National Car Rental

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I reserved a car for a travel in Mexico renting it in Villahermosa and dropping it off in Cancun. They assured me there were no drop off fees (which were not included in the quote as well), but I had to pay them (293$). They apologized that I was not aware of the fee, but it was their fault. Be aware because their reservation office is not reliable at all.

I am a long time business renter from National (20+ years). I recently rented a car for a week from Charlotte expecting to drop it back there. Plans changed and I inquired about dropping it at Winston-Salem. Two separate agents (I called back I was so stunned) told me the drop charge would be over $1,500!!! I expected an up charge, but in my business this would be called usury or extortion. I am moving my business to Avis. National is inviting increased regulation. Hopefully, the CFPB will expand their authority to include the car rental business.

I made my rent a car reservation months in advance of our trip. I called several times with questions about our rental. My son had transferred points to my account and I had coupons. They would not take the coupons and applied the points. I have emails from them saying that the agreed rental price with the points deducted. I arrived on schedule to pick up our SUV. I went into Islip Airport and was denied a car. They told me on the phone prior to the rental my debit card was fine. Once I was ready to pick up the car they told me that it was not. They asked for a non-debit credit card and denied me the car. I now have a credit card and would have applied for one at my bank had I known it were necessary!!! They told me to go to Enterprise/National down the road, so we did.

National/Enterprise said they could not apply my points. Furthermore, they informed me that I could not return the car on Sunday so I had to pay for another day at $30.00 a day more than I had agreed on. Same account and they said I did not have any points because they had been applied to a non-existent rental at the airport. I ended up out almost $300.00 for a $67.90 rental. They also took a $400+ deposit I was never informed of. Thank God I had money in my bank account to cover these thieves! To add insult to injury today I received a notice that they have billed my credit/debit card for a toll, I used EZ Pass. Let the renter beware this company is a crook!!!

National definitely steals money from you. I usually rent from National for business use. When I rented a car from National for private use first time, I was told there were 5400 (KM) total free miles with a 0.2 charge for additional miles. I was 100% sure I did not know 5400 KM (I was super careful). They still charged me $400 on extra miles! Please keep a proof/record of your miles and do not just drop your car and leave. (I am an Emerald Club member, National offers drop and go service for their members.) That happened to my friend too! I am pretty sure they just overcharge because most people use them for business use and they do not check their charges. BE EXTRA CAREFUL!

My husband and I ONLY rent from National when we travel. However I have a HUGE ISSUE with the billing and service I received when we checked in at RDU. I booked our car rental on Friday June 10, 2016 for RDU - confirmation # **. It was under my name - Elizabeth **. We had our confirmation of ** printed out and gave it to the kiosk person. My husband, Fred ** was driving so I had Fred hand him his driver's licence.

We had no (Zero conversation with the Kiosk agent). Because I've never had a problem with a rental with fees on the front end, and we (like everyone renting a car in a unfamiliar location) I didn't look at a contract (and not sure we received one). We were running late. When I got home and looked at the emailed receipt, I was shocked! You overcharged me!

The kiosk person, didn't see a match with the reservation number and the name so they created a new reservation at an absorbent rate. There were no questions directed to us. They should have said "the reservation name does not match your name. Do you want to create a new reservation. These are the rates for the vehicle you are driving."

The rate I booked for reservation ** was for 4 days at 39.50/day for a total of $203.81. Without any communication your kiosk agent arbitrarily chose to not question the rental slip they had or ask for the ID of Elizabeth **, the name the reservation number is under. I have never had this kind of experience in the 20 or so years that we have customers. I want to prevent/protect others from this same experience. Fredrick ** and I have been married for 35 years and have never had a problem renting a car on either of our Emerald Card Names or Numbers. *** UNTIL NOW ***

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?

The vehicle we were given had a foul odor in it the entire time we had it. Smelled like it could of had water damage from the hurricane. The insulation along the firewall was pulled down and hanging with the radio antenna cable just dangling. The entire vehicle was filthy. Windows not cleaned. I wanted a Ford. They said they didn't have any yet. When we went to the lot to get the vehicle there was 2 on the lot. Wished I would have gone back and insisted on getting a Ford.

My wallet fell out of my purse in my friend's rental car. When I realized it was missing, I called and they told me they found my wallet. But not before someone tried to charge over $1000 of amusement park tickets on my credit cards and stole $80 in cash. They said they couldn't give me my $80 back because they couldn't figure out who took my money because "too many people handled my wallet" or some BS excuse. So much for customer service.

National Car Rental Winnipeg - Executive Elite status, oh yeah, I'm a big deal. NOT! I don't have any expectations but I do expect good service and I've typically had it. Kyle **, the branch mgr, has work to do at this location. I left my sunglasses in the car by accident. It happens. I flew home, called them the minute I landed and asked they check the vehicle as I know where I left them. No call back.

So I call the next day to see, no notes left and the person, Kaitlyn, I speak with starts fresh with trying to assist. She checks the car, not there. They had rented the vehicle out after I had it so it's possible the next person has the glasses, probably not as they clean them pretty thoroughly. A perk of cleaning out rentals I suppose. She offered to call that person who rented after me and get back to me. She did not call me back. Enjoy the nice new Ray Bans. Karma catches up with you... and I will be sharing my experience as I have done here. This review could have been the opposite, disappointing.

When I checked my car in I was overcharged $40. The gentleman who checked me in admitted it, told me to go to the counter inside where they would credit it back. Or if I couldn't wait that he would go in and handle it later. I was in a hurry to make my flight but when to the building. No one was working inside. After waiting 5 minutes a woman showed up at the Alamo counter and worked on issuing the credit. I When I got on the shuttle I realized the credit was only for $13. I called National Car Rental and they refused to give me the remaining credit. I WILL NEVER USE NATIONAL CAR RENTAL AGAIN. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I wanted a premium SUV after last year when I got a Premium SUV in Idaho falls because they ran out of full sized SUVs. It was very nice to drive and very comfortable. This trip we were flying into Denver and driving up to Steamboat Springs CO and wanted the same comfort and features that we had last year. So I paid extra online to reserve a premium SUV so that we would have the type of vehicle that we had last year. We ended up getting put into a full size SUV and didn't get refunded the difference or anything. They were like "Here is what you get." I'm a disabled veteran with a lot of chronic pain. That is the main reason I wanted that extra comfort of the premium SUV. Instead we had a vehicle with cloth seats that had manual back adjustment and a wheel to turn to adjust the lumbar support. The suspension was much stiffer than the premium SUV we had a year earlier and made my back much sorer over the 178 miles each way.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Nationals customer service is outstanding! They took my issue very seriously and made it right! Thanks, national!

Juliet of Cedar Rapids, IA on

Original Review

I planned a trip for my 5 friends back 5 months ago for a concert 4 hours away. We all were pumped. All 5 of us took off work early Friday and 3 of us had to take off that Saturday --- We could of easily used one of our cars, but we splurged. We got a 2017 caravan with 79 miles on it. We started our 4 hour drive at 2 pm to get there by 6 to have dinner before our concert at 8 pm. We made it almost 40 miles when we heard a horrible noise that can only be closely described as a jack brake noise a semi makes. We pulled off to the side of the road where it seized and wouldn't go any further. Most likely the transmission. I instantly grabbed the rental agreement and called the roadside assistance, at that time it was 3:04 pm.

The lady was nice and sympathetic and said she would have to call the office I got the van from and have them send out a cargo van to come get us and take us back to the airport and get a new rental. She kept me on hold during that call, 5 mins later, which felt like an eternity she gets back on and said, "I am sorry, they answered but I've been on hold the whole time and I think they've forgotten me." So she said, "Hold on and I will hang up and call them back." Then another 5ish mins pass and she gets back on and said that was what had happen. She then reassures me and said they are on their way and it would be 4:09 pm they should arrive... doing the math, that would make it impossible for us to make to the concert in time. So I called and cancelled our hotel stay and now we are out of our concert tickets which were over $300!

After that I sat on the side of the road with my 4 friends for an hour, at 4:13 I got a call from AAA -- who was dispatched from National telling me I would need to get a cab!!! They could of told me this an hour ago!!! He was nice though and showed sympathy for my situation. He told me a towing company is on their way and I am to leave the doors unlocked and the keys on the seat. I was able to get a cab and then AAA called me again to make sure I got a cab big enough for all of us and said just take the receipt to the counter at the Eastern Iowa Airport and get reimbursed. Then Campus Towing of Coralville called to make sure we were ok and they were on their way too.

So anyway the cab fare was $100 (which did include a tip). I took the receipt in to the counter and told them the issue and they guy said they haven't had any vans in weeks and asked if I were sure I got it from there?!!! Are you kidding me?! I gave him the rental agreement and receipt I had just got less than 5 hours before. He even went on to say that he wouldn't be giving me any vouchers or refunds since I went thru Priceline to get my rental because, I quote "they don't get paid from Priceline." REALLY?! Then he said, "Did you get a claim number or a ticket from AAA?" He said that I shouldn't of left the van and needed the keys and if what I said were true, roadside would of called them... I explained they did twice! He argued with me they didn't. However, then he decided he would be "nice" and refund me the $23.99 for the insurance I took out with them.

I feel completely burnt by National! I was charged $168 for a brand new van that made it 40 miles!!! AND to make matters worse, we left in a hurry when the cab came, that I am missing my makeup tackle box and NO ONE HAS CALLED ME!!! I've already left a message about it and called the tow company and they said they only hooked up the tow and didn't look in the back. FML!! Anyone else had this happen? I am so upset!

My husband had a panic attack on the flight from Las Vegas back to IL. We were set to take off and suddenly he felt like he couldn't fly. Everything was closing in on him. So we had to go back to the car rental place and try to find a car on a Friday morning in Vegas that wouldn't break the bank. So we went to National and Donna was so helpful after hearing about our problem and it was about half of any other rental place at the airport. We are forever grateful for her understanding in helping us get back home to Illinois. We have now joined the National Car Rental Club and looking forward to using it in the future. Thanks again to Donna and Lulu at the airport rental.

When I returned my vehicle from a 3 month rental, the member of staff from National Car in Dubai checked the vehicle and I signed the vehicle check in document. He refused to give me a copy (despite there being one) so I took a picture of it. National Car then stated there was a charge of 650 AED for damage to the tyre, however this damage was not caused by me (I drove the vehicle to the National Car office), nor was anything registered on the form I signed so I asked them to evidence this damage. They then sent me two photos, one of my vehicle registration plate, one of a tyre which could belong to any vehicle (and was clearly not capable of my journey to their office) and their copy of the check in form.

However, their copy of the form is not the same as the one I signed. Some of the information is not even in the same colour of pen. After I put my signature on the form and they took it back to their office from the car park, extra information was added to appear as though I had agreed to damage. Initially, I was told both on the phone and by email that they believed me and needed to speak to the member of staff on his return from annual leave and then would process my refund. However, later the same day, I was sent another email simply stating they would not refund the money because the damage was caused by me; yet still not providing evidence of this.

I then contacted Consumer Rights, who spoke with National Car who agreed to refund my money and the case was closed. However, National Car then called me and pretended to have no knowledge of my case and then refused to process the refund! Their new argument was that I had HIDDEN the tyre in the car, however the tyre was so badly damaged (see picture) it could have only been caused by a high speed accident or by crashing into a vehicle/object. All such incidents here in Dubai require police attendance and an accident report, however there was no such report nor any call for breakdown service. My complaint is still ongoing but my advice to you is to avoid this company like the plague! They are liars, fraudsters and will do anything to avoid giving you back your money which you are entitled to!

The night of Aug 1 I received news that my Grandma was dying 800 miles away. The family needed to get there as soon as possible, but since there were five people going flying costs were prohibitive. As an Emerald Executive Elite member, I immediately reserved a car with National to be picked up at the Daytona Beach Airport branch first thing in the morning of Tuesday Aug 2nd.

When I arrived at the airport with my two teenage children, National did not have a vehicle ready, all they had were cars too small to comfortably fit two adults and three teens for a 12+ hour drive. It took them nearly 2 hours to get us a vehicle, and they finally sent us on our way with a Jeep, saying we needed to take it for an oil change at the Firestone across the street before getting on our way.

To compensate for our trouble, she offered us a 1-day "downtime credit." Firestone said it would be an hour before they could get to it, and then the service would take another 45 minutes. I passed, and we headed on our way first to pick up my sister and nephew. When they hopped into the SUV, we immediately found a major issue: there were five of us, and only four working seatbelts in the vehicle.

We headed to the National branch at the Sanford airport the next nearest branch where a National agent told us they had no Jeeps, and could not replace our rental with anything different. I asked for a manager, and was told the manager was in a meeting. I suggested she check with Enterprise and Alamo to see if she could get us a vehicle. She suggested I drive to Jacksonville to see if they could help us there. Meanwhile, another National representative walked out to the car to see if he could fix the fifth seatbelt.

When he reported back that it was indeed broken, the original agent wisely decided it would be unsafe to let us leave, and suddenly found us a Jeep from Alamo. She also said that when I returned the vehicle, I should be compensated for the extra trouble via a discount. Three hours were lost that morning just trying to get an operable vehicle from National. Three of the last lucid hours of Grandma's life, which is something we can never get back.

I returned the vehicle to the Daytona Beach branch at 7 pm on Sunday, Aug 7. The representative took my keys and tapped away at her computer, barely glancing at me. She didn't ask any of the usual questions, and I waited patiently while she finished up whatever she was working on because I wanted her attention while she dealt with my return. Suddenly she handed me a receipt, I hadn't even presented my credit card. She had charged my corporate card for a personal trip. I asked her to fix it, and she said she would need her manager's help.

I waited for the manager for about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, she started helping people behind me. When the manager arrived, she was having a hard time processing someone else's credit card, and they decided they needed to resolve that customers problems before getting back to me tick-tock. The manager finally told me they couldn't credit my corporate card and charge my personal card; I was told to return the next day and someone else could help me. That was 8:30. It was the end of a very emotional week, and the end of a 12+ hour drive, and I was tired and sad and extremely frustrated with the lack of service.

In the end, they called someone who told them how to fix the credit card issue. They didn't mention that I had also asked for a service credit. It was after 9 pm, and I was done. My grand total discount: Nothing. The receipt shows a $34 one day downtime credit issued at the time I picked up the vehicle (compensation for the first 2 hour wait), but I returned the vehicle one day early with no further discount, so I essentially paid full price. Customers have choices. I will not rent from National in Daytona Beach again.

NATIONAL CAR RENTAL-ISSUE AT WHITE PLAINS AIRPORT - I set up a rental at HPN for Thursday of last week. I called before I went to get the car to change the return location. I was assured that that was fine and no additional charges. When I went to HPN to get the car the manager Mark ** said they were charging me 50.00 to return the car just over the line in CT despite, 1) Being a long standing emerald Patron, 2) Having an issue with their last car rented there, 3) being rude about the whole encounter all because I would not shake his hand. He said it would normal be 100.00 to leave the car elsewhere. As a frequent traveler for business and the VP of my departments, I have asked my reports to go back to AVIS for the time being. The lack of respect and regard demands that I not use this company until they learn how to use appropriate customer service.

We had a rental from National made through American Airlines Vacations. We encounter a bulging tire in the middle of Monument Valley, Utah. Their roadside assistance after two hours trying to figure out how to handle us, only suggestion was for us to drive 70 miles at 4:45 pm on a Friday to a Page, Arizona Wal-Mart in hopes of buying a new tire to fit the mini van. Other than that they said there was nothing they could do. We were three hours away from Flagstaff where we rented the car, and had flight the next day to make to LA. I got a supervisor on the phone who did order a Two from Flagstaff to bring us a new car, BUT the Flagstaff airport counter refused him. We tried a second time and it was all set up. We were much relieved, but got a call at 7:30 pm that AAA had gotten there and the counter at Flagstaff REFUSED to send a car. So we were stuck... once again.

My husband and son in law refused to drive from Gouldings, Utah to Flagstaff on a donut - a distance of 150 miles. Their front desk agent told us it was safe. The boys took off for Kayenta, Arizona to try to buy a used tire. They did buy one, that was smaller than required for the car. The agents in Flagstaff were so rude and really they do not care about customer safety or service. I am sure they would care if we had an accident and they were sued. We did arrive safely in Flagstaff, but I will tell everyone never to do business with National Car Rental. They are awful and do not deserve to be in business.

Horrible Customer Service. I had many issues when I rented a vehicle from National Car Rental and I have asked several times for a regional manager to contact me and I have been waiting for over ten days.

On Saturday July 9th I dropped my rental car off at the Miami International Airport where I was approached by 2 people - one was a manager in training. She proceeded to ask me questions about how my rental was and were the people nice. Being distracted I left my iPhone 6 in the car on a clip in the AC vent. I got in a cab and realized I have forgotten my phone and had the cab immediately turn around. 15 minutes had past from the time I dropped the car off until I returned.

I spoke to the manager in training who distracted me and she called the cleaning company and they said they did not find the phone. They brought the vehicle back around cleaned with no phone and no vent clip. THEY STOLE MY PHONE IN 15 MINUTES. Beware National hires thieves! The managers were terrible in trying to help and the manager in training actually bailed once she heard they took the phone. I have been waiting for the City Manager to call me back for over a week now.

National owes me an iPhone 6 and the respect to return my calls. I was heading out for a 7 day cruise with no phone and no way to communicate to with my fellow travelers. I could not take any pictures of my vacation and every time I saw others using their phones it frustrated me even more. I expect customer service from National and will continue to rent from them if they treat me with some respect. If not I will be happy to rent my next 20 rentals for 2017 from another vendor, not National, Enterprise or Alamo!!! If I knew I had hired a thief I would take action immediately! Not sure if you have ever had something stolen from you but if so I completely understand!

I have to rent from National because my company chose them. I picked up a car in Kansas City on Monday evening and returned it to MCI airport on Tuesday. No issues. I flew from Kansas City to Phoenix. Went to pick up car in Phoenix and was told I'm on the do not rent list. Could not tell me why. The woman behind the counter gave me a phone number to call during business hours. I called first thing this morning after taking a taxi to my hotel and spent 20 minutes on the phone with Kristy.

(I was speaking with Tracy first, but she hung up on me because I told her I hate her and every single person associated with National Car Rental. I guess that's why she hung up. She asked how my day was going, so I don't know why she hung up if she didn't want a real answer. She should have just gone to work solving my issue.) After spending 20 minutes on the phone with Kristy (an ugly, hateful person) I was told that someone from customer service would contact me within a few days. If I haven't heard from customer service within two weeks I should call back. No information. No nothing.

I am a long time Emerald Club member and due to my extensive travel schedule I rent cars at a rate of approximately 35 to 40 days per year. I had an emergency on my wife's family and I want to provide her with 3 free days rental and that was a huge pain. I called the posted number for National Reservations, and I default into India, I was told that she would need to have an Emerald Account in order for me to transfer from my account to her account the days I want to gift her with; I had to hang up, open an account and call back, India again, just this time someone told me that "you could not do that way, you need to ask for a coupon," but I could call another number which he provided me with and explain the deal and they would help me there.

I called, India again, the guy said "no problem I will take care of it." He book the reservation and he said he had transferred the free days no worries. I told my wife the good news and out she went. Well at the point of returning the vehicle, she was charged $287.00 for the rental and told she would need to call customer care. I got the message and I called, India again, just at this time, they told me that because the contract was already closed they could not do anything. I exploded and I ask for a damn phone number in the UNITED STATES. In summary, I made 6 phone calls, spent exactly 1h:47m to finally speak with someone in the USA that told me she would order the coupon and she will fix it when I get it. Frustrating, time consuming, unacceptable.

I recently rented a car at JFK airport in New York. I do so frequently and with different rental car companies. I chose National this time. Their pricing structures were the initial motivation. I believe that my experience this time will ensure that I will always book National first. The staff were courteous and even humorous. The manager on the floor was a Steven **. I have never met a more friendly, decisive, competent and civil person in the rental car business. I thought that the attention he provided to my needs, the complete answers to all of my questions and the promptness of his service were truly exceptional. He did it all with grace and genuine care. I hope he is not the exception at National. Congratulations on such a great representative of your company.

We didn't have cash to pay the unexpected toll booths in Orlando. We dug up change for most of them and ended up missing 2 tolls, both $1. There's no way around it; I'll be required to pay administration fees of $12/each. Also, when we arrived at the "24 hour" car rental booth - there was a sign pointing us over to Avis which was a VERY LONG line even for 2 am. I was tired and began to wait with my 4 children. Because National WAS CLOSED. The vehicle was dirty inside - I have pictures. Many - too tired to care. I took the van anyways.

I recently found out that one of my company's 'perks' was a free membership in the Emerald Club at National Car Rental. This seemed like a great thing, especially since I am about to set off on a road trip in a few weeks. I signed up for the Emerald Club successfully, but was astonished at the pricing for the vehicle rental. This may not be an issue for those travelling on business where the company pays, but my use is personal.

I went onto Priceline to find a reasonable rental rate, and when I did find one it was more than 40% less than the National rate, so I was REALLY shocked to see that the car I obtained through Priceline was indeed from National. I called them to see if I could attach my Emerald Club membership to this rental for nothing other than ease of pick up and drop off. Of course I could not without cancelling through Priceline which was already paid for, and rebooking through National. Of course to rebook it would have gone back to the rate that National charged directly. Ease of use and points? Definitely not worth the rental being another $140 more for an 8-day rental.

I am a member of the National Emerald Club. I went to pick up my reserved car in Kansas City on April 5, 2016 and found out that National did not have any cars. The attendant told me that they had run out of cars earlier in the evening and also had already used all of the available cars at Alamo. The attendant had no options for me and said that I would have to walk around to the other car companies to inquire whether anyone had cars available. National offered no assistance and no compensation for their error. I am now a member of Hertz Gold Club and tell this story to everyone that I meet.

I reserved the style of car I wanted 2 months in advanced. The night before my trip, I called the National Car Rental national number (no pun intended) to confirm my rental car. The first person I spoke to, had a heavy accent and I couldn't understand them. I requested for someone that I could understand, and the agent placed me on hold for 15 minutes, or until I hung up and redialed. The next agent also had an accent, but was considerably more understandable. The second agent confirmed my trip and answered my questions and found me a discount. So once I reached the counter at Sarasota International Airport, EVERYTHING the agent told me was wrong.

First they would not accept the cash payment that I had just gotten the thumbs up for, hours earlier. Secondly, they wouldn't accept a debit card and third and most of all... they were delighted that they were not giving a colored man a convertible mustang from their establishment and I was denied getting the car. They were so delighted in denying me the car, that when I stood in the next car rental line a Christopher ** found it necessary to antagonize me further by shouting to me, so everyone could hear, that I would be unsuccessful at renting cars from any other car rental companies. That didn't discourage me. I just called my Parents to back me up. My Parents brought their credit card and we stood in line to get the Car.

The agent Christopher ** was so offended that I had met the criteria for the car that he and the manager canceled my booking altogether. And again were happy to do so SMILING IN MY PARENTS FACE. I went to Dollar Rental Car and they were able to accommodate my needs for a cheaper rate. I will never use National Car Rental ever again!!!

Have an email confirmation in front of me citing a cost of $240 for a week's rental. Paid $100 more when we checked out. The counter was closed when we picked up the car at the airport, we had no idea what cars to choose from - nothing. Called customer service (ha) and was told they didn't see the prices I was mentioning and they'd email the manager of the airport's desk and he/she would look into it? WHAT? The manager of that location didn't make the reservation, you can't call them, and there was no one working there but they're going to decide whether I get a refund? Then, rep hung up on me mid-sentence. I'm going to contest charges if I don't hear back in 24 hrs. My credit card company has been very helpful in instances like these so hopefully they won't disappoint this time.

Well, I know that no one reads these and it will make me feel better just to write this! I paid over $200.00 for the car I rented in Victoria for less than 3 days starting March 23 to March 26. According to the bill in the glove box from the previous renter, the previous renter paid $118.00 for 5 days so I paid double for 3 days. I want a credit, please as I feel ripped off for sure. We were late for our return flight and had no time to bring this up at the counter.

First of all, we always rented car in another agencies and they were always unlimited km and if it was not they advise about get one unlimited if it is a long distance. We went to the airport and we saw that all agencies was with almost the same price/day, so randomly we decided get in National because it was empty and we were late go leave (Worst decision ever). We need to rent a car for just 7 hours to go to a city 2.5 hours away get a document and come back.

Then we got the contract. It would be $63 (with all abusive tax and under age tax) but it was ok. We looked at the contract and ask about the taxes but we could not understand about KM information and asked it the $63 was the final price. And the attendant asked where we were going and we told we would drive out of the city. Even with this she did not mentioned about the km, just about the taxes. When we came back to give the car! A big SURPRISE!!! $300 for all the km drove! If we knew that we would never get the car in National because we knew and confirmed after that Avis, Enterprise and others did not have this charge for economic cars (the kind we got). We would never have done that, we would go to another agency.

We tried everything, the customer service in this moment was terrible. Even talking to the manager, we got a decreasing to $100.25, still abusive (Considering a basic car rented for 7 hours). And when we told we would tell everybody about this problem and we would make complaint they said "You can do whatever you want". In summary they do not care about the customer, we know we should see that and it appear in the contract but the employee should advise us, and we told we were going to a long distance. I will never rent a car at National again and I advise you... Find another agencies they do not charge km in all cars and you for sure can get a really better customer service. The branch where it happened is localized in Airport of Regina, SK, Canada.

I just want to give a warning to anyone looking to rent a car here. I booked the car online with the liability coverage since my insurance does not cover me in Panama. National seemed to have the best deal for the car rental and the coverage for liability at $6/day. When I arrived I was told that the website was wrong and that it was actually $12/day. They could not offer an explanation to why the website was different. I argued and said that I was not paying the $12/day. We arrived late at night and at this point there are no other options. They told me they could not give me the car if I didn’t agree to the $12/day.

This was the worst experience I have ever had with a bait and switch as the rental ended up being more expensive than the competitors. The agents at the counter made me sign to agree to the rate before they would give me the car. Once I returned home I called National and they agreed that the rate should have been $6/day and said they would make it right. After a week I received a response that since I signed and agreed to the higher rate they could not refund me the difference. Be careful out there fellow Travelers.

What on earth has happened to National's website. Use to be able to book a car in less than 5 min. Now I have to call. Webpage won't load. My rewards isn't right. They need to fix this ASAP or I will carry my Executive Elite behind to some other company considering I drive a rental more than I drive my personal car.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAutomotive Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix is an automotive expert who earned the title of The Car Coach, and is recognized throughout all forms of media as a woman with in-depth knowledge on vehicles, technology, automotive finance, repair and trends. Founder of Automotive Aspects, Inc., her understanding of automobiles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print and the internet. She writes a column for multiple outlets including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on all the major news and morning shows discussing the latest updates on cars that will help drivers of all ages learn to about cars and make smart decisions.    More about Lauren→

National Car Rental was the first company to offer one-way rentals, computerized reservations and a loyalty program. The company is now owned by Enterprise Holdings.

• Executive travel: National Car Rental focuses on providing white glove services to executive travelers, with Emerald Club options to skip the counter, choose any car from the Emerald Club Aisle and be on your way.
  • Loyalty program: Customers who enroll for free in the Emerald Club enjoy benefits such as skipping the counter, choosing any car from an Emerald Aisle and applying rewards points to rental days or other travel rewards. Choose Free Rental Days or your favorite frequent traveler program.
  • Convenient communication: With email, online, telephone and app connections, customers can make reservations more quickly than ever.
  • Pay tolls electronically: Drivers pay a small daily fee plus the cost of tolls to use the TollPass electronic toll payments program, thus avoiding long cash lines and unpaid toll violations.
  • Business programs: The National Business Rental Program for any size business offers travelers even more value, speed and convenience. The On The Go Meeting & Convention Program is for car rentals dedicated to the success of your meetings. They also offer Government programs, Military programs and association programs.
  • Age: National will rent cars to drivers as young as 18 with a major credit card.
  • Best for Those traveling only one way, business travelers, vacationers, event planners, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles and temporary workers.

Compare Rental Cars