1.00/5

Need a utility company?

Need a utility company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Duke Energy Reviews

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I was watching local TV news after a half of day on the phone with the customer service. I know everyone bill is high but talking to customer service asking to check about my meter may be off "Our meters are checked daily and they're never wrong." I asked if the price was increased. Her response, "Not in North Carolina yet!!!" First there was a charge to do this but forget it. Almighty Duke is the only game in town. I'm too old and too poor to change over to burning wood and clothing to keep warm.

What really irked me was what I heard on the local WLOS TV as Duke adds charges on your bill that don't show or reflect on your statement. These hidden fees are to reimburse the fortunate few to get energy savings program, new furnace, air, water heater. Who pays for these fees? Duke does to offset costs. IT IS NOT REFLECTED ON YOUR MONTHLY BILL. A customer who uses 1000 kWh a month will pay an average of 60.00 a year in fees not shown on your bill

To me this is a form of thievery. Duke Power- The only game in town!!!! **.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

My air condition when out in the hot summer months. Had to replace my dual package outside unit. Added a heat strip. I was able to get a new unit installed for 3400.00. It's a lot of money for someone on SSI. Get the permit and sent in all the paperwork for a 150.00 rebate. They come back to me saying only a SEER 15 NOT a SEER 14 would receive a rebate. The SEER 14 for only for a multi unit not a SFR. This does not make since. I wish I was off the grid with Solar Power. Duke is averaging 220.00 a month for electric on a 1400 square ft house.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I had already turned on autopay with credit cards and cable supplier. Duke was the last added for a bill on December 2nd. Having carefully checked on when payment would be taken I felt reasonably confident it would work. Double checked this morning having returned from west coast to find a red warning notice on the account. The system had totally failed. This is the first late payment I have had in 30 years. Cannot trust Duke to do this competently.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I had two homes that were under Duke Energy. I sold one and had $800 of credits from overpaying and being ahead. They took that money and turned my other home power off?!?! What sense does that make? On top of that, I just sold my other home and they won't even return my call for my credit back. I guess you should only pay what's due at the very last minute and NEVER pay ahead. They will take advantage of you for doing the right thing!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

I have been a customer of Duke Energy for six years and probably another 10 with their predecessor company Progressive Energy. Always pay my bill on time. I called to set up a second location of service and they require a new credit check. If they did not have a monopoly that forces me to use them for electric service I would take my business elsewhere. I don't mind having a credit check except for the fact that my credit has been compromised by criminals and I have intentionally frozen all three credit agencies. The worst customer service I have experienced in a very long time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Pike apparently contracts for Duke Energy to install lines in Asheville, NC. I was told that my lines would be installed by Friday, Nov. 8th so I moved out of my current residence that day. Now it is Monday, and no power. Both I and my builder have repeatedly called the contractor for updates but no response. NONE. My son and I are so blessed to have family to live with but what if we didn't? They act like they could care less. All I would expect is for communication. This has cost me hundreds of dollars in delayed closing fees along with time spent trying to schedule appraisers, inspectors, loan closing folks, etc. Now my cats are living in a cold house with no power and the temps are expected to plummet tomorrow. Both Pike and Duke should be ashamed of this service. I would get fired if I treated my customers this way.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

How can a company charge deposits if people are already struggling to pay their normal bill? I think it’s a scam even though some say it’s allowed. I’m really confused on why a organization would want to create such a bad name for themselves. Customer service and customer needs are not put first.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Duke Energy disconnected my electric on 10/28 at 11 am. I paid the bill before 7 p.m.. I called every hour on the hour and kept being told my electric would be on momentarily. It is now 2:44 a.m.. I’m still out of power. Now at 2:47 a.m. they are saying I will be without power for another 6 hours due to the fact that energy protection doesn’t open until 8am. I have a service animal in my house as well as I have asthma.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Lived in several states and Duke Energy is by far the worst energy company I've ever had to deal with. I can't summarize 3 years of dealing with them except with this statement: they are blood suckers.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I contacted Duke today regarding new service at my apartment. I was required to pay $175.00 to start service with guarantee it will be turned on today. Once the payment was made I was required to wait up to 72 hours for a review to be conducted because there was a past due bill from the address and they needed to verify that account holder does not reside at my address. I spoke to Kelly employee number 12 and she pushed the review stating she verified he hasn't lived there since June. The service was to be connected. Instead she wanted payment for that account. I'm not authorized to even speak on the account. The review was closed stating previous account had not been resident. Still refused to clear the address.

I called back speaking to Sonja employee 11 that stated again I had to pay it. My name, address and account are cleared for service under Duke's requirements. The fact I've spent 5 hours today on the phone and still no service after stating yes I do meet requirements there's still no service. It is not at the employee's discretion to deny as long as Duke's satisfied as stated. The review was closed on the fact the address in my name with valid lease is eligible for service. The 2 employees kept me on the phone 5 hours repeating I was right but still nothing. The service is not to be personal. It's their job. The previous account holder's business being discussed is against the law but to require me to pay it is illegal and against Duke customer satisfaction guarantee.

Duke Energy Company Information