Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.26/5

266 National Car Rental Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 14, 2019

National Rental Car is one of the vendors my employer prefers when employees rent cars for work travel. Because I rent cars for months at a time, I signed up for the rewards program. When I rent for work, I use the company corporate card, which provides company insurance for rental car; for personal rentals, I use my own card. Somehow, in the my profile, the personal card became my "preferred" card. When I would rent for work, I would reserve with the corporate card and present that card at check-out, but I would soon see pending charges on the personal card for the work rental. This happened several times. At first, I thought I had given them the wrong card, but the second time I knew I hadn't. I removed the personal card from my profile to keep this from happening again.

But, I reserved car for personal use just now, and wanted to use free days for some of the rental, and entered the personal card information. And sure enough, the personal card was added to my profile, and made the "preferred" card again, without my permission or my indicating that I wanted this done. Once again, I removed the card, but I expect it will reappear when I actually pick up the car. I don't know why this company can't use the card information they are given at the time of the rental and leave the profile alone. For the two company rentals that were put on the wrong card, I spent a lot of time fixing the problem, even showing up in person at the New Orleans Airport on one occasion. It is ridiculous. Retail stores don't charge cards you own but don't give them, so why does National Rental Car? If you have more than one card in your profile, be sure they charge the correct one.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I rented a vehicle out of Tampa International Airport. Upon returning the vehicle I had to board a plane to head to my next job. I noticed that I left my headphones inside the car about 30 minutes after drop off. I immediately called, filed a claim and attempted to find a way to contact the lost and found in Tampa. Due to the fact that I had to wait on the processing of everything for a lost and found claim, my property is lost in a void of constantly being told to keep checking on the status of my claim. If I could have spoken to lost and found directly then I could have retrieved my items.

Instead I am always told to wait for the email. I understand it’s my responsibility to keep my things in order, however, the long process cost me an item that was over $200 dollars as well. I’ve been using National for such a long time and it pains me to see that if a misplacement is made, then you pretty much have to deal with it and face the fact that it’s lost for good. And I’m willing to bet that the headphones that have been turned in during the last 2 weeks at the Tampa location definitely did not cost over 200 dollars. This incident happened on May 14, 2019.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Hello Consumers - I regret to inform you that this is a complaint message. I had a reservation to rent a car at the Springfield, MO National Rental Car location last night. My Commerce card was authorized $278. However, I was told that it declined. When I found out the total was $478 and that it was the additional $200 that declined, I offered my Capital One card. It was then authorized $200, then $278. Then an additional $356 and $478 were declined. However, I was told that this card too had declined. I was advised to call my credit card company which I did. That is when I was told of the authorizations and was even given approval numbers by my bank for those transactions. I wrote them on a post-it note and the National associate refused it.

The Springfield National associates that were present refused to show that my cards declined nor research to locate the authorizations. I suggested they contact supervisors and seek out tech support to understand and rectify the situation. Both of my credit card companies tried speaking with the National associates explaining that they could reverse the authorizations or that they could contact their bank to release the holds on my cards. There was NO willingness to assist me.

I have since spoken to many people between National, Commerce, and Capital One. National has been the only one not willing to assist me nor has even offered an apology. Commerce on my behalf contacted Erica ** at Enterprise and Commerce who then became shocked by Erica's unwillingness released the $278 hold on my card. However, the rules are different for Capital One.

Let me summarize - I sat at the National desk from 5 pm to 9 pm last night begging for assistance as $700 of my money was holding due to authorizations yet I had no rental car. This means I was unable to get on the highway at 6 am this morning to head to Indiana which is over 8 hours away to attend a funeral. In addition, I have no funds to come up with an alternate plan. I am not mad. I am heartbroken because 1) I really needed to be there for the funeral and 2) I have never been so mistreated by a company or any person before in my life. Why am I continuing to be penalized by an employee's mistake? I really need my money released. Please. I will have another sleepless night knowing that on tomorrow, my best friend will bury her Mother without my support. I am so heartbroken and National Car Rental is officially to blame.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I rented a car through Enterprise to which National is the parent company. I picked up the car at Tampa Airport to drive to St Pete Beach and exchange vehicles the next morning as this was a cheaper alternative than keeping the same one from the airport. When I got to St Pete they asked me if I wanted to keep the same vehicle, I said sure and drove off in the same vehicle. When I received my email billing it showed that I had a $75 fee for relocating as well as a $8.95 fee for the same. I made two phone calls while still in Florida and visited the st. Pete Beach location in order to at least question and or rectify the situation. They said they could not do anything with regards to my issue at that point and it all stems from the Tampa location which I was unable to speak to directly according to National.

I have now made five phone calls all of which ended with someone saying the company would get back to me which has never happened once. The last call ended in a promise that I would be reimbursed for at least the $75 and then offered 2 free days of rental usage. Neither of those have materialized at this point. I believe it is ridiculous for them to charge me these fees when I never changed vehicles and I returned the original vehicle back to the airport from whence it came. And it is even more ridiculous that they have zero regard for trying to resolve this very reasonable issue.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Just experienced one of the most unpleasant experience when returned the car at this center-located across of the airport. Standard SUV - charges as a full size SUV because the car was returned at a different center then pick up center. When I checked the price difference for returning the car to a different center than where the car was picked up, it was like 257 CAD instead of about 157 or something like that. For a customer who rented hundreds of time from this company looks like a robbery and I am wondering if this are National rental values or this it’s just a particular franchise scam?! When asked about the price-the usual polite and courteous national customer Service rep wasn’t polite at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?

Original review: May 3, 2019

I had rented a car in Puerto Rico. I drove to my hotel and went inside. A kid in his dad's car drove into my rental and when I came outside he produced his driver's license and insurance. Police attended and took a report. I immediately returned the car for a undamaged one and was assured that I should not worry. Two months later I received a bill for 800 USD for damage saying an investigation had found that I was at fault. Every time I phoned or wrote the company I would get the form letter saying I was at fault. The kid had admitted he struck my legally parked vehicle and the police took a report but National still billed my credit card. Unfair and despicable company. We will never use them again. I forbid my employees from using them for company business. Please boycott National.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I have had Executive status with National for many years but did not realize I missed the target to hit Executive again last year. The marketing emails I continue to receive from National still state I have Exec status. I chose a car from the Executive aisle, drove out, and received a $312 charge from National for a one-day rental! When I called to understand what happened, National said "sorry, it is on you to know what your status is". Being able to choose whichever car you want seems great but watch out, if you happen to make a mistake (after being misled by National as to what your status is), they will gladly hit you with an exorbitant charge and tell you "tough luck" when you call to explain your case.

Chris,
We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email us with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly.
Thank you.

– Carol H.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Upon returning the car to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport National Car Rental returns and jumping on the Airport bus to catch our flight, my wife realized that she had left her coat in the rental car. When we arrived at the airport, 10 minutes later she contacted the National Car Rental lost and found and created a lost return number with National which they require if you want to converse with them.

After not hearing from them for a day I called and was lucky enough to actually speak with someone. She told us there was no jacket that matched our description and to wait a few days before calling back as some items aren't found right away. Over the next 3 weeks we have left 6 messages because it goes to a recorded message after about 5 minutes of waiting for a live body. The recording says they will return the call by the next day and not one call has ever been returned. We noticed on the website that there were 4 jackets found the day we left but you have no way of knowing if they are yours or not. We know that the coat was left in the car so obviously they have some light fingered people working for them. The coat comes up as not found when we query the lost item number. We are Executive members of National but will be going to a different company when we return to Phoenix.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Updated on 03/25/2019: Someone responded to my initial Google review (January 2019) with the exact information and when I sent my detailed complaint to that email, I was advised that the email was for National Alamo US airport issues only. I have forwarded the detailed email to the Canadian counterpart TWICE. I have yet to receive a response and it’s been two months now. This response will be my next posting on Consumer Affairs.

Original review: I rented a car for a week. When I returned the car, they accused me of scratching underneath the driver’s side bumper. Unfortunately, neither the agent nor I got on our knees to look underneath the bumper when inspected initially. Long story short, because it wasn’t mentioned initially, I had no recourse but to pay for the damage that I am certain I did not do. My thoughts are that this is a scam they pull on unsuspecting women. Evidently $117 for a week’s car rental was not enough for them. Never again will I rent from these people with their very questionable business practices. Warning to others, inspect your rental car down to underneath the bumpers.

Corinna,
We’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email including the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us.

Carol H.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I am a senior citizen who returned a rental van after a few hours of use. The attendant/manager did a quick visual inspection of the van and then we went to the office to complete the transaction and payment. He rose from his chair and said he wanted to check something else. I sat in the chair while he went outside... My mistake. He returned and said there was minor bumper damage and I followed him to investigate. He had rubbed dirt off the bumper and pointed to a roughly 3 inch by one half inch by one quarter inch deep depression on the left rear bumper. I was shocked... I insisted that there was no easy this could have happened. He said he disliked disputes of this nature. He said he would call his home office and get advice.

I was shocked... I left the small agency and quickly returned to take a photo with my cell camera and asked him to sign the agreement regarding a brief nature of the damage. He said the cost would be very little and he would get back to me. Meanwhile I called my Visa and found that vans were not insured. I visited my insurance broker who said my deductible would be $400 and advised me to call my insurer. The National agent said he would get an ICBC assessment and get back to me. In the interim I was issued a new Visa card.

Previously the posted $500 damage deposit and the rental charge disappeared from my Visa account. I presumed that National had decided not to proceed. Yesterday, after one month after my rental day on January 23, the National agent called me and accused me of canceling my credit card and threatened to call a collection agent. He said the entire rear bumper would have to be removed and/or replaced and he found a cheaper repair agent that would do it for $800. I told him I thought this was a scam and I would oppose it. I asked him to mail the pertinent paperwork including the ICBC damage assessment and I would contact my insurer. How can I defend myself against National?

Ernest,

Carol H.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Let me start by saying, I'm an Executive Elite member, I travel a lot for work and am (well, used to be) a very loyal National customer. Not anymore... When I arrived, they greeted me like normal, very friendly, offered water and pointed me in the right direction. The trouble started when I was trying to check out. I recently moved states, and to get my new drivers license they invalidated my old license and provided me paperwork for the new license. (Standard practice in all states) I was to carry both with me. Which had never been a problem before, in fact, I had rented from National (not this location) 5 times since getting my temporary license.

When I arrived at the checkout window, the woman was very nice, asked to see my temp license as well as my old one. She said that she didn't know how to enter the info in and went to talk to management. This probably took about 20 minutes. When she came back, she said they wouldn't accept because a number wasn't written on the DL # section of the temp license. She said I had to go speak to management. So, I backed up and went to talk to the manager. He said that he couldn't accept because the DL number was not on the papers. I told him I didn't have one yet (just moved to a new state). He didn't seem to care. I asked him to talk to his manager - so he left - and was gone for a good 30 minutes before coming back, and saying his manager agreed, they would not rent to me because of my temp license.

I'm not convinced he did talk to his manager. His manager never spoke to me. (Note: I later called the Minnesota DL office and asked about this - they said that a DL# had not yet been assigned to me because my DL had not yet been processed all the way... My papers are valid!). Basically, I wasted an hour trying to rent from them with the right paperwork. Moving out of state is hard enough without National wasting an hour of my time... I ended up renting from Avis, who, guess what, accepted my paperwork, just like National had previously in Chicago, Amarillo 3x's and Minneapolis. Guess I'll just get status at Avis now...

Gemma,

Carol H.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have booked a car from CABO SAN LUCAS DOWNTOWN for today. Our concierge called them yesterday and they agreed to deliver the car to our hotel at 11 AM this morning. When they didn't show up, our concierge called them and they just said they don't have any car available!!! I called them myself and they told me the same thing. They didn't even bother to call us to let us know that they are not bringing any car and they didn't offer anything for ruining our vacation!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have used National for the convince and many locations at airports for travel over a year and it only takes one bad experience to ruin a reputation. I lost a jacket of significant value in the BNA Airport and contacted National within 20 minutes to let them know. After being assure it would be in the lost and found within a day or two. I went ahead as I was already through security and didn't want to miss my flight. Now a week later and several attempts to get updates I'm being told that the car is gone and no reports of this missing.

I am 100 percent sure it was in the front passenger seat of the car laying back down. National was not concerned as they continued to give me the just keep checking the site answer. Not we have sent an individual to check the car. Honesty is something that matters to me as well as doing what's right but if you leave anything of value in their cars do not expect to see it again. As they have very low expectations for their staff and will not go out of the way to help customers if it does not benefit the company.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I went online on National Car's Canada website and inquired about renting a car from National Car Rental in North Vancouver, BC. It was for one day and the cost was around $40 for returning it at the same location. I checked to see how much it would cost to return it at the airport instead and it was around $50 more. I went to the location and decided to rent it for one day and return it to the same location.

The next day I found out I couldn't get a ride to the airport so I decided to return it to the airport instead assuming it would only cost me an additional $50. When I returned it to the airport, the representative there told me it would cost me a total of $383! So, instead of costing me $50 more, it ended up costing me over $300 more!

I tried contacting the North Vancouver location the next day but couldn't get through. So, I called the general customer service number and talked to someone there who was going to try to get me a credit of around $$215 and it was going to take about 3 to 7 days. A week went by and I still did not get any credit. So, I called back and the representative transferred me to the North Vancouver location. I explained the whole situation to the person and he said the charges are valid according to their terms and conditions. If I had called beforehand to change the drop off location, then I wouldn't have got charged all the extra fees.

I explained that I didn't know about the terms and conditions and that I should've called beforehand and was asking for a one time exception to give me a refund for the $215 that the first representative was going to give me. He didn't seem to care and said he would talk to his superior and email me later. I got an email a few days later and they agreed to only give me a $50 refund. So, even after the $50 refund, I ended up paying almost $300 in extra charges. That is totally unacceptable and I will never rent from National Car again. Their customer service is the worst I have ever experienced at a car rental agency.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was in dire need of a car rental. Went to National on 11/24/18 at BWI airport. Rented a standard size SUV on 11/24 at 8:41 pm. Returned the vehicle at Harrisburg International Airport on 11/25/18 at 11:44 am. THEY CHARGED ME $315.34!!! For less than 24 hours. This vehicle was driven from Baltimore, MD to Harrisburg, PA. I do recommend Hertz. They have been very positive to work with.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I rented a car at the National Great Falls location, in July 2018. I have yet to have heard a reply as if the following is a good example of how you want your customers treated: I rented a car from National, for business. I paid for the complete insurances, as the car rental agent told me that my American Express would not cover for every event I might encounter. I was told I was covered for everything if I paid for the insurances via J.E Car Rental. Well, I lost the keys.

Apparently lost keys are not covered by insurances. I understood that it was my fault. But even if it was my fault, I was expecting some kind of help to resolve the situation. I had absolutely no help. Employee on the phone when I called was unprofessional and the manager told me: "You lost the keys. It’s your problem, fix it." Then hung up!!! Hung up!!! I called back and asked if I could get the car towed to Great Falls and pay the rental until the keys would make it to the car rental station. She refused. She said if I towed the car there she would refuse for the car to enter the parking lot. Because of the manager's refusal to help, I had to extend my stay for 5 days more, re-book plane tickets, miss a conference in San Antonio I had prepaid for, in order to wait for the key fob to arrive.

As a summary, all in all, she made a small mistake turn into a full fledge traumatic, much more costly than it should have been nightmare. Again I was taking full responsibility for my mistake. But I was provided no help by the National manager and she made it much worst than it needed to be. To make matters worst, I got a phone call today saying I needed to pay for a key fob. I already bought and replaced the lost key fob. What more is wanted from me? I already bought the key and fob! That is extortion!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Rented a car from National and left my Surface Pro in the back of the car. A lady there confirmed she had it and what was in the laptop bag... After 37 phone calls over a period of 4 days trying to get a tracking number and no one ever getting back to me my laptop arrived... still with no communication from anyone... Opened the box and my laptop is shattered as if a car drove over it, as well as the laptop bag damaged and the hard drive and remote. I phoned customer service to tell them what had happened and they told me it was not them that did it must have happened in transit which is not possible as the box is not damaged and the laptop was in bubble wrap and it does not explain the tears in the laptop bag... I have never written a review on a company in my life this is my experience with National. Again they refuse to help at all.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I arrived at DFW on 10/26/18 around 6:40 pm on a business trip. I processed to pick up my rental, I advised the agent my driver's license is laminated because it was cracked. The agent said NO, I advised her I can take it out but I don’t want any more damage to happen. I took it out and as I said it cracked more, she then said, "NO. We can’t take it." I asked for a manager after 10 minutes she said yes. No apology or anything rude customer service reps. I have advise my company of this issue so going forward we will not use National Car Rental again...

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Recently rented a car from National at Halifax airport. There was a long and complicated problem preventing my rental (from previous rental in Hamilton Ontario with Enterprise). The staff in Halifax were patient courteous and professional. Thanks so much for making my day better.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I'm so discouraged after reading these. I've been renting through National for quite a while. I basically rent every week for work. Last week I left a portable charger and Bluetooth headphones in the back seat. I'm 150% positive I left them there. And I do understand that it's my responsibility - I do take ownership of the fact that I left expensive items in the car. I called National as soon as I got to my next destination (I didn't realize until I was on the plane), I filled out the lost items form and when I arrived back Sunday to rent my next car I spoke with a Manager about it who said they'd check the lost and found that week and get back to me.

They didn't get back to me - so when I dropped the car off a manager went back and checked for me - of course the items are not there. Thought I really have had good service with National and I like their cards, I can't in good conscious rent from a company that allows thieves to work for them. They have NO way of tracking who cleans the cars, who moves the cars... of course they don't. Because if they did, they would have to fire employees for theft. Apparently they aren't interested in knowing who the dishonest employees in their company are...

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

One-day business trip, Vancouver Airport Rental Agreement (RA) made for one day on June 12, 2018. I signed with the clerk the RA and got the car. I returned the car on the same day and I have been charged $84.61 for one day trip. One week later, I checked my credit card statement and I saw the charge of $84.61. From this point, I closed this chapter thinking everything is good.

To my surprise, a charge of $621.68 appeared on July 5 with no trace of the first charge. No luck to discuss with someone, customer service always gave me the same line- "We do not deal with this kind of complains over the phone and a manager will contact you." Numerous attempts to solve the issue with them failed. I contacted my credit card company to open a dispute and since then, it's mid-September, they couldn't settle the issue. National sent as response a bunch of documents which I never saw, discussed, or signed with them. They said I made for different payments in for days and I returned the car on June 21 not on June 1st as per our Agreement. Who rents for 11 days and go back to pay 4 times???!!! If I would extend my renting, I would have 4 RA as well... Also, they said I returned the car in a different location!!!???

What they sent is full of discrepancies showing manual entries information from an invoice that has been manually entered by account receivable department, not auto generated by the system -i.e. Receipts. They refuse to check the video surveillance that will show my return and failed to send legit documents to prove their statement. I am confident the credit card company will solve the issue as there is no way for National to prove I paid 4 times or I signed a different Rental Agreement. But, I will never use this company to rent a car and I will spread the word like a prophet not to use these thieves that close their door if you have an issue. I hope everyone who reads this and plan to rent will choose a better option.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My husband and I would like to know why no one has called us back regarding our complaint. We have called four times and were told that they would be Escalating our complaints as they were serious and would have someone with authority contact us. We have heard from nobody. Is this how you treat executive members who have been loyal? I really don’t want to go into detail about what happened again but the short end of it we upgraded to a car. Negotiations over the price were made and confirmed. We were given the keys and our luggage was in the car. We were driving away when suddenly stopped at the gate and kicked out of the car by the manager on duty. This is a severe complaint and if someone needs to contact us. This complaint will not just go away. Please contact me.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

It is with dismay that I must take my business elsewhere. I made a recent rental in Erie, Pennsylvania only to arrive on an American Airline flight to find no car. I had made the reservation two months earlier. When I called the “Customer Support” number I was told, “Sorry there is nothing we can do for you.” When I asked to speak to a supervisor I received the same response. I rent over 40 days a year with National and you could care less that you stranded me and my wife at the airport. I walked to the Avis counter and found myself a car, and while I was there signed up for their preferred program, and will take all of my business to them.

It is sad that your “customer service” is not really service at all. It would have been easy for you to arrange a car for me had you cared about the situation you placed me and my wife in. Your lack of caring, your lake of response to multiple phone calls, and your overall lack of customer service has cost you my business. I am only one person, but I suspect there are many more out there that you have shown the same lack of concern towards. In a service industry, customer service should be the focus of what you do; rather you choose to ignore customers who you have put in bad situations. It is for this reason I happily take my business elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I was headed to Napa with my boyfriend for our first trip together. We rented a car from National and even upgraded to the Mustang convertible. When we returned the car, we accidentally left a bag in the back seat with 2 hats and a book. As soon as we boarded the AirTrain, we realized we left it in the car... rushed back to center within 15 minutes. They said I had to talk to admin who could not "locate" the car!!! An hour later, we had no choice but to leave to board our flight. Filed a report, called back the next day and it's gone!!! Officially gone within minutes!!! Basically STOLEN... Thanks National... so much for being an Emerald Club member. Way to value your customers! Bravo...

Original review: July 22, 2018

My fiancee prepaid for my rental car. When I picked it up at Ontario Airport I had to provide a card in my name since she was not there at the time of pick up. I asked if I would be charge and the customer service representative told me "No, the balance is $0, your card is needed in case of any damages or if the car is returned with less than a full tank of gas." Six days after I returned the car I was charged for the rental. After speaking with a customer service agent at Ontario Airport who verified my fiancee's card was on the account I was told that a manager would contact me. When the manager contacted me I was told that my fiancee's card was removed from the account. They told me I would not receive a refund because the account was closed. I had been a loyal customer for years. It is nice to know they value money over their customers.

Original review: June 4, 2018

The experience I had with this rental car company was awful. You can book a reservation but when you go to pick up your car you must have a major credit card which you are not told that when booking the reservation. I was going to a family reunion and when I went to the location to pick up the vehicle in West Palm Beach, Florida, I wanted to use my debit card which they wouldn’t accept and I was not told that information when making the reservation. I was very upset and had to go to another car rental place which put me behind by about 3 hours. I will never recommend National Car Rental to anybody ever...

Original review: May 18, 2018

My wife and I rented a car 1 year ago. We were charged for damage to the vehicle that we did not do. I have written letters and emails, sent numerous pictures and still have gotten no answer for why they charged us for damage. I posted a review previously and was contacted via email that a member of the Risk Management team would be contacting me. Several months have passed and no contact as of yet. I have never in my life experienced run around like this. Very frustrating!

Original review: May 13, 2018

The website stated you must present proof of a round trip for them to accept a debit card. They accepted the debit card for payment at the time of rental but would not let me rent the car when I showed up at the airport. The round trip proof they said had to be shown before they would honor the paid for reservation, Priceline charged me 42 dollars to cancel the reservation which National would not fill. I will never use either of these companies again because of the “Oh well, it’s your fault and problem” attitude.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I rented a car on Jan 17, 2018, and returned on Jan 19, 2018. I received a damage claim email from National on Mar 07, 2018. It just says balance due $1074.75 but there is no information about the damage which they are claiming. I did not do any damage and no damage reported to me when I returned the car. Almost 46 days later, they just sent an email by saying your balance due $1074.75. Readers, please share your experiences, it will help others.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I just received a bill from National - THREE months after I rented a vehicle for four days in Kalispell Montana. The bill was for $983.90 for a LESS THAN 1/2" chip in the windshield. I was not notified of this nor was I contacted to discuss this "CLAIM" and how it was to be handled. They included an invoice from Safelite auto glass for $874.90 - when I obtained a quote for cash from Safelite - it was for $310.00. National then added their own "fees" to this as well. Everything about this screams scam and ripoff.

When you rent a vehicle you are told to report everything larger than a quarter. This chip (not a star) was less than 1/2" in length, and it was not in the driver's line of sight. National took it upon themselves to replace the entire windshield, and send a ridiculous bill. Do not rent from this company! I rent cars about 6 times a year and this is a first!!!

National Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

National Car Rental was the first company to offer one-way rentals, computerized reservations and a loyalty program. The company is now owned by Enterprise Holdings.

• Executive travel: National Car Rental focuses on providing white glove services to executive travelers, with Emerald Club options to skip the counter, choose any car from the Emerald Club Aisle and be on your way.

• Loyalty program: Customers who enroll for free in the Emerald Club enjoy benefits such as skipping the counter, choosing any car from an Emerald Aisle and applying rewards points to rental days or other travel rewards. Choose Free Rental Days or your favorite frequent traveler program.

• Convenient communication: With email, online, telephone and app connections, customers can make reservations more quickly than ever.

• Pay tolls electronically: Drivers pay a small daily fee plus the cost of tolls to use the TollPass electronic toll payments program, thus avoiding long cash lines and unpaid toll violations.

• Business programs: The National Business Rental Program for any size business offers travelers even more value, speed and convenience. The On The Go Meeting & Convention Program is for car rentals dedicated to the success of your meetings. They also offer Government programs, Military programs and association programs.

• Age: National will rent cars to drivers as young as 18 with a major credit card.

• Best for: Those traveling only one way, business travelers, vacationers, event planners, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles and temporary workers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

National Car Rental Company Information