Aeroplan

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Dale of Nanaimo, BC on

Aeroplan points are useless. There used to be a time when the program was pretty good. Being a member for 24 years I have watched it erode to the point that the points and status mean nothing anymore, unless the old Super Elite Status, which is almost impossible to obtain now. For about the fourth time this year I have sat down for over an hour trying to get a flight in 11 months from now, this time, from YVR to London looking for Business but Economy only and a layover in Montreal or Toronto. So I move my date of departure up down close to a month, nothing. I change routing, try and find a flight that is direct and save the 6-9 hour layover and hotel.

I am trying to plan a multi-city for two so trying to reduce travel time. Here is an example of the searches I get back: YVR to London 15 hr 20 mins, London to Rome, 2 stops, 9 hr 30 min travel time. Total Duration 23 Hrs 53 mins. I move it from YVR - Frankfurt or Paris or Rome or anywhere to get decent flight as my dates are flexible. So I go on the AC website avoiding Aeroplan and within 3 minutes the first search is a direct flight with one stop over and lots of seats available, total travel time 13 hrs 40 mins only $900.00 more for two tickets. Using points the taxes and fees are outrageous!!! These are old points as I travel a lot but never AC if I can avoid it on international travel these past few years due to this program.

Also the planes are often older and interior in disrepair and the so called loyalty program is useless. If you book through an agent who will try and find you a seat sale they might book on another Star Alliance portal (airline) to book on an AC flight as it is cheaper for some reason when they are looking at times in the hundreds of dollars. That makes sense to anyone even to AC you would think, but guess what, points don't count towards status. You must book with AC and fly on an AC plane or one operated by AC to get qualifying miles on a flight towards perks like lounge access, etc. So you pay more, fly on an older plane to get stale food and a free beer in a lounge also priority check in. If I can figure out how to ever get rid of these points, 360,000 points on a flight or a bunch of gas cards is my next step.

I have now dropped my Aeroplan credit card and picked one with lounge access and baggage perks and next switch to Lufthansa's program. Still Star Alliance and a much better loyalty program, the airline recognizes flights with all star alliance members. Better Loyalty program website and much better planes, well done Aeroplan, you drove me to do some pretty intense research to avoid you after 24 years by trying to force me to pay more to use your airline booking service and by trying to force me to just buy a ticket by making redeeming points. So inconvenient to a loyalty program member.

Ariadne of Calgary, AB on

Today I was booking flights online for myself and my parents. I made a mistake and called the call center immediately. I waited 2 hours the first time and no one answered. Then I called again and waited for 1 1/2 hours. No one answered. I went to cancel two of the flights out of three and it cost me 300 dollars. Not to mention that there are no decent flights available, no one wants to talk to you. Their service has always been awful, but this is over the top horrendous. THEY SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO BE IN BUSINESS.

Sharleen of Leamington, ON on

My experience is that I am consistently getting "Page not found." I have an account and have had one for years. I have being trying to book flights using my points, I put in all the information necessary to book and then I am consistently getting "PAGE NOT FOUND." I have tried different days at different times... same thing every time. Is this their way of not allowing people to use their points? I cannot get through on the Help line.

rob of Calgary, AB on

OK, so here is the deal. I traveled a lot on AC - Super Elite for 10 years. Lots of international travel. Let me give you an idea how I was treated. About 5-6 years into being Super Elite I was late for a flight in Houston. I called the Super Elite phone number (which gets answered immediately) and told them I was going to miss the flight. They ask how late, and I said probably 10 mins. "No problem, you might make it, the flight is late". Well, I got to the gate agent and they were pulling the jet way from the plane. The agent looked up, saw my passport and immediately radioed the pilot. Yes, you are reading this right, they opened up the plane and I boarded. And it goes on, I have punted poor souls off planes because I needed the seat at the last minute and so on. Not proud of this, AC simply allowed it.

Now that I am a mere "mortal" (and my life is far more balanced), I am trying to use the 100's of thousands of Aeroplan miles I have accumulated and it is impossible. When I was Super Elite, this was never a problem. Want to fly biz class to Hawaii last minute? I would log in and choose my flights, pay very little in taxes/fees and off we went. Easy! Fly to Asia and upgrade to biz class, not problem. I would often buy an economy ticket and get upgraded merely by asking when I checked in.

However, now, it is hopeless. The program is clearly geared toward Super Elite flyers, which means you are literally in the air 4-7 months of the year. This is sad. Frankly, I wish Aeroplan would simply "call a spade a spade" and terminate the program for non-frequent flyers as it gives false hope, collects data on purchasing habits without anything in return and sours people on travel. The latter really bothers me because travel is what makes us more human!

In a nutshell, take a deep breath and liquidate your Aeroplan account using "gas cards" or buying a TV you don't need. Then cancel the account. Then, get a "Travel rewards" card from any of the banks. TD has a good program with Expedia. Then you will get 1.5% "cash" back and if you use Expedia For TD to book your travel, you will get a total of 2.5% cash back on the travel you do book through Expedia For TD. Unless you want to travel on business (and it better be worth the sacrifices that come with it) and achieve Super Elite Status, the Aeroplan program is not worth the stress or hassle.

ANISHA of Winnipeg, MB on

I had terrible experience with Aeroplan. I booked a hotel using my points and I was charged at the hotel again. It's been 3-4 months and I am still waiting for my refund. It's impossible to get ahold of a customer service representative. Based on my Facebook review supervisor contacted me and she was very rude. She was very suspicious about my complaint. She asked me to send my credit card statement to her and when I sent it it's automatically getting blocked from their end due to security concerns.

I have sent email from different email IDs but none of them worked and when I explained this to her she was mad saying "I am getting emails from all other customers." "Then why I am not receiving your email?" And she said "You first check with your bank if they have charged you or not." As if I was lying. Finally somehow she got the email and she said we will refund my money back within 3 weeks and I did not get any refund, so when I called today they said it's 8 weeks not 3 weeks, so still I have to wait. I want to cancel my TD Aeroplan visa card after I receive my refund. It's useless. Please don't get this card ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aeroplan?

Will of Toronto, ON on

The website doesn't refresh. Bookings are no longer possible, even after hours of multiple attempts, across three different browsers. Technical Support (option #4) disconnects you rather than talk with you, after 21 and 38 minute waits respectively. Option #1, a real person, when I actually get one, insists on charging fees because I didn't use the website - which doesn't even work. The company is trying to make Aeroplan more of a profit center by ensuring that everyone pays a service fee rather than use their hobbled online services (that used to work well).

Chris of Spruce Grove, AB on

It's almost impossible to get a hold of anybody at Aeroplan. Their phone number has the longest hold times. Sometimes they're so busy that they won't let you hold. I have a dispute with them but they make it impossible so you just give up. I've canceled my TD credit card because of them. I will change banks as well if TD bank continues to be associated with these crooks.

sheena of Toronto, ON on

I would like to know why Aeroplan make it impossible to use air miles. I have tried the following: Tried to book an Air Canada vacation with my husband using points. We cannot book separately because we are sharing a room. To transfer miles from one to the other, it costs over $1,000 which is more than the cost of the trip. Tried to use an Air Canada gift voucher to pay. Can't do that as it can only be used on Air Canada flights. Tried to book various trips on points - usually involves several stops and takes 12 plus hours to get somewhere that should take four maximum.

Tried to book a flight to Europe. It requires a huge number of points and then you charge a surcharge of I think about $550, that is higher than booking the flight with Air Transit or West Jet. Tried to use them all up by flying business class to Europe. Your surcharge is about $1200. Why is there a bigger surcharge to fly business class? I am sick and tired of this. I pay an annual fee for credit cards to accumulate miles and then cannot use them or the cost of using them is too high. I will cancel those cards and never fly Air Canada again. I will not let this go and if will take it to any level to ensure people know that their points are worthless.

Glen of Calgary, AB on

I have carefully examined the demerits of Aeroplan. It is nothing short of a complete scam. The premise of this card is by using their Visa; you are to collect points to reduce the purchase on flight, hotel, and car rental. In fact, the opposite holds true. You will indeed have to pay more for all three... a lot more! They inflate the costs of the hotel and car rental prices; and then reduce the costs marginally; making it look like they're actually saving the Aeroplan member money. No; not at all. In fact, on their car rentals; you stand to save over $400 dollars, in a week, by seeking out your own deal. Same holds true for the hotel.

On the flights. What an absolute sham. To take a 6-hour trip, it was going to take me a day and a half with a one-day stopover on the opposite side of the continent; in order to make the points work for me. My advice? Take your card and file it under "G". There are a lot of seniors who might get taken for a ride on this. The government should not allow this to happen. Their phone lines are busy forever. So unless you have a spare 2 to 3 hours to get through; then forget it. The person who I eventually spoke to, was an angry female who was sarcastic and adolescent. Stay away!

Patrice of Vancouver, BC on

No other option than calling the 800 number to change your reservation from abroad. So be ready to pay a fortune! Especially after a 45 min wait! It is very absurd a TRAVEL program doesn't take responsibility for contacting them for free during a TRAVEL!!! The Montreal manager assured me they didn't care how their clients decided to contact Aeroplan from abroad (as if there were options...) and they don't refund the calls because they would go BANKRUPT!!! Aeroplan? With what they charge for a ticket??? While most Airlines have an international toll free or a collect call number... That's not what I call valuing your customers.

Ronna of Lethbridge, AB on

We switched our rewards credit card about a year ago after trying time and time again to book flights with Aeroplan with no success. They RARELY have flights to where you are going and if they do it is ridiculously long i.e. 24-hour flight with layovers. We had accumulated over 250,000 miles that we could never use. And now they have cancelled all our 250,000 miles because we didn't use them within the last 12 months despite the fact that we tried to use them many times. How can you use Aeroplan points when their flight availability is so pathetic! DO NOT EVER GET AN AEROPLAN REWARD CREDIT CARD! YOU WILL REGRET IT. Our new reward credit card is awesome. A thousand times better than our Aeroplan card.

Beverley Anne of Clarksburg, ON on

Just as everyone else, Aeroplan does not answer their phones. There is the constant claim to have "higher than normal calling". Get some extra help!!! I was charged for Economy Plus but got an Economy flight. These points need to be returned to me. I need an address for snail mail or an e-mail address to write a letter and include the Boarding Passes. I have spent months trying to find these 2 things. Calling doesn't work so I thought print format would. Where is this company and how do you get hold of them to make complaints?

Astrid of Grand Forks, BC on

I will be cancelling my Aeroplan visa. No matter how many points you have, when it comes time to redeem them, there will be nothing available. Just keep collecting those points, but good luck ever using them. Joke.

Robin of Stratford, ON on

I go through this every year. Here's my experience. My daughter lives in London England. I use my points to bring her home at Christmas. So, I sign on to see the availability. I usually haven't transferred points from Aventura... Always lots of availability. So, I call Aventura to top up my Aeroplan points. They disappear from Aventura immediately, but take about 4-5 days to show up in Aeroplan. (Why is that in this digital day and age?) So I wait the 4 or 5 days and I sign on again. Le Voila, no availability, or if there is, it's at their 'market value' section which is usually double the normal poor schlep's category. This has happened every year for the last 4 or 5 years, which is why I'm convinced it's a scam. The system sees how many points you have, and determines what it will show you.

If you have enough points for their regular stream, there suddenly is nothing available and so recommends you try their market value stream where you'll have to 'top up' your miles and they make more money. It usually ends in a shouting match between me and some poor Aeroplan person, who of course can't help me. Last year, I ended up just buying a full price flight, which at Christmas, wasn't cheap. This year, I started 3 months early, and there's STILL no availability... 3 months early! What a crappy company. Who runs this business anyway? There should be laws about these scammy reward programs. Air Miles is no better... way fewer service ports and still ridiculous extra charges. And just when I was going to use them, WHAM... they raised the amount needed for a flight. Pr-cks! I'm sick of these reward programs that aren't really reward programs at all, and I'm now on blood pressure medication. But, Merry Christmas to all!!

Ian of West Vancouver, BC on

It's nice that Aeroplan waits for all the eastern time zone patrons to plan their trips in the evening and go to bed before it decides to shut down for its nightly maintenance which is now every day at 9:30 pm west coast time. This makes it virtually impossible to plan a trip during our evening in the western time zone. Aeroplan have shut down every night this week!

It could be moderately acceptable if they were busy adding new flights instead of figuring out new ways to extort the maximum amount of points from Aeroplan customers while flying them with as many layovers as possible that include lengthy connection times. If you then decide to buy into using more points for Business for better timing then you will get the pleasure of flying Economy for the longest legs, and with luck, you might get a Business seat for the final 50 minute flight on a commuter airline that has no business class seating. Seriously, what a joke!

Elayne of St. John'S, NL on

Aeroplan, when connected to Air Canada, was so-so. Now it is impossible. I have lost days trying to deal with them and that is not an exaggeration. Aeroplan sure does not work for me as someone who does not want merchandise, but to fly. And last year, my "free" ticket to Portugal from Canada cost me more than a flight purchased through a carrier; not to mention the lost time dealing with them BEFORE and AFTER. Their ads speak of relaxing and fulfilling a dream, but they have become so bad, I am on edge/made nervous if flying via them, knowing if anything goes wrong, it's likely to entail spending more $$$$ or enduring awful hassles. Nightmare, not dream.

Can anyone explain why they are permitted to cheat so much and so long and still exist? Or in all seriousness, what is the "smartest" way to use the 200,000 miles I have with them and change loyalty cards? I have heard and read hundreds and hundreds of complaining reports about them and yet they still exist. What are we doing wrong??? How can we punish them?

Peter of Toronto, ON on

I am trying to change a reward flight, which cannot be done online. I have access to their priority line and have not been able to get through for 3 days. If I wait in line, having to listen to horrible repetitive music, after about 50 minutes there is a message saying they are having problems (no kidding!) and to try again later. Thanks a lot Aeroplan! There is no way to contact them by email. Interestingly, they did send me an email apologising (not accepted by me!) and suggesting I use the website. This only made me more irritated. I replied to this, only to get an email saying emails are not accepted!

I tried calling Air Canada, but the wait time is 20-25 minutes! No point in this, since they won't change a reward flight in any case. My wife and I have tons of Aeroplan points. If I can find a way to transfer them to British Airways, which has excellent customer service, without an outrageous discount (cf Points.com), I will. Otherwise, once we have used them up, it will be bye bye to Aeroplan, and Air Canada (whenever possible).

Don of Langley, BC on

I am currently on hold for the call centre and it's been almost an hour. Earlier in the week I tried calling and after almost 2 hours I gave up. I received an email after that call saying how sorry they were for my wait and hopefully my next call would be better(??). Apparently not. Has the system for direct calls gone away? This is unacceptable to all customers that deal with Aeroplan. It's time to switch my credit card from TD/Aeroplan and go to another card that offers travel points.

Tom of Regina, SK on

We needed to change our flight tickets; called 5 times over the course of 3 days. 3/5 times we were hung up on, the other 2 times the robot told us they were experiencing "technical difficulties". WE WERE NEVER ABLE TO TALK TO A PERSON. We weren't even given the option of waiting on hold. We just cancelled all 3 of our Aeroplan credit cards. Good riddance!

Dana of Mill Village., NS on

So currently at 1 hour and 33 minutes waiting for Aeroplan to answer. I called this morning and waited for 45 mins until my phone died. I charged the phone and called back around 3. This is an absolute disaster of a business, the hassle and frustration is hardly worth the rewards. Cancelling my TD Aeroplan visa and cutting up the Aeroplan card. Totally dissatisfied with call wait times and when they do answer staff is unapologetic and rude. Wouldn't recommend flying this way to anyone. When I initially booked my flight I did so on-line and there wasn't a way to add a pet so here I am flying out in two days and I have been trying to book her on for the last week. If I could on-line I would.

Jeff of Edmonton, AB on

Aeroplan website is down for maintenance almost every evening by 9/10pm until 10AM the next day. This makes it impossible to check fares if you are busy all day. Even in the morning I can't check. It's crazy! What's the point of a website, if it only works during shopping hours? Isn't the idea to work when the stores are closed? If I have a flight coming up, I can't do ANYTHING about it. All I continue to get is "We Are Sorry..." EVERY DAY!

Adel of Toronto, ON on

I was trying to reach Aeroplan contact center (1-800-361-5373) but no one is answering. I have been waiting for almost an hour and a half since 7 am ET, and still waiting! I am not sure if there is anyone available to provide customer care. I wonder if Aeroplan has provided false information to customers. This has been a very disappointing experience.

Justin of Richmond Hill, ON on

Spent whole night, waste 370k points (one-way transfer from american express), didn't get the ticket that I want (on their website shows available all the time). Called customer center and waited 50 mins. I was told that there is nothing they could do and then somehow the phone was disconnect. Aeroplan is the worst and most unprofessional company, absolutely useless!!!

John of Aurora, ON on

Just spent an hour and 15 minutes on the phone with Aeroplan, trying to get a defective dash camera they sold me as a reward replaced. It did not work, right out of the box. Tried to contact Aeroplan several times, on hold for over half an hour each time, 'til I had to give up. Finally got through today. Their answer, they will do nothing if item is not returned to them within two business days. It does not say anything about this policy on the order page of their website. In fact there is nothing on their website about defective merchandise that I can find. I made the mistake of taking a week to get through to them.

Now I'm out the points I paid, plus I have a defective product. Uniden says it has to go back to Aeroplan. Aeroplan says I should have returned it within two days. What BS! Aeroplan makes up rules as they go along to evade responsibility. They will look into the matter, they say and get back to me, in a week or so, because they are very busy. What happened to their TWO-DAY RULE!

Setanta of 3, BC on

One of the most unprofessional and disorganized companies I have had the misfortune of selecting as a consumer. Incredibly poor customer service - long wait on the phone >1hr:30, unsatisfactory answer and I now need to wait 4 more weeks to refund points from a cancelled trip (I had cancelled 2 weeks already). I feel sorry for the customer service team as they are obviously limited to the support they can offer customers - whoever is in charge of policy seems not to care whatsoever about the poor reputation being built. Can't wait to use the points and drop them as soon as possible.

Mariana of Miss, ON on

I just spent one hour, 10 minutes & 37 seconds on hold. What kind of customer service does this establishment have? I just found out all of my points are "expired" however I can buy them back if I'd like. Who does that? This card along with their entire business model is a scam. Why bother putting expiry dates on points? Why can't people use them as they see fit? I have many points cards, including other travel cards and their points don't expire. What bs. I used to tell my family & friends to sign up for Aeroplan, now I'll be encouraging them to cancel them instead. If anyone out there is wondering about signing up for an Aeroplan card, DON'T!!

Erik of Midhurst, ON on

At one time, it was possible to transfer your points painlessly and at no cost to your spouse and children. We had a great flight in Bus Class to Europe in 1995 all on points! Now, along with the taxes and fees the cost to transfer 25,000 points to my wife for a cross continental flight is almost equal to a regularly priced ticket! Why bother with these guys. Over 300,000 points or miles in my account that basically have zero value! Aeroplan is almost irrelevant now.

Douglas of Charlottetown, PE on

I have flown with these guy 4 times in the last 8 months and received zero credit in my Aeroplan account. I have always ensured the Aeroplan account number was entered correctly when making the reservation. The account is active as they deleted points that were 12 months old. They are good at doing that on time. Tried to call into their call center but cannot even get into the queue to wait. Message just says they are too busy and call back later. Waste of time trying to use this program. United Airlines MUCH better... Good bye Aeroplan and Air Canada.

Jenifer-Lyn of Toronto, ON on

It is impossible to ever get in touch with anyone. The point system is an absolute scam. I often wait up to two hours to speak to a representative who is always unhelpful. It is so user unfriendly to book any flights. The taxes on the flights are significantly higher than if I book directly with the airline. It truly is a scam and I often give up on even using my points since it is such an arduous process!!!

bob of Edmonton, AB on

Sat on the phone for over an hour and a half. Took forever, got fed up and also went on the website and it was confusing and unhelpful. I kept getting redirected and that I already was a member but I had no password and tried to create one it wouldn't let me. Just a nightmare for one damn question. What a gong show!

Aeroplan Company Profile