1.49/5
Based on 303 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

2649 Express Scripts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

Back and Forth with my Doctor and Express Scripts for Medication for **. My doctor did a justification for prescription, but Express Scripts denied. Instead only option is to purchase a much more expensive cream. They won't pay anything on the Shingles inoculation because I'm not 62. I ordered ** from China for $11.00 online (no prescription). Express Scripts is all about how much they can make and they don't care about people needing prescriptions.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My husband has been on one medication for a number of years just fine. Now suddenly they insist that there might be a POTENTIALLY SAFER drug that he needs to try. This would be fine if the copay was still $5 but the new drug copay is $26.40. Express Scripts blames the employer but the employer states they don't tell Express Scripts what to do, they just hire them to manage the program as they see fit. Prior to this, Express Scripts took a 90 day RX for $5 and made the new rule 83 days for $5. They are shorting the patient 1 week every 3 months and pocketing the difference. Express Scripts does not care about the patient, only their bottom line (which is more money in their pockets) as the driving force to managing the prescriptions for thousands of people.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2018

No wonder my doctor warned me about Express Scripts. I tried to renew a prescription and their website would not renew it until 90 days after it was previously filled. I called and said I would be out of it by then. After 3 phone calls, they agreed to renew it 3 weeks earlier. On that date, I checked their website and they changed it back to the later date. When I checked again on that date, they changed it to 2 days later. So now they say they will ship it 92 days after my last prescription was filled. So I will not receive it until when??? I will not use them ever again. Their prices are good, but their service is awful.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I am supposed to get 3 month of RX at a time which I have been getting for the past few years, last rx sent out had only 2 month for the same price. I called Express Scripts numerous times, my doctor called also with no outcome. I am getting penalized by Express Scripts. I'm short one month and had to pay an extra $20.00. There is no reasoning with them. If I didn't have to go through them I wouldn't. This pharmacy is horrible. Nothing but trouble.

Original review: June 5, 2018

This company is a joke! If I could rate it -10 I would. They shipped to an old address after 7 months of shipping to the new one. When I called to find out where my blood pressure and asthma inhalers were they told me they shipped them to the old address and that if I wanted them to resend I had to pay another $200!!! It's just blood pressure and being able to breathe so I suppose I shouldn't get too upset! I'll never use this company again... In fact I hope they go out of business real soon so they don't rip off or potentially KILL someone again... Burn in hell Express Scripts!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

Original review: June 1, 2018

Well today was the fourth error and my fourth experience with Express Scripts. The first one was when they did not notify me that my prescription needed renewal, had tried to contact the wrong doctor, and so failed to have it renewed, failed to notify me, and then therefore failed to send me my medication. I have an autoimmune disease and require injections biweekly and the result of missing my injections mean I get a bad flare up usually resulting in me not being able to walk. I will need this medication for the rest of my life to function and slow the disease progression.

The second instance occurred when they switched their policy so they could no longer drop the medication off on my porch - in a very safe neighbourhood. They attempted delivery - did not inform me that a signature was required, and the delivery person was not able to deliver my medication. When it was not received I called the pharmacy - which they then informed me that they could not deliver it without confirmation, and so they would send it out the following business day, which was two days later and past my injection date.

The third occurrence was again, I stayed home on a Friday to ensure I was home while someone was to deliver my medication, and no one came. I called the pharmacy that evening to see what the holdup was, in which they informed me that they had tried to call me earlier in the week to confirm delivery and they were not able to get a hold of me. They called during daytime hours - I was at work and do not work in a place where I can have my phone on me. As a result it was never shipped out. I expressed my frustration in that I needed it auto renewed and dispensed - forever, and they said they always need confirmation due to policies because my medication is so expensive. They sent it out the next day thankfully so I didn’t miss an injection again.

This time to avoid error, I called on Monday the pharmacy to pre confirm and order my medication for this Friday. It was stated I would get my medication on Friday by noon. I arrived to my residence this morning - I was not here yesterday night. There was a FedEx slip stating that a delivery was attempted yesterday (Thursday) morning and evening. The slip said that I was supposed to be delivered yesterday (Thursday) by noon, and they will try again today (Friday) by 5 pm. I do not blame FedEx - when I looked up my package on their website it clearly says it was supposed to be delivered yesterday. I called Express Scripts pharmacy - they apologized for the error - it was sent out Wednesday for Thursday delivery instead of shipped out Thursday for Friday delivery.

Their response was to “make a note” that this is incorrect and to be delivered Fridays instead. So instead of all the other errand and appointments I had scheduled for this afternoon, I had to cancel them to ensure I’ll be home until 5 pm to get my medication today so I can get my injection on time tomorrow. Nothing but frustrated with this company.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Well here we go again, last month had a struggle with my husband's medications, had to go to RX to get some to hold and had to pay a higher price for it myself even though not our fault or our doctor's while the mess got fixed. So exhausted. I had to stand in line 1 hour hardly able to keep my eyes open. Well tonight I am resting from a long day at work and I get an automated message call that my Rx for myself for b I need to call them, not telling me what the issue is. Then after calling and waiting on line for a long period of time and then getting transferred again waiting another 20 minutes to talk to the pharmacist... My heart was literally racing. I was so stressed, here we go again for the millionth time... I felt like a boxer in a boxing ring. Every time an Rx gets filled there is an issue, I have to fight in the ring to get the issue fixed, even though I am not the one that caused it and they will be the death of me yet, I swear.

I had a heart attack years ago at a young age and not due to weight or smoking which I do not do and the last thing I need is the stress from a company that constantly messes up, it grows very old < I am exhausted, feel defeated. No need, should not be this difficult, now I have to find time somehow to call my doctor's office back up tomorrow morning on my way to work. *Oh after my doctor's office they had called me this morning that I was all set.*

Also I had told Express Scripts I had a new doctor awhile back and they kept sending it to my old doctor which of course did not get authorized but they ignored the ones my new doctor's office sent in, and then wait and wait to call Express Scripts to follow up. Anyways I could go into great detail but I am too tired. Hate is a not a strong enough word for me how I feel towards Express Scripts, the incompetence is unacceptable, if my company operated like this our doors would have shuttered long time ago. They need to get their act together right now, this is not fair to the consumers who have to go through hell just to simply get an Rx filled. For as long as we have had to deal with them after my husband's company went with them has been a constant nightmare.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I had filled a Rx for a couple months. Went to pick up my refill and found out they are no longer going to cover it at all. But they said I could try using a different pharmacy. I transferred pharmacies and they still wouldn’t cover any of the cost! I had to jump through hoops for them and they still wouldn’t cover it. Worst insurance I’ve ever had.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Had the absolute worst experience trying to get a RX filled! I mailed the RX on May 10th one day after my Dr apt to the PO box Express Scripts provided. It did not get entered into the system until May 29th! It’s a controlled substance so has a 20 day limit on when the scripts can be written to filled. By the time they freaking entered into the system it expired!!! Told me to have my Dr send a new script. I CANNOT. Thanks Express Scripts for screwing me over. I knew back on May 10th when I mailed it I was leaving my job on the 25th. Never in a million years would have thought it would take this long for a mailed in RX to be out in the system.

Tried to have this all taken care of before my insurance ended. Now it’s not and they did not fill my RX that only comes in brand name so is ridiculous expensive. Horrible company. I fully believe they need to make up the different in payment. I’ll pay my copay and they should cover the rest. Their fault I didn’t get my RX before my insurance ran out. Worst mail Oder experience. My old company uses Walgreens mail order and NEVER had this kind of problem/long turn around on script. Worst pharmacy ever. Whatever you do do not use them. I see I’m not the only one who feels so negatively about the company.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Express Scripts still stinks!!! Had them a few years ago and had too many problems. Decided to pay higher prices and not use the service. Seems simple to order on-line and they come to your door, but hardly ever works that way. Now my company has made it almost impossible not to use them with the high deductibles. Ordered my scripts and apparently the prices were above my authorized limit. They sent an email (which I rarely check - no phone call). Found and opened the email and you need to log into your account to determine the problem. Found my password, logged back in, and found out I need to call them!!! Go to "Help" to find the number!! Furious!! Why not a phone call so I don't have to chase this down!!

Original review: May 30, 2018

Been on the phone for a total of 3 1/2 hours with this company. Dr called in a PA. Said that they didnt have any. Asked to speak to supervisor. Supervisor belittled me telling me they didnt have one. I work in the pharmacy field. Their lack of knowledge is truly disturbing. Called back a week later. Prior Auth has been there for a month and was magically found in the computer? Still awaiting my medication. Perhaps more to come on this review. Never updated on my end of medication being taken once a day.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I had major surgery and Express Scripts decided that my surgeon didn't know what he was doing and denied my blood clot medicine. When did Roger ** or Tim become Doctors? Who made Express Scripts God? If I die from a blood clot my Attorney has the power to sue Express Scripts on my behalf of my estate. Express Scripts is a fraudulent company. Complain to your Attorney General!

Original review: May 26, 2018

Had never seen anything like in all of the many times I have been buying on any website whether it's medicines or other things. This company has the worst customer service I have ever seen and I have dealt with bad online companies before. I placed and with this company on May 1 and didn't hear from them until Wednesday the 23 of May-2018 when they told me the medication was on its way and that I was going to received it in 3 to 5 days. Today I called their customer services to find out about whether they have sent it or not and now they just told me it will not be ship until next Tuesday and that is going to take from 7 to 10 days for me to received it. I am giving them 1 star because there isn't any way to give them last.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 22, 2018

We went on a vacation in March 2018, 800 miles from home. My wife forgot one of her prescriptions which is a pain med as well as a psychotic medication. The doctor said she could not stop taking this medication for 7 days, so she called in a prescription to a Walgreens in the area. When we picked up the prescription, after presenting the card, we were told Express Scripts would not cover it because it was too soon to order. We paid out of pocket so she would have it during our stay. Upon returning home, we filed a request for reimbursement. We have been denied four (4) times with the explanation that we should have had the pharmacy call for an emergency order. Who knows this stuff?? Service from this company has gone downhill every year, but we cannot use anyone else due to my company's health plan. They SUCK!!!

Original review: May 20, 2018

I am trying to use Express Scripts once again but they make it so impossible to deal with! I know as does my doctor when I have no refills so my doctor calls them in not once but over 2-times. They make it so hard on you to get your meds as they say they didn't get the new RX but online I can see they got it so whomever I get in C.S. has no idea what they are talking about! I have to make so many calls when it is time to get my meds that w/ this co. they will come late, I quit them once and it looks like I am gonna be forced once again to go to my pharmacy and just say no to Express Scripts and there is nothing about them that even resembles a good place to get your prescriptions. I'll call Tri-care and let them know how bad this service is!

Original review: May 19, 2018

Ok so I decided to spend less money and get a 3 months supply. Bad mistake!! I paid 12 bucks to have it shipped in 2 days. It took 2 weeks. I had to keep calling them every day. They said they needed my Dr to approve. They said they didn't get it and they did. My Dr called them every day for a week. The second prescription was the same process. They said they are waiting for Dr. So it finally got processed and the idiots shipped it to the wrong address so once again I have to go probably 2 weeks without it. I can get it at the local pharmacy but have to pay full price. Why would I do that. That's why I'm trying to get it online to save money!!! Unbelievable. This company should not be doing business. I told them if I get sick I will sue them then the idiots said they had to disconnect the call. Wtf it's wrong with this company.

Original review: May 18, 2018

2 month rule applied which I was unaware so I paid full price and then they would not apply this $800.00 toward my deductible! Penalized twice and they haven't resolved this issue. I would suggest we all file complaints with the Insurance Commissioner in your state - info is online.

Original review: May 17, 2018

My doctor ordered some rxs for me. The did not work, so I placed them on hold as I had done before with other rxs. Express Scripts sent them anyways. I returned them to sender. When I called to talk to a customer service rep because they locked me out of my account repeatedly with no explanation, the first customer service rep she wasted over an hour of my time trying to resolve the issue to no avail and was completely incompetent (Alzheimer's level incompetent). The second customer service rep said for me to call again in two weeks to see if the rx had been returned after sucking an hour of my life away. I then sent a not so nice email. They called me, and admitted to me that the accounts created the year mine was had a flaw and would lock me out, but will not be crediting my account for the RX because I didn't tell them I was sending it back.

Another hour and a half of my time. They acknowledged that they received rx back, but will not give credit for them - so they get to keep the RX and my money. They are completely avoiding accepting any responsibility for locking my account and making it virtually impossible to manage my account. Their phone service is not 24hrs and very inefficient. There is no statement or instructions for when an order comes and is not supposed to that you are supposed to call them to get permission to send it back. Sadly, I used to love them now, with the new changes, they are another reason why government regulated healthcare is a VERY bad idea. (We on TriCare/military insurance.)

Original review: May 17, 2018

Express Scripts is completely unreliable and doesn’t make any effort to take care of its customers. I need a specialty drug and am required to use the pharmacy that my employer uses, so when I needed to change over to them, they came back with the information about needing a specialty pharmacy. That’s completely fine, but the fact that it’s a maintenance medication that I need to take or risk going back to an ER and needing surgery, and that I’m requesting a refill, there should at least be some sense of importance on keeping me updated on the refill process.

But Express Scripts took roughly a week of no information and then sent emails saying it was being worked on and said it would ship on the 14th. It took them until the 16th to say they couldn’t do anything. About a maintenance medication. They don’t care at all about the people they serve and if there’s ever a choice, even if prices are higher elsewhere, I would never use Express Scripts again.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I take four long term medications. Express Script recently sent me an email, telling me I HAVE to get a 90 day supply. That is all well and good BUT they are also forcing me to use either mail order or a certain pharmacy. One to be exact. I am happy with the pharmacy I am using and don't understand how this is legal. If I do not do as I am told, I am threatened with having to pay full price for my prescriptions. Is this right?

Original review: May 11, 2018

Just returned from emergency ER visit (2 hour round trip -- live in remote rural area) because Express Scripts would not allow me to get a local pharmacy override for just 1 bottle of insulin. Unfortunately I dropped my last vial of insulin while filling my pump and thought I had enough to cover me while I waited for overnight delivery... And waited... And waited. Checked online and the order had still not been processed after several days. WTF? Calls to Express Scripts are a complete waste of time -- called once and was told to have a local pharmacy get override. Local pharmacy was authorized $800 price for 3 bottles, or $260 for one 10ml bottle. Called Express Scripts again and was told to repeat the process and surely the override would work. Nope.

Next call to Express Scripts was told I had exceeded max 2 overrides and had to pay full price -- well, guess that's what happens when you need to get a local pharmacy override for EVERY refill that never arrives. I was even lectured by an Express Scripts pharmacist that I should not stop taking my medication when I tried to escalate my call to get help!? Luckily I was able to connect with another diabetic 45 miles away to borrow an insulin bottle. I feel like I'm being extorted by Express Scripts and would advise everyone to avoid them if you are not forced to use their rip-off services by your employer benefits package like I am. Express Scripts - "Support that's more than medicine. We make managing your death by diabetes easier!"

Original review: May 10, 2018

Feels like a giant shell game of find the pea. Doctors hate dealing with them and lately they have been changing typical prescription cycles from 30 days to 16 or 8, effectively doubling and quadrupling pricing. If you doctor writes you a 30 day supply they don't see it that way. Nuts. Seems like the only customer they care about out there corporate customer board of directors. Certainly not the employees who use the service.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I would never even give this company 1 star, they should have negative stars... How can this company stay in business. I have been trying to switch over my pharmacy prescription to mail order for over a month. I got a note in the mail saying I had to contact them and come to find out even though I had 9 months of prescriptions, they only allowed two. Then you had to contact this incompetent, horrible company. I spoke with a various number of reps that said different things as to why my prescription could not be filled. I contacted my Doctor's office, who told me different reasons.

Express Scripts is horrible, they changed my prescription to a generic, which my doctor's office knows I do not want. How can they just change your prescription. I was given a variety of reasons why the prescription could not be filled... Then out of the blue I was told from a supervisor... A supervisor, that my prescription could not be filled because the doctor did not send in how to use it. Really, this just comes up after I spoke with 4 different people. Apparently their pharmacists, did not go to college and do not know how to use the prescriptions they fill. Very scary. Was told so many different things, and still a month later can't for the life of me figure out why mail order is so hard. Still have NOT received the mail order approval. Express Scripts has got to be one of the most incompetent companies I have ever had to deal with and this is for medical care.

Updated on 05/22/2018: This is a follow up from my original review of this horrible, no good, HORRIBLE company called Express Scripts. Finally, got my prescription in the mail, after almost a full 2 months and it is the incorrect prescription. When I ordered it and my doctors office called they had to correct one, then the pharmacist goes and sends the one I had canceled a various number of times, how can these people be so incompetent. I am sure I am going to have to pay for this, because they are truly incompetent idiots. How does this company stay in business, oh right by messing up prescriptions and making their customers pay for their incompetence. What a ** CEO they have, to run this business so badly.

Original review: May 9, 2018

How does this company stay in business? I finally came to the end of my patience and decided after 3 years of problems with the company to write a bad review. I was surprised to find that others have experienced similar problems and that even the employees do not give the company a good rating. The only reason I stay with the company is that they cover another 20% of what my plan does not cover. This makes a big difference since I am already paying for my plan. However, the problems I have experienced makes me earn the 20% by numerous phone calls regarding problems with filling meds, delivery delays, wrong billing, etc. Why isn't the government doing something about this company?

Original review: May 9, 2018

Over 40 times in 2 years have I either NOT gotten my prescription, gotten the WRONG prescription or have been overcharged. Although my doctor always puts in 3 months supplies being this is a lifelong drug and that I get discounted by not doing month to month they CONSTANTLY send me 1 month at full price. I call and speak to uninterested people who put me on hold for hours until half the time I give up and just pay full price or get the runaround for hours (today was 3). And then the same problem the next month. I really hope the ConsumerAffairs looks into these complaints as opposed to this just being a Yelp complaint.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Anyone say class action lawsuit!!?? This is the worst company on the face of the Earth! I have been taking the same medication for migraines for a long time. I get them 3-4 times a week, sometimes more. I have tried every other medication. If I don't take the med then I suffer for days on end! They want to limit me to 8 pills a month. I had prior authorization in December when the Dr. called it in with refills. Now trying to get the refills, I get nothing but a runaround. For a month I have been trying to get this refilled. They finally told me that I need prior authorization...even for a refill. I had Customer service called my Dr. first thing in the morning on Tuesday, I called the Dr's office at the 3:00 in the afternoon to make sure it was taken care of and they said yes.

2 days later I called Express Scripts back to follow up and told me that they needed a prior authorization. I told them they called and dealt with it already. I argued with them on the phone for 2 straight hours going from CS to CS. Finally, I escalated it to the Presidential suite...(Presidential Escalation). They said they would call me back. I called them back today. The lady on the other end said she would have it express mailed to me and that she would call me with the tracking number. We'll see. My next step is to send a REGISTERED LETTER to the CEO Tim Wentworth, with cc's to Allison **, my union and the news outlets. I'm DONE! A month trying to deal with this crap! Just to get the medication that I always take. If I have another brain aneurysm it will be because of Express Scripts and the stress that they put me through!

Original review: April 30, 2018

We were charged $20 for a medication that was previously free. When I inquired I was informed that this was a penalty for picking up my medication, and that I needed to opt-out. I was able to get the pharmacy to refund the month after about 30 minutes on the phone with Blue Cross and Express Scripts. I can only imagine the tens of thousands of people getting charged for doing the obvious, and picking up their scripts at their local pharmacy. This is a shady practice, and there is no reason for it. I hope someone considers legal action.

Original review: April 28, 2018

My wife's employer changed to this company at the beginning of the year which was a great mistake. Most of her co-workers have since constantly complained about Express Scripts and their service. Unfortunately, I have experienced first the lack of customer service from a company that seems more concern about its on well-being than its customers. When I went to my usual pharmacy to pick up my prescriptions, I found out that they would not approve any of them. I called the company and was told to my surprise with no prior notice that there is only one pharmacy chain in the city that they would approve my prescription for local refill. I had to have my doctor call the prescriptions to that store and then the fun began.

They were repeatedly told that prescription had already been fill, which was at the pharmacy where they would not authorize. Over a 3 day period, I call 6 times and received 6 different answers about why they were not being authorized. Two pharmacist at their required pharmacy call 5 times and each time they received 5 different answers and was visibly frustrated dealing with them. Three of the times I stood there with the pharmacist while they talked. That's 11 calls and 11 different answers. On one call, the person that I spoke with change his answer 3 times before he finally said that they would need my doctor to authorize one of the prescriptions. This was at 6:00 pm on a Saturday. He, also, informed me that when the doctor called to authorize the prescription there was no guarantee that it would be approved and then it could take 2 - 3 days after he responded.

When I questions the poor customer service and the integrity of his company, he hung up on me. Understand these are prescriptions that I have been taking for about 10 years with no question by our previous insurer. Also, Express Scripts has been approving them since the beginning of the year. In 3 frustrating days of dealing with them we are looking for a new company. This is one of the worst companies that I have ever done business with. Fortunately, we can change our insurance to my job.

Unfortunately, it's not until August and this bad news of a company is attached to the insurance that we have through my wife's job. I would never recommend doing business with this company. I looking at the many negative reviews for this company, I wonder what decision maker at my wife's job choose to do business with this company. They couldn't have done their homework. A 1 1/2 average customer review rating should tell you something. I normally do not write reviews like this but I would like to warn anyone that would consider doing business with this company to beware.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I've called them and went online both, try to find a way not to send scripts until I request them. They send them whether I need them or not. They constantly send reminders to have me call my Dr. office for refills. These people are the biggest drug pushers there are. Once a script is received, they drive them down your throat! Next time I see my rheumatologist, I'm going back to having them filled at pharmacy. Even if I have to go every month. I have meds in cupboard that I no longer take but they send them so they can bill me for them! What a scam. -5 stars.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I visited my doctor April 20th. She told me to stop taking **. I called Express Scripts when I got home from the doctor's office and told them to NOT refill my **. I received an email today, April 27, that my prescription had been filled. I called them again and stated I had told them to NOT refill that prescription but they filled it anyway and charged my account. I want my money back for this prescription and I will refuse to accept it when the mail is delivered!

Express Scripts Company Information