1.79/5
Based on 121 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

187 Yokohama Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 19, 2018

The Geolander tires came with my '15 Subaru Forester. At about 4k miles, one developed a slow leak. It took the dealer 2 tries to find it (not a problem, as it was very small). The leak was a pinhole in the sidewall at mid radius. The dealer claimed it was from hitting a curb and tried to say there was a scuff mark on the sidewall. This was so they could claim road hazard and turn it in under a dealer policy. After a discussion with the manager, I determined the real reason was Yokohama will not honor warranties. They had turned in a set of 4 with Yokohama's approval and were not getting reimbursed for the tires. I called Yokohama America "customer service" and was told they would do nothing. I told them of the dealer’s problem and they said to have them call.

The actual tires now have about 63k miles on them. One has more wear on the edges than the other 3. They have run pretty well since the initial issue. Due to their not standing behind their product, I will NEVER own Yokohama tires again. They could have the best tire on the market (which I don't believe they do) and I still don't want them because they will not fix any simple issues. Had they simply replaced the tire, I likely would have rated this a 4. Yokohama tires will be a deal breaker when buying a new car if the dealer won’t change them.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I purchased a new Subaru, that came with Yokohama tires (2016). I now have 38,000 miles on the car. All Subarus have all wheel drive, and the tires have performed well under all conditions. Tires were rotated every 6,000 miles.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 27, 2018

Perhaps now is not the best time to say something because it was just a few hrs ago that my Yokohama tire delamination but I am not impressed. Sure the tire was several yrs old and may have had 40,000 or so km but the tread was good and air pressure was fine (around 35 psi). I was driving my HJ60 (older Toyota Land Cruiser) back from Orleans Ontario into Ottawa and was 5 minutes out of Orleans when I felt a shake (100 km/hr) - so started to slow down (75 km /hr) thinking I was going to get off at the next exit (Blair road) and have a look see. At which point the complete tire delamination and I had to use all my skill to hang on and get her out off of the 4 lane highway. Rather nerve racking. I have never had a tire completely delaminate. Before this I would have said Yokohama are good to great tires. Now I am not sure, Certainly then I have no recourse with the company due to age but still how dangerous are these tires.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I never imagined having to do this sort of thing, but Yokohama Tire did not treat me with respect or solved my problem, so I felt compelled to alert everyone. My Yokohama tire broke out for no apparent reason, since there was no object on the track (I checked after the event to make sure). The place where the tire burst and the way it was, all indicate that it was due to a tire manufacturing problem. In contact with Yokohama, she refused to look at the tire and simply told me that there was nothing they could do. In contact through Facebook, I found myself in the customer service, which ignores my messages, just as it is now through Facebook as well. I would like to alert everyone, NEVER buy this brand that has no respect for your customers! I've worked with tires and I know Pirelli would never treat its customers that way. That's how we see who truly respects your customers!

Original review: April 6, 2018

We purchased Yokohama tires for my spouse's Volvo last June through Discount Tires. Yokohama advertised a rebate and issued us a gift card within about 6 weeks of the purchase. The problem is the gift card expired 12/17. For each month over the expiration date, they charge a fee to the account. This was never disclosed in the advertisement. I have also been told that the card does not comply with state gift card consumer protection laws. So, because it does not comply, I am filed reports with the BBB of Santa Ana, the FTC, and the California attorney general.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Yokohama?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

The tires and roadside assist were actually acceptable. I did need to replace one tire and the knockdown for "depreciation" was only $15 to get a new tire. The problem is the $50 rebate card which arrived 30 days into the cycle and then was rejected by every vendor everywhere. So it sat in the bottom of my purse. Clearly printed funds never expire but fees apply. Those fees are $3 a month until the card is gone. That is unacceptable. Customer service put me on hold or returned me to the never ending automated system for suggestions about how to use the card. I just want my cash.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I purchased Yokohama Avid Ascend tires for my 2013 Acura RDX about 2 years ago and they have been amazing tires. Have driven up to 120 mph and put over 20K miles on these tires with no problems at all. They still have at least 10K miles left on them and that's pretty amazing since I am frequently doing burnouts and driving very fast from time to time. These tires are so good that I will be purchasing the exact same tire when these wear out. These tires are somewhat eco friendly as well since they use a new technology that incorporates Orange oil.

I worked for a tire distributor that moves over $200 million in tires annually and learned that all brands have problems at some point. They are mass manufacturing a product that can be sensitive to a lot of variables that aren't always easy to control such as weather, chemical sources, mold issues (molds that the tire material is poured into). Yokohama is an awesome brand that stands by their tires in my experience.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I bought a set of Yoko tires, acknowledging I'd receive a $60 rebate in the form of a VISA credit card. After TWO attempts to mail me the card it still hasn't shown up. Yoko wants to charge me $10 for a change of address and cannot even promise me they did send the card in the first place or if I would EVER receive it...not THEIR fault, apparently. Can't say I'd recommend this program because you cannot verify if you'd EVER receive their rebate. SCAM!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

When I purchased my Toyota Prius which is a 2016 these tires came with it. Tonight traveling 70 miles an hour which is our speed limit I was slowing down at the 60 mph zone when my rear right tire blew out! My car only has 15,000 miles on it. My car only has 15,000 miles on it! Now I am terrified to drive my car with these POS tires! DO NOT BUY!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Bought a new 2016 CX-5 that came with Yokohama tires. At 10000 miles the tires began to wear prematurely, tire dealer had no explanation other than inflation problems. I check these tires weekly and have had to add air consistently. On a recent trip to WY and MT the right rear tire blew out. Sidewall failure according to the tire shop. Left them all on the floor of the tire shop. Put new tires on it completely. Never own Yokohama tires again.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

We purchased a new Mazda CX5 in 2016 which came with Yokohama Geolander tires. While the tires seemed fine initially, at about 16,000 miles, we began to notice the ride wasn't so smooth and we began to notice some road noise, but since it was a gradual increase, we thought maybe it was our imaginations. But it wasn't. We just took it to dealer at 18,000 miles and they confirmed that there is significant tire tread wear and some cupping on the inside, which explains the rougher ride and the noise. Service manager did make calls to tire company and to Mazda for us, but to no avail, and suggested we call Mazda as well.

We have purchased new vehicles in the past and have never had this problem. While I realize the stock tires on new cars may not be top of the line, they should be at least durable enough to make it through the car's warranty period. We should not have to be replacing, or approaching replacement, at only 18,000 miles. Will never consider these tires in the future, and will never give them a good review. The experience also reflects poorly on Mazda as a whole.

Original review: April 5, 2017

On September 12, 2016, I went to America's Tire in Palm Desert, CA to purchase 4 Michelin tires. They were out of Michelin tires at that time, but recommended Yokohama tires. I purchased 4 new Yokohama tires YK740 GTX installed on my 2004 Lexus LS430 driven only 62,692 miles. On April 3, 2017, while traveling in California in the 3rd lane on Interstate 10, a 5 lane highway at the posted speed of 70 mph and nearing my destination after a two-hour drive, I experienced a sudden blowout of the left rear tire. The vehicle went out of control, fishtailing from side to side until I was lucky enough to get it under control and onto the right shoulder of the road riding on the rim. It was daylight, clear visibility, no vehicle in front of me and no debris on the road that could have caused the sudden, explosive deflation of the tire. There was nothing left of the tire but two strips of rubber wound around the wheel.

Mileage on the car was 64, 533 miles. I drove less than 2,000 miles on the tires. The other three tires were correctly inflated and remained in perfect condition. I was allowed a $30.00 credit for each of the 3 good tires and the full warranty value of $137.70 for the destroyed tire against the purchase of 4 new Pirelli tires. Oddly, they were also out of stock on Michelin tires on April 3rd.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I have High Performance Summer tires and they are good tire for the price. The only drawback is that they are great on dry surfaces but in wet conditions they don't have good traction and braking is poor.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

Performance of the tire is so thread. Its life is short but its excellent high and low speed handling and superior grip cannot be beat. It has a great price to product value and I've used it for 22k miles.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I have a 2009 Toyota Camry that I purchased used just over a year ago. The tires on it were Goodyear. The tread was less than half gone. The problem was terrible road noise but I have to admit I am very sensitive to noise. The Yokohama Ascend that I put on did the trick. The car is very quiet now. The ride was also improved. There is less vibration coming through the steering. These tires were advertised as low noise and good tread wear. Price was good, attractive tread pattern, great ride, low noise. Much quieter than the Goodyears on it previously. They are very smooth on the road.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Yokohama is better than Michelin. It actually handles the job! It has Value, good construction and is sturdy and durable.I've used it for 15000+ miles. Yokohama tires are the best, by far, for SUV use. They are long-lasting and worry-free.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

Came with the van and had 30,000 miles, then matched them when I bought two. Good grip in the rain. One was losing air at 24,00 miles so I replaced two and it was easy to replace at my regular Chrysler dealer.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

Yokohama has a great reputation for Quality. YK580 has very nice appearance. Tread Wear has been great. Quiet, smooth ride, cornering great, and wet traction well above average. I had Goodyear OE tires on a truck and they didn't even last 20,000 miles. I replaced them with Yokohama HT-S and the ride was much better and the treadwear was 3X better. These tires lasted for over 50,000 miles.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I have a set of Geolandar AT G015's. I purchased these tires because of the Quality and Reputation of Yokohama. I wanted a High Quality tire with an excellent look... And this is what I got. The tread design and sidewall design are amazing. The performance of these tires is unexplainable. They grip, ride smooth, ride silent and steer very very well. If you have never owned a set of Yokohama Tires or you think that all tires are equal, I challenge you to purchase a set of Yokohama Tires. You will literally feel your car wake up...

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

I have P235 75 15 tires with 5000 mileage for my classic car. Started smooth then became bumpy. Blowout. Ripped my car's skirt and the entire tread came off the rest of tires. I am now replacing all 5.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

Wears great and even - seems to last longer than originally told. Match for match of original tires on vehicle bought when new. Runs true - no probs. Once only - ran over an exploded radial tire piece in the dark - Discount Tire replaced it at no charge.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

A friend ordered my Yokohama Tires. I thought they knew what they were getting me although I paid for them myself. However, I don't care for them in the winter. The traction sucks and they were brand new. They suck period for long traveling. I don't think they are as good as Blizzaks. They don't grip the road as good as you get stuck some in the winter while waiting on hill too easy. I would never have that problem with Blizzaks...

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

Recommended by my mechanic. Have had 4 tire sets total and got excellent tread life (70K) from all. They are mid price with excellent life and no recalls.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

Only recently started using Yokohama last winter. I found their tires to be exceptional in snow and "Quiet" which really impressed me. Usually winter tires tend to be very noisy on the highway. My new Summer Yokos are quiet as well and do not seem to "squeal" as much under hard cornering. Great Price. Good Tire. Good Handling. I think I have already answered this above. Tires are long, wearing and easy on the ears and pocket book.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

They have great tread. Bought my car brand new 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander in April and they don't even look like the tread has gone down and we hit bumps they don't feel like they are going to explode. You don't feel the bumps like some other tires and the tread is awesome. Love them better than my brand new tires on my Honda Accord.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

Bought 4 brand new Yokohama tires. I got 14 miles from the dealership and the right rear tire sidewall blew out leaving a 15 to 20 inch split. Terrifying. Had to have the car towed back to dealership. Now they are saying since tires are now used, they can only issue a used tire credit to take them all off and put on 4 new Michelin tires. SO, I pay 700 for Yokohamas, and won't get the 700 back after only 14 miles on the tires before the blowout. I notified the Better Business Bureau in Des Moines Iowa and they advised I file a complaint against Clemons in Ottumwa, IA where I bought the tires. I am furious.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

G056 LTR - Smooth, Comfortable, Quiet Ride with good Rolling Resistance. Better Gas Mileage versus previous set of tires. Like the Sidewall Appearance and the Tread Pattern Design. Wet traction is also good. Tires are mounted both my 2003 Toyota Tundra and my 2012 Toyota 4-Runner. Both vehicles are riding more comfortable than ever before.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S - Long-lasting, good looks. Work well off-road and in snow. Quite smooth ride on a A/T (aggressive) tread. I drive a Ford F-150 and even after 50,000 miles I still had plenty of tread left. You can't even get that type of mileage out of most small low weight vehicles!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2016

About two months ago (Sept 2016), I fitted 4 brand new Yokohama Geolanders All Terrain tyres to my Land Cruiser. A few weeks later got a puncture in the sidewall in a dry river bed... By a twig!!! Yes a twig, tried a trail repair but the sidewall was so soft it did not hold the insert. There were others with me, none on Yokohama, but a variety of other brands, they covered the same ground and had no problems.

I contacted Yokohama, and was first told it was 'bad luck'. WTF??? I told the rep I was not happy about that comment and it should not happen to an A/T listed tyre. I eventually got the tyre repaired by a local tyre shop and am using it on road. So he was going to call me back to arrange a tyre shop to take the tyre off and check it out... Never heard any more!:x He has my mobile number and my email address. No excuses! So, I have a serious reservations about a tyre being called ALL TERRAIN. It should say SOME TERRAIN AS LONG AS THERE ARE NO TWIGS! And any company whether tyre related or not who does not respond to a customer complaint is not worth a light IMO!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

Our daughter totaled her Chevy Impala (recommend this car for protection in an accident) 7 months ago, but thanks to God she wasn't scratched in the accident. We needed to purchase another late model Chevy Impala soon as her dad was going to need his truck for work and she would need her own car. Went to Rick Henrick Chevrolet in Duluth, Ga. Sales were nice and love the car, but they put a new set of tires on the Impala I've never heard of - Yokohama. It came time to rotate and change the oil in her car, and the dealer (I will not name) said the inner part of the tires were wearing very quickly and needed to replace very soon (actually showed me where the tires were wearing). Needless to say, very disappointed in the tires (I wished now I had asked them to put Goodyear tires on her car). I definitely would not recommend these tires (dangerous for high school or college students driving more than 15 miles to school).

Yokohama Company Information