4.7/5 (79 ratings)

About Sunlux

Sunlux is a solar energy company that specializes in full-service panel installation, including re-roofing and shingle projects. Customers work directly with a Sunlux advisor to customize their system. The company serves residents in Southern California and Central Texas.

Pros

• Variety of equipment options
  • 25-year performance guarantee
  • Modern, sleek designs

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Not ideal for small installations

Bottom Line

Sunlux's low-profile solar panels blend into a roof. Though prep time can be long, customers are generally pleased with their solar installations. The company provides a comprehensive 25-year warranty and lifetime support.

Sunlux Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunlux?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunlux?

Original review: May 26, 2022

Sunlux has been very diligent. Everything is transparent. They've tried to accommodate a lot of the questions and concerns that I've had. They don't promise everything, but they provide you with the details. The gentleman who explained the details to me had a very detailed presentation. It took a lot of time but it explained a lot of things. I'm still in the middle of trying to finalize how we're gonna be approaching the project. We're making sure that the roof is able to handle that added load and that we don't have to remove the panels 5, 10 years from now to fix leaks.

Original review: May 18, 2022

They scheduled a conference call where they would show me my options. The Sunlux rep explained everything about the system, how it works, gave me options and I selected. He was very knowledgeable. I felt very comfortable working with them. They went through the city and got the permit. They did everything for me, even the financing. They contacted me to a bank, they told me how much the bank is gonna charge me to get the financing. I did the math at home and it seems like everything works. Instead of paying $100 or $200 for the electric bill, if I use the same amount of energy or less, I will end up paying just the financing, which is $150. But only for six years, and then after that, the panels will be mine and I don't have to pay anymore. That's a good investment now. Especially since I will have an electric car.

Original review: May 14, 2022

We went with Sunlux because of their pricing. Our project manager has taken a lot of time to respond to us on a couple of occasions. But Sunlux's rep was very straightforward, answered our questions, helpful and friendly.

Original review: May 13, 2022

Partly the reason we went with Sunlux was because it was more competitive on pricing. I’ve gotten communication, at least. But it has been good.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I liked that with Sunlux, there wasn't any pressure. If I had questions, I could reach out freely without feeling bad about asking a question. The rep, Gary, was relaxed and sounded like he knew his stuff. He was knowledgeable with the technology that we had available to do the presentation. We didn't have to sit there and wait for him to do things. He was comfortable with putting together the presentation while also being able to carry on a conversation. It was an easy conversation and an easy kind of route. The process of financing was quick. There was a discrepancy in the communication between them and Sungage between the years and dollar amount. I contacted Gary over Easter weekend and told him that there was a discrepancy between what they sent Sungage and what Sungage was having me sign. He got everything taken care of before dinnertime. He did well. I wish Sunlux was a little bit cheaper though.

Original review: April 21, 2022

We just signed up with the project and it has yet to commence. But everybody has been cooperative and has been giving me information because everything is new for me. I'm not that knowledgeable in solar or roofing or contracting so they are helping me throughout. Bonnie is our project manager and Gary, who was my initial contact, is the salesperson and engineer. He has been giving me guidance. So, it’s been good. I will recommend others to at least explore the possibility of going with Sunlux and they can make their own calculated decision and look at all the options. And so far, my experience has been wonderful, so I have nothing but praise for Sunlux.

Original review: April 10, 2022

Out of the three companies that I talked to and got quotes from, they were the only company that offered the Tesla panels. Also, they were the only company that at the end of the year, any kilowatt-hours overage, I was going to get some sort of payment from the electrical company. Plus, the reps are professional and well-rounded individuals. They had good follow-up and stayed on top of everything. But they still haven't installed the solar panels.

Also, I'm not happy with the company they are recommending to finance the panels. It took me longer to get everything set up with them than it took SunLux to get the permits from the city, which is almost the opposite. There was a lot of going back and forth with them and I couldn't see them in person to take care of things. Everything has to be online, which is fine but it was just their lack of follow-up. I suggest looking into a different company.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I liked that SunLux didn't keep pestering us. Sunrun kept calling every 15 minutes, and I actually had to block their number. SunLux was a little more professional and didn't treat me like just a big sale. They just called and then we set the appointment. We just had the inspector and we've kind of got everything going. The experience is very positive and feels more service-oriented.

Original review: April 6, 2022

We had a really good Zoom meeting with Bill, our salesperson, and he was very thorough, friendly and knowledgeable. He answered all our questions, gave us a great PDF document that had all of our estimated savings and plans, and really demystified the whole process for us. There were some hang-ups with the plans for installation and how many panels we could get though. Now, Sunlux is hammering it out internally before coming back to us with a revised proposal. If they can't deliver on a proposal that has enough to justify the cost, we just won't do it, but that's nothing against Sunlux. It just happens to be what the situation is. We'll just wait and see if they can figure something out. If they can, terrific. If they can't, then we tried.

Original review: March 31, 2022

Sunlux had the slightly smaller panels that are more conducive, so I went with them. I liked the rep's level of communication. But the biggest thing for me is the supply chain issues hampered their ability to just stick with a specific vendor for their panels. When I first engaged, they talked about using LG panels, then about using Panasonic. Towards the end, they were, "I'm not sure if we're gonna be able to use the Panasonic. We may have to switch to Tesla." At which time I said, "I can't use the Tesla because I won't get a comparable sized system." They said that they would make available the Panasonics. So managing their supply chain for the consistent product delivery would be the area that I would improve the most. Other than that, I would not hesitate to recommend Sunlux to a friend. But I would warn him that supply chain issues are impacting their ability to do certain layouts.

Original review: March 22, 2022

We were able to talk to three different representatives from three different companies, and the guy from Sunlux happened to be a gentleman. He came across as knowledgeable, and he went out of his way to check on things and verify pricing. I used to work in the public utility industry, and there was a discount that was available for people who work in the public utility industries that I didn't know about. The guy from Sunlux was very helpful, kind, polite, and professional, and seemed to have a sense of integrity because he made and kept his promises.

Sunlux has done the inspection, planning and engineering. At this point, they're still getting hold of the local utility because they're gonna have to upgrade the panels. They haven't installed it yet, but I anticipate that it's going to be everything I expect. I don't expect miracles from solar, but I expect that it will provide me with a lot of energy throughout the course of owning the house and provide most, if not all, of my needs as we go along.

We went with three of the top companies, and out of the choices that we had, Sunlux has been easily one of the best experiences. They've been fair, and as far as equitable, they've hit the price ranges that everybody else has. Nobody's given me super discounts, but Sunlux has been really personal, too. I even got contacted by one of the owners at one point because there was a misunderstanding. Their customer service and their regular service is top notch. I would absolutely recommend them.

Original review: March 4, 2022

I was referred by a family member who had used Sunlux and our rep was knowledgeable and quick to respond. We had a Zoom meeting for 20 minutes to discuss the product.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

I selected four different companies and I interviewed all four. The salesman for SunLux was more knowledgeable simply because he had more years of experience in the field. I felt comfortable with that. I liked their warranty because it made me feel comfortable that they're going to be around to repair things if something goes wrong. They're not a company that I perceive is going to close up shop tomorrow. I was very impressed by their entire presentation and everything thus far has followed suit. They present things in a very organized way that a consumer who's not all that knowledgeable about solar can understand.

Their pricing structure also made a lot of sense. They analyzed our bills. They looked at our roof. They made comments on what would need to be done, and then put together a structure that made sense for me. He told me the options and then he connected me to the bank that they use to finance, and they took over from there. We're in the beginning phases. They did their inspection. Now, it's gone to their engineering department. Once their engineering department analyzes all the data, then the rep will come back to me and say, “We need to increase or decrease the panels."

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

Sunlux was amazing from start to end. Very helpful with our needs and wants. They did not push us into anything. Alex, our project manager, was great with communication and very professional. Sunlux helped us with a new roof installation. The company they secured for us was very professional and cleaned up after themselves very well. The solar installers and electrician were great!!! They let me know what they were doing throughout the process. I am an above satisfied customer. Thank you Sunlux!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

Sunlux' pricing was significantly better than the three other companies that I checked with. When I called the initial salesperson, he was informative. All the way along, Sunlux was excellent as far as keeping me posted on updates. I knew going in that it wasn't going to be a quick process. It met all my expectations with the timelines, and also their availability. The service almost exceeds my expectations. It's as promised. I can easily monitor it with the application and the panels are producing better than I thought it would.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

The rep was consistent and enrolling was pretty simple. The application process was easy.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

The sign-up process was smooth. My rep Jerry was very competent and persuasive. Everything he explained was crystal clear. I'm very happy with him. Getting them the documents they needed was very easy. Everything was online and I'm able to return the information in the same way.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

I did a solar energy system with Sunlux on my house about three years ago, and everything went very smoothly. The process was close to three months because I had a different situation where my roof tile is Spanish tile. It cannot take the penetration of a rack system on the roof so they had to strip off the areas of the roof where they were going to put solar panels and do composition paper underneath that to waterproof it all. Then they mounted the racks and brought the Spanish tile back up to the edge of the solar panels. Once they got that done, the solar panels were installed within a couple of weeks. They were on time regularly for the rest of the stuff.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

SunLux was very responsive. The salesperson was so professional and polite. I've signed the contract, and they came to the house for site survey. I'm currently waiting for the engineering department to do the engineering work and send the documents to me.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

Customer service was great. There's a direct contact with me and so we got things squared away very fast. I was happy.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

The representative from Sunlux was very knowledgeable. He answered all my questions. He went in depth about the new technology and what my advantages and disadvantages were. Get a consultation with them, too, and see if they can fulfill your needs.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

I've been talking to Adam with Sunlux for over a year and he's been super patient with me. He has filled me in on all my questions. He would call me sometimes a couple of weeks, sometimes a couple of months. We stayed in touch for a whole year because I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing. I kept postponing him and postponing him but he was super nice and not pushy one bit. If I wanted him to call me back, he’d call me back.

If it wasn’t for Adam's patience and due diligence, I probably wouldn't be going with Sunlux. I probably would have went through a company that one of my friends had. Sunlux is a little bit more expensive on the loan process portion of it than some of my friends went through but I trust Adam. He promised me until my service is completely done, he's going to walk the whole entire process with me, and he has. Three days ago, I got an email saying that I needed to do my direct deposit so that I could get the APR financing at a locked-in lower rate. I called Adam and asked about it. He called the place and we got it handled. I can call him at a drop of a dime and he answers me.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

Sunlux had a good deal for the kind of panels I was looking for and the salesperson was really nice. Within a few weeks of everything getting signed and contract done, they gave me a project manager. A few weeks after that, the project manager came down with covid. Ever since then, I've heard very little from them. We got our permit approved back in December. Here we are, mid-February, and nothing's been done. The new project manager will get back to me within a week but with no real answers to anything other than he's having a hard time finding people to install now. I'm not putting any blame on them but I wish I had more communication.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

I had consultations with about five different companies, and the rep from Sunlux was the most comprehensive and accessible. Whenever I called him, he’d always answer. He seemed to have more knowledge, the right kind of knowledge, the stuff I wanted to know, and he explained everything very well. I just signed the contract today, and they’re doing the permitting now. As far as the solar panels, the micro-inverter is very important. They have different types of panels. They have a series which is older, which you run the risk. It’s like if one panel is shaded, the whole array can go down. With the micro-inverters, which is what I'm purchasing from LG, they are on the panels. So, there's no central point of failure. If one panel gets shaded, then the other panels are going to keep producing energy.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

On the telephone, the Sunlux customer service reps were great. They answered all my questions. They worked with me. They did what I wanted them to do. They made it work under my conditions. Overall, Sunlux was very educational. I knew nothing and then two weeks later, I feel like my head was gonna explode. I knew too much. So, they were very informative. What I liked was the person I worked with was not a salesperson. He was an engineer. So, he explained technical things, but I had to make him explain them a couple of times because I was new. So, he went over and over until I got it.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

Our rep with SunLux was organized. My wife and I were fine working with him. I'm hoping that the installation will start in early February.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

We like our rep, Gary. He was helpful, knowledgeable and willing and available to answer every and excess question that I ended up having. We got two different projects with SunLux going on and right now, they are waiting for the City of Long Beach to approve all the design so it's kind of at a standstill. There was also a little bit of delay sometimes with communication back. But we were dealing with Christmas and New Year so it was kind of understandable. The process has been easy, so far.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I like SunLux Energy's customer service. Their rep who did the interview was straight out with me while everybody else was scheming. I even told him he’s got my business because of that.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I canceled my contract with SunLux. What was written down said I wouldn't have any more expenses, but the site inspection was done after the contract signing. They wanted to remove part of my roof because the tiles, they said, were too light and it was their policy not to put panels up there. To remove the tile roofs and put shingles down was another 15,000, which brought the end price up to 38,000. So, I said, “No.”

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

The sales rep was great, answered all the questions I had and was very knowledgeable about the process and the different panels that I was interested in. I’m waiting for the HOA to give approval for the installation. Apart from that, the process has been very good. I haven't had any issues with SunLux, and the communication has been quite well.

Sunlux Company Information