2. Homeowners

California

3.8/5 (260 ratings)

About Southern California Edison

Southern California Edison Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southern California Edison?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southern California Edison?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

I've had solar panel for 3 years. Every single year my system overproduces what I use by @3500 kw per year, and they think I owe them over $3K for each year. They won't send a tech to look at my system and keep giving me the runaround and not responding when someone needs to come and see their meter system is not functioning properly. What can I do?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I signed up for this program to save money on my electric bill. I was told it would only be up to 6 hours a few and only when necessary and would not damage my unit. Each time they turn it off my unit does not reset until the next day and this is after I have to turn the breakers off and on 3 times. So I am without air for 12 plus hours in the heat of the inland empire. Sce decision to turn off the ac unit during the heat waves when the temperature are at a high dangerous level is beyond me. I have high blood pressure and my daughter has a new born baby at home. I contacted SCE after my air was off for 5 days because of their program and I told them I was falling Ill, my daughter was having nosebleeds and the baby was getting heat rash and unable to sleep. I demanded to be removed from the program due to health issues as stated in the contract I have the right to cancel before 12 months.

I asked that the device be removed from my private property. A service ticket was order and they said someone will be at my home in 3 to 7 business days to remove it and check my unit. Now 3 weeks later we have another heat wave with temperatures at 120 degrees and SCE takes it upon themselves to turn off my ac for the 3 day weekend. The first day I got no answer to my message until 8pm when the tech acted as if she did not know why I was still on the program and said she will contact the supervisor. Day 2 and my ac is off again and no one is answering me. We are all feeling Ill again, my house is 90 degrees inside with no relief any time soon.

Original review: July 10, 2020

I have been denied service while maintaining a good payment history, I have been charged for services that were never used, treated very poorly by the staff and even had one staff member use profanity during the call. I wish that there was a different company to go through, however there is none. If you you move to California beware that you will have to use these scammers and will be provided with profanity, horrible service, and most likely be denied service even if you pay your bill on time.

Original review: May 7, 2020

We received a letter from what looks like a third party, "marketplace" (Edison?) that we had used more electricity than anyone else in the neighborhood. Not possible, an absolute lie! What is clear, that Edison is basing their billing on this marketplace info, not on a "ghost" employee supposedly reading the meter. This story is way too long to tell all that has happened, but we were over billed several times. We started taking pictures of the meter and it clearly shows that the numbers on the bill are way off compared to the real meter read!!

Contacted Consumer Affairs Branch from CPUC and of course they are on SCE side, more lies. They say it was a simple mistake. For real! A "mistake" shown on paper. This is purposely done by SCE in the hope that customers will let it slide. I am tired of being bullied by SCE. CPUC did nothing and consider the case closed. As long as they keep estimating, this case is never closed to me. Note: one of the investors in SCE.... CPUC, therefore filing complaints with them is useless!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

I am upset about the current information about power outages in my area. First, I did not receive a notice about an outage on February 8, 2020 in my area. I received a text message yesterday, February 7th stating that my power would be out on February 8th from midnight until 2:00pm on Sunday. My neighbor said she received a notice stating power would be out on the 8th from 8:30am until 2:00pm on the 8th. It was confirmed by a phone call to SCE. It did not happen. I checked the website map and was even more confused. It was perhaps the most confusing map ever with no explanation as to what the colors meant. Secondly, why is this work (requiring an outage) being performed on a weekend when families are home? I am sure the employees doing the work are being paid double or triple time which will be passed on to the customers. All around VERY POOR planning and information on the part of SCE.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

My bill for Edison showed electricity was being used in my home during a power outage in my area. I called and informed them it was incorrect and received a call back 2 weeks later. They sent out a technician to test the meter, which showed a dip in usage when we didn't have power. The lady dealing with my case called me back and told me the opposite, that our meter matched the information they had. I was at home without power for 2 days and I find it very concerning that Edison is claiming they do not know the correct dates and times a power outage occurred...It's also very concerning that they are claiming our meter is accurate. How long have they been overbilling us? I will be filing a claim with CPUC.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

We installed rooftop solar January 2019 and were forced to a net metering TOU plan with SoCal Edison. Since that time until now, SoCal Edison has never applied our credits for solar power generation. We recognized this excessive billing scenario in late 2019 after wondering why our power bills month after month seemed to never reflect the projected lower monthly amounts our solar vendor sales person had forecasted. So we called SoCal Edison Dec 2019 to inquire about the accuracy of our bills and were informed that they were aware our bill was not correct. They were aware that many accounts had not been properly profiled for net metering and all those were being overcharged.

So we asked when this would be resolved. The phone rep said they have no date. So we asked how can we get our refund for the many months of excessive payments, estimated to total hundreds of dollars. The phone rep said there is no plan at this time. So we stated that we must refuse to pay the current invoice because it is incorrectly overcharging us, and them being completely aware of the inaccuracy. The phone rep said she can extend the demanded payment until the next billing cycle but that WE have to call every billing cycle in order to continue to extend (their knowingly inaccurate overcharges).

So we sent written correspondence to SoCal Edison stating that we refuse to pay any bill that is knowingly overcharging us, and if they discontinue our service as a result, we will sue them for all costs associated with their willful misconduct. SoCal Edison then sent us the next month's bill which was again an overcharge not reflecting our credits for solar generation AND it included a late payment charge for the previous month that was to have been extended.

SoCal Edison IS knowingly overcharging customers. SoCal Edison is demonstrating no concern that they have been overpaid by customers for months. SoCal Edison conveys that they have no obligation to meet a reasonable time frame to refund those overpayments. SoCal Edison is doing this because utility customers have no other provider to replace SoCal Edison with in order provide the essential life service of electrical power to their home. This is willful misconduct. This is fraud. This is extortion. This is a situation ripe for a lawsuit.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

This utility should be shut down for incompetence. I lived in an apartment for 1.5 years and they billed me monthly for a few months before letting me know that they had some sort of issue and couldn't bill me until much later. From March 2019 until I shut down my account in October 2019 I had no bill. I paid $99 to shut down my power and turn off my account. Then they sent me a bill a month later with no explanation for another $90. They sent me reminders about it until January, so I finally called to ask what the bill was for since I shut down my account and paid the closing fees. They let me know that it was my late bill for March-October, with no explanation for how it jumped from $90 in November to suddenly $204 in January.

Phone support seems surprised that I would want to know what I'm paying for, and is absolutely unprofessional. The woman on the phone told me, "I don't know if you can't understand me or what, but I just clearly explained the charges." The charges she rattled off on the phone don't match their online monthly charges, by the way, but that makes sense to them because they go through another power provider (which was not mentioned to me in all 1.5 years of paying them).

I had to request a written statement to explain why I was suddenly paying more than $50 per month for power when my bills have always been about $25 per month. It's a huge mess, and their customer service department insists that I'm just "confused" about why their billing is inconsistent and doesn't make any sense. If you have any choice in the matter, go with ANY OTHER PROVIDER besides SCE. If you are in an area with no other choices, it might be best to just invest in solar panels - they are that ridiculous and disorganized.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

My family lost the back of our house, back yard, trees, plants and our fence melted. Our power was shut off on the morning of the fire, we had NO notice until the fire was on the hill behind us. In addition to the loss I already mentioned, we had gone to the grocery store the night before and filled our fridge, that feeds four people. I work for an amazing company that reimburses you for loss during a natural disaster. All I needed from the electric company was documentation of our power being shut off.

I called SCE and they proceeded to put me on hold to speak with a supervisor to see how to go about getting that document. A couple minutes later, the representative comes back on the phone and tells me that they can't provide me with that information. I pleaded with them just to get a text, email or note so I could be reimbursed for that $300 we lost. They refused. I proceeded to tell them that they were responsible for many losses that occurred during this fire and now they have just added to it. They are a cruel, selfish, hateful company. If you have another option, use it!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Their website is inadequate by fact. They do not allow the user to transfer to a new bank account. If you do this, they will get confused. If they charge the old one, which they will. First, they will send many letters and charge fees. Then they get paid plus interest. Then they block you from paying future costs, unless you drive 40 miles to a collections service to pay cash in person. Excellent idea from people who do not live in the real world.

Southern California Edison Company Information