1.12/5

2893 Express Scripts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 19, 2019

So, I've been taking a med for over ten years, the dosage is 40mg. It is a generic drug, nothing outrageous. About 2 years ago Express Scripts took over the Meds part of my Medical insurance. I never had any problems with getting my meds before they took over. Now, it's a hassle every month. The Dr has been having to call them, every month and "pre-authorize" before they would approve it. Now, this month, they decided that my dosage was too high and they were only going to give me half of what the Dr prescribed and charge me 3 times the cost. I've been taking the same dosage for TEN YEARS and it was never a problem till Express Scripts took over. These meds are life saving for me, without them I WILL DIE. So I went to the pharmacy in my local grocery store and they're going to fill the the script for $9.00! NINE DOLLARS. Express Scripts wanted me to pay $135! That is the reality of this company. ** them!!!

Original review: April 18, 2019

I know Express Scripts is the absolute worst company for filling prescriptions and speaking to over the phone. They give you the runaround with all kinds of incompetent people that should be helping you, but cannot! Told me my account is on hold! Once I went to my UAW and had them call, they said I owed from 1 cent to $5 from the year 2006! No one could tell me before I went to the UAW exactly what I owed! The real kicker is no one knew how this big debt can be paid because the account was on hold due to the penny or the $5 bucks! Really? Also, no meds for my husband either due to, incompetence on Express Scripts' behalf! Never should our UAW agree to this type of foolishness in any Rx company! Finding my own Rx to fill my scripts!

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 15, 2019

If you can avoid Express Scripts I would advise you do so. Refills just disappear and if they think you are out of cycle for refilling a prescription then you are going to run out and even your Doctor can't help you. The Website is a hot mess. Shipping is either adequate to so slow that you think it was lost forever in the mail. They apparently bundle up huge shipments for DHL pickup and when DHL gets it into the mail system may take weeks. There is no way to track it until it gets into the USPS system. I've seen refills (when I can actually order them) show up within a week and the next will take a month. The problem is I am locked into these folks through Aetna and there is no way out.

Original review: April 12, 2019

The website for Express Scripts was programmed by people who have no clue how to make a functional website. The menus are overlapping and it is difficult to figure out how to select actions you want. My particular issue has to do with the timing of automatic refills. I find it nearly impossible to control when refills are shipped and I often end up with double shipments of medications.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 11, 2019

I have benefits from working for the State of NJ and my prescription plan was with Express Scripts. Dealing with this company was extremely stressful. What the employees stated over the phone never came into fruition. I was promised my medication, told numerous stories and promises were made only to be completely reversed the next time I would call. For example: I was told that my medication was backordered, then told it was delivered to their plant and had to be unpacked. The next time I followed up, I was told that was incorrect information. This company’s lack of concern, poor quality customer service and general indifference caused great stress. My doctor continued to send new prescription orders for other medication which took weeks to review. This occurred while I had no recourse for my much-needed migraine medication.

Finally, I received a prerecorded message from Express Scripts that after review, the medication was denied. This message was the same day that a my local pharmacy called to say Express Scripts had approved it. The inability to ever receive accurate information left me powerless and I suffered many days without my medication. Then I received the best news of all: the State switched to OptumRx and all of the troubles are gone. This company is professional, responsible, and I have not had one issue with my medication. Even though my issues with Express Scripts has been resolved, I have a compassion for those who have no recourse and suffer due to the lack of concern and utter incompetence of Express Scripts.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

Original review: April 10, 2019

After several calls and and online email my issue was not resolved. I even asked to speak to a manager and she was downright rude. I'd rather pay the script price then have to deal with them. I've been in the corporate world for over 25 years and I can say this company does not care about their customers.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Retired combat veteran using Express Scripts. Wife diagnosed with cancer. Possibly caused by water contamination at Camp Lejeune in 60's and 70's. Express Scripts to provide **. Does not. Many calls by family and our physician. Seems no one at ES has a clue. Supposed to ship this vital medicine on Sunday to arrive Monday. Went online Monday to discover RX cancelled. Said they called, left message. No message. Appears ES does not want to issue prescription. Found out there are MANY complaints about this issue with ES. Contacting my congressman. Are there any class actions against this company?

Original review: April 10, 2019

So far I am not impressed with Express Scripts. I was forced to switch to them or else I would be paying full price for my meds. I really like going to CVS to get 3 months' worth of my medicine. This place has been a hassle since day 1. I have not even received my first order yet from them. I wanted overnight delivery and still have yet to receive anything. I made my order last week! No one has helped me with the situation and one of the people I talked to had no idea what to even say. They call me daily about a medication that I don't need refilled right now but the one I do need no one seems to want to help me with. I'm not happy.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have had nothing but issues with this company. No matter how many times I call to address issues nothing ever gets done. I hate that this is a necessity for my insurance company. It’s almost worth paying non-insurance prices just to not have to deal with them. First, there is no auto renew. Like what the heck. I use this company for my birth control. Obviously I that it year round, 365 days. I want to just plug in my credit card information and get auto charged and not think about it and never be without my prescription. But for some reason they can’t do this. Which is absurd. This is the 21st century.

Secondly, they do not send reminders when it is time to renew, so you don’t know when you’re almost out unless you’re diligently keeping track. They swear they are capable of sending reminder emails but I have called 5 times at least over many months and have never had the issue resolved despite them allegedly having the correct email on file.

Third, because it is a joint account with multiple family members listed as dependents, for some reason it is appropriate to be sharing an account with my mother and sister. I assume because of this, my credit card was charged for my sister’s prescription. Why there was no sort of verification that needed to take place as far as a credit card code or pin for each card is ridiculous.

Fourth, today my sister received a call from Sxpress Scripts looking for me, by name, to update me on a prescription. I called Express Scripts who assured me that they have my correct phone number on file and my sisters phone number is not linked at all to my personal account settings. So WTH!? They said, “oh maybe your sister accidentally put your phone number down in her account settings”. Which, first of all no, we’re not dumb. And secondly, if that was the case, they would be calling me looking for her, not calling her looking for me. I absolutely despise this company.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I cancelled a script with this company 4 months prior to refilling my other meds. They refused to accept a return and offer a refund. They have done the same exact thing again. They will hold all other meds hostage until the bill is paid for the wrong meds they send after repeatedly being told not to. Paying $400 a month for health insurance and have to deal with extortion to get meds is less than pleasant. Better off going to Walmart for 90 day prescriptions than giving this filth any money.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I was connected to a representative by the name of Tim, which I could not understand. When asked to speak to someone else, he hung up. I called back and spoke to Jordan and had to basically ask if I could get a word in, it was as if she was trying to rush me off the phone without letting me talk. After finally getting a word in, I am being told I would have to be mailed my prescriptions in order to receive a discount. After looking at the reviews of (1) Star Ratings this is not the way I wish to go, nor should I be forced/threatened to do.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I just received a my prescribed drug from Express Scripts through the USPS. I was supposed to get 90 pills. There were only 75 in the bottle. So I checked another one I had received last week. Again, supposed to be 90 pills. There were only 62 in that bottle. They are charging for 90 pills but supplying far less.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Getting a prescription has become an ordeal with E.S. It has been taking two weeks to get an order processed and delivered. Heaven forbid if you request something out of the norm; prior authorizations take forever, standard shipping is terrible and takes too long, if you have questions it’s impossible to get a straight answer. It’s almost worth paying a premium and fill prescriptions locally. A person should not to invest this much time to get prescriptions.

Original review: April 5, 2019

Everything these people are saying I have experienced as well. My temperature sensitive medication did not arrive on Tuesday as promised. It’s Friday. I still don’t have it and my blood sugars are high. This is not my first go round with them and I went as long as I could with a different pharmacy but they just increase the price to $500 or more so you have no choice. It’s more then Aggravating. I am printing off all these complaints and mailing to the head office of the company I work for. Maybe if everyone did this they might take a look at this pharmacy and choose one that we have affordable options. People don’t know what to do with real paper so hopefully it will get someone’s attention.

Original review: April 5, 2019

My own experience where I am forced to get my medication through email and at higher costs because of the arrangement between these folks and my Insurance carrier is awful. The arrangement makes acquisition of my drug through local pharmacies prohibitively expensive. This company charges both me and my insurance almost thrice as much as I could obtain this drug through WalMart without assistance from my health insurance. As of today, they charge me for ** inhaler over $500 plus additional payment from my insurer while Walmart and Kroger pharmacies comparable offer is below $500 - without any additional payments from insurance. I had to fight their forced on me deliveries and billing of another medication that I never ordered from them due to cheaper alternative elsewhere.

As I write this, I see in my email "We got your request" from Express Scripts which prepares me for another exchange of correspondence and denials - I did not request anything from them in over a year! All of above is supported by documentation in my possession, and available upon request. This company, 25th in Forbes list of successful enterprises ought to be investigated by Congress, if our lawmakers really care about goodwill of people they represent.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I spent over two hours on the phone yesterday with ES. I spoke to five, yes (5) people and they all gave me different pricing. I shelled out over $500 in the last two months on medications. They don’t know what they are doing. I spoke to a supervisor and was totally baffled by her Ignorance to know her job. They are ripping people off. I went to the President's office at corporate to file a complaint and I’m not stopping there.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Biggest complaint for me is the fact I am forced to use them through benefits from work. Often times I *WAS* able to get good deals when I chose to use local pharmacies to fulfill meds, then they started forcing me to use their mail-order option, which often times is 60% or more expensive than what I was getting from local pharmacies.

At this point I thought, it was a cost savings issue. So I compared what charges were passed on to employer's insurance where I found that they were also billing them more for the medication than the local pharmacies! What a ripoff... Their fulfillment process is quite dated in comparison to any other company doing business on the internet... No status updates as to what stage your order is in, and inconsistent shipped notifications, sometimes none at all. ** If I didn't have Informed Delivery from the USPS I wouldn't have known they had shipped and a few Rx's would have been stuck in mailbox for days. A huge concern for patients that have medications that needs to be refrigerated.

Website is very limited in what you can do, no online chat or messaging available within it and you have to really hunt for a way to contact them. Finally, their bottles/labels are decades old... In a day and age when identity theft and medical fraud are commonplace they continue to use labels that are difficult to remove after use, and the bottles cannot be environmentally friendly.

Original review: April 4, 2019

If I could have given a negative amount of stars I would. It's now been the 3rd month in a row that ordering my prescription has required multiple phone calls. My Dr did everything that was required, and Express Scripts still can't get it right. Unfortunately I don't have a choice since my insurance company deals with them. If you can, stay away! Briovax was much more reliable.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Our doctor sent Express Scripts a new prescription for taking our same medication twice a day, instead of once a day. Express Scripts waited until the day the once a day prescription ended to send the new prescription order. Since we were taking two pills every day, we ran out of medication before Express Scripts sent the pills from the new prescription. They recommended getting more pills at the local pharmacy, which they would not pay for. I called about this problem 3 times. The phone representatives could only tell us what it says on the computer and do not know how to resolve glitches like this. They do not involve someone with more authority. There is no recourse or complaint procedure.

Original review: April 2, 2019

My insurance requires use of Express Scripts to fill prescriptions, but two of my doctor's offices are having trouble communicating with them to get my prescription to them. I have called multiple times. Spending hours to get 5 prescriptions filled. I would shudder to think how long it would take for more than that to be filled. I am still waiting for 3 of my prescriptions to be filled from 2 doctors offices. I started requesting the prescriptions in January. It’s now April.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I spoke to 5 different customer service reps, over a 6 day period, always assured that my prescription would Be processed in a time sensitive manner. I was promised 5 times. On the last day before my insurance expired I finally got a supervisor who told me this was not possible, and never had been. I wasted hours on the phone, not only for nothing, but had they told me this before, I could have done something before my insurance coverage ran out.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Jerks!!! Seizure medication is not sent as requested!!! 24 conversations in the past 4 years and they still screw up!! Inconsiderate **!!! This is how to go out of business!! Do NOT DEAL with THEM!!! Will REGRET IT!!!

Original review: March 30, 2019

For years my husband's employer has provided drug coverage through this company. Since the first of the year we have had problems with every prescription filled at the local pharmacy of our choice. We can pay an exorbitant price, change pharmacies or get mail order. These manipulative business practices seem unethical and definitely not in keeping with a free enterprise market. This should be stopped immediately!

Original review: March 30, 2019

I have seizures & I'm 18 weeks pregnant so it's kind of a big deal. 1st I get a request saying it's time to refill my script & give me a button to push in order to do so. Then I get an update saying I attempted it refill my scripts too soon & now my script on hold another 3 months even though it had already been 3 months since my last refill. I called & they admitted it was a glitch in their system & processed my script & said they overnight it to me. Next day I get another email saying, "Your script must have a prior authorization but we take of it." 5 days later no change. So I call again & they tell me I had to make all those arrangements. Get your system together. So now here I sit 2 weeks w/ no meds. I just pray I don't have seizure & miscarry!!!!

Original review: March 30, 2019

That have the automatic refill of prescription. This is my second time asking them to take me off from this forced default auto refill system. This is a rip-off in simple language. I received my medicine in mail which I never asked for. Before refilling my medicine I am supposed to see my doctor and consult with her to continue taking my medication. Now I am sitting with this medication along with my previous same medicine with a supply of 25 days left. So I will put it this way. It's all about business. I hope they take this rip-off automated refill system off and allow patients and doctor to control their medicine dosages.

Original review: March 29, 2019

It is unfortunate that I have to write this - but it was a painful and unproductive experience trying to remove an invoice that I was never supposed to receive. They sign you up automatically and make it extremely difficult to cancel and then tell you they cannot stop the invoice, the system does it automatically! EEK - I have never heard such nonsense - delivered robotically, as if reading a script & not understanding the words they are reading. With this type of service and the other low ratings I saw, I hope that you get what you deserve.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 28, 2019

Mailed refrigerated medicine before I said to and it sat on porch for 1 week with no notification. Was waiting till got back from out of town to order. Now it’s bad and being charged $200. Won’t refund or send replacement. They said I need to start all over and I’m currently out. Constant runaround playing with people's lives!

Original review: March 27, 2019

Every time I try to simply refill a prescription it's a giant hassle. Now I'm sitting here, completely out of my medication, because apparently they can't even do simple math. They held my prescription because they said it wasn't eligible to refill until March 27, since last refill was for 90 days. The time between last refill, December 9, and March 27 is 111 days! They are 100% incompetent!

Original review: March 26, 2019

When I call and am given a ship date, I know I will have to call back between 3 and 5 more times to ask once AGAIN for a ship date. Very difficult to understand customer service personnel so I ask each time I call for them to repeat the ship date. The date comes and goes so I call back AGAIN on the promised date and will again be given a new date. Once again, process is repeated. AND repeated. Just cannot understand why it is so difficult to give an accurate, understandable, answer to a very simple question. It should never be necessary to even make ONE phone call as the ship date should be readily available on their website. This just plain should not be rocket science!! I also simply cannot be the only customer who does not understand what language they are sort of speaking.

Original review: March 26, 2019

First, it will take 20-30 minutes on hold before anyone answers. I have spent collectively 3.5hrs on hold and still have no resolution. ESI failed to refill my husband’s mail Rx. When I called they assured me that once they receive the Rx from his doc they would next day the mediation. A week AFTER they received it they got around to sending it and then it was delivered to the wrong address. No one knows where and seemingly doesn’t care. Their solution was to start the process all over. Meanwhile my husband is still out of his meds. I asked for just a short supply to cover at a retail Rx until they can ship but I have to restart the process by contacting his doc and wasting their time fixing the ESI screw up. Forget the mail order. The money you save is not worth the headache.

Express Scripts Company Information