2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

3.8/5 (271 ratings)

About Duke Energy

Duke Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

Jason was professional. Diagnosed problem. It was outside of Duke Energy but he guided us in the right direction. Totally outstanding! He was professional and very knowledgeable! Good to have great people when you need them! Thank you Jason. Great job!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I've had Duke Energy for about three years now. Here in Florida we have certain issues when storms come or heavy rains. My power can go out for a little bit and come back on as soon as it goes off. The online services are always easy to reset through email. My bill is never too high but they always have payment arrangements in case it do. Very much appreciated. I'll pick this over Lakeland electric any day.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Well let me start off by saying my experience hasn’t been the best with the bill service!!!! The customer service people are always sweet and nice on the phone but with trying to figure out billing issues I’m highly extremely frustrated with this company!!! I honestly told the last representative that I hoped for the love of God that they weren’t in my new area I’m moving to soon for light service as I never wanted to even use this company again!! Which sucks cause they’re the primary service for this area! But basically paid my bill early and on time two weeks ago. The money never came out of my account, this week I get a letter stating if I didn’t pay my bill my lights would be shut off which is odd cause I paid the bill two weeks ago!!!! So I call them. They said my check was returned.

Called the bank. I had well enough funds when the bill was paid so that wasn’t the issue. The money was never taken, called Duke back. Explained that to them that it wasn’t an insufficient funds and they pretty much told me they didn’t know what happened that I must have Mistyped my bank account information which couldn’t of happened due to that fact I had the numbers in front of my face while typing it in and instead of them fixing the issue I was told if I didn’t pay my lights would be shut off so I’m starting to see that this is how Duke gets their money by scamming people!!! So upset!!!

Original review: July 21, 2021

Every time I call and ask to speak to an actual customer service representative about my power bill or energy needs, they are very rude to me. I’ve had at least three encounters where the person on the other end was incredibly rude, unhelpful, and they seem to be so miserable with their lives that they enjoy the power trips they go on over the phone instead of being considerate and helpful. I guess people who have no power in life work for power company customer service so they can go on sad pathetic little power trips. It’s honestly disgusting how many rude encounters I’ve had and I’m so tired of this company I want to find another power company because of it even though my father worked for this company for over 25 years before he retired. I absolutely hate how they treat people.

Original review: July 19, 2021

Another tree goes down then another power power failure. Maybe you should be working on trimming trees near electrical wires all year long. Your job is not a part time sunny weather job. Trees near electrical should be taken down or trimmed all year long!!

Original review: June 18, 2021

Processing error on 5-24-21. Payment deducted 4 times. A refund would take 5-6 weeks so per the advice of web support I had my bank reverse the 3 unauthorized deductions and it has gone down hill from there, I have spent over 12 hour on phone calls over the last 3 weeks trying to get my bill corrected and the my pay online reinstated. As of today the billing is fine but I have worked all week on the on getting the pay online reinstated. I have even had a call tell me all is corrected. It is not. It always takes a couple of days for corrections to process. Duke Energy has removed posting from their website and they are not responding to the chat line. Very unprofessional. Everyone has been pleasant but that has not corrected the issue.

Original review: May 19, 2021

Customer service is difficult to reach and every representative tells you something different. Block out several hours of your time just to get service started... Need to repeat all your information again and again. They also dump coal ash in public waterways. How is this company still in business?

Original review: May 3, 2021

I signed up for the heating and cooling repair plan with Duke Energy. I made sure and went over the plan details and what was covered. I made sure to write down all details as well. You know you are always worried about your systems and what would be covered. They have 2 plans heating repair and heating and cooling a difference of $10 for peace of mind. I went over everything on the plan, the representative told me repair or replacement of up to $5000 would be covered and I would pay for labor. How could this not be a good deal?

I will tell you how - my heat went out. Called for a repair the appointment was within a reasonable time. The repair guy came, checked over my system and told me someone would call me with an estimate. Right there I had a feeling this was not going to go well, boy was I right. No one called, I had to call them and ask about the repair. WOW was I surprised at what they told, which was COMPLETELY different than speaking with representative. Pretty much nothing on the unit is covered and they pay 15% of the labor costs. Which in my case was $330 and the customer part is $5200. Are you kidding??

The representative told me I could use my manufacturer's warranty as well. IF I HAD A WARRANTY WHY WOULD I NEED YOU! Please don't get fooled by Duke Energy like I did! Have Duke Energy Send you in writing what is covered before you sign up for the plan, then you can get the correct information and be careful on that as well, the summary is ambiguous!

Original review: April 5, 2021

I wish regulatory authority bound them to make changes in services with specific given time with proper communication. Generally people responding to service are rude, overworked and lack understanding. There is no choice of other power generation company otherwise Duke energy would have long been out of business. I could rate them below zero.

Original review: March 31, 2021

Duke Energy, North Carolina, has a broken automated phone payment system. I prompted the automatic system to take a full payment for my bill. At the end it said I owed eight dollars which was incorrect, since my balance should be zero. The next day I called Duke to make sure the bill was paid. A week later I received a statement from Duke energy that they’re charging me because my first payment was rejected. My bank did not reject any payment, but their broken system would not process the info I gave it. I called Duke to fight their charge for their broken system and they refused to credit my account. Again the greedy get greedier and greedier and find ways to rip off customers. Unfortunately we have no other choice it’s the only electric company in the area. Go figure they do whatever they want. And get away with it. Obviously I won’t use their broken phone system again. And I think they have a lot of nerve charging me for their crap service.

Resolution response: Feb. 12, 2021

I called and they have said that the email was incorrect. (It was a Duke energy email address so I do not understand that rationale.) But that email was not the correct procedure to cancel. I am still extremely dissatisfied with my experience with customer service. That is why I am retaining my opinion/review.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I regret my decision to use Duke Energy. I was greeted rudely by a manager when I was speaking about a bill. I sent over an email to demonstrate that I had cancelled service before they, in fact, "cancelled" my service. They said they could not "find" the email. Solution? I forwarded them the email. The manager then said she would call me back. I did not receive a call for a week and a half. I called Duke Energy back. Apparently the manager had wrote "It will stay there for 7 Years " as a cheeky response. I wish I could say this was a one time occurrence speaking with Duke Energy. But for almost a month, the same thing happened where I was waiting by the phone to be able to speak to someone who could offer a solution.

I want to be as objective as possible, as I know some people go on here to express their personal grievances. I can honestly and unequivocally say that I regret my decision to use Duke Energy. I IMPLORE you to stay away from purchasing from them if you care about your credit or if you simply want a decent experience with customer service. If you do purchase from them (though I am not sure why you would want to walk on eggshells with a company your energy company), PLEASE BE CAREFUL and make sure to keep all accurate records with you. Good luck!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

First sign they are SCAM Artists!!! First sentence that pops up in regards to this shady company. They owe me a refund but instead of processing that refund they want me to pay money I do not owe and have reported me to the credit agency. GUESS WHAT!!! This will be one of thousands of reviews that I leave! This company is not yet authorized. See reviews below to learn more or submit your own review.

Duke Energy Company Information