4.42/5
Based on 252 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Generali Global Assistance now allows you to Travel Smarter™. As a full-service travel insurance and assistance provider, Generali offers three distinct plans built to serve the diverse needs of today’s traveler. Compare and contrast plan options online on their new website and easily check plan coverages including trip cancellation, baggage loss, medical evacuation and more.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 23, 2018

281 Generali Global Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2018

I’ve traveled a fair bit and I would never travel without a travel insurance. I went on to a number of websites that compared travel insurance companies. I looked at reviews about Generali and they came out well. When I purchased online, the process was straightforward although sometimes, a bit too much information but it was savvy to get the information I wanted off from Generali's website. Generali was easy to set up. However, I did a typo on my email so I didn’t get the paperwork through and I’m waiting and waiting and waiting for it. After about six weeks, I rang Generali's office and said, "Hey, I could use the paperwork." And they were so good. I told me the email address was wrong, gave the right one and they said they'll send the paperwork straight through. Overall, the process was very easy. In fact, I would call Generali again to add a car insurance.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I compared a few other travel insurance companies, found Generali Global Assistance on the internet and it was fairly straightforward. I purchased it but I have never had to use it, so it hasn't been a good nor a bad experience.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I've used Generali Global Assistance before and had no problems with it. I went for a trip and bought their travel insurance, and their rate is about as well as what others have. Their customer service people were courteous and answered my questions too, which is what I look for.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us. We're glad to hear that there were no issues with your trip.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I’ve used Generali a number of years ago. Their online form is very easy to use compared to Travel Guard. It has been good whereas, with Travel Guard, you customize it and spend more time trying to figure out what you want. I’m in my early 60s and the most important thing I was looking for in an insurance is the medical because once you leave the states, most medical policies are not covered. Generali’s policy seems to be pretty good and that was why I got it. And when I go on trips, I never use the insurance policies that are offered by the tour company or the cruise company.

Their website was very easy to use. I call Generali to just purchase the medical coverage and it’s extremely cheap. I can get a $100,000 worth of medical evacuation so it’s $60 a person or less than that. And if people knew how cheap you could get that part of it, they could always buy that part. I’ve had people asked me, “What travel insurance do you use?” And I mention Generali but I just say CSA.

Generali’s customer service has been good. I had a claim in August of last year. I called in and did some of the processes online too. I told them that there was going to be a claim, and then they told me what they needed. They were very busy at the time, especially online. They could have used more people and there were a lot of claims at the time. Whatever information they needed, like the doctor’s reports, the information about the actual cruise about when the departure and when to head back. The process was pretty straightforward. They requested certain information for the claim and then it was paid.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I knew about Generali Global Assistance from somebody else who had used them. Michael, the customer service representative, was knowledgeable in terms of what his company offered. He took the time out to explain their policies. I have a couple of different questions and he was attentive to what I’ve asked and gave me straightforward answers. If I didn’t understand something, he clarified it for me or went over it again. Generali is a company to look into if you're looking for travel insurance. There was customer service and they were pleasant to deal with.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and hope you will consider us again for your next trip!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generali Global Assistance?

Original review: April 9, 2018

Again, at the time I purchased an airline ticket for Spirit Airlines, among other Airlines, Only trouble I found was when Spirit continued to cancel flights I was never told why, even when I asked. I had no idea they were on strike and pilots didn't show up for work. I made a claim to Generali Global Assistance & insurance all denied because of pilots not showing up for work. WHAT? So I had to pay for 4 tickets, and never flew with the airline, and this Insurance that is suppose to protect you DID NOT, because pilots didn't show up for work. WOW MAN this was crazy. I suggest don't buy the policy. Better off spent in Vegas! The answer is the same for all, copy and paste.

Original review: March 29, 2018

My wife and I are old and we have issues so, there's no way I would travel without insurance. I don't take a lot of risks and I insure myself against stuff like travel. I have a good friend who travels a lot and recommended Generali Global Assistance. I talked to them, I wanted everything they offered and I signed up. They were professional and courteous and the experience was very pleasant. I would recommend them.

Original review: March 27, 2018

My claim with Generali Global Assistance has been pending for months. Their reps were friendly but I’m extremely frustrated. The first time I mailed in the claim for this particular loss that I had, I didn’t get a response. It has been a long time because the one time I had used them with CSA before, it was a very quick turnaround. I finally called and Generali didn’t have my application or claim form. It was mailed weeks before and someone lost my claim. It had a return address on it and I didn’t get a return to the post office. I had to send another claim and some information that I had with the original claim I didn’t have copies of.

This whole thing has been held up because I had gone to the doctor. That’s how I ended up having a claim. I didn’t have the forms the second time around. I just had a copy of my doctor’s statement of what was wrong that caused me to cancel the trip. The trip cost me $8000 because of the expenditures that I’ve had for different countries’ requirements of visas and I just made a claim for $7000 because that was the thing that I could easily verify. That’s what the company that handled the trip charged me. I have been going back and forth. This was last October and at this point, I just want to tell Generali to cancel my claim and to send me back my policy payment because they are not going to honor the policy. After months of waiting, I still haven’t gotten the payment from Generali Global Assistance for my loss and I haven’t had an update in about four weeks.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim and for not meeting your expectations. Specific documentation is typically required for the policy to provide coverage for cancellations due to medical reasons. Unfortunately, we have not been able to get what we need from the doctor, which is causing the additional delay. If you have further questions regarding your claim, please reach out to us at (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com

Original review: March 25, 2018

I was going out of the country and I purchased travel insurance from Generali Global Assistance. I looked at another company but Generali was cheaper. Moreover, I requested a change and they were able to change it right away. Their customer service rep was wonderful and knew what she was talking about. I gave Generali to my cousin as well. I would recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us. Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. Thank You!

Original review: March 22, 2018

I used CSA Travel before Generali Global bought them. They seem to be offering the right product. I submitted claims under CSA Travel and they paid off very quickly. I’m going on a cruise, and I have to prepay. I went online to Generali Global and I could evaluate all the options. In order to get medical coverage, I had to also insure the full value of the trip. But they don’t cover all the preexisting conditions, and maybe it was a medical exclusion. There was some aspect of the medical insurance that required me to buy more coverage than I needed. I had the trip already insured for free through my credit card. I was buying double coverage and I didn’t like that. But overall, the experience with Generali Global was fine.

Generali Global Assistance response

We value the feedback from our customers and thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers.

Original review: March 21, 2018

There was an ad about Generali Global Assistance around Travelocity and I looked them up online. It seemed like purchasing their insurance was all easily done on their website and I liked that so I went with them. I also paid for it online, then they sent me what I needed through email and I printed it out. Everything was good.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We appreciate your feedback and the time it took for you to share your experience.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have used Generali Global Assistance in the past and it was on a cruise ship where the policy was all-inclusive. This time, I used them when I went to Paris because I was concerned. If I had any health issues, I wanted be covered by a travel insurance. Their customer service rep was good. She sent me via email some information about another policy which was a little more inclusive. But that was too pricey for 750 and it didn't cover the cost if I didn’t make the airplane, so I said no way.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: March 19, 2018

I've been using Generali Global Assistance for a long time and what I've heard about them has been wonderful. Generali said that we would have insurance in case our luggage got lost, if the plane leaves us or if we have to change the tickets. They'll pay for a hotel too. They also said that when we go to Columbia or Peru and if we have an emergency, we can go to the doctors and they'll reimburse whatever we spend there. My experience with their customer service was wonderful too. They explained to me everything and they sent me the papers at home, on my daughter's email. I have recommended them to my sisters and to my friends. My people from Columbia traveled over here and I made them buy the insurance because if there's any emergency here, the insurance will pay for it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: March 18, 2018

The old man told us about Generali Global Assistance and everything was good. We didn’t have to use it but I would tell a friend that if it's his choice to have it, he should take it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and are glad to hear that there were no issues with your trip.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I always purchase travel insurance anytime that I leave the country. I chose Generali Global Assistance over other travel insurance providers because of their pricing and I have used it one time to cover for our cruise. I would recommend this company.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I put a large amount of money down for a summer rental and I wanted to make sure that I do not lose it if something happened. The other travel insurance provider I checked with was a big bank, the one that always went bankrupt, and it was three times the cost of Generali Global Assistance. Generali’s customer service was very good and the rep was very professional. I would recommend them and I would tell my friends they can use the company and be comfortable.

Original review: March 12, 2018

One of my friends used Generali Global Assistance and he said that they are good. If something happens, they would cover which was my big concern. I had a claim three months back and I emailed customer service. They asked me to provide the documentation and in my email, I completely explained that I have my tickets and everything. Someone emailed me back and in a couple of weeks, they paid. Thankfully, Generali covered it and they covered a couple of hundred dollars. If they hadn't, I would have lost $500. They handled it very fast and they were cheaper.

It was my first experience and hopefully, in the future, it will be the same because there are all those good information, like if you’re getting sick you’ll be covered this much. It's too good to be true and I’ve never heard of Generali so I'm always worried that at the end, it would be like those cheap insurances that eventually won’t cover any of your claims. But overall, they did a great job because I used Condor which is like a German Airline and there was a delay. They lost our connection and they didn’t pay for the claim because they said it was not their problem. They were awful. Reliability is the most important thing in an insurance that you have no idea and Generali was good and reliable.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: March 11, 2018

Nowadays, travel insurance is needed and with seniors, things could come up. One of my girl friends used Generali before and she was very satisfied with them. She introduced me and another couple to Generali Global Assistance and we all used them for our trip. Eventually, through no fault of the cruise line, we all needed to have the travel insurance because all of us got sick. One of my girl friends landed in a hospital in Germany, I had a severe bloody nose on the cruise which required doctor’s care, and my other girl friend's husband came down with some kind of bronchial infection or cold.

We did the claim and Generali's customer service reps were very polite and helpful. They’re a very good and fair company. Also, we initially shopped for the best price but also looked at what the insurance policies were covering, and Generali was the best one. I was totally satisfied with Generali and I would use them again.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Generali Global Assistance was suggested to me by the tour organization that I travel with. Everything worked great. The rates were fair and reasonable. The website was easy to use and didn’t require a lot of work or attention. We have recommended Generali to other people as well that have taken trips with the same travel organization. I’m glad that I haven’t had to use it. Insurance is always that way. It’s a protection plan so the minute you don’t buy it is when you need it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us. We're glad to hear that there have been no issues with your trips.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I was meeting up with my sister who was coming from across the country and I looked online for travel insurance that I wanted to purchase for myself because we had booked so far in advance and I was making sure that I was covered for the trip. In the last four years that we've purchased insurance, it was for our cruises. I liked the price of Generali Global Assistance. The customer service reps that I talked to initially and a couple of times later on when I was trying to get an update were great and they were always very nice and professional. The people that I first spoke with were wonderful and they were very nice and helpful. My only bad experience with Generali was that the claim process took a long time and I was having to call for updates after two and a half months.

I submitted a claim with Generali when my elderly father fell and broke his hip. I had to fly to Washington to help out and I had to move him into assisted living. This happened three weeks before our cruise. I got the paperwork right away when I contacted Generali. They emailed me everything and I filled it out, and I sent it off on the 1st of November when I got back from Washington.

I didn't hear anything from them after the first of the year and I called back, but they didn't have an update. Then I got an email saying that the information was submitted but they needed more information. I also got another email saying that they couldn't get some of the information from the cruise line and that I needed to contact the cruise line. But that was basic information, like what my charge was and the date that I canceled the cruise, so I don't know why that was such a hold-off. Also, they already had my reservation number and all the cruise information that I gave them. I had to contact the cruise company and they forwarded the information. So, basically, the claim process took four months. On the other hand, my sister got the cruise insurance directly through the cruise line and she was reimbursed in six weeks, so there was a big difference.

Original review: March 5, 2018

The person that we worked with to book our trip to Peru suggested Generali. It was a big trip out of the country and we wanted the assurance that everything was going to be okay if anything happened. There were different programs and plans that we could select and Generali's customer service was very helpful with those.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us. Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers.

Original review: March 2, 2018

My wife was pregnant, so I wanted to make sure we could cancel our trip if we needed to in case she went into labor. I bought a travel insurance from Generali. It was the first option I looked at and I felt like it was priced fairly. I talked to their customer service team just to get clarification on what was covered and what wasn't as far as the trip cancelation. It was a quick phone call and everything was good. I'd tell my friends to get a quote from Generali if they're going on a trip.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: March 1, 2018

My wife got sick before our trip and we weren't sure we were going to be able to go. We were flying first class and we already had booked our hotels. So, we had a lot of money on the line. I bought our travel insurance from Generali Global. But then, she went to the doctor and got well enough to where we could make the trip. We went to Barcelona, Spain for two weeks. We made the trip fine and came back fine. Generali Global is good. I'd use them again on a big trip like the one we just had.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us. We're glad to hear that your wife is feeling better and that there were no issues with your trip.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I wanted to protect my money in case I had any problems. I purchased a travel insurance online from Generali Global Assistance and there was no problem navigating their site. I also liked their price. I was very satisfied with my experience and I would recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Generali Global has good price and coverage, and I read good reviews on it online. I've been using them when I go on vacation out of the country. I would never know what could happen when I'm overseas. My health insurance won't work, so I don't want to be stuck somewhere, in an emergency, with nothing covered. And fortunately, I've never had to use my travel insurance but I'd definitely recommend it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and are glad to hear that there have been no issues with your trips.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

If we’re going somewhere I normally buy travel insurance. I went to Disney World and a beach vacation, and there's an insurance section on each of the travel packages. I checked the box to use the insurance. At Disney World, a couple of years ago when Hurricane Matthew came to Florida, we were trying to get out of the state before the hurricane hit. Talking to the Generali customer service reps was fairly easy. They told me how to submit the claim and they would review it. If they deemed that the park was closed they said they would pay the hotel room no matter what. The park was indeed closed, and they paid us back for two days of park closure, then we got two nights of hotel stay refunded back because we had the insurance.

It was a pretty simple request and it was easy to go through. I did it online. I showed the dates of purchase and verification things, and that's about it. Within a month from the time I submitted the claim, everything was reimbursed. It was two to three weeks of turnaround. I would recommend Generali. You can’t control all the situations. The cost of the trip made me purchase insurance, and on a $10,000 trip, paying an extra $200 is well worth it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

When I booked my flight, there was an insurance component to it from Generali Global Assistance. I also tell my friends about Generali and I advise them that when they travel, especially overseas, they should buy insurance for themselves.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I’ve traveled the world and used many different travel insurance policies. One in particular, I had to file a claim and for the first couple of weeks they were a pain. Getting travel insurance from Generali was quite easy. Once, I didn’t have enough time and was in a hurry to book a flight, then at the bottom of the booking site was, “Would you like insurance?” I just clicked yes, and it was a no-hassle situation. Generali was right there and it was convenient.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

My father's getting older and we were worried that he was going to pass away so we wanted to get something just in case. He had several choices in terms of policy and he chose the best fit for us. We stayed with the coverage then we updated it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

If I lost all my clothes, I’d be screwed and since my son has had a great experience in traveling, I went with whatever he said. He sent me a link and I purchased the Generali policy online. It was super easy and I would suggest Generali to a friend too.

Generali Global Assistance Company Information