4.53/5
  • 1 star
Based on 165 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Travelex Insurance Services is a leading travel insurance provider offering a variety of protection plans and optional upgrades to fit your individual travel needs. All Travelex leisure plans include coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay, medical expense benefits, medical evacuation, lost or delayed baggage and more. With over 55 years of experience, our team is among the most experienced in the industry and is committed to helping protect your trip investment. Get a free quote today!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 5, 2017

171 Travelex Insurance Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Very helpful personnel and knowledgeable with patience. I was guided through the process and had all my questions answered. Everything (the process and the benefits) was explained to me with all the possible options available for the coverage that I was looking for. Thank you.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Two days ago we had to cancel a trip to Disney (3 hours) after making our reservations and purchasing travel insurance. Travelex is demanding a Doctor's note to honor our insurance coverage. Absent a note from the Doctor, they will NOT refund our money. Does anyone else NOT have time for this nonsense? I'm sure our family Physician feels the same way! Don't waste your time or your money with Travelex.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017
I prefer buying your flight insurance from a kiosk at the airport but I regret that this service has been discontinued. I wish you would reinstate the airport on-site service and also because I was not able to fill out the online form on my Android phone. All my email addresses were all rejected as not valid. The form also had issues with filling it out. The blank space (to fill in) wouldn't let me scroll down to choose the correct country. Fortunately my husband had a computer so we were able to fill it out. Finding the form to buy insurance on your website was also extremely hard. It was buried under layers of other non relevant insurance offers.

Otherwise have been buying your flight insurance since 1971.

Travelex Insurance Services response

We thank you for taking the time to put your concerns and suggestions in writing.

We value your feedback regarding easier access with filling out policy applications online and will certainly forward your suggestions to the appropriate party for consideration.

The Customer Solutions Representatives (CS Rep) can clone past policies, which automatically saves the previous traveler information. The CS Rep can easily remove and or add travelers for each trip as well as enter the specific data for a trip, quickly. The CS Rep can purchase the policy over the phone on your behalf or they can email you a quote. The quote will have all the traveler information and a link to Buy It Online, if you wish to review the plan details prior to purchasing.

We trust we have addressed your concerns and we hope you think of Travelex the next time you need travel insurance.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Had a claim with Travelex in the past and had excellent service. We are glad to be a repeat customer with the order we placed last week. One good turn deserves another. We have also recommended Travelex to our traveling companions.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Although our six week European trip does not start until April 14th of 2019, Travelex was extremely prompt in sending my policy to me and I am pleased that we have coverage as one never knows what will happen on a trip. We usually don't have any bad things happening on our trips, but have had the occasional mishap, and it is really good to know that we are covered.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelex Insurance Services?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

This is the second time we have purchased insurance from Travelex. The first time we ended up using it and had no issues at all. Great people to deal with. We did not need to use the insurance the second time. We will not travel without it. We have also got our family to purchase insurance thru Travelex for their big 2 week cruse they just went on. Thank you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

We purchased Travelex insurance for a European trip 3 weeks before we were due to leave and about halfway through completing our trip hotel bookings. A week before we were due to leave my wife experienced prolonged dizzy spells and nausea. She'd had these before but they had always cleared up after a few hours. This time they continued for days so we went to the doctor who (for the first time diagnosed "Meniere's disease and recommended against travel). Travelex denied our claim. Be aware of the fine print - if you see a doctor for any reason within the 60 days before your departure date they will deny coverage. When I asked, "Can you at least refund our premium since you declined coverage and had no risk?" Their answer was "nope - read the fine print". My advice? Don't waste your money!

Travelex Insurance Services response

We want to thank you for taking the time to put your concerns in writing and are sorry to hear of your frustration.

The Travel Select policy is a Named Peril Policy, which means that the policy outlines the coverages included, and any reason for cancellation must be listed and occur after the effective date of the policy, which is 12:01 am, the day after purchase.

The policy that you purchased, includes 17 different covered reasons for trip cancellation. However, it also includes exclusions such as for

Pre-existing conditions, as defined by the policy. Your policy did provide Trip Cancellation protection, had you canceled due to any of the covered reasons, including a sickness or injury that was not a pre-existing condition.

Unfortunately, due to the plan’s specific covered reasons and exclusions as described in the Description of Coverage, we are unable to consider a premium refund past the Ten Day Free Look Period.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I had to consult a doctor for pain in a previously broken hip. After consulting a doctor for pain in a previously broken hip Travelex reimbursed me for the cost without any difficulty. Thank you for the prompt acknowledgment of the claim.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review.

It’s important to our company to hear that our claims processes are fair and reimbursement for losses are received promptly.

We look forward to insuring all of your future trips.

Thank you, again, and have a great day!

Marcy

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

My only comment is in the quotation process. I reviewed your literature and price chart before I received the quote. The quote was quite a bit higher than the rate chart showed. When I asked why, they explained that due to the length of my trip, there was an additional daily charge. I accept the explanation, but I wish that was explained in your brochure or on the quotation. I had to request an explanation from your site. Thank you.

Travelex Insurance Services response
Thank you for taking the time to post and we appreciate the excellent rating!
In regard to your concern for the additional charge you were not expecting, please keep in mind, this is noted in the Travel Select brochure under the Rate Chart. In addition, if the travel dates are entered correctly on the Quotation, the extra day charge would have been included within the total plan rate.
In the future, I’m excited to advise that there is no additional charge for the extra days over 30 on our newly updated Travel Select plan, underwritten by Berkshire Hathaway Insurance Company.

I hope this explanation is helpful and we look forward to doing business with you again.

Travelex Admin

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I am really please with the services I receive and I sell to my clients. As a home base agent, I appreciate that I can supply my clients with assurance that their travel vacation is covered thereby giving them a peace of mind.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback!

We appreciate the excellent rating. We hope you will think of Travelex the next time you and your clients are looking to insure your travel.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Marcy

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Making the claim was easy. Getting reimbursed was fast. The only thing that prevented me from giving a 5 star rating was I asked for a hospital and the one that was recommended to me had staff that did not speaking English. I should have been told to go to the University Hospital where the staff spoke English.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Though I didn't think vacation insurance was necessary, after one experience where I actually had to use it, it's now part of my vacation planning! Thanks to an incident where my mom got sick on a cruise and we relied on the insurance, it was indeed a Godsend! From that point forward, I have purchased your insurance religiously when I'm planning a big trip. Thanks for the ease with reimbursement for the aforementioned incident and I hope I never have to use you again... Though I will have it just in case. ;o)

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I have not used my Travelex policy yet because my trip will occur in Nov/Dec 2017; so no experience to report. However, I found Travelex offering and policy choices to be thorough and complete, very professional, and reasonable in price. I hope/expect that any issues that arise whereby I need the benefits of your policy plan, will be administered and provided in a manner befitting the quality of your offering and presentation.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I found the policy to misleading; in reality there was no coverage for me even though my bag which was delayed 4 days--the luggage started out in the coverage period. Evidently since it was bound for my final destination, the coverage stopped at midnight of the coverage. The sundries etc that I was forced to buy--about $60-- had to be out of pocket. Policy is unclear for the consumer.

Hello,

We thank you for taking the time to put your concerns in writing and we are sorry to hear of your frustration.

I have contacted the Claims Administrator on your behalf and this email is to clarify why the Claim Administrator denied your claim for Baggage Delay benefits.

The JustAirTicket travel protection plan purchased offers coverage while you are traveling on a covered trip.

The Description of Coverage was emailed to you, at the email provided, when the policy was purchased on November 2, 2016 at 11:36pm. The Description of Coverage includes the benefits, coverages, and limitations, and it states the following:

Baggage Delay Benefits
We will reimburse you up to the amount shown in the Schedule for the cost of reasonable additional clothing and personal articles purchased by you, if your Baggage is delayed for 12 hours or more during your Covered Trip. We will also reimburse you up to $25 for expenses incurred during your Covered Trip to expedite the return of your delayed Baggage.

This coverage terminates upon your arrival Home or to your original scheduled destination.

When Coverage Ends
Your coverage automatically ends on the earlier of:
1. the date the Covered Trip is completed;
2. the Scheduled Return Date;
3. cancellation of the Covered Trip covered by the plan;

4. your arrival at the return destination on a round-trip, or the destination on a one-way trip.

The claim documents received by our Claim Administrator reflect that the items being claimed were purchased after you arrived home and after your coverage ended; therefore no reimbursement is due.

Travelex makes every effort to review all concerns from our clients and we hope that this additional explanation is of assistance. If you have any questions in the meantime, please feel free to contact the Claim Administrator at 1-866-968-2061.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Online process was easy to use and very clear. Information and confirmation were available virtually immediately. There is a handy "wallet card" on the Confirmation of Coverage document that is designed to print two-sided for cutting out to use as a summary card on your trip.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Easy to purchase. Affordable for such great piece of mind. Website was easy to navigate. The options offered were wide and diverse. There were choices for any type and amount of coverage you want. Beneficiaries were easy to name and prices are fair for the level of coverage you receive.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Not only did I find out I had cancer a month before I was to leave for Europe, the insurance I purchased from Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company through Travelex is refusing to pay the claim. A nurse that filled out form made a mistake on dates but it was subsequently corrected with a letter from the Dr. They are using the mistake to deny the claim. I even sent copy of biopsy. I later heard they do this type thing all the time. Careful dealing with this company.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Travelex appreciates you bringing any concerns to our attention and we are sorry to hear of your frustration.

With regards to your concern about the request to the physician for your medical records, insurance is highly regulated and in order to confirm coverage, claim forms and documentation (including medical records) are an important part of the claim process. They are used to validate coverage, as it relates to the specific conditions listed in the plan purchased.

We empathize with your situation. However, given the inconsistencies and conflicting information on file, in order to further review your claim our Claims Administrator requires the physician’s medical records. The medical records are needed to clarify the medical documentation previously submitted.

Travelex makes every effort to review all concerns from our clients and we hope this provides clarification.

Marcy

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Your service is easy to use and pay experience upon a loss has been prompt and efficient. However, booked directly means that TA commission is additional margin to you and it would be both fair and appreciated if in some way that was credited to people who book directly online.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post!

We appreciate the excellent rating and your patronage for over the past 10 years.
Unfortunately since our plans are highly regulated by the Department of Insurance, the rates are the same regardless of where you purchase a travel protection plan from.

We look forward to insuring all your future trips.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

My experience was very good. I purchased insurance online and all went well. We have purchased insurance from Travelex several times. We have made two claims & they were handled quickly & professionally & we were reimbursed as promised. Thanks!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 27, 2017
I broke my teeth and they said my insurance did not cover as not US citizens but when you sell doesn't say nothing and actually they ask the country... Horrible!

After a day in phone I did from my pocket back in Brazil. Never will recommend this.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Easy to use website, no long wait when phoning in, friendly and helpful advice from customer service. The company is highly rated by Consumer Reports. The travel insurance coverage without trip cancellation is priced competitively. Adding trip cancellation increases the cost too much for me to take advantage of that portion.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

The online insurance registration process was quick... Easy to follow. This is my 2nd time using your services. I would definitely recommend Travelex to anyone. The rates were much lower than others. I will plan on using this service in the future. Great!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

Agent was clear and concise. She was friendly and took time to explain exactly what I was purchasing. I would recommend to a friend. The rate was better than the competition. I only needed coverage in the event of a death of my mother who is elderly. A friend bought my ticket and I didn't want her to get stuck with a hefty bill for services not used and non-refundable.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I hope that I don't have to use your product! Your company got good reviews, and the purchasing experience was easy and straight-forward. I've purchased travel insurance from you before, and that was one reason I returned to Travelex for my upcoming trip. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

One hour before leaving for the airport I realized that we had not purchased travel insurance for a trip to Cancun. Within 15 minutes I had a policy in hand. Suitcase ready. The website was easy to navigate and the choices were clear. We are safe at home now having had no travel incidents, but also vacationed with a peace of mind.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post!

We appreciate the kind words and love to hear that we were able to help you travel with peace of mind.

We look forward to insuring all your future travels.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I found your website clear and easy to navigate. I did what was needed and left site with no issues. The instructions were clear, and the document copies were in my e-mail quickly. I cannot see a better way to purchase coverage. I hope that I do not need to make use of the policy!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I called because I need additional help to be sure I was filling out information online correctly. The lady that helped me stayed suggested that she stay on the line while I completed the form to make sure I had no additional questions.

No response received
Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I do not have an order number because one of your operators failed to tell me the policy did not go through after I gave her my credit card number. I had to quickly grab another policy online the night before.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns, we are sorry to hear about your frustration.

I did contact our Customer Solutions Department, on your behalf, to review the call, as we strive to provide exemplary customer service. While they did provide you with the confirmation number, we did also confirm that there was a bad connection during this call.

In our system, we do have two duplicate policies for you. The first policy was purchased on July 21, 2017, with our Customer Solutions Representative, and the second policy on July 23, 2017, which was purchased online. The Confirmation of Coverage and the Description of Coverage were both emailed to you at the time of each purchase, along with the confirmation numbers.

One of our Customer Solutions Representatives cancelled the second policy on Thursday August 10, 2017. We refunded the travel protection plan premium back to the Mastercard ending in 5805. You should receive the refund within the next 5 to 10 business days, depending on your banking institution.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Solutions Department if you have any questions. They are available at 1-800-228-9792, Monday-Friday, 8am-7pm CST.

Travelex makes every effort to review all concerns from our clients. If we can be of further service, please let us know. We hope you think of Travelex the next time you are looking to insure your travel!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

My son was flying overseas to the U.K. for soccer and at the last minute the organization he was traveling with informed us they would not be purchasing travel insurance for the full team. In a matter of minutes I was able to obtain travel insurance for my son online. I was very happy to find an easy online solution which saved me time as I prepared for his trip.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I trust Travelex. They paid a claim when I was sick traveling in Europe. This trip I emailed ahead for customer service and they were very prompt in their response. I wouldn't use any other insurance company when I travel.

Travelex Insurance Services questions and answers

What problem is Travelex Insurance trying to solve?
Travelex Insurance helps protect travelers from unexpected expenses and assists in dealing with unforeseen events which could occur while traveling.
What sets Travelex apart from the competition?
Travelex is extremely proud of our "ExFactor" advantage over the competition which entails our experienced people, excellent protection plans and exceptional customer care. We pride ourselves on the fact that every client, customer, travel agent is treated as a VIP. We understand that many people do not understand travel insurance; our clients can rely on Travelex to provide the most appropriate plan with excellent service before, after and during their trip to be sure their needs are met.
What needs does Travelex fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
The Travelex protection plans offer 24-hour coverage for trip cancellations, flight delays, medical emergencies and evacuations and much more depending on the plan purchased. Many of the Travelex plans provide First Payer Coverage for medical expenses with no deductible. This means Travelex pays first but may recover funds from medical or other collectible insurance plans. Our plans are available through major travel providers including tour operators, cruise lines and thousands of travel agents across the country as well as online at www.travelexinsurance.com.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
Most people do not understand the need for travel insurance. In today's world there are so many uncertainties that can impact their trip investment like trip cancellations due to natural disasters such as volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes; trip delays, sickness, injury, terrorist attacks, delayed baggage and the list goes on. The cost of one of these events would in most cases more than cover the cost of a Travelex protection plan.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Travelex Insurance?
In addition to our travel protection plans, we offer expedited passport services, international driving permits and Travel Solve – our evacuation, security and assistance membership plan designed for a unique market of travelers.
Has Travelex received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
Travelex Insurance Services is a nine-time winner of the Virtuoso Best Specialty Provider Award. This Award is unique in that the Virtuoso travel advisors vote for the winner. The fact that Travelex is continually recognized with this award is a tribute to the quality protection plans and exceptional service we provide every day to travel agents and travelers alike.
How has Travelex Insurance grown or evolved?
Travelex continues to modify and upgrade our plans to meet the needs of today's travelers. The company has progressed through the evolution of travel insurance products which started as simple flight accidental death and dismemberment plans offered mainly through airport counter locations, to today where Travelex offers more travel package plans sold through multiple venues including travel agents, tour operators, cruise lines and online travel agencies.

Our plans have mainly evolved with the needs of the leisure traveling public by including features such as a pre-existing medical waiver on most plans, a family friendly kids free plan, pet insurance provisions and a 'cancel for any reason' upgrade – to name a few.
How does Travelex measure success?
Customer satisfaction is the key success measurement for Travelex Insurance Services. When Travelex is able to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations, our distributors are more likely to sell more insurance, travelers are more likely to become repeat customers and both are more likely to be advocates of our company, attracting more customers for us.

Travelex measures our customer satisfaction through customer feedback surveys, industry review site ratings, agency attrition rate and customer testimonials.

Travel Insurance is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH; NAIC #10952. 1725568

Travelex Insurance Services Company Information