3.8/5 (157 ratings)

About National Car Rental

National Car Rental offers SUVs, cars, vans and trucks at more than 1,500 locations worldwide. Drivers can purchase roadside protection and supplemental liability protection for an extra cost. The Emerald Club program lets drivers enjoy an upgraded vehicle selection, free rental days, priority service and easy check-in and checkout.

National Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?

Resolution response: May 5, 2022

A receipt was finally sent after one week, 4 phone calls, and 3 reviews online!

Original review: May 4, 2022

As an Executive Elite customer you would think that returning a car would be a simple matter. A week AFTER the car was returned, it shows my rental is overdue and the branch hasn't/ won't close it out so that a receipt can be obtained. Four (4) phone calls have been made and I am told each day it has been escalated to the branch. I have never had anything happen like this in the past four years. Customer NO-service says they cant contact the branch in Orlando (MCO). After raising a stink, they magically can call the branch but only get voicemail. Their solution was to drive to a local branch (59 miles away) and they could possibly get it resolved. At this point, there is nothing else they say they can do. Unbelievable!!!

National Car Rental response

William, I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: April 7, 2022

She made my check in so seamless and I would definitely recommend this facility over and over again. Ontario has the best customer service and the best car selection, have to say though Bianca made it all worth it in the end.

National Car Rental response

Grace, thank you very much for the wonderful review! We're thrilled to hear Bianca made this a great experience for you! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 20, 2022

I brought National into my company due to Nationals rates and flexible terms. Now it's time for us to look for other options. They have begun charging, and change the corporate daily rates on existing contracts. When I picked up a car at one location and dropped off at another, even if the two air airports are just 69 miles apart. (GSP to CLT) they changed my rate. My weekly charge went from $222+ to over $470 for the rental, when since November of last year there has been no charge. It was certainly a shock to see my new bill.

Yesterday I rented at Nashville and was going to drop off at CLT. This time the upcharge was going to be an additional $19 per day and a drop off fee of $222. After renting the car I thought I would call and confirm there would not be an additional charge. They informed me the drop off charge would be $222 plus a change to my daily rate. So the net result for National was that my three week rental went to a two day rental and revenue of $666+ went to $68. Instead I booked a flight for $140 and a rented car from Avis.

Oh yes and the person on the escalation desk kept purposely trying to talk over me...that was never going to happen! Welcome to the new P&G. We all remember when P&G turned their backs on their customers, would not even change a ti x hi on a pallet for example, for the largest supermarket chain in Canada. Went from one of the most profitable corporations in the world to losing over $1 billion per year and gave rise to generic and no name products. Maybe it's time for a company to begin that just deals with corporate accounts in the auto rental industry.

National Car Rental response

V, any change to your open rental ticket may mean that additional charges are incurred. I recommend that you speak with your business accounts representative who will be able to address any recent changes to your account. If you'd like to speak with us directly about this, please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, reservation or rental agreement number, and the complete details. Thank you for your comments. - Carol H.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

BEWARE! STAY AWAY! I wish I could give zero stars. This was the worst experience I have ever had renting a car. Go anywhere else. National Oakland and corporate do not care about their customers at all. When we got in there was one car left. It was a minivan. We took it and started our hour drive to where we were staying. The car had a ton of electrical issues so we called National who said they were bringing us a new car. The tow truck driver showed up, took our car and said he would be back in an hour with our car. 2 hours later the tow company called and told us that there were no cars left and the manager would be calling me. NO ONE EVER CALLED ME.

We were Now stranded with lots of pay ahead reservations for our 10th anniversary trip. I called multiple times and kept either being transferred to their 3rd party roadside assistance or told I would get a call back. Then their 3rd party sent an Uber to drive us to another airport an hour away. They told me they called and a car was waiting for us. Well they had no cars when we got there and were now stranded at the airport. We asked to talk to a manager and were told he was on vacation. The guy from Budget saw how upset we were and rented us his last car. 48 hours later and still no call from National. Thanks for making our 10 Anniversary trip do stressful, costing us uber rides, and almost completely ruining our trip.

National Car Rental response

Lindsay, it's never our intention to disappoint a valued customer. I see my colleague has previously responded to your Facebook PM. Please continue to work with our team on Facebook for follow up. Kind regards. - Carol H.

Resolution response: Feb. 18, 2022

I am extremely grateful with Kaci ** for taking the time to discuss this matter with me. I am changing my rating due to the fact that prior to this incident, everyone has always been extremely nice and helpful.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

I don't usually complain, however, after the way I was treated by one of the employees at National Car Rental, when attempting to pick up my rental vehicle tonight, I felt the need to submit a complaint. I would hate for anyone else to go through the humiliation and mistreatment that I received tonight. This complaint may go back to the staff members at the Hobby Airport location and I am okay with that. I have been coming to rent vehicles from this location on a weekly basis for the past few months and I have always been treated fairly by all employees at this location, but tonight was the exception.

While trying to select the vehicle I would be renting, when walking by the luxury vehicles, a female employee approached me with a negative tone of voice, requesting to see my reservation number, I thought this was strange. I cooperated and gave her my phone that had the email with the reservation, I honestly felt discriminated when she informed me that no rental vehicles were available, before even looking at my reservation. My husband was with me and he informed her that we usually pick whichever car is available in the lot and have never experienced an issue before. She walked away and then came back, this time to asking to see my driver’s license, by then I was feeling strange about the situation; again, I have been coming to this location for months, every week and this has never happened before, not only was I questioned in a way that made me feel as if I was doing something wrong, but was approached in a negative way.

She left with my driver’s license and went to the office (I never go inside the office, I was always told by employees that I don't need to go inside the office, I just have to choose the rental vehicle and check out at the exit area). We walked in the office and asked if there was an issue, she replied that she had too many reservations and wanted to make sure she had a rental for me (The lot was full of vehicles, it always is on a Sundays). My husband then asked, if she did not have a vehicle for us? She replied that she did, but she needed to know what rental car we wanted. My husband replied, "My wife was looking to see which car was best fit, when you approached us, she has a business trip where other of her coworkers will be traveling with her, so it’s important that she finds a spacious, comfortable vehicle that will also be fuel efficient."

She asked again, "Okay, what car do you want, because I have all the luxury vehicles rented and I need to check if we have one available for you." My husband responded that the small volvo SUV, she left to "check" if the car was available and while she was gone, we asked the other two young ladies inside the office, what was the problem? They both made a face as if they were confused to why the lady was acting that way towards us, but did not make any comments (By the way, these two young ladies are always very nice and helpful). The lady came back and told us we could take the small SUV.

This was such a horrible experience, even though I did nothing wrong, I felt embarrassed about the whole situation. At the end of the day, I would have taken any of the “available” vehicles, it did not have to be a luxury vehicle, it is just the way that I was treated that I have a problem with. I never complain, but I need to stop letting people mistreat me based on my looks or ethnicity, yes, we did not look our best, it’s Sunday night and it’s cold, I am wearing comfy clothes to pick up a rental vehicle.

I understand that things happen, that maybe she did have the majority of the vehicles reserved. What I don’t understand, is why she approached me the way she did? Seemed personal, as if us looking at the vehicles was what really bothered her. Whatever the reason was, there is always a nice way to ask your customers for information. She could have approached me with a “good evening, is there anything I can help you with? By the way, just so you know, we are running low on vehicle availability, so just to make sure we are able to accommodate your reservation, can you tell me what kind of vehicle are you interested in?” I would have totally understood and not felt attacked. I am picking up my rental on a Sunday night at 10:30 p.m. and I am seeing the lot FULL (40+ vehicles) and I am being told that they don’t have availability? something is not right.

I am a member of the Emerald Club EXECUTIVE ELITE which states that you are always guaranteed a vehicle up to full-size and above, it also states that you receive free upgrades when reserving a midsize rate. Executive Area Access - Choose any car (Full-size and above) in the Executive Area and only pay the midsize rate. If this information is wrong, maybe the website needs to be corrected on the information that is given to their customers to avoid false advertising and issues like the one I encountered tonight. If the website is correct, then maybe this employee needs to learn her company policies and take a discrimination prevention training.

National Car Rental response

Yoana, I assure you it's never our intention to disappoint a valued customer. We would like to have the opportunity to look into this with you. Please email Care@Nationalcar.com include the exact rental location, your full name, email address, contact telephone number,Emerald Club ID, your rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. Kind regards. - Carol H.

Resolution response: Jan. 12, 2022

National Car Rental resolved the issue & I got all of my items back! I was so worried about the sentimentality of the items that I missed that on entire other bag that was left in the car! I hadn't been the one to pack the items, and I was sure that everything was in one bag & not two! I was the one in error, and am ecstatic that National followed through. I am truly grateful!!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I went through the proper channels to report a luggage bag left in the trunk of a car. The Salt Lake City Airport National Car Rental lost & found has no direct phone number. I had to stop in 4 times to finally acquire the bag that I knew was there. While I initially checked the bag once I picked it up, I briefly opened it up and it looked like everything was in place and thanked them profusely. Even though it was difficult to get the bag back, I was happy to see that it appeared intact. However, when I went to unpack the bag at home, I immediately noticed that several items had been removed. These were sentimental Christmas presents that a National employee intentionally stole from the bag. I am heart-broken & very disappointed & unless this is somehow resolved, will never use National Car Rental again.

National Car Rental response

Michael, we are thrilled to hear that our team was able to locate your items and return them to you promptly. Please don't hesitate to reach to us anytime if we can be of assistance. Kind Regards. - Carol H.

Resolution response: Jan. 5, 2022

Originally charged me a $900 drop fee for returning my car at a different location due to a COVID emergency. After posting on Consumer Affairs and several travel sites, they reduced drop fee to $350. Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

Our family rented a minivan in Florida. While there, my son tested positive for COVID. We left immediately to drive to Texas. JetBlue reimbursed our flight. National charged us a $900 “drop fee” to return the car to a different location. There was no allowance for a medical emergency, and seems this policy would encourage people to fly while infected, spreading COVID. We will take all future business elsewhere.

National Car Rental response

Renee, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details. We look forward to hearing from you soon. – Carol H.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

As an executive member who rents just about every week, the Atlanta Airport location was a disappointment last week when my car had a flat and roadside assistance failed to assure I made it to a safe location, fail to check on my safety, and charged me for the the rental after towing the vehicle. I had to hitchhike 80 miles back to Atlanta and pay a stranger for the ride. To top it off, no spare tire in the vehicle.

National Car Rental response

Carol, I apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

Arrived in Izmir with a reservation for a manual mini van, listed as sprinter. Man at the counter offered upgrade to an automatic mini van. Accepted the offer. We had to cross the street to gain access to the area where the car was. The car wasn’t clean and the right back door had a problem and the guy advised it was the only mini van and he would credit us on the return. Brought the car back and asked for the refund, he started yelling and threatening to call the cops, as we did not speak the language, we decided to leave and file a dispute. Send an email to National, never heard back. Called them and I was told to send a feedback on their website. No answer. Never again.

National Car Rental response

Julio, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Nationalcar.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. - Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

Updated on 11/10/2021: So someone from National contacted me after I posted my initial review and they were no help. All they did was check that national did not charge my card for anything other than my car rental. I know for a fact the person behind the desk at national car rental at the Mexico City airport took my card and walked in the back for 2 min then came back with the card. I'm 100% sure he took a picture of my card so that he could later make purchases. I want to advise people to be very careful and aware of where your card is at all times so that this does not happen to you. I know for a fact that this credit card I used to rent the vehicle was only used there, the rest of my trip I used cash to pay for things. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH NATIONAL CAR RENTAL. THEY WILL JUST CLAIM THAT IT WAS NOT THE COMPANY WHO MADE THE PURCHASES.

Original Review: The credit card I used to rent a Kia Sedona minivan and pre pay for the gas to be refilled on my return was only used at National Car Rental at the Mexico City airport. The rest of the trip I paid cash for everything. So I know they were the only company that had my credit card info. To find out the same day I returned the car they charged my card to purchase something online at Mac store for $297.67 which went through and tried to charge something for over $1,000 the next day which was blocked but the $297.67 went through so now I'm having to fight it with my credit card so I can get that money back. I never thought National car rental would ever allow something like this to happen. I'm very disappointed and won't ever rent a car with them again. I want a full refund for the car rental.

National Car Rental response

Cristian, we are happy to review this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

National Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

National Car Rental was the first company to offer one-way rentals, computerized reservations and a loyalty program. The company is now owned by Enterprise Holdings.

• Executive travel: National Car Rental focuses on providing white glove services to executive travelers, with Emerald Club options to skip the counter, choose any car from the Emerald Club Aisle and be on your way.

• Loyalty program: Customers who enroll for free in the Emerald Club enjoy benefits such as skipping the counter, choosing any car from an Emerald Aisle and applying rewards points to rental days or other travel rewards. Choose Free Rental Days or your favorite frequent traveler program.

• Convenient communication: With email, online, telephone and app connections, customers can make reservations more quickly than ever.

• Pay tolls electronically: Drivers pay a small daily fee plus the cost of tolls to use the TollPass electronic toll payments program, thus avoiding long cash lines and unpaid toll violations.

• Business programs: The National Business Rental Program for any size business offers travelers even more value, speed and convenience. The On The Go Meeting & Convention Program is for car rentals dedicated to the success of your meetings. They also offer Government programs, Military programs and association programs.

• Age: National will rent cars to drivers as young as 18 with a major credit card.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

National Car Rental Company Information