1.30/5

California

Need a utility company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Southern California Edison Reviews

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

My family lost the back of our house, back yard, trees, plants and our fence melted. Our power was shut off on the morning of the fire, we had NO notice until the fire was on the hill behind us. In addition to the loss I already mentioned, we had gone to the grocery store the night before and filled our fridge, that feeds four people. I work for an amazing company that reimburses you for loss during a natural disaster. All I needed from the electric company was documentation of our power being shut off.

I called SCE and they proceeded to put me on hold to speak with a supervisor to see how to go about getting that document. A couple minutes later, the representative comes back on the phone and tells me that they can't provide me with that information. I pleaded with them just to get a text, email or note so I could be reimbursed for that $300 we lost. They refused. I proceeded to tell them that they were responsible for many losses that occurred during this fire and now they have just added to it. They are a cruel, selfish, hateful company. If you have another option, use it!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Their website is inadequate by fact. They do not allow the user to transfer to a new bank account. If you do this, they will get confused. If they charge the old one, which they will. First, they will send many letters and charge fees. Then they get paid plus interest. Then they block you from paying future costs, unless you drive 40 miles to a collections service to pay cash in person. Excellent idea from people who do not live in the real world.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I moved to Irvine in February 2019 and since then no bills show up on Edison website. When I called them 3 times during the last 6 months, the answer was always the same - they have been having billing issues, they would send an email when it's fixed and I wouldn't be responsible for any late fees. I am planning to move out in 2 months and honestly, have no idea whether I am going to receive the bill (which I suppose will be a large amount if I do) or not.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

After receiving a $750 bill for August, 2019 I decided it was time to get serious and investigate what the loads are and minimize any I can. I am an aerospace engineer and am fortunate to have the test equipment and knowledge to do this task. Using the Edison Daily/Hourly usage web application I was able to reduce the daily usage by 50%. I also had a consultation with a solar company and want to consider going 100% solar and get Edison out of my wallet. Unfortunately, Edison stopped providing daily/hourly usage on Sept 12 and it is now September 20 and it is still not available.

The end of the year is rapidly approaching and the federal rebates are scheduled to end on Dec 31 of this year. The solar company needs accurate usage information in order to size the system and we are dead in the water until Edison restores the usage data to customers. Edison is a monopoly and there are no alternate sources of grid power. The California Public Utilities Commission is supposed to represent the interests of the consumer and from what I have seen, they are simply political hacks that are appointed by the governor and the public has no direct influence in selecting them. It is time to take back our state and replace the governor and the PUC.

There also needs to be alternate sources of purchasing power from the grid. The alternate companies of several years ago seem to have disappeared, probably because Edison added on so much in transmission fees that it was no longer practical. If there is any political group dedicated to cleaning house in the PUC and representing the consumer, it would be advantageous if it were posted on this site. In a competitive environment, Edison would probably have fired the VP of the IT department and replaced him/her with someone competent. Unfortunately, as a monopoly we can see that this does not happen when the customers/consumers have a PUC that is not representing the interests of the consumer.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I run a small business with my wife and because are payments haven’t been on time, they are charging us $2155 as a deposit or they will shut our electricity off. We service a small community and are struggling but that makes no difference to them. They have the monopoly and do whatever they want. If we are having a hard time paying a $900 bill, how do they expect us to come up with $2155 for them to hold as long as they want? We still pay them every month. I don’t get this, I wish we had solar!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southern California Edison?

Original review: July 29, 2019

SCE is choosing to shut down our power for 3 days (8am - 4pm each time) in the span of 12 days during the hottest time of year - where temps have been high 90s and low 100s. We only receive a ~5 day notice in the mail and cannot reschedule. We operate an STR business at the home and 5 days is not enough time to make other arrangements with guests. This is damaging to my business and unacceptable. When called to inquire I was told "sorry these are necessary" and "they happen all throughout the year" (even though we have had this house for almost 1 year and this is the first time this has happened).

Original review: July 11, 2019

We own a short term occupancy in Ojai. We received notice that the power pole servicing the rental needed to be replaced. The days it was scheduled for replaced we had clients staying in the rental. Even though the power pole was installed 35 years ago they said it had to be replaced that day and refused to reschedule even though I gave them numerous open days. They did not want to hear it. Very rude and unhelpful supervisor. Their action ruined a vacation for our clients and caused financial loss for my family.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I called to find out my usage data and was not told why it was left out. I also asked last month if my bill would be cheaper if I opted out of CPA but was not given an answer. Just that they couldn't tell me anything definite that I should call CPA which I did but I was still given the runaround.

Original review: June 28, 2019

This information is provided for those who may have been having issues with accessing usage data on the SCE website. After 3 months of not being able to view my usage, and after numerous phone calls to SCE inquiring as to “why”, and having been told time after time that they were “working on it”, I finally spoke with someone in the tech department of SCE today who informed me that SCE usage data is “NO LONGER AVAILABLE TO THOSE WHO DIDN’T OPT OUT OF 'CALIFORNIA POWER ALLIANCE' (AKA-CPA).” I asked her why SCE management - 1) decided to do this and 2) didn’t have the mindfulness to present a notification on their website informing customers of this change? She didn’t know, and suggested that I speak with a REP from CPA to see if they provide usage data and gave me with their phone # > 888-585-3788.

I spoke with Kenneth at CPA who informed me that CPA’s only function is to provide electricity. They do not take care of billing or reading meters, hence, they are not equipped to provide usage data. For whatever reason, even though SCE still takes care of billing and meter reading, they won’t provide usage information for those who didn’t opt out of CPA. So, Kenneth assisted me in opting out. This is still an option for anyone who wants access to their usage information. I would’ve liked to remain with CPA knowing that my electricity was coming from clean sources. But I need and want the ability to monitor my usage to keep emissions low and my bill under a certain amount. Why we have to choose this way makes no sense to me. It’s unfortunate that SCE management have their heads up their **.

Original review: June 15, 2019

No bill posted to my account since March 2019. I paid my last bill on April 4, 2019. The last communication I received from SCE came via email in April, saying that I should look for the energy credit on my next bill. That bill never came, and when I check my account online, it lists no amount due, no credits, nothing. I have called the billing dept every month since then. They keep saying that they are having "billing issues", and the last person I spoke with said that it is affecting 45,000 customers...

I wish I could figure out where to complain to get something done about this. It seems there is no one that would take on this issue and help customers get things back to normal. I contacted the Ventura County Star and spoke with a reporter, who said she would look into it. I haven't heard back. If this matter could be blown up large enough to get people talking about it, maybe things would change, but how can one draw attention to this on a large scale? Sometimes I need to submit a copy of my utility bill for some benefits that I am receiving, and I can't even do that.

Southern California Edison Company Information