Express Scripts Reviews

Overall Rating
1.2 out of 5

About Express Scripts

Express Scripts Reviews

ConsumerAffairs has collected 3,587 reviews and 2,747 ratings.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?
Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Dec. 3, 2023

Customer service reps aren’t trained properly.. Each manager has a different answer for the same issue. Changed my medication for something comparable, but that medication wasn’t in stock! And not sure when it will be in stock. So I’m still receiving meds at the local pharmacy.. so I’m paying 2 different pharmacies monthly for meds.. why doesn’t that make sense to me? Who changes a medication to something new, that’s not in stock? Keep in mind it took weeks to get the meds from the local pharmacy because of so much miscommunication from express scripts.. insanity!

Staff

Reviewed Dec. 2, 2023

It is virtually impossible to get through to an operator and when you do, they disconnect you in the transfer. Their computer “helper” cannot understand your birthdate or zip code. Once you scream at it enough and you get someone online, they pull up old discontinued scripts that they have told me before they have “archived” but they haven’t. You have all of your prescriptions put on automatic refill but when you are down to three pills of a drug with very adverse discontinuation side effects, they tell you that none of your prescriptions are on auto-refill. Your doctor writes a superseding prescription for a higher dosage and they send you the prescription with the lower dosage. My very health is at the mercy of this inefficient company!

Resolution In Progress

Get buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Staff

Reviewed Dec. 1, 2023

Worst company ever. This company has denied my medication for over a year. Medication I’ve taken for years has been denied. Tried another medication didn’t work. The life saving medicine I need denied. My doctor has wasted countless hours filling out their paperwork still denied. How can they deny a medicine you have to have to live? My company did a huge injustice to their employees changing to this company. There is nothing EXPRESS about this company. The employees that are denying these life saving medications are not qualified to decide if your life saving meds are approved.

We pay experienced doctors with many years of schooling. Then we are forced to go thru this company because they are the only option. Horrible horrible company. If I could give this company a -10 rating I would. Do better Express Scripts. Approve the medications people need so less hospitalizations happen. I just want to scream, they have literally ruined my life. I cannot leave my house because I am so sick from not receiving the correct medication I need to live.

Express Scripts
    Response from Express Scripts

My name is SJ and we are sorry that you had a negative experience. We would like to make sure your issue is resolved and does not occur in the future. We would like to discuss your situation further please reply to this message with your telephone number, and or email us at ExpressRxHelp@express-scripts.com. Thank you

Reviewed Nov. 29, 2023

This past year has been the worse customer service in the world. Never had a problem back then when I would call for a refill too soon issue. No one knows what they're doing, they're always transferring me to different departments, takes over 10 minutes to get help on 1 claim. They always hang up the phone. This is just the worse ever, they really need to go back to the automated system to get refill too soon information, regarding when and where the medication was last filled. HORRIBLE!

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed Nov. 29, 2023

I have finally figured out what it is that they do wrong, and should be illegal. I want to see if there is any legal organization that can help me fight them. I take insulin for diabetes. I use a pen injector. My prescription insurance company requires me to fill prescriptions for 90 day supplies. For me that equals 18 pens. FYI. A box of insulin pens = 5 pens. My doctor, trying to be helpful, writes the script for 3 boxes. But that is 72 days.

So when the pharmacy tries to run the prescription through, the Express Scripts denies the claim with a message says they will only cover a 30 day supply (according to the Express Scripts they can only choose one limited message for the response and for some reason..I think because it misleads everyone and they make money on the penalty fees, they choose this one.) So then my pharmacy runs it at 30 days (which is really 26 days) and it comes back as a $409 copay. But that's REALLY $200 for the 26 day supply and $210 as a penalty fee for not filling it for 90 days (but I should ONLY be liable for $68 as a copay). But since it is called a copay, my pharmacy can use my HSA to pay for it. And also, it does not count towards my deductible or out of pocket max because it's a penalty fee, not a copay from the insurance side.

So If the message said 90 days, then the pharmacy would do the right thing, and I would pay the right amount. But I have to then argue with the Pharmacy that Express Scripts' message is a lie. This seems to me to be a nefarious, maybe fraudulent policy here? Definitely predatory the consumers. And if you have not spent enough time talking to everyone involved and hearing the words that are used, you miss where the fraud is. Because MY HSA should not legally be able to pay for non-refundable penalty fees that are fraudulently presented as a copay for medications that are covered by their policies AND are life threatening to not have access to. I spent HOURS and days on the phone fighting to get my money back last time, and I got the $200 med fee but not the penalty fee. (I was out of my insulin and had no choice but to pay or die.)So now I want to fight the policy. This is wrong, and I know I am not the only one they are doing this to.

Reviewed Nov. 28, 2023

Tried to order a drug I have been on. Doctor sent in new prescription. I am out of this drug. I called them and they said they could get it to me in less than a week. Now they have put the drug on hold. Lousy Service.

Customer ServiceReliability

Reviewed Nov. 27, 2023

Horrible and completely unreliable. Consistently fills prescriptions incorrectly, then claims the doctor incorrectly wrote the prescription. Refuses to return when items incorrectly sent. Not even the correct medication. Customer service is horrible, standard is to say doctor is incorrect, and call your doctor's office. Unbelievable they can do business in the US sending incorrect medications and no accountability. Will also deny doctors scripts without submitting to insurance company for authorization. Same problem for years, only stuck doing business with them because employer must love their costing over accurate and dependable healthcare.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed Nov. 27, 2023

I have a chronic illness that not only requires daily medications, but specialty infusions every 8 weeks, as well. Countless times over the last 3+ years I’ve been working with Express Scripts through my employer, I have spent hours on the phone trying to get a medication shipment expedited because of a delay (often times, more than a week since placing the order) at the fault of Express Scripts, leading to days without my medication that is essential to my wellbeing.

To me, this is unacceptable and should be taken seriously, as it has not only impacted the condition of my chronic illness, but has caused many sleepless nights and days filled with anxiety due to Express Scripts’ incompetency. These are scenarios that could easily be avoided by using a more trustworthy local pharmacy option. There is no reason people who rely on daily medications should run the risk of missing dosages due to a pharmacy issue when there was more than enough time between ordering and running out of medication.

As seen on their ConsumerAffairs review, Express Scripts has been rated a 1.2 among 3,575 customer reviews due to poor service, indicating that this is a widespread issue for thousands of customers. As recently as this past Thanksgiving weekend, I had ordered a medication the week prior, allowing for 10 days before I was due to run out, and after multiple progress check-in calls on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, I was finally told on Saturday that my attempts to get the order expedited never went through and my only hope was to get a short-term supply (which required a new prescription, something that was not possible to acquire from a doctor over Thanksgiving weekend) or to transfer my prescription entirely to a local pharmacy since I had 1 day of medication left, and that they could put me on with one of their pharmacists so I knew the risks in going without my medication.

Thankfully, there was a local pharmacy that had my medication in stock, but Express Scripts blocked coverage so I had to pay out of pocket for it. Additionally, the lack of communication at Express Scripts is just as harmful as their shipment delays. There have been several times where I was not notified that I needed a prior authorization or that a previous PA had expired until the day before my infusion was scheduled to get delivered, resulting in me missing/delaying dosages that was imperative to my health. Each time this happens, I raise the issue to Express Scripts and request that I am notified of any potential shipment delays prior to the week of delivery, all to no avail. I have done everything in my power to try and raise my concerns, filing complaints to both Express Scripts directly, as well as to the Better Business Bureau to open an investigation. So far nothing has changed and, unfortunately, I doubt it ever will.

Reviewed Nov. 27, 2023

My wife is 70 years old, two time cancer survivor, and has a credit rating over 800. Today she was told that Express Scripts (Amanda) won’t send her cancer drugs even though all our bills are paid. In fact they owe us 20 dollars and the credit is in transit and that’s what is causing the delay. My wife has been on the phone many times with this company and today she was talking to a manager named Amanda that treated her like crap. If my wife dies because of this I will file many lawsuits but meanwhile I’m taking to the internet to let others know.

Contract & Terms

Reviewed Nov. 25, 2023

Updated on 12/01/2023: They are not allowing me to close my acct, even after I have filed grievances and spoken to several “managers” who stated they would resolve the issue. I went a week without a very important medication. Then I just got notice that they sent me a prescription that I did not even order. I told them I will refuse the mailed package as I am not paying $125 for something I did not want from them. They said they wouldn’t accept it and if I didn’t pay, my acct would go to collections. This is the absolute worst customer support I have ever received. They are the plague of all pharmacies.

Original Review: Express Scripts is the plague of all pharmacies. I have dropped them before for late deliveries, usually a week after they’re due. Was forced to use them again due to my employer’s contract with them. Again, same issue. I was due a very important medication yesterday, and it won’t be here for another 3-5 days, so I’ll be almost a week without it, despite my doc calling in this script weeks ago. Ridiculous.

Response from Express Scripts