Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We have used Travelex for various kinds of travel all over the world. On the two occasions that we made claims, we were pleasantly surprised at how easy and prompt it was. Travelex does not ask an unreasonable amount of questions or require endless documentation. Thanks Travelex for your good service!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Travel insurance for health outside the USA - Easily understood information provided on the phone. Well informed agent answered all questions. Clear concise information was given. Email confirmation arrived soon after purchase over the phone. Will use again when traveling outside the United States. Thanks for the good service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The website was very clear, and the customer service representative I spoke with on the phone was very helpful. I did not need to make a claim, but the enrollment process was easy and I received my order confirmation almost immediately. My only issue is that plans don't cover the theft of property from an automobile, and travelers who take road trips often have no choice but to leave their belongings in their vehicles at times.

Travelex Insurance Services

Thank you for taking the time to post!

I’m glad to hear that your experience with our Customer Solutions Representatives was prompt and concise.
The price of our policies are based on Age, Trip Cost, Length of Stay, and the Optional Upgrades chosen, at the time of purchase.

Should any of these factors change it would also affect the price.

I want to thank you, again, for thinking of us for your trip, and we look forward to insuring all your future trips!

Have a wonderful day!

Amber

Original review: June 14, 2017

I was pleased to have prompt service and was given good information about a variety of insurance possibilities. I thought the costs were very high for the select insurance but found the basic insurance inadequate for my needs. My last experience with Travelex was good so I am trying them again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Easy to complete application and get a quote online. You just have to figure your expected costs including airfare, hotel, car rental, train fares, and any tours that you may book. Once you figure your expected costs, you are seconds away from getting an accurate quote. From the quote, you are directed to the order site to complete your purchase.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The process was very easy to understand and to order. The insurance is more affordable than I thought and gives me peace of mind for my upcoming trip. The agent was very thorough in explaining and prompt to email the quote so I could proceed with the purchase. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelex Insurance Services?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have used Travelex for years, many flights. Thank goodness I have never had an occasion to file a claim but the service is excellent, fairly priced and the site is very easy to use. Good product and I have recommended it many times.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was helped by Ms. **. She was knowledgeable, courteous and explained everything in detail. Wished everybody would be like her. Great service. Thank you Charlene. We have had travel insurance with you before and luckily did not have to use the insurance. It does give a sense of security.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I am elderly and have difficulty following the prompts to fill out the form to purchase insurance. On 5/24/17 I called your 800# and a lovely lady helped me purchase the insurance I wanted. She was helpful, courteous and knowledgeable. It was a pleasure to work with her. Unfortunately, I did not keep my notes and do not have her name. I will use this method when I make future purchases of your insurance.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I experienced kind and caring customer service representatives! I had to make a change to my policy and both representatives were informative and helpful in assisting me with picking out the policy that worked best for my upcoming vacation to Antarctica.

Travelex Insurance Services

Thank you for taking the time to post!

We appreciate the kind words and we love to hear that our Customer Solutions Representatives were helpful.

We look forward to insuring all your future trips.

Original review: June 3, 2017

Exemplary service by the representative I spoke with on the telephone. Reasonable and competitively priced product for the coverage we required. This is the second time we have utilized Travelex and plan to continue to do so for any future international travel.

Travelex Insurance Services

Thank you for taking your time to tell us your concerns, and we are sorry to hear your frustrations.

When the policy is purchased online, you are immediately given your confirmation number on the screen to confirm your purchase.

We also provide the Confirmation of Coverage as your receipt and we deliver it to you in the manner in which you requested, when you purchased the policy.

In the future, you can always call our Customer Solutions Center and purchase over the phone at 1-800-228-9792.

Our Customer Solutions Representative can make sure the Confirmation of Coverage is sent to you by both email and mail.

Thank you for your purchase and we hope you have a great trip!

Original review: June 3, 2017

My complaint is that the transaction was finalized without any indication that the purchase had gone through successfully. I wasn't given a policy number and there was no follow up email giving me one. I had to contact you to get it. Why not give your customers an email confirmation even when the choice is to have policy mailed??

Travelex Insurance Services

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns.

We will personally reach out to the claims department, on your behalf, to obtain additional information regarding your claim.

Once we are able to review your situation, we will email you directly.

If you have any questions in the meantime, please feel free to contact us at TISReviews@travelexinsurance.com.

Amber

Original review: May 31, 2017

Got a letter asking for incident report from airline... Airline wont get in middle of insurance claim. Just a way for insurance company to get away from paying for a valid claim. We filed to receive reimbursement for additional travel expenses incurred. We purchased insurance for situations like this: that are outside our control and cause additional expenses to be incurred and felt our request to clearly be within the spirit of the policy. The amount requested was also nominal considering the cost of the policy. Will switch to a different travel insurance company for future trips. This insurance is worthless.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Luckily, I did not need to process a claim while I was traveling, but I did call to ask some questions before I left. The woman I spoke with was very courteous and helpful. I would purchase from this company again.

Travelex Insurance Services

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I have escalated your experience to our Customer Service Department.

They will give you a call within the next 1 - 2 business days, to help fix your policy, in order to reflect the coverage you wish to have for your trip.

Amber

Original review: May 20, 2017

When I originally priced the insurance, I was told if I quoted the price of my ticket, it would reduce the cost of the insurance. The quote that was given was $35.00 for the plan I eventually purchased but my purchase price was $65.00. The system would not let me put a $0 cost of the trip.

I had a good experience ordering the policy. The REAL evaluation comes IF I have to file a claim. I have purchased many Travelex policies of the years and have fortunately never had to actually use one. Hope your claims service is as good as your purchasing service. I do like that you have many different plans and options.

Travelex Insurance Services

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback!

We are so happy to hear about your experience, with our website, and look forward to insuring all your future trips.

Amber

Original review: May 16, 2017

I chose this company for travel insurance because of the great ratings that they receive. It was easy to navigate their website to see what my options were and to find answers to any questions. Selection and price were perfect and ordering could not have been easier. My documents came in the mail soon after. I have not taken my trip yet and of course hope to not need my insurance, but I feel more confident now that I have this insurance.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Thank you for the outstanding service your team members provided. They are very patient and know how to best assist clients. Each time I called for clarification, they assisted me in getting the best policy that would protect my family during our upcoming trip to Central America.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have purchased travel insurance through Travelex previously. Online information made it easy to compare to other options. Calls (2) for very specific information were answered efficiently and thoughtfully. We are pleased with our purchase... and, hopefully, will not need it... but glad we have good coverage!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The plans are very affordable especially for the budget conscious and benefits (if you need them) are great and especially affordable if you're traveling internationally or as a family. I just wish I knew about this company before my first trip.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was happy with the person who took my call and explained my policy benefits and some of the process should I have to make a claim. I did not receive anything from Travelex in the mail yet like I thought I would. My trip starts May 20th.

Travelex Insurance Services

Thank you for taking the time to post a review!

In looking at your purchase on April 27, 2017 at 3:16pm, the original request was to send your Confirmation of Coverage and Description of Coverage (COC/DOC) via email.

I see that you called our Customer Solutions Representative on Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 12:48pm and asked for the COC/DOC to be mailed to you. Keep in mind the U.S. Postal service can take approximately 3-7 days to have mail delivered. Hopefully by now you have also received your COC/DOC documents in the mail.

Should you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact Travelex at 1-800-819-9004.

Enjoy your trip and we look forward to servicing your travel insurance needs in the future.

Original review: May 6, 2017

The person I spoke with was knowledgeable and courteous, the same as previous trips. However, I have not yet received the document in the mail as requested as I do not have a printer. Note I am scheduled to leave 12 May. It may be the US Mail as I have not yet received my updated passport!

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: June 8, 2017

Travelex initially denied my travel claim because it was not covered within the policy. I thought it should have been covered because the reason for the claim was so similar to other reasons that are covered by the policy. After noting my original Consumer Affairs review, Travelex got in touch and resolved my claim to my satisfaction. The only reason I did not rate them higher is that it took 9 months to get to a satisfactory resolution.

Travelex Insurance Services

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience.

We will personally reach out to the claims department, on your behalf, to obtain additional info regarding your claim.

Once we are able to review your situation, we will email you directly.

Original review: May 6, 2017

We filed to receive reimbursement for additional travel expenses incurred when our flight was delayed causing us to miss our connection. We were repeatedly required to provide the reason for the delay (not easy to get from an airline) and when the reason was finally obtained, it was technically not within the policy (airport delays). We purchased insurance for situations like this: that are outside our control and cause additional expenses to be incurred and felt our request to clearly be within the spirit of the policy. The amount requested was also nominal considering the cost of the policy. Will switch to a different travel insurance company for future trips.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We are planning a trip to Ireland and one of the most important aspects of planning is to ensure that you have proper and adequate travel insurance. In the course of searching out the best plan I found that Travelex received accolades from many sources. As a result, it was my first choice! Equally important when completing a transaction one wants to receive honest and beneficial comments from the company representative. I must say that I was very pleased with the way the Travelex staff assisted me in choosing the right plan for my wife and I. The name Travelex has a special place in my memory bank so, in the future, should I plan a trip, it'll be Travelex that I contact for insurance. Thank you!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Judy, the agent I first spoke to was very helpful. She explained the advantage and disadvantage of each plan. She answered all my questions in a professional manner. Her recommendation of the plan we ended up purchasing was based on where we were going. I did not feel pressured to buy the most expensive plan.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband and son are taking a fishing trip to Alaska in late June, and I will join them later. I wasn't quite sure how to structure our travel insurance for this trip. The representative I spoke with was knowledgeable, helpful, pleasant and courteous. Yesterday I remembered another expense I had forgotten to account for so I spoke to another rep, and I had this amount added to our coverage. She too was helpful and understanding. This is our first purchase from Travelex and I am very impressed with your company. Hopefully the trip will go off without a hitch and we'll never get to find out how good your claims service is!

Travelex Insurance Services

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback!

We are so happy to hear about your experience and look forward to insuring all your future travels.

Amber

Original review: May 1, 2017

My experience with TRAVELEX has already exceeded my expectations. The people thus far, seem to be very trustworthy and competent in what they say and do. Success is all about consistency. People, in general who follow through statistically do better. When you go the extra mile, that says a lot about TRAVELEX. I do believe, they want to make your experience the most important one. Thank you, TRAVELEX???

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Travelex was recommended by a friend who travels far more than we do... This was very easy, complete, and quick. Checked other sites for prices, and Travelex was very competitive. Will use for next trip!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have never had a major medical sickness while traveling or cruising. I was glad for the response by the ships hospital and doctor on Oceania Cruises. I also very much appreciate the quick action and payment by Travelex and Transamerica Casualty insurance company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Simply, easy and clear choices made this select very easy! The policy came quickly and was easy to read! I got it electronically within an hour. I had one question they answered promptly! I also used it to save on car rental insurance!

Travelex Insurance Services

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.

It’s important to our company to hear that our claims processes are fair and reimbursement for losses are received promptly.

Thank you again and have a wonderful day!

Amber

Original review: April 26, 2017

I bought my plan over the phone. I received good advice on an upgrade, and the rates were reasonable. I plan on going to Europe this fall, and will again contact to discuss insurance options. I had a claim on my Greenland trip, and I was treated most fairly with the settlement.

Question and Answers - Travelex Insurance Services

What problem is Travelex Insurance trying to solve?

Travelex Insurance helps protect travelers from unexpected expenses and assists in dealing with unforeseen events which could occur while traveling.

What sets Travelex apart from the competition?

Travelex is extremely proud of our "ExFactor" advantage over the competition which entails our experienced people, excellent protection plans and exceptional customer care. We pride ourselves on the fact that every client, customer, travel agent is treated as a VIP. We understand that many people do not understand travel insurance; our clients can rely on Travelex to provide the most appropriate plan with excellent service before, after and during their trip to be sure their needs are met.

What needs does Travelex fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?

The Travelex protection plans offer 24-hour coverage for trip cancellations, flight delays, medical emergencies and evacuations and much more depending on the plan purchased. Many of the Travelex plans provide First Payer Coverage for medical expenses with no deductible. This means Travelex pays first but may recover funds from medical or other collectible insurance plans. Our plans are available through major travel providers including tour operators, cruise lines and thousands of travel agents across the country as well as online at www.travelexinsurance.com.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?

Most people do not understand the need for travel insurance. In today's world there are so many uncertainties that can impact their trip investment like trip cancellations due to natural disasters such as volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes; trip delays, sickness, injury, terrorist attacks, delayed baggage and the list goes on. The cost of one of these events would in most cases more than cover the cost of a Travelex protection plan.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about Travelex Insurance?

In addition to our travel protection plans, we offer expedited passport services, international driving permits and Travel Solve – our evacuation, security and assistance membership plan designed for a unique market of travelers.

Has Travelex received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?

Travelex Insurance Services is a nine-time winner of the Virtuoso Best Specialty Provider Award. This Award is unique in that the Virtuoso travel advisors vote for the winner. The fact that Travelex is continually recognized with this award is a tribute to the quality protection plans and exceptional service we provide every day to travel agents and travelers alike.

How has Travelex Insurance grown or evolved?

Travelex continues to modify and upgrade our plans to meet the needs of today's travelers. The company has progressed through the evolution of travel insurance products which started as simple flight accidental death and dismemberment plans offered mainly through airport counter locations, to today where Travelex offers more travel package plans sold through multiple venues including travel agents, tour operators, cruise lines and online travel agencies.

Our plans have mainly evolved with the needs of the leisure traveling public by including features such as a pre-existing medical waiver on most plans, a family friendly kids free plan, pet insurance provisions and a 'cancel for any reason' upgrade – to name a few.

How does Travelex measure success?

Customer satisfaction is the key success measurement for Travelex Insurance Services. When Travelex is able to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations, our distributors are more likely to sell more insurance, travelers are more likely to become repeat customers and both are more likely to be advocates of our company, attracting more customers for us.

Travelex measures our customer satisfaction through customer feedback surveys, industry review site ratings, agency attrition rate and customer testimonials.

Travel Insurance is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH; NAIC #10952. 1725568

Travelex Insurance Services Company Profile