Call toll free
4.47/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Travelex Insurance Services is a leading travel insurance provider offering a variety of protection plans and optional upgrades to fit your individual travel needs. All Travelex leisure plans include coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay, medical expense benefits, medical evacuation, lost or delayed baggage and more. With over 55 years of experience, our team is among the most experienced in the industry and is committed to helping protect your trip investment. Get a free quote today!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

439 Travelex Insurance Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: March 14, 2019

I do realize I am responsible for all I write to you. It is very easy to purchase your policy and add (or not) additional protection. However, Your policy was most likely written by attorney(s) and it remains to be seen IF I need to file a claim, what will occur and the service I receive.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Though we have traveled outside of the United States many times in the past, we feel like this is the first time we've found the right travel insurance company. Given top ratings online and a wonderful conversation with a representative enables the thought that we've chosen well.

Original review: March 13, 2019

The online claim submittal is simple and easy to use. It is easy to upload supporting documents for claim processing. Only one minor suggestion as an user: While one is entering banking informations for claim payment by EFT, the user has no opportunity to review the banking informations (routing numbers & account number) are correctly entered. Any mistake here would cause the payment to be returned to TravelEx. And one has to call TravelEx to correct the mistake.

Travelex Insurance Services response
Thank you for the excellent rating and for taking the time to post your suggestion.
I agree you should be able to confirm your banking information and have escalated your suggestion onto the appropriate department for consideration.

Thank you again, in the meantime, if you have any claim questions you may contact our Claim Administrator at 1-855-205-6054 or via email at travelex.claims@bhspecialty.com, Monday-Friday 7am-7pm CST.

Marcy

Original review: March 11, 2019

I rank Travelex among the best in coverage, cost, and service. Through the years of my using Travelex Insurance to provide insurance coverage for various trips, I have always been satisfied with our overall experience. I have recently purchased its coverage again for our 2020 family vacation celebration.

Original review: March 11, 2019

We got this travel insurance and my son was hospitalized, Travelex was very helpful and constantly asking about how my son was progressing. After returning I filed all my documents and Travelex processed and reimbursed everything seamlessly. Great service and experience!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelex Insurance Services?

Original review: March 7, 2019

Enrolling online was fast and efficient. Quote seemed reasonable. Highly recommended by the NYT’s Wirecutter and other online reviews of prior purchasers were on the whole quite positive. After all, while my husband and I did not have any issues requiring us to use Travelex coverage during our 20 day trip to Northern Thailand, we really felt worry free knowing Travelex was available if it had been needed. Well worth the peace of mind.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I had no need to submit a claim and and therefore am unable to comment on customer service or speed of processing a claim. Purchasing the insurance was easy and reasonably priced. Communication by email was convenient. Thank you for providing this service. It gave me peace of mind to know that my trip was insured.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Our backpacking trip ended up getting canceled when a 20 year snow storm came through with record snowfall. I filed the claim on a Thursday the same day the trip was canceled and by the following Monday I was reimbursed the full cost of the permits. Best insurance I have ever bought.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I had questions about a family policy. The representative was very helpful, polite, pleasant, and professional. Her responses made it easier for me to choose to go with Travelex and to be prepared with necessary documents to make a successful claim if I needed to make one. Fortunately all went well with the trip so no claim was made. Having the travel insurance gave us peace of mind that made it worthwhile.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post, we appreciate the excellent rating!

We are glad that your trip went smoothly and that you had peace of mind while traveling.

Thanks again and we look forward to insuring all your future travel!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Excellent written communication with the plan - the trip will not be until May, 2019. Will follow up with additional comments after the trip. The trip will commence on May 5th thru May 12th. Until the trip has taken place, additional comments cannot be made.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I have read much about insurance coverage provided by Travelex. Rave reviews regarding coverage for ‘families’. That may be true but coverage for this senior citizen was zip. Nowhere did I ever read some Travelex policies do not cover cancellation of a trip due to health issues. Kensington Travel/Tours sold me the insurance and never said anything about limitations. Imagine my surprise when a lung infection prevented me from taking my trip and Travelex informed me I was NOT COVERED for trip cancellation. Buyers, especially senior travelers, beware.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for reaching out to us about your experience and concerns.

We have contacted Kensington Tours, on your behalf, and they are currently escalating the situation within their departments.

Once we hear back from them, we will contact you personally with the outcome.

In the meantime if you have any additional questions, or concerns, you can contact us.

Amber

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I bought the travel insurance before travelling to Panama. I didn't have to use it, but I appreciate the rapid response when I applied for it and user friendly form of using it. I will use it again in the future when travelling. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

We had to cancel our trip due to surgery. It was unexpected (that's why we planned vacation on the first place). We submitted a claim, our primary care physician filled the required form, and we got full refund.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

It was so easy to purchase. I would recommend to anyone who is traveling and need protection. It was so much cheaper than purchasing from Carnival. I am glad that I went outside to purchase insurance. I will use Travelex in the future for all trips that I will take.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

We had to cancel the family vacation because my wife got sick, so we submitted the trip cancellation claim. I called to open the claim, but the same could have been done as easy via the website. Although, the documentation required to support the claim was a bit excessive IMO (like a statement from the airline that the ticket's fare was not refundable), we did not have major issues providing all required documents, including the doctor's note, of course. Once the documents were submitted, it took about 2-3 weeks to process the claim and we were able to check the processing status online and, finally, we got a check for the full amount without any issues or additional questions. I think it makes sense to invest some time and prepare all documents upfront - makes everything go smoother. Overall, I am very satisfied with the service received and plan to use Travelex for my future travels as well.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience.

It’s important to our company to hear that our claims processes are fair and reimbursement for losses are received promptly.

Thank you again and we look forward to insuring all your future trips!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Travelex showed me on my Medical Emergency that when they say insurance they mean it!!! They Covered all my expenses caused thru my Medical Emergency with fair and easy reqs in the approx amount of 8,000. They're avail and worked along very well!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

The experience was ok. I had a little confusion as to what the difference was between the two "lines" you offer to viewers. Deluxe vs. regular. Had it not been for my friend telling me to go with the deluxe/plus... then I would not have. I still don't really know what that paid for... or what the difference was!

Travelex Insurance Services response

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Travelex offers two different policies for our travelers, the Travel Select and Travel Basic. While both will offer coverage worldwide, they have different benefit levels and upgrades. Some differences in the policies include being able insure trips that are longer than 30 days, or higher than $10,000 in trip cost, and higher medical coverage for medical emergencies that may arise while traveling. For these reasons, the Travel Select plan is normally recommended for travel outside of the United States, as it has higher benefit coverage amounts than the Travel Basic.

The website does have a side-by-side comparison, so you can find the plan that best matches what you are looking for on your trip. For your convenience, both of our policies offer a 15 Day Free Look Period. This allows you to cancel or change the policy and receive a refund of your premium within 15 days of purchase, as long as you have not already departed on your trip or filed a claim. If you have any questions or would like to change your coverage you can contact our Customer Solutions Department via email.

Thank you again, and we hope you think of Travelex the next time you are looking to insure your travel!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I first purchase travel insurance for a trip abroad in the winter of 2017. I bought a Travelex for my child and I, and a different policy for my spouse. Unfortunately, my spouse became ill and we had to extend our stay. Postponing our return flights cost about $3,000. Fortunately, we had purchased insurance. Both insurance policies covered our expenses, but Travelex was far quicker in refunding us than the other policy. For that reason, I generally choose Travelex and I always buy travel insurance when traveling.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Matt was such a great help to us! Answered all our questions with such thoroughness and patience. We would highly recommend Travelex and already have! Our wait time was minimal and the price was far better than the tour operator!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I am satisfied with Travelex thus far. I am satisfied with the quote and purchasing process, as well as with the price of the product I selected. I trust that the company and insurance product are as advertised and that there will be no issues if I have a claim or issue.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Whenever I travel internationally, about 5 x a year, Travelex goes with me! Your prices are reasonable and I appreciate being able to get a quote so easily. No long waits on hold! The peace of mind I feel using Travelex is priceless! Thank you!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Needed input on buying insurance - on hold 25 minutes three times and never an answer. Went ahead and bought insurance. Got a confirmation email & “you forgot to buy” email. A couple days later yet another forgot to buy email. What will happen if I actually need real service from you during my trip? Hopefully I won’t!

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns on Consumer Affairs.

We apologize for the longer than normal hold times you experienced when calling our customer solutions department. We are currently experiencing higher than normal call volumes. Travelex prides ourselves on our exemplary customer service and we have taken this opportunity to escalate your concerns to the appropriate department.

We would like to further explain the process for purchasing a policy online. When a policy is created and not completed, for any reason, our system turns it into a quote. Follow up emails are sent twice on all quotes, to offer travelers the opportunity to complete the purchase. This is the reason you received the additional reminders to purchase the insurance.

For your convenience, the Travel Select plan you purchased offers a 15 Day Free Look Period. This allows you to cancel the policy and receive a refund of your premium within 15 days, as long as you have not already departed on your trip or filed a claim. Our Customer Solutions Department strives to answer all emails within 24 business hours. If you would like any questions answered via email, or if you would like them to give you a call, please contact the Customer Solutions team.

All of our Travel Policies come with access to our Travel Assistance & Concierge Services partner, On Call International. They are available 24/7 in order to help with any travel needs or emergencies that occur while you are traveling. You can reach them by phone or by email. This information can also be found in the Policy Details which was emailed to you at the time of purchase.

Thank you again, and we look forward to working with you in the future!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

For some unknown reason I could not print the whole policy. At about page 15 and 16 those pages repeated themselves and no further pages could be printed. I asked for a hard copy to be mailed but haven't heard. It has been over a week.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post about your concerns on Consumer Affairs.

We have escalated your situation with our Customer Solutions department and been told that another copy will be mailed out tomorrow.

It will be sent to the address provided at the time of purchase.

If you have any questions about the policy or do not receive it within the next 5 – 10 business days, please contact Customer Solutions via email or phone.

They are available Monday – Friday, 8:00am- 7:00pm CST.

Thank you again, and we hope you have a great trip!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I have used Travelex for many years without having to make a claim. Last summer, my son got sick two days before a trip out of the country and was advised not to fly. I contacted the company immediately and filed a claim. The response was prompt and the time frame to obtain a resolution to the claim was of about two weeks. I dealt with another company in the past and it was a grueling experience to say the least even when a death certificate was sent to the company. Travelex on the other hand is prompt, transparent, professional and worth every penny. I highly recommend Travelex!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have never used Travelex Insurance before but found it to be very competitive with others available. I always hope I will not be required to use travel insurance but it's good to know that most important features of travel are covered. It gives me peace of mind, so that I can relax and enjoy my trip.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

The basic plan that I've used in the past while traveling is inexpensive but covers all my needs. I had contacted a Travelex representative via phone to ask a few questions and to ascertain if I had filled out my online application correctly. The rep answered all my questions and assisted me with the application.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I'm very disappointed that you got rid of the Multi-trip insurance! I hate having to go in and get new insurance every time I fly. Not a good client experience! If your rates weren't cheaper than everyone else's I would have gone somewhere else.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Travelex wants to thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns and suggestions.

Travelex Insurance did experience a change in our products and underwriter in November of 2017. At the current time, we do not have a plan that is available for multiple trips throughout the year. We are aware that there are still travelers who would like this type of plan and are in the process of evaluating options for an annual plan in the future.

We want to thank you for being a loyal customer and we hope that this clarifies why the product is not available at this time.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I am overseas and have medical issue. Tried to call the 24 hour hotline 3 times and every time I was disconnected without even talking to a live person. There is no collect call service in the place where I am and I looked into calling the general number but it is not 24 hours service. This is simply not acceptable.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience and we are sorry to hear of your frustration.

We escalated your concerns to On Call International, our Travel Assistance Company, on Thursday January 31, 2019 when we received your review on Consumer Affairs. We have been advised that On Call did call and email you using the phone number and email address we obtained at the time of purchasing your Travel Select policy. If you did not receive an email from them, please check your spam or junk folders to make sure it didn’t get rerouted.

If you still need assistance, you may also email On Call.

Thank you again for reaching out to us, and we hope that the rest of your trip goes smoothly.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

My first experience with Travelex and it was very, very good. The choice of coverages was easy to determine so that it fit what I needed. The costs were better than several other companies and it only took minutes to book once I determined what plan fit my trip the best. I will no doubt use this company again and would definitely recommend them to friends.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Process for hiring the insurance and entering the claim was smooth and fast. You should improve in providing a more accurate status for in-process claims. As soon as the documents are uploaded, the status showed as "In Progress" and it remained like for 12 days when the claim was paid. I believe you should show status as "Documents Received", "Documents Reviewed", "Claim In Process" and so on.

Travelex Insurance Services expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Travelex Insurance Services is a leader in the travel insurance industry. They offer a variety of plans with customizable upgrades so you can find the perfect plan for your trip.

• Variety of protection plan options: They offer various protection plans with clearly laid out coverage levels including Travel Basic, Travel Select, and Travel Max.

• Medical coverage: Get medical expense coverage of up to $100,000 per trip.

• Children travel at no additional cost: With the Travel Select plan, children under the age of 21 are included at no extra charge when accompanied by a covered adult family member.

• Extended trip duration: Single-trip policies will cover vacations of up to 180 days.

• Trip interruption coverage: In the event of an interruption, certain Travelex plans cover up to 150 percent of insured trip cost.

• Best for: leisure, luxury and family trips.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

Travelex Insurance Services questions and answers

What problem is Travelex Insurance trying to solve?
Travelex Insurance helps protect travelers from unexpected expenses and assists in dealing with unforeseen events which could occur while traveling.
What sets Travelex apart from the competition?
Travelex is extremely proud of our "ExFactor" advantage over the competition which entails our experienced people, excellent protection plans and exceptional customer care. We pride ourselves on the fact that every client, customer, travel agent is treated as a VIP. We understand that many people do not understand travel insurance; our clients can rely on Travelex to provide the most appropriate plan with excellent service before, after and during their trip to be sure their needs are met.
What needs does Travelex fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
The Travelex protection plans offer 24-hour coverage for trip cancellations, flight delays, medical emergencies and evacuations and much more depending on the plan purchased. Many of the Travelex plans provide First Payer Coverage for medical expenses with no deductible. This means Travelex pays first but may recover funds from medical or other collectible insurance plans. Our plans are available through major travel providers including tour operators, cruise lines and thousands of travel agents across the country as well as online at www.travelexinsurance.com.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
Most people do not understand the need for travel insurance. In today's world there are so many uncertainties that can impact their trip investment like trip cancellations due to natural disasters such as volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes; trip delays, sickness, injury, terrorist attacks, delayed baggage and the list goes on. The cost of one of these events would in most cases more than cover the cost of a Travelex protection plan.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Travelex Insurance?
In addition to our travel protection plans, we offer expedited passport services, international driving permits and Travel Solve – our evacuation, security and assistance membership plan designed for a unique market of travelers.
Has Travelex received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
Travelex Insurance Services is a nine-time winner of the Virtuoso Best Specialty Provider Award. This Award is unique in that the Virtuoso travel advisors vote for the winner. The fact that Travelex is continually recognized with this award is a tribute to the quality protection plans and exceptional service we provide every day to travel agents and travelers alike.
How has Travelex Insurance grown or evolved?
Travelex continues to modify and upgrade our plans to meet the needs of today's travelers. The company has progressed through the evolution of travel insurance products which started as simple flight accidental death and dismemberment plans offered mainly through airport counter locations, to today where Travelex offers more travel package plans sold through multiple venues including travel agents, tour operators, cruise lines and online travel agencies.

Our plans have mainly evolved with the needs of the leisure traveling public by including features such as a pre-existing medical waiver on most plans, a family friendly kids free plan, pet insurance provisions and a 'cancel for any reason' upgrade – to name a few.
How does Travelex measure success?
Customer satisfaction is the key success measurement for Travelex Insurance Services. When Travelex is able to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations, our distributors are more likely to sell more insurance, travelers are more likely to become repeat customers and both are more likely to be advocates of our company, attracting more customers for us.

Travelex measures our customer satisfaction through customer feedback surveys, industry review site ratings, agency attrition rate and customer testimonials.

Travel Insurance is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH; NAIC #10952. 1725568

Travelex Insurance Services Company Information