3.5/5 (1417 ratings)

About Expedia

Expedia Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: May 22, 2022

Expedia advertised a property in Rome, Italy, as a hotel. It is not a hotel. I asked to cancel the reservation. Expedia states that they will take 10% of the reservation fee for cancellation. They will not acknowledge their false advertisement. Neither they nor I can even contact the property, however, they maintain that the property will not issue a refund. Quite simply, this is fraud. Expedia has no interest in taking care of its customers. I will NEVER use this service.

Original review: May 20, 2022

Expedia INTENTIONALLY cheated me. I used their site to reserve a room at the Red Lion hotel in Pasco, Washington. Just before I pushed the pay button a warning appeared that the purchase was "not refundable". Since I needed the room that night and all the other hotels in town were filled up I didn't hesitate to go ahead with the purchase. What I didn't realize was the hotel was already filled and Expedia immediately CHANGED THE DATE of the reservation to another day so that they could take my money. I never authorized such a change. Why would I reserve a room on a day I wouldn't even be in town?

I arrived at the Red lion hotel in Pasco, Washington and THREE of the employees there shook their heads and told me that Expedia was well-known as a scammer there. They told me of multiple folks who had arrived late in the night thinking they had a bed to sleep in only to be turned away. They warned me not to use Expedia in the future and offered to let me and my wife sit in the lounge all night. It was all that these fine folks could do for us.

My wife and I are both in our 70's and we spent that night in the car. When I tried to stop the charge at my bank Expedia cited the fact that the reservation was not refundable and I lost the money I paid for a room on another date that I never used. I tried to contact Expedia for a refund and was unable to run through the gauntlet of bots and talk to a real person. They have avoiding you down to an art form. Please don't use Expedia for anything. They are disreputable to the point of being downright thieves. They have developed a system that gives them immunity to recourse and will not hesitate to steal your money. Consumers like you and I are the only ones who can force them to behave honorably.

Original review: May 20, 2022

I received an email from an @chat.expedia.com email address with a valid Expedia itinerary ID saying my flight was cancelled and directing me to call Expedia customer service. I did and it connected right away. That is where the good stops. The agent asked for the itinerary ID, I gave it. She put me on hold for 4 minutes to look it up. When she came back she said I told her why I had called. She said that my return flight didn't exist. I gave her the booking ID and the airline confirmation code. She couldn't find it so I checked the airline site to confirm it. I told her it was there. She said that the airline had sent the email and I should call them. It is from an @chat.expedia.com email. She said, "The airlines do that." I said, "It gave the Expedia customer service number..." "Yes, they do that."

I asked to speak to a supervisor. "I may not be able to find one", of course not. Back on hold. Every 5 minutes or so the hold music would stop for less than a second then return. I stayed on the line 45 minutes so, IF I got someone who cared about customer service, they would be able to find the agent that delivered this abysmal experience and fire her. BTW, the airline showed my flight was still valid. My Expedia itinerary showed my flight to my destination but showed the return flight was cancelled. When I clicked on the link for the cancelled flight, it went to another flight TO the same destination that had been cancelled 2 years earlier. Good luck.

Original review: May 18, 2022

I had a hotel stay reservation for 4 nights that I needed reduced to 2 nights. I got explicit, documented specific advice directly from an Expedia rep to pay the hotel for all 4 nights and subsequently submit a refund request and Expedia would refund me for the 2 unused nights (which I actually paid and stayed at a different hotel). I did EXACTLY as instructed, and now after nearly 2 months and 10 conversations with other customer service reps, I still don't have a refund because now all of a sudden it's dependent on the hotel giving Expedia a refund for my early checkout. This was never explained to me, never part of what I was told, I was told it would be a frictionless refund experience. I was even skeptical of this approach so I asked multiple times on this (again, documented) chat conversation and Expedia rep assured me it would be no problem, no questions asked.

Expedia has shown no remorse or acknowledgement of mistake, and no willingness to live up to what they promised me and now as a result I'm in the hole like $500. After explaining my case, this is certainly the worst and least genuine customer service experience I've ever had with a hospitality company. I live in Seattle, I've supported Expedia as a local company, but this has been a really sad disaster of an experience that put a terrible ending to an otherwise great trip of mine. Travel and hospitality is supposed to be about happiness and memories, not lost money at the hands of a hospitality company that screwed up and won't take any ownership and accountability for their actions.

Original review: May 13, 2022

Don't waste your money buying the price match promise. They don't honor it. Bought airfare to Cancun in October, 2021. Purchased the price match guarantee. They say they check to see if the flights your purchased decrease and they supposedly honor the lower price and issue you a refund. They evidently do not do this as I found our exact flight schedule cheaper before our flight date, It was even offered on the Expedia website. When I confronted them about this, they refused to comply. Terrible customer service. Orbitz has my business.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I purchased the flight tickets from Expedia on February 9. With the flight, I also purchased flight protection. My flight has been canceled on May 4. They gave me 2 options: 1. They can help me to find an alternate flight. 2. I have to cancel myself and receive an airline credit. Interesting why do I have to cancel myself, if Expedia canceled on me!!! Anyway, I called Expedia for a refund and spent a whole day on the phone. The CS rep told me that they would refund me the airline ticket cost in 7 - 8 weeks, but not the flight protection. They refused my refund because I can only cancel within 15 days, but in my case, this is not me who canceled the flight and in my case, I can't even use this flight protection.

My flight was supposed to be in August, and I'm not the one who canceled the flight. In my understanding, if the flight has been canceled, then the flight protection for this flight should be canceled automatically, since the flight protection only covers the travel dates from August 12th through September 10th. I also asked them why is refund time 7-8 weeks, usually it is 7 business days. I called the Scandinavian airlines, and they told me that the refund time is 7 business days. Basically, Expedia will hold my money for another 7 weeks.

Original review: May 12, 2022

We had a rather unpleasant experience booking a flight. When I choose a flight, I am NOT expecting the prices to DOUBLE within a few minutes of me checking out. A company this big should be able to guarantee the price they advertise for more than 30 seconds. This feels like people are being exploited because they get stuck with a flight that they had carefully chosen and agreed on with family and friends and then panic and agree to buy before the price rises even more. That's why I had stopped using websites like this before but my husband had credits we had to use. However, this didn't even work. It showed in the beginning that it is applied to eligible flights and that was it. Doesn't show which flights are eligible or what to look out for so we could only assume that it was applied to the ones it showed us (why would it even show us ineligible flights if we clicked using credits without clearly labeling it, right?).

We ended up getting stuck overpaying and the credits weren't deducted at the end. We called the helpline and even though the lady was very friendly, Expedia's solution was to book a new, now even more ridiculously expensive flight, apply the credits, then cancel the old flight because just applying our credits after payment wasn't an option. Yet another convenient red tape that serves the company. After over an hour, we gave up. I was shocked to discover that it had gotten worse since I last used it. We are a Manager and IT Specialist in our 30s so this is not a problem of not knowing how to use a website or what to look out for. It is purposely made in a way that generates more money for them. Companies are getting bolder. Not a pleasant experience at all.

Original review: May 10, 2022

Had an absolutely horrible experience with Expedia. Will never use the again. My Malaysian Airlines flight was moved by 24 hours. Got an email saying I would get either a refund or flight credit if I cancelled. Called Expedia who confirmed verbally that I would get flight credit. Cancelled the flight. Waited 3 weeks, then when I contacted them they told me the ticket was non-refundable and I would get nothing back.

After many more weeks of back and forth, Expedia has accused me of multiple things such as:
- Not clicking the button to cancel the flight (I absolutely did. They didn't send me a confirmation email but luckily I took screenshots of the confirmation screen that said my cancellation had gone through successfully)

- Their agent telling me the tickets were non-refundable. This is false, their agent explicitly told me I would get flight credits

I still haven't gotten neither flight credits or a refund. Do not ever book flights with this company. They are crooks who will happily lie to your face and steal your money if anything goes wrong with your booking.

Original review: May 10, 2022

Customer service for resolution is less than satisfactory. Very poor actually. I have placed several 1st class airline tickets through Expedia. Today was the same but ended up so much different. I booked a flight that required a connection flight. Like most places I go, I typically have connecting flights. From my origin to the connecting flight I received my 1st class seat. On the connecting flight I was given an economy seat. When I spoke to Expedia, they said "Sorry, in your small print it says this can happen" and yes, they stuck to this. This is the amazing piece. I paid for 1st class, do make a few extra dollars, literally they made $154 by placing me in economy. I imagine they do this many times a day, which can add up to a lot of "scam" money.

I have never heard of such a thing, but they were right, it was in the small print. When you order your ticket, you better pray you get what you're looking for, read the small print. Because they will get you. Even if they only did this .5% of the time. This would generate 10s of millions of dollars of free money to them every year. I will never use Expedia again, nor will my family. In 2021-2022 my family spent almost $100k with Expedia. Only to be told "**." We want our $154. Lol what a joke.

Original review: May 10, 2022

I have been trying to use a coupon worth thousands of dollars for another booking and I have to admit I wasted many valuable hours on the phone with these dishonest and incompetent people. I wrote a letter to the Washington State Attorney General complaining about the unethical business practices. Expedia promised they will fix the issue but nothing has happened. The operators from India are extremely fake with their attitude and I have never seen them helpful on any issue. This company can do a simple online booking but once things go sideways consider your money stolen. Every single time you call them you will be starting from scratch and there are no notes or messages in their system. I have reason to believe that this is by design. Only the state attorney general's office can bring this dishonest enterprise to justice.

Original review: May 9, 2022

BEWARE: (Please take time to read before booking through Expedia). I am a long time customer who will be completely withdrawing my business, regardless of travel points. I have booked travel with Expedia for many years. I travel for work and Expedia seemed to provide a simplified platform to book hotels, cars and flights in one go. As of the last few years, it has been increasingly difficult to resolve issues. If you travel often or for work, you will understand what I mean. When the customer is more informed and capable than the customer service, and the customer is having to resolve the problem between hotel or airline while customer service stands by in confusion, this is a sign of an incompetent and sloppy business.

Recently they have withheld a $1000 booking for a rental car that was not available to me once I arrived. I was first told that I would be refunded by a chat agent and the reservation was canceled. This wasn't true. I was told again and again the same thing across multiple employees that said they were notifying their "higher ups". I had contacted the rental car company who told me it is Expedia who must release the funds. Long story short, I have had to file an official complaint with my bank and BBB. Expedia also canceled a flight without my knowledge and left me in a bind. The agent could not "get the airline on the line."

DO NOT BOOK THROUGH THIS PLATFORM. Go directly to the hotel, car rental agency or airline. Expedia doesn't even save you much money and you will have a huge headache. It is not really the customer service and I hope they are not blamed. It must be those who train and who have more authority running such a poor operation.

Original review: May 9, 2022

On March 25, 2022, I planned a long weekend trip for my wife and I. I made the reservation through Expedia and when I was booking the trip, an option appeared for Travel Guard Hotel Booking Protection Plan. There were all kinds of benefits listed and for only $24.95, it looked like a no brainer. Well, a few days before my trip, I had an employee come down sick and realized I was going to have to work the weekend I had planned to be gone. I called the hotel I was going to stay at and was told there was a no cancellation policy and I could not get a refund.

I remembered I had bought the trip insurance and reached out to them for instructions on how to file a claim. I had to fill out a detailed form explaining my situation and 3 weeks later was told that my reason for not being able to travel was not covered by the policy. People don't book trips and then cancel them for the fun of it. I would have loved to take the trip and not have to work. My biggest complaint is the ease of purchasing the policy and the lack of transparency of what is actually covered. It is misleading to think you are covered, but need an act of God to actually have insurance. Needless to say, I will NEVER buy another gimmicky trip warranty and ABSOLUTELY never use Expedia for any traveling I do in the future.

Original review: May 4, 2022

I never thought anything bad about Expedia until I actually dealt with them. I booked a car and needed to change minor details. Expedia booked me with Dollar. No one at either business could simply change the pickup and drop-off times. Expedia told me to cancel and rebook and I would get a full refund. Not so. I had to spend considerable time getting my refund. After I was told I'd get a full refund because they could not help make the minor change. I got $3.84. That meant searching through Expedia's website. Eventually I spoke with a really nice young woman who secured my refund. I never thought making a minor change would be so unpleasant.

Original review: May 4, 2022

Unethical, zero empathy, zero customer support, predatory booking and horrible refund policy in light of the pandemic that was raging just 5 short months ago. That just scratches the surface for this miserable excuse of a company. I've been a long time customer of Expedia but, I'll no longer be booking ANY travel through them ever again. In short, we had a trip booked and when the COVID Omicron variant spiked we opted to stay safe not take our planned trip. I requested a refund through Expedia on a car rental and they referred me to the car rental company. After going to them, the car rental company stated they could not provide the refund because Expedia had bought a wholesale block of car rentals and that matter of refund would rest with Expedia.

I immediately went back to Expedia and requested a refund and cited the world health conditions as my reason for wanting a refund since we opted not to travel with the COVID numbers so high. They flat out refused stating it was policy. I attempted to escalate the matter through them but, got mis-routed on several call attempts, got hold times of over 45 minutes, disconnected and in the end ignored. I went to the BBB to file a complaint and the response from Expedia was to take it up with the car rental company! Shortly after, the BBB closed the complaint which did not sit well with me. I'll never do business with Expedia again and I will be sure everyone I know and who they know to avoid this unprofessional company like the plague.

Original review: April 28, 2022

Paypal had a link to Expedia to pay for flight with paypal, but paypal never came up at time to pay. I asked expedia csr if I can use paypal to pay for flight. They should know that, but when I called expedia the csr refused to answer the question & rudely hung up. So I went to chat. There also it was evident that they don't know their own systems & took almost an hour, but they didn't know either. Paypal csrs were also useless.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I bought a refundable airline ticket through Expedia. It was a ticket for travel within Brazil on GOL airlines from Sao Paulo to Maceió. Due to COVID I had to cancel. I had a $464 credit with GOL. I called back less than a year later to rebook and looked at the prices on the Expedia Website. No matter what price flight I picked, it was costing me $464 more than the price of the ticket. I looked at expensive tickets, cheap tickets, and all sort of prices just to make sure. Every ticket I inquired about they quoted me $464 more than the listed price on their own website. Bottom line, they were not going to give me a refund. They scammed me.

I called several times. I am sure they do this to others. I know of at least one person that has confirmed this happened to them. I eventually bought my ticket through a travel agent in Brazil. He checked and the credit was with GOL airlines, but only Expedia could access it. Expedia should not be able to advertise that it is refundable and then deny me the credit that my account said I still had with that airline.

Original review: April 26, 2022

Booked through Expedia in March for June 17th at the Radisson Hotel Montreal Airport. Just got an e-mail that I cancelled, I didn't. Called the hotel, they said they have no idea, talk to Expedia. Called them, they said that Radisson cancelled it. Reason ended up being the hotel didn't have the room, miscommunication. LOL, most likely they could get more money and dropped us, since it's the weekend for the F1 Grand Prix, the reason we booked it. Anyway, long story short, Expedia apologized, waived the $32 cancellation insurance and gave us a $25 coupon... Are you kidding me???? I told the agent, that's it? She said pretty much yes. Never using Expedia or Radisson, unbelievable. Imagine planning something like this and then they just outright cancel it and not try to fix it and make it right for the consumer. Very surprised, frustrated and in shock that I am experiencing this through a company as large as Expedia. Consumer beware.

Original review: April 25, 2022

This is company is the absolute worst traveling company to ever deal with. Just remember they are just a middle man for your travel plans, and will never take any responsibility for any problems that occur. My first experience was when my fiancé used them in 2014 on a trip to Europe. We were stranded in France at the airport for 14 hours because they didn’t book the flight correctly. We got engaged in that day and was a total disaster.

2021 I hoped things changed so I decided to use them again. This place was in Atlantic City and once we walked in we could see this place was a dive. It was infested with bedbugs, blood on the sheets and the bathroom covered in ** and **. They took no responsibility and never got a refund. This time around my friend is getting married so I booked a hotel in the Poconos. It was suppose to be paid when I arrived at the hotel, but took the 489.000 instantly. I called the hotel and the customer rep said they would not charge any fees. Expedia still refuses to give me my money back. Two hours of dealing with their horrible customer service.

Please do not use this group to book a vacation. If people gave reviews it is because they had no issues, but if there is an issue they will leave you stranded. Looks at all the groups of people they have screwed over. Go directly to the hotel, airline, or car company. These guys charge fees and don’t help with any situation.

Original review: April 24, 2022

I needed to cancel my hotel reservation because firstly I reserved a room with a bathtub which I need for a disability I have and they changed it to a room without a bathtub and then after that my flight was cancelled by the airline so I couldn't stay at the hotel anyway. Expedia kept giving me the runaround about the refund. They say it's up to the hotel to approve but I contacted the hotel weeks ago and their third party department said they approved the refund and contacted Expedia to process it but that Expedia would not reply to them and yet when I contacted Expedia they kept claiming they never got any messages from the hotel despite all evidence to the contrary, multiple emails from the hotel department with contact info and everything.

One day at 1 am I got another email from Expedia again falsely claiming they didn't get the information from the hotel in order to refund it but that they would contact me in 8 hours at the latest with an update, but when I reminded them I had told them many times that the hotel did approve the refund and provided the emails proving it, they simply never replied, even 8 days after they said they would. I had to dispute the charge with my card since Expedia completely stopped acting in good faith and stopped all communication past their own deadline they set and wouldn't refund my reservation despite their own requirements they set being met.

Then the real kicker, after my dispute was of course decided in my favor, I finally got a response about my refund from Expedia which just said "Thank you for contacting Expedia with regards on your refund request with Bellagio. Due to your dispute on your bank we highly request you to contact your bank directly for your refund request." Wow! I never heard such a thing! They just want customers to file disputes rather than they refunding it themselves! I'm guessing the company puts punitive action against the customer service agents when they process refunds, even if those refunds are legally required or meet Expedia's own conditions for refund!! They will literally make you dispute it with your card rather than process it themselves!!

Original review: April 24, 2022

I have used Expedia for years with no problems. However, recently, I went to book a hotel room for June in Maine for my daughter and I. The site kept requiring me to repopulate the search terms over and over - when I would hit to go back as I was trying to price out options. Because of this, I ended up paying for a hotel room on a day that I was not there nor intended to be there and can find NO way to get in touch with a rep to fix this error. Horrible service - get BOTS who can't figure anything out. I will never use Expedia again. Spent the money for a wasted room.

Original review: April 23, 2022

I made a simple error with dates for my booking. I was told that I would get a refund. This was back in March. It’s now April almost May and still no refund. I will never use this company again in life.

Original review: April 23, 2022

I have been an Expedia customer for over 20 years. I not only used them for my personal travels but also used them for my business. Except some glitches here and there, I was moderately happy with their service. That was until three weeks ago. I booked a hotel through them for a tenant at Stayable Suites, St. Augustine. When the tenant arrived, the hotel staff was so rude and insisted for a $100 deposit before they could get in to their room. With no money at hand, they called me and I in turn called Expedia. After so many hours of trying they were not able to help and I end up putting them in another hotel.

A week ago, I booked a room at TRYP by Wyndham Bogotá Embajada in Bogota, Colombia. By mistake, I booked for 29th of April instead of 27th of April. I went to the online chat and after many attempts it connected me to someone in India. The call center operator said that my reservation cannot be changed. When I pointed out that Expedia says it is up to the Hotel, he said he will call them. Then he came back and said the call doesn’t go through. He suggested that he will send them an email and the response would take 72 hours and I agreed.

Next day I tried again on the online chat and I got a different person. His first name was Zaid. He had no clue about the previous conversations nor of any emails send to the hotel. I repeated again and he said he will call the hotel. Then he came back and said the calls are not going through. So, I called the hotel and without any problem I was connected to a reservation specialist.

I invited the Expedia rep to have a three way call so that I can prove that there is nothing wrong with the phone calls. However, he refused saying it is against the company rules. I asked for a supervisor and he said none is available. He again said that he is going to send them an email. He must have been frustrated, because he closed the text messages before I could finish and blocked me from using the text messages. Since then when I use the text message, the following message appears. "There is a limit to the the number of words.." So I will try to write again.

Original review: April 22, 2022

The airline cancelled my flight twice included re-booked. I finally want to cancel and don't believe in this airline anymore. Expedia charged me $200 for cancellation due I don't want to re-book with them. Will never touch this company again.

Original review: April 22, 2022

Expedia refused to refund me for a canceled flight (pandemic reasons). Instead they gave me flight credits with an expiration date during a pandemic when travel was ill-advised. I asked for an extension because I didn't want to travel during a pandemic time. Instead, they misdirected me to American Airlines to resolve the issue – AA responded after the expiration date and directed me to go back to Expedia for an extension. CONSUMER BEWARE – My travel credits are gone and so is my money. Thank you for stealing my money with bureaucratic delay tactics – well-played, Expedia and American Airlines. NEVER doing with Expedia again.

Original review: April 20, 2022

The only reason I put 1 star is because I can't put 0. They refused to give me a refund of over $300 for a flight I cancel about 10 hours after booking. Terrible customer service. You are better off just booking directly with the airline. Thieves I repeat!

Original review: April 20, 2022

I booked a trip for my husband and I to Spain. I spoke to a representative with Expedia on March 31 to confirm that my spouse could use the return ticket home as he had to fly there for work a week before our trip and would not be on the departing flight. I was told this would be no problem and to call back within 24 hours of my flight to cancel his reservation and get a partial credit. I did just that and was told he did not have a ticket home. I then asked a manager to call me back which was supposed to be 2 hours later. They called back 26 hours later and the representative did not offer a solution but wanted to tell me the policy and argue with me.

After many calls and no resolution we had to purchase another ticket home which cost over $2300. I will never use Expedia again as they do not care about the customers or customer service. Expedia says they record the calls yet would not listen to the call on March 31st to verify what the rep said to me. They do not care what misinformation their reps give the customers.

Original review: April 17, 2022

We needed to book a hotel room in Tennessee and a rate was posted by Expedia which seemed very good except that the rate was for a month ahead, and we needed a room that night. Not realizing our mistake we turned up at the hotel and then discovered our mistake.. We made a fresh booking for that night. We explained the situation to Expedia and were told they would refund our money. They never did.

Original review: April 14, 2022

I booked a flight YYZ to FRA for June 16 and as soon as finished booking (paid and confirmed), I remembered that I will not be able to travel that week and tried to cancel the flight with no luck bouncing between Expedia and WestJet (more than 10 calls), still no luck. Not even sure what the next step is cause WJ is telling me to contact Expedia and vice versa. For Reference purpose Expedia Case# is **.

Original review: April 11, 2022

Travel Guard is an insurance agency used by Expedia. The underwriter for Travel Guard is National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh PA. Cruise line canceled the cruise. Flights were canceled. Insurance decided not to cover the cancellation.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I booked with Expedia and paid with Expedia. Air Asia cancelled the flight. Not my fault. I tried to get a refund and it's my right to do so. I called Air Asia 1st, they said Expedia has to refund you. Ok that makes sense. I called Expedia they said Air Asia has to refund me. Ok, now I'm getting mad.. I called Air Asia and the same game!! Easy to take my money but when there is an issue they will not give me back my money.. I work hard for my money.. Please do not use Expedia!!! Scammers!!!!

Expedia Company Information