1.14/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 19, 2017

790 Duke Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

Was without power for 8 1/2 hours. Was told several different times service would be turned in. I went to drive around in a 5 mile radius. Seen no workers! I called. Never able to speak to live person. Finally spoke to live person after 6 hours. She said they were working in it. About an hour later seen crew one block over. Then about an hour later power restored! I AM TELLING YOU NO ONE WAS WORKING ON THE REPAIR. I WENT TO THE STATIONS WHERE THE TRANSFORMERS ARE. NO ONE WORKING!! I just filled the refrigerator of food for Thanksgiving. Now it's gone. I am on a fixed income. I cannot replace this food!! I want $200 for the replacement of food.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Duke Power is the biggest scam company. The first full month in my apt. by bill was x amount. The second month which was two day shorter, and my heat pump went out for 2.5 weeks, and I work nights, the bill was almost exactly the same. Now this month's bill generated, and guess what... Yes, almost exactly the same to the penny, and I never turned the air or heat on since it was repaired because of the cooler temp. Biggest crock of crap I've ever seen. I live alone, work nights, don't use the dishwasher, and do maybe two loads of wash if that in a week. Someone needs to do something with this company.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I work just to pay Duke, forget paying anything else, grocery shopping is a privilege when you are at Duke's mercy. They have the market cornered, we have no other option for energy in NKY. Shame on Duke for draining people who are struggling to keep the heat on.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I have called four times to get the power to our arena lights connected. It's two wires. I can see them. My account is paid up, current, no baggage. Four calls, and their promises to be there in 2-3 days, the last time, "We'll be there tomorrow, my supervisor confirmed it!" BS. It appears to me that Duke Power Customer Service is "mind over matter". They don't mind, and we the consumer sure as heck don't matter!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

We are retired, fixed income, barely making ends meet. Duke Energy is charging us an additional 580.00 for a security deposit (been here 18 years) because of two disconnect notices in 12 months. I always pay my bill, and will be current again tomorrow. However they were gracious enough to split the deposit into three installments in addition to our regular bill. What a joke!!! We are not at poverty level so we cannot get assistance. Never have I dealt with such a greedy, inflexible company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I've been a Duke Customer for 4 years. Moving from Concord to Indian Trail. I called yesterday to try and transfer my service to my new address. First time I called, the stupid customer service girl could not even find the address and was asking for the meter number. It's an apartment complex. I hung up. Called back, and got another one who seemed to know what she was doing. She informs me that since I'm moving it's a new account and I'm going to need to pay a 200 deposit. I paid a 150 one when I moved here 4 years ago that I never got back. When I asked her WTF, she informs me that it could be because of late payments of disconnects. I've never been disconnected, and I think I paid my bill late twice by like 2-4 days in the last few months... because I was distracted over the death of a parent.

When I asked to speak with a supervisor, I was placed on hold... then the same girl came back and told me that the supervisor would be willing to apply the original 150 deposit to my final bill, so I'd only owe them 64. I hung up before I screamed at the girl even though I'd not be surprised if their customer service workforce comes from the women's prison. LOL. I emailed and doubt it will work and I'll end up paying in the end, but someone needs to put a stop to these criminals.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Unprofessional Company that used to get five stars from me, but in the past 10 years or so this company has gone downhill, all they can do is lie to you every time you call. I have many accounts with them and I am tired of the lying from this company. Just tell your (me) customers the truth when they ask you A question, do not have to tell me a different story every time I call. I was told by Duke Energy at 3 o'clock today that my power would be restored between 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock, it's now 8:15 and no power. I called them and they stated that it would be Monday before I could talk to someone concerning my power not being restored. You do not have to continue lying to your customers, learn to be professional. I'll volunteer to teach your employees how to tell the truth.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

My rating would be a ZERO star, but you cannot submit a review without at least one star. So here's my story: about 2 1/2 weeks ago, I was calling to inquire about the procedure of switching over my existing service to a new location where I was moving in a matter of 2 weeks or so... But after I moved to my new place I found out that the service started even before the old tenants left and without my permission or a security deposit as the customer service person said I would need when starting new service. I didn't understand what was going on after I moved in on October 1st, when the lights where on and the place was airconditioned cool, I just assumed that the previous tenants had not stopped their service yet until I received a letter dated September 28th saying I needed to pay a deposit by October 4th or my service would be disconnected.

I called customer service and told them about the letter and they said that my service was turned on the next day after my "request" where I was originally getting facts together inquiring about the procedure before my move. I said to customer service person that I wasn't moving until September 30th and did not want the service on until I called and paid whatever the deposit was that was required for new service... NO fact finding, NO recordings, NO answers, all they use are previous customer service "notes" which were all 100% backward and wrong... Their "notes" had things I never said or asked for especially a "connection request"...

I asked to speak to a supervisor. I waited a few minutes when a very young female claiming her name to be "Kelsey" got on the phone, I explained everything from the beginning and as I was speaking she was talking over me and not giving me a chance to say that the other person 2 weeks earlier authorized energy to start before I moved in, but the girl "Kelsey" in customer service claiming to be a supervisor was talking in circles saying that I ordered the service and I must pay deposit immediately or they will stop the service and I will be charged a "reconnection fee"... I was blown away with all the wrong information the notes had from the earlier phone call I made about procedure & only as I said in the very beginning only INQUIRING...

After 35 minutes of trying to tell "Kelsey" that there was a mistake on their behalf, and I received NO connection confirmation in any form of an email, or a letter whatsoever. "Kelsey" was just blocking me out and ignoring everything I said and kept talking over me in circles like a robot. There was NO way that this girl was a supervisor or manager. I could not get anywhere with her. So the story ends with I must pay for 2+ weeks of unauthorized service that was requiring a "security deposit" to begin with to turn ON, which I was not ready to pay at the time of the first telephone inquiry until after the first week of October...

If only I can tell Gayle Lanier, senior vice president of customer services at Duke Energy what a disgrace of a department she has, STOP training your people to be robots and use their brains to problem solve instead of the easiest way off the phone! I am totally dissatisfied and will be going to higher sources about this matter! I would never EVER recommend Duke Energy. FIND A DIFFERENT PROVIDER, FAST!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I was without power for a week. After it came on for a few days it went out for two. If I had gone to my office the second time my 5 dogs would have been in the heat and died while I thought I had power. They then when I contacted said they had to turn off to fix others. They clearly could have texted. Unreal. Now I live in the woods and a tree is still hanging on a wire and the rest going across are about a foot from the ground. If the house catches fire this is proof that I did not only contact Duke yesterday and the day before but I am telling you now and taking a photo. This is the worst company ever. Each month I get a bill at home and for two offices stating the amount. Two days later I get a letter advising payment is late? Sure know how to try and get money but services suck. I want tree off wire and I can't seem to get it done Last power company came and trimmed trees and kept safe. This one just ignores this.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Duke Energy has right of way under the high tension wires crossing over our yard. "Integrity" Tree Service is in the yard next door right now destroying it, we will have our yard murdered next week. Numerous trees and 100 feet of bushes creating privacy are going to be murdered because Duke can by law do this barbarous act. There is a large open area of yard that they could access any and all wires they would need to in case any of the now 67 year old wires should need it, but yet they need to spend tons of money destroying people's property BECAUSE THEY CAN. Where do they get all the money? Crooks in my book. They hire companies from out of state, put them up in hotels, all to kill innocent trees and vegetation. The tree guys say that is their job. Just like ISIS' job is to behead and bomb innocent people.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I am not sure how Duke does their bills - but somehow the month that Irma hits, during which time I was away for two weeks and my AC was either off or set to 80 degrees I have received the highest bill of the month. I simply think the company is fraudulent. If only there was choice in electric companies Duke would be out of business.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

Duke Energy totally SUCKED as far as communication went after the storm. They were SO unprepared for their system to be overloaded. I wish we had an alternative. I was out of power for 10 days and my next door neighbor had power. And there was a down powerline 5 houses down from me and all they did was look at it. Do SOMETHING about your communications because we could get NO information from your company!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I recently moved from one location to my mom's house. I called Duke Power and told them to disconnect my service and I would call them when I had an address to reconnect service. My husband called to get the service in his name at the location they we are in now and they told him he owed a prior bill plus a 250 deposit. Being a single income family we didn't have that amount. I called to put the service under my name and they did an investigation on my husband and myself and said that we could not get service until 711.00 was paid. I asked why so much. The rude lady stated that it was 250 a piece for our deposit and plus the prior bill he owed since he will be living in the property.

I have small children and animals and we will be in the dark in this new home until I can save up the money. I asked her, "What can I do to make arrangements" and she told me no arrangements can be made. It all must be paid in full. She was so rude to me and my family. I really pray that we can get another electric company besides this place. It's horrible and you are paying your money to people who will not work with you. I hate this company.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Florida was hit with a hurricane this past month, everyone lost energy. It took 8 days to fix everything. Duke needed to fix but that was only after everyone else got energy at home. We needed the energy to keep our food fresh and using the water as it needs energy too. The excuse they made up about the whole system being down is a lie because not everyone lost energy. Don't use Duke Energy, they are not going to be the fastest or reliable ones.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

After Hurricane Irma it's Tuesday 9/19/2017 and I still do not have power. I called during the hurricane to advise we had a line sparking with a glowing green light. They took the info and that's it. Since then every time I called Duke for an update, I advised of the downline and they acted like they did not know anything about it. They keep feeding us this crap that due to major damage in Apopka we have no power, however the condos across the lake called Boca Vista off 434 have power, Greenberg Dental building off 434 has power, all the street lights on 434 have power and an office building after Greenberg Dental have power and the houses behind our community have power, but yet the following properties are still down, San Tropez, The Landing and Key West, still wondering why.

Trying to understand the reason why Duke energy is charging me an additional deposit of $95 on my already bill of $130 "during Hurricane Season of all times" on a property I have lived in for over 5 years. Not everyone has the financial availability to pay a $222 bill. I feel it’s an abuse due to the fact that you are the only power company in my area and you will do whatever you please. Believe me when I say "IF" I had an option I would drop Duke energy like a bad habit.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I live in Pinellas County, Florida and unfortunately I have Duke Energy as my electric power provider. What happened to the good old days when we had Progress Energy. Our street was without power for 7 days due to Hurricane Irma (Sunday, Sept. 10 - Sunday, Sept 17), when other homes in our area had power restored within 24 hrs. My neighbors and I called every day to report the outage on our street multiple times each day to no avail. Duke never sent a Supervisor or Line Crew member to check on our area and they never communicated with anyone in our area as to what was causing the outage.

Well, I found out on the 7th day that it wasn't a tree limb on the pole, a pole down or even a substation issue. The Illinois Line crewman that was at the pole as I turned onto my street said it was simply an open box that he reached up and shut. That took him all of 30 seconds to complete. 7 days without power, food tossed into the garbage and everything else that went on for only 30 seconds. Duke Management lied throughout this storm and they have lost their credibility with the public at large. They lied when they said all Pasco and Pinellas would be up on Friday evening, which it wasn't and they were providing unrealistic expectations to the public when they said power would be restored to everyone by Sunday.

I stopped into the Wawa gas station on Saturday and saw about 25 Raleigh contractors servicing the Seminole area. I spoke to the Supervisor and he said that in their Saturday morning Safety meeting that Duke Mgmt wanted all power on by 6:00 pm that night. He told me that was a pipe dream as he and his crew had 7 poles to climb and fix and there was no way that power would be restored by then. Writing this has helped me vent, but I know Duke will do nothing as their Customer Service is non-existent. It is obvious that Duke was not prepared for the Cat 1 hurricane in Pinellas and God help them if something even stronger hits the Tampa Bay area. They had better start planning and I believe the state of Florida should levy a significant fine.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I live in Deltona and I never saw Duke Energy around. I think they sent the money hungry workers down south so they can work more hours and suck up FEMA money. Duke Energy SUCKS. The power was turned on by out of state power companies in my area. I wish all the Duke Energy employees bad. Look also how do you sleep at night???

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

These ** (Duke Energy) had our power off for 5 days because of Hurricane Irma... Our power went out Sept 12th at 6 pm. That's 16 hrs after Irma left Kissimmee. Our power was diverted and not knocked out from the storm. Duke Energy said The service will be back on Sept 17th. They even knew the day to cut back on our service. That's why we as a taxpayer need to stop monopoly companies like Duke Energy who can screw the low man any chance they get. I'm investing in Solar and screw Duke Energy. If you have a choice on an Energy company... never pick Duke Energy (**). All my food went bad and generator stop working. That was the first and last time I'm gonna go through that.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

First, they don't even deserve a 1 star rating, Duke Energy is by far the worst most crooked ** company I've ever dealt with. I absolutely hate duke energy, the bills are extremely high and they charge you for everything possible, constant nickel and dime you to death, power has been out for a ** week because of hurricane Irma here in Sebring. It's beyond **. People have power less than a mile from my home, I've rode the whole neighborhood and have found no significant damage. The town north of us Avon Park and the town south of us Lake Placid which supposedly was hit harder and yet already have power. The price we pay every month along with all the other customers that are forced to deal with duke because there are no other options.

We should never be without power for a week when there's been no drastic damage in our grid area, bad damage on the other side of town 7-8 away isn't going to affect my home, and the sad part is duke doesn't care. They work so slow and unorthodox. All the money you spend on food that goes bad they are not responsible for but let that bill be late, as soon as you pay a bill walk to the mailbox there will be another. The list goes on and on, I do not have 1 good thing to say about duke energy. I can only hope they lose the service contract with Highlands County. If I could sue them I would in a second. ** duke energy. I hope they go broke and burn in hell.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I live in a neighborhood that has about 21 homes. Since Irma we haven't seen one truck. There are people on oxygen on my block. My Grandson is 2 months old and lives with me. This is horrific and unbearable. Hotel rooms available in our area are starting at $190.00 A night. We have been out of power a week. I wish we didn't have to use Duke Energy. We don't have any down lines as they claim. We are not a priority. The Apartments next store to our neighborhood have had power for days. SHAME ON YOU DUKE ENERGY!!! But I appreciate other companies come to Florida to help us. Can Duke send one of those companies our way. A pissed off and disgusted customer. Someone please help us!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I have lived in Florida almost my whole life. We used to have Florida Power. Then we had Progress Energy and Progress Energy was OK. Now we are stuck with Duke Energy. My family is originally from North Carolina so I know all about Duke. They suck. Yes we just had a hurricane come through, that would be Irma, yes there were a lot of people without power (but most have been restored, I am in the 4%). However today is day 7. We still have no power. You can't get a straight answer. The main number they give you to call is an automated system, to get a live person you have to press the dangerous conditions line. I called this morning. I was told the Florida office is currently closed! Seriously after a hurricane they are closed. Told no idea when power will be restored. Also just as others have said we lose power when it is a normal rainstorm 1 time for 3 days and we were the only outage in Pinellas county.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

When power went out during the recent storm hurricane Irma almost everyone in the neighborhood had power the next day. We are now on day 6 after the storm and still do not have power. When I contacted Duke Energy they said they were aware of the problem and it would be restored by Sunday midnight. More than seven days after the power went out there was very little physical damage in our area from the storm and almost everyone else in the area has power.

When I asked them if they could give it time of when it would be they said it was in the repair Crews bucket. When I inquired about where the repair crew was she said, "I do not know but it must be in your area." There are 31 homes affected by this. No one from Duke Energy ever came out or talk to anyone in the area. This is totally unacceptable. I've had to spend well over $2,000 for hotel accommodations and extra gas and having to eat all my meals at a restaurant. Why they cannot give you an answer of when someone will be out is beyond me and I have yet to see a Duke Energy truck anywhere near our neighborhood.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I would think Duke Energy would have enough sense to structure their grids so that homes would get electricity before oil change shops and nail salons??? What a crock. We've been promised power due to Irma and haven't got it. What if we were a direct hit? We'd be out for months. They told me they were restoring power in North Carolina. That is absolutely crazy!!!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

After hurricane Irma, most homes and businesses were left without power in Pinellas County. Duke Energy gave us an estimate of about 5 days after the storm had passed before the power was fully restored throughout the county. As I have been driving around the area for the past week (Friday, September 15, Midnight), on more than one occasion I have spotted 4-5 Duke energy trucks at a single location with a few workers trying to resolve the problem while the rest just sit around and watch. They obviously did not meet the estimate they set and we will be left without power for another 2-3 days. Areas that had more severe damage had power restored within days, while areas with little to no damage whatsoever are left without power for over a week.

Not only can we not store food in the home due to it rotting but we also can't do laundry, and we have no air conditioning. In Florida it's over 96 degrees fahrenheit and very humid so it's especially bad. I spoke to a Duke representative, I told them I won't be paying the bill this month due to all the hardship and damage they have caused. They threatened to cut off my power permanently. This company is unethical, and unfit to serve our communities. The damage in our county was not substantial, so imagine if it were. Imagine if we were hit by a more powerful hurricane and serious injuries had occurred while we were left without power for over a week. They would be putting lives in danger. Companies like this should not be allowed to exist.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

This company only cares about the shareholders. Every other utility company here in Florida is able to restore power, except The Great Duke. They keep pushing their estimate back because they have no idea what they're doing. Their website says they had to fly drones to evaluate the damage because the roads' conditions were so hazardous. That is a lie. I drove down the roads here in Southern Volusia to see for myself what the delay is, and I did not see one Duke truck anywhere. Governor Scott needs to step in and tell Duke they can not handle the amount of area they are responsible for.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

Duke Energy left me hanging without a hot water heater repair for over two weeks. I pay $7.95 a month. In the event my hot water heater goes down, a reliable plumber is supposed to be dispatched. Duke Energy misrepresents the process. You pay your premiums and they collect, but when you need them, best of luck. I had to rattle many cages and spend hours on the phone. I could have re-installed a dozen hot water heaters myself in the time it took for Duke Energy to help me out. Now, with IRMA there is not a single line down or tree down within a 4-mile radius of my block home. My electricity has been out for 7 consecutive days and I haven't even seen one Duke Energy truck drive down my paved street. Duke energy just sends automated text messages with incorrect information, mostly lies saying things like, "reset your breaker", your power has been restored. That cannot be the case when there is nothing feeding into my outside meter.

My main wire from the street to the building is intact. Businesses and residents .1 miles from my home have had power all along. Some never lost power. Duke Energy is a horrible electrical service company. It was much better when Progress Energy ran things. I am looking to pay a fair electrical company 10% more than I pay Duke Energy per month if you will offer fair service and truthful updates. Let me know. I have no problem with an Electric Company trying to restore power because of downed trees and severed lines. I see Duke Energy working nowhere. Several times I have seen teams of Duke Energy employees standing around department store parking lots for hours on end.

Duke Energy is hiring their buddies from out of town to stand around and drink coffee in parking lots and collect large hourly wages by turning a little county wide wind damage into a windfall for Duke Energy. Wait and see your Duke Energy bill in a month or two. Who do you think will be paying for all those out of state laborers getting top dollar to stand around parking lots and drink coffee oppose to activating community grids with absolutely no downed wires or issues. Duke Energy runs a monopoly where I live and they should be made to be accountable to their customers. Duke Energy does what they want, when they want, to whomever they want. They should be put out of business!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

Loss of power because of Irma. Have tried to be very patient twice. Was told that our electric was on when it was not. Can I get a hold of anybody to talk, to a real person? Poor service. They don't care about anything but their ** money. I have tried to be more than patient. I am 67 years old. I don't need this crap. What really bugs me is being told that we have electric when I know we don't. I swear if I had a choice I would leave Duke Energy for another company. Ridiculous. I do not want to talk to an automatic person. I want someone real. Poor customer service.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

More and More record profits for Duke Energy, yet they won't update their equipment. We have been without power for 7 days. My elderly mother is sick and Duke won't even respond. A tropical storm passed east of Tampa, we are way west of Tampa and lost power for 7 days and counting. These guys need to be removed from the state of FL. The next Governor needs to address this if they want our votes.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

After recently moving into my new apt I contacted Duke energy due to I had not received a bill for my new address. A few days later I received a new bill and promptly pay it. Today 9/15 I receive a letter from Duke stating that my power will be turned off in 10 days. I call their automated system and find that I owe them $8.07 due Sept 23. I proceed to muddle through until I get a real person.

The lady was very polite and confirmed that I only owed $8.07 and that they had received my last payment on 9/11/17. So I asked why was I sent a disconnect notice dated 9/15/17. That is 4 days after the bill was paid. Her reply was it must have been sent prior to receiving my payment. I again stated the letter is dated 9/15/17. At that time my bill was paid up to date. Her reply was priceless --"Is there anything else I can assist you with today?" HUMMM interesting. How they can harass paying customers and threaten them with disconnection even though their bill is paid and up to date.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I have been very patient as I have been without power for 5 days now. What is frustrating is literally every neighborhood around us has had their power restored. Yet when I talk with an operator they tell me, "We can't give you an estimated time for restoration". They did however state that it was just a blown fuse. Not sure if that makes me feel better or worse as they made it sound like it was an easy fix?

Duke Energy Company Information