1.25/5

Looking for travel insurance?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

376 Trip Mate Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Worst ** service possible. First time they sent the check under the wrong name, second time they gave me the wrong email to send our document. Unfortunately there is no complaint system or rating system in place that really makes you avoid their service, but please, avoid if possible. Only wish I can give a ** star. Btw the trip was in 2015 and we are still expecting the cheque today.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Trip Mate is the WORST company I have ever dealt with. We sent in all the documentation required on 10/11/18 and it's now 12/11/18. We STILL do not have an answer from this horrible company. NEVER AGAIN will I deal with them and I will NEVER go through Viking Cruises, either, if this is the kind of company they partner with for travel insurance. I cannot get a cogent answer from anyone at Trip Mate even if I am able to reach them by phone - which is a rare occurrence. Supposedly, our vouchers were printed on 11/15/18 and mailed to us on 11/30/18. The area code for Trip Mate is in Missouri. We are in the Northeast.

First of all, why did it take 15 days to mail printed vouchers? Second of all, we were told, SPECIFICALLY, that we would have them early this week since they were mailed on 11/30/18 (15 days after they were printed!). I still DO NOT have the vouchers in hand. On top of that, I found out the amount of the vouchers from Viking Cruises. Trip Mate DID NOT give us the full amount we were due. Fool me once, shame on me. You won't fool me twice. I will NEVER, EVER, EVER do business with Trip Mate OR Viking Cruises again. Don't be a fool and do business with either of these companies, either.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

We were hit by hurricane Michael so could not fly, this worthless company gave me the runaround for 7 weeks before denying my claim. You can never speak to anyone directly, it’s always a call back the next day by an agent who is powerless to do anything - their words! All they do is say they will expedite the claim and that starts the whole process over again. I contacted the flight site that I regularly use to say that I will never book another flight through them if they continue to offer this insurance company as an option. May not have any effect, but the more that do so, the better the chance this fraudulent entity ceases to exist.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Due to illness, we could not fly. So we called and called for months and never got ahold of a manager at Trip Mate. A claim was opened but the claim was stalled, and we never could anywhere with this company for a refund. It was extremely frustrating. In the end, their lawyers just find loopholes to not refund your money. 2 of us flyers are retired, so this just makes it harder on us financially. Trip Mate is nothing, the company does not actually provide any insurance on your airline flight, as they find whatever spurious reason they can to decline providing you insurance. You might as well not get insurance if you have to buy insurance with this company.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Planned a trip to Punta Cana for my 50th birthday celebration with family and friends back in October 2018. One of my guest was denied a passport after the deposit was paid back in February. Have been trying since June to get the insurance claim resolved!! Will never use this company again!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I had a terrible experience going back to the Philippines a couple years ago so I got insurance for a trip in Dec. I had to cancel my trip to go to court in Jan. and Trip Mate refuses to reimburse my expenses. One person I talked to on the phone said, "this company can think of a thousand reasons to deny a claim." This same guy told me my claim had been kicked up to a supervisor and I should get a status result within a week. After not receiving any info for 10 days I called again and was told there was no information and if I didn't hear from Trip Mate in the next 2 weeks call back again. This lasted for a month and a half. Today I found out online that my claim was denied with no explanation. Seems like a scam company to me that can say they are insuring your trip, take your money and then deny any claim submitted.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I have read many poor reviews related to this company and I have come to the conclusion that many are lacking credibility. This company is forthcoming in every aspect. If you submit a legitimate claim you will have no problem. My claim was resolved in less then a month. Shame on all of those who write bad reviews when the problem lies with themselves.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

We purchased insurance to cover our Grade 8 class' trip from Toronto to Boston. One child was ill and required hospitalization. We have completed the claims process, and the claim was approved on August 28th. Now it is November 21, and we are still getting the runaround on when the cheque will be written. This in spite of repeated claims on their voice recording that all claims will be processed within 90 days of receipt of all documentation. I agree with the other poster, buy your travel insurance from a reputable company - not this one!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I have two clients to cancel their trip due to personal circumstances. This cancellation started June 29, 2018. They have not resolved anything. I've been calling for months. I was even told that I had sent the claim information to the wrong company. Then I realize that I would have not known where to file if I wasnt instructed to do so. It has been a runaround with no answer since I started the claim. So I filing the review and then Im filing a report with the BBB as well. This claim should have closed a long time ago.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

We had to cancel a cruise to Iceland in August. I submitted all my forms to them on August 8th and got a confirmed email. The claim was approved. It is now 3 and a half months later and they have still not issued a check. You cannot get through to a live person without waiting on hold for about an hour then they say that you have to leave your number for a call back. They are the most unprofessional company I have ever dealt with. I will never sail on Windstar again if this is the only option for insurance.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Bought World Nomad travel insurance and went to Asia. Had an accident and broke my arm. Surgery was required along with many nights in hospital, scans, medication etc. I paid the bill myself assured the whole time that I would of course be reimbursed as I was 'insured'. Later I find that TripMate underwrites the insurance. Long story short, after 10 months I still have received exactly ZERO for my medical bills. I have not been told outright that it is denied nor that it is approved. They play every game in the book to wear you out. The communication with them is a nightmare. Look, this is absolute budget travel insurance from a dishonest company. Avoid it. Buy real insurance from a major provider. There is a reason 160+ reviewers here have given them a rating of 1.2 out of 5!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I like many of you bought Trip Mate travel insurance, submitted all of my requirement documents on October 4, 2018! After the big runaround many time, I went and looked at the BBB - many claimed reported, funny thing once you report them to the BBB it showed (or they said it was paid in a few days). I reported them on Friday, November 9 2018 after many hassles and calls etc. Now today November 12, 2018 they called us to say our claim was going to be paid! Report them! There are 692 reports on the BBB site! Want to move your claim and tell about any issues - go online and make a complaint!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

This insurance is total crap. DO NOT BUY. We are owed close to 7K since 10/25/2018 and as of 11/12/18 Still have not received any money. This company should be out of business. They are the worst payout of any co. I've ever done business with.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

In August, while on a Viking river cruise in Russia, I fell and fractured my wrist. I had emergency surgery in St. Petersburg, spent two days in the hospital and then returned to the ship. Upon returning home we filed a claim with Trip Mate. As of today we still have not received reimbursement and constantly get the "runaround". I am on Medicare and Tricare for Life which does not cover medical expenses outside the US. We have sent information to Trip Mate three different times regarding our primary care physician's information.

Today I received notice that if Trip Mate does not receive information within 21 days on our primary care physician or any additional insurance coverage they will cancel the claim. Poorly run company and I certainly would not recommend signing up for their coverage. We have two more Viking cruises booked and are seriously looking to obtain travel insurance from a different provider. Viking can, and should, do better... Trip Mate is definitely up to the high Viking standards!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Claim still not paid after ALL documentation confirmed received on 8/30. Reps cannot tell you anything except my claim was approved...3 weeks ago and an e check is pending…now 2 weeks and counting. Not one rep I spoke with can give me any explanation except it should be processed soon. I will never use any travel agency who used Trip Mate and will begin a formal complaint to the BBB and Consumer Affairs. Feel bad for reps fielding these calls. Trip Mate is obviously a VERY poorly run company!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I had a trip planned to England and Ireland and took out travel insurance with my travel agent. I did not question the reputation of the insurance carrier. Prior to the trip I had a health concern that resulted in me cancelling the trip. I have heart issues in the past, but have developed a new problem not related to my previous problem. I have never seen a worse run company that Trip Mate. They denied my claim based upon prior existing conditions after 10 weeks. During that time I repeated try to contact someone in the company and was never given anyone to talk to that could answer my questions. They never once contacted me or asked for additional information. I would warn anyone thinking of insuring their travel with this company to think twice about it. Find another more reputable company. They will look for anything they can to deny a claim.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

My wife and I were scheduled to take the Viking River Cruise on the Danube. All the needed preparations had been made. Unexpectedly 2 days before the trip I had a very severe arthritic attack making it impossible for me to take the trip and tour. I have to cancel. Fortunately, included in the tour package is the travel insurance with Trip Mate, Inc. Obtaining the refund was no problem. Without any reservation I can recommend Trip Mate Inc as a dependable travel insurance to friends.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I purchased travel insurance for a trip to Europe last summer (not their basic or gold plans, but their top of the line platinum protection for $199). We've had to file a small claim to be reimbursed for medical expenses incurred in Europe (just over $100). I submitted EVERYTHING to them that they asked for. They know I paid for the plan and that I have legitimate receipts, and it's been several months, and I keep getting the runaround. Every time I call, I get the same recorded message about high call volume, etc. When I request a callback and someone calls me back, they assure me that my claim is being expedited, but I seriously doubt that.

Also, what they don't tell you is that they won't even consider your claim unless you go through your primary medical insurance first. If your primary provider declines to pay and sends you and Explanation of Benefits regarding their decision, they ask you to send that EOB to them and then they will reconsider the claim. I am extremely frustrated with this entire process. Please, if you're reading this, do not use them for trip insurance -- it will be a total waste of your money.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

My husband had emergency surgery. I sent very detailed documentation using their protocol. It's 2 months since I sent in the material and I cannot get a decent answer from the people who answer the phone as to what the delay is. I suspect because it was an expensive trip they just don’t want to pay. Next step is I will ask our attorney to get involved.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Our return tickets were unusable. Trip Mate refused to refund our money. I wish I had read the reviews before buying from Trip Mate. The policy was useless. We paid our money for a worthless policy. I will never buy a policy from Trip Mate again. I strongly advise others to look elsewhere for travel insurance. Next time I will look at a company's reviews. Not being an experienced traveler, I did not think to do that. Very disgusted and upset with Trip Mate Insurance Company, which is underwritten by Arch Insurance Company. I will be sure not to buy anything from those two companies. Never, ever, ever.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

This company kept my money for my flight after I cancelled within the time frame and submitted my son's death certificate in May 2018 (it's almost November now) and spoke with numerous customer service reps and I requested a supervisor to contact me regarding the refund since I had not heard anything in months. Every time I spoke with a representative I was told that they did not know why the claim was taking so long and that they would request for it to be expedited. I only received a letter denying my refund after I filed a BBB complaint. Beware, you do NOT need to purchase ANYTHING from Trip Mate! You might as well throw your money out of your car window if you use this company!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I purchased Trip Insurance for my 15 year wedding anniversary in June 2018. The insurance cost me $190 dollars. For a nearly $16,000, 7-night trip, I thought this was well worth it. Due to weather delays and flight cancellations we were unable to arrive at our resort on 6/18/2018, so we lost 1 day of our travel. No worries I have insurance... or so I thought.

I submitted a claim to Trip Mate on 7/4/18. Complete with Receipts, Itinerary, and all necessary documents, I asked Trip Mate to reimburse 1,852.31 of my expenses. I received a written request for additional information on 8/13/18. What they asked for was exactly what I sent the first time but somehow they wanted it again. I submitted and followed up on email on 8/14/18.

Still, no calls or communication from Tripmate other than the letter on 8/13/18 asking for more information, which is interesting since their own website says “if there is any problem with your claim, we will call you personally to discuss our concerns.” No one has ever called me personally, and when I did call I sat on hold for 15 minutes each time until the automated system took my number and asked for a time zone, then hung up.

Very interesting since the website also claims “customer service representatives will be available around the clock with average telephone hold times of less than one minute...” and as for the around the clock, that’s also a lie. If you call their number 800 number you will be told the times of their customer service. Also a lie is their phone automated system will tell you “Our goal processing time is 30-days since receipt”. As it has been 3 months since my initial claim and 2 months since my follow up claim, please do not be fooled by their timeline.

On 10/10/18 I reached out to my travel agent for assistance as I had still not heard anything. On 10/11/18 I missed the first ever call from TripMate. On 10/12/18, I finally received a call from Ryan **. Ryan informed me that my claim check was cut today for just over $300. I clarified with him and he informed me the number again. This was well below the $1,852.31 that I claimed. Ryan provided no reason for the $1,500 discrepancy. He did say it looks like they “forgot to add my Wife” to the claim. Odd since the paperwork sent in and on file in the claims status clearly shows my wife. Even so, if you double the check, there is still over $1,000 not covered.

When I asked if Ryan could confirm why there was a gap, he could not provide a line item breakdown of the payment. I then asked if I could resend him the same info from 8/14 for us to review together, which I did. I agreed there was a large difference in the dollar amount spent per day, and he offered to re-open a claim which could be reviewed in 2 weeks. I mentioned this was unacceptable and asked to speak to a supervisor. He then said there is no policy for supervisors to take phone calls from customers.

I then asked for the correct spelling of his name and his supervisor’s name so I could write my review, he all of the sudden said “let me see if I can get my supervisor.” Funny since 1 minute earlier there was no supervisor according to their policy. He put me on hold and proceeded to try and find Ashley ** who is the Customer Service Supervisor. Shockingly enough, Ashley was unavailable, but I have been told I will receive a call in 24-48 hours. In the meantime, according to Ryan, I am back in a 2 week holding pattern for TripMate to review the SAME INFORMATION that was sent in July, then again in August of this year.

This is completely unacceptable and does not reflect TripMate's Online Philosophy of “We value our relationships with our many partners: the insurance carriers that we represent, the travel organizations who distribute our products, and, most importantly, the individuals for whom we provide benefits and services.” I can assure you I do not feel valued.

I can’t stress enough that if you are searching for insurance for your next trip, please DO NOT CONSIDER TRIP MATE. You will regret your decision, as we do. PS… My call was fully recorded, including Ryan ** letting me know that he could not find any communication to us over the past few months even though they claim a 30 day response, so if there is any question about the above statements, I challenge Trip Mate to release the recording for review.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Had a claim on 07/23/2018. Still cannot get it settled! Get a runaround every time I call for a update. It has been in the review hands for Two months? Trying to get this resolved with 14 calls to the company.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I submitted the all documents, receipts by mail on 7/30, I didn't get any response for 1.5 month, then they send me email they need all my receipts again. This is awful company, I wish I review the consumers complaints before, they just don't want to pay you, unless you hire your attorney.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I always purchase travel insurance for long overseas trips and feel good about doing it. So I felt confident when, in June 2018, I had to cancel a trip to Africa due to illness. About a week before the scheduled departure, I filed a claim with Trip Mate. I don't mind the paperwork they require and was able to provide everything. My doctor sent a letter even before I could get my documents together, so no delay there. TM has what looks like a pretty efficient online claim site where you can see all activity so I could track receipt of all documents and communications and progress of the claim. After an initial flurry of entries, all activity ceased. No one ever answered the phone when I called - just a recording which explains that they were experiencing a high volume of claims and refers caller to the website.

I was willing to be patient, checking the website daily, but after 3 months, still unable to get a real person on the phone, I requested a call back from them. And I got one! The person I spoke with seemed surprised I hadn't received a check. He said it got stuck in the process and he would move it along and I should have a check by the end of the month. That was September. It is now October and still no check, although I can see it has been approved for payment. So at least I am hopeful that I may see a check eventually. I can't figure out if these people are dishonest or incompetent. They appear to drag their feet. I also am not sure, with all the bad experiences reported by customers, why the travel companies continue to use them. My advice, if you have filed a claim, is to be patient but persistent.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

While in the initial stages of filing a claim with Trip Mate, and based on the reviews I had read here, I was very concerned that we'd never see any of our money returned. In August of this year, my husband and I had to cancel a trip with Viking Cruises due to his sudden illness. We called Viking on the day we were supposed to depart for the trip, and I downloaded the claim forms from Trip Mate on the same day. My husband had seen the doctor about ten days prior to our departure date and was still not fit for travel. I read the insurance policy very carefully and followed all of the instructions to a tee. It took about two weeks to get all the documents together and signed by our physician. I kept copies of everything I submitted. I MAILED all documents (certified mail with return receipt service). Because of this, I was able to see exactly when Trip Mate received my documents and who signed for them.

I checked Trip Mate's website and it showed that they updated the claim status to reflect receipt of the documents, on the same day that the return receipt stated that they had been delivered. I continued checking the claim status online every few days, and after about two weeks, I called Trip Mate to inquire how much longer our refund might take. The rep informed me that the claim had been approved and sent to the accounting department. She told me to allow 5-10 business days for them to send me an electronic check. About 12 days after this, (and exactly 30 days after they received all my documents), I called to ask about the check. I experienced very long hold times (in excess of 15 minutes), but I selected a prompt to ask for an automatic return call. Literally 5 minutes after that, and without actually talking to a real live person, I received one of our checks in my email.

When I called immediately afterward to inquire about the whereabouts of the second check, I again experienced long hold times, but again requested a return call. Within ten minutes of that, I got a call back from a rep who explained that the second check went to my husband's email. Sure enough, there it was in his email. We deposited both checks with no problems, as a full reimbursement of our trip payment. From the beginning, Trip Mate stated HOW and WHEN everything would happen with our refund, and I must say, they followed through on their statements. My best advice is to read your policy very well, follow every single instruction, and keep a good document trail. I would have given five stars for our Trip Mate experience, but the month-long wait for the return of our money was a bit anxiety-provoking. Overall, I am very relieved and satisfied with our experience.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I took Trip Mate to cover a car rental on a trip to Barbados in July 2018 and unfortunately I had an accident that cost me US$5400.00. I immediately filed a claim with Trip Mate and to this date October 10th, 2018 I have had no resolution to the matter. Everytime I call the agent says give them another week. Yesterday they said give them two weeks. They promise a 30 day turnaround time but it is now almost 90 days. They never contact you to update you on the progress but tout their service like it's the best. I believe that it is a sham and I plan on filing a complaint with the American insurance regulators and then a lawsuit against Trip Mate and Fareportal if my claim is not settled by end of October 2018.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Wish I could give less than 1! The whole premise of TripMate's Insurance is that you are a liar, you are trying to extort money from them, and that you will finally give up on their "process" and just say forget it! Trip to Europe with my family (10 people). Flight delayed due to weather, had to stay overnight in Atlanta since we missed our connection to London. Lost our prepaid hotel, transfers, and train from London to Paris. Had to pay for a hotel in Atlanta and extra night in Paris. Upon returning home, started the claim "process". They want you to prove EVERYTHING beyond a reasonable doubt! You can't just send your receipts and original itinerary. They want to know the date you purchased their insurance policy! Really?!!

You also have to send your credit card statement showing you were actually charged for your expenses, in addition to all your receipts. And you need a letter from the airline showing how, when, and why you missed your connecting flights and how, when, and where you were rerouted including flight numbers and seat assignments. They say it takes 30 days after they receive ALL your documents, even if you already sent them and they send you a letter stating you have to resend them, which then restarts the 30 day clock. So far it has been 92 days since I started this process and still no check. This "process" has cost me 74 hours of my life I will never get back, including phone calls, collecting documents, completing their ridiculous forms, emails, re-sending documents I already sent. DO NOT use this company!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

After waiting 4 months they send me a letter saying "that because I live less than 50 miles from the airport they won't reimburse me". My flight was canceled. I am single with no family and the person that dropped me at the airport was a friend and he lives 1 hour away from the airport. So, I thought staying at the hotel I'll get reimburse however, after all documentation nothing happened. This company should be sue in a class suit. They are scammers. Don't waste your money. They won't reimburse you.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

My experience seems to be very different from all the other reviews I see on this site. My attorney drafted a letter and sent my collected documentation and within 30 days, my claim was paid. This was a canceled plane ticket from Michigan to Dallas due to a grave illness and hospitalization of my mother. I was sure to provide my attorney all the information requested for the illness and hospital stay. I take my rather infrequent travel plans very seriously and was very disappointed that I had to cancel at all but I was pleased that my claim was considered and reviewed so quickly.

Trip Mate Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.

• 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.

• Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.

• 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.

• Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.

• Best for: Party animals, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky