3.0/5 (414 ratings)

About Welk Resort Group

Welk Resorts is a dynamic, growing, and respected leader in the vacation ownership industry. Independently owned and operated, Welk Resorts has built a foundation of innovation and hospitality.

Welk Resort Group Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Welk Resort Group?

Original review: March 15, 2020

We were approached by a Welk salesperson at an NHL hockey game to sign up for a timeshare presentation at a Welk Resort. Thought it was a good idea and signed up. Now I find out that the $50 deposit is nonrefundable, which was not presented to us. Furthermore, they signed us up for a hotel stay overnight (March 15-16) at one of their neighboring properties (Lakehouse Resort), for which we were not sent a confirmation nor made aware of their cancellation policy. When we tried to cancel on March 14 due to the need to avoid public travel because of the Coronavirus (plus the closing of our kids schools), their office was closed. We left a message and received no response.

I again called on March 15 and was able to get a hold of a representative name Kay. Kay, along with the advice of her supervisor (Trish **), stated that they will have to charge me for the hotel stay of $59.99 as a no show, without any consideration to the Coronavirus nor the unexpected circumstances of our children's school closure. The conversation was all business. No personal touch to the current crisis and fear of travel, just business. This is a very disgraceful act for a company to not consider a world pandemic and proceed business as usual

Being so frustrated, we decided to cancel our entire reservation with them for touring their property. We do not want to business with a company that has zero human touch and the inability to provide empathy or understand the need to provide flexibility during a worldwide crisis. Disgraceful. This is also when we realized our deposit is non-refundable. Kay and her supervisor, Trish **, refused to refund. They offered a better hotel in the future, which is not what we're interested in. We are/were interested in possibly purchasing at timeshare with Welk, but we a disgraceful act as such, that is no longer the case. When a company cannot adapt to unforeseen circumstances, you do not want to do business with them.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I am sending you this message in regards to a stay that I had at the resort in Escondito, CA. and to make you aware of the deplorable management of your organization. We checked into the resort for Christmas week, 6 days before my daughter’s destination wedding in La Jolla. We booked a mountain villa at the Welk resorts property in Escondito, Ca., which was advertised as having "deluxe appointments and features sure to enhance your vacation experience". We wanted to enjoy the Christmas holidays and have some relaxation before the big wedding event.

Overnight on Christmas day there was a big rainstorm. The room that we were in was partially sub floor level. The closet where the bride’s wedding gown, my own gown, all the clothes and dresses for the various wedding events were hanging, as well as all the shoes for all the gowns and dresses that were on the floor of that closet, completely flooded. This was not a small leak, but a full on flood. Everything was soaked. This was literally thousands of dollars worth of property that we had spent at least the last 9 months buying and preparing for the wedding scheduled to take place a week later. It was clearly visible that there was a major crack in the exterior wall at the side of the villa where the water must have rushed in.

My main concern was to try to rescue anything that I could and even more so, to keep the bride, from finding out what had happened to her dresses, property etc., as she literally would have had a nervous break down. Luckily she was not in the villa that morning when I woke to see the flood. As soon as I got everything out of the closet, I went to the front desk. There was no manager available. There was only an assistant manager available who, in spite of being very sympathetic, told me that this was way above his authority and ability to deal with. I remained calm and polite. There were literally over a thousand guest at this property and there was no one available or present in a capacity of authority who could deal with this. The assistant agreed with me that we must keep this situation from the bride since at all cost, he wanted to avoid creating a scene at the resort.

Obviously, the bedroom was no longer usable and when the assistant asked me once if I wanted to move, I said to him that in order to do that I would have to tell the bride what had happened. He immediately agreed again that we should not tell the bride and not change rooms since that would create a terrible scene for him that he was not in authority nor capable of handling and that it would have created even more chaos and I now had to concentrate on repairing all the damage done before the wedding that was happening the following week.

They attempted to clean the room before the bride returned to the villa but the person trying to vacuum up the water told me there was too much water and he couldn't get it all up. The bedroom also started to smell moldy immediately. Clearly this was not the first time this had happened. I closed the door so that the bride wouldn't see what had occurred and never used the bedroom again. Since her room was on the other side of the villa, she remained unaware of what had happened.

Days went by and not a single manager or person in authority tried to contact me. Because I had so many things that took precedent to deal with, which included the wedding event, rehearsal, dinners, guests and relatives arriving to stay at the wedding venue in La Jolla, and now trying to replace and repair the damage that was done to my property without the bride finding out and the total chaos this created for me, I told the assistant that if they would just reverse the charges of our stay there, I would be happy to settle everything. He told me he didn't have the authority and didn't know why no manager or director had contacted me but refused to give me any contact information of anyone who could help me.

Over the next few days, I kept going back to the front desk and asking to speak the general manager of the hotel. Each time I was told that there was no manager available on the premises. They were on vacation and there was no one in charge present. The only person I could speak to each time was the same assistant who kept telling me that he was "completely on my side" but his position didn't allow him to reverse the charges and rectify the situation.

I never argued or lost my temper with him or any other person there as I was being respectful of the fact that there were at least a thousand other guests there for the holidays and I was trying to be considerate. In hindsight, perhaps that was a mistake as ultimately management was completely ungrateful and rude to me. Each time I kept asking why isn't anyone "in authority" contacting me and he didn't know. Each time (at least 5) I politely asked for contact information for the general manager of the hotel so that I could contact them and they refused to give it to me or tell me how to speak to someone who could help me. When we checked out of the hotel, Christmas had passed days before and still no one contacted me. Again, I asked for contact information since we were leaving and moving on to the wedding venue and the assistant refused!

Five days after the flood, days after we had checked out, the afternoon before the wedding a PR person named Hutch ** contacted me. Needless to say I was completely preoccupied at that point with the wedding but he claimed he knew nothing about what had happened (even though the assistant had previously assured me that “corporate” was fully aware of everything that had happened) and he made me explain everything in detail, to him. He was clearly disturbed and sympathetic. He said thank you so much for being so patient and reiterated to me how grateful he was and how smart it was that I didn't and still hadn't told the bride what had happened, which was one of the main reasons for not changing rooms at the resort. He even said to me that he could only imagine what a horrible situation it would be if that had happened to his daughter.

He told me that he was on my side and that he really appreciated and admired the way I had handled everything. He told me that he promised I would never have to repeat the story to anyone again, that he would deal with the whole thing and that he would keep me up to date and stay in touch with me and call me every step of the way. I thanked him and said just don't call me during the wedding which was the next day. I didn't hear from him again for 15 days. I managed to get his phone number off my cell phone. After the wedding, I kept calling him and leaving messages and he NEVER called me or contacted again for 15 days.

When I finally got him on the phone, he made excuses about having so many other messages to answer and being busy in many meetings. He said that he had discussed the flooding of the villa with his superiors and it was decided by his bosses, that they would not refund me anything but if I gave him receipts they would consider paying for the cleaning of things. He said I should have changed rooms.

I had to explain to Mr. ** that the issue being addressed here is NOT that we didn’t change rooms (which the assistant manager agreed was not a feasible option) but: A) The flood had already happened and changing rooms would not have changed the fact that your facility needed to take responsibility for the flood that had occurred not cause more stress and inconvenience to the guest. B) I would have had to tell the bride what had happened and that the assistant asked me not to tell the bride since there would have been a completely unmanageable scene created for him to manage. C) That regardless of the thousands of dollars in property damage and the immense stress and chaos this created, anyone staying in a hotel room that was flooded should NOT be charged for their stay there.

His response to me was that this was his superior’s decision and there was nothing he could do about it. When I kept asking him to give the contact information of the people that had made this decision he refused to give me anyone's name or contact and he refused to go back to his superiors to reconsider. He left me with no option except to try to stop payment on my credit card. I hope you as CEO can help me and correct this horrible treatment at your resort.

Welk Resort Group response

We're very concerned about your experience and would like to look into this further. Please give our team a call at 1-855-455-9355.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

The salesman we got stuck with, made all sorts of promises. We didn't learn until after purchasing that he'd lied through his teeth. They fired him, but it was too late for us. We've had this timeshare for several years and only have been able to use it once...for 2 nights. With a $1200 per year maintenance fee, that was an expensive $600 per night stay. We tried 2 times to use their rent-out option, but even though 1 went through, and I made $200, the second one they canceled, stating I didn't pay my maintenance fees. When I sent them documentation, proving I had, it was too late and our points were gone. Use it or lose it!

I went to 1 owner's update, where they put us in a really bad room, then tried showing how great a room we could've had, then asked me to pay more to get more. The heck?! Why would I up my time, when I'd be paying a Ton more? I called and asked nicely for them to just let us out of the deal, but they just said they'd take it back if I pay off the loan. So I'll go buy a car, then just give it back to the dealer? This company is nuts! High maintenance fees, for 2 days per year. Think twice before you buy into them. I have 3 other timeshares and they are awesome. This place is a joke and they won't let you out of a bogus deal.

Welk Resort Group response

Hi Mary, we are disappointed to hear about your experience as an Owner with us. Please send us a message with your contact information and we will escalate this to our management team to contact you.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I’m a timeshare owner and when I used Welk Resort, I used my timeshare time. It was very nice and very clean. Plus, their staff was nice and I enjoyed my experience with them. But timeshare owners should pick residence over Expedia when they do their reservations because I couldn’t use my three days as they said there was no room, yet I could still go on Expedia and rent three days. Other than that, it was nice that if we could do barbecues at Welk Resort and the pool temperature was fine.

Welk Resort Group response

Thank you for the review, Matthew! We appreciate the feedback on your recent stay, as it truly helps us grow and improve as a company. We would like to ensure you that we will escalate this to our management team to be addressed internally, and we hope to have the chance to host you again in the future for a flawless visit.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I too am a Welk Platinum Owner who first bought 3/2009. Was invited back year after year using enticements. Increased my ownership/membership in 2017. Today I was enticed to attend an Owners Update and was told that if I didn't continue to increase my ownership at specific and recurring intervals that was not explained that my ownership would be stagnant at its current level. I would not be able to increase this membership in the future, only add separate memberships that could not be combined. When I purchased originally and at the time I increased my stake I was told I would be able to increase my ownership as my needs required. Although at current market prices. Today I was told that has now changed to the current scheme.

Welk Resort Group response

Hi Raymond, we are disappointed to hear you're having a negative experience as an Owner with us. Please send us a message with your contact information and we will escalate this to our management team to contact you.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

We own timeshares and we trade them. We were introduced to Welk over 20 some years ago from a friend of ours that had a timeshare there. It is a great property. So far, everybody that we know goes there and we all feel the same about it. We like their customer service a lot, but they could improve on how to better answer the telephone because it’s hard to get through them sometimes. They also need a better restaurant there. They have a very small one, and that’s the only place you can go to eat, other than Pizza Hut. They don’t give us a good opportunity in that respect. I also don’t like the fact that I can’t go there every year. With the RCI, they say I have to wait three years to go. And then a lot of times, I have to go through a private party to get a week there.

Welk Resort Group response

Hello. We appreciate the feedback, as it truly helps us grow and improve as a company. We would like to ensure you that we will escalate this to our management team to be addressed internally, and we hope to have the chance to host you again in the future for a flawless visit.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

We stayed at Welk Resorts and had a good time. The staff was friendly and the amenities were nice.

Welk Resort Group response

We're thrilled to hear that, Glynn! Thank you for taking the time to share this review. We hope to have you back again in the future!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

We were traveling and had a one-night stay at Welk Resort. We came in, got our room and rested for the trip ahead. We would stay there again.

Welk Resort Group response

Thank you for the kind review, Vickey!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

We have stayed at numerous Welk Resorts and yes, they are beautiful! We were convinced to purchase Experiences by Welk as we would be able to purchase travel cheaper and put the rewards towards our maintenance fees for our ownership. We did... What a mistake! They took $1,700 of our dollars for booking airline reservations and FYI... you CANNOT book seats until 24-48 hours prior to boarding. Within 12 hours of booking I tried to cancel due to flying on a 9 hour flight and wanted to sit beside my husband. Long story short I did what they TOLD ME TO DO and now I have no tickets and lost the money! I have contacted Welk resorts and they were working on it and now Hutch ** will not return my calls and DON’T care about the problem! So tired of promises and nothing done! Merry Christmas to Welk as I helped them out with $1,700 and I have nothing in return!

Welk Resort Group response

Hello, Diane. We're concerned about your experience and would like to look into this further. Please give our team a call at 1-855-455-9355.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

Our first time at Welk Resorts was a lot better than the second time. We were renting and the room location wasn't as good. There were also some issues, but at least it got cleared up.

Welk Resort Group response

We're glad the team made things right, Peter! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

My concerns are promptly addressed. Private and public areas are fairly well maintained. Staff are friendly. All systems function as desired. I spent my week in a perfect relaxing atmosphere; enjoying eighty degree weather in Palm Spring second week in November.

Welk Resort Group response

We're thrilled to hear this, Felix! Thank you for the kind review.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I had questions about timelines for using and banking points I've accumulated. Also how usage of my points for the Collections resorts and other resorts and hotels works through Welk and RCI. Also usage of units by family and friends.

Welk Resort Group response

Hi, Peter. Please give our team a call at 1-855-455-9355.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Owner update. We had a very informative update meeting. Doug was very enjoyable to spend time w/ & share experiences that would make our points work better for us. The promo was icing on the cake. Please thank Doug for us & have a super holiday.

Welk Resort Group response

We appreciate your review, Juli!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

We love staying at the Lawrence Welk Resort. Some units need updating and the couch and chairs are uncomfortable but the units have always been clean. The staff is friendly, helpful and "on the ball". The grounds are well cared for.

Thank you, Heather!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

We had an awesome time at the San Diego resort. The only issue I would say I had was the screen doors in the unit were worn and the shower had horrible water pressure and directions to increase water temperature. Otherwise, it was a perfect getaway.

Welk Resort Group response

Thank you very much, Danielle!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

The resort is always a great place to come. The unit is very well kept and maintained. The staff is very well versed in hospitality and responds very quickly to our needs. Thank you. We have relatives and friends who also enjoy visiting this San Diego resort.

Welk Resort Group response

Thank you for this wonderful feedback, Bruce!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

Got the week we wanted where we wanted with excellent help from agent. This was a bonus week from purchase of points while in Cabo San Lucas last May. Our first use of the Collection properties. May use another property in the collection this summer.

Welk Resort Group response

We're thrilled to hear this, Robert!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

During a visit last year we were locked out due to code changes in our lockout and main bedroom. Apparently when a stay excites the normal 7 days the front or backend days cause a change in code. It was a nuisance but there must be a way to fix it. The manager was nice about it after the 2nd time and fixed it. Otherwise, the accommodations were terrific!

Welk Resort Group response

Thank you for your review, Bruce!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

Our stay was fabulous however we went there Cabo Welks wanting to become owners but the sales lady we had was not professional. She was in a hurry to get off work and get to her husband and kids. We felt very rushed and did not get the information we were looking for. Sadly we did not buy. We would love another opportunity to go back another time for a better sales experience and enjoy our stay.. Thank you.

Welk Resort Group response

Hello, Lorena. We appreciate the feedback on your recent stay, as it truly helps us grow and improve as a company. We would like to ensure you that we will escalate this to our management team to be addressed internally, and we hope to have the chance to host you again in the future for a flawless visit.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

Very nice inside and outdoors. Grounds are very clean. Golfing is great on either course. We go stay at least once a year with our family and visit the zoo and lots of other great things to do in San Diego also.

Welk Resort Group response

Thank you for this wonderful review, Debbie!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

It was yet another year with wonderful service where we rarely had to ever leave the resort. The only item we would ever even with for is a connection from the main hotel to the entertainment/restaurant building that wasn't outside. We always visit in November for the Daniel O'Donnell concerts and it's usually pretty cool to push mom's wheelchair over to breakfast and/or dinner. Maybe even just even a plastic barrier to cut the wind but allow the view to remain.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

Very good place to stay and enjoy the grounds. Excellent breakfasts make it so much better. The quiet rooms are a big plus. Staff is very helpful and respond to all questions. Thanks for a great visit to the area. Keep up the good work and the smiles.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

Updated on 01/06/2020: I am an owner and had a reservation. I needed to cancel and was charged $50 to cancel plus I lost half of my points I had used for this reservation. When we purchased the timeshare, I do not remember being told it would be $50 to cancel and on top of that lose half of my points. At most hotels you can cancel within 24-48 hours with no penalty which makes me feel that the Welk Resort is just being greedy. I feel you purchase in good faith, but as time goes along they keep adding new rules that you never agreed to when you purchased. Is this legal? Once I posted this, weeks later I received your email asking me to call them which I did. But no one knew who I should be talking to because it was a number for all Welk Resorts.

I was transferred to the front desk of the San Diego resort where they had no idea who I should talk to. They said they would send an email to the Corporate Office asking them to reach out to me because they were not allowed to transfer calls to that office. I said okay but was not satisfied at all. I was frustrated with the cancellation process, and now frustrated again because they act like they reached out to discuss the matter but did not bother to give me a person to call, just a number of all resorts which was next to no response. It makes me feel they are just being greedy and trying to avoid reaching out but want it to seem like they are being helpful. Very unhappy with them at this time.

Original Review: I needed to cancel a stay at your resort that I had reserved. I knew there was a charge to cancel. What I did not realize was that I would only get back half of the points. I don't ever remember being told that before. I think that is a little too much to pay $50 to cancel and then to lose half the points on top of that. I cancelled because we were coming down to play golf and with the upcoming rain, there really isn't a lot to do at the resort if you can't play golf. I was just disappointed that we lost half of the points we had used for the reservation.

Welk Resort Group response

Hi, Sue. We would like to look into this further. Please give our team a call at 1-855-455-9355.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

We live high in the San Bernardino mountains and there was a terrible storm. Our original stay was only supposed to be until the 29th. The mountain roads were closed, we couldn't get home. The lovely woman we called managed to get us three extra days. We were so grateful.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

Good quality lodgings and we were comfortable. The small one bedroom in the new buildings has a shower that is not safe as it is in a tub that is hard to enter. Recently we stayed at Big Cedar. Good lodging, but the kitchen was smaller and not as well equipped. We liked the decor. Believe we’d like to use RCI again for stays.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

Great place to stay once a year. I look forward to visiting the Welk Resort every November. The weather is nice and I have met some great people. The farmers market is my favorite thing to do. Meeting all of the vendors and eating great food is also the best.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

The staff members at Welk Resort are very knowledgeable, friendly and accommodating. Our room was clean and ready on time. Even the slightest issue was handled quickly and expertly. We had a wonderful week, including an unexpected low score on my golf game.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

I already did this. I will add I learned a lot at Leo’s meeting on RCI and it will be very beneficial. I always enjoy myself out there. All of my family have been there and like it but prefer Colorado because it’s closer and they can ski.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

It’s always a very nice experience whenever we stay at the Welk Resort in Escondido! We enjoy the onsite activities (golf, hiking, water aerobics and pickle ball), location, weather and friendly staff. The shows are always amazing. This time we saw Addams Family. It was a very funny musical comedy with a talented cast.

We appreciate your kind review and we hope to see you again soon!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Very nice place to relax and enjoy nature. It’s like a second home. I would recommend it to everyone. Very friendly staff and don’t forget to go to pizza place. Very good food. Full kitchens with bbq at pool. Really nice property.

Welk Resort Group Company Information