4.0/5 (57 ratings)

About Generali Global Assistance

Generali Global Assistance is a full-service travel insurance service provider that offers three distinct plans built to serve diverse needs. You can compare and contrast plan options and check out various coverages like trip cancellation, baggage loss, medical evacuation and more on the company’s website.

Pros

• Wide variety of services
  • Operates in 25+ countries
  • Offers Iris Identity Protection app

Cons

• Services can be expensive
  • Some services redundant/unnecessary

Bottom Line

Generali offers comprehensive coverage options for travel insurance, identity protection, cyber security, home care and more. It’s available in more than 25 countries, but its services can be expensive for some.

Top Generali Global Assistance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Very easy to apply online. It was a very straightforward process and they help explained all lines of the application. They are very highly rated by many more people than the rest...

Verified

Easy to work with and answered all my questions. I’ve never bought this much insurance before so the jury is still out. The size of the trip is unusual to us. We are hoping to giv...

What is Generali Global Assistance?

Generali Global Assistance is a travel insurance provider that offers a variety of care options and travel-related aid. Its overseas travel, online security and eldercare services include:

• Travel insurance: Protects against lost luggage, cancellation and medical emergency costs.
  • Vacation rental insurance: Provides comprehensive coverage for vacation rental properties.
  • Identity and cyber protection: Wards off online identity theft attempts.
  • Beneficiary companion: Provides care after the passing of a loved one.
  • Travel assistance: Helps with overseas language interpretation, medical assistance and more.
  • Travel risk management: Provides businesses with international travel assistance and risk mitigation.
  • ScamAssist: Helps prevent credit card fraud by rating the scam likelihood of virtual messages.
  • Home care: Partners policyholders with dedicated care advisors to help take care of loved ones at home.

How does Generali Global Assistance work?

Generali Global Assistance has a multinational presence, and its services are available in more than 25 countries.You can sign up for the Generali service of your choice by calling the company. After you speak with a representative to customize a protection plan to your needs, Generali offers the option to add on extra services.

Generali travel insurance costs

Generali doesn’t list prices on its website, but the cost of its travel insurance is based on your individual trip (as stated on its website, average travel insurance prices range from 4% to 12% of the total trip cost). The company offers three different plan levels: Standard, Preferred and Premium. You can request a demo before signing up for the service.

COVID-19 travel coverage

If you, a family member or a traveling companion are diagnosed with COVID-19 before or during your trip and you meet the requirements for coverage due to sickness, you can get trip cancellation, trip interruption, travel delay or medical, dental and emergency assistance/transportation coverage.

The company will also cover additional lodging expenses and a travel insurance extension if you’re required to isolate at your destination and your return is delayed.

Generali Global Assistance FAQ

How do you file a claim with Generali Global Assistance?
Visit the Generali website to submit your claim, which will be reviewed by a company representative.
What services other than travel insurance does Generali offer?
Generali offers various insurance, identity protection and care options, including home care, scam assistance, vacation rental insurance and beneficiary companion services.
Where is Generali available?
It’s available in 25+ countries across the globe. In the U.S., Generali has offices in San Diego, California, and Bethesda, Maryland.
Who owns Generali Global Assistance?
Generali Global Assistance is owned by Europ Assistance North America, Inc., which also owns companies like Trip Mate.

Is Generali Global Assistance worth it?

Generali Global Assistance might be worth it if you want extra protection against credit card or identity fraud when traveling or making online transactions. Most Generali customers find the company’s services helpful in ensuring security and safety during overseas travel and when working online.

Generali Global Assistance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generali Global Assistance?

Original review: March 12, 2022

Generali's login process didn't work well. It would say that my password is incorrect. And I kept on trying. It finally let me in. So, that was a frustrating aspect about it. Other than that, submitting the claims was straightforward on their website. They handled it within their stated guidelines. They said they would look at it within 30 days. It was day 26, and we finally heard some conversation with them. They contacted us via email. They needed additional documentation. We provided it. And that same evening, they said that they approved our claim and they would get a check to us within two weeks. And it came within a week. So, we're satisfied about that. Overall, it was a positive experience.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thanks so much Jonathan for your review. We're so glad we could help. The claims process can take some time, as our regulatory laws require a number of reviews and required documentation. Under normal circumstance, the process can take up to 30 days, however, we were glad to be able to process yours in 26. We apologize for the technical issue. We are working with our technical team to investigate and resolve. Thanks again for your business and your patience.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

Part of my decision to get Generali was the cost and part of it was the benefits they offered as far as what percent of coverage they had. I came in contact with a person when our original travel got cancelled because we booked up for 2020. I had to deal with the travel voucher. The only negative thing is what I didn't know. We had a trip planned. It got cancelled because of COVID. And we got a travel voucher. So, when I rescheduled the trip, the price almost doubled.

Generali said, "Well, part of it is because we're extending your window for travel." So I said, "Okay, fine." But when that second trip got canceled, when I was on their website, it said, the vouchers were only good for the end of the year. And when I just happened to get back on because I was looking for insurance for a different trip, it said the travel vouchers were good through 2023, which we had the trip rescheduled for. Again, I got another voucher. So, I thought I was out of pocket all that money. But they could do a little better about notifying me that, "Hey, by the way, if you didn't take your trip, you could still extend the voucher." Other than that, I would recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

We’re sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations and for any miscommunication you may have received Gary.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

We had boarded and then, probably an hour after we'd been on the plane, we were told that something happened during refueling. So the plane couldn’t be flown and we were sitting on the plane for about three hours. We were told that we were going to be rebooked for the next flight. But that wasn't until 24 hours later. November 4th was the original day we were supposed to leave but we didn't end up leaving until the 5th. The travel insurance paid for the day we missed. We had to pay for the Airbnb that we weren't there for. It took a while for a response about the claim with Generali but once they looked at the claim, it went quickly. The customer service was great. I was glad Generali was able to help compensate for something.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thanks so much Alexis for your review. We're so glad we could help. The claims process can take some time, as our regulatory laws require a number of reviews and required documentation. Under normal circumstance, the process can take up to 30 days, however, we were glad to be able to process yours in 22. Thanks again for being a loyal Generali customer.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I got a claim in with them right now and I haven't heard anything from them in a couple of weeks. The claim was for United Airlines, coming back from Florida on my last trip. They had a lot of trouble with their planes and they canceled flights and that was what happened to me. I had to spend the night in a hotel. So, I put a claim in for the expense. I called last week and they said, "Leave your phone number and we'll get back to you," if I didn't want to wait in line. I did that, left my phone number, but I never got a callback. But overall, I'm very happy. I'd book again.

Generali Global Assistance response

Hello Alfred. Thanks so much for your review. The claims process can take some time, as our regulatory laws require a number of reviews and required documentation. Under normal circumstance, the process can take up to 30 days, however, I'm happy to report your's has been completed ahead of schedule. You should be receiving an email today.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

We were going on vacation in Turks and Caicos and the place required that we had travel insurance. When I did a search, Generali was one of the first ones that popped up that had all the criteria required. Turks and Caicos also recommended them in the top three companies to look at. The villa we stayed at also offered us information on the travel insurance and Generali was number one in their list of options. Overall, Generali came back as one of the top rated companies and that pushed me in that direction.

Generali was one of the better websites that allowed me to pick through different options. I had three tabs open on my browser with the different companies and I was toggling back and forth looking at who's got what. It was really difficult with some of the other companies because there were different options. Generali's website was the easiest to navigate. I just plugged it in and they immediately gave me the three different levels. I could see what I was getting, what it was going to cost me, and how they would different. That just made it really simple. I kept doing the searches on the company because you have no idea what you’re buying because you may not use it. But there were plenty of people who may have had to use it at one point in time.

I would have never considered using Generali if it wasn't for the pandemic and the requirement of the travel. But I found that maybe in the future, I would likely use travel insurance because when you go away and even though you have your own health insurance, it will only cover certain things. If you’re in a foreign country that has limited healthcare options, they may have to send you elsewhere. I read some horror stories of people who had something happen. Somebody had to have dental surgery and there was nobody there on the island to do it, so they had to send them somewhere else. That was covered. If it hadn't been covered, they would have had to pay upwards of $200,000 just to get transported. When I read the binder that came with what I got from Generali, I was surprised at how much stuff they covered. There were things you wouldn't even think of.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thanks Anthony = that is great to hear! Thanks for your business. Enjoy your trip!

Original review: May 11, 2022

I don't usually insure my trips, but I was travelling to a place above the Arctic Circle. It was a fairly exotic trip and a long ways away, so it was just right to insure it. I did that by going to Generali's website, which was pretty straightforward.

Generali Global Assistance response

That's great to hear Thomas! Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

Original review: April 30, 2022

My Generali coverage was easy to buy from the website. But the follow up email with my actual policy number went to my spam email. It didn't come to my inbox and I had to like search for it. Their phone call comes through as spam too.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thanks for the feedback and purchase Jessica! We apologize for this technical issue. We are working with our technical team to investigate and resolve. Based on customer feedback like yours, we are working on better ways we can make improvements. Thanks again for your business and your patience.

Original review: April 29, 2022

Their customer service is excellent and they have a reasonable cost. I was very pleased. I'm going on a trip to Italy this summer, and I'm probably gonna do the same thing. Just do Generali and get a real-time quote in five minutes.

Generali Global Assistance response

That's great to hear, thanks for the feedback Rahul! Enjoy your trip.

Original review: April 28, 2022

The policy looked like it was covering what I needed and it was easy enough to understand as well as purchase. I had a certificate of insurance in an email, and I felt protected. I'd sign up for Generali every time I traveled, if I got a rebate if nothing was used. That'd be an incentive to buy because it's a gamble. I'm betting something's gonna happen, and they're betting something's not gonna happen.

Insurance companies profit in the billions. If they paid everything that ever came in, they’d still make a huge profit. Our trip was 500 bucks and if everybody on that trip bought something like that, that's 6,000 people, 18,000 over two weekends or some crazy number. Even if they had to pay on every claim on that event, it would be a big hit. Every other trip that they book and don't pay on, it would way more than pay for it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thanks so much for your feedback Thomas.Unfortunately as a regulated industry we are unable to offer customers incentives like this. We are always looking for ways to add value to our plans and that is why we have other added services like Concierge and Identity Theft Protection that can help you even if you don't have a travel emergency. For more info visit: https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/travel-resources/services

Original review: April 27, 2022

I wouldn’t have bought travel insurance through Generali because it’s covered by my credit card, but the country we were going to required us to have travel insurance because of COVID. American Express gives us the same stuff, but they didn't accept it. I just wanted it done, so I paid for travel insurance. It was a colossal waste of money, but it was a necessary evil.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thanks so much for your feedback Robert. Unfortunately credit card insurance often falls short of what is really required to help protect your trip, which is why some countries will not accept the lower coverage limits. For more info, please read our blog: https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/travel-resources/why-credit-cards-not-good-for-travel-insurance.html

Generali Global Assistance Company Information