3.9/5 (564 ratings)

About National Car Rental

National Car Rental offers SUVs, cars, vans and trucks at more than 1,500 locations worldwide. Drivers can purchase roadside protection and supplemental liability protection for an extra cost. The Emerald Club program lets drivers enjoy an upgraded vehicle selection, free rental days, priority service and easy check-in and checkout.

National Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

Story: I rented a midsize car from National using a corp. code posted on a blogger's site as a University of Michigan code for fraternity members. When I got to the take the vehicle the manager let me take a minivan as I was a Excutive member as well as add an additional driver for free. For a total of around $1300. Well.. the vehicle had damage and after returning it I got an email from the location saying my account was frozen onto the DNR list and they were adjusting my rental to a total of $4000 for the increased rate, upgraded vehicle and additional driver. I tried reaching out to National, no one was able to help me. All they can do is ask for a call back but no one called me back. I tried disputing the extra charge with Chase all without success. I would like to get this resolved without going to small claims court.

National Car Rental response

Thank you for your feedback,.Solomon. If you’d like to discuss this further, please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, rental information and all the details above. Thank you. – Chad

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

I rented a car from them and paid for it even though I had the confirmation on my phone and it told me to go to the 2nd floor which I did however when I get there they told me I had to go to the first floor to get paper work even though online it told me to go to the second floor. Went back to the first floor to get the paper work and the the person who checked me in said they are charging me a 400 hold because I had an Illinois drivers license and I ask why is that. He said that is their policy that anyone with an Illinois license has to pay a 400 deposit but it's not state that on their website and it took 3 days to get my deposit back.

I returned the car and the next day I realized I left my cup phone holder in the rental so I couldn’t talk to anyone at the Midway location. Called the number on line and they said I have to put in a claim and someone will call or email me in 48 hours which never happened. On day 9 I went back to the drop off location for them to tell me that the car was cleaned out but nothing was turned in which leads me to believe that the person who cleaned it out kept my item. But what pissed me off the most is the manager told me that if they find it they will let me know. I said, "What you mean it’s been 9 days since I’ve returned the car so if it’s not in your list and found one of your worker took it."

National Car Rental response

Chantell, I am disappointed to hear about this experience. Please email Care@NationalCar.com with the location of rental, rental agreement number and the details of your concern so we can look into this more closely. Thank you! –Chris R.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

I have been a long time customer with National and have rented in the states and international. I recently rented in Iceland and had an awful experience. When I picked up the vehicle there was a small crack in the window and I asked the attendant to please note it. She said she did but when I was going to return the vehicle another employee accused me of the damage and all she said is, "Sorry but we have to charge your card," and did not want to listen to what I had to tell her. When I asked her to look at the pictures that were taken upon pick up she noticed the crack was indeed there. She did not apologize not once for accusing me. She then started to speak another language with the other employee and laughing and then said, "Well we have to charge you a deep cleaning for smoking in the vehicle," mind you there were 3 of us in the car and none of us smoke.

I asked her to please go in the car with me and show me where did she seen any signs of someone smoking in the car. She walked me to the car and pointed out some white dust on the driver floor rug. I told her we had the car for a whole week and visited many volcano sites and geysers and that might be from the sulfur but once again she was not respectful nor professional. She just continued to speak another language with her colleague. She ended up charging my card for 309.00 for a deep cleaning and smiling. I have always picked National/Enterprise as my number 1 option when traveling for business or pleasure but after this experience I have to think about it twice.

National Car Rental response

Thanks for reaching out about this matter, Jose. I regret the inconvenience this has caused. If you could please email Care@NationalCar.com with the rental location, rental agreement number, your contact information and all of the details, we would like to look into this further. We look forward to hearing from you. –Chris R.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

Avoid this at all costs. They are not connected to the rest of National's system. We booked an economy car that said AWD was an option on the National website but we could not make a note that we needed AWD because we were going to drive on the F-roads. My husband called National to ask that they would put a note on their end and they said it will be done and we will absolutely get an AWD economy car when we arrive.

We get there and this office says there is no note because they are not connected to the same system. The only other car that had AWD was their luxury BMW. Our original car rental was about $1200. Any other time we've used National and they did not have the car we requested, they would just upgrade us for free. They did not do that. In fact, they charged us. Our car rental went from $1200 to about $4500. So we just resolved to call National when we got back to the USA to resolve this.

National's HQ policy agrees that they should not have done that and given us the car. They opened a case for us and said that this branch needed to respond and propose a resolution. If they proposed a resolution National HQ did not agree with, HQ would be able to override it. This branch knows how their system works and has just not responded at all so it can't be overridden and we cannot be refunded even though National HQ says that we should be. We now have to dispute it with our credit card company. Our trip was in July 2021 and it is now October 2022 and still ongoing. We have recordings from the National reps who say we should be refunded. Total nightmare. AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COST.

National Car Rental response

Thanks for your feedback, Cara. It is never our intent to disappoint a customer. We would like to look into this further to address your concerns. Please email Care@NationalCar.com with your rental location, rental agreement number, contact information and the details of your experience so we can assist. –Chris R.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

Where do I start... In the last 24 hours I've called National 9 times. Last night I had car trouble, where I couldn't disengage or remove the key from the ignition. I spoke to two individuals at National, the second person said that all they could do was send a tow truck, and it would be an hour or so. In about 30 minutes I was able to free my key from the ignition and I called National back, and told them I didn't need a tow. That third person told me they would cancel the tow.

This morning I woke up to head to my office and my car had been towed.

I reached out to National twice, the first women had a baby with her and told me she's looking at my account and my car definitely wasn't towed- "maybe it was stolen" she said. I hung up and called another women who accidentally disconnected me. I called a third time, this morning and spoke with a women - Dominique who was very helpful. Yes she confirmed National did tow my car, here are the details she gave me: tow was completed by: Airport Automotive Center Inc (310) 670-8266 Towed To: ** Rental Agreement: **

She was trying to get a replacement vehicle authorized, but she told me that National - Burbank Airport closed out the rental ticket, so she couldn't do anything. She told me to call National and try to get to Burbank Airport. I have since called National an additional three times, (yep thats six times this morning). The first gentlemen told me there's no way to reach an airport directly he would have to email the manager.

He told me I manager should reach back to me this morning. I've called two more times and either get the run around, or get someone telling me they can't put in another message to Burbank, I just have to sit and wait. Or go to the airport to resolve it, (Burbank airport is roughtly two hours from my current location). So here I sit with no car, no response and an immense sense of frustration and all things lacking in service and what I've paid for. YOU GUYS ARE THE MOST INCONSIDERATE, UNRELIABLE CAR RENTAL COMPANY, how are you in business??? DON'T RENT FROM THIS COMPANY.

National Car Rental response

Thanks for your feedback, Samantha. We would like to learn more so we can address this. Please email Care@NationalCar.com with your rental location, rental agreement number and the details of your experience so we can assist. –Chris R.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

Updated on 10/20/2022: Published review 9/24/22 - still no resolution!!!

Original: I rented a car online for 1781.54 CAD. When I arrived at the airport, the clerk entered 2 different return dates on my long-term rental (5 weeks). When I got home to France, I realized I had been double charged (1873.33 CAD and 1413.03 CAD), neither of which corresponded to the online quote. If I add the amount I paid and subtract the quoted price, the extra charge comes out to 1504.82 CAD. After 1 phone call and 4 emails, I still have not been refunded the total amount. I did receive a refund of 378.10 EUR (the equivalent of 496.35 CAD), but they didn't explain why they gave me that amount. Each time I contact them via email, I receive an email from a different agent, promising to help me. We're going around in circles, and I'm extremely frustrated. They still owe me 1008.47 CAD.

National Car Rental response

Hi Cindy, we would like to look into your billing concern. Please email care@enterprise.com with your contact information, rental agreement or reservation number and all of the information above. Thank you. – Chad

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Been using National since 2008 - usually a good experience - easy - smooth. Go to the Emerald Aisle, pick a car, show your driver's license, on your way in about 5 minutes. I arrived in Sacramento on Labor Day weekend, I handed over my license, and for the first time ever, got the question "do you have your confirmation number?" "Um ... let me look for the e-mail - don't you have it in your system?" "Sorry, I can't find anything ..." After not being able to find the email, the next request is "can you back up and allow me to help the other cars behind you so I can get them out of here?" Wait ... what? So I back up and move to the side as she helps three other cars get on their way.

I figure she is going to walk over and try to help me... but no. After waiting about 5 minutes and seeing she is not coming over, I end up calling customer service on my phone and get my confirmation number from them. I drive back up to the gate (already delayed about 15 minutes) and I give her the confirmation number ... she says it is not valid. What??? After she takes three trips to speak to the manager (across the lot), she tells me the confirmation number has already been used... by someone else who happens to have the same last name as me. Wait - how could someone else rent a vehicle with my confirmation number? Only way they can fix my problem is to make another reservation and rent the car to me on the spot. As they are making the reservation they did not offer me any explanation as to how this could have happened.

After much discussion, it turns out that Sam ** rented a car on my confirmation number. It is not like our names could be confused - my name is Philip **. Finally got on the road 1 hour and 10 minutes after arriving at the rental facility. I have called twice to the customer service number. Both times was told that someone would call me back to discuss this issue. Got some money back after the second call, but that is not the issue - the issue is that this should never happen - how could someone named Sam *** rent my car - didn't you check his driver's license?

There should be controls in place so that something this simple cannot get fouled up. Maybe there are controls? Maybe somebody in Sacramento needs a little nudge to follow the controls? Worst part was getting the feeling from the Sacramento staff that I had done something incorrectly (I hadn't). I made the reservation - my confirmation was in the system, but they initially treated me like I was an idiot for not having a valid confirmation number. Then asking me to back up so others could depart - and not helping me once they had departed - really??? Need someone to call me back and discuss how to prevent this from ever happening again or I will have to jump ship to Hertz.

National Car Rental response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Philip. We would like to look into this further. Please email Care@NationalCar.com with your rental information and all the details so we can address this. Thank you - Chris R.

Resolution response: July 22, 2022

The company finally responded and refunded the excess charges. Thank you!

Original review: July 15, 2022

I rental a car in France in June and was completely overcharged. They said the insurance was included by my company in the rental. Total was supposed to 437 euros and I was charged 618 Euros. They give you no paper rental agreements and you have no way to dispute it while returning it either. I continually call customer service and get different answers each time. They have given me a case number that no one can seem to follow up on and say only the location can fix the issue. That I will get an email once they fix it. It has been 3 weeks and I call each week. I really like this company to begin with but now I will go back to using companies that actually have customer service and that don't do a bait and switch.

Original review: July 1, 2022

We rented a vehicle from National Car Rental in Sacramento Airport for our PNW road trip. We chose a Jeep Compass knowing that we would be going through some tough terrain. Unfortunately, we got a flat tire in Seattle. We went to change the tire but the spare, jack and all the necessary equipment was missing. I’m not sure how or why that is okay. We called customer service and they were less than helpful. We had to foot the 120 dollar bill to have the car towed since there wasn’t a spare to change it into. Disappointed in the safety of the vehicle and the lack of care by the company.

National Car Rental response

Victoria, we're certainly disappointed to hear this. If we can help out, please email Care@Nationalcar.com with your full name, contact information, reservation or rental agreement number, the details above, and any additional details. Thank you. -Carol H.

Original review: July 1, 2022

Dropped off vehicle at 330 am at their drop and go location. No employees checking in cars at that time. however, I did a walk around before leaving for my early am flight. Car was as I had found it with no damage. However, to my surprise a day later they sent me a damage claim form claiming there was a dent in the front fender. THIS WAS NOT PRESENT WHEN I DROPPED OFF THE VEHICLE. Do not use their drop and go locations unless you physically see someone check in your rental. They will damage the vehicle and try to charge you.

Additionally, I have had significant rental history with National. A good majority of their vehicles are never properly cleaned in the interior. I have gone to a vehicle just to find someone's shoes, shoe boxes, and random trash in the vehicle. Not to mention used cups or drinks left behind. This says nothing about the pre-existing damage on most of their vehicles. Body panels popped out, scratches, dents... etc. On one vehicle the splitter (on the bottom of the vehicle) was just bearly hanging on. I have no doubt that if they miss the original customer (or caused the damage themselves) then they put it back in the lot and hope the next person won't notice so they can try to charge. Next thing you know they will start filing police reports (claiming vehicle stolen) for vehicles that have been returned. They are acting like Hertz.

National Car Rental response

dustin, we appreciate your review. All damage claims are handled by our Damage Recovery Unit. Please contact that team directly at 1-866-300-3239 or by email at CustomerClaimConcern@ehi.com. Thank you! – Carol H.

National Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

National Car Rental was the first company to offer one-way rentals, computerized reservations and a loyalty program. The company is now owned by Enterprise Holdings.

• Executive travel: National Car Rental focuses on providing white glove services to executive travelers, with Emerald Club options to skip the counter, choose any car from the Emerald Club Aisle and be on your way.

• Loyalty program: Customers who enroll for free in the Emerald Club enjoy benefits such as skipping the counter, choosing any car from an Emerald Aisle and applying rewards points to rental days or other travel rewards. Choose Free Rental Days or your favorite frequent traveler program.

• Convenient communication: With email, online, telephone and app connections, customers can make reservations more quickly than ever.

• Pay tolls electronically: Drivers pay a small daily fee plus the cost of tolls to use the TollPass electronic toll payments program, thus avoiding long cash lines and unpaid toll violations.

• Business programs: The National Business Rental Program for any size business offers travelers even more value, speed and convenience. The On The Go Meeting & Convention Program is for car rentals dedicated to the success of your meetings. They also offer Government programs, Military programs and association programs.

• Age: National will rent cars to drivers as young as 18 with a major credit card.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

National Car Rental Company Information