2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.02/5

Trip Mate Insurance Reviews

Original review: May 27, 2020

I booked a trip with Sandles Resort and the company suggests that you get the Trip Mate Insurance in case anything goes wrong. Well Cov-19 went wrong! Sandles refunded me the money but advised that I had to use Trip Mate to be refunded for the $1500 airline tickets. After almost 3 months TripMate decline to pay anything because I took “Precautionary Measures”. No person will answer the phones or faxes if they work. I never complain and signed up just for this company, shame on them!!!

Original review: May 26, 2020

Planned a trip for me and my wife to Hawaii in April 2020. We were ordered to "Shelter In Place' on March 19, 2020. The state of Hawaii ordered a quarantine of the island at the beginning of April. We tried to get a refund of the charges associated with the cancellation of our flight, but were denied. The cancellation of our trip was in no way our fault, but this company used the pandemic as a way to deny our claim. Never use this company. They will not pay any claim.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 26, 2020

I booked a trip in mid-2019 for a wedding in March 2020. Once the Covid pandemic came around, the airline cancelled my flight. And the resort closed...they completely shut down. I filed my claim with Trip Mate because there was no way to take the trip. Again, the airlines cancelled my flight. And the resort completely closed down. Trip Mate says that this is NOT covered and would not honor a full refund. How is this not covered. Even if I wanted to take my trip, I couldn't. I've called a number of time...never an answer. I've emailed a number of time...never a reply. Just a mailed letter saying not covered and that I can take it up with the Better Business Bureau if I wanted to. DO NOT BUY THIS POS COVERAGE. IT'S A SCAM. THE COMPANY SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN.

Original review: May 15, 2020

This is literally the worst service I’ve ever experienced. I’ve been given the runaround since January. I provided all necessary documentation (receipt of payment for alternate flight and written proof from airline of delay) and my information still hasn’t been inputted into their system nor have I received a refund. It’s been five months. I’ve contacted Trip Mate via email four times and still nothing has been done. My situation has nothing to do with the Coronavirus either. My Claim # is **.

On January 4, 2020, I had a 10 am flight from Newark Liberty Airport to Shanghai-Pu Dong. The flight didn't depart at 10 AM. We sat on the tarmac for almost an hour. This caused me to arrive late. The flight was supposed to arrive at 2:05 PM however, it didn't land until 3:15 PM. This caused me to miss my connecting flight to Seoul Incheon at 4:25 PM. I had work the next day and in order to leave Shanghai the same day I had to purchase a ticket with another airline for ($556.84).

Original review: May 14, 2020

Purchased a trip on Avalon Riverways down the Danube for June 2020 including an Travel Plus policy with Trip Mate which included a cancel for anything clause. According to my Travel Protection Plus a cash refund will be given for specific reasons which included closure of the airport. According to the website (absolutely no communication from the company) my claim was denied and a travel certificate printed. Have absolutely no idea what the travel certificate involves, but I don't want it. Sent a letter to the CEO and VP Client Relations no response. When a I printed out my insurance policy there was a 5 pages document concerning a grievance system with United States Insurance Company. Attempting to track down this US Insurance company is impossible. These people are scam artists and thieves. Stay away at all costs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: May 14, 2020

More than two months ago we started a claim when I had to cancel a Viking river cruise due to health issues. Jumped through all the Trip Mate hoops and filed an appeal based on claim denial by TripMate on the erroneous grounds that Viking had issued trip vouchers. Have heard absolutely nothing from Trip Mate since. Asked Viking to intervene but even Viking customer service can’t get in contact with Trip Mate. While Trip Mate may in fact be busy, rather than hire help to answer the phone, or to even develop a system where Trip Mate would call you back, they have chosen to place the phone(s) on apparent perpetual hold, playing a looped recording of scratchy hold music. This is totally unacceptable behavior on Trip Mate’s part. Viking had recommended them, and it is reflecting very poorly on Viking.

Original review: May 14, 2020

Booked a trip prior to the Covid19 pandemic, paid for this so called insurance they sent me back a canned response letter saying it was not covered. Waste of time filling out their forms, scanning and sending back to them. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON TRIP INSURANCE FROM THIS OUTFIT.

Original review: May 13, 2020

Due to the current health pandemic, travel for our wedding was cancelled. Sandals Resort refunded our room deposits but the insurance that was part of our reservation has been refused to be returned. The company that Sandals chooses to work with is Trip Mate. From the day our plans were cancelled we tried to reach out to Trip Mate, after waiting for 2 days we finally received a call back from a representative who works for Trip Mate. After providing the information requested for all 10 of our reservations (Travelers names, Policy Number, Dates of Travel and Date Travel insurance was purchased) I was told we would hear back within 2-3 weeks, that never happened. I tried to reach out to them via phone to no response, I reached out via email to no reply, finally I tried reaching them on Facebook Messenger and the only response I was given was they were trying to get a response from their Customer Service team.

In checking back with them over the past 2 weeks, now they do not reply at all. I think it is disgusting that a company can make profits off people who had absolutely no option in having to cancel their plans. During a time when MILLIONS of people have been laid off or lost their positions altogether this company has chosen to basically laugh at those people and chooses to keep their money. I would suggest before booking any vacation, see what insurance your credit card company has 1st, you may not need the "coverage" this scam of a company promises to offer.

Original review: May 11, 2020

Do NOT buy travel Insurance from Trip Mate or through CheapOair either. I am left with such disgust dealing with them both. I am a senior citizen stuck in Canada with health issues. My flight got cancelled because of COVID. Many airlines cancelled flights as transit cities closed their borders. Like me, there are many people also caught in this global mess. I am disgusted and shocked by Tripmate's non-interest.

After many calls, some attempts were 30+ minutes on hold, all failed to get an answer. Even emails got ignored. I finally realised they were not going to answer. They are nothing more than scammers. Sure, they are ready to take your money when you book flights but definitely not there to help you when you need it. I have a legitimate claim for being stuck here as my trip was interrupted, I need help. I sympathize with the overwhelming load they have at this time but I still need help from them. When will the authorities step in to make things right for all the innocent people on this page? My Dr encourages me to keep pursuing this as it's unfair for a senior citizen to be burdened with additional expenses. Please tell me, how someone like me can get any assistance?

Original review: May 8, 2020

I paid $919 to purchase Trip Mate insurance through Viking. Due to the worldwide pandemic, I cancelled my river cruise. The company is refusing to refund my money. In my past, Consumer Affairs complaint, the vendor sent a response with a email address stating they want to discuss my situation in private. This is code for denying a request. Please note, on the five star rating reviews, the vendor's response is documented online.

Trip Mate Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.

• 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.

• Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.

• 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.

• Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor