3.1/5 (2207 ratings)

About Expedia

Expedia Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Expedia recommends Red Lion Downtowner in Boise ID on their site. It was the worst experience I ever had in a hotel. 1. Needed to recode the key every time I left room, it never worked twice. 2. It's run down and dirty. 3. Elevator for 7 floors is a 5 minute wait. I cook a better tasting and looking breakfast than one they serve, place was empty every morning, not a good sign. 4. Took a jacuzzi at the pool, key didn't work to get back in hotel, had to walk all the way around to front. 5. Bad area, homeless people walking round and obvious $500 wreck in the parking lot where homeless people parking there.

6. A customer yelled at me for trying to get on elevator with her and her husband when my floor door opened and when I did she pushed me out, I complained to front desk, they did nothing, not even a report. Then the crazy customer called the police and I had to be interviewed. 7. I asked no room service sheet changing the first day, since I got in late, but they never came over three days, didn't even return my message to housekeeping. 8. Tell me this place isn't effed up. 9. I'm done with Expedia, too. Never use them again to book.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I booked hotel through Expedia (itinerary **). When I canceled my hotel reservation to change dates, they took my money for reservation ** and are not willing to refund me or reinstate the booking. And they did not warn me I will not get refunded. Hotel told me they did not receive money and that my agent (Expedia) took my money.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

We purchased our airline tickets through Expedia and paid extra to lock in our seat selection ahead of time for a very long flight. Five days before our flight, we checked on the airline website and there was only one seat reserved instead of two. I called the airline and they told me Expedia was responsible for solving the problem—it was their block ticket. Expedia customer service told me it was the airline’s problem and refused to let me speak to a supervisor. After going around and around, the agent put me on hold, came back on the line and told me everything was fine. This turned out to be completely incorrect. We did not have a second seat. After reciting this story with friends, it appears it happens all the time with Expedia. People show up to the airport thinking their seats are all set and they are not….so you’re stuck sitting in a middle seat for endless hours. I’m very dissatisfied.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

DO NOT BOOK WITH EXPEDIA!! Idk why I allow them to screw me over again. I booked 3 rooms for 3 adults and 1 child. Expedia, booked me for an executive suite (1 room) which by the way wasn't an option when I booked (internationally btw). The rooms are non refundable and the hotel refused to waive the fee and rebook the 3 rooms. Now I'm forced to book 2 additional rooms at nearby hotels because of their error. I will seek legal advice because I'm positive this is illegal for them to do. Never will used them again.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

I would like to give no star if possible but I can’t. I went to California for 1 day only ended up renting a car for that day. Expedia website takes you 2 weeks ahead every time you are trying to rent a car making you changing manually the actual date that you wanted for…. I was looking for options so I went back a forward on the page without noticing that they have changed the reservation date those two weeks ahead.

When I arrived to the rental car they told me to rent out another car there of course at a different rate $99 (almost double of what I paid to Expedia $57) and Fox Rental told me that with my new confirmation number Expedia was going to make a refund… immediately after I called Expedia before even doing my reservation only to avoid issues on my refund EXPEDIA assured me that I was going to get the refund. So I went ahead and rent it the car on site within 7 days. In 5 days received an email saying that Fox was not going to give me the money back. So I called Fox and they told me that nobody from Expedia have contact them on regards of my case. Ended up paying between Expedia and Fox Rental $156 for an economy car for 1 day!!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I would like to give no star. Due to a family emergency, which eventually resulted in unexpected brain surgery on my spouse on 7/30, I cancelled a one night reservation for 7/22 at the New Haven Hotel on George Street in New Haven 3 days (7/18) after making and paying Expedia $205.00 for the room on 7/16. I immediately notified the hotel which said okay and referred me to Expedia for a refund. I tried to contact Expedia via chat, but couldn't get through, then called them the next day and explained the circumstances. Expedia asked for the name of the hotel person who approved the cancellation. I called the hotel back, got that name, and provided it to Expedia Expedia said that they would have to verify. Then I heard nothing more.

I also started a billing dispute through my credit card company. I was just informed, in mid September, that Expedia's response was merely that no credit was due. I wish that I have read all the other reviews on Consumer Affairs about the poor quality of Expedia before I booked through them. I will never received anything of value for my $205 and I will never use their service again.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

DO NOT USE EXPEDIA!!!! We purchased a ticket for our daughter with cancellation protection as an upgrade. The "AIRLINE" cancelled the flight and did not offer a comparable flight as an option. We contacted EXPEDIA, they told us to contact the airline. The airline told us they would authorize a refund but it would take 30 days and would be issued through EXPEDIA. We waited NOTHING!!! We contacted Expedia 31 days later, they told us tough THEY TOOK OUR MONEY, they gave us nothing back!!! CROOKS!!!! They will not help you!!! They are rude and deceptive. DO NOT USE THEM!!!!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

DO NOT USE EXPEDIA OR YOU'LL LOSE MONEY. I rent a car from Fox via carrentals.com and paid $1,707. However, when I got the car, the invoice showed $767. I called Fox directly and Fox confirmed that they only got $767 and Expedia profited $940 just being the middle man (more than the rental price). When I emailed Expedia, they always delayed by the excuse of "waiting to hear from the vendor" and then complete silence despite my efforts to follow up by emails/calls. I have the invoice with me as proof. You'd better rent a car directly from the companies than through this 3rd party. They claimed to get you better deals but it's not true. I lost money but wanted to warn people so they will not end up like me.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I booked a "transferable" trip USA to UK and paid $2,650. I had to cancel and rearrange the dates, and when I did the fare was $611 less. I was told the difference was only useable on the new booking due to the airline policy (Virgin Atlantic), so I asked to upgrade seats. I was told I would have to contact the airline directly. I did so and learned from Virgin that they had only been paid $2,037 and the rest of my money remained with Expedia, and they told me "this happens frequently," and I would have to call Expedia to try and get a seat upgrade. Expedia played dumb, and when I asked to speak to a supervisor, they held me on the phone for 44 minutes before dropping the line. Lies about "Airline Policy" and acting deliberately to pocket my remaining money. Never again Expedia!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

We booked our honeymoon through Expedia and had a miserable experience with the worst customer service I have ever experienced. We were scheduled to leave at midnight. Our flight was canceled and we were put on an earlier flight that would cause us to miss our wedding. I called the airline to find out what our options were. The airline (Air France) was friendly and looked at alternative flights with me. We selected one. They made notes on the booking about the new flights, but told me I had to call Expedia because ultimately Expedia would have to reissue the tickets as they issued them in the first place.

I called Expedia 4 times and had 4 horrible experiences. I waited on hold each time just to have an agent be unable to help me. One Expedia agent suggested I call back tomorrow, I let him know that I had waited on hold for a while and I’d like to resolve the issue today if possible. The agent said “No if you call tomorrow we will prioritize your call and there will be no wait.” I asked him how they would do this, would my phone number be saved? He admitted actually no, everything would be the same and I’d wait on hold, he just couldn’t figure out what to do and he’d rather I talk to a different agent tomorrow.

On a different occasion, speaking with a different agent, the agent continued to speak over me and offer me flights that left earlier in the day and I calmly reminded him that we needed a flight that left later or the next day. He even offered me the exact flight that I was calling to get off of and when I tried to point this out, he just spoke over me repeating “Very very good flight, good deal, very good flight.” I tried to call Air France again and they said unfortunately Expedia had to reissue the tickets. I asked to speak to a manager at Expedia and twice was told they weren’t immediately available, but would call me back by the end of the day. I never received a call back.

We couldn’t plan the rest of our honeymoon because we did not know when we would actually arrive at our destination. One day, we had a five hour drive and I spent the entire time on the phone with Expedia. At the end of the drive it still wasn’t resolved and I was in tears. I just needed our tickets to be reissued for a later flight as our original flight was canceled. Finally I got through to an agent who could help me. He reissued tickets on a flight that worked. I was so relieved. When we got to the airport to start our honeymoon, the check in attendant let me know that the Expedia agent had issued my husband's ticket correctly and mine incorrectly and I did not have a ticket for the flight, although I had been charged for one and had a confirmation number and everything. I will never use Expedia again. It is not worth it. I am so sad and disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

Booked a direct flight, hotel suite room and car package on my trip to Omaha Nebraska in June. The airline changed my direct flight to a layover flight and when I arrived to my hotel I was assigned a basic room. I called Expedia and after 3 hours on hold, I decided to use their virtual agent. Virtual software kept on circling back, and after numerous attempts got to a real agent that only gave me the runaround and no real resolution. My room situation never got fixed and never received a refund. This was in June and it's now September and haven't heard back from anyone. In addition, I never got a refund on the difference from direct to layover flight either. I would not recommend Expedia to anyone!!! One of the most useless customer service I've experienced.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I am trying to book a trip. I used their website and I booked an accessible room. My husband is in a wheelchair. I called the hotel to confirm and they said I did not book an accessible room. To change it I have to go through Expedia. I have called 7 times. Explained the situation EVERY time. They promised every time. I would get either a text, call or email within 24 hours confirming that they switched us to an accessible room. The only communication we received was an email canceling our hotel reservation. I asked to speak to a manager, I asked if a manager could call me back and nothing. Instead I keep getting transferred to another dept. And each time it's at least an hour on the phone. Definitely will not be using them again.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

So, my wife and I book our rental car through Expedia on our last trip to Brazil. We arrived to the rental car agency approximately 1 hour after our scheduled arrival. We were subsequently refused the vehicle by the rental agency and told our reservation was cancelled. We were told that we could reschedule through Expedia. So, we called Expedia while standing in the agency lobby. We were told they couldn't reschedule or cancel the reservation. We asked for a refund because we were not receiving the service we paid for.

A few days later we received an email that they couldn't reach the agency, which we never had any problem doing, and therefore were refusing to issue a refund. I spoke with a representative at Expedia that agreed that we had not violated their policy, but was still refusing to issue a refund. So even though we did everything the way we were suppose to, Expedia still refused to stand by their own policy and issue a refund. Safe to say I will neither use Expedia again, nor will I ever recommend it to anyone other than the people I hate.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I purchased a round trip from NYC to Athens, Greece on Expedia and while in Athens, I called Expedia to change my return ticket in order to extend my stay. The agent I spoke to found a trip for a small additional charge, collected my payment information and completed my booking (supposedly). I received a confirmation email of the booking as promised. The day before my return flight, I realized I could not check in, as my flight was operated by a different airline and so the booking reference I had received would not work. I logged in to my Expedia account and only found my original return trip and not the updated one, so I contacted Expedia through the live chat and spoke to an agent, who after looking into it, reassured me that everything was in order. I asked for the ticket number to check in, and he told me that it was not available to him because of the rebooking.

I got to the airport the next day to be told that there was no ticket in my name and after looking into it, the airline representative explained that Expedia made a booking but did not get the ticket issued. I called Expedia and explained the urgency of the situation as I had only 45 minutes left to check my luggage, expressed my frustration and my need to get to that flight to get to NYC as planned (there were available tickets for the same flight). The agent started “looking into it” asking me questions on things I had already explained, which delayed the process by at least 30 minutes. He confirmed that there were available seats but that they were very expensive(!), to which I replied that I am entitled to a ticket regardless of the cost, since the error was made by Expedia and I needed to get what I paid for.

He put me on hold trying to connect with the ticketing team. I stayed on hold for a while, running out of time, and when he told me that he was still trying to get through to them, I told him that I needed immediate service. His only suggestion is that I buy a new ticket myself, which I found outrageous to do considering the service I had received. Our call either got disconnected or was purposely interrupted (most likely), after approximately 30 minutes of wasted time, in extreme emotional distress. Nobody called me back, even though the agent kept claiming that he was working on getting the issue resolved. Let me add here that I was at the airport with my parents, whom I see once a year, of older age, exposed to a crowded airport during the pandemic, due to this situation caused by Expedia.

I called back 7 times without success. I missed my flight while talking to the 2nd agent who also kept reassuring me that she was working on getting the issue resolved. The only suggestions I got was to get rebooked for the following day or purchase a new ticket. All times I was put on hold and the call was either ended or dropped. When I asked to be called back if the line got disconnected, nobody did so. I also asked to speak to a supervisor and I was also put on hold without getting through to anyone. In the end, as I needed to get back to NYC on the same day, I decided to purchase a new ticket directly from an airline and I was able to return to NYC. That happened over 3 weeks ago and I am still to receive a refund, which I think it would be the minimum acceptable compensation, even though I do think I should be also compensated for the wasted time and emotional distress I went through.

I have contacted Expedia at least 5 times via the live chat and without exaggerating, I spent 5-6 hours on hold at times. Each agent goes through the history which takes at least 30 minutes(!) every time. Twice the agent left the chat before helping me(!) and I had to start from the beginning with a different agent. At the moment I have been on hold for almost 3 weeks, after have been promised that I will have an answer to my refund request within 2 weeks. I find it outrageous that Expedia did not issue a refund (and an apology) immediately, considering they were well aware of the situation before I even returned, and has not even given me a definite answer yet, because my ticket was non-refundable by the airline, and they are trying to avoid covering the cost. Its customer service is absolutely unacceptable, unprofessional, inefficient and unreliable.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Wouldn’t even give a star. Expedia is the worst. I wouldn't refer any friends, family, coworkers or business partners to go through Expedia. Hi set truth I’ve never had such a horrible experience in my life and for this being the first and only time I’ve ever used Expedia it’s ridiculous. We paid for a rental through Expedia this is how it went.

1: You needed a credit card not bank card a master card to even get the vehicle, not listed anywhere in the Expedia things we signed. 2: We didn’t even get the vehicle we paid for. 3: They had us on hold every day for over a month transferring to this department and that department and don’t forget the 7-8 hour long waits just to get through to someone that has an actual mind and body not an automated one. 4: Kept telling us that they couldn’t refund us we had to call the rental car place to cancel and the car place kept saying cancel with Expedia where we originally made the reservation.

5: Today I was refunded from July 12, 2021 which was seriously ridiculous because the rental reservation I made was to attend my parents funeral and no compassion or I’m sorry during the entire time I’ve tried to get my refund of 620$. Ain’t that something. Never ever in my life will I use Expedia. I don’t even know why they're still open and offering assistance when they don’t even care about their customers.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

Expedia totally ignores the customers when it comes to Cancellation or providing Refund amount. Absolutely 0% coordination and I'm totally disappointed with my recent experience. I will never use Expedia for booking flights or hotels in future.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I was kept on the phone 1 hour and 20 minutes by one of your people to change a booking for me. They put me on hold five or more times for as long as 15 minutes at a time. To add insult to injury, the final result of all this aggravation was that she mistakenly changed my booking so that when I arrived at my departure airport to return home, I discovered she had made the booking in reverse (from home to my departure airport) instead. There were no other flights out that could get me home in time for my daughter’s first day of high school. I had to book a new flight the next morning and incurred an additional night of hotel fare and dinner.

When I called customer service to complain about this terrible experience and be credited the mistaken flight and hopefully the extra night of hotel too, I had to explain the whole story 5 time. Each time I was told by the agent that they were the wrong department and would forward my call to the right person. After just over an hour I was hung up on with nobody addressing my situation or attempting to make it right. Worst customer service experience ever...bar none.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

***Its only consumers who are suffering throughout the world in the name of DUE TO COVID*** Until 2020 they had their call centers in Canada and the agents were able to help clients very well. Since the time they have transferred their call center to Egypt with limited accessibility, they are not able to help us at all. Canadian customer care agent agreed and obtained pre-approval from the BA for converting my Travel Credit to a Travel Voucher but it was never claimed by Expedia as per BA (British Airways). BA said, "If Expedia call us then we will issue the voucher." But Expedia Egypt is stick on to their rules under which they do not want to call BA. If this would have been Expedia Canada then they would have got an approval from their manager and got it sorted.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

We were informed by e-mail by Expedia, on 6:28 pm on the very day of our arrival to our holiday in Croatia, that the property we booked and paid for few weeks in advance could not honor our reservation. We tried to call Expedia on the number that was provided, but were not able to reach anyone as the number only works if called from the US. We did not receive a useful reply to our e-mail either, just a vague message that the case number has been created to track our problem. Other numbers on the website did not lead to a human person, and automatic robot-messaging customer support was completely useless. We tried booking another property through Expedia app. That didn't work either, after payment page on the website there was a message that second property was unavailable. But to add to our misery, money was fully charged on the credit card.

In the end were left stranded on our arrival to Croatia, with a small kid, without accommodation. We spent the first night illegally, in the hotel rooms of our friends that were there at the same time, by sheer coincidence. Three weeks after the event we were still not contacted by Expedia to resolve "the case number **". We were not refunded the original payment for the accommodation nor the second one we tried to make as an alternative. All in all a horrible experience and appalling support from Expedia. I am/was a frequent user of Expedia and a platinum member for almost two decades.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I had to cancel a flight. The tickets I purchased through Expedia allowed this. It has been over 45 days and I am getting the run around. These were international business class tickets. I spoke with the airline. They agree I am entitled my refund through Expedia. Somehow Expedia cannot contact the airline. Email, phone calls, virtual agents, real agents - all will not help. I get the same excuse. Do yourself a favor, do not use Expedia. They take your money quickly, but if you are entitled to a refund, you will be waiting a long time.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

Long story short, after this one middle man service I'm short 2500$ and have nightmares about returning my kid from Europe. And Guess what - it's all my fault! All airlines hate them for horrible service! SKIP AND AVOID BY ALL MEANS!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

So I was given a credit for a cancelled flight from LAX to PHL recently as I had to reschedule return trip. Curiously enough, it has not shown up under My Account in Expedia Web so far. I yesterday was prompted to talk to a live agent on their Support Chatroom when I wanted to use it for my next flight to LAX. The agent came up with a flight $500 more expensive than the flight I found on my next trip to LAX, telling me I owe the balance of $500, after $300 of credit was applied, meaning, I would be stuck paying $886 instead of $386 for the flight I found if I wanted to use my credit of $300. Agent said flight options were limited if credit was to be used.

Then today the live agent on their phone number is clueless of what I am talking about, circling around and repeating himself without resolving the issue. I spent this morning one hour on the phone with him, without any resolution. Why can't Expedia give the credit to My Account in their web, so I can use it at my convenience. Having to visit LAX from PHL multiple times over a short period of time, at times making last minute changes of reservation, due to unexpected parental illness, is stressful enough. Frustrating and feeling betrayed.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

My Friends and I tried to book a hotel room for Saturday May 29th on our phone while en route to Portland ME. We entered May 29th and the date defaulted to June 5th. We booked the hotel and an hour later when we went to check in we realized it was booked for the 5th. We called to cancel and were assured it was canceled only to be billed for it anyway. After much back and forth Expedia refused to refund the credit card $728.13. NEVER USING THEM AGAIN.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

We used Expedia to book a room at a hotel with trip protection. We had an issue where we had to cancel our plans well enough in advance but Expedia made it impossible to reach someone that could help. We called, we sent emails, and we followed Expedia's customer service requests. They asked us to contact the hotel, we did, and the hotel told us to contact Expedia because they were the only ones that could help us because they have our money. Expedia purposefully creates a catch 22 so they don't have to refund your money for services they never provided. I will never use Expedia and highly advise others to never use them too.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

The hotel I booked as a single mom with a small child reeked of pot and sex. I declined it when my son said he couldn't breathe in that smell. Expedia charged the hotel didn't. Room sold to a guy waiting in the hall. Expedia refuses to refund claiming the hotel refuses. A second room we rented had a white sticky, spermish looking substance in the bathroom and around the sink and moldy ceiling falling down, dirty sheets, wet mattress and sheets. The room smelled like a dead body was tucked away and smoked as it was decomposing. Dead bugs and people smoking in the room next to us. This is what Expedia sells for 300 dollars a night in Virginia Beach, Florida, and Arizona.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I have been told to get a Drs. Letter for a refund for my 8 year old granddaughter, as she has Asthma and her allergist said with the Delta variant it's not a safe place (Disney World) right now to go. I sent in the documents as requested and they never sent it to the airlines as I spoke to United and verified that. They want you to rebook with them and make money and only gave me a couple months to use the voucher...this is horrible and never even got a callback after I was told I would!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

Hi, Let me get to the point. In looking at all these Expedia reviews, most of them are when everything goes as planned. But what about when a customer has issues? How does Expedia handle it? I booked and paid for studio (sleeps 6). When I got to the hotel, the hotel didn't have what I asked and they put me a a room that sleeps 4. The hotel acknowledges that there is an error. They told me to talk to Expedia to resolve the issue. I spoke to Expedia and they tell me to talk to the hotel. Basically everyone is pointing finger at each other. The studio was more expensive than the room they gave me. I will no longer be using Expedia and will block Expedia sites from my browser.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

We booked a trip through Expedia and even bought "trip insurance". Flights were cancelled. But after more than a year trying, we have unable to use our "credit" or even get a refund. Expedia makes up all kinds of reasons and says they'll get back with us then doesn't- has now become non-responsive. We later discovered we are not alone in this experience, so many similar complains found online. Wish we had known that before booking with Expedia. How can a company of this stature in the U.S. just take your money and be unaccountable?!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I booked a reservation through Expedia for 2 night stay in PA. After driving 9.5 hours and arriving at ~9:45 PM I discover there is NO HOTEL! There are 2 structures there but they operate as a rooming house for longer term residents and NOT as a HOTEL. They had ceased hotel operations between the time I made the booking (April) and my arrival (August), but no one informed me that I no longer had a reservation. (I called Expedia's number - 866-310-5768 - and was informed by the person I spoke with that Expedia KNEW it no longer existed as a hotel.)

I was stuck 9.5 hours from home at almost 10 PM and ALMOST ALL OF THE HOTELS IN THE AREA WERE FULLY BOOKED. After much searching a Hampton Inn in the area knew some other operations and spent about 15-30 minutes on the phone for me checking hotels. We FINALLY found one for only 1 night (I needed 2) that cost more for ONE night than my TWO night original location. And that ONE night was all that was available. I would have to continue my search for another room somewhere else the next day.

Then there is the question of the credit card I provided. Expedia told me the hotel had my credit card info at the time of booking. The current operators stated they no longer have those records, but to contact Expedia to see what the former operators would do with them. But why, since Expedia acknowledged to me that they knew was no longer a hotel operation before my trip, didn't Expedia contact me to let know so I didn't get stranded? And what of my credit card info?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Was looking for a room tonight 8 16 21. After hitting book room dates were changed to the 30th. Why would I book a room 2 weeks out on Expedia. I am a trucker. I staying a room every other night. Now they cannot change the reservation or give me a refund. I paid with my credit card. I will dispute the charges. I have no idea where I will be on the 30th of August.

Expedia Company Information