2.80/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Holiday Inn

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 2, 2017

195 Holiday Inn Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

After 30 years as a loyal Holiday Inn platinum member I was invited to a "free" stay at one of their premier resort locations, in turn for which I would attend a two hour timeshare presentation. My wife and I drove 10 hours to the Gatlinburg, TN location. Surprisingly the accommodations were not at the resort location, nor even at the regular Holiday Inn, instead we were booked for the Greystone Lodge. This "lodge" was built around 1921 and probably still awaits its first upgrade. The room was two feet from the parking lot, dirty and with an incredible foul odor - an odor that was prevalent in the hallways as well. When this description was mentioned at the timeshare meeting it was discovered that no one from Holiday Inn had ever been there - upsetting! No excuse was given and no offer of compensation was forthcoming - needless to say we do not have a timeshare!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

The Holiday Inn in Santa Monica, California were just finishing up their re-model of the hotel and things were not quite put away. IE: ladders in hallways, paint tucked neatly in corners etc. Our room still smelled of paint and mold. But the view was okay and access to shopping wasn't bad. The in room coffee sucked and the continental breakfast was just inedible doughnuts and more sucky coffee. (We now bring our own coffee maker and coffee when we travel. That way we are never disappointed.) Bathroom could have been a bit more planned out, towels were on the wall on the far side away from the shower, could not stop up the tub for a bath and world's thinnest toilet paper known to exist. Not bad, but could have been better.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Don't sign for any tour with this company. They never allowed me to cancel the package. Always use a link with small letters to rip off people. I try to contact, their customer service was worst. And at the end on their terms and conditions. They never will give anyone the cash back if you won't qualify. That means if you won't purchased their timeshare you won't get anything so please never use Holiday Inn for any of your vacations.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Two years ago I stayed at Bellwood Manheim Road and I'm unsatisfied as a unhappy customer, I paid cash and my cash was not returned to me even after talking to the night and supervisor and as a overnight staying customer satisfaction was not given to return my money as promised.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

You can always depend on Holiday Inns to be clean, very comfortable beds, free breakfast, located in an area with lots to do, and a friendly staff. The Holiday Inn in Maize, KS meets all these requirements and more. They also have a great weight room and swimming pool. The rates are always very competitive with other hotels too!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holiday Inn?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

My experience was pleasant and satisfying. The customer service was polite and friendly. I really needed a place close by to where a funeral was that my parents were attending. So it was a very stressful situation for everyone and that Holiday Inn gave me the brief sanctuary I needed until it was time for me to go home. I was grateful for it. All I needed was a spot to hang out comfortably for a short time. Holiday Inn provided the cable tv, the sofa, and a menu so I could order some take out. The hotel room provided the exact services and environment I needed, so I was completely satisfied.

I was a nervous wreck that day but they gave me fast, friendly service directly to a room where I could relax, get something to eat, get my mind together for a few hours. I didn't encounter a single problem and felt well-collected when I checked out. I was a nervous wreck that day but they gave me fast, friendly service directly to a room where I could relax, get something to eat, get my mind together for a few hours.

Original review: July 19, 2017

The following was my experience with this particular Holiday Inn on 7/14/17. Holiday Inn declined to post my comments. I'm a disabled veteran and I made a reservation for two rooms. One room for myself and one for my son, daughter in law and grandson. I requested that one room be an accessible room and additionally requested that they be adjoining since the nature of my disability prevents me from walking very much or any substantial distance and I'm unable to ascend or descend stairs. When I checked in none of the front desk staff attempted to ascertain the nature of my disability even though I was using a walker. I was assigned a room on the 4th floor and at the opposite end of the floor was my son. At approximately 1:30 am on the 15th the fire alarm was activated and sounded for approximately 6 to 7 minutes (although it felt like an eternity).

I cannot describe my level of anxiety after calling 5 or 6 times while the alarm was sounding to find out if I should be evacuated and then not receiving an answer. My son, who was asleep as I was, eventually made it to my room in the middle of the alarm and reminded me that taking the elevator was not an option. He said he would carry me down the steps if he needed to. I weigh 350 lbs. Just as we were about to exit the room the alarm stopped. I again attempted to contact the front desk on the phone and still no answer. Once it became apparent that it was a false alarm (people below my floor started returning to their rooms) my son eventually returned to his room.

I lie awake for another 2 or 3 hours partly because I never even received a courtesy call to check on my welfare (which only added to my anxiety) or to even let me know it was a false alarm... and partly because of the loud talking and commotion of guests who took their time about returning to their rooms. As I was checking out the following morning I spoke to the lady at the front desk (someone different) and explained my concern. While she was very nice and acknowledged my concerns she said she was unable to fulfill my original request that I be refunded for at least one room given my frightening experience. She explained that only the manager was authorized to honor my request and the manager had not come in as of yet.

She did, however, offer me $30 off each room which at the time I felt something was better than nothing. I shudder to think what might have happened had there truly been a fire. Finally, this is my worse experience ever at a Holiday Inn. I've been a Priority Club member for over 20 years. I'm considering giving up my Priority Club status because the guests seem to be the least of your priority... especially those with physical disabilities.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I'm from Canada. I wanted to have a romantic weekend with my wife in Niagara Falls, Canada, so I went online for my first time and booked a Holiday Inn in Niagara. Less than 2 mins after I get email confirmation that I booked Holiday Inn, New York... I quickly called the hotel. Spoke to manager explaining what happened. Told him it was a accident. I meant to book Holiday Canada. Cite it was my first time using online booking. I am human - we all make mistakes. I was begging him to cancel. He showed no mercy and no compassion.

I literally called less than 5 mins after booking to cancel... so again Holiday showed no mercy or compassion or customer service. They charged me $300 for stay I could not attend to... meanwhile the reservation was cancelled within at least 10 mins off booking, and I'm sure they had rebooked that same room within mins... so I'm really disappointed with Holiday Inn services, policies and everything to do with Holiday. I don't recommend Holiday Inn to anyone... I nor my friends or my family will never go to Holiday again.

Original review: July 11, 2017

So I bit and took the offer to prepay for a 4 day 3 night stay at a Holiday Inn affiliate for $249. I chose Cocoa Beach since it wasn't far away since I knew it involved a timeshare presentation. Many thanks for booking my stay at a Best Western suites for the entire stay. I am so glad you thought so much about the marketing side and booked me in a non-affiliated hotel chain. I had a great view of a Holiday Inn Express not even 1000 ft away from my front door. I even asked the guy who was giving the timeshare presentation about what properties they had available under Best Western and surprisingly they had none. I did tell the salesman and his bosses that my memory of that weekend was spent entirely as a guest of Best Western and that is what I will tell my friends and family and then asked why should I invest thousands in a timeshare when you can't even put your guest in an affiliated hotel.

That and the fact that I am a licensed real estate agent in Florida and would rather invest my money in real property instead of buying something that I can only get rid of by getting another idiot to buy my share. But yes, I enjoyed my weekend at Best Western suite on behalf of Holiday Inn club vacations and would recommend anyone visiting Cocoa Beach to stay there.

Original review: July 10, 2017

I stayed for 1 night. I was charged for 4 nights. I have been fighting them for 5 days now. My bank has placed a fraud claim against this hotel on my behalf. It is just sad that they feel they can take my money anytime they want. 450 dollars for one night. Not refunded back yet.

Original review: June 4, 2017

IHG are frauds-don't trust them and don't book with them. My story: I reserved 3 rooms and was told if I ring by a certain time the following day I can cancel my reservations. Once I booked my rooms I was sent a confirmation text with a confirmation number. I rang back the following day by the deadline time to cancel my bookings as all family members couldn't make the trip so no one was going. I was sent a cancellation number by text as I cancelled my three rooms. However, since then I received my credit card statement and they have charged me £168 twice.

When I rang to query this... keep in mind I was passed from Pillar to post for over a week and was given the most disgraceful customer service ever. I finally got through to the highest rank in complaints to be told that the charges stand??? She said I cancelled one room but not the other two.?? I said I gave the confirmation number I was sent by text and that's the only number I was given. She said they sent me 3 reservation numbers. I even emailed her a copy of the text I received with just the one number and she said she will check with IT. They have got back to me by email and said the charges stand and they have closed the case.

Please, please, please mark my words. I am a very honest person and if I had made the error I would put my hands up and say it's my fault. But they sent me one confirmation number and I quoted that one number only assuming all three rooms booked under that one confirmation number have been cancelled. They sent me one text with one number. What do I do... start making up numbers from the air. Do NOT book with these guys. Fraudsters that take your monies.

Original review: May 12, 2017

I booked a room at the Holiday Inn Stadium hotel in Philadelphia in March of 2017 for an upcoming, work-related conference that I had to attend. The room was booked through the IHG Rewards website. During the booking and two weeks later when I canceled the room through the IHG website there was no warning of any cancellation fees. I canceled the room 3 weeks prior to arrival. Exactly 3 weeks later I was hit with a $1403 charge on my credit card from the hotel.

I called and Customer Service told me they'd take care of it, and I should have a resolution in 48 hours. 4 days later still no call from Customer Service so I contacted IHG. They went on to inform me that hotel would not reverse the charges. I explained that IHG website was very poorly designed and did not adequately inform me. They said I couldn't provide it. I said, "Prove to me then that the warning message was there," and they said they couldn't. They admit they cannot prove but yet they won't reverse the charges. I have spent so much time calling to try to get $1403 reversed and I get hung up on, disconnected, and there is no one who helps. Never again will I book a Holiday Inn hotel. The worst hotels ever.

Original review: May 11, 2017

I spoke with a representative after my last reservation with Holiday Inn and had a very pleasant conversation about the Vacations Getaway Program. For a mere $249 I could have a three night "memorable, fun-filled experience" at any of a number of locations. This fee would be refunded after attending a 2-hour presentation on timeshares. Not a bad price to pay for a great vacation. I've received several email since signing up. They even assign you a "VIP Guest Number." I decided on Galveston in July 2017. I called and discussed the resort and acquired the address where we would be staying. I even paid an $87 fee for attending in the peak season. No problem. After confirming availability on the dates I chose, I booked.

I then received an email several days later placing me at another hotel several miles down the road at another hotel chain. I called and they informed me there were no rooms available at the resort but I could visit and enjoy the amenities during my stay at this other hotel. Or I could pay an exorbitant fee to upgrade and actually stay at the resort, but not during the dates I reserved. It was full. Needless to say I went ballistic. I even had my daughters driving down from college to meet me and my wife. They promise you a fun-filled experience anywhere. You book a location at their resort and then get moved to another hotel, AT ANOTHER HOTEL CHAIN, down the road. This is scam, plain and simple. DO NOT FALL FOR IT!! I will not stay at any facility owned by this firm. I can not support an organization that scams its customers. And neither should you.

Original review: May 8, 2017

This is the second time visiting this hotel. We were there this past April for 5 days and thankfully I was not there for two of those days. The pool is overcrowded due to them allowing locals passes. You need to be at the pool gate when they open just to save a seat. My husband always needed to be at the gate. We felt very rushed. I suffer from severe allergies and bring my own sheets and towel. I spoke to numerous staff even the supervisor not to touch my sheets. Well by accident I happened to walk in my room and there was the housekeeper taking my sheets (Guess she did not notice my sheets were a different color). I tried for ten minutes to explain before asking her to leave (She spoke no English). I never got towels or tissues or toilet paper. I then call down and they bring the towels at 11 pm. Nevermind I went down the same night at 1 am to get tissues and toilet paper.

I never got a sorry or what can we do to resolve this. There is not enough activities for kids and adults by the pool. The activities they have inside the hotel you have to pay for I feel it should be included if you're staying in the hotel. I am not a picky person in the least but think my complaints are valid. I will not return to this place. Also there isn't many options to eat on site. Oh and one day we had the "Do Not Disturb" sign on door and they walked in any way not even a knock first. I have so many other issues with this place. I will not return.

I can go on forever. The check-in line was forever, we had one chair in our room for 6 people. we started with 6 people and my mother in law became ill and drove back to her house 2 hrs away and the hotel did not refund us that money she stayed one day. WiFi in rooms was terrible. Air Conditioner was not working correctly. The shower was moldy and stained. I also do not like that even if you are staying at the hotel you have to pay to park at hotel. The check-in line took forever.

Original review: March 1, 2017

I have been a priority club member since 1986. I had traveled extensively for business and always stayed in a Holiday for most personal travel. I had compiled around 700,000 points. I had the opportunity to purchase consumer items or free hotel stays - but elected to save my points for something major. I used to get membership statements in the mail and online. I changed my internet service provider, therefore my email address changed. At some indeterminate time the statements quit showing up in the mail as well. I was no longer traveling on business as well.

I was getting ready to book a hotel room in Houston TX and thought I might inquire about the status of my priority club account. When I called the toll-free I number - I was informed by someone with an Indian accent that my points had expired in May 2016. One of the reasons I had always insisted on Holiday Inn Hotel stays was because their points rolled over indefinitely. I spoke with three levels of management at the customer service center that the Hotel Chain now outsources too. All three assured me that they are powerless to restore my points which expired due to account inactivity.

The reality of the situation is I had stayed at other Holiday Inns but had failed to get credit using my priority membership. What disappoints me most is that the fact that the customer relations people project an attitude of powerlessness. I expected that my points be restored immediately, with the understanding that from this point going forward, note that the rules had now changed. They had been sending notifications to the wrong email address for years, and I was oblivious to the fact that my points were in jeopardy. They were unable to help me - and assured that a mid-level manager on a different continent is my last resort to achieving customer satisfaction in this instance. Very - very poor customer service.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

The hotel was thrown up quite rapidly I was told to accommodate visitors who were there for a boat race. Upon arrival the room appeared to be well stocked, but with no room service one day, the items were fast disappearing that one uses: soap, toilet paper, etc. No new bedding, no new towels. Customer service was extremely average. Their complimentary breakfast was a good thing but most chains are doing that now. Of course, they jack up the price of the room to make up for the powdered eggs that one eats.

Also, the walls were paper thin, my door to the hall was cut too short, and all outside noise infiltrates the rooms if you are in a front room (which I was). There was excessive noise in the front of the building one night, and the desk response was very poor. Unfortunately I was right in the front where all the drunken brawling was going on from 10 pm to 2 am. The people working that evening did very, very little to quell the noise. If I stayed there again, which I more than likely will never do, I would definitely ask to have a room facing the back of the facility. Oh, and the drag racing in the hotel parking lot was a joy for racing fans. A real perk is having a liquor store on the corner. The drunks can keep refueling all night. I definitely would not recommend this hotel to anyone who is working in or vacationing in Port Huron. Too expensive for what I received.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

We stay in the Lichfield Holiday Inn Express a few times a year. The hotel is very modern and priced at a very reasonable rate - ideal for overnight stays when driving across the country with the family. It's my favorite place to stay because it's clean with good amenities and the staff are friendly, attentive and efficient. We usually check in late at night and someone is there ready to help us. The hotel doesn't offer tons of inclusions, but the breakfast is decent and the amenities in the room, the in-room coffee maker and other appliances, are nice. I've never used the pool there, but I like that there are a lot of charging outlets, including USB outlets.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

We had a well spent stay at Holiday Inn at San Jose, California. We checked in really late, tired and starving. I show my ID and reservation, and done, good to go and then gave us banana and yogurt. This little act of kindness is etched in my heart because one individual who works at this Holiday Inn Express makes my overall experienced amazingly excellent and memorable. They went the extra miles. Also, the location and customer service was jackpot. It felt like home away from home.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

I stayed at Holiday Inn at Perrysburg. The value of my stay was great. The place was clean and well-organized, and my room was set up and great. They have pleasant people, everyone was well-groomed and polite for answering questions about things, especially about the early free breakfast. It was a pleasant place to be in. I used to work there back in the 80's and I loved the place. The crew worked to go for the best.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

The room was spotless and smelled fresh and clean. The bathroom was spacious and sparkling clean. The bed linens were crisp and fresh. There was never any strange smell just the smell of a clean room like laundry freshly dried. They have a great swimming pool that is safe and family friendly. The have a workout area with modern equipment such as a treadmill. The TV was large and had many channels to watch. The rewards program is easy to earn points. Customer service is very helpful if you have questions. I earn points easily because I choose to stay at Holiday Inn whenever I travel. The people who work at the front desk are great. They will help with any questions you have. If you need extra towels or soap, they will gladly give you some promptly. If you have questions in general the toll free number is easy to get in touch with and the reps are very friendly.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

There was repair and renovations taking place at the time of our stay and the room was not vacuumed very well. There was dust everywhere. We would have preferred a continental breakfast to be included with our stay, which it was not. I believe ice and a coffee maker were included in our stay. The front desk could have cared less that we were there. Very dismissive and not at all helpful. When asked how to get to our room, I was simply given a pointed finger up.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2016

The room was clean. The sheets looked very clean, no bugs nor any funky smells. The carpets were clean, and the lobby/office was very clean as well. Well, they were average I guess. They were nice but normal. Nothing really special or extraordinary about it. They were very friendly and caring. I wish they had more staff but oh well. They met all my needs and I have no complaints whatsoever.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2016

Bathroom was very clean but old and needed updated caulking, carpet needed a cleaning, bed sheets ok smelled clean. Price was a bit high for what you got. You had the lil free soap and shampoo in bathroom, ice bucket for ice machine, and cable TV with one premium channel. Room service was available also.Front reception was very efficient except I would have liked lower check in area since I'm so short but they get you checked in quick or a place to sit and check in would be nice.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

Depending on which Holiday Inn you visit, some can be really dirty and some quite nice. The majority of my visits have been lacking in cleanliness when it comes to just about every aspect including linens, floors, bathrooms, etc. Holiday Inn generally has sufficient amenities however not compared to other hotels. They are quite basic such as microwave, simple coffee and fruit in the mornings if you make it down to the office before it's picked over. Customer service is decent. Again, this really depends on which Holiday Inn you visit as to who is working on that given day and their disposition. It's basic customer service such as "I need more towels" but nothing extravagant.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

I love staying at the Holiday Inn Motels and Inns especially the ones that prepare and serve a good hot breakfast as a compliment to your overnight stay. The Holiday Inns that I've stayed at have always had great amenities. They have a fridge, coffeemaker, iron, microwave as well as a blow dryer in all of their rooms. My husband is the one that keeps up with the rewards when we get some. I'm sure it's a great program or he would not fool with it. The customer service has always been way beyond what I would expect from a brand that has been around for a very long time. The staff has always treated us with respect and been very attentive to our needs.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

It was very clean and didn't have to worry that you might catch something. The room had a nice clean and fresh smell to it. The pool and exercise room was very convenient and they were well maintained and with reasonable hours. The breakfast was open at decent hours so all kinds of guests could enjoy it. The people at the front desk were always helpful and willing to answer any questions that you may have had. The housekeeping workers were very courteous and willing to help you if you needed anything.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

Big clean room with swimming pool and a gym available for members, nice firm beds to sleep in. Tons of rooms. Elevator and stairs access. Lots of great amenities. Big beds, soft and firm, room service, breakfast and all the goods you can get out of it. It was my brother-in-law who bought the rooms. Probably gets points or something for free stay in the future. Really helpful staff who assist you in any way possible for the best satisfaction they can give you and anything you want and stuff. Cool.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

I did not get to visit this resort. I couldn't get there with the agreement made between me and Holiday Inn Club Vacations. I agreed to speak with a representative after my last reservation with Holiday Inn and had a very pleasant explanation of the Vacations getaway program. For a mere $249 I could have a three night "memorable, fun-filled experience" at any of a number of locations. Since signing up I've been inundated with emails luring me to all the resorts they have. "Looking for another destination? No problem. There are plenty of choices", the emails kept saying. They even assign you a "VIP Guest Number."

Last week I decided on Scottsdale in January or February 2017 and called to confirm that rooms were available, and was told by a jolly young man named Matthew that they certainly were. After confirming with my travel partner the dates we wanted, I called back, on December 3rd and was told "Rooms are not available but we can upgrade you for $600+". Needless to say I went ballistic.

They promise you a fun-filled experience anywhere and do not say a thing about restrictions, until you call. Then, mysteriously, there are no rooms, unless you pay a lot more. This is scam, plain and simple. DO NOT FALL FOR IT!! I will not stay at any facility owned by this firm. I can not support an organization that scams its customers. And neither should you.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

The room was fairly clean. Only this and that was a little off but usually Holiday Inns are very thorough with their cleaning in order to make their guests comfortable and happy. Some are better than others. When breakfast is included that is the best. In Chicago a hotel I stayed in had free drinks for an hour or two in the lobby. That was awesome. Very nice staff and very happy to be there. Always got what we needed since we usually had extra pillows and blankets we needed so that was nice.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

Very clean beds and bathrooms, they clean the bathroom every day and change the sheets every day. They vacuum and clean the microwave. I was in the suite and they cleaned the dishes I used. The amenities in my suite were 2 HD TVs, fast wifi, a refrigerator, a microwave, a desk to put my laptop on, a single serve coffee maker and a dishwasher. Everything worked fine and looked modern. If you stay so many nights you get a free night. It's a deal available some of the time. The customer service was good. I would call and they would answer the phone quickly. I stayed a couple weeks and I ordered things from Amazon and the hotel would bring the packages up.

Holiday Inn expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Holiday Inn was founded in 1952 and is now an InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) brand. There are more than 1,200 Holiday Inn hotels with 228,100 rooms worldwide, making it one of the world’s largest hotel chains.

• Kids stay free: At Holiday Inns there is no charge for children under age 19 when they stay in the same room as their parents. Kids under 12 can order off the children’s menu for free at all onsite restaurants. Guests can visit the Holiday Inn website for more information.
    • Pools and fitness centers: Most hotels in this chain have indoor and/or outdoor pools available for recreational or fitness activities. Guests will also likely have access to a fitness center when staying at a Holiday Inn.
    • Supports small business: Holiday Inn is currently involved in IHG’s Journey to Extraordinary campaign. This year, the brand is exploring ways to help small businesses owners and entrepreneurs with business travel. They have partnered with two small businesses, Sword & Plough and Perfect 10, to learn about the small business traveler and find ways to make travel easier for that group.
    • Rewards credit card: With IHG’s Rewards Club Select Credit Card cardholders earn points for every purchase they make, which can then be used for free hotel stays at any IHG hotel, including Holiday Inns. New customers can receive 70,000 bonus points when they spend at least $2,000 during the first three months they have the IHG Credit Card, which can give them as many as 14 free nights. See IHG’s website to apply.
    • Smartphone app: IHG’s app makes it easy for travelers to quickly book a room at any of their brands, including Holiday Inn. The Flyertea Travel Awards named the app the Best Travel Mobile App in 2015. It is available for both Apple and Android platforms.
    • Best for: Holiday Inn caters to families, business travelers and budget conscious travelers.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs