3.35/5

Looking for travel insurance?

Trip Mate Insurance

Looking for travel insurance?

444 Trip Mate Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 24, 2019

Well, having read the earlier reviews, was concerned. But...Tripmate has recently been acquired by a highly regarded major insurance company. Had to cancel a trip we had booked with Pleasant Holidays. We purchased cancel for any reason trip insurance. Wife got sick before the trip began, so we cancelled. Went onto Tripmate.com to begin the process of filing. They provide you with very specific information they need and all of the instructions for filing the claim. Was a piece of cake. Filled out the forms online, then printed them off. Also printed the doctor's form. Had doctor complete the form. Then scanned all of the forms, and the rest of the trip documentation Tripmate needed (all of the usual stuff everyone should have when they book a trip) and emailed the info to Tripmate.

Received notification of receipt by Tripmate 2 days later with a link to follow status of claim. 6 days later they had completed their review of my claim (no further information was needed) with "payment pending approval" posted in claim status. 5 days later "payment processing--Echeck pending" posted to claim status. 9 days later I received the echecks (full payment) via email. I printed them and then immediately scanned them in with my mobile bank deposit app, and the next day the checks had cleared and were officially in my bank account. Whole process (from filing the info to getting the echecks) took a total of 23 days. All I can say is... bravo to Tripmate....can't imagine any other trip insurance company handling a claim so expeditiously and with no additional requests for more information.

Original review: April 27, 2019

When I purchased my travel insurance it was through World Nomad. I didnt know that Tripmate is the processing company. After I looked at the review here I was afraid that they won't reimburse my cancellation trip. Before I filed my cancellation trip prior to departure I called World Nomad and they advised me to gather all documents and upload when ready to submit. Which I followed the instruction and had to go back to my physician as a different form is needed. I submitted everything at once on April 1. April 3rd I received my confirmation that the application has been received and they are processing it. April 18 I received from the company that they have approved my claim but it was partial which it was fine because it was off by 50 dollars. Today I received my 1800 dollar check. Can't complain. It takes time but everything was done within 30 days. I would certainly purchase through them again.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Purchased Trip Mate when booking a two week Viking ocean cruise. On October the 26th, on the 8th day of the cruise, my Father suffered a heart attack while on the island of Curacao. That was the first time I read the reviews online regarding Trip Mate and Was very concerned having read all the negative reviews and was ready to go to war with Viking Cruises and Trip Mate. I was asked to keep an open mind and was assured that the claim would be handled fairly and in a timely manner.

The first four days passed without any issues. All the claim forms were provided via email almost immediately and per the treating physicians advice, my father was flown back to the US in first class with a nurse that Trip Mate flew to the Island of Curacao to meet him and to accompany him the entire way. I have to add that They were also prepared to fly him via private air ambulance jet should he require that level of support prior to his condition improving on the third and fourth day. During that same time my mother incurred hotel and other trip delay costs as well. All the costs of the repatriation were paid for without any issue directly and upfront by Trip Mate. To my surprise, so far so good. I have to add that to this point all calls were answered quickly and I received polite, friendly and concerned service. I was still surprised having read all the negative reviews.

Once back in the US I reviewed carefully the claim form. I had to wait over 30 days for St. Elisabeth hospital in Curacao to provide all the final invoices and for Viking cruises to do so as well. Once I gathered all the invoices and receipts and submitted all the information to Trip Mate including the original receipts for the cruise, costs incurred by my mother for hotel stay and food and all the Medical bills and medical reports, I submitted everything online with PDF copies of all the documents. I received confirmation of the received documents via Email within 12 hours and was able to confirm this online as well via a claim portal. I also called to confirm that everything was received and again received courteous, accurate and prompt service.

After a few weeks I could see online that the trip interruption and travel delay claims were processed and that a three payments for the FULL claimed amounts were processed. Again, I have to say that I was shocked given the bad reviews. About a week later I received all three checks. As for the medical reimbursement, I was refunded 90% of the cost by my own health insurance. Trip Mate advised that once I receive an explanation of benefits from my primary insurance policy that they would then finalize the medical portion claim.

To date, I've had ZERO complaints or issues with Trip Mate. I was surprised initially that Viking Cruises would use such a "shady Company" (based on the negative reviews of course). Turns out that they are not shady at all. I cannot explain all the negative reviews but felt compelled to share my own experience. All I can say is that I did provide a very detailed claim form with every piece of information requested. Having said this, given my experience with Trip Mate so far, I would highly recommend using Trip Mate. At least with a Viking Cruise... This was one of the easiest insurance claims experiences I ever had. Zero complaints. Everything was handled professionally and quickly.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

While in the initial stages of filing a claim with Trip Mate, and based on the reviews I had read here, I was very concerned that we'd never see any of our money returned. In August of this year, my husband and I had to cancel a trip with Viking Cruises due to his sudden illness. We called Viking on the day we were supposed to depart for the trip, and I downloaded the claim forms from Trip Mate on the same day. My husband had seen the doctor about ten days prior to our departure date and was still not fit for travel. I read the insurance policy very carefully and followed all of the instructions to a tee. It took about two weeks to get all the documents together and signed by our physician. I kept copies of everything I submitted. I MAILED all documents (certified mail with return receipt service). Because of this, I was able to see exactly when Trip Mate received my documents and who signed for them.

I checked Trip Mate's website and it showed that they updated the claim status to reflect receipt of the documents, on the same day that the return receipt stated that they had been delivered. I continued checking the claim status online every few days, and after about two weeks, I called Trip Mate to inquire how much longer our refund might take. The rep informed me that the claim had been approved and sent to the accounting department. She told me to allow 5-10 business days for them to send me an electronic check. About 12 days after this, (and exactly 30 days after they received all my documents), I called to ask about the check. I experienced very long hold times (in excess of 15 minutes), but I selected a prompt to ask for an automatic return call. Literally 5 minutes after that, and without actually talking to a real live person, I received one of our checks in my email.

When I called immediately afterward to inquire about the whereabouts of the second check, I again experienced long hold times, but again requested a return call. Within ten minutes of that, I got a call back from a rep who explained that the second check went to my husband's email. Sure enough, there it was in his email. We deposited both checks with no problems, as a full reimbursement of our trip payment. From the beginning, Trip Mate stated HOW and WHEN everything would happen with our refund, and I must say, they followed through on their statements. My best advice is to read your policy very well, follow every single instruction, and keep a good document trail. I would have given five stars for our Trip Mate experience, but the month-long wait for the return of our money was a bit anxiety-provoking. Overall, I am very relieved and satisfied with our experience.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

The claim that I made with TripMate insurance is finally settled - The TripMate e-check arrived online in the full amount (of the limit) of the claim. I am now a happy camper and would have given TripMate 5 stars, but gave 4 instead because of the following: 1) Documentation required for claim is excessive. You must save EVERYTHING about your trip, your expenses, plane tickets, hotel/places stayed, police reports, hospital reports, witnesses, etc. This took me the better part of a day to collect, scan, and submit these records to the TripMate online claim form.

2) Claim I.D. number changes excessively. You start your claim with your Plan # and your Trip Insurance #, then receive a claim # WHICH CHANGES as they email you or when you check the status of the claim online. My claim number changed 3 times. 3) Wait time excessive for claim e-check payment. After all of my required documentation was received by TripMate, I still has an almost 2 month wait for the e-check. My insurance agent guy does not understand the wait time that TripMate uses to pay a claim. His company settles well-documented claims within weeks, not months.

Will I use TripMate insurance again on a future trip? Definitely yes. TripMate insurance is an excellent value. They cover things that other trip companies do not at a very reasonable price. Now that I know the rules of the TripMate claim process, I will be better prepared if I require it again. Knowing how the "claim-game" is played by TripMate gives me a better understanding of the process, and yes, patience is a virtue.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

We scheduled a Lindblad National Geographic Expedition and purchased trip insurance from Trip Mate. Subsequently, my husband received a diagnosis of leukemia, and he began chemotherapy. Sadly, we had to cancel our dream trip. On June 28, Trip Mate received a complete copy of all forms to make our claim. Fortunately, Lindblad had already refunded 50% of my trip's cost. 8 weeks since Trip Mate received my documentation and several phone calls, I am still waiting for a check from Trip Mate. They promise 25 day (5 weeks) reimbursement. After 25 days, they requested another 21 days. I want to let others know that receiving a Trip Mate reimbursement for a trip cancelled for medical reasons may be a long process. And I can't say whether they will refund the rest of my trip's cost.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Anyone who uses this service deserves what they get, which is nothing! The lying never stops. They will tell you anything to put off reimbursing you what you are entitle to. We purchased insurance to be fully reimbursed for ANY REASON and still they refuse to reimburse us. The excuses and inept support is shocking. Stay far away from this company. We have documented proof that we are legally entitled to get reimbursed should we need to cancel and NOTHING but excuses. If you use this company you deserve what you get. Don't be a fool. Lastly, I'd be shocked if they had the decency to publish this.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

My complaint is that we purchased a travel protection plan to cover our vacation but chose the wrong travel insurance company. It’s the wrong choice for anyone because they care more about making excuses not to pay a claim versus paying a claim. We sent a claim to Trip Mate to reimburse us for having to rebook our flight and a change fee incurred but all our requests have been denied (received 3 different response from Trip Mate as to why they wouldn’t pay our claim). Three systems were in the Atlantic at the time of our travel, Hurricane Isaac being the main one of concern being St. Lucia was its projected path as per the National Emergency Management Organization. Multiple warnings indicated that St. Lucia was in the path of Hurricane Isaac.

How would you have handled this situation? Why do we purchase travel insurance? Emergency preparedness plans on St. Lucia were being advised, not to mention heavy rain, flooding wind shear & rip tide warnings. Based on the current forecasted tracks, Dominica, Martinique & St. Lucia were at the highest risk for a direct hit form Hurricane Isaac. I will definitely share my experience with everyone and let them know what travel insurance they should not use in the present and/or future.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I booked a vacation trip to Europe with Overseas Adventure Travel which recommended that I get travel insurance with Trip Mate. Unfortunately I was unable to travel because of an injury. I met all of the requirements of providing a medical excuse that Trip Mate said was adequate. I called multiple times when the check didn’t arrive. Trip Mate said that they mailed a check which still had not arrived in over twenty days. Their response was to tell me to wait longer, in fact, an additional thirty days. Every attempt I made to get my check was met with delaying tactics on the part of Trip Mate. If you are looking to get travel insurance, get another company.

Original review: July 22, 2019

This is a horrible company!!!! Do not purchase insurance through them. Whatever you do do not use them!!!! I'm currently 21 weeks pregnant and sent my claim in the beginning of June. I am just now hearing back and my claim was denied because it's a normal pregnancy. I'm due 12/2 and the trip was for 12/3. What do they expect. For me to give birth on the flight to dr???? They are a fraud company that steals from you!!!! Whatever you do do not use them!! They will steal your money.

Trip Mate Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.

• 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.

• Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.

• 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.

• Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.

• Best for: Party animals, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky