2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.38/5

Travelex Insurance is a provider of travel insurance and emergency travel assistance. Like other types of insurance, it allows travelers to pay a premium for a specific level of coverage and then file a claim if they have an emergency while away from home. There are different coverage options, including flight insurance and specific coverage for business travelers.

BOTTOM LINE

Travelex is a travel insurance company that offers a wide range of coverage options for all types of travel. The company reimburses travelers for trip delays, lost or delayed baggage, medical emergencies and more.

PROS
  • Coverage for traveling minors
  • Offers customizable plan upgrades
  • Five insurance plans to choose from
CONS
  • Pricey service
  • $500 max per lost/damaged baggage

Top Travelex Insurance Services Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelex Insurance Services?

Even during COVID times, Travelex delivered on their insurance policies and processed my claim promptly. Would highly recommend and very happy to see an insurance company at work! Like many, I was unsure about purchasing and whether it was "legit." It's legit!!

My girlfriend and I traveled overseas for 2 months this January and February. She ended up getting really sick… Filed a claim with Travelex with documentation from the Doctors on what happened and our policy covered the whole thing! Tremendous financial and stress relief for us...

Travelex Insurance Services Get a Quote

What is Travelex Insurance?

Travelex provides travel insurance that protects you financially when traveling, whether you become ill or your luggage is lost or damaged.

Travelex Insurance Services covers costs that a traditional insurance plan does not. If you are hurt or become ill overseas, your health insurance may cover reasonable medical costs associated with your condition but not an emergency evacuation back to the U.S. or other expenses associated with an overseas emergency. Travel insurance takes care of the things that traditional insurance does not.

Travelex also reimburses you if your luggage is delayed or lost in transit. Delayed luggage can dramatically impact your trip, and travel insurance ensures you are quickly reimbursed so you can use the funds to purchase necessities and enjoy your vacation.

Traveling can be stressful and unpredictable, but having Travelex travel insurance means you won’t have to pay for everything out of pocket if something goes wrong.

Travelex Insurance services

Travelex trip insurance offers five different coverage options:

Travel Basic
This basic plan is ideal for a traveler on a budget. It provides coverage for the most common interruptions and emergencies that occur on short, domestic vacations. With this plan, 100% of your trip costs are refunded if you have to cancel due to sickness, injury, death, bad weather, natural disasters, financial default, labor strikes or business reasons. Other popular features of this plan include:
  • Trip delay coverage: $500 ($250 a day)
  • Baggage delay: $100
  • Emergency medical expenses: $15,000 ($500 dental sublimit)
  • Missed connections: $500
Travel Select
This Travelex Insurance plan is the most popular option, according to the company. Children who are 17 and under are covered at no additional cost, and families planning on adding adventure to their vacation can add on the optional Adventure Sports upgrade. This covers activities like mountain climbing, parasailing and hot air ballooning. Delays happen, and this coverage option includes a three-hour missed connection benefit and a five-hour trip delay benefit. Other popular features of this plan include:
  • Trip delay: $750 ($250 a day)
  • Equipment delay: $200
  • Missed connection: $750
  • Baggage and personal effects: $1,000
Travel America
This insurance plan is designed to offer maximum coverage for short getaways within the United States. It covers trips to national and theme parks, short weekend staycations, road trips and stays in vacation rental homes/resorts. This plan covers up to eight travelers for trips no longer than 15 days. Travelers can share benefits, and the plan offers a $750 trip cancellation benefit. Other popular features of this plan also include:
  • Missed connection: $2,000
  • Trip inconvenience: $1,000
  • Baggage and personal effects: $2,000
  • Pet medical expenses: $1,000 ($50 deductible)
  • Pet return transportation: $10,000
Flight insurance
An airline flight can be one of the most expensive parts of a vacation, and it can cost time and money when your trip is delayed or you miss your plane. Adding Travelex flight insurance into your travel budget gives you two options.
  • The Flight Only option provides coverage specifically for flight accidents and includes trip delay coverage for internet usage fees and travel assistance services.
  • The Package Plan includes everything in the Flight Only plan but also covers standard claims that can take place after departure, including medical coverage, medical evacuation and baggage coverage.
Business travel insurance
Ideal for business travelers, Travelex’s business travel insurance covers both domestic and international business travel. It offers different levels of cancellation coverage and covers the cost of a trip delay. If you are renting a car for business and it is damaged due to collision, vandalism, windstorm, fire, hail or flood, the plan covers you financially.

Travelex also offers cruise insurance, coverage for international travel, family travel protection and baggage insurance.

Travelex Insurance trip cost

Your Travelex Insurance premiums are based on your vacation’s total cost and how many people require coverage. Below are examples of what travel insurance for a 35-year-old solo traveler would cost as of time of publishing for a weeklong trip that costs $1200.

Plan typeCost
Travel America (U.S. destinations only)$60
Travel Basic$68
Travel Select$89

Prices vary depending on the total cost of the trip and the level of protection you need.

Travelex FAQ

Is Travelex Insurance a good insurance provider?
If you travel frequently, Travelex Insurance may be worth the investment because it covers many of the most common problems and issues associated with business travel and vacation. Travel insurance is often worth it if you plan on spending a lot of money on a trip and want peace of mind that you won’t be stuck paying for expensive travel-related emergencies out of pocket.
How do I file a claim with Travelex?
You can file a claim with Travelex by visiting its website. You need your plan identification number to begin activating your insurance benefits.
Is Travelex a reputable company?
Travelex is a reputable, legitimate company that has a history of strong customer service and paying claims.
How does COVID-19 affect Travelex coverage?
Currently, Travelex offers trip cancellation, interruption and delay coverage due to the coronavirus pandemic. Not all travelers may be eligible for these services, but you can visit Travelex’s website to find out if you qualify.

Is Travelex worth it?

If you travel regularly, Travelex is likely worth it. The company offers economically priced plans that cover some of the most common travel-related emergencies and delays. If a trip delay, flight cancellation, lost luggage or medical emergency would significantly impact your trip, Travelex Insurance is worth looking into.

Travelex Insurance Services Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelex Insurance Services?

Original review: July 1, 2020

I filed a claim because of travel interruptions I had and had went thru a lot of extra expenses cause by the epidemic. It has been three months and still have not heard anything. I had full coverage and the reason for the claim was for partial payment to see if I could recover some of the loss I incurred during the trip. I lost my job due to Covid and was hoping this would get processed but instead I was given the runaround. Very disappointed and for someone like me who travels a lot, I will not be using this service and I will be sure to let all my travel buddies know about this. Very disappointed.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for choosing Travelex Insurance Services Inc. (“Travelex Insurance”).

We acknowledge your frustration regarding the claim process. It is important to remember that insurance is highly regulated. Documentation is an important part of the policy modification process, as it relates to the Travel Select plan you purchased.

We contacted the Claims Administrator, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company (“BHSIC”). BHSIC indicates that you submitted documentation to support your claim on several dates, with the latest submission occurring on May 13, 2020. Due to the unprecedented volume of claims related to the Covid-19 pandemic, it is currently taking a minimum of 8 weeks, from the time of obtaining final documentation, for BHSIC to adjudicate claims. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

If you have any claim questions, please contact BHSIC at 1-855-205-6054 or by email at travelex.claims@bhspecialty.com, Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 7:00 pm CST.

If you have any questions for Travelex Insurance, please contact us at TISReviews@TravelexInsurance.com.

Amber

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2020

Was as timely as could be with all that is going on these days. Talking to agents was a good experience for information and guidance. Would recommend to friends. Would use again as travel insurance on future trips. Thanks again for all your help.

Original review: June 3, 2020

Original review: May 29, 2020

We had a trip planned to England and Scotland in May. Bought this insurance in the summer before the virus. It was purchase on the advice of our tour agent, so we didn't read the fine print, which was a big mistake. Our trip got canceled not by us, but by the government and Travelex decided they didn't have to pay. We will schedule to go next year but will search for a reputable insurance company.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for choosing Travelex Insurance Services Inc (“Travelex Insurance”).

The Travel Select plan that you purchased is a Named Peril Policy, which means that the policy lists all reasons and exclusions for coverage, and if the situation is listed as an exclusion, then coverage does not apply. The Confirmation of Coverage and the Policy were emailed to you at the time of purchase on March 1, 2020 for your review, which included the benefits, terms, limitations, and exclusions.

In the wake of the rapidly changing and escalating global impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, Travelex Insurance is focusing our teams to respond to your questions and inquiries as soon as possible. Our top priority is servicing our clients and we can assure you Travelex Insurance is dedicated to maintaining the highest level of professional and ethical standards.

We recommend talking to your Traveler Supplier(s), (Perform International), about transferring any monies paid to a new trip. Additionally, to be of service we can offer you a One-Time Date Transfer on your policy, in order to use it for a future trip.

If you would like to obtain a Date Transfer of your policy, you will first need to cancel your claim, rather than appealing the claim decision, with BHSIC. Please contact us at TISReviews@TravelexInsurance.com, so we can help process the cancellation of your claim and apply a One-Time Date Transfer to your policy.

We are in unchartered waters and unprecedented times for the travel industry given the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, which we hope you understand.

Resolution response: May 15, 2020

I wrote a review prior, giving them one star for refusing to refund my funds for the travel policy, payment made at the beginning of March, to go to Israel where already the Covid 19 started and I was not aware of. I fought thru my VISA and after I proved that my hotel and airline payment was refunded, they were kind enough to look at the documents and refund the funds for the insurance policy. I spent hours and hours on hold, but I succeeded and I am very grateful of one of their representative, Monica, who was patient and explained what I needed to do, what to send, understood my frustration and the point I was making, and helped me with this refund. MANY THANKS to CONSUMER AFFAIRS site who really help by posting my review. MANY THANKS and WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST AND TO BE SAFE! GOD BLESS!

Original review: May 11, 2020

I purchased the policy at the beginning of March 2020 for a trip to Israel, for treatment at the Dead Sea, starting May 30 until June 9, 2020. At that time they supposed to be aware of the fact that at the end of February Israel was already affected by the Covid-19 and was putting travelers in quarantine. Why they sold me the policy and refusing now to return my money? I am a 66 years old woman, a breast cancer survivor and considered at high risk. Where am I going when everything was cancelled and nobody knows when this pandemic will stop and when is going to be safe for me to travel?

Being old and due to my health, this was my last planned trip at the Dead Sea. I do not know if I will be able to go next year or the following, in order to get use of the policy. For now I do not appreciate for them to refuse returning my pay, once there is no trip and no services provided. I called them so many times, the hold is unbearable, there is no way to reach them. I will tell all my friends about this horrible experience and horrible travel insurance!

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post about your situation on Consumer Affairs.

We understand the experience surrounding your situation did not meet your expectations. We do empathize with you and your family and understand that the coronavirus has caused a significant disruption on our society.

We will email you directly about your options with the policy.

We appreciate your patience.

Travelex Insurance Services Inc

Resolution response: May 11, 2020

Travelex responded with email and resolved the issue.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I booked three policies for a cruise for my family for May 2019. All cruises were cancelled by the U.S government mandate due to Covid19. I rescheduled the cruise for June 2019 and transferred the insurance to the new date. Again the government mandate cancelled our cruise due to Covid19 and the Travelex policy is they won't change the trip dates a second time. Seems like an exception should be made for Covid 19 like the airlines and cruise lines have done but customer service agent said no. I just lost $295.00.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post about your situation on Consumer Affairs.

We will email you directly about applying a date transfer, to reuse your policy towards a future trip.

We appreciate your patience.

Travelex Insurance Services Inc

Original review: April 8, 2020

My girlfriend and I traveled overseas for 2 months this January and February. She ended up getting really sick in the 2nd month of our trip and we frequently had to go to clinics and urgent cares for her to get checked out. She ended up having to go to the ER one night and a small operation done. $4000 later in medical bills and we were quite nervous. Filed a claim with Travelex with documentation from the Doctors on what happened and our policy covered the whole thing! Tremendous financial and stress relief for us and the process was fairly easy. THANK YOU Travelex.

Original review: April 8, 2020

I was given a prompt refund when my mother tore a tendon in her foot. We were all disappointed that we were not going but the refund allows us to make this trip at another time. The service was especially prompt as my refund came when the COVID-19 stuff was heating up in the world.

Original review: April 7, 2020

All good! I didn't realize that some of my docs had not uploaded. Went back to check to ask what the delay was and as soon as I resubmitted no worries check in the bank. Thank you! Service was great and appreciate the agent I spoke with originally.

Resolution response: April 6, 2020

Spoke with a helpful customer service agent today who resolved this: reissued new policy and issued credit.

Original review: April 5, 2020

We purchased a plan for 2 people in December 2019 for a trip planned for May 2020. Due to coronavirus the trip was cancelled, though we rebooked travel to another destination and date. I reached out to the company in early March and was 1st unable to reach anyone by phone for 2 weeks (their phones were not operative). Then reached out via email. I asked them if we could transfer our policy to the new trip, plus the new trip cost less. I was told, YES, they would do this. I sent them a detailed list of the new charges, their CS person JacLyn again confirmed this would be done.

After waiting 2 weeks and getting NOTHING from them, I opened a ticket with my credit card company refusing to pay and asking for a full refund. I again contacted them, spoke with a supervisor who said, yes they would issue a new policy. I closed the ticket with the credit card company, they issued me a letter on March 15 indicating the ticket was closed. I emailed Travelex, clearly told them the ticket was closed because they claimed they could not issue a new policy or refund until the credit card company closed the "OPEN TICKET".

On March 16th I sent them all the documentation needed and I have yet to received the revised policy, even though they tell consumers they will issue a one time transfer. I have sent them full documentation and they don't reply. This company will do everything not to honor their agreements. Will be opening up a new ticket with my credit card company, requested a FULL refund. This company will not see a penny.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience on Consumer Affairs.

We are happy to hear that you were able to speak to a Customer Solutions Representative and get help with a date transfer on your policy.

We hope that you enjoy your trip and that you think of Travelex the next time you travel.

Amber