Aeroplan

Aeroplan Reviews

Stars Rating

• 100%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aeroplan?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aeroplan?

Reviewed Jan. 9, 2024

I have been calling 1-800-361-5373 for 2.5hrs. I want them to send me a new card as my card is lost. I can't get a human on the phone. They keep bringing me to a department and then saying, "The call volumes are too high. Can't connect you." That is ridiculous. This is the worst service I have ever experienced. You can never get these guys on the phone. They transferred everything to an automatic system that does not work and sends you back to the website. They are beyond horrible.... Almost just want to cancel everything.... They Absolute suck!

Contract & Terms

Reviewed Dec. 1, 2023

My Aeroplan acct was frozen for x reason. I opened the acct in 11 of '22 and only made 2 transactions since, 1 at opening, I transferred 154700 points from Chase, and in August I transferred 2000 points from Amex. None of the above violates any of your terms and conditions.

Reviewed Nov. 2, 2023

I tried to book an Air Canada flight using my Aeroplan Account. When I tried to log in, it said my account was deactivated and I needed to call the helpline. There were no other options to get help, no email options, no live chat, nothing. I called the helpline every day for 9 days until I was finally able to get through. Each time I called it said they were too busy with calls and I needed to call back at a different time. Finally after 9 days I managed to get through and ask for a call back. I got the call back 4 hours later. I told the customer service person my account was deactivated. She said it's a new security feature because they flag suspicious looking accounts. She said I needed to email a utility bill to a certain email address to prove my address.

I asked how long that would take. She said right now their customer service department that answers emails was dealing with any emails that came in June, so it would be a while until they reached the November emails to follow up. She said I could book my flight and then hold onto my boarding pass and confirmation and add my Aeroplan points later. So I got off the phone and looked for a utility bill. Unfortunately I live in the country, and my power bill has my legal land description on it, not my mailing address, and my internet bill is Starlink and has a latitude and longitude location on it, not my mailing address. Those are the only two utility bills I have because we have a well and propane.

All my bills come to my email address, they are not mailed to me anymore (not for many years now), so it doesn't matter that they don't use my mailing address anymore. So I can't send Aeroplan a utility bill with my mailing address on it. I could try to call them back and let them know, but I have a feeling it would take another 9 days to get through, and I also feel like the person on the other line would not have a solution for me. VERY FRUSTRATED and will not be using Aeroplan anymore and will not be saying nice things about it anywhere.

Price

Reviewed Oct. 20, 2023

Aeroplan offered promo that if you bought 100,000 points for $3955 (includes HST) they would double your points to 200,000. Sounds great, right? Wrong! Even with the 2 for 1 deal their points redemption is 33% more expensive than purchasing tickets for cash. Example: Flight to Fort Lauderdale quoted at $558, while points equivalent was $742 (32,000 points @ $633 purchase price + $109 cash) a 33% premium! Even the low season, low days or redeye flights Aeroplan recommended still cost 33% more via points than cash. The Aeroplan agent said I purchased them so might as well use them. YEAH, AT A $1,000 LOSS! HUGE LOSS IF YOU DIDN'T GET 2:1 DEAL!

Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed Oct. 10, 2023

Signed up for an Aeroplan credit card late July 2023. They promoted large bonuses for points for new accounts. My account was closed 2 weeks after I signed up. The account was closed suddenly and without reason. Phone support cannot answer any questions and are completely useless. While an account is frozen you gain absolutely 0 points. It's a ** scam and needs to be avoided at all costs.

Reviewed Sept. 27, 2023

Aeroplan is the absolute WORST rewards program. Every single time I have tried to redeem pts, they put a lock on my account. Despite having entered my password on their redemption site, entering an emailed code (2-step verification), they still claim Air Canada has put a hold on redemptions. NOTE: they do this when they offer a "deal" on reduced points needed for rewards. To clear the hold, they need 10 business days...so the redemption "deal" period is passed.

If you try to call Aeroplan customer service, they just put you through to Air Canada customer service. However, you can't get through to Air Canada because they have an automated response saying "they have a large number of calls at the moment" and then you are disconnected. I HATE Aeroplan and Air Canada and wish we can do something about this.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Sept. 27, 2023

Last June 2023, I needed to use Aeroplan points to book a flight Ottawa (YOW) to Geneva, Switzerland. The airfares were high at the time of booking so decided to use points. They charged about 400,000 points because it was already May at the time of booking - about a month and half before the trip. In addition, one cannot get a human to speak with in Customer Service or one must wait on hold for hours. Due to the points they are charging and due to costs, I will be going to Europe via Air France from now on.

Reviewed Sept. 16, 2023

After many tries trying to book a ticket with the Aeroplan points tried calling customer service. On hold for more than 2 hours. In the meantime definitely lost out on booking the flight ticket as they are not available now.

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed Aug. 20, 2023

Don't bother with this at all! It's a scam, and one of the worst rewarding loyalty programs I have ever experienced, worse than Airmiles, which is saying a lot because that program is pretty bad too! Become a member of another flight reward system and never bother with this scammy, dishonest, worthless Aeroplan "rewards"!

Reviewed July 16, 2023

4 Hour + wait time on phone. The shortest time I waited was 2 hours. They bounce you around other departments, which you then have to wait an additional 2-4 hours. If the line disconnects, No has the courtesy to call you back after the 4 hour wait. They are rude and condescending and then accidentally hang up the phone.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed June 7, 2023

Be very careful, this company lacks logic and customer service. I wanted to purchase a flight to Germany for $1,688CAD. When I saw there was an Aeroplan point purchase for 50% off the points I read into it, and for $1,000 you could get $2,000 worth of points - that gives you 60,000 points. I thought it was fantastic, because I'd save $688 for my flight.

NO definitely not. I went to go use my points to purchase my flight, and each way had a set amount of points for 60,000 points. It would cost me a total of 120,000 points. But I just spent $1,000 on points. So it said I would have to use my 60,000 points AND pay an additional $1,000.00. Meaning my overall flight actually costed $2,000 rather than $1688.

I of course tried to call Aeroplan, Air Canada, Message them, e-mail them - whatever I can do, but the scam continued. "Technical Difficulties", "Longer Delays than usual", Disconnections. I wasted way too much time. So what I did was I just purchased the flight for $1688, and now have 60,000 unused points hoping that maybe somebody will reach out to me. Overall I have spent $2,688 for a flight to Germany... what A SHAME. For economy class, no cancellations or anything.

Please do yourself a favour, collect the points for many years through your small rewards programs with aeroplan through groceries or drinks, but DO NOT fall for any further scam like I did. They will not reach out to you, they won't even answer your call. Save your money and move on. Just buy tickets like regular people do. Best of luck to anyone going down this dangerous money trap. I guess these companies need to scam people to make up for the money they lost during Covid, it's a real shame.

Reviewed May 9, 2023

I am completely unable to spend any points, which sort of makes the whole system useless. The helpline never assists me in any way and they keep bouncing me between various departments before disconnecting me without reason. You also cannot transfer your points out of Aeroplan so I'd avoid it at all costs.

Reviewed May 4, 2023

Aeroplan is a joke. I've been on hold with them now for FOUR hours! I came here to see if anyone else has had this experience and yes, it seems to be the norm with Aeroplan. I flew to Italy and back with Air Canada a while back and noticed I hadn't gotten my Aeroplan points. I spent an hour online trying to work on this to be told that I hadn't actually taken the trip! Now I'm on hold, four hours plus and waiting. Aeroplan is a piece of garbage as everyone seems to be saying.

Price

Reviewed April 5, 2023

We have flown two long haul flights without receiving all points from Aeroplan. Vancouver to Istanbul return and Vancouver to Auckland return. Aeroplan stated not all economy flights are eligible for points even though we paid full price for our tickets. Aeroplan by not rewarding travel points is a cheating passengers. I will not fly any Star Alliance airline in the future.

Reviewed Feb. 25, 2023

I’ve been trying to get hold of someone as it seems my card number is linked to someone else’s email now. (I’ve had my card with the same number for 20 years, and use it to collect points). I’m either put on hold for 2 hours then cut off, or told no one is available, try later. I don’t even get the option to have a callback. They need more staff and more lines.

Reviewed Jan. 24, 2023

I have been an Aeroplan customer for over 25 years. It used to have value, but the value of a point has diminished so much it is no longer worth even trying to collect them. One example, a family flight to Mexico and back, almost all my 350K points PLUS over $4300 cash....huh? I used to fly to Mexico for 25,000 points, 100,000 for the whole family, and all I paid was the tax. Now I am spending all my points, and paying additional cash that almost matches a full cash fare from a competitor. Time to move on. This program has lost ALL its value and I will be looking elsewhere to build and claim points.

Reviewed Dec. 20, 2022

Made an purchase thru estore shopping and never received points. Submitted a missing points request in six weeks after purchase and no response ever after. Tried to call and waited for two and a half hour and still not connected to an agent.

Reviewed Nov. 1, 2022

I have attempted with two different cards, over three months, and with 2 different web browsers and e-mails, to sign up for their plan, and I continue to get error messages saying "Oops, something went wrong". In trying to contact them for this issue, it does not come up as a possible option during their many menu options to choose from. PLUS, the online chat help states up front that you don't get to chat with a live person!! So, is it really chat? NO! Seems I will try to never fly Air Canada again, as this is their main plan for flyer miles, and if I can't collect, why use them?

Reviewed Aug. 28, 2022

The online system does not work thus you cannot redeem your points. They will not answer the phone. They ask for feedback but will never get back to you. I'm not kidding. Use another carrier and points card as these guys and gals just don't care.

Reviewed Aug. 24, 2022

Every time I call Aeroplan I’m on hold for well over an hour. They do not provide a callback option and they don’t give you a wait time estimate.

Reviewed June 30, 2022

On May 8th, 2022...I purchased 4 cards worth 500.00 each to purchase a gazebo and make a great Father's Day. BUT, it was ruined because the cards were mailed in 4 separate envelopes and one was somebody else's card worth 50.00...meaning the other person got a great deal of 450.00 more to spend! I phoned Aeroplan and they said I had to send pictures to prove it, which I did.

An investigation was done, which I had already waited four weeks to get the card. They finally said okay and will send another...It is July and I still don't have it! I phoned several times and asked that since they screwed it up, it should be mailed overnight...but no. So, the store said they couldn't hold the gazebo anymore and now it is next to impossible to find the one we want and the size...and still waiting for the card, which another was sent and they said it was sent express, which is 2 days and that was over a week now. I am exhausted and very disappointed in the service.

Reviewed June 17, 2022

I try to call Jun 16 th 2022 5pm Aeroplan call centre, it’s keep me 63 minutes hold still not answer. I think they closed. Is the worst call centre experience in my life. Any one want fun? Call them aeroplan call centre.

Reviewed March 29, 2022

I had bought Air Canada Ticket Vancouver to Mumbai and return back to Vancouver for about $2200, unfortunately, I had to cancel those ones. For cancelation, there was a penalty and charges of about $300 so I was entitled to get $1,900 whereas they were offering 132,509 Aeroplan points, so I bought those points. I am looking at the offers and even Air Canada Tickets for the last 4 months and what I see is that those 132,509 points hardly fetch 60% of the worth of what I invested. It would have been a wise decision if I would have taken a cash refund from Air Canada after paying the penalty etc. then also I would have been in a profit. NOT RECOMMENDABLE AT ALL.

Reviewed Jan. 7, 2022

I have been a member of Aeroplan for about 20 years but will definitely cease my relationship. Unable to change my return flight even if I bought my plane ticket with flexible date option. No one to answer the phone, the website direct you to Air Canada but Air Canada system are incompatible with Aeroplan's booking system.

Reviewed Oct. 19, 2021

I was a frequent flyer with Aeroplan before COVID. I used to encourage friends and family to use this product. With the changes to Aeroplan and now that COVID restrictions are easing, I am looking at international flights. I have flown locally and noticed the substantially higher points (about 300%) for booking and when I looked at international flights, using different destinations, it's a case where if I fly Business Class for 2 people, (YEG to Athens) for one of the destinations, it went up from 160,000 (sometimes less) points before to now over 500,000 points!! I have more than enough points accumulated but this is ridiculous/robbery!

I definitely will be looking at other rewards options to travel. South Pacific travel has gone up from 300,000 for 2 people for business class to over a million points needed... to give you a couple examples. Heart breaking, disappointing and ridiculous are the 3 words that I come up with after being a loyal customer for well over 20 years.

Reviewed Oct. 5, 2021

Over 100k points of mine expired because Aeroplan missed a transaction back in May 2020. I specifically purchased Banana Republic clothing to ensure my points did not expire and can prove that with invoices and bank statements yet Aeroplan says they refuse to look into it because it happened over a year ago. They forgot that it's been a pandemic the last year and people are not allowed to fly hence why I never checked my account, just assumed I received the points and had another 18 months buffer time. Wrong. The supervisor named Tara in MTL said it's likely an issue with Aeroplan's software but there's nothing that can be done now. After 20 years of being a loyal customer this is how they treat me. I'll be selling all my stock and won't give this company another $, I suggest everyone else does the same.

Reviewed Sept. 9, 2021

I have been collecting and redeeming points for many years and right now my balance is 523,000 pts. I thought we could use them for some great trips in retirement but now with Covid we are quite reluctant to hop on a plane and go traveling to foreign lands. So I thought maybe we could use some up redeeming for an Amazon e-gift card. Should be pretty simple right. Wrong!

The first time I tried, they said 24 to 72 hrs. to email the e-card. (Anybody else can do it almost instantly) so I waited for 4 days and nada. Sent in a complaint ticket and got a response in a day or two that they would investigate. Waited another day or two and emailed back again to find out where it was at. Was told that my account was flagged for suspicious fraudulent activity. They would expedite this investigation and get back to me shortly. I was also told I needed to update my password which I did. Two days later I followed up and was told the investigation normally takes 7 to 10 days. Finally after a couple of weeks I got the points back but no gift card. What's the point of a rewards card when your only reward is weeks of frustration and hassle!

PriceStaffProcess

Reviewed May 10, 2021

Aeroplan had a good program until the recent change. They said it was new and improved with a better system and more choices. A one way flight example would be Toronto to Calgary was 15000 points. Now the same flight is 35000. Even the rep said he’s had nothing but complaints and the plan is far worse. I do not recommend this reward plan. It is not worth it.

Reviewed April 18, 2021

I recently purchased a new Samsung Galaxy A21 mobile but I received a open box mobile. I raised a complaint and following-up for more than a month but no resolution yet. Aeroplan eStore customer support team is not responsive and they simply said it is Vendor's mistake. I provided all the screenshots and proof for the open box mobile and I lost $300 in estore store. I won't suggest Aeroplan estore in future as I had very bad experience.

Verified purchase

Reviewed Feb. 17, 2021

I have redeemed my Aeroplan point on 4th Dec 2021, until now the item was not delivered (17th Feb 2021). I called Aeroplan customer care to follow up weekly since 14th Jan 2021 and submitted my case online 4 times. Every time I called the same answer they gave me: they are still investigating, the vendor did not provide me with the status of my order. They can not refund my AEROPLAN point and they can not re-send my gift card either. They suggest that I will wait indefinitely for the answers. Spoken to 2 supervisors and said the same things.

This is the most frustrating experience that I have dealt with, NO COMPANY had no responsibility for the good and services that they provided for. They even told me it is company policy not to provide any definite answer. I will never use or collect AEROPLAN point anymore and will not support this company as they have no sense of responsibility. The worse thing is they are blaming their vendor who is unable to provide them with the answer and status of my item ordered.

Aeroplan Company Information