Duke Energy

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was a previous tenant at 5324 Poinsettia Drive in NPR, FL. I left a large bill unpaid in my name for this address. Electric was turned off before new tenant moved in. New tenant put in an application for service and was denied. She was told to send a notarized lease in to them which she did. They did not approve the notarized lease. This lady is stuck with no electric because of my bill and it just seems illegal. They also gave her all my personal info from my account, slandering me. Sounds very illegal.

I offered to make a payment arrangement and they did not say a word. Not good business! Law says: "The local utility provider may not refuse service to a new property owner or tenant at the property where the delinquency occurred. This action would be akin to holding the new property owner or tenant liable for the former occupants utility debt, which is not allowed. Give this new tenant electric... this is ridiculous. Take my bill up with me... don't punish the new tenant. Terrible collection tactics.

I recently moved and my grandmother temporarily moved in to assist with child care as we transitioned. She permanently moved in with my parents after about a month. She had her Duke Energy account transferred to our new address to help me out with the move. We received our first bill of $224.00. The bill did not reflect any late charges or roll overs from her previous address. It is important to note she had added me to her account in the past as an authorized user as she is in her 80's, in and out of the hospital and on a budget. This made it easier for me to help her manage her bill when she needed assistance. Several of her household bills were set up the same way. However we had not resided together until this past August (now 3 months ago).

Fast forward to present and I had taken steps to transfer the service into my name once she moved along to my parents’ home. It was during this time that they discovered (I say discovered as this did not reflect on the most recent bill) a past due amount that accumulated as a result of carry overs for more than one of her past residences. The total amount due was over $1,800 dollars.

They refused to establish service in my name until I paid her account balance in full. They even took the $400 deposit I had made for my account and applied to her balance with no approval from me. They stated they were holding me responsible because I was the lease holder since August and because she had named me as an authorized user on the account at some point over the years. I tried to compromise by accepting responsibility since the date of my lease and repaying (the amounts accrued since the move in August were paid in full) those costs to no avail.

It is the week of Thanksgiving. I have no power and am being held accountable for her unpaid balance because I'm a good granddaughter and help her with her budgeting and bill paying. The only way I'll be able to pay this is by not paying my rent which will cause another dear situation. Duke reps explained they can do this and do because people will use others to avoid paying late fees and deposits. That's a flaw in how they do business. They should require a lease or deed to establish service then you are holding the right person accountable. The way they are doing this is based on assumptions and disregarding explanations that can be proved to exploit whomever they can for money. It's completely unethical. I will be consulting an attorney as I can prove where I have resided prior to our most recent move and it was not with her. I believe they do this to people thinking they have no recourse. Maybe we don't but I intend to find out.

I signed up for paperless billing and several times I did not receive my bill. By the time I realized it my payment was late and they charged me a late fee even after I said I did not receive a statement. They basically just said they sent it and I was at fault so I had to pay the late fee. Also their website is one of the worst I have encountered.

They will charge you for electricity that you have not even used. They do this to charge more money. You could be gone for a month and they will still claim that you used more than your previous month's bill. They also have this nasty little habit of taking funds from your bank account without your authorization. In legal terms, this is fraud and a scam. They think their political connections can protect them from any consequences. THERE IS A WAY TO STOP THEM. Submit a complaint to the FTC at ** and the North Carolina Department of Justice at ** since their headquarters is in Charlotte, NC. Tell these agencies how Duke Energy has ripped you off and they will work to sue them and stop this once and for all!!!

I wrote a complaint with the NC Utilities Commission concerning Duke Energy in regards to my Duke Energy bills have been extremely high. I live alone. They claimed they investigated and that the bills are accurate. They are not. Don't bother contacting the NCUC for any sort of assistance; they could care less. Obviously they cover for Duke Energy; they must be connected financially. Consumers really have no help or no resources to assist you at Duke Energy; whether your bills are accurate or whether you can get appropriate billing arrangements they really don't care and the truly sad part about it is for those of us that live in Raleigh North Carolina we have no other option for energy because believe me if we did probably all of us would be using that resource and not Duke Energy. When they merged with Progress Energy it became the worst days of our lives and we are still living in them right now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Duke Energy is not concerned, at all, about its customers' lives or well-being. If they were, they would send out explicit notices to customers BEFORE disconnecting an essential public utility such as power. I accidentally signed up for paperless billing and would miss notices that way. Then, when I changed the email address, it reverted to the old one. The employee put the disconnect notice on the garage door (of all places) rather than ringing the doorbell as they are supposed to do so that no one who was home could pay in that moment or would be made aware. It's like a game of cat and mouse. Employees are trying to meet a quota instead of looking out for consumers! So, now, I have to wait in queue to get my service turned back on today. Two trips, instead of one, and total inconvenience and embarrassment for me.

This shows you what Duke Energy thinks of their customers. No, it isn't a charity, but the least they could do is alert consumers/customers prior to shut off!!! Ring the doorbell or leave a visible note 24-hours prior to shut off. It the least they can do. I paid my bill and power will be restored, but meanwhile, the slow cooker won't cook the chicken and my child will need to figure out how to homework in the dark. Ridiculous. And, before I hear, well if you had paid on time... That's all well and good, but Duke Energy is providing a SERVICE. Duke Energy is a PUBLIC SERVICE UTILITY. It owes customers more respect. IF I had a CHOICE of providers, I would move to one with better customer service ASAP. Monopolies are exploited which is why they should not exist.

So we will be moving to a new home where we need to get new service with Duke Energy, I went on line and they pulled my credit a couple of times and never came back with a deposit amount. My husband did it and finally we got an amount $545 which is the average over 12 months of the previous renter's bills (this is where I get bothered). The next day they call my husband who is out of town now and asked him question, he texted me because he does not have the information and ask me to call. Well they state that they now need me to use my name again, even though I am listed on his account... Hmmm then they pull my credit again, and yes it is a hard inquiry. Then they tell me deposit amount and then inform me if I get 1 late notice they will keep my deposit! WTF? Unbelievable, & scandalous.

Moving on as I already put a deposit on the property and it's too late to tell them to get lost. I ask about the budget plan. Well, this is where it gets good... it seems that they cannot allow me to be on the budget plan until I have had service for a year because they need to review a year average for the amount of the billing (sound familiar?). SO they can use another person's electric billing to charge me an outrageous deposit, but they will not use that same amount to place me on a budget friendly billing. This woman then tells me that they will keep my deposit at the end of 24 months to pay my bill (well, that deposit is to gain 8% interest (I assume annually as they do not define). I told her I don't want them to use that deposit and that I will want my money back and she says "well then pay your bill." I am sorry but when did she get the right to be a snotty brat? That's what you get when the utilities are a monopoly. UGH!

I called Duke Energy over a week ago to ask them to investigate why my bill is so high. I am an unemployed military Veteran and asked them to 1) explain how there could be a standing disconnect notice and I have paid well over the $88 monthly bill {$178.67 in August then $252.50 in September}; 2) Why it has been well over a year and my $200 deposit has still not been returned to me?; 3) Why Duke is raising my monthly average billing payment to over $100?; 4) Why they refuse to do an energy audit on my residence or investigate my claims but still want to disconnect my power? I asked them what they are basing the disconnect order on and they have refused to help me or return my phone calls!

The last customer service rep I spoke to, Mark **, said they would investigate my concerns. But even though I spoke to him over a week ago Duke is still going to disconnect my power on October 24th, without addressing my issues! This is NOT fair and since Duke Energy has bought out every NC politician and the state agency (NC Utilities Commission) that is supposed to protect us consumers then no one will help us stand up against these corporate bullies!

After checking all my gas appliances I called Duke Energy and reported smelling gas. The technician arrived and from what I saw used a gas detector all over the house and finally identified 3 small leaks in the basement. I asked him to mark them and gave him some string so when the plumber came the leaks could be found quickly considering it took the Duke tech a half hour to locate the leaks and he did so without a compression test. He then told me I had to have 2 flexible connectors replaced. There was nothing wrong with the connectors and they were in code when the furnaces were installed in 2004 but now they were not in code.

I live in a home that was a 2 family and have two finances which means I have double the cost. I was not given any proof they were out of code and was not told whose code it was. Once I spoke to a plumber I found out it was going to cost me almost 400 dollars to change the connections. Since the connections weren't bad and there are likely many others in the city or state with the same thing WHY would a Duke Energy require I replace them? What kind of business comes into your residents and causes this kind of expense? The leak in the pipe was repaired and I am now waiting for a Duke Energy technician to turn the gas back on. I have been waiting for 5 hours. It's now well after 10 pm.

The next time I smell gas I will not call Duke Energy. This is what this has taught me. I will not call Duke Energy because some little jerk may come to my house and tell me to fix something that is not broken and then keep me waiting after spending 1159.00 dollars. Duke Energy I do not trust you to come into my home in the future and wonder why you feel the need to push this consumer around? Since there are many others with the same equipment you will not convince me it was for my safety. What kind of training and what kind of supervision do you provide your techs that this is how they behave? I think it's discriminatory to force me to repair something not broken when others who have the same equipment are not. What else is it but discrimination?

As a Hurricane Matthew survivor and while lucky and realize this, I am very upset by the lack of caring about their customers. In order to place a outage complaint it seems to fall on deaf ears or shall we say deaf computer generated ears! We lost power on early Friday morning as the storm rolled in, while this was certainly a terrible storm we are 34 miles inland and had some minor damage. On Saturday I ventured out only to find Duke Energy trucks everywhere but our neighborhood. This could have been better handled with more crews placed in our area. The very first we saw of anyone was on late Saturday! On the outage page it explained they were surveying the damage. Well it's now Monday morning and I have no power. I have called over and over to only get their automated system which quite frankly is poor at best!

If it had not been for the men in our area with trucks and chainsaws our area it would still be hard to move around our area! I would like to say this is the worst power company I have ever had. Obviously customer care and satisfaction rank really low on their list of priorities! I wish that they (meaning company execs) could walk a mile in our shoes. I have probably lost all the contents of my refrigerator and freezer which total well over $500.00. We are on a fixed income and while to some people this doesn't seem like much but to us we may take a year to recover!

The hardest part is that not one single employee from Duke is out now working so when they tell you they work through the night to restore your power that is A BOLD FACE LIE! You would know after all you have to have your windows open! Not one Duke Employee!! Where is Florida power and light? They have fixed all their issues!!! Too bad we as consumers can't choose an electric company! In closing if you are unlucky enough to have no choice but Duke/Progressive good luck!!?

Beware of Duke Energy. Their level of corruption and scare tactics that they use shocks on their customer shocks me. We were signed on the equal payment plan. Although throughout the year on at least 4 separate occasions we updated our payment information and paid what they said was due. This September of 2016 they sent us a bill for 1207.00. When we called we got three different explanations. I spoke to them on Sept 4 and their representative was either too lazy or untrained or possibly Duke needs to show a profit to their shareholders, so they have to come up with a way to get more revenue from their customers. It gets even worse when we called. They do not provide information in writing. Everything is verbal. What kind of a business is this? So then I called the NC Energy Commission to complain: They were even less helpful. I wonder if they Have a conflict of interest?

They definitely did not seem interested in even understanding the problem or providing us with information in writing so that we could clarify and verify and pay what is due. What I think might have happened is Duke Energy apparently removed us off their equal payment plan due to their employees either being too lazy to communicate, or untrained to communicate, or simply because they need to show a profit to their shareholders by billing individual citizens at the last minute before they file their quarterly earnings. They assured me repeatedly that they were receiving payments automatically and apparently never updated the account.

I wish I could back bill after the fact Comcast or Time Warner or Verizon when their service is out. But apparently the playing field is not even and a multi-million dollar power company can pull any amount out of a hat and the individual consumer just has to bend over and pay it without even a single written statement or invoice. Moral of the story beware of the equal payment plan and also know that every October, Duke Energy will come up with some excuse to overcharge you for the previous year and say that you are suddenly past due. This also has happened to our neighbors. We are not even an isolated case. We are baffled at how they can behave this way. I will not let this go. In fact if something similar has happened to you please post. Maybe we can get a class action lawsuit going.

My wife and I relocated to FL from PA four months ago. Setting up our power account with Duke Energy was a breeze. This month we neglected to pay on time. We were 14 days delinquent due to misplacing our paper bill. Our power was shut off this am with ZERO additional warning! The company says we were emailed warnings. Nope. No emails, no phone calls, no text messages. Of course, my wife immediately called to pay the bill and have our power re-instated. She was told by an account rep they could not discuss our account with her as she was not listed on the account. They harassed her and eventually hung up on her. When I called back later in the day to settle the matter and to ensure she was on the account I was told, in fact, she already was listed on the account as an approved account holder and she should not have been harassed.

We complained profusely there was no adequate warning. The representative spewed their policy at us. The company says we were emailed warnings. Nope. No emails, no phone calls, no text messages. We were told our power would be turned back on by midnight! It is now 9 hours later. No electricity. This is not just a matter of inconvenience. This is not cable television or some form of non-essential entertainment - this is your power. This is a life safety issue! This is Florida, with 90 plus degree temperatures on a daily basis. People's refrigerators are full of food that will go bad. In addition, my wife works from home. No power. No internet. This is people's livelihoods you are messing with Duke Energy!

In PA your power would not be shut off unless you were more than 90 days delinquent with numerous warnings including automated telephone calls! There would be late fees, of course, which is reasonable. There are many legitimate reasons for being delinquent on your power bill. Turning off your power with such little warning is just not warranted! Duke energy is a powerhouse - 6 - state monopoly with zero respect for their customers! They need to be put in their place. What can the little guy do?

I was lying in bed at about 8:30 am when they came & turned my lights off. I called the system to see how much I owe since a couple days prior I just paid 80$. At 918 I get the 60$ I owe up and pay at the nearest pay center. Call Duke with my receipt number and tell them I need service restored as soon as possible didn't want my food destroyed plus I had small children to cook for. Inside it was so humid. We went to sleep hoping they would be ok soon to connect. Woke up it's 2 pm no truck. I'm still in the dark not able to cook or cool down. I called them and they tell me they will be back sometime today. It's ridiculous you come turn off quick. But come reconnect when you want. Heartless pieces of people.

Got Duke Energy on the run. Paperwork and math dont lie. Just people at Duke Energy. Reported them 3 times of illegal billing days Of 32 just like Aug 2013 and they are charging us 4 to 5 different energy charge of 1000 KWH and fuel charge. They just Flipflop the charges. Email their attorney yesterday proof of 10 different charges, billing cycles of month of August 2016. Having a meeting with Miss Erin Brockovich to help me get them out of Florida this month. Duke will be out of here by next year. Bug lady Florida law can't wait to see them in court. Told them today on the phone as I filed the complaint with the public service commissioner. I hope you do too. Look at all your bills. You'll see what I see.

Well here we are again in Cheraw with no lights!! No power! Yet There is no storm, just HOT!!! This is usual for Duke Energy! I wrote before, get your crew to come cut trees off lines, better yet, put y'alls lines underground. Heck maybe y'all can keep lights on. Y'all are a pitiful light company and if I could I'd switch in a skinny minute! Light deposits are outrageous and never get them back and deal with **!!! Stop filling up y'alls pockets and get y'alls trees cut. Now our power is gonna run forever trying to get our houses back cool and without us people y'all wouldn't have any business. Why don't y'all sell out and let a company that cares about their people and not their pockets come on--- ash spills y'all won't clean up, and every darn week we without power! Hey how about instead of sending us out letters stating we used more power one month than last (trying to get our houses back cool from no power) use that money to CUT THESE DAMN TREES?

I lived in a one bedroom apartment when I had Duke Power. On July 15 I moved out and on the 25 my bill was $51. I was rarely home as I worked 50 - 70 hours per week and when I was home I was just trying to sleep. I have to keep the power on until my lease expires on Sept 1. The apartment is empty. Air condition turned off and no connected appliances. So imagine my surprise when I get a bill for almost $70 for the past month. I was floored!

I called to get an explanation of the increase in charges although I'm 99.9% sure there was a decrease in usage. After a bunch of baloney I asked for the meter to be reread and the representative on the phone told me the reading is an estimate and another reading wouldn't be accurate. An estimate? WTH, did you even do a reading initially? This is infuriating. I never call customer service, always pay on time, and have been a good customer my last few years with Duke Power. I feel helpless. How can they do this to people? I can't deal with this company. I have so much going on in my life, I don't need unexpected surprises. This is robbery.

My wife and I recently moved from one apartment to another. Not only would Duke would not allow us to transfer our account over, so we had to create a new account, which required a deposit. Then, after we called to advise them that we wanted our service to end on a particular date since we would be moving out of our old apartment. Fast forward a month later, and Duke is billing us for the entire month.

I call to get this corrected and get told that I never called and I didn't make the appointment to have the service cancelled. I advise that I can provide my lease showing that we did not live there for the majority of the billing cycle. Duke states that the lease can not be accepted and that we would be responsible for the payment, even though we did not live there. Not only was their customer service at fault for not documenting the request to cancel service, they will not even accept the fact that we were legally not allowed to enter the premises to use their energy service.

Duke sent their "tree trimmers" out in the fall of 2015 and cut one side of an 18-year-old mahogany tree from the trunk to the crown leaving me with half of a tree. When I called to complain it landed on deaf ears. Over the next 6 months the unevenly distributed weight of the remainder of the tree caused the trunk to split right down to the middle to within 2 feet of the ground. On July 1, 2016 I placed an emergency call to Duke at 6:00 p.m. explaining the tree would split completely during the next wind (I live on the beach where the wind is always present) if something wasn't done. The damage was caused by them. At 10:00 p.m. a group of men showed up... none speaking English... and proceeded to absolutely BUTCHER this tree. They were cutting with chainsaws and flashlights until 1:00 a.m.

I have been calling since then to get them to come clean up the mess they left, which takes up my entire front yard. My grass is now dead, I cannot get to my flower beds for the tree limbs (some as long as 12 feet) and is now causing a fire hazard. I cannot afford to have the mess cleaned up on my own. It will be in excess of $800 and an arborist has determined the tree is worth in excess of $10,000! Not only is it putting stress on me personally, the loss of this tree has taken much needed shade away from my house and entire property, causing my electric bills to soar even higher!!! I will contact everyone from my city all the way to the moon until this is taken care of. THIS IS SO WRONG!!! I wish I could show pictures. If anyone wants to see them, email me and I will direct you to where you can.

I have been renting a old manufactured home for almost five years now. Over the last several months Duke Energy has done everything from wrongly turning off my electric due to what they called a "software glitch" to us losing power for no apparent cause. Their employees tell the customer one thing and then do the exact opposite in the customer's account. I pay for electricity that powers a new in ground pump. This pump delivers water to my house and my neighbor as well. Yet my bill was $317.00 last month for a three bedroom house. I am disabled and on Social Security. The only way that I can pay this very high bill is to be on the equal pay plan.

I got behind 10 months ago by one month due to them telling me I did not have a current amount due. I found out later that was a lie. I do not make enough to get the extra high bill caught up. I was told today that my due date is about a week and a half or so before the end of the month. I get paid on the first each month. These people told me that I will never see a disconnect notice because they give me until the first to pay the bill. They said this is a courtesy due to my circumstances. Since I am behind due to their lies, I will not see that disconnect notice and no agency like The Housing Authority will help me so I do not get shut off. The ONLY way I can get help from any outside agency is with that disconnect notice. Someone has to do something about this company.

Updated 8/3/2016 - Since my last post, Duke Energy has been nasty to me. They are telling me that Duke Energy does not have a corporate office for Florida. They have a lawsuit that was started against them back in February of 2016. They have abandoned several projects that they started. A recent one happened right here in Citrus County Florida which affected the Citrus County power plant. This company needs to be stopped. I am probably not the only disabled mother with PTSD that Duke Energy is robbing and taking advantage of.

I can close my eyes and expect a power outage caused by "tree damaged our equipment" every time there is a rain or strong wind blowing. Duke Energy is a poorly run company with very lousy infrastructure design. I can see the wires hanging above the road and looking very fragile. Can someone regulate the Power company and inspect the infrastructure they put in? They should be fined for the inconvenience they caused to people. Their executives should live in the area with constant power outages so they can feel our pain... no internet (routers need power), can't cook (stove needs power to light the gas), all the food in the fridge gone bad... you name it. Very disappointed :(. Shame on Duke Energy.

Duke Energy offers a rebate to consumers who change their heating/air conditioning systems to more energy efficient models. However, they have a rebate review board that is designed to find ways to deny the rebate. This reeks of a scam to renege on their offer. You will get an email from the "Heat pump desk" asking to provide the condition of the old system. I assume if you answer incorrectly you will lose the rebate. The fact is you replaced the system regardless of condition and you should get the rebate. This is a sleazy company!

My husband and I recently moved into a new neighborhood where we now have Duke Energy as our utilities provider. We have not even been in our new home for two months yet and we have lost power 5 times! Each time lasting at least 4-6 hours or more! This is ridiculous! Not only are we paying for a REQUIRED service and not getting it, but nothing is being done to prevent future issues. It has been over 100 degrees everyday and we have large dogs that NEED the a/c. What must be done to put an end to this?

We are having constant outages these days. Whenever it rains, even a little bit, it's almost a guaranteed outage. Sometimes it comes back in a minute, but it's enough to disrupt everything. It usually takes a couple hours to get power back. We also started having outages for no apparent reason at all. There is no rain and weather looks fine and the power goes out. I had maybe one outage in PA and that was understandable because it was during a HURRICANE.

Power goes out way more than what you would expect whether it's a storm or not. The recovery time is horrible, we can always count on a 5+ hour waiting period for restoration. The estimated time always changes and now we don't have one at all so who knows how long it will be out this time. It's already been 3 hours for a 5 minute rain! Wish we had a choice to use another carrier!

Since Duke power took over we have had more outages than ever. You can blow out a match and the power goes out. This last time we couldn't not even get an estimated time of restoration. Our electricity has been off since July 8 at 7:10 p.m. Forty-eight homes are affected, still no power at 3:30 p.m. on July 9. This is crazy!!!

Duke Energy sends me statements every month that my home uses more electricity than apts around me, my fridge sounds like a dryer, my heating/cooling unit is a motel unit from the sixties, new landlord read to me of my requests about this problem from LAST YEAR and have promised from two months now to fix the problem while not changing the ledger for being the reason for the overbilling and the reason no one will weatherize me. The apts I live in are hardly ever there, have towed my truck right after Christmas (have not gotten it back), overcharged me over Christmas 108.00 over something they said they overlooked in June, yet threatened to put me out if they didn't get it by Jan 1st.

Now everyone is overbilling me, maintenance and landlord still doesn't fix the problem and remembers every time they see me because I try to be cool with them. Everyone has just got their hands out now and don't care how overt they are being, and I don't have a dog in this fight because I'm in Bloomington Indiana, I'm alone, and no lawyer wants to touch it because part of the reason everyone feels they can get away with it is because I'm a lonely, young looking ** male who is not intimidating, short which makes people with small minds think they can treat me however (it happens all the time, and never before like how it is here since I moved here). When I explain the situation, I have to watch what I say, be corrected constantly like it's not the problem, and it is exacerbated my mental state to helpless.

My service was disconnected for an outstanding $54.35 and I paid it the same evening but was told it was too late to reinstate it for the same day, that it would be reinstated by noon the following day. Came home from work at lunch only to be told again it would be back on by 9 pm. It is now 7:39 I called to see if they could let me know where the technician was and was told it could be midnight or after.

I asked to speak with a supervisor who took a long time to come to the phone and I explained the situation that I have Congestive heart failure. The house was hot and I could not sleep last night because I use the Cpap machine and I was unable to use it because I had no power so in essence I had gotten no sleep. He was extremely rude and when inquired if he thought the service was fair to us as customers and could HE find out where the technician was, he got really stink and I asked for his name. He hung up the phone after I had been holding for quite some time.

After repeated complaints about the high deposit of $270, I asked to explain why the deposit was so high. I was told that it is generated by taking what the previous occupants used on an average monthly basis and multiplied by 2. In other words, I have to pay a high deposit due to how complete strangers utilized their energy. This was crazy!!

Due to me just moving to NC, the goal was to get my feet on the ground however the energy bill was a complete scam. I live alone yet my energy bill on a monthly basis was the highest I ever experienced in my life averaging $150 - $200 per month. I expressed this to DUKE customer service, informing them I had lived in several states and that this was ridiculous.

After a couple of months, I realized I would not live in NC as my goal was not to make DUKE Energy any richer. So I happily ended my service. POOR BILLING PRACTICE: I was sent my final bill and 6 days later the bill was forwarded to an collection agency. It was RETALIATION BILLING. Without a warning, call or letter sent, within 6 days of the final bill my bill was sent to collections. I want DUKE to be exposed -- how can I do this?

Obviously Duke Energy doesn't believe in PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE. It does not make sense that our power was out from 9:30pm to 6:30am because of "storms". If they would trim the tree branches from the lines like Progress Energy did they would have a lot more happier customers! I wonder if the decision makers of Duke Energy get their oil changed in their cars??? Just saying... Preventive maintenance goes a long way!!!

Our power is knocked continuously because of "trees" as they say. Once it was out for 3 days and we were told we weren't at the top of the priority list because of our location. There are 130 homes connected to our service location. We do not live in town but we are also not in an extreme rural area. We cover the intersection of two major state highways in northern Johnston County. I wish Duke Energy would consider the effect their lack of preventive maintenance has on their customers especially customers who are elders or perhaps oxygen dependent.

Where should I begin to tell my thoughts? I have lived in NC for 11yrs. During that time, I have always been a Duke customer. After going through a divorce, I had to change over all the bills in my name. For those of you who have dealt with Duke, you probably already know what I am going to say - they charged me a deposit because my ex had been late on payments. So, I took my wedding bands and sold them to cover the deposit. I put the bill on paperless draft and all was well until I moved. They even credited my account - seemed fair.

Life events occurred and I got a new job. So I was moving to Chapel Hill. This time I had not been late but as you already know, no late pays and they STILL wanted a deposit! They said I had moved too many times within the year. The truth was I had a rental and they were basing my moving on the tenants moving in and out, which every single time, the renters had paid on time and I always turned in my correct paperwork etc. Currently, I am still having trouble with Duke- Online bill pay site will not allow me access. I have called several times and because they are understaffed, no one can help me during my non-working hours.

Here is my rant: we teach kids not to bully, we promote empathy, morality and ethical treatment, yet this big company has somehow managed to get a free pass to bully anyone they choose. They make the rules and we have to follow. Personally, I am tired of their lack of community. I understand their need for payments, but the deposit issue is more or less raping those of us who are actually doing more, on a shoestring budget, to raise the standard of living for our families and our children than they could ever possibly do with their greedy fangs hanging out to grab our hard earned dollars.

Duke Energy Company Profile