1.15/5

Need a utility company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

892 Duke Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

December the 3rd I set to make my December budget. I log into account, go to account summary, see my full balance and due day. Screen shoot it, log it and noted it and moved on with my day. Total due 247.+ change. Due date is December 21st. Come home 9 days later my power was off. After many calls and talking to reps bottom line, "That's not your due date. Yes that amount has your last month's due and current balance but the date that shows is for your current balance."

"Why is that?" I asked to the rep. "Well if we only had the current balance on there the people would assume that was the total balance due and we would have to honor that." Exactly my point. So why not have the sooner due date on there. I understand I have a balance due. But when you log in and see total due and a due date you have all the info needed. Duke just wants your $50 and new depot from you.

I'm a Single mother that does not receive any asst. from the state - believe hard work gets you thru. My daughter is at All Children's Hospital with severe heart problems. To the staff of Duke Energy that takes time to read my BBB - Follow up what is my current news and All Children's Hospital. The whole cardio team was let go to miss testament plains. So yes I know you send this out and that out ask did you get my email. I logged into my account thru my email. Saw want my account summary total balance & due date.

I'm not always on time with my payment. When you work part with a sick child on income in the house you make things work out. You do not know how or when. But when I know I have a due date I've called and pay or set a promise to pay. I asked rep on December the 3rd when I logged in was my due date the 21st of December. Yes if your account was current. So if you a balance that has a past due and current due should shouldn't that date read November 21st. Yes - rep confirms error.

I offered to have power turn back on with a promise to pay set for Friday December the 14th. Full amount plus reconnect fee. Reps are very rude - talk over you. Ask to send email., "No. We cannot send emails." Asked to talk to IT. "We can't do that." Asked to speak with a supervisor "You are talking to one". "No I'm not. I work for a call center. Transfer me please." You get nothing. I get - we need you to understand you sit may not be perfect. I can see why you are upset. So I understand you - but sorry we can't understand you. Your only op is to have Duke Energy in the state of FL - so if you want power they do not care if you are happy or not. You have no other Ops.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I have been a Duke Energy customer for almost 10 years now. It's not like we can take our business anywhere else. We are forced to use Duke Energy if we want to have electricity in our homes. I pay every month, a lot of times I pay late. My family and I struggle to make payments towards our bills, but we always do. I have been up for disconnection before, and I know it is my fault that it gets this bad, but when I call their so-called customer service and talk with them, they tell me, "Too bad." They say that they have changed their billing policies and can no longer give extensions to people on the economy fixed billing.

I was asking for 1 day, so they would not shut off my electricity in the middle of the cold winter in Indiana 1 day before my payday. It's like they never schedule a disconnection on a Friday when 95% of people get paid because they want that extra money from the reconnect fee. Also, since I have had 2 consecutive disconnect notices, they feel the need to charge me a 315$ security deposit. They did the same thing this time last year, so help me understand why I have to pay a second security deposit.

So when their customers are having trouble paying their electric bills what do they do? They charge them more money. $300 dollars more. If I have trouble paying my bill, what makes you think I can add $300 more to the mix. They are asking to lose customers. But their customer can't take their business elsewhere because there is nowhere else to go. We can only use Duke Energy. I thought monopolies were illegal. I guess there is a loophole in everything.

If you are looking to buy a house in Indiana, please check who the electric service provider is and buy a house somewhere else if it is Duke. You will be overly disappointed with their services and customer service department. Take my word and everyone else's, they are crooked, they are criminals, they do not care about their customers, they only care about those Benjamins. Run as far away from Duke Energy as possible!!!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I double paid one month. Costing me to overdraft my bank account and had to get a cash advanced. I called customer service to get the extra payment they received. They said it will take 2 weeks to get the check; however now it has been a month with no check in the mail. Now electric is due and I "owe". I called customer service. They just sent the check 2 days ago! Resulting in my payment will be late. Worse energy company ever! If it was going to take a month to get the money back then I wouldn't have requested it! They don't care about timeliness and their customers. I have never had a good experience with them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have been a Duke Energy customer for many years. I pay my bill every month and always make sure that the minimum payment was made. I am retired living on limited retirement check coming in every month at the beginning of the month. Today I arrived home after helping at our church and found my electric has been shut off. That means no fridge, stove any lighting or home phone working. I am a senior living alone with two dogs on a very cold night in Pinellas Co. Where is the mindset of Duke Energy to do this? They know that I pay my bill every month in the beginning of the month when I get paid. I am sick about all of it. I feel like I have been hit with a hurricane by Duke. This could have been avoided... my records show I pay every month - by the third. It is very cold out tonight... not good for me.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I was away from home 5 days (no one at home) in June 2018 & my utility bill was $60 more. Called the rep & told them I noticed they had installed a new meter. Confirmed that the meter was installed a week before I left to go out of town but it is ironic that my bill went up after new meter was in place. I spoke to reps & supervisor that claimed it could have been my air condition. I told them it could not be because I had my AC serviced in May & I set my AC at 82 before I left home. I asked them to recheck my meter but I don't know if they did because they don't tell you when they are coming out to do it.

Needless to say I still had to pay that higher bill. That merger with Progress Energy should have not been allowed because the rates are higher & continue to go up with no one regulating them. Also, my utility stayed off four days during the storm in September (still high estimated bill) and I did not have as many outages when I was with Progress Energy. We need stricter regulations on Duke Energy rate hikes or another utility provider that will not ripping customers off.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

As many have said here a joke of a company. Got this month's bill. Twice what it was last year at the same time. Of course they used the more days in the billing cycle. Not twice the days. Why. Twice the money. Plus the fact they extend the billing cycle so some may run over the 1000 kW level and you get charged more per kW. Kinda crooked business. They started on the "well your A/C could be old and your water heater is old". Same thing I hear every time I call on a too high power bill.

Would almost rather hear the truth out of them ("We can charge you what we want and you can't do a damn thing about it"). I get mad as hell and pay it instead of being lied to and screwed over. What my father would have said about this way of doing business would not be allowed here. Then again these are the downfall of our country through business like this. Good business built this country strong. Now we have the likes of Duke ENERGY. They have only building their pockets in mind.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Duke Energy is ripping me off. I have called 1-2 times a month to cancel being on time of use. My bill is almost tripled since new meter. They tell me every time I call, "Yes it will be a done." They have payments not credited to my account that I have proof of. I asked for pay history and it's crazy like they doctored it up when I asked for, charges of 900 added etc. They told me they cannot correspond through letters, only phone. I get different answers each time I call. Worst company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I moved into a studio apartment. This is my 3rd month. They told me I had a past due amount from 3 years ago and could not give me service till I paid that bill. So I paid it in full. They told me I also had a credit from that bill that went on the past due bill. I told them I get social security and would have my due date set up on the first of each month. The sales rep said, "No problem... But you will have a new deposit to pay 100. We will divide it up in 3 payments 50 plus whatever your 1st month bill is." I get my 1st bill 100. I pay 100. Told them 50 for the deposit and 100 for the bill. 3 weeks later I get a disconnect notice saying I defaulted on my agreement. Now I owe 200... This is my 2nd bill. I asked how did I default. She stated it has to be paid by the 29th which is 3 days before my check... Hummm.

So Duke knew I would get a check on the 1st but would default me 3 days before I get a check. They smart. That's how they drive those fancy cars. The 3 days will cost to restore service and on top of that late fees... Just sad how they do people but when you buy all the power grids you can be the boss. Lady on a breathing machine was shut off... Families in ice storms shut off. I am just glad I was able to pay mine. My light bill is more than my rent. I have a studio apartment only 2 lights kitchen light and bathroom light. They said that's a lot of lights... Lol.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

This morning I reviewed my bill and noticed it was a great deal more than what I normally pay. After reading through the "ebill" I was notified that I am being billed a second security deposit for unsatisfactory payments. I have been a customer of Duke Energy for many years. I have never had a payment returned and forgot one time to pay my bill but still was never disconnected. This is a stick up considering the taxes I pay in addition to the climbing fees Duke Energy gets approved of each year. What is most disturbing is they make claim that if I make satisfactory payments I will get my deposit back.

They don't explain what determines unsatisfactory and don't detail satisfactory. If I pay late along with the late fee, the money is getting to the company. I can't believe companies in the day of customer experience is allowed to do this. I can't fight because there is no competition, Duke Energy is an oligopoly. This is unfair and deceptive practices. If banks are not allowed to charge unnecessary fees, how are we allowing our electric resource to do so?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Somehow charged me $116 dollars for my apartment electricity even though I didn't have the heater running. This is about 4x what it should be. The website somehow locked me out because apparently it's too difficult to correctly store someone's phone number, email address, or social security number in their database. I now have to call them tomorrow during the 2-second period their customer service is open and wait ten-thousand years while the service person finishes his DOTA 2 match before answering the phone.

Duke Energy Company Information