3.7/5 (768 ratings)

About Express Scripts

Express Scripts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Dec. 3, 2022

I have been trying to get my prescriptions filled since early November and Express Scripts keeps insisting they are waiting on approval from my doctor. I was contacted by them the beginning of October stating that I can no longer fill my prescriptions at CVS otherwise I will pay a higher retail price. I said okay I will transfer my prescriptions over. It has been a nightmare ever since. The first prescription I transferred was Ozempic and that was October 4th. I was told it was backordered even though CVS has it on hand. I asked them if I could just pick it up from CVS. I was told I could not and I should ask my doctor for an alternative. They advised it would be in stock on 11/15. I went over 2 weeks without it and fortunately when I told my doctor he quickly reached out and gave me a sample.

I called Express Scripts on the 15th of November they still did not have it in stock and I also asked them about the other 3 prescriptions I had that needed to be filled since I did not want to run out of those. They said they would put the order in and they would ship within 3-5 days. I waited 3 days no update. I checked online and saw it was still processing. At this point I have no faith so I contacted customer service and was told they were waiting on approval from my doctor to have the prescriptions transferred over.

I contacted my doctor's office via the patient portal and sent them an email letting them know Express Scripts would be contacting them and I provided the contact number I was given by Express Scripts. The front desk advised they would reach out if they did not receive anything. I also have an in person appointment with them every month so I know they are always on top of things. I've been a patient at my doctor's office for over 3 years and this has never happened before so I know the issue is not on their end.

Here it is over 3 weeks later and I don't have my three prescriptions and 2 months later I still don't have my Ozempic which is now in stock. I keep receiving the same canned response that they are waiting on my doctor's approval every time I contact customer service. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!! I have a weeks worth of medication left and they are not doing anything but asking me to reach out to my doctor. I have and he is contacting you guys and you are doing nothing. If you can't handle the volume of work stop forcing people to switch to mail order because you are playing with people's health.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

It’s been NOTHING but a frustrating experience dealing with this company!!! Out of medication AGAIN. In NOOO HURRY to send what my Dr. prescribed. All I seem to get is, "SORRY" and "We will be sending as soon as we can." Promises of next day shipping (due to their mess ups) twice now NEVER happened.

Express Scripts response

We’re sorry to hear this Tony and want to help. Could you please email us at ExpressRxHelp@express-scripts.com with your member ID, date of birth and a good phone number to reach you? A team member would like to reach out and assist

Get buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

I fight every month with these people. The customer service people do their best but no help from Pharmacy. I talked to 4 different cs reps that all told me something different. I talked to two different pharmacist. They can’t help you because all they allowed to discuss is side effects from medication. My medication was due on the 10th of November. Today is the 18th. Four days this week I was told it will be overnighted as an emergency need. Nope, nothing. We are so done with this company. Has ruined our week. They do not care. All about the money. Thankfully we are leaving them with our new Medicare Advantage plan. Please save yourself any heartache using this company.

Express Scripts response

My name is SJ and we are sorry that you had a negative experience. We would like to make sure your issue is resolved and does not occur in the future. We would like to discuss your situation further please reply to this message with your telephone number, and or email us at ExpressRxHelp@express-scripts.com. Thank you

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

I'm using the option to go to Walgreens as my insurance company allows. The mail order doesn't work most of time. I'm also changing my open season insurance carrier which I've had for more than 20 years because they changed to ES a few years ago. My experience is the same as all the negative reviews so I will just say try like the devil to get away from them. It's just way too much hassle. Whatever happened to a piece of paper and it take to the pharmacy? This system doesn't work and please take the time to contact your reps at state and fed. There are hearings on this and we need to end this misery. You know gov't doesn't move fast but it will move if you keep pushing.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

Consistently the processing time is about 10 days from the date they receive the prescription to the date they send it to DHL for delivery to your post office. Add 3-5 business days for delivery. If you have any plans to be out of town on the date it finally arrives, you will likely be out of meds. Insurance usually won’t refill sooner than 2 weeks early so you can expect be stressed out

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

I have a new employer that uses Express Scripts. I had my doctor submit a request for insulin products as I am running out. I was advised by the express scripts team that they will send the medications after 7 calendar days. They had no concern that I was almost of one med and totally out of another. On day 8 I had to pay for extra shipping and force them to send the medication. They do not care about patient health and the government needs to step in to govern the actions of this company. I will be contacting my congressman and state rep to move forward with this.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

For the past few years I've had unlawful withdrawals from my bank account. Has cost me about $160 in overdrawn fees. Even after deleting credit card and check acct number. I'm told there is nothing to be done. Today I noticed an eCheck for $120 and another withdrawal for $12. I checked online and again deleted credit card, no checking account number listed as I deleted that several years ago. On the mobile app on my husband's account the checking account number still shows thus the eCheck not authorized. We never selected auto pay. When I place an order I always select to have a bill sent. But it seems that even though you delete all your payment info, Express Scripts still finds a way to take money out of your account. Isn't this fraudulent???

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

Express scripts has been our prescription insurance for several years, with $10/90day copays for my depression medication. However they changed the copays right before open enrollment to $20/90 day copay. Open enrollment for our employer started November 1st (as well as most places), the term of our insurance changes every January. I found this out October 6th. When I called, I was told that they could change copays during open enrollment (which was a month after this conversation), and there was nothing they would do, despite the insurance contract had for that year.

Apparently, the company is switching prescription providers this January 2023, and this was the way that Express scripts decided to handle this. The end consumer, the average Joe gets to pay because of a retaliatory response by Express Scripts for a decision they don't have control over. I wouldn't be mad if this had happened after open enrollment when the contracts change anyways, but they decided to strike at people who need prescriptions refilled between their contract not being renewed and it expiring.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

I have written several reviews on Twitter too and will continue to do so because they REFUSE to do any investigation into their calls with Customers because they know what they will find. I have requested this several times.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

I've had nothing but terrible times with this company. I'm failing to get the treatment my doctor has prescribed for me AND my family. I've been waiting over a month for depression meds. This is unacceptable.

Express Scripts response

My name is Shanta, and we are sorry that you had a negative experience. We would like to make sure your issue is resolved and does not occur in the future. We would like to discuss your situation further please reply to this message with your telephone number, and or email us at ExpressRxHelp@express-scripts.com.

Express Scripts Company Information