1.12/5
Based on 188 reviews that contain star ratings

202 Aeroplan Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 5, 2018

My kid got robbed 25,000 points because he turned 18... We noticed a month too late and that was it...gone!!! They proposed to 'reinstate' the points but it's really at the same rate than when you buy regular miles. They would like us to be loyal, but they have zero loyalty to their customers! Aimia (the corporation running Aeroplan) is just in it for the short-term money at this point... Their stock is down 88% and when they are no longer with Air Canada in 2 years, we will surely dissolve. They will absolutely not be missed.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Aeroplan is terrible. They just took out over 44,000 miles out of my account because they "expired". How can they just take back points they've given? It's robbery! Those were worth about 3 flights to which I was planning on taking kids on a holiday with. I called twice to try to resolve, they want over $500 to reinstate them. Terrible!

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I am an Aeroplan member since 2006, have Diamond status. Recently I noticed a couple of transactions which were previously posted - disappeared from my account. Not reversed, but simply gone without any trace. I phone Aeroplan asking for explanations - their response was "if we don't see it, then it was never posted, contact the partner directly for missing miles". But I saw those transactions on the account just a few days ago. And when I continued pressing for answers - the CSR simply hang up on me (he said "I'll put you thru to the supervisor", but then the line got disconnected after a few minutes of me waiting on the phone). I hope I can find a better alternative, 'cause I'm fed up with such poor service.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Useless company to deal with. No wonder Air Canada is leaving their program. They stole all my points because I had not used their product in a year. If I have money in the bank, does it give the bank the right to keep if I don't spend any after a year? Screw you, I don't need your stupid program, but you do need us to stay alive, because without people believing in your program, well you don't have a program.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Aeroplan is without a doubt the single worst rewards program on the planet. Calling it a rewards program is completely inappropriate, because they don’t reward you with anything. I tried for years to redeem my long and hard earned points on flights. Every time I tried to use it for flights, I would get some 36 hour, 4 leg journey from Boston to New York. Should be an hour, not available for anything less than two days. Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. So I never was able to redeem my rewards points for a flight. So I just kept saving them. I’ve been saving them since 1983. A number of years ago they changed their policy, their points expire after one year if you haven’t acquired anymore.

So I tried really hard to remember to go to home hardware and give them my Aeroplan card, just so my points wouldn’t expire. I just went on to finally use the points for some merchandise, only to find that 30 years of points have been deleted, because apparently I missed the 12 month deadline. I called, and as other reviewers have noted, there is “nothing” they can do. Of course there is something they can do. They could give me my points back. But no, if I want my points back I need to pay $999, and they weren’t even worth that much to begin with. What a scam. The only good thing to come of it, is that I will never again feel any pressure to fly Air Canada. Air Canada is the worst airline on the entire human planet. I have never received such abysmal customer service as I do regularly with Air Canada. So now my obligation to fly them has ended. Good riddance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aeroplan?

Original review: May 25, 2018

I was flying Air Canada from Hong Kong to Los Angeles on last week flight and was unable to enroll with the Aeroplan due to its difficulty, and then I was trying to enroll these past two days, it was impossible to enroll and contact for help. I contacted Air Canada how to enroll the miles, they gave me Aeroplan phone number, but when I was attempting to enroll with Aeroplan, it kept giving errors on my address and other infos. Tried fixing it, no luck for the first day, several hours past. Also the point is, when you called Aeroplan, it is impossible to get through the system as it will asks you for the Aeroplan # which you do not have because it intentionally kicks out error messages for encourage you to give up.

I tried again today, with all the garbage to go through, then after 4 hours of attempt which I promised myself I never gave up, I finally get enrolled. However, after I got my membership #, I was trying to claim the missing miles, and just to be noted that I had to have my membership before I flew! Really? I was too busy joggling with all the bookings and travels while in Hong Kong! I called the Aeroplan number of 800 but I was unsuccessful because you will need a PIN. In order to get a PIN, you will need to have correct info on your street address, phone number, and Zip all those craps, which ARP tried to error on everything when you first tried to register.

After spending one hour to succeed to get PIN, calling the 800 number, I was taking to the Rep, and I told her you need a PHD in Rocket Science to enroll with Aeroplan. She told me I am the first one complaining about it. I told her REALLY! She told me I had to have set up the account before I fly, otherwise I am out of luck! Seriously? NO more Air Canada and stupid Aeroplan ever! The Worst of all scam!

Original review: May 17, 2018

Went online to purchase a product to find all of my air mile points have expired. Went from 200,000 miles to 0 because I missed using the card by two days. Phoned customer no-service and was told that rules are rules. Was told numerous times that they are in black and white with no room for empathy or compassion. Will never fly Air Canada and will go out of my way to avoid Aeroplan partners. Zero service and zero compassion.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Aeroplan has made it impossible to book a flight. After they go through insane routings and fees and taxes, it's better just to book a flight directly with the airline. About the only thing I can use my points for is a car rental. Don't waste your time trying to book a flight.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Aeroplan has become a useless add benefit, there are no flights unless you accept crappy stopovers, crappy seat selection, etc etc. Aeroplan is not a bonus but a make work project. As soon as I can get rid of my points I will cancel my Visa card and use the less expensive ones with Cash Back.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I accumulated over 20K points in 4 years... I tried several times to use my points on travel or any other stuff that's actually interesting. But hey, what the f is wrong with their fees calculations??? Montreal to Paris for 16K (I said well I could pay Paris a visit sometime this year). Well, after "fees and surcharges" I had to pay almost 700$ haha! I found a 550$ flight same destination, same dates elsewhere. This service is total ** and their Visa card can go to hell. I paid 89$ annual fee for that Aeroplan card.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

First, try using the filters associated with the reviews of Aeroplan. At the time of this review, there is ONE 5-star review, two 4-star, one 3-star, and lots of 2- and 1-star reviews. That should tell you something. I've been a member of Aeroplan for about twenty years and have watched the program go from "quite good" to "a complete waste of time".

Over the years, Aeroplan has done everything possible to make it as difficult as possible for you to redeem your points for travel. The number of points required for a flight keep going up (even as you're searching), the number of "reward" seats available on a flight keeps going down, the "recommended" routes will take you halfway around the world (even though you know there's a direct flight available), the extra fees keep going up (what exactly is a "carrier charge" anyway?), the telephone waiting times are designed to deter you, and now the website search doesn't return any results. I am no longer prepared to waste my time, money, and energy on Air Canada and Aeroplan. I now have an MBNA Alaska Air MasterCard instead.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I attempted today (Jan. 24, 2018) to book a flight to Cusco, Peru so I could get to Machu Picchu using Aeroplan points and had a lot of difficulty finding any flights so I contacted Customer Service (1-800-361-5373) and they answered the phone immediately. I explained to the rep. that I could not find any flights available in the next 1-6 months to Cusco so she tried to find out when the next flights using Aeroplan would be available. She was very courteous and after being put on hold three times she came back and said that after speaking with another rep. she could not find where there were any flights using Aeroplan points for the next 12 months.

She further added that there was something wrong with the system and that an investigation would be undertaken. She then asked me to try to book a flight again next Tuesday (Jan 31, 2018) and if I was not successful then to call back to Customer Service and they would update me on the results of their investigation and try to help me book a flight. She once again was very courteous and even gave me her first name for record purposes. I fly several times a year using Aeroplan points on some of them and find that the number of available tickets are few and far between and when you do find one the departure times are terrible and the flight durations and stops between departure and arrival airports almost unbearable. No one likes to sit in a narrow seat and unable to be served a decent meal!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I have saved points for many years now, the required points to get anywhere has doubled and the "taxes and extras" cost more than booking a flight with the same airline directly. When you try and book a flight they route you through many hums and charge you fees and taxes for each stop, this is insane. This company is a scam. I have thousands of points and they are now useless. DO NOT JOIN AEROPLAN.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

CAUTION: when ordering AEROPLAN gift cards, be VERY DILIGENT!!! We're OUT by $250/33750 POINTS! We experienced AEROPLAN has a GRAVE GAP in their tracking, records management, and help-centre's adequate access to key trackable information re gift-card orders. The 'deliverable' (mailed letter & attached gift card) does not have the same order/confirmation #s which AEROPLAN provides online (email & a/c) upon placing an order; nor does their front-line help-centre have full/clear access to their non-transparent 'tracking' system. SO... While endeavoring to establish that an ordered gift card has not been received, it has been OVER TWO MONTHS, multiple phone calls with front-line help-centre phone agents' hands tied due to lack of information access.

Our multiple calls get deferred 'by message' to their 'back office' for a supervisor to follow up; with no ability to talk directly with a supervisor, unless the supervisor chooses to call us. Their front-line agents do not record sufficient/adequate 'notes on record' of our past conversation(s)/communications (hence repeating history is necessary = 'very frustrating'). AEROPLAN supervisors (x2 now) have called us to 'look into it'. Yet, there has been no follow up by either, or resolution that OUR ORDER HAS NOT BEEN DELIVERED.

We're out by $250! 33750 POINTS due to their lack of consistent 'tracking' number system, access to full information, and effective/thorough follow-up. TRULY DISAPPOINTING. Note: together with our online account, email confirmations from Aeroplan, and our detailed excel spreadsheet recording all our orders & deliveries, AEROPLAN still cannot resolve this matter! Even an agent said never has a customer been so detail-conscious. Hmmmm... Makes me wonder: "How many others have been defrauded from AEROPLAN's untrackable offerings?"

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

My Aeroplan point were 27383 which were deleted on 31 August 2017. We travel every year but due to my husband terminal illness he was hospitalized on 5 April 2017 and passed away on 11th June 2017. So my was delayed but I did book my London flights on 01 September 2017. I called customer service and explained my situation regarding my husband. There was no comparison or help. I am very upset as it took long time to collect point.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I had Aeroplan points and booked a car rental online for Oct 16-19 for Vegas. I received the email confirmation but didn't review the itinerary. Went to car rental in Vegas and they couldn't locate my confirmation. Eventually they located it under the date we left for home. I tried to contact them but everything must be done online. I didn't bring my original Aero card and the email confirmation only provided the itinerary. Tried to submit cancellation online, but wasn't able to locate or recognize my profile. I called today and was informed they could not refund my points...

The call center said she spoke with her manager too and also advised that since I booked online, I could have also cancelled online. I explained all my attempts 2 days prior to original book date error and was still told they couldn't assist me. Pretty frustrating and will try and get a new credit card with different point provider. I understand it was my fault, but not having someone live outside Canada to assist is the problem.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I have to go to a funeral and was going to use my Aeroplan points and when I went to the website I noticed all my 86,000 + points were gone. I had kept those points for emergencies and was counting on using them. I was shocked, so I called customer service and got a rude customer rep who told me that I had been notified by email and there nothing he could do for me and if I wanted to use them I would have to pay to buy them back.

I am very upset and I feel Aeroplan has been very unfair and feel cheated. It had taken long time to earn these points. I don't recall getting the email and I also did a search on my email to see if I had received the email he claims that was sent. I did not find the email. After my conversation with the supervisor I received the email today. I urge Aeroplan to look at this unfair policy and reimburse my points back. Because of this unfair policy I will not be able attend my uncle's funeral or help my niece to fly to see her mother or help one my children to fly to a family event.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Recently booked a trip via Aeroplan for my daughter. Flight was on United. Online system allowed me to book tickets no problem. Once booked I contacted airline to let them know she had a cast on her foot. They advised despite system allowing me to purchase tickets she would not be allowed to fly as she was a 'minor' (3 months shy of 16). Spoke with a manager in customer service who allowed me to purchase 2 unaccompanied minor services ($150 USD each way) and assured me all was arranged.

Departure was a bit rocky as originating airport could find to reference to the chaperone purchase. Finally found it and she was allowed to board. Chaperone I had paid for did not show up in Dulles and fortunately a departing flight attendant took her to her gate for 2nd flight. For return flight United in Charlotte absolutely refused to let her board and advised they didn't care about chaperone agreement. United head office agreed with them. They finally managed (after almost 2 hours) to get her on an American Airlines flight (lovely people) and she made it home.

Received refund for 1 portion of chaperone fee and am awaiting response as to whether I can get refund for original flight. That being said, you can't apply for these online or on phone, you have to fax them in so we will have to see. Contacted Aeroplan and was advised that despite whatever their system did it was my problem/issue with airline as to whether she was allowed to fly. 20 years as Aeroplan collector and have put up with their ridiculous excuse for redeeming points but am done.

Original review: July 31, 2017

Today I was trying to book a hotel for an upcoming trip to Toronto using my Aeroplan points, as I've done many times over the past decade. When I searched for available hotels on the Aeroplan site, having specified "Toronto" and "City Centre" (the other choice being "Airport"), the site returned 13 search results. Of those 13 "Toronto hotels", only TWO were actually in Metro Toronto city limits, which is what you expect when you specify "city centre". Three more were in far flung corners of the "Greater Toronto Area" (GTA), five were in other cities at least one hour from the Toronto city centre (assuming perfect traffic flow!) and, finally, yes, THREE were in NEW YORK STATE! Then I saw the announcement that one of the hotel chains I had often booked with has dropped Aeroplan altogether - ouch.

As an Aeroplan member since 2001, I had long ago concluded from bitter experience that using points to book flights was almost always a waste of time - too few seats available and too few flights to choose from. However, I had stayed in the program to book hotels. Now that too is apparently a waste of time, so I intend to leave and would advise anyone considering Aeroplan to think again.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I have a high number of Aeroplan points and was looking to use them for an Air Canada flight from London to Toronto for my daughter and her family. The points themselves were reasonable. However, the taxes and fees etc. added a huge number of points based on a cash figure of $2063.44. I then checked with the airline direct and found that the total cost was $2876.90 including taxes, fees etc. That in itself makes it hardly worthwhile to use points and booking direct would add Aeroplan points rather than using over 400,000. However, my question is why Air Canada indicate taxes etc. at $733 and Aeroplan $2063? They should surely be the same as the definition that Aeroplan use on their website for this part of the cost is "Miles will cover all taxes, fees, charges and carrier surcharges related to a flight reward that are imposed by the airlines, governments or authorities".

Note that there is no mention of fees to Aeroplan. It would be extortionate even if they did, but which 'authorities' are receiving the extra $1330? Surely this is borderline or actually illegal? It appears that Aeroplan are making money under the pretext of it being imposed by bodies external to them. There is absolutely no point in querying this by calling the helpline as, notwithstanding the time taken to get through, there appears to be facility to escalate a complaint to a higher level. The executives of the company hide their contact details and there is no way to email a complaint.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Been looking to redeem points for the past two years, and so far have not been able to find available dates at regular points usage, even when looking out as far as they book. EXTREMELY frustrated. This organization should been fined and put out of business. While I've used my points to travel numerous times over 15 years, the ability to actually find available travel dates (even as far out as 6+ months) has with time, become increasingly impossible with Aeroplan (especially to South America and most Caribbean/Southern destinations).

Website availability calendars will show available dates, however departure and return dates are "purposely" set so far apart that selecting travel for 1 week periods has "by design" been made almost impossible. Selecting "stated" available dates almost always ends up costing a "premium" number of points. Good luck trying to reach customer service as waits are consistently a minimum 30-60 minutes. Customer service is the worst of the worst. My advice to anyone considering applying to become an Aeroplan member is to look elsewhere. As soon as I'm able to redeem travel points (which may never happen), I'll be signing up with another rewards program. Shame on Aeroplan and I feel sorry for their employees who have to work for such a disreputable company with worst reviews I've ever read. Avoid at all cost.

Original review: June 18, 2017

I booked a flight last night with Aeroplan to business class from YOW to YVR, only to find out that I could not travel on that date, so I cancelled and called Aeroplan as soon they opened at 07:30 this morning. When I explained what had happened, they said rebooking would cost 100$ and a full refund would cost me 150$ to refund points and dollar portion I paid. I had trust in them for having a honest and fair policy which is not true. Advice for others reading this: call as soon as they open and they answer fast but this mean 04:30 in BC.

While I had new travel dates, I decided to go for a refund as to avoid this again in the future. I told the agent it's better to pay for your flight, this way, it gives you 24 hours to change your mind without fees on any class of fare paid and without the hassle. The agent being rude asked me where did I find a 24 hours, she said when you book, it's final. It cost 100$ to re-book, if more than 22 days from travel, 150$ for refund to reinstate your purchase, if not you have a credit for a year on same class you booked. You need to contact Aeroplan to rebook where this is when they charge you 100$ up to a year. After the year, you forfeit your ticket. You only get one email on this so don't lose it. If you can't find business class, you can book economy but you forfeit half your miles and if it costs more, you pay more.

Availability is very poor and most flights are either too early, too late or with a connecting flight as when you compare on Air Canada site, there are 5 or 6 times more flights there. Seats and flights are very limited. I managed to get YOW to YVR business class one way this time but had to check calendar and choose a date 3 weeks from when I really wanted to travel. I decided to get a refund, paid 150$ plus tax, miles instantly went back in my account. To not take another risk, I decided to redeem for 4 gift cards leaving my balance almost at zero. I have American Express Platinum card which is 499$ a year, I will keep as long as they partner with Fairmont to give me Platinum benefits thereto, it's worth it. If that partnership gets cancelled, then I cancel my card as I will not use any of the other benefits that related to the Aeroplan program except for lounge's access.

I heard Air Canada is leaving Aeroplan by 2020 to start their own program, I can't wait to see what the new program would have in store but I will surely try it. My return flight was booked with Westjet dollars, when I called this morning, no hassle, got credited everything no charge as it's within 24 hours. I hope the new Air Canada points system works similar to the Westjet program. I have been a member since 2001, was great at start but in recent years, the program is failing, same as AirMiles where I stopped accumulating miles, I will do same with Aeroplan. I will not go out of my way to accumulate Aeroplan miles and will only get those from business that only offer them but will book gifts cards instead. MyPlan: when I reach 3500 Aeroplan, I will redeem for a 25$ gift card that I can use.

Original review: May 12, 2017

I have been a member since 1992. Recently I tried to use my miles for a one way ticket from Toronto to SFO. I did not have sufficient miles so I decided to purchase what I needed. When I got done investigating, the amount I had to pay (not including the over 34K miles I had) was more than the cost of a one-way ticket! I decided to fly from Detroit. Then I was told my miles were going to expire. I have never heard that airline miles expire with any other airlines, so I went online to see how I could use them. None of the gift card options were of interest so I donated them to a charity. I have chopped up my card and will not try to use it again. When I went online with Aeroplan to try to contact them electronically, I could not find a way to do that.

Original review: May 8, 2017

My wife and I are planning a trip to Australia in March of 2018. We have booked a cruise and require round trip airfare Toronto to Sydney. We have been saving our points so we can fly business class on this flight. I checked in advance with Aeroplan when we could book this flight, as I wanted to book it as early as possible to get business class seats. It was recommended to me that we book one way travel, that way we could book the outbound flight as early as possible, as these seats could be gone if we waited for the return flight to open up. I was told we could book 350 days in advance.

I checked regularly when the flight would open. On the day the flight opened, I found a flight direct (with a stop in Vancouver) that showed available seats. When I went to book it, it came up and said "due to real time availability the seats were not available". I thought this was because I was too early. I kept trying on that day, nothing. The next morning when I checked the flight did not appear on the search. I then called Aeroplan. They told me there was only one business class flight available. What!!! I proceeded to book one business class flight and one economy. I was later able to upgrade the economy to premium economy (for more points). When I checked the Air Canada site for this flight, there was only one seat taken in business and one in premium economy.

This indicates the Air Canada only ever gave ONE seat to Aeroplan in business class. I spoke with Aeroplan and they confirmed this. When I went to book the one way tickets for the return flight, the same problem. Still checking and the only seats taken in business is our seat. This is totally unacceptable. You save miles for a long time to use them, you go online EARLY and there are no seats. This is not because someone got in before I did, I could accept this, but because Air Canada has not given Aeroplan sufficient seats for 2 people to travel together. Totally unacceptable. This makes we wonder I participate in the Aeroplan reward program, I think I would be better with a different reward program.

Original review: May 6, 2017

They never credit my miles, I always have to call after each trip. Even then when I try to enter missing miles online, it seems that there is always some kind of a problem. Then you call and they make wait for hours on the phone, to finally let you know that you have to send a special email. After sending an email for each flight, they always make sure 1 or 2 are missing in your account. It seems they do everything possible to avoid crediting you, your earn miles, they mainly hope that you will simply forget about that. Aeroplan is simply a rip off company, can't really believe that Air Canada deals with them, what a disgrace.

Original review: April 19, 2017

Aeroplan appears to be intentionally blocking reward seats on 2 Star Alliance partner carriers AVIANCA and COPA with only an explanation that it is an IT problem with no expected date of fixing. Yet researching the web I find that there are other travelers experiencing the same problem and that it is ONLY Aeroplan doing it. Other Star Alliance carriers apparently are not. If they are the reward program of a Star Alliance Carrier (Air Canada) they should, under no circumstances, be allowed to block reward inventory from other Star Alliance carriers. It is part of the reason we give Air Canada our business... Shameful.

Original review: April 1, 2017

I had a large number of Aeroplan miles but did not use my Aeroplan card much. I received an email last April just before I left on vacation that my miles would expire soon. During the vacation I presented the card on at least 4 flights with Air Canada partners and it was accepted without comment so I assumed the points were reset and did not check my account. Only recently when I was checking my account did I realize that they had rejected each of my attempts to deposit the Miles and then deleted the Miles. Only when I called them did they inform me that the Air Canada flights were on a class which did not give Aeroplan miles. There is nothing in the Aeroplan documentation that indicates only some Air Canada (and partner) flights give Miles. Therefore I think I should have been given the benefit of the doubt and had my Aeroplan miles restored but Aeroplan would not even consider that option.

Original review: March 13, 2017

Why do I pay a much higher charge for taxes and fees when I book a flight with my Aeroplan miles than for the same flight booked directly with the airline? For example, a Montreal-Toronto flight booked with Aeroplan costs 7500 points plus $85.22 in taxes, fees and surcharges; same flight booked online with Air Canada directly costs $124. 31, including taxes, fees and charges of $54.31. Is this legal? Does Air Canada not care that so many Canadians complain about this "loyalty" program?

Original review: March 13, 2017

Tried to use 55,778 Aeroplan miles to cut down the price of a trip for my daughter and I to Serbia this summer by using the miles and buying the rest. On at least two other travel sites, the cost for the flight without using miles was between $1200 and $1300 per person. Then I tried on Aeroplan - even using my 55,778 Aeroplan miles (oh AND I am an Aeroplan silver member - whatever that means), the cost of the flight requires me to use ALL of the miles PLUS $1315.59 in cash!!! See print screen. What a waste of time. I am going to get an RBC Avion card - I hear really good things about THEIR reward program.

Original review: March 1, 2017

The whole reward points is scam, I never got an email and no mail but somehow they decided that my points were expired. I guess one of their employees needed my points that took me years to accumulate. SCAM AND FRAUD ALL THE WAY. Very disappointed, I cancelled my TD Visa card that links to the Aeroplan as well.

Aeroplan Company Information