass and informed them of this information and they informed me that there is nothing they can do about that. So I told them, "Should I drive the whole way on i95 with my hand outside the window waving my SunPass?". They said, 'no'. Actually they asked me if I wanted to close my account. I already pay $5-18 depending on traffic to go express and then they want to rip me off another $25 because they said they have to pay someone to look at license plates. Tell me something people, tolls were 25 cents and people actually had to stand there and collect. Now no people there and $5-$18 without no work and an extra $25 for someone to work and read your plate. We should sue the crap out of SunPass people. Let's get these **.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

First, the SunPass website is a joke. Can make payments, it continues to loop you around the site and you can't get jack ** accomplished. Second, don't call customer service; they will NEVER pick up. Third, our money has to be going in SOMEONE'S pocket, we get charged for not even being near a toll... WTF is really going on?! Very pissed off customer.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

How can they possibly get away with overcharging me for a toll if no one was there for me to pay them. So because this toll was not manned, I have to pay the toll plus an administrative fee. What a ripoff. I called twice to complain about this and each rep gave me a totally different reason as to why I was being charged. There is no reasoning with these people.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2016

When you cannot complete a transaction either on the phone or via computer, there's too much bureaucracy. SunPass has proof of my father's death but could not allow me to take over his account and his transponder, even though the money for his account had been coming from my checking account for years. No, I have to buy a new transponder and open a new account. If I had an option of another company, I'd look into it. But SunPass is the only prepaid toll program in the state. I have no options. It offered to let me take a phone survey, but I had to have some number so I could even get to the survey. Yeah, like the people who run SunPass really want to know what customers think.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

On the 12th October 2016, I entered the Florida Turnpike at the entrance #99 Okeechobee Blvd, West Palm Beach, headed South exit 58 where I exited. I handed the Toll booth worker my ticket and she said that she does not take tickets, and that I had gone thru a Toll plaza? What I saw no Toll Plaza, she said it's off to the side and a lot of people miss it. She also said I was to call the number printed on the ticket, and I still had to pay $1.25 additional to get off at exit #58.

Upon arriving home I called the number and said I had to wait till I received the ticket. and it will cost me $15.52. The total cost of driving the complete Turnpike from Orlando, FL to Lauderhill, FL. It is my understanding that they know they have a problem and could not care less, pay up or get fined. BTW 1 star is too good a score. As far as I am concerned they can rot in hell with a -100. The State needs to look into this matter. In August of last year a army buddy came down to see me, and he was traveling across the state from Naples, FL to Fort Lauderdale via 595 headed to I95. He also got a $35 ticket in the mail. He said that there was no signs toll both or exits. I would just love a class action lawsuit against these robbers. PS. I will not ever use the turnpike again.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2016

I want to join or organize a Class Action Lawsuit against SunPass. They perform deceptively to cheat people. They charge every two weeks $2.50 as "administrative charges" stating they send you letters, but they never do. I can subpoena the post office, I'm sure they will testify, of no record of Sunpass mail. I Sunpass fee of $5.00 turns to be $300 in a matter of months with those "administrative charges." It's about "We, the people" take some action back against these thieves. Call me if you want to organize a Action Class Lawsuit. My number is **, my name is **.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

I went through two Florida tolls in the Tampa, Fl area late Sept 2016 and paid my tolls into the basket they had for toll deposits, and the green light came on saying go. Couple weeks later I get a bill for both toll instances saying I owed! I called, was told first baskets had been taken off their tolling areas. Lie. What did I do, dream this? Second, was told I had to pay, that they had a picture of my license plate. So what, I paid and was given a go light and you couldn't even see the car or area I was in (that would show a basket) because the photo was dark otherwise... how convenient. I paid my extortion amount to just get it handled and done with. Multiply this instance and others in the same situation and how many fraudulent dollars is this agency collecting a year... hundreds... thousands... over years... millions?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2016

We are not a frequent travellers and we always like to pay for every service that we used and in this situation there was nobody to pay at the toll (Sunpass) Orlando Florida and with our intend to pay then we are going to get a toll violation fee for it without any reason. Not fair.

SunPass Prepaid Toll Program Company Information