1.09/5
Based on 111 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

Duke Energy

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 21, 2018

817 Duke Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Duke Energy is a joke. Someone used my information to create an account and ran the bill up to 300 dollars even after informing Duke Power that I have proof that it was not me. They are still making me pay the balance and it's also on my credit report.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

My complaint about Duke Energy was that I was 6.00 shy of the full amount needed to avoid disconnection of power yet they still cut off my power. I imagine I will get charged a large connection fee as well. Part of the problem as well is that they do not accept some of the credit cards that I had, I could have paid the 6.00 if they had accepted American Express. At any rate I am really, really frustrated with this, couldn't they have moved the measly 6.00 to the next bill? I actually had to leave work, put a check in the bank, go back to work, pay the measly 6.00 and hopefully my power will be back on in the next 6 hours. Horrible experience!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Charging uncurbed fees for their services is only one downfall for this company. Getting in touch with customer service is nearly impossible. Duke Energy adjusted and updated their website and sign-in procedures and as a result, I was unable to sign into my account. Since I'm currently living overseas, in Germany, I can't contact Duke Energy. What a disappointment. In Florida, Seminole County, there is no choice of a any other provider: Duke Energy has a monopoly! Very disappointing and disturbing.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I have kept my thermostat on 70 like I do ALL year long and this month it has doubled in price. I was gone from my house more in the month of January than any other month and it still much higher than it should be.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Sunday at 11am I lost power to my residence. Later it was discovered that a pine tree fell on the power line. The pine tree's fall ripped the wires running to the breaker box attached to the residence and Duke Energy's meter, damaging the property and resulting in a loss of power. My uncle mentioned that it was discussed at an earlier date that the pine tree that fell should have been cut down previously when a different pine tree fell into the road on the poverty resulting in a loss of power. On Sunday, the Duke Energy employee fixing the power lines stated that I, the resident of the home, is responsible for hiring and paying for a private electrician, having the breaker box inspected by an electrical inspector at my cost, before Duke Energy will install a meter and reconnect power restoring power to my residence. I feel as though I should not have to pay for the breaker box damage or any other damages to my residential electrical equipment.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Every time I try to sign into my account, Duke Energy makes me change my password. When I try to sign in with my new password, it says it's incorrect and makes me change it again. Don't treat me like I'm stupid--I know my username and password! You certainly know how to reach me if my payment is late, but trying to reach YOU when I need customer service is impossible! Why don't you fix the problem? This is LOUSY customer service!!! I've lost count of the number of times I have tried to reach you regarding this problem and nothing is ever done!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Household 2 adults 1 baby. Nov was 180. Dec was 220 and somehow our Jan bill is 390. We've lived in this house a year and it's never ever been this high. We ran the a.c. all summer never went above 180. What the heck is this almost 400$ crap. Very upset with Duke and I hope they are willing to lower it because they won't get my money without a fight. Calling first thing Monday.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I have been trying to get service turned on since I moved from Atlanta to Greensboro this past Saturday. First, they insisted the meter number did not match the address. Then, after several calls from both me and my landlord, I was told it would be on today. I called around noon for an ETA and was told they have until 9 pm and that they have no “window”. It is now 7pm and my disabled veteran father and I are STILL sitting here in the dark with no heat and no electricity. I recently had electricity turned on at another home in GA and the electricity was ON before I even got back to the house. This waiting is ridiculous and as far as I can tell, completely unnecessary.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Never seen a excessive bill until December 2016. Been with Duke since 2013 here and prior at other residents. Bill normally run $123 at the most. Dec it jumped to Dec 2017 $272. Now Jan 2018 bill $242. There’s no changes in the way utility, lights, heat system and it appears to be fraud intent to my account usage. Area location Whiteville North Carolina. Contact me by the appropriate information submitted.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

We relocated last Fall and became Duke Energy customers. Our home is very well insulated, has a metal roof and brick foundation. It is 1500 sq. feet and we heat with portable propane and only use the electricity for the furnace for backup. I do one load of laundry a week (Purchased LG Washer/Dryer new in November). Very efficient!!! We cut down the hot water heater to the lowest setting in mid-December. There are just me and my husband who live here and our power bill went up almost 100.00 for January. We are both retired and on a fixed income and this has just knocked us down financially.

We have never ever had a power bill in our lives this high. My husband called Duke last week and talked with 2 representatives because the first one said they do not transfer calls to a supervisor. Their comments for the increase was the 2 snowstorms (mild) that we got. Unacceptable. He called them because they would not respond back to us after contacting them through their website or social media pages. We asked them in the contact form to please send someone out to check our meter. It has never happened. I did Google and find out that they had recently settled with the Coal Ash customers affected so this is just too coincidental that everyone I talk to and see post online that their power bills went up drastically.

We are truly disappointed having Duke Energy right now but are stuck with them. They also charge a small fee just to pay your bill online or over the phone. Rutherford Electric who we had since 1993 never ever did that. Anyone that had your account number could call 24/7 and make a payment using an automated system. Duke Energy is just too big and are like the Banks that they can do no wrong and get by with it. We are trying to find help now to pay this bill. Their programs they offer you have to beg from them to give you the names and phone numbers but yet they ask on their website to please contribute so other people stay warm. What a joke!!! Greed at its finest.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I am submitting this for my elderly aunt who does not have internet access. A smart meter was installed in her home by Duke Energy a very short while back. Since then the power in her living room and utility room no longer work and a portable heater was damaged from and almost started a fire. She has contacted Duke Energy who said there was nothing wrong. She was having no electrical problems before this meter was installed. Since they will not address the issue, a licensed electrician is being hired to check out the situation and make any repairs. I would like to know how to make sure that Duke Energy is held responsible for this. God help them if there is an electrical fire before repairs are made and that device is removed. Again, this is for my elderly aunt's home, not my own. Please advise.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

This has happened not one but multiple times - I can't login to Duke Energy website. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I never had this problem with PSNC and water bill payment. To pay online Duke charges additional $1.50 dollars which is ok if they give good support. If Duke Energy is not able to manage the large customer base then they should split. I would like to have Progress Energy back... Showing energy ads on TV is not going to help. They need to improve customer service and can start with good website.

Phone helpline is the same. There was a additional charge on my bill and I called in so Duke Energy official can help. But the response was - "You can call anyone you want at Duke Energy but this charge cannot be waived." They were not able to provide any explanation for the charge either. Disappointing, inconvenient, Can't believe this is happening in America. Duke Energy gives me a feeling of dealing with low level, corrupt Indian company...

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

They enforced a smart meter on us. We have lived the same way, in the same house, with temperature the same, lights the same. My January Bill doubled plus some!! They are telling customers that the bills are right... That it was colder this DEC than last year. Uh... NO. Only 3 degrees different "outside" which doesn't affect our inside as our home is well insulated. They also said too many Christmas light... Wrong again!! Didn't have any.

Duke Energy is ripping people off bigtime because they are basically a monopoly (and I don't mean the cute game!) There is definitely something wrong here and something needs to be done. The news channels just accept the companies "representatives" which are being paid by Duke to say that. Please, somebody... HELP. We are purposely not using lights and walking around with flashlights and lanterns to make sure we don't price-gouged again. Duke does not deserve our hard earned money! Some people are having to choose between paying electric or buying needed medicine or food. They are Evil to the core!!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Ever since my new meter was installed September 2014 I have been experiencing high bills. January 24th I called and spoke with customer service and the agent requested authorization from the manager which the manager refused to send a technician out to investigate my high bill and also refuses to do a another meter reading. This time last year I used 303 ktw. This year my bills states I used 703 ktw. That is the 400 ktw more than last year's reading.

I currently use 98% less electricity than I did last year because I have an underground water leak. I'm not showering meaning I'm not blow drying my hair or using a flat iron. I no longer have cable. None of my TVs or DVDs are plugged into the wall. I no longer am able to use my dishwasher, washer or dryer. I do not do laundry at the house anymore. The washer and dryer are not plugged in. I no longer have the security lights turned on except for the one on the front porch which turns off a split second after it turns on. I used to cook every single meal at home but I'm unable because I cannot wash the dishes. I do very little cooking. I basically walk around in the dark, I bought battery operated lights. When I make coffee as soon as the pot brews I unplug the coffee maker. Nothing in the house stays plugged except the stove, refrigerator and robot vacuum. I no longer plug the vacuum into vacuum because I have the robot vacuum.

There is no way possible my bill should be higher when I use less energy. I'm currently using 98% less electricity than I was last year and my bill says that I used 400 ktw more than I did last year. It's impossible I have used less energy and Duke Energy refuses to reread my meter or come out to investigate the meter. I live in a single-family home. All my neighbors are married with kids, I'm the only person living here. I'm very conservative with the power that I use. I take the extra step and energy to unplug something immediately after I use it. My usage should reflect close to like someone is not living here because minimal power is being used. Lately all my bills are 3 times higher ktw than the previous years.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I qualified for assistance from DSS and Duke Energy is still threatening to disconnect my service. On January 2, 2018 I went to the Department of Social Services for Low Income Energy Assistance. Our household was approved for assistance in the amount of $300.00. The total amount due on the bill to avoid disconnection was $364.91 so I paid $65.00 on the bill because DSS is covering the other $300. I contacted Duke Energy on January 15 to confirm that my electricity payment was received and that my service would not be disconnected. It is currently 20 degrees in my location right now and snow is expected tomorrow. I have a child in the home.

I have the paperwork from the Department of Social Services confirming my Duke Energy account number and the promised payment amount, but that is not substantial enough for Duke Energy. They want a phone call from the Department of Social Services, even though, as I tried to explain to three "customer service representatives" and a "supervisor", the Department of Social Services is closed on holidays. I even tried to contact the emergency line to report child abuse/neglect to get in touch with them.

Nobody is working with DSS on holidays. However, even with proof that I qualified for energy assistance, Duke Energy states that after 5 pm today, the total amount due will go up to almost $600 to avoid disconnection. They do not account for government holidays and if they are going to accept government payments, they should recognize those holidays and make allotments for exactly this situation. They will not delay disconnection to give me time to be able to contact DSS. Duke Energy has a monopoly in my area, there is no other energy service provider for my address. Furthermore, Duke Energy was awarded the right to raise it's customers' rates to recoup the fines they had to pay for their coal ash spill. This company is a joke.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I’ve been with Duke Energy for 5 years. My bill has always averaged about 60 a month. Then when I went into the equal payment a month program. My bill has tripled, now they saying I owe 1000. I don't know what I'm going to do. Something needs to be done about this.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

How is this company allowed to operate like this? Where are the regulators? Do they not look at the insane amount of complaints coming from the consumers regarding this company? I had called in to set up my account on auto pay, apparently it did not get done, (as many here have also complained). Bill showed a past due of $73 which was 6 days late, I received a call saying my service was going to be disconnected. I immediately paid.

When I called in they stated my acct was red flagged and was transferred to a manager by the last name **, which is about the rudest individual I have dealt with on the phone, and I quote "It doesn't matter if the last representative messed up, I am the manager and I have the last word." Asked the guy why he is being so rude, he hung up the phone.

Called once again and spoke to another representative, he stated that my account showed no payment for the past three months, and because of it I would have to put up a $430 deposit, I explained that payments DO indeed show on the account because I was logged in and looking at it! I had to give the manager my username and log in, once he indeed verified that I was making my payments, he stated, "Sorry, I see your payments and I see there is a problem in our system showing something different, but there is nothing I can do about the deposit, it is mandatory."

I asked, "But why? You clearly show an error on your end, you clearly show that my payments were made on time, why do I have to come out of pocket $430 because your system shows erroneous information?" Manager stated there was nothing he could do, he understands it was a mistake on their system, but I am still liable for $430 deposit or my service will be shut off.

I am literarily being high jacked out of $430 due to no fault of my own, as of this writing I sit here appalled at how this company operates. Literarily getting jacked out of $430 or they will shut service at my business, even though my account is paid in full!!! Duke energy: You have my payment history. This is not right, THIS IS EXTREMELY UNETHICAL!!! YOU CANT KEEP DOING THIS TO PEOPLE!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I feel like Duke Energy extorts us for our money! They charge whatever they want to charge regardless of the usage. How can the bill be the exact same 2 months in a row when one month the A/C unit wasn't even used for half the month? I missed paying my bill yesterday which was simply a slip up. They turned off my electric at 9:49 am. I get home around 4 pm, call Duke and pay the past due amount. They did not turn my electric back on until almost 11 pm that night! THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE! They did not waste a second turning the electric OFF, so use the exact same energy to turn it BACK ON when payment is received! And why is that they are the only company we can use? Shouldn't there be a choice as to which power company you can use? Imagine if you only had 1 cell phone to choose from or one cell phone service provider! It's a monopoly and they get away with murder!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Wednesday - 1/3/2018 when I returned to my residence in Kernersville, NC I had a door notice that my Duke Energy Meter had been changed. So... I had to wonder exactly how this took place since the meter is in a FENCED AREA with a LOCK on the entrance. Supposedly there was a 3rd party who either JUMPED THE FENCE OR PICKED the LOCK to get access to the area where the meter is located. So far I have contacted and spoken to *multiple employees* at DUKE ENERGY and have NOT BE PROVIDED with any answers to my questions. So... is this indeed a LEGAL WAY TO DO ANYTHING THESE DAYS??? MAKE NO MISTAKE... I do NOT have an issue with getting a *SMART METER* at all. But I do think having a *smart person to install it* is very important.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Duke Energy messed up and did not transfer my account as I requested online. I even called customer service on 11/27/17 to ensure everything was done. Then I find out today that nothing was done. My old place the account never ended on Dec. 22 as I requested and the account was never transferred to my name at the new place as I requested on 11/27/2017. The customer service rep stated it would be transferred to my name on 11/28/17. Which none of that happened!

Then today the customer service rep could not do anything for me but just transfer my account today for me to have it effective 1/8/18. I asked that I requested to have the old acct closed on 12/22/17, but Duke Energy company didn't do that, so now I have to pay that bill up to today 1/5/18 because of their mistake? And she can't do anything about that and credit me back those days to make it right? So I asked to speak to management and she "claimed" she was a supervisor. I hope that someone please go and investigate this crooked monopoly company! I can't change to another electric company because there is no other electric company in my area to go to. This is total BS!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Duke Energy has been ripping me off for about 4 years now, no one lives in my home, but yet I get a power bill this month for 371.00 for 1 month. I have never used it. Turn a light on or maybe check the building outside, but it's getting bad. I wish I could get power from somewhere else.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I'm having a problem. With Duke Energy here in FL. We got our bill in December. The middle saying it was $2000. Yeah that's what I said. Smh. I about fell over dead. I call after picking my chin up off the floor. Well they were telling me that a payment hasn't been made since October. You know when all the hurricane stuff was going on we had to evacuate also... Well we all know Duke. They would have shut it off a long time ago. Now mind you I talked to all of the supervisor I could. Nope. I owe that much since October. Well I'm thanking God we still have power. No I haven't paid it. I don't that kind of money. At all. I'm also a foster parent too.

I praying and watching outside every day to see if they are outside to shut me off. I don't know what else to do. I out of options and way out of time. If anyone has any recommendations please email me Please. I've tried all the churches for help. They are either out of funds or they only offer up to $200 and they said it won't even help keep it on so I also told them to give it to a family that it will help. Now we are supposed to have flurries this week and I can't take the stress of my power getting shut off any more. The kids and all of us are sick as heck to boot. Please if anyone knows of anything please email me. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

To start off with I was very mad. I called the customer service to talk to a representative about a billing issue. They kept me on hold for 20 minutes and I finally decided to hang up because I had other matters to take care of. NOT SATISFIED with this company.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

The company is just surviving because of the monopoly. If you call them they will make you wait for an hour. There is no callback feature. They are 20 years behind other companies.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

My experience with this company is terrible. Absolutely no compassion or care especially during this holiday season right before Christmas. Their motto is business over people and protocol or rules over helping others. I had a problem with a glitch in my online banking which caused Duke Energy to be sent two duplicate payments for the same bill. The bank said I could only get a refund from Duke Energy through their customer service since the bank had already sent the overpayment out and didn't have a way to retrieve it. So I called Duke Energy which claims there is nothing they can do and that once you pay too much you get a credit on your account but have no way to get it back and that I should call my bank back. They lied.

When I called my bank back the next day they told me Duke Energy has a way to refund me the amount and were just refusing to, so they advised me to call them back again. I did. This time when I spoke to the manager I told them what I knew according to what my bank had told me, that they could refund my overpayment and were just refusing to. This time they admitted they could refund it but refused to do it in time to keep my checking account from bouncing causing a fine at my bank of $30 and a fine to my rent of $50.

By the time they said the refund would reach my bank, it would come too late because I can no longer cover the cost of my other bills. I am on disability and struggling from month to month so I can't afford to pay the same bill twice by mistake. Duke Energy didn't care anything about that. She sounded very cold on the phone and just kept saying protocol says they can't refund me until ten business days later. That's well after my account will bounce and my rent being late causing me to pay $80 extra that I absolutely don't have on my low income.

I take care of my daughter and granddaughter on a disability income for one, so being late on anything would greatly harm us. That didn't matter to her. I could not afford to pay the difference once I was charged fines. I would forever be accruing more fees for not being able to get caught up with the original ones. She just kept repeating that protocol makes them wait until it's too late - ten days later. I'm sure if they cared enough they could have returned it immediately but no one tried to help me. I give Duke Energy a big thumbs down. They suck.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I am a previous customer of Duke Energy, my last date of service with them was in 7/17. I called them a month before to let them know I was relocating and was assured my final bill would result in a 147.00 credit owed to me. After calling the company when I relocated, they reneged on giving me my security deposit, citing unknown mystery charges they came up with. I am very upset Duke Energy choose to steal my money that is rightfully mine, with bogus charges.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I had a past due amount of 275.00 dollars which I was aware I owed. As I'm walking out of my house prepared to enter the garage I noticed the electric had been shut off. At that point I had cash or card to pay it right there on the spot because I couldn't play around because I have kids in the house. The technician was still outside disconnecting the power and I explained to him that I can pay you right now or pay Duke Energy direct right now. He told me that he couldn't accept any payments then he handed me a card to call Duke Energy which I did while he was standing there. As I'm on the phone he drives off and says he will be back and I begged him not to leave as I was making the payment right then. I continued with my call and proceeded to make my payment with took 5:07 (5 minutes and 7 seconds). I've been waiting and waiting and still the driver hasn't shown up.

It wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't have hungry kids of which one has special needs. This is completely frustrating and when I called they said it could be up to 9 pm for them to come back. I absolutely hate this company as they don't care the slightest bit of my family's well-being. Now I'm forced to leave my hot house and go to a friend's so we can be comfortable. I wish I can switch companies but of course I can’t... I’m stuck with a scrappy company who has no compassion for customers who spend 1000s every year with them. They need to change the way they communicate with the drivers who disconnect the power.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

Was without power for 8 1/2 hours. Was told several different times service would be turned in. I went to drive around in a 5 mile radius. Seen no workers! I called. Never able to speak to live person. Finally spoke to live person after 6 hours. She said they were working in it. About an hour later seen crew one block over. Then about an hour later power restored! I AM TELLING YOU NO ONE WAS WORKING ON THE REPAIR. I WENT TO THE STATIONS WHERE THE TRANSFORMERS ARE. NO ONE WORKING!! I just filled the refrigerator of food for Thanksgiving. Now it's gone. I am on a fixed income. I cannot replace this food!! I want $200 for the replacement of food.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Duke Power is the biggest scam company. The first full month in my apt. by bill was x amount. The second month which was two day shorter, and my heat pump went out for 2.5 weeks, and I work nights, the bill was almost exactly the same. Now this month's bill generated, and guess what... Yes, almost exactly the same to the penny, and I never turned the air or heat on since it was repaired because of the cooler temp. Biggest crock of crap I've ever seen. I live alone, work nights, don't use the dishwasher, and do maybe two loads of wash if that in a week. Someone needs to do something with this company.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I work just to pay Duke, forget paying anything else, grocery shopping is a privilege when you are at Duke's mercy. They have the market cornered, we have no other option for energy in NKY. Shame on Duke for draining people who are struggling to keep the heat on.

Duke Energy Company Information

www.duke-energy.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use