2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance

4.3/5 (67 ratings)

About Generali Global Assistance

Generali Global Assistance is a full-service travel insurance service provider that offers three distinct plans built to serve diverse needs. You can compare and contrast plan options and check out various coverages like trip cancellation, baggage loss, medical evacuation and more on the company’s website.

Pros

• Wide variety of services
  • Operates in 25+ countries
  • Offers Iris Identity Protection app

Cons

• Services can be expensive
  • Some services redundant/unnecessary

Bottom Line

Generali offers comprehensive coverage options for travel insurance, identity protection, cyber security, home care and more. It’s available in more than 25 countries, but its services can be expensive for some.

Top Generali Global Assistance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Very easy to apply online. It was a very straightforward process and they help explained all lines of the application. They are very highly rated by many more people than the rest...

Verified

Easy to work with and answered all my questions. I’ve never bought this much insurance before so the jury is still out. The size of the trip is unusual to us. We are hoping to giv...

What is Generali Global Assistance?

Generali Global Assistance is a travel insurance provider that offers a variety of care options and travel-related aid. Its overseas travel, online security and eldercare services include:

• Travel insurance: Protects against lost luggage, cancellation and medical emergency costs.
  • Vacation rental insurance: Provides comprehensive coverage for vacation rental properties.
  • Identity and cyber protection: Wards off online identity theft attempts.
  • Beneficiary companion: Provides care after the passing of a loved one.
  • Travel assistance: Helps with overseas language interpretation, medical assistance and more.
  • Travel risk management: Provides businesses with international travel assistance and risk mitigation.
  • ScamAssist: Helps prevent credit card fraud by rating the scam likelihood of virtual messages.
  • Home care: Partners policyholders with dedicated care advisors to help take care of loved ones at home.

How does Generali Global Assistance work?

Generali Global Assistance has a multinational presence, and its services are available in more than 25 countries.You can sign up for the Generali service of your choice by calling the company. After you speak with a representative to customize a protection plan to your needs, Generali offers the option to add on extra services.

Generali travel insurance costs

Generali doesn’t list prices on its website, but the cost of its travel insurance is based on your individual trip (as stated on its website, average travel insurance prices range from 4% to 12% of the total trip cost). The company offers three different plan levels: Standard, Preferred and Premium. You can request a demo before signing up for the service.

COVID-19 travel coverage

If you, a family member or a traveling companion are diagnosed with COVID-19 before or during your trip and you meet the requirements for coverage due to sickness, you can get trip cancellation, trip interruption, travel delay or medical, dental and emergency assistance/transportation coverage.

The company will also cover additional lodging expenses and a travel insurance extension if you’re required to isolate at your destination and your return is delayed.

Generali Global Assistance FAQ

How do you file a claim with Generali Global Assistance?
Visit the Generali website to submit your claim, which will be reviewed by a company representative.
What services other than travel insurance does Generali offer?
Generali offers various insurance, identity protection and care options, including home care, scam assistance, vacation rental insurance and beneficiary companion services.
Where is Generali available?
It’s available in 25+ countries across the globe. In the U.S., Generali has offices in San Diego, California, and Bethesda, Maryland.
Who owns Generali Global Assistance?
Generali Global Assistance is owned by Europ Assistance North America, Inc., which also owns companies like Trip Mate.

Is Generali Global Assistance worth it?

Generali Global Assistance might be worth it if you want extra protection against credit card or identity fraud when traveling or making online transactions. Most Generali customers find the company’s services helpful in ensuring security and safety during overseas travel and when working online.

Generali Global Assistance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generali Global Assistance?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

We were going on vacation in Turks and Caicos and the place required that we had travel insurance. When I did a search, Generali was one of the first ones that popped up that had all the criteria required. Turks and Caicos also recommended them in the top three companies to look at. The villa we stayed at also offered us information on the travel insurance and Generali was number one in their list of options. Overall, Generali came back as one of the top rated companies and that pushed me in that direction.

Generali was one of the better websites that allowed me to pick through different options. I had three tabs open on my browser with the different companies and I was toggling back and forth looking at who's got what. It was really difficult with some of the other companies because there were different options. Generali's website was the easiest to navigate. I just plugged it in and they immediately gave me the three different levels. I could see what I was getting, what it was going to cost me, and how they would different. That just made it really simple. I kept doing the searches on the company because you have no idea what you’re buying because you may not use it. But there were plenty of people who may have had to use it at one point in time.

I would have never considered using Generali if it wasn't for the pandemic and the requirement of the travel. But I found that maybe in the future, I would likely use travel insurance because when you go away and even though you have your own health insurance, it will only cover certain things. If you’re in a foreign country that has limited healthcare options, they may have to send you elsewhere. I read some horror stories of people who had something happen. Somebody had to have dental surgery and there was nobody there on the island to do it, so they had to send them somewhere else. That was covered. If it hadn't been covered, they would have had to pay upwards of $200,000 just to get transported. When I read the binder that came with what I got from Generali, I was surprised at how much stuff they covered. There were things you wouldn't even think of.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thanks Anthony = that is great to hear! Thanks for your business. Enjoy your trip!

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I've used Generali before. My mother was sick in the hospital and I had to postpone a trip. They gave me my money back. I was shocked because I've never used it before. You have to fill forms out and get doctors to fill forms. You have to show evidence and I get it because there are a lot of phonies out there. Recently, I was trying to get insurance that has primary medical. I went online, entered names, birth dates, dates of trip, where you're going, and how much you're spending on each person that you want to insure. It generates a number and you're either happy or not happy.

It's easy to fill out the forms. There are three or four choices of what you want. There's a list of a few products that you can choose from. Make sure you know what you're buying. You can't complain if you don't buy the correct product. I've done it enough times that I know what to look for and I'm fine with it. But there are some people that just take the cheapest product and for $20 or $30 more, you can get a better product. When you cut a trip short, they cover that if something were to happen and you have to go home. You can use it as a secondary insurance but if you can get it at a reasonable cost for primary, if something happens, you get reimbursed much quicker. The rates are really good too.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We appreciate your feedback and the time it took for you to share your experience.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

The second time we used Generali, my wife had a medical situation arise that appeared very serious and had to have an operation, and everything turned out fine. We provided them with the proof of the illness and they paid off on the insurance claim. It was very hassle-free so we've continued to use them because when we needed the insurance, it worked.

This year, we had to cancel. A lot of people did cancel some trips. We had bought the insurance and the refund process was a little bit confusing. I didn't know if we bought the insurance through the VRBO site. We called Generali and they said, "You got to call VRBO. It's got to be refunded through them." It was a little bit of a hassle. I called Generali and they said, "You got to get a refund through VRBO." We'd paid for one insurance and we needed a refund because we'd canceled that trip within the canceled time on VRBO. So, we got our money on the house back from VRBO, but we needed to get the insurance back 'cause we didn't use it. We got emails saying they'd refund our premium. But it turned out, somehow, the original debit as well as the credit, disappeared. We never did see a credit but we never did get charged for it. It was within a week or so after booking the house that we cancelled. Maybe they intercepted the original charge.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I found Generali on the internet when I did a search. I compared them to other insurance providers. I've had travel insurance before, and I thought their coverage and what they presented were the best for the travel that we were going to do. So then, I purchased the travel insurance from them. The whole process online was very simple. Then when COVID hit and I went back to them asking for a refund based on the fact that the insurance wasn’t necessary, they reacted positively and gave me a refund. I purchased travel insurance from them again for a trip that we're planning on taking in June because of their service and the way they handled everything.

When I was seeking my refund, I did speak with live people and they were very accommodating. They told me exactly what I needed to do in order to get the refund. Then when I had a little bit of delay in getting it, I spoke to them again and they pushed me in the right direction. It finally worked out. Right now, it looks like they're doing everything right. Generali seems to have a better selection of options than some other travel companies.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review Stephen! We value the feedback from our customers and appreciate the time it took for you to share your experience with us.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

We do a fair amount of international travel. If we do it with a tour company, they usually offer travel insurance, but it's at a high premium. So we've gone on internet and looked at different insurance companies. When you're looking for a price and you pull up a list, there are 20 insurance companies that will come up. Each one of them is gonna have their price and they range anywhere from $100 to $500 for a particular trip, so then you have to look at the small print. When we first did this a few years ago, we looked closely at Generali, and then from that point on, we decided to zero in on this company. We don't understand all the small print and the difference between one company and the other anyway. Generali was was not necessarily the cheapest, but it wasn't the most expensive either. It's the one we felt the most comfortable with.

We've used them five times and purchasing it is straightforward. It's very simple for us because we're used to it, so we know that we have to have the invoice for the trip and flight plans. If it's through a travel company, we need to have that invoice number and a copy of the invoice. This last year we've had a couple of trips that got cancelled because of the COVID. We simply called them up, referenced the trip that we were referring to and then got back to them and let them know that it was rescheduled for 2021. In two cases, there was a premium increase and I argued with this. “How can you give me an increase? We didn't do anything.” However, I understand inflation and how that works. There's also more of a risk going forward because of the uncertainty of international travel.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your review and feedback! We understand that while your trip may not have changed, you may be buying insurance coverage further in advance, which could result in a different insurance premium. We wish you safe travels!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I would highly recommend Generali. Everything was done online and my experience was very easy and quite inexpensive. I've used them three times before in my travels as well.

Generali Global Assistance response

Hello Maureen. Thanks so much for your review and your loyalty! We are so thankful to have you as a customer. Happy Travels!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

Having travel insurance is important given the current climate. Everything was moving so fast, so I didn't want to be stuck without one to have my travel reimbursed. What insurance companies should do though is if you don’t use it, they should give you a percentage of it back. That would make people more inclined to get insurance. If it weren’t for the pandemic, I would not be buying travel insurance.

Generali Global Assistance response

Hello Antonio. Thanks for your business and your feedback. There are parts of your plan that are available for use now - including concierge service. You can find more about that https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/travel-resources/services

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I got travel insurance online and it was easy as well as cost-effective.

Generali Global Assistance response

That's great to hear Ashley! We're happy to have you as a customer. Please visit https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/travel-resources/services to read up on your coverages and to learn more about Concierge Services which are available to you now.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

We were traveling outside of the country, and with the COVID climate, I thought having travel insurance would be important in case anything happened to us. We wanted to make sure we had coverage if anybody got sick on the trip and needed to be flown back to the US. When I bought the policy, there was an issue with the website and I clicked to pay, and it didn't process. The screen popped up again and I clicked it so I ended up buying two policies. It took Generali forever to refund me the second policy, but I got it back.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

Once we have decided we want a travel insurance the first time, I was looking at different websites and different companies. And Generali was the best one. We've been happy with it.

That's great to hear Antoni. Thanks for choosing to #TravelSmarter