1.30/5

California

Need a utility company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Southern California Edison Reviews

Original review: June 9, 2019

My application for NEM was terminated unfairly. During the application process it was never DISCLOSED to me that there was a 10 day response limit. Thereafter another application and payment of $75 is necessary. Hard to believe considering how technical and difficult the application is? This is not how professional people work, they disclose up front what the time line and restrictions are not after you paid your fees from a technician down the line.

I spoke to customer service and was directed to make email complaint to customer generation and have waited a week for a response. None has come. Very difficult to reduce our carbon footprint when SCE games the application process with roadblocks with non disclosure of the 10 day limit. I can see the frustration others have with SCE and believe this should be rectified and for me to continue with the original application with its many technical details rather than start again at the cost of time and another $75.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Edison is a crooked company. My business account at one time was past due, and with my own faults, I forgot to pay it that day before 5 pm on a Friday. The electricity is needed in my business since it's a restaurant. The past due balance was $1,157.00. I then went to a location that takes Edison payments. When I got there, they told me my actual that was due was $3,900, due, to a new deposit that was required to turn back my electricity! I was planning on paying that kind of bill. They wouldn't work with me and demanded it or no lights! I had to shut down my business the next day to get the deposit together.

I closed that account recently and requested my deposit check back! After whatever they deducted from that total, I received the check for $1,750.00. I went to cash it, at their Chase Bank, and the Chase gave me the check back and said Edison doesn't have enough funds in the acct! I looked up Edison news and it seems like they might have done or gonna file for bankruptcy! That's my money that should never be touched since it was my deposit!! They should not use it elsewhere with our my permission! All I know is they made me shut my business for the day, 'cause they wouldn't work with me. That was a bad night for me, and this is what I get???!!! A bounced refund check from Edison!!??!! That's just bad business practice!! Now how about I charge them a bounced check fee with interest and charge a late fee!!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: April 15, 2019

I have been trying to get a bill from SCE since 10/2018. Seems SCE can't figure that out maybe after tweeting this out someone will step up and fix the problem. My last bill that I have received was 9/2018. I called when I noticed my meter said FAT ERROR and that was back in October - yes 6 months ago!!! I know what that means - my meter is not working. Since then in January they said, "You're right, your meter was not working" and they came out and replaced it. I have spoke to several people at SCE 10+ and they keep saying it's a billing issue, It's really an SCE employee issue. I am putting Southern California Edison on NOTICE that I will NOT pay an estimated bill and I want to see day to day usage. I have been with SCE since 6/88 and have NEVER been late on a payment. Come on SCE. Get it together!!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I moved into my new apartment back in April of 2018. I paid my deposit and thought all was good. From May of 2018 up to January 2019 Edison did not bill me for my usage. Whenever I would log in it would say I have a credit but would never show I had anything due. Now they are charging me $478.25 for all the months THEY forgot to bill me for. I called them to dispute it and the representative on the phone told me there was nothing they could do about it and since I used the electricity for all those months they couldn't waive or lower any of the fees although they messed up. She told me all she could do was apologize for their mess up and set me up on a payment arrangement.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I had a very similar problem another person complained about. I have had non-stop billing problems for the past year. I was doing auto pay for a while with SCE. My bank account got hacked, I closed the bank account and I stopped Auto Pay. They didn't stop auto pay. SCE continued to bill my closed account and when the payment was not made, they refused to allow payment by check or online and reported to the credit bureaus. I thought, not problem, I will call them, explain the situation and they will fix it, like most other responsible businesses. I have been a customer since the early 1970 with a stellar payment history with SCE. They will fix the problem. Nope - you can't talk to a human being as SCE. (I won't even launch into why we have the highest electrical rates in the county - explain that to me.)

I am now paying my SCE bill through my bank but still sending checks in just so they have to burn labor and postage to return them. It is time to break up SCE and bring competitive pricing into the electric market in Southern California. (I can hear them now screaming how that is not possible – fixed wiring, etc. It is possible and should be done – Break up SCE – One of the worst run companies. If you like socialism, you will like SCE!)

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southern California Edison?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I recently paid my bill using the app Jan 23. Same day I paid my gas bill. I was prompted to enter my bank account information. This was the only way it allowed me to pay it. Today I received a letter stating I had a check restriction and will not be allowed to pay online and I need to pay them for the returned check. I called and after talking to a rude representative Ruth (she didn’t care to talk to me or explain what was going on just passed me off to someone else). I found out that the system used my closed bank account even though I updated my account information TWICE. So every time I sent paid it returned with a code account closed.

It doesn’t make sense. I used the same information for my gas bill and no problems. She proceeded to tell me that this has happened two times and put a restriction. I asked her if she can tell me when was the first notice sent out because this was the first I’m hearing about this and she couldn’t answer. They never sent it out... This is a scam and I don’t trust this company!!! Just another way to rip people off and take no blame for a online system that doesn’t work.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I moved from my old address to the new one. The service from SCE was moved. But the billing was still ongoing. It was just a little amount of money, $15.96 but it was just frustrating that they moved the service but still billing me from the old one! I told them, and said from the billing department that yes, I called and canceled and moved my service, but for some reason it was not shut off! And now they don’t want to waive the $15.96. I don’t see the logic, I don’t understand and I’m really pissed off. I spoke to Amanda at the billing department from SCE! So ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I received an email from SCE confirming that I made a payment on my acct. Email contained a lot of my personal info including the bank acct # I used to pay my bill. I felt this much info didn't need to be in an email so I tried contacting SCE by phone (the only way, they don't accept emails) I was bounced around on the phone from menu to menu with no way of contacting a rep.

After 25 minutes, I FINALLY found a menu with a rep option & after having to wait through 2 more menu options I finally got a rep on the line. When I tried to speak, she said "I can't hear you". Then she repeated it a couple more times and I finally disconnected my phone. Clearly SCE does not care what their customers think, or even if they have a billing issue, etc. I was shocked because I never called SCE before. I'm sure if I didn't pay my bill promptly, my service would be disconnected immediately and I would have no recourse to reconnect it. For a public service utility that is a monopoly in SoCal, I can understand why they don't care... Customers have no recourse or any other electric company to go to. Disgusting!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

For over three weeks, I have daily gone onto the SC Edison Website to obtain our last three bills but that function still does not work. I called Edison over a week ago & was told they were revising their website & it "needed just a few more tweaks." Really? Why would any company put a website into production without all the functions? Edison emails a bill with a due date, but won't provide a bill so verify. Isn't that on the verge of fraud?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I called to connect my electric to the residence due to a mishap with the location I’m renting through. I go through the process run my credit with a soft hit and provided all supporting documents as disclosed to the email needed. I then ask for a timeframe in regards to when the services will be back available. It was explained same day. As with a smart system they just have to send a signal and to call back if I haven’t received any power before I got work. I get home, no power, kids out in the dark and I have to make arrangements Edison states they aren’t responsible for. I then reach and escalate the matter to a supervisor David and I’m provided a poor response in regards to the account. It's noted and all that. There's nothing that can be done as we need to wait the business days it requires us to address the matter.

I explained if I was presented with that from the beginning I could have looked and arranged a few things. I then moved forward and stated that this is a training concern where the information delivered to me was inaccurate. So he stated, "It’s not my department" and provided contact # 877-890-2486. I stated, "Is there someone I can speak with at the point of contact." He says, "Yes." I then proceed to call. Their voicemail is full. Messages can’t be left. The operator is unavailable and the call drops on me per Edison due to no remaining options.

Welcome to inefficiency. Kids are now without power due to Edison. I have to wait all weekend as I have no timeframe to look forward for. No number to call for help. Spoiled food they won’t replace. And to top it all off I’m in probation for a new career that requires my flexibility with hours. Edison needs some serious revaluation done. Including some revamping of processes for escalations. Empower your employees to make the right decision. Otherwise what good are you. Just another bill we’re forced to pay. Absolutely no help.

Southern California Edison Company Information