1.18/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Looking for travel insurance?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Trip Mate Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 14, 2017

194 Trip Mate Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I submitted a claim with Trip Mate on August 30th this year, and they have yet to process it. This is unacceptable, and there is no way to contact them! They never answer the phone, and call back only to say that they do not have any update of information for me because the claim has not been processed. What kind of company is this? They are either severely understaffed or underfunded or both. Wonder if I will ever hear back from them.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I paid a significant amount of money to cover myself and my family (4 people) on an Asia trip.The heretofore reputable broker on the trip suddenly defaulted very near to the departure date and had not paid any of the prepaid ground in Asia excursion costs. Hence my $32k prepaid was at risk. The Trip Mate policy was supposed to cover Tour Operator default and Agent Commission so long as all conditions were met. I rebooked the trip through my travel agent directly w/ the Japan Ground Operator and paid a second time assuming that Trip Mate would refund the original deposits and Agent commission. In the end, my credit card company actually refunded the entire original deposit. However, not being certain if a refund would or would not occur from any party, I made the claim with my Travel Agent's advice with both parties.

Trip Mate claims management was impossible, yes impossible to deal with. Long delays, never returning a call per commitment, long hold times and then disconnect, providing incorrect status information and in the end providing no commission coverage to my travel agent even though Trip Mate confirmed with me that I wanted that coverage provided to my agent and they would pay it. I travel considerably Internationally and have always used this coverage and will not ever use them again and I strongly suggest; buyer beware here. I felt like they were doing everything possible and egregiously so, to find a way not to finalize this claim. My Travel Planner has since discontinued selling this insurance to any of her clients.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I submitted a LOT of required documentation for a claim that I submitted on 7/24/17. I was told to expect resolution in 30 days. On 9/1 I called them and spoke to Tina who told me that I would get an update from her on 9/7. That call never came. I called again on 9/15 and spoke to Jane who said I would get an update within a week. Again, no follow up. I called again on 10/3 and talked to Jeff who says I should hear something “very soon”. He is unable to put me in touch with a supervisor. As of this date, there has been no resolution to my claim and I expect there won’t be based on previous failure to follow through. DO NOT BUY ANY TRAVEL INSURANCE FROM THIS COMPANY!!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

To begin with we purchased trip insurance through our travel agent not knowing anything about Trip Mate. We were traveling to Ireland and thought it would be a good idea to protect ourselves since the trip was very costly, and our first trip overseas. A couple of months before our scheduled departure my Father in law became unable to take care of himself and it fell to my wife and I to take care of him. I talked with our travel agent who suggested we file a claim with our trip insurance aka Trip Mate. I pulled up Trip Mate on the internet and was horrified by all the negative reviews. We really had no other options so went ahead and filled out the lengthy claim form.

I will say the physician's page is the most important aspect of the claim form. You must have a signed statement from a physician on the claim form as to why you are unable to take the trip. We included a signed letter as well. We sent in the claim form and immediately received an email verifying that they had received the documents and to follow the progress of the claim online. I will say it takes about a month of paperwork before it made it to the claims department. The claims department worked on our claim for about 3 weeks and did in fact approve the claim. They sent an e-check to Deluxe checks who emailed to us shortly after.

You will not receive any emails during claims process, but can follow progress online. I did make a few calls during the process and recommend to opt for call back as wait times are lengthy. I was always called back. Their reps basically had same info that is online. Overall I will say the process although lengthy (about two months from start to finish) was a positive experience. Please do not be discouraged by the negative reviews. We filed a legitimate claim and were taken care of. Thanks to Trip Mate our trip was protected.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I submitted my Claim in March 2017. It's now September 18, 2017. Have Not seen my Reimbursement or any update on their website!!! My mom was murdered while on vacation in Mexico!!! Submitted everything and still that was not good enough. Denied my claim, I appealed. Still nothing. I give up... I want to also join the Lawsuit. Never have I felt Robbed and Scammed until Now. Tripmate is the worst, Heartless, undependable, Scammed, Liars, Mislead, Thieves, etc. Shame on you. Keep my $548. Hopefully it buys your Claims Examiners A???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

My wife and I purchased Trip Mate Insurance from Collette Tours when we decided to take a trip on April 3, 2017 To Ireland. While on the trip, I became sick and had to see a doctor and also get some prescriptions filled that the doctor recommended. Total bill for both were $100. I filed the claim to get my money on 04/17/2017. I sent all the required documentation and did not hear from them. I called twice and the last time I was told this plan was an Excess Plan. It only pays the amount your other insurance plan does not cover. They don't tell you it's a third-party insurance company with shady rules until after you make the purchase. They wanted an Explanation of Benefits indicating the amount paid or denied for the submitted expenses from my insurance company.

I told them my insurance was Medicare and Bankers Fidelity and they did not pay for overseas expenses, that's the reason I purchased their insurance. They insisted that I send them an Explanation of Benefits from my secondary policy. I made a copy of them from my insurance policy and forwarded it to them on 6/13/17. After a couple of weeks I called them again and they stated that they needed a copy of the Explanation of Benefits from the Insurance Company stating the amount paid or denied. I contacted my insurance company and explained to them what Trip Mate required and they stated they would forward the information requested. 08/02/17.

After another several weeks I received a letter indicating that they needed the Explanation of Benefits within the next 21 days of the claim would be closed. I forwarded a copy of the information my insurance company sent me and have not heard from them. 08/23/17. I submitted the claim in April 2017 and here it is in September 2017, five months later and still have not settled the claim. It takes an excruciating process to get a customer service person on the phone and receive any updates. They do not return calls or answer their phones and if you're lucky enough to get someone to answer the phone they do not tell you the truth and constantly change their stories. The website is useless. They have a very poor or worst customer service.

I see this situation as this company has no accountability or responsibility to consumers except to reach inside their wallets and take their hard earned money. Being hypocritical and racing to the nearest bank is what your company is all about and not focusing on the value your customers truly have on increasing your bottom line and profit margins if done honestly. This company is truly a crooked and is running a scam on travel insurance. Friendly advice. Don't purchase any protection plan from TRIP MATE!! They will just give you a headache. Collette Tours should partner with someone else because these people suck!!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I reserved a all inclusive vacation package through Apple Vacations and purchased travel insurance through Trip Mate. Due to airline cancellations my trip was delayed for a day and a half resulting in me having to fly economy versus the First Class seat purchased and missing the first night at the all inclusive resort in Jamaica. Upon my return I immediately contacted Airline who promptly issued a refund on August 10th of the difference in fare paid for the first class seat. Unfortunately the refund check was sent to Apple Vacation who held it for over a month before returning funds sent to them on my behalf. I should note that Apple Vacation's "travel agency" did absolutely nothing to assist in rebooking flights when the airline canceled or in requesting this refund. When I contacted them about my refund they lied and said it takes a month to get mail from the airline!

In regards to Trip Mate, I submitted a complete claim as indicated in their own records on August 7th. I was told that it would take 2 to 3 weeks to process the refund for the missed night at the resort. When I called this morning to once again check on the status of my refund the representative told me that my completed claim had not been received until August 28th which was not true. The only thing that occurred on August 28th was my phone call to the company to let them know that they had an incorrect telephone number. I advised the representative of this and also advised him that another representative had also confirmed the August 7th receipt of my completed claim.

When I asked to speak to a Supervisor I was told that there wasn't anyone available and that my only option was to call back (I was on hold for almost a hour for this call). I wish I had read the reviews on both Apple Vacations and Trip Mate before utilizing their companies for my trip. I will never again use either one and hope that other buyers will beware.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I purchase this Trip Mate Insurance the same day I purchased our trip. We were told that we could cancel at any time and get a voucher back but for cash back we would have to have a medical reason. I have not received my letter but I did call the company today, again, because I saw the claim was denied and the case is closed! I do have a medical reason and the doctor's certificate was sent along with the other required information. I need a total knee replacement on my left knee and an unable to walk long distances.

This trip, as well as many other trips requires a lot of walking. My doctor signed a disability slip from July 20th 2017 when I saw him through October 20th 2017. My trip should have started today, Sept. 15, 2017. I submitted the claim early July and have called a few times and checked online today and they said it was denied online. I did call the company and she said I have to wait for the letter. She also said it was about the medical disability and the time frame.

We were told by AAA we had to purchase it at the time we booked the Globus tour which we did. Obviously, I cannot take this trip and I don't understand why it was not approved. I did ask who the Archer was and actually they didn't want to give me any information but I did get her name and I wanted to know the qualifications for her to make such a decision. However that information was not available. We have traveled with Globus before and have always enjoyed our trips. Apparently now I have to do with written appeal. HELP!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

We canceled our flight within 24 hours due to illness. We have submitted our Medical and doctor's report. There has been no communication except an acceptance of our documents online. This a very simple, straightforward claim and I have a feeling that this company is a sham and does not pay their claims. I will wait ten days and start the claim through the Insurance Commissioner.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

We were all set to go on a Gateway to Eastern Europe tour when a serious health problem occurred to my husband. Viking was not contractually obligated to refund us any moneys, but we had purchased trip insurance. Trip Mate (or Tripmate - the company has not decided) was the only insurance we were offered. It's been almost two months since we initiated our claim with them and we still have not been reimbursed. Every day they have new, ridiculous excuses for us not receiving e-checks they supposedly issued - "Have you looked in your Spam box" was a favorite with all their reps.

Then they asked me to call the e-check issuer - which I refused. My contract is with Viking and Tripmate, not with some money-changers. Please, Viking, help me recoup my substantial moneys. Also, after the treatment from Trip Mate (or Tripmate) I should get a discount from the $1,230 paid to them. And, Viking clients, you can go and get your own trip insurance (which I had not been aware of). Trip Mate has a very bad track record - check it yourselves.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Bought TripMate insurance for Mt Blanc hike through Country Walkers and am terribly frustrated with the experience. Had to cancel the trip at last minute due to medical emergency, submitted all the detailed paperwork including Dr letter on Aug 2 and as of Sep 11 have received absolutely no communication or response from them. They give you a website to track progress which claims they have send acknowledgments, but we have gotten nothing.

Calls to their call centers go to service reps reading from a script who cant do anything (though she did confirm they had my email address correct). They are now hiding behind the hurricane volume excuse -- but my claim went in weeks before the storms. I have called the call center twice and gotten nowhere other than long periods of time on hold. Was told on Aug 22 they would call me back the next week and heard nothing. Called again today (Sept 11) and was told a variety of clearly scripted lines: "Only a supervisor can resend the email", "A member of management will call you in 24-48 hours" (I pointed out that didn't happen after Aug 22 call...), etc. My only hope now is getting the travel company to help intervene.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

The following is what occurred when we attempted to leave for our river cruise on June 14, 2017: Our Itinerary had us booked on United Flight 326 (departing at 2:10 PM) from Orlando airport to Washington-Dulles airport connecting with United Flight 989 (departing at 5:20 PM) from Washington-Dulles to Frankfurt, arriving in Frankfurt on June 15, 2017 at 7:20 AM. From Frankfurt, we were booked on Lufthansa Flight 1336 to Budapest - our final destination.

All flights at Orlando airport were grounded due to lightning strikes and severe storms on the East Coast. Our United Flight 326 from Orlando to Washington-Dulles originally scheduled to leave at 2:10 PM was delayed until 8:15 PM causing us to miss our connecting flight at Washington-Dulles. We were then not able to travel from Washington-Dulles to Frankfurt due to the missed connection at Washington-Dulles airport.

The airline was not helpful, telling us that the delay affected the entire East Coast and we had a good chance of making our connecting flight. This was not the case. There was no delay at Washington-Dulles. Our connecting flight to Frankfurt (United Flight 989) left Washington-Dulles on time. We missed it due to the delay at Orlando.

The next available flight from Washington-Dulles to Frankfurt that we were able to book was United Flight 989 leaving June 15, 2017 at 5:20 PM arriving in Frankfurt on June 16, 2017 at 7:20 AM - a 24-hour delay and we were not guaranteed a flight from Frankfurt to Budapest. We were supposed to arrive in Budapest on June 15th to begin the trip.

I spoke to two agents at Trip Mate (one agent is Kathleen **) while we were delayed at Orlando and was told if there was a 24 hour delay we could cancel the trip. (Our trip was for 7 days.) We attempted to book an earlier flight to Frankfurt if any were available on the same day or early the next day out of Washington-Dulles. No flights were available. Because it was weather-related we would incur all hotel and transportation expenses related to the delay because airlines do not cover these expenses. Our pre-paid transportation arrangements in Budapest would not be available and would be our responsibility. We would miss more than one day of a 7-day trip.

After being assured by Trip Mate that cancelling WAS AN OPTION, we returned home. Because we arrived home late in the evening, I called Avalon the next day to let them know we cancelled the trip. I opened a claim online with Trip Mate and submitted all documentation in hard copy, including e-Tickets, Itinerary, proof of payment to Avalon, and a detailed explanation of the circumstances. On August 1, 2017, I received a call from Trip Mate stating that Flight 326 was not cancelled and Trip Mate would need to do more investigation.

Recently, I received a letter and two checks – each for $1000 (for Diane ** and Gerald **). The letter states that, "As there was no cessation of services for 12 hours we cannot review under trip cancellation or trip interruption. Maximum benefit has been met." The Comments on the reverse side of the letter were as follows: "1. Expenses incurred for your return arrangements were prepaid through the assistance company. 2. The policy does not provide for reimbursement of the original unused airline tickets." This is double-speak because we did not arrange our own transportation. We booked everything through Avalon. We are extremely unhappy and disappointed. The reason for purchasing trip insurance is for situations such as this. We spent the entire day at the airport and were looking forward to the vacation. We will continue to pursue this. I sincerely hope that Globus can make this right and stand by one of their customers.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

We bought trip insurance through Viking Cruises at Tripmate which handles traveler insurance for Viking Cruises. We had to cancel the trip for medical reasons (cancer) and I have been trying to get the Tripmate portion of the refund since July 18, 2017. Viking paid the refundable portion recently, so they are off the hook. But Tripmate is either stalling, incompetent, or both. I filled out the claim form on their website in July. All seemed fine. When I called a few weeks later to find out the status, I was told that the website is (and apparently WAS not working). (It seemed okay when I entered the info earlier).

Okay, so they told me they would mail me the claim forms. Fine, as of 8/31/17, I am still waiting. So I called them... line was busy. But I could "leave a message and they will call me ASAP". Okay, Fine, "The the message is..." they will call when they open the next business day. No, I don't want a wake up call from Missouri. So now I phone Viking. They expedited assistance by getting a Tripmate person to phone me and promise they would send me the claim forms. But it will take from 7-9 days to get here. From 8/31/2017. Okay, whatever. Bottom line, so far it has been a problematic and frustrating experience. And they still will be analyzing my claim. We are not even to that point yet! So it will take months. Good thing it is not a huge amount of money, but it is a few thousand that I paid Viking and would really like to have back.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

While on a flight to Greece my husband's cosmetic bag was stolen or lost out of his backpack. Included in the bag was an electric razor, hearing aids, and some small personal items. When we arrived in Athens, we noticed it was missing. We immediately told our tour director who filed an incident report with her company and filed a lost item report with Delta Airlines. Upon returning home, we filed a claim with Trip Mate online on July 7, 2017. We filled out their forms and emailed them on that date. They said they did not receive the email, so I sent it again on July 11, 2017 and also mailed them a paper copy on that same date.

After repeatedly checking travel claims online, I called on 8/14/2017 and was told "they are working on it" and no further information was needed. On 8/21/2017 I called again and was told they have not received any info from the claims dept. yet and they will call me in 1 or 2 days. On 8/28/2017 they called to say they needed more information and that hearing aids were not covered. After paying $1,578.00 for travel insurance, I felt we were covered. Trip Mate is a SCAM and cannot be trusted to pay their claims.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

My wife and I purchased a travel insurance policy through Grand Circle Travel for our trip to Australia and New Zealand. Unfortunately for me, I had a kidney stone the entire time I was in New Zealand and had to go to the emergency room three times because the medicine they prescribed was not strong enough for the pain and their limited availability of medical services in cities that have 20,000 population.

Of course you had to pay upfront before you could be seen and when I filed a claim to receive those funds through the insurance I was told I had to file through Medicare (which does not cover medical expenses outside of the USA) and my health insurance company. I paid good money for this insurance and they are now passing the buck on to other companies??? Now, I filed for the days that I did not take tours and are getting the "delay" tactics from them. I clearly provided all documentation and it should be a simple process to verify via GCT and send me the check.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I had purchased Trip Mate travel protection plan along with the return flight ticket in Qatar airlines from CheapOair website. My father was admitted in hospital after a massive heart attack. I took the flight on October 20, 2016 and reached my home. My father died in hospital after 8 days. I had to cancel my return journey which was booked on Nov 22, 2016. I called up Qatar airlines to cancel and refund the return ticket, they denied telling that ticket was booked from broker/3rd party. CheapOair denied the cancellation as one way journey was completed. I lost the money for that return ticket.

After completing my father's last rites I purchased new flight ticket and returned to my workplace on December 21, 2016. I raised claim with Trip Mate to refund my return flight ticket fare. I submitted all the documentation including my father's death certificate, hospitalization and doctor's prescriptions according to the list asked during claim submission. After waiting for three months with repeatedly calling and inquiring about the claim status, they finally declared the claim can't be fulfilled as my actual return travel date was beyond their estimated time limit with 10 days grace period. I felt disheartened and doubtful about the travel insurance business Trip Mate is doing. This time limit part of claim was never visible in their terms and conditions. Isn't it just another way to avoid payout to customers?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

Anyone wanting to file a lawsuit please feel free to contact me **. A group of myself and family members (9 total) planned a trip to Mexico in May 2017. We all got the insurance from Trip Mate. Bought and paid for in November 2016. I had never bought travel insurance before. Our travel agent told us that we get a full refund for any reason what so ever if we are unable to travel (death, sickness, work. etc etc etc). It was the day of our vacation at the airport waiting for our flight. We had some time to grab something to eat. Everyone wanted to eat different things. My husband and middle daughter ate the same thing from the same place, eggs sausage and potatoes. Shortly after eating my daughter become ill. At which time I thought it was because she had had too much to drink the day before. She said she was fine.

Upon boarding the flight and in our seats my husband became ill too. He went to the bathroom. After being in the bathroom for 20 minutes the flight attendant asked me to check on my husband. I went back and checked on him he asked if they could give him a few minutes to see if he feeling better. At this point, he was just dry heaving. The attendant spoke to the captain and said that we need to have medical come check him out b/c he did not want to divert to another airport during the flight. It could take hours for medical to come check him out we were told. At this point, we were 30 minutes late for take off. Upon hearing this from the flight attendant and asking for a few more minutes to see if he was feeling better, the captain called and spoke to another attendant told her that my husband was unable to fly on this flight. So we were asked to leave (kicked off). So we left the flight.

Upon waiting for the Apple rep at the gate my husband was feeling much much better (10 minutes later. We asked to get back on the flight and the captain said no. At this point we thought it was food poisoning, And in fact, it was. We called Apple to see what we needed to do next. We were told the next flight was not till 2 days later non-stop/Frontier. Our vacation was only 6 days total with the 6 day leaving the resort at 7 am. Counting as a day. So we booked another flight for later that day with another company. My husband had not had any more problems with becoming ill (sign for food poisoning). We got to the resort late that night.

Came home and started the paper work to get our refund for the flight we were kicked off and new flight to get there. They denied our claim because he did not seek medical. We had talked to our family dr. about this problem. He said at best they would had done some labs and and i.v. But there was nothing really else that they could have done because he was not showing any more signs. Very unhappy. I am contacting an lawyer to see what can be done against this company.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

We had a trip planned for St. Lucia on June 5, 2017. On May 19, 2017 my husband had a stroke. We paid for our trip in full and travel insurance on October 25, 2016. Today is August 4, 2017. WE STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED OUR REFUND. They received ALL documentation necessary to complete the claim on June 25, 2017, including doctors' orders. My next step is to let Sandals know that Trip Mate is uncooperative at best and that they should not do business with them. I am so angry right now that I had to write this review. They don't deserve any stars - not even one. If you book a trip DO NOT USE TRIP MATE. Travel insurance is for unforeseen circumstances. This was paid in full in October of 2016 for a trip in June 2017. Now that my husband is disabled we could really use the money - which was a good amount for an all inclusive vacation at Sandals in St. Lucia. I can't believe the audacity of these people.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Last April my wife and I were on a trip to Africa when she slipped and fell injuring her hamstring. She had to be helicoptered to nearest city that had medical facilities. She had to be put up in a hotel room for two days. We had to charter a plane so she could rejoin the tour. When we returned home we filed a claim with our primary insurance company. They paid for what they were responsible for. We then submitted a claim with Trip Mate for the balance. In two months we received reimbursement for the plane charter, the hotel room with meals, two days trip interruption and the balance for medical bills our primary insurance didn't cover. Once we submitted our claim we never had to contact them regarding our claim. Would not hesitate to using Trip Mate again.

Original review: July 28, 2017

The last portion of my flight from JFK to Reagan DCA was cancelled by the American Airlines for no reason and they offered an alternative flight the following day that is more than 24 hours. I could not wait for the following day as I have appointment in the morning, so I drove from NY to Washington DC through Hertz Rent-A-Car. I filed the claim with the corresponding docs and it's been 2 months and no action from Trip Mate. The amount I claimed was much lesser than what I have spent as I did not keep some receipt from the restaurants but still Trip Mate failed to deliver their promises when they are advertising for their Insurance products. This is plain scam, don't buy it.

Original review: July 28, 2017

In March I had to cancel a Viking cruise for 2 clients due to a heart surgery (not preexisting) and they had Trip Mate Insurance. As of this day July 28, 2017 no refund from Trip Mate - over 25 phone calls to them and being told a different lie each time and assurance it would be settled in 5 days (been told that numerous times) still no refund for my clients. Never ever can you talk to a supervisor - I also called the main office in Kansas City and no call back there either. Worst company ever! Please do not sell Trip Mate insurance!

Original review: July 28, 2017

This company is not an insurance company, they are just a scam. I booked a ticket to see my dying mother-in-law as I wanted to see her before she passed. I purchased the insurance because I knew something could happen to her before I flew out there to see her. About 10 days before my flight date, she took a bad turn and the family had to move her to her son's house in another state for hospice. I could not believe the paperwork they expected me to have filled out to prove that she was ill and in hospice. First of all, she and her doctors should not have to fill out anything, she is dying!!! Her family should also not have to get the physician paperwork filled out because this is not their problem! And HIPAA will not likely allow any of this paperwork to go anywhere without her signature (the signature of a very ill, dying woman!) REALLY?! This company needs to be exposed for what it is - fraudulent!

Original review: July 25, 2017

Travel protection plan for Apple and Blue Sun vacations - I mailed my package to them weeks back, called and they tell me they haven't received. Several conversations with different persons, all repeat the same answer that isn't an answer. Website looks like a large corporation, but upon asking one person I spoke with they only have 15 to 20 people? Later conversation advised not so. Now they want me to register mail or priority mail my receipts which are all in Spanish and I am clueless to what TripMate's so called translator will truthfully address. At this point I am wondering if I was sold a bogus insurance policy.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Took Trip Mate Insurance on my flight from Sydney to London through CheapOair cost $79. The return leg of the flight was canceled by the airline. So I canceled that flight and booked an alternate flight a few days different to the first flight. Asked CheapOair to transfer my insurance to the new flight. The consultant was adamant I had to change it with Trip Mate. As I found out today Trip Mate do not cancel and alter insurance plans. Trip Mate can have the $79 for nothing, but I promise you this, I will NEVER deal with Trip Mate again. What a scam. I bought this policy in good faith. Totally disgusted.

Original review: July 22, 2017

This expensive insurance ($1,000) for two was paid at the time of booking to cover pre-existing conditions. While on a trans-Pacific cruise in April/May I developed a serious asthmatic bronchitis. As a retired medical doctor traveling with a cardiac pacemaker, insulin pump and CPAP machine, I treated myself successfully with medicines I always travel with but remained short of breath with any modest activity on shore excursions. Shortly after returning home, we decided to cancel the active trip with Overseas Adventure Travel booked for this September and covered by TripMate for fear that all the activity would be too much for me to handle after this experience. OAT returned everything paid except the cost of the insurance and a $600 cancellation fee. They told me to file a claim with TripMate for the $600. I filled out all the forms, answered all the questions and carefully explained my illness to them. That was on May 17.

Several emails later they asked for an attending physician's statement and I again explained that I was self-treated. On July 17, they finally decided that they would not refund the $600 without an APS signed by another physician licensed on the Pacific Ocean stating that my illnesses would interfere with the planned trip. I wrote to them that returning $600 would be way less than having to pay for treatment and a return home from Europe in September but they ignored this and even refused to address me as Doctor **.

The company brags about their cancel for any reason policy, but it is obviously not nearly that simple -- just what you might expect from insurance companies that are very quick to demand payment but very resistant to paying even small claims. They are supposedly sending us two travel vouchers for $300 each to be used within one year on another OAT trip, but these trips are all too active for me now. Their several correspondences and one phone call were distinctly both uncaring and unfriendly. They really don't seem to care at all.

Original review: July 18, 2017
    I have been trying to get a refund from Trip Mate for several months. My wife and I were forced to cancel a trip when her mother became very ill. Our destination refunded our money immediately, so Trip Mate was only liable for a few hundred dollars in air fare. Most recently, they wanted my mother-in-law's medical information. She is an uninvolved, uninformed third party in this claim. I contacted U.S. Health and Human Services who agreed with me stating a non-party to an insurance claim has 100% HIPPA protection under the law. A private attorney agreed. I gave Trip Mate until August 1, 2017 to settle the claim or I would sue them.

Perhaps several of us should initiate a group action lawsuit.

Original review: July 17, 2017

My fiancee got sick in Punta Cana in May. We spent a day of our expensive vacation at the hospital. Trip Mate just completely gave me the run around after I entered a claim, asking for more and more information. Now they want her health insurance information. She doesn't have health insurance, and I have told them that over and over. It doesn't matter, they tell me they still need an explanation of benefits. SHE DOESN'T HAVE INSURANCE, how can she have an explanation of benefits? And even if she did have health insurance it wouldn't cover her traveling out of the country, no health insurance covers that! They know that! That's why we bought the travel insurance. Obviously they are not going to reimburse me. FRUSTRATING!

Original review: July 13, 2017

This is the most deceitful insurance company I have ever dealt with -- reaching them is difficult and when you do you are given a different answer from every person you speak with. I spent many hours documenting a claim because I was told that was what I needed to do by one person and just found out that not one penny will be covered. Time for a lawyer.

Original review: June 27, 2017

The company is non responsive, does not return calls and is either incompetent or interested in avoiding any payout at any cost. They cannot be reached by phone. They do not return calls after shutting you to leave name and number. Call backs are not received. Emessages are not responded to. I found a local number to get around call center number and though the receptionist wants to help the claim processing and the appeals units are the most robotic workers ever. Very bureaucratic. Getting anybody beyond line staff is impossible. Corporate hides their number - you end up at call center. I guess I have to call the news.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I purchased travel insurance for a trip from NY to FL in March. NY was hit with Winter Storm Stella, a State of Emergency was declared and everyone was asked to stay off the roads. Our flight was canceled; we rebooked for the next day and it was canceled again. Trip Mate denied our claim because in order to receive a refund we needed to be hijacked, quarantined, our home destroyed by fire, we had to be in a car accident on the way to the airport, the airline went on strike, we were called to active military duty or our city was hit by a terrorist attack!! Honestly, Winter Storm Stella and a State of Emergency wasn't good enough to get a refund. Stay away from this company!!!!

Trip Mate Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.
    • 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.
    • Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.
    • 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.
    • Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.
    • Best for: Party animals, adventurers and family trippers.
    Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky