Call toll free
4.57/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Travelex Insurance Services is a leading travel insurance provider offering a variety of protection plans and optional upgrades to fit your individual travel needs. All Travelex leisure plans include coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay, medical expense benefits, medical evacuation, lost or delayed baggage and more. With over 55 years of experience, our team is among the most experienced in the industry and is committed to helping protect your trip investment. Get a free quote today!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

486 Travelex Insurance Services Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: July 15, 2019

Purchased a Travelex policy for a cruise this year. Unfortunately I had to cancel 1 day prior to departure due to medical advice from my daughter’s PCP. First step was to call Travelex to confirm coverage. While it was easy to make contact, they would not confirm that my circumstances fell within the scope of a valid claim. Representative spoke in general terms. I asked them to go ahead and begin a claim. I received an email shortly afterwords that explained the claim process.

Initially the documentation requested seemed a bit overwhelming. My submitted claim was 14 pages including documentation from doctor, receipts, cruise documents etc. Travelex allows up to 1 year to submit this documentation. Once I gathered all documentation I scanned and emailed my claim on a Monday evening, I received an email on Friday that my claim had been accepted and would be paid. I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the quick turnaround! Honestly I expected a reply with a few hoops I needed to jump through to complete my claim.

I have read many of the good and bad reviews concerning travel insurance. The common denominator in all reviews is due diligence or lack thereof. Folks that read policy documentation and have a general idea of what was covered and what was not seem to have more favorable reviews. I will certainly use Travelex for my future insurance needs. The policy was competitively priced with comprehensive coverage. Claim process was less tedious than expected and quick.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Last month (March 2019) my wife and I began what was supposed to be a two-week vacation in Thailand. Two days after arriving in Bangkok, I was diagnosed with double pneumonia and was hospitalized there for 13 days. The physician required me to rest a few days after discharge before allowing us to fly back to the US. When we returned we filed a carefully documented trip interruption claim for about $10,000 with Travelex on April 9. (An arm of the insurance, On Call International, had already taken care of the hospital bill - quickly and completely, much to our amazement.)

Travelex responded the very next day (!) with an email saying that we would receive a check covering nearly the entirety of our claim. (We are still waiting to hear about one small aspect of the claim.) We received that check today (April 16). Fortunately we have filed very few insurance claims of any kind over our 70+ years, but all of the others have involved initial denials of claims, seemingly unending hassles, etc., before we finally received compensation. This has been a truly extraordinary experience. We will definitely use Travelex for all of our future travel insurance needs.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

We had to cancel the family vacation because my wife got sick, so we submitted the trip cancellation claim. I called to open the claim, but the same could have been done as easy via the website. Although, the documentation required to support the claim was a bit excessive IMO (like a statement from the airline that the ticket's fare was not refundable), we did not have major issues providing all required documents, including the doctor's note, of course. Once the documents were submitted, it took about 2-3 weeks to process the claim and we were able to check the processing status online and, finally, we got a check for the full amount without any issues or additional questions. I think it makes sense to invest some time and prepare all documents upfront - makes everything go smoother. Overall, I am very satisfied with the service received and plan to use Travelex for my future travels as well.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience.

It’s important to our company to hear that our claims processes are fair and reimbursement for losses are received promptly.

Thank you again and we look forward to insuring all your future trips!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

The experience was ok. I had a little confusion as to what the difference was between the two "lines" you offer to viewers. Deluxe vs. regular. Had it not been for my friend telling me to go with the deluxe/plus... then I would not have. I still don't really know what that paid for... or what the difference was!

Travelex Insurance Services response

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Travelex offers two different policies for our travelers, the Travel Select and Travel Basic. While both will offer coverage worldwide, they have different benefit levels and upgrades. Some differences in the policies include being able insure trips that are longer than 30 days, or higher than $10,000 in trip cost, and higher medical coverage for medical emergencies that may arise while traveling. For these reasons, the Travel Select plan is normally recommended for travel outside of the United States, as it has higher benefit coverage amounts than the Travel Basic.

The website does have a side-by-side comparison, so you can find the plan that best matches what you are looking for on your trip. For your convenience, both of our policies offer a 15 Day Free Look Period. This allows you to cancel or change the policy and receive a refund of your premium within 15 days of purchase, as long as you have not already departed on your trip or filed a claim. If you have any questions or would like to change your coverage you can contact our Customer Solutions Department via email.

Thank you again, and we hope you think of Travelex the next time you are looking to insure your travel!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

After researching several travel insurance providers, I decided on Travelex primarily because the emergency medical coverage is better and the policy provides "primary" coverage (i.e., no waiting for my personal medical insurer to reimburse me first), which is a BIG plus. I was also drawn to Travelex because the coverage has a shorter time frame before coverage is triggered (e.g., lost luggage, travel delay and the "look back" period). Even having extra time to review the policy after purchase (e.g., 15 days vs. 10 days) was comforting and gave me greater confidence in choosing Travelex over other providers.

Additionally, knowing that Travelex is a Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company, I felt reassured that the coverage would be available, if needed. I was extremely pleased with the time that the Travelex rep patiently answered all my questions about the policy before I purchased it. It was straight talk... not misleading. (I cannot say the same for a competitor's rep that I talked to.) Finally, a special "thank you" to Rhonda, a Travelex Customer Solutions Communications Representative. She was very helpful and quick to respond. I highly recommend Travelex to others.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelex Insurance Services?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Everything went smoothly. The claims were processed right away and we were given real time update in your website. We will definitely get insurance again from Travelex on our next travel. Customer service was also great and was able to answer right away our queries/concerns especially when my child was hospitalized. Thank you again.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I've gotten Travelex for my family of 4 at least a dozen times in the past. I get it every time I travel internationally. I never had to use it in the past, but this summer, unfortunately, I had to file a claim due to flight cancellation and a one week delay. The process took about 3 weeks from start to finish. It was quick, easy and efficient. Everything was done online and payment came via Paypal. I would recommend this insurance to everyone.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience.

We are very happy to hear that your claim experience went both smoothly and quickly.

We appreciate your frequent patronage and look forward to insuring all your future travel.

Thank you again, and have a great day!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Didn't need to use this, but was comforting to know that I had it just in case. I will likely get this service for future trips that I take. It was much more reasonably priced than other options I had looked at from other companies.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

Although the website was overall easy to use, which was nice, I really felt that I was taken advantage of with regard to the “cancel anytime” portion. It wasn’t until after I made the $136 purchase that I saw the requirement that this portion “must be purchased within 21 days of initial down payment of trip.” I had paid the down payment months before and would never have purchased that portion of if had been presented more clearly.

Travelex Insurance Services response

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience on Consumer Affairs.

We have contacted our Customer Solutions Department, on your behalf, and they will be reaching out to you today.

They will be able to assist with removing the optional Cancel For Any Reason upgrade, based on your in-eligibility for the upgrade.

In the future if you ever have any questions regarding the upgrades or coverage, you may contact our Customer Solutions Department at 1-800-228-9792, Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 7:00pm CST.

We hope you think Travelex the next time you need travel insurance!

Kind Regards,

Amber

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I was happy to have been able to purchase travel insurance on an upcoming trip. The website was very easy to navigate and self-explanatory. I was able to purchase the trip insurance I needed and will have a more comfortable trip knowing I am covered in the event of an unplanned issue.

Travelex Insurance Services expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Travelex Insurance Services is a leader in the travel insurance industry. They offer a variety of plans with customizable upgrades so you can find the perfect plan for your trip.

• Variety of protection plan options: They offer various protection plans with clearly laid out coverage levels including Travel Basic, Travel Select, and Travel Max.

• Medical coverage: Get medical expense coverage of up to $100,000 per trip.

• Children travel at no additional cost: With the Travel Select plan, children under the age of 21 are included at no extra charge when accompanied by a covered adult family member.

• Extended trip duration: Single-trip policies will cover vacations of up to 180 days.

• Trip interruption coverage: In the event of an interruption, certain Travelex plans cover up to 150 percent of insured trip cost.

• Best for: leisure, luxury and family trips.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

Travelex Insurance Services questions and answers

What problem is Travelex Insurance trying to solve?
Travelex Insurance helps protect travelers from unexpected expenses and assists in dealing with unforeseen events which could occur while traveling.
What sets Travelex apart from the competition?
Travelex is extremely proud of our "ExFactor" advantage over the competition which entails our experienced people, excellent protection plans and exceptional customer care. We pride ourselves on the fact that every client, customer, travel agent is treated as a VIP. We understand that many people do not understand travel insurance; our clients can rely on Travelex to provide the most appropriate plan with excellent service before, after and during their trip to be sure their needs are met.
What needs does Travelex fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
The Travelex protection plans offer 24-hour coverage for trip cancellations, flight delays, medical emergencies and evacuations and much more depending on the plan purchased. Many of the Travelex plans provide First Payer Coverage for medical expenses with no deductible. This means Travelex pays first but may recover funds from medical or other collectible insurance plans. Our plans are available through major travel providers including tour operators, cruise lines and thousands of travel agents across the country as well as online at www.travelexinsurance.com.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
Most people do not understand the need for travel insurance. In today's world there are so many uncertainties that can impact their trip investment like trip cancellations due to natural disasters such as volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes; trip delays, sickness, injury, terrorist attacks, delayed baggage and the list goes on. The cost of one of these events would in most cases more than cover the cost of a Travelex protection plan.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Travelex Insurance?
In addition to our travel protection plans, we offer expedited passport services, international driving permits and Travel Solve – our evacuation, security and assistance membership plan designed for a unique market of travelers.
Has Travelex received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
Travelex Insurance Services is a nine-time winner of the Virtuoso Best Specialty Provider Award. This Award is unique in that the Virtuoso travel advisors vote for the winner. The fact that Travelex is continually recognized with this award is a tribute to the quality protection plans and exceptional service we provide every day to travel agents and travelers alike.
How has Travelex Insurance grown or evolved?
Travelex continues to modify and upgrade our plans to meet the needs of today's travelers. The company has progressed through the evolution of travel insurance products which started as simple flight accidental death and dismemberment plans offered mainly through airport counter locations, to today where Travelex offers more travel package plans sold through multiple venues including travel agents, tour operators, cruise lines and online travel agencies.

Our plans have mainly evolved with the needs of the leisure traveling public by including features such as a pre-existing medical waiver on most plans, a family friendly kids free plan, pet insurance provisions and a 'cancel for any reason' upgrade – to name a few.
How does Travelex measure success?
Customer satisfaction is the key success measurement for Travelex Insurance Services. When Travelex is able to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations, our distributors are more likely to sell more insurance, travelers are more likely to become repeat customers and both are more likely to be advocates of our company, attracting more customers for us.

Travelex measures our customer satisfaction through customer feedback surveys, industry review site ratings, agency attrition rate and customer testimonials.

Travel Insurance is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, OH; NAIC #10952. 1725568

Travelex Insurance Services Company Information