2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.9/5 (338 ratings)

About National Car Rental

National Car Rental offers SUVs, cars, vans and trucks at more than 1,500 locations worldwide. Drivers can purchase roadside protection and supplemental liability protection for an extra cost. The Emerald Club program lets drivers enjoy an upgraded vehicle selection, free rental days, priority service and easy check-in and checkout.

National Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?

Original review: May 15, 2021

It's so easy to get your car, especially at the airport. You can go right to your car after picking the one you want. They are well cleaned and well maintained. The car return process is easy and efficient. The people are very nice too.

National Car Rental response

Ken, we're happy that you've chosen to rent with us and it’s great to hear that you are enjoying just a few of the many perks that the Emerald club has to offer. We'll see you soon! – Carol H.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I’ve been renting from National for a few years. Last year decided to sign up for the Emerald Club. So much more convenient. Less hassle to use the Emerald Isle. I don’t have to go through the counter which is always such a hassle. They always want to add to you rental especially insurance that I know for a fact my insurance covers rentals. You go pick your car and leave that simple. Price is very reasonable. I’ve only had experience in Detroit and Florida locations but never a bad one yet.

National Car Rental response

Deb, we're thrilled that you've chosen to rent with us and are happy t to hear that you're enjoying just a few of the many perks that the Emerald club has to offer. We'll see you soon! – Carol

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

This is the best rental company around especially if you are an Emerald Club member. You get to choose your vehicle from a very extensive fleet. I rent about 20 times a year, all over the USA, and been doing it for the last 22 years, Not one complaint.

National Car Rental response

Oscar, we're happy to hear that you're enjoying just a few of the many benefits our Emerald Club has to offer! Thanks for choosing National! We look forward to seeing you again soon! – Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

Been a National customer since 90s. Best thing I like about National is the Emerald Isle Service which is available to its Emerald Card holders (getting membership is an easy process too) at almost all of the major airports in country. Member has the option/choice to pick any car from a Convertible to a SUV for the same price (which is fairly less than most of the other rental companies I had used in past) which is a nice feature to have at one's choice while picking a rental vehicle at the airport.

National Car Rental response

ray, thank you for sharing your experiences! We're happy that you've chosen to rent with us and it’s great to hear that you are enjoying just a few of the many perks that the Emerald club has to offer. We'll see you soon! – Carol H.

Original review: July 24, 2020

After having been a customer for over 3 years, and probably logging close to around 200-300 days worth of rentals, my experience has been very good. There has occasionally been an employee or two that was having a bad day and caused my experience to suffer. That said, having rented from airport locations all around the globe, if my memory serves me correctly, the majority of individuals I encountered were friendly and very helpful. As for the cars and the rental process goes, I have a good understanding of the costs associated with renting a car. The fees they charge are reasonable and well within line of their competitors. I love their executive and executive elite aisles and generally the selection options are fairly decent. On peak rental times, this can always vary, but if the case is the isles don't have what I'm looking for, their employees have mostly been reasonable in finding other options for me.

Additionally, when I was in Germany, I had a minor accident with another individual. Not knowing German, the employee who worked at the counter of the National that I rented from, helped me communicate with the individual who hit me over the phone. This was excellent customer service and helped relieve much of the stress I was under. To me National is a great rental agency and they will certainly have my business for years to come.

National Car Rental response

Patrick, thank you for your great review! We're glad to hear that our teams have been able to provide you with consistently positive experiences and that you are enjoying some of the benefits of our Emerald Club. Take care and we look forward to seeing you again soon! - Carol

Resolution response: June 9, 2021

After several months of calling, this issue was resolved. National Car credited me back for the billing mistake, it is a shame that it took so long. I will update my rating on the fact that it was resolved and this is the only issue I have had with them and I will try using them again. Lesson learned, do not drop off car without someone inspecting it before you leave.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I have always used National for car rentals but not impressed with recent rental. Picked up car at Atlanta airport for business and returned the next day. No one was there to check in the car so I left to catch my flight. Upon receiving my bill, I was charged $250 which when I called, I was told it was from smoking in the car and having it cleaned. I DO NOT SMOKE and I did not even drink anything in the car. Numerous calls and being told someone would contact me and nothing. Seems National does not appreciate my business and as much as I travel, I Do Not have to use them.

National Car Rental response

Tim, thank you for sharing this concern with us. I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: March 1, 2021

Me or my company will never rent from National again. We rented a car in Great Falls, I jumped in it and left without checking for damage myself before I left. Big mistake! I had the car for one day and absolutely hit nothing. After I returned it they called and said it had a cracked fog light. No big deal right? I told them I hadn't hit anything but didn't have proof so I agreed to pay for a fog light. Later I got a bill for $1600!! They had replaced a fog light, a tail light, a new tire and a new wheel. I told them that was ridiculous but they wouldn't negotiate at all. None of this damage was from us. Our company does $20,000 a year in rentals and I will never rent from National again if I live to be 102.

National Car Rental response

John, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations I would like to know more about your experience so I can help. Please email Care@Nationalcar.com and include the rental location, rental agreement or reservation numbers and your contact information. Thank you. - CH

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Been using National for years and it's great unless the car doesn't work. Urgently, the company they assign roadside assistance to is terrible. I contacted them yesterday at 1:00 because a car broke down. They sent a tow to pick it up and drove me to a branch that was closed, then had me and the truck go to another branch with no cars. I had to get myself back and spent hours being passed around to different people and being placed on hold. I finally got it set up to have a car delivered the next morning but then had people try to change that so had to spend more hours on the phone to get it squared away. Next time I'll know to use Hertz or someone who can actually replace a broken car in less than 30 hours.

National Car Rental response

Thank you for your review, James. I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations if you can provide a few more details, I would be happy to look into this further for you. Please email Care@Nationalcar.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I had a horrific, abusive experience at National Car Rental in Victoria, BC with manager Rummy **. I booked a car rental on Expedia and, upon arrival, he stated matter of factly they did not have any vehicle for me and offered no apology. I expressed upset that they allowed me to reserve a car when there was not one available. He said I could take a larger car (a mini SUV) that had a crack in the windshield. Being without options to get to my doctor's appointment in Duncan, I said okay, and asked if I could please have a courtesy discount for the extra cost of gas, for the larger car that I did not want (I prefer to drive a smaller car), and because they had given a reservation and not kept their agreement. He said no, and that $30 a day is not much money for a car rental.

I was very frustrated and told him that I would be leaving a negative review because of my experience. He got upset and said that I was threatening him. I said that I was not threatening him, but rather I was letting him know that this is extremely poor customer service and is unacceptable. He told the employee to cancel my reservation, told me that he would no longer rent a car to me, and then ordered the employee to, "Go back outside and keep cleaning!" I said that I would now be making a formal complaint. He stated it didn't matter because he's the manager.

I said I would go to the district level and he made a comment that it wouldn't matter and then told me to get out of the store. I demanded his business card. He gave it to me and ordered me to leave and said, "Maybe if you were nicer, I would have given you a discount," and then said something else. I turned around and asked him what he said and he said, "Never mind," and then yelled at me to, "Get off of this property!" multiple times. I have never been so traumatized or treated so horrifically at a business in all of my life. Not only should he have, at the very least, sincerely apologized for not having a car for me, if he would not give me a discount as a good will gesture, he should have kept himself in control.

I made a complaint at National's corporate office, and will follow up until I know this has been investigated and handled. I also urge the company to review this location and manager's complaint record and employee turnover, because the abusive way he treated me and his employee was terrible and absolutely unacceptable. I ended up going next door to Budget and was treated well and got a vehicle for a lower price without being subjected to abuse.

National Car Rental response

Carly, your feedback is important in maintaining and improving service and satisfaction for all our valued customers. We would like to discuss your experience with us in more detail. Please email us at care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, reservation or rental agreement number, and any additional details. Thank you. -Carol H.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

We planned a cross country vacation months ahead with reservations made. We arrived at Logan International to retrieve the Suburban or similar sized vehicle that was reserved. We are told it’s not available and maybe we don’t need such a a large vehicle. 6 people and six large pieces of luggage beg to differ. After an hour of being talked down to by desk staff that a mini van would work for our situation we were finally given a vehicle matching our reservation even though they stated they did not have any. We travel hours away to where we are staying and the next morning the car won’t start. Contact National and they offer roadside assistance. The next day vehicle won’t start again. And so on and so on. Sounds like a bad battery, that was probably bad before we got the vehicle since we never had to start it.

After being blown off by a supervisor to return a call for over six hours we call back and are told to wait for the supervisor to call and a long conversation later we are told there are more important calls to be taken and the most they could offer was to be picked up in a tow truck and towed to Portsmouth 2 hours away. They wouldn’t verify if a vehicle our size would be available and told us to call. So we tried and Portsmouth office is closed. So they were going to tow us 2 hours away to leave us over night in a dead vehicle to wait for a car that wouldn’t get us or our belongings where we needed to be. So we are stranded and still waiting over 8 hours for the supervisor to call us back. No compensation or helpful assistance has been offered. Whatever happened to customer service. Do yourself the favor and choose a non affiliated company since even the employees don’t know how to answer the phone for the correct company.

National Car Rental response

Paul, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations and assure you it's never our intention to inconvenience a valued customer. We would like to look into this further but need some more information. Please email the details of your rental, your contact information, exact rental office, and your reservation or rental agreement number to Care@Nationalcar.com. Thank you –Carol H.

National Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

National Car Rental was the first company to offer one-way rentals, computerized reservations and a loyalty program. The company is now owned by Enterprise Holdings.

• Executive travel: National Car Rental focuses on providing white glove services to executive travelers, with Emerald Club options to skip the counter, choose any car from the Emerald Club Aisle and be on your way.

• Loyalty program: Customers who enroll for free in the Emerald Club enjoy benefits such as skipping the counter, choosing any car from an Emerald Aisle and applying rewards points to rental days or other travel rewards. Choose Free Rental Days or your favorite frequent traveler program.

• Convenient communication: With email, online, telephone and app connections, customers can make reservations more quickly than ever.

• Pay tolls electronically: Drivers pay a small daily fee plus the cost of tolls to use the TollPass electronic toll payments program, thus avoiding long cash lines and unpaid toll violations.

• Business programs: The National Business Rental Program for any size business offers travelers even more value, speed and convenience. The On The Go Meeting & Convention Program is for car rentals dedicated to the success of your meetings. They also offer Government programs, Military programs and association programs.

• Age: National will rent cars to drivers as young as 18 with a major credit card.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

National Car Rental Company Information