2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.81/5

National Car Rental offers SUVs, cars, vans and trucks at more than 1,500 locations worldwide. Drivers can purchase roadside protection and supplemental liability protection for an extra cost. The Emerald Club program lets drivers enjoy an upgraded vehicle selection, free rental days, priority service and easy check-in and checkout.

National Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I rented a car in Kalamazoo, MI on July 25, 2020 that was returned at the Minneapolis airport the next day (July 26, 2020). The person who checked it in stated that there were no problems with the car. Shortly after this, I began receiving emails and mail stating that the car had been damaged. I called National and the person I spoke to said there was no record of the car being damaged. He gave me a number to call and over the following two days I spent more than two hours on hold without ever being able to speak to a human.

The emails and mail continue. The one I received yesterday told me I now owe $1800. A short internet search quickly proved that this is a common scam perpetrated by this company, including being told when you call to ask what the damage was, that they have no record of any damage, AND then are given a number where no one ever answers the phone when you try to call. Followed by an email demanding payments. Another common trend is that the damage was to the ROOF of the car, which is what the most recent scam email states happened to the car I rented. I have been a loyal car renter for National for a number of years, but no more. I have sent two messages to National Car Rental. I have contacted the company for the credit card I used to rent the car, to alert them to this scam. My next step will be to file a claim with my state's attorney general's office.

National Car Rental response

Maryanne, thank you for contacting the Social Team. All damage claims are handled by our Damage Recovery Unit. Please contact that team directly at 1-866-300-3239 or by email at CustomerClaimConcern@ehi.com. Thank you! – Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

I reserved a car at National on Phone at Tyler, Airport. When I went to pick car at the scheduled time, they said car was not available and the receptionist lady communicated with Hertz and referred to go to Hertz which said car available at higher rate for same size than rate reserved on phone. The disappointing part is I called back at reservation phone number who said car was available at Tyler, Airport location where we were booked. So I felt the receptionist lady was simply doing business to refer to different company and get the commission. I had to cancel my 4 days trip, important meetings, and a potential job position. They ruined my life. Incident: August 13, 2020. Really disappointed at the way they were handling their customer. The Receptionist lady was unwilling to hear anything and said that cars get taken quickly while the recalling the reservation still showed the cars availability.

National Car Rental response

Sarju, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

We were happy with the convenience and the friendliness of the National worker when we picked up the car at Denver Int’l, but when we dropped it off we were met with two rude and seemingly sexist men. Within 30 seconds of getting out of the car, my 20yr old daughter and I (mid 40’s female) were informed that we had put a dent/scrape on the car. I explained to the man that we had no incidents with the car whatsoever, and that there must be some record that the dent existed before we rented it. He called over his manager and both men were disrespectful, rushed, and condescending in their tone and attitude towards us. I have traveled with my husband (a mid 40’s businessman) many times and I get the unfortunate impression that if he had been with us, we wouldn’t have been accused of denting the car and we would’ve been treated more respectfully.

Incidentally, my husband says he has never even had his car inspected at the National drop off. When I inquired about any records that might show that the dent was already there, the manager said that all of that paperwork was inside and he would have to look at it. The obvious question is - why would he accuse a woman of denting the car if there might be evidence that the dent was already there? That is extremely poor customer service. I will never use National Car Rental again and will discourage my female friends from using their service. In the end, we were not charged for the dent in the car. Instead of looking through the car’s history to see if the dent was already there, the manager decided to save face and say that the dent was not large enough to charge us for it. He never apologized and never acknowledged that we were telling the truth.

Cindy,
We’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@NationalCar.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us.

Carol H.

Original review: July 11, 2020

I call to get road service due to a mechanical issue, road service says, "Ok, we booked you a replacement car, go to location and pick up." I go to location, no record of me and to make it worse, no cars. I call road service back, they say, "Ok checking" and then hang up before finishing the where to go next, and no call back. I call back for the 3rd time, "Sorry everyone is closed, maybe you can fix it yourself." It's a good thing the car was still drivable, they offered no solutions and pretty much didn't seem to care... This will be my last rental with NATIONAL, to just say, "Sorry - we can't help you" is not acceptable and I will also be sure to spread the word to all 25,000 co-workers. "BEWARE RENTING FROM NATIONAL."

National Car Rental response

Jeffery, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: June 29, 2020

We purchased our rental through Allegiant. There were extra taxes and fees charged at the airport. The car was not cleaned well, none of them were. With covid 19 you would think they would be concerned about that. Thankfully I brought disinfecting wipes. We decided on National because their desk and cars were the closest to the terminal only to find they had moved, with very poor signage, to the back lot with Alamo. My mother in law has trouble with her knees and we wanted to keep the distance short for her. I did leave her at baggage and picked her up in the car. Upon returning at 3:30am it was unclear what lot we were supposed to go to until we turned into a lot that said National only to be greeted by a sign scribbling out National and telling us to go to another lot. We couldn't because the return lots have tire spikes at the exits.

I parked the car and the sign said to go to the alamo desk way at the end of the parking lot if there wasn't an attendant present. I and many other customers trekked to the desk only to find it closed. I walked back to the car, left the keys in it and took a picture of the poor signage and of the car parked in front of the not scribbled out National sign in front of the space it was parked in. A couple of days later I received a charge for an extra day. Apparently that's how long it took them to find the car in front of their sign. I called to have the charge removed and they told me they would have to put in a request for a refund and it would take a few days. Nothing. I called again a week later and this time they issued the refund on the spot so I guess they don't have to request it after all. They are dirty, stupid and will waste your time. This was my first and last time renting from them.

National Car Rental response

Leah, thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you'd like to speak with us directly, we're happy to review this with you. To do so please email Care@Nationalcar.com with your contact information, exact rental office location, rental contract information and the details above so we can address this situation. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I have left a handicapped placard after I returned my rental to DFW. I filed a lost and found and went to the rental car center about 1.5 weeks later. The people at the National refused to help and told me to go home and wait. Of course, their rule is that once you filed the Lost and Found you can also search the lost and found website to see if there's anything that matches and inquire. They did find a parking permit. After putting a request with the National Rental Website, I get an email to call the local DFW number or go to the rental center again. The number is essentially an unmanned since nobody ever picks up the phone. I went by the office and told them the item number. This time the personnel said that it was a handicapped placard that they found close to the day of my return, but of course he refused to return claiming that someone was coming to pick it. I asked him to check the number to make sure it was not my placard. Of course he didn't.

I emailed National again and each they sent the same email that DFW National Rental will respond. After almost 3 weeks still nothing. After going back and forth (more than 6-7 times), I get another email to call the number that is unmanned to check. So much for customer service. Because it is a handicapped placard, obviously National does not care about the ADA. I had to file a stolen placard with the police to get a new one. This blatant attempt at lying and at kicking the ball around ensure that I will never and will tell everyone to never rent from National. If you want accountability or respect, you will not get it from them. I'm one of those customers that rent about 2x and 3x a week. If this is how they treat a frequent renter, I can't even imagine how they would treat someone who rents occasionally.

National Car Rental response

Jennifer, when you file a lost item report the team at the airport lost and found team conducts a search to see if they have a match. When a match is placed in the system, you receive an email & phone to notify you your item has been found. From the email, you can chose to ship it back, pick it up or donate. Please continue to work with our DFW Lost & Found team. Thank you! - Carol H. http://bit.ly/29XDqVe

Original review: May 13, 2020

I have rented dozens of times exclusively for business and personal use from National Car Rental and now I NEVER will rent from them again. I rented a car from them and when I returned it, they pointed out damage that I couldn't even see (AND DIDN'T DO). I was in a hurry to get to the airport and didn't take photos, but explained to the lot person that I didn't do the damage they think they see under the front bumper. They said their manager would be in touch and they never did. Then, I get a letter from the Damage Recovery Unit claiming that I need to pay them and they don't even say how much, nor prove with any photographic evidence or any itemization of WHAT was damaged. I promptly turned it over to my insurance agency who found me not responsible for whatever damage that National Car Rental said I was on the hook for.

It's a total scam, you could see they prey on people the moment they pull in the lot to return the car. They also never did a walk around of the car when we picked it up! I thought, cool Hawaii-style, must be more laid back. I didn't see any damage, so I thought we were fine. I've seen other reviews online of this location, I think it's something they do to rip people off. I am appalled that they now have sent me a bill for nearly $1,000 in damage that I didn't cause nor could I even see. They still don't itemize what the damage was! I called them and disputed it, they still found me to be to blame. OF COURSE THEY DO. I'm going to fight this because this is absolutely ridiculous.

National Car Rental response

Noah, we appreciate it when customers tell us about their experiences and recognize how disappointing this must be. At your convenience, please reach out to us at Care@Nationalcar.com with the details above, your claims, reservation, and rental agreement numbers, rental office location, and your contact information. Thank you. - Carol H.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I rented my first car on March 17, 2020 from Charleston Airport in S.C. I picked the car up at 6:40am and was dropping it off at Myrtle Beach Airport in S.C. at around 9:00am. When we picked the car up, it was early morning, so it was dark and the car was black. We were told at the desk that we did not need to do anything more and were told where the car was located in the lot. No attendant came out to look the car over with us and no attendants were in the parking lot to look over the car (which at the time we had no idea this was supposed to happen- remember first time renters). We drove the car the 100 miles with no stopping and no issues- hardly anyone drives that road at that time.

When we got to Myrtle Beach Airport, the attendant found a scratch at the very bottom of the passenger side, almost under the car- which was clearly not seen by us in a dark parking lot at 630am under no parking lot lights, and without an attendant to tell us to look for scratches/damages or come out and look with us. At the desk, they said they would look into it and give me a call. I received a phone call on March 24th asking me to reach out by emailing them, which I did on March 25th and received no response. I did not hear anything back from them until today, when I received a letter in the mail stating that I owe over $800 for this scratch that I did not contribute to.

It was clear that National Car Rental’s employees at Charleston International Airport did not do their job in showing me around the car and looking for damages, nor telling me that checking for damage was something I needed to do to tell them if there were any marks on the car at all. I even mentioned to the front desk attendant that it was my first time renting, so I wasn’t sure of the process. I can guarantee that if I ever need to rent a car again, I will never rent from National or any affiliated rental agencies, and I will also ensure that all of my friends and family don’t either.

National Car Rental response

Jennifer, it's never our intention to inconvenience a valued customer. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the claims, reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: April 22, 2020

After reviewing other experiences, I had to contribute. My car was picked up at Calgary airport in a dimly lit garage. Damage document was laying on the front seat for me to approve, and had no damage reported. The car was not well washed, if at all prior to my arrival. No attendant assisted with a search for damage nor was there a scan for damage done prior to my arrival. How do I know? The windshield was significantly damaged but nothing marked on the report. I did a walk-around, noticed the windshield damage but was unable to see nor notice other damage, took photos but due to lighting and angle it was difficult to see the damage. However, after reviewing the photos, definite blemish can be seen exactly where the damage was.

I drove the vehicle directly to a secured parking lot, then drove the vehicle from there to Edmonton airport 3 hours from the origin. Nothing collided with the vehicle so I know there was no damage caused during my trip. Upon return, the attendant immediately noticed damage but rudely ignored any argument. Very shortly after I was contacted by the Damage Recovery Unit wanting to know how I would pay for the damages of $980. I asked for evidence to show it was caused by me but nothing was provided. I sent a letter of defense to the Risk Management department detailing events and again asking to provide a chain of custody showing damage was cause by me. The only response I got was, "We have reviewed the case and advised the DRU to proceed with collecting for damages."

Today, I received another email asking for $1200 for the same alleged damage and please pay now. Interestingly this vehicle was rented through my company, paid for by company credit card but the shakedown is 100% directed at me, the individual. I have used many rental vehicles throughout my career and have never been treated with this level of disrespect and intimidation. Words of advice, take photos of all four sides of the vehicle prior to departure and the same upon returning the vehicle (Interestingly, on an unrelated rental return to National, I was asked by the rep. why I was taking photos). Also have a representative accompany you during your pre trip inspection. If they fail to do so, it may be a red flag.

Mark,
We’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Nationalcar.com include the exact Calgary rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement and reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us.
We look forward to hearing from you.

Carol H.

Original review: April 17, 2020

I have endured the browbeating and bullying of National's Damage Recovery Unit for the last time. A word to the wise: Rent from National and you will pay the price--quite literally--for differing inspection standards between National locations, such that damage caused by predecessor renters will be paid for by you. You will be shaken down and harassed for even minor damage. Good luck arguing with them that the damage was inherited, and that perhaps a car rented in an airport parking garage might have damage unnoticed until returned to a different, brightly sunlit location. In my case, for recouping $1,000 for trivial dents they have lost the business of this Emerald Club member dating back to 2000, in the course of which I spent more than that on an annual basis. I hope they consider it was worth it to them.

Herman,
We’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Nationalcar.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us.
We look forward to hearing from you.

National Car Rental Company Information