Find a Tires partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Yokohama Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Yokohama?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Yokohama?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I have been a rather good supporter & even promoter of Yokohama tires & the company in general, in the past - till my recent experience turned me to change my opinion. I had purchased 4 of their tires 2 years back. In less than 10k km of running, one of the tires developed a bulge. What surprised me was the total lack of response to multiple emails sent to their customer service team. Don’t think such an attitude will win them more customers; maybe they’ve just become too big to care. Overall, rather sad.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

These Yokohama tires came with my Mazda CX-5 Sport and at only 30K my front tires are bald. I will be contacting Yokohama but with all the bad reviews of them not honoring warranty what else can be done? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! After contacting Yokohama I was also told they do not warranty "early wear and tear" on a product that was on a vehicle that I purchased in 2016. WHAT!!?? I DO NOT TRAVEL and I only have 30K miles on them and the front tires are bald! DO NOT PURCHASE YOKOHAMA!!! I will be making a complaint to the Better Business Bureau!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

These tires came standard with my 2016 Mazda 3. With less than 23K miles, the treads are low to the point of being dangerous. I contacted Yokohama and their warranty covers only weather-related cracking and does not cover treadwear. I will not be purchasing another set of Yokohamas as a tire should last significantly longer than 23K. Unfortunately the company does not agree with me.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Let me start out by saying I have been a LIFELONG fan of Yokohama and have had dozens of sets of their tires over the years. I would still be a fan if my son had not been put in a life-threatening situation at highway speeds when one of Yokohama’s tires completely delaminated almost causing a major crash before he could get the vehicle safely stopped. The tire never lost pressure. The tread JUST PEELED OFF tearing the right rear side of the car up also.

The tires in question (Yokohama Avid Ascends) were purchased at Discount Tire and had a 75,000-mile warranty, and still well within the 5-year date too. These tires had just under 25,000 miles on them. 1/3 of the Warranty Yokohama gives them. Reading all of these complaints it really appears they DO NOT honor warranties. Ever.

I had the pleasure of dealing with Ann **, Administrator, Product Liability. She seemed like she genuinely wanted to make things right and proceeded to have me send pictures and answer pages of questions and send a packet to her so their “independent inspectors” could get to the bottom of what happened. Six weeks later I get an email telling me the tire was worn out and had been run with the pressure too low, for too long. They also stated that the tread depth was 1.5/32 (worn out). I wonder just how they determined this since they HAD NO TREAD TO MEASURE as it ripped completely off tearing the car up on its way out. I, however, did have a piece of tread. A piece of tread I found hung in the wheel well a few days after I sent the info to the “inspectors”.

These kinds of “professionals” really anger me. I have a compressor, electric tire pump, and many different gauges. There are 4 vehicles in my driveway right now and not one of them has low tire pressure. NOT ONE. After I received the verdict, clearly in Yokohama’s favor, I decided to let Ann know about the actual piece of tread I had in my possession. This prompted a prepaid envelope in which they would like the sample of the tread that I have. My original thought was to cut the sample in half and send it to them so I would still have proof the tread was clearly in DOT specs for safety. Then I realized they were just having me jump through hoops and the only conclusion they would come to would be the one where they, Yokohama, tells its customers “We don’t care about you and we don’t honor warranties”.

In case you haven't noticed, I AM TAKING THIS VERY PERSONAL. They could have killed my child. They didn’t and I was lucky and I’m very thankful. I’ve learned a lesson and I hope I can help someone avoid a tragedy. I am now in the process of removing the remaining Yokohama tires from my cars and they will never get another dime from me. If you love your family, DO NOT BUY YOKOHAMA TIRES. If you are buying a new car that has YOKOHAMA tires, demand that they change them before you will deal. I know I will.

Original review: July 19, 2018

The Geolander tires came with my '15 Subaru Forester. At about 4k miles, one developed a slow leak. It took the dealer 2 tries to find it (not a problem, as it was very small). The leak was a pinhole in the sidewall at mid radius. The dealer claimed it was from hitting a curb and tried to say there was a scuff mark on the sidewall. This was so they could claim road hazard and turn it in under a dealer policy. After a discussion with the manager, I determined the real reason was Yokohama will not honor warranties. They had turned in a set of 4 with Yokohama's approval and were not getting reimbursed for the tires. I called Yokohama America "customer service" and was told they would do nothing. I told them of the dealer’s problem and they said to have them call.

The actual tires now have about 63k miles on them. One has more wear on the edges than the other 3. They have run pretty well since the initial issue. Due to their not standing behind their product, I will NEVER own Yokohama tires again. They could have the best tire on the market (which I don't believe they do) and I still don't want them because they will not fix any simple issues. Had they simply replaced the tire, I likely would have rated this a 4. Yokohama tires will be a deal breaker when buying a new car if the dealer won’t change them.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I purchased a new Subaru, that came with Yokohama tires (2016). I now have 38,000 miles on the car. All Subarus have all wheel drive, and the tires have performed well under all conditions. Tires were rotated every 6,000 miles.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Perhaps now is not the best time to say something because it was just a few hrs ago that my Yokohama tire delamination but I am not impressed. Sure the tire was several yrs old and may have had 40,000 or so km but the tread was good and air pressure was fine (around 35 psi). I was driving my HJ60 (older Toyota Land Cruiser) back from Orleans Ontario into Ottawa and was 5 minutes out of Orleans when I felt a shake (100 km/hr) - so started to slow down (75 km /hr) thinking I was going to get off at the next exit (Blair road) and have a look see. At which point the complete tire delamination and I had to use all my skill to hang on and get her out off of the 4 lane highway. Rather nerve racking. I have never had a tire completely delaminate. Before this I would have said Yokohama are good to great tires. Now I am not sure, Certainly then I have no recourse with the company due to age but still how dangerous are these tires.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I never imagined having to do this sort of thing, but Yokohama Tire did not treat me with respect or solved my problem, so I felt compelled to alert everyone. My Yokohama tire broke out for no apparent reason, since there was no object on the track (I checked after the event to make sure). The place where the tire burst and the way it was, all indicate that it was due to a tire manufacturing problem. In contact with Yokohama, she refused to look at the tire and simply told me that there was nothing they could do. In contact through Facebook, I found myself in the customer service, which ignores my messages, just as it is now through Facebook as well. I would like to alert everyone, NEVER buy this brand that has no respect for your customers! I've worked with tires and I know Pirelli would never treat its customers that way. That's how we see who truly respects your customers!

Original review: April 6, 2018

We purchased Yokohama tires for my spouse's Volvo last June through Discount Tires. Yokohama advertised a rebate and issued us a gift card within about 6 weeks of the purchase. The problem is the gift card expired 12/17. For each month over the expiration date, they charge a fee to the account. This was never disclosed in the advertisement. I have also been told that the card does not comply with state gift card consumer protection laws. So, because it does not comply, I am filed reports with the BBB of Santa Ana, the FTC, and the California attorney general.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

The tires and roadside assist were actually acceptable. I did need to replace one tire and the knockdown for "depreciation" was only $15 to get a new tire. The problem is the $50 rebate card which arrived 30 days into the cycle and then was rejected by every vendor everywhere. So it sat in the bottom of my purse. Clearly printed funds never expire but fees apply. Those fees are $3 a month until the card is gone. That is unacceptable. Customer service put me on hold or returned me to the never ending automated system for suggestions about how to use the card. I just want my cash.

Yokohama Company Information