1.00/5

Need a utility company?

Need a utility company?

Duke Energy Reviews

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I’ve transferred my service with Duke for years. Just called in spoke with a super friendly woman which seemed freakishly odd. She then stated I would pay 170 deposit which caught me way off guard and she quickly said not to worry since I’m “Duke preferred”. May just be $150 deposit... Um no. I already have a deposit I paid for $150 already and she then said looks good. It’s $150 and I asked her 3 times to reassure me there would be no new charge and she said there would be no worries, no charge and I’m all set...then told me just one last thing. She has to transfer me to on last person to finalize it and complete the process... "But you just said you were doing that for me. This is why I called and that is what you said you do so why does it take two people now to complete your job?"

She transferred me. Another cheerful woman answered and said, "Looking over everything you're all set." But since I’m Duke preferred I could go ahead and set up a Spectrum bundle??? What? Why am I speaking to someone about internet when I already told her I have Spectrum? She said, "No worries. I can transfer your Spectrum and lock you into a better deal." To my knowledge Spectrum does not care and will not allow existing customers to change to a lower package for nothing and she said not to worry then she asked for my social security number!!!

At this point I’m sketched all the way out. She reassured me no credit check just for verification... She then said all set and added more packages like a startup kit? I said I don’t need one. I already have one. She said no worries it’s only $10 once... Again for what? She all set also, "Let's go ahead and get you covered for lightning insurance" in case it struck and I lost all my belongings!?!? Um no thanks. She said, "Well we can at least set you up with fire protection. It’s 59 a month for peace of mind..."

Mind you I told her 5 times through this convo politely thanks but I really need to get a moving truck. They are literally waiting for me in the parking lot. She said, "Apologies. Won’t take long!!!!" 38 minutes later I finally said I have to go. She then said, "Sure just everything set. Just call Spectrum to tell them to not charge for kit?" She then said also she memo the account and I asked for her name. She said, "All set. Call Spectrum. Make sure your other account is cancelled!!!!?!" "What? You said you do that" and then she hung up.

Now I got 2 Spectrum accounts and two Duke accounts with a $150 deposit!?!!! And another bill for the other Duke account that was suppose to be closed and already paid. This has to be a joke. In total shock. Based of all these horrible comments why is someone not doing something about it!?!? Also my energy bills for a micro 1 bedroom apartment are 400$!!!!! Someone needs to go to change.org or get a lawyer because this is unjust and horrible. I will sue. This corporation needs someone to step up and I work way too hard to be having anxiety attacks and now this crap. Nope. Duke going to LEARN TODAY.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

What initially got me fed up was the fact that we've been customers for 5+ years and we were only 3 days late (For the FIRST time ever) from paying the bill and already had planned to pay it that day. So they cut off the electricity and then left a "Service termination notice" at the door step (he didn't even have the decency to hang it on the door handle like it's made for). If I could I would attach a picture of the notice because not a single word/number/amount was written on the notice so it's just completely blank with no amount due (makes you wonder did he even have the account information up or does he just drop off these slips so he could get back in his truck to text like I saw him doing before I went to work).

Then after the bill was paid and taken out of the account, the wait lasted 3 hours then I called and inquired on the status of the account and 5mins after I called the lights were turned back on. So basically what I'm saying is the employees here need work just as efficient on cutting people lights back on that paid the full balance just as quick as they disconnect the power or press a button.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Duke Energy. Absolutely the worst, uncaring, no mercy or consideration power company there could be!! I'm only with them because I have to be because they are the provider for my area. They don't even give you ONE day. Not one day past your payment date before they shut the power off! They do not care what situation you are in, if lives are being put at risk. All they can tell you is call a charity. Wtf. A big ** to Duke. I'm 37 weeks pregnant, 3 toddlers in the house, living in Florida with a heat index of over 100° and they simply just don't care. My bills have been extremely high, over $200 every month and I leave my a/c at 78°. I didn't even get one full day past my due date before my power was shut off! When I go to the hospital in a few hours because of heat exhaustion I'll be sure to let everyone know it's because of Duke Energy.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I AM SO FRUSTRATED!! I hate this company. They don't give a crap about the TIME you spent trying to fix THEIR problems with their stupid website. Their website sucks. It's so confusing to figure it out. I tried calling them and they did NOTHING to compensate me and my troubles. Man I wish I got those two girls' names. You guys owe me. I hate your company because you have done nothing but hurt and tear me down. Even the woman I talked to was making harsh comments about how dumb I was not to understand their website. Seriously, you guys owe me something for this. So annoying.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

In Charlotte, NC we lost power 3 times in one month (twice when it was barely raining)... neighbor ran into a couple of their workers who said Duke often just patches it for temporary fixes rather than replaces the line. SO UNSAFE. We've got children and moms in the neighborhood who can't let their milk for their babies spoil. Get it together, DUKE! We pay way too much money to have power outages at the frequency that we do.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I have a small condo in Florida I shut down in April. The only thing left on is a modem. For 25 yrs the bill has always been the minimum. The past 2 months have been over $75. After talking to very untrained rep a long time I'm a 1000 miles away and they tell me to read the meter. Not any help at all.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Having been with Duke Energy for 30+ years, I was shocked at the lack of interest and courtesy a customer service rep showed during a phone call regarding my latest Duke Energy bill today 8/13/19. My bill almost tripled this month and the excuse? The ten day heat wave that hit Indiana! Seriously??? The is a LOAD of BS and I will tell you why. I live in an 800 sq ft duplex. We do not use our TV, and for the most part we only run the air conditioning at night since we are usually gone during the day. I always turn the air way up to 83 degrees so that it doesn't run while we are not at home. No children or pets here. We have a very standard cheap fridge and stove (I have been in the same small rental for 6 years). No stand alone box freezer. Two adults live here and we only do laundry once per week. We do not watch TV. We use a laptop and desktop computers while home.

I have my bills from all the years that I have been here and they are all consistent from year to year. I will tell you right now, this is most likely being caused by the smart meters they have been installing in/on everyone's home in the recent past and the "heat wave" is their excuse to cover up these outrageous charges. My summer bill runs between $ 60 and $70 and this month it was $149??? It has more than doubled and something MUST BE DONE to stop this highway robbery and monopolistic fleecing. Duke Energy started in the tobacco industry and has had their hands in many cookie jars and WE are the REAL reason for their successes and their financial power and they need to be reminded of that! Here is a list of what this "powerhouse" currently is invested in. It just goes to show how the greed of these huge corporations cost us big time. https://www.duke-energy.com/our-company/investors/stock/ownership-profile

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

If I could give a lower rating I would. Horrible customer service, they exist to stick it to the consumer. Don't even give a full 30 days from issuing the bill to the time it's due. Feel for fixed income customers, I have no doubt they do this to stick the customers with late fees.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

Somebody said they were moving to my address. Didn't pay the deposit. My lights were disconnected without me ever knowing. Now they want another deposit and my lights I had on for 3 years are off. They should have some type of verification in place with the person who name the lights are in. No one should be able to call and say I want power at this address and they take their word!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I have had trouble with Duke Energy for about 4 years. Considering they are the most popular energy company you would think they would be a little bit more on top of things but you cannot expect that with monopolized companies. I wanted to set up a payment plan and was on hold for 50 minutes, I repeat 50 minutes! During this 50 minutes I was transferred a total of 3 times, each time have to wait at least 15 minutes; each of the customer service providers had me confirm 3 pieces of information before realizing they couldn't even help me because they weren't in my region! Come on Duke, I know you can be better than that.

When I was finally answered, I was on the phone for approximately 3 minutes. I was told I had good standing and could receive the payment plan which is the only thing I am pleased with. I haven't been the best customer but I haven't missed a payment in about a year, I feel as though your company should care more about your customers. This whole fiasco could've been handled through your automated system. Having to wait almost a whole hour for a 3 minute conversation is ridiculous. Be better, try harder and care more.

Duke Energy Company Information