1.13/5
  • 1 star
Based on 91 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for travel insurance?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 7, 2017

213 Trip Mate Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

My husband and I took the travel insurance from Trip Mate offered through Vantage for a recent trip, but about 10 days before our departure we had to cancel the trip for medical reasons. We were glad that we had taken the rather expensive trip insurance, but now, more than 2 months after filing our claim, we have yet to receive payment, and in fact, have received no communication from Trip Mate. I just spent yet another extended time on the phone in the hopes of reaching a live person. This has been my experience every time I have tried to contact them. The representative told me that he would "expedite" our claim, and when I tried to check on the exact dollar amount to be sure that our facts and figures agreed, he said that he did not have access to that information! This gives the impression of being a second-rate enterprise that doesn't deliver the service it advertises.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I booked a trip on Windstar for my daughter, myself and my dad. Sadly, my mom fell and ended up in a traumatic brain injury hospital. We cancelled the trip in early August 2017 and completed all the required paperwork. They sent us a request for the Physician's Statement, which I again provided. I tried to call and sat on hold for 45 minutes, and had to go. I've sent multiple emails with no response. I have now emailed the CEO of Trip Mate. Our travel agent typically recommends high-quality trips and services. This was a miss. It's been four months and no payments. They sent another request to my Dad for the Physician Statement, as if he doesn't have enough to deal with. I will work to get reimbursed and have reached out to my travel agent, but not sure she has any leverage with this.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I purchased trip insurance with Trip Mate since I work in emergency management and hurricane season was upcoming. Hurricane Harvey rolled in and I had to cancel my trip to respond to the disaster. I filed a claim with Trip Mate and uploaded all required documentation. 3 months later, my claim is still pending... I have called Trip Mate almost a dozen times (typically waiting 30 minutes on the line before being informed that they would call me back hours later) and they always informed me that an investigator hadn't taken a look at my claim yet. Even after expediting my claim, I still haven't heard an update (as of 12/2)... This is absolutely unacceptable for an 'open and close' claim. I could understand delays if they had issues or questions about my documentation, but to not have assigned someone to the claim is horrible, horrible, service. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My daughter was told she could cancel her trip for any reason if she could not attend the trip. She cancelled 9/6/2017. Today is 11/28/17 and I still have not been able to get anything out of them. I call every week and get the runaround. The travel agent is of no help. I was really hoping that her school, who promoted this, would assist but again nothing. DO NOT USE TRIP MATE!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

My mother and I were to go on a River Cruise in Europe in September. The weekend I was to fly out, we had a hurricane (IRMA) here in Florida. The airport was shut down and I was unable to get to Denver to pick up my mother and fly to Europe. Viking recommended Trip Mate for the insurance company. We submitted the claim on Sept. 6th and all of the proof and documentation they needed. Still "under review." If we do not re-book within the next few weeks, the cruise will sell out and we will not be able to take the trip. VERY DISAPPOINTED and FRUSTRATED with this company. It has been 3 months. The insurance was approx. $1400 for 2 people (that, in and of itself, is ridiculous to begin with). Wondering if this company is a scam and if anyone gets their money back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I am in hearty approval of the numerous negative ratings for this insurance company. They are difficult to get on the phone and don't really have any information when you are able to reach them. I have submitted a claim for cancellation reimbursement about two months ago and am still waiting for payment in what should be a very straightforward claim. I think that the various travel companies that deal with this company should be ashamed. Grand Circle you can do better. Better get your insurance from another insurance broker than deal with these people.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I also sent in all my information 2 months ago and have not received my money back. I have e-mailed and called them and have never heard back. This company is a total scam. I bought it through Viking River Cruises. They should not be using this company. I have not received any help from them either.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

We purchased a no-cause policy for a National Geographic trip through NatGeo as the recommended insurer. We had to postpone the trip and did so within the three-days required. We applied for a certificate to rebook at a later date. It has been two months now and they still have not gotten around to reviewing the claim. It impossible to get a customer service person on the phone. You have to leave a number and they will maybe call you back the next day. If you happen to not answer (because the call is an anonymous call from Kansas City) you are out of luck. I have now tried working through NatGeo and they don't appear to be able to get through either. This business is a fraud and I am disappointed that a venerable institution like NatGeo is using them as the recommended trip insurer.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

We had a paid trip with Vantage Travel and because of my wife having a severe foot problem, which she still has, we canceled in August. Vantage sent us a portion in cancellation and said Travel Mate would send the rest of the paid account. We did all the required paperwork and had her Doctor send a signed review of her case. We have yet to receive the refund despite numerous phone calls. I finally had a lawyer friend make contact and as of yet nearly 5 months later we have not received even a notice of our claim. They seem to be a true money grubbing operation and have not ethics. The same applies to Vantage Travel.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I still am holding out hope that I will actually get my money back for my wife and I. I booked a trip to the Caribbean for our 2 year anniversary back in early spring 2017. We were scheduled to be at a Sandals resort the 2nd week of September 2017 for 10 days. Well, unfortunately the hurricanes put a stop to that. I monitored the entire time, & filed my claim 1 week before departure was even scheduled. With all that being said, I purchased this insurance when I purchased the trip too, knowing it was hurricane season! I filed it all online, made sure to do every step correctly.

Over 2 months later still no money back. They owe me over $5,000.00! The status since October 19th has showed "File to claims Department..." What does this mean!?!? When I click on my name, & also my wife, both show "Confirmed, Reserve posted". Again, what does this mean? Use statements that actually make sense to your customers!! I see others have gone through the same nightmare I have experienced. I do not understand how this company is represented and used by thousands of resorts around the world. They need to be held accountable! STAY AWAY FROM THEM AT ALL COSTS!!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Trip Mate has received every document they requested for my claim. Pages and pages of information and now I received a letter requesting “a copy of your revised itinerary along with payment documentation for the return flight”. My original flight was from Belarus to Dominican Republic for one week. What return flight from where to where? I am still in Belarus. I have NOT return to USA! That trip was for vacation. The vacation was CANCELLED because I developed an acute ear infection! They have seen every document proving that. They simply do not want to pay a legitimate claim. They are in the business of collecting premiums, the biggest scam.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

My experience with this company is the same as the reviews I have read: paid fee upfront for insurance, trip delayed due to weather which created expenses of lodging, loss of pre-paid travel and meals, etc. Calls to company have extremely long wait times, resulting in promises of immediate action such as "expediting" claim and return call by end of the week. Never happens. Surely someone has begun legal action against this company. Can anyone tell me the home state of the company and the status of any legal action. We should get together to sue for the money which was promised when we purchased the insurance.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I had minor suitcase damage on a trip to Spain/Portugal this past May/June. Filed for reimbursement on June 19th. After numerous calls--that are never answered--and eventual callbacks. After requests for additional information which they already had acknowledged receipt of--I finally actually received a check on August 30th.

I now have had to file a claim for trip cancellation due to pending surgery. I paid for the trip and insurance in September of 2016. Cancelled and filed online on 10/24 of 2017. They sent acknowledgment letters of receipt on 10/24 and then again on 10/27, advising me to check online for claim status. Nothing under my claim number on their site. Called, and of course, had to leave a message since they never answer the phone. Finally received a call back on 10/31 telling me to check online... Refused to understand that the "activity" section of my claim was blank. Could give me no reason why it was blank. Refused to allow me to speak to a supervisor--said none were ever available.

Excuses given for delays and lack of information were varied. They are sooo busy. No supervisor or customer service persons. Too bad, so sad. Their site was finally updated on 11/1 and my claim file was noted that I had called and that a "folder label was printed." It took 7 weeks for me to receive a check on the last claim. I suppose that this might mean that I will not see resolution and payment until Christmastime. Totally unacceptable customer service, time frame for receipt of payment, lack of communication, etc. They happily kept my fee for the insurance for 14 months. And now delay delay and delay. Truly one of the worst experiences of service I have ever had!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

School sponsored trip to NYC ended for my son and I due to flu. This is exactly why I purchased insurance through this questionable company - trip was scheduled a year in advance and was taking place at the height of flu season for our area. And as the flu usually does, it hits you out of nowhere and this is what happened to us while we were waiting to board (over 4 hours - another story in review for Explorica Co.)

We boarded the plane and realized we couldn't continue with our trip as we both had rising fever and feeling nauseous, so we exited the plane and started making arrangements for the 4 hour trip back home. Well, after 8 months of jumping through hoops with this outfit, I just logged into my claim to see that it has been denied. What a scam - I wish I would have researched this company and read some reviews before purchasing a plan through them.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I too like so many made the mistake and purchased travel insurance from Trip Mate. My flights were cancelled in July and I had to pay for alternative transportation to get me and my wife from Philly to JFK airport or lose my international flight out of JFK altogether. I provided the required documentation to Trip Mate and was denied based on the claims agent's views and not the facts. I have filed a claim with BBB and the State AGs office as their deceptive and fraudulent business practices must be addressed by our legal system because they have been getting away with this for over twenty eight years. Please at all costs save your money and stay away from these con artists!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Wow. These guys really blow. My claim was a clear-cut, SINGLE-line item and they still took 6 months to process it. Their status updates on their website are useless, broken, and completely uninformative (See attached). I'd see no updates and call every month and they'd say, "We're working on it..." and give some excuse. The latest being the hurricanes. Which is lame, because my claim was submitted in May. I finally got my settlement in October. You shouldn't even start with them.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Filed claim in August and it is Oct 26th and we still do not have our refund. It says "reserve posted". Husband needed emergency surgery and all forms completed as requested. No reason for this long of a wait. Had car rental insurance and our timeshare insurance for the villa and all money refunded within 10 days. Like others said, no one answers phone and you have to wait for a call back.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I purchased a celebratory flight with my brother and cousin to travel to Europe. One month after the purchase I had an infection develop that prohibited me from flying for an extended length of time. I followed the process for starting a claim with Trip Mate and provided all the necessary and required documents. Four months later it was determined that Trip Mate felt that I did meet the qualifications for a cash refund and issued a travel voucher despite the fact that I cannot fly (which was listed on the paperwork my doctor filled out).

After discussing with a Trip Mate rep, I was told that it was not possible for anyone to reconsider my case, and that I must now go through an appeal process (which is still not a guarantee). How is this fair practice? There is discrimination in Trip Mate for pre-existing conditions, and they feel that they do not need to express why. The worst part of the experience was having their representative tell me that I should have known that I could get sick because of all of the surgeries I have had (which you the doctor had to tell them, as required by their form). How is that right?? How could they judge me?? I may not be well, but I was clear to fly prior to getting sick. No matter what, I do not and will not recommend this company to anyone. They have no regard for people, Trip Mate just wants your money.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

We filed a travel claim on 3 July 2017. Took until October to process claim. It is October 20, 2017, and still no refund. This is insane and unacceptable. DO NOT use this company for your travel insurance. They NEVER answer the phone. Their automated call service is a cruel joke. The online claim tracking system is screwed up as well. Once claim is "processed" it no longer appears in this system. So, I can't get them on phone and can't see my claim in the online system. They owe me thousands of dollars and clearly don't want to pay it out. I would think the Trip Mate employees would be embarrassed to admit they work for such a crap company.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I submitted a claim with Trip Mate on August 30th this year, and they have yet to process it. This is unacceptable, and there is no way to contact them! They never answer the phone, and call back only to say that they do not have any update of information for me because the claim has not been processed. What kind of company is this? They are either severely understaffed or underfunded or both. Wonder if I will ever hear back from them.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I paid a significant amount of money to cover myself and my family (4 people) on an Asia trip.The heretofore reputable broker on the trip suddenly defaulted very near to the departure date and had not paid any of the prepaid ground in Asia excursion costs. Hence my $32k prepaid was at risk. The Trip Mate policy was supposed to cover Tour Operator default and Agent Commission so long as all conditions were met. I rebooked the trip through my travel agent directly w/ the Japan Ground Operator and paid a second time assuming that Trip Mate would refund the original deposits and Agent commission. In the end, my credit card company actually refunded the entire original deposit. However, not being certain if a refund would or would not occur from any party, I made the claim with my Travel Agent's advice with both parties.

Trip Mate claims management was impossible, yes impossible to deal with. Long delays, never returning a call per commitment, long hold times and then disconnect, providing incorrect status information and in the end providing no commission coverage to my travel agent even though Trip Mate confirmed with me that I wanted that coverage provided to my agent and they would pay it. I travel considerably Internationally and have always used this coverage and will not ever use them again and I strongly suggest; buyer beware here. I felt like they were doing everything possible and egregiously so, to find a way not to finalize this claim. My Travel Planner has since discontinued selling this insurance to any of her clients.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I submitted a LOT of required documentation for a claim that I submitted on 7/24/17. I was told to expect resolution in 30 days. On 9/1 I called them and spoke to Tina who told me that I would get an update from her on 9/7. That call never came. I called again on 9/15 and spoke to Jane who said I would get an update within a week. Again, no follow up. I called again on 10/3 and talked to Jeff who says I should hear something “very soon”. He is unable to put me in touch with a supervisor. As of this date, there has been no resolution to my claim and I expect there won’t be based on previous failure to follow through. DO NOT BUY ANY TRAVEL INSURANCE FROM THIS COMPANY!!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

To begin with we purchased trip insurance through our travel agent not knowing anything about Trip Mate. We were traveling to Ireland and thought it would be a good idea to protect ourselves since the trip was very costly, and our first trip overseas. A couple of months before our scheduled departure my Father in law became unable to take care of himself and it fell to my wife and I to take care of him. I talked with our travel agent who suggested we file a claim with our trip insurance aka Trip Mate. I pulled up Trip Mate on the internet and was horrified by all the negative reviews. We really had no other options so went ahead and filled out the lengthy claim form.

I will say the physician's page is the most important aspect of the claim form. You must have a signed statement from a physician on the claim form as to why you are unable to take the trip. We included a signed letter as well. We sent in the claim form and immediately received an email verifying that they had received the documents and to follow the progress of the claim online. I will say it takes about a month of paperwork before it made it to the claims department. The claims department worked on our claim for about 3 weeks and did in fact approve the claim. They sent an e-check to Deluxe checks who emailed to us shortly after.

You will not receive any emails during claims process, but can follow progress online. I did make a few calls during the process and recommend to opt for call back as wait times are lengthy. I was always called back. Their reps basically had same info that is online. Overall I will say the process although lengthy (about two months from start to finish) was a positive experience. Please do not be discouraged by the negative reviews. We filed a legitimate claim and were taken care of. Thanks to Trip Mate our trip was protected.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I submitted my Claim in March 2017. It's now September 18, 2017. Have Not seen my Reimbursement or any update on their website!!! My mom was murdered while on vacation in Mexico!!! Submitted everything and still that was not good enough. Denied my claim, I appealed. Still nothing. I give up... I want to also join the Lawsuit. Never have I felt Robbed and Scammed until Now. Tripmate is the worst, Heartless, undependable, Scammed, Liars, Mislead, Thieves, etc. Shame on you. Keep my $548. Hopefully it buys your Claims Examiners A???

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

My wife and I purchased Trip Mate Insurance from Collette Tours when we decided to take a trip on April 3, 2017 To Ireland. While on the trip, I became sick and had to see a doctor and also get some prescriptions filled that the doctor recommended. Total bill for both were $100. I filed the claim to get my money on 04/17/2017. I sent all the required documentation and did not hear from them. I called twice and the last time I was told this plan was an Excess Plan. It only pays the amount your other insurance plan does not cover. They don't tell you it's a third-party insurance company with shady rules until after you make the purchase. They wanted an Explanation of Benefits indicating the amount paid or denied for the submitted expenses from my insurance company.

I told them my insurance was Medicare and Bankers Fidelity and they did not pay for overseas expenses, that's the reason I purchased their insurance. They insisted that I send them an Explanation of Benefits from my secondary policy. I made a copy of them from my insurance policy and forwarded it to them on 6/13/17. After a couple of weeks I called them again and they stated that they needed a copy of the Explanation of Benefits from the Insurance Company stating the amount paid or denied. I contacted my insurance company and explained to them what Trip Mate required and they stated they would forward the information requested. 08/02/17.

After another several weeks I received a letter indicating that they needed the Explanation of Benefits within the next 21 days of the claim would be closed. I forwarded a copy of the information my insurance company sent me and have not heard from them. 08/23/17. I submitted the claim in April 2017 and here it is in September 2017, five months later and still have not settled the claim. It takes an excruciating process to get a customer service person on the phone and receive any updates. They do not return calls or answer their phones and if you're lucky enough to get someone to answer the phone they do not tell you the truth and constantly change their stories. The website is useless. They have a very poor or worst customer service.

I see this situation as this company has no accountability or responsibility to consumers except to reach inside their wallets and take their hard earned money. Being hypocritical and racing to the nearest bank is what your company is all about and not focusing on the value your customers truly have on increasing your bottom line and profit margins if done honestly. This company is truly a crooked and is running a scam on travel insurance. Friendly advice. Don't purchase any protection plan from TRIP MATE!! They will just give you a headache. Collette Tours should partner with someone else because these people suck!!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I reserved a all inclusive vacation package through Apple Vacations and purchased travel insurance through Trip Mate. Due to airline cancellations my trip was delayed for a day and a half resulting in me having to fly economy versus the First Class seat purchased and missing the first night at the all inclusive resort in Jamaica. Upon my return I immediately contacted Airline who promptly issued a refund on August 10th of the difference in fare paid for the first class seat. Unfortunately the refund check was sent to Apple Vacation who held it for over a month before returning funds sent to them on my behalf. I should note that Apple Vacation's "travel agency" did absolutely nothing to assist in rebooking flights when the airline canceled or in requesting this refund. When I contacted them about my refund they lied and said it takes a month to get mail from the airline!

In regards to Trip Mate, I submitted a complete claim as indicated in their own records on August 7th. I was told that it would take 2 to 3 weeks to process the refund for the missed night at the resort. When I called this morning to once again check on the status of my refund the representative told me that my completed claim had not been received until August 28th which was not true. The only thing that occurred on August 28th was my phone call to the company to let them know that they had an incorrect telephone number. I advised the representative of this and also advised him that another representative had also confirmed the August 7th receipt of my completed claim.

When I asked to speak to a Supervisor I was told that there wasn't anyone available and that my only option was to call back (I was on hold for almost a hour for this call). I wish I had read the reviews on both Apple Vacations and Trip Mate before utilizing their companies for my trip. I will never again use either one and hope that other buyers will beware.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I purchase this Trip Mate Insurance the same day I purchased our trip. We were told that we could cancel at any time and get a voucher back but for cash back we would have to have a medical reason. I have not received my letter but I did call the company today, again, because I saw the claim was denied and the case is closed! I do have a medical reason and the doctor's certificate was sent along with the other required information. I need a total knee replacement on my left knee and an unable to walk long distances.

This trip, as well as many other trips requires a lot of walking. My doctor signed a disability slip from July 20th 2017 when I saw him through October 20th 2017. My trip should have started today, Sept. 15, 2017. I submitted the claim early July and have called a few times and checked online today and they said it was denied online. I did call the company and she said I have to wait for the letter. She also said it was about the medical disability and the time frame.

We were told by AAA we had to purchase it at the time we booked the Globus tour which we did. Obviously, I cannot take this trip and I don't understand why it was not approved. I did ask who the Archer was and actually they didn't want to give me any information but I did get her name and I wanted to know the qualifications for her to make such a decision. However that information was not available. We have traveled with Globus before and have always enjoyed our trips. Apparently now I have to do with written appeal. HELP!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

We canceled our flight within 24 hours due to illness. We have submitted our Medical and doctor's report. There has been no communication except an acceptance of our documents online. This a very simple, straightforward claim and I have a feeling that this company is a sham and does not pay their claims. I will wait ten days and start the claim through the Insurance Commissioner.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

We were all set to go on a Gateway to Eastern Europe tour when a serious health problem occurred to my husband. Viking was not contractually obligated to refund us any moneys, but we had purchased trip insurance. Trip Mate (or Tripmate - the company has not decided) was the only insurance we were offered. It's been almost two months since we initiated our claim with them and we still have not been reimbursed. Every day they have new, ridiculous excuses for us not receiving e-checks they supposedly issued - "Have you looked in your Spam box" was a favorite with all their reps.

Then they asked me to call the e-check issuer - which I refused. My contract is with Viking and Tripmate, not with some money-changers. Please, Viking, help me recoup my substantial moneys. Also, after the treatment from Trip Mate (or Tripmate) I should get a discount from the $1,230 paid to them. And, Viking clients, you can go and get your own trip insurance (which I had not been aware of). Trip Mate has a very bad track record - check it yourselves.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Bought TripMate insurance for Mt Blanc hike through Country Walkers and am terribly frustrated with the experience. Had to cancel the trip at last minute due to medical emergency, submitted all the detailed paperwork including Dr letter on Aug 2 and as of Sep 11 have received absolutely no communication or response from them. They give you a website to track progress which claims they have send acknowledgments, but we have gotten nothing.

Calls to their call centers go to service reps reading from a script who cant do anything (though she did confirm they had my email address correct). They are now hiding behind the hurricane volume excuse -- but my claim went in weeks before the storms. I have called the call center twice and gotten nowhere other than long periods of time on hold. Was told on Aug 22 they would call me back the next week and heard nothing. Called again today (Sept 11) and was told a variety of clearly scripted lines: "Only a supervisor can resend the email", "A member of management will call you in 24-48 hours" (I pointed out that didn't happen after Aug 22 call...), etc. My only hope now is getting the travel company to help intervene.

Trip Mate Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.

• 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.

• Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.

• 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.

• Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.

• Best for: Party animals, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky