Call toll free
4.42/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Travelex Insurance Services is a leading travel insurance provider offering a variety of protection plans and optional upgrades to fit your individual travel needs. All Travelex leisure plans include coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay, medical expense benefits, medical evacuation, lost or delayed baggage and more. With over 55 years of experience, our team is among the most experienced in the industry and is committed to helping protect your trip investment. Get a free quote today!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

354 Travelex Insurance Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

We ended up buying our policy through the website. Very easy. We really wanted to discuss buying an annual travel policy, so we do not have to buy for each trip, but I realize now that is not feasible. Glad you are there to keep Disney and Princess honest.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

The way certain features of the insurance are described on your website is confusing. However, I asked questions both by phone and by email and am very pleased with both the clarity and speed with which my questions were answered.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

It gives me peace of mind knowing I won't lose thousands of dollars on a pre-paid non-cancelable vacation if something unexpected arises. I did have a claim a few years ago and Travelex paid what was due quickly, efficiently, and without hassle.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I appreciated the ability to get a quote very quickly online. I was able to purchase the policy online. While I could print off the numerous pages online, it would be more expedient and less cumbersome to have a pamphlet describing all my information mailed to me.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

All done online. Experience was okay. I have purchased this exact type of insurance the past 2 years from your company. We've never had a claim. However, this time I was very disappointed at the dramatic increase in cost from past years. I guess it all boiled down to our age, (now 61). I will pay closer attention and shop around in the future.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to put your concerns in writing. We sincerely appreciate you sharing your valuable feedback with us.

The price of our policies is based on Age, Trip Cost, State of Residence, and the Optional Upgrades chosen, at the time of purchase. Should any of these factors change it would also affect the price.

We hope this clarifies your concerns and we appreciate your repeat business!

Have a wonderful day!

Amber

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelex Insurance Services?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

All very good. Bought auto but needed to cancel as rental idiots would not honor your insurance. Refund came immediately. What more could ask? Used Travelex before with good results so I recommend to others.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Easy to get information and acquire insurance online without hassles and competitive pricing for a trip to Central America... ’fortunately’ it was a waste of money as we had no need for it, but reassuring that we were covered in the event of a problem. NO experience with putting the company to the test.

Travelex Insurance Services response

We want to thank you for taking the time to post and we are happy to hear that your trip went smoothly!

However, in the event that something did go wrong, our claims process is now easier than ever. You can start a claim, upload documents, and check the status of your claim, all from your phone using the Travelex app. We also have more traditional options available including our website, email, call, fax, and mail.

Thanks again and we look forward to insuring all your future travel!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I always get travel insurance. I have had to use it once when my husband got sick 2 weeks before a really big trip with air tickets, hotels, transportation and a cruise. I received all of my money and was able to cancel the rest. It was perfect.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

It was relatively easy getting a policy via the internet site. Travelex was recommended by Wirecutter. I spoke to someone on the phone from Travelex to ask a question. Insured trip will not occur for another 7 months, so too early to evaluate actual coverage.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

We didn't use it (very glad of it), but it offers us a peace of mind having it. It was an additional charge to our trip, compared with other it was not the most expensive, we chose it because it is one of Rick Steves's recommendations and because it was not the most expensive.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I was overseas with my wife. She fell and hurt her leg. She had to go to the emergency room and spent all day there. Thank God there was no fracture, but her leg was swollen and she couldn't walk. All Hospital expenses were reimbursed. However the Doctor recommended that she needs to sit with elevated feet. Therefore I requested an upgrade for her to business or first class seat which they denied, and only approved her for premium economy class. Her pain was unbearable to sit with swollen legs for a 10 hour flight and feet down. It took her another few days to be in bed before she was able to walk normally. I really feel that they are not reliable and didn't stand up to their commitment to us.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to put your concerns in writing.

Your customer experience is very important to us at Travelex.
We would like to contact the Claims Department on your behalf.

Please email us with the first and last name on your policy and your confirmation number at TISReviews@travelexinsurance.com.

Amber

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

For the reason of not using the insurance and because I did not have a personal experience, that was great. It was a great peace of mind to travel knowing we had the security of insurance and allowed us to focus on the experience.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I contacted Travelex to find out how to start a claim and all of the information I needed was very clearly shown on the webpage. When I called Travelex while in Germany to obtain this information, the agent on the line was also very helpful! I have already started referring my family and friends to Travelex for their travel insurance needs.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

So far, so good. Leave in about a week and hope all goes well. Having insurance helps easy many travel fears. Hope we don't need to use it. Do wish there was a middle-level plan and coverage above the basic one.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

The process was very easy. I had one question, which I called in to the attendant. She was very nice & easily answered my question. I signed the contract. Easy as 1-2-3. I will call in & add my flights and possible tour additions as I make them.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

This trip was a driving trip thru many countries in Eastern Europe. We purchased this plan but fortunately we did not have to make any claims this time. We have had medical claims in the past on other policies and were paid to us timely.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

The staff was very informed and helpful with my questions. The website was very easy to navigate. The form was very simple and easy to fill out and complete. When I travel in the future I will use Travelex. I will recommend Travelex to any of my friends traveling.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I always purchase trip protection with Travelex Insurance Services whenever I had traveled outside the country. It includes everything I need, even trip cancellation. And also it has a good price deal. I like they add trip cancellation in the basic plan, in case customers need to cancel the trip.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Using your online service is efficient but I have getting concerned about the cost of the insurance. It is partly due to my age (73) but I may not be able use your firm in the future if the cost becomes uncompetitive--which it is on the verge of doing.

Travelex Insurance Services response

We hope this clarifies your concerns and we appreciate your repeat business!

Have a wonderful day!

Amber

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Great help when I called as website was a little confusing. I couldn’t answer all questions as I didn’t have info. Associate said I didn’t need all. Would be nice to know. She said they all didn’t need to be filled in.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I bought 3 plans (for 3 different states). For the second plan the website shows the option of additional coverage's like medical evacuation (which it did not list as a choice for the first plan I bought), so I assumed none was included and bought additional only to find out that I was already plenty covered. I left feeling like you were not clear and because of that I bought more insurance than needed which frustrated me.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post on Consumer Affairs.

In November of 2017, our products changed, which brought some variances and availability of the benefits and upgrades by state. Our plans are now underwritten by Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company.

We can understand your frustration, and because you are still within your 15 Day Review Period, our Customer Solutions department can assist in removing any purchased upgrades that you no longer want included on the policy. They can be reached at 1-800-228-9792, Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 7:00pm CST.

We appreciate your feedback and will take your suggestions into consideration for future plan changes. Thank you again, and we look forward to insuring all your future trips.

Amber

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have used Travelex Insurance Services for many years, but last year there has been reduction of coverage and limits of coverage, which was very disappointing. I even contacted this company to ask what the heck happened, and was told that the company had a new underwriter. Although I stuck with Travelex, I am guessing maybe you lost business due to the reduction in coverage from what you used to carry.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Consumer Affairs.

Our products did change in November of 2017, when we changed underwriters to Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company. This change also brought changes to the benefits and benefit amounts.

In addition, we also offer 2 other plans, Travel Basic and Travel Select, with customizable upgrades such as: Air Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Cancel for Any Reason, and Additional Medical Coverage.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Solutions Representatives, for questions and clarifications, at 1-800-228-9792, Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 7:00pm CST.

We want to thank you again for your post and your repeat business, and we look forward to insuring all your future trips.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

This is the third time we booked our travel insurance with Travelex. The first time my husband had a stroke while we were on vacation in Hawaii. Our experience was top notch. Their customer service was wonderful and the On Call Intl that they partner with if you need a rescue nurse to travel home with and to make new airline reservations was fantastic. I will always use Travelex for our travel insurance needs and always recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Having use Travelex Insurance Service for 8 international trips and was very pleased with the ease of applying and quick response with policy and confirmation. One trip the person traveling with me had an emergency medical problem just days before the trip. Travelex worked us to complete all necessary forms and quickly repaid all expenses of the trip. I highly recommend Travelex Insurance Service.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

The person we talked to was very helpful and courteous. She explained everything we asked her about related to the coverage. We actually ordered the insurance through your web site and were pleased with how easy it was to navigate. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I hurt my knee and was unable to participate in a hiking trip I had insured. I provided the backup documentation and received my full reimbursement without delay. I was very satisfied with the follow through and response time. It was an expensive trip so I was very happy that I had insured with Travelex. I will continue to do so.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

When traveling, always get travel insurance. Looked up best ones, this came out as a great deal for the price. Can't beat it. Love having peace of mind when traveling abroad. You hope you don't need but it's great to know you have it.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I found the purchasing and registration for a comprehensive plan for an upcoming trip to Europe was easy and without complications. The website had good explanations and answers for my questions. The cost of the plan was fair and less expensive than other travel insurance company plans I researched. So far, I am very satisfied with Travelex and will recommend it to others traveling.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

The experience talking to your representative was totally positive. She answered my questions and guided me toward the coverage that I asked for. Your website was easy to navigate and a pleasure to use. I also found that your rates are very competitive.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I had a very hard time with my most recent insurance purpose. There were multiple website glitches and each of the 4 or so calls I made had very long hold times. I believe there used to be the possibility of live chat which would have been useful. Overall it seems that your commitment to serving your customers is very low.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Travelex would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We do apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced when you were trying to purchase a policy online, and when you called our Customer Solutions Department. Travelex prides ourselves on our exemplary customer service and we appreciate your comments to help improve our customers experience.

As a reminder, you do have the option to purchase a policy over the phone with our Customer Solutions Department, who can help make the process easy and answer any questions you might have about the policy benefits. The Customer Solutions Team is available Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 7:00 pm CST, at 1-800-228-9792.

Thank you again, and we hope you think of Travelex Insurance the next time you travel.

Kind Regards.

Travelex Insurance Services expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Travelex Insurance Services is a leader in the travel insurance industry. They offer a variety of plans with customizable upgrades so you can find the perfect plan for your trip.

• Variety of protection plan options: They offer various protection plans with clearly laid out coverage levels including Travel Basic, Travel Select, and Travel Max.

• Medical coverage: Get medical expense coverage of up to $100,000 per trip.

• Children travel at no additional cost: With the Travel Select plan, children under the age of 21 are included at no extra charge when accompanied by a covered adult family member.

• Extended trip duration: Single-trip policies will cover vacations of up to 180 days.

• Trip interruption coverage: In the event of an interruption, certain Travelex plans cover up to 150 percent of insured trip cost.

• Best for: leisure, luxury and family trips.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

Travelex Insurance Services questions and answers

What problem is Travelex Insurance trying to solve?
Travelex Insurance helps protect travelers from unexpected expenses and assists in dealing with unforeseen events which could occur while traveling.
What sets Travelex apart from the competition?
Travelex is extremely proud of our "ExFactor" advantage over the competition which entails our experienced people, excellent protection plans and exceptional customer care. We pride ourselves on the fact that every client, customer, travel agent is treated as a VIP. We understand that many people do not understand travel insurance; our clients can rely on Travelex to provide the most appropriate plan with excellent service before, after and during their trip to be sure their needs are met.
What needs does Travelex fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
The Travelex protection plans offer 24-hour coverage for trip cancellations, flight delays, medical emergencies and evacuations and much more depending on the plan purchased. Many of the Travelex plans provide First Payer Coverage for medical expenses with no deductible. This means Travelex pays first but may recover funds from medical or other collectible insurance plans. Our plans are available through major travel providers including tour operators, cruise lines and thousands of travel agents across the country as well as online at www.travelexinsurance.com.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
Most people do not understand the need for travel insurance. In today's world there are so many uncertainties that can impact their trip investment like trip cancellations due to natural disasters such as volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes; trip delays, sickness, injury, terrorist attacks, delayed baggage and the list goes on. The cost of one of these events would in most cases more than cover the cost of a Travelex protection plan.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Travelex Insurance?
In addition to our travel protection plans, we offer expedited passport services, international driving permits and Travel Solve – our evacuation, security and assistance membership plan designed for a unique market of travelers.
Has Travelex received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
Travelex Insurance Services is a nine-time winner of the Virtuoso Best Specialty Provider Award. This Award is unique in that the Virtuoso travel advisors vote for the winner. The fact that Travelex is continually recognized with this award is a tribute to the quality protection plans and exceptional service we provide every day to travel agents and travelers alike.
How has Travelex Insurance grown or evolved?
Travelex continues to modify and upgrade our plans to meet the needs of today's travelers. The company has progressed through the evolution of travel insurance products which started as simple flight accidental death and dismemberment plans offered mainly through airport counter locations, to today where Travelex offers more travel package plans sold through multiple venues including travel agents, tour operators, cruise lines and online travel agencies.

Our plans have mainly evolved with the needs of the leisure traveling public by including features such as a pre-existing medical waiver on most plans, a family friendly kids free plan, pet insurance provisions and a 'cancel for any reason' upgrade – to name a few.
How does Travelex measure success?
Customer satisfaction is the key success measurement for Travelex Insurance Services. When Travelex is able to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations, our distributors are more likely to sell more insurance, travelers are more likely to become repeat customers and both are more likely to be advocates of our company, attracting more customers for us.

Travelex measures our customer satisfaction through customer feedback surveys, industry review site ratings, agency attrition rate and customer testimonials.

Travel Insurance is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH; NAIC #10952. 1725568

Travelex Insurance Services Company Information