2.3/5 (1002 ratings)
Find a Travel Insurance partner
Banner image

Traveling soon? Make sure your trip is covered!

Get travel insurance that meets your needs on Faye

Check Pricing

About Trip Mate Insurance

Banner image

Traveling soon? Make sure your trip is covered!

Get travel insurance that meets your needs on Faye

Check Pricing

Trip Mate Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

We had to stay in our stateroom on a Viking River Cruise for 7 nights due to my having Covid. Trip Mate requested verification from the hospital in Germany, which we provided. Viking also wrote a letter to Trip Mate telling that the company policy for Covid was to keep the passengers on the ship. We were not able to go on shore excursions or participate in any ship activities due to both my husband and myself needing to quarantine in our room. We understood we had "trip cancellation insurance", but Trip Mate denied it. PLEASE choose a different company for your travels.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

We had to cancel a Viking cruise leaving late August because I had a heart attack shortly before departure. We are still trying to get our $15,000 claim resolved over 4 months later. Twice they have asked for more information and while they claim that it takes 30 days to resolve, they have never met their deadline and just say they are very busy. Calls to their customer support are useless! No updated information is given and they refuse (politely) to answer my questions as to why it is taking so long. We are beyond frustrated.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

Viking Cruise Lines recommended TripMate insurance for a recent international trip. They supposedly provided coverage for trip interruptions to include late/cancelled/delayed flight interruptions. Their brochure listed reimbursements up to $3,000 for any of these related activities. Our flight to England was late arriving from the states, causing us to miss a connection to Madrid. When trying to reschedule to another Madrid flight I was told that the remaining flights were all booked and that we would have to remain in England that night and would be rebooked on another flight the following day. This caused us to miss a night in Madrid on our Viking extension which was prepaid. TripMate paid a sum total of $399.60 for two days of misery to include a night sleeping in the Heathrow Airport. Avoid this rip-off company at all costs!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2023

Like so many others, my claim due to having to rebook a flight after a connecting flight from a different airline was missed due to a delay... They say that the plane delay does not qualify under the section that says the insurance covers "travel delay". I'm sure many travel insurance companies are doing this now as they would likely be losing their shirts if they were to actually fulfill their contracts and we have no means of recourse without a time-intensive lawsuit and we're just all out of mental capacity after the brutal travel. This is immoral treatment of paying customers to continuously deny legitimate claims that their documents say should be covered.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

Bought this insurance based on Viking River Cruises recommendations on Viking's booking system. Was removed from cruise after 2 days. Numerous calls and emails later they still can't do math in Claims Department. Customer service can but since as the customer, I am not allowed to speak with anyone in claims and apparently not able to send an email that actually goes to a person, we have been unable to get this resolved. When you submit anything to claims, you are given a random person to address that one issue so it appears the claims are constantly being handled by someone new who doesn't know how to read a Viking itinerary, bill, credit card statement or even when they can, do math properly. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

I purchased travel insurance for a trip to Italy and France primarily because of concerns with the problems the airline industry was experiencing with flight delays and cancellations, lost luggage and potential CV19 complications. My flights to and from the United States were both cancelled and our luggage was lost, problems that I assumed were core to travel insurance protection. While the actual cost of these cancellations and other problems was close to $3000, the ultimate cash claim payments were a fraction of that. If that was not bad enough, the claims administration experience was equally disappointing. I had to make multiple telephone calls to get answers to my questions, was requested to provide additional supporting detail and was given inaccurate email addresses to submit claim appeals. Never again would I or recommend to others that they use Trip Mate!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

July 2022, trip was delayed due to American Airlines fight was delayed which caused us to miss connecting flight. We had to spend night in airport and got to destination later next day morning. Filed claim upon return to home and provided all needed documents within post 30 days of trip. As of today October 28, 2022, NO PAYMENTS OR NOTHING... CLAIM STILL HANGING. They claim Covid is delay. Never again with this company TRIP MATE.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

This company is a big scam, I bought the insurance through CheapOair and it was a ticket for almost 2400 dollars so I bought the insurance. Then I had back pain and went to my doctor few days before my flight so I had to cancel, and both of CheapOair and Trip Mate did not refund me anything. Beware these two scammers.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

We were required to pay insurance for our daughter's trip abroad and paid several hundreds of dollars. The trip was in June and we started filing info for the losses on the return from the trip. It is now mid September and they have yet to provide anything. Everytime they request something, you are required to turn it in immediately but it resets their "clock" and they give themselves another 30 days. With that tactic, they keep renewing their efforts to do nothing. Do not buy this insurance. I feel twice taken due to the loss during the trip and having paid for this insurance.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

DO NOT buy “insurance” from this Company! We purchased a $2000 policy on a $30K trip forced on us by Viking Cruises in January, 2022. My family had a medical emergency and doctors would not allow us to travel and provided all the documentation required. We submitted a claim with this fraudulent company with all the documents requested. They have only communicated that they “assigned a claims examiner”. We have called at least weekly for the last two months and have been told they’re “escalating it” and still have no response. They promise to call back with status and they never do. Trip Mate practices unethical behavior and provides empty promises. This is a fraudulent company and it’s also a significant reflection on Viking Cruises too. There are many travel insurance companies and this is not one. They are a bait and switch operation. DO NOT give this operation your money. You will not get it back until you hire an attorney!

Trip Mate Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.

• 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.

• Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.

• 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.

• Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor