3.29/5
Based on 1,137 ratings submitted in the last year

Express Scripts Reviews

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

If I could give this company negative stars I would. Every problem that has come up in my 10 months with them has involved multiple cases of representatives contradicting each other from call to call. It reminds me of the insurance company in that movie where their first response is to deny every time in the hopes that people just pay or do whatever to get their meds and Express Scripts won't have to pay. The amount of times I've been told this year about medication changes or even them challenging what our doctor has prescribed are too numerous to count. Who the hell do your pharmacy phone techs think they are questioning the medications my doctor has prescribed and that my pharmacist has no problem filling?

But beyond the audacity to question my prescriptions without validity, the fact that every rep has a different story but one that inevitably ends with "your pharmacy did it wrong" when my pharmacy has managed to keep from killing me for 21 years through multiple insurance plans and doctors is just amazing. Stop trying to be a pharmacy, whether a prescription is approvable should be a simple, yes the plan covers or no the plan doesn't cover and not coming up with new reasons to change things every month.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

The online ordering system is not user friendly as a Cigna held entity. Express-Scripts is the drug benefit provider third party vendor for approvals of drugs provided by physicians. The people on the phone are not pharmacy technicians. When you get a prescription filled it is sent to pharmacy and Express-Scripts approves the order and knows the number of refills. Yet they have you call them directly and have them then call the doctor to place another order after 3 refills. Yet they have the drug already in their system and the number of refills based upon the initial order placed by the doctor. Then their order system does not show which drug is being filled in the pending order status when you look at the view order.

It also doesn't list the cost of the drug even though they have a formulary that they have based upon the drug plan the patient has. Finally, I think I had to speak to a dozen people to straighten out exactly what I needed ordered and for what and still don't exactly get any idea of how their ordering system works. At no time do they make it easy on the patients or the physicians.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

This company told me it’s less to use them as they would save me $5, to pay a total of $25 for three quantity vs going to Walgreens which would have been $30 for a quantity of three. Well I called my doctor and had her call in the prescription to “save” me a small amount of money. I guess because they didn’t get the prescription for all three at once but instead for a quantity of one with three refills, they charged me $25 for 1 quantity. They told me it’s not their responsibility to let me know how my doctor had to call in the prescription. What a rip off!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I can only find my meds in a pharmacy in another state in a mom and pop shop and I used to send my husband on a two hour trek each month to get them. He finally said it was too much for him and I gave up and decided to have my scripts sent to Express Scripts. I saw that they received the orders on 10/7 and I realized that they were going to be shipped standard, which would take way too long, so I called to have it switched to overnight and was told that I could not do that because the scripts were in the back pharmacy already (same day???).

Anyway, I called today for an update and they stated that the meds were not going to ship until Monday and at a standard rate, could take a week to get to me. That makes my meds now two weeks past their due date and that's if I get them. This was such a big mistake! I also run into the same problem others on here do; getting refills shipped so early I end up with tons of certain meds while not having others. I just don't get it.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Updated on 10/04/2019: Just an update from my previous review yesterday. I have received a couple of message from “Express Scripts” wanting my ID#, date of birthday and name so that “they can help and make certain my issues never happen again.” My response to that was after several years of calling for help and never getting anywhere, (each call providing the same information they are asking me for now) I never got help I needed or a “resolution” therefore I am not providing it now. My thought is too little, too late. I still stand behind my initial review. Trying to “resolve my issue” or help me after the fact is not helpful. Be prepared for them to respond by asking you for personal information.

Original review: The last 4 years I have had to use Express Scripts because our insurance requires it. The past year, every time I have sent in my prescription I have had new issues and problems. I absolutely dread refill time now. The last (3) refill times I have had to pay for overnight shipping to get the meds before they ran out only to need to go around the world and call and call Express Scripts to deal with issues. After paying for overnight shipping my newest problem is that my meds must be signed for.....after 4 years, this is totally new to me and of course I didn’t know beforehand and now they are headed back to Express Scripts because no one is home to sign for meds we have never had to sign for before. I am begging my insurance company to allow me to pick them up local next time I am due a refill. It will be worth every penny extra. Very very disappointing!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I ordered three medications through Express Scripts on 9/24, for a total of $90. It was my first time ordering through them. The package containing my meds was supposedly shipped on 9/25, and delivered on 9/30, but it is now 10/3 and I have searched my mailbox (where they apparently left it) and outside my door and found nothing. I called them, and they said they can only offer me a one-time courtesy replacement, and that it would take another week to arrive because I'd have to pay for expedited shipping out of pocket. Mind you, I've been without medication for nearly a week now because of the lost package. They also said that if they lose my order again, I'd have to pay to get a replacement. Medication is expensive! Why should I pay extra for their mishandling???

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I recently received a prescription refill for **, 5MG from Express Scripts. The medicine that they sent me was manufactured by Aurobindo Pharma Limited, which on June 20, 2019, received a FDA warning letter concerning significant violations of FDA regulations with regard to their manufacturing practices for drugs. This manufacturer is located in India. Express Scripts said they would refill this prescription from a different manufacturer only if my doctor writes another prescription specifying a manufacturer (that does not have any outstanding warnings from the FDA). Biocon or Recipharm are examples of manufactures of this drug that do not have warnings or recalls from the FDA.

Express Scripts advised me that they do not sell drugs that are on the FDA recall list. I think Express Scripts should also not sell drugs to customers that come from manufacturers that have outstanding warnings from the FDA. The onus should be on Express Scripts to screen drug manufactures for FDA warnings and not their customers.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

Express Scripts forces mail order. In some cases mail order is more expensive than going to the pharmacy. Express Scripts falsely claims mail order is less expensive than going to the pharmacy. Customers should be able to choose which pharmacy fills their script and still receive the full benefits they are paying for and entitled to.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

My doctor prescribed a medication on 9/12/19. That was 20 days ago. After four phone calls and two emails erroneously stating that this medication had shipped, I still have nothing. Today when I called to find out where it was I was told by a rep “I have no idea what’s going on with this medication”. This person was absolutely no help and snotty to boot. I explained that being without a medication for 20 days was similar to playing Russian roulette but still nothing was resolved. I’ve already paid for this medication too, and it’s not cheap. Trying to use the feedback link on their site is of no use because it always says it’s temporarily unavailable. I have found their medications to be the same price as a local pharmacy but unfortunately my insurance mandates that I use this pharmacy. I would not recommend Express Scripts to anyone in need of anything more than a headache and the urge to drink.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I had to pay over 100 dollars out of pocket to get just a few doses of a medication because Express Scripts wouldn’t approve it without calling my doctor first. I tried to refill my prescription on a Friday and was going out of town on Monday, and there was no way to get in touch with my doctor before then. So it was either go without medication for a life threatening condition or pay out of pocket. This doctor authorization was never required under my old insurance so I didn’t anticipate it being a problem. Express scripts promised I would get reimbursed and I just receive a letter saying they’re denying my reimbursement. This company is the absolute worst. Liars and thieves.

Express Scripts Company Information