1.32/5
Based on 249 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

California

362 Southern California Edison Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I have been unfortunately a customer with this disgusting company for many years. I am 83 years of age. My daughter takes care of everything for me because I do not drive and I do not use the computer. When the bill was due my daughter was out of the country and I didn't know the bill was due. They turned off the electricity and now they are asking for a deposit. I explained to them the situation and they did not care one bit. I showed them proof of what they asked for which was my daughters itinerary so I can prove to them that she was out of the country that morning and that she came the same day from her trip when they shut off the electricity. Then they came up with another excuse that they didn't care meanwhile they told me to show them the proof.

They wanted a $260 security deposit. I told them I am on social security and I am very limited on my funds. They did not care one bit. I have never ever in all my years I have lived here has my electricity been shut off. They know exactly how much money I make every month. I told them that I do not have the money to pay for the deposit and they did not care. They only care about money. Someone who has had electricity all their lives and I am 82 years of age it shows their consideration. I have to borrow money now for the deposit. This company is unbelievable the attitude they have towards senior citizen. The worse company I have ever dealt with in my life. Shame on them, not caring if an 82 year old has money for food because I have to give the security deposit. Disgusting. I will never ever say anything good about these thieves.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I keep hearing from SCE that I'm using too much energy and if I need to be cooler, to get in my car and drive to a local library that has air conditioning. I have air conditioning and don't use it for more than 4 hours a day. There is also a gadget on my air conditioner that allows SCE to turn it off if demand is too high. I'm 82 years old and have shortness of breath. I don't think I should have to drive somewhere to cool off. What's wrong with these people? I pay my bills in full each month. I think that's good enough. I cannot deal with the 80 degree heat and need them to give me a break.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Fifth All Day Power Outage. Repeatedly over the course of about a year SCE has felt it just fine to turn off power generally about 9 or 11 hrs (they have not once finished before their planned time of 8 hours) in the most critically hot time of the year for our location. This has occurred repeatedly last summer and now this summer. They are replacing power poles which is fine; however instead of doing the work with a single outage to each neighborhood and moving on, they keep returning with zero concern for elderly or infirm residents and pets that can potentially become critically ill from the heat.

No attempt has been made to keep this work streamlined, organized and safe. When they do work on the street, they are loud and disruptive with workers shouting and playing their radios, zooming around with their trucks, blocking residents and so forth. This company needs restructuring with improved policy towards their clients. They are the only game in town with ever increasing rates and snotty comments about our power usage (for which we pay a huge amount) on every bill we receive. Would love to be free of them and their game playing.

Original review: March 23, 2018

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. The first widespread power outage was supposed to be for a few hours. They were analyzing it. Why give an estimated time if you don't know what it is. Ridiculous. Every time you called more extensions and lies. Two days without power. An entire refrigerator of food gone. They said faulty equipment. But they fixed it. Happened again last week. Are we still hooked up to faulty equipment? Did you just say you fixed it so mad people will stop calling? Third time, power out. No idea of any restoration time but they're on it. I guess I'm still hooked up to faulty equipment or they still haven't fixed the original problem and just keep stringing everyone along. No confidence in the equipment or the company. Wouldn't trust you people with flashlights. Worst utility company EVER.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I have been trying to find a way to get back. Without a problem with this company. Due to me accidentally forgetting to send a payment on my security deposit. Every time someone misses a payment I guess they have to pay another deposit again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southern California Edison?

Original review: March 1, 2018

SCE is a great company that focuses on customer satisfaction as well as focusing on the welfare of their employees. They are great! This huge company actually cares!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I find it hard to believe that when summer comes, I don't ever turn on my A/C but yet my bill goes up. I wish there was a mock house used by investigators to see if the billing is correct.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

So. Cal Edison has always responded to a service call quickly. Always professional and courteous and on time. Any power failures have been corrected quickly.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I'm very satisfied with this company. It took them 3 yrs to credit my deposit but it had interest to it so that was fine with me. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

A generational electric supplier. Still think it's way too much regardless of whom you're with. But SCE has great rebate and also low income schedules and are always able to push bills if you can't make the due date. Great for outdoor overhead powerlines and tree trimming at their expense.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Southern California Edison is extremely expensive and abusive increasing rates, especially when you are retired and living in a fix income, very frustrating. They should be more considerate of customers, I wonder about the kind of salaries their management earns at the expense of their customers like myself, I am sure well above of what I ever earned.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

SCE is a monopoly, and they know it. They are in perpetual negotiations with the Public Utilities Commission for ever rising power charges. Their product is over-priced and the reliability is questionable. I have had several outages lately, the longest being over 12 hours last winter during a heavy rainstorm. In addition, their tiered charging structure penalizes the customer for using Air Conditioning when we need it the most. I'm retired and my sick wife and I are normally stuck in the house on hot summer days where the outside temperature often exceeds 90 degrees. Our bill is outsized compared to the power we consume when compared with neighboring communities such as Anaheim. SCE is not a customer-friendly company.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

As good as a utility company can be, Southern California Edison fits the bill, no pun intended. My dealings with them have always been positive. No issues.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

A couple months ago we received a letter stating we use more electricity than our neighbors. I think Edison was hoping that we don't talk to each other because every neighbor that we talked to got the same letter. These ** are feeling the loss to solar and they are trying to recoup the losses from all the current customers. CROOKS!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

We live in a 2 bedroom apartment and the billing is more than the 5 bedroom home with pool we previously lived in. SCE is unwilling to assist in determining the high cost accrued by residents here at the complex.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

These people do not care at all about their customers. They have the least helpful Customer Service department I've ever seen and their Bill Pay by Phone is a complete scam. In November, I paid my regular account and my deposit account (which I had to have for missing a payment arrangement on one of my horrendous summer electric bills) over the phone using my bank debit card. I got confirmation #'s for both transactions and didn't think anything of it until I received a disconnect notice in December on my regular account. After finally getting nowhere with the CSR on the phone, I reached a supervisor named Anthony, who seemed to actually care and want to help. He even gave me his DIRECT LINE AND BUSINESS HOURS TO CALL HIM DIRECT - so - today when I called him about my deposit account disconnect notice he said he was busy on calls and that his direct line isn't for regular customers to call in on...ha!

I don't know why I was surprised by this. When I called in on the regular line, I had to repeat my information 3 different times the third being another "Supervisor" named Barbara who basically called me a liar (when I went over my Pay by phone experience) and couldn't or wouldn't offer any help...HORRIBLE COMPANY! I wish I didn't live in an HOA because I would just get Solar Panels and just be done with them FOREVER. My only other option is to move out of California.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

So for the past 4 years, my neighbor and I have been paying each other's power bills, this is because SoCal Edison had made a mistake and crossed our meters during set up. This had gone unnoticed as our bills were similar until this summer when my neighbor's power bill went up to $300. After that, he went on a 3-month journey of getting the runaround from SoCal Edison until they finally found the problem of switched meters.

Once the problem was found I received a $1000 bill for the difference in electrical usage. I am so frustrated by this because all the information they gave me for the past 4 years was wrong, I was never able to adjust my power use and behavior because their information was wrong. I get a bill for $60. Think I used $60 of power, not $300! I find it ridiculous that SoCal Edison is asking me to pay for their mistake. I've complained to the State of California, but I know I will lose because Edison writes the regulation rules. The only thing I can do now is to complain to the internet and hope for help. Can I sue them? Who can help me sue them? Is it worth fighting?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Power got shut off around 10 AM. Went outside to investigate, and saw a bucket truck parked in the middle of my small one lane road. I went outside to investigate the time and duration. Upon reaching the supervisor Richard ** of JLS Engineering, I was informed that the power would be off until 2 pm. As I normally work from home, I told him that I had to get out and this street was the only way in or out. His immediate response was "Well, we had let everyone know two weeks ago" and shrugged his shoulders. To which, knowing this was not right, I asked for his name and who to complain. When I returned with my camera to film the actions, he finally got his truck to move and maintained he never said he wouldn't move.

Whatever could be characterized as either a misunderstanding or borderline negligent practices, one thing is definitely not in doubt is that these contractors need to have better communication skills. I still feel had I not brought out my camera to complain a second time, they would have not moved. I was upset and unnerved enough by the confrontation to complain. I am no stranger to SCE inconveniences, as I have had better working understandings with various SCE contractors in the past (why I gave 2 stars) as we live right along power lines in a heavily forested area. But this was absolutely the worst; I was made to feel ignored, not listened to and brushed aside. SCE seriously needs to evaluate this particular team.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Recently my mobile park converted to meters. In which my power was turn off without a notice from Edison. When I try to call I got transfer like 10 times by so many represented I lost count. After trying so hard and getting nowhere and 2 days of no power, my food went bad, we lived in the dark. My wife and I decided to keep calling until we got an answer but not only did they not help no one seem to know how to help us. The manager at out park said on 3 occasion Edison had to solve this and Edison said it was the 3rd party working on them. Finally we got a hold of the 3rd party and stated that it was Edison fault.

However, Edison keep refusing to help and given us dumb and dumber ideas. No department could help and no one seem to care I was living in the dark. It's day 3 and with no power, I'm considering a lawsuit. I missed work, I'm frustrated and I can't sleep, I feel like this situation it's making me sick. Edison does not care for the customers what a disappointment.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Came home from work electric was off call Edison. They said PayPass due amount, $5 reconnect fee and a $260 deposit. I explained to the lady that I had called in yesterday to complain about the current bill amount. She said she could see that I spoke to someone and I told her if the representative would've told me the service would be disconnected I would've had her make the payment. I've been a customer for 11 years and my service has never been disconnected that they should waive the deposit.

She said there is no way to waive the 260 and they will hold the deposit for a year and if I make a late payment they will keep the deposit an extra 6 months. So I asked after the year how long it would take before the money is refunded she couldn't give me a time frame. I think she is ripping off their customers and should be investigated for fraud. This is some of the worse customer service I have ever seen. They charge you an extra 260 dollars and the service was on off for a few hours and she acted like they have to send someone out to reconnect the service until I told her that all this stuff is done remotely. SCE total rip off.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Power got shut off without notice due to a misunderstanding. Made several attempts to contact them and fix mistakes. Been 8 days already. 9/20-9/27 no power at all. It's hot and we need light. Using a generator doesn't work too much for all appliances. Have elderly and children here and Edison just turned their backs on us. 1st time in 12 years light had ever got to this point of being disconnected. Now they want a 800 deposit plus the bill which totals 1400 to turn on service. No help, no customer service, no supervisor, just always saying, "No, there is nothing we can do." Yes there is. You can turn on the power and help us with some form of arrangement. 12 years we are not going to skip out on paying. We need power and you're the only company that supplies it. Why are they so ignorant and rude.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

The hottest days of the year in last week in August - today Sept 9th and the largest electrical company in California can't have their website online so we can check our electric bill. They have also decreased the no. of kilowatts on tier one for our use {at a lower price} and increased the price of tier 2-3. Our electric bills have exploded. Shame on them. Get on board with customers with solar! We spent 50,000 for an advantage of lowering our bill to at minimum $40.00 per month and I can see on past bills that the wattage we used on tier one & two has now doubled due to their price increase. Give me a break. They’re thieves while claiming to be solar friendly. On top of it all, they don't care & neither does Governor Brown Noser!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I submitted a completed online application for their discount program call Care/Fera along with require proof of income documentation for me and my wife. I even call their customer service and spoke with them over the phone concern these matter. They said "as long as provide some kind of proof such as pay stubs for August 2017 should be fine, no need to give them 2016 w-2 or income tax”. Then, 2 weeks later, they send me a letter requesting me the fill out the application and provide other adult income verification. That is crazy. Did they not receive my online submission application and proof of income? And who is other adult. There is no other adult in my household... is only me, my wife and 3 kids.

They been doing this to me since last year. They are hypocrite acting to be nice to poor and needy people May God reveal their evil mind so they won't fool people and help them to repent before the judgment day of wrath of God fall on them. May they repent soon. Because Jesus Christ is coming to destroy the evil of this world due to sins and lack of love for God.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

They had us sign up for the "summer air-conditioning" program. It was suppose to help lower the bill. Well all it did was raise the bill. They cycle the air when its 112 degrees outside at 5pm to 8pm when you are just getting home so then your AC has to work all night long to compensate from the 3 hours of no air working and everyone just getting home. So, your bill is higher and when you call and say this isn't working for me. They say well too bad you signed up and you are stuck with it for 1 year. When you say it's Palm Springs it’s a heatwave. It’s 115 today we have not been home. It’s been on 80 all day our bill is already $585 and you can't work with me? NO. Sorry and you don't have a choice. THEY ARE THE WORST utility company EVER.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

Very underhandedly Southern California Edison has been accumulating a very large bill for us that will become due at the end of the year. It is printed in very small type in a box to the right of the "amount due" box. Very difficult for seniors to read and seemingly unimportant. This bill can amount to thousands of dollars and will be extremely difficult for seniors on fixed incomes to pay. Nearly ensuring that their Christmas holidays will be ruined. A very crappy way to deal with one's customers. Don't you think?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

They don't like to work with people. They rather leave you without power. They could not provide me with an extension. My power is subject to be turned off on the 22nd. I told them I get paid on the 25th. They told no that they could not help me. They rather see a single mom and her family without power. They are very rude. All other companies will work with you like the gas company and water department. Edison doesn't care about their customers! What's 3 more day? That's when I get paid.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

While installing a new electrical service for my neighbor, the SCE technician felt that my Frontier Fios Fiber Optic cable on the same shared tower supplying my Internet was in his way and he severed and discarded the cable. I tried to file a police report but was turned away by the police. In the attached photo you can see two cut cables and one of them is mine. The internet died and the technician left before I could confront him. Calls to SCE only result in total denial. Will take a week for Frontier to come out and fix it.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I am disabled. I was trying to leave for a doctor's appointment and Edison refused to move any of the 9 vehicles chugging out diesel for 4 hrs and the office of bs corp told me under governance blah blah blah and the police said it is illegal for them to block me in. What a bunch of **.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Edison is ripping me off with my electric bill, saying I use more than my neighbors. I don't even have central AC and my bill has doubled. I called CPUC and Edison sent out a meter technician to check the meter. He asked me to shut things off and unplug my refrigerator which I did and my meter was still registering electricity. I ask him why it was still registering usage and he said it's probably the refrigerator and I said, but it's unplugged and he said, “Oh it's only registering a small amount of electricity.” Edison said I am using the most consumption of electricity between 12:00 am to 5:00 am during my sleeping hours. Eva ** from Edison is saying my meter is registering my usage accurately. The technician said that is odd to use electricity during those hours. Edison is sticking to their word of saying everything is working well. I don't believe anything Edison is telling me. I hope they get a class action filed against them in the future.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I have a hedge that stretches 18' across my back yard that borders the alley. On the outside is a large pole, dead center. The SCE employee that was looking at the pole, cut my hedges down 4 feet in both directions and up 10 feet. What once was a secure, private backyard is now wide open for any thief to just walk on in. I understand they needed to access the pole, but the business end is at the top. Also, with the heatwave we've been having (105,110) the hedges help keep my place cooler.

Not sure about Southern California Edison?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Utility Companies for you.

Southern California Edison Company Information

www.sce.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business