Duke Energy

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Ok first off I'm very upset with Duke Energy. We live in Longwood, FL. Sun Mon Tues Wed now it's going to be Thursday. Ok Winter Park, FL has power, Lake Mary, FL has power, Apopka, FL has power. I'm moving out of Longwood, FL because you guys seem like you always forget about Longwood, FL and this is not right. Hurricane I know this for sure. You guys cut the power on Sunday and hurricane was not even here and I was watching TV and what you do cut the power. I heard it when you did. Enough is enough. President of company will get letter. Seem like always go for where the rich people are first and forget about the poor people.

Last long story you guys are better than this. Come on. And what I don't get others come down from other countries to help really with Florida hurricane. I'm not saying this is you guys fault but people died from this and trees should have been cut from wire before all this hurricane started keys Miami. God bless the ones did not make it. This is Florida where I lived in West Palm Beach, FL. It took two days get power back on.

I have been unfortunate to have had to do business with this company for the last 5-6 years. I've never experience so many outages in my life! I come from Cape Cod, we get blizzards, nor'easters, white outs as well as the occasional hurricane and tornado and yet in over 40 years of living there I have never experienced anywhere near the amount of interrupted service combined as I have here in this last 5-6 years. Are they just incompetent, lazy, poor workers or just unknowledgeable?

I suffer interrupted service at least 4x a week every week! Hurricane Irma came through here recently and service went down, yesterday and it's still down! I'm sorry but you aren't battling freezing temperatures, snow, sleet or ice! What's your problem? I get that Dunedin is out, but holy cow how long does it take to repair in good weather? I can't imagine you folks working in bad freezing weather! What's your excuse? If you can't handle the work get out of the business and stop fleecing consumers! This is pathetic. It's been over 30 hours and they are unable to turn the power back on! This is the worst excuse of a company I have ever heard of, read about, encountered or imagined. Seriously rethink buying a home where Duke is the service provider.

We have been without power from Irma for 15 hours while our neighbors two doors down have power. Why has it taken this long for this one little pocket of houses in a whole area to get their power? This is ridiculous when major areas are back up!

We experience power outages on average every 6 weeks, sometimes up to 18 plus hours at a time. This is the 2nd time in 3 months we're being forced to replace EVERYTHING in our refrigerator/freezer. That is expensive, in case you don't know! Why are we paying you hundreds of dollars a month for NO SERVICE?! What is your basic problem, and why can't you fix it? It's not like you're not making hundreds of thousands of dollars off of our backs? Since Duke Energy is a monopoly, we obviously have no choice. Get your ** together and provide the services you promise!!!

Anyone who lives under Duke Energy power lines who has had Duke Energy tell you they have the right away to take down your plants or trees and would like to join together in a class action lawsuit against Duke Energy please contact me. Duke Energy makes billions of dollars which we all pay to them for our gas and electric bill but they would like consumers to pay to keep their lines maintained by diminishing our property value. All other companies maintain their own expenses to maintain their company but Duke wants the consumer to pay. Also, old right always signed were with totally different stipulations, then Duke wants to enforce ever changing rules without any consent. Please call to form Citizens Against Duke Energy (Duke Energy please don't call yourself -- going green!)

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

I have lived at my current home for 17 years and this week found out that Duke Energy had my home classified for the wrong kilowatt usage rate. My home is ALL Electric and they had it being charged at the Electric/Gas rate which is substantially higher. So they have over charged us for 17 years and there is no avenue for me to obtain a refund for the over charge at Duke Energy. If it had not been for an energy analysis we had done then we would not have found out their mistake and they would still be over charging us. ALL CONSUMERS NEED TO CHECK HOW DUKE ENERGY has your home classified. They could be over charging a lot of homes. They said it was not their responsibility to check it. Another MULTI BILLION Dollar company not caring about their consumers.

I've been dealing with Duke Energy for years and they raise rates every opportunity they get just to screw over the communities who are forced to buy electricity from them. Now they plan to ask for an 8.5% rate increase that is "justified" by higher fuel costs when the cost of fuel is actually going down! Here is the real reason Duke is raising rates-because they bargained like idiots and screwed themselves, and now want the little guys to offset their poor management. When are we going to have a class action lawsuit that protects us from the Duke Energy robber-barons?

Hello I recently have a issue with this crappy company that I wanted to write about. I authorized a payment for 137.00 to come out of my checking acct. I check my bank balance and I see a second charge that I did not authorize on my acct. of 247.00. I call the Duke Power and explain the situation, lo and behold I get the typical worthless rep that tries to turn the situation back around on me so, at this point instead of venting at the idiot automaton rep which would have gotten nowhere I just do a Better Business complaint and am waiting the results of that. I so wish there was another option to get power from. This is the worst ran company I have ever see.

Duke Energy sent a crew out to my home due to sparks coming from the meter during a storm. A crew arrived, approximately 6 hours, in reference to my call. There were two trucks and a crew of 4 males. One of the men open the meter box and said "There is moisture in the meter. I will seal it." He placed a blog of substance on the top of the box; and closed the box. My son said to him "What about the moisture in the box." The person who put the substance on the box responded "It's OK". Both crews left. During the night there was a fire in the meter box. We called Duke Energy and a person was sent out. He said "There was a fire in the meter box. The wires are burn black, I will have to disconnect your service until the problem is fix."

I contacted Duke Energy (I believe the fire was cause because the service person did not get the moisture out of the meter box before he closed the box). Duke Energy said "You will have to have the burnt wire to replace before we can turned your service back on." I explained "Your representative caused the problem why can't you fix the problem." Duke Energy said "It is your responsibility to make repairs to the box" and they did nothing. Finally, after a week of no service I called my pastor. Who put me in contact with a senior (people over 55) representative who contacted Duke Energy on my behalf.

Duke Energy agree to restore my service if I have an electrician repair the burnt wire (that Duke Energy person caused) and give them a list of my expenses so that I can be repaid for the expenses during the time I had no service. How do you put a price on someone who sleep sitting up in a chair for 7 days; because the person has a sleeping disorder and stop breathing, while sleeping, without the use of the machine that keep the person alive and run on electric? How do you put a price on food that rot because there is no electric in a home for 7 days? And the list go on. I paid for a electrician to repair and replace the wires in the meter box.

The pastor contact Duke Energy and the service was restored. I contacted Duke Energy lost department. I received a letter two weeks later saying "Duke Energy is not responsible for your lost." Now I have a lost of several thousand dollars in personal property. This do not included the physical lost to my body. I have pictures of the burn meter box, the poor seal job, and receipts for the expenses; that was caused by a Duke Energy tech. who did not have the experience or did not care to realize that moisture and electric do not mix. All the tech. had to do was remove the moisture from the meter box and the fire in the meter box could have been avoided.

About a month ago three or four men appeared in the Duke Energy power line easement on and paralleling my property (50/50) with spray tanks on their backs. It was obvious that they were about to spray a plant killer to control unwanted growth along the edges so I went out to talk with them (the easement is mostly a grass field, all of which I maintain as lawn). Only one spoke English, and barely at that, and said they were only going to spray trees, primarily new pine growth. I understand the need to control danger tree growth such as pines but there is no need to kill low growing plants that would never reach a height to be a risk to the transmissionlines, either falling on them or by arcing.

But the workmen sprayed and killed things indiscriminately, resulting in an eyesore for me, the property owner, to clean up. What Duke Energy should have done, at least along residential properties such as mine, is cut the danger trees to the ground (they were all just saplings on my property) and remove them from the property. This would have been the right thing to do even if it cost a few more dollars. Their failing to do this is an example of the uncaring attitude that seems to be so prevalent at Duke Energy. The company shouldn't wonder why the public generally doesn't hold it in very high regard.

Duke contacted us by mail and said they needed to switch our meter. We returned postcard with date that we would be home. We did not hear from them until the day after we stayed home all day. A message said they just received postcard even though they said they could see that postmark indicated we had sent it more than 2 weeks prior. Then we received letter that said they would turn off power if we didn't schedule meter switch. Called number and had to leave message that we wanted to schedule meter switch and were open to most dates. We left name and phone number. NO ONE CALLED BACK! Tried again with no success. Now we can't access online account and are afraid they will turn off service. They really should be ashamed of their customer service!

I contacted Duke around the end of May-early June to let them know I was moving from my apartment and needed to transfer service to the apt complex as they require. I just received my bill and discovered that they never transferred the service! They refuse to backdate the transfer and expect me to pay the bill. They claim they have no record of my contacting them - of course they do not provide email confirmations so it is my word against theirs.

Not to mention how rude and condescending the rep was. She tried to say people just forget - I've moved plenty of times - this is not something I would forget. I even have a sheet where I listed everything for the move and this one was checked off plus I requested a Sat and was told I had to pick Friday or Monday so I clearly remember the call. It didn't shock me to see their 1 star rating and the # of complaints. There should be a government agency that oversees this kind of fraud. They don't even deserve 1 star. I do not have an order no but the last4 digits on my acct are listed. I would provide the bill but all they send is an email!

We lose power due to nice weather, light breezes of course storms and really any reason under the Sun or moon. Lost power last night. Was told it would be back on at 6:00 AM. Now being told it will be back on at 10:00 PM. It is always the same reason; trees. We lose power at least once per week and it is always for hours. No apologies. Nothing! We have no recourse because they are a monopoly that just does not care. The thing that really irks me is they don't offer any type of rebate for the damage that they cause, suffering of pets, loss of food etc. They just work slow and get the job done on their terms. Never mind the fact that if it weren't for paying customers they would not have jobs. Duke Energy ought to be ashamed but in reality they don't care.

We custom built a home. Builders turned power off and neglected to tell us when to put in our name. Called Duke Power and notified them we have a handicap person living with us and they cannot be transported. It is over 100 degrees outside temp and much hotter inside. They showed absolutely no concern and said power will be cut on between 8 am to 9 pm. I begged them and they said they had no emergency service for this situation. After reviewing Dukes customer service I am starting to see a trend. We need more options to compete with Duke Power. With no competition they do not have to show any mercy. If a death occurs then I will surely file a lawsuit.

They weren't mean but they don't connect with each other. I had service for 4 days but I never lived at the residence. They told me they couldn't offer a waiver or a credit for the amount of energy the apartment building used because it was still in my name. DON'T HOOK UP SERVICE BEFORE YOU MOVE and if you do cancel it that day! Duke Energy does not care about the customers.

I never wrote a review before, but Duke Energy I didn't even want to give you one star, but I guess I don't have a choice. This is my second power outage in 2 weeks time. Your automated system is a joke for power outages, 5 hours no power once again more food in the garbage, but you will want your payment on time with no excuses, so I don't care to hear yours. Furthermore this company is always calling for you to get protection on items such as your water heater, it will add to your bill of course so I chose to decline their protection plan. If they can't replace the food I have to throw away, I doubt they will replace a large item such as a water heater. Customer service??? What customer service??? I couldn't find any.

Wow where do I begin with this place? Not only do they price gouge and charge you for every little thing they possibly can, they have little to no consideration for their customer's comfort whatsoever. Even in the dead of summer, with temperatures rising to over 100 degrees, they STILL refuse to give me an estimated time my power will be turned back on. If ANYONE is considering opening an account with Duke Energy all I have to say is this: If you value excellent customer service, and you like to save money, STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY AS POSSIBLE.

Called so many times to try to fix a billing error. Got no help for two months. Then finally when someone figures out the issue I get stuck with a BIG bill. The same error that should have been corrected on my first call... Oh well. They do not care about what I was told or throwing the bill at me because I have no other option but to pay... I called and wasted my time over and over. Duke Energy your customer service sucks.

I have had an electric account with Duke Energy for 6 years. My first complaint is that they intentionally price gouge during the summer months of June, July and August. My family doesn't do one thing different yet the bill suddenly increases by 300-400 dollars each of these months. I just always pay it, but today when I went to pay my bill it was over $1800. I noticed there is suddenly an $1100 deposit applied to my account. I called them and they said it's because in May they had to reconnect the service, which is a $40 fee. Due to a mistake this is the one and only time we ever missed a payment in 6 years and they want to add an $1100 deposit to my account. Not happening. She kept mentioning that there was a $40 fee, which I agreed to pay since they did have to come back (30 minutes later) after we realized what had happened, but that the deposit was also going to be applied or my service will be terminated. This is clearly a scam.

My AC was set to 80 degrees for a year, I live in Pinellas County, FL, and Duke Energy is the only provider. My electric bill was $235 in a 1200 sq ft apartment. When I called Duke, they went with their usual spiel of your appliances and AC... I told them no, my AC is set to 80. The representative even became speechless and responded with "wow". I asked to have a rep come out and check the gauge which they responded with no, that I need to go to the apartment office to figure that out. There is something going on with this company.

Overpayment penalty. I have been a customer of Duke/Progress energy since 1999. A double payment was made. I req. a refund. Now they want me to pay $250 dep? Computers are not human. A person would have realized the error.

Have had ongoing billing/payment issues with this company. Payments they say "submitted twice" -- supposedly in error, are not refunded if you have any kind of balance. Wow, what a huge issue for a large company to tackle, right? They're crap. What if I was a single parent and that was my grocery money? I don't carry a balance anymore because of the interest they "sneak in" but now I can't get in to confirm payment is cancelled, have been trying for two days. Crappy company with no accountability. They waste a lot of our time.

I called Duke Energy today to see how behind I was on my monthly bill (which seemed to increase each month since me and my husband moved in November - it is now July). We had fallen behind on payments due to 2 trips to our home town in Louisiana from South Carolina due to death in my family being my mother and we even extended our bill and got help from family members just to keep our lights on the last couple of months. On the morning of July 10th our electricity had been cut off and I called to see what was going on because we had not received a disconnection notice from them.

The customer service representative told me that we owed $314 plus processing fees in order to get our lights back on and that the services would not be continued until the following morning on July 11th. I argued with her that I knew for a fact that after payment that our lights should be back on same day as long as we had paid them before 5:00 pm (I knew this from my coworker who had her lights disconnected by Duke as well). After going back and forth with her I just paid the $314 plus processing and asked what time my lights would be back on. She then proceeded to tell me that in order to get the lights back on I had to pay another $15 disconnection fee. Once again I argued that the $15 disconnection fee is usually added to your next bill (I knew this from my coworker AND because it even recites this fact on the automated voice when you call Duke Energy).

I am 8 months pregnant and had to sit in a hot and humid apt all day (9 hrs) with my dog until my husband got home from work and we had to find somewhere to stay until the lights came back on the next day. I had absolutely no problem with Duke Energy until this incident. I shouldn't have to sleep on a friends sofa while pregnant when I paid my bill and disconnection fees as soon as my lights went out. Tomorrow I will have to go home to spoiled food and a humid apt and once again I'm pregnant and just went grocery shopping. I am very livid with this company and want to go to the news about my incident. Please do better or discontinue your business duke energy.

My disconnect notice was for June 28 2017. I paid my bill on June 28 2017 at 12 pm. I was informed I made payment arrangements. I explained I didnt. The bill was paid on time. I called the commissioner number to get help. They called back stating I made an arrangement. I try to explain I didnt. He stated he is not going to argue. Wow I'm trying to let you know I did not make an arrangement. Been here at this address for 14 years. Never had my power turned off. I had made arrangements in the past and it was paid. They did not take that in consideration. I was told I had to pay 128.00 and that was it. I let them know I didnt have it. The commissioner office I have to pay it. I had to pay 128 plus reconnect fee. Why? I dont know. This is not fair at all. I had to pay 156.98.

I have had Duke power for 4 years, every time there is a storm... power out, the wind blow hard power out... This is so frustrating, food thawing out from power being out so long, no one reimburses you for that. Wish I could change my power company.

This is my 3rd time dealing with the same issue with Duke Energy. I have a terminal illness where it's a life or death situation to have my power. I live in a small two bedroom house. I don't use much power at all. I get a bill that says I use 33kw of power which comes out to the amount of $98 @ 2.39 a day. I say ok. I pay that. Then the following month I cut my power consumption only using 28kw of power. Tell me why my bill comes out to $239.00. So I get the previous bill to compare and see that because I used less power they charged me a $6.00 daily rate. If that's not wrong I don't know what is.

Then when they cut my power off after I made it clear I have a machine I depend on in my house for my survival! It didn't matter. 1 of my family members found me in my house near death! When I got out the hospital I use other resources (organizations) to help pay the bill to cut me back on. Once they get everything taken care of to turn me back on Duke Energy tacks on another $126.00 saying it's from the month they cut me off! How do they get to do that and get away with it??? I'm ready to go to the press cause the Energy Commissioner seems to be on their side. We consumers need a voice to speak up for us. This is really wrong.

I've only been a customer since March and I'm already researching how far I have to move when my lease ends so that I never have to deal with Duke Energy again. I will never move to a location in their district as long as I can help it. They have a broken link for the e-billing option on their site, AKA the only way to pay your bill without a fee (a fee that they don't tell you about unless you look up the FAQs). Finally, I found some time to call and set up the account. Seemed easy enough (if you don't work 9-5 Mon-Fri) as the automated service had a special button just for my issue. I guess I'm not the first. But once I finally got through to a rep, she completely disregarded the reason for my call and proceeded to process a payment, fee included, without my consent. AWESOME.

Then, when I pointed out that that's NOT what I asked her to do, she offered to transfer me to the 'correct department' (I guess the automated service lied to me?) without any kind of apology. That department proceeded to tell me that I wasn't clicking the button on the web page correctly (sure) and that they weren't responsible for the fees or rep who processed a payment on my card without my consent. I guess it's totally worth it to pay through the nose for spotty electricity (tons of blackouts, every week) and really crappy customer service.

I've read many other customers' complaints about Duke Energy increasing bills for no reason. I am a newer customer and have experienced this as well and it is very frustrating. I noticed the pattern for Duke Energy seems to show an increase in usage during late April/ May through June so far. Is this price tampering? Because this year, the temperature has been in the 90s since January and I've monitored usage closely. My usage and bill stayed consistent. However, as soon as late April/ May came, we actually decreased the usage plus the rain cooled the temperatures but all of a sudden my bill showed an increased usage by 500 to 1000 per month. I couldn't believe it. This needs to be investigated. I started taking pictures of my meter readings daily. I'm told that the Florida Public Service Commission is a great place to start.

I was told upon buying a business that I would be required to pay a security deposit of $1200, however, it would be returned after 12 months of not being late on the bill more than twice. A year later, I call to check on the deposit and they say I was late two times and that businesses can't be late but once. Furthermore, I was only late on my December payment, because I sent out a check on the first of the month for $350 before even receiving the bill because that's normally when I write all of my bills out. Well, I forgot to pay the remainder of the bill which was $196, once I receive a notice in the mail I realized I had forgotten, so immediately went online and paid it on Jan 12th. On the 17th I received my Jan bill and paid it immediately, even though it wasn't due until the31st.

They are telling me because I paid the remainder of the December bill in Jan, it means I am late on Dec and Jan Bill. WOW. So basically they set you up to fail, because their security deposit policy is based on monthly cycles, however the time you pay your bill isn't. CAN YOU SPELL CROOKS. Now they are saying they can keep my deposit indefinitely. I so wish there was another provider. Isn't this called a monopoly????

When my service was with Progress Energy we had occasional power outages. Since it became Duke Energy, outages occur far too often. When there is severe weather, our power is the first to go out, and the last to come on. It's ridiculous how often the power goes out. I think Duke Energy is a very poor company. Unfortunately it is what we are stuck with.

Duke Energy Company Profile