Call toll free
4.43/5
Based on 241 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Generali Global Assistance now allows you to Travel Smarter™. As a full-service travel insurance and assistance provider, Generali offers three distinct plans built to serve the diverse needs of today’s traveler. Compare and contrast plan options online on their new website and easily check plan coverages including trip cancellation, baggage loss, medical evacuation and more.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

301 Generali Global Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 17, 2018

I was gonna be taking a trip to Florida for 10 days and the airline that I was gonna book with does not offer any refunds in the event of a reschedule. They don't give you a refund, but they will book it later. But if we were ill or something like that, then that wouldn't do us any good. I looked up Generali online and I liked what I read and it seemed to be aboveboard. I also compared their price with another company and they had the best price overall. Also the reps were professional and they knew what they were talking about. And that was the main thing. There wasn’t no hemming and hawing, and beating around the bush. Their customer service is excellent. I would definitely use them again if the occasion arose. They do what they say they will and once they quote you a price, that's pretty much it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 13, 2018

When you reach a certain age, you realize that it’s important to have insurance when you travel. It's very important and I decided to get it from Generali Global Assistance. I could pay their rates and get the same amount of things from them as the things that the other companies were giving. I also found them to be less expensive and they seem to have to decent rating. I bought the insurance online and my interactions with their staff was very nice. My next trip is not 'til mid August and I purchased from Generali for the second time for that. I haven't filed a claim with them but I hope that if I do, they'd be a good company to work with. I also know someone that used them and they paid them immediately. All in all, I am perfectly satisfied with Generali and I would use them on any trip I‘d take in the future. I'd recommend them to others as well.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 6, 2018

This company not only ignores claims, but is in the business of denying claims. They are there to collect a premium, but not cover claims that arise. We bought their policy in February when we arranged our trip to the Big Island. One of our family members has a serious heart condition and thus we found peace of mind purchasing this insurance to cover anything medical that may arise. What a mistake! The Big Island has had problems with the violent volcano eruption and air quality since the first of May. Who would have known about this in February???

Due to this health condition, the doctor advised not to travel to this island with the toxic air quality as it would only be a threat to an already serious condition. The claim was submitted three weeks ago. An email was received one week ago listing a name of the representative handling the claim, but no contact information for this person. I called a general number and requested contact information and after three phone calls (messages left), I was able to get him on the phone through another representative. I was quickly told my claim would not be covered. They had no interest to see documentation from the doctor. By the way, pre-existing conditions were not excluded with this policy. This is a scam and I would NEVER recommend to anyone!

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim and apologize for not meeting your expectations. The plan you purchased includes a variety of covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to cancel your trip. However, most travel insurance plans, regardless of insurance provider, only offer benefits for events that actually have occurred, not events that might occur. We urge our customers to review the coverage details listed in the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com with any questions.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 30, 2018

The insurance claim denial was based on the following statement: "The information provided indicates your trip was interrupted due to your nontraveling family being DISCHARGED from the hospital. As there was no worsening of the condition while your coverage was in effect and the death occurred after the coverage had ended, no benefits are payable for your claim." My claim was based on my nontraveling family member being ADMITTED to the hospital during the policy period not DISCHARGED.

After numerous phone calls and forms were unsuccessful to persuade the insurance agent assigned to my claim, I requested assistance from The California Department of Insurance who requested the underwriter re-evaluate my claim. I was reimbursed by CSA Travel Protection. Small Claims Court has the authority to make a binding decision; The California Department of Insurance can only attempt to mediate the claim. I have written this review to provide information about my experience with CSA Travel Insurance to be helpful for others.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim and for not meeting your expectations. We are pleased to advise your claim has been resolved. You should be receiving an email from a dedicated team member. If you have any further questions, please contact (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I purchase a travel insurance every time I travel. I’ve been on trips where I’ve seen people taken off ships and hoping they have insurance to pay for the exorbitant cost. I called my travel agent, Vacations To Go, and I ask them who I should use, and they gave me Generali's number. Purchasing over the phone was very easy and I told the guy what I was looking for. He told me what the insurance covered and the price, of which I said fine. Then, he tried to email me, but, for some reason, I couldn’t pull up the email so he sent me the policy by mail. I gotta call them again on my next trip. I’d recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generali Global Assistance?

Original review: June 10, 2018

We’d be going through the Baltics and we decided to purchase a travel insurance policy because events can come up in our life and we’ve paid a lot of money for the vacation. We heard about Generali Global Assistance from a friend. Getting the policy with Generali Global Assistance was very fast. We were able to compare products and pick the right policy for our budget. We called the customer service reps once and they were very helpful. I would tell my friends that we’re pleased so far and they should look at Generali.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and hope you will consider us again for your next trip!

Original review: June 9, 2018

Experience tells us that we should get travel protection for all our trips. In 2004, back when Generali Global Assistance was still CSA Travel Protection, my wife had an accident on a trip and they covered us. We were in Victoria then and we submitted two claims, and it was just a matter of making a call to them. The travel people made a lot of the arrangements for us and they made sure that we were taken care of. My wife needed to have an extended seat on the plane and they arranged for that. It was a very good experience because they took care of almost everything once we called in. Since then, we've been using them and every time we took a trip, we've always had an insurance with them. The customer service has been absolutely excellent and I’d recommend them to many other people. We have a trip coming up in the next few months and we've already put in an insurance with them.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 8, 2018

I’m going on a trip to Japan so I was looking around at travel providers and Generali seemed to be the more recommended one. Their website was okay. There were some stuff that were not very straightforward. Like if there’s a typhoon and the flight gets canceled, does it cover things like that? There are so many possibilities and I wanted to know how many of them are actually covered, but I struggled with understanding exactly what coverage I was gonna get.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about your negative experience and apologize for not meeting your expectations. We want our customers to choose the correct policy to fit their needs and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com if you have additional questions. We value your feedback and hope you will consider us again for your next trip.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I was going out of the country and for health reasons, I decided I’d better have travel insurance. I got Generali Global Assistance as my insurance on my last trip and I purchased it on the internet. I bought it for myself and it was right.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value your feedback and hope you will consider us again for your next trip!

Original review: June 4, 2018

So far, my experience with Generali Global Assistance hasn't been bad. The price of their travel insurance is decent and comparable to that of other companies. But before travelers go to a certain area, Generali could provide them through email with the phone numbers and the addresses of hospitals and doctors in the area because when an emergency comes, they wouldn’t have the time to look for this information.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Original review: June 2, 2018

When I was searching on the internet and comparing the prices, Generali Global Assistance offered the best prices. My claim was handled very quickly and I was very satisfied with them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We appreciate your feedback and the time it took for you to share your experience.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Generali Global Assistance has the same protection with the other three travel insurance providers that I checked before calling them, but their price was very good. The amount that I needed to pay was better than the other ones. I called them two or three times and they helped me. They called me back right away and they were friendly. Overall, everything was good.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: May 31, 2018

We travel a lot so we get travel insurance often and I’ve used Generali Global Assistance and Travel Guard before. I chose Generali this time and their website works very well. Sometimes if I go with a group, their insurance can be less expensive than buying it straight from a travel insurance agent or company. And sometimes it’s more, so it depends on what the group offers. We generally get travel insurance depending upon how much of a cost or the refundability issue.

In our current circumstance, my wife’s mother is in a rehab facility right now and her health can go up and down any time. Also, my wife and I are both in our 70s so we also could have something happen. Generali's services are fine and we know what kind of coverage we want. And so, as long as it’s the middle of the road, we don’t need high-end stuff and we don’t need the cheapest either, so it worked out fine. All in all, my experience with acquiring the insurance was very good, didn’t have any issues and easy to do.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: May 30, 2018

I was with CSA for many years. I had a claim once and it was worth a couple of $100. I had all receipts and doctors notes which I had to mail to them, then they paid my claim very quickly. I would recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: May 27, 2018

I always purchase insurance when traveling and Generali Global Assistance was very nice to help me. The insurance was automatically added by my cruise company. When I realized that it wasn’t the same amount or package that I wanted, I called them and they changed it for me and just charged me the difference. There were also a couple errors thereafter so I called back a couple times and got those worked out as well. Overall, Generali is a good service.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us. Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Generali Global Assistance was reviewed in the Thomas Travel magazine that I was reading. I’ve looked at a couple of other providers that I’ve used in the past and Generali got a really good review, so I decided to give them a try. I bought the policy from them and did it all online. We’re gonna travel in July, but hopefully, we won’t need it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: May 25, 2018

I went on the internet and searched several different companies, and Generali had some of the better deals. I’m almost 70 years old and in good health, but you never know. My wife and I are both about the same age. So, just in case something happens, I wanted to have that insurance. I did everything online and it was very simple. I just recommended them to a friend of mine who just left for Israel today. It is good to have it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: May 24, 2018

Our company has always used Generali Global Assistance and everything was done online. I decided to purchase travel insurance because you just never know.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: May 23, 2018

I’ve traveled a fair bit and I would never travel without a travel insurance. I went on to a number of websites that compared travel insurance companies. I looked at reviews about Generali and they came out well. When I purchased online, the process was straightforward although sometimes, a bit too much information but it was savvy to get the information I wanted off from Generali's website. Generali was easy to set up. However, I did a typo on my email so I didn’t get the paperwork through and I’m waiting and waiting and waiting for it. After about six weeks, I rang Generali's office and said, "Hey, I could use the paperwork." And they were so good. I told me the email address was wrong, gave the right one and they said they'll send the paperwork straight through. Overall, the process was very easy. In fact, I would call Generali again to add a car insurance.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: May 22, 2018

My parents, who told me about Generali, were out of town and they ended up needing it. And so, because I was traveling out of the country, I bought one. I did not have a problem with the website and the customer service reps were helpful. I had a good experience with Generali and I’m glad they have it available.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 21, 2018

I was referred to Generali Global Assistance from someone else who typically buys the insurance through them. I purchased it online and it was easy to see their different plans. I was reading a lot of different feedbacks, so, at some point, I didn’t feel like it was worth purchasing and I wasn’t sure that they would cover me in a lot of the situations where I needed coverage but I still went for it. I was pregnant and I wanted to make sure I did everything I could in case of an emergency. But when I called to ask questions, the customer service reps were not helpful at all. I was just trying to see if I would have been covered since I was making an appropriate purchase. They were not knowledgeable and they just told me to file a claim and wait to see what happened.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about your negative experience and apologize for not meeting your expectations. We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us. Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 20, 2018

I compared a few other travel insurance companies, found Generali Global Assistance on the internet and it was fairly straightforward. I purchased it but I have never had to use it, so it hasn't been a good nor a bad experience.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I've used Generali Global Assistance before and had no problems with it. I went for a trip and bought their travel insurance, and their rate is about as well as what others have. Their customer service people were courteous and answered my questions too, which is what I look for.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us. We're glad to hear that there were no issues with your trip.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I’ve used Generali a number of years ago. Their online form is very easy to use compared to Travel Guard. It has been good whereas, with Travel Guard, you customize it and spend more time trying to figure out what you want. I’m in my early 60s and the most important thing I was looking for in an insurance is the medical because once you leave the states, most medical policies are not covered. Generali’s policy seems to be pretty good and that was why I got it. And when I go on trips, I never use the insurance policies that are offered by the tour company or the cruise company.

Their website was very easy to use. I call Generali to just purchase the medical coverage and it’s extremely cheap. I can get a $100,000 worth of medical evacuation so it’s $60 a person or less than that. And if people knew how cheap you could get that part of it, they could always buy that part. I’ve had people asked me, “What travel insurance do you use?” And I mention Generali but I just say CSA.

Generali’s customer service has been good. I had a claim in August of last year. I called in and did some of the processes online too. I told them that there was going to be a claim, and then they told me what they needed. They were very busy at the time, especially online. They could have used more people and there were a lot of claims at the time. Whatever information they needed, like the doctor’s reports, the information about the actual cruise about when the departure and when to head back. The process was pretty straightforward. They requested certain information for the claim and then it was paid.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: April 26, 2018

I knew about Generali Global Assistance from somebody else who had used them. Michael, the customer service representative, was knowledgeable in terms of what his company offered. He took the time out to explain their policies. I have a couple of different questions and he was attentive to what I’ve asked and gave me straightforward answers. If I didn’t understand something, he clarified it for me or went over it again. Generali is a company to look into if you're looking for travel insurance. There was customer service and they were pleasant to deal with.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: April 9, 2018

Again, at the time I purchased an airline ticket for Spirit Airlines, among other Airlines, Only trouble I found was when Spirit continued to cancel flights I was never told why, even when I asked. I had no idea they were on strike and pilots didn't show up for work. I made a claim to Generali Global Assistance & insurance all denied because of pilots not showing up for work. WHAT? So I had to pay for 4 tickets, and never flew with the airline, and this Insurance that is suppose to protect you DID NOT, because pilots didn't show up for work. WOW MAN this was crazy. I suggest don't buy the policy. Better off spent in Vegas! The answer is the same for all, copy and paste.

Original review: March 29, 2018

My wife and I are old and we have issues so, there's no way I would travel without insurance. I don't take a lot of risks and I insure myself against stuff like travel. I have a good friend who travels a lot and recommended Generali Global Assistance. I talked to them, I wanted everything they offered and I signed up. They were professional and courteous and the experience was very pleasant. I would recommend them.

Original review: March 27, 2018

My claim with Generali Global Assistance has been pending for months. Their reps were friendly but I’m extremely frustrated. The first time I mailed in the claim for this particular loss that I had, I didn’t get a response. It has been a long time because the one time I had used them with CSA before, it was a very quick turnaround. I finally called and Generali didn’t have my application or claim form. It was mailed weeks before and someone lost my claim. It had a return address on it and I didn’t get a return to the post office. I had to send another claim and some information that I had with the original claim I didn’t have copies of.

This whole thing has been held up because I had gone to the doctor. That’s how I ended up having a claim. I didn’t have the forms the second time around. I just had a copy of my doctor’s statement of what was wrong that caused me to cancel the trip. The trip cost me $8000 because of the expenditures that I’ve had for different countries’ requirements of visas and I just made a claim for $7000 because that was the thing that I could easily verify. That’s what the company that handled the trip charged me. I have been going back and forth. This was last October and at this point, I just want to tell Generali to cancel my claim and to send me back my policy payment because they are not going to honor the policy. After months of waiting, I still haven’t gotten the payment from Generali Global Assistance for my loss and I haven’t had an update in about four weeks.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim and for not meeting your expectations. Specific documentation is typically required for the policy to provide coverage for cancellations due to medical reasons. Unfortunately, we have not been able to get what we need from the doctor, which is causing the additional delay. If you have further questions regarding your claim, please reach out to us at (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com

Original review: March 25, 2018

I was going out of the country and I purchased travel insurance from Generali Global Assistance. I looked at another company but Generali was cheaper. Moreover, I requested a change and they were able to change it right away. Their customer service rep was wonderful and knew what she was talking about. I gave Generali to my cousin as well. I would recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us. Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. Thank You!

Original review: March 22, 2018

I used CSA Travel before Generali Global bought them. They seem to be offering the right product. I submitted claims under CSA Travel and they paid off very quickly. I’m going on a cruise, and I have to prepay. I went online to Generali Global and I could evaluate all the options. In order to get medical coverage, I had to also insure the full value of the trip. But they don’t cover all the preexisting conditions, and maybe it was a medical exclusion. There was some aspect of the medical insurance that required me to buy more coverage than I needed. I had the trip already insured for free through my credit card. I was buying double coverage and I didn’t like that. But overall, the experience with Generali Global was fine.

Generali Global Assistance response

We value the feedback from our customers and thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers.

Generali Global Assistance Company Information