Call toll free
3.52/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Generali Global Assistance now allows you to Travel Smarter™. As a full-service travel insurance and assistance provider, Generali offers three distinct plans built to serve the diverse needs of today’s traveler. Compare and contrast plan options online on their new website and easily check plan coverages including trip cancellation, baggage loss, medical evacuation and more.

366 Generali Global Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I looked for travel insurance on my first trip right out of college. I was tight on money, so I wanted to make sure that if something happened I would not go down the drain. There was a comparison of the policies online and so I used that and got Generali. I bought it for the past two trips and have not needed it, and it gave me peace of mind. My husband and I traveled about twice a year and before our second trip, my husband broke his clavicle so we were not able to travel. We provided receipts and a doctor’s note to Generali then we got our money back for everything. And so with the ease of that, we continued to use them. They've been nothing but good for me. People should take a look at what they need in a trip insurance, go to the comparison site I saw, and then if they come to the same conclusion as I did, then I would tell them to go for it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

We were traveling outside the country with my elderly mother and I wanted to make sure that we were covered in case we needed a travel insurance for anything, so I got one. Then, we were going to Colorado and we were staying in a lodge. They recommended Generali as our travel insurance. We said okay and we booked through them. We were able to use that travel insurance when my husband got altitude sickness while in Colorado. We had to have a doctor come to the lodge we were staying at. While he told us upfront that it would not be covered, it was our best alternative rather than driving an hour and a half to an emergency room and spending the night there. In the end, I still applied for the claim and it was paid. I like Generali very much.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and hope you will consider us again for your next trip!

Original review: July 22, 2018

A travel insurance was required for the trip I was doing and Generali Global Assistance was recommended to me by a tour operator that I was using. I also looked at three sites and I found Generali to be the most accessible in terms of telling me what the different travel plans were, what was outlined and what was covered. The website was in a very understandable language and it had very helpful charts. I felt like the coverage was very good and very competitive for what was being offered. Right after my purchase, I got an email that outlined what I bought and told me concise plans. It must have been a 25-page document with a very easy to read chart that shared a very general summary of what my coverage was. There were also specifics outlined by each section. So I was able to get this report and I’m very satisfied with that. Generali seems to be doing it right. I’d absolutely recommend and work with them again.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Original review: July 13, 2018

When you reach a certain age, you realize that it’s important to have insurance when you travel. I decided to get one from Generali Global Assistance. I could pay their rates and get the same amount of things from them as the things that the other companies were giving. I also found them to be less expensive and they seem to have to decent rating. I bought the insurance online and my interactions with their staff was very nice. My next trip is not 'til mid August and I purchased from Generali for the second time for that. I haven't filed a claim with them but I hope that if I do, they'd be a good company to work with. I also know someone that used them and they paid them immediately. All in all, I am perfectly satisfied with Generali and I would use them on any trip I‘d take in the future. I'd recommend them to others as well.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: June 9, 2018

Experience tells us that we should get travel protection for all our trips. In 2004, back when Generali Global Assistance was still CSA Travel Protection, my wife had an accident on a trip and they covered us. We were in Victoria then and we submitted two claims, and it was just a matter of making a call to them. The travel people made a lot of the arrangements for us and they made sure that we were taken care of. My wife needed to have an extended seat on the plane and they arranged for that. It was a very good experience because they took care of almost everything once we called in. Since then, we've been using them and every time we took a trip, we've always had an insurance with them. The customer service has been absolutely excellent and I’d recommend them to many other people. We have a trip coming up in the next few months and we've already put in an insurance with them.

Generali Global Assistance response

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generali Global Assistance?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 9, 2019

My tour company changed the dates of my European trip by 10 days. Called to change policy dates 2 months before trip. To change dates they charged me an additional $40 and some cents - nothing else was different. That's BS!

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for the opportunity to look into this for you. The plan you purchased has matrix pricing that looks at many factors such as trip destination, number of individuals insured, trip length, seasonality, etc. In your specific case, adding the additional 10 days resulted in the premium increase. Should you have any further questions, please contact (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 3, 2019

I lost my job and they wouldn't give me my money back!! Because I lost my job more than 14 days after I booked my plan they refused to give me my money back. You book a plan in advance and don't expect something bad to happen, but you get insurance just in case it does. Pretty messed up!! NEVER USE THESE GUYS!!! Total scam and don't care about you at all!!

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your review Michael. We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim, and for not meeting your expectations. We want our customers to choose the correct policy to fit their needs and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting us with additional questions. The plan you purchased includes a variety of covered events under which we can provide coverage if an actual covered event forces you to cancel your trip. Unfortunately, the policy was not in effect for at least 14 days before the termination occurred and this is a specified requirement as part of the coverage under your plan.

Rated with 1 starResolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: April 15, 2019

This is my second time purchasing travel insurance and I will never buy from Generali again. We bought the premium policy (cancel for any reason) and as we were told by the agent, "covered no matter what" if something happens. Well happen it did. We had to drive about 90 miles to the airport the morning of our departure (not uncommon) and there was a weather anomaly caused by cold weather and lake condensation - it was not snowing and there was no inclement weather in the forecast. About a 5 mile stretch of the interstate became covered in black ice and we hit it - but we didn't hit any cars or objects - we managed to stay clear of damaging our vehicle. Multiple other vehicles were not so lucky, including the semi that pushed through a concrete wall into our lane, bringing the wall with the trailer. We were stuck - for 4 hours - and missed our flight.

I was not worried at all because we had travel insurance - and we were told "covered no matter what". So we arrived at the airport after missing our flight and with non refundable, non-transferable tickets our choices were to buy new tickets or skip our 10 year anniversary vacation trip. Even though they didn't have to - American Airlines tried to work with us as they realized the situation was far outside of our control- but we would have been stuck for another 2 days and have to take 4 connections to get to our destination (as they only fly direct once a week and all other flights were full). Generali denied our claim for the 2 new tickets ($1200) - because we didn't have a police report saying our car was damaged. I guess next time, I will do less to control my vehicle instead crashing into something, risking more lives, so I can ensure my travel insurance will kick in.

If there is a loophole, they will find it. And...I can provide a police report - there were no less than 8 cars all around us smashed and in the ditch - we just spun a few times and since it was 4am -- the traffic to hit was scarce - and the traffic that was there was in the same situation we were - caught in a weather phenomenon - trying not to harm anyone and just keep it on the road. Oh yeah, and then there was the semi. Disgusting.

Generali Global Assistance response

We are sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, the brief delay to your flight is not a covered event under your policy. We take customer service and the claims review process very seriously and cannot stress enough to our customers that it is important to review the coverage details of our plans via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase. We also have dedicated customer service representatives who can clarify the plan terms and conditions if needed.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 12, 2019

Purchased insurance for a cruise - thru Vacations to Go. My wife became ill on-board the ship. When we returned home I called Generali to let them know we have a Medicare Supplemental F plan and I would file that first - UHC minimum documentation and fairly quickly paid 80% of our expenses. I then contacted Generali and was given a claim agent - Edith **. I uploaded all the documentation to their eClaim site - left voicemails and sent text to Edith **. After not hearing anything back for 3 days I called and was put thru to Edith - who informed me their eClaim site had been down for seven days. I was then asked to email the documentation to CSA.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about your experience. It is our goal is to provide a prompt and courteous online claim experience and apologize for the issues we are having with our claims site. We have confirmed that your documents have been received and a team member will be getting back with you today.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Do not purchase! I never like to leave bad reviews but this company is just the worst. I injured my back 2 weeks before my flight and had to cancel my trip and they denied my claim. I canceled the trip and then went to the doctor. They said because I canceled and then went to the doctor that they wouldn't reimburse me at all. I am in a ton of pain and would have loved to go on this trip with my wife and now I am not going on the trip and out the money that I thought was covered by insurance. Please please don't buy insurance from them.

Generali Global Assistance response

We are sorry to hear about your experience and the circumstances surrounding your claim. Our Trip Cancellation coverage is designed to reimburse you for your prepaid non-refundable trip costs should you have to cancel your trip due to an unforeseen covered event, such as a sickness or injury of yourself, a family member or traveling companion. While plan is able to provide coverage for losses resulting from illness if certain requirements are met, the plan requires in person treatment by a Physician before cancellation.

Original review: March 30, 2019

STAY AWAY FROM GENERALI TRAVEL INSURANCE. We bought Travel Insurance from GENERALI to protect our vacation from unexpected events. The policy included coverage for trip cancellation, trip delay, trip interruption, etc. Unfortunately, after several delays, our flight was cancelled. Besides the air fares, we lost the hotel stay and tickets for events we had purchased. At least, we had travel insurance. We thought so.

We filed a claim with GENERALI and the company refused to cover the losses, even though it acknowledged that we had contracted trip cancelation insurance. The company alleged that the airline ceased operations, which only happened one day after the trip cancellation. According to GENERALI, ceased operation of the airline was not explicitly listed in the contract. This is outrageous and ridiculous. DO NOT BUY TRAVEL INSURANCE FROM GENERALI. The company you may never be compensated for your trip cancellation. Clearly, GENERALI does not care about customer satisfaction and its reputation.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim, and for not meeting your expectations. We want our customers to choose the correct policy to fit their needs and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting us with additional questions. The plan you purchased includes a variety of covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to cancel your trip. Unfortunately the plan does not include coverage for financial insolvency.

Rated with 1 starResolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: March 28, 2019

My husband and I had purchased a 5 day cruise for March for my son and his family as a Christmas gift. At the end of January, my son unexpectedly lost his job. We felt that his time should be spent looking for another job and he didn't have the money or time to waste on a vacation. I filed the papers with Royal Caribbean and receive their portion of the fare within 7 days. However, after filing claim papers with Generali, the claim was denied because my son had not been employed a year at the job he lost. Can you tell me what difference that makes! And, how was I to know when he was employed there!

I am very upset to lose $1900 dollars because of this ridiculous rule. I only wish there was some recourse to take. I have shared with all my friends on Facebook and well as all their friends so that none of them will make the mistake of using this company. As long as you don't need to file a claim with them, I guess the reviews listing them as wonderful are correct. However, I hope you never need to file a claim. Linda **, Texas.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim, and for not meeting your expectations. We want our customers to choose the correct policy to fit their needs and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting us with additional questions. The plan you purchased includes a variety of covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to cancel your trip. Unfortunately continuous employment with the same employer is a specific requirement for coverage.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I purchased Tickets on March 8, 2019. I cannot make the trip and now they don't want to cover the tickets. I called and talked to them and I was told that I am basically screwed. That it will not be covered. What is the use in buying the trip protection plan when they always have an excuse for not covering the ticket. So now I am out 1600 dollars. I would advise everyone to think before you pay these people for coverage. It is another scam from CA.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim, and for not meeting your expectations. We want our customers to choose the correct policy to fit their needs and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting us with additional questions. The plan you purchased includes a variety of covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to cancel your trip. The plan is unfortunately unable to provide coverage for every event that might cause you to cancel.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Didn't get help when called the emergency number while on our trip, was told to call the third party we booked through. After filing a claim, it was denied, received standard emails, never answers to questions. Made several phone calls for help always a voice mail, STILL WAITING ON A RETURN CALL from the adjuster and the supervisor! Going on 3 weeks now. First time to purchase through them and will be last!

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about your negative experience and apologize for not meeting your expectations. Our goal is to provide a prompt and courteous claim experience to all of our customers. The plan you purchased includes a variety of covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to incur additional trip costs. Unfortunately exclusions apply to your coverage. A dedicated team member will be getting back with you soon to provide further clarification.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Had a long planned month in Florida. Vacation canceled due to a family member illness. We decided to protect our vacation with travel insurance. It’s a good thing we did because the $162.00 we paid for the policy protected us from a $3,600.00 loss. What was amazing was the fact that General Global Insurance responded to our claim so quickly and returned a refund immediately. Thank you!

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: March 11, 2019

My wife and I purchased airline tickets and travel insurance on the on the same transaction on 1/24/2019. We were to leave on 1/31/2019 and return on 2/12/2109. On the following Monday 1/28/2019 she had a scheduled doctor appointment. The doctor sent us to the ER and she was hospitalized for a week. The insurance denied our claim because her symptoms started before the policy was started. We did not know she had pneumonia because of shortness of breath. Beware of purchasing a policy if you have any symptoms you might be hospitalized for.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your experience, and for not meeting your expectations. We want our customers to choose the correct policy to fit their needs and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting us with additional questions. The plan you purchased includes a variety of covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to cancel your trip, but unfortunately it does not include illnesses that commence before coverage begins.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I always use travel insurance. Previously, I was going with Travel Select as they're a Wisconsin brand but on this one trip, I decided I'd use Generali Global Assistance as they are the group that Vacations To Go uses. I felt confident since Vacations To Go is the largest travel agency in the country. Based on my experience, I'd definitely recommend them and I plan on using them again.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I called Generali when I purchased the travel insurance and asked a couple of questions. Their price is considerably less than the others. I would recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value your feedback and hope you will consider us again for your next trip!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I looked for travel insurance and top-rated companies and Generali Global Assistance was one of several. I examined the policy and did a comparison, and I chose them. I did a comparative analysis of benefits versus price. I’ve used Generali Global Assistance twice -- once when I went to Russia, and when we went to England.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I required insurance for my travel so when I travelled last year, I looked around and found Generali's pricing competitive and I picked it up. It was a group program. I wanted to check if everything was covered based on the expectations of the tour I was going on and their customer service answered my questions. I traveled and came back. I didn’t need it, so that was good news.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and are glad to hear that there were no issues with your trip.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I purchased Generali travel insurance for the delays and cancellation. When I purchased it, they just automatically said that this is what they charge and I wasn't able to compare products and pick the right policy for my budget. I've used them before on another trip that we booked to Mexico, and I didn’t have to contact them. Sometimes I think that I'm just giving my money away but Generali gives me a little bit of assurance that I'll get my money back or they'll help me out.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your review! We want our customers’ online interactions to be seamless and smooth. Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and hope you will consider us again for your next trip!

Rated with 1 starResolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

We arrived in Lima, Peru and learned that our flight to Cusco the next day was cancelled. The airline went bankrupt, and we found out that day. If we didn't make it to Cusco on time, our Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu (reserved five months earlier -- and the ENTIRE reason we purchased travel insurance) would be forfeited, with no way to reschedule. So we booked new flights, paid same day fare, and felt good because we'd paid for travel insurance. Until we learned that Generali's coverage was useless. We won't use them again, and encourage you to find a more trustworthy insurance company.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim, and for not meeting your expectations. We want our customers to choose the correct policy to fit their needs and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting us with additional questions. The plan you purchased includes a variety of covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to cancel your trip. Unfortunately it does not include coverage due to the airline's financial insolvency as it was not part of your coverage.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I started using Generali two years ago. I've gone with them considering the coverage and the cost of their travel insurance. Their customer service was very efficient when I called. I asked questions and the people were very nice and they seem to know their product. When I asked them to send me things, they did.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Rated with 1 starResolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I am not commenting on Trivago but on CSA travel insurance. If you consider buying it, don't!!! I did, $140.00 worth because they assured me I would receive up to $600.00 if my job ended early. It did by 3 weeks and now they tell me it is only good if I cancel within 24 hours of making the reservation!! Just an alert, don't take their word or their insurance!!

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim and apologize for not meeting your expectations. We want our customers to choose the correct policy to fit their needs and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting us with additional questions. The plan you purchased includes a variety of covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to cancel your trip. Unfortunately your plan was unable to provide coverage for trip interruption as it was not included as part of your coverage. Had this coverage been included it would still not cover you in your case as temp employees and independent contractors are excluded.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

We were traveling to Europe and we did a search on the web for a travel insurance. My wife knew that it was something that we needed done. Generali had a much better plan than the other different companies I looked at. They were very good and I got all the information I needed.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

My sister and my nephew were here visiting from Greece, and my nephew got sick. I had to use my credit card to take him to urgent care. I'm still not done with the claim at Generali. I submitted a bunch of paperwork, and then they said to me," Oh, no. You have to submit these ones." And so, I'm kinda caught in the run-around. They also told me the paperwork needs to be submitted somewhere else. I submitted somewhere else, and I even took pictures of my sister's passport. I took picture of the invoice from the doctor and I submitted them all. Generali is not helping because it's still up in the air.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim, and for not meeting your expectations. Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. Your claim has been reviewed, and it has been determined that additional documentation is needed from the insured in order to process. A dedicated team member will be getting back with you soon. Please contact us if you have additional questions.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Generali came up when I booked my flight to Expedia and I bought travel insurance from them just to be on the safe side. I've had it before so, I decided to stay with them. I feel better and safer knowing that I'm covered with the insurance.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We’ve been on many, many cruises. When we first started cruising, my husband’s dad died. We didn’t have insurance then and it was quite expensive to get back. So, we decided to take out a travel insurance when we go. We’ve been taking it out through CSA Travel and we’ve been doing it for years. Generali Global Assistance is the carrier that CSA Travel uses. Their rates seem reasonable for the coverage that we want. So far, we’re just hanging out hoping that if we ever have to use them, they would come through for us. I would recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Do NOT purchase the travel protection insurance from this company. We contacted the company to tell them we would need a refund for the condo we rented due to a tragic death in our family. Our son’s girlfriend (who was going to travel with us) died. The people I spoke with were the most unsympathetic and uncaring people I’ve ever encountered. They insisted on a death certificate. I explained that it would be extremely inappropriate and unacceptable to ask her family during their time of grieving for a death certificate. The company made certain to tell me that even if a death certificate was provided the policy does not cover a death due to a pre existing condition or death by suicide. The company didn’t care that we needed to plan and host a memorial service. If you cannot cancel a vacation due to a death what can you cancel for? Stay away from CSA Travel Protection. You will be wasting your money, time, and energy.

Generali Global Assistance response

We’re very sorry for your loss. We do take our customer service very seriously and we invite you to contact us privately to discuss the details of your coverage. Given the sensitivity of the circumstances, we do not believe that it is appropriate to provide any additional detail in this forum.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We used Generali Global for travel insurance when we were going on a very long trip with children and wanted to make sure we were taken care of. I emailed them to submit a claim and it was easy. If someone needed insurance, I would tell them to go for Generali Global and use it.

Generali Global Assistance Company Information