Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

371 Big O Tires Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I have Big O Tires brand on my car and it’s due for a tire rotation so I bring my car up to the Outer loop store @195 Outer Loop Louisville, KY 40214 for tire rotation service. The service rep. say it will be a 90 min. wait so I said I will leave the car and come back in 2hrs. So 90 min. later the service rep. called me and says that they cannot rotate my tires because the tread of the tires is down to the wear indicator and tell me I need new tires so I told him no not at this time and I will be up to get the car. So when I get back to the store I have a look at the tires and the tread is not down to the wear indicators! There is at least 3/32" to 1/8th tread before it gets to the wear indicators.

I went in to the store and confronted the Rep. and told him to show me what he was talking about so we went out to look at the tires and I told him, “You can plainly see that the tread is not down to the wear indicators on the tires.” I told him there is at least 8 to 10 thousand miles left on these tires. I ended up not getting my tires rotated because of service reps. not being honest and trying to sell me tires. I don't yet need swindlers' incompetent service reps. is what I would call it. What a waste of my time. I should charge them for it.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Schedules tire change with specific OEM tires and was confirmed. When I called the morning of the appointment to make sure they had the tires, they told me they did not have those in stock. Sorry. Why have an appointment system that prices specific tires.

Get expert buying tips about Tires delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

One of my tires had a slow leak due to a nail so I took it to Big O in Boulder to get it patched. They told me it was in a location that wouldn't hold a patch and the tire was a goner. Furthermore I would need to buy 4 new tires. The car was brand new with 4K miles on it, same goes for the tires. I got a second opinion: the Subaru dealer patched it for free and it has held up for 6 months so far. What a surprise.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Went to Big O Tires in San Jose to get a camber adjustment. This is a very simple job that I normally do myself on my car, but have my hand in a cast and can't use tools. The salesman said it would be a 2 hr. Job and would cost $330.00. WHAT? I am not going to pay that much for a $14/hr "technician" to turn 8 bolts on top of struts and adjust my wheels! I went home and paid my neighbor's son $40 to follow my instructions. Got job done in 15 minutes. In short, they rip off unknowing customers.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Shannon had locked in a deal for me for a set of tires. On his day off, the tires were sold. I came into the store for my appointment, Shannon advised what had happened but got me an even better deal. Shannon is honest, dependable and cares about taking care of his customers. I will be going to Big O in Jeffersontown on Taylorsville Road for future tires, brakes and oil changes because of Shannon's customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Big O Tires?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Shannon ** went out of his way to help me get the best deal on 4 Goodyear Wrangler Tires, and saved me $$$, was very helpful, answered all my questions, very polite, got me in and out very fast. Made me feel more like a family, friend. Not like a customer. Shannon ** was easy to talk to. You can tell he likes his job, by the way he gets along with his coworkers... I am sold on Big O service. Keep up the good work. I have told all my friends and family to go to Big O Tires in Jeffersontown KY and ask for Shannon **. He is one of a kind.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I had my car towed to Big O Tires in April where I purchased two brand new front tires to the tune of $300. They kept me there for 3 to 4 hours and had a few minutes before 7 o’clock when they were closing they rushed me out the door. Six months and less than 4000 miles later I have two totally worn out tires that the Steelers coming through on the center where I was told to bring it down and I would be taken care of and when I arrive 25 minutes from my home I am now being told it is due to an alignment issue that I refuse to address when I had the tires put on initially from them when I purchased them.

Clearly on the receipt which I hold in my hand the only thing I refuse was an extended tire warranty which I have never been his head from in my lifetime and they refuse to show me the paperwork that they say I obviously declined to have an alignment for $10 each tire which is nonsense. So being 25 miles from my home I was forced to purchase two more tires from Big O Tires and I will be contacting corporate to report the dealership on Pecos Road in Henderson/Las Vegas Nevada where I was not only treated poorly but robbed blind. This isn’t over.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I had a flat tire while traveling home from a meeting in Cheyenne WY. I went to Big O Tires on Yellowstone Ave in Cheyenne WY at 5:15 PM and was back on the road with two new tires by 6:00 PM. Cory was my salesman and he made me feel better and got this done for me. He was awesome to work with. I highly recommend Big O Tires to anyone looking to purchase tires and if in Cheyenne Wyoming ask for Cory. He will set you up!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Stephen ** at the front desk helped me like he was my best friend, yet he didn't know me. I needed new brake pads, rotors, 4 tires & a few more repairs done but I only had a certain amount budgeted for today, which wasn't enough. Stephen kindly offered to help me fill out 2 different credit apps to see if I qualified so I could have everything done today? Sadly I didn't qualify so Stephen went even further & asked the mechanic in the back if there was anything he could do to lower the price? He came back & said they're able to resurface 1 rotor which saved me a lot of money. I was going to walk to my bank to withdraw the money needed since my car was already up on the lift. My bank's only 5 blocks away, but Stephen said, "No, I can take you in the company truck really fast." So kind & helpful! I will be bringing my car back for any & all services needed in the future. Thanks so much.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I should have learned my lesson a few years ago, but I guess I didn't. I sent my daughter to Big O Tires on Rock Springs in Las Vegas, NV. When my daughter got home she saw that the right rear hub csp was missing. They told her that 2 of the clips were no good, so what did they do, put the hub cap back on and told me that it probably fell off when she was driving. I asked why did you even put it back on in the first place knowing that 2 clips were no good. Couldn't get a straight answer from the manager who was Michael ** and they charged her for Tire Protections $44.72. She did not request that and was not asked if she wanted it.

This happened to me a few years ago. I contacted the corporate office and got a refund. I contacted Big O Tires at Rock Springs and was told to call the corporate office. I have been calling the corporate office since 10/10/18 and leaving message after message for someone to call me so this $44.72 can get credited to my credit card. I guess they leave me no choice but to contact my credit card company to have this charge reversed. I even left a message stating that "this is the corporate office and why is there a recording?" Someone should be answering the phone.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I had all 4 tires replaced from former NTB at the Arden Hills location in July 2017. I have 15000 miles on them with one tire rotation. I came for a simple rotation and oil change. They did not have a filter. They are telling me that the front tires are bad due to infrequent rotations. He also wanted to tell me issues with my rack and pinion. He kept trying to sell me 2 tires and said they are not under warranty. He also wanted to charge for the unlimited tire rotation I have. After 2 hours of nothing getting done, I told them to put the old oil filter back in and get my car out of the garage. He wanted to charge me for the oil with a dirty filter. The next day I see a poodle near the driver side wheel. And where I park my car at night has no spots. It looks like a boot of some sort was cut and is now leaking. They are crooks. Horrible experience. Never go to Big O Tires. I'm guessing they'll be gone in a year or two.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Had 4 new tires put on my truck today. Driver front had no valve cap on, driver rear had a green cap, passenger side front and rear had black valve caps?? Ok Driver side did not get new valve stems, yet the passenger side did, OK Driver side front had 49 lbs. Driver side rear had 70 lbs. along with the passenger side front and rear 70 LBS. WHAT THE **??? That much air in a tire on wet roads is going to get people killed, NO ** IDEA.

Resolution response: Aug. 29, 2018

After waiting for them to repair my spare tire jack extractor I finally got it in and they also changed my oil and filter at no charge. Gotta give credit when it's due. Thank you Big O Tires. I was getting upset driving in 108 temps without my spare tire. Special thanks to Wil at Tempe Big O Tires.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

They said it's a defective product and would make repair at no charge. I'm still waiting after 2 months. I call and get told same thing. It's on back order. I'm driving without a spare because of them and don't see why they don't make it right.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

My son went to the Big O Tires store in Savage, Minnesota. They asked what can of oil and he said what ever the manual says. The manual said 5-30 weight (not synthetic). They put synthetic in and charge him $72.00 vs $34. They saw a young man and took advantage of him. Stay away from Big O Tires. They will rip you off.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I started only purchasing tires and then was informed that they do oil changes and other services. I thought I had built a trusted relationship over the years and then when they performed ** work after spending $1800.00 they attempted fix it and after being unsuccessful they denied there was a problem even though the car was hardly drivable and I provided proof from 2 other mechanics. I filed a complaint and was unsuccessful so I had to purchase another car immediately needing transportation to my new job. Here is over a year later and I am still pissed about how nice and accommodated they were up until you have an issue that they created and then they are rude and no longer accommodating. DON'T BE FOOLED by your first good experiences cause they will screw you in the end. Trust Me!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

These tires are not 10 ply, if even 5 ply. The sidewalls are so thin, just bumping up against a curb will destroy the tire. No wonder they give "buy three get one free", and other discounts.... including free road hazard. They know sidewalls won't be covered. If they advertise a name brand, they always try to save you money trying to sell you their Big-O junk!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Big O Tires Sucks! 60,000 mile tire went bad after 6,000 - I was driving on the highway when I heard a weird popping noise, my tire went flat in seconds. I pulled over immediately and had roadside change it for me. I took it back to Big O and they replaced it, then told me it would be nearly $100. They said I ruined the tire by driving on it flat. The tire has no external evidence of anything that would cause it to go flat, no holes or anything. I don't understand. Then, they told me that a lug nut was stripped and for me to drive to an auto parts store with 3 lug nuts instead of 4, buy a lug nut, drive back 3 miles and they would put it on. I put it on myself. I will NEVER deal with them again!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have been taking my vehicles to Big O Tires in Shepherdsville, KY since the 1990's. My husband has also taken vehicles since the late 80's. My in-laws also use Big O Tires. All the employees have treated me courteously and timely. William ** and his wife Dawn stand out above all others. They are dedicated employees who really care that customers have a good experience. They have been there to assist me in emergencies as well as scheduled visits. They have helped me purchase tires that will not only look good, but tires that are the best for the least amount of money.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Brought my smart car with less than 17,000 miles to Big O Tires Redding Ca for a basic oil change. Never any issues with the TPMS indicator on my tires until after the oil change was completed. Three weeks ago I had Firestone replace my brake pads and that is the only work I have had done on this car and they removed the rim and there was no damage at that time. I called Big O after low tire warning on the drive home immediately after the oil change and they said to bring it back so I did. They just reset the TPMS indicator light and said it was fixed and said they did rotate the tires and balance them free of charge on my first visit and they must have forgot to reset it.

I drove away and the light came on again and now my rear tire is losing air. I inspected the rim and noticed it’s bent and I also found out that they were not supposed to rotate the tires on my car as it states on the door panel as the front and rear are different sizes. I brought it back again and they said it’s not their responsibility and did nothing. I informed them that by rotating my tires they caused other damage on my suspension and they asked me to leave.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I went to a Big O franchise in June of 2017 with overheating. I spent 1723.00 that day to have all new belts and an alternator installed. I am a single grandmother on my own, to boot! The car was way too noisy, and still overheating, and so in July of 2017 I took it back and said they did something wrong (well within their 90 day guarantee of work performed!). They said their work was fine but of course I needed then a new radiator. Another 600+ dollars! But said the belts, etc. were fine. Well - since then my belts have just been coming off! I had another mechanic replace the main belt, and he said that the alternator was installed incorrectly, and because it was I would need a new one. He said to contact Big O. I did - all the way to their corporate office! They don't care to stand by their word! And obviously don't mind doing wrong to a single grandmother, either! That's pretty bad. Look out.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Best customer service experience I have had in a long. I am so happy and relieved I came to Big O Tires. They fixed my car quickly, and informed me on what was going on and what needed to be done in a way I could understand. Big O Tires went far beyond my expectations. I highly recommend taking your car here, you will not be disappointed.

Original review: July 4, 2018

If you live in Kansas City, do not try any of the stores here! I wasted over 6 hours trying to get my truck tires rotated and balanced and an alignment. (NTB installed them before Big O took over). I made an appointment at the Englewood store and the manager there told me they could not align because they were real busy and only had one rack, #30 min. later a mech. told me he could do the alignment but not the rotate and balance because they only had 1 rack for trucks and were too busy. 2 hours later they told me that the alignment machine would not read my truck. 2 1/2 hours wasted!!!

Made an appointment at the Skyview store and the manager there told me they were already running an hour behind and it would take over 2 hours to balance my tires which is all I needed at that point as I rotated them myself because they were wearing down in the front. I then went to the Liberty store and the manager there told me he would take care of me, but after 2 hours of waiting he told me he couldn't balance my tires because he would have to put weights all the way around the wheel. Man I think they better stick to batteries instead of tires!!!

Original review: July 2, 2018

In late December 2017 I took my vehicle to Big O Tires for new tires and an alignment. Shortly thereafter (next day) my right rear axle seal developed a severe leak. I took it back to them but once the vehicle was on the lift it was evident that the leak had developed prior to my visit, it was just coincidence that it became severe immediately following them doing the tires. I am an automotive technician myself and am fully capable of the repair myself. However it was a week before Christmas and I had family coming in 2 days. I did not have the time to do the work myself and I needed my vehicle operational, so I had little choice but to pay them to do it.

The work was performed, and about 2 weeks went by and after my family left town, I noticed my axle seal was leaking... again. So I took it back and they told me that it was leaking because the axle was scored and needed to be replaced but that I had chosen not to replace it. I told the guy at the counter that nobody had ever contacted me regarding the axle needing to be replaced and I have the paperwork from them that proves that. Furthermore, I asked to see THEIR copy of the work order which I quickly took a picture of as it too proved that nobody contacted me about the axle.

I received a call from the store owner the next morning who was very nice and said he would take care of everything but that he had to source a used axle and that would take about a week to get, which I was ok with. I got my vehicle back and everything was fine for about 3 months, then I began hearing a rattle noise from my rear suspension. Upon further investigation, I found that my parking brakes (which was also done as it was damaged by the axle seal leak) were assembled completely wrong. One side wasn't even attached (the rattling) and the other side was pieced together wrong and was jammed and engaged.

Furthermore, it was evident that the person that performed the work was aware of the parking brake malfunction that he caused, because his remedy was to fully loosen the adjustment on the un-jammed side (which is why it became unattached later on) and also the cable adjustment was literally hanging on by 1 thread. The parking brake left their facility teetering on the edge of complete failure and the guy that did the work not only knew it, but was the one who put it together wrong to begin with!!! I contacted the store owner and again he was very nice and offered a refund for the failed work because I stated that I felt the work from his store was not something I could trust. A refund was issued and I went on my way.

Now another 3 months have passed and now my tires are wearing uneven (vehicle needs alignment). The vehicle is a second vehicle and has only had about 4k miles put on it in the last 7 months, since the alignment was done. So Big O Tires has failed for the last time. I have been buying tires from that store for nearly 20 years but I will NEVER go back there again. With a 100% failure rate of MULTIPLE jobs performed... it's obvious they employ incompetent mechanics.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I went to the Big O Tires in Cottage Grove, MN. I needed 4 tires, so I thought it would be simple. Wrong. I get a phone call asking me to come back. Suddenly I need brakes and a new TPMS, as apparently one broke. I agree to the TPMS as I cannot prove when it broke. I deny brakes, and leave with my tires. This was on Saturday the 23rd of June. Monday I take my car to the dealership for an oil change. Miraculously my brakes are just fine and have 70% life left. I was also informed that there was no way my TPMS broke unless my tire went completely flat, which it never did. The spare was on before that. I feel completely and totally scammed. I know calling will do no good, however I will never do business with them again.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Big O customer for 40 years. Had THREE sets that lasted half as long as "warranty." Got a decent discount off a replacement on the first set. Made the mistake of thinking it was a "fluke." Put tires on two cars six months apart. Despite regular rotating/appropriate maintenance but sets also lasted half as long as "warranty." Owner of store in Greeley, CO offered the same sale they were offering to everyone else & would do nothing else. Forty years of loyalty ended!

Original review: June 23, 2018

These are the best tires I’ve found for my 2 Jeeps. They last and last. They have excellent tread in all road conditions. They Look really sharp and makes the cars look good too. You can usually get them at a buy 3 get 1 free offer.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Eric and his staff have always taken care of my tires at Big O Concord for the last 30 years I have used them. They are ALWAYS helpful with any tire needs, from the right tires to use, the best value and even to service when all I need is to have my tires inflated back to optimum pressure on a cold day.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I went in for oil and transmission fluid changes. They informed me that an employee had broken my shift cable, said we could work something out by them doing some "MacGyver" zip tie repair. Somehow it became my fault when I told them I had broken it before by trying to force the shifter into the low gears, D2 and D2. Only excess force would cause it to snap but they were like ** happens. I have no idea how long their patch will hold. Car won't start in Park now and previous repair cost me $600. I used profanity when they called me on the phone and this will nag at me for months as I suffer bipolar depression disorder. My review is ZERO stars.

Original review: June 7, 2018

ATTN FEMALES - DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR TO BIG O TIRES. I took my car in and inquired about possibly getting 4 new tires. Two guys came out and looked at my tires and I made an appointment and put a $400 deposit down. So when I took my car in a couple days later, they could not get the tires off of my car and said I needed a key. And since I didn't have a key they wanted me to take it to a dealership to buy a key. No one ever mentioned that I needed a key to unlock the tires on my car. I'm a female - I have never taken a car in for tires before. My dad or my husband always handled it. How in the world would I have known that you needed a lock to remove the tires?

Plus, I am certainly not that stupid to have put down a $400 deposit had I known they could not get the tires off of my car. So, they refused to give me back my deposit. Then, to make matters worse, I called and spoke with their general manager, Mike, and he insulted me! When I told him I did not know I had to have a key to unlock my tires... he rudely interrupted me and said "Everyone knows you have to have a key". OMG... what a total insult to a female! Not everyone knows this. He discriminated me as a female!!! He was so rude. I will never use Big O Tires again! DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR THERE!!!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I first encountered Big O tires in the Yuma Foothills about 20 years when I took my RV in for some routine tire maintenance. My vehicle was damaged while at their shop and after a very heated discussion with the owner, she gave me a $100 "settlement" for the damages. Turns out that was less than half what the actual cost was. I said I would never go back to them.

Last year, I had a flat on a rear dual and decided to try them again as I didn't want to drive 17 miles to another dealer on a flat. They said they couldn't repair the tire because it was 6 years old (I always replace any tire when it hits 7 years). Then they said the rotors were beginning to crack so I told them to replace them and any other bearings, seals, etc. that needed to be done. Total was over $4300 including 6 new tires. Yesterday (5/29) I took the vehicle back for routine balancing and aircheck. I was told I had an oil leak in the front bearing seal.

This was supposed to have been replaced last year and the part appeared to be brand new. Again a very heated discussion with the shop manager and they refused to stand behind their work from the previous year. The manager and another employee were very rude and totally lacked any experience in good customer service. I now know that I should have followed my own advice of 20 years ago. I will NEVER do business with them again and will tell my many friends to stay away from Big O.

Big O Tires expert review by Lauren Fix

Big O Tires was founded in 1962 by a group of independent tire dealers. Today the company has 400 franchise and company-owned locations in 19 states.

• Warranty: Big O offers an easy to understand 3-year limited warranty that includes free tire rotation and rebalancing every 5,000 miles.

• Wheel visualization tool: Consumers can pair tires and wheels virtually through the company website to see what their purchase will look like on their car or truck.

• Special offers: By signing up on the Big O website, consumers can receive special offers such as coupons and product information.

• Full service: Big O offers several auto services backed by a nationwide warranty and performed by ASE certified technicians.

• Best for: Light truck and SUV drivers, winter, run-flats passenger vehicle drivers and off-road drivers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Big O Tires Company Information