Trip Mate Insurance

Compare Travel Insurance

Research top Travel Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Purchased TripMate thru CheapOAir and filed claim after baggage was lost and delayed. Contacted TripMate by phone 6 times after checking their website and not seeing any info regarding my claim after giving required info. After two months of calls and checking site I'm informed that my claim was denied. And this is after their agent told me I couldn't make a claim to the airlines as that would invalidate my TripMate claim. All documentation was emailed to TripMate as requested but still my claim was denied. I contacted my credit card company and I disputed their charge and was awarded the dispute. At least I got my money back. :) Thank you Citibank!

I agree. This company is the worst. The agreement was that I could cancel my trip and get reimbursed for up to 75% of what I paid, no questions asked. Yet, they denied my claim. What a scam. Don't use this company. I know I will never use them again.

A total rip-off. I will never purchase any tickets or use Trip Mate again. Had to cancel trip due to death of my fiance's mother but she didn't count as my family member. The worst company out there. Death is death. The Obituary and a written statement was provided. Did not meet the family definition!

I always buy Trip Insurance but have never had to use it until this past summer. Booked a trip to Greece and fell and was unable to travel. The claim was submitted mid August 2016 it is now 10/1816. I have had nothing but runarounds, no one can answer my questions asked for more documentation etc. BOTTOM LINE... They don't want to pay. I called and was told a check was "cut" 10/10/16 but unable to tell me when it would be mailed... "NOT IN THIS BATCH" to be mailed yet. It's up to accounting. Asked who could I talk to in accounting. Told that's not possible. They want your money but don't want to pay. Bottom line this is a claim filed three months ago, can't tell me when it will be mailed maybe by November but not a definite answer. What I need to do next? Go to the Media to get an answer? Do NOT USE THIS COMPANY... Very poor customer service.

Never ever buy insurance from AON! I had to reschedule my flight due to a strike call of the Canadian Post in August, which made it impossible to get my visa in time from the US Embassy. I paid for the insurance exactly for this reason, because I knew something can come up and I wanted to be covered. Now they rejected my claim because it's not a medical emergency or jury duty. Why don't they cover all reasonable cause that's not my fault? This is disgusting, a worst practice when it comes to insurance agencies. I'll never ever buy anything that has something to do with AON.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

I have to agree with everyone else that this is one of the "WORST COMPANY" out there. Their primary goal is to fight you hard in order not to pay your legit claim. If you purchase trip protection coverage with this company, you are simply not only fooling yourself but also wasting your money in process. Too bad we all had to find out how bad these guys are when we have a claim.

This is absolutely the worst company in the world to deal with. Getting them to pay a legitimate claim on a trip insurance policy is pure torture. They service other companies for handling claims; the trick is to know whether your insurance company uses Trip Mate.

My daughter and I flew to Russia via Turkey, bought the Trip Mate. On the way back Turkish company did not let out us from Russia to Turkey, because there was a terrorist attack in Turkey. We were detained for 4 days, and then they sent us on another flight which was 7 hours longer, and which we paid for Luggage $300. In the Trip Mate after I claim some form they told us that nothing terrible happened and we are not going to receive any compensation.

A total rip off. Purchased this travel insurance through Sandals. "CANCEL AT ANY TIME". We had to cancel our trip and not only lost the $218 for the insurance, we have also lost $400.00. Seems as though the only way you get a full refund is if you or your travel companion die or are hospitalized and you get a doctor's note. We cancelled our trip 5 months before going away. Have jumped through all Trip Mate's hoops, sent all forms and have called numerous times, but still no refund coming our way. This has put a bad taste in our mouth as far as Sandals goes also. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS INSURANCE!!!

I bought a plane ticket for my Mother. She was flying from Pensacola Alabama to Los Angeles California on 5-23-2016. My Mother was unable to come due to her feet started swelling. I purchased this ticket for my Mother on 4-19-2016. My Mother was seen by her physician regarding her feet swelling after 5-23-2016 which is more than a month after I purchased the ticket. I contacted Trip Mate and advised I cancelled the trip and I was requesting a refund. Trip Mate sent me the necessary paperwork to complete and for my Mothers physician to complete. The paperwork was completed by Trip Mate denied the claim stating my Mother was seen by her physician prior to her flight.

My Mother is 69 years of age and she has other medical conditions but her feet were not swelling prior to 4-19-2016 which is the date I purchased the ticket. I bought this ticket online through CheapOAir. I have purchased several tickets with insurance through CheapOAir in the past. I will never purchase any tickets or use Trip Mate as a travel insurance again. I will tell everyone I know regarding the bad customer service I received from Trip Mate as well as CheapOAir. I will be using South West from now on. Customer Service and Satisfaction goes a long way with me!!!

I filed a claim that they received 7/28/16. It is 8/22/16 and I have no decision. I tried calling a few minutes ago and never got through. I checked my claim status online and that's useless. For the amount we pay we should expect better service. I will NEVER buy their insurance again.

On January 2016 I buy a trip to Sandals Resort in Jamaica and I Buy the Trip Mate insurance. In March 13 My husband's mother was hospitalized with a pancreatis and we was supposed to travel on March 18 so we have to suspend the trip. When I call Trip Mate they told me that that's a value reason so they send me all the papers to fill for my mother in law doctor. I send all the papers and every evidence from the hospital. I send all the evidence of payment to sandals - the money orders to the credit card and the cancellation of the trip and on April I receive the two checks for the total that I pay to Sandals $5,670.00. Then we Booked again the trip on July 2016 with that money. There was a wonderful vacation. Thank you Trip Mate.

I was not able to board the flight to Mexico because of a stolen or lost passport. I sent all the documentation that Trip Mate asked for which was a lot. On their website it says claims take 7 days. When I contacted them I was told claims take 21 working days. I call on day 21 and was told this was only a target not set in stone. 10 days later I receive notification my claim was denied. I took this company to small claims court. The first offer was a joke not even 10%. I told them I would let the judge decide. 3 days later the offer was upped to about 95% of my ticket cost. THE ONLY WAY TO GET THIS COMPANY TO PAY IN MY OPINION IS TO TAKE THEM TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT. Good luck.

My mother and aunt recently purchased trip insurance from Trip Mate as peace of mind in case they needed to alter their trip to Germany to visit my grandmother who is in very poor health. My aunt has had an issue with her arm and leg for years now (sometimes goes numb). She had seen a doctor for this, but the doctor finally decided it was something they needed to look into further, so he ordered an mri. The mri was done the day after the tickets were purchased. The mri revealed that she had a cervical spondylosis with myelopathy. He advised her against any kind of travel. In fact, he said if she hit her body just right, she could be paralyzed for life. So the trip was cancelled, and my aunt went under the knife. The surgery was successful, and she is now able to travel safely. During the entire process, Trip Mate was made aware of the situation, and a claim was filed.

The process took way longer than the representatives advised it would take. The claim was denied for a "pre-existing condition". They appealed, and were denied (after several weeks elapsed again) for the same reason. We explained that my aunt never knew she had this condition until after the tickets were purchased thanks to the mri. Who in their right mind would purchase almost $2k worth of tickets knowing that they could be paralyzed if the plane hits turbulence? So to make a long story short, my family is now stuck with buying another round of tickets with money they really can't afford to spend. Meanwhile, my grandmother is holding on for dear life so she has a chance to say goodbye to her daughters before she passes. This company should be ashamed to be in business. They will gladly take your money, but heaven forbid you ask for a legitimate reimbursement. Save your money!!!

We purchased travel insurance for cancellation ticket refund through CheapAir.com & Booking.com who serve as third party vendor to AMERICAN Airlines. The claim form is 9 pages long & required lot of documentation. We completed the form & it was received by Trip Mate on June 13th, and we were told it took 10 business days to process. Now it's almost 6 wks since they received the completed form and no day in sight to when it will be processed!!! Why would American Airlines allow a third party vendor to sell insurance to their customers when they do not honor their obligations??? THEIR LICENSE TO DO BUSINESS SHOULD be terminated!!

We booked business class airfare and an AmaWaterways cruise through AAA. We filed a claim with Trip Mate at the end of April 2016 to recover our airfare cost. Trip Mate lies when it says it will resolve your claim in two weeks. It has been over two months with no word on our claim. Our insurance was to be able to receive full recovery for cancellation for any reason. Why would AAA sell this type of trip insurance to its customers and then do very little to help their customers recover their trip costs??? We have been AAA customers for over 40 years and this is how they treat you. I'm not sure I can stomach being a member any longer!!!

I booked a trip with OAT and purchased insurance for $599, which was recommended by the agent at OAT. I had given a $35 deposit on the trip. I had to cancel the trip for personal reasons. OAT refunded $50 but said I needed to put in a claim with Trip Mate. Trip Mate denied my claim as it did not meet any of their (far-fetched) guidelines. When I originally took the insurance, I was told my deposit would be refunded for ANY reason. I realize I am out the $599 (which I realize was foolish on my part to insure only $350) but find it difficult to believe I cannot get back my deposit.

Trip Mate was slow and painful to work with. They did not issue a refund and denied a claim made due to Zika Virus. I had to cancel a trip to a CDC identified Zika country as per doctor's orders because of pregnancy. UNBELIEVABLE that they can find a way to deny this claim. I sent them ALL of the paperwork and information, and they required A LOT. Then I waited the fifteen days that they say they need every minute of in order to review the documents. Then I called again and they had the nerve to tell me they never got it. UNREAL. Back to square one with these crooks.

So, I completed ALL the paperwork again, sent it in, Certified USPS mail this time, then of course they needed ANOTHER fifteen days to review. I waited the fifteen days and called them, then they say to me that fifteen days is a "goal" for them to review it by, but they needed MORE TIME. REALLY??? To look at a paper that says the customer had to cancel a trip due to pregnancy and the Zika Virus??? Unbelievable.

Then after a few more days, finally they say they have reviewed the documents, BUT need more time to make a decision. I wait some more. Then, they say Claim Denied. With no further explanation. A "travel certificate" will be issued, which is a worthless piece of paper good for one year. Only good for the company I booked with who only operates vacations in what are countries and islands in the Caribbean that are all affected by Zika! Trip Mate stole my $218 dollars and gave me nothing in return but a worthless piece of paper. They, by definition are a bunch of thieves.

This business is a scam and a joke. Unfortunately my husband and I fell for it and purchased this for our trip overseas. We had a legitimate reason for canceling our trip due to a terror threat and they didn't honor their policy. They make you fill out all this bogus paperwork to file your cancel and it's a joke. WASTE OF MONEY. They do not work with you at all. They just take your money. Pay for Trip Mate, try to use it and you will find out for yourself. You will be stuck. I am so angry with Trip Mate. They SUCK.

Trip Mate Insurance should be put out of business. I was advised by my travel agent to purchase this "peace of mind" plan. It cost $700 /person and HAD to be purchased shortly after booking. We had to cancel our trip due to unexpected financial problems which led to severe depression. Our claim was denied. No mental health issues are accepted. I even spoke to an attorney who said we don't have a case. Buyer beware... Steer clear of this business.

My husband and I travel almost every year and within the last 5 years we traveled Europe. We had made plans to travel to Holland in April of 2016 and reserved the trip in Oct of 2015. In November we traveled to Greece and on the flight over my husband had a possible cardiac event. He required oxygen and a passenger Md examined him and he seemed to recover and we cut back some of our activities in Greece. On our return we became anxious about the Holland trip and

canceled in Feb 2016. Now Trip Mate refuses to give back our deposit. Really Rotten. They should be glad we canceled. If we had to return because of an "event" they would have had to spend more.

$218 for trip insurance was a total rip off. I had to cancel a Sandals+airfare reservation for a medical reason and not only did I not get my money back, they said they were keeping the airline portion of the refund. KEEPING IT. So they made money on the trip insurance but also were keeping the airline REFUND??? I would definitely never use this company. They are hooked up with Sandals so shop around. There are many on the internet.

Do NOT use this trip insurance company. Trip Mate states on their website "Claims will be finalized in 5 working days after receiving all information". This is a blatant lie. The have had our claim forms for 21 working days. We purchased his insurance through OAT (Overseas Adventure Travel). Shame on OAT for promoting this company. Someone has had our $4,000 illegally for three plus weeks. Our claim is perfect. Shortly after Trip Mate received our forms we called and were told that all was in order and our claim was being processed. We have not heard a word from them since this call. There is no helpful information on their website about the status of our claim.

This company is a sham! They just want to keep our money for as long as they can get away with it. It is funny as they demanded our payment immediately when we decided to use them through OAT... I wish I had checked the reviews of Trip Mate before purchasing their plan. I was a fool to trust OAT. It is a crime to treat a customer like this... Trip Mate is not, I repeat NOT an honest Insurance Company! Save yourself a great deal of stress and do not insure your trip with this company. I repeat DO NOT insure your trip with Trip Mate.

Airfare reimbursement after trip cancellation - I had to cancel my trip on medical condition. Trip Mate Insurance is a fraud company. For several month they are pulling my legs asking for additional information in order to complete review of the claim. I've provided tons of paper without any results. I advise people to stay away from this insurance company.

I flew to Ohio to check on my father, who told me on the telephone that he was having a stroke. I bought travel insurance with Trip Mate because I feared that my father's condition would keep me in Ohio longer than I planned. As I feared, I found him down. He went into the hospital and then to hospice where he died. In spite of the fact that Trip Mate lists interruption of travel due to the death of a family member as an eligible circumstance for payment, they are refusing to pay. Here is their stated reason: "once one leg of a round-trip airline ticket has been used, the unused return portion of that ticket has no value. Therefore, there is no benefit payable under the plan for the unused return flight." Does that sound fair to you?

I paid for a cruise to several ports to include Paris. I put down the down payment, plus insurance to start roughly around $800. The insurance policy stated that you could "cancel for any reason". It just so happens that I was unable to go and had to cancel thinking it was ok since I had insurance. I corresponded with Trip Mate on several occasions only to be told to fill out documents from my mom's primary care doctor as she ended up in the hospital and I was her sole caretaker. This was done and submitted only to receive vouchers. I explained that I wanted my money back but have been waiting since November of 2014. Do not plan or schedule any trip with these people, as you can tell it's not worth it.

I booked a trip to New Zealand and cancelled because of emergency hernia surgery. I submitted all of their paperwork in January. They wouldn't communicate with me other than through some cryptic messages on their website in the claim status log. They supposedly needed to verify that I had not received a refund from the Travel Supplier. This verification process took 4 months. They could have asked the Travel Supplier and received a response in 4 minutes!! To my surprise, I actually did receive a check from Trip Mate approximately 4 months after my surgery. They are not a Total Scam... But you may wake up a few times at 3 a.m. wondering if you'll ever see a penny from Trip Mate. Don't give up - you may get lucky.

Wife and I just booked a land tour with one of the tour companies that uses Trip Mate as their travel insurance provider. Due to all the negative comments read at this website, we have decided to use another insurance company or just take the chance that nothing happens. I understand now how difficult it would be to get a claim paid from Trip Mate, or probably any other third party travel insurance company for that matter. I also see that there are 127 registered complaints with the BBB in Kansas City over the past three years and that is just from those who took the time to file a complaint. Thanks again for the heads-up!

Useless, worthless, waste of money... What other words can I use to describe Trip Mate. Purchased insurance for a trip to South Africa. 5 people. Cost was around $1000/person. ($5000). Trip was delayed (flight problems) by 1 day. Missed 1st day of animal viewing. Our luggage was delayed for 5 days. After filling out 15 pages of forms we got $91 back. That's a total of $91. They came up with every excuse in the books. Read contract carefully. If it's not SPECIFICALLY stated in the contract they will find a way not to pay for it. I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH... WORTHLESS!!! Wish there were negative stars I could give Trip Mate.

On 10/14/15 we purchased round trip tickets to go to FL keys leaving on 1/20/16 on 11/25/15 my husband was put in the hospital for 17 days. He was in no shape to travel for quite some time after he got out. We were hoping to go if the doctor gave him the OK but that did not happen. He had home care 3 days a week & phys. therapy every second day till just about 1 month ago. On 02/22/16 we put our claim in to Trip Mate. They denied the claim stating it was a pre existing condition. If people in this world were all in great health there would no need for ins. and company's like trip mate would be out of business. They should have their licenses revoked. I would not recommend or use any comp. that sells TRIP MATE INS.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.
  • 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.
  • Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.
  • 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.
  • Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.
  • Best for Party animals, adventurers and family trippers.

Compare Travel Insurance