2. Homeowners

California

3.9/5 (257 ratings)

About Southern California Edison

Southern California Edison Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southern California Edison?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southern California Edison?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

My bill for Edison showed electricity was being used in my home during a power outage in my area. I called and informed them it was incorrect and received a call back 2 weeks later. They sent out a technician to test the meter, which showed a dip in usage when we didn't have power. The lady dealing with my case called me back and told me the opposite, that our meter matched the information they had. I was at home without power for 2 days and I find it very concerning that Edison is claiming they do not know the correct dates and times a power outage occurred...It's also very concerning that they are claiming our meter is accurate. How long have they been overbilling us? I will be filing a claim with CPUC.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

We installed rooftop solar January 2019 and were forced to a net metering TOU plan with SoCal Edison. Since that time until now, SoCal Edison has never applied our credits for solar power generation. We recognized this excessive billing scenario in late 2019 after wondering why our power bills month after month seemed to never reflect the projected lower monthly amounts our solar vendor sales person had forecasted. So we called SoCal Edison Dec 2019 to inquire about the accuracy of our bills and were informed that they were aware our bill was not correct. They were aware that many accounts had not been properly profiled for net metering and all those were being overcharged.

So we asked when this would be resolved. The phone rep said they have no date. So we asked how can we get our refund for the many months of excessive payments, estimated to total hundreds of dollars. The phone rep said there is no plan at this time. So we stated that we must refuse to pay the current invoice because it is incorrectly overcharging us, and them being completely aware of the inaccuracy. The phone rep said she can extend the demanded payment until the next billing cycle but that WE have to call every billing cycle in order to continue to extend (their knowingly inaccurate overcharges).

So we sent written correspondence to SoCal Edison stating that we refuse to pay any bill that is knowingly overcharging us, and if they discontinue our service as a result, we will sue them for all costs associated with their willful misconduct. SoCal Edison then sent us the next month's bill which was again an overcharge not reflecting our credits for solar generation AND it included a late payment charge for the previous month that was to have been extended.

SoCal Edison IS knowingly overcharging customers. SoCal Edison is demonstrating no concern that they have been overpaid by customers for months. SoCal Edison conveys that they have no obligation to meet a reasonable time frame to refund those overpayments. SoCal Edison is doing this because utility customers have no other provider to replace SoCal Edison with in order provide the essential life service of electrical power to their home. This is willful misconduct. This is fraud. This is extortion. This is a situation ripe for a lawsuit.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

This utility should be shut down for incompetence. I lived in an apartment for 1.5 years and they billed me monthly for a few months before letting me know that they had some sort of issue and couldn't bill me until much later. From March 2019 until I shut down my account in October 2019 I had no bill. I paid $99 to shut down my power and turn off my account. Then they sent me a bill a month later with no explanation for another $90. They sent me reminders about it until January, so I finally called to ask what the bill was for since I shut down my account and paid the closing fees. They let me know that it was my late bill for March-October, with no explanation for how it jumped from $90 in November to suddenly $204 in January.

Phone support seems surprised that I would want to know what I'm paying for, and is absolutely unprofessional. The woman on the phone told me, "I don't know if you can't understand me or what, but I just clearly explained the charges." The charges she rattled off on the phone don't match their online monthly charges, by the way, but that makes sense to them because they go through another power provider (which was not mentioned to me in all 1.5 years of paying them).

I had to request a written statement to explain why I was suddenly paying more than $50 per month for power when my bills have always been about $25 per month. It's a huge mess, and their customer service department insists that I'm just "confused" about why their billing is inconsistent and doesn't make any sense. If you have any choice in the matter, go with ANY OTHER PROVIDER besides SCE. If you are in an area with no other choices, it might be best to just invest in solar panels - they are that ridiculous and disorganized.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

My family lost the back of our house, back yard, trees, plants and our fence melted. Our power was shut off on the morning of the fire, we had NO notice until the fire was on the hill behind us. In addition to the loss I already mentioned, we had gone to the grocery store the night before and filled our fridge, that feeds four people. I work for an amazing company that reimburses you for loss during a natural disaster. All I needed from the electric company was documentation of our power being shut off.

I called SCE and they proceeded to put me on hold to speak with a supervisor to see how to go about getting that document. A couple minutes later, the representative comes back on the phone and tells me that they can't provide me with that information. I pleaded with them just to get a text, email or note so I could be reimbursed for that $300 we lost. They refused. I proceeded to tell them that they were responsible for many losses that occurred during this fire and now they have just added to it. They are a cruel, selfish, hateful company. If you have another option, use it!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Their website is inadequate by fact. They do not allow the user to transfer to a new bank account. If you do this, they will get confused. If they charge the old one, which they will. First, they will send many letters and charge fees. Then they get paid plus interest. Then they block you from paying future costs, unless you drive 40 miles to a collections service to pay cash in person. Excellent idea from people who do not live in the real world.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I moved to Irvine in February 2019 and since then no bills show up on Edison website. When I called them 3 times during the last 6 months, the answer was always the same - they have been having billing issues, they would send an email when it's fixed and I wouldn't be responsible for any late fees. I am planning to move out in 2 months and honestly, have no idea whether I am going to receive the bill (which I suppose will be a large amount if I do) or not.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

After receiving a $750 bill for August, 2019 I decided it was time to get serious and investigate what the loads are and minimize any I can. I am an aerospace engineer and am fortunate to have the test equipment and knowledge to do this task. Using the Edison Daily/Hourly usage web application I was able to reduce the daily usage by 50%. I also had a consultation with a solar company and want to consider going 100% solar and get Edison out of my wallet. Unfortunately, Edison stopped providing daily/hourly usage on Sept 12 and it is now September 20 and it is still not available.

The end of the year is rapidly approaching and the federal rebates are scheduled to end on Dec 31 of this year. The solar company needs accurate usage information in order to size the system and we are dead in the water until Edison restores the usage data to customers. Edison is a monopoly and there are no alternate sources of grid power. The California Public Utilities Commission is supposed to represent the interests of the consumer and from what I have seen, they are simply political hacks that are appointed by the governor and the public has no direct influence in selecting them. It is time to take back our state and replace the governor and the PUC.

There also needs to be alternate sources of purchasing power from the grid. The alternate companies of several years ago seem to have disappeared, probably because Edison added on so much in transmission fees that it was no longer practical. If there is any political group dedicated to cleaning house in the PUC and representing the consumer, it would be advantageous if it were posted on this site. In a competitive environment, Edison would probably have fired the VP of the IT department and replaced him/her with someone competent. Unfortunately, as a monopoly we can see that this does not happen when the customers/consumers have a PUC that is not representing the interests of the consumer.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I run a small business with my wife and because are payments haven’t been on time, they are charging us $2155 as a deposit or they will shut our electricity off. We service a small community and are struggling but that makes no difference to them. They have the monopoly and do whatever they want. If we are having a hard time paying a $900 bill, how do they expect us to come up with $2155 for them to hold as long as they want? We still pay them every month. I don’t get this, I wish we had solar!

Original review: July 29, 2019

SCE is choosing to shut down our power for 3 days (8am - 4pm each time) in the span of 12 days during the hottest time of year - where temps have been high 90s and low 100s. We only receive a ~5 day notice in the mail and cannot reschedule. We operate an STR business at the home and 5 days is not enough time to make other arrangements with guests. This is damaging to my business and unacceptable. When called to inquire I was told "sorry these are necessary" and "they happen all throughout the year" (even though we have had this house for almost 1 year and this is the first time this has happened).

Original review: July 11, 2019

We own a short term occupancy in Ojai. We received notice that the power pole servicing the rental needed to be replaced. The days it was scheduled for replaced we had clients staying in the rental. Even though the power pole was installed 35 years ago they said it had to be replaced that day and refused to reschedule even though I gave them numerous open days. They did not want to hear it. Very rude and unhelpful supervisor. Their action ruined a vacation for our clients and caused financial loss for my family.

Southern California Edison Company Information