4.6/5 (79 ratings)

About Sunlux

Sunlux is a solar energy company that specializes in full-service panel installation, including re-roofing and shingle projects. Customers work directly with a Sunlux advisor to customize their system. The company serves residents in Southern California and Central Texas.

Pros

• Variety of equipment options
  • 25-year performance guarantee
  • Modern, sleek designs

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Not ideal for small installations

Bottom Line

Sunlux's low-profile solar panels blend into a roof. Though prep time can be long, customers are generally pleased with their solar installations. The company provides a comprehensive 25-year warranty and lifetime support.

Sunlux Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunlux?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunlux?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

The engineer that I first talked to was very knowledgeable, and he had a system himself. I had a few drawbacks, and I didn't know how it would work, but he could answer all my questions. He was very good. Alex, the project coordinator, kept me up to date and worked around my schedule. The staff that came out here were very professional, and they did their job well. So far, I've been producing more than I'm using. The cost of the service is very fair, because I know the electric company is going to be increasing.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

The sales rep was very good but the installation crew was very bad. There are still some things that need to be installed in our yard that has not been installed. The things are just laying there. We were told about a month ago that the crew was going to come back and we never heard back.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

The production at the outset was phenomenal. The installation was great with some hiccups along the way with a couple of things that slowed things down. Some of that was management on their side and some were supply chain related. But they're doing a good job.

Original review: July 11, 2021

The project manager, Bonnie **, worked conscientiously to make the project easy for me. She prepared all the documents for my HOA to review on my behalf, and because she knew what she was doing, my application was approved with no hesitancy on the HOA's part. She answered every question I asked and did so usually on the same day I would email. After the project was completed, she still connected with me to make sure I was still happy and being well served by the new equipment.

Original review: June 30, 2021

Our servers were shutting down all the time, and so we were losing a lot of data every time they shut down. One of the solutions was to get solar and we were already looking into solar, so it kind of worked out. SunLux was a recommendation. Their representatives were very responsive. Installation took less than a week, but it was pretty smooth. The cost of the service is fairly competitive. Go for SunLux.

Original review: June 24, 2021

I did some research on the panels and SunLux was using better stuff. I had them install a large system and it went well. It took three days and their reps were very professional. Good group of guys. Good workers. Good guys.

Original review: June 17, 2021

SunLux kept me informed all the way through the purchase and installation process. I was informed of various changes in the status or things like when it went to permitting and when they were gonna come in and install or do the measurements. There was one day when I wasn't at the house as I was supposed to be and they turned up to do the initial survey. But we managed that remotely, which was wonderful because I didn’t have to leave work. From that point on, it was seamless.

They had to put a new breaker box on the property and they had to take out the old one. They took out part of the outside wall to get the new one in but that couldn't be covered up or made good straightaway until the city had inspected it, which was going to be about two weeks. They covered it with an awning and it kept it all dry and safe. As soon as the city had inspected it, they came and made good, the wall. Right now, you couldn't even tell it had been taken apart. They did a great job.

Original review: June 16, 2021

Three companies called me to give me a quote. When I reviewed the quote from SunLux and the equipment that was gonna be placed, I liked it a lot better. It was not the price that I liked but the system. It was a better option for me. It was going to be LG panels, and they were going to be 375 watts each panel. They were going to be providing 7.5 kilowatts.

The SunLux representatives were helpful, knowledgeable and pretty professional. The salesperson had a really good communication. Also, the project manager was always in contact with me. I got 19 panels because they were gonna provide the energy that they promised that they were gonna get me. The installation went pretty smoothly.

Original review: June 15, 2021

When I talked to the SunLux representative, he was very informative. He talked to me to get me exactly what I was looking for. So, it really worked out. Because of COVID, a lot of our interactions were mostly over the phone and emailing back and forth, but he was very quick to respond to me. He covered a lot of good options, and I was able to make a good decision with the options he gave me. Unfortunately, it's not a smooth process for anybody. I don't think any company would have done better. Any delays and stuff that we had were really from our city. It wasn't really from SunLux themselves. They did really good.

We went with 16 panels. From talking to my agent, we looked at what I used the prior year. Then, he gave me a recommendation. From there, I gave him my input. We decided that 16 was going to be adequate for my house. The panels were just turned on like halfway through the cycle. I noticed that I am taking in a lot of energy from the sun because I monitor it through my LG app. But I haven't really seen a bill with it in full effect for the whole month. So, from what I've seen right now, it's right on track to pretty much close to get me to almost no energy consumption from the grid. It's doing what I wanted it to do. So, so far, I'm pretty happy with it.

The only little thing was when the installers came, I didn't like the way something was done and I asked them to fix it. They said, “Oh, it’s not going to be an issue. Don't worry about it.” I felt like, “I'm the owner. I'm the guy. I just want you to tweak this to the left a little bit. Just tweak it to the left a little bit.” It wasn't anything emergent. It was just a conduit connection to one of the panels. My concern was that it was a little bit crooked and they didn't have a good seal. He checked it. He said it had a good seal. But I just felt like it was petty. I just felt like if I was the tech, I would have been like, “You know what? If you want to straight, I'll put it straight. You're the guy.” They left it like that. I haven't had any issues with it but I keep my eye on it. Other than that, I do recommend SunLux. My neighbors have been asking, so I've been giving them their number. I need to put them in my referral since I can get credits.

Original review: June 12, 2021

My experience with SunLux was good until they sent me an email calling me sir. I wrote back and said, “How many men do you know named Nancy?” And then, they also sent me another email saying that my wife is a mister as well. I told them to get their pronouns right or I'm not gonna do it. The company sent something out to all their employees and reacted very positively to my feedback. Everyone’s been very supportive of me after I told them about that. They stepped up, and I appreciated it.

Original review: June 11, 2021

I'm waiting to find out some issue that has developed where I'm not being given much information so it's confusing. Other than that, the whole process has gone very well with SunLux. Even though the installation is done, Bonnie, the main person who was handling my inquiries, is very responsive if there's an additional issue. This falls outside of her purview at this time. There were some broken tiles but they were repaired and SunLux got everything up and running.

Original review: June 10, 2021

I evaluated a few other vendors and the bottom line that came up was the pricing for the same product. Even though SunLux was 15% higher, based on the customer feedback, it looked like their system had more pros than cons. Their reps were very eager to keep all the work on schedule and when there was an inspection issue, they tried to get it resolved ASAP. But after everything was installed, it sounded like when I sent them some email, there was a lag on their response. Or maybe that was because the equipment is LG and they don't know the LG product too much.

Other than that, the system looks pretty good from the outside and I'm happy with what I got. We're in Southern California, so we have most of the sunny day and I can really generate more electricity than what I consume. That's the goal and I don't care about how much I make from the solar. We are not abusing the electricity, but now, there’s less concern about using the electricity. I have 13 panels for about five kilowatts and even though that sounds less, the new product has high efficiency of generating the power. It's for a 22-square foot house and that's enough for me.

Original review: June 9, 2021

When I reached out to a couple of solar companies, SunLux was pretty responsive and I decided to go with them. The sales process was straightforward. They came out, did an analysis, and sent it to me. They followed up a couple times and it took me a few months to pull the trigger. Then, during the whole process, they were fairly communicative except towards the end. I didn't know if they were transitioning offices but there was about a two-week period where I couldn't get ahold of anyone. Then, they got ahold of me and I had to escalate something to a couple of people. I finally got ahold of them and they did the final connection thing.

Original review: May 27, 2021

SunLux is a good deal for the environment. Hopefully, it turns out to be as good as some of my friends have told us theirs has been. However, the installation probably would have been a lot faster if we could get the city to move faster. The process was pretty put together and the city made things slow. They kept me informed along the way as to what was going on. I don't know why it took so long for them to come in and put the meter in. That was several weeks, I don't know why, other than DWP is shorthanded.

Original review: May 14, 2021

I kept on going back and forth and wavering if it was something I wanted to spend that much money on, if I wanted to come out of pocket and pay for it or if I just wanted to finance it. Finally, I thought of financing it, and once I made my decision, everything after that went fast. The people did a good job with the installation. One of the screens was broken so they had to replace that. There was one decision they had where they thought they could move a couple panels, wasn't in the right place, so they called and got the approval through their people and then me about it. I told them if they figure it will be better in this location then that's fine so they moved everything and set it up really quickly.

From the beginning, know how many panels you really need. I expressed that to the guy I was working with. When I looked at everything, it seemed like the amount of panels I got is what I really need, so he developed the system perfectly, above and beyond what I thought. When I look at the charts, I'm producing 33% more than the average people. Once summer hits, I’ll produce a lot more.

Original review: May 13, 2021

They were very responsive to emails and phone calls. The installation guys were great. Everything was easy.

Resolution response: May 17, 2021

Was very pleased that the owner reached out to help find a reasonable solution for both parties. Once the issue was explained, he made sure that the customer walked away happy and I think everyone wins with that in mind.

Original review: May 11, 2021

Went with Sunlux to get a solar system to hook up an electric jacuzzi (that was a mistake right away, should not use electric to heat jacuzzi, not worth it at all, even with solar). I told the salesmen this was the purpose of installing solar, and he said great and led me down the path to obtain solar with Sunlux. My bill went through the roof once I started running my jacuzzi and after multiple attempts, no one at Sunlux is willing to help in anyway... they are literally in it just for the sale, don't waste your time and go with literally any other solar company!!! Also, if you are military, they don't offer any discounts, just FYI...

Original review: April 28, 2021

Their presentation was much better than some of the other folks we talked to. They had a better sense of what they were talking about and were able to portray that to me, who did not know anything about solar. The installation went really well, and really, really quickly. The driver dropped off the incorrect panels but they corrected that. It took him a week to get the new ones. But as soon as they dropped in my driveway, they were right on the house. So there was no problem there. The project manager, Bonnie, was really good. Bonnie and the salesman, Mike, were super great at everything and helping out and helping me understand.

Original review: April 21, 2021

I was very pleased with SunLux Energy. I live in the city of Glendale, California and we must have the most difficult permitting process ever. We started this process on April 23rd of 2020 and it took almost one year to pull the permit just to have SunLux come in and install the solar. We had an original project manager who left the company and kinda left us hanging for a bit. But the next project manager that came in did an excellent job trying to recover and stuck with us throughout the process. I really appreciate that.

They know how to work through the process and they worked very diligently. Everything was installed. All the detailing was done and wrapped it up and commissioned in four to six weeks. It was fast. It’s nice to make your own energy. When they installed it and they commissioned it, we were partially through one cycle and we get billed every other month. I'm waiting for two full months to pass in order to see the benefits but I could tell right now, I've already looked at the kilowatt production per week and per month and we'll be able to pay off the system in pretty quick period of time.

Original review: April 16, 2021

The main factor that played into going with SunLux was a presentation I got from my energy company that installed it, Green Convergence. They were fantastic. They explained to me why SunLux panels were better, as opposed to the other ones. I did about five estimates, and Green Convergence was the only one that presented me with SunLux panels. I did my consumer research, and at the time, they seemed to be the best. I live in California, and my panels are still working probably 99% of what my first year was. I've not had a problem with them. I do have them cleaned professionally every nine months.

From start to finish, everything was fantastic and the personnel was extraordinary. There were a few hiccups and they rectified the situation rapidly. There was a hiccup with getting my rebate from Southern Edison and they're working on that problem now. Unfortunately, with the Tesla Powerwall, I had to wait nine months. Other than that, I'm really, really happy.

Original review: April 8, 2021

The fact that SunLux had been around the longest of the companies that we looked at and where the part of the industry that their founders had come from, and the support and transparency we received on our initial call with them gave us the most confidence that they'd be able to see the project through and provide support even afterward.

The installation crew was a contractor with SunLux. The installation crew was on our job site when we had other people on our job site and myself and my boyfriend who owned the home together. So, the two clients were on the job site and we frequently had to request that they put masks back on, and it felt disrespectful when everyone else on the entire site was wearing masks and having to ask them multiple times. But as far as executing the job, they did a really good job and they were very communicative and the workers were clean.

Based on our former bills, we should be right at a place where we are running about the same amount of money, and I only expect that number to become more disproportionate in our favor, where electrical will continue to get expensive, but our loan stuff will stay the same. We're charging our cars off of it and we have plug-in gas cars and we're driving very little. So, we haven't been having to buy gas, which is awesome. So overall, I feel really good about it. I also appreciate the back-end service, like being able to check on everything beyond just the cost-saving that it's providing. For the money that we spent, we got a good product that felt quality. We got exactly what we were going in for not knowing anything about the process.

Original review: April 3, 2021

The sales rep was great. He was very patient, answered all my questions and concerns, really listened to my wants and needs and came up with a reasonable timetable as to when things would get accomplished. The cost is a little bit higher than norm, but it’s expected because of the quality of work that SunLux does. I’d also give the installation a 7 out of 10 stars. There was one visit where it was unannounced. They always mentioned that there's always gonna be a possibility of cutting of electricity, so we instructed the project manager that we needed to have ample notice for any visits. Being that we have two students doing online studies, as well as my wife working from home, any disruption can be unwarranted. My also wife mentioned that the installers were speaking Spanish but in a very vulgar tone. Other than that, the installation went okay.

Original review: April 1, 2021

We did a virtual visit and the sales rep explained all the benefits of going solar, and how much money I'll be saving in the long run with going solar. He also mentioned the impact on the planet and renewable energy. He was very informative. He answered all my questions. I was very happy with the sales rep that I dealt with. There was some delays with the installation due to COVID and that was understandable. SunLux Energy was always on point as far as informing me of where we were with the installation process, and with the gathering of permits from the City and from my HOA.

The installation crew was great. They came in and explained everything they were going to do. We hardly even heard or saw them because they got in, they did what they had to do, and then they got out. They cleaned up after themselves. The cost of the service was very reasonable. I've got my first electric bill and I'm seeing savings already. From start to finish, it was an awesome experience. SunLux was very professional and informative. They laid out everything for me. Everything that I heard on the radio was spot-on.

Original review: March 23, 2021

We talked with a couple of companies. There was a company where we started to move towards the design phase but the design really did not accommodate our home. We have a Spanish-style home and part of it has a flat roof. Another part is tiled out roofing with classic clay tiles. We wanted to make sure that the investment was going to yield the savings we were seeking. If they were putting in solar and there was not enough solar panels to offset the cost of paying the utility company, it didn't make any sense. They didn't seem to have an alternative. Also, there wasn't any consistency in contact with the customer service so we decided to hold off on that.

We called a local radio host. He's a designer and does construction of homes in California. He has lots of great tips. I said, "Surely, there has to be these panels that have evolved to be smaller, but more powerful." Technology is evolving at least every three years, if not yearly. He recommended SunLux and they're an advertiser. I liked his advice and gave SunLux a call. The engineer or the tech expert walked us through the different products and what decisions we needed to make. We are under the pandemic and it was very easy to show some of the options for us. They had a picture of our house so we could see where the panels might go on our roofing.

From there, they had a financing option that worked really well for us. Every step of the way, the management of the project was well done. There was someone we could contact to help us to be ready for each stage. Everyone was courteous and very professional. That coordinator, Erica, made such a difference in keeping us apprised of what was going on. There was the ease of the financing. They gave us some options of a Tesla battery at the time. There was also LG and the products they offered were state of the art, which was what we were looking for.

We had to make some modifications to the solar panels but SunLux was able to put all the solar panels on our roofing. The modification required them to have some of the panels that would come right at the edge of the roof. We were concerned about that because the way they put those panels in, you walk to our house and you cannot see those panels. I see some people around my neighborhood who have gotten solar panels and when you walk to their house, there are these hideous panels that are right at the front door. It disrupts the aesthetic of the home.

SunLux was able to make the adjustment and they did not have to do a hanging. They were able to work with the roof and reconfigure things. It's lovely. We retained the style of our Spanish home. The architectural integrity was important to us. And in handling all the permits, we really put ourselves in SunLux's hands and they competently accomplished each step. We are very happy with SunLux and really glad to recommend them. They're topflight and they live up to their reputation.

When making a purchase of solar panels, you want to have the right company to know what you want and know how the company manages the process. Their communications and their customer support are absolutely key to guide you through the process. There's a permitting process but how does the company handle it? How professional and courteous are they in communications with you frequently so you know every step of the way? This is the process that SunLux used and gave us confidence.

Original review: March 22, 2021

My sales rep was easy to deal with and he took care of everything on the first call. The installation was great. We started in December and they installed the system in February.

Original review: March 21, 2021

We did a lot of research on what SunLux provided and we even did a table to compare. The price, even though that was not the cheapest, I saw that what they were offering was much better. We also looked at all the reviews that they had and the reviews were better than others. Our HOA took time to approve it, but after that, things went very quickly. All people that were communicating with us and letting us know, including the project manager, were good. The guys that came to install were super professional too. They did the work fast. There was something else that they couldn't complete that day, but they kept communicating when they were going to arrive and things that they still needed to do. They came over and fixed it. As of today, we’re very satisfied. It’s been great.

Original review: March 20, 2021

I looked at a few companies and then decided on SunLux. They had a local office somewhere close by, so they were closer. They are also a smaller company compared to others and price-wise, it was not bad. The person I talked to initially, when they did the sales call, was an older gentleman and he was good. He was an engineer. I had good discussion with him. When I had some issues, I went back to him and he was able to sort it out.

They had too many changes at the project management level that led to some confusion initially. I was talking to one person then a couple of weeks later, he left and somebody else took over. There were some transition issues. Other than that, the experience was good overall. Solar in general is a good option now because of all the rebates and it's working out well, so far, about a month now. I would really recommend to go solar and SunLux is one of the good choices.

Original review: March 19, 2021

SunLux did a great job. Everything went just as promised. They gave a quote saying how much energy would be produced. They picked solar panels that looked to be quality panels (LG). They provided the design, showing the actual house, and that got approval before we went in. It then went in just like they said they would. There was good communication all along the way. The people were also courteous, acted professional and the work looked to be done professionally as well. It's only been about 14 days since, so I haven't realized anything in a bill yet. Only partially last month, which was indeed lower. They've got a program that says how much you're generating and what your average use is. My average use for this month, according to Edison, is 50 kilowatts. I've been producing an average of 65 kilowatts, so we're producing more than what we're using for this time of year.

Original review: March 12, 2021

SunLux is great. They are also cheaper than other providers. The representative gave us a big discount by refusing to take a commission, so really helped us.

Original review: March 4, 2021

I liked the attitude of the person from SunLux I was talking to. He was open to my suggestions on the products’ brands. Everybody was offering brands and I was doing my research. I decided to go with LG. Most of the other people were negative about that. My perception was they want to sell what they were offering. But in this case with this company, he told me, “No problem. Whatever you want.” He researched and he sent me right away the price. He was accommodating to my petitions. He was teaching me how this works. He was also responding almost immediately. We were having good communication. He was a good salesperson.

I was a little bit delayed in the end. But it wasn't the company's fault. It was the city inspectors. They were postponing a couple of times the final inspection. One of the things that I was a little bit disappointed in the end was that I was hoping that SunLux was going to teach me how to monitor. Because they left a device over here and for some reason, the device keeps disconnecting. I haven't been able to get it steadily connected. Another thing that I was expecting was the bill from Southern California Edison. I was expecting that one lower like I’ll get $26. But I've been getting 36. But other than that, it’s going to be aligned. They did a good job.

Sunlux Company Information