4.26/5
Based on 158 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Travelex Insurance Services is a leading travel insurance provider offering a variety of protection plans and optional upgrades to fit your individual travel needs. All Travelex leisure plans include coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay, medical expense benefits, medical evacuation, lost or delayed baggage and more. With over 55 years of experience, our team is among the most experienced in the industry and is committed to helping protect your trip investment. Get a free quote today!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 26, 2018

233 Travelex Insurance Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 26, 2018

To this date I still do not where or if I am getting anything from anyone. Response was extremely slow and could not be less personal. Your phone poor hold times are absolutely outrageous. I find it interesting that you would send out a SURVEY. Why would I want to on my next trip pick your insurance company?

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Was easy to compare with available competitors online and make a decision. We have used them in the past with excellent results when we missed our flight out of Calente, Argentina back to Buenos Aires. The new trip coverage was cheaper with same coverage. Past experience made it easy to choose!!!

Original review: April 19, 2018

I have been purchasing travel insurance through Travelex since 2010. I travel internationally at least once a year and I never leave home without it. I know that I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. It gives me peace of mind every time that I travel.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Selecting and purchasing travel insurance online has always been a straightforward experience. I always chuckle when I receive this survey since real product quality is yet to be tested as I have not filed a claim. Fortunately, after thousands of miles of travel domestically and overseas, I have yet to require filing a claim. I am hoping probability stays on my side in the future.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post!

We hope that your trip goes as smoothly as possible. However, in the event that something goes wrong, our claims process is now easier than ever. You can start a claim, upload documents, and check the status of your claim all from your phone, using the Travelex Insurance Services Claims App. We also have more traditional options available including our website, email, call, fax, and mail.

Thanks again and we look forward to insuring all your future travel!

Original review: April 18, 2018

The process for choosing and purchasing my travel insurance was very simple and straightforward. It was clear what the coverage was, and the way it was listed was helpful. I believe I received good coverage for the money, and I would go to Travelex again in the future.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelex Insurance Services?

Original review: April 18, 2018

Made everything easy. Thank you for such an easy website to the traveler who has virtually no experience with getting travel insurance before. I am totally new to booking my own flights. This is the first trip where I had to get my own travel insurance.

Original review: April 18, 2018

We purchase our Travelex Insurance online. The site was easy to read and understand. All information was clearly presented with side by side comparisons of the different plans. Payment with a credit card was easy as well. This is the second time we have used Travelex for our travel insurance.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I used Travelex last year and had a claim which they processed and paid me without any issue as I had all my receipts. I am using them again for my current trip. The price is very fair. I recommend them for your Travel Insurance.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback!

We are so happy to hear about your good claims experience and look forward to doing business with you again.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Amber

Original review: April 13, 2018

It was extremely easy to order Travel insurance. We didn't have to use it while travelling abroad, thankfully, but it was very inexpensive, so not a waste of money. I was even able to order travel insurance for my husband after he'd already started his trip.

Original review: April 12, 2018

We didn't want to spend the money but have always gotten the trip insurance in the past and always figure it's worth the price for the peace of mind, so we did it again. Travelex makes the experience so easy and painless and you know exactly what you're getting into.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I've been purchasing travel insurance for international travel for many years through Travelex, and have overall been very pleased with the coverage, rates, user-friendly Website, and ease of access to estimating plan cost and purchasing a policy. Rates seem to me competitive, and coverage sufficient. Thank you.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I put my birth date in many many times and it would not accept it. Also the entry after the birth date it would not accept. Can't remember what that one was. I ended up having to call my Travel Agent to enter the information for me. Our trip includes 9 people and at least 5 of them experienced the same problem and ended up calling our Travel Agent. This needs fixed. I use your company and it is recommended by my Travel Company.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking your time to leave us a review, and we are sorry to hear about your frustrations.

We have forwarded your concerns to the appropriate department to help make sure our website is functioning correctly and smoothly.

In the future, you may call our Customer Solutions Center and purchase over the phone, Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 7:00pm CST, at 1-800-228-9792. Our Customer Solutions Representative can duplicate policy information, to make purchasing multiple policies quick and painless.

Thank you for your purchase and we hope you have a great trip!

Original review: April 4, 2018

Very easy to purchase. We have not taken our trip yet and I have not made any claims, so I can't rate that aspect of the policy. I bought on the urge of a relative who did have insurance and had to cancel a trip due to illness and only suffered a small loss on the trip because the insurance covered most of it.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Travel plan was for 4 individuals... We did not experience any problems in completing form and submitting info for purchase of insurance... Selecting plan was easy too. Purchase and receipt of plan was done in order and timely response... plan to go with Travelex again on next trip.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Easy, fast and cost effective way to buy travel insurance. It's also a trusted company belonging to the Birkshire-Hathaway family group. The online process was easy to complete, the plans were easy to select and the processing time was quick and efficient. I am happy to recommend Travelex for all of your travel insurance needs.

Original review: March 28, 2018

My wife fell sick in the Alaska cruise in July - Aug last year and we had to go to Emergency at Juneau. We filed the medical expenses claim after return. Travelex reimbursed the appropriate amount without any hassle. We traveled to Italy in Nov 2017 and bought travel insurance from them. We are going to two trips this year and already bought insurance from Travelex.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I have used Travelex in the past and have always been happy with their service. They are inexpensive compared to other companies and it's easy to purchase and understand their policies. I will continue to use this company for future trips!

Original review: March 26, 2018

I was very pleased with prompt response and reimbursement of my bill. Printed all the necessary papers from website to fill out and Dr. had provided me with all her paperwork, so very easy to scan everything and submit online. Received satisfactory response next day.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you so much for your kind words.

We are sorry to hear that your trip did not go as planned, but we are happy to hear that our claims processes are fair and your reimbursement for losses were received so quickly.

Thank you again and have a wonderful day!

Original review: March 25, 2018

HORRIBLE SERVICE AND WILL NEVER BUY FROM TRAVELEX AGAIN!!! Wait time on the phone is long. Other travel insurances have no wait time. Berkshire Insurance Company is horrible. Totally different comments and answers from Travelex company employees and the insurance company employees. Get on the same page. Don’t have two stories and answers. Also, Berkshire insurance company has no definite answer in what it covers. “Maybe” and “depends” are its favorite words. Will never buy from Travelex again. It actually deserves 0 stars but I can’t put no stars.

Travelex Insurance Services response

We thank you for taking the time to post about your concerns.

Travelex Insurance is experiencing higher than normal call volumes which has resulted in longer than normal wait times. We are happy to advise you that we are currently in the final stage of training new Customer Solutions Representatives which, in the near future, should reduce our hold times and uphold our exemplary customer service goals.

We did review the 2 phone calls that you made to our Customer Solutions Department and during both calls you were provided correct information regarding the benefits of the policy that was purchased. The Claim Administrator also reviewed the call to the claims department and found that the only topic discussed was how to make a claim.

Insurance is highly regulated and in order to confirm coverage, completed claim forms and documentation are an important part of the claim process in order to validate coverage as it relates to the specific conditions as listed in the plan purchased. Prior to a claim being filed and adjudicated, benefits cannot be guaranteed, as they are highly dependent on the documentation submitted at the time of a claim.

We hope that this response clarifies our position in this matter and resolves your concerns. Should you have any additional questions please feel free to contact the Claim Administrator at 1-855-205-6328, Mon-Fri 7:00 am to 7:00 pm CST.

Amber McMahon

Original review: March 25, 2018

Agent was very helpful, answered all my questions, and was very meticulous in rechecking all Information I submitted. Sarah was able to provide me with the policy I was looking for. I would definitely use this company again for future traveling.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: March 14, 2018

I emailed what I believe are all of the documents necessary to file a claim for trip interruption claim over the weekend. I’ve left two messages for the person handling my claim. I have not received any response. I am surprised and disappointed.

Travelex Insurance Services response

We want to thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns and we are sorry to hear that your trip did not go as planned.

Please keep in mind that insurance is highly regulated. The Claim Administrator received your completed claim forms and supporting documentation on March 12, 2018. The Claim Examiner promptly assessed the claim and payment was released March 20, 2018 (within 7 business days).

We are happy to advise, that the reimbursement was processed on March 21, 2018, therefore you should receive it in your bank account within the next 24 – 48 hours. If you have any questions regarding your claim, please contact the Claim Administrator at 1-855-205-6054, Monday-Friday, 7:00am-7:00pm CST.

We hope that the above addresses your concerns and we look forward to insuring all your future trips!

Original review: March 14, 2018

Obtaining a quote and purchase was easy. My trip is not until June. We will have to wait and see what happens if an issue should arise. I choose Travelex due to its high ratings and easy access. The policy details are clear.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Sign up was smooth and easy. We preferred reviews we read about people's claims experience with you over what we read about other companies. Rates were comparable. Of course, the proof is in what happens if we actually need to use the insurance. Wish us luck!

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We hope your trip is as smooth and easy as your sign-up process was!

We look forward to insuring all your future travel plans.

Thank you again, and have a wonderful day!

Original review: March 14, 2018

We have used Travelex for our travel insurance needs several times, and will continue to use them. I have a pre-existing condition, and if we buy the insurance within 21 days of our deposit on the trip, we are covered. The peace of mind that this insurance gives us is great. And the cost is comparable to other travel insurance, we have found.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have only recently purchased trip insurance and it is for a trip we will take in the fall 2018. So, I can only comment on the pre-purchase and purchase experiences. Generally, I think your website provides useful disclosures about what's covered and what's not and provides clear differentiation of the various products you offer (basic, select, etc.). It was good to be able to download and read the policy before committing to purchase. Purchase process was straightforward. One of your strong assets needs more prominence on your website: the insurance is underwritten by Berkshire Hathaway. Insurance is only as good as the underlying insurer and Berkshire is the gold standard.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I have used your company in the past and have been very satisfied. Have had to use your services once on a trip and found Travelex very helpful. It was easy to go online and order this insurance. I would recommend it to anyone who travels a lot. Thank you for your help.

Original review: March 3, 2018

Insurance for tour to Egypt, Jordan, and Israel - I telephoned your business number, and had the good fortune to be put in contact with the most pleasant of young ladies. She handled the business at hand in a most pleasant and professional manner. It was a pleasure to do business with your company. My wife and I would recommend you highly to our friends. Thank you.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback!

We are so happy to hear about your experience and look forward to doing business with you again.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Amber

Original review: March 2, 2018

Very easy and affordable to purchase vacation insurance. Hopefully this will not need, but provides peace of mind should anything go wrong on during our vacation travels. The most important peace of purchasing travel insurance is the medical portion provided.

Original review: March 1, 2018

In October 2017 I traveled to Africa for vacation and knowing that something always happens I purchased this travel insurance through my travel agent at a cost of about $500 per person. When Mozambique air canceled my flight from Maputo to Inhambane due to what the airline called operational reasons, I was stuck in Maputo and missed a already paid for and non-refundable night at my five-star resort in Massinga. Mozambique Air would not provide a specific reason for the cancellation but we were told by the hotel that we had to stay at that they have been canceling flights for this route for several days.

This delay in my trip was not covered by Travelex because it was not one of the very specific reasons they have listed on the policy (and the airline but not provide the details). Did result in a delay in my travel plans which is listed on the policy. So what is the point of having travel insurance if they're not going to cover trip delays due to airline issues that are out of the control of the client. We lost $600 in accommodation fees and $1000 we spent on this worthless insurances. I believe this was a result of a loophole in the policy and poor client service from Travelex.

Travelex Insurance Services response

We want to thank you for taking your time to voice your concerns and your patience while we attempt to email the airline, on your behalf, to see if we can get the exact reason for cancellation, to submit for your claim.

Once we hear back from the airline we will email you personally to update you on the status.

If you have any questions in the meantime, please feel free to contact us at TISReviews@travelexinsurance.com.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Buying the policy was really easy. Your website was the most organized of the ones I visited. Your costs are in the middle. Here is the catch. Anyone can sell a policy. Let's wait until there is a claim (I hope there is not one) and see how this goes.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review.

We are glad to hear that the process of buying a policy was easy!

While we hope that your trip goes smoothly, we do aim to make our claims process as easy as our purchasing process.

Thank you again and we look forward to insuring all your travel needs in the future.

Travelex Insurance Services expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Travelex Insurance Services is a leader in the travel insurance industry. They offer a variety of plans with customizable upgrades so you can find the perfect plan for your trip.

• Variety of protection plan options: They offer various protection plans with clearly laid out coverage levels including Travel Basic, Travel Select, and Travel Max.

• Medical coverage: Get medical expense coverage of up to $100,000 per trip.

• Children travel at no additional cost: With the Travel Select plan, children under the age of 21 are included at no extra charge when accompanied by a covered adult family member.

• Extended trip duration: Single-trip policies will cover vacations of up to 180 days.

• Trip interruption coverage: In the event of an interruption, certain Travelex plans cover up to 150 percent of insured trip cost.

• Best for: leisure, luxury and family trips.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky

Insurance Contributing Editor

Travelex Insurance Services questions and answers

What problem is Travelex Insurance trying to solve?
Travelex Insurance helps protect travelers from unexpected expenses and assists in dealing with unforeseen events which could occur while traveling.
What sets Travelex apart from the competition?
Travelex is extremely proud of our "ExFactor" advantage over the competition which entails our experienced people, excellent protection plans and exceptional customer care. We pride ourselves on the fact that every client, customer, travel agent is treated as a VIP. We understand that many people do not understand travel insurance; our clients can rely on Travelex to provide the most appropriate plan with excellent service before, after and during their trip to be sure their needs are met.
What needs does Travelex fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
The Travelex protection plans offer 24-hour coverage for trip cancellations, flight delays, medical emergencies and evacuations and much more depending on the plan purchased. Many of the Travelex plans provide First Payer Coverage for medical expenses with no deductible. This means Travelex pays first but may recover funds from medical or other collectible insurance plans. Our plans are available through major travel providers including tour operators, cruise lines and thousands of travel agents across the country as well as online at www.travelexinsurance.com.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
Most people do not understand the need for travel insurance. In today's world there are so many uncertainties that can impact their trip investment like trip cancellations due to natural disasters such as volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes; trip delays, sickness, injury, terrorist attacks, delayed baggage and the list goes on. The cost of one of these events would in most cases more than cover the cost of a Travelex protection plan.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Travelex Insurance?
In addition to our travel protection plans, we offer expedited passport services, international driving permits and Travel Solve – our evacuation, security and assistance membership plan designed for a unique market of travelers.
Has Travelex received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
Travelex Insurance Services is a nine-time winner of the Virtuoso Best Specialty Provider Award. This Award is unique in that the Virtuoso travel advisors vote for the winner. The fact that Travelex is continually recognized with this award is a tribute to the quality protection plans and exceptional service we provide every day to travel agents and travelers alike.
How has Travelex Insurance grown or evolved?
Travelex continues to modify and upgrade our plans to meet the needs of today's travelers. The company has progressed through the evolution of travel insurance products which started as simple flight accidental death and dismemberment plans offered mainly through airport counter locations, to today where Travelex offers more travel package plans sold through multiple venues including travel agents, tour operators, cruise lines and online travel agencies.

Our plans have mainly evolved with the needs of the leisure traveling public by including features such as a pre-existing medical waiver on most plans, a family friendly kids free plan, pet insurance provisions and a 'cancel for any reason' upgrade – to name a few.
How does Travelex measure success?
Customer satisfaction is the key success measurement for Travelex Insurance Services. When Travelex is able to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations, our distributors are more likely to sell more insurance, travelers are more likely to become repeat customers and both are more likely to be advocates of our company, attracting more customers for us.

Travelex measures our customer satisfaction through customer feedback surveys, industry review site ratings, agency attrition rate and customer testimonials.

Travel Insurance is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH; NAIC #10952. 1725568

Travelex Insurance Services Company Information