Call toll free
3.75/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With over 50 years experience in tire expertise, Mavis Discount Tire is one of the largest independent multi-brand tire dealers in the US. With service center locations in New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts, we are proud to offer a variety of quality services to suit your needs.

2001 Mavis Discount Tires Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I found that their "service advisor," a fellow named Steve, in the Rt. 211, Middletown, NY store, to be dishonest. Steve either lied or was misinformed about the warranty on the tires I had previously purchased at Mavis (STS), although he didn't investigate before telling me the issue was not covered. He knowingly lied in the presence of, and complicit with, a manager about the specifications of the tires I had installed and the brand of the shocks and struts they installed. My attempts to inform the corporate office of his deceptiveness were unsuccessful, as no one bothered to call me back. They took over 5 hours to install tires, struts, and shocks. The struts were not adequately tightened and I had to have that done after having driven to Florida. They are not trustworthy and customers should consider how much money and effort they want to expend trying to get truthful advice and accurate documentation.

Get expert buying tips about Tires delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I did Oil Change and Alignment and they were really nice and professional. The guy give me some recommendations. He give me the discounts of the coupons. I was so happy that I would definitely recommend this location to someone.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I have used Tire Town now Mavis Tire, in Myrtle Beach, SC. 29588 for years at this location. The workers have always been very courteous to everyone who walks through the door of the establishment. They have the unusual QUALITY nowadays of BEING ETHICAL, and will not perform needless repairs on your vehicle unless it is actually needed. While there, I listened to the man behind the counter as he talked to other customers.

One man, He counseled to return to his dealership to have a certain repair done because it was still under warranty and it would cost him LESS. Another customer was treated just as valuable and respectfully. As for me, He told me that my brakes & tires were fine, just some brake dust making the noise and tires just needed some air. The mechanic who looked at my vehicle was also just as nice. This is a good shop!!! These are honest people who hold ethics in a high place. They have earned the respect of their customers.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

After the auto shop I took my car to sold and became horrible and pushy, I needed to find a new mechanic. I passed by Advanced (now Mavis) while out doing errands and have them a try for an oil change and fluid inspection. They were wonderful, friendly and timely. I received a quote for tires, which I need, and the estimate was reasonable. I look forward to building a relationship with this group. Hoping it's a lasting one.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Great service and courteous which was appreciated on my visit to replace a tire that was flat and also a rim wheel that was damaged on a bad pothole. I was very happy with my visit and the level of service that was performed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mavis Discount Tires?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Dec 2018, had the wheels on my Toyota Sienna minivan balanced at Mavis Discount Tires in Pawling, NY. Next day, I'm cruising 75 mph down Rt 95 when I hear a sound, getting louder, seemingly from the front wheel well. I pull over to find 3 lug nuts on one wheel loose to the point of falling off, and 2 lug nuts on another wheel about to fall off. Tightened them and was on my way, but thankful that my wheel didn't fly off at highway speed. No one should have to tighten the lug nuts after the mechanic finishes the work.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Carried tire to the store and had to get tire from another location. We had errands to run and he called when tire was ready. Very satisfied and will definitely use this company again if I ever need service again.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Mavis Tires is a rip off company. They don't care about customers. They will rob you! I went in for brakes rotors & drums at Mavis in 500 Hillside Ave. New Hyde Park. I spoke to the service manager Nick. I told him what I wanted. He gave me a price of $300.00. I asked him again, “Is that for everything?” He said, “Yes I don't play games.” So I agreed to let him do the job. After the job was done hours later I went to pay the bill and now he gives me a bill for over $700.00. W.t.f. I told him, “You said it was $300.00 for the whole job.”

Now he changes his story and tells me its $300.00 for the front and $300.00 for the rear. This is not what I was told in the beginning. They lie just to get your business then they screw you. I spoke to Samantha who is the rep. I guess after making 6 phone calls she said she will check the recording and get back to me. Another liar! They are in cahoots and lie. Don't let them scam you go elsewhere. They are not ethical business people and only want to rip you off. Don't trust them!!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Pretty bad when going to Mavis tire in Greenville NY, yesterday afternoon cause I heard a grinding noise coming from my front end of car. After taking all tires off I sat and waited. They called me in and told me I needed front pads, rotors and calipers. He said $600 to do all work. I said no way cant afford that. Then he's like owe you not gonna have it done, I said no. And then he said well I wouldn't drive it, not safe. Then walked me out to front counter trying to get me to fill out credit app for services. I said, "No won't do that." Then he said, "Ok I'll do it for $500." I laughed and said, "No thanks." Then when getting home found out and got that so called $600 needed job done in 20 mins for $100 parts and labor. Didn't need all they said I did. Something needs to be done about these scammers! Please spread the word.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Mavis did oil change on Subaru - was at dealer for another repair and they told me that the wrong oil filter was used and I was leaking oil and that they also did not replace gaskets. Had rotors and pads done front and back - exactly 20,000 miles later the dealer is saying they all need replacing. They cited low grade parts aftermarket parts used by Mavis. Had 4 tires replaced using their brand tire - the car has not Driven the same since. Terrible tires or they didn’t balance and align properly. Never will spend another dime at Mavis.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Our car was having a charging problem, and was making noises that suggested to me the alternator was failing. Since I couldn't be sure the car would make it all the way to our usual repair shop, I figured I should try the local Mavis since it was only a couple miles away. I had thought "hey, it's been almost three years since we last went there, they might have improved." How wrong I was. Dropped the car off first thing in the morning, waited for them to call back with a diagnosis and estimate. Towards the end of the day, I finally had to call *THEM* back, and they said "yes, it's the alternator, we can't fix it." Seriously? A repair shop, and they can't change an alternator? And they can't even be bothered to call us and tell us this? Limped the car to our regular shop, and it was done and ready in half a day.

We had actually stopped going to our local Mavis Tire because of multiple occasions that they showed just how incapable and/or corrupt the place is. For example, some three years back my brother had needed an alignment done on his truck. He had originally gone to the Mavis in Yorktown NY, and he asked for a before-and-after printout to see how much had to be fixed. They said "oh, the printer is broken." Shortly afterward, he found it still wasn't right, so we brought it to the Pawling NY shop.

When he asked for a before-and-after printout from them, wouldn't you know they gave the *exact same* excuse about the printer being broken! What are the chances? Mind you, my brother had been an automotive tech for longer than most of the tech working there, and the service managers *knew* this fact. If they think they can get away with such bald-faced lies with someone they *know* is experienced in the business, just how much more do you think they're scamming the general public?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I ALWAYS FEEL CONFIDENT THAT I'M GETTING THE BEST POSSIBLE SERVICE FROM MARK & BILL. I've been going to them for decades, and have a strong ongoing relationship. They used to service the fleet of (old) vans when I owned a business, and they were able to keep eveythhing running smoothly.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Brought in 4 tires to get mounted, only because Mavis said they couldn't get the ones I wanted, I found plenty available online. I made an appointment, came in and was told it will be an hour, maybe more so I left and went to another Mavis and they got me right in only to have to wait over an hour once they got my wheels off my truck. Watched through the window, they mounted one tire then did nothing else until I complained about the wait, at that point they start to work on my truck again. Extremely displeased with Mavis. Will avoid returning in the future and will recommend to go somewhere else. Terrible service and they nickel and dime you with every little thing they can find to charge you more.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Called for appt. Most important truck due for inspection & emissions. Drop off truck. Told they don’t yet have machine to do inspections which didn’t mention on phone call. Also please see why check engine light comes on. $2200 later we have to take truck to another garage and can’t get inspection due to engine light on Called Mavis and for another fee will take look. Horrible ripoff place. Expensive lesson learned.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I made an appointment for 11:00 so that I could get my car inspected on my lunch hour. It is now 12:15 and they haven't even brought my car in!! What good is an appointment? Now I'm late getting back to work! Won't be back here again.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Phoned to purchase 4 tires on 11/21/18. Got price, which was good. Confirmed availability. In stock. Told could possibly have next day. Agent made call, confirmed he could have on Friday. Set up appointment for Monday at 10:30. Arrived on Monday on time. Paperwork ready to go. Told about 1 hour until installing. OK with that. Asked if tires were there. Told wouldn't know until up on rack. I insisted on a check, just to be sure, and not waste a 2 hour wait until up on rack.

Agent went back to check. Came back in to wait on other customer. Didn't say anything about my tires. Went back out. Came back in. Didn't say a word. I said "what about my tires?". Then told they are not there and not available. I went ballistic. Why was I told they were available? Why wasn't I informed Friday they didn't come in Friday? Why wasn't I told on Monday? To compound this the agent was definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed, as they say. Interaction with other customers was ridiculous. I will never deal with these morons again.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have been a loyal customer of Griffin Brothers Tire and Auto in Concord, NC for several years. Recently, I noticed that the name had changed and it is now Mavis Discount Tire. I was hoping that the same people would be working there so, I made an appointment for an oil change. I took my car in on Friday 11/13 for an oil change and tire rotation. About 30 minutes after dropping of my car they called and said that I needed new tires and to have my suspension completely replaced front and rear. This was all to the tune of only $1800 (because they were running a sale!).

Initially, I told them to go ahead with the work since the car has almost 100K on the odometer. I called back about 5 minutes later to ask about the warranty on the tires and the guy just says that he will knock another $100 of the price. This made me suspicious so, I told them to just change to oil as planned. Their whole attitude changed at this point and they became very abrupt. I took the car to a local car dealer that I know and trust and had them look at the car. They said that not only was there nothing wrong with my suspension, my tires were not as bad as Mavis said either. Needless to say I will never go back to Mavis Discount Tire again!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Wrong size tires on my car. 3.5 hour wait - Don't use Mavis. Find a local trustworthy mechanic who cares about you. At first Mavis put the wrong size tires on the front of my car but the correct ones on the back. (THEY ARE ALL THE SAME SIZE.) I hit my wheel well when I pulled out to leave. The manager was truly sorry. So, I tried to use them for a wheel alignment. I booked it for Sunday 11/25/18 at 11:00. By 2:30 my car was still in the same spot. I got my keys and left. The service manager couldn't care less. Why have appointments online when you do not care about them one bit? You got me twice Mavis. Never again.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I was visiting family and Beacon and have a lengthy history with Mavis in Albany New York. Well my car was scraping so bad your ears couldn’t stand it. The team at Mavis in Beacon was absolutely wonderful. Juan was great all of them. I wish they were closer to where I live, I would highly recommend this branch location to anyone. Great job guys.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I have purchased several sets of tires at Mavis Discount Tires, in August 2017 I purchased two sets of tires for both of our cars. One set was Veerubber Vitrons. At 17,000 miles they are virtually bald, I went to the store located on Genesee Street in Utica, NY in which a technician initially measured and said let me talk to the manager as they are pretty worn. The manager came out and looked at the tires, he said they had a 40,000 mile warranty and that 17,000 miles is almost half life so there is nothing that can do about the wear and tear on the tires. The manager conclude by saying: "You get what you pay for." I can tell you I will not buy another set of tires from them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I have been going to this business for a number of years, and I am very satisfied. I will continue using their services, to do my oil changes, and battery replacements tire rotations, and I also have a Ford Explorer that they maintain as well.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I’ve started supporting Mavis tires since they opened a location in the nearby shopping center 2 years ago. Previously we trusted the Tire Corral company in our town. They are great but their location was much further from our home. In the past 2 years we’ve purchased 14 tires for 4 of our vehicles. This past September I had 2 front tires replaced on 1 of my cars. I suffered a flat on one over the weekend. The lug nuts were so tight I literally bent the factory issued lug wrench trying to loosen them. I was unable to remove the tire to change to my spare. I called them and they were just closing at the time, however the associate I spoke with informed me that they would check the torque on them before replacing it. I had to have the car towed to their location.

To that point. When I went back to get a resolution. The associate went out to my car with a large socket wrench. When I asked about him checking the torque strength he stated that they use a specific tool for each model car when they replace tires, and that they couldn’t check the torque when removing the lug nuts. So I asked, "Was the associate that told me otherwise lying." He stated that he was probably confused. Anyway it took him considerable effort to loosen the nuts, & 1 of them was so tight he said they would have to use the power tool to remove it because the metal nut swelled.

So with all this, I was told that all their mechanics perform their jobs by the book, there’s no way that they can make a mistake. They generously gave me 1 lug nut free of charge. And as the tire isn't on a discount promotion at this time, they offered to replace it for the same price I paid in September. We will be taking our business back to the Tire Corral in Blackwood.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

HORRIBLE! A NIGHTMARE dealing with Mavis. I ordered 4 new Snows at (upper) Central Ave store (Mike) Albany, NY. I drive 22 miles to my appointment. Store tells me "NO Mike" there... then said, "NO order for you." They send me to (lower) Central Ave store in downtown Albany. NO MIKE? NO TIRES? NO ORDER? A freaking NIGHTMARE. As a 2nd storm approaches - I live on a mountain, I still have 4 bold tires! The GOOD NEWS IS: I'll never have to go through this ever again! Because I'll NEVER EVER even try to buy tires at ANY - Mavis Store ever again. GREAT way to lose business, MAVIS!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I had made an appointment online for the Hamburg NY new location earlier in the week to have new tires put on my daughter's vehicle. The appointment was for 2:30 pm and we arrived about 15 minutes early to have time to pick out tires. We went up to the desk and said we were here to have new tires installed and the man immediately said "not today" and then I went on explain I have an appointment and he said, "Looked it up" and did state my daughter's name so you know the info was in the system. He then showed us tires and we picked the tires and he went on but cannot install them today.

And I stated, "But I have an appointment" and he said so did everyone else there. I was like, "Excuse me but what does that have to do with the fact I have an appointment." I told him I made the appointment online and have the confirmation and the other guy there then said, "We cannot manage the appointments made online." I was like, "Well then why is that an option."

However, my daughter had called the day before and spoke to someone and explained she had appointment for tires and could she add an oil change and it was added and nothing was said at that time that they could not keep that appointment. The other guy as I kept arguing I had an appointment and expected to have the tires installed then stated you can sit here and wait but probably not going to happen.

The thing that bothered me the most I feel is that they kept stating not going to happen today and when I said I have an appointment their rude response was not going to happen today and everyone here had a appointment too. Well apparently you have a problem. There was no empathy to my situation that I had an appointment and had the printed confirmation and that my daughter had called the day before and spoke to someone to add the oil change. All I got was not going to happen today.

The whole issue could have been handled differently and perhaps could have offered another appointment and perhaps given a discount or free oil change for my inconvenience which was clearly an issue on their part. I think that their corporate office should send out some "secret shoppers" to go and see how rude and ignorant their workers representing their company are. They say word of mouth can be your best advertising OR YOUR WORSE. Guess it will be their worse as I will be sharing my story with everyone I know.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

On the 5th of Aug, 2018 I stopped by at Mavis Tire Shrewsbury, NJ after the car had stalled on the FDR drive in New York to have Mavis Tire of Shrewsbury check into the issue. They said, (Dominic and Ken) I needed a new “cam” and it would cost $438.00 and added it would take 2 hours and 20 minutes to do the job. I told them I would be back on the following day, I had to drop someone off in Newark.

On Monday the 6th I drove to Newark NJ and brought the car back into Mavis Tire Shrewsbury, NJ to have the cam put in. At that time Dominic and Ken said that while they were in that area of the car I should also get a new water pump and a new timing belt. They said it would cost 6 hundred and change, after some negotiation they agreed to do the work for $525.00. I had asked them if I would be better off just trading the car in. They said there was no reason to trade the car in, Honda Civic is a good motor, they added it would be good for another 200,000 miles. I gave them the car and keys then waited. They were aware I drove for a living and the car is essential to that end.

I sat there that day and the 2 hour and 20 minute job went all day and I was told the timing belt was put in backwards… (Putting a timing belt in backwards is impossible.) The mechanic that was working on the car had his father kindly take me home and mentioned that tomorrow the car would be done. I arrived at Mavis on the 7th of Aug. about 10AM. The car was still up and I ended up getting a new story about problem with a spring missing from the parts they order and a new one was coming in! The part arrived and still there were problems… I left there late in the day. Oil was everywhere under the car.

The 8th I called and was told that parts were ordered and coming in and to call back around 11AM. I would follow up each day sometimes twice when I was asked to. Every time I called I got a new story and new parts were coming… Finally, Pauli the manager, told me that the mechanic blew the engine by applying too much pressure to the oil and the head gasket was blown and oil went into the 3 cylinder. Pauli told me at one point the new head arrived then later it was the wrong one and another was coming in the next day. When it came in it was the wrong size. Later, they did manage to get the car running but it was missing. Now it has been near 3 weeks I have not been able to work because my car is not fixed and I am still getting stories when I call or stop by.

On Aug. 24th I called, Mavis Tire Shrewsbury, NJ, spoke with Ken first. I expressed that I no longer want to speak with him, he never lives up to his word and from what I can tell he is used to put customers off. I told Ken that I want to speak direct with Pauli. Pauli of Mavis Tire Shrewsbury, NJ gave me a new story about a lot of parts for the head that is on order and still nothing has been done! He said to call back at 5 PM Saturday, I did and was told the parts came in and the head was being sent out to someone else to repair. Pauli added that the head would be back Monday at 10 AM and the car will be reassembled and I would have my car “as is” a clear signal that it will not be made right.

I question that the car will actually be brought back to ever ride the way it did before bringing it to Mavis Tire Shrewsbury NJ. After this amount of time it seems very clear that Mavis Tire Shrewsbury, NJ destroyed my car and it is clearly beyond their ability to repair! Well the car was not done. I spoke with Dominic the only one there that is straightforward and takes ownership for mistakes. He said the head would be arriving late in the day. I stopped by the store about 5 pm Pauli said the head was in and I would have the car back Tuesday by noon. Pauli, told me the 3 different stories as I stood in front of him. This prompted me to file a complaint with Better Business. I have no trust in anything Pauli says.

One evening Pauli called me and said the car was purring like a kitten, I was surprised. He said to come in tomorrow to take it and we would speak later in the week. I went in and Dominic was there saying "Hey Bob, let's take the car for a test drive." We both got into the car and I went to start it... It took three tries before the car would turn over! I stepped on the gas and the car hardly moved. Stepped on the gas a bit more and the car moved forward slowly. Dominic, was completely embarrassed and said "Stop, Please just stop the car. I would never let a car out in this condition!"

I have been told 7 different stories about the head. 3 stories about the timing belt parts. I was told Pauli was in the shop when he was standing right next to Ted, typical put off… I was told I would get a callback several days and not once did I receive a callback. Lots of stories and NO action. I have never seen such an unprofessional group. The car is a 2003 Honda Civic. It had 77 thousand miles on it when I purchased it. It had about 113,000 miles. I installed new shocks, brakes, air conditioner, and much more.

During each repair I was told what a great car it is. I have lost $750.00 per average week X 3 weeks and a $1900 sign up bonus with Uber. I had to use taxis ($20.00), and rented a car ($94.10 x 2 plus 93.49) to take care of necessities while I was being fed stories from this branch of Mavis Tire. I want to be made whole with a replacement Honda Civic with like mileage in good running order 2003 or newer plus reimbursed for my losses. And these folks offer me 500 dollars for breaking the car! I told them no! I don't wish to take this further but...

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I went into Mavis to replace a valve stem. Long wait and poor results. Mngr spoke to me about my valve stem options, but never spoke to me about a couple of punctures in my tire. After an hour and a half service, I received my tire, which was installed backward, and terrible patchwork that causes my tire to fail NYS inspection. I don't recommend the Latham, NY store.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Awesome service. Really went out their way to please me. Totally satisfied. I got more than I expected. Customer service was really great. I went in expecting one set of tires but they accommodated me with better tires than I can bargain for. They even went out their way to put air in my spare tire in the trunk. I was ecstatic to say the least.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I was to Mavis Tires about 20 years ago just for tires. They proceeded to tell me I needed all this work on my car (which I had done a few days before). I told them just to do my tires and I would never come back again because they were trying to get over on me as a woman. Well I came back for a wheel alignment and 2 new tires and what a difference in this place!!! They were extremely nice, did what I came in for and at a decent price! I told the manager I would definitely put in great review because they certainly deserved it this time!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I’m currently at Mavis Tires locates on N. Olden Ave. In Ewing N.J. I arrived at 8:10 am to have front brakes with rotors installed in my truck. After waiting for 2 hours, the attendant tells me I needed rear brakes as well and that he had to order the pads because he didn’t have them in stock. That’s fine I replied. He told me they had just arrived, however 20 minutes later I see the C&M Auto Parts driver pull in to deliver the parts. After waiting for another hour and a half he comes back out and states that he didn’t like the way they fit so he called and ordered more. 30 mins. Later he comes back out and states that I’ll be done momentarily. Another 30 mins. Passes and I go out to look at my truck only to see that both rear tires are still off. I’ve now been here for 4 hours for a simple brake and rotor job. Never again will I come to this location. By the way the site manager's name is Eugene, who also happens to be very short tempered.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Here's my story! I went to Mavis in New Hyde Park. I spoke to Nick the service manager. I told him I needed 2 rotors, 2 drums and brake pads for the front and rear of my car. He gave me a price of $300.00 for the whole job. I agreed to this. After the job was done I now have a price of $706.04 W.T.F. I told him before the job was done, three times what I wanted and he still said $300.00.

Now after the work was completed he says it was $300.00 for the front and $300.00 for the rear. That's not what he told me in the beginning. It's a whole new story now! I feel I was cheated. If I knew it was going to be over $700.00 I would have gone to my mechanic. He would have charged me under $400.00. I should have had him write me the estimate before he started but he seemed to be a down to earth kind of guy but I was wrong! I feel I was lied to and am not happy about this. I will not be going to Mavis Tire anymore. They lost a good customer. Warning. Make sure you get a written estimate before the work is done or you will be sorry!!!

Mavis Discount Tires expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1949 as a bicycle tire shop, Mavis now has over 160 service centers. Mavis is found in New York State, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts.

• Beat any price: Mavis offers to beat any price from another company for the same tire. This includes shipping and installation costs.

• Online tire pricing: There is an online pricing tool on the company's home page. Customers can shop by vehicle or tire size.

• Full-service shop: In addition to selling and installing tires, many Mavis shops provide auto service. This can be convenient for consumers needing several jobs done at once.

• Online reservations: An appointment can be made anytime online using the company website.

• Best for: Light truck and SUV drivers, winter, run-flats passenger vehicle drivers and off-road drivers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Mavis Discount Tires Company Information