3.4/5 (98 ratings)

Insure your next trip with Generali Global Services

Choose from 3 different plans today!

Get a Quote
Find a Travel Insurance partner

About Trip Mate Insurance

Trip Mate Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: May 11, 2022

They will not pay you no matter how reasonable your claim is. If you miss your flight due to an illness it's almost impossible for you to get your payment. They will ask for 1000 + 1 documents from you and find a way to denied your claim.

Original review: April 11, 2022

Booked a flight for Dec 2021 in Onetravel.com and insured it by TRIPMATE TRAVEL PROTECTION PLAN that was offered in the same website. Canceled trip due to Covid positive family member and claimed for refund. Tripmate issued a "e-check" that was not useable in Canada. I took the check to bank and they told me it is "Fraudulent", check did not have issuing party info on it as per bank staff. Contacted Tripmate and they told they are going to issue "paper check" and right away they cancelled the e-check on Dec 12. Since then they are not answering and I have not received the Paper Check.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2022

We were on a trip recently and I've never bought Trip Mate but my agents recommended them as a norm. I went with another company but gave it a try. NEVER AGAIN..In the end I got corporate involved and they helped me but the frustration of sending in documentation over and over again and not telling me they got it...the miscommunication and not being able to connect with management is horrible..In the end though I did get the claim paid but they have to fix the customer service issue.

Original review: March 2, 2022

I was supposed to take a trip to Russia. Russia is now at war with the Ukraine. Trip Mate does not include war as a valid reason to cancel and get a refund. NB: Every review that I have read here has 1 star so not sure why the heading for Trip Mate shows 4 stars.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

Went to Cancun Mexico for our wedding and got travel insurance through Trip Mate. We understood that if our trip was delayed by 6hour we would get a full refund. Well, we tested positive for COVID the day before our flight which meant we had to cancel our flights because we could not fly back into the US with a positive result and had to quarantine. We finally had to take an alternate route/flight home. We paid over $6000 for our honeymoon and additional costs for getting quarantined and flights home. We were sent $400 after we provided proof of the positive COVID tests and flight Cancellations. This company does not stand up to what it says. I wouldn’t trust this company to insure my kid's tricycle.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

I purchased insurance with Tripmate. I had to have emergency surgery so needless to say, I had to cancel my trip. This process started in September of 2021. I submitted all of the required documentation. It is now February of 2022 and they have still not issued my refund of over $400.00.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

Antiqua changed their entry restrictions 8 days prior to our departure and we had to cancel the trip. Since we were within 30 days of arrival, and per Sandals policy, we were only able to get 50% of our money back. Not to worry! We have travel insurance that will reimburse us like they said they would! Like almost everyone else here I found out too late that Trip Mate doesn't refund a claim. They only send you travel vouchers. The "For any reason, at any time" tagline is a sham, and represents misleading marketing tactics at best. At worst it's fraudulent.

I called Sandals to let them know who is representing their brand and have a complaint filed with their customer service department, but I don't think it will do any good. I've also let them know they lost a customer for life. Ultimately the only way to combat this type of practice is to dispute the charges directly from Sandals. I've also filed a claim with the BBB, Bureau of Consumer Protection, and working to educate as many other people as I can.

Original review: June 17, 2021

I got Trip Mate for free when booking my travel with Beaches Resort in Jamaica. We had a claim and began to process it, the amount of info and very personal information to file the claim was awful. We also purchased Allianz insurance because we have used it in the past and they are so much better and thorough. I would never purchase Trip Mate insurance. I am a bit surprised that they are allowed to ask for the info needed to file a claim.

Original review: May 5, 2021

Contacted Trip Mate who denied our request for a refund even though The Greece border has been closed to tourists. I paid extra money for travel insurance last year just in case this happened and now Trip Mate flat out denied my request! How can they deny a request when the government shut down travel and they are an travel insurance company!

Original review: April 18, 2021

My wife and I scheduled a flight to the Philippine islands. The govt restricted incoming flights, require a 14 day quarantine in a hotel of their choice. Mom in law traveling with us is restricted from leaving the home after quarantine. Only there for two weeks, not worth it. Trip Mate refused refund twice. CheapoAir came through and refunded us. Inflexible, hard to reach, will not refer for future to my family who travels a lot! Thank you CheapoAir!

Trip Mate Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.

• 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.

• Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.

• 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.

• Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor