Express Scripts

Compare Pharmacy Benefit Management

Research top Pharmacy Benefit Management recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Most unhelpful, disorganized company to talk with. They consistently lose my order in the mail and when I try to get another order they say "it's too soon to fill" according to their paperwork. They tell you that you must contact your local pharmacy for short term-supply. Always trying to pass the buck to someone else. Spent an hour trying to call back and forth between the local pharmacy and Express Scripts. Local pharmacy was finally able to help me.

I spent hours at least 15 hours on the phone, on the web and following up with Express Scripts in past 2 weeks. My doctor's nurse spent two long phone calls, on hold for 40 minutes for one call. During each phone call, and this includes the doctor's phone calls, VERY different information was shared. Facts that were different. And none of the facts were right!!! We will send it overnight. (It took 4 days). This prescription will be a 30 days, a 60 day, a 90 day-- heard all 3. Would get off the phone, check the app and it was then not what they said. Call back... no explanation. More followups. I can't even begin to explain the incompetence. I do not blame the workers, I credit this complete experience to the company's training, mission, culture, and leadership. I would urge you, with full gusto, to turn elsewhere and avoid this time sink.

Just made my monthly call to Express Scripts as I needed to refill an Rx. I gave them the Rx number which clearly stated that I had 3 refills remaining. I was then informed that they had canceled it back in April. I asked why I was never informed or how I would know it. The Rx requires a prior authorization from my physician and now I will have to wait until Monday for me to contact my doctor to have them submit the form.

Last month a Rx that I ordered was also canceled. Why? I had received an email saying it was shipped and the following day I got an email saying it was canceled. I called them to find out what the story was and after speaking to a few different people, no one could give me a logical answer. They are the worst company to deal with when it comes to getting an Rx filled easily and reliably. Why do I use them? Simple, they are the company on my healthcare insurance plan. Would love to know why the plan uses them as they are horrible. I guess it is a case of dollars and cents, no concern for the well being of people.

From 2016 to 2017 Express Scripts (ES) has increased the price of my 8 prescriptions 87.5%. One went up 1,345% and my already most expensive Rx for diabetes which has been on the market for year doubled in price. And the 87.5% does not include a $250 charge in Express Scripts added to each of mine and my wife's Rx charge on the first of each year because we each have a brand name medication. We have no choice since it’s from our retirement systems.

Additionally, ES recently changed the medication bottles and labels and eliminated some information we used to keep track of timing. And, the new bottle/label combination requires a half hour soak in hot water to remove the label. We live in a large facility and feel a strong need to keep any information out of the sight and hands of any of the trash/recycling handlers. The ES website is an absolute pain and the refill reminder e-mails are out of touch from when we can actually get refills. And more, any problems we've had have been equal pains to reconcile. I suppose ES could be worse for retirees and I'm sure it will be based on our total experiences.

I was called and told that Express Scripts was out of **! The number one oral drug for type 2 diabetic people. And also told that they didn't know when it would be in stock again. Totally unacceptable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

This is the second time I've tried to use this service as recommended by my Work Comp insurance. In May the physician's office screwed up, but instead of verifying to correct the order, they deleted it. On who's authority they deleted it, I have no idea. I was down to one day's worth of medication for nerve pain before I actually got my medication. It took a phone call from my claim's adjustor to them, and me having to go to a local pharmacy to pick up medication, then receiving the medication from them later.

Now I've been waiting for three weeks for a refill to be processed, one medication was shipped, supposed to be 2 day shipping per the rep I spoke to, but it's already been 5 and still don't have it. The second medication is supposed to ship three days from now, two and a half weeks after it was ordered, so don't expect it until the middle of next week, and I'm already out of this medication. Two strikes, I'm not going to go for a third. I've contacted the claims adjustor and requested that I be able to get my medication locally, not have to wait three weeks plus to get medication to control pain from a fractured vertebrae. Ridiculous.

Placed an order for 3 Rxs and system stated expectation on shipment date within 3-5 days, a week later find out a 1/3 Rx delayed for 3 weeks - UNACCEPTABLE. They should notify customers whose health is dependent on this medication that there is such a ridiculous delay and help sort out options. Had to get Walgreens to step in and help out. Express Scripts thinks bothering my doctor is the answer - like they have time to fix the POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE issues and call around town to give Rxs out. I hate that I am tied to this company Express Scripts - I will definitely be using our company social media to help get another provider to REPLACE Express Scripts. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE that impacts my HEALTH and WELFARE!

Multiple calls and two unanswered written appeals which were never answered bring me here. Strong armed into accepting EScripts mail order when they stopped authorizing my Rx at my local pharmacy. The first of a half dozen clerks I spoke with told me my ** which I was getting at the Retail Pharmacy for $25 a month would now be just pennies shy of $1900.00 Don't worry because that changed to $680 and 545 before going back up to 1900. One of my blood pressure medications that at Retail was $8.00 with a manufacture assistance program is now 185 at EScripts and another has gone from zero to $385. Not to mention the medication for a brain tumor and as I'm allergic to statins, the medication my physician had me on for a trial basis which lowered my lipids from the 390's down to 30 without shutting down my kidneys the way **'s did when they almost killed me.

EScripts wants me to restart statins to prove they can potentially kill me or put me on dialysis and the kidney transplant list before they authorize the new medication. I was on hold for two of the three hours on a call to them last week, and again different people contradicted the previous person, including the manager who said according to his records I'd met my deductible and out of pocket and should not be paying anything. He told me that I should not feel bad because most people don't understand how insurance works. I had asked when finally forced to be browbeaten into using EScripts, that anything mailed to me require a signature, and I be notified by email of the shipment due to multiple mail thefts in my neighborhood since the opening of the local Metro light rail which crosses through several gang infested areas.

They sent the first Rx in a plastic envelope small enough to fit in my mail box. The second was a box which was scanned as delivered into the mail room at my building, but I never got. At first the rep tried to make it my fault, but admitted that the notes said I requested signature only, and why, as well as their failure to do so. A promise for immediate shipping of replacement meds was made, which took over two weeks before they shipped and to date I'm waiting on.

Today I got a message to check my EScripts account for a message. It said they were sorry they had been so problematic and had tried to call me today (Sunday) at 640PM (which I'm assuming was Eastern time), as I read the message at 4PM Pacific, but they did not have my number; well a check of my phone, no call, as they said, but that begs the question, how did they have my number earlier this week when I got four hangups and when I let the No Name, with the same 800 number as the hangups. I got a message from EScripts that they have been trying to reach me, and to call them back with a long claim number and my ID number for them and my insurance date of birth, mother’s maiden name, and a half dozen other things. In my opinion EScripts may be one of the leading causes of preventable hospitalizations and deaths for insured individuals we will be seeing over the next couple of years.

Updated on 07/16/2017: EScripts Reply: “My name is Adam and we are sorry that you had a negative experience. We would like to discuss your situation further. Please reply to this message with your member ID number, full name, telephone number and your address including zip code to ExpressRxHelp@express-scripts.com. We can have someone reach out. Thank you.”

My retort: If I only had a penny for the number of times I've heard from EScripts, "we are sorry that you had a negative experience..." The numerous times I've been on the phone. Much of it on hold while they try to wrangle a "supervisor" who gives a different account, and copay amount, or tells me they don't know why I'm being charged because their records tell them that I've met my deductible and copay. Then to add insult to injury they tell me, "Well you just don't understand how insurance works." I've been hung up on with an Oh S. When I tell them I'm a nurse and have worked for the insurance company for almost 20 yrs. so I think I know something about insurance, and when a hireling lies to me.

No I won't reply with all the information you've asked for. Why you ask? You cannot ensure I'll talk to the same person, your employees usually don't read the notes when the previous 25 people have given me all sorts of crazy and contradictory statements. That's when they don't straight out lie to me. Based on the postings of others here, it's not a unique situation. So cut and paste all the apologies you want, I have no trust that you Adam or the others who work at EScripts can or will be of assistance to anyone on this board.

If EScripts provided the services they were contracted to, rather than behaved in the manner that caused two states to successfully sue them for millions of dollars they took which should have been returned to the Medicare recipients in their states, or the multi million dollar lawsuit from Anthem for over billing and other nefarious practices, they would not have to hire people to act like EScripts cares here and on other complaint boards.

They are notorious for passing the buck. Not that any of my old issues have ever been resolved, but now there are new ones. Living in an apartment complex, they have made it complicated just adding a line requesting USPS to bring directly to my apartment & not to the office - especially for controlled substances which I should only be signing for, not ANYONE who is in the leasing office. USPS seems to be trying to help me, why isn't Express Scripts taking ANY responsibility for their part? They say once it's out of their hands, not their problem it's up to who is delivering. Then once it's delivered it's out of their hands so regardless of it actually getting to me or not, since they obviously don't ensure it & already have made it clear how much I mean as a customer. Then if there are any issues it's on me!

I've proven time & time again what they have on the website isn't always correct & the fact that reps I speak to don't always put in correct information so I end up looking bad no matter who I try to get more information from. Even called just now asking about a specific medication that I've been tracking, it's always had main info being NOT SHIPPED YET & ETA for shipping 7/7. I even spoke to a 2nd level supervisor last night about many things & this was one of them, he didn't say anything had changed. Of course yet again I look today & now it says Prescription Request Has Been Received!? It never said it had been waiting for one, like others I have that are STILL saying that from the same time this was requested & they don't have estimated delivery dates. So I ask to speak with a manager, not a 1st level or even 2nd level supervisor (like last night), but that was what I got again...

He says he is a supervisor, won't send me to a manager, said he is also a pharmacy specialist & I told him at this point I don't think he's at the level I need because I was finally getting results before by filing a complaint here & getting 1 person through your DOD department but wait he's also from the DOD department too. He asked for me to give him a chance & took a while for him to even allow me to speak. Needless to say his solution was to use a different pharmacy company, NOT them or another address. He read notes & of course tried to tell me things that were not quite right because he wasn't listening to me. This goes on with the problems I had with him, he had no good reasons for more issues with my medication not having updated information & no one informing me when I directly asked... some things he blamed on me.

Later I said I will have to try to have another 1 contact person from the DOD department & he asked what I meant by that... I told him since he is in that department he should know, then he started to hesitate & that's when I told him there's a difference between customer service & the DOD department within ES, but he said he's can handle it. I guess that's what he meant by being a pharmacy specialist or whatever he called himself in that position too! Who knows exactly what his real title is but I'm about to file with the BBB reading ALL of these other complaints on here. My problems wouldn't have to escalate IF someone actually cared & did their job right the first time, put in all the right important notes (NOT writing I LOST my medication!), etc... I actually gave 2 stars because of the fact that I KNOW there is at least the 2% left of the company who care about us & take our concerns seriously.

After a few emails to the assistants at my physician's office, in which we went back and forth about whether a refill request had actually been sent to Express Scripts (they insisted they had, on the original date, and I said I believed them but that the problem was on Express Script's end and that it might take making another request for the mail order drug company's tracking system to actually start the process of prescription fulfillment) I finally got my meds. It took them ten days to do so, but given some of the horror stories written by parents who had to wait far longer than that for insulin shipments for their children, I can live with

Cheri of Strasburg, CO on

Original Review

So I have my physician call in a three-month supply of **, an injected drug for Type 1 diabetes. I get a call that same day from Express Scripts saying they need address verification before they can ship the medication to me. Their automated calling system gives me an old address, one that I haven't lived at for seven years, which I find weird, because they've been sending my other meds, like insulin and pills and such, to my correct address all this time. So I tell the bot on the other end of the line, "NO" when it asks me to verify my old address, which sends me directly (and supposedly) to a human. Then I wait on the phone for ten minutes, to grainy, repetitive muzak, only to have the system tell me, "This line is busy. Please call back at another time."

The original message told me I only had two days to confirm the address, or they wouldn't process the order at all. So I try again. And again. On the fourth try, I get a human. I go through the process of giving her all of my information and having to repeat it to her several times because she "just can't hear" me — even while I'm trying to enunciate into my phone. Then, she suddenly tells me that "I don't have authorization to deal with this account — You're with Anthem BCBS — and I need to transfer you to someone else." THAT's never happened before when I've needed to contact them.

So there's another wait of about 3-4 minutes and I get another customer service rep, who makes me repeat the whole "Give me your information" routine, speaking over me and cutting me off when I try to describe my problem, which is supposedly a simple address verification. So I finally give him the info, getting angrier and angrier as this farce proceeds, and then he announces that they have had the correct address all along and that there is no prescription renewal on file for the drug in question.

Now, please explain to me why I got a phone call, asking for address verification if the doctor's office did not phone in the prescription in the first place? Good God, this had to be the most incompetent, poorly-run horror show of a company, and what makes this worse is that people depend on it to deliver life-saving medication. Incompetency here can result in sick or dead people. When he told me that there was no prescription, I hung up, after sarcastically asking the question at the beginning of this paragraph.

Now I have to call my doctor back, get his staff to phone in another 3-month supply to this travesty of a company, and hope to hell I actually get my medicine in the next two weeks, because I only have a few days of doses left, and my insurance won't let me use a local pharmacy for anything other than one month's worth of supplies, for three times the copay, which is already exorbitant for a Tier 4 drug.

This company needs a better phone navigation system, better training for its customer service reps and for GOD'S SAKE, a way to transfer customer identifying information from one rep to another without forcing the poor patient to repeatedly give the same damned info over and over and over to various people who then forward the patient to yet another person who for some stupid reason, can't help them either. I hate having to call them at all.

I am not sure I have the words to describe my disappointment with this company. In the 18+ months I have been a client/patient, I have not had a single positive experience or have completed a phone call where I was not left frustrated and angry. The staff is very rude, unwilling/unable to problem solve, lack empathy and compassion, and have no desire to be helpful. It is always a fiasco ordering my specialty medication or any refill of medication for that matter.

I do not appreciate having to order my medication through this pharmacy to have my insurance pay for the medications. If I want to pick it up at the pharmacy down the street from where I work, I have to pay 8 to 10 times more. I think that their kickback system is inappropriate. I should not have to pay more to pick up a prescription where I choose. I now have all of my medications auto-ship, whether I need them or not, so I do not run out. If I try to order 2 weeks before I run out, they tell me "I can not order yet". If I order when I have 10 to 14 days of medication left, I will run out of medication before it gets to me regardless of which shipping method I choose.

I have briefly skimmed other reviews of this pharmacy, and I ask myself "Why are there so many bad reviews? Why has nothing been done about the quality of service? Why does this pharmacy not take accountability for its actions?" I think the answer is simple. As long as the insurance companies continue to contract pharmacies like this, they are going to get paid no matter how they treat people.

Since day 1, they have been nothing but problems! I have several serious conditions, including severe ulcerative colitis which maybe Crohn's instead and ankylosing spondylosis in my entire spine. I am on medication to keep the UC in remission, there is a months long fight every 6 months for approval. Leaving me without medication for a period of time risking relapse and possible life-threatening complications. Today, went to urgent care as I could no longer tolerate the pain in my cervical spine. Got a prescription for ** patches as I cannot take NSAIDs and I've tried all the narcotics that they would cover, even ** patches with no relief. They require a PA, so here I am, in an incredible amount of pain, waiting.

I was unaware of the 2 refill at the pharmacy policy so when I went to fill my 3rd prescription, I was told by the Pharmacy that the insurance wouldn't pay it. I paid for my prescription then followed up with Express Scripts. First I was told, "no problem, fill out the Claims For for reimbursement which you can get online. Be sure to include the Pharmacy receipt (the one stapled to the prescription) not the register receipt." Faxed the claim in and received a Denial! The Denial read "THIS IS A DUPLICATE CLAIM, WE HAVE ALREADY PAID YOUR PHARMACY OR APPLIED THE AMOUNT OF THE CLAIM TO YOUR DEDUCTIBLE."

I called ES back and was told, nothing could be done. Requested to speak to the next person in charge and was told that nothing could be done because the Pharmacy had already run the claim so this was a duplicate. We discussed back and forth at length why my paperwork was considered a second claim. What happens is the pharmacy runs the claim through the insurance and if you haven't called ES to request using the pharmacy rather than their mail order service there is a limit of 2 orders. This then places a claim at ES. So when you request a refund because you as the consumer have paid the "large fee", the claims department sees there is an existing claim the pharmacy ran and rejects it. However, they had not already paid my pharmacy or applied the amount of the claim to my deductible.

The supervisor said there was nothing he could do, a claim had already been filed and kept referring to the high cost of the prescription as a penalty. This to me was like ES stealing from their customers because they were stating false statements in the reason for their denial of my claim for reimbursement. I requested to talk to his supervisor. Guess what???? There is an override they can perform to get the claim approved. The 3rd supervisor was very nice, understood the situation and took care of my refund in about 10 minutes. I should have it in the mail in 21 days. I hope this helps those that are looking for a reimbursement. I spent about an hour on the phone to get $117.17 but I was also fighting for the principle. Keep asking to speak to the next one in charge until you get your reimbursement or a response that makes sense.

I take anti-depressants that cost 28.00 at CVS for a 30/day supply, so 90 days would be 84.00. A 90 supply for the same anti-depressants at Express Scripts are 180.00. If I dare to buy them at CVS that is 5 minutes from my house and on my way to and from work, with a DRIVE IN WINDOW and wonderful pharmacy assistants and pharmacists. I have to pay a 100.00 penalty from Express Scripts. So I said okay, I'll buy them from Express Scripts. I put my prescription in (MY LONG STANDING PRESCRIPTION WITH 2 REFILLS left on it) online two weeks before my supply is due to run out. 4 days later I get a note that they have to verify with my doctor that I need this prescription and that she needs to write me a new one. I've been taking this medication for two years. Then 4 days later I get an email that they need to verify my address that they just sent one of my OTHER MEDICATIONS TO.

I verify it online and then they call me on the phone for two more days and threaten to drop my prescription order if I don't call them back by 6/23. I do. Immediately after that I get another email telling me they need a verification and authorization to charge the cost of the prescription to the credit card on file. There's some imaginary authorization cap, (that I never put on the card) and they must call me before they send out anything above the cap. Remember if they had CVS's prices, I wouldn't be anywhere near the cap. So I call, give my name, address (AGAIN), phone numbers, and verify that they can use my credit card. The woman who is clearly not in the U.S. is telling me how they're going to get my medication to me in four days. By this point I have used up 10 days or so of the 14 I had before my prescription was to run out.

They ask me do I have enough pills, I say, "I'm not sure. I don't think so." "Oh so we'll try to get it to you faster. You should have it by Tuesday 6/27." I go on the website on 6/28 because of course my prescription is not here and the website says that it should be in my mailbox today. I go out to see if anything is there, nothing is there. I now have 1 pill left. I take my last pill this morning hoping that my new stash will come today. I get to work and there's an email from Express Scripts that they didn't send out my prescription until today 6/29/17 and that I won't receive it until 7/1/17 and that's an ESTIMATE. No apology, no one saying they've called my doctor and explained the situation. Nothing. So now I have to stop work today, call my doctor and see if they'll give me an emergency count. Which will make the insurance upset and cause me all types of problems at the end of the year with my deductibles.

Or I can be off my medication for a minimum of 3 days or a maximum of 5-6 days and start getting migraines, joint pain, vomitings, and violent mood swings. What kind of company is this? And they've done this not only to me, but to my father who had Alzheimer's. My mother and husband who are diabetics and a neighbor who has MS. What company who is supposed to take care of people treat people like rats. They're truly disgusting.

Express Scripts has been the most frustrating customer service experience of my life. They are highly unorganized and put me on hold for 10+ minutes at a time/transferred me around to various people/gave conflicting information. I've called several times and spent more than two hours total on the phone trying to get a simple issue resolved. End result is my issue has not been resolved. So frustrating! Avoid at all costs!

I have called United Healthcare and their prescription company Express Scripts and they both refuse to allow me to opt out of home delivery. I live in a big city where packages are often stolen and don't want my medication delivered. I have complained to both companies and both tell me to call the other one and they can't help me. So now I am out of my medication that is dangerous to stop and can't afford the $200 out of pocket it would cost so they both screwed over my health! What a waste of a healthcare company!

I'm diabetic. I need both ** and ** in order to live. I ordered both on 6/20 and the nurse-practitioner who sees me ok'd it on 6/21. As of 6/27 it is STILL processing. My doctor said before more than ONE DAY of processing is excessive. I ran out on 6/23. I could DIE without getting it but they still screw around for no reason. This is malpractice.

Express Scripts the company previously Medco it was much better, shipping times for temperature sensitive medication was delivered in one day. Now with Express Scripts it is two days via UPS and it sits on the truck all day and does not get delivered until 7 or 8 p.m. So by the time it reaches me the medication is warm. I explained this information to Express Scripts customer service on 4 occasions since last week including today and was assured that the medicine would shipped overnight to be received by 6/27/2017 only to find out it was shipped two days again. So if the medicine is not usable I will have to start this process over again and will run out of life-saving medicine. Temperature sensitive medication should always be sent overnight, especially since Express Scripts will not allow me to get it from my local pharmacy.

I was hoping that the new company would continue to provide medicine that is cost saving, but they don't. Instead you are only allowed to order medication from their list and you can only fill it 2x at the local pharmacy. The consumer should be able to purchase medications that more economical to them. I also noticed that the medicine has increased by $200 in one month. I also understand that the manufacturer of the medicine gives express scripts an 80% discount that is obviously not passed onto the consumer. I wish something could be done about this price gouging? I also have medication that my husband needs and express scripts does not cover the medication even though a medical condition is the reason he needs the medication. Sound like Express Scripts is not a consumer friendly company. I would like more options and better pricing.

My young adult son fills his prescriptions for his Type 1 diabetes at a local pharmacy each month. The copays seemed awfully high, but after having been reassured by the HR rep at my husband's company last fall, we were sure we would see a huge difference once we met our (high) deductible. Well, met the deductible, have depleted our HRA, and my son went to fill his prescriptions, and was told he needed to pay almost $400. I had not investigated up to this point, but dug around on the Express Scripts website, and found that up to this point, we have paid $1384 in PENALTIES for not participating in their stupid 3 month supply mail order program!! Even if we were just paying the copays WITHOUT the penalties, we can't afford 3 months' worth!?

I am so angry I can hardly think. How can they do this without ensuring that the patient/customer isn't fully aware and notified? I have sent emails through the site, so we will see if they provide me with information to appeal this, because I most definitely will!! I will have to prepare myself over the weekend to make phone calls next week. (And who is this person that gave them 5 stars? Is that for real?)

My problem is the same as all the other 2,400 customer written reviews. The level of incompetence at this company is shocking. Rx are wrong most of the time, they are always days to weeks late in the mail, etc. When you call them, you get a non-English speaking person who reads off a letter what EX SCRIPTS ALLOWS THEM TO SAY... Ask anyone of them what color are their shoes? You will hear the say, "I need a prescription for that"... yes, that is the level of intelligence on their front line people. First, I want my own number to press on my phone for ENGLISH! Apparently if you speak any other language you can get a service rep that you can understand, but if you speak English, any heavily accented foreigner will do just fine. Where is the over sight of drug companies? Who checks to make sure these companies do their jobs correctly?

Express Scripts, which is our prescription coverage co. through my husband's job, is MAKING us use their online prescription service. They are telling us that we have to use Walgreens or their online pharmacy to fill our prescriptions and that we have to fill a 3 month supply at a time. We live out in the country in a small town that has its own pharmacy that does a fantastic job of filling our prescriptions and they know all about what and why we are taking the medications that we do. The nearest Walgreens to us is a 60 mile round trip from where we live and between my husband and I, we take 14 prescriptions. Most of my prescriptions have to be filled around the same time, so to fill them for 3 months at the same time would be a HUGE EXPENSE for us, especially when we are on a fixed income! How is this saving us money!?

This, to me, doesn't seem like it would be legal to FORCE someone to use either their pharmacy or Walgreens. We have had Express Scripts for our prescriptions since my husband started with this company (20 years) and have been filling them at our hometown pharmacy all these years. In March they started sending me letters telling me that we had to use them or Walgreens and we had to fill them for 3 months worth. When I called Express Scripts today, the woman that I talked with said she was sorry, but that's the way it is. It is so frustrating that some company can force you to use their pharmacy or Walgreens and not what is close and convenient to you just makes me so upset that it made me cry!!!

The woman I talked to told me it takes from 10-14 days to receive your prescription but I only have about 2 days left on my insulin and she told me that I would have to call my doctor and have her call in an emergency prescription to last until their service gets my insulin to me. She also told me that it was cheaper to get my prescriptions 3 months at a time so I selected one of them for her to price and it came out to be the exact same price as the monthly price is! I don't understand how they can force you to do this. Is this even legal???

I hate being TOLD that I must use their mail ordering system for my **. I was getting it at my local Walmart for 25 dollars a month and after my third refill I was told it would be over 600 dollars due to their "penalty" rules. At first it was showing that their cost was 90 dollars for a 3 month supply. Now for some reason it is showing 200 dollars!!! I want out of this stupid program. It only saves me a few cents on each prescription, if you don't count their "penalty" that they add to each script. I hope that company that has sued them wins their case!!! Price gouging!!!

This company revises its coverage annually. It seems that the drugs that are in demand get pushed to a higher category. The game seems to be: charge higher and higher co-pays and maybe the patient will just go away and do without the drug. Yet, premiums don't drop. Got gout? Sorry, just suffer. They'll cover the generic but at a sky-high co-pay, but only after applying delaying tactics. They love to put barriers in front, like pre-authorization, just to delay. Maybe you'll get well and they have no cost and still collect the premium.

When I first started using Express Scripts, I was pleased. However, in less than one year, the service has changed from impeccable to horrendous. I received prescriptions from my previous physicians and it took them over 6 weeks to fill the prescriptions. I lashed out at the doctor's office staff members because I thought they were not faxing in the prescriptions, when in fact, they had. Express Scripts kept calling me and telling me they were going to cancel the orders unless they received "validation" to fill from the doctor's office. A signed and faxed electronic script IS validation. I was led to believe that my physician's office staff members were verdantly calling Express Scripts and cancelling the prescriptions, which was not the case.

I spent hours and weeks back and forth with these representatives, and then, when I sent them a payment, they sent my information to subsidiaries to hound me for a payment that was already mailed. I was so frustrated that I sent an extra payment via credit card, and they still refused to acknowledge the payment, and my insurance companies and bizarre subsidiaries were placing successive auto-calls on my mobile phone. I received a prescription on March 23 from the doctor, and just received it on June 16, which is totally and UTTERLY ridiculous.

To this date, they are still not acknowledging payment from the check they cashed, and the bank verified the check was cashed by Express Scripts. The company is still invoicing me for a payment that has already been made! I am receiving non-stop calls from these subsidiaries expecting me to provide them with confidential banking information. Unfortunately, someone forgot to inform the planet that I am not a dumbed down politically correct Orweillian, and that I have no intention of complying to psychological tactics designed to make intelligent people turn into apes.

God created me with a mouth to talk, and with a mind to think and reason. It is FUTILE to pay a company funds that they are going to deposit into their own accounts and have the unmitigated gall to bill someone for a check that was paid not once, but TWICE. I do not want a credit. I want that check to be applied to that invoice. Don't blame me because the election didn't turn out the way you wanted it to. This corporation is hazardous to the health.

I've had my share of online pharmacies and honestly, only have good things to say about Express Scripts. Their app works well, their customer service is friendly and helpful, and have had no problems at all getting my prescriptions on time. I'm sorry for the other folks who had bad experiences, and I surely know what that's like, but my experiences are very favorable. I've had only good luck.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I sent Express Scripts a prescription because they wanted a written one. Well they say they never received it. I had other prescriptions to be filled and they needed more information from my doctor who says she has called them, emailed and faxed them the information. They will not call your doctor, they lose prescriptions. I am not sure how they stay in business. Does someone have to die because of their lack of intelligent before something is done? They are going to end up sending someone the wrong prescription.

I have had an issue with an overactive bladder for quite some time now. I have been prescribed **; all to no avail. Then my doctor gave me some samples of ** that worked wonders for me. When a prescription was ordered Express Scripts refused to cover it. I tried the appeal process and was still denied. I can't afford the $600 to $900 dollar cost myself and don't know where to turn. This health issue is miserable enough. It drives me crazy knowing there is a medication out there that helps and the insurance won't help me with it. This is not the first time this has happened with Express Scripts. A different health issue came up and the initial prescription was denied so the doctor prescribed something else, denied as well. After the 3rd prescription from my doctor got denied I called Express Scripts only to find out that they don't cover anything in that class or group of treatments. I'm disgusted with Express Scripts!!!

On September 29, 2016, my dermatologist filled a new prescription for the first time with Windsor Pharmacy on my behalf. At that time I was charged: $70.00 for a 30 day supply Quantity: (1) 60gm can. Windsor Pharmacy applied a coupon to cover the $70 cost so that my effective Copay was $0.00. On October 17, 2016 my doctor's office attempted to get pre-authorization to refill my prescription by getting in touch with Express Scripts. At this time a pharmacist by the name of J. ** filled it despite me not having ever signed up for mail order prescriptions given the expensive cost of purchasing medications via this method. Additionally I was never contacted by him or anyone else from Express Scripts to authorize this purchase prior to it being shipped to me, therefore the order should never have been filled for these 2 reasons.

Subsequently I received it in the mail and was charged $175.00 for the same medication and for the same amount to my astonishment. I contacted Express Scripts on the November 25th 2016 to clear up this discrepancy and spoke to a pharmacist by the name of Steve who explained to me that Express Scripts received the prescription from my doctor requesting the following dosage: $175.00 for a 60 day supply Quantity: (1) 60g can. Given that my original prescription was for 30 days and I only received 1 can and this second prescription was for 60 days, given that the can only comes in one size (60gm), the only way to fill it would've been to send me 2 cans of medication for a total of 120gms based on me taking the medication once every other day as originally prescribed. Despite the discrepancy between this prescription and my previous one, Express Scripts failed to contact me or my doctor to get clarification.

As a result, I only received one can of the medication despite being charged $175 which is more than half the cost of the medication for the same amounts that I originally got through Windsor Pharmacy. Based on these acts of negligence I am requesting that I be credited the full amount of $175.00 since it should not be my responsibility to have to pay money out of my pocket due to other people's mistakes. Additionally, by filling the prescription without having been notified beforehand, I was not able to use the coupon that I have with the drug manufacturer in order to offset the balance owed in order to have an effective copay of $0.00 as I did with Windsor Pharmacy. Once I pointed this out to Steve he advised me that it would take 72 hours to correct this and that he would transfer me to the billing department to have the $175.00 charge credited back to my account.

I was transferred to Kimberly from the billing department who reviewed my account in order to make the correction. Based on this conversation I was made to believe that this was corrected only to find out several weeks later upon receiving an automated phone call stating that I still owed the amount of $175.00 that this clearly was not straightened out as I was originally made to believe. This is just another instance of negligence on the part of the employees of Express Scripts. When I called to inquire about this phone call that I received it took several subsequent phone calls over the next several weeks with several different supervisors before I was finally able to speak to Kerry on January 10, 2017 who credited me the amount of $105.00 leaving me with the balance owed of $70.00.

Kerry then advised me to contact Empire directly in order to appeal the remaining $70.00 since she was not allowed to reimburse me for more than the $105.00 that she already did. This was only after I asked my doctor to get in touch with Express Scripts to speak to them on my behalf since I was being blown off by the previous supervisors that I spoke to. Given this major inconvenience, it is clear that Express Scripts needs to either develop or revise its procedures for filling electronic prescriptions since had I received a paper prescription as I have in the past, prior to this recent change, this never would've happened for the fact that I never would've filled it with Express Scripts as opposed to doing so with my local pharmacy as has been the case for all these years.

Express Scripts procedures should include ensuring that they contact the patient directly before filling a medication for the sake of ensuring that the medication is not only correct but to also make the patient aware of what the cost will be before it is shipped out to avoid this type of problem from ever happening again. They also need to be better trained in dealing with customers since ultimately it is the customer that is paying for the health insurance coverage NOT the doctor, therefore the customer's opinions and input matters as well as the doctors. Since having faxed this letter on 3/4/17 at 2:31 PM Eastern standard time, I waited for over a month to hear back from Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield and did not, only instead to receive a collection letter from NRA Group, LLC on behalf of the Express Scripts for the amount of $70.

I subsequently contacted Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield on 4/14/17 at 2:45 pm EST to get a status on my appeal and spoke with Joshua, Supervisor of member services only to be told by Joshua that it was not received despite me having phone records to show that it was faxed successfully on March 4, 2017 at 2:31 PM Eastern standard time to fax #: **. Joshua informed me that this number was inaccurate and gave me the following fax number of ** along with a reference number and told me to re-fax it to this number instead and that it would take 30 days to be processed before I would be given a response. When I attempted to validate the initial fax number, I was able to find it online in a grievance file provided by Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield which confirmed it to be correct.

When I tried to validate the ** number given to me by Joshua I was not able to find it online nor was the 411 operator from directory assistance. I therefore decided to get in touch with the collection agency directly and spoke with a supervisor by the name of Michelle ** at 800-360-2998 extension ** on 4/20/17 at 3:30 PM Eastern standard time. I explained my situation to her and was told that she would contact Express Scripts on my behalf to follow up with them and that she would get back in touch with me by 4/27/17 regarding the status on my appeal. I never received a return phone call from her even after contacting her on 4 different occasions starting on 4/28/17, 5/1/17, 5/2/17 and 5/4/17.

Since my conversation with her, I received 3 more collection letters from NRA group, LLC. For these reasons I have decided to file a complaint with both Consumer Affairs and with the Better Business Bureau due to the negligence of Express Scripts in addition to that of Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield and likewise Michelle ** from NRA group in addition to the lack of customer service.

After trying several cholesterol lowing meds we finally found one that worked and didn't make me feel like I had been hit by a Mack truck! After a few years and yearly reviews Express Scripts has decided they aren't going to cover it for me now! So after having a total cholesterol of 187 with the ** it is now up to 267 since running out of it! Guess they think heart disease will be cheaper than paying for my medicine! Oh and my doc and I appealed twice to no avail!

After countless contacts with Express Scripts, I am unable to get the medication that I have taken over the last two years. The only thing that has changed was my doctor, and Express Scripts wants me and my doctor to jump through several more hoops. At this point I am not sure I will get the prescription which I have been without for about one month. In all fairness, the reason for the initial delay was partially my fault, assuming my prescription needs would have been brought to my attention by being notified, through email, that action was needed.

Express Scripts has my email, but seems that to see what's going on with my plan I have to constantly check in with them. What's the purpose of having an email in the first place, if not for communications with me? I think, Express Scripts needs to be investigated, along with the VA, for lack of service to the veteran. Perhaps the administrative dollar is being totally consumed by Express Script staff? Is this a service or is it an economic boondoggle for political cronies?

Expert Review

Jonathan TroutConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Jonathan Trout believes having access to free, comprehensive information on products and businesses is vital to making smart purchasing decisions. He focuses his efforts on researching and reviewing multiple brands across a variety of industries, with the goal of writing unbiased buyers guides to help inform consumers on impending purchases.    More about Jonathan→

Express Scripts is the largest pharmacy benefit management organization in the United States. Acting as the middleman between drug makers and employers, it provides services such as home delivery, specialty pharmacy management and prescription benefits for self-insured companies. Express Scripts also publishes an annual Drug Trend Report that details prescription drug costs and utilization.

• Online account: Express Script members can create an online account to manage their prescriptions. Members can schedule refills, review coverage and pricing information, check an order's status and find detailed drug information. Feature availability depends on each individual plan.
  • Home delivery: Home delivery through Express Scripts allows people who take regularly scheduled, ongoing prescription medication to save time and money with free shipping and handling. Consumers can add items with the “Transfer to Home Delivery” button to their shopping cart, and Express Scripts will reach out to their doctor for approval.
  • Medicare Part D: Express Script offers Medicare Part D plans with home delivery for members who receive Medicare. When choosing a Medicare Part D plan, customers should consider a plan with 24/7 access to a pharmacist as well as each plan’s star rating, premium, deductible and copayments.
  • Mobile app: The Express Scripts mobile app provides convenient access to member accounts from any Apple or Android mobile device. Members can refill prescriptions, schedule ongoing home deliveries and view drug information from anywhere.
  • Accreditation: Express Scripts holds accreditation with the URAC for mail service pharmacy and pharmacy benefit management. It is also accredited with VIPPS.
  • Best for self-insured companies wanting prescription benefits for their employees.

Compare Pharmacy Benefit Management