Get Started

2. Solar Energy

4.5/5 (83 ratings)

About SunLux

Sunlux is a solar energy company that specializes in full-service panel installation, including re-roofing and shingle projects. Customers work directly with a Sunlux advisor to customize their system. The company serves residents in Southern California and Central Texas.

Pros

• Variety of equipment options
  • 25-year performance guarantee
  • Modern, sleek designs

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Not ideal for small installations

Bottom Line

Sunlux's low-profile solar panels blend into a roof. Though prep time can be long, customers are generally pleased with their solar installations. The company provides a comprehensive 25-year warranty and lifetime support.

SunLux Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunLux?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunLux?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I have been pleased with SunLux. It just started to kick in and the bill is considerably lower. I had one issue with them. After they did the stucco work to my side of my house, they didn't match the paint very well and they didn't paint well. Whoever came out was very sloppy. I took some pictures and I sent the pictures to them. They came out the very next day and fixed it up. They were very quick to respond to an issue that I had with them.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

The sales representative was very knowledgeable and helpful. We went with SunLux because of the advertisements and the guaranteed production. The installation was good. There was one hiccup though. It also took a while to get fixed, but eventually, it was fixed to my satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

SunLux seemed the best fit for us. They were really kind when I called them. The rep explained everything in detail without being patronizing. He was really helpful with setting it all up. Then the person I worked with the most was Berlin and she was amazing. She would email and call and was on top of everything. They were great. I appreciate them.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

We talked to three different providers and SunLux gave us the best presentation and explained things more than the other ones. Installation went smooth and they were done in no time. The reps were great as well. We're happy.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I saw a neighborhood family install the solar panel with the SunLux. So, I got the number and I called. I was in touch with Adam, the salesperson, and I was very impressed with his explanation. He was very responsible. And then later on, everything went smoothly, but the pandemic made things go much slower. My project is very simple but it did not pass the local permit department for the first time, then SunLux had to resubmit the plan. I was surprised to find that out. I waited for a long time. That was a little disappointing. The project started in October 1st. Three months should have been enough to finish by the end of 2020, but it did not until February 8. Everything else looked fine. Somebody kept me updated frequently, so I like that part.

At first, I was able to get in touch with the project manager directly. But lately, it has been always like nobody doesn’t pick up and then it automatically leaves a message. That is a frustrating experience. I will try to call my project manager again because I know the first payment is due on March 9th, and so far, I’m anxious to know where shall I send my first check to.

SunLux told me to use the LG if I'm going to choose a particular panel. I was using that, where each panel has its own inverter. But then the contract has an individual item of inverter. And then later on, they told me there was a modification. There should be no change. But because LG has its own individual inverter, so I thought there should be either price deduction or a better explanation on why the modification was done. They told me they were all using Panasonic. But then after a bit in progress, they told me they were going to offer the LG because they have a contract with them. That's a little hiccup that I would like to have a little clearer explanation. I would still recommend this company happily if somebody wanted to install that in the near future.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I wanted to be as independent of the electrical grid as I could be. I had done part of the house with solar and I had a Tesla battery. But I realized that I was generating about half the power I needed to offset my power bill. So, I called SunLux and had them come to double what I already had. And that brought me to net zero on my electric bill. In fact, Edison sent me a check last year, so I appreciated that.

Aside from that, I had concerns with the company that I had used before with the quality of their workmanship, but SunLux stressed that their workmanship would be excellent, and it was. They said that they would run the cables through the attic and not over the top of the roof, which made it more pleasant to the eye, so I was very happy. They also tied my Tesla battery into the system so that I've got the two solar systems and the Tesla battery all connected together.

I started the process with SunLux a year ago and they got the installation done beautifully. But it took a long time to get the permission to operate, so I kept calling them to ask what was holding it up. They said that it was Edison that was holding it up, so it took a couple of months after the installation before I could turn the system on. Other than that, I love the solar system that I've got. Plus I drive a plug-in hybrid car, so my car basically runs on sunlight. I charge it in my garage overnight and I drive it to work, then I can plug it in where I work to drive home. So, if I've decided to work at home, I don't ever have to buy any gasoline.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

My parents have solar on their house and they’ve had it for 30 years now. They've known all the benefits. When me and my wife got our home, we wanted to go ahead and put solar on it as well and we found out about SunLux. There was another neighbor in our community who had solar as well and he worked with SunLux. He highly recommended them. So, we went ahead and got a call from SunLux and that worked out. The enrollment process was quick. It took about a week because we were adamant to get started. The installation and everything was fine. It was afterwards, through the inspections that had to be done, there was a little bit of miscommunication. But nothing too bad. It just delayed things by a week or so because they didn't seem to be on the same page together. In going solar, the benefit is almost immediate and we see it’s producing. The bill went down and everything seems to be working.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I saw some advertising for SunLux over KFI and I trust those guys. I also heard Bill Handel talking about it for a long time, so I decided to give it a shot. Their team was good. I dealt with Adam for a while, then he passed me on to Jennifer. She followed through with all the steps from the planning to when they came out to assess the roof structurally and through DWP. It was nice and I enjoyed everything about it. Aside from that, the installation was very quick. It was done within two days since they had to change one of the patterns and they had to reroute the power lines for something. The system was hooked up on June 10th and was generating power from day one when SunLux left, but DWP didn't officially hook it up until about a month later. All in all, I'm happy with my system.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

The rep had everything presented through a PowerPoint thing. He showed me everything on the computer like how I can either through the phone or the computer and track the panels if they are all functioning. I can track how much it’s doing a day. He said, “If you wanted to see individual panels, you can actually click on this and it will show you that everything’s working, or if something's not, what panel isn't.” For every question I had, he was able to walk me through it. It was pretty simple and I could trust him right away. It was a good experience. When I requested a few changes, the rep was able to help me with it right away. The only thing on my end is I haven't made the time to call in and try to get the system set up. While I was going through the process, I talked to my regional manager about SunLux and he ended up getting it too. Even though he started his process two weeks later, he got his a couple of days before I did. It’s no big deal though. He just got lucky in the timing.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

My meeting with the sales representative was done online via Zoom and he was able to present the background of the company, options for the house, and an overview of the process, should I decide to move forward with them. He went through a basic design and potential, given my location, and gave an overall pricing review and the various guarantees associated with it. SunLux's warranties and guarantee seemed longer than some of the other solar providers around the area. I decided to move forward with them and go with the in-house financing for that.

The purchase was fairly easy. Everything was done online, via phone calls, or through web meetings until they needed to come out and do an in-person project review to take a look at the site by one of the project managers. Between when the equipment was actually installed took a couple of weeks. The main holdup was the permitting process. Given the slowdowns with the city, that took a lot longer than we had anticipated. We were originally supposed to do the install in November and we didn't end up getting the approval to do it until early January.

Once everything was installed, the city came out and did the inspection within a week. They were able to get the system approved and going. Then, the process with SoCal Edison was another two weeks at the outset. It took 10 days tops to get the permit to operate and go live. It's been live for about a month now and I wish that the app to monitor the production was better. These are LG panels so it's an LG app and the app doesn't work for the phone so I have to do it online. It's a cumbersome system. But the actual energy production seems to be on par. My first month's bill has come back, and it was like $20 from the Electric Company, which is pretty nice.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

SunLux's reps were very helpful and always available. Anytime they didn't answer the phone, they called back pretty quickly. The installation of my panels was very easy. They went in in about a day. The only part that took a little while was getting them actually turned on but that was us waiting for the electric company to get their paperwork in order. SunLux did a good job and they're very professional, thorough, and prompt. The technology they have behind their sales rep to help give me a good idea of how efficient the panels are going to be was a very neat modeling software. It made me feel more confident about the information they're giving me. I'd recommend them if anyone asks me.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

I had a very pleasant experience with the rep of SunLux. He was very knowledgeable and he answered all of my questions to my satisfaction. When I went with the financing of my solar panels, I went with a different company, Sunrun so that means that SunLux still does not have the financing business 100%. It would greatly improve their company's products and service if they can finance customers on their own. But SunLux helped me through the financing process. The installation team was also very respectful. I knew what was going to go on and it went exactly as planned.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

What stood out for me about SunLux was they also have a roofing company, which at the time, I needed to redo my roof. So, they gave me the package deal. The service seemed really well. I worked with Adam who was the lead manager on the project. He was amazing. I definitely recommend him. SunLux also has very reasonable pricing. They were also very honest and always responding back to calls. So we ended up doing two homes with them. What I appreciated about them was their response and due diligence to satisfy the customer. If I said, “Oh, kinda like this,” they were on it.

We ended up financing the solar panels and it was really fair because the funds were released, and the partial, because of where they were with the process. Then the final payment was released from the lender when the project was finished based on my satisfaction. That was really well-done and I was very happy with that.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

The customer service with SunLux Energy is outstanding. They're constantly on top of everything. They kept me apprised of every step that was being taken. My project manager, Berlin, was fantastic. What's shocking was that they buy the panels from a distributor and they don't tell you what it is. Once we were into the project, I got a certified letter stating that if SunLux doesn't pay their bill, I'm getting a $14,000 lien put on my house. It never happened because they did pay it but I was very aggressive at first with these people thinking I didn't do business with them. I didn't sign any contracts with them.

After doing a lot of internet research and so forth, I learned that this does happen if companies go belly up. Even though I didn't make any business with the provider of the solar panels, they have a right to put a lien on the property for their merchandise. SunLux provided me the document saying that it was paid in full then they forwarded it directly to the company and I didn't have to do anything further. But it is kind of scary when you're in a contract with a company like this and you get this in the mail, and they don't tell you that this is gonna happen.

The guys that came over were very professional but it took about two months until I went to full production because half my panels were wired incorrectly. They came out once and tried but couldn't figure it out. We had to set another appointment for about three weeks out. Then they sent a crew of two guys. They spent all day and finally found the problem. There was reverse polarity on one of the panels.

Having SunLux, I'm saving a lot of money. My payments for the solar panels might pay the rest of my life for these things but for me, my payments are $170 a month. My average electric and water bill every two months was between 1,100 and 1,600 for a family of three and a swimming pool. The electric portion of it was between 600 and 800. I got air conditioning last year and my bill probably would have been about 1,700 just for electric. Now that we have the solar panels, the most I've paid for electric so far has been $65. It's definitely paying off for me.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Service is one of the key items that I decided to go with SunLux and quality is one of them too. The sales guy was very approachable, responsive and always available for me if I have questions. The installation took half of the day. Once our local electricity company approved, they gave me a call right away and said they could come the next day. They came on Saturday morning around 7:00 and it took them until 1 o'clock or 2 o'clock. They cleaned up a little bit then they left. However, there is one issue. Once they had finished, one of my breakers was not being reconnected well. I had to call them to come back to put that back and they were very responsive. The next morning, they came again and fixed that right away. That's a plus for them.

I like SunLux Energy. I like the service that they have right now. Most of the contractors, once you've paid in full, they're gone. They never respond to your call. But SunLux still responds to my call. They still send me text messages every once in a while asking me how the generation is going. I like the way that they make sure their customer is well-satisfied.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

The SunLux reviews that I saw online were consistently good. There have been a few different people who have been involved with ushering us through the process. The initial person I spoke with was more of a sales guy, and then after that was somebody who was assigned as our primary contact for the process of going through and getting the analysis done, getting the license done, and getting the work itself done.

We have one problem at the moment, which is that they said that they were ready to turn on the system. It was a couple weeks ago that they said they were ready to turn on the system and that I should expect to be contacted within three business days by their operations team that would confirm that the system was running, and that I would be able to log in online to my account that had been created to see the statistics of the reporting that the system was running all that. I never got contacted by the operations team, and the online system still shows that the system is not operational. I have a contact who I've been emailing. I'm going to ping her again and see if they can give me an update. Everything else has been great. They did a good job through the whole process. I felt like they were taking good care of us, and doing a good job of staying on top of things.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I'm living in the desert. Solar energy is plentiful. It made more sense to go with it. SunLux had the Panasonic panels that I wanted. They sold the kind of panel that I thought was best. A friend of mine also had used them and liked them. I had done some comparison, and they came up with the best overall deal for what I was looking for. So far, the panels are working great, and I have nothing but good things to say. We bought the system outright. The installation was great. It took a bunch of guys like seven hours. They were very pleasant. They couldn't have been better.

SunLux was, from the get-go, very easy to deal with. When we were waiting to get confirmation from the government agency that has to okay the installation, they kept me up to date. With COVID, people weren't responding as quickly as possible. But I would hear from their representative practically once a week saying, “Still haven't heard anything yet. We'll keep you posted.” It was not her fault but she certainly stayed on top of it. It was excellent customer service. SunLux, overall, is very professional, very communicative and they kept me informed. They got great customer service.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

Southern California Edison was getting out of control with their rates and their charges. So, that's too expensive. I was looking through some research. I came down to two companies. SunLux was one of them. Then, when I talked to them, they seemed like a better choice. They had some better warranties. Everything was good with their customer service. I'm very satisfied.

Original review: July 24, 2020

They are actually very good for solar panel. Actually best, their qualified workers are really good. Their service was really amazing. I just loved it. Their behavior was quite good and they are pretty much professional.

Original review: July 8, 2020

The entire Sunlux team has been incredible from start to finish. During the sales presentation, there was no uncomfortable upselling or pressure by Chris. The installation process managed by Jen was seamless, and whenever there was an issue (all issues were minor) she took considerable effort to ensure our care and solve the problem. The roof and the panels look fabulous and they are producing as expected - we couldn’t be happier!! We received 3 other quotes for the project and Sunlux beat the competition in every category, which actually made me a bit nervous, but after going through the whole project, I am blown away that they exceeded my expectations. I would highly recommend Sunlux and Troy Roofing for any project you might have. Thanks Garrett and the entire Sunlux crew!!

Original review: July 7, 2020

I got three quotes on solar and they were all over the place. They were all like $10,000 difference, $15,000 difference. I decided I didn't know enough to actually get solar yet because I didn't know what it should cost. I found a website and I was able to compare four different companies in terms of what inverter they use and what price per kilowatt. This website made it so easy to compare the four companies across the board and it made sure I was comparing apples to apples. SunLux had the best reviews and one of the better prices.

Customer service was amazing and they exceeded my expectations on everything. We love our solar and I would love to share with people my experience with SunLux. They were beyond amazing. I had an inspection and I was out of town. I was trying to make it home so I could meet the inspector. SunLux had sent somebody out and he pretty much waited there for the inspector. I didn't have to deal with the inspector at all and made it so easy for me.

Original review: July 4, 2020

SunLux has the best price from a couple of companies I got a call from. The customer service of SunLux was good. I really didn't have any complaints at all. However, they had a rebate, like a tax break, that I didn't really understand. But besides that, everything went well.

Original review: July 3, 2020

Suxlux installed my solar array almost 3 years ago. I am very happy with the production of my system and have produced enough energy for my growing family and I. I gave them a call recently because I was thinking about getting an electric car and wanted additional panels to be installed. Adam ** and Garrett ** has been extremely helpful and very responsive.

They took a look at my bill and didn’t try to sell me/oversell me on the panels THAT I wanted. They advised that since I was producing MORE energy then what I needed all I needed was Consumption Monitoring to see hour by hour how much energy I was producing and how much energy I was using. This would help me monitor my system to coincide with my SCE TOU plan to see if I even need more panels with the electric car. They came and installed the Enphase Consumption CT’s in under an hour. It was quick and they cleaned up after themselves. I was up and running again and checking my Enphase app every hour. Now I can charge my electric car at night when electricity is the cheapest and I might not even need more panels!

Original review: July 2, 2020

My experience with SunLux was wonderful. The person that was assigned to work with me was Jennifer. Jennifer did a great job in coordinating with me and making sure I understood the next steps. They were good and they fought for my business. The other guys were trying to match what they did. I came to the ultimate decision that if you couldn't come up with what they came up with, you don't deserve to take their business. One of the things they did for me was I recently bought an EV vehicle and they threw in a level two inverter for this vehicle, which is gonna save me tons of hours of charging. They rock. Then the owner called me when I was getting ready to go with another company, who actually tried to match theirs. I liked them. I was so happy with my experience with them.

Original review: July 1, 2020

I was trying to get our energy costs lower because of early retirement. We had a gentleman from SunLux Energy come out and he did an excellent job. We liked his sales presentation so we decided to go with it. Every interaction that I had with every person that worked for the company from the salesperson all the way through the people that came out and did the inspection of our roof had to coordinate with my roofer to get the system in place and that went well. They were all professional. But I wished the process of getting the system in would've been a little bit faster from start to finish. Permits had to happen and there were a lot of different players came in. There was a lot of cooperation and everybody was professional. They didn’t leave my yard with a lot of rubbish or anything like that. So, I was quite satisfied with the way everybody conducted themselves.

We put some money down and then we did the financing. There seemed to be enough options to accommodate us for what we needed. So, everything went well. For the first couple of months, everything seems to be really well. The system is producing enough energy and it’s accomplishing everything that has been promised to us. SunLux did a good install job. The system looks beautiful and it works. Overall, I’m very happy with the experience and I have referred a couple of people to SunLux.

Original review: June 24, 2020

I'm glad I didn't give up on my solar project because I almost did. Back in 2019, I was ready to move ahead with the project and went to Energysage.com get quotes. I've had over 10 quotes and I actually even signed up with another installer at the time (not SunLux) and started the project. Then shortly after the project started I was told they discovered my roof had issues so the project was cancelled. I cancelled in part 1) the installer didn't do roofing and I didn't want to deal with multiple contractors and 2) the unexpected cost in the project. And apparently, the installer wasn't too excited about either, it seem. I guess most installers out there just want the easy installs but that's not the real world out there.

I all but had given up. Then 6 months later I decided I give it another try and recalled Sunlux had given me a quote prior but never follow on it. Explained my situation to Tracy, my Sunlux consultant and he said my roof is certainly not an issue. He was very responsive to my needs, customized a system that I want and even had a great suggestion on the panel placement. How it looks is as important as the power.

So with contract signed, this is typically where most solar project fall apart (right?) and this is what I heard from my neighbors with their solar project from a different installer. Nope, not with Sunlux. The project moved quickly and it stayed that way. I got coordinated with the project manager Jennifer and she made sure all my concerns were addressed. Even with Covid, the project took no more than 3 months and the bulk of the wait is with permitting. Very happy with the overall install experience, pricing, and service. If you have a roof issue like mine I highly recommend you give Sunlux a try. Highly recommended!

Original review: June 20, 2020

The stock market was at 30,000, so we had a little extra money. I happened to get a glance at our electric bill, and I thought it was pretty high. I had been considering solar for a very long time, but it seemed it just got to a point where it was pretty efficient. It made sense that if I waited any longer, I'd be too old to buy. I was talking to SunLux and Sunrun, but it really was a matter of price and salespeople to a certain extent. I was going to go with Sunrun because they were affiliated with Costco, and I thought I'd have some recourse if we had problems. But when we ventured into it, the SunLux salesperson was much more knowledgeable and upfront than the other guy, and then they sweetened the deal by putting in a level 2 plug for electric car charger in my garage.

The whole process took almost two months from the time we’d signed the contract until the time it was turned on. A lot of that delay was waiting for the city to come take a look and sign off. The installation took a day. Solar always seems to make sense. My calculations say that we’ll break even in seven years. So, it's like prepaying your electric bill. It certainly is good for the environment. I'm also fascinated with the technology. In the morning, I wake up, and the first thing I do is go to the application where I can see how much energy we produced so far today.

There was a gal in the office, her name was Berlyn. She was holding my hand as we went through the process with the city, and she kept me up-to-date on exactly what was happening. She would go back and remind them that they hadn't done their job yet and she just communicated perfectly. Then after it was installed, there was another gentleman who called me to make sure everything was going correctly. The support was excellent. Everybody was friendly and knowledgeable.

Original review: June 19, 2020

We have had our solar with Sunlux for 8 months now. We are extremely happy with the solar production and customer service. Everybody I've talked to has been very helpful, patient and knowledgeable. Solar is a huge investment and I feel good knowing that Sunlux will be there for us for the long haul.

Original review: June 9, 2020

We just had installation completed and couldn't be happier! Sunlux was patient while we decided on what financing we want to use. Everyone we dealt with was professional, helpful and friendly. The installation was seamless. I would recommend them to anyone!

Original review: May 19, 2020

The project manager did a great job. The panels are in a good area and in a good position with the direct sun. I’m still looking at the cost because it’s been roughly a couple of months. But so far, so good. I think it’s gonna work out great. I'm very happy.

SunLux Company Information