2. Automotive

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Yokohama Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Yokohama?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Yokohama?

Original review: June 27, 2020

I've bought no less than 4 sets of this brand of tires and have had less than stellar performance from any of them. I had at least 3 broken steel belts from potholes and one sidewall blowout. I've experienced abnormal tread wear even though I got a wheel alignment check with each new set and they said all was fine. The straw that broke my back was when Yokohama refused to honor their rebate on the last set of tires I bought. They claimed that the dealer had not included the correct information on the receipt. The receipt described exactly what tires I bought even down to the DOT numbers. As far as I am concerned they are a scam and a ripoff and I'll never buy another tire from them.

Original review: May 4, 2020

The past three vehicles I have owned came with Yokohama tires from the factory. All of them have had at least 6 blowouts with those tires. When it happened in 2005, I was driving my 2002 Volkswagen Jetta, which had a set of Yokohama's from the previous owner. The rear right tire blew out at random on the highway. After that, I got a set of Pirelli's, and for 15 years after that, I never had any problems with the tires. My current vehicle, a 2016 Subaru Impreza, has Yokohama tires. All of the tires on it have been slowly leaking since the first week of owning the car. The car currently has just over 37,000 miles, and there isn't much tread left on any of the tires.

The most recent occurrence happened last Saturday. I was driving on the interstate, took my exit, and drove over a railroad crossing. That particular crossing is a very rough one, so I slowed down to 10 mph, and my front left tire blew out as I crossed the first rail. I checked the tire after pulling over, and there were no sharp objects or nails present. The tire came off of the rim, and the sidewall was completely destroyed. Luckily, I had my spare tire, but tomorrow morning I will be getting a set of Michelin tires, and I will NEVER buy Yokohama tires for as long as I live, as they are poorly made, dangerous, and they simply don't last as long as they should.

All of the other times this happened to me, it was a very similar situation, but the tires blew out completely out of the blue. I do not feel safe driving any vehicle these sorry excuses for a set of tires on it. Clearly, safety is not one of Yokohama's priorities. No wonder they're one of the cheapest tires on the market. I strongly advise anyone reading this to avoid Yokohama's at all costs. It's better to pay $1,000 once for a great set of tires than it would be to pay $700 every 3 years to replace a crappy set of tires.

Get buying tips about Tires delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

While driving on the highway, the tires sidewall entirely exploded. The tread was still in good condition. Road conditions were fine and the temperature was not an issue. I rotated the tire every 10,000 miles, as suggested by the manufacture. The tire was completely defective! I would never buy these tires again.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I bought a Mazda CX5 in August 2019, currently it has less 1,550 miles and one of the tires got damaged. I called to claim the guarantee and was redirected to Yokohama Tire Corporation representative, name is Edgar **. So far, horrible customer service; he does not respond to my calls or e-mails and when he does he does not provide definite answers. I have been dealing with him since October 2, 2019, today is 11/01/19 and still no resolution. I just called again and a female representative (name Perla) stated that since Mr. Edgar ** is not in the office, she could not provide answers. I requested to speak with a supervisor, but according to Miss Perla, supervisor was unavailable. Still waiting for him to call me back. Horrible, horrible customer service from Mr. Edgar **. Hope they call me back to solve situation.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I was denied the two years warranty, which comes by default along with the purchase of the tyre. This was because, I was given the stock of 2017 by the dealer in Pune and my purchase was of Oct 2018. The car was running within the city limits, and hardly the running was about 4000 kms from the date of purchase, when one of the tyre had a budge (sort of swelling). In my last 25 years of driving, I am facing such experience first time, and the response from the dealer and the Yokohama engineer of Pune was horrible. Will never recommend this tyre again.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

This is the second time I bought a new car which came with Yokohama tires. Both vehicles provided a 'hard' ride and very poor traction in the rain and in the snow. The first set I rode through one winter and got rid of them. The second vehicle I got rid of the Yokohama tires after only 3000 miles. I do believe that any tire other than Yokohama will provide better traction under all conditions. I would advise anyone who is considering the purchase of Yokohama tires to think twice about it. I'm sure you will have regrets after the fact.

Original review: July 21, 2019

I had purchased four Yokohama car tyres in November 2016 and within 25000 km one of the tyres developed a bulge which is clearly a manufacturing defect. But Yokohama tyre company outlet rejected the warranty replacement claim stating that the bulge is due to a very superficial cut inside the tyre. This is unpalatable. I have a bad experience and would recommend nobody to buy these tyres ever.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Tomorrow I replace the Yokohama YK740 GTX tires on my 2011 Camry SE. I bought them 8 months ago. They had really good traction at the beginning and even now they don’t slip too much, but the noise these tires make... They are relatively quiet from 0-40 and then they start to roar and get louder leading up to highway speeds. Driving around a traffic circle or curved exit ramp, they really get loud and make a helicopter “whomping” sound with each tire revolution. Some people have made comments about how loud they are, including a friend who owned a Goodyear store for many years. I’m disappointed to take them off so soon, but the noise is annoying that I will do it and spend the money on another brand.

My tire history: Car came with Toyo tires, they were okay. I got Pirelli Cinturato P7s which were awesome for their short life. Then Michelin Primacy, best (most expensive) tires I’ve ever had. Goodyear Assurance, soft and quiet but poor wet and dry traction. Then the Yokohama, with full range of sound effects. So I’ve had a lot of brand name tires and none of them have had this noise issue.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Yokohama touring tires 2 years ago, presently have 25,000 miles on them and they flunked inspection due to thin cracking in between the treads on all 4 tires. Went back to place of purchase and was told I could get a discount on a new set. Called Yokohama and they refused to deal with me and had me call the seller again. They suggested I try getting it inspected at another facility. I will NEVER do business with either company again! They don't stand behind their products.

Original review: May 25, 2019

These tires are not safe. At over 55 mph my van began a little shake. "Ok maybe I need an alignment." 2 mile down the road my tire exploded. The tread actually came off the tire. I used to work at a "big name" tire place replacing tires and I have never seen anything like this. Tomorrow I will be replacing not only the exploded tire but the other 3 as well. I have no faith that these tires can get my family home safe.

Yokohama Company Information