4.39/5
Based on 182 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Travelex Insurance Services is a leading travel insurance provider offering a variety of protection plans and optional upgrades to fit your individual travel needs. All Travelex leisure plans include coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay, medical expense benefits, medical evacuation, lost or delayed baggage and more. With over 55 years of experience, our team is among the most experienced in the industry and is committed to helping protect your trip investment. Get a free quote today!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 15, 2018

196 Travelex Insurance Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Travelex is our "GoTo" vacation insurance choice. Unfortunately we have had to report loss and damage and Travelex has always been fast and fair. We recommend Travelex to all that are planning to travel and will continue to refer Travelex going forward.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I like the fact that Travelex is primary coverage with no deductibles and has higher coverages even with Travel Basic. What I don't like is that the rate appears to be much higher for folks over 65. My husband and I are in excellent health and feel in fact we are healthier than some 20 year olds. In our opinion this is the only downside to buying travel insurance while in your 60's. Spending over $400 for a policy for a week long cruise seems a bit high.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Several week ago, I filed a form with all the required supporting documentation for expenses incurred when our trip was delayed. I have not hear from you yet. Seems I should have heard something, even that you received my claim.

Travelex Insurance Services response

We want to thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns and we are sorry to hear that your trip did not go as planned.

Please keep in mind that insurance is highly regulated. The Claim Administrator received your completed claim forms and supporting documentation on February 6, 2018. The Claim Examiner promptly assessed the claim and payment was released February 13, 2018 (within 7 days).

We are happy to advise, you should receive your benefit check within the next 5 – 10 business days, via the United States Postal Service. If you have any questions regarding your claim, please contact the Claim Administrator at 1-866-968-2061, Monday-Friday, 7:30am-7pm CST.

We hope that the above addresses your concerns and we look forward to servicing your travel needs in the future.

Amber

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Luckily, I have never had to use the medical insurance so I cannot comment on how well you perform on that aspect. This is the fourth time we have used your Insurance for travel to the UK. It does reduce stress to know we have it.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I have used Travelex several times due to your good reputation for handling claims but have never had to file one myself. Two concerns: 1) the cost is getting too high and possibly non-competitive, even without the Cancel-for-any-reason option; 2) the policy details are plainly too long to print and carry on the trip so try to condense them and reduce the legalese. Without these fixes, my continued use of Travelex is in jeopardy.

Travelex Insurance Services response

We would like to thank you for taking the time to put your concerns in writing. We sincerely appreciate you sharing your feedback and experience with us.

The structure of the policies has changed with the transition to our new underwriter, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company. Our new products are uniquely filed and rated based on the benefits, your age at the time of purchase, and your trip cost. We did a quick comparison to a previously purchased policy and found that the price on our new policy was less for similar coverage.

Regarding your concern about the length of the policy details, we are required to make sure all the information in the Policy is available to our travelers. While we want to make sure you read it in full, it is not required to bring it with you, on the trip. When you purchased the policy, you received a single page brief description of the policy (Confirmation of Coverage), with your name and an outline of the benefits. Since this document also contains all the emergency numbers, we recommend that you take this with you, while traveling.

This being said, we have forwarded your concerns to the appropriate department, and we hope this helps to clarify some of your questions.

Amber

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelex Insurance Services?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Have used Travelex twice. My experience is that you have to "jump through certain hoops" but if you do so, they are very fair about paying whatever parts of the vacation were missed. Both times it took sending additional documentation from additional outside agencies, but both times a fair compensation was awarded.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I used your insurance in the past, but I have not had to make a claim as of yet. The online experience was easy and your prices are very competitive. Also I based my choice on reviews I saw on the web.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I have been trying to find out if our policy covers helicopter rescue. We will be in the Himalayas and will need this service. So far, the 24 hour phone number (outside of the US) on or off policy info is not 24 hour (7-8 M-F). The rep we’ve spoken to in email gave us no option for upgrading our coverage and certainly didn’t advise us on whether it was covered with or current plan. So far, I’ve gotten a claim form. That’s it. I need a bit more from my travel insurance company. Like a phone number to call or information about our coverage. You are the lifeline here. Please get back to us as soon as possible.

Travelex Insurance Services response
Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns.

On Call International does offer 24 hour travel assistance & concierge services. I have provided them with your contact information, we have listed on your policy and they will reach out to you via email.

On Call International's contact information is on your Confirmation of Coverage and in the Policy, that was emailed to you at the time of purchase and noted below for your convenience.

Telephone: (Collect/International) 1-603-328-1373
Email: mail@oncallinternational.com

Text: 858-260-0622

I hope this information is helpful and wish you safe travels.

Sincerely,

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Our family went on a trip to and it cost a lot of money. We took insurance out on that trip. We did not have to use it but we were glad we did. So now we are taking another family trip and I was referred to you. Your rates are very reasonable and so we booked it. Our trip won't be for a few months but I am glad we have insurance with you. In case we have any problems I know you will be there for us.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I have purchased travel insurance from Travelex a number of times. I usually shop and compare other travel insurance plans as well, and Travelex always seems to be about the best cost to coverage. Also I trust the Travelex brand.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I've used Travelex several times before for travel insurance. I was pleased with my experience when I broke my arm in the middle of a bike trip and couldn't participate. The charts were easy to read and understand.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I have used Travelex for groups before and done it with an agent. I did it myself this time but there was no group option available to me as I could not meet the minimum requirements. These minimum requirements are excessive. I run 1-3 trips a year of 30-60 people. Since I had no group option I had to enter 52 individual entries, 52 payment information details and review 52 payment transactions. This also meant downloading 52 confirmations. Other sites offered a group option but were much more expensive. I would love if Travelex could offer a group option to those other than agents.

Travelex Insurance Services response

We thank you for taking the time to put your concerns and suggestions in writing.

We value your feedback regarding the availability for a group option and providing easier access with filling out policy applications online. We will certainly forward your suggestions to the appropriate department for consideration.

In the meantime, we do have a Customer Solutions department that is open 8am-7pm CST, Monday-Friday at 1-800-228-9792.

The Customer Solutions Representatives (CS Rep) can clone past policies, which automatically saves the previous traveler information. The CS Rep can easily and quickly remove and/or add travelers for each trip as well as enter the specific data for a trip. The CS Rep can purchase the policy over the phone on your behalf or they can email you a quote. The quote will give you the option to review all the information prior to purchasing it, by clicking the ‘Buy It Online’ button.

We trust we have addressed your concerns and we hope you think of Travelex the next time you need travel insurance.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

This is easy to purchase, nothing complicated. Minimal coverage to full; You choose. Actually had to use it once, years ago. They responded well. Don't leave home without it. With the world the way it is, ie interruptions related to sickness, scheduling issues, weather, incompetence, lost luggage, terrorism, family emergencies, etc., you should always try to cover yourself. This is your plan B!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Easy to get a quote. Company was highly reviewed online. Online reviews changed our choice. Several questions quickly and expertly answered by agent over the phone. Only complaint is long waiting time on the phone for an agent. More than 10 minutes on the phone waiting.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Your company is who Worldmark recommend for my upcoming trip. Prices seem to be based on a person's age, not on health. I think that paying almost $700.00 for the same coverage a much younger traveler would pay roughly $300.00 for is outrageous. But because I wanted to be covered I paid the price.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns.

You are correct in your analysis. The cost for travel insurance is based on 2 factors; your Age, and insured Trip Cost, at the time of purchase of a plan . Should your trip cost change it would also affect the price.

I hope this clarifies your concerns and we look forward to insuring your future trips!

Have a wonderful day!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Travelex makes it easy to order your travel insurance on their site. I covered my whole family at a fairly reasonable rate. It includes ER medical and repatriation. I've bought before from them. Luckily, I've never had to use the policy. You buy it for peace of mind.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I have used Travelex for years. Our travel agency in 2010 suggested we use your company. Over the years I have only had one claim. The claim process was easy. I hope I never need to file a claim again, but I know that I have the peace of mind that if something would happen, I’m covered. Thanks for being there.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Your rules are your rules, requirements are your requirements. But thought you might look into my situation and be more considerate. After all my baggage was delayed 4 days and sent you proof of that. Baggage was delayed and was not able to get to town to actually purchase anything at that time. Was given clothing from other people and I said I would replace it once I get reimbursed. Was out in cottages about 10 miles from town with no transport.

Travelex Insurance Services response

We want to thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns.

Please keep in mind, the protection plan you purchased is a reimbursement policy and insurance is highly regulated. In order to validate coverage, completed claim forms and documentation (including receipts) are an important part of the claim process as it relates to the specific conditions, as listed in the plan purchased.

After speaking with the Claims Manager, Friday January 26, 2018, your claim has been closed per your request. It is our understanding that you did not incur any out of pocket expenses, while your luggage was delayed on your trip.

We empathize with your unfortunate situation; however, we trust that you understand your claim was originally accessed based on the terms and conditions of the protection plan purchased.

Travelex makes every effort to review all concerns from our clients. If you have any questions in the meantime, please feel free to contact the Claim Administrator at 1-855-205-6328, Mon-Fri 7:00 am to 7:00 pm CST.

We hope you will think of Travelex the next time you are looking to insure your travel.

Marcy

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

When I bought insurance last year to go to Portugal it was around $40.00. This insurance to Italy was double the price around $88.00. It wasn't clear what the difference was or why the rate was higher. Please let me know. Thanks.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post!

The policies that you purchased were two different policies.

The policy you purchased last year was through an airline website and you were eligible for coverage on only your flight.

The policy you purchased this year is a comprehensive plan. You are eligible for coverage on all your prepaid, non-refundable purchases. It also includes medical, which was not on the first policy.

If you have any questions or would like more clarification on the differences between the two policies, please contact our Customer Solutions Department, M-F 8:00am - 7:00pm CST, at 1-800-228-9792.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

Last year I had to cancel a trip because my spouse had a stroke and was unable to travel. I had started the process when she unexpectedly died. I received my full refund. Everyone I spoke to was very kind and understanding. I am planning two trips in the next 2 years and have purchased Travelex insurance for both.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I have used Travelex on several occasions and always found the website easy to navigate. When I have had questions the customer service representatives have been knowledgeable and professional. I would not hesitate to recommend Travelex to friends. I wish policies were available to US citizens living abroad.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

We have used Travelex Insurance for past vacations and this year decided to use them again due to their good price, seemingly good coverage, and friendly service. Travel insurance is a must for our family and we never book a vacation without it. I purchased the policy in July for our December vacation to Mexico. In October we found out we were pregnant. The pregnancy was confirmed to be 8 weeks gestation in November.

This is my sixth pregnancy. 3 of my pregnancies ended before 12 weeks of gestation, one pregnancy was a twin pregnancy in which I carried them until 21 weeks and lost them, and one pregnancy was successful in which I gave birth to my son who is now two. With the twin pregnancy, we actually cancelled our vacation as per doctor’s suggestions but ended up losing the pregnancy anyways. So we were without our babies and had already cancelled our trip. Luckily we were insured by a different travel insurance company and were refunded promptly.

Due to our past issues with making it through the first trimester of pregnancy, as well as the past experience where we cancelled a trip only to lose the pregnancy anyways, I waited to cancel our trip until our 12 week appointment in which our pregnancy was confirmed to be viable. If we did happen to miscarry before that point, we fully intended on going on our vacation. In the beginning of the Travelex policy it states that "Benefit would be provided for losses incurred by you for a covered trip cancelled up to the date and time of departure".

My 12 week doctor's appointment was 8 days before the scheduled departure of our trip. I called Travelex two weeks prior to our 12 week appointment to ensure that I was covered. The representative told me yes and briefly explained the claims process and sent me the form. No mention was made about rushing the cancellation, and according to the statement in the policy, we have until time of departure to cancel the trip. I cancelled the trip the same day as our 12 week appointment and sent the claims paperwork to Travelex the very next day.

2 weeks later when I called to inquire about our claim, we were informed that only $375.00 of our $2500.00 trip was being refunded because we did not cancel our trip immediately after our first appointment in which I was only 8 weeks pregnant and still at risk for miscarriage. However, due to the issues with my pregnancy I feel I was justified in waiting until the 12 week mark to cancel our trip and that’s the whole point of having insurance in the first place. I am disappointed that their policy is not as straightforward as it seems. I am filing my appeal today with the Travelex Claims Department. I am hoping they will make this right for us. I will be back to let everyone know the outcome.

Travelex Insurance Services response

We want to thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns and we are sorry to hear about your frustrations.

Please keep in mind that insurance is highly regulated. In order to validate coverage, completed claim forms and documentation are an important part of the claim process as it relates to the specific conditions as listed in the plan purchased.

I have contacted the Claim Administrator for the protection plan you purchased, on your behalf, and have been advised that your claim appeal is currently under review with the examiner. The examiner will respond to you directly (due to HIPAA Laws), according to their normal protocol once the review is completed.

We empathize with your unfortunate situation; however, we trust that you understand your claim was originally paid at reduced benefits, based on the terms and conditions of the protection plan purchased.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Easy to understand website and it was easy to sign up for the insurance. Medicare doesn't cover us when we are outside the United States, so it was nice to have health care coverage. We had no claim, but having the insurance gave us peace of mind when we were out of the country. We will buy again for our future trips.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I had a good experience with this travel insurance company. I had several questions that needed to be answered before my purchase and the company representative was able to answer my questions to my satisfaction. In light of that I bought the insurance. I felt good knowing that I would be covered during my trip. Fortunately, I did not have any trip issues and therefore no claims. I will most likely use this company again.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post and for the excellent rating!

We love to hear that our Customer Solutions Representatives were kind and helpful.

We look forward to insuring all your future trips.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Very helpful personnel and knowledgeable with patience. I was guided through the process and had all my questions answered. Everything (the process and the benefits) was explained to me with all the possible options available for the coverage that I was looking for. Thank you.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post!

We look forward to insuring all your future trips.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Two days ago we had to cancel a trip to Disney (3 hours) after making our reservations and purchasing travel insurance. Travelex is demanding a Doctor's note to honor our insurance coverage. Absent a note from the Doctor, they will NOT refund our money. Does anyone else NOT have time for this nonsense? I'm sure our family Physician feels the same way! Don't waste your time or your money with Travelex.

Travelex Insurance Services response

I want to thank you for taking the time to put your concerns in writing and are sorry to hear of your frustration.

I have contacted Walt Disney World (Disney) on your behalf and I am happy to advise that Disney has refunded your travel protection plan premium, back to your credit card today, December 11, 2017. You should receive the refund within the next 5 to 10 business days, depending on your banking institution.

Travelex makes every effort to review all concerns from our clients. If we can be of further service, please let us know. We hope you think of Travelex the next time you are looking to insure your travel!

Marcy

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017 I prefer buying your flight insurance from a kiosk at the airport but I regret that this service has been discontinued. I wish you would reinstate the airport on-site service and also because I was not able to fill out the online form on my Android phone. All my email addresses were all rejected as not valid. The form also had issues with filling it out. The blank space (to fill in) wouldn't let me scroll down to choose the correct country. Fortunately my husband had a computer so we were able to fill it out. Finding the form to buy insurance on your website was also extremely hard. It was buried under layers of other non relevant insurance offers.

Otherwise have been buying your flight insurance since 1971.

Travelex Insurance Services response

We value your feedback regarding easier access with filling out policy applications online and will certainly forward your suggestions to the appropriate party for consideration.

The Customer Solutions Representatives (CS Rep) can clone past policies, which automatically saves the previous traveler information. The CS Rep can easily remove and or add travelers for each trip as well as enter the specific data for a trip, quickly. The CS Rep can purchase the policy over the phone on your behalf or they can email you a quote. The quote will have all the traveler information and a link to Buy It Online, if you wish to review the plan details prior to purchasing.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Had a claim with Travelex in the past and had excellent service. We are glad to be a repeat customer with the order we placed last week. One good turn deserves another. We have also recommended Travelex to our traveling companions.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback!

We are so happy to hear about your experience and look forward to doing business with you again.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Although our six week European trip does not start until April 14th of 2019, Travelex was extremely prompt in sending my policy to me and I am pleased that we have coverage as one never knows what will happen on a trip. We usually don't have any bad things happening on our trips, but have had the occasional mishap, and it is really good to know that we are covered.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

This is the second time we have purchased insurance from Travelex. The first time we ended up using it and had no issues at all. Great people to deal with. We did not need to use the insurance the second time. We will not travel without it. We have also got our family to purchase insurance thru Travelex for their big 2 week cruse they just went on. Thank you.

Travelex Insurance Services questions and answers

What problem is Travelex Insurance trying to solve?
Travelex Insurance helps protect travelers from unexpected expenses and assists in dealing with unforeseen events which could occur while traveling.
What sets Travelex apart from the competition?
Travelex is extremely proud of our "ExFactor" advantage over the competition which entails our experienced people, excellent protection plans and exceptional customer care. We pride ourselves on the fact that every client, customer, travel agent is treated as a VIP. We understand that many people do not understand travel insurance; our clients can rely on Travelex to provide the most appropriate plan with excellent service before, after and during their trip to be sure their needs are met.
What needs does Travelex fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
The Travelex protection plans offer 24-hour coverage for trip cancellations, flight delays, medical emergencies and evacuations and much more depending on the plan purchased. Many of the Travelex plans provide First Payer Coverage for medical expenses with no deductible. This means Travelex pays first but may recover funds from medical or other collectible insurance plans. Our plans are available through major travel providers including tour operators, cruise lines and thousands of travel agents across the country as well as online at www.travelexinsurance.com.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
Most people do not understand the need for travel insurance. In today's world there are so many uncertainties that can impact their trip investment like trip cancellations due to natural disasters such as volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes; trip delays, sickness, injury, terrorist attacks, delayed baggage and the list goes on. The cost of one of these events would in most cases more than cover the cost of a Travelex protection plan.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Travelex Insurance?
In addition to our travel protection plans, we offer expedited passport services, international driving permits and Travel Solve – our evacuation, security and assistance membership plan designed for a unique market of travelers.
Has Travelex received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
Travelex Insurance Services is a nine-time winner of the Virtuoso Best Specialty Provider Award. This Award is unique in that the Virtuoso travel advisors vote for the winner. The fact that Travelex is continually recognized with this award is a tribute to the quality protection plans and exceptional service we provide every day to travel agents and travelers alike.
How has Travelex Insurance grown or evolved?
Travelex continues to modify and upgrade our plans to meet the needs of today's travelers. The company has progressed through the evolution of travel insurance products which started as simple flight accidental death and dismemberment plans offered mainly through airport counter locations, to today where Travelex offers more travel package plans sold through multiple venues including travel agents, tour operators, cruise lines and online travel agencies.

Our plans have mainly evolved with the needs of the leisure traveling public by including features such as a pre-existing medical waiver on most plans, a family friendly kids free plan, pet insurance provisions and a 'cancel for any reason' upgrade – to name a few.
How does Travelex measure success?
Customer satisfaction is the key success measurement for Travelex Insurance Services. When Travelex is able to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations, our distributors are more likely to sell more insurance, travelers are more likely to become repeat customers and both are more likely to be advocates of our company, attracting more customers for us.

Travelex measures our customer satisfaction through customer feedback surveys, industry review site ratings, agency attrition rate and customer testimonials.

Travel Insurance is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH; NAIC #10952. 1725568

Travelex Insurance Services Company Information

9140 West Dodge Road, Suite 300
Omaha
NE
www.travelexinsurance.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use