2. Travel

Call Now Toll Free
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.93/5
Get a Quote

Generali Global Assistance is a full-service travel insurance service provider that offers three distinct plans built to serve diverse needs. You can compare and contrast plan options and check out various coverages like trip cancellation, baggage loss, medical evacuation and more on the company’s website.

BOTTOM LINE

Generali offers comprehensive coverage options for travel insurance, identity protection, cyber security, home care and more. It’s available in more than 25 countries, but its services can be expensive for some.

PROS

• Wide variety of services
  • Operates in 25+ countries
  • Offers Iris Identity Protection app

CONS

• Services can be expensive
  • Some services redundant/unnecessary

Top Generali Global Assistance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generali Global Assistance?

Very easy to apply online. It was a very straightforward process and they help explained all lines of the application. They are very highly rated by many more people than the rest. We received confirmation right away which gave us peace of mind quickly.

Easy to work with and answered all my questions. I’ve never bought this much insurance before so the jury is still out. The size of the trip is unusual to us. We are hoping to give more comments later. Thank you for asking.

Generali Global Assistance Call Now Toll Free (800) 874-2442 Learn More Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

What is Generali Global Assistance?

Generali Global Assistance is a travel insurance provider that offers a variety of care options and travel-related aid. Its overseas travel, online security and eldercare services include:

• Travel insurance: Protects against lost luggage, cancellation and medical emergency costs.
  • Vacation rental insurance: Provides comprehensive coverage for vacation rental properties.
  • Identity and cyber protection: Wards off online identity theft attempts.
  • Beneficiary companion: Provides care after the passing of a loved one.
  • Travel assistance: Helps with overseas language interpretation, medical assistance and more.
  • Travel risk management: Provides businesses with international travel assistance and risk mitigation.
  • ScamAssist: Helps prevent credit card fraud by rating the scam likelihood of virtual messages.
  • Home care: Partners policyholders with dedicated care advisors to help take care of loved ones at home.

How does Generali Global Assistance work?

Generali Global Assistance has a multinational presence, and its services are available in more than 25 countries.You can sign up for the Generali service of your choice by calling the company. After you speak with a representative to customize a protection plan to your needs, Generali offers the option to add on extra services.

Generali travel insurance costs

Generali doesn’t list prices on its website, but the cost of its travel insurance is based on your individual trip (as stated on its website, average travel insurance prices range from 4% to 12% of the total trip cost). The company offers three different plan levels: Standard, Preferred and Premium. You can request a demo before signing up for the service.

Generali Global Assistance FAQ

How do you file a claim with Generali Global Assistance?
Visit the Generali website to submit your claim, which will be reviewed by a company representative.
What services other than travel insurance does Generali offer?
Generali offers various insurance, identity protection and care options, including home care, scam assistance, vacation rental insurance and beneficiary companion services.
Where is Generali available?
It’s available in 25+ countries across the globe. In the U.S., Generali has offices in San Diego, California, and Bethesda, Maryland.
Who owns Generali Global Assistance?
Generali Global Assistance is owned by Europ Assistance North America, Inc., which also owns companies like Trip Mate.

Is Generali Global Assistance worth it?

Generali Global Assistance might be worth it if you want extra protection against credit card or identity fraud when traveling or making online transactions. Most Generali customers find the company’s services helpful in ensuring security and safety during overseas travel and when working online.

Generali Global Assistance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generali Global Assistance?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I've used Generali before. My mother was sick in the hospital and I had to postpone a trip. They gave me my money back. I was shocked because I've never used it before. You have to fill forms out and get doctors to fill forms. You have to show evidence and I get it because there are a lot of phonies out there. Recently, I was trying to get insurance that has primary medical. I went online, entered names, birth dates, dates of trip, where you're going, and how much you're spending on each person that you want to insure. It generates a number and you're either happy or not happy.

It's easy to fill out the forms. There are three or four choices of what you want. There's a list of a few products that you can choose from. Make sure you know what you're buying. You can't complain if you don't buy the correct product. I've done it enough times that I know what to look for and I'm fine with it. But there are some people that just take the cheapest product and for $20 or $30 more, you can get a better product. When you cut a trip short, they cover that if something were to happen and you have to go home. You can use it as a secondary insurance but if you can get it at a reasonable cost for primary, if something happens, you get reimbursed much quicker. The rates are really good too.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We appreciate your feedback and the time it took for you to share your experience.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

We do a fair amount of international travel. If we do it with a tour company, they usually offer travel insurance, but it's at a high premium. So we've gone on internet and looked at different insurance companies. When you're looking for a price and you pull up a list, there are 20 insurance companies that will come up. Each one of them is gonna have their price and they range anywhere from $100 to $500 for a particular trip, so then you have to look at the small print. When we first did this a few years ago, we looked closely at Generali, and then from that point on, we decided to zero in on this company. We don't understand all the small print and the difference between one company and the other anyway. Generali was was not necessarily the cheapest, but it wasn't the most expensive either. It's the one we felt the most comfortable with.

We've used them five times and purchasing it is straightforward. It's very simple for us because we're used to it, so we know that we have to have the invoice for the trip and flight plans. If it's through a travel company, we need to have that invoice number and a copy of the invoice. This last year we've had a couple of trips that got cancelled because of the COVID. We simply called them up, referenced the trip that we were referring to and then got back to them and let them know that it was rescheduled for 2021. In two cases, there was a premium increase and I argued with this. “How can you give me an increase? We didn't do anything.” However, I understand inflation and how that works. There's also more of a risk going forward because of the uncertainty of international travel.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your review and feedback! We understand that while your trip may not have changed, you may be buying insurance coverage further in advance, which could result in a different insurance premium. We wish you safe travels!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Turks and Caicos government recommended Generali. I couldn't go there unless I had Generali, because of COVID-19. I have international insurance with my health insurance. But I had to have that special travel one to go into Turks and Caicos. I had six people going. One of my son's significant other did all six of us online. She was done in one minute. The policy got me into the country and that's what I needed for my vacation for two weeks. It was a $50 policy.

Generali should get hooked up to all these Caribbean islands that are requiring this extra insurance. They need to get with their government and say, “Will you promote our insurance?" Because whenever Americans travel outside the country, if they were an experienced person or if they network, they need to know what they need to go to that country so they go to that travel website. But America has it too. They say, “Oh, don't travel to Russia,” or “Don't travel to China,” or whatever on ours, but it doesn't tell you you have to have insurance going in there. You need to go to the marketing person for your company at the department and just say, “Hey, I was just talking to this lady from Turks and Caicos. This is how she found our company, was from their government," which requires the insurance for the two weeks that I'm there.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and hope you will consider us again for your next trip!

Original review: July 23, 2020

I deal with Vacations To Go, and they dealt with Generali in the past, and that's who we always insured our cruises with. I bought their insurance before, and I've used it before too. I've never dealt business with them directly though. It was always handled by my agent at the travel agency and this last time, I had to do things totally online because there was absolutely nobody to talk to. I needed to change the dates of my insurance. I don't think it matters, but we’re gonna leave a little bit sooner than we were before.

I sat on hold for 45 minutes and gave up. I then emailed them and got no response, so I blew it off. It’s frustrating, but I understand they have situations to deal with like everybody else. Right now, everybody's having trouble getting in touch with anybody that they need, so I'm not faulting them for that too much. With everything being canceled, right and left, I'm sure they get a lot of calls coming in as well.

I also understand that people don't have a lot of people in the office now, but I don’t see why people can't work from home as long as they’re doing things over the internet. I don’t know why they don't have any people and why it takes so long to get somebody on the phone, but I’d still recommend Generali. They have treated me fine. In the past (a couple of years ago), I never had any problems with it. I had a cruise I had to cancel because our flight got canceled and we couldn't catch our ship. I called and gave them my information. I also gave them the day that I requested, and they sent my money back.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your review and feedback! We apologize for our wait times as we’re experiencing an unusually high volume of customer inquiries due to coronavirus concerns. But rest assured, we are all still working remotely and are adding staff to help all customers.

We received your request to move your departure date and I’ve requested a Customer Service Rep to phone you as soon as possible.

Original review: May 9, 2020

I talked to one Generali rep who was really nice when I was first getting into insurance. He told me about his company and how they work when I have a problem from overseas. Currently, I get Generali when I'm going out of the country since at my age, having some major things when out of the country would be devastating if I didn't have some kind of insurance. Even though I'm on Medicare and I have good supplemental insurance, that doesn't help when I'm out of the country.

Recently, the cruise I was going on got cancelled a month before the trip date. I already had an airline reservation and insurance and I had to cancel both of those.

While my experience with Generali Global Assistance was fine, they didn't give me a rebate. They gave me credit instead. I went back through TripInsurance whom I contracted to get Generali for me. They made a request to Generali who then said that I needed to come to their website to get a voucher for my money and that would expire by December 31st. It would be a lot easier if they had not put a six-month time limit on it. It’s all a big game that they play. They keep my money in the bank and they make interest on it. That’s what disturbs me. I should get my money back and get interest off of it for myself instead of Generali getting interest off of it. Still, their price is right and their limits are great for that price.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us. Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I am very pleased with the ease of purchasing a travel insurance plan from Generali Global Assistance. I like the choice of coverages that vary based on domestic or international and other variables. I was most interested in what happens when there is a named storm as well as what happens if a close relative passes while traveling or immediately prior to the trip.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

We had the choice to buy the insurance from Generali due to my medical conditions and purchasing the policy was easy.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I have used Generali before and it was simple and easy to sign up for it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

I originally purchased Generali for a trip last year but got postponed. I wish I could have taken the cancel-for-any-reason option, especially now with COVID.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your review! We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I got an insurance through Generali for a trip. I did it because of uncertainties. Thanks to Generali I was able to compare the products to pick up the right policy for my budget.

Generali Global Assistance Company Information