2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.36/5

Trip Mate Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: April 18, 2021

My wife and I scheduled a flight to the Philippine islands. The govt restricted incoming flights, require a 14 day quarantine in a hotel of their choice. Mom in law traveling with us is restricted from leaving the home after quarantine. Only there for two weeks, not worth it. Trip Mate refused refund twice. CheapoAir came through and refunded us. Inflexible, hard to reach, will not refer for future to my family who travels a lot! Thank you CheapoAir!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I’ve been dealing WITH Trip Mate since March 2020. Till February 8th 2021 constant I might add. Anyway good news for you all (I do hope all). I ran into an acquaintance yesterday 2/10/2021. He said call the airline you were booked with. LO AND BEHOLD! I called United. 5 minute call and all was resolved!! You do not need to go through tripmate! The airline can see you never went on the flight and you have a credit with them. I hope this helps! Like I said. Wasted too many days/hours with trip mate. And resolved in 5 minutes. I’d love to know how you make out.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

2020, what a year, right? 2020 was the year we found out what everyone was made of. Politicians, people, and companies. My wife and I booked a trip to a Writers Conference in 2020. We booked it when Covid was just starting, but didn't seem like it was going to last through the entire year, and the trip was late in the year that we thought it would be good. So, for the first time, we decided to buy trip insurance. We looked it over, and it seemed like if something went wrong, we could fall on the insurance.

We were wrong. We booked through Priceline, and the "insurance" was through a place called Trip Mate through the Priceline website. Well, it turned out the conference was canceled. We were able to get our money back on the conference and the hotel we book. However, when we tried to submit a claim for airfare, which was a bit complicated to figure out how to do so, we were denied. The truth comes out. Trip Mate is a joke, their insurance company is a scam, and they will not give you your money back. I'm extremely disappointed in the company, and disappointed with Priceline for recommending them. I plan to NEVER use Priceline or Trip Mate ever again, and will tell everyone to avoid them. 0/5 Stars. Everyone avoid. It is a SCAM!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

TripMate deserves zero stars. Customer service is absolutely inexistent, they will not refund your money. Coronavirus has exposed its shady scheme. I submitted a claim in March 2020 and it's been 10 months without any response. They have to pay for this.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

This is my third time booking a trip with the Trip Mate I am canceling my son's trip because Explorica is not sure if they’re even going to go on the trip on the schedule date. My son has to be at his military training three days after he returns, due to the pandemic I’m not sure if he would have to quarantine when he gets back or if he goes to Spain or France if they will detain the travelers and he might not make it back on time. I purchased the travel cancel for any reason insurance all three times. They are not giving me my full refund because they said it’s not a covered reason. This is cancel for any reason...Somebody need investigate this company because they are tricking travelers into purchasing this fraudulent insurance. Brad Finkle is a the ambassador/CEO.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

If there were zero stars that's what I would rate that. We are in the midst of a GLOBAL PANDEMIC. We obviously booked our trip not knowing this would be an issue. We had to cancel since we are not able to meet the quarantine requirements and TripMate is not issuing any refund. Horrible customer service and STEALING money.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2021

My wife and I cancelled a trip in March of 2020 due to Covid risk to our health. (The trip organizer actually cancelled 2 days later.) We filed a claim. They do not answer the phone, so your only source of information is an online claim status system. Nothing happened for months and then the status system said they had sent a request for more information. We finally got it over a month later. Then they decided against us before receiving our information response. Then the online status said they had sent a letter of explanation. Never received until I repeatedly asked them to resend. Now they have denied us again, said they sent a letter of explanation, and almost a month later, we still do not have it.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

While traveling oversea two months ago. I subscribed a travel policy insurance with this company. My flight was delayed for two consecutive days leaving the USA.. I finally traveled and went back in the USA.. I contacted them and was asked to submit all details of my delayed trip which I did. After 10 days they wrote to me and asking me to write to the airlines company so they can justify to them why their aircraft didn't travel during the two days. (After numerous emails exchange with the airlines company that I sent to them) they refused to compensate me.

The so-called examiners of Trip mate aren't doing anything to investigate your claim.. Just buying time to pretend that they are working on your claim. Learn from my experience with this CON-TRAVEL INSURANCE COMPANY called TRIP MATE and Stay away from it. I am preventing you to be their next victim. Do yourself a favor. Find another insurance travel company.... I wish this review had less than one star because they deserve NOTHING.. I am also writing to BBB about this company..

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

Our first big purchase and investment that we dreamed of for our 15th anniversary vacation. We purchased the vacation insurance with the recommendation of Sandals Resort. Sandals resort I have no quarrel with, they returned all money that was given to them in advance because that’s what a real company does when a consumer doesn’t use a product or wants to return something that isn’t received, or used. $3,500 was spent on airplane tickets that we haven’t received or used in any way because we canceled the trip due to my injury back in March. I haven’t worked since. I have been on crutches and in a cast for three times. I just had surgery at the beginning of September and now I’ll be in cast till the end of September.

Our vacation was set for 9/3/20. I’ll be rehabbing till the end of the 2020 year and won’t get back to work till 2021. With all that time lost on the job we won’t be going on vacation for another couple of years. I have looked this company up online and see all kinds of complaints due to the coronavirus travel restrictions and everyone cancelled their vacations. Why haven’t they got in trouble for fraudulent business practices? Why are they getting away taking people’s hard earned money and nothing’s being done about it. So many complaints and no compliments. Shut them down! Selling a product and using loopholes to ripoff the consumers is not how business should be done.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I sent in all the info from my electrocardiologist that I needed to have an ablation, my heart was beating 180 beats pr min; dr said I need to have procedure done so I cancelled my trip, sent in all the info and am still waiting for a refund 520.00. This is since Mar 2020. This is how many months that I have been waiting 7 months and I believe this is unacceptable..Why would I encourage anyone to purchase ins if we have to continue to call them and ask where and when I will see my claim processed. I believe that you would also feel that 7 months is a very long time to have this issue resolved.

Trip Mate Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.

• 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.

• Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.

• 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.

• Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor