Call toll free
3.13/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Welk Resorts is a dynamic, growing, and respected leader in the vacation ownership industry. Independently owned and operated, Welk Resorts has built a foundation of innovation and hospitality.

With six luxury resorts across five sought-after vacation destinations in the U.S. and Mexico, all properties have earned top exchange marks from Interval International and RCI. Each Welk property is carefully designed with the needs of our Owners and guests in mind to provide unique, first-class accommodations and experiences.

ABBB Rating
View More View More

222 Welk Resort Group Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I decided to take my family to this resort because it's close to Legoland. My family and I were having a great time until I fell in getting out of the waterslide. There was no lifeguard or staff around to help me. I was limping with a bloody knee until I found somewhere to sit down. I left a review hoping someone would call me, but I guess I'm not important to them.

Get expert buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

We had such an incredible 3 day retreat at Welk Resorts with our leadership. We could not have asked for better accommodations. The grounds are beautiful, the staff is amazing and there are so many great perks to enjoy at this location! Thank you SO much for the opportunity for a stress-free retreat to lean into our leaders and leave feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. We would love to return next year!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

First time to attempt to use Rental of Welk resort time was failure to deliver with poor response to status calls and reports of whether the time was booked or not. Several phone calls were made with none returned - eventually an email was answered long after the designated time of rental. No mention was made to allow us to make use of our Villa time if not rented. Part of week was supposedly rented and later supposedly was cancelled. No attempt were made to keep us informed of this status, with no response to several phone messages from us. Very discouraging arrangement here was experienced with so much RED TAPE with the supposed Contract. NOT a good experience.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Customers service was extremely friendly. I had a great experience spending the weekend there. I will definitely recommend to my friends and family... the staff was very helpful... close to many cities to navigate and try new shops. The pool and the amenities were great... the presentation was not too long. They had plenty things to at the resort... and while you attend the presentation they took excellent care of my children.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Tahoe Experience - We had two two bedroom villas in July 2017. Beautiful place. I have written twice about our grandson was trapped in an elevator for 2 Plus hours. So far no response. This is not the service response from Welk that we expect nor deserve. Another time in Palm Springs we check in with our service dog and were questioned about having a service dog. We have the dog registered with the Escondido resort. I responded on our survey that we should not have been treated like this. Never got a response.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Welk Resort Group?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I find that the Welk Resort in Escondido is always clean, maintained, and has a friendly staff to assist you when needed. We always feel safe and secure and able to go anywhere on the property. Gold course is well maintained and always fun to play.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Fabulous time, can't wait to come back! The kids activities kept the little one busy all weekend with candle making, bubbles and more. The room was amazing! The bathroom had a heated floor which was fabulous in December! We couldn't ask for more.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I have just left my 10th message for a callback. I’ve never been a whole less than 15 minutes when calling. I’ve done everything on my part to set up a trip to Cabo. I started this process in October, it is now January and I still have yet to be helped out fully to set up time and dates. Again I’ve called many a times so this is not me not staying with it. When you do get in contact it’s more running around. And if you are taking the tour for the first, beautiful place but be prepared for the headache.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I have been proud to be part of Welk Resorts until the last few months. My wife and I were basically insulted when we attended an owner update at Desert Oasis in October, not by the original rep but by his "supervisor". I also feel this meeting also prompted some other issues to arise. I feel Welk Resort is attempting to re-sale old properties through schemes which are less than ethical and have overpriced their value. I will go into greater detail if someone would like to call me and at this time I am documenting all of this to send documentation to the Louisiana Attorney Generals office and the California Attorney Generals office to lodge complaints of unfair and unethical business practices.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

The resort looks pretty when we arrived. We love the flowers. Most of the items in the unit were in working order. We usually write a list of items that need attention when we leave. Checking in takes a while as there are many people coming all at once. Extra staff would be helpful. The resort provides a good list of activities for the week.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

What a terrific place... staff was very friendly, the accommodations were clean and very satisfactory, and being right there by the theater was great! The restaurant/buffet was nice, a lot of choices. It was a little hard to find, but 2 women from Wisconsin, what do you expect...haha.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I been an owner since 2016, still haven't been able to take a vacation due to them never having availability. Save your money and don't buy. I been trying to get rid of the timeshare but they avoid you and when you finally do get a person to talk to they say they can't do anything for you. I am still waiting on that Hawaii resort to be built that I was told was going to be finished by 2017. I guess it really wouldn't matter. You will be stuck with maintenance fees that go up all the time.

They will reply to this review saying. "We're sorry," and to write them so they can forward it to corporate but nothing will happen other than the same disappointment you feel when you're writing the bad review about them. I just want to get rid of this waste of money. Don't even care if you buy it back, just take it so I no longer have to pay for the maint. fees. If you can't satisfy that request then don't even message me back or reply to this post and waste my time. If I could give a zero star rating I would.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Don't bother with the FTP Vacation Voucher. I registered on time and experienced continued access issues again and again, 505 Errors until it was over the days allowed. The FTP Vacation site is a scam. I could not sign up for the promised trips.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Scam! Started at LA Zoo, the guy tells me they accommodate 6 people in a room, took all the info and when I called to book, they said, "No it doesn't, up to 5." So then he says someone else will call me to figure it out. A lady calls me back on a recorded line and she goes, "No up to 5, but you can get a second room, you have to pay for it full price," I say, "Ok let me talk to the wife and..." I get hung up on... She just hangs up me in the middle of the sentence, as I can hear her talking to someone else next to her what to tell me. This is a scam deal. All the info they gave me were wrong and misleading, DO NOT TRUST THEM.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Welk Resorts offers a travel booking agency, Experiences By Welk, for $199 a year for owners to use for all their travel arrangements. I recently had a costly experience using Experiences By Welk when I reserved a car rental on their site. When I booked the reservation it said all taxes and fees were included in the price I paid to them. But when I arrived at Thrifty car rental, they informed me that the reservation made by Experiences By Welk did not state I had paid the taxes.

As I stood at the car rental counter I called the after hours line only to reach an individual that said I did not pay the taxes. Knowing I had paid them, otherwise, the cost of the rental car would not have been worth it, as parking at my hotel is $40 a night. I asked the gentleman from Experiences By Welk to send me a copy of the invoice with a breakdown of all costs, he stated there was no such invoice that broke down the costs. So I paid the $89 a second time for taxes and went about my trip, and would deal with the situation later with Experiences By Welk.

Upon my return, I have had three different email conversations with employees at Experiences By Welk and they all refuse to give me a copy of the receipt with the costs broken down. Instead, the last employee stated he took the liberty of calling Thrify and stated they told him these were additional taxes for the rental car. So now, I have paid $190 in taxes and fees on a rental care that was only about $100. I paid Experiences By Welk $189 for the total car rental prior to my arrival.

I have no problem admitting I made a mistake if they would produce the original invoice breaking down the per day rental car price and the taxes, but they refuse to produce an invoice. In my opinion, Experiences By Welk knows they are in the wrong and that is the only reason they can't produce a receipt they owe me by law, thereby they are committing fraud. I wanted to share this with other people so they don't find themselves in the same situation, and I am interested to hear if anyone else has had a problem with this company. Also, on their website there is no way to see your original car rental contract.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

On 12/29/2018 I made a trip to the San Diego location for a presentation. Our sales rep was Joe. Joe was nice and walked us through everything, but then came the funny stuff. We said no that we aren’t in a situation to make this commitment. He then told my soon to be wife that she could apply for a Barclays card to pay $2000 in down payment. Mind you, she doesn’t even have a job. We made Joe aware of that as well. He proceeded to tell her to just write down that she makes $185k a year because they never check anyways.

Barclays denied her on the spot (we got the email from Barclays before Joe made it back to our table) and Joe comes back with a post it note that has a phone number on it. He told my fiancée that she needed to call Barclays to verify a few questions. Straight told her to lie that she is a “vet tech” and say she makes $185k a year. They still deny her. He then tells us that he will do it for $1,050 down payment. What the heck? If this was the case, why would you ruin her credit with a hard inquiry by using lies if you knew you could do it for half the price to begin with. It hasn’t been 24 hours yet and I’m going back into the office to cancel in the morning. I’ve already contacted my bank about reversing the charges and put a stop payment from any future transactions from these clowns.

Welk Resort Group response

Hi Richard, we appreciate the feedback on your tour. Please send us your tour details and contact information and this will be looked into.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I purchased my timeshare with Welk back in August 2017. After all the money spent including monthly premium & annual maintenance fees, and numerous calls/online search for availability, my family was able to stay two nights at a Welk resort by end of 2018! This was certainly not what I expected upon the time of the purchase. With a young kid whose school schedule we always need to accommodate when booking family vacation, timeshare is definitely not something we should ever, ever consider in the first place! But all these realizations came too late!

My most recent experience was a frustrated one. Had I been given better advice, I would have waited till 12/31 to roll over any remaining points to RCI. There seems to be no communication between Welk and RCI to clarify my record, which apparently have blocked me from using my points for the year. My take on this timeshare thing - if you are retired, and have unlimited free time and flexibility with schedule, that may be something to look into for the sake of their resort sites. Otherwise, I would never imagine how anyone could afford time/efforts navigating through this way, way too complicated system/process to use what they pay for.

Welk Resort Group response

Hi Jinni, we always appreciate any feedback from Owners as it truly helps us grow and improve as a company. Please send us your contact information and we will be happy to escalate this to our management team.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

We bought into one of those FREE trips to Branson to see the timeshare. We were there in August 2018. To say it is a bad deal is a gross understatement. If you get suckered into one of these deals, don't walk, RUN away. When we arrived they did not have our reservation even though it had been confirmed FIVE times including early in the same day while traveling there. Room was clean but needed some repairs. You are met with TWO signs that will just make your visit: One in the bathroom that states they have the number of towels counted and if you should not return as many as they think you have you are charged at checkout. Great way to make you feel welcome.

Then as a Diabetic I wanted to make sure there is a refrigerator, there is a BIG sign pasted on the front of what they say is a refrigerator stating it's not a refrigerator but a "temporary cooling" system. What? Took pictures of those two as I could not believe a 4 star hotel telling me this cheap hotel crap! Breakfast is not served until 7:30 if they are on time, more likely 8:00 PM and then ONLY a buffet. Same for dinner ONLY a buffet at 5:15 and they don't open for dinner until 5 PM. Neither breakfast or dinner buffets were great with lost of dirty dishes, that they blamed on an autistic boy, that's just so sad to do that. Air conditioners on ALL floors are turned off at about midnight and not turned on until 6 Am in rooms, many guests confirmed same problem when we were there. It's rated a 4 star but it's really more of a 2 star at best.

No one helps you with luggage and food is not the best. Not to mention that other than the kids pool the other pool is full of leaves and debris. Then you get the hard sell timeshare with a guy with a W (Welk) ring that is gold and many diamonds trying to push you to buy a SMALL hotel room like timeshare that is 30,00-50,00 minimum. Read the fine print for sure as MORE are returned and oh they will sell you returned units too, just don't ask to see them. When you try to use the final leg of your FREE trip (which has already cost over 150.00 BEFORE you get there) they don't honor the coupon and if you can call and write letters, it does no good, no reply and they don't care.

Suppose if you purchase one of the overpriced hotel rooms (timeshares) you get better service. We were there in the height of tourism season and hotel was less than packed, ladies at the front desk were not nice and there is HUGE emphasis on purchase. Presentation is a joke as it's high sell and lots of fine print that you are wise to read and inquire on and bank on them asking to check your credit line BEFORE you sit down to tour. Just tacky all the way around! If you want to think about it even overnight your deal is taken off the table. They work on you NOT having time to think about it! As I say RUN and take your wallet with you! If you see this FREE trip in your city, don't try it. You will regret it. Sign me as St. Louis Visitor who wasted trip to Branson!

Welk Resort Group response

Hi Nancy, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please send us a message with your tour details and contact information and our team will contact you soon.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I appreciate the customer service reps try to accommodate my needs every time I call. I also appreciate when I stay at the Welk Resort I feel valued. Treats have been left in my room. The one thing I will say that has left a bad taste in my mouth is the whole Disney relationship. I have been with Welk for over 10 years. I have been satisfied with my membership. We recently upgraded because we couldn't get access to Disney without upgrading. So we did. And now I've been trying for a year and there has never been any Disney inventory. It's not for lack of trying. I was calling every day there for a while. I feel regretful. I feel foolish and angry for upgrading when there is no Disney partnership. At least from where I'm sitting.

Welk Resort Group response

Hi Kelly, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please send us a message with your contact information and our team will reach out to you soon.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Escondido is one of my favorite places to go. The accommodations are great, everything was neat and clean and in order. There are so many things to do and everyone was very cordial. I hope to return there soon.

Welk Resort Group response

We're thrilled to hear that you love visiting our resort! From our accommodations to our staff, we're delighted you love it all.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

The room and its location was beautiful. I would love to stay again and again but the price is very high. I stayed on the ocean facing the water. That was one of my most outstanding vacation. I liked it better than New York.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I gave a low rating because I have yet to be able to use my Welk Resort points or my banked points with RCI. I have gotten the opportunity to do a owner update. That was a nice visit. It sure would be nice to actually use my points.

Welk Resort Group response

Hi Tricia, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please send us a message with your tour details and contact information and our team will contact you soon.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

5 years and have never used it - Salesperson is a liar. He lied to make a sale. Said we could claim this in our taxes. Not true. Promised us this would be worth it. We were too dumb to realize it'd only be worth it to him and the company. All the payments we're making is obviously paying for these free trips to give to other people, and their lovely salaries. They sign you up for a credit card. So credit card company bills you and then they bill you. You're late on a payment by 1 day, and they harass you and call each number 3 times each. When you contact them, they lie, and say that they only call once, and have the nerve to tell you that you are the one being rude, when they forget to put you on hold and start laughing at you, not realizing you can hear them.

They don't help people if you're having any financial issues. They just retaliate and harass you. You try to make a reservation, and dates are not available. They charge you for canceling your reservation, even though you try to cancel weeks ahead. They will lie to you just to make a sale. Especially when they see you have good credit. They don't care about people, just the money. They treat people like you're not human.

Welk Resort Group response

Hi Jamie, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please send us a message with your tour details and contact information and our team will contact you soon.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Your staff was very efficient in helping us plan for our 60th Wedding Anniversary as we selected three 2 bedroom units at Harmony Hill for June 2019 including a special dinner package at the Canyon Grill. Thanks for your help...

Welk Resort Group response

Thank you for your review, Victor! It's a pleasure to hear that our staff was able to make your experience so incredibly special. We hope to welcome you back soon. Happy anniversary!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I recently was at San Diego Welks and to my surprise, the Christmas event was setting up. My family did not get an invitation to the event. I was very discouraged! Who Hager’s the invite and who doesn’t? It was unfortunate that we did not plan ahead and could not participate.

Welk Resort Group response

Thank you for this valuable feedback, Cecilia. We will be sure to share this with our team and we hope you'll give us another opportunity to wow you in the future.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I have enjoyed my time at the Welk. However at age 69 I can no longer pay maintenance fees. I collect social security and live on a fixed income. I have been divorced from my partner who is prime member on this contract ** for seven years His name is James **. In the divorce proceedings it states he will be responsible for all on-going time-share expenses when property is paid in full, which he paid. I have the divorce papers to substantiate what he agreed on in the divorce. It has been a hardship for me to pay the fees and I would like to be removed from this contract.

Welk Resort Group response

Hi Patricia, we are disappointed to hear about your experience as an Owner with us. Please send us a message with your contact information and we will escalate this to our management team to contact you.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Once again, my time at Sirena del Mar was outstanding. Nine days went by too fast. Just not enough time to spend not only at this beautiful resort, but with the absolute best staff around, bar none. I've been visiting Sirena del Mar since it opened in 2010. From that very first visit to this day, what has set the resort apart is the staff, both hotel and sales. The kindest, most attentive, and fun loving people around. They've become more than just waiters, bartenders, concierge, bellhops, deskmen to me, they've become friends, no, my second family. You meet them once and they remember you forever. Though people have left through the years, there are those that remain, and apparently instill the values of being great workers to anyone that has come to work there. There is always a smiling face to greet you, a fun poolside game to play, a well made drink to enjoy, and delicious food to taste.

When there is an issue with the room, service is prompt and courteous. There is also little things, like using colored rice to spell out happy birthday on the bed with palm trees on each side, along with a small birthday cake decorated and left to enjoy. Priceless! The grounds are kept immaculate, the pool has an amazing view of the arch that never gets old, herbs for the kitchen are grown on the property, and with so many unswimmable beaches in and around Cabo, having its own swimmable private beach is a treat.

My only complaint used to be the distance to town, only because of the taxi prices which led me to rent cars for the last few years since it was just about the same price, but now that Uber has come to Cabo, and round trip prices to town being just over half of a one way trip with the taxis, the need to rent a car may be gone. Hopefully the resort will keep its current policy of letting the Uber drivers drive up to the lobby area. It makes things so easy. I could go on and on, but there is a reason I visit here 3 times a year, and anytime someone comes with me, they see what I see, and can't wait to come back, as did my brother after our trip last week.

Lastly, if I do have to complain, it would only be that Welk should go ahead and just finish the 4th building at the resort, especially after learning that allegedly the property in Hawaii contains ancient burial grounds, thus making it impossible so far to get any permits to do any kind of building. I met maybe half a dozen couples last week that were all current Welk owners but had never been to Cabo. They were all saying that they couldn't wait to come back. It's already getting more difficult to book time here at this resort, and with more people discovering the resort weekly, IMHO, adding the 4th building would not only relieve some of the booking congestion, but it would also generate that much more revenue a lot faster than what it would take to get anything built in Hawaii. Other than that, I've already got my next trips planned for next May, and probably October as well, when I'll be able to spend time with my family.

Welk Resort Group response

We hope you remember your recent nine days with us forever! It's great to hear that you loved our staff and service and we appreciate all of your positive and constructive input. We hope to see you again soon.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

We have never had any major issues with our visits to the Welk Resort and we do visit at least twice a year and enjoy our stays very much. My only major issue is the $4000+ I pay in Maintenance Fees which to me is extremely high.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

We really like the Welk timeshare in Branson. We were not as crazy the last time in June when we stayed as we were previously. The reason was just the handicap room was not very handicap and there wasn’t handicap parking by unit. We are happy with the actual resort and love the way the condos look. We haven’t tried any others yet except Branson.

Welk Resort Group response

Thank you for your valuable feedback, Dianne. We very much appreciate it! We hope to provide you with a perfectly seamless stay soon.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

For those of us in SCAL, Welk turns out to be a good deal. Their SCAL properties are ok, but we utilize the Tahoe and Colorado sites for skiing, and Cabo San Lucas for Spring Break trips. As their Hawaii property comes on line, it will also be a good focus for us in SCAL. I'm not sure if people who live outside of CA would find it such a good deal or not. We LOVE the Cabo and Tahoe resorts.

Welk Resort Group expert review by Lisa Ann Schreier

Welk Resorts is a company that was founded in 1964 by Lawrence Welk. The company is known for providing upscale, luxury resort and hotel accommodations, and it has properties in Escondido, Palm Springs, Cabo San Lucas and Branson.

• Selection of properties: The properties associated with the Welk Group Resorts are located in destinations known for great activities, landscapes and entertainment.

• Flexible ownership options: The company offers customers a range of ownership options, so they can choose the purchase plan that best works for their schedule and budget.

• Villa rentals: The properties that the company rents are villas, so guests have large size accommodations when they use their timeshare.

• Online fee payments: Welk Resorts offers owners the ability to easily pay their annual fees online, making the process simple and convenient.

• Platinum points program: The company has a platinum points program, which offers users the ability to take advantage of benefits the more they use their timeshare.

• Best for: Large families, people who want a luxury vacation property and young professionals with disposable income.

Profile picture of Lisa Ann Schreier
Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

Welk Resort Group Company Information