2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.69/5

National Car Rental offers SUVs, cars, vans and trucks at more than 1,500 locations worldwide. Drivers can purchase roadside protection and supplemental liability protection for an extra cost. The Emerald Club program lets drivers enjoy an upgraded vehicle selection, free rental days, priority service and easy check-in and checkout.

National Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

This is the best rental company around especially if you are an Emerald Club member. You get to choose your vehicle from a very extensive fleet. I rent about 20 times a year, all over the USA, and been doing it for the last 22 years, Not one complaint.

National Car Rental response

Oscar, we're happy to hear that you're enjoying just a few of the many benefits our Emerald Club has to offer! Thanks for choosing National! We look forward to seeing you again soon! – Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

Been a National customer since 90s. Best thing I like about National is the Emerald Isle Service which is available to its Emerald Card holders (getting membership is an easy process too) at almost all of the major airports in country. Member has the option/choice to pick any car from a Convertible to a SUV for the same price (which is fairly less than most of the other rental companies I had used in past) which is a nice feature to have at one's choice while picking a rental vehicle at the airport.

National Car Rental response

ray, thank you for sharing your experiences! We're happy that you've chosen to rent with us and it’s great to hear that you are enjoying just a few of the many perks that the Emerald club has to offer. We'll see you soon! – Carol H.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 24, 2020

After having been a customer for over 3 years, and probably logging close to around 200-300 days worth of rentals, my experience has been very good. There has occasionally been an employee or two that was having a bad day and caused my experience to suffer. That said, having rented from airport locations all around the globe, if my memory serves me correctly, the majority of individuals I encountered were friendly and very helpful. As for the cars and the rental process goes, I have a good understanding of the costs associated with renting a car. The fees they charge are reasonable and well within line of their competitors. I love their executive and executive elite aisles and generally the selection options are fairly decent. On peak rental times, this can always vary, but if the case is the isles don't have what I'm looking for, their employees have mostly been reasonable in finding other options for me.

Additionally, when I was in Germany, I had a minor accident with another individual. Not knowing German, the employee who worked at the counter of the National that I rented from, helped me communicate with the individual who hit me over the phone. This was excellent customer service and helped relieve much of the stress I was under. To me National is a great rental agency and they will certainly have my business for years to come.

National Car Rental response

Patrick, thank you for your great review! We're glad to hear that our teams have been able to provide you with consistently positive experiences and that you are enjoying some of the benefits of our Emerald Club. Take care and we look forward to seeing you again soon! - Carol

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

Trenton National Care Rental agent saved me big time on Sunday November 24 2019. I desperately needed a car rental. I called National in Trenton. This most caring professional lady, Cindy answered my call. Cindy arranged to meet me that morning, a Sunday at the unopened shop. Cindy arranged a rental right away. Caring, compassionate, empathetic, friendly and professional to me. I felt like a very important customer which is rare these days. Thank you Cindy for helping me. I hope National knows what a special and extraordinary employee they have in you. I highly doubt any other rental place would have opened for on a Sunday for me. I will recommend you and National any and all the time.

National Car Rental response

Thank you very much for the wonderful review, c! Our team is happy to hear that we have gained your complete satisfaction. We will be happy to pass along your comments to our team in Trenton! We’ll see you next time! – Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I rented a car in Kalamazoo, MI on July 25, 2020 that was returned at the Minneapolis airport the next day (July 26, 2020). The person who checked it in stated that there were no problems with the car. Shortly after this, I began receiving emails and mail stating that the car had been damaged. I called National and the person I spoke to said there was no record of the car being damaged. He gave me a number to call and over the following two days I spent more than two hours on hold without ever being able to speak to a human.

The emails and mail continue. The one I received yesterday told me I now owe $1800. A short internet search quickly proved that this is a common scam perpetrated by this company, including being told when you call to ask what the damage was, that they have no record of any damage, AND then are given a number where no one ever answers the phone when you try to call. Followed by an email demanding payments. Another common trend is that the damage was to the ROOF of the car, which is what the most recent scam email states happened to the car I rented. I have been a loyal car renter for National for a number of years, but no more. I have sent two messages to National Car Rental. I have contacted the company for the credit card I used to rent the car, to alert them to this scam. My next step will be to file a claim with my state's attorney general's office.

National Car Rental response

Maryanne, thank you for contacting the Social Team. All damage claims are handled by our Damage Recovery Unit. Please contact that team directly at 1-866-300-3239 or by email at CustomerClaimConcern@ehi.com. Thank you! – Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

I reserved a car at National on Phone at Tyler, Airport. When I went to pick car at the scheduled time, they said car was not available and the receptionist lady communicated with Hertz and referred to go to Hertz which said car available at higher rate for same size than rate reserved on phone. The disappointing part is I called back at reservation phone number who said car was available at Tyler, Airport location where we were booked. So I felt the receptionist lady was simply doing business to refer to different company and get the commission. I had to cancel my 4 days trip, important meetings, and a potential job position. They ruined my life. Incident: August 13, 2020. Really disappointed at the way they were handling their customer. The Receptionist lady was unwilling to hear anything and said that cars get taken quickly while the recalling the reservation still showed the cars availability.

National Car Rental response

Sarju, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

We were happy with the convenience and the friendliness of the National worker when we picked up the car at Denver Int’l, but when we dropped it off we were met with two rude and seemingly sexist men. Within 30 seconds of getting out of the car, my 20yr old daughter and I (mid 40’s female) were informed that we had put a dent/scrape on the car. I explained to the man that we had no incidents with the car whatsoever, and that there must be some record that the dent existed before we rented it. He called over his manager and both men were disrespectful, rushed, and condescending in their tone and attitude towards us. I have traveled with my husband (a mid 40’s businessman) many times and I get the unfortunate impression that if he had been with us, we wouldn’t have been accused of denting the car and we would’ve been treated more respectfully.

Incidentally, my husband says he has never even had his car inspected at the National drop off. When I inquired about any records that might show that the dent was already there, the manager said that all of that paperwork was inside and he would have to look at it. The obvious question is - why would he accuse a woman of denting the car if there might be evidence that the dent was already there? That is extremely poor customer service. I will never use National Car Rental again and will discourage my female friends from using their service. In the end, we were not charged for the dent in the car. Instead of looking through the car’s history to see if the dent was already there, the manager decided to save face and say that the dent was not large enough to charge us for it. He never apologized and never acknowledged that we were telling the truth.

Cindy,
    We’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@NationalCar.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us.
    Regards,

Carol H.

Original review: July 11, 2020

I call to get road service due to a mechanical issue, road service says, "Ok, we booked you a replacement car, go to location and pick up." I go to location, no record of me and to make it worse, no cars. I call road service back, they say, "Ok checking" and then hang up before finishing the where to go next, and no call back. I call back for the 3rd time, "Sorry everyone is closed, maybe you can fix it yourself." It's a good thing the car was still drivable, they offered no solutions and pretty much didn't seem to care... This will be my last rental with NATIONAL, to just say, "Sorry - we can't help you" is not acceptable and I will also be sure to spread the word to all 25,000 co-workers. "BEWARE RENTING FROM NATIONAL."

National Car Rental response

Jeffery, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: June 29, 2020

We purchased our rental through Allegiant. There were extra taxes and fees charged at the airport. The car was not cleaned well, none of them were. With covid 19 you would think they would be concerned about that. Thankfully I brought disinfecting wipes. We decided on National because their desk and cars were the closest to the terminal only to find they had moved, with very poor signage, to the back lot with Alamo. My mother in law has trouble with her knees and we wanted to keep the distance short for her. I did leave her at baggage and picked her up in the car. Upon returning at 3:30am it was unclear what lot we were supposed to go to until we turned into a lot that said National only to be greeted by a sign scribbling out National and telling us to go to another lot. We couldn't because the return lots have tire spikes at the exits.

I parked the car and the sign said to go to the alamo desk way at the end of the parking lot if there wasn't an attendant present. I and many other customers trekked to the desk only to find it closed. I walked back to the car, left the keys in it and took a picture of the poor signage and of the car parked in front of the not scribbled out National sign in front of the space it was parked in. A couple of days later I received a charge for an extra day. Apparently that's how long it took them to find the car in front of their sign. I called to have the charge removed and they told me they would have to put in a request for a refund and it would take a few days. Nothing. I called again a week later and this time they issued the refund on the spot so I guess they don't have to request it after all. They are dirty, stupid and will waste your time. This was my first and last time renting from them.

National Car Rental response

Leah, thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you'd like to speak with us directly, we're happy to review this with you. To do so please email Care@Nationalcar.com with your contact information, exact rental office location, rental contract information and the details above so we can address this situation. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I have left a handicapped placard after I returned my rental to DFW. I filed a lost and found and went to the rental car center about 1.5 weeks later. The people at the National refused to help and told me to go home and wait. Of course, their rule is that once you filed the Lost and Found you can also search the lost and found website to see if there's anything that matches and inquire. They did find a parking permit. After putting a request with the National Rental Website, I get an email to call the local DFW number or go to the rental center again. The number is essentially an unmanned since nobody ever picks up the phone. I went by the office and told them the item number. This time the personnel said that it was a handicapped placard that they found close to the day of my return, but of course he refused to return claiming that someone was coming to pick it. I asked him to check the number to make sure it was not my placard. Of course he didn't.

I emailed National again and each they sent the same email that DFW National Rental will respond. After almost 3 weeks still nothing. After going back and forth (more than 6-7 times), I get another email to call the number that is unmanned to check. So much for customer service. Because it is a handicapped placard, obviously National does not care about the ADA. I had to file a stolen placard with the police to get a new one. This blatant attempt at lying and at kicking the ball around ensure that I will never and will tell everyone to never rent from National. If you want accountability or respect, you will not get it from them. I'm one of those customers that rent about 2x and 3x a week. If this is how they treat a frequent renter, I can't even imagine how they would treat someone who rents occasionally.

National Car Rental response

Jennifer, when you file a lost item report the team at the airport lost and found team conducts a search to see if they have a match. When a match is placed in the system, you receive an email & phone to notify you your item has been found. From the email, you can chose to ship it back, pick it up or donate. Please continue to work with our DFW Lost & Found team. Thank you! - Carol H. http://bit.ly/29XDqVe

National Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

National Car Rental was the first company to offer one-way rentals, computerized reservations and a loyalty program. The company is now owned by Enterprise Holdings.

• Executive travel: National Car Rental focuses on providing white glove services to executive travelers, with Emerald Club options to skip the counter, choose any car from the Emerald Club Aisle and be on your way.

• Loyalty program: Customers who enroll for free in the Emerald Club enjoy benefits such as skipping the counter, choosing any car from an Emerald Aisle and applying rewards points to rental days or other travel rewards. Choose Free Rental Days or your favorite frequent traveler program.

• Convenient communication: With email, online, telephone and app connections, customers can make reservations more quickly than ever.

• Pay tolls electronically: Drivers pay a small daily fee plus the cost of tolls to use the TollPass electronic toll payments program, thus avoiding long cash lines and unpaid toll violations.

• Business programs: The National Business Rental Program for any size business offers travelers even more value, speed and convenience. The On The Go Meeting & Convention Program is for car rentals dedicated to the success of your meetings. They also offer Government programs, Military programs and association programs.

• Age: National will rent cars to drivers as young as 18 with a major credit card.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

National Car Rental Company Information