4.00/5
  • 1 star
Based on 225 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Generali Global Assistance now allows you to Travel Smarter™. As a full-service travel insurance and assistance provider, Generali offers three distinct plans built to serve the diverse needs of today’s traveler. Compare and contrast plan options online on their new website and easily check plan coverages including trip cancellation, baggage loss, medical evacuation and more.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 8, 2018

229 Generali Global Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

This company is a complete scam! My mother in law injured herself on our boat prior to arriving on our trip and they claimed my policy did not have travel delay of coverage! We had doctor notes and she underwent surgery the day of arrival! See images below.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim and for not meeting your expectations. We take customer service and the claims review process very seriously and strive to provide a fair, equitable and timely process for all customers. A dedicated claims team member is investigating your case further and will be in touch with you. If you have any additional questions in the meantime, please reach out to us at (800) 348-9505 or via email at csa@csatravelprotection.com.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

My experience with Generali has been terrific. I’ve used them more than half a dozen times, and I’ve had to make claims twice, and both times, it has been a very helpful and fair experience. One time, my wife and I were going on a trip when my wife fell and broke her arm a couple of weeks before we left. So, that kind of mess up went up, but that worked out very well. Also, last year, I was on a bike trip with a friend who had a bad fall and had to come home early. I had to come with him because he was hurt so bad, and Generali was very fair. For something like a biking trip that we had, where you have to be physically in shape, it is a very reasonable, cost-effective approach to covering your travel risk. In fact, I’m planning another trip right now, and I will certainly incorporate in my plan signing up with Generali again.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We appreciate your feedback and the time it took for you to share your experience.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I was traveling with my 3 kids so it was four tickets and it was over the holidays. Sometimes kids get sick or something may happen so in my mind I was like, "Let me just get protection just in case." That specific travel agency that I was using was not using Generali. I was like, "No. I know another company that I've used before." My ticket agent that I used to have before offered me Generali and I said, "Let me go with them." I went back with them. They had a better quotation than the one that most people offered me. I was also traveling the same route that I was looking to be covered.

Speaking to Generali's rep was good. I spoke with a young lady that day. She did a good job. She told me what they had based on what I was expecting. I purchased the insurance because it was going along a thin line on what I was looking for. However, after that, I never got any email with the policy number from them. I think they got the wrong email from me. They were only happy that they got the money. I could have gone back online and find the 1-800 Number and call them. But then, I got real busy that I never went back and I didn’t have the time to do all that. My only prayer was that I didn’t need to use them, which I didn’t. So, I'm glad. When you buy insurance then you expect to hear from them and tell you what your policy is going to cover, what it's not going to cover and all those. I never got anything. So, it was a very bad experience. I was not satisfied with the service.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your experience and for not meeting your expectations. We take customer service very seriously and strive to provide a smooth and seamless experience for all customers. We have investigated your case and determined that your policy was in effect. Please reach out to us at (800) 348-9505 or via email at csa@csatravelprotection.com in the future as we are glad to assist you with any concerns you may have with your insurance purchase.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I was going to a foreign country in the Caribbean and I decided to get travel insurance. I went to a website that compared several different companies and Generali seemed like they offered a comprehensive package at a reasonable price. I bought the travel insurance online and it went well. I would tell a friend to look into them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

When you travel, things can happen. So, I feel more comfortable having travel insurance. I searched on the Internet, found a few websites, did a comparison, and came to my conclusion of what I wanted. Because of the cost and benefit and it had the most value, I went with Generali. I paid online and printed the policy, and their website was easy to use. Luckily, I didn't have to use them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers are glad to hear that there were no issues with your trip.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generali Global Assistance?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I had used Generali before and it recently forwarded me to their website. They were not directly affiliated with the travel company or cruise line I was using. Many times when people make a claim, the insurance people only cover a portion or segment that people had purchased with them. By going with a third party company such as CSA or Generali, it allows us to be covered if we left our house two days ahead of time before a scheduled tour. Whereas if we purchased the insurance from the tour company, it wouldn’t start till when we actually joined the tour. It wasn’t the hugest savings but it was acceptable based on the ease of selection in their website as well as them being a third party. That was why I went there in the first place, and certainly why I have continued.

When you go online, you can pull up the insurance policy at Generali, which is like 14 pages long. The policy itself is not very user-friendly. There are wordings that say, "If it could not have been prevented." It seems as though the the wordage has a way out as if they didn’t want to cover somebody at some point. I called one time and asked if I would be covered if I broke my leg and I had to come back to the country, and my partner and I wanted to travel back to the country to have my leg put in a cast and corrected. They said I'd be covered, but it didn’t seem like it would have been covered after reading the actual policy myself. If there’s a paraphrase or a one-page explanation that could be done, it would be great.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Generali Global Assistance met my needs and purchasing insurance from them was easy. We were going to Florida where there are always hurricanes and on another time, we were going to Tennessee. We were looking at several months out and not knowing what could happen between now and then, so I looked at proper deals online. I saw Generali and I picked the policy that the cancellation was available. I would suggest others looking at a long time out to get an insurance since they'll never know what life is going to deal them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We appreciate your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Generali is a well-recognized company and their price compared to other places was a little below average. My experience overall was very professional, expedited and swift. I submitted a claim online and they made a very speedy response by email. They also had a very easy questionnaire to fill out and it was not very cumbersome.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

VRBO/HOMEAWAY HOMEOWNERS BE AWARE YOU ARE NOT PROTECTED BY THE CSA POLICY!!! I had a renter who damages the sofa, walls, doors and other stuff in my house in my rental home. They had purchased the $99 CSA Policy through VRBO. So I immediately filed a claim with CSA and reported the damages to this insurance company. The renter denied doing the damage, so the claim was denied. I asked the CSA rep - "Do you think a renter would admit that they damaged things?" Her response was if it was deliberate, CSA wouldn't cover the claim in that case either.

So I called the person who rented the house and talked to them myself. The renter told me that they paid the insurance for these kinds of accidents and they did not close the case. So I told him if he is willing to help me to reopen the case, and he said, "Yes. I will send email to the CSA to reopen the case". But this insurance company did not open the case. They didn't even connect me to tell me why they are not opening my case. This is their reason to not help you: "The Renter Denied Doing The Damage So We Can't Help You & We Close You Case - That's Mean You Are ** up - We Will Not Help You." CSA, is "NOT" keeping its promises! In their Mission & Value statements, they are talking about "commitment to proving that we can live up to the standards, they set for themselves."

Homeowners BEWARE, They cannot commit to their own promises so how they can help you as homeowners? Do you think this company is trustable? Not At All. I will not be quiet and I will do whatever in my power to show people that CSA's failed its promises, I will go to the news - I will share in social media - I will share with homeowners newspapers. This message is for you CSA: When you don't care about me as people, I will not care about you!

Generali Global Assistance response

We are sorry to hear about your negative experience and the circumstances surrounding your claim. We take customer service and the claims review process seriously and want customers to understand the coverage details of our plans. Our dedicated claims team is currently reviewing your case and will respond with additional information regarding a determination. If you have additional questions or concerns in the meantime, please reach out to us at (800) 348-9505 or via email at csa@csatravelprotection.com.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

A referral from a family member led me to Generali Global Assistance. I was happy with what I heard about and went with it. When I got the insurance, the person I talked to was very helpful. I was doing it from my cellphone from a hospital and she made it extremely simple. Generali is worth the peace of mind. If you're worried about your investment for your travel package, consider these people.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive feedback! We appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us. We value and welcome the input of all of our customers in order to ensure the best possible service to all.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Generali's website is easy to use and easy to put the claim in. But printing a copy of the claim didn't print right on my Windows 10 machine. I have an HP Envy printer and it did not come out right. On the other hand, their customer service was courteous. But with all the disasters from the hurricanes and all, everybody's travels have been screwed up and they had an awful lot of claims and they were overwhelmed. I could understand that but I still have my own claim and I wanted it acted upon.

My claim was submitted in the middle of September and it took until the end of November before it was assigned to an adjuster. Generali has been extremely slow in handling the claim. They initially rejected it and they did not consider everything that they should have and looked at it correctly. They had told me it's going to be 40 days but it's over two months and the claim is still active. The adjuster went back and we were getting more information. VacationsToGo recommended Generali with the CSA Travel and we used CSA before, but I'm probably not going to go with Generali in the future and I'm going to use my own insurance company USAA.

Generali Global Assistance response

We’re sorry to hear about your negative experience and apologize for not meeting your expectations. We take customer service and the claims review process seriously and our goal is to process claims within two weeks from the time that they're received. Unfortunately, due to the record hurricane activity in 2017, and in order to provide a fair, equitable and thorough process for all customers, some claims were delayed. Please reach out to us at (800) 348-9505 or via email at csa@csatravelprotection.com if you have additional concerns.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

I always purchase a travel insurance when I travel overseas. The ones that we were looking at were so expensive but they were also not what we were wanting. It was a secondary insurance and we wanted a regular insurance. Between the price point that we are wanting to spend along with everything that it covered, we went with Generali. We made a claim which we did online. However, I was confused by some stuff because what happened was we ended up being delayed for more than 3 hours. I didn't understand because we never got compensated for that. Is it only if you spend anything in those 12 hours? We lost half a day of work. They paid for our taxi cab but that was the only thing that was paid for with the insurance.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

A friend of mine is in the insurance business and when I asked him how I can get some evac insurance for my kids going to Europe, he told me to call Generali Global Assistance. Buying policies from them isn't hard and I only got confused a little bit when they changed names between the last time I used them three years ago and this time. Other than that, their online interface worked out well and I could find what I needed. I wasn’t looking for trip interruption insurance and I was able to exclude that relatively easily. I’ll probably call them again in a couple of years when the kids go somewhere else. And I also tell others to go to Generali's website and see if they could find what they need.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

We didn’t have a lot of dealings with Generali's customer service, but what we had was good. We submitted a claim online for a trip cancellation, and the website was effective and easy to use. Their prices were also competitive. We would definitely recommend them and we would do business with them again.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I'm a physician and things happen. There are times when I can't travel because I have to do a liver transplant and I have to cancel. So, I buy travel insurance to protect myself and since I pay a lot of money upfront. I spoke to my carrier and Generali was cheaper than others. It also seemed like a good thing so I bought their insurance. Their people have also been helpful to me. They responded promptly with the information I needed and put the policy into place quickly for me. I would tell others to take a look at Generali and shop around.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I always purchase insurance when I travel to ensure the cost against what happens. I did some research on InsureMyTrip and decided that Generali was the way to go. It's good enough for me, and I've recommended them.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

We purchased travel insurance through HomeAway with CSA Travel Protection for a vacation rental property in Utah. Our flights were canceled due to the 12/17/17 power outage at the Atlanta Airport. We were unable to rebook flights and as a result we were forced to cancel the trip. We submitted a request for a refund of the vacation rental due CSA's allowed event of a "Trip cancellation as a result of Common Carrier delays and/or cancellations resulting from adverse weather, mechanical breakdown of the aircraft."

We believed that this event certainly qualifies as a mechanical event. However, CSA denies that loss of electrical power at an airport = mechanical event. While I was informed that I could file a claim, an agent told me that it would be denied. So when over 1000 flights are canceled due to a catastrophic event such as this, CSA finds a way to deny any coverage. This company is fraudulent and we are willing to sue them.

Generali Global Assistance response

We’re sorry you had to cancel your trip and apologize for not meeting your expectations. We take customer service and the claims review process seriously and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy provided during purchase, and contacting (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com with additional questions. The plan purchased includes nearly 20 covered events under which we provide coverage if forced to cancel your trip. The plan is unfortunately unable to provide coverage for every event that causes you to cancel. To ensure something specific is covered, feel free to ask before you purchase the policy. Please reach out at the number or email provided above if you have additional concerns.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I was going on a trip and was looking for travel insurance. We’d used CSA Travel Protection before, so we went back to their website and it redirected us to Generali. The coverages were typical, but I'd had good luck before with CSA’s claim service and so I'd hoped I’d have the same with Generali. The only experience that I had was we had a claim to make because of a delay. I submitted the paperwork, they processed the claim really quickly and I got my payment quickly. They're competitively priced and easy to work with.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Purchased CANCEL FOR ANY REASON travel insurance thru CSA. No medical documentation needed. Got critically ill, cancelled, filed claim, took 79 days to get our payment. Told “lots of claims, hurricanes, etc”. They’re an insurance company, should staff for disasters. Terrible claim turnaround time. Will never purchase insurance with them again.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim and for not meeting your expectations. We take customer service and the claims review process very seriously and strive to provide a fair, equitable and timely process for all customers. We are pleased that your claim has been resolved and regret the delay during the recent record hurricane season. If you have any further questions, please reach out to us at (800) 348-9505 or via email at csa@csatravelprotection.com.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

We went on an expensive trip and knowing that things happen, we needed a travel insurance. The agents told me about Generali and we ended up purchasing the policy from them online. Everything that I did was positive because we had nothing to claim, fortunately.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I was going to a third world country and I wanted to make sure I could get home. I went online at Generali to buy insurance, though it was probably a very naive purchase. But you have to have it because you’d be traveling without any health insurance if you don’t purchase it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

We were going to take the family to the Florida Keys in March 2018. We made reservations at Hawk Cay. We purchased the CSA Travel Protection through Experience. We received a note with policy number saying we had 10 days to cancel. I assumed (first mistake) that we would receive their policy in the mail to review. We didn't and I forgot. Then hurricane Irma hit. We thought we would be fine since it wasn’t till March 2018. Next on October 17, 2017 we received a cancellation notice from Hawk Cay that due to hurricane Irma they still would not be operational in March 2018. Hawk Cay sent a refund with three weeks. We immediately put in a claim to seek reimbursement (close to 3000 dollars). We waited to hear. My daughter in law received a denial response (she had different policy with CSA) beyond 30 days and since trip was not till March 2018 period not covered.

I did receive a survey from CSA on my experience with claims. Mind you I personally have received nothing but the survey request. As I said, I had different claim and policy number. Hurricane Irma was declared a Emergency by the President. It was a single event. Within 30 days our hotel won’t be operational, plus they won’t be in operation until maybe June 2018. If this insurance does not cover a single event disaster then why bother with it. Now that I have read reviews, it appears this company doesn’t cover much. I would never recommend this company. I, personally feel they should be required to provide customer with a copy of their policy and then give 10 days cancellation. This will be my recommendation to the California Attorney’s Generals Office, as well as, Better Business Bureau and the Insurance Commissioner. Save your money or check your credit card company for travel insurance. This insurance obviously deserves the reviews of 1.

Generali Global Assistance response

We’re sorry to hear about your trip cancellation and apologize for not meeting your expectations. The customer service and claims review process is very important and we stress that you review the coverage details of our plans via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contact us at (800) 348-9505 or via email at csa@csatravelprotection.com with any additional questions you may have. Also, we offer a free look back period with all of our plans to allow customers to cancel their policies within a designated period as long as they haven't already left on their trip or filed a claim. You purchased a plan that includes approximately 20 different covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to cancel your trip. The plan is unfortunately unable to provide coverage for every event that might cause you to cancel. If there is something specific that you want to be sure is covered, feel free to ask about it before you purchase the policy. We’re glad to discuss further at the number or email provided above if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

We were going to Paris, London, and Ireland, and I was on site for tours and Generali popped up. They had a better price compared to other companies that I had looked at. So, I immediately went ahead and got their insurance. And then, I told my daughter, and she and her husband got it as well. We had some issues going on at home because we had family members who weren’t doing too well, and it was an expensive trip. So we wanted to make sure that if someone got ill, we wouldn’t lose our money.

I started out trying to purchase the insurance online. There was something that I wanted to know that wasn’t on there. I called and somebody helped me and answered all my questions. I’m not a risk taker, so having a travel insurance was valuable. Other people said it was a waste of money, but it just depends on your personality and your funds. I saved a long time for that money so I wasn’t willing to lose it. I definitely would recommend Generali because of their price and their people was very nice and helpful.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I was getting a good price and good coverage at the same time so I went with Generali Global Assistance for my travel insurance. My experience with them was perfectly fine, though I did not have to use it. So far, so good.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us. We're glad to hear that there were no issues with your trip.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I used Generali for when I went to Mexico and they were great. I got everything I needed right away. I signed up for it and I paid $80 for a three-day trip and then I had the paperwork within a couple of hours. The first guy I got didn't really understand what I was looking for and then I got another guy who knew everything I needed to know. I mean he's just "Okay. We'll do this. We'll do this." I was going with a group and I told them where I was going, Cedros Island. Their rep looked it up and he found out what group I was going to. Within 20 minutes I was done with him and two hours later I had everything in my email. It was real good. I only had them once and I'll be using them again this year. I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

We purchased travel insurance protection with CSA travel insurance and the runaround we received when our mother became ill and could not go on the trip. We work in the travel industry and always buy travel protection. The one time that we needed to file a claim, we got the runaround. Please do not buy any insurance through this company. Our agent James said he would handle the claim and we got the same excuse week after week. He is a poor excuse of an employee and do yourself a favor, avoid this company on your insurance needs.

Generali Global Assistance response

We’re sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip and apologize for not meeting your expectations. We also offer a free look back period with all of our plans to allow customers to cancel their policies within a designated period as long as they haven't already left on their trip or filed a claim. Our goal is to process claims within two weeks from the time that they're received, however, some cases can take longer to resolve. Due to an unusual increase in the number of claims received during the month of October, processing was impacted somewhat. We're pleased to advise that your claim was finalized within 1 week after being assigned and you should have received an email to your address on file from a dedicated team member. Please reach out to us at the number or email provided above if you have any additional questions or concerns. The plan you purchased includes approximately 20 different covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to cancel your trip. The plan is unfortunately unable to provide coverage for every event that might cause you to cancel. We take customer service and the claims review process very seriously and cannot stress enough that it is important to review the coverage details of our plans via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contact us at (800) 348-9505 or via email at csa@csatravelprotection.com with any additional questions you may have.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I really don't have time and energy to explain the long story here. Just keep in mind this is a total rip off and scam. Don't waste your money on CSA Travel insurance as they don't cover a **. Even if you had to cancel your trip due to a family emergency, which was actually what my case was.

Generali Global Assistance response

We’re sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip and apologize for not meeting your expectations. We take customer service and the claims review process very seriously and cannot stress enough that it is important to review the coverage details of our plans via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contact us at (800) 348-9505 or via email at csa@csatravelprotection.com with any additional questions you may have. We also offer a free look back period with all of our plans to allow customers to cancel their policies within a designated period as long as they haven't already left on their trip or filed a claim. The plan you purchased includes approximately 20 different covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to cancel your trip. The plan is unfortunately unable to provide coverage for every event that might cause you to cancel. If there is something specific that you want to be sure is covered, feel free to ask about it before you purchase the policy. Please reach out to us at the number or email provided above if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I purchased the most expensive pkg they had to cover any unforeseen events. Due to France airport delays we missed our connection and the boarding of the cruise. We had to pay for a hotel plus additional expenses, which should have been covered. I tried calling the company from Venice, and Generali Global's system would ring and hang up. We couldn't contact anyone for help. Back from our trip, we had to send all our paperwork to have someone file a claim for us. We filed in September and this is Dec 4, no one contacted us. We got a letter in the mail that said even though our trip was interrupted due to carrier, they were denying our claim. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY, IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO REACH THEM AND THEY WILL KEEP GIVING YOU THE RUNAROUND. They will not pay you.

Generali Global Assistance response

We’re sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip and apologize for not meeting your expectations. We take customer service and the claims review process very seriously and cannot stress enough that it is important to review the coverage details of our plans via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase. We also offer a free look back period with all of our plans to allow customers to cancel their policies within a designated period as long as they haven't already left on their trip or filed a claim. The plan you purchased includes approximately 20 different covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to cancel your trip. The plan is unfortunately unable to provide coverage for every event that might cause you to cancel. If there is something specific that you want to be sure is covered, feel free to ask about it before you purchase the policy. Please reach out to us at the number or email provided above if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

It was nice to have the travel insurance from Generali. We haven't been able to use it, but it was a good peace of mind. We went to Alaska and it covered up most of what was going to be involved in our trip. The weather wasn't really good when we left. So, we didn't know if we will get there the day we were supposed to. But everything worked out good. I'd recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us. We're glad to hear that their were no issues with your trip,

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I was going on a vacation overseas and initially I got a travel insurance from a company bought out by Generali. They have good reviews on the internet. Generali's process was 100% online. The very first time I used them I called to make sure that they were legitimate. And after that experience I just go online. Their website is very user-friendly, very easy to navigate, gives me everything I need to know right up front and makes the decision process really easy. I have no problems recommending a friend Generali travel insurance. I’ve been using them for probably for 10 years. So I reuse the same service every year.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us. Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers.

Generali Global Assistance Company Information

www.generalitravelinsurance.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use