1.31/5

Need a utility company?

California

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

371 Southern California Edison Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

For over three weeks, I have daily gone onto the SC Edison Website to obtain our last three bills but that function still does not work. I called Edison over a week ago & was told they were revising their website & it "needed just a few more tweaks." Really? Why would any company put a website into production without all the functions? Edison emails a bill with a due date, but won't provide a bill so verify. Isn't that on the verge of fraud?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I called to connect my electric to the residence due to a mishap with the location I’m renting through. I go through the process run my credit with a soft hit and provided all supporting documents as disclosed to the email needed. I then ask for a timeframe in regards to when the services will be back available. It was explained same day. As with a smart system they just have to send a signal and to call back if I haven’t received any power before I got work. I get home, no power, kids out in the dark and I have to make arrangements Edison states they aren’t responsible for. I then reach and escalate the matter to a supervisor David and I’m provided a poor response in regards to the account. It's noted and all that. There's nothing that can be done as we need to wait the business days it requires us to address the matter.

I explained if I was presented with that from the beginning I could have looked and arranged a few things. I then moved forward and stated that this is a training concern where the information delivered to me was inaccurate. So he stated, "It’s not my department" and provided contact # 877-890-2486. I stated, "Is there someone I can speak with at the point of contact." He says, "Yes." I then proceed to call. Their voicemail is full. Messages can’t be left. The operator is unavailable and the call drops on me per Edison due to no remaining options.

Welcome to inefficiency. Kids are now without power due to Edison. I have to wait all weekend as I have no timeframe to look forward for. No number to call for help. Spoiled food they won’t replace. And to top it all off I’m in probation for a new career that requires my flexibility with hours. Edison needs some serious revaluation done. Including some revamping of processes for escalations. Empower your employees to make the right decision. Otherwise what good are you. Just another bill we’re forced to pay. Absolutely no help.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Since July 2018 I have been expecting a refund from a deposit made to SCE. See account # **, the account is inactive. Please take care of your customers!! Pay the deposits back!! How much longer we have to wait!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

They shut off my electric, to get it back on I have to pay cash right away before 7pm to get it back on same night. $1154.00, 25.00 reconnect fee, and deposit of 2600.00 had to pay $3,770.00 before 7pm to get it back on same day, which I did... 12 hours later still not on! Stated on my receipt would be on in the next 4 hours... Never did! I asked 3 Edison reps how they come out with the amount of the deposit?? They all said they get your highest bill in the last 12 months and multiply by 2 , which that's against California's State regulations!! Hahaha, I've already done the paperwork for a class action lawsuit on deposit charging. Edison isn't so bright... hahaha... and I filed a claim to get reimbursed for all of my time, gas, and wages, all my overhead, like the loss sales for the day... remember people the bigger the company the better to sue them for wrong doings... have a great day! LOOK UP THE lawsuit to join...

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have been an SCE customer for 50 years and a SCE retiree. I liked logging in and paying my bill by "ECheck." It was convenient and free. I would also pay ahead with sometimes up to $200 that covers 3-5 months. Loved it. NOW they are connected with JPMChase and charge $1.65 for any and all online payments if you don't have automatic direct payment set up. I NEVER have, nor will I ever have in the future, automatic direct payment set up for ANY company. I will have to go back to the old SNAIL MAIL I guess and will now always wait until the week of due date to send in. Customer service is going backwards.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southern California Edison?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I have been with SCE over 28 years, 17 whole living I. My current home obviously they ALWAYS get their money. Most recently my bill has tripled in amount dues, the bill is so confusing even the customer service department has difficulty explaining or understanding what it means but always manages to make it benefit SCE. I finally decided to go ahead and avoid the confusion by enrolling in auto pay on Sept 1, 2018. This same day made my payment of 501.17 bring me to a zero balance. I then get a disconnection notice a few days later, since I’m enrolled in auto pay I figure, the payment is just taking a few days to process, call back to SCE and they ensure me that I am Indeed signed up for automatic pay not to worry.

Few days after that I check my account again now shows 501.17 due by 11/05/2018, but the online info shows a balance of zero. So on 10/26/2018 while no one is home SCE shows up and disconnects our electricity. I have a party scheduled for Sat 10/27/2018, 8 o’clock am. I contact SCE who confirms I have a zero balance and that my payment was made after the power had been shut off. EXCUSE ME I am signed for auto pay. How is that my fault. I paid this bill a month ago and they are just now processing it (NO DOUBT IN AN ATTEMPT TO NOW CHARGE ME A RECONNECTION FEE). This company is so UNDERHANDED AND CONTINUOUSLY ROBBING their customer of their hard earning money.

I called SCE back a second time. The girls said service is scheduled to be turned back on by close of business on Saturday. I informed her as well as Sophia the first representative that we have medical needs that require electricity. Here it is 1 am STILL NO POWER FOR PAYING CUSTOMERS. I was forced to relocation my party, have my mother stay with other family members because of her medical needs and not one person at SCE cab give me any answers or give half a crap about their customer. I will be filing a formal complaint and a claim. Looks like solar here I come. A angry loyal customer.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

In December 2015 I moved into an apartment in Palm Springs, California. The electrical service at my complex was installed in July 2015 about 5 months before I moved in. Shortly after moving in I noticed a spike in my electrical bill so I contacted SCE requesting that they send out a technician to investigate the matter; from December 2015 to December 2017 I contacted SCE approximately 10 times. In December 2017 SCE sent out a technician to my complex when my neighbor's service was mistakenly disconnected. During their investigation SCE learned that the meters in apartment 3 and 4 were crossed. At this point I have overpaid an estimated $200.00 for the past 2 years; to make matter worse SCE is hounding me for an unpaid balance of $1,600.00 and have disconnected my service twice. I'm presently looking for legal assistance to help me resolve this matter. I can be reached at the following email address: **.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have take over a business. I never know my unit have 2 meters. Meter on my name since transferred to new owner no problem because I taking care all my bills never miss or late (this meter is outside the building). Now, SCE turn off my service with the reason this meter (inside building) never paying the BILLS since 2008. All the prior owner of this unit, they never know either. They said, the bill is more than $15,000. If a person, does not pay the bill, then get a NOTICE, after that will shut-off right away. 10 years. Never Shut off... They ask me to taking the bills then service is on. IDIOT. Period, if I suppose to pay the bills. I am telling to all my friends, they laughing and response "Idiot... Are you kidding me?" SCE... Is untouchable... Only SCE providing energy here.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I am paying upwards of $450 a month attributed to that high usage BS. Ok, so I used my air conditioner more than normal because we had a hot California summer this year. My bill has literally gone up 50 to 75 percent every month. Is solar hitting you that hard SCE, that you have to piss on the consumer? Someone needs to investigate the logistics of this crappy overcharging racket. Just because SCE is seemingly untouchable, somebody must be making noise about this scam. Or maybe we are being herded, like sheep, to solar. Funny how a power company can make you feel powerless... pun intended.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I have been unfortunately a customer with this disgusting company for many years. I am 83 years of age. My daughter takes care of everything for me because I do not drive and I do not use the computer. When the bill was due my daughter was out of the country and I didn't know the bill was due. They turned off the electricity and now they are asking for a deposit. I explained to them the situation and they did not care one bit. I showed them proof of what they asked for which was my daughters itinerary so I can prove to them that she was out of the country that morning and that she came the same day from her trip when they shut off the electricity. Then they came up with another excuse that they didn't care meanwhile they told me to show them the proof.

They wanted a $260 security deposit. I told them I am on social security and I am very limited on my funds. They did not care one bit. I have never ever in all my years I have lived here has my electricity been shut off. They know exactly how much money I make every month. I told them that I do not have the money to pay for the deposit and they did not care. They only care about money. Someone who has had electricity all their lives and I am 82 years of age it shows their consideration. I have to borrow money now for the deposit. This company is unbelievable the attitude they have towards senior citizen. The worse company I have ever dealt with in my life. Shame on them, not caring if an 82 year old has money for food because I have to give the security deposit. Disgusting. I will never ever say anything good about these thieves.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I keep hearing from SCE that I'm using too much energy and if I need to be cooler, to get in my car and drive to a local library that has air conditioning. I have air conditioning and don't use it for more than 4 hours a day. There is also a gadget on my air conditioner that allows SCE to turn it off if demand is too high. I'm 82 years old and have shortness of breath. I don't think I should have to drive somewhere to cool off. What's wrong with these people? I pay my bills in full each month. I think that's good enough. I cannot deal with the 80 degree heat and need them to give me a break.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Fifth All Day Power Outage. Repeatedly over the course of about a year SCE has felt it just fine to turn off power generally about 9 or 11 hrs (they have not once finished before their planned time of 8 hours) in the most critically hot time of the year for our location. This has occurred repeatedly last summer and now this summer. They are replacing power poles which is fine; however instead of doing the work with a single outage to each neighborhood and moving on, they keep returning with zero concern for elderly or infirm residents and pets that can potentially become critically ill from the heat.

No attempt has been made to keep this work streamlined, organized and safe. When they do work on the street, they are loud and disruptive with workers shouting and playing their radios, zooming around with their trucks, blocking residents and so forth. This company needs restructuring with improved policy towards their clients. They are the only game in town with ever increasing rates and snotty comments about our power usage (for which we pay a huge amount) on every bill we receive. Would love to be free of them and their game playing.

Original review: March 23, 2018

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. The first widespread power outage was supposed to be for a few hours. They were analyzing it. Why give an estimated time if you don't know what it is. Ridiculous. Every time you called more extensions and lies. Two days without power. An entire refrigerator of food gone. They said faulty equipment. But they fixed it. Happened again last week. Are we still hooked up to faulty equipment? Did you just say you fixed it so mad people will stop calling? Third time, power out. No idea of any restoration time but they're on it. I guess I'm still hooked up to faulty equipment or they still haven't fixed the original problem and just keep stringing everyone along. No confidence in the equipment or the company. Wouldn't trust you people with flashlights. Worst utility company EVER.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I have been trying to find a way to get back. Without a problem with this company. Due to me accidentally forgetting to send a payment on my security deposit. Every time someone misses a payment I guess they have to pay another deposit again.

Original review: March 1, 2018

SCE is a great company that focuses on customer satisfaction as well as focusing on the welfare of their employees. They are great! This huge company actually cares!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I find it hard to believe that when summer comes, I don't ever turn on my A/C but yet my bill goes up. I wish there was a mock house used by investigators to see if the billing is correct.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

So. Cal Edison has always responded to a service call quickly. Always professional and courteous and on time. Any power failures have been corrected quickly.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I'm very satisfied with this company. It took them 3 yrs to credit my deposit but it had interest to it so that was fine with me. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

A generational electric supplier. Still think it's way too much regardless of whom you're with. But SCE has great rebate and also low income schedules and are always able to push bills if you can't make the due date. Great for outdoor overhead powerlines and tree trimming at their expense.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Southern California Edison is extremely expensive and abusive increasing rates, especially when you are retired and living in a fix income, very frustrating. They should be more considerate of customers, I wonder about the kind of salaries their management earns at the expense of their customers like myself, I am sure well above of what I ever earned.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

SCE is a monopoly, and they know it. They are in perpetual negotiations with the Public Utilities Commission for ever rising power charges. Their product is over-priced and the reliability is questionable. I have had several outages lately, the longest being over 12 hours last winter during a heavy rainstorm. In addition, their tiered charging structure penalizes the customer for using Air Conditioning when we need it the most. I'm retired and my sick wife and I are normally stuck in the house on hot summer days where the outside temperature often exceeds 90 degrees. Our bill is outsized compared to the power we consume when compared with neighboring communities such as Anaheim. SCE is not a customer-friendly company.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

As good as a utility company can be, Southern California Edison fits the bill, no pun intended. My dealings with them have always been positive. No issues.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

A couple months ago we received a letter stating we use more electricity than our neighbors. I think Edison was hoping that we don't talk to each other because every neighbor that we talked to got the same letter. These ** are feeling the loss to solar and they are trying to recoup the losses from all the current customers. CROOKS!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

We live in a 2 bedroom apartment and the billing is more than the 5 bedroom home with pool we previously lived in. SCE is unwilling to assist in determining the high cost accrued by residents here at the complex.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

These people do not care at all about their customers. They have the least helpful Customer Service department I've ever seen and their Bill Pay by Phone is a complete scam. In November, I paid my regular account and my deposit account (which I had to have for missing a payment arrangement on one of my horrendous summer electric bills) over the phone using my bank debit card. I got confirmation #'s for both transactions and didn't think anything of it until I received a disconnect notice in December on my regular account. After finally getting nowhere with the CSR on the phone, I reached a supervisor named Anthony, who seemed to actually care and want to help. He even gave me his DIRECT LINE AND BUSINESS HOURS TO CALL HIM DIRECT - so - today when I called him about my deposit account disconnect notice he said he was busy on calls and that his direct line isn't for regular customers to call in on...ha!

I don't know why I was surprised by this. When I called in on the regular line, I had to repeat my information 3 different times the third being another "Supervisor" named Barbara who basically called me a liar (when I went over my Pay by phone experience) and couldn't or wouldn't offer any help...HORRIBLE COMPANY! I wish I didn't live in an HOA because I would just get Solar Panels and just be done with them FOREVER. My only other option is to move out of California.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

So for the past 4 years, my neighbor and I have been paying each other's power bills, this is because SoCal Edison had made a mistake and crossed our meters during set up. This had gone unnoticed as our bills were similar until this summer when my neighbor's power bill went up to $300. After that, he went on a 3-month journey of getting the runaround from SoCal Edison until they finally found the problem of switched meters.

Once the problem was found I received a $1000 bill for the difference in electrical usage. I am so frustrated by this because all the information they gave me for the past 4 years was wrong, I was never able to adjust my power use and behavior because their information was wrong. I get a bill for $60. Think I used $60 of power, not $300! I find it ridiculous that SoCal Edison is asking me to pay for their mistake. I've complained to the State of California, but I know I will lose because Edison writes the regulation rules. The only thing I can do now is to complain to the internet and hope for help. Can I sue them? Who can help me sue them? Is it worth fighting?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Power got shut off around 10 AM. Went outside to investigate, and saw a bucket truck parked in the middle of my small one lane road. I went outside to investigate the time and duration. Upon reaching the supervisor Richard ** of JLS Engineering, I was informed that the power would be off until 2 pm. As I normally work from home, I told him that I had to get out and this street was the only way in or out. His immediate response was "Well, we had let everyone know two weeks ago" and shrugged his shoulders. To which, knowing this was not right, I asked for his name and who to complain. When I returned with my camera to film the actions, he finally got his truck to move and maintained he never said he wouldn't move.

Whatever could be characterized as either a misunderstanding or borderline negligent practices, one thing is definitely not in doubt is that these contractors need to have better communication skills. I still feel had I not brought out my camera to complain a second time, they would have not moved. I was upset and unnerved enough by the confrontation to complain. I am no stranger to SCE inconveniences, as I have had better working understandings with various SCE contractors in the past (why I gave 2 stars) as we live right along power lines in a heavily forested area. But this was absolutely the worst; I was made to feel ignored, not listened to and brushed aside. SCE seriously needs to evaluate this particular team.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Recently my mobile park converted to meters. In which my power was turn off without a notice from Edison. When I try to call I got transfer like 10 times by so many represented I lost count. After trying so hard and getting nowhere and 2 days of no power, my food went bad, we lived in the dark. My wife and I decided to keep calling until we got an answer but not only did they not help no one seem to know how to help us. The manager at out park said on 3 occasion Edison had to solve this and Edison said it was the 3rd party working on them. Finally we got a hold of the 3rd party and stated that it was Edison fault.

However, Edison keep refusing to help and given us dumb and dumber ideas. No department could help and no one seem to care I was living in the dark. It's day 3 and with no power, I'm considering a lawsuit. I missed work, I'm frustrated and I can't sleep, I feel like this situation it's making me sick. Edison does not care for the customers what a disappointment.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Came home from work electric was off call Edison. They said PayPass due amount, $5 reconnect fee and a $260 deposit. I explained to the lady that I had called in yesterday to complain about the current bill amount. She said she could see that I spoke to someone and I told her if the representative would've told me the service would be disconnected I would've had her make the payment. I've been a customer for 11 years and my service has never been disconnected that they should waive the deposit.

She said there is no way to waive the 260 and they will hold the deposit for a year and if I make a late payment they will keep the deposit an extra 6 months. So I asked after the year how long it would take before the money is refunded she couldn't give me a time frame. I think she is ripping off their customers and should be investigated for fraud. This is some of the worse customer service I have ever seen. They charge you an extra 260 dollars and the service was on off for a few hours and she acted like they have to send someone out to reconnect the service until I told her that all this stuff is done remotely. SCE total rip off.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Power got shut off without notice due to a misunderstanding. Made several attempts to contact them and fix mistakes. Been 8 days already. 9/20-9/27 no power at all. It's hot and we need light. Using a generator doesn't work too much for all appliances. Have elderly and children here and Edison just turned their backs on us. 1st time in 12 years light had ever got to this point of being disconnected. Now they want a 800 deposit plus the bill which totals 1400 to turn on service. No help, no customer service, no supervisor, just always saying, "No, there is nothing we can do." Yes there is. You can turn on the power and help us with some form of arrangement. 12 years we are not going to skip out on paying. We need power and you're the only company that supplies it. Why are they so ignorant and rude.

Southern California Edison Company Information