3.2/5 (180 ratings)

About Duke Energy

Duke Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

Duke Energy’s website is definitely the worst utility website I’ve ever had to use. It's like it was set up by a box of rocks capable of minimal sentient thought. It’s set up so poorly you aren’t even able to see your own account number which is pathetic. I tried to set up auto-pay on their website using my account but when I selected auto pay it asked me what account I’d want to use but it doesn’t provide a list of accounts to select from. No matter what I do I can’t set up auto-pay which means I need to get on the phone with a representative which takes at least 20 minutes of being put on hold and then the representative doesn’t even know how to do their job so I have to walk them through what’s wrong at least three times.

I guess I’ll keep trying until I get a hold of someone who actually knows how to do what they are paid to do but only because I have no choice because Duke is all I’ve got in this area. If anyone is reading this and they have another choice other than Duke, take that one at all costs because Duke operates just about as efficiently as a politician which is about as inefficient as anything gets.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

I was hospitalized 2.5 months. The bills continued. $173. I'm only resident. It's inappropriate. Could this be explained? Help please. I don't understand the amount for a vacant house. I'd appreciate any assistance you can give.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

Terrible service. Electricity out about once every two weeks. They real need to trim trees from power lines. I drive through the neighborhoods and see overgrown trees with branches hanging on the lines.... Terrible way to run a business.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I have multiple accounts with Duke as I own residential rentals and I rehab homes. Duke's decrepit website could not access my accounts - - the website had a window where it asked which account I wanted to access but it gave me no list. When I called I was put on hold multiple times for 27 minutes and then told to call back by the representative as she was having "computer problems". They are the most deficient utility in the billing and payment area - I wanted to set up automatic payments and they, basically, don't want your money. Incredible! This is a constant problem with Duke - I have multiple stories of how they have screwed up. I will say their field and operational people seem much, much more competent than their administrative and executive staff.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

Duke Energy does not care at all whether you have power restored, whether you get electrocuted by one of their precarious hanging cables, or whether you die of a heat stroke in mid August without any power. They of course will care if your bill is 2 days overdue. We lost power due to a summer storm two days ago. The company sent over two employees 18 hours later. They just touched a cord with a stick and made power come back, never tried to investigate any further. Despite the fact we tried to alert them the generator was buzzing and sparkling by calling their “emergency line,” nobody answered the phone.

Just 24 hours later a little rain made us lose power again. Nobody has come to check on us. The whole street is off power and they can’t even give us an estimation. We feel abandoned and frustrated. We had to throw all our frozen food away. Of course they have a special link on their website that states they will not reimburse you for any loss in food. Owning a monopoly sure gives you agency to offer a horrendous and antiquated infrastructure because there is no competitor, but it is so pathetic that we lose power at the sneeze of a mockingbird. This company needs a serious upgrade.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

Certainly the worst energy company in the United States of America, not even an underdeveloped country had such a horrible energy company. I live in Ocoee and every time there is a power outage around here, it takes them days to restore the terrible service they provide. If there's one word I can describe their service, it's **.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

Today, Aug 6th 2021 my neighbor's electric pole broke and fell on parts of a tree, scary, small fire. I called 911 and within mins fire dept. police, and Duke Energy came fast, had the situation under control. The promptness of Duke Energy and all those men worked tirelessly until they got a new pole in-ground, the old pole out and tree cut up, to watch those workers work together non-stop. And it took hours and was hot. I just want to thank them very much for the commitment to get us power. Very much appreciated.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Well let me start off by saying my experience hasn’t been the best with the bill service!!!! The customer service people are always sweet and nice on the phone but with trying to figure out billing issues I’m highly extremely frustrated with this company!!! I honestly told the last representative that I hoped for the love of God that they weren’t in my new area I’m moving to soon for light service as I never wanted to even use this company again!! Which sucks cause they’re the primary service for this area! But basically paid my bill early and on time two weeks ago. The money never came out of my account, this week I get a letter stating if I didn’t pay my bill my lights would be shut off which is odd cause I paid the bill two weeks ago!!!! So I call them. They said my check was returned.

Called the bank. I had well enough funds when the bill was paid so that wasn’t the issue. The money was never taken, called Duke back. Explained that to them that it wasn’t an insufficient funds and they pretty much told me they didn’t know what happened that I must have Mistyped my bank account information which couldn’t of happened due to that fact I had the numbers in front of my face while typing it in and instead of them fixing the issue I was told if I didn’t pay my lights would be shut off so I’m starting to see that this is how Duke gets their money by scamming people!!! So upset!!!

Original review: July 21, 2021

Every time I call and ask to speak to an actual customer service representative about my power bill or energy needs, they are very rude to me. I’ve had at least three encounters where the person on the other end was incredibly rude, unhelpful, and they seem to be so miserable with their lives that they enjoy the power trips they go on over the phone instead of being considerate and helpful. I guess people who have no power in life work for power company customer service so they can go on sad pathetic little power trips. It’s honestly disgusting how many rude encounters I’ve had and I’m so tired of this company I want to find another power company because of it even though my father worked for this company for over 25 years before he retired. I absolutely hate how they treat people.

Original review: July 19, 2021

Another tree goes down then another power power failure. Maybe you should be working on trimming trees near electrical wires all year long. Your job is not a part time sunny weather job. Trees near electrical should be taken down or trimmed all year long!!

Original review: June 18, 2021

Processing error on 5-24-21. Payment deducted 4 times. A refund would take 5-6 weeks so per the advice of web support I had my bank reverse the 3 unauthorized deductions and it has gone down hill from there, I have spent over 12 hour on phone calls over the last 3 weeks trying to get my bill corrected and the my pay online reinstated. As of today the billing is fine but I have worked all week on the on getting the pay online reinstated. I have even had a call tell me all is corrected. It is not. It always takes a couple of days for corrections to process. Duke Energy has removed posting from their website and they are not responding to the chat line. Very unprofessional. Everyone has been pleasant but that has not corrected the issue.

Original review: May 19, 2021

Customer service is difficult to reach and every representative tells you something different. Block out several hours of your time just to get service started... Need to repeat all your information again and again. They also dump coal ash in public waterways. How is this company still in business?

Original review: May 3, 2021

I signed up for the heating and cooling repair plan with Duke Energy. I made sure and went over the plan details and what was covered. I made sure to write down all details as well. You know you are always worried about your systems and what would be covered. They have 2 plans heating repair and heating and cooling a difference of $10 for peace of mind. I went over everything on the plan, the representative told me repair or replacement of up to $5000 would be covered and I would pay for labor. How could this not be a good deal?

I will tell you how - my heat went out. Called for a repair the appointment was within a reasonable time. The repair guy came, checked over my system and told me someone would call me with an estimate. Right there I had a feeling this was not going to go well, boy was I right. No one called, I had to call them and ask about the repair. WOW was I surprised at what they told, which was COMPLETELY different than speaking with representative. Pretty much nothing on the unit is covered and they pay 15% of the labor costs. Which in my case was $330 and the customer part is $5200. Are you kidding??

The representative told me I could use my manufacturer's warranty as well. IF I HAD A WARRANTY WHY WOULD I NEED YOU! Please don't get fooled by Duke Energy like I did! Have Duke Energy Send you in writing what is covered before you sign up for the plan, then you can get the correct information and be careful on that as well, the summary is ambiguous!

Original review: April 5, 2021

I wish regulatory authority bound them to make changes in services with specific given time with proper communication. Generally people responding to service are rude, overworked and lack understanding. There is no choice of other power generation company otherwise Duke energy would have long been out of business. I could rate them below zero.

Original review: March 31, 2021

Duke Energy, North Carolina, has a broken automated phone payment system. I prompted the automatic system to take a full payment for my bill. At the end it said I owed eight dollars which was incorrect, since my balance should be zero. The next day I called Duke to make sure the bill was paid. A week later I received a statement from Duke energy that they’re charging me because my first payment was rejected. My bank did not reject any payment, but their broken system would not process the info I gave it. I called Duke to fight their charge for their broken system and they refused to credit my account. Again the greedy get greedier and greedier and find ways to rip off customers. Unfortunately we have no other choice it’s the only electric company in the area. Go figure they do whatever they want. And get away with it. Obviously I won’t use their broken phone system again. And I think they have a lot of nerve charging me for their crap service.

Resolution response: Feb. 12, 2021

I called and they have said that the email was incorrect. (It was a Duke energy email address so I do not understand that rationale.) But that email was not the correct procedure to cancel. I am still extremely dissatisfied with my experience with customer service. That is why I am retaining my opinion/review.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I regret my decision to use Duke Energy. I was greeted rudely by a manager when I was speaking about a bill. I sent over an email to demonstrate that I had cancelled service before they, in fact, "cancelled" my service. They said they could not "find" the email. Solution? I forwarded them the email. The manager then said she would call me back. I did not receive a call for a week and a half. I called Duke Energy back. Apparently the manager had wrote "It will stay there for 7 Years " as a cheeky response. I wish I could say this was a one time occurrence speaking with Duke Energy. But for almost a month, the same thing happened where I was waiting by the phone to be able to speak to someone who could offer a solution.

I want to be as objective as possible, as I know some people go on here to express their personal grievances. I can honestly and unequivocally say that I regret my decision to use Duke Energy. I IMPLORE you to stay away from purchasing from them if you care about your credit or if you simply want a decent experience with customer service. If you do purchase from them (though I am not sure why you would want to walk on eggshells with a company your energy company), PLEASE BE CAREFUL and make sure to keep all accurate records with you. Good luck!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

First sign they are SCAM Artists!!! First sentence that pops up in regards to this shady company. They owe me a refund but instead of processing that refund they want me to pay money I do not owe and have reported me to the credit agency. GUESS WHAT!!! This will be one of thousands of reviews that I leave! This company is not yet authorized. See reviews below to learn more or submit your own review.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I suspect fraudulent billing on the part of Duke Energy. I was charged $160 between 12-16-2020 and 1-15-2021. My home was vacant with the thermostat set on 50 degrees and all the appliances unplugged except the refrigerator for 13 days of this billing cycle. Given the temperatures during this time frame, it doesn't make sense that I would have run up $160. That's more than my bill for Nov 16- Dec 15 ($120) during which time my house was occupied with the thermostat set at 67, using the washer and dryer, computers, televisions, lights, etc.

Duke's argument was that last year the previous owner’s bill for the same time frame was $200. That is irrelevant. Their were two occupants living in the residence at that time, compared to my December bill, when it was just me, and two weeks of that time the house was unoccupied with the thermostat set on 50. Duke’s other argument was that it’s colder in December. Yes, obviously it’s colder in December. But my thermostat was set on 50 for two weeks.

I went back and looked at the daily low temperatures from Nov 16 - Dec 15, a time period for which my bill was $120. The average difference between the daily low temperature and my thermostat setting was 26 degrees. Compare that to Dec 16 - Dec 30, when the average difference between the daily low temperature and my thermostat was 23 degrees AND the house was vacant: no laundry, lights, television, computers, cell phone charges, showers, etc. How is it possible the bill could be more ($66 vs $62 for the half-billing cycles Dec 16 – Dec 30 vs. Nov 15 – Nov 30) when the furnace ran less and the house was vacant?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

Called in on 30th to disconnect service as closing for the home is on the 2nd. I asked for disconnect like all my utilities for the 3rd. They disconnected on that day I called. When I got a text saying complete (on wrong day) I called and three hrs later and three people and wrong dept transfer they want to charge me all sorts of reconnect fees. I said, "Look on transcript of the call and verify it was Duke power mistake." Nope. Wouldn’t do it. Just said, "How would you like to pay to start your service over again." That’s it!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

Jason was professional. Diagnosed problem. It was outside of Duke Energy but he guided us in the right direction. Totally outstanding! He was professional and very knowledgeable! Good to have great people when you need them! Thank you Jason. Great job!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I've had Duke Energy for about three years now. Here in Florida we have certain issues when storms come or heavy rains. My power can go out for a little bit and come back on as soon as it goes off. The online services are always easy to reset through email. My bill is never too high but they always have payment arrangements in case it do. Very much appreciated. I'll pick this over Lakeland electric any day.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

In 48 years at this address there have been only minor outages. Maybe 4 hours max. Since Duke Energy has taken over, service has been crap! Ts ETA came with 40 mph winds and power was out 28 hours. Worker came at 3 pm to check lines out back. Said he has checked every back yard around the lake and can't find the problem. 4 hours later they're cutting trees in the dark 5 houses back at the beginning of the street. Where they'd "already checked ". Power never should have gone out in the 1st place. No power for a week from Irma a couple years back. Another week storm. God forbid we actually get hit with a hurricane! Never had issues before duke took over. Unfortunately they are the only option. Thanks for the monopoly??‍♂️

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

We lived in a 1,000 SQ foot house with all LED, updated lighting. We paid $170 a month on Budget billing (the highest our bill had ever been). After a year they claimed we owed an additional $500. This means that our electric bill each month was exceeding the budget estimate by at least $42 a month on average throughout the year. The two years leading up to this, not on Budget billing, our electric bill ranged from $115-165 based on the current season. Now, 6 months later in our new house we have been paying our current bill and paying an additional $30 towards the outstanding amount that we shouldn't owe in the first place.. They send us a notice of disconnection. Anyone else dealt with garbage like this?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

Always have trouble paying online. Today never got on. Tried two different devices. Had to call payment in. You provide electric to millions but can't make a website that works. This is not something new. Been this way for years.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

This company and customer service is absolutely awful. I went online to disconnect my service because I was moving a month later and got a confirmation of it, two months later I got a bill for the month after I moved out!! I called in and the girl promised to call me back and not charge me for the month I should not have been charged for. Well no call back so I called in later to get it taken off again, after several transfers, promised call backs that never came & HOURS on the phone I STILL have not been refunded. This is absolutely unacceptable and the worst service I have received. No one is help. Supervisors and managers are not even reliable. I cannot tell you have awful and disappointing they have been.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

I got the heating & air repair service/package through Duke Energy. I pay $16.99 a month; along with my monthly utility bill. I recently had an issue with my central air unit, I called to get someone to come out to repair my central air; it was 88 degrees that day. It was approximately 1:37pm when I called. I was told the Benchmark HAVC was the contractor and they would contact me; I waited and waited. The heat in my home became unbearable; four hours was all I could humanly handle. It was 93 degrees inside my home and I decided to call another HVAC Repair Company to come out. K & W Service & Repair of Winston-Salem came and repaired my central air at 6:35pm; it only took 17 minutes.

I called Duke Energy at 10:00pm and made a verbal-complaint. I was told that no one called, because there was No-Availability; therefore, it's possible someone would call the following day. Every month $16.99 was added to my monthly electric bill; and I paid. I am extremely angry and this is unacceptable.. I may seek legal actions....

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

My power goes out every time the wind blows it seems, sometimes there's no storms, it just goes out. Trees need to be trimmed or lines need to be buried, something needs to be done, we can't continue to throw food away. Maybe they should provide everyone with a generator if they can't fix this problem. At this point I would think the repairs are costing more than burying the lines, this is ridiculous.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Duke is replacing poles on Highway 26 Trenton Florida, 3 am smoke pouring out of my 1000 dollar generator transfer switch. One phase of Duke Energy went down to 70 volts for over a hour. The whole town of Half of the lights Trenton were blinking strobing. I got video of that as a result of that my AC unit and generator transfer switch smoked. Duke called said they would repair items. I filed a claim. Week later got a letter stating Duke is not liable for damages.. The worst electric company... Liars and billing is a rip-off, dont buy in their coverage area, class action lawsuit needed. Read their reviews. I'm just the next one who got ripped off...

Original review: July 17, 2020

Thanks for hiring Burford Tree Service. We recently had the pleasure of working with John ** and several of his team members while they were working the Fayetteville, NC area. John was great to work with and his team were courteous, professional and highly trained. It is tough work and sometimes the equipment would and other times it would not, but John kept the task together and running.

Original review: April 9, 2020

When I first heard Americans would be getting a stimulus I knew Duke Energy would want at least half. Today I opened my bill and I was correct. We experienced a power outage a few weeks back and I know there is no way I've used this much electricity but since they're a monopoly they can charge us whatever they want. Consumers struggle while we pay for Lynn Good to live her best life.

Duke Energy Company Information