3.53/5

Looking for a travel site?

Aeroplan

Looking for a travel site?

240 Aeroplan Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

Desperate to secure a Business-Class YYZ-FLL flight, several months we booked 2 late-day, 1-way tickets, on the only available non-stop flight. The "fees/taxes" totalled $250. Today, I discovered that Aeroplan offers a Market Fare (Black) for the alternate flight we originally wanted for an additional points, and ONLY $62 per person for "taxes/fees". Why the difference? Hopefully once the Air Canada buyout is completed this price-gouging will end!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

This so-called "loyalty" program is a farce! I have been a member of Aeroplan since the '80s and have always chosen Air Canada whenever possible. Last year I went to Italy for a family vacation that I had been saving my points for. I had enough points for a "free" flight and I purchased tickets for the other 3 members of my family. My "free" flight cost me $578 for taxes, fees, etc. The taxes, fees, etc. for the 3 other tickets were approximately $250. Keep in mind that the flights for 3 paid tickets plus 1 Aeroplan points ticket were exactly the same aircraft, time, etc. When I asked the Aeroplan representative why such a variance existed in fees for the exact same flight, I was told that is just the way Air Canada does it and it has nothing to do with Aeroplan. Good way to pass the buck.

Fast forward to present time. I had nearly 29,000 points after my trip to Italy, which Aeroplan just stole because I had no activity on my account for 12 months. Apparently, I received an e-mail - one e-mail is all they send. No other warnings. The Consumer Protection Act bans most retail business gift cards from having an expiry date for most provinces in Canada. Why not the same for Aeroplan points? I, like other reviewers that lost their points, earned points by choosing what airline to use. Air Canada should find another provider for their loyalty program if they want loyalty from the consumer. There are many other choices and the list is growing. I am cutting up my Aeroplan card and will look to other providers for future flights.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

For round trip Los-Angeles - Narita I've got miles for the return flight, so after several weeks I decided to request the missing miles for the first leg of the trip. Unfortunately, multiple attempts made throughout several days end up with the same "We were unable to completely submit your request. Please wait 24hrs and try resubmitting your request for the items highlighted in red. All other requests were submitted successfully. We apologize for any inconvenience." message. No indication of missing information, nothing... Contacted Aeroplan - they cannot submit request on my behalf, suggested that the issue will be escalated to their technical department. It was two weeks ago, and still - no changes.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Aeroplan is not a loyalty program. The only loyalty is on the part of their members. Member since 1998 and had over 95000 miles expired in May 2019. Didn’t realize until I started booking some flights in July. Appears I was sent an email a month prior to them expiring buried in my junk/promotional mail. Looked up how to have my miles reinstated. Great! I had a hotel stay in April which I received the partner points for which were not yet converted to Aeroplan miles. I believed the hotel account was setup to automatically convert to Aeroplan but it appears it wasn’t occurring. So I converted the points to miles on their system and called Aeroplan and was told there was nothing they could do because it was a conversion and wasn’t completed prior to my expiry date.

Didn’t matter that I could sent them a copy of the invoice from the hotel. Told me I needed to contact Accor to have them post the hotel stay. They don’t care how the miles get in my account as long as they get there prior to my expiry date. Contacted Accor to see if they would be sympathetic to my situation, reverse what I had done online and attempt a manual system transaction to the Aeroplan system but they indicated they could not. Reading these comments has given me some comfort in that I am not alone in my frustration and disappointment. I feel Aeroplan could do a better job in notifying its loyal members when miles are going to expire, especially with such a large number of miles. You could also provide an exception process when there is a system and timing issue such as my case, then I could consider Aeroplan a “loyalty” program.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I lost all of my rewards points due to them expiring. I had booked a flight prior to them expiring and was told the points would be returned because I booked prior to the expiry date. I have contacted them and have now been told the trip through Air Canada did not qualify even though my Aeroplan number was accepted. Aeroplan said sorry there is nothing they are willing to do. Worst reward program I have ever dealt with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aeroplan?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

They erased my 54,000 points because no activities in 12 months, said sent me email reminded me which I have never received, even in my junk mail. After reading the reviews here, it's clear this company has become a crook, you can tell from the way the rep talk. I can't believe this company still in business, I will definitely ban this business on my dealing list forever, including those partners. They need another class law suit to punish.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

When I booked my flight from Los Angeles to Toronto, the agent mistake my word to Las Vegas to Toronto. And she repeat flight information to me very quickly. My mistake is I didn't double check the flight information again. When I called back to complained, they told me that they checked my conversation and I said Las Vegas several time during my conversation. This is a lie totally. I may said Los Angeles not very clear, and I may said yes when agent said Vegas several times. But I never said Las Vegas in my conversation even once. I was told this is a final decision, and there is no department in Aeroplan to receive my complaint.

Original review: July 25, 2019

I was not awarded the points for nearly $5000 worth of car rentals, which I booked through the Aeroplan portal via Avis. In addition to providing my Aeroplan number at the time of each booking, I also provided it at the Avis check-in counter. I’ve written to both Avis and Aeroplan on several occasions regarding this issue and neither company will accept responsibility. I’ve been an Aeroplan member for nearly ten years and I have (but will be cancelling) an Aeroplan travel credit card. I’ve always chosen to fly with Air Canada whenever possible in order to accrue frequent flyer miles. Aeroplan, Air Canada and Avis have all lost my loyalty. I’m fed up with their horrific lack of customer service. Adios!

Original review: July 14, 2019

I as well have experienced the same situation as everyone below. Aeroplan just felt that they could take 157,000 points from me. They said like everyone else that they send me an email notifying me (which I never got) and if I did it was sent buried in all of their other promotional stuff. I have been with Aeroplan for 27 years, and just because I am inactive for a year they feel they have the right to, for a better word rob me of points which I have paid for?? Shameful of you. You call yourself a "LOYALTY" program. Where is your loyalty to me after 27 years of supporting you.

Original review: July 8, 2019

How can Aeroplan continue to be a viable business entity! What absolutely poor customer service from, imho, a 360 degree perspective! Ordered product with Costco.ca which included Aeroplan points on April 6/19 and after various conversations w/ Costco.ca Customer Service Dept. and their person 'manually' contacting Aeroplan on June 6/19 to address my Reward Points, nothing has occurred that would result in my getting the points credited to my Aeroplan account.

I've been trying to contact Aeroplan's 1 800 361-5373 number and have actually talked to two different Customer Service Reps who have connected me with Customer Service Dept. only to end up being hung up on due to 'technical difficulties'! Why would the initial rep not have been aware that they were having technical issues. Hmm...been calling back for last 3 hours with no human contact with someone who can help me to just get what I thought would be a 'no-brainer': my Costco.ca purchase that awarded me with Aeroplan points. If this is how Air Canada operates its businesses, Lord forbid!

Initially when I enquired with Aeroplan as to getting my points, they sent me to Costco.ca to deal with. Then contacted Costco.ca and they said they would contact Aeroplan for rewarding me my points. While, 3 months later, no points; no positive communication with Aeroplan to date. I was wanting to use these points for a special flight but now it is too late. Aeroplan is extremely challenging for me just to talk to someone who can answer my question: Where in the world are my Costco/Aeroplan points?

Aeroplan Company Information