Holiday Inn

Compare Hotel Brands

Research top Hotel Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Big clean room with swimming pool and a gym available for members, nice firm beds to sleep in. Tons of rooms. Elevator and stairs access. Lots of great amenities. Big beds, soft and firm, room service, breakfast and all the goods you can get out of it. It was my brother-in-law who bought the rooms. Probably gets points or something for free stay in the future. Really helpful staff who assist you in any way possible for the best satisfaction they can give you and anything you want and stuff. Cool.

I would recommend to everyone. They have very clean rooms and hallways. I have never been in one I had an issue with and stay in a Holiday Inn every chance when I go away. They always have items in the bathroom which you might have forgotten at home and have anything you normally need including snacks at or near the front desk. They have always had a great rewards program and I would recommend all to join and keep using it because you never know when you may want to use for a special day get away. All the folks I have met from the front desk to the restaurant staff to housekeeping are always friendly and kind and very willing to help you out if in a pinch.

I wanted to reserve a suite over the holidays for my family. I got transferred to a salesperson who talked me into a vacation package deal for almost $2000. I called back the next day because I had never received any confirmation and my card had been charged. After being on hold for hours and going through numerous channels they discovered they had booked the package for a year out (and it was confirmed through the recording with Quality assurance that they had made the mistake) and did not have anything for the time I had requested. They assured me I was see a refund within 5 - 7 days. A week later I received a confirmation email indicating my dates were confirmed for next year. I checked my account and still there was no refund.

I called back to find out what was going on (after waiting another 2 hours on hold) and they said I still had a reservation and blamed the error on the system had a glitch and the refund had to be reapplied. They assured me my credit card would be refunded with 4 - 5 business days. We will see. Do not buy anything. Quick talkers - no refund policy. Ask to see the fine print before you pay for anything.

It has been a few years but I remember it being very clean. My room was very large and clean. The banquet room was very clean. The hotel lobby was pleasant and clean. I was comfortable with the cleanliness. I had a nice room with a TV. I do not remember a coffee machine or refrigerator or microwave. There was a pool and a so called fitness center but neither was very nice. The pool was small and soon got crowded. There were two or three machines in the so called fitness center. The hotel was right across the street from a nice shopping mall which included a Whole Foods.

This was my first time staying at a Holiday Inn and I joined IHG Rewards but I have never stayed at another one of their hotels again and my rewards have expired. There seems to be a generous rewards program. Many brands of hotels participate. So so customer service. I was attending my 50th high school reunion and other persons had organized everything. I was satisfied with the customer service but the organizers of the reunion were not. They felt they got bad service for many different reasons. Myself, I did not require very much.

They make sure everything is clean and fresh. New towels and bed sheets. They also have staff that will be there if you need anything or encounter any problems. They offers all amenities you need. They include a pool if you're out in the sun and need a cool off and free breakfast in the morning. I don't have any rewards cards. But I'm sure it's great because these hotels are my favorite to stay at. Everyone should get rewards eventually because you get awesome discounts. They have the best customer service. But it really depends on which Holiday Inn you go to. The ones I stay are usually the ones that have good knowledgeable staff.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holiday Inn?

The staff was amazing. I was on the 5th floor, I asked for more towels. The elevator was being really slow, so the housekeeper literally RAN up the stairs to bring the towels. She was so sweet and wonderful. She even declined the tip we tried to offer for her amazing efforts. Had everything we needed. We were thoroughly satisfied with everything that was offered. There wasn't anything that we were missing. The hotel was completely satisfactory. I used to be enrolled in the rewards program, but I let my account go for about a decade without any activity or logging in, so I'm pretty sure I don't have an account any more, but I just feel like it would be a hassle at this point to try to reactivate it. We had a great experience with customer service. They were very helpful with everything we needed and helped us quickly every time we needed some help.

We got clean towels 3 times a day and the linen was changed every morning. The bathroom was always very clean. We had extra soap and other condiments that we ask for. Very good - everything was well stocked and always on time with whatever we ask for. I love this place and the staff was so good always so friendly. The rewards program is the reason we went back to stay - every time we got rewards we were so happy. They always came at the right time and we had enough grace period to use the reward. Customer service was so awesome. They answered all of my questions and explained everything word for word they even did a follow up to make sure we were ok and if there was anything else we needed.

The place overall was ok but it had an odor maybe it was the carpet. Other than that everything was perfect. I feel that even small hotels should be fancy and worth what you pay for it. The amenities were ok - could have been better. Only thing available was the pool. Would have been cool if they had a computer room. It would be nice if they had a basketball court. I wasn't aware of any type of rewards program. So far that reason I feel wasn't fair because I wasn't provided with any information about any such thing. The customer service was excellent. The staff was very friendly. They even showed me where my room was located. They even told me if I needed anything not to hesitate.

The hotel was very clean and tidy. I had a wonderful time here... each area of the hotel was very neat and clean. I am very happy with the service and will recommend it to others as well. There were good amenities here: good room, good lobby, gym, swimming pool and others. The reward program was very unique and cool... great job done by them. Customer service was great. The staff were very polite and helpful and were very patient too.

It was not the cleanest room we have ever stayed in. The shower in the bathroom had some hair in it, but otherwise the room was acceptable in terms of cleanliness. There were two queen size beds in our room as well as a miniature refrigerator. The bathroom included towels and a stand-up shower. There was a television as well with a normal array of channels available for viewing. We honestly have not stayed at Holiday Inn hotels enough to utilize their rewards program to the fullest. If we were to stay there again I would be sure to check out the program. The people I chatted with on the phone to arrange our stay were very helpful in choosing the size of the room we needed and giving me prices for the days we would be staying there.

The room was very spotless and clean and there were not any spots on the rug or the bedrooms or the bathrooms. No bugs, no dust particles. Had everything we could have ever asked for - ice machine, vending machine, free breakfast. It was absolutely treat including a pool and workout area. There wasn't a rewards program offered to us at the time of the stay but we eventually did find out about it. The receptionist was new and had no idea about the rewards program. Customer service was very helpful including help with local attractions and things to in the area. Very helpful with restaurants and attractions as well.

The rooms were completely immaculate. You could tell that housekeeping and rest of the staff took pride in their hotel and in their jobs. Could never have been able to tell that anyone could have stayed there before me. After accidentally overbooking the rooms at the hotel. They kindly gave us a king suite. We paid the exact money for this room and it included enough space for more than 6 people to sleep! As well as a wonderful little kitchenette for our leftovers and morning coffee. And holy spacious bathrooms!

I was able to register at no cost to myself. And I receive points for every stay at one of their participating locations. Rewards and points can be used toward room upgrades and amenities. Extremely professional and customer service oriented. Made us feel like we were home in an unfamiliar town. Offering recommendations for local restaurants and local sightseeing.

Everything seemed to be clean and where it should be. I didn't feel grossed out at all and I was satisfied with the way the room smelled and looked. Everything was good. I just wish the gym area and the pool was a little bigger. As soon as someone else came in, it felt uncomfortable. I don't use the rewards program so I can't really give my opinion on this one. However I am open to doing some research and if I like the rewards and options offered, I would definitely consider signing up for it. The people that helped me were all very nice and polite. I had no problems or complaints about any of the people that worked there. I felt like a valued customer which is important to me when it comes to hotels and anywhere where I'm staying overnight.

They did a great job cleaning the hotel room and making sure there were clean and FRESH sheets on the bed. I found the bathroom to be great not perfect. They had a 24 hour gym that was available. They did have a pool that was usable since it was summer and it was outside. The Parking was Free. Checking in and checking out was a FAST process. I had no issues. Housekeeping was nice and polite. I had no issues with any employees staffed.

There was only one that I stayed at that was pretty gross. The pool looked dirty. There is one we stay at in Ohio when we visit my grandparents and we love it. Normally have plenty of amenities. Love the breakfast. Perfect for the kids and it's always ready to go. There are options for everyone. They always seem to have an indoor pool which is nice. My dad did slip and hurt himself at one. There was no traction when you enter the pool. I have never had trouble with any rude employees. Everyone has always seemed pleasant. The only people who seem really down are the breakfast attendants.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I recently booked a "Book Early and Save" room in Asheville, NC for three nights (cost $461). For family health reasons, I cancelled my reservation over a week ahead of my trip. The rate was only $15 dollars lower than other options, but I guess I glossed over the fine print. It turns out that they get to keep your money no matter when you cancel... NO REFUNDS FOR ANY REASON. I could understand a cancellation penalty (maybe? or the $45 extra I would have paid to have the "right" to cancel as late as the day of travel?), but claiming the entire amount seems fraudulent and unethical. They just keep pointing back to the small print. I get it; I checked the box. This is a pretty ridiculous policy and upon further internet research it has been a problem for a lot of folks for years. And they keep getting away with it! I do not plan to stay at a Holiday Inn or any of the associated IHG hotels in the future. Certainly will never use their site to book reservations.

Our room was very clean and welcoming. The bathroom was well stocked and clean and the bed area was well made and very clean. We came here late at night after leaving another hotel that was not fit to stay in and the Holiday Inn was here for us when we needed them. There was free Wi-Fi included in the stay. There was plenty of soap, shampoos and towels in the bathroom. There was a nice hot breakfast included. The desk clerk was very courteous and helpful. It was late night/early morning when we checked in and the desk clerk made sure we had a nice room and called our room to make sure everything was ok.

I never stayed but ultimately very bad experience. It looks good in pictures. We never stayed there, I would choose not to. I made reservation with this hotel and overlooked the cancellation policy as I never encountered any kind of particular cancellation policy especially Holiday Inn. Ultimately I am losing my 427 USD as we couldn't make it to the hotel. Even after cancellation they had 35 days of time to sell my reservation to anyone, they choose not to return my money as they made excuse that the room given to me was special rate (It was never best rate and 3 nights $427, they consider special rate). Despite of calls and email requests and calling to credit card company, they are adamant not to return any penny. They offered me to save my funds for next 6 months. I am living in USA and it's not frequent or easy to visit Canada every now and then. They acted smartly, knowing there are least chances I would be able to utilize funds.

My fault is, in confidence I overlooked their policy and trapped and losing money. Upon request they do not have goodwill gesture. They are showing all papers of screenshots and other things to my credit card company just to prove they had really good policy to trap customers like me. There is nothing we can do to recover money back. So they are showing everything about policy and forfeiture of funds.

Arrived after a flight of 26 hours, exhausted (along with family) well past midnight. We were met by a lady who asked us to sign on inflated amount than what was mentioned in Booking.com receipt. I pointed out to her the discrepancy and she said that they were incidental charges and would be adjusted at time of checkout. I didn't argue with her as I have used the services of Booking.com and never had a problem. The stay was fine till I met SIERRA at front desk at time of checkout on 3 September morning. She doesn't deserve to be at front desk. All my efforts to explain her went in vain and it appeared she was doing a favor to me by having given me free breakfast and internet.

I asked to meet the manager, who hadn't arrived at that time so I went ahead with my daughter's admission in university with an extremely bad mood. After coming back gentleman Ammar was quite helpful explained the fine print which in fact turned out to be in my favor as my kids are less than 18. At end I paid what was I had booked thru Booking.com but after a bad experience, which you don't want while traveling. I'm in room no. 312, extended my stay by a day. In case you want any clarification please feel free to contact me.

I would not even give these people a star, but I had to give them something. I was offered a trip to Las Vegas on 8/11/16 - 8/14/16 to visit their property. The gentleman (and I do use that term only because I trying to be half way nice) set my reservations at the Stratosphere, and told me that it was walking distance from the resort. At the Stratosphere, they put me up in the Old not remodeled part, and if I wanted to upgrade my room it would have cost me an additional $60+.

After a $20.00+ taxi ride (almost 3 miles in the 115 degree weather) I was shuttled to the "meeting" place. Where it took about 30 minutes before somebody came and talked to me. The young lady that I talked to was nice at first, Julie was her name I believe. After a 2 hour presentation, it seemed like a tag team of hard core sales tactics. When I did not buy, I was given my little gifts. And was told to walk down the stairs, and could leave their property. Not knowing where I was, I asked one of the sales person how to leave, and he rudely pointed in a direction, "the front is that way". I refused to walk to the front, so I found the office, and asked for a shuttle to the front. That took 45 minutes for one to show up. When I was let go at the front, I asked how to catch a cab, and then was told that there were hotels nearby, or the bus was just up the street. I walked nearly a mile to the next hotel, and grabbed a cab from there. Did I mentioned it was 115 degrees that day?

After I got back home I received a email from Megan ** stating that they had been trying to reach me regarding my experience. I do not know how, because that was the first email I received, and my phone never rang. I informed Megan that, and that I would be available on Friday, after 1 pm PST. Never received a call after she promised. Without going on about the bad taste these nonprofessionals Snake Oil Sales Reps left me with. I would never buy or stay in another Holiday Inn as long as I live.

Holiday Inn, Powell, TN. Had three reservations, canceled one in a timely fashion. Was still billed for two days of room use! Took five phone calls, a call to my bank to stop action on payment to get corrective action. Tried to connect with the GM but he was always too busy. Others who arrived in our party with confirmation number in hand were met with resistance at the front desk at check in.

My husband and I stayed at this Holiday Inn recently. We usually stay at Holiday Inns. All was okay except we didn't realize they allowed smoking by the pool and in other areas around the pool. We would not stay there again.

My wife and I purchased a Holiday Inn Club Vacations package on October 19, 2015, in Gatlinburg TN. From the time we received our membership number which is weeks after the right of rescission expires, our experience has been a disappointment. No one has provided a solution to our problem which is this: during the sales presentation of 10/19/15 performed by James ** and later Case **, we made it very clear that most of our travel would involve off peak season ski trips and international travel, mostly non Holiday Inn Club Resort locations. We were assured that there were many properties available all over the world through the partner programs, that we could access readily.

As of the end of November 2015 we have looked for 6 different locations in 4 countries and on 3 continents within a 4-11 month booking window and we have not found a single property that has availability on the dates we have chosen. We on the other hand have gone direct, not using the Holiday Inn Club Vacations program, and have been successful finding availability at all locations on the dates requested. After being told scheduling our 2016 ski trip in November of 2015 was not a reasonable expectation. We then searched 18 ski properties via the Holiday Inn Vacation program for the 2017 ski season and found no availability for the entire month of March in any of our desired locations.

To date no one at Holiday Inn Club Vacations has had the integrity to admit this program is not providing the service intended for our vacationing parameters. We were clear in our statements on the types and locations of our preferred vacation destinations. Now we learn that Holiday Inn Club Vacations cannot provide us with what we were told was accessible. We have been told our vacation requests are unreasonable and we should just use the program, and we will like it.

We purchased this program to make our vacation planning less complex. Our experience so far has been nothing but frustration and disappointment. We can honestly say that we have never had greater difficulty in attempting to plan a vacation, and we are seasoned international travelers. Given the significant financial investment, this situation is simply not acceptable. We have been fighting with them since November 2015 and it's now February 24, 2016 and we continue to get the response from Holiday Inn Club Vacations that our expectations are not reasonable. We continue to fight to resolve this relationship. BUYER BEWARE.

We have yet to come across more unhelpful and devious lobby staff. On arrival, we were told that the complimentary shuttle to airport at 6.30/7.00 am was all booked up. She suggested that we take the 7.30 am shuttle. When we told her repeatedly that our flight was at 8.30 am, she assured us many times that for a domestic flight 1 hour was sufficient. She refused to accommodate us on an earlier shuttle even though we found out that those booked earlier had much later flights. Fortunately, we did not listen to her and took a taxi and arrived well on time.

At the airport there were huge queues and it took us almost 1 hour to get through all the formalities. Had we listened to her we would have missed our flight and our ongoing tours from Ushuaia. We had paid for our breakfast in advance. We pleaded with her to let us into the dining hall just 5 minutes before 7.00 am to collect some breakfast to carry along with us. She refused. Firstly, most hotels open their dining room at 6 or 6.30 am. We know because we have traveled around the world these past 25 years. This is the only one among thousands of hotels that open at 7 am. Is this a way to dupe people out of their paid breakfast?? We have nothing against the Holiday Inn Chain and have stayed in many countries, but definitely the ownership here has to change.

Stayed three nights. The first night was $91 plus all the other fees they throw in. I thought you got free breakfast but you don't. You have to get a room that cost $112.00 a night to rate free breakfast. The server for breakfast was nice but obviously distracted by texting. Cream with the coffee no sugar. No salt and pepper shakers on the table. I ask for a glass of water when I ordered coffee and had to ask again. The vending machines take your money or do not work. Drinks in the machine $1.25. Since the vending machines don't work you have to buy them in the lobby store. $2.50 for 20 coke. Almost $4.00 to use the ATM machine. I extended my stay and housekeeping got around to me about 1:00 pm and was confused why I was still in the room. Luckily I speak Spanish to explain to her. She was very nice. Too many cons and not enough pros. I do not recommend this hotel.

Holiday Inn Dumas, Tx - Really hasn't much to do with a stay, it has to do with how the "manager" treats the employees. It's noticeable that a couple of the employees are the ones doing 99% of the work, even the manager's job. Some of the employees go beyond the duty of helping customers and some are just lazy. I feel if one or two of the employees are going to be doing most of the work, give them a raise and find a new manager.

I reserved a room for December 19, 2015. The hotel pre-authorized my card for the amount of the room $252.81 the day before, on the 18th. No problem there. When I checked in, they swiped my card for $50 citing incidentals and it would be refunded after checkout. Around 3am Sunday, they charged my card 250.00. Before I checked out, I looked at my bank account again and noticed they charged my card $254.81, while all of the other charges are still deducted from my balance. Before I arrived back to Baltimore on Sunday, my card was charged AGAIN for 304.81.

The hotel is still taking no accountability, blaming the bank. The bank wouldn't have these amounts if someone wasn't entering them. So, yesterday 12/22/15 two of the charges were reversed, BUT today I checked my account again and they charged me $272.19. For a one night stay of $254.81, I was charged $1334.62 a few days before Christmas and the only response I've gotten was the pending charges will drop off on the 31st. It took them less than 24 hours to take all of this unauthorized money, and I have to wait until 12 days to get it back?? Unacceptable!

The Holiday Inn owner should be ashamed of himself paying 4 dollars and change per room for the house keeping per room not by the hour also, still you have undocumented employees you still don't have enough money to pay by the hour then you have the nerve to not give the Christmas bonus. Some of your employees' kids will go without because of you so shame on the owners of Holiday Inn for giving your hard working employees a piss poor christmas

Do not believe in the "Best Price Guarantee" claim that is made when booking through an IHG hotel. I recently booked a room at the above stated hotel directly through the IHG Holiday Inn website for $144/night (plus tax). I then right after found a better rate via Trivago through Amoma.com for $66/night (plus tax). I went through the process of submitting the Best Price Guarantee form and did not hear anything for about 36 hours (which they say you will hear back within 24 hours). The response I finally received was quite ridiculous. In that they admit the pricing is that much better, however due to the cancellation policy through the hotel being 5 days longer than that of Amoma, they are considered "incomparable". I understand that this may be their legal way of getting out of the "Best Price Guarantee" claim by saying that the cancellation policy isn't exactly the same, however this practice is absolutely terrible for customer satisfaction.

So apparently being "more restrictive" by only allowing an un-penalized cancellation up to 6 days prior to travel versus 1 day makes it warranted to charge $78 more per night of the visit. This is a sham of a guarantee and a cold tactic for any business to use. Furthermore, I received an additional email from their department later that day for a separate request. However it was not regarding anything that had to do with me or my reservation. It was for a different customer, hotel and request all together. One that I did not submit or have anything to do with. Nonetheless, in this email of another denied "best price guarantee" request, IHG claims that there are significant differences in a cancellation policy and again is incomparable.

Again in this instance it seems as though IHG and their "Best Price Guarantee" will find any difference even semantically to deny a claim request. This might be some of the worst customer satisfaction tactics I've ever seen. I urge anyone that reads this, do not believe in their "Best Price Guarantee" claim! Simply book with another 3rd party website or hotel group because this one surely doesn't hold customer satisfaction with any high regards.

My family and I got to the Holiday Inn hotel to check in. My husband has had brain injury. My husband was tired and as we were checking in they told me that we had to give them a two hundred deposit on the rooms. My husband and I could not see why and my husband fed they were trying to take more money from us. My husband got mad, went off on them. They refused to serve us even after I explained to them he was disabled and why. They did not call police or anything. We had to get another hotel. We finally got a room at around 7 or 8 PM. My husband, my son, my daughter, my granddaughter of 11/2. We're beat. The new hotel was wonderful. This was the worst times I have had because Holiday Inn is not disabled friendly. There are children with tree that do the same as my husband. This is not right.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Holiday Inn was founded in 1952 and is now an InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) brand. There are more than 1,200 Holiday Inn hotels with 228,100 rooms worldwide, making it one of the world’s largest hotel chains.

• Kids stay free: At Holiday Inns there is no charge for children under age 19 when they stay in the same room as their parents. Kids under 12 can order off the children’s menu for free at all onsite restaurants. Guests can visit the Holiday Inn website for more information.
  • Pools and fitness centers: Most hotels in this chain have indoor and/or outdoor pools available for recreational or fitness activities. Guests will also likely have access to a fitness center when staying at a Holiday Inn.
  • Supports small business: Holiday Inn is currently involved in IHG’s Journey to Extraordinary campaign. This year, the brand is exploring ways to help small businesses owners and entrepreneurs with business travel. They have partnered with two small businesses, Sword & Plough and Perfect 10, to learn about the small business traveler and find ways to make travel easier for that group.
  • Rewards credit card: With IHG’s Rewards Club Select Credit Card cardholders earn points for every purchase they make, which can then be used for free hotel stays at any IHG hotel, including Holiday Inns. New customers can receive 70,000 bonus points when they spend at least $2,000 during the first three months they have the IHG Credit Card, which can give them as many as 14 free nights. See IHG’s website to apply.
  • Smartphone app: IHG’s app makes it easy for travelers to quickly book a room at any of their brands, including Holiday Inn. The Flyertea Travel Awards named the app the Best Travel Mobile App in 2015. It is available for both Apple and Android platforms.
  • Best for Holiday Inn caters to families, business travelers and budget conscious travelers.

Compare Hotel Brands