3.9/5 (77 ratings)

About Generali Global Assistance

Generali Global Assistance is a full-service travel insurance service provider that offers three distinct plans built to serve diverse needs. You can compare and contrast plan options and check out various coverages like trip cancellation, baggage loss, medical evacuation and more on the company’s website.

Pros

• Wide variety of services
  • Operates in 25+ countries
  • Offers Iris Identity Protection app

Cons

• Services can be expensive
  • Some services redundant/unnecessary

Bottom Line

Generali offers comprehensive coverage options for travel insurance, identity protection, cyber security, home care and more. It’s available in more than 25 countries, but its services can be expensive for some.

Top Generali Global Assistance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generali Global Assistance?

Verified

Very easy to apply online. It was a very straightforward process and they help explained all lines of the application. They are very highly rated by many more people than the rest...

Verified

Easy to work with and answered all my questions. I’ve never bought this much insurance before so the jury is still out. The size of the trip is unusual to us. We are hoping to giv...

What is Generali Global Assistance?

Generali Global Assistance is a travel insurance provider that offers a variety of care options and travel-related aid. Its overseas travel, online security and eldercare services include:

• Travel insurance: Protects against lost luggage, cancellation and medical emergency costs.
  • Vacation rental insurance: Provides comprehensive coverage for vacation rental properties.
  • Identity and cyber protection: Wards off online identity theft attempts.
  • Beneficiary companion: Provides care after the passing of a loved one.
  • Travel assistance: Helps with overseas language interpretation, medical assistance and more.
  • Travel risk management: Provides businesses with international travel assistance and risk mitigation.
  • ScamAssist: Helps prevent credit card fraud by rating the scam likelihood of virtual messages.
  • Home care: Partners policyholders with dedicated care advisors to help take care of loved ones at home.

How does Generali Global Assistance work?

Generali Global Assistance has a multinational presence, and its services are available in more than 25 countries.You can sign up for the Generali service of your choice by calling the company. After you speak with a representative to customize a protection plan to your needs, Generali offers the option to add on extra services.

Generali travel insurance costs

Generali doesn’t list prices on its website, but the cost of its travel insurance is based on your individual trip (as stated on its website, average travel insurance prices range from 4% to 12% of the total trip cost). The company offers three different plan levels: Standard, Preferred and Premium. You can request a demo before signing up for the service.

COVID-19 travel coverage

If you, a family member or a traveling companion are diagnosed with COVID-19 before or during your trip and you meet the requirements for coverage due to sickness, you can get trip cancellation, trip interruption, travel delay or medical, dental and emergency assistance/transportation coverage.

The company will also cover additional lodging expenses and a travel insurance extension if you’re required to isolate at your destination and your return is delayed.

Generali Global Assistance FAQ

How do you file a claim with Generali Global Assistance?
Visit the Generali website to submit your claim, which will be reviewed by a company representative.
What services other than travel insurance does Generali offer?
Generali offers various insurance, identity protection and care options, including home care, scam assistance, vacation rental insurance and beneficiary companion services.
Where is Generali available?
It’s available in 25+ countries across the globe. In the U.S., Generali has offices in San Diego, California, and Bethesda, Maryland.
Who owns Generali Global Assistance?
Generali Global Assistance is owned by Europ Assistance North America, Inc., which also owns companies like Trip Mate.

Is Generali Global Assistance worth it?

Generali Global Assistance might be worth it if you want extra protection against credit card or identity fraud when traveling or making online transactions. Most Generali customers find the company’s services helpful in ensuring security and safety during overseas travel and when working online.

Generali Global Assistance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generali Global Assistance?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2022

Generali seemed to have a lot of good reviews so I picked it. I'm using it now. We were on a very long cruise and on the 30th of November, my sister started to get ill. The Wi-Fi was very poor and I could not contact Generali until we were in a port. It got really hectic because we had to come home from South America and my sister was COVID-positive. They wanted six or so pieces of info, like a copy of her passport and I sent that. I sent all the things they were requesting and now, I have to scan receipts. I have to give them what I want to claim. She had a $1,500 doctor's bill in Cusco. The Machu Picchu trip itself was also really expensive and I want to try to claim that because my sister was just sick in bed. I had to get another hotel room.

The part that I didn't like with Generali was the phone menu was convoluted and tricky. The phone menu was sort of blocking me from talking to someone. I could get to someone, but I had to be smart about it. I really needed to talk to someone because this was a complex situation and I had to go into the backdoor. Once I got to a person, it was good and fine.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you Elli for your review. We hope your sister is on the mend and are so grateful to have been your partner through it all.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

It was very hard to read the policy to understand what the exclusions were. I understood that a pandemic was excluded but I was concerned about the financial viability of the travel companies I booked with. It was very confusing because there was the actual travel company and then the travel agents and it was very hard to ascertain. When I called Generali, I found that the customer service person was not knowledgeable about it at all. Their policy could be clearer with regard to financial solvency and to issues surrounding the pandemic and pre-existing conditions. Other than that, the claim process was fairly good and they paid my claims on a relatively timely basis, which is why I've reused them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your feedback and your purchase Kenneth. At Generali Global Assistance, we pride ourselves on providing the support that is crucial for happy and safe travel, backed by Generali, one of the largest insurance companies in the world. Our plans can help if you are diagnosed with Coronavirus before or during your trip. You just need to meet the standard requirements for coverage due to sickness, and our plans can assist you with Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, Travel Delay, Medical & Dental, and Emergency Assistance & Transportation. If you have questions about these coverages, please reach out to us at (800) 874-2442 or via email at customerservice@generalitravelinsurance.com.

Original review: July 21, 2022

I took a trip with some friends and they were researching travel insurance. One of them has diabetes type 1. So, she needed a specific kind of insurance that would help also with medical stuff. She did all the research to find the best one for her at the best price and Generali was what she recommended. So, the four of us all bought it. I used it because, when I came back to the states, our luggage was delayed and I wasn't going straight home. So, I had to go to a store and buy one day's worth of clothing. It was so easy to submit a claim and get reimbursed.

The online procedure was really straightforward and basic, and then I didn't have to do anything. It was like two weeks later that the money went to my account. It was totally worth my time. I had such a good experience with Generali that if anybody was looking for travel insurance, I would recommend it. This was the first time I ever purchased travel insurance and I was skeptical. Generali converted me. If I do any significant traveling again, I would buy it.

Generali Global Assistance response

That's great to hear Dennis! Thanks so much for sharing your experience and for choosing Generali.

Original review: July 6, 2022

Generali mailed me the policy when they said they were going to. When I had a question, the person that I talked to was helpful and friendly. Also, I really liked their website. It's very clear what you're covered for. There are a lot of pages to the actual policy once I read it, but the summary is really clear. I've been buying Generali for a while now and I have a big trip coming up next year that I haven't bought insurance for yet. It’s the biggest trip we've gone on, so it's more expensive, and of course, the premium is more. So the premium is gonna be over $700 for this trip. There's another insurance company that is also reputable where the premium was only $550. So we might go for the less expensive one in this case because there's such a big difference.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thanks for your feedback Linda. We love our loyal customers! Our pricing is based on a variety of factors including trip cost, trip duration, time to departure and more. We regularly review our pricing and pride ourselves on having some of the highest benefit limits for the coverages travelers need most. You can easily check our coverage limits and compare those to the competitors by viewing our plan charts at https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/view-travel-insurance-plans.html . In situations like travel delay and missed connection, the extra dollars can make a big difference. Also we recommend checking the other plans to ensure they offer things like companion hospitality expenses in case of emergency hospitalization and a sufficient emergency dental coverage.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

Part of my decision to get Generali was the cost and part of it was the benefits they offered as far as what percent of coverage they had. I came in contact with a person when our original travel got cancelled because we booked up for 2020. I had to deal with the travel voucher. The only negative thing is what I didn't know. We had a trip planned. It got cancelled because of COVID. And we got a travel voucher. So, when I rescheduled the trip, the price almost doubled.

Generali said, "Well, part of it is because we're extending your window for travel." So I said, "Okay, fine." But when that second trip got canceled, when I was on their website, it said, the vouchers were only good for the end of the year. And when I just happened to get back on because I was looking for insurance for a different trip, it said the travel vouchers were good through 2023, which we had the trip rescheduled for. Again, I got another voucher. So, I thought I was out of pocket all that money. But they could do a little better about notifying me that, "Hey, by the way, if you didn't take your trip, you could still extend the voucher." Other than that, I would recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

We’re sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations and for any miscommunication you may have received Gary.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

I bought their travel insurance. My flight was cancelled by Southwest on Christmas day. Guess what? They denied my claim for travel cancellation. They asked me to approve the flight cancellation was due to weather. It is a total waste to buy their travel insurance.

Generali Global Assistance response

Hello Ming. We are sorry to hear about your negative experience and the circumstances surrounding your claim as we take customer service and the claims review process very seriously and want customers to understand the coverage details of our plans. Our dedicated claims team is currently reviewing your case and will respond with additional information regarding a determination. If you have additional questions or concerns in the meantime, please reach out to us at (800) 348-9505 or via email at customerservice@generalitravelinsurance.com.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

Working with Generali was a monumental waste of money (a $1500 premium) and time. Perhaps they’re better with medical claims, but “buyer beware” if you need to file a claim for any other loss. Here’s the story: My wife and I purchased Generali insurance to cover the $15,000 cost of renting a home on Sanibel Island, FL for the month of February, 2023. On September 28, 2022, Sanibel was hit by Hurricane Ian. The entire island was flooded by 4-12 feet of storm surge. Our ground level (ranch) rental was flooded to the rafters and made uninhabitable (no intact interior walls, no kitchen, no bathrooms).

We filed an on-line claim November 7th for the loss, based on Section 7 of the “Trip Cancellation Benefit,” which states that covered events include "Your Accommodations at your destination made Uninhabitable due to fire, flood, volcano, earthquake, hurricane or other natural disaster.” All of the requested documents were provided (a long list). Simple and clearly covered, right? Well, no… After patiently waiting for 30 days and hearing nothing, I called Generali’s Customer Service number and the “nightmare” began. The service representative had no specific information but did give me the direct number for the agent handling my claim. After leaving numerous unreturned voice mail messages, I called back, and Customer Service gave me the name of the agent’s supervisor.

Countless calls to both agent and supervisor went unanswered until January 5th, when after a 3rd call to Customer Service, the agent finally called me. She apologized for the delay, stated that she had all the information needed, and promised to process the claim in a week. Then, on January 13, I received an Email from her denying the claim, stating that there was “no longer a mandatory evacuation or road closures that would have prevented you from taking your trip.” She completely ignored the basis for our claims (that the house was uninhabitable). P.S., The good news is that our host was able to cancel the reservation, and as a result, Airbnb issued a full refund. If only I had known this was an option…

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your feedback Rob.  At Generali Global Assistance, we pride ourselves on providing the support that is crucial for happy and safe travel, backed by Generali, one of the largest insurance companies in the world.  We’re sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim and for not meeting your expectations. We take customer service and the claims review process very seriously. We will review your claim further and be in touch should we need further details. If you have any additional questions in the meantime, please reach out to us at (800) -874-2442 or via email at claims@generalitravelinsurance.com.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

Generali’s customer service seems good and when I contact them for changes, they seem on the ball. The purchase service and modifications are very good and the cost is okay. One of the things that’s lacking is a full year plan. I travel so much and I buy a plan for every time I travel. So, it'd be nice to have a full year of travel plan. Otherwise, I'm very happy.

Generali Global Assistance response

Hello David. Thanks for the feedback and your purchase! We will consider your input for future updates to our plan options.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

I do the signup on my computer, and it's very fast. I've used Generali for several years, every time we go someplace, and I've never had to file a claim, but I've told friends to use them.

Generali Global Assistance response

That's great to hear Julie. Thanks for your loyalty and for recommending Generali to your friends!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

We rarely do trip insurances but we purchased one with Generali Global Assistance because my mother-in-law has some health issues and we didn't know when we booked what the situation would be. I was impressed by the purchase process. There was a grid on the website and it showed various levels of protection. It detailed what the differences were and it was super easy to pick one and then pay.

I liked the ease of doing business with Generali, not only on the purchasing side but also on the side where we were gonna need support. It sounded like they were very easy to do business with. The experience has been great so far. But the proof is in the pudding. We will go on our trip next week and hopefully, things will go well.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your feedback and your purchase Brian. We have a dedicated customer service team who can help you understand all the covered events in your plan and can explain the services available for use now. Just give us a call at 800-874-2442.

Generali Global Assistance Company Information