2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.00/5

Duke Energy Reviews

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I didn't have any issues with Duke until I moved out of my past residence. They refused to shut off my gas and charged me for someone else using the gas and keep telling me it's my fault for not letting them in. Their words were the homeowner is responsible for letting them in. Well I wasn't the homeowner, I was only a tenant with no access to the box they needed to get to with a landlord that refused to answer my calls and messages to get the gas out of my name. So my landlord was getting free heat at my expense. It took months for them to finally get this taken care of, but they're still charging me for the months I wasn't living on the property. I was talked down to by customer service, basically being told to deal with it and pay the bill in full before I was hung up on.

The Utility Commissions unfortunately couldn't do anything about it because the service box is located inside the building so they can't prove Duke did anything wrong and told me to sue the homeowner for reimbursement. Heads up to anyone looking to rent, if the service box for electric or gas is located somewhere you and the tech can't gain access to without the landlord present to gain access to it, especially if you have to go through Duke Energy, don't rent there. You will be screwed over when you try to move out by both the landlord and Duke Energy. The landlord gets free power/heat and Duke sticks you with an absurd bill and hurts your credit score and if you are on PIPP assistance, you're now stuck with a past due balance of way over and you can't get PIPP anymore until that balance is paid in full. It's just not worth the risk.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I paid every month on the 15th, 9 days after my invoice date and after a year and a half of consistently paying the same day of the month, they turned my power off and charged me 465 as a deposit. Then they changed my due date to the 15th for me, but would not take off the deposit. I cannot wait 'til I have another electricity option!!!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I have lived in Winston Salem, NC for many years. Every year, there are needless outages. I can understand hurricanes, tornadoes, and snow. But, every year there are too many outages for fallen branches. We are charged line maintenance fees but apparently they are not done, or are not performed correctly. Duke uses "acts of nature" as a copout. Charging for services that are not actual done is criminal. 26 hour outage for fallen branches is unacceptable, especially when we pay for maintenance. Yet, we never see Duke trucks doing maintenance. Regardless after years of the same situations, still...power outages after some wind. This company is truly a Ripoff, unfortunately there is no alternative to them, even after the poisoning of our waterways fiasco...which we also had to pay for.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

After murdering scores of innocent trees in our neighborhood 2 years ago, now they are further persecuting us by wanting to do "brush control" (cutting down shrubbery next to a creek next to our yard). Duke Energy is an eco-terrorism company. We lost power last week for almost 6 hours because of winds. Yet they have cut down thousands of trees around here where, if all trees had fallen down, none would have ever touched any wire. They harm the environment and charge us to do it. They kill God's creation because they can.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I was watching local TV news after a half of day on the phone with the customer service. I know everyone bill is high but talking to customer service asking to check about my meter may be off "Our meters are checked daily and they're never wrong." I asked if the price was increased. Her response, "Not in North Carolina yet!!!" First there was a charge to do this but forget it. Almighty Duke is the only game in town. I'm too old and too poor to change over to burning wood and clothing to keep warm.

What really irked me was what I heard on the local WLOS TV as Duke adds charges on your bill that don't show or reflect on your statement. These hidden fees are to reimburse the fortunate few to get energy savings program, new furnace, air, water heater. Who pays for these fees? Duke does to offset costs. IT IS NOT REFLECTED ON YOUR MONTHLY BILL. A customer who uses 1000 kWh a month will pay an average of 60.00 a year in fees not shown on your bill

To me this is a form of thievery. Duke Power- The only game in town!!!! **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

My air condition when out in the hot summer months. Had to replace my dual package outside unit. Added a heat strip. I was able to get a new unit installed for 3400.00. It's a lot of money for someone on SSI. Get the permit and sent in all the paperwork for a 150.00 rebate. They come back to me saying only a SEER 15 NOT a SEER 14 would receive a rebate. The SEER 14 for only for a multi unit not a SFR. This does not make since. I wish I was off the grid with Solar Power. Duke is averaging 220.00 a month for electric on a 1400 square ft house.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I had already turned on autopay with credit cards and cable supplier. Duke was the last added for a bill on December 2nd. Having carefully checked on when payment would be taken I felt reasonably confident it would work. Double checked this morning having returned from west coast to find a red warning notice on the account. The system had totally failed. This is the first late payment I have had in 30 years. Cannot trust Duke to do this competently.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I had two homes that were under Duke Energy. I sold one and had $800 of credits from overpaying and being ahead. They took that money and turned my other home power off?!?! What sense does that make? On top of that, I just sold my other home and they won't even return my call for my credit back. I guess you should only pay what's due at the very last minute and NEVER pay ahead. They will take advantage of you for doing the right thing!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

I have been a customer of Duke Energy for six years and probably another 10 with their predecessor company Progressive Energy. Always pay my bill on time. I called to set up a second location of service and they require a new credit check. If they did not have a monopoly that forces me to use them for electric service I would take my business elsewhere. I don't mind having a credit check except for the fact that my credit has been compromised by criminals and I have intentionally frozen all three credit agencies. The worst customer service I have experienced in a very long time.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Pike apparently contracts for Duke Energy to install lines in Asheville, NC. I was told that my lines would be installed by Friday, Nov. 8th so I moved out of my current residence that day. Now it is Monday, and no power. Both I and my builder have repeatedly called the contractor for updates but no response. NONE. My son and I are so blessed to have family to live with but what if we didn't? They act like they could care less. All I would expect is for communication. This has cost me hundreds of dollars in delayed closing fees along with time spent trying to schedule appraisers, inspectors, loan closing folks, etc. Now my cats are living in a cold house with no power and the temps are expected to plummet tomorrow. Both Pike and Duke should be ashamed of this service. I would get fired if I treated my customers this way.

Not sure about Duke Energy?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Utility Companies for you.

Duke Energy Company Information