2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.94/5

Alamo Car Rental is a car rental agency with locations throughout the United States. Features include online check-in and discounts for Alamo Insiders members. With the Drive Happy app, customers can create and modify car rental reservations. The company also offers car seat rental, GPS navigation, Sirius XM and ski racks.

Alamo Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

We rented a car with possible change of return. When we called to change drop off of vehicle (90 min difference in location) we were told it would be a $400 dollar difference. They were unwilling to change any issues in the system. We were told being done by computer rather than in person or by phone there was nothing they could do. Seems ridiculous by using automated systems we are punished for handling it ourselves from beginning. If we wanted we could go one hour and a half out of our way to return our vehicle, get another at a day rate and continue on to our destination one and a half hour again rather than simply do paperwork by phone. We were held hostage to a computer transactions and they really didn’t care. So for us lesson learned and will return to enterprise where we have done one way drop off without the huge cost increase or headache with no resolution. No Alamo for us again.

Alamo Car Rental response

Cherie, I'm sorry our service did not meet your expectations. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Denver Int'l Airport location. When renting the vehicle, I was directed to use the kiosk provided for a quicker rental experience, since I had pre-reserved my vehicle. Two of the four kiosks were out of service, and no one was helping customer use the NON-customer-friendly kiosks. After waiting longer than if I'd stood in line, the kiosk rejected my information and I had to wait in line longer than if I'd just stayed in line in the first place.

Day 2 of my rental, the car key was lost. It had no Alamo tag on it, nor any kind of marking indicating the key was to an Alamo rental. After thoroughly searching the grocery store in which it was lost, I called Alamo roadside assistance. They informed me that they would be sending a tow truck with "lockout service" so if the key was found in the vehicle, it would not have to be towed. If it had to be towed, then I could go to any Alamo location the next day for a replacement vehicle (which, of course would be at a higher rate than the original, since I'd booked it at a discounted rate to begin with.)

The tow truck driver opened the car and the key was not in it. The car was then towed back to Alamo location at about 6:30 that evening. An hour after the tow, I had a call from a second tow truck that they were on their way. I dismissed him, and called Alamo back, to let them know and to see what my next steps should be. They said that someone "from the branch location" would be contacting me "directly", "as soon as the vehicle was checked in" so I could close the contract and pay any outstanding charges.

Over the next two days, I have called the local DIA location more than five times, only to be told by their call center that the DIA location "must be swamped with customers" or the call would have been answered by someone at that location, and NOT re-directed to a call center. I asked if there was any way to expedite resolution of the problem, and they said "no", that I just needed to wait for them to call me back. I have received no call back from them. My trip ends tomorrow.

Their phone system says that the DIA location is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. After 5 calls and 52 hours of waiting, I called thinking that 7:30 pm would be more available and I might actually be able to talk to someone at the DIA location to resolve the issues. The phone system said that I had called "after business hours." and would need to call back tomorrow.

I am leaving Denver tomorrow morning and will stop at the Alamo location on my way to the airport to try and resolve the issue and close the contract. When I mentioned this situation to a few friends who travel frequently on business, their expressions and their responses were such that I wished I had consulted them before booking the reservation. I wish I had known the poor customer service reputation of this company sooner, because now I am expecting a very long wait, and a VERY costly resolution to this service.

Alamo Car Rental response

Justine, I'm sorry to hear our service did not meet your expectations this time around. We would like to speak with you further. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

I picked up the car in Dallas and returned it 4 days later. There was no one there to check me in. I had to hunt someone down. A few months later, I get a bill for over $1400 for damage. WHAT? They sent a picture who knows when it was taken and told me that I had done the damage. I asked them to pull the video of my return, because it did not happen when I was driving the car. They told me that they had reviewed my case and I owed them the money. They will not call me nor will they pull the video. NEVER USE THIS COMPANY!

Alamo Car Rental response

Jennifer, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Alamo.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. We look forward to hearing from you soon! - Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

When arriving to pick up vehicle the computer system was down. After 30 minutes I asked what was the cancellation fee. I was told by the employee that there was no cancellation fee. After renting from another company I called Alamo to cancel the vehicle and they charged me $50 and informed me they would not reimburse me for the fee even though their system was down. Very dishonest company.

Alamo Car Rental response

Timothy, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

On Wednesday Oct 7, 2020, I drove the rental from Richmond Airport to Dulles Airport in 3 hours, stopping for gas at the Dulles Airport. Upon arrival the agent inspected the car for damage as they always do, but this time he climbed to the roof and pointed to a dimple the size of a nickel. At first I thought he was joking until I received a damage claim from their "Damage Recovery Unit". I'm 76 and have rented cars for 50 years and never witnessed anything like this. Either Alamo has outsourced this responsibility and the agents are incentivised to file claims or Alamo is perpetrating this directly. I'm sure this scam has been pulled on hundreds if not thousands of customers or maybe they go after senior citizens. I believe this warrants an investigation by the Consumer Affairs Division in the State of Virginia.

Alamo Car Rental response

John, thank you for your honest review. We certainly always want your experience to be smooth and worry free. All damage claims are handled by our Damage Recovery Unit. Please contact that team directly at 1-866-300-3239 or by email at CustomerClaimConcern@ehi.com. Thank you! – Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

Never ever rent from Alamo. I just had a rental for 5 days and just received a recovery damage claim. I drove the car safely for all of the days with no issues or unsafe driving. No damage was present upon return of the vehicle. I am quite upset with your customer care who hung up on me and your damage recovery unit who also hung on me for seeking further information. I should have read the reviews ahead of time. Thank you for the inconvenience and rest assure I will never rent from you again.

Alamo Car Rental response

Matthew, your feedback is important in maintaining and improving service and satisfaction for all our valued customers. We would like to discuss your experience with us in more detail. Please email us at care@alamo.com with your contact information, reservation or rental agreement number, and any additional details. Thank you. -Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

Received an excessive €125 cleaning fee upon return of the car. A simple vacuum of the floors is all that would’ve been required. Cleaning cost not stipulated in any term & conditions. Feels like an easy way to charge excessive fees. I travel to Split at least twice per year and will avoid Alamo in the future.

Alamo Car Rental response

William, thank you for your review. If you would like to speak with us further, please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number and the details of your experience stated above. We are happy to lend a hand. - Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

Rented car for 3 days. Mini van wasn’t ready they were still cleaning it. It was the only one on the lot. When returning car, the lady went straight to windshield and started making circles asking if we had hail damage? NO hail damage during my rental but Got phone call from Hawaii # about hail damage, when trying to return their call she then text me she’s off work and can text her instead and still haven’t heard back!! Stay away!! Do not rent!! Unprofessional!!!

Alamo Car Rental response

Edna, , I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations we would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

On July 13 2020, I flew into the Chicago O'Hare airport from Seattle, Wa. It would be the 5th time, I've rented a car from Alamo. I previously went through a divorce, and unfortunately had to use my Debit cards to rent a vehicle. From the 1st time I rented one, I called customer service to make sure my card would be accepted as a form of payment. The agent assured me that it's an acceptable form of payment as long as I provide a return itinerary.

It's always a different story in person. Every agent that I've dealt with in person, has always encountered an issue with my forms of payment even when I provide proof of a previous rental showing that I've used the exact same card. My last encounter with Alamo was the absolute worst! The agent(s) that I dealt with would not accept my form of payment that I used on my previous rental. Even after providing proof as well as the Business card from an Alamo manager who took my payment with no issues! I was stuck at the rental agency for 5 hours! The agent kept swiping my card and my account froze. I not only had to call customer service to un freeze my account, as well as get in a cab to deposit money into my Chime bank card.

They wouldn't take my Key Bank debit card, but they took my Chime card which I was told from a previous agent that Alamo does not accept prepaid cards. I have spent well over a 1000 dollars with this agency from renting and also extending my rentals. I am even an Alamo insider member. Unfortunately that doesn't matter because I lost 5hrs of my business trip and almost lost my job due to the inconvenience the agents at Alamo caused me.

Alamo Car Rental response

Dara, I'm sorry to hear that our service didn't live up to your expectations this time. I assure you your business is very important to us. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

All car choices smelled like an ashtray. We tried three cars. Then after spending an extra $10 on odor spray the manager said we cracked the grill. The claim was dismissed by the photo and the investigator.

Alamo Car Rental response

Barbara, we appreciate it when customers tell us about their experiences. If we can help out, please email care@alamo.com with the details above, your contact information, our office location, and your rental agreement or reservation numbers. Thank you. – Carol H.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information