Michelin Tires
1.89/5
  • 1 star
Based on 39 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Michelin Tires

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 15, 2018

426 Michelin Tires Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I purchased a set of Michelin Premier tires about 2 and a half years and 30,000 miles ago. In my experience they have been nothing but pure garbage. I have had flats in 3 of the 4 tires and in one tire it went flat twice. I understand that all tires can get flats so I won't be too critical on this point. The guy at the discount tire after my third flat told me due to the type of material used that these tires are more susceptible to picking up nails and debris that can cause flats. Over this past summer I let the car sit on a hot driveway for about a week. When I went to drive the car again I noticed that the two front tires had huge bulges on the sidewalls. I took the car back to discount and was told that somehow the tire inner liner was damaged causing the tires to bulge out.

I was told that this was NOT a material defect rather caused from either something hitting the tire really hard or extreme heat. I was able to get the tires replaced at a prorated price. The remaining tires on the vehicle are now cracking and leaking badly. They have approx half the tread life left but since the rubber is in such poor shape I will have to get these replaced before the useful tread life. In contrast on my other car I have a set of Nexen tires and have had none of these problems. I would save your money and opt for a financially cheaper tire with better performance. The Michelin tires are overpriced overrated junk.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

These tires (Michelin PRIMACY MXV4) came standard on my 2015 Honda Pilot. I have approximately 37,000 on my vehicle and I already need to replace the tires. I even have my tires rotated ever 5,000 miles - what a waste, in addition it vibrated not a smooth ride. Michelin has a warranty but only give you 41% off a tire that should still be good if it did its job and last 60K.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I bought a brand new Toyota Corolla 2016 in 2016. I thought, "Wow. I have great tires and they should last me a while." They are Michelin All Seasons that are apparently discounted. When I took my car to get a tire change because a nail on the sidewall they told me my tires were almost on the red at 22,000 miles!!! Flash forward to 4 months later I have 29,000 and they are way on red! I'm scared to even drive! It's not even worth calling customer service! Now I have to buy brand new tires for a 1 1/2 year old car. I will never buy Michelin again. The tires at 150-170 a tire and they don't last at all!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I purchased a set of Michelin Defender tires in 2-2015. I made sure all four tires had the same DOT numbers. I have kept my car in alignment, always check the air pressure regularly, rotate them on regular basis... I do 99% highway (interstate) driving with these tires... They were stated as "90,000" mile tires. WHAT A JOKE!!! I have 40,080 miles and the tread is down to 3/32!!! In my opinion, Michelin should be brought up on fraud charges! I understand it is "limited warranty... Up to 90,000 miles..." but to get less than half the miles! There is ABSOLUTELY no way anyone could get even close to their stated "90,000" miles on these tires!!! In reading some of the reviews, I saw a gentleman from Santa Fe, stated the same issue... He only got 40,000 miles on his Defender tires out of the stated 90,000 mile warranty. Michelin tires are very overpriced and obviously not worth the cost!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Bought a set of Michelin tires in 2015 (55,000 mile warranty). Less than 2 years and 18,000 miles, tires need replacing - chunks of rubber breaking off. Called customer service. They advised taking to local dealer for inspection. They said it was cosmetic only and the tires were safe and this was common with Michelin tires. I am not so sure they are safe. This shouldn’t happen to a $212 tire that is supposed to be high quality, offered to give me $20.00 off each tire if I bought a set of new ones! Will not buy Michelin tires again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Michelin?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I'd like to start this by saying that I've been in the tire industry as a sales man, technician, and supervisor for approximately five years. Currently I am a supervisor in the tire industry. The majority of the tires I sell are Michelin. I have even been to their headquarters in Greenville for training and I have spent time on their track testing out various tires. I have first hand experience with how good their tires. I also have experience dealing with Michelin with unsatisfied customers.

I've been on the phone for with Michelin on these customer's behalf and I have helped make these customers happy by getting them what they were due, which is usually a mileage warranty. My place of employment only honors mileage warranties on tires that they sell. Unfortunately the Michelin tires on my vehicle were not purchased there. For obvious reasons, mostly the fact that I work there and the logistics of getting service, I wanted to purchase my tires from my employer.

However the current Michelin tires I had only got half the miles they were warranted for and I had to go to a different tire place to get my warranty. Now, for tires purchased at my employer, giving out a Michelin warranty takes less than 10 minutes. We measure the treads, we look at rotation history, we then put it in the computer, and it prints out a barcode that we scan to give back money. It's simple percentages. If you get half the miles the tires are warrantied for you get half the money you spent on the tires back. If you got 30% of the tires you get back 70%. So on and so forth. You can then do what you want with that money. You can buy new tires or you can walk away.

It's a great system and it keeps everyone happy. My employer keeps customers and they get that money from Michelin once the tires are stickered and sent in. Now my issue was that they couldn't warranty my tires because I didn't buy them there. Decisions were made at the corporate levels at Michelin and my employer that set up that rule. So I called Michelin. It was an easy phone call. I was told to take my tires in to an authorized service center and a list was located on their website. My tires were then going to get measured, Michelin was going to be contacted, and then a check was going to be cut with my mileage warranty once I purchased new tires.

The first authorized dealer I went to did not want anything to do with it at that time. They simply told me they were too busy to look at my tires and told me to come back some other time, preferably during the early morning hours. Unfortunately I work during those times and I already drove there and wasted time doing that. I then decided to go to the place I bought my tires. I told them all they had to do was measure my tires and call Michelin to report the tread and the miles on my odometer. That went smoothly enough. The Michelin rep on the phone asked the tire person when I bought my tires, how much I paid for them, the DOT number of the tires, the miles at installation, and the current miles. I was then given a dollar amount of how much I was getting back and a percentage amount that I did not get out of my tires. I thanked the tire person and I left.

I then went and bought my tires from my employer and I sent over my receipt. This is when the issues started happening. A few days later I received a phone call telling me that my check was on the way and telling me how much it was. The amount of the check was lower, by approximately $50, than the original check I was promised. $50 dollars isn't a lot, but for me it's the principle of the matter. This is a company I have supported with my own money and a company whose products, thousands of products, I have sold through the years partially based on their warranty, I felt betrayed.

I contacted Michelin and I asked them about the discrepancy. They then told me that they were giving me a percentage based on the price of my new tires. This did not make any sense to me. The new tires are not the tires whose warranty failed. The old tires were. The old tires were also more expensive than the new tires I bought, so I was receiving less money. I was never told that I will be receiving money based on the new tire cost. I was told exactly how much I will be receiving based on how much I paid for the tires that did not get the miles they were warrantied to. This was all communicated to me through the tire dealer that examined my tires and contacted Michelin.

So I call Michelin back and I ask them about the discrepancy. They have no answers and they keep repeating that the new tire price is what is used to calculate the warranty. I then tell them that I was told something different and I give them the time the phone call was placed. All phone calls to Michelin are recorded and you are told so when you call them. I tell them to go over the phone call and to listen to the Michelin rep. say that amount. The person I was talking to said she could not do that and that her supervisor can and said she will transfer me.

She did not transfer me, but rather hung up on me. I call back. I get another person who seemed to know what I just got hung up on, and said their phone system is having issues. Funny how it never had any issues until I asked to talk to a supervisor. I was then told that the supervisor is busy and that he will contact me shortly. I've been waiting to hear from a supervisor for over a day. At this point I'm upset as a customer and I'm also upset as someone that has sold their product for years and as someone who will be selling their product for years. Now I can't honestly recommend Michelin tires without hesitation based on how I'm being treated by Michelin.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Stock tires on my 2014 Corvette are almost goners at 8,200 miles. These tires have 30,000.00 warranty and as you can see are nowhere close to that. I had a previous experience with my 2005 Corvette and switched to Goodyear on that car. Run flats have fewer options, last time I looked. I couldnt believe these tires on the 2014 were worn at 8200 miles and just replaced with same tires without even thinking about the past 2005 situation.

I do not drive fast or race the car. I treat it very gentle! A week later I am remembering the 2005 tires wearing out early. I think those wore out around 15,000 miles but they were highway miles versus this time were it's more city driving. I can not believe they get away without providing a warranty just because the front and back tires are 2 different sizes. Sounds like car manufacturers are in bed with tire makers to me... Total BS IMO!!! I definitely will never buy another Michelin Pilot Sport Tires again and this time I wont FORGET!!!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Michelin Latitude HP 275/60r/20 - This is the highest priced tire they make for my luxury SUV. These tires need replacing at 28,000 miles. This is no joke. A Tire rated 90k. I complained. They acted like they were going to satisfy me as a customer. These tires came with my new car. They expected me to repurchase these tires at $1,400 plus tax. When is someone going to put a stop to Corp. screwing the public. Corruption will be the end of this nation. TRUST no more.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I even think it is fraud to advertise that they warranty that these tires will last 60,000 when the truth is that they last only 30,000 miles. I would understand if they last 55,000 miles that the way you drive can affect the life of the tire but NOT 30,000 MILES (half of what they should last). I paid almost $600 and thought it was worthy since they warranty they were going to last 60,000 miles. They worn out around 30,000 miles and they want me to buy a new set with a credit of only $120. They must be kidding, I would be like paying over $1000 for the 60,000 miles if I do that. Who would buy the same bad quality. The fame of Michelin is based on the marketing not on real quality.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

No complaints on handling traction and all that but 90000 miles is a joke. You pay top dollar for what you think is a good quality tire. Only got 40000 with all the rotations alignment etc. Do not buy the Defender, spend less money on another reputable brand. Shame on you Michelin.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I've been buying Michelin tires for over 30 years. Had a set on a 66 Chrysler for over 20 years and tires were still good. Bought a new set of LTX M/S 2 for 963.00 for my Dodge Ram 2500 in 2010. After about a year I noticed the sidewalls were cracking. Called the dealer and he said they were safe and it is just cosmetic. So I kept driving on them for the next 40,000 miles until a few days ago Oct 2017. Had a flat and took it to Costco to check out and they said they were rotten and would not repair them and that they were unsafe.

I then found out where the tire was leaking, out of a side wall crack. So it was not just cosmetic and I have been driving on unsafe tires all these years. Called Michelin and they said not to drive them if leaking out of sidewall, and the 6-year warranty has run out, and they will do nothing about selling a defective set of tires. If the side walls are leaking air that means the rotten rubber goes all the way through the tire. So I am no longer buying tires from such a corrupt company, who allowed me to drive on unsafe tires.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I have a 2014 Jayco RV on a 2013 E-450 Ford chassis with Michelin LTX M/S tires, LT225/75R16, DOT B3JH009X with a tire manufactured date of 2113 or the 21st week of 2013. In July 2017 with only 17,000 miles on the odometer, I encountered thread separation on my right front tire. In September 2017, still with only 17,000 miles on the odometer, I encountered thread separation on my left rear outer dual tire. These are 70,000 mile warranty tires. In both cases, the local Michelin representative, Discount Tire, charged me for thread wear, an environmental fee, tire balancing and new valve stems for the replacement tires.

These tire failures cause significant amounts of inconvenience and time to get identified and replaced. Thread separations are very dangerous failures that could lead to blow outs and cause accidents. One case of thread separation out of six tires is bad but two cases of thread separation out of six tires is a big red flag. Upon my complaints to Michelin, their response was "in both cases you were charged for the thread wear on your tires." Not satisfied with this outcome, I feel that Michelin should stand behind their tires and provide free replacements or consider a recall of these tires.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I've been buying Michelin for over 25 years. No More! Purchased a set of Latitude tires for my Lexus in January 2017 for $600 installed. Michelin rate these tires at 55,000 mile. Now, with a little over 12,000 miles they are 80% worn and need to be replaced. The car is well maintained with regular tire rotation. I contacted Michelin for help under their warranty. They sent me to a local tire shop that told me the tires needed to be replaced. They tried to sell me off brand tires because THEY DO NOT CARRY MICHELIN TIRES! It seems Michelin has no intention of honoring it mileage warranty. It is bad business to rate a tire at 55,000 mile when, in reality it will only last 15,000 mile. Shame on Michelin!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I own a 2008 Toyota Solara... with 23000 miles on it. I have the original tires and I have been told by two different tire shops that they are worn out and need to be replaced before winter. I work out of my house and literally drive maybe 2-3 days a week to do errands. I do not know much about cars but I do know my tires should last longer than this. Do I have any recourse?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I own a 2014 Lexus, with 30,000 miles on the vehicle. The original tires are Michelin, Latitude model, and I just noticed that all four have cracks in the sidewalls. Also, the tread is showing more wear than they should for 30,000 miles. I would have thought that I should get 60,000 on Michelins. Very disappointed in what I thought was a premium tire!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I had these tires on ONE DAY! Drove to work and on the way home on the highway the tire (Michelin Pilot sport 235 45r18) blew!!! Could have killed me. Lucky it was nighttime and not many cars on the road. The whole sidewall separated from the tread. I never want the brand of tire again!!!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

It is obvious the ratings on this site are inflated by paid trolls. Observe the 5 star reviews which occur every single day in January and end in February. Observe the sparsity of reviews before and after those reviews. Obviously someone has been paid to do those positive reviews. Here is my experience. Purchased Michelin Defenders with limited 90,000 mile warranty. At best I got 25,000 miles before I now have to replace them. I say at best as during the period I bought them I also rotated them off my car to use winter tires.

I have been told by my trusted car shop that 30,000 miles has been their recent experience on Michelin tire wear and other customers who tried to contact Michelin on warranty have been put through a wringer on required documentation and have not been able to collect anything. To be fair, I have not tried to contact Michelin so I can not personally vouch for that experience. I can, however, vouch for the horrible tread wear versus stated claims. My solution is to never to buy a Michelin product again.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

As one of the big companies that constantly promote themselves being the best, this wasn't the experience. I bought a car in 2014 with Michelin Destiny Tires on them. By the next year, I started to notice cracking around the shoulders. Tires weren't even 4 years old, and had most of their tread. Michelin did nothing, and just gave a runaround. Fast forward to today and this is how they look like.

Original review: July 28, 2017

As most consumers, I reviewed Consumer Reports prior to making large purchases. In early May 2015, I needed to purchase tires for my 2010 Ford F150 XLT 2x4 truck. The original tires were worn out at 41,000 miles. The "best" replacement tire recommended by Consumer Reports was the Michelin Latitude Tour Radial tire - 265/60R18 109T. I purchased 4 and had them installed at a local tire shop; I also had 1 4-wheel alignment done at the same time. For warranty purposes, I registered them with Michelin. I purchased my truck new from the local Ford dealer and have it serviced there exclusively. Never wrecked or damaged, and each full service oil change (5k mile intervals) includes tire rotation. I've had the tires (4) re-balanced twice due to vibrations from the rear tires.

When it happened again (now 27k miles from new), I noticed both left side tires were "feathered" on the outer edge and starting to "cup". Local tire store says that Michelin warranty is "virtually useless" and their tires are nowhere near as good as they used to be. He highly recommends continuing to drive them until they wear out; then purchase a different manufacturer's tires. I will never again purchase Michelin tires!!!

Original review: May 16, 2017

These Michelin Green X Energy Saver A/S P225/50 R17 tires are the most slippery tires I have ever owned by far. My tires will most times spin when I enter a roadway, regardless of my speed. I was on an upward slope at a stop sign the other day and they spun for quite a few seconds before gaining enough traction to proceed - and this was a dry paved road! I am very concerned that when I must stop suddenly on a wet road, that I won't be able to stop in time. These tires came with the vehicle when I purchased it used from Folsom Ford.

Original review: April 24, 2017

We own a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. Seven years ago we purchased a set of Michelin 235R 17 tires from Sears. The set lasted 98,000 miles and still had good tread on them but we're starting to crack due to age. Can't complain about that. They were great tires.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

Purchased a brand new Nissan Rouge. Came with Michelin tires. Two separated at the tread. Emailed Michelin and was told to go to Tire Kingdom. Tire Kingdom said, "You must have hit something." I know I did not hit anything. I will not accept a high school kid telling me I hit something. So when I emailed Michelin and asked what better way they warranty their tires other than the opinion of a kid working at Tire Kingdom, I have received no response from Michelin in two months. P.S. Tire Kingdom has bought me 4 new wheels because they scratched them when I purchased 4 new tires on another car. This is the professionalism you get from Tire Kingdom recommended by Michelin. And the worst customer support from Michelin. These tires should be on a recall list before they kill someone.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

I purchased 4 new Michelin tires in August 2016 from Tire Barn Warehouse in Johnson City, Tennessee, 423-283-9189. The air pressure light has come on 5 times and each time I take it back for correction I am told it is account of cold weather. I have used Michelin for over 40 years and have never heard this. The car is a 2015 Mazda 5. Is Michelin making a less than quality tire? I didn't pay a low price. The light goes off for about 2 weeks and then comes back on. Can you help? I am a loyal customer.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

The tires on my Corvette have excellent adhesion and wear is good. Michelin's warranty could be improved... only covers 4 tire purchase if all tires are the same. My car has larger tires in the rear, but never had a warrantied situation arrive.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

Replaced Firestones that aquaplaned and never felt stable during rough weather. The Michelins grip the road during heavy rain and winter weather, making the tire easier to handle and feeling more secure.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I use these tires on my Superduty Fords, my 3 axle equip trailer, my dump trailer and my wife's car. I do not overload my equipment so I do not have to worry about overloaded tires. I also do not have to worry about most traction snow/mud conditions. I do not have weak and wobbly side walls giving me any instability. I get very good tread life so the tires are worth the money. I have used Michelin for years with minimal problems and no blowout or failure problems.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

Michelin was the first radial tire available. The rest of the industry were slow to learn, and I do not believe they ever caught up. I have owned other brands of tires and worked in a Bridgestone tire mfg plant, so I know tires. Michelin are the best quality retail tires available.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

I've always choose Michelin Tires, even though they are more expensive they are the best. One gets what one pays for.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

I have always used Michelin tires on my automobiles. I highly recommend these tires. At first, one will be shocked at the price of the tires, but they are well worth the monies one invests. To know that no matter what the road condition, that these tires will by far outperform most tires that are being used for your car, it is worth it in the long run. The guarantee is (I believe) 80000 miles, but I have always surpassed those miles. I have driven in numerous weather conditions and these tires have ALWAYS surpassed any other tire.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I have owned B. F. Goodrich, Yokohama, General, Dunlop, and many other brands, but Michelin have outperformed all other brands in all categories. Yokohama tires were sold defective and caused an accident when the tires were on 6 weeks! They did not accept responsibility for the vehicle damage. Michelin lasted longer than expected. I do take care of my tires and have them rotated and balanced, and I make sure the tires are aligned.

Michelin expert review by Lauren Fix

Michelin is a global company that produces tires in nearly every category. Michelin operates several tire plants in the United States and has been in the tire business for over 100 years.

• Beyond cars and trucks: Michelin offers a full range of tires, including bicycle, motorcycle, agriculture and commercial tires.

• Availability: Michelin tires are available through major tire retailers as well as through stores such as BJ’s, Sam's and Costco.

• Michelin Promise Plan: For light truck and passenger tires, Michelin offers a comprehensive satisfaction plan. It includes a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, 3-year flat tire changing assistance and a limited mileage warranty.

• Find My Tires Tool: Michelin's search tool is easy to use and comprehensive, allowing search by vehicle, tire size, tire name or tire category.

• Michelin Travel: Michelin has long been known for its comprehensive and global travel guides.

• Best for: Sports car and high-end vehicle drivers, extreme performance, touring, winter, run-flats, light truck and SUV drivers and passenger vehicle drivers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Michelin Tires Company Information

www.michelinman.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use