1.17/5

Looking for travel insurance?

355 Trip Mate Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I purchased Trip Insurance for my 15 year wedding anniversary in June 2018. The insurance cost me $190 dollars. For a nearly $16,000, 7-night trip, I thought this was well worth it. Due to weather delays and flight cancellations we were unable to arrive at our resort on 6/18/2018, so we lost 1 day of our travel. No worries I have insurance... or so I thought.

I submitted a claim to Trip Mate on 7/4/18. Complete with Receipts, Itinerary, and all necessary documents, I asked Trip Mate to reimburse 1,852.31 of my expenses. I received a written request for additional information on 8/13/18. What they asked for was exactly what I sent the first time but somehow they wanted it again. I submitted and followed up on email on 8/14/18.

Still, no calls or communication from Tripmate other than the letter on 8/13/18 asking for more information, which is interesting since their own website says “if there is any problem with your claim, we will call you personally to discuss our concerns.” No one has ever called me personally, and when I did call I sat on hold for 15 minutes each time until the automated system took my number and asked for a time zone, then hung up.

Very interesting since the website also claims “customer service representatives will be available around the clock with average telephone hold times of less than one minute...” and as for the around the clock, that’s also a lie. If you call their number 800 number you will be told the times of their customer service. Also a lie is their phone automated system will tell you “Our goal processing time is 30-days since receipt”. As it has been 3 months since my initial claim and 2 months since my follow up claim, please do not be fooled by their timeline.

On 10/10/18 I reached out to my travel agent for assistance as I had still not heard anything. On 10/11/18 I missed the first ever call from TripMate. On 10/12/18, I finally received a call from Ryan **. Ryan informed me that my claim check was cut today for just over $300. I clarified with him and he informed me the number again. This was well below the $1,852.31 that I claimed. Ryan provided no reason for the $1,500 discrepancy. He did say it looks like they “forgot to add my Wife” to the claim. Odd since the paperwork sent in and on file in the claims status clearly shows my wife. Even so, if you double the check, there is still over $1,000 not covered.

When I asked if Ryan could confirm why there was a gap, he could not provide a line item breakdown of the payment. I then asked if I could resend him the same info from 8/14 for us to review together, which I did. I agreed there was a large difference in the dollar amount spent per day, and he offered to re-open a claim which could be reviewed in 2 weeks. I mentioned this was unacceptable and asked to speak to a supervisor. He then said there is no policy for supervisors to take phone calls from customers.

I then asked for the correct spelling of his name and his supervisor’s name so I could write my review, he all of the sudden said “let me see if I can get my supervisor.” Funny since 1 minute earlier there was no supervisor according to their policy. He put me on hold and proceeded to try and find Ashley ** who is the Customer Service Supervisor. Shockingly enough, Ashley was unavailable, but I have been told I will receive a call in 24-48 hours. In the meantime, according to Ryan, I am back in a 2 week holding pattern for TripMate to review the SAME INFORMATION that was sent in July, then again in August of this year.

This is completely unacceptable and does not reflect TripMate's Online Philosophy of “We value our relationships with our many partners: the insurance carriers that we represent, the travel organizations who distribute our products, and, most importantly, the individuals for whom we provide benefits and services.” I can assure you I do not feel valued.

I can’t stress enough that if you are searching for insurance for your next trip, please DO NOT CONSIDER TRIP MATE. You will regret your decision, as we do. PS… My call was fully recorded, including Ryan ** letting me know that he could not find any communication to us over the past few months even though they claim a 30 day response, so if there is any question about the above statements, I challenge Trip Mate to release the recording for review.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Had a claim on 07/23/2018. Still cannot get it settled! Get a runaround every time I call for a update. It has been in the review hands for Two months? Trying to get this resolved with 14 calls to the company.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I submitted the all documents, receipts by mail on 7/30, I didn't get any response for 1.5 month, then they send me email they need all my receipts again. This is awful company, I wish I review the consumers complaints before, they just don't want to pay you, unless you hire your attorney.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I always purchase travel insurance for long overseas trips and feel good about doing it. So I felt confident when, in June 2018, I had to cancel a trip to Africa due to illness. About a week before the scheduled departure, I filed a claim with Trip Mate. I don't mind the paperwork they require and was able to provide everything. My doctor sent a letter even before I could get my documents together, so no delay there. TM has what looks like a pretty efficient online claim site where you can see all activity so I could track receipt of all documents and communications and progress of the claim. After an initial flurry of entries, all activity ceased. No one ever answered the phone when I called - just a recording which explains that they were experiencing a high volume of claims and refers caller to the website.

I was willing to be patient, checking the website daily, but after 3 months, still unable to get a real person on the phone, I requested a call back from them. And I got one! The person I spoke with seemed surprised I hadn't received a check. He said it got stuck in the process and he would move it along and I should have a check by the end of the month. That was September. It is now October and still no check, although I can see it has been approved for payment. So at least I am hopeful that I may see a check eventually. I can't figure out if these people are dishonest or incompetent. They appear to drag their feet. I also am not sure, with all the bad experiences reported by customers, why the travel companies continue to use them. My advice, if you have filed a claim, is to be patient but persistent.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

While in the initial stages of filing a claim with Trip Mate, and based on the reviews I had read here, I was very concerned that we'd never see any of our money returned. In August of this year, my husband and I had to cancel a trip with Viking Cruises due to his sudden illness. We called Viking on the day we were supposed to depart for the trip, and I downloaded the claim forms from Trip Mate on the same day. My husband had seen the doctor about ten days prior to our departure date and was still not fit for travel. I read the insurance policy very carefully and followed all of the instructions to a tee. It took about two weeks to get all the documents together and signed by our physician. I kept copies of everything I submitted. I MAILED all documents (certified mail with return receipt service). Because of this, I was able to see exactly when Trip Mate received my documents and who signed for them.

I checked Trip Mate's website and it showed that they updated the claim status to reflect receipt of the documents, on the same day that the return receipt stated that they had been delivered. I continued checking the claim status online every few days, and after about two weeks, I called Trip Mate to inquire how much longer our refund might take. The rep informed me that the claim had been approved and sent to the accounting department. She told me to allow 5-10 business days for them to send me an electronic check. About 12 days after this, (and exactly 30 days after they received all my documents), I called to ask about the check. I experienced very long hold times (in excess of 15 minutes), but I selected a prompt to ask for an automatic return call. Literally 5 minutes after that, and without actually talking to a real live person, I received one of our checks in my email.

When I called immediately afterward to inquire about the whereabouts of the second check, I again experienced long hold times, but again requested a return call. Within ten minutes of that, I got a call back from a rep who explained that the second check went to my husband's email. Sure enough, there it was in his email. We deposited both checks with no problems, as a full reimbursement of our trip payment. From the beginning, Trip Mate stated HOW and WHEN everything would happen with our refund, and I must say, they followed through on their statements. My best advice is to read your policy very well, follow every single instruction, and keep a good document trail. I would have given five stars for our Trip Mate experience, but the month-long wait for the return of our money was a bit anxiety-provoking. Overall, I am very relieved and satisfied with our experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I took Trip Mate to cover a car rental on a trip to Barbados in July 2018 and unfortunately I had an accident that cost me US$5400.00. I immediately filed a claim with Trip Mate and to this date October 10th, 2018 I have had no resolution to the matter. Everytime I call the agent says give them another week. Yesterday they said give them two weeks. They promise a 30 day turnaround time but it is now almost 90 days. They never contact you to update you on the progress but tout their service like it's the best. I believe that it is a sham and I plan on filing a complaint with the American insurance regulators and then a lawsuit against Trip Mate and Fareportal if my claim is not settled by end of October 2018.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Wish I could give less than 1! The whole premise of TripMate's Insurance is that you are a liar, you are trying to extort money from them, and that you will finally give up on their "process" and just say forget it! Trip to Europe with my family (10 people). Flight delayed due to weather, had to stay overnight in Atlanta since we missed our connection to London. Lost our prepaid hotel, transfers, and train from London to Paris. Had to pay for a hotel in Atlanta and extra night in Paris. Upon returning home, started the claim "process". They want you to prove EVERYTHING beyond a reasonable doubt! You can't just send your receipts and original itinerary. They want to know the date you purchased their insurance policy! Really?!!

You also have to send your credit card statement showing you were actually charged for your expenses, in addition to all your receipts. And you need a letter from the airline showing how, when, and why you missed your connecting flights and how, when, and where you were rerouted including flight numbers and seat assignments. They say it takes 30 days after they receive ALL your documents, even if you already sent them and they send you a letter stating you have to resend them, which then restarts the 30 day clock. So far it has been 92 days since I started this process and still no check. This "process" has cost me 74 hours of my life I will never get back, including phone calls, collecting documents, completing their ridiculous forms, emails, re-sending documents I already sent. DO NOT use this company!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

After waiting 4 months they send me a letter saying "that because I live less than 50 miles from the airport they won't reimburse me". My flight was canceled. I am single with no family and the person that dropped me at the airport was a friend and he lives 1 hour away from the airport. So, I thought staying at the hotel I'll get reimburse however, after all documentation nothing happened. This company should be sue in a class suit. They are scammers. Don't waste your money. They won't reimburse you.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

My experience seems to be very different from all the other reviews I see on this site. My attorney drafted a letter and sent my collected documentation and within 30 days, my claim was paid. This was a canceled plane ticket from Michigan to Dallas due to a grave illness and hospitalization of my mother. I was sure to provide my attorney all the information requested for the illness and hospital stay. I take my rather infrequent travel plans very seriously and was very disappointed that I had to cancel at all but I was pleased that my claim was considered and reviewed so quickly.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

We booked a vacation package with a Sandals resort and of course they "strongly encourage" you to purchase travel insurance to "protect your investment." So we purchased travel insurance with Trip Mate and we were originally scheduled to travel 7/20/18 - 7/25/18 then I unfortunately, I was hospitalized on 7/13/18 – 7/26/18, therefore we had to cancel the original trip. We notified Sandals immediately, and were informed that we would not be refunded any fees we had paid on the room, so the only option they offered was to rebook the room, for which there was a room penalty fee of $185.00, of which we rebooked for 9/17/18 and paid the rebooking fee.

However, they informed us that the flights had to be cancelled and we had to re-book. They only refunded a portion of the monies we originally paid on the flights but we lost a portion of those monies on those flights that was booked for July 2018. We had to rebook flights, through Sandals and the costs for those flights was significantly higher. We have pleaded with Trip Mate and have complied with all of the documentation they've requested along with a copy of my physician's statement, to reimburse the amount of the room re-booking fees and the monies that we lost on the flights, without success. This company seems like a fraud!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

We canceled our Hawaiian trip due to Kilauea volcano (a natural disaster). They denied our claim after 4 months stating that we would have to live in the uninhabitable conditions. Not mentioning breathing toxic fumes, vog and other contaminants. National Volcanoes Park was actually destroyed and closed. They are thieves to take our money and deny our claim. The phone lines are always busy, the callbacks are ridiculous and the agents pass the buck. Do not buy travel insurance from them. It's a SCAM.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

My husband and I purchased travel insurance for our July 2018 trip to Sandals in Jamaica back in July 2017. Right before our trip, unfortunately, my father passed away. The representatives I spoke to were always helpful and guided me on exactly what to submit. I recently read many bad reviews on this company, however, we had E Checks in our email about 6 weeks from when we first submitted the claim. We received the total amount (minus the trip insurance cost of course) we paid for our trip. Even though the time the process took seemed a bit long, we are very pleased with the way in which everything was handled. Every single person I spoke to on the phone offered their condolences which meant a lot. My tip for others is to make sure you keep good records and have all of your statements showing the trip costs.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

The claim that I made with TripMate insurance is finally settled - The TripMate e-check arrived online in the full amount (of the limit) of the claim. I am now a happy camper and would have given TripMate 5 stars, but gave 4 instead because of the following: 1) Documentation required for claim is excessive. You must save EVERYTHING about your trip, your expenses, plane tickets, hotel/places stayed, police reports, hospital reports, witnesses, etc. This took me the better part of a day to collect, scan, and submit these records to the TripMate online claim form.

2) Claim I.D. number changes excessively. You start your claim with your Plan # and your Trip Insurance #, then receive a claim # WHICH CHANGES as they email you or when you check the status of the claim online. My claim number changed 3 times. 3) Wait time excessive for claim e-check payment. After all of my required documentation was received by TripMate, I still has an almost 2 month wait for the e-check. My insurance agent guy does not understand the wait time that TripMate uses to pay a claim. His company settles well-documented claims within weeks, not months.

Will I use TripMate insurance again on a future trip? Definitely yes. TripMate insurance is an excellent value. They cover things that other trip companies do not at a very reasonable price. Now that I know the rules of the TripMate claim process, I will be better prepared if I require it again. Knowing how the "claim-game" is played by TripMate gives me a better understanding of the process, and yes, patience is a virtue.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

As many of you I wish I had read these reviews before. As soon as I arrived to US I completed the claim (May 14, 2018) and until now I have NO RESPONSE. Every time I call they say something new. The status of the claim on the system is not helpful at all and I always find myself calling them. I had to complete a claim form with another insurance company at the beginning of the year and I received the refund within 2 weeks. Now, this experience has become a nightmare!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

We purchased Trip Mate travel insurance for myself and my wife's vacation through the Delta Airlines travel representative. We explained to the representative that our 14 year old son was in residential treatment for Autism and Schizophrenia and we were worried that something could happen that would affect our vacation. Well, our son had to be transferred by ambulance from Virginia to another facility in Atlanta and of course we cancelled our trip to meet him upon his arrival in Atlanta. Trip Mate determined he had a pre-existing condition and our presence wasn't necessary and therefore denied our claim. CBS also recently reported on them and their failure to pay on thousands of claims based on abstract policy. Don't waste your money. They are criminal and your recourse is limited, costly, and time consuming.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We purchased Trip Mate insurance for our Viking cruise in April 2018. As we were checking in at the airport, the airline went on strike. I called Viking rep and Trip Mate right away, spent 3 hours on the phone between them. Viking rep suggested us to take the next morning flight then either take a cab or a three hours train to catch the boat next Port. We decided to cancel the trip due to security and inconvenience concerns. The next day we filed a claim online with no response from Trip Mate till a week after.

After a couple of weeks, they wanted a document from the airline indicating what happened that day. After many requests with the airline (Lufthansa) for a document, no responses. I'm sure our case is not the first for Trip Mate as they have been in business for a while. What we got from Trip Mate is a dishonest business who does not meet their commitment. A company which does everything to deny their responsibility. After a few months of frustration and disappointment we got a lawyer. This company should not be in business. They are dishonest. No need to say that Viking also lost customers. We need to spread the words around to make other aware of this outfit.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I purchased insurance for my trip and paid the 1st payment of $699 including the insurance up front. I had to cancel and did so before Jan 2019 when the rest was due. A friend tried to get my spot and it was already filled so why was my claim denied. They did not lose money but I sure did. I was ripped off. This Trip Mate should be investigated for fraud.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

My husband and I purchased TripMate travel insurance for our May 2018 trip on a Viking River Cruise. Our trip was interrupted when my husband had a medical emergency. We called Viking rep right away and the incident was filed. Then our nightmare began working with TripMate which is still ongoing. Over time the correct documents were sent upon their request. We are seeking reimbursement for the unused portion of our trip. You call and a recording defers you to someone calling you back within 24 hours. This could be in the middle of the night depending on the time zone. Each time you talk to a rep you cannot get an answer on the status of your claim. Our claim was entered on May 5, 2018 and to date no information from TripMate.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

On May 5th we had to cut short our vacation by 6 days due to family medical emergency. On May 7th 2018 AAA started my claim. On 5/30/18 Trip Mate received forms. 6/6/18 sent forms again with no response. On July 3rd they acknowledged receiving forms. On 7/17/18 I sent them a Notice of intent to seek relief with the California Department of Insurance, Consumer Complaint Center for failure to comply with California Fair Claims Settlement Practices. On 7/23/18 they processed payment but it was $429.51 short of actual loss. Trip Mate's breakout looks like you overstated airline fees from United of $1,137.80 when I called the quote was $1048.46 including all fees and taxes shorting me $89.34. I’m sure the Travel agency gets a better price than me on this so it could be more compensation to me.

It also looks as you understated the hotel fees of $302.415 ($1,814.49) a night when I was quoted $426.02 ($2,556.12) a difference of $741.63. Like all insurance companies they want your money but don't want to pay out what they owe. So I'm out the balance unless I want to take them to court. Also a big disclaimer that is hidden is that there is a $2000 max payout clause.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

While we were on a boat, towards the end of March 2018, a huge wave came over the boat and totally soaked us. My camera and both lenses had extensive damage as this was salt water. I obtained the necessary documents and filed a claim in April. They made a partial payment in June. Since then, I have called several times to request the rest of the payment and every time I call, I am assured that they have "expedited" the request. It is now September 10, and this "expedited" claim has not been paid.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I booked tickets with CheapOair and they strongly encouraged my purchasing trip protection insurance. They even called me after my purchase to try to convince me to buy it. Normally I don't buy this insurance, but as the person whom I was visiting fell ill, I ended up purchasing the insurance just in case. The person I intended to visit then passed away, so I called to cancel my trip and get a refund and Trip Mate said they wouldn't cover it. CheapOair stressed the importance of buying this insurance for just this type of situation, and if they don't cover situations where the person whom someone is visiting dies, then it's difficult to imagine that they will pay out their customers in many other situations.

This is completely immoral on both the part of CheapOair and Trip Mate and I would encourage shoppers to absolutely not buy insurance from Trip Mate and consider using a different flight search engine to make their purchase. It is the job of the search engines to connect their customers to quality services. I have heard of other travelers buying different insurance from different search sites and receiving refunds simply because they decided they didn't want to go anymore.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I booked a party of 6 people through CheapOair.com in 2017 to fly from Cleveland, OH to New Orleans. We were heading for our cruise honeymoon with our adult children. CheapOair strongly urged my purchasing the travel insurance indicating it would pay for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING if for any reasons our trip was disrupted or cancelled.

The day before our departure, our airport was shut down due to a severe snow storm. Frantically, I tried all sources trying to get to New Orleans or we would have to cancel our cruise trip. One of our children and her spouse were already in New Orleans- AA (the flight that was our departure airline) kept cancelling our flights over the next 36 hours and we finally got overblown prices of airfares (for 6 people) to fly out of Columbus, Ohio (surprise!! AA ticketing agent indicated there weren't any flight in my state or nearby airport); Columbus airport is approx 2 hours away from Cleveland Hopkins.

We made the trip but the additional costs of airline tickets and layover sleeping in the airport overnight cost us 3x of the original airfare. I filed the claim with Trip Mate - assuming they would respond right away. After 15 days I didn't hear anything, I called. They told me, "O, your claim could not be processed because the reason code was not correct". Ok, so I refiled the claim with their customer services rep 15 days later. They also confirmed all things (forms, back documents) are in order.

Now the fun began. I didn't hear from them a couple of weeks, I called and was informed it would take about 30 days to finalize. 30 days later, I called, emailed, asking for status. They put me on hold for more than 45 days later. Then told me there were some receipts they would need. I told them EVERYTHING was emailed in with confirmation from Trip Mate that all information was in order. Now I was beginning to feel they were jerking my around. I called and was stone-walled by their customer service reps every single time. NOBODY EVER KNOWS what my claim status, nor could I speak with the person who would be processing it. This was March of 2018.

I went online to view their Facebook Page and personally messaged several complaints posted by people hosed by Trip Mate. This is their tactic - they make it so frustrated so you give up. After posting my complaint on their FB page, Jacklyn (no last name) called and we chatted. She said she was looking for a receipt for a hotel stay (she even said the amount) but she couldn't see it??? What she was looking at WAS the receipt. I re-sent the package of documents that I originally emailed to their email address. I called in again to check on the status, the customer service rep said they didn't receive anything and he said sometimes they had a little problems with transmission of data. Days later in August, I received a letter in mail from Trip Mate indicating they denied my claim!! A few days after that, Jacklyn called and left me a VM saying that my claim was now in the final review with their claim examiner.

I am saying this company is a thief!! I tried reaching out to CheapOair to see if they could help since they have recommended this garbage to all their customers. COA at first told me they could not do anything since it was a third party and not part of COA. After all the months of frustrations trying to resolve this with Trip Mate, I told COA they had moral obligation to look into the insurance company they had so urgently encouraging their customers to purchase. They told me they had tried reaching out to Trip Mate but Trip Mate wouldn't talk to them. O Yeah? How do you think your customers feel? They wouldn't talk to me either. Thanks for the heads-up on this!!

This is a sad thing for both companies, I must say. I have in the past booked expensive tickets through COA and I will no longer to do so. I am now just on the mission to tell my circles of friends and families who are frequent travelers not to purchase Trip Mate as Travel Insurance if they need it. I will also make sure I post my story on the any travel sites I can find. If you wish to go through CheapOair for ticketing, and purchase their travel insurance, make sure you inquire enough information as to who their travel insurance company is. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

This is insurance company is a scam. I sent them pages of information with travel warnings from the US Embassy and from nationwide news and headlines that issues warnings for tourists in Mexico due to growing violence toward tourists in Mexico. The cartel and drug wars have been on the rise over the year. There were ferry bombings and tourist being shot. They have yet to refund my payments. It has been several months and still no payment. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Dealing with this company has been a nightmare - they took over 11 weeks to complete the claim and issued the check in name of a wrong person, then it has been 5 weeks already and they have not corrected the mistake. I am not sure how are they still in business. Customer service never knows anything and is never of any help. Most of them sound arrogant and insensitive. I will try to avoid them in the future at all costs!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I brought my Mom along on my vacation. She flew from Jakarta, Indonesia to the Philippines, Manila and I flew from the States and we all met there and took off to another islands in the Philippines. Bought Trip Mate insurance for my Mom because it is recommended by CheapOair website. Due to Network Alignment by AirAsia (I don’t even know what it means), the Airline cancelled my Mom's flight and offer to fly her several days later. There is no way I am going to leave my Mom in a country (she does not speak English nor Tagalog). It will be heartless of me to do so... Therefore, I bought another ticket for her to fly back to Indonesia. When I submit the claims to Trip Mate it was denied and was told it was not covered... So what kind of travel insurance are they selling then? Please DO NOT Buy Trip Mate insurance and if you do have to buy please make sure you know what you are buying... This is just Terrible!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I purchased travel insurance when I booked a flight from Los Angeles, CA to Sydney, AUS. I was only given one and only one option as to the type of travel insurance I could purchase. That was back on 12/11/17. Shortly thereafter, I was advised by my doctor that flying for such a long period of time was not the best idea for me then, so I filed a claim, completed it as requested and Trip Mate received the claim in January of this year. After making what seems like thousands of phone calls to check on the status of my claim, I checked online yesterday (08/22/18) only to see that my claim had been denied. Upon calling Trip Mate, I learned that it was declined because I had not been hospitalized within the time period they saw for my medical condition.

When I see other complaints about being “stonewalled” only to be denied, I agree 100%. I waited the greater part of a year and spent far too much time talking to these awful people to get the denial stamp from their examiner. Like I mentioned before, I wasn’t given a choice of coverage when purchasing the insurance through the airline ticket provider, but suspiciously enough, when looking at the website for Trip Mate, you are not allowed to click on the different “plans”. Hmm. Do not use this service. Ever. I have since filed complaints with the BBB, Consumer Affairs in Missouri, the Insurance Commissioners Office of CA, have sought legal advice and will appeal their decision once I receive the official letter of denial from Trip Mate.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I purchased this TripMate insurance for a trip to Brazil for myself and my spouse. Then the travel department issued a warning that there was an outbreak of yellow fever in Brazil. My doctor said don’t go. I purchased this insurance from the carrier: Fareportal, Inc. & its affiliates (dba. CheapOair). They did a small refund and transferred and stayed on the telephone with me to check the status. When I started to take issue with TripMate customer service the CheapOair really got irate with me. So I had to upload my claim in April on their site. In July I got a letter requesting I mail a paper claim, because what I uploaded was too small to read. Yesterday August 20th, I checked online. Nothing had been done since July. I will never book a trip on CheapOair and never purchase TripMate or its affiliates insurance ever again.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I opened my claim in August 2017. I was to take a trip to Peru with my 80 yr old parents. They insisted on buying my travel insurance on 7/20/17 - just 5 days before our trip. Well I woke up on 7/23/17 with my sciatica nerve pinched so bad, not only did I miss the trip, I spent 3 months in physical therapy and intense pain. Trip Mate initially denied the claim in November because they said I saw my doctor the same day the trip to Peru started. I submitted hospital paperwork and a statement from my doctor saying I originally seemed medical help on 7/23/17. I knew they were concerned the injury happened so close to purchasing the trip insurance, however I had the paperwork to prove my case.

Since then it’s been one delay-or as my attorney stated - stonewalling - so they don’t have to pay the claim. A demand letter was sent and received by them on 8/21/18. I have also opened up a complaint with the Department of Consumer Affairs in Missouri - as well as a complaint with the Missouri Insurance Board. I encourage anyone who is having a hard time with them - do the same. They are anything BUT a professional organization.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Denied claim after months of waiting. Even with military documentation requested. They will tell you to call back every few weeks, as they research how to deny you. Military: Stay Away!!!! Trip Mate insurance is a scam. Go see legal if denied!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I have been a travel agent for many years. Never have I seen a company this poor. Clients have filed claim in March and have not been paid out on what should have been a very simple claim. They have submitted all supporting documents on more than one occasion and continue to be told it wasn't submitted, the doctor didn't sign etc. I always recommend trip insurance for my clients. I will NEVER, EVER recommend Trip Mate should one of my travel suppliers use them. I will ONLY offer Allianz insurance or other alternatives. As far as I am concerned Trip Mate stole my client's money. Why should I continue to promote travel protection when they do nothing to protect the client. I will do everything in my power to make sure my clients get paid and that Trip Mate will not do this to another consumer.

Trip Mate Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

As the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, Trip Mate Insurance demonstrates its commitment to making every vacation as perfect as possible.

• Online claim reporting: Not every area has cellphone service, so being able to put in a claim online can get the ball rolling faster.

• 24/7 Customer service: Emergencies can happen at any time, so you want a company that offers around-the-clock customer service.

• Global XPI is included: During a health emergency, a physician may not have time to wait for medical records, so having everything available through this third-party service can make medical care a seamless process.

• 24-hour concierge services: Find out about immunization requirements, exchange rates or passport replacement at any time.

• Buy through your travel agent: Trip Mate Insurance is available through thousands of travel partners and retail locations.

• Best for: Party animals, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky