4.6/5 (79 ratings)

About Sunlux

Sunlux is a solar energy company that specializes in full-service panel installation, including re-roofing and shingle projects. Customers work directly with a Sunlux advisor to customize their system. The company serves residents in Southern California and Central Texas.

Pros

• Variety of equipment options
  • 25-year performance guarantee
  • Modern, sleek designs

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Not ideal for small installations

Bottom Line

Sunlux's low-profile solar panels blend into a roof. Though prep time can be long, customers are generally pleased with their solar installations. The company provides a comprehensive 25-year warranty and lifetime support.

Sunlux Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunlux?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunlux?

Original review: March 3, 2021

I've had solar panels in the past, and there seemed to be a benefit, so in my newer home, I decided to do it. I did a lot of research on companies throughout the area and decided to go with SunLux after talking to a couple other companies. This was a purchase, which is a better idea than leasing it earlier in my other house. That’s a good deal all the way around. The person-in-charge of the SunLux company, Erica, kept me informed what was happening throughout the process as well. The only thing that ever held them back was waiting for the city to approve stuff, which is not their issue. Other than that, the whole process went smoothly. Installation was seamless too. It happened without me being there and it all went together well.

Original review: March 2, 2021

My father-in-law recommended SunLux, which made me decide to go with them. They could reply to emails a little bit faster but it was good dealing with the customer service team.

Original review: March 1, 2021

I was impressed initially, but things bogged down during the installation. The design that I had discussed with the first rep was all well and good. Then, they came out and did an inspection when I wasn't here. Against my instructions, they came up with a new plan. The plan that we had originally discussed, they didn’t tell me that it would involve about 100 feet of trenching through a landscaped patio and brick pavers. So, I had to scrap that plan. There was no way I was gonna tear up my yard. Then, we had to locate it on the roof of the garage where the main panel is. I have the main panel on a detached garage and I have a sub-panel at the house. So, it was easier to install everything on the garage going directly to the main panel and that even required some trenching. I got into a dispute with the company about who is responsible for that.

After they had already made a commitment on the price, then they wanted to add a bunch of money for trenching, which should have been caught in the original design. It should have been disclosed then. So, there was a little unhappiness in the middle of the thing. We resolved it though. It just took a lot longer than I ever expected. The permitting and the juggling with SCE and the SGIP program just dragged on and on.

It’s working according to their design. We have a 3.8-kilowatt system. On a good day, we’re getting a full 4 kilowatts out of it. But, that’s seasonal. I don't always have the best usage out of it all year round because the roof that we originally planned it on was entirely south-facing. Now, they've had to split the panels between south-facing and north-facing slopes, which I was not happy about. But I was told I had no options. But I'm happy and satisfied with SunLux.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

I'm impressed with SunLux. They had a good warranty on their stuff and I liked the way they approached us. The representative answered all my questions. And then, the installers did the installation pretty quick. When I got home from work, everything was done. They were done by 4 o'clock. It took two days. One for the installation of the panels, another day for the panel box itself. I had an issue with the breaker popping two or three times. SunLux came out and fixed it on that same day I called. Also, if I need to talk to them, if I couldn’t exactly talk to the person I need to talk to, they would pass the message on to their supervisor and they would call me right away. I have told other people that I have SunLux.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

We communicated with SunLux by email and advised them that we wanted to get solar in both our homes. So, they went ahead and got those lined up and they did a reputable job. There were certain things that we had to wait for about the city, COVID and everything that was going on but they crushed it. I was very impressed. SunLux takes care of me and stands by their word. They make sure my system is working properly.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

From start to finish the Sunlux crew did an amazing job. We would highly recommend Sunlux for your solar needs. During the summer we can run the Air conditioner all the time. Now if only had an electric heater we would be set.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

All the representatives were courteous and professional. They did a real good job. They were quick and efficient in installing the solar panels and equipment inside. My neighbors all said they did it pretty fast. Going solar helped me out tremendously so far because I put a pool in my backyard and it made a difference.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

SunLux was introduced by my classmate Mr. D. ** who used to be an associate of Sunlux. The whole experiences I had with SunLux was not smooth: 1. Right after I signed the contract, SunLux informed me that they had to change the contract since SunRun would not offer the panels I signed. Though I did accept the alternate plan, I started to wonder what was going on at SunLux.

2. SunLux sales told me that SunLux would use their own workers to do the installation, and used the most reliable sealant. However, when the installers came, it WAS NOT workers from SunLux, and NO SunLux personnel ever showed up at the worksite. Those workers drilled several holes through my ceiling, and they did not use the correct sealant either.

3. I complained to SunLux and couple days later SunLux sent another crews subcontracted by SunLux plus one supervisor from SunLux. 4. At the last inspection by DWP with one SunLux worker, the SunLux worker told me that his manager would come to do something to complete the installation. That never happened. I informed the sales, and he told me everything is done.

5. After I received my first electrical bill, I was shocked that the amount of I had to pay for the electricity was the same as the last bill. I called SunRun, and the support person said that my system's output was way below what it should be, it at least should be double the amount. They send a SunLux service who came the next day. But no one had informed me that he would show up on that day. I had to rush home after he called me.

6. The service checked the system and claimed that the firmware in the converter was not correct and he updated the firmware. The system seems to do a bit better according to the SunRun's data, however, it was not at least doubled than before. I had contacted SunRun and SunLux on this matter, and I am waiting for the response. 7. Overall, my experience with SunLux can not rate high. First of all, they did not communicate well with the client as I expressed above. Secondly, they did not perform as the sales had told me, the operation seems to be fragmented, the sales and project engineering were not connected well.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I did my due diligence by speaking with three different companies since I've had my share of issues with home contractors. From the initial sales pitch-person, to the final installation, Sunlux was great to work with. Being an engineer, I had some suggestions that would make an easier and cleaner install. They listened to my inputs and made adjustments. The install technicians were top notch. They were on-time, skilled, and really paid attention detail giving me the aesthetic look and electrical production that I was hoping for. Thank you again for being such a great company and doing such a fantastic job - I really appreciate how easy it was to get this done. Please don't change the way you are doing business - you have it all right!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Sunlux appears pretty incompetent during our process, causing at least a 3 week delay in start up. We were getting mixed messages from installers on what needed to be done. We had two separate no shows on inspections. Lastly, they failed to “flip the switch” when the process was finally complete. Not pleased at all.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

SunLux was great to work with. Rob ** was a great sales person who explained everything in detail, answered all questions promptly, was available by text even when the job was passed to our team manager, Jennifer. Jennifer ** was always on point with statuses and updates. The financing was handled through them with good rates and options. Much better financing than competitors. The install and roofing went smoothly and when I wanted something fixed quickly they handled it. Our solar install looks amazing and better than the neighbors. I have referred them to others as well. Thank you SunLux!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I had a reroof and solar install conducted in June 2020. The reroof ended up punching 2 holes in my master bedroom drywall due to a dropped hammer, that I had to patch myself, and they also accidentally cut a few electrical lines in my attic, knocking power out to 2 bedrooms and a bathroom, all of which have yet to be fixed. They attempted to send a crew out but after 2 visits it never changed, they shrugged their shoulders, and I never heard from them again. Was really excited for this whole thing and it’s been a total letdown.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Great communication through whole process. Continued support and answers all questions promptly. I did a lot of research on companies and their mix of pricing and customer reviews made them the right choice for our family. I highly recommend this company for your solar needs.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I have been pleased with SunLux. It just started to kick in and the bill is considerably lower. I had one issue with them. After they did the stucco work to my side of my house, they didn't match the paint very well and they didn't paint well. Whoever came out was very sloppy. I took some pictures and I sent the pictures to them. They came out the very next day and fixed it up. They were very quick to respond to an issue that I had with them.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

The sales representative was very knowledgeable and helpful. We went with SunLux because of the advertisements and the guaranteed production. The installation was good. There was one hiccup though. It also took a while to get fixed, but eventually, it was fixed to my satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

SunLux seemed the best fit for us. They were really kind when I called them. The rep explained everything in detail without being patronizing. He was really helpful with setting it all up. Then the person I worked with the most was Berlin and she was amazing. She would email and call and was on top of everything. They were great. I appreciate them.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

We talked to three different providers and SunLux gave us the best presentation and explained things more than the other ones. Installation went smooth and they were done in no time. The reps were great as well. We're happy.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I saw a neighborhood family install the solar panel with the SunLux. So, I got the number and I called. I was in touch with Adam, the salesperson, and I was very impressed with his explanation. He was very responsible. And then later on, everything went smoothly, but the pandemic made things go much slower. My project is very simple but it did not pass the local permit department for the first time, then SunLux had to resubmit the plan. I was surprised to find that out. I waited for a long time. That was a little disappointing. The project started in October 1st. Three months should have been enough to finish by the end of 2020, but it did not until February 8. Everything else looked fine. Somebody kept me updated frequently, so I like that part.

At first, I was able to get in touch with the project manager directly. But lately, it has been always like nobody doesn’t pick up and then it automatically leaves a message. That is a frustrating experience. I will try to call my project manager again because I know the first payment is due on March 9th, and so far, I’m anxious to know where shall I send my first check to.

SunLux told me to use the LG if I'm going to choose a particular panel. I was using that, where each panel has its own inverter. But then the contract has an individual item of inverter. And then later on, they told me there was a modification. There should be no change. But because LG has its own individual inverter, so I thought there should be either price deduction or a better explanation on why the modification was done. They told me they were all using Panasonic. But then after a bit in progress, they told me they were going to offer the LG because they have a contract with them. That's a little hiccup that I would like to have a little clearer explanation. I would still recommend this company happily if somebody wanted to install that in the near future.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I wanted to be as independent of the electrical grid as I could be. I had done part of the house with solar and I had a Tesla battery. But I realized that I was generating about half the power I needed to offset my power bill. So, I called SunLux and had them come to double what I already had. And that brought me to net zero on my electric bill. In fact, Edison sent me a check last year, so I appreciated that.

Aside from that, I had concerns with the company that I had used before with the quality of their workmanship, but SunLux stressed that their workmanship would be excellent, and it was. They said that they would run the cables through the attic and not over the top of the roof, which made it more pleasant to the eye, so I was very happy. They also tied my Tesla battery into the system so that I've got the two solar systems and the Tesla battery all connected together.

I started the process with SunLux a year ago and they got the installation done beautifully. But it took a long time to get the permission to operate, so I kept calling them to ask what was holding it up. They said that it was Edison that was holding it up, so it took a couple of months after the installation before I could turn the system on. Other than that, I love the solar system that I've got. Plus I drive a plug-in hybrid car, so my car basically runs on sunlight. I charge it in my garage overnight and I drive it to work, then I can plug it in where I work to drive home. So, if I've decided to work at home, I don't ever have to buy any gasoline.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

My parents have solar on their house and they’ve had it for 30 years now. They've known all the benefits. When me and my wife got our home, we wanted to go ahead and put solar on it as well and we found out about SunLux. There was another neighbor in our community who had solar as well and he worked with SunLux. He highly recommended them. So, we went ahead and got a call from SunLux and that worked out. The enrollment process was quick. It took about a week because we were adamant to get started. The installation and everything was fine. It was afterwards, through the inspections that had to be done, there was a little bit of miscommunication. But nothing too bad. It just delayed things by a week or so because they didn't seem to be on the same page together. In going solar, the benefit is almost immediate and we see it’s producing. The bill went down and everything seems to be working.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I saw some advertising for SunLux over KFI and I trust those guys. I also heard Bill Handel talking about it for a long time, so I decided to give it a shot. Their team was good. I dealt with Adam for a while, then he passed me on to Jennifer. She followed through with all the steps from the planning to when they came out to assess the roof structurally and through DWP. It was nice and I enjoyed everything about it. Aside from that, the installation was very quick. It was done within two days since they had to change one of the patterns and they had to reroute the power lines for something. The system was hooked up on June 10th and was generating power from day one when SunLux left, but DWP didn't officially hook it up until about a month later. All in all, I'm happy with my system.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

The rep had everything presented through a PowerPoint thing. He showed me everything on the computer like how I can either through the phone or the computer and track the panels if they are all functioning. I can track how much it’s doing a day. He said, “If you wanted to see individual panels, you can actually click on this and it will show you that everything’s working, or if something's not, what panel isn't.” For every question I had, he was able to walk me through it. It was pretty simple and I could trust him right away. It was a good experience. When I requested a few changes, the rep was able to help me with it right away. The only thing on my end is I haven't made the time to call in and try to get the system set up. While I was going through the process, I talked to my regional manager about SunLux and he ended up getting it too. Even though he started his process two weeks later, he got his a couple of days before I did. It’s no big deal though. He just got lucky in the timing.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

My meeting with the sales representative was done online via Zoom and he was able to present the background of the company, options for the house, and an overview of the process, should I decide to move forward with them. He went through a basic design and potential, given my location, and gave an overall pricing review and the various guarantees associated with it. SunLux's warranties and guarantee seemed longer than some of the other solar providers around the area. I decided to move forward with them and go with the in-house financing for that.

The purchase was fairly easy. Everything was done online, via phone calls, or through web meetings until they needed to come out and do an in-person project review to take a look at the site by one of the project managers. Between when the equipment was actually installed took a couple of weeks. The main holdup was the permitting process. Given the slowdowns with the city, that took a lot longer than we had anticipated. We were originally supposed to do the install in November and we didn't end up getting the approval to do it until early January.

Once everything was installed, the city came out and did the inspection within a week. They were able to get the system approved and going. Then, the process with SoCal Edison was another two weeks at the outset. It took 10 days tops to get the permit to operate and go live. It's been live for about a month now and I wish that the app to monitor the production was better. These are LG panels so it's an LG app and the app doesn't work for the phone so I have to do it online. It's a cumbersome system. But the actual energy production seems to be on par. My first month's bill has come back, and it was like $20 from the Electric Company, which is pretty nice.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

SunLux's reps were very helpful and always available. Anytime they didn't answer the phone, they called back pretty quickly. The installation of my panels was very easy. They went in in about a day. The only part that took a little while was getting them actually turned on but that was us waiting for the electric company to get their paperwork in order. SunLux did a good job and they're very professional, thorough, and prompt. The technology they have behind their sales rep to help give me a good idea of how efficient the panels are going to be was a very neat modeling software. It made me feel more confident about the information they're giving me. I'd recommend them if anyone asks me.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

I had a very pleasant experience with the rep of SunLux. He was very knowledgeable and he answered all of my questions to my satisfaction. When I went with the financing of my solar panels, I went with a different company, Sunrun so that means that SunLux still does not have the financing business 100%. It would greatly improve their company's products and service if they can finance customers on their own. But SunLux helped me through the financing process. The installation team was also very respectful. I knew what was going to go on and it went exactly as planned.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

What stood out for me about SunLux was they also have a roofing company, which at the time, I needed to redo my roof. So, they gave me the package deal. The service seemed really well. I worked with Adam who was the lead manager on the project. He was amazing. I definitely recommend him. SunLux also has very reasonable pricing. They were also very honest and always responding back to calls. So we ended up doing two homes with them. What I appreciated about them was their response and due diligence to satisfy the customer. If I said, “Oh, kinda like this,” they were on it.

We ended up financing the solar panels and it was really fair because the funds were released, and the partial, because of where they were with the process. Then the final payment was released from the lender when the project was finished based on my satisfaction. That was really well-done and I was very happy with that.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

The customer service with SunLux Energy is outstanding. They're constantly on top of everything. They kept me apprised of every step that was being taken. My project manager, Berlin, was fantastic. What's shocking was that they buy the panels from a distributor and they don't tell you what it is. Once we were into the project, I got a certified letter stating that if SunLux doesn't pay their bill, I'm getting a $14,000 lien put on my house. It never happened because they did pay it but I was very aggressive at first with these people thinking I didn't do business with them. I didn't sign any contracts with them.

After doing a lot of internet research and so forth, I learned that this does happen if companies go belly up. Even though I didn't make any business with the provider of the solar panels, they have a right to put a lien on the property for their merchandise. SunLux provided me the document saying that it was paid in full then they forwarded it directly to the company and I didn't have to do anything further. But it is kind of scary when you're in a contract with a company like this and you get this in the mail, and they don't tell you that this is gonna happen.

The guys that came over were very professional but it took about two months until I went to full production because half my panels were wired incorrectly. They came out once and tried but couldn't figure it out. We had to set another appointment for about three weeks out. Then they sent a crew of two guys. They spent all day and finally found the problem. There was reverse polarity on one of the panels.

Having SunLux, I'm saving a lot of money. My payments for the solar panels might pay the rest of my life for these things but for me, my payments are $170 a month. My average electric and water bill every two months was between 1,100 and 1,600 for a family of three and a swimming pool. The electric portion of it was between 600 and 800. I got air conditioning last year and my bill probably would have been about 1,700 just for electric. Now that we have the solar panels, the most I've paid for electric so far has been $65. It's definitely paying off for me.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Service is one of the key items that I decided to go with SunLux and quality is one of them too. The sales guy was very approachable, responsive and always available for me if I have questions. The installation took half of the day. Once our local electricity company approved, they gave me a call right away and said they could come the next day. They came on Saturday morning around 7:00 and it took them until 1 o'clock or 2 o'clock. They cleaned up a little bit then they left. However, there is one issue. Once they had finished, one of my breakers was not being reconnected well. I had to call them to come back to put that back and they were very responsive. The next morning, they came again and fixed that right away. That's a plus for them.

I like SunLux Energy. I like the service that they have right now. Most of the contractors, once you've paid in full, they're gone. They never respond to your call. But SunLux still responds to my call. They still send me text messages every once in a while asking me how the generation is going. I like the way that they make sure their customer is well-satisfied.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

The SunLux reviews that I saw online were consistently good. There have been a few different people who have been involved with ushering us through the process. The initial person I spoke with was more of a sales guy, and then after that was somebody who was assigned as our primary contact for the process of going through and getting the analysis done, getting the license done, and getting the work itself done.

We have one problem at the moment, which is that they said that they were ready to turn on the system. It was a couple weeks ago that they said they were ready to turn on the system and that I should expect to be contacted within three business days by their operations team that would confirm that the system was running, and that I would be able to log in online to my account that had been created to see the statistics of the reporting that the system was running all that. I never got contacted by the operations team, and the online system still shows that the system is not operational. I have a contact who I've been emailing. I'm going to ping her again and see if they can give me an update. Everything else has been great. They did a good job through the whole process. I felt like they were taking good care of us, and doing a good job of staying on top of things.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I'm living in the desert. Solar energy is plentiful. It made more sense to go with it. SunLux had the Panasonic panels that I wanted. They sold the kind of panel that I thought was best. A friend of mine also had used them and liked them. I had done some comparison, and they came up with the best overall deal for what I was looking for. So far, the panels are working great, and I have nothing but good things to say. We bought the system outright. The installation was great. It took a bunch of guys like seven hours. They were very pleasant. They couldn't have been better.

SunLux was, from the get-go, very easy to deal with. When we were waiting to get confirmation from the government agency that has to okay the installation, they kept me up to date. With COVID, people weren't responding as quickly as possible. But I would hear from their representative practically once a week saying, “Still haven't heard anything yet. We'll keep you posted.” It was not her fault but she certainly stayed on top of it. It was excellent customer service. SunLux, overall, is very professional, very communicative and they kept me informed. They got great customer service.

Sunlux Company Information