3.40/5

Looking for travel insurance?

Trip Mate Insurance

Looking for travel insurance?

432 Trip Mate Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 24, 2019

Well, having read the earlier reviews, was concerned. But...Tripmate has recently been acquired by a highly regarded major insurance company. Had to cancel a trip we had booked with Pleasant Holidays. We purchased cancel for any reason trip insurance. Wife got sick before the trip began, so we cancelled. Went onto Tripmate.com to begin the process of filing. They provide you with very specific information they need and all of the instructions for filing the claim. Was a piece of cake. Filled out the forms online, then printed them off. Also printed the doctor's form. Had doctor complete the form. Then scanned all of the forms, and the rest of the trip documentation Tripmate needed (all of the usual stuff everyone should have when they book a trip) and emailed the info to Tripmate.

Received notification of receipt by Tripmate 2 days later with a link to follow status of claim. 6 days later they had completed their review of my claim (no further information was needed) with "payment pending approval" posted in claim status. 5 days later "payment processing--Echeck pending" posted to claim status. 9 days later I received the echecks (full payment) via email. I printed them and then immediately scanned them in with my mobile bank deposit app, and the next day the checks had cleared and were officially in my bank account. Whole process (from filing the info to getting the echecks) took a total of 23 days. All I can say is... bravo to Tripmate....can't imagine any other trip insurance company handling a claim so expeditiously and with no additional requests for more information.

Original review: April 27, 2019

When I purchased my travel insurance it was through World Nomad. I didnt know that Tripmate is the processing company. After I looked at the review here I was afraid that they won't reimburse my cancellation trip. Before I filed my cancellation trip prior to departure I called World Nomad and they advised me to gather all documents and upload when ready to submit. Which I followed the instruction and had to go back to my physician as a different form is needed. I submitted everything at once on April 1. April 3rd I received my confirmation that the application has been received and they are processing it. April 18 I received from the company that they have approved my claim but it was partial which it was fine because it was off by 50 dollars. Today I received my 1800 dollar check. Can't complain. It takes time but everything was done within 30 days. I would certainly purchase through them again.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Purchased Trip Mate when booking a two week Viking ocean cruise. On October the 26th, on the 8th day of the cruise, my Father suffered a heart attack while on the island of Curacao. That was the first time I read the reviews online regarding Trip Mate and Was very concerned having read all the negative reviews and was ready to go to war with Viking Cruises and Trip Mate. I was asked to keep an open mind and was assured that the claim would be handled fairly and in a timely manner.

The first four days passed without any issues. All the claim forms were provided via email almost immediately and per the treating physicians advice, my father was flown back to the US in first class with a nurse that Trip Mate flew to the Island of Curacao to meet him and to accompany him the entire way. I have to add that They were also prepared to fly him via private air ambulance jet should he require that level of support prior to his condition improving on the third and fourth day. During that same time my mother incurred hotel and other trip delay costs as well. All the costs of the repatriation were paid for without any issue directly and upfront by Trip Mate. To my surprise, so far so good. I have to add that to this point all calls were answered quickly and I received polite, friendly and concerned service. I was still surprised having read all the negative reviews.

Once back in the US I reviewed carefully the claim form. I had to wait over 30 days for St. Elisabeth hospital in Curacao to provide all the final invoices and for Viking cruises to do so as well. Once I gathered all the invoices and receipts and submitted all the information to Trip Mate including the original receipts for the cruise, costs incurred by my mother for hotel stay and food and all the Medical bills and medical reports, I submitted everything online with PDF copies of all the documents. I received confirmation of the received documents via Email within 12 hours and was able to confirm this online as well via a claim portal. I also called to confirm that everything was received and again received courteous, accurate and prompt service.

After a few weeks I could see online that the trip interruption and travel delay claims were processed and that a three payments for the FULL claimed amounts were processed. Again, I have to say that I was shocked given the bad reviews. About a week later I received all three checks. As for the medical reimbursement, I was refunded 90% of the cost by my own health insurance. Trip Mate advised that once I receive an explanation of benefits from my primary insurance policy that they would then finalize the medical portion claim.

To date, I've had ZERO complaints or issues with Trip Mate. I was surprised initially that Viking Cruises would use such a "shady Company" (based on the negative reviews of course). Turns out that they are not shady at all. I cannot explain all the negative reviews but felt compelled to share my own experience. All I can say is that I did provide a very detailed claim form with every piece of information requested. Having said this, given my experience with Trip Mate so far, I would highly recommend using Trip Mate. At least with a Viking Cruise... This was one of the easiest insurance claims experiences I ever had. Zero complaints. Everything was handled professionally and quickly.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

While in the initial stages of filing a claim with Trip Mate, and based on the reviews I had read here, I was very concerned that we'd never see any of our money returned. In August of this year, my husband and I had to cancel a trip with Viking Cruises due to his sudden illness. We called Viking on the day we were supposed to depart for the trip, and I downloaded the claim forms from Trip Mate on the same day. My husband had seen the doctor about ten days prior to our departure date and was still not fit for travel. I read the insurance policy very carefully and followed all of the instructions to a tee. It took about two weeks to get all the documents together and signed by our physician. I kept copies of everything I submitted. I MAILED all documents (certified mail with return receipt service). Because of this, I was able to see exactly when Trip Mate received my documents and who signed for them.

I checked Trip Mate's website and it showed that they updated the claim status to reflect receipt of the documents, on the same day that the return receipt stated that they had been delivered. I continued checking the claim status online every few days, and after about two weeks, I called Trip Mate to inquire how much longer our refund might take. The rep informed me that the claim had been approved and sent to the accounting department. She told me to allow 5-10 business days for them to send me an electronic check. About 12 days after this, (and exactly 30 days after they received all my documents), I called to ask about the check. I experienced very long hold times (in excess of 15 minutes), but I selected a prompt to ask for an automatic return call. Literally 5 minutes after that, and without actually talking to a real live person, I received one of our checks in my email.

When I called immediately afterward to inquire about the whereabouts of the second check, I again experienced long hold times, but again requested a return call. Within ten minutes of that, I got a call back from a rep who explained that the second check went to my husband's email. Sure enough, there it was in his email. We deposited both checks with no problems, as a full reimbursement of our trip payment. From the beginning, Trip Mate stated HOW and WHEN everything would happen with our refund, and I must say, they followed through on their statements. My best advice is to read your policy very well, follow every single instruction, and keep a good document trail. I would have given five stars for our Trip Mate experience, but the month-long wait for the return of our money was a bit anxiety-provoking. Overall, I am very relieved and satisfied with our experience.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

The claim that I made with TripMate insurance is finally settled - The TripMate e-check arrived online in the full amount (of the limit) of the claim. I am now a happy camper and would have given TripMate 5 stars, but gave 4 instead because of the following: 1) Documentation required for claim is excessive. You must save EVERYTHING about your trip, your expenses, plane tickets, hotel/places stayed, police reports, hospital reports, witnesses, etc. This took me the better part of a day to collect, scan, and submit these records to the TripMate online claim form.

2) Claim I.D. number changes excessively. You start your claim with your Plan # and your Trip Insurance #, then receive a claim # WHICH CHANGES as they email you or when you check the status of the claim online. My claim number changed 3 times. 3) Wait time excessive for claim e-check payment. After all of my required documentation was received by TripMate, I still has an almost 2 month wait for the e-check. My insurance agent guy does not understand the wait time that TripMate uses to pay a claim. His company settles well-documented claims within weeks, not months.

Will I use TripMate insurance again on a future trip? Definitely yes. TripMate insurance is an excellent value. They cover things that other trip companies do not at a very reasonable price. Now that I know the rules of the TripMate claim process, I will be better prepared if I require it again. Knowing how the "claim-game" is played by TripMate gives me a better understanding of the process, and yes, patience is a virtue.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: June 25, 2019

First you need to know all communications are electronic including filing your claim, your documentation and any reimbursement checks they may be issuing. You are expected to scan any claim documents to Trip Mate and watch their website for progress. If you need to speak with a person it takes a long time to navigate their phone system. I opted to leave my name and number for a call back rather than wait on hold. Alyssa (Nevada) called me back and seemed disinterested and bothered with my questions and need to change an email. I could not find a place on their website to edit our contact information. Our reimbursement is not fully explained either. I called back and this time Jeremy (Kansas City) was friendly and clearly answered my questions and I am confident the email is accurate and know when to expect a reimbursement. I will not do business with them again.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I booked with an Airline that offered insurance, so I purchased Trip Mate Insurance. What a nightmare they put me through. They issued e-checks through the e-mail except I filed a claim due to a death of my traveling companion. They issued a check to her. I paid for the airline tickets with my credit card which I thought would be reimbursed to me. After I went through with all their paperwork even providing a death certificate. At first they were no problem, "We will straighten that out. Sorry for your loss." And they still would not issue the check back to me. I did try to get it straighten out with them. Then I told them to argue with American Express my credit card company. What a horrible company to put me through this over and over again. Stay away. Do not purchase. They are not an honorable company. That's why I gave them ONE STAR for a rating. They don't deserve that but the survey requires to give one.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I purchased travel insurance because we booked our trip almost 8 months in advance. We later found out that my husband and I are expecting our first child. My doctor advised me that he did not want me traveling out of the country because it is so close to my due date. I filed a claim, waited a month to only be told that it was denied. They said that they just needed a letter from my doctor stating that I could not travel. The doctor sent them an email. I then received a letter in the mail denying my claim again.

Now they have said that a doctor's letter stating that I am unable to fly is not covered under complications due to pregnancy. I called them back and now am told that being unable to fly as stated by my doctor is not a "complication due to pregnancy." We would love to take this vacation planned but are not able to. Zoey, an employee, was very rude, not understanding or helpful in any way. I am very frustrated and disappointed in this travel protection. I will never use them again.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I decided that I want to cancel my policy because I had to cancel the flight for a reason that was not covered by the policy. I politely asked for cancellation and she stated that it is NOT REFUNDABLE and telling me that I am not understanding what she is saying and treating me like I am stupid. Then I politely asked to talk with someone else. She told me that no one will be able to help me with this. She was very rude and mean and I really don't recommend Trip Mate for travel insurance. What if someone just buys it by mistake or find it not suitable for any reason. That's it!!!! Customer satisfaction and courtesy is something they need to learn from the beginning.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I have to give 1 star because I could not give a negative score. They will auto reject your trip insurance claim. - Sent in a doctor note and they still denied my claims. They also take a long time to "review" your claim wearing you down. Stay away from Trip Mate. They only try to make a quick buck with your money.

Original review: May 10, 2019

My family and I went on vacation in March 2018 from DTW airport to PUJ Dominican Republic. We were there on vacation. On our return home our flight had an emergency landing. As a result we were separated from our luggage. As a result we reported as missing as it went all over the United States. Finally after relentless pursuit of our luggage we did receive it. It was brutally damaged, clothing inside suitcases, everything as we do have photos. We sent all the information to Trip Mate and to this day almost 1 year later we still have not received any funding for a damaged Luggage.

We purchased insurance for it this and it takes forever to get in contact somebody and for someone to contact us. They never have any information on our claim. It has gone through the appeal process already two times. They keep denying it. We purchased the insurance and we should get reimbursement for something to help cover what we lost on our family vacation. After a year of battling with them they now request luggage appraisals for repair receipts and photos and appraisal amounts to cover the damaged items. I decided to call a lawyer. DO NOT CHOOSE THIS COMPANY FOR INSURANCE! They are horrible.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I filed a claim for the full cost of a 2 week trip to Europe for 2 people ($6,800). 2 months before departure I discovered a tumor in my colon that required extensive surgery and hospitalization. My doctor discouraged me from traveling so we canceled the trip. I filed my claim online April 25th. Emailed the doctors form to my surgeon who emailed it to Trip Mate. On May 7th I was approved for a full refund for me and my daughter. The entire process was simple, though it did require pulling together several proof documents. In this day and age of insurance fraud you cannot blame a company for verifying everything. I fully expected to have to fight for my refund based on my general experience with insurance companies, but Trip Mate made it clear what documentation they needed, I provided it and they approved. It was just that smooth and professional. I will use them again in the future.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Don’t waste your money and your time. I learned you can buy trip insurance on your own. You don’t have to use a company tied to your transportation or tour provider. Trip Mate denied our claim, so Amtrak gets to keep the refund readily offered by the hotel. We lost one night’s lodging. 737’s were grounded, so we were moved to a flight that was ten hours earlier. We had to get to Calgary the night before and pay for a hotel in order to make the flight. Trip Mate asked for TONS of documentation and did not notify me the claim was denied. They only put information online.

Original review: April 25, 2019

We bought this travel insurance thru CheapOair. I think they are partners in ripping off by offering this insurance. I am traveling with my 85 years old mother & she suddenly felt that she’s not feeling well to travel. They denied the claim, too many excuses.

Original review: April 22, 2019

We went on a family vacation in early March of 2019. We traveled by Norwegian Air on an overseas trip. Midway through our trip, every country grounded Boeing 737 Max 8 airliners. Our return trip was to be on one of those jets and so our return flight was altered. Two of our group were rerouted to fly out of London rather than Edinburgh and were to fly into JFK rather that Stewart (where our car was parked). Two were only rerouted to JFK. (Same problem) Although the airline agreed to provide vouchers for hotel and food, they did not provide the ground transportation to London from Edinburgh nor did they provide the transportation necessary to get from JFK to Stewart to retrieve our cars.

We submitted documentation to Trip Mate for those expenses and were told that this trip interruption was not a covered expense. If not this, what WOULD be a covered expense?! Well, things like hijackings, medical emergencies, ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE! The things that they DO cover are so unlikely as to be ridiculous. Never again for us!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I am planning a trip to Patagonia with BackRoads Travel Company and unfortunately, they work together with Trip Mate for Travel Insurance. The reason I am VERY skeptical to use Trip Mate again, is because in July of 2015, I was invited by family on a Viking Cruise. Our tickets were purchased, along with a Travel Insurance with Trip Mate. However, my back was injured at work and I could not go on the Viking Cruise. I sent all the necessary documents that were required and after 4 months, they denied me $400.00 that were due me. I was livid and swore to myself, I would never use Trip Mate again. I am shocked and disappointed that BackRoads recommends them.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Worth every penny. Filed claim forms online, received the refund in less than 30 days. I see lots of bad reviews, but my experience was a good one. Just fill out the forms completely and submit. It's easy to monitor the progress of the claim online.

Original review: April 10, 2019

We had to cancel our Globus tour to France this month due to a traveling companion's illness and had to process our Trip Mate claim. I made sure I included all the documentation required. I did follow up with them via phone, using their call back service. The called back within an hour or so. I had read all of these horrendous reviews and figured we'd never get our money back. Wow, was I was surprised! We received a full refund within 30 days of filing the claim! Pleased and relieved.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I have purchased TripMate insurance through either Grand Circle or Overseas Adventure Travel on seven different occasions. On my last adventure, I broke a rib and it took me three days to get medical care overseas. I collected all of the appropriate documentation and brought it home with me. I filed a claim for about $550.00 on Jan. 30. TM acknowledged receipt online, but neglected to send me an email. You can't really call them, but their Call Back service does work.

Their eventual response was to ask me to file with my healthcare provider at home. But if you had Medicare or TriCare, then they wanted Contact information. I sent that, and they still wanted me to file with my healthcare provider (I have a Senior Medicare Advantage Plan).

So I called my SMAP, went ahead and filed, and actually got paid in about two weeks or so, minus a $50.20 Co-Pay. I provided all this info to TripMate, so am still waiting for them to cough up this small amount. You really only need Emergency Healthcare overseas and you will always pay out of your own pocket in advance. So whether TripMate provides a real service or not is hard to judge. The jury is still out, as far as I'm concerned.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Go with another company. I snapped my ACL first day on a 7-day Indonesian island boat tour. No reimbursement of the trip in any way. Excuses Excuses Excuses... It's a waste of money. They don't provide any service except to collect your money. If I could give negative stars I would.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Never buy anything from this company. They are bunch of liars, non professionals, I don’t know how they are in business. I always buy trip insurance but never used it, until now and this is worst nightmare, so I purchased ticket for my mother and I bought insurance just in case, she went to our for vacation. Everything was fine, she was fine and healthy. But one day she went to the doctor for regular check up because it’s very cheaper compare to the USA, so she got diagnosed thyroid cancer and she needed a s surgery ASAP. So we rescheduled the flight. After everything finished and my mother returned in usa we filed claim to get something from them, since it was flight interaction and we had serious reasons for it. We provided everything possible every documentation, OMG how much documentation they asked it was crazy but we did. It’s been 7 months and they still reviewing our case. THIS COMPANY IS TRASH. Never buy anything!

Original review: March 23, 2019

In January of this year we had to cancel a July Paris cruise due to health reasons. We submitted our Claim mid January and the Dr. submitted on Jan. 25th. Our Claim was well documented and complete, we received no requests for additional information. Our payments arrived on March 16th and 18th. While responses to my email questions were not same day, we were more than delighted to receive our checks in 2 months. We would recommend this company!

Original review: March 13, 2019

I purchased travel insurance from them and my trip got delayed and got my suitcase damaged. They are very slow, and requested me same document over and over again. My travel was last summer but now in March, they still requesting me to submit same supporting documents! Not solved yet! It is wasting money and time. I strongly recommend not to buy this company's insurance.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Their default position seems to be to deny every claim that comes in and then avoid any call to question this. They have zero interest in dealing with customers or actually providing any actual services. They have zero accountability, zero follow-up/through, and zero class.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I had a very simple claim, lost nights at a pre-paid hotel (Sandals) due to an emergency evacuation caused by weather. Trip Mate would not pay! I had countless follow-ups over a nine-month period. Finally, I had enough, and I asked my state insurance commissioner to intervene. Then, and only then, did I get my money and an explanation. It was not pretty. Their log on claims processing had three-pages of single-spaced type on all the steps they took, including multiple failed attempts to address my concerns. They logged everything, and it reeked of gross incompetence. The log proved that my initial submission was perfectly documented and that they easily verified the loss. The only good thing I can say is I got a letter of apology, but I suspect they wrote it so the insurance commissioner would read his copy. They not want him to revoke their license, which is what I had recommended. This is HORRIBLE company! Find another one.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Purchased the insurance when we purchased our Backroads bicycling tour to Italy for MAY of 2018. My luggage was lost for three days and my husband’s was lost for a week. Filed the claim when we returned in MAY 2018. It’s now MARCH 2019 and we still aren’t resolved. Every communication is initiated by me. They say they will expedite my claim, but don’t. I’m now in the appeal process because after my husband’s luggage was missing for a week, they will only pay $178.

DON’T WASTE YOUR MONEY. The Backroads trip was excellent, but I am concerned that such a company would affiliate themselves with such a horrible partner.

Original review: March 7, 2019

This is the absolute worst company ever. Don’t know how they sleep at night. Had a family vacation booked to Turks and Caicos with my children and parents. A few months before the trip my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. The doctors started her on treatment and were hopeful she would be able to take this vacation. As the trip was approaching in December the doctors informed us her cancer had spread and she would not be able to go. Trip Mate refuses our claim because they said she should have known she couldn’t go!!! Are you kidding me? We are hiring an attorney and will pursue this claim. Please don’t ever pay for this this insurance!!!

Original review: March 6, 2019

I purchased Trip Mate Insurance for my daughter's summer teen trip. Her trip got interrupted due to health reasons. Timely submitted claim on and provided all supporting documents in July 2018. Finally without notice, I visited the website to check the claim status and it was denied with NO notice to my family. Biggest waste of money ever! I always knew travel insurance would be a scam.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I purchased travel insurance through this company for a 21 day cruise I took to Cuba. I went with Trip Mate because it was endorsed by the cruise line. I had never purchased insurance through them before. I shouldn't have this time. Travel insurance is expensive. I figured it would be worth it if I ever needed it. I needed it on this trip. My husband died in Cuba. His death forced me to cancel numerous non refundable reservations and cost me some medical bills.

Trip Mate has made putting in a claim nearly impossible with the amount of documentation they require and the number of things they don't cover. I lost my husband on this cruise and Trip Mate is doing everything in their power to keep from paying me what I got the insurance for in the first place. I've never dealt with a company that cares so little about customers as this company. I'm still fighting them over items I've claimed. In the market for travel insurance, I highly recommend you go somewhere else.

Original review: March 1, 2019

This company is more concerned with getting out of covering you than they are of working to cover you in a timely matter. Never, ever, ever purchase travel insurance, and run far away if that travel insurance is through Trip Mate. This company is nothing but a racket.

Trip Mate Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.

• 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.

• Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.

• 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.

• Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.

• Best for: Party animals, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky