1.27/5
Based on 213 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

251 National Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I rented a car at the National Great Falls location, in July 2018. I have yet to have heard a reply as if the following is a good example of how you want your customers treated: I rented a car from National, for business. I paid for the complete insurances, as the car rental agent told me that my American Express would not cover for every event I might encounter. I was told I was covered for everything if I paid for the insurances via J.E Car Rental. Well, I lost the keys.

Apparently lost keys are not covered by insurances. I understood that it was my fault. But even if it was my fault, I was expecting some kind of help to resolve the situation. I had absolutely no help. Employee on the phone when I called was unprofessional and the manager told me: "You lost the keys. It’s your problem, fix it." Then hung up!!! Hung up!!! I called back and asked if I could get the car towed to Great Falls and pay the rental until the keys would make it to the car rental station. She refused. She said if I towed the car there she would refuse for the car to enter the parking lot. Because of the manager's refusal to help, I had to extend my stay for 5 days more, re-book plane tickets, miss a conference in San Antonio I had prepaid for, in order to wait for the key fob to arrive.

As a summary, all in all, she made a small mistake turn into a full fledge traumatic, much more costly than it should have been nightmare. Again I was taking full responsibility for my mistake. But I was provided no help by the National manager and she made it much worst than it needed to be. To make matters worst, I got a phone call today saying I needed to pay for a key fob. I already bought and replaced the lost key fob. What more is wanted from me? I already bought the key and fob! That is extortion!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Rented a car from National and left my Surface Pro in the back of the car. A lady there confirmed she had it and what was in the laptop bag... After 37 phone calls over a period of 4 days trying to get a tracking number and no one ever getting back to me my laptop arrived... still with no communication from anyone... Opened the box and my laptop is shattered as if a car drove over it, as well as the laptop bag damaged and the hard drive and remote. I phoned customer service to tell them what had happened and they told me it was not them that did it must have happened in transit which is not possible as the box is not damaged and the laptop was in bubble wrap and it does not explain the tears in the laptop bag... I have never written a review on a company in my life this is my experience with National. Again they refuse to help at all.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I arrived at DFW on 10/26/18 around 6:40 pm on a business trip. I processed to pick up my rental, I advised the agent my driver's license is laminated because it was cracked. The agent said NO, I advised her I can take it out but I don’t want any more damage to happen. I took it out and as I said it cracked more, she then said, "NO. We can’t take it." I asked for a manager after 10 minutes she said yes. No apology or anything rude customer service reps. I have advise my company of this issue so going forward we will not use National Car Rental again...

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Recently rented a car from National at Halifax airport. There was a long and complicated problem preventing my rental (from previous rental in Hamilton Ontario with Enterprise). The staff in Halifax were patient courteous and professional. Thanks so much for making my day better.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I'm so discouraged after reading these. I've been renting through National for quite a while. I basically rent every week for work. Last week I left a portable charger and Bluetooth headphones in the back seat. I'm 150% positive I left them there. And I do understand that it's my responsibility - I do take ownership of the fact that I left expensive items in the car. I called National as soon as I got to my next destination (I didn't realize until I was on the plane), I filled out the lost items form and when I arrived back Sunday to rent my next car I spoke with a Manager about it who said they'd check the lost and found that week and get back to me.

They didn't get back to me - so when I dropped the car off a manager went back and checked for me - of course the items are not there. Thought I really have had good service with National and I like their cards, I can't in good conscious rent from a company that allows thieves to work for them. They have NO way of tracking who cleans the cars, who moves the cars... of course they don't. Because if they did, they would have to fire employees for theft. Apparently they aren't interested in knowing who the dishonest employees in their company are...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

One-day business trip, Vancouver Airport Rental Agreement (RA) made for one day on June 12, 2018. I signed with the clerk the RA and got the car. I returned the car on the same day and I have been charged $84.61 for one day trip. One week later, I checked my credit card statement and I saw the charge of $84.61. From this point, I closed this chapter thinking everything is good.

To my surprise, a charge of $621.68 appeared on July 5 with no trace of the first charge. No luck to discuss with someone, customer service always gave me the same line- "We do not deal with this kind of complains over the phone and a manager will contact you." Numerous attempts to solve the issue with them failed. I contacted my credit card company to open a dispute and since then, it's mid-September, they couldn't settle the issue. National sent as response a bunch of documents which I never saw, discussed, or signed with them. They said I made for different payments in for days and I returned the car on June 21 not on June 1st as per our Agreement. Who rents for 11 days and go back to pay 4 times???!!! If I would extend my renting, I would have 4 RA as well... Also, they said I returned the car in a different location!!!???

What they sent is full of discrepancies showing manual entries information from an invoice that has been manually entered by account receivable department, not auto generated by the system -i.e. Receipts. They refuse to check the video surveillance that will show my return and failed to send legit documents to prove their statement. I am confident the credit card company will solve the issue as there is no way for National to prove I paid 4 times or I signed a different Rental Agreement. But, I will never use this company to rent a car and I will spread the word like a prophet not to use these thieves that close their door if you have an issue. I hope everyone who reads this and plan to rent will choose a better option.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My husband and I would like to know why no one has called us back regarding our complaint. We have called four times and were told that they would be Escalating our complaints as they were serious and would have someone with authority contact us. We have heard from nobody. Is this how you treat executive members who have been loyal? I really don’t want to go into detail about what happened again but the short end of it we upgraded to a car. Negotiations over the price were made and confirmed. We were given the keys and our luggage was in the car. We were driving away when suddenly stopped at the gate and kicked out of the car by the manager on duty. This is a severe complaint and if someone needs to contact us. This complaint will not just go away. Please contact me.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

It is with dismay that I must take my business elsewhere. I made a recent rental in Erie, Pennsylvania only to arrive on an American Airline flight to find no car. I had made the reservation two months earlier. When I called the “Customer Support” number I was told, “Sorry there is nothing we can do for you.” When I asked to speak to a supervisor I received the same response. I rent over 40 days a year with National and you could care less that you stranded me and my wife at the airport. I walked to the Avis counter and found myself a car, and while I was there signed up for their preferred program, and will take all of my business to them.

It is sad that your “customer service” is not really service at all. It would have been easy for you to arrange a car for me had you cared about the situation you placed me and my wife in. Your lack of caring, your lake of response to multiple phone calls, and your overall lack of customer service has cost you my business. I am only one person, but I suspect there are many more out there that you have shown the same lack of concern towards. In a service industry, customer service should be the focus of what you do; rather you choose to ignore customers who you have put in bad situations. It is for this reason I happily take my business elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I was headed to Napa with my boyfriend for our first trip together. We rented a car from National and even upgraded to the Mustang convertible. When we returned the car, we accidentally left a bag in the back seat with 2 hats and a book. As soon as we boarded the AirTrain, we realized we left it in the car... rushed back to center within 15 minutes. They said I had to talk to admin who could not "locate" the car!!! An hour later, we had no choice but to leave to board our flight. Filed a report, called back the next day and it's gone!!! Officially gone within minutes!!! Basically STOLEN... Thanks National... so much for being an Emerald Club member. Way to value your customers! Bravo...

Original review: July 22, 2018

My fiancee prepaid for my rental car. When I picked it up at Ontario Airport I had to provide a card in my name since she was not there at the time of pick up. I asked if I would be charge and the customer service representative told me "No, the balance is $0, your card is needed in case of any damages or if the car is returned with less than a full tank of gas." Six days after I returned the car I was charged for the rental. After speaking with a customer service agent at Ontario Airport who verified my fiancee's card was on the account I was told that a manager would contact me. When the manager contacted me I was told that my fiancee's card was removed from the account. They told me I would not receive a refund because the account was closed. I had been a loyal customer for years. It is nice to know they value money over their customers.

Original review: June 4, 2018

The experience I had with this rental car company was awful. You can book a reservation but when you go to pick up your car you must have a major credit card which you are not told that when booking the reservation. I was going to a family reunion and when I went to the location to pick up the vehicle in West Palm Beach, Florida, I wanted to use my debit card which they wouldn’t accept and I was not told that information when making the reservation. I was very upset and had to go to another car rental place which put me behind by about 3 hours. I will never recommend National Car Rental to anybody ever...

Original review: May 18, 2018

My wife and I rented a car 1 year ago. We were charged for damage to the vehicle that we did not do. I have written letters and emails, sent numerous pictures and still have gotten no answer for why they charged us for damage. I posted a review previously and was contacted via email that a member of the Risk Management team would be contacting me. Several months have passed and no contact as of yet. I have never in my life experienced run around like this. Very frustrating!

Original review: May 13, 2018

The website stated you must present proof of a round trip for them to accept a debit card. They accepted the debit card for payment at the time of rental but would not let me rent the car when I showed up at the airport. The round trip proof they said had to be shown before they would honor the paid for reservation, Priceline charged me 42 dollars to cancel the reservation which National would not fill. I will never use either of these companies again because of the “Oh well, it’s your fault and problem” attitude.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I rented a car on Jan 17, 2018, and returned on Jan 19, 2018. I received a damage claim email from National on Mar 07, 2018. It just says balance due $1074.75 but there is no information about the damage which they are claiming. I did not do any damage and no damage reported to me when I returned the car. Almost 46 days later, they just sent an email by saying your balance due $1074.75. Readers, please share your experiences, it will help others.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I just received a bill from National - THREE months after I rented a vehicle for four days in Kalispell Montana. The bill was for $983.90 for a LESS THAN 1/2" chip in the windshield. I was not notified of this nor was I contacted to discuss this "CLAIM" and how it was to be handled. They included an invoice from Safelite auto glass for $874.90 - when I obtained a quote for cash from Safelite - it was for $310.00. National then added their own "fees" to this as well. Everything about this screams scam and ripoff.

When you rent a vehicle you are told to report everything larger than a quarter. This chip (not a star) was less than 1/2" in length, and it was not in the driver's line of sight. National took it upon themselves to replace the entire windshield, and send a ridiculous bill. Do not rent from this company! I rent cars about 6 times a year and this is a first!!!

Original review: April 30, 2018

This was my first time renting a car (I had just turned 25 the day of the rental) and it was a breeze. I'm a grad student so money is tight and the price of renting a car for 4-5 days was only 128 dollars. There was no down payment and I only had to fill the gas tank before I returned the car. The car was a new Nissan Altima and in perfect condition. It was a great first experience and I highly recommend this company.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I was in Orlando for a funeral. My flight back out of Orlando was significantly delayed and I returned my car to the garage 2 hours, almost exactly later than I originally agreed. They charged me an entire day extra for about 3 minutes. An entire day. I called customer service and they were entirely unsympathetic. What a shame. The service beforehand was great, but I guess they will get you any way they possibly can. If you rent, make sure you give yourself enough time to ensure you don't have to pay for a car for a day that you didn't drive it. I have another rental with them coming up and I'm not sure I'll keep it.

Original review: April 5, 2018

We left an iPhone 6 Plus and a new pair of Maui Jim sunglasses in our rental on return. We called within 30 min. after turning the car in. They were gone. Whoever cleaned the car really cleaned the car and stole our things. Not cool. Won’t use this company again.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I planned a trip for spring break. I made a reservation on a Sunday to take my family out for vacation the next day. I had gotten the vehicle reserved with the confirmation number, but when I went the next day to pick up the vehicle I was told they overbooked and there were no vehicles available. Then what the hell is a reservation for? Just ruined my family's vacation!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

BEWARE! I was stuck in a snowstorm in Duluth, Minnesota. We received word that our flight to Minneapolis had been cancelled. Having to make a split decision to drive through the snow to Minneapolis to try and catch our connecting flight in Minneapolis, I called National to tell them we would be returning the car because of the problems with the flights to Minneapolis (2 hours away). They had no mercy on me and charge me $300 for the change. I expected a penalty but not 447% of the daily rental price. And of course had I made a regular reservation of the same journey, it would not have been $300.00. I called and emailed National but they did not care that this was the largest storm in the area since 2014 nor did they care about my situation. So beware... They are all about the money and do not care about the customer!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I recently rented a car in San Antonio on Dec 29th, I dropped it off in Austin (returned it). The Austin location didn't process the return properly and I was charged an extra week for the rental. I have called numerous numbers, departments and although they are all very pleasant - they are trained to come across as helpful - they did not rectify the situation... So due to their inept processing, their mistake, my rental currently sits on my credit card at $1,001.00. Amazing, and I rent 75ish cars a year at least from this company all over North America. I can't imagine how they treat others that aren't as frequent a renter. Avis Here I come... Very disappointed in National Run Around and Terribly inefficient Customer Service... They just blow smoke and sugar coat, I will take my business elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

What a nightmare dealing with this company has been. I was billed for damage to the car that I did not do. I took pictures of the car a few minutes after I picked it up that showed a very small crease in a fender that I had not noticed in the dark parking garage where it was parked. Upon returning the car, the receiving agent never saw the damage and I pointed it out to him. The process after that has been the nightmare. I was told lie after lie. Airport car rental managers to agents at the damage recovery unit. Almost as if they have been coached. Never again will I rent a car from National.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I will never use this company again. I made a reservation online a month ago. When I arrived to get my car at DFW, they said that because I had a Tx drivers license that I could not rent the car with my debit card. I had called 2 weeks ago to confirm that I could. So I got stuck at SEE for 3 days until my return flight home. They do not rent cars to people who have a driver's license in the same state. When I called corporate, they would not do anything about it either. I even had a round trip ticket to show that I was going back to WI on Sat. Plus I showed them my renters insurance bill showing that I do not live here any longer. But because I didn't change my drivers license on Friday after I got married, it doesn't count.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I really don’t know what’s their point to have a grace period. It says there is a 29 min grace period. Between 29 min and 2 hour 30 min there will be an hourly charge. I was late for less than 2 hours and got a full day charge because the hourly rate is half of the daily price and nobody has informed me about this. Customer service said when you are late for over 1.5 hour. It will count as 2 hours. So basically it means if you are over 1.5 hours late, there will be a whole day charge.

The grace period showed online is just a joke. Customer service are all Indian accent and really hard to understand and doesn’t seem want help and just tell me to ask local position. And the local phone cannot be reached so I drove all the way to the airport. The guy there was nice and tried to help us but National has a really bad system. When they put my name on the computer they couldn’t find my reservation but when I call them they could find the reservation although it also took them a long time. And he told me hourly rate is half of the daily rate.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

National Car Rental struggles with sufficient vehicle inventory to meet rental contract obligations, which is a significant issue if you require a specific type of vehicle. When dealing with National, it is important to consider parallel bookings with more reputable car rental companies, since National’s policy is to overbook reservations for specific vehicle types, which ultimately results in unpredictable, and unreliable vehicle reservations. In my experience, vehicles were unexpectedly downgraded from premium SUVs to a van or other small-sized SUVs. There is often unethical behavior by management to overcharge for downgrades.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I made my reservation online and knew I would need a “credit card” to get a car as per usual. In the recent past that has always meant any card with a major credit card symbol on it, including a debit card (I prefer not to have a credit card). After arriving at the airport to get my car I was told that I was not able to rent a car as the policy had changed in June. Now I’m totally stranded. They would not take cash, they would not take a card over the phone, they would not let someone make the reservation at another location in person with a card. The major issue was how much they “enjoyed” shooting down any possible option I could think of.

The customer service line sent me out of country and they refused to help, only referring me back to the local office. At every turn nobody would help and could have cared less that I was stranded. I will never choose National, Alamo, Budget, Enterprise again as they are all one company. I will be telling my story probably for the rest of my life every time “car rental” comes up.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

The rental process at the Key West location is the biggest joke! They make reservations for rental with no cars available. When arriving for our 10 am reservation and the waiting area was full with no cars available but everyone had reservations. Three rental companies (National, Alamo and Enterprise) work from the same inventory and tells everyone they are next but nothing is coordinated. First off, why are they making reservations for vehicles they do not have. Several people were not going to make their flights leaving from Ft Lauderdale and Miami.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

We were a family of 7 inclusive of an elderly, an infant and a toddler. I booked a car abt 3 weeks prior to my trip to Phuket with National Car. However we had some issues with regards to the card I used to make payment. Apparently I can use it to make payment for the car but I cannot use it to secure my deposit. Its a credit/debit MasterCard. However My husband was not satisfied with that and e-mailed them further and even attached a picture of our card in the e-mail.

We were still told that our card is unacceptable. We were advised by the staff to cancel our booking through our agent. The staff said should we choose to keep the booking, we would not get a refund should they reject our card in Phuket. We needed a car so we still tried to contact National Cars staff but this time via their reservation hotline. Yet, we were still told the same thing, our card is unacceptable. Having went through all that clarification, we finally decided to cancel our booking.

So, on the 26 Oct 2017, we touched down in Phuket and saw National Cars booth directly infront of us. We decided to just try our luck and approach them. Imagine our surprise after all the trouble we went through with the supposed unacceptable card, the staffs in Phuket said my card is acceptable after all. So I told them to try retrieve my old booking which they managed. However, I was told that instead of the amount I originally paid, I now have to pay 92 SGD more. It was infuriating! How could their staffs have different knowledge on what can or cannot be accepted? And to advise us to cancel our booking when you're lacking knowledge of your job scope, I think it's ridiculous that I have to fork out more money due to their staffs incompetency.

The worse thing about all of this is that, I e-mailed National Car Thailand regarding this matter and that I demand a refund for the excess I have to pay and all they replied me is, "I'm sorry but we cannot refund the difference. Your deposit will be returned to you soon." Very, very disappointed with their customer service. No explanation as to why the refund cannot be made even though it was their staff's fault, no nothing. They refused to acknowledge my e-mail afterwards. First and last time we'll rent a car with National Car. Untrustworthy, negligent and little respect for their customers???

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

They lured me in with a very low rate (about $20/day). After quickly reviewing the car with me and marking down various scratches, they hammered me when I returned the car in the same condition I received it in. The rental price doubled because of a 'dent' underneath the car which they say I caused (I didn't cause it). In Krabi Thailand, National Car Rental is not honest. The company's headquarters takes no responsibility because it is outside of the US.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I travel extensively for business. My company pre-pays for car rentals when making travel arrangements. We have the choice of two providers. On a trip to Charlotte in June, I opted to rent from National. It was a simple one day trip to meet with a client; June 28, return June 29. After returning the car at the airport location I realized I forgot a sports coat in the backseat. Having already gone through security I could not make it back to the return area without missing my flight.

I contacted National customer service within 30 minutes of the return explaining the situation asking if the coat could be returned. The service agent was understanding and empathetic stating they would note the loss, send a message to the local office and attempt to have the coat returned. Waiting until the following week I contacted National customer again, same story, same understanding, and empathy. This time I was given instructions on how to file a claim online. Also online is the ability to review the found-log for the local office and contacts. Yup; same date, same time, same item description was on the log. It seemed reasonable that it was the item in question.

Sent off a request to investigate the item to the local office, received a rapid confirmation, excellent! The next message was to inform that the office could not locate the item, bummer. I accept that it was my error while at the same time; reported within 30 minutes, confirmed twice with customer service, followed National policy to file online, item noted as found on the National location log for the return date; overall a disappointment.

National Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

National Car Rental was the first company to offer one-way rentals, computerized reservations and a loyalty program. The company is now owned by Enterprise Holdings.

• Executive travel: National Car Rental focuses on providing white glove services to executive travelers, with Emerald Club options to skip the counter, choose any car from the Emerald Club Aisle and be on your way.

• Loyalty program: Customers who enroll for free in the Emerald Club enjoy benefits such as skipping the counter, choosing any car from an Emerald Aisle and applying rewards points to rental days or other travel rewards. Choose Free Rental Days or your favorite frequent traveler program.

• Convenient communication: With email, online, telephone and app connections, customers can make reservations more quickly than ever.

• Pay tolls electronically: Drivers pay a small daily fee plus the cost of tolls to use the TollPass electronic toll payments program, thus avoiding long cash lines and unpaid toll violations.

• Business programs: The National Business Rental Program for any size business offers travelers even more value, speed and convenience. The On The Go Meeting & Convention Program is for car rentals dedicated to the success of your meetings. They also offer Government programs, Military programs and association programs.

• Age: National will rent cars to drivers as young as 18 with a major credit card.

• Best for: Those traveling only one way, business travelers, vacationers, event planners, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles and temporary workers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

National Car Rental Company Information