4.5/5 (79 ratings)

About Sunlux

Sunlux is a solar energy company that specializes in full-service panel installation, including re-roofing and shingle projects. Customers work directly with a Sunlux advisor to customize their system. The company serves residents in Southern California and Central Texas.

Pros

• Variety of equipment options
  • 25-year performance guarantee
  • Modern, sleek designs

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Not ideal for small installations

Bottom Line

Sunlux's low-profile solar panels blend into a roof. Though prep time can be long, customers are generally pleased with their solar installations. The company provides a comprehensive 25-year warranty and lifetime support.

Sunlux Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunlux?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunlux?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

The installation hasn't happened yet, but my experience has been great so far. This is something that I'm not knowledgeable about, and the rep walked me through it very easily. I have asked so many questions, and he's has been so extremely patient, knowledgeable, and very bipartisan of his product versus others, telling me to do the research. Currently, we're waiting on permits, and the roofer has to come look at my house to do an audit.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I have solar panels and I need more of them. So, I reached out to Sunlux. I'm still in the process of finalizing everything but it’s been good so far. I don't have any complaints.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

The salesperson was really knowledgeable and helped me compare against other offers that we had. He had a lot of diverse experiences and he spent a lot of time with me. He was really good.

Original review: July 30, 2022

I really like my interactions with Sunlux, and I’m very happy. Mark, who was my person, was really informative. I priced at least one other company, and their price and product look much better than what I saw from another company. We're just in the process to get the panels installed, and Sunlux's estimate is three months from beginning to end. They did the site audit, and right now, their engineers are drawing up a plan, then they submit those to the city. The city then comes and inspects, then they say if we have to change or fix something, and once it's approved, Sunlux will start to do the install. They also have to get it hooked up to the grid. So, there's a process with Southern California Edison.

Original review: July 29, 2022

The representative was excellent. We financed, and the signup process took a week. However, the panels are not installed yet because the permit is still in process.

Original review: July 27, 2022

I have two houses down Corporate with Sunlux. One is okay and we are already processing through the HOA. But the scheduling with the other one is quite slow. They arranged for the technician to take a look at the roof, then after he inspected the roof, I haven't heard anything from them for four weeks. Later on, they contacted me and said that the technician did not complete an investigation on the roof. So they needed to come back again. Then they started to schedule for the technician to come over. In the end, I contacted the salesperson who contacted me in the very beginning. He contacted someone in the company and arranged for someone to come over today to take a look at the roof again. He did a good job. In fact, he is the reason why I chose Sunlux. This guy is Chinese, he's very popular in the Facebook group, and a lot of people recommend him, which is the most important thing.

Sunlux response

Hi Ben,

I apologize for any delays and will look into this immediately.

Original review: July 17, 2022

I was gonna buy solar through Sunlux and talked to the salesman. After talking to him, he sounded reputable. We got into it but they weren't so reputable after all. It's a switch and bait thing. He told me, "I can't sell you the panels that I want to because I can't get them. We can get Tesla. We're guaranteed at the end of the year. No problem. 400 watts." I got a call the day before, saying they couldn't get those. They wanted to give me a less type of panel. It's inferior to the one I ordered. Signed the contract. It’s less wattage per cell, per panel, than the one I originally bought. So, I told them to cancel the whole thing. I gave him 1,000 bucks. Hopefully I can that back.

I haven't heard back from the salesman. I talked to him yesterday. When you sign a contract, you sign and it will cost you 250 bucks for the site audit, which they did. Also, they told me I needed a sub panel. It cost me 600 bucks. They didn't tell me that. Things occurred afterwards that upset me. They weren’t upfront with me.

Original review: June 18, 2022

The enrollment experience with SunLux has been quite good. They seem very organized and thorough. The rep answered all my questions and the engineer who came out clearly knew exactly what he was doing. So, I've been impressed with their expertise. It was excellent dealing with them. They stay in touch and I don't go long spells without getting an update with them. They are very prompt at keeping me informed about what's going on. We're still getting into the engineering phase and probably in about a week, we're going to start going after permits.

Original review: June 10, 2022

We haven't gotten very far in the process but Sunlux's customer service has been fine so far. I have emails fairly regularly. I’d like to see the permit process move faster but it's not a whole lot that's in their control.

Original review: June 5, 2022

Don was my Sunlux rep and he was very knowledgeable, extremely helpful, and always available. I had the most wonderful experience working with him. He mentioned that he was an engineer by training and really had an answer for every question I had. I double-checked his work and it seemed to be spot on. At no point did I get the impression that he didn't know what he was talking about or he was just throwing numbers or concepts out there that he was not comfortable or content with. He was always very cordial and to the point. I haven't really committed to Sunlux yet. If they can be competitive in terms of the price they offer for my projects, then they have my business. If ultimately, I can get the same if not similar service for less money, then I have to go with that.

Original review: May 29, 2022

I haven’t finished working with Sunlux yet, but it's been fine so far. I purchased the panels outright so I didn't have to go through any leasing. It was cheaper too.

Original review: May 28, 2022

The process went pretty quick and they did awesome. I'm waiting to get the app to where I can do the monitoring. They said someone would call me in the next couple of days. Other than that, everything’s been good so far.

Original review: May 27, 2022

So far, so good. The sales rep is very nice, knowledgeable and available if we have any questions or concerns. We've gotten to the part where we've approved the plans and they've sent us a copy of everything. Now, it's going to the city for a permit.

Original review: May 26, 2022

Sunlux has been very diligent. Everything is transparent. They've tried to accommodate a lot of the questions and concerns that I've had. They don't promise everything, but they provide you with the details. The gentleman who explained the details to me had a very detailed presentation. It took a lot of time but it explained a lot of things. I'm still in the middle of trying to finalize how we're gonna be approaching the project. We're making sure that the roof is able to handle that added load and that we don't have to remove the panels 5, 10 years from now to fix leaks.

Original review: May 18, 2022

They scheduled a conference call where they would show me my options. The Sunlux rep explained everything about the system, how it works, gave me options and I selected. He was very knowledgeable. I felt very comfortable working with them. They went through the city and got the permit. They did everything for me, even the financing. They contacted me to a bank, they told me how much the bank is gonna charge me to get the financing. I did the math at home and it seems like everything works. Instead of paying $100 or $200 for the electric bill, if I use the same amount of energy or less, I will end up paying just the financing, which is $150. But only for six years, and then after that, the panels will be mine and I don't have to pay anymore. That's a good investment now. Especially since I will have an electric car.

Original review: May 14, 2022

We went with Sunlux because of their pricing. Our project manager has taken a lot of time to respond to us on a couple of occasions. But Sunlux's rep was very straightforward, answered our questions, helpful and friendly.

Original review: May 13, 2022

Partly the reason we went with Sunlux was because it was more competitive on pricing. I’ve gotten communication, at least. But it has been good.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I liked that with Sunlux, there wasn't any pressure. If I had questions, I could reach out freely without feeling bad about asking a question. The rep, Gary, was relaxed and sounded like he knew his stuff. He was knowledgeable with the technology that we had available to do the presentation. We didn't have to sit there and wait for him to do things. He was comfortable with putting together the presentation while also being able to carry on a conversation. It was an easy conversation and an easy kind of route. The process of financing was quick. There was a discrepancy in the communication between them and Sungage between the years and dollar amount. I contacted Gary over Easter weekend and told him that there was a discrepancy between what they sent Sungage and what Sungage was having me sign. He got everything taken care of before dinnertime. He did well. I wish Sunlux was a little bit cheaper though.

Original review: April 21, 2022

We just signed up with the project and it has yet to commence. But everybody has been cooperative and has been giving me information because everything is new for me. I'm not that knowledgeable in solar or roofing or contracting so they are helping me throughout. Bonnie is our project manager and Gary, who was my initial contact, is the salesperson and engineer. He has been giving me guidance. So, it’s been good. I will recommend others to at least explore the possibility of going with Sunlux and they can make their own calculated decision and look at all the options. And so far, my experience has been wonderful, so I have nothing but praise for Sunlux.

Original review: April 10, 2022

Out of the three companies that I talked to and got quotes from, they were the only company that offered the Tesla panels. Also, they were the only company that at the end of the year, any kilowatt-hours overage, I was going to get some sort of payment from the electrical company. Plus, the reps are professional and well-rounded individuals. They had good follow-up and stayed on top of everything. But they still haven't installed the solar panels.

Also, I'm not happy with the company they are recommending to finance the panels. It took me longer to get everything set up with them than it took SunLux to get the permits from the city, which is almost the opposite. There was a lot of going back and forth with them and I couldn't see them in person to take care of things. Everything has to be online, which is fine but it was just their lack of follow-up. I suggest looking into a different company.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I liked that SunLux didn't keep pestering us. Sunrun kept calling every 15 minutes, and I actually had to block their number. SunLux was a little more professional and didn't treat me like just a big sale. They just called and then we set the appointment. We just had the inspector and we've kind of got everything going. The experience is very positive and feels more service-oriented.

Original review: April 6, 2022

We had a really good Zoom meeting with Bill, our salesperson, and he was very thorough, friendly and knowledgeable. He answered all our questions, gave us a great PDF document that had all of our estimated savings and plans, and really demystified the whole process for us. There were some hang-ups with the plans for installation and how many panels we could get though. Now, Sunlux is hammering it out internally before coming back to us with a revised proposal. If they can't deliver on a proposal that has enough to justify the cost, we just won't do it, but that's nothing against Sunlux. It just happens to be what the situation is. We'll just wait and see if they can figure something out. If they can, terrific. If they can't, then we tried.

Original review: March 31, 2022

Sunlux had the slightly smaller panels that are more conducive, so I went with them. I liked the rep's level of communication. But the biggest thing for me is the supply chain issues hampered their ability to just stick with a specific vendor for their panels. When I first engaged, they talked about using LG panels, then about using Panasonic. Towards the end, they were, "I'm not sure if we're gonna be able to use the Panasonic. We may have to switch to Tesla." At which time I said, "I can't use the Tesla because I won't get a comparable sized system." They said that they would make available the Panasonics. So managing their supply chain for the consistent product delivery would be the area that I would improve the most. Other than that, I would not hesitate to recommend Sunlux to a friend. But I would warn him that supply chain issues are impacting their ability to do certain layouts.

Original review: March 22, 2022

We were able to talk to three different representatives from three different companies, and the guy from Sunlux happened to be a gentleman. He came across as knowledgeable, and he went out of his way to check on things and verify pricing. I used to work in the public utility industry, and there was a discount that was available for people who work in the public utility industries that I didn't know about. The guy from Sunlux was very helpful, kind, polite, and professional, and seemed to have a sense of integrity because he made and kept his promises.

Sunlux has done the inspection, planning and engineering. At this point, they're still getting hold of the local utility because they're gonna have to upgrade the panels. They haven't installed it yet, but I anticipate that it's going to be everything I expect. I don't expect miracles from solar, but I expect that it will provide me with a lot of energy throughout the course of owning the house and provide most, if not all, of my needs as we go along.

We went with three of the top companies, and out of the choices that we had, Sunlux has been easily one of the best experiences. They've been fair, and as far as equitable, they've hit the price ranges that everybody else has. Nobody's given me super discounts, but Sunlux has been really personal, too. I even got contacted by one of the owners at one point because there was a misunderstanding. Their customer service and their regular service is top notch. I would absolutely recommend them.

Original review: March 4, 2022

I was referred by a family member who had used Sunlux and our rep was knowledgeable and quick to respond. We had a Zoom meeting for 20 minutes to discuss the product.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

I selected four different companies and I interviewed all four. The salesman for SunLux was more knowledgeable simply because he had more years of experience in the field. I felt comfortable with that. I liked their warranty because it made me feel comfortable that they're going to be around to repair things if something goes wrong. They're not a company that I perceive is going to close up shop tomorrow. I was very impressed by their entire presentation and everything thus far has followed suit. They present things in a very organized way that a consumer who's not all that knowledgeable about solar can understand.

Their pricing structure also made a lot of sense. They analyzed our bills. They looked at our roof. They made comments on what would need to be done, and then put together a structure that made sense for me. He told me the options and then he connected me to the bank that they use to finance, and they took over from there. We're in the beginning phases. They did their inspection. Now, it's gone to their engineering department. Once their engineering department analyzes all the data, then the rep will come back to me and say, “We need to increase or decrease the panels."

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

Sunlux was amazing from start to end. Very helpful with our needs and wants. They did not push us into anything. Alex, our project manager, was great with communication and very professional. Sunlux helped us with a new roof installation. The company they secured for us was very professional and cleaned up after themselves very well. The solar installers and electrician were great!!! They let me know what they were doing throughout the process. I am an above satisfied customer. Thank you Sunlux!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

Sunlux' pricing was significantly better than the three other companies that I checked with. When I called the initial salesperson, he was informative. All the way along, Sunlux was excellent as far as keeping me posted on updates. I knew going in that it wasn't going to be a quick process. It met all my expectations with the timelines, and also their availability. The service almost exceeds my expectations. It's as promised. I can easily monitor it with the application and the panels are producing better than I thought it would.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

The rep was consistent and enrolling was pretty simple. The application process was easy.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

The sign-up process was smooth. My rep Jerry was very competent and persuasive. Everything he explained was crystal clear. I'm very happy with him. Getting them the documents they needed was very easy. Everything was online and I'm able to return the information in the same way.

Sunlux Company Information