Holiday Inn

Compare Hotel Brands

Research top Hotel Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

The room was spotless and smelled fresh and clean. The bathroom was spacious and sparkling clean. The bed linens were crisp and fresh. There was never any strange smell just the smell of a clean room like laundry freshly dried. They have a great swimming pool that is safe and family friendly. The have a workout area with modern equipment such as a treadmill. The TV was large and had many channels to watch. The rewards program is easy to earn points. Customer service is very helpful if you have questions. I earn points easily because I choose to stay at Holiday Inn whenever I travel. The people who work at the front desk are great. They will help with any questions you have. If you need extra towels or soap, they will gladly give you some promptly. If you have questions in general the toll free number is easy to get in touch with and the reps are very friendly.

There was repair and renovations taking place at the time of our stay and the room was not vacuumed very well. There was dust everywhere. We would have preferred a continental breakfast to be included with our stay, which it was not. I believe ice and a coffee maker were included in our stay. The front desk could have cared less that we were there. Very dismissive and not at all helpful. When asked how to get to our room, I was simply given a pointed finger up.

The room was clean. The sheets looked very clean, no bugs nor any funky smells. The carpets were clean, and the lobby/office was very clean as well. Well, they were average I guess. They were nice but normal. Nothing really special or extraordinary about it. They were very friendly and caring. I wish they had more staff but oh well. They met all my needs and I have no complaints whatsoever.

Bathroom was very clean but old and needed updated caulking, carpet needed a cleaning, bed sheets ok smelled clean. Price was a bit high for what you got. You had the lil free soap and shampoo in bathroom, ice bucket for ice machine, and cable TV with one premium channel. Room service was available also.Front reception was very efficient except I would have liked lower check in area since I'm so short but they get you checked in quick or a place to sit and check in would be nice.

Depending on which Holiday Inn you visit, some can be really dirty and some quite nice. The majority of my visits have been lacking in cleanliness when it comes to just about every aspect including linens, floors, bathrooms, etc. Holiday Inn generally has sufficient amenities however not compared to other hotels. They are quite basic such as microwave, simple coffee and fruit in the mornings if you make it down to the office before it's picked over. Customer service is decent. Again, this really depends on which Holiday Inn you visit as to who is working on that given day and their disposition. It's basic customer service such as "I need more towels" but nothing extravagant.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holiday Inn?

I love staying at the Holiday Inn Motels and Inns especially the ones that prepare and serve a good hot breakfast as a compliment to your overnight stay. The Holiday Inns that I've stayed at have always had great amenities. They have a fridge, coffeemaker, iron, microwave as well as a blow dryer in all of their rooms. My husband is the one that keeps up with the rewards when we get some. I'm sure it's a great program or he would not fool with it. The customer service has always been way beyond what I would expect from a brand that has been around for a very long time. The staff has always treated us with respect and been very attentive to our needs.

It was very clean and didn't have to worry that you might catch something. The room had a nice clean and fresh smell to it. The pool and exercise room was very convenient and they were well maintained and with reasonable hours. The breakfast was open at decent hours so all kinds of guests could enjoy it. The people at the front desk were always helpful and willing to answer any questions that you may have had. The housekeeping workers were very courteous and willing to help you if you needed anything.

Big clean room with swimming pool and a gym available for members, nice firm beds to sleep in. Tons of rooms. Elevator and stairs access. Lots of great amenities. Big beds, soft and firm, room service, breakfast and all the goods you can get out of it. It was my brother-in-law who bought the rooms. Probably gets points or something for free stay in the future. Really helpful staff who assist you in any way possible for the best satisfaction they can give you and anything you want and stuff. Cool.

I did not get to visit this resort. I couldn't get there with the agreement made between me and Holiday Inn Club Vacations. I agreed to speak with a representative after my last reservation with Holiday Inn and had a very pleasant explanation of the Vacations getaway program. For a mere $249 I could have a three night "memorable, fun-filled experience" at any of a number of locations. Since signing up I've been inundated with emails luring me to all the resorts they have. "Looking for another destination? No problem. There are plenty of choices", the emails kept saying. They even assign you a "VIP Guest Number."

Last week I decided on Scottsdale in January or February 2017 and called to confirm that rooms were available, and was told by a jolly young man named Matthew that they certainly were. After confirming with my travel partner the dates we wanted, I called back, on December 3rd and was told "Rooms are not available but we can upgrade you for $600+". Needless to say I went ballistic.

They promise you a fun-filled experience anywhere and do not say a thing about restrictions, until you call. Then, mysteriously, there are no rooms, unless you pay a lot more. This is scam, plain and simple. DO NOT FALL FOR IT!! I will not stay at any facility owned by this firm. I can not support an organization that scams its customers. And neither should you.

The room was fairly clean. Only this and that was a little off but usually Holiday Inns are very thorough with their cleaning in order to make their guests comfortable and happy. Some are better than others. When breakfast is included that is the best. In Chicago a hotel I stayed in had free drinks for an hour or two in the lobby. That was awesome. Very nice staff and very happy to be there. Always got what we needed since we usually had extra pillows and blankets we needed so that was nice.

Very clean beds and bathrooms, they clean the bathroom every day and change the sheets every day. They vacuum and clean the microwave. I was in the suite and they cleaned the dishes I used. The amenities in my suite were 2 HD TVs, fast wifi, a refrigerator, a microwave, a desk to put my laptop on, a single serve coffee maker and a dishwasher. Everything worked fine and looked modern. If you stay so many nights you get a free night. It's a deal available some of the time. The customer service was good. I would call and they would answer the phone quickly. I stayed a couple weeks and I ordered things from Amazon and the hotel would bring the packages up.

I would recommend to everyone. They have very clean rooms and hallways. I have never been in one I had an issue with and stay in a Holiday Inn every chance when I go away. They always have items in the bathroom which you might have forgotten at home and have anything you normally need including snacks at or near the front desk. They have always had a great rewards program and I would recommend all to join and keep using it because you never know when you may want to use for a special day get away. All the folks I have met from the front desk to the restaurant staff to housekeeping are always friendly and kind and very willing to help you out if in a pinch.

I wanted to reserve a suite over the holidays for my family. I got transferred to a salesperson who talked me into a vacation package deal for almost $2000. I called back the next day because I had never received any confirmation and my card had been charged. After being on hold for hours and going through numerous channels they discovered they had booked the package for a year out (and it was confirmed through the recording with Quality assurance that they had made the mistake) and did not have anything for the time I had requested. They assured me I was see a refund within 5 - 7 days. A week later I received a confirmation email indicating my dates were confirmed for next year. I checked my account and still there was no refund.

I called back to find out what was going on (after waiting another 2 hours on hold) and they said I still had a reservation and blamed the error on the system had a glitch and the refund had to be reapplied. They assured me my credit card would be refunded with 4 - 5 business days. We will see. Do not buy anything. Quick talkers - no refund policy. Ask to see the fine print before you pay for anything.

It has been a few years but I remember it being very clean. My room was very large and clean. The banquet room was very clean. The hotel lobby was pleasant and clean. I was comfortable with the cleanliness. I had a nice room with a TV. I do not remember a coffee machine or refrigerator or microwave. There was a pool and a so called fitness center but neither was very nice. The pool was small and soon got crowded. There were two or three machines in the so called fitness center. The hotel was right across the street from a nice shopping mall which included a Whole Foods.

This was my first time staying at a Holiday Inn and I joined IHG Rewards but I have never stayed at another one of their hotels again and my rewards have expired. There seems to be a generous rewards program. Many brands of hotels participate. So so customer service. I was attending my 50th high school reunion and other persons had organized everything. I was satisfied with the customer service but the organizers of the reunion were not. They felt they got bad service for many different reasons. Myself, I did not require very much.

They make sure everything is clean and fresh. New towels and bed sheets. They also have staff that will be there if you need anything or encounter any problems. They offers all amenities you need. They include a pool if you're out in the sun and need a cool off and free breakfast in the morning. I don't have any rewards cards. But I'm sure it's great because these hotels are my favorite to stay at. Everyone should get rewards eventually because you get awesome discounts. They have the best customer service. But it really depends on which Holiday Inn you go to. The ones I stay are usually the ones that have good knowledgeable staff.

The staff was amazing. I was on the 5th floor, I asked for more towels. The elevator was being really slow, so the housekeeper literally RAN up the stairs to bring the towels. She was so sweet and wonderful. She even declined the tip we tried to offer for her amazing efforts. Had everything we needed. We were thoroughly satisfied with everything that was offered. There wasn't anything that we were missing. The hotel was completely satisfactory. I used to be enrolled in the rewards program, but I let my account go for about a decade without any activity or logging in, so I'm pretty sure I don't have an account any more, but I just feel like it would be a hassle at this point to try to reactivate it. We had a great experience with customer service. They were very helpful with everything we needed and helped us quickly every time we needed some help.

Bathroom smelled like someone just went and it was hot and steamy in there but otherwise good. I'd stay again but bring air freshener the rest of the stay and room was very satisfactory though. It was a good gym. It had a computer and coffee pot, a pool and iron. It was very useful in many ways. I would stay again. I just wish they had a small area for the kids to do something like a small water park or playground. I don't have a rewards program with them and to my knowledge I'm not even aware that one ID's available through this company but I would not mind trying it if there was one available. It was good. I have no complaints. It didn't take too long or anything and no one was rude but I didn't have that much interaction with anyone. I stayed there and that's about it.

We got clean towels 3 times a day and the linen was changed every morning. The bathroom was always very clean. We had extra soap and other condiments that we ask for. Very good - everything was well stocked and always on time with whatever we ask for. I love this place and the staff was so good always so friendly. The rewards program is the reason we went back to stay - every time we got rewards we were so happy. They always came at the right time and we had enough grace period to use the reward. Customer service was so awesome. They answered all of my questions and explained everything word for word they even did a follow up to make sure we were ok and if there was anything else we needed.

The place overall was ok but it had an odor maybe it was the carpet. Other than that everything was perfect. I feel that even small hotels should be fancy and worth what you pay for it. The amenities were ok - could have been better. Only thing available was the pool. Would have been cool if they had a computer room. It would be nice if they had a basketball court. I wasn't aware of any type of rewards program. So far that reason I feel wasn't fair because I wasn't provided with any information about any such thing. The customer service was excellent. The staff was very friendly. They even showed me where my room was located. They even told me if I needed anything not to hesitate.

The hotel was very clean and tidy. I had a wonderful time here... each area of the hotel was very neat and clean. I am very happy with the service and will recommend it to others as well. There were good amenities here: good room, good lobby, gym, swimming pool and others. The reward program was very unique and cool... great job done by them. Customer service was great. The staff were very polite and helpful and were very patient too.

It was not the cleanest room we have ever stayed in. The shower in the bathroom had some hair in it, but otherwise the room was acceptable in terms of cleanliness. There were two queen size beds in our room as well as a miniature refrigerator. The bathroom included towels and a stand-up shower. There was a television as well with a normal array of channels available for viewing. We honestly have not stayed at Holiday Inn hotels enough to utilize their rewards program to the fullest. If we were to stay there again I would be sure to check out the program. The people I chatted with on the phone to arrange our stay were very helpful in choosing the size of the room we needed and giving me prices for the days we would be staying there.

The room was very spotless and clean and there were not any spots on the rug or the bedrooms or the bathrooms. No bugs, no dust particles. Had everything we could have ever asked for - ice machine, vending machine, free breakfast. It was absolutely treat including a pool and workout area. There wasn't a rewards program offered to us at the time of the stay but we eventually did find out about it. The receptionist was new and had no idea about the rewards program. Customer service was very helpful including help with local attractions and things to in the area. Very helpful with restaurants and attractions as well.

The rooms were completely immaculate. You could tell that housekeeping and rest of the staff took pride in their hotel and in their jobs. Could never have been able to tell that anyone could have stayed there before me. After accidentally overbooking the rooms at the hotel. They kindly gave us a king suite. We paid the exact money for this room and it included enough space for more than 6 people to sleep! As well as a wonderful little kitchenette for our leftovers and morning coffee. And holy spacious bathrooms!

I was able to register at no cost to myself. And I receive points for every stay at one of their participating locations. Rewards and points can be used toward room upgrades and amenities. Extremely professional and customer service oriented. Made us feel like we were home in an unfamiliar town. Offering recommendations for local restaurants and local sightseeing.

Everything seemed to be clean and where it should be. I didn't feel grossed out at all and I was satisfied with the way the room smelled and looked. Everything was good. I just wish the gym area and the pool was a little bigger. As soon as someone else came in, it felt uncomfortable. I don't use the rewards program so I can't really give my opinion on this one. However I am open to doing some research and if I like the rewards and options offered, I would definitely consider signing up for it. The people that helped me were all very nice and polite. I had no problems or complaints about any of the people that worked there. I felt like a valued customer which is important to me when it comes to hotels and anywhere where I'm staying overnight.

They did a great job cleaning the hotel room and making sure there were clean and FRESH sheets on the bed. I found the bathroom to be great not perfect. They had a 24 hour gym that was available. They did have a pool that was usable since it was summer and it was outside. The Parking was Free. Checking in and checking out was a FAST process. I had no issues. Housekeeping was nice and polite. I had no issues with any employees staffed.

There was only one that I stayed at that was pretty gross. The pool looked dirty. There is one we stay at in Ohio when we visit my grandparents and we love it. Normally have plenty of amenities. Love the breakfast. Perfect for the kids and it's always ready to go. There are options for everyone. They always seem to have an indoor pool which is nice. My dad did slip and hurt himself at one. There was no traction when you enter the pool. I have never had trouble with any rude employees. Everyone has always seemed pleasant. The only people who seem really down are the breakfast attendants.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I recently booked a "Book Early and Save" room in Asheville, NC for three nights (cost $461). For family health reasons, I cancelled my reservation over a week ahead of my trip. The rate was only $15 dollars lower than other options, but I guess I glossed over the fine print. It turns out that they get to keep your money no matter when you cancel... NO REFUNDS FOR ANY REASON. I could understand a cancellation penalty (maybe? or the $45 extra I would have paid to have the "right" to cancel as late as the day of travel?), but claiming the entire amount seems fraudulent and unethical. They just keep pointing back to the small print. I get it; I checked the box. This is a pretty ridiculous policy and upon further internet research it has been a problem for a lot of folks for years. And they keep getting away with it! I do not plan to stay at a Holiday Inn or any of the associated IHG hotels in the future. Certainly will never use their site to book reservations.

Our room was very clean and welcoming. The bathroom was well stocked and clean and the bed area was well made and very clean. We came here late at night after leaving another hotel that was not fit to stay in and the Holiday Inn was here for us when we needed them. There was free Wi-Fi included in the stay. There was plenty of soap, shampoos and towels in the bathroom. There was a nice hot breakfast included. The desk clerk was very courteous and helpful. It was late night/early morning when we checked in and the desk clerk made sure we had a nice room and called our room to make sure everything was ok.

I never stayed but ultimately very bad experience. It looks good in pictures. We never stayed there, I would choose not to. I made reservation with this hotel and overlooked the cancellation policy as I never encountered any kind of particular cancellation policy especially Holiday Inn. Ultimately I am losing my 427 USD as we couldn't make it to the hotel. Even after cancellation they had 35 days of time to sell my reservation to anyone, they choose not to return my money as they made excuse that the room given to me was special rate (It was never best rate and 3 nights $427, they consider special rate). Despite of calls and email requests and calling to credit card company, they are adamant not to return any penny. They offered me to save my funds for next 6 months. I am living in USA and it's not frequent or easy to visit Canada every now and then. They acted smartly, knowing there are least chances I would be able to utilize funds.

My fault is, in confidence I overlooked their policy and trapped and losing money. Upon request they do not have goodwill gesture. They are showing all papers of screenshots and other things to my credit card company just to prove they had really good policy to trap customers like me. There is nothing we can do to recover money back. So they are showing everything about policy and forfeiture of funds.

Arrived after a flight of 26 hours, exhausted (along with family) well past midnight. We were met by a lady who asked us to sign on inflated amount than what was mentioned in Booking.com receipt. I pointed out to her the discrepancy and she said that they were incidental charges and would be adjusted at time of checkout. I didn't argue with her as I have used the services of Booking.com and never had a problem. The stay was fine till I met SIERRA at front desk at time of checkout on 3 September morning. She doesn't deserve to be at front desk. All my efforts to explain her went in vain and it appeared she was doing a favor to me by having given me free breakfast and internet.

I asked to meet the manager, who hadn't arrived at that time so I went ahead with my daughter's admission in university with an extremely bad mood. After coming back gentleman Ammar was quite helpful explained the fine print which in fact turned out to be in my favor as my kids are less than 18. At end I paid what was I had booked thru Booking.com but after a bad experience, which you don't want while traveling. I'm in room no. 312, extended my stay by a day. In case you want any clarification please feel free to contact me.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Holiday Inn was founded in 1952 and is now an InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) brand. There are more than 1,200 Holiday Inn hotels with 228,100 rooms worldwide, making it one of the world’s largest hotel chains.

• Kids stay free: At Holiday Inns there is no charge for children under age 19 when they stay in the same room as their parents. Kids under 12 can order off the children’s menu for free at all onsite restaurants. Guests can visit the Holiday Inn website for more information.
  • Pools and fitness centers: Most hotels in this chain have indoor and/or outdoor pools available for recreational or fitness activities. Guests will also likely have access to a fitness center when staying at a Holiday Inn.
  • Supports small business: Holiday Inn is currently involved in IHG’s Journey to Extraordinary campaign. This year, the brand is exploring ways to help small businesses owners and entrepreneurs with business travel. They have partnered with two small businesses, Sword & Plough and Perfect 10, to learn about the small business traveler and find ways to make travel easier for that group.
  • Rewards credit card: With IHG’s Rewards Club Select Credit Card cardholders earn points for every purchase they make, which can then be used for free hotel stays at any IHG hotel, including Holiday Inns. New customers can receive 70,000 bonus points when they spend at least $2,000 during the first three months they have the IHG Credit Card, which can give them as many as 14 free nights. See IHG’s website to apply.
  • Smartphone app: IHG’s app makes it easy for travelers to quickly book a room at any of their brands, including Holiday Inn. The Flyertea Travel Awards named the app the Best Travel Mobile App in 2015. It is available for both Apple and Android platforms.
  • Best for Holiday Inn caters to families, business travelers and budget conscious travelers.

Compare Hotel Brands