2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.00/5

Trip Mate Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

TripMate deserves zero stars. Customer service is absolutely inexistent, they will not refund your money. Coronavirus has exposed its shady scheme. I submitted a claim in March 2020 and it's been 10 months without any response. They have to pay for this.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

This is my third time booking a trip with the Trip Mate I am canceling my son's trip because Explorica is not sure if they’re even going to go on the trip on the schedule date. My son has to be at his military training three days after he returns, due to the pandemic I’m not sure if he would have to quarantine when he gets back or if he goes to Spain or France if they will detain the travelers and he might not make it back on time. I purchased the travel cancel for any reason insurance all three times. They are not giving me my full refund because they said it’s not a covered reason. This is cancel for any reason...Somebody need investigate this company because they are tricking travelers into purchasing this fraudulent insurance. Brad Finkle is a the ambassador/CEO.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

If there were zero stars that's what I would rate that. We are in the midst of a GLOBAL PANDEMIC. We obviously booked our trip not knowing this would be an issue. We had to cancel since we are not able to meet the quarantine requirements and TripMate is not issuing any refund. Horrible customer service and STEALING money.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2021

My wife and I cancelled a trip in March of 2020 due to Covid risk to our health. (The trip organizer actually cancelled 2 days later.) We filed a claim. They do not answer the phone, so your only source of information is an online claim status system. Nothing happened for months and then the status system said they had sent a request for more information. We finally got it over a month later. Then they decided against us before receiving our information response. Then the online status said they had sent a letter of explanation. Never received until I repeatedly asked them to resend. Now they have denied us again, said they sent a letter of explanation, and almost a month later, we still do not have it.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

While traveling oversea two months ago. I subscribed a travel policy insurance with this company. My flight was delayed for two consecutive days leaving the USA.. I finally traveled and went back in the USA.. I contacted them and was asked to submit all details of my delayed trip which I did. After 10 days they wrote to me and asking me to write to the airlines company so they can justify to them why their aircraft didn't travel during the two days. (After numerous emails exchange with the airlines company that I sent to them) they refused to compensate me.

The so-called examiners of Trip mate aren't doing anything to investigate your claim.. Just buying time to pretend that they are working on your claim. Learn from my experience with this CON-TRAVEL INSURANCE COMPANY called TRIP MATE and Stay away from it. I am preventing you to be their next victim. Do yourself a favor. Find another insurance travel company.... I wish this review had less than one star because they deserve NOTHING.. I am also writing to BBB about this company..

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

Our first big purchase and investment that we dreamed of for our 15th anniversary vacation. We purchased the vacation insurance with the recommendation of Sandals Resort. Sandals resort I have no quarrel with, they returned all money that was given to them in advance because that’s what a real company does when a consumer doesn’t use a product or wants to return something that isn’t received, or used. $3,500 was spent on airplane tickets that we haven’t received or used in any way because we canceled the trip due to my injury back in March. I haven’t worked since. I have been on crutches and in a cast for three times. I just had surgery at the beginning of September and now I’ll be in cast till the end of September.

Our vacation was set for 9/3/20. I’ll be rehabbing till the end of the 2020 year and won’t get back to work till 2021. With all that time lost on the job we won’t be going on vacation for another couple of years. I have looked this company up online and see all kinds of complaints due to the coronavirus travel restrictions and everyone cancelled their vacations. Why haven’t they got in trouble for fraudulent business practices? Why are they getting away taking people’s hard earned money and nothing’s being done about it. So many complaints and no compliments. Shut them down! Selling a product and using loopholes to ripoff the consumers is not how business should be done.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I sent in all the info from my electrocardiologist that I needed to have an ablation, my heart was beating 180 beats pr min; dr said I need to have procedure done so I cancelled my trip, sent in all the info and am still waiting for a refund 520.00. This is since Mar 2020. This is how many months that I have been waiting 7 months and I believe this is unacceptable..Why would I encourage anyone to purchase ins if we have to continue to call them and ask where and when I will see my claim processed. I believe that you would also feel that 7 months is a very long time to have this issue resolved.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Only received notice that it will take 30 Calendar days for review and now speaking with their customer service they say due to the pandemic it will take even longer which is very unacceptable. I work for a travel company and we have service during this crisis of having coverage via accounting dept, sales, marketing, customer service, etc. All covered during business hours so for Trip Mate to say they cannot get a Manager or Supervisor to help this is not reasonable. If you are traveling DO NOT get your travel insurance through Trip Mate since it should not take over 30 Calendar days for them to review or contact you with information.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

This company does not communicate at all. I tried calling with questions on why they denied giving me a refund for a trip I paid for that was cancelled due to COVID-19 not to mention I paid for the insurance on the trip and there was an auto response telling me to send an email. I tried email customer service and it would not go through. They do not respond in a professional manner nor do they honor their insurance policy. This company along with Cheap Caribbean is a joke and I will not book anything with them ever again!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I purchased Trip Mate's Plan F200B for a trip to the Ukraine through CheapOair. The flight departed on 02/08/2020 and was to return on 05/06/2020. Unfortunately, due to the Pandemic, the return flight was canceled due to the fact that the Ukraine Government stopped all travel. The trains stopped running, and the Airports were closed and shut down except for emergencies and exemptions. We were forced to purchase a new one way return ticket. A claim was filed with Trip Mate for the covered reason of “a government-mandated shutdown of an airport or air traffic control system for reasons other than terrorism or an act of war.” We simply wanted to be reimbursed for the one way return ticket. Not the additional expenses of stay in the Ukraine an additional 7 weeks!

Trip Mate denied the claim after an extended delay in processing, because it didn’t qualify as a covered medical emergency. They simply ignored the actual covered reason for our claim. We were never actually able to speak to anyone regarding the claim. Their automated telephone system prevented any direct communication. We contacted the Morgan and Morgan Law Firm for a consultation. They said we had a good case but they weren’t interested and recommend small claims court. Apparently there was no money in it for them. So much for...”For the People!” Ambulance chasing law firms can’t be bothered with right or wrong or principles... only the bottom line. That’s just my opinion. In my experience, I found Trip Mate to be dishonest, unreliable and a complete waste of money. I would certainly be part of a Class Action Suit against Trip Mate!

Trip Mate Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.

• 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.

• Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.

• 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.

• Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor