1.20/5
Based on 106 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

858 Duke Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

After not posting my payment to my account it happened again. Keep calling. My payment is paid by my bank. Clears my bank. All information is correct. I get a double bill. Third time. They correct it and then here it is again. Duke Energy needs to do their job right.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

This is the first of many reviews. I am mad as **! I moved out of my home in Nov of 2015 and they did not make it to my shut off order until Feb of 2015. I had squatters crashing at my place that racked up a huge bill... And Duke Energy forced me to pay it even though I provided all the proof they needed to their fraud department. I have had customer service actually HANG UP on me for arguing with them over this matter. This company has the worst policies I've ever seen and if we could shut them down... I would!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Hey my name is Tony ** and I have been waiting on my refund check now for 6 weeks. I have called and been told the same lie. It was mailed out on July 2 2018 and it's 8-14-2018. I call 2 weeks ago and was told y'all emailed it and still no check. So why would it take a place like Duke Power to give someone a 263.00 dollar refund check so long and why lie about it has been mailed when y'all have not done it. I remember when my 84 year old grandmother lights was going to be cut off if she didn't have 91.00 dollars by 5 that day. Wow so now I can't get a refund check. I know if I call again I will hear the same lie so I hope this help and maybe I will get it this week. Thanks for any help with this. Going on 2 months for a refund.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Good Luck getting your deposit back from any Energy Duke. Waiting for my deposit over 60 days already. Every 2 weeks I need to call Duke Energy for my Status of my Deposit when is being refunded. Customer service keep saying the same thing over and over and over again... "Sir your refund is on your way is coming, check is already issue..." **Dukes Energy Sucks Big Time.**

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Power was out due to storm at 5 pm. At 9 pm your technicians told me that they were told to go home and get rest and I would not have power tonight. I called the emergency number, was placed on hold while a supervisor was contacted and told there was 24 hour service working, called again several hours later and was told a different story. Told a bigger line was out that they were fixing first and that then they would got my power restored and was assured they were working through the night. Several hours later - 3rd call told that in fact all technicians had been sent home at 9 pm and there would be no service. Had I received an answer early that was truthful I could have taken all the food in my freezer to a friend's and not lost it all.

Each time the representative told me they were calling dispatch. At least get your stories straight. Meanwhile, my husband who has atrial fibrillation and requires c-pap could not use his c-pap (hope you all sleep well with that). I lost a freezer full of food, and I have a power line that I am unsure whether is hit or not dangling in my driveway. I will complain to every source I can and will be contacting our local action newspeople as well. This is inexcusable, you all have a monopoly in the area, and could care less about your customers.

For 2 hours I watched your technicians stand between 2 trucks laughing and shooting the breeze. Nothing funny to me. The tree they were waiting to have moved, I could have moved myself. In addition, had customer support been honest from the beginning not only would I have saved $100s in lost food, I could have gone and checked into a hotel, but I did not get an honest answer until after 1 am.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Our electricity bill had remained more or less the same for many months - that is until the last two months. In July, our bill was practically double the normal amount. This month (August 2018), our bill was almost triple. I can't understand what's going on, as we use the same amount of electricity as we did in the beginning of the year. The only thing that I can think of that we use more is our air conditioning, but even if that were the case, I would expect paying Duke $50-100 dollars more, not $200 more than normal.

Calling Duke didn't help either. They didn't know (or weren't willing to give us more information) as to why our bills were much, MUCH higher than before. They said that they had installed a "smart" meter at our house recently, and maintained that it was accurate. However, they never came and asked us for permission to install this new meter. They just went ahead and did it. I've read some articles about this particular problem, and apparently it would cost $150 to reinstall our old analog meter (but we never ASKED for this smart meter!) and $11.50 extra per month for someone to come read it. This is ridiculous. But we have no other options. We need electricity, and we feel that Duke Energy is strong-arming us into paying them, because they have a monopoly in our area.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Duke Energy's infrastructure is basically third world. I have worked in developing countries where thunderstorms and other weather conditions did not cause the number of power outages I have experienced as a Duke customer. Is this what we get out of the acquisition of Progress Energy former (thankfully) governor of NC and Duke lobbyist Pat McCrory hand-delivered to Duke? An inadequate infrastructure and zero commitment to customer service? I can only hope our state government will consider a breakup of Duke Energy into public utilities more responsive to the needs of consumers. By the way, I noticed Duke got its requested rate hike from the state utilities commission yesterday. For what?

Original review: July 26, 2018

I recently activated power at my previous address. It was in my Wife's name for years. DE apparently doesn't realize this and tried to sneak in a huge charge in my first month. I travel consistently for work and was gone 25 days of March 2018. I visited my home 3 times during that month. My bill was $208 dollars. Less the connect Fee of $15 and a small consideration for it being a 38 day bill with prorating, that still leaves a bill of at least $175-180 for an unoccupied house. I called and asked for help, and was told a manager would call. They did not. The phone rep actually suggested that someone broke into my house and that was the reason for the high usage without my knowledge.

The next month, when I did move things in and actually plug in a few things and turned on the AC, the bill was $41.36. I called back to ask how a vacant home with only the fridge plugged in could generate 1,935kwh and the same home could do 261kwh the following month. Again, they said a manager would call, they did not. I requested a technician come and check my meter, he said it was 100% working. However, when I explained the bill he seemed shocked and went to check my account notes. He said to wait until I heard back before paying. The next week they disconnected my service. I called back, the attendant said they could not help me and kept referring me to the usage charts. I kept telling her that I had the charts and can prove I was out of state during the month and especially during the High Usage Times.

Eventually I got to a manager who waived the fees and took my payment, including the Inflated first month. Then, my next bill includes a $250 "deposit" based on the late fees that I didn't have to pay. That Bill was $52, in the hottest month of the year. I Called again, and again had to go through several people before they acknowledge what had happened and removed that charge. They suggested that I file a complaint if I'm unhappy and I will in every place that will allow it. I also asked for a new meter, since they claim this one works, and it is obvious that it does not. They refused that as well. All of the staff except the next to last one were very friendly and sounded helpful, but none of them except the one manager actually did anything. IT's as if they know the charges are ** but are not allowed to do anything.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Had bill come due 07/10/18, called on 7/11/18 to request payment extension until 7/27/18, spoke to 1 customer service rep that explained to me that due to my payment history that I was only granted until 7/18/18 which is the original cut off date, when they say payment history I had issued a check on 06/20/18 in the amount of $323 for payment on said account, they went to put the payment thru 06/25/18 and then shut off my electric stating that the check was returned due to "frozen account". I contacted my bank Wells Fargo immediately in which Wells Fargo said that the check in question was never issued for payment to bank...

Anyway long story short... er... I asked to speak to his supervisor. Surely someone above has some sense. So his supervisor comes on and says that the 18th of July is all they can do, so I request to speak to her supervisor in which she tells me "she's not available" so I told her that is unacceptable. I need to speak with another supervisor above her, holy moly. Lo and behold her supervisor "NINA" somehow makes a miraculous introduction into the conversation... Anyway I explain to "NINA" the whole situation and she once again tells me due to my account pay history they cannot grant me the extra week and 2 days.

Jeez, at that point I asked to speak to her supervisor and she explained that she was the last straw, she has a supervisor named "Brandy /i" but that she has no extension for me to contact her, has no direct email, does not have a schedule, there is no branch I can go to and speak to someone directly and regardless would back her up on the date of the 18th being the last day possible, so I ask her since Duke had purchased Progress Energy how many payments have come up and how many payments have we made... She says that 24 payments have come up and we have made 23 of them, all except for the one that we were requesting the week and 2 day extension on... If you don't mind me tooting my horn I would say that's pretty ** good payment history, besides the fact that I don't have any other options for electric service in my county, which if I were to say so myself sounds like a "monopoly".

Nina also explained that they (Duke) does not make errors on payments issued thru their website system or phone... So as of right now Wells Fargo was gracious enough to fax a letter to Duke's payment research center showing that the check we issued for payment on 6/20/18 was actually never issued to them for payment from Duke... So my account was not frozen therefore that should not be on our account. This is not the first issue we have had with Duke but that's a story for another day. Anyway it's crazy. In the competitive world we live in today that the only option I have for electric service is Duke Energy, I mean really how do they get away with that. SMH. So I am going to continue to try (attempt) to climb the Duke Energy ladder until I have an acceptable answer from a 23 billion dollar company to allow me an extra week and 2 days to pay $340 dollars on my account. Lol.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Out of the blue Duke Energy is charging 50% more on my electric bill, no explanation as to why. Admitted there are no other choices for energy and it is essentially a monopoly. I thought we had laws enacted in our country to prevent this type of scamming. Duke Energy is a scam and a brown stain on America.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I used their service for a year at a previous residence. Once I was in the process of moving into my house I called to transfer their services from the builders name into mine. The first representative informed me it would be a $150.00 deposit despite not missing or being late for any of my payments in the past. After I complained the representative transferred me to someone else and he stated he would of waived the deposit for me if the initial person I spoke to hadn't already put it in the system. When I requested what the deposit was based upon, he stated it was based upon past energy usage at the residence. My home was recently built a couple months ago and I'm still unsure what history the deposit was based upon, but was forced to pay it.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I'm in New Port Richey, FL. The simple fact is that Duke Energy is ripping off people. My usage over the past year has decreased, Florida Weatherization has made my entire home energy efficient... And my 2 bills following are higher than prior to getting new HVAC, Front door, solar screens on the windows, moisture barrier under entire house, vents and windows sealed and weather stripped, energy efficient light bulb... all of that! Every time I call they try to feed me some nonsense about the heat. I received a $270 bill in January even though we had no heat all winter due to AC unit being damaged in Hurricane Maria. My next step is taking my story to 8 On Your Side and exposing them for the thieves they are. No reason why my bills should more than double!

Original review: April 20, 2018

Someway I don't understand how but it ended up that I have to pay 2 bills at one time and there is no way that I could pay that much money because my husband and I don't have it. I tried to ask them to let me pay one now and then pay one is in like maybe 2 weeks and there's no they wouldn't do it. There's they would not even hear of it and I told them I have to have electric because my husband is on a breathing machine and if they turn my power off then he won't be able to breathe and they don't even care. I mean they act like they don't care. They have to have all the money or they want to turn my power off. I mean that sounds like a bunch of heartless people. Very heartless and I am so ashamed to be part of Duke Power.

Original review: April 18, 2018

First, I recently moved and when I called to transfer my service to the new apartment, the representative told me that she was going to waive the Service fee since I have paid my account on time every time. Now I received my bill and the charge is there. When I contact customer service they say they can't waive that fee, that she meant the deposit. I let them know I didn't initially have a deposit and there was NO mention of a deposit this time. The fee she mentioned was the $17 service fee. This customer service agent SWEARS she meant the deposit was waived for good payment history. Who would pay a $150 deposit when transferring their service that wasn't even required to START the service?! They will not budge on it and honor the first rep's mistake.

EVEN WORSE - I have been trying to pay my bill online for TWO weeks, let me say that again, TWO WEEKS! Initially I was told it was down and to try again in a few days. No problem. I call again Monday and a cold and absolutely rude CSR tells me that they switched their systems and it has been causing issues with certain accounts paying online and that I had to be transferred to IT. Oh joy, another 20+ wait. I couldn't wait any longer because, you know, WORK! So I emailed. Today is Wednesday, I still cannot pay online, they want me to pay by alternative ways which all hold a convenience fee. I refuse. This is YOUR mistake. Duke did not even have the courtesy to reach out to their customers and let us know about this issue. 2 weeks later it's still an issue. 2 days after being sent to IT, I haven't heard nor am I able to pay my balance.

I have lived in 4 different states, paying through 4 different electric companies and never have I had this level of incompetence and terrible service. How is a company that provides electric to so many customers not able to get their online bill pay back up? At the very least, they should waive/pay the convenience fee for the other forms of payment. It's only $1.50 but it's not the cost, it's the fact that this is THEIR mistake to fix and thousands of people shouldn't have to pay a fee due to their inability to run their business properly.

Original review: April 18, 2018

It was as simple as turning the power on in my condo. It was originally scheduled for April 12, 2018. No one showed up and I was not even aware of it till Monday, April 16 since no one is living there right now. As of today, the power is STILL not turned on. Every time I call, they are giving me an excuse. I requested that they call me if they have an issue with getting it turned on. I NEVER received a call from anyone. 6 days later, still waiting...

Original review: April 18, 2018

I live in Greenwood, IN in an apartment. Every month I get my Duke bill. It is over $150 a month and this month it is over $200. I am never home and I travel a lot for work. This company is an absolute Joke and I can’t wait to go back to IPL when I move. Such a rip off.

Original review: April 15, 2018

We are here in Lillington NC. During a conflict involving an extremely crude Duke Energy employee the Harnett County Sheriff's department made a statement to me calling Duke Energy a monopoly. We are on day four without power and still every time we call customer service no one is listening. In November we called in to pay the bill by phone just as we have done for the last 4 years, never mind we have lived here 30 years and never had power turned off for non-payment. We were notified at that time that even though the power was still working that our power had been off since October and that our account was closed and we would have to zero the balance and start a new account if we wanted to keep the lights on.

They said we missed 4 payments and that we hadn't made a payment since June. This didn't make sense because anyone familiar with the Duke knows Duke takes past due accounts very seriously and never leaves the power on after two missed payments. After 6 hours on the phone, five different representatives, and many senseless arguments an actually somewhat helpful gentleman was able to track the card used to pay and found where Duke Energy applied 4 prior months of our payments to the wrong account. He said they found it and would fix the mistake, but first we had to zero the balance of $366 and start a new account with a new deposit.

They promised to finish investigating and issue a credit to the new account. The deposit due that night was to be waived until there was a resolution. After hearing nothing about the issue for over a month we called in January to find a $182 credit. We still hadn't received a paper bill when we called in early February and there was still $40 of credit and so we waited for a new bill.

Then on February 12 with medical paperwork issuing a moratorium on disconnecting power, they tried for the second time during the designated dates to turn off power to the home of 3 disabled people, one of whom is elderly. At that time they were saying we then owed $900 and that if we didn't pay, the power would be turned off. After getting on the phone and arguing for hours again with some lying low level customer service agent, instead of the supervisor we asked for, we discovered that a new account for our address had been started in December and that there was now two accounts for this one address. Supposedly we were going to be elevated and there were notes made for a supervisor to call, to no surprise no one called. Then four days ago they came while we were gone and pulled the meter making an accusation that we committed a felony act of stealing power and that now we owe $1700.

After fighting with them for months about this billing issue now all of a sudden we are liars and thieves and not to be trusted. By making such accusations we are now left without the remedy of filing a claim with the Utilities Commission. It seems awfully convenient that after repeatedly trying to turn off power illegally and saying we have a bill we don't owe and there is apparently no records upholding their claims of debt, that we are "stealing power" and can't talk to their "bosses". Duke's official recommendation to resolve this issue is to pay the bill or if we couldn't pay they said that we should seek assistance from community action and to take from those genuinely in need just to correct Duke's error.

I have spent two full days on the phone with different representatives who all say there is no supervisor available. According to their records they gave me I still can't make their math work to any of the said amounts owed which has now changed to $1300 and then again to $1010. We have also been told that there has been no payments on the new account that was started in November and that the deposit was only deferred for two weeks. This again does not contain any logic, that a new account with a two week deferred deposit and no payments was not even tried to be turned off till three months later in February when they told us they didn't have any medical paperwork preventing the disconnection.

This has been many irreplaceable days, countless sleepless nights of panicked worrying, needless heightened stress, and devastating emotional turmoil and all of this energy is spent trying to get a greed, devious, mega giant energy monopoly to only charge us based on the energy we actually use and not the profits they want to create.

In the last two days I have heard of 2 other neighbors who have also recently had billing issues with Duke Energy. One of whom's daughter is disabled and power dependent where they threatened to cut service without payment of a debt they couldn't produce records for. The other whose second home was left empty and winterized with bills over $400. If the Harnett County Sheriff's Department recognizes Duke Energy is a monopoly. How is it that our State and Federal governments won't admit and do something about it? Someone please help us? We are at a complete loss of how to get our power restored without meeting the completely unwarranted demands of this domestic terrorist organization.

Original review: April 13, 2018

The day before I moved out of my apartment, I called Duke Energy to have my name taken off the address. I was told their system is having issues and do this myself using the Stop Service feature in their website, which I did. I received a message (within the website) that my service will be stopped in three business days, but I never got an email confirmation. A month later, I received a bill covering the days that I had already moved out. After numerous calls, I was told that they never received the Stop Service request. I am being penalized for a malfunction in their system.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have been without power since Wednesday Apr 4th. It is currently Apr 10th. Duke said they had not received the release of power from Orange County (for an inspection). They lied. OC showed me in their reports that they sent it on the 5th. OC sent it again yesterday when I asked them to. The notes showed that, as well. I have called Duke energy _daily_ trying to get my power back on and they have lied to me at every turn. They should pay me back for the time I had to take off work. (They required that I be there to sign paperwork to get my power on. They never showed up.) And for all the food I lost when the fridge and freezer finally gave up. This is an abuse of their power over me because they are the only company that provides power in my area. This is unacceptable!

Original review: April 9, 2018

When I paid my bill online for Duke Energy I made a mistake at the bank when I deposited my funds into the wrong account. I called them immediately and explained. The representative told me to make another payment, not to worry, that they don't send those payments through a second time. 3 days later both payments hit my account. So, I had to put a stop payment on one of them. The next month I made my payment they sent me an email stating that my ACH payment was returned and my ACH authorization has been revoked. I called again. Each representative tells a different story. I'm so aggravated! I wish I had a choice on who my energy provider is. I'm sick of this company.

Original review: April 9, 2018

If you can use a crank machine for electricity, it will give you less stress than this company. I'm a CURRENT customer and I abhor it whenever I have to call Duke Energy. They charged me 3 times in 8 days and REFUSED to give me a refund. That's just the latest. Never mind you have to constantly register online which erases all of your information that you had for auto pay so that when you "skip" a payment they charge you an extra $40 reconnection fee then lie to your face that you never set up auto pay. THESE PEOPLE ARE DISGUSTING AND TREAT THEIR CUSTOMERS LIKE **! I've had Con Edison and Time Warner in the past, so I know crap when I smell it but this company takes the ** cake of the century. Warning hide your husband, hide your kids, hide your wife, people get raped with Duke Energy!!!

Original review: April 7, 2018

I seriously think these crooks bring employees in and train them to be liars and how to talk around the main issue! They're all going to hell! My past experience, as well as my son's is too long and excruciating to include all details. I started out as a customer in 1981 and used their services till 2006 at which time my power was disconnected due to "not enough payment made" and when I tried to pay what I could, that wasn't good enough either. When my son rented a home close to me in 2010, he called Duke to have his power connected. He had a delinquent bill that had to be paid first, which he knew about, so that was done. When he called back to pay his deposit, they had a bill that his Father had failed to pay and told him he would have to pay it also... He did so... Again, they had dug up more bills from other sources where he had never lived... To make a long story short, he ended up paying $3,300.00 to have his power turned on!

How this company can get away with making someone pay someone else's bill is beyond me! I guess they figured since he had already paid his rent and deposit and moved all his things in, they had a sucker. Well during all this, instead of seeing him have to pay out all this money, I tried to have it put in my name but told I could not since my name wasn't on the lease. My name was going to be put on the lease, but not in time to save him $3300. But since I told an unintentional fib by saying my name was on the lease before it was to be put on, they started investigating ME! One of the receptionist actually called me a Liar when I told her I had been living in my home for 4 years (at the time) without power!

It has now been almost 13. I was STALKED by one of the servicemen, he called me a liar, among other lies he told, he called in from his truck and told them I was living with my son because I took my son coffee in my PJ"s. The Liar was sitting down the road and saw me pull in my son's driveway! He sat in a parking lot next to my house till he saw no one was here with me to witness and then came and removed my meter (after 4 years) and tried to say the tab had been tampered with which was a lie. Except for being degrading and actually illegal, it didn't change anything... Yes, I learned to survive without it! It was hard at first, I have to admit. My mother lives close by so that helped as far as taking showers when I didn't feel like heating water.

I went through a couple generators, countless batteries and candles, 4 kerosene heaters, wood, oil lamps and about 3 grills among other things. It also helped having family ties with Kentuckians and Amish links. And I have done this for the simple reason of not giving Duke the satisfaction of getting my money! That's how bad I despise them. If America ever has a Black-out, I'd LOVE to be a fly on the wall and watch all the owners and employees with Duke Energy SQUIRM! People take advantage of power and Duke knows this, that's why they charge so much. BUT, since my Mother is going out of town for a week or so and because of my Grandkids, I've reluctantly decided to have my power restored. (I was hoping the City would take over our power service, I'd rather pay City Taxes than Duke Energy).

My deposit is paid and my power was to be reconnected on Thurs., they didn't show... When I called they said it would be the following day... They didn't show. What should be responsible adults working in this place turns out to be a bunch of silly kids playing a "Spite Game" with me. What they don't know is that I contacted the Governor about how they did my son and I already have a case against them so if my power isn't on by Monday all I have to do is contact him again and this will be another strike against them.

I will NOT call them again. If they decide to come and do their job, fine, if not, I'll carry on the same way I have for almost 13 years. If they choose to come after dark when I'm not able to see any faulty wiring my newly graduated electrician might have missed and my house catches on fire, I'll simply sue them! So, I'll let everyone know how these new Smart Meters work as far as the bill amount goes, if it's too high, I'll just have it cut back off. Rest assured I will be using as little power as possible because I've learned I don't really need it.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I live in a single family home that is less than 2,000 square feet. Duke energy regularly sends us monthly bills over $500. I have had multiple HVAC companies come look at our home and system, because for the amount of energy we use, our bills should be less than a fifth of what they claim we use and charge us for. Every professional has said that our home and system are just fine. When I have called Duke to ask why we are being charged for the amount of energy my whole neighborhood probably uses, they blame the “weather”. I don’t know how to hold them accountable for only charging us for what we use, and we have to pay these outrageous amounts or they will cut our electricity off.

Duke should be held to the same standard as other businesses and only charge people for a service they actually used. If Duke was not a monopoly and competitors were allowed to provide electricity, this issue would solve itself. I can’t logically see how we could possibly be using even close to the amounts they claim we do (I went out of town for almost all of July last summer, no one was home and ac was off, guess what, bill was still in the $600 range). They rob me blind every month and there’s nothing we can do about it besides try to pay if we want to have electricity. It’s wrong what this company does to hardworking people.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I've noticed that over the past five years my energy bill has almost tripled. There has been no changes in the amount of power usage and if any I've cut the appliances and heating unit to a bare minimum. Sometimes the unit is off. I've checked the house insulation and still can't find a huge difference in usage of power. The excuse that customer service gave me was that due to the winter weather there was an increase of power being use. I told them that I'm not running a factory and would like the meter reader whenever he appear and vanish into thin air to come read the meter again. I'm considering taking my chances on solar. It can't be any worst.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Hello just letting everyone know how unprofessional Duke Energy really is. They took my money for my deposit and said they gave it back to me already which is a lie. I previously talked to two of their representatives which the call is recorded and both of them told me that I was supposed to get back money. One told me it was going to be a year and the next one told me the end of July. Now someone just called me yesterday that they was doing a random call to check on me which sounds like B.S. I never got a call from them in years now all of a sudden when they owe me money they randomly called me to cover up their mistake LOL. And after talking with the representative yesterday they said I'm not getting my deposit back. And that they already gave it to me. Sincerely unhappy customer. Truly if it had another energy place I would definitely try them.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I have had Duke Energy Power for about 18 years. I don’t use much electricity. I don’t use hot water. I don’t use a dryer or an oven. I keep the thermostat on 70 in the winter and on 74 in the summer when I turn it on. My bill usually runs about $50.00 every month from April to October. Then the large amounts come - usually $100.00 - $150.00. When I call and ask why, they say it’s Christmas lights, cooking and parties. Nope. Then they say it’s the cold weather. Nope. This year I got hit with 4 $400.00+ bills. I asked for a payment arrangement and their offer was pay $300.00 today and & $600.00 in 10 Days.

And, of course any new bill that came in would have to be paid at the same time or they would disconnect. I was paying as much as I could but I couldn’t keep up. I finally had to max out a credit card and I am still not caught up as my new bill came in and it is $187.00. While I was on the phone with a representative who informed me that I had to pay an extra $1.50 to use the credit card, she told me my new bill was posting and wasn’t I glad it was less than normal??

Original review: March 13, 2018

Duke Energy is nothing but a bully who is bullying people by sending bills whatever they desire because they are the only electric company in my state. I own a single family home and my normal bill is between $200 to $250 every month and last month Duke Energy decided they will raise my bill to $667. And I called them several time. Did not get a single good answer from this corrupt company and this month my bill is $467. I mean I am still talking about a single family home. This company needs to be stopped.

Original review: March 9, 2018

From my experience, Duke Energy's monopoly power as a utility manifests itself with customer service. Or lack thereof. I have had service at my home, continuously, for 11 years. I had a contract for sale of this home, so I initiated a termination of service. My buyer did not come through with funds, so I called to re-initiate the account. I was told the service had been cut off an hour prior to my call. I'd have to set up an entirely new account, go through a credit check (to be clear, I paid without incident continuously for 11 years) and the property could not get service until the next business day (as luck would have it, today's a Friday, so not until Monday). I'd also be charged a $28 setup fee.

These are all logical bureaucratic policies. For a new account. But it's the same person/property/utility as of yesterday (or, an hour ago). If there was a power outage, Duke could send someone out on a weekend. For this circumstance, they choose not to. They claim they need to charge $28 to have someone read the meter, but most months my bill indicates the meter reading is an estimate. Clearly, Duke could choose to estimate in this case as well and just turn the power back on. Duke chose not to do that for their customer.

I did speak to a Supervisor, although that was a waste of both our times. Never was there a thought to rationally look at this particular situation, realize the policy procedures need not be followed in this circumstance, and try to do right by the long-standing customer. I understand policies and bureaucracies. I also know that at some stage, a business chooses to enforce its policies, and a good business has the wherewithal to adjust policy when justified -- and does so if it actually cares about its customer. But, again, Duke is a monopoly in my area, and they apparently operate the way they see fit.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I live with a housemate, he normally works 12-16 hours shifts, I tend to be at my girls house 95 percent of the time. It amazes me that Duke states that we are using basically the same amount of power as the previous year when we compare months when clearly I was home and using electricity vs not being at home and not using any electricity. How is that possible? I believe that they are manipulating these electronic meters to benefit them financially...

Original review: March 6, 2018

So I move into a 773 sq ft apartment in June 2018, they offer me an "easy" estimated monthly payment of $78 a month, and whatever difference there is, I'd pay at the end of the year. 6 months go by and I get a bill saying I owe over $1,000. I call and get the breakdown of each month. They said in October I used $200, in November I used $400, December was back to 200, and all the other months were way way higher than I've ever paid for all the years I've paid utilities in many locations. I know this is impossible that I generated this amount, I'm a single working person who is very minimal. I go to my apartment manager, the maintenance guys come take a look.

All the meters in my row were new digital ones except mine, right away they look at it and ask me what I have running right now, I said, "Nothing I haven't been home yet, so just my refrigerator", they say right away, "This thing is spinning too fast." So one of them comes inside with me while the other stayed by the meter. He shuts everything off in the main breaker and calls the other guy, who confirms that the meter is still spinning. Made sense to me, outrageous bills fluctuating all over the place that I obviously couldn't do, only old meter in the row, I thought things would be taken care of. I call Duke back and tell them, they say they'll have to send someone out to test it and for me to call back in a few days. It took 3 attempts for them to ever come out, I kept waiting, calling, and they hadn't come yet.

Finally they come, and they tell me the meter is working fine, and so my bill is correct. I believe they just tinkered around with it or something, because all of the sudden my bill went to 122 for the next month, and my lifestyle hasn't changed the entire time. Then finally I just noticed they ended up changing the meter. They are a bunch of criminals, and the worst part is they are a monopoly. This shouldn't ever be allowed to happen, this is why competition exists, otherwise they feel they can do whatever they want. The government needs to come in and break these guys up, and make sure they aren't taking advantage of people, I'm being robbed and there is nothing I can do about it because I can't live without utilities.

Not sure about Duke Energy?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Utility Companies for you.

Duke Energy Company Information

www.duke-energy.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business