1.31/5

Need a utility company?

California

Need a utility company?

385 Southern California Edison Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I had a very similar problem another person complained about. I have had non-stop billing problems for the past year. I was doing auto pay for a while with SCE. My bank account got hacked, I closed the bank account and I stopped Auto Pay. They didn't stop auto pay. SCE continued to bill my closed account and when the payment was not made, they refused to allow payment by check or online and reported to the credit bureaus. I thought, not problem, I will call them, explain the situation and they will fix it, like most other responsible businesses. I have been a customer since the early 1970 with a stellar payment history with SCE. They will fix the problem. Nope - you can't talk to a human being as SCE. (I won't even launch into why we have the highest electrical rates in the county - explain that to me.)

I am now paying my SCE bill through my bank but still sending checks in just so they have to burn labor and postage to return them. It is time to break up SCE and bring competitive pricing into the electric market in Southern California. (I can hear them now screaming how that is not possible – fixed wiring, etc. It is possible and should be done – Break up SCE – One of the worst run companies. If you like socialism, you will like SCE!)

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I recently paid my bill using the app Jan 23. Same day I paid my gas bill. I was prompted to enter my bank account information. This was the only way it allowed me to pay it. Today I received a letter stating I had a check restriction and will not be allowed to pay online and I need to pay them for the returned check. I called and after talking to a rude representative Ruth (she didn’t care to talk to me or explain what was going on just passed me off to someone else). I found out that the system used my closed bank account even though I updated my account information TWICE. So every time I sent paid it returned with a code account closed.

It doesn’t make sense. I used the same information for my gas bill and no problems. She proceeded to tell me that this has happened two times and put a restriction. I asked her if she can tell me when was the first notice sent out because this was the first I’m hearing about this and she couldn’t answer. They never sent it out... This is a scam and I don’t trust this company!!! Just another way to rip people off and take no blame for a online system that doesn’t work.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I moved from my old address to the new one. The service from SCE was moved. But the billing was still ongoing. It was just a little amount of money, $15.96 but it was just frustrating that they moved the service but still billing me from the old one! I told them, and said from the billing department that yes, I called and canceled and moved my service, but for some reason it was not shut off! And now they don’t want to waive the $15.96. I don’t see the logic, I don’t understand and I’m really pissed off. I spoke to Amanda at the billing department from SCE! So ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I received an email from SCE confirming that I made a payment on my acct. Email contained a lot of my personal info including the bank acct # I used to pay my bill. I felt this much info didn't need to be in an email so I tried contacting SCE by phone (the only way, they don't accept emails) I was bounced around on the phone from menu to menu with no way of contacting a rep.

After 25 minutes, I FINALLY found a menu with a rep option & after having to wait through 2 more menu options I finally got a rep on the line. When I tried to speak, she said "I can't hear you". Then she repeated it a couple more times and I finally disconnected my phone. Clearly SCE does not care what their customers think, or even if they have a billing issue, etc. I was shocked because I never called SCE before. I'm sure if I didn't pay my bill promptly, my service would be disconnected immediately and I would have no recourse to reconnect it. For a public service utility that is a monopoly in SoCal, I can understand why they don't care... Customers have no recourse or any other electric company to go to. Disgusting!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

For over three weeks, I have daily gone onto the SC Edison Website to obtain our last three bills but that function still does not work. I called Edison over a week ago & was told they were revising their website & it "needed just a few more tweaks." Really? Why would any company put a website into production without all the functions? Edison emails a bill with a due date, but won't provide a bill so verify. Isn't that on the verge of fraud?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southern California Edison?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I called to connect my electric to the residence due to a mishap with the location I’m renting through. I go through the process run my credit with a soft hit and provided all supporting documents as disclosed to the email needed. I then ask for a timeframe in regards to when the services will be back available. It was explained same day. As with a smart system they just have to send a signal and to call back if I haven’t received any power before I got work. I get home, no power, kids out in the dark and I have to make arrangements Edison states they aren’t responsible for. I then reach and escalate the matter to a supervisor David and I’m provided a poor response in regards to the account. It's noted and all that. There's nothing that can be done as we need to wait the business days it requires us to address the matter.

I explained if I was presented with that from the beginning I could have looked and arranged a few things. I then moved forward and stated that this is a training concern where the information delivered to me was inaccurate. So he stated, "It’s not my department" and provided contact # 877-890-2486. I stated, "Is there someone I can speak with at the point of contact." He says, "Yes." I then proceed to call. Their voicemail is full. Messages can’t be left. The operator is unavailable and the call drops on me per Edison due to no remaining options.

Welcome to inefficiency. Kids are now without power due to Edison. I have to wait all weekend as I have no timeframe to look forward for. No number to call for help. Spoiled food they won’t replace. And to top it all off I’m in probation for a new career that requires my flexibility with hours. Edison needs some serious revaluation done. Including some revamping of processes for escalations. Empower your employees to make the right decision. Otherwise what good are you. Just another bill we’re forced to pay. Absolutely no help.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Since July 2018 I have been expecting a refund from a deposit made to SCE. See account # **, the account is inactive. Please take care of your customers!! Pay the deposits back!! How much longer we have to wait!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

They shut off my electric, to get it back on I have to pay cash right away before 7pm to get it back on same night. $1154.00, 25.00 reconnect fee, and deposit of 2600.00 had to pay $3,770.00 before 7pm to get it back on same day, which I did... 12 hours later still not on! Stated on my receipt would be on in the next 4 hours... Never did! I asked 3 Edison reps how they come out with the amount of the deposit?? They all said they get your highest bill in the last 12 months and multiply by 2 , which that's against California's State regulations!! Hahaha, I've already done the paperwork for a class action lawsuit on deposit charging. Edison isn't so bright... hahaha... and I filed a claim to get reimbursed for all of my time, gas, and wages, all my overhead, like the loss sales for the day... remember people the bigger the company the better to sue them for wrong doings... have a great day! LOOK UP THE lawsuit to join...

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have been an SCE customer for 50 years and a SCE retiree. I liked logging in and paying my bill by "ECheck." It was convenient and free. I would also pay ahead with sometimes up to $200 that covers 3-5 months. Loved it. NOW they are connected with JPMChase and charge $1.65 for any and all online payments if you don't have automatic direct payment set up. I NEVER have, nor will I ever have in the future, automatic direct payment set up for ANY company. I will have to go back to the old SNAIL MAIL I guess and will now always wait until the week of due date to send in. Customer service is going backwards.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I have been with SCE over 28 years, 17 whole living I. My current home obviously they ALWAYS get their money. Most recently my bill has tripled in amount dues, the bill is so confusing even the customer service department has difficulty explaining or understanding what it means but always manages to make it benefit SCE. I finally decided to go ahead and avoid the confusion by enrolling in auto pay on Sept 1, 2018. This same day made my payment of 501.17 bring me to a zero balance. I then get a disconnection notice a few days later, since I’m enrolled in auto pay I figure, the payment is just taking a few days to process, call back to SCE and they ensure me that I am Indeed signed up for automatic pay not to worry.

Few days after that I check my account again now shows 501.17 due by 11/05/2018, but the online info shows a balance of zero. So on 10/26/2018 while no one is home SCE shows up and disconnects our electricity. I have a party scheduled for Sat 10/27/2018, 8 o’clock am. I contact SCE who confirms I have a zero balance and that my payment was made after the power had been shut off. EXCUSE ME I am signed for auto pay. How is that my fault. I paid this bill a month ago and they are just now processing it (NO DOUBT IN AN ATTEMPT TO NOW CHARGE ME A RECONNECTION FEE). This company is so UNDERHANDED AND CONTINUOUSLY ROBBING their customer of their hard earning money.

I called SCE back a second time. The girls said service is scheduled to be turned back on by close of business on Saturday. I informed her as well as Sophia the first representative that we have medical needs that require electricity. Here it is 1 am STILL NO POWER FOR PAYING CUSTOMERS. I was forced to relocation my party, have my mother stay with other family members because of her medical needs and not one person at SCE cab give me any answers or give half a crap about their customer. I will be filing a formal complaint and a claim. Looks like solar here I come. A angry loyal customer.

Southern California Edison Company Information