National Car Rental Reviews

About National Car Rental

National Car Rental offers SUVs, cars, vans and trucks at more than 1,500 locations worldwide. Drivers can purchase roadside protection and supplemental liability protection for an extra cost. The Emerald Club program lets drivers enjoy an upgraded vehicle selection, free rental days, priority service and easy check-in and checkout.

National Car Rental Reviews

Stars Rating

• 15%
  • 9%
  • 7%
  • 3%
  • 66%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?

Reviewed July 12, 2024

I would like to give a HUGE shout out to Daveon at the Dallas/Fort Worth airport location. My family and I had a long day of traveling, flights being delayed causing us to miss flights. It was well after midnight. We were tired and frustrated. Daveon took everything he had to make our experience great. He was very kind, attentive, and hard working! Thank Daveon for helping us out on such a stressful day.

Reviewed May 10, 2024

Always cheerful, my rental paperwork, is done when I get off the flight, and I always get the upgrade, even in busy summer months. And it gets packed in Myrtle Beach in summer. THANK YOU National. Much appreciated.

Pinned

Thank you for sharing those kind words about your experience, Deborah. We hope to see you again soon. –Chris R.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed Feb. 19, 2024

I was on a work trip to various towns and cities in MN, which I was unfamiliar with. National upgraded me at no extra cost knowing the potentially hazardous conditions in the hills and mountains I was unaware about.

Pinned

Hi Gisela, we are very happy to have provided you with such a positive experience. We hope to see you again soon. –Chris R.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed Sept. 25, 2023

I have a dozen car rentals with National over the last two years and they've been flawless. Their team is always well organized and courteous. All of the National team members I've encountered genuinely care to provide you with a great car rental experience. Not having to wait in line and them always having enough cars to fulfill an order has made car renting a lot easier. Highly recommend.

Your wonderful feedback means a lot to us! Thank you! - Chad

PriceStaff

Reviewed June 23, 2024

We had a very poor experience on car rental return in MAD where the employee used a spotlight to find a very small bullseye crack in windshield in contrast to the inspection of another car returned next to us which was done in 1/10 of the time. We did not hear any sound while driving that would have caused the issue. We have been charged over $1500 deductible in April for something that would cost less than $100 to repair with no indication when and even if the repair will be done and the actual. Very dissatisfied and feel that that this is a way to both charge insurance on rental cars and then claim damage for those who use credit card insurance with no intent to actually fix the damage.

Pinned

Hi Ian, we would like to look into this further but need some more information. Please email review@em.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Chris R.

StaffReliability

Reviewed May 21, 2024

TERRIBLE experience. I've been an Executive Elite/Emerald member and loyal National customer for nearly a decade, I am utterly appalled by the unacceptable experience I had while renting at the Newark Airport location. Not only was I provided a vehicle with a severe safety hazard - a slow tire leak that could have caused a blowout on the highway with my infant son in the car - but the staff knowingly rented me this defective vehicle despite being aware of the issue.

What's more, I faced attempted overcharging, poor resolution from management who refused to provide a refund after my requests, and unprofessional conduct from a person claiming to be a manager named "Joe" who threatened to place me on a "do not rent" list based on false accusations of pressuring staff for discounts. As someone who has always treated National employees with the utmost respect, I am absolutely appalled by this experience. National carelessly jeopardized my family's safety for their own financial gain. The blatant disregard for my family's wellbeing is inexcusable.

Pinned

Hi Chris, we would like to look into this further but need some more information. Please email review@em.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –CR

Customer ServiceContract & TermsStaff

Reviewed April 29, 2024

This was my first and it will be my last experience with National Car Rental. I joined the Emerald member program and booked a reservation using a corporate discount code. With this code and as an Emerald member, I was supposed to receive any vehicle I wanted from the Emerald Aisle as well as free additional drivers for family members. When I got to the arrived at Richmond International Airport, I was lied to and manipulated into getting a lesser vehicle. My daughter was to be added at no additional cost and I was told I would be charged $15 per day for her. All of these were lies.

Once we requested the car swapped for what we were supposed to receive, this person identifying herself as the manager (which I found out later was a lie) named Melissa **; she refused to help us; was belligerent and combative and on a power trip; and then had the audacity to tell me, if I called in to National to complain, we would not get any rental car that day indicating that she had the power to deny us any vehicle at her will.

This is despite having an already paid for and executed agreement. She was ignorant of the contract terms, told us lies, misrepresented herself and National Car Rental; and approached us with no comprehension of the National terms clearly specified in our contract and with a level of overt aggression and hostility that she needs to find a different line of work. I will never rent from National again as I have rented for years from Hertz, Avis, Alamo, Payless and Enterprise for decades and never had this level of foolishness in a rental in all my experience. I do not recommend using National Car Rental and I highly recommend avoiding the Rental Counter at Richmond International Airport. Our party was disrespected, mistreated and belittled and THAT is not acceptable.

Pinned

Hi Karen, we would like to know more about your experience. Please email the details to review@em.com and include the rental location, rental agreement or reservation number and your contact information. Thank you. –Chris R.

Customer Service

Reviewed April 25, 2024

The experience was awful. Vehicle stop working. Would not start. Roadside assistance took over 12 hours. Called at 8pm and they showed up at 11am. Would not provide a replacement. Out of town woman stranded at a hotel and their customer service was a joke. No one would help.

Pinned

Hi Walter, we would like to know more about your experience. Please email the details to review@em.com and include the rental location, rental agreement or reservation number and your contact information. Thank you. –Chris R.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed April 23, 2024

Always out of cars. I'm an Executive member and at major airports they are consistently out of cars. I can go Hertz- cars available. I can go Avis- cars available. I can go Alamo- cars available. But National- "Sorry, your location is sold out. Try nearby locations." No, how about you try to have cars on hand. COVID is over. Do better National.

Pinned

We're listening and would like to know more, Steven. At your convenience, please email review@em.com with your contact information, reservation number and the details of your experience. Thank you. –Chris R.

Customer Service

Reviewed April 21, 2024

I have Executive Elite status with National and I rented a car at Will Rogers airport in OKC and was driving from OKC to Tulsa on the turnpike (44) when my rear tire blew out. I immediately pulled over and contacted National Roadside Assistance (NRA). NRA refused to help me because I was on the OK turnpike. They said they would send assistance but after waiting hours on the side of the TP in 85 deg temp and calling back several times they said they could only provide me with the phone number for the turnpike authority. That’s it! That’s the extent of their assistance! If fact, when I refused to accept this they simply hung up on me SEVERAL TIMES! I had to call 911 and get a State Trooper to help me get a tow to a tire shop and then pay $187 out of my own pocket to put the donut on so I could drive to the Tulsa airport to exchange the vehicle. Unbelievable bad service for a loyal customer!

Pinned

Hi Daniel, we would like to look into this further but need some more information. Please email review@em.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Chris R.

National Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

National Car Rental was the first company to offer one-way rentals, computerized reservations and a loyalty program. The company is now owned by Enterprise Holdings.

• Executive travel: National Car Rental focuses on providing white glove services to executive travelers, with Emerald Club options to skip the counter, choose any car from the Emerald Club Aisle and be on your way.

• Loyalty program: Customers who enroll for free in the Emerald Club enjoy benefits such as skipping the counter, choosing any car from an Emerald Aisle and applying rewards points to rental days or other travel rewards. Choose Free Rental Days or your favorite frequent traveler program.

• Convenient communication: With email, online, telephone and app connections, customers can make reservations more quickly than ever.

• Pay tolls electronically: Drivers pay a small daily fee plus the cost of tolls to use the TollPass electronic toll payments program, thus avoiding long cash lines and unpaid toll violations.

• Business programs: The National Business Rental Program for any size business offers travelers even more value, speed and convenience. The On The Go Meeting & Convention Program is for car rentals dedicated to the success of your meetings. They also offer Government programs, Military programs and association programs.

• Age: National will rent cars to drivers as young as 18 with a major credit card.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, The Car Coach®, is a nationally recognized automotive expert, sector analyst, journalist, author, keynote speaker and television host. A trusted car expert, Lauren provides an insider’s perspective on a wide range of automotive topics and aspects, energy, industry, consumer news and safety issues. Her analysis is honest and straightforward. Lauren is the CEO of Automotive Aspects and the Editor-in-Chief of Car Coach Reports, a global automotive news outlet. She is an automotive contributor to national and local television news shows including Fox News, Fox Business, CNN International, The Weather Channel, Inside Edition, Local Now News, NewsMax, The Daily Flash show and more.

National Car Rental Company Information