It's that easy Request Information
4.50/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Travelex Insurance Services is a leading travel insurance provider offering a variety of protection plans and optional upgrades to fit your individual travel needs. All Travelex leisure plans include coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay, medical expense benefits, medical evacuation, lost or delayed baggage and more. With over 55 years of experience, our team is among the most experienced in the industry and is committed to helping protect your trip investment. Get a free quote today!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

465 Travelex Insurance Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

We had to cancel the family vacation because my wife got sick, so we submitted the trip cancellation claim. I called to open the claim, but the same could have been done as easy via the website. Although, the documentation required to support the claim was a bit excessive IMO (like a statement from the airline that the ticket's fare was not refundable), we did not have major issues providing all required documents, including the doctor's note, of course. Once the documents were submitted, it took about 2-3 weeks to process the claim and we were able to check the processing status online and, finally, we got a check for the full amount without any issues or additional questions. I think it makes sense to invest some time and prepare all documents upfront - makes everything go smoother. Overall, I am very satisfied with the service received and plan to use Travelex for my future travels as well.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience.

It’s important to our company to hear that our claims processes are fair and reimbursement for losses are received promptly.

Thank you again and we look forward to insuring all your future trips!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

The experience was ok. I had a little confusion as to what the difference was between the two "lines" you offer to viewers. Deluxe vs. regular. Had it not been for my friend telling me to go with the deluxe/plus... then I would not have. I still don't really know what that paid for... or what the difference was!

Travelex Insurance Services response

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Travelex offers two different policies for our travelers, the Travel Select and Travel Basic. While both will offer coverage worldwide, they have different benefit levels and upgrades. Some differences in the policies include being able insure trips that are longer than 30 days, or higher than $10,000 in trip cost, and higher medical coverage for medical emergencies that may arise while traveling. For these reasons, the Travel Select plan is normally recommended for travel outside of the United States, as it has higher benefit coverage amounts than the Travel Basic.

The website does have a side-by-side comparison, so you can find the plan that best matches what you are looking for on your trip. For your convenience, both of our policies offer a 15 Day Free Look Period. This allows you to cancel or change the policy and receive a refund of your premium within 15 days of purchase, as long as you have not already departed on your trip or filed a claim. If you have any questions or would like to change your coverage you can contact our Customer Solutions Department via email.

Thank you again, and we hope you think of Travelex the next time you are looking to insure your travel!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

After researching several travel insurance providers, I decided on Travelex primarily because the emergency medical coverage is better and the policy provides "primary" coverage (i.e., no waiting for my personal medical insurer to reimburse me first), which is a BIG plus. I was also drawn to Travelex because the coverage has a shorter time frame before coverage is triggered (e.g., lost luggage, travel delay and the "look back" period). Even having extra time to review the policy after purchase (e.g., 15 days vs. 10 days) was comforting and gave me greater confidence in choosing Travelex over other providers.

Additionally, knowing that Travelex is a Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company, I felt reassured that the coverage would be available, if needed. I was extremely pleased with the time that the Travelex rep patiently answered all my questions about the policy before I purchased it. It was straight talk... not misleading. (I cannot say the same for a competitor's rep that I talked to.) Finally, a special "thank you" to Rhonda, a Travelex Customer Solutions Communications Representative. She was very helpful and quick to respond. I highly recommend Travelex to others.

Original review: July 18, 2018

My husband was hospitalized for four days with severe food poisoning in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Travelex was extremely helpful while we were in the hospital. We missed our flight to our next destination in southern Thailand. Travelex offered to help us cancel other flights we missed. I didn't ask for a hotel for me to stay in during this time because the hospital provided me a bed to sleep in his room and help take care of him. The hospital was nicer than most US hospitals I've seen.

After he was released from the hospital, Travelex gave us the option of either returning home early or catching us up with our trip. We chose the second option. They paid for a beautiful hotel for us to stay in Chiang Mai so he could fully recover, then paid for a flight to Bangkok so we could take our original return flight home. They paid for non-refundable costs of hotels, activities, and flights that we missed. Once we returned home, filing the claims was easy and we received a check in the mail two weeks later for the full amount we requested - no questions asked.

I can't believe how easy this insurance company was to deal with and how helpful they were while my husband was sick in the hospital. Great 24/7 customer service representatives (English-speaking Americans). I would recommend them to a friend. I insured my upcoming trip to Italy with them and will continue to use them in the future!

Original review: June 8, 2018

We have travel/cruised twice a year for the past 6+ years and being in our senior years we ALWAYS purchase Travelex Insurance. While traveling with friends a few years ago, whom we encouraged to also by Travelex insurance, they experienced a medical condition that left them disembarked in a foreign country. Travelx served them well, very well indeed.

We never thought that something like that would ever happen to us, but it did, just 3 months ago while in Sydney Australia in route to catch a cruise ship to New Zealand. My wife was hospitalized there for 10 days and our American medical insurance was useless to us. If we had not had Travel Insurance the hospital would not have admitted her without a VERY VERY large cash deposit. To make matters worse, our cruise ship left without us.

Travelex was wonderful. They handled everything, from the financials to the scheduling and got us home safely after 2 weeks living in stress, in a foreign country. Once home Travelex made us whole again, reimbursing us for all vacation travel expenses, cruise costs, and paid off the hospital and doctors in Sydney Australia. How Wonderful Is That!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelex Insurance Services?

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have purchased Travelex insurance several times but this is the first time I submitted a claim. I was ill while in Europe and filed a claim for a doctor's visit and prescription upon my return to the U.S. Within a few weeks, I was reimbursed. It was a painless process. Just be sure to keep all your receipts/proof of payment.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 13, 2019

This company is the worst insurance I have ever paid for!!! They are not understanding and just plain out scammed me out my money! Will not be working with them again and I will make sure to tell people not to pay for their horrible services! NEVER AGAIN! My brother passed away so I booked my ticket and the Travelex insurance plan so I can attend the funeral. The funeral ended up getting pushed back so I talked with customer service at Travelex and they assured me if I submitted all requiring documents that there would be no problems if I changed my flight a week later!

I paid an extra $500 to change my flight. Submitted all documents once I got back and now they are telling me they can not give me my money back because the “incident” happened prior me buying the insurance plan???? The reason I bought my ticket and insurance was to attend my brothers funeral! My brother's death was not the incident. His funeral being pushed back was. But they seem to not understand. Why have people work in customer service if they don’t know anything about this company? This so called claims “specialist” would not let me talk to her manager or to anybody else either. The most unorganized company I have ever seen. Customer service told me one thing while a claim specialist told me another.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Travelex would like to thank you for taking the time to post about your concerns on Consumer Affairs.

The protection plan purchased is a Named Peril Policy meaning the policy details outlines the coverage included and if the reason for trip cancellation or trip interruption is not listed, coverage does not apply. The Cheap Fare Guru policy you purchased offers 10 different reasons to cancel or interrupt your trip. These are listed on pages 4-5 of the policy details that were emailed to you at the time of purchase.

Travelex prides itself on having exemplary customer service, and it is important to us that we provide the correct information about our policies. That being said, we were unable to locate any phone calls to our Customer Solutions Department originating from the number provided on the policy. If you could provide us with the approximate date and any phone numbers you may have called from, we would be happy to review all calls that were made, in relation to your policy.

Please reach out to us directly to provide further information.

Amber

Original review: May 8, 2019

Website was easy to use and options for my trip were plentiful. I had indeed visited some other sites. However, many of the policy options here were exactly what I desired and nothing more. Easy to use, pay for and documents were received as outlined. I was most happy with my choice. I believe I received the best insurance product for my trip at a reasonable rate. After reviewing the entire policy document, I found it easy to understand and it was as described in the overview of my purchase.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 5, 2019

I would have given 5 Stars, but I currently have a claim (Damage - Personal Item) & haven't heard back from the company yet. So I'm not giving a "true" evaluation, due to awaiting claim outcome. The purchase of the policy was fast and easy, that was a major plus in the purchasing with this company. So far (minus the claim outcome) my experience with the company has been positive. I would possibly utilize the company again in the future.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience.

We have contacted the Claim Administrator, on your behalf, and found that they received your documentation on Monday, April 29th. It generally takes 7 – 10 business days for them to complete the review of a claim, once all documentation has been submitted. That being said, if all documentation has been submitted, the Claim Administrator will be reviewing your claim this week.

If you have any questions about your claim, you can always contact the Claim Department by phone Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 7:00 pm CST.

Thank you again, and we look forward to insuring all your future travel.

Amber

Original review: May 2, 2019

I use Travelex travel insurance whenever I fly. It is easy to sign-up for the travel coverage and it gives me assurance I will be taken care of if it is needed to be utilized. Fortunately I have not had to use the insurance however I would not travel without it.

Original review: May 1, 2019

The process for applying to Travelex for a claim was simple and the response was prompt, courteous, and effective. I appreciated that even though there were delays due to high volume, I was notified as my claim went through the process.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I have had Travelex for many years and they are great at keeping their word when I had a difficult experience in my traveling out of state and overseas. I will renew and continue availing their service every time I travel.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Travel Insurance - Holy Land trip - It was very easy and convenient to obtain - recommended by the company that is conducting the tour. I also found it affordable and hope that I won't have to use it. But better safe than sorry. Thank you for your attention to detail in sending the appropriate description that I can give to my family members to refer to while I am on my trip.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I went online to purchase some insurance in case something happen to me while on travel. I also needed insurance if I was to get sick and needed medical help. I wanted insurance in case the flight was canceled. Very easy to do. Thank you so much.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Thankfully I didn't have to make use of the Insurance this time but, as always, it was an easy process to book. Having had to use Travelex in the past, and having had an extremely good experience with that, I will be using Travelex for all of my international travel going forward!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Very easy process. Choosing certain items to fill out application on the website were a problem. Trying to scroll through a drop down on my iPad, scrolled through the overall site instead. I needed to fill out the app on my Mac.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Very helpful staff and quick process. I had a death and needed to cancel my trip. The forms and process were easy to use and they were easy to communicate with via text, e-mail or phone. I would use them again and do recommend them.

Original review: April 17, 2019

The agents rushed me off the phone and did not take the time to assist. They both came off as having attitudes and not having the time to assist. I only went with your company because of the price, not because of the agents assisting.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Travelex wants to thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention, and we are sorry to hear of your frustration.

We reviewed two calls prior to your purchasing the Travel Select policy online, one at 11:45am, that lasted 12 minutes and a second call at 12:01 pm, that lasted about 18 minutes. It was not our intention to make you feel rushed as our Customer Solutions representatives strive to provide excellent customer service to everyone.

We will certainly use the feedback to help us continue to coach and improve our Customer Solutions representatives.

Travelex thanks you again for purchasing a Travel Select policy and we hope your trip goes smoothly.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Program components & staff exceeded expectation. My experience with Travelex Insurance since 2004 has been excellent. In our most recent trip, an injury, unfortunately, required us to tap into Travel Select emergency services. What a wonderful group of professionals! Thankful for all of your help. We’re already plan our next trip!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Person with whom I spoke walked me through the procedures for getting approval and assistance if I encountered an emergency health situation in the Andes Mountains in Peru where there might not be a doctor or other medical professional. Very helpful!

Original review: April 12, 2019

Your comparison of various companies with their coverages and cost made it easier to make a decision leading to my purchase of travel insurance. I would recommend your company to my friends before they travel. I will use you in the future.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Unfortunately had to file claim due to elderly father going into hospital with pneumonia during our trip to New Zealand. Provided all the info requested on website and had claim paid in less than a week. Will always use Travelex for my trip insurance plans.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I'm a private person planning to go on a vacation for 10 days. Bought basic coverage just to have a peace of mind. Could've done it on line but got some questions. The Representative I spoke with was very nice, professional, knowledgeable and patient. Totally satisfied.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback!

We are so happy to hear about your experience and look forward to doing business with you again.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Original review: April 3, 2019

Processing my insurance request was a snap. Website was user friendly and very informative of planning options. It is something I hope to never use, but a comfort to know have coverage for unforeseen event since trip planning is completed so far in advance of travel.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Did not need it, but it was good to know it was available to us. The contact number was clearly given had we needed it. The insurance was a good security blanket and kept us confident that we were covered.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I always get Travelex Insurance before any trip. This is the first time I ever filed a claim. Other than the initial confusion between filing a claim with On-Call International or Berkshire Hathaway, the whole experience was very hassle-free. I absolutely would recommend Travelex to anyone!

Original review: March 23, 2019

The process is very easy. Just plug in the dates of travel, the age/state residence of traveler and the total cost of the trip to find the cost for different types of coverage - select one and pay. If you encounter questions, the representatives at the 800 number are very helpful.

Original review: March 20, 2019

My husband woke up with a terrible cough and he went to see the doctor on our cruise ship. They did blood work, and a chest xray. Gave him a z-pack and some cough meds. They said he had bronchial pneumonia. When we returned home - I filed a claim online. Very quick response time -- within a matter of a week and the claim was complete. Thank you.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I called twice. Both times, I was connected to an agent in a reasonable amount of time. In both cases, the agents were excellent! They gave me exactly the information I needed. Also, both spoke perfect English and were completely understandable. It's because of this experience that I went with Travelex. I have typically used Allianz for past trips, but the impression that your Customer Service left me with won me over!

Original review: March 20, 2019

I was to see that the premium rates were the cheapest of any other travelers insurance company. With an A++ rating. My first time purchasing insurance and I spoke with a few agents. This one man was very helpful and answered my questions with ease and clarification.

Travelex Insurance Services expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Travelex Insurance Services is a leader in the travel insurance industry. They offer a variety of plans with customizable upgrades so you can find the perfect plan for your trip.

• Variety of protection plan options: They offer various protection plans with clearly laid out coverage levels including Travel Basic, Travel Select, and Travel Max.

• Medical coverage: Get medical expense coverage of up to $100,000 per trip.

• Children travel at no additional cost: With the Travel Select plan, children under the age of 21 are included at no extra charge when accompanied by a covered adult family member.

• Extended trip duration: Single-trip policies will cover vacations of up to 180 days.

• Trip interruption coverage: In the event of an interruption, certain Travelex plans cover up to 150 percent of insured trip cost.

• Best for: leisure, luxury and family trips.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

Travelex Insurance Services questions and answers

What problem is Travelex Insurance trying to solve?
Travelex Insurance helps protect travelers from unexpected expenses and assists in dealing with unforeseen events which could occur while traveling.
What sets Travelex apart from the competition?
Travelex is extremely proud of our "ExFactor" advantage over the competition which entails our experienced people, excellent protection plans and exceptional customer care. We pride ourselves on the fact that every client, customer, travel agent is treated as a VIP. We understand that many people do not understand travel insurance; our clients can rely on Travelex to provide the most appropriate plan with excellent service before, after and during their trip to be sure their needs are met.
What needs does Travelex fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
The Travelex protection plans offer 24-hour coverage for trip cancellations, flight delays, medical emergencies and evacuations and much more depending on the plan purchased. Many of the Travelex plans provide First Payer Coverage for medical expenses with no deductible. This means Travelex pays first but may recover funds from medical or other collectible insurance plans. Our plans are available through major travel providers including tour operators, cruise lines and thousands of travel agents across the country as well as online at www.travelexinsurance.com.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
Most people do not understand the need for travel insurance. In today's world there are so many uncertainties that can impact their trip investment like trip cancellations due to natural disasters such as volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes; trip delays, sickness, injury, terrorist attacks, delayed baggage and the list goes on. The cost of one of these events would in most cases more than cover the cost of a Travelex protection plan.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Travelex Insurance?
In addition to our travel protection plans, we offer expedited passport services, international driving permits and Travel Solve – our evacuation, security and assistance membership plan designed for a unique market of travelers.
Has Travelex received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
Travelex Insurance Services is a nine-time winner of the Virtuoso Best Specialty Provider Award. This Award is unique in that the Virtuoso travel advisors vote for the winner. The fact that Travelex is continually recognized with this award is a tribute to the quality protection plans and exceptional service we provide every day to travel agents and travelers alike.
How has Travelex Insurance grown or evolved?
Travelex continues to modify and upgrade our plans to meet the needs of today's travelers. The company has progressed through the evolution of travel insurance products which started as simple flight accidental death and dismemberment plans offered mainly through airport counter locations, to today where Travelex offers more travel package plans sold through multiple venues including travel agents, tour operators, cruise lines and online travel agencies.

Our plans have mainly evolved with the needs of the leisure traveling public by including features such as a pre-existing medical waiver on most plans, a family friendly kids free plan, pet insurance provisions and a 'cancel for any reason' upgrade – to name a few.
How does Travelex measure success?
Customer satisfaction is the key success measurement for Travelex Insurance Services. When Travelex is able to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations, our distributors are more likely to sell more insurance, travelers are more likely to become repeat customers and both are more likely to be advocates of our company, attracting more customers for us.

Travelex measures our customer satisfaction through customer feedback surveys, industry review site ratings, agency attrition rate and customer testimonials.

Travel Insurance is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH; NAIC #10952. 1725568

Travelex Insurance Services Company Information