Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

120 Tire Rack Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I purchased four Goodyear Duratrac tires on mounted on new rims for a 2011 Ram truck. In barely more than 2 years they developed cracks on the sides of the tires. One tire went flat while driving leaving me stranded. Initially, Tire Rack was very helpful in advising me to take pictures of the weather cracking. I removed the tire, had it inspected by several dealers, and took numerous pictures of the weather cracking of the sidewall near the tread where the tire failed.

After submitting the evidence the customer affairs representative informed me her team was sure it was due to an object in the road. Clearly, the tiny cracks along the sidewall were not caused by an external object. I am now being forced to litigate to recover my loss. A local attorney researching the matter informed me Goodyear changed their chemical mix a few years ago thus causing numerous early aging problems in high-altitude locations. Tire Rack is likely aware of the problem but instead relying on deception and bullying of customers to avoid liability.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

On October 31, 2018 I ordered (TR #**) a Bridgestone Tire and wheel package to be delivered to TR's recommended installer VIP Tire & Service in Windham ME. On Nov. 8th VIP installed the premounted wheels and tires. On leaving VIP there was a grinding noise coming from the left front tire. Returning to VIP they determined that one of the wheels was out of round and rubbing against the caliper. On calling TR they said they would have a replacement wheel delivered in 4 days. I couldn't go without the car for 4 days and I didn't want to remount my summer tires as I was going to VT that weekend where they had a foot of snow. I told TR I was going to take their snow tires off the wheels and remount them on my OEM wheels.

TR agreed and said they would send the paperwork to VIP to return the wheels and tire pressure sensors. VIP was excellent, they took the wheels off the car, removed the tires, remounted them on my OEM wheels, balanced the tires and reset the TPM's charging a very reasonable $80 (VIP reference #**). Since The Tire Rack said they would deliver the wheel package with tires mounted, balanced and with tire pressure monitors I assumed they would reimburse me for the $80. Not a chance, calls were referred to a supervisor who wasn't there but would call back and did not return the call. It won't happen again because I'll only do business with a local reputable tire dealer.

Get expert buying tips about Tires delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I ordered tires from Tire Rack... After a week of no stop daily emails telling me, "Your tires have been delayed..." I decided to cancel the order. I spoke with several Tire Rack officials slash managers, each promised the world but never delivered. However, when I canceled the tires... Tire rack instantly stopped and re-routed the already 2 weeks late tires. Then it took several phone calls and emails to get my credit card refunded. Do yourself a favor and save yourself the aggravation. Buy your tires locally.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I purchased the tire 18 inches from this company. The first issue was that automotive shop was surprised at their irresponsible action, because they let their affiliate shipping company (UPS) leave the expensive tires at the door all weekends. I don’t know who will be responsible if something steal it. The main issue was I had to exchange the tires to 19 inches one because I made a mistake on order. I called the customer service and asked them to return and exchange. They shipped the correct size tires and set up UPS pick up for return item. The customer service clearly told me that return procedure should be quick and they are responsible for picking up the items.

However, I haven’t heard from them and gotten refund for 2 weeks. They never provided the tracking number and they just charged both return and exchange items twice. I called the customer service and complained about it. They said the return item is missing and they cannot track it. They don’t even explain about what happened, like what is the UPS tracking number, why they cannot track, where are my return tires gone. Customer service lady is extremely rude and emotional and never let me finish talking and hanged up the phone without any explanation and never called me back. Missing items by their shipping company is absolutely NOT my responsibility and I am not even sure if they really didn’t receive the return items or not. I don’t recommend this irresponsible company.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My husband and I bought snow tires last year through Tire Rack. Something punctured the tire beyond repair. We needed a tire right away so we went to a shop and started the process. After all is said and done we then receive an email stating they will only replace the tire for the cost spent through them and not the one we got, even though it is the EXACT same tire. I called the helpline to ask why they wouldn't cover the entire cost of replacement, especially since it is a warranty job. The response I got from the lady on the phone said and I quote, "We aren't responsible for inflation". Yeah, never getting tires through Tire Rack again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tire Rack?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I purchased 4 Cooper Discoverer Tires and matching rims from Tire Rack. You would not believe the problems they have caused me. One of the rims had weights that was too large to clear the brake caliper but the other three did. I drove about 3 miles and noticed the noise from my rear driver side wheel. Inspection revealed the oversize weights were scrubbing the brake caliper and one of the taped on weights mounted inside the rim had rubbed off. I contacted (Pam) at customer service and explained the problem. She asked that I take a picture of the problem and email them to her. Well, I had to remove the mounted wheel to make the pictures and one of the lug nuts had seized to the wheel stud. The stud broke off. This is only the beginning!

My truck is Chevy 2500. To remove the broken stud meant I had to completely disassemble the brake caliper, remove the axle, replace the stud, buy new seals, buy a set of star bits, buy a new stud, buy a axle nut wrench, buy differential fluid to replace some that got out after removing the axle, still have to take the wheel to a local dealer and pay them to rebalance the wheel with the proper size weights and several hours of my time to get to this point. My truck is still immobile because I had to order the axle nut wrench and will not get until next week. I have spent over $150.00 out of my pocket and no response from customer service. This has been a total nightmare for me. Tire Rack takes no responsibility for this disaster. If any recourse is available I will pursue this matter until I am 100 years old!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Ordered snow tires on the 13th, website says delivery for the 16th. It’s now the 25, and still no tires. Emailed, when my order was switched from the DE warehouse which had the tires in stock , to the CT warehouse that had them on back order was told the tires are in CT and will ship soon. Now the tires are being shipped from the DE warehouse, and the tracking number does not work.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I ordered a set of BFG KO2s because their website said that they would arrive the next day. Now I am being told they will arrive next week. BAIT & SWITCH! They are also $25 more per tire than 4 Wheel Parts.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I purchased 4 Sport Muscle V76 Chrome wheels from Tire Rack in spring 2018. By August of 2018 after about 2000 miles, the chrome was checking and beginning to pit. In addition, upon close inspection, there were spots where the chrome was missing and the wheel was just light gray. When I brought it to the attention of Tire Rack with six documented photos, I was told it appeared that they were beginning to pit and the solution was to clean them with chrome cleaner and wash them often. They denied any warranty coverage and offered me a 25% discount off retail on a new set...4 months after purchase! Buyer beware - Sport Muscle V76 Chrome Wheels are an inferior product - very poor chrome. The manufacturer does not stand behind the product and the Tire Rack hid behind the manufacturer - happy to take your money, but zero customer satisfaction.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I have been a customer with Tire Rack for approximately 10 years and have purchased 4-5 sets of winter wheel/tire packages from them without problems until now. My most recent purchase within this last month did not go well from the beginning. The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. When I went to pick up the wheels 5 days after they arrived at the local TR warehouse, they were not mounted or ready to go. Had to come back a couple days later only for them to show me two of the rims were damaged before mounting them to tires. I coordinated for them to be shipped to my house no charge instead of making a trip 30 miles back to the warehouse. They gave me a half price credit for one of the rims since it was cosmetic which I agreed to and appreciated.

Upon being shipped to my house, one of the tires was almost flat so I filled it up to the proper air pressure and mounted it on my vehicle only to see it repeatedly lose air every day over the next 3 days. I emailed TR on a Friday hoping to get a response on Saturday, to no avail. I called 3 times during the day on Saturday and waited on hold all 3 times (5-10 minutes) without being able to talk to anybody. Finally I gave up and now have to figure out why a brand new mounted tire won't maintain air. I'm sure it is likely something simple, but nonetheless frustrating having to deal with the hassle during my busy work schedule to get it fixed. It appears to me that TireRack's once good name and good deal is falling apart due to poor quality control and customer service. I am very disappointed and will more than likely look elsewhere next time I purchase winter wheels/tires.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I returned 2 Goodyear Tires this a.m. November 17, 2018 to their warehouse in Delaware. After returning I noticed I did not get paperwork for my credit card return. I contacted Tire Rack and the person Donna at ** told me it would take at least 4-7 days and the tires had to be inspected. I returned the tires to their facility (Delaware) and they were inspected (by their employee at Delaware CPU Returns) and I have signed receipt from person receiving the return. Is this just another way or excuse for not giving me a full refund of my payment? This is the first time I have ever used them and will not going to ever use them again.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

After purchasing four tires and wheels that did not fit, it took seven phone calls over a three week period after they had received the wheels and tires back to get a refund. At the time of this writing, they still owed me over 900.00. The refunds trickled in a wheel and a tire at a time. These people do not know what customer service means. I would never order from them again and advise anyone thinking about ordering from them to go elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I purchased 4 new Michelin Defender tires at Tire Rack in October 2018. I had them shipped to Big O Tires, one of the recommended installers. When I went to pick up the tires, the service department told me that the tires were manufactured in 2015, and were therefore 3 years old. I called Tire Rack and told them selling 3 year old tires was unacceptable, that they should have disclosed the age of the tires, at the time I purchased the tires... They then tried to say the tires are stored in a climate controlled warehouse, saying it was no big deal. Long story short, I told them to take the tires back and to credit me for the total amount I paid, including the mounting fee, and dis-mounting fee. My analogy, if you buy a 2018 car, and the dealer delivers a 2015 car, saying it has been stored in a climate controlled warehouse, it's fraud. I'll never do business with Tire Rack again.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Please buy Tires from Sam's Club or Costco since their prices and tire repair warranty is way better than TireRack.com. TireRack.com use this "Sonsio" company and they only pay partial amount for repair. Even they state $25 but they only pay for patch but not for installation or tax. Bad way of doing business Tire Rack!!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I only drive highway and work in a small town. I bought cheaper tires for my work car and after 20k miles the tread started to split apart (I say cheaper tires due to the cost). I contacted Tire Rack and submitted pictures, tread depth and mileage all from the garage, per Tirerack.com's request. About 2 hours later I got a callback, "Sorry but we cannot approve warranty due to tread punctures from road hazards." Funny these tires (x4) have no patches or plugs etc. But the car fails inspection due to the tread ripping. Also these are only driven during the summer months and I have a separate set for the winter. They did offer to give me 15% off buying a new set from them.

Sorry but I won't buy from Tirerack.com nor will I buy that brand of tire again. If I did buy cheaper tires and the manufacturing of the rubber failed before the tread wore out that is a warranty claim. But to not honor the claim based on other road punctures is crap. There isn't any holes in these tires and if there was why would that void the warranty (manufacturing) process of a tire. Neither one held up to their end.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Bought a set of 4 tires Cooper to be exact. Once a week there has been a bubble or two or three on the tires and inner wall BUBBLES. Let me guess sat in a warehouse for months dry rotting only to be sold to us. Please go to your local tire store that way any problems occur and you can revisit the store instead of dealing with BS from Andy. Also let a message for his Boss Bonnie ** still waiting on a return call... Told this company my daughter is driving this vehicle and her safety rides on them. They could care less!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I've bought four sets of Michelin and Bridgestone tires from Tire Rack in the last 10 years or so and have always received accurate e-mails confirming shipping. I'm in the S.F Bay Area and the tires come from their warehouse in the Reno area in 3 or 4 days to my nearby installer. I damaged a tire a couple years ago (4"sidewall blister) and took it to my installer who called Tire Rack and initiated a road hazard claim. They said they would send a free tire out and I was so pleased with the process that I paid for another tire to replace my shaky spare tire. Can't get better service than that!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Ordered set of truck tires on 9-2-18, all was well until I took the truck to the dealership and they notified me the "NEW" tire I got were made 3 years ago. So I called Tire Rack and they informed me that it said in the description they were from old stock. There was nothing on their site that noted this. I did however figure out on the invoice that is has "old" crammed together in the part number 765SR8WATAOWL2OLD. Also in the small print in a paragraph to the right 113/110SC2014 STOCK. Again nothing on their site to indicate that the tires are aged, only after the sale was made and delivered. And of course they offered to return the tires. What a joke, first I have to find my old tires or another new set and pay to have them removed and mounted & balanced again. Lesson learned.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Tire Rack advertises free road hazard protection and is a complete false rip off! First of all don't make the same mistake I did. READ THE 3 PAGE WARRANTY FOR TIRES FIRST. It is basically saying, "We won't for PAY for anything," and the demands they have for using this nonwarranty warranty are not worth the hassle and headaches of dealing with.

I bought 2 tires and both blew out in the middle of the night. At this hour who is going to photograph the proof or l was just happy to get off the highway safe. When I called Tire Rack they wanted photos and documentation out the ying yang to get a little bit of prorated credit but only if I purchase the next tires from them. So what should I do, leave my car parked on the interstate for days till I can re-order and argue with them over a nonexistent warranty and go thru their painstaking interrogation and prove my tires blew out? NO THANKS. NEVER AGAIN!! Even local tire shops won't help you. I found out because they say "you did not buy your tires from us". I will buy my tires local even if I have to spend a few dollars more and have far fewer headaches in the long run. They are a terrible company to deal with as evidenced by the number of complaints I read online about them proves me right! STAY AWAY FROM TIRE RACK.COM.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have bought tires from Tire Rack for years. I have always been satisfied. The “free” Road Hazard Insurance only covers a new tire if your tire is not repairable. Obviously, a new tire has to be mounted right? Tire Rack plan doesn’t cover the $42.50 price. What kind of Road Hazard policy doesn’t cover mounting - Tire Rack’s. What a rip off!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Had multiple problems with my order. First, tracking showed that only 3 of the 4 tires got delivered to installer, so I waited until couple days later I called the installer and they confirmed they have all 4 tires. Next, installer I picked refused to install them saying the car is too big and they don't have the right equipment, so I had to pick them up and find another installer. One of them said on the phone they would not do the tire rack installation because in order to do this, tires should have been shipped to them. Finally found installer that worked for my schedule, and asked them on the phone if installation pricing on the tire rack website was accurate. When I arrived for installation they said that TR messed up their pricing and I had to pay $5 more. Lastly, sent email about all of this to tire rack and never even got a response.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Customer for 15 years. Paid 600 for 2 tires. They said it would be there in 3 days. So I purchased. They called back saying now they had to send from different area. I did not get messages in timely manner. So they didn't overnight them and now I have to wait 7 days. Lady told me I would have to pay for overnight shipping. It was their mistake in the first place. Why didn't they just overnight them when they realized they messed up. They offered me 100 bucks. How is 100 bucks gonna help with no car? Well my couple thousands I would have spent later on will. No car for a week now. Will not do business with them again!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Tire Rack sent two bad tires to me and they did not do what the website said - one tire was out of balance by 6.5 ounces, the other was out close to that. It took me six trips to Discount Tire to fix this mess and two exchanged tires later and they are charging buyer's tax and then telling you that the state you're from is forcing them to do this **. All other online tire sellers are not doing this. Beware. Buy your tires from your local tire shop and not have to go through this crap.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I have been buying from Tire Rack for 20 years. Never had an issue with the service or product until now. I bought a new set of race tires and rims, heat cycled and balanced shipped to my door. Bolted them on, check air pressure and went racing. The weights mounted on the tires jettisoned off while I was at speed on the track causing a major vibration ending my weekend at the track. I let them know, with pictures, and they offer to pay for balancing. What? Don't you want to know why this happened so you can avoid any future issues? Mounting error? Maybe? Tape issue? Maybe? Nope. Here was their reply..."For track use you should look into covering those weights with some aluminum tape." I'm sick in my gut and thankful nothing serious happened. These weights were rather larger and my car hits over 120MPH. Amateur customer service and a passive approach to resolving an issue makes my gut hurt more. So sad...

Original review: July 28, 2018

I ordered a complete set of wheels/tires through their wheel and tire package. I knew that they were a little bit more expensive than other vendors, but I figured that it'd be worth my peace of mind since they would mount, balance, and install the sensors. I had them shipped to an authorized installer and after installing them, I noticed that my TPMS light came on. I figured that they just needed to be reset, so I brought them back to the shop and they told me there were never any sensors installed. I showed them my receipt from Tire Rack and so they unmounted the tire and we didn't find any sensors. I took pictures and sent them to Tire Rack. After repeated back and forth communication, they agreed to send out new sensors and pay for labor. I finally got everything completed, but I could have saved a ton of money just buying the tires/wheels/sensors separately... So much for my peace of mind...

Original review: July 24, 2018

My dealings with Tire Rack are honestly the worst I have ever experienced. I ordered a $2800 tire and wheel package and learned two days later the wheel I wanted was on back order. In my initial order of those wheels I also requested TPMS sensors be installed. Tire Rack was not the cheapest on the tires or wheels but I thought it would be convenient for it to arrive at my house all mounted and balanced.

When I was informed via email my wheels were on back order I was offered to swap out to other in stock wheels. After three emails going backing and forth between Jim ** and myself, I called and left a message for him to call me. I never got that return call but I did get an email where my order shipped with a wheel that was in stock that I did not approve! Worse yet, the wheels and tires were mounted without TPMS sensors that my truck requires and I ordered.

Businesses make mistakes but how they handle them is where the rubber meets the road. Tire Rack couldn’t have been more ambivalent to the mistake they made. It was basically my problem that the order was placed for wheels I didn’t approve and their solution to the TPMS problem was to offer a discount on the sensors and take a day off to have the newly mounted tires dismounted so sensors could be properly installed. I will never do business with Tire Rack again and will do my very best to make others aware of their lackluster business practices. First negative review I have ever had to do on a business. Most care enough to resolve your concerns.

Original review: July 11, 2018

If you've ever had a tire that didn't live up to it's warranty, you know that they make it pretty difficult to get the money they owe you. Now imagine if the retailer you bought it from was online? You would think they would have to have things in place to make warranty's easy to handle... but if you thought that you'd be wrong! I bought some General Tires that barely made it past 50% of their warranty. In my 34 years of driving, that would be about the WORST a tire has ever performed. When I looked at my tire rack order, they directed me to call General Tires, and General Tires directed me to a local dealer. When I called the local dealer, they told me that they would only warranty tires purchased through them. So I called Tire Rack.

Now Tire Rack assured me that they would honor the warranty. And at first I was happy... until they told me that the "free" shipping of the defective tires would cost me $7 per tire. Then, they told me that if I didn't buy the replacement tires through them, the shipping would NOT be free (and would likely cost me more than they would give me for the warranty!). As far as I'm concerned, if I don't get the money, there is NO warranty. Requiring me to purchase the new tires through them to actually get the money I'm due is ridiculous.

First, the defective tires are down to 1/32", which means they need to be replaced right away. Tire Rack's shipping could take a week, and it could take another week to get the tires mounted and balanced. Meanwhile, I'm driving around on the old tires diminishing the amount of money I'll get from the warranty (because it will be based upon the mileage when they are removed, not the mileage when I discovered that they were defective.) The bottom line? Don't buy tires from TireRack.com. I just did a price comparison, and my local tire vendor actually has BETTER prices on the same tires. And guess what? They'll stand behind the products they sell, and it won't take weeks for installation. If you own TireRack.com stock. Sell!

Original review: June 14, 2018

I recently contacted customer service about an order I had placed 5 years ago. I was looking for specific information about one of the items from the order, that I could not find by my own online research. My initial contact was done over the weekend. Early Monday I received an email reply (all of the communication was through their email contact) asking for the original order information and offering a resolution that I did not expect, let alone even ask for. After a couple of additional email communications there was a replacement part on it's way to my daughter, which had moved halfway across the country since the original order had been placed and fulfilled. Monetarily, this wasn't much, but still, I was more than satisfied with the service received from Tire Rack for something they had no obligation to provide. I have been an online TR customer for 20+ years. It is little things like this that will keep me returning for next 20+ years.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Here's what I know about TR: the quality of what I ordered is on par with what I paid and the service was just fine. I'm happy with my purchase from Tire Rack. I decided to write this simply because the reviews I'm finding online do not align with my experience. I worked in service for many years, and found people tend to share opinions more easily when they feel slighted or ripped off (even when, in reality, they just wanted special treatment and didn't get it). I placed my order on the Friday before Memorial Day, a holiday weekend. On Saturday, I got a call from a friendly rep saying the wheels were back ordered until August. Well, no one orders tires two months before they need them, so I decided on a replacement set and confirmed the change order. They were shipped on Tuesday, and delivered on Thursday. Worth noting this would have been much quicker had I not ordered on a holiday weekend.

I inspected each tire and wheel for visible dents, bends, warping, and bulges and found none. The counterweights are pretty minimal (0.5-1.0 oz) discretely attached to the inner circumference of the rim. No vibration or anything on PA highways (70+ mph). Very quiet, too. The reason I'm giving four stars and not five is simple: the wheel set I initially ordered was a fantastic deal and it turned out to be back ordered for two months. I find it hard to believe that a national eCommerce retailer doesn't have sufficient inventory management logistics to say on the website when a part is back ordered.

I understand not every order goes perfectly, especially for such a large retailer, but this is a common criticism of Tire Rack and felt a little disingenuous to me. To reiterate, I'm satisfied with this purchase. For under $1000, I got decent wheels and premium summer tires mounted, balanced, and delivered to my house. The car looks great and the tires feel excellent. I'd definitely order from them again.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I purchased some rims for my wife's car just under a year ago. Recently one of the wheels was losing tire pressure. I had her bring the car in and was told corrosion was starting to form on the bead seating area. I contacted Tire Rack. They wanted pictures of the corrosion. I had my wife bring the car back to have the tire dismounted and pictures taken. I sent them in and Tire Rack replied telling me that if that the area of corrosion was not in the seating area. If that was the case, why did it leak in the first place?

I responded telling them, the wheel made it almost a year without leaking. They said I should use some bead sealant to make the repair. I told them that corrosion will not just go away. That it is going to come back. I asked for a manager name and extension number so I could talk with them. They responded that corrosion was not a warrantable condition. These rims a only one year old. I don't believe they should have this type of issue at this time.

Tire Rack expert review by Lauren Fix

Tire Rack has over 2.2 million square feet of distribution center space across the country packed with inventory from 21 major tire and 58 wheel brands. Their prices are competitive and their expertise is unmatched. Tire Rack has its own track to put tires to the test lap after lap, so you know exactly how a tire performs.

• Tire navigator: Search for tires by year, make and model as well as tire and wheel packages already mounted and ready to install.

• Availability: Tires or tire and wheel packages are ready to deliver by the next day in most cases.

• Major brands: BF Goodrich, Continental, Avon, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Firestone, General Tire, Goodyear, Hankook, Hoosier, Kuhmo, Michelin, Pirelli, Toyo, Yokohama and more.

• Learning center: Tire Rack has an extensive area of their website dedicated to education, research and advice.

• Installation: Can be shipped directly to the installer of your choice or one of their 8,000+installers. All you have to do is schedule your appointment and show up. Tires can also be shipped directly to your address.

• Best for: Sports car and high-end vehicle drivers, extreme performance, touring, winter, run-flats, light truck and SUV drivers and passenger vehicle drivers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Tire Rack Company Information