3.3/5 (424 ratings)

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Yokohama Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Yokohama?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Yokohama?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Updated on 09/23/2022: I gave my first review about Yokahama because they would not give me but 78% refund on my tires that were defective. After I wrote the review, I called them the next day and spoke to what I believe is a manager. She contacted Discount Tires where I purchased them, except at a different location in another state where I needed them replaced. Within about 10 minutes she called me back and said they would cover 80% over what I paid for the tire and Discount Tires was going to cover the other 20%. They took care of the situation Immediately but not until I had to contact ConsumerAffairs. I gave them 4 stars for taking care of the situation, but not 5 stars because for over a week I had to continue driving my car with tires falling apart and stressed to the max every time I got in my car to leave. Had they taken care of this the first time being contacted they would have gotten 5 stars.

Original: I bought 4 new tires five months ago from discount tire. They recommended Yokohama over the Michelin tires that I’m used to. 2 of the tires are defective and chunks of the rubber are coming off. Discount tire won’t replace them. They called Yokohama and they want me to pay over $200 to replace the 2 defective tires. I already paid over $1,000 with tax for the 4 tires. I should not have to pay anything. I don’t trust this brand and I want a full refund to get a different brand I trust. I have children in my car and if these tires blow out I or my children or all of us could be seriously injured or killed. Yokohama does not care. As I spoke to the manufacturer and they refuse to cover 100% replacement. I’d prefer not to have this brand at all on my car. I do not recommend to have this brand. This is a serious safety issue.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

Yokohama Avid Ascend GT tires are my favorites over many years of cars and tire purchases. After buying them for the AWD Subaru and experiencing winters with snow as well as the spring/fall rains of the Pacific Northwest, I bought them for my FWD Nissan Altima coupe. The 3.5L V6 expects sporty tires, these don't disappoint, as well as giving sure-footed driving in the rain. I find them mid-level in the noise range but never a problem and less noisy than my previous tires.

Get buying tips about Tires delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I have a 2019 Mazda CX9 with about 28k on 4 of these tires that came stock when I purchased the vehicle. They have to be the worst tires ever produced and are so badly worn, under normal driving conditions, that they now have to be fully replaced. Why does Mazda continue to sell their cars with these inferior tires?

Original review: May 25, 2021

I leased a new Mazda CX-5 last December 2020. In May my rear, driver side tire, blew out on the sidewall. I hit nothing. I bought the same tire as a replacement, and it developed a leak two weeks later, and Discount Tire replaced it for free. Then, the next day, the rear passenger side tire lost most of its air. I just think there is a real quality problem with this brand. One more problem, and they all get replaced.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

My tires wore out long before they should have. I called them and they would not speak to me and just told me to go where I bought them from. I did this, they took pics and recognized that the tread is worn and put the claim through. Yokohama just denied it, blaming it on maintenance without even asking for records of tire rotations etc. plus I put winters on for several months of the year so the tread wore out wayyyy before it should have. Do not waste your people.

Resolution response: Feb. 23, 2022

I was contacted by email by the CEO of the US division and instructed to email a copy of my receipt directly to him and he said he would send me a gift card for the rebate amount. I complied with his instructions and received the gift card shortly afterward. I am happy with the outcome but hope future customers are spared the problems I had to endure. I give the CEO 5 stars for his interest in personalizing my issues and seeing that they were resolved.

Original review: June 27, 2020

I've bought no less than 4 sets of this brand of tires and have had less than stellar performance from any of them. I had at least 3 broken steel belts from potholes and one sidewall blowout. I've experienced abnormal tread wear even though I got a wheel alignment check with each new set and they said all was fine. The straw that broke my back was when Yokohama refused to honor their rebate on the last set of tires I bought. They claimed that the dealer had not included the correct information on the receipt. The receipt described exactly what tires I bought even down to the DOT numbers. As far as I am concerned they are a scam and a ripoff and I'll never buy another tire from them.

Original review: May 4, 2020

The past three vehicles I have owned came with Yokohama tires from the factory. All of them have had at least 6 blowouts with those tires. When it happened in 2005, I was driving my 2002 Volkswagen Jetta, which had a set of Yokohama's from the previous owner. The rear right tire blew out at random on the highway. After that, I got a set of Pirelli's, and for 15 years after that, I never had any problems with the tires. My current vehicle, a 2016 Subaru Impreza, has Yokohama tires. All of the tires on it have been slowly leaking since the first week of owning the car. The car currently has just over 37,000 miles, and there isn't much tread left on any of the tires.

The most recent occurrence happened last Saturday. I was driving on the interstate, took my exit, and drove over a railroad crossing. That particular crossing is a very rough one, so I slowed down to 10 mph, and my front left tire blew out as I crossed the first rail. I checked the tire after pulling over, and there were no sharp objects or nails present. The tire came off of the rim, and the sidewall was completely destroyed. Luckily, I had my spare tire, but tomorrow morning I will be getting a set of Michelin tires, and I will NEVER buy Yokohama tires for as long as I live, as they are poorly made, dangerous, and they simply don't last as long as they should.

All of the other times this happened to me, it was a very similar situation, but the tires blew out completely out of the blue. I do not feel safe driving any vehicle these sorry excuses for a set of tires on it. Clearly, safety is not one of Yokohama's priorities. No wonder they're one of the cheapest tires on the market. I strongly advise anyone reading this to avoid Yokohama's at all costs. It's better to pay $1,000 once for a great set of tires than it would be to pay $700 every 3 years to replace a crappy set of tires.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

While driving on the highway, the tires sidewall entirely exploded. The tread was still in good condition. Road conditions were fine and the temperature was not an issue. I rotated the tire every 10,000 miles, as suggested by the manufacture. The tire was completely defective! I would never buy these tires again.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I bought a Mazda CX5 in August 2019, currently it has less 1,550 miles and one of the tires got damaged. I called to claim the guarantee and was redirected to Yokohama Tire Corporation representative, name is Edgar **. So far, horrible customer service; he does not respond to my calls or e-mails and when he does he does not provide definite answers. I have been dealing with him since October 2, 2019, today is 11/01/19 and still no resolution. I just called again and a female representative (name Perla) stated that since Mr. Edgar ** is not in the office, she could not provide answers. I requested to speak with a supervisor, but according to Miss Perla, supervisor was unavailable. Still waiting for him to call me back. Horrible, horrible customer service from Mr. Edgar **. Hope they call me back to solve situation.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I was denied the two years warranty, which comes by default along with the purchase of the tyre. This was because, I was given the stock of 2017 by the dealer in Pune and my purchase was of Oct 2018. The car was running within the city limits, and hardly the running was about 4000 kms from the date of purchase, when one of the tyre had a budge (sort of swelling). In my last 25 years of driving, I am facing such experience first time, and the response from the dealer and the Yokohama engineer of Pune was horrible. Will never recommend this tyre again.

Yokohama Company Information