Express Scripts

Compare Pharmacy Benefit Management

Research top Pharmacy Benefit Management recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I've had my share of online pharmacies and honestly, only have good things to say about Express Scripts. Their app works well, their customer service is friendly and helpful, and have had no problems at all getting my prescriptions on time. I'm sorry for the other folks who had bad experiences, and I surely know what that's like, but my experiences are very favorable. I've had only good luck.

I sent Express Scripts a prescription because they wanted a written one. Well they say they never received it. I had other prescriptions to be filled and they needed more information from my doctor who says she has called them, emailed and faxed them the information. They will not call your doctor, they lose prescriptions. I am not sure how they stay in business. Does someone have to die because of their lack of intelligent before something is done? They are going to end up sending someone the wrong prescription.

I have had an issue with an overactive bladder for quite some time now. I have been prescribed **; all to no avail. Then my doctor gave me some samples of ** that worked wonders for me. When a prescription was ordered Express Scripts refused to cover it. I tried the appeal process and was still denied. I can't afford the $600 to $900 dollar cost myself and don't know where to turn. This health issue is miserable enough. It drives me crazy knowing there is a medication out there that helps and the insurance won't help me with it. This is not the first time this has happened with Express Scripts. A different health issue came up and the initial prescription was denied so the doctor prescribed something else, denied as well. After the 3rd prescription from my doctor got denied I called Express Scripts only to find out that they don't cover anything in that class or group of treatments. I'm disgusted with Express Scripts!!!

On September 29, 2016, my dermatologist filled a new prescription for the first time with Windsor Pharmacy on my behalf. At that time I was charged: $70.00 for a 30 day supply Quantity: (1) 60gm can. Windsor Pharmacy applied a coupon to cover the $70 cost so that my effective Copay was $0.00. On October 17, 2016 my doctor's office attempted to get pre-authorization to refill my prescription by getting in touch with Express Scripts. At this time a pharmacist by the name of J. ** filled it despite me not having ever signed up for mail order prescriptions given the expensive cost of purchasing medications via this method. Additionally I was never contacted by him or anyone else from Express Scripts to authorize this purchase prior to it being shipped to me, therefore the order should never have been filled for these 2 reasons.

Subsequently I received it in the mail and was charged $175.00 for the same medication and for the same amount to my astonishment. I contacted Express Scripts on the November 25th 2016 to clear up this discrepancy and spoke to a pharmacist by the name of Steve who explained to me that Express Scripts received the prescription from my doctor requesting the following dosage: $175.00 for a 60 day supply Quantity: (1) 60g can. Given that my original prescription was for 30 days and I only received 1 can and this second prescription was for 60 days, given that the can only comes in one size (60gm), the only way to fill it would've been to send me 2 cans of medication for a total of 120gms based on me taking the medication once every other day as originally prescribed. Despite the discrepancy between this prescription and my previous one, Express Scripts failed to contact me or my doctor to get clarification.

As a result, I only received one can of the medication despite being charged $175 which is more than half the cost of the medication for the same amounts that I originally got through Windsor Pharmacy. Based on these acts of negligence I am requesting that I be credited the full amount of $175.00 since it should not be my responsibility to have to pay money out of my pocket due to other people's mistakes. Additionally, by filling the prescription without having been notified beforehand, I was not able to use the coupon that I have with the drug manufacturer in order to offset the balance owed in order to have an effective copay of $0.00 as I did with Windsor Pharmacy. Once I pointed this out to Steve he advised me that it would take 72 hours to correct this and that he would transfer me to the billing department to have the $175.00 charge credited back to my account.

I was transferred to Kimberly from the billing department who reviewed my account in order to make the correction. Based on this conversation I was made to believe that this was corrected only to find out several weeks later upon receiving an automated phone call stating that I still owed the amount of $175.00 that this clearly was not straightened out as I was originally made to believe. This is just another instance of negligence on the part of the employees of Express Scripts. When I called to inquire about this phone call that I received it took several subsequent phone calls over the next several weeks with several different supervisors before I was finally able to speak to Kerry on January 10, 2017 who credited me the amount of $105.00 leaving me with the balance owed of $70.00.

Kerry then advised me to contact Empire directly in order to appeal the remaining $70.00 since she was not allowed to reimburse me for more than the $105.00 that she already did. This was only after I asked my doctor to get in touch with Express Scripts to speak to them on my behalf since I was being blown off by the previous supervisors that I spoke to. Given this major inconvenience, it is clear that Express Scripts needs to either develop or revise its procedures for filling electronic prescriptions since had I received a paper prescription as I have in the past, prior to this recent change, this never would've happened for the fact that I never would've filled it with Express Scripts as opposed to doing so with my local pharmacy as has been the case for all these years.

Express Scripts procedures should include ensuring that they contact the patient directly before filling a medication for the sake of ensuring that the medication is not only correct but to also make the patient aware of what the cost will be before it is shipped out to avoid this type of problem from ever happening again. They also need to be better trained in dealing with customers since ultimately it is the customer that is paying for the health insurance coverage NOT the doctor, therefore the customer's opinions and input matters as well as the doctors. Since having faxed this letter on 3/4/17 at 2:31 PM Eastern standard time, I waited for over a month to hear back from Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield and did not, only instead to receive a collection letter from NRA Group, LLC on behalf of the Express Scripts for the amount of $70.

I subsequently contacted Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield on 4/14/17 at 2:45 pm EST to get a status on my appeal and spoke with Joshua, Supervisor of member services only to be told by Joshua that it was not received despite me having phone records to show that it was faxed successfully on March 4, 2017 at 2:31 PM Eastern standard time to fax #: **. Joshua informed me that this number was inaccurate and gave me the following fax number of ** along with a reference number and told me to re-fax it to this number instead and that it would take 30 days to be processed before I would be given a response. When I attempted to validate the initial fax number, I was able to find it online in a grievance file provided by Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield which confirmed it to be correct.

When I tried to validate the ** number given to me by Joshua I was not able to find it online nor was the 411 operator from directory assistance. I therefore decided to get in touch with the collection agency directly and spoke with a supervisor by the name of Michelle ** at 800-360-2998 extension ** on 4/20/17 at 3:30 PM Eastern standard time. I explained my situation to her and was told that she would contact Express Scripts on my behalf to follow up with them and that she would get back in touch with me by 4/27/17 regarding the status on my appeal. I never received a return phone call from her even after contacting her on 4 different occasions starting on 4/28/17, 5/1/17, 5/2/17 and 5/4/17.

Since my conversation with her, I received 3 more collection letters from NRA group, LLC. For these reasons I have decided to file a complaint with both Consumer Affairs and with the Better Business Bureau due to the negligence of Express Scripts in addition to that of Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield and likewise Michelle ** from NRA group in addition to the lack of customer service.

After trying several cholesterol lowing meds we finally found one that worked and didn't make me feel like I had been hit by a Mack truck! After a few years and yearly reviews Express Scripts has decided they aren't going to cover it for me now! So after having a total cholesterol of 187 with the ** it is now up to 267 since running out of it! Guess they think heart disease will be cheaper than paying for my medicine! Oh and my doc and I appealed twice to no avail!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

After countless contacts with Express Scripts, I am unable to get the medication that I have taken over the last two years. The only thing that has changed was my doctor, and Express Scripts wants me and my doctor to jump through several more hoops. At this point I am not sure I will get the prescription which I have been without for about one month. In all fairness, the reason for the initial delay was partially my fault, assuming my prescription needs would have been brought to my attention by being notified, through email, that action was needed.

Express Scripts has my email, but seems that to see what's going on with my plan I have to constantly check in with them. What's the purpose of having an email in the first place, if not for communications with me? I think, Express Scripts needs to be investigated, along with the VA, for lack of service to the veteran. Perhaps the administrative dollar is being totally consumed by Express Script staff? Is this a service or is it an economic boondoggle for political cronies?

I ran out of a prescription that I need. I ordered. They Express Scripts put in on hold for over a month awaiting on my doctor to verify I needed it. They never contacted me or the doctor. I got with doctor and he sent a new prescription. Express Scripts' verified it and sent the order. Then while it was in shipment they recalled it stating the prescription was not ready for refill until August 8. Even though I had run out two months ago and their website stated it was ready for refill. This is one sorry organization. I will not ever order anything from this sorry-ass organization again.

Express Scripts had my debit card on file, even though I have NEVER had them take an auto payment. I always send in the payment once I've received my prescription in the mail. But for some reason this month they took the payment out of my account without permission. I ordered the pills as usual and specifically selected they have the bill sent to me. A few days later I checked my account and saw they took it out. I called and the representative said the only thing she could do was change it so it wouldn't happen again. I'm not convinced it will solve the problem as I never approved it in the first place. I won't use them again, nothing makes me more distrustful of a company than them taking auto payments without permission. That was unacceptable.

Since I started Using Express Scripts, since is an insurance requirement My problem start. A month later after I order them they say to me they need clarification from the doctor for some medication, so I called the doctor's office and they say they talk to them. I called Express Script back and they say everything was ok and they will send me the medication in a few days. After 10 days that I did not see my medication I called Express Scripts and ask for the medication and they say they need a new prescription from the Doctor and clarification and I told them that they speak to the doctor's office already. They says that that was not in the system. Is there any agency that can do something about it? I called my insurance company but they defend them. I was someone that work in an agency read this and do something about it.

I am a type 2 diabetic and have been on medication called ** for more than a year. Express Scripts decided that they weren't going to give us ** anymore. Pick something cheaper or maybe not as good for your body. I don't understand how Tricare have agreed to have the things that Express Scripts is doing to the patients. My sugar levels now it stays in the 200s because I cannot get my ** anymore. My doctor try to get ** for me it was denied. Also want you to try something cheaper. Why should it matter to Express Scripts what the doctor ordered for you. If the doctor says you need to be on a particular medication then that's what it is. Express Scripts is not a doctor.

I would like to know who is going to be responsible for me if I get sicker and turn into a type 1 diabetic because of their thoughts on what medications I should be on to keep me healthy. Who's responsible the doctor or Express Scripts that's playing doctor. I was just denied my medication to maintain my A1C level of 7 and also denied a dietitian. If you don't go to a military base you are denied a dietitian. I don't see what difference it makes whether you're going to a military base. Are you going to a civilian hospital for your services to get a dietitian, but that's Express Scripts. Please Tricare start thinking more about the diabetics. It is a disease and it's not curable. It only can be maintained the right way not the cheap way. If Tricare can't help us who can??? Express Scripts is dangerous to your health. Tricare please find us a better pharmaceutical company. Get rid of Express Scripts. Preventive medicine is good medicine.

My doctor sent a prescription renewal for a medication I've been on for years, and this would have been my first prescription since enrolling with Express Scripts. Simply put, they claimed that they needed my doctor to submit the Rx to Express Script's "review board" to determine whether or not my prescription was "medically necessary" prior to filling it. So, a financial analyst from the insurance provider and not MY PHYSICIAN will make the final determination as to whether or not I need a medication? Excuse my French but that is **. I'm withdrawing from this worthless plan and switching to someone else at first opportunity.

Express Scripts shipped medicine without approval of customer and charge my account. They didn't wait until the customer say ok. Medicine supposed to be in the refrigerator. But since they did not put instruction on the package not to leave it outside, the UPS worker left it outside my home while I went for a trip for a week. When I returned back from the trip I called them. Why they ship medicine without my authorization. They blamed the Dr. The Dr. did his job by sending prescription to the file whenever I need it to order from Express Scripts. By the way I am a diabetic patient and injecting insulin all the time. They refused to return but charged me. I talk with the supervisor and she refused to cancel the charge. What unfair situation. How come very sensitive medicine left outside? Someone please help me!!!

They called me today threatening to put me in a different med group because I owe $16.00. We always send extra. I am so sick of getting my med from Express Scripts. I am going to look for better service.

I have my prescription coverage through Express Scripts (ES). When my company switched coverage in 2017, I instantly knew it would be a problem working with ES as it has been in the past. First, I had to struggle with them to get specialty medication for a chronic condition. Today, they charged a $98.00 PENALTY because I had a prescription filled at a local retail pharmacy. They charged this penalty even though I have met my out of pocket deductible for the year and my plan should pay 100%. They are trying to force me to use the mail order pharmacy even though I'm not sure if my doctor will even keep me on this medication as he is trying different options depending on my response to the meds.

There has to be someone at this pharmacy who has a brain to understand that one set of rules will not always apply to every person's medical situation and there should be a one-time override or exception available for these situations. The sad part is I am fortunate to have two health insurance plans (UHC and Tricare) and unfortunately, they both use the sub-par ES pharmacy. For goodness sakes, Tricare dropped CVS when they should have dropped ES. I will also be sending a letter of complaint to my employer regarding this pharmacy.

After my first incident with ES and my online complaint, they contacted me to see how they could do better. Here's the answer... Get it right the first time before your customers become so frustrated they decide to post written complaints about the terrible service you provide. Take the time to look at all the complaints and one-star ratings on the web regarding your company. That is not a coincidence. You're getting it all wrong and the only reason you're not out of business is because our health plans force us to use your services. I hope the penalty you charged me was worth it.

I am marking this as resolved, however I am upset that the medication my husband needed was mailed without us knowing it was on it's way. There is a 100 limit on my card before authorization, and I never was contacted about it before 175.00 was charged on my card. I received a call that the shot had been received at my doctor's office, yet I had said multiple times, I didn't want the shot, I wasn't going to pay $300.00 for it. I called on 5/22 and asked why when I said I didn't want the shot, was it mailed? I am not paying the $300.00 for it. The rep looked and, go figure, couldn't find any notes of what was discussed on the phone call from 5/20. He connected me to Acreedo, and had me use a discount card to get the shot down to $60.00. I am still not happy about having to pay that much, but there's nothing I can do now. I still am very upset that I had to go through all this to get my husband's diabetic meds. Please don't call me, you can't do anything to fix what was done. I am not the only one in my office that has had something like this happen. I have 2 other co-workers who have gone to our HR about Express Scripts, and all they are told, is what they are doing is in the contract between our employer and Express Scripts.

Kira of New Carlisle, OH on

Original Review

I was prescribed an injection to help with some health problems I was having. I was told by my dr, that they would send over the precert and ES would call me. I needed to answer the phone to get the injection. I waited 3 days, and called ES. I was told Accredo would be handling my injection, and they got them on the phone. I asked how long it would take to get a call back and was given a 24 hr timeframe.

When they called me, it was all things they could have seen from my account. "Was the injection going to my house?" "When was my next appointment." This was something they could have asked when I called in. I am still waiting for any type of call back about this situation. The last time this happened, the doctor's office worked it out so I didn't have to pay for any of it. If they would have called and let me know, I would have been able to see if they could do that again or wanted to prescribe a different medication.

My husband went to the doctor's last week and needed a refill on his diabetic medication. I talked to the nurse and told her that we were getting nasty letters saying we couldn't get the medication at the local pharmacy without paying full cost and it would have to be ordered through ES. We waited a few days and I called ES to see what was going on. I called and was told I owed $475.84 before any medication would be mailed. I went through the roof. I was never notified that the injection was over $300.00 and the diabetic meds cost more through ES, than the pharmacy.

I was told, "If I could get it cheaper, I need to go there." I repeatedly told her that all I wanted was the diabetic meds, my husband is now out of the meds. I was told either pay all of the money, or I got none of it. I asked how it was legal for them to hold his medication hostage until I paid for the injection. I never got an answer. I hung up and sent an email voicing my being upset, and how is it legal to hold medicine hostage.

If I were to go to the local pharmacy, they wouldn't make me pay for my meds in order to get my husband's medication. The email I got back from ES was that they could put me on a payment plan for the injection - nothing about my husband's medication not being filled or that I could pay only for his. They had better hope he doesn't end up in the hospital since his medication is gone!

I had a terrible time getting the prescription that I need. It literally took two months and 5 phone calls for them to finally ship my medication. They told me on three different occasions that after they got their issues figured out they would call me back. I never received any phone calls. They just let problems go if you don't demand action and stay on the phone... for hours. On top of that, after they said they would expedite my medication because of how long it took, instead, they did standard taking an extra week to arrive. It still hasn't arrived but I'm told it will be here today.

Every time I order my scripts from them. They claim they don't receive one script. I order 7 scripts at a time. Please all UAW members if you have a problem with them call your uaw rep and tell them to get rid of them.

Express Scripts sends refills too often. They do not wait the required days. This happens over and over. Our home looks like a pharmacy at times. We have removed ourselves from automatic refills and Express Scripts still sends automatic refills. They do not correctly keep track of refills. An American customer service rep agreed with me and changed the refill amount to the correct one. They have a foreign regular customer service call center. All reps are difficult to understand. Most reps have a hard time understanding what I am saying. It appears that their internet customer service is in St. Louis.

Express Scripts will say anything to get you off of the phone. Express Scripts always blames the doctor for not responding to refill requests. When I call my doctor's office, they tell me they have replied to Express Scripts days ago. When I price shop, I find I can get the same prescriptions filled at a local grocery store with a cheaper copay and cheaper insurance cost than some of the prescriptions I receive from Express Scripts.

I can barely breathe again, no thanks to this low budget degenerative, should never be in business Express Scripts. These scum bag low-life should not have a damn job. Workers of Express Crime Squad should be sued by every dissatisfied consumers on this damn website. In fact, I can honestly tell you all that my insurance carrier 1199 had me dealing with these misfits. They claimed my ** injections was going to cost me $1300 out of pocket dollars and 1199 was only paying $888 of this $2200 prescription. I refused to pay this amount and they stopped my free 90 day supply of water pills for my blood pressure which they caused on numerous phone calls with their retarded acting asses. I did get the injections and never paid them that ridiculous amount.

I called 1199 and informed them out the gate that if they ever and I mean ever send my prescriptions to Express Scripts that I will bring a multi-million dollar lawsuit against them as well as Express Scripts. When any insurance carrier deal with these ignorant ass Express Script reps, they are contributing to your bad health and not giving a damn. They all must know our President Trump very well because each one have a different lie to tell when you are trying to get your business straightened out with them. Now 1199 have me going to Rite Aid to pick up all my prescriptions when I'm ready to go and I am now a happy camper with my pressure where it should be. The State and Federal Attorney General Offices should be notified when you are going through the bs with this company. With that said, wishing you all a Happy Mother's Day.

They limit your prescriptions without any notice. They "advertise" you will get 90 days of medication, then cut you short saying your plan limits the amount of medication you can receive. What? Your doctor must apply for an override. What? My doctor already did override the amount by submitting a prescription. It takes them 10 days to refill your order. So, if you miss the window, you miss your medication. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SERVICE. Quitting the service. Do you really think these guys are going to be courteous and prompt to release my prescriptions? STAY AWAY FROM THIS SERVICE.

Working with the Express Scripts team has been incredibly stressful & unsuccessful. I processed a prescription REFILL with them 2 weeks ago, and they have had an excessive amount of processing questions & obstacles - none of which seemed difficult or time consuming to navigate, but each processing question has arisen within days after each other, rather than all at once, so I am now going on my 3rd week without my medication. I am being told the order will ship within 4-6 days but I've been told this 3 times over 2 weeks. If not for the fact that I am forced to work with Express Scripts through my corporation, I would not continue to use their services. Their process is very broken.

My company switched to Express Scripts a few years ago and last year they made it 'MANDATORY' to use the mail order for prescriptions. I tried. It took 2 weeks to get my meds. I have diabetes, and I was OUT for 2 weeks. My blood sugars spiked to over 400 and I started to have serious side effects from not having my medications. I put them on auto fill and in MULTIPLE instances, I would get an email 2 weeks before I am out that they are preparing to process my prescription. Only to find out when I check as I am close to out, that the order was cancelled and the new order can be processed in a year. Yes May 1, 2018. WHAT!

After last year's, experience, I began filling my prescriptions locally, the medications are new, name brand, and expensive, but I have a manufacturer's coupon/discount card, so they cost me $5 a month. Express Scripts wants to charge me $341 for 3 months. Why would I pay that? Until bam, one month they decide to charge me a 'Penalty fee' of $421 through my local pharmacy. So now they get to hold my medications hostage, they refuse to refund my 'Penalty Fee' will not approve any further prescriptions through the local pharmacy, and have the nerve to have managers call me (suggesting they might help) only to say they can't process the medication until I pay them, yet THEY HAVE MY HSA CARD ON FILE.

I ask again, how is their business considered legal? I have a daughter with several medical and mental health issues, and I refuse to fill any of her meds through their mail order service. At this point, her physician writes hand-written prescriptions each month that have to be taken into the pharmacy to filled, but I fear one day getting hit with another *ransom* aka penalty fee at the local pharmacy. This seems more like extortion than health care.

(Gail) NC, I feel your frustrations, same runaround here on probably the same meds. My Dr absolute hates this company and told me this time he would never call them again so I finally had Express Scripts fax papers and it was filled out and sent back. When I checked online guess what? Yep, cancelled. I went cold turkey, calling, emailing, nothing helps. I wonder if anyone knows if a company like this can be sued? This is life and death we're talking about and is very serious. It is a pitiful day when a person you have never seen can refuse a medication that a first class Dr has prescribed for you. I will be changing companies as soon as possible, I can't go thru the agony of dealing with such unprofessional people.

A pharmacist knows the dangers of going off a prescription without help but by the time you figure out you're not going to get your medicine it's way too late for an apology and all of the endless runarounds. I truly feel that Express Scripts must enjoy playing with lives and has no consideration for a sick patient. I'm pretty sure my Dr knows my condition better than they do. Bottom line (Express Scripts) does not care for a human life or any compassion. I pray that everyone on this site can do better. God bless and help you all.

UPDATED ON 06/06/2017: I was able to resolve my problems with ES baby going online to Medicare. Gov and finding another company that accepts my medication. I urge anyone that has been given the run around of being lied to over their Prior authorization forms. I had called ES so many times knowing my Dr had filled the papers out and faxed them back but ES would deny it or give me some other reason all the while I was doing without my meds.

The new company I have will give me a confirmation number of the recorded phone call when I call, so now I have proof of any calls whereas ES would deny that you have called them at all. I tried my best to deal with this company for years and really had no trouble until the last two years but it was enough for me to move on and I'm glad I did. I wish I had found ConsumerAffairs a long time ago and had read up but I've learned along the way. I wish you all the best and remember that the open enrollment is coming up soon. I have what is called extra help and it enabled me to switch to another pharmacy company now without waiting for the open enrollment. Please check it out folks, we don't have to be treated this way. God bless.

First of all I have two issues, with Express Scripts, and then with a chat representative. Just keep in mind that I pay a monthly premium to have Express Scripts be my pharmacy, and they cannot keep medications on hand. Issue one, my Dr submitted in an RX on 5/2. On 5/5 Express Scripts contacted my spouse at work and gave a reference number. I contacted Express Scripts via chat and gave the reference number. The chat rep advised me that Express Scripts is completely out of a medication. This is a common drug used by diabetics. So how they can be out of 2 versions of it is just disgraceful. No explanation except that I need to speak to the pharmacist. Well the pharmacist should have CONTACTED ME. I have a job and I do not have time to waste on the phone with Express Scripts. This is also days later after my Dr sent the prescription in.

Issue two, I chatted with Christopher **. He was very rude. Would not give a specific reason why both versions of my medication were out. Then I asked him to make it to where once the medicine comes back in, that it does not auto fill and send it out. When I asked him if he had done this, he got all smart mouth and tried to drop the chat. So I asked 10 times to speak to a supervisor. He refused saying that I need to call in. Again I have a job and I am at work and I do not want to waste my lunch on the phone with Express Scripts. I should not have to call in. It's 2017 and the internet is practically everywhere.

So after the 10th time, I asked him if he would show his supervisor his chat because I was really upset. He refused. So I asked for his supervisor's name and he refused to give it out. Regardless of me specifically that I would call in to speak to his supervisor. So he refused to answer my questions and assist me. On top of Express Scripts being out of my medication.

I have Anthem Blue Cross who mandates I use Express Scripts. Since I need monthly shipments, I gave Express Scripts my credit card for purchases. After placing an order, the Express Scripts representative asks if I wish to pay using the credit card on file and I always say yes. Since last year, Express Scripts has been sending me emails that my bill is overdue a month or so after placing an order. When I call to check on it, they quote me the exact price of the meds I previously ordered and paid. I refuse to pay again for the meds and ask why they're billing me again when they have my card on file. I'm always told I need to have the card place on auto ship and that will take care of the problem. I told the rep that I question their accounting practices and will not do it.

Now I get periodic messages that my account is in the arrears for over $4000.00 (I haven't used them long enough to accumulate such a bill). When I call on that I'm told my account is so messed up, if I just pay $45.00 that will clear my account. I called Anthem Blue Cross and they tell me they only handle the medical paperwork and Express Scripts handles the medication since they have the contract. When I ask to speak with Blue Cross personnel in charge of the contract, I'm told there is no one to talk with. I have stopped using Express Scripts and will see how long I can go without my meds. I believe Express Scripts is double charging me and Anthem Blue Cross has turned a blind eye to the problem. I'm writing my congresswoman next, but I doubt anything will come of it. I'm wondering if anyone else is having similar problems. I would like to find a law firm to investigate a class action suit.

This is the second time I have voiced complaints about Express Scripts. As a veteran we are TOLD we have to use this company and it is a disgrace to veterans and their families. The latest issue (one of many) concerns their shipping. I had received a Tracking # for my migraine meds but nothing would show up. So I waited a few days and tried again with no results. I called Express Scripts and they said they had been using a new delivery system with DHL and I asked them why since it was obvious it wasn't working well. A week had gone by with still no info showing up on my tracking #. Express Scripts told me they are "experimenting" with DHL, sometimes using them and sometimes not.

I again asked why are you using a shipping company that takes my meds 7-10 days to arrive when before that was not an issue. So I called the USPS to ask them and even they could NOT find the tracking #. How can Express Scripts give out tracking numbers and they can't be tracked? Everything with them is no, no and NO. I think it is horrible that military families are subjected to this terrible care. I'm getting real close to using Walmart or Goody RX. My husband has also been waiting since the 26th to get his RX and was told it should be here today. He had a RX with one refill and called it in and was told he couldn't have a refill even though it says on the bottle and he would have to call his dr. So he had to call his dr and get 7 pills and the refill was supposed to be taken care of. This has never happened before either. All these new rules and nobody tells you UNTIL you are going to run out.

Not sure why DOD is letting this company manage our meds. Horrible reviews and horrible service. I just received my migraine meds as a generic made by Mylan and I have to take 2 to even feel a reduction in pain. My first question is why am I getting this brand generic? Isn't this the company that charged over 600 DOLLARS for EPIPENS? Why would the gov't do business with them? Now I have to go back to my doctor again and explain again how Express Scripts again is sending me a drug that does not work and my doctor will then have to write a letter and explain to Express Scripts it does not work. I need brand name and Express Scripts will spill their usual quote. Generics work as well as brand name... Really these people to be put out to pasture somewhere. The aggravation and frustration levels are reaching epidemic levels.

Express Scripts finally approved daughter's drug but not until after we had already solved the problem by changing companies; even though they claimed they had never received any of the paperwork, it seemed funny that it was approved around the time that I posted this complaint.

Gail of Asheboro, NC on

Original Review

My daughter was in a serious car wreck years ago breaking her back in 3 places, breaking her pelvis in 2 places & received a head & neck injury. She requires 2 ** time release pills daily to be able to tolerate the pain & to even function. [This drug is very tightly controlled requiring a new prescription monthly & cannot be submitted electronically.] She has had Express Scripts for over 10 years & initially they covered the drug. Suddenly they stopped covering it & we had to go thru a Formulary Exception ordeal yearly. This year they even cut her time down from 12 months to only 9 months so we had to start in December. We mailed the documentation as required from doctor requiring a signature of receipt. It was received. We did not get any confirmation of getting it so she started calling them getting the run-a-round; her doctor's office finally directly submitted the request from there -- still no answer.

The drug store called & was told it was approved so they filled the medication. We then received a letter telling her that was a complimentary fill & she would have to go thru the Formulary Request submitting paperwork. Again I mailed the entire packet again by Certified mail so now I had almost $20 in postage alone. I also, the same day, Faxed the packet from Staples & it was confirmed that they received it. That was another $10. I got the signed receipt back also as before in December. Still no response. She started calling every number we could find again staying on the phone for 2 full days. She was told by 1 person that we sent all the paperwork to the wrong state but it was the address in the letter. Finally that woman supposedly called her doctor's office & called her back telling her it had been approved for 12 months.

In the meantime we go to the SHIP people & since she gets extra help she was able to switch companies which we did & it will be effective May 1st. She took her prescription that day to get it filled -- drug store had already tried running it thru & supposedly it was ok. When they filled it & ran it it was declined -- We're talking about a $450 a month prescription w/o insurance help. She is a single mom so money is very, very tight. Note - Insurance knows that if she does not have this medication she will have to go into drug rehab -- It is the only medication that helps & you cannot just stop taking it. She goes back home & tries to call Express Scripts but is put on hold indefinitely. Then she gets an automated voice call telling her that she tried to fill a prescription not covered by them & she would have to go thru a special Formulary Exception procedure -- We have been doing so since mid-December.

We have been getting this "Formulary Exception" for approximately 7 years now. If they had simply told us they would not cover it that would be one thing but instead they are lying - saying they have not received any paperwork from us or from the doctor. My question is: I have 2 different names that signed - where is the paperwork??? I manage an elderly apartment complex for the lower-income elderly so I help my people deal with these Medicare Drug Companies on a regular basis - This company is by far the worst. I am so mad right now that they had best be glad we're not face to face.

Express Scripts does not care about their customers -- Their employees evidently are liars - I am so glad to be able to get her away from them. I plan to file a Medicare Complaint but I am finding that is a difficult thing to do so evidently they are not concerned with any backlash from Medicare. I will be more than happy to submit copies of the signed receipts where the packets were received by Express Scripts if anyone needs to verify this.

I am displeased, and even more, very disheartened by the treatment I have received from the customer care staff at Express Scripts. I have spoken with many of their representatives over the past few months regarding prior authorization of a medicine I require to maintain a normal life and employment. This medicine is neither a controlled substance, nor does the cost in any way affect the representatives' finances or performance reviews, so I cannot understand why so many of them are unable or unwilling to assist me?

Each time I call, I am given a different answer, either it is approved, or it is not. If not, the blame is always placed upon my physician or my Health Plan, which has contracted Express Scripts to manage our Pharmacy claims. And each time I attempt to have my prescription filled, it is incorrect, either in number or date of refill, both of which are controlled by Express Scripts.

My physician has spent weeks with them, working to get all of the necessary forms provided in the necessary way. She made a very simple, easily understandable request. After the staff at Express Scripts filed her request for one week (by their own admission) when I called again they approved the script for only 30 days. Additionally, the way in which their approval was worded only allowed me to fill the script one time before it expired, for one-half the number of tablets needed! When I called to inquire about the approval, I was put on speakerphone, and the collective staff members were coaching the speaking representative what to ask next. I feel my physician's time has been wasted, and I have been made a fool, many times over, apparently.

Because we have to use them per insurance Cigna... Every refill they do not know how to count 3 months. Refill in November (3 month supply), next refill in May. WTF! Asked for a vacation override (refill to ship on Wednesday, my Husband leaves the previous Friday). One week early is all I needed. Told no problem, override in place. 3 days later, no prescription. Call - will be shipped on Wednesday. If you are calling for a problem, tell the first person you speak to, "I need your manager", tell the manager "I need your manager" and then you might get some help.

Updated on 5/8/2017: To add to the problems I've previously written about... This weekend (May 6) I logged in because one of my husband's prescriptions was very low (4 pills left)... What had happened to the automatic refill shipment? You stopped providing automatic refills on **, and did not notify us! How in the world am I supposed to know you stopped an automatic refill on one of our prescriptions! Just thinking of your company has me in anger and frustration!

Express Scripts doubles as prescription drug insurance and pharmacy - the company will strong arm you into snail mail prescription refills for maintenance drugs and they do it through constantly denying refills from local pharmacies so that you have to call in. And they do this no matter what the story is that the next customer representative gives you.

After I began my coverage, I was warned by the ES that if I did not fill my maintenance drugs through mail, I would pay a higher price. I called the company and was told by a customer service rep that I would not be covered AT ALL unless I used ES mail order service. I called back later and asked to speak to a supervisor, who very kindly spent time on the phone with me, telling me that my prescriptions would be covered through a local pharmacy, just at a higher price; he went through each of my prescriptions with me and told me the cost difference, and I told him which one I wanted to switch to mail order for savings - every other prescription didn't offer much or any savings, and I preferred to use my pharmacist.

The next time I tried to refill a prescription, it was denied and I had to call ES three (!) times from the pharmacy to get an "exception" as there was no record of my previous conversation and the customer service rep once again insisted that I had to switch to mail order for any insurance coverage at all. I gave in and called back from my car and asked to switch my prescription from my pharmacy to ES. The next customer service rep told me that I had to call my doctor for a brand new prescription, as ES does not transfer prescriptions from pharmacies.

Ever since, I have chosen to pay out of pocket and have been researching ways to drop my prescription insurance from my health insurance policy. The good news is that this week, Anthem announced it is dropping ES. It can't be soon enough!!! People need to complain - LOUDLY - over business models like this. It puts a wedge between patients and their healthcare providers (in this case, the pharmacist), limits choice and completely does away with convenience, puts unnecessary strains on accountability to consumers, and is ethically questionable in terms of business practice. Don't use ES unless you have to!

Expert Review

Jonathan TroutConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Jonathan Trout believes having access to free, comprehensive information on products and businesses is vital to making smart purchasing decisions. He focuses his efforts on researching and reviewing multiple brands across a variety of industries, with the goal of writing unbiased buyers guides to help inform consumers on impending purchases.    More about Jonathan→

Express Scripts is the largest pharmacy benefit management organization in the United States. Acting as the middleman between drug makers and employers, it provides services such as home delivery, specialty pharmacy management and prescription benefits for self-insured companies. Express Scripts also publishes an annual Drug Trend Report that details prescription drug costs and utilization.

• Online account: Express Script members can create an online account to manage their prescriptions. Members can schedule refills, review coverage and pricing information, check an order's status and find detailed drug information. Feature availability depends on each individual plan.
  • Home delivery: Home delivery through Express Scripts allows people who take regularly scheduled, ongoing prescription medication to save time and money with free shipping and handling. Consumers can add items with the “Transfer to Home Delivery” button to their shopping cart, and Express Scripts will reach out to their doctor for approval.
  • Medicare Part D: Express Script offers Medicare Part D plans with home delivery for members who receive Medicare. When choosing a Medicare Part D plan, customers should consider a plan with 24/7 access to a pharmacist as well as each plan’s star rating, premium, deductible and copayments.
  • Mobile app: The Express Scripts mobile app provides convenient access to member accounts from any Apple or Android mobile device. Members can refill prescriptions, schedule ongoing home deliveries and view drug information from anywhere.
  • Accreditation: Express Scripts holds accreditation with the URAC for mail service pharmacy and pharmacy benefit management. It is also accredited with VIPPS.
  • Best for self-insured companies wanting prescription benefits for their employees.

Compare Pharmacy Benefit Management