4.46/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Travelex Insurance Services is a leading travel insurance provider offering a variety of protection plans and optional upgrades to fit your individual travel needs. All Travelex leisure plans include coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay, medical expense benefits, medical evacuation, lost or delayed baggage and more. With over 55 years of experience, our team is among the most experienced in the industry and is committed to helping protect your trip investment. Get a free quote today!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

402 Travelex Insurance Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Fantastic customer service! Everyone is very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. The prices are fair for what you get. Claims are responded to in a very timely manner. Have been using Travelex for years and will continue to do so for all my trips.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Website doesn't explain. 1. What country do you put down when traveling to multiple countries. 2. How to figure out medical expenses. Which option to pick.

3. Whether you are covered when traveling to multiple countries. 4. No explanation on how much to insure your trip. Premium goes up the more you insure.

5. No explanation what to do when you do have medical expenses.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I had some trouble initially with the website with the payment going through. It's also difficult to actually find a saved quote. You have to go back to the email and click on the link. Otherwise, I think it was fairly straightforward. The first time we purchased it through a travel agent this time I did so directly. Competitive pricing and primary coverage are a plus!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have always had a reasonably good experience with your purchasing options and have been purchasing travel insurance from you for nearly 20 years. One comment would be that it would help for returning customers if we could have an account which remembers all of our family information to simplify repeat purchases. Would be nice if we could see an account of previously purchased policies too. Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Easy to navigate online. Had one question and called the customer service number. It was answered promptly and helped ease our minds. Went back online and purchased the plan that bnb would best fit our needs. Thank you for a pleasurable experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelex Insurance Services?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Although I've not yet received my visa back, it looks like this service was sufficient to secure my necessary travel documentation. I will return here next time I travel and see whether the rates and cover are competitive for family travel, but for now it all looks good and I'm happy with the service.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Going online through the process was very smooth. It was easy to understand the options and was nice to handle everything online. I did call the 800 number for clarification and that was a simple process as well. I quickly received the online contract with all of the details for my documents as well. Thanks!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Best travel insurance policy we have ever seen. You don't have to be dead yourself to qualify! And now we don't have to worry about missing the funerals of our parents who are now in their nineties. We were referred by friends who have had excellent service from Travelex. THANKS.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

We have used Travelex many times and recently had to make a claim for trip interruption. It was an unusual circumstance dealing with canceling one of two cruises, but continuing on a planned personal trip. We had good documentation to support our case, and Travelex handled our claim quickly, fairly, and exceeded my expectations in how well we were treated. Our entire claim was paid in full, and we have booked another trip using Travelex again.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My first time taking out a travel insurance couldn’t have been more smooth. My bike bag and suitcase were both damaged when I landed back home. I took pictures and filled out the easy claim and mailed it all in. Within a few weeks I was reimbursed fully. I will always be taking out an insurance for when I travel with Travelex!

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post!

We appreciate the excellent rating, and we loved to hear that your claim was processed fairly and in a timely manner. We look forward to insuring all your future travel!

Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I had minimal questions, using nice online application. However, I could not find answers to crucial questions... like 'what counts as final destination?' No answer on website, no chat window, I waited about an hour on telephone hold, and did get response to email a day or so later (too late, already bought product).

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns, and we are sorry to hear of your frustration.

We are currently experiencing higher than average call volume, which has resulted in longer than normal wait times. However, we are happy to hear that your question(s), via email, were answered in a timely manner. Our Customer Solutions Team strives to answer all emails within 24 business hours.

For your convenience, the Travel Select plan you purchased offers a 15 Day Free Look Period. This allows you to cancel the policy and receive a refund of your premium within 15 days, as long as you have not already departed on your trip or filed a claim.

Thank you again, and we look forward to working with you in the future!

Kind Regards,

Amber

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I was very pleased with the ease of purchasing this insurance, the policy availability and confirmation. The process was easy to understand and follow, the coverage is explained well. I would recommend this company for out of country travel. Since I haven't gone on the trip yet, I can't speak to how problems are handled if any come up.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Obtained travel insurance for an upcoming cruise. Did everything on-line. It was very easy and streamlined making the process worry free and efficient. Travelex was recommended by a "Travel Agent" friend who has much experience in the industry and she did not steer us wrong.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

The selection and ordering process was responsive, informative, and logical. The ability to compare your products was appreciated. I previously purchased my travel insurance through an intermediary, but found this direct process more satisfying. As for your solicitation of feedback, I appreciate the opportunity.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I am a repeat customer and have ordered the AD&D Air Only policy many times. I love the option of being able to order AD&D only. The reason that I didn't give your service 5 stars is because your website is unnecessarily complicated and not user friendly - especially when ordering AD&D only. It should have its own designation with a drop box or column in the comparative area. Thank you for the opportunity to do this review.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Your rep did a good job explaining your product. He was courteous and helpful. We ordered the travel insurance. Really no problem at all. Really nothing else was a problem. The website was fine as well.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I had peace of mind having this insurance, but had no reason for any claims. At my age I always have concerns for health issues that may occur, but the policy covered any event of illness and repatriation to my home country. It also provided for medical rescue. My baggage was lost in London but British Airways located and returned to my California home within 48 hours. Bags were intact and not damaged or pilfered.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I use Travelex almost exclusively for my travel insurance needs. Sometimes I need a full package and other times just medical and minimal coverages. Their website is easy to use and to understand. Over the last couple years I’ve used them for trips to Egypt, Morocco and Ethiopia.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

This time I didn't have to use my travel insurance, but in my last trip to Costa Rica, we missed our flight because of harsh weather. We had to buy another one since the other airline didn't have other flights the same day. We purchased it, filed a claim and Travelex refunded us for the second ticket. Will use them for sure again.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I had a good experience with the agents that I have spoken to. All questions were answered and service was very professional. Suggestions were given to me that will be beneficial for my trip. I have used Travelex previously for many trips and would recommend it to anyone I know of who will be traveling.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I've purchased travel insurance from Travelex insurance for two trips in the last year. My mother-in-law is in her 90's, so I opted for the full coverage, Individual Travel Protection Insurance Policy in case I have to cancel at the last minute for family emergencies. I had a great purchase experience both times. The agents were straightforward, knowledgeable and good to work with. Full coverage is a large expense, but I feel comfortable and confident my Travelex policy will take care of any unexpected issues that might arise. I'll continue to use Travelex for future trips.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Always Good Service! Was a former travel consultant and recommended to my clients to use them usually. Many years ago (over 10 years ago) our trip to South Africa was interrupted because an airline was shut down and you took good care of us while we stranded in the middle of our trip.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Thanks for having an easy to navigate website. The only thing I wish is that I could get a rewards scheme for frequent policy buyers! I use you guys all the time for domestic and international trips. Great great product.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

No real problems, the purchase went relatively smoothly. I would prefer to have a lower cost option to not have travel costs reimbursed; just cover emergency services. I was able to get costs reimbursed once in the past and found it very difficult and extremely frustrating. As in, send in such and such papers, wait two weeks, get asked for something else, etc, etc.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns on Consumer Affairs.

The Travelex Travel Basic and Travel Select plans offer multiple benefits while you are traveling. This does include pre-departure benefits as well, such as Trip Cancellation.

That being said, you do have the option of insuring the lowest trip cost band of $1 - $250, instead of insuring your entire trip cost. This allows you to have a lower insurance premium, while not changing the benefits available when traveling (with the exception of Trip Interruption which is based on 150% of your insured trip cost). However, by not insuring your full trip cost you may compromise the coverage under the Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion Waiver. One of the requirements for being eligible for the Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion Waiver, is that you are insuring all pre-paid, non-refundable components of your trip.

If you would like to insure a lower trip cost, please contact our Customer Solutions Department at 1-800-228-9792, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 7:00 pm CST. They will be able to assist with the change and refund the premium difference, as long as you have no claim to file and have not departed on your trip.

Thank you again and we look forward to insuring all your future trips.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Easy to make the purchase. Will buy again in the next time we travel and will recommend to friends and families. Also the price is the best compare to the other competitors. Thanks for the opportunity to review your company. Once again great website.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I shopped and compared 5 different policies online and got recommendations from 3 friends who all used different companies. Travelex stood out for the coverage, equivalent price, and the best part - my phone call to Customer Service. You see, I read the policy and had questions. When I called, Kathy answered every question I had, clearly and understandably. My focal areas were trip delay, bicycle touring and pre-existing conditions. I can't review the claim process as I haven't traveled yet. (And I hope that I don't have to!) I feel comfortable with the company, people and policy so far.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

It was easy to sign up for the travel insurance however the five star rating was based on that because I have had no experience with the insurance itself and hope that I do not need to use it. I would appreciate a list sent to me of coverages.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

It is still too early to give an appropriate appraisal. I bought Travelex for the first time for essentially three reasons: 1.) I had a loss which my previous insurance company said that they probably would not cover (it is not clear that Travelex would have covered it either). This prompted me to start shopping for other companies. 2.) The total cost was less for the same or better coverage with my previous company, and 3.) the insurance is primary. Most other travel insurances are secondary. Many other companies also have poor consumer evaluations. I have passed all of this information on to my step-son, who I presume is also going to buy a Travelex policy.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Purchased this insurance as part of the requirement for getting my French visa. My insurance was not accepted as it doesn't clearly state coverage area and the fact that it covers entire Schengen area. I ended up purchasing a different insurance and requested to refund me for this one. Not sure if the request will be granted.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns on Consumer Affairs.

Travelex’ policies offer coverage for travel anywhere in the world, unless it is an Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC) Destination (Iran, Crimea Region of Ukraine, Libya, North Korea, and Syria).

However, in order to obtain a Visa, the Consulate generally requests a letter that confirms the coverage purchased on company letterhead, from the travel insurance company. In the future, a letter can be requested from Travelex by email at customersolutions@travelexinsurance.com or phone, and sent back to the traveler via email, within 24 hours.

We have cancelled your policy and the premium has been refunded in full back to the card used to purchase the policy. This refund should be reflected on your statement within the next 5 – 7 business days, depending on your banking institution.

If you have any questions, in the future, about our policy benefits, please don’t hesitate to call our Customer Solutions Department at 1-800-228-9792, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 7:00 pm CST.

We hope that the above addresses your concerns and that this additional explanation is of assistance.

Kind Regards,

Amber

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

My mother used to travel to Canada to visit my sisters twice a year and bought Travelex medical insurance for her while traveling there. During her last visit she got sick and was taken to ER in Canada. She spent a few hours there and was discharged. Later the Canadian ER sent us the medical bill, which Travelex paid directly to that ER. We are happy to use this company in future. We also recommend it to our friends and others.

Travelex Insurance Services expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Travelex Insurance Services is a leader in the travel insurance industry. They offer a variety of plans with customizable upgrades so you can find the perfect plan for your trip.

• Variety of protection plan options: They offer various protection plans with clearly laid out coverage levels including Travel Basic, Travel Select, and Travel Max.

• Medical coverage: Get medical expense coverage of up to $100,000 per trip.

• Children travel at no additional cost: With the Travel Select plan, children under the age of 21 are included at no extra charge when accompanied by a covered adult family member.

• Extended trip duration: Single-trip policies will cover vacations of up to 180 days.

• Trip interruption coverage: In the event of an interruption, certain Travelex plans cover up to 150 percent of insured trip cost.

• Best for: leisure, luxury and family trips.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

Travelex Insurance Services questions and answers

What problem is Travelex Insurance trying to solve?
Travelex Insurance helps protect travelers from unexpected expenses and assists in dealing with unforeseen events which could occur while traveling.
What sets Travelex apart from the competition?
Travelex is extremely proud of our "ExFactor" advantage over the competition which entails our experienced people, excellent protection plans and exceptional customer care. We pride ourselves on the fact that every client, customer, travel agent is treated as a VIP. We understand that many people do not understand travel insurance; our clients can rely on Travelex to provide the most appropriate plan with excellent service before, after and during their trip to be sure their needs are met.
What needs does Travelex fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
The Travelex protection plans offer 24-hour coverage for trip cancellations, flight delays, medical emergencies and evacuations and much more depending on the plan purchased. Many of the Travelex plans provide First Payer Coverage for medical expenses with no deductible. This means Travelex pays first but may recover funds from medical or other collectible insurance plans. Our plans are available through major travel providers including tour operators, cruise lines and thousands of travel agents across the country as well as online at www.travelexinsurance.com.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
Most people do not understand the need for travel insurance. In today's world there are so many uncertainties that can impact their trip investment like trip cancellations due to natural disasters such as volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes; trip delays, sickness, injury, terrorist attacks, delayed baggage and the list goes on. The cost of one of these events would in most cases more than cover the cost of a Travelex protection plan.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Travelex Insurance?
In addition to our travel protection plans, we offer expedited passport services, international driving permits and Travel Solve – our evacuation, security and assistance membership plan designed for a unique market of travelers.
Has Travelex received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
Travelex Insurance Services is a nine-time winner of the Virtuoso Best Specialty Provider Award. This Award is unique in that the Virtuoso travel advisors vote for the winner. The fact that Travelex is continually recognized with this award is a tribute to the quality protection plans and exceptional service we provide every day to travel agents and travelers alike.
How has Travelex Insurance grown or evolved?
Travelex continues to modify and upgrade our plans to meet the needs of today's travelers. The company has progressed through the evolution of travel insurance products which started as simple flight accidental death and dismemberment plans offered mainly through airport counter locations, to today where Travelex offers more travel package plans sold through multiple venues including travel agents, tour operators, cruise lines and online travel agencies.

Our plans have mainly evolved with the needs of the leisure traveling public by including features such as a pre-existing medical waiver on most plans, a family friendly kids free plan, pet insurance provisions and a 'cancel for any reason' upgrade – to name a few.
How does Travelex measure success?
Customer satisfaction is the key success measurement for Travelex Insurance Services. When Travelex is able to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations, our distributors are more likely to sell more insurance, travelers are more likely to become repeat customers and both are more likely to be advocates of our company, attracting more customers for us.

Travelex measures our customer satisfaction through customer feedback surveys, industry review site ratings, agency attrition rate and customer testimonials.

Travel Insurance is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH; NAIC #10952. 1725568

Travelex Insurance Services Company Information