3.3/5 (154 ratings)

About National Car Rental

National Car Rental offers SUVs, cars, vans and trucks at more than 1,500 locations worldwide. Drivers can purchase roadside protection and supplemental liability protection for an extra cost. The Emerald Club program lets drivers enjoy an upgraded vehicle selection, free rental days, priority service and easy check-in and checkout.

National Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?

Resolution response: Jan. 12, 2022

National Car Rental resolved the issue & I got all of my items back! I was so worried about the sentimentality of the items that I missed that on entire other bag that was left in the car! I hadn't been the one to pack the items, and I was sure that everything was in one bag & not two! I was the one in error, and am ecstatic that National followed through. I am truly grateful!!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I went through the proper channels to report a luggage bag left in the trunk of a car. The Salt Lake City Airport National Car Rental lost & found has no direct phone number. I had to stop in 4 times to finally acquire the bag that I knew was there. While I initially checked the bag once I picked it up, I briefly opened it up and it looked like everything was in place and thanked them profusely. Even though it was difficult to get the bag back, I was happy to see that it appeared intact. However, when I went to unpack the bag at home, I immediately noticed that several items had been removed. These were sentimental Christmas presents that a National employee intentionally stole from the bag. I am heart-broken & very disappointed & unless this is somehow resolved, will never use National Car Rental again.

National Car Rental response

Michael, we are thrilled to hear that our team was able to locate your items and return them to you promptly. Please don't hesitate to reach to us anytime if we can be of assistance. Kind Regards. - Carol H.

Resolution response: Jan. 5, 2022

Originally charged me a $900 drop fee for returning my car at a different location due to a COVID emergency. After posting on Consumer Affairs and several travel sites, they reduced drop fee to $350. Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

Our family rented a minivan in Florida. While there, my son tested positive for COVID. We left immediately to drive to Texas. JetBlue reimbursed our flight. National charged us a $900 “drop fee” to return the car to a different location. There was no allowance for a medical emergency, and seems this policy would encourage people to fly while infected, spreading COVID. We will take all future business elsewhere.

National Car Rental response

Renee, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details. We look forward to hearing from you soon. – Carol H.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

As an executive member who rents just about every week, the Atlanta Airport location was a disappointment last week when my car had a flat and roadside assistance failed to assure I made it to a safe location, fail to check on my safety, and charged me for the the rental after towing the vehicle. I had to hitchhike 80 miles back to Atlanta and pay a stranger for the ride. To top it off, no spare tire in the vehicle.

National Car Rental response

Carol, I apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

Arrived in Izmir with a reservation for a manual mini van, listed as sprinter. Man at the counter offered upgrade to an automatic mini van. Accepted the offer. We had to cross the street to gain access to the area where the car was. The car wasn’t clean and the right back door had a problem and the guy advised it was the only mini van and he would credit us on the return. Brought the car back and asked for the refund, he started yelling and threatening to call the cops, as we did not speak the language, we decided to leave and file a dispute. Send an email to National, never heard back. Called them and I was told to send a feedback on their website. No answer. Never again.

National Car Rental response

Julio, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Nationalcar.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. - Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

Updated on 11/10/2021: So someone from National contacted me after I posted my initial review and they were no help. All they did was check that national did not charge my card for anything other than my car rental. I know for a fact the person behind the desk at national car rental at the Mexico City airport took my card and walked in the back for 2 min then came back with the card. I'm 100% sure he took a picture of my card so that he could later make purchases. I want to advise people to be very careful and aware of where your card is at all times so that this does not happen to you. I know for a fact that this credit card I used to rent the vehicle was only used there, the rest of my trip I used cash to pay for things. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH NATIONAL CAR RENTAL. THEY WILL JUST CLAIM THAT IT WAS NOT THE COMPANY WHO MADE THE PURCHASES.

Original Review: The credit card I used to rent a Kia Sedona minivan and pre pay for the gas to be refilled on my return was only used at National Car Rental at the Mexico City airport. The rest of the trip I paid cash for everything. So I know they were the only company that had my credit card info. To find out the same day I returned the car they charged my card to purchase something online at Mac store for $297.67 which went through and tried to charge something for over $1,000 the next day which was blocked but the $297.67 went through so now I'm having to fight it with my credit card so I can get that money back. I never thought National car rental would ever allow something like this to happen. I'm very disappointed and won't ever rent a car with them again. I want a full refund for the car rental.

National Car Rental response

Cristian, we are happy to review this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

SIX phone calls in the last week, that's how I'll begin this review. I started using National for business travel, and was relatively pleased with my initial experience. The line at the counter was practically non-existent in the Car Rental terminal of PHX while the line for the AVIS counter was a mile long...but now I understand why. The car was also fantastic, but the negative experiences all come in with trying to set up a rewards account and apply my reservations to it.

I was originally unable to create a rewards account in the rental terminal of PHX because, despite adding all my payment information, the both the app and the website continually refused it. Problem is, they never told me it was refused or why -- nothing happened and I couldn't proceed. So I continue on with my rental as-is, thinking I'd be able to add a rewards account to it as I returned the car or just after. The car return was easy but did not give me the opportunity to speak with anyone regarding my rewards account, so I tried to call Customer Service, which is absolutely useless even if you are a rewards member or business traveler. This is where I have made SIX phone calls in the last week, been told something different every time, and never had anything happen afterward.

First contact said they didn't know what was going on but there were no recorded issues, try again later. I asked for a case number or something to reference next time I called, but apparently nothing existed or it was "internal". So fine, I called again a few hours later. Second contact tried to say the same thing as the first, but I had already tried again later -- I needed actual information. He hung up on me, even though I was perfectly pleasant throughout the interaction.

The next morning was contact #3, and they said there WAS work being done with the website, so try again later (remember, I had been trying for about a week on my own to simply open an account). In the end, I had to try opening a rewards account at AVIS simply to have it tell me the card was the problem. Using another card with National (Why???) worked, at which point I was able to create an account, add the card I'd been trying to use, and delete the personal card. What a hassle.

Fast forward a few days, it's now Friday (almost a week since I returned the last rental). Now that I've finally created an account I would like to take the reservation that I had just completed less than a week ago and have it applied to my National Emerald Club account. It's the least they could do for all the hassle right? No, I call and he has to "submit a request to see if it will be approved", even though the only reason I couldn't apply this initially was because of THEIR app. I also needed to add an existing, UPCOMING reservation to my account, which he claims he did, but when I didn't see it populate by Monday I called back. This person told me I needed to contact the travel agent that set up the reservation for me. What...the actual...? Why did the person on Friday tell me it was added then?

All of this experience out of one completed rental, and a second upcoming which I may just decide to switch vendors for. The cars at National are great, the wait for at least the one airport was fantastically non-existent, but don't expect them to care once they have your money.

National Car Rental response

Tim, we're disappointed to hear this and are happy to take a look at this for you. At your convenience, please email Care@Nationalcar.com with the details above, your full name, email address, telephone number, Emerald Club id, and any rental agreement numbers so we can look into this promptly. - Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

I used them a number of times in the past 2 years. The ONLY rental company I will ever deal with who has always had awesome price, selection, and service. The on-site employees and those at the toll-free customer service are the best!

National Car Rental response

Harry, your recommendation means so much to us and we're so happy to have earned it. Our teams strive to deliver an excellent experience, and we're glad you've found this to be the case If you have further needs or questions, please reach out!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

1. Few years ago, rented a Tiguan in Calgary AB Canada. Breakdown in Las Vegas Nevada. Staff did not know to manually enter info, because car was rented out of USA. Lost $500.00 prescription glasses, because staff made us change vehicles twice. Staff was more interested in returns, than helping us! Then supervisor finally showed up, and we were given a van to continue on holidays.

2. Today, wanted to use my Emerald Card free rental points. Was informed by "Mary" could only rent a Intermediate, through economy cars only. I informed Mary, I have always rented standard SUVs, or larger, because I am a big guy, and I cannot fit in small vehicles. I informed Mary, I am willing to pay the extra $10.00 (Approximately, plus taxes etc.). Mary said can't be done. I have requested someone from National Head Office, contact me tomorrow. Mary stated someone will contact me tomorrow. Let's see if National can accommodate me with this minor issue.

Pete

National Car Rental response

Pete, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

This company double charged the full cost of my 4 day rental. The customer service I've received has been nothing short of horrible and nonexistent. The result was that I couldn't check into my hotel out of state. They're still holding my money after promising it would be resolved yesterday within 25 minutes. Don't book with these people!

National Car Rental response

Reese, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations we would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Nationalcar.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Resolution response: Aug. 29, 2021

I was able to resolved this issue.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

If I could give 0 starts, I would. The vehicle provided to me was smaller than the size promised on the website. Also, the car had an awful odor that made the trip extremely unpleasant. However, the biggest disappointment were when roaches started appearing from everywhere as the car had a roach infestation. I have visual proof of the issues mentioned above. After letting customer service from the branch known my concerns, the representative informed me that the branch manager would contact me. However, I was never approached by anyone. As a result, I find myself quite dissatisfied with your customer service.

National Car Rental response

Yani, thank you for your review. We are committed to maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness today and every day. If those standards were not met we’d like to speak with you to learn more. At your convenience, please email Care@Nationalcar.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. - Carol H.

National Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

National Car Rental was the first company to offer one-way rentals, computerized reservations and a loyalty program. The company is now owned by Enterprise Holdings.

• Executive travel: National Car Rental focuses on providing white glove services to executive travelers, with Emerald Club options to skip the counter, choose any car from the Emerald Club Aisle and be on your way.

• Loyalty program: Customers who enroll for free in the Emerald Club enjoy benefits such as skipping the counter, choosing any car from an Emerald Aisle and applying rewards points to rental days or other travel rewards. Choose Free Rental Days or your favorite frequent traveler program.

• Convenient communication: With email, online, telephone and app connections, customers can make reservations more quickly than ever.

• Pay tolls electronically: Drivers pay a small daily fee plus the cost of tolls to use the TollPass electronic toll payments program, thus avoiding long cash lines and unpaid toll violations.

• Business programs: The National Business Rental Program for any size business offers travelers even more value, speed and convenience. The On The Go Meeting & Convention Program is for car rentals dedicated to the success of your meetings. They also offer Government programs, Military programs and association programs.

• Age: National will rent cars to drivers as young as 18 with a major credit card.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

National Car Rental Company Information