4.53/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Generali Global Assistance now allows you to Travel Smarter™. As a full-service travel insurance and assistance provider, Generali offers three distinct plans built to serve the diverse needs of today’s traveler. Compare and contrast plan options online on their new website and easily check plan coverages including trip cancellation, baggage loss, medical evacuation and more.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 15, 2017

145 Generali Global Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I've been with Generali for a month and a week. They are very easy to deal and work with. Everything went well.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I had some health issues that I was concerned that might cause me to cancel my trip. The owner of the home that I was renting recommended Generali to me. They were easy to work with and informative. It was a very good experience.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

When I compared Generali with another company, it's more convenient for me to get coverage from them because of a lot of positive points. And when I talked to their reps over the phone, they were very knowledgeable. In the last cruise I had with Holland Cruise Line, I had a small complaint. I had contact directly with the cruise company by mail and they didn’t cover some expenses. But overall, I was happy with my experience with Generali.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I was going out of the country and I wanted to make sure that I had coverage if I got sick. I bought insurance from Generali for my trip and I did it online. We missed our first flight connecting from Toronto to Rome because there was bad weather in Toronto. We had to fly around until it got clear enough for us to land. By the time we did, we missed our flight which cost us to miss the first day and they charged us because we weren't able to cancel within 24 hours. At the end of the trip, the person I was traveling with had to go to the hospital because of heart problems so we missed our coming back flight. It cost me $3,400 to get a ticket to come home. She had to have a nurse come and accompany her. I'll be submitting a claim for that. I probably won't get a nickel, but I'm going to try.

Generali Global Assistance response

Bonnie, did you submit a claim? We're happy to look into it for you.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

One of my friends told me about Generali but my experience with them was not good. We had a problem with our ticket on our way back to San Francisco. I didn't have a chance to go to the company, but my friend called and they told her she can’t do anything about the insurance because we bought it after we got the ticket. I am very suspicious because we’ve talked about that and they knew we just got that insurance a week after. And if the insurance didn't work, we could have had a serious problem. I called them a couple of times but nobody called me back yet and it's been three days. If something happened and I called but they didn't call me back, then I don't think there’s something good about this insurance. I want to find out if we will be paid for the hotel and our expenses.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for reaching out Yelena. We're sorry we were not able to meet your expectation. I am writing you a private message about your experience so that we can rectify your call back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generali Global Assistance?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

We were going to a foreign country and we'd never know the amount of money we're going to spend so it made sense to get a travel insurance. I took someone's recommendation to go with Generali and did it all online by myself. Navigating their website was very easy and didn't take me long at all. I would recommend them. It's been a very good experience with Generali.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you Melissa. We have invested in a new website and are happy to hear it worked well for you.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I have had Generali several times. For a few days in July, I was overseas and had forgotten to do an insurance so I went on their website and applied for it. Usually, I have a program. But I haven’t really used it, the only thing I did was pay a premium. In general, travel insurances in United States are very expensive. So if people find an alternative for an American travel insurance, I would recommend that.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

The claim was processed, but I am not satisfied with the result. I travelled and I was stuck in the way back because of the hurricane. I had to change my flight, otherwise I would stay another week abroad. I bought it with Delta miles. So on the way back, when they exchanged me the flight, they used my miles - a lot of it. When I asked to be reimbursed for that part, they didn’t accept that. They only reimbursed for the cash I paid, but not for the Delta miles. I could use those miles for another trip, but I used those miles to be back at home. So that is what I am disappointed with. If I knew that that was the case, I would have asked not to use any mile and to have flown all in cash and I should be reimbursed for the trip.

This is the first time this happened to me though. I was thinking this time because there are so many claims because of the hurricane so they’re looking to save money. I’ll continue using Generali because few months ago I also had a problem. My flight was delayed and I had to change flight, but I paid in cash and I was reimbursed for the total cost of changing the flight and whatever other expenses.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you Iris for your feedback. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations. In your case frequent flyer miles do not have a cash value, so therefore are not covered by our policies.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

We have used Generali's predecessor, CSA, on multiple occasions as we always purchased travel insurance when we take trips to the third world countries. We dealt with Generali online, and the interaction was little dicey, but we worked it out. That was when we were caught in Nepal for the earthquake and half of our trip got cancelled. We were supposed to continue into Tibet, but we got diverted. They were asking us for documents from Nepal, and I finally blew the gasket and said, "I am not calling those people, asking them for any documents for the remainder of that trip since they're trying to survive". And that sort of took care of that. Other than that pushback, however, things were easy. Buy travel insurance before you go somewhere where you just don’t have the resources to handle it all yourself. I recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I bought the policy for 25 years and I trust them and they know what I want. Customer service is also very good. I had my previous travel with them, and they are still working on the claim I submitted online. I'd recommend Generali!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

We always purchase travel insurance. On our first time, the price was then pretty good and it is still pretty good now. Customer service is also excellent. This last one, I didn’t even have to talk to anybody 'cause I did it online. What I don't understand though is that I had to double check to make sure that it was CSA because when it came back, it had a lot of that Generali. Nevertheless, I would recommend Generali.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you John. Yes, CSA Travel Protection is now Generali. We took on our new parent company's name in June of this year. Our call center is still California based and will provide the same great service you've experienced in the past.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

We've been in a couple of trips where people had been ill and one had to be helicoptered out and all-around things that happen. We're getting up there in age a little bit and all of the things are going on in the world and you never know what might happen. I've looked at other travel insurance companies, but I liked the directness and simplicity of Generali's site. It tells exactly what you get and it's easier to navigate compared to some other companies. Also, it's a reasonably priced product so I stick with them, and I would recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you George. Our new website has only been live a few months, so it's great to hear you found it easy to use. Thanks for your business!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

My luggage was misplaced. I went to Barcelona and it went to Rome. When I tried to file a claim, I found out that I could only be paid for the miniscule amount based on the loss issue and nothing for the inconvenience. And so, that surprised me. They could have gotten me as much, but it's just a matter of the rules. If you read the rules very carefully, they follow them. It's my fault for not reading it more closely. What the insurance pays back is a very complex formula and in favor of the insurers as opposed to the insuree. But it's neither misleading nor false advertising. Consumers just generally don't take time these days to read the fine print. I would recommend Generali, but with the understanding that it's really good insurance for the big items - missing airplanes, hotel space, things of that nature. But don't count on it for small things.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim and for not meeting your expectations as we take reviewing and responding to claims very seriously and want customers to understand the coverage details of our plans. There are two ways in which baggage is included in our plans, Baggage Delay and Baggage Loss. The Baggage Delay Coverage we offer begins at $200 per person and increases with our Preferred and Premium Plans. This is meant to provide coverage for the emergency items needed while your baggage was delayed. Baggage Loss begins at $500 per person. A nice side-by-side comparison can be found at https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/view-travel-insurance-plans.html.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

My mother purchased the insurance from Generali for us when we went to Jamaica. She had near death experience in the water and it was quite traumatic! We, however, didn’t use the travel insurance, but it was nice to know it was there.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I chose between Alliance and Generali and went with the latter because they are a little bit cheaper. Everything was good with Generali. It was convenient. I booked online. It was pretty easy and straightforward with explaining the coverage and what we were getting. I didn’t have to use it so, hopefully, I don’t have to. But if I do, hopefully they’re there with what they’re supposed to cover.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I’m over 65 and got the travel insurance for the medical coverage when I was overseas. For what I was getting and what I was looking for, Generali's price was the best I could find. I got it online and it worked out. I found their website through one of those aggregate websites. They listed out what the coverage was and explained the different coverage. If friends would ask me about Generali, I'd tell them to take a look at it.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

My wife and I are both in our mid-60s, and we were going in a fairly extensive trip. And on the off chance that there would be any kind of health issues beforehand, or even during the course of the trip, we wanted to be prepared. So, we decided to get travel insurance. I read reviews online as we prepared for the trip, and I looked at three different companies. Generali was a well-rated company at a price point that seemed right, so we decided to go with them.

On our way home from the trip, we had a bag go missing because our return was pushed back one day in transit, due to having to stay over a night to catch another flight. So, I called the emergency contact number for Generali, and the contact I had at that point was very good. It was answered quickly, and the representative gave me all the information that I would have needed to follow up if we were going to. We were lucky that nothing too wrong happened. But if we had to, Generali seemed like a good company to deal with. We’ve used them, and had a good experience, so I’d be more than happy to recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thanks Eric for your kind review. We strive for five-star service and were glad we were there to help.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I heard about Generali Global Assistance through my friends. And since I'm worried about my health I took an insurance The customer service rep was very polite and good. I recommended them.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I flied with VivaColumbia and Generali Global Assistance was the insurance company that they recommended. My mom booked it for me and she got the insurance since she's sort of paranoid about that stuff. But I wasn't expecting anything to happen. So I went to Columbia and while I was there, the airline told me four days before I was going to fly back that my flight was cancelled. I have a business so it's hard for me to miss days on my job. I contacted the insurance company to see if they could help me out regarding the time that I was there. They asked me to send them some paperwork then they wrote to me and said that they're working on it. But they didn't get back to me because they have a large amount of people that are writing to them. So, as of now, I'm still waiting. That was three months ago so it's been quite a while. But they gave me another flight to go back to Colombia.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

My wife and I purchased a travel insurance for an expensive trip. We were going to be gone for a month that we just felt that we needed a little extra insurance on the trip. Everything went well as my wife talked to the reps to make the purchase. She had a good experience so that's why she went through with it. Generali Global Assistance has been great.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I was flying to a place for some leisure but it could’ve been cancelled from a hurricane so I wanted to make sure I got my money back if that happened. And, the people I booked the trip with recommended Generali. It was reasonable and it definitely has its place. You don’t need to put it on everything you do, but it depends on where you’re traveling and what kind of troubles you might encounter while you’re there. But if somebody else was going down to that same destination, by all means, I’ll recommend it.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

The place that we vacationed at last summer recommended Generali and has a link on their website. We stayed at an island off the coast of Mexico and their policy is that they offer no refunds if there was a cancellation of the flight over to the island so they recommended travel insurance. It was a $2000 trip and I've been on trips like it before and had no insurance, so I picked one that was basically the cheapest for me. Although I just signed up and didn't use it, getting the insurance was very easy.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I shopped around and everything that Generali had in the plan that was offered was what I needed. Their user-friendly website made it easy to sign up and everything that they offered was reasonably priced. I would recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I would tell anybody travelling, especially on an expensive trip, to get travel insurance. We were going on a tour and Generali Global Assistance was recommended through the tour group that we were using for that tour. Purchasing the policy was very easy to do online. The price of their travel insurance was reasonable compared to that of other insurance companies and the policy covered everything that we needed to cover. If I had any questions as to their ability to take care of things, I wouldn't have bought the policy from them. I'll be using Generali for an upcoming trip. I may have used them one other time and there weren't any issues with that trip, so that was a good thing. The only time that I'd call Generali's Customer Service is if I was having trouble with travelling and so far, when using them, I haven't had any trouble. I've used another travel insurance company before, but I've never had any issues with Generali.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

We were going to take a cruise, and I was looking for a trip insurance in case we had a problem. My experience with Generali's representatives was very straightforward. I asked questions and they answered to my satisfaction. They were absolutely courteous and professional. I’m hoping they would be just as easy to work with if I had a claim.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

It was a good experience with Generali. We planned a trip to Scotland and decided to have a travel insurance. Generali's price was very favorable compared to other places. I needed to make one call to customer service to clarify something. The individual on the phone was very helpful in speaking to me. If I had a friend who was looking for a travel insurance policy, I would suggest that they check out Generali, go to their website, they have a variety of different policies available. And I'd highly recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I had been abroad at one other time and got hurt so I decided to get a travel insurance. Generali seems to have a good balance when it comes to the cost and what they said they would provide so I decided to choose them. It was easy to see what they were offering, and to compare prices, and to sign up for it. So, as far as that goes, it was a good experience. And I read also, there were reviews about what people had experienced that did have claims, and that was helpful for me to make the choice too. The price was good for what was included, and that’s something that people should consider, that they don’t always consider.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

They're very professional and simple and there's always reassurance that they're going to be there.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

We usually purchase travel insurance when we go to Europe, in case if anything happens so we can have medevac or the like. It was the first time I was using Generali and I looked to make sure that they also have a medevac feature. I am satisfied with their price and the offering. Given that we didn’t have to use it, but for the price as an insurance, I felt it was a good thing to do.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

My friend's mother was very ill and I was afraid that my friend got to go. I got a travel insurance so that I would be able to go with her. I went with her recommendation which was Generali. Their website was fine. I was able to sign up without a problem. I'd recommend it.

Generali Global Assistance Company Information