Call toll free
4.47/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Generali Global Assistance now allows you to Travel Smarter™. As a full-service travel insurance and assistance provider, Generali offers three distinct plans built to serve the diverse needs of today’s traveler. Compare and contrast plan options online on their new website and easily check plan coverages including trip cancellation, baggage loss, medical evacuation and more.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

338 Generali Global Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

We’ve been using Generali for years and their website is really easy to use as well as easy to compare. I got coverage from them for a trip to Disney World in May. I’m cautious that way and I like to make sure I am covered in case anything happens. It’s worth the money to have that instead of having to pay out of pocket. I’d rather pay a 100 bucks for insurance and not use it than having to pay thousands and thousands for something that I could’ve only spent a little bit on. Also, I’d pick a higher-rated coverage if we were on a cruise. Get Generali if you’re gonna get travel insurance.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and hope you will consider us again for your next trip!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I had used Generali Global Assistance on a trip several years ago and I had a bit of a claim and they paid it. I went with them the second time when I got on a Road Scholar trip and Generali's trip insurance was cheaper than theirs. I've referred Generali to other people, and I told them it is a good place to go if they needed a travel insurance.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

My wife and I are at our early 70's, and we’re concerned that if something happens to us on a trip, we’ll make sure that we’re covered well with insurance. We looked at the options that were offered by each of the insurance companies, and then compared it to the premiums, and Generali came up on top. Then we had to file a claim where we had a bruised area, sprained ankle, and the doctor took an X-ray, which entailed a large charge, which will be covered. We submitted all the paperwork that they asked for and we have acknowledgement that they have accepted the claim. What little experience I’ve had with them, they’ve stood behind the policy and only for a few hundred dollars. I’m very pleased with them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and are glad to hear that, although you had some medical issues during your trip, we were able to help.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Getting a travel insurance was a safe venture for reassurance just in case something happens. If you don’t get it, you regret not having it. I searched on the internet and because of the reviews, I signed up with Generali. I filed a claim for a trip cancellation when my wife, who was not traveling with me, required an urgent operation. They decided that it was a preexisting condition based on a very generalized vague and non-specific symptom that appeared months before the trip was even planned. They related it to her having cancer and denied the claim. It took a lot of measures and appeals but they just refused. Every business is in the business of making money. So, to that end, they were protecting their interests but they could have been understanding of the situation. I would advise friends not to work with Generali.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim and apologize for not meeting your expectations. We want our customers to choose the correct policy to fit their needs and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com with additional questions. The plan you purchased includes a variety of covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to cancel your trip. The plan is unfortunately unable to provide coverage due to medical treatment that was sought prior to coverage being in effect.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

We travel quite a bit and when we’re out of the country, we’re worried about medical expenses. I did a comparison with another company that I used years ago and I noticed that Generali's rate was lower and it looked like all the features were the same. I also checked their ratings and saw that it was highly rated. We purchased our travel insurance through their website, which is very user-friendly.

Generali Global Assistance response

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generali Global Assistance?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Generali's price was cheaper and I bought the insurance for just in case when I went on a trip to Panama. I did everything online and it was easy to choose the coverage that I wanted and the price that I could afford and to just do it. I got really prompt emails and then all the information I needed was really quick. I like that because I don't like to worry about it too much. I like to buy it and forget about it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We appreciate your feedback and the time it took for you to share your experience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

When it's time to get our money all is very easy, when Generali sold us the plan, everything was wonderful, only benefits, now the reality is a nightmare. First, in 11 years We lost at least 15% of the invested money due to Generali magnificent investments. In the other hand, in the moment we have the need of a partial surrender to attend an URGENT unexpected spent, we are talking about OUR MONEY, Generali always find the way to deny the request and keep it. Generali ask for certified copy of Proof of Address, printed and received by mail, I would like to inform you that in 2018, all the documents from Banks, public services, and other services, have the option, more if you want to help the planet, to receive it in electronic format, the world is working this way.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about your negative experience and apologize for not meeting your expectations. Unfortunately, we were unable to locate your policy or a claim based on the information provided. Please contact (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com as we'd like to be able to review your claim with you.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I travel everywhere and I would like to be insured and protected. We went on a trip to India and I wanted to be sure there was not gonna be surprises. Generali had a couple of options and I read them and then choose what I thought was gonna fit for us. So far, I have been on a few trips. The one to India was a major trip and it was expensive. But, the insurance for my smaller trips has been reasonable. It's good when Generali shows everything that they protect. But it will be better to have some more explanations on some things just to be sure that people understand what they cover and what they don't. There are things that are not sufficient and for some people, it could be confusing.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I bought a company insurance policy in May. I found Generali Global Assistance on the internet, and I googled the reviews to see if there was any negative feedback. I rely heavily on that type of research and it appeared that they’d been in business for a while. I understood what the policy covers and not cover pre-existing conditions. It seemed like if I had a claim, they would pay out. I purchased it online and they sent me all the materials.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and are glad to hear that there were no issues with your trip.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I went to AAA for travel insurance and they were a bit expensive, so I decided to go with Generali instead since I saw some decent reviews about them. They're a good company to consider if it's a good value for money. Their buying process was very easy too.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us. Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I always get a travel insurance and I was looking at different options and with Generali, I could buy the insurance right before I left instead of buying it when I bought my plane ticket. Most of it was online and then, I talked to their rep on the phone before I was done. It was a good experience with their rep. The cost might have been a hair higher than other places but not much. I would tell people about Generali if they asked. I had no bad experiences at all.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

We had previously used CSA and they were purchased by Generali. The price was similar and I've had good experiences in the past, though it seemed like their pricing appeared to be a little bit higher than what I'm used to. Nevertheless, their customer service was excellent.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I am so thankful I purchased the CSA travel protection insurance when I booked our family vacation. My son was in a terrible automobile accident 3 days prior to us leaving for our trip and I had to submit a claim to recover our cost. The process is like any other claim if you have never submitted one, you need to have a copy of the doctor reports etc. I was contacted by phone for initially and then continued corresponded through email. It took about 2 months to process but we received a full refund. It was well worth the small price to pay when you are already spending thousands on a trip. Plan the trip and buy the insurance!

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We're so sorry to hear about your son's accident and hope he is doing well. We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

When we go on trips, I buy travel insurance and I used to buy it from American Express for many years but they stopped selling it. I researched online and saw Generali Global. I had a great experience with their customer service. My criteria were the cost of the policy and they took the time to explain how the policy worked. The claims process took around a month and we had to submit certain paperwork, expenses and other information. That was my first time where we actually had to file a claim. Everything was explained and they had very clear terms. I would highly recommend this insurance.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I looked for travel insurance on my first trip right out of college. I was tight on money, so I wanted to make sure that if something happened I would not go down the drain. There was a comparison of the policies online and so I used that and got Generali. I bought it for the past two trips and have not needed it, and it gave me peace of mind. My husband and I traveled about twice a year and before our second trip, my husband broke his clavicle so we were not able to travel. We provided receipts and a doctor’s note to Generali then we got our money back for everything. And so with the ease of that, we continued to use them. They've been nothing but good for me. People should take a look at what they need in a trip insurance, go to the comparison site I saw, and then if they come to the same conclusion as I did, then I would tell them to go for it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I always get Generali because they are the old CSA Travel and we were very happy with CSA Travel. And I like Generali because it provides rental car insurance and I usually rent a car, and I use that for coverage.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Signing up with Generali had to be easier or I could not have done it. Overall, I was satisfied with them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

A long time ago, I scheduled a trip to Turkey and the agent encouraged me to get a travel insurance. Right before I was scheduled to go on the trip, my sister passed away, so I made use of my travel insurance. I've always kept that in my mind because I would not have been able to get my trip refunded at that late time. This time, I bought a travel insurance from Generali Global Assistance just to be safe. There's a website that gives the quotes of different travel insurance companies. You state what you would be spending on your trip and they would give you the different rates. That's how I narrowed my search for a travel insurance company down and chose Generali. I did everything online and purchasing the insurance was an easy process.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I purchased travel insurance through CSA for an upcoming trip to Yosemite National Park, and unfortunately we had to cancel because of the wildfires. In my claim form, I noted that all major roads and entrances for our destination were closed due to the fires and there were mandatory evacuations issued for parts of the national park we were set to visit. Our trip was scheduled for Aug. 3-8, when major roads & park entrances were still closed due to wildfires, and I canceled on July 31.

The coverage in my insurance explicitly covered the following events (which they copied into my claim denial email): "8. A mandatory evacuation (or public official evacuation advisement in geographic areas where no mandatory evacuation orders are issued by government authorities) at your destination due to adverse weather or natural disasters. We will only pay benefits for losses occurring within 30 calendar days after the evacuation order is issued. In order to cancel your Trip, you must have 4 days or 50% of your total Trip length or less remaining at the time the mandatory evacuation ends."

AND "16. The interruption of road service for 24 hours or more due to adverse weather or natural disaster so as to prohibit you from reaching your destination. We will only pay benefits for losses occurring within 15 calendar days following the event which causes the interruption of road service." However, my claim was denied when they said the trip was not canceled due to a "covered event." Even though said covered events both occurred and were both part of the reason I canceled my trip. Essentially, they admitted I had ample reason to cancel my trip under the policy I paid for (by laying out my EXACT reasons for canceling in the list of covered events in my claim denial email) but they wanted to deny my claim nonetheless.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I was going on an extended overseas trip and I wanted to be reassured for it. I looked at several policies on the internet and Generali came up tops and I got them because they were cheaper. Luckily, I didn't need the insurance but it would have been the crunch point whether they performed or not if I needed them. But if someone asked, I'd tell them to go ahead and check Generali.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

My trip had a lot of upfront expenses. I paid $6,000 for a private tour and it was non-refundable, so I thought I better have insurance. Normally, I don’t bother if it’s an inexpensive trip or the airfare or the hotels could be canceled, but I had more at risk on this one. I looked online and searched for the terms of different travel insurance, and Generali had the most medical benefits, which was what I valued the most. Once I decided, it took me just a few minutes to get signed up and the procedure was fine. I did it on the web and I had to put in my name as well as how much coverage I wanted.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

We were traveling outside the country with my elderly mother and I wanted to make sure that we were covered in case we needed a travel insurance for anything, so I got one. Then, we were going to Colorado and we were staying in a lodge. They recommended Generali as our travel insurance. We said okay and we booked through them. We were able to use that travel insurance when my husband got altitude sickness while in Colorado. We had to have a doctor come to the lodge we were staying at. While he told us upfront that it would not be covered, it was our best alternative rather than driving an hour and a half to an emergency room and spending the night there. In the end, I still applied for the claim and it was paid. I like Generali very much.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I had to postpone my trip because I was sick for a couple of weeks. I submitted a claim with Generali and the process was quick and easy. They said since it was just a short time, they would just move it up a couple of weeks for me. I’m very satisfied with them.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

My wife and I purchased travel insurance on-line from Generali. Due to a delayed flight and missed connection, we filed for compensation under the Trip Delay coverage in our policy. All went well until Generali told us that we needed a letter from the airline verifying the flight delay and reason for the delay in order for them to process the claim. Despite numerous calls to easyJet, multiple promises from them to provide it, easyJet has not been able to provided the required documentation. The bottom line is that Generali's travel insurance is worthless if the airline does not cooperate!

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about your negative experience and apologize for not meeting your expectations. Unfortunately, we were unable to locate your claim based on the information provided. Please contact (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com as we'd like to be able to review your claim with you.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

We were planning a very expensive trip and a strike could possibly happen. Also, we're old enough that health issues can pop up so we thought that getting travel insurance would be a good idea. I went to a site that compared several different travel insurance providers and Generali was recommended as an inexpensive but good option. Their policy was priced well and working with the company went smoothly.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I hear about Generali Global Assistance through my in-law, and I then bought from them because I was traveling with my kids. I purchased the policy over the phone, and the customer service agent I spoke with was good. I'd recommend it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I needed to go far so it was better for me to have an insurance. I shopped around and Generali had a better price. Also, they were more convenient over other travel protection companies. When I filed a claim online, their customer service responded quickly and I got my claim in a week. I recommend Generali insurance to my relatives.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: July 29, 2018

I chose Generali based on a coworker’s suggestion and it was pretty easy to be able to get to where I needed for a price that I thought was affordable. I just placed the order and I got their confirmation in the email. I have recommended it to other people.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: July 25, 2018

We have peace of mind if we have travel insurance especially when going overseas. We also purchase one to cover medical expenses. When we booked a cruise with MSC Cruises, I asked their representative if they work with somebody. They recommended Generali and so we decided to go with them. It was 50% cheaper than the one that we usually buy in the last six years. We purchased it online and it was easy to open there.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: July 24, 2018

We traveled twice a year and with our age, Generali's price and coverage fit us. It was also easy to buy their travel insurance. I received all my information by email and everything was fine. I'd recommend them to friends but would tell them that depending on where they'd travel, the coverage could be different.

Generali Global Assistance Company Information