4.43/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Travelex Insurance Services is a leading travel insurance provider offering a variety of protection plans and optional upgrades to fit your individual travel needs. All Travelex leisure plans include coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay, medical expense benefits, medical evacuation, lost or delayed baggage and more. With over 55 years of experience, our team is among the most experienced in the industry and is committed to helping protect your trip investment. Get a free quote today!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

327 Travelex Insurance Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

When traveling, always get travel insurance. Looked up best ones, this came out as a great deal for the price. Can't beat it. Love having peace of mind when traveling abroad. You hope you don't need but it's great to know you have it.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I found the purchasing and registration for a comprehensive plan for an upcoming trip to Europe was easy and without complications. The website had good explanations and answers for my questions. The cost of the plan was fair and less expensive than other travel insurance company plans I researched. So far, I am very satisfied with Travelex and will recommend it to others traveling.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

The experience talking to your representative was totally positive. She answered my questions and guided me toward the coverage that I asked for. Your website was easy to navigate and a pleasure to use. I also found that your rates are very competitive.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I had a very hard time with my most recent insurance purpose. There were multiple website glitches and each of the 4 or so calls I made had very long hold times. I believe there used to be the possibility of live chat which would have been useful. Overall it seems that your commitment to serving your customers is very low.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Travelex would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We do apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced when you were trying to purchase a policy online, and when you called our Customer Solutions Department. Travelex prides ourselves on our exemplary customer service and we appreciate your comments to help improve our customers experience.

As a reminder, you do have the option to purchase a policy over the phone with our Customer Solutions Department, who can help make the process easy and answer any questions you might have about the policy benefits. The Customer Solutions Team is available Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 7:00 pm CST, at 1-800-228-9792.

Thank you again, and we hope you think of Travelex Insurance the next time you travel.

Kind Regards.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I purchased Travelex insurance online and it couldn’t have been easier. My cousin who was a travel agent recommended TRAVELEX. Lost or damaged articles have been paid for by TRAVELEX... a very reputable company... I would definitely recommend this company to any traveler.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelex Insurance Services?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Glad to have the coverage. Thanks. So much for setting it up for us. We feel better about our plans now. You always put our minds at ease when we plan trips/vacations. I also learned you can set up coverage online.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

The real test will be if I need to use the insurance but I hope I won't need to do that. The person at Travelex was very nice and answered my questions. I recommended Travelex to another person for an international trip and they purchased it as well.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I had a very good experience purchasing insurance for our upcoming trip to England. I was unsure about how to complete the online application, and the person I spoke to at Travelex was very helpful, and talked me thru the form. Hopefully, we won't need the insurance.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback!

We are so happy to hear about your experience and look forward to insuring all your future trips.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Kind Regards,

Amber

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Needed insurance to cover my trip before I leave and while I am in Israel and new York. I used this company last year and unfortunately I got sick before I was able to go on my trip to new York; was laid up in the hospital for 6 weeks; Travelex covered me and paid me what I had paid for the trip. Thank you travelex!!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I researched several options for travel insurance. I needed cancel for any reason coverage as my son is in the military. Your website was easy to navigate and straightforward explaining the coverage. I feel Travelex gave me the best coverage at the most reasonable rate. I am very satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Online application was quick and easy and covered all my requirements. The plan compares favorably with other companies I have researched. I would hope that submitting a claim would be just as easy, although I am determined not to have the need.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I was happy with the service I received, as well as the rate and coverage. My trip is in December and hope there will be no need to use the insurance. I would recommend Travelex Insurance Services to my friends and family.

Resolution response: Aug. 31, 2018

After having a problem with buying a policy online, I reached out to Travelex. I have since heard from them and the problem seems to be resolved. Thank you for your assistance, Travelex!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I tried several times to purchase a policy online. I have purchased your product many times in the past, so I assumed this would be simple. I had to start over multiple times. I made several phone calls to explain the problems I was having. Only one person helped me with the problem but no one offered to place the order for me. The day that I called was a very busy day and every time I called for help I was on hold for quite a long time.

On my last attempt, It was stated that my time had expired & I needed to start all over. I started again for the 4th or 5th time. But before I completed the process, I checked my credit card & there was already a charge for the policy. I called Travelex again & she explained that I did indeed have a policy. Now, I hope that is the case as I would be very upset not to have a policy in place for this upcoming trip. Plus the fact that I may have placed 2 orders. Fortunately, I had the sense to check before I pressed that send button again with my credit card info.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Travelex would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We do apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced when you were trying to enroll online and the hold times when you contacted our customer solutions department. Travelex prides ourselves on our exemplary customer service and we have taken this opportunity to escalate both issues within the appropriate departments.

We would like to further explain the process for purchasing a policy online. When a policy is created and not completed, for any reason, our system turns it into a quote. Follow up emails are sent twice on all quotes, to offer travelers the opportunity to complete the purchase.

In the future, should you wish to purchase a policy, our Customer Solutions Department has the ability to clone previous policies, to make the process easy and quick. The Customer Solutions Team is available Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 7:00 pm CST, at 1-800-228-9792.

Thank you again, and we hope you think of Travelex the next time you travel.

Kind Regards.

Amber

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

The purchasing process and the policy delivery was seamless. The web application is very easy to navigate and user friendly, makes the selection of plan alternatives and covered risks easy to understand. The price was competitive with other insurance carriers reviewed like Allianz and Travel Guard.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I've been buying travel insurance for many year and this year was the first time I had to use it. I bought Travel Select insurance and when I had to cancel our trip a week after it had started was no fun. I filed a claim and didn't lose all the money for the cruise and hotel that I had already prepaid. Jennifer was helping me and she did a great job.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

The order and delivery process was fast and rather easy. I compared coverage from four different services before I decided on Travelex, for price and customer reviews. I would recommend this to a friend. I purchased the Cancellation/Interruption/Delay and Medical Coverage. We haven't left for our trip, but I'm hoping to not need the coverage.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Do not use Travelex to purchase travel insurance. If you need to change your plans and/or cancel your trip you will need to provide an extensive amount of information and include a statement from a doctor to receive reimbursement. I planned to take a rafting trip. Later, because of a previous medical condition, I decided to cancel the trip. I made this decision without consulting a doctor. The rafting company refunded all but $400 of my down payment. I contacted Travelex (actually Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance) on several occasions. When they did respond, I received the same runaround about needing a signed statement from a physician regarding diagnosis, treatment, and whether I was able to travel. I’ve sent numerous emails that were never answered. Long story short, I would rate this company at zero stars and would not use them to purchase travel insurance.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Your customer experience is very important to us at Travelex. We will personally reach out to the claims department, on your behalf, to obtain additional info regarding your claim.

Once we are able to review your situation, we will email you directly within 2 business days.

Kind Regards,

Marcy

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

My wife and I have been married 37 years are traveling to Italy for a very belated three-week honeymoon trip. My wife suggested it would be a good idea to get travel insurance, and we chose Travelex because they high ratings for customer satisfaction. We haven't purchased travel insurance before, and we had several questions, which were answered by a very patient and knowledgeable Travelex's customer service representative. Getting a policy online was easy, and the documentation was thorough and easy to understand. I hope we don't have to use our policy, but it is comforting knowing we have reliable coverage from a good company if we need it.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

The customer service rep was thorough and precise in her understanding of our questions. She was a strong communicator. We have used your insurance company on multiple occasions, including our last trip to London in June-July 2018. On our upcoming trip, which pertained to our most recent call, we wanted to better understand pre-existing conditions terms and conditions.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post!

We appreciate the excellent rating. We are excited that you think of Travelex when you are insuring your travel arragements!

Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Your website was easy to use and the plans were laid out in a logical fashion. The agent that I talked to was very helpful as well, explaining the differences in the plans, etc. I wish that I was able to purchase insurance for non US citizens as well since my daughter lives in the Republic of San Marino and will be joining us on this trip.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Feel the price and coverage was fair. Also thought the online was easy to navigate and loved the ability to get a one page confirmation of insurance with important numbers. For the future, try to see if any you can provide delayed baggage covers for 6 hours instead of 12.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

The purchasing experience was pretty straightforward and simple. I liked that we were able to compare the different plans, and easily see the differences that were offered at the different price points. The add-on options were slightly confusing to me.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My wife and I get travel insurance through you on all our overseas trips. It would be helpful if you allowed the creation of accounts on your site so we wouldn't have to re-enter all our information every time we buy insurance for a trip. That would also allow you to create a loyalty program that rewards your frequent customers.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

The experience I had purchasing the Travelex insurance was easy fast and took me less time than I had anticipated and was a fair price as far as I was concerned. I am going to hope if I need to cancel my trip that the results with doing that will be as painless!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Insurance was easy to purchase online, but we have not traveled yet... so we have no knowledge of how they would handle a claim. We were looking for a plan that would give us security before and during the trip. Hope it works out.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I was looking for reasonable insurance for the trip we planned to ride the train across Canada and then cruise Alaska. I planned the entire trip myself. We have wanted to do this for years and didn't want to risk a major event ruining our big plans. The trip is expensive and pretty much once in a lifetime for us. Travelex insurance was the right level of coverage for a reasonable price to give us some peace of mind for our big trip.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post your reviews.

Travelex is happy that we were able to help you gain peace of mind for your exciting trip. We hope you enjoy your vacation and we look forward to insuring all your future trips

Thank you again and have a great day!

Original review: July 26, 2018

Top notch. You have this process very quick and easy. I have used you multiple times and I have always been more than satisfied. Your simple online entry forms and explanations of all important points of the product are complete and very helpful.

Original review: July 26, 2018

We've been buying travel insurance for years. About seven years ago a friend who's a travel agent recommended Travelex's Travel Select. Last year, for the first time, I had to file a claim for a cruise ticket that was paid in full and nonrefundable. We had no idea what to expect, but we were very pleasantly surprised. The process was reasonable, straightforward and businesslike. We were reimbursed every dime we'd paid. It was even timely. I have nothing but praise for Travelex's service. I would absolutely recommend it to anyone -- and already have. I'm happy to have a chance to say "thank you."

Original review: July 25, 2018

I looked up couple of travel insurance companies online, before deciding on Travelex. They had more coverage at a much more affordable price than the rest. Online sign up process was easy, efficient and fast. Would use them for all my international travels and I do recommend them.

Original review: July 25, 2018

The agent was very friendly and explained all my options and purchases with this plan. I was surprised that $20 round trip would cover so much, including missed or canceled flights, medical and other issues. That's all I have to say.

Travelex Insurance Services expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Travelex Insurance Services is a leader in the travel insurance industry. They offer a variety of plans with customizable upgrades so you can find the perfect plan for your trip.

• Variety of protection plan options: They offer various protection plans with clearly laid out coverage levels including Travel Basic, Travel Select, and Travel Max.

• Medical coverage: Get medical expense coverage of up to $100,000 per trip.

• Children travel at no additional cost: With the Travel Select plan, children under the age of 21 are included at no extra charge when accompanied by a covered adult family member.

• Extended trip duration: Single-trip policies will cover vacations of up to 180 days.

• Trip interruption coverage: In the event of an interruption, certain Travelex plans cover up to 150 percent of insured trip cost.

• Best for: leisure, luxury and family trips.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

Travelex Insurance Services questions and answers

What problem is Travelex Insurance trying to solve?
Travelex Insurance helps protect travelers from unexpected expenses and assists in dealing with unforeseen events which could occur while traveling.
What sets Travelex apart from the competition?
Travelex is extremely proud of our "ExFactor" advantage over the competition which entails our experienced people, excellent protection plans and exceptional customer care. We pride ourselves on the fact that every client, customer, travel agent is treated as a VIP. We understand that many people do not understand travel insurance; our clients can rely on Travelex to provide the most appropriate plan with excellent service before, after and during their trip to be sure their needs are met.
What needs does Travelex fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
The Travelex protection plans offer 24-hour coverage for trip cancellations, flight delays, medical emergencies and evacuations and much more depending on the plan purchased. Many of the Travelex plans provide First Payer Coverage for medical expenses with no deductible. This means Travelex pays first but may recover funds from medical or other collectible insurance plans. Our plans are available through major travel providers including tour operators, cruise lines and thousands of travel agents across the country as well as online at www.travelexinsurance.com.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
Most people do not understand the need for travel insurance. In today's world there are so many uncertainties that can impact their trip investment like trip cancellations due to natural disasters such as volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes; trip delays, sickness, injury, terrorist attacks, delayed baggage and the list goes on. The cost of one of these events would in most cases more than cover the cost of a Travelex protection plan.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Travelex Insurance?
In addition to our travel protection plans, we offer expedited passport services, international driving permits and Travel Solve – our evacuation, security and assistance membership plan designed for a unique market of travelers.
Has Travelex received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
Travelex Insurance Services is a nine-time winner of the Virtuoso Best Specialty Provider Award. This Award is unique in that the Virtuoso travel advisors vote for the winner. The fact that Travelex is continually recognized with this award is a tribute to the quality protection plans and exceptional service we provide every day to travel agents and travelers alike.
How has Travelex Insurance grown or evolved?
Travelex continues to modify and upgrade our plans to meet the needs of today's travelers. The company has progressed through the evolution of travel insurance products which started as simple flight accidental death and dismemberment plans offered mainly through airport counter locations, to today where Travelex offers more travel package plans sold through multiple venues including travel agents, tour operators, cruise lines and online travel agencies.

Our plans have mainly evolved with the needs of the leisure traveling public by including features such as a pre-existing medical waiver on most plans, a family friendly kids free plan, pet insurance provisions and a 'cancel for any reason' upgrade – to name a few.
How does Travelex measure success?
Customer satisfaction is the key success measurement for Travelex Insurance Services. When Travelex is able to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations, our distributors are more likely to sell more insurance, travelers are more likely to become repeat customers and both are more likely to be advocates of our company, attracting more customers for us.

Travelex measures our customer satisfaction through customer feedback surveys, industry review site ratings, agency attrition rate and customer testimonials.

Travel Insurance is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH; NAIC #10952. 1725568

Travelex Insurance Services Company Information