2.26/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

505 Hilton Hotels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I am very upset that Hilton shares my information with Blue Green Resorts, who could be part of the Hilton Group. Blue Green is a sham and if Hilton has to give them my information I will no longer stay at Hilton Hotels.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I made a reservation by mistake for 12/22. Hilton did change my reservation to 12/27, this allowed me to utilize room, Cabana room, thanks. Stayed in the North Tower the night before, had to check in @ South Tower. I’m 63 and this wore me out, carrying luggage. Key didn’t work, had to make the trip back to get new key, then back to room. Was moved to Cabana next day, staff was great, helping me with luggage and escorting me to the Cabana Room.

Location of room was great. But, compared to the cost of room (this had been done by mistake). Took me a good 5 min to figure out how to use the shower (handicap room), also the floor looked clean, but was really sticky. That evening I looked at the bottom of my feet, filthy. Had to wash my feet sitting on side of the bed before I went to sleep. Disgusting. I never wanted a Cabana Room, made mistake reserving room THRU Priceline. Originally wanted regular room for three nights, but after mistake could only afford two nights. It’s a shame a Cabana Room wasn’t perfect for the price I HAD TO PAY!!!

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

This applies only to this specific location. I am a Hilton Honors gold member. I arrived and the line was 10 people deep. There were only 2 people helping out. The line was not defined - customers were confused where the line started. There was no flow. I used the Hilton app to check in instead but I needed extra keys so lined up for 10-15 minutes only to be given 2 keys that were NOT ACTIVATED! I went downstairs to line up AGAIN - line was still 10 person deep. There was no effort to direct the flow. It was chaotic. There was no effort to open another check-in desk.

After 15 minutes of waiting, I was finally able to talk to the check-in staff and complain that the keys were not even active. NO APOLOGIES. Instead of any apologies for the long wait or for the INACTIVE KEYS, the lady simply said out loud "You're welcome!" This is the rudest customer treatment. I have stayed at other Embassy Suites (Alexandria, VA/Reston, VA /Huntsville, AL/Birmingham, AL/South San Francisco, CA). The staff at those hotels were excellent and polite.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

We have stayed at the Puerto Vallarta Hilton resort – Mexico. It was the worst experience we ever had with Hilton. The rooms are dated with a strong smell of mold, mold could be seen on the floor, air-condition, doors and everywhere. We had to put towels on the floor as our baby was crawling in the room and the molds was so disgusting. The door lock was broken, the safe was broken and can't be use, chairs and table legs are rusty, the bed was old and mattress was sinking down at the center, make sleeping almost impossible with back pain every morning. This place by far was our worst vacation we ever had.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Booked way in advance and paid extra for an “oversized room”. Apparently, this means the ceilings are higher because it’s in the corner (no I’m not kidding!!!). Front desk personnel says they get a lot of complaints about it but would do nothing. False advertising??? Travel a lot. Won’t use Hilton again. I put one star because they wouldn’t let me leave it at zero.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hilton?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

My husband and I were stuck in an elevator and had to climb out the top of the ceiling on a vertical ladder through a very small space. It was the Hilton Garden Inn located in Lubbock, Texas. We were told we would receive some points for our Hilton honors account right away for the “inconvenience” of getting stuck in an elevator. The manager couldn’t even talk to us the next day (even though he promised to) and had an associate call us and let us know they will give us points but are unable to refund ANY monetary amount. We were just completely distraught and my fear of claustrophobia really took over.

Days and then weeks went by and still 0 points in my account. I called the hotel and also the customer service number but got absolutely nowhere. Shouldn’t we get some kind of partial refund or something?! I’m absolutely appalled by the customer service this company has and how they handled the situation. Our attorney is now involved so hopefully we can get some answers. Attached are photos from incident.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I am in a wheelchair, I reserved a handicapped room - it was not. I could not use the bath tub, and using the water closet was very difficult. They did refund the money, so - two stars. The staff was friendly, the room was clean, the other guests were quiet, but the breakfast was terrible.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

There were no amenities such as cocktails, chocolates, or extras, but there was water in the room and a small gift shop where toiletries. Seattle does not have good hotels and many have bed bugs there. This hotel was old but clean. The public areas were nice, and there was a coffee shop and bar on premises, but the rooms were very scuffed up and dampish. However, they were clean. The DoubleTree used to be the premier for the Hilton brand, but now is the lowest category of the hotel brand.

It was okay (3 star), but definitely not a 4 star hotel. Our Texas hotels are just soooooo much better (usually). There are some in Austin that are an exception, but by and large the Hill Country hotel chains, such as around Marble Falls, are much nicer than even the best rated in Seattle. Check out the La Quinta and Hampton Inn in Marble Falls. Those are beautiful hotels, that give you a glass of wine on check-in, free breakfast, sandwiches, stunning views of the lake, and a beautiful pool area with fireplace, etc. Check out the San Luis, Galvez, and Tremont in Galveston, or the Hilton Clear Lake. Customers get much more for much less here.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

The room was filthy - the carpet had not been vacuumed, there was hair between the top sheet and blanket, and there were tracks, from either a cleaning cart or suitcase on the bathroom tile. The hotel manager tried to claim the marks on the tile were simply a pattern on the tile. Maybe if it were on ALL of the tiles not just on two of them.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

The staff was friendly enough and helpful. Free breakfast was same thing as usual but often low on fruit. It was free but I chose to go somewhere and pay for a decent meal. The room was nice and clean. The bed was comfortable. There were lots of good tv channels. It's a convenient location. Plenty of free parking.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

The stay itself was just fine, but I was given 3 different prices online, at check in, and at check out. A little more transparency with fees would be great. We saved up a certain about, thought we had enough, then had to scramble to get more at checkout.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I’m a 7 year Diamond level member who stays on average over 100 night per year with Hilton and around 75 with Marriott. I’ve already stayed 108 nights this year with Hilton and, for no reason, my membership was downgraded to Gold?? No explanation?! I connected with Hilton Honors for an explanation. I received a response from a rep stating that I have achieved a satisfactory number of stays and nights to reach Diamond level but my status is Gold. Really? That’s the explanation? This is what I’m finding over and over when dealing with the so called Honors support group. Needless to say, moving forward, I’ll be staying over 175 nights per year with Marriott and 0 with Hilton. Fix the customer service for your best business customers or become a discount hotel chain.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

It's better than expected, but the coffee was terrible. The hotel looks good, did not use the gym, but it looked good, room clean and comfortable, great easy access from the airport. The breakfast was ok. Waffle maker out of order, very artificial juice, but overall it was a good hotel experience. Very nice people.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I had such an amazing stay. The hotel was beautiful, and the decor was so perfect. The staff was so polite and professional. I would recommend this hotel all day and everyday to everyone. It was perfect, I loved the hotel. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

The staff went above and beyond anything we needed. They were so friendly and the room was excellent - Clean; Updated; layout nice; comfortable. We really enjoyed our stay and from now on we will stay at the Hilton Gardens Hotels - you can't go wrong with them. They doubled our points when we needed extra towels even though they did nothing wrong.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

They stopped breakfast during the weekend but failed to notify us upon checking in and water refresher was broken the whole stay, and the hotel bus wouldn't drive us to site and house in Concord. Finally the hotel never would work, just like last time.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I have stayed at Hilton before and this is not exactly what I would expect of the Hilton chain. Very disappointing to say the least. The room was not fully cleaned and there was dust on floor around furniture. Ceiling bulbs not working, dirty clothes on floor behind chair. Refrigerator ran 24 hrs and made lots of noise. Ice machine not working.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Driving to the Hilton at Lincoln Center is a beautiful oasis. Really incredibly beautiful that’s why I chose to stay there. I enter and begin the long wait standing at the front desk where there are two men behind the counter conversing with other guest. No person even acknowledges that I am there. A young man rushed by asking what I want “check in”.

Now it’s been at least 15 minutes and I am still standing with my purse and important small carry on. Very tired. I interrupt the man from his long conversation and he quickly says I can’t check in. The reason appears to be that my mother’s name is Charlene ** on reservation and my name is Rhonda. I had used my mother’s account on Booking.com as I had for at least 5 other bookings over 2-3 months. I left the property. I inform Booking.com that I never checked in. I check my Visa bill and see that it has still not been credited. Booking was June 22, 2018 # **. I will call Hilton Lincoln Center Monday to resolve the charge to my Visa bill for $126.00 when I was not allowed to check in. Today is November 25th.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I have been staying at Hilton Hotels for few months now. Average of 10 days a month. I missed a reservation and had to pay the cancellation days fee. I missed the reservation and have no issue with that. What I have an issue with is since I missed the first day it canceled my entire stay that I got for a reduced rate. Now I have to rebook at a higher rate and 2 days cost as much as 3 days would have cost. Called customer service to try and get the day added to my Hilton Honors account. They informed me it is policy that you must stay the night to get credit on your Honors account however I fail to understand why because the fee charged is the same as the room rate plus all taxes.

Upon rebooking the price goes up. Original price was 103 a night and now is 179 a night. Little excessive in my opinion. My experience with Hilton Honors customer service on the phone was poor. I say this because my friend had the same thing happen to him and he called. Just so happen to have the name of the person and the confirmation number given. They were more than helpful when they are in the wrong and didn’t offer any upgrades or try and make it right that is why I based the experience within Hilton’s customer service as less than adequate!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Being handicapped, I asked for a shower chair. They had none available. I had already asked for a reclining chair, as I can only sleep in one. When I called the front desk, they also told me they had none.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

The room, amenities, staff, were fantastic. Felt like I was home. The management time was plentiful, a chance to meet staff and other hotel stays. Always tried to assist you immediately to ensure our stay was great. The room always smelled freshly cleaned and if there were requests the requests were met.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

My experience at Hyatt was pretty bad. My pillow case had lipstick on it, the bathroom had clean towels, but the floor was dirty with hair, the shampoo had not been changed out. Someone put a Do Not Disturb sign on our door the day we were gone all day, so the room was never cleaned and the front desk refused to give us fresh towels, saying they had none at the desk.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

The Hilton Hotel is convenient to Harvard Square without being in the mass tourist area. Great for handicap travelers, clean and good breakfast, spacious room. Our daughter lives in Arlington which made it easy for us to go back and forth to her home.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

When the volcano was erupting on the Big Island of Hawai'i, I guess vacationers cancelled their reservations enough that Hilton sent out a special email to their Honors members. For the cost of just the room, they INCLUDED: Breakfast and Dinner, ALL drinks (alcoholic or not), hotel fee, parking fee, the luau. As we have always wanted to stay at their Waikoloa location, we jumped on this special! The location, grounds, landscaping, and artwork are like a dream! Everywhere you go, inside and out, there are paintings, vases, statues, tapestries, waterfalls, flowers...everything to truly awe you! Being right on the ocean, only about a 20 min. drive North of the airport, the location is one you will never tire of...sunsets were different every single night! I feel their most attractive offering is their lagoon, which is also open to the ocean, yet protected from large sea creatures.

It has a great sand beach, a beautiful waterfall, and the lagoon depth varies from just a few feet to maybe 10-15'. Snorkeling is a dream, and you can easily see the same fish, turtles that you normally have to take special trips for. They also rent water bicycles, pedal boats and kayaks for this area. They have several pools, also, around the grounds - one even just for adults. There are also several slides into them. Because the grounds are so spread out, there is a tram and boats that use a special "moat" to get from one location to another. But, you can also easily just walk to any location. I guess the only drawback I found, even tho' not personally needing it, was somewhat limited access to everything for handicapped persons. Maybe you can get everywhere, but not always the most directly. Going over the boat "moats" to get to the beach and some of the pools, are somewhat high arched bridges that have steps only.

Also, even though there are elevators in all buildings, sometimes their locations aren't necessarily near where you may need to be. There are quite a few restaurants on the premises, with tastes for everyone. There is an ice cream shop, a hamburger place, a brewery type bar, an excellent Italian restaurant (Nui) that also makes take out pizza, a Hawaiian/Mexican Cantina, a breakfast restaurant, and one "posh" restaurant that we never bothered with (All dress is definitely casual). I must say, I am glad we had all inclusive food and drinks, as their prices at all the food places were kind of high, even for Hawai'i (Note: if you can still get all inclusive vouchers, you are still personally responsible for the automatically added on tax and 18% tip). The portions of food and drinks, though were extremely generous, so if you were paying for it, you could easily just order one food portion and share it with someone else.

As this is a destination resort, it is NOT that near any towns, (Kona is about a 35 min. drive away) but within walking distance, are 2 shopping centers, that also have restaurants if you chose to not eat on location. They have a luau 3 times a week, that includes a buffet dinner and musical and dancing entertainment. You also get either a fresh lei (ladies) or nut necklace (men). The food is plentiful, with offerings for meat eaters, and vegetarians, alike. The entertainment was very well done - not "cheesy". Our actual room was spacious, and they all have outside balconies with different, but beautiful views. I wouldn't consider it "luxurious", but clean, neat, well kept - not in need of any "repairs". We were in the Ocean Tower...maybe the Palace Tower might be more "luxurious", but since we only used the room to sleep in, we were quite satisfied.

They do have either valet or self parking, but both require daily costs - NO free parking. They also have a wedding chapel that looks out over the ocean bay, if you're so inclined! All the staff that we interfaced with were very polite, friendly and knowledgeable. All in all, this was a dream vacation (we stayed 11 days), and we have traveled extensively both in the US and internationally. I can definitely recommend it!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I really enjoy the stay. The staff was very helpful, courteous and knowledgeable. There was a nice spa and a gym. The restaurant had a variety of dishes accommodating various palates. The swimming pool was nice and big and very clean. The whole atmosphere was awesome.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I was greeted by the staff and doorman. Issues regarding my bill were corrected. I also appreciated the food that was provided. The breakfast and lunch were very delicious. The only trouble we had was connecting to the wifi.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Maintenance is lacking, from cleaning to paint. Way overpriced for the status of the hotel. Resort fee was charged but no amenities given. This is the second time I have stayed here (4 years ago was the first) and hotel is on a slow slide downward.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

This review is a complaint of Hilton as a company not the Phoenix Airport location. I reserved a room for Hilton Phoenix Airport through Hotwire. I got a great price of $58/night on Hotwire and checked the Hilton site and the price was $78/night with Hilton membership. To my surprise I see a commercial the same day promoting that if you find a Hilton room at a cheaper rate they will not only match the hotel price they will give you an additional 25% off! Immediately I contact Hilton to tell them of the situation.

They avoided addressing giving me the additional 25% off or even matching the price. A representative of Hilton explained that I would have to buy the room at full price with Hilton then show evidence that the room was less on another site and after that they would review the file and make a determination on whether they could give me 25% off. WHAT? So I need to pay for the same hotel room twice and only reside in one until they can decide if they will give me 25% off on a room that is less. I told them I would send the receipt of my purchase and they refused and commented they could not receive attachments.

I have a limited amount of time to cancel with Hotwire and was waiting to see if I would receive the 25% off. Luckily I did go through and got a great rate and for THIS I am happy. Price matching with an additional 25% from Hilton is a scam. Thinking finding a cheaper rate online will get you a cheaper rate with Hilton is misleading and disappointing!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I am a Hilton Honors member and have had only good experiences over the years during my stays at Hilton properties. However, over the Thanksgiving holiday, I stayed at a Hampton Inn and had the unpleasant experience of a barking dog in the room across the hall. When I went to the front desk to inquire, I was told that the dog was a "support/service dog" and that company policy required that they be allowed to stay in the hotel. When the front desk attempted to call the room, there was no answer confirming that the owners were not even there. I have absolutely no problem with true service dogs for person's with physical disabilities but am dismayed by the current trend to allow "emotional support" animals (to my eye, often just pets that owners don't want to board or leave at home) in hotels. Where do their "rights" end and mine begin?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Front desk staff very helpful. Fresh popped popcorn was available in early evening alternating with cookies. Free breakfast was great. Great location in downtown Charlottesville with a number of eating choices within walking distance. Wedding Block was set up and all the guests were pleased with their interaction with staff. Hotel shuttle available to guests. Highly recommend this property.

Hilton expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hilton opened its first hotel in 1919, and it has become a highly recognized name in the hospitality industry. Hilton Hotels & Resorts is Hilton Worldwide’s flagship brand. The Hilton Hotels and Resorts brand alone has more than 500 hotels on six continents.

• Award winning: The World Travel Awards named Hilton Hotels & Resorts North America's Leading Hotel Brand in 2015. The same year, Hilton Worldwide was named a Top-50 Green Brand by Forbes and a Top Green Company by Newsweek.

• Spa: Hilton Worldwide created the eforea spa with global travelers’ high standards in mind. The spa provides guests with experiences to encourage balance and wellness. Select Hilton Hotels and Resorts, DoubleTree Hotels and Embassy Suites have eforea, and sample menus can be found on Hilton’s website.

• Twitter: Hilton has an active Twitter feed, and @HiltonSuggests tweets recommendations for travelers. All recommendations come from employees’ personal experience with local businesses and attractions.

• Rewards: Hilton HHonors, the free Hilton Worldwide rewards program, lets guest use points for free nights. It also includes other perks, including access to free standard Wi-Fi and the option to check-in from Hilton’s smartphone app. With the app, guests can even select their own room.

• Community involvement: Hilton Worldwide is committed to corporate responsibility. In 2015, Hilton employees volunteered a total of 213,000 hours in their local communities. Hilton has also partnered with PointWorthy so Hilton HHonors members can convert their unused points into a cash donation to the organization of their choice.

• Best for: Hilton Hotels & Resorts is good for solo travelers, couples, business travelers, retirees and anyone who is looking for a full service upscale hotel.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs