2. Solar Energy

San Mateo, CA

4.3/5 (191 ratings)

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

About Complete Solar

Complete Solar offers custom solar solutions unique to your home to deliver optimal energy output with quick, streamlined installation. Its proprietary software platform, HelioQuote, delivers customized solar electric solutions that can save you money. Complete Solar provides no-cost evaluations in California, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts and Utah.

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

Pros

• Custom solar plans
    • Proprietary software platform
    • Fast installations

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Complete Solar's streamlined, cost-effective installation process and custom solar plans are great if you live in a state where it offers services. Its innovative software allows you to get the most out of your solar energy system.

Top Complete Solar Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Complete Solar didn't waste any time and got right to it like they said they were going to do it. We got along well with them and we communicated back and forth. I watched them pu...

Verified

… They gave me all of the information I needed and I am very glad I chose to go to this company. Everyone was very friendly. … They offer good prices and it will pay for itself. I...

About Complete Solar

Complete Solar sells directly to customers, so there is no middleman. It partners with roofing contractors, installers, finance companies and marketing firms to deliver fast, cost-effective products and services.

Prices are competitive within the market, and customers report being satisfied with the quick installation process and friendly customer service reps. Every quote includes a shade analysis, savings projections, blueprints for your solar system and a mockup of how the panels will look on your roof along with a guaranteed price.

Complete Solar costs

Depending on the size of your system and how you decide to pay for it, Complete Solar's solar energy systems cost from $0 to $40,000. The traditional purchase option costs between $20,000 and $40,000 and is ideal for those who don’t mind making a more substantial upfront payment. These systems typically pay for themselves within five to 10 years.

Complete Solar also offers Power Purchase Agreements (PPA) in some states. With a PPA, Complete Solar takes care of designing, installing and maintaining your system for $0 to $500. You agree to purchase the power that the panels generate at a set price. If you have an average energy bill of more than $150 a month, you should start to see reduced utility bills within a month of installation.

Complete Solar installation

Complete Solar installs solar panels on any home and roof type, and its full-service business model means you are taken care of before, during and after installation. The entire installation process takes a few weeks. Complete Solar’s extensive experience with permitting enables the company to streamline the time-intensive process, reduce wait times and paperwork and receive permits faster.

After your home’s individual energy needs are assessed, a Complete Solar expert visits your home to determine how your roof impacts the solar panel installation process. Complete Solar then takes care of all permitting details as well as any rebates or tax incentives that you may benefit from when switching to solar.

Installation work is usually completed two to three days after everything has been approved. Once the panels are installed, the system is inspected by your city’s utility company. When this final inspection is complete, a production meter is installed and your home starts using solar power.

Complete Solar FAQ

What kind of solar panels are available from Complete Solar?
    Complete Solar uses innovative photovoltaic (PV) solar panel systems. This type of system generates electric power by using solar cells to convert energy from the sun into a flow of electrons.
    Does Complete Solar provide a warranty?
    Yes, Complete Solar provides a 20-year warranty on all components, including panels, mounts and inverters.
    Where is Complete Solar available?
    Complete Solar is available in California, Utah, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts.
    Does Complete Solar offer net metering?
    Yes, Complete Solar offers net metering. Net metering allows homeowners to receive full credit for the solar energy they generate.

Do we recommend Complete Solar?

Yes, we recommend Complete Solar. It has earned a reputation in the industry for offering customized solar options for homes and businesses. Its innovative software allows you to get the most out of your solar system, and the company provides fast installation. Complete Solar works with solar sales organizations, installers, roofing experts and contractors, marketing firms and finance companies so that you have everything you need for a seamless transition to solar.

Complete Solar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Complete Solar?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I don't know what happened between the 5 star reviews and all the recent ones but the company has clearly gone downhill fast. As others have said I signed a contract that said the work would be done in 180 days, they stated this length was because of covid and thought it would be done closer to 45 days. It has now been almost been a year since the contract was signed (10/2020 - 09/2021) with still no sign of when it will be operational. Throughout the process, they have:

- Sent the solar panels to the wrong warehouse.

- Failed to design the system in accordance with the state of Massachusetts.

- Failed to respond to the utility company to provide the necessary documentation for the system until repeated calls from me.

- No Showed on the installation date because of the above and didn't say anything to me, I had to call them to find out what was going on.

- They have consistently failed to provide timely updates to the utility company without me constantly reaching out.

- They have consistently failed to respond to my attempts to contact them including attempts via email, text message, phone calls, and voicemail.

- The few times that I did manage to get someone to answer the phone they would tell me they would look into it and have someone get back to me, but they never did.

- I had used a promotion to get a 2yr no interest, no payment loan through Service Finance to pay for half of the system. Service Finance and Complete Solar said the loan needed to be disbursed to Complete Solar after the solar panels were on my roof even though the system still isn't operational. I kept pushing back on releasing the funds because I was worried Complete Solar would be even less responsive once they got their check.

- They having seemingly been dragging their feet finishing the installation after they received the payment from the loan company, Service Finance, so my 2-year promotion period started in 05/2021 even though the system is still not operational as of 09/2021.

- Their "production guarantee" is based on the interconnection date, not the loan disbursement date, so they received their money from the loan but they aren't responsible for the system actually producing power until whenever they finally get around to finishing the installation.

- I have reached out constantly across multiple means of communication and I haven't heard from them since 07/20/2021 and it is now almost 2 months later on 09/14/2021.

I can understand covid might make things harder, and that they also rely on the utility company to respond, which are both things out of Complete Solar's immediate control. However, Complete Solar SHOULD be giving regular updates and responding to communication attempts, and they absolutely SHOULD be responding to the utility company as soon as possible.

I do not understand how these circumstance can be viewed as anything other than Complete Solar funneling people to Service Finance so they can both make money from the loans while Complete Solar drags their feet on the installation. A customer should not need to send weekly emails asking for any sort of update, and should not have to wait 2+ months for any sort of contact. Even with all their supposed warranties and guaranties how can I trust that to mean anything when they can't even be bothered to finish the initial installation? Save your money, save yourself the hassle, go with a different company. If I could go back and do it all over again I would have gone with the more expensive but local company. Don't make the same mistake the rest of us have by trusting Complete Solar

Original review: May 14, 2021

I bought a system from Complete Solar several years ago and they guaranteed production levels. For the first couple of years I received refunds for underperformance. Now production has gotten worse and they are no longer standing behind their guarantee. They are passing the buck to their Clean Power Finance partner that won't return emails or phone calls. Complete Solar's response... 'We're just the installer! Not our problem'! I did't buy the system from Clean Power Finance, I bought it from Complete Solar and their salespeople/experts said my system would meet a minimum and IT DOESN'T! 3 years with no resolution, that's just HORRIBLE in my opinion!

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2021

Consultant promised a guaranteed 1.49% interest and that we could bundle mini-splits into the loan. When we saw the numbers the $15.5K loan for the mini-splits turned into $24K. It was not until I canceled the deal that I was told the loan is subject to a 25% surcharge. Also their cost is higher than a comparable quote from a competitor. I do not trust this company.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

Please do not go with Complete Solar; you will be stuck leaving messages on phones that never get responded to and writing emails that no one seems to read. We signed our contract with Complete Solar on June 5th, 2020; it is now January 19th, 2021 and we still are not up and running. They guarantee an install within 60 days of signing; after constantly emailing them reminding of that, they finally installed two weeks after their deadline. There has been no progress since the install. They outsource all the work to subcontractors who obviously don't care about the reputation of Complete Solar, but Complete Solar doesn't then remedy any of the subcontractor stalling or lack of communication. You're never sure exactly who you should be dealing with.

After waiting on an inspection that never came and not hearing from the subcontractor (Clean Tech) for months, we received an invoice from the subcontractor; Dave ** at Clean Tech told us to not pay it since Clean Tech clearly wasn't doing their job...but then he didn't remedy the situation at all! You'd think they'd be embarrassed enough to immediately hire someone else to finish the job, but instead seem to be at the mercy of Clean Tech like we are.

We went with Complete Solar because they were the cheapest deal, but now that we've missed out on the 2020 tax credit while paying hundreds of dollars in power bills that we thought we'd be done with by now, we have paid much more than we would have if we had gone with a more expensive, more reliable company. Do not make the same mistake we did!

Original review: May 7, 2020

Very easy customer service experience. Has been happy with the service over the past 10 years and I will continue to be a satisfied customer. Thank you. Hope and other customers can find the same comfort and same experience. They work hard to please our customers.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I think customer service could be improved upon. Faster response times for one. Courteous service. Although overall I think this company is really doing a good and efficient job. The warranty could definitely be longer for the product to be worth it.

Original review: July 5, 2019

Three years ago I had my system installed by another company but before the install was complete the company went bankrupt. Fast forward till now, I made contact with Complete Solar and in particular Richard and Christine at the home office and they took care of me and had the install completed. They were prompt and a pleasure to deal with. Thank You Complete Solar!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Initial experience was great. Sales person was helpful and panels went up quickly. Problem was they put a system that was too much for my electric usage. Never bothered to tell me it was rejected and had to find out from parent company Sunrun who said I failed inspection 2x. I said I didn't know there was an inspection. Contacted Complete Solar to ask about it and they said I need to find out from electric company what I qualify for. This should have been done beforehand by them before putting on roof!! They had to come out take panels off my roof and patch it. They were supposed to resubmit proper papers and have continually dropped the ball. I have to constantly follow up. I wish I could just have them removed and never got involved with them. It's been 14 months since installation and I still can't use my panels. This was the worst decision I ever made regarding a service/product. I hope to have them connected before I die.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I want to give two thumbs up to Complete Solar. I met Rob and Dennis a few months ago in Anaheim and they told me about the Edison Net Energy Metering Program and how this all worked. They took the time to explain it to me so I totally understood everything. They then walked me through the process and showed me how the design of solar panels would work, where they would go on my roof and how much my savings would be. I had been paying an average of $180 per month to Edison--with Complete Solar they were able to lower that to $101 a month fixed and guaranteed with absolutely no out of pocket costs.

I have gotten my first bill, this is amazing! No more $300 bills this summer. The process was pretty fast and smooth. They had someone come out to measure the roof, and within a couple of weeks the panels were installed and then I was hooked up. If you have a high Edison bill this is a great program, there are no out of pocket costs and they were professional in the way things were explained and I am really glad I went solar with such a good company that made it easy.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Ok the beginning part of our solar experience was great. Sales person was friendly and helpful. However, once they installed them they didn't give us any information into the process. They came and installed and left without saying anything. We didn't know if they were on or not, but I knew it needed to be inspected by the city. So a couple weeks go by and I get a call for me to go turn it on. I have no electrical experience and have no clue how to turn on solar panels. So I go see if all the switches are switched to on and the one that wasn't I switched to on. Several months later our bill was still the same for power, maybe a little higher. So I call and they tell me to check my solar monitoring app. "What app?" I say apparently I was supposed to receive instructions on how to set it up but I had no clue. "Ok, we will get the instructions sent right over", they say.

A week and half later, some random guy drops by to tinker with the solar panels, leaves a message with my 10 year old which I don't get and leaves without ever letting us know he was there. I call to ask my sales person what's up and I don't get an answer but finally get the stuff to set up my monitoring program a couple hours after I left a voicemail. Come to find out the solar panels were never actually on, which they blamed me for since apparently I am a solar expert and should know how to turn them on. I call and complain and they say, "In a year we can call you and collect all your production information and then maybe give you some type of compensation then." There are so many solar companies out there. This one is not worth the hassle!!! They will leave you guessing at every step of the install.

Find a Solar Energy partner near you.

Complete Solar Company Information