Call toll free
4.27/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With over 50 years experience in tire expertise, Mavis Discount Tire is one of the largest independent multi-brand tire dealers in the US. With service center locations in New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts, we are proud to offer a variety of quality services to suit your needs.

1975 Mavis Discount Tires Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Awesome service. Really went out their way to please me. Totally satisfied. I got more than I expected. Customer service was really great. I went in expecting one set of tires but they accommodated me with better tires than I can bargain for. They even went out their way to put air in my spare tire in the trunk. I was ecstatic to say the least.

Get expert buying tips about Tires delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I was to Mavis Tires about 20 years ago just for tires. They proceeded to tell me I needed all this work on my car (which I had done a few days before). I told them just to do my tires and I would never come back again because they were trying to get over on me as a woman. Well I came back for a wheel alignment and 2 new tires and what a difference in this place!!! They were extremely nice, did what I came in for and at a decent price! I told the manager I would definitely put in great review because they certainly deserved it this time!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I’m currently at Mavis Tires locates on N. Olden Ave. In Ewing N.J. I arrived at 8:10 am to have front brakes with rotors installed in my truck. After waiting for 2 hours, the attendant tells me I needed rear brakes as well and that he had to order the pads because he didn’t have them in stock. That’s fine I replied. He told me they had just arrived, however 20 minutes later I see the C&M Auto Parts driver pull in to deliver the parts. After waiting for another hour and a half he comes back out and states that he didn’t like the way they fit so he called and ordered more. 30 mins. Later he comes back out and states that I’ll be done momentarily. Another 30 mins. Passes and I go out to look at my truck only to see that both rear tires are still off. I’ve now been here for 4 hours for a simple brake and rotor job. Never again will I come to this location. By the way the site manager's name is Eugene, who also happens to be very short tempered.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Here's my story! I went to Mavis in New Hyde Park. I spoke to Nick the service manager. I told him I needed 2 rotors, 2 drums and brake pads for the front and rear of my car. He gave me a price of $300.00 for the whole job. I agreed to this. After the job was done I now have a price of $706.04 W.T.F. I told him before the job was done, three times what I wanted and he still said $300.00.

Now after the work was completed he says it was $300.00 for the front and $300.00 for the rear. That's not what he told me in the beginning. It's a whole new story now! I feel I was cheated. If I knew it was going to be over $700.00 I would have gone to my mechanic. He would have charged me under $400.00. I should have had him write me the estimate before he started but he seemed to be a down to earth kind of guy but I was wrong! I feel I was lied to and am not happy about this. I will not be going to Mavis Tire anymore. They lost a good customer. Warning. Make sure you get a written estimate before the work is done or you will be sorry!!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Bought tires on May 15, 2018. Was to get the prepaid card in the mail. Never sent. Contacted them 5 times. Last 2 times they said it was mailed. Still never got it 4 months later! Sent paperwork to them 3 times and emailed forms twice. Still no $100.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mavis Discount Tires?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I had purchase 4 tires during Black Friday, so I made an appointment to have my tires installed at the store in Mavis Discount Tire 235 Prospect Ave. West Orange NJ. The service was provided. No issues, no phone calls stating anything wrong with the installation. Well today I had a flat tire. When I removed my wheel cap. Surprise. 1 wheel stud was missing a nut and the other was broken. So I was driving the whole time with 3 nuts holding my front tire. I understand things happen during installation. All it was need it was a simple phone call, stating that a broken part need it repair. Not only was it lack of integrity but also my life and the life of any person as a passenger on my car was put in danger.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I dropped off my wife's car for an oil change. Her number was on file. They called her and told her the car needed a new serpentine belt and the power steering serviced. She told them she'd need to talk to me about it. When I showed up -- SURPRISE -- the power steering service was never mentioned. They gave me the hard sell on the new serpentine belt and I caved against my better judgment. I wish I hadn't, considering they had just tried to scam my wife into buying unnecessary service. They used synthetic oil on the oil change which I didn't ask for, and added an additional 14 dollars labor(?).

How does a regular oil change come to eighty-five dollars? It does when Mavis thinks a woman dropped the car off and they can also add on power steering service that isn't needed. They didn't even reset the Check Oil light, and lied to me and said that they did. I had to reset it myself so they cheat men, too. They just cheat women worse. They are slimy and take advantage of paying customers. At least now I've learned to avoid Mavis Discount Tire at all costs. Push your car somewhere else. Especially if you're a woman. Consider yourself warned.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Here is the story about last three visits (from June to August, 2018) at Mavis Tire, Riverside, Connecticut store: I needed to change all of my BMW 535i run flat tires. I wanted all season tires instead of summer or winter tires. I later found out that they put new summer tires. When I asked why, they said that they couldn’t get all season tires. When I asked why they did not ask me before replacing tires, they had no answer and they did not even apologize for their mistake. I wanted to have that fixed and their answer was there is nothing they can do now. Unbelievable!! I changed my brake pads & rotors for the same car, BMW 535i, with them. I noticed car was shaking when applying the brakes. I took the car back to them for fixing and they seem to have fixed it. The problem is back again after another 800 miles of driving the car. Not sure how many times I have to bring the car back to them.

My mistake to go to them again for changing my Lexus IS250 brake pads and rotors for front and rear. After I got my car back, I noticed that there was smoke coming out of left rear tire. I took the car to them and their standard answer was that this happens for first few miles. When the smoke did not stop, I took the car back to them. They had to fix the brake issue to have smoke go away. After about couple of hundred more miles, we find that the car is driving heavy and braking action is weak. I asked them what is wrong with the brake and what is the quality of brake pads/rotors have they used. The standard answer is that this happens a lot with any moving parts. Not sure, if there is possibility of legal case against them for exposing people to dangers when they do this kind of lousy brake jobs. My recommendation, if you care for your car and safety, stay away from them.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I went to Mavis in March of 2017 to have 2 front tires put on. During that time they said my driver side lower ball joint needed to replaced so I said, “Go ahead and fix it.” 13 months later I heard a noise from my front end. I looked into and it was coming from the ball joint. I noticed that there was a tear in the rubber part already. I called Mavis. They said they only warranty stuff for 12 months and of course it's month 13. They told me to bring it in any time they will look at it and give me a discount. I brought it in on a Monday they said they couldn't look at it till Thursday. Really that's not anytime.

I then called customer service and they said the district manager would call me back and never did. I emailed them and they opened a ticket for me saying someone would get back to me. I waited 2 weeks responded to the email and they said my case has been closed even though I got no response. So I did it again and lo and behold 2 weeks later same thing. I've never heard back from them ever. They are horrible.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I called for an appointment with Mavis in Carmel, NY on Tuesday July 31st, 2018 to schedule an inspection for my car on Thursday 8/2/18 at 6:00pm (as Mavis is open late on Thursdays). I indicated I would be waiting for my car and was told that was no problem. This call was meant to set up a time/appointment to have my car attended to. When I got there on Thursday, there were many cars there and when I went to the counter I was told I may wait for my car as late as closing time at 8:30pm. (2 1/2 hours for an inspection that I called ahead for.) I decided not to wait and asked if I can schedule for earliest appointment on Saturday morning (8/4/18). I was told to get there at 7:45am. When I arrived a few minutes before 7:45am, there were many cars in the parking lot. Some of which there were people waiting (it was pouring rain) and some cars were empty.

There was a man standing at the door (waiting for the doors to open at 8am), with an umbrella. So I took my umbrella and stood with him in front of the door waiting to enter. When Mavis opened the door at 8:00am, the man and I entered first. This caused people to start yelling and fighting with each other. I feared it was very close to becoming "physical" and that someone would get hurt. There were a bunch of Mavis customers arguing over who should come first, people who were there waiting in their cars since 7:15am or the first people at the door with their umbrellas. This was a scary scene (I actually felt myself shaking in fear). The man who I'd been standing with outside the door went to the counter first and he took the brunt of the hostility from a few other men. I was next to go to the counter. One man calmly said to me "Miss, you also cut the line". I simply told the man, I have an appointment. I was not confronted again.

This all being said, Mavis needs to get their act together and not let customers have to decide who should go first. This is very irresponsible to run a business this way. Mavis needs to respect their customers better than this and keep scheduled appointments and have clear boundaries of what customers should expect. One idea for example is if Mavis is telling everyone to come in at 7:45am and it is first come first serve, then each car entering the parking lot should have to stop and take a ticket with their number on it. I think this would be a system everyone can understand and it would work well.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I like Mavis and have been going there for 10 years or longer. They're very good. I do new tires with them and use their other services. Their customer service and communication are good. Moreover, they do a good job and they look out for their customers. If they have a coupon, which they usually do, they apply discounts to my service even if I have no idea about it. They just do it and then they call me.

Original review: July 23, 2018

When I had my car serviced there, I felt that the service rep spoke to me like I was an idiot! Just because I am a woman does not mean that I don’t know anything about cars. When I told him a gasket had blown on the thermostat housing he said, "Oh you mean the clamp?" Every time I said something that was informative, he repeated something entirely different as to try and confuse me. The pieces were outrageous and when I picked the car up he showed me the things the car supposedly “needed!’

First on the list: windshield wipers - which were BRAND NEW very expensive blades that had been installed ten days prior. He went on with other items but after the wipers I stopped listening because I knew then he was going for the fluff! Very very disappointed in this trip there. In the past I had been extremely satisfied, but I truly believe that it depends on which rep you deal with. How sad that they can’t all be honest! I felt that because I was a woman he didn’t feel the need to be honest and just said anything to me! Looking for new mechanics!

Original review: July 19, 2018

I went to the Flemington Mavis Tire Discount yesterday because my car was sluggish in starting. (I am staying with my parents this summer and my father recommended me to go to Flemington Mavis.) My husband checked the alternator (was putting out 14.5 volts) and changed the battery (rated 500 CCA’s). My husband left because he got activated with the military and he will be gone for at least the next 6 weeks so he told me to get the car fixed, said to tell them it’s the starter or solenoid, and to give the mechanic this information. I told Mavis this when I got there.

They looked at me like I was ridiculous to have given them this info (asked where I got it from) but still checked my car. In about 20 minutes they came to get me and told me the car is fine and that nothing was wrong. I told them well why is the car hesitating to start? The one guy told me to try starting it. And I did. The guy said it sounded fine-and had the manager agree. So I left because they were obviously no help. I went home to try to figure out where I should go next and when I went to start my car it wouldn’t turn on. It was completely dead. I had to get it towed and I called Mavis to see what they could do for me. They didn’t care so I towed it to Honda. What was wrong with it? The starter. Honda is replacing it for me right now. My parents will never come to your store again, and obviously, neither will I.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I've been a customer of Mavis Tire for a long time now and my experiences with them have been very good. They know what they’re doing and when I have a question, it’s always answered promptly and I understand it. Their reps are very helpful and I am impressed with their training and knowledge. In my last visit, I had a number of things done and their guy took one of the things out but the manager brought it back. He said, “No. The alignment is not what I want it to be for you.” They did it again and actually did it the third time and everything was fine. So, they would make sure it's right before they would allow me to take the car.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I heard from a friend who has gone to Mavis a few times that the manager was a good guy so I figured I would give it a shot. And the manager was funny, down to earth and got us in and out fast. We got Pirelli tires and I'm happy with the quality of goods. I’ve gone back for an oil change and tire rotation and everything has been great. The prices are good as well as the people every time I’ve gone to Mavis in Farmingdale and I have recommended them to a few friends and co-workers.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I got my tires switched on by Mavis Discount Tires. It was affordable, and the service was good. I'd recommend it.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Purchased 4 Michelin Pilot 4S top of the line tires for my Boss 302 collector car to the tune of $1,477. Upon completion I inspected it to find one wheel had a small chunk of aluminum dug out from the rim and all four wheels had numerous scratch marks all around the rim. Store denied they did it and Mavis Customer Service backed them up of course. I replaced the tires because the Boss is almost 7 years old with only 11k miles on it and they had dry rot. This is the first time the tires have been replaced and I take meticulous care of it so I know there was no damage before they installed them. If you value your vehicle and don't want your wheels ruined don't go to Mavis.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I took my car to Mavis (275 Franklin Ave, Franklin square) on 6/9 to get 2 new tires and an alignment. They serviced my car and while they were test driving my car, the tire fell off. Mavis drove and dropped me off to Enterprise for a rental. Enterprise took $250 out of my account for security. Even though I was told that it would be deducted from Mavis Corporate acct. Smh. My car was taken to Pace Auto Body shop. Pace Auto Body shop (Franklin square) said my car was ready as of 6/15 but the owner could not get his check from Mavis until I called 6/20. I left a message for ** (district manager of that store) on 6/18. He did not call me back, so I called again on 6/20 and finally spoke to him. Be careful getting your car serviced by Mavis because if something goes wrong with your service you will not get to a manager right away. Poor service, dissatisfaction, aggravated and sad. I was still charged for tires after all of this ordeal. Shame on you Mavis. :-(

Original review: June 19, 2018

I always go to Mavis and I go to a particular store because they're the most expensive. I was very pleased with them and the quality's fine. I usually do an oil change and a tire rotation. Everybody's always very nice and I'm very happy with all my interactions with the people at Mavis.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Have gone to this location many times. Have sent my wife and kids to the store also. First ripoff tried to add 60.00 dollars to bill with add ons. Was in store yesterday for car inspection. Made 2:00 appointment. Car did not go in till after 2:35. They only checked the tires. Never pulled a wheel to check brakes. Never checked lights or anything else. Tires have some cracks from dry rot. Not deep at all. Failed inspection. Will report to motor vehicles for improper inspection. I then went to a different garage that I have never been to before. Asked for inspection. They brought it in right away. Car passed inspection. After doing it the right way. The Mavis store in Scarsdale is a ripoff. Very arrogant sales people and understaffed. Will never have me or my family return.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I took my car to the Savannah at 4385 Ogeechee Rd because my air conditioner was blowing hot air. After getting the recommendation from the service advisor, I told him to fix it. I pick up my car and from time I sat in it until I made it home it never blew cold air just hot air. I took my car back the same day and the advisor said he would get the technician to look at it again. Now they are saying once they fix the line and recharged system it affected the AC Compressor and it need replacing. The advisor stated this happens sometimes. I was never told initially that this could happen or replacing the line would not fix my air.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I got a tire from Mavis a couple of months ago and so far, they've been okay. Mavis Tire is local and they're the nearest one to me. They were helpful and the representative I dealt with was very nice. I would tell others to give them a try.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Had new rear tires put on my pick-up 5-6 months ago. The truck is an extra vehicle so it is not used often and I had work to do on it during the winter. A few weeks ago I realized that the tire was losing air around the rim, so I took it back to Mavis to remount the tire correctly this time, and clean the rim before mounting. They assured me they would take care of it at no charge, so I left the tire and had my son pick it up the next day. They charged $18+ for balancing. What? Why am I paying to re-balance the wheel. If they had mounted it correctly the first time I would not be here at all. Never Again. There are too many tire places that do a good work, for me to feel like I paid twice to fix their poor workmanship.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Our son was home on a college short break. He informed us of some shaking that was happening with his car (BMW 328i). Franks diagnosed rotor issue. They were able to fix the issue in a short few hours. Problem was resolved at a cost effectively and he was safely on the road back to school the next morning. They are always prompt and efficient. We have been pleased with the service provided at the Hardscrabble Road location.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Mavis Tire is within walking distance of my house so it's easy to drop the car off and walk home. I've been using them for years for tires, oil changes and brakes, and I would recommend them. My interactions with their representatives are always pleasant. Their tires are of average prices and they do the job.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I had a problem with tire sensor. Mavis is one of the top leading tire installers around. So, I assumed that they had the machine to reprogram a tire sensor that I had. And they put in one, but it was still not coming off. So, their guy called me back the next day to look at it. One couldn’t figure it out, but they found a technician who was able to resolve the problem. He reset the tire sensor and did an exceptional job. They were also courteous and it was well managed. Their service was on point.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Scheduled a 10AM appointment for June 6th online and ordered tires. The tires didn't show up until 10:50 AM and then the Dansville, NY store said they could not install them because my RAM 3500 was too big. So I strapped the tires to my truck and drove to Geneseo where they installed the tires using a floor jack, which Dansville said they couldn't do... So, I wasted 2.5 hours and had to drive an additional 20 miles each way just to get my tires installed the old fashioned way. Not very happy with the wasted time, effort and fuel for a simple tire mount/balance/install... Contacted their customer service using their online form, and they closed the ticket without ever responding. I will never recommend or purchase from their company again.

Original review: June 11, 2018

The vehicle in question is a BMW 2004 Z4 3.0L 52,291 miles; 143 miles at time of brake system testing and replacement due to brake fluid contaminates from brake flush and installation of new brakes at Kauffman Tire, Clearwater DBA: Mavis Discount Tires. We took this vehicle in to replace ONLY the front struts due to ride height indifferences and left one being non-OEM along with replacing tires to SALE vehicle. We already had a secured buyer awaiting work to be completed. This vehicle was planned to be sold to pay for remodeling fees on house to put on market and move. ALL this has created collateral damage of a monetary value with absolutely NO relief in sight nor offered by Mavis.

Extensive vehicular body damages, overcharges, 31%+- parts mark-ups, parts charged but not installed, parts damaged by technician charged customer, service damages and more is the basis for this report’s investigative proceedings below but not all inclusive. ie. The entire report and pertinent documents can be located on FB in my ** page by 'searching' ** in FB. I'm a licensed professional consultant, David **, with over 45yrs directly involved - hands on, mind in - in everything that rolls, floats, flies, articulates and/or levitates. Employed in such commercially, militaristically and within my own small businesses providing directly related services.

I do possess multiple videos in evidence of damages and work done on vehicle afterwards to include the removal of the contaminated brake fluid and placement in sealed containers as well as during testing to ensure integrity of samples and testing methods. ALL components affected had to be replaced at owner’s expense. Ie. Master cylinder, all brake calipers, prematurely worn new front pads and front rotors due to brake binding, complete brake supply lines removal and extensive flushing. We gave them 3 opportunities to verify damages and repair to no avail.

I also have Power of Attorney of this vehicle owner, Barbara **, to handle any and all affairs for her; this client is also my life partner. My expertise and consultant entity was hired due to the extensive amount of investigative work to provide documents in evidence of all the damages incurred by Kauffman Tire. The initial charges at Kauffman are on hold, $2387.80; in dispute and Chase is luckily working with us as consumer victims. Insurance claim has been filed but with a $1000 deductible from a $2408.43 total settlement. Client is still left with lack of compensation to repair all damages incurred by Kauffman; as well as rims and brake system replacement from contamination of petroleum substance interjected in system during Kauffman’s brake flush. (143 miles on vehicle at the time of this testing. Seals will immediately swell once a contaminate comes into contact with it.)

Certain damages could NOT be claimed due to it being classified as ‘during’ service damage. Ie. Top, brake component replacement and rims. Kauffman refuses to forward any insurance forms for claims in complete denial they damaged vehicle or am responsible of other claims in this dispute. We have no remedy in sight after 42 days and will continue to pay damages out of pocket in addition to potentially being held responsible for the charges of service. Apr 20, 2018 initial service of vehicle to replace struts, we provided, and four new run flat tires purchased thru them with alignment and balance. After reading the factory manual of these vehicle purchased a year before I noted many items requiring inspection and replacement if worn. I also requested inspection of items in the strut for serviceability. Ie. The bumper stops.

Kauffman rep, Miles ** contacted Barbara ** and suggested replacing ALL rotors and brakes pads as well as informed her 2 extra hours of labor would be required because she did not bring in ‘quick struts’ - already assembled struts. (There is NO quick struts available for the Z4 only the M325 so that was another deception to overcharge the owner.) I was not available during the conversations so she, not knowing anything of vehicles, said okay. She waited until she could run the brake service by me a few minutes later.

She researched costs on brake service and noted there was an online running ad, good until Dec 31, 2018, stating $79.99 LABOR including brake special. She called back to release four brake pads and four new rotors under the impression she would get the same special. (Their work order plainly states the $54 per axle additional LABOR charges was for ‘brake pad’ replacement.)

Miles also stated when she called both brake sensors required replacement during brake service and one was damaged already. (There was NO brake light warning on when initially delivered; or we would have requested them to inspect and after acquiring the actual parts from Mavis two days later the front sensor tested okay and the rear sensor was NOT changed at all. This part was damaged during the strut removal.) Contacted us at 5:40 stating vehicle was ready for pick up. We were 25 minutes away but the clerk, Jason? Stated he would wait. Closed at 6:00pm. Arrived at 6:05pm. Miles ** was not there when we arrived.

The bill surprised us but there was no one to talk to about discrepancies of charges. Owner paid, not wanting to leave the vehicle outside as they said it would. They also indicated a re-alignment had to be done due to them NOT able to align it correctly; confirmed by the BMW technician they proclaimed was a BMW specialist certified to work on them. (He is neither certified nor qualified based upon the damages in incorrect work done. To wit: all self retaining nuts were NOT replaced nor was the damaged boots and bumper stops.) The owner made them write re-alignment down as included. The owner presumed she could simply take it up the next day with the manager and get a credit BEFORE the credit card was processed.

There was no inspection of the vehicle due to the simplicity of the service done. I was talking to her about dinner when she entered vehicle so the convertible top was not noticed. Apr 20, 2018 First inspection by David ** AFTER securing vehicle and owner driven home. There was the smell of burning rubber in the garage later which initiated the first inspection. We found car completely dirty and other damages immediately. To include the convertible top, rims damage, tire soap still on, front fender scratched and completely saturated with grease or what looked to be brake fluid.

Luckily we had car completely coated with an impenetrable ceramic type coating at Reeders Details not long before. Apr 21, 2018. After inspecting the vehicle further I jacked up the vehicle to gain access to see the struts installation. Noting the boots were displaced. Rims were damaged and front wheels seemed binding. We contacted Kauffman Tire Clearwater to complain in seeking answers, credits and to inquiry of the services. Spoke directly with the manager and original work order author, Miles **. He asked to bring it back in to look at. Based upon the damages we already documented we declined. Noting we did not feel comfortable with same BMW tech at Kauffman working on it again and wanted it to be towed to another Kauffman Tire.

Requested Corporate intervention. Note: brake seals will immediately begin to swell once contaminated with power steering fluid, transmission fluid or any other similar petroleum type substance. Those brakes were NOT binding when I took wheels off a month before to pressure wash the rims! Or I would have addressed immediately!) Apr 22, 2018, Kauffman agree to tow vehicle back to Clearwater shop when I called. I reiterated that I was NOT going to allow the same person access to this vehicle but it was for inspection only. I requested it be towed to New Port Richey instead. It was agreed and towed later to Kauffman New Port Richey store to inspect and fix the next day when BMW tech arrived.

The following day the manager, Bobby, called and said a ride height sensor needed replacing BEFORE they could check alignment and anything else. The next day they called and said it was ready. I researched vehicle and noted that the ride height sensor is ONLY for the headlights. Again, incompetence and unqualified to work on this type vehicle. They TEST drove vehicle after SPECIFIC instructions no one was to drive it. 1.8 miles test drive further damaging vehicle. They cleared as fixed when it clearly was not! They released as ‘no binding’ of brakes. Requested corporate, again, to handle this dispute. No more calls and one email stating he was working on it.

Apr 24, 2018. I determined the stain on the convertible top was actually the rotor sat on top of it during replacement and the lubricant they are shipped in leaked onto the top; permanently damaging it. I sent such findings to corporate rep Larry **. Apr 25, 2018 Insurance adjuster annotated first claim. That covered scratch on fender and cleaning top only. ($696.43 total to repair with $1000 deductible = $303.57 required payment by vehicle owner to fix damages) Stated rim damage or brake damage could NOT be covered because it was service damage. Apr 26, 2018 decided to redeliver vehicle to Kauffman Clearwater in agreement they would repair issues. Owner picked up later that day.

In good faith owner scheduled to get convertible top cleaned in attempts to remove stains by Kauffman Tire placing an object on top of it in 2 locations. They refused to clean and denied it happened during their service. They released vehicle again ensuring owner it was safe for road with no brakes binding. I was unavailable to inspect and front hub did not feel hot after ‘short’ test drive later. Apr 28, 2018 Drove vehicle to Reeder Details 40+- miles away - frequent detailer of this vehicle - to attempt cleaning convertible top oil type contaminates from Kauffman Tire service. The hubs were NOW hot to the touch again and the steering wheel was lightly shaking. Reeder could NOT remove stains. During drive back home wheel began to shake more, vehicle drifting in another lane and slow response in vehicles forward motion.

We decided to take it to Ferman BMW dealer, with certified BMW technicians in Tarpon Springs. We scheduled a complete inspection to verify brake and alignment discrepancies. Apr 30, 2018 BMW certified technicians inspected and re-aligned vehicle properly. Also verified brakes were binding but did not test brake fluid due to lack of that type of service and technology. May 3, 2018 USAA Insurance issued a supplemental claim for convertible top replacement with aftermarket one. The total claim now was $2408.43 with $1000 deductible = payment to insurer of $1403.43 ONLY. The top replacement was $1700 alone. It will NOT come clean and now the vehicle is depreciated $2000+ from their body, rims and convertible top damages.

Kept contacting Mavis corporate rep asking for credit and insurance forms. No answer. May 5, 2018. The struts were inspected next and found was the torque of the right side vs left side were considerably different and thrust bearing was NOT lubricated. Also found parts of metal ON the thrust bearing of the strut; broken off from the shock mounts. I suspect the special tool #22-164568 required was NOT utilized. Nor was the correct torque on the thrust washers applied. May 11, 2018. First rear brake sample was taken after inspecting brake fluid in reservoir to have a distinct power steering smell to it and to verify whether a brake flush was done. Also in suspicions of the front brake binding due to being contaminated. Verified as extremely contaminated and dirty.

May 15, 2018. Documentation was secured to itemize the cost of materials utilized by Kauffman and also to establish documentations of the brake rotors being shipped with lubricant on them. Also their claim that PREMIUM brake pads and PREMIUM rotors were installed. The brake pads are the lowest quality available at AutoZone and others. The exact numbers were taken off the pads and work orders to verify EXACT components. The low quality un-coated front rotors were already rusting on the vehicle and creating more rust on adjacent components. The rear rotors were quality and coated. May 19, 2018. The brake cylinder reservoir was removed to inspect and take samples of contents.

May 22, 2018 Removal of master cylinder to inspect. A stainless steel rod fell OUT of the brake supply reservoir during removal! The pictures taken BEFORE any work was done on the brake system denoted NO ONE had taken any component off nor broken the factory ‘white’ seals until Kauffman serviced vehicle. There is NO REASON to remove those supply lines even to flush brakes. May 24, 2018 All front brake components were removed for inspection. May 25, 2018 Front rotors and brake pads, both damaged prematurely from binding brakes, were purchased. Rear rotors were matched up and documented to be EXACTLY the same circumference to the stains on the convertible top at 300mm. May 28, 2018. ALL brake components removed from vehicle to be replaced, flushed and inspected.

During such removal the dents into the sides of the front fenders was discovered. Insurance would not issue a supplement and owner had them corrected at her expense of $125.00. Dent pulling out only to lessen visual. Subsequently vehicle was completed and put back into service with perfect brake system working. We have sought credit and assistance from Kauffman to no avail. June 8, 2018 a settlement was offered to Kauffman that was $2400 less than the costs of ALL damages and component replacement. This was done so that we may move forward, prep vehicle for sale and end the credit card dispute. Requested was to simply credit ALL the original work order charges, have technician(s) that worked on this vehicle investigated for intentional liable actions during maintenance as well as the review of ALL previous potential victims serviced by that tech.

To include the service manager, Miles **, being investigated for inflating prices to unsuspecting clients and/or working directly with the technician on those actions. (Another perspective is damaging brake systems so that customers will come BACK to the store for repairs? My inquiry and opinion only.) Gave Larry ** 48hrs to contact me on settlement. No word as of the time of this report input in the Consumer Affairs as a review. Sent various news agencies links of this unacceptable service for publicizing for OTHER VICTIMS. SUMMARY June 10, 2018 Still no settlement with Kauffman; client only contacted three times by Kauffman corporate representative, Larry ** during the entire course of this dispute.

Defective parts were returned to store (see R1) but no credit was offered upon anything but… a credit of $169.00 for the BMW dealer re-alignment. $1000's in damages to vehicle: denied by them. Parts broken by them and charged client. Parts charged customer but NOT installed. Contaminated Brake system after 'returning' vehicle to fix AFTER being charged for brake flush. All components required replacement due to their contamination. Purposeful? Two different Kauffman stores had hands on this vehicle. Clearwater and New Port Richey, Florida.

BOTH Kauffman centers released an unsafe vehicle with brakes binding back on the road which could have easily caused an accident. The front brakes were binding so bad you could smell the rubber burning within the closed garage of new tires after first drive home and subsequently after that. That is what alerted me to begin inspecting vehicle the first night it was picked up. The vehicle was taken to BMW certified techs/dealer to inspect and verify brake issues. IT WAS VERIFIED THE BRAKES WERE BINDING. Kauffman runs an on-going brake special with LABOR included yet they charged my client $54 per axle labor and $20 extra on the front brakes. They damaged the front fenders, the convertible top, the rims AND returned the vehicle with all grease, brake fluid and tire 'soap' still on it.

I believe my investigation is complete and thorough upon this vehicle in question whereas you could peruse the items of concern in confidence of the factual basis I have provided all documentation for. This is an on-going dispute of which I've submitted a BBB report, requested news agencies involvement to publicize to inform potential victims serviced by Kauffman Tire. I AM HOPING THIS REPORT INFORMS OTHER POTENTIAL VICTIMS OF WHICH ARE UNINFORMED and otherwise uneducated in vehicle services of Kauffman tire and others performing unacceptable work on vehicles on the road. People’s lives are potentially endangered if they released vehicles just like my clients back on the road.

In addition; on 2 different occasions they have laughed at us of my concerns and allegations of this matter. Also is alarming is the extreme parts mark-ups on consumers with no regulations instilled! In closing we are both Veterans. My client, BW retired, me; 6yrs of which was duly shared with all Kauffman locations in the hopes of being treated with a bit more respect for our services of our country as is the trend nowadays.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Mavis has the best tires. I bought Pirelli P4s tires and a couple of things that I needed for my car, as well. The quality is all very good and the customer service was great.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I know a lot of people that work at Mavis Discount Tires and it's one of those things where you don't really hear word of mouth anymore. So when you do hear it repeatedly, it's something you have to check out. At Mavis, I get the look and feel like family and that's very important. Everybody hates it when something happens on their car. People don't even get oil changes because they're afraid of going, getting an oil change and getting looked at. So when you find a place that feels like home, you don't really want to leave it.

I've gotten a lot of stuff at Mavis. I purchased Polar Bear Vitour tires at the beginning of winter and they are amazing. Polar Bear Vitour has great quality, great traction and control of everything. It's overall a great thing. They're the best tires that I've ever had. They look like the new General Altimax Arctic 12 with the exact same tread patterns at a much more moderate price. Price point is a huge deal for me and Mavis blew it out of the water.

Mavis Discount Tires expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1949 as a bicycle tire shop, Mavis now has over 160 service centers. Mavis is found in New York State, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts.

• Beat any price: Mavis offers to beat any price from another company for the same tire. This includes shipping and installation costs.

• Online tire pricing: There is an online pricing tool on the company's home page. Customers can shop by vehicle or tire size.

• Full-service shop: In addition to selling and installing tires, many Mavis shops provide auto service. This can be convenient for consumers needing several jobs done at once.

• Online reservations: An appointment can be made anytime online using the company website.

• Best for: Light truck and SUV drivers, winter, run-flats passenger vehicle drivers and off-road drivers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Mavis Discount Tires Company Information