Hilton Hotels

Compare Hotel Brands

Research top Hotel Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My company booked me a corporate stay for business for 3 days (Hampton Inn Taos New Mexico/Hilton Hotels). On my arrival the front desk check in person had me stand around waiting for her to finish paperwork for twenty minutes before she would even help me. She took all my information and gave me a room. When I got to my room I had a fridge that did not work and an air condition unit that did not work. I went to the front desk where they sent a maintenance person to look at my fridge unit and he said it needed to be reset and that he would check on it in a couple of hours. He never returned and I had no fridge and my food got warm. The air condition unit never worked.

I went to dinner and when I got back someone was entering my room telling me that she had just been given my room. I went to the front desk and I was rudely told that they had no record of me being in that room. I returned with my confirmation paperwork and was so rudely dismissed, this was not the Hilton experience I was used to having. Both the afternoon and night persons should be fired for their unprofessional rude behavior. I will never allow my company to book any travel reservations at any Hilton from now on. My advice to anyone is go somewhere else. This is a terrible hotel and they do not deserve to be in business if they intend to treat people like this.

I am a diamond member but I had an experience recently with Hilton that is causing me to reconsider my loyalty with this hotel chain. I have used Hilton as my hotel of choice for many years and I've come to find that the service quality I am receiving, especially as a diamond member, is falling short of expectations. I am finding that there is very little difference between staying at any random hotel chain than what I receive at Hilton as a diamond member. Yes, upon arrival I have the occasional upgrade, bottled waters and a multiplier on points, but these literally cost the hotel nothing.

Recently, I stayed a total of eight nights over a two week period in Jamaica only to find out that I was neither awarded points nor nights for the roughly $3000 that I spent because I went through a travel agent. It is business travel and a requirement that I book through a travel agent that we use, yet Hilton has decided to have as a policy that they do not award points when booked through a travel agent. The only difference between booking through a travel agent and an OTA (online travel agency) is the human interaction. Now, in response to my five emails and calls to understand what can be done about this, Hilton has attempted to pacify me by throwing 30,000 points at me.

Clearly, they are not looking to get to the root of the problem, which is that I will be traveling internationally a lot moving forward and will have to use the same travel agent for those trips. If I am neither privy to points nor nights/stay credit, I have no reason to not stay at the company preferred hotel, which is not the Hilton.

This, and the fact that the service I have been receiving even state-side at Hilton properties is not what it used to be... Their competitive advantage is slipping fast and my experiences of late is that they neither care enough about the issue to truly understand the concern, nor do anything other than scratch the surface when it comes to corresponding back to me. I will not reward them back with my loyalty...

I have stayed at many Hiltons before and have been very satisfied with the customer service. However the service we received at the Garden Hilton in Valencia CA will prevent me from going to another Hilton again. We booked 20 rooms for our group, and the meal vouchers were incorrectly distributed. The main problem was not the poor distribution of the vouchers but the terrible treatment by the catering director to not only my wife and I, but the other parents and children as well. The other problem was the awful handling by the GM of the hotel was inexcusable.

It is incredibly frustrating when a company makes a mistake and acts like it was our fault. The Catering Director, used past groups behavior, and how the vouchers were filled out (which is not our responsibility) as an excuse his own rudeness to us. The GM ignored that fact how poorly, and rudely we were treated but instead wanted to focus on the voucher mistake but wanted to act again like it was our fault. The complete inability to listen to a customer trying to explain the terrible treatment they received is inexcusable.

In the end we received a run around by the guest services department and the General Manager in Valencia. I am disgusted how a General Manager refused to listen or to make any effort to be accountable and rectify the situation. Quality customer service has the ability to listen, understand and take action to correct the problem. What I received was a terrible manager who was not interested in listening but only interested in her perspective. One star is too high of a rating for the Hilton in Valencia CA.

My daughter's dance company had a competition at Port Chester High School. We stayed at the Westchester Hilton. Our stay was for 2 nights. Our first night our thermostat was set at 75 degrees. We could not get the room above 66 degrees. I spoke to two people at the front desk. I explained the problem to them. All they offered me was a portable heater. That wasn't acceptable. They assured me someone would look at it. No one came and looked at it. We came back from the competition it was late. Our room was at 63 degrees. All they said at the front desk was sorry. I will never stay at a another Hilton again. Our stay was the weekend of Feb 10 to the 12. The temperature outside was about 35 degrees.

I have been incorrectly charged by Hilton Sydney. Despite me writing to Hilton Sydney for over a month they have failed to refund me. Hilton Sydney have admitted that I had made the cancellation made through book.com on time and that there was no evidence of my booking on the Hhonors website. Further Hilton Sydney have not provided me the details of the complaint procedure and details of the regulator despite numerous requests from me. I have only been sent a website to a Fairtrade site. This is not acceptable and ridiculous state of affairs!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hilton?

Nice hotel but lots of front desk service issue, plus attitude. This stay was disappointing as I paid cash for the second night with poor service and options. Front desk kept giving excuses why certain things couldn't be done that had been done before. Only one of those things was a late checkout request. We were also told we couldn't get an upgrade because all upgrades were sold out. However, when our room had issues they quickly found an upgrade room. We used points this first night. Then when we decided the next morning to stay another night with money, we were told we had to move. To a downgraded room, long before it was check in time before other guests. We fought them in a few nonsensical answers and lies. The front desk would say something on availability, then would clear it with a manager who would say no. My husband is a diamond member.

Also, I wanted to purchase a balm from the spa, where I've purchased it before. I am disabled so I can't walk far. They said they couldn't just send it to my room. What? Odd. Nice to have a restaurant on site although it's fairly expensive. Did not use much. Also, they charged for wifi, which they fixed but shouldn't have happened. It would be nice to have better/more bathroom items. Other properties have a shoeshine pad, cotton balls/sponges and cleaner (non-moldy) bath areas. We were short towels, pillows and an extra blanket (they should be there rather than bother housekeeping for more). We tip a lot but tipping for something that should be there is a pain. Miss the old gift shop they used to have. I also wish there was an indoor pool. Other places offered nice rooms for less but we really didn't want to hassle with changing hotels. This stay was the worst of our stays here.

On December 31 I took my family to the Hilton Southwest for a new family tradition. Upon checking in everything was ok. Once we entered our rooms my wife and I went into our room and the kids went into theirs. Once we got into the room it was stuffy so I put on AC to cool room off. Once I put the ac on the lights flicked on and off so I called front desk. Maintenance came up and declared a electronic shortages so they move us to another room. So I'm like ok the night's still young. Once we got to the next room AC was ok, working. My wife and I got settled in.

I plugged my phone into the socket to charge. About 30 minutes later the tv shortage out. I'm like WTH and my phone went black and blew out. I quickly called up management. They came and opened up another room. Now I'm pissed. No phone and 3 rooms in one night. They gave us a free breakfast but I have no phone. I been calling the Hilton every day to see they can replace my phone but I'm getting runarounds. The building is a old hotel just renamed Hilton Southwest. This is not Hilton quality at all. This day 14. Still problem not resolved.

Very disappointed with the handling of an issue we encountered at Homewood Suites in Fort Myers Florida. My family had to change rooms during our stay and two of my purses were left in error. They ended up missing and even though the general manager and housekeeping manager confirmed that a housekeeper and an inspector had to survey the rooms before any guests are allowed they refused to believe that my purses were stolen. Claimed they asked the cleaning crew and they said they hadn't taken them. Wow!

If all we have to do to get to the truth is just ask nicely then we certainly are wasting money on a judicial system. The manager believed her staff so I was out of luck. We hadn't even checked out yet and our items were just taken. Will never stay here again and will make sure to tell any and everyone I can about this experience. They do not value their guests and their property. As long as they don't catch their employees in the act of stealing then there are no thefts. Corporate was no better.

Guest don't supervise their kids, running through hallways. Cleaning needs improving. I watch staff put dishes in dishwasher without detergent. Blood spots on bathroom floor never clean up. Outdated furniture.

Hilton is a reputation hotel. I have been a loyal customer and have always appreciated the excellent customer service you offer. It is ridiculous that the I booked the early saver superior room through Hilton.com on 25 Nov 2016, the price for one night stay on 30 April 2017 is USD 894 and after a month, the price reduced to USD685 and said it is another early saver promotion.

How can the early saver rate for my room (which is non–refundable, non changeable) be higher than HHonors non member, 2 points normal rate (fully refundable and changeable). I cannot believe I would be overcharged for such a huge amount (USD200 different) directly by Hilton. I sent email to Hilton, requested for price adjustment or other compensation. At first Hilton staff promised they will help me to follow up my case and send my request to management, but in the end I never get reply from them. I am very disappointed on their customer service!!! People who want to stay in Hilton. REMEMBER NOT TO book hotel early. You will not enjoy any privilege or discount because Hilton keep coming out new promotion and cheaper rate.

Hilton Hotels is a reputable hotel chain. Or so I thought. Five weeks ago, my Hilton room was robbed. When I got back to my room, every single valuable had been taken from my room. Surveillance video showed a thief walk in the front door, jimmy the lock, and walk out a few minutes later with a bag full of my computer, my wedding band (I was working out, so I hadn't taken much with me), my credit card, and everything else of value. So far, this is just a bad day. It happens. But the way Hilton responded added insult to injury. Like I said, this happened 5 full weeks ago. When I left the hotel that day, I was assured that things would be taken care of. They haven't been. Despite multiple emails and calls from me, I haven't heard a single thing from Hilton. Crickets.

Well, that's not 100% true. I did get a short impersonal email from Hilton's insurance agency saying that Hilton had decided they wouldn't be doing anything to help make this right. Absolutely nothing. Look, I understand if they don't want to claim legal liability for this. But I'm a longtime customer of Hilton. There was a time I thought very highly of the Hilton chain. But if this is how they treat their customers when a robbery happens on their watch, I'm going to think twice about ever going back. Especially if I'm traveling with any valuables.

I was booking a room in Omaha Nebraska at a Hilton hotel. I was transferred to a customer service rep that said I would get $100 off my stay at this hotel if I joined their honors program. Upon my booking in Omaha, I found out this was false information and that this particular hotel did not qualify for discount. I wrote customer service requesting my money back due to dishonest info and never received a courtesy call back or any correspondence. Because of this dishonest deception, I will never stay at another Hilton and will let all my friends and family know about this Hilton scam.

This is a scam. Hilton suckered me into believing that I could go to NYC for a 2 night 3-day vacation for the cost of hotel fees $297.00. Every time I spoke to an agent to book at room in NYC they couldn't accommodate the dates. I had until today, 12/14/2016 to book at room. I was giving this to my daughter and her fiance as an engagement gift. Not only could they not provide a hotel we wanted in Manhattan near Central Park... they then informed me that I had to go on the trip with them. They NEVER explained that this was a scam to join HILTON Vacations and you had to sit in a promotional speech for 90 minutes.

You have lost my business!! I will NEVER stay in a Hilton Hotel. Shame on you for stealing your loyal clients' money. I travel 1 - 2 weeks out of each month. I book all the hotel reservations for myself, my staff and my clients. This will not be the first letter I write. I will get to the CEO of Hiltons, Better Business Bureau and other powers that be to let them know what I think of your cheating scams. I just had to take my gift away from my daughter. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!

I am tired of receiving "spam" phone calls on my cell. I have pushed the section to remove me from the call list 3 times to no avail. Not only do I get spammed once a week, but the number called from is a cloned local T-Mobile number, so Hilton is trying to make me think it's a local number so I will answer it. If you have to trick people into talking to you, you have serious problems. STOP CALLING ME!!!

Don't ever stay at the Hilton Midtown NYC. We planned our family vacation 6-7 months ago to meet up in NYC for Thanksgiving. We called to make the reservation in June, doubled checked on Oct 3rd to verify everything was ok. I upgraded to a premium level paying much more, requested that our 2 rooms had to be joining as we have a child who is a diabetic and needs medical assistance at night sometimes. We requested, 1 king, and a room next to it with two double beds so my mom and 2 teenagers can sleep in there. "No problem" stated the young lady I spoke to.

I then called the day before we traveled Nov 22, spoke to reservations to make sure everything was set in stone. Nope! They had our 2 rooms on different floors! After 2 hours speaking with reservations and a hotel manager, she assured me everything would be okay. That she made notes and 99% chance it should be absolutely fine. I fly my mom from Texas to Florida, then Florida to NYC. We arrived at 8 pm, and we are informed not only do they not have the room type we requested, but that they don't have rooms together. The management says "you're lucky you can even stay here as we OVERSOLD!!!" Can you believe this? They're sending people to their other hotels in the city. Meanwhile this is on the parade route and that's why people booked in the first place paying $400 plus!

We settled into our rooms that were 4 doors away from each other. Not the type of rooms we paid for, super small along with smelly and super outdated with both only 1 king bed. I asked "where were my boys supposed to sleep?" I was promised 2 rollaways. We called and waited over 2 hours for rollaways, then we're informed THEY RAN OUT! My husband and I went down to speak to the management and they said they couldn't do anything about it. They'd have to sleep on the floor OR go to a different hotel and MAYBE they'd have a rollaway.

It's now 12:30 and I'm calling all over town to find a new hotel. We finally leave at 1 am and go to the W Hotel. We had to leave the rest of our family that stayed. Mind you they messed up their reservations too, but their child didn't have to sleep on the floor. They broke their contract with us...we are Hilton Honor members too, but I'll tell you honestly, THEY DON'T CARE.

I have been using Hilton for almost 20 years. This time when I checked in at Miami downtown it was great experience and also asked to provide HHonors nos. but the same was not handy at that time so I mentioned I will provide later on. I then stop by late night on my way back from dinner and asked night manager Mr. Amaurys ** to update the same. The answer which he gave me was not at all acceptable, he mentioned since I booked through third party cannot get points. This is for the first time I experience the same as in the past it's always been some agent who booked the hotel for me. Here I paid and also stayed so not understanding what's the criteria for declining.

I therefore asked him to show me the rule book but he couldn't justify the same and called up Hilton HHonors but they also didn't have any satisfying answers. He then printed out some paper showing benefits of Hilton HHonors. This was completely different than my request why I cannot get my points when I stayed and paid for my stay. He then started being rude. Extremely bad experience on Thanksgiving day. Thank you Hilton.

I booked a room at the Homewood Suites in Ft. Myers, Florida on Hilton's Website as I do almost weekly. I'm a District Manager and travel for a living. I use Hilton Hotels for ALL of my travel needs. I called Homewood Suites and was told that I am going to be charged $50 since I did not cancel 24 hours in advance. I didn't even book the hotel room 24 hours in advance and Hilton's Website states that it is changeable. So when they told me that they are only charging me $50 instead of the full rate I was still upset.

I'm a Hilton Hhonors Member since 2013 and have never had an issue, so I called Hilton Hhonor for a resolution and they just put me through to the hotel and washed their hands of my issue. Unless this is fully resolved I will no longer be doing my business with them. You would think that when spend this much money with a company you think that they would agree to their own terms and conditions on their website. Guess I was wrong. I'll be disputing the charges and will tell everyone I can about this. It's just not the right thing to do.

DO NOT USE THIS HOTEL CHAIN!!! They charge your credit card in advance and send an email confirmation stating NON-REFUNDABLE. The person taking the reservations does not tell you this when making the reservations. My credit card was charged $1600+ 3 weeks prior to my event. I only found this out when I needed to cancel one of the rooms. I spent over 45 minutes on the phone stating I was never informed of the pay in advance & non refundable and trying to get $800 + refunded. I was told the information was contained in the email confirmation & since I did not respond within 24 hours of making the reservation there was nothing they could do. I was not able to talk to a manager. I was told someone would call me back within 3-5 days. Still waiting. I did contact the FTC in Washington DC, so if this has happened to anyone else, please let them know.

This is a type of fraud/scam if you are not made aware of the terms verbally when making the reservation. Most business people do not check emails on a consistent basis. Any other hotel I stay at will charge my card after I have stayed. This is the SECOND time this has happened, guaranteed it will not happen again. When I went to Denver in May, my credit card was charged 3 months before my trip. And because I booked on-line, I did not even get credit for the HHonors program for the nights I stayed. There are too many respectable hotels that appreciate customers and they will get my business in the future!!!

Room was OK, Clean. Hallway stayed very cold (it's 40 outside and the AC stayed on). Pool area very hot, got dizzy had to leave. NO MICROWAVE, even Days Inn has them. Could not even cook popcorn. Overbilled me $60 a day, told takes 3 to 5 days to correct. Computer always does that and it automatically corrects itself, we were told. Did not even get a receipt when I handed in the door cards. NOT WORTH THE MONEY.

I will have to say that I am disappointed in the Hilton. I am an 8 year vet and I asked for a discount to stay at the Hilton. They said that most of the hotels do give the discount but not that one. How can you not give a discount on Veterans Day to a vet. They will do it at other places but not this one. I have never stayed at the Hilton and after tonight I will never stay at one again. The other thing is Portland is having issues this weekend because of elections and I asked if it gets bad could I cancel without being charged and they said no. So they are going to charge me $183 cancellation fee because I do not want to risk my life and my friends' lives too. What the hell. Needless to say I do not care how nice the place is. I will not be staying there after tonight any more. So to all of the military persons out there if you want a discount here, sorry you will not be getting it.

Stay Away from the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Birmingham - I cannot accurately describe how awful this hotel was. Something in the sheets made me break out with red rashy bumps on my arms, side, chest and hands. When I complained they switched me to a room with no bed. So I had to ask for a 3rd room which was a downgrade and I was NOT given a discount on the bill. I was told the General Manager would call me the next day which never happened - I had to call her. My whole situation was not a priority for the GM and the only compensation given was a few Hilton points. I have been a Hilton Diamond member for 11 years and never have I been treated so poorly. From the accommodations to the service my experience was beyond horrible. If you know what's good for you and your family avoid this place at all costs! You have been warned.

I was kicked out of the Home 2 Suites OKC South. I am a disabled veteran and was kicked out for my support animals, one week before veterans day. I was told they were too noisy, even though EVERY time I walked in they weren't barking. This morning they said they would change my room as they put me on the 1st floor next to the entrance adjacent to another room with other dogs. Then they called me after lunch and said I could no longer stay. When I got back to the hotel, I told the manager I was going to take legal action. As I walked back to my room, I gave her the finger. She then called my room a few minutes later saying I threatened her and that I had to leave immediately. She also informed me she called the police who arrived and told me I had to leave. Here is the kicker she told the police I refused to leave, so she was trying to get me arrested. I never said anything such thing.

I have been staying at Hilton Hotels for many years, and I'm a Hilton Honors member. No problems until I stayed in Savannah, Ga. We had a reservation on Oct. 28th to Oct. 30th 2016. We made a reservation for a suite and a balcony. We did not get a suite, when we enter the room. Really bad smell. But were really tired from the drive. So we did not complain. The staff was not very friendly. The staff did not explain any policies to us. She said sign here. She said next. Me and my husband left the Hotel got some to eat. When we got back the room we sat on the balcony. A lot of people were on their balcony smoking and drinking. It was very loud. My husband asked a person on their balcony so it's o.k. to smoke out here. They said yes. "No smoking signs out here sir. Every body does." We did smoke two cigarettes. Because it was outside not inside the room.

On Nov. 1st 2016 Hilton charged my card $250.00 for smoking on the balcony. REALLY There are NO SIGNS ON THE BALCONY!!! Where are the signs? You have thousands of signs in your Hotels. Not one the balcony. This is a scam. When I called the Hotel the lady was so rude to me. I told her "I will not come to your Hilton again", and I was cutting my card up. She said over and over "this is my policy." She would not let me talk. Very bad customer service, and I will also put this on Social Media. I will not be back. This is a SCAM.

Booked under "Government Rates" for official travel. Arrived after 10 hour drive and found that person I was to meet with would be departing prior to my meeting/expected stay time. Cancelled reservations at desk, told too late to cancel reservations for the Friday night stay, but that charges for expected Saturday and Sunday would be cancelled. Understanding hotel rules, said ok. Then get bill, Friday night cancelled' but Saturday and Sunday charged - complete reverse and doubling bill despite over 24 HR, cancellation notice for those days. Investigation finds Hampton Inn Marion taking advantage of local charity event for CANCER SURVIVORS to jack up rates and Hilton Corporate unwilling to intervene ("local hotel has decision") and feckless to intervene or fix their own reservation confirmation that says "Government Rate" with cancellation rules attached, when it is, or supposedly not. Never use Hilton again.

They were helpful, gave us plenty of options. It was a little pricey but for the area it was a good deal. Hotel was very pretty, had a nice pool and cool rooftop bar. Good gym. We don't usually opt for extras but it seemed standard. Overall the hotel the great. It was clean, beautiful and quiet. The location was perfect for walking to our preferred bars/restaurants. The rooftop bar was a very neat feature (drinks are pricey!). Pool was very small, not for kids but great for adults looking for a nice cool off in the afternoon.

Mediocre. It was rather noisy but we were on the ground floor. I requested a fruit basket on our arrival that they never delivered however they didn't charge us either. Also, there was not very much toilet paper in our room the first night.

Attentive staff, high quality. Supplies everything one needs. Free parking, free breakfast. Fantastic location, competitive pricing, delicious hot breakfast, a lot of shopping nearby, clean rooms, professional, friendly, accommodating staff.

Everything but the loss of my headphones was marginally satisfactory. The television in my room did not work and I had to move to another room. Whenever possible I tell this story and try to never stay in one of their properties again. Hide your valuable materials.

I understand that sometimes mistakes happen and there can be a double charge on a credit card (although it never happened to me before). I don't consider that a reason to stop using a hotel or the hotel brand (Hilton). What lost me as a customer forever to any of the Hilton Hotels is how this issue is being handled. It is NOT being handled. I stayed at the Hampton Inn on 8/22 and 8/23 and the reservation was made through a 3rd party reservation company. It was paid in advance of my arrival at the hotel. They took my credit card for incidentals and when I checked out was told there were no additional charges since it was prepaid. However, it is showing a charge of $201 and change on my credit card the day after I checked out.

I called the hotel and spoke with CHAAYA, who immediately went on the defense and ended up hanging up on me. I called her back and as soon as she heard my voice hung up again. I went online and filed a complaint with Hilton Corporation. I requested a call. To date, I have not received a call. I did receive an email telling me they talked to CHAAYA and she said it was because my card was declined with the 3rd party billing. My card has never been declined in my life, and if it HAD BEEN declined, why is it on my credit card statement - twice. Once with the 3rd party, and then it shows that Hilton billed me again. Hilton's blatant refusal to discuss the issue led me to file a complaint with the BBB who is looking into it. This sounds like fraud to me. Either way, I will NEVER use the Hilton brand again.

I was at Hilton Baltimore BWI Airport hotel for a wedding on 9//316-9/4/16. I put my son (18 months old) to bed at 10ish, I went to bed around 11. Around 11, my son started tossing around, I went to bed wondering reason for it. Around midnight, I woke up because my hands/arms started getting itchy, I turned on my flashlight and saw bed bug bites on my hand, I managed to kill in bed bug and took his picture... Totally not acceptable.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Hilton opened its first hotel in 1919, and it has become a highly recognized name in the hospitality industry. Hilton Hotels & Resorts is Hilton Worldwide’s flagship brand. The Hilton Hotels and Resorts brand alone has more than 500 hotels on six continents.

• Award winning: The World Travel Awards named Hilton Hotels & Resorts North America's Leading Hotel Brand in 2015. The same year, Hilton Worldwide was named a Top-50 Green Brand by Forbes and a Top Green Company by Newsweek.
  • Spa: Hilton Worldwide created the eforea spa with global travelers’ high standards in mind. The spa provides guests with experiences to encourage balance and wellness. Select Hilton Hotels and Resorts, DoubleTree Hotels and Embassy Suites have eforea, and sample menus can be found on Hilton’s website.
  • Twitter: Hilton has an active Twitter feed, and @HiltonSuggests tweets recommendations for travelers. All recommendations come from employees’ personal experience with local businesses and attractions.
  • Rewards: Hilton HHonors, the free Hilton Worldwide rewards program, lets guest use points for free nights. It also includes other perks, including access to free standard Wi-Fi and the option to check-in from Hilton’s smartphone app. With the app, guests can even select their own room.
  • Community involvement: Hilton Worldwide is committed to corporate responsibility. In 2015, Hilton employees volunteered a total of 213,000 hours in their local communities. Hilton has also partnered with PointWorthy so Hilton HHonors members can convert their unused points into a cash donation to the organization of their choice.
  • Best for Hilton Hotels & Resorts is good for solo travelers, couples, business travelers, retirees and anyone who is looking for a full service upscale hotel.

Compare Hotel Brands