2.22/5
Based on 30 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

523 Super 8 Hotels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 5, 2018

Checking in was not an issue, hard to understand due to accent. Only 1 luggage cart and side security door was broke so the door stayed partially open. Looked like they pulled the card swipes to get in off. Once in room we discovered one of the bedspreads had cigarette burns all over it, blanket had pink finger polish all over. Bath towels had long black hairs stuck in them.

Room had not been cleaned very well as the corners had debris. Our toilet plugged up so we called the front desk for help and was told "Ok". 45 minutes later we called to see why no one came up and rudely told my husband he hung up before he could tell him he had to come get a plunger and unplug it himself. My husband went down and was told no one was on duty after 2 pm to fix anything. Was handled a dirty plunger with toilet paper stuck to it in a plastic grocery bag that had holes in it. My husband unplugged it by found that the flapper in tank was shutting too fast and not allowing enough water pressure to flush unless you held handle down for 10-15 seconds.

I asked to speak to manager and was told he wasn't working but would be there tomorrow. When I told the manager our problems he asked if our bedspread was clean? And every guest had to unplug their own toilet after 3 when maintenance went home. He was smiling and gave me the impression he could care less. When the manager asked if he could make everything better I told him of course, we would be out most of day for basketball tournaments. When we returned nothing had been done so I asked why and he said we had a blanket laying on the bed to be changed and they would not touch the beds unless everything is off even to change sheets cause they don't want to be blamed for stealing.

Then we get a knock on our door and it's the maintenance guy, he was rude and abrasive when my husband told him he thought it was the flapper in the tank. We told him and showed him how we had to hold handle down but he just dismissed it. Said it was fine and used a snake on the toilet, threw dirty water all over floor and walked out, leaving us to clean up. Breakfast was a joke, 2 cereals, fat free milk in a jug, toast, waffle, the same bruised apples were put out all 4 days. Even locked up their juice machine at 9 am sharp. Ice machine on 3rd floor broke, ice machine on 1st floor leaked all over floor, 2 washers and 2 dryers (stacked on top of each other) for 3 floors and one washer was broken. Was there for major basketball tournament and was up til 1 am washing jerseys, plus only one person could get in laundry. It was so narrow and had vending machine in same narrow hallway.

The room had the smallest bathroom ever, you could sit on toilet and wash your feet in bathtub at same time. Sink area was right next to entry door and you could lay on one of the beds and watch people at the sink was a very strange and awkward setup. Not at all user friendly. We are senior citizens traveling with our grandchildren for their basketball tournament and this was the most unconscionable experience ever. We want our money back.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Arrived at this motel, we were dealt with a complete rude person, if we dared asked a question he shrugged and muttered under his breath to his colleague about us. Condescending and intimidating and unwilling to be helpful.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: May 29, 2018

After reviewing all of the other reviews and reading the canned response from "Nerissa **, Guest Relations Manager", I don't really expect much more than I have seen her give everyone else who complained, but at least the next one reading my post may we prepared to get the same pre-typed "Sorry, but we really don't care, and nothing will change response."

I booked at Super 8 by Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront due to "lack of options" and they were the only hotel that had rooms on Memorial Day weekend. My family and I arrived about 1 hour before check-in to beat traffic. Surprised to see there was little to no parking, asked about early parking and was told we would have to pay for a parking pass to be on the lot early or would be towed (tow truck was towing a car when we pulled in). So we purchased the early parking pass ($15 CASH only for 1 hour, wonder who pockets this $$$).

We left and came back approx 1 hr later and had nowhere to park. No other free parking available. Called the hotel was told, "Sorry parking is what it is, there are other parking garages nearby you can pay for." Finally waited in the lot for over an hour for someone who wasn't a guest to move. Parking is across the street behind buildings in a pretty shady area. Lot is not monitored, only patrolled by a tow truck. Spaces are very small, I had a hard time fitting my Jeep there. Once we get checked in, there was no baggage cart, and had to carry all luggage from the parking lot to our room. One elevator that worked when it wanted to. Our room was on the 5th floor. To be a non-smoking hotel, they must use cheap cigarette smoke scented air freshener.

There were no towels in room, called front desk, they brought 3 hand towels. Never received a bath towel after calling several times. Exhaust fan in bathroom didn't work, fridge didn't cool below 60 degrees, shower curtain moldy and was not long enough to keep water in tub, floor was soaked after each shower. Asked to change rooms/floors told no. Room wasn't cleaned, beds weren't made, no towels, and trash wasn't taken out during our entire stay. Pool had trash in it, and even after telling staff, the trash was still in there the day I checked out. Continental breakfast was a joke. I work in the Fire Service and found sprinkler heads painted over and honestly question the functionality of the sprinkler system, think about that before you let your family and children sleep here at night.

The front desk staff after 6pm was either outside fraternizing with girls on the street or was too busy to help myself or other guests. I have stayed at Super 8's before and have NEVER experienced a hotel with such filth, and lack of customer satisfaction. Asked to speak to the General Manager and was told he "wasn't available". Asked about a survey card, and was told "just go to TripAdvisor." Not sure if Super 8 Corporate office has anything to do with this hotel, but someone needs to pay them a random visit!

Original review: March 27, 2018

I was pleased with the Super 8 hotel in Cincinnati, OH. There were safes in the room, smoke detectors, and good mattress. Clean bathroom, bedding, and floors. Nice, clean room. Nice, friendly personal service. Took MasterCard, and had a swimming pool.

Original review: March 25, 2018

My Stay in Super 8 Gainesville Florida was OK for an overnight stay with the last-minute reservation. The price was reasonable. Room was clean but not enough towels for two persons stay.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Super 8 Hotels?

Original review: March 23, 2018

I have been to better places but the Super 8 hotel in Des Moines, Iowa was remodeling and I thought it was ok it was being remodeled so in all fairness I did like the washer/dryers that were close to the room. It was clean enough in the rooms and the outside entrance was nice to be near my room.

Original review: March 22, 2018

The Super 8 hotel in Atlanta was in a very safe area and close to shopping and restaurants. The receptionist was very nice and the rooms were very clean and there was no cigarette smell. I plan on going and staying there again.

Original review: March 21, 2018

It was in the 80s when I stayed at Super 8 in Nashville. I really liked staying at Super 8. When I stayed at Super 8 they made sure we had everything we needed. I'm really glad I stayed there. I doubt that I will stay at any motel or hotel ever again.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Super 8 in Memphis was the bare minimum and not worth the money it cost. It's a place to sleep if you are on the road and only need to stay for one night. It was not as clean as I like, and the stairs were impossible if you have much luggage to carry in.

Original review: March 13, 2018

My car died on me and my motorhome. Off and on throughout the month, while my Motorhome was being repaired, I stayed at the Super 8 in Idaho Falls. They were very kind to me and I also had a pet, my cat. After a few nights the night gal got to know me by sight. I came in one night and have looked exactly as I felt. She came around the desk and asked if she could give me a hug. I asked her why. She said, "Joy look like you need out." Boy did I. I love this place. They also had rooms set aside for smokers which are rare! Thank you Super 8. I had wonderful and kind service.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Three minute hotel booking I made through Priceline.com. I canceled the order after finding that there was a glitch in the Priceline system as they told me to do and rebooked for the Super 8 in Belleville Illinois which is what I had put in the system to look for. The manager at the Super 8 in Belleville Michigan will not take phone calls from myself or from Priceline to try to discuss this situation. I was staying with my son at an Air Force Base in Illinois. I rebooked immediately for the Super 8 by that Air Force Base and the Michigan Super 8 charge me for one night stay. The cancellation policy showed at the time that I had till noon the next day to cancel. I actually canceled three minutes after I made the reservation. The manager is unwilling to speak with me about this issue even though he keeps telling us to call back.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I had a very pleasant stay in Super 8 Ft. Worth. Large room and bed, nice sized bathroom. There was room to move around & not feel cramped! While the bed could've been a bit softer & more than 1 blanket would be nice.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Super 8 have contracted a shady scammer company called; Reservations.com for all their bookings. I can no longer contact the hotels directly. These crooks charged me the full amount of my stay without my permission when I was only making a reservation...and didn't even email me the confirmation. SUPER 8 I hope you go out of business. Will be going to Motel 6 in future.

Original review: March 3, 2018

It was a blizzard. I work in Batavia. I live in Medina. I was too tired to drive home after working 3rd shift. Didnt want to drive in unsafe conditions. I went to motel Super 8 in Batavia. They charged me a 20 fee for checking in early knowing I work 3rd Ill be checking out by 10pm. She said go to Days Inn for a shower then making me go back to Super 8 to my room. Im not satisfied. I was cold all day. Heat didnt work too well. Theres a draft from window. What are my rights? What can I do about this. 80.00 just to rest for the day. Complications for a shower.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Well got to room, no power, moved to another room no heat! They flipped breaker and power on moved back. Later power off again due to a fan in bathroom shorting. Next morning roaches on walls, fridge had old food left in it from previous motel person. Not cleaned for some time, mold on shelves in fridge, bare wires sticking out of walls where the smoke detector was but room had none, rude managers and called owner and even more rude. Worse motel ever.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

We stayed 11/22/17 11/24/17. The 1st room had bedbugs. Moved us to another room! Very embarrassing going to Thanksgiving with red bumps on my arm! Breakfast didn’t have much of a choice on what to eat! It said heated pool. My daughter went in and it was freezing! We went and left. I had the door open for my daughter and here comes a dog running out the owner trying to catch it with no leash!!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I purchased this hotel for my in-laws who were in Austin late because I did not want them to drive the 3-hours back to my house in North Dallas. They checked in and was given a room on the 1st floor. To their surprise, soon after turning off the light to go to sleep they were joined by an infestation of cockroaches. My brother-in-law got up to go to the restroom before falling asleep and there were roaches behind the door. He told his wife, so she reached to turn on the light on the nightstand only to find an abundance of roaches on the nightstand right next to her.

They informed the front desk, so the front desk moved them to a room on the second floor which was not sanitary, the toilet and shower were nasty, so they decided to take turns sleeping due to the late hours to watch for cockroaches. It was a horrible stay for them and me. I am horrified and embarrassed. I contacted the hotel the next morning when they informed me what happened. The hotel said for 2 days straight they would have the manager call us back, which he never did. Finally, when we called and got a manager on the phone, he stated we needed to contact hotels.com since we booked through them. I contacted hotels.com for hotels.com to say we needed to talk to the hotel because they pay the hotel. This has been a horrible experience and degrading treatment. I can say I will never ever book with hotels.com and without a doubt will not stay at another Super 8. If you value your health, cleanliness, or your family do not stay here.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Super 8 Reno, Nevada - We were very pleased with the room and the amenities and the staff was also pleasant and helpful. The rates were reasonable but charging an extra twenty five dollars a night for a dog adds up especially when you are taxed on that in addition to the room tax. But overall I would recommend this place as there was no riff raff and the place was convenient to everything.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Super 8 Uniontown, Ohio - The place was not very clean. Some kind of mystery goop on the ceiling. Floor looked as if mechanic with greasy boots stayed the night. New personal rule: if they require 24 hr cancellation notice I won't book it!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Super 8 Iowa Falls, Ia. USA - Checking in with foreigner that spoke little English was a nightmare. Rude management. Rates were outrageous or the hotel brand. Rooms not worth the money. Couldn't get discounts I was entitled to. Continental breakfast thank goodness it was free. No one would pay for that.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Manager became very rude when the bride would not return his call which it was not our problem. He bothered us calling us out every time we walked out of building. He would harass us, and that was very embarrassing in front of family, children and customers. We paid was agreed which was $79.99 and $10.00 for the children. Which was suppose to be $89.99 per day. He charged me $99.99 per day. Our stay was Friday and Saturday. So I’m wanting a refund on my stay. The manager made us feel very uncomfortable throughout our stay. Very disappointed in his disrespectful attitude.

I will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Housekeeping did not clean our rooms and tiles were dirty. Not a happy camper. We were family of the bride. She made the arrangements. My room 2 queen beds 4 adults and 2 children on Friday and on Saturday only 2 adults. So I want a response from the owner of this establishment. This is not fake or made up experience was not pleasant. We had several family members at this facility and everyone was affected by this unprofessional so called manager.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Trash! Pubic hairs all over in the tub. The sink was dirty! The floor didn't look like it had been vacuumed. No way would I think about going into the pool! the service was trash also. The lady sat on the phone without acknowledging that I was waiting to check in. I stayed at a Motel 6 when I got off the plane at one AM this morning. It was better than this! I wouldn't even give it a half a star. Straight trash.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Reserved two rooms in Cincinnati, OH for 2 nights to meet my son and new grandson for the weekend. After coordinating travel arrangements with my son decided to stay at a more convenient location so I immediately canceled the room reservations. The rooms (2 rooms) were booked through Travelocity on Monday Sept 18, 2017 at 1:47 pm. Cancelled both rooms through Travelocity and received cancellation notices for both rooms on Monday Sept 18, 2017 at 3:00 pm and 3:03 pm respectively.

Thought all was good as the cancellation policy stated we had until 6:00 pm on Sept 21, 2017 to make any cancellations without charge. The rooms were reserved for Friday night Sept 22 and Saturday night Sept 23. So the rooms were canceled over 72 hours in advance. Went to use my debit card that these rooms were reserved on (and then cancelled) to purchase dinner for my family on Saturday night and found that I didn't have sufficient funds for dinner on that card. Come to find out that even though I had cancelled the rooms well in advance of the cancellation policy Super 8 had still submitted 4 separate charges to my card sometime on Friday or Saturday and those charges were pending which blocked those funds from being available.

It appears that the hotel went ahead and charged 2 cancellation fees (cost of one night each for two rooms) and then charges for 2 nights stay for each room. Charges totaling $335.46. Immediately contacted Travelocity and after approximately 45 minutes on hold after talking to Travelocity customer service was told nothing could be done until the next morning when the hotel manager was in to be able to verify what exactly had been charged and so long as they were showing "pending" in my account that they could possibly fall off.

Follow up with the hotel management by Travelocity on Sunday resulted in them telling me that even though I had booked and canceled through them that they were not at all responsible for the charges as they were not the ones that charged my credit card. I have to deal with Super 8 directly. Contact Super 8 customer service to basically the same BS. Because the charges are pending they will probably fall off if the charges were in error.

A case was initiated and I was told it could take up to 7 days for a manager to contact me. All the while they have $335.46 of my money tied up and unusable. Checked my account on Monday (today, Sept 25) to find that the two-room charges (2 for $111.82 each) have actually posted to my account as POS transactions.

So much for the pending charges just falling off. The other two charges (2 for $55.91 each) are still showing as pending. While in my opinion this constitutes theft on the part of Super 8 motels and in particular the management of the motel that failed to heed the cancellation before charging my card, I am stuck until I hear something back from Super 8.

I am seriously considering legal action if this is not resolved within the next couple of days. I will be re-contacting the Super 8 customer service line with the case number given tomorrow morning, as I am sure that I will see the other two charges post to my account as well. If you do book with these places I would STRONGLY suggest that you book and cancel (if needed) directly with the hotel/motel instead of going through a site like Travelocity as they just wash their hands of the problem when something on the other end goes wrong.

I personally will never use Travelocity or Super 8 motels again, even if they resolve this matter to my satisfaction as I should have NEVER had to be dealing with any of this in the first place. This should have been as simple as Travelocity contacting Super 8 on my behalf, since the reservations and cancellations were through them, and figuring out that YES indeed these rooms were properly cancelled before the cancellation deadline and that any pending charges be immediately reversed without question, but no, instead I have to deal with uncooperative customer service reps that don't seem to be able to recognize that they are the ones who have erred in this arrangement and have no power or desire to satisfy a customer when they are CLEARLY in the wrong. Stay tuned as this one isn't over!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

8-13 to 20, 2017. Saw dead flies in the window. Ask for a vacuum cleaner. Scott at front desk said it was lock up. So I ask for the broom. Notice small red bumps on the front of my neck and chest, on 8/15/17. Thought it came from medication change. The early morning of 8/20/17 felt a bite, then saw a bug in the bed with me. Got a towel to catch it and kill it. Saw blood, room it to the front desk. He said it was a bedbug, gave me a new room. I check out. I was told that they would have the room look over. Call on 8/22/17. Was told no bugs to be found. I would like to see Scott sleep there for 7 nights and then let me see his body.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I checked into this "pet friendly" motel on 8/14. At 3 am, I was awakened with numerous flea bites all down my left side. I went to the front desk and they moved me to another room. The night clerk told me I would not be charged for my stay because of the inconvenience of having to pack up and move at 3 am. Two days later, the room was charged to my credit card. Two phone calls have resulted in nothing but promises to pass the information on to the manager (Warren), who appears to never be there.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I booked a reservation with the hotel and come to find out they had no rooms left. I asked speak to a manager and was told no manager was there until next day at check in time. The employees answered the phone asking "Who this?" They would not allow me cancel my reservation or refund me my money. They had no parking, the manager very unprofessional and the staff too. I wouldn't recommend a roach to stay at that hotel… Soon as you see the name come up please don't waste your time...

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Sleeping at the Norman Bates Motel would have been better. My family had 4 rooms and every room was worse than the next, first hotel said that Expedia cancelled our reservation and hotel said they were sold out? Smh???‍ Hotel puts me on hold and a miracle they have rooms. The first room had an 8 foot ladder in front of door (if I was looking to sue that would have been perfect opportunity). The other room one was a smoking room. I took it because the others had children or older adults, with my asthma I thought I would be ok. What choice was there.

I cleaned the sticky alcohol rings that were left on furniture, I dusted the dust to relieve some of my breathing, I went to front desk to get clean sheets (I knew they were clean because they were warm as if came out of dryer) but the sheets were old and a yellow look but clean, the carpets were horrendous. I wouldn't walk on them with firemen boots and the bathroom was so bad but that I brush my teeth and use the bathroom next door at restaurant. I'm not a prima-Donna. I lived in the Bronx most my life. I would rate the hotel as to blow it up and rebuild or rent rooms out by the hour but I will never recommend this place to any one... My advice sleep in your car and save $140.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I visited the Super 8 Motel in McGehee Arkansas on 8/8/17- 8/10/17. I was assigned room 114. This was the worst stay that I have ever experience in my entire life. I noticed immediately upon entering the room that the room had a terrible mildew, type of stench coming from it. I walked to the front desk and complained to the staff present. I was told that it was an old motel and that was the reason for the smell. Really? The on duty staff offered to come to the room and spray it to attempt eliminate the odor. His attempt was useless. The odor seem to be coming from the old carpet that was in the room.

I kept my shoes on my feet my entire time I was there. I did not even attempt to lay in the bed. No way! There was a recliner and a computer chair present in the room. The recliner looked dirty so I sprayed it down with Lysol and Febreze, but it was no match for that odor. I had to place a large shower towel on the computer chair & this is where I ended up sleeping. The shower had rust in it and a lot of mosquitos present. No shower for me! Every customer that I came across seem to be scratching like a dog with fleas. Good decision that I made to not sleep in that bed. No amount of discount offered could make me relive my stay there again. I would rather spend the extra money or drive the extra miles and avoid the Super 8 motel altogether.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

Do yourself a favor and NEVER... I MEAN NEVER stay at a Super 8, especially the one in Stevensville, MI. The hotel was absolutely filthy, terribly overpriced and the hotel building was not secure. The electronic lock was not even installed on the door we were told to use to get to our room and anyone could have walked in off of the street at any time of the night or day. The young man that I dealt with at the front counter was nice enough and did steer us to a great area restaurant, but that was the ONLY positive thing about this stay...

Super 8... that is if there is even such a company, should be utterly ashamed to have their name on this hotel. Everything about this hotel was mangy, broken or just plain gross. I've stayed in hotels that cost 1/3 the cost of this hotel that were nicer. I'm utterly amazed that this hotel is still in business. It much just be that people booked sight unseen because there was a lack of rooms to be had in the area, because NO ONE... including myself would EVER knowingly book a room at this hotel. (This hotel was $56 more per night than the Marriott in Dayton, Ohio where we stayed the previous 2 nights, which was a fantastic, clean and friendly hotel and had a great, helpful wait staff and a fabulous breakfast). I will NEVER stay at a Super 8 again.

Original review: July 30, 2017

Welcome to Hell Hotel! Run away from Super 8 Hotel in VA Beach. The filthiest & highly mismanaged hotel run by an Indian family named ** family. If you read any "great reviews" about this motel it is because they were most likely paid reviews in my opinion. This hotel is licensed under the name of Wyndham Worldwide Hotel just because they were paid to have the license and name purchased, otherwise they are run independently. This hotel is not controlled by Wyndham. ** family (Indian family) owns and operates this hotel and many stores nearby. Do NOT get fool for the $25 a night saving & go somewhere else.

Parking is not guaranteed and at time nor it is free as you will read reviews, ONLY one ice machine for a 7 story dirty hotel (bed spread had dried up stains on it among other issues...), no safety box, doors do not lock up from inside the room, employees use guest room bathroom when you are not there, nothing works in the rooms. Filthy as hell rooms and premises. Forget breakfast also as white bread and tea is what you will find. Do not believe the paid reviews the ** the Indian owners of this hotel offer - Take my word, run, just run... pay the extra $30 a night and enjoy your stay. Do not even look back. Shame on Wyndham Worldwide Hotels for running their name for a few dollars they get from licensing their name to this dirty/unsafe hotel. Do not stay at super 8 hotel on 17th and atlantic ave in VA Beach VA. Nothing worked in this filthy room- not in my room and not in other guests rooms when I asked them.

Super 8 Hotels Company Information