3.21/5

527 RiteAid Pharmacy Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 25, 2019

I’ve developed a pretty good relationship with my pharmacist and team for both my many prescriptions as well as speciality drugs needed for my dog. They always reach out and work with me on timing and cost of the drugs.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I love the store. It's always clean, easy to get around and always well stocked. Employee by name Christopher ** was great. He goes out way to help customers. The pharmacist always well informed and eager to answer any questions you have. Would recommend to my friends and family. Great job done in a great store. Great staff.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

The Pharm dept has very knowledgeable people who don’t mind answering questions and (most importantly) they no longer shout out loud your medication or medical issue when it gets busy and people are hovering over the counter. I stopped going to CVS due to the lack of privacy and the demeaning attitude of the staff in Wayne PA. The RiteAid also has great prices on an assortment of food and household products. My only ISSUES are the lack of low fat and low sodium foods and the elimination of rolling papers.

Original review: March 14, 2019

It is a fine store unless they don't have my medicine, then I have to wait a couple days for them to get it in. And that's trouble when it occurs. And they have a policy not to order more when they run out but wait until it is needed.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I dropped a prescription off at the Richland, Washington, store in the morning, so it would be ready when I came back [hours] later in the day. The staff said it would be ready in about an hour. SEVERAL hours later, I came back, waited in a LONG line, only to be told it was not ready because they didn't know how I'd be paying for it. NO OTHER STORE/PHARMACY PULLED THIS CRAP. This is a level of stupidity which could kill a LOT of business. I was in a HUGE and necessary hurry: I needed to get a hospital patient home, and ALL pharmacies are a TWO HOUR ROUND TRIP DRIVE AWAY [on weekends (which it was)]. Subsequent to this unique stupidity, after I stated I'd pay in cash, I waited nearly an hour for the prescription to be filled. WOULD YOU DO BUSINESS WITH THIS KIND OF BUSINESS? I won't, AND will do what I can to make sure others know they can get better deals and better service elsewhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RiteAid?

Original review: May 30, 2019

I recently took two prescriptions in for processing. They were diabetic testing items. The pharmacist first tried to bill my Medicare D with no luck. Then they billed Medicare B and got paid the standard 80%. They put in a monitor although I did not order one. I had given them my supplemental insurance card for part D. They changed my RX from a 90 day to a 30 day RX and charged me a co-pay. They told me that my supplement insurance card was not for diabetic supplies and part B but for part D. Obviously they were getting paid by Medicare and my supplemental insurance. Now they demanded me to pay them too. This is double dipping and illegal. Do NOT ever go to RiteAid!

Original review: May 23, 2019

Thursday 5-23-2019 1:48. Johnstown, Pennsylvania. RiteAid on Bedford, St. My prescription was to be filled and has been filled at 28 days after its prior fill date and is covered by insurance. RiteAid, apparently has a policy that doesn't allow you to fill your prescription until 29 days which is their policy... likely due to being hit hard from the DEA after the opiate craze, that I'm sure they lined their pockets with. Anyway, my former pharmacy closed abruptly and sent all the prescriptions to RiteAid without option. Now, I don't use RiteAid because I've had terrible experiences with how poorly and rudely the people that work there have treated me and my husband. So today when I called them, they said my prescription would be filled and I could pick it up... awesome!

My husband went to pick it up and they said they wouldn't fill it until tomorrow because of my insurance. I call my insurance and they tell me that it's completely fine to fill and it wasn't anything on their end. So, again I call RiteAid to tell them it's not my insurance and then they tell me that it's not the insurance it's their policy to not fill anything until the 29th day. Which is tomorrow... It's Memorial Day weekend and I'm going out of town. Now instead of leaving tonight, I have to wait till the morning. RiteAid took it upon themselves to call my doctor and basically red flag me for requesting my prescription 3 times because they had trouble understanding on their end. Not to mention the absolutely terrible customer service, nasty looks and very uncouth behavior... They took time out of their day to call my primary care physician and slander my name!

I apologize for trying to get my prescription filled that I've gotten filled at 28 days for years, but RiteAid needs to be clear and handle people and themselves with much more respect and way better customer service interactions. I will be extending my (experiences) and the slander on my good name to my lawyer. Your company needs to train people that not everyone who takes a medication that is controlled is a drug addict and stop treating people like they are when your employees have no idea who I am or why I take a medication.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Called their pharmacy simply wanting to know if a prescription was in stock, SO I DON'T HAVE TO DRIVE MILES TO PHYSICALLY WALK INTO A STORE AND BE TOLD THEY DO NOT HAVE IT. The clerk quoted an apparent policy, "we can't give out details on controlled substances over the phone." Sorry, you're a "pharmacy" and I have a valid prescription. My doctor's directive should override any store policy, particularly when it comes to giving information about a prescription. I mean this is absurd. I could be standing there on the phone right next to her, and she couldn't tell me, but if I were to then go up to the counter, she'd be ok with it. Blind leading the blind. I will NEVER be shopping at Rite Aid FOR ANYTHING ever again.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have never been treated so poorly and rudely, the unhelpful attitude and lack of customer service is why I will never shop at one of their stores again. Went there on a Sunday from urgent care for my mother on oxygen and was made to wait 45 minutes, when I inquired as to where her prescription was and that it was an unreasonable amount of time for her to have to wait in her condition I was told that they did not have to fill it and could go elsewhere! I responded for them to **! I went straight to Safeway and they had it ready in 5 minutes for her. Thank you Safeway.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I used RiteAid to fill two 90 day medications for a 30 day supply. After I received the first supply, I realized something was wrong. This is what I found: 1) ** 300 mg XL cost $46.05 at RiteAid compared to $2.26 at the Annandale Family Pharmacy less than a mile away. That’s a difference of $43.79 per month, times 3 = $131.37! 2). ** 100 mg cost $5.69 at RiteAid and $1.09 at the Annandale Pharmacy for a difference of 4.60 x 3 = $13.80! RiteAid owes me $145.17. This is an absolute disgrace and I plan on working hard not to allow anyone who overpays for medication they need should have to go through this!

Original review: April 3, 2019

This afternoon, we needed to take a passport photo for my son, who is disabled. I asked about where to take the passport photos and a RiteAid staff member named Marc, came out. I said I needed to get my son, who is disabled and was sitting in the back section of the store, to come forward to the front section. When I came back, Marc just ignored us, said nothing and proceeded to check out other customers. We waited for about 10 minutes as he checked out customer after customer. He could have communicated something like "I'll be with you in just a moment" -- but he said nothing, completely ignored us with a grumpy face, until finally I had to ask him again. He then came over. I ushered my son to stand in front of the white screen to take the passport photo.

Marc then was trying to get the camera to work and it took an extremely long time. My son, who is disabled, could not stand for long, and Marc was completely unsympathetic and plain rude. He was still fiddling with the camera, when I asked if it was going to take a while, maybe my son could sit down, when he proceeded to scream and yell at us. Marc has no heart and I am so upset. He didn't apologise, has absolutely no communication or interpersonal skills, and needs some serious training about how to speak politely with a customer.

There are other staff there, such as an elderly lady and an elderly Indian gentleman, and a younger Asian guy, who have been helpful, kind and friendly -- patient and well-mannered -- so I don't want to blast everyone there. The store is generally clean and well-maintained. But Marc needs some training in customer service, and how to speak politely to people. He walks around grumpy and when he yelled at my disabled son, that was really the last straw. No heart or compassion. The most horrific experience and I will never forget how terrible he was.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Presented RiteAid with a script for a narcotic. Have been getting the same narcotic script filled for over 1 year. Script was dated 3\19\19. They said the script could not be filled until 3/28/19. Because, the month before the script had not been picked up until the 28th. The bottle date is 2/15/19. They said it wasn't picked up until the 2/28/19. My husband takes this as prescribed. Is very careful and even writes down the time he takes it. He picked it up on 2/15/19. He waited 45 min for it to be filled. There is no way that prescription was left there for 14 days. He would have ran out of pills on the 3/20/19.

This poor man is weaning off of his pills because they will not fill it on the date it is due. It is so hard to watch a man in his 80s being in so much pain. He paid cash for the script and we could not find the receipt for it. Even had the Highmark nurse call and they gave her the same story. I consider this as abuse and if I had the money would take legal action. We don't want them to think we are drug seeking. I am afraid to say any more to them in fear they will take revenge (like not filling it until the 29, saying they are out of them, or saying they lost the script). Have done this in the past. but was resolved. I am really sad because we eventually have to find another Pharmacy. We have been doing business with them for over 15 years and it is like losing a friend.

Original review: March 23, 2019

For the first time ever I felt like I needed security from the security. Never, not in the worst of neighborhoods, have I seen a security force that consists of a very young man pacing around in a hoodie giving me menacing looks and comments, and generally going out of his way to look and act thuggish. I don't know what level of loss they are experiencing or why they feel they have to have 'plain clothes' security checking people out with an attitude the NYPD of old would have been proud of. This particular 'guard' refused to identify himself as security or give his name, instead demanding my name and getting up close to me in a manner which made me feel genuinely uncomfortable if not threatened. I believe some of these security personnel are ex convicts and, if that is the case, I would venture to guess from the jailhouse body language of this individual that is exactly what he is. But shame on Rite Aid for putting such a force into play.

I'm sorry if they are experiencing so much shoplifting, but making customers feel like they need security from the security and providing the single worst retail experience of my life is an unacceptable solution. Loss prevention has resulted in customer loss, for I and anyone I know or talk to will never go in that store again, if not any RiteAid all together. One does not go shopping in order to undergo this level of discomfort not from other customers, but the employees themselves.

Original review: March 19, 2019

My doctor's office faxed 3 scripts over at 9:30 a.m. I got here at 10:30 to pick up. Not ready. They said they were waiting for some kind of verification and it would be 2 hours until my meds were ready. I have medical assistance so I am in their system when it comes to insurance purposes. I give them 3 hours. Call to make sure that my scripts have been filled and am told that they didn't fill them because they needed my insurance card. I offered to give my card number over the phone to speed up the process. They refused and requested I bring it to the store.

So I come to the store, AGAIN and go to the drive through. I present my card. I explain I've been waiting since 10 am. She comes back and politely tells me to pull around to let the next customer be waited on because the pharmacist has to count my pills. Now granted it is not the guy behind me's fault that this happened. And that is the only reason I pulled around. I have always had trouble with this pharmacy. Waiting HOURS for prescriptions that haven't been filled yet due to a failure to communicate on the part of RiteAid is just unacceptable. They spoke with me and not one time did they mention insurance. They said it needed some kind of verification that would take them 2 hours. I give them 3 hours and call and get told they still haven't filled them due to not knowing if I had insurance. I obviously want my meds regardless right? I did go there to pick them up. Why would I not want them filled? Customer service is a tragedy anymore.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Quality varies widely by location. Some are wonderful, while others (Chino Hills, CA) was horrible - the pharmacist refused to fill a prescription for **, questioned the qualifications of my doctor, and tried to sell me the over-the-counter store brand (recommending that I take numerous pills to meet the same dosage).

Original review: March 1, 2019

I had the surgeon's office send the prescription for three different eye drops required prior to my husband's cataract surgery to a RiteAid Pharmacy thinking I might change my preferred pharmacy. When I went to pick them up, they only had two for me. I asked if there wasn't a third one and was told they had only been sent two prescriptions. I thought I must have been mistaken. I really should have called the surgeons office on Monday, but I didn't. On the day of the surgery, I found out he should have had a third one to apply prior to surgery, but was told to just be sure to get it for post surgery. When we returned home, I called the pharmacy. They checked and sure enough they did have the third prescription. Their only response to why it hadn't been filled with the other two was, "I don't know."

When I made the extra trip to get the eye drops, I grabbed a 12 roll pack of Charmin bath tissue that had a large sign saying $13.99. I thought I could get it a bit cheaper somewhere else, but it was probably worth the extra to save another stop. When my items were rung up, my price for the bath tissue was $22.99! Seems you have to register for rewards card to get the price that is only a little more than other stores in the area. I asked them to remove the tissue from the sale and paid $12.50 when I stopped at another store on the way home. I struck RiteAid off my list for possible efficient, reasonable pharmacies.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I know the word for a man who dislikes women is misogynist. What is the word for a woman who dislikes women? That’s my experience with LeAnn the pharmacist on duty at the Houlton Maine RiteAid today 2/23/19. Any other pharmacist on duty my experience is A-OKAY. I told her I would have to call prior to dropping off or picking up, so I can avoid her. LeAnn this complaint has nothing to do with the fact that you didn’t fill my 3mg **. It’s all about your smarmy attitude.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

It's been few months I have been seeing this, this store RiteAid, 162-19 Hillside Ave, Jamaica, NY 11432 is just next of my residential place so for any occasion I need to go there and buy the things. But several times I had a very very bad experience. The freezer where they keep cold drinks, ice cream, milk, juices, that freezers and so so soooo stinky, so filthy dirty and bad!!!! As soon as I open the freezer door it's so bad smell, the juice I bought and drink at home, is so so bad smell, rotten, ice creams are fully melted, milk are rotten!!! Kindly take care, we are the neighbors and need to go this store very often but its cannot be staying like this days after days. Thanks you.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

This company is a COMPLETE JOKE!!! I have a "so-called" wellness card, or whatever they're calling it these days. Tried to place an order on their Website. I have done in THE PAST. (NOTE Past because I was just reminded why I RARELY order from them!!! They SUCK!!) You input your email add, user name... Comes back unfound. Ok, maybe since I haven’t ordered in a while my "acct" became inactive. Try to retrieve info both user name AND password... Guess what? None found. Ok, let’s just try to order & checkout under "Guest" when WTF? You enter your info, and it comes up can't process because that NAME & Email address already EXISTS in the system! But, when you try to look info up, it says none found. Kind of redundant! And going in circles maybe??!!

Called the so-called Customer Service Department & I’m told it’s because I’m not using the "correct" browser. "Our Website ONLY works when you use Internet Explorer --(ummm really) OR Firefox!" Are you ** kidding me! Get real! No wonder they are losing MILLIONS and their rating is SOOO LOW. Too bad. They even got a one star rating from me... They didn’t have NEGATIVE 100, which they deserve. Bunch of **! Shop ELSEWHERE!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I had bad reaction. Went to the pharmacy and show them the hives. We sat and talk and review it. It was different company. Something I'm allergic to and they said they fix it. I won't get that. Well next month got the same medicine which I wasn't supposed to get but didn't get the right one. I was supposed get that I couldn't have so they give me the right one that was late. I had to purchase medicine till the right one came in.

Now again got the medicine I was allergic to which again had to buy medicine again to replace it and I was told it be in Monday which no calls which I call to hear it's not there. I need this medicine because of my stomach. I have to take it twice a day. My problem is this is 3rd time with wrong medicine plus had to buy something close to it because I ran out and it's like they don't care nor worry about it. All I got is, "Oh I try to order it again" which was Fri and told today which is 2/4/19 and not happy with the results I got. 3 times disappointed and have no medicine when told be here Monday.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Because I didn’t pick up my prescription on the day it was filled due to both my wife & I being sick and we picked up prescription 3 days later when we were feeling better RiteAid’s policy is to hold the medication for an additional 3 days! WTF! They do not offer delivery service so how can I or others who may have transportation issues get their meds or why should I be penalized because I was ill? We were told to call back later and speak with pharmacy manager who is only person who can authorize release of my prescription. If RiteAid has such a policy then they need to emphasize this somewhere on their website or make it clear while picking up other meds. Signed. Disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Paid $5 for a frozen Salad. I mean FROZENNNN. IT took 3 hrs to thaw out, that's how bad it was. Come on RiteAid! Do better. Should have bought a salad at Chipotle... won't make that mistake again. Not only that, but the cashier had the audacity to matter of factly inform me that he had no forks, and gave me a spoon to eat said salad. I couldn't even take the salad back because I was on the train by the time I realized how frozen it was.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I required an emergency room visit due to medication interactions. I contacted RiteAid and they were angry with me for making the report. No care or concern was given for me. So unprofessional. I'm very disappointed in the treatment I received.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Nobody at RiteAid cared. Thumb hurt from toxic gel. I was ignored and told they were sorry I was having a bad day. Nuked it for 1 minute and it exploded. The toxic goo burned my thumb for hours. RiteAid has not returned my messages.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I started using the RiteAid pharmacy in March of this year. I was hopeful that I would not have the issues I had at Walgreens. I was disappointed. There are 6 people in my home, 3 of us take medications. Despite our med provider repeatedly sending the med change, they continued to give me the wrong one. They then blamed the doctor, saying that he never sent it. He proved he had, and RiteAid dismissed it as a communication error. I take a controlled medication for anxiety/panic, and they have made it incredibly tough to fill. Repeatedly dismissing refill orders from my doctor, then claiming she didn't send them. I showed the refill transmission, and it was dismissed as a system error, and not their problem.

I also found out today, that the text to fill, and phone refill requests, are dismissed by the system if there is any delay in contacting the doctor. They also lied to me, and said they were waiting on the info from my doctor, when in fact, their system had dismissed my refill request altogether. Meaning I would have been waiting on a confirmation that would have never come. They still have kept giving me the incorrect dose of my son's meds, despite the number of times the doctor inputs the appropriate dose. The employees are very nice to me, but nice does not make up for incompetence and apathy. Store #05358

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I came to the RiteAid pharmacy store #10464, and was told it would take 2 hours to fill my script because I don’t come here often and he has stuff to do. I called the 800 RiteAid to lodge a complaint, I feel I’m being discriminated because I’m ** and have a script for pain medication. I’ve been here and had prescriptions filled in the past and never had an issue. I will be contacting an attorney and have my daughter as a witness to what the pharmacist said.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I received a call from corporate RiteAid informing me of a recall due to possible contaminants in a product I purchased a few months ago. There was no instruction on providing a refund. When I took the product back to RiteAid the counter checkout attendant did not care to hear the message I offered to play her from my phone nor knew anything about the recall. She went and took the matching product off the shelf, and decided the amount to give me in a gift card which was less than my purchased price.

I did not give a gift card to my store to RiteAid when I made the full price purchase. The attendant was uninterested. The whole ordeal has left me with no medicine that was prescribed by my dr, and only a gift card to a store that continues to sell their own recalled items. I have no use for a gift card to RiteAid, it handled this so poorly I would not trust them on anything else.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I purchased Dr. Scholl's orthotic inserts from RiteAid. RiteAid sent me an email asking me to review my purchase. I gave my honest review. My review stated that after wearing the inserts for a couple weeks my feet hurt worse than ever and I started to have severe knee pain which I never had before. I actually lost two days because I had to stay off my feet because of the knee pain. I stated that the Dr. Scholl's orthotic inserts are a dangerous scam. After sending in my review RiteAid sent an email back to me saying my email has been mediated and will not be printed. This is a blatant cover up of a bad product. Something has to be done, this product should be removed from the shelf and RiteAid should be held responsible for trying to cover up a seriously bad product.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I dropped 2 rolls of film with 24 exposures off and was charged $28 for one roll and $11 for the other... not sure why one was so much more than the other but they were rolls from the same camera... will never use their photo lab again that's for sure.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Let's start I've been going to RiteAid for 2 years. The first year seemed to be fine. Then they changed pharmacists then everything went from bad to unbearable. I take numerous medications unfortunately. Two are narcotics the rest are not any better but not controlled. It started with asking them if it would be possible to make sure my medicine was ordered or ready before the fill date. I had never had issues before but now I had to drop off the meds then wait a week or more if they were not in stock. This put me behind over a week each month. Eventually causing issues with my doctor. My doctor finally wrote out one script for all my meds to be filled on the same day.

I called my insurance and my doctor was aware two of them were being filled 3 days early. It was a last ditch attempt to get me on a one day fill. I go in drop off the script. They FINALLY HAVE ALL of my meds available. I was so happy. But the pharmacist came out, "BTW RiteAid has a 3 day fill policy." Regardless of what my doctor wants or what my insurance approved they REFUSED to give me my meds written for that date of fill. I explained because of RiteAid incompetence I was having to do this. I can't pre-order my own meds. They caused my meds to be filled repeatedly late every month when a year before it was never an issue. I asked the pharmacy if they could hold the meds until "RiteAid" deemed me worthy to give me my meds. He said NO that if the meds were out when they went to fill I would have to wait for re order starting this gross negligence to start all over.

In the meantime I have to be sick, lose money, time and potentially my doctor because RiteAid is God of their universe. When I was about to leave the tech had me "confirm" my address on a paper that said annual review. I laughed. I stated, "You review me?" "How dare you!" I won't be returning not now or ever. I have found a pharmacy who has NO issue doing what is necessary for my health. And working within the law by communicating between my doctor, insurance and myself. It seems this should be an illegal practice on so many levels. When did pharmacies become doctors and the DEA. If we all are doing the right thing the right way RiteAid should simply do their job and fill the medication. The amount of times I had to go through being embarrassed and humiliated in front of people and hours spent trying to fix it, I now have extreme panic attacks every time I have to deal with my medication.

I will be seeking counsel on this since it seems to only happen at certain stores. I found another RiteAid who said that the pharmacist can make exceptions and call my doctor which this pharmacist couldn't. He can go to school for this but has lost the ability to pick a phone up and punch in my doctors phone number. And I was always made to blame and made ashamed because I took narcotics. I follow everything my doctor tells me to a T but somehow I'm less human and have no feelings or that thief better than how treatment causes me severe anxiety and low self esteem. They don't have the right just like some doctors do. Please do your homework on the place and the pharmacist before you go. Or a simple medication refill can change into a nightmare.

RiteAid expert review by ConsumerAffairs

RiteAid has grown to become the third-largest drugstore chain in the United States. Operating mainly on the east coast, it provides multiple pharmacy services, both in-store and online. Services include prescription refills and transfers, one-trip refills, home delivery, Medicare Part D plans and specialty pharmacy services.

• Online prescription refills: Customers can create an online account profile that includes their personal information, doctor information and prescription details. Once logged in they can manage prescription refills by scheduling ongoing orders that tailor to each individual's treatment plan.

• Specialty pharmacy services: RiteAid offers online delivery, prescription scheduling and financial help for consumers with specialty pharmacy needs. They are accredited to distribute specialty medication and advise customers on diseases such as cancer, HIV/AIDS and cystic fibrosis.

• OneTripRefills: For consumers who want to order their prescriptions online and pick them up at the nearest store, RiteAid offers OneTripRefills. OneTripRefills allows pharmacists to schedule all of a customer's prescriptions to be delivered at once, simplifying their pickup schedule.

• Prescription reminder services: RiteAid will help customers manage their prescriptions by sending reminders by email, text or phone when prescriptions are due for a refill or ready for pickup.

• Accreditation: RiteAid is accredited by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy, ensuring it distributes prescription drugs safely. The URAC also accredits RiteAid’s specialty pharmacy practices.

• Best for: customers needing a convenient way to manage multiple prescription schedules.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs