2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.69/5

Travelex Insurance Services is a leading travel insurance provider offering a variety of protection plans and optional upgrades to fit your individual travel needs. All Travelex leisure plans include coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay, medical expense benefits, medical evacuation, lost or delayed baggage and more. With over 55 years of experience, our team is among the most experienced in the industry and is committed to helping protect your trip investment. Get a free quote today!

Travelex Insurance Services Get a Quote

Travelex Insurance Services Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelex Insurance Services?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelex Insurance Services?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

Once I got to the insurance website, everything was fine. However, it was miserable getting to the proper site. It would be very helpful if you had a link to the insurance site from your Travelex website.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns Consumer Affairs. We empathize with your frustrations but wanted to take a moment to explain the situation.

In November of 2016, Cover-More Group, a leading travel insurance and assistance solutions provider based in Sydney, Australia, acquired Travelex Insurance Services. Today Travelex Insurance Services is a subsidiary of Cover-More Holdings USA, Inc. which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Zurich Insurance Group Limited (“ZIG”).

For future trips, to purchase our policies you can go online at www.TravelexInsurance.com or contact our Customer Solutions Department via phone at 1-800-228-9792 or via email at customersolutions@travelexinsurance.com.

Thank you again, and we look forward to insuring all your future travels.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I've used you guys for several years on international trips. I've never needed the insurance, BUT it is great to know that I had it!! I am a traveler who enjoys delving into the culture and excitement of a city. This means walking, trying new foods, short tours, train travel, and staying at various hotels or friend's homes. It's nice to know that if something happens I'm covered. PLUS The price was great for the coverage. PLEASE KEEP THE PRICE AFFORDABLE. THIS IS WHAT MATTERS TO MOST PEOPLE. ALSO - LIKED having the condensed info sheet. I was able to keep a doc on myself with my passport and share with the important people if something happened.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I buy a lot of policies from Travelex so I don't know what triggered this particular survey. What would make me happier since I buy a lot of policies is for you to give me a quicker way to buy the policy without having to keep giving you my information and listening to a bunch of disclaimers every time I call in. I like that people are generally easy to get on the phone and that they competently answer questions. I am now buying policies through Travelexperts because my Virtuoso agent referred me to that service. Earlier this year I had to make a large claim and Travelex did a good job of handling my case.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I've gotten Travelex for my family of 4 at least a dozen times in the past. I get it every time I travel internationally. I never had to use it in the past, but this summer, unfortunately, I had to file a claim due to flight cancellation and a one week delay. The process took about 3 weeks from start to finish. It was quick, easy and efficient. Everything was done online and payment came via Paypal. I would recommend this insurance to everyone.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience.

We are very happy to hear that your claim experience went both smoothly and quickly.

We appreciate your frequent patronage and look forward to insuring all your future travel.

Thank you again, and have a great day!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

We had to cancel two trips in the last year, both to bad-timed sicknesses. We used two different travel insurance companies. The first took seven months and absolute mountains of paperwork to refund us just $550. They kept asking for the same papers, which I submitted multiple times. It was totally ridiculous! The company for the second canceled trip, Travelex Insurance, actually refunded us more than we originally requested. It took about a month, and it only took that long because they wanted to make sure we got the same exchange rate that we’d paid. They were AWESOME. The second trip was significantly farther and longer than the first, and they were so much easier to work with, it was a total night-and-day experience. So, long story short, get Travelex Insurance!

Original review: July 1, 2020

I filed a claim because of travel interruptions I had and had went thru a lot of extra expenses cause by the epidemic. It has been three months and still have not heard anything. I had full coverage and the reason for the claim was for partial payment to see if I could recover some of the loss I incurred during the trip. I lost my job due to Covid and was hoping this would get processed but instead I was given the runaround. Very disappointed and for someone like me who travels a lot, I will not be using this service and I will be sure to let all my travel buddies know about this. Very disappointed.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for choosing Travelex Insurance Services Inc. (“Travelex Insurance”).

We acknowledge your frustration regarding the claim process. It is important to remember that insurance is highly regulated. Documentation is an important part of the policy modification process, as it relates to the Travel Select plan you purchased.

We contacted the Claims Administrator, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company (“BHSIC”). BHSIC indicates that you submitted documentation to support your claim on several dates, with the latest submission occurring on May 13, 2020. Due to the unprecedented volume of claims related to the Covid-19 pandemic, it is currently taking a minimum of 8 weeks, from the time of obtaining final documentation, for BHSIC to adjudicate claims. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

If you have any claim questions, please contact BHSIC at 1-855-205-6054 or by email at travelex.claims@bhspecialty.com, Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 7:00 pm CST.

If you have any questions for Travelex Insurance, please contact us at TISReviews@TravelexInsurance.com.

Amber

Original review: June 3, 2020

Was as timely as could be with all that is going on these days. Talking to agents was a good experience for information and guidance. Would recommend to friends. Would use again as travel insurance on future trips. Thanks again for all your help.

Original review: June 3, 2020

Even during COVID times, Travelex delivered on their insurance policies and processed my claim promptly. Would highly recommend and very happy to see an insurance company at work! Like many, I was unsure about purchasing and whether it was "legit." It's legit!!

Original review: May 29, 2020

We had a trip planned to England and Scotland in May. Bought this insurance in the summer before the virus. It was purchase on the advice of our tour agent, so we didn't read the fine print, which was a big mistake. Our trip got canceled not by us, but by the government and Travelex decided they didn't have to pay. We will schedule to go next year but will search for a reputable insurance company.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for choosing Travelex Insurance Services Inc (“Travelex Insurance”).

The Travel Select plan that you purchased is a Named Peril Policy, which means that the policy lists all reasons and exclusions for coverage, and if the situation is listed as an exclusion, then coverage does not apply. The Confirmation of Coverage and the Policy were emailed to you at the time of purchase on March 1, 2020 for your review, which included the benefits, terms, limitations, and exclusions.

In the wake of the rapidly changing and escalating global impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, Travelex Insurance is focusing our teams to respond to your questions and inquiries as soon as possible. Our top priority is servicing our clients and we can assure you Travelex Insurance is dedicated to maintaining the highest level of professional and ethical standards.

We recommend talking to your Traveler Supplier(s), (Perform International), about transferring any monies paid to a new trip. Additionally, to be of service we can offer you a One-Time Date Transfer on your policy, in order to use it for a future trip.

If you would like to obtain a Date Transfer of your policy, you will first need to cancel your claim, rather than appealing the claim decision, with BHSIC. Please contact us at TISReviews@TravelexInsurance.com, so we can help process the cancellation of your claim and apply a One-Time Date Transfer to your policy.

We are in unchartered waters and unprecedented times for the travel industry given the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, which we hope you understand.

TISReviews@TravelexInsurance.com

Resolution response: May 15, 2020

I wrote a review prior, giving them one star for refusing to refund my funds for the travel policy, payment made at the beginning of March, to go to Israel where already the Covid 19 started and I was not aware of. I fought thru my VISA and after I proved that my hotel and airline payment was refunded, they were kind enough to look at the documents and refund the funds for the insurance policy. I spent hours and hours on hold, but I succeeded and I am very grateful of one of their representative, Monica, who was patient and explained what I needed to do, what to send, understood my frustration and the point I was making, and helped me with this refund. MANY THANKS to CONSUMER AFFAIRS site who really help by posting my review. MANY THANKS and WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST AND TO BE SAFE! GOD BLESS!

Original review: May 11, 2020

I purchased the policy at the beginning of March 2020 for a trip to Israel, for treatment at the Dead Sea, starting May 30 until June 9, 2020. At that time they supposed to be aware of the fact that at the end of February Israel was already affected by the Covid-19 and was putting travelers in quarantine. Why they sold me the policy and refusing now to return my money? I am a 66 years old woman, a breast cancer survivor and considered at high risk. Where am I going when everything was cancelled and nobody knows when this pandemic will stop and when is going to be safe for me to travel?

Being old and due to my health, this was my last planned trip at the Dead Sea. I do not know if I will be able to go next year or the following, in order to get use of the policy. For now I do not appreciate for them to refuse returning my pay, once there is no trip and no services provided. I called them so many times, the hold is unbearable, there is no way to reach them. I will tell all my friends about this horrible experience and horrible travel insurance!

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post about your situation on Consumer Affairs.

We understand the experience surrounding your situation did not meet your expectations. We do empathize with you and your family and understand that the coronavirus has caused a significant disruption on our society.

We will email you directly about your options with the policy.

We appreciate your patience.

Travelex Insurance Services Inc

TISReviews@TravelexInsurance.com

Travelex Insurance Services author review by Matthew Brodsky

Travelex Insurance Services is a leader in the travel insurance industry. They offer a variety of plans with customizable upgrades so you can find the perfect plan for your trip.

• Variety of protection plan options: They offer various protection plans with clearly laid out coverage levels including Travel Basic, Travel Select, and Travel Max.

• Medical coverage: Get medical expense coverage of up to $100,000 per trip.

• Children travel at no additional cost: With the Travel Select plan, children under the age of 21 are included at no extra charge when accompanied by a covered adult family member.

• Extended trip duration: Single-trip policies will cover vacations of up to 180 days.

• Trip interruption coverage: In the event of an interruption, certain Travelex plans cover up to 150 percent of insured trip cost.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

Travelex Insurance Services questions and answers

What problem is Travelex Insurance trying to solve?
    Travelex Insurance helps protect travelers from unexpected expenses and assists in dealing with unforeseen events which could occur while traveling.
    What sets Travelex apart from the competition?
    Travelex is extremely proud of our "ExFactor" advantage over the competition which entails our experienced people, excellent protection plans and exceptional customer care. We pride ourselves on the fact that every client, customer, travel agent is treated as a VIP. We understand that many people do not understand travel insurance; our clients can rely on Travelex to provide the most appropriate plan with excellent service before, after and during their trip to be sure their needs are met.
    What needs does Travelex fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
    The Travelex protection plans offer 24-hour coverage for trip cancellations, flight delays, medical emergencies and evacuations and much more depending on the plan purchased. Many of the Travelex plans provide First Payer Coverage for medical expenses with no deductible. This means Travelex pays first but may recover funds from medical or other collectible insurance plans. Our plans are available through major travel providers including tour operators, cruise lines and thousands of travel agents across the country as well as online at www.travelexinsurance.com.
    What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
    Most people do not understand the need for travel insurance. In today's world there are so many uncertainties that can impact their trip investment like trip cancellations due to natural disasters such as volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes; trip delays, sickness, injury, terrorist attacks, delayed baggage and the list goes on. The cost of one of these events would in most cases more than cover the cost of a Travelex protection plan.
    What is something you wish every consumer knew about Travelex Insurance?
    In addition to our travel protection plans, we offer expedited passport services, international driving permits and Travel Solve – our evacuation, security and assistance membership plan designed for a unique market of travelers.
    Has Travelex received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
    Travelex Insurance Services is a nine-time winner of the Virtuoso Best Specialty Provider Award. This Award is unique in that the Virtuoso travel advisors vote for the winner. The fact that Travelex is continually recognized with this award is a tribute to the quality protection plans and exceptional service we provide every day to travel agents and travelers alike.
    How has Travelex Insurance grown or evolved?
    Travelex continues to modify and upgrade our plans to meet the needs of today's travelers. The company has progressed through the evolution of travel insurance products which started as simple flight accidental death and dismemberment plans offered mainly through airport counter locations, to today where Travelex offers more travel package plans sold through multiple venues including travel agents, tour operators, cruise lines and online travel agencies.

Our plans have mainly evolved with the needs of the leisure traveling public by including features such as a pre-existing medical waiver on most plans, a family friendly kids free plan, pet insurance provisions and a 'cancel for any reason' upgrade – to name a few.
    How does Travelex measure success?
    Customer satisfaction is the key success measurement for Travelex Insurance Services. When Travelex is able to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations, our distributors are more likely to sell more insurance, travelers are more likely to become repeat customers and both are more likely to be advocates of our company, attracting more customers for us.

Travelex measures our customer satisfaction through customer feedback surveys, industry review site ratings, agency attrition rate and customer testimonials.

Travel Insurance is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH; NAIC #10952. 1725568

Travelex Insurance Services Company Information