3.52/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 20, 2018

247 Holiday Inn Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

Consumer beware! I was forced to make a reservation through a third party Site Search LLC. The fine print stated a 2 week notice of cancellation. I cancelled 4 days prior to my stay due to emergency as Holiday Inn has a 24 hour notice policy. I was in fact charged $148 by Holiday Inn. When I contacted the hotel directly, the they would not issue a refund and I was out the money. Lesson learned. Never do business with Site Search or IHG hotels. Hopefully IHG will review this terrible hotel reservation policy and be sensitive to urgent circumstances. NEVER STAY AT A HOLIDAY INN!

Original review: April 16, 2018

This review is for the Holiday Inn Timeshare promotion to stay 3 nights for $245 and receive it back once you finish watching the presentation. We feel like we were totally mislead with their unethical marketing strategies. We were told initially that we would stay at the Holiday Inn Vacations Resort and chose the Scottsdale location and got on a plane all the way from the East Coast thinking we would enjoy and stay in this beautiful resort that we read about and saw photos online. Once we arrive in Scottsdale we find out that we are not staying at the Resort but at a cheap Holiday Inn Express with a falling apart mattress and paper walls that prevent us from relaxing and sleeping at night.

To top that the Resort where we had to go to watch the presentation the following day was about 20 miles from the hotel they put us in and they didn’t offer any type of transportation to the Resort and they won’t give your $245 back unless you watch their presentation. We were obligated to take a cab to the Resort and ended up spending a extra $80 for transportation to the Resort. The presentation itself was nice and Ricky was extremely nice and not pushy so we had not problem with the presentation itself and the Resort seemed nice but how can you get excited about purchasing from a company that misled you horribly like that???

We went to a prior Timeshare presentation which we actually purchased the Timeshare and the reason we purchased is because they put us in their Resort and we really could enjoy their amenities and experience a little bit of what would be owning a piece of their property and didn’t feel mislead by the brand in any way. Not the case with Holiday Inn Vacations! And for us unfortunately what we thought would be this great relaxing time at their Resort was this a sleepless night and a waste of our time and money. Because we of course couldn’t stay in that cheap hotel they put us in for more than one night we had to book another hotel for the two remaining nights we were scheduled to stay in Scottsdale and we ended finding out that the Resort across the street from the Holiday Inn Resort called Fairmont is way superior and so much nicer than the Holiday Inn! They even have a beautiful golf course, there is no comparison!

I am glad we could find available accommodations but the trip ended up being way more expensive and stressful than what we thought because of Holiday Inn unethical marketing strategies and the way they mislead us. They also give you a voucher for $100 to stay in one of their hotels but of course after what they put us through we don’t want to ever stay in any of their properties ever again!!!

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 29, 2018

We reserved the room at Holiday Inn at Norwich, CT on March 24 to get the sleep we needed after a concert at Foxwoods because we live 2.5 hours away from Norwich. However, the hotel did not provide the services we paid for, which was a room we can sleep in overnight! Our intended stay did not go well even from the start. We arrived around 4:30 p.m., and the room was not ready, even though check-in is at 3 p.m. But it was when we got our room and tried to rest a little before the concert we realized that it was impossible to sleep in this room. There was an elevator near our room, making a very loud noise, almost like a plane landing every 15 to 30 seconds as the elevator went up and down. Once we realized this, we called the front desk and asked for another room. We were told there are no other rooms available.

As a result, we told the front desk we can’t stay in this room and asked for a refund. However, we were told that the hotel can’t provide a refund unless Expedia approved. When we called Expedia, they told us the hotel would have to approve. In the meantime, both Expedia and ourselves asked for the hotel Manager to talk about this issue, but told the manager was not available. Finally, we called Expedia again to cancel our reservation and that we are checking out because it is impossible to sleep in that room. We checked out and returned the keys sometime around 6 pm. Customer Service at Expedia assigned a case for our complaint but then we received an email from Expedia saying that our request for a refund was rejected by the Hotel.

We have stayed at Holiday Inn hotels in several cities many times in the past and have never had this problem before. This incidence showed us that we can never rely on the services of Holiday Inn again. It is just not an ethical business practice to charge a customer but then put them in a room which is impossible to sleep. We are both senior citizens, and this forced us to drive back home for 2.5 hours at nighttime. We believe this could be even considered a fraudulent action on the part of the Holiday Inn at Norwich. I don't think we will do business with the Expedia again either. We suspect that the Hotel is reserving the worst rooms to Expedia customers and Expedia is failing to protect the rights of their customers. It's better to pay $10-$20 more and make a reservation directly with a reliable hotel.

Original review: March 27, 2018

The staff at Mackinaw City, MI were wonderful and very helpful with any questions that I had. The room was nice and tidy. They had a nice gym room, pool and different amenities. Very nice breakfast spread with cereals and other food.

Original review: March 26, 2018

My experience with Holiday Inn Washington was excellent. The room was perfect. It was just the way I would picture it. Staff was wonderful and the food was great The place was clean and comfortable. I would stay again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holiday Inn?

Original review: March 25, 2018

I paid premium price at the Holiday Inn Philadelphia only to go to room to learn of mildew smell. I returned service desk and could not get a refund. I fought 30 days to get my refund back.

Original review: March 23, 2018

They are always super accommodating at Holiday Inn Corona. The staff is warm and welcoming. The breakfast is excellent and free. The rooms are always clean and the pool and the spa have working handicap chairs. They're also always nice about check out.

Original review: March 22, 2018

My vacation was great. Never had a problem at the hotel. Everyone at Holiday Inn Orlando was great. It was very pleasant and will go back soon.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have been staying at Holiday Inns for 30+ years and my points were just cancelled without any notice. As of 06/25/09 Points Balance: 385379. Status: GOLD. Membership #: **. My last stay at a IHG affiliate was 2016.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I got to my room at Holiday Inn Dallas, TX quick after check-in. Bellmen brought my bags up placed them in the room. Room had a nice view and it was very clean. The hotel bar was amazing, well stocked and the food was delicious. The location was near shopping. My experience overall was great.

Original review: March 18, 2018

Holiday Inn Minneapolis' location and convenience were very good. Walking distance to shopping, restaurants and others. Parking was a good value as well. Easy access to public transportation. They have reasonable rates, comfortable clean rooms and good breakfast.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I enjoyed my stay at Holiday Inn Houston Texas USA. One room for four people but it worked plenty of space for us. The room was quiet, clean and had everything we needed. The free breakfast was ok and staff was nice all around. Good stay.

Original review: March 13, 2018

The hotel was clean, comfortable and quiet. It was also friendly and safe. They have a decent breakfast. Good quality for the price. It was a Holiday Inn Express in the Ashley part of Charleston - you know what you are getting but this hotel was a little better than normal, convenient and not in the busy, tourist part of town. Well located near restaurants and the Interstate.

Original review: March 12, 2018

At any of the Holiday Inn Expresses we always experience clean comfortable rooms and good breakfast. On some occasion reception desk persons don't seem real enthused about your visit.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I have been a member of the Holiday Inn Priority Club/IHG Rewards Club for nearly 30 years and a loyal customer. I have stayed at their properties for business and on family vacations but have never had to invoke my benefit of the 72 hour room guarantee. I called the Rewards hotline more than a week ahead of time trying to make a reservation for a weekend in Ocean City, MD in late February. After having been disconnected by the first agent and having to call back and go through the entire explanation a second time with people who clearly speak English as a second language, my frustration was growing.

Additionally, why do they ask us to enter our account information and the city and property we wish to visit if they aren’t going to pass that information on to subsequent agents? I found myself having to explain everything multiple times during the same call, including my account number, personal information, travel plans etc. That brings us to the reservation. Both calls resulted in the agent informing me that the hotel I was looking to visit was sold out for the weekend in question. I explained that I am a Platinum Elite member and would like to invoke my 72 hour room guarantee benefit. They both said they would need to call the hotel to make the arrangements.

My first call ended up in my being disconnected but my second call resulted in the agent returning and informing me that the hotel in question is sold out and there is nothing they can do. She continued by saying she could try to get me into the Holiday Inn Express at the south end of Ocean City on bayside but I explained that hotel is not Oceanfront and it is too far from the convention center where my daughter’s activities were taking place. I added that the benefit is called “72 hr Room GUARANTEE” not “72 hr, we’ll see what we can do for ya and do the best we can” benefit. There are plenty of hotel chains out there that are much nicer than the IHG chain. I’m sure HILTON and Marriott would be happy to get my business and personal travel because Holiday Inn has lost a customer.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018 Do not, under any circumstance, purchase this offer. I was contacted as a Holiday Inn member and offered a $199 deal for 3 nights stay. I had to attend a 2 hour time-share presentation, and would receive $100 cash back after the presentation. I purchased the offer. This is an unethical and highly misleading sales call:

I was misled to believe that the stay was at the resort. It's not, it is at a nearby Holiday Inn unless they have a resort room available. I was misled to believe there were no blackout days. There are no blackout days, but they do restrict the number of resort rooms they make available. So, there of course is no resort rooms available on the days I want to visit.

I asked for the details of the offer, more than once. The salesperson deftly redirected me to other discussions and did not provide the details until AFTER I purchased. When I called to make my reservation, then I was told that the stay is NOT in the resort, and IS restricted by availability. I completely, totally, fully recommend that you boycott Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Vacations. Perhaps then they will respect their customers.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I was setting up a stay in Woodbury, MN, at a Holiday Inn Express for the night of 1/31/18. After booking my stay I was asked if I would be interested in a 4 Day & 3 Night stay at another Hoilday Inn for $199.00. I listened to the agent talk and I was open to trying another Holiday Inn. I was told it would cost $199.00, but would be refunded at the time of the stay. I would have to listen to a two hour timeshare presentation. At no time did the agent say the $199.00 was non-refundable.

I tentatively looked at the fall of 2018 with a stay in Williamsburg, VA. This was tentative. There were no dates picked, this was just the time of year I was looking at. Basically, I am being charged for something that is not booked or confirmed. And I get to put it on my account 10 months before I may or may not use it. There is something wrong with paying for something you did not get. I received my credit card statement and the $199.00 charge was on my card.

I called Holiday Inn Club Vacations and was told they could not refund the money. I asked to speak to a manager and was told it could not be handled at their end. But, the agent provided me with an email: customerservice@holidayinnclub.com. I went online and it took me to a site which asked questions about my Williamsburg, VA stay, which has not happened. To get in the system I put in the Woodbury info. The customer service site was not what I was told it would be, or offer a place to work on resolution.

For anyone else out there, a warning. Make your reservation for the Holiday Inn Express, but do not move forward with the Holiday Inn Club talk. I am pretty astute, but this one slipped by me. I will now have to dispute the payment with my credit card company and I plan to file a complaint with the Minnesota Attorney General's office, so no one else is pulled into this type of timeshare tactics.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Orange Lake Resort, Holiday Inn Club Vacations, 17001 Front Beach FL, 32413. Recently my family and I stayed at Orange Lake Resort (December 31, 2017 – January 5, 2018), my parents had given us the stay as a Christmas present as they have been IHG owners since 2004 (Originally South Beach Vacation Club). We had stayed at Orange Lake in the past and loved it so we requested to stay again. We arrived very late on the 31st as we were at Disney for the New Year’s Eve celebration.

When we arrived in our room, we were extremely disappointed with the condition of the building and room. I will gladly supply photos of the following: The elevator is old and rickety, the exterior is not well kept, there were holes in our wall, our bedsheets had 2 holes and what appears to be blood stains, the air filter had mounds of dust (it looks as if it has not been changed in years), the toilet did not flush properly, the light fixtures had dead bugs in them, the cabinet doors did not open properly - one drawer did not open at all, and the appliances were old, dented, and worn out (in other words, everything was disgusting). The refrigerator actually froze anything that was placed in it. Nothing in this establishment was maintained.

The next day, my husband went to the front desk to voice his concerns. At this point we had also asked about the security measure taken as there is not a card required for entry into the rooms from the exterior. There had been people up and down the hall all night. Kids were screaming and running around the next morning as well. Our issues were dismissed and he was told that we had been placed in this section due to the points used and that security was not an issue. If we noticed anything – we should just make them aware. In retrospect, I wish we had pushed the security issue.

As Orlando was extremely busy and we had no other options for accommodations, we stayed versus cancelling our reservations and going elsewhere. Tuesday night, we had requested more towels. We were told there was an $8.00 fee per set. We said never mind. I understand that this is policy but when maintenance fees are paid each year, the conditions of the hotel should be kept up and there should be no charge for exchanging towels.

On Wednesday morning, VIP services had called, when my husband had told them what was going on, they told him that we were due for an upgrade because of the owner’s status and we should not have been placed in the clubhouse area in the first place and that we were entitled to the upgrade at check-in. We did not press the issue or asked to be moved as it was already Wednesday and there was no point in moving at that point. We had already voiced our concerns and it did not seem to matter to the staff or management.

Thursday night, we returned late from the park. It looked as if our luggage had been rifled through and our clothes were piled up and messy. We repacked everything and decided that we would look through everything Friday morning prior to check–out as it was late and we were exhausted after the long day. While we were packing up on Friday morning, we noticed that our children’s tablets were missing (value of apx. $500). They had been placed in my husband’s backpack the night of the 31st when we arrived and we had left them in the bag the entire week. I would also like to mention that we had left the “do not disturb” sign up the duration of our stay so that no one would enter with our belongings in the room, as the tablets would not fit securely in the safe.

Friday morning, my husband went to the front desk to report what had happened, the manager on duty **, would not come out of his office to handle the issue. Finally, after my husband repeatedly insisted, he came out to speak with him. ** attitude was basically “too bad”. He had no concern about the fact that there had been an apparent theft. He stated that he would have security call us. They never did call.

Later that day, my husband spoke with another manager, **, who stated he would follow up with security. Again, Security never called as promised. In the meantime, my mother was dealing with ** (Operations). My mother was complaining about the room conditions and the security factor along with the theft. The issue was escalated to ** (Head of Operations) who told my mother that she had spoken with me (that never happened and that ** stated we said the tablets could have been left at the park – also, never happened). My husband had explained to ** that he had left them in his backpack in the room during our stay. This was twisted several times. It seems that everyone is trying to cover themselves and it is concerning to me that the staff is so casual and dishonest about the complaints. The entire situation has been handled in a severely unprofessional manner.

We were told that the time logs only show us entering and leaving the room so nothing will be done. We were also emailed a table of the log times/dates. I find this completely unacceptable and disappointing. We know that someone was in our room despite what the logs state. We also noticed a random log stating that the room was entered during a time when we were at Disney, this has yet to be addressed. The cameras should show an entry to our room by someone other than us.

Another area of security concern is that most chains will enter the room after 2 days of a displayed “do not disturb” sign as a security measure. The staff insists no one entered the room. After doing research, I learned that this is also a security issue that should be addressed, as most chains have this policy in effect to protect their guests. The lack of policy on this issue shows that Orange Lake has no concern for the security of its guests. There are a number of issues ranging from cleanliness/maintenance, staff incompetence/professionalism/customer service, security, etc... These are major issues that need to be handled appropriately. The staff seems to need training on customer concerns, security, and safety. Browsing through past reviews, this is extremely evident that I am not the only patron who shares in these concerns. I have never dealt with such poor customer service.

The fact that the BBB complaint percentage is at 80% negative is alarming in itself. This is not what I have come to expect from anything attached to the Holiday Inn brand. While I understand that this is an IHG partnership and not an ownership, I would hope that the IHG Corporation would be proactive with these concerns. My expectation is that the tablets are replaced and my parents get some, if not all, of their points returned. I would also like reassurance that the staff has been dealt with and trained. Professionalism is key.

I reached out to Holiday Inn Corporate on 1.7.18. I asked that the correspondence be forwarded to the manager and general manager. I made them aware of the steps of actions that I would be taking should this issue not be resolved. No one has returned any form of correspondence. ** had promised that she would be in contact on 1.8.18 and never returned the call. I do not feel that Orange Lake is meeting a consumer obligation of safety, customer service, or maintenance (since maintenance fees are applied annually). Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns that you may have. I would also like the opportunity to share with you the photographs showing the mentioned maintenance issues as Orange Lake Resorts did not seem to be bothered by the conditions.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Hotel in Sorrento Mesa, San Diego, CA is comfortable and welcoming to travelers. It's geared more to business than the tourist trade. Staff is personable and welcoming. Would certainly stay there again if given the opportunity.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Holiday Inn Scottsdale, Arizona, USA. I had a fantastic stay. I was there alone for medical care - suffice it to say, I was there longer than the norm. I felt free to come & go safely both before & after surgery. Always felt welcome. Front desk was the best!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I've been very pleased with every Holiday Inn Express I've stayed in and this one (Kent, OH) met all my expectations. It was modern, clean, convenient, and a good value for my money. Since I travel alone I also appreciate that I feel safe at a Holiday Inn.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Almost everywhere we go in the US, the Holiday Inn hotel chain gives consistently reasonable prices, agreeable & hospitable staff, clean & attractive rooms, & an excellent breakfast. It is located conveniently to area business & attractions.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Good location for casino lovers--close to highways and Hard Rock Tampa. Rooms were decent--not outstanding and hot breakfast was great considering the price.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

The wheelchair accessible room at the north end of Holiday Inn Ocean City, Maryland is complete and comfortable. The view of the bayside park was a boon during times when I was unable to get outside. The location allowed us to avoid using the car and get to the bay or the ocean quickly. There are good restaurants and grocery within a block or 2. The staff is always ready to help with information and ideas to help make your stay even better.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Holiday Inn in Smyrna, Ga conveniently situate near shopping, and local amenities. It's safe and there's morning breakfast, swimming pool, gym, and nearby restaurants.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Georgetown - Washington DC: Really helpful staff, nice room but was unimpressed with Cafe breakfast. Food expensive. But it's really well located and great shuttle service around area.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Holiday Inn Santee, South Carolina. We stop here and have gone at different times of the year on our way to Florida. and have always been impressed by the excellent room choices, the very satisfying breakfast, and the opportunity to park right outside your room. Next store is a very nice seafood restaurant which is easy to walk to and whose food is delicious.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

I stay at Holiday Inn in North Carolina every 3 months ‘cause I have to come see my doctor here in Concord, NC. They give me a medical rate plus my husband & I have been priority members forever. You always know what you are getting at Holiday Inn Express and their rewards program really gives you stays for free. Easier than any other chain claims too.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Great Customer service at Holiday Inn in Chicago, IL. USA. Everything was clean and breakfast was good. The bed was more comfortable than the one at home. We also enjoyed the pool/whirlpool room. It was nice.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Holiday Inn Fort Worth Texas - It was wonderful. Everything I wanted and needed was right there. Great experience for me and my wife and kids are doing great in that time of the time of year.

Holiday Inn expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Holiday Inn was founded in 1952 and is now an InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) brand. There are more than 1,200 Holiday Inn hotels with 228,100 rooms worldwide, making it one of the world’s largest hotel chains.

• Kids stay free: At Holiday Inns there is no charge for children under age 19 when they stay in the same room as their parents. Kids under 12 can order off the children’s menu for free at all onsite restaurants. Guests can visit the Holiday Inn website for more information.

• Pools and fitness centers: Most hotels in this chain have indoor and/or outdoor pools available for recreational or fitness activities. Guests will also likely have access to a fitness center when staying at a Holiday Inn.

• Supports small business: Holiday Inn is currently involved in IHG’s Journey to Extraordinary campaign. This year, the brand is exploring ways to help small businesses owners and entrepreneurs with business travel. They have partnered with two small businesses, Sword & Plough and Perfect 10, to learn about the small business traveler and find ways to make travel easier for that group.

• Rewards credit card: With IHG’s Rewards Club Select Credit Card cardholders earn points for every purchase they make, which can then be used for free hotel stays at any IHG hotel, including Holiday Inns. New customers can receive 70,000 bonus points when they spend at least $2,000 during the first three months they have the IHG Credit Card, which can give them as many as 14 free nights. See IHG’s website to apply.

• Smartphone app: IHG’s app makes it easy for travelers to quickly book a room at any of their brands, including Holiday Inn. The Flyertea Travel Awards named the app the Best Travel Mobile App in 2015. It is available for both Apple and Android platforms.

• Best for: Holiday Inn caters to families, business travelers and budget conscious travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs