2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.87/5

Duke Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I had already turned on autopay with credit cards and cable supplier. Duke was the last added for a bill on December 2nd. Having carefully checked on when payment would be taken I felt reasonably confident it would work. Double checked this morning having returned from west coast to find a red warning notice on the account. The system had totally failed. This is the first late payment I have had in 30 years. Cannot trust Duke to do this competently.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I had two homes that were under Duke Energy. I sold one and had $800 of credits from overpaying and being ahead. They took that money and turned my other home power off?!?! What sense does that make? On top of that, I just sold my other home and they won't even return my call for my credit back. I guess you should only pay what's due at the very last minute and NEVER pay ahead. They will take advantage of you for doing the right thing!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

I have been a customer of Duke Energy for six years and probably another 10 with their predecessor company Progressive Energy. Always pay my bill on time. I called to set up a second location of service and they require a new credit check. If they did not have a monopoly that forces me to use them for electric service I would take my business elsewhere. I don't mind having a credit check except for the fact that my credit has been compromised by criminals and I have intentionally frozen all three credit agencies. The worst customer service I have experienced in a very long time.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Pike apparently contracts for Duke Energy to install lines in Asheville, NC. I was told that my lines would be installed by Friday, Nov. 8th so I moved out of my current residence that day. Now it is Monday, and no power. Both I and my builder have repeatedly called the contractor for updates but no response. NONE. My son and I are so blessed to have family to live with but what if we didn't? They act like they could care less. All I would expect is for communication. This has cost me hundreds of dollars in delayed closing fees along with time spent trying to schedule appraisers, inspectors, loan closing folks, etc. Now my cats are living in a cold house with no power and the temps are expected to plummet tomorrow. Both Pike and Duke should be ashamed of this service. I would get fired if I treated my customers this way.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

How can a company charge deposits if people are already struggling to pay their normal bill? I think it’s a scam even though some say it’s allowed. I’m really confused on why a organization would want to create such a bad name for themselves. Customer service and customer needs are not put first.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Duke Energy disconnected my electric on 10/28 at 11 am. I paid the bill before 7 p.m.. I called every hour on the hour and kept being told my electric would be on momentarily. It is now 2:44 a.m.. I’m still out of power. Now at 2:47 a.m. they are saying I will be without power for another 6 hours due to the fact that energy protection doesn’t open until 8am. I have a service animal in my house as well as I have asthma.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Lived in several states and Duke Energy is by far the worst energy company I've ever had to deal with. I can't summarize 3 years of dealing with them except with this statement: they are blood suckers.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I contacted Duke today regarding new service at my apartment. I was required to pay $175.00 to start service with guarantee it will be turned on today. Once the payment was made I was required to wait up to 72 hours for a review to be conducted because there was a past due bill from the address and they needed to verify that account holder does not reside at my address. I spoke to Kelly employee number 12 and she pushed the review stating she verified he hasn't lived there since June. The service was to be connected. Instead she wanted payment for that account. I'm not authorized to even speak on the account. The review was closed stating previous account had not been resident. Still refused to clear the address.

I called back speaking to Sonja employee 11 that stated again I had to pay it. My name, address and account are cleared for service under Duke's requirements. The fact I've spent 5 hours today on the phone and still no service after stating yes I do meet requirements there's still no service. It is not at the employee's discretion to deny as long as Duke's satisfied as stated. The review was closed on the fact the address in my name with valid lease is eligible for service. The 2 employees kept me on the phone 5 hours repeating I was right but still nothing. The service is not to be personal. It's their job. The previous account holder's business being discussed is against the law but to require me to pay it is illegal and against Duke customer satisfaction guarantee.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I’ve transferred my service with Duke for years. Just called in spoke with a super friendly woman which seemed freakishly odd. She then stated I would pay 170 deposit which caught me way off guard and she quickly said not to worry since I’m “Duke preferred”. May just be $150 deposit... Um no. I already have a deposit I paid for $150 already and she then said looks good. It’s $150 and I asked her 3 times to reassure me there would be no new charge and she said there would be no worries, no charge and I’m all set...then told me just one last thing. She has to transfer me to on last person to finalize it and complete the process... "But you just said you were doing that for me. This is why I called and that is what you said you do so why does it take two people now to complete your job?"

She transferred me. Another cheerful woman answered and said, "Looking over everything you're all set." But since I’m Duke preferred I could go ahead and set up a Spectrum bundle??? What? Why am I speaking to someone about internet when I already told her I have Spectrum? She said, "No worries. I can transfer your Spectrum and lock you into a better deal." To my knowledge Spectrum does not care and will not allow existing customers to change to a lower package for nothing and she said not to worry then she asked for my social security number!!!

At this point I’m sketched all the way out. She reassured me no credit check just for verification... She then said all set and added more packages like a startup kit? I said I don’t need one. I already have one. She said no worries it’s only $10 once... Again for what? She all set also, "Let's go ahead and get you covered for lightning insurance" in case it struck and I lost all my belongings!?!? Um no thanks. She said, "Well we can at least set you up with fire protection. It’s 59 a month for peace of mind..."

Mind you I told her 5 times through this convo politely thanks but I really need to get a moving truck. They are literally waiting for me in the parking lot. She said, "Apologies. Won’t take long!!!!" 38 minutes later I finally said I have to go. She then said, "Sure just everything set. Just call Spectrum to tell them to not charge for kit?" She then said also she memo the account and I asked for her name. She said, "All set. Call Spectrum. Make sure your other account is cancelled!!!!?!" "What? You said you do that" and then she hung up.

Now I got 2 Spectrum accounts and two Duke accounts with a $150 deposit!?!!! And another bill for the other Duke account that was suppose to be closed and already paid. This has to be a joke. In total shock. Based of all these horrible comments why is someone not doing something about it!?!? Also my energy bills for a micro 1 bedroom apartment are 400$!!!!! Someone needs to go to change.org or get a lawyer because this is unjust and horrible. I will sue. This corporation needs someone to step up and I work way too hard to be having anxiety attacks and now this crap. Nope. Duke going to LEARN TODAY.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

What initially got me fed up was the fact that we've been customers for 5+ years and we were only 3 days late (For the FIRST time ever) from paying the bill and already had planned to pay it that day. So they cut off the electricity and then left a "Service termination notice" at the door step (he didn't even have the decency to hang it on the door handle like it's made for). If I could I would attach a picture of the notice because not a single word/number/amount was written on the notice so it's just completely blank with no amount due (makes you wonder did he even have the account information up or does he just drop off these slips so he could get back in his truck to text like I saw him doing before I went to work).

Then after the bill was paid and taken out of the account, the wait lasted 3 hours then I called and inquired on the status of the account and 5mins after I called the lights were turned back on. So basically what I'm saying is the employees here need work just as efficient on cutting people lights back on that paid the full balance just as quick as they disconnect the power or press a button.

Duke Energy Company Information