1.30/5

Need a utility company?

California

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

376 Southern California Edison Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I moved into my new apartment back in April of 2018. I paid my deposit and thought all was good. From May of 2018 up to January 2019 Edison did not bill me for my usage. Whenever I would log in it would say I have a credit but would never show I had anything due. Now they are charging me $478.25 for all the months THEY forgot to bill me for. I called them to dispute it and the representative on the phone told me there was nothing they could do about it and since I used the electricity for all those months they couldn't waive or lower any of the fees although they messed up. She told me all she could do was apologize for their mess up and set me up on a payment arrangement.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I had a very similar problem another person complained about. I have had non-stop billing problems for the past year. I was doing auto pay for a while with SCE. My bank account got hacked, I closed the bank account and I stopped Auto Pay. They didn't stop auto pay. SCE continued to bill my closed account and when the payment was not made, they refused to allow payment by check or online and reported to the credit bureaus. I thought, not problem, I will call them, explain the situation and they will fix it, like most other responsible businesses. I have been a customer since the early 1970 with a stellar payment history with SCE. They will fix the problem. Nope - you can't talk to a human being as SCE. (I won't even launch into why we have the highest electrical rates in the county - explain that to me.)

I am now paying my SCE bill through my bank but still sending checks in just so they have to burn labor and postage to return them. It is time to break up SCE and bring competitive pricing into the electric market in Southern California. (I can hear them now screaming how that is not possible – fixed wiring, etc. It is possible and should be done – Break up SCE – One of the worst run companies. If you like socialism, you will like SCE!)

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I recently paid my bill using the app Jan 23. Same day I paid my gas bill. I was prompted to enter my bank account information. This was the only way it allowed me to pay it. Today I received a letter stating I had a check restriction and will not be allowed to pay online and I need to pay them for the returned check. I called and after talking to a rude representative Ruth (she didn’t care to talk to me or explain what was going on just passed me off to someone else). I found out that the system used my closed bank account even though I updated my account information TWICE. So every time I sent paid it returned with a code account closed.

It doesn’t make sense. I used the same information for my gas bill and no problems. She proceeded to tell me that this has happened two times and put a restriction. I asked her if she can tell me when was the first notice sent out because this was the first I’m hearing about this and she couldn’t answer. They never sent it out... This is a scam and I don’t trust this company!!! Just another way to rip people off and take no blame for a online system that doesn’t work.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I moved from my old address to the new one. The service from SCE was moved. But the billing was still ongoing. It was just a little amount of money, $15.96 but it was just frustrating that they moved the service but still billing me from the old one! I told them, and said from the billing department that yes, I called and canceled and moved my service, but for some reason it was not shut off! And now they don’t want to waive the $15.96. I don’t see the logic, I don’t understand and I’m really pissed off. I spoke to Amanda at the billing department from SCE! So ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I received an email from SCE confirming that I made a payment on my acct. Email contained a lot of my personal info including the bank acct # I used to pay my bill. I felt this much info didn't need to be in an email so I tried contacting SCE by phone (the only way, they don't accept emails) I was bounced around on the phone from menu to menu with no way of contacting a rep.

After 25 minutes, I FINALLY found a menu with a rep option & after having to wait through 2 more menu options I finally got a rep on the line. When I tried to speak, she said "I can't hear you". Then she repeated it a couple more times and I finally disconnected my phone. Clearly SCE does not care what their customers think, or even if they have a billing issue, etc. I was shocked because I never called SCE before. I'm sure if I didn't pay my bill promptly, my service would be disconnected immediately and I would have no recourse to reconnect it. For a public service utility that is a monopoly in SoCal, I can understand why they don't care... Customers have no recourse or any other electric company to go to. Disgusting!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southern California Edison?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

For over three weeks, I have daily gone onto the SC Edison Website to obtain our last three bills but that function still does not work. I called Edison over a week ago & was told they were revising their website & it "needed just a few more tweaks." Really? Why would any company put a website into production without all the functions? Edison emails a bill with a due date, but won't provide a bill so verify. Isn't that on the verge of fraud?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I called to connect my electric to the residence due to a mishap with the location I’m renting through. I go through the process run my credit with a soft hit and provided all supporting documents as disclosed to the email needed. I then ask for a timeframe in regards to when the services will be back available. It was explained same day. As with a smart system they just have to send a signal and to call back if I haven’t received any power before I got work. I get home, no power, kids out in the dark and I have to make arrangements Edison states they aren’t responsible for. I then reach and escalate the matter to a supervisor David and I’m provided a poor response in regards to the account. It's noted and all that. There's nothing that can be done as we need to wait the business days it requires us to address the matter.

I explained if I was presented with that from the beginning I could have looked and arranged a few things. I then moved forward and stated that this is a training concern where the information delivered to me was inaccurate. So he stated, "It’s not my department" and provided contact # 877-890-2486. I stated, "Is there someone I can speak with at the point of contact." He says, "Yes." I then proceed to call. Their voicemail is full. Messages can’t be left. The operator is unavailable and the call drops on me per Edison due to no remaining options.

Welcome to inefficiency. Kids are now without power due to Edison. I have to wait all weekend as I have no timeframe to look forward for. No number to call for help. Spoiled food they won’t replace. And to top it all off I’m in probation for a new career that requires my flexibility with hours. Edison needs some serious revaluation done. Including some revamping of processes for escalations. Empower your employees to make the right decision. Otherwise what good are you. Just another bill we’re forced to pay. Absolutely no help.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Since July 2018 I have been expecting a refund from a deposit made to SCE. See account # **, the account is inactive. Please take care of your customers!! Pay the deposits back!! How much longer we have to wait!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

They shut off my electric, to get it back on I have to pay cash right away before 7pm to get it back on same night. $1154.00, 25.00 reconnect fee, and deposit of 2600.00 had to pay $3,770.00 before 7pm to get it back on same day, which I did... 12 hours later still not on! Stated on my receipt would be on in the next 4 hours... Never did! I asked 3 Edison reps how they come out with the amount of the deposit?? They all said they get your highest bill in the last 12 months and multiply by 2 , which that's against California's State regulations!! Hahaha, I've already done the paperwork for a class action lawsuit on deposit charging. Edison isn't so bright... hahaha... and I filed a claim to get reimbursed for all of my time, gas, and wages, all my overhead, like the loss sales for the day... remember people the bigger the company the better to sue them for wrong doings... have a great day! LOOK UP THE lawsuit to join...

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have been an SCE customer for 50 years and a SCE retiree. I liked logging in and paying my bill by "ECheck." It was convenient and free. I would also pay ahead with sometimes up to $200 that covers 3-5 months. Loved it. NOW they are connected with JPMChase and charge $1.65 for any and all online payments if you don't have automatic direct payment set up. I NEVER have, nor will I ever have in the future, automatic direct payment set up for ANY company. I will have to go back to the old SNAIL MAIL I guess and will now always wait until the week of due date to send in. Customer service is going backwards.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I have been with SCE over 28 years, 17 whole living I. My current home obviously they ALWAYS get their money. Most recently my bill has tripled in amount dues, the bill is so confusing even the customer service department has difficulty explaining or understanding what it means but always manages to make it benefit SCE. I finally decided to go ahead and avoid the confusion by enrolling in auto pay on Sept 1, 2018. This same day made my payment of 501.17 bring me to a zero balance. I then get a disconnection notice a few days later, since I’m enrolled in auto pay I figure, the payment is just taking a few days to process, call back to SCE and they ensure me that I am Indeed signed up for automatic pay not to worry.

Few days after that I check my account again now shows 501.17 due by 11/05/2018, but the online info shows a balance of zero. So on 10/26/2018 while no one is home SCE shows up and disconnects our electricity. I have a party scheduled for Sat 10/27/2018, 8 o’clock am. I contact SCE who confirms I have a zero balance and that my payment was made after the power had been shut off. EXCUSE ME I am signed for auto pay. How is that my fault. I paid this bill a month ago and they are just now processing it (NO DOUBT IN AN ATTEMPT TO NOW CHARGE ME A RECONNECTION FEE). This company is so UNDERHANDED AND CONTINUOUSLY ROBBING their customer of their hard earning money.

I called SCE back a second time. The girls said service is scheduled to be turned back on by close of business on Saturday. I informed her as well as Sophia the first representative that we have medical needs that require electricity. Here it is 1 am STILL NO POWER FOR PAYING CUSTOMERS. I was forced to relocation my party, have my mother stay with other family members because of her medical needs and not one person at SCE cab give me any answers or give half a crap about their customer. I will be filing a formal complaint and a claim. Looks like solar here I come. A angry loyal customer.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

In December 2015 I moved into an apartment in Palm Springs, California. The electrical service at my complex was installed in July 2015 about 5 months before I moved in. Shortly after moving in I noticed a spike in my electrical bill so I contacted SCE requesting that they send out a technician to investigate the matter; from December 2015 to December 2017 I contacted SCE approximately 10 times. In December 2017 SCE sent out a technician to my complex when my neighbor's service was mistakenly disconnected. During their investigation SCE learned that the meters in apartment 3 and 4 were crossed. At this point I have overpaid an estimated $200.00 for the past 2 years; to make matter worse SCE is hounding me for an unpaid balance of $1,600.00 and have disconnected my service twice. I'm presently looking for legal assistance to help me resolve this matter. I can be reached at the following email address: **.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have take over a business. I never know my unit have 2 meters. Meter on my name since transferred to new owner no problem because I taking care all my bills never miss or late (this meter is outside the building). Now, SCE turn off my service with the reason this meter (inside building) never paying the BILLS since 2008. All the prior owner of this unit, they never know either. They said, the bill is more than $15,000. If a person, does not pay the bill, then get a NOTICE, after that will shut-off right away. 10 years. Never Shut off... They ask me to taking the bills then service is on. IDIOT. Period, if I suppose to pay the bills. I am telling to all my friends, they laughing and response "Idiot... Are you kidding me?" SCE... Is untouchable... Only SCE providing energy here.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I am paying upwards of $450 a month attributed to that high usage BS. Ok, so I used my air conditioner more than normal because we had a hot California summer this year. My bill has literally gone up 50 to 75 percent every month. Is solar hitting you that hard SCE, that you have to piss on the consumer? Someone needs to investigate the logistics of this crappy overcharging racket. Just because SCE is seemingly untouchable, somebody must be making noise about this scam. Or maybe we are being herded, like sheep, to solar. Funny how a power company can make you feel powerless... pun intended.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I have been unfortunately a customer with this disgusting company for many years. I am 83 years of age. My daughter takes care of everything for me because I do not drive and I do not use the computer. When the bill was due my daughter was out of the country and I didn't know the bill was due. They turned off the electricity and now they are asking for a deposit. I explained to them the situation and they did not care one bit. I showed them proof of what they asked for which was my daughters itinerary so I can prove to them that she was out of the country that morning and that she came the same day from her trip when they shut off the electricity. Then they came up with another excuse that they didn't care meanwhile they told me to show them the proof.

They wanted a $260 security deposit. I told them I am on social security and I am very limited on my funds. They did not care one bit. I have never ever in all my years I have lived here has my electricity been shut off. They know exactly how much money I make every month. I told them that I do not have the money to pay for the deposit and they did not care. They only care about money. Someone who has had electricity all their lives and I am 82 years of age it shows their consideration. I have to borrow money now for the deposit. This company is unbelievable the attitude they have towards senior citizen. The worse company I have ever dealt with in my life. Shame on them, not caring if an 82 year old has money for food because I have to give the security deposit. Disgusting. I will never ever say anything good about these thieves.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I keep hearing from SCE that I'm using too much energy and if I need to be cooler, to get in my car and drive to a local library that has air conditioning. I have air conditioning and don't use it for more than 4 hours a day. There is also a gadget on my air conditioner that allows SCE to turn it off if demand is too high. I'm 82 years old and have shortness of breath. I don't think I should have to drive somewhere to cool off. What's wrong with these people? I pay my bills in full each month. I think that's good enough. I cannot deal with the 80 degree heat and need them to give me a break.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Fifth All Day Power Outage. Repeatedly over the course of about a year SCE has felt it just fine to turn off power generally about 9 or 11 hrs (they have not once finished before their planned time of 8 hours) in the most critically hot time of the year for our location. This has occurred repeatedly last summer and now this summer. They are replacing power poles which is fine; however instead of doing the work with a single outage to each neighborhood and moving on, they keep returning with zero concern for elderly or infirm residents and pets that can potentially become critically ill from the heat.

No attempt has been made to keep this work streamlined, organized and safe. When they do work on the street, they are loud and disruptive with workers shouting and playing their radios, zooming around with their trucks, blocking residents and so forth. This company needs restructuring with improved policy towards their clients. They are the only game in town with ever increasing rates and snotty comments about our power usage (for which we pay a huge amount) on every bill we receive. Would love to be free of them and their game playing.

Original review: March 23, 2018

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. The first widespread power outage was supposed to be for a few hours. They were analyzing it. Why give an estimated time if you don't know what it is. Ridiculous. Every time you called more extensions and lies. Two days without power. An entire refrigerator of food gone. They said faulty equipment. But they fixed it. Happened again last week. Are we still hooked up to faulty equipment? Did you just say you fixed it so mad people will stop calling? Third time, power out. No idea of any restoration time but they're on it. I guess I'm still hooked up to faulty equipment or they still haven't fixed the original problem and just keep stringing everyone along. No confidence in the equipment or the company. Wouldn't trust you people with flashlights. Worst utility company EVER.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I have been trying to find a way to get back. Without a problem with this company. Due to me accidentally forgetting to send a payment on my security deposit. Every time someone misses a payment I guess they have to pay another deposit again.

Original review: March 1, 2018

SCE is a great company that focuses on customer satisfaction as well as focusing on the welfare of their employees. They are great! This huge company actually cares!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I find it hard to believe that when summer comes, I don't ever turn on my A/C but yet my bill goes up. I wish there was a mock house used by investigators to see if the billing is correct.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

So. Cal Edison has always responded to a service call quickly. Always professional and courteous and on time. Any power failures have been corrected quickly.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I'm very satisfied with this company. It took them 3 yrs to credit my deposit but it had interest to it so that was fine with me. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

A generational electric supplier. Still think it's way too much regardless of whom you're with. But SCE has great rebate and also low income schedules and are always able to push bills if you can't make the due date. Great for outdoor overhead powerlines and tree trimming at their expense.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Southern California Edison is extremely expensive and abusive increasing rates, especially when you are retired and living in a fix income, very frustrating. They should be more considerate of customers, I wonder about the kind of salaries their management earns at the expense of their customers like myself, I am sure well above of what I ever earned.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

SCE is a monopoly, and they know it. They are in perpetual negotiations with the Public Utilities Commission for ever rising power charges. Their product is over-priced and the reliability is questionable. I have had several outages lately, the longest being over 12 hours last winter during a heavy rainstorm. In addition, their tiered charging structure penalizes the customer for using Air Conditioning when we need it the most. I'm retired and my sick wife and I are normally stuck in the house on hot summer days where the outside temperature often exceeds 90 degrees. Our bill is outsized compared to the power we consume when compared with neighboring communities such as Anaheim. SCE is not a customer-friendly company.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

As good as a utility company can be, Southern California Edison fits the bill, no pun intended. My dealings with them have always been positive. No issues.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

A couple months ago we received a letter stating we use more electricity than our neighbors. I think Edison was hoping that we don't talk to each other because every neighbor that we talked to got the same letter. These ** are feeling the loss to solar and they are trying to recoup the losses from all the current customers. CROOKS!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

We live in a 2 bedroom apartment and the billing is more than the 5 bedroom home with pool we previously lived in. SCE is unwilling to assist in determining the high cost accrued by residents here at the complex.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

These people do not care at all about their customers. They have the least helpful Customer Service department I've ever seen and their Bill Pay by Phone is a complete scam. In November, I paid my regular account and my deposit account (which I had to have for missing a payment arrangement on one of my horrendous summer electric bills) over the phone using my bank debit card. I got confirmation #'s for both transactions and didn't think anything of it until I received a disconnect notice in December on my regular account. After finally getting nowhere with the CSR on the phone, I reached a supervisor named Anthony, who seemed to actually care and want to help. He even gave me his DIRECT LINE AND BUSINESS HOURS TO CALL HIM DIRECT - so - today when I called him about my deposit account disconnect notice he said he was busy on calls and that his direct line isn't for regular customers to call in on...ha!

I don't know why I was surprised by this. When I called in on the regular line, I had to repeat my information 3 different times the third being another "Supervisor" named Barbara who basically called me a liar (when I went over my Pay by phone experience) and couldn't or wouldn't offer any help...HORRIBLE COMPANY! I wish I didn't live in an HOA because I would just get Solar Panels and just be done with them FOREVER. My only other option is to move out of California.

Southern California Edison Company Information