3.9/5 (530 ratings)

About National Car Rental

National Car Rental offers SUVs, cars, vans and trucks at more than 1,500 locations worldwide. Drivers can purchase roadside protection and supplemental liability protection for an extra cost. The Emerald Club program lets drivers enjoy an upgraded vehicle selection, free rental days, priority service and easy check-in and checkout.

National Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?

Original review: June 28, 2022

We rented a mini van at their Jasper Alberta location in June. When we returned the car we let their staff know there was a problem with the front tire so their staff gave us a discount as a customer gesture. Two and a half weeks later, they charged our credit card for $427 parking fee. We called 6 times and asked about this fee. The call centre kept saying someone would call us but no one called us. We called the Jasper office. The woman said it must be a speeding ticket and when we told her the receipt says it is a parking fee then she said it maybe a parking violation. We asked her and the people in the call centre to give us the evidence and they said they could not tell on the system. We did not have any parking violation during the 3 days rental so I don't know where this charge came from. They are thieves. Someone need to return this money to us. Service was bad and no one took ownership to look into this.

National Car Rental response

Winnie, thank you for your review. I see my colleague has previously responded to your post on Facebook and we have escalated your concern to upper management. Someone should be in contact with you soon. Please feel free to email us at care@nationalcar.com with any questions. Thank you! - Carol H.

Resolution response: May 5, 2022

A receipt was finally sent after one week, 4 phone calls, and 3 reviews online!

Original review: May 4, 2022

As an Executive Elite customer you would think that returning a car would be a simple matter. A week AFTER the car was returned, it shows my rental is overdue and the branch hasn't/ won't close it out so that a receipt can be obtained. Four (4) phone calls have been made and I am told each day it has been escalated to the branch. I have never had anything happen like this in the past four years. Customer NO-service says they cant contact the branch in Orlando (MCO). After raising a stink, they magically can call the branch but only get voicemail. Their solution was to drive to a local branch (59 miles away) and they could possibly get it resolved. At this point, there is nothing else they say they can do. Unbelievable!!!

National Car Rental response

William, I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: April 7, 2022

She made my check in so seamless and I would definitely recommend this facility over and over again. Ontario has the best customer service and the best car selection, have to say though Bianca made it all worth it in the end.

National Car Rental response

Grace, thank you very much for the wonderful review! We're thrilled to hear Bianca made this a great experience for you! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Original review: March 20, 2022

I brought National into my company due to Nationals rates and flexible terms. Now it's time for us to look for other options. They have begun charging, and change the corporate daily rates on existing contracts. When I picked up a car at one location and dropped off at another, even if the two air airports are just 69 miles apart. (GSP to CLT) they changed my rate. My weekly charge went from $222+ to over $470 for the rental, when since November of last year there has been no charge. It was certainly a shock to see my new bill.

Yesterday I rented at Nashville and was going to drop off at CLT. This time the upcharge was going to be an additional $19 per day and a drop off fee of $222. After renting the car I thought I would call and confirm there would not be an additional charge. They informed me the drop off charge would be $222 plus a change to my daily rate. So the net result for National was that my three week rental went to a two day rental and revenue of $666+ went to $68. Instead I booked a flight for $140 and a rented car from Avis.

Oh yes and the person on the escalation desk kept purposely trying to talk over me...that was never going to happen! Welcome to the new P&G. We all remember when P&G turned their backs on their customers, would not even change a ti x hi on a pallet for example, for the largest supermarket chain in Canada. Went from one of the most profitable corporations in the world to losing over $1 billion per year and gave rise to generic and no name products. Maybe it's time for a company to begin that just deals with corporate accounts in the auto rental industry.

National Car Rental response

V, any change to your open rental ticket may mean that additional charges are incurred. I recommend that you speak with your business accounts representative who will be able to address any recent changes to your account. If you'd like to speak with us directly about this, please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, reservation or rental agreement number, and the complete details. Thank you for your comments. - Carol H.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

BEWARE! STAY AWAY! I wish I could give zero stars. This was the worst experience I have ever had renting a car. Go anywhere else. National Oakland and corporate do not care about their customers at all. When we got in there was one car left. It was a minivan. We took it and started our hour drive to where we were staying. The car had a ton of electrical issues so we called National who said they were bringing us a new car. The tow truck driver showed up, took our car and said he would be back in an hour with our car. 2 hours later the tow company called and told us that there were no cars left and the manager would be calling me. NO ONE EVER CALLED ME.

We were Now stranded with lots of pay ahead reservations for our 10th anniversary trip. I called multiple times and kept either being transferred to their 3rd party roadside assistance or told I would get a call back. Then their 3rd party sent an Uber to drive us to another airport an hour away. They told me they called and a car was waiting for us. Well they had no cars when we got there and were now stranded at the airport. We asked to talk to a manager and were told he was on vacation. The guy from Budget saw how upset we were and rented us his last car. 48 hours later and still no call from National. Thanks for making our 10 Anniversary trip do stressful, costing us uber rides, and almost completely ruining our trip.

National Car Rental response

Lindsay, it's never our intention to disappoint a valued customer. I see my colleague has previously responded to your Facebook PM. Please continue to work with our team on Facebook for follow up. Kind regards. - Carol H.

Resolution response: Feb. 18, 2022

I am extremely grateful with Kaci ** for taking the time to discuss this matter with me. I am changing my rating due to the fact that prior to this incident, everyone has always been extremely nice and helpful.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

I don't usually complain, however, after the way I was treated by one of the employees at National Car Rental, when attempting to pick up my rental vehicle tonight, I felt the need to submit a complaint. I would hate for anyone else to go through the humiliation and mistreatment that I received tonight. This complaint may go back to the staff members at the Hobby Airport location and I am okay with that. I have been coming to rent vehicles from this location on a weekly basis for the past few months and I have always been treated fairly by all employees at this location, but tonight was the exception.

While trying to select the vehicle I would be renting, when walking by the luxury vehicles, a female employee approached me with a negative tone of voice, requesting to see my reservation number, I thought this was strange. I cooperated and gave her my phone that had the email with the reservation, I honestly felt discriminated when she informed me that no rental vehicles were available, before even looking at my reservation. My husband was with me and he informed her that we usually pick whichever car is available in the lot and have never experienced an issue before. She walked away and then came back, this time to asking to see my driver’s license, by then I was feeling strange about the situation; again, I have been coming to this location for months, every week and this has never happened before, not only was I questioned in a way that made me feel as if I was doing something wrong, but was approached in a negative way.

She left with my driver’s license and went to the office (I never go inside the office, I was always told by employees that I don't need to go inside the office, I just have to choose the rental vehicle and check out at the exit area). We walked in the office and asked if there was an issue, she replied that she had too many reservations and wanted to make sure she had a rental for me (The lot was full of vehicles, it always is on a Sundays). My husband then asked, if she did not have a vehicle for us? She replied that she did, but she needed to know what rental car we wanted. My husband replied, "My wife was looking to see which car was best fit, when you approached us, she has a business trip where other of her coworkers will be traveling with her, so it’s important that she finds a spacious, comfortable vehicle that will also be fuel efficient."

She asked again, "Okay, what car do you want, because I have all the luxury vehicles rented and I need to check if we have one available for you." My husband responded that the small volvo SUV, she left to "check" if the car was available and while she was gone, we asked the other two young ladies inside the office, what was the problem? They both made a face as if they were confused to why the lady was acting that way towards us, but did not make any comments (By the way, these two young ladies are always very nice and helpful). The lady came back and told us we could take the small SUV.

This was such a horrible experience, even though I did nothing wrong, I felt embarrassed about the whole situation. At the end of the day, I would have taken any of the “available” vehicles, it did not have to be a luxury vehicle, it is just the way that I was treated that I have a problem with. I never complain, but I need to stop letting people mistreat me based on my looks or ethnicity, yes, we did not look our best, it’s Sunday night and it’s cold, I am wearing comfy clothes to pick up a rental vehicle.

I understand that things happen, that maybe she did have the majority of the vehicles reserved. What I don’t understand, is why she approached me the way she did? Seemed personal, as if us looking at the vehicles was what really bothered her. Whatever the reason was, there is always a nice way to ask your customers for information. She could have approached me with a “good evening, is there anything I can help you with? By the way, just so you know, we are running low on vehicle availability, so just to make sure we are able to accommodate your reservation, can you tell me what kind of vehicle are you interested in?” I would have totally understood and not felt attacked. I am picking up my rental on a Sunday night at 10:30 p.m. and I am seeing the lot FULL (40+ vehicles) and I am being told that they don’t have availability? something is not right.

I am a member of the Emerald Club EXECUTIVE ELITE which states that you are always guaranteed a vehicle up to full-size and above, it also states that you receive free upgrades when reserving a midsize rate. Executive Area Access - Choose any car (Full-size and above) in the Executive Area and only pay the midsize rate. If this information is wrong, maybe the website needs to be corrected on the information that is given to their customers to avoid false advertising and issues like the one I encountered tonight. If the website is correct, then maybe this employee needs to learn her company policies and take a discrimination prevention training.

National Car Rental response

Yoana, I assure you it's never our intention to disappoint a valued customer. We would like to have the opportunity to look into this with you. Please email Care@Nationalcar.com include the exact rental location, your full name, email address, contact telephone number,Emerald Club ID, your rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. Kind regards. - Carol H.

Resolution response: Jan. 12, 2022

National Car Rental resolved the issue & I got all of my items back! I was so worried about the sentimentality of the items that I missed that on entire other bag that was left in the car! I hadn't been the one to pack the items, and I was sure that everything was in one bag & not two! I was the one in error, and am ecstatic that National followed through. I am truly grateful!!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I went through the proper channels to report a luggage bag left in the trunk of a car. The Salt Lake City Airport National Car Rental lost & found has no direct phone number. I had to stop in 4 times to finally acquire the bag that I knew was there. While I initially checked the bag once I picked it up, I briefly opened it up and it looked like everything was in place and thanked them profusely. Even though it was difficult to get the bag back, I was happy to see that it appeared intact. However, when I went to unpack the bag at home, I immediately noticed that several items had been removed. These were sentimental Christmas presents that a National employee intentionally stole from the bag. I am heart-broken & very disappointed & unless this is somehow resolved, will never use National Car Rental again.

National Car Rental response

Michael, we are thrilled to hear that our team was able to locate your items and return them to you promptly. Please don't hesitate to reach to us anytime if we can be of assistance. Kind Regards. - Carol H.

Resolution response: Jan. 5, 2022

Originally charged me a $900 drop fee for returning my car at a different location due to a COVID emergency. After posting on Consumer Affairs and several travel sites, they reduced drop fee to $350. Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

Our family rented a minivan in Florida. While there, my son tested positive for COVID. We left immediately to drive to Texas. JetBlue reimbursed our flight. National charged us a $900 “drop fee” to return the car to a different location. There was no allowance for a medical emergency, and seems this policy would encourage people to fly while infected, spreading COVID. We will take all future business elsewhere.

National Car Rental response

Renee, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details. We look forward to hearing from you soon. – Carol H.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

As an executive member who rents just about every week, the Atlanta Airport location was a disappointment last week when my car had a flat and roadside assistance failed to assure I made it to a safe location, fail to check on my safety, and charged me for the the rental after towing the vehicle. I had to hitchhike 80 miles back to Atlanta and pay a stranger for the ride. To top it off, no spare tire in the vehicle.

National Car Rental response

Carol, I apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

Arrived in Izmir with a reservation for a manual mini van, listed as sprinter. Man at the counter offered upgrade to an automatic mini van. Accepted the offer. We had to cross the street to gain access to the area where the car was. The car wasn’t clean and the right back door had a problem and the guy advised it was the only mini van and he would credit us on the return. Brought the car back and asked for the refund, he started yelling and threatening to call the cops, as we did not speak the language, we decided to leave and file a dispute. Send an email to National, never heard back. Called them and I was told to send a feedback on their website. No answer. Never again.

National Car Rental response

Julio, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Nationalcar.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. - Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

Updated on 11/10/2021: So someone from National contacted me after I posted my initial review and they were no help. All they did was check that national did not charge my card for anything other than my car rental. I know for a fact the person behind the desk at national car rental at the Mexico City airport took my card and walked in the back for 2 min then came back with the card. I'm 100% sure he took a picture of my card so that he could later make purchases. I want to advise people to be very careful and aware of where your card is at all times so that this does not happen to you. I know for a fact that this credit card I used to rent the vehicle was only used there, the rest of my trip I used cash to pay for things. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH NATIONAL CAR RENTAL. THEY WILL JUST CLAIM THAT IT WAS NOT THE COMPANY WHO MADE THE PURCHASES.

Original Review: The credit card I used to rent a Kia Sedona minivan and pre pay for the gas to be refilled on my return was only used at National Car Rental at the Mexico City airport. The rest of the trip I paid cash for everything. So I know they were the only company that had my credit card info. To find out the same day I returned the car they charged my card to purchase something online at Mac store for $297.67 which went through and tried to charge something for over $1,000 the next day which was blocked but the $297.67 went through so now I'm having to fight it with my credit card so I can get that money back. I never thought National car rental would ever allow something like this to happen. I'm very disappointed and won't ever rent a car with them again. I want a full refund for the car rental.

National Car Rental response

Cristian, we are happy to review this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

SIX phone calls in the last week, that's how I'll begin this review. I started using National for business travel, and was relatively pleased with my initial experience. The line at the counter was practically non-existent in the Car Rental terminal of PHX while the line for the AVIS counter was a mile long...but now I understand why. The car was also fantastic, but the negative experiences all come in with trying to set up a rewards account and apply my reservations to it.

I was originally unable to create a rewards account in the rental terminal of PHX because, despite adding all my payment information, the both the app and the website continually refused it. Problem is, they never told me it was refused or why -- nothing happened and I couldn't proceed. So I continue on with my rental as-is, thinking I'd be able to add a rewards account to it as I returned the car or just after. The car return was easy but did not give me the opportunity to speak with anyone regarding my rewards account, so I tried to call Customer Service, which is absolutely useless even if you are a rewards member or business traveler. This is where I have made SIX phone calls in the last week, been told something different every time, and never had anything happen afterward.

First contact said they didn't know what was going on but there were no recorded issues, try again later. I asked for a case number or something to reference next time I called, but apparently nothing existed or it was "internal". So fine, I called again a few hours later. Second contact tried to say the same thing as the first, but I had already tried again later -- I needed actual information. He hung up on me, even though I was perfectly pleasant throughout the interaction.

The next morning was contact #3, and they said there WAS work being done with the website, so try again later (remember, I had been trying for about a week on my own to simply open an account). In the end, I had to try opening a rewards account at AVIS simply to have it tell me the card was the problem. Using another card with National (Why???) worked, at which point I was able to create an account, add the card I'd been trying to use, and delete the personal card. What a hassle.

Fast forward a few days, it's now Friday (almost a week since I returned the last rental). Now that I've finally created an account I would like to take the reservation that I had just completed less than a week ago and have it applied to my National Emerald Club account. It's the least they could do for all the hassle right? No, I call and he has to "submit a request to see if it will be approved", even though the only reason I couldn't apply this initially was because of THEIR app. I also needed to add an existing, UPCOMING reservation to my account, which he claims he did, but when I didn't see it populate by Monday I called back. This person told me I needed to contact the travel agent that set up the reservation for me. What...the actual...? Why did the person on Friday tell me it was added then?

All of this experience out of one completed rental, and a second upcoming which I may just decide to switch vendors for. The cars at National are great, the wait for at least the one airport was fantastically non-existent, but don't expect them to care once they have your money.

National Car Rental response

Tim, we're disappointed to hear this and are happy to take a look at this for you. At your convenience, please email Care@Nationalcar.com with the details above, your full name, email address, telephone number, Emerald Club id, and any rental agreement numbers so we can look into this promptly. - Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

I used them a number of times in the past 2 years. The ONLY rental company I will ever deal with who has always had awesome price, selection, and service. The on-site employees and those at the toll-free customer service are the best!

National Car Rental response

Harry, your recommendation means so much to us and we're so happy to have earned it. Our teams strive to deliver an excellent experience, and we're glad you've found this to be the case If you have further needs or questions, please reach out!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

1. Few years ago, rented a Tiguan in Calgary AB Canada. Breakdown in Las Vegas Nevada. Staff did not know to manually enter info, because car was rented out of USA. Lost $500.00 prescription glasses, because staff made us change vehicles twice. Staff was more interested in returns, than helping us! Then supervisor finally showed up, and we were given a van to continue on holidays.

2. Today, wanted to use my Emerald Card free rental points. Was informed by "Mary" could only rent a Intermediate, through economy cars only. I informed Mary, I have always rented standard SUVs, or larger, because I am a big guy, and I cannot fit in small vehicles. I informed Mary, I am willing to pay the extra $10.00 (Approximately, plus taxes etc.). Mary said can't be done. I have requested someone from National Head Office, contact me tomorrow. Mary stated someone will contact me tomorrow. Let's see if National can accommodate me with this minor issue.

Pete

National Car Rental response

Pete, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

This company double charged the full cost of my 4 day rental. The customer service I've received has been nothing short of horrible and nonexistent. The result was that I couldn't check into my hotel out of state. They're still holding my money after promising it would be resolved yesterday within 25 minutes. Don't book with these people!

National Car Rental response

Reese, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations we would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Nationalcar.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Resolution response: Aug. 29, 2021

I was able to resolved this issue.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

If I could give 0 starts, I would. The vehicle provided to me was smaller than the size promised on the website. Also, the car had an awful odor that made the trip extremely unpleasant. However, the biggest disappointment were when roaches started appearing from everywhere as the car had a roach infestation. I have visual proof of the issues mentioned above. After letting customer service from the branch known my concerns, the representative informed me that the branch manager would contact me. However, I was never approached by anyone. As a result, I find myself quite dissatisfied with your customer service.

National Car Rental response

Yani, thank you for your review. We are committed to maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness today and every day. If those standards were not met we’d like to speak with you to learn more. At your convenience, please email Care@Nationalcar.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. - Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

My husband rented a standard full-size car for 7 days in Seattle. The order confirmation stated that the price would be $350, however, the National Car Rental charged us $850. We called their customer service 4 times, and they kept saying someone would call us back. We waited for 9 days, and received nothing. I also sent the email to care@nationalcar.com, and a person called Pegan said the National Car Rental secretly may change our contract without noticing us. Pegan refused to provide any further help. How can I trust National Car Rental in the future??? Is contract lawful in this company??? I am so regretful that we chose this company, and I feel so sad that I have trusted this company for years.

National Car Rental response

Jiaqi, thank you for sharing this with us. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Resolution response: Aug. 6, 2021

I received a response from the company that they would provide the appropriate refund.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I have rented from National at Orlando International Airport several times this past year. I have not had an issue until this past week. I booked my reservation with a confirmed total of $290.65. As instructed, I went to the Executive area and selected my vehicle. I checked out as usual and proceeded to my hotel. I was shocked when I checked the receipt to see that I had been charged $866.40—nearly triple the amount I had agreed to! I contacted customer service immediately and they responded a day later, asking for my original confirmation, which I promptly sent. I waited another day for a response, at which point I was told my case was being sent to the Orlando office and that I would be contacted "as soon as they can get the billing fixed." I waited for another SIX days with no word. I again contacted the main customer service group to note that I had not heard from the Orlando office.

Later that day I finally received an email from Bryan **, Tri-Brand Station Manager, who said that the code I used to book my rental was no longer valid, but "in the spirit of making it right" he had refunded me $126. Somehow the rate no longer working was my fault, and they were entitled to triple my cost when I drove off the lot??? Furthermore, I was able to use the same code for a subsequent reservation in October. I immediately replied that I was entitled to a refund of $575.75, once again attaching my original confirmation for $290.65. Bryan did not respond for over two days. I sent emails to both National customer service and Bryan letting them know their response was unacceptable and that I would be charging back the amount, filing complaints, and contacting legal services, to which I have not received a response.

The real kicker is that when I returned the car, I accidentally left my Gucci sunglasses on the front seat. I returned to the lot 10 minutes later and watched the car I had just returned drive away. I went to the kiosk and told them I needed my sunglasses back. After about 10 minutes the rep told me that the car had already been cleaned and the glasses were not in there. How unbelievably dishonest. I guess I shouldn't have expected anything more considering how dishonest the entire staff at the Orlando office appear to be.

National Car Rental response

Emily, thank you for sharing this concern with us and we certainly understand your sentiments. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I booked a seven passenger SUV months in advance for vacation from National this past year. I'm due to pick the car up the day before my family was going on vacation and I had work at noon. Pick up was 10am. I got there just before 10am, and initially waited a half hour to forty-five minutes In Line. Meanwhile over hearing all the complaining frustrated people in front of me, and the kid at the desk telling everyone "there's nothing he can do about it", I wasn't paying too much attention...probably should have been.

It's my turn and he proceeds to take my driver's license and credit card, takes fifteen more minutes at least getting everything into the computer then proceeded to tell me he doesn't have anything for me of what I rented. So I'm standing there dumbfounded at the lack of care in this kid and the fact that it's always too good to be true with anything it seems anymore. He tells me he has a minivan and that's it. So I ask to see it first. Meanwhile I'm scouring the lot for something else. ANYTHING ELSE that would work for vacation. I see a Ford Explorer and figure that would work just as well for what we needed.

I come back in and ask the guy if I could just take the explorer instead out there, I don't necessarily need seating for 7, five would be ok. And guess what that rude kid at the counter said? "No, I can't. Sorry there's nothing I can do". "What do you mean no? Why not?" He never gave me an explanation, nothing. Didn't want to talk to me, didn't want to help me. He was rude and I was talking to a wall. I honestly think from his attitude that he was annoyed that I didn't want the van. He was annoyed that I was a woman in my thirties that didn't want a van and was upset about it and he didn't want to deal with it or fix the situation... No I don't want a van, that's not what I booked. Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean I drive minivans and should be happy with it. Jerk.

So I reluctantly took the van. However I called National car company corporate and spoke with a supervisor to try and confirm or deny the line of crap he gave me about why there was nothing else sitting on the lot I could have. (Cars sitting out there that I actually booked that he wouldn't give me)... He told me when they didn't have a car for me, that the reason was because all, ALL OF THE seven passenger SUVs were recalled. All makes and models were recalled.... What the heck.. All makes and models? At the same exact time? All different years too? It made no sense.

So the lady I talked to from national was very nice on the phone. I explained the issue and my question and what I had been told. She told me (I KID YOU NOT) that there was a recall on the MINIVANS in the area that I picked the car up from. So..long story short. They not only had terrible customer service. They lied and then also gave me a recalled vehicle to drive on vacation with my family which I fought in the first place not to have. No one has reached out to me yet, I'v emailed, called, left my number with that woman I spoke with, nothing. So I'm going to keep writing reviews so everyone knows how awful the service was and hopefully will rent with another agency. I have rented many many cars from many different places and nothing compares to this in how terrible it was.

National Car Rental response

Amanda, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations we would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Nationalcar.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: July 14, 2021

National makes it very easy to pick up and drop off a car. That creates a problem if you need your Rental Agreement after the fact. They only provide the receipt on their website. I'm trying to file a damage claim via my credit card (charged for damages I didn't create, but that's another story) and I can't obtain the required documents. Buyer beware, they want you in and out quickly for their own benefit.

National Car Rental response

Martine, thank you for your review. All damage claims are handled by our Damage Recovery Unit. Please contact that team directly at 1-866-300-3239 or by email at CustomerClaimConcern@ehi.com. Thank you! – Carol H.

Original review: July 13, 2021

The SUV we rented did not have tags, so it was unavailable. They had no vehicles to replace it. We called several days in advance to be sure that we had a vehicle available for our trip. My wife is Emerald Elite and was assured when she called that her VIP rental would be available. They were unable to find a replacement. I would never rent from this location if my wife wasn't required to rent here for her company rental. The other rental companies at the airport had plenty of inventory.

National Car Rental response

Paul, we're sorry to hear of your disappointment. If we can help you out, please email Care@Nationalcar.com with your full name, contact telephone number, email address, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Resolution response: July 7, 2021

National did not charge us for the entire trip but the way their manager and regional managers were talking was very rude. I think they don't consider customer satisfaction as a part of their process. The way their regional manager was talking was very rude. But upgrading the rating as they did not charge for the worst service they had given.

Original review: July 4, 2021

Don't ever book a rental with National!!! Their roadside assistance is a scam. We literally were trapped on the road for whole night because of flat from where we had to catch a bus to Aspen CO. They had rental cars nearby but they didn't care for us. We booked with other rental company. They hanged on us for 5-6 times. No help at all from National. Will never recommend to anyone and will never book with them.

National Car Rental response

Tushar, thank you for sharing this with us. I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: June 25, 2021

This incompetent "car rental service" - if you dare disgrace the industry by calling it such - didn't have my reserved vehicle. Employee was belligerent and called me a "chink". I'm sure some people would find that hilarious but personally I didn't. I'm not even Chinese, I'm Korean.

National Car Rental response

Hummus, we take this seriously and would like to discuss your experience further. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Resolution response: June 9, 2021

After several months of calling, this issue was resolved. National Car credited me back for the billing mistake, it is a shame that it took so long. I will update my rating on the fact that it was resolved and this is the only issue I have had with them and I will try using them again. Lesson learned, do not drop off car without someone inspecting it before you leave.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I have always used National for car rentals but not impressed with recent rental. Picked up car at Atlanta airport for business and returned the next day. No one was there to check in the car so I left to catch my flight. Upon receiving my bill, I was charged $250 which when I called, I was told it was from smoking in the car and having it cleaned. I DO NOT SMOKE and I did not even drink anything in the car. Numerous calls and being told someone would contact me and nothing. Seems National does not appreciate my business and as much as I travel, I Do Not have to use them.

National Car Rental response

Tim, thank you for sharing this concern with us. I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: May 15, 2021

It's so easy to get your car, especially at the airport. You can go right to your car after picking the one you want. They are well cleaned and well maintained. The car return process is easy and efficient. The people are very nice too.

National Car Rental response

Ken, we're happy that you've chosen to rent with us and it’s great to hear that you are enjoying just a few of the many perks that the Emerald club has to offer. We'll see you soon! – Carol H.

Original review: March 1, 2021

Me or my company will never rent from National again. We rented a car in Great Falls, I jumped in it and left without checking for damage myself before I left. Big mistake! I had the car for one day and absolutely hit nothing. After I returned it they called and said it had a cracked fog light. No big deal right? I told them I hadn't hit anything but didn't have proof so I agreed to pay for a fog light. Later I got a bill for $1600!! They had replaced a fog light, a tail light, a new tire and a new wheel. I told them that was ridiculous but they wouldn't negotiate at all. None of this damage was from us. Our company does $20,000 a year in rentals and I will never rent from National again if I live to be 102.

National Car Rental response

John, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations I would like to know more about your experience so I can help. Please email Care@Nationalcar.com and include the rental location, rental agreement or reservation numbers and your contact information. Thank you. - CH

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Been using National for years and it's great unless the car doesn't work. Urgently, the company they assign roadside assistance to is terrible. I contacted them yesterday at 1:00 because a car broke down. They sent a tow to pick it up and drove me to a branch that was closed, then had me and the truck go to another branch with no cars. I had to get myself back and spent hours being passed around to different people and being placed on hold. I finally got it set up to have a car delivered the next morning but then had people try to change that so had to spend more hours on the phone to get it squared away. Next time I'll know to use Hertz or someone who can actually replace a broken car in less than 30 hours.

National Car Rental response

Thank you for your review, James. I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations if you can provide a few more details, I would be happy to look into this further for you. Please email Care@Nationalcar.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I had a horrific, abusive experience at National Car Rental in Victoria, BC with manager Rummy **. I booked a car rental on Expedia and, upon arrival, he stated matter of factly they did not have any vehicle for me and offered no apology. I expressed upset that they allowed me to reserve a car when there was not one available. He said I could take a larger car (a mini SUV) that had a crack in the windshield. Being without options to get to my doctor's appointment in Duncan, I said okay, and asked if I could please have a courtesy discount for the extra cost of gas, for the larger car that I did not want (I prefer to drive a smaller car), and because they had given a reservation and not kept their agreement. He said no, and that $30 a day is not much money for a car rental.

I was very frustrated and told him that I would be leaving a negative review because of my experience. He got upset and said that I was threatening him. I said that I was not threatening him, but rather I was letting him know that this is extremely poor customer service and is unacceptable. He told the employee to cancel my reservation, told me that he would no longer rent a car to me, and then ordered the employee to, "Go back outside and keep cleaning!" I said that I would now be making a formal complaint. He stated it didn't matter because he's the manager.

I said I would go to the district level and he made a comment that it wouldn't matter and then told me to get out of the store. I demanded his business card. He gave it to me and ordered me to leave and said, "Maybe if you were nicer, I would have given you a discount," and then said something else. I turned around and asked him what he said and he said, "Never mind," and then yelled at me to, "Get off of this property!" multiple times. I have never been so traumatized or treated so horrifically at a business in all of my life. Not only should he have, at the very least, sincerely apologized for not having a car for me, if he would not give me a discount as a good will gesture, he should have kept himself in control.

I made a complaint at National's corporate office, and will follow up until I know this has been investigated and handled. I also urge the company to review this location and manager's complaint record and employee turnover, because the abusive way he treated me and his employee was terrible and absolutely unacceptable. I ended up going next door to Budget and was treated well and got a vehicle for a lower price without being subjected to abuse.

National Car Rental response

Carly, your feedback is important in maintaining and improving service and satisfaction for all our valued customers. We would like to discuss your experience with us in more detail. Please email us at care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, reservation or rental agreement number, and any additional details. Thank you. -Carol H.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I’ve been renting from National for a few years. Last year decided to sign up for the Emerald Club. So much more convenient. Less hassle to use the Emerald Isle. I don’t have to go through the counter which is always such a hassle. They always want to add to you rental especially insurance that I know for a fact my insurance covers rentals. You go pick your car and leave that simple. Price is very reasonable. I’ve only had experience in Detroit and Florida locations but never a bad one yet.

National Car Rental response

Deb, we're thrilled that you've chosen to rent with us and are happy t to hear that you're enjoying just a few of the many perks that the Emerald club has to offer. We'll see you soon! – Carol

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

We planned a cross country vacation months ahead with reservations made. We arrived at Logan International to retrieve the Suburban or similar sized vehicle that was reserved. We are told it’s not available and maybe we don’t need such a a large vehicle. 6 people and six large pieces of luggage beg to differ. After an hour of being talked down to by desk staff that a mini van would work for our situation we were finally given a vehicle matching our reservation even though they stated they did not have any. We travel hours away to where we are staying and the next morning the car won’t start. Contact National and they offer roadside assistance. The next day vehicle won’t start again. And so on and so on. Sounds like a bad battery, that was probably bad before we got the vehicle since we never had to start it.

After being blown off by a supervisor to return a call for over six hours we call back and are told to wait for the supervisor to call and a long conversation later we are told there are more important calls to be taken and the most they could offer was to be picked up in a tow truck and towed to Portsmouth 2 hours away. They wouldn’t verify if a vehicle our size would be available and told us to call. So we tried and Portsmouth office is closed. So they were going to tow us 2 hours away to leave us over night in a dead vehicle to wait for a car that wouldn’t get us or our belongings where we needed to be. So we are stranded and still waiting over 8 hours for the supervisor to call us back. No compensation or helpful assistance has been offered. Whatever happened to customer service. Do yourself the favor and choose a non affiliated company since even the employees don’t know how to answer the phone for the correct company.

National Car Rental response

Paul, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations and assure you it's never our intention to inconvenience a valued customer. We would like to look into this further but need some more information. Please email the details of your rental, your contact information, exact rental office, and your reservation or rental agreement number to Care@Nationalcar.com. Thank you –Carol H.

National Car Rental Company Information