2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.8/5 (1309 ratings)

About Alamo Car Rental

Alamo Car Rental is a car rental agency with locations throughout the United States. Features include online check-in and discounts for Alamo Insiders members. With the Drive Happy app, customers can create and modify car rental reservations. The company also offers car seat rental, GPS navigation, Sirius XM and ski racks.

Pros

• Easy reservations
  • Discounts available
  • Online check-in
  • Mobile app

Cons

• May charge fees for drivers under 25
  • Credit card required

Bottom Line

Alamo rents cars, SUVs, trucks and vans all over the world. Customers can create, modify and cancel reservations online. Alamo offers some discounts but typically charges an extra fee for drivers under 25 years of age.

Alamo Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Original review: July 27, 2021

I reserved a car over 3 months ago and it was supposed to be $972. Our family vacation plans changed and I needed to turn in the car closer and 2 days sooner. I was charged $1,000 to do so and Sumbo (customer service agent I spoke with emp ID: **) was VERY RUDE and unhelpful. It’s not that I mind price adjustments/changes but I feel that charging me $1,000 to turn a car in sooner and thousands of miles closer is basically robbery on the company’s part. Unfair. And I was told the $1000 was because I’m returning to BWI (Baltimore airport) and not to San Antonio, TX anymore. My pick-up location being New York. They basically canceled my reservation and made a new one so I’d be charged the weekly rental today as if I’m reserving last minute. My aunt rented from another company and there was no fee for changes. I plan to submit this review everywhere possible because it’s not right! My first and LAST time using Alamo.

Alamo Car Rental response

Lisa, we are constantly looking for ways to improve our services and believe that we can through listening to our customers' experiences. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: July 23, 2021

DO NOT USE ALAMO EVER! Long story short they made me, my young children and my 84 year old grandmother wait well over two hours to find the car we reserved and we left with a completely different one and when promised they would compensate me for the trouble they actually ended up charging me MORE than what I had originally signed for!!! Please read on for the entire disastrous experience!!! I am absolutely appalled!!!

So my mother in law and I rented two cars for seven days spending more than $1500 to do so. We reserved them months in advance. I specifically rented a mini van and did so well in advance because I was certain the specific type of child restraint system my daughter requires works in a mini van seat. Well upon arriving to the West Palm Beach location and after hours on a flight with my very young children and 84 year old grandmother we wait to be checked out. First they completely contradict what we had been told on the phone about being able to pay for both vehicles on one credit card, which presented a huge issue. Then after waiting over half an hour for our cars they arrive. I spend over 20 minutes trying to install the special restraint system my daughter requires as well as the regular car seats. My grandmother gets in the car, get the kids strapped in and we go to leave.

At the check out booth we are stopped and the employee says, "I'm sorry, you can't leave in this car. The plates are expired." She tells us to pull over to the side. I do and continue to wait for over 20 minutes. I then go back to her and she says, "I am waiting for someone to bring another van." We continue to wait and after 45 mins ask again the employee says she is going to check herself. A while longer goes by and she comes back saying they have no vans left. At this point I'm panicking, we had a reservation to catch and were already severely late for it. My children are losing their minds and starving having been well over 7 hours since they last ate. And I have no idea what I'm going to do because I don't know if my daughter's restraint system will work in a different vehicle. I implore with the employee named Joylena to check for another van, even a dirty one. She leaves again and comes back awhile later saying there is none.

Now during the well over hour and a half we had been waiting I saw no less than three other mini vans leave the lot. Finally because my children are losing it and my poor grandmother looks like she is going to pass out. I just say, "Well bring me anything." They bring over another vehicle and by the time I remove all the seats and the restraint system install them in the other car and get everyone in we had waited over two hours. Missed our reservations and I have no idea if my daughter's restraint system is even safely installed in the new vehicle. I did not make a huge deal of it at the location because I knew the employee I was dealing with had nothing to do with it and I was also told by her and a manager that my rate would be well compensated and they were very sorry for the problems.

Well I return the car and remind the agent of what happened and inquire about the compensation. They say they will take $160 off the reservation which wasn't even 1/6th of what it cost me but I just want to be done with it. So I sign the paperwork and leave on the 19th. Today I check my bank account and not only did they not honor the ''discount" that they had told me they would give, they charged me over $30 more than the original paperwork I signed!!!

I could tell the return agent was completely blowing me off and not listening to a word I was saying after I had dealt with the disastrous rental with more poise and self control than anyone I know would. All of that self control is out the window now. I will tell any and everyone NEVER to use alamo rental car and I intend on posting every single place I possibly can to warn people to never count on alamo to have your reservation or honor their word when they completely mess up!!! Absolutely despicable!!!

Alamo Car Rental response

kiersten, thank you for your honest feedback. At your convenience, please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location, the information above, and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: July 18, 2021

It's the Richmond VA alamo at the airport there. I rented a car from them and when I returned it I forgot my cell phone inside. That car had some small slot under the console that it fit in but it also placed my phone out of sight so I forgot it, (something I haven't done in 10 years since my phone never leaves my side due to business purposes). By the time I got to bag check and needed my flight info off my phone, I realized I left it there so I ran back. By the time I got back, they had already cleaned the car and the 2 guys that cleaned it and the girl that checked the car in when we pulled up claimed they didn't see the phone. My wife called the phone and it rang the first time (100% battery charge) and then she called it a 2nd time and it was turned off.

No one seemed extremely helpful in locating it. The manager claimed he asked the 2 guys that cleaned the car about it but it was 100% stolen and the phone doesn't just grow legs and walk away. I know there's no other place it was or it would have been in my pocket. All this happened in the span of maybe 30 mins and that was the last place it was, not to mention someone turned it off after we called it the first time. I tried to locate it using another phone but the 2fa was on it so I couldn't get it done in time and my flight was leaving in 30 mins. 1000$ phone I lost to these Alamo thieves. What's even worse is all the information you carry on a phone these days not to mention all your family photos. It's pretty sad that they have a thief working for them and they didn't seem all that concerned about it.

Alamo Car Rental response

Tom, I certainly understand how upsetting it is to misplace or leave behind a valued or valuable item. Our offices do their very best to locate left behind items and return them to their rightful owner. For fastest service, please file a Lost & Found report using the link provided here. From the link you can also view items located & make a claim. Thanks! – Carol H. http://bit.ly/29BwB8l

Original review: June 21, 2021

I made my reservation via a third-party internet site and I paid for the collision insurance offered by the site. When I arrived to check out the vehicle I was informed that the non-refundable insurance that I purchased online would NOT cover any damages with Alamo. I was upset and expressed my feeling that It was fraudulent for the same site where I reserved the car to sell me the insurance and then for Alamo to inform me that I would be responsible for the damages in case of an accident. The representative informed me that only the insurance that Alamo sells would cover the car. The Alamo Agent refused to rent me the car stating it was the policy of Alamo NOT to rent to people who are unhappy with their services.

Please note: I was in a foreign Country at 11 pm. All the other rental car agencies were closed. Alamo didn't care that I was stranded! They took me back to the airport in the middle of the night not caring about my safety. They just told me to get a taxi to the hotel. Extremely poor customer service! I vowed never to use Alamo car rental. I have had to pay more money on two occasions but it is worth paying more for good customer service and peace of mind!

Alamo Car Rental response

christine, thank you for sharing this with us. We certainly understand your sentiments and apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: June 7, 2021

I rented a car from Alamo in March 2021 from Philadelphia Airport. First I waited for about 15 min for someone to come to the counter to help me. CC machine was broke and they kept saying my card declined at first. Finally got everything together, goes out to the vehicle and the workers jumps out the vehicle and hand me the keys as he's walking towards me and says everything you need is in the car. Ok cool. Take a look at what seems to me to be a perfect vehicle....wrong!

On the day I brought it back the attendees tried to say the vehicle was altered and had home repairs done to the side fender, which to me didn't look that way. I explained to them I did nothing to the car, I had no such time because I was away visiting family. Long story short, instead of checking the person before me, Alamo charged me 2 grand for someone else mistake. I tried to call and dispute but to no avail have I gotten anywhere. Now 2 months later I find more charges on my card for tolls. I paid money for the 1 toll I went through. Charged for 2. But everything else was good. Car was clean.

Alamo Car Rental response

Margo, your feedback is important in maintaining and improving service and satisfaction for all our valued customers. We would like to discuss your experience with us in more detail. Please email us at care@alamo.com with your contact information, reservation or rental agreement number, and any additional details. Thank you. -Carol H.

Original review: May 15, 2021

I book with Alamo through Hotwire and get crazy deals on large vehicles because I usually have an army to carry around or of town. The rates are great, cars are clean and ready to go. My local airport combines Alamo with National and Enterprise because it's a small town international Airport but all 3 companies are great.

Alamo Car Rental response

Telia, thank you for the awesome review. We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your experience with us and look forward to seeing you soon! - Carol H.

Original review: May 5, 2021

Reservation desk associate asked me for a 3rd piece of ID other than my driver's license and credit card. Nowhere does it state this was needed and I was fumbling through all my stuff to find something. He finally settled on my luggage tag. Just ridiculous. First car I was pointed at to drive someone was already in the car. Second car I was told I could take the inspection sticker expired a year ago. Third car I was told I could take smelled like ** and there was no inspection sticker at all.

Fourth car was a 2021 Chevrolet Malibu. Had a gas smell but the guy said they had just fueled it and perhaps that was leaked onto the tire or somewhere. I should've never taken this car. Had to drive with all my windows down and sunroof open to avoid being sick from gas smell. Currently awaiting tow truck as the gas smell has not dissipated but only gotten worse. Only drove an hour and a half away. Sure hope I don't have to pay the towing expense or for the day I'm not using it. Not getting another car from them.

Alamo Car Rental response

Amy, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations this visit. We would be happy to look into this for you. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and additional details of your rental. Thank you. –Carol H.

Original review: April 27, 2021

I rented a car in Milwaukee for 30 hours. I picked it up in a dark garage and skimmed over for damage. The car was never out of my sight. I returned it and there was a “smudge” behind the passenger side rear tire. I was forced to fill out an accident report and a month later charged $308 for a smudge. Customer beware: check your car and even the slightest mark should be reported immediately. I am no longer an Alamo customer and hope someone else learns from my misfortune.

Alamo Car Rental response

Mike, thanks for your review. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: April 23, 2021

Rented a vehicle from the Panama City, FL location 4/2/2021 - 4/9/2021. On 4/9/2021 I returned the vehicle to the Alamo/Enterprise parking lot and left the keys in the vehicle (as the directions stated on the sign outside the rental lot). On 4/17/2021 my credit card was charged an additional $885.23, Alamo claimed I used the vehicle for an additional week which is impossible since I flew back to Michigan on 4/9/2021.

Alamo's Customer Service is useless and incompetent. Two phone calls with Customer Service resulted in no action taken, I was told the Panama City Alamo office has to call me in order to refund the additional charge. The Panama City Alamo office did not call me back within 2 days as the Customer Service rep stated on Wednesday, 4/21/2021 so I placed another call to Customer Service on 4/23/2021. The CS rep I spoke to said I have to wait for the Panama City Alamo office to call me, I asked to speak to someone else, he gave me the number for Enterprise, Alamo, etc. So I had to make another phone call, same results, the Customer Service rep put in a request to the Panama City Alamo office to call me. At this point I am going to have my credit card company challenge the charge since Alamo Customer Service is impotent and ineffective.

Alamo Car Rental response

Chris, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations and we would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: April 1, 2021

Reserved car online. Made sure everything was set so no issues with car rental when arrived. Flew into Orlando and was going to drive car back home to Michigan. Upon arrival, I was told I could not have the car. I was told reserving it did not mean I would actually get a car. I had a temporary license but had my birth certificate, social security card, credit cards, bills, bank statements, work cards with photos on them and more. I was told even though TSA requires a great deal of proof to get on a plane, I wasn't driving the plane so they didn't care how much proof I had. I was also told a temporary license from the DMV did not count as a license for Alamo. I was left stranded. I had no transportation, no way home. It took a week to get a flight home.

I would not recommend Alamo!! In addition, there were 4 people at the counter trying to get vehicles they had reserved, only 1 of the 4 walked away with keys. 75% of reservations at that counter were denied. The odds are not in your favor. Manager was rude and condescending. Alamo also owns National and Enterprise with the same manager on duty for all 3 so going to another car rental company is not as easy as it sounds. Plus, at the last minute without a reservation for a car-it is more expensive. I am devastated by the treatment and the fact they left me stranded without care or compassion.

Alamo Car Rental response

Michelle, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations and would be happy to look into this for you. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation numbers, and more details of your rental. Thank you. - Carol H.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information