2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.46/5

National Car Rental offers SUVs, cars, vans and trucks at more than 1,500 locations worldwide. Drivers can purchase roadside protection and supplemental liability protection for an extra cost. The Emerald Club program lets drivers enjoy an upgraded vehicle selection, free rental days, priority service and easy check-in and checkout.

National Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

This is the best rental company around especially if you are an Emerald Club member. You get to choose your vehicle from a very extensive fleet. I rent about 20 times a year, all over the USA, and been doing it for the last 22 years, Not one complaint.

National Car Rental response

Oscar, we're happy to hear that you're enjoying just a few of the many benefits our Emerald Club has to offer! Thanks for choosing National! We look forward to seeing you again soon! – Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

Been a National customer since 90s. Best thing I like about National is the Emerald Isle Service which is available to its Emerald Card holders (getting membership is an easy process too) at almost all of the major airports in country. Member has the option/choice to pick any car from a Convertible to a SUV for the same price (which is fairly less than most of the other rental companies I had used in past) which is a nice feature to have at one's choice while picking a rental vehicle at the airport.

National Car Rental response

ray, thank you for sharing your experiences! We're happy that you've chosen to rent with us and it’s great to hear that you are enjoying just a few of the many perks that the Emerald club has to offer. We'll see you soon! – Carol H.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2020

After having been a customer for over 3 years, and probably logging close to around 200-300 days worth of rentals, my experience has been very good. There has occasionally been an employee or two that was having a bad day and caused my experience to suffer. That said, having rented from airport locations all around the globe, if my memory serves me correctly, the majority of individuals I encountered were friendly and very helpful. As for the cars and the rental process goes, I have a good understanding of the costs associated with renting a car. The fees they charge are reasonable and well within line of their competitors. I love their executive and executive elite aisles and generally the selection options are fairly decent. On peak rental times, this can always vary, but if the case is the isles don't have what I'm looking for, their employees have mostly been reasonable in finding other options for me.

Additionally, when I was in Germany, I had a minor accident with another individual. Not knowing German, the employee who worked at the counter of the National that I rented from, helped me communicate with the individual who hit me over the phone. This was excellent customer service and helped relieve much of the stress I was under. To me National is a great rental agency and they will certainly have my business for years to come.

National Car Rental response

Patrick, thank you for your great review! We're glad to hear that our teams have been able to provide you with consistently positive experiences and that you are enjoying some of the benefits of our Emerald Club. Take care and we look forward to seeing you again soon! - Carol

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I'm here to join the numerous long-time Elite National Customers for over 7 yrs. We rented a car at the SFO airport as I have done thousands of time over the almost decade. We got an email that the car we rented had a Manufacturer's recall by Ford (ford edge) and we needed to bring it back in right away - Mind you we prepaid for gas on this car as well - When we got there the guy inspected the car- gave us our ticket to swap for a new car and we proceed to go and choose another car.

As we were looking for a replacement a manager came running over to us yelling that there was a dent on the top of the car. We were totally confused because we never damaged the car - when we got there there was a small crack on the right grill that looked like normal wear and tear, not an accident or anything like that. The manager was extremely rude as I told him "We didn't do this damage". He didn't care, keep writing up a report - in hindsight I should never signed it (but did write on the report that we did not do this damage in all caps). The manager asked if we wanted a replacement - I said no - I'm done with National - he said “that’s just fine with me.”

Additionally my daughter indicated that we are going to put this on Yelp, Facebook and every other social media outlet we find to warn people that National is just passing on their charges to unsuspecting customers (Long standing ones) - He said “go right ahead” I'm done with them and the manager Brian - you were rude and condescending and I think you, the inspector and National know that you guys are just scamming folks - there are enough folks here to reach out to and start a class-action lawsuit on your scamming practices for unsuspecting customers.

If you are going to charge customers for damage - you should have better outgoing inspection to ensure you are not wrongly accusing the wrong customer for damage they did not do. If you are not good at catching this stuff at the right time, you can't just keep passing the buck on to the next customer - We are going to fight this in the court of public opinion - You have lost my business and I hope you lose a lot more with these practices. COVID may wreck havoc on your entire business but don't take it out on the customers you still have - that's a really dumb business strategy. Consumer affairs - please contact me - I have pictures.

National Car Rental response

Charlotta, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations and assure you it's never our intention to inconvenience you. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Ugh. Returned Cargo Van FULL. Was Checked-In by employee who recorded the fuel gauge FULL + read the odometer. 4 DAYS LATER Manager billed $18 for gas, as it needed to be <>?! Now I need to show my top-up gas receipt?!! What a Gas Money Scam cash grab. Rent anywhere else, or you're leaving yourself wide-open. Steer clear. This location is untrustworthy & terrible!

National Car Rental response

Tamara, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations. This team is happy to take a closer look at your rental however we will need some additional details. Please email Care@Nationalcar.com with your contact telephone number, email address, exact rental office location, and your reservation and rental agreement number. Thank you! – Carol

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

We used National enterprise car rental for our stay in Myrtle beach. The national manager at the airport gave us a really hard time when we got the car. She said we couldn’t use the rental agreement that our boss set up for us through our company even though we called and verified with national days before the vacation. She then tried to set up a new rental aggreement and wanted us to pay $80 extra dollars for insurance when we had already taken care of it everything.

Finally when she made me prove I worked with my boss I paid for the rental with my card and they put it on hold. On the 18th they put that $200 back in my account without saying anything or giving me a notification. So I assumed that was my money and spent it. Today on the 20th they took the $200 back and made my account go into the negatives. I called hysterical and crying they said there’s nothing they can do. Poor customer service like I’ve never experienced before. The manager was rude and the women I called for this matter was completely unhelpful. National Enterprise do better.

National Car Rental response

Samantha, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Nationalcar.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. - Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

My husband and I just got through renting a car from the Denver airport location. We went to turn our car back in and a dent was discovered on the front bumper. Knowing we didn’t make this dent, we asked to speak to the manager. The manager swiftly came over, looked at the damage and said this is no big deal and nothing to worry about. Two days later we get an email saying that we are responsible to pay for all of the damage.

Once again, positive that this damage was already on the car before we rented it, we find a picture we took of the front of the car (dented bumper showing) the first day of our trip and send it as a response to the email that says we owe for the damages. No response. We then, one week later, get a bill for over $1000 to fix the dent.

Next part of the story. My husband has used National Car Rental weekly for his work for years. This is the third time this has occurred to him where staff at National Car Rental has not assessed cars well enough after customer rentals and then pinned damage on the next renter. Enough is enough. This is a dishonest company and we will be taking our business and his company’s business elsewhere.

National Car Rental response

Erica, we're certainly sorry to hear of your disappointment and would be happy to speak with you further. All damage claims are handled by our Damage Recovery Unit. Please contact that team directly at 1-866-300-3239 or by email at CustomerClaimConcern@ehi.com. Thank you! – CH

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

Absolutely horrible experience! I reserved a mini van to use for business at IAH here in Houston, The day of my rental I went and picked up my vehicle at 8:37am and about 10 minutes down the road as I entered the free way the BACK HATCH OF THE MINI VAN FLEW OPEN! I got out to shut it thinking maybe it was never closed in the first place. Upon my inspection I found out that the latch to the door was stuck in the locked position making it impossible to close the door. Frustrated I called customer service to have them come tow the vehicle and bring me a new vehicle as I had important meetings scheduled throughout the day, I was first asked if I could just drive the mini van back to the lot with the hatch open to which I replied NO BECAUSE IT'S ILLEGAL! The operator agreed then stated they would send a tow truck with a new vehicle same type so that I would be on my way.

I waited 3 and a Half hrs for the TOW TRUCK! I had 2 private tow trucks attempt to help me but at my own expense and refused because this was not my problem. Once the tow truck arrived at NOON I had already missed 3 meetings and a scheduled pick of clients. I then called customer service to have them at the very least compensate me for the inconvenience to which they replied I would have to take it up with the manager on duty upon returning the car.

When I went to return the car I spoke with manager on duty Jeffrey ** and explained the situation that had unfolded, His response without showing any empathy was unfortunately there was nothing he could do at the time because my account had closed out the minute I returned the car and in order for him to have access to change anything I would have had to tell the guys who checked in my return first. (I was never given these instructions by any one person in customer service the first time I called). Jeffrey then stated that because it was a Saturday that I could come back Monday and speak with a supervisor above him who could approve any type of compensation.

Today Monday 10/5/2020 I returned to speak with supervisor and out comes Jefferey **, who pretended to not remember me or what had already transpired, Absolutely irritated and begrudgingly I re-Explained everything that literally was in the notes of my account to begin with. Mr. ** then stated that there was nothing that could be done and the fact that I was able to switch vehicles should have been compensation enough, even though I explained my entire day was blown behind the faulty vehicle in which clearly wasn't inspected upon it's original return and then loaned out to myself un-inspected as well.

Mr. ** then stated that he would still go get a supervisor to see what could be done and leave behind a door, not even 2 minutes passed before he comes rushing out tell the front desk service person to see if I added Roadside Assistance to my rental. I asked what for and what does that have to do with a faulty vehicle and my compensation to which he replies Because I didn't add roadside assistance to my package and they sent out a tow truck anyway it would serve as my compensation because normally they would have charged me the Tow Trucks fees...

Absolute bewilderment and instant anger is all I could feel at that moment, The fact I was given a straight up lie dead to my face and with a smile literally has completely turned me off from ever renting with National ever again... TRUST ME. SAVE YOURSELF THE HEADACHE AND WALK AWAY. GO ANYWHERE BUT HERE!!

National Car Rental response

Michael, your feedback is important in maintaining and improving service and satisfaction for all our valued customers. We're certainly sorry to hear of your disappointment and would be happy to speak with you further. Please email us at care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, reservation or rental agreement number, and any additional details. Thank you. -Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I rented a car in Kalamazoo, MI on July 25, 2020 that was returned at the Minneapolis airport the next day (July 26, 2020). The person who checked it in stated that there were no problems with the car. Shortly after this, I began receiving emails and mail stating that the car had been damaged. I called National and the person I spoke to said there was no record of the car being damaged. He gave me a number to call and over the following two days I spent more than two hours on hold without ever being able to speak to a human.

The emails and mail continue. The one I received yesterday told me I now owe $1800. A short internet search quickly proved that this is a common scam perpetrated by this company, including being told when you call to ask what the damage was, that they have no record of any damage, AND then are given a number where no one ever answers the phone when you try to call. Followed by an email demanding payments. Another common trend is that the damage was to the ROOF of the car, which is what the most recent scam email states happened to the car I rented. I have been a loyal car renter for National for a number of years, but no more. I have sent two messages to National Car Rental. I have contacted the company for the credit card I used to rent the car, to alert them to this scam. My next step will be to file a claim with my state's attorney general's office.

National Car Rental response

Maryanne, thank you for contacting the Social Team. All damage claims are handled by our Damage Recovery Unit. Please contact that team directly at 1-866-300-3239 or by email at CustomerClaimConcern@ehi.com. Thank you! – Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

I reserved a car at National on Phone at Tyler, Airport. When I went to pick car at the scheduled time, they said car was not available and the receptionist lady communicated with Hertz and referred to go to Hertz which said car available at higher rate for same size than rate reserved on phone. The disappointing part is I called back at reservation phone number who said car was available at Tyler, Airport location where we were booked. So I felt the receptionist lady was simply doing business to refer to different company and get the commission. I had to cancel my 4 days trip, important meetings, and a potential job position. They ruined my life. Incident: August 13, 2020. Really disappointed at the way they were handling their customer. The Receptionist lady was unwilling to hear anything and said that cars get taken quickly while the recalling the reservation still showed the cars availability.

National Car Rental response

Sarju, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

National Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

National Car Rental was the first company to offer one-way rentals, computerized reservations and a loyalty program. The company is now owned by Enterprise Holdings.

• Executive travel: National Car Rental focuses on providing white glove services to executive travelers, with Emerald Club options to skip the counter, choose any car from the Emerald Club Aisle and be on your way.

• Loyalty program: Customers who enroll for free in the Emerald Club enjoy benefits such as skipping the counter, choosing any car from an Emerald Aisle and applying rewards points to rental days or other travel rewards. Choose Free Rental Days or your favorite frequent traveler program.

• Convenient communication: With email, online, telephone and app connections, customers can make reservations more quickly than ever.

• Pay tolls electronically: Drivers pay a small daily fee plus the cost of tolls to use the TollPass electronic toll payments program, thus avoiding long cash lines and unpaid toll violations.

• Business programs: The National Business Rental Program for any size business offers travelers even more value, speed and convenience. The On The Go Meeting & Convention Program is for car rentals dedicated to the success of your meetings. They also offer Government programs, Military programs and association programs.

• Age: National will rent cars to drivers as young as 18 with a major credit card.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

National Car Rental Company Information