1.23/5

Need a utility company?

879 Duke Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

We have been on Duke Energy EPP for several years (no other choice). Always paid on time. All of a sudden they want to up my payment $77 a month because we had one month that was a little high. Mind you we have carried a credit every month for the whole year which usually equals out. Called in September. Someone will get back with me. Called 4 times in October to discuss. Nope. Called one more time on 10/22/2018. Was told in August we were higher than normal and they would need to adjust the amount. SAY WHAT! One month and then I have to pay an extra $924 for a year. We carried a credit all year 1. This is amazing. The lady I talked with says there is NO phone line into the area I needed to speak with to dispute this. So our options were to pay it $299 a month or get off the EPP. Really. Thanks Duke for not talking to your loyal customers.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I have been attempting to cancel my service for a few weeks now, and each time run into issues. The first time they wouldn't do anything because my wife called, and she wasn't "authorized." Next I've been attempting to call, but because I'm generally working during their business hours I constantly miss them. I tried to do it online, and it doesn't seem to give you the ability to do so. Now I'm going to end up paying for about 15 days of service that we weren't even around for, and that's if I can actually get a hold of them being that they're not available on the weekends. This is just one of a few different things that have made this company so difficult to work with. Not that the next company will be much better, but I'm thankful we no longer will need to deal with Duke Energy.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

When evaluating utility expenditures on a property my family rents (we pay the utilities as stated in Lease) I noticed Duke Energy stopped auto-drafting (we did not stop auto draft). My sister, the bill payer, was going through a separation and no longer had a computer but knew Duke was drafting from our bank account so she thought bill being paid.

I called D.E. to inquire and Customer Service transferred me to Energy Protection. She said they would be sending a technician out. That afternoon our single mom with two young children called to say the power was off. I called Customer No Service back. After explaining loudly what happened I asked to speak to Energy Protection - "closed". I then asked to speak to a Supervisor and was refused. The next morning I called Energy Protection and loudly explained the Unfair and Unjust action they had taken.

They are the ones who changed the meter Aug. 2017 (said information did not match) and they are the ones who stopped drafting payments. And they could not seem to grasp the simple thought that one, the tenant does not pay the bill so no need for her to steal power; two, I am the one that called them! If I wanted to steal power why would I call them? Of course all her food in refrigerator ruined. I have had to pay for hotel room because cold at night this week! I had to pay $758 in "theft fees" to get power back on. It has been a week and considering it is Friday 4:30 and they say "scheduled to set meter today"- not looking too good!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

We have not lived in our house for months because of a job transfer yet our power bill is extremely high. They assume someone lives there so they are trying to get away with padding the bill to pay for their new nuclear power plant. Their dept heads have been told to squeeze every penny they can from anywhere they can find it so this is why they will try to tack on unjustified late fees, turn your power back on fees if you are couple of days late on a payment, anything they can do to steal extra money from clients since the consumer has no other source of power.

This is what happens when there is no competition, if so they would be out of business tomorrow. They are an arrogant group of Fat Cats that laugh at their hostages, not customers. Just google the lawsuits from customers (hostages) they have pending. This is what happens when a company monopolizes a segment of consumer products and is exactly why we have monopoly laws. Their lobbyist control our politicians with campaign donations. Sorry Florida. You are a bunch of suckers for allowing them to swindle you.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

No power for 5 days because of hurricane. Turn around a day later turn off service for nonpayment. They are rude. Don’t feel any empathy for customers. Fridge went bad. No food for five days but they don’t care. This company is the worse of all electric companies I’ve ever had. Get out and vote for a new judge to change these policies on this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I hate having to use them. Our power goes out several times a year and it always takes longer than 24 hours to fix it. They don't replace food that's gone bad due to them fixing problems slowly. My bill has gone up over 65 dollars since their new meters. I hate these people so much. Hate!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Their costs are average however it is clear that they need to improve their infrastructure. When Florence came through, my section of the neighborhood was off for a while while the surrounding area was ok. I know others had it worse and I feel horrible for what they went through. Non-Duke employees came to help, and they sat in bewilderment as they blew 3 transformers trying to fix it not knowing what was wrong with the system. I used to think National Grid in upstate NY was a bad electric company... I was wrong. I have been in Charlotte, NC for just over 4 years and have had the power out more than the 35 years prior. They seem more reactive than proactive.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Amazing response. Within 2 days of my street light repair request the repairs were made and I received a reply by email and a personal call. I am thoroughly satisfied with the way this was handled and communicated back to me.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I live alone in a small villa. Is it hot in Florida, yes. My electric bills are always around $170.00 and I live on social security and a small pension. Thermostat always on 78 degrees and I use very little electric. I can hardly afford food. They tack on all these extra fees. I've lived in Florida all my life and have never had electric bills like this. Duke Energy has horrible reviews. This company is not even accredited and they need to be investigated because they will raise their rates again after all these hurricanes.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

My bill has tripled. By the time I'm able to pay bill next one comes out. When I went to pay it they didn't give me option to pay previous bill. They wanted full payment. I get a notice in mail on Friday saying, "Your electric is due to BE shut off on MONDAY." What kind of notice is this for 550.00 when new bill just came out. They ARE money hungry. Worst customer SERVICE EVER DEALT WITH and if you don't ask for an extension in a certain amount of time then they say, "I'm sorry but we cannot give him an extension. You're too late to ask for it." Are you kidding me? You just sent me a bill telling me it's going to be disconnected. Meanwhile I am disabled and my daughter has Down syndrome and it's just her and I. They have no sympathy whatsoever. They do not care.

Duke Energy Company Information