toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I have placed insurance with Travelex for over 20 years. On the few occasions where I had to make a claim, I received a prompt and positive response. I have recommended them to many friends. The basic package includes all the coverage that the ordinary traveler needs.

Thank you for taking the time to post!

We appreciate the kind words and love to hear that we were able to help you travel with peace of mind.

We look forward to insuring all your future travels.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

One hour before leaving for the airport I realized that we had not purchased travel insurance for a trip to Cancun. Within 15 minutes I had a policy in hand. Suitcase ready. The website was easy to navigate and the choices were clear. We are safe at home now having had no travel incidents, but also vacationed with a peace of mind.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I found your website clear and easy to navigate. I did what was needed and left site with no issues. The instructions were clear, and the document copies were in my e-mail quickly. I cannot see a better way to purchase coverage. I hope that I do not need to make use of the policy!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I called because I need additional help to be sure I was filling out information online correctly. The lady that helped me stayed suggested that she stay on the line while I completed the form to make sure I had no additional questions.

Resolution In Progress

Travelex Insurance Services

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns, we are sorry to hear about your frustration.

I did contact our Customer Solutions Department, on your behalf, to review the call, as we strive to provide exemplary customer service. While they did provide you with the confirmation number, we did also confirm that there was a bad connection during this call.

In our system, we do have two duplicate policies for you. The first policy was purchased on July 21, 2017, with our Customer Solutions Representative, and the second policy on July 23, 2017, which was purchased online. The Confirmation of Coverage and the Description of Coverage were both emailed to you at the time of each purchase, along with the confirmation numbers.

One of our Customer Solutions Representatives cancelled the second policy on Thursday August 10, 2017. We refunded the travel protection plan premium back to the Mastercard ending in 5805. You should receive the refund within the next 5 to 10 business days, depending on your banking institution.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Solutions Department if you have any questions. They are available at 1-800-228-9792, Monday-Friday, 8am-7pm CST.

Travelex makes every effort to review all concerns from our clients. If we can be of further service, please let us know. We hope you think of Travelex the next time you are looking to insure your travel!

Amber

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I do not have an order number because one of your operators failed to tell me the policy did not go through after I gave her my credit card number. I had to quickly grab another policy online the night before.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My son was flying overseas to the U.K. for soccer and at the last minute the organization he was traveling with informed us they would not be purchasing travel insurance for the full team. In a matter of minutes I was able to obtain travel insurance for my son online. I was very happy to find an easy online solution which saved me time as I prepared for his trip.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelex Insurance Services?

I trust Travelex. They paid a claim when I was sick traveling in Europe. This trip I emailed ahead for customer service and they were very prompt in their response. I wouldn't use any other insurance company when I travel.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have used Travelex Insurance Services for over 10 years and never had a claim. I feel very secure in the coverage I have purchased over the years. The online site is very easy to use and clear on the coverage. I have recommended them to several of my friends and plan on using them in the future.

I have purchased travel insurance from Travelex many times. The website is easy to navigate. The products are well described and choosing is easy. Prices are visible when ordering. I always have a paper copy of the policy sent as well as printing out the computer confirmation. All in all, a good experience with a superior product.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The Travelex website is easy to use. The cost for the benefits compares well with other insurance companies. I have used Travelex on most of my overseas trips. On one trip my co-traveler had to cancel because of a cancer diagnosis. Travelex did pay for the canceled trip.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Travelex Insurance Services

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns.

The Customer Solutions Representative mailed your Confirmation of Coverage and Description of Coverage to the address provided at the time of purchase on July 13, 2017 and it was mailed the following business day on July 14, 2017 via the United States Postal Service (USPS). Please note this can take up to 5 – 10 business days.

Please let us know if you don’t receive your documents via USPS. You may also contact us with any questions, at 1-800-228-9792, 8am-7pm CST, Monday – Friday, or by email at CustomerSolutions@TravelexInsurance.com.

Amber

Original review: July 22, 2017

Although I believed I had purchased coverage, and a pending charge appeared on my credit card, and remains there, I never have received any confirmation of this from them in over week. So I have no way of knowing if I am covered or not.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Because the conference I was planning on attending cancelled, I contacted Travelex about getting a refund on the travel insurance. The agent had to check with his supervisor and then came back to me and told me that my request for a refund had been approved. I was pleased.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Just purchased the insurance for a trip in September. Very prompt service and receipt of documents. I hope I don't need to use the insurance on my trip, but feel confidence in Travelex if I do. The friend with whom I'm travelling has used Travelex in the past with good results.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

This review refers to the ease of buying the insurance for an upcoming trip. The process went very smoothly and person I spoke to was very knowledgeable. Hopefully, I will not need to use this protection insurance and if I do hopefully it will go smoothly as well.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

For a number of years now we consistently purchased Travel insurance for our vacations through Travelex. We find the site easy to understand and to navigate and readily find affordable coverage options.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Purchasing travel insurance with Travelex was so easy! The agent was extremely helpful and answered all my questions. My sister and I were going to be traveling together (Alaska cruise) so I purchased insurance for both of us and even that was easy! I would recommend Travelex to anyone that is traveling! Purchasing insurance is worth the peace of mind!

Great price for travel insurance. Other travel insurers either cost too much or did cover 100% of the trip cost under a basic plan - had to buy up to the next level plan. Signing up was fast and easy. All of the documents were easy to understand and the insurance covers 100% of the cost of my trip should I need to use the insurance.

Resolution In Progress

Thank you for taking the time to post!

We value your feedback and sincerely apologize for your inconvenience, caused by the temporary website glitch. We have forwarded your concerns to our Technology Solutions Department to investigate.

In the meantime, on July 4th at 4:12pm, when the policy was purchased online at www.travelexinsurance.com, we emailed your Confirmation of Coverage and Description of Coverage to the email address provided.

Our Customer Solutions Department also emailed your Confirmation of Coverage and Description of Coverage, on July 17, 2017, to a different email address, per your email request on July 14th.

In the future, please feel free to call our Customer Solutions Department at 1-800-228-9792, 8am-7pm CST, Monday – Friday, for questions or assistance.

Thank you, again, and we look forward to insuring all your future trips.

Original review: July 15, 2017

Airplane Flight Insurance Policy - On 6 July 2017 I attempted to purchase a policy and received a prompt that my charge card information had not been able to be processed. I believed this was merely a temporary glitch and decided to make another attempt at a later time. However, I subsequently discovered through my credit card company that payment had indeed been made. At this point I have received no documentation from Travelex of the policy or the policy number. Any information Travelex might provide me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Travelex Insurance Services

We thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts and suggestions in writing.

We value your feedback and will certainly forward your suggestions to the appropriate party for consideration. We are happy to note that we are currently in the process of training new Customer Solutions Representatives which, in the near future, should uphold our exemplary customer service goals.

We apologize for the hold time you experienced as we are experiencing high call volumes and longer than normal wait times. We are glad to know that our Customer Solutions Representatives were able to satisfy your requests once your calls were answered. Travelex Insurance is committed to exceptional service and we appreciate your feedback.

In the future, you may review our plan options or purchase online at www.travelexinsurance.com 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You may also email our Customer Solutions Department at CustomerSolutions@travelexinsurance.com with questions.

We hope that we have addressed your concerns and we look forward to insuring your future trips.

Original review: July 15, 2017

Took me 30 minutes on the phone to get a representative. Last time I use you. The service was excellent once someone picked up. Get more people too.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

From initial call to the follow-up for quote, it all worked well for my situation. I was able to sign up for my insurance. Then the quote given for another person was followed up and purchased as well. It all was very easy. Need to follow-up to make a slight correction to my address listed. Everything else worked out well.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I received excellent customer service. The person I spoke with answered all of my questions. The representative was very polite & courteous. The wait time was very short. In addition, I would recommend Travelex Insurance Services to all my family & friends.

Thank you for taking the time to post!

We are glad to hear that we were recommended to you buy a friend.
After looking at your policy, it looks like the email that we have is incorrect.

Customer Solutions will get your Confirmation of Coverage and Description of Coverage sent out to you via email today.

In the future, you can always call our Customer Solutions Department at 1-800-228-9792, 8am-7pm CST, Monday – Friday.

Thank you, again, and we look forward to insuring all your future trips.

Amber

Original review: July 10, 2017

You came highly recommended by a friend but after filling out the info I never received a confirmation letter. Could you please send one? Hopefully we will not have to use it at all but if we do I am sure you will fulfill what you have outlined in your statements of what you will follow through with.

Travelex Insurance Services

Thank you for taking the time to put your concerns in writing.

Travelex mailed your Confirmation of Coverage and Description of Coverage to the address provided at the time of purchase on June 30, 2017 and it was mailed the following business day on July 3, 2017 via the United States Postal Service, please note this can take up to 5 – 10 business days.

The price of our policies is based on Age, Trip Cost, Length of Stay, and the Optional Upgrades chosen, at the time of purchase. Should any of these factors change it would also affect the price.

In addition, when you purchased the policy in 2014, the travelers were in a lower age bracket and there was a lower trip cost insured, this caused the policy to be lower in price then the one you purchased most recently.

I hope this clarifies all your concerns and we look forward to insuring your future trips!

Have a wonderful day!

Original review: July 8, 2017

We have yet to receive the paperwork which I asked to be sent since I do not have access to a printer all of the time. I am saddened by how much the insurance costs. This is the third time, I believe, that we have used the insurance. Every time the cost seems to increase, as if we are paying for another day's vacation. I am grateful for the insurance, but always have to recalculate the finances for now almost $500 more.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

This is the second time I have used Travelex. Great customer service. Fortunately the last time and hopefully this next time I had no claims so the real test of the insurance is unknown. I compared price and benefits and this is a MUCH greater value than cruise line insurance.

Travelex Insurance Services

We thank you for taking the time to put your concerns and suggestions in writing.

We value your feedback regarding easier access with filling out policy applications online and will certainly forward your suggestions to the appropriate party for consideration.

In the meantime, we do have a Customer Solutions department that is open 8am-7pm CST, Monday-Friday.

The Customer Solutions Representatives (CS Rep) can clone past policies, which automatically saves the previous traveler information. The CS Rep can easily remove and or add travelers for each trip as well as enter the specific data for a trip, quickly. The CS Rep can purchase the policy over the phone on your behalf or they can email you a quote. The quote will have all the traveler information and a link to Buy It Online, if you wish to review the plan details prior to purchasing.

We trust we have addressed your concerns and we hope you think of Travelex the next time you need travel insurance.

Original review: July 8, 2017

The overall website experience is very good. However, I purchase travel insurance a few times a year… Every time I need to buy a plan, I must re-enter the info - and this is for 3-6 family members. It would significantly simplify things and make more user-friendly if there was a way to create an account, login, save family into user profile. All I would need to do is to login, pick family traveling with me and enter only the data specific to a trip. The DOBs of participants could be stored and rates calculated automatically. Preferred plans could also be stored along with previous history of purchases, claims etc. Even filing a claim would be easier from within user account.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Due to emergency surgery, my husband was not able to travel on the planned date. We submitted the information from the doctors and the extra cost incurred in changing the airline ticket. We were pleased with how rapidly the claim was settled and the check in the mail. Thank you!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was very pleased with my conversation with your representative when purchasing my travel insurance. She answered my questions and asked me some pertinent questions. I feel reassured knowing that I have Travelex insurance for my trip in October. My 3 friends and I did not hesitate to purchase Travelex when we read about your coverage.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The young lady I spoke to was very informative and very nice. I have been a customer of yours before. Friends of mine just used your services too. I will also recommend you to my friends and acquaintances.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Cleveland Rocks trip: Paperwork easy to fill out. I miscalculated and sent overpayment. Company was great about promptly sending the refund and I didn't have to call. Excellent communications! I would happily refer this company to others. Thank you for your excellent service. Looking forward to working with you again.

Travelex Insurance Services

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns.

Our three main protection plans, the Travel Basic, Travel Select, and Travel Max, all offer coverage with the ability to insure or not insure your trip cost for trip cancellation coverage, which will increase or decrease the cost of the plans.

When you called our Customer Solutions Department (CS) at 3:08pm you advised you would call right back with the credit card information. We apologize for not providing our Customer Solutions Department’s hours of operation (8:00am-7:00pm CST, Mon-Fri).

The CS Representative quoted you $76.00 for the Travel Select plan, with no ($0) trip cost.

When you purchased online, you purchased the Travel Basic plan with $850 per person trip cost (includes trip cancellation coverage), which increases the cost of the protection plan.

In order to get the policy without trip cancellation (no trip cost), you would either enter a trip cost of zero ($0) or choose the option “No Trip Cancellation.”

I hope this clarifies the cost of the Travelex protection plans. Please feel free to contact our Customer Solutions Department at 1-800-228-9792 if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Amber

Original review: July 2, 2017

I was quoted a policy price of 78.00 on Friday. When I tried to call back you were closed so I had to buy a policy to start the next day for 104.00. I could not access the one that I was quoted and no one was there to help me. I didn't use the policy, but it made me upset that I had to pay for elements I didn't want and could not get the quoted price of 78.00. The agent didn't mention that I would not be able to reach someone later that day, so I assumed you were open until at least 9:00. Unfortunately, I had to overpay, so for that I was not prepared.

Satisfied with process overall. Pricing is satisfactory. Order form was a bit convoluted and could be clearer regards to what services are available and include surcharges for additional coverages if desired. Thank you. I would recommend this flight insurance to a friend.

Question and Answers - Travelex Insurance Services

What problem is Travelex Insurance trying to solve?

Travelex Insurance helps protect travelers from unexpected expenses and assists in dealing with unforeseen events which could occur while traveling.

What sets Travelex apart from the competition?

Travelex is extremely proud of our "ExFactor" advantage over the competition which entails our experienced people, excellent protection plans and exceptional customer care. We pride ourselves on the fact that every client, customer, travel agent is treated as a VIP. We understand that many people do not understand travel insurance; our clients can rely on Travelex to provide the most appropriate plan with excellent service before, after and during their trip to be sure their needs are met.

What needs does Travelex fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?

The Travelex protection plans offer 24-hour coverage for trip cancellations, flight delays, medical emergencies and evacuations and much more depending on the plan purchased. Many of the Travelex plans provide First Payer Coverage for medical expenses with no deductible. This means Travelex pays first but may recover funds from medical or other collectible insurance plans. Our plans are available through major travel providers including tour operators, cruise lines and thousands of travel agents across the country as well as online at www.travelexinsurance.com.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?

Most people do not understand the need for travel insurance. In today's world there are so many uncertainties that can impact their trip investment like trip cancellations due to natural disasters such as volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes; trip delays, sickness, injury, terrorist attacks, delayed baggage and the list goes on. The cost of one of these events would in most cases more than cover the cost of a Travelex protection plan.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about Travelex Insurance?

In addition to our travel protection plans, we offer expedited passport services, international driving permits and Travel Solve – our evacuation, security and assistance membership plan designed for a unique market of travelers.

Has Travelex received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?

Travelex Insurance Services is a nine-time winner of the Virtuoso Best Specialty Provider Award. This Award is unique in that the Virtuoso travel advisors vote for the winner. The fact that Travelex is continually recognized with this award is a tribute to the quality protection plans and exceptional service we provide every day to travel agents and travelers alike.

How has Travelex Insurance grown or evolved?

Travelex continues to modify and upgrade our plans to meet the needs of today's travelers. The company has progressed through the evolution of travel insurance products which started as simple flight accidental death and dismemberment plans offered mainly through airport counter locations, to today where Travelex offers more travel package plans sold through multiple venues including travel agents, tour operators, cruise lines and online travel agencies.

Our plans have mainly evolved with the needs of the leisure traveling public by including features such as a pre-existing medical waiver on most plans, a family friendly kids free plan, pet insurance provisions and a 'cancel for any reason' upgrade – to name a few.

How does Travelex measure success?

Customer satisfaction is the key success measurement for Travelex Insurance Services. When Travelex is able to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations, our distributors are more likely to sell more insurance, travelers are more likely to become repeat customers and both are more likely to be advocates of our company, attracting more customers for us.

Travelex measures our customer satisfaction through customer feedback surveys, industry review site ratings, agency attrition rate and customer testimonials.

Travel Insurance is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH; NAIC #10952. 1725568

Travelex Insurance Services Company Profile