2. Travel
  3. Airlines

4.0/5 (270 ratings)

About Alitalia

Alitalia Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alitalia?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alitalia?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

Updated on 09/16/2021: Got tickets to Rome in February of 2020, and than Italy was closed due to Covid 19. Was trying to refund my tickets, was told I can get only vouchers, but may be in a year, refund, 18 month passed, I still do not have money on my credit card, it is impossible to get through calling their customer support, you would hear bad music and horrible advertisement for hours, but email to their Customer support will recommend only to call same not responsive number. Horrible customer service.

Original Review: Alitalia is The most unreliable company ever. Rude, not helpful customer service, was trying to get money back for tickets during Covid 19 situation, when Italy was closed. They would say anything, just to not do it, wait time for a call can be up to 5-6 hours, and when they will pickup do not expect any help.

Original review: July 26, 2021

I purchased tickets for a direct flight from JFK to Milan and they cancelled that flight without notification. I knew this happened because my family had an earlier flight and were also never told until they found out by calling for seating reservation. So I called multiple times and was yelled at, hung up on and told there was nothing I could do about it. There were absolutely no alternatives. As it turns out Alitalia will be out of business in October 2021 and their new name will be ITA. That's why they don't give a ** and I don't think have any outstanding credits will be honored. I will NEVER give ITA a chance either. What disgustingly rude people they have working for them. I have such despise for the company and I haven't even flown with them yet. This is just customer service.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Honestly speaking, it genuinely infuriates me to think about Alitalia. To me, this is the worst European air company: unreliable, disrespectful to customers and finally, a real fraud. Let’s be more specific. Last year, Alitalia canceled my flight from Bologna to Palermo (via Roma) without any replacement offers. I completed a form required by Alitalia for a refund and 11/20/20 they sent me email, that Alitalia issued a refund to my credit card account for e-ticket (RFND NBR:**; Ticket Refunded: **).

However, this refund was never sent to my Bank. I checked with the Bank a couple of times and then, sent email to Alitalia customer service. In response, I immediately got auto-reply email requiring calling their USA customer service. I called Alitalia “USA customer service”, in fact located in Tirana, Albania. They told me that I need to wait for 90 days because there are too many refunds. Fine! In 4 months I sent a new email and got the same auto-reply. Btw, I've never got any other emails from them - only auto-replies, which were sent from "no-reply" address. I called again to “USA” customer service. This time, a representative assured me that a refund will be sent in 72 hours and he’ll call me about this. As I expected, there were no refund and no call.

In a couple of weeks, I sent another email, got one more auto-reply and called to Albanian (means USA!) Alitalia customer service. This time, a representative listened to my long boring story and… just hung up on me. During last year, as many of us, I’ve experienced a number of flight cancellations. All American and European air companies refunded their cancelled flights, including low-cost ones (like Vueling), but only Alitalia did not fulfill its obligations. This is why Alitalia is to me the worst European air company: unreliable, disrespectful to customers and finally, a real fraud. Definitely, I’ll try my best never to use Alitalia and do not recommend this company to any travelers. Further, I will provide my review for Alitalia online and inform Consumer Affairs to look into these fraudulent dealings

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

Departure flight was OK from Washington To FCO but coming back from FCO to Washington left a bad taste in my mouth. It happened when crew members were collecting the garbage once the passengers were served with food. They hauled the garbage cart so fast and didn’t allow enough time to throw the garbage in the cart. Instead it fell on one of the passengers behind my seat. Without looking into the situation crew member who was hauling the cart start shouting (rudely) as it was my fault. I asked the other crew members to give me his batch ID or name to show my concern to the airline (later on) and surprisingly nobody was willingly to give me a piece of paper and to write his name or his batch ID.

Instead when I took his picture with my cellphone to identify the crew member (for my reference for Alitalia), they called the flight manager who threatened me that he will call the police if I don’t delete the picture as it was a security issue. Giving out the batch ID doesn't supposed to be the security issue which they also denied! Secondly, I was not taking the picture for no reason. I was taking it because all of crew members became uncooperative all of a sudden.

There is a big customer service issue with Alitalia. They should have been looking into the situation why their crew member shouted so loudly and rudely upon me at the first place. Had they not moving the garbage cart so fast my garbage would have not fallen on the other customer. They don’t realize why somebody will throw the garbage on other customer to begin with. Logically, something must had happened that garbage fell on the other customer. Even if It was my fault, the crew member should not shout (whatsoever) on any customer. Rather, they should try to normalize those situations even when they just smell it before their occurrence. I feel myself humiliated by the crew members.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

We were booked on AZ 769 and then further on to AZ 864 from Delhi to Tunis through Rome. We landed in Rome at 0930 Hrs (delayed basis original ETA of 0820 Hrs, understandably due to unavoidable circumstances). AZ864, which was originally supposed to take off at 0830 Hrs. Only took off at 1114 Hrs. However, upon landing in Rome, we were automatically rebooked for AZ 866 at 1625 Hrs, which finally took off at 1800 Hrs. With more than sufficient lead time between flights, and with a lot of other folks being accommodated for flights taking off much earlier (Case in Point: Rome to Paris at 1015 Hrs), our itineraries being rebooked on AZ 866 was completely uncalled for and absurd.

Further, only upon request, we weren’t even provided lounge access but a token coupon offering us a sandwich at a restaurant while enduring 8.5 Hours of mental and physical torture at the airport while sitting in common areas. With a whole day of itinerary wasted, I am appalled at the lackadaisical attitude of your staff and demand a refund of my flight tickets at the least. Expecting a response as soon as possible. While I have already posted this on your Trip Advisor page, I will take this post to other social platforms soon if I see no just response.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Alitalia lost my baggage on a flight from Rome to Delhi. They were however able to find the baggage and delivered it to my hotel on the third day of my holiday in India. I filed a reimbursement form for the expenses incurred for the first 3 days - mainly of toiletries and a change of clothes. After 2 months from the claim, I received an email saying that the refund was denied based on the fact that my permanent residency was India. UH? I am an Australian citizen and also had submitted a copy of my passport with the claim, so... How did they come up with the assessment that I was an Indian resident is extraordinarily inventive!!! Terrible service, never again.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I bought an Alitalia ticket (which said economy), and I called and confirmed with Alitalia customer service that economy tickets included a checked bag. The customer service representative confirmed that I had a checked bag. When I arrived at the airport, they refused to check my bag unless I paid $60 each way. Obviously, it was too late at that point to pack a carry-on so I was forced to pay an extra $240 dollars ($120 round trip for myself and my boyfriend) for our bags.

They told me I had a "light" ticket, but it didn't say that on my ticket anywhere. They said that economy tickets included a bag, but light tickets did not – but again, it did NOT say light anywhere. Alitalia outright lied to us and overcharged us for the bags. I contacted them immediately after the incident on September 20, 2019, and the automated email noted that they would respond to us within 30 days. It's now 46 days later and I'm still waiting for a resolution…avoid Alitalia at all costs. The airline is full of lying customer service reps and is a total SCAM.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I recently had a horrible experience with this airline. I went to Italy on a prepaid vacation the day after my grandmother had passed away. I was told that given the circumstances, we would be able to change our return flight with no penalty so that we could be back in the US for her funeral services. First, Alitalia demanded proof of the death, so we went them the obituary (which I am listed in) as well as a signed letter from the funeral director confirming the identities of myself, my grandmother and the dates of the funeral services. This was sent to Alitalia. They said this wasn't enough, and demanded the death certificate. This was sent to them promptly. They then stated that it did not prove the relationship to my grandmother since we do not have the same last name. I pointed out to them that it would not be possible for me to have the same last name as my maternal grandmother, but they stated that I would need a certificate proving the relationship.

No such certificate exists. When I pushed them to tell me the title of the certificate I would need to obtain, they were unable to specify this. We had to pay the change fee, but I plan to pursue this via the Attorney General in order to get it refunded. I would never fly on this airline again and would never recommend it to anyone else. They made a sad situation even more stressful than it had to be. I provided everything that they asked for without complaint, and after putting me through all of that they still refused to waive the change fee. They are not to be trusted and I will never use them again.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

August 28 2019 I was traveling with a disabled step mother and a child with scoliosis from Athens, Greece to Malta (AZ 717) with a change in Rome (flight AZ 884). Alitalia Confirmation UXPKMM. The flight from Athens to Rome was delayed 2 hours and as a result we missed our connection flight (AZ884) from Rome to Malta and had to spend 9 hours 40 minutes in Rome instead of 2 hours 25 minutes (were put on the flight AZ 886 instead). The explanation I got when I complained about such a huge unexpected layover in Rome from Alitalia was: “Our records show flight AZ717 was delayed due to the late arrival of the incoming aircraft due to crew rest. Under EU Regulation EC 261/2004 (Art. 5.3 and Recital 14) the carrier does not assume liability when flights are delayed due to “extraordinary circumstances”.

WHAT “EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES”?!?!?! Earthquake? Tornado? Wind? Rain “cats and dogs” so the other Alitalia flight was so delayed that the crew had to rest? I do not recall any of the above mentioned disasters happened. Or it is just a conspiracy way to trick customer for not reimbursing/helping/accommodating them when most likely the delay happened because of the technical issues with the planes and it is Alitalia fault for which they should answer? So, Asking again: WHAT “EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES”?!?!

Continuation: Upon arrival to Rome We we NOT OFFERED neither help with disabled person (it is quite difficult to sit in the chair for 9 hours 40 min!!!), neither phone call, no food coupons as required by Under EU Regulation EC 261/2004 (Art. 5.3 and Recital 14), though we talked to the representatives in the disabled "lounge" upon arrival in Rome asking what we could be offered to help us go through the 9 hours plus of the delay (Just to mention, I paid higher price for the tickets to spend as little time during the layover as possible and ended up with 9 hours?). To help my child with scoliosis and disabled step mother go through this horrible not planned delay I purchased 2 entry passes (50.00 USD each) to the business class lounge assuming that would solve two problems: food and provide comfort in seating/laying flat in the lounge for two sick persons (one elderly one minor).

If I were to go to the restaurants to feed all three of us I am sure during 9 hours 40 minutes layover we will spend way more than 100.00 combined (and I do not even ask to reimburse anything for myself). Of course I complained about the delay and applied for 100.00 USD paid for the 2 passes (only 2, not 3!! Only for disabled 66 years old woman and 15 years old child with scoliosis! And here is the answer I received from Alitalia: "depending on the length of the delay, the airline is required to provide the necessary care and assistance as phone call, meals and refreshments, or reimburse the expenses for meals and beverages based on the relevant receipts. However, we regret to advise that the complimentary access to VIP lounges is not subject to this provision, therefore we are not able to refund the lounge access you purchased at Rome airport”. Looks like Alitalia does not care about its passengers at all only about filling its pockets.

Next: Before the flight In Athens I tried to pay for access weight on line but the Alitalia website got frozen all the time when I got to the point when I was supposed to pay. I was constantly trying for a few hours but could not pay the internet price 28.00 USD per bag versus what I had to pay in the airport 50.18 USD Total 150.54 USD instead of 56.00USD). I made screenshots, filed the complaint (with the submission of the screenshots showing Alitalia website was not working) right away-no answer. I filed the complaint one more time after my trip just to received the following answer: "In regards to the extra baggage request, although we are sorry that our service might have been perceived to be sub-standard on this occasion, we must respectfully deny reimbursement of the fees correctly collected at the airport." So, their website did not work and the passenger has to pay for it?!?! That was number two.

And the last one: One of the bags being checked in was ABSOLUTELY NEW (just purchased) luggage bag and it arrived in Malta WITHOUT one wheel. I tried to file the claim upon arrival in Malta but was refused by representative, claiming that Alitalia instructed not accept claims re damaged wheels. My bag wheel was not not JUST DAMAGED!!! IT WAS GONE!!! And the bag was not overweighted or anything so I insist that was not manufacture's fault but the Alitalia/handler's. Also, upon arrival to the destination point we noticed that my daughter's bag had a broken lock and there are some items missing from her bag. I did file a complaint regarding both issue. The issue with the thing stolen was ignored completely and as for the damaged bag… ignored as well.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Lost my friend's dog, admitted responsibility, promised but never paid a dime. Had heavy handed lawyers claim they owe nothing as they are an airline and cannot be sued. Thus, they lost a customer's dog, knew it was their fault, and did nothing except give the runaround and then try to scare the customer. Screw this airline. Do Italians not care about their pets? Of course they do. Italians are wonderful people. This airline is just **! This airline doesn't care about pets or even other people and other people's pets and their customer's pets. Unbelievable. They should go to jail.

Alitalia Company Information