Express Scripts

Compare Online Pharmacies

Research top Online Pharmacies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This place is haphazardly handling prescription medications. DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE OF CUTTING CORNERS AND USING A MAIL ORDER PHARMACY. They send out wrong medication to wrong addresses and charge the consumer the highest price on the market. First, we had medication sent to an address that was over 5 years since living there. Secondly, when requested to mail them the paper prescription, they claim they never received it. Next, they mail a prescription capsule ($140/90 day supply) that was supposed to be capsules ($14/90 supply) and refuse to return the $140 and take back the medication that was incorrectly filled. We spoke with the doctors office as well as the pharmacist at Express Scripts (** pharmacist license per the pharmacist at Express Scripts) and they indicated the doctors office just arbitrarily called in the prescription on 3/17/17 from a visit on 1/23/17. This outfit is killing people and stealing money.

On November 12, 2016, I had two prescriptions to be filled at local pharmacy due to chest congestion. One was filled; the other was questioned and ultimately I had to pay full retail. I called Express Scripts the same evening and was told I would receive a form to request reimbursement. I completed this form providing all doctor, pharmacy and payment information. I received a response indicating the prescription was not covered because I was not enrolled at the time of the request. Obviously, this was not true, since the other prescription was covered. I sent two letters via USPS trackable mail and to date have received no response. I sent a third letter via trackable mail to the CEO and no response. This company is not interested in meeting their obligations and ignore their customers.

Doing business with this company is a nightmare. Their billing system is a setup for fraud. Weyerhaeuser uses them and we are all but forced to do so. We quit them after several years of receiving confusing duplicate and triplicate billing. The statements don't show as paid for a long period of time. Two separate times they lost my payment. My bank provided proof of the electronic payment (I use electronic billpay), but Express Scripts would not give out a fax number or email to send proof of payment to. Again, this happened TWICE. After months of frustrating phone conversations, they 'wrote it off as goodwill'... I paid the bills and my bank provided documentation that ES recvd the payment... They lost the payments, but it was written off. One was $20, the other $30 something.

We stopped using them. So now they continuously refuse coverage on prescriptions being filled by our local pharmacy. It takes multiple discouraging phone calls to get standard maintenance prescriptions filled for both myself and my husband. I need more blood pressure meds to fill my blood pressure meds! They continue to tell us we should use them. My husband decided to try again, but because of our 'past due balance', they want our credit card to keep on file. NO WAY!!!

These two issues have been going on since using the Express Scripts website: 1. I once again paid my bill via credit card for outstanding charges on the Express Scripts website. No confirmation of total payment, manner of payment, or what was purchased is made available via the website. They don't send it to your email nor do they offer the information on their website to be printed. This is a travesty and unethical. Every major website and lesser ones offer this routinely as do all businesses whether online or in-store. The result is I have no proof of purchase in case of a dispute with Express Scripts or my credit card company.

2. I keep getting logged out from the Express Scripts website, another long-standing issue. The site is poorly designed and not user friendly. I have called several times and had to redescribe what I experience every time I call to my exasperation and anger. Not one person has solved this for me. I am near the end of my patience... or at the end. All in all, Express Scripts is a good idea poorly executed. And the maddening thing is, my insurance company mandates that I get my meds through them. Express Scripts must have a friend in Washington.

The company I work for has used Express Scripts for several years and they are HORRIBLE. They are constantly trying to tell me my medications aren't covered under my plan and try to switch me to higher priced medicines. Now my company is requiring us to use their mail service for our "maintenance drugs". The shipments will not fit in my mailbox at my complex so now I have to go to the post office to pick them up. Not very convenient during weekdays. My spouse works for same company and Express Scripts says her medicines were delivered on 3/8. Would love to know where because they were not delivered to our address nor did we get a note from the post office or UPS about an attempted delivery. The government should shut Express Scripts down.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

The medication that was urgently required was not shipped after 10 days despite my having organized prior authorization from the doctor, having given authorization myself, and having updated all payment information. Also, I had phoned several times to make sure the item was shipped overnight. I had to cancel the order to get the prescription filled by my local pharmacy. I give this outfit a star because there is no choice for no star. Hopefully this company will lose the contracts it has with unions and government organizations. They don't deserve those contracts because they endanger the patients who need their meds.

Worst prices and misquoted me more than once. THEY ARE NOT EVEN WORTHY OF 1 STAR!! Every time I call the customer service rep have been very polite but extremely uneducated. The supervisors are just as bad. Every month since last August I have been on the phone multiple times for the same problem. Most times I'm on the phone for over 30min. Yesterday 1 1/2 hrs. They say they record the conversations if you need to verify what you were quoted but they won't let you hear them or even try to follow up on them. They give you some lame excuse. You are better off at any of your local pharmacy on pricing and true information about your prescription insurance policy if you ask for their help. This company should be looked at by the federal government on their business practices.

I hope this helps any new customers looking for a mail order prescription company! I have been using them for years and all this time they have been ripping me off!! I have proof!! Just google your prescription and compare for yourself!! They don't even make the list for the top companies on pricing because they are so overpriced, unless you have a set co-payment they can't fudge that price. Thank goodness but beware if you have a problem. Good luck!

I am having my first experience with Mail order pharmacies. THIS IS NOT BY CHOICE. WE ARE BEING FORCED BY MY HUSBAND'S GROUP INSURANCE CARRIER to use this pharmacy. I received a call from a student telling me my meds would be here in two days. The post office delivered my meds yesterday while I was at my dentist appointment. They left a card in my box saying I could now pick up my prescription at the post office after 1:00p.m. the following day.

Now I have to go double the distance to get my medication. I used to be able to walk to my local pharmacy. I do not own a car and my husband works shift work. I still do not have my meds because I cannot walk the distance to the post office. The convenience this mail order pharmacy is offering has now disappeared. It also takes away from my local pharmacy. I am not happy. My question is, Can the insurance carriers FORCE or DICTATE where we get our meds from? I think this is going against the Canadian Charter of Rights. This is my first time dealing with this pharmacy.

Website is a JOKE - returns nothing but errors. For meds I've been taking for 20 YEARS I still have to call in every 3 months, change my password, speak to 5 different people, re-submit forms, re-call my doctor... It's just extraordinary.

We called 3 separate times and spoke to 3 different representatives. The reason for us calling back was because every time nothing was ever done for our prescriptions that we supposedly had to use Express Scripts. Each time the rep stated something totally different from the last rep. Are these people even trained or have a HS diploma? Now we find out we actually do not need to use them and went to Walgreens to have them filled. That is another whole different nightmare for a different review. Is everybody who is part of the pharmaceutical industry a bunch of morons? 21st century here folks!

Express Scripts quoted me a price on my drug order and when first shipment arrived the price was double. They blamed the Doctor's office for the error but would not do anything to correct the pricing. Had to talk to a supervisor to be removed from the program to stop future orders. VERY POOR SERVICE, THEY ARE OUT TO TAKE YOUR MONEY, DO NOT USE THEM.

When Express Scripts took over our working self funded plan through the University of TX Southwestern Medical Center, red flags immediately went up. Why UTSWMC made this decision is unknown, as they did not send an explanation. We were simply told that the change would happen only to RETIREES. I received Express Scripts book of covered medications. My Omnipod Insulin Management System which had been covered, was no longer included. I immediately called Express Scripts and was assured that it would be covered. When I sent in my refill request (omnipods still appeared in the medication list) they did not refill it. After doctor called, still no refill.

Finally, at least 3 weeks later, Express sent me an email telling me it would not fill the prescription (prior approval for this had been approved). After emailing ES, the only response I got, was that it had been removed from the formulary. I knew this. That's why I proactively called them. Now being left with a 20 day supply, ES told me to find a Medicare part B vendor. I began the hunt. I got on Medicare.gov and found list of companies who were competitive bidders (Texas requires this). None of them supplied Omnipods. Thank God my doctor got involved and my Omnipod rep has been working on this. I do not know what these pods will cost me, so the issue is still up in the air. I would love Consumer Affairs point of view on this one. Express Scrips gets an F.

Our insurance (Blue Cross, Blue Shield NJ) requires we use Express Scripts, saying that it is less expensive than our local retail pharmacy. I had 4 prescriptions to be filled with the start of this insurance year. The first two were not sent, despite sending an email that the prescription was confirmed. When I called about locating the much needed prescription, they told me that they wouldn't send it because the cost was over $500 (each). I explained that a) I had not put any such limit on my card, and b) why not communicate that there was an issue with my order? After confirming, they told me they would send the pills overnight to make up for the delay. They did not. 3 days later, they sent them, and for fun, had UPS require a signature. Which is difficult, since I work, but thankfully, you can make those adjustments on UPS My Choice.

Prescription number 3, which was supposed to be sent with 1 and 2, was sent the next day. Prescription 4 they would not fill because it again was over the $500 limit. Again, I only found out about this because I called. I authorized payment again and reiterated that there was no need for this arbitrary limit on this account. When I told my husband that the prescription (which was $50 last year), would be $2042, he suggested I call and double check. So I called and asked. I found out FROM EXPRESS SCRIPTS that at retail, the cost was 6.08/pill, but that EXPRESS SCRIPTS it would be 7.56/pill, 25% more. I had been communicating with the "Presidential Escalation" hotline, but that did not yield any better level of service. She was unable to even process a credit to match the retail price. Why would ANYONE use this company? If I could give a ZERO star rating, I would.

This is by far the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with as far as I can remember. I was just informed I am required to order my medication through mail order and am not allowed to use my retail pharmacy after two months (which I had already done). I was informed my order would go out in time before my medication ran out and the customer service rep gave me the cost which I confirmed with her was for the brand name, not the generic, and I told her the previous doctor who had prescribed my medication was not my current doctor and she told me it was fine since there were refills left and not to worry.

Well a few days later I got an automated message advising my doctor was not returning their call for the refill and my medication would not be going out. I called and advised I was now going to run out of my medication and needed them to override the system and let me go to my pharmacy. They advised that my insurance would not allow this, and a manager could not override this either. I went the next day to my current PCP, got my labs done and they called in my script. I called to make sure Express Scripts got the information which they did, but the order was not to go out for a few days and my medication would be gone by then. I was told if my pharmacy called a number, I could get a few days worth of pills from my pharmacy. My pharmacy called the number given to me by ES and were told no I could not get my meds.

After yet another call by me to ES, I was informed I could get my pills for a few days, but it was out of pocket. Their customer service department is just completely clueless and provide incorrect information constantly. So now today, I finally got my meds, earlier than I was informed I would (and one day away from my meds running out, after I had already purchased 6 pills out of pocket to cover the time I was supposed to not have my pills), only to get a bill for approximately $75 more than I was informed it would cost. I called ES only to be told the dollar amount the first rep gave me was for generic (which I had specifically asked when I spoke with her). The co-pay card I had from the company who puts out my medication is not allowed to be used by mail order either, so I can't even get that discount.

I did not even get one apology from the representative for the incorrect information given to me. If I had any other choice, I would not use this company. Unfortunately I have no choice. I already told my husband during next open enrollment, we will be changing to another insurance that does not require mail order prescriptions.

Express Scripts filled a very expensive prescription without my knowledge of the cost. I contacted the company once I discovered a charge on my credit card. They stated they "reached out" to me twice by phone and left a message about the cost of the medication. They stated they documented in their records that they made contact with me twice. This is false documentation. I have phone records to prove they did not contact me. They charged my credit card for an expensive medication and did not make contact with me regarding this as they stated.

I do have an email confirmation that was sent for a far less expensive medication, but somehow never received an email about the expensive medication. This is not coincidental but intentional. I contacted Express Scripts customer service and they stated medication already shipped so nothing they can do to resolve this issue. Their tactics are unethical and false documentation on their part is unacceptable. Dissatisfied with this company. Do not give your credit card information to this company. Pay by check only.

For three (3) months I have tried working with Express Scripts to fix a billing error that occurred on 12/29/16. My doctor sent them a prescription and Express Scripts billed my credit card on file instead of Medicaid. The amount was almost $400 and Express Scripts has done nothing but lie to me saying they couldn't fix the billing error. On 1/26/17 Bernadette, a supervisor with Express Scripts told me she could fix it, after a long conversation saying she couldn't.

Once I completed the task Express Scripts Supervisor Bernadette told me I had to complete was done (get Premera Blue Cross to send them the correct end date for my medical coverage), I called Express Scripts back on 2/23/17 and after another painful 2 hours on the phone with Express Scripts Supervisor, Shenekia, I was told they would not correct the error. I am so disappointed in this company. I will NEVER use this company again and will inform everyone I know the same. They lost my business for good.

I went to my doctor for an appointment. He stated I need a particular drug. I logged into Express Scripts website, we found the drug and required quantity. My doctor provided all information they required and the exact prescription. A few days later I got the EXPRESS SCRIPTS robo-call. The call stated EXPRESS SCRIPTS could not fill the prescription and to call the doctor. I called the doctors office, explained there was a problem. The doctors office called EXPRESS SCRIPTS and EXPRESS SCRIPTS told the doctor's assistant they did not carry the quantity he requested. The quantity was right off EXPRESS SCRIPTS website. EXPRESS SCRIPTS cancelled the prescription.

Of the four quantities listed they only had one they could ship. They do not carry the others, even though they are listed on the website. A week later, I get another EXPRESS SCRIPTS robo-call -- guess what -- they cannot fill the prescription --- "call your doctor". Instead of calling the doctor, I called EXPRESS SCRIPTS. They could not fill the prescription with the brand name drug. I checked my online account and they now stated I cancelled the name brand drug for the quantity I needed. A new line was listed showing a different quantity of a generic brand. They are trying to DICTATE that I need to take the generic brand (**). I did not ask or discuss with my doctor anything about the generic drug. This is the second time I have had an issue with EXPRESS SCRIPTS and their business practices. I do not recommend any person or company to use EXPRESS SCRIPTS based on my experiences.

The worst prescription coverage ever and such a pain in the butt. They don't support retail pharmacies and force you to have your scripts mailed to you which for an emergency inhaler is a real pain. They only cover 3 refills at a retail pharmacy. They give you NO warning of this so when I went to refill my scripts the price jumped dramatically. It went from $80 to $362. I didn't even know what was going on.

So then I call to get my scripts transferred from CVS to Express Scripts to do their stupid mail ordered scripts, but because my current prescription wasn't for 90 days and only 30 days express scripts can't charge me the $80 they said it will cost me $140. I wonder where they pulled that price out of? This is a total ripoff and worst company ever. Nothing is easy and they have every stupid rule or reason to charge you more whenever they can.

I mailed my prescription in on 02/03/2017 with a USPS tracking number. Express Scripts received it 02/07/2017. As of today 02/19/2017 it has NOT been filled. I have contacted Express Scripts by phone 4 times and 1 by email. I have been told, "It's on the truck. It will be shipped 02/23/17," only to visit the website which indicates a possible shipping date of 02/25/2017. I am now 2 weeks without medication. This is ridiculous.

I recently called regarding lost mail order Rx, while I had representative online, refilled another Rx which I never received. When called today, I was told needed special approval from doctor for a medication I had taken for 3 years! Since I'm in between changed doctors and my last doc left the country, I'm out of luck. I

should have been told that when I called a month ago!!!

On multiple occasions, I have had my doctor send over prescriptions to Express Scripts, only to have them either 1) refuse to fill the prescription or 2) fill it incorrectly. The last prescription I had filled by Express Scripts got kicked back because they said my doctor did not send a complete prescription over, and it was lacking dosage amount, directions, and instructions. Upon calling my doctor, he confirmed that he had, in fact, sent that information over to them. (Of course, what doctor's office would send over an incomplete prescription? Mistakes can happen, but 99.9% of the time, a doctor is going to send over a completed prescription). Nevertheless, he re-sent the 90 day prescription to them.

On another occasion, Express Scripts sent me a 60 day prescription (2 boxes of **) and said it was the 90 day prescription, since that is what my doctor sent to them. This is completely, totally, wrong. I have always had the same prescription from my doctor (who I've used for over 6 years now) that equals one box per month (ie I should have received 3 boxes for the 90 day prescription). When my prescription arrived, I immediately saw an error on the dosage amount on the printed prescription, and the missing box and contacted them. This is clearly an error on Express Scripts' part, as my doctor would simply copy and send the same prescription I've always had.

I called Express Scripts TWICE today to find out how to correct their error, and was told (by incredibly rude 'customer service' representatives) that there was nothing they could to fix the prescription I received because it was already delivered (I received it this morning) and that any update my doctor sent to them - to correct THEIR mistake - would only count towards the new prescription fill date, in 90 days. Leaving me short a box of ** and paying nearly twice as much as simply getting a monthly prescription filled at CVS.

I cannot express how insane this is, and how they have a complete lack of customer service and take no accountability at all. My doctor would never send over an incorrect dosage on the prescription, as I have had the SAME prescription for over 15 years. This is clearly an error on their side, one which they refuse to correct.

We all know that the only purposes for using Express Scripts are 1) convenience and 2) to save money on co-pays. However, when you get charged for a 3 month supply, and only receive 2 - it is actually much cheaper to simply get your prescription filled at your local pharmacy. Stay away from Express Scripts. Your health is too important to risk by attempting to (sometimes) save a few dollars. I am reporting them to the Better Business Bureau as well. Do not use them. Trust the thousands of other negative reviews online.

If you have an option to go elsewhere do so. If you are stuck using them & must contact them, immediately ask for a supervisor, bypass their first line people. I've had the absolute worst experiences in one year with that company than with all of the other med insurance companies/pharmacies in my 40+ years of having prescriptions filled. I have consistently been given incorrect information, 3 phone calls regarding issues result in 3 different stories, and issues have only been resolved by speaking with a supervisor. I also have been treated rudely, and shown no empathy or consideration by their first line people. Not to mention they always blame your insurance company, it's not the insurance companies it's their untrained uncaring employees who do nothing more than read from scripts. If only there was a way to get insurance companies to stop using them.

Refill "required" medical info? On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 I engaged in a refill for ** 5 mg. The Stop & Shop Pharmacy clerk, Felicita, said it was refused and needed "prior authorization." Both the pharmacy and I contacted the doctor's office and there was no problem. Went back to pharmacy and still refused. The pharmacist said to call Medicare and see if they want to use another category. Medicare said no, and maybe I should try to call Express Scripts. They said to call Medicare and gave me the same # I had called before! Called the pharmacy again, and told them what phone conversations I had. He called Express Scripts and said that they wanted the diagnosis. He told them and the refill was approved! I had to wait 2 days for the refill which should have been immediate. When is the diagnosis REQUIRED to refill a script that I had been receiving for over a year?!

I take ivig infusion every 2 weeks. Last year Accredo said I did not require **. They said I could take **. I had been given ** by a hospital and ended up with kidney failure. I have diabetes and the documentation for ** stated it was contain dictated for diabetics. Express Scripts said they had talked to my doctor and he said it was OK for me to have **. Express Scripts had only talked to a tech at my pharmacy not my doctor.

I am on ** and wafer in which I is supplied by Express Scripts. In June 2016 my endocrinologist put me on **. At the time my blood pressure was 115/70. Express Scripts said no I could not have ** and needed **. By September 2016, my blood pressure was 170/90. In January 2017 my BP was 208/210. I could not figure it out. I had been hospitalized for congestive heart failure, pneumonia, kidney failure, and other things for 1 month. Later 2 hospitalizations. My local Walgreens was stealing prescriptions for ** and **. EXPRESS SCRIPTS, ACCREDO, AND WALGREENS ARE INCOMPETENT AND LIFE THREATENING.

This company is horrible. I writing this because I want people to be an informed employees companies HR and patient customers. They want to dictate the medication you should be taking and will not approve. My doctor provided the information they required. This is the same doctor my son been going since birth. My son been on the same medication for the past six years of his life and is a teenage now in High School. He has been on **. DENIED the preauthorization for coverage. They DICTATE that he would need to take the generic brand (**) before they would approve the **. This is so very disappointing and I have 16 year old son that is so very afraid to take this medication that he's never had. I would understand the decision if this was a new diagnosis but this has been since 4th grade. I purchase the ** today and my co-pay was $108.00 and retail cost 186.00. Thank you for time.

Awful awful company. If you can avoid using them, take my advice and run the other way. I, unfortunately, am stuck with them because my husband's insurance requires we use them. They're billing practices are terrible. I time our purchases so I can pay the copays out of my disability check, but for some reason every now and then they don't take the money out and wait until it's a higher amount before they take it. I have called them and they say it's because I'm not enrolled in autopay, but the rest of the time the money comes out when they fill the prescription.

I don't want autopay because I need to time things with my check. And like most of the other reviews on here, I agree that ALL of their customer service people need to get the chips off there should because it doesn't matter who you talk to, they ALL act like you are wasting their time by calling. If the company did their jobs correctly, we wouldn't have to call now would we? I hate this company, but like I said I have no other choice, so I'm stuck.

I finally found a medication that works after trying all alternatives. After several calls to Express Scripts from my doctor to get a prior authorization approved (what a mess), my medication was still over $900! I would not recommend Express Scripts to anybody if they can help it. This experience has been a complete nightmare.

On February 2, 2017, my Doctor sent 3 medicines to Express Scripts to be filled and only two of them have been sent out and the third ** medicine I was told could not be sent because it's temperature sensitive! Now keep in mind this particular med is to open my airways! You would think that these so called pharmacist would call me to say, "Is it ok if we send this to your Local Pharmacy because it's temperature sensitive." No, so now I have to wait 13 days for them to send it because it's 3-5 business days for shipping and If you add the 5 days I'm already waiting it adds up to a total of 13 days!! I don't know why our government has not shut them down for the complaints they have received and continually receive!! The reason why so many companies have them is so it's convenient too. It saves these company money, but if they're charging the consumer penalty charge to go to the local pharmacy then something is wrong.

I have two pharmacy coverages both which are covered under Express Scripts. Blue Cross and Tricare. If I go to a local Pharmacy they will bill both insurances. BUT if I use the Express Scripts Mail Order system, they DO NOT process the TRICARE coverage even though its the same company processing the claim. What's worse, they do not mention this in their website or in any of their documentation. I have paid over $1,000 in additional copays that should have been covered under Tricare. I surely can't be the only military retiree who has experienced this "sleight-of-hand" procedure. It appears Express Scripts has accepted the military contract but are unwilling to service its members.

Consumer Increased Rating!

The company immediately got back to me and resolved the issue. They indicated that they are aware that the front line people need to be a little more customer service oriented.

Bert of South Windsor, CT on

Original Review

I beg of you, if this is the first time you are going to use Express Scripts, unless you are going to save some big dollars, go to CVS or Walgreens or Sam's Club. These people can mess up a free lunch and tell you that it was your fault. I always thought that if you had a prescription and it was in your plan they send it to you. This prior authorization is just a way to upset your Dr. and delay shipping your meds. I don't understand why they would want to delay. They aren't making any money that way. I am trying to write the denial review group but you know that will be a dead end. Good thing I don't need the meds and can wait the 90 days for the denial to expire and go to CVS.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Express Scripts is the largest pharmacy benefit management organization in the United States. Acting as the middleman between drug makers and employers, it provides services such as home delivery, specialty pharmacy management and prescription benefits for self-insured companies. Express Scripts also publishes an annual Drug Trend Report that details prescription drug costs and utilization.

• Online account: Express Script members can create an online account to manage their prescriptions. Members can schedule refills, review coverage and pricing information, check an order's status and find detailed drug information. Feature availability depends on each individual plan.
  • Home delivery: Home delivery through Express Scripts allows people who take regularly scheduled, ongoing prescription medication to save time and money with free shipping and handling. Consumers can add items with the “Transfer to Home Delivery” button to their shopping cart, and Express Scripts will reach out to their doctor for approval.
  • Medicare Part D: Express Script offers Medicare Part D plans with home delivery for members who receive Medicare. When choosing a Medicare Part D plan, customers should consider a plan with 24/7 access to a pharmacist as well as each plan’s star rating, premium, deductible and copayments.
  • Mobile app: The Express Scripts mobile app provides convenient access to member accounts from any Apple or Android mobile device. Members can refill prescriptions, schedule ongoing home deliveries and view drug information from anywhere.
  • Accreditation: Express Scripts holds accreditation with the URAC for mail service pharmacy and pharmacy benefit management. It is also accredited with VIPPS.
  • Best for self-insured companies wanting prescription benefits for their employees.

Compare Online Pharmacies