4.32/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With over 50 years experience in tire expertise, Mavis Discount Tire is one of the largest independent multi-brand tire dealers in the US. With service center locations in New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts, we are proud to offer a variety of quality services to suit your needs.

Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 16, 2017

1675 Mavis Discount Tires Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I made an appointment online to have tires replaced on 11/09/17, to replace four 4 tires with new General grabber HTS 60, 235-55-19. I received a call from the manager of the Whiting Mavis tire store that my car was ready but, there was a slight mistake made. They had put on the wrong make of tire. They had put on Pirelli tires instead of the generals I had asked for. The manager said he was sorry but would discount the Pirelli tires by $5 each if I agreed to leave those on. I said ok but I wasn't happy about THEIR mistake. I then went to pick up and pay for the tires that were put on my car. I left the store and on the way home the low tire pressure light came on so I immediately returned to the store and let the manager know. They proceeded to check all 4 tires and they were okay. They then reset the light using a code reader and said that should fix it. Saturday the light came on again. I checked the pressure in all tires and they were correct.

I returned to the store on Monday to have them go through the same routine again only to have the light come again a few minutes later. The manager asked me to return on Wednesday as he would be there and have his own code reader there. I returned as asked on Wednesday morning, but that manager was not there but two different guys and were not knowledgeable of the situation. They said they would get it in and see what was going on. They got the light out, however that evening the light came back on. On Thursday afternoon I returned to the store and the manager said he doesn't know what else to do! I told him if he had to, to replace each wheel sensor if necessary. He said ok, bring it back tomorrow morning and he would see what he could do! I think this is as far as it should go. I feel I was the target of a bait and switch, or at least an UPSALE, having me spend more money than I had intended to.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Mavis Discount Tires has always been good and they have the best price. I have always been using them in the past. They're my go-to guys for tires. I also do my regular maintenance, change oil, and inspections with them. Their sales reps are very professional. It's always a good experience with Mavis.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I booked online a night before to change two front tires of my car. The booking was to pick up the car 3 hrs after I drop off. 3 hrs after I dropped off, when I went there to pick up the car, the car was still in the same parking place I have left. The representative told me that was going to be done in 20-30 minutes. 2 hrs later, I see nobody was working on my car for about 15 minutes, and I asked the guy at the desk. He walked in the shop and had someone come and finish the job. The hourly rating for this business is $109/hr. For this amount of money, you would expect better service. 5 hrs and more paperwork than real work. For two tires I got online price $343.96 plus tax, but I was charged $438.74 (they added alignment).

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I've been at Mavis Tires a few times over the last few years. They are within a mile from my apartment. I could drop the tires off and walk back home. Their service is fine and they do well. Usually, the stuff that I go in there for is very minor. It's an oil change or to fix a flat. Nothing overly complicated that they need to explain much for. At one point, I was having repeated flats and I kept having to bring it in. It turned out that it was a result of an improperly seeded tire. It took a little while to be diagnosed. But other than that, I've never had any other issues.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I've bought brakes, tires, exhaust and oil change with Mavis Discount Tires. The Mavis reps are always good and I’ve been a customer for well over 10 years. They’re very accommodating and they’re straightforward. It’s fun to go back. They don’t bs me. Mavis should do what they need to do to keep the people they have.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mavis Discount Tires?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I had a flat tire, so I went to Mavis Tire since they're the closest one. I have purchased from them in the past for the same reason and their service is always good. One morning, I had caught a flat tire. I drove my car there and tried to change my tire inside their parking lot. Being the first guy to get there, he saw me changing it. He then opened up the shop and rang me up a little bit earlier than he had to. Other than that, the cost of the tires there is fair.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I had Mavis do a repair work and fix a flat tire as they're close. Their reps were quick and I had a good dealing with them. The work quality, as well as the experience, were both okay.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I brought my SUV to have the rear brake pads replaced for the $75 they advertised. They responded with I needed new rotors and calipers which would cost $400. The rotors were replaced 20k miles ago and showed minimal wear and the calipers which I had checked by someone else functioned properly. Mavis Tires refused to just install the pads at the special price unless I did the full brake job. This was just a bait and switch. Caveat emptor. BUYER BEWARE! By the way I had the pads replaced and the rear brakes perform perfectly.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

My experience at Mavis was excellent. I arrived on a Sunday--always a busy day. Jay and Jake were able to take me in. They told me it would be about 2 and a half hours. The work was done in about 2 hours and they couldn't have been nicer.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Purchased 2 sets of tires from Mavis Discount Tires in Pittston PA last week. I'm able to mount and balance the tires myself so I just did a cash and carry for both sets. The 3 guys behind the counter were all very straight shooters and very helpful in aiding me with the purchase of the tires for both mine and my dad's truck. Best prices I could find and great service. The tires we both wanted were not in stock, but were ordered and there the next day even after walking in at 5 pm. Thanks for the help guys, and I'll be definitely buying from here again!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Very helpful and friendly. They showed me the metal showing on the tire, recommended new ones, aligned the car, changed the oil, and found out the water pump needs replacing. I will go back when I have the money to replace the water pump.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Took car Saturday am and was told 1 hr. Got a call at 6pm saying ready for pickup. Was already out for the night and said we would pick up in am. 10am get there and car is on the lift. No one even touched it. How is that even possible. When my husband was voicing his frustration the guy at the desk handed me my phone and said he's having a tantrum and needs help. Who says that to a customer who left their car there overnight and nothing was even done to it? Would never give them my business or money. Rude unprofessional.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I've gone to Mavis and STS for over 10 years. The price of their tires and performance of staff has always been very good. Prices quoted and time required to do the work have always been on the money. I have sent friends and family to Mavis!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

The tire store I was using was sold to another chain. I started going to Mavis Tire when I had to get something done and they were very fair. Everything was good, so, I've switched my loyalty to them. Mavis Tire has been very good to me on their price. Their rate in town got me looking into purchasing from them and they got the job done right away. Getting their service is convenient, too. I brought my car in and when they said they could have it done, I told them I’ll pick it up the next day. I thought it was going to take the whole day but it was done in two hours. Their reps were very helpful and they took care of me, my girlfriend and my son with his car. The guys there were courteous and always willing to help. If I couldn’t pick my car up for the night, they put it in the shop so it’s not sitting out.

Also, when they did an oil change for me and they felt I waited too long, they gave it to me for free. They’re very conscientious about my time, which I think is really good. They sit in there saying they’re worth $75 an hour but they’re also saying that my time is worth something, too. And every time I've been there, even if I don’t have a coupon, they always tell me that there’s a coupon for the service that I just got done and they apply the coupon to the service.

So they have great customer service. They should also do inspections but they’re not doing New York State inspections and that opens them up to losing loyal customers because now someone’s going to go to another auto repair place to have them look at their car. And if something’s wrong with that car, then they have to get it fixed. And that other repair shop is going to steal that business away from them. I told the reps at Mavis Tire about that numerous times. I've got five cars in my family that could go to them for an inspection and where they’re located, they should get an inspection machine.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I've bought Michelin and Goodyear tires from Mavis Discount Tires and just anything to go with the tire’s rotation. I’ve also done some inspections with them and they were fast and reliable. Their items were good quality and I’m on my second car with them. I’ve been doing business with them for almost 15 years now. The tires have always met whatever they were rated for. And their reps were always helpful and very friendly. They always promise the vehicle back at a certain time and called when it was ready. They provide me with good service.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

My brother-in-law used to work in Mavis Tire and I've done my car maintenance there a couple of times now. The rep was friendly and attentive. They were fast and their quality of work was good. The services that they performed absolutely met my expectations.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

My husband told me to go to Mavis Tire for whatever needs I have with the car. We go to the one in Franklin Avenue. They have done tires, inspections and oil changes for us. So far, everything's good and we don’t have any complaints with them. One time, we didn’t realize that the inspection was overdue and my daughter had to go to school. I went there early and they did it right away for me which was cool. They were very good about it.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I like the quality and customer service of Mavis Tire. I was there for an oil change the last time and I’ll be going back in a week or two. Their sales reps have always been excellent and I recommend the company.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I've been going to Mavis Discount Tires since it was still STS. I can walk to the shop from my house and I get oil changes and general maintenance. The manager is a very nice gentleman and their sales reps were always friendly. They answer all my questions and know my name and my cars. It's been lovely with Mavis Tire.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Hi I took my Honda to Mavis tire to have my lug studs remove, the manager told Me, "Ok cool. Let me take a look and price you." He updated me in the system then told me, "It's $90 but I'll do $60." I'm like ok. He took my car for hours at the shop then come back and tell me a bunch of bs how he has to change my bearings on my 2015 Honda Accord because it damage while his worker was pressing it out, then he tells me he can get me a bearing but it will be $115. I'm like damn ok get it done I need my car, and 5 hours later close to closing he gives me my car back with abs lights, track control and tire pressure light on. I'm like wtf is this. He tells me, "I'm sorry. I won't charge you. I'm sorry for inconvenience. Bring the car next day. I will finish the job." I said ok.

Next day I took it to the dealer because I'm like, “This guy is going to kill my car.” The dealer checks it out and tells me my caliper and bearing need to be replace. Whoever I took to mess it all up and charge me $852. I was like wtf. All of this because Mavis tire couldn't change a lug stud the right way. Smh worst business to take your car...

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

Alignment tires, shocks, exhaust, wheel bearings. They do it all! We have been customers at the Dansville, NY store for more than one year. Have had all of the above done on our various vehicles. The mechanics are always paying attention and let us know how everything looks. We did work on our own vehicles for years, now with six-day work weeks, not as much time. All work has been done to our satisfaction and in a timely fashion. Kudos to this crew.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Everyone was most helpful. Work was done fast. Price was good. I would recommend them. They handled my car with great care. I was a walk in with no problem with them getting me in to repair my tire. My husband and I have gone there before and have always been pleased with the work and communication.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

The shop was neat, clean and organized. The employees were very pleasant, helpful and explained everything step by step what they were going to do. When finished they advised all was done as they stated. The gentleman who finished the transaction was polite and asked if I had any question. It was a good experience.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Excellent service for oil change and filter. They did overview of the total car and offered great suggestions. I was very comfortable with the manager who did not over sell your services. I will come back again for additional service and maintenance.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Thanks to the team at Copiague Mavis for getting my car in excellent condition for me. Great job Frank. The service and cleanliness of the work (no brake dust left on rims) just a notch above the rest. I’ll be bringing my car and recommending you to all my friends & family.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I got brakes, rotors, caliper, oil change and a gas cap from Mavis and I’ve always had good experience with them. It has been unlike any other and Jason was absolutely awesome. He knew my financial situation and he was able to help me pick the affordable service. He worked with me and he was able to help me out a lot.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I'm very happy with Mavis Tire. I purchased tires and did oil changing with them. Sam, the manager, is a good friend of my kids and mine. He's always helped me a lot. He's very good and I can trust him. The reps were also very good and honest. When I get tires put on or get inspections, it’s always been quick. So I haven’t had a problem at all. I would definitely recommend Mavis Tire.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Since Mavis Discount Tires was built in their location, I’ve been going there. Everyone from their company was friendly. They all tell me how it’s going. I’m usually never in a rush either, so I’m pretty friendly with them. The last time I’ve had service from Mavis, I got my car inspected and everything went fine. The inspection guy was out with the flu the initial day I went there. But because I didn’t need my car until the day it was finished, it was fine. I always recommend Mavis.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Mavis modded my Cooper tires on another set of rims. I do a lot of work down there and they’re all very good people to deal with. They’re honest, very efficient and they do things in a timely manner. I’ve also bought tires from them, which are of very good quality, and had them do all kinds of work on my truck. I’d definitely recommend -- and I have already -- to a lot of friends. They are very good.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Lee, the manager, is excellent. No complaints about the shop, his management skills, and flexibility with pricing. Will continue to use this shop for my car needs. Needed 4 new tires and he helped with pricing in a major way. I would highly recommend this shop to others.

Mavis Discount Tires Company Information