Travelex Insurance Services is a leading travel insurance provider offering a variety of protection plans and optional upgrades to fit your individual travel needs. All Travelex leisure plans include coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay, medical expense benefits, medical evacuation, lost or delayed baggage and more. With over 55 years of experience, our team is among the most experienced in the industry and is committed to helping protect your trip investment. Get a free quote today!
A link has directed you to this review. Its location on this page may change next time you visit.
I always buy insurance from Travelex when traveling abroad. Buying an insurance online is easy and also filing a claim is easy and payment is fast! Now the payment can be received in Paypal account, which makes the payment process much faster.
Thank you for sharing your experience on Consumer Affairs.
We are happy to hear that our Claims Process was easy and that payment was fast. We hope you think of Travelex the next time you are looking to insure your travel!
Thanks again and have a wonderful day!Kind Regards,
Purchased a Travelex policy for a cruise this year. Unfortunately I had to cancel 1 day prior to departure due to medical advice from my daughter’s PCP. First step was to call Travelex to confirm coverage. While it was easy to make contact, they would not confirm that my circumstances fell within the scope of a valid claim. Representative spoke in general terms. I asked them to go ahead and begin a claim. I received an email shortly afterwords that explained the claim process.
Initially the documentation requested seemed a bit overwhelming. My submitted claim was 14 pages including documentation from doctor, receipts, cruise documents etc. Travelex allows up to 1 year to submit this documentation. Once I gathered all documentation I scanned and emailed my claim on a Monday evening, I received an email on Friday that my claim had been accepted and would be paid. I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the quick turnaround! Honestly I expected a reply with a few hoops I needed to jump through to complete my claim.
I have read many of the good and bad reviews concerning travel insurance. The common denominator in all reviews is due diligence or lack thereof. Folks that read policy documentation and have a general idea of what was covered and what was not seem to have more favorable reviews. I will certainly use Travelex for my future insurance needs. The policy was competitively priced with comprehensive coverage. Claim process was less tedious than expected and quick.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter! Enjoy reading our tips and recommendations.
Last month (March 2019) my wife and I began what was supposed to be a two-week vacation in Thailand. Two days after arriving in Bangkok, I was diagnosed with double pneumonia and was hospitalized there for 13 days. The physician required me to rest a few days after discharge before allowing us to fly back to the US. When we returned we filed a carefully documented trip interruption claim for about $10,000 with Travelex on April 9. (An arm of the insurance, On Call International, had already taken care of the hospital bill - quickly and completely, much to our amazement.)
Travelex responded the very next day (!) with an email saying that we would receive a check covering nearly the entirety of our claim. (We are still waiting to hear about one small aspect of the claim.) We received that check today (April 16). Fortunately we have filed very few insurance claims of any kind over our 70+ years, but all of the others have involved initial denials of claims, seemingly unending hassles, etc., before we finally received compensation. This has been a truly extraordinary experience. We will definitely use Travelex for all of our future travel insurance needs.
We had to cancel the family vacation because my wife got sick, so we submitted the trip cancellation claim. I called to open the claim, but the same could have been done as easy via the website. Although, the documentation required to support the claim was a bit excessive IMO (like a statement from the airline that the ticket's fare was not refundable), we did not have major issues providing all required documents, including the doctor's note, of course. Once the documents were submitted, it took about 2-3 weeks to process the claim and we were able to check the processing status online and, finally, we got a check for the full amount without any issues or additional questions. I think it makes sense to invest some time and prepare all documents upfront - makes everything go smoother. Overall, I am very satisfied with the service received and plan to use Travelex for my future travels as well.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience.
It’s important to our company to hear that our claims processes are fair and reimbursement for losses are received promptly.
Thank you again and we look forward to insuring all your future trips!
The experience was ok. I had a little confusion as to what the difference was between the two "lines" you offer to viewers. Deluxe vs. regular. Had it not been for my friend telling me to go with the deluxe/plus... then I would not have. I still don't really know what that paid for... or what the difference was!
We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review.
Travelex offers two different policies for our travelers, the Travel Select and Travel Basic. While both will offer coverage worldwide, they have different benefit levels and upgrades. Some differences in the policies include being able insure trips that are longer than 30 days, or higher than $10,000 in trip cost, and higher medical coverage for medical emergencies that may arise while traveling. For these reasons, the Travel Select plan is normally recommended for travel outside of the United States, as it has higher benefit coverage amounts than the Travel Basic.
The website does have a side-by-side comparison, so you can find the plan that best matches what you are looking for on your trip. For your convenience, both of our policies offer a 15 Day Free Look Period. This allows you to cancel or change the policy and receive a refund of your premium within 15 days of purchase, as long as you have not already departed on your trip or filed a claim. If you have any questions or would like to change your coverage you can contact our Customer Solutions Department via email.
Thank you again, and we hope you think of Travelex the next time you are looking to insure your travel!
For some unknown reason I could not print the whole policy. At about page 15 and 16 those pages repeated themselves and no further pages could be printed. I asked for a hard copy to be mailed but haven't heard. It has been over a week.
Thank you for taking the time to post about your concerns on Consumer Affairs.We have escalated your situation with our Customer Solutions department and been told that another copy will be mailed out tomorrow.
It will be sent to the address provided at the time of purchase.If you have any questions about the policy or do not receive it within the next 5 – 10 business days, please contact Customer Solutions via email or phone.
They are available Monday – Friday, 8:00am- 7:00pm CST.
Thank you again, and we hope you have a great trip!
- 2,171,412 reviews on ConsumerAffairs are verified.
- We require contact information to ensure our reviewers are real.
- We use intelligent software that helps us maintain the integrity of reviews.
- Our moderators read all reviews to verify quality and helpfulness.
For more information about reviews on ConsumerAffairs.com please visit our FAQ.
I buy a lot of policies from Travelex so I don't know what triggered this particular survey. What would make me happier since I buy a lot of policies is for you to give me a quicker way to buy the policy without having to keep giving you my information and listening to a bunch of disclaimers every time I call in. I like that people are generally easy to get on the phone and that they competently answer questions. I am now buying policies through Travelexperts because my Virtuoso agent referred me to that service. Earlier this year I had to make a large claim and Travelex did a good job of handling my case.
After reading a bunch of reviews this seems like a fair deal and a decent amount of coverage. Too much small print. We are hoping if anything happens we are mostly covered but between reviews and small print who knows. The descriptions sound good but seems to be your basic crap shoot. The reviews are good for the company so we are hopeful. Wish the coverage was easier to understand.
First time purchaser so I asked the representative to walk me through the application process. She was efficient, took the one needed and answered all questions. Next time I plan on purchasing trip insurance I’ll use Travelex again. Very pleased.
I find the website easy and quick to use when getting coverage. I use this service a lot as I travel a great deal. Travelex is worldwide and on the two occasions I have submitted a claim it was dealt with very promptly and professionally.
Your website needs to be updated or fixed because to order my policy online, I had to redo it numerous times because it would not submit the information. So I had to review the policy and remove certain things, I.e. my travel partner (my husband Frank’s name) was not able to be entered for my policy to be submitted and issued. This also happened with my husband's policy as he was not able to add my name to his policy for travel partner, his policy number is **. It also wouldn’t take my cc number although eventually it did, so not sure of the problem there.
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.
We have escalated your concerns, about our website, within the appropriate department for further review.
If you would like to combine both of your policies or if you have questions, please contact our Customer Solutions department at 1-800-819-9004, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 7:00 pm CST. They are also available to help you purchase a policy the next time you travel.Kind Regards,
Travelex Insurance Services expert review by Matthew Brodsky
Travelex Insurance Services is a leader in the travel insurance industry. They offer a variety of plans with customizable upgrades so you can find the perfect plan for your trip.
Variety of protection plan options: They offer various protection plans with clearly laid out coverage levels including Travel Basic, Travel Select, and Travel Max.
Medical coverage: Get medical expense coverage of up to $100,000 per trip.
Children travel at no additional cost: With the Travel Select plan, children under the age of 21 are included at no extra charge when accompanied by a covered adult family member.
Extended trip duration: Single-trip policies will cover vacations of up to 180 days.
Trip interruption coverage: In the event of an interruption, certain Travelex plans cover up to 150 percent of insured trip cost.
Best for: leisure, luxury and family trips.
Travelex Insurance Services questions and answers
- What problem is Travelex Insurance trying to solve?
- Travelex Insurance helps protect travelers from unexpected expenses and assists in dealing with unforeseen events which could occur while traveling.
- What sets Travelex apart from the competition?
- Travelex is extremely proud of our "ExFactor" advantage over the competition which entails our experienced people, excellent protection plans and exceptional customer care. We pride ourselves on the fact that every client, customer, travel agent is treated as a VIP. We understand that many people do not understand travel insurance; our clients can rely on Travelex to provide the most appropriate plan with excellent service before, after and during their trip to be sure their needs are met.
- What needs does Travelex fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
- The Travelex protection plans offer 24-hour coverage for trip cancellations, flight delays, medical emergencies and evacuations and much more depending on the plan purchased. Many of the Travelex plans provide First Payer Coverage for medical expenses with no deductible. This means Travelex pays first but may recover funds from medical or other collectible insurance plans. Our plans are available through major travel providers including tour operators, cruise lines and thousands of travel agents across the country as well as online at www.travelexinsurance.com.
- What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
- Most people do not understand the need for travel insurance. In today's world there are so many uncertainties that can impact their trip investment like trip cancellations due to natural disasters such as volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes; trip delays, sickness, injury, terrorist attacks, delayed baggage and the list goes on. The cost of one of these events would in most cases more than cover the cost of a Travelex protection plan.
- What is something you wish every consumer knew about Travelex Insurance?
- In addition to our travel protection plans, we offer expedited passport services, international driving permits and Travel Solve – our evacuation, security and assistance membership plan designed for a unique market of travelers.
- Has Travelex received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
- Travelex Insurance Services is a nine-time winner of the Virtuoso Best Specialty Provider Award. This Award is unique in that the Virtuoso travel advisors vote for the winner. The fact that Travelex is continually recognized with this award is a tribute to the quality protection plans and exceptional service we provide every day to travel agents and travelers alike.
- How has Travelex Insurance grown or evolved?
- Travelex continues to modify and upgrade our plans to meet the needs of today's travelers. The company has progressed through the evolution of travel insurance products which started as simple flight accidental death and dismemberment plans offered mainly through airport counter locations, to today where Travelex offers more travel package plans sold through multiple venues including travel agents, tour operators, cruise lines and online travel agencies.
Our plans have mainly evolved with the needs of the leisure traveling public by including features such as a pre-existing medical waiver on most plans, a family friendly kids free plan, pet insurance provisions and a 'cancel for any reason' upgrade – to name a few.
- How does Travelex measure success?
- Customer satisfaction is the key success measurement for Travelex Insurance Services. When Travelex is able to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations, our distributors are more likely to sell more insurance, travelers are more likely to become repeat customers and both are more likely to be advocates of our company, attracting more customers for us.
Travelex measures our customer satisfaction through customer feedback surveys, industry review site ratings, agency attrition rate and customer testimonials.
Travel Insurance is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH; NAIC #10952. 1725568
Travelex Insurance Services Company Information
- Social media:
- Company Name:
- Travelex Insurance Services
- 9140 West Dodge Road, Suite 300
- Postal Code:
- United States
- (800) 228-9792
Keep an eye on your inbox, the latest consumer news is on its way!