Welk Resort Group

Consumer Reviews

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had a very pleasant experience with our sales presentation. We attended the presentation at the Branson, Mo facility. Yes, the presentation ran a little longer than the 120 minutes they stated but a lot of that could have been our questions, breaks etc. Our salesperson, Stella, was very knowledgeable and personable. We received all we were promised and additional perks because we did wind up purchasing. We were impressed with the flexibility of using our points and the fact that we weren't locked into a specific unit at a specific time. We look forward to enjoying all the Welk facilities in the future as well as the special "getaway" trips that will come available. After arriving home we did some follow-up research that confirmed we had made the right choice.

I received a call from a Welks Resort agent to see if I wanted to come down to look at their newly renovated location at Northstar Tahoe. She said that they are no longer time shares but people can rent rooms like a hotel. I later learned that this isn't true-but was willing to see what they had to offer anyway. They were running a special if you booked a 2 hour and in addition we would get a prize package of either tickets to Vegas, Hawaii or Disneyland. I am always a bit leery of these type of deals but thought I would give it a shot. I was told I would get one of their two bedroom suites for $59 (Thurs.), $89 Friday. I would need to attend a two hour presentation at 9 am Friday. I agreed, if all else we would be getting a good deal on the rooms.

I gave them my credit card for the rooms and picked out our package (the Disney one). Well the next day I got a confirmation email. It did not list the room I received or the amount I paid. You also don't get something for nothing. The Disneyland package was a joke with extra fees and limited days. But I figured we would at least get to stay at the resort for a good price. I did call the agent back because I was concerned that the room was not listed on my confirmation. She returned my call saying that is just how they do it but that I did have a two bedroom suite at the hotel. I thought all was good until I got another call that night from the agent's supervisor saying that actually they had booked that room but the hotel told them it wasn't available.

All they had was another two bedroom with a little more room but it would be significantly more money, or they could put me up in sister hotel. At this point I was even more leery and told them to cancel everything. How shady to promise one thing and not deliver. If this is how they deal with just getting people to their presentations I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be to own one of their time shares/condos etc. Don't bother. It is not worth the hassle or the prizes that they offer. I feel like we escaped even more hassle once we got down there.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

In Aug. 2015 Welk baited us with a round trip to Hawaii for two. The place was beautiful, however the total experience has been a costly nightmare. The 90 minute presentation lasted 4 hrs. Every time we indicated we had to attend to our children, they would send someone else with another offer. Finally, the last lady we spoke to stopped trying to sell their vacation packages and switched to a point package along with the presentation Hawaii trip. We reluctantly accepted the 300,000 point package for $2650 @ $141 per month extended for 24 months. Despite immediately returning the voucher for Hawaii, we never got our paperwork back. I called and emailed Welk for months only to be given the complete runaround, then we were told that the presentation offer had expired. (How convenient)

5 months later I lost my job and business card account, I contacted Welk requesting to cancel without a refund. They not only refused but were extremely rude. I only missed 1 payment then I got another job and started sending them cashiers checks of $150 to $400 a month. After paying $1200, I tried to plan a trip, Welk declined indicating we had to pay $1450 before using any points. On several occasions, accounting contacted us indicating I owed late fees because my payments were going to the CA office (address on the invoice) not the AZ office. I refused since the payments were in Welk's possession. Confirmed through USPS Return Receipts. Nothing else was said about it. So over the next few months I paid the account off in full then booked a Palm Springs weekend trip. It was wonderful, no issues. I tried to book a 2nd trip for Cabo Sirena del Mar but was told Cabo was booked until after Memorial Day 2017.

I booked for June 2017. No problem! In April I purchased our airfare then 6 days before departure, Welk called to advise my account had been closed and the trip was being cancelled for non-payment of the $35 late fee. As I listened to all their lame excuses as to why they waited until my trip to make such a declaration, the response was it takes time to update all our files!!! I plan to let my attorney handle this one!!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had a wonderful 2 night stay here at Welk's Escondido. We had some requests for toiletries that was provided right away. The accommodation is superb with view overlooking the fish pond. We were impressed with the new gym. It has everything including sauna/spa. We are locals. We plan to come for day use of the amenities in the resort. We are proud Welk owners. We will recommend to friends and family.Thanks for a wonderful weekend!!!

I didn't feel pressured to purchase additional points but I did get to learn about the new programs. I generally avoid these meeting because of the pressure to buy more. Everyone was nice and professional. There is more focus on what the owner needs. I won't avoid these updates in the future. I got so much new information.

When I first purchased with my family I did so because it is family owned, it is for family and friends. I have not been disappointed since I purchased. You are more than just an owner, you are family. If you haven't been to Cabo, oh my gosh! I went to Cabo all by myself for the first time in 30 years. I would not hesitate to recommend any woman going down there by themselves. They will take care of you and you don't have to leave the resort! They are very friendly down there, they bring you into their home and treat you like family and friends, this is how they treat you at all the resorts, like family.

Owner Services on the phone are so professional and friendly. There is really a knack they have for helping people that have no idea what they are doing. They are so helpful on the phone, like a second pair of eyes watching out for you and reminding you of things to do with your points, like rolling them over. They have been Johnny on the spot! My owner update today was fantastic, very informational and friendly. They have been sometimes a very hard sell in the past but this one was about my needs. It was wonderful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Welk Resort Group?

My wife and I were approached at a Kings game about this timeshare opportunity at Welk Resort at Northstar Tahoe. We were promised Giants tickets and a weekend stay in Annehiem right next to Disneyland - and they delivered! We were a little leery about going to any sales pitch but we were presently surprised by our sales agent. His name was Mataiasi **, was very honest and straightforward from the beginning. He made us feel very comfortable and treated us with genuine respect- which is very rare when it comes to sales. I would highly recommend working with this company and especially working with Mataiasi. :)

Initially, I had a great experience. I was buying into the whole thing and how beneficial it could be to me. But the more we talked, the more upset I got. Somehow the information that my brother had died 5 years ago the day before had come up. The representative brought this up several times each time brought tears to my eyes and streaming down my face. I feel like he used this against me. I tried to explain that I was too emotional to make a decision that day. I asked if I could come back and at least be able to think about it. The rep was cold to me after that. I told him this in the golf cart drive and once we got to the property for the viewing, he rushed me through, stated it was his last appt of the day and that he would rather go home early. After we got back to the room, he had the manager come over to try to pressure me as well.

Once I said no, then another offer was made to me for a cheaper price and a week a year instead of the higher price and one week every other year. The yearly maintenance fee that was explained to me was changed several times throughout the presentation as well. They offered me 2 round trip tickets to Hawaii on top of the prizes that were already offered to me and at the end when I finally got them to take no for an answer the manager said to me..."well you will never get to Hawaii, I can tell you that." I was offended and disgusted with the way that they treated me. I feel like they used my emotional situation as a way to try to pressure me in to the deal. I told them I did not have $1500 to put down as a down payment, and they had me fill out an application to help me with this. Once they did this and saw that my credit was good they really put the pressure on. Two people pressuring me at one time.

I would not recommend this to anyone. I enjoyed my stay in the hotel on the property and I would more than likely return to that resort, but for the time share, it does not seem to be an up and up offer. If you can offer a better deal/program then why not offer that from the beginning? Please make sure you do not give them any information that they can use to try to manipulate you. They really played on my situation, single mom, wanting to spend vacation time with my daughter. Told me what a rip off the Disney experience was and that I could have had a way better experience with them. I personally believed my Disney experience was incredible. I just hope that others don't feel the pressure that I felt with these sales reps. I know it is their job to sell but not to make someone feel bad.

I'm an owner and very frustrated with my experience. I thought I was on a quarterly payment system for maintenance fees - I called in January to verify. I am now charged with a $135 late fee. There is no process to appeal a fee reversal despite never having any prior late fees. The owners lounge seems behind the technological times. There is no way to view your bill or sign up for quarterly payments. I was told I have to re-enroll each time my points renew by printing a form and mailing or faxing it in (not the most secure way to submit my credit card).

While the people I talked with were polite, I got the impression that my concern was not really a priority. In addition to this disappointing experience, the maintenance fees are high and go up each year, it has been extremely difficult to navigate the point system, and "owner updates" turn out to be a long sales pitch meeting. I feel as if what I was sold in the sales meeting does not match up with the experiences I have had.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I would not, nor would I ever again; refer someone to Welk Resorts for the purchase of a timeshare. It started out with a great presentation (which took about 6-7 hours total) from start to finish. That included the purchase of the timeshare. There were a few major points that we discovered were just morally wrong and misleading about what was said in the presentation versus what was true in reality.

1) That it was a great investment. It's not. In the 4 years and $14,000 plus dollars we've paid to Welk so far, we have been able to use it twice. Each new property that Welk acquires, the "points" needed to get a time slot for that area is so high, what you purchased seems to diminish in value. You end up needing "more" points.

2) Interest Rates. We were told during our presentation that you can refinance a timeshare. You cannot. You can get a loan from another lender, pay off your Welk Balance and pay the lender but you cannot refinance the loan. Welks Interest rates are outrageous and they keep going up. 3) Annual Dues aka: Maintenance Payments - We were told that our payment would be a certain amount. What they don't tell you is that they can be raised every year without telling you. Ours was supposed to be about 1000 a year based on the plan we owned. In the last 2 years, they have raised it by almost 30%.

4) Once you're in, you can't get out without suffering the consequences of hurting your credit for at least 7 years. Welk will not work with you, they will not offer you a buyout, you cannot offer it back to them (we tried), they will not help you in anyway financially. They will not help you with the 15+ percent interest rate. Nope, and once you start to dispute with them, the "collections staff" are rude, have insulted my pregnant wife calling her dumb, unintelligent, and irresponsible; the only happiness and pleasant experience you will get from them is if you are paying them on time. If you're not paying them or are in dispute... good luck. And yes, they actually said those things to her on the phone.

5) Every "owners update" meetings we went to, they made attempts to "hard sell us" in purchasing more points or to get a credit card. Why couldn't they just be updates, I don't know. You would think that paying Welk over $8,000 a year would buy you some stellar customer service and awesome. 6) There are so many "restrictions" on what you can use your points on and time limits and slots, it almost makes it exhausting at times trying to book anything. 7) We were told that Timeshares are tax deductible just like a regular mortgage. They are not; we checked with 2 different certified tax professionals in the State of California.

8) During the presentation at the Escondido location, they told my wife and I in multiple occasions that they own the land that the resort is built on and because of that, there's no "mortgage payment". I say that loosely as I'm not familiar with the exact terminology. They also told us that because of it, that they can be more profitable allowing more opportunity and cost reduction to their points owners. However, we have seen an increase in Annual dues, removal of non-resident privileges for the pool and fitness center, increase in interest rates and increase in points needed for the "newer" properties.

We have tried to play nice with Welk. We tried to amicably resolve our disputes with them but we have discovered that the 5+ people we have spoken to about our complaints and problems have basically (but indirectly) said, "you are screwed. You signed the contract, you are screwed and there's no way out." To my knowledge, Welk will not hold their employees accountable for misleading statements and false reports in their sales presentations and they will defend these falsities to the death.

Sorry, I wish I had better things to say. Had Welk truly and properly acknowledged our complaints and offered us a way out, I would not be writing this. They chose not to. Let me make one thing clear, we signed the contract, we made that mistake but I pray that you don't. Don't sign it until you fully understand what you are signing. You are locking yourself into it permanently.

The "Time Share" experience is worse than a car sales man. If you are unfortunate enough to buy - they forget to mention that each year you are Paying a Maintenance fee that GOES UP every year. This amount for me in Escondido/San Diego was $800 5 years ago. Now in 2017 it's over $1k. If you cannot pay for this outright (no loan) then you shouldn't be buying!!! I have used my timeshare exchange (1) ONCE in all this time with over $25k invested. =( Anyone who wants to buy is only willing to offer me $2,000. I wish I had someone that could have advised me before making such a HUGE mistake.

I'm so glad I found this website so I can tell everyone our experience last year! The "90 minute" presentation turned out to be a 3 hour ordeal. Nice tour of the facilities which were attractive and nice. Presentation itself was professional and no hard sell. It's just over 3 hours for everything. But the worse was the free stuff: We chose the "Free" Southern California Package, how can that get screwed up, right? We had no idea that we would have to pay $100 fee to stay at some local motel that you could not use on a Friday night or a Saturday night (so we couldn't take our kids because of school)--and had to plan minimum 4 months in advance as I recall.

The "Free" tablet had to pay $35 for shipping, which I found the exact same generic Chinese Android tablet on Amazon and it cost--$30 (free shipping)! It was run by a 3rd party company with bad complaints, so we never used any of the "free" gifts. Waste of 4 hours of my life (including round-trip driving). At least the coffee/soda/snacks were good!

I buy one full week at the San Diego location. When they show the resort it was nice but we didn't buy because we own already other timeshare. So I ask if there was a way to pay to stay before we buy. You know what the sales guy said? It’s only today price so we talk to his manager and he sell us one week for $3000.00 7 days. He said, "If you guys buy, we credit back the money to your down payment." I said, “Ok no problem.” When I went to check in, they talk me. “You are staying in the new building.“ So we was very happy on ‘til I hear my son yelling to his brother. The brother open the restroom because didn’t lock so we start to argue but when I check the door, the door was no locking and many other things didn't like. All doors don’t lock. No privacy. Shower drain problems. Sink faucet (lose almost falling). Stove (broken door falling). No tv and internet for all day.

We are staying two weeks at the Welk Palm Desert Oasis, in Cathedral City. This is our first visit to Palm Springs. Of course, we attended the (obligatory) sales presentation. Our presenter/sales woman, Thea **, was totally awesome. Thea was knowledgeable about the Welk products and upcoming changes. Thea was also very knowledgeable of the sites and things to do in the area. Thank you Thea ** and the Welk group.

We are staying at the Welk Resort in the original villas, they are beautiful, spacious and relaxing. We enjoy our time here. Our rep at the Owner update was really good this time, she was very informative and nice - much better than other experiences we have had in the past!

We really like Welk Resorts! It is one of the better places in town that we like to stay, especially the Mountains Villas, and we often bring people with us when we stay. The Owner Update was good, a little long but Kaiann was awesome, loved her personality and appreciate the information. Thank you!

Pedro was our tour host. He was informative and fun to talk to. He had a lot of stories to share and he was very personable. We really enjoyed him. Other than him, I know that everyone has their job to do but the other guy that came to the table was very persistent, at least he kept it short. I don't want to bring up my financial status every time I say no.

This was our first presentation so this (presentation experience) was unexpected. Our agent was nice, but the person who signed us up told us it was only a tour of the resort. We didn't know that we would be asked to buy today. Our agent worked hard and was informative and really nice.

Today's presentation went well. Brian was our host and he was very good. The experience was pleasant and he did a very good job telling us about the property and showing us around. This was just not for us today.

It (the presentation) ran longer than we were told which is inconvenient because we had other plans. Everything was great. It's just not what we were looking for. The agent was informative and personable, very professional. The area is nice.

I felt the information was presented in a clear way. Facilities were very nice and the Welk's representative was very friendly and informative. I did feel a lot of pressure to purchase by 5 different representatives which we did not enjoy.

Elizabeth was a very kind and professional lady. She was informative and answered all of our questions. We learned a lot about the program and what Welk Resorts has to offer. Overall everything was well and it was a good experience.

We had Leonardo and he was awesome. He is definitely a people person and good for this company. Everything was beautiful, everything was great. Everyone was very nice. Pola was amazing. She definitely kept you entertained. I've done presentations before where you are basically falling asleep but she kept you entertained.

Everything the agent said was very clear, very informative and she was very accommodating. We are not making a purchase today, if we did it would have been a five (star rating). Diedra was good; she was very nice.

Rolando was fantastic; he was professional and amicable. He was absolutely wonderful. He kept asking us "What can I do for you?" He focused on us more than thinking about himself. Everyone was very nice and I will definitely be recommending Welk Resorts to my friends.

On a scale of 1 to 5, I give it a ten. Hortencia was absolutely wonderful. She was very informative and answered all of our questions about the company. I would definitely recommend this to my friends in the future.

The person should have been more informed about why we were here. We were told that we were here for something specific. There was no communication from Welk's part. We've been having great communication with Beth, she is the one that I book with. I have been getting calls from Grace to do a meeting which we finally came to. We went to Tahoe but our baby couldn't go to Tahoe to tour so we came here. The whole program is very much like, ok, you're going to stay at Welk resorts. We only have access to Leisure time Passport, so we need to think about is this something that we want? Are we going to use this to travel and trade in the future? Would like better clarification about the program because we thought we were just going to talk about our impression today.

Factual basis uncertain

The San Diego resort itself is quite nice and they maintain it well. The timeshare people are quite pushy and over the top. The presentation book has mention of 2 resorts to open in the near future. Hawaii to open in 2016 and Breckinridge in spring 2017. We swapped into Lake Tahoe and had a great experience. The timeshare dept there told us no Hawaii now and Breckinridge had slipped to 2019. Over the last 2 months we have called 5 times to use the balance of our points and have emailed once . No one calls back! Just dishonest people selling timeshares. They should not even mention dates on future resorts. The owner should close the dept and start over, they have beautiful resorts but terrible sales departments.

Factual basis uncertain

BUYERS BEWARE!! Unfortunately we were scammed into buying into this time share and it has proven to be the biggest mistake of our lives! I am writing this review and will be writing similar reviews on every social media website I can to try and warn people to stay as far away from ownership in Welk Resorts as possible. We bought our first timeshare last November after being promised the moon from the sales people and unfortunately (as it so often does) it was too good to be true. There were far too many promises they were unable to deliver on to actually list them here. And today is the pinnacle of our experience with Welk Resorts. We have paid every single payment on time as well as our maintenance fees on time until last month and we have been HOUNDED by rude and intrusive associates since.

Today I received another call from a lady named Tina that works at their San Diego office and her customer service was so deplorable we are contacting an attorney to proceed foreclose on this property. She was above and beyond rude! My husband has already made payment arrangements for the late payment and she threatened me with collections and when I asked about having to possibly foreclose with the assistance of an attorney she stated that we should be paying our payments on time and not wasting our money on attorneys and that if we would pay our payments on time then we shouldn't need an attorney.

Again I'm stating that this type of customer service is what we now expect from Welk Resorts after being LATE, not missing, LATE on a single payment. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do yourselves a favor and if you are considering buying into this timeshare DO NOT fall for their schemes and save yourself a lot of money and headaches!!

1st 5 years no problem. This trip room poorly cleaned. Dripping on 8 floor tile. Reported and place paper with arrow on one tile to show location. They only cleaned the one tile. Rest very obvious. They didn't clean sticky stain on fridge and dishwasher. We finally cleaned them ourselves. Front desk called to follow up. We told them what was not done and they wanted us to in to listen to a timeshare trade. Granite counter joint 1/16 inch off. Place not being taken care of. Emphasis solely on selling timeshare trades. Sadly, we won't back.

The tour... Great. The resort... Awesome! The sales tactics... Below bottom basement, psychological stunts that are worse than police tactics to get someone to admit to a crime he/she did not commit. For that reason, I gave them 3-stars. In other words it's a mixed review. So, the sales people start off right at the time of the 90 minutes it's suppose to take to claim. They are going to get your gifts. This takes up to about 3 hours of you saying no, or them saying yes, but they want you to sign a real estate contract without having any period to think about it and give them about $2090 downpayment right now.

Oh yeah, and if your credit is less than perfect, that down payment goes up about $1000.00. They don't tell you that until you look at the contract and notice a change. Now, they are slick. They do have a great resort... But the sales tactics really keep you in there for 5.5-6.00 hours. I missed a visit with my husband's mother who has terminal cancer, and we told them that, we miss our dinner date, and we told them that. Then we went outside, waited in line in the cold when some woman who works there and drives a white car comes past my husband and I, goes to the front of the line, literally looks my husband up & down, and we sit at the back of the go-cart in the dark, in the cold... Wow! I thought, "how rude..." But I laughed!

How can they allow such arrogance in a place like this? If only she knew that look was a testament to the place. In other words if she works there with that attitude and behavior, she ain't the only one. This happened Saturday evening 10/15/2016 about 6:40 pm. She was dropped off to her white car. I believe it was a four door and she had long dark colored hair. She also had like a briefcase with wheels.

Welk Resort Group Company Profile