1.36/5

Looking for travel insurance?

421 Trip Mate Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 22, 2019

We went on a family vacation in early March of 2019. We traveled by Norwegian Air on an overseas trip. Midway through our trip, every country grounded Boeing 737 Max 8 airliners. Our return trip was to be on one of those jets and so our return flight was altered. Two of our group were rerouted to fly out of London rather than Edinburgh and were to fly into JFK rather that Stewart (where our car was parked). Two were only rerouted to JFK. (Same problem) Although the airline agreed to provide vouchers for hotel and food, they did not provide the ground transportation to London from Edinburgh nor did they provide the transportation necessary to get from JFK to Stewart to retrieve our cars.

We submitted documentation to Trip Mate for those expenses and were told that this trip interruption was not a covered expense. If not this, what WOULD be a covered expense?! Well, things like hijackings, medical emergencies, ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE! The things that they DO cover are so unlikely as to be ridiculous. Never again for us!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I am planning a trip to Patagonia with BackRoads Travel Company and unfortunately, they work together with Trip Mate for Travel Insurance. The reason I am VERY skeptical to use Trip Mate again, is because in July of 2015, I was invited by family on a Viking Cruise. Our tickets were purchased, along with a Travel Insurance with Trip Mate. However, my back was injured at work and I could not go on the Viking Cruise. I sent all the necessary documents that were required and after 4 months, they denied me $400.00 that were due me. I was livid and swore to myself, I would never use Trip Mate again. I am shocked and disappointed that BackRoads recommends them.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Worth every penny. Filed claim forms online, received the refund in less than 30 days. I see lots of bad reviews, but my experience was a good one. Just fill out the forms completely and submit. It's easy to monitor the progress of the claim online.

Original review: April 10, 2019

We had to cancel our Globus tour to France this month due to a traveling companion's illness and had to process our Trip Mate claim. I made sure I included all the documentation required. I did follow up with them via phone, using their call back service. The called back within an hour or so. I had read all of these horrendous reviews and figured we'd never get our money back. Wow, was I was surprised! We received a full refund within 30 days of filing the claim! Pleased and relieved.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I have purchased TripMate insurance through either Grand Circle or Overseas Adventure Travel on seven different occasions. On my last adventure, I broke a rib and it took me three days to get medical care overseas. I collected all of the appropriate documentation and brought it home with me. I filed a claim for about $550.00 on Jan. 30. TM acknowledged receipt online, but neglected to send me an email. You can't really call them, but their Call Back service does work.

Their eventual response was to ask me to file with my healthcare provider at home. But if you had Medicare or TriCare, then they wanted Contact information. I sent that, and they still wanted me to file with my healthcare provider (I have a Senior Medicare Advantage Plan).

So I called my SMAP, went ahead and filed, and actually got paid in about two weeks or so, minus a $50.20 Co-Pay. I provided all this info to TripMate, so am still waiting for them to cough up this small amount. You really only need Emergency Healthcare overseas and you will always pay out of your own pocket in advance. So whether TripMate provides a real service or not is hard to judge. The jury is still out, as far as I'm concerned.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: March 26, 2019

Go with another company. I snapped my ACL first day on a 7-day Indonesian island boat tour. No reimbursement of the trip in any way. Excuses Excuses Excuses... It's a waste of money. They don't provide any service except to collect your money. If I could give negative stars I would.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Never buy anything from this company. They are bunch of liars, non professionals, I don’t know how they are in business. I always buy trip insurance but never used it, until now and this is worst nightmare, so I purchased ticket for my mother and I bought insurance just in case, she went to our for vacation. Everything was fine, she was fine and healthy. But one day she went to the doctor for regular check up because it’s very cheaper compare to the USA, so she got diagnosed thyroid cancer and she needed a s surgery ASAP. So we rescheduled the flight. After everything finished and my mother returned in usa we filed claim to get something from them, since it was flight interaction and we had serious reasons for it. We provided everything possible every documentation, OMG how much documentation they asked it was crazy but we did. It’s been 7 months and they still reviewing our case. THIS COMPANY IS TRASH. Never buy anything!

Original review: March 23, 2019

In January of this year we had to cancel a July Paris cruise due to health reasons. We submitted our Claim mid January and the Dr. submitted on Jan. 25th. Our Claim was well documented and complete, we received no requests for additional information. Our payments arrived on March 16th and 18th. While responses to my email questions were not same day, we were more than delighted to receive our checks in 2 months. We would recommend this company!

Original review: March 13, 2019

I purchased travel insurance from them and my trip got delayed and got my suitcase damaged. They are very slow, and requested me same document over and over again. My travel was last summer but now in March, they still requesting me to submit same supporting documents! Not solved yet! It is wasting money and time. I strongly recommend not to buy this company's insurance.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Their default position seems to be to deny every claim that comes in and then avoid any call to question this. They have zero interest in dealing with customers or actually providing any actual services. They have zero accountability, zero follow-up/through, and zero class.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I had a very simple claim, lost nights at a pre-paid hotel (Sandals) due to an emergency evacuation caused by weather. Trip Mate would not pay! I had countless follow-ups over a nine-month period. Finally, I had enough, and I asked my state insurance commissioner to intervene. Then, and only then, did I get my money and an explanation. It was not pretty. Their log on claims processing had three-pages of single-spaced type on all the steps they took, including multiple failed attempts to address my concerns. They logged everything, and it reeked of gross incompetence. The log proved that my initial submission was perfectly documented and that they easily verified the loss. The only good thing I can say is I got a letter of apology, but I suspect they wrote it so the insurance commissioner would read his copy. They not want him to revoke their license, which is what I had recommended. This is HORRIBLE company! Find another one.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Purchased the insurance when we purchased our Backroads bicycling tour to Italy for MAY of 2018. My luggage was lost for three days and my husband’s was lost for a week. Filed the claim when we returned in MAY 2018. It’s now MARCH 2019 and we still aren’t resolved. Every communication is initiated by me. They say they will expedite my claim, but don’t. I’m now in the appeal process because after my husband’s luggage was missing for a week, they will only pay $178.

DON’T WASTE YOUR MONEY. The Backroads trip was excellent, but I am concerned that such a company would affiliate themselves with such a horrible partner.

Original review: March 7, 2019

This is the absolute worst company ever. Don’t know how they sleep at night. Had a family vacation booked to Turks and Caicos with my children and parents. A few months before the trip my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. The doctors started her on treatment and were hopeful she would be able to take this vacation. As the trip was approaching in December the doctors informed us her cancer had spread and she would not be able to go. Trip Mate refuses our claim because they said she should have known she couldn’t go!!! Are you kidding me? We are hiring an attorney and will pursue this claim. Please don’t ever pay for this this insurance!!!

Original review: March 6, 2019

I purchased Trip Mate Insurance for my daughter's summer teen trip. Her trip got interrupted due to health reasons. Timely submitted claim on and provided all supporting documents in July 2018. Finally without notice, I visited the website to check the claim status and it was denied with NO notice to my family. Biggest waste of money ever! I always knew travel insurance would be a scam.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I purchased travel insurance through this company for a 21 day cruise I took to Cuba. I went with Trip Mate because it was endorsed by the cruise line. I had never purchased insurance through them before. I shouldn't have this time. Travel insurance is expensive. I figured it would be worth it if I ever needed it. I needed it on this trip. My husband died in Cuba. His death forced me to cancel numerous non refundable reservations and cost me some medical bills.

Trip Mate has made putting in a claim nearly impossible with the amount of documentation they require and the number of things they don't cover. I lost my husband on this cruise and Trip Mate is doing everything in their power to keep from paying me what I got the insurance for in the first place. I've never dealt with a company that cares so little about customers as this company. I'm still fighting them over items I've claimed. In the market for travel insurance, I highly recommend you go somewhere else.

Original review: March 1, 2019

This company is more concerned with getting out of covering you than they are of working to cover you in a timely matter. Never, ever, ever purchase travel insurance, and run far away if that travel insurance is through Trip Mate. This company is nothing but a racket.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

My mom, sisters, and I purchased this insurance for our dream vacation. Due to weather we had delays then were stuck in the wrong country for 3 days. After months of providing proof my 2 sisters and mother were awarded a portion of our missed days of our trip, paid hotels, and tours. My claim was denied! No explanation! Our trip was in July 2018, I am still fighting for some form of payment. The BBB will be getting a complaint.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

We missed our flight to Montego Bay Jamaica due to no fault of our own. When we arrived at Sandals Ochi we asked about the insurance because we booked through them, they told us we had to contact Trip Mate and we did. Well after a 2 month review they denied us stating that we needed to miss our flight by 3 hours minimum! That is ridiculous at best and a waste of our money! Even if it only costs you $1 save yourself the money because this insurance is worthless and not worth a penny! To add insult to injury it took them 2 months to come up with this excuse!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My granddaughter and I were to travel to London in December 2018. In mid-September, I fell and had multiple fractures in the bones of my foot and torn ligaments. My doctor would not release me to travel because I was at high risk for blood clots because my foot was immobilized. I filed my paperwork on December 7, 2018. I have followed my claim online and it was confirmed. Reserve appeared to be set aside. Then information was requested from my travel supplier again. When I called to ask AGAIN what was going on, I was told it was in review and they could not tell me what or why, nor could I talk to a reviewer.

I checked tonight. It is now denied and it shows that I was contacted this morning. No one contacted me. I am fuming. I was finally discharged from therapy on January 31, 2019. My doctor still hasn’t released me. The doctor completed their required claim form, included the MRI report and wrote a letter. What could be their possible reason? I will be contacting the Ohio Department of Insurance, the Attorney General’s office and my attorney if needed. This is insurance fraud on their part.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Purchased Trip Mate when booking a two week Viking ocean cruise. On October the 26th, on the 8th day of the cruise, my Father suffered a heart attack while on the island of Curacao. That was the first time I read the reviews online regarding Trip Mate and Was very concerned having read all the negative reviews and was ready to go to war with Viking Cruises and Trip Mate. I was asked to keep an open mind and was assured that the claim would be handled fairly and in a timely manner.

The first four days passed without any issues. All the claim forms were provided via email almost immediately and per the treating physicians advice, my father was flown back to the US in first class with a nurse that Trip Mate flew to the Island of Curacao to meet him and to accompany him the entire way. I have to add that They were also prepared to fly him via private air ambulance jet should he require that level of support prior to his condition improving on the third and fourth day. During that same time my mother incurred hotel and other trip delay costs as well. All the costs of the repatriation were paid for without any issue directly and upfront by Trip Mate. To my surprise, so far so good. I have to add that to this point all calls were answered quickly and I received polite, friendly and concerned service. I was still surprised having read all the negative reviews.

Once back in the US I reviewed carefully the claim form. I had to wait over 30 days for St. Elisabeth hospital in Curacao to provide all the final invoices and for Viking cruises to do so as well. Once I gathered all the invoices and receipts and submitted all the information to Trip Mate including the original receipts for the cruise, costs incurred by my mother for hotel stay and food and all the Medical bills and medical reports, I submitted everything online with PDF copies of all the documents. I received confirmation of the received documents via Email within 12 hours and was able to confirm this online as well via a claim portal. I also called to confirm that everything was received and again received courteous, accurate and prompt service.

After a few weeks I could see online that the trip interruption and travel delay claims were processed and that a three payments for the FULL claimed amounts were processed. Again, I have to say that I was shocked given the bad reviews. About a week later I received all three checks. As for the medical reimbursement, I was refunded 90% of the cost by my own health insurance. Trip Mate advised that once I receive an explanation of benefits from my primary insurance policy that they would then finalize the medical portion claim.

To date, I've had ZERO complaints or issues with Trip Mate. I was surprised initially that Viking Cruises would use such a "shady Company" (based on the negative reviews of course). Turns out that they are not shady at all. I cannot explain all the negative reviews but felt compelled to share my own experience. All I can say is that I did provide a very detailed claim form with every piece of information requested. Having said this, given my experience with Trip Mate so far, I would highly recommend using Trip Mate. At least with a Viking Cruise... This was one of the easiest insurance claims experiences I ever had. Zero complaints. Everything was handled professionally and quickly.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Have contacted TripMate 31 times since 11-7-2018 and it is now 3-7-2019. When I call the person answering the phone tells you that they will note your call but they cannot pick up the phone and talk to the "claims" section to find out the progress of your claim. What is happening is this company is just "shuffling" paper back and forth and hopes that you will get frustrated with the wait and "gives up". In my case this saves them $1,200.00. Viking should not deal with this company - in fact - no one should deal with this company.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Never left a review before but I figured losing out on $800 warranted one. Filed my claim weeks before I was scheduled out. Did all the paperwork. Followed up by checking the “status” everyday and even called once and they said I had to atleast give them 30 days before they could give me an update. Well over a month later, checked the website, never updated anything from the day I filed the claim and then received a random letter saying it was denied after they said a couple days prior that they couldn’t update me... Horrible. I feel like they deny everyone. Worst insurance ever!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I submitted a claim in July 2018 and it has still not been settled. I have called the company more than a dozen times and have never been able to speak with a representative live. I always have to leave a number for a callback. When someone does call back, they have no idea what is going on with my claim. I am beyond frustrated. Do not recommend or use this company!!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Me and my fiance were scheduled to get married in March and follow it with a honeymoon trip to Germany. I bought round trip tickets for both of us as well as the suggested trip protection on the site for the trip in the event something were to happen and it had to be cancelled. Unfortunately, my fiance and I broke up and are no longer getting married. I have submitted all the documents that were requested for claiming a D refund and has been denied by email as well as supervisor and management. They state that no one can overturn the claim and there is absolutely nothing that can be done. Tickets aren't even transferable so now I have lost out on $1400 even though I purchased the suggested trip protection just in case an event like this would occur.

Completely useless and horrible company! I am in the process of working with my attorney to see what can be done and also going to the local news stations to make a segment out of it because apparently I'm not the only one that has been burned with this company with all of the terrible reviews online for them! Enraged customer, RICHARD **.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

No communication - never spoke with anyone from the company. Horrible experience. Do your research and go with another company. They send you no updates - you have to do all the legwork - wait times on the telephone is very long.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I paid $340.00 for travel insurance when I went to England in May. British Airways lost my luggage so the tour guide told me since I had insurance, I could spend up to $200 to get what I needed. I spent $97.00 on what I needed for a couple of days (socks, underwear, pj's and tee-shirts). I did get my luggage 3 days later. When I got home I put in a claim and it took 7 months of calling them constantly, asking them if they were a legitimate company and telling them that not one person had put in a good review for them. When I did get a check it was for $85.00. So, save your money, because it's not worth dealing with these people.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

We were on a Viking River Cruise in China (August 2018). The first night, my husband got food poisoning. The ship's doctor treated him for the remaining 6 days on the ship. We submitted our claim to Trip Mate who has stalled, requested additional information, denied, reopened and stalled some more. We still have not been paid and it is the end of January 2019! Ridiculous! Don't EVER use this company for travel insurance when there are so many others to chose from. This is who Viking recommends but purchase your insurance elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

We recently booked a trip on Viking for an April 2020 cruise. We put down a $1000 deposit and were encouraged by Viking to get travel insurance. Another $510 each. As the trip was fast approaching $10,000 in total, it sounded like a reasonable investment. How wrong we were. Long story short: Our daughter has advised us we need to be available in the Spring of 2020 for Grandparenting duties. Family first. So we canceled the trip with Viking. We were aware that there would be a cancellation fee of $100 x 2.

Fair enough. But despite never receiving any further information about the insurance -- no policy number, nothing in writing (we got lots from Viking), we were shocked to learn that the insurance fees were 100% NON-REFUNDABLE. It apparently says so in tiny type on the second page of an invoice where there's a link to a lengthy policy statement that says so. Along with a litany of other things they won't cover or do. but no one at Viking ever bothered to point this out. We simple expected Viking to be doing business with an insurance company as reputable as they try to be. How wrong we were.

On 1/24/19 we spoke with several people at Viking including Dee **, our original Viking contact; Viking Supervisor Cynthia ** and her boss, Drew **. They advised us with increasing inflexibility that, despite recognizing that there had been miscommunications and shortcomings on their end, there was nothing they could do. And, more important, nothing that they were willing to do. Not even try. In fact, they all emphatically defended TripMate and held it up as honorable. How wrong they are. So we are as shocked by Viking as we are with their partner, TripMate. They are obviously in bed together to wring as much money out of consumers as possible. Viking... You have spent millions to convince people like us that you run a class act. Your partner is a **. Sleep well.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

TripMate is fantastic - if you don't have any type of emergency or cancellation. I purchased insurance through TripMate for a month-long trip to Bhutan, India and Nepal. Just before our departure date my mother became ill and passed away. I had to cancel our trip one week before the departure date. I filed all of the required documentation with TripMate and they acknowledged receipt on 11/02/0218. It is now 01/24/2019 and I am still awaiting a refund of my money - approximately $17,000. I have called their customer service number several times and no one can explain to me what the issue is. I was told there was an "accounting problem" in December, but no one can tell me what the "problem" was.

This company is endorsed by OAT (Overseas Adventure Travel) so I hold them responsible as well. This is such a misappropriation of my money and a blatantly dishonest practice. How can a company take your money in 30 seconds but it takes over three months to return it? I've filed complaints with the State's Attorney's Office as well as the Better Business Bureau, and still no refund yet. It is totally unacceptable! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I purchased Trip Mate insurance through Overseas Adventure Travel for a trip to Bhutan and Nepal. Unfortunately, after the Bhutan leg ended and en route to Nepal, I had a serious fall and badly injured my leg. I was unable to walk and had to come home. I filed a fully documented "travel interruption" claim, complete with doctors' reports, tour leaders' statements and all financial documents related to trip costs as soon as I returned. This was mid-October of 2018. I began calling for status updates in mid-November. Call after call, phone cut-offs, vague blather from representatives. Finally, in late January I received an e-check for approximately $1500 LESS than it should have been. My experience, and those expressed by others in the reviews, should be a cautionary tale to anyone contemplating purchasing a policy from this company.

Trip Mate Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.

• 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.

• Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.

• 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.

• Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.

• Best for: Party animals, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky