2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.33/5

Alitalia Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alitalia?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alitalia?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have been trying since September to get a document stating I did not take a flight that I had booked. I have sent all the documentation asked of me over and over but after 5 months Alitalia still hasn't sent it. The service is beyond appalling.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I selected a flight (with baggage) on Kayak, offered by Alitalia and was led to an Alitalia webpage, in English, which did not have the baggage as requested on Kayak incorporated into the booking on the Alitalia webpage. There was no way to include the baggage or to go to another page on this webpage to restart/correct the booking as offered on Kayak. In other words the link is broken and you are unable to purchase that which is advertised for sale by Alitalia on Kayak. If you then proceed, as I did, directly to Alitalia.com, as a US resident, using a US IPS address you will find yourself on the Italian webpage.

I tried to negotiate this page using an English/Italian dictionary opened on another browser page, and ended up booking tickets but with the wrong date, which I noticed immediately on receiving the Italian language confirmation. I had assumed that I had the 24 hour mandatory protection to correct such mistakes under US DOT rules for nonrefundable tickets. However, according to Alitalia, as I had "chosen" to purchase the tickets in Italy these US rules did not apply and I was informed that I would have to pay 65 E pp to correct my mistake. A forced error in my book due to offering for sale in the USA tickets which could not actually be purchased here.

I have since filed a complaint with the US DOT about this practice and have rebooked flights on Lufthansa. I have now written off the amount paid to Alitalia for the tickets which are on the wrong date as I refuse to pay an addition E 130 to them to rebook on the correct date due to an error I admittedly made, but due to not being able to book in the USA.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I had a very bad experience with Alitalia, it was my first time I flew with Alitalia from Rome to London on 08th November 2018 inn Alitalia AZ-210 with PNR XIXSXB. I checked in two pieces of baggage and both of them were badly damaged. Filed the complaint at the airport itself. Sent the damage report to Alitalia via email when I arrived at my native place after 10 days since I was on vacation. Alitalia refused to pay the claim as according to them I should have sent the Damage Report within 07 days. It is not a recommended airline to fly with.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Poor performance, negligence and bad-faith. Alitalia AZ715 flight arrived slightly late in Rome, from where I would depart on another Alitalia flight AZ800 to my final destiny. In the connection area (Rome), there was no Alitalia’s correspondents. When I arrived at the AZ800 departure gate, the bus that would take the passengers to the airplane was still at the door and the ground staff affirmed "they were waiting for me and my colleagues”. But then they say "someone" had cancelled my name in the system. It means Alitalia flight AZ715 was late (not me) and their staff denied my embarkation on the bus to the connecting flight AZ800, even though they were waiting for other passengers! Why could Alitalia wait for other passengers but not for me?

After that, they did not offer me the option of the next flight, so that I had to wait for hours at the airport. The staff did not write down the reason of the cancellation/boarding denial, as I demanded. At last, Alitalia called the airport POLICE when I insisted my EU Regulation EC 261/2004 rights should be observed (I should have been given at least a meal and be given access to telephone calls and internet). They threaten me and exposed me in front of all other clients by calling the POLICE only because I demanded respect to my most basic rights!

When I sent my complaint, they not only took 50 days to answer it but also lied: they affirmed that "I had missed" my connecting flight AZ800. Please! The bus with the other passengers was still there and they were waiting for others to arrive: Alitalia simply wrongly cancelled my name on their system and did not have the dignity to admit their error, or offer any assistance or compensation for such mistake. Poor performance, negligence and bad-faith: it was all I have seen in their work.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

If it was possible, Alitalia deserves negative stars. This was, by far, the worst experience I have ever had with an airline, domestic or international. Not only did the airline lose my luggage for my entire trip (and returning my bag and items damaged), but they also treated me with rudeness and disrespect on multiple accounts in person and on the phone. Their workers also clearly are not familiar with any of their policies because I was told multiple pieces false information regarding the lost luggage process.

They ended up costing me hundreds of dollars, which they refused to reimburse even a small portion of that despite the fact I followed their instructions when they concluded my luggage was lost. I was willing to provide them with an opportunity to restore my faith in their services, but it is obvious that they do not care one bit about their customers. Not only am I never flying with Alitalia again, but I also would strongly advise choosing another airline. I hope that no traveler has to experience the stress and loss that Alitalia put me through. Stay as far away from this airline as you can!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I tried to book tickets from their website on 18 July 2018. Everything was going alright until after the payment being complete. The website glitched and never gave me my ticket. I tried to contact them and they said the money will be refunded that week, and then it didn't and it became "In some days" and then it's been a month and they say they "released" the money and "unblocked" it but my money was never being held on provision or anything like that. My money was fully drawn from my account and I have proof of this. And every time I tell them I can prove them that money was completely drawn from my account and ask for their proof they go silent!

Original review: July 16, 2018

I booked a trip on Alitalia non-stop to Rome to go to the Amalfi Coast for August 2018. We booked the trip November 2017. My wife discovered she was pregnant in January of 2018. It was going to be our babymoon but she gave birth 3 months early at 26 weeks. My baby daughter will be in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit until the end of September fighting for her life. We have to be there for our daughter both for kangaroo care and because my wife has to pump breast milk for survival and proper development of our severely premature daughter. Alitalia said the tickets are not transferable, not refundable and not able to be postponed. They said the only way they would reimburse us is if my daughter was DEAD. Are you kidding me? This is a disgusting and emotionally detached company. Please never use them, I know I never will again! I hope this airline folds. $1,600. Pathetic.

Original review: July 9, 2018

This airline is terrible! Their airplanes are ancient, the seats are not only narrow but super uncomfortable (lumpy and ill-proportioned), and don’t let me get started on the staff who, with very few exceptions, were rude when they were not being condescending. A horrible experience I won’t be repeating!

Original review: July 8, 2018

I approached Alitalia to get refund for my ticket as I have a medical condition raised 6 days before traveling to Japan. They refuse to refund my ticket and saying exciting condition> My condition is not exciting and they are worst to respond and also worst to travel with.

Original review: June 29, 2018

In October, 2017, I purchased a premium economy ticket on Alitalia Airlines for a June, 2018 flight from Miami to Rome and selected my seat to sit next to my family. The day before the flight, I tried to check in online and was advised to see an agent at the airport. At the airport, the agent downgraded me to coach due to the flight being oversold. I was not able to sit with my family but I was told I would receive 75% back on my ticket. It is now been almost a month, three emails and two phone calls to Alitalia later, with no result/response or apology other than it is under review. To add insult to injury, the flight was horrible - extremely rude flight attendants, uncomfortable seats, non-working tv monitor and dirty airplane. The reason for this review should be obvious - I want Alitalia to compensate me as they agreed and, although I don't see it happening, an apology would be appreciated.

Alitalia Company Information