Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

195 Yokohama Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I bought a 2017 Honda Fit new in October 2017. The tires on the car were Yokohamas. In the year and a half I have had it there occurred 3 sidewall damages and one just flat tire and the latest damage was a blowout while traveling 55 miles an hour on a highway! The airbags deployed and I was not injured but it could have been a lot worse. There was over $9000 damage to my car! I have never had that much difficulty with tires in all the years I have been driving and the last incident put my life in danger. Perhaps these were the cheapest of the manufacturer's line but I have been driving for over 50 years and have only had an occasional flat tire. Needless to say since I had to replace the tires I did NOT replace them with Yokohamas.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

After sending in the rebate, a copy of the bill of sale and charge receipt all I heard from them was: 1. Have your rebate on record 10/23/18. 2. About a month later: Your sale being verified/under review 11/27/18. 3. Then after the program ended (which was 12/31/18) on 1/21/19 I checked again it was turned down because my name and address wasn't written on the receipt from the tire shop. After calling and going up the food chain they gave the excuse they could do nothing because the time was passed on the rebate. I would not recommend Yokohama to any of my family and friends because of this process and hopefully others will be wary of the rebate they run.

Get expert buying tips about Tires delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

We purchased 4 tires (75k tires) 2 years ago and have 18000 miles on them. They started making a loud noise when driven faster than 35 mph with the sound getting louder as the speed increases. We had the tires, breaks, struts, balance and alignment checked. Everything is ok. When we contacted Yokohama we were told that they don't recognize the loud humming sound as a problem. The representative was very short and curt indicating that they really don't give a **.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I bought 4 Yokohama tires for my Lexus IS300, I noticed that 1 of the tires had cracks in 4 different areas along the lines (design) of the tire's sidewall. Called Yokohama customer service and told me that this is not covered under warranty due to different weather exposure. I had other brands before and never had this issue. Very disappointed and will never buy Yokohama tires anymore and wouldn't recommend them either.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I have been a rather good supporter & even promoter of Yokohama tires & the company in general, in the past - till my recent experience turned me to change my opinion. I had purchased 4 of their tires 2 years back. In less than 10k km of running, one of the tires developed a bulge. What surprised me was the total lack of response to multiple emails sent to their customer service team. Don’t think such an attitude will win them more customers; maybe they’ve just become too big to care. Overall, rather sad.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Yokohama?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

These Yokohama tires came with my Mazda CX-5 Sport and at only 30K my front tires are bald. I will be contacting Yokohama but with all the bad reviews of them not honoring warranty what else can be done? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! After contacting Yokohama I was also told they do not warranty "early wear and tear" on a product that was on a vehicle that I purchased in 2016. WHAT!!?? I DO NOT TRAVEL and I only have 30K miles on them and the front tires are bald! DO NOT PURCHASE YOKOHAMA!!! I will be making a complaint to the Better Business Bureau!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

These tires came standard with my 2016 Mazda 3. With less than 23K miles, the treads are low to the point of being dangerous. I contacted Yokohama and their warranty covers only weather-related cracking and does not cover treadwear. I will not be purchasing another set of Yokohamas as a tire should last significantly longer than 23K. Unfortunately the company does not agree with me.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Let me start out by saying I have been a LIFELONG fan of Yokohama and have had dozens of sets of their tires over the years. I would still be a fan if my son had not been put in a life-threatening situation at highway speeds when one of Yokohama’s tires completely delaminated almost causing a major crash before he could get the vehicle safely stopped. The tire never lost pressure. The tread JUST PEELED OFF tearing the right rear side of the car up also.

The tires in question (Yokohama Avid Ascends) were purchased at Discount Tire and had a 75,000-mile warranty, and still well within the 5-year date too. These tires had just under 25,000 miles on them. 1/3 of the Warranty Yokohama gives them. Reading all of these complaints it really appears they DO NOT honor warranties. Ever.

I had the pleasure of dealing with Ann **, Administrator, Product Liability. She seemed like she genuinely wanted to make things right and proceeded to have me send pictures and answer pages of questions and send a packet to her so their “independent inspectors” could get to the bottom of what happened. Six weeks later I get an email telling me the tire was worn out and had been run with the pressure too low, for too long. They also stated that the tread depth was 1.5/32 (worn out). I wonder just how they determined this since they HAD NO TREAD TO MEASURE as it ripped completely off tearing the car up on its way out. I, however, did have a piece of tread. A piece of tread I found hung in the wheel well a few days after I sent the info to the “inspectors”.

These kinds of “professionals” really anger me. I have a compressor, electric tire pump, and many different gauges. There are 4 vehicles in my driveway right now and not one of them has low tire pressure. NOT ONE. After I received the verdict, clearly in Yokohama’s favor, I decided to let Ann know about the actual piece of tread I had in my possession. This prompted a prepaid envelope in which they would like the sample of the tread that I have. My original thought was to cut the sample in half and send it to them so I would still have proof the tread was clearly in DOT specs for safety. Then I realized they were just having me jump through hoops and the only conclusion they would come to would be the one where they, Yokohama, tells its customers “We don’t care about you and we don’t honor warranties”.

In case you haven't noticed, I AM TAKING THIS VERY PERSONAL. They could have killed my child. They didn’t and I was lucky and I’m very thankful. I’ve learned a lesson and I hope I can help someone avoid a tragedy. I am now in the process of removing the remaining Yokohama tires from my cars and they will never get another dime from me. If you love your family, DO NOT BUY YOKOHAMA TIRES. If you are buying a new car that has YOKOHAMA tires, demand that they change them before you will deal. I know I will.

Original review: July 19, 2018

The Geolander tires came with my '15 Subaru Forester. At about 4k miles, one developed a slow leak. It took the dealer 2 tries to find it (not a problem, as it was very small). The leak was a pinhole in the sidewall at mid radius. The dealer claimed it was from hitting a curb and tried to say there was a scuff mark on the sidewall. This was so they could claim road hazard and turn it in under a dealer policy. After a discussion with the manager, I determined the real reason was Yokohama will not honor warranties. They had turned in a set of 4 with Yokohama's approval and were not getting reimbursed for the tires. I called Yokohama America "customer service" and was told they would do nothing. I told them of the dealer’s problem and they said to have them call.

The actual tires now have about 63k miles on them. One has more wear on the edges than the other 3. They have run pretty well since the initial issue. Due to their not standing behind their product, I will NEVER own Yokohama tires again. They could have the best tire on the market (which I don't believe they do) and I still don't want them because they will not fix any simple issues. Had they simply replaced the tire, I likely would have rated this a 4. Yokohama tires will be a deal breaker when buying a new car if the dealer won’t change them.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I purchased a new Subaru, that came with Yokohama tires (2016). I now have 38,000 miles on the car. All Subarus have all wheel drive, and the tires have performed well under all conditions. Tires were rotated every 6,000 miles.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Perhaps now is not the best time to say something because it was just a few hrs ago that my Yokohama tire delamination but I am not impressed. Sure the tire was several yrs old and may have had 40,000 or so km but the tread was good and air pressure was fine (around 35 psi). I was driving my HJ60 (older Toyota Land Cruiser) back from Orleans Ontario into Ottawa and was 5 minutes out of Orleans when I felt a shake (100 km/hr) - so started to slow down (75 km /hr) thinking I was going to get off at the next exit (Blair road) and have a look see. At which point the complete tire delamination and I had to use all my skill to hang on and get her out off of the 4 lane highway. Rather nerve racking. I have never had a tire completely delaminate. Before this I would have said Yokohama are good to great tires. Now I am not sure, Certainly then I have no recourse with the company due to age but still how dangerous are these tires.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I never imagined having to do this sort of thing, but Yokohama Tire did not treat me with respect or solved my problem, so I felt compelled to alert everyone. My Yokohama tire broke out for no apparent reason, since there was no object on the track (I checked after the event to make sure). The place where the tire burst and the way it was, all indicate that it was due to a tire manufacturing problem. In contact with Yokohama, she refused to look at the tire and simply told me that there was nothing they could do. In contact through Facebook, I found myself in the customer service, which ignores my messages, just as it is now through Facebook as well. I would like to alert everyone, NEVER buy this brand that has no respect for your customers! I've worked with tires and I know Pirelli would never treat its customers that way. That's how we see who truly respects your customers!

Original review: April 6, 2018

We purchased Yokohama tires for my spouse's Volvo last June through Discount Tires. Yokohama advertised a rebate and issued us a gift card within about 6 weeks of the purchase. The problem is the gift card expired 12/17. For each month over the expiration date, they charge a fee to the account. This was never disclosed in the advertisement. I have also been told that the card does not comply with state gift card consumer protection laws. So, because it does not comply, I am filed reports with the BBB of Santa Ana, the FTC, and the California attorney general.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

The tires and roadside assist were actually acceptable. I did need to replace one tire and the knockdown for "depreciation" was only $15 to get a new tire. The problem is the $50 rebate card which arrived 30 days into the cycle and then was rejected by every vendor everywhere. So it sat in the bottom of my purse. Clearly printed funds never expire but fees apply. Those fees are $3 a month until the card is gone. That is unacceptable. Customer service put me on hold or returned me to the never ending automated system for suggestions about how to use the card. I just want my cash.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I purchased Yokohama Avid Ascend tires for my 2013 Acura RDX about 2 years ago and they have been amazing tires. Have driven up to 120 mph and put over 20K miles on these tires with no problems at all. They still have at least 10K miles left on them and that's pretty amazing since I am frequently doing burnouts and driving very fast from time to time. These tires are so good that I will be purchasing the exact same tire when these wear out. These tires are somewhat eco friendly as well since they use a new technology that incorporates Orange oil.

I worked for a tire distributor that moves over $200 million in tires annually and learned that all brands have problems at some point. They are mass manufacturing a product that can be sensitive to a lot of variables that aren't always easy to control such as weather, chemical sources, mold issues (molds that the tire material is poured into). Yokohama is an awesome brand that stands by their tires in my experience.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I bought a set of Yoko tires, acknowledging I'd receive a $60 rebate in the form of a VISA credit card. After TWO attempts to mail me the card it still hasn't shown up. Yoko wants to charge me $10 for a change of address and cannot even promise me they did send the card in the first place or if I would EVER receive it...not THEIR fault, apparently. Can't say I'd recommend this program because you cannot verify if you'd EVER receive their rebate. SCAM!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

When I purchased my Toyota Prius which is a 2016 these tires came with it. Tonight traveling 70 miles an hour which is our speed limit I was slowing down at the 60 mph zone when my rear right tire blew out! My car only has 15,000 miles on it. My car only has 15,000 miles on it! Now I am terrified to drive my car with these POS tires! DO NOT BUY!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Bought a new 2016 CX-5 that came with Yokohama tires. At 10000 miles the tires began to wear prematurely, tire dealer had no explanation other than inflation problems. I check these tires weekly and have had to add air consistently. On a recent trip to WY and MT the right rear tire blew out. Sidewall failure according to the tire shop. Left them all on the floor of the tire shop. Put new tires on it completely. Never own Yokohama tires again.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

We purchased a new Mazda CX5 in 2016 which came with Yokohama Geolander tires. While the tires seemed fine initially, at about 16,000 miles, we began to notice the ride wasn't so smooth and we began to notice some road noise, but since it was a gradual increase, we thought maybe it was our imaginations. But it wasn't. We just took it to dealer at 18,000 miles and they confirmed that there is significant tire tread wear and some cupping on the inside, which explains the rougher ride and the noise. Service manager did make calls to tire company and to Mazda for us, but to no avail, and suggested we call Mazda as well.

We have purchased new vehicles in the past and have never had this problem. While I realize the stock tires on new cars may not be top of the line, they should be at least durable enough to make it through the car's warranty period. We should not have to be replacing, or approaching replacement, at only 18,000 miles. Will never consider these tires in the future, and will never give them a good review. The experience also reflects poorly on Mazda as a whole.

Original review: April 5, 2017

On September 12, 2016, I went to America's Tire in Palm Desert, CA to purchase 4 Michelin tires. They were out of Michelin tires at that time, but recommended Yokohama tires. I purchased 4 new Yokohama tires YK740 GTX installed on my 2004 Lexus LS430 driven only 62,692 miles. On April 3, 2017, while traveling in California in the 3rd lane on Interstate 10, a 5 lane highway at the posted speed of 70 mph and nearing my destination after a two-hour drive, I experienced a sudden blowout of the left rear tire. The vehicle went out of control, fishtailing from side to side until I was lucky enough to get it under control and onto the right shoulder of the road riding on the rim. It was daylight, clear visibility, no vehicle in front of me and no debris on the road that could have caused the sudden, explosive deflation of the tire. There was nothing left of the tire but two strips of rubber wound around the wheel.

Mileage on the car was 64, 533 miles. I drove less than 2,000 miles on the tires. The other three tires were correctly inflated and remained in perfect condition. I was allowed a $30.00 credit for each of the 3 good tires and the full warranty value of $137.70 for the destroyed tire against the purchase of 4 new Pirelli tires. Oddly, they were also out of stock on Michelin tires on April 3rd.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I have High Performance Summer tires and they are good tire for the price. The only drawback is that they are great on dry surfaces but in wet conditions they don't have good traction and braking is poor.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

Performance of the tire is so thread. Its life is short but its excellent high and low speed handling and superior grip cannot be beat. It has a great price to product value and I've used it for 22k miles.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I have a 2009 Toyota Camry that I purchased used just over a year ago. The tires on it were Goodyear. The tread was less than half gone. The problem was terrible road noise but I have to admit I am very sensitive to noise. The Yokohama Ascend that I put on did the trick. The car is very quiet now. The ride was also improved. There is less vibration coming through the steering. These tires were advertised as low noise and good tread wear. Price was good, attractive tread pattern, great ride, low noise. Much quieter than the Goodyears on it previously. They are very smooth on the road.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Yokohama is better than Michelin. It actually handles the job! It has Value, good construction and is sturdy and durable.I've used it for 15000+ miles. Yokohama tires are the best, by far, for SUV use. They are long-lasting and worry-free.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

Came with the van and had 30,000 miles, then matched them when I bought two. Good grip in the rain. One was losing air at 24,00 miles so I replaced two and it was easy to replace at my regular Chrysler dealer.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

Yokohama has a great reputation for Quality. YK580 has very nice appearance. Tread Wear has been great. Quiet, smooth ride, cornering great, and wet traction well above average. I had Goodyear OE tires on a truck and they didn't even last 20,000 miles. I replaced them with Yokohama HT-S and the ride was much better and the treadwear was 3X better. These tires lasted for over 50,000 miles.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I have a set of Geolandar AT G015's. I purchased these tires because of the Quality and Reputation of Yokohama. I wanted a High Quality tire with an excellent look... And this is what I got. The tread design and sidewall design are amazing. The performance of these tires is unexplainable. They grip, ride smooth, ride silent and steer very very well. If you have never owned a set of Yokohama Tires or you think that all tires are equal, I challenge you to purchase a set of Yokohama Tires. You will literally feel your car wake up...

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

I have P235 75 15 tires with 5000 mileage for my classic car. Started smooth then became bumpy. Blowout. Ripped my car's skirt and the entire tread came off the rest of tires. I am now replacing all 5.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

Wears great and even - seems to last longer than originally told. Match for match of original tires on vehicle bought when new. Runs true - no probs. Once only - ran over an exploded radial tire piece in the dark - Discount Tire replaced it at no charge.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

A friend ordered my Yokohama Tires. I thought they knew what they were getting me although I paid for them myself. However, I don't care for them in the winter. The traction sucks and they were brand new. They suck period for long traveling. I don't think they are as good as Blizzaks. They don't grip the road as good as you get stuck some in the winter while waiting on hill too easy. I would never have that problem with Blizzaks...

Yokohama Company Information