Duke Energy

• 0%
  • 9%
  • 77%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?
    Staff

Reviewed June 4, 2024

It is ALWAYS the same part of Durham that loses power. I’ve never seen such disregard for people. It’s really getting old but truly I wouldn't recommend someone live here just because of how often the power goes out and for people like me that really rely on their power, this is ridiculous.

Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed June 3, 2024

It just seems like every time they update their app, my credit that I receive from North Carolina disappear a little at the time, February 2024 there was a 800 hundred dollar credit, then the app updated in April. It went to 700 hundred dollars credit, then another update on the app May. It went to 638 hundred dollars, now another update. Went to 287 dollars, I have called them several times to complain about it, they always saying it will correct the problem, well so far it hasn't corrected itself, just keep taking it away, I haven't used all that much power, maybe 250 dollars, I live by myself, I don't know what is happening.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed May 28, 2024

This company is absolute trash. I only gave them 1 star because I had to. Due to their monopoly here in North Carolina they price gouge a disgusting amount. They include several useless fees in which you receive nothing in return and their customer service is also a bag of hot garbage. If you can help it do not live in an area which you are forced into using Duke as your energy provider.

Reviewed May 22, 2024

I am very disappointed and upset with the level of customer service I received. While each representative I spoke to was pleasant and not rude, their policies and procedures desperately need updating and should be stated clearly. From the very beginning, my business partners and I were given erroneous or incomplete information regarding the proper setup of our account and the inclusion of a guarantor. The lack of communication regarding account status updates is unacceptable. I had to make numerous phone calls just to get an update on the status of a form, which is highly inefficient and frustrating.

We now find ourselves penalized for following instructions given by their representatives, with no form of customer recovery, even after speaking to a supervisor. This is such a poor first impression for new customers. Transparency is crucial for clients to make informed decisions, but it seems this is not a priority for this company. Improvements in communication and clarity of information are urgently needed.

Reviewed May 10, 2024

Duke Energy is the worst. Been without power since Wednesday 5/8 at 4 pm. I am the caregiver for my dad who is 93. They indicated they would expedite my power being off and would expedite it for my dad. Today is Friday 5/10 still NO POWER and that’s expedited wow. I called and they said I had to have medical forms on file but they did not inform me of that when I called then they said they will mail them to me. Duke Energy is the worst ever.

W

Plus the method in which they tell you to send in those medical forms is very hard to prove. I've asked directly for the form and they won't give it to me. You have to fill it out through an online portal and trust that it's getting faxed to where they say it is. I've had it sent to two different doctors offices because I'm on oxygen at night, and neither office says they have received it. Plus when you log into your Duke energy account, they've taken away my ability to ask for that facts. I can't get it submitted again.
    They send out an automated phone call at 4:00 p.m. on the day you request the medical exemption. But that doesn't mean it actually goes out. One doctor's office is being very proactive and calling them personally. I also think Duke energy Smart meters are scamming me because my usage is apparently twice what it was last year during December and january. I think it is working in an algorithm of surge pricing and marking it up as usage. It's not actual usage, it's a surge extra charge they are putting on

Reviewed May 9, 2024

Why is it that any storm that comes at my community the power always goes out. Been this way since the 1950s. Don't know if Duke realizes how much food has to be thrown away because it ruined with no electricity. I have maybe 300$ dollars worth in my freezer now. HOPE it's fixed soon or it's going to be spoiled. My mother in the 1950s and 60s an 70s has thrown away hundreds of dollars worth. Yall trim trees and still they fall on power lines. I don't have any trees. Everybody else. So here I sit, no power for almost 14 hrs. Now gotta throw everything away in my fridge. GOT A DEEP freezer. Hope it last.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed May 6, 2024

Duke Energy is by far the absolute worst energy company. They have a monopoly in NC and customers are forced to pay increased rates with horrible service and no options to use another company. It gets better, they pay the politicians to allow rate increases and these don't even go to a voting committee. They pay less for a kilowatt than what they charge so solar panels make ZERO sense if you want to sell.any back. Customer service is absolute trash and one phone call with them shows how untrained they are. They give zero incentives for trying to use less energy but ask for "donations" to help people pay for their energy bills. How about you don't charge as much and put a restriction on the people who can't pay and use all the energy. Given the chance I bet Duke energy would lose 90% of its non-commercial business.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed May 1, 2024

We have been waiting about 3 weeks for our outside light to be turned back on. When we called to start service, they claim we said we wanted to turn the outside light off. So I called to have it turned back on, it has yet to happen but they are already charging me. I NEED FOR DUKE ENERGY TO TREAT MY SERVICE LIKE THEY TREAT US AS CUSTOMERS WHEN WE ARE BEHIND…You want your money on time or our (customers) lights are disconnected instantly, NOW I WANT MY OUTSIDE LIGHT TURNED BACK ON INSTANTLY!!! This is very dangerous for me and my family because this light was put in our yard for safety! We can’t see at all until daybreak! I TRIED TO BE PATIENT BUT THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!

Reviewed April 27, 2024

I was under the impression that the Budget Billing Plan was a great idea and for a while it was very economical. Then gradually my bill kept getting higher and higher and finally I went online and opted out of the plan last month. This morning I received my bill and saw that I was charged $219.28 as a settlement for the difference in the electricity I actually used and the amount I was billed for in the months while on the plan. In the beginning I thought the plan was great as my bill was reasonable and as time went on my bill got higher and higher so I decided to opt out of the plan. I guess I did not read the fine print about what was going to occur when I stopped the plan but that will not happen again.

Reviewed April 15, 2024

Duke Energy is the most heartless organization on the planet including Hamas. They just want their money no matter what. Phone representatives are arrogant and rude. The tone of their voice projects that they relish people struggling financially. They refuse to acknowledge the state law that states you cannot disconnect power between November and March if the occupants of the residence are 65 or older. They told me that this didn't pertain to them.

Reviewed April 14, 2024

This company of power been costing people bill too up high. Without no reason cost people bill up too high monthly. The way Dukes Energy did their business. It’s bad company. One Day Dukes energy will shut down.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed April 4, 2024

Power was out. I called the power outage line. They had trucks show up super quick, found the problem and had the power back on within an hour... That's my idea of customer service and they were very nice also.

Reviewed March 31, 2024

This what happens when too much power is given to an entity. They abuse it and the entity becomes oppressive! Duke Energy must be stopped. Why I hate them beside the obvious is their brutality towards the environment primarily trees and other vegetation. Without any communication one morning they came on my property, butchered 2 evergreens and one pecan tree. Looks like a dinosaur came through now. All of this destruction which you can see everywhere Duke is continues without concern from our politicians and other powerful groups because you see, it is done in the name of the greater good! How is it the greater good when instead of good decisions they take shortcuts and destroy nature?

Reviewed March 26, 2024

Duke is a rip off, they charge you a more per kilowatt than they pay you and they won’t carry it forward so you can use it. I am a snow bird. Was told duke carries forward so I can use in January, February, March, April but that lie. They only carry until end of year and paid 100$ for over 5000 kilowatt. Big rip off. They used my power full price, gave me very little for it and won’t let me use those kilowatts.

Reviewed March 20, 2024

It took them over 7 hours to cut a tree down and restore my service. It was a planned outage, and I was given no prior warning. I lost half the things in my fridge and a day's wage since I work from home. When I walked down to see what was taking so long, they were on a break, later they were taking a break eating lunch. It should have taken half the time to complete. Just a horrible experience and sadly we have no other option for electric.

Reviewed March 17, 2024

I have had nothing but grief from this crooked company! I signed up for discounts on my bill and they gave no discount then the crooks took back what they said were overages? That’s like giving you a gift then coming back and taking it back? They are a monopoly. I live in a small town and they have a stranglehold on competition. I wish nothing but bad for this company. They probably payoff politicians to keep their hands around the necks of customers that have no other choice. They are modern day train robbers greedy thieves.

PricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed March 13, 2024

OK I got behind because of ssi, I got help to pay the bill. Well because it took one day after the date they turned around and charge late charges which then made me behind again. Before I had a change to try and stay up on my own, so I called Duke to set up payment arrangements, which I would be able to keep up but the system generated a date before people ssi check even comes in to set you up to fail. You ask them to do the pick the date. Oh you can for reg bills but not to pay a payment arrangements. This is why people are going homeless or living in the dark and here in Florida duke will not help you. Up north they will put you on a budget plan for each month so you can live and it goes by how much your bill average for 12 and so your bill each month will be lower for you . Florida is the worst for duke energy. Report them and help all of us live.

Reviewed March 9, 2024

I recently bought a property in Cincinnati and had to sign up with Duke Energy. This past month my total combined usage of gas and electric was $11.84. The bill total? $132.49. This is insane. All the rest of the $120.00+ is "fixed fees" and "riders". What a joke.

Reviewed Feb. 22, 2024

Long story short, I had Duke for 3 years and my bills fluctuated month to month even when we did nothing to change the amount of electricity we were using. Even months where our usage showed that it was lower, we still paid more and they could never tell me why. We just moved out and our last bill while living there was $150 in December 2023. Our bill for January 2024 was $300. We moved out the beginning of January but still had to pay electricity since our lease didn't end until the end of January.

No one was there to use electricity other than the apartments appliances and thermostat and our bill was double the amount from when we were living there? That's not right and they know they can get away with it since it' s the "colder months." That's always been their excuse with no further explanation. My electric bill for February so far is $65 without Duke. They will never get my business again.

Verified purchase

Reviewed Feb. 20, 2024

I have had my residential power service and one outside light with Duke Energy since we got our home in 1999. We have had both services set up on auto payment through our bank for many years. In September 2021, the auto draft for our outside light (average $10.60) stopped getting debited from our checking account. We didn't catch it until they disconnected our outside light because it was auto drafted with our checking account number which is always the same, and the small amount of $10.60 which didn't cause us to notice the discrepancy. After disconnect, I immediately contacted Duke Energy on July 31, 2023. Since then has been the biggest mess that you can ever imagine that I am still dealing with today.

I was told by a Duke Energy rep that they changed billing systems around the time that my automatic draft for my outside light stopped. Another person by my name but who is in Charlotte with a different social security number, date of birth, etc. somehow got mixed up with my home address in Duke Energy's billing, resulting in a balance that ran up to $368.91 currently. I have called 5 different times since July, been transferred to numerous people, assigned 3 different case numbers, submitted proof of payments with bank statements twice now, and have spent an average of one hour on the phone each time.

The $369.91 they claim that I owe would be equal to 34 or 35 months of the outside light service, which averages $10.60/per month. I have submitted proof that I only owe 16 months worth of service from the time their billing system stopped drafting my payment until now. That would be approximately $169.60 depending on the exact amount of the outside light, which can vary by a few cents each month. Certainly NOT $369.91 though. They are threatening to cut my service unless I pay them the amount which is NOT. WHAT. I. OWE.

Reviewed Feb. 19, 2024

If I could write this place, zero stars, I would. I called the last week of November to set up my power at my new townhouse and pay the 265 deposit which was based off of my credit which is already crazy. Then I find out they literally put in the incorrect house numbers. So I had to call back to get them to correct my address and that service rep didn’t move my payment and their system to the correct address. Instead she put me on the installment plan further deposit amount I already paid. Then I get my bill for this month. I see the monthly plan on there. I called back to get it removed. Done. That was a lie. I’ll call back and now I’m being told, "I have canceled your installment plan but you still have to pay the last payment of the installment plan because we use your 265 and applied it to your last month's bill," which is not what they were supposed to do, especially when I already paid that amount.

So basically they’re asking me to at this point double pay my bill. So instead of my budget billing keeping my bill at $83 this month I am having to pay $200. Something I was not prepared to do so thank you Duke Energy for your terrible customer service and overall service in general. I can’t wait to move out of their service area. I don’t even want to stay in the same state anymore because they’re so horrible.

Reviewed Feb. 13, 2024

Duke had sent me a text message stating they were going to do a planned outage at the property where I live. They also stated in the text that if they were unable to come for the 8-hour outage that they would let us know. No one let anyone know, including the property manager. So a lot of us had taken our food elsewhere to make sure we didn't lose it for no reason at all, because someone was inconsiderate and couldn't send a text. Now we've got another planned outage for tomorrow, I can only hope that they honor their word this time and let us know if they're not coming. If there were another electricity company I don't think Duke would be doing very good! Especially seeing some of these reviews, I don't think it's fair when a company monopolizes the area and then treats us all badly with disrespect and no consideration. Just because they know we can't go elsewhere they feel like we can be treated any way they choose to treat us, not okay!

Reviewed Feb. 3, 2024

Duke Energy, you are the worst provider of electricity on the planet, and I have lived in numerous 3rd world countries. Your company monopolizes on communities by recklessly charging whatever they want on a monthly basis without accurate readings. Disband you sketchy tyrants.

Reviewed Jan. 25, 2024

We moved to Wake County a two months ago and both months we were hit with the highest electricity bill in our lives. They are disgusting and don’t help when you ask for details on why the bill has increased. DO NOT SERVICE WITH THEM!!!

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Jan. 18, 2024

Outage on 1/17 at 1:40pm. They gave 3 different reasons/made up about the outage. This included 6 different times for service to be back..on the coldest days of the year. 30 hours later, still no service. We need an investigation for accountability.

Staff

Reviewed Jan. 18, 2024

Jan 18, 2024, these genius decided to do maintenance, or so they say! The story has changed a few times. Elderly people are in the cold no fault of their own....Duke Energy did this and it's going on 48 hours no power!! In a predominantly ** neighborhood! Food lost, next life will be lost, what the hell were you thinking!

#1. Something interfered with your equipment.
    #2. Scheduled maintenance.

#3. You were doing upgrades.

Enough with the lies, you need to reimburse any one who was w/o power at 12 midnight Jan18th, for any food they lost (I spent $600 on my elderly dad, some of it spoiled...no fault of his)! It is now Jan 19th 6:10pm and I keep moving the time, are you trying to kill people?? Fix the problem and stop lying. Durham residents deserve better!

Reviewed Jan. 12, 2024

Bought a property in Dec and still Duke is unable to start service. Even after multiple calls not a single qualified person works there. They should fire all these idiots who have no idea how to resolve turning on power to a property. I have called 3 times and all 3 time escalated to a specialist that create a ticket to get it done but nothing.

Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed Nov. 24, 2023

I am extremely disappointed with Duke Energy's customer service. Today, on November 24th, I attempted to contact them regarding an unrecognized charge on my account. According to their website, they should be open, but when I called, the operator informed me that they are closed for the holiday. The only holiday I could find for today is 'National Sardines Day.' Seriously? What kind of company closes its customer service for a day like that?

Regardless of the holiday, big or small, a reputable company should have a system in place for customers to reach representatives in case of emergencies. It's baffling that a utility company, especially one as significant as Duke Energy, would not provide any means for customers to address urgent issues. This level of unavailability is unacceptable and reflects poorly on their commitment to customer service. Disappointed and frustrated with the lack of responsiveness

Reliability

Reviewed Nov. 7, 2023

They are blocking a PRIVATE road and when I asked them to let my clients by they stated that if they didn't complete their work my power wouldn't be reliable this winter and then I wouldn't have any clients. (Pet groomer) I just asked again that they not block the road.

Reviewed Nov. 3, 2023

Power goes out at least once a week and it's always the same excuse, something impacted the line. What makes me the most angry is the fact I don't even have the option to shop elsewhere. Just stuck with the worst service ever.

Duke Energy Company Information