Get Started

2. Solar Energy

4.5/5 (83 ratings)

About SunLux

Sunlux is a solar energy company that specializes in full-service panel installation, including re-roofing and shingle projects. Customers work directly with a Sunlux advisor to customize their system. The company serves residents in Southern California and Central Texas.

Pros

• Variety of equipment options
  • 25-year performance guarantee
  • Modern, sleek designs

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Not ideal for small installations

Bottom Line

Sunlux's low-profile solar panels blend into a roof. Though prep time can be long, customers are generally pleased with their solar installations. The company provides a comprehensive 25-year warranty and lifetime support.

SunLux Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunLux?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunLux?

Original review: May 17, 2020

I did research and found that SunLux has good Panasonic panels. I called them up to see what proposal they could provide and liked what I heard. There were delays beyond the control of SunLux but they were responsive. Their staff followed up with emails and had good communication. We did both our panels and our roof through them and financed the roofing part. The manager who handled us, Jennifer, was very good. I also dealt with Mike from SunLux and he was very good as well.

Original review: May 16, 2020

The SunLux products were a little bit more than some of their competitors but I was okay with that knowing some of the other pluses. I wanted to go solar because of the environment and then the cost-savings. Also, a friend of mine touted the extra warranty stuff that SunLux had that other people didn’t have. The project is done. We paid outright. But the handymen who came to do a lot of the clean-up work and modifications failed to finish it. They had to move our panel box and they had to redo some stucco but they just haphazardly did it. They were super quick to get out of there. I had to constantly follow up with SunLux. But as far as the customer service reps, they were great. The actual panels are fine and everything works great. Overall, we're happy.

Original review: May 13, 2020

Two years ago, going solar made sense to me and I went with SunLux. They finished the installation in a week and now, I don't get an energy bill anymore. Zero. Somebody came out on a warranty claim about three weeks ago and he did fine. He was very prompt. He did an inspection of the roof and he found some broken tiles. I thought he was going to arrange to have somebody come and fix those, but I haven't heard anything else.

Original review: May 9, 2020

Our bill was too high and so we decided to go solar. We went with SunLux and the installation of our panels went pretty well. Now, I'm able to run the air conditioning when it's hot and not worry too much about the bill.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I recommend SunLux for solar without reserve. Electricity is getting more expensive and their customer ratings and working with them initially for the quotes helped me choose them. My panels got installed in December of 2019 and everyone I dealt with through the whole process, from beginning to end, was very professional. They took care of everything, and there were no surprises. It was exactly as they had advertised. The cost is great as well. I paid less than I expected.

Original review: April 30, 2020

I had a very good and very supportive experience with their rep. I financed the solar panels and the process was pretty straightforward. The installation was good as I expected. It seems to be working fine. I would recommend them.

Original review: April 29, 2020

The installation was a couple of days and it was seamless then it was a couple of days to get the permits as well. It took two weeks for the paperwork from the start to the end and the reps were on top of the process. Everything is good.

Original review: April 27, 2020

They were more flexible than some as far as they were willing to work with me a little bit on equipment and locations. The only complaint that I have in the front end was that there was complete personnel turnover on my project as soon as I started. So I was a little uncomfortable. The salesperson left just as I was gonna sign paperwork, and then the initial project manager left almost as soon as we started. For the most part, the installation was pretty good. But we had one issue with the way the grounding cable was installed and it took us a long time to get it resolved. It could’ve been done right in the first place. It would’ve been easy to do it right in the first place but the guy took a shortcut. He did route it correctly. He just kinda pulled it across our garage and left it there. It wasn’t acceptable. Eventually, he got it fixed. But it took more hassle than I would like.

Original review: April 23, 2020

We had gotten solar on our home and we had wanted to do that in our office, and we saw the opportunity to do it. So, we did it. Everything is going pretty good with SunLux except that the electric company is still charging us. But other than that, the enrollment process wasn’t really difficult. The installation was a little delayed because we had some roofing, but it was okay. I’m satisfied with my solar panels.

Original review: April 18, 2020

4/18/2020. Solar for my house. When purchasing Solar I interviewed about 8 solar companies and I hired SunLux because of their consistent quality of work. These guys would call the night before coming out and tell me that they were coming out in the morning to start the work of installing solar on my house. They showed up right on time, work hard until dusk, never took shortcuts and always keep me informed of what they were doing on any given day. When the city inspector came out I met with him as well and he confirmed what I already new. He said, I see a bunch of Solar companies today installing solar on peoples houses, but these guys do it right every single time and they never take shortcuts. Sunlux is the best and they back up their work with a 30 year warranty bumper to bumper, if anything goes wrong. I will refer them business all day long, Jon.

Original review: April 9, 2020

Sunlux has been an amazing from start to finish. We had an excellent consultation and build for our system based on our past year with the electric company. Everything that followed was on schedule and delivered as promised. We had an excellent project manager that kept us informed of a few schedule changes. (Current state of affairs and rain). The installers were friendly and had great attention to detail. Sunlux delivered everything promised and then some. Highly recommended!

Original review: April 8, 2020

I worked with my salesperson for almost 9 months, comparing Sunlux to 6 other vendors. Adam was patient and answered every question I had. My project had A LOT of moving parts. Starting with a 23-panel system and a new electrical panel. We also needed a new roof (pitched and flat) with radiant barrier and a skylight added. On top of all that, we had 2 other vendors doing lots of other work, all of which had to be done in coordination. This was not an easy project for any of us but in the end, everything looks amazing. Let's not forget the satisfaction of seeing my meter running backwards!!!

Original review: April 8, 2020

I purchased my solar solution from SunLux in early 2019. My sales person, Kyle, was knowledgeable on the various components of the solution and helped me choose the right system for my house. The installation was professionally executed and completed in a few days. SunLux's customer support was also helpful in answering a few questions I had about the system. I haven't had a single issue with my solar...it's been perfect. I would definitely recommend SunLux to my friends and have.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I liked how SunLux's reps had knowledge and they were very professional. Plus, their price and timeline were within what I thought was good. We went with them and everybody I talked to at the company was very helpful. They were very thoughtful in trying to make the process clear, transparent and as easy as possible. There was a bit of a snafu about how I wanted things done at the beginning of the process and their process took longer than I thought. Still, it was relatively easy overall and things got settled.

The installers were very good. I had some specific things I wanted done and there was something from the initial survey of what I wanted different from what the installers got but that got worked out to my advantage. They did a nice job and we're very pleased. SunLux is a big company and it has pros and cons compared to having direct contact with a smaller company. Even so, in the long run, dealing with a company with this much experience in the industry is an advantage.

Original review: April 2, 2020

Going solar helps the environment stuff, but the main driving factor for me was the tax credit. I was gonna have to pay somebody $15,000 either the government or private company, and I chose to pay the private company. I went to several different companies and the industry-standard, in my opinion, is around $3.50 per kilowatt hour. SunLux quoted me $3.29 per kilowatt hour but in my search, I got somebody that was quoting me 2.75 per kilowatt hour. So when I went back to SunLux, I told them about it and their rep sent in the bid. They brought theirs down to 2.77.

The consumer is at a clear disadvantage ‘cause they don’t know what goes into these systems. Once I got into it, I saw that the cost of the material was about $22,000 and there were a couple of days labor for the install. They had to do some running around to submit some stuff, so there was quite a bit of room in there for a profit margin. So, solar is a good thing but it’s a little bit overpriced no matter who’s doing it.

I wanted the Panasonic panels and SunLux got me that. I had some company who tried to push me to a different panel and I said no. Also, there was some discussion between microinverters and traditional inverters with the optimizers that sit on panels. We went back and forth about that a little bit. They were pushing hard on the regular inverters with the optimizers and we got to the point where it wasn’t worth hassling about it anymore. The size of the traditional inverters has shrug down quite a bit from a few years back, so it’s not quite as unsightly and the system seems to operate fine.

Original review: April 1, 2020

Analysis of FIVE different Solar companies CONTRACTS/Agreements (Not salesperson promises), I found SunLux to be heads and shoulders above the others. That proved true in; price, install, and service. They were the ONLY Solar company that truly warranted the WHOLE process AND the equipment! Install is over a year ago, and I can attest, I'm glad I went with SunLux

Original review: March 29, 2020

I got several bids for my solar and Sunlux was, by far, the most professional. The bid was perfectly clear, and the service has been ongoing and excellent for the whole year since my install. The Sunlux people even remember my home! There were some technical difficulties during the "turn-on" timeframe and the technicians were over-the-top friendly and open about what was going on. I never had any doubt that they were on top of the tasks that got my solar up and running. They even gave me a free fuse upgrade to the house so that I could get the MAXIMUM juice to my EV charger, any time of day or night. That was very thoughtful and professional. Kudos to the sunlux team for a perfect experience.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I wanted to save on my energy bill so I decided to go solar. Initially, we were with a different solar provider and then I switched to SunLux. They were local and they had good reviews. Their rep was informative and helpful. Everything went well during installation. Once we finished repairing the product, I felt pretty confident with it. It's working better now than it was prior. I definitely recommend SunLux.

Original review: March 20, 2020

We were doing a remodel and figured that it would be beneficial for us to add solar to lower our expenses. Mutual friends referred SunLux to us and the enrollment process was very smooth. Everything went according to plan with the installation. Everybody at SunLux is great. So far, we've only paid the monthly fees. We’ve never had a bill that we’ve owed on since we installed.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

We looked at multiple companies for solar over a year. Sunlux was professional from the first point of contact. Between their customer service, installers and employees everyone was helpful and respectful. Getting solar was the best decision we made and I would highly recommend Sunlux.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

We interviewed 3 different solar companies but chose Sunlux. Excellent customer service, as they take it to the next level. Quick to respond and always trying to go above and beyond to help their customer. Even 2 years after install they are just a phone call away. Always available to answer all our questions and concerns. Love their service.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

Salesperson was very knowledgeable. Price was good. Installation was quick and neat installers did a great job. Technical support is a little lacking. Technical support takes a long time to respond back which caused me to call another company to help answer my questions.

Hi Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We strive for 5 star customer service so we will take a look at the technical support aspect of our company to make sure standards are being met. I am glad that your overall experience was pleasant. Thank you for choosing Sunlux Tim!

Sunlux Customer Service

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I waited a year to see how my son's solar experience went. We received 3 bids... Sunlux because reviews and KFI spots. Solar Max because of son's experience and Vivint because of neighbor. Even though Sunlux was a wee bit more than the other 2, we felt Sunlux was a better bang for the buck. Here is a letter grading system we have given each process.

Sales: Chris **... Excellent! A+
Stucco repair work... Excellent! A+
After Install touch up. Good B+
Customer Service. Garrett **. A+

Southern California Edison. F-

If you are thinking solar, I would recommend Sunlux. 4 1/2 stars, SCE.. 0 stars.

SunLux response

We appreciate the kind words, Steve and Diane . I see that you had a few options to choose from, so thank you for choosing us. We pride ourselves in keeping that "better bang for the buck" mentality and we're aiming for straight A's on that next solar-report card!

Respectfully,

Sunlux Customer Care

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I have had nothing but a great experience with SunLux. The system looks awesome and is working great. Everyone I have dealt with throughout this process has been fantastic. The communication has been perfect. So far I am producing way over what I am using.

Hi Tim,

I am so happy you had such a pleasant experience with Sunlux! Producing way more than you are using is just icing on the cake. Thank you for choosing Sunlux!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

We spoke with about 5 different solar companies and we liked Tracy at Sunlux the best! Getting started was super easy, and once the black panels were installed, they looked amazing and blended right into our black roof. Danielle was a fantastic project manager and was super responsive, informative, and had excellent follow-up. The most satisfying part is when you start to see your panels producing the first day!

Hi Jason,

Thank you so much for choosing Sunlux when you had researched so many other options. We know just how much competition there is, so we strive to set ourselves apart from the crowd. I'm glad Danielle's communication was exceptional. We want to provide excellent customer service at all times!

Sunlux Customer Service

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

SunLux responded to my internet inquiry to have batteries installed on an existing 16kW Solar System. The owner himself advised he would investigate the best battery options and make a recommendation. Rather than call me back, he had an in-house sales assistant text me, stating: "we cannot do any work because you have structures that are not permitted." When trying to reach out to the owner to learn what he was talking about, there was radio silence. This is absolutely incorrect and give me concern about their business plan & ethics.

SunLux response

We wanted to thank you for you valuable feedback. We apologize for the miscommunications. We are continuing to improve our processes when interacting with our customers. We want you to have the best customer experience.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

We had a solar energy system that wasn’t working and got SunLux Energy instead. We wanted to own it in the end so we financed it. They handled everything very well and we didn’t have to worry about anything. Moreover, the installation crew was all perfect. The final product works, which was all we wanted.

Hi Adam,

Thank you for choosing Sunlux for your solar installation. I'm glad we were able to ease the process so that you were not experiencing any unnecessary stress. Our goal is always to make sure the final product is working perfectly. Thanks Adam.

Customer Service

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I have had these panels on my roof for 6 weeks and they still don't work. First team shows up no plans and did not call 888 DIG, second hits my water line and tried to "glue" it back together, third team just went home forth team used wrong wire. I just failed my inspection. I am out $25,000 for a system that does not work. I have taken multiple days off from work for no reason. If I could give negative stars in my review I would.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Sunlux gave me a competitive offer solar, customized it based on my usage and future plans, and made sure to fix the small problems that arose. The installers were friendly and helpful and when I had question they answered all of them quickly and completely. Great job!

Hi Marcus,

We always try to assure our prices are competitive and our customer service is unmatched. We have a dedicated install team that holds a lot of pride in the work they do, so I am happy you experienced the qualities we strive for. Thank you for choosing Sunlux!

Sunlux Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I went with SunLux because they sound like they offer a good deal. I decided to go solar because I wanted to save some money, and because of the California law which wanted by 2020 to become solar. My agent was helpful the whole time through the start until the end. I sent all the stuff to him and if I had question, I called him. He then always called me back and explained everything to me. The installation went really quickly too. When they said what day, they showed up at that time, and finished the installation in one day. Overall, I'm saving some money and I'm happy with it.

Celso,

Thank you for choosing Sunlux! Our company recognizes the increasing demand for solar energy and the benefits it provides to our customers, so we try to move the installation process as quickly and efficiently as possible. We're happy you experienced a quick install and smooth overall process.

Respectfully,