Express Scripts

Compare Online Pharmacies

Research top Online Pharmacies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I recently called regarding lost mail order Rx, while I had representative online, refilled another Rx which I never received. When called today, I was told needed special approval from doctor for a medication I had taken for 3 years! Since I'm in between changed doctors and my last doc left the country, I'm out of luck. I

should have been told that when I called a month ago!!!

On multiple occasions, I have had my doctor send over prescriptions to Express Scripts, only to have them either 1) refuse to fill the prescription or 2) fill it incorrectly. The last prescription I had filled by Express Scripts got kicked back because they said my doctor did not send a complete prescription over, and it was lacking dosage amount, directions, and instructions. Upon calling my doctor, he confirmed that he had, in fact, sent that information over to them. (Of course, what doctor's office would send over an incomplete prescription? Mistakes can happen, but 99.9% of the time, a doctor is going to send over a completed prescription). Nevertheless, he re-sent the 90 day prescription to them.

On another occasion, Express Scripts sent me a 60 day prescription (2 boxes of **) and said it was the 90 day prescription, since that is what my doctor sent to them. This is completely, totally, wrong. I have always had the same prescription from my doctor (who I've used for over 6 years now) that equals one box per month (ie I should have received 3 boxes for the 90 day prescription). When my prescription arrived, I immediately saw an error on the dosage amount on the printed prescription, and the missing box and contacted them. This is clearly an error on Express Scripts' part, as my doctor would simply copy and send the same prescription I've always had.

I called Express Scripts TWICE today to find out how to correct their error, and was told (by incredibly rude 'customer service' representatives) that there was nothing they could to fix the prescription I received because it was already delivered (I received it this morning) and that any update my doctor sent to them - to correct THEIR mistake - would only count towards the new prescription fill date, in 90 days. Leaving me short a box of ** and paying nearly twice as much as simply getting a monthly prescription filled at CVS.

I cannot express how insane this is, and how they have a complete lack of customer service and take no accountability at all. My doctor would never send over an incorrect dosage on the prescription, as I have had the SAME prescription for over 15 years. This is clearly an error on their side, one which they refuse to correct.

We all know that the only purposes for using Express Scripts are 1) convenience and 2) to save money on co-pays. However, when you get charged for a 3 month supply, and only receive 2 - it is actually much cheaper to simply get your prescription filled at your local pharmacy. Stay away from Express Scripts. Your health is too important to risk by attempting to (sometimes) save a few dollars. I am reporting them to the Better Business Bureau as well. Do not use them. Trust the thousands of other negative reviews online.

If you have an option to go elsewhere do so. If you are stuck using them & must contact them, immediately ask for a supervisor, bypass their first line people. I've had the absolute worst experiences in one year with that company than with all of the other med insurance companies/pharmacies in my 40+ years of having prescriptions filled. I have consistently been given incorrect information, 3 phone calls regarding issues result in 3 different stories, and issues have only been resolved by speaking with a supervisor. I also have been treated rudely, and shown no empathy or consideration by their first line people. Not to mention they always blame your insurance company, it's not the insurance companies it's their untrained uncaring employees who do nothing more than read from scripts. If only there was a way to get insurance companies to stop using them.

Refill "required" medical info? On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 I engaged in a refill for ** 5 mg. The Stop & Shop Pharmacy clerk, Felicita, said it was refused and needed "prior authorization." Both the pharmacy and I contacted the doctor's office and there was no problem. Went back to pharmacy and still refused. The pharmacist said to call Medicare and see if they want to use another category. Medicare said no, and maybe I should try to call Express Scripts. They said to call Medicare and gave me the same # I had called before! Called the pharmacy again, and told them what phone conversations I had. He called Express Scripts and said that they wanted the diagnosis. He told them and the refill was approved! I had to wait 2 days for the refill which should have been immediate. When is the diagnosis REQUIRED to refill a script that I had been receiving for over a year?!

I take ivig infusion every 2 weeks. Last year Accredo said I did not require **. They said I could take **. I had been given ** by a hospital and ended up with kidney failure. I have diabetes and the documentation for ** stated it was contain dictated for diabetics. Express Scripts said they had talked to my doctor and he said it was OK for me to have **. Express Scripts had only talked to a tech at my pharmacy not my doctor.

I am on ** and wafer in which I is supplied by Express Scripts. In June 2016 my endocrinologist put me on **. At the time my blood pressure was 115/70. Express Scripts said no I could not have ** and needed **. By September 2016, my blood pressure was 170/90. In January 2017 my BP was 208/210. I could not figure it out. I had been hospitalized for congestive heart failure, pneumonia, kidney failure, and other things for 1 month. Later 2 hospitalizations. My local Walgreens was stealing prescriptions for ** and **. EXPRESS SCRIPTS, ACCREDO, AND WALGREENS ARE INCOMPETENT AND LIFE THREATENING.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

This company is horrible. I writing this because I want people to be an informed employees companies HR and patient customers. They want to dictate the medication you should be taking and will not approve. My doctor provided the information they required. This is the same doctor my son been going since birth. My son been on the same medication for the past six years of his life and is a teenage now in High School. He has been on **. DENIED the preauthorization for coverage. They DICTATE that he would need to take the generic brand (**) before they would approve the **. This is so very disappointing and I have 16 year old son that is so very afraid to take this medication that he's never had. I would understand the decision if this was a new diagnosis but this has been since 4th grade. I purchase the ** today and my co-pay was $108.00 and retail cost 186.00. Thank you for time.

Awful awful company. If you can avoid using them, take my advice and run the other way. I, unfortunately, am stuck with them because my husband's insurance requires we use them. They're billing practices are terrible. I time our purchases so I can pay the copays out of my disability check, but for some reason every now and then they don't take the money out and wait until it's a higher amount before they take it. I have called them and they say it's because I'm not enrolled in autopay, but the rest of the time the money comes out when they fill the prescription.

I don't want autopay because I need to time things with my check. And like most of the other reviews on here, I agree that ALL of their customer service people need to get the chips off there should because it doesn't matter who you talk to, they ALL act like you are wasting their time by calling. If the company did their jobs correctly, we wouldn't have to call now would we? I hate this company, but like I said I have no other choice, so I'm stuck.

I finally found a medication that works after trying all alternatives. After several calls to Express Scripts from my doctor to get a prior authorization approved (what a mess), my medication was still over $900! I would not recommend Express Scripts to anybody if they can help it. This experience has been a complete nightmare.

On February 2, 2017, my Doctor sent 3 medicines to Express Scripts to be filled and only two of them have been sent out and the third ** medicine I was told could not be sent because it's temperature sensitive! Now keep in mind this particular med is to open my airways! You would think that these so called pharmacist would call me to say, "Is it ok if we send this to your Local Pharmacy because it's temperature sensitive." No, so now I have to wait 13 days for them to send it because it's 3-5 business days for shipping and If you add the 5 days I'm already waiting it adds up to a total of 13 days!! I don't know why our government has not shut them down for the complaints they have received and continually receive!! The reason why so many companies have them is so it's convenient too. It saves these company money, but if they're charging the consumer penalty charge to go to the local pharmacy then something is wrong.

I have two pharmacy coverages both which are covered under Express Scripts. Blue Cross and Tricare. If I go to a local Pharmacy they will bill both insurances. BUT if I use the Express Scripts Mail Order system, they DO NOT process the TRICARE coverage even though its the same company processing the claim. What's worse, they do not mention this in their website or in any of their documentation. I have paid over $1,000 in additional copays that should have been covered under Tricare. I surely can't be the only military retiree who has experienced this "sleight-of-hand" procedure. It appears Express Scripts has accepted the military contract but are unwilling to service its members.

Consumer Increased Rating!

The company immediately got back to me and resolved the issue. They indicated that they are aware that the front line people need to be a little more customer service oriented.

Bert of South Windsor, CT on

Original Review

I beg of you, if this is the first time you are going to use Express Scripts, unless you are going to save some big dollars, go to CVS or Walgreens or Sam's Club. These people can mess up a free lunch and tell you that it was your fault. I always thought that if you had a prescription and it was in your plan they send it to you. This prior authorization is just a way to upset your Dr. and delay shipping your meds. I don't understand why they would want to delay. They aren't making any money that way. I am trying to write the denial review group but you know that will be a dead end. Good thing I don't need the meds and can wait the 90 days for the denial to expire and go to CVS.

I am currently on hold for a supervisor at Express Scripts so that they can explain why the cost of my prescription is quadrupled over the cost at my local pharmacy without using insurance. The cost of the medication through ES last year was $0 and now they want to charge me $350. Are you kidding me?!? These are the most inept, incompetent customer service people on the face of the Earth. Why does ES think that they can hold us hostage and choose the cost that they randomly pull out of the air for our prescriptions. It doesn't matter who you speak to. They will always give you a different story.

I had a wonderful concierge for all of my prescriptions (regular and specialty) and he was given a promotion and suddenly no one in the entire ES/Accredo company can help me out. This company is going to kill someone by withholding medication or they are going to have a heart attack when they receive their prescription with a massive bill attached to it. My next step is to check the pricing on all of our medications that my family takes and price them out both locally and through this horrible joke of a company. I promise that it will save my family a ton of money to go get the meds filled locally without insurance!

I mailed my prescriptions to Express Scripts in the printed envelope they provide. My daughter physically took the envelope to the post office and Express Scripts said they never received it. Two weeks had gone by with no meds. I then had to go to my doctor's office and have them fax all my prescriptions to them. This has been a nightmare. Still waiting for them to process and send them to me. This is the worst company ever.

I have two accounts at Express Scripts (ES), a commercial account and a Tricare account. My doctor faxed over two prescriptions on the ES form with the correct member number pre-printed on the form for the commercial account. ES uploaded the prescriptions to the Tricare account and then said it would take 5-7 days to transfer the Rxs to the commercial account and another 5-7 days to fill the Rxs once the transfer was completed. They asked me if I could go back to my doctor to request new Rxs again so they could upload to the correct again -- if I wanted to get my meds sooner than the ridiculous 2 week time frame they quoted.

Additionally, although both accounts are at ES, ES will not coordinate benefits for the co-payments. I have to pay out of pocket and then file a separate claim with Tricare for reimbursement. If I go to a retail pharmacy where they will coordinate benefits, but ES penalizes me and I can't secure a 90 day supply of meds and the cost is higher.

In a country where people are struggling to get medical coverage, I'm fortunate enough to have primary and secondary coverage due to my husband's 28 years of service to America in the Navy, yet I have to jump through hoops in order to get two simple prescriptions filled. Shame on the company I work for as well as the Department of Defense for using this pharmacy. Express Scripts is only about making money and do not care if patients receive the medications they need within a timely manner. This pharmacy is the worse and if you can avoid them, do so!!

I am forced to use Express Scripts online for my medications. In Jan, 2017, I logged on to refill a prescription for **. It was no longer covered. I called to ask why, because it is not on the published list on the website of non-covered prescriptions, I was told that it was on their list not on any list that I could view. I was given no prior warning that this medication would no longer be covered or any explanation as to why the previous year's appeal authorization approval was cancelled. I believe that Express Scripts intentionally puts members into uncomfortable positions in order to lead them to less costly medications. This has left me in a position of not having my medication now for 2 weeks while I seek a new appeal or a replacement medication through my PC. Md.

Buyers beware. I have lost over $60 with Express Scripts and every time I call regarding my medication I am told, "Sorry. It shows the medication was delivered." Express Scripts did not offer a solution to either return my money or medication. I am fed up with them and I would NOT join their service. You are better having your doctor fax your script to a local pharmacy and either you or someone else go to pick it up. I would have left no stars or a negative but the system would not allow it.

As others have stated, I am forced to go through this snail mail pharmacy because of my insurance plan. They have an automatic refill option, for which I am enrolled. I was alerted that my prescription would need to be renewed, but not to worry, they would contact my doctor when it expired. This did not happen. Instead, I received a refill on a different prescription! I went online, and was alerted that I needed to renew the first prescription, which I did. They contacted my doctor two days later, and then called me to say he would not renew it. I contacted my doctor and the receptionist told me they had renewed it. Then express scripts informed me it was being filled.

On 1/20, they alerted me it has been shipped. And so, I waited, and waited, meanwhile running out of the medicine. On the 24th, I checked online, it stated my prescription had left a facility on the 21st, but they weren't sure where it was. I called. The recorded voice tells me my prescription could not be filled. The customer representative tells me it should arrive soon, maybe three to five days, and that I should contact my doctor for short term refill if I have run out. I am so sorry for all the other people out there that are in the same boat as me. Someone needs to investigate this company, as this is only the latest problem I have had. We should not be forced into using a pharmacy that has earned such a shoddy reputation!

My company has switched medical insurance and we are now requested to use Express Scripts. It is one of the worst companies I have ever worked with. I have to interact with a very poor website, an idiotic automated phone systems that keeps me on hold, and when I finally get to a Rep they are extremely low level clerks who clearly do not understand their own system, or anything about a Pharmacy. Express Scripts thinks 5-8 business days is an acceptable level of response to ship product. Amazon, please get licensed and put these pathetic fools out of business. The MO board of pharmacy should revoke their license.

My medicine will cost me $150 for 3 months supply if I will buy it from Express Scripts while if I will buy it from Walgreens with manufacturer's coupon, it will cost me just $15 for a month supply. I call Express Scripts about this and they say that I have to get my medicine from them because that is my insurance plan or have my doctor change my medication to a cheaper drugs. It is a waste of time talking to these guys, that's a B.S. answer!!!

I've been on the phone hold with customer service for over an hour. They have messed up my prescription for the same drug about the fifth or sixth time. They can't seem to get anything straight. And their customer service is the worst that I have ever seen. This is the WORST company imaginable. DOWN WITH PBM's!!!

Whenever I call Express Scripts I reach some of the friendliest, thoughtful, and helpful associates I have ever contacted, but the online systems is a nightmare. I get incorrect emails or can't get my meds on automatic refill which would take care of most of my issues. Also, there is no reward program.

I received a call from Express Scripts with a recording that said I would have to pay full price for my medicine if I didn't use them. Not true, I might have to pay a little more, but my medicine would still be covered. Example of misleading language: At a local pharmacy, you would have to pay the "full discounted price." Wait, what? If it's discounted, how can it be the full price? Then I was told to hold on for a representative to answer my questions, then it went to voice mail, then I was told the voicemail was full and could not take any more messages.

I tried to get a straight answer by calling them, but all I got was double-speak. Ugh. They send your refills before you need them, so you either have to throw away good medicine or let the refills get old while you play catch-up finishing up the earlier supply. When I opted out of these auto refills, they canceled my prescription altogether and then made me get a new one for my doctor when I was ready for the refill. What was BCBS thinking when they signed on with this company?!!

We used Express Scripts through my husband's insurance. I had a prescription for 5 fills of 90 tablets. I received one fill and then my husband got a new job and a new prescription plan with CVS/Caremark. I contacted Express Scripts and spoke with Kristina in customer service. She advised that they cannot transfer my prescription, that I will have to call CVS/Caremark and have them call Express Scripts to initiate the process. Kristina had a distinct condescending tone and I felt like I had been treated like an annoyance, she must have been in a bad mood that day I thought.

I called CVS/Caremark and the rep there told me that what Kristina told me was not correct. She said that the Express Scripts pharmacist would need to call the Caremark pharmacist to transfer the prescription. She told me that Express Scripts commonly does this because "it is time consuming for the pharmacist to call and transfer so they often just say they don't do it". She told me that I would need to call Express Scripts back and insist that they do their job even if it is time consuming because they are the ones that possess the prescription to transfer.

A week later, I called Express Scripts and I got sweet Kristina again. Kristina still had the same annoyed and condescending tone when I explained what Caremark had told me about Express Scripts needing to have a pharmacist call to transfer the script. She said that they "don't make outbound calls" so I will just need to contact my doctor and get them to write a whole new prescription so they can send it to Caremark because. Funny, because they have made outbound calls to my doctor and myself in the past about prescriptions I was having filled by Express Scripts.

Since I am no longer ordering from them, suddenly they don't make any outbound calls. Clearly she was not going to assist me so that was that. Now I have to go through the motions of getting a whole new prescription because Express Script cannot be bothered to send my existing prescription to the new pharmacy as they are supposed to do. Long story short, if you need to use their customer service to accomplish things they are supposed to be taking care of, don't waste your time because they are awful.

This is similar to a fall 2016 post by another reviewer - they confirm they shipped my order, but refuse to replace it and blame it on the post office (I never received the order). Now I have run out of medication and will have to pay more at my local pharmacy because my employer forces me to use Express Scripts or pay full cost. I run a small business, I can't imagine telling a client I would not replace a mailing that the post office failed to deliver. The post office is pretty good, but they do not always deliver. I immediately tell the client, "I'll make it right," and I immediately do so. This is how normal businesses operate. But not Express Scripts - they are a large company without accountability. Guess how many customers I would have if I refused to correct postal service errors?

I'm 51 and living with Cystic Fibrosis. I take multiple meds some of which are specialty. Express Scripts is the ONLY pharmacy that cannot get my insurance and prescriptions correct. They constantly make mistakes and blame it on either me or my doctor when it's their fault and do NOTHING to correct the problem. Meanwhile, I cannot get my medications which I need to survive. I am so fed up with this company that I am going to happily fill my medications through my local pharmacy even though it will cost me more. I wish so much that I did not have to speak with this company ever again. Unfortunately, I am on Medicare and forced to have to deal with their incompetence on a regular basis. I can only hope that once I start getting my meds from Walgreens most of my problems will be solved. I feel sorry for anyone else dealing with the same problems. This company is the WORST!

I called Express Scripts on Dec. 30th to get a renewal on a prescription. The Customer Service Rep told me that she would take care of sending the fax to my doctor to request the refill. Two weeks later I have no indication that this was taken care of. When I called them today, they told me the fax was never sent and that I needed to call my doctor. Had I known that they were going to drop the ball, I would have done this all myself and saved myself the headache. They seem to be able to drop bottles into envelopes and throw them in the mail, but don't count on them to do anything more complex than that. Heaven forbid that they would try and actually go out of their way to advocate for customers!

I rarely leave reviews on companies, as sometimes I like to give them the benefit of the doubt. However, I have never spoken with any company so rude across the board. The general customer service reps sometimes do not have the best people skills around, but their supervisors and managers make up for it in having a better understanding of the customer's need to express their concern, and then move on. With Express Scripts, a "customer service" class would be very helpful across the board. Both people I spoke with (including a supervisor) seemed quite content to put the blame on my doctor's office or myself for not sending in the prescription refill, and had little to no understanding of the panicked state one enters when they find out not only is their prescription refill not on its way, it cannot even be processed until they once again contact my doctor.

Their lack of understanding, and ability to accept they may have made an error, were completely off-putting. I will not be using their services moving forward, as I do not want to have to follow-up with them every time my doctor sends a prescription, and I do not want to deal with their pompous "we are never at fault" attitudes should something happen again. While they may save you a buck, the added stress is not worth it. Most local pharmacies do refills for extended periods of time nowadays, so that is your better bet, plus you do not have to wait for it to "hopefully, cross-your-fingers" arrive in the mail. This company should be very ashamed of the way they speak to customers who are concerned about receiving their medications, and quite obviously needs to take some lessons in compassion and understanding. They do work with people, after all.

Their customer service is pitiful! No one ever gives you the same answer or seems to know what they are talking about. They are stressful to deal with. And the only purpose for using them is to save money on expensive items (my inhalers don't have a generic so they are almost twice at CVS than from Express Scripts).

We use our local hospital based pharmacy for urgent prescriptions and Express Scripts for all maintenance medicines. There is zero cost for the Express Scripts medicines and they arrive on schedule postage free. We are retired and have Tricare for life as well and couldn't be more satisfied.

One of my prescriptions requires "prior authorization" an Express Scripts term, for a 90 day supply of a substance that I take once a day. Each time I refill this prescription Express Scripts changes the 90 day, 90 tablet supply to an 18 tablet 18 day supply. The price per tablet for 18 day supply is $2.78 each versus 90 day at $1.20 each. I think it is easy to see why Express Scripts does this!!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Express Scripts is the largest pharmacy benefit management organization in the United States. Acting as the middleman between drug makers and employers, it provides services such as home delivery, specialty pharmacy management and prescription benefits for self-insured companies. Express Scripts also publishes an annual Drug Trend Report that details prescription drug costs and utilization.

• Online account: Express Script members can create an online account to manage their prescriptions. Members can schedule refills, review coverage and pricing information, check an order's status and find detailed drug information. Feature availability depends on each individual plan.
  • Home delivery: Home delivery through Express Scripts allows people who take regularly scheduled, ongoing prescription medication to save time and money with free shipping and handling. Consumers can add items with the “Transfer to Home Delivery” button to their shopping cart, and Express Scripts will reach out to their doctor for approval.
  • Medicare Part D: Express Script offers Medicare Part D plans with home delivery for members who receive Medicare. When choosing a Medicare Part D plan, customers should consider a plan with 24/7 access to a pharmacist as well as each plan’s star rating, premium, deductible and copayments.
  • Mobile app: The Express Scripts mobile app provides convenient access to member accounts from any Apple or Android mobile device. Members can refill prescriptions, schedule ongoing home deliveries and view drug information from anywhere.
  • Accreditation: Express Scripts holds accreditation with the URAC for mail service pharmacy and pharmacy benefit management. It is also accredited with VIPPS.
  • Best for self-insured companies wanting prescription benefits for their employees.

Compare Online Pharmacies