3.39/5
Based on 1,148 ratings submitted in the last year

2971 Express Scripts Consumer Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I have attempted re-filling prescriptions with this company numerous times and at first, it was advantageous because I was receiving my medications for a much lower rate than I originally was at my local pharmacy. Now, however, if I mail in a prescription or my doctor sends one in electronically, I have gone weeks without my prescriptions and it negatively impacts my work and daily routine. They will constantly stick to a policy of believing they have not made any sort of mistake when their company is the common factor in my prescription delays.

From now on, I have decided to re-fill my prescriptions at my local pharmacy rather than Express Scripts. I would rather fill my prescriptions for a higher cost than have a constant one-to-two week delay in receiving my prescriptions that are clearly written for me for a reason—this is not ** that I may sometimes need periodically, or I would not pay NEARLY as much for these drugs. If you have an alternative to filling your prescriptions here, USE IT.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I retired a year and a half ago and replaced my prescription insurance with Express Scripts. The first year it was fine. This year they filled prescriptions until August when they decided I still had insurance with my previous company. I spent hours on the phone on August 1 having left the pharmacy without my prescription. A representative told me the error was corrected. I got two of my three prescriptions, but they said I could not get ** and I would have to get my doctor to write a prescription for straight ** instead. Today when I went in to get it the pharmacist said Express Scripts said they were not primary. I called ES and they said they were correcting the eligibility issue and I could pick up my prescription. I returned to the pharmacy. The pharmacist said ES now said the prescription required prior authorization, so I left without it.

I called my doctor who told me to just download a coupon from Good RX and I could get the prescription at a very low cost. I did that and got my medication. I called ES to just express dissatisfaction with my ES experience. I asked to speak with a supervisor. She told me that the system still showed my old insurance was primary despite what the prior four customer service representatives told me. She said ES could not fix it until my old insurance company called them. I called United (my old company) and they were super.

They called ES with me on the line and told them my coverage with them ended March 30,2018. The ES representative said they were changing it in the system. I have no faith that I will not go through this whole debacle again the next time I need a prescription. Worst customer service experience with health insurance ever! The ES supervisor never apologized for all the aggravation they put me through not only with eligibility but not stating during the first attempt to get ** that not only would they not cover it, but even straight ** would require prior authorization. BTW I am paying more for my ES plan than what they pay for the two prescriptions I am normally on.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

My medical insurance company recently added Express Scripts to our plan to handle prescriptions. In one month my prescription copay went from $10 to $162. Their explanation was that “the cost of the medication *might* have gone up.” Without giving me actual proof as to if this is actually true. The first time I called them, I spent 45 minutes on hold being transferred from person to person and then after not helping me at all they finally just transferred me to their preferred pharmacy, Accredo (and they are not much better).

The second time I called, after talking to Accredo many times and also learning nothing and being told to contact Express Scripts again, the rep was pretty rude and told me she was going to transfer me to Accredo again. I said, "No, they literally just told me to call you." She puts me on hold for a minute and then comes back to say “ok I’m transferring you to Accredo now ok. Thanks. Have a good day. Byeeee!” Without letting me get a word in. Of course Accredo couldn’t help me again and literally transferred me back to express scripts where they offered me no help AGAIN. I’m so sick of being tossed back and forth between these incompetent companies. I’ve never had such problems with any insurance company in my life.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

These idiots will not let me use CVS for my most expensive drugs (surprise surprise). So I have to wait in one day every single month to get these drugs via UPS, who deliver up till 8pm. Bloody joke and a waste of a day.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Employees have a chip on their shoulders. Treat customers like an annoyance rather that a consumer. I have found this time and again when I call regarding my benefits. I would never recommend this company to anyone who has a choice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

This company is horrible. After waiting weeks for my prescription they me twice what I was quoted. I tell them to never send it to me again because I can get it cheaper anywhere else and they agree. 5 days later they mail me the prescription anyway and charge my health savings card $320. 2 weeks later after hours on the phone mostly on hold and talking to at least a dozen people they say a courtesy credit for half is the best they can do. They don't dispute these facts and agree that they have corrected the error that allowed the prescription to be mailed. But I still have to pay. How is this legal to have to pay when I told them not to send it to me?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 31, 2019

I chose Express Scripts as my Medicare Part B provider as their premiums were low and affordable on my fixed income. I live in subsidized housing and must provide documentation of my medical expenses in a timely manner before the re-certification meeting. Each time I request the necessary statements of the past year, I never know what will show up in the mail. This year I received nothing. I just got off the phone with 5 different people trying to get the papers faxed to my caseworker. They don't have the capability of faxing I was told. I reminded each person that this is the USA and we fax a lot. I was told they are individuals who work from home!! GASP! Hence they cannot FAX. Needless to say, I will be choosing another Medicare part D provider when open enrollment comes in October.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 30, 2019

I think this company does not know how to -or doesn't care- to correct issues their customers have (in general). I have gone as far as written to Tricare who hires Express Scripts (for military) to voice my complaints that are not resolved. My desired outcome is with problem resolution or contract another company who can do the job. This problem may seem minor, but is a good example how they operate. I get a 90 day supply of a very small pill in a very large bottle. I think 50 times that prescription would fit in that large bottle. The problem exists when traveling by air. You are limited by space and there is no way I can legally combine or rebottle the prescription. So I asked them if they could help with this issue. The first problem is they make it very difficult to get through the phone prompts and talk to an actual live person.

The folks working there seem nice enough but not only do I get conflicting information on each of the approximately six times I have asked about this issue but they made the problem worse! Now instead of getting a 90 day supply in a huge bottle they split that amount between TWO HUGE bottles!!!! UNACCEPTABLE. I think the most correct answer I received from their customer no service is that their machines can only use one size container for their mass distribution. If that does not meet customer needs then I say to Tricare contract to another company that can adjust to the customers needs or let us fill our prescriptions at a local pharmacy. I am about problem resolution not supporting a company that is indifferent to their customers.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I realized after returning home from a trip on a Saturday that my inhaler was out. I desperately needed it so I did a Chat message with a Rep. at E.S. This person first told me that they do not transfer scripts, and that my doctor would need to write a new one. I explained that it was Saturday, and I was out and have difficulty with my breathing. She then said I could have my pharmacist call their pharmacist, and they could do it. She gave me a number, which turned out to be the member services number, not the number for my pharmacist to call. My local pharmacist tried and tried to get through on that number, and wasted lots of time, to no avail. I struggled for two days until Monday, when my doctor sent another prescription to Walgreens. I will NEVER do business with E.S. again. They hijack your prescriptions, and do not even care that you desperately need them.

Original review: July 29, 2019

My husband had an active account with Express Scripts. He later called and cancelled his service before he retired. Express Scripts sent out his insulin anyway without his authorization. He called and spoke with several csr who gave out the wrong information before speaking to a supervisor. The supervisor credited our bank account for the full credit. He was advised to contact his former employer and cancelled his plan. He called and we thought everything was done.

Today I receive a invoice stating that we owe for his prescription. I called customer service and they advised me that my husband is on my insurance plan and that they are shipping out his prescriptions. I advised the csr that we have cancelled their service and that we will ship it back. The csr told me that I cannot ship the package back because of the contents and it is going to their warehouse. I responded, "how is that my problem?" This company is so shady and untrustworthy. They are trying to make us take the prescription that we cancelled.

Express Scripts Company Information