3.7/5 (238 ratings)

About Duke Energy

Duke Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Original review: May 14, 2022

Being a Duke Power Energy Customer for almost 40 years, in NC, they have always been energy conservative and trying to make their product more efficient. Then why in the good world would you add another piece of paper to your bill to show basically nothing to an average household provider. One piece of paper times how many Thousands of customers???? Rewrite your bill on a single piece of paper, and pass that onto your customers.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

Recently we had two of your employees come to our town (Shenandoah, Iowa) and stayed at our Hotel Shenandoah Inn & Suites. The two men (Brandon and Lorenzo were the employees first names) both employees were very kind and respectful. Thank you again for choosing our Hotel for your employees. We Thank you.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Infrequent outages usually brief and excellent communication with notice updates via text messages. Also regular monthly emails about current usage and tips on energy saving ideas. Also provide average use for homes similar to their customers homes.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

Today, Aug 6th 2021 my neighbor's electric pole broke and fell on parts of a tree, scary, small fire. I called 911 and within mins fire dept. police, and Duke Energy came fast, had the situation under control. The promptness of Duke Energy and all those men worked tirelessly until they got a new pole in-ground, the old pole out and tree cut up, to watch those workers work together non-stop. And it took hours and was hot. I just want to thank them very much for the commitment to get us power. Very much appreciated.

Original review: May 4, 2022

Duke Energy has the WORST customer service of any I have ever called. Didn’t help at all, ended up having to make a double payment because they can’t get their crap straight. So unprofessional and very rude!

Original review: April 20, 2022

I was billed for a unit I did not live in. Four months later, several hours on the phone with customers service agents, more hours on hold, and the issue is still not resolved. My credit score is now being negatively impacted. I am helpless and suffering from their negligence.

Original review: April 20, 2022

(NOTE: I have to live with this because Duke Energy is my only source for electricity. I have no other choice.) For years now I have not understood my electric bills. I have always lived alone in my present home (a townhouse flanked on each side by other townhouses, mine being the smallest in my building) and have no guests staying, so I alone control my electric usage. I am billed monthly. Duke Energy predicts my bills and sends me a usage report email about mid-way into each month. Every month I try to conserve more heavily after I receive their email (however, I always conserve) to try to get my bill lower than their prediction... but it never happens. I even go what many people would probably consider overboard. I mainly cut my air or heat depending on the time of year. I also stay conscious of my usage of lights, and my laundry machines, which I use no more than 4 to 6 times a month anyway.

Most days I cook once or not at all, I seldom bake, and my dishwasher is used once weekly. However, when I get my final bill it's always a bit... or a LOT higher than Duke Energy's prediction. Also, I have lived in my home for over 9 years and have only had a Christmas tree or used Christmas lights TWICE, (I am aware that the type of lights used nowadays barely use any electricity anyway) but every December my electric bill is way higher than normal, no matter the weather. I also get emails telling me my electric usage is much higher than my neighbors, most of which have homes much larger than mine and more occupants. I don't understand any of this, and don't think it's correct... or fair.

Original review: April 8, 2022

For years, I have allowed Duke to direct draft my checking a/c to pay the bill. They more or less pay themselves when they want. They do send me a bill via email and I can log in if I feel like it to look at details which I rarely do. But the March bill had an expected amount, plus $14.26 in prior month charges. Huh? So I do log in find the $14.26 is a late charge. After about 2 hours and 8 calls, mainly talking to a robot, I get a live person. Got cut off the first live call, so about 3 more and again I get a live person. Took forever for to look it up (why do they even have computers?) while I was on hold and feared cut off again. Yep, finally the lady said, that was a late charge. I asked her how in the world can Duke assess a late charge when they control when the bill is paid? Hem Haw, yessir, we will credit that back.

About 10 days later, received a credit from Duke in my checking a/c for $6 so this is probably not over. Their IT group must be a bunch of rank amateurs. System down for days, I must have received 20 emails/letters about change in billing system. Final point, just how many people did Duke cheat like this. Not everyone pays attention. In fact, way to few pay attention. Was it 1,000, 10,000 or 100,000 people they cheated?

Original review: March 28, 2022

Called on Friday afternoon to get my electricity installed, from 7am to 12pm I spoke with 3 different agents. All whom asked me the same questions as the person before and all who ran my credit report 3 separate times. Quoted 3 different prices on deposits on each call, all getting higher than the previous one. Once I was set up they told me it would take 1-3 business days for Duke Energy to come out and install a meter. When I happened to call back on Monday to get my installation fee reduced with a meter number, they happen to ask me if I had already scheduled an inspection before duke energy showed up. Giving me the wrong county number to call. Duke energy has been nothing but a pain, they don't communicate with one another and don't let the customer know anything until it's too late. Now I'm having to extend opening up my business another week or so.

Original review: March 22, 2022

I moved out of my apartment in August of 2021. I took all appropriate steps to close my account including giving a forwarding address. Yet, 1.5 YEARS later I get a bill from a collections agency. I checked back through phone records and emails to see if I had missed something. I didn’t. No phone call and no email. I checked with the owner of my forwarding address to see if I had received any mail from Duke Energy. I had not. I now have a huge ding in my credit score for 7 years for failing to pay a bill that I had no idea existed.

Duke Energy Company Information