Call toll free
4.55/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Generali Global Assistance now allows you to Travel Smarter™. As a full-service travel insurance and assistance provider, Generali offers three distinct plans built to serve the diverse needs of today’s traveler. Compare and contrast plan options online on their new website and easily check plan coverages including trip cancellation, baggage loss, medical evacuation and more.

345 Generali Global Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Generali came up when I booked my flight to Expedia and I bought travel insurance from them just to be on the safe side. I've had it before so, I decided to stay with them. I feel better and safer knowing that I'm covered with the insurance.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We’ve been on many, many cruises. When we first started cruising, my husband’s dad died. We didn’t have insurance then and it was quite expensive to get back. So, we decided to take out a travel insurance when we go. We’ve been taking it out through CSA Travel and we’ve been doing it for years. Generali Global Assistance is the carrier that CSA Travel uses. Their rates seem reasonable for the coverage that we want. So far, we’re just hanging out hoping that if we ever have to use them, they would come through for us. I would recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Do NOT purchase the travel protection insurance from this company. We contacted the company to tell them we would need a refund for the condo we rented due to a tragic death in our family. Our son’s girlfriend (who was going to travel with us) died. The people I spoke with were the most unsympathetic and uncaring people I’ve ever encountered. They insisted on a death certificate. I explained that it would be extremely inappropriate and unacceptable to ask her family during their time of grieving for a death certificate. The company made certain to tell me that even if a death certificate was provided the policy does not cover a death due to a pre existing condition or death by suicide. The company didn’t care that we needed to plan and host a memorial service. If you cannot cancel a vacation due to a death what can you cancel for? Stay away from CSA Travel Protection. You will be wasting your money, time, and energy.

Generali Global Assistance response

We’re very sorry for your loss. We do take our customer service very seriously and we invite you to contact us privately to discuss the details of your coverage. Given the sensitivity of the circumstances, we do not believe that it is appropriate to provide any additional detail in this forum.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We used Generali Global for travel insurance when we were going on a very long trip with children and wanted to make sure we were taken care of. I emailed them to submit a claim and it was easy. If someone needed insurance, I would tell them to go for Generali Global and use it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and hope you will consider us again for your next trip!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

The San Francisco Bay Area was blanketed in smoke from the Paradise City, California fire this past Thanksgiving holiday. I was due to fly out to visit my son. My son requested that I cancel my trip as he said the smoke was so bad that they could not see the sky. I am a 73 year old traveler that has survived double pneumonia and sepsis. Taking a trip to an area that was nationally designated as very hazardous to health is a valid reason for canceling my flight. This company has just informed me that it is not going to honor my claim. I had no way of knowing when the air would be safe to breathe.

Generali Global Assistance response

We apologize for your issue and not meeting your expectation. Unfortunately the JustFly policy you purchased doesn't include cancel for any reason coverage. Your fear of exacerbating a chronic condition isn't considered cancelling due to sickness or another covered event.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generali Global Assistance?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

It's always good and invaluable to have insurance when travelling. My friend who is a travel consultant told me she had used Generali previously, so I also went with them. When we were scheduled on our last cruise, we were going to San Juan but because of the storm that hit there, the boat wasn't going there so we cancelled our cruise. I then called Generali and they took all the information. It went very well, and I still have credits with Royal Caribbean.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

My experience with Generali Global Assistance was absolutely horrible. I've used them for years and I will never, ever, ever use them again. I had a really bad allergic reaction when I was traveling in Norway. I had to go by ambulance and then, I ended up in the hospital. I called them from emergency and they said there's nothing they could do because I didn't get a pre-approval. I was in the hospital for hours waiting for Generali to try to put things together, but they didn't really know what to do with me because most people that have insurance have a certificate and I didn't have one. They basically left the people in Norway and the doctors and nurses were flabbergasted. They couldn’t even believe how I can have insurance and be treated that way because I was calling to get a certificate not understanding.

By the time I got back home from traveling and by the time that I received a bill from Norway for the hospital, it was out of the 90 day period so I didn't even bother trying to file a claim although it is legitimate. Furthermore, they said that I had to file a claim with my primary insurance. I have a covered California plan in California and I know it doesn't cover me in Europe. In Norway, if you have a life insurance policy, you're covered if you're abroad. Whereas in United States, insurance is a joke and traveler's insurance on top of it. So, if I'm having an allergic reaction, it's impossible to get out of that situation approved.

It's a full scam because if you have legitimate claim, there shouldn't be a time period. There's no way I could've gotten the bill sooner. And everything I got was all in Norwegian. I got the bill due from Norway and I paid it, but I had to borrow money from my bank. And then, I got another bill from a collection agency saying that I owed them when I know I paid them. So, I'm still trying to see if I get another one from them because I don't know who to call because they may not be able to speak English. It's really a nightmare to be dealing with this. Thank God that the medical in most other countries is fair and reasonable. But I'm never, ever, ever going to recommend Generali.

Generali Global Assistance response
We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your experience, and for not meeting your expectations. We want our customers to choose the correct policy to fit their needs and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com with additional questions.

While we ask that claims be submitted within 90 days, you have a year to do so as outlined in your plan. You may call the number above for further clarification and to have the claim forms resent to you. You can also visit csaclaims.com for an online claim form.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

My travel agent recommended Generali as they would be more reliable than others if something happens. I felt that she had been out here for a while doing her job so I went by her recommendations. Also, I chose them based on their coverage and what they cover. I had a great experience with Generali. I would definitely recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I had used Generali Global Assistance on a trip several years ago and I had a bit of a claim and they paid it. I went with Generali the second time when I got on a Road Scholar trip. Their trip insurance was cheaper than Road Scholar's. I've referred Generali to other people, and I told them it is a good place to go if they needed a travel insurance.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

My wife and I are at our early 70's, and we’re concerned that if something happens to us on a trip, we’ll make sure that we’re covered well with insurance. We looked at the options that were offered by each of the insurance companies, and then compared it to the premiums, and Generali came up on top. Then we had to file a claim where we had a bruised area, sprained ankle, and the doctor took an X-ray, which entailed a large charge, which will be covered. We submitted all the paperwork that they asked for and we have acknowledgement that they have accepted the claim. What little experience I’ve had with them, they’ve stood behind the policy and only for a few hundred dollars. I’m very pleased with them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and are glad to hear that, although you had some medical issues during your trip, we were able to help.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Getting a travel insurance was a safe venture for reassurance just in case something happens. If you don’t get it, you regret not having it. I searched on the internet and because of the reviews, I signed up with Generali. I filed a claim for a trip cancellation when my wife, who was not traveling with me, required an urgent operation. They decided that it was a preexisting condition based on a very generalized vague and non-specific symptom that appeared months before the trip was even planned. They related it to her having cancer and denied the claim. It took a lot of measures and appeals but they just refused. Every business is in the business of making money. So, to that end, they were protecting their interests but they could have been understanding of the situation. I would advise friends not to work with Generali.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim and apologize for not meeting your expectations. We want our customers to choose the correct policy to fit their needs and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com with additional questions. The plan you purchased includes a variety of covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to cancel your trip. The plan is unfortunately unable to provide coverage due to medical treatment that was sought prior to coverage being in effect.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

We travel quite a bit and when we’re out of the country, we’re worried about medical expenses. I did a comparison with another company that I used years ago and I noticed that Generali's rate was lower and it looked like all the features were the same. I also checked their ratings and saw that it was highly rated. We purchased our travel insurance through their website, which is very user-friendly.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Generali's price was cheaper and I bought the insurance for just in case when I went on a trip to Panama. I did everything online and it was easy to choose the coverage that I wanted and the price that I could afford and to just do it. I got really prompt emails and then all the information I needed was really quick. I like that because I don't like to worry about it too much. I like to buy it and forget about it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We appreciate your feedback and the time it took for you to share your experience.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I travel everywhere and I would like to be insured and protected. We went on a trip to India and I wanted to be sure there was not gonna be surprises. Generali had a couple of options and I read them and then choose what I thought was gonna fit for us. So far, I have been on a few trips. The one to India was a major trip and it was expensive. But, the insurance for my smaller trips has been reasonable. It's good when Generali shows everything that they protect. But it will be better to have some more explanations on some things just to be sure that people understand what they cover and what they don't. There are things that are not sufficient and for some people, it could be confusing.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I bought a company insurance policy in May. I found Generali Global Assistance on the internet, and I googled the reviews to see if there was any negative feedback. I rely heavily on that type of research and it appeared that they’d been in business for a while. I understood what the policy covers and not cover pre-existing conditions. It seemed like if I had a claim, they would pay out. I purchased it online and they sent me all the materials.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and are glad to hear that there were no issues with your trip.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I went to AAA for travel insurance and they were a bit expensive, so I decided to go with Generali instead since I saw some decent reviews about them. They're a good company to consider if it's a good value for money. Their buying process was very easy too.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us. Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I always get a travel insurance and I was looking at different options and with Generali, I could buy the insurance right before I left instead of buying it when I bought my plane ticket. Most of it was online and then, I talked to their rep on the phone before I was done. It was a good experience with their rep. The cost might have been a hair higher than other places but not much. I would tell people about Generali if they asked. I had no bad experiences at all.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

We had previously used CSA and they were purchased by Generali. The price was similar and I've had good experiences in the past, though it seemed like their pricing appeared to be a little bit higher than what I'm used to. Nevertheless, their customer service was excellent.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I am so thankful I purchased the CSA travel protection insurance when I booked our family vacation. My son was in a terrible automobile accident 3 days prior to us leaving for our trip and I had to submit a claim to recover our cost. The process is like any other claim if you have never submitted one, you need to have a copy of the doctor reports etc. I was contacted by phone for initially and then continued corresponded through email. It took about 2 months to process but we received a full refund. It was well worth the small price to pay when you are already spending thousands on a trip. Plan the trip and buy the insurance!

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We're so sorry to hear about your son's accident and hope he is doing well. We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

When we go on trips, I buy travel insurance and I used to buy it from American Express for many years but they stopped selling it. I researched online and saw Generali Global. I had a great experience with their customer service. My criteria were the cost of the policy and they took the time to explain how the policy worked. The claims process took around a month and we had to submit certain paperwork, expenses and other information. That was my first time where we actually had to file a claim. Everything was explained and they had very clear terms. I would highly recommend this insurance.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I looked for travel insurance on my first trip right out of college. I was tight on money, so I wanted to make sure that if something happened I would not go down the drain. There was a comparison of the policies online and so I used that and got Generali. I bought it for the past two trips and have not needed it, and it gave me peace of mind. My husband and I traveled about twice a year and before our second trip, my husband broke his clavicle so we were not able to travel. We provided receipts and a doctor’s note to Generali then we got our money back for everything. And so with the ease of that, we continued to use them. They've been nothing but good for me. People should take a look at what they need in a trip insurance, go to the comparison site I saw, and then if they come to the same conclusion as I did, then I would tell them to go for it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I always get Generali because they are the old CSA Travel and we were very happy with CSA Travel. And I like Generali because it provides rental car insurance and I usually rent a car, and I use that for coverage.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Signing up with Generali had to be easier or I could not have done it. Overall, I was satisfied with them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

A long time ago, I scheduled a trip to Turkey and the agent encouraged me to get a travel insurance. Right before I was scheduled to go on the trip, my sister passed away, so I made use of my travel insurance. I've always kept that in my mind because I would not have been able to get my trip refunded at that late time. This time, I bought a travel insurance from Generali Global Assistance just to be safe. There's a website that gives the quotes of different travel insurance companies. You state what you would be spending on your trip and they would give you the different rates. That's how I narrowed my search for a travel insurance company down and chose Generali. I did everything online and purchasing the insurance was an easy process.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I purchased travel insurance through CSA for an upcoming trip to Yosemite National Park, and unfortunately we had to cancel because of the wildfires. In my claim form, I noted that all major roads and entrances for our destination were closed due to the fires and there were mandatory evacuations issued for parts of the national park we were set to visit. Our trip was scheduled for Aug. 3-8, when major roads & park entrances were still closed due to wildfires, and I canceled on July 31.

The coverage in my insurance explicitly covered the following events (which they copied into my claim denial email): "8. A mandatory evacuation (or public official evacuation advisement in geographic areas where no mandatory evacuation orders are issued by government authorities) at your destination due to adverse weather or natural disasters. We will only pay benefits for losses occurring within 30 calendar days after the evacuation order is issued. In order to cancel your Trip, you must have 4 days or 50% of your total Trip length or less remaining at the time the mandatory evacuation ends."

AND "16. The interruption of road service for 24 hours or more due to adverse weather or natural disaster so as to prohibit you from reaching your destination. We will only pay benefits for losses occurring within 15 calendar days following the event which causes the interruption of road service." However, my claim was denied when they said the trip was not canceled due to a "covered event." Even though said covered events both occurred and were both part of the reason I canceled my trip. Essentially, they admitted I had ample reason to cancel my trip under the policy I paid for (by laying out my EXACT reasons for canceling in the list of covered events in my claim denial email) but they wanted to deny my claim nonetheless.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I was going on an extended overseas trip and I wanted to be reassured for it. I looked at several policies on the internet and Generali came up tops and I got them because they were cheaper. Luckily, I didn't need the insurance but it would have been the crunch point whether they performed or not if I needed them. But if someone asked, I'd tell them to go ahead and check Generali.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

My trip had a lot of upfront expenses. I paid $6,000 for a private tour and it was non-refundable, so I thought I better have insurance. Normally, I don’t bother if it’s an inexpensive trip or the airfare or the hotels could be canceled, but I had more at risk on this one. I looked online and searched for the terms of different travel insurance, and Generali had the most medical benefits, which was what I valued the most. Once I decided, it took me just a few minutes to get signed up and the procedure was fine. I did it on the web and I had to put in my name as well as how much coverage I wanted.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

We’ve used Generali several times. It's very easy to buy and set up the policy. I like that they have life and dismemberment insurance and they have the most for what you pay. I called one time because I wanted to know how they worked, and their reps were very friendly. I’m happy with Generali and I've referred a friend who just got back from Vietnam to them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

We were traveling outside the country with my elderly mother and I wanted to make sure that we were covered in case we needed a travel insurance for anything, so I got one. Then, we were going to Colorado and we were staying in a lodge. They recommended Generali as our travel insurance. We said okay and we booked through them. We were able to use that travel insurance when my husband got altitude sickness while in Colorado. We had to have a doctor come to the lodge we were staying at. While he told us upfront that it would not be covered, it was our best alternative rather than driving an hour and a half to an emergency room and spending the night there. In the end, I still applied for the claim and it was paid. I like Generali very much.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I had to postpone my trip because I was sick for a couple of weeks. I submitted a claim with Generali and the process was quick and easy. They said since it was just a short time, they would just move it up a couple of weeks for me. I’m very satisfied with them.

Generali Global Assistance Company Information