2.05/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

273 Holiday Inn Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I booked a night at Holiday INN 777 N Pinal Ave, Casa Grande Az. I was attending a wedding in Casa Grande. Unfortunately the morning of the wedding...there was a horrible flood (in the month of October) - a really bad and dangerous flood. I could not drive through the flood to get to Casa Grande for the wedding. I called the Holiday INN and told them my situation, the manager at Holiday INN 777 N Pinal informed me that because I purchased my stay with a third party vendor they could NOT refund me my money...

She also informed me that she had dealt with this third party vendor numerous times and was unable to refund anyone their money. She told me that this third party vendor would tell me it was the motel's fault but that it really was not the motel's fault, she stated she had no choice in the matter. I cancelled my reservation. Long story short...the Holiday INN 777 N Pinal Ave in Casa Grande Arizona literally LIED to me! I would suggest you make darn sure that nothing and I mean nothing will force you to have to cancel with the Holiday INN because guess what? THEY WILL NOT REFUND your money. Good luck.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

In short this Holiday Inn Vacations Club and timeshare offer is a scam run by bunch of rude people. If someone wants to file a class action lawsuit against them I completely support it. They should be taken out of business. I was called from these people with an offer to reserve a vacation package. They said they would give me $200 and an additional $100 if I would participle in their presentation. The purpose of the presentation was to show introduce the Holiday Inn Club in different locations. We went to one of these so called Holiday Inn Clubs in Las Vegas but they told us our reservation was in a different hotel! We went to the other hotel.

The front desk said we had to pay extra $40 a day for Vallet parking and internet. I said I did not need anything extra. They said I had to pay otherwise they would not give me the keys to the room. I did not want to ruin our vacation so I paid extra $40 a day for 3 days. The next morning we went back to the Holiday Inn Club for the presentation. The Holiday Inn Shuttle took us to a different building. It was a completely different atmosphere. The person was there to check us for the presentation started asking bunch of personal questions. I told her I was there for a Holiday Inn Club presentation. Why she was asking these questions. With a very rude tone she said I had to answer the questions. I asked her what does these personal questions had anything to do with Holiday Inn Club.

Anyways, I answered the questions. Then she said I was disqualified. They were begging me to go there now that I was there they said I was disqualified! What a waste of time and money on these crooks. I asked other people who came out of the presentation what was going on. They said this was all about selling timeshare. Apparently those people inside were even more rude than those at the front desk. I support anyone who wants to file a class action lawsuit against the Holiday Inn.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

The door in the hallway did not let out to a safe drive to park and unload luggage. The room thermostat did nothing. The water came out brown when we turned on the tub faucet. Also, out of 5 wall plugs, only 3 worked.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Good transport to & from airport. Ample parking. Staff was good. Clean. Rooms adequate. Bar by dining room. They had good food, breakfast and dinner. Live band. Close to attractions and local restaurants.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Checked in and read, never told there were four different buildings, just given a room number I of 4369. Took two elevators and still nothing on fourth floor close to that number. It took 59 min to find room.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holiday Inn?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I don't know how these people are allowed to stay in business. I guess it's because they are making money off consumers. I was offered a getaway package for $199, which I accepted. I was told during the phone call that it was not transferable. I was not told that it was nonrefundable. Called back less than 24 hours later to cancel due to a family crisis and was told that I agreed to their offer as being nonrefundable. I explained my situation and was told that I had to put my cancellation request in writing. I went home the same day and email the company. I waited more than 5 days and received an email that said I was told that the money was nonrefundable and that they wouldn't refund me. On the phone I told them that I wanted to hear the call where I was told that it was not refundable. It never happened.

One of their qualifications was that my husband and I had to have an annual income of $50,000 or more. My husband lost his job. Now we don't have that kind of income and can't afford the money at this time. If you are told that you can't transfer an offer and you can't get your money back, then what do you do if you suffer a family crisis. This company only cares about getting your money at any cost. Once you're locked in, they treat you with disrespect. This is how they make their money. The Better Business Bureau needs to look into this how this company does business. Be warned: Don't do business with this company no matter how good it sounds. You'll be tricked in the end.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Won’t let you exchange with any Holiday Inn vacation resorts unless you pay to change to points and then you lose everything. Go to meetings. They're rude. Obnoxious. Get mad when you say no. They should be sued!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Clean in entrance. Told us about breakfast and the times. Upstairs to second floor. Down a long hall. To get door open is a new way. If my daughter not with me I could not get in. Would have to get assistance. Just tap card to handle. Only bottle of lotion and one bar soap. Rest in jars up in tub area. Room clean. Only stayed one night. I liked the pillows as I have to sit 1/2 way up at night. They did not crush down like other motels.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I have stayed at Holiday Inn Charleston WV for years. My World renowned company whom I work for book this hotel often. I have two things to say. Janitor, John, is a very impressive, dedicated employee. He is friendly and is always working hard day or night, always with a smile and a warm greeting! The night 'manager' 'Tom', who was not wearing a name tag as all other staff were, whom was very uncomfortably unapproachable, was and always has been very rude and not the epitome of concierge. Or even just a nice person to deal with when one is staying at your wonderful establishment.

When asked for a card, which he wouldn't give... or his name, 'Tom', replied that "he does not do last names, as he had been working there 30 years and did not need to". This rude, non-welcoming man most definitely needs a refresher course in customer service! Other regular patrons confirmed that he is always like this. I have experienced it multiple times myself. This man does not need to be behind the front desk of such a wonderful establishment. Keep him on if you like, but keep him and his smug, unwelcoming face, away from your patrons! I will be reporting this time and time again behavior from "Tom" to my superiors at Loreal Professional and SalonCentric. And I, personally, who has stayed many times, will be booking at the Marriott until this horrible customer relations has been resolved. Thank you for your time.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

We were originally with Silverleaf Resorts. They were a little pushy, however now that it is Holiday Inn Resorts we are very frustrated. We were threatened in Branson, Mo that if we didn’t buy into a Trust with them our Maintenance would go up. It has gone up $372.00 now, which during Christmas season is very upsetting! I am charged every time I go to the resorts, which never happened with Silverleaf, plus being charged to move around points. This is the worse experience for a retired couple in their supposedly golden years! I can’t say anything good about this company or our experience with them!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Owner at Orange Lake Resort, Holiday Inn Vacation Club. We bought the 191,000 per year plan a few years back and it was okay, but availability was an issue so we couldn't always use it when we wanted to. Every time we used it we were asked to attend owner updates which we refused to do for the last 5 years. Last time we went to Orange Lake, they again asked us to attend 1 hour owner update, bribed us with cash so we agreed. They specifically said one hour so we booked it for the day we were leaving. We show up to our appointment. There is an employee calling out that it was a 1 hour presentation. When we met with the guy, we told him he had exactly one hour. He got angry and said,"Come on, you know from past experience these things take a minimum of 3 hours". We told him we would not stay past 1 hour. He was mad. Then he tried to get us to upgrade to the VIP plan, which would be 300,000 points.

Price per point was 30 cents. Keep in mind, we already bought 191,000 points years earlier at about 10 or 12 cents a point. So they showed us their paperwork on what we would have to pay. The paperwork showed 300,000 points at 30 cents a point minus what we already paid for a total of about 60K owed. We pointed out that we already owned 191k points, so those points shouldn't even be in there. We only needed to buy 109,000 points for VIP. He said that wasn't how it worked. So I said we weren't interested in paying twice for the same points. We offered to buy the 109k points at 30 cents. He went and got his manager with a new paper with a "sale" price of 30k. Still higher than what we would have paid for just those 109k points so we said no.

Then the third manager came out, trying to get us to buy a cruise package for 1800. We said no, and that the only way we would upgrade is if we only purchased the extra points. They said it wasn't going to happen, that we would never get below 30 cents a point ever again since we were refusing to buy that day. We just laughed and told them to give us the cash they promised us.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Holiday Inn Dallas Market Center - My 6-year-old son was brutally assaulted at his school 24 hours before I was supposed to check in. I had to stay home to deal with police investigation, child protection services and importantly trauma to my son. I called the hotel, explained the reason and the manager promised to consider reimbursement. They still have not reimbursed me and took my money.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I was told that I could pay $200. to sign up and go on a vacation of my choice area. I would get my money back after presentation - cash - and then I would get $50.00 cash, and another $100.00 for me and 3 others to visit. I chose Cocoa Beach. Yesterday Oct 16, 2018 I was told by a person named Bianca that my husband would have to attend the meeting. I was not told that in the first conversation. If I had I would not have signed on for this, as my husband does not travel because of his health. So she told me to contact and give a review to you. She said you would listen to the recorded call and get back with me. I would like to go on this trip but if I cannot I would like a complete refund.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Holiday Inn St Louis is a scam in short. I booked online costing me $131 for one night. On a Sunday Cardinals game night of course so I paid in advance to make sure I had a place to lay my head. I get there in time (check in is 4 pm for a strange reason). They charge $15 for parking - crazy because less than a parking lot away is parking all day for $6. Not only do they charge for the customers' parking but paying $130+ with a credit card but upon the reception at the counter they have the audacity to ask for another credit card (yes another) to charge $50 on hold for $2 as it shows on credit card balance then they give it back after check out if the room is not college drunk and disorderly children misusing or damaging the room etc.

Never again will I pay 130+ when I can go across the river to Collinsville (or anywhere outside rip-off St Louis) and $65 or less. Holiday Inn is definitely not worth the headache nor to be treated like we are all made of money. The carpet right inside the front door throughout the main floor is completely disgusting and dingy. For being a complete renovated Holiday Inn just recently it is seemingly run down. Where’s all this money going? Not for the underpaid employees but so used to screwing customers over that it’s typical charges they don’t question. Then they don’t refund money for not staying at all - due to the bank not paying an additional $50 for leaving our home state and my not canceling 24 hours in advance not knowing card wouldn’t work.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Recently made a reservation at a Holiday Inn hotel affiliate and was forwarded to another person without warning. Apparently I was one of the lucky few that would be offered to participate in their new and improved vacation program. I think I must have told the lady on the phone like 3 times I wasn't interested, when she persisted I said, "Can you just email me the offer? It's late and I have to get up early in the morning." Of course it was not an option, so eventually I caved and gave my credit card for a deposit for one of their properties. Next day, did a bit of research, viewed the properties online. Recent reviews of customers were horrible, and even the "model" photos of the properties were lackluster and outdated. This would never be something I would pay money, any amount to stay at.

So tried to email the confirmation that was sent, of course a non reply email. Then I called the number given to do the reservation. Lady on the phone initially nice until I said I did not want to proceed with participating due to the above mentioned reasons. She quickly became rude and reminded me that I was recorded and that there were no credits or refunds. I told her that was unfortunate as I would dispute my charges and make sure no one else got taken advantage of. She still was unwilling to do the right thing. So like they say, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I was made the offer about 6 years ago while booking a hotel for work. We went to Las Vegas. We knew there was a sales pitch to come. Against expectations we bought the smallest plan. We have upgraded 2 times. We enjoy this and have given trips to some of our friends. We have gone to Gatlinburg 2 times (going again in 2 months), Orlando 4 times and Williamsburg. We are going to Panama City for Thanksgiving to be with family. Traded point to stay in a hotel in NYC. My husband’s heath kept home last year. Missed a trip to Fox River and Orlando. We were starting to talk about buying a TINY condo in FL when this came up. Love the flexibility.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I read a lot of bad reviews about Holiday Inn vacation club and was scared to go!!! But we went anyway because we had paid a year ahead time... Glad we did. We took the timeshare tour. We were treated very respectively even though we declined to buy a timeshare. GREAT VACATION. WOULD DO IT AGAIN!!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I was offered a 5-day 4-night stay for $279. After talking to the representative I agreed on Myrtle Beach with the promise of a beachfront hotel that could sleep 5 comfortably. I flew from California (paid myself) and when we checked into our hotel it was 4 miles from the beach, dirty and smells. I first tried calling customer service with IHG and got hung up on. I called back and was told to ask for a balcony room with an overview of the beach... When I explained the only thing I could see from my room was the highway they said there’s nothing they will do.

I asked the hotel to switch me from the room (2 full size beds) and they wouldn’t. The gym has one treadmill, one elliptical and one bike. The pool was closed when we went down to use that. Our vacation for our family is pretty much ruined. The tour looked nice and we expressed our concerns with them and was promised a callback. No call either. As much as Holiday Inn had been good in the past I don’t think I’ll ever stay again after this.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My daughter is a competitive swimmer and we travel a lot, earlier this year, I booked a reservation for Holiday Inn and was offered a vacation package to Orlando Florida which I purchased for $249.00. Last week, I called the reservation office to book a trip to Las Vegas since I have the option to change location, while making my reservation. I was asked by the reservation personnel if I am married and I said yes then she told me that I need to attend a 2 hour presentation with my husband, I explained to the reservation person that my husband is in the Philippines and has been there for more than 2 years and he has no plan of coming back to the US.

I was told by the reservation person that she cannot made the reservation for me due to the fact that I cannot bring my husband with me to the presentation, I asked for a refund but was told that the vacation packaged that I purchased for $249 is not refundable, I was told to email Holiday Inn Customer Review regarding my situation which I did but my email was returned. I also emailed one of Holiday Inn's representative but did not get any response. I do not understand why I cannot make a reservation for a vacation package that I purchased, Holiday Inn is not giving me a vacation package for free, this whole thing is a SCAM so beware, don't fall into their trap and become a victim like me, now I'm down $249 which I would have use somewhere else.

Original review: July 19, 2018

We were called on 7/16/18 by a member of IHG offering my husband a trip to one of 10 locations with Holiday Inn Vacations Club. Since my husband is already a member of IHG, he was first offered a package for 4 days/3 night stay at one of the properties at a price of $249.00. After I kept declining because I was very skeptical, we were supposedly transferred from one person to another to try and get us a better deal - same package now for only $199.00. I told them to send us something in writing before we committed to the deal. Of course they could send an email confirmation once a payment was made. I went against my better judgment and fell for the scheme.

I called back to cancel the transaction the same evening only to keep being transferred to another affiliated company and person until the call was dropped by them of course. I called them back today and finally spoke to someone who told me that the package deal was 1) not at a villa or resort for the stay, but would be staying at a hotel and 2) non-refundable. I told her this is not what we were told and she tried to give some spiel that so much is said during the scheme by them that we probably missed it. I asked questions and wrote notes and none of that was ever mentioned! The rep gave me a site to go and write to Marketing Call Center at customereview@HolidayInnClub.com but I cannot find where to complain and request my refund. I want everyone to beware of this scheme and DO NOT FALL FOR IT!

Original review: July 16, 2018

I have been a member of IHG for several years and used Holiday Inn Express Motels for a long time. I received a call from Holiday Inn Vacations. I was told that Holiday Inn was "Celebrating" their 25th anniversary by offering exclusively to IHG members, discounted room rates at one of their vacation resorts. You will get 4 days and 3 nights for $199. I inquired if this was a timeshare, since I have dealt with timeshares before and was told "No", this is simply an anniversary exclusive deal, no strings attached.

Well I accepted the deal and then found out that it is a "Timeshare" and you are required to attend one of their BS 2 hour sales presentations. I was also informed after accepting the deal that it could not be cancelled. Holiday Inn will not refund the money and I have no intention of attending one their BS Sales Presentation, so I have lost my money to these SCAM arts. However I highly recommend that everyone reading this, do what I plan on doing. I WILL NEVER stay at another Holiday Inn for business or personal vacations again, they have permanently lost any future business from me or any of my employees. They claim that Holiday Inn Vacations have nothing to do with IHG, which is also BS. How would Holiday Inn Vacation have known that I was a member of IHG if they are not one in the same organization?

Original review: July 9, 2018

We had to travel to the Los Angeles area to attend my younger sister's funeral that died of MS. We looked on Hotwire and found a nice looking Holiday Inn in La Mirada. We arrived at the hotel one hour early and were told that we could not check in until three PM and not a minute earlier. I asked the front desk clerk I only had two reasonable requests. 1. Not be on the busy freeway side of the hotel, 2. we need double beds because my 30 year old son was with us to attend the funeral.

We wound up getting a single bedroom with sticky floors on the freeway side of the hotel. Holiday Inn told me Hotwire only books single bedrooms for their customers. I was furious with their answer about Hotwire. I WILL NOT BOOK ANY ROOMS ON HOTWIRE AGAIN! To make matters worse the hotel is under heavy construction and were painting the outside of the hotel with a spray gun and their paint floated down on my car in the parking lot. NEVER, NEVER USE HOTWIRE, AND AVOID THE LA MIRADA HOLIDAY INN LIKE PLAGUE.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I am a platinum elite member of the IHG Rewards Club (Crowne Plaza Hotels, etc.). Following a call to discuss booking my next stay at the Crowne Plaza I was transferred to a sales person regarding a "special offer for Platinum Elite Club Members." Turns out this was an offer to stay at one of the Holiday Inn Vacation properties for 3 nights and to hear a sales pitch on a timeshare. We were Charged $249 up front and when we arrived at the property and listened to a sales pitch for 2 hours we would be refunded the $249 plus given $100. As we had planned a trip to one of the locations anyway, we decided to take them up on this offer.

Once this trip and stay was booked months in advance, we received an invitation to a relative's wedding, so we were only going to be able to stay two nights instead of three. This was fine with us. However, the Vacation Club notified us less than two weeks before our trip that they had booked our "tour and presentation" on the day we were to leave and our flight schedules could not be changed. We were told that there was nothing that they could do, we offered to make ourselves available for the two preceding days. We were told that we would be charged "retail rates" if we stayed at their off-property hotel but didn't listen to the presentation.

Likewise, they offered to charge us an additional $59 to extend this "special offer a/k/a sales presentation" for six months. They offered no accommodation EXCEPT to not charge us a cancellation fee. Wow!! This is not a way to lure potential customers/owners to purchase a timeshare. I am only glad I found out now before I made more than a $250 investment. We canceled the trip. They may have gotten my $250, but they have forever lost my business as a frequent guest at any of the properties owned by IHG. No way to treat your best customers.

Original review: June 3, 2018

We had a lot of points. When we went to use them it said 0. Holiday Inn says they expired because of inactivity. However my husband booked a day room and paid full price during the period of time they say there is inactivity. He has the receipt. Holiday Inn says we cancelled that stay. Totally not true. We won’t stay there again.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Watch out for Holiday Inn Rochester. This hotel’s staff are irresponsible and rude behaviour of their staff. I check into this hotel 15/11/2017 at about 9.30 pm. Paid £10.00 for breakfast. The next day I became unwell. I asked if breakfast they could bring breakfast to my room. The breakfast was delivered with extra charges that was never mention, the staff was very rude telling me I should know better and shouting at me that they could not find anywhere on their books that I paid for breakfast. I was made to feel I was having breakfast that I did not pay for, the hostility and rude behaviour was unbelievable. I was treated like a criminal even after paying the extra charges.

I could not eat the breakfast at this stage. My pain became worst. I had to leave the hotel to the nearness supermarket which was ASDA to buy pain killer, before leaving the hotel I complain to the Duty Manager who told me it’s their policy not to give refund for breakfast and not their responsibility I failed to eat the breakfast. As for their staff they did not see what the staff did wrong. I stay in this hotel for 4 nights. It was given to me as a gift. I was not interested in points because I will never use them, Holiday Inn hotel not only have rude staff. They did not clean the room for four nights. I wanted the general manager Rochester to sort this problem out because of his behaviour when I complaint.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have been a member of the IHG Rewards Club for a fairly long time and most of my experiences with Holiday Inn have been good. Until this one. I'll make this short: I booked a room for one night at the Holiday Inn 300 Plaza Drive Secaucus, NJ 07094. Checked in at the counter and when I asked where to park they told me it's $20.00 to park at the Holiday Inn or I could park for free if I drove to the other side of the nearby Sheraton hotel. Nowhere does it mention you will be charged for parking in their facilities. The next time I'll just stay at the Sheraton hotel, at least they have parking. Also Holiday Inn sent me a follow up in the mail telling me that if I enjoyed my stay to please fill out one of these site reviews: www.tripadvisor.com/review (I don't want to join and they won't let you say anything unless you do) or www.ihg.com/reviews. Guess what? That site doesn't even work. All you will get is 404 NOT FOUND. So travelers beware.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Consumer beware! I was forced to make a reservation through a third party Site Search LLC. The fine print stated a 2 week notice of cancellation. I cancelled 4 days prior to my stay due to emergency as Holiday Inn has a 24 hour notice policy. I was in fact charged $148 by Holiday Inn. When I contacted the hotel directly, the they would not issue a refund and I was out the money. Lesson learned. Never do business with Site Search or IHG hotels. Hopefully IHG will review this terrible hotel reservation policy and be sensitive to urgent circumstances. NEVER STAY AT A HOLIDAY INN!

Original review: April 16, 2018

This review is for the Holiday Inn Timeshare promotion to stay 3 nights for $245 and receive it back once you finish watching the presentation. We feel like we were totally mislead with their unethical marketing strategies. We were told initially that we would stay at the Holiday Inn Vacations Resort and chose the Scottsdale location and got on a plane all the way from the East Coast thinking we would enjoy and stay in this beautiful resort that we read about and saw photos online. Once we arrive in Scottsdale we find out that we are not staying at the Resort but at a cheap Holiday Inn Express with a falling apart mattress and paper walls that prevent us from relaxing and sleeping at night.

To top that the Resort where we had to go to watch the presentation the following day was about 20 miles from the hotel they put us in and they didn’t offer any type of transportation to the Resort and they won’t give your $245 back unless you watch their presentation. We were obligated to take a cab to the Resort and ended up spending a extra $80 for transportation to the Resort. The presentation itself was nice and Ricky was extremely nice and not pushy so we had not problem with the presentation itself and the Resort seemed nice but how can you get excited about purchasing from a company that misled you horribly like that???

We went to a prior Timeshare presentation which we actually purchased the Timeshare and the reason we purchased is because they put us in their Resort and we really could enjoy their amenities and experience a little bit of what would be owning a piece of their property and didn’t feel mislead by the brand in any way. Not the case with Holiday Inn Vacations! And for us unfortunately what we thought would be this great relaxing time at their Resort was this a sleepless night and a waste of our time and money. Because we of course couldn’t stay in that cheap hotel they put us in for more than one night we had to book another hotel for the two remaining nights we were scheduled to stay in Scottsdale and we ended finding out that the Resort across the street from the Holiday Inn Resort called Fairmont is way superior and so much nicer than the Holiday Inn! They even have a beautiful golf course, there is no comparison!

I am glad we could find available accommodations but the trip ended up being way more expensive and stressful than what we thought because of Holiday Inn unethical marketing strategies and the way they mislead us. They also give you a voucher for $100 to stay in one of their hotels but of course after what they put us through we don’t want to ever stay in any of their properties ever again!!!

Original review: March 29, 2018

We reserved the room at Holiday Inn at Norwich, CT on March 24 to get the sleep we needed after a concert at Foxwoods because we live 2.5 hours away from Norwich. However, the hotel did not provide the services we paid for, which was a room we can sleep in overnight! Our intended stay did not go well even from the start. We arrived around 4:30 p.m., and the room was not ready, even though check-in is at 3 p.m. But it was when we got our room and tried to rest a little before the concert we realized that it was impossible to sleep in this room. There was an elevator near our room, making a very loud noise, almost like a plane landing every 15 to 30 seconds as the elevator went up and down. Once we realized this, we called the front desk and asked for another room. We were told there are no other rooms available.

As a result, we told the front desk we can’t stay in this room and asked for a refund. However, we were told that the hotel can’t provide a refund unless Expedia approved. When we called Expedia, they told us the hotel would have to approve. In the meantime, both Expedia and ourselves asked for the hotel Manager to talk about this issue, but told the manager was not available. Finally, we called Expedia again to cancel our reservation and that we are checking out because it is impossible to sleep in that room. We checked out and returned the keys sometime around 6 pm. Customer Service at Expedia assigned a case for our complaint but then we received an email from Expedia saying that our request for a refund was rejected by the Hotel.

We have stayed at Holiday Inn hotels in several cities many times in the past and have never had this problem before. This incidence showed us that we can never rely on the services of Holiday Inn again. It is just not an ethical business practice to charge a customer but then put them in a room which is impossible to sleep. We are both senior citizens, and this forced us to drive back home for 2.5 hours at nighttime. We believe this could be even considered a fraudulent action on the part of the Holiday Inn at Norwich. I don't think we will do business with the Expedia again either. We suspect that the Hotel is reserving the worst rooms to Expedia customers and Expedia is failing to protect the rights of their customers. It's better to pay $10-$20 more and make a reservation directly with a reliable hotel.

Original review: March 27, 2018

The staff at Mackinaw City, MI were wonderful and very helpful with any questions that I had. The room was nice and tidy. They had a nice gym room, pool and different amenities. Very nice breakfast spread with cereals and other food.

Holiday Inn expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Holiday Inn was founded in 1952 and is now an InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) brand. There are more than 1,200 Holiday Inn hotels with 228,100 rooms worldwide, making it one of the world’s largest hotel chains.

• Kids stay free: At Holiday Inns there is no charge for children under age 19 when they stay in the same room as their parents. Kids under 12 can order off the children’s menu for free at all onsite restaurants. Guests can visit the Holiday Inn website for more information.

• Pools and fitness centers: Most hotels in this chain have indoor and/or outdoor pools available for recreational or fitness activities. Guests will also likely have access to a fitness center when staying at a Holiday Inn.

• Supports small business: Holiday Inn is currently involved in IHG’s Journey to Extraordinary campaign. This year, the brand is exploring ways to help small businesses owners and entrepreneurs with business travel. They have partnered with two small businesses, Sword & Plough and Perfect 10, to learn about the small business traveler and find ways to make travel easier for that group.

• Rewards credit card: With IHG’s Rewards Club Select Credit Card cardholders earn points for every purchase they make, which can then be used for free hotel stays at any IHG hotel, including Holiday Inns. New customers can receive 70,000 bonus points when they spend at least $2,000 during the first three months they have the IHG Credit Card, which can give them as many as 14 free nights. See IHG’s website to apply.

• Smartphone app: IHG’s app makes it easy for travelers to quickly book a room at any of their brands, including Holiday Inn. The Flyertea Travel Awards named the app the Best Travel Mobile App in 2015. It is available for both Apple and Android platforms.

• Best for: Holiday Inn caters to families, business travelers and budget conscious travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs