2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.14/5

Duke Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Duke is replacing poles on Highway 26 Trenton Florida, 3 am smoke pouring out of my 1000 dollar generator transfer switch. One phase of Duke Energy went down to 70 volts for over a hour. The whole town of Half of the lights Trenton were blinking strobing. I got video of that as a result of that my AC unit and generator transfer switch smoked. Duke called said they would repair items. I filed a claim. Week later got a letter stating Duke is not liable for damages.. The worst electric company... Liars and billing is a rip-off, dont buy in their coverage area, class action lawsuit needed. Read their reviews. I'm just the next one who got ripped off...

Original review: July 17, 2020

Thanks for hiring Burford Tree Service. We recently had the pleasure of working with John ** and several of his team members while they were working the Fayetteville, NC area. John was great to work with and his team were courteous, professional and highly trained. It is tough work and sometimes the equipment would and other times it would not, but John kept the task together and running.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2020

When I first heard Americans would be getting a stimulus I knew Duke Energy would want at least half. Today I opened my bill and I was correct. We experienced a power outage a few weeks back and I know there is no way I've used this much electricity but since they're a monopoly they can charge us whatever they want. Consumers struggle while we pay for Lynn Good to live her best life.

Original review: March 10, 2020

I moved home to my family property, I called to have my power connected and it was. A month a half later they try to cut my power off. Now we are 5 months in this I have a payment arrangement, where I agreed to pay 1850.00 even though I was not residing at the property for the last 13 years. I proved that by police reports, tax property receipts among a lot of other documents. My payment arrangement was met. I paid the first installment of 1008 dollars, I came home from work yesterday, no note in door no nothing. Warning or anything I have no power.

Now they want me to pay over 2,000 to have service restored. And they say there was no payment arrangement?? How is this legal considering I have the binding agreement in my hands, recorded conversation stating as Long as I agree to pay for theft charges I do not do and proved that. They say Nothing, but pay more more money to get power on. I have 2 children at home, I am pregnant with my 3rd child at 39 years old. Need lawyer, or something. This cannot be legal and yet Duke power cannot explain tow how this is legal????

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I had a great experience. Duke Energy is a great place and also a great company. Would recommend it to anyone. I have been through enough. I'm trying to get my bill switched out of my son name. He's on drugs and keep threaten to cut it off.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I didn't have any issues with Duke until I moved out of my past residence. They refused to shut off my gas and charged me for someone else using the gas and keep telling me it's my fault for not letting them in. Their words were the homeowner is responsible for letting them in. Well I wasn't the homeowner, I was only a tenant with no access to the box they needed to get to with a landlord that refused to answer my calls and messages to get the gas out of my name. So my landlord was getting free heat at my expense. It took months for them to finally get this taken care of, but they're still charging me for the months I wasn't living on the property. I was talked down to by customer service, basically being told to deal with it and pay the bill in full before I was hung up on.

The Utility Commissions unfortunately couldn't do anything about it because the service box is located inside the building so they can't prove Duke did anything wrong and told me to sue the homeowner for reimbursement. Heads up to anyone looking to rent, if the service box for electric or gas is located somewhere you and the tech can't gain access to without the landlord present to gain access to it, especially if you have to go through Duke Energy, don't rent there. You will be screwed over when you try to move out by both the landlord and Duke Energy. The landlord gets free power/heat and Duke sticks you with an absurd bill and hurts your credit score and if you are on PIPP assistance, you're now stuck with a past due balance of way over and you can't get PIPP anymore until that balance is paid in full. It's just not worth the risk.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I paid every month on the 15th, 9 days after my invoice date and after a year and a half of consistently paying the same day of the month, they turned my power off and charged me 465 as a deposit. Then they changed my due date to the 15th for me, but would not take off the deposit. I cannot wait 'til I have another electricity option!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I have lived in Winston Salem, NC for many years. Every year, there are needless outages. I can understand hurricanes, tornadoes, and snow. But, every year there are too many outages for fallen branches. We are charged line maintenance fees but apparently they are not done, or are not performed correctly. Duke uses "acts of nature" as a copout. Charging for services that are not actual done is criminal. 26 hour outage for fallen branches is unacceptable, especially when we pay for maintenance. Yet, we never see Duke trucks doing maintenance. Regardless after years of the same situations, still...power outages after some wind. This company is truly a Ripoff, unfortunately there is no alternative to them, even after the poisoning of our waterways fiasco...which we also had to pay for.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

After murdering scores of innocent trees in our neighborhood 2 years ago, now they are further persecuting us by wanting to do "brush control" (cutting down shrubbery next to a creek next to our yard). Duke Energy is an eco-terrorism company. We lost power last week for almost 6 hours because of winds. Yet they have cut down thousands of trees around here where, if all trees had fallen down, none would have ever touched any wire. They harm the environment and charge us to do it. They kill God's creation because they can.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I was watching local TV news after a half of day on the phone with the customer service. I know everyone bill is high but talking to customer service asking to check about my meter may be off "Our meters are checked daily and they're never wrong." I asked if the price was increased. Her response, "Not in North Carolina yet!!!" First there was a charge to do this but forget it. Almighty Duke is the only game in town. I'm too old and too poor to change over to burning wood and clothing to keep warm.

What really irked me was what I heard on the local WLOS TV as Duke adds charges on your bill that don't show or reflect on your statement. These hidden fees are to reimburse the fortunate few to get energy savings program, new furnace, air, water heater. Who pays for these fees? Duke does to offset costs. IT IS NOT REFLECTED ON YOUR MONTHLY BILL. A customer who uses 1000 kWh a month will pay an average of 60.00 a year in fees not shown on your bill

To me this is a form of thievery. Duke Power- The only game in town!!!! **.

Duke Energy Company Information