2. Homeowners

Florida

2.1/5 (349 ratings)

About SunPass Prepaid Toll Program

SunPass Prepaid Toll Program Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPass Prepaid Toll Program?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPass Prepaid Toll Program?

Original review: March 31, 2021

SunPass emails me every time before auto debiting my replenish. I set $25. When my balance is $10 it triggers replenish. Fine. However, I've just noticed they've sometimes debited 2x in one day, and sometimes bi-weekly! Crazy autopay? I only use one toll road in the area (goes to mom's house) for total about $5-10 per month MAX.

Original review: March 10, 2021

This company Sunpass is stealing from the people. Two days ago I paid $243 and two days later I owe 16 dollars, and those days the daily charge was $0.33. This company needs to stop, and charge what is fair.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

Upon reviewing my Sunpass account in December, I noticed that I was being charged for Pinellas tolls (I am enrolled in the commuter plan). I read the plan specifications, which state that it expires September 30th. I also read that it renews automatically if you are enrolled in "easy pay" (I am). NOT TRUE! Not only did it not renew, it wouldn't let me submit payment to renew. So, I sent an auto request asking for credit for the $40+ in tolls since September 30th and for the plan to be reinstated. My answer was essentially "nah, you didn't renew". No assistance whatsoever. I had to delete the plan and reenter it again.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

Several times over the years they have just up and billed me for plates that weren't even mine, they have recently billed me for several (over 100) toll violations on a temporary tag that was issued to a car I purchased recently, they started charging me for tolls on the plate that was apparently also on 2 other different cars driving on a toll highway over 200 miles away on a highway I've never been on, I sent them the registrations showing them the plate wasn't even issued at time of violations and after 2.5 months they send an email stating case closed insufficient documents, after 20 plus phone calls that take an hour for someone to pick up each time that can't do anything for you anyhow and there's no way to reach anyone that can that can actually make decisions or anyone that can even tell you what they want accurately.

They have access to DMV computers to be able to bill you why do I have to go spend my time at dmv getting proof for them to clear me of their mistakes, if they can use dmv to bill me they can use dmv to clear me without hassling me over it, let alone just open their eyes. The cars in the pictures aren't even close to what mine looks like, and hey there's 2 different ones in the pictures. What's up with that, one of the representatives even said they have issues with plates all the time, one would think that if they can just bill you at will they would be more responsible about fixing the issues when they mess up. No wonder Florida isn't going to renew their contracts apparently.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

I have sold my jet ski with a trailer 5 years ago. Forgot to remove the license plate and the new owner used the expired plate to go through tolls. I reported to the DMV that I no longer own the trailer. SunPass wants me to file a police report. Police advised me to contact the DMV. It seems that SunPass is protecting crooks using expired stolen plates as long as they can charge former owners for Toll charges... Third world company!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I have tested the honesty of the Sunpass system to verify that they do not falsely invoice charges that have not been made, and they have not passed the exam in the month of September. We spent only one day on the Don Shula highway and they charged two more days charges. This is not the first time that this has happened, you have to clean that place of predatory wolves, which steal money in an authorized way, with the approval of state authorities. This system of improper toll collection has a flavor of dictatorship, there are no mechanisms to combat fraud, corruption and theft.

Original review: June 27, 2020

I received an invoice for a toll I knew was not mine. It was a Pay By Plate. When I looked at the photo, it was obvious half the plate was out of view, meaning someone guessed at the plate number. If they looked up the plate, they would have seen it was for a Honda Fit. The photo was of a commercial box truck. So I opened up a dispute, followed up with a second report showing my car with the plate in question. THEY DID NOTHING TO INVESTIGATE AND SENT ME A SECOND NOTICE. It took a very angry call to a supervisor to get this resolved, or at least I hope it is. Billing people via a photo is a HORRIBLE IDEA.

Original review: June 10, 2020

On Friday, June 5, 2020, I received my first check from going back to work and decided to make very small payments on all accounts just to keep it active. I went to make a $10 payment on my Sunpass but the credit card information was outdated. I went to update it to submit my $10 payment and it charged my card $974. It took my entire paycheck which included my rent and part of my car payment. I called the customer service number so I could have them cancel, refund, or reverse the payment. Unfortunately you can’t speak to a live person when you call, you only get the automated machine and there’s no option to speak with anyone.

I frantically called the turnpike itself and the woman who answered said she would try to get help. A woman from the department of transportation called me back and said she would get with someone from Sunpass to help. She called me again to tell me that I would be getting the payment reversed and I was so relieved. Now mind you, it’s the 5th and rent was due on the 1st. The 5th is the last day of the grace period to pay your rent “on time”. Because Sunpass took the money out of my account, I couldn’t pay rent and I’ve now tacked on an additional $200 late fee that I have to pay.

On Tuesday, June 9, 2020, I received an email from Sunpass stating that they were not going to reverse the payment of $974 because my $10 payment was not enough. How do you in your right mind just charge an amount to someone’s card without their approval. If I entered $10, what makes you think I can afford $974... during a pandemic?! There’s no one I can reach out to for assistance and I’m paying the price for just trying to keep the Sunpass active. I want my $974 back that was wrongfully taken from my account. I don’t even give Sunpass 1 star. This is not the first experience I’ve had with them that went poorly and most of the Floridian people I know would rather not deal with Sunpass either.

Original review: April 17, 2020

Beware...when you open a Sunpass account, you must read ALL fine print and make sure you select: "Receive Statements Electronically" or you will be charged $1.50 for a monthly statement (hardcopy) to be sent to you...after this happened, I notified Sunpass to ask what charge was and was told that I did not select paperless selection when opened account...after requesting adjustment to charge due to new user and requesting forgiveneess for oversight, I was told charge would NOT be reversed as mailing already occurred...the mailing didn't not cost $1.50 for sure - this is not appropriate in my opinion...extremely poor customer service - beware!

Original review: April 9, 2020

For something that should be a seamless process, it is a nightmare for most Floridians. Sunpass will overcharge, double charge, and send you a bill with a photo of a car that is not your car. According to the newspaper, they have even sent bills to people who have died years ago but yet their corpses are still racking up tolls through Sunpass. They are unreasonable and rude and they defend their actions by saying they only make 10,000 mistakes every year and they think that number is acceptable. Florida deserves a better toll system. Sunpass is not capable of accurately handling the job and should be replaced by a different system. I can't reclaim the hours of my life that I have spent on the phone with them over their mistakes. I look forward to the day when they are replaced.

SunPass Prepaid Toll Program Company Information