3.26/5

Looking for travel insurance?

Trip Mate Insurance

Looking for travel insurance?

Trip Mate Insurance Reviews

Original review: May 24, 2019

Well, having read the earlier reviews, was concerned. But...Tripmate has recently been acquired by a highly regarded major insurance company. Had to cancel a trip we had booked with Pleasant Holidays. We purchased cancel for any reason trip insurance. Wife got sick before the trip began, so we cancelled. Went onto Tripmate.com to begin the process of filing. They provide you with very specific information they need and all of the instructions for filing the claim. Was a piece of cake. Filled out the forms online, then printed them off. Also printed the doctor's form. Had doctor complete the form. Then scanned all of the forms, and the rest of the trip documentation Tripmate needed (all of the usual stuff everyone should have when they book a trip) and emailed the info to Tripmate.

Received notification of receipt by Tripmate 2 days later with a link to follow status of claim. 6 days later they had completed their review of my claim (no further information was needed) with "payment pending approval" posted in claim status. 5 days later "payment processing--Echeck pending" posted to claim status. 9 days later I received the echecks (full payment) via email. I printed them and then immediately scanned them in with my mobile bank deposit app, and the next day the checks had cleared and were officially in my bank account. Whole process (from filing the info to getting the echecks) took a total of 23 days. All I can say is... bravo to Tripmate....can't imagine any other trip insurance company handling a claim so expeditiously and with no additional requests for more information.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I filed a claim for the full cost of a 2 week trip to Europe for 2 people ($6,800). 2 months before departure I discovered a tumor in my colon that required extensive surgery and hospitalization. My doctor discouraged me from traveling so we canceled the trip. I filed my claim online April 25th. Emailed the doctors form to my surgeon who emailed it to Trip Mate. On May 7th I was approved for a full refund for me and my daughter. The entire process was simple, though it did require pulling together several proof documents. In this day and age of insurance fraud you cannot blame a company for verifying everything. I fully expected to have to fight for my refund based on my general experience with insurance companies, but Trip Mate made it clear what documentation they needed, I provided it and they approved. It was just that smooth and professional. I will use them again in the future.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2019

When I purchased my travel insurance it was through World Nomad. I didnt know that Tripmate is the processing company. After I looked at the review here I was afraid that they won't reimburse my cancellation trip. Before I filed my cancellation trip prior to departure I called World Nomad and they advised me to gather all documents and upload when ready to submit. Which I followed the instruction and had to go back to my physician as a different form is needed. I submitted everything at once on April 1. April 3rd I received my confirmation that the application has been received and they are processing it. April 18 I received from the company that they have approved my claim but it was partial which it was fine because it was off by 50 dollars. Today I received my 1800 dollar check. Can't complain. It takes time but everything was done within 30 days. I would certainly purchase through them again.

Original review: April 10, 2019

We had to cancel our Globus tour to France this month due to a traveling companion's illness and had to process our Trip Mate claim. I made sure I included all the documentation required. I did follow up with them via phone, using their call back service. The called back within an hour or so. I had read all of these horrendous reviews and figured we'd never get our money back. Wow, was I was surprised! We received a full refund within 30 days of filing the claim! Pleased and relieved.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Purchased Trip Mate when booking a two week Viking ocean cruise. On October the 26th, on the 8th day of the cruise, my Father suffered a heart attack while on the island of Curacao. That was the first time I read the reviews online regarding Trip Mate and Was very concerned having read all the negative reviews and was ready to go to war with Viking Cruises and Trip Mate. I was asked to keep an open mind and was assured that the claim would be handled fairly and in a timely manner.

The first four days passed without any issues. All the claim forms were provided via email almost immediately and per the treating physicians advice, my father was flown back to the US in first class with a nurse that Trip Mate flew to the Island of Curacao to meet him and to accompany him the entire way. I have to add that They were also prepared to fly him via private air ambulance jet should he require that level of support prior to his condition improving on the third and fourth day. During that same time my mother incurred hotel and other trip delay costs as well. All the costs of the repatriation were paid for without any issue directly and upfront by Trip Mate. To my surprise, so far so good. I have to add that to this point all calls were answered quickly and I received polite, friendly and concerned service. I was still surprised having read all the negative reviews.

Once back in the US I reviewed carefully the claim form. I had to wait over 30 days for St. Elisabeth hospital in Curacao to provide all the final invoices and for Viking cruises to do so as well. Once I gathered all the invoices and receipts and submitted all the information to Trip Mate including the original receipts for the cruise, costs incurred by my mother for hotel stay and food and all the Medical bills and medical reports, I submitted everything online with PDF copies of all the documents. I received confirmation of the received documents via Email within 12 hours and was able to confirm this online as well via a claim portal. I also called to confirm that everything was received and again received courteous, accurate and prompt service.

After a few weeks I could see online that the trip interruption and travel delay claims were processed and that a three payments for the FULL claimed amounts were processed. Again, I have to say that I was shocked given the bad reviews. About a week later I received all three checks. As for the medical reimbursement, I was refunded 90% of the cost by my own health insurance. Trip Mate advised that once I receive an explanation of benefits from my primary insurance policy that they would then finalize the medical portion claim.

To date, I've had ZERO complaints or issues with Trip Mate. I was surprised initially that Viking Cruises would use such a "shady Company" (based on the negative reviews of course). Turns out that they are not shady at all. I cannot explain all the negative reviews but felt compelled to share my own experience. All I can say is that I did provide a very detailed claim form with every piece of information requested. Having said this, given my experience with Trip Mate so far, I would highly recommend using Trip Mate. At least with a Viking Cruise... This was one of the easiest insurance claims experiences I ever had. Zero complaints. Everything was handled professionally and quickly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

While I was 2 days into a 21 day tour, my husband had a stroke. I returned home immediately, and have been his caregiver 24/7 since August 8, 2019. My husband refused medical treatment, as he had for over 30 years. I finally got him to go to the emergency room after it a really happened, and confirmed that he did have a stroke. I've purchased this insurance 26 times, but they failed to even speak with me about my claim. Also, dragged process out until November 11, 2019 to decline any payment to me.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Booked a trip to Italy in January 2019 for travel in September thru great value vacation. Had to cancel in August due to my wife having blood clots in her leg could not walk long distance, filled out all the forms. Doctor filled out his form. Thirty days later they denied the claim. I will appeal for all the good it will do. When I purchased the trip I GOT THE INSURANCE thru the booking. After being denied I checked out the company, too late then. After reading the reviews I believe the company has no intention to pay claims.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

They are a real scammer, no customer service, you can not reach them, super slow when responding and making all gimmicks not to pay you the travel insurance, read all reviews, and you will understand they are here to get your money and when it is really the case to support, they are not there. Their staff are untrained, after couple of hours when you get a chance to talk to them, they give your wrong information and directions.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

Trip Mate is the most unethical insurance company I have ever encountered. They make up lies to justify not paying claims. Their service is slow and arbitrary. They have no intention of paying claims. We paid twice for our trip insurance and did not collect both times. Our trip was interrupted by American Airlines flight cancellation which caused us to miss our guided adventure with Backroads Travel company. Trip Mate created a story that the flight cancellation was caused by something called "crew unavailable." This we know was a complete lie since we happened to be waiting at the terminal with the pilot who was to fly our plane. This pilot told us an equipment problem was the cause of the cancellation. Trip Mate is a very unethical insurer and should not be allowed to be in business. Very unhappy customers, Gary and Bobbie

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Started claim on September 9th. They owe us over $10,300 for a trip we had to cancel due to my back surgery. Still waiting on payment (it is October 29th). They keep requesting more paperwork at the end of the 30 day clock - and then re-starting the clock. I contacted Overseas Adventure Travel and they told me that they cancelled their contract with TripMate because of the large number of complaints. I am still trying to get my money from TripMate. I filed a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau. (Overseas Adventure Travel paid me their portion promptly.)

Trip Mate Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.

• 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.

• Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.

• 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.

• Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.

• Best for: Party animals, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky