3.0/5 (412 ratings)

About Welk Resort Group

Welk Resorts is a dynamic, growing, and respected leader in the vacation ownership industry. Independently owned and operated, Welk Resorts has built a foundation of innovation and hospitality.

Welk Resort Group Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Welk Resort Group?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Welk Resort Group?

Original review: March 17, 2022

I could write pages about how Welk duped me, but for those of you reading this, I’ll try to keep it short. Welk has caused me an extreme amount of stress in the last 4+ years. The sales staff was not truthful when explaining timeshare ownership, because if they were, I would have walked away without ever buying one. The maintenance fees I pay continue to go up annually, which was never discussed as a possibility. This timeshare purchase was never the profitable investment that was promised, all it’s done is leave me with a HUGE debt. A debt that will never pay off even in my personal vacations.

I was lied to about resort amenities and the unit I was buying. I was promised access to the Disney Aulani resort in Hawaii and told only Welk has an arrangement with Disney. Not true. I found there was no affiliation at all. When I am actually able to make reservations, I end up paying out of pocket. If I have to pay per night, why am I throwing away so much monthly?! At every turn, Welk has been proven to be full of liars and I wish I would have never gotten in this position.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

Went for a timeshare tour. We didn’t purchase a timeshare but did decided to try their trial or whatever you call it for $1,000 and for 4 night at a Welk of choice. READ THE FINE PRINT.

1. Getting the complimentary gift is like jump through hoop. Mail something in to reserve, they mail it back and say you need a $50 deposit and missing the voucher, call Welk and get invalid number to call, on hold for 1.5 hours.

2. The $1000 4 night at Welk resort also makes you jump through hoops. Says it’s valid for 18 months but can’t book for 6 months (so 12 months). Limited availability when you do book.

Honestly just a pain. More work than we planned for. Spent hours in hold and talking to people who can’t help and ending up at square one.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

Shower gets cold after a few. People take shower. Even as the rooms are supposed to accommodate 8 people. We brought the kids for winter break and many of the recreational rooms are closed, and they still charge you a resort fee. This is not nice.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

The sales presentation promises you everything but they have come short in every way. It is hard to book anything leading me to believe they don't have enough inventory. I am usually the 30-40 customer in their queue when I call the 1 800 number. I seriously regret owning this timeshare. The funny part is that they continue offering "owner updates" with the promise to update me with current information and it is only another attempt to sell you more timeshare.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Very few things have been as promised. We find it difficult to schedule any stays. The maintenance fees have gone up $800 in 4 years! Trying to get anything done on the Experience line is impossible which is where we were suppose to get flights, cruises, hotels, etc. We were caller number 67 yesterday! Now when we try to sign in online, it says we need a new sign in number. We called RCI and we’re told Welk no longer uses them so we’ve lost 120,000 points. It feels like Welk is a scam…we knew timeshares weren’t the best investment but felt comfortable with this company. What a shame.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

I have been dealing with Welk since 2015 and it’s been a constant headache. My wife and I were lured into a presentation with free tickets to local attractions. What was supposed to take an hour of our time took all day. We dealt with multiple salespeople who claimed that Welk was a veteran-friendly company, and they love helping Veterans like us. That was an obvious tactic to make us more comfortable. They even went so far as to offer us a “deal that is reserved for Veterans only”. Between the constant contact with several salespeople, the overuse of “helping Veterans” and them not taking no for an answer, we felt extreme pressure to buy.

After finding out about all the lies that were told, it’s clear that they only care about helping themselves, not service members. They took advantage of us, just as they would any other people. We were told that we were investing in real estate, only to find out we purchased intangible points. No one mentioned we could bank points, instead they were wasted when they expired. We didn’t have enough points to go where we wanted even though the salespeople said we’d have plenty to go anywhere we desire. This is a scam, through and through. Especially if you are a service member, don’t fall for their blatant lies!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

What a joke Welk Resorts are. My husband and I could never recommend Welk to anyone after the deception and mistreatment we endured. We were approached at Six-Flags by one of their reps and were offered a free vacation to Hawaii… IF we went to their presentation. The rep said we had to leave our credit card information for the future booking as a deposit. Well, when we could not attend the presentation, they charged us $50! (This should have been the first red flag). Upon inquiring about the charge, I was told the money would be given back if we rescheduled.

From the time we entered the presentation, we were bombarded with lie after lie. We knew nothing about this product and were very hesitant. The reps prey on people like that. We reluctantly signed up for the “audition” program. After that, we booked a vacation and when we check in, a rep tells us we must go to yet another presentation or we would be FINED!!! After FIVE HOURS in this second meeting, we became full owners.

Unfortunately, nothing they told us was true. There is no cancellation option like they said there was, and the points are useless when you can never get a reservation. If you do ever get one, there’s always a mandatory meeting where the reps push you into another upgrade. This is quite a scheme they have going. It should be illegal to do business the way they do. I sincerely hope that my story saves another person from the frustration my husband and I deal with constantly.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

My wife and I went to a Welk presentation in Escondido in 2014. The presenter learned that I am a veteran and my wife, and I were both in school. She kept pushing the family narrative and made comments like, “How much would it mean to your children to have memories of amazing vacations”. Obviously, that would be fantastic, but we told the presenter that our finances and schedules would not allow for it. During the 4-hour presentation, we were sold on a dream. We were shown beautiful rooms and given false information.

This membership was sold as an investment in real property rather than a timeshare. We were promised equity that would only increase so we could resell our “asset” or gift it to our children. None of that is true. There is no property, equity, or value. What’s worse was the promise of recovering our costs through renting the property out and being part of a buyback program. We thought that with those 2 options, we had a way to deal with things if it became a financial burden but those were just more lies!

As if these things were not bad enough, we always have problems with availability. We went over 2 years without being able to reserve anything. We were never able to rent out points because the program didn’t exist! That was the major selling point. If we knew we could not offset the cost, we NEVER would have gone through with this! This has become a financial albatross.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

My husband and I were approached by preview reps at the Acura Grand Prix in Long Beach. They sparked our interest because they mentioned they were a Timeshare and that they aren’t ‘your traditional timeshare’. We agreed to book a tour and a stay at a discounted rate (1 night at a sister hotel for $79 right then and there) after they talked to us about Welk might wanting to buy our current timeshare and offer one of their packages. We asked if they had a brochure or what the sister hotel looked like. The reps looked it up on their phone and showed us what to expect. We asked if there was availability at the Welk Resort where the Tour would be as there were photos of that right in front of us on the table and we thought it would make more sense, stay at the Resort we’re going to be touring in hopes of becoming Timeshare owners.

This was out of the question as the preview reps expressed that they don’t have availability. We then continued to look at the sister hotel on our phones and thought ‘What the heck? Let’s try it!’. We are BlueGreen owners and we were thinking, ‘Why not check what else is out there?’. We were also persuaded by the gifts they promised for our taking the time to drive to Escondido for the tour. My husband and I thought it wasn’t a bad move - small staycation with our daughter, a possible Timeshare upgrade, and a freebie. Not bad, right?

Sadly, we were wrong. The preview reps at the Grand Prix assured us that our daughter could go to a child care center on site while we attend our tour. Fast forward to our small staycation, we are pulling into the driveway of the Lakeshore Resort (sister hotel) in San Marcos and we are made aware that we can not attend our Tour because our daughter isn’t potty trained and the policy at the day care on site at Welk is that children must be fully potty trained and not in pull ups. We were disappointed because we then had to rebook our Tour, take off work another day, and pay for a babysitter for the day. We chalk it up to a minor miscommunication error. At our stay at Lakeshore, because we weren’t gonna drive two and half hours back home. We were assured we can keep our room for the night. We checked into the resort and we’re given for lack of better words a dirty, old, and out of date hotel room.

The sister hotel, Lakeshore, had put us in an old building and nothing like the photos online. The walls had large dents from moving furniture or furniture that must have been dragged across the wall leaving a dragged dent at least 15 feet in length. The walls looked and felt like they hadn’t been wiped since I don’t know when. Just by putting your hand on the wall you can feel the layer of dirt on your fingers. The TV remote and light switches needed to be wiped down as they were noticeably filthy and the same as the wall dirty to the touch. All the furniture (the table, night stand, chairs, and entertainment dresser) was beat up and just deserved an upgrade. We had a made come wipe down the wall, light switches, and remote.

A week later, we come back for our tour. We have the most amazing, down to earth, funny Tour guide Dylan. He made everything easy to understand and we had a great day with him. Information wise everything sounds almost exactly the same compared to our other timeshare. We leave the preview center to go on our tour and I pass a couple who has a stroller with their daughter who is maybe 2 or 3 years old playing on her pad. I immediately start thinking, ‘Hmmm… that’s interesting. They told me my daughter could accompany my husband and I on the meeting.’ I shake it off. We finish touring the rooms and we head back to the preview center and I can’t make this up, two other families both with strollers, both with 2-4year old children (I am estimating and comparing to my daughter's height and stature) and are upstairs with parents talking to Tour guides (one child on coloring and the other eating a snack).

At this point I am very angry. I excused myself from my table to go to restroom and lo and behold I run into a mom with their baby in the restroom. I ask her how old is her daughter she says, two. I comment on the selling tactics and she says, ‘Yeah, my husband and I don’t want to buy. We’re just here for the gift’. I get back to my table and it’s apparent that I am bothered. My tour guide Dylan asks us if we want to look at numbers and I tell him my thoughts about the miscommunication. Of course he’s confused and doesn’t know what to say to me so he suggests a feedback card. I express my wanting to leave and at this point I don’t care about the gifts. He says, "Ok, let me get you the sign out sheet."

Dylan comes back with a salesperson Alex. Alex is very direct and tells my husband and I that our current ownership is ‘worthless’ and that THEY would be ‘doing us a favor’ by selling us a package with Welk. He continues to tell us that our Timeshare isn’t any good, we were gullible to buy with BlueGreen, we obviously don’t know anything about our timeshare package, real estate, trading power, or the value of money. I tell him he’s coming off very aggressive and rude. He leaves us with a sly comment about my husband's watch and how we must go on a ton of Timeshare previews - insinuating we are taking advantage of the whole Timeshare system. He extends his hand to shake goodbye and I tell him ‘walk away, don’t touch me’.

We then must wait for the gift we are promised and I express to my husband and Dylan that I don’t care about the gift, I’m gonna leave. Another salesman comes to our table and explains to us our gift and that if ever we do look to purchase they offer a sampler package and would love to sell us one. His name was Eric and he was nice. We then left with our gift, 4 hours later. We get home 3 hours later, and pay our babysitter for 9 hours ($170) of watching our daughter from 9:00 - 6:00. Something I didn’t even have to do since parents brought their unpotty trained kids to the meeting with them. Something I was told twice, by two different reps (AJ and Tamara) was not possible.

On my drive home I couldn’t help but feel discriminated against, since the three other families with small children were all ** and obviously had rules bent for them. I also thought the comments from Alex were out of line and had I not remained professional and composed, I might have been arrested for the way I wanted to act towards Alex. This is what I know in my experience with Welk, they don’t have universal policy for guests/potential owners, they treat you nice and respectful until you raise concern, and they lie.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Beware of this scam! Do whatever you can to separate yourself from this company's poor ethical behavior. They will do everything they can to try to steal your money. The sales team uses fake "tours" as a way to get you to listen to a presentation about a timeshare. Tricking customers is HIGHLY illegal and I will be working with a firm to get protection of those who have been affected by this scam.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Since Welk wants us to share our experiences I think it’s very important everyone here knows what mine has been. Starting with the first presentation in 2015 our experience has been horrendous- we have STILL not been to take a vacation using our membership, the representatives are rude and unhelpful- the only "help" offered is through attending another meeting to address our concerns- but all they try to do sell more! This con has cost us approximately $60,000- and NO VACATIONS! 20 years of Service in the Navy and I still can’t vacation with my wife. Thanks to the heinous misrepresentation of this company. CONSUMERS BEWARE!!! Lawrence Welk himself supported and appreciated the service of the troops, it seems Welk Resorts, however, does not!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I had to have a name change on title. I submitted all paperwork and paid all fees. They said it would take 6-8 weeks. It's been over 3 months. Nobody will call or write back. Not even sure the company is still in business. Beware of this company. They have not been honest since day 1.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

My husband and I took a free 2-night -3-day vacation, as long as we sat through a presentation. We agreed that we would take the trip, but we wouldn’t be purchasing. This “short” presentation took 5 LONG HOURS of being pressured by multiple salespeople. Every time we said we couldn’t afford it; they came back with more affordable options. They got us excited about the real estate investment they were offering by feeding us lie after lie until we purchased.

A few months later I inquired with our accountant about the real estate being claimed on our tax return and I was told that we couldn’t file it on our taxes as it is NOT real estate, which directly contradicts the sales pitch we sat through! Owner’s updates are only a ploy to get owners to buy more points. After declining the sales pitches at our last “owners update” our rep got visibly upset and left the table, and after he returned, he said we could leave but the free gift we were promised was no longer available to us. HOW PETTY IS THAT!?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

We were approached at the LA Beer Festival by booth workers, they offered us a complimentary round trip to Hawaii in exchange we would need to come to a timeshare presentation, so we agreed to attend. On the day of the presentation, we traveled from San Fernando Valley to Temecula, and we arrived early in the afternoon. The salesperson laid a deal in front of us showing us all the places we could go if we decided to take the deal in front of us. The more hesitant we looked the more the salesman talked. 8 HOURS of this man talking we were mentally exhausted we were ready to go so we accepted the offer. The salesman walked us to the room to sign paperwork and every time we looked hesitant to sign, he would make another pitch, he even ended up sitting in the room with us as if he were guarding the door, just in case we had second thoughts and changed our mind.

Once the contracts were signed, we still felt uneasy and 6 DAYS LATER we tried to call and opt out of our contract and were told they would get back to us with the status of our app. The next day we got a voicemail stating our app was already processed and “closed” and we could not cancel. WE FOUND OUT LATER CA LAW PROVIDES 7 DAYS TO CANCEL A TIMESHARE CONTRACT! We were told we had 2 weeks if we changed our mind to cancel! This company is full of liars and cheats I would never recommend them to anyone!

Original review: May 28, 2021

I do not understand how Welk Resorts gets away with this! The only way to sell a timeshare is to lie about it & that’s exactly what Welk did to us. My family found itself in a sales presentation back in 2015 and after a bunch of misinformation, false promises & undisclosed documents we bought into their scam. It has been worthless as we pay the fees but cannot ever book anything because of their infinite blackout dates. Looking back, I see the red flags that occurred during our presentation such as not letting us think it over and forcing us to decide “then & there”. We experienced buyer’s remorse immediately. Had they been honest with us about the legal cancellation period, we definitely would have taken advantage of it. To anyone who might find themselves in a Welk presentation, my advice is that you walk away. Do not believe their false promises. You are better off renting at a nightly rate, believe me it will save you thousands!

Original review: April 22, 2021

Please don't buy! High pressure sales. They will tell you to give them the first opportunity to buy back your points before you try to sell them. The truth is you have to sign up once a year for the Owner Release Program. If you're accepted, you have to pay them to get out of your ownership. Welk only accepts 200 applications for the release and this year they took an additional 100. Some of the others were waitlisted for possible release next year. That's over 300 people who want out of their contracts! I didn't make either list and our points have been paid off for years, so it's not like they're getting anything except the maintenance fees.... which are exorbitant!

I have found it very difficult to schedule at any of the resorts for the time frame I wanted. And there are all kinds of rules about how far out you can schedule. It's very confusing and frustrating. We bought ours at Branson. During the tour, you see how many units they have and they were still building more! The hidden truth is, not all those units are available for owner rental. Maybe just 1 or 2 buildings. I have stayed at Welk's in Branson, San Diego and Cabo. All of the units were very nice. The pools were nice. The food selection is limited. It is definitely NOT worth the cost of buying in. You CANNOT get out even if your points are paid for. You apparently CANNOT even just give it back to them. They want you to pay them. And now they've SOLD OUT to another company. DO NOT BE TAKEN IN BY THEIR SALES PITCH. YOU WILL BE SORRY. RUN when they offer you anything!

Original review: April 19, 2021

This company is only out for money!! I bought and paid for an audition in full. Even though my experience was horrible the sales reps do not take NO for an answer.... They then belittle you and act as if you are poor because you won’t buy and then talk down you are unwilling to give your family a vacation or nice things. I went to a “presentation” each time same thing sales reps hassling you to buy and getting mad you saying no. The last time I had used all my points so I decided to skip being talked down to and not go to the presentation. I was told I would forfeit my membership and points but I used mine and wasn’t signing back up. I then got a call the next day they charged my “incidental” card on file 500$ for a no show. I did not authorize this charge and will dispute it. DO NOT BUY AND STAY AWAY. THEY ONLY WANT YOUR MONEY!!

Original review: March 30, 2021

Warning Warning: Please don't buy any timeshare from this place. They are the worse. They present the best way to trick you to buy. Open the Champaign to celebrate your stupidity and this how we bought their Auditions program cost 3000$. There is no open date. There is no customer service, we went to Palm Spring resort (actually this is another lie. There is no resort standard in their hotels). Elevator was not working. So dirty. Bad customer service. PLEASE DON'T BUY. We just put 3000$ on trash. We asked for refund. They didn't even answer and any time we request for booking there is no free time. The over sale. Please don't buy anything here. Bunch of scammers.

Original review: March 25, 2021

While at a baseball game with my husband, I was approached by a Welk rep who was offering a free stay in Las Vegas if we attended their presentation. At the presentation, I was told that this membership would give us the best and cheapest options available to vacation and that we could travel internationally at no additional cost. This all sounded amazing, especially given the champagne they were giving us! There is so much that the salespeople left out during the presentation that we did not learn until after the fact. For example, we were told that this was a tax write-off, yet we have never been able to do so. These employees have never been truthful with us and now that we are in this situation of their making, they will not help us resolve it! What kind of customer service is that?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I have not had any problems with Welk until now. I am a part of the welk experiences for which they tell you you can use your points to offset the VOA Dues which is the maintenance fee. I have used my points several years in a row to bring down the maintenance fee. I applied my points in December 2020. No points credited to my account. I waited over the 45 days it takes to post. Still nothing. I called to find out what happened. Zander said, "We applied the points pay your balance." I sent him a copy showing my points never posted. I contacted someone else trying to find out what happened to my points and if they weren't going to apply my points to have them give them back to me so I can use them for something else.

I contacted welk Experiences to see why they never posted to be told you can't apply them to the maintenance fee. Ridiculous Since their website allows you to apply the points against the fee. No one can tell me where my points are. I want my points back. To back this is not an honest company and I am sure I will never see my points again. Time to book my extra travel with someone else who I will actually get a benefit from. Seems like if you change something you let people know. And if you website allows them to use it for things you aren't allowed to. Then the points get credited to your account.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

While at a street fair in San Diego, we spoke to a representative from Welk that was offering a ton of incentives for visiting one of their resorts. When we arrived at their Lake Tahoe resort, we were taken directly into a sales presentation where they started telling us about the amazing benefits of being Lawrence Welk owners. The sales staff led us to believe that we needed to make a decision before we left, so we accepted one of their offers, believing that this would allow us to fulfill our dreams of travelling the world. Since we returned home, we learned that nothing that they told us was true.

We have been unable to make reservations as our membership did not qualify. We were never told that there were restrictions to these bookings! When we booked our alleged free cruise, there were so many out-of-pocket fees that it cost more than it would have been to just pay cash for the trip. To make it worse, this was cancelled due to COVID and it took about a year to get our money back! What kind of company is this??

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

We are very happy with our timeshare experience through Welk, and have up until June 2020, been quite satisfied with the travel services division. We booked 2 Alaska Airline tickets for June 13 - 20, 2020, LAX to Puerto Vallarta. Due to COVID, we weren't able to use the tickets. We requested a refund because on Alaska's website we met the criteria for refunds. Welk refused to give us the refund, but offered credit toward future flights. We reluctantly agreed. This credit deadline was Nov. 15, 2020.

We were told we could use the e-ticket number to rebook through Alaska. It didn't work. I contacted Alaska, and they said that number isn't an Alaska number it's a Hahn number and to contact Hahn. I tried them, they won't even answer the phone. I contacted Welk who gave me the run around that I needed to contact Alaska. I have told at least 5 different people at Welk the numbers don't work. Finally, one of their representatives tried the numbers and confirmed they don't work. They then said to find the flights I want and provide Welk the dates, times, flight numbers, etc and they will book it for me.

They got back to me and told me that in addition to the $1200 credit, I would need to pay an additional $218! These same flights are available on Alaska for $250 a piece right now and have been since I started battling with them. This doesn't make any sense. Does it? I have asked this question to multiple people in the organization and none can give me an explanation. I am very disappointed in the customer service of this company. I do not recommend using them for travel services.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

I wasn’t going to write a review because they processed my timeshare cancellation without any issues. BUT I think it’s sad that they have the nerve to leave me on their call list AFTER I got out of my timeshare. I came across Welk at a Rockies game with my boyfriend and they were like come listen to the presentation and you get free gifts! Admittedly we went and gave into their sales tactics. To an extent I’m glad we experienced this with zero warning from peers; we learned to avoid it for the rest of our lives! We are millennials with mediocre salaries that don’t own our OWN home yet but they seemed to think prioritizing a vacation home over a real home somehow made sense and kept pushing the sale so I had to go with it to escape.

I quickly faxed them a letter within the legal deadline to get out of my contract. They were quick to process my request and gave me my deposit back within a couple weeks so I figured good riddance. All of this was in July. But then on Aug 11 I received a voicemail from a Jennifer who was apparently trying to schedule us for a tour? I ignored it. Since August I have gotten a couple of missed calls from their number; in fact I got one today. I don’t even bother to answer or request that they remove me because I’m kinda curious how long the apparent lack of recordkeeping on their end will continue lol. Anyways fellow millennials, know that timeshares aren’t anything cool unless you have an aunt who has one that’s paid off where you can go. I am shocked this business model still exists!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

Had a horrible vacation to this resort. The reservation for our room was done incorrectly so we didnt get the room we originally requested. When we called from the room they gave us to let them know, they told us "sorry we're all booked". Then the couch was torn/stained, pull out bed was sunk in, room smelt horrible, and the water in the shower wouldnt drain (water was about halfway up shin when showering). We called to be put on the reservation list for the pool almost 2 weeks in advance (called multiple times) and was told no problem we'll send the recreation department an email and you'll get in.

When we got to the pool we were told there was no actual reservation just and email saying we want to make one but no one called me back; even after the numerous attempts I tried to call to reserve a spot. They stated they could put us on a waiting list but we may not be able to get in at all during our stay. So no one even made a reservation for us. The rec center said they found the email, while I was standing there, and said sorry you can try again tomorrow. After addressing our concerns for 2 hours (going back and forth from the front office to the rec center) we were finally told on Saturday they'll let us in for 2 hours.

Overall this vacation was more stressful and uncomfortable than anything. We sat in our gross room almost the whole time because nothing else was open. We came so we can enjoy the pool and was told we can make a reservation at the pool 3 times. I also tried calling and left a message with the assistant manager and never got a callback.

Original review: July 24, 2020

On June 2, 2019, we (Gonzalo and Lucia) took our baby Sebastian to the Oakland Zoo for the first time. We wanted to have a fun time walking around looking at all the animals and ride on the mini-train with our baby. We enjoyed our walk through the zoo and our time together. In one of those walks from one exhibit to the other we were stopped by one guy who was offering to give us a trip to Hawaii for free. The only thing we had to do was to give a $50 deposit which we would receive back, and attend a 2 hour presentation at a Welk Resort in Lake Tahoe. On June 30, 2019, we attended the two hour presentation in Lake Tahoe in hopes of getting the free trip to Hawaii that was promised to us. In the presentation we were welcomed by Brian, one of the sales representatives from Welk Resort who spent a few minutes to show us the hotel rooms.

After showing us around, he took us to a room with numerous tables and other sales representatives and customers. There was never a two hour presentation like we were told. Instead, Brian was the only person who was talking to us. He started by asking if we traveled often and we told him that we never did. Then he proceeded to tell us a story about his family and how they never traveled either until he discovered Welk Resort timeshare. He basically created an estimate of how much people spend traveling without a timeshare and how much they can save if they had a timeshare. Initially, he wanted to sell us a timeshare that was worth about $30,000. We definitely refused stating that it was too much money and we were trying to save for a house and he kept showing us different packages that were supposed to fit our budgets.

As he kept showing us different packages and talking to us about how awesome the timeshare was and all the money we would save, we kept rejecting his offers. We also told him that buying a timeshare was a decision that we had to talk about for a while to decide if that is what we wanted since we didn’t really travel. We told Brian that we needed to go home and think about it but he insisted that if we didn’t act at that moment he would not be able to offer us those prices. We kept saying no to his offers and we wanted to go back home because it was about four hours into the “two hour presentation” and our baby who was being taken care of by his grandparents was crying so they kept calling us to see if we were on our way back. However, Brian kept insisting on selling us the timeshare, he kept saying he was going to talk with his manager to find out about other possibilities for our budget.

We told him that we were not thinking about buying anything because we did not have time to travel, but he left and said to wait and he was going to help us get a better deal because he really wanted us to have vacations and take our 2 year old out. Later he came back with a “better” deal. Now the price was reduced, and we refused the offer again. We specifically told him that we were planning to buy a house and that we were saving money but he persisted. We said that the timeshare was a big commitment and we didn’t want to be stuck with it. He mentioned that it was like a property that we were buying and we could pass on to our kids so they could continue enjoying it and traveling; he also said we could sell it and selling it back to them was one of the options so we could get rid of it anytime.

As an example, he said that if Gonzalo lost his job or I got sick and I was not able to continue working, we could just call them and they were going to help us. This really made us think that maybe we could try it out and see if we liked it since we could easily get rid of it if something went wrong. Still, we asked him to give us time to think because we needed more time and our babysitters were also questioning why the presentation was taking longer than we had told them. To convince us, he offered to give us a trip to Hawaii for a week with flights included, one trip to Cabo, and tickets for games with a certificate to buy pizza, and of course our $50 dollar deposit back. We told him again that we needed more time to think because it was a lot money. He looked frustrated and said that he didn’t want us to miss on this deal, that he was trying to help us enjoy traveling and save money.

Brian said that if we decided to buy the timeshare later he was not going to be able to give us any of the deals and the upgraded free trip or prizes that he mentioned, just the regular cheap trip that was promised. He said he was going to leave us alone for a few minutes to talk things out and think about it. He left for about 10 minutes and came back with his manager who tried to pressure us to buy the timeshare as well. By that time, our babysitters were upset because about 4 hours had passed. The manager insisted that he was giving us the best deal and asked us what was stopping us from buying the timeshare. We told him that the interest was very high and that we did not want to be stuck with the loan if we were to buy a house. Again, the manager and Brian said that we could sell back the timeshare if we had to, or if we didn’t like it.

They said that it was like a property and to think of all the prizes that we were getting and that by buying the timeshare we were going to be forced to travel and enjoy our lives more because we needed vacations. After long minutes of negotiation and their promises that we could get rid of the timeshare easily, we decided to buy it. Brian immediately said that since he had heard us speaking in Spanish, he was going to take us to talk with Marcela. She was going to explain to us the contract and all the paperwork because she spoke Spanish and that way we could communicate better. Our conversation with Marcela was very quick, she was flipping through pages so fast and not giving us time to read a single page. She basically was holding the paper and talking about the information that was in the paper moving quickly to the next.

Our real concern all this time was on how to get rid of the timeshare in case we bought a house or had financial problems. We asked Marcela as well that in case something went wrong or we didn’t want it, if we were going to be able to sell it back or get rid of it, and she said that we could sell it back. However, they had the right to buy it back from us before anyone else. She made us sign all the paperwork and gave us a USB that had the information she reviewed with us, as well as copies of the contract that we signed. By this time our babysitter was calling us and questioning why the presentation went from 2 hours to almost all afternoon. We had traveled from Stockton CA to Lake Tahoe so by the time we got out from the presentation it was really late and we had to work the next day. We had to drive back almost 2 hours!

On April 10 2020, Gonzalo lost his job due to the COVID-19 pandemic. On April 12, we tried to contact the timeshare to let them know that we wanted to sell back the timeshare due to financial issues. They were very rude and told us that selling back was not an option unless we had paid off my loan in full. They said that we were given 7 days after the purchase to cancel the timeshare and now there was no way we could get rid of it unless my loan was paid in full. During this call, I also mentioned the free trips that they gave us and how we never had a chance to travel. They told us that they could not find any free trip in the system and that sales representatives “were notorious for making promises.”

That same day, we emailed them explaining our financial situation and they replied with an email saying that someone was going to contact me about options and that it could take up to 3 days. Until this date no one had contacted us about the situation. We emailed them again on April 23rd asking them about the response and to let them know that we were told that I could get rid of my timeshare anytime. We also told them that we thought it was wrong how they mislead people to buy the timeshare with lies, and until this day they have not answered us.

Original review: July 7, 2020

Hi. We were invited to Welks (where we bought 120k every other year last year on August 9th with a 1 year price guarantee to add more points if we desired) to do an owner update and receive two free nights and do the presentation and this was supposed to happen in April but was canceled due to Covid so we rescheduled to 4th of July weekend. So on our way there we call to see if pool was open for the kids and was told it had to be reserved and it was booked and people were supposed to not be able to book more than once until they used one reservation. Cant be true as we seen same people in pool each day but no big deal. We made do.

We stayed our nights, checked out and proceeded to the owner update where we were met by a nice and pleasant guy who kept saying he was not there for sales but to let us know what we originally bought and to help us get what we want. So for most of conversation/ presentation the guy was nice other than saying inward basically lying when I would answer one of his questions and at the end when he said, "You know you have a flag on your account," I said why so he went to find out and what he came back with was that what they sold me wouldnt be enough points and I was supposed to have this brought to my attention in April except for covid but it was no big deal.

What it really was is that they wanted me to use my price guarantee so they would have to honor it any longer so he presented the pricing to upgrade to what is actually usable vs. What they sold me to begin with (which in his words was just sales team making a sale and just wanted to get us to by something and that we agreed to it so we knew what we were buying). (Always feels good being told they were just selling you what you were willing to spend rather it be useful or not.)

So back to pricing and upgrading as it was presented to us my wife and I reviewed and I told them it seems to me I have until the 9th of August to decide if we want to purchase more points and that's when the different attitude came out by him and the so called sales manager Jimmy and I was told nope I only had that day to make the decision because I had a meeting with them which then all they could muster is, "It's in your contract and you should have read that part." And I bought it and it's mine so that's that.

As soon as I was told that I asked what would it take to dissolve the entire ownership as I dont like sneaky things like that to get people to purchase something that really isnt even usable and was told, "Sorry you bought it. It's yours and you should have read your contract all the way." Then was told, "You can go." By the none salesman that only wanted to sell us more time. Cant believe this is how owners are treated regardless of how much they have bought, owner is an owner. I do not blame the sales team from when we bought other than saying a few things that are not true like things with exchanging and free time and things like that but no big deal. I was still ok with everything until this experience.

It's sad when Welks wants to sell me more time at the price guarantee I had at that time for another 15k for 120k more points but I can also think back to Oct 2019 and received a call from welks and could have doubled my points then for another $6200. Crazy how much they want to get out of people. And now I look and I can literally buy what I already have for $5 from a very reputable company and only increase my maintenance fee. Do the math and no matter what it's cheaper than what welks wants from me. Hope they can make it right in my eyes before I hand over to lawyer to handle and dissolve.

Original review: May 14, 2020

My timeshare was cancelled without communicating with me it was going to be cancelled. No letter in the mail, no email, no phone calls. They took my deposit and ran. I want my refund! I tried contacting them and never hear back. Not only that but I paid the fees for our complementary trip, and didn't receive it, I want my refund for that too!. I guess the company went out of business? Twice!? I followed up and tried everything they prompted me to do and still haven't heard back from Welks. Beautiful Resorts but crap service. They need to be more organized and helpful.

Original review: April 28, 2020

Beware. Welk Resorts uses high pressure sales techniques to push people into expensive timeshares with high APRs. Very unorganized and uncomfortable setting. If the salesperson can’t push you into a sale, they will have two sales managers come to the table to try and pressure you into a sale. If they can’t push a sale onto you you then go to an exit sales presentation where they again try and push you into a sale. If you sign with them, you get a special stamp on your “free” Hawaii vacation giving you priority. If you don’t sign with them, you basically have no chance of successfully setting up a Hawaii vacation.

Original review: March 15, 2020

We were approached by a Welk salesperson at an NHL hockey game to sign up for a timeshare presentation at a Welk Resort. Thought it was a good idea and signed up. Now I find out that the $50 deposit is nonrefundable, which was not presented to us. Furthermore, they signed us up for a hotel stay overnight (March 15-16) at one of their neighboring properties (Lakehouse Resort), for which we were not sent a confirmation nor made aware of their cancellation policy. When we tried to cancel on March 14 due to the need to avoid public travel because of the Coronavirus (plus the closing of our kids schools), their office was closed. We left a message and received no response.

I again called on March 15 and was able to get a hold of a representative name Kay. Kay, along with the advice of her supervisor (Trish **), stated that they will have to charge me for the hotel stay of $59.99 as a no show, without any consideration to the Coronavirus nor the unexpected circumstances of our children's school closure. The conversation was all business. No personal touch to the current crisis and fear of travel, just business. This is a very disgraceful act for a company to not consider a world pandemic and proceed business as usual

Being so frustrated, we decided to cancel our entire reservation with them for touring their property. We do not want to business with a company that has zero human touch and the inability to provide empathy or understand the need to provide flexibility during a worldwide crisis. Disgraceful. This is also when we realized our deposit is non-refundable. Kay and her supervisor, Trish **, refused to refund. They offered a better hotel in the future, which is not what we're interested in. We are/were interested in possibly purchasing at timeshare with Welk, but we a disgraceful act as such, that is no longer the case. When a company cannot adapt to unforeseen circumstances, you do not want to do business with them.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I am sending you this message in regards to a stay that I had at the resort in Escondito, CA. and to make you aware of the deplorable management of your organization. We checked into the resort for Christmas week, 6 days before my daughter’s destination wedding in La Jolla. We booked a mountain villa at the Welk resorts property in Escondito, Ca., which was advertised as having "deluxe appointments and features sure to enhance your vacation experience". We wanted to enjoy the Christmas holidays and have some relaxation before the big wedding event.

Overnight on Christmas day there was a big rainstorm. The room that we were in was partially sub floor level. The closet where the bride’s wedding gown, my own gown, all the clothes and dresses for the various wedding events were hanging, as well as all the shoes for all the gowns and dresses that were on the floor of that closet, completely flooded. This was not a small leak, but a full on flood. Everything was soaked. This was literally thousands of dollars worth of property that we had spent at least the last 9 months buying and preparing for the wedding scheduled to take place a week later. It was clearly visible that there was a major crack in the exterior wall at the side of the villa where the water must have rushed in.

My main concern was to try to rescue anything that I could and even more so, to keep the bride, from finding out what had happened to her dresses, property etc., as she literally would have had a nervous break down. Luckily she was not in the villa that morning when I woke to see the flood. As soon as I got everything out of the closet, I went to the front desk. There was no manager available. There was only an assistant manager available who, in spite of being very sympathetic, told me that this was way above his authority and ability to deal with. I remained calm and polite. There were literally over a thousand guest at this property and there was no one available or present in a capacity of authority who could deal with this. The assistant agreed with me that we must keep this situation from the bride since at all cost, he wanted to avoid creating a scene at the resort.

Obviously, the bedroom was no longer usable and when the assistant asked me once if I wanted to move, I said to him that in order to do that I would have to tell the bride what had happened. He immediately agreed again that we should not tell the bride and not change rooms since that would create a terrible scene for him that he was not in authority nor capable of handling and that it would have created even more chaos and I now had to concentrate on repairing all the damage done before the wedding that was happening the following week.

They attempted to clean the room before the bride returned to the villa but the person trying to vacuum up the water told me there was too much water and he couldn't get it all up. The bedroom also started to smell moldy immediately. Clearly this was not the first time this had happened. I closed the door so that the bride wouldn't see what had occurred and never used the bedroom again. Since her room was on the other side of the villa, she remained unaware of what had happened.

Days went by and not a single manager or person in authority tried to contact me. Because I had so many things that took precedent to deal with, which included the wedding event, rehearsal, dinners, guests and relatives arriving to stay at the wedding venue in La Jolla, and now trying to replace and repair the damage that was done to my property without the bride finding out and the total chaos this created for me, I told the assistant that if they would just reverse the charges of our stay there, I would be happy to settle everything. He told me he didn't have the authority and didn't know why no manager or director had contacted me but refused to give me any contact information of anyone who could help me.

Over the next few days, I kept going back to the front desk and asking to speak the general manager of the hotel. Each time I was told that there was no manager available on the premises. They were on vacation and there was no one in charge present. The only person I could speak to each time was the same assistant who kept telling me that he was "completely on my side" but his position didn't allow him to reverse the charges and rectify the situation.

I never argued or lost my temper with him or any other person there as I was being respectful of the fact that there were at least a thousand other guests there for the holidays and I was trying to be considerate. In hindsight, perhaps that was a mistake as ultimately management was completely ungrateful and rude to me. Each time I kept asking why isn't anyone "in authority" contacting me and he didn't know. Each time (at least 5) I politely asked for contact information for the general manager of the hotel so that I could contact them and they refused to give it to me or tell me how to speak to someone who could help me. When we checked out of the hotel, Christmas had passed days before and still no one contacted me. Again, I asked for contact information since we were leaving and moving on to the wedding venue and the assistant refused!

Five days after the flood, days after we had checked out, the afternoon before the wedding a PR person named Hutch ** contacted me. Needless to say I was completely preoccupied at that point with the wedding but he claimed he knew nothing about what had happened (even though the assistant had previously assured me that “corporate” was fully aware of everything that had happened) and he made me explain everything in detail, to him. He was clearly disturbed and sympathetic. He said thank you so much for being so patient and reiterated to me how grateful he was and how smart it was that I didn't and still hadn't told the bride what had happened, which was one of the main reasons for not changing rooms at the resort. He even said to me that he could only imagine what a horrible situation it would be if that had happened to his daughter.

He told me that he was on my side and that he really appreciated and admired the way I had handled everything. He told me that he promised I would never have to repeat the story to anyone again, that he would deal with the whole thing and that he would keep me up to date and stay in touch with me and call me every step of the way. I thanked him and said just don't call me during the wedding which was the next day. I didn't hear from him again for 15 days. I managed to get his phone number off my cell phone. After the wedding, I kept calling him and leaving messages and he NEVER called me or contacted again for 15 days.

When I finally got him on the phone, he made excuses about having so many other messages to answer and being busy in many meetings. He said that he had discussed the flooding of the villa with his superiors and it was decided by his bosses, that they would not refund me anything but if I gave him receipts they would consider paying for the cleaning of things. He said I should have changed rooms.

I had to explain to Mr. ** that the issue being addressed here is NOT that we didn’t change rooms (which the assistant manager agreed was not a feasible option) but: A) The flood had already happened and changing rooms would not have changed the fact that your facility needed to take responsibility for the flood that had occurred not cause more stress and inconvenience to the guest. B) I would have had to tell the bride what had happened and that the assistant asked me not to tell the bride since there would have been a completely unmanageable scene created for him to manage. C) That regardless of the thousands of dollars in property damage and the immense stress and chaos this created, anyone staying in a hotel room that was flooded should NOT be charged for their stay there.

His response to me was that this was his superior’s decision and there was nothing he could do about it. When I kept asking him to give the contact information of the people that had made this decision he refused to give me anyone's name or contact and he refused to go back to his superiors to reconsider. He left me with no option except to try to stop payment on my credit card. I hope you as CEO can help me and correct this horrible treatment at your resort.

Welk Resort Group response

We're very concerned about your experience and would like to look into this further. Please give our team a call at 1-855-455-9355.

Welk Resort Group Company Information