2.91/5
Based on 107 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Welk Resorts is a dynamic, growing, and respected leader in the vacation ownership industry. Independently owned and operated, Welk Resorts has built a foundation of innovation and hospitality.

With six luxury resorts across five sought-after vacation destinations in the U.S. and Mexico, all properties have earned top exchange marks from Interval International and RCI. Each Welk property is carefully designed with the needs of our Owners and guests in mind to provide unique, first-class accommodations and experiences.

ABBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 5, 2018

141 Welk Resort Group Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 5, 2018

These are a bunch of fraud guys calling out everyone to offer something for free. But there are no free lunches in life. They will try to sell membership to you and be very very rude if don't buy it. They track the personal information before contacting you. So they know you more than you think they know. My suggestion is don't get into talking to these people and complicate your life. You won't be getting anything for free! Even if you get these trip coupons to Hawaii, Las Vegas you won't be able to use it. They will try to sell you and ask for your credit card number on the phone.

Get expert buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Lawrence Welk would be so disappointed and embarrassed to know how his business office is being run. We received a letter that our annual maintenance was not paid on time. We pay all our bills on time and expected the statement, since the fees differ each time due it increases. We were forced to pay $126 late fee. For being a month late. WE know the mail was not delivered, but they refused to acknowledge their error. So we figured it was a fluke, lost in the mail. Now I learn OTHER owners had the same story and are being shaken down by the billing dept. at Welk. I would appreciate knowing if anyone knows of a consumer agency is investigating this practice by Welk Resorts. Please let us know if we can join a class action suit. I can't believe any reputable business destroying its reputation over these fees if they want to stay in business. If they go bankrupt, will we all lose our "investment"?

Original review: March 23, 2018

Welk call agents are extremely unprofessional. It is truly sad and frustrating to deal with rude and incapable call agents like Welk's. Welk, please properly train your young consumer call agents so that they will be up to par with professional standards.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I wish I could give zero stars. Absolutely the worst decision EVER made to get involved with Welk! They messed up my roommate's account, and then locked it so no payments could be made! They NEVER answer the phone so it could be resolved. And now, somehow, the loan is on my credit!! I was never on the loan, therefore, I am not responsible!!! Do not do business with this company! They are sketchy and just do bad business.

Original review: March 14, 2018

THIS IS A REVIEW ABOUT THE PRESENTATION, WE DID NOT PURCHASE - My boyfriend and I got approached at a Los Angeles Kings game about winning a free trip to Hawaii, free wine tasting, a Google tablet etc. for attending an hour and a half presentation. I knew that this was a timeshare presentation but knew that we could get some free stuff out of it.

I knew going in I wouldn’t be interested in a timeshare but I was curious. First off, the whole thing took 4 hours. After leaving the presentation my boyfriend and I just kept pointing out how misleading and predatory their sales pitch was. If you are thinking of going be aware of the following things ahead of time: They mention in the middle of the presentation before they talk to you about any other pricing that there is a VOA fee of either $1000 or $1500 a year. They mention it early in hopes you forget about it when they show you other pricing at the end of the presentation. Keep in mind this is charged EVERY YEAR even after your timeshare is paid off.

They will emphasize the pricing that they are showing you is only some small amount such as $33,000, $15,000 or $12,000 over the course of 10 years. What they fail to emphasize is the 15% APR that they charge on your monthly payments which quickly skyrockets this price to an insane amount. So something that they claim is only $15,000 (which will get you one week a year in a one bedroom facility) is actually $15,000 x 15% APR = $2,250/year or $22,500 over the course of a 10 year payment plan. $1000 VOA fees a year which adds up to $10,000 over the course of 10 years. There are only 6 Welk resorts and the benefit is really access to a ton of other resorts through RCI. If you want to stay at any of those resorts there is a $249 transfer fee for each week.

There are additional fees at the resort for their activities and amenities. So the total over 10 years is really more like: $15,000 + $22,500 + $10,000 = $47,500. EVEN if you pay up front and don’t incur the $22,500 in APR fees you are still spending $25,000 over 10 years for one week of vacation a year. Doesn’t seem like such a good deal anymore does it? That means you pay nearly $50k over 10 years to take one week of vacation a year. And keep in mind this doesn’t include airfare, food, activity costs or anything else. This is just the cost of having a place to stay for one week a year.

They like to sell you on the idea that you are an “owner” but really you don’t own anything because you are not gaining any of the profit they make from getting people to sign on to this ridiculous deal, you are just paying out a ton of money. So don’t be fooled by friendly agents. Your first agent might be friendly but we had a somewhat demeaning second salesperson who tried to push us after we said it's not for us. Obviously it did not work.

Also I can’t verify this but they left out a speaker with the tablet they gave the presentation out as my boyfriend and I had some time to talk while they pulled together a new offer for us. I really feel like it was a listening device because we were discussing how insane the 15% APR was and he immediately came back and said “Now I know you guys are concerned about this APR…” Very weird.

We have not booked our free trip to Hawaii yet but I imagine it will be a headache to go through the travel agency to do it. It's also only for two days so we are thinking of supplementing it with one-way flights to extend the trip. The “free tablet” we were promised was actually a voucher to get a tablet worth about $50. But the catch is we have to send in a registration and a check for $30 shipping and handling. I’m sure a lot of you know but after going to the presentation I felt like it was very misleading and predatory. They emphasize certain costs and de-emphasize HUGE parts of the agreement. Please run through the numbers before making a potentially damaging financial decision on spot.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Welk Resort Group?

Original review: March 8, 2018

I wish we would have been smart enough to investigate Welk Resorts before wasting 5 hours on my life. We were very upfront about not being ready to purchase. We wanted to see what they offered. The property in Escondido is beautiful. But, talk about pressure. Then after 5 hours of nonsense, your "free" trip. Yeah, not free and unable to access website after activating. Was kinda cult-ish how everyone stood up and clapped when the signed their next victim. Unscrupulous business tactics. Very concerning.

Original review: March 4, 2018

First, let me start by saying the resort itself is beautiful and the rooms are well maintained. The staff is friendly and overall there is a positive and welcoming atmosphere. However, the reason I am giving this facility one star is because I was gravely misled. My fiancé and I had purchased an audition stay at Welk Resort for $3180 and we were excited to be given the opportunity to try out their resorts before fully buying into a timeshare. We were told we would have 18 months to check out the resorts and could use the money as a down payment to purchase the timeshare. However, on our first stay at the resort in San Diego, we were told we either had to make the decision to buy the timeshare or lose 50% of the equity we put down. We were seriously considering buying a timeshare here, but after that kind of strong arming we were completely appalled. I honestly just hope they don't treat their owners like this.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I was "sold" ($40 deposit) on a 2 hour presentation on a golf cart around the resort for one night in Catalina last summer. The presentation was 1x1 at a table for nearly five hours (wasted my whole day), it included only a very brief trip on the golf cart to see one room. The voucher I received had a fake number and couldn't be registered (you only have two weeks to register it). I reached out and was given a new number. I had to select my dates within 90 days and name my guest. I had to pay for the trip (taxes) at that time. Now, over five months after that, I still hadn't heard if my dates were accepted. I reached out to Welk and got a "we'll look into it" with no further communication. The travel company they partner with still didn't reach out.

I finally heard today (less than three weeks from the 1st date and roughly 7 from the alternate) that neither date was accepted and I could pick new dates for after June 3 or "upgrade" to a trip to Mexico. If Welk can't follow through on their promises in their presentation, how could you ever expect them to deliver on their product? (By the way, the timeshare deal was an ultimatum, "right now or not at all," which isn't great financial practice, but I had no intention of ever purchasing. I'm quite glad now as I would hate to be associated with such a shady business that runs scams on a daily basis.) For those looking to visit the resort, the property and rooms seemed nice from what small bit I saw. It is quite far from San Diego proper though (~45-60 minutes), so it would really depend on what kind of San Diego vacation you wanted as to whether the resort would be a good fit for you.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Very disappointing! It’s our fault for falling for it. We were so gullible. The hopes of vacationing in beautiful resorts enticed us to buy. But we really didn’t think of how much a burden this was going to be. We’re still waiting on our exchange. Also waiting on our free Hawaii trip which is now a Mexico trip. It’s been over half a year. They are hard to get a hold of, but they will call you almost every week to sell you extra points! We haven’t even used our timeshare and we’re already $3000 into it. This is frustrating.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

My husband and I purchased a timeshare with Welk back in 2006, first with a deeded unit with Villas on the Greens, then upgraded to Mountain Villas and now am Platinum Points owner. We are seriously now considering getting rid of our ownership as they have become "money hungry" and will stop at nothing to get you to buy more points. Their Owner's Update is like trying to buy a used car. If you don't want to purchase more, they play their game of bringing their manager in from the back room to tell you how you're on the losing end if you don't buy more. They also have become affiliated with RCI who I would rate a zero on customer service and it's a total joke trying to trade through them.

My husband and I tried to get into a 1 bedroom on the Big Island when it's the lowest demand for the island, and in three weeks, RCI has contacted us by phone 8 times and 110 emails all for a 2 bedroom unit at the same resort and for the same weeks when we keep saying we only want a 1 bedroom. Very poor service and now we have become so frustrated with Welk that we want out now! Sad that even contacting Welk is of no good either, either they give you the same answer or they just don't care about owners any longer.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Do not purchase. Very high and sneaky sales tactics. Constantly trying to upgrade you when you use it. They need more money to build more. High pressure. Cannot resale or even Give away because of high maintenance fee. They will Not Buy back and contract forces it on your children which we were NOT TOLD. Automatic inheritance. Praying to get out Somehow before then so the burden does not go to them. Hard to get a hold of anyone when a problem. Unless you withhold payment. Immediate call then.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I purchased in the San Diego Resort three years ago. I have been very busy and have not used this resort; however, I decided to pay my fees online and found that it is nearly impossible to get a response from these people. I sold my RCI timeshare because the service had gotten progressively worst. I have been getting phone calls about the timeshare industry and thought that it was just another scam.

I really feel scammed by Welk. They not call back or answer emails. I am waiting on a call back now and have been waiting for three hours. I cannot get into the owners lounge to pay the fees. I finally got a woman who gave me a generic password to get into the account. Are you seriously kidding? Do you think that I am going to pay you almost two grand on a generic password. You have no password reset. This is a real ripoff. They have converted to points without telling me. They have partnered with the ripoff Queen in Indianapolis, RCI, who has partnered with Wyndamn hotels. They have colluded so that past persons cannot use their timeshare except at resorts that they have chosen. Has anyone sued these people to get their money back?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Jan 2018 it all changed for the worst! I bought my timeshare because of the value it had with Interval International. My week can be deposited into Interval International and I get two weeks! So I have used it that way and we love it! Now they changed over to RCI and my timeshare hold no value because it's on a point system! I still get an over inventory bonus week, but I am unable to book anything with my points during the time I want to go on vacation. I have 90,000 points and everything in RCI is 120,000 points, therefore I'm unable to use them for a week! I was lucky to have a Welk left in Interval from two years ago and was able to book my vacation for a full week to the same Hotel that RCI offered for 120,000 points and I couldn't use!

Weeks are better than points!!!! How can they get away with this kind of theft? I bought a diamond, only to be told I now have a CZ? I called them and no one knows how to answer my questions and how to fix the problem! They used the bait and switch and it's not good business practice! I see a Class Action soon! I understand many owners are not happy! I'd like to be a part of such a lawsuit! If anyone knows of this egregious action, please let me know!!! Stay away from Welk! Your timeshare will not be of any value! Trust me!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

When we purchased the Timeshare explorer package for $3800, they mentioned that we can transfer Welk's points to Interval Intl. But now when we are ready to use, they are pointing me to a clause in the agreement that we cannot exchange it. They have just 5 destinations and if I have to redeem those Welk points through those 5 destinations, it will be easy $500/night calculation based on what I paid. So, I got ripped off by the sales people. Stay away!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I wanted to take this moment to share my experience with you, I hope you take the time to read this review prior to attending your Welk Timeshare "presentation". My husband and I were attending a sporting event and prior to the game starting we're approached by a Welk Timeshare representative. He started off by saying, "How would you like a free vacation to Vegas?" My husband and I have 4 children between us, I assure you... A vacation for 2 sounded wonderful. We agreed to the "2 hour" presentation. After all, it's just a presentation, we weren't required to buy anything, right? Once we arrived, we received the voucher for 25.00 off a meal and 2 wine tasting vouchers. We enjoyed the sights the day and evening of our day. We got up bright and early for the "presentation". When we arrived to the directed location, we were seated for approximately 10-15 min. in a lobby type area.

When our time arrived, we were greeted by a young (30ish) man, very pleasant. We filled out a brief information packet and we BOLDLY circled that this was the very FIRST time we had been on a timeshare event. We were new to the process, we paid the $99.00 at the sporting event so we could get the free night stay in Branson and the free trip to Vegas (you only have to pay the taxes on the Vegas flight, I'll get to that later). Anyways, we listened to the presentation and looked at the 2 demo timeshare rooms they had on site, remind you this guy was very kind, understanding and so forth. When it came time and he asked, "So can we sign you up?" And we politely declined... It went down-hill from there.

We all understand body language right? He sat back in his chair, folded his arms across this chest, his smile turned into a frown. I advised him that we had some things in our lives that had changed and although we would love to able to afford the timeshare, we couldn't. I also reminded him that when we filled out the questionnaire prior to the presentation, this was our FIRST time attending a timeshare presentation. He became "curt" and stated that he needed to advise his boss of our decision. It had already been a little over the 2 hours. We waited while he retrieved his boss/finance guy. His "boss" came to the table where my husband and I were siting and proceeded to advise us the following... "We know you can afford this, we check your credit prior to your arrival".

Again, I advised him that we were unable to purchase at this time, due to some financial changes. He said "are you telling me you can't afford $13.33 a day?" I advised, "that is correct". He became demeaning, and quite frankly RUDE. With all this being said, we got out of there with the voucher for the free Las Vegas trip... We filled out the required form for the Vegas trip in the allotted time, 45 days after receipt. (Ours was mailed after 30 days). We never heard anything back. According to the instructions, we would receive a statement/bill for the taxes on the trip. We did not, I called the number on the voucher and spoke to a customer service representative, Ms. **. She said, "Our computers says that we received your vouchers that you sent, and we sent you the bill for the taxes in June and have had no response, so the voucher is no good".

Well, I advised her the following "we didn't even go to Branson for the timeshare presentation until the end of July and that's when we received our voucher. We had 45 days to return it to you, which we did after 30 days, you told me that you received our returned voucher, and that a letter was sent out to us. (Which would have been the end of September). I am calling you now to let you know we didn't receive the letter". Ms. **'s response "we sent that to you in June".

My response "we didn't even go to Branson for the timeshare presentation until the end of July, therefore we didn't even receive the free trip voucher to Vegas until then". Her response "well, it's no good". Bottom line guys, if you are going... Be prepared!!! If you think you are going for the free trip and a 2 hour timeshare presentation, it's not going to happen. For those who are going, I wish you the best. I assure you, this experience has turned me SOUR to the thought of ever owning a timeshare.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I was a Welk Resort member for 18 years. They came up with a Welk Vacation Club and told how great it will be to have instead of owning at Welk Resort. It sounded great! But it was all lies. My wife and I, she has passed away, love going there. They were some of our best vacations. I did not want to join the Vacation Club, but was talked into it. They said I could stay there for cheaper than my maintenance fees per year. I liked that so joined. Now after I got it, "Nope, sorry you can not stay here anymore." This is a scam and they lie just to get your money. Be very aware.

Original review: July 11, 2017

My husband and I visited the resort on a tour June 16th, 2017. We were happy with the rep that was providing us with the tour as well and the options offered to us for vacations. When we did not want to purchase the long term vacation package ownership, we were offer a short term trial membership called "Auditions." $2000.00 down and then monthly payments over the next 18 months to get 300,000 points to be used at their resorts over the next 18 months. Excited for the potential vacations that we would be able to take we signed up. Well when a financial issue came up in our life and having a vacation plan was more of a luxury than we needed, we tried to cancel by sending the form that was in the contract that was provided to us. We are not homeowners and this was all a new process to us. We live by humble means.

The rep stated on the 16th that our contract would go to underwriting and that once it was funded then our package would be sent out to us. When we had to make the choice to cancel we read the contract so that we could see how we needed to take care of canceling the membership. In the contract there was a form that need to be sent via fax or US Mail and we signed it on June 25th. 2017 and tried to send the form, only to get an error message saying the fax had "No Answer." After 4 failed attempts we decided that we would try again in the morning thinking that they must not have the fax machine up due to it being a Sunday.

So we tried again to send the fax on June 26th, 2017 again to only be told "No Answer." I then contacted the number that was on the front of the folder of our contract and advised the rep that the number that we were given was giving us an error message and that we wanted to make sure that the form was sent. I was placed on hold and was given another number to try to send the form and it worked on the first try. I figured that I would hear back from someone, but gave it the day and called again on June 27th, 2017 just to confirm the form was received and that our cancellation was being processed. I then was told that it was being reviewed and that I should be getting a call shortly.

I have called everyday from June 26th to July 11th, 2017 and I have spoke to a dozen people to only be told that my account was being reviewed and that I would get an answer soon. Now we are going to be filing bankruptcy and I wanted to get this taken care of prior to filing but I guess this is going to have to be included. I can not believe that a business built on the values of its namesake could treat people like this especially when they are trying to do everything right. I am reviewing this business only to hope that there is resolve for myself and my family as well that if someone else reviews this that they spare themselves the headache.

Original review: July 4, 2017

I went only for my free gifts with no thoughts of purchasing in mind! Promised two tickets to Hawaii with round trip air and accommodation, a 500 dollar gift card for spending, and two tickets to Magic Mountain in exchange for my 120 minutes of time. My husband and I arrived at 0900 and left at 1420. Our tour guide (sales rep) was wonderful telling us his whole life story, in hopes we would spill our hearts out. (DID NOT HAPPEN).

The inventory manager tried the same pitch, showing us pictures of his family and kids at the resorts... Another sales tactic! We are a family of 4. We were offered the basic; we would end up paying over $400 a month for 10 years and over $1000 in Vacation fees a year for LIFE. We politely declined only to have the inventory manager, sales rep and some other guy who I didn't catch his name return one by one to make further attempts. Worse than a car salesmen! If you go: Don't let them waste your time with chit chat. Get in and out! Buy if 1 week of vacation a year at 400 a month is good for you! The resort is beautiful and well taken care of. I have yet to book the flight to Hawaii but will write an update on that experience as well.

Original review: June 27, 2017

My husband and I were approached at a baseball game and decided what could be so bad about it. We take the option of 3 days in Mexico if we sit through the "Timeshare" offer. They say it isn't a timeshare but that is exactly what it is. It was only supposed to be 90 minute, it was 4 hours of harassment and degrading comments.

I was trying to stay friendly but the smug little man trying to sell to us was condescending and rude. The offer almost sounded good but his attitude when we asked too many questions was so bad I just couldn't be nice any longer. The stay was fun, rooms were very pretty. The place was nice but not a lot of things to do for a family with young children. Not worth the price and the fees were crazy.

The worst part was when we decided this wasn't the deal for us they continue to send other people over, offer more "trips" and even say condescending rude comments about being bad parents and spending our money frivolously, trying to either guilt you into paying or trying to get your ego. In the end we still spend over $200 just to stay the night up there since the restaurants were pricey and the closest place off the resort was 45 minutes away.

Also we went on off season and everything on the resort was closed or not working. Plus, the Mexico trip we were supposed to get just for going has yet to be given. We had to pay$300 for supposed taxes and they have declined our dates 4 times and it's been well over a year and we are still waiting for this Mexico trip... Plus it turns out it is a mid week, Tuesday -Thursday trip that only gives one full day since the flights are late on Tuesday and leave early on Thursday and again we paid the $300 upfront to book and they still HAVE NOT BOOKED the trip going on 16 months out.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I received a call from a Welks Resort agent to see if I wanted to come down to look at their newly renovated location at Northstar Tahoe. She said that they are no longer time shares but people can rent rooms like a hotel. I later learned that this isn't true-but was willing to see what they had to offer anyway. They were running a special if you booked a 2 hour and in addition we would get a prize package of either tickets to Vegas, Hawaii or Disneyland. I am always a bit leery of these type of deals but thought I would give it a shot. I was told I would get one of their two bedroom suites for $59 (Thurs.), $89 Friday. I would need to attend a two hour presentation at 9 am Friday. I agreed, if all else we would be getting a good deal on the rooms.

I gave them my credit card for the rooms and picked out our package (the Disney one). Well the next day I got a confirmation email. It did not list the room I received or the amount I paid. You also don't get something for nothing. The Disneyland package was a joke with extra fees and limited days. But I figured we would at least get to stay at the resort for a good price. I did call the agent back because I was concerned that the room was not listed on my confirmation. She returned my call saying that is just how they do it but that I did have a two bedroom suite at the hotel. I thought all was good until I got another call that night from the agent's supervisor saying that actually they had booked that room but the hotel told them it wasn't available.

All they had was another two bedroom with a little more room but it would be significantly more money, or they could put me up in sister hotel. At this point I was even more leery and told them to cancel everything. How shady to promise one thing and not deliver. If this is how they deal with just getting people to their presentations I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be to own one of their time shares/condos etc. Don't bother. It is not worth the hassle or the prizes that they offer. I feel like we escaped even more hassle once we got down there.

Original review: May 31, 2017

In Aug. 2015 Welk baited us with a round trip to Hawaii for two. The place was beautiful, however the total experience has been a costly nightmare. The 90 minute presentation lasted 4 hrs. Every time we indicated we had to attend to our children, they would send someone else with another offer. Finally, the last lady we spoke to stopped trying to sell their vacation packages and switched to a point package along with the presentation Hawaii trip. We reluctantly accepted the 300,000 point package for $2650 @ $141 per month extended for 24 months. Despite immediately returning the voucher for Hawaii, we never got our paperwork back. I called and emailed Welk for months only to be given the complete runaround, then we were told that the presentation offer had expired. (How convenient)

5 months later I lost my job and business card account, I contacted Welk requesting to cancel without a refund. They not only refused but were extremely rude. I only missed 1 payment then I got another job and started sending them cashiers checks of $150 to $400 a month. After paying $1200, I tried to plan a trip, Welk declined indicating we had to pay $1450 before using any points. On several occasions, accounting contacted us indicating I owed late fees because my payments were going to the CA office (address on the invoice) not the AZ office. I refused since the payments were in Welk's possession. Confirmed through USPS Return Receipts. Nothing else was said about it. So over the next few months I paid the account off in full then booked a Palm Springs weekend trip. It was wonderful, no issues. I tried to book a 2nd trip for Cabo Sirena del Mar but was told Cabo was booked until after Memorial Day 2017.

I booked for June 2017. No problem! In April I purchased our airfare then 6 days before departure, Welk called to advise my account had been closed and the trip was being cancelled for non-payment of the $35 late fee. As I listened to all their lame excuses as to why they waited until my trip to make such a declaration, the response was it takes time to update all our files!!! I plan to let my attorney handle this one!!!

Original review: May 29, 2017

We had a wonderful 2 night stay here at Welk's Escondido. We had some requests for toiletries that was provided right away. The accommodation is superb with view overlooking the fish pond. We were impressed with the new gym. It has everything including sauna/spa. We are locals. We plan to come for day use of the amenities in the resort. We are proud Welk owners. We will recommend to friends and family.Thanks for a wonderful weekend!!!

Original review: May 9, 2017

I didn't feel pressured to purchase additional points but I did get to learn about the new programs. I generally avoid these meeting because of the pressure to buy more. Everyone was nice and professional. There is more focus on what the owner needs. I won't avoid these updates in the future. I got so much new information.

Original review: March 19, 2017

My wife and I were approached at a Kings game about this timeshare opportunity at Welk Resort at Northstar Tahoe. We were promised Giants tickets and a weekend stay in Annehiem right next to Disneyland - and they delivered! We were a little leery about going to any sales pitch but we were presently surprised by our sales agent. His name was Mataiasi **, was very honest and straightforward from the beginning. He made us feel very comfortable and treated us with genuine respect- which is very rare when it comes to sales. I would highly recommend working with this company and especially working with Mataiasi. :)

Original review: March 6, 2017

Initially, I had a great experience. I was buying into the whole thing and how beneficial it could be to me. But the more we talked, the more upset I got. Somehow the information that my brother had died 5 years ago the day before had come up. The representative brought this up several times each time brought tears to my eyes and streaming down my face. I feel like he used this against me. I tried to explain that I was too emotional to make a decision that day. I asked if I could come back and at least be able to think about it. The rep was cold to me after that. I told him this in the golf cart drive and once we got to the property for the viewing, he rushed me through, stated it was his last appt of the day and that he would rather go home early. After we got back to the room, he had the manager come over to try to pressure me as well.

Once I said no, then another offer was made to me for a cheaper price and a week a year instead of the higher price and one week every other year. The yearly maintenance fee that was explained to me was changed several times throughout the presentation as well. They offered me 2 round trip tickets to Hawaii on top of the prizes that were already offered to me and at the end when I finally got them to take no for an answer the manager said to me..."well you will never get to Hawaii, I can tell you that." I was offended and disgusted with the way that they treated me. I feel like they used my emotional situation as a way to try to pressure me in to the deal. I told them I did not have $1500 to put down as a down payment, and they had me fill out an application to help me with this. Once they did this and saw that my credit was good they really put the pressure on. Two people pressuring me at one time.

I would not recommend this to anyone. I enjoyed my stay in the hotel on the property and I would more than likely return to that resort, but for the time share, it does not seem to be an up and up offer. If you can offer a better deal/program then why not offer that from the beginning? Please make sure you do not give them any information that they can use to try to manipulate you. They really played on my situation, single mom, wanting to spend vacation time with my daughter. Told me what a rip off the Disney experience was and that I could have had a way better experience with them. I personally believed my Disney experience was incredible. I just hope that others don't feel the pressure that I felt with these sales reps. I know it is their job to sell but not to make someone feel bad.

Original review: March 2, 2017

I'm an owner and very frustrated with my experience. I thought I was on a quarterly payment system for maintenance fees - I called in January to verify. I am now charged with a $135 late fee. There is no process to appeal a fee reversal despite never having any prior late fees. The owners lounge seems behind the technological times. There is no way to view your bill or sign up for quarterly payments. I was told I have to re-enroll each time my points renew by printing a form and mailing or faxing it in (not the most secure way to submit my credit card).

While the people I talked with were polite, I got the impression that my concern was not really a priority. In addition to this disappointing experience, the maintenance fees are high and go up each year, it has been extremely difficult to navigate the point system, and "owner updates" turn out to be a long sales pitch meeting. I feel as if what I was sold in the sales meeting does not match up with the experiences I have had.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

I would not, nor would I ever again; refer someone to Welk Resorts for the purchase of a timeshare. It started out with a great presentation (which took about 6-7 hours total) from start to finish. That included the purchase of the timeshare. There were a few major points that we discovered were just morally wrong and misleading about what was said in the presentation versus what was true in reality.

1) That it was a great investment. It's not. In the 4 years and $14,000 plus dollars we've paid to Welk so far, we have been able to use it twice. Each new property that Welk acquires, the "points" needed to get a time slot for that area is so high, what you purchased seems to diminish in value. You end up needing "more" points.

2) Interest Rates. We were told during our presentation that you can refinance a timeshare. You cannot. You can get a loan from another lender, pay off your Welk Balance and pay the lender but you cannot refinance the loan. Welks Interest rates are outrageous and they keep going up. 3) Annual Dues aka: Maintenance Payments - We were told that our payment would be a certain amount. What they don't tell you is that they can be raised every year without telling you. Ours was supposed to be about 1000 a year based on the plan we owned. In the last 2 years, they have raised it by almost 30%.

4) Once you're in, you can't get out without suffering the consequences of hurting your credit for at least 7 years. Welk will not work with you, they will not offer you a buyout, you cannot offer it back to them (we tried), they will not help you in anyway financially. They will not help you with the 15+ percent interest rate. Nope, and once you start to dispute with them, the "collections staff" are rude, have insulted my pregnant wife calling her dumb, unintelligent, and irresponsible; the only happiness and pleasant experience you will get from them is if you are paying them on time. If you're not paying them or are in dispute... good luck. And yes, they actually said those things to her on the phone.

5) Every "owners update" meetings we went to, they made attempts to "hard sell us" in purchasing more points or to get a credit card. Why couldn't they just be updates, I don't know. You would think that paying Welk over $8,000 a year would buy you some stellar customer service and awesome. 6) There are so many "restrictions" on what you can use your points on and time limits and slots, it almost makes it exhausting at times trying to book anything. 7) We were told that Timeshares are tax deductible just like a regular mortgage. They are not; we checked with 2 different certified tax professionals in the State of California.

8) During the presentation at the Escondido location, they told my wife and I in multiple occasions that they own the land that the resort is built on and because of that, there's no "mortgage payment". I say that loosely as I'm not familiar with the exact terminology. They also told us that because of it, that they can be more profitable allowing more opportunity and cost reduction to their points owners. However, we have seen an increase in Annual dues, removal of non-resident privileges for the pool and fitness center, increase in interest rates and increase in points needed for the "newer" properties.

We have tried to play nice with Welk. We tried to amicably resolve our disputes with them but we have discovered that the 5+ people we have spoken to about our complaints and problems have basically (but indirectly) said, "you are screwed. You signed the contract, you are screwed and there's no way out." To my knowledge, Welk will not hold their employees accountable for misleading statements and false reports in their sales presentations and they will defend these falsities to the death.

Sorry, I wish I had better things to say. Had Welk truly and properly acknowledged our complaints and offered us a way out, I would not be writing this. They chose not to. Let me make one thing clear, we signed the contract, we made that mistake but I pray that you don't. Don't sign it until you fully understand what you are signing. You are locking yourself into it permanently.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

The "Time Share" experience is worse than a car sales man. If you are unfortunate enough to buy - they forget to mention that each year you are Paying a Maintenance fee that GOES UP every year. This amount for me in Escondido/San Diego was $800 5 years ago. Now in 2017 it's over $1k. If you cannot pay for this outright (no loan) then you shouldn't be buying!!! I have used my timeshare exchange (1) ONCE in all this time with over $25k invested. =( Anyone who wants to buy is only willing to offer me $2,000. I wish I had someone that could have advised me before making such a HUGE mistake.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

I'm so glad I found this website so I can tell everyone our experience last year! The "90 minute" presentation turned out to be a 3 hour ordeal. Nice tour of the facilities which were attractive and nice. Presentation itself was professional and no hard sell. It's just over 3 hours for everything. But the worse was the free stuff: We chose the "Free" Southern California Package, how can that get screwed up, right? We had no idea that we would have to pay $100 fee to stay at some local motel that you could not use on a Friday night or a Saturday night (so we couldn't take our kids because of school)--and had to plan minimum 4 months in advance as I recall.

The "Free" tablet had to pay $35 for shipping, which I found the exact same generic Chinese Android tablet on Amazon and it cost--$30 (free shipping)! It was run by a 3rd party company with bad complaints, so we never used any of the "free" gifts. Waste of 4 hours of my life (including round-trip driving). At least the coffee/soda/snacks were good!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

I buy one full week at the San Diego location. When they show the resort it was nice but we didn't buy because we own already other timeshare. So I ask if there was a way to pay to stay before we buy. You know what the sales guy said? It’s only today price so we talk to his manager and he sell us one week for $3000.00 7 days. He said, "If you guys buy, we credit back the money to your down payment." I said, “Ok no problem.” When I went to check in, they talk me. “You are staying in the new building.“ So we was very happy on ‘til I hear my son yelling to his brother. The brother open the restroom because didn’t lock so we start to argue but when I check the door, the door was no locking and many other things didn't like. All doors don’t lock. No privacy. Shower drain problems. Sink faucet (lose almost falling). Stove (broken door falling). No tv and internet for all day.

Welk Resort Group expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Welk Resorts is a company that was founded in 1964 by Lawrence Welk. The company is known for providing upscale, luxury resort and hotel accommodations, and it has properties in Escondido, Palm Springs, Cabo San Lucas and Branson.

• Selection of properties: The properties associated with the Welk Group Resorts are located in destinations known for great activities, landscapes and entertainment.

• Flexible ownership options: The company offers customers a range of ownership options, so they can choose the purchase plan that best works for their schedule and budget.

• Villa rentals: The properties that the company rents are villas, so guests have large size accommodations when they use their timeshare.

• Online fee payments: Welk Resorts offers owners the ability to easily pay their annual fees online, making the process simple and convenient.

• Platinum points program: The company has a platinum points program, which offers users the ability to take advantage of benefits the more they use their timeshare.

• Best for: Large families, people who want a luxury vacation property and young professionals with disposable income.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs