1.09/5
Based on 141 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for travel insurance?

306 Trip Mate Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 23, 2018

Sent a fax in May for voucher refund with a cover letter indicating sending only 2 pages per instructions given. A month later no correspondence & told when I called that I had not sent all the information. The saga continues with no voucher which is needed by June 25th for final payment for trip in September. Have made numerous calls & latest called back was to happen on June 20th. No callback. Very frustrated.

Original review: June 18, 2018

My wife and traveled to Italy with a tour company. We purchased travel insurance from Trip Mate $998.00. When returning home from Italy there was a pilot strike in Paris. We were stuck in Paris for three days. I submitted a travel request online April 19, 2018. On their website the claim shows it was received as of April 19, 2018. I called Trip Mate on June 5, 2018 to check the status of my claim. I was on hold for a long time so I decided to request the automatic call back. I received a callback. I was told that they were behind in processing claims and to call back in two weeks. I called June 18, 2018. Again I was on hold a long time and requested a callback. I received a callback and was told all of my claim was in order but it still could take 2 to 3 more weeks! That will make it almost 3 months! Do not use Trip Mate for travel insurance!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2018

After several months of hard work, we finally received our vouchers from TripMate for a Viking cruise we could not take due to my sister's sudden death. Why Viking are linked with such an organization is beyond me. If we hadn't assiduously called TripMate every day and questioned their every move, we would still be waiting for our FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS. My advice to anyone working with Viking is (a) book your own travel insurance and (b) make a thorough nuisance of yourself until you get paid. TripMate gave false information to us so many times that we were getting ready to go and sit in their offices in Missouri until the vouchers were produced. Viking were no help whatsoever and said they could do nothing. As it was, the vouchers were 'printed' on May 16 and finally arrived in our mailbox on June 12. Really?

Original review: June 15, 2018

I bought airline tickets and hotel for a trip to Puerto Rico in August 2017 for a travel date of Dec 2017. Got travel insurance in Sept 2017. In Oct 2017 after Hurricane Maria the hotel contacted me and told me they could not honor the reservation because of damage. I put in a claim for the airline tickets. Trip Mate said, the insurance is for 24 hours from travel date. They will not pay the claim. So no insurance. If they know there is a hurricane and you can't go, why sell me the policy in the first place. I don't know if there is a better company but don't use this one. They won't pay.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I was unable to travel due to an illness. I completed all the required documentation and saw my doctor who did the same. It has been 6 weeks since a claim was filed with Trip Mate and they have no information online about my claim!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: June 11, 2018

A flight reservation was made, on April 18, through my debit card, in where this travel insurance was also purchased. Paid 236.86 plus 14.95 for the insurance. Canceled on May 2nd, due to her needing emergency room assistance. Sent paperwork. Afterward also sent a court paper that had come in during this time where she would have to attend another court appearance we had not been aware of. All of these things were sent and I called on 05/25/18 to check status. I was told it was still being reviewed. I have called several times since, as I have heard nothing.

They promise to call back via auto voice and will not allow waiting for someone to answer my call. We have met all criteria to be able to get a refund. All we are told is an e-check will be sent if we are approved for one. The Better Business Bureau has 8 positive reviews and 56 negative with this company. Yet it receives 3.4 stars with them... I see my complaint is similar to many others. This company needs to shape up or shut down! Warning to anyone who buys travel insurance with an airline, pay close attention; it would be better to buy a more expensive ticket than to choose a ticket with this company as a travel insurance carrier!

Original review: June 11, 2018

It's been 3 months and still I am not able to talk to any of the representatives. Makes me to wait for 30 minutes, then disconnects and informs of a callback. They will do a voice mail, for which when we call back it will loop back to same scenario of waiting 30 minutes and information about callback. Even after submitting all the documentations they are hiding somewhere to avoid refunding. I WILL NEVER EVER GO WITH THESE GUYS IN FUTURE.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Paid Trip Mate Insurance OVER $1,400 for cruise protection plan. Due to unexpected financial responsibilities which will extend over an undetermined period of time, we are not going to do the cruise. Trip Mate will NOT refund any of this payment (even after calling and explaining this problem... Many!!! Times.) Please!!! Find another company for your travel protection...

Original review: June 9, 2018

The flight for my wife and I to the Philippines was cancelled in September 17 due to hurricane Irma. In addition my return flight had to be cancelled as I fell down a flight of stairs and broke two ribs and a collapsed lung and had to rehab prior to returning to the states. Filed initial claim with Trip Mate in September and second in October. It is now June and operators can only say it is under review and they would expedite processing. 9 MONTHS! Unbelievable. When I call I only get excuses... I want my money...I paid for the insurance!

Original review: June 8, 2018

2016 I booked a trip with Vantage Travel and Trip Mate. Due to broken arm had to cancel trip. Vantage Travel returned my money. Tripmate did not. I have tried for 2 years to receive my money no response. Don't answer phones, reply to emails is always working on it, Replies to correspondence is always working on it. I have submitted 2 medical Drs reports and many letters from me simply telling them how easy it is to pay my refund. No response and no money. How come Vantage Travel can refund very quickly and Trip Mate cannot and keeps our money?

Original review: June 4, 2018

My 94 yo Dad wanted to go to Germany on a river cruise with Grand Circle Tours. We booked a year in advance. That year he was ill and then continued to have breathing issues that we were continually going to the Dr for. We cancelled our trip in Nov, prior to the Dec 2 departure. Given his declining health and I was the only caregiver, I did not process the refund request until Feb. I was asked to provide Dr info/form, even tho we were told that you could literally cancel for ANY reason, even if you just change your mind.

I never heard from anyone and I wrote and called threatening legal action. I received a call/email telling me that it was in process. I just received yet another request for another Dr form. I pulled up these complaints with people providing several documents and still not receiving their refunds. THIS IS RIDULOUS. We are owed over $7,000! How does this continue to happen to people. I will be contacting the Attorney General, but I should not have to go to these lengths, given the many, many complaints! This is a fraudulent company!!! As I've read - RUN, DON'T WALK AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY - and Grand Circle Tours, if they are OK with this treatment of their customers!!!!

Original review: June 2, 2018

When Harvey hit Houston last year, my vehicle was parked at Houston International Airport in a parking garage. All fights were cancelled in and out of Houston. We had reached our final destination in Canada thru Cosmos Tours. My friend, Billie ** and I had started receiving notices of our flights being cancelled. We tried and tried to reach Tripmate to no avail. We found and booked a flight from Seattle to Dallas and had a friend pick us up. Paid for a shuttle to Seattle and everything else involved.

After almost a year of calling, writing, complaining, and receiving a notice from American that our ticket had been refunded to them for $288. I never received the refund or my additional expenses. This company and the people that represent them are of the lowest, uneducated and just plain dumb personnel I have ever encountered. Received a check for $144 with no explanation for a $700 claim, plus reimbursement by the airline. DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Filed original claim on 1/21/18. Fell & injured my left knee before leaving to head down to the airport for my trip to Costa Rica. This was a travel purchase through Overseas Adventure Travels (OAT). They were of no help at all. Sent ER information regarding my injury on 1/21/18 . On 2/5/18 went to get MRI as suggested by my doctor and it was determined I had a fractured tibia. Numerous communications with the last being from Erick at Trip Mate @ 7:48 PM Pacific time on 5/16/18 indicating he would take care of this & get claim processed and to send MRI results. Obtained & sent to TM on 5/18/18. Today 6/1/18 no additional injury information except additional MRI information sent on 5/18/18 as requested from Eric at Trip Mate showing I had a fractured tibia. Almost as if this was the original injury information. Am now going on 5 months. On Hold with no answer for well over 1 hour.

Original review: May 27, 2018

My trip was the middle of March. There were significant delays that cost me over $1,000 out of pocket on the trip. I had TripMate Travel Insurance. The claim was filed and processed by them April 2. Here I am May 27 and still no check from them. My travel agent has also tried to get the check sent. They are the worst! I will never use them again and will advise my friends who travel to not use them. I have left messages on their voice mail (could not get anyone to answer phone) and have no response from them. I have also emailed and still no response. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!

Original review: May 26, 2018

I would give this no stars... I'm trying to get my insurance money back from this so-called insurance company!! My son was in a coma. Not nothing how long I needed to stay, I took their insurance. I gave them all the documentation, trip cancellation claim forms and doctor's letter. My son die over a week later, after my schedule return flight. THAT was 4 months ago. And now I have been denied. WHAT? Are you kidding me. Why would I have taken this insurance, if couldn't get my money back. Poor consumer service!!!!

Original review: May 17, 2018

I needed medical assistance in a foreign country. I obtained all receipts and the travel coordinator opened the claim while still in the country. All receipts submitted timely. This was March of 2018. You cannot call and speak to a Trip Mate representative as you have to leave your contact info and wait for a return call hours later. Trip Mate confirmed they received all necessary paperwork for the claim and advised me that they are delayed with processing claims due to all the current disasters across the world. They instructed me to check on my claim online. After over 2 months my status has not changed. I called again and waited hours for my return call. Please note, if you miss your ONE time return call you have to call back and request another call back.

The Trip Mate representative told me that she did not know what happened with my claim but assured me she was marking it "high priority" as my claim has just been sitting in limbo. She could/would not tell me when to expect reimbursement. Based on their pattern with delayed claim reimbursement I feel as though I will have to stay on top of this company for several more months. As an fyi, their website does not work properly for completing/submitting forms or providing additional info. It's poorly done with low budget functionality. I will not purchase insurance from this company again. Sorry, we are all in this situation. Good Luck.

Original review: May 14, 2018

We had a flight cancelled by Sun Country Airlines around midnight Friday February 2, 2018 due to mechanical problems/sick crew member. Basically abandoned and got home on my own dime over 24 hours later as no alternative was provided. I had Trip Mate Insurance through Sun Country to cover our expenses for just this situation. This is now the 13th of May and we have never received a dime. I don't believe Trip Mate has even reviewed our claim. Telephone operators cannot do anything. Obviously Trip Mate has problems. I would not be surprised if Trip Mate files bankruptcy and leaves a ton of people holding worthless IOU notes. Trip Mate has no intention of making your problem their problem.

Updated on 06/09/2018: Airline insurance coverage. I had similar experiences trying to get paid from Trip Mate as the other 297 reviews. After two months, I contacted the Attorney General of MO, Consumer Protection Division. They contacted Lorraine **, Claims Supervisor, Communications and Compliance for Trip Mate, Inc., tel **. Thanks to the Attorney General's involvement I got reimbursed. Capra ** is the Assistance Claims Adjuster who might do the paperwork, telephone **. I am sure they would love to hear about any problems you are having. I believe Arch Insurance Company is the owner.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Denied Claim After 5 Months - What a waste of money & time. If you book a cruise thru Windstar, you better plan on going and do not count on purchase of any travel insurance by TripMate to protect your trip. As other review, they dodge, stall, dodge, stall and deny. Paid over $600 for deluxe insurance and due to weather conditions, I was unable to get to the departure port and make the Tahiti cruise. I provided 28 pages of documentation and I have received the runaround. The airline's insurance paid out their part of the shenanigans, but not TripMate. Filed claim with BBB and will continue to proliferate the internet. Shame on Windstar for supporting such an irresponsible insurance carrier.

Original review: May 12, 2018

We: me, my wife and daughter and her significant other were looking forward to seeing Cuba via Viking Cruise Line. We were told by our travel agent that none of the top rated insurance companies would cover trips to Cuba so we ended up with Trip Mate. We had to cancel the trip due to wife’s injury. Since filing the claim, we have gotten every dodge that is possible.

Original review: May 9, 2018

5 years ago, they would pay benefits within a reasonable time frame. Now, I have to parrot the 1 stars that everyone else is giving. I'm thinking they are having financial troubles and would avoid them at all costs. If they do go out of business, you are stuck with no money back on your claim. We are still waiting to be paid on a claim from January of this year. They agreed that our claim was valid and the "check is in the mail". That was two weeks ago. I'm skeptical. The representative is always no help - all they can say is the claim is on the adjuster's desk. The call-back feature is the same as never calling you back. Letters to BBB don't help. Run-don't-walk from this company!

Original review: May 8, 2018

We booked a Viking Cruise in 2017 for a trip that was to take place in August of this year (2018). We were told when we bought this travel insurance that we could Cancel For Any Reason if we did it by at least 121 days out. Well we had to cancel due to one of us having to get unexpected surgery and would now have to cancel our trip. We did so in March. Almost 6 months in advance. We have written Trip Mate and filled out all their paperwork and we have called them numerous times and now they are denying our claim I think because we are Senior Citizens they are taking advantage of us. This is the worst SCAM ever.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Going to be discrete as I would like my information to remain anonymous since I have yet to receive a payment on my claim. I think the confusing thing about dealing with Trip Mate is that you follow their guidelines. It is their policy for cancellation. I didn't write nor did I alter their policy. And with that being said, I am still waiting on payment on my claim! The policy is clear and I fall within their guidelines to cancel my trip. What is the reason for the delay? Did anyone check to see if they have recently been sued or have a judgement against them? Maybe they don't have the money to pay out the amount of claims they are receiving so they make excuses and delay the process (not trying to justify on their behalf).

I have several individuals writing and calling different vendors that we have worked with that use Trip Mate and complain about the service being received. A different travel company needs to be used. I encourage everyone that has had a bad experience to write in to the company that they booked through and complain. Even threaten never to use them anymore. The more people that complain, eventually they will act when they see they are losing money due to the service being received by Trip Mate.

Original review: April 30, 2018

While on vacation at Couples Negril I became very ill & required medical attention which cost $870.00. When we returned home I completed and sent in the documentation to Trip Mate which they received on March 12 2018. I have called numerous times & am told the same thing that they are taking a long time to process claims. I have also contacted Couples and informed them of the terrible service this company has extended to me. This company is terrible, Do not book insurance thru them!!! Couples has lost a 4-time returning customer as a result of this!!! Today it is 7 weeks since Trip Mate received my paperwork!!!

Original review: April 28, 2018

We filed the claim Dec 7, 2017. Our traveling companions filed their claim after us and received reimbursement in Mar 2018. Our calls to Trip Mate were often disconnected by the system or we could not get information from staff. We finally received reimbursement on Apr 26, 2018, but only with the help of the cruise line agent.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Purchased Trip Mate travel insurance for a trip to Hawaii in Feb 2018 booked through All About Hawaii. There were travel delays related to weather which resulted in additional expenses as well as a lost day. Filed claim, submitted all of the requested document in, which had to be sent through the mail as I was informed by Trip Mate although they say you can file electronically, in actuality you can not. This company manipulates the claim documentation online to misrepresent contact between Trip Mate and the client. Every time I call them, they have never initiated a call to me, they record as though Trip Mate staff initiated the call. The online claim log is falsified to look as though phone contact has been initiated by Trip Mate staff when I have been initiating the calls and waiting in a phone queue and they continue to do so even after I called them out in it.

Their goal is to process claims within 30 days and when that mark is missed it is because they are experiencing unusually high claim volumes. Even the phone recording alludes to the high volume. The individuals that answer calls have been pleasant but have no real information, they just parrot the company line and keep asking for patience. Asking for you to give them a few more weeks. I'm currently waiting for a supervisor to contact me per my request. Of course I need to wait an additional 2-3 business days so they have time to look at the claim so they can "explain" the process to me.

Here is what I know, I purchased this coverage in good faith, paid the premium 5 months ahead of time and when I have a legitimate claim they are evasive and I have absolutely no guarantee they will honor the contract and pay my claim. I would have preferred everything go smoothly with this trip and not be spending hours on the phone with this company for a claim that is less than 500.00 dollars. Do not work with this company. Shame on All About Hawaii travel for not vetting this company before partnering and leaving their clients shortchanged.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I purchased travel insurance for an overseas trip (cost in excess of $5000) via Trip Mate. When my mother fell and broke her hip, requiring that I cancel my trip so I could help my mother, I filed all the claim information required (which was pages and pages and required signatures of doctors, codes for surgery, etc.). This was sent in and then I waited... and waited... and waited. I finally contacted the company about 6 wks after the forms were sent in, and was told it was "being processed" but I should get it by early April. Nothing came and no contact from Trip Mate. I just called back (end of April) and was told that the check "should have been issued" but nothing was in the system. Now I'm told the check will be issued "soon." This is ridiculous and really poor customer service. I won't use this company again.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I purchased "Cancel For Any Reason" travel insurance from Trip Mate for a mission trip to Kenya. The trip was cancelled due to Political Unrest by the receiving organization in Kenya. Immediately, I applied sent in my request to get cost of plane ticket back in September 2017. They asked for more receipts, proof on cancellation, etc. which I provided. They took weeks for each transaction to reply. In January they sent a denial letter, using all the information they asked for against me. I appealed, requesting only the 75% reimbursement for the plane ticket. My claim was still denied, even though I purchased the "cancel for any reason" benefit. This company should NOT be allowed to do business with anyone. Do Not Use TripMate Travel Insurance.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Our Experience has been dreadful. We had insurance, as my father-in-law was ill and we needed to travel. The doctors said it should be OK. Sadly he died while we were away and we had to buy emergency tickets back home. The only tickets were business class at a great expense. We sent all the information requested including death certificate and invoices. After 5 months we found a notice "Closed due to lack of Information." NO contact requesting extra information, no response at all. SO we are left with nowhere to go except expressing our deep dissatisfaction with this company. KEEP AWAY. They are not efficient and I would also query how they treat people in difficult circumstances and possibly looking for ways to avoid valid payments.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I planning a great value vacations in April for August and paid in full, so was eligible for Pre-existing Condition status. I have had osteoarthritis in left knee for years but never canceled due to it. In late July, my doctor identified "acute osteoarthritis patella femora" and advised not to travel. Trip Mate would not accept the difference. All paperwork was in in a week and all the delay tactics mentioned by others occurred. After additional letters from my doctor and my filing a complaint with the Missouri Department of Insurance three months ago, I received notice from Trip Mate that they would be paying my claim of $1733.00, almost nine months since filing.

Without the tenacity needed to fight this extremely poor travel company and the reporting to the Missouri State Dept. of Insurance. I might still be waiting. My next move was to file a complaint with the Missouri Attorney General and they knew it. I wrote letters to the President/CEO of each company and got the same ** - from Trip Mate and never heard back from Great Value Vacations. The latter was almost as responsible as they assigned my insurance to Trip Mate. Advice - always check the internet on the insurance company before accepting their policy. I will next time.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Booked a trip with Viking Ocean and had to cancel Jan 26th due to surgery for a trip in April. We cancelled many months prior to trip and received a prompt refund from Viking but have been getting the run around from Trip Mate even though they admit they have all of the information to give us a refund. I had a conference call with Viking and Trip Mate 2 weeks ago at which time they said they would send the money within 5 days. They continually say they will send the refund but have no explanation as to why it is being delayed.

Trip Mate Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.

• 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.

• Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.

• 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.

• Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.

• Best for: Party animals, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky