3.5/5 (57 ratings)

About National Car Rental

National Car Rental offers SUVs, cars, vans and trucks at more than 1,500 locations worldwide. Drivers can purchase roadside protection and supplemental liability protection for an extra cost. The Emerald Club program lets drivers enjoy an upgraded vehicle selection, free rental days, priority service and easy check-in and checkout.

National Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

SIX phone calls in the last week, that's how I'll begin this review. I started using National for business travel, and was relatively pleased with my initial experience. The line at the counter was practically non-existent in the Car Rental terminal of PHX while the line for the AVIS counter was a mile long...but now I understand why. The car was also fantastic, but the negative experiences all come in with trying to set up a rewards account and apply my reservations to it.

I was originally unable to create a rewards account in the rental terminal of PHX because, despite adding all my payment information, the both the app and the website continually refused it. Problem is, they never told me it was refused or why -- nothing happened and I couldn't proceed. So I continue on with my rental as-is, thinking I'd be able to add a rewards account to it as I returned the car or just after. The car return was easy but did not give me the opportunity to speak with anyone regarding my rewards account, so I tried to call Customer Service, which is absolutely useless even if you are a rewards member or business traveler. This is where I have made SIX phone calls in the last week, been told something different every time, and never had anything happen afterward.

First contact said they didn't know what was going on but there were no recorded issues, try again later. I asked for a case number or something to reference next time I called, but apparently nothing existed or it was "internal". So fine, I called again a few hours later. Second contact tried to say the same thing as the first, but I had already tried again later -- I needed actual information. He hung up on me, even though I was perfectly pleasant throughout the interaction.

The next morning was contact #3, and they said there WAS work being done with the website, so try again later (remember, I had been trying for about a week on my own to simply open an account). In the end, I had to try opening a rewards account at AVIS simply to have it tell me the card was the problem. Using another card with National (Why???) worked, at which point I was able to create an account, add the card I'd been trying to use, and delete the personal card. What a hassle.

Fast forward a few days, it's now Friday (almost a week since I returned the last rental). Now that I've finally created an account I would like to take the reservation that I had just completed less than a week ago and have it applied to my National Emerald Club account. It's the least they could do for all the hassle right? No, I call and he has to "submit a request to see if it will be approved", even though the only reason I couldn't apply this initially was because of THEIR app. I also needed to add an existing, UPCOMING reservation to my account, which he claims he did, but when I didn't see it populate by Monday I called back. This person told me I needed to contact the travel agent that set up the reservation for me. What...the actual...? Why did the person on Friday tell me it was added then?

All of this experience out of one completed rental, and a second upcoming which I may just decide to switch vendors for. The cars at National are great, the wait for at least the one airport was fantastically non-existent, but don't expect them to care once they have your money.

National Car Rental response

Tim, we're disappointed to hear this and are happy to take a look at this for you. At your convenience, please email Care@Nationalcar.com with the details above, your full name, email address, telephone number, Emerald Club id, and any rental agreement numbers so we can look into this promptly. - Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

I used them a number of times in the past 2 years. The ONLY rental company I will ever deal with who has always had awesome price, selection, and service. The on-site employees and those at the toll-free customer service are the best!

National Car Rental response

Harry, your recommendation means so much to us and we're so happy to have earned it. Our teams strive to deliver an excellent experience, and we're glad you've found this to be the case If you have further needs or questions, please reach out!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

1. Few years ago, rented a Tiguan in Calgary AB Canada. Breakdown in Las Vegas Nevada. Staff did not know to manually enter info, because car was rented out of USA. Lost $500.00 prescription glasses, because staff made us change vehicles twice. Staff was more interested in returns, than helping us! Then supervisor finally showed up, and we were given a van to continue on holidays.

2. Today, wanted to use my Emerald Card free rental points. Was informed by "Mary" could only rent a Intermediate, through economy cars only. I informed Mary, I have always rented standard SUVs, or larger, because I am a big guy, and I cannot fit in small vehicles. I informed Mary, I am willing to pay the extra $10.00 (Approximately, plus taxes etc.). Mary said can't be done. I have requested someone from National Head Office, contact me tomorrow. Mary stated someone will contact me tomorrow. Let's see if National can accommodate me with this minor issue.

Pete

National Car Rental response

Pete, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

This company double charged the full cost of my 4 day rental. The customer service I've received has been nothing short of horrible and nonexistent. The result was that I couldn't check into my hotel out of state. They're still holding my money after promising it would be resolved yesterday within 25 minutes. Don't book with these people!

National Car Rental response

Reese, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations we would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Nationalcar.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Resolution response: Aug. 29, 2021

I was able to resolved this issue.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

If I could give 0 starts, I would. The vehicle provided to me was smaller than the size promised on the website. Also, the car had an awful odor that made the trip extremely unpleasant. However, the biggest disappointment were when roaches started appearing from everywhere as the car had a roach infestation. I have visual proof of the issues mentioned above. After letting customer service from the branch known my concerns, the representative informed me that the branch manager would contact me. However, I was never approached by anyone. As a result, I find myself quite dissatisfied with your customer service.

National Car Rental response

Yani, thank you for your review. We are committed to maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness today and every day. If those standards were not met we’d like to speak with you to learn more. At your convenience, please email Care@Nationalcar.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. - Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

My husband rented a standard full-size car for 7 days in Seattle. The order confirmation stated that the price would be $350, however, the National Car Rental charged us $850. We called their customer service 4 times, and they kept saying someone would call us back. We waited for 9 days, and received nothing. I also sent the email to care@nationalcar.com, and a person called Pegan said the National Car Rental secretly may change our contract without noticing us. Pegan refused to provide any further help. How can I trust National Car Rental in the future??? Is contract lawful in this company??? I am so regretful that we chose this company, and I feel so sad that I have trusted this company for years.

National Car Rental response

Jiaqi, thank you for sharing this with us. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Resolution response: Aug. 6, 2021

I received a response from the company that they would provide the appropriate refund.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I have rented from National at Orlando International Airport several times this past year. I have not had an issue until this past week. I booked my reservation with a confirmed total of $290.65. As instructed, I went to the Executive area and selected my vehicle. I checked out as usual and proceeded to my hotel. I was shocked when I checked the receipt to see that I had been charged $866.40—nearly triple the amount I had agreed to! I contacted customer service immediately and they responded a day later, asking for my original confirmation, which I promptly sent. I waited another day for a response, at which point I was told my case was being sent to the Orlando office and that I would be contacted "as soon as they can get the billing fixed." I waited for another SIX days with no word. I again contacted the main customer service group to note that I had not heard from the Orlando office.

Later that day I finally received an email from Bryan **, Tri-Brand Station Manager, who said that the code I used to book my rental was no longer valid, but "in the spirit of making it right" he had refunded me $126. Somehow the rate no longer working was my fault, and they were entitled to triple my cost when I drove off the lot??? Furthermore, I was able to use the same code for a subsequent reservation in October. I immediately replied that I was entitled to a refund of $575.75, once again attaching my original confirmation for $290.65. Bryan did not respond for over two days. I sent emails to both National customer service and Bryan letting them know their response was unacceptable and that I would be charging back the amount, filing complaints, and contacting legal services, to which I have not received a response.

The real kicker is that when I returned the car, I accidentally left my Gucci sunglasses on the front seat. I returned to the lot 10 minutes later and watched the car I had just returned drive away. I went to the kiosk and told them I needed my sunglasses back. After about 10 minutes the rep told me that the car had already been cleaned and the glasses were not in there. How unbelievably dishonest. I guess I shouldn't have expected anything more considering how dishonest the entire staff at the Orlando office appear to be.

National Car Rental response

Emily, thank you for sharing this concern with us and we certainly understand your sentiments. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I booked a seven passenger SUV months in advance for vacation from National this past year. I'm due to pick the car up the day before my family was going on vacation and I had work at noon. Pick up was 10am. I got there just before 10am, and initially waited a half hour to forty-five minutes In Line. Meanwhile over hearing all the complaining frustrated people in front of me, and the kid at the desk telling everyone "there's nothing he can do about it", I wasn't paying too much attention...probably should have been.

It's my turn and he proceeds to take my driver's license and credit card, takes fifteen more minutes at least getting everything into the computer then proceeded to tell me he doesn't have anything for me of what I rented. So I'm standing there dumbfounded at the lack of care in this kid and the fact that it's always too good to be true with anything it seems anymore. He tells me he has a minivan and that's it. So I ask to see it first. Meanwhile I'm scouring the lot for something else. ANYTHING ELSE that would work for vacation. I see a Ford Explorer and figure that would work just as well for what we needed.

I come back in and ask the guy if I could just take the explorer instead out there, I don't necessarily need seating for 7, five would be ok. And guess what that rude kid at the counter said? "No, I can't. Sorry there's nothing I can do". "What do you mean no? Why not?" He never gave me an explanation, nothing. Didn't want to talk to me, didn't want to help me. He was rude and I was talking to a wall. I honestly think from his attitude that he was annoyed that I didn't want the van. He was annoyed that I was a woman in my thirties that didn't want a van and was upset about it and he didn't want to deal with it or fix the situation... No I don't want a van, that's not what I booked. Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean I drive minivans and should be happy with it. Jerk.

So I reluctantly took the van. However I called National car company corporate and spoke with a supervisor to try and confirm or deny the line of crap he gave me about why there was nothing else sitting on the lot I could have. (Cars sitting out there that I actually booked that he wouldn't give me)... He told me when they didn't have a car for me, that the reason was because all, ALL OF THE seven passenger SUVs were recalled. All makes and models were recalled.... What the heck.. All makes and models? At the same exact time? All different years too? It made no sense.

So the lady I talked to from national was very nice on the phone. I explained the issue and my question and what I had been told. She told me (I KID YOU NOT) that there was a recall on the MINIVANS in the area that I picked the car up from. So..long story short. They not only had terrible customer service. They lied and then also gave me a recalled vehicle to drive on vacation with my family which I fought in the first place not to have. No one has reached out to me yet, I'v emailed, called, left my number with that woman I spoke with, nothing. So I'm going to keep writing reviews so everyone knows how awful the service was and hopefully will rent with another agency. I have rented many many cars from many different places and nothing compares to this in how terrible it was.

National Car Rental response

Amanda, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations we would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Nationalcar.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: July 14, 2021

National makes it very easy to pick up and drop off a car. That creates a problem if you need your Rental Agreement after the fact. They only provide the receipt on their website. I'm trying to file a damage claim via my credit card (charged for damages I didn't create, but that's another story) and I can't obtain the required documents. Buyer beware, they want you in and out quickly for their own benefit.

National Car Rental response

Martine, thank you for your review. All damage claims are handled by our Damage Recovery Unit. Please contact that team directly at 1-866-300-3239 or by email at CustomerClaimConcern@ehi.com. Thank you! – Carol H.

Original review: July 13, 2021

The SUV we rented did not have tags, so it was unavailable. They had no vehicles to replace it. We called several days in advance to be sure that we had a vehicle available for our trip. My wife is Emerald Elite and was assured when she called that her VIP rental would be available. They were unable to find a replacement. I would never rent from this location if my wife wasn't required to rent here for her company rental. The other rental companies at the airport had plenty of inventory.

National Car Rental response

Paul, we're sorry to hear of your disappointment. If we can help you out, please email Care@Nationalcar.com with your full name, contact telephone number, email address, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Resolution response: July 7, 2021

National did not charge us for the entire trip but the way their manager and regional managers were talking was very rude. I think they don't consider customer satisfaction as a part of their process. The way their regional manager was talking was very rude. But upgrading the rating as they did not charge for the worst service they had given.

Original review: July 4, 2021

Don't ever book a rental with National!!! Their roadside assistance is a scam. We literally were trapped on the road for whole night because of flat from where we had to catch a bus to Aspen CO. They had rental cars nearby but they didn't care for us. We booked with other rental company. They hanged on us for 5-6 times. No help at all from National. Will never recommend to anyone and will never book with them.

National Car Rental response

Tushar, thank you for sharing this with us. I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: June 25, 2021

This incompetent "car rental service" - if you dare disgrace the industry by calling it such - didn't have my reserved vehicle. Employee was belligerent and called me a "chink". I'm sure some people would find that hilarious but personally I didn't. I'm not even Chinese, I'm Korean.

National Car Rental response

Hummus, we take this seriously and would like to discuss your experience further. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Resolution response: June 9, 2021

After several months of calling, this issue was resolved. National Car credited me back for the billing mistake, it is a shame that it took so long. I will update my rating on the fact that it was resolved and this is the only issue I have had with them and I will try using them again. Lesson learned, do not drop off car without someone inspecting it before you leave.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I have always used National for car rentals but not impressed with recent rental. Picked up car at Atlanta airport for business and returned the next day. No one was there to check in the car so I left to catch my flight. Upon receiving my bill, I was charged $250 which when I called, I was told it was from smoking in the car and having it cleaned. I DO NOT SMOKE and I did not even drink anything in the car. Numerous calls and being told someone would contact me and nothing. Seems National does not appreciate my business and as much as I travel, I Do Not have to use them.

National Car Rental response

Tim, thank you for sharing this concern with us. I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: May 15, 2021

It's so easy to get your car, especially at the airport. You can go right to your car after picking the one you want. They are well cleaned and well maintained. The car return process is easy and efficient. The people are very nice too.

National Car Rental response

Ken, we're happy that you've chosen to rent with us and it’s great to hear that you are enjoying just a few of the many perks that the Emerald club has to offer. We'll see you soon! – Carol H.

Original review: March 1, 2021

Me or my company will never rent from National again. We rented a car in Great Falls, I jumped in it and left without checking for damage myself before I left. Big mistake! I had the car for one day and absolutely hit nothing. After I returned it they called and said it had a cracked fog light. No big deal right? I told them I hadn't hit anything but didn't have proof so I agreed to pay for a fog light. Later I got a bill for $1600!! They had replaced a fog light, a tail light, a new tire and a new wheel. I told them that was ridiculous but they wouldn't negotiate at all. None of this damage was from us. Our company does $20,000 a year in rentals and I will never rent from National again if I live to be 102.

National Car Rental response

John, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations I would like to know more about your experience so I can help. Please email Care@Nationalcar.com and include the rental location, rental agreement or reservation numbers and your contact information. Thank you. - CH

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Been using National for years and it's great unless the car doesn't work. Urgently, the company they assign roadside assistance to is terrible. I contacted them yesterday at 1:00 because a car broke down. They sent a tow to pick it up and drove me to a branch that was closed, then had me and the truck go to another branch with no cars. I had to get myself back and spent hours being passed around to different people and being placed on hold. I finally got it set up to have a car delivered the next morning but then had people try to change that so had to spend more hours on the phone to get it squared away. Next time I'll know to use Hertz or someone who can actually replace a broken car in less than 30 hours.

National Car Rental response

Thank you for your review, James. I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations if you can provide a few more details, I would be happy to look into this further for you. Please email Care@Nationalcar.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I had a horrific, abusive experience at National Car Rental in Victoria, BC with manager Rummy **. I booked a car rental on Expedia and, upon arrival, he stated matter of factly they did not have any vehicle for me and offered no apology. I expressed upset that they allowed me to reserve a car when there was not one available. He said I could take a larger car (a mini SUV) that had a crack in the windshield. Being without options to get to my doctor's appointment in Duncan, I said okay, and asked if I could please have a courtesy discount for the extra cost of gas, for the larger car that I did not want (I prefer to drive a smaller car), and because they had given a reservation and not kept their agreement. He said no, and that $30 a day is not much money for a car rental.

I was very frustrated and told him that I would be leaving a negative review because of my experience. He got upset and said that I was threatening him. I said that I was not threatening him, but rather I was letting him know that this is extremely poor customer service and is unacceptable. He told the employee to cancel my reservation, told me that he would no longer rent a car to me, and then ordered the employee to, "Go back outside and keep cleaning!" I said that I would now be making a formal complaint. He stated it didn't matter because he's the manager.

I said I would go to the district level and he made a comment that it wouldn't matter and then told me to get out of the store. I demanded his business card. He gave it to me and ordered me to leave and said, "Maybe if you were nicer, I would have given you a discount," and then said something else. I turned around and asked him what he said and he said, "Never mind," and then yelled at me to, "Get off of this property!" multiple times. I have never been so traumatized or treated so horrifically at a business in all of my life. Not only should he have, at the very least, sincerely apologized for not having a car for me, if he would not give me a discount as a good will gesture, he should have kept himself in control.

I made a complaint at National's corporate office, and will follow up until I know this has been investigated and handled. I also urge the company to review this location and manager's complaint record and employee turnover, because the abusive way he treated me and his employee was terrible and absolutely unacceptable. I ended up going next door to Budget and was treated well and got a vehicle for a lower price without being subjected to abuse.

National Car Rental response

Carly, your feedback is important in maintaining and improving service and satisfaction for all our valued customers. We would like to discuss your experience with us in more detail. Please email us at care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, reservation or rental agreement number, and any additional details. Thank you. -Carol H.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I’ve been renting from National for a few years. Last year decided to sign up for the Emerald Club. So much more convenient. Less hassle to use the Emerald Isle. I don’t have to go through the counter which is always such a hassle. They always want to add to you rental especially insurance that I know for a fact my insurance covers rentals. You go pick your car and leave that simple. Price is very reasonable. I’ve only had experience in Detroit and Florida locations but never a bad one yet.

National Car Rental response

Deb, we're thrilled that you've chosen to rent with us and are happy t to hear that you're enjoying just a few of the many perks that the Emerald club has to offer. We'll see you soon! – Carol

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

We planned a cross country vacation months ahead with reservations made. We arrived at Logan International to retrieve the Suburban or similar sized vehicle that was reserved. We are told it’s not available and maybe we don’t need such a a large vehicle. 6 people and six large pieces of luggage beg to differ. After an hour of being talked down to by desk staff that a mini van would work for our situation we were finally given a vehicle matching our reservation even though they stated they did not have any. We travel hours away to where we are staying and the next morning the car won’t start. Contact National and they offer roadside assistance. The next day vehicle won’t start again. And so on and so on. Sounds like a bad battery, that was probably bad before we got the vehicle since we never had to start it.

After being blown off by a supervisor to return a call for over six hours we call back and are told to wait for the supervisor to call and a long conversation later we are told there are more important calls to be taken and the most they could offer was to be picked up in a tow truck and towed to Portsmouth 2 hours away. They wouldn’t verify if a vehicle our size would be available and told us to call. So we tried and Portsmouth office is closed. So they were going to tow us 2 hours away to leave us over night in a dead vehicle to wait for a car that wouldn’t get us or our belongings where we needed to be. So we are stranded and still waiting over 8 hours for the supervisor to call us back. No compensation or helpful assistance has been offered. Whatever happened to customer service. Do yourself the favor and choose a non affiliated company since even the employees don’t know how to answer the phone for the correct company.

National Car Rental response

Paul, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations and assure you it's never our intention to inconvenience a valued customer. We would like to look into this further but need some more information. Please email the details of your rental, your contact information, exact rental office, and your reservation or rental agreement number to Care@Nationalcar.com. Thank you –Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I'm here to join the numerous long-time Elite National Customers for over 7 yrs. We rented a car at the SFO airport as I have done thousands of time over the almost decade. We got an email that the car we rented had a Manufacturer's recall by Ford (ford edge) and we needed to bring it back in right away - Mind you we prepaid for gas on this car as well - When we got there the guy inspected the car- gave us our ticket to swap for a new car and we proceed to go and choose another car.

As we were looking for a replacement a manager came running over to us yelling that there was a dent on the top of the car. We were totally confused because we never damaged the car - when we got there there was a small crack on the right grill that looked like normal wear and tear, not an accident or anything like that. The manager was extremely rude as I told him "We didn't do this damage". He didn't care, keep writing up a report - in hindsight I should never signed it (but did write on the report that we did not do this damage in all caps). The manager asked if we wanted a replacement - I said no - I'm done with National - he said “that’s just fine with me.”

Additionally my daughter indicated that we are going to put this on Yelp, Facebook and every other social media outlet we find to warn people that National is just passing on their charges to unsuspecting customers (Long standing ones) - He said “go right ahead” I'm done with them and the manager Brian - you were rude and condescending and I think you, the inspector and National know that you guys are just scamming folks - there are enough folks here to reach out to and start a class-action lawsuit on your scamming practices for unsuspecting customers.

If you are going to charge customers for damage - you should have better outgoing inspection to ensure you are not wrongly accusing the wrong customer for damage they did not do. If you are not good at catching this stuff at the right time, you can't just keep passing the buck on to the next customer - We are going to fight this in the court of public opinion - You have lost my business and I hope you lose a lot more with these practices. COVID may wreck havoc on your entire business but don't take it out on the customers you still have - that's a really dumb business strategy. Consumer affairs - please contact me - I have pictures.

National Car Rental response

Charlotta, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations and assure you it's never our intention to inconvenience you. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Ugh. Returned Cargo Van FULL. Was Checked-In by employee who recorded the fuel gauge FULL + read the odometer. 4 DAYS LATER Manager billed $18 for gas, as it needed to be <>?! Now I need to show my top-up gas receipt?!! What a Gas Money Scam cash grab. Rent anywhere else, or you're leaving yourself wide-open. Steer clear. This location is untrustworthy & terrible!

National Car Rental response

Tamara, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations. This team is happy to take a closer look at your rental however we will need some additional details. Please email Care@Nationalcar.com with your contact telephone number, email address, exact rental office location, and your reservation and rental agreement number. Thank you! – Carol

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

We used National enterprise car rental for our stay in Myrtle beach. The national manager at the airport gave us a really hard time when we got the car. She said we couldn’t use the rental agreement that our boss set up for us through our company even though we called and verified with national days before the vacation. She then tried to set up a new rental aggreement and wanted us to pay $80 extra dollars for insurance when we had already taken care of it everything.

Finally when she made me prove I worked with my boss I paid for the rental with my card and they put it on hold. On the 18th they put that $200 back in my account without saying anything or giving me a notification. So I assumed that was my money and spent it. Today on the 20th they took the $200 back and made my account go into the negatives. I called hysterical and crying they said there’s nothing they can do. Poor customer service like I’ve never experienced before. The manager was rude and the women I called for this matter was completely unhelpful. National Enterprise do better.

National Car Rental response

Samantha, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Nationalcar.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. - Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

My husband and I just got through renting a car from the Denver airport location. We went to turn our car back in and a dent was discovered on the front bumper. Knowing we didn’t make this dent, we asked to speak to the manager. The manager swiftly came over, looked at the damage and said this is no big deal and nothing to worry about. Two days later we get an email saying that we are responsible to pay for all of the damage.

Once again, positive that this damage was already on the car before we rented it, we find a picture we took of the front of the car (dented bumper showing) the first day of our trip and send it as a response to the email that says we owe for the damages. No response. We then, one week later, get a bill for over $1000 to fix the dent.

Next part of the story. My husband has used National Car Rental weekly for his work for years. This is the third time this has occurred to him where staff at National Car Rental has not assessed cars well enough after customer rentals and then pinned damage on the next renter. Enough is enough. This is a dishonest company and we will be taking our business and his company’s business elsewhere.

National Car Rental response

Erica, we're certainly sorry to hear of your disappointment and would be happy to speak with you further. All damage claims are handled by our Damage Recovery Unit. Please contact that team directly at 1-866-300-3239 or by email at CustomerClaimConcern@ehi.com. Thank you! – CH

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

Absolutely horrible experience! I reserved a mini van to use for business at IAH here in Houston, The day of my rental I went and picked up my vehicle at 8:37am and about 10 minutes down the road as I entered the free way the BACK HATCH OF THE MINI VAN FLEW OPEN! I got out to shut it thinking maybe it was never closed in the first place. Upon my inspection I found out that the latch to the door was stuck in the locked position making it impossible to close the door. Frustrated I called customer service to have them come tow the vehicle and bring me a new vehicle as I had important meetings scheduled throughout the day, I was first asked if I could just drive the mini van back to the lot with the hatch open to which I replied NO BECAUSE IT'S ILLEGAL! The operator agreed then stated they would send a tow truck with a new vehicle same type so that I would be on my way.

I waited 3 and a Half hrs for the TOW TRUCK! I had 2 private tow trucks attempt to help me but at my own expense and refused because this was not my problem. Once the tow truck arrived at NOON I had already missed 3 meetings and a scheduled pick of clients. I then called customer service to have them at the very least compensate me for the inconvenience to which they replied I would have to take it up with the manager on duty upon returning the car.

When I went to return the car I spoke with manager on duty Jeffrey ** and explained the situation that had unfolded, His response without showing any empathy was unfortunately there was nothing he could do at the time because my account had closed out the minute I returned the car and in order for him to have access to change anything I would have had to tell the guys who checked in my return first. (I was never given these instructions by any one person in customer service the first time I called). Jeffrey then stated that because it was a Saturday that I could come back Monday and speak with a supervisor above him who could approve any type of compensation.

Today Monday 10/5/2020 I returned to speak with supervisor and out comes Jefferey **, who pretended to not remember me or what had already transpired, Absolutely irritated and begrudgingly I re-Explained everything that literally was in the notes of my account to begin with. Mr. ** then stated that there was nothing that could be done and the fact that I was able to switch vehicles should have been compensation enough, even though I explained my entire day was blown behind the faulty vehicle in which clearly wasn't inspected upon it's original return and then loaned out to myself un-inspected as well.

Mr. ** then stated that he would still go get a supervisor to see what could be done and leave behind a door, not even 2 minutes passed before he comes rushing out tell the front desk service person to see if I added Roadside Assistance to my rental. I asked what for and what does that have to do with a faulty vehicle and my compensation to which he replies Because I didn't add roadside assistance to my package and they sent out a tow truck anyway it would serve as my compensation because normally they would have charged me the Tow Trucks fees...

Absolute bewilderment and instant anger is all I could feel at that moment, The fact I was given a straight up lie dead to my face and with a smile literally has completely turned me off from ever renting with National ever again... TRUST ME. SAVE YOURSELF THE HEADACHE AND WALK AWAY. GO ANYWHERE BUT HERE!!

National Car Rental response

Michael, your feedback is important in maintaining and improving service and satisfaction for all our valued customers. We're certainly sorry to hear of your disappointment and would be happy to speak with you further. Please email us at care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, reservation or rental agreement number, and any additional details. Thank you. -Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I rented a car in Kalamazoo, MI on July 25, 2020 that was returned at the Minneapolis airport the next day (July 26, 2020). The person who checked it in stated that there were no problems with the car. Shortly after this, I began receiving emails and mail stating that the car had been damaged. I called National and the person I spoke to said there was no record of the car being damaged. He gave me a number to call and over the following two days I spent more than two hours on hold without ever being able to speak to a human.

The emails and mail continue. The one I received yesterday told me I now owe $1800. A short internet search quickly proved that this is a common scam perpetrated by this company, including being told when you call to ask what the damage was, that they have no record of any damage, AND then are given a number where no one ever answers the phone when you try to call. Followed by an email demanding payments. Another common trend is that the damage was to the ROOF of the car, which is what the most recent scam email states happened to the car I rented. I have been a loyal car renter for National for a number of years, but no more. I have sent two messages to National Car Rental. I have contacted the company for the credit card I used to rent the car, to alert them to this scam. My next step will be to file a claim with my state's attorney general's office.

National Car Rental response

Maryanne, thank you for contacting the Social Team. All damage claims are handled by our Damage Recovery Unit. Please contact that team directly at 1-866-300-3239 or by email at CustomerClaimConcern@ehi.com. Thank you! – Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

This is the best rental company around especially if you are an Emerald Club member. You get to choose your vehicle from a very extensive fleet. I rent about 20 times a year, all over the USA, and been doing it for the last 22 years, Not one complaint.

National Car Rental response

Oscar, we're happy to hear that you're enjoying just a few of the many benefits our Emerald Club has to offer! Thanks for choosing National! We look forward to seeing you again soon! – Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

Been a National customer since 90s. Best thing I like about National is the Emerald Isle Service which is available to its Emerald Card holders (getting membership is an easy process too) at almost all of the major airports in country. Member has the option/choice to pick any car from a Convertible to a SUV for the same price (which is fairly less than most of the other rental companies I had used in past) which is a nice feature to have at one's choice while picking a rental vehicle at the airport.

National Car Rental response

ray, thank you for sharing your experiences! We're happy that you've chosen to rent with us and it’s great to hear that you are enjoying just a few of the many perks that the Emerald club has to offer. We'll see you soon! – Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

I reserved a car at National on Phone at Tyler, Airport. When I went to pick car at the scheduled time, they said car was not available and the receptionist lady communicated with Hertz and referred to go to Hertz which said car available at higher rate for same size than rate reserved on phone. The disappointing part is I called back at reservation phone number who said car was available at Tyler, Airport location where we were booked. So I felt the receptionist lady was simply doing business to refer to different company and get the commission. I had to cancel my 4 days trip, important meetings, and a potential job position. They ruined my life. Incident: August 13, 2020. Really disappointed at the way they were handling their customer. The Receptionist lady was unwilling to hear anything and said that cars get taken quickly while the recalling the reservation still showed the cars availability.

National Car Rental response

Sarju, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

We were happy with the convenience and the friendliness of the National worker when we picked up the car at Denver Int’l, but when we dropped it off we were met with two rude and seemingly sexist men. Within 30 seconds of getting out of the car, my 20yr old daughter and I (mid 40’s female) were informed that we had put a dent/scrape on the car. I explained to the man that we had no incidents with the car whatsoever, and that there must be some record that the dent existed before we rented it. He called over his manager and both men were disrespectful, rushed, and condescending in their tone and attitude towards us. I have traveled with my husband (a mid 40’s businessman) many times and I get the unfortunate impression that if he had been with us, we wouldn’t have been accused of denting the car and we would’ve been treated more respectfully.

Incidentally, my husband says he has never even had his car inspected at the National drop off. When I inquired about any records that might show that the dent was already there, the manager said that all of that paperwork was inside and he would have to look at it. The obvious question is - why would he accuse a woman of denting the car if there might be evidence that the dent was already there? That is extremely poor customer service. I will never use National Car Rental again and will discourage my female friends from using their service. In the end, we were not charged for the dent in the car. Instead of looking through the car’s history to see if the dent was already there, the manager decided to save face and say that the dent was not large enough to charge us for it. He never apologized and never acknowledged that we were telling the truth.

Cindy,
We’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@NationalCar.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us.
Regards,

Carol H.

Original review: July 24, 2020

After having been a customer for over 3 years, and probably logging close to around 200-300 days worth of rentals, my experience has been very good. There has occasionally been an employee or two that was having a bad day and caused my experience to suffer. That said, having rented from airport locations all around the globe, if my memory serves me correctly, the majority of individuals I encountered were friendly and very helpful. As for the cars and the rental process goes, I have a good understanding of the costs associated with renting a car. The fees they charge are reasonable and well within line of their competitors. I love their executive and executive elite aisles and generally the selection options are fairly decent. On peak rental times, this can always vary, but if the case is the isles don't have what I'm looking for, their employees have mostly been reasonable in finding other options for me.

Additionally, when I was in Germany, I had a minor accident with another individual. Not knowing German, the employee who worked at the counter of the National that I rented from, helped me communicate with the individual who hit me over the phone. This was excellent customer service and helped relieve much of the stress I was under. To me National is a great rental agency and they will certainly have my business for years to come.

National Car Rental response

Patrick, thank you for your great review! We're glad to hear that our teams have been able to provide you with consistently positive experiences and that you are enjoying some of the benefits of our Emerald Club. Take care and we look forward to seeing you again soon! - Carol

National Car Rental Company Information