1.24/5

Looking for travel insurance?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

405 Trip Mate Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

My mom, sisters, and I purchased this insurance for our dream vacation. Due to weather we had delays then were stuck in the wrong country for 3 days. After months of providing proof my 2 sisters and mother were awarded a portion of our missed days of our trip, paid hotels, and tours. My claim was denied! No explanation! Our trip was in July 2018, I am still fighting for some form of payment. The BBB will be getting a complaint.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

We missed our flight to Montego Bay Jamaica due to no fault of our own. When we arrived at Sandals Ochi we asked about the insurance because we booked through them, they told us we had to contact Trip Mate and we did. Well after a 2 month review they denied us stating that we needed to miss our flight by 3 hours minimum! That is ridiculous at best and a waste of our money! Even if it only costs you $1 save yourself the money because this insurance is worthless and not worth a penny! To add insult to injury it took them 2 months to come up with this excuse!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My granddaughter and I were to travel to London in December 2018. In mid-September, I fell and had multiple fractures in the bones of my foot and torn ligaments. My doctor would not release me to travel because I was at high risk for blood clots because my foot was immobilized. I filed my paperwork on December 7, 2018. I have followed my claim online and it was confirmed. Reserve appeared to be set aside. Then information was requested from my travel supplier again. When I called to ask AGAIN what was going on, I was told it was in review and they could not tell me what or why, nor could I talk to a reviewer.

I checked tonight. It is now denied and it shows that I was contacted this morning. No one contacted me. I am fuming. I was finally discharged from therapy on January 31, 2019. My doctor still hasn’t released me. The doctor completed their required claim form, included the MRI report and wrote a letter. What could be their possible reason? I will be contacting the Ohio Department of Insurance, the Attorney General’s office and my attorney if needed. This is insurance fraud on their part.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Purchased Trip Mate when booking a two week Viking ocean cruise. On October the 26th, on the 8th day of the cruise, my Father suffered a heart attack while on the island of Curacao. That was the first time I read the reviews online regarding Trip Mate and Was very concerned having read all the negative reviews and was ready to go to war with Viking Cruises and Trip Mate. I was asked to keep an open mind and was assured that the claim would be handled fairly and in a timely manner.

The first four days passed without any issues. All the claim forms were provided via email almost immediately and per the treating physicians advice, my father was flown back to the US in first class with a nurse that Trip Mate flew to the Island of Curacao to meet him and to accompany him the entire way. I have to add that They were also prepared to fly him via private air ambulance jet should he require that level of support prior to his condition improving on the third and fourth day. During that same time my mother incurred hotel and other trip delay costs as well. All the costs of the repatriation were paid for without any issue directly and upfront by Trip Mate. To my surprise, so far so good. I have to add that to this point all calls were answered quickly and I received polite, friendly and concerned service. I was still surprised having read all the negative reviews.

Once back in the US I reviewed carefully the claim form. I had to wait over 30 days for St. Elisabeth hospital in Curacao to provide all the final invoices and for Viking cruises to do so as well. Once I gathered all the invoices and receipts and submitted all the information to Trip Mate including the original receipts for the cruise, costs incurred by my mother for hotel stay and food and all the Medical bills and medical reports, I submitted everything online with PDF copies of all the documents. I received confirmation of the received documents via Email within 12 hours and was able to confirm this online as well via a claim portal. I also called to confirm that everything was received and again received courteous, accurate and prompt service.

After a few weeks I could see online that the trip interruption and travel delay claims were processed and that a three payments for the FULL claimed amounts were processed. Again, I have to say that I was shocked given the bad reviews. About a week later I received all three checks. As for the medical reimbursement, I was refunded 90% of the cost by my own health insurance. Trip Mate advised that once I receive an explanation of benefits from my primary insurance policy that they would then finalize the medical portion claim.

To date, I've had ZERO complaints or issues with Trip Mate. I was surprised initially that Viking Cruises would use such a "shady Company" (based on the negative reviews of course). Turns out that they are not shady at all. I cannot explain all the negative reviews but felt compelled to share my own experience. All I can say is that I did provide a very detailed claim form with every piece of information requested. Having said this, given my experience with Trip Mate so far, I would highly recommend using Trip Mate. At least with a Viking Cruise... This was one of the easiest insurance claims experiences I ever had. Zero complaints. Everything was handled professionally and quickly.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Have contacted TripMate 31 times since 11-7-2018 and it is now 3-7-2019. When I call the person answering the phone tells you that they will note your call but they cannot pick up the phone and talk to the "claims" section to find out the progress of your claim. What is happening is this company is just "shuffling" paper back and forth and hopes that you will get frustrated with the wait and "gives up". In my case this saves them $1,200.00. Viking should not deal with this company - in fact - no one should deal with this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Never left a review before but I figured losing out on $800 warranted one. Filed my claim weeks before I was scheduled out. Did all the paperwork. Followed up by checking the “status” everyday and even called once and they said I had to atleast give them 30 days before they could give me an update. Well over a month later, checked the website, never updated anything from the day I filed the claim and then received a random letter saying it was denied after they said a couple days prior that they couldn’t update me... Horrible. I feel like they deny everyone. Worst insurance ever!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I submitted a claim in July 2018 and it has still not been settled. I have called the company more than a dozen times and have never been able to speak with a representative live. I always have to leave a number for a callback. When someone does call back, they have no idea what is going on with my claim. I am beyond frustrated. Do not recommend or use this company!!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Me and my fiance were scheduled to get married in March and follow it with a honeymoon trip to Germany. I bought round trip tickets for both of us as well as the suggested trip protection on the site for the trip in the event something were to happen and it had to be cancelled. Unfortunately, my fiance and I broke up and are no longer getting married. I have submitted all the documents that were requested for claiming a D refund and has been denied by email as well as supervisor and management. They state that no one can overturn the claim and there is absolutely nothing that can be done. Tickets aren't even transferable so now I have lost out on $1400 even though I purchased the suggested trip protection just in case an event like this would occur.

Completely useless and horrible company! I am in the process of working with my attorney to see what can be done and also going to the local news stations to make a segment out of it because apparently I'm not the only one that has been burned with this company with all of the terrible reviews online for them! Enraged customer, RICHARD **.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

No communication - never spoke with anyone from the company. Horrible experience. Do your research and go with another company. They send you no updates - you have to do all the legwork - wait times on the telephone is very long.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I paid $340.00 for travel insurance when I went to England in May. British Airways lost my luggage so the tour guide told me since I had insurance, I could spend up to $200 to get what I needed. I spent $97.00 on what I needed for a couple of days (socks, underwear, pj's and tee-shirts). I did get my luggage 3 days later. When I got home I put in a claim and it took 7 months of calling them constantly, asking them if they were a legitimate company and telling them that not one person had put in a good review for them. When I did get a check it was for $85.00. So, save your money, because it's not worth dealing with these people.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

We were on a Viking River Cruise in China (August 2018). The first night, my husband got food poisoning. The ship's doctor treated him for the remaining 6 days on the ship. We submitted our claim to Trip Mate who has stalled, requested additional information, denied, reopened and stalled some more. We still have not been paid and it is the end of January 2019! Ridiculous! Don't EVER use this company for travel insurance when there are so many others to chose from. This is who Viking recommends but purchase your insurance elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

We recently booked a trip on Viking for an April 2020 cruise. We put down a $1000 deposit and were encouraged by Viking to get travel insurance. Another $510 each. As the trip was fast approaching $10,000 in total, it sounded like a reasonable investment. How wrong we were. Long story short: Our daughter has advised us we need to be available in the Spring of 2020 for Grandparenting duties. Family first. So we canceled the trip with Viking. We were aware that there would be a cancellation fee of $100 x 2.

Fair enough. But despite never receiving any further information about the insurance -- no policy number, nothing in writing (we got lots from Viking), we were shocked to learn that the insurance fees were 100% NON-REFUNDABLE. It apparently says so in tiny type on the second page of an invoice where there's a link to a lengthy policy statement that says so. Along with a litany of other things they won't cover or do. but no one at Viking ever bothered to point this out. We simple expected Viking to be doing business with an insurance company as reputable as they try to be. How wrong we were.

On 1/24/19 we spoke with several people at Viking including Dee **, our original Viking contact; Viking Supervisor Cynthia ** and her boss, Drew **. They advised us with increasing inflexibility that, despite recognizing that there had been miscommunications and shortcomings on their end, there was nothing they could do. And, more important, nothing that they were willing to do. Not even try. In fact, they all emphatically defended TripMate and held it up as honorable. How wrong they are. So we are as shocked by Viking as we are with their partner, TripMate. They are obviously in bed together to wring as much money out of consumers as possible. Viking... You have spent millions to convince people like us that you run a class act. Your partner is a **. Sleep well.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

TripMate is fantastic - if you don't have any type of emergency or cancellation. I purchased insurance through TripMate for a month-long trip to Bhutan, India and Nepal. Just before our departure date my mother became ill and passed away. I had to cancel our trip one week before the departure date. I filed all of the required documentation with TripMate and they acknowledged receipt on 11/02/0218. It is now 01/24/2019 and I am still awaiting a refund of my money - approximately $17,000. I have called their customer service number several times and no one can explain to me what the issue is. I was told there was an "accounting problem" in December, but no one can tell me what the "problem" was.

This company is endorsed by OAT (Overseas Adventure Travel) so I hold them responsible as well. This is such a misappropriation of my money and a blatantly dishonest practice. How can a company take your money in 30 seconds but it takes over three months to return it? I've filed complaints with the State's Attorney's Office as well as the Better Business Bureau, and still no refund yet. It is totally unacceptable! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I purchased Trip Mate insurance through Overseas Adventure Travel for a trip to Bhutan and Nepal. Unfortunately, after the Bhutan leg ended and en route to Nepal, I had a serious fall and badly injured my leg. I was unable to walk and had to come home. I filed a fully documented "travel interruption" claim, complete with doctors' reports, tour leaders' statements and all financial documents related to trip costs as soon as I returned. This was mid-October of 2018. I began calling for status updates in mid-November. Call after call, phone cut-offs, vague blather from representatives. Finally, in late January I received an e-check for approximately $1500 LESS than it should have been. My experience, and those expressed by others in the reviews, should be a cautionary tale to anyone contemplating purchasing a policy from this company.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I planned trip to Israel. I have osteoarthritis of both hips and when I went to my dr. he said that I would not be able to do the walking that was required. So I cancelled the trip. I have been trying unsuccessfully since October to get a refund on the trip. I have provided the necessary physician’s statements and continue to call and only get customer service. Then two weeks later I received a note needing more physician’s information. These people are horrible, obviously I didn’t go on the trip as someone else took my room. I don’t understand why I can’t get my $4,000 back!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I purchased a Trip Mate policy for my mother when she planned on attending my Daughter's wedding. She got violently ill on the day she was scheduled to depart and could not make the flight. She was taken by ambulance to the hospital and she was there for 12 hours before she was released. Trip Mate says that because she didn't stay overnight at the hospital the claim for compensation was denied. I filled out detailed paperwork and submitted her family doctors evaluation and confirmation of her illness and still she was denied. Trip Mate took two months of processing before I even got this decision. Trip Mate is a scam. Don't do business with them.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Do not buy anything from this company. I have been trying now for 8 weeks to get my money back for a canceled trip due to a medical problem that caused me to have to cancel my round trip. I have done everything they asked and still no refund. They lie and they call back at the oddest times. They tell you nothing but one excuse after another. I am going to the attorney's office. I have never seen anything like this. Do not buy insurance from these people!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

My luggage was lost by Alitalia in August. I was gone almost 3 weeks and had to buy clothes, toiletries, luggage and shoes. Trip Mate paid me $238.00 for my expenses. Delta Air Lines paid me $1382.00 for my luggage and contents. I paid almost $700.00 for travel insurance and think they should pay me something. It’s been almost 5 months and I still haven’t gotten any payment.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

We had booked a riverboat cruise with Viking to Germany in September 2018 for December 2018 with insurance. Due to wife's severe health issue, we had to cancel and were approved for a refund on Nov. 20. I called Trip Mate the end of December to find the status of the check. They said that processing was slow due to holidays. The call I placed January 2, I was told payment would be 'any day'. The call I placed Jan. 7, they said that maybe the check would be issued next week. There should be some regulations on this industry. I will not recommend this cruise line or insurance company.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I had pneumonia and was unable to travel. I submitted all my documentation to Tripmate and it was approved November 26, 2018. I have called weekly asking where my refund is and when I can expect it. It is now JANUARY 9, 2019, A MONTH AND A HALF after approval and I still do not have my refund. I have contacted Overseas Adventure Travel to alert them of my problem with a refund. Should I ever receive a refund I will be very leery of traveling with OAT and never use TRIPMATE for travel insurance.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have seen other reviews with the same issues - the claim process. I've been traveling abroad for over a year. I've been traveling in countries with little infrastructure. I had damage to some electronics, which I claimed but they kept demanding documents that were impossible to obtain in the country I was in. A friend helped me translate to get a written note on company marked paper by the tech. I spent so much time calling Trip Mate and getting cut off to get them to accept this.

After 6 months I received payment. I had an accident back in September. I fixed the claim and it was paid. Apparently there is a fine print electronic contact option. I understand it was for email contact about my claim but it turns out it includes receiving claims via eCheck, which I can't use if I'm abroad!! The representative was unbelievably rude and condescending to me. I finally convinced her to reissue my checks and have them sent to the company in the US that handles my mail and check deposits. I confirmed the address with her twice and told her it's the same as my last check but it is NOT the same as the policy address. That was October 31, 2018.

The money has disappeared. My best guess is that she sent it to the policy address which is in a part of Chicago that I never had ANYTHING sent to because it gets stolen. This is not a small amount of money for medical bills! I'm so frustrated and at a loss as to what to do now. The very nature of the company is travel yet the system makes it near impossible if you are anywhere other than the "developed" world. It has for me so much time and money to deal with this company that it's not worth the so called protection it advertised.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I went on a Grand Circle Cruise, in Germany, last June. It was a riverboat cruise, and we were in a different city every day, for 2 and a half weeks. The cruise was wonderful, the staff were all helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly. A few days before the cruise ended, I fell down steps on the boat, and came to surrounded by crew and passengers, who all thought I was dead -- until I opened my eyes. The captain called for an ambulance to take me to the hospital, and my brother accompanied me. I spent a few hours in one hospital, then they transferred me to another hospital, to an intensive care unit. I was monitored throughout the night, and the next morning, all my vital signs were normal. My brother and I left the hospital, to get on a train, so that we could rejoin the cruise - the boat had already moved to the next destination. The crew filed a report about the incident.

After I returned home, my primary doctor immediately ordered further tests, and I had 2 brain MRIs, had multiple cardiology exams, etc. I gathered all my information about the incident, after I had received bills from the German hospitals. Although their site says their goal is to settle claims within 30 days, it has now been almost 6 months since they received my claim. They did reimburse my brother and me, for the one night we were not on the boat. I have spoken to them numerous times, providing the same information every time, and all I get is "the claims department is working on it." At this point, I'm about ready to file a claim against them. I have paid my hospital bills, with late fees, and think Trip Mate owes me my money, with interest, for the lengthy process which has still not ended.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Unfortunately I had to cancel a trip to Spain & Portugal scheduled to depart at the end of October. I canceled the trip with Globus on 10/1/18, upon Dr. orders. I contacted Trip Mate insurance to file a claim for the land package portion the same day. As with all other reviewers' statements, it has been a never ending process of inept & frustrating phone calls & callbacks. It is true that you can never get through to a customer service agent, and must always schedule a callback. I received my refund by Globus (pre & post nights) within days, and am still waiting for Trip Mate! My documents were received on 10/22/18. And the 30 day “goal” was stated in their recording when I called for a status update.

I waited until 11/28/18 to call again, after checking the online claim site. It showed as “EOB complete, payment pending.” I was again quoted another 7-10 days, and the Hurricane excuse was brought up again. At 10 days I called again, and got another 7-10 days from representative. On 12/18/18 It was updated to “payment processing, inserted via EOB.” On 12/26/18 it updated to “payment processing E-Check pending,” so I called again. Yet another 7-10 days quoted, and they passed the buck to Deluxe. I called Deluxe, and the representative there flat out said they lied. They do nothing but provide E-Check service, but Trip Mate is solely responsible for logging in to E-sign checks and sending. Called again, was told checks are issued in batches, so it’s another 7-10 day “goal!”

Clearly the only thing they do well is stall, delay, make excuses, and pass the buck. Glassdoor reviews by actual employees of Trip Mate validate all consumer complaints and reviews. I have another trip in April to Venice, and took the insurance. I wanted to cancel it after this experience, but my agent said they would not refund the premium. If necessary, I will arrive in Venice in a wheelchair against Dr’s orders before I cancel & file a claim again. I will NEVER use Trip Mate again, and have advocated with the Globus liaison to find another insurance provider with some integrity & competence. Trip Mate is a bad faith Company, whose only concern is hoping you will give up, so they can keep your $. BTW, the President & CEO made $790,000, gave himself a $800,000 bonus, and a comp package of roughly $800,000. His name is J. Patrick Gallagher Jr. I will be contacting him shortly, in addition to my complaint filed with the BBB & here.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I purchased a policy through Trip Assure for my daughter-in-law's plane ticket to Scotland. Because she was not sure about getting off from work, I purchased "Cancel for any Reason" insurance. This is pricier than regular insurance, and it only pays 75% of the original purchase, which I understood. We knew she would not be able to go about a week before the flight so I started the claim process after calling the airline and cancelling the non-refundable flight. This was the end of June.

After 5 months of calls and getting the runaround from the insurance company, my claim was denied. They said the flight was never cancelled, and I had called the airline several times to be sure it was on record as cancelled. The airline told me numerous times that while they do not issue written cancellations, the insurance company need only call them for verification, and that all insurance companies know this. My word against the insurance company's and all they said I could do was put in an appeal. Appeal for what? Cancel For any reason! Fortunately, the airline has felt sorry for me after all I have been through dealing with this insurance company, and they worked out an acceptable arrangement with this unused ticket. As far as I am concerned, this company is fraudulent, and I will never purchase from them again.

Resolution response: Jan. 5, 2019

I have been contacted by TRIP MATE and they have made an agreement to pay the claim. I am very relieved that I will be repaid for this large medical bill. As of now, I'm waiting for a check.
    I increased the Consumer Affairs star rating to a 2 star. The last representative I spoke with was very pleasant and efficient. She actually took the time to look at the claim. Any questions delaying payment were cleared in a short time.

However, I feel that my claim was handled promptly only after I made numerous complaints, including the Better Business Bureau. That is not good customer service. I will withdraw my BBB complaint after reimbursement.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

First of all, as I understand it, TRIP MATE is a claim processing agency for numerous insurance companies. We purchased comprehensive travel insurance from a company called Travel Safe. When I had the misfortune to need to make a claim, I had to deal with TRIP MATE. After reading reviews here and other sites, it's very obvious that this company uses the same stall tactics and pre-determined “answers” again and again. Customer representatives are unable to tell you anything specific about a claim. Supervisors are not available. Online status notations are vague.

At this point, I am waiting for reimbursement of a nearly 10K hospital bill that I was required to pay up front. Apparently medical insurance is only valid if the customer pays first. I suppose if the bill is more than you can pay, TRIP MATE avoids liability. Kind of like if you have home insurance, your home burns, and the company refuses to pay anything until you rebuild your house and file a claim! I will update this review after the outcome. As of now, I’m waiting a month and a half with no indication that my claim is even being processed.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

On September 7, 2018 I had to cancel a trip due to health problems. I had booked the flight through cheapoair.com with United Airlines. The airlines refunded part of my ticket fee and the traveler insurance I purchase through Trip Mate, Inc, Kansas City MO was to refund the rest. They received all the claim forms, billing invoice, and physician's statements needed. I have e-mails stating they have received all information. It has been about three months and they will not pay the claim, the only way to contact them is by phone and when I call, if they return, they give excuses like, "Is still in review, give it a few days," or "Is should ok by weekend." Will never use this company again.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

My husband and I purchased a trip through Vermont Bicycle Tour (VBT) to Paris and Normandy leaving August 29 and returning September 14. We purchased the protection package offered through VBT when we signed up which was Trip Mate. On July 27, 2018 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Treatment needed to start quickly so the breast surgeon and oncologist advised against the trip. I emailed Jen ** at VBT who gave me the information on reporting a claim with Trip Mate. Trip Mate was contacted July 30 and claim forms requested. Claim forms were completed by me and overnighted to Trip Mate. Those forms were received by (per the Claim Status website) Trip Mate August 10, 2018. A copy of the pathology report was sent along with the claim form. There was no note or attachment for Physician Statement.

When there was no follow up from Trip Mate by the 28th of August, I phoned them and asked if any further documentation was required. The customer service person stated that from what she could tell, the underwriters had all the information necessary and would be getting back to me. On 9/12/18 I again phoned customer service to request status update. Their phone message while on hold, states that the goal for turn around on claims is 30 days. Since 30 days had passed, there should have been some word.

Customer service again told me that all documents were received for my claim. However, they were inundated with hurricane claims and backlogged. Claims were reviewed in order received. So I wasn't clear how the hurricane claims were impacting my paperwork. Then on 9/26/2018 I received notice that an Attending Physician Statement was needed to move forward with my claim. The customer service person told me that one was attached to the original email which was not true. My doctor completed the document and it was overnighted to Trip Mate. Received by them on 10/1/2018.

I phoned Customer Service again on 10/5/2018 and 10/19/2018. Received the hurricane excuse again. When I accused them of just waiting 30 days and then coming up with another item that is needed so the 30 day clock can start again, I was told, "We don't play those games." Customer service also told me that the 30 day turn around "Was just a goal." Finally, on 11/6/2018, I emailed Jen ** at VBT requesting assistance with settling my Trip Mate claim. Jen referred me to their Guest Services Manager, Mike ** who was my life saver and hero. Mike ** apparently followed up with Trip Mate because on 11/7/2018 I received a voice mail from Kyle ** at Trip Mate who stated that our claim was being resolved and the two refund checks would be issued.

Two weeks later after no checks were received, I phoned Kyle ** directly at the phone number (**) he left on my voice mail. He did not answer nor did he return my call that time or the next 3 times on 11/20 and 11/21/and 11/26 that I left him messages. So again on 11/27/2018 I phoned Trip Mate Customer Service and spoke with Victoria. She was the most helpful and "caring" person in Customer Service that had ever communicated with me. She tried calling Kyle ** but no answer. She then phoned her supervisor while I was on hold only to let me know that the checks were in the accounting office and would be issued as echecks.

"Due to the Thanksgiving Holiday, the checks would be delayed until end of the week." My answer was that we never should have been talking about Thanksgiving when the claim was sent in August. An email was sent by me to Mike ** at VBT to give him an update on the latest communication. Once before and again this correspondence, I encouraged Mike to have VBT partner with another travel protection package. Mike responded that he had a phone call scheduled with the Sr VP of Trip Mate for 11/28/2018 to try and understand what happened with this claim. Mike had been told by others that there were glitches with the accounting software at Trip Mate.

On 12/5/2018, I emailed Mike ** that no checks and no communication from Trip Mate had been received. He responded by 12/6/18 and said he was checking with Trip Mate to see what was going on and I could expect an apology from Trip Mate. There was a voice mail message from Debbie McCaffrey, Senior Vice President at Trip Mate on 12/6/2018 apologizing for the very long delay. They had some system issues. She would have the checks finalized "tomorrow" and send to my email address.

No checks were received by Friday the 7th of December although a Beverly did phone me on the 7th from Trip Mate to let me know that because of year end bookkeeping, the accounting office was backlogged. However, there should be echecks emailed by Monday or Tues the 10th or 11th of December. Nothing by 12/12/18 so I again emailed Mike ** at VBT who emailed Debbie McCaffrey again and copied me on the email. Both refund checks were emailed to my husband and myself that same day.

Mike ** is worth his weight in gold for helping us through this ordeal. VBT is a great tour company and I would not hesitate to used them again. However, I will seek out any other protection package than Trip Mate. In Debbie McCaffrey's email to me, she thanked me for my understanding. My response was that there was no way I understood how they could treat customers this way nor how they could remain in business.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Trip Mate is the WORST company I have ever experienced in my fifty years on this earth. They a total and complete scam. After submitting a claim, the first thing they do is tell you that you will have to wait thirty days before you can get paid. Then, they tell you that they are having "accounting" problems which are delaying payment of the claim. These "accounting" problems have been going on for over a month.

I first submitted my claim on October 18th. Today is December 19th and they keep telling me that they can't pay me due to the same "accounting" problems. The only accounting problem they have is that either they don't have any money to pay me and/or, as you can read in other reviews, they simply never intended on paying my claim in the first place. How any airline company can offer Trip Mate as a flight insurance option is bait and switch. Such companies know full and well how big of a scam Trip Mate is, but yet they still offer the insurance.

According to business law, any airline company offering Trip Mate as an insurance option has an "agency" relationship with them. Therefore, the actions of Trip Mate should be held accountable to the said airline company. In the event that anyone affiliated with my claim is reading this review, I have a newsflash - either Trip Mate pays my claim or Silently into the night I will not go. For the record, I can be loud - VERY LOUD at that.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

My husband and I booked our Honeymoon in February for October and 1 paid in full (roughly $5,500) along with purchasing travel insurance. One week before our vacation my husband ended up at the hospital and urgent care a total of 3 times and once was the day we were supposed to be headed to the airport. We submitted countless document/proof and a doctor’s note on 6 different occasions because the company kept claiming they “didn’t receive it.” They say their policy is to process refunds in 30 days. Here we are 4 months later and we have still not received our money back! OUTRAGEOUS! I have spoken to over 15 different account reps and supervisors who have done nothing but given me the run around and I am told a different story each time.

When you call you can never reach anyone. You have to put your phone number in and hope you are available when they call back several hours later. I have purchased travel insurance with a few other companies and have never had to go through this nightmare of a process! I am not sure how these people are trained but it’s not consistent. I will be reporting them to the BBB and next step is unfortunately going to be a lawsuit. Outrageous and horrible service!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Worst ** service possible. First time they sent the check under the wrong name, second time they gave me the wrong email to send our document. Unfortunately there is no complaint system or rating system in place that really makes you avoid their service, but please, avoid if possible. Only wish I can give a ** star. Btw the trip was in 2015 and we are still expecting the cheque today.

Trip Mate Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.

• 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.

• Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.

• 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.

• Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.

• Best for: Party animals, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky