1.05/5

Need a utility company?

917 Duke Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 11, 2019

Over the past 10 years I have lived in the same neighborhood. Two different homes two vastly different sizes. One about 3,750 square feet and the other 1,500 square feet. Same number of occupants and such. In fact, first home required two air conditioning units to cool the home. Unsurprisingly, with Duke Energy the bill for the second home of 1,500 sq feet runs the same every month some times more. We have even been away turned off some electric for times bill runs the same etc. I can see from other posters on here this is not unusual for Duke customers to still receive blind billing of set pricing in mail each month no matter the usage. Why are they not being investigated? This is clear cut fraud.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I live in a 1200 sq.ft. apartment in Noblesville Indiana. On Dec.10 I left for Florida and remained there for near 4 months. Upon leaving the heat thermostat was set @ 61 degrees. All appliances with the exception of the refrigerator were unplugged. A brand new energy efficient water heater was set @ 110 degrees. Bills remained near the same as that of the previous November 2018. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I have been a Duke Energy customer since Oct 2018, before that we were with another energy company 12 miles down the road. Our bills have been extremely unreasonable, to the point of fraud. Had a month where we only turned the AC on a couple of times (set at 73) and I have yet to have a bill under 200. With the other company we lived in a house with much less insulation and single pane windows and 600 sq. ft. larger!! Okay Duke Energy, what type of unethical charges are you allowing! If I could change I would switch in a heartbeat. Cindy **

Original review: March 30, 2019

Something is up with this smart meter! No way is it possible for 1 person in a 1 bedroom to use 1500 kWh of electric!!! I’ve done my research and something is up! I make some phone calls and all of a sudden this month (with 10 days left till reading) I’ve only used 266 kWh. Very interesting! Someone will be refunding me the overcharges or either the owner downstairs will get a kick in the... for stealing electric from me! I’m no fool.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Our power goes out more than several times a year. More than I've ever had it go out anywhere. Get your act together Duke. We pay for your services and you blame the squirrels on those services being poor. The estimated time for the power to return rarely happens. I've lived in this house for four years and can't recall how many times it's gone out, because it happens so often. That's awful service. If I had a choice I would not choose Duke.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Original review: March 2, 2019

Duke Energy overcharges. Using 3 rooms in my house and my bill is 469.00 for one month. There is no way my bill should be so high for one month. I think Duke Energy is a scam. I work to give my money to Duke Energy. This is wrong.

Original review: March 1, 2019

This is for an apartment complex in Indiana. Since Duke installed Smart Meters our bills have almost tripled. On an unoccupied 1 bedroom apt with an Energy Star fridge, turned down all the way, and the heat set to 50F-55F. Our bills for the last two months have been $156 & $166. The size of the apartment is 650 square feet. Duke is telling us it's because of the cold winter we are having when in reality December was not that cold. Previously the electric bills on a vacant unit hovered between $20-$55 depending on the weather and how often it was worked in.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Duke Energy has no compassion for their customers. They bill you and expect payment even when things go wrong that are out of your control with thermostat defect (cooling and heating working simultaneously) and giving someone a bill of over $1700 for two months because no one was living in the property at the time. They expect payment no matter what because "you used the energy" and do not give people an extended amount a time to pay each month or lights will be turned off. Which I told them to go ahead and do because no one was living there at the time anyway... You did me a favor, for once... Turn it off then so I can save money. So unreasonable. I would not even given them one star above but I had to choose one.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I purchased my family's farmhouse that has been in our family since 1916. They install a new meter and my bill goes up $70 a month. Call and complain and now they want to charge me a $220 deposit! There are only 6 houses on my road that have Duke. I lose power about once a week for about 15 minutes or more. I can look out the windows of my house both ways down my road and see that everyone with NineStar has power! I know the history of electric bills at this house all the way back to when electricity was ran down the road, but because the bill has only been in my name for a year they want to treat me like I'm stupid.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I have been using my bank's online bill payment to pay Duke Energy for several years, on and off. I also used to work for this particular bank. When customers pay bills online, there is always a possibility for tech error. I sent my payment ($347) to be delivered on time and the payment was not delivered effectively this month. Duke shut off my power and claimed I would have to pay $371 to restore it today. After much deliberation, I was able to explain to the rep that this was no fault of my own, and that I had first-hand experience helping people in this situation when I worked for the bank. There is a simple solution: generate and send a proof of payment from the online banking portal and fax to said payee.

The rep proclaimed several times - and I'm not blaming her, she did put me on hold several times to "check" with her management team - Duke Energy would not accept a proof of payment to restore my services... in February... in Indiana. Temps at my home are already dropping to below 60 degrees. They've "graciously" offered to "waive" the reconnect fee, but will not do ANYTHING to restore my services. I am forced to wait until my payment posts, which will hopefully be tomorrow... Folks, they couldn't even give me a phone number to corporate, an executive office or even customer service to register a COMPLAINT. This company is a joke. It needs to be investigated.

Duke Energy Company Information