Duke Energy

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I moved in with my now husband in February 2014. When I moved in, I switched all of the bills to my bank account and set Duke for auto draft. This was fine and went well until October 2014. Somehow two numbers got transposed on my bank account info, randomly after months of hitting my account just fine, and they started charging someone else's account for my bill for 3 months. This other person had the same bank, luckily, and was able to contact me through the bank since Duke told them it was not their fault.

Of course, I paid them all of their money back and called Duke to have this corrected going forward. They said because the last payment got returned I had to pay a $300 deposit and could not use their auto bill pay feature anymore. I talked them out of the deposit since this was not my fault and had never missed a payment. How does the info get changed randomly after months of clearing my account fine?

Still to this day, I have to fight them every month to get a payment through since they are still trying to charge that other person's account. But I cannot change it online, since I have no access to this feature... Also, we have two lights on our property that Duke provides power to. The light in my backyard started flickering all night long. So I called to have it fixed. They said 2-3 business days and someone would be out to resolve the issue. 2 weeks went by and nothing. So I called again. Was told that they contract the work out and they don't know who it was contracted to and could not tell me their schedule. They will be out when they can. So I waited and waited.

It has been well over a year that this light has not worked and still not one person has even come by to look at the light. So I shot out the bulb. And they still charge $60/month for the lights, like they work and won't take them off the bill because someone is coming to fix them... Are you kidding me? Now, for the month of December 2016, I logged in online to pay my bill and it let me use the auto pay option! Like they had finally fixed it. How dumb was I to believe that. So I checked my bank account info, corrected it and posted the payment. Got my confirmation email and went on with my life.

A few days later, I got an email saying my payment was returned. SO I go online and it says my bill was paid and the balance was $0. I call just to confirm, they tell me the same thing, bill is paid. A few days go by, I get a notice my new bill is posted so I check it to see how much it is. $604! Now there is a past due amount, it did not clear because again, they tried to charge that other person's account and another $300 deposit they want, plus the next month's bill.

So I ask, "why when I call do you tell me the account is fine? And where do you suppose I come up with an additional $300 for Duke when I can't afford the bills I already have?" Food in my child's mouth is more important than money in Duke's pocket. And you will just never believe what I was told. The response was, "THAT SOUNDS LIKE A MRS. ** PROBLEM, NOT A DUKE ENERGY PROBLEM." This company must be shut down. They have a monopoly where I live. If I wouldn't be evicted from my own property for not having power, I would cancel it today.

I live in a small condo (900 square ft). My summer/winter electric bill averages $75. I spent the entire last month (January) in Florida. When I left I turned off my electric furnace. I can do this because I live on the second floor and the gentleman below me keeps his place toasty warm. In fact, when I am home my furnace rarely comes on. I also turned off my electric water heater. The only things consuming electric in the month of January were 4 digital clocks and my refrigerator. I received an electric bill for $170. This is the highest bill I have ever received. I called customer service to complain but, of course, no rational answers were given. She suggested it could be a wiring problem in my home or bad appliances. Everything in my place is brand new. It's never a good feeling to get "ripped off"! I don't know how some people sleep at night!

I called Duke energy this morning, I was on the telephone with them for 1 hour or more. I finally spoke with a young lady who kept me on the phone for another hour. I was concerned about my high electric bills in the summer and now. I heat my home with gas, my appliances are gas, my tankless heater is gas. The only thing I use electricity for is lights, washer and dryer. I do not use my washer and dryer every week or every day. She preceded to tell me that those things use power also. And to make things worse she said "I'm sitting at my desk and I can tell you what you are using and what it is based on and that we have just installed new meters. I thought to myself, my bill has gone up more than when the old meters were in. And oh, how ridiculous was her statement.

I think Duke Energy is taking advantage of some consumers. I wanted the young lady to send someone out to evaluate, her response was "You can get an electrician to go through your home and maybe they can find the problem". My immediate response was, "An electrician will not be able to tell me if the problem or problems are in Duke Energy's equipment". She then said, "We have new equipment and there would be no problems". This is not a statement to make to a consumer. As a consumer, we purchase items all the time, and on some occasions, some of these items have defects. My point is, my power bill should not be so high. I questioned it during the summer, last year, this year, and this winter.

I want another electric company in my area. There are other energy companies in the area, and their cost are very reasonable. Duke Energy has raised their prices every year, they have done nothing to help the consumers. I don't know how people on a fixed income are surviving the increases. Give us a break, consumers should not be paying salaries for engineers to sit in their offices, drink coffee, play golf and do nothing while consumers are paying up the yahoo for something they are not getting. As I stated my power bills are extremely high, someone needs contact me. My number is **. I will continue to reach out until I have received help and a solution. Thank you.

I moved and discontinued service. Before I discontinued service I had auto-draft setup through their website. They discontinued the auto-draft and did not send me a final bill. It was a good thing that I double checked on ensuring everything was paid because of this. Also it is their policy to send it straight to collections without warning days after it was over due. The bill due date was less than 30 days after discontinuation as well. I will never subscribe to this business ever again!

I live in Cincinnati and Duke Energy is, unfortunately, the only real provider of energy services in the area. So we're trapped. I own a home with my husband, decent size, nothing too large so our energy bill is usually within the realm of reasonable, although still higher than we'd like. Last year, we paid an average of between $120 and $180 a month for service. Ok, fine. We managed.

However, last month, the bill jumped to $312. No increase in usage, no weather difficulties, nothing changed except their rates. Purely because Duke decided to gouge customers because it, well, felt like it and honestly could because it's a monopoly. People may disagree with calling them that but, yes, they are a monopoly. And there is nothing we can do except beg them to have some dignity and respect and stop screwing over their customers for profit. Maybe our government will listen, probably not because, well, I'm sure Duke is a nice campaign contributor but good lord, how much are we supposed to take? For now, my family is going to have to budget even more tightly but God forbid we threaten corporate profits.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Like everyone I had to start out somewhere and because this was my first apartment I had to pay a $200 deposit, that's understandable. For a year I paid as normal, and I never had a problem, the most I paid was $90 lowest $50. I called a month before I moved and the same week I moved to ask about my deposit, I was told twice that my deposit would be deducted for my bill. I moved and waited for it to be deducted, and nope. I called and they told I had to pay this one and then my bill would be deducted, about $50 ok paid, well guess what!!! Next bill came around and the same thing happened again and again nothing was taken off, lol Duke.

My landlord had a problem with the place we moved in and we had to move. We only lived there for a MONTH and a half. We moved and informed them it would be another company so I would no longer need service and about my deposit AGAIN they told me it will be deducted from this bill and the rest would be returned. Well one week after moving a get a bill of $100 plus! Excuse me??? Call me crazy but how did I spend $300 in 2 WEEKS! I called asking for an explanation! Well guess they really wanted the deposit because they said it was all my fault for not paying on time, that my deposit had all be taken up by LATE FEES and I still had to pay and to pretty much "suck it up".

I told them I didn't pay because I keep getting told it would be deducted and it never was. I even told him my payment history and there was not one month I didn't pay so how! He told that it was a lie he didn't know who told me that and that it would be deducted little by little and not all at once, and I keep telling him that Customer service told me! And he keep telling me no and to be glad my deposit covered some of my late fees, I still had to pay and I called again and I was told the same, funny how all the other 10 plus I call before said the same thing and now there all saying the complete opposite. Talk about a MONEY HUNGRY company that will tell you anything to keep that deposit. Funny how they say one thing before they give you your deposit and when it's time to get it back they have no idea who said that and your deposit disappeared oh and it's your fault so they want their money.

I am currently not staying in the house I'm writing about. My bill the last two months has significantly gone up. It's interesting that it's also the last two months of my equal payment plan and my credit was exhausted to the point I had to pay $230 on my last bill. My bill has averaged around $90-99. I have called at least a half a dozen times trying to find help and answers as to why my bill continues to go up with NO success.

I'm being told someone is probably stealing my power. To go look for jumper cables attached to my meter. Really? And, because I said I'm not staying there currently they refuse to come and do a home assessment so the alternative is to pay these thieves whatever they bill me without ANY EXPLANATION AT ALL. I have no alternative to Duke Energy so if I want to have the lights on then I must pay whatever they bill. NOTHING has changed at my home for the bill to fluctuate AT ALL. It simply doesn't make sense, seems deliberate and criminal.

Constant power outages, continued estimated bills that require payment. Power surges from going off and on so many times in a day. Extremely, inconvenient pump used in the home as well as elderly resident. The attitude of Duke power is one that "we are only power source. Deal with it, pay for it and shut up". There has got to be a way to hold them accountable as they do me if I can't pay my bill.

My power bill this month was $866.26. I live in a 1000 sq. ft. townhouse. The best part is that my dryer broke and has not been used all month and we were a week without the air conditioner running.

On 12/30/16 I received an ebill from Duke saying I owed $70. 90 and my payment was due on 1/23/17. The problem is that I'm on an equal payment plan for $50/mo that's usually due somewhere between the 1st and 5th of the month. I went to their website to view my account and it showed my account as deactivated. I called... call #1... and was told someone either called to get service at or to cancel service at my address, so they closed my account, because of someone else's error. I think if someone does that shouldn't it somehow flag you that someone at that address not the person calling... already has service at that address? The person I talked to said ok, took my bank info and supposedly it was all fixed.

I checked my account online again on Jan. 4 thinking it would all be good, but it still showed account deactivated, so, call #2. The person I talked to this time told me something completely different... that I needed a new account and had to re-enroll in ebilling and re-enroll in automatic withdrawal and they didn't have my bank information. I then asked, “Why can't you just transfer it from the old account since it's the same information?” She was able to do that, and I removed the old account from my account overview. I checked the next day and it said account pending, so I said, ok, maybe it takes a few days. I checked again on Jan 9. Still saying account pending. So... call #3... and again I'm told something different. This time that my meter would be read the next day and then it would be reflected on my account on the 12th.

I checked today, Jan. 13. Still saying account pending, so... call #4... I explain everything all over again and this guy has no clue what's going on so I asked to speak to someone else and I'm put through to his rude supervisor who feeds me more BS about them having to adjust my bill for the electricity used at this address. I try telling her, what needs to be adjusted, I'm on the equal payment plan, I pay $50/mo and if I get a bill for more than that I'm not paying it and why should I have to because of someone else's screw up? She tells me if I won't pay more than $50 that's my choice.

By this time I have lost all patience and I said the word ** and she accused me of using profanity and if I said it again she would disconnect my call. It was not my intention to get into a pissing contest with her but all I wanted was for someone to tell me when this was going to get resolved and that it shouldn't take 2 weeks and I shouldn't have had to explain the issue to 5 different people. I still half expect to have my power turned off on Jan. 23 because I didn't pay the incorrect bill. Am I just being impatient or should this really take over 2 weeks to be resolved?

We had the lights go on and off a couple of days ago. They came back on and the outlets for the guest bathroom, the fridge, and the master bathroom shower light went out and stopped working. After resetting the GFC both bathrooms started working again except the fridge is now not working. I call the Surge Protection and they tell me they don't know if they can help, I need to fill out a claim and then have someone fix the fridge and should expect a check in 4-6 weeks. I call around and a company says 250-350 to get it fixed... Problem 1, I was told when I first signed up that they would help with the process and get things fixed which of course is not true. Problem 2, just because I pay the money to get it fixed doesn't mean I will be reimbursed 4-6 weeks later. I have HAD IT with Duke. I moved here from Texas and this has been the WORST experience with any electric company ever!!!

A week prior to hurricane Matthew we reported to Duke Progress Energy that tree limbs on our property were hitting the power line causing dangerous sparking. Duke Progress had an assessor at our home the same day. He said because of the hurricane that it might be a few weeks before they could attend to the issue. After a few weeks an Asplundh crew showed up. They were very polite and dedicated to making us satisfied. We thought they would trim treetops which would have satisfied us but they went above and beyond and called in a tree eater to totally clear out under the power line cutting at least a 15 yard swath that won't be a problem for over 20 years. Thanks Duke Energy Progress and Asplundh for a fantastic job!

I am disabled and confined to a wheelchair. I draw a very small check the third of each month. December of 2016 as well as January 2017 Duke energy has pulled double payments from my checking account. My bank charges me $35.00 n.s.f. fee for every charge they pay that I don't have the funds to pay. December I ended up being overdrawn 196.00 due to other payments and the n.s.f. fee. Already this the 5th of January 2017 I am overdrawn 118.00 due to Duke Energy first collecting 239.12 that I owed and then 2 hours later they collect 259.12 I did not owe. Both deductions on January 3rd 2017. I go online to their site and pay my bill. Both months I have been accused of hitting submit twice. They take my money within minutes, but they have to take over 30 days to write me a check and mail me my money back. BAD BUSINESS PRACTICE!!!

Duke Energy is the worst power company I've ever had. Moved in with my boyfriend and everything there was in his name. I got mail there such as cellphone bill and cigarette coupons etc… Lived there for 1 year and we broke up so I moved out. We remained friends afterwards. He lived there 6 months after I moved out. Got me a small apt and paid my deposit and everything was good. Got my first bill in 2 weeks and it was $374. I was like wth how is my bill that high in just 2 weeks. Called Duke energy and they asked me if I lived at a address (which was where we lived before) and I said yes for about a year and they said they added my ex boyfriend’s old bill onto mine. How and the hell is that even legal? They said I received mail there so I was responsible for paying his bill if he didn't. Said the only way I could get his bill off mine was to give them his current address which I didn't know.

So I talked to so many people and they all just said pay it or don't have power and they have a right to do that. For one we're not even married and nothing was in my name that had anything to do with his apt. He lived there about 6 months after I already moved out. I think something needs to be done about that. They shouldn't be able to add someone else's bill to yours just because you live together. Whoever name it is in is the one and only person that should be responsible for that bill. Worst experience I've ever had. Not only they raise your bill and threatened to turn your power off regardless of anything. They don't even care if you got kids, if your food rots or sick. They will leave you and your family in the dark!!

Duke Energy is **. These ** have had power off since 2 am and still gave turned on power. It's 52 degrees in my house and my wife is prego and kids freezing. ** Duke Energy. Y'all ** need to fix the power talk on bout 12 o'clock. It's ** cold. Hurry up.

I was a previous tenant at 5324 Poinsettia Drive in NPR, FL. I left a large bill unpaid in my name for this address. Electric was turned off before new tenant moved in. New tenant put in an application for service and was denied. She was told to send a notarized lease in to them which she did. They did not approve the notarized lease. This lady is stuck with no electric because of my bill and it just seems illegal. They also gave her all my personal info from my account, slandering me. Sounds very illegal.

I offered to make a payment arrangement and they did not say a word. Not good business! Law says: "The local utility provider may not refuse service to a new property owner or tenant at the property where the delinquency occurred. This action would be akin to holding the new property owner or tenant liable for the former occupants utility debt, which is not allowed. Give this new tenant electric... this is ridiculous. Take my bill up with me... don't punish the new tenant. Terrible collection tactics.

I recently moved and my grandmother temporarily moved in to assist with child care as we transitioned. She permanently moved in with my parents after about a month. She had her Duke Energy account transferred to our new address to help me out with the move. We received our first bill of $224.00. The bill did not reflect any late charges or roll overs from her previous address. It is important to note she had added me to her account in the past as an authorized user as she is in her 80's, in and out of the hospital and on a budget. This made it easier for me to help her manage her bill when she needed assistance. Several of her household bills were set up the same way. However we had not resided together until this past August (now 3 months ago).

Fast forward to present and I had taken steps to transfer the service into my name once she moved along to my parents’ home. It was during this time that they discovered (I say discovered as this did not reflect on the most recent bill) a past due amount that accumulated as a result of carry overs for more than one of her past residences. The total amount due was over $1,800 dollars.

They refused to establish service in my name until I paid her account balance in full. They even took the $400 deposit I had made for my account and applied to her balance with no approval from me. They stated they were holding me responsible because I was the lease holder since August and because she had named me as an authorized user on the account at some point over the years. I tried to compromise by accepting responsibility since the date of my lease and repaying (the amounts accrued since the move in August were paid in full) those costs to no avail.

It is the week of Thanksgiving. I have no power and am being held accountable for her unpaid balance because I'm a good granddaughter and help her with her budgeting and bill paying. The only way I'll be able to pay this is by not paying my rent which will cause another dear situation. Duke reps explained they can do this and do because people will use others to avoid paying late fees and deposits. That's a flaw in how they do business. They should require a lease or deed to establish service then you are holding the right person accountable. The way they are doing this is based on assumptions and disregarding explanations that can be proved to exploit whomever they can for money. It's completely unethical. I will be consulting an attorney as I can prove where I have resided prior to our most recent move and it was not with her. I believe they do this to people thinking they have no recourse. Maybe we don't but I intend to find out.

I signed up for paperless billing and several times I did not receive my bill. By the time I realized it my payment was late and they charged me a late fee even after I said I did not receive a statement. They basically just said they sent it and I was at fault so I had to pay the late fee. Also their website is one of the worst I have encountered.

They will charge you for electricity that you have not even used. They do this to charge more money. You could be gone for a month and they will still claim that you used more than your previous month's bill. They also have this nasty little habit of taking funds from your bank account without your authorization. In legal terms, this is fraud and a scam. They think their political connections can protect them from any consequences. THERE IS A WAY TO STOP THEM. Submit a complaint to the FTC at ** and the North Carolina Department of Justice at ** since their headquarters is in Charlotte, NC. Tell these agencies how Duke Energy has ripped you off and they will work to sue them and stop this once and for all!!!

I wrote a complaint with the NC Utilities Commission concerning Duke Energy in regards to my Duke Energy bills have been extremely high. I live alone. They claimed they investigated and that the bills are accurate. They are not. Don't bother contacting the NCUC for any sort of assistance; they could care less. Obviously they cover for Duke Energy; they must be connected financially. Consumers really have no help or no resources to assist you at Duke Energy; whether your bills are accurate or whether you can get appropriate billing arrangements they really don't care and the truly sad part about it is for those of us that live in Raleigh North Carolina we have no other option for energy because believe me if we did probably all of us would be using that resource and not Duke Energy. When they merged with Progress Energy it became the worst days of our lives and we are still living in them right now.

Duke Energy is not concerned, at all, about its customers' lives or well-being. If they were, they would send out explicit notices to customers BEFORE disconnecting an essential public utility such as power. I accidentally signed up for paperless billing and would miss notices that way. Then, when I changed the email address, it reverted to the old one. The employee put the disconnect notice on the garage door (of all places) rather than ringing the doorbell as they are supposed to do so that no one who was home could pay in that moment or would be made aware. It's like a game of cat and mouse. Employees are trying to meet a quota instead of looking out for consumers! So, now, I have to wait in queue to get my service turned back on today. Two trips, instead of one, and total inconvenience and embarrassment for me.

This shows you what Duke Energy thinks of their customers. No, it isn't a charity, but the least they could do is alert consumers/customers prior to shut off!!! Ring the doorbell or leave a visible note 24-hours prior to shut off. It the least they can do. I paid my bill and power will be restored, but meanwhile, the slow cooker won't cook the chicken and my child will need to figure out how to homework in the dark. Ridiculous. And, before I hear, well if you had paid on time... That's all well and good, but Duke Energy is providing a SERVICE. Duke Energy is a PUBLIC SERVICE UTILITY. It owes customers more respect. IF I had a CHOICE of providers, I would move to one with better customer service ASAP. Monopolies are exploited which is why they should not exist.

So we will be moving to a new home where we need to get new service with Duke Energy, I went on line and they pulled my credit a couple of times and never came back with a deposit amount. My husband did it and finally we got an amount $545 which is the average over 12 months of the previous renter's bills (this is where I get bothered). The next day they call my husband who is out of town now and asked him question, he texted me because he does not have the information and ask me to call. Well they state that they now need me to use my name again, even though I am listed on his account... Hmmm then they pull my credit again, and yes it is a hard inquiry. Then they tell me deposit amount and then inform me if I get 1 late notice they will keep my deposit! WTF? Unbelievable, & scandalous.

Moving on as I already put a deposit on the property and it's too late to tell them to get lost. I ask about the budget plan. Well, this is where it gets good... it seems that they cannot allow me to be on the budget plan until I have had service for a year because they need to review a year average for the amount of the billing (sound familiar?). SO they can use another person's electric billing to charge me an outrageous deposit, but they will not use that same amount to place me on a budget friendly billing. This woman then tells me that they will keep my deposit at the end of 24 months to pay my bill (well, that deposit is to gain 8% interest (I assume annually as they do not define). I told her I don't want them to use that deposit and that I will want my money back and she says "well then pay your bill." I am sorry but when did she get the right to be a snotty brat? That's what you get when the utilities are a monopoly. UGH!

I called Duke Energy over a week ago to ask them to investigate why my bill is so high. I am an unemployed military Veteran and asked them to 1) explain how there could be a standing disconnect notice and I have paid well over the $88 monthly bill {$178.67 in August then $252.50 in September}; 2) Why it has been well over a year and my $200 deposit has still not been returned to me?; 3) Why Duke is raising my monthly average billing payment to over $100?; 4) Why they refuse to do an energy audit on my residence or investigate my claims but still want to disconnect my power? I asked them what they are basing the disconnect order on and they have refused to help me or return my phone calls!

The last customer service rep I spoke to, Mark **, said they would investigate my concerns. But even though I spoke to him over a week ago Duke is still going to disconnect my power on October 24th, without addressing my issues! This is NOT fair and since Duke Energy has bought out every NC politician and the state agency (NC Utilities Commission) that is supposed to protect us consumers then no one will help us stand up against these corporate bullies!

After checking all my gas appliances I called Duke Energy and reported smelling gas. The technician arrived and from what I saw used a gas detector all over the house and finally identified 3 small leaks in the basement. I asked him to mark them and gave him some string so when the plumber came the leaks could be found quickly considering it took the Duke tech a half hour to locate the leaks and he did so without a compression test. He then told me I had to have 2 flexible connectors replaced. There was nothing wrong with the connectors and they were in code when the furnaces were installed in 2004 but now they were not in code.

I live in a home that was a 2 family and have two finances which means I have double the cost. I was not given any proof they were out of code and was not told whose code it was. Once I spoke to a plumber I found out it was going to cost me almost 400 dollars to change the connections. Since the connections weren't bad and there are likely many others in the city or state with the same thing WHY would a Duke Energy require I replace them? What kind of business comes into your residents and causes this kind of expense? The leak in the pipe was repaired and I am now waiting for a Duke Energy technician to turn the gas back on. I have been waiting for 5 hours. It's now well after 10 pm.

The next time I smell gas I will not call Duke Energy. This is what this has taught me. I will not call Duke Energy because some little jerk may come to my house and tell me to fix something that is not broken and then keep me waiting after spending 1159.00 dollars. Duke Energy I do not trust you to come into my home in the future and wonder why you feel the need to push this consumer around? Since there are many others with the same equipment you will not convince me it was for my safety. What kind of training and what kind of supervision do you provide your techs that this is how they behave? I think it's discriminatory to force me to repair something not broken when others who have the same equipment are not. What else is it but discrimination?

As a Hurricane Matthew survivor and while lucky and realize this, I am very upset by the lack of caring about their customers. In order to place a outage complaint it seems to fall on deaf ears or shall we say deaf computer generated ears! We lost power on early Friday morning as the storm rolled in, while this was certainly a terrible storm we are 34 miles inland and had some minor damage. On Saturday I ventured out only to find Duke Energy trucks everywhere but our neighborhood. This could have been better handled with more crews placed in our area. The very first we saw of anyone was on late Saturday! On the outage page it explained they were surveying the damage. Well it's now Monday morning and I have no power. I have called over and over to only get their automated system which quite frankly is poor at best!

If it had not been for the men in our area with trucks and chainsaws our area it would still be hard to move around our area! I would like to say this is the worst power company I have ever had. Obviously customer care and satisfaction rank really low on their list of priorities! I wish that they (meaning company execs) could walk a mile in our shoes. I have probably lost all the contents of my refrigerator and freezer which total well over $500.00. We are on a fixed income and while to some people this doesn't seem like much but to us we may take a year to recover!

The hardest part is that not one single employee from Duke is out now working so when they tell you they work through the night to restore your power that is A BOLD FACE LIE! You would know after all you have to have your windows open! Not one Duke Employee!! Where is Florida power and light? They have fixed all their issues!!! Too bad we as consumers can't choose an electric company! In closing if you are unlucky enough to have no choice but Duke/Progressive good luck!!?

Beware of Duke Energy. Their level of corruption and scare tactics that they use shocks on their customer shocks me. We were signed on the equal payment plan. Although throughout the year on at least 4 separate occasions we updated our payment information and paid what they said was due. This September of 2016 they sent us a bill for 1207.00. When we called we got three different explanations. I spoke to them on Sept 4 and their representative was either too lazy or untrained or possibly Duke needs to show a profit to their shareholders, so they have to come up with a way to get more revenue from their customers. It gets even worse when we called. They do not provide information in writing. Everything is verbal. What kind of a business is this? So then I called the NC Energy Commission to complain: They were even less helpful. I wonder if they Have a conflict of interest?

They definitely did not seem interested in even understanding the problem or providing us with information in writing so that we could clarify and verify and pay what is due. What I think might have happened is Duke Energy apparently removed us off their equal payment plan due to their employees either being too lazy to communicate, or untrained to communicate, or simply because they need to show a profit to their shareholders by billing individual citizens at the last minute before they file their quarterly earnings. They assured me repeatedly that they were receiving payments automatically and apparently never updated the account.

I wish I could back bill after the fact Comcast or Time Warner or Verizon when their service is out. But apparently the playing field is not even and a multi-million dollar power company can pull any amount out of a hat and the individual consumer just has to bend over and pay it without even a single written statement or invoice. Moral of the story beware of the equal payment plan and also know that every October, Duke Energy will come up with some excuse to overcharge you for the previous year and say that you are suddenly past due. This also has happened to our neighbors. We are not even an isolated case. We are baffled at how they can behave this way. I will not let this go. In fact if something similar has happened to you please post. Maybe we can get a class action lawsuit going.

My wife and I relocated to FL from PA four months ago. Setting up our power account with Duke Energy was a breeze. This month we neglected to pay on time. We were 14 days delinquent due to misplacing our paper bill. Our power was shut off this am with ZERO additional warning! The company says we were emailed warnings. Nope. No emails, no phone calls, no text messages. Of course, my wife immediately called to pay the bill and have our power re-instated. She was told by an account rep they could not discuss our account with her as she was not listed on the account. They harassed her and eventually hung up on her. When I called back later in the day to settle the matter and to ensure she was on the account I was told, in fact, she already was listed on the account as an approved account holder and she should not have been harassed.

We complained profusely there was no adequate warning. The representative spewed their policy at us. The company says we were emailed warnings. Nope. No emails, no phone calls, no text messages. We were told our power would be turned back on by midnight! It is now 9 hours later. No electricity. This is not just a matter of inconvenience. This is not cable television or some form of non-essential entertainment - this is your power. This is a life safety issue! This is Florida, with 90 plus degree temperatures on a daily basis. People's refrigerators are full of food that will go bad. In addition, my wife works from home. No power. No internet. This is people's livelihoods you are messing with Duke Energy!

In PA your power would not be shut off unless you were more than 90 days delinquent with numerous warnings including automated telephone calls! There would be late fees, of course, which is reasonable. There are many legitimate reasons for being delinquent on your power bill. Turning off your power with such little warning is just not warranted! Duke energy is a powerhouse - 6 - state monopoly with zero respect for their customers! They need to be put in their place. What can the little guy do?

I was lying in bed at about 8:30 am when they came & turned my lights off. I called the system to see how much I owe since a couple days prior I just paid 80$. At 918 I get the 60$ I owe up and pay at the nearest pay center. Call Duke with my receipt number and tell them I need service restored as soon as possible didn't want my food destroyed plus I had small children to cook for. Inside it was so humid. We went to sleep hoping they would be ok soon to connect. Woke up it's 2 pm no truck. I'm still in the dark not able to cook or cool down. I called them and they tell me they will be back sometime today. It's ridiculous you come turn off quick. But come reconnect when you want. Heartless pieces of people.

Got Duke Energy on the run. Paperwork and math dont lie. Just people at Duke Energy. Reported them 3 times of illegal billing days Of 32 just like Aug 2013 and they are charging us 4 to 5 different energy charge of 1000 KWH and fuel charge. They just Flipflop the charges. Email their attorney yesterday proof of 10 different charges, billing cycles of month of August 2016. Having a meeting with Miss Erin Brockovich to help me get them out of Florida this month. Duke will be out of here by next year. Bug lady Florida law can't wait to see them in court. Told them today on the phone as I filed the complaint with the public service commissioner. I hope you do too. Look at all your bills. You'll see what I see.

Well here we are again in Cheraw with no lights!! No power! Yet There is no storm, just HOT!!! This is usual for Duke Energy! I wrote before, get your crew to come cut trees off lines, better yet, put y'alls lines underground. Heck maybe y'all can keep lights on. Y'all are a pitiful light company and if I could I'd switch in a skinny minute! Light deposits are outrageous and never get them back and deal with **!!! Stop filling up y'alls pockets and get y'alls trees cut. Now our power is gonna run forever trying to get our houses back cool and without us people y'all wouldn't have any business. Why don't y'all sell out and let a company that cares about their people and not their pockets come on--- ash spills y'all won't clean up, and every darn week we without power! Hey how about instead of sending us out letters stating we used more power one month than last (trying to get our houses back cool from no power) use that money to CUT THESE DAMN TREES?

Duke Energy Company Profile