2.3/5 (995 ratings)

About Trip Mate Insurance

Trip Mate Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

This company is a big scam, I bought the insurance through CheapOair and it was a ticket for almost 2400 dollars so I bought the insurance. Then I had back pain and went to my doctor few days before my flight so I had to cancel, and both of CheapOair and Trip Mate did not refund me anything. Beware these two scammers.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

We were required to pay insurance for our daughter's trip abroad and paid several hundreds of dollars. The trip was in June and we started filing info for the losses on the return from the trip. It is now mid September and they have yet to provide anything. Everytime they request something, you are required to turn it in immediately but it resets their "clock" and they give themselves another 30 days. With that tactic, they keep renewing their efforts to do nothing. Do not buy this insurance. I feel twice taken due to the loss during the trip and having paid for this insurance.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

DO NOT buy “insurance” from this Company! We purchased a $2000 policy on a $30K trip forced on us by Viking Cruises in January, 2022. My family had a medical emergency and doctors would not allow us to travel and provided all the documentation required. We submitted a claim with this fraudulent company with all the documents requested. They have only communicated that they “assigned a claims examiner”. We have called at least weekly for the last two months and have been told they’re “escalating it” and still have no response. They promise to call back with status and they never do. Trip Mate practices unethical behavior and provides empty promises. This is a fraudulent company and it’s also a significant reflection on Viking Cruises too. There are many travel insurance companies and this is not one. They are a bait and switch operation. DO NOT give this operation your money. You will not get it back until you hire an attorney!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

I purchased travel insurance at the time that I booked a Viking cruise for my husband and myself. Because I had confidence in Viking Cruise Line based on previous journeys, I assumed I could have confidence in travel insurance offered by them - that it would be reliable and high quality. So, without looking at reviews online for Trip Mate, the travel insurance endorsed and offered by Viking, I agreed to purchase the insurance through Viking at the time of booking. I paid $1,438 for the insurance. I have now learned through my experience that Trip Mate is anything but high quality and certainly isn't reliable. Viking should be ashamed to be dealing with and directing their guests to such a terrible company. And when looking online, it seems most everyone that has submitted a review has had a similarly frustrating and impossible time dealing with Trip Mate.

It's been nearly 3 months since I submitted my claim with required documentation and each time I contact Trip Mate customer service I get a run-around. Of course I can never speak to the same person I have spoken with previously so I must start all over explaining my claim. And, of course, there are layers of people between me and the claims processor who is actually reviewing my claim so I'm denied the opportunity to talk with the claims processor. Today the Trip Mate customer service rep said she would send an email to the claims people to expedite the processing of my claim. Apparently they have very antiquated computers at Trip Mate since she told me it would take about 2 weeks for Claims to receive the email. Incidentally, Viking Customer Support representatives are of no help whatsoever in resolving this issue. That only increases the frustration of dealing with their travel insurance partner.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

We bought Trip Mate travel insurance through our travel agent before going to Anguilla. The insurance cost nearly 500.00 for the two of us and the coverage was "cash back". Our airline delayed our first flight by 4.5 hours so we missed our connection. We had to sleep in Atlanta for 1 evening and find an urgent care to retest us for COVID. Anguilla still had a time sensitive testing requirement and the extra night in the US caused us to need a new test. The island was great.

Within 3 hours of returning home, I began the looong process of figuring out the Trip Mate insurance. The customer service is the WORST I have ever encountered, it is best described as nonexistent. I filled out the online forms, produced 15 hardcopies of all of our receipts, and mailed a package via certified mail WITH a tracking number. After 30 days and 6 phone calls the result is Trip Mate says, "they never received my certified package". USPS and I both have evidence that they did receive it, but absolutely refuse to say that they have it. So, I started the laborious task of filling out the paperwork again and sending it to them digitally this time. Still nothing. I call every other day, to no avail. In summary, I paid nearly 500 for the insurance, lost almost 800 in extra costs due to a delayed flight, and still to this moment have received NOTHING. If I were to add in my hours of work, level of irritation, cost of certified mail, and an ink cartridge for my printer, my total would be much higher.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

Do not waste your money on this insurance and make sure you read ALL the fine print that doesn’t pop up when this insurance is offered as “trip insurance”. If you want to cancel WITHIN A DAY OF BOOKING, what a joke, who is that indecisive they want to spend $250 to change their mind in a day? We planned on visiting friends and they lost their job and had to relocate. Not a problem, or so we thought because we purchased the trip insurance that was recommended on the CheapoAir site. Don’t fall for it, unless you have a doctor’s note or death certificate but apparently this is just insurance that is very misleading. Boo CheapoAir for even offering it and shame on you TripMate!

Original review: July 14, 2022

In November 2021 we were to connect to a cruise in Barcelona Spain on Viking Cruises. We connected and had one day on ship and my wife became sick and had to be hospitalized in Barcelona. Due to her illness Viking would not let her resume cruise since we would be at sea quite a few days. Viking did what they could to help us return to states. It is now July 2022 and have not seen any payment from TripMate even after sending many copies of expenses they required. I had illness and trip involved expenses. I had never used a travel insurance before and will never again. You can call and they tell you they will expedite your claims but nothing happens. I have told Viking that Trip Mate is a company that they should be embarrassed to recommend. Save your fee you pay this company and that will be less you will lose on a interrupted trip.

Original review: June 29, 2022

We booked a Trip with Sandals…Sandals recommend Trip Mate insurance….We had to cancel the trip due to the fact that I have Cancer…All the documents were sent to trip mate verifying my Cancer…The documents were sent on May 12….it is now the End of June. I have not received any payment….Sandals should be ashamed of them selfs for recommending Trip Mate….It’s bad enough I have Cancer….to make matters worse…I must have more aggravation….I don’t understand why a big Company like Sandals would use a insurance Company that is not reputable…I am very upset in this matter Sandals does not seem to care..even though they are the Company that recommends Tripmate….Shame on you Sandals..

Original review: June 22, 2022

Returning from 2022 spring break in Cancun with 15+ members of our family. Missed connection in Dallas because customs was overwhelmed with spring breakers and travelers trying to get to South By Southwest in Austin taking place at the same time. Next available flight home was three days later so we rented a van and drove. 12 hours and $2,000+ dollars later, we arrived back home. Filed a claim to recover the addition rental van costs (rental and fuel). After months of waiting, Trip Mate rejected the claim stating the cause didn’t qualify as a reimbursable claim when by their own definition in the contract, it did qualify. Exceptionally poor customer service and communications trying to work through the issue. Don’t waste your time with this product and the people. They are scammers!

Original review: May 25, 2022

Before the pandemic TripMates was super slow but would eventually pay many claims. Since the pandemic they are to be avoided. I've obtained and uploaded 30+ documents in filing my claim. The claim was received several weeks ago and I was told that I'd receive a claim number shortly (haven't received) and that a decision on my claim would be made within 10 days (nothing there either). The people you reach on the phone (after hours on hold) are pleasant and tell you positive things but they are not the claims people. The claims people will string you along for month after month wanting more and more documentation. Don't waste your time and energy with this company that will find a reason to deny every claim.

Trip Mate Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.

• 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.

• Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.

• 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.

• Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor