1.18/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2778 Express Scripts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have been trying to get my birth control shot for over two weeks. Apparently you can only pick it up from a pharmacy locally twice and other than that they must mail it to you. They already know I am on this medication since it is in my history but insisted my doctor fax over a copy of the prescription. My doctor has faxed it over three times now and Express Scripts keeps saying they have not received and will not mail the medication. I need it for the 12th so it’s likely I won’t have it since I was told mailing takes 8 business days. What is the point of this service if you get no service at all. Such a horrible company and would definitely not recommend.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I have been using TRICARE Express Scripts for several years now. Initially, it wasn't too bad. The past year, however, has been unbearable. Their "system" keeps changing the prescription that my doctor has now sent in FOUR TIMES! I can't imagine that is even legal? I have been in contact with them approximately 10 times since July about this matter. To make things worse, they keep shipping me the incorrect quantity of medication and charging me for it. When I told them I am not paying for orders I did not request, I was told that my doctor and I "better get our stuff together" because this was going to be "the last credit you'll get in the next 18 months". Last credit? Try only credit! And it was for $7! Not a life-changing moment for me, despite the fact that they think they did me a huge favor.

Every representative and supervisor I have spoken to about this matter has been rude, unhelpful, and downright uncaring. I have asked several times if they are under new management or what has changed since they used to be very respectful of their military families, and not one of them has addressed my concern. They actually act like they can't hear me and continue talking about other things. Avoid them at all cost. I'm only suffering through this so I don't have to pay 4x the price at the local pharmacy, but pretty soon, it's going to be worth it to not put up with this garbage and disrespect!

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Received a prescription in the mail I did not order. Express Scripts personnel and supervisor were disrespectful and did not tell the truth about why they sent the package. The company pursued my information and contacted my doctor without permission. I have a right to use any pharmacy I choose. Now my prescriptions will be interrupted From my regular pharmacy due to their ineptness. Poor company! Will tell everyone I know not to use this company. No wonder the ratings are so low.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Unfortunately I have to deal with Express Scripts due to my employer. This is the second time I am ordering a prescription with Express Scripts and it is the second that I regret. The prescription is shipped late and will arrive even more late due to shipment by the most cheap way possible. They take no responsibility for their actions (lack of actions). Terrible customer service.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

My fiance has heart issues and neurological issues and has to have her meds. She is req. to use this co. They lose her meds, fail to fill them, cancel prescriptions repeatedly then ask you to call and get another prescription. My fiance is still waiting on a prescription from one month ago and they are saying it will be 7 to 10 days. They took two weeks to fill one order, then lost it in their pharmacy, the 2nd one they claim was damaged in mail and returned. We have caught them in repeated lies. The authorities and possibly Congress should look into this business. They are putting lives at risk.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I urge all TRICARE users of this sham pharmacy to write or e-mail your Congressmen with your complaints. I won’t go into extensive detail but I will tell you that my health care provider & I jumped through their hoops for almost 2 months getting a “prior authorization” for a diabetic medication. When I applied for my 2nd refill, I was notified that I needed a new prior authorization because they had a formulary change. Never received any notification of this development. My physician & I jumped through the same hoops. Only this time I was denied & they wanted me to use medications that are contraindicated for diabetics with kidney disease. (This means me.). My physician filed an appeal in my behalf. Express Scripts informed me that an appeal could take up to 90 days.

I phoned them today for another follow-up & was told my appeal was denied. I asked who makes the decisions to deny medications. I was told it is done by a pharmacist. This pharmacist is acting like they are God, but they know nothing about my health history. I’m denied a medication that they authorized for me before which has been like a miracle for me. It not only reduced my A1C (blood sugar) but caused no further damage to my kidneys or circulatory system. I was told by Express Scripts that I will get my denial letter in the mail and I will be given instructions on how to appeal to the next level & they have no idea how long it will take to receive a reply to that appeal. In the past, I have contacted TRICARE in the past asking how I can lodge a complaint about Express Scripts.

I was given the same phone number that is used to call Express Scripts. I contacted DOD with the same question & given the exact same phone number. I don’t think I’m stupid, but how can anyone believe their complaint is going to be taken seriously or acted upon when you are lodging it with the company you are complaining about. I contacted a local pharmacy to inquire how much my medication would cost me out of pocket. I was quoted $1,040. I believe I know why my appeal was denied, my medication would cut into their big, fat profit margin. Well my fellow TRICARE subscribers, I think our beloved service members gave so much more to our country than for their dependents (who also made a lot of sacrifices) to deserve this type of treatment.

I decided I had enough of this company who delivered my medications to the wrong address & wanted me to pay for a re-shipment (I won that argument), blatantly lied to me on numerous occasions, and treated me like I was a big inconvenience. I have contacted my Congressman and Senator and lodged a major complaint. I have asked them to have their staff read some of these reviews posted here, to contact Express Scripts & ask why customers never received responses to their complaints, & to have a review of this government contract with this pharmacy company. I encourage all who have similar shameful customer experiences and complaints to contact your US Representatives of your states and let them know what is really going on. Believe me nobody has any idea unless we all become proactive.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

My doctor increased the dosage of my maintenance prescription medication from 150mg to 225mg daily by adding new 75mg prescription to existing 150mg prescription. Express Scripts pharmacist(s) made UNILATERAL DECISION to cancel renewal prescription (150mg/90 days) WITHOUT CONTACTING ME OR MY DOCTOR, justifying it by saying, "We thought you were reducing your medication dosage, not increasing it". Clearly, an ill-informed and neglectful decision bordering on professional malpractice.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I have been working for days on getting my prescription paid for. I have OHI which has paid and Express Scripts is refusing to pay with no reason given! The pharmacist is going out of their way to resolve this. What I don’t understand is that previously to October 2018 everything was fine. Perhaps a software update? What is shameful is that the pharmacist called the Help Line while we were waiting. The Express Scripts rep kept telling her she was entering the wrong code but wouldn’t tell her the correct one to use. My husband called and the person that he talked to was clueless. I’ll run out of my meds soon but I refuse to pay when I have TWO insurance companies. This is no way to treat the military. Get rid of Express Scripts or fire a bunch of inept people and hire people who are competent.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

We use TRICARE Express Scripts for our prescriptions. Express Scripts sometimes uses DHL and when they do our prescriptions are either lost or delayed. I just hope TRICARE finds another pharmacy!! I intend to contact my congress representatives about this issue.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Spending multiple days on the phone with an average of 3 hours per time to get benefits for insurance coordinated is ridiculous. When both primary and secondary insurance use Express Scripts as their pharmacy it seems that is even more difficult to get them to recognize secondary. When the med must be delivered they are essentially holding it hostage. Disgusted and angry with process, prices and the incompetence of first and second line reps. The phone "recognizes" your number and bounces the call where the computer program thinks it should go. Without throwing a fit you cannot seem to get out of this process. Then once you think you have things straight and they tell you things will be straightened out on your account within 72 hours it is imperative that you call to make sure that is the case. It was not after twice in my case. I have one more such gauntlet to run. Ask for a supervisor and insist until you get one.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

This has happened many times with Express Scripts. My script ran out and they say they sent a fax to the doctor. I have told them many many many times that is not how it works. The doctors won't fill that script. You have to call them or this brilliant idea!!! Call me or send me an email. You didn't and I have ran out of meds again from you!!! This morning after complaining, I got an email telling me they can't fill the script. Hmmm. After I called I finally get a notification. Someone is going to die and E Scripts will be sued. You need a better handle on expired scripts. This is so wrong. Now I am without ** because it takes you 7 or more days to get it to me too! The slowest service ever! I am complaining to Ford Medical Trust too.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

This company forces you to use their mail order service or you are charged 300% more than at a local pharmacy. All this happens without any notice of the increase in the amount you will be charged. We live in the northern part of the country and mail will be in our box for 10-11 hours. The needed Rx is sensitive to extreme temperatures. Therefore, it will be unusable after sitting in below zero temps for an extended time. ES simply doesn't care! All they care about is forcing people to order from them instead of supporting small town local businesses. I REFUSE TO GIVE EXPRESS SCRIPTS ANY OF MY MONEY and will pay more at my local pharmacy where I know I am receiving a high quality product. Obviously they are sending an inferior product if they can charge one third of the cost.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Unfortunately I am forced to use the pharmacy because of our insurance. Literally every month they hold my medication until I run out and then tell me I haven't paid! The problem with that is you cannot order without paying! They have an automated system that calls you then puts you on hold until someone has time to talk to you! Then you have to go through the argument that you paid, of course they say you haven't and they put you on hold again and then finally straighten it out. BUT with them it's never straightened out because a few days later it's again the exact same phone call, and meds still haven't been sent because they again say you haven't paid! Just to figure out you have! I put one star because I had to!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

By far the absolute worst company I've ever dealt with. This is a company that is holding its customers' lives in the palm of their hands and completely abusing that power. Every month my prescription does not arrive. Every month I have to contact them in a panic because their website tells me it was re-filled on a certain date...a week after I need it. I end up restricting my dose because I'm terrified I'll run out. In the beginning they were very nice and apologetic. Now, I get a sarcastic apology and my medication ends up at a convenience store 20 minutes from where I live and 30 minutes from where I work. And the shop owners (or drug dealers? It was hard to tell while I was terrified for my life in there) were keeping my medication on the GUM RACK. The public gum rack. Anyone could have grabbed it. It says "Express Scripts" right on the shipping label.

I had to show them every ID and sign over my life just to get this prescription that was already a week overdue. I genuinely am fearful for anyone whose entire life is dependent on this company. If you require a medication that keeps you alive, please please please do not use this company. You're better off self-medicating by buying ** or ** off a street corner at 3am than dealing with this company for the very basic medications you need to survive.

Seriously...do not use this company. My health and life have taken a severe downturn since my work forced me to use this service. If you or a loved one have been suckered into using this company, please know that at least the major pharmacies have some accountability. There is nothing keeping Express Scripts accountable to their patients. We are not customers. You have promised to take care of our health care needs and you are failing more miserably than any company I've ever encountered. Thanks for nothing but ill health, nightmares and stress. You guys are the worst.

Resolution response: Nov. 24, 2018

After posting my review on 11/19 or 11/20 I was contacted by Express Scripts to review my complaint ($500 default for auto-pay). Much to my surprise the representative listened attentively to my concerns and while I am unsure because of system limitations if Express Scripts can post a notification about their auto default amount for auto pay, she indicated she would pass the info on. To that end I change my rating of Express Scripts for the mere fact that they went out of their way to address my complaint. If you have auto-pay it is possible to have the 'limit' amount changed from $500 but you will need to call Express Scripts, it's not an online option.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I had a horrible experience with Express Scripts to the point I am trying to see if I can use a retail pharmacy. I guess it is no wonder that they are being acquired by another company which hopefully will review Express Scripts policies and how they handle patient issues. If you allow Express your credit card info (auto billing) know that they have a default amount of $500 which is set by them, not the patient. They can charge up to $500 without telling you so if your doc sends in a script and you don't know the cost you may be in for a surprise. Nowhere do they ever disclose this $500 default cap to a customer which does not allow a customer to manage their health care costs.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I had to switch jobs and had a great pharmacy plan with my previous company, not one issue ever getting a prescription filled. We had to switch to my wife's work insurance and they use Express Scripts. I am already paying close to 700 dollars a month for family insurance. My daughter's prescription that was not even 10 dollars with my old plan is now 264 dollars a month with Express Scripts because it is not a preferred medication. What a crock. You cannot tell me there is not something wrong with this picture? I have been on the phone with them for a combined total of 8 hours over two days trying to get some type of resolution and still do not have an answer? I even had the pharmacist on the phone with them trying to figure out what the issue was?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I am 54 years old and have used multiple providers for prescriptions in my life. That is perspective. Our company switched to Express Scripts about two years ago and immediately I detected that there is nothing remotely express about this company. They definitely purposely delay filling prescriptions and am quite sure they market this as savings to companies paying for "coverage". The last encounter I had today involved a current prescription they had on file from my physician. Recently the drug I am taking in that prescription became available as a generic. Rather than processing my final refill and then requesting a switch to generic on next renewal they waited until the prescription was due to be filled to request my physician to change it to the generic. Of course this resulted in further delay and my prescription has now been out for two weeks.

They tried to tell me that this was the doctor's idea/request, but I know it was their attempt to save themselves money. My prescription will now be out for a third week while they take their sweet time refilling the new prescription for the generic. Furthermore I was appalled that when I call customer service, they have a recording that you cannot bypass telling you for three or four minutes that a drug ** has an FDA recall and all the endless details to pursue if you are on that drug. I am not on ** as probably 99% of all customers who call the customer service line. Really? They are going to waste everyone's time so they don't have to take calls from the 1% who are? What a flagrant disregard for the importance of my time.

We would all be better when they like hospitals get reimbursed based on a patient/customer satisfaction score. Pretty simple to see from their other reviews that this is no accident. Agree with the person who said they hold your prescriptions hostage. This is the worst example of customer service I have ever encountered. Shame on them for their sleazy, deceitful practices to prevent having to fill my prescriptions. If you ever have the chance choose anyone else other than these slimeballs to administer your drugs.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have had the worst experience with Express Scripts trying to get a medication. I have had to call 4 times and my oncologist has had to also call 4 times, only to get the wrong information each time and still not have the issue resolved. I even asked for a supervisor and still not given the correct information. The drug is covered. However, they say the quantity per day needs a plan limit authorization. They have no idea what is going on even when they supposedly have the information right on their computer screen. My plan does not allow me to order, the pharmacy I must use is 30 mins away and these are the only idiots I can use.

I have never had such a horrible experience with any company. I even told them I have been taking this medication for almost 3 years and could have a seizure by just stopping it abruptly. She said she could make a note on my account. Why, yes that will be really helpful. Ugh! They also made no notes on my account that anyone, myself or my Dr. had called. Given 3 different phone numbers to call and none could get it right. Awful horrible company. If ever given a choice pick another plan with another prescription servicer.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Holding your medicine hostage. This has got to be one of the worst and most crooked companies out there. They nail you with a "retail fee" which is a fine of 3 times what the medicine costs if you use the local pharmacy in order to force you to use their mail order service. That's also non-refundable... Jerks. They constantly call trying to force other meds over to their service and scrutinize everything you are prescribed looking for more opportunities to milk the consumer for more fees. Their communication is horrible, they don't interface well with primary doctors which results in you having to work the issues out yourselves. I'm sure our insurance used them because they are cheap, and obviously you get what you pay for.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

We have been using Express Scripts for a couple of years now. Very disappointed in our last prescription fill. We received email confirmation for one prescription, yet received another in the mail that we cannot use due to medical complications. When they called us to get authorization for the order (because of the amount), they did not tell us what medications we were paying for, or that they made a change. Noteworthy is that the prescription they changed it to is 3x the cost of the original one we got email confirmation for! After 5 weeks of phone calls, Express Scripts finally said they are not reimbursing us the $1446 for the prescription. We are canceling our accounts. Extremely frustrated - seems like a money grab!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I notified Express Scripts on August 24, 2018 that my wife had passed away on August 22, 2018. I was told that her account would be closed and all activity would be shut down or stopped. I started receiving alerts on my iPhone as of November 1, 2018 and every day since then. The alert says she is out of her prescription for **. The alert has an Express Scripts header and logo that reads "Janet has 0 days remaining of ** 0.3 MG". I have emailed Express Scripts about the problem only to receive an email response with no substance whatever. The email response says the problem has been well documented and the alerts will stop. The alerts have not stopped and documentation alone will fix nothing. I have also contacted Express Scripts by phone on several occasions in an effort to stop the alerts.

My phone calls have accomplished nothing but a song and dance with a runaround and empty results. I have been told that my wife's account has had everything closed or stopped. I have even been told the problem is with my iPhone. I have also been told there is nothing more that can be done to stop the alerts but the alerts keep coming every day around noon Arizona time. Everyone at Express Scripts says they are sorry about the loss of my wife but they are not sincere. Everyone I speak with apologizes for the alerts that keep coming but they are not sincere. The individuals would take the extra step to find a solution to stop the alerts if they were sincere and caring. Pictures of the iPhone alerts are available upon request.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I was prescribed ** and the pharmacy informed me that Express Scripts didn't cover that drug. Letter from express scripts recommended telling the doctor to prescribe something else (no alternatives given or listed in the letter). Ended up paying the cash price for a drug that was just $7 per pill. I gather they prefer a negative review with higher profits over a satisfied customer. Just another crappy company with 100+ billion in revenues.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

My wife and I have used ES for over a decade and are now using ES Choice PDP Medicare plan. ES has given us good service with mail order prescriptions but we recently had an issue at our local retail pharmacy. What we're not happy about is our local pharmacy has been listed by ES as a preferred network retail pharmacy and we have one time use, non maintenance or medication that does not qualify for mail order prescriptions sent to them. My wife has one medication that does not qualify for ES mail order and this prescription is sent to our local pharmacy each month but the most recent one cost 3 times more than previous ones. The pharmacy ran it through twice because of the major price difference and they could not explain the difference.

My wife's Medicare prescription status has not reached the coverage gap slot so after contacting ES we were told that they had changed the status of our local, as well as several major chain pharmacies in our area from preferred retail down to participating retail. A notice of this pharmacy status change should have been issued to the plan holders. For a company that wants your trust this is no way to conduct business if you have to go on their website or call them every time to check if your local retail pharmacy is still listed as a preferred network pharmacy before any prescription is filled.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

This is my first time using Accredo. My experience has been infuriating. I started the process of filling my son’s prescription in early September; it is now November 9th and I am still being given the runaround, with no delivery date in sight. Do yourself a favor and find out where else you could fill your prescriptions. One hand does not know what the other is doing in this company. I have documented names and extensions of people that I have spoken with over this past couple of months and when I called back, no one knows who these people are. My son is now three weeks late for receiving his medication. Unfortunately, his insurance is making me use this company to fill this specialty medication. On a side note, I wouldn’t have even given this company one star, but they force me to in order to publish this review.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I was waiting on a medication that I cannot miss much. The doctor sent the order for a Generic Brand on Oct 23rd and I called on Nov 2nd, since I did not get my medication or any notification via email about shipping. Similar to few times in the past - they gave me the runaround for an hour, connecting between Pharmacist and reps and to this date, I do not have my medication nor no helpful reply from Express Scripts. Reported issue to BBB. I believe the staff is not customer oriented and they do not have proper training. Horrible Service.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I was notified by Express Scripts on 07/18/18 (received 07/24/18) that they were terminating my Part D plan in one week. The excuse was that I was no longer in their service area, which is the 50 states in USA. I moved from Ohio to Wisconsin, due to health issues. I complained several times, but they would not recognize their error, and that Wisconsin is still in the USA. I paid for the full year, in advance. Only after repeated requests did I receive a refund two months later. Because of the incorrect cancellation by Express Scripts, I have experienced significant added costs to my medications, and expenses incurred while trying to correct the actions of Express Scripts.

I registered complaints through Maximus Federal Services, who did nothing. I suspect Maximus is a front for Express Scripts. I complained to Medicare, who did nothing. This is not the only problem I had with Express Scripts, but I will write the other problems off as incompetence. I assume not intentional, which would be fraudulent. This is how Express Scripts mistreats the elderly and disabled.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Updated on 11/11/2018: Well here I am again with more lies. I heard back from ES. 1st the rep thought I was referring to RX problem for my husband heart meds (whole other issue) so I had to explain what happened yet again. She told me she would look into finding a way to help (total lie). I said, "Go ahead but pa department rep told me pay out of pocket or wait until 11/15/18 to get rx through ins for 75 for 30 days and so did his supervisor and her supervisor." She sent me a few other follow up responses that she was still checking then nothing.

Now I'm getting calls from Walgreens that I can pick rx for 25 days not 30 (still out of pocket) and if I wait until 11/15 I can get 59 pills not 75. As of now I have been without my pills for 9 days and don't feel confident this is going to resolved even after I did what they told me to do again. I told supervisor that I hoped her or her family never needs these meds or gets sick like me because this is a horrible way to treat sick people.

Original review: I have used them for a while now and never had an issue. I believe something changed as of 10/1/18 all the same prior auth. problems that I've seen here from others. I started this fight on 9/28/18 and still isn't resolved as of 11/2/18. I'm going to have to do without my pain meds for 2 weeks and hope when I try to fill it again on 11/15 it will process. I have RA Lupus Sjogren's, 2 neck surgeries and have lost use of my thumbs. I was begging and crying for help today after speaking with 2 Supervisors in PA department. All they stated was to buy out of pocket (which I can't afford) or wait 2 weeks. I will send additional information in 2 weeks with my outcome.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

On two occasions now my prescription has encountered a bug where it says it is being filled, but never ships. The first time it happened they said it was a minor bug that would never happen again. A few months later it happened again. In both cases I am left without critical medications and no one at the company seems to care.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

After receiving a new script for a new drug I called ES for a price for mail order or retail pharmacy. Quoted a cheaper price for mail order. Mailed script and had to make about 8 calls to ES to get status of my order. After about 11 days finally decided to have my Doctor write a new script to take to retail. The day I called for info on telling them to forget it. I was advised script arrived the day before was being processed and could not be canceled. And the price was double what I was quoted. Filed a grievance and received a rejection letter stating all the calls they reviewed gave me the higher price and all the problems I had talking with them were mostly nonexistent. So I am undoubtable a liar. I must like to mail things and pay double. My company has a contract with Express Scripts because it must be the cheapest they could find. Totally disgusted!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

10/25/2018. An assistant indicated that I was opioid naive in spite of abundant documentation that I take opioid in the records for many years. Said assistant says she subsequently corrected her mistake 2 days after entering this false information. I can't get proof she did this (I have repeatedly tried). This person has no medical training and is not qualified to render such important decisions. During the appeals process the review of my supplied information "a doctor" was to review the records, but did not. There was ready access to proof I was not opioid naive in Express Scripts' records.

My instructions that no one but me or my wife was to deal with my problem was ignored. This instruction was received 19 days before the prior authorization department denied my eligibility, based on unauthorized and incomplete information. I have been paying for ** patches out of my pocket. PA department subsequently decide I was to use 50 mcg/Hr patches. This in spite of notification that my dr and I are titrating how much I need not to have to take oral med for breakthrough pain. I am currently using 75 mcg/Hr, and still need oral meds.

The pain (pudendal neuralgia) has been waking me up around 3 am for years now and continues to do so. The next steps will be to increase my dose incrementally until I can remain comfortable without supplementation. It has been difficult to get my records. I asked for a list of medications ExSc has helped me with. They sent me a document without names of medications, only numbers. Subsequently I got another with the names. I wanted this to show I had been getting ** for a long time.

Express Scripts Company Information