1.09/5
Based on 118 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for travel insurance?

Trip Mate Insurance

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

250 Trip Mate Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Submitted a claim 6 months prior to the departure date complete with doctors' explicit details regarding the reasons for cancellation. Now it is three months prior and I have to call every other week to reach anyone and all they say is they are forwarding the claim. Why bother having trip insurance? They're taking money without reimbursing anything back. I will not travel with any company that uses Trip Mate as their insurance backer.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I purchased a protection plan for my daughters trip to Barranquilla, Colombia. The main reason for taking out the insurance was due to her anxiety and not knowing if she would be able to complete the trip that she so desired to take. The day the trip arrived she was not able to go because her anxiety went into full force panic attack. After completing the requirement for a refund back in August, we just now find out that we were denied reimbursement. The reason they stated because she was not hospitalized. Obviously they do not understand Anxiety and might want to educate their company employees on what anxiety truly is! A hospital stay for 72 hours does not cure anxiety!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Bought insurance in June 2017 Cancelled Sept 2017 for an African Safari costing over $12,000.00. Had to cancel due to my husband wounds and dementia. To date I have nothing. This company seems to be a scam.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

In August of 2017 my girlfriend and I booked a fairly costly trip to Spain. For the first time in my life I elected to purchase travel insurance through Tripmate. A week or two before the trip I received terrible news that my 29 year old brother had passed away. Given the tragic circumstances my girlfriend and I cancelled the trip and cancelled prior to the trip departure date. After 4 1/2 months of back and forth transcripts and sending death certificates to these idiots, this disgusting insurance company DENIED our claim for reimbursement. My immediate family member passes away and you deny the claim!?! I have hired professional legal services and will be pursuing legally so these scumbags do not get away with these disgusting immoral acts. These people are the bottom of the bottom and their terrible reviews support this.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I had a dental emergency requiring a root canal in Poland. The trip was stopped for 3 days. Cost of root canal $500. Claim denied after a 6 month period of letters sent back and forth requesting more and more information. The website is useless and simply shows letters and file entries of when letters or information requested. Totally worthless insurance. Don't buy this crap. Excuses for delays was the hurricanes in the USA.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

My very simple claim for reimbursement of $300+ airfare due to a trip cancellation (by a touring company, not by me) has taken over 90 days when I was told the claims would be complete in 30 days. Every time I've called, phone reps have said, "It's being processed," with absolutely no elaboration. When calling - which I have numerous times - the phone prompt encourages callers to check their claim online. Each time, I checked. Nothing other than notations about dates of my calls. Not a word about where the claim was in the process. A few times, I've remained on the line, waiting for a real live person. After 20 or more minutes, I'm forced to leave a call back number or the line goes dead. I've left callback numbers and have received calls well over 24 to 36 hours later. If I don't answer, I lose my place and must start all over.

My claim required five pieces of paper, each with one to five sentences; all with easy-to-read contact numbers and data for verification. A week ago, frustrated, I told a phone rep (who was especially snarky from the outset) that the people in processing had to be retarded not to process my claim any faster. She hung up on me. So much for training personnel how to handle irate customers. I've since asked for a supervisor who has, to his credit, called me three times with the following news: "Your claim is being processed." I would recommend travelers NOT use Trip Mate for travel insurance. Research other options. Trip Mate is recommended by the touring company handling our vacation to France, which is why I used it in the first place. I've complained to Globus that the recommended vendor provides shoddy customer service.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

We purchased insurance because we had booked a cruise and then, a week later, discovered that my husband had a small tumor that would require surgery. We purchased insurance in January and our trip was in July so we had lots of time for his recovery but, surgery always has risks. We paid for the full trip 3 days after we purchased our insurance--proof of our optimistic outlook. My husband did not recover as quickly as expected. Moreover, after the surgery his doctors told him he would need 5 months of post-surgical chemo and radiation therapy. This was totally unexpected. So we cancelled the trip in May.

Trip Mate accused us of knowing when we purchased the insurance that we would cancel and refused our application for reimbursement. We appealed on the ground that our January assessment of the situation, when we purchased the insurance, was that we would be able to take the trip and the proof was in the facts that (a) we paid the full trip cost very soon after buying the insurance and (b) we could have walked away from the trip in January with only a $200 penalty whereas, instead, we paid over $1400 for insurance. What fool would pay all that money instead of a $200 penalty if they expected to cancel? We were given vouchers for (half) of another trip. We appealed again and finally, after 7 months they sent us a check for the cancellation fee of 50% of the trip. They are either illogical or dishonest. Buy insurance from another company.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

In August of 2017 I developed a bacteria in my blood and was diagnosed with Endocarditis. The bacteria had attacked my aortic valve. On September 1st, 2017 I coded. After CPR was performed on me to get my heart started back, I was put on a ventilator for a week in which time my kidneys failed and had to go on dialysis and a piece of the vegetation from the bacteria broke off and went to my brain causing a stroke. Ultimately, on September 14th, 2017 I had open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve.

I was released from the hospital on September 21st. I was on at-home antibiotics through a port line 3x a day for 6 weeks, until October 23rd. I had a trip planned to Maui, Hawaii leaving October 11th and returning October 20th that was booked through Delta Vacations. I had taken travel insurance out through Delta Vacations with TripMate. I have contacted them numerous times concerning reimbursement with the answer from them that they are still processing it. I have provided medical records, doctor statements, proof of purchase, dates of admission/release from hospital, everything they have asked to make their decision, but still no refund.

I have read reviews on this company and they are not good at all. We have received full refunds from everybody for this trip except TripMate. They are a fraudulent company and take people's money and never intend to issue refunds. I will never use this company again and would highly recommend if you have to take travel insurance to make sure that it is not through TripMate. I spoke to them one last time and told them they had until 2/4/18 and I was reporting them. I will be contacting the Kansas Insurance Commission to report them. This company must be made to answer for all their sneaky, unfair, scheming, and downright thievery practices.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Purchased the insurance for the trip to Cuba and I had to cancel because of eye surgery and Dr. said I couldn't travel. He gave me a statement which I submitted with my claim. However, with this policy you are supposed to be able to cancel for any reason and get a full refund. Eventually, they sent me a voucher for the full amount but this was only good for use on a Vantage Tour. I did not want to be locked into Vantage and wanted a cash refund. I had submit a claim to their Appeals Department. Did this on December 20th and still no refund. And, I can't talk to the Appeals Dept. by phone.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

My husband & I purchased travel insurance through Trip Mate for our 30th anniversary trip to the Bahamas to arrive Sept. 2017 when Hurricane Irma hit. Our original flight was through Miami which got shut down due to Hurricane Irma so American Airlines had to cancel our flight and rebooked us for a few days later and, based on their flight schedule, we arrived in Miami a little after midnight and our flight out of Miami on to the Bahamas was at 1:15PM so we got a hotel room to get some sleep. We submitted our $180 claim for the hotel and it was denied under Trip Mate's "Delay" provision. They said because we were not delayed longer than 12 hours they were denying our claim. I called them to ask they reconsider and I got the big blow off. I will now appeal and will also be contacting the Missouri Insurance Commissioner and reporting them. I believe our claim should have been handled under the "Interruption" provision.

All of this was due to a hurricane, a natural disaster. I told the Trip Mate rep I talked to that I know they do everything and anything they can to deny claims so they don't have to pay and I'm sure they got hit hard by all the claims filed due to the hurricane season. Unfortunately, we have another trip planned for 9/2018 and purchased the insurance before we knew we were going to get shafted. I will NEVER purchase trip insurance from Trip Mate again. In the future, I will just take my chances. I realize I'm only asking for $180 but it's the principle of it.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I purchased travel insurance through Trip Mate. I got the insurance contract where I could cancel for any reason within a certain amount of days before the trip. I had to cancel due to my funds. I filed a claim 11/13/2017. They said it would take a month to get my money back. I have called about 12 times about the status and still to this day they keep claiming that it is processing with the underwriter and there is nothing else that they can do for me. I told them you all are a business and should update me about everything, but they have not. I made all the calls to them.

This business just gets people money for travel insurance to scam them and keep their money. I want my money back that I paid for the insurance and the money they owe me for my trip. They also stated that they cannot communicate anything with me since I made a complaint about them. I have gotten lied to multiple times, I have the email and recordings to prove it. I don't know how they are still in business and how they have a A rating with the BBB. I am at my last ends with this company. I just want my money back.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I made a claim for my cancelled airline ticket the during the last Hurricane disaster. This is the crap you deal with... The process started on 2017/09/13. They say they emailed an echeck which I never received. They have ZERO credibility and it is useless to try to talk to someone by phone to get it resolved. I was told "It's not our process..." Of course it's not because they don't want to deal with answering the phony operation on how they prey upon the unsuspecting public. They want to pay a small portion and make you dispute it through a BS process. It is a SCAM.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

We booked a Mediterranean cruise for early March, 2017. As time was short, we purchased the insurance package offered by the cruise line, A425V. Our two suitcases did not arrive with us. One of them caught up with us 4 days later, but the other was eventually declared lost. Although the airline accepted responsibility, they made it clear that we must deal with our travel insurance provider first to initiate the claim process. Sounds pretty reasonable!

We have experienced 10 months of total frustration, The few phone calls that have managed to get through have netted either vague or wrong answers. Documents seem to have gone missing, but they won't acknowledge which ones or request replacements. Email responses (if we get one) are confusing and seldom address our concerns or questions. We were eventually compensated for essentials purchased while travelling, but the claim and documents filed (receipt acknowledged) regarding the lost bag, have been ignored as have requests for updates and status.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I am convinced this company asks everyone for additional information, even if you have sent every last thing requested. A delay tactic. Then they claim that the evaluation of your claim will start all over again. I purchased trip insurance through GLOBAL ALERT. When I had a fall and clinic visit in September on a trip, the claim was then handled by TRIP MATE. Numerous calls, numerous conversations with TRIP MATE! If they use the word "expedite" meaning they move it forward, be wary. I am only requesting that my medical bill be paid. This should be simple!! They have every bit of info that could be needed. Waiting for a supervisor call once again...I think many of us are seeing an unhopeful pattern.

Resolution response: Jan. 23, 2018

Check received yesterday for the entire airline ticket. Considered paid and closed ;-)

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

We planned a cruise last July 2017, but we had to cancel due to an illness in our family. I did everything according to the book, and like everybody else, I was "cooking" for a while. We provided all the evidence multiple times from doctors, flight tickets, and nothing substantial happened until I contact Kansas Insurance Department via email KID.Webcomplaints@ks.gov and they asked for my info, and the next couple of days I got my process expedited. Don't waste your time with them if you don't see progress.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

My experience with this insurance was extremely disappointing. I insured a non refundable airline ticket which I needed to cancel due to Resort closure as a result of hurricane damage. When I purchased the insurance I was under the impression that I could recover the ticket price for a covered condition. Not so. I have to take the airline credit to be used within one year. All they paid was cancellation and reissue fee and it took a long time to get that. Subsequent calls and complaints were unsuccessful. I gained nothing by insuring this trip. The cancellation fees would have been covered by the Resort anyway.

I am not planning another trip soon so I stand to lose this airline credit. In my opinion this is fraudulent. I could have obtained that airline credit without paying insurance. The lesson learned: do not buy travel insurance from Trip Mate for airline tickets, instead spend the extra money to purchase a refundable ticket. At the very least know exactly what is covered and get it in writing. As far as I am concerned Trip Mate is a fraudulent and dishonest company.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Do not use this company. I filed a claim in September and still have not received claim payment. Our flight was canceled due to the Hurricane and we had to drive back to Ft. Myers. I have called over and over and get put on hold, cut off, and just exhausted trying to resolve this issue. I called Viking who recommended this company and am going to report them also to the Federal Trade Commission. Looking at reviews on-line, this is what others have also experienced. Again, do not use this company.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

We booked our honeymoon back and July and had to cancel in Sept due to my husband needing surgery asap. I called for a status in Oct, Nov and Dec and I was told THREE times a check was in the mail. However nothing was updated on my account. I followed up right before Christmas and was told nothing has been done on our account since the claim was filed. I explained how 3 people told me 3 separate times I had a check coming in the mail. Ironically when I called and complained in January they denied our claim with no reason whatsoever. This place is a complete fraud and are just taking our money.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

My wife and I purchased a travel package from Viking Cruises which consisted of air to and from Cleveland, OH, 8 day river cruise from Amsterdam to Basel, 2 day pre-cruise extension in Amsterdam and travel interruption insurance (Trip Mate). The trip was scheduled to depart on the 24th of July, 2017 and arrive in Amsterdam on the 25th. Due to delayed flights and mechanical problems, Air Canada was not able to get us to Amsterdam until the morning of the 27th. I contacted Viking and Trip Mate during the trip interruption and filed a travel claim when we returned.

During the ensuing 5 months I have filed, refiled forms, made a number of calls to their call center and finally on December 29th was informed that a payment in the amount we had claimed would be sent in the next 5-10 days. We are still waiting. I would not like to leave Viking Cruises out of my complaint as I feel that since everything was purchased through them, they should have more of a fiduciary responsibility in seeking a resolution earlier. That did not happen.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I purchased Trip Mate Insurance on a flight from Sun Country. I needed to cancel my trip due to a death. It has been almost 4 months and my experience is the same as everyone else on this site. All my paperwork has been submitted. I have attempted to call them and are placed on hold. I then leave my number and they call back the next morning. They always tell me they have a lot of claims and my claim is being examined. I have come to the realization that the insurance was a waste of money. I am not sure why Sun Country offers it on their booking website but I feel they should be aware of this scam.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

The reason for my review is to say ask questions. Something you would assume would be covered may not be. I booked a tour with a group of individuals through Collette Travel. They offered us travel insurance through Trip Mate, Inc. The trip was a Catholic Pilgrimage to places in France and Portugal but also going into Spain. Due to having knee replacement surgery last year my physician advised that if possible purchase an airline ticket with more leg room. On United Airlines this is called Economy Plus. Ironically my knee problem started on another very long flight. As you know it can be difficult getting up and moving around. That extra bit of leg room does help to take the pressure off legs and especially knees.

The trip was during the political issues that were going on in Barcelona, Spain. Because of this Collette Travel changed our plans thus we flew from Madrid, Spain instead. I did notify the tour guide (employed by Collette) that I had purchased more leg room for myself and my niece and also provided him with copies of the information. He assured me everything was taken care of. It wasn't. Turns out our flight was never canceled with United Airlines. Had it been canceled United would have refunded me the money for the upgrade. I am certain it wasn't canceled as I was receiving messages from United to check in for flight. I was told not to worry that Collette had taken care of it (they didn't).

Arrive home and speak with United, Collette and finally Trip Mate, Inc. I basically was informed to file claim with Trip Mate since they are the travel insurance company. I filed claim finally on November 16, 2017. When I did not hear from them by December 13 I initiated a call to them (they documented they called me). I was informed it usually takes 30 days to resolve a claim. I foolishly thought they meant issue a refund. On December 29, 2017 still no communication from Trip Mate. I am told they will put a rush on it. Not sure what this means as on January 2, 2018 I receive a call saying I requested a callback. NO I DID NOT. I requested my claim get some attention.

The anticipated amount of the refund would be approximately $471.00. I am a senior, widow and believe me that is a lot of money. Finally I send email to executives at Trip Mate. Told they will expedite. It did not take them long to say it was not covered. If I read the legalize booklet I would have realized that. What good is travel insurance if it doesn't cover something that you have no control over and are losing money because of? If possible do not use Trip Mate. Lesson learned was I should not have believed that Collette would do what they said either and call insurance company and ask questions.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

It seems this company has too many complaints to respond... A week ago I had to cancel a round trip flight due to physical issues. I filed a claim with this company but no answer yet. I'm 30 to 40 minutes waiting on the phone call and then I get disconnected. I checked the online system but nothing is showing there. I have a claim number from a week ago and nobody from this company is responding.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I am reporting Trip Mate to the Federal Trade Commission and I STRONGLY recommend the rest of you dissatisfied customers do the same at https://www.ftc.gov. I booked a trip through Delta Vacations in May of 2017. My husband was diagnosed with cancer and was advised not to travel. When we made our purchase we were offered 2 separate insurance plans. Plan 1 offered a travel voucher for $99 Plan 2 was for a no questions asked refund for $129. Since it was an expensive trip to Italy we purchased the $129.00 per person plan.

It is now January of 2018 and I am still trying to get a refund. We submitted all of the forms and documents that they requested and also a letter from my husband's doctor (even though we shouldn't need it!) and now they are trying to offer us a $1200 VOUCHER for a $5800 trip!!! I am so disgusted I will be their worst nightmare!! I want EVERYONE who has been ripped off to contact the FTC and put these jerks out of business!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

Tripmate states they will provide an answer to all claims within 20-30 days. I just noticed the claim denial in the claims online status. I placed my claim Sept 18, 2018. The denial was dated 1/5/2018. I had called numerous times and was told they had a backlog due to fires, flooding and hurricanes. I truly am sorry for those people who were involved in those natural disasters but My Claim and Tripmates written policy is what is important to me. I asked for a claim as the resort we booked for 7 nights had 1. No running water throughout entire resort. 2. No hot water the first night. 3. Leaking water on the room’s floor from shower & toilets. 4. No flushing toilets. There were other issues but this WAS INHABITABLE and we had to leave and stay elsewhere. I don’t understand how Tripmate could deny this claim. So very disappointed and want to take this further but unsure how.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

We received travel insurance through our travel agency Brentwood Travel. When our flight was cancelled and could not get rebooked we had to rent a car to drive from Atlanta back to St. Louis following our return from Paris. None of the airlines were rebooking in the hurricane so we decided to drive back. Filed claim. They never provided updates, you can never speak to anyone and when they finally denied the claim four months later, they would never call back to explain why. Useless insurance coverage.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I have travelled the world with many great companies. My husband and I were to take a trip to Canada. As always, I purchased insurance through Globus' insurance company TRIPMATE. My husband was diagnosed with aggressive melanoma and we had to cancel the trip. I reported the immediately after cancelling That was June 24. It is January 3, 2018. I have heard nothing having repeatedly tried to contact them. I have been on hold on the phone seven separate times at a waiting period of at least 40 minutes apiece, and then was disconnected each time. I am owed $2891.17. I doubt we will ever see that money. Please BE AWARE.

Purchased this travel insurance hoping that it would cover me for cancellation and safety purposes but unfortunately it didn't do anything as it promised. Got my trip cancelled and informed them right away, submitted all the forms they requested, took them a month to respond only to deny my claim and didn't get a refund even a single cent from what I paid for. What upsets me more is the response of the agent that there's no need to get back to them neither ways to amend my request as it has already been reviewed. Upon checking, they also have the lowest and unsatisfactory customer review.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

This company did not send monies due since over 2 months ago. Trip was canceled due to hurricane in Florida. I have reported them to the BBB and they notified Trip Mate. I have not heard from them and it is impossible to speak to anybody via telephone. I did receive a call from an agent telling me that the check is in the mail. So far my friend and I have not received anything. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. They are not trustworthy.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I purchased a vacation at the Atlantis, Paradise Island through the Atlantis which included airfare and Trip Mate Travel Insurance. My check in date was between Hurricanes Irma and Jose. Jose modeling was projecting a direct hit on Nassau, Bahamas. I was advised by Trip Mate that I had to cancel my reservation in order to make a claim. I did so within days of our check-in date. Claim papers were immediately filed with Trip Mate, and was acknowledged having been received. At the time the Atlantis was offering a free rebooking program for uninsured guests, and the airlines were issuing a 100% value credit to be used within a year. Finally, after many phone calls to Trip Mate, and countless on-line status checks, I received a letter December 11th stating that my claim would not be recognized as the hurricane did not hit the resort, and it remained open for business.

This is really unacceptable and a terrible business strategy under the circumstances. An inordinate amount of time was taken to review my claim, because of the length of time to review the claim, all other options were lost, the insurance was purchased as a package through the Atlantis Paradise Island Resort, all necessary filings of claim with proof, was immediately provided to Trip Mate and acknowledged as received. A total damage of over $4,000 was incurred.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

We had booked a cruise through Grand Circle Cruise Line and they suggested we purchase trip insurance and the company they suggested was Trip Mate. We purchased the insurance for our $10,000 river cruise. We were to depart Miami Florida September 9th on Lufthansa Airlines however due to Hurricane Irma all flights were cancelled. Pretty cut and dry. We submitted all paperwork required by October and have heard nothing from Trip Mate Insurance. We have initiated several calls, wait time is terrible so they usually call back in about 6 hours. Same old story, processing, waiting for review, will be expedited, etc. We contacted Grand Circle for assistance and were told they cannot help (they need rethink that). Almost 3 months since claim was submitted and no movement. As I submit this I am waiting for a return call from a supervisor.

Trip Mate Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.

• 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.

• Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.

• 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.

• Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.

• Best for: Party animals, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

www.tripmate.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use