2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

3.5/5 (2156 ratings)

About Expedia

Expedia Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

I had booked several rooms for a wedding weekend. When I called to change one of the reservations, the agent mistakenly deleted the wrong one. Our conversation was recorded in a virtual chat transcript where I repeatedly told him not to touch one of the rooms. I had a bad feeling and called the hotel after talking with the agent and was told by the hotel that I had no reservations in my name! I was advised by Expedia to rebook at the (higher) current rate and work with them on the back end to get a refund. I was told I had to pay the hotel directly and then send Expedia the receipt.

I ended up paying $756 extra and all efforts to rectify the situation with Expedia failed. They kept promising me a review, a refund of the case, but after more than 5 calls, 10 hours and hollow promises, they never followed up to update me/close out the situation. I have used Expedia for over 15 years, but not anymore. Slimy and totally disreputable. I am out $756 for an error made by their agent in a foreign country.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

I cancelled booking, and despite a full refund from the hotel, Expedia is charging. They are breaking their own communication policy, so I had to dispute the charge with the bank. They somehow found the time to go to the bank to reverse the charge, despite ignoring my emails for MONTHs. This is dishonest and feels like theft, as the charge was fully refunded from the hotel. Hotels have indicated that third parties like Expedia make everything more difficult. They are an unnecessary intermediary which makes it difficult to make any changes to bookings. Do not use Expedia!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I book a trip that I have to cancel. The airlines give me a full refund but I need to reboot through Expedia if I want another flight. When I try to book another flight with my credit the Expedia site block to booking. Because you have to make the new reservation through the agency agent and Expedia charge me the most expensive flight. For example. My flights cost me 425. And when I try to make another reservation with my credit the agent told me that I need to pay 678. But if I made the reservation without the credit the same flight cost me 417. On American Airlines. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

I paid for a hotel and written I got… I paid for a hotel and when I got there found out how insecure their system was. They taped a envelope with our name and then put our key and room number in the envelope and tape it on the front door. Nobody was working. I felt like somebody could grab the key make a copy and come visit us that night. Expedia refused to refund our money. I will no longer use Expedia. Because you never know what that hotel's like until you get there and if Expedia doesn’t back you what are they worth?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Awful!!! Worst customer service I’ve ever experienced. I book through sites like this several times per year. My first time using Expedia, and I will never use them again. I booked a flight, hotel, and shuttle from hotel in Mexico through them. When my flight was delayed I tried, for 2.5 hours, to contact the shuttle company and Expedia to change shuttle times or cancel shuttle. I was disconnected from Expedia customer service 12 times at the airport, after 3 people told me they would cancel the shuttle (which never happened). Called shuttle service and emailed them, never got any response. Had to book, and pay for, a separate shuttle.

When I got home I tried calling Expedia again. Disconnected 4 more times!! Had to file a dispute with my credit card company because you cannot speak with Expedia customer service. Expedia has sent me three emails now saying that they cannot get through to the shuttle company booked through them!! And their conclusion is that I should have to pay for it! A company they can’t reach. How was I to reach them?!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Booked one night at Red Roof Inn in Sutton, Mass. When we arrived at hotel our room was disgusting. It was not clean, the bathroom was falling apart, there was mold/mildew on the walls and the rugs and when I pulled back the bedding there was someone else's black hairs on the white sheets. There was no way we were staying there and ended up driving home in the middle of the night, exhausted, in rainy, horrible driving conditions. When I went back to the desk and told them about the issue they said I needed to contact Expedia for a refund.

Expedia said they had to verify I did not stay with the hotel. They told me they were unable to reach the hotel and the hotel manager told me Expedia never called them. Needless to say I never received my refund despite many calls to the hotel and to Expedia. Very frustrating that Expedia would not stand by their customers and help in a situation like this. Of course all the pictures on this hotel's website are beautiful.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Expedia recommends Red Lion Downtowner in Boise ID on their site. It was the worst experience I ever had in a hotel. 1. Needed to recode the key every time I left room, it never worked twice. 2. It's run down and dirty. 3. Elevator for 7 floors is a 5 minute wait. I cook a better tasting and looking breakfast than one they serve, place was empty every morning, not a good sign. 4. Took a jacuzzi at the pool, key didn't work to get back in hotel, had to walk all the way around to front. 5. Bad area, homeless people walking round and obvious $500 wreck in the parking lot where homeless people parking there.

6. A customer yelled at me for trying to get on elevator with her and her husband when my floor door opened and when I did she pushed me out, I complained to front desk, they did nothing, not even a report. Then the crazy customer called the police and I had to be interviewed. 7. I asked no room service sheet changing the first day, since I got in late, but they never came over three days, didn't even return my message to housekeeping. 8. Tell me this place isn't effed up. 9. I'm done with Expedia, too. Never use them again to book.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I booked hotel through Expedia (itinerary **). When I canceled my hotel reservation to change dates, they took my money for reservation ** and are not willing to refund me or reinstate the booking. And they did not warn me I will not get refunded. Hotel told me they did not receive money and that my agent (Expedia) took my money.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

We purchased our airline tickets through Expedia and paid extra to lock in our seat selection ahead of time for a very long flight. Five days before our flight, we checked on the airline website and there was only one seat reserved instead of two. I called the airline and they told me Expedia was responsible for solving the problem—it was their block ticket. Expedia customer service told me it was the airline’s problem and refused to let me speak to a supervisor. After going around and around, the agent put me on hold, came back on the line and told me everything was fine. This turned out to be completely incorrect. We did not have a second seat. After reciting this story with friends, it appears it happens all the time with Expedia. People show up to the airport thinking their seats are all set and they are not….so you’re stuck sitting in a middle seat for endless hours. I’m very dissatisfied.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

DO NOT BOOK WITH EXPEDIA!! Idk why I allow them to screw me over again. I booked 3 rooms for 3 adults and 1 child. Expedia, booked me for an executive suite (1 room) which by the way wasn't an option when I booked (internationally btw). The rooms are non refundable and the hotel refused to waive the fee and rebook the 3 rooms. Now I'm forced to book 2 additional rooms at nearby hotels because of their error. I will seek legal advice because I'm positive this is illegal for them to do. Never will used them again.

Expedia Company Information