3.7/5 (772 ratings)

About Holiday Inn

Holiday Inn Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holiday Inn ?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holiday Inn?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2022

If you get an offer from anyone, connected to Holiday Inn Club Vacations, keep on walking. I have long utilized Holiday Inn as one of my choices for work travel. Over the years, we had been successful in declining their timeshare offers that did not work for our family. When we got the opportunity for a mini vacation to Lake Tahoe in 2022, we jumped on it, as we were happy to have the opportunity to travel again post-pandemic.

Upon arrival, we were told we needed to attend a 1-hour presentation which turned into a hard-core sales pitch. Then came, what equates to a shell game, with a fast-talking Salesman and his Manager who introduced us to the following series of LIES. 1.) A “foreclosed” unit, cheaper than the other available units. 2.) It would increase in value, and we could sell it at a profit in the future. 3.) HICV Resorts are PRIVATE and only accessible to Owners. 4.) We would have special access to Disney Resorts and Theme Parks. Somehow, we ended up purchasing.

We walked out of there feeling like we were just taken advantage of, and we didn’t feel it was a pleasant experience. A few days later, we decided we should cancel immediately. We called the Tahoe team; it was THEN that they informed us we were too late and only had 5-days to legally cancel. They never told us, and it wasn’t until I scoured the contract and found it on page 25 of a 72-page contract that they completely glossed over. We have also come to realize that when they took our driver’s licenses, they ran an unauthorized credit check. We have never used the timeshare and based on the lack of availability and the thousands of reviews online complaining about lack of availability, we doubt we’ll ever get a reservation. We are FURIOUS!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

When we were visiting Florida, we became victims of a timeshare scam. I hope this serves as a warning to everyone reading this. Holiday Inn Club Vacations is a scam, and they are taking advantage of innocent people to buy their timeshares by promising cheap vacations, travel savings, even ways to generate income! It's rubbish! Even when they upgrade, the timeshares are not worth the ridiculous price you end up paying.

In the sales talk, they are extremely pushy and last a very long time. When you are exhausted and tired, they start with the lies and high pressure for you to buy! They sold us the timeshare as an "investment" like actual real estate. They made it seem like what they were offering us, was only available at that time, and pretty much forced us into a hasty decision under false promises. They did not clearly explain all the costs associated with the property. Very deceitful and cunning. Worst of all, you don't need to be an "owner" to reserve a timeshare, you can stay in their resorts without being an "owner". Stay away from Holiday Inn Club Vacations, they are nothing but a scam. I hope the authorities investigate what they are doing when they sell this crap to people. They don't deserve a single star! Give me my money back!!!

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

Holiday Inn Vacation Club’s despicable behavior has left us speechless. One would think that turning down a $400.00 per month obligation would not land us with an even bigger bill, but it has. When we turned down the first offer, they asked us what we could afford. That led to HIVC to offer us a small package that required a 1.4k down payment – to which we again declined. So, again, they continued with very, very irresponsible practices that just must be illegal.

They simply omitted telling us about the… credit card they opened with a 29.99% interest rate without telling us, just to get the down payment:
    forever rising maintenance costs
    total interest amounts (truth in lending)

legal rights related to a recession

Overall, we were greatly misled regarding this purchase. If ANY of the financial details were shared with us, or even highlighted during the contract signing, we wouldn’t have made this awful decision. We requested time to think about making this purchase but were told that the deal would only last for a short period of time. They are simply high-pressure salesman who could not care less about lying to John Q Public.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

After 2 years of ownership, over $7500 in mortgage payments, and $2000 in maintenance, and never being able to book a vacation, we have not been provided any satisfaction for our hard-earned money. We are upset with ourselves for falling for the sales pitch. This was sold to us as a real estate investment and would increase in value. It is much like a car, as soon as you walk out the door, the value decreases. We were told this is a private and exclusive ownership with the Holiday Inn Resorts, yet anyone can go online and book a room. Availability is non-existent, we have not been able to secure a reservation of any kind. I would not recommend Holiday Inn to my worst enemy, well actually...I might!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

Sneaky and dishonest are the words that come to mind when I think about the experience I’ve had with HICV. When they took over Silverleaf, they used it as an opportunity to get me to upgrade my timeshare for “more access”. Nothing that was offered ever came true. The biggest irritation is that salespeople convinced my husband and I that we’d make money with a HICV timeshare, but all it’s done is cost us money- including the $900 fee we paid to TRY to get rid of it! We can’t even take vacations we want because it’s a nightmare to get reservations. Now I’m forced to pass this horrible burden to my children. If you decide to use HICV, at least FORCE them to stop and let you read the contract. If I knew about the fees and interest that was glossed over, there’s no way I would be in this position!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I booked 2 nights at Holiday In, Winter Haven Florida due to evacuation of mobile home just before Hurricane Ian. Did this online, received a confirmation with the hotel rate. I, then decided to ADD one more night just in case. Received confirmation and the rate. I checked into the hotel which was busy due to hurricane customers. Clerk handed me a paper to sign, which I did assuming that was part of the checkin process. Stayed 3 nights, checked. Asked for a copy of my bill. Checked bill when I got home against the email confirmation and discovered $61.00 more charged for room. Called the hotel, was told that because I "changed" my reservation the initial rate was invalid and I was being charged the new rate.

The desk clerk NEVER informed me that what I was signing was an agreement to the rate change. I feel the hotel was taking advantage of the fact that people were in need of safe shelter during the hurricane and also took advantage of a 73 year old woman who was anxious and fearful that her home would be lost so I was not paying attention. The hotel itself mediocre. Bathrooom needed a cleaning, was texted AFTER I checked that there would be no housekeeping for my stay. Restaurant was ill equipped to handle the surge of patrons due to the storm. It took me 2 hours just to get more order taken, another 40 minutes to receive the order and when I did, it was the wrong order. Informed the front desk and what I got was a shrug and "Sorry."

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

When I decided to go ahead with a purchase of a timeshare with Holiday Inn Vacation Club, I was told that I was making a real estate investment that would, over time, save me money, not become a financial burden. Oh boy, now I know this is not true in any way. I’m not sure if the salespeople are confused about what they are selling or if they do it on purpose. Because of their lies or ignorance at what they are selling, they have completely committed fraud and have been taking my money and giving me nothing but a headache in return. I am 67 years old and newly retired, and they have shown me no mercy or sympathy for what they have been putting me through. I have never experienced elder abuse like this before.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

Hey, Holiday Inn, I have a question for you. What is the point of owning and paying fees as an “owner” if any person can book directly through your website or other online travel sites? You have completely disregarded our letter, but instead highlighted multiple times to keep our account current. So basically, you want to make sure you are getting paid, and care less about us! To the people who currently have not fallen for the tricks and games played by Holiday Inn, do not fall for it. I have been a loyal customer for years and have paid all my bills on time. And you may ask, what do I get in return? A headache. Their timeshares are worthless, and they will lie to get you to buy. They always have a way to overcome an objection with dishonesty and paint an amazing picture of vacations for life, but in the end, it is devious and just a disguise to get your money.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

We have been patient with Holiday Inn. We were just waiting for things to get better in hopes that maybe Holiday Inn miscommunicated key selling points that swayed our decision to purchase and would do the right thing. They have not. I am disappointed with their ethics and how they treat customers like myself. We were told all these false promises and were just lied to about many aspects of a timeshare. They also never disclosed many fees that we have been paying them. Holiday Inn has made it extremely difficult to book vacations, get a hold of someone, etc. They can not be trusted. I have yet to hear a response from them regarding the complaint letter I sent to their executives. Our patience is running thin with their fraudulent practices and the disrespect. Please, take the time to step back and evaluate how you have been treating us. It is not right.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

Holiday Inn Club Vacations told us, when selling us our timeshare, that we can use the contract for discounted tickets to Disney and to stay at Disney Resorts for our kids. They convinced us we were making the best decision of our lives. Telling us we can take many vacations for less and even being able to resell our timeshare if we wanted to. Holiday Inn convinced us they were making our traveling dreams come true. Instead, they made those dreams into nightmares. None of the things they told us were true. The salesman lied about the purchase of this deal that was never really available, because we got something completely different. We got constant rising maintenance fees, no discounts to Disney, a VERY HIGH interest rate, no availability, etc. Holiday Inn LIED, and we intend to inform the South Carolina Attorney General so no other customers get screwed over.

Holiday Inn author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Holiday Inn was founded in 1952 and is now an InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) brand. There are more than 1,200 Holiday Inn hotels with 228,100 rooms worldwide, making it one of the world’s largest hotel chains.

• Kids stay free: At Holiday Inns there is no charge for children under age 19 when they stay in the same room as their parents. Kids under 12 can order off the children’s menu for free at all onsite restaurants. Guests can visit the Holiday Inn website for more information.

• Pools and fitness centers: Most hotels in this chain have indoor and/or outdoor pools available for recreational or fitness activities. Guests will also likely have access to a fitness center when staying at a Holiday Inn.

• Supports small business: Holiday Inn is currently involved in IHG’s Journey to Extraordinary campaign. This year, the brand is exploring ways to help small businesses owners and entrepreneurs with business travel. They have partnered with two small businesses, Sword & Plough and Perfect 10, to learn about the small business traveler and find ways to make travel easier for that group.

• Rewards credit card: With IHG’s Rewards Club Select Credit Card cardholders earn points for every purchase they make, which can then be used for free hotel stays at any IHG hotel, including Holiday Inns. New customers can receive 70,000 bonus points when they spend at least $2,000 during the first three months they have the IHG Credit Card, which can give them as many as 14 free nights. See IHG’s website to apply.

• Smartphone app: IHG’s app makes it easy for travelers to quickly book a room at any of their brands, including Holiday Inn. The Flyertea Travel Awards named the app the Best Travel Mobile App in 2015. It is available for both Apple and Android platforms.

Holiday Inn Company Information