1.5/5 (31 ratings)

About Alamo Car Rental

Alamo Car Rental is a car rental agency with locations throughout the United States. Features include online check-in and discounts for Alamo Insiders members. With the Drive Happy app, customers can create and modify car rental reservations. The company also offers car seat rental, GPS navigation, Sirius XM and ski racks.

Pros

• Easy reservations
  • Discounts available
  • Online check-in
  • Mobile app

Cons

• May charge fees for drivers under 25
  • Credit card required

Bottom Line

Alamo rents cars, SUVs, trucks and vans all over the world. Customers can create, modify and cancel reservations online. Alamo offers some discounts but typically charges an extra fee for drivers under 25 years of age.

Alamo Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Resolution response: Jan. 24, 2022

The company sent me an email saying they refunded me. So, it is resolved. Thank you again!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

Hello, I just received my Alamo Rental Agreement # **, Invoice # ** and they charged me for the lock out (I locked the car with the keys inside), but as you can check in their records, I was waiting for 3 and a half hours for the service and wasn't attended. I had to hire another service provider and pay for it from my own pocket because Alamo wasn't able to help me. So, I would like a refund for that 65.00 USD they charged me and didn't do. I will wait for you response on that, please. Have a great day. Bernardo

Alamo Car Rental response

Bernardo, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations. If we can help with this, please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thank you. –Carol H.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

I reserved a minivan from Alamo at the Ft. Myers airport. The wait at the Alamo counter was significantly longer than any other line. The kiosk only partially worked, and so I had to return to the long line. The clerk abruptly told me I could have saved $15 per day (times 10 days) for a second driver had I booked the rental through Costco. After completing the check-in, there was an unusually long wait in a second line to actually get the vehicle. I did not rate lower than 2 stars because the vehicle was clean and in very satisfactory condition.

Alamo Car Rental response

David, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations. If you'd like to share further details with us, please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

I was forced to change my flight due to a cancelation and had to route to another city. Alamo did NOTHING to help me with doing that and charged me an additional $500+ fee to drop off in Orlando instead of Jacksonville. I was treated poorly on the phone and no one even TRIED to help me. I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars with Alamo and this is how I'm treated? I am a frequent traveler but NEVER will rent with Alamo again, and you shouldn't either. I've dealt with so many other companies that will treat you like you matter.

Alamo Car Rental response

Andy, thank you for your honest review. For our help, please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details. We look forward to hearing from you soon. – Carol H.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

Needed to change drop off point from West Palm Beach to Fort Meyers (Florida) due to airline flight cancellation due to Covid of flight crew. Alamo charged me $500 to do so even though turning in on same day. Further - first rental car had broken mirror and had to drive back to exchange. Outrageous exchange fee - will not use Alamo again and travel often using Expedia. Customer service worker was also smug.

Alamo Car Rental response

Loren, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details. We look forward to hearing from you soon. – Carol H.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

Our experience was awful. We made a reservation 3 months in advance of our trip and paid in full. We missed a connecting flight and called to let them know when we would be coming in, they said no problem. We arrived to an extremely rude assistant manager telling us we didn't have a car, we didn't pay up front and charged us a $100 cancelation fee. We had to rent another car from a different agency and paid an extra $300. I have called and asked to file a complaint and speak to a manager 4 times. Each time I am told that our situation should not have happened, they are very sorry, but I have yet to have a manager call me back. So disappointed. I will not recommend Alamo to anyone who asks.

Alamo Car Rental response

Raina, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to speak with you further. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Alamo.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. Thank you. - Carol H.

Resolution response: Dec. 22, 2021

Thank you. Thanks to Alamo's fast reaction Rental cars finally repaid my money. I understand it wasn't Alamo holding my money and the website, however it's disappointing you work with such websites.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

I booked a car with Alamo on the Rentalcars website. Five minutes after my booking, I received an email and a call from an Alamo team member explaining they didn't have any available car before 4 pm while I needed it at 8 am so I asked them to cancel my booking and reimburse me. After several calls and emails with Rentalcars and Alamo, I have still not be refunded, we are now more than a month later.

Alamo Car Rental response

Caroline, we're so glad to hear this was resolved to your liking and will pass your feedback along to the management team who makes these decisions. If we can ever help with your rental questions or future needs, please don't hesitate to contact us. Kind regards. -CAH

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

I rented car in Toronto with return date offer 12:30 am. I returned my car at 20 minutes earlier at 12:10 am. Dropped the key into key return box. On the invoice I retrieved they indicated my return time as 8:10 am and charged my credit card $91 extra for additional day. Bad company. I would never rent from them again

Alamo Car Rental response

Robert, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

Rented a mini van in Reno. Both employees we worked with was rude. No help. The van was not what was advertised in the rental. Will not refund. We usually rent thru Enterprise and will be back to that. Never this company again.

Alamo Car Rental response

Anna, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations. We would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. – Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I rented a Honda Civic Type R from America in Costa Rica and got a Mercedes Ben with absolutely no horsepower and auto transmission. Do not buy from Alamo Car Rental or rent a car from Alamo Car Rental 100% (I'm also an employee with years of experience, and the CEO of Honda and KIA since I'm very good with automobiles and my driving wheels [I'm a professional FYI].)

Alamo Car Rental response

Andrew, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with the information above, your contact information, reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

Horrible company. Try to pin A Dent and scratches On the vehicle I rented And Tried To get money Out of me. Then Lied And said I was under the influence And that was responsible for the damages. Horrible. Horrible company.

Alamo Car Rental response

Maria, We'd like to hear more and have the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your full name, contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you.– Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

I DO NOT recommend anyone to have business with Alamo car rental. We booked a car in Costa Rica without a problem. On our last rental day we had some issues. They made us pay extra fees (200$) for something out of our control that we WERE NOT made aware of when we took the car. I have been trying to get in touch with someone there for weeks and it has been a NIGHTMARE. AVOID AT ALL COST.

Alamo Car Rental response

Christelle, we thank you for your review and would like the chance to address this with you directly. At your convenience, please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

The worse experience ever!! NEVER again Alamo.. I had to wait for exactly 52 minutes after I signed the paperwork to get my SUV. Even though I had a paid reservation #**. The problem was not only the wait but also the bad attitude and lack of professionalism of the saleswoman involve. She kept saying..." you'll get your car when it's ready", "We can't help you" "We all sold out, so you have to wait". I went to the counter and asked her to give me an update after 30 minutes, she said, "Move over so I can take the next customer or I will call security!!!" VERY disappointed... I will use any other company next time. I'm in Asheville, NC.

Trust me, you don't want to be in this situation. PICK ANOTHER COMPANY.

Alamo Car Rental response

Marwan, thank you for sharing. I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

Beware of a trick to charge extra:

1. Upon renting, all scratches, marks, dents are carefully logged. We focused on all the usual spots - no one paid attention to the short rubber antenna on the roof.

Upon return, the agent 'discovered' what looked like an animal chewed the tip of the antenna. I was charged $80 for a replacement. I cannot prove it, but I would bet that the antenna will not be replaced and the next renter will be charged another $80 for the same antenna.

2. We returned the car a day early and expected a refund for the last day which we did not use. Standard procedure for every rental I ever had. The refund was refused under the excuse that everyone could rent for an extended period to get better daily rates and then return the car early. Not true - when I booked online, the same rate applied regardless of whether I scheduled 7 days or 30 days.

3. I got a ticket (speed trap) while driving and Alamo charged $60 just for "administrative work" to pass my contact information to the police.

Bottom line: Alamo offers good prices, but gets its revenue through extra charges that are unusual and potentially 'dirty tricks' to get another few bucks here and there. Beware!

Alamo Car Rental response

Christian, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

We reserved a jeep at Norfolk VA airport. We arrived early and found Alamo had a sign up telling customers to go to sister company Enterprise, next counter over. The line was extremely long - we waited well over an hour and heard a lot of bad information from others as they left the line. Finally our turn - the manager tells us there is no Jeep. We must go sit down and wait. After much time we approached and ask and he said we would not get a Jeep - it had come back with a flat tire or chipped windshield??? How could he not know which? I told him we can change a tire, yet he said we could only have this other vehicle a ford edge, or nothing. We had already seen one lady declined a vehicle, so we were very concerned at being without a vehicle and 2000 miles from home. This is absolutely Unacceptable customer service.

How can they do this to people legally. They did the same to my family who traveled even further - except their replacement was decent. Ours was filthy and had some damage on inside. I took photos and would love to show them! I called Alamo to explain the suv had some damage and was filthy. They ask if we could still drive it, so we agreed reluctantly. Then I received an email asking me to contact my insurance to pay for damages - I was furious! Horrible customer service!!! I had time stamped photos to prove it was damaged previous to our driving it, and the call to alamo also!!! We will never use alamo or Enterprise again and will encourage others to avoid them also!! Or do so at your own risk!!!

Alamo Car Rental response

Carol, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

This company cares nothing about the consumer. You are charged upfront without any cancellation accommodations and worst of all they charge your credit card an extra deposit of $400 even if you use a credit card. People please stay away from this company. Their lack of concern for the public will cause them eminent company failure.

Alamo Car Rental response

Vaden, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations we would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

*I tried to give them a zero star rating, but that wasn’t an option. September 3rd I rented an SUV from SeaTac rental car facility for a trip to Utah. While I inspected the vehicle, I didn’t inspect the tires, since tire tread wear and the overall maintenance of the car should be taken care by the company. While driving, I noticed that when applying the brakes at 65-70 mph the entire steering wheel would shake! I continued driving since Alamo customer service wasn’t opened... In Idaho while fueling up, I happened to look down at the tires and noticed the outer tread of both front tires were noticeably worn down, and the two back tire were a different brand and type of tire than the front.

Once customer service was opened I spoke with a representative that offered me the solution of driving to the nearest Alamo (Idaho Falls airport) to exchange the vehicle for another one, which was a suggestion I was on board with. Driving an hour outside my intended route, I arrive to Idaho Falls airport, call the Alamo rental office and speak with Blaine, who proceeds to tell me they have not received any information regarding my concerns for the car and will NOT be able to exchange the vehicle If they deem the car's tires in good condition or find the steering wheel doesn’t shake while applying the brakes.

Blaine and Zach (states he’s the manager) meets me in the returns parking lot with a tread depth tool to check the tires and says “there’s enough tread in the tires,” so we’ll need to drive the car to check the steering. I explained to both of them, my father is a certified mechanic and has been for 35 years with a reputable automotive shop, so I know when tires are worn or when rotors need to be changed. That information didn’t stop them from telling me they did NOT feel the steering wheel shake after they took it for a spin and he would NOT be able to exchange the vehicle. So, I then offered Zach to come ride along with me to ensure he was feeling what I felt when driving.

We get on the freeway, take the next exit and voila, the entire steering went shake and you can feel the shake in the front seats. I asked Zach, “did you feel that?” He was hesitant and said “no, actually, yes.” Then proceeds to insult my intelligence even more by asking about the route I drove to get to Idaho Falls, as though I was the one who caused the front end of that rental car to shake. I kindly told Zach, “do NOT try to blame me for Alamo not doing their job in inspecting this car and making sure they’re mechanically safe to drive.” We get back to the rental facility and Zach asked if I was going to take the car and I told him, “yes, when I get back to Seattle, I will have the car inspected by my father's shop and have it certified that all concerns I have will be documented when I return the car.” Zach decided that he’d exchange out the vehicle.

This entire situation was an absolutely asinine and a headache dealing with these two (Blaine & Zach) employees. I guess they didn’t believe me due to my height, my weight or maybe it was because I wore glasses? Whatever, their excuse was, it wasn’t good enough to be dishonest and truthful all in one breath. However, this has taught me a valuable lesson, NEVER do business with Alamo!

Alamo Car Rental response

Halina, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations we would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I am reviewing two separate experiences using Alamo - both diabolical. Firstly, my husband rented a car with the pick up location being Los Angeles but subsequently decided to fly out of San Diego and assumed there would be an additional charge to drop the car off at a different location. What he didn't expect was to be informed that the additional fee would be over USD $2,500!!!!

To compound the situation, when he questioned the exorbitant fee with an Alamo representative named Geneva - she refused to provide her surname - in the Customer Service Escalation Department, she kept repeating a robotic dialogue which is obviously a script for so-called customer service representatives to reel off. When Geneva was asked to escalate the issue to a manager, she refused and said she was the person to deal with - futile considering she did absolutely nothing but repeat the same thing over and over in the same monotone voice - one could be mistaken for thinking it was a recorded message except for the fact that she most definitely had attitude!!!

The second incident was where I rented a car through Alamo in the Republic of Ireland and attempted to extend the rental period. I had initially paid €1,099 for 26 days car rental and had wanted to extend for an additional 31 days. I was quoted €3,000 as a "special". I was also charged a toll fee with a penalty despite having paid the toll online. The toll should have cost me €3.10 but after paying for it in duplicate and being charged an administration fee which meant that I paid €14.70 for one toll!! I rented through a competitor for less than half the price quoted by Alamo and was given a superior car, a hybrid with only just over 300 km on the clock.

Alamo Car Rental response

Anna, we're happy to address this rental contract modification with your husband directly. Please have him email care@alamo.com with his full name, contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I booked a rental through Expedia-one price paid for air and auto rental. At the time the least expensive vehicle was actually a BMW SUV. When I arrived at Logan I was told to wait in a certain area of the garage while other people were in line. No employees wore any shirt or uniform, finally I asked someone where Alamo employees were-around 3:00 p.m.on Sunday July 18, 2021. I was told there was no one working that day.. Someone would help me. A guy from National or Enterprise walked me to a Lincoln SUV. I was so ready to just get out of there I didn't ask where the BMW I booked was, and supposedly the only vehicle available.. The Lincoln's service light was on, so I backed back and waited again for someone. I was walked to an area and told I could take any vehicle I wanted. As I have a Rogue I said if there's one I'll take that.

On the way out the girl at the "toll" part of the lot said she'd adjust the price, but I'd have to show what I paid for the Premium SUV vs the Nissan SUV. As I didn't have it on my phone (and cars behind me) she said call office. Expedia did send me the breakdown, and when I returned the car the manager Vladimir said he could not adjust the price from the premium I booked to the SUV class I rented because I paid Expedia-call them. I called Expedia and they researched it and said I had to contact Alamo, though I told them Alamo said they couldn't refund me as I didn't pay THEM.. The run around is very annoying-I paid for a premium SUV and they had many others that day, and what I took was not a premium-so I should only have paid for the class I got.

Alamo Car Rental response

Robin, thank you for your review. I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

It has been the worst car rental experience for me. I had rented a mid size car but I was given a small car despite my advance booking. Alamo charged me the same even though the car was smaller. Further, I did not realize at the beginning that the AC was not working but as I drove to warmer places, it became unbearably hot inside the car. I called Alamo customer service more than once but got nothing other than sweet talk. I ended up completing rest of my family holiday in a car that frequently became unbearably warm. It turned out to be a nightmare. I do not think I will rent an Alamo car ever again.

Alamo Car Rental response

Diwesh, thank you for sharing this with us. I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I paid for an Alamo rental car through Allegiant Airlines, combining my airfare with a car rental. I paid over $1,000 for just the rental of the car, which according to the Allegiant app included all fees associated with the rental. However, not according to Alamo. After returning the car Alamo charged my credit card for an additional $244 for the same fees covered in the payment through Allegiant. They claimed it was Allegiant who did not disclosed the additional charges. It is a classic case of both parties blaming the other business is at fault. Renter beware! I won't be renting another car from Alamo or any of the companies associated with them simply because I can no longer trust they will reveal the full cost till after the car is returned.

Alamo Car Rental response

Leroy, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations. At your convenience, please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

Almost always book my cars through Costco portal. Costco has Enterprise and Alamo (same company). Was trying to get a larger SUV in Charleston, SC about three months before we were there. No dice. Checked back periodically just in case. No dice. Our flight out was delayed by several hours. Land in Charleston at midnightish. Ask the customer service rep (at the rental counter in the airport where you check in) if there are any larger SUVs available. No dice. Walk out to get our minivan (what we originally booked but never wanted to). Get to the lot of cars and a customer service rep out there comes up to me and has 10 larger SUVs set up in a display line (Suburbans, whatever GMC's version is, the big Nissan, etc). She then immediately asks if we would like to upgrade. My response was yes...what I originally wanted and what I had been trying to do for the past three months and in the airport itself.

She says OK....that will be $75 more per day???? While I wholeheartedly agree that it should be more, I have been down this rodeo in the past at peak travel times. Basically got the same type of vehicle for a bout 1k for a slightly longer time and not the whole bait and switch method (first time I had been down that path with this company). Called customer service to talk...no dice....took me four times to actually get someone to talk to me who could somewhat make a decision. Still have not heard back on the bait and switch.

I get that we are in Covid and rental car agencies are ramping back up...but they had 10 full size SUVs...displayed. Hard time believing that wasn't a money grab. And it's really hard to believe that I couldn't reserve one online and the first customer service person didn't know they had an abundance. Also, I filled the tank up right before I returned the car. What did I get on my invoice? A charge for a tank fill up. It literally took me at least four times to call them and have the charge reversed.

Alamo Car Rental response

ROD, I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

My experience at Alamo last Saturday, August 7 and then again on my return today, Saturday, August 15, Jack who works at the Alamo in Richmond Virginia RIR, was extremely kind and very helpful. Just wanted to make sure you knew you have an excellent employee!!!!

Alamo Car Rental response

Debbie, we're so glad that we were able to go above and beyond your expectations! Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we did. We'll pass the compliment onto Jack in Richmond. We hope to see you again soon! - Carol H.

Original review: July 27, 2021

I reserved a car over 3 months ago and it was supposed to be $972. Our family vacation plans changed and I needed to turn in the car closer and 2 days sooner. I was charged $1,000 to do so and Sumbo (customer service agent I spoke with emp ID: **) was VERY RUDE and unhelpful. It’s not that I mind price adjustments/changes but I feel that charging me $1,000 to turn a car in sooner and thousands of miles closer is basically robbery on the company’s part. Unfair. And I was told the $1000 was because I’m returning to BWI (Baltimore airport) and not to San Antonio, TX anymore. My pick-up location being New York. They basically canceled my reservation and made a new one so I’d be charged the weekly rental today as if I’m reserving last minute. My aunt rented from another company and there was no fee for changes. I plan to submit this review everywhere possible because it’s not right! My first and LAST time using Alamo.

Alamo Car Rental response

Lisa, we are constantly looking for ways to improve our services and believe that we can through listening to our customers' experiences. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: July 23, 2021

DO NOT USE ALAMO EVER! Long story short they made me, my young children and my 84 year old grandmother wait well over two hours to find the car we reserved and we left with a completely different one and when promised they would compensate me for the trouble they actually ended up charging me MORE than what I had originally signed for!!! Please read on for the entire disastrous experience!!! I am absolutely appalled!!!

So my mother in law and I rented two cars for seven days spending more than $1500 to do so. We reserved them months in advance. I specifically rented a mini van and did so well in advance because I was certain the specific type of child restraint system my daughter requires works in a mini van seat. Well upon arriving to the West Palm Beach location and after hours on a flight with my very young children and 84 year old grandmother we wait to be checked out. First they completely contradict what we had been told on the phone about being able to pay for both vehicles on one credit card, which presented a huge issue. Then after waiting over half an hour for our cars they arrive. I spend over 20 minutes trying to install the special restraint system my daughter requires as well as the regular car seats. My grandmother gets in the car, get the kids strapped in and we go to leave.

At the check out booth we are stopped and the employee says, "I'm sorry, you can't leave in this car. The plates are expired." She tells us to pull over to the side. I do and continue to wait for over 20 minutes. I then go back to her and she says, "I am waiting for someone to bring another van." We continue to wait and after 45 mins ask again the employee says she is going to check herself. A while longer goes by and she comes back saying they have no vans left. At this point I'm panicking, we had a reservation to catch and were already severely late for it. My children are losing their minds and starving having been well over 7 hours since they last ate. And I have no idea what I'm going to do because I don't know if my daughter's restraint system will work in a different vehicle. I implore with the employee named Joylena to check for another van, even a dirty one. She leaves again and comes back awhile later saying there is none.

Now during the well over hour and a half we had been waiting I saw no less than three other mini vans leave the lot. Finally because my children are losing it and my poor grandmother looks like she is going to pass out. I just say, "Well bring me anything." They bring over another vehicle and by the time I remove all the seats and the restraint system install them in the other car and get everyone in we had waited over two hours. Missed our reservations and I have no idea if my daughter's restraint system is even safely installed in the new vehicle. I did not make a huge deal of it at the location because I knew the employee I was dealing with had nothing to do with it and I was also told by her and a manager that my rate would be well compensated and they were very sorry for the problems.

Well I return the car and remind the agent of what happened and inquire about the compensation. They say they will take $160 off the reservation which wasn't even 1/6th of what it cost me but I just want to be done with it. So I sign the paperwork and leave on the 19th. Today I check my bank account and not only did they not honor the ''discount" that they had told me they would give, they charged me over $30 more than the original paperwork I signed!!!

I could tell the return agent was completely blowing me off and not listening to a word I was saying after I had dealt with the disastrous rental with more poise and self control than anyone I know would. All of that self control is out the window now. I will tell any and everyone NEVER to use alamo rental car and I intend on posting every single place I possibly can to warn people to never count on alamo to have your reservation or honor their word when they completely mess up!!! Absolutely despicable!!!

Alamo Car Rental response

kiersten, thank you for your honest feedback. At your convenience, please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location, the information above, and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: July 18, 2021

It's the Richmond VA alamo at the airport there. I rented a car from them and when I returned it I forgot my cell phone inside. That car had some small slot under the console that it fit in but it also placed my phone out of sight so I forgot it, (something I haven't done in 10 years since my phone never leaves my side due to business purposes). By the time I got to bag check and needed my flight info off my phone, I realized I left it there so I ran back. By the time I got back, they had already cleaned the car and the 2 guys that cleaned it and the girl that checked the car in when we pulled up claimed they didn't see the phone. My wife called the phone and it rang the first time (100% battery charge) and then she called it a 2nd time and it was turned off.

No one seemed extremely helpful in locating it. The manager claimed he asked the 2 guys that cleaned the car about it but it was 100% stolen and the phone doesn't just grow legs and walk away. I know there's no other place it was or it would have been in my pocket. All this happened in the span of maybe 30 mins and that was the last place it was, not to mention someone turned it off after we called it the first time. I tried to locate it using another phone but the 2fa was on it so I couldn't get it done in time and my flight was leaving in 30 mins. 1000$ phone I lost to these Alamo thieves. What's even worse is all the information you carry on a phone these days not to mention all your family photos. It's pretty sad that they have a thief working for them and they didn't seem all that concerned about it.

Alamo Car Rental response

Tom, I certainly understand how upsetting it is to misplace or leave behind a valued or valuable item. Our offices do their very best to locate left behind items and return them to their rightful owner. For fastest service, please file a Lost & Found report using the link provided here. From the link you can also view items located & make a claim. Thanks! – Carol H. http://bit.ly/29BwB8l

Original review: June 21, 2021

I made my reservation via a third-party internet site and I paid for the collision insurance offered by the site. When I arrived to check out the vehicle I was informed that the non-refundable insurance that I purchased online would NOT cover any damages with Alamo. I was upset and expressed my feeling that It was fraudulent for the same site where I reserved the car to sell me the insurance and then for Alamo to inform me that I would be responsible for the damages in case of an accident. The representative informed me that only the insurance that Alamo sells would cover the car. The Alamo Agent refused to rent me the car stating it was the policy of Alamo NOT to rent to people who are unhappy with their services.

Please note: I was in a foreign Country at 11 pm. All the other rental car agencies were closed. Alamo didn't care that I was stranded! They took me back to the airport in the middle of the night not caring about my safety. They just told me to get a taxi to the hotel. Extremely poor customer service! I vowed never to use Alamo car rental. I have had to pay more money on two occasions but it is worth paying more for good customer service and peace of mind!

Alamo Car Rental response

christine, thank you for sharing this with us. We certainly understand your sentiments and apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: June 7, 2021

I rented a car from Alamo in March 2021 from Philadelphia Airport. First I waited for about 15 min for someone to come to the counter to help me. CC machine was broke and they kept saying my card declined at first. Finally got everything together, goes out to the vehicle and the workers jumps out the vehicle and hand me the keys as he's walking towards me and says everything you need is in the car. Ok cool. Take a look at what seems to me to be a perfect vehicle....wrong!

On the day I brought it back the attendees tried to say the vehicle was altered and had home repairs done to the side fender, which to me didn't look that way. I explained to them I did nothing to the car, I had no such time because I was away visiting family. Long story short, instead of checking the person before me, Alamo charged me 2 grand for someone else mistake. I tried to call and dispute but to no avail have I gotten anywhere. Now 2 months later I find more charges on my card for tolls. I paid money for the 1 toll I went through. Charged for 2. But everything else was good. Car was clean.

Alamo Car Rental response

Margo, your feedback is important in maintaining and improving service and satisfaction for all our valued customers. We would like to discuss your experience with us in more detail. Please email us at care@alamo.com with your contact information, reservation or rental agreement number, and any additional details. Thank you. -Carol H.

Original review: May 15, 2021

I book with Alamo through Hotwire and get crazy deals on large vehicles because I usually have an army to carry around or of town. The rates are great, cars are clean and ready to go. My local airport combines Alamo with National and Enterprise because it's a small town international Airport but all 3 companies are great.

Alamo Car Rental response

Telia, thank you for the awesome review. We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your experience with us and look forward to seeing you soon! - Carol H.

Original review: May 5, 2021

Reservation desk associate asked me for a 3rd piece of ID other than my driver's license and credit card. Nowhere does it state this was needed and I was fumbling through all my stuff to find something. He finally settled on my luggage tag. Just ridiculous. First car I was pointed at to drive someone was already in the car. Second car I was told I could take the inspection sticker expired a year ago. Third car I was told I could take smelled like ** and there was no inspection sticker at all.

Fourth car was a 2021 Chevrolet Malibu. Had a gas smell but the guy said they had just fueled it and perhaps that was leaked onto the tire or somewhere. I should've never taken this car. Had to drive with all my windows down and sunroof open to avoid being sick from gas smell. Currently awaiting tow truck as the gas smell has not dissipated but only gotten worse. Only drove an hour and a half away. Sure hope I don't have to pay the towing expense or for the day I'm not using it. Not getting another car from them.

Alamo Car Rental response

Amy, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations this visit. We would be happy to look into this for you. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and additional details of your rental. Thank you. –Carol H.

Original review: April 27, 2021

I rented a car in Milwaukee for 30 hours. I picked it up in a dark garage and skimmed over for damage. The car was never out of my sight. I returned it and there was a “smudge” behind the passenger side rear tire. I was forced to fill out an accident report and a month later charged $308 for a smudge. Customer beware: check your car and even the slightest mark should be reported immediately. I am no longer an Alamo customer and hope someone else learns from my misfortune.

Alamo Car Rental response

Mike, thanks for your review. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information