Call toll free
2.76/5
Based on 118 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Welk Resorts is a dynamic, growing, and respected leader in the vacation ownership industry. Independently owned and operated, Welk Resorts has built a foundation of innovation and hospitality.

With six luxury resorts across five sought-after vacation destinations in the U.S. and Mexico, all properties have earned top exchange marks from Interval International and RCI. Each Welk property is carefully designed with the needs of our Owners and guests in mind to provide unique, first-class accommodations and experiences.

ABBB Rating
View More View More

152 Welk Resort Group Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

This is by far the biggest waste of your day. All we received was lies upon lies. Deposit? Had to wait 3 weeks to get that back. Got an attitude from one of the managers because we declined to buy. Then someone else was sent with more charm and finesse and we decided to buy. By the way we paid in full not monthly as they advise. When you call about places there isn’t enough space available. They want you to pay more, and still do another tour. Tour lasted 4.5 hours. They say that it’ll take a week to get all your cards but that’s just so you don’t make the seven day cancellation date. PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. I learned my lesson.

Get expert buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Attended a timeshare presentation with my partner and mom in Tahoe Welk Resort. Everything went as promised. We went to some other presentations and knew what to expect. The representative Steven was very courteous, knowledgeable, attentive, polite, genuine, not pushy. Overall, the place and the people who worked there seemed very nice and personable. We were out of the place on time as promised. We received all the promised gifts as well. Very positive experience. The property was amazing!

Original review: July 26, 2018

Let me start off by saying I am being more than generous by giving the Welk Resort one star and that is for lack of another option. This organization is nothing but a fly by night scheme. They are absolutely unprofessional, lack any sort of orientation towards customer service and are fraudulent at best. The only functioning department is Collections, who will call and harass owners at all hours in order to collect fees. Outside of that you will spend hours on hold attempting to reach their “customer service” representatives, only to reach someone who merely transfers your call to a deadline.

Four years and $13000 later, we have never set foot in a Welk Resort or associated property. Their “points exchange system” lacks transparency and is designed in such a way as to discourage use with the endless variety of hoops you have to jump through. Unlike their faulty advertisement this is no way a 5 star resort. Any traveler would fare better at a Motel 6 where there are at least some standards for customer service. This organization is predatory in its business practices and once the ink is dry on the contract bleeds “owners” dry. In short, buying into a Welk Resort property is equivalent to investing in a Black Hole, with the exception that the Black Hole has scientific value at least. Buyers beware.

Original review: July 9, 2018

My husband and I recently attended a time-share presentation in Breckenridge for the new property have under construction. The entire experience was one of the most unprofessional series of events either of us has ever experienced. It is important to know that we already own one time-share in Mexico and are familiar with the ins and outs of this type of property ownership.

We attended a festival event in Breckenridge and learned about the time-share opportunity there. The marketing staff explained that they would take a $50 deposit on our credit card, which Welk Resorts would "refund the second you walk in the door". When we arrived at the Preview Center, we checked in and sat in the lobby. We wanted to see if what the marketing person told us was true, so we asked the receptionist about our refund. She said we would get that at the end of the presentation. The money is a non-issue for us, but the principal of the thing made a difference. That started the day off on the wrong foot.

Furthermore, the marketing team offered us “free flights and hotel” to tropical locations for agreeing to view the presentation, only to find out later that there are so many “hoops” to jump through to bring the flights to fruition, it is not worth the effort. You must travel on the dates and times the travel company determines and the trip is for 3 days and two nights. The marketing person who lured us in specifically told us we could extend our trip and still benefit from the round trip flight. This is a lie.

We met our host, Rich, and he walked us to the discussion area. The area is just numerous dining tables with four chairs around each. There is loud music playing overhead which makes it difficult to hear any of the audio content they play on their little iPads. We had looked around outside while waiting for our scheduled time. We happened upon a map on the fence showing what the property would look like upon completion. You should know that this was the only time throughout the presentation that we saw a map of the planned property. The only representation of the property was a small floor plan of the rooms around 2x2".

Our host, Rich, explained to us that he was “new” and said we were going to have fun. Rich was a nice person but he was clearly not prepared to meet with potential buyers. He mentioned several times that he had a real estate license but couldn't discuss pricing yet because he was new. My husband knew more about time-share details than Rich did.

In fact, Rich started taking notes as my husband explained things to me. He must have said more than ten times "Oh that's great information; I'm going to use that one". Rich could not tell us square footage of units. He did not know how the points rolled over from year to year. He could not explain the exchange program with RCI. He spent more time talking about the benefits of RCI (partner group) than of Welk Resorts. He asked us the same questions repeatedly, failing on numerous occasions to write down our answers. He tried to demo the owner’s portal unsuccessfully because he could not figure out the log in information.

During the entire presentation, I can only describe Rich’s actions as fumbling and confused. Our presentation duration was supposed to be 120 minutes. It began at 11:40 and we did not leave until 2:30 because Rich had to leave repeatedly to ask questions. He was unable to answer fully on his own a single question we asked. Down the street from the property, there is a large, permanent cement plant with unsightly structures and dozens of cement trucks. Since the plant is in direct line of sight from the property to the mountain views it claims as a benefit, we asked what the future plans are for that area. Neither Rich, nor the supervisor, nor the sales director could give us an answer.

The Sales Director visited briefly and seemed somewhat knowledgeable but then she handed us back to the supervisor whose name I cannot recall. The supervisor started off friendly and accommodating but the more questions we asked, the shorter and more abrupt she became. I explained that we would like to see one of the Welk properties before making a decision. She rebutted that “you can see what’s here” meaning the Preview Center which is essentially like the lobby of a hotel. She also asked why the “pictures were not enough”.

The points they wanted us to buy for a "two bedroom" (240,000 points for $33,000 over 10 years) we found out were not even enough for a week at the very resort we had the presentation. One week in a one bedroom was 300,000 points. Absolutely ridiculous. This does not include the roughly $1200 per year "maintenance" fee that you must pay regardless of staying or not. At that point, we politely declined the offer and watched as she became visibly angry and rude. We left shortly thereafter but only after telling two more people we were not interested.

Do not visit this property or any of the other Welk Resort properties to consider a time share. Read the reviews and do your homework. This is the worst customer experience we can recall having. It makes sense why their reviews are as follows: Overall Satisfaction Rating out of 114 reviews: 5 stars - 45, 4 stars - 3, 3 stars - 3, 2 stars - 9, 1 stars - 54.

Original review: July 7, 2018

We were invited to a 90 minute presentation. We begin in Oct 2016, I believe our presentation started between 11:00am, and 1:00P.M., when we left (although we told them time-and-time) we weren’t interested and wanted to leave immediately, they’d just send another manager out. The last so-called manager ended up selling us something like a trial, the way he presented this trial was that we could go anywhere in the world, as long as we paid 1/2 of the $3500, and that we could use that as a down payment towards a full timeshare if we liked the places we visited. First let me start by saying, I paid monthly and timely until almost the end when I found out they were full of **.

Basically we only had 18 months to use it, and that all around the world narrowed down to 7 places, most of them right here in U.S.A and one of them the so-called San Diego destination is 15 minutes away from us. But just as they pressured us into buying after that 5-6 hours we were there at the first presentation, they also pressured us into choosing quickly one of those 7 places to stay, so we decided right around Christmas 2017 to visit their San Diego spot, which is really like Escondido or Fallbrook areas. We called and complained while we were there because all the activities they said they had were all broken down, closed or just plain ole non-existent. So, we really just wasted our points there.

By the way, the first place I wanted to go when she “serpents” called in March of 2017 I said “Hawaii” she told me that destination would not be available until around October so call back to schedule then, it really wasn’t until that time I found out there was only 7 places we could go in this package. Now, we’ve wasted money big time because I think at least four of the choices are California destinations and one in Branson Mo, and only one out of the country... Mexico. Now I told Serwen, "It's it kind of funny you guys got Mexico on the sent people to place and the United States are advising people not to go there?" She ignored me and said, “one of her friends just went, and she had fun.” While I’m thinking a whole family just went and never returned.

Welk Resort are scammers. Their presentation is something else, and they take you so far away from your car that they have to pick you up and drive you to the place they hold these presentations. So, there is no way you're going to just walk out, especially when it's uphill and you 48 and hot flashing every second. So, my husband and I sit there for hours trying to get out and ended up buying that trial and got had. By the way, the last six months I’d been thinking about suing them so I paid late a few times. In April we got a bill with a balance of $198.00 so I sent $210 and I look at my credit report. They claiming I have $8.00 past due. So now that they’ve taken us through all this, there is NO doubt in my mind I am calling my attorney to get a suit in because these people are frauds.

So, I call my friend and ask her if she wanted to try out this resort in Florida for $99.00 if we go to a presentation, because I’m thinking not everybody is like Welk Resort, she says, "Heck no... That’s Welk, we just sued them last year for the same thing and I do think I told you about it." I didn’t remember, but now I have a witness that these people are pure frauds and we can’t allow them to keep doing this right in my neighborhood. This audition package is a fraud, they kept us there almost 6 hours after we said no at least 20 times, we told them, "If you don’t get me out of here I’m going to scream," then as you say that they’ll go get someone who’s suppose to be leading you out the door who is really just trying to sell you again. Welk Resort doesn’t deserve any stars, all inclusive trips are way better and they are hassle free.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Welk Resort Group?

Original review: July 5, 2018

As with so many other reviews I've read... The Welk Financial Dept is the worst I've ever dealt with. They did a major update to their computer files... around April-May 2018. During this time my quarterly maintenance due were to be paid by April. After verifying our credit card payment WERE collected... they somehow thought were delinquent and sent our account to Blackwell Collections. After threatening phone calls and numerous letters to the effect they would sent our info to the credit rating bureaus. We proved to them that we were not past due. They did agree and have sent the account paperwork back to Welk... to whom we will be dealing with... maybe even legal action.

Original review: June 26, 2018

DON’T DO IT. The presentation does not take 2 hours- it was 3 1/2. They told us we have to select 2 dates to get the free trip to HI and they’ll let us know 10 days before the first date we selected if we’re going those days or the next we selected. WELL- THAT'S A LIE. They called and said we don’t get either date and we have to choose 2 new dates that are 1 month before our “free trip” expires. I’m sure they would have done the same with these dates too. We didn’t even try because when the lady found out that our 2 babies (both under two) were going to stay in the room with us, she said they were going to charge us extra for the room. There are many others problems with had with them, it would take too much time to write about them all. They did everything they could to get us to cancel and they won.

Original review: June 5, 2018

My head is still spinning. I'm convinced that the "host" that gave us our tour/sales pitch is mentally ill and basically pure evil. Even though I knew better, against my better judgment, I signed up for the preview tour (at a kiosk at the LA Zoo), where they try to sell you in their timeshare. I read these reviews ahead of time, so I had an idea what to expect, however I have to say, the behavior of the "host" was so much worse than I could have ever expected. Ok, so here's how it works.... They tell you that you don't have to buy anything, all you have to do is show up for a 120 minute presentation, and then you pick your free gifts (trip to Hawaii, San Francisco, Catalina, etc., As well as other things such as free wine tasting at a Temecula winery). If you have kids they have a kids' club which is basically a room where your kids can hang out and watch a movie or do crafts while supervised of course.

When I called to confirm I was coming I was told that the kids' club had a climbing wall. That was a total lie. So, we showed up, our host came to meet us, and we dropped our kids at the kids' club. We went upstairs to the sales room, which is a very crowded loud room with a bunch of tables. First thing our host (whose name was Mimi BTW) does is try to get us to agree to more than 120 min (saying, "I'd you have any questions etc., it will go over the 120 min"). We politely stated that we had two young children that we had promised would only have to spend two hours in that room. She immediately got hostile and tried to pressure us, and said something along the lines of "so you guys aren't really interested". I firmly stated that we were told two hours was what was expected of us and that is what we were willing to give. She accepted that and started her presentation.

Let me just say, she was a horrible salesperson. She did nothing to make the "opportunity" seem the least bit enticing. Anyway, we sat through her spiel, did the brief tour on the golf cart, and came back to the sales room. At this point it was past 120 minutes. We made it pretty clear that we weren't going to buy, and that we needed to get our kids (I had been communicating with my 10 year old daughter by text, and she said she was getting a headache from a little kid there that was crying and was very eager to be picked up. We told this to Mimi several times). So, time's up, we told her we wanted to get our kids and leave... and here is where her true evil psycho colors began to show. As I said it was well past the 120 min at this point and she knew exactly how eager we were to get our kids. She said she just needed a manager to come over to sign off on our paperwork so that we could get our free gifts.

She walked off to get said manager, and disappeared for about 10 min, then she came back saying this manager still wasn't available. Then she'd walk away, come back after a while and say that she got one signature but still needed another, oh and guess what "you know how I said I was new here, well there's some stuff I forgot to go over". She said this in such a blatantly sarcastic way that it was obvious she was trying to ** with us. She knew we were getting impatient and she basically started antagonizing us, saying "well why did you even come here." My husband and I were absolutely appalled at the way she acted. She became absolutely overtly hostile. All we said is that we really needed to get our kids, and she started saying "wow, I've never experienced this before" acting like we were being unreasonable and belligerent. It was absolutely bizarre.

My husband and I looked at each other, like is this seriously happening? You wouldn't believe the things she was saying to us, like implying that if we didn't buy in, we were breaking promises to our kids and our family would fall apart. What kind of nutcase would that work on? She thought she had us over a barrel, and that we would just eventually walk away without our "gifts" and the $50 deposit. When I again said I needed to get my kids, she said in the snottiest most sarcastic way possible "oh yeah, don't forget your kids". I looked at her and said "you're a mother (she had mentioned her 3 boys, who I feel terrible for since their mother is a psychopath, multiple times), do you feel good about yourself".

She just rolled her eyes at me. Well, my husband and I aren't idiots (she actually tried to throw my husband's PhD back in his face, as if he was being an elitist or something when he said absolutely NOTHING condescending), and I'm not one to take ** lying down... so, I made a scene. I warned her first, but I don't think she believed me. I went around to several other tables where these pitches were happening and told the people they were being scammed and they shouldn't expect anything, loudly saying that this was a scam. I then decided that it was most important to get my kids. As we were walking out, I came across a man with a name tag. I asked him if he was a manager, and said I wanted to speak to a manager. I was clearly up in arms. I went to get the kids while my husband waited for the manager.

Well, we actually got what we were promised (only time will tell if the Hawaii voucher works, but I can tell you that the wine tasting voucher did work). I ran back upstairs because I needed to see this woman's face one more time and tell her what I thought. She was being talked to by a couple of other people possibly managers) and looked like she might cry. I told her managers that we were treated in an abhorrent way and they needed to train her better. They politely apologized and escorted me out to quiet me as quickly as possible. Wow, that's about all I can say. Unbelievable experience. So, if you go for this presentation, mentally prepare yourself for guerilla warfare.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Over 13 months to get the timeshares purchased back that Lawrence Welk Resorts confirmed would only take a few months. Still not done, they had enough audacity to charge late fees when we have been waiting months for closure. This despite their office confirming just pay the taxes and that's it. Do yourself a favor before spending money on deeded timeshares read the fine print. Also, call the resort and plan on holding forever. Leave a voicemail, no callback. I went to a local attorney's office and he called and was on hold for over 60 minutes then got disconnected. Their phone and customer service doesn't even rank on the radar. As someone else posted Lawerence Welk would fire every one of them and send apology letters to the pigeons that bought into the timeshares. Go to Craigslist and book your trip, there are hundreds daily trying to have people use their weeks to cover the maintenance fees that have increased 50% in 8 years.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Was an auditions member and made the mistake of becoming a member. I've had issue with Welk reservations before but now I'm just over them. They are charging me a late fee of $140 for a statement that I never received. Yet, they'll pretty much tell you it's their problem and will refuse to waive late fees. According to "upper management" they are NOT to waive anyone's late fee ever. What kind of customer service are they. Never mind the huge interest charge there is on payments. This company doesn't care about their members. They're out to get you in any which way they can. I regret purchasing from them. Don't bother with them. It's not worth the hassle... oh and by the way good luck trying to get a reservation. You're better off going with Expedia!

Original review: April 22, 2018

I normally don't write reviews, especially negative reviews, but I feel strongly that the public should not spend money on buying into Welk timeshare. We bought a 3 bedroom timeshare and spent well over $20,000. From the beginning, we've been given the constant run-around, been told erroneous info, and were made promises of that Welk has never kept. First, we were told how easy it would be for my family to trade our time with other companies in order to go to Hawaii and the Bahamas. This was a complete lie. I've discussed this many times with supervisors and various people in the Welk chain-of-command and I was told every time that Welk had a problem with the people selling the time and making false promises. It is true, I have never been able to get the places in Hawaii or the Bahamas that I wanted, even to this date.

Second, I tried to use our time at the Welk resorts only to find that they are constantly booked and impossible to reserve. Lastly, I have been waiting over a month for a supervisor at Welk to call me back about a cruise exchange that I attempted to do, but wasn't told I couldn't do. I wanted to take my family on a cruise and was told to exchange my Welk time to Interval. I called Welk and told them what I wanted to do. I then found out that Welk made a general exchange and not a cruise exchange. I called Welk to fix this mistake and was told that a supervisor would need to hear the phone recording to verify that I requested a cruise exchange. I was never called back by a supervisor so I called again. Same response, same promise to have a supervisor call, no call.

I called again and was told the same thing and was now told that there are few supervisors and that I should feel sorry for them. I told the lady that I paid over $20,000 for my timeshare and under no circumstances do I feel sorry for anyone at Welk. I asked for a supervisor to do their job, check the phone recording and to call me. To this day...nothing!! Please don't waste your money on Welk. If it was only once bad incident, I would totally overlook it. But for over 4 years now I have had nothing but massive problems. Pick any other company, just don't pick Welk.

Original review: April 5, 2018

These are a bunch of fraud guys calling out everyone to offer something for free. But there are no free lunches in life. They will try to sell membership to you and be very very rude if don't buy it. They track the personal information before contacting you. So they know you more than you think they know. My suggestion is don't get into talking to these people and complicate your life. You won't be getting anything for free! Even if you get these trip coupons to Hawaii, Las Vegas you won't be able to use it. They will try to sell you and ask for your credit card number on the phone.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Lawrence Welk would be so disappointed and embarrassed to know how his business office is being run. We received a letter that our annual maintenance was not paid on time. We pay all our bills on time and expected the statement, since the fees differ each time due it increases. We were forced to pay $126 late fee. For being a month late. WE know the mail was not delivered, but they refused to acknowledge their error. So we figured it was a fluke, lost in the mail. Now I learn OTHER owners had the same story and are being shaken down by the billing dept. at Welk. I would appreciate knowing if anyone knows of a consumer agency is investigating this practice by Welk Resorts. Please let us know if we can join a class action suit. I can't believe any reputable business destroying its reputation over these fees if they want to stay in business. If they go bankrupt, will we all lose our "investment"?

Original review: March 23, 2018

Welk call agents are extremely unprofessional. It is truly sad and frustrating to deal with rude and incapable call agents like Welk's. Welk, please properly train your young consumer call agents so that they will be up to par with professional standards.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I wish I could give zero stars. Absolutely the worst decision EVER made to get involved with Welk! They messed up my roommate's account, and then locked it so no payments could be made! They NEVER answer the phone so it could be resolved. And now, somehow, the loan is on my credit!! I was never on the loan, therefore, I am not responsible!!! Do not do business with this company! They are sketchy and just do bad business.

Original review: March 14, 2018

THIS IS A REVIEW ABOUT THE PRESENTATION, WE DID NOT PURCHASE - My boyfriend and I got approached at a Los Angeles Kings game about winning a free trip to Hawaii, free wine tasting, a Google tablet etc. for attending an hour and a half presentation. I knew that this was a timeshare presentation but knew that we could get some free stuff out of it.

I knew going in I wouldn’t be interested in a timeshare but I was curious. First off, the whole thing took 4 hours. After leaving the presentation my boyfriend and I just kept pointing out how misleading and predatory their sales pitch was. If you are thinking of going be aware of the following things ahead of time: They mention in the middle of the presentation before they talk to you about any other pricing that there is a VOA fee of either $1000 or $1500 a year. They mention it early in hopes you forget about it when they show you other pricing at the end of the presentation. Keep in mind this is charged EVERY YEAR even after your timeshare is paid off.

They will emphasize the pricing that they are showing you is only some small amount such as $33,000, $15,000 or $12,000 over the course of 10 years. What they fail to emphasize is the 15% APR that they charge on your monthly payments which quickly skyrockets this price to an insane amount. So something that they claim is only $15,000 (which will get you one week a year in a one bedroom facility) is actually $15,000 x 15% APR = $2,250/year or $22,500 over the course of a 10 year payment plan. $1000 VOA fees a year which adds up to $10,000 over the course of 10 years. There are only 6 Welk resorts and the benefit is really access to a ton of other resorts through RCI. If you want to stay at any of those resorts there is a $249 transfer fee for each week.

There are additional fees at the resort for their activities and amenities. So the total over 10 years is really more like: $15,000 + $22,500 + $10,000 = $47,500. EVEN if you pay up front and don’t incur the $22,500 in APR fees you are still spending $25,000 over 10 years for one week of vacation a year. Doesn’t seem like such a good deal anymore does it? That means you pay nearly $50k over 10 years to take one week of vacation a year. And keep in mind this doesn’t include airfare, food, activity costs or anything else. This is just the cost of having a place to stay for one week a year.

They like to sell you on the idea that you are an “owner” but really you don’t own anything because you are not gaining any of the profit they make from getting people to sign on to this ridiculous deal, you are just paying out a ton of money. So don’t be fooled by friendly agents. Your first agent might be friendly but we had a somewhat demeaning second salesperson who tried to push us after we said it's not for us. Obviously it did not work.

Also I can’t verify this but they left out a speaker with the tablet they gave the presentation out as my boyfriend and I had some time to talk while they pulled together a new offer for us. I really feel like it was a listening device because we were discussing how insane the 15% APR was and he immediately came back and said “Now I know you guys are concerned about this APR…” Very weird.

We have not booked our free trip to Hawaii yet but I imagine it will be a headache to go through the travel agency to do it. It's also only for two days so we are thinking of supplementing it with one-way flights to extend the trip. The “free tablet” we were promised was actually a voucher to get a tablet worth about $50. But the catch is we have to send in a registration and a check for $30 shipping and handling. I’m sure a lot of you know but after going to the presentation I felt like it was very misleading and predatory. They emphasize certain costs and de-emphasize HUGE parts of the agreement. Please run through the numbers before making a potentially damaging financial decision on spot.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I wish we would have been smart enough to investigate Welk Resorts before wasting 5 hours on my life. We were very upfront about not being ready to purchase. We wanted to see what they offered. The property in Escondido is beautiful. But, talk about pressure. Then after 5 hours of nonsense, your "free" trip. Yeah, not free and unable to access website after activating. Was kinda cult-ish how everyone stood up and clapped when the signed their next victim. Unscrupulous business tactics. Very concerning.

Original review: March 4, 2018

First, let me start by saying the resort itself is beautiful and the rooms are well maintained. The staff is friendly and overall there is a positive and welcoming atmosphere. However, the reason I am giving this facility one star is because I was gravely misled. My fiancé and I had purchased an audition stay at Welk Resort for $3180 and we were excited to be given the opportunity to try out their resorts before fully buying into a timeshare. We were told we would have 18 months to check out the resorts and could use the money as a down payment to purchase the timeshare. However, on our first stay at the resort in San Diego, we were told we either had to make the decision to buy the timeshare or lose 50% of the equity we put down. We were seriously considering buying a timeshare here, but after that kind of strong arming we were completely appalled. I honestly just hope they don't treat their owners like this.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I was "sold" ($40 deposit) on a 2 hour presentation on a golf cart around the resort for one night in Catalina last summer. The presentation was 1x1 at a table for nearly five hours (wasted my whole day), it included only a very brief trip on the golf cart to see one room. The voucher I received had a fake number and couldn't be registered (you only have two weeks to register it). I reached out and was given a new number. I had to select my dates within 90 days and name my guest. I had to pay for the trip (taxes) at that time. Now, over five months after that, I still hadn't heard if my dates were accepted. I reached out to Welk and got a "we'll look into it" with no further communication. The travel company they partner with still didn't reach out.

I finally heard today (less than three weeks from the 1st date and roughly 7 from the alternate) that neither date was accepted and I could pick new dates for after June 3 or "upgrade" to a trip to Mexico. If Welk can't follow through on their promises in their presentation, how could you ever expect them to deliver on their product? (By the way, the timeshare deal was an ultimatum, "right now or not at all," which isn't great financial practice, but I had no intention of ever purchasing. I'm quite glad now as I would hate to be associated with such a shady business that runs scams on a daily basis.) For those looking to visit the resort, the property and rooms seemed nice from what small bit I saw. It is quite far from San Diego proper though (~45-60 minutes), so it would really depend on what kind of San Diego vacation you wanted as to whether the resort would be a good fit for you.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Very disappointing! It’s our fault for falling for it. We were so gullible. The hopes of vacationing in beautiful resorts enticed us to buy. But we really didn’t think of how much a burden this was going to be. We’re still waiting on our exchange. Also waiting on our free Hawaii trip which is now a Mexico trip. It’s been over half a year. They are hard to get a hold of, but they will call you almost every week to sell you extra points! We haven’t even used our timeshare and we’re already $3000 into it. This is frustrating.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

My husband and I purchased a timeshare with Welk back in 2006, first with a deeded unit with Villas on the Greens, then upgraded to Mountain Villas and now am Platinum Points owner. We are seriously now considering getting rid of our ownership as they have become "money hungry" and will stop at nothing to get you to buy more points. Their Owner's Update is like trying to buy a used car. If you don't want to purchase more, they play their game of bringing their manager in from the back room to tell you how you're on the losing end if you don't buy more. They also have become affiliated with RCI who I would rate a zero on customer service and it's a total joke trying to trade through them.

My husband and I tried to get into a 1 bedroom on the Big Island when it's the lowest demand for the island, and in three weeks, RCI has contacted us by phone 8 times and 110 emails all for a 2 bedroom unit at the same resort and for the same weeks when we keep saying we only want a 1 bedroom. Very poor service and now we have become so frustrated with Welk that we want out now! Sad that even contacting Welk is of no good either, either they give you the same answer or they just don't care about owners any longer.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Do not purchase. Very high and sneaky sales tactics. Constantly trying to upgrade you when you use it. They need more money to build more. High pressure. Cannot resale or even Give away because of high maintenance fee. They will Not Buy back and contract forces it on your children which we were NOT TOLD. Automatic inheritance. Praying to get out Somehow before then so the burden does not go to them. Hard to get a hold of anyone when a problem. Unless you withhold payment. Immediate call then.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I purchased in the San Diego Resort three years ago. I have been very busy and have not used this resort; however, I decided to pay my fees online and found that it is nearly impossible to get a response from these people. I sold my RCI timeshare because the service had gotten progressively worst. I have been getting phone calls about the timeshare industry and thought that it was just another scam.

I really feel scammed by Welk. They not call back or answer emails. I am waiting on a call back now and have been waiting for three hours. I cannot get into the owners lounge to pay the fees. I finally got a woman who gave me a generic password to get into the account. Are you seriously kidding? Do you think that I am going to pay you almost two grand on a generic password. You have no password reset. This is a real ripoff. They have converted to points without telling me. They have partnered with the ripoff Queen in Indianapolis, RCI, who has partnered with Wyndamn hotels. They have colluded so that past persons cannot use their timeshare except at resorts that they have chosen. Has anyone sued these people to get their money back?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Jan 2018 it all changed for the worst! I bought my timeshare because of the value it had with Interval International. My week can be deposited into Interval International and I get two weeks! So I have used it that way and we love it! Now they changed over to RCI and my timeshare hold no value because it's on a point system! I still get an over inventory bonus week, but I am unable to book anything with my points during the time I want to go on vacation. I have 90,000 points and everything in RCI is 120,000 points, therefore I'm unable to use them for a week! I was lucky to have a Welk left in Interval from two years ago and was able to book my vacation for a full week to the same Hotel that RCI offered for 120,000 points and I couldn't use!

Weeks are better than points!!!! How can they get away with this kind of theft? I bought a diamond, only to be told I now have a CZ? I called them and no one knows how to answer my questions and how to fix the problem! They used the bait and switch and it's not good business practice! I see a Class Action soon! I understand many owners are not happy! I'd like to be a part of such a lawsuit! If anyone knows of this egregious action, please let me know!!! Stay away from Welk! Your timeshare will not be of any value! Trust me!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

When we purchased the Timeshare explorer package for $3800, they mentioned that we can transfer Welk's points to Interval Intl. But now when we are ready to use, they are pointing me to a clause in the agreement that we cannot exchange it. They have just 5 destinations and if I have to redeem those Welk points through those 5 destinations, it will be easy $500/night calculation based on what I paid. So, I got ripped off by the sales people. Stay away!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I wanted to take this moment to share my experience with you, I hope you take the time to read this review prior to attending your Welk Timeshare "presentation". My husband and I were attending a sporting event and prior to the game starting we're approached by a Welk Timeshare representative. He started off by saying, "How would you like a free vacation to Vegas?" My husband and I have 4 children between us, I assure you... A vacation for 2 sounded wonderful. We agreed to the "2 hour" presentation. After all, it's just a presentation, we weren't required to buy anything, right? Once we arrived, we received the voucher for 25.00 off a meal and 2 wine tasting vouchers. We enjoyed the sights the day and evening of our day. We got up bright and early for the "presentation". When we arrived to the directed location, we were seated for approximately 10-15 min. in a lobby type area.

When our time arrived, we were greeted by a young (30ish) man, very pleasant. We filled out a brief information packet and we BOLDLY circled that this was the very FIRST time we had been on a timeshare event. We were new to the process, we paid the $99.00 at the sporting event so we could get the free night stay in Branson and the free trip to Vegas (you only have to pay the taxes on the Vegas flight, I'll get to that later). Anyways, we listened to the presentation and looked at the 2 demo timeshare rooms they had on site, remind you this guy was very kind, understanding and so forth. When it came time and he asked, "So can we sign you up?" And we politely declined... It went down-hill from there.

We all understand body language right? He sat back in his chair, folded his arms across this chest, his smile turned into a frown. I advised him that we had some things in our lives that had changed and although we would love to able to afford the timeshare, we couldn't. I also reminded him that when we filled out the questionnaire prior to the presentation, this was our FIRST time attending a timeshare presentation. He became "curt" and stated that he needed to advise his boss of our decision. It had already been a little over the 2 hours. We waited while he retrieved his boss/finance guy. His "boss" came to the table where my husband and I were siting and proceeded to advise us the following... "We know you can afford this, we check your credit prior to your arrival".

Again, I advised him that we were unable to purchase at this time, due to some financial changes. He said "are you telling me you can't afford $13.33 a day?" I advised, "that is correct". He became demeaning, and quite frankly RUDE. With all this being said, we got out of there with the voucher for the free Las Vegas trip... We filled out the required form for the Vegas trip in the allotted time, 45 days after receipt. (Ours was mailed after 30 days). We never heard anything back. According to the instructions, we would receive a statement/bill for the taxes on the trip. We did not, I called the number on the voucher and spoke to a customer service representative, Ms. **. She said, "Our computers says that we received your vouchers that you sent, and we sent you the bill for the taxes in June and have had no response, so the voucher is no good".

Well, I advised her the following "we didn't even go to Branson for the timeshare presentation until the end of July and that's when we received our voucher. We had 45 days to return it to you, which we did after 30 days, you told me that you received our returned voucher, and that a letter was sent out to us. (Which would have been the end of September). I am calling you now to let you know we didn't receive the letter". Ms. **'s response "we sent that to you in June".

My response "we didn't even go to Branson for the timeshare presentation until the end of July, therefore we didn't even receive the free trip voucher to Vegas until then". Her response "well, it's no good". Bottom line guys, if you are going... Be prepared!!! If you think you are going for the free trip and a 2 hour timeshare presentation, it's not going to happen. For those who are going, I wish you the best. I assure you, this experience has turned me SOUR to the thought of ever owning a timeshare.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I was a Welk Resort member for 18 years. They came up with a Welk Vacation Club and told how great it will be to have instead of owning at Welk Resort. It sounded great! But it was all lies. My wife and I, she has passed away, love going there. They were some of our best vacations. I did not want to join the Vacation Club, but was talked into it. They said I could stay there for cheaper than my maintenance fees per year. I liked that so joined. Now after I got it, "Nope, sorry you can not stay here anymore." This is a scam and they lie just to get your money. Be very aware.

Original review: July 11, 2017

My husband and I visited the resort on a tour June 16th, 2017. We were happy with the rep that was providing us with the tour as well and the options offered to us for vacations. When we did not want to purchase the long term vacation package ownership, we were offer a short term trial membership called "Auditions." $2000.00 down and then monthly payments over the next 18 months to get 300,000 points to be used at their resorts over the next 18 months. Excited for the potential vacations that we would be able to take we signed up. Well when a financial issue came up in our life and having a vacation plan was more of a luxury than we needed, we tried to cancel by sending the form that was in the contract that was provided to us. We are not homeowners and this was all a new process to us. We live by humble means.

The rep stated on the 16th that our contract would go to underwriting and that once it was funded then our package would be sent out to us. When we had to make the choice to cancel we read the contract so that we could see how we needed to take care of canceling the membership. In the contract there was a form that need to be sent via fax or US Mail and we signed it on June 25th. 2017 and tried to send the form, only to get an error message saying the fax had "No Answer." After 4 failed attempts we decided that we would try again in the morning thinking that they must not have the fax machine up due to it being a Sunday.

So we tried again to send the fax on June 26th, 2017 again to only be told "No Answer." I then contacted the number that was on the front of the folder of our contract and advised the rep that the number that we were given was giving us an error message and that we wanted to make sure that the form was sent. I was placed on hold and was given another number to try to send the form and it worked on the first try. I figured that I would hear back from someone, but gave it the day and called again on June 27th, 2017 just to confirm the form was received and that our cancellation was being processed. I then was told that it was being reviewed and that I should be getting a call shortly.

I have called everyday from June 26th to July 11th, 2017 and I have spoke to a dozen people to only be told that my account was being reviewed and that I would get an answer soon. Now we are going to be filing bankruptcy and I wanted to get this taken care of prior to filing but I guess this is going to have to be included. I can not believe that a business built on the values of its namesake could treat people like this especially when they are trying to do everything right. I am reviewing this business only to hope that there is resolve for myself and my family as well that if someone else reviews this that they spare themselves the headache.

Original review: July 4, 2017

I went only for my free gifts with no thoughts of purchasing in mind! Promised two tickets to Hawaii with round trip air and accommodation, a 500 dollar gift card for spending, and two tickets to Magic Mountain in exchange for my 120 minutes of time. My husband and I arrived at 0900 and left at 1420. Our tour guide (sales rep) was wonderful telling us his whole life story, in hopes we would spill our hearts out. (DID NOT HAPPEN).

The inventory manager tried the same pitch, showing us pictures of his family and kids at the resorts... Another sales tactic! We are a family of 4. We were offered the basic; we would end up paying over $400 a month for 10 years and over $1000 in Vacation fees a year for LIFE. We politely declined only to have the inventory manager, sales rep and some other guy who I didn't catch his name return one by one to make further attempts. Worse than a car salesmen! If you go: Don't let them waste your time with chit chat. Get in and out! Buy if 1 week of vacation a year at 400 a month is good for you! The resort is beautiful and well taken care of. I have yet to book the flight to Hawaii but will write an update on that experience as well.

Original review: June 27, 2017

My husband and I were approached at a baseball game and decided what could be so bad about it. We take the option of 3 days in Mexico if we sit through the "Timeshare" offer. They say it isn't a timeshare but that is exactly what it is. It was only supposed to be 90 minute, it was 4 hours of harassment and degrading comments.

I was trying to stay friendly but the smug little man trying to sell to us was condescending and rude. The offer almost sounded good but his attitude when we asked too many questions was so bad I just couldn't be nice any longer. The stay was fun, rooms were very pretty. The place was nice but not a lot of things to do for a family with young children. Not worth the price and the fees were crazy.

The worst part was when we decided this wasn't the deal for us they continue to send other people over, offer more "trips" and even say condescending rude comments about being bad parents and spending our money frivolously, trying to either guilt you into paying or trying to get your ego. In the end we still spend over $200 just to stay the night up there since the restaurants were pricey and the closest place off the resort was 45 minutes away.

Also we went on off season and everything on the resort was closed or not working. Plus, the Mexico trip we were supposed to get just for going has yet to be given. We had to pay$300 for supposed taxes and they have declined our dates 4 times and it's been well over a year and we are still waiting for this Mexico trip... Plus it turns out it is a mid week, Tuesday -Thursday trip that only gives one full day since the flights are late on Tuesday and leave early on Thursday and again we paid the $300 upfront to book and they still HAVE NOT BOOKED the trip going on 16 months out.

Welk Resort Group expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Welk Resorts is a company that was founded in 1964 by Lawrence Welk. The company is known for providing upscale, luxury resort and hotel accommodations, and it has properties in Escondido, Palm Springs, Cabo San Lucas and Branson.

• Selection of properties: The properties associated with the Welk Group Resorts are located in destinations known for great activities, landscapes and entertainment.

• Flexible ownership options: The company offers customers a range of ownership options, so they can choose the purchase plan that best works for their schedule and budget.

• Villa rentals: The properties that the company rents are villas, so guests have large size accommodations when they use their timeshare.

• Online fee payments: Welk Resorts offers owners the ability to easily pay their annual fees online, making the process simple and convenient.

• Platinum points program: The company has a platinum points program, which offers users the ability to take advantage of benefits the more they use their timeshare.

• Best for: Large families, people who want a luxury vacation property and young professionals with disposable income.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

San Marcos
92069
welkresorts.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business