Call toll free
4.34/5
Based on 154 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Travelex Insurance Services is a leading travel insurance provider offering a variety of protection plans and optional upgrades to fit your individual travel needs. All Travelex leisure plans include coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay, medical expense benefits, medical evacuation, lost or delayed baggage and more. With over 55 years of experience, our team is among the most experienced in the industry and is committed to helping protect your trip investment. Get a free quote today!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

289 Travelex Insurance Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 15, 2018

I did a lot of comparing before I purchased the Travelex Insurance policy for my upcoming trip. Not only did they offer the best price, but the policy had the best coverage limits in every category. The strongest competitor was Allianz Global Insurance, which I have always used in the past. However, I am now very pleased with the policy limits and price with Travelex. I will continue to use Travelex for future trips.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 13, 2018

Making this purchase for our cruise coverage was so easy. After checking other sites, I found that Travelex Insurance had the best price and was the easiest site to navigate. Now, I know exactly where to go for travel insurance for my next voyage.

Original review: July 12, 2018

This is the fourth time I purchase insurance for a trip. The site is very easy to use. You never know when you need it. My friend got sick on our last cruise, and as you can imagen the cost was very high and the insurance covered it and paid within a reasonable timeframe.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Getting the quote was very easy and the value for the money was great compared to some other plans. The plan provided all the necessary coverages at a great price. Coverage for pre-existing conditions for example was very important for us to have and this plan includes it at no additional cost.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Our experience was good. We use travel insurance regularly but typically one of your competitors. They've always been good to us, even through some minor claims. However, for this trip their prices were too high. Our experience, and your reputation, are good so we went with you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelex Insurance Services?

Original review: July 11, 2018

Please fix your web site so it will WORK for those with Google Chrome as their primary browser! Don't tell me to delete cookies etc and refresh--I know web sites and there's a problem with the way yours works with Chrome--I had the same issue months ago when I used Travel Ex to cover a trip in February--for god's sake fix this! I have exclusively used Travel Ex in the past and have great experience with filing claims and what is covered. I am, however, re-thinking this if I have to go to the trouble of changing my primary browser to something else just to book on your site!

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking your time to express your concerns.

We will forward your information to our Technical Solutions Department so a member of the team can reach out to you. Please provide your contact information to tisreviews@travelexinsurance.com. Your experience with Travelex Insurance is very important to us.

In the meantime, you can always call our Customer Solutions Department, or use our Travelex Insurance App (on both Apple and Android) to purchase a policy.

Thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to insuring all your future trips.

Resolution response: July 16, 2018

The company did respond in a positive manner and I will be submitting a claim and see where it goes from there for the 2 days as I did upgrade my insurance when I initially purchased the policy. Again, the issue was with the claims part of the company/personnel and not the insurance or the initial person who answered the phone and assisted in giving me the number and transferring me to the claims dept./company. That portion was excellent.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Unfortunately the 2 people in claims that I spoke with were less than helpful and actually seemed like I was putting them out asking them questions. Very disappointed but the person who transferred me from your 800 number was polite and helpful.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience and we apologize for any frustrations.

Travelex prides itself on our exemplary customer service and we are happy to hear that the first person you talked to was polite and helpful.

We have contacted the Claim Administrator, who has listened to your phone calls, and they will be providing further coaching and training to their Claim Representatives.

To date, there has not been a claim initiated on your policy. If you need to start this process you can use our Mobile App (on Android or IOS), Website (www.travelexinsurance.com), or call the Claim Department Monday - Friday, 7am-7pm CST, at 1-800-205-6054.

Travelex makes every effort to review all concerns from our travelers. If we can be of further service, please let us know.

We hope you think of Travelex the next time you are looking to insure your travel!

Amber

Original review: July 3, 2018

I have used Travelex currency exchange services before but did not realize that they offered travel insurance packages as well. I was investigating travel insurance options for an upcoming vacation in Europe and noticed Travelex as a provider. I compared the coverages of several providers and Travelex stood out as the best choice in regards to being the most functional with a high price/value offering. In addition, the Travelex online purchasing process was quick and simple - very user friendly. It also presented the coverages in a well defined and easily understood format.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I found the website easy to use to see my options and choose the one that worked best for me. I was able to enter data and order insurance without any issues and got immediate confirmation. It was very easy for a first time user and I would recommend this site to others.

Original review: July 1, 2018

The Travelex website is easy to use, and the various travel insurance plans are thoroughly explained and easy to review. The various travel plans are tailored for each individual traveler, and are also geared to the specific trips a traveler plans to take.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I purchased my policy online. The process was quick and simple. I had heard about Travelex Insurance from my Berkshire Hathaway broker. Then after purchasing a trip from Our Gang Travel they gave me your brochure. I like that the process was painless and simple.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 25, 2018

I filed a claim 5/29/18 and still have not heard on a decision. This is not acceptable and your company should settle claims much faster! When I filed the claim I uploaded all the forms and supporting documents as requested.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to write out your concerns for us.

Travelex strives to make the claim process easy and quick, however sometimes additional documentation is needed to clarify or process a claim. We have talked with your Claim Administrator and been advised that the additional documentation has been received, and the payment was made.

We want to thank you again, and we hope you have a great day!

Original review: June 23, 2018

As always, the website was easy to use, but I did have a slightly different circumstance this time so called the Travelex assistance line. The agent was very friendly, professional, and extremely helpful and I had all my questions answered in a very short time. Travelex is by far the best travel insurance company I have had the opportunity to work with.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Flight Insurance only - Quick, easy and reasonably priced. Reputable Company and trusted worldwide. That is why I use Travelex. Assured of coverage and I have a peace of mind when flying that in the event, GOD forbid, at least I leave financial security to my Love ones. It's worth the purchase (security) even though people believe nothing will happen; I just think it's better to be safe for a few dollars than not.

Original review: June 22, 2018

It was very easy to purchase my Travelex policy online and read the options available in my state. My policy was clear on the contact info should I encounter an emergency on my trip. I was also able to assist my family in FL with purchasing their insurance.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I am a frequent traveler but have only made 1 claim which was handled expeditiously and professionally. My wife and I were returning from a cruise to the Svalbard Archipelago 2 years ago, and our charter flight leaving Longyearbyen was delayed many hours. This resulted in us being diverted to an airport in Northern Norway, and missing our flight home from CDG airport Paris to Miami. We had to purchase a return ticket the following day, incurring hotel and airline ticket expenses that were not cheap. Travelex rapidly resolved this claim in a satisfactory manner.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you so much for your kind words.

It’s important to our company to hear that our claims processes are fair and reimbursement for losses are received promptly. We are glad that you were able to get everything settled after coming home from your trip.

Thank you again and we look forward to insuring all your future trips!

Original review: June 18, 2018

Highly professional service and easy to sign up. I have used before and was pleased with easy signup. Price was competitive with other providers of this type of insurance and that was important also. I have recommended to others in the past.

Original review: June 13, 2018

It was very easy to do this online. Before I purchased online, I had some questions. I spoke to a to lady (I think her name was Kelsey) on the phone and she was so helpful and kind to talk to. The price was most reasonable too.

Original review: June 13, 2018

When I called for clarification on various policies, I had difficulty getting clear answers to specific questions. The person I talked with was focused mostly on up-selling. Her answers were vague and she kept repeating that a more expensive policy was "best," without providing the type of detailed information that would allow me to make my own decision as to what was best for me.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns.

After reviewing the call made to our Customer Solutions department, we are able to confirm that all of your questions were answered correctly based on our policies. It is important to note that all of the benefits are determined at the time of a claim, based on the information and documentation provided, so we are unable to guarantee any coverage or benefits over the phone prior to a claim be processed.

Travelex offers two different policies that have multiple benefits while traveling, our Travel Basic and Travel Select. Our Travel Select policies are normally recommended when traveling internationally, or doing a trip that involves adventurous activity. The Travel Basic policy, while it does offer coverage when traveling international, it does not have any additional benefits when taking trips with adventurous components. We will take time to address your concerns with our Customer Solutions department, however we hope that this helps clarify the answers you were given on the phone.

Thank you again, and we hope you have a great trip!

Original review: June 13, 2018

First of all, getting rid of the yearly policies was a REALLY bad ideas for business travelers. Nevertheless, we went ahead and purchased a single policy for a roundtrip overseas business flight. For AD&D only. When his boss decided at the last minute to extend the trip from June 8th until June 15th... totally out of my husband's control... they told us there was NO WAY to amend the insurance. Really? So Travelex is happy to take your money for a Roundtrip flight... but Heaven forbid you need to amend your return trip home. We used to use them for years. Now we are DONE.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Travelex wants to thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns and suggestions.

Travelex Insurance did experience a change in our products and underwriter in November of 2017. At the current time, we do not have a plan that is available for multiple trips throughout the year. We are aware that there are still travelers who would like this type of plan and are in the process of evaluating options for an annual plan in the future. In reference to changes to the plan you purchased, the Flight Insure policy, can be changed after it is purchased, but it can not be changed after the return date has passed.

In the future should any changes need to be made prior to the return date listed on the policy, you can always call our Customer Solutions Department during business hours, M-F 8:00am-7:00 pm, or leave a message after business hours. You can also email them at CustomerSolutions@TravelexInsurance.com. All requests are based on the date that the email was sent or the date the voicemail was left.

We hope that this helps clarify our procedures when it comes to altering policies after the purchase, and we hope that you consider Travelex for your future trips.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Easy quote and purchase - I have heard only good things about Travelex especially from a lady whose husband became ill on a cruise and they needed to use their insurance. She was extremely happy and only had good things to say. I have bought travel insurance previously but fortunately have never needed to use it.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I did not have to use the plan but the coverages for the price were excellent. I had the peace of mind I needed to purchase the trip knowing that issues with my carriers and providers would not cause me to lose financially. Likewise, having the security of knowing that we were covered medically for services and evac was also key. In the past I experienced an acute injury while traveling internationally that required surgery, so I understand the value first hand. Great job.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I e-mailed several questions I had about your coverage for an upcoming cruise around the Greek islands and received a personal response that was detailed and answered my questions fully. I hope we won't have to use the insurance, but I feel confident Travelex will respond quickly if we do.

Original review: June 10, 2018

As always, it was super easy to apply for Travelex Insurance online. There are side by side comparisons so you can decide which policy fits your needs the best. It is very affordable for the protection offered. Now we can relax and anticipate our upcoming trip.

Original review: June 8, 2018

We have travel/cruised twice a year for the past 6+ years and being in our senior years we ALWAYS purchase Travelex Insurance. While traveling with friends a few years ago, whom we encouraged to also by Travelex insurance, they experienced a medical condition that left them disembarked in a foreign country. Travelx served them well, very well indeed.

We never thought that something like that would ever happen to us, but it did, just 3 months ago while in Sydney Australia in route to catch a cruise ship to New Zealand. My wife was hospitalized there for 10 days and our American medical insurance was useless to us. If we had not had Travel Insurance the hospital would not have admitted her without a VERY VERY large cash deposit. To make matters worse, our cruise ship left without us.

Travelex was wonderful. They handled everything, from the financials to the scheduling and got us home safely after 2 weeks living in stress, in a foreign country. Once home Travelex made us whole again, reimbursing us for all vacation travel expenses, cruise costs, and paid off the hospital and doctors in Sydney Australia. How Wonderful Is That!

Original review: June 7, 2018

I was very content with Travelex Insurance, for the peace of mind to travel. I had a dental problem in Bogota and I was refunded immediately upon my return. Another time I got sick in Dubai and again when I returned I got paid right away. I always recommend Travelex to my friends. Thank you.

Original review: June 6, 2018

My only comment so far is that I had to purchase the policy online because I couldn't get thru to a real person. Kept getting the "all of our agents are busy serving others" message. Other than that, the coverage seems to offer the best price/coverage compared to other policies. Can't vouch for what it's like to make a claim because I haven't taken the trip yet.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

We are currently experiencing higher than normal call volumes which has resulted in longer than normal wait times. However, if you have any questions, you can always email our Customer Solutions department at CustomerSolutions@TravelexInsurance.com . Their goal is to respond to all emails within 24 hours of receiving them.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope you have fun traveling.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I have never had to contact Travelex with any issues but getting set up has always been easy. The site is clear and simple to navigate. You were highly recommended to me by the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine.

Original review: June 6, 2018

It is not easy to locate the page of the Flight only Insurance each time I tried to do it. If you can add an easy to find link, it would be a big plus for anyone who tries to purchase the Flight Only Insurance. Thanks.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to write your concerns.

Travelex strives to make our website easy and quick, for reviewing and purchasing our policies.

We will forward your recommendation to the appropriate department.

However, in the meantime, when purchasing online you can click on ‘Flight Insurance’ on the left side of the page and then click the orange ‘Buy Now’ button, this will allow you to quickly get to just the flight policy.

Alternatively, you can always call our Customer Solutions department at 1-800-228-9792, Monday-Friday, 8:00am – 7:00pm CST. They are able to quickly copy all the information from your previous policy and get you a new policy for your next trip.

Thank you again, and we look forward to insuring all your future travels.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Have used your services many times. Your rates are fair and we have been lucky not to have had any issues with our travels in the past. Hopefully this continues with our latest policy in July 2018. Your website has been easy and quick to use. Will keep using your services in the future. Thank you.

Travelex Insurance Services expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Travelex Insurance Services is a leader in the travel insurance industry. They offer a variety of plans with customizable upgrades so you can find the perfect plan for your trip.

• Variety of protection plan options: They offer various protection plans with clearly laid out coverage levels including Travel Basic, Travel Select, and Travel Max.

• Medical coverage: Get medical expense coverage of up to $100,000 per trip.

• Children travel at no additional cost: With the Travel Select plan, children under the age of 21 are included at no extra charge when accompanied by a covered adult family member.

• Extended trip duration: Single-trip policies will cover vacations of up to 180 days.

• Trip interruption coverage: In the event of an interruption, certain Travelex plans cover up to 150 percent of insured trip cost.

• Best for: leisure, luxury and family trips.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky

Insurance Contributing Editor

Travelex Insurance Services questions and answers

What problem is Travelex Insurance trying to solve?
Travelex Insurance helps protect travelers from unexpected expenses and assists in dealing with unforeseen events which could occur while traveling.
What sets Travelex apart from the competition?
Travelex is extremely proud of our "ExFactor" advantage over the competition which entails our experienced people, excellent protection plans and exceptional customer care. We pride ourselves on the fact that every client, customer, travel agent is treated as a VIP. We understand that many people do not understand travel insurance; our clients can rely on Travelex to provide the most appropriate plan with excellent service before, after and during their trip to be sure their needs are met.
What needs does Travelex fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
The Travelex protection plans offer 24-hour coverage for trip cancellations, flight delays, medical emergencies and evacuations and much more depending on the plan purchased. Many of the Travelex plans provide First Payer Coverage for medical expenses with no deductible. This means Travelex pays first but may recover funds from medical or other collectible insurance plans. Our plans are available through major travel providers including tour operators, cruise lines and thousands of travel agents across the country as well as online at www.travelexinsurance.com.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
Most people do not understand the need for travel insurance. In today's world there are so many uncertainties that can impact their trip investment like trip cancellations due to natural disasters such as volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes; trip delays, sickness, injury, terrorist attacks, delayed baggage and the list goes on. The cost of one of these events would in most cases more than cover the cost of a Travelex protection plan.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Travelex Insurance?
In addition to our travel protection plans, we offer expedited passport services, international driving permits and Travel Solve – our evacuation, security and assistance membership plan designed for a unique market of travelers.
Has Travelex received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
Travelex Insurance Services is a nine-time winner of the Virtuoso Best Specialty Provider Award. This Award is unique in that the Virtuoso travel advisors vote for the winner. The fact that Travelex is continually recognized with this award is a tribute to the quality protection plans and exceptional service we provide every day to travel agents and travelers alike.
How has Travelex Insurance grown or evolved?
Travelex continues to modify and upgrade our plans to meet the needs of today's travelers. The company has progressed through the evolution of travel insurance products which started as simple flight accidental death and dismemberment plans offered mainly through airport counter locations, to today where Travelex offers more travel package plans sold through multiple venues including travel agents, tour operators, cruise lines and online travel agencies.

Our plans have mainly evolved with the needs of the leisure traveling public by including features such as a pre-existing medical waiver on most plans, a family friendly kids free plan, pet insurance provisions and a 'cancel for any reason' upgrade – to name a few.
How does Travelex measure success?
Customer satisfaction is the key success measurement for Travelex Insurance Services. When Travelex is able to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations, our distributors are more likely to sell more insurance, travelers are more likely to become repeat customers and both are more likely to be advocates of our company, attracting more customers for us.

Travelex measures our customer satisfaction through customer feedback surveys, industry review site ratings, agency attrition rate and customer testimonials.

Travel Insurance is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH; NAIC #10952. 1725568

Travelex Insurance Services Company Information