2.89/5
Based on 121 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

450 Hilton Hotels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 7, 2018

I have been a Hilton rewards member for almost two decades and have stayed in their branded hotels dozens of time. I had planned to visit Niagara Falls and called the hotel to check room availability and price. I also inquired about using points that I had accumulated in booking the room. I was told that the rooms were available but that in order to use points I needed to contact the Hilton Rewards line.

I called the representative at the Hilton Rewards line and told him what I wanted to do - book a falls view room and use points to do so. I was very clear both before making the reservation and after that I wanted a falls view room. I was told that I could use my points and was quoted a rate. I requested and was sent a confirmation of the reservation. When I received the confirmation I saw that instead of being booked into a falls view room I was instead booked into a city view room.

I called the hotel to confirm that it was a city view rather than a falls view room. She confirmed that there were falls view rooms available but said that the hotel could not change this since I had made the reservation through the Hilton Rewards line using my points. I was directed to call the Hilton Rewards line to make the change. When I called the Hilton Rewards line I was told that there was nothing they could do to change the reservation to reflect what I had originally been told. I asked to talk to a supervisor and was directed to Evelyn. She also told me that there was nothing they would do to correct their error. My only choice was to cancel the reservation and pay the full price of the room.

This level of service shows a disregard for Hilton customers and particularly those who have been long time customers. I will be visiting Niagara Falls but will be staying at a competitor. I will also tell the competitor why I have chosen to stay with them rather than Hilton and will also be advising my friends, many of whom travel a great deal why I have made this decision. There are many choices when selecting a hotel and the fact that Hilton is unwilling to honor what they tell their customers is something that anyone making a decision where to stay should consider.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I'd like to start by saying, how disappointing!! My husband & I booked our family's vacation well over a month ago. We have our time scheduled off work for the week we "RESERVED" & our kids are so excited about their trip to Florida to see their Grandma & cousins!! Well, this morning I downloaded the Hilton Honors APP only to see that somehow my family's vacation has been CANCELED!!! I call customer service immediately to figure out How? Why? How could this happen with something we planned, reserved, and already told our children about?!?! The women on the line basically said there was nothing she could do because they were fully booked and somehow our cancelation was done over the web. Over the web?!?! We reserved a suite due to an extended stay with 2 kids, where am I possibly going to be able to rebook our vacation when EVERYWHERE that offers a suite is SOLD OUT?!?!

I didn't cancel, my husband didn't cancel and my kids are too young to know how to cancel... so long story short, my family's reservation somehow has been canceled and I find out through the app?!?! This is extremely disappointing and very frustrating! How could something like this happen?!?! I may never use Hilton again and may have to reschedule our summer vacation for next year!! How am I supposed to tell my kids and my family in Florida that we may not be making the trip?

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I scheduled a reservation 4 months in advance to stay at the Hampton Inn in Greenville, SC and I give my credit card information while making the reservation. On the day of check-in, I was called at 2:00 pm an hour before check-in at 3:00 pm and told that a credit card was needed to secure my room and that they were booked for the night and if I was not there at 3:00 pm that I would not have a room. I have never had anything like this happen to me before and I vacation regularly. Hilton properties only care about money not customer service.

I expressed my problem to several individuals working the front desk and was told that it was Hilton policy to call and antagonize their guests before check-in. I also requested that I have a king suite with balcony overlooking the Reedy River. I was told when I arrived to check-in that it was only a king suite over looking the river. I insisted that I booked a king suite with balcony overlooking the river. I ended up in a king suite with the balcony but not overlooking the river. Hilton sucks and I will never spend another dime in or on one of their properties and I would advise you not to as well. I hope that every member of the Hilton family slips on a banana peel and busts their ** because they will have earned it. #NeverHiltonAgain.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I became very ill and was unable to make a business trip to the DC/Metro area. Hilton was unwilling to refund my stay, even after escalating the issue to the general manager and to Hilton Honors. I am a loyal Hilton Honors member and typically book Hilton properties for business and personal travel. I have even stayed at this property about once a month for the last two years. This is the last time. I am appalled by the lack of empathy, customer service, and overall care for customers that Hilton has represented throughout this dispute. They will not refund me because "the hotel was overbooked" which was a complete lie since my colleague stayed at the property that night and confirmed that the hotel was "dead." Stay at the Marriott.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Hilton hotel in Indianapolis In, 120 Market St (Queen Deluxe Suite) - Paid $300 a night, no microwave, fridge and tub was the worst I've ever seen in a hotel in both rooms they gave me. The suite at the Holiday Inn is much better for $125 a night with a jet tub. This was my first and last time I will stay here.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hilton?

Original review: May 7, 2018

Homewood Suites, 5485 Financial Plaza, Shreveport, LA property has severely bad customer service and compassion for Loyal Hilton Honor Gold & Platinum members. Yesterday, I had a reservation for this property, unfortunately I had a family medical emergency at home in which I had to drive back home (5 hrs). I was already in Shreveport so I reached out to the property and explain my situation to the General Manager, **.

** refused to cancel my reservation without a penalty. She said that she could not help me regardless of my Hilton Honor status. I begged her for help because I cannot afford to pay a one night penalty plus tax when I didn't stay there. Don't ever book a reservation for this property. This property ownership/manager have ZERO compassion and no customer service loyalty. I still can't believe that this happen to me after being a 20 year Loyal Hilton Honors Gold member. ** - You should not be a general manager and you should be ashamed of your behavior.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I stayed at the Hilton Tapatio Cliffs resort with my wife and 3 kids on Friday the 4th 2018 to the 6th in Phoenix, AZ. We had so many issues with the resort. The first day we were there the carpet was wet due to an employee turned off the mini refrigerator, the faucet to the bathtub was broken and taking a shower was unpleasant. The mini fridge is stocked with food and drinks it's a hassle to take out over 30 items just to put in our food and drinks. The biggest problem we had was the kid's bed had bed bugs and they both got multiple bites. I took pictures of everything. I do not recommend staying at this resort. It was a horrible and disgusting experience. I will never stay at this resort! Management is aware of the situation and will conduct a full investigation.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I stayed at a Hilton property about six months ago impromptu, and it was great. Two weeks ago, I tried to make a reservation for a conference, recently moved to a Hilton Hotel and the entire reservation experience was horrible. I did not remember my Hilton Honors number from six months ago, so spoke with an agent. They said that I wasn't in their system and instead that I sign up for a new account.

Then it took three calls. First to their national reservations number... You need to speak to someone at the desk at that specific hotel. Second call, "That's not in our system: Can you call back tomorrow?" Called back, went through the spiel - they found the group, but would not give me the group rate - and hung up on me (without merit, the call was totally polite). Called national reservations at this point, explaining - please fix this situation. That agent didn't fix it, saying I need to contact the external conference host, but apologized, "As an apology for the overall inconvenience, we would like to make it up to you"... Turned me over to their internal Vegas-Orlando Vacation agent. At this point, I've lost an hour of time on the phone, still don't have my reservation and have been played.

So, then I call the conference host, explaining what has transpired and I am ready to withdraw from the conference altogether and will consult with my colleague before committing to withdraw. Fortunately, the conference host has his act in a pile. Ironically, had a cancellation and is making it all good. However, more than 24-hours later, there is still no confirmation from Hilton... And there is supposed to be. What exactly is Hilton's problem?

Original review: April 8, 2018

We checked in at the Hilton Niagara Falls where we valet our car! The next day when we got our car to go sightseeing we noticed the loonies we cashed $29 and my sunglasses were missing! We on the spot did a complaint and report and were assured they would take care of this! Well they didn’t. The General Manager PAUL ** who is unprofessional did not contact me till today 3 day after we checked out and said it wasn’t the hotel's responsibility and nothing he can do and to read the back of my stub. Well I did and it states that negligence on their part is not accepted! The hotel did nothing but lie and steal! As a travel agent I will advise other travel agency not to book Hilton but other chains like Marriott and Sheraton! Hilton hotels are very unprofessional, liars and thieves plus the hotels are dirty.... Don’t book Hilton.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Fess Parker by Hilton bad customer service all around - First issue was at check in when my information did not show up in the system. Simple enough error but the way it was handled and the lack of quality treatment had me feeling like I was trying to check in to a seedy motel and not a big name hotel. After that was resolved, my business partner was given vouchers for food for the same reservation which was not given on mine. I paid $60 out of pocket for cold, rubber like scrambled eggs for me and my wife until my business partner asked why I didn't use the food vouchers (the ones that were not given to me). I went to the front desk who asked a lot of questions and took a copy of the receipt to try to refund me. I had to ask for the vouchers for the next day, which they then gave to me.

The next morning I checked in to make sure that the refund had been handled and they asked me all of the questions from the previous night again and then said I needed to take the receipt that I had given them the night before to the manager of the restaurant and that she had been notified of the situation. I went to that manager who said she knew nothing about it, so I re-explained and answered all of the questions again and she said that she would take care of it. I then asked about using our vouchers for breakfast and she said that we didn't need them and instead, they give me a token.

After eating, I receive a bill for the difference in what the token covers and what we ate. My business partner and his wife had no charge for the same meal, so I asked if I did something different. The answer was that they used vouchers and I was using a token. I held up the vouchers that I was told not to use and then told that since I had those that there would not be a charge.

At this point, I'm feeling frustrated at how many things that I'm being told incorrectly on and the burden being put on me, so I ask to talk with the main manager of the hotel, who it turns out was the person who I couldn't check in with on day 1. I'm given explanations of why vouchers were given to my business partner and not me because they checked in before I did. I originally tried to check in 6 hours before my business partner and then once all was resolved on the registration, I still checked in 3 hours prior to the other's arrival, so that explanation didn't fit. She asked me what I wanted and I said that I wasn't looking for money but for them to better treat their guests. I won't stay at another Hilton Hotel.

Original review: March 27, 2018

The Hilton in New York City is centrally located within walking distance to tourist attractions, restaurants, and public transportation. The hotel staff was fairly accommodating. They were in the midst of the holiday season between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Parking price is outrageous and if it were not for having to deal with luggage taking the train could be less expensive.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Stayed at the Washington DC location and the room was not as described online. Free breakfast was not free either. But the parking was very convenient and there were no extra charges for in and out at any time. Staff was very helpful and polite as well.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Had a nickel and dime experience at Hilton Hotels Eugene, Oregon, USA. They charge extra for everything, car, internet, not worth it. Go to Marriott. They even give you breakfast. Hilton has a 'special room' only for full price payers not for 3rd party payers.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I had a bad experience at the Hilton in Savannah, GA. Poor customer service, food too expensive for cost, staff not pleasant and hotel management not considerate of client needs.

Original review: March 25, 2018

We had a great stay at Hilton Hotels New Orleans, LA. We arrived in New Orleans a little late in the afternoon, with no reservations anywhere. An officer said it would behoove the wife and I to find a place for the evening due to the streets were unsafe after dark. We asked him about a place to stay, he suggested the Hilton. We wanted to visit the casino anyway so we tried and we luckily got a room. Well worth the price. Stepped right out of the hotel and into the casino. Next day visited the normal stops, Bourbon street, restaurants and Marie Laveau shop. Hilton saved our whole trip.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I stayed at the San Diego Hilton for a family reunion. Staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. One of the more enjoyable to stays from start to finish. From the breakfast buffet to the poolside bar service everyone was attentive to the guests' needs.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I was recently charged a full night stay ($144) after my son was turned away for being 19 years old and not 21. The desk clerk said that we should of gone to their Hampton site and not Hilton.com to see if there was a higher age restriction... Seriously! We had made the online reservation at 9pm that night through Hilton.com and he arrived at 930pm at the hotel. He was assured there would be no charge, but the next day a full night fee was placed on my credit card. We are HHonors members with a long history of stays (over 100) and the Hilton website clearly stated 18 was the minimum age. He was coming back from spring break and stayed at another Hampton in Georgia with no issues on his way to Florida. We have reached out twice now only to be told that the night clerk was misinformed and a full night would have to be charged.

When we called to straighten this out, the front desk tone was rude and demeaning therefore we were forced to ask for the general manager to call us. That request has been ignored as they hope we just go away. This isn't about the money. This is about telling the customer the truth and not charging them later when they are back home hundreds of miles away. Please do not stay at this hotel if honesty is something you are looking for. Also no confirmation number was issued by Hilton or the local Hampton to show we were ever there. Therefore, I have no receipt to prove we were there except a charge on my credit card.

Original review: March 24, 2018

If you're not booking DIRECTLY WITH THE HOTEL YOU WANT TO STAY, YOU ARE GOING TO PAY DEARLY EXTRA for your room. Hilton Reservations (1800 Hiltons) trains salespeople to oversell and offer rooms way more expensive than the one you really need. Hilton Reservations will ask you unwanted questions to maximize profits and they don't even pay commissions, disrespecting you, the guest and the CSR or salesperson talking to you. MAKE SURE YOU book directly with the hotel front desk. This apply for EVERY HILTON HOTEL RESERVATION YOU MAKE... Period.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Hilton Hotels Montgomery, AL was a nice place to relax. I was pleased with the politeness and courteousness of the staff. I stayed in the jacuzzi suite and my room was very nice. I definitely appreciate granite and marble design in the bathroom. It was beautiful and the rainfall shower head was like a dream! But I wish the jacuzzi tub was a little bigger but otherwise the bathroom was a really spacious and gorgeous. The king size bed was just as wonderful. I slept so well I regretted only being able to stay one night, but I will be back!!

Original review: March 23, 2018

My family and I picked this hotel because we had stayed here the previous year and it was great, so this year for spring break we decided to stay one night here before heading out the next day for our cruise. Check in was fine, when we got to our room we noticed it was really hot. So I tried turning the AC temp down to cool off the room, after about an hour it was still hot, so I called the front desk and they told us to turn it off and then turn it back on and it should reboot. so I did that.

We decided to head down for the afternoon snacks and drinks. While we were sitting at a table drinking, out runs a mice in the kitchen area, we alerted they guy cleaning the tables and he said they were aware of it. My daughter was horrified and was ready to leave. When we got back to our room around 12 midnight the room was still hot. So I called downstairs again and they said they would reboot, it was still hot, after an hour I called again, this time they told me that the whole hotel was out and that their engineers were working to get it back up. It was so hot in our room we had to open the balcony door to let air in.

I was so uncomfortable I called back down to ask for a fan. They said they didn't have one, so at around 3 in the morning I was so uncomfortable I called back down, they stopped answering my calls. So we got no sleep and woke up hot and frustrated, upon check out I mentioned the horrible conditions and the front desk person didn't seem too concerned and just kept saying the whole hotel is out of air sorry. I had recommended this hotel before but never again. The only positive was Ms. Dianna, who was the concierge, person she was very polite and friendly. I hope you get that air working before summer because if not its gonna feel like hell!

Original review: March 23, 2018

Hilton Hotels Spokane, WA. Clean and affordable. Has very friendly staff. I wasn't able to use pool though because it was closed up. And I'm upset parking wasn't included in price of stay. But overall everything else was nice.

Original review: March 23, 2018

The Hilton Hotel in Reddington Beach, FL is wonderful. You walk in, check it, they call you by your name, offer you their fresh warm cookies, offer to hold your luggage if room is not available yet... you walk out onto this large veranda overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. Everyone is very friendly, some remember you from previous visits. The tiki bar reminds you of the Cheer's bar, people keep coming back and the workers have worked there for many years.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Hilton Hotel Mobile, AL, United States - Very nice room with a comfy bed and sleek modern bathroom in a good location for sightseeing on foot, the nice amenities like the pool and gym led to a pleasant stay in this historic city.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Called many times in car, to confirm my room in their Duncanville, Texas branch, which was always yes. Got to hotel -- room NOT READY! Finally got to my "reserved" room that plumbers "fixed". Exited shower onto flooded floor. Slipped, hurt myself, applied for first aid items, packed and left with many words to management. Next day, Hilton asking details of what happened, so I detailed everything. A short time later, a different department asked, so I went into my 2nd detail. The next day, 2 more different departments called with the "same" questions. I had enough and hung up. A week later, they sent 2 free breakfast coupons with NO explanation. Way, way too many employees who don't make final decisions. They never sent an insurance claim form. I paid my own doctor bill and chalked it up to a bad experience from a so-called quality hotel.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I booked a stay at the Jewel Dunn River Resort in Jamaica. I added the name of the second person on that reservation. I then wanted to extend my stay, but there is no way to modify the reservation; I had to cancel it. Call Hilton to put the points back into my account sometime in the next century so I could rebook my stay with the new dates. The Hilton rep assured me that I cannot, with points, book the ROOM I ALREADY BOOKED WITH POINTS. I sat on the phone for 2+ hours waiting for him to return the points back to my account. And in my haste to rebook before the room was gone, and after dealing with an imbecile for 2 hours, I forgot to switch the # of guests to 2.

I called Hilton to alert them of the error and to please adjust my reservation to 2 people. After speaking to 7+ Hilton reps, not a single one said it was possible. They said I would have to cancel my reservation, risk losing the room -- at an overbooked hotel - and redo the reservation and hope the room becomes available. UNACCEPTABLE. I have worked at hotels, I am well aware of overrides that can be done exactly for situations like this. It's a SIMPLE fix: just change the number of guests to 2, charge me the extra points for the additional guest, and everyone is happy. Hilton refused to do this. Mind you, I am a Diamond Member going on 3 years now... and this is how they treat me. And to top it off, this is my HONEYMOON.

Original review: March 21, 2018

The Hilton in Los Angeles is a beautiful hotel. It had updated and renovated rooms. It was comfortable, well located, and had good service. Restaurant was very good but, much too much, overprices for the quality and amount of the meal. Charged extra for parking at $21.00, which is an insult when paying such a high cost for the room itself and dining at the hotel as well.. This is overcharging and because of the exceptionally high cost. This small item should be inclusive as a good business practice.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I travel extensively and normally stay in Hilton properties, Hilton Hotel San Antonio, TX was the absolute worst Hilton I've ever been in. Hilton should be ashamed of this property. Old hotel and it desperately in need of upgrades, the room actually made me physically sick.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Hilton Hotels Vienna was so civilized! We had the penthouse room. It was big, very nicely decorated and comfortable. The bathroom was very spacious and had all the amenities. The staff was very helpful. The breakfasts in the restaurant were enormous and the waiters and waitresses couldn't do enough for us.

Original review: March 18, 2018

Felt almost like being home in Huntsville AL Hilton hotel. All was great as usual. But would be really cool if there was a free breakfast option at 6 am. Also, I haven't been travelling to hotels for a few years, so my points were not up to getting me a discounted price for my breakfast; sort of ruined the whole 'feel-like-home' experience.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Hilton refused to honor their own Best Price Guarantee policy, despite that the third party price I presented to them matched exactly what their requirements are for the program. There was no clear, honest explanation given as to why they denied it. Their rep also hung up the phone on me while I was (very nicely and politely) asking about this.

Hilton expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hilton opened its first hotel in 1919, and it has become a highly recognized name in the hospitality industry. Hilton Hotels & Resorts is Hilton Worldwide’s flagship brand. The Hilton Hotels and Resorts brand alone has more than 500 hotels on six continents.

• Award winning: The World Travel Awards named Hilton Hotels & Resorts North America's Leading Hotel Brand in 2015. The same year, Hilton Worldwide was named a Top-50 Green Brand by Forbes and a Top Green Company by Newsweek.

• Spa: Hilton Worldwide created the eforea spa with global travelers’ high standards in mind. The spa provides guests with experiences to encourage balance and wellness. Select Hilton Hotels and Resorts, DoubleTree Hotels and Embassy Suites have eforea, and sample menus can be found on Hilton’s website.

• Twitter: Hilton has an active Twitter feed, and @HiltonSuggests tweets recommendations for travelers. All recommendations come from employees’ personal experience with local businesses and attractions.

• Rewards: Hilton HHonors, the free Hilton Worldwide rewards program, lets guest use points for free nights. It also includes other perks, including access to free standard Wi-Fi and the option to check-in from Hilton’s smartphone app. With the app, guests can even select their own room.

• Community involvement: Hilton Worldwide is committed to corporate responsibility. In 2015, Hilton employees volunteered a total of 213,000 hours in their local communities. Hilton has also partnered with PointWorthy so Hilton HHonors members can convert their unused points into a cash donation to the organization of their choice.

• Best for: Hilton Hotels & Resorts is good for solo travelers, couples, business travelers, retirees and anyone who is looking for a full service upscale hotel.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs