Call toll free
4.13/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Generali Global Assistance now allows you to Travel Smarter™. As a full-service travel insurance and assistance provider, Generali offers three distinct plans built to serve the diverse needs of today’s traveler. Compare and contrast plan options online on their new website and easily check plan coverages including trip cancellation, baggage loss, medical evacuation and more.

358 Generali Global Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 20, 2019

Didn't get help when called the emergency number while on our trip, was told to call the third party we booked through. After filing a claim, it was denied, received standard emails, never answers to questions. Made several phone calls for help always a voice mail, STILL WAITING ON A RETURN CALL from the adjuster and the supervisor! Going on 3 weeks now. First time to purchase through them and will be last!

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about your negative experience and apologize for not meeting your expectations. Our goal is to provide a prompt and courteous claim experience to all of our customers. The plan you purchased includes a variety of covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to incur additional trip costs. Unfortunately exclusions apply to your coverage. A dedicated team member will be getting back with you soon to provide further clarification.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Had a long planned month in Florida. Vacation canceled due to a family member illness. We decided to protect our vacation with travel insurance. It’s a good thing we did because the $162.00 we paid for the policy protected us from a $3,600.00 loss. What was amazing was the fact that General Global Insurance responded to our claim so quickly and returned a refund immediately. Thank you!

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and hope you will consider us again for your next trip!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 11, 2019

My wife and I purchased airline tickets and travel insurance on the on the same transaction on 1/24/2019. We were to leave on 1/31/2019 and return on 2/12/2109. On the following Monday 1/28/2019 she had a scheduled doctor appointment. The doctor sent us to the ER and she was hospitalized for a week. The insurance denied our claim because her symptoms started before the policy was started. We did not know she had pneumonia because of shortness of breath. Beware of purchasing a policy if you have any symptoms you might be hospitalized for.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your experience, and for not meeting your expectations. We want our customers to choose the correct policy to fit their needs and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting us with additional questions. The plan you purchased includes a variety of covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to cancel your trip, but unfortunately it does not include illnesses that commence before coverage begins.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I always use travel insurance. Previously, I was going with Travel Select as they're a Wisconsin brand but on this one trip, I decided I'd use Generali Global Assistance as they are the group that Vacations To Go uses. I felt confident since Vacations To Go is the largest travel agency in the country. Based on my experience, I'd definitely recommend them and I plan on using them again.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I called Generali when I purchased the travel insurance and asked a couple of questions. Their price is considerably less than the others. I would recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value your feedback and hope you will consider us again for your next trip!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generali Global Assistance?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I looked for travel insurance and top-rated companies and Generali Global Assistance was one of several. I examined the policy and did a comparison, and I chose them. I did a comparative analysis of benefits versus price. I’ve used Generali Global Assistance twice -- once when I went to Russia, and when we went to England.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I required insurance for my travel so when I travelled last year, I looked around and found Generali's pricing competitive and I picked it up. It was a group program. I wanted to check if everything was covered based on the expectations of the tour I was going on and their customer service answered my questions. I traveled and came back. I didn’t need it, so that was good news.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and are glad to hear that there were no issues with your trip.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I purchased Generali travel insurance for the delays and cancellation. When I purchased it, they just automatically said that this is what they charge and I wasn't able to compare products and pick the right policy for my budget. I've used them before on another trip that we booked to Mexico, and I didn’t have to contact them. Sometimes I think that I'm just giving my money away but Generali gives me a little bit of assurance that I'll get my money back or they'll help me out.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your review! We want our customers’ online interactions to be seamless and smooth. Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and hope you will consider us again for your next trip!

Rated with 1 starResolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

We arrived in Lima, Peru and learned that our flight to Cusco the next day was cancelled. The airline went bankrupt, and we found out that day. If we didn't make it to Cusco on time, our Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu (reserved five months earlier -- and the ENTIRE reason we purchased travel insurance) would be forfeited, with no way to reschedule. So we booked new flights, paid same day fare, and felt good because we'd paid for travel insurance. Until we learned that Generali's coverage was useless. We won't use them again, and encourage you to find a more trustworthy insurance company.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim, and for not meeting your expectations. We want our customers to choose the correct policy to fit their needs and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting us with additional questions. The plan you purchased includes a variety of covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to cancel your trip. Unfortunately it does not include coverage due to the airline's financial insolvency as it was not part of your coverage.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I started using Generali two years ago. I've gone with them considering the coverage and the cost of their travel insurance. Their customer service was very efficient when I called. I asked questions and the people were very nice and they seem to know their product. When I asked them to send me things, they did.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Rated with 1 starResolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I am not commenting on Trivago but on CSA travel insurance. If you consider buying it, don't!!! I did, $140.00 worth because they assured me I would receive up to $600.00 if my job ended early. It did by 3 weeks and now they tell me it is only good if I cancel within 24 hours of making the reservation!! Just an alert, don't take their word or their insurance!!

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim and apologize for not meeting your expectations. We want our customers to choose the correct policy to fit their needs and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting us with additional questions. The plan you purchased includes a variety of covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to cancel your trip. Unfortunately your plan was unable to provide coverage for trip interruption as it was not included as part of your coverage. Had this coverage been included it would still not cover you in your case as temp employees and independent contractors are excluded.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

We were traveling to Europe and we did a search on the web for a travel insurance. My wife knew that it was something that we needed done. Generali had a much better plan than the other different companies I looked at. They were very good and I got all the information I needed.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

My sister and my nephew were here visiting from Greece, and my nephew got sick. I had to use my credit card to take him to urgent care. I'm still not done with the claim at Generali. I submitted a bunch of paperwork, and then they said to me," Oh, no. You have to submit these ones." And so, I'm kinda caught in the run-around. They also told me the paperwork needs to be submitted somewhere else. I submitted somewhere else, and I even took pictures of my sister's passport. I took picture of the invoice from the doctor and I submitted them all. Generali is not helping because it's still up in the air.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim, and for not meeting your expectations. Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. Your claim has been reviewed, and it has been determined that additional documentation is needed from the insured in order to process. A dedicated team member will be getting back with you soon. Please contact us if you have additional questions.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Generali came up when I booked my flight to Expedia and I bought travel insurance from them just to be on the safe side. I've had it before so, I decided to stay with them. I feel better and safer knowing that I'm covered with the insurance.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We’ve been on many, many cruises. When we first started cruising, my husband’s dad died. We didn’t have insurance then and it was quite expensive to get back. So, we decided to take out a travel insurance when we go. We’ve been taking it out through CSA Travel and we’ve been doing it for years. Generali Global Assistance is the carrier that CSA Travel uses. Their rates seem reasonable for the coverage that we want. So far, we’re just hanging out hoping that if we ever have to use them, they would come through for us. I would recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Do NOT purchase the travel protection insurance from this company. We contacted the company to tell them we would need a refund for the condo we rented due to a tragic death in our family. Our son’s girlfriend (who was going to travel with us) died. The people I spoke with were the most unsympathetic and uncaring people I’ve ever encountered. They insisted on a death certificate. I explained that it would be extremely inappropriate and unacceptable to ask her family during their time of grieving for a death certificate. The company made certain to tell me that even if a death certificate was provided the policy does not cover a death due to a pre existing condition or death by suicide. The company didn’t care that we needed to plan and host a memorial service. If you cannot cancel a vacation due to a death what can you cancel for? Stay away from CSA Travel Protection. You will be wasting your money, time, and energy.

Generali Global Assistance response

We’re very sorry for your loss. We do take our customer service very seriously and we invite you to contact us privately to discuss the details of your coverage. Given the sensitivity of the circumstances, we do not believe that it is appropriate to provide any additional detail in this forum.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We used Generali Global for travel insurance when we were going on a very long trip with children and wanted to make sure we were taken care of. I emailed them to submit a claim and it was easy. If someone needed insurance, I would tell them to go for Generali Global and use it.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

The San Francisco Bay Area was blanketed in smoke from the Paradise City, California fire this past Thanksgiving holiday. I was due to fly out to visit my son. My son requested that I cancel my trip as he said the smoke was so bad that they could not see the sky. I am a 73 year old traveler that has survived double pneumonia and sepsis. Taking a trip to an area that was nationally designated as very hazardous to health is a valid reason for canceling my flight. This company has just informed me that it is not going to honor my claim. I had no way of knowing when the air would be safe to breathe.

Generali Global Assistance response

We apologize for your issue and not meeting your expectation. Unfortunately the JustFly policy you purchased doesn't include cancel for any reason coverage. Your fear of exacerbating a chronic condition isn't considered cancelling due to sickness or another covered event.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

It's always good and invaluable to have insurance when travelling. My friend who is a travel consultant told me she had used Generali previously, so I also went with them. When we were scheduled on our last cruise, we were going to San Juan but because of the storm that hit there, the boat wasn't going there so we cancelled our cruise. I then called Generali and they took all the information. It went very well, and I still have credits with Royal Caribbean.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

My experience with Generali Global Assistance was absolutely horrible. I've used them for years and I will never, ever, ever use them again. I had a really bad allergic reaction when I was traveling in Norway. I had to go by ambulance and then, I ended up in the hospital. I called them from emergency and they said there's nothing they could do because I didn't get a pre-approval. I was in the hospital for hours waiting for Generali to try to put things together, but they didn't really know what to do with me because most people that have insurance have a certificate and I didn't have one. They basically left the people in Norway and the doctors and nurses were flabbergasted. They couldn’t even believe how I can have insurance and be treated that way because I was calling to get a certificate not understanding.

By the time I got back home from traveling and by the time that I received a bill from Norway for the hospital, it was out of the 90 day period so I didn't even bother trying to file a claim although it is legitimate. Furthermore, they said that I had to file a claim with my primary insurance. I have a covered California plan in California and I know it doesn't cover me in Europe. In Norway, if you have a life insurance policy, you're covered if you're abroad. Whereas in United States, insurance is a joke and traveler's insurance on top of it. So, if I'm having an allergic reaction, it's impossible to get out of that situation approved.

It's a full scam because if you have legitimate claim, there shouldn't be a time period. There's no way I could've gotten the bill sooner. And everything I got was all in Norwegian. I got the bill due from Norway and I paid it, but I had to borrow money from my bank. And then, I got another bill from a collection agency saying that I owed them when I know I paid them. So, I'm still trying to see if I get another one from them because I don't know who to call because they may not be able to speak English. It's really a nightmare to be dealing with this. Thank God that the medical in most other countries is fair and reasonable. But I'm never, ever, ever going to recommend Generali.

Generali Global Assistance response
We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your experience, and for not meeting your expectations. We want our customers to choose the correct policy to fit their needs and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com with additional questions.

While we ask that claims be submitted within 90 days, you have a year to do so as outlined in your plan. You may call the number above for further clarification and to have the claim forms resent to you. You can also visit csaclaims.com for an online claim form.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

My travel agent recommended Generali as they would be more reliable than others if something happens. I felt that she had been out here for a while doing her job so I went by her recommendations. Also, I chose them based on their coverage and what they cover. I had a great experience with Generali. I would definitely recommend them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I had used Generali Global Assistance on a trip several years ago and I had a bit of a claim and they paid it. I went with Generali the second time when I got on a Road Scholar trip. Their trip insurance was cheaper than Road Scholar's. I've referred Generali to other people, and I told them it is a good place to go if they needed a travel insurance.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

My wife and I are at our early 70's, and we’re concerned that if something happens to us on a trip, we’ll make sure that we’re covered well with insurance. We looked at the options that were offered by each of the insurance companies, and then compared it to the premiums, and Generali came up on top. Then we had to file a claim where we had a bruised area, sprained ankle, and the doctor took an X-ray, which entailed a large charge, which will be covered. We submitted all the paperwork that they asked for and we have acknowledgement that they have accepted the claim. What little experience I’ve had with them, they’ve stood behind the policy and only for a few hundred dollars. I’m very pleased with them.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and are glad to hear that, although you had some medical issues during your trip, we were able to help.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Getting a travel insurance was a safe venture for reassurance just in case something happens. If you don’t get it, you regret not having it. I searched on the internet and because of the reviews, I signed up with Generali. I filed a claim for a trip cancellation when my wife, who was not traveling with me, required an urgent operation. They decided that it was a preexisting condition based on a very generalized vague and non-specific symptom that appeared months before the trip was even planned. They related it to her having cancer and denied the claim. It took a lot of measures and appeals but they just refused. Every business is in the business of making money. So, to that end, they were protecting their interests but they could have been understanding of the situation. I would advise friends not to work with Generali.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your claim and apologize for not meeting your expectations. We want our customers to choose the correct policy to fit their needs and stress the importance of reviewing your coverage details via the sample Description of Coverage/Insurance Policy that’s provided at the time of purchase, and contacting (800) 348-9505 or csa@csatravelprotection.com with additional questions. The plan you purchased includes a variety of covered events under which we can provide coverage if you are forced to cancel your trip. The plan is unfortunately unable to provide coverage due to medical treatment that was sought prior to coverage being in effect.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

We travel quite a bit and when we’re out of the country, we’re worried about medical expenses. I did a comparison with another company that I used years ago and I noticed that Generali's rate was lower and it looked like all the features were the same. I also checked their ratings and saw that it was highly rated. We purchased our travel insurance through their website, which is very user-friendly.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Generali's price was cheaper and I bought the insurance for just in case when I went on a trip to Panama. I did everything online and it was easy to choose the coverage that I wanted and the price that I could afford and to just do it. I got really prompt emails and then all the information I needed was really quick. I like that because I don't like to worry about it too much. I like to buy it and forget about it.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We appreciate your feedback and the time it took for you to share your experience.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I travel everywhere and I would like to be insured and protected. We went on a trip to India and I wanted to be sure there was not gonna be surprises. Generali had a couple of options and I read them and then choose what I thought was gonna fit for us. So far, I have been on a few trips. The one to India was a major trip and it was expensive. But, the insurance for my smaller trips has been reasonable. It's good when Generali shows everything that they protect. But it will be better to have some more explanations on some things just to be sure that people understand what they cover and what they don't. There are things that are not sufficient and for some people, it could be confusing.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I bought a company insurance policy in May. I found Generali Global Assistance on the internet, and I googled the reviews to see if there was any negative feedback. I rely heavily on that type of research and it appeared that they’d been in business for a while. I understood what the policy covers and not cover pre-existing conditions. It seemed like if I had a claim, they would pay out. I purchased it online and they sent me all the materials.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I went to AAA for travel insurance and they were a bit expensive, so I decided to go with Generali instead since I saw some decent reviews about them. They're a good company to consider if it's a good value for money. Their buying process was very easy too.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us. Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I always get a travel insurance and I was looking at different options and with Generali, I could buy the insurance right before I left instead of buying it when I bought my plane ticket. Most of it was online and then, I talked to their rep on the phone before I was done. It was a good experience with their rep. The cost might have been a hair higher than other places but not much. I would tell people about Generali if they asked. I had no bad experiences at all.

Generali Global Assistance Company Information