2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.32/5

National Car Rental offers SUVs, cars, vans and trucks at more than 1,500 locations worldwide. Drivers can purchase roadside protection and supplemental liability protection for an extra cost. The Emerald Club program lets drivers enjoy an upgraded vehicle selection, free rental days, priority service and easy check-in and checkout.

National Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?

Original review: July 24, 2020

After having been a customer for over 3 years, and probably logging close to around 200-300 days worth of rentals, my experience has been very good. There has occasionally been an employee or two that was having a bad day and caused my experience to suffer. That said, having rented from airport locations all around the globe, if my memory serves me correctly, the majority of individuals I encountered were friendly and very helpful. As for the cars and the rental process goes, I have a good understanding of the costs associated with renting a car. The fees they charge are reasonable and well within line of their competitors. I love their executive and executive elite aisles and generally the selection options are fairly decent. On peak rental times, this can always vary, but if the case is the isles don't have what I'm looking for, their employees have mostly been reasonable in finding other options for me.

Additionally, when I was in Germany, I had a minor accident with another individual. Not knowing German, the employee who worked at the counter of the National that I rented from, helped me communicate with the individual who hit me over the phone. This was excellent customer service and helped relieve much of the stress I was under. To me National is a great rental agency and they will certainly have my business for years to come.

National Car Rental response

Patrick, thank you for your great review! We're glad to hear that our teams have been able to provide you with consistently positive experiences and that you are enjoying some of the benefits of our Emerald Club. Take care and we look forward to seeing you again soon! - Carol

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: July 11, 2020

I call to get road service due to a mechanical issue, road service says, "Ok, we booked you a replacement car, go to location and pick up." I go to location, no record of me and to make it worse, no cars. I call road service back, they say, "Ok checking" and then hang up before finishing the where to go next, and no call back. I call back for the 3rd time, "Sorry everyone is closed, maybe you can fix it yourself." It's a good thing the car was still drivable, they offered no solutions and pretty much didn't seem to care... This will be my last rental with NATIONAL, to just say, "Sorry - we can't help you" is not acceptable and I will also be sure to spread the word to all 25,000 co-workers. "BEWARE RENTING FROM NATIONAL."

National Car Rental response

Jeffery, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2020

We purchased our rental through Allegiant. There were extra taxes and fees charged at the airport. The car was not cleaned well, none of them were. With covid 19 you would think they would be concerned about that. Thankfully I brought disinfecting wipes. We decided on National because their desk and cars were the closest to the terminal only to find they had moved, with very poor signage, to the back lot with Alamo. My mother in law has trouble with her knees and we wanted to keep the distance short for her. I did leave her at baggage and picked her up in the car. Upon returning at 3:30am it was unclear what lot we were supposed to go to until we turned into a lot that said National only to be greeted by a sign scribbling out National and telling us to go to another lot. We couldn't because the return lots have tire spikes at the exits.

I parked the car and the sign said to go to the alamo desk way at the end of the parking lot if there wasn't an attendant present. I and many other customers trekked to the desk only to find it closed. I walked back to the car, left the keys in it and took a picture of the poor signage and of the car parked in front of the not scribbled out National sign in front of the space it was parked in. A couple of days later I received a charge for an extra day. Apparently that's how long it took them to find the car in front of their sign. I called to have the charge removed and they told me they would have to put in a request for a refund and it would take a few days. Nothing. I called again a week later and this time they issued the refund on the spot so I guess they don't have to request it after all. They are dirty, stupid and will waste your time. This was my first and last time renting from them.

National Car Rental response

Leah, thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you'd like to speak with us directly, we're happy to review this with you. To do so please email Care@Nationalcar.com with your contact information, exact rental office location, rental contract information and the details above so we can address this situation. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I have left a handicapped placard after I returned my rental to DFW. I filed a lost and found and went to the rental car center about 1.5 weeks later. The people at the National refused to help and told me to go home and wait. Of course, their rule is that once you filed the Lost and Found you can also search the lost and found website to see if there's anything that matches and inquire. They did find a parking permit. After putting a request with the National Rental Website, I get an email to call the local DFW number or go to the rental center again. The number is essentially an unmanned since nobody ever picks up the phone. I went by the office and told them the item number. This time the personnel said that it was a handicapped placard that they found close to the day of my return, but of course he refused to return claiming that someone was coming to pick it. I asked him to check the number to make sure it was not my placard. Of course he didn't.

I emailed National again and each they sent the same email that DFW National Rental will respond. After almost 3 weeks still nothing. After going back and forth (more than 6-7 times), I get another email to call the number that is unmanned to check. So much for customer service. Because it is a handicapped placard, obviously National does not care about the ADA. I had to file a stolen placard with the police to get a new one. This blatant attempt at lying and at kicking the ball around ensure that I will never and will tell everyone to never rent from National. If you want accountability or respect, you will not get it from them. I'm one of those customers that rent about 2x and 3x a week. If this is how they treat a frequent renter, I can't even imagine how they would treat someone who rents occasionally.

National Car Rental response

Jennifer, when you file a lost item report the team at the airport lost and found team conducts a search to see if they have a match. When a match is placed in the system, you receive an email & phone to notify you your item has been found. From the email, you can chose to ship it back, pick it up or donate. Please continue to work with our DFW Lost & Found team. Thank you! - Carol H. http://bit.ly/29XDqVe

Original review: May 13, 2020

I have rented dozens of times exclusively for business and personal use from National Car Rental and now I NEVER will rent from them again. I rented a car from them and when I returned it, they pointed out damage that I couldn't even see (AND DIDN'T DO). I was in a hurry to get to the airport and didn't take photos, but explained to the lot person that I didn't do the damage they think they see under the front bumper. They said their manager would be in touch and they never did. Then, I get a letter from the Damage Recovery Unit claiming that I need to pay them and they don't even say how much, nor prove with any photographic evidence or any itemization of WHAT was damaged. I promptly turned it over to my insurance agency who found me not responsible for whatever damage that National Car Rental said I was on the hook for.

It's a total scam, you could see they prey on people the moment they pull in the lot to return the car. They also never did a walk around of the car when we picked it up! I thought, cool Hawaii-style, must be more laid back. I didn't see any damage, so I thought we were fine. I've seen other reviews online of this location, I think it's something they do to rip people off. I am appalled that they now have sent me a bill for nearly $1,000 in damage that I didn't cause nor could I even see. They still don't itemize what the damage was! I called them and disputed it, they still found me to be to blame. OF COURSE THEY DO. I'm going to fight this because this is absolutely ridiculous.

National Car Rental response

Noah, we appreciate it when customers tell us about their experiences and recognize how disappointing this must be. At your convenience, please reach out to us at Care@Nationalcar.com with the details above, your claims, reservation, and rental agreement numbers, rental office location, and your contact information. Thank you. - Carol H.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I rented my first car on March 17, 2020 from Charleston Airport in S.C. I picked the car up at 6:40am and was dropping it off at Myrtle Beach Airport in S.C. at around 9:00am. When we picked the car up, it was early morning, so it was dark and the car was black. We were told at the desk that we did not need to do anything more and were told where the car was located in the lot. No attendant came out to look the car over with us and no attendants were in the parking lot to look over the car (which at the time we had no idea this was supposed to happen- remember first time renters). We drove the car the 100 miles with no stopping and no issues- hardly anyone drives that road at that time.

When we got to Myrtle Beach Airport, the attendant found a scratch at the very bottom of the passenger side, almost under the car- which was clearly not seen by us in a dark parking lot at 630am under no parking lot lights, and without an attendant to tell us to look for scratches/damages or come out and look with us. At the desk, they said they would look into it and give me a call. I received a phone call on March 24th asking me to reach out by emailing them, which I did on March 25th and received no response. I did not hear anything back from them until today, when I received a letter in the mail stating that I owe over $800 for this scratch that I did not contribute to.

It was clear that National Car Rental’s employees at Charleston International Airport did not do their job in showing me around the car and looking for damages, nor telling me that checking for damage was something I needed to do to tell them if there were any marks on the car at all. I even mentioned to the front desk attendant that it was my first time renting, so I wasn’t sure of the process. I can guarantee that if I ever need to rent a car again, I will never rent from National or any affiliated rental agencies, and I will also ensure that all of my friends and family don’t either.

National Car Rental response

Jennifer, it's never our intention to inconvenience a valued customer. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the claims, reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: April 22, 2020

After reviewing other experiences, I had to contribute. My car was picked up at Calgary airport in a dimly lit garage. Damage document was laying on the front seat for me to approve, and had no damage reported. The car was not well washed, if at all prior to my arrival. No attendant assisted with a search for damage nor was there a scan for damage done prior to my arrival. How do I know? The windshield was significantly damaged but nothing marked on the report. I did a walk-around, noticed the windshield damage but was unable to see nor notice other damage, took photos but due to lighting and angle it was difficult to see the damage. However, after reviewing the photos, definite blemish can be seen exactly where the damage was.

I drove the vehicle directly to a secured parking lot, then drove the vehicle from there to Edmonton airport 3 hours from the origin. Nothing collided with the vehicle so I know there was no damage caused during my trip. Upon return, the attendant immediately noticed damage but rudely ignored any argument. Very shortly after I was contacted by the Damage Recovery Unit wanting to know how I would pay for the damages of $980. I asked for evidence to show it was caused by me but nothing was provided. I sent a letter of defense to the Risk Management department detailing events and again asking to provide a chain of custody showing damage was cause by me. The only response I got was, "We have reviewed the case and advised the DRU to proceed with collecting for damages."

Today, I received another email asking for $1200 for the same alleged damage and please pay now. Interestingly this vehicle was rented through my company, paid for by company credit card but the shakedown is 100% directed at me, the individual. I have used many rental vehicles throughout my career and have never been treated with this level of disrespect and intimidation. Words of advice, take photos of all four sides of the vehicle prior to departure and the same upon returning the vehicle (Interestingly, on an unrelated rental return to National, I was asked by the rep. why I was taking photos). Also have a representative accompany you during your pre trip inspection. If they fail to do so, it may be a red flag.

Mark,
    We’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Nationalcar.com include the exact Calgary rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement and reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us.
    We look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards,

Carol H.

Original review: April 17, 2020

I have endured the browbeating and bullying of National's Damage Recovery Unit for the last time. A word to the wise: Rent from National and you will pay the price--quite literally--for differing inspection standards between National locations, such that damage caused by predecessor renters will be paid for by you. You will be shaken down and harassed for even minor damage. Good luck arguing with them that the damage was inherited, and that perhaps a car rented in an airport parking garage might have damage unnoticed until returned to a different, brightly sunlit location. In my case, for recouping $1,000 for trivial dents they have lost the business of this Emerald Club member dating back to 2000, in the course of which I spent more than that on an annual basis. I hope they consider it was worth it to them.

Herman,
    We’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Nationalcar.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us.
    We look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards,

Carol H.

Original review: March 24, 2020

My first time renting a car; it was a replacement rental while my car was being repaired. I was charged for damage to the rental vehicle. They never did an inspection with me at the time of rental and I dropped it off before they opened, so I wasn't there for the inspection when it was returned. They are in the business and should know better! If they don't do their due diligence, by going through the inspection with the customer, they shouldn't be able to charge you. I'm really frustrated because I was the only driver and know that I did not do the damage they claim. Heed the warning and make sure you go through the vehicle and check for every single scratch, ding, or missing paint. Next time, I will definitely pay the extra to rent from someone else!

National Car Rental response

Brena, we appreciate it when customers tell us about their experiences. To speak with us further, please email care@nationalcar.com with the complete details include your contact telephone number and email address, and rental agreement or reservation numbers. Thank you. –Carol H.

Original review: March 20, 2020

I rent with National 2x a month, and have been for over 5 years at this point--never had an issue. The last two rentals I was charged more than $60 in gas fees, when I have receipts showing the cars were filled up less than 5 miles from the drop-off location. I called the location once (said he would credit me and didn't), customer service 3x with them ensuring a call back from the regional manager (never happened), and emailed their 'care center' as well. Let me be clear, I DID receive money back after making calls, but the fact I was ever charged at all is my worry. How the company can't even give me a courtesy call to go over my problem is beyond me.

To make matters worse, the last customer service rep I talked to, Lisa, was rude as can be and blamed the pandemic for their piss poor customer service. What a joke. It's clear by reading the other reviews, and seeing their 1-star rating that there's a real issue. This review is only to make others wary of how deceptive and uncaring National is, b/c I have no doubt the actual company has no plans to take corrective measures at this point.

National Car Rental response

Kristen, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Nationalcar.com include the exact rental locations, your contact telephone number, your rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you! - Carol H.

National Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

National Car Rental was the first company to offer one-way rentals, computerized reservations and a loyalty program. The company is now owned by Enterprise Holdings.

• Executive travel: National Car Rental focuses on providing white glove services to executive travelers, with Emerald Club options to skip the counter, choose any car from the Emerald Club Aisle and be on your way.

• Loyalty program: Customers who enroll for free in the Emerald Club enjoy benefits such as skipping the counter, choosing any car from an Emerald Aisle and applying rewards points to rental days or other travel rewards. Choose Free Rental Days or your favorite frequent traveler program.

• Convenient communication: With email, online, telephone and app connections, customers can make reservations more quickly than ever.

• Pay tolls electronically: Drivers pay a small daily fee plus the cost of tolls to use the TollPass electronic toll payments program, thus avoiding long cash lines and unpaid toll violations.

• Business programs: The National Business Rental Program for any size business offers travelers even more value, speed and convenience. The On The Go Meeting & Convention Program is for car rentals dedicated to the success of your meetings. They also offer Government programs, Military programs and association programs.

• Age: National will rent cars to drivers as young as 18 with a major credit card.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

National Car Rental Company Information