Call toll free
4.51/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Generali Global Assistance now allows you to Travel Smarter™. As a full-service travel insurance and assistance provider, Generali offers three distinct plans built to serve the diverse needs of today’s traveler. Compare and contrast plan options online on their new website and easily check plan coverages including trip cancellation, baggage loss, medical evacuation and more.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

324 Generali Global Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I looked for travel insurance on my first trip right out of college. I was tight on money, so I wanted to make sure that if something happened I would not go down the drain. There was a comparison of the policies online and so I used that and got Generali. I bought it for the past two trips and have not needed it, and it gave me peace of mind. My husband and I traveled about twice a year and before our second trip, my husband broke his clavicle so we were not able to travel. We provided receipts and a doctor’s note to Generali then we got our money back for everything. And so with the ease of that, we continued to use them. They've been nothing but good for me. People should take a look at what they need in a trip insurance, go to the comparison site I saw, and then if they come to the same conclusion as I did, then I would tell them to go for it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I always get Generali because they are the old CSA Travel and we were very happy with CSA Travel. And I like Generali because it provides rental car insurance and I usually rent a car, and I use that for coverage.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and are glad to hear that there were no issues with your trip.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Signing up with Generali had to be easier or I could not have done it. Overall, I was satisfied with them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and hope you will consider us again for your next trip!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

A long time ago, I scheduled a trip to Turkey and the agent encouraged me to get a travel insurance. Right before I was scheduled to go on the trip, my sister passed away, so I made use of my travel insurance. I've always kept that in my mind because I would not have been able to get my trip refunded at that late time. This time, I bought a travel insurance from Generali Global Assistance just to be safe. There's a website that gives the quotes of different travel insurance companies. You state what you would be spending on your trip and they would give you the different rates. That's how I narrowed my search for a travel insurance company down and chose Generali. I did everything online and purchasing the insurance was an easy process.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I purchased travel insurance through CSA for an upcoming trip to Yosemite National Park, and unfortunately we had to cancel because of the wildfires. In my claim form, I noted that all major roads and entrances for our destination were closed due to the fires and there were mandatory evacuations issued for parts of the national park we were set to visit. Our trip was scheduled for Aug. 3-8, when major roads & park entrances were still closed due to wildfires, and I canceled on July 31.

The coverage in my insurance explicitly covered the following events (which they copied into my claim denial email): "8. A mandatory evacuation (or public official evacuation advisement in geographic areas where no mandatory evacuation orders are issued by government authorities) at your destination due to adverse weather or natural disasters. We will only pay benefits for losses occurring within 30 calendar days after the evacuation order is issued. In order to cancel your Trip, you must have 4 days or 50% of your total Trip length or less remaining at the time the mandatory evacuation ends."

AND "16. The interruption of road service for 24 hours or more due to adverse weather or natural disaster so as to prohibit you from reaching your destination. We will only pay benefits for losses occurring within 15 calendar days following the event which causes the interruption of road service." However, my claim was denied when they said the trip was not canceled due to a "covered event." Even though said covered events both occurred and were both part of the reason I canceled my trip. Essentially, they admitted I had ample reason to cancel my trip under the policy I paid for (by laying out my EXACT reasons for canceling in the list of covered events in my claim denial email) but they wanted to deny my claim nonetheless.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generali Global Assistance?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I was going on an extended overseas trip and I wanted to be reassured for it. I looked at several policies on the internet and Generali came up tops and I got them because they were cheaper. Luckily, I didn't need the insurance but it would have been the crunch point whether they performed or not if I needed them. But if someone asked, I'd tell them to go ahead and check Generali.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

My trip had a lot of upfront expenses. I paid $6,000 for a private tour and it was non-refundable, so I thought I better have insurance. Normally, I don’t bother if it’s an inexpensive trip or the airfare or the hotels could be canceled, but I had more at risk on this one. I looked online and searched for the terms of different travel insurance, and Generali had the most medical benefits, which was what I valued the most. Once I decided, it took me just a few minutes to get signed up and the procedure was fine. I did it on the web and I had to put in my name as well as how much coverage I wanted.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

We were traveling outside the country with my elderly mother and I wanted to make sure that we were covered in case we needed a travel insurance for anything, so I got one. Then, we were going to Colorado and we were staying in a lodge. They recommended Generali as our travel insurance. We said okay and we booked through them. We were able to use that travel insurance when my husband got altitude sickness while in Colorado. We had to have a doctor come to the lodge we were staying at. While he told us upfront that it would not be covered, it was our best alternative rather than driving an hour and a half to an emergency room and spending the night there. In the end, I still applied for the claim and it was paid. I like Generali very much.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I had to postpone my trip because I was sick for a couple of weeks. I submitted a claim with Generali and the process was quick and easy. They said since it was just a short time, they would just move it up a couple of weeks for me. I’m very satisfied with them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us. Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

My wife and I purchased travel insurance on-line from Generali. Due to a delayed flight and missed connection, we filed for compensation under the Trip Delay coverage in our policy. All went well until Generali told us that we needed a letter from the airline verifying the flight delay and reason for the delay in order for them to process the claim. Despite numerous calls to easyJet, multiple promises from them to provide it, easyJet has not been able to provided the required documentation. The bottom line is that Generali's travel insurance is worthless if the airline does not cooperate!

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about your negative experience and apologize for not meeting your expectations. Unfortunately, we were unable to locate your claim based on the information provided. Please contact (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com as we'd like to be able to review your claim with you.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

We were planning a very expensive trip and a strike could possibly happen. Also, we're old enough that health issues can pop up so we thought that getting travel insurance would be a good idea. I went to a site that compared several different travel insurance providers and Generali was recommended as an inexpensive but good option. Their policy was priced well and working with the company went smoothly.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I hear about Generali Global Assistance through my in-law, and I then bought from them because I was traveling with my kids. I purchased the policy over the phone, and the customer service agent I spoke with was good. I'd recommend it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I needed to go far so it was better for me to have an insurance. I shopped around and Generali had a better price. Also, they were more convenient over other travel protection companies. When I filed a claim online, their customer service responded quickly and I got my claim in a week. I recommend Generali insurance to my relatives.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We appreciate your feedback and the time it took for you to share your experience.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I chose Generali based on a coworker’s suggestion and it was pretty easy to be able to get to where I needed for a price that I thought was affordable. I just placed the order and I got their confirmation in the email. I have recommended it to other people.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: July 25, 2018

We have peace of mind if we have travel insurance especially when going overseas. We also purchase one to cover medical expenses. When we booked a cruise with MSC Cruises, I asked their representative if they work with somebody. They recommended Generali and so we decided to go with them. It was 50% cheaper than the one that we usually buy in the last six years. We purchased it online and it was easy to open there.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: July 24, 2018

We traveled twice a year and with our age, Generali's price and coverage fit us. It was also easy to buy their travel insurance. I received all my information by email and everything was fine. I'd recommend them to friends but would tell them that depending on where they'd travel, the coverage could be different.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: July 23, 2018

I have purchased from Generali in the past, and I also came across them through a link from AAA. I purchased a travel insurance because of the cost of the trip. Their cost was also better than that of other providers. The website was good, too. I was satisfied.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value your feedback and hope you will consider us again for your next trip!

Original review: July 22, 2018

A travel insurance was required for the trip I was doing and Generali Global Assistance was recommended to me by a tour operator that I was using. I also looked at three sites and I found Generali to be the most accessible in terms of telling me what the different travel plans were, what was outlined and what was covered. The website was in a very understandable language and it had very helpful charts. I felt like the coverage was very good and very competitive for what was being offered. Right after my purchase, I got an email that outlined what I bought and told me concise plans. It must have been a 25-page document with a very easy to read chart that shared a very general summary of what my coverage was. There were also specifics outlined by each section. So I was able to get this report and I’m very satisfied with that. Generali seems to be doing it right. I’d absolutely recommend and work with them again.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 20, 2018

I chose Generali Global Assistance for the price. The processing was good but the ad was deceptive because the insurance that I bought it for isn't actually covered out of country. My trip was already planned and I already had the insurance paid for. Teladoc is what sold me on the insurance and it is supposed to cover me 24 hours a day, worldwide. The only problem is they don't have any physicians licensed outside the United States and I was in the Dominican Republic. I called them and they said the ad on their website is misleading and they were sorry about that. They offered no money back and offered no assistance other than they would let somebody know. I was pissed.

They need to correct that website. My brother and I both bought the insurance through them and we'll never use them again. Do no use them. If you're planning on traveling out of the country, which is the only reason you would buy this insurance, find somebody else that's actual ad is straightforward on the internet and the person is helpful when you call.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your experience and apologize for not meeting your expectations. We want our customers to choose the correct policy to fit their needs and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com with additional questions. The plan you purchased includes a variety of services under which we can provide assistance if needed. Unfortunately, the Teledoc service may not be available in all states and international services may be limited.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I was Googling around, looking for options for travel insurance and Generali had good reviews and the coverage was pretty comprehensive. Their prices were also competitive. I got them mostly for the medical aspect because if something happened my domestic medical insurance wasn’t gonna work very well. I had one question before I bought it and they answered that. It's an easy and reasonable coverage and I would recommend it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: July 17, 2018

I was gonna be taking a trip to Florida for 10 days and the airline that I was gonna book with does not offer any refunds in the event of a reschedule. They don't give you a refund, but they will book it later. But if we were ill or something like that, then that wouldn't do us any good. I looked up Generali online and I liked what I read and it seemed to be aboveboard. I also compared their price with another company and they had the best price overall. Also the reps were professional and they knew what they were talking about. And that was the main thing. There wasn’t no hemming and hawing, and beating around the bush. Their customer service is excellent. I would definitely use them again if the occasion arose. They do what they say they will and once they quote you a price, that's pretty much it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: July 13, 2018

When you reach a certain age, you realize that it’s important to have insurance when you travel. I decided to get one from Generali Global Assistance. I could pay their rates and get the same amount of things from them as the things that the other companies were giving. I also found them to be less expensive and they seem to have to decent rating. I bought the insurance online and my interactions with their staff was very nice. My next trip is not 'til mid August and I purchased from Generali for the second time for that. I haven't filed a claim with them but I hope that if I do, they'd be a good company to work with. I also know someone that used them and they paid them immediately. All in all, I am perfectly satisfied with Generali and I would use them on any trip I‘d take in the future. I'd recommend them to others as well.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: July 10, 2018

Generali was recommended by the outfitter that I'm using for my international trip. I reviewed about three other companies and I felt like Generali had the benefits I was looking for. And then reading consumer reviews, it was rated one of the higher options. I filled out the online request and then I received some information, which was a quick response. And then from there, I went ahead and submitted the application and received a good response and a good follow-up package via email.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: July 7, 2018

We did some research and decided that Generali Global Assistance was the best. When I called and signed up, they were most helpful and reassuring.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 6, 2018

This company not only ignores claims, but is in the business of denying claims. They are there to collect a premium, but not cover claims that arise. We bought their policy in February when we arranged our trip to the Big Island. One of our family members has a serious heart condition and thus we found peace of mind purchasing this insurance to cover anything medical that may arise. What a mistake! The Big Island has had problems with the violent volcano eruption and air quality since the first of May. Who would have known about this in February???

Due to this health condition, the doctor advised not to travel to this island with the toxic air quality as it would only be a threat to an already serious condition. The claim was submitted three weeks ago. An email was received one week ago listing a name of the representative handling the claim, but no contact information for this person. I called a general number and requested contact information and after three phone calls (messages left), I was able to get him on the phone through another representative. I was quickly told my claim would not be covered. They had no interest to see documentation from the doctor. By the way, pre-existing conditions were not excluded with this policy. This is a scam and I would NEVER recommend to anyone!

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim and apologize for not meeting your expectations. The plan you purchased includes a variety of covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to cancel your trip. However, most travel insurance plans, regardless of insurance provider, only offer benefits for events that actually have occurred, not events that might occur. We urge our customers to review the coverage details listed in the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com with any questions.

Original review: June 30, 2018

The insurance claim denial was based on the following statement: "The information provided indicates your trip was interrupted due to your nontraveling family being DISCHARGED from the hospital. As there was no worsening of the condition while your coverage was in effect and the death occurred after the coverage had ended, no benefits are payable for your claim." My claim was based on my nontraveling family member being ADMITTED to the hospital during the policy period not DISCHARGED.

After numerous phone calls and forms were unsuccessful to persuade the insurance agent assigned to my claim, I requested assistance from The California Department of Insurance who requested the underwriter re-evaluate my claim. I was reimbursed by CSA Travel Protection. Small Claims Court has the authority to make a binding decision; The California Department of Insurance can only attempt to mediate the claim. I have written this review to provide information about my experience with CSA Travel Insurance to be helpful for others.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim and for not meeting your expectations. We are pleased to advise your claim has been resolved. You should be receiving an email from a dedicated team member. If you have any further questions, please contact (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I purchase a travel insurance every time I travel. I’ve been on trips where I’ve seen people taken off ships and hoping they have insurance to pay for the exorbitant cost. I called my travel agent, Vacations To Go, and I ask them who I should use, and they gave me Generali's number. Purchasing over the phone was very easy and I told the guy what I was looking for. He told me what the insurance covered and the price, of which I said fine. Then, he tried to email me, but, for some reason, I couldn’t pull up the email so he sent me the policy by mail. I gotta call them again on my next trip. I’d recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: June 10, 2018

We’d be going through the Baltics and we decided to purchase a travel insurance policy because events can come up in our life and we’ve paid a lot of money for the vacation. We heard about Generali Global Assistance from a friend. Getting the policy with Generali Global Assistance was very fast. We were able to compare products and pick the right policy for our budget. We called the customer service reps once and they were very helpful. I would tell my friends that we’re pleased so far and they should look at Generali.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: June 9, 2018

Experience tells us that we should get travel protection for all our trips. In 2004, back when Generali Global Assistance was still CSA Travel Protection, my wife had an accident on a trip and they covered us. We were in Victoria then and we submitted two claims, and it was just a matter of making a call to them. The travel people made a lot of the arrangements for us and they made sure that we were taken care of. My wife needed to have an extended seat on the plane and they arranged for that. It was a very good experience because they took care of almost everything once we called in. Since then, we've been using them and every time we took a trip, we've always had an insurance with them. The customer service has been absolutely excellent and I’d recommend them to many other people. We have a trip coming up in the next few months and we've already put in an insurance with them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: June 8, 2018

I’m going on a trip to Japan so I was looking around at travel providers and Generali seemed to be the more recommended one. Their website was okay. There were some stuff that were not very straightforward. Like if there’s a typhoon and the flight gets canceled, does it cover things like that? There are so many possibilities and I wanted to know how many of them are actually covered, but I struggled with understanding exactly what coverage I was gonna get.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about your negative experience and apologize for not meeting your expectations. We want our customers to choose the correct policy to fit their needs and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com if you have additional questions. We value your feedback and hope you will consider us again for your next trip.

Generali Global Assistance Company Information