1.24/5
Need a utility company?

Last updated: April 20, 2018

846 Duke Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 20, 2018

Someway I don't understand how but it ended up that I have to pay 2 bills at one time and there is no way that I could pay that much money because my husband and I don't have it. I tried to ask them to let me pay one now and then pay one is in like maybe 2 weeks and there's no they wouldn't do it. There's they would not even hear of it and I told them I have to have electric because my husband is on a breathing machine and if they turn my power off then he won't be able to breathe and they don't even care. I mean they act like they don't care. They have to have all the money or they want to turn my power off. I mean that sounds like a bunch of heartless people. Very heartless and I am so ashamed to be part of Duke Power.

Original review: April 18, 2018

First, I recently moved and when I called to transfer my service to the new apartment, the representative told me that she was going to waive the Service fee since I have paid my account on time every time. Now I received my bill and the charge is there. When I contact customer service they say they can't waive that fee, that she meant the deposit. I let them know I didn't initially have a deposit and there was NO mention of a deposit this time. The fee she mentioned was the $17 service fee. This customer service agent SWEARS she meant the deposit was waived for good payment history. Who would pay a $150 deposit when transferring their service that wasn't even required to START the service?! They will not budge on it and honor the first rep's mistake.

EVEN WORSE - I have been trying to pay my bill online for TWO weeks, let me say that again, TWO WEEKS! Initially I was told it was down and to try again in a few days. No problem. I call again Monday and a cold and absolutely rude CSR tells me that they switched their systems and it has been causing issues with certain accounts paying online and that I had to be transferred to IT. Oh joy, another 20+ wait. I couldn't wait any longer because, you know, WORK! So I emailed. Today is Wednesday, I still cannot pay online, they want me to pay by alternative ways which all hold a convenience fee. I refuse. This is YOUR mistake. Duke did not even have the courtesy to reach out to their customers and let us know about this issue. 2 weeks later it's still an issue. 2 days after being sent to IT, I haven't heard nor am I able to pay my balance.

I have lived in 4 different states, paying through 4 different electric companies and never have I had this level of incompetence and terrible service. How is a company that provides electric to so many customers not able to get their online bill pay back up? At the very least, they should waive/pay the convenience fee for the other forms of payment. It's only $1.50 but it's not the cost, it's the fact that this is THEIR mistake to fix and thousands of people shouldn't have to pay a fee due to their inability to run their business properly.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: April 18, 2018

It was as simple as turning the power on in my condo. It was originally scheduled for April 12, 2018. No one showed up and I was not even aware of it till Monday, April 16 since no one is living there right now. As of today, the power is STILL not turned on. Every time I call, they are giving me an excuse. I requested that they call me if they have an issue with getting it turned on. I NEVER received a call from anyone. 6 days later, still waiting...

Original review: April 18, 2018

I live in Greenwood, IN in an apartment. Every month I get my Duke bill. It is over $150 a month and this month it is over $200. I am never home and I travel a lot for work. This company is an absolute Joke and I can’t wait to go back to IPL when I move. Such a rip off.

Original review: April 15, 2018

We are here in Lillington NC. During a conflict involving an extremely crude Duke Energy employee the Harnett County Sheriff's department made a statement to me calling Duke Energy a monopoly. We are on day four without power and still every time we call customer service no one is listening. In November we called in to pay the bill by phone just as we have done for the last 4 years, never mind we have lived here 30 years and never had power turned off for non-payment. We were notified at that time that even though the power was still working that our power had been off since October and that our account was closed and we would have to zero the balance and start a new account if we wanted to keep the lights on.

They said we missed 4 payments and that we hadn't made a payment since June. This didn't make sense because anyone familiar with the Duke knows Duke takes past due accounts very seriously and never leaves the power on after two missed payments. After 6 hours on the phone, five different representatives, and many senseless arguments an actually somewhat helpful gentleman was able to track the card used to pay and found where Duke Energy applied 4 prior months of our payments to the wrong account. He said they found it and would fix the mistake, but first we had to zero the balance of $366 and start a new account with a new deposit.

They promised to finish investigating and issue a credit to the new account. The deposit due that night was to be waived until there was a resolution. After hearing nothing about the issue for over a month we called in January to find a $182 credit. We still hadn't received a paper bill when we called in early February and there was still $40 of credit and so we waited for a new bill.

Then on February 12 with medical paperwork issuing a moratorium on disconnecting power, they tried for the second time during the designated dates to turn off power to the home of 3 disabled people, one of whom is elderly. At that time they were saying we then owed $900 and that if we didn't pay, the power would be turned off. After getting on the phone and arguing for hours again with some lying low level customer service agent, instead of the supervisor we asked for, we discovered that a new account for our address had been started in December and that there was now two accounts for this one address. Supposedly we were going to be elevated and there were notes made for a supervisor to call, to no surprise no one called. Then four days ago they came while we were gone and pulled the meter making an accusation that we committed a felony act of stealing power and that now we owe $1700.

After fighting with them for months about this billing issue now all of a sudden we are liars and thieves and not to be trusted. By making such accusations we are now left without the remedy of filing a claim with the Utilities Commission. It seems awfully convenient that after repeatedly trying to turn off power illegally and saying we have a bill we don't owe and there is apparently no records upholding their claims of debt, that we are "stealing power" and can't talk to their "bosses". Duke's official recommendation to resolve this issue is to pay the bill or if we couldn't pay they said that we should seek assistance from community action and to take from those genuinely in need just to correct Duke's error.

I have spent two full days on the phone with different representatives who all say there is no supervisor available. According to their records they gave me I still can't make their math work to any of the said amounts owed which has now changed to $1300 and then again to $1010. We have also been told that there has been no payments on the new account that was started in November and that the deposit was only deferred for two weeks. This again does not contain any logic, that a new account with a two week deferred deposit and no payments was not even tried to be turned off till three months later in February when they told us they didn't have any medical paperwork preventing the disconnection.

This has been many irreplaceable days, countless sleepless nights of panicked worrying, needless heightened stress, and devastating emotional turmoil and all of this energy is spent trying to get a greed, devious, mega giant energy monopoly to only charge us based on the energy we actually use and not the profits they want to create.

In the last two days I have heard of 2 other neighbors who have also recently had billing issues with Duke Energy. One of whom's daughter is disabled and power dependent where they threatened to cut service without payment of a debt they couldn't produce records for. The other whose second home was left empty and winterized with bills over $400. If the Harnett County Sheriff's Department recognizes Duke Energy is a monopoly. How is it that our State and Federal governments won't admit and do something about it? Someone please help us? We are at a complete loss of how to get our power restored without meeting the completely unwarranted demands of this domestic terrorist organization.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Original review: April 13, 2018

The day before I moved out of my apartment, I called Duke Energy to have my name taken off the address. I was told their system is having issues and do this myself using the Stop Service feature in their website, which I did. I received a message (within the website) that my service will be stopped in three business days, but I never got an email confirmation. A month later, I received a bill covering the days that I had already moved out. After numerous calls, I was told that they never received the Stop Service request. I am being penalized for a malfunction in their system.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have been without power since Wednesday Apr 4th. It is currently Apr 10th. Duke said they had not received the release of power from Orange County (for an inspection). They lied. OC showed me in their reports that they sent it on the 5th. OC sent it again yesterday when I asked them to. The notes showed that, as well. I have called Duke energy _daily_ trying to get my power back on and they have lied to me at every turn. They should pay me back for the time I had to take off work. (They required that I be there to sign paperwork to get my power on. They never showed up.) And for all the food I lost when the fridge and freezer finally gave up. This is an abuse of their power over me because they are the only company that provides power in my area. This is unacceptable!

Original review: April 9, 2018

When I paid my bill online for Duke Energy I made a mistake at the bank when I deposited my funds into the wrong account. I called them immediately and explained. The representative told me to make another payment, not to worry, that they don't send those payments through a second time. 3 days later both payments hit my account. So, I had to put a stop payment on one of them. The next month I made my payment they sent me an email stating that my ACH payment was returned and my ACH authorization has been revoked. I called again. Each representative tells a different story. I'm so aggravated! I wish I had a choice on who my energy provider is. I'm sick of this company.

Original review: April 9, 2018

If you can use a crank machine for electricity, it will give you less stress than this company. I'm a CURRENT customer and I abhor it whenever I have to call Duke Energy. They charged me 3 times in 8 days and REFUSED to give me a refund. That's just the latest. Never mind you have to constantly register online which erases all of your information that you had for auto pay so that when you "skip" a payment they charge you an extra $40 reconnection fee then lie to your face that you never set up auto pay. THESE PEOPLE ARE DISGUSTING AND TREAT THEIR CUSTOMERS LIKE **! I've had Con Edison and Time Warner in the past, so I know crap when I smell it but this company takes the ** cake of the century. Warning hide your husband, hide your kids, hide your wife, people get raped with Duke Energy!!!

Original review: April 7, 2018

I seriously think these crooks bring employees in and train them to be liars and how to talk around the main issue! They're all going to hell! My past experience, as well as my son's is too long and excruciating to include all details. I started out as a customer in 1981 and used their services till 2006 at which time my power was disconnected due to "not enough payment made" and when I tried to pay what I could, that wasn't good enough either. When my son rented a home close to me in 2010, he called Duke to have his power connected. He had a delinquent bill that had to be paid first, which he knew about, so that was done. When he called back to pay his deposit, they had a bill that his Father had failed to pay and told him he would have to pay it also... He did so... Again, they had dug up more bills from other sources where he had never lived... To make a long story short, he ended up paying $3,300.00 to have his power turned on!

How this company can get away with making someone pay someone else's bill is beyond me! I guess they figured since he had already paid his rent and deposit and moved all his things in, they had a sucker. Well during all this, instead of seeing him have to pay out all this money, I tried to have it put in my name but told I could not since my name wasn't on the lease. My name was going to be put on the lease, but not in time to save him $3300. But since I told an unintentional fib by saying my name was on the lease before it was to be put on, they started investigating ME! One of the receptionist actually called me a Liar when I told her I had been living in my home for 4 years (at the time) without power!

It has now been almost 13. I was STALKED by one of the servicemen, he called me a liar, among other lies he told, he called in from his truck and told them I was living with my son because I took my son coffee in my PJ"s. The Liar was sitting down the road and saw me pull in my son's driveway! He sat in a parking lot next to my house till he saw no one was here with me to witness and then came and removed my meter (after 4 years) and tried to say the tab had been tampered with which was a lie. Except for being degrading and actually illegal, it didn't change anything... Yes, I learned to survive without it! It was hard at first, I have to admit. My mother lives close by so that helped as far as taking showers when I didn't feel like heating water.

I went through a couple generators, countless batteries and candles, 4 kerosene heaters, wood, oil lamps and about 3 grills among other things. It also helped having family ties with Kentuckians and Amish links. And I have done this for the simple reason of not giving Duke the satisfaction of getting my money! That's how bad I despise them. If America ever has a Black-out, I'd LOVE to be a fly on the wall and watch all the owners and employees with Duke Energy SQUIRM! People take advantage of power and Duke knows this, that's why they charge so much. BUT, since my Mother is going out of town for a week or so and because of my Grandkids, I've reluctantly decided to have my power restored. (I was hoping the City would take over our power service, I'd rather pay City Taxes than Duke Energy).

My deposit is paid and my power was to be reconnected on Thurs., they didn't show... When I called they said it would be the following day... They didn't show. What should be responsible adults working in this place turns out to be a bunch of silly kids playing a "Spite Game" with me. What they don't know is that I contacted the Governor about how they did my son and I already have a case against them so if my power isn't on by Monday all I have to do is contact him again and this will be another strike against them.

I will NOT call them again. If they decide to come and do their job, fine, if not, I'll carry on the same way I have for almost 13 years. If they choose to come after dark when I'm not able to see any faulty wiring my newly graduated electrician might have missed and my house catches on fire, I'll simply sue them! So, I'll let everyone know how these new Smart Meters work as far as the bill amount goes, if it's too high, I'll just have it cut back off. Rest assured I will be using as little power as possible because I've learned I don't really need it.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I live in a single family home that is less than 2,000 square feet. Duke energy regularly sends us monthly bills over $500. I have had multiple HVAC companies come look at our home and system, because for the amount of energy we use, our bills should be less than a fifth of what they claim we use and charge us for. Every professional has said that our home and system are just fine. When I have called Duke to ask why we are being charged for the amount of energy my whole neighborhood probably uses, they blame the “weather”. I don’t know how to hold them accountable for only charging us for what we use, and we have to pay these outrageous amounts or they will cut our electricity off.

Duke should be held to the same standard as other businesses and only charge people for a service they actually used. If Duke was not a monopoly and competitors were allowed to provide electricity, this issue would solve itself. I can’t logically see how we could possibly be using even close to the amounts they claim we do (I went out of town for almost all of July last summer, no one was home and ac was off, guess what, bill was still in the $600 range). They rob me blind every month and there’s nothing we can do about it besides try to pay if we want to have electricity. It’s wrong what this company does to hardworking people.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I've noticed that over the past five years my energy bill has almost tripled. There has been no changes in the amount of power usage and if any I've cut the appliances and heating unit to a bare minimum. Sometimes the unit is off. I've checked the house insulation and still can't find a huge difference in usage of power. The excuse that customer service gave me was that due to the winter weather there was an increase of power being use. I told them that I'm not running a factory and would like the meter reader whenever he appear and vanish into thin air to come read the meter again. I'm considering taking my chances on solar. It can't be any worst.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Hello just letting everyone know how unprofessional Duke Energy really is. They took my money for my deposit and said they gave it back to me already which is a lie. I previously talked to two of their representatives which the call is recorded and both of them told me that I was supposed to get back money. One told me it was going to be a year and the next one told me the end of July. Now someone just called me yesterday that they was doing a random call to check on me which sounds like B.S. I never got a call from them in years now all of a sudden when they owe me money they randomly called me to cover up their mistake LOL. And after talking with the representative yesterday they said I'm not getting my deposit back. And that they already gave it to me. Sincerely unhappy customer. Truly if it had another energy place I would definitely try them.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I have had Duke Energy Power for about 18 years. I don’t use much electricity. I don’t use hot water. I don’t use a dryer or an oven. I keep the thermostat on 70 in the winter and on 74 in the summer when I turn it on. My bill usually runs about $50.00 every month from April to October. Then the large amounts come - usually $100.00 - $150.00. When I call and ask why, they say it’s Christmas lights, cooking and parties. Nope. Then they say it’s the cold weather. Nope. This year I got hit with 4 $400.00+ bills. I asked for a payment arrangement and their offer was pay $300.00 today and & $600.00 in 10 Days.

And, of course any new bill that came in would have to be paid at the same time or they would disconnect. I was paying as much as I could but I couldn’t keep up. I finally had to max out a credit card and I am still not caught up as my new bill came in and it is $187.00. While I was on the phone with a representative who informed me that I had to pay an extra $1.50 to use the credit card, she told me my new bill was posting and wasn’t I glad it was less than normal??

Original review: March 13, 2018

Duke Energy is nothing but a bully who is bullying people by sending bills whatever they desire because they are the only electric company in my state. I own a single family home and my normal bill is between $200 to $250 every month and last month Duke Energy decided they will raise my bill to $667. And I called them several time. Did not get a single good answer from this corrupt company and this month my bill is $467. I mean I am still talking about a single family home. This company needs to be stopped.

Original review: March 9, 2018

From my experience, Duke Energy's monopoly power as a utility manifests itself with customer service. Or lack thereof. I have had service at my home, continuously, for 11 years. I had a contract for sale of this home, so I initiated a termination of service. My buyer did not come through with funds, so I called to re-initiate the account. I was told the service had been cut off an hour prior to my call. I'd have to set up an entirely new account, go through a credit check (to be clear, I paid without incident continuously for 11 years) and the property could not get service until the next business day (as luck would have it, today's a Friday, so not until Monday). I'd also be charged a $28 setup fee.

These are all logical bureaucratic policies. For a new account. But it's the same person/property/utility as of yesterday (or, an hour ago). If there was a power outage, Duke could send someone out on a weekend. For this circumstance, they choose not to. They claim they need to charge $28 to have someone read the meter, but most months my bill indicates the meter reading is an estimate. Clearly, Duke could choose to estimate in this case as well and just turn the power back on. Duke chose not to do that for their customer.

I did speak to a Supervisor, although that was a waste of both our times. Never was there a thought to rationally look at this particular situation, realize the policy procedures need not be followed in this circumstance, and try to do right by the long-standing customer. I understand policies and bureaucracies. I also know that at some stage, a business chooses to enforce its policies, and a good business has the wherewithal to adjust policy when justified -- and does so if it actually cares about its customer. But, again, Duke is a monopoly in my area, and they apparently operate the way they see fit.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I live with a housemate, he normally works 12-16 hours shifts, I tend to be at my girls house 95 percent of the time. It amazes me that Duke states that we are using basically the same amount of power as the previous year when we compare months when clearly I was home and using electricity vs not being at home and not using any electricity. How is that possible? I believe that they are manipulating these electronic meters to benefit them financially...

Original review: March 6, 2018

So I move into a 773 sq ft apartment in June 2018, they offer me an "easy" estimated monthly payment of $78 a month, and whatever difference there is, I'd pay at the end of the year. 6 months go by and I get a bill saying I owe over $1,000. I call and get the breakdown of each month. They said in October I used $200, in November I used $400, December was back to 200, and all the other months were way way higher than I've ever paid for all the years I've paid utilities in many locations. I know this is impossible that I generated this amount, I'm a single working person who is very minimal. I go to my apartment manager, the maintenance guys come take a look.

All the meters in my row were new digital ones except mine, right away they look at it and ask me what I have running right now, I said, "Nothing I haven't been home yet, so just my refrigerator", they say right away, "This thing is spinning too fast." So one of them comes inside with me while the other stayed by the meter. He shuts everything off in the main breaker and calls the other guy, who confirms that the meter is still spinning. Made sense to me, outrageous bills fluctuating all over the place that I obviously couldn't do, only old meter in the row, I thought things would be taken care of. I call Duke back and tell them, they say they'll have to send someone out to test it and for me to call back in a few days. It took 3 attempts for them to ever come out, I kept waiting, calling, and they hadn't come yet.

Finally they come, and they tell me the meter is working fine, and so my bill is correct. I believe they just tinkered around with it or something, because all of the sudden my bill went to 122 for the next month, and my lifestyle hasn't changed the entire time. Then finally I just noticed they ended up changing the meter. They are a bunch of criminals, and the worst part is they are a monopoly. This shouldn't ever be allowed to happen, this is why competition exists, otherwise they feel they can do whatever they want. The government needs to come in and break these guys up, and make sure they aren't taking advantage of people, I'm being robbed and there is nothing I can do about it because I can't live without utilities.

Original review: March 2, 2018

When I had a little problem called up Customer Service and got quick and helpful answers to all my questions. Customers like myself like quick service because we lead such busy and hectic lives. Duke Energy did a great job. Keep up the good work.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I have had a good relationship with Duke Energy especially enrollment in the budget billing which reduce billing surprises. The billing is mostly equal for 10 months then the excess billing is divided between two months which occur every 6 months. If you foresee a financial issue within the timeframe then the due date can be extended. The times I calculated overages on the billing customer service representatives resolved my inquiries.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Have been unable to pay energy bill online. Calling the company, I was told the "system" for receiving such payment has been down for a week & no idea of when it would be repaired. Fortunately, they said they WOULD accept payments by phone for $1.50 per bill. I asked how many customers were affected and was told 1,500,000. The $1.50 "ransom" is not that much, but $1.50 x 1,500,000 customers amounts to $2,250,000 per month, again with NO end in sight. Not a bad take for just not doing their work.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I was gone on vacation for 3 weeks and my next month bill was still the same as the other months. When you ask for an explanation it's always they are right, it doesn't matter and it is what it is.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

My last month's energy bill was almost $700. I have reached out to both Duke Energy and the Public Service Commission. When speaking with Duke, they keep repeating that the cold weather stayed with us for much longer than normal. This is after I already explained that we only utilized the heat for a week with shutting it off during the day since we are at work. They do not have a good reason as to why they are charging 4 times to 6 times as much as other companies for homes that are much larger than mine and ran their heat the entire month. We need to be able to choose which company we want to pay thousands of dollars to and not be forced to pay these ridiculous amounts of money or they decide to shut our power off. This needs to be corrected and fast or the customers may need to reach out to Morgan and Morgan for a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Seems like I am not alone in seeing this electric usage and bill double since the installation of this meter. I have changed nothing in how I approach my electric usage. As in years past we have only heated our bedroom with a small thermostat controlled space heater. We have been doing this for 3 years. When the weather drops into the teens I heat the whole house to protect the plumbing. I think we only had 5-7 days when the weather was this cold. I have called Duke several times to complain and all I get are lies and bull. I ask for someone to come out they say they will and no one ever shows. I think it is time they are investigated. I plan on filing a complaint with the Public Utilities Commission. I would suggest anyone else who feels they are being price gouged do the same. We need to stop companies that have no ethics.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Like many other Duke's customers, we received a very high bill $490 after we installed our own solar panel system, which is two times more than the bill BEFORE we installed our solar system, how come?! File your complaint at PSC for further investigation (I did already) since Duke is the only one for many of us, we shall work as a team to work out this issue. Team work!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Duke Energy is a joke. Someone used my information to create an account and ran the bill up to 300 dollars even after informing Duke Power that I have proof that it was not me. They are still making me pay the balance and it's also on my credit report.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I have always set to use Duke Energy for service and reliability. Customer service is always the best. When looking for new home that is the first question.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Duke constantly go on the power, when they know indeed that poor and middle class cannot afford pay the bill so what happens to them, they sleeping in their vehicle because they can't afford the utilities in the state of N,C, on a minimum wage. So they give their apartment.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I have no issues or complaints about Duke Energy. The company is very easy to deal with where my property is concerned. I would recommend Duke as a reliable residential electric energy supplier.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Good response to power outages, send text messages, etc. They sometimes push for add-ons like electrical damage coverage, appliance coverage, wiring, etc., but if you say no they do not insist.

Duke Energy Company Information