1.56/5

Last updated: April 20, 2018

2610 Express Scripts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 20, 2018

I hate having to use this company. I went from paying zero filling fee at Costco (company pays first 7 dollars) to having to pay for a filling fee from these idiots. I have never had such a rude experience with a pharmacy. They decide to act like my doctor when I renew and last time I blew a gasket. Oh and the auto refill that I declined I get calls telling me I am on auto refill. You can imagine how well that went down. I can't wait until we don't have to use this "pharmacy". Why should any company mandate where I buy my drugs from? I pay the premiums not them. It should be illegal.

Original review: April 19, 2018

When trying to get a malaria prescription filled (going to Africa for 3 months), I was on the phone for 2 hours, transferred to at least six people while having to explain my situation from the beginning each time, with six different (sometime contradictory) answers. Have yet to get my script fully filled. The very convoluted back-and-forth was similar the last time my doctor prescribed malaria prophylaxis. Lesson finally learned -- next time I need malaria meds, I will get them without going through my insurance (which begs the question--why pay for a service I can't use?) To be fair, most mail-order scripts are filled effortlessly.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 19, 2018

We have had to use Express Scripts and Accredo for years now and I HATE IT. You get a different story every time you talk to someone. My husband spend a few HOURS on the phone one day. Was told an amount due, so he paid it. Got an email this week stating we over 2 grand more. Huh? No. That is not what we were told. So now fighting with them about this amount. Seems like no one there has a brain. Really wish my insurance company would work with someone else.

Original review: April 19, 2018 1. Cancels Current RXs without owner or physician knowledge.
2. Because they are the insurance and pharmacy they block patient from getting Rx’s from any other pharmacy by not honoring any insurance benefits including once deductible or out of pocket maximum is met.
3. Constantly pushing patient to fill RX’s that are on as need basis.

4. If there is an issue they offer little to no assistance leaving patient to have to go to employer for help which requires discussing confidential health and prescriptions. This violates privacy.

5. Does not deliver medication in manufacturer required temperature regulated storage.
6. Does not deliver prescriptions in a secure method. Loosely packed in a crushable thin bag, no secure instructions for delivery so prescriptions left in plain public view on ground at house for any passerby to take or see.
7. Constantly pushes patient to ask DR to change RX to an entirely different medication for condition that may not have any study related to condition.

8. Consistently changes quantity of RX without inquiring or notifying DR or patient.

9. Withdraws previous insurance approvals on RX’s that required pre-approval from Express Scripts Insurance approved while still within current range of refills, when patient reached 100 % insurance coverage.

10. Puts patient at risk and reduces quality of care when patient can not receive RX same day as needed if patient has met a 2 time only local RX fill.

Resolution response: April 19, 2018

I received a call from Express Scripts explaining that the denial of coverage for my prescription is automatic under Medicare Part D Rules. I asked why it had been covered for over 10 years and then suddenly denied? The representative told me that my insurance coverage had been switched in January. I’m still trying to figure that out. The representative contacted my Dr and helped me file an appeal. With Medicare. I received a message today telling me that My medication was once again covered. Much appreciated

Original review: April 17, 2018

My PCP has prescribed ** to help with my difficulties, falling asleep and staying asleep. I have been taking it for more than 10 years without incident. 6 weeks ago I received a letter from Express Scripts informing me that they were not filling my prescription. They said I need to try another sleep aid unless I got prior authorization. My PCP contacted Express Scripts to appeal this determination. I just received a letter telling me that despite my doctor's medical opinion and my preference, to continue taking a medication that has worked for more than 10 yrs, Express Scripts is refusing my request because I am over 65 years old. They informed me that I need to try 2 different medications first?? I have never taken a medication prescribed to me by anyone other than my own Dr. who appointed Express Scripts to replace my PCP who has been my Dr. for over 20 yrs?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

Original review: April 14, 2018

When my order did not arrive after 17 days of being placed, I called their "customer support" and was told that indeed my order was lost, and would be replaced, and shipped immediately. The rep. who was so hard to understand because he barely spoke English, apologized over and over for the inconvenience and assured me he would fix this (at least I think that's what he said). BUT, to do so, he would have to use one of my REFILLS, but there would be no charge for the EXPEDITED SHIPPING. Well since this is the medication I take to get my heart to beat correctly, I thought WOW really, your gonna do that for me? How sweet!!!

Well it took another 15 days to get my EXPEDITED replacement order, which I was charged $20 some odd dollars for NEXT DAY DELIVERY and then yes, of course they charged me for each drug in addition to using one of my refills and refused to fill any other orders until I paid for this one in full, even though it was being disputed. Now there is 5 different medications just floating around out there with my name and address on them and EXPRESS SCRIPTS does not care, nor do they care that I had to call my doctor and ask for a ten day supply prescriptions, 3 DIFFERENT TIMES. The really sad thing is I have never, not once, gotten an order filled correctly by this company. EVER! and THEY DON'T CARE!!!

Original review: April 13, 2018

Not unusual to go to the Pharmacy to find out your prescription isn't covered. Will make you and your Doctor go through a long process to get it covered. That is if they cover it in the first place. Don't waste your time. They look cheap for a reason.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Express Scripts is new for me this month. Had my appt with my MD and he sent my meds over. Express Scripts is supposed to be cheaper than any local pharmacies. However they are NOT! A 3 month supply of a generic medicine that I've taken for the past 6 years was $500.00. I am so upset and all the customer service rep could say was, "I'm so sorry." NO ONE called me to ok this charge, they just processed it and mailed my meds! Said I had email set as my preference to be contacted, however I wasn't contacted that way either! My local pharmacy is $47 dollars cheaper monthly for this same medicine. They just robbed me of $140. She just kept blaming my medical doctor and that I haven't met my deductible.

I said I understand I haven't met my deductible, but when I use my local pharmacy I haven't met my deductible either. She didn't have much to say after that. Said she would send my complaint over to accounts receivable to review but said they probably won't do anything. So I'm just out an extra $147.00 because someone didn't care to let me know how expensive this drug was and it's not even a new drug! New subscribers beware, they do NOT care about us, just after the money. I will never ever use them again.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I have only been with Express Scripts for 6 months, but have had constant headaches while attempting to have prescriptions transferred and filled. When speaking to a representative, I am constantly being told incorrect information regarding steps I need to resolve an issue, that information was overlooked on their end that caused prescriptions not to be processed, and being told that the information I am providing is incorrect, despite it being correct and confirmed by my online account and other documents. In addition, I am being charged 3x the amount for a medication that I previously received through Solara Medical Supplies. Out of all the people I have spoke with, only 2 have taken the time to actually listen and fix the issue, rather than assume, put me on hold and then hang up, interrupt me, and stick to a script rather which gets us nowhere.

Express Scripts needs a complete review of their systems and services, as well as representative trainings. It is unprofessional how many errors occur and lead to time wasted for both parties. I do not trust that my orders will be processed correctly after witnessing incompetent actions by their staff. After this order, I hope to switch to Solara Medical Supplies as their customer service is excellent and they are able to spend time completing each interaction with thoughtfulness and care. Express Scripts would benefit greatly by moving to a model that puts customer care as a priority.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Our family doctor sent in a request for my husband's **. In the past they sent the generic and it hasn't been as effective as the Brand name that he received the very first time. A pharmacist called our doctor’s office questioning why it had to be brand necessary so they called us to find out why and I explained that the generic doesn't work as effectively as the Brand name on his stomach issues. Today I received an email from good old Express Scripts saying they will not fill the order, we need to chose a different medication. Who do these people think they are, they are not doctors and if my PCP says Brand necessary then I should receive Brand necessary and not have them calling the doctor’s office harassing them. Medco was so amazing and I really do miss them. This Express Script Company needs to be put in their place. They don't have a MD or DO after their name like the one prescribing the medication does.

Original review: April 10, 2018

When CVS had the contract things were great. Now they can't keep my drugs in stock and they cancel the script and tell me to go to Walgreens to get it filled. Then they get the drug in stock and tell me I need a new script to get it filled. I ask for a complaint line or phone number to the contract administrator and they act like they have no idea what that would be.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Have waited over a month for a prescription to get started through an Express Scripts specialty pharmacy. Called two weeks ago and was told my insurance had authorized the medication and it would be on its way. Called again today since I haven't seen it yet and was told they just got the prescription order yesterday. When I mentioned I had been told something different two weeks ago, I was told it was in process and would take at least four more days to verify the authorization from my insurance. I have the call recorded from two weeks ago saying it was authorized and I have a letter received 5 days ago from my insurance company saying it should be in its way. These people are a joke! While they sit back and waste time I'm here with a body that's getting worse by the day without medications. By the time I get the meds it may be too late to help me.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Horrible customer service. I spent one hour on one day and another hour on another day to resolve a prescription claim denial. Took me that long to find out that they just needed the doctor’s address and phone number. They then refused to take this information over the phone - had to be in writing. This would not have bothered me except that 1) I spent two hours of my valuable time with them already, 2) I was repeatedly transferred to the wrong department when I called, 3) I had originally submitted the claim based on a claim form they sent me which made no reference to needing the dr’s address and phone number, 4) I had called the claim department when I was completing the form to make sure I was submitting everything they needed, 5) when I asked if I could give them the info over the phone or by email they refused to accept it in this manner. Horrible, horrible experience!!! So glad my company discontinued services with them.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Filled eye script locally; item popped up on Express Scripts site promoting money savings if filled through them. Pressed the order button with a response that a request will be sent to the doctor's office. Dr. appt following week; still "Awaiting Dr approval" status. Dr. said he signed and sent a response & showed me the signed paperwork from Express Scripts. 2 Days later still pending status. Called Express Scripts again, reluctantly provided details of what was missing. They said script did not have dosage or directions. Called Dr again, nurse says she caught mistake already and had sent off updated script and eye drop dosage of "1 drop twice a day". Checked Express Scripts again & still pending. Another email asking why. Email says Dr never sent anything and now require new prescription & provided mailing address. Back to the Dr. again.

Original review: April 10, 2018

My husband sent in a Script from his Doctor for a 90 medication. Express Scripts received the script and advised us that the script was received and being filled. When filled they only mailed 45 pills even though the script was for 90 days. My husband called and they advised they would send out the remaining 45 pills. When he went to refill the remaining he was then told that the Dr. had to call in a Coverage Review and that they couldn't fill his script till June which means he would be without meds till June. We got this woman Gene who "took care of this issue" told us she would have the pills filled and sent out. And that we needed to get our dr. to call for the Coverage Review.

Come today, I have learned that they are not mailing out the 45 pills and are not able to help us until the Dr calls in for the Coverage Review. But Express Scripts never told us about this 60 days ago when they first received the prescription. Now we have to pay full cost at a local pharmacy so my husband can continue his meds. I wish my company never switched to Express Scripts. Oh and the call center I had to deal with was in the Philippines. Why can't they employ people in the USA.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 9, 2018

They only care about you as long as they make money off of you. They've called me before to say that I should allow them to mail my blood pressure medications to my house rather than me having to stop at the pharmacy. I told them it's not necessary because my pharmacy is right next to my house and there have been many times that my mail ends up at other people's houses. Today, I stopped at my pharmacy to pick up my refill only to find out that it has been denied by my insurance provider because it "has" to be mailed.

I'm required to have those medications every day and suddenly it was denied on a day that I have no more! I therefore had to pay out of pocket rather than end up in a hospital waiting for something to come in the mail with no guarantee that it will stay in my mailbox without being stolen. The reason they do this? Because it saves them a couple dollars. This is disgusting and an absolute rip off to someone that always pays them in full and has never been late nor complained. When possible, steer clear of them.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I am new to Express Scripts and take a medication daily that requires a new Prescription every 90 days. I sent my prescription to Express Scripts and within 24 hours it shipped out without me being able to stop it or cancel when I realized the copay was $200. I called 5 times to resolve the issue. The first time was told we canceled it, "You won't be receiving it." Then days later find out it cannot be canceled, it shipped and even if I refuse delivery I still am responsible to pay the copay for $200. I've never had to pay for this medication or a copay so I was surprised it was $200.

When I log in to my account online it doesn't have a ship date or tracking number. I spoke with a supervisor who did nothing to resolve the problem. They do not assist with copay insurance cards and wouldn't allow me to fill the prescription with a local pharmacy who does help with copay assistance. My gripe is that they ship out medication as fast as they can without informing you of the cost or copay amount (no alert, text, email, phone call). Once it ships they do nothing to cancel, change, refund or credit you. Now I have to wait 90 days to fill it somewhere else because they already billed my insurance. If I refuse to pay the copay I would be sent to collections.

They simply said that they shipped it in good faith. One employee told me, "Usually if your copay is more than $150 they contact you first." (Somehow not for me). I love how they conveniently do not have a firm policy regarding this and out of the 5 people I contacted every employee had a different answer and simply said, "Well I'm sorry to hear that but once it ships there is nothing we can do." I cannot believe I am stuck in this group plan through my employment and that they offer no service. Considering this is my first experience I am shocked, pissed off, and will avoid filling any prescriptions with them if I can. Beware!!!

Original review: April 6, 2018

My doctor called in my prescription to Express Scripts, for some reason. No one informed me; Express Scripts never contacted me. My doctor's office assured me everything was all set, repeatedly. They genuinely thought the prescription had been sent through. I contacted Express Scripts, two days later, only to discover that they apparently needed more information from my doctor. They never contacted him either, and if I hadn't called, spent 10 minutes on their automated customer service line trying to find a person to talk to, I'm not sure anything would have happened. At this point, I am out of a medication that I require for a chronic and debilitating medical condition. The customer service rep gets the pharmacist on the line, who tells me my doctor did send in the approval, but they still need more information, and once they receive my medical information, then they will decide IF they accept my doctor's prescription.

IF they do, then they will ship the medication FOUR days later, and I can then expect to receive it five to seven business days afterwards. I guess in the meantime I'm just supposed to get incredibly sick? Of course, I could just go pick up this medication from one of the hundreds of pharmacies in my area, but I can't. Because Express Scripts holds the prescription, no other pharmacist can fill it. At this point, it would literally be faster and less painful to rent a car and drive to their headquarters in St. Louis to pick up the medication in person. If that sounds ridiculous, then that should tell you something about their business model.

I truly do not understand why this company exists. They are making the pharmaceutical industry LESS efficient and MORE confusing to patients, for what reason I can't possibly imagine. It would have taken me 20 minutes to fill this prescription at my usual pharmacy. Now I'm in total limbo, waiting to see if my medicine will maybe arrive sometime in the next nine to eleven business days. It's okay though, it's just my health. If I could give zero stars to this company, then I would.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 5, 2018

I sent Express Scripts a prescription for **. I went on their website "Price a Medication" & it stated that the cost was $11.75 for a 3 month supply of Brand Name. It was a nightmare when the email came & it said the actual price was $943.10 for the generic. I have called 9 customer service reps/supervisors to resolve this. Brenda told me on 3/31 that they would send me a mailer to send back the medication & once they received it, they would credit my HSA the $943.10. Imagine my horror when I received a message on my answering machine yesterday saying the mailer was denied & if the customer called to give her instructions on the proper disposal of the $943.10 medication. OMG! They are trying to blame it on me that I have a $1000 limit before they have to contact me.

I told them I asked for the Brand Name & that was $1049.04 so they bypassed the "$1000" limit by sending me the Generic for $943.10. I am still waiting for a call back from Brenda. This is truly the worst customer service in the world. From reading other complaints on this website, it seems that Express Scripts routinely steals $ from people this way. There is a huge difference between $11.75 & $943.10!!

Customer increased Rating by 2 stars! Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 2, 2018

I first started with Express Scripts last year! I was unable to log into the main website after creating an account. I was able to log into the mobile site. I have switched insurance carriers recently and unfortunately, they are using this company as well. I tried to relog into my account and surprise surprise I get the same 999 error I have been getting for the past year. When I use the mobile app it will not let me switch to the new plan I am on it tells me to log onto the web page. I spent over an hour on the phone last year and was told that it was a MAC problem, then it was a Firefox problem. I have used both Mac an PC, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari and every time I get 9999 error. Will someone please resolve this so I can get my needed prescriptions!

Original review: March 26, 2018

Get on with my old acct. They said I wasn't in the system even after I gave my SS#. I do not have an ID # or even a card from Express Scripts. I got started on this program after my husband retired from USAF. I have been getting my blood pressure meds from this company for MANY years. I really wanted to talk to a REAL person. I am a little frustrated with so much automation.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I am using them because my insurance requires me. Customer service is a runaround and you have to go through so many prompts to talk to someone you end up forgetting why you called. They say they reach out to your Dr's office but the Dr's have no reference. They do everything taking their sweet time and have no regard for the patient or their need for medicine. If you're not required to use them DON'T.

Original review: March 25, 2018

In May 2017 I set up EFT Premium Payments from my checking account. Express Scripts withdrew my premiums each month. In January they sent me a letter stating that I was being disenrolled due to failure to pay premiums. My bank records indicate they took monthly premium payments from May 2017 thru February 2018. At first I called Customer Service to correct the situation. After multiple daily calls for 2 weeks it was determined on each call that I did pay premiums on time every month but for some reason that they couldn't understand why there was a discrepancy. Also each agent said they would expedite my case but later I found out they didn't expedite anything.

I filed a official grievance and they said a decision would be made within 30 days. After 6 weeks there was no response from anyone. I called and they said there was no decision yet. I was told that there was a favorable decision concerning my grievance and that I needed to request a Good Cause Reinstatement Request. I did so immediately. 10 days later I called and asked about the status of the GCRR and the agent they had absolutely no idea whatsoever as to when it would be decided. I was called by their billing department so they could collect the March 2018 premium because they had disenrolled me. I asked the agent to setup EFT premium payments and she obliged me. I asked her to send me a statement describing the Auto Pay of my premiums via EFT. She said she would send it to my email immediately.

After a week there is still no response concerning the AutoPay premium EFT. Today 3/25/18 I received a letter from Express Scripts stating that I may be disenrolled due to failure to pay my premiums and that they had not received any payments from me since January 2018. This has turned full circle and no results towards fixing my account. I am still paying retail price for scripts since January 2018. Each phone call lasts about an hour with no progress.

Express Scripts response
Hello Stephen,

We apologize for the past situation and we can always look further into this issue. Please email ExpressRxHelp@express-scripts.com with your member ID, phone number, DOB, Name and Review # Thank you –Shanta

Resolution response: March 27, 2018

A service rep called me to resolve the issue to my satisfaction. I shall have my medication before my trip.

Original review: March 25, 2018

My doctor called E-scripts for a prescription rather than a local pharmacy. I will be for a long trip and will not receive the script in time. Besides E-scripts cost more. E-scripts is very efficient to charge to my credit card immediately. I noticed the mistake and called within 2 hours to cancel my script. The first gentleman was nice to take my request. After 6 hours, no action was taken, I called again, the second gentleman was nice too and file my request again. I woke up the next morning and found out not only it was not done but change the status to ready to ship. I called again and the third rep was very rude and pretty much to shut me up and said not much he could do. If E-script would not cancel it, I will not be able to get the drug in time. Ask him to transfer my line to a pharmacist, he said no. Apparently he was paying to intimidate customers. I will have no medication for 10 days. What kind of company is it? $ is on the top, customers are at last.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I never get my prescriptions on time!! They always have an excuse! I get a different answer from every person that I talk to. No matter when my Doctor sends them my prescriptions I never get them on time. I always go for at least a week without my medications. They always say I owe money! I pay it then I will have a credit! This is the worse company I have ever dealt with! If you don’t have to use them don’t! They always say, "Your prescriptions are on their way", I call the next day, "Oh they haven’t been sent out yet". They are very unorganized! They don’t know what they are doing! Customer service is horrible. I would like to know who is getting a cut back from us having to use them!!! I would rather pay full price for my prescriptions then have to deal with this company!! I have nothing nice to say about them. They SUCK!!!

Original review: March 21, 2018

I take care of my 86-year-old mom. I have been her authorized caregiver for 10 years. STUPID Express Scripts has forgotten that or misplaced the information. I set up her account and it is now locked and they will not unlock it as they want her to verify online that I am who I am. Excuse me but she could not even use a computer if she tried... And there is no internet at her assisted living home. So now I have to keep calling every time and wait on the stupid phone which will not give me a human easily. I want to charge them for MY TIME!!!! HATE THEM they suck so bad!!!

Original review: March 18, 2018

I am a beneficiary of Tricare Insurance through the Department of Defense and since this merger with Express Scripts my mail order prescriptions have gone up. I am now being charged for my prescriptions as before I never was! Again this is just a way for BIG PHARMA TO GOUGE THE PUBLIC WITH REGARD TO DRUGS DEVELOPED WITH GOVERNMENT GRANTS!

Original review: March 16, 2018

The worst customer service I've ever dealt with in my life!!! It takes 4-5 calls to finally get meds sent and then they say they are expediting the order but they do not! So end up having to call dr And get prescription filled by Walgreens and have to pay for It!!! When meds should be free! What if the meds are life or death for someone??? Not cool! They are terrible!!!

Original review: March 14, 2018

Where do I start? The one migraine medication that keeps me out of the ER costs $1000.00 for 30 pills. Generic is different, so every six months I sell my soul to Express Scripts to get a prior authorization. One authorization for the medication and another authorization for the quantity override. EVERY STINKING SIX MONTHS I go through the same thing. My health hasn't changed a bit and I'm on the same meds. The doctor's office fills it out and it's denied. Let the lies begin! EE denies they ever talked to my doctor's. If even one question is answered incorrectly, it's denied and we start all over again. And don't get me started on their antiquated phone system.

Last weekend I was on the phone for 2 hours because I was put on hold, then kicked back to the beginning of the loop, and then had to answer all the stupid questions again. And the reps don't have notes that are needed. I have a nursing background, so I hate stupidity with a passion! The latest runaround was because THEY GOT THE PRESCRIPTION, but they needed to talk to the doctor's office about it! Wait, YOU asked for the script, then turn around and make them call you to go over it again? I was so pissed at EE over the phone on Saturday that they said, "Sure, no problem we'll send you a 3 month supply NOW." Nobody told me my meds were on hold!

Now I'm pissed. Of course, when I talked to a rep today she said she couldn't tell me what questions had to be answered. The phone reception was awful and garbled too. I was supposed to answer a survey and voila, was hung up on. A few reps know their stuff and get things done, but most just tell me they can't do anything for me. What a waste of money, but I need this medication to stay out of the ER.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I had to use this thieving company in the past, then my company changed providers, the new company was much better, now I am forced to use this extremely rude and overpriced company again. Express Scripts is the most overpriced prescription service there is, not only is the benefit the most expensive, they are gouging the patients for prescription service. I have been paying $60.00 for a three month supply, now that I have been forced to use this company again, I have to pay $300.00 for the same prescription, and the customer service representative is extremely rude, and can not provide a date when they will ship out the medicine even though they have charged me for the medicine, and they can not provide an order number for you to be able to track my order. Every time you call in they can not find your account or order. THIS IS THE MOST OVERPRICED PRESCRIPTION SERVICE THAT THERE IS!

Express Scripts Company Information