2.3/5 (998 ratings)

About Trip Mate Insurance

Trip Mate Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trip Mate Insurance?

Original review: June 29, 2022

We booked a Trip with Sandals…Sandals recommend Trip Mate insurance….We had to cancel the trip due to the fact that I have Cancer…All the documents were sent to trip mate verifying my Cancer…The documents were sent on May 12….it is now the End of June. I have not received any payment….Sandals should be ashamed of them selfs for recommending Trip Mate….It’s bad enough I have Cancer….to make matters worse…I must have more aggravation….I don’t understand why a big Company like Sandals would use a insurance Company that is not reputable…I am very upset in this matter Sandals does not seem to care..even though they are the Company that recommends Tripmate….Shame on you Sandals..

Original review: June 22, 2022

Returning from 2022 spring break in Cancun with 15+ members of our family. Missed connection in Dallas because customs was overwhelmed with spring breakers and travelers trying to get to South By Southwest in Austin taking place at the same time. Next available flight home was three days later so we rented a van and drove. 12 hours and $2,000+ dollars later, we arrived back home. Filed a claim to recover the addition rental van costs (rental and fuel). After months of waiting, Trip Mate rejected the claim stating the cause didn’t qualify as a reimbursable claim when by their own definition in the contract, it did qualify. Exceptionally poor customer service and communications trying to work through the issue. Don’t waste your time with this product and the people. They are scammers!

Original review: May 25, 2022

Before the pandemic TripMates was super slow but would eventually pay many claims. Since the pandemic they are to be avoided. I've obtained and uploaded 30+ documents in filing my claim. The claim was received several weeks ago and I was told that I'd receive a claim number shortly (haven't received) and that a decision on my claim would be made within 10 days (nothing there either). The people you reach on the phone (after hours on hold) are pleasant and tell you positive things but they are not the claims people. The claims people will string you along for month after month wanting more and more documentation. Don't waste your time and energy with this company that will find a reason to deny every claim.

Original review: May 11, 2022

They will not pay you no matter how reasonable your claim is. If you miss your flight due to an illness it's almost impossible for you to get your payment. They will ask for 1000 + 1 documents from you and find a way to denied your claim.

Original review: April 11, 2022

Booked a flight for Dec 2021 in Onetravel.com and insured it by TRIPMATE TRAVEL PROTECTION PLAN that was offered in the same website. Canceled trip due to Covid positive family member and claimed for refund. Tripmate issued a "e-check" that was not useable in Canada. I took the check to bank and they told me it is "Fraudulent", check did not have issuing party info on it as per bank staff. Contacted Tripmate and they told they are going to issue "paper check" and right away they cancelled the e-check on Dec 12. Since then they are not answering and I have not received the Paper Check.

Original review: March 23, 2022

We were on a trip recently and I've never bought Trip Mate but my agents recommended them as a norm. I went with another company but gave it a try. NEVER AGAIN..In the end I got corporate involved and they helped me but the frustration of sending in documentation over and over again and not telling me they got it...the miscommunication and not being able to connect with management is horrible..In the end though I did get the claim paid but they have to fix the customer service issue.

Original review: March 2, 2022

I was supposed to take a trip to Russia. Russia is now at war with the Ukraine. Trip Mate does not include war as a valid reason to cancel and get a refund. NB: Every review that I have read here has 1 star so not sure why the heading for Trip Mate shows 4 stars.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

Went to Cancun Mexico for our wedding and got travel insurance through Trip Mate. We understood that if our trip was delayed by 6hour we would get a full refund. Well, we tested positive for COVID the day before our flight which meant we had to cancel our flights because we could not fly back into the US with a positive result and had to quarantine. We finally had to take an alternate route/flight home. We paid over $6000 for our honeymoon and additional costs for getting quarantined and flights home. We were sent $400 after we provided proof of the positive COVID tests and flight Cancellations. This company does not stand up to what it says. I wouldn’t trust this company to insure my kid's tricycle.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

I purchased insurance with Tripmate. I had to have emergency surgery so needless to say, I had to cancel my trip. This process started in September of 2021. I submitted all of the required documentation. It is now February of 2022 and they have still not issued my refund of over $400.00.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

Antiqua changed their entry restrictions 8 days prior to our departure and we had to cancel the trip. Since we were within 30 days of arrival, and per Sandals policy, we were only able to get 50% of our money back. Not to worry! We have travel insurance that will reimburse us like they said they would! Like almost everyone else here I found out too late that Trip Mate doesn't refund a claim. They only send you travel vouchers. The "For any reason, at any time" tagline is a sham, and represents misleading marketing tactics at best. At worst it's fraudulent.

I called Sandals to let them know who is representing their brand and have a complaint filed with their customer service department, but I don't think it will do any good. I've also let them know they lost a customer for life. Ultimately the only way to combat this type of practice is to dispute the charges directly from Sandals. I've also filed a claim with the BBB, Bureau of Consumer Protection, and working to educate as many other people as I can.

Original review: June 17, 2021

I got Trip Mate for free when booking my travel with Beaches Resort in Jamaica. We had a claim and began to process it, the amount of info and very personal information to file the claim was awful. We also purchased Allianz insurance because we have used it in the past and they are so much better and thorough. I would never purchase Trip Mate insurance. I am a bit surprised that they are allowed to ask for the info needed to file a claim.

Original review: May 5, 2021

Contacted Trip Mate who denied our request for a refund even though The Greece border has been closed to tourists. I paid extra money for travel insurance last year just in case this happened and now Trip Mate flat out denied my request! How can they deny a request when the government shut down travel and they are an travel insurance company!

Original review: April 18, 2021

My wife and I scheduled a flight to the Philippine islands. The govt restricted incoming flights, require a 14 day quarantine in a hotel of their choice. Mom in law traveling with us is restricted from leaving the home after quarantine. Only there for two weeks, not worth it. Trip Mate refused refund twice. CheapoAir came through and refunded us. Inflexible, hard to reach, will not refer for future to my family who travels a lot! Thank you CheapoAir!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I’ve been dealing WITH Trip Mate since March 2020. Till February 8th 2021 constant I might add. Anyway good news for you all (I do hope all). I ran into an acquaintance yesterday 2/10/2021. He said call the airline you were booked with. LO AND BEHOLD! I called United. 5 minute call and all was resolved!! You do not need to go through tripmate! The airline can see you never went on the flight and you have a credit with them. I hope this helps! Like I said. Wasted too many days/hours with trip mate. And resolved in 5 minutes. I’d love to know how you make out.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

2020, what a year, right? 2020 was the year we found out what everyone was made of. Politicians, people, and companies. My wife and I booked a trip to a Writers Conference in 2020. We booked it when Covid was just starting, but didn't seem like it was going to last through the entire year, and the trip was late in the year that we thought it would be good. So, for the first time, we decided to buy trip insurance. We looked it over, and it seemed like if something went wrong, we could fall on the insurance.

We were wrong. We booked through Priceline, and the "insurance" was through a place called Trip Mate through the Priceline website. Well, it turned out the conference was canceled. We were able to get our money back on the conference and the hotel we book. However, when we tried to submit a claim for airfare, which was a bit complicated to figure out how to do so, we were denied. The truth comes out. Trip Mate is a joke, their insurance company is a scam, and they will not give you your money back. I'm extremely disappointed in the company, and disappointed with Priceline for recommending them. I plan to NEVER use Priceline or Trip Mate ever again, and will tell everyone to avoid them. 0/5 Stars. Everyone avoid. It is a SCAM!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

TripMate deserves zero stars. Customer service is absolutely inexistent, they will not refund your money. Coronavirus has exposed its shady scheme. I submitted a claim in March 2020 and it's been 10 months without any response. They have to pay for this.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

This is my third time booking a trip with the Trip Mate I am canceling my son's trip because Explorica is not sure if they’re even going to go on the trip on the schedule date. My son has to be at his military training three days after he returns, due to the pandemic I’m not sure if he would have to quarantine when he gets back or if he goes to Spain or France if they will detain the travelers and he might not make it back on time. I purchased the travel cancel for any reason insurance all three times. They are not giving me my full refund because they said it’s not a covered reason. This is cancel for any reason...Somebody need investigate this company because they are tricking travelers into purchasing this fraudulent insurance. Brad Finkle is a the ambassador/CEO.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

If there were zero stars that's what I would rate that. We are in the midst of a GLOBAL PANDEMIC. We obviously booked our trip not knowing this would be an issue. We had to cancel since we are not able to meet the quarantine requirements and TripMate is not issuing any refund. Horrible customer service and STEALING money.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2021

My wife and I cancelled a trip in March of 2020 due to Covid risk to our health. (The trip organizer actually cancelled 2 days later.) We filed a claim. They do not answer the phone, so your only source of information is an online claim status system. Nothing happened for months and then the status system said they had sent a request for more information. We finally got it over a month later. Then they decided against us before receiving our information response. Then the online status said they had sent a letter of explanation. Never received until I repeatedly asked them to resend. Now they have denied us again, said they sent a letter of explanation, and almost a month later, we still do not have it.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

While traveling oversea two months ago. I subscribed a travel policy insurance with this company. My flight was delayed for two consecutive days leaving the USA.. I finally traveled and went back in the USA.. I contacted them and was asked to submit all details of my delayed trip which I did. After 10 days they wrote to me and asking me to write to the airlines company so they can justify to them why their aircraft didn't travel during the two days. (After numerous emails exchange with the airlines company that I sent to them) they refused to compensate me.

The so-called examiners of Trip mate aren't doing anything to investigate your claim.. Just buying time to pretend that they are working on your claim. Learn from my experience with this CON-TRAVEL INSURANCE COMPANY called TRIP MATE and Stay away from it. I am preventing you to be their next victim. Do yourself a favor. Find another insurance travel company.... I wish this review had less than one star because they deserve NOTHING.. I am also writing to BBB about this company..

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

Our first big purchase and investment that we dreamed of for our 15th anniversary vacation. We purchased the vacation insurance with the recommendation of Sandals Resort. Sandals resort I have no quarrel with, they returned all money that was given to them in advance because that’s what a real company does when a consumer doesn’t use a product or wants to return something that isn’t received, or used. $3,500 was spent on airplane tickets that we haven’t received or used in any way because we canceled the trip due to my injury back in March. I haven’t worked since. I have been on crutches and in a cast for three times. I just had surgery at the beginning of September and now I’ll be in cast till the end of September.

Our vacation was set for 9/3/20. I’ll be rehabbing till the end of the 2020 year and won’t get back to work till 2021. With all that time lost on the job we won’t be going on vacation for another couple of years. I have looked this company up online and see all kinds of complaints due to the coronavirus travel restrictions and everyone cancelled their vacations. Why haven’t they got in trouble for fraudulent business practices? Why are they getting away taking people’s hard earned money and nothing’s being done about it. So many complaints and no compliments. Shut them down! Selling a product and using loopholes to ripoff the consumers is not how business should be done.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I sent in all the info from my electrocardiologist that I needed to have an ablation, my heart was beating 180 beats pr min; dr said I need to have procedure done so I cancelled my trip, sent in all the info and am still waiting for a refund 520.00. This is since Mar 2020. This is how many months that I have been waiting 7 months and I believe this is unacceptable..Why would I encourage anyone to purchase ins if we have to continue to call them and ask where and when I will see my claim processed. I believe that you would also feel that 7 months is a very long time to have this issue resolved.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Only received notice that it will take 30 Calendar days for review and now speaking with their customer service they say due to the pandemic it will take even longer which is very unacceptable. I work for a travel company and we have service during this crisis of having coverage via accounting dept, sales, marketing, customer service, etc. All covered during business hours so for Trip Mate to say they cannot get a Manager or Supervisor to help this is not reasonable. If you are traveling DO NOT get your travel insurance through Trip Mate since it should not take over 30 Calendar days for them to review or contact you with information.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

This company does not communicate at all. I tried calling with questions on why they denied giving me a refund for a trip I paid for that was cancelled due to COVID-19 not to mention I paid for the insurance on the trip and there was an auto response telling me to send an email. I tried email customer service and it would not go through. They do not respond in a professional manner nor do they honor their insurance policy. This company along with Cheap Caribbean is a joke and I will not book anything with them ever again!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I purchased Trip Mate's Plan F200B for a trip to the Ukraine through CheapOair. The flight departed on 02/08/2020 and was to return on 05/06/2020. Unfortunately, due to the Pandemic, the return flight was canceled due to the fact that the Ukraine Government stopped all travel. The trains stopped running, and the Airports were closed and shut down except for emergencies and exemptions. We were forced to purchase a new one way return ticket. A claim was filed with Trip Mate for the covered reason of “a government-mandated shutdown of an airport or air traffic control system for reasons other than terrorism or an act of war.” We simply wanted to be reimbursed for the one way return ticket. Not the additional expenses of stay in the Ukraine an additional 7 weeks!

Trip Mate denied the claim after an extended delay in processing, because it didn’t qualify as a covered medical emergency. They simply ignored the actual covered reason for our claim. We were never actually able to speak to anyone regarding the claim. Their automated telephone system prevented any direct communication. We contacted the Morgan and Morgan Law Firm for a consultation. They said we had a good case but they weren’t interested and recommend small claims court. Apparently there was no money in it for them. So much for...”For the People!” Ambulance chasing law firms can’t be bothered with right or wrong or principles... only the bottom line. That’s just my opinion. In my experience, I found Trip Mate to be dishonest, unreliable and a complete waste of money. I would certainly be part of a Class Action Suit against Trip Mate!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I have been very dissatisfied with my claim experience at Trip Mate travel insurance. They have communicated with me only reluctantly, and have stalled on paying my claim for months now. Every time I contacted Trip Mate by phone I felt that I was getting a runaround and that the agent was just saying what he/she thought would get me off the phone. Yesterday I filed a complaint online with the MO Insurance Commission, and today I received a very polite reply indicating that someone from their office would look into my complaint. Perhaps if we all contact this office, we might see some results. How could it hurt?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

Trip Mate Does not communicate with people regarding their travel claim. The claimant has to initiate the communication. Trip Mate does not follow the process they have outlined in their insurance contract relative to timelines and especially with the grievance process. You are not provided with a claims person’s name so have no one specific to connect with. According to BBB of Kansas City, MO Trip Mate claims are ‘on hold’ but no time frame as to when the claims will be processed and no rhyme or reason as to the order in which they are processing them. The reason I was given for being ‘on hold’ is they have too many claims. So does every other travel insurance company yet I have received refunds from 2 other companies for the same trip but for different expenses. Trip Mate is not transparent with their process and how to interact with them.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

We book a first-class return trip to San Antonio, Texas in January for a return flight in Sept. 2020. I am a dialysis patient and have been for 3 years which hasn't stopped me from traveling until Covid-19 appeared on the scene. In June we decided the virus wasn't under control in the country at all and I didn't feel safe traveling away from home as should I come down with Covid, it is a death sentence for me. As I am sure it is for a lot of their travelers during this pandemic.

After paying for insurance that amounted to $300 + plus $1500 + taxes and fees amounted to almost $2000. We were willing to take vouchers for future travel as we know airlines are hurting as well because of this virus, but TripMate denied that as well. We are now going to have our credit card company have a look and see if they can do something. Needless to say, after submitting every document they requested and they acknowledged receiving them, still denied our claim. This is not a company I can recommend or will ever use again.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

Hi, I purchased this insurance for myself and my son for a Europe trip. He worked himself to the bone to pay for his own trip. The school board cancelled the trip and it clearly met the conditions to be fully refunded per the policy. I knew it would take a little bit and was patient but just recently was pleased to find out that Trip Mate was issuing me the full refunds. They told me the amounts and that the cheques were being cut and would be mailed out. All documentation was received in good order and my file online was in payment. NOW they are saying that the underwriter wants to do the claim and handing it to them. This doesn't smell right. The underwriter is asking for more info. Everything was provided though. It's the same thing that happened with the other Canadian Company. I will update this review next week if they don't give me the cheques as they said they would previously.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

My husband and I realized back in April that we would not be able to go on our honeymoon in May. NYC where we lived was shut down during the worst of the pandemic. We had purchased 'cancel for any reason' so regardless that Tripmate does not cover pandemics (ridiculous) we should still be getting 75% of our deposit back.

It has now been 4 months and we have made roughly 20 phones calls speaking to different managers. We have been told several things such as "They cut a paper check but realized you wanted an e-check so they voided the paper check and you should be getting it in your email." Then, "They are not emailing it. They are sending another paper check". Once we never received either email OR paper check they said they it "was sent" but they would VOID and send ANOTHER paper check.

Speak to them today and are told they NEVER sent ANY check via email OR paper. So have they been lying to us this entire time? In June it says "Payment in process. Refer to payments tab", there is nothing on that tab. In July it again says the same, and yet nothing in the payment tab. When you look under our names it says "CLOSED - PAID". We have been told it's "in accounting", "in the mail", "being emailed", etc.

At this point I am certain this company is a scam. I am going to contact the state attorney general in Missouri where their offices are allegedly located as well as looking into taking them to small claims court. DO NOT BUY INSURANCE FROM THIS COMPANY. They are a scam and a fraud and you will not ever receive any money back even if your claim is approved!!!

Trip Mate Insurance Company Information