1.05/5
Based on 148 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for travel insurance?

326 Trip Mate Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I have been a travel agent for many years. Never have I seen a company this poor. Clients have filed claim in March and have not been paid out on what should have been a very simple claim. They have submitted all supporting documents on more than one occasion and continue to be told it wasn't submitted, the doctor didn't sign etc. I always recommend trip insurance for my clients. I will NEVER, EVER recommend Trip Mate should one of my travel suppliers use them. I will ONLY offer Allianz insurance or other alternatives. As far as I am concerned Trip Mate stole my client's money. Why should I continue to promote travel protection when they do nothing to protect the client. I will do everything in my power to make sure my clients get paid and that Trip Mate will not do this to another consumer.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

We purchased a ticket from CHEAPOAIR (1st mistake) for my active duty husband to return for a year deployment. His orders changed and he had to go to school. I called weeks before the flight and they told me I had to start a claim and send his orders. This was in May. It's now August and I got online to check the status and it was DENIED because Military clauses are not in the handbook. Great Way to thank a soldier!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I booked a trip on the Rhine River with my daughter. I bought the insurance thru Viking Cruises with "Cancel For Any Reason". Before the trip, my Mother In Law was put on Palliative Care and we were told she would die. I canceled the trip to be there for her and was assured by Viking that "of course, TripMate will totally reimburse you." That was April 2. Today is August 4. They will not answer any calls directly. All calls go thru a Call Center who have told me they know nothing. I wait forever to get thru "due to high volume" and when they do call back, often it is at 6:00 a.m. or 9:00 p.m. And... it is the call center. I called Viking and they will take no responsibility. This after many cruises I have taken with them. Never again. The Insurance Company is a fraud and Viking will not back you up. You lose your money all the way around.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

CheapOair sold me a trip policy with these people - they told me if one of our party was unable to travel this company would reimburse me for travel charges. All I needed was a plane ticket reimbursed TEN DAYS before our travel date - and they wouldn't do it. We were unable to get one of the passport documents for one of our travelers, and said, "Sorry, you should have had that together before you booked with us." DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY FOR TRIP INSURANCE.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

We had a trip scheduled to Turks and Caicos and were departing on Memorial Day. I woke up with the stomach bug but still ventured to the airport with my children in hopes that I could at least get on the plane and sleep. Once we got to the airport, we checked in. My husband and I both had passport books but we had opted to get passport cards (which require the exact same identification to apply as passport books) for our kids since theirs had both just expired and they were just shy of being 16 where the passport books would last ten years. Unfortunately, we found out at check in that passport cards were not anything but a second form of identification. They weren't even valid for air travel.

I got on the phone immediately with TripMate but due to the early hours and it being Memorial Day, our call was received by an answering service. I explained both my illness and the passport situation and was told that I would have to call back. I was so sick that I just went home and went to bed. The following morning, I got on the phone with a TripMate advisor who was super friendly. I explained both of our mishaps and he told me that I should fill out a claim under the category of Cancel for Any Reason. Unfortunately, I was NOT told on my initial call that I should go straight to the doctor to get a note to qualify for medical coverage. And who really wants to go see a doctor when they are vomiting with diarrhea.

I just wanted to go home and go to bed since we obviously weren't getting on the plane. The service and communication were slow but we did just receive a letter that said that our claim was denied. Apparently, "Cancel for Any Reason", really means that you must qualify for one of their extreme non-medical causes which are as likely to occur as an airplane crash or shark attack. And, all we wanted was the penalty fees and change fees for a new date to be covered which was only a small percentage of our entire trip. Denied! Please, what's the point of having trip insurance if you have to fall into a few select categories to get covered. I would NEVER use this company!!! This coverage is a joke! And if you do use ANY travel insurance, get a list of what reasons are actually covered. It may not be worth the extra money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

This company "MUST" be closed down. After many attempts to resolve our claim we came to the conclusion that The Trip Mate, Inc. located at 9225 Ward Parkway. Ste. 200, Kansas City, MO., is a FRAUDULENT COMPANY. After providing them with everything that they have asked for and many months of sending letters and calling both Trip Mate and Metro Rail Company in Athens, Greece, we have yet to resolve our claim. This has to be "illegal" to allow a company to take advantage of trusting consumers this way. Warning... Warning... Do not use this company or any company that would used or recommend this company as your travel insurance provider. After eleven attempts... I am now reaching out for help. Consumer Affairs I hope that your company will truly investigate and put a stop this fraudulent company that has taken advantage of so many consumers.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Terrible experience. Many phone calls, ridiculously long hold times and my valid claim was denied. The sales process is fraudulent. At the time of purchasing tickets, I told the Expedia agent that I was not yet sure of the date my son would have to report to the Cadet program and was assured that if I bought the insurance and he had to report during the dates of the trip, the cancellation would be covered. It was not covered and after filing a claim (which they don't make easy) and spending over 2 hours on the phone with them today, I was told there is nothing they can do -- that the policy doesn't cover what the Expedia agent promised it would. So I'm out the $86 I paid for the insurance and the $1200 cost of the tickets. This insurance is a SCAM and sold as a NECESSITY. That's fraud and taking advantage of consumers. DO NOT BUY THEIR CRAPPY INSURANCE THAT DOESN'T INSURE ANY REAL LIFE SITUATIONS.

Original review: July 26, 2018

My mom purchased Trip Mate travel insurance for a Globus tour. She is 87 years old and wanted to be covered in case she got sick or had an accident. The first day of the trip she fell and broke her hip. Fortunately, she was traveling with her daughters. One of her daughters stayed with her since it would have been very traumatic to leave her alone in a hospital in a foreign country. It also was necessary to have an advocate there to help with medical decisions while she was taking pain meds due to the injury and surgery. We contacted Trip Mate Insurance several times before finally reaching someone and were told that insurance would not cover expenses for an advocate to stay with her. She should have been able to take care of herself, call the insurance and deal with all of the paperwork on her own despite having had a traumatic injury and surgery as well as all of the complications accompanying it.

Considering it has been a lot of work for a healthy person to deal with, I can't imagine what would have happened had she been traveling alone. My sister dealing with the representatives has been very upset by their condescending attitude and way that she has been treated. At this point in the game, my mom is waiting to travel back home, but it will take a nurse 3 days to travel to the country she is in and an additional day of rest before she can travel with my mom. I am not sure why they don't have local nurses in each country they insure so that patients don't have to wait an extra 4 days after all the paperwork is filled out, approved, etc just to get home. This has been a very frustrating and eye-opening experience. I will ask a lot of questions if I ever purchase travel insurance in the future.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I planned a family trip to Cabo San Lucas for Thanksgiving week 2017. Included was my 14 yr old great niece. At the time of applying for passports, I learned that she would need written consent from her mother for my nephew to take her out of the country. Parents are divorced with shared custody and, when planning the trip initially, the mother had no problem giving consent. I provided her with a form with detailed instructions attached but she kept stalling and I had to cancel the trip before cancellation date. I had paid $8,279 in airfare for 7 people. Not wanting to disappoint the family, I booked a cruise instead. The Mexico trip was booked through Pleasant Holidays which also included trip insurance.

On June 1, 2018 I filed a claim with Trip Mate. On July 2, 2018 I received a letter of denial due to not meeting the 15 reasons under the "Cancellation Penalty Waiver" which has no provisions for domestic issues. However, because I am "eligible for benefits under the travel supplier's Enhanced Cancel for any Reason Penalty Waiver" I was sent 7 certificates in the amount of $888.00 to each traveler. Since I paid for the trip, I included a waiver from the 6 family members certifying they had to claim to any refund. Additionally, the certificates can only be used for bookings through Pleasant holidays, are not redeemable for cash and not transferable with a use by date limit. I intend to contact the Missouri Insurance Commissioner and am considering filing a class action suit.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I booked a trip through CheapOair, on 4/3/2018. My husband was killed in a construction accident 10 hours after booking. I filed a claim and sent an original death certificate. 70 Days later and after numerous calls (due to high call volume we cannot take your call and we will call back), I was denied the claim. I will be hiring a lawyer to resolve this issue.

Original review: July 17, 2018

After filing a claim in April 25th with their normal processing time 50-60 days I haven't got my refund back. Today is July 17th, I call every two weeks and get nothing but a fake lousy promises. Asia promised for my claim to be next in line and the check to be send next week (that call was made on May 15th). No check! Bunch of liars. Need to give everybody's money back and close their little scam firm.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Worst insurance ever. I bought their travel insurance several times and I never had to use it, finally I got sick and I had to pay for doctors. I sent a claim in April and several times they sent me emails that they would not cover it because it was medical and I had to use my insurance. I am self employed and I do not have insurance. I told them that and still do not want to pay. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY WITH THIS COMPANY!

Original review: July 12, 2018

My parents purchased travel insurance as my mother had been treated for cancer and since then, had worried about getting sick again. 2 weeks before the trip, she developed terrible back pain and was diagnosed with a fracture of her vertebrae. She canceled the trip because she was unable to move due to the fracture and the pain. She then filed a claim with TRIP MATE as their trip cost $7000. We filled out all the paperwork, and her doctors filled out their forms as well. She was denied after a good 2 months of waiting because they said it was a pre-existing condition. It was later determined to be Mets to her spine which caused the fracture. Claim Denied. Unbelievable!

Apparently, the fine print tells you they cover pretty much nothing! I imagine a heart attack would be considered a pre-existing condition because the person had high cholesterol??? It’s just shameful to me, that a company can take such advantage of people. There is no phone communication at all and I wonder if they even have a staff??? Disgusting business and I believe it to be a sham operation. Are there any lawyers wanting to take on a class action lawsuit against this company and the industry as a whole? I think TRIP MATE should pay up. My mom passed away a month ago and my dad is out $7000. It is so sad to me that Trip Mate gets away with this...

Original review: July 11, 2018

Last September my daughter got a Traumatic Brain Injury and was in a coma for over 2 weeks. We were scheduled to go to Laos to my other daughter's wedding in December. My injured daughter needed long term care and it became clear I would have to miss my daughter's wedding. I'd sent my claim in on Dec. 17th with all supporting medical and air travel documentation. I spent $1,132.96 on the ticket. They sent me an email check today 7/10/2018 for $383.05. This # is random and doesn't correspond to the price of anything. The claims examiner's name is A. **. The customer service woman "Victoria" suggested I send an appeal resubmitting the documentation despite her confirmation that she was looking at it right now and saw the amount being claimed. So this I will do.

Original review: July 7, 2018

My wife and I were planning a trip to Cancun, Mexico in May. Unfortunately, my wife passed away on March 10. I contacted Trip Mate a week after her death and filed a claim. Once I received the death certificate I sent it to the claims rep. Three months and MANY phone calls later, I’ve yet to receive a refund. This company is a complete joke! Do NOT buy travel insurance from this place! You’re better off taking your chances.

Original review: July 3, 2018

My daughter was to travel to Japan with her school for March break. The school Board cancelled the trip due to North Korea and its proximity to Japan. I filed the paperwork the end of November 2017. I finally got my money the end of June 2018. 7 months to get a refund!!! The most inefficient company I have ever dealt with. They kept telling me that there was a computer error and that it closed my claim, not once, but twice!!! Horrible company to deal with!!!

Original review: July 2, 2018

The company Trip Mate is a true customer nightmare, provide false information and the most frustrating experience I ever had with a travel insurance company. It was offer to me via CheapOair as a reliable travel insurance. But three months past the incident I still haven't received my payment. Trip Mate uses strategies such as losing emails and claiming of non-receipt to a secondary email address plus suddenly sending postal communication to delay the process, not pay and drive the customer nuts.

Within the process, they contradict themselves, stating over the phone they did receive the documents months ago and simply need more time to process. They also claim to put in a rush order and respond ASAP which then does not happen. Their hotlines claims for the past 3 months "it is experiencing an unusual high call volume". Then they pretend they will call you back. But these calls are set up to remain silent, meaning you will miss them but they appear on your missed call list. Over the phone they make false statements and contradict themselves. CheapOair should not be offering any further insurances with them, as they clearly attempt to fraud the customer by providing false information and delaying payment.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I must say that I wish I had read all of these reviews when booking my trip! I am in the same boat as everyone you see here. I created a Consumer Affairs account just so I can write this review! My husband and I booked a trip to the Atlantis in the Bahamas, it was booked right from the Atlantis website and Trip Mate was offered right there. Having two kids and booking as far in advance as we did, we chose to go with the insurance. We were celebrating 20 years of marriage and our son's impending high school graduation. The week finally arrived for my family of 4 to go on this awaited trip and what happens? A huge snow storm! It was set to arrive the day we were set to leave.

Originally we were supposed to leave on a Wednesday. The Monday prior, our airlines cancelled our flight...we then got on a flight for Tuesday (having to book an additional night at the Atlantis). Tuesday morning arrives, our flight was cancelled again...only to now be booked on a Thursday flight. Now our missing TWO NIGHTS at the Atlantis, that's over 1K loss. Upon returning home, I filed a claim with Trip Mate on March 31, 2018. Today is June 28, 2018 and I am STILL waiting! I have called several times, always being told that my claim is still being looked into. The last time I was told that part of my claim was denied, but they should be making a decision within days for the other part, that was May 20, 2018.

I called again last night (always getting put on a call back list), today they call back and while they are nice, I was put on hold for over 10 minutes so she can find out what was going on...only to be disconnected. I am now on another call back list. This is 3 months now! I fall within the guidelines...we had a major snowstorm here in Jersey in the middle of March, it was out of our control. I will NEVER use Trip Mate again and may never even bother with insurance again for that matter!

Original review: June 23, 2018

Sent a fax in May for voucher refund with a cover letter indicating sending only 2 pages per instructions given. A month later no correspondence & told when I called that I had not sent all the information. The saga continues with no voucher which is needed by June 25th for final payment for trip in September. Have made numerous calls & latest called back was to happen on June 20th. No callback. Very frustrated.

Original review: June 22, 2018

We paid for the premium Trip Mate insurance recommended by Viking in their travel brochure to protect our investment in a Viking Cruise of the Caribbean in January 2018. We were unable to make the cruise through no fault of our own as we were stranded in Newark due to plane delays and were unable to board the cruise at San Juan, Puerto Rico. We submitted the extensive documentation required to validate the claim and waited 6 months for their final response. They paid only $6000 on a $13,943 claim that was the fully documented price for the cruise and air travel. Trip Mate reimbursement was based on the wholesale room rate of $600/night for 10 nights. What kind of insurance is that! Of course Viking has provided no support at any phase of this fiasco. Save your money and invest in a quality vacation provider - not Viking and certainly never use Trip Mate.

Original review: June 18, 2018

My wife and traveled to Italy with a tour company. We purchased travel insurance from Trip Mate $998.00. When returning home from Italy there was a pilot strike in Paris. We were stuck in Paris for three days. I submitted a travel request online April 19, 2018. On their website the claim shows it was received as of April 19, 2018. I called Trip Mate on June 5, 2018 to check the status of my claim. I was on hold for a long time so I decided to request the automatic call back. I received a callback. I was told that they were behind in processing claims and to call back in two weeks. I called June 18, 2018. Again I was on hold a long time and requested a callback. I received a callback and was told all of my claim was in order but it still could take 2 to 3 more weeks! That will make it almost 3 months! Do not use Trip Mate for travel insurance!

Original review: June 17, 2018

After several months of hard work, we finally received our vouchers from TripMate for a Viking cruise we could not take due to my sister's sudden death. Why Viking are linked with such an organization is beyond me. If we hadn't assiduously called TripMate every day and questioned their every move, we would still be waiting for our FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS. My advice to anyone working with Viking is (a) book your own travel insurance and (b) make a thorough nuisance of yourself until you get paid. TripMate gave false information to us so many times that we were getting ready to go and sit in their offices in Missouri until the vouchers were produced. Viking were no help whatsoever and said they could do nothing. As it was, the vouchers were 'printed' on May 16 and finally arrived in our mailbox on June 12. Really?

Original review: June 15, 2018

I bought airline tickets and hotel for a trip to Puerto Rico in August 2017 for a travel date of Dec 2017. Got travel insurance in Sept 2017. In Oct 2017 after Hurricane Maria the hotel contacted me and told me they could not honor the reservation because of damage. I put in a claim for the airline tickets. Trip Mate said, the insurance is for 24 hours from travel date. They will not pay the claim. So no insurance. If they know there is a hurricane and you can't go, why sell me the policy in the first place. I don't know if there is a better company but don't use this one. They won't pay.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I was unable to travel due to an illness. I completed all the required documentation and saw my doctor who did the same. It has been 6 weeks since a claim was filed with Trip Mate and they have no information online about my claim!!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

A flight reservation was made, on April 18, through my debit card, in where this travel insurance was also purchased. Paid 236.86 plus 14.95 for the insurance. Canceled on May 2nd, due to her needing emergency room assistance. Sent paperwork. Afterward also sent a court paper that had come in during this time where she would have to attend another court appearance we had not been aware of. All of these things were sent and I called on 05/25/18 to check status. I was told it was still being reviewed. I have called several times since, as I have heard nothing.

They promise to call back via auto voice and will not allow waiting for someone to answer my call. We have met all criteria to be able to get a refund. All we are told is an e-check will be sent if we are approved for one. The Better Business Bureau has 8 positive reviews and 56 negative with this company. Yet it receives 3.4 stars with them... I see my complaint is similar to many others. This company needs to shape up or shut down! Warning to anyone who buys travel insurance with an airline, pay close attention; it would be better to buy a more expensive ticket than to choose a ticket with this company as a travel insurance carrier!

Original review: June 11, 2018

It's been 3 months and still I am not able to talk to any of the representatives. Makes me to wait for 30 minutes, then disconnects and informs of a callback. They will do a voice mail, for which when we call back it will loop back to same scenario of waiting 30 minutes and information about callback. Even after submitting all the documentations they are hiding somewhere to avoid refunding. I WILL NEVER EVER GO WITH THESE GUYS IN FUTURE.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Paid Trip Mate Insurance OVER $1,400 for cruise protection plan. Due to unexpected financial responsibilities which will extend over an undetermined period of time, we are not going to do the cruise. Trip Mate will NOT refund any of this payment (even after calling and explaining this problem... Many!!! Times.) Please!!! Find another company for your travel protection...

Original review: June 9, 2018

The flight for my wife and I to the Philippines was cancelled in September 17 due to hurricane Irma. In addition my return flight had to be cancelled as I fell down a flight of stairs and broke two ribs and a collapsed lung and had to rehab prior to returning to the states. Filed initial claim with Trip Mate in September and second in October. It is now June and operators can only say it is under review and they would expedite processing. 9 MONTHS! Unbelievable. When I call I only get excuses... I want my money...I paid for the insurance!

Original review: June 8, 2018

2016 I booked a trip with Vantage Travel and Trip Mate. Due to broken arm had to cancel trip. Vantage Travel returned my money. Tripmate did not. I have tried for 2 years to receive my money no response. Don't answer phones, reply to emails is always working on it, Replies to correspondence is always working on it. I have submitted 2 medical Drs reports and many letters from me simply telling them how easy it is to pay my refund. No response and no money. How come Vantage Travel can refund very quickly and Trip Mate cannot and keeps our money?

Original review: June 4, 2018

My 94 yo Dad wanted to go to Germany on a river cruise with Grand Circle Tours. We booked a year in advance. That year he was ill and then continued to have breathing issues that we were continually going to the Dr for. We cancelled our trip in Nov, prior to the Dec 2 departure. Given his declining health and I was the only caregiver, I did not process the refund request until Feb. I was asked to provide Dr info/form, even tho we were told that you could literally cancel for ANY reason, even if you just change your mind.

I never heard from anyone and I wrote and called threatening legal action. I received a call/email telling me that it was in process. I just received yet another request for another Dr form. I pulled up these complaints with people providing several documents and still not receiving their refunds. THIS IS RIDULOUS. We are owed over $7,000! How does this continue to happen to people. I will be contacting the Attorney General, but I should not have to go to these lengths, given the many, many complaints! This is a fraudulent company!!! As I've read - RUN, DON'T WALK AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY - and Grand Circle Tours, if they are OK with this treatment of their customers!!!!

Not sure about Trip Mate Insurance?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Travel Insurance for you.

Trip Mate Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.

• 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.

• Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.

• 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.

• Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.

• Best for: Party animals, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

Kansas City
    MO
    www.tripmate.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business