2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.7/5 (338 ratings)

About National Car Rental

National Car Rental offers SUVs, cars, vans and trucks at more than 1,500 locations worldwide. Drivers can purchase roadside protection and supplemental liability protection for an extra cost. The Emerald Club program lets drivers enjoy an upgraded vehicle selection, free rental days, priority service and easy check-in and checkout.

National Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Car Rental?

Resolution response: June 9, 2021

After several months of calling, this issue was resolved. National Car credited me back for the billing mistake, it is a shame that it took so long. I will update my rating on the fact that it was resolved and this is the only issue I have had with them and I will try using them again. Lesson learned, do not drop off car without someone inspecting it before you leave.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I have always used National for car rentals but not impressed with recent rental. Picked up car at Atlanta airport for business and returned the next day. No one was there to check in the car so I left to catch my flight. Upon receiving my bill, I was charged $250 which when I called, I was told it was from smoking in the car and having it cleaned. I DO NOT SMOKE and I did not even drink anything in the car. Numerous calls and being told someone would contact me and nothing. Seems National does not appreciate my business and as much as I travel, I Do Not have to use them.

National Car Rental response

Tim, thank you for sharing this concern with us. I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: May 15, 2021

It's so easy to get your car, especially at the airport. You can go right to your car after picking the one you want. They are well cleaned and well maintained. The car return process is easy and efficient. The people are very nice too.

National Car Rental response

Ken, we're happy that you've chosen to rent with us and it’s great to hear that you are enjoying just a few of the many perks that the Emerald club has to offer. We'll see you soon! – Carol H.

Original review: March 1, 2021

Me or my company will never rent from National again. We rented a car in Great Falls, I jumped in it and left without checking for damage myself before I left. Big mistake! I had the car for one day and absolutely hit nothing. After I returned it they called and said it had a cracked fog light. No big deal right? I told them I hadn't hit anything but didn't have proof so I agreed to pay for a fog light. Later I got a bill for $1600!! They had replaced a fog light, a tail light, a new tire and a new wheel. I told them that was ridiculous but they wouldn't negotiate at all. None of this damage was from us. Our company does $20,000 a year in rentals and I will never rent from National again if I live to be 102.

National Car Rental response

John, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations I would like to know more about your experience so I can help. Please email Care@Nationalcar.com and include the rental location, rental agreement or reservation numbers and your contact information. Thank you. - CH

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Been using National for years and it's great unless the car doesn't work. Urgently, the company they assign roadside assistance to is terrible. I contacted them yesterday at 1:00 because a car broke down. They sent a tow to pick it up and drove me to a branch that was closed, then had me and the truck go to another branch with no cars. I had to get myself back and spent hours being passed around to different people and being placed on hold. I finally got it set up to have a car delivered the next morning but then had people try to change that so had to spend more hours on the phone to get it squared away. Next time I'll know to use Hertz or someone who can actually replace a broken car in less than 30 hours.

National Car Rental response

Thank you for your review, James. I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations if you can provide a few more details, I would be happy to look into this further for you. Please email Care@Nationalcar.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I had a horrific, abusive experience at National Car Rental in Victoria, BC with manager Rummy **. I booked a car rental on Expedia and, upon arrival, he stated matter of factly they did not have any vehicle for me and offered no apology. I expressed upset that they allowed me to reserve a car when there was not one available. He said I could take a larger car (a mini SUV) that had a crack in the windshield. Being without options to get to my doctor's appointment in Duncan, I said okay, and asked if I could please have a courtesy discount for the extra cost of gas, for the larger car that I did not want (I prefer to drive a smaller car), and because they had given a reservation and not kept their agreement. He said no, and that $30 a day is not much money for a car rental.

I was very frustrated and told him that I would be leaving a negative review because of my experience. He got upset and said that I was threatening him. I said that I was not threatening him, but rather I was letting him know that this is extremely poor customer service and is unacceptable. He told the employee to cancel my reservation, told me that he would no longer rent a car to me, and then ordered the employee to, "Go back outside and keep cleaning!" I said that I would now be making a formal complaint. He stated it didn't matter because he's the manager.

I said I would go to the district level and he made a comment that it wouldn't matter and then told me to get out of the store. I demanded his business card. He gave it to me and ordered me to leave and said, "Maybe if you were nicer, I would have given you a discount," and then said something else. I turned around and asked him what he said and he said, "Never mind," and then yelled at me to, "Get off of this property!" multiple times. I have never been so traumatized or treated so horrifically at a business in all of my life. Not only should he have, at the very least, sincerely apologized for not having a car for me, if he would not give me a discount as a good will gesture, he should have kept himself in control.

I made a complaint at National's corporate office, and will follow up until I know this has been investigated and handled. I also urge the company to review this location and manager's complaint record and employee turnover, because the abusive way he treated me and his employee was terrible and absolutely unacceptable. I ended up going next door to Budget and was treated well and got a vehicle for a lower price without being subjected to abuse.

National Car Rental response

Carly, your feedback is important in maintaining and improving service and satisfaction for all our valued customers. We would like to discuss your experience with us in more detail. Please email us at care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, reservation or rental agreement number, and any additional details. Thank you. -Carol H.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I’ve been renting from National for a few years. Last year decided to sign up for the Emerald Club. So much more convenient. Less hassle to use the Emerald Isle. I don’t have to go through the counter which is always such a hassle. They always want to add to you rental especially insurance that I know for a fact my insurance covers rentals. You go pick your car and leave that simple. Price is very reasonable. I’ve only had experience in Detroit and Florida locations but never a bad one yet.

National Car Rental response

Deb, we're thrilled that you've chosen to rent with us and are happy t to hear that you're enjoying just a few of the many perks that the Emerald club has to offer. We'll see you soon! – Carol

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

We planned a cross country vacation months ahead with reservations made. We arrived at Logan International to retrieve the Suburban or similar sized vehicle that was reserved. We are told it’s not available and maybe we don’t need such a a large vehicle. 6 people and six large pieces of luggage beg to differ. After an hour of being talked down to by desk staff that a mini van would work for our situation we were finally given a vehicle matching our reservation even though they stated they did not have any. We travel hours away to where we are staying and the next morning the car won’t start. Contact National and they offer roadside assistance. The next day vehicle won’t start again. And so on and so on. Sounds like a bad battery, that was probably bad before we got the vehicle since we never had to start it.

After being blown off by a supervisor to return a call for over six hours we call back and are told to wait for the supervisor to call and a long conversation later we are told there are more important calls to be taken and the most they could offer was to be picked up in a tow truck and towed to Portsmouth 2 hours away. They wouldn’t verify if a vehicle our size would be available and told us to call. So we tried and Portsmouth office is closed. So they were going to tow us 2 hours away to leave us over night in a dead vehicle to wait for a car that wouldn’t get us or our belongings where we needed to be. So we are stranded and still waiting over 8 hours for the supervisor to call us back. No compensation or helpful assistance has been offered. Whatever happened to customer service. Do yourself the favor and choose a non affiliated company since even the employees don’t know how to answer the phone for the correct company.

National Car Rental response

Paul, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations and assure you it's never our intention to inconvenience a valued customer. We would like to look into this further but need some more information. Please email the details of your rental, your contact information, exact rental office, and your reservation or rental agreement number to Care@Nationalcar.com. Thank you –Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I'm here to join the numerous long-time Elite National Customers for over 7 yrs. We rented a car at the SFO airport as I have done thousands of time over the almost decade. We got an email that the car we rented had a Manufacturer's recall by Ford (ford edge) and we needed to bring it back in right away - Mind you we prepaid for gas on this car as well - When we got there the guy inspected the car- gave us our ticket to swap for a new car and we proceed to go and choose another car.

As we were looking for a replacement a manager came running over to us yelling that there was a dent on the top of the car. We were totally confused because we never damaged the car - when we got there there was a small crack on the right grill that looked like normal wear and tear, not an accident or anything like that. The manager was extremely rude as I told him "We didn't do this damage". He didn't care, keep writing up a report - in hindsight I should never signed it (but did write on the report that we did not do this damage in all caps). The manager asked if we wanted a replacement - I said no - I'm done with National - he said “that’s just fine with me.”

Additionally my daughter indicated that we are going to put this on Yelp, Facebook and every other social media outlet we find to warn people that National is just passing on their charges to unsuspecting customers (Long standing ones) - He said “go right ahead” I'm done with them and the manager Brian - you were rude and condescending and I think you, the inspector and National know that you guys are just scamming folks - there are enough folks here to reach out to and start a class-action lawsuit on your scamming practices for unsuspecting customers.

If you are going to charge customers for damage - you should have better outgoing inspection to ensure you are not wrongly accusing the wrong customer for damage they did not do. If you are not good at catching this stuff at the right time, you can't just keep passing the buck on to the next customer - We are going to fight this in the court of public opinion - You have lost my business and I hope you lose a lot more with these practices. COVID may wreck havoc on your entire business but don't take it out on the customers you still have - that's a really dumb business strategy. Consumer affairs - please contact me - I have pictures.

National Car Rental response

Charlotta, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations and assure you it's never our intention to inconvenience you. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Ugh. Returned Cargo Van FULL. Was Checked-In by employee who recorded the fuel gauge FULL + read the odometer. 4 DAYS LATER Manager billed $18 for gas, as it needed to be <>?! Now I need to show my top-up gas receipt?!! What a Gas Money Scam cash grab. Rent anywhere else, or you're leaving yourself wide-open. Steer clear. This location is untrustworthy & terrible!

National Car Rental response

Tamara, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations. This team is happy to take a closer look at your rental however we will need some additional details. Please email Care@Nationalcar.com with your contact telephone number, email address, exact rental office location, and your reservation and rental agreement number. Thank you! – Carol

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

We used National enterprise car rental for our stay in Myrtle beach. The national manager at the airport gave us a really hard time when we got the car. She said we couldn’t use the rental agreement that our boss set up for us through our company even though we called and verified with national days before the vacation. She then tried to set up a new rental aggreement and wanted us to pay $80 extra dollars for insurance when we had already taken care of it everything.

Finally when she made me prove I worked with my boss I paid for the rental with my card and they put it on hold. On the 18th they put that $200 back in my account without saying anything or giving me a notification. So I assumed that was my money and spent it. Today on the 20th they took the $200 back and made my account go into the negatives. I called hysterical and crying they said there’s nothing they can do. Poor customer service like I’ve never experienced before. The manager was rude and the women I called for this matter was completely unhelpful. National Enterprise do better.

National Car Rental response

Samantha, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Nationalcar.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. - Carol H.

National Car Rental Company Information