1.05/5

Need a utility company?

Need a utility company?

928 Duke Energy Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 17, 2019

Nightmare every time I try to deal with these people. Phones that disconnect. Forms I filled in they can't find. Reps that aren't even aware of the forms. Inferred the issues I had were fabricated. That's this latest call. Every time I attempt to get the simplest things accomplished with my service it takes hours of frustration. Often without resolution. Please people keep filing complaints to your state's Public Service Commissioner. Maybe if they get fined it will wake them up. HORRIBLE SERVICE!!

Original review: May 24, 2019

For some reason, this company is unable to "create an account" on the same day you request service for a property that just was disconnected a few days before (previous renter left and they cut service earlier than expected). It's literally creating an account.... for a house that already had service. They also don't create the account on weekends, or on holidays, so now my house will sit in 100 degree weather for 4 days. Must be nice to set whatever rules you want and your customers can't do anything about it, or have any other choice.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I installed a new unit because of the monthly cost last year! It has dropped 35% per month. A residental homes gets greater rebate and 1 seer less. My home is a manufactured which DE holds a different standard and increases the efficiency so they do not have to pay the higher rebate. When you look at the 5 states Tx, Ms, LA and Fl the avg monthly usage is 1180 but they are using the 1000KWH as their base. They are raking in money big time and the states PUCO are just rolling over and giving them rate increases when they ask and over looking issues. Manufactured homes DE is discriminate against and no one does anything. about it.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Our utility bill normally runs between $120-$160 per month. We've been in our house for eight years and have never had our service disconnected. This month, our bill came and it was $489.99! So of course we called to see why it was so much. Apparently, they are charging us a deposit due to too many late payments within a twelve month period. Is this how they treat loyal customers?

Original review: May 23, 2019

Duke Energy has a monopoly in the area or else I would use ANYONE else. When a drop of rain falls from the sky, the power goes out. In the past year my power has gone out 6 times, and two of those times were for 4 days at a time. They do not communicate with customers to provide accurate restoration times. Words cannot express my dissatisfaction with this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Original review: May 22, 2019

They put new meter on my house but didn’t attach pole to the house but said homeowner's responsibility. I am a senior citizen and if they took bracelets off why am I responsible to attach them back. Yet we pay our bills monthly. I believe they are an overpriced company taking advantage of everyone. I sure wish we had a different utility company to choose from not just a rip off company.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Employees of this company are saying one thing over the phone and then do the other! And no way to prove because we are not the ones who recording the calls... Supervisor said he will waive the fee of deposit and put in the notes. He didn’t!!! How can people be this way???

Original review: May 11, 2019

Our bill every year follows the same highs and lows. February is highest then March is lower, April is lower, May is lowest. My bill in February was $305, March $242, April $295, May $354. So today I called Duke Energy after receiving my bill and ask for help with overpriced bill. They looked it up all the way back to 2017 and found my trend to be accurate. My usual bill for May is $115-125 NOT $354. He kept saying how he can see how this could be a concern for me. After several holds and no headway. They only confirmed the new meter was installed last year, and the data from the meter tells them it is working properly. I ask them to send a tech out to check it out because it was not sending the correct data, and the bill history is proof something was wrong.

They then told me about power saving tips like LED lighting and cutting off my HVAC breaker every day when I leave home. And some other things. And I should have my HVAC tested and my electrical breaker box checked to find my problem. I then informed them I AM the head Operations maintenance mechanic HVAC, Elec, Plumbing. I have serviced all my systems for spring in March and found no abnormal operations. All appliances are Energy Efficiency rated. All lighting is LED. I ask again to have a qualified tech come and check my meter. And they again said this was not necessary because if the meter was broken, it would be less price not higher price.

I ask them to open a service ticket, or a complaint form and give me a reference number so I can check on the complaint and the status of the complaint. I was told They don’t have that, they don’t have a way to record a complaint. There was no reference for my complaint and I would have to mail a letter to their customer service branch. They gave me an address in Charlotte, NC. There is no telephone number or email address for there complaint Dept. Basically no way to prove you spoke with or corresponded with them about a complaint. I ask him who to send it to, a name... He did not know just send the letter. Again the scripting of “I can see how this is a concern for you.” I got no help with my problem, there was no interest in helping me, and the history of my bill was dismissed as my appliances must have something wrong with them. Didn’t even offer to have someone call me about my complaint.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have had Duke Energy for 4 years now and yet again they want to rob me and the Community in any way they can! Since the new meter has been put in my electric bill is over $300.00! Mind you! My home is empty on the market for sell! Nothing in the home is plugged in whatsoever. Now my bill is over 300.00 for a home that's using no electricity and they had the audacity to tell me I have a squatter in my home! No. I'm at the home almost every day showing it and I can promise you there is NO squatter. Then stated I needed to get an electrician because they said I have an electrical problem! BS!! So I went and got an electrician... Guess what... No electricity problems with my home whatsoever! And they are still trying to make me pay this bill!!! Absolutely disgusting company!!!!

Original review: May 1, 2019

Updated on 06/10/2019: Last month we received a pressure-tactic phone call from Duke Energy regarding our refusal of the smart-meter. We had refused the smart-meter from the get-go and took all the proper and necessary steps to document our choice. During last month's call to us, we were informed that there would be an approximate $17 monthly fee to have a human meter reader come out. We were also offered the option to do the monthly readings ourselves and to enter that data online. This, they said, was a way to avoid being charged the meter reading fee. So, we decided to accept the do-it-yourself online data entry option and enrolled online into that program last month.

From our view of the data online, it appears that our household is indeed enrolled in the DIY online program and data from last month has been captured accurately. However, on this month's bill, the human meter reader fee was added! We called to report the issue and were told that they "are looking into it" -- who knows just how long that will take? Of course, the 'error'/ discrepancy regarding the online DIY enrollment is in their favor so they can charge the extra monthly fee. But there could be another reason why they want to charge the fee and send a human reader. That is to verify the accuracy of customers' online data entry (usage numbers).

Verifying the accuracy of customer's self-reported energy usage is a reasonable business practice and it would indeed be fair and just if the company chose to verify accounts on a semi-annual or maybe even quarterly basis. But if that is the company's intention, they should make the policy transparent to customers and not play games in their billing. Furthermore, they should keep the promises they make! If customers are offered the option for no-added fee DIY meter reading, then they should honor that offer! They need to put offers in writing and in big bold print that they include with their bills! They shouldn't mask their policies in verbose legalese and by teeny-tiny almost too small to read print!

Original Review: We received yet another phone call today about our refusal of the smart meter! After asking why they keep calling when we had already sent a registered letter indicating our refusal of the meter, we learned that what they really wanted to know is that we were willing to pay the $17.50 per month for keeping the old meter. It was also mentioned during the call that a "one time fee" for "meter replacement" would be waived. I do think so! If we're not having the meter replaced, why would they even think to charge us for a meter replacement?!

Within the previous 2 weeks we had received another phone call trying to sell us on their energy-shaving program, which by the way, requires a smart meter to use. The frequency of solicitation phone calls feels like a bullying tactic used in an attempt to force a smart meter on us. During today's solicitation call, we made it clear that we do not want to be contacted by phone regarding offers of a smart meter nor any energy savings program. I sincerely hope that they have received the message that "No" means "No," and that they will stop calling us.

Duke Energy Company Information