Duke Energy

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Overpriced. Charge outrageous connection fee. Power is constantly going out. Understand if power goes out during a severe storm. Today it rained a little and the power went out. Also, they don't give fair notice if you have paperless billing and you are late on your payment. They will hang a placard on your door and cut your power without so much as a phone call or text. But when they restore power, they will gladly call AND text!! Overall I wish there was another option. Truly hate this company and their utter lack of concern for the customers.

Just went through a divorce a couple months ago and went to change the billing info from my wife's name to mine and they want to charge me another security deposit of $360, we already paid a security deposit once. This is a ridiculous scumbag tactic.

My bill is paid on time. I'm always doing what I'm supposed to with Duke yet every month my bill is almost $200. I have electric efficient appliances, have changed all my light bulbs yet still EXCESSIVELY overpriced! And don't get me started on how half the bill is taxes!

I am almost beyond words over this. My father, who lived in a suburb of Orlando Florida passed away recently and the house along with non-valuable contents has been unoccupied since that time. Note that I live in Indiana and have no relatives closer. Due to the humid Florida climate, keeping air conditioning on is imperative to prevent mold from starting so I have kept the electrical service on and bill paid.

Here is where there is a twist. I noticed no bill came, either via USPS mail (which is being forwarded) or online notification for the month of February, and I am writing this in middle March. So I call Duke Energy only to be informed the service was disconnected back in early February! I was informed they do this when the homeowner passes away, and a letter should have been sent informing me I would need to start new service. I never received ANY communication indicating this.

So as it stands, the house has no electrical service, no air conditioning to keep the humidity down, no security cameras working, no lights on to deter a break-in - just sitting in the dark when we were paying the bill. I hope I can find another provider, as the house is in a location where there are multiple electrical providers available. I've heard nothing but bad about Duke Energy, and now see why first hand. The call center representatives are polite, but absolutely no help at all.

Last month I realized I didn't have enough money in my checking to cover my auto-draft. Rather than pay a bank fee, I took myself off the auto-draft and made a payment with my credit card. This was done the day before my payment was to be drafted. Duke Energy took the draft, even though I had a zero balance (they took it a day early), then took another draft when the first was rejected. This caused me to incur $70 in fees from my bank, when the payment had already been made. I contacted Duke via email because I always like having a written transcript of what was said/supposed to take place.

Four days later, I received an email confirming I had been removed from their auto-draft program. This email also stated they would look into the double payment (the second time the payment was drafted through my bank was approved.) This was on 2/20 (payment was taken on 2/9 through bank, 2/10 through credit card, and 2/15 through second attempt with bank.) Today is 3/10 and I had to contact them again about my double-payment as I have a payment due in 4 days. Not only was I argued with, but I was told I obviously hit the "Demand Payment" button, causing the bank draft.

I also found out that Duke opted to send me a refund via a check sent on 3/6, rather than credit my account the overpayment or refund it to my bank/credit card. Then, I was told it would take "a whole lot longer" if I wanted it credited to my current payment. When I complained about the ridiculousness of the situation, I was told "uh, you could go solar". So, I still have an exorbitant amount due in 4 days, no explanation as to why/when I'll get a refund check, and all I got was attitude? If there was a viable alternative, I'd run as fast as I could away from Duke Energy!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

I have been paying my Duke Energy bill every month on granted payment arrangements. On February 19, 2017 I processed a payment via their website for what was a past due balance that I had recently made a payment arrangement for with the very same bank account information I use to pay every month. In fact, I don't even have to enter the numbers anymore as it is saved on their website. As usual, I immediately received a confirmation e-mail for my payment. On February 24 2017 I called into the automated system to request a payment arrangement for my new past due balance (my due date is the 22nd of every month). The system granted me a payment arrangement to pay the balance on March 16, 2017 & advised me as usual that if the payment was not made that the service of course would be at risk of interruption.

Today, on March 10, 2017... my service was disconnected. Naturally, the first thing I did was call Duke Energy to make sure I didn't confuse my dates or something. The system advised me of my total balance & what amount of that balance was past due which was the amount I had already set the payment arrangement for. It then also advised me of that payment arrangement that was dated for March 16, 2017 & assured me once again that as long as that payment was made my services are secured. Obviously this information raised concern. I'm sitting in an apartment without power.

I then opted to speak with a representative & got an agent by the name of "Betty". I advised Betty of everything I stated above. Betty then advised me that my payment on February 19, 2017 was returned to them on February 27, 2017 which canceled any pending payment arrangements. She also advise me of a completely different balance from the one on their automated system & stated that it was now the amount required to be paid to resume service. I advised Betty that I received nothing stating that there was an issue with my last payment & the system just told me prior to speaking with her that my account was fine hence the reason I asked to speak with a rep in the first place.

I offered to pay the same payment I made on the 19th & simply chalk this up to some type of system error either on my bank or Duke. Betty advised me that would not be an option, that I would have to pay almost double (reconnect fees, late fees & return payment fees) & advised me that what I literally just heard the system advice is a lie. I asked to speak with her manager & "Natalie" took over the call. Natalie basically repeated everything Betty said almost as if it came off a script (which it probably was). They both obviously made no effort at all to look into this issue.

The fact I have been a customer for 5 years, never had an issue like this in the past & was more than willing to make the payment again was all completely ignored. I was treated like a deadbeat & a liar. Their only concern was to collect whatever the computer told them to & screw whatever this guy is talking about. I'm a manager for the finance & collections department for AT&T & hear situations like this one often. Maybe the customer entered a wrong digit, maybe it was a system issue. What kind of customer are they? What responsibility are they assuming? These are the components used when I address an issue like this... none of this was displayed with neither Betty or Natalie. I get it though... they have no competition. I HAVE to have Duke Energy so it's not like I can just cancel them & go to their competitor. So I guess they make customer service an option there.

This is a new service account as I just moved in. They took a huge deposit off of me at move in. My payment was a week late as I had a dispute on it. I came home to find my service shut off. I DID NOT RECEIVE ANY KIND OF NOTICE FROM THEM OR ANY WARNING OF A SHUT OFF DATE. Can anyone advise me as to what legal action I can take on them? I have many things that have been ruined due to no electric for a whole day. I am fuming as I know for a fact THEY DID NOT SEND ME ANY NOTICE OF THIS.

Daughter's electric disconnected. Advised amount needed to reconnect that evening - never showed up. Next day and literally 24 hrs later still had not reconnected. Customer service agents refused to pass to a supervisor, would leave us on hold for long periods of times. One agent decided to be unresponsive and would just go silent on the phone then repeat herself like a robot saying, "a technician will be there by 12:01 is there anything else I can assist you with." She claimed her name was Cheryl. When she said she was sending the supervisor an email, after 10 minutes of holding she returned saying she was reviewing account and again repeated what she said before. I told her she was contradicting herself and then she hung up on us.

Called corp who transferred me to a supervisor who claims could not reach dispatch. 24 hours of no reconnect is not acceptable service especially when telling someone to pay the extra fee to have done same day. Customer service failed big time - rude, nasty, unprofessional. Would not give operator id and never offered an order#-probably gave fake names... spoke to a Debbie, Asheley? and Cheryl - we called at least 4x's to no avail! Contact me and I will direct you to my daughter, but they need to reimburse for lost food as well!

I have a home in Indiana that is vacant, my power bill with Duke Energy usually runs $90 to $120. My bill for January to February 2017 was triple the amount -$460.00. The only thing that I use power for is a sump pump in the basement and my security alarm that uses hardly no power. I called Duke Energy and asked please to go out to the home and reread the meter to see if there was some kind of mistake and they did and told me that there was much power used but my next bill will be lower because now the home is using less. I told them again that my home is vacant and no one there to use power and I have a security system to prove no one was in the home plus there are no appliances in the home. Now I have been watching Facebook and see many people that live in Terre Haute Indiana with the same exact problem with their Duke Energy bill. Something is very wrong and now I will have to pay this huge bill.

Last November Duke came out and pulled my meter. I will admit I was 2 months behind on my payment, so I call that day and they tell me I will have to pay the full 900 plus dollars to get my service back. Fast forward 2 weeks I have the money call and pay them then I ask "how long will it take you to get out here today and turn it back on?" They said "oh we can't put the meter back in. Your meter box is damaged and for safety reasons we can't put the meter back in." They gave me a supervisor to call. He took 2 days to finally call me back, I ask how can it be so damaged it's unsafe? It's looked the exact same since I moved in. He told me "the guy who pulled your meter said it has a dent", I told him "yeah it's been there before I moved in so that means for the last 2 years you have been running unsafe power through my house."

He side steps says he don't know all the details looks like I have a unpaid bill, I told him no not anymore I'm paid up and want service. I had to get a private electrician to come out and install a meter box, then get an inspector to ok it. It took 3 weeks, meanwhile it is 2 weeks till Christmas and I'm still not back at my house, I have 3 kids and my wife is about to pop with the 4th and it's freezing. I call them up and tell them "ok I have jumped through all the hoops you have put me through, when can you come out and put the meter back?" He tells me January the 13th, I go nuts. It's been since November the 20th, it's now December the 16th, and he is telling me he can't send one person out to verify an inspection sticker and put a meter in.

I'm almost in tears on the phone trying to explain I'm a one income family I have 4 kids, my wife just had a baby last week, and right now I'm staying at a hotel and still paying my mortgage, please just send somebody. He could care less, I mean I don't know if they hear men choking up on the phone often but I don't choke up often and it was humiliating and he tells me "sorry can't help you. I will put the work order in but legally we have 6 weeks till we have to come out." I tell him I'm not talking legally I'm just talking humanly man to man, father to father please I'm drowning in bills keeping a hotel with 3 toddlers and a newborn and still paying a mortgage. He told the truth no one came out till January the 13th.

And worst the whole time the meter box was supposed to be so dangerous it still had power going to it. The electrician I hired had to leave and wait for them to come back and shut it off at the pole, so how could it be so dangerous if they still had power going to the darn box. I feel felt and still do mistreated and abused. Duke has a monopoly and they do whatever it is they want. And it gets worse, they put the meter in I go inside still no power I call, they tell me that day "well that account is dead. You have to start a new account and pay a new deposit, 600 bucks." Then the very first bill that come is 400 bucks way bigger than any bill I ever had before.

I personally hate Duke and any and all Duke employees, still to this day any truck I see I give them the finger. I don't even know if all the things they did to me a put me through was legal but it sure wasn't right, I was stuck and they didn't try to help really help once and I never cussed or yelled. I put that on everything. I tried to be as nice and courteous as possible thinking maybe I would be treated better, NOPE in every conversation I had with them they just kept saying "well if you would have paid your bill in the first place". Don't they understand how hard it is, especially when they are gouging every cent they can get away with.

Dealing with this government funded monopoly charity is enough to make a decent citizen go berserk. This dishonest enterprise said they sent me a power bill for a rental property I own that I never received. I have a flawless credit, over an 800 FICO score and pay ALL my bills on time or early. This shady outfit sent me to collections for 2 months of bills totaling just under $87.00 that I never got in the mail. Outrageous, and now I was sent to collections like a dodgy bill payer. HATE this bloated underperforming, terrible customer service joke of a utility!!!

Duke Energy is the most money hungry light bill company I've ever seen. They raise your bill sky high and acts as if it's OK. They are full of it. No matter if you're old or young set income or whatever they will cut you off and add extra deposits to your bill just because they want to. Tired of them period.

I moved in with my now husband in February 2014. When I moved in, I switched all of the bills to my bank account and set Duke for auto draft. This was fine and went well until October 2014. Somehow two numbers got transposed on my bank account info, randomly after months of hitting my account just fine, and they started charging someone else's account for my bill for 3 months. This other person had the same bank, luckily, and was able to contact me through the bank since Duke told them it was not their fault.

Of course, I paid them all of their money back and called Duke to have this corrected going forward. They said because the last payment got returned I had to pay a $300 deposit and could not use their auto bill pay feature anymore. I talked them out of the deposit since this was not my fault and had never missed a payment. How does the info get changed randomly after months of clearing my account fine?

Still to this day, I have to fight them every month to get a payment through since they are still trying to charge that other person's account. But I cannot change it online, since I have no access to this feature... Also, we have two lights on our property that Duke provides power to. The light in my backyard started flickering all night long. So I called to have it fixed. They said 2-3 business days and someone would be out to resolve the issue. 2 weeks went by and nothing. So I called again. Was told that they contract the work out and they don't know who it was contracted to and could not tell me their schedule. They will be out when they can. So I waited and waited.

It has been well over a year that this light has not worked and still not one person has even come by to look at the light. So I shot out the bulb. And they still charge $60/month for the lights, like they work and won't take them off the bill because someone is coming to fix them... Are you kidding me? Now, for the month of December 2016, I logged in online to pay my bill and it let me use the auto pay option! Like they had finally fixed it. How dumb was I to believe that. So I checked my bank account info, corrected it and posted the payment. Got my confirmation email and went on with my life.

A few days later, I got an email saying my payment was returned. SO I go online and it says my bill was paid and the balance was $0. I call just to confirm, they tell me the same thing, bill is paid. A few days go by, I get a notice my new bill is posted so I check it to see how much it is. $604! Now there is a past due amount, it did not clear because again, they tried to charge that other person's account and another $300 deposit they want, plus the next month's bill.

So I ask, "why when I call do you tell me the account is fine? And where do you suppose I come up with an additional $300 for Duke when I can't afford the bills I already have?" Food in my child's mouth is more important than money in Duke's pocket. And you will just never believe what I was told. The response was, "THAT SOUNDS LIKE A MRS. ** PROBLEM, NOT A DUKE ENERGY PROBLEM." This company must be shut down. They have a monopoly where I live. If I wouldn't be evicted from my own property for not having power, I would cancel it today.

I live in a small condo (900 square ft). My summer/winter electric bill averages $75. I spent the entire last month (January) in Florida. When I left I turned off my electric furnace. I can do this because I live on the second floor and the gentleman below me keeps his place toasty warm. In fact, when I am home my furnace rarely comes on. I also turned off my electric water heater. The only things consuming electric in the month of January were 4 digital clocks and my refrigerator. I received an electric bill for $170. This is the highest bill I have ever received. I called customer service to complain but, of course, no rational answers were given. She suggested it could be a wiring problem in my home or bad appliances. Everything in my place is brand new. It's never a good feeling to get "ripped off"! I don't know how some people sleep at night!

I called Duke energy this morning, I was on the telephone with them for 1 hour or more. I finally spoke with a young lady who kept me on the phone for another hour. I was concerned about my high electric bills in the summer and now. I heat my home with gas, my appliances are gas, my tankless heater is gas. The only thing I use electricity for is lights, washer and dryer. I do not use my washer and dryer every week or every day. She preceded to tell me that those things use power also. And to make things worse she said "I'm sitting at my desk and I can tell you what you are using and what it is based on and that we have just installed new meters. I thought to myself, my bill has gone up more than when the old meters were in. And oh, how ridiculous was her statement.

I think Duke Energy is taking advantage of some consumers. I wanted the young lady to send someone out to evaluate, her response was "You can get an electrician to go through your home and maybe they can find the problem". My immediate response was, "An electrician will not be able to tell me if the problem or problems are in Duke Energy's equipment". She then said, "We have new equipment and there would be no problems". This is not a statement to make to a consumer. As a consumer, we purchase items all the time, and on some occasions, some of these items have defects. My point is, my power bill should not be so high. I questioned it during the summer, last year, this year, and this winter.

I want another electric company in my area. There are other energy companies in the area, and their cost are very reasonable. Duke Energy has raised their prices every year, they have done nothing to help the consumers. I don't know how people on a fixed income are surviving the increases. Give us a break, consumers should not be paying salaries for engineers to sit in their offices, drink coffee, play golf and do nothing while consumers are paying up the yahoo for something they are not getting. As I stated my power bills are extremely high, someone needs contact me. My number is **. I will continue to reach out until I have received help and a solution. Thank you.

I moved and discontinued service. Before I discontinued service I had auto-draft setup through their website. They discontinued the auto-draft and did not send me a final bill. It was a good thing that I double checked on ensuring everything was paid because of this. Also it is their policy to send it straight to collections without warning days after it was over due. The bill due date was less than 30 days after discontinuation as well. I will never subscribe to this business ever again!

I live in Cincinnati and Duke Energy is, unfortunately, the only real provider of energy services in the area. So we're trapped. I own a home with my husband, decent size, nothing too large so our energy bill is usually within the realm of reasonable, although still higher than we'd like. Last year, we paid an average of between $120 and $180 a month for service. Ok, fine. We managed.

However, last month, the bill jumped to $312. No increase in usage, no weather difficulties, nothing changed except their rates. Purely because Duke decided to gouge customers because it, well, felt like it and honestly could because it's a monopoly. People may disagree with calling them that but, yes, they are a monopoly. And there is nothing we can do except beg them to have some dignity and respect and stop screwing over their customers for profit. Maybe our government will listen, probably not because, well, I'm sure Duke is a nice campaign contributor but good lord, how much are we supposed to take? For now, my family is going to have to budget even more tightly but God forbid we threaten corporate profits.

Like everyone I had to start out somewhere and because this was my first apartment I had to pay a $200 deposit, that's understandable. For a year I paid as normal, and I never had a problem, the most I paid was $90 lowest $50. I called a month before I moved and the same week I moved to ask about my deposit, I was told twice that my deposit would be deducted for my bill. I moved and waited for it to be deducted, and nope. I called and they told I had to pay this one and then my bill would be deducted, about $50 ok paid, well guess what!!! Next bill came around and the same thing happened again and again nothing was taken off, lol Duke.

My landlord had a problem with the place we moved in and we had to move. We only lived there for a MONTH and a half. We moved and informed them it would be another company so I would no longer need service and about my deposit AGAIN they told me it will be deducted from this bill and the rest would be returned. Well one week after moving a get a bill of $100 plus! Excuse me??? Call me crazy but how did I spend $300 in 2 WEEKS! I called asking for an explanation! Well guess they really wanted the deposit because they said it was all my fault for not paying on time, that my deposit had all be taken up by LATE FEES and I still had to pay and to pretty much "suck it up".

I told them I didn't pay because I keep getting told it would be deducted and it never was. I even told him my payment history and there was not one month I didn't pay so how! He told that it was a lie he didn't know who told me that and that it would be deducted little by little and not all at once, and I keep telling him that Customer service told me! And he keep telling me no and to be glad my deposit covered some of my late fees, I still had to pay and I called again and I was told the same, funny how all the other 10 plus I call before said the same thing and now there all saying the complete opposite. Talk about a MONEY HUNGRY company that will tell you anything to keep that deposit. Funny how they say one thing before they give you your deposit and when it's time to get it back they have no idea who said that and your deposit disappeared oh and it's your fault so they want their money.

I am currently not staying in the house I'm writing about. My bill the last two months has significantly gone up. It's interesting that it's also the last two months of my equal payment plan and my credit was exhausted to the point I had to pay $230 on my last bill. My bill has averaged around $90-99. I have called at least a half a dozen times trying to find help and answers as to why my bill continues to go up with NO success.

I'm being told someone is probably stealing my power. To go look for jumper cables attached to my meter. Really? And, because I said I'm not staying there currently they refuse to come and do a home assessment so the alternative is to pay these thieves whatever they bill me without ANY EXPLANATION AT ALL. I have no alternative to Duke Energy so if I want to have the lights on then I must pay whatever they bill. NOTHING has changed at my home for the bill to fluctuate AT ALL. It simply doesn't make sense, seems deliberate and criminal.

Constant power outages, continued estimated bills that require payment. Power surges from going off and on so many times in a day. Extremely, inconvenient pump used in the home as well as elderly resident. The attitude of Duke power is one that "we are only power source. Deal with it, pay for it and shut up". There has got to be a way to hold them accountable as they do me if I can't pay my bill.

My power bill this month was $866.26. I live in a 1000 sq. ft. townhouse. The best part is that my dryer broke and has not been used all month and we were a week without the air conditioner running.

On 12/30/16 I received an ebill from Duke saying I owed $70. 90 and my payment was due on 1/23/17. The problem is that I'm on an equal payment plan for $50/mo that's usually due somewhere between the 1st and 5th of the month. I went to their website to view my account and it showed my account as deactivated. I called... call #1... and was told someone either called to get service at or to cancel service at my address, so they closed my account, because of someone else's error. I think if someone does that shouldn't it somehow flag you that someone at that address not the person calling... already has service at that address? The person I talked to said ok, took my bank info and supposedly it was all fixed.

I checked my account online again on Jan. 4 thinking it would all be good, but it still showed account deactivated, so, call #2. The person I talked to this time told me something completely different... that I needed a new account and had to re-enroll in ebilling and re-enroll in automatic withdrawal and they didn't have my bank information. I then asked, “Why can't you just transfer it from the old account since it's the same information?” She was able to do that, and I removed the old account from my account overview. I checked the next day and it said account pending, so I said, ok, maybe it takes a few days. I checked again on Jan 9. Still saying account pending. So... call #3... and again I'm told something different. This time that my meter would be read the next day and then it would be reflected on my account on the 12th.

I checked today, Jan. 13. Still saying account pending, so... call #4... I explain everything all over again and this guy has no clue what's going on so I asked to speak to someone else and I'm put through to his rude supervisor who feeds me more BS about them having to adjust my bill for the electricity used at this address. I try telling her, what needs to be adjusted, I'm on the equal payment plan, I pay $50/mo and if I get a bill for more than that I'm not paying it and why should I have to because of someone else's screw up? She tells me if I won't pay more than $50 that's my choice.

By this time I have lost all patience and I said the word ** and she accused me of using profanity and if I said it again she would disconnect my call. It was not my intention to get into a pissing contest with her but all I wanted was for someone to tell me when this was going to get resolved and that it shouldn't take 2 weeks and I shouldn't have had to explain the issue to 5 different people. I still half expect to have my power turned off on Jan. 23 because I didn't pay the incorrect bill. Am I just being impatient or should this really take over 2 weeks to be resolved?

We had the lights go on and off a couple of days ago. They came back on and the outlets for the guest bathroom, the fridge, and the master bathroom shower light went out and stopped working. After resetting the GFC both bathrooms started working again except the fridge is now not working. I call the Surge Protection and they tell me they don't know if they can help, I need to fill out a claim and then have someone fix the fridge and should expect a check in 4-6 weeks. I call around and a company says 250-350 to get it fixed... Problem 1, I was told when I first signed up that they would help with the process and get things fixed which of course is not true. Problem 2, just because I pay the money to get it fixed doesn't mean I will be reimbursed 4-6 weeks later. I have HAD IT with Duke. I moved here from Texas and this has been the WORST experience with any electric company ever!!!

A week prior to hurricane Matthew we reported to Duke Progress Energy that tree limbs on our property were hitting the power line causing dangerous sparking. Duke Progress had an assessor at our home the same day. He said because of the hurricane that it might be a few weeks before they could attend to the issue. After a few weeks an Asplundh crew showed up. They were very polite and dedicated to making us satisfied. We thought they would trim treetops which would have satisfied us but they went above and beyond and called in a tree eater to totally clear out under the power line cutting at least a 15 yard swath that won't be a problem for over 20 years. Thanks Duke Energy Progress and Asplundh for a fantastic job!

I am disabled and confined to a wheelchair. I draw a very small check the third of each month. December of 2016 as well as January 2017 Duke energy has pulled double payments from my checking account. My bank charges me $35.00 n.s.f. fee for every charge they pay that I don't have the funds to pay. December I ended up being overdrawn 196.00 due to other payments and the n.s.f. fee. Already this the 5th of January 2017 I am overdrawn 118.00 due to Duke Energy first collecting 239.12 that I owed and then 2 hours later they collect 259.12 I did not owe. Both deductions on January 3rd 2017. I go online to their site and pay my bill. Both months I have been accused of hitting submit twice. They take my money within minutes, but they have to take over 30 days to write me a check and mail me my money back. BAD BUSINESS PRACTICE!!!

Duke Energy is the worst power company I've ever had. Moved in with my boyfriend and everything there was in his name. I got mail there such as cellphone bill and cigarette coupons etc… Lived there for 1 year and we broke up so I moved out. We remained friends afterwards. He lived there 6 months after I moved out. Got me a small apt and paid my deposit and everything was good. Got my first bill in 2 weeks and it was $374. I was like wth how is my bill that high in just 2 weeks. Called Duke energy and they asked me if I lived at a address (which was where we lived before) and I said yes for about a year and they said they added my ex boyfriend’s old bill onto mine. How and the hell is that even legal? They said I received mail there so I was responsible for paying his bill if he didn't. Said the only way I could get his bill off mine was to give them his current address which I didn't know.

So I talked to so many people and they all just said pay it or don't have power and they have a right to do that. For one we're not even married and nothing was in my name that had anything to do with his apt. He lived there about 6 months after I already moved out. I think something needs to be done about that. They shouldn't be able to add someone else's bill to yours just because you live together. Whoever name it is in is the one and only person that should be responsible for that bill. Worst experience I've ever had. Not only they raise your bill and threatened to turn your power off regardless of anything. They don't even care if you got kids, if your food rots or sick. They will leave you and your family in the dark!!

Duke Energy is **. These ** have had power off since 2 am and still gave turned on power. It's 52 degrees in my house and my wife is prego and kids freezing. ** Duke Energy. Y'all ** need to fix the power talk on bout 12 o'clock. It's ** cold. Hurry up.

I was a previous tenant at 5324 Poinsettia Drive in NPR, FL. I left a large bill unpaid in my name for this address. Electric was turned off before new tenant moved in. New tenant put in an application for service and was denied. She was told to send a notarized lease in to them which she did. They did not approve the notarized lease. This lady is stuck with no electric because of my bill and it just seems illegal. They also gave her all my personal info from my account, slandering me. Sounds very illegal.

I offered to make a payment arrangement and they did not say a word. Not good business! Law says: "The local utility provider may not refuse service to a new property owner or tenant at the property where the delinquency occurred. This action would be akin to holding the new property owner or tenant liable for the former occupants utility debt, which is not allowed. Give this new tenant electric... this is ridiculous. Take my bill up with me... don't punish the new tenant. Terrible collection tactics.

I recently moved and my grandmother temporarily moved in to assist with child care as we transitioned. She permanently moved in with my parents after about a month. She had her Duke Energy account transferred to our new address to help me out with the move. We received our first bill of $224.00. The bill did not reflect any late charges or roll overs from her previous address. It is important to note she had added me to her account in the past as an authorized user as she is in her 80's, in and out of the hospital and on a budget. This made it easier for me to help her manage her bill when she needed assistance. Several of her household bills were set up the same way. However we had not resided together until this past August (now 3 months ago).

Fast forward to present and I had taken steps to transfer the service into my name once she moved along to my parents’ home. It was during this time that they discovered (I say discovered as this did not reflect on the most recent bill) a past due amount that accumulated as a result of carry overs for more than one of her past residences. The total amount due was over $1,800 dollars.

They refused to establish service in my name until I paid her account balance in full. They even took the $400 deposit I had made for my account and applied to her balance with no approval from me. They stated they were holding me responsible because I was the lease holder since August and because she had named me as an authorized user on the account at some point over the years. I tried to compromise by accepting responsibility since the date of my lease and repaying (the amounts accrued since the move in August were paid in full) those costs to no avail.

It is the week of Thanksgiving. I have no power and am being held accountable for her unpaid balance because I'm a good granddaughter and help her with her budgeting and bill paying. The only way I'll be able to pay this is by not paying my rent which will cause another dear situation. Duke reps explained they can do this and do because people will use others to avoid paying late fees and deposits. That's a flaw in how they do business. They should require a lease or deed to establish service then you are holding the right person accountable. The way they are doing this is based on assumptions and disregarding explanations that can be proved to exploit whomever they can for money. It's completely unethical. I will be consulting an attorney as I can prove where I have resided prior to our most recent move and it was not with her. I believe they do this to people thinking they have no recourse. Maybe we don't but I intend to find out.

I signed up for paperless billing and several times I did not receive my bill. By the time I realized it my payment was late and they charged me a late fee even after I said I did not receive a statement. They basically just said they sent it and I was at fault so I had to pay the late fee. Also their website is one of the worst I have encountered.

Duke Energy Company Profile