Trip Mate Insurance

Compare Travel Insurance

Research top Travel Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased Travel Insurance for me, my wife and 81 years old mother-in-law for $647.00. United Airlines flight to Punta Cana on February 11, 2017 was overbooked and they denied boarding to my 81 years old mother-in-law. My wife and I could not leave elderly person behind, so we had to leave flight as well. We were booked for the same flight next day. So, we are not at fault and had lost nonrefundable payment for a day stay in resort, extra transportation and food expenses. Total confirmed loss is $1,033.60. Trip Mate Insurance refused cover my loss because it arose due to flight overbooking. However there is no such exclusion in the insurance policy.

My husband, Michael, had failing health due to Parkinson's Disease and latterly cancer. His cancer had been under control (though horrendous side effects) for 2 years. After one of his regular scans the cancer was found to have slowly started growing again. Michael did not want further treatment/more side effects. On hearing this we booked a flight to California for a final trip to his childhood home and to meet his sister who had found through Facebook. They had completely lost touch and not seen nor heard from each other each other for 60 years. The trip was booked for myself, Michael and our daughter, Susannah. Susannah's trip was shorter than ours, due to work, and was booked through a different online company, CheapOair.

The insurance company CheapOair provided was TRIP MATE. Our flight was booked through Virgin America and we paid for insurance provided through Virgin, AIG travel insurance. To make a long story short, AIG insurance paid quickly for the airfare when my husband lost confidence and could not make the trip due to his failing condition. Trip Mate has only just today informed me they will not pay the refund. The main reason being that Michael's failing health did not qualify for their interpretation of the word "sickness". The other reason is that my husband did not die during the intended travel time. He passed away in February, 2 months after the intended travel.

I had to cancel my trip to Dubai because I ruptured my Achilles tendon in a fall. I filled out the required forms, including the physicians statement, on January 30, 2017. I was informed that it would take three weeks to get my money back. I have called numerous times inquiring about my refund and I am consistently told that they are slightly behind. It has now been 10 weeks and I still do not have my money. I have had an opportunity to schedule two more trips and Trip Mate was recommended; however, I declined and will find another insurance company to do business with. I have informed my friends to do the same as well. The one star rating I gave them is being very generous. Thank you.

I wish I could give them no stars. Worst service I have ever received from a travel insurance company. They have not answered any emails and when I call I stay on hold for hours. They should have covered over $500 in costs and they sent a check for $40 and $12 after I told them not to sent the checks because I wanted to file a new claim. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!

Worried about my camera gear I purchased insurance through Trip Mate... My car was broken into in Puerto Rico and lost a lot of gear... After a year and a half of lost reports and not to mention the 35 hoops I had to jump through, it was denied based off some random sub-paragraph that you can't read. Basically I spent all that time to try and recover nothing. The reason they denied the claim in the end? ARTICLES CANNOT BE LEFT UNATTENDED!!! Are you serious?!? Wow let me set up an insurance company asap. What BS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Because it's required to rate with a star, I had to click 1... but in all honesty, this company does not deserve even a star after my experience. I bought this insurance when I booked my ticket with Cheapoair online. I was flying from SFO to LA to Chengdu. Because of the weather condition in SFO, the initial trip was delayed for more than 2 hours; causing me to miss my connecting flight to Chengdu. The plane companies involved were washing their hands saying that it's not their responsibility that I missed the flight and to put me in another flight. In short, I have to buy new tickets (LA-Chengdu; Chengdu-SFO), among others.

When I came back, I filed a claim... only to encounter more problems: (a) it takes forever for a representative to answer the call; (b) their 15-day policy was not followed--I filed the claim last January; now it's already March; (c) after a long wait, I was told that they will refund the hotel (for a night stay in LA), but not the tickets I bought because of the delayed SFO flight and the missed LA-Chengdu flight. Honestly, it feels like I haven't been insured at all. Learning for the day: Trip Mate Insurance is NOT an Mate for any Trip. It doesn't insure you at all. Money wasted.

As an experienced traveler, I arrived in Lima Peru to begin an adventure and 6 hours into my trip, my purse was stolen at La Panka Restaurant during our group lunch with our Overseas Adventure Travel Guide and group of 12. Upon returning home, I submitted all insurance forms required and carefully listed additional expenses. My trip was interrupted for two days and I missed several activities with the group. Lots of red tape ensued. Had to apply for a new passport, etc. I mailed claim to Travel Mate via certified mail on Jan. 20, 2017. After calling every other day from Jan. 9 as I was to told claim evaluation took fifteen business days. After 30 days, I received a letter from Trip Mate stating that I would receive a lesser check for my passport and they needed a receipt for my purse, which I listed under items stolen.

It is a nickel and dime company that obviously has one goal and that is to wear down the claimant and pay as little as possible. It is clear that OAT and Trip Mate seem to work in tandem as I have called OAT and they tell me there is nothing they can do. This is not acceptable. Nothing was mentioned about trip interruption reimbursement which is listed in the fine print of the insurance documentation.

I called to fill out travel claim form which their rep emailed me after completing to identifying info I gave her. The claim form said it had to be mailed & gave the address. I sent it certified on 1/25/17. On 2/9, I checked their website & there was no record of its receipt. The Post Office tracking said they had attempted delivery on 1/28 (a Sat), closed & it was delivered on 1/30. I called & spoke to a rep who searched & could find no record of it. She then gave me an email address. I said that's what I wanted to do to begin with. She asked if I had gotten the form by myself or via their phone rep. I said their rep & she said the rep should have given me the email address to file the claim. (IT should be on their forms.) I said I would scan it & email it & requested priority handling.

I sent all copies of the original claim & copies of the certified receipt & tracking record with it. I waited a few days & checked the status & now both the 1/30 claim & the 2/9 submission were showing as received without any activity done. On 2/21 I called & spoke to a rep who told me they had them & their standard for finalizing claim was 15 working days. I said this was the 15th day from the 1/30 original receipt date. She said they were running behind. I said I want it processed that day and asked for a supervisor who was unavailable but called me the next day (2/22) & told me she had good news that they were sending me $2776.00.

The claim history shows final payment entered 2/23, final payment printed 3/1. I received the check today 3/6 and it was postmarked 3/3. This is atrocious claim service. I will never insure with Trip Mate again and complained to Overseas Adventure Travel to stop using them. I hope they find another carrier. My airline claim was promptly handled by Allianz and the funds received weeks ago. It was filed the same day via email and handled timely.

Purchased the insurance in February with our vacation package for a trip in July. We were out of the country and unfortunately my husband fell ill. Upon returning I submitted a claim form along with all necessary documents. After two months of the runaround I was told that I needed to submit my claim to my MEDICAL insurance company and submit the EOB back to Trip Mate. I have submitted the EOB and I am still waiting to hear back from Trip Mate. Do NOT waste your money on this insurance. They will not pay you!!

My son is in the military... all I want to do is visit him for his 19 birthday. The military changes his days off on a constantly. I paid for travel ins. so that when his days I can visit him changes I can make the changes accordingly for the flight. I am told this travel insurance is going to charge me $200 per ticket to equal $400 penalty for changing my ticket? What the hell kind of insurance is this. I can't believe I was stupid enough to pay for this and to use the low-class travel site. At this rate I will not even be able to afford to visit my son and will just sit home and pay for the damn tickets without the visit. This company and CheapOair has pissed off the wrong person. Plus I have numerous charges on my credit card that no one can explain!!!

I bought travel insurance to travel to South America. I purchased my airline tickets with Cheapoair. It was the first time of buying Insurance, and have No idea what of the kind of nightmare I was getting into it. Unfortunate I got so sick before my trip, went to the doctor few times and was on no shape to travel. I contacted Cheapoair and I was advised to contact Trip Mate.

After a million questions I was told to send doctor's documents and information. When Trip Mate got all the documents I was calling customer service for over two months, on one of those conversations I was told by an agent to cancel my airline tickets because trip mate was working in my case and very soon I was getting $730.00 for my trip. After four months of phone calls and frustration, Trip Mate denied my claim. Trip Mate is nothing but A Fraud. And get out of business and stop stealing money from innocent people who placed the trust in your company to protect us. Shame, Shame on all you!!

We bought travel insurance for our trip to Patagonia (December 15 - January 16). It cost $1272. In Buenos Aries we were not allowed to board the LAN Airlines flight because they overbooked the flight even though we were over an hour early. LAN got us on a flight the next morning but we missed our tour departure and it cost $220 to hire a cab to join our group. Trip Mate denied the claim. They said there was no trip delay because the flight left on time. We didn't realize that OUR trip was not being insured, it was everyone else's trip. As long as everyone else left in time there was no delay. I understand an attorney figured that out. Hmm. We filed an appeal in November 2016 and it's February 2017 and no word. I will file with the state insurance commission and a small claim if they don't pay. This is ridiculous. Don't buy this insurance.

For an extended 4 week trip to Europe Trip Mate was/is the processor of claims for GLOBAL ALERT PREFERRED TRAVEL INSURANCE. Our trip ended September 28th and I sent in a two-part claim. The baggage claim for $125.00 was denied after many attempted follow-up contacts over two months. I do not dispute this determination. The medical claim ($225.00) with a visit to a foreign doctor and other medical necessities has as of this review date (Feb. 2, 2017) not yet had a response even after multiple attempts to contact TRIP MATE. I will never use "Global Alert" - "Trip Mate" for travel insurance. We all have more reputable companies available.

I purchased a ticket through CheapOAir (won't do this again. Their customer service is good but the hassle of using discount providers is not worth it). They upsold me on the travel insurance they provide (Trip Mate). I took the bait and got the upgraded policy. I then had the misfortune of getting sick and being advised not to travel. That's when I learned that they will only cover change fees (no fare difference) and only on a reimbursement basis. From their terrible ratings, I have no reason to believe I will ever see a penny from them. I blindly trusted CheapOAir and next time will do my research. I am trying to get reimbursed for the money I wasted on this worthless insurance.

After two and half months of follow-up with Trip Mate regarding my baggage delay claim, I received the claim amount of maximum $200. I am very happy with the final decision made by Trip Mate, yes they took a lot of time to come to a conclusion but result came in my favor. All I need to say that you just have to submit all documents properly as required for verification and do a regular follow-up with them. They are not fake but instead a genuine US-based insurance company. If you can't provide all documents for verification or any discrepancy found then don't expect a positive result. There will be high chance of your claim will get rejected.

So kudos to Trip Mate.

I purchased travel protection 01/12/16 and paid reservation in full 01/19/16. I had to cancel in Oct. due to having part of my colon removed. Hospital 8 days, in-house rehab 13 days and at home health care 2 weeks. I filled out numerous forms including doctors form and mailed all to Trip Mate and received a confirmation in Dec. that they were reviewing my file. I called them in Dec. and it was pending. I called today and it has taken most of the day with numerous hold times and then after contacting them losing connection. This is absolutely the worst travel protection claim I have ever had and would never use them again.

My sister was traveling with me and she fell and had a shattered shoulder. They cut her check on Dec. 8th and held for several weeks and when she did receive it, another check was attached to the envelope for someone else with no stamp. She put a stamp on it herself and mailed it on to the proper person. I cannot understand why my claim is pending and she has been paid. I should have been paid on hers alone, but I did have very, very good reason for canceling. I can only hope I can get an answer soon as my medical bills are starting to come in. I am very, very, very dissatisfied with my experience with Trip Mate.

I spent hundreds upon hundreds of dollars covering everything humanly possible and when I provided them with all the reports, receipts, and even email exchanges from the US Consulate in Chennai explaining our trip interruption, damaged goods, hospital visits, etc. they took almost six months to get back to me then denied paying me a single cent for anything. I lost over five thousand dollars on that trip and they made the process so much worse than if I had never bought insurance. I had to jump through so many hoops just to have them tell me I qualified for absolutely nothing. They prey on folks and give you a false sense of security. Extremely dishonest company, please avoid. You're better off with no insurance than wasting your money and time with this company.

We purchased trip insurance for our trip to Jamaica. We left early because hurricane Matthew a category 4 was hit Jamaica the next day. Our insurance policy stated that we had hurricane coverage (trip interruption). We completed our paperwork the day after we got home. They couldn't even get our birthday right on the form. And it's very difficult to contact them by phone because no one answers all the time and you have to leave a message and wait over a day for a return phone call. We should be able to review the status of our claim online but that is a joke too. It took them over 2 months to deny our claim because our resort wasn't destroyed by the hurricane.

This insurance company is a scam. They take your money but don't pay for anything that is suppose to be covered by your policy. My advice is to save your money. They don't pay for anything anyway. I will never buy trip insurance from this company again. I will do my research next time and buy trip insurance from a reputable company.

As a claims adjuster, I thought I had done my due diligence by checking recommendations on the insuremytrip website. Very good reviews. But meaningless, because most of the reviewers had never actually had to make a claim. I should have checked out this and other consumer website to get the true story. Like many others, I am waiting six weeks now and still no resolution. Their online claim status site is a joke. One line says our claim is denied and another says payment is forthcoming. Can't get a straight story on which one it is. Can never find out who is the actual claims handler, because I can't get connected to anyone past the telephone operator. Since I handle claims for a living, I know how to read a policy and confirm my coverage and I know how to provide complete documentation. That is irrelevant to these people; they simply are not in the business to pay claims.

Purchased TripMate thru CheapOAir and filed claim after baggage was lost and delayed. Contacted TripMate by phone 6 times after checking their website and not seeing any info regarding my claim after giving required info. After two months of calls and checking site I'm informed that my claim was denied. And this is after their agent told me I couldn't make a claim to the airlines as that would invalidate my TripMate claim. All documentation was emailed to TripMate as requested but still my claim was denied. I contacted my credit card company and I disputed their charge and was awarded the dispute. At least I got my money back. :) Thank you Citibank!

I agree. This company is the worst. The agreement was that I could cancel my trip and get reimbursed for up to 75% of what I paid, no questions asked. Yet, they denied my claim. What a scam. Don't use this company. I know I will never use them again.

A total rip-off. I will never purchase any tickets or use Trip Mate again. Had to cancel trip due to death of my fiance's mother but she didn't count as my family member. The worst company out there. Death is death. The Obituary and a written statement was provided. Did not meet the family definition!

I always buy Trip Insurance but have never had to use it until this past summer. Booked a trip to Greece and fell and was unable to travel. The claim was submitted mid August 2016 it is now 10/1816. I have had nothing but runarounds, no one can answer my questions asked for more documentation etc. BOTTOM LINE... They don't want to pay. I called and was told a check was "cut" 10/10/16 but unable to tell me when it would be mailed... "NOT IN THIS BATCH" to be mailed yet. It's up to accounting. Asked who could I talk to in accounting. Told that's not possible. They want your money but don't want to pay. Bottom line this is a claim filed three months ago, can't tell me when it will be mailed maybe by November but not a definite answer. What I need to do next? Go to the Media to get an answer? Do NOT USE THIS COMPANY... Very poor customer service.

Never ever buy insurance from AON! I had to reschedule my flight due to a strike call of the Canadian Post in August, which made it impossible to get my visa in time from the US Embassy. I paid for the insurance exactly for this reason, because I knew something can come up and I wanted to be covered. Now they rejected my claim because it's not a medical emergency or jury duty. Why don't they cover all reasonable cause that's not my fault? This is disgusting, a worst practice when it comes to insurance agencies. I'll never ever buy anything that has something to do with AON.

I have to agree with everyone else that this is one of the "WORST COMPANY" out there. Their primary goal is to fight you hard in order not to pay your legit claim. If you purchase trip protection coverage with this company, you are simply not only fooling yourself but also wasting your money in process. Too bad we all had to find out how bad these guys are when we have a claim.

This is absolutely the worst company in the world to deal with. Getting them to pay a legitimate claim on a trip insurance policy is pure torture. They service other companies for handling claims; the trick is to know whether your insurance company uses Trip Mate.

My daughter and I flew to Russia via Turkey, bought the Trip Mate. On the way back Turkish company did not let out us from Russia to Turkey, because there was a terrorist attack in Turkey. We were detained for 4 days, and then they sent us on another flight which was 7 hours longer, and which we paid for Luggage $300. In the Trip Mate after I claim some form they told us that nothing terrible happened and we are not going to receive any compensation.

A total rip off. Purchased this travel insurance through Sandals. "CANCEL AT ANY TIME". We had to cancel our trip and not only lost the $218 for the insurance, we have also lost $400.00. Seems as though the only way you get a full refund is if you or your travel companion die or are hospitalized and you get a doctor's note. We cancelled our trip 5 months before going away. Have jumped through all Trip Mate's hoops, sent all forms and have called numerous times, but still no refund coming our way. This has put a bad taste in our mouth as far as Sandals goes also. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS INSURANCE!!!

I bought a plane ticket for my Mother. She was flying from Pensacola Alabama to Los Angeles California on 5-23-2016. My Mother was unable to come due to her feet started swelling. I purchased this ticket for my Mother on 4-19-2016. My Mother was seen by her physician regarding her feet swelling after 5-23-2016 which is more than a month after I purchased the ticket. I contacted Trip Mate and advised I cancelled the trip and I was requesting a refund. Trip Mate sent me the necessary paperwork to complete and for my Mothers physician to complete. The paperwork was completed by Trip Mate denied the claim stating my Mother was seen by her physician prior to her flight.

My Mother is 69 years of age and she has other medical conditions but her feet were not swelling prior to 4-19-2016 which is the date I purchased the ticket. I bought this ticket online through CheapOAir. I have purchased several tickets with insurance through CheapOAir in the past. I will never purchase any tickets or use Trip Mate as a travel insurance again. I will tell everyone I know regarding the bad customer service I received from Trip Mate as well as CheapOAir. I will be using South West from now on. Customer Service and Satisfaction goes a long way with me!!!

I filed a claim that they received 7/28/16. It is 8/22/16 and I have no decision. I tried calling a few minutes ago and never got through. I checked my claim status online and that's useless. For the amount we pay we should expect better service. I will NEVER buy their insurance again.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.
  • 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.
  • Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.
  • 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.
  • Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.
  • Best for Party animals, adventurers and family trippers.

Compare Travel Insurance