Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.25/5

National Car Rental Reviews

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I was charged for 4 weeks for car rental of a week - more than $1000 taken off my CC. I have been trying to resolve the issue with National for more than two months. Instead of returning the money they stole from me - all they have done charged me even more in trying to resolve the issue - $400. Although every customer service representative and supervisor admits clear mistake on National part - I cannot recover the money that has been stolen from me. Not only that, but they are taking some more money from my CC without any authorisation. Plain robbery. No email or address for written complaint - all has to be done via phone.

National Car Rental response

Edin, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Over a 12 year period I have two experiences with National. The customer facing side is excellent - always friendly and helpful. The corporate level is not that way.

I admit I made a mistake. I am small business owner that rents cars 200-250 days per year. I used to work for a company that gave me a corporate discount code to use when I rented cars when I worked for them. This corporate number was saved to my National profile. Then last year a guy I work with said “Hey use this discount code and you’ll get even a bigger discount”. He has been using this corporate account number for years. He still uses it to this day, even though he does not work for that company.

I used it for six months. I thought nothing about it. Then one day I received a call from National. They told me to return the car immediately or else a warrant would be issued from my arrest. It was because I was not authorized to use the corporate discount code. Completely shocked I promptly returned the car. National then blocked in their system from ever renting a car from National again. Really? All because I used a discount code? My previous 11 years as a National customer are irrelevant.

Seeking an explanation I placed 4 calls to the regional manager's office. They never returned my call. I sent a letter to the corporate office in Saint Louis. No response. It’s been over a year since this happened. It’s still hard for me to understand. I have never been threatened with arrest before, it’s very unnerving. All because I did the unforgivable – I used a discount code when renting a car at National.

National Car Rental response

Mr. Flake, thank you for your response. I understand and assure you it's not our intention to inconvenience yo. All corporate discounts are only available for use by employees of that company. We're happy to contact the Risk Management upper management team for you in regards to this. To do this, please email care@nationalcar.com with your telephone number, email address, your driver's license number, state where license was issued, and the information above. Your reply is appreciated. - Carol

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

I returned a rental car in Norfolk, VA on 8/26/19. Got to the gate realized that I left a large Hermes shawl on the back seat. Immediately called the local office and left a voice mail. Landed in 40 minutes in DC called customer service opened a claim. Was assured that they are in contact with the local office right away. Next day back in Norfolk stopped by the counter. Asked for the scarf. No scarf. Was directed to online search site to see the listing of lost items. There I found a large number of phone charges, sunglasses, etc. but no my Hermes scarf... So what is going on here? I read another review on this site the same happening with a baby car seat. What exactly makes large valuable items disappear so quickly? National Car rental shame on you. Shame. Feel free to contact me, my claim number is **. Tel: **.

National Car Rental response

alla, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

My husband rented a car from National, 10124 Natural Bridge Rd, St. Louis, MO 63134. He forgot our toddler's new Britax car seat in the car and left for a flight. This happened yesterday at 2pm. I filled up the lost and found form and went to National today. They said they don’t have the car seat. After a lot of requests they called the person who rented the same car today to see if the car seat was in the car. Unfortunately it was not. The people at National say they don’t have it. I asked the manager where it could have gone and he has no answer. I cannot understand how the car seat could get lost within 24 hours. I would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks.

National Car Rental response

Nupur, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Just horrible. Took 3 hours to collect my car from Dubai airport. They charged me 2000 euros of deposit despite full insurance. They did not respect the price agreed online and pushed me to get full insurance. The Indian guy in the parking lot lost the receipt to get me out of the parking and pretended me to pay again. Disgusting company and disgusting people. Stay away.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?

Original review: July 27, 2019

I tried for a very long time to do an online reservation for a car for one day from Helena, MT to Chippewa/Eau Claire, WI. I was unable to do it online and spent the next 40 minutes on the phone trying to get the reservation done and to fix the glitch that wouldn't allow me to do it online. We finally got the reservation done, but the online problem remains. During our conversation, I spoke to the agent at least twice about the fact that I was changing time zones and would need that extra hour - ie 24 vs 23 hours. She told me she couldn't do anything about it on her end, but to just let the agent at the other end know.

When I picked up the car in Helena on Thursday afternoon, I again brought that up to the agent - as I was driving by myself I would need to make sure that I got the entire 24 hours since I was going from MT time to Central time. He told me it would be no problem. I dropped the car off 24 hours later at Chippewa Valley Airport. The next day I got a very nasty call from the shift manager in Helena asking where her car was, and how many more days I needed to add to the contract. I told her I had turned the car in yesterday as planned. She went on and on about how it was a round trip (physically impossible in 24 hours) and that there was no Alamo rental office in Chippewa. I assured her that there was a National Car office and I had dropped the car off there. She then said, "So you abandoned the car?" Conversation devolved from there.

I really don't appreciate being accused of stealing your car. Additionally, she asked me again where I dropped it off, even though she had told me there wasn't an office there. So which is it? You don't know where I dropped it or you don't have an office there? There being where? I then called the customer service and spoke with "Brenda." Brenda was no assistance, advising me that she had to send this to corporate, yada yada yada. She told me there was nobody, not one person, in this billion dollar company who could help me on a weekend. I told her several times that this was an emergency, as I was being accused of theft. No matter to her or to National. After I got off the phone with her, I see that National had tried to put another $400 + on my credit card. Unbelievable.

Original review: July 13, 2019

Please do not rent car from this agency. They are cheaters, I rented Hyundai Car and online the rate shows 70/day. Being Emerald Club member since more than 10 years. I walked in and took this car. When I returned they charged me $266 / day. Recluse, I spoke to one of their Agent and they argued with me saying the rate changes dynamically and that is what the per day rate. Can you someone guess $266/day rate? STOP renting from National Car Rental company.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Tried disputing a lost key charge for a rental out of SJC and was told at the counter to speak with their LAX location since the vehicle was relocated there. Went to the National counter at LAX where the manager said she could do nothing since the San Jose location had put on the charge and is the only one able to remove it. Was promised a response from SJC. Got only silence so I phoned them myself and am still waiting for the manager there to return my call (not holding my breath at this point). I'm Emerald Club Executive three years running, gave National thousands in business each year, and am rewarded with a wild goose chase ping ponging me from Northern to Southern California and back again.

Original review: June 14, 2019

National Rental Car is one of the vendors my employer prefers when employees rent cars for work travel. Because I rent cars for months at a time, I signed up for the rewards program. When I rent for work, I use the company corporate card, which provides company insurance for rental car; for personal rentals, I use my own card. Somehow, in the my profile, the personal card became my "preferred" card. When I would rent for work, I would reserve with the corporate card and present that card at check-out, but I would soon see pending charges on the personal card for the work rental. This happened several times. At first, I thought I had given them the wrong card, but the second time I knew I hadn't. I removed the personal card from my profile to keep this from happening again.

But, I reserved car for personal use just now, and wanted to use free days for some of the rental, and entered the personal card information. And sure enough, the personal card was added to my profile, and made the "preferred" card again, without my permission or my indicating that I wanted this done. Once again, I removed the card, but I expect it will reappear when I actually pick up the car. I don't know why this company can't use the card information they are given at the time of the rental and leave the profile alone. For the two company rentals that were put on the wrong card, I spent a lot of time fixing the problem, even showing up in person at the New Orleans Airport on one occasion. It is ridiculous. Retail stores don't charge cards you own but don't give them, so why does National Rental Car? If you have more than one card in your profile, be sure they charge the correct one.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I rented a vehicle out of Tampa International Airport. Upon returning the vehicle I had to board a plane to head to my next job. I noticed that I left my headphones inside the car about 30 minutes after drop off. I immediately called, filed a claim and attempted to find a way to contact the lost and found in Tampa. Due to the fact that I had to wait on the processing of everything for a lost and found claim, my property is lost in a void of constantly being told to keep checking on the status of my claim. If I could have spoken to lost and found directly then I could have retrieved my items.

Instead I am always told to wait for the email. I understand it’s my responsibility to keep my things in order, however, the long process cost me an item that was over $200 dollars as well. I’ve been using National for such a long time and it pains me to see that if a misplacement is made, then you pretty much have to deal with it and face the fact that it’s lost for good. And I’m willing to bet that the headphones that have been turned in during the last 2 weeks at the Tampa location definitely did not cost over 200 dollars. This incident happened on May 14, 2019.

National Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

National Car Rental was the first company to offer one-way rentals, computerized reservations and a loyalty program. The company is now owned by Enterprise Holdings.

• Executive travel: National Car Rental focuses on providing white glove services to executive travelers, with Emerald Club options to skip the counter, choose any car from the Emerald Club Aisle and be on your way.

• Loyalty program: Customers who enroll for free in the Emerald Club enjoy benefits such as skipping the counter, choosing any car from an Emerald Aisle and applying rewards points to rental days or other travel rewards. Choose Free Rental Days or your favorite frequent traveler program.

• Convenient communication: With email, online, telephone and app connections, customers can make reservations more quickly than ever.

• Pay tolls electronically: Drivers pay a small daily fee plus the cost of tolls to use the TollPass electronic toll payments program, thus avoiding long cash lines and unpaid toll violations.

• Business programs: The National Business Rental Program for any size business offers travelers even more value, speed and convenience. The On The Go Meeting & Convention Program is for car rentals dedicated to the success of your meetings. They also offer Government programs, Military programs and association programs.

• Age: National will rent cars to drivers as young as 18 with a major credit card.

• Best for: Those traveling only one way, business travelers, vacationers, event planners, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles and temporary workers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

National Car Rental Company Information