4.1/5 (63 ratings)

About Generali Global Assistance

Generali Global Assistance is a full-service travel insurance service provider that offers three distinct plans built to serve diverse needs. You can compare and contrast plan options and check out various coverages like trip cancellation, baggage loss, medical evacuation and more on the company’s website.

Pros

• Wide variety of services
  • Operates in 25+ countries
  • Offers Iris Identity Protection app

Cons

• Services can be expensive
  • Some services redundant/unnecessary

Bottom Line

Generali offers comprehensive coverage options for travel insurance, identity protection, cyber security, home care and more. It’s available in more than 25 countries, but its services can be expensive for some.

Top Generali Global Assistance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Very easy to apply online. It was a very straightforward process and they help explained all lines of the application. They are very highly rated by many more people than the rest...

Verified

Easy to work with and answered all my questions. I’ve never bought this much insurance before so the jury is still out. The size of the trip is unusual to us. We are hoping to giv...

What is Generali Global Assistance?

Generali Global Assistance is a travel insurance provider that offers a variety of care options and travel-related aid. Its overseas travel, online security and eldercare services include:

• Travel insurance: Protects against lost luggage, cancellation and medical emergency costs.
  • Vacation rental insurance: Provides comprehensive coverage for vacation rental properties.
  • Identity and cyber protection: Wards off online identity theft attempts.
  • Beneficiary companion: Provides care after the passing of a loved one.
  • Travel assistance: Helps with overseas language interpretation, medical assistance and more.
  • Travel risk management: Provides businesses with international travel assistance and risk mitigation.
  • ScamAssist: Helps prevent credit card fraud by rating the scam likelihood of virtual messages.
  • Home care: Partners policyholders with dedicated care advisors to help take care of loved ones at home.

How does Generali Global Assistance work?

Generali Global Assistance has a multinational presence, and its services are available in more than 25 countries.You can sign up for the Generali service of your choice by calling the company. After you speak with a representative to customize a protection plan to your needs, Generali offers the option to add on extra services.

Generali travel insurance costs

Generali doesn’t list prices on its website, but the cost of its travel insurance is based on your individual trip (as stated on its website, average travel insurance prices range from 4% to 12% of the total trip cost). The company offers three different plan levels: Standard, Preferred and Premium. You can request a demo before signing up for the service.

COVID-19 travel coverage

If you, a family member or a traveling companion are diagnosed with COVID-19 before or during your trip and you meet the requirements for coverage due to sickness, you can get trip cancellation, trip interruption, travel delay or medical, dental and emergency assistance/transportation coverage.

The company will also cover additional lodging expenses and a travel insurance extension if you’re required to isolate at your destination and your return is delayed.

Generali Global Assistance FAQ

How do you file a claim with Generali Global Assistance?
Visit the Generali website to submit your claim, which will be reviewed by a company representative.
What services other than travel insurance does Generali offer?
Generali offers various insurance, identity protection and care options, including home care, scam assistance, vacation rental insurance and beneficiary companion services.
Where is Generali available?
It’s available in 25+ countries across the globe. In the U.S., Generali has offices in San Diego, California, and Bethesda, Maryland.
Who owns Generali Global Assistance?
Generali Global Assistance is owned by Europ Assistance North America, Inc., which also owns companies like Trip Mate.

Is Generali Global Assistance worth it?

Generali Global Assistance might be worth it if you want extra protection against credit card or identity fraud when traveling or making online transactions. Most Generali customers find the company’s services helpful in ensuring security and safety during overseas travel and when working online.

Generali Global Assistance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generali Global Assistance?

Original review: July 21, 2022

I took a trip with some friends and they were researching travel insurance. One of them has diabetes type 1. So, she needed a specific kind of insurance that would help also with medical stuff. She did all the research to find the best one for her at the best price and Generali was what she recommended. So, the four of us all bought it. I used it because, when I came back to the states, our luggage was delayed and I wasn't going straight home. So, I had to go to a store and buy one day's worth of clothing. It was so easy to submit a claim and get reimbursed.

The online procedure was really straightforward and basic, and then I didn't have to do anything. It was like two weeks later that the money went to my account. It was totally worth my time. I had such a good experience with Generali that if anybody was looking for travel insurance, I would recommend it. This was the first time I ever purchased travel insurance and I was skeptical. Generali converted me. If I do any significant traveling again, I would buy it.

Generali Global Assistance response

That's great to hear Dennis! Thanks so much for sharing your experience and for choosing Generali.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 6, 2022

Generali mailed me the policy when they said they were going to. When I had a question, the person that I talked to was helpful and friendly. Also, I really liked their website. It's very clear what you're covered for. There are a lot of pages to the actual policy once I read it, but the summary is really clear. I've been buying Generali for a while now and I have a big trip coming up next year that I haven't bought insurance for yet. It’s the biggest trip we've gone on, so it's more expensive, and of course, the premium is more. So the premium is gonna be over $700 for this trip. There's another insurance company that is also reputable where the premium was only $550. So we might go for the less expensive one in this case because there's such a big difference.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thanks for your feedback Linda. We love our loyal customers! Our pricing is based on a variety of factors including trip cost, trip duration, time to departure and more. We regularly review our pricing and pride ourselves on having some of the highest benefit limits for the coverages travelers need most. You can easily check our coverage limits and compare those to the competitors by viewing our plan charts at https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/view-travel-insurance-plans.html . In situations like travel delay and missed connection, the extra dollars can make a big difference. Also we recommend checking the other plans to ensure they offer things like companion hospitality expenses in case of emergency hospitalization and a sufficient emergency dental coverage.

Original review: March 12, 2022

Generali's login process didn't work well. It would say that my password is incorrect. And I kept on trying. It finally let me in. So, that was a frustrating aspect about it. Other than that, submitting the claims was straightforward on their website. They handled it within their stated guidelines. They said they would look at it within 30 days. It was day 26, and we finally heard some conversation with them. They contacted us via email. They needed additional documentation. We provided it. And that same evening, they said that they approved our claim and they would get a check to us within two weeks. And it came within a week. So, we're satisfied about that. Overall, it was a positive experience.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thanks so much Jonathan for your review. We're so glad we could help. The claims process can take some time, as our regulatory laws require a number of reviews and required documentation. Under normal circumstance, the process can take up to 30 days, however, we were glad to be able to process yours in 26. We apologize for the technical issue. We are working with our technical team to investigate and resolve. Thanks again for your business and your patience.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

Part of my decision to get Generali was the cost and part of it was the benefits they offered as far as what percent of coverage they had. I came in contact with a person when our original travel got cancelled because we booked up for 2020. I had to deal with the travel voucher. The only negative thing is what I didn't know. We had a trip planned. It got cancelled because of COVID. And we got a travel voucher. So, when I rescheduled the trip, the price almost doubled.

Generali said, "Well, part of it is because we're extending your window for travel." So I said, "Okay, fine." But when that second trip got canceled, when I was on their website, it said, the vouchers were only good for the end of the year. And when I just happened to get back on because I was looking for insurance for a different trip, it said the travel vouchers were good through 2023, which we had the trip rescheduled for. Again, I got another voucher. So, I thought I was out of pocket all that money. But they could do a little better about notifying me that, "Hey, by the way, if you didn't take your trip, you could still extend the voucher." Other than that, I would recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

We’re sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations and for any miscommunication you may have received Gary.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

We had boarded and then, probably an hour after we'd been on the plane, we were told that something happened during refueling. So the plane couldn’t be flown and we were sitting on the plane for about three hours. We were told that we were going to be rebooked for the next flight. But that wasn't until 24 hours later. November 4th was the original day we were supposed to leave but we didn't end up leaving until the 5th. The travel insurance paid for the day we missed. We had to pay for the Airbnb that we weren't there for. It took a while for a response about the claim with Generali but once they looked at the claim, it went quickly. The customer service was great. I was glad Generali was able to help compensate for something.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thanks so much Alexis for your review. We're so glad we could help. The claims process can take some time, as our regulatory laws require a number of reviews and required documentation. Under normal circumstance, the process can take up to 30 days, however, we were glad to be able to process yours in 22. Thanks again for being a loyal Generali customer.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

We decided to get travel insurance because we have traveled before and knew that we needed it. We picked Generali because we've used them before and they've been what we needed.

Generali Global Assistance response

That's great to hear Hugh! Thanks so much for your loyalty, and sharing your experience.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

My flight to Ireland was cancelled after being delayed several hours because the airline was unable to get enough crew members to staff the flight. I was rescheduled on a flight the next day. I filed a claim for my first night's lodging which was already paid for and nonrefundable. The claim was denied; the explanation was that airline staffing problems are not specifically listed as a covered event, and that I should have read my policy more carefully. DO NOT BUY INSURANCE from this company if you expect to be reimbursed. They will use any loophole to deny your claim.

Generali Global Assistance response
    Hello William. We're sorry to hear about your negative experience and apologize for not meeting your expectations. We take customer service and the claims review process very seriously and cannot stress enough that it is important to review the coverage details our plans via the Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that's provided at that time of purchase, and contact us at 800-874-2442 or email claims@generalitravelinsurance.com

should you have any questions. While the policy you purchased includes coverage for common carrier delays, the delays must be caused by adverse weather, mechanical breakdown of the aircraft, or organized labor strikes as stated in your policy document. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please reach out to us at the number or email above and we would be happy to assist you.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

I liked Generali's coverage and their price was comparable. Customer service tried to be helpful. But the 800 numbers that the representative provided to me wouldn't work because I'm not in the USA. Other than that, Generali is one company worth looking at.

Generali Global Assistance response

Hello Eric. Thanks for your feedback. We don't sell policies outside of the US at this time, which is why our toll free customer service line doesn't work outside of the US. Please email us at marketing_ecommerce@generalitravelinsurance.com if we be of further assistance.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

Generali was the best fit with where I was going and what they covered for the price. I told my friend who was traveling with me to buy it. They bought the same thing I bought.

Generali Global Assistance response

That's great to hear Laney. Thanks so much for your business and for your referral. Happy travels!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

The night before we were going on the trip, I was feeling sick, so with COVID going around I didn't want to take the chance and travel. I called Generali Global Assistance and told them that I was going to cancel because I didn't want to be on vacation with COVID. But they said there was no cancellation within 24 hours. So, I was disappointed in that, especially in a situation like we're in now with this so-called pandemic.

Generali Global Assistance response

Hello Phillip. We apologize for not meeting your expectations. Please note that only our claims department can issue claims determinations, so we encourage you to file a claim. If your note is in regards to a policy cancellation, we offer a 10-day free look back period with all of our plans to allow customers to cancel their policies, which is customary with travel insurance policies that include coverage for trip cancellation.

Generali Global Assistance Company Information