3.45/5

Looking for a travel site?

Alitalia

Looking for a travel site?

Alitalia Reviews

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I bought an Alitalia ticket (which said economy), and I called and confirmed with Alitalia customer service that economy tickets included a checked bag. The customer service representative confirmed that I had a checked bag. When I arrived at the airport, they refused to check my bag unless I paid $60 each way. Obviously, it was too late at that point to pack a carry-on so I was forced to pay an extra $240 dollars ($120 round trip for myself and my boyfriend) for our bags.

They told me I had a "light" ticket, but it didn't say that on my ticket anywhere. They said that economy tickets included a bag, but light tickets did not – but again, it did NOT say light anywhere. Alitalia outright lied to us and overcharged us for the bags. I contacted them immediately after the incident on September 20, 2019, and the automated email noted that they would respond to us within 30 days. It's now 46 days later and I'm still waiting for a resolution…avoid Alitalia at all costs. The airline is full of lying customer service reps and is a total SCAM.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I recently had a horrible experience with this airline. I went to Italy on a prepaid vacation the day after my grandmother had passed away. I was told that given the circumstances, we would be able to change our return flight with no penalty so that we could be back in the US for her funeral services. First, Alitalia demanded proof of the death, so we went them the obituary (which I am listed in) as well as a signed letter from the funeral director confirming the identities of myself, my grandmother and the dates of the funeral services. This was sent to Alitalia. They said this wasn't enough, and demanded the death certificate. This was sent to them promptly. They then stated that it did not prove the relationship to my grandmother since we do not have the same last name. I pointed out to them that it would not be possible for me to have the same last name as my maternal grandmother, but they stated that I would need a certificate proving the relationship.

No such certificate exists. When I pushed them to tell me the title of the certificate I would need to obtain, they were unable to specify this. We had to pay the change fee, but I plan to pursue this via the Attorney General in order to get it refunded. I would never fly on this airline again and would never recommend it to anyone else. They made a sad situation even more stressful than it had to be. I provided everything that they asked for without complaint, and after putting me through all of that they still refused to waive the change fee. They are not to be trusted and I will never use them again.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

August 28 2019 I was traveling with a disabled step mother and a child with scoliosis from Athens, Greece to Malta (AZ 717) with a change in Rome (flight AZ 884). Alitalia Confirmation UXPKMM. The flight from Athens to Rome was delayed 2 hours and as a result we missed our connection flight (AZ884) from Rome to Malta and had to spend 9 hours 40 minutes in Rome instead of 2 hours 25 minutes (were put on the flight AZ 886 instead). The explanation I got when I complained about such a huge unexpected layover in Rome from Alitalia was: “Our records show flight AZ717 was delayed due to the late arrival of the incoming aircraft due to crew rest. Under EU Regulation EC 261/2004 (Art. 5.3 and Recital 14) the carrier does not assume liability when flights are delayed due to “extraordinary circumstances”.

WHAT “EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES”?!?!?! Earthquake? Tornado? Wind? Rain “cats and dogs” so the other Alitalia flight was so delayed that the crew had to rest? I do not recall any of the above mentioned disasters happened. Or it is just a conspiracy way to trick customer for not reimbursing/helping/accommodating them when most likely the delay happened because of the technical issues with the planes and it is Alitalia fault for which they should answer? So, Asking again: WHAT “EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES”?!?!

Continuation: Upon arrival to Rome We we NOT OFFERED neither help with disabled person (it is quite difficult to sit in the chair for 9 hours 40 min!!!), neither phone call, no food coupons as required by Under EU Regulation EC 261/2004 (Art. 5.3 and Recital 14), though we talked to the representatives in the disabled "lounge" upon arrival in Rome asking what we could be offered to help us go through the 9 hours plus of the delay (Just to mention, I paid higher price for the tickets to spend as little time during the layover as possible and ended up with 9 hours?). To help my child with scoliosis and disabled step mother go through this horrible not planned delay I purchased 2 entry passes (50.00 USD each) to the business class lounge assuming that would solve two problems: food and provide comfort in seating/laying flat in the lounge for two sick persons (one elderly one minor).

If I were to go to the restaurants to feed all three of us I am sure during 9 hours 40 minutes layover we will spend way more than 100.00 combined (and I do not even ask to reimburse anything for myself). Of course I complained about the delay and applied for 100.00 USD paid for the 2 passes (only 2, not 3!! Only for disabled 66 years old woman and 15 years old child with scoliosis! And here is the answer I received from Alitalia: "depending on the length of the delay, the airline is required to provide the necessary care and assistance as phone call, meals and refreshments, or reimburse the expenses for meals and beverages based on the relevant receipts. However, we regret to advise that the complimentary access to VIP lounges is not subject to this provision, therefore we are not able to refund the lounge access you purchased at Rome airport”. Looks like Alitalia does not care about its passengers at all only about filling its pockets.

Next: Before the flight In Athens I tried to pay for access weight on line but the Alitalia website got frozen all the time when I got to the point when I was supposed to pay. I was constantly trying for a few hours but could not pay the internet price 28.00 USD per bag versus what I had to pay in the airport 50.18 USD Total 150.54 USD instead of 56.00USD). I made screenshots, filed the complaint (with the submission of the screenshots showing Alitalia website was not working) right away-no answer. I filed the complaint one more time after my trip just to received the following answer: "In regards to the extra baggage request, although we are sorry that our service might have been perceived to be sub-standard on this occasion, we must respectfully deny reimbursement of the fees correctly collected at the airport." So, their website did not work and the passenger has to pay for it?!?! That was number two.

And the last one: One of the bags being checked in was ABSOLUTELY NEW (just purchased) luggage bag and it arrived in Malta WITHOUT one wheel. I tried to file the claim upon arrival in Malta but was refused by representative, claiming that Alitalia instructed not accept claims re damaged wheels. My bag wheel was not not JUST DAMAGED!!! IT WAS GONE!!! And the bag was not overweighted or anything so I insist that was not manufacture's fault but the Alitalia/handler's. Also, upon arrival to the destination point we noticed that my daughter's bag had a broken lock and there are some items missing from her bag. I did file a complaint regarding both issue. The issue with the thing stolen was ignored completely and as for the damaged bag… ignored as well.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Lost my friend's dog, admitted responsibility, promised but never paid a dime. Had heavy handed lawyers claim they owe nothing as they are an airline and cannot be sued. Thus, they lost a customer's dog, knew it was their fault, and did nothing except give the runaround and then try to scare the customer. Screw this airline. Do Italians not care about their pets? Of course they do. Italians are wonderful people. This airline is just **! This airline doesn't care about pets or even other people and other people's pets and their customer's pets. Unbelievable. They should go to jail.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

Every flight boarded passengers late. Every flight and layover I was late to the connecting airport. I was so late for an international connecting flight. I hate to run over a mile to barely make the flight. Then we landed over two hours late. Additionally, Alitalia lost my check in luggage. It was returned to me four days later. I almost lost my job because I had important work documents in my lost luggage. I will never fly Alitalia again and will go out of my way to tell others to never fly with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alitalia?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

I had an terrible experience with Alitalia last month and it ended with damaged luggage. I was supposed to fly with Alitalia on July/2019 on flight 583, and it got canceled. When I booked it I had to pay extra money for convenient time. Without my acceptance, I was put on a flight early in the morning, flight 507, ref#: ** and had to pay for a taxi fare because nobody could give me a ride at three in the morning. And as I got on another leg of my trip, Rome to Boston, on flight 614, my checked in luggage didn't arrive at my destination and when it was returned was damaged. I would like to lodge a complaint concerning the unprofessional behavior of your baggage handlers, and to request full compensation for the luggage that was destroyed. I expect to be compensated for my time, the expense of the taxi fare, and the cost of the luggage.

Original review: July 23, 2019

We flew to Rome in August 2018. Alitalia lost our luggage. We waited for them for 56 hours to deliver our luggage, but they did not. They were rude and did not care at all. Finally on the third day we rented a car and went to pick up the luggage. I will never use them again.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Hi, I Travelled on 30th of June from New Delhi (India) to Washington DC. This is the second time I use this airline because I had a good experience last time. But this time it just worst. It has two Layovers one in Abu Dhabi and another one is in Rome. I especially mentioned Hindu Non-Veg meal. I only get food on my first flight from New Delhi to Abu Dhabi. From Abu Dhabi to Rome flight attendant just offered a snack, while asking for a Hindu meal they said, "We don't have it." And it's a long flight. I was a totally empty stomach.

And the worst part is when I took the last flight from Rome to Washington no one even came for water. When they start giving the food they also don't have the Hindu meal food. They gave me the Beef and we Indians don't eat Beef. Also, they have Pasta in front of me. I returned the Beef and told them, "Can I have the Pasta?" The answer was, "We are out". But they've got it. This is really not so good. I almost did my all the Journey empty stomach. I am a Thyroid Patient. And you guys are doing this with the Passengers. This is really not so good. I travel a lot but this flight no more. Very Very bad Experience with Alitalia.

Original review: June 13, 2019

SkyTeam and Alitalia - beware the flights you choose. I reserved and paid for my family of four through AZ website. I reserved the seats on 3 out of 4 flights. On the first part of the journey I was informed it was not an Alitalia flight and they could not reserve the seat, contact the other carrier (seamless service. Yeah right!!!), contacting the other airline MEA. I could not choose a seat and called them on the phone. They pushed me off to Alitalia again. Alitalia told me it's ''not logical'' and sent me back to MEA. That airline told me "you bought your ticket with AZ so hard luck you cannot reserve any seats and only get them at the check-in"... Quite possible we will not sit together and worse all get the middle seats that no-one wants. Alitalia washed their hands and MEA punishes because we bought on Alitalia.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I paid a huge sum of money for my daughter's trip to Florence on Alitalia. Due to the cost, I paid extreme attention to what was and what was not included in the fare. I have screenshots of each booking page clearly showing what was included in the fare - in particular a 1 x 23 kg suitcase. I was also clearly shown on my booking confirmation that I had printed and took with me to the airport. Upon check-in I'm told there is a $60 fee for the suitcase. I said on "no it's included and here is my confirmation clearly showing it's included". I'm promptly told that I've been "misinformed". Really?? Misinformed in writing by the airline that I purchased the ticket from?? Misinformed by the screenshot of my booking pages showing that a suitcase was included in the fare??

I had no choice but to pay it in order to get my daughter on her way but immediately contacted Alitalia customer service. I was told to email them which I did and included my confirmation and screenshots. I get an automated response telling me it could take up to 30 days for them to review my claim. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I feel I have been scammed. It's a statistics game. Out of every 100 people incorrectly charged probably less than 50% follow through with a claim - money in their pockets. No doubt I'll have to go through the entire process again when my daughter returns. I truly regret purchasing this flight and will NEVER fly Alitalia again. Stick to Lufthansa or Swiss Air.

Alitalia Company Information