2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance
Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.81/5

Travelex Insurance Services is a leading travel insurance provider offering a variety of protection plans and optional upgrades to fit your individual travel needs. All Travelex leisure plans include coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay, medical expense benefits, medical evacuation, lost or delayed baggage and more. With over 55 years of experience, our team is among the most experienced in the industry and is committed to helping protect your trip investment. Get a free quote today!

Travelex Insurance Services Learn More

Travelex Insurance Services Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

Once I got to the insurance website, everything was fine. However, it was miserable getting to the proper site. It would be very helpful if you had a link to the insurance site from your Travelex website.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns Consumer Affairs. We empathize with your frustrations but wanted to take a moment to explain the situation.

In November of 2016, Cover-More Group, a leading travel insurance and assistance solutions provider based in Sydney, Australia, acquired Travelex Insurance Services. Today Travelex Insurance Services is a subsidiary of Cover-More Holdings USA, Inc. which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Zurich Insurance Group Limited (“ZIG”).

For future trips, to purchase our policies you can go online at www.TravelexInsurance.com or contact our Customer Solutions Department via phone at 1-800-228-9792 or via email at customersolutions@travelexinsurance.com.

Thank you again, and we look forward to insuring all your future travels.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I've gotten Travelex for my family of 4 at least a dozen times in the past. I get it every time I travel internationally. I never had to use it in the past, but this summer, unfortunately, I had to file a claim due to flight cancellation and a one week delay. The process took about 3 weeks from start to finish. It was quick, easy and efficient. Everything was done online and payment came via Paypal. I would recommend this insurance to everyone.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience.

We are very happy to hear that your claim experience went both smoothly and quickly.

We appreciate your frequent patronage and look forward to insuring all your future travel.

Thank you again, and have a great day!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

We had to cancel two trips in the last year, both to bad-timed sicknesses. We used two different travel insurance companies. The first took seven months and absolute mountains of paperwork to refund us just $550. They kept asking for the same papers, which I submitted multiple times. It was totally ridiculous! The company for the second canceled trip, Travelex Insurance, actually refunded us more than we originally requested. It took about a month, and it only took that long because they wanted to make sure we got the same exchange rate that we’d paid. They were AWESOME. The second trip was significantly farther and longer than the first, and they were so much easier to work with, it was a total night-and-day experience. So, long story short, get Travelex Insurance!

Original review: July 15, 2019

Purchased a Travelex policy for a cruise this year. Unfortunately I had to cancel 1 day prior to departure due to medical advice from my daughter’s PCP. First step was to call Travelex to confirm coverage. While it was easy to make contact, they would not confirm that my circumstances fell within the scope of a valid claim. Representative spoke in general terms. I asked them to go ahead and begin a claim. I received an email shortly afterwords that explained the claim process.

Initially the documentation requested seemed a bit overwhelming. My submitted claim was 14 pages including documentation from doctor, receipts, cruise documents etc. Travelex allows up to 1 year to submit this documentation. Once I gathered all documentation I scanned and emailed my claim on a Monday evening, I received an email on Friday that my claim had been accepted and would be paid. I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the quick turnaround! Honestly I expected a reply with a few hoops I needed to jump through to complete my claim.

I have read many of the good and bad reviews concerning travel insurance. The common denominator in all reviews is due diligence or lack thereof. Folks that read policy documentation and have a general idea of what was covered and what was not seem to have more favorable reviews. I will certainly use Travelex for my future insurance needs. The policy was competitively priced with comprehensive coverage. Claim process was less tedious than expected and quick.

Original review: June 15, 2019

A friend of mine recommended travel insurance for my 3 week trip to Southeast Asia. I did my research and decided on Travelex. It was a smart decision. The last leg of my trip back home from Hong Kong to LAX was canceled due to mechanical problems. I lost my connection from LAX to Tampa. I had to rebook that flight at a cost of $500. I filed all the proper paperwork with Travelex and they reimbursed me promptly. You can be sure I will get another policy with Travelex for my next international trip!

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you so much for your kind words.

It’s important to our company to hear that our claims processes are fair and reimbursement for losses are received promptly.

Thank you again and we look forward to insuring all your future travel!

Amber

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelex Insurance Services?

Resolution response: May 15, 2020

I wrote a review prior, giving them one star for refusing to refund my funds for the travel policy, payment made at the beginning of March, to go to Israel where already the Covid 19 started and I was not aware of. I fought thru my VISA and after I proved that my hotel and airline payment was refunded, they were kind enough to look at the documents and refund the funds for the insurance policy. I spent hours and hours on hold, but I succeeded and I am very grateful of one of their representative, Monica, who was patient and explained what I needed to do, what to send, understood my frustration and the point I was making, and helped me with this refund. MANY THANKS to CONSUMER AFFAIRS site who really help by posting my review. MANY THANKS and WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST AND TO BE SAFE! GOD BLESS!

Original review: May 11, 2020

I purchased the policy at the beginning of March 2020 for a trip to Israel, for treatment at the Dead Sea, starting May 30 until June 9, 2020. At that time they supposed to be aware of the fact that at the end of February Israel was already affected by the Covid-19 and was putting travelers in quarantine. Why they sold me the policy and refusing now to return my money? I am a 66 years old woman, a breast cancer survivor and considered at high risk. Where am I going when everything was cancelled and nobody knows when this pandemic will stop and when is going to be safe for me to travel?

Being old and due to my health, this was my last planned trip at the Dead Sea. I do not know if I will be able to go next year or the following, in order to get use of the policy. For now I do not appreciate for them to refuse returning my pay, once there is no trip and no services provided. I called them so many times, the hold is unbearable, there is no way to reach them. I will tell all my friends about this horrible experience and horrible travel insurance!

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post about your situation on Consumer Affairs.

We understand the experience surrounding your situation did not meet your expectations. We do empathize with you and your family and understand that the coronavirus has caused a significant disruption on our society.

We will email you directly about your options with the policy.

We appreciate your patience.

Travelex Insurance Services Inc

TISReviews@TravelexInsurance.com

Resolution response: May 11, 2020

Travelex responded with email and resolved the issue.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I booked three policies for a cruise for my family for May 2019. All cruises were cancelled by the U.S government mandate due to Covid19. I rescheduled the cruise for June 2019 and transferred the insurance to the new date. Again the government mandate cancelled our cruise due to Covid19 and the Travelex policy is they won't change the trip dates a second time. Seems like an exception should be made for Covid 19 like the airlines and cruise lines have done but customer service agent said no. I just lost $295.00.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post about your situation on Consumer Affairs.

We will email you directly about applying a date transfer, to reuse your policy towards a future trip.

We appreciate your patience.

Travelex Insurance Services Inc

TISReviews@TravelexInsurance.com

Original review: April 8, 2020

My girlfriend and I traveled overseas for 2 months this January and February. She ended up getting really sick in the 2nd month of our trip and we frequently had to go to clinics and urgent cares for her to get checked out. She ended up having to go to the ER one night and a small operation done. $4000 later in medical bills and we were quite nervous. Filed a claim with Travelex with documentation from the Doctors on what happened and our policy covered the whole thing! Tremendous financial and stress relief for us and the process was fairly easy. THANK YOU Travelex.

Original review: April 8, 2020

I was given a prompt refund when my mother tore a tendon in her foot. We were all disappointed that we were not going but the refund allows us to make this trip at another time. The service was especially prompt as my refund came when the COVID-19 stuff was heating up in the world.

Original review: April 7, 2020

All good! I didn't realize that some of my docs had not uploaded. Went back to check to ask what the delay was and as soon as I resubmitted no worries check in the bank. Thank you! Service was great and appreciate the agent I spoke with originally.

Travelex Insurance Services author review by Matthew Brodsky

Travelex Insurance Services is a leader in the travel insurance industry. They offer a variety of plans with customizable upgrades so you can find the perfect plan for your trip.

• Variety of protection plan options: They offer various protection plans with clearly laid out coverage levels including Travel Basic, Travel Select, and Travel Max.

• Medical coverage: Get medical expense coverage of up to $100,000 per trip.

• Children travel at no additional cost: With the Travel Select plan, children under the age of 21 are included at no extra charge when accompanied by a covered adult family member.

• Extended trip duration: Single-trip policies will cover vacations of up to 180 days.

• Trip interruption coverage: In the event of an interruption, certain Travelex plans cover up to 150 percent of insured trip cost.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

Travelex Insurance Services questions and answers

What problem is Travelex Insurance trying to solve?
    Travelex Insurance helps protect travelers from unexpected expenses and assists in dealing with unforeseen events which could occur while traveling.
    What sets Travelex apart from the competition?
    Travelex is extremely proud of our "ExFactor" advantage over the competition which entails our experienced people, excellent protection plans and exceptional customer care. We pride ourselves on the fact that every client, customer, travel agent is treated as a VIP. We understand that many people do not understand travel insurance; our clients can rely on Travelex to provide the most appropriate plan with excellent service before, after and during their trip to be sure their needs are met.
    What needs does Travelex fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
    The Travelex protection plans offer 24-hour coverage for trip cancellations, flight delays, medical emergencies and evacuations and much more depending on the plan purchased. Many of the Travelex plans provide First Payer Coverage for medical expenses with no deductible. This means Travelex pays first but may recover funds from medical or other collectible insurance plans. Our plans are available through major travel providers including tour operators, cruise lines and thousands of travel agents across the country as well as online at www.travelexinsurance.com.
    What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
    Most people do not understand the need for travel insurance. In today's world there are so many uncertainties that can impact their trip investment like trip cancellations due to natural disasters such as volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes; trip delays, sickness, injury, terrorist attacks, delayed baggage and the list goes on. The cost of one of these events would in most cases more than cover the cost of a Travelex protection plan.
    What is something you wish every consumer knew about Travelex Insurance?
    In addition to our travel protection plans, we offer expedited passport services, international driving permits and Travel Solve – our evacuation, security and assistance membership plan designed for a unique market of travelers.
    Has Travelex received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
    Travelex Insurance Services is a nine-time winner of the Virtuoso Best Specialty Provider Award. This Award is unique in that the Virtuoso travel advisors vote for the winner. The fact that Travelex is continually recognized with this award is a tribute to the quality protection plans and exceptional service we provide every day to travel agents and travelers alike.
    How has Travelex Insurance grown or evolved?
    Travelex continues to modify and upgrade our plans to meet the needs of today's travelers. The company has progressed through the evolution of travel insurance products which started as simple flight accidental death and dismemberment plans offered mainly through airport counter locations, to today where Travelex offers more travel package plans sold through multiple venues including travel agents, tour operators, cruise lines and online travel agencies.

Our plans have mainly evolved with the needs of the leisure traveling public by including features such as a pre-existing medical waiver on most plans, a family friendly kids free plan, pet insurance provisions and a 'cancel for any reason' upgrade – to name a few.
    How does Travelex measure success?
    Customer satisfaction is the key success measurement for Travelex Insurance Services. When Travelex is able to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations, our distributors are more likely to sell more insurance, travelers are more likely to become repeat customers and both are more likely to be advocates of our company, attracting more customers for us.

Travelex measures our customer satisfaction through customer feedback surveys, industry review site ratings, agency attrition rate and customer testimonials.

Travel Insurance is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH; NAIC #10952. 1725568

Travelex Insurance Services Company Information