Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.17/5

Express Scripts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

We call Express Scripts pharmacy for prescription transfers on a daily basis. The people taking calls are not trained at all!! They take their own time in taking all the information, after which they either drop the calls or drop them to a totally different lane. It takes at least 45 minutes just to transfer one prescription to them! I can't believe that a company as big as Express Scripts doesn't invest in training their customer service people!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

I have a plan D with a large deductible with a company that uses Express Scripts for their mail order service. Normally mail order costs are at or below local retail, but Express Scripts is above. My first order for two generic prescriptions was about $20 each although both are available locally for half that. I figured OK for the convenience and not having to go out during the pandemic. I just went to reorder only to find both prescriptions had gone up to $30 each in the last three months. A 50% bump on both in just three months?? I called to confirm this and the lady, although very nice and understanding, had no explanation. Time to go elsewhere for my drugs.

Express Scripts response

My name is Shanta and we are sorry that you had a negative experience. We would like to make sure your issue is resolved and does not occur in the future. We would like to discuss your situation further please reply to this message with your telephone number, your address include zip code, and I can have someone reach out. Thank you

Get buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Blue Cross Blue Shield is my insurance company. They contract with Express Scripts to manage my prescriptions. In April 2020 I met my max out-of-pocket expense amount. Since then ES has been screwing with me and I’ve had to continue paying for prescriptions when I should be paying zero $$. They ignore the info provided them by BCBS, and fail to respond to requests for help from myself and BCBS. This is not what I’m paying a high insurance premium for! I blame both companies for lack of correction and solution.

Express Scripts response

Thank you for allowing us to assist.

Shanta J

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: July 28, 2020

They make a mistake and the customer pays for it. This has happened to me twice now with Express Scripts, in addition to the multiple inconveniences created by their system. The first time, the wrong medication was sent and when I let them know I was told it could not be returned and I had to pay the $150 if I wanted to continue using mail order. Needless to say, I stopped using that service. Unfortunately, my insurance company now requires us to use Express Scripts for maintenance medications so I was forced to use them again. In short time another mistake was made for which I am being penalized-there was no invoice with my order and I had just paid them, apparently for another medication, so I thought my balance was zero. Thus, with no invoice, I made no additional payment. Now our medications will not be sent until I pay in advance, slowing down delivery time and creating another inconvenience.

And to make matters worse, today I went online to pay in advance for my most recent order and it said my balance was zero! I had to call to get the balance. Again, all of this because Express Scripts made a mistake. Good customer service is more than having nice representatives, which they are, it’s about accountability and taking responsibility for your mistakes. Had that happened, this would be a very different review.

Express Scripts response

We just wanted to follow up with you and let you know help is still here if needed. Feel free to email ExpressRxHelp@express-scripts.com or reply to this message at any time with your information. Have a great day! -Shanta

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: July 24, 2020

I need to save money like everyone else and unfortunately don't always have a choice of other options with insurance. They notify you if they can't send out a prescription yet (text option), but won't notify you when filling something -even if your provider accidentally sent it to the wrong pharmacy and you don't want or need it yet. My provider was making sure I had enough refills on my regular meds while in my annual appointment. In this case, one of my meds I usually get cheaper locally, accidentally got sent to Express Scripts (unknown to me) and sent with a bill for 2.5 times what I can get it for locally. You sign an agreement stating "You authorize us to retain on file your payment card details that you used to make this purchase and to charge your payment card

account to pay for any prescription orders requested by you."

They then send you something you did not request and that was mistakenly sent to the wrong pharmacy by your provider (it's easy to make that mistake - I'm a provider - it's crazy trying to get multiple refills done at a appointment when some go local, some mail order - and at an annual you just make sure they have enough refills for the year - they may not need it yet.) Yet they then tell you they can't do anything about it. They apparently "can't" notify me before sending so I cancel - "can't" make it so I have to request it (though same agreement states web/app - you go in and request a med/refill). They just tell you that your provider sending it counts as a request.

I can tell you how hectic it can be for a provider - and how easy it is to send a med to the wrong pharmacy the way a lot of computers are set up. I can choose not to pick up a prescription and not get charged at a pharmacy. It seems unfortunate (or maybe just a way for another big company to make more money at our expense) not to have the same choice. Unfortunately, most insurances offer substantial savings (most the time - has to be the right quantity/med, etc) to use mail order. So then I'm stuck - I either go in monthly locally (limited hours-small town pharmacy), pay more in copays, or save hopefully overall but get screwed if something is sent to the wrong pharmacy or if a provider does the responsible thing and sends refills in - or they have to take extra time and write to hold until requested on EVERY prescription. Come on - providers are busy enough.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: July 23, 2020

My mother is required by her insurance company to use this service for her medication but they are very unreliable. She constantly runs out of her meds and despite the fact that my sister & I have called repeatedly, we cannot get it figured out. They send text messages saying that refills are on the way, but they don’t come even though they are paid for. Customer service people have thick accents and are difficult to understand. They do not have direct lines either so you cannot talk to the same person if you have to call back. It’s always someone new. Very frustrating!!

Original review: July 20, 2020

I submitted a request to have a refrigerated RX be filled through them because that is what they require after two fills from a local pharmacy which is Walgreens who they have the Walgreens 90 day thing with. This was on July 12th. July 16 I check via my phone and it said processing and no shipment date was given. I check via PC Friday because I realize that I have to take my weekly dose this past Sunday and still have not received my order that is temperature-sensitive. I received so many different explanations and answers from their customer service people. I told them several times that I was out. They made no attempt to cover the med so I could pick it up at Walgreens. So much more went on... Skipping ahead to today.

They told me to contact my Dr who was closed Friday to tell them to approve the request they sent. I asked my Dr to do it and ask them why they didn't approve the request. My Dr said they didn't get the request. I asked Express Scripts to verify the Dr and they have sent my RX and my Personal Information to some place else in Kansas. Even after my Dr sent in a new RX, I still have to wait till the end of the week instead of them doing the right thing and making an exception to get my meds from Walgreens... Did I mention this was a RX that has to be refrigerated.

Original review: July 20, 2020

During the time doing business with mail order Express Scripts for a comp related injury, everything was fine in the beginning, my dr. would send in the script and the next day it was at my door! Now I never get my scripts even in the same week, I get a lot of run around replyies, a real crappy attitude from customer service and I don't get the script I need most? Now I get 1 of 3 scripts after a long argument with customer service and it's not the one I really need?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: July 15, 2020

I can only warn you not to use this mail order company. They've gotten orders messed up countless times. One can wait on hold for over 1/2 hour at times. (Today I spent a total of 2 hours between speaking to someone and being on hold.) Their website is terrible. You can not send messages and you cannot compare prices easily. I am done with Express Scripts and done with my anxiety hitting the roof. I will pay a few dollars more at a retail pharmacy.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: July 12, 2020

I have had prescription insurance coverage for the past 40+ years. I have never seen so many price increases, it's unbelievable. More price increases in the past 6 months than I have experienced in the last decade.

Hello Walter,