1.09/5
Based on 139 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for travel insurance?

Last updated: April 23, 2018

280 Trip Mate Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 23, 2018

I purchased "Cancel For Any Reason" travel insurance from Trip Mate for a mission trip to Kenya. The trip was cancelled due to Political Unrest by the receiving organization in Kenya. Immediately, I applied sent in my request to get cost of plane ticket back in September 2017. They asked for more receipts, proof on cancellation, etc. which I provided. They took weeks for each transaction to reply. In January they sent a denial letter, using all the information they asked for against me. I appealed, requesting only the 75% reimbursement for the plane ticket. My claim was still denied, even though I purchased the "cancel for any reason" benefit. This company should NOT be allowed to do business with anyone. Do Not Use TripMate Travel Insurance.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Our Experience has been dreadful. We had insurance, as my father-in-law was ill and we needed to travel. The doctors said it should be OK. Sadly he died while we were away and we had to buy emergency tickets back home. The only tickets were business class at a great expense. We sent all the information requested including death certificate and invoices. After 5 months we found a notice "Closed due to lack of Information." NO contact requesting extra information, no response at all. SO we are left with nowhere to go except expressing our deep dissatisfaction with this company. KEEP AWAY. They are not efficient and I would also query how they treat people in difficult circumstances and possibly looking for ways to avoid valid payments.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I planning a great value vacations in April for August and paid in full, so was eligible for Pre-existing Condition status. I have had osteoarthritis in left knee for years but never canceled due to it. In late July, my doctor identified "acute osteoarthritis patella femora" and advised not to travel. Trip Mate would not accept the difference. All paperwork was in in a week and all the delay tactics mentioned by others occurred. After additional letters from my doctor and my filing a complaint with the Missouri Department of Insurance three months ago, I received notice from Trip Mate that they would be paying my claim of $1733.00, almost nine months since filing.

Without the tenacity needed to fight this extremely poor travel company and the reporting to the Missouri State Dept. of Insurance. I might still be waiting. My next move was to file a complaint with the Missouri Attorney General and they knew it. I wrote letters to the President/CEO of each company and got the same ** - from Trip Mate and never heard back from Great Value Vacations. The latter was almost as responsible as they assigned my insurance to Trip Mate. Advice - always check the internet on the insurance company before accepting their policy. I will next time.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Booked a trip with Viking Ocean and had to cancel Jan 26th due to surgery for a trip in April. We cancelled many months prior to trip and received a prompt refund from Viking but have been getting the run around from Trip Mate even though they admit they have all of the information to give us a refund. I had a conference call with Viking and Trip Mate 2 weeks ago at which time they said they would send the money within 5 days. They continually say they will send the refund but have no explanation as to why it is being delayed.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I filed a claim, legitimate and completed by Jan. 24 for a March 22nd trip. Trip Mate Insurance has yet to pay me the money due. Representatives are polite but totally ineffective. This is a scam to keep your money as long as possible. Tripmate was recommended by CheapOair... It figures. HORRENDOUS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: April 18, 2018

When travelling, I have always purchased trip insurance never expecting to use it. The trip I planned for our birthday in February this year had to be cancelled due to a health emergency. On January 17, 2018, I turned to my insurance provider, Trip Mate, to file a claim to be reimbursed for my travel expenses as soon as I cancelled my trip. I was immediately sent the claim information and all the necessary forms to complete for the claim. I returned all of the necessary forms via download on February 15. I was immediately sent an acknowledgement letter on February 15. I checked the claim status numerous times with no update shown.

On April 5, I called to check the status. I was told that they could not estimate how much longer it would take to process the claim and receive my refund. I was also told that they had all of the information needed to process my claim. It has been almost two weeks since that time. Trip Mate is either extremely inefficient or purposely delaying refunding the amount in hopes that I will forget about my claim. I assure them that I will not forget. They are holding on to my hard earned money. I will also do all I can to inform other potential customers of their deceitful practices. I have notified my travel agent who will no longer use Trip Mate for their clients. Additionally, my attorney is my next call.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I purchased trip insurance for a River Cruise. My partner passed away unexpectedly before we could travel. The insurance was promoted as "covers everything" resulting in trip delay or cancellation. It's been 2 months since I filed my claims. The service is horrible. It took over a week for them to acknowledge they received my paperwork (which was emailed). Every time you call you get the same line "It is taking longer than usual for claims processing. We apologize for the delay." If you hang on line long enough you might get a real person, but most of the time you are put into a call back queue. When you do get to talk to someone, they only say, "It's all pending and we are reviewing." I had 2 claims, one for the trip cancellation of my partner and 1 for the increase in my fare (single supplement) to continue the trip.

Both filed the same time and under the same claim number. The fare was close to $4000 each and all they want to pay is $584. When asked for an explanation of the huge difference in ticket cost and benefits, they repeatedly say, "That is maximum allowed under the plan you purchased." I read every line of all 14 pages and nowhere does it have amounts or calculations for "maximum allowed". Most references are trip cost. They have only processed one part of the claim after all this time. The single supplement portion is - you guessed it "being reviewed and pending". The only time they update the status log on the claim tracking is after one of my many phone calls and not even all of them.

They also made the payee of the benefit the deceased. I was the one who paid for the insurance. Any and all refunds should go to the purchaser. Trying to get that changed, I was told it would take a couple of weeks to stop payment and change payee. They hadn't mailed the check out yet. Still had it on premise but it was going to take weeks to fix. Then they tell me if I want to dispute the benefit payment, I will need to receive the check, cash it and then re-file all the paperwork and it will take a minimum of 30 more days to get the case re-reviewed. They are hoping most people will just give up. I filed a complaint with the BBB in their home state and it seems like there are over 400 complaints against them. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Trip Mate is a ripoff. They refuse to pay claims. I have been fighting a claims since Oct. 2017. CONTACT THE DEPARTMENT AND INSURANCE AND MAKE A CLAIM. After I made a claim with the Department of Insurance, Trip Mate PAID... six months later.

Original review: April 12, 2018

After being hijacked on my way to my flight, I missed my flight. Giving all my details to TRIP MATE I am still waiting for payment after 5 months. On inquiries they states that they are busy with a number of clients before me. Can we form a Class Action against them? Any others in the same boat?

Original review: April 6, 2018

I should explain that I had surgery on my foot last August. My trip was for early March. I book the flight in November, as I thought my foot would be better by March, it wasn't. What makes me really angry is that I called Trip Mate before I cancelled my flight (to make sure the issue was covered), they said it was!!! If they had been upfront with me and said it wasn't, I would have gone ahead and gone on the trip. I would have stayed in the hotel room 80% of the time, with only leaving to get food (Hotel did not provide room service). But I am not in a position to toss money to into the wind. This is a horrible company to do business with. Please save yourself the grief. Listen to me, I'm trying to help you. I will keep yacking about this company until I am satisfied I have exposed them for their lies, all $162.00 worth!

Original review: April 5, 2018

Three couples booked a cruise on Viking, and all took the Trip Mate Insurance at the time of the booking (cancel for any reason). One of our traveling party died before the cruise. We have been 5 months now trying to get reimbursed for his portion of the cruise cost, to no avail. As of yesterday they are denying our claim.

Original review: April 5, 2018

They do everything and anything to avoid having to pay a claim. It took two hours to submit my claim online because they require so much information to prove your case. My bags were lost by the airline and I submitted all the documentation I had. I then received an email saying that they needed even more proof and would not reimburse me.

Original review: April 4, 2018

A meeting I had in Washington, DC was rescheduled to another date. I placed insurance on the original ticket. I received a letter from Trip Mate denial the claim. The probability of the events happening listed to approve the claim is extremely low. Trip Mate is a Scam and should be investigated. I want to launch a class action lawsuit against them immediately.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I purchased travel insurance with Trip Mate/World Nomads underwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. On December 27, 2017 for a volunteer trip to Ghana which I had planned for January 27, 2018 until Apri 22, 2018. Two days before I was due to leave I started having chest discomfort. I went to my doctor and he said he wanted to run further test to see what was happening with my heart. I called Trip Mate before I cancelled my trip and told them what my doctor had said. They never informed me that if I cancel my trip because I had not commenced my trip that I would not be able to fill a claim. What was I suppose to do? Go on my trip sick not knowing the extent of my illness?

This entire company is a scam, trip interruption should be just that not just a design to get people to believe that if they had to cancel their trip they can at least recover some of the expenses paid. Their other escape clause is their pre-existing statement which states that if the illness which caused the trip interruption happens 90 before the coverage starts the protection would not be in effect. What a bunch of hogwash. Again the entire company is a scam set up to take people's money by giving the false impression that they have some type of coverage if unexpected incidences occurred.

Original review: March 28, 2018

My wife and I planned what we thought would be a great winter getaway to Jamaica. After looking so forward to this trip for weeks, my father had a heart attack and passed. This was hard enough to swallow but priority is family. So lucky I bought insurance, Right? So wrong. I immediately contacted my travel agent. She submitted the paperwork and also sent the death certificate 10 days later. My father passed on Jan 3, 2018. It is now March 28. We are close to 3 month and I have not received a thing. My travel agent has contacted them weekly and gets the same answer: "We will process this claim next week" or "We are going to make this one priority." Three month and the same runaround. Beware, Beware, Beware!!! I feel now I have to go to the next step legally. Should we have to do this?

Original review: March 23, 2018

After some reviews which I wish I had done before I purchased my trip insurance, I totally agree with the review that states "Trip Mate is the absolutely worst company ever in the history of the world." I had left on a business trip to India, but was delayed a day in Boston. During the night my wife calls me to let me know that mom went into the hospital and didn't have long to live. I cancelled my flight and returned home and she did pass the next day.

The Airline refunded the cost of my unused trip, but would not refund the cost of the trip from Cleveland to Boston. I submitted the paperwork for the difference including the death certificate, attending physician's statement, the amount refunded, and all the receipts. I was only asking for 10% of the total cost. They denied my claim. NO AIRLINE, PERSON, or OTHER BUSINESS should ever partner with this firm ever again. From reading some the reviews here and my own personal experience, this company is a scam artist and should be prosecuted by the FTC.

Original review: March 23, 2018

The reason for my review is: to warn people how terrible, awful, frustrating, unreachable by phone, Trip Mate is. My advice: Don't do it! Bottomline... I got my MONEY 9 months after I submitted my claim... After calling, calling, calling, month after month. I finally called the underwriter, who called TripMate... And PRESTO! I got through to the claims examiner. Who said, and you will laugh, that the check was in the mail. My advice. #1. Fill out their form perfectly. #2.Get substantiated documents from your MD or hospital and enclose with your claim form. #3. Remember, it is their interest to not pay. Don’t give up and good luck.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Our flight was canceled due to bad weather and we had to get a hotel room for 2 nights and buy warmer clothes seeing we were on a warm vacation and coming home to blizzard. It has been over a month since my claim was filed and I too keep getting the same runaround. It should be finalized in a week. I will be calling them weekly to try and get updates. Family members that we traveled with and used a different insurance company have already received their claim money. We are frequent travelers and I will never use this insurance company again.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Very disappointed as the airline made an error with my ticket and booked the wrong days. It was the correct times but they changed the dates by one day and I had insurance to protect me but that is not true. Thanks for taking my money and I will absolutely never ever, did I say ever use them again. If I could I would give them a negative score.

Original review: March 14, 2018

My husband went to his aunt's funeral in Ohio, but on the way back American Airlines delayed the flight for hours because the crew hadn't had sufficient rest and legally couldn't fly for about 5 hours. Of course he missed his connecting flight, but they put him on another plane that should have made it in time for the last leg of the trip on a small commuter plane. That other flight they put him on was delayed for another 3 hours sitting on the tarmac at O'Hare. Of course he missed the final flight and had to purchase a new ticket in order to get home. After waiting for 6 months, we have a letter from TripMate saying that the airline was not completely shut down for 12 hours or more. What?!? We called, they said the claim is closed. If we want to appeal we have to resubmit everything along with a written formal request to re-open it. They should be shut down.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Trip Mate is the absolutely worst company ever in the history of the world. My fiancé died while on vacation and this company treated me like crap and delayed the claim for an year. I submitted the death certificate and receipts and they tied me up in a never ending process. The government should investigate this wicked company.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Trip Mate denied my claim when I cancelled my trip. They sent a letter stating that I didn't meet the requirements of their reimbursement. I had submitted a form signed by my doctor. He stated that it was difficult for me to be able to walk for 30 minutes which is a requirement given me at the time of the booking. I explained all of this to a Trip Mate agent when I called to cancel my trip. The representative stated that I had a "pre-existing" condition.

On my Medical Form, the doctor stated that I had previous back surgery. I advised her that my back surgery was nearly 60 years ago and certainly that could hardly constitute a "pre-existing" condition. I explained to her that the numbness in my legs occurred just recently, and that the Tour Company had advised me that there was a lot of walking, and getting on and off smaller vessels - and that balance is very important. The Trip Mate agent apologized, but said there was nothing she could do about it - but I could file a complaint with the 'Appeals Unit' which I did. I have heard nothing as yet. Incidentally, I cancelled my trip in November of 2017. I received the letter of denial in March of 2018.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I purchased a trip in Expedia in September of 2017, and purchased a trip to South Africa departing in January, 2018. In December, I visited a cardiologist who advised me not to travel further and get an angioplasty that revealed blockages and the need for surgery. I canceled my trip with Expedia who immediately canceled and refunded my hotel and land portions once they received the physician’s statement that I should not travel. The airfare portion was covered by TripMate.com. I filed the required paperwork and days then weeks passed. I was not about to wait for months to pass as others did on here.

Nevertheless, I finally contacted their offices and was told that the delay in resolving my claim was due to “the many other disasters” they were handling. I replied that that was unfortunate, but other insurance companies are also handling claims from disasters and that is part of their business... not a reason for an excuse to make customers wait endless amounts of time. Complained with my state’s insurance commissioner. My telephone calls are indicated, with not much happening afterward. However, right I asked for a supervisor I was told there was no one else I could speak with and that claims adjusters “do not speak with passengers.” I hung up and filed an ONLINE COMPLAINT with my state’s insurance commissioner. After TripMate.com was contacted by my state’s official agency, my claim suddenly went right into processing and I’m now awaiting for my claim to be paid.

When I called after the insurance complaint was filed and received by TripMate, I was told that they would only speak with the state’s insurance commission as they had escalated my claim to their legal department. I contacted my state’s insurance commission immediately afterward and was told that this was a nonsensical answer. Shortly thereafter, my claim was moved to closure. I’m awaiting my claim check. I’m not sure how much longer it will take, but I imagine anytime now. Besides, I’m farther along than most people on here. If I do not receive my full claim, I’ll file yet another update on here, and with the Consumer Affairs Protection Unit of my state with the Attorney General’s Office. Don’t give up! File a complaint with your state’s Department of Insurance Commission! You’ll see your case “suddenly” move along. If they deny you, go to your state’s Attorney General’s Office!

Original review: March 9, 2018

After waiting 43 days for my ticket to be reimbursed from a canceled ticket, TripMate simply updated their minimal website with a denial of paying 1800 for 2 first class air tickets to United purchased through Fare Buzz.

Original review: March 7, 2018

There is probably a reason they do not participate in ConsumerAffairs certification. We just canceled a trip with Viking Cruises and they unfortunately use TripMate. The process, in our case, due to medical illness that is ongoing, is a 7 plus page process and requires HIPAA information which I do not see that they are certified to handle but if you do not submit an attending physician's statement, they will not process the claim. I have all the hospital admitting and discharge information to prove the claim but not good enough. Sort of stupid on their part, why plan a trip, pay for it, then cancel. I am not making any money on this, in fact, losing money. In the future, I will use my credit card's travel insurance.

Original review: March 7, 2018

We purchased a South America cruise through Star Destinations, and purchased the travel cancellation insurance through Trip-Mate. We were to leave on our trip January 4, 2018. On December 26, 2017, the day after Christmas, my wife suffered a massive heart attack (totally unexpected) and we were unable to go on our trip. I filed the claim that very day, December 26th, and all paperwork was into Trip Mate by January 2, 2018.

I was originally told it would be 30 days from the date that the final paperwork was received, which should put it at the beginning of February. Today is March 6th, and the claim still hasn't been paid. I am so frustrated. I have called repeatedly once a week to inquire and check it online every single day. Each person says that is should be 'any day now.' Starting next week, I plan to call them each and every day. In the future, I plan to insure with anyone but Trip Mate. They are the absolute worst. This is the first time I've ever had to make a claim, although we've purchased the insurance many times.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Well I'm not glad I'm joining the group of unhappy clients. I don't know how many unhappy customers it takes for some type of legal action to take place. It sure looks like some lawyer or legal service should look into this company. I am like everybody else on this list. Told to check back, being reviewed, "We have your paperwork and now we can't find your claim." Please have someone look into this company. Stop them from selling a service they are not providing. DO NOT BUY if you do see if you can claim it on your taxes as a donation because you will get nothing in return. I hope whoever received my money get what they desire answer to a HIGHER POWER.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Baggage delay provisions in my contract were clear (so I thought). But upon filing my claim and the many follow-ups, which took forever because it was hard to contact them, I was eventually told that there was another provision (not in my contract), that caused them to deny my claim. It became apparent that this company will invent provisions in order not to pay out a claim. With so many complaints against this company, how come no lawyer has yet taken a class-action lawsuit to put them out of business? I'll participate in class action lawsuit.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

We have traveled the world for the past 25 years. In that time we have used many trip insurance companies. This past December we were booked on a Grand Circle trip of the European Christmas markets. Trip Mate was the insurance co. In all the 25 years we have had nothing but success with insurance. Not with Trip Mate. We are beginning to believe that this is a sham organization. We filed a claim due illness with doctors information and everything needed. Every time we call we are told that it's been approved however nothing happens. We travel internationally 2-4 times a year. This will be the first and the last time for Trip Mate. Travelers be very careful about this company!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I have been pursuing a reimbursement for a delayed travel (due to weather) for over 6 months. It is only a couple hundred $, but there is no excuse as to why they have not paid the claim yet, as I provided all the necessary documentation. I have read all the other reviews of Trip Mate on this site and no one has had a positive experience with them. I only wish I would have read the reviews before I paid for the insurance! NEVER AGAIN!

Trip Mate Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.

• 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.

• Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.

• 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.

• Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.

• Best for: Party animals, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky