2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

3.4/5 (274 ratings)

About Duke Energy

Duke Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Infrequent outages usually brief and excellent communication with notice updates via text messages. Also regular monthly emails about current usage and tips on energy saving ideas. Also provide average use for homes similar to their customers homes.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

The worst experience ever! Never been treated so poorly in my life! Can’t ever get someone to help me. Been waiting over a month for installation. Duke energy should be ashamed of themselves! For such a big company you would think they would treat people better.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

Duke Energy send me energy usage alerts every month. After I received the projected bill alert, I took extra caution, as a test and to check how accurate their system is; for the remaining billing circle 15 days. I turned off the water heater completely (breaker off), not using washer and dryer for over 2 weeks, and as always cooking once per week, didn't turn on any lights fixtures during the day, at night just used a small plug in LED light and AC kept at 78 at all time. In addition to that, this is a Green community 1,046 Sq.ft. apartments. (All appliances, water heater, lighting features and windows are Energy Efficient.)

After I took all this precaution, instead of lowering the bill, it was on the contrary. The bill was even higher than normal (IMPOSSIBLE), it doesn't make sense at all that I would have run up my bill after all this precautions. Duke energy just raised the bill even when is very clear that I'm using less energy. Duke energy always excuses to increase the bill is because the high temperature outside or the appliances need maintenance. They are assuming that the customers aren't taking necessary steps to save money, obviously the company is overcharging (ripping off) customers and they are getting away with it.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

Well Duke is a million times better than Hamilton Utilities! But it definitely has some issues. The customer service people have no knowledge on how to do anything. They screw up or neglect important information for customers (like me) often. I call them on a regular to make sure they do their job so I don't get screwed with months of gas back bills, etc. Last yr they sent me one of 600 bucks. This yr 2021 they billed me for gas I was never receiving till August. It had been shut off in May. SMH. Today they referred me an electrician/HVAC/plumber. Why? I just wanted a serious electrician for my main and meter. Not some dumb dumb wanna be jack of all trades. On BBB they have had 24 complaints and only 8 of them reconciled. Why would they refer such an reputable business to their customers?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Electricity is an life saving essential service and Duke behaves as is if it’s an option like having HBO. I have an in curable disease and who is not feeling well. I thought I paid through their online website but it was a glitch on their end. I didn’t follow up because I thought I paid and was really not feeling well. They claim to have sent a disconnection notification that I never received and turned off my electricity. I called, begged, pleaded for them to remove the $40 reconnection charge and they refused. This is the worst Energy corporation who preys upon customers. If I could change services I would but they monopolize my area.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

Duke Energy’s website is definitely the worst utility website I’ve ever had to use. It's like it was set up by a box of rocks capable of minimal sentient thought. It’s set up so poorly you aren’t even able to see your own account number which is pathetic. I tried to set up auto-pay on their website using my account but when I selected auto pay it asked me what account I’d want to use but it doesn’t provide a list of accounts to select from. No matter what I do I can’t set up auto-pay which means I need to get on the phone with a representative which takes at least 20 minutes of being put on hold and then the representative doesn’t even know how to do their job so I have to walk them through what’s wrong at least three times.

I guess I’ll keep trying until I get a hold of someone who actually knows how to do what they are paid to do but only because I have no choice because Duke is all I’ve got in this area. If anyone is reading this and they have another choice other than Duke, take that one at all costs because Duke operates just about as efficiently as a politician which is about as inefficient as anything gets.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

I was hospitalized 2.5 months. The bills continued. $173. I'm only resident. It's inappropriate. Could this be explained? Help please. I don't understand the amount for a vacant house. I'd appreciate any assistance you can give.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

Terrible service. Electricity out about once every two weeks. They real need to trim trees from power lines. I drive through the neighborhoods and see overgrown trees with branches hanging on the lines.... Terrible way to run a business.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I have multiple accounts with Duke as I own residential rentals and I rehab homes. Duke's decrepit website could not access my accounts - - the website had a window where it asked which account I wanted to access but it gave me no list. When I called I was put on hold multiple times for 27 minutes and then told to call back by the representative as she was having "computer problems". They are the most deficient utility in the billing and payment area - I wanted to set up automatic payments and they, basically, don't want your money. Incredible! This is a constant problem with Duke - I have multiple stories of how they have screwed up. I will say their field and operational people seem much, much more competent than their administrative and executive staff.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

Duke Energy does not care at all whether you have power restored, whether you get electrocuted by one of their precarious hanging cables, or whether you die of a heat stroke in mid August without any power. They of course will care if your bill is 2 days overdue. We lost power due to a summer storm two days ago. The company sent over two employees 18 hours later. They just touched a cord with a stick and made power come back, never tried to investigate any further. Despite the fact we tried to alert them the generator was buzzing and sparkling by calling their “emergency line,” nobody answered the phone.

Just 24 hours later a little rain made us lose power again. Nobody has come to check on us. The whole street is off power and they can’t even give us an estimation. We feel abandoned and frustrated. We had to throw all our frozen food away. Of course they have a special link on their website that states they will not reimburse you for any loss in food. Owning a monopoly sure gives you agency to offer a horrendous and antiquated infrastructure because there is no competitor, but it is so pathetic that we lose power at the sneeze of a mockingbird. This company needs a serious upgrade.

Duke Energy Company Information