3.8/5 (1306 ratings)

About Express Scripts

Express Scripts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I have a prescription filled every three months or so with Express Scripts. It gets transmitted by my doctor electronically, and unfortunately, the shipping defaults to a standard 3-5 business days. I need to have this medication shipped overnight or at least 2-day shipping since I have to be home to sign for it, so it's very important to know when the package is coming because I have to rearrange my work schedule. I can't just sit at home day after day waiting for the package to arrive so I can sign for it. Further, since the Thanksgiving holiday is approaching, I was worried I would be traveling. If I didn't have expedited shipping, I was facing the very real possibility of running out of medication, or else having to cancel my trip.

I had called Express Scripts previously but the representatives told me that there was nothing they could do and it was too late to change the shipping. I had basically given up, but after reading the reviews here, I sent a request to the email address given by Express Scripts in the replies to the reviews. I was very pleasantly surprised that an Express Scripts customer liaison, Adam F., replied almost immediately to my email requesting expedited shipping. He told me he had noted my request to expedite shipping in the system. I was somewhat skeptical because the Express Scripts site still indicated standard shipping, and given what the other reps had said, I wasn't very hopeful. But today, just as the medication was filled, the shipping indeed was upgraded to overnight, and an overnight tracking number was issued.

I want to thank Adam F. and Express Scripts for being extremely responsive, and not only that, actually doing what they said they were going to do. I was worried I would run out of medication since I was planning on traveling for Thanksgiving and with standard shipping I wouldn't have been home when my medication was expected. I know it can be frustrating dealing with the customer service departments of large companies, so I think it's important to recognize when someone does an outstanding job. Thank you again, Adam F.!

Express Scripts response

My name is Shanta and we are sorry that you had a negative experience. We would like to make sure your issue is resolved and does not occur in the future. We would like to discuss your situation further please reply to this message with your telephone number, and or email us at ExpressRxHelp@express-scripts.com. Thank you

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

I have been a Medicare subscriber of Express Scripts for 3 years. I have been very happy with pricing and service I have experienced with this company. I am NOT happy that Cigna has acquired this company and my monthly premium starting in 2022 is going from $27.20 to $66.80. In addition CVS is no longer going to be a preferred pharmacy. I will be looking for another plan.

Express Scripts response

Get buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

I've had the most wonderful experience with this company. They came out with a new website esrx.com\pastatus. I do understand that this company saves me money and protect me in case a prescription interferes with the nether dragon medication that I'm taking. And the coverage review Department that my doctor needs to call I can either have them go to a website or faxed it in. I'm truly blessed to have this type of coverage in insurance. Simply an amazing company.

Original review: May 6, 2021

I was a bit dubious when our insurance required us to use Express Scripts for maintenance medication, but after a year of use I'm favorably impressed. Getting them (3 pills) from the local chain pharmacy was rarely without some sort of problem -- in a year of Express Scripts, they transferred my prescriptions over without hassle, have contacted the doctor for my auto-refills in plenty of time, and when I switched doctors, that was also handled seamlessly -- all I had to do was check my account to see that they'd received the new prescriptions. Even with the pandemic, I've had my refills in plenty of time, and they give me the option of being invoiced and making payment after delivery, which I prefer rather than having them charge my credit card.

Thank you for your positive feedback. We are always here to help. Thank you ^SJ

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

So been on the same medication for years as a maintenance medication. Because there was no generic. Then when a generic was created they decided to up my out of pocket cost for the medication. Fine. I tried the generic for 2 months. Made me physically sick, shaking, cold sweats, inability to sleep, so on and so forth. High irritability. Called and told them, "I can not take this medication. Makes me sick." So after the two month generic trial I then started paying 128 dollars out of pocket till I found out about the brand specific discount card which lowered my end back to 28 dollars. So I could get name brand again. Everything went back to normal then I started receiving letters from them saying, "Oh we contacted your doctor. They said it's fine for you to take generic."

I go to doctor and say, "Has my insurance company contacted you?" He says, "I've never talked to them." He writes brand specific on prescription. They have not asked. So then 2022 comes along and the insurance company decides to complete cut name brand payment completely off sticking me with 400 dollars just for the medication with no alternative and they think what do they care they're saving a buck. Just sad and ridiculous. For the people generic works for great. That doesn't mean everyone can do that. I dunno how someone can sleep at night when they do this to people just to save a buck and after multiple calls telling them I can't do generic makes me sick. I bet their families don't go through this.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I was supposed to originally receive a prescription 1/3/2022 (per email) for an order that was placed for Nov. 25, 2021. The order would process Dec. 24...which did not happen. :{ Then per emails I would receive this order Jan. 6 (today). I paid for the order today, $3.70...then later it never showed and the website (Fedex) says they did not receive the package and were waiting for it; and I had also called and talked to a person at fedex as well and they also said they never received the package from Express Scripts! Express Scripts by way of computer created a label but never provided the physical package for Fedex to pick up.... Express Scripts created a label for 2 day shipping giving estimated delivery Jan. 6 since the label was created for a package to ship out on Jan. 4th....

Express Scripts... Management....is stuck on what they claim as factual that the package had shipped out WITHOUT ANY FORM OF VERIFICATION TO PROVE THAT; and they are doing this without even checking with the area that was supposed to actually ship out the package...that is wrong! They cannot even think that they, Express Scripts, were capable of making a mistake on their end!

Ok so I ordered this prescription in 2021 and paid for it already at the fees for 2021...Now they want to penalize me...and I have been penalized already with the number of unsuccessful upsetting phone calls today and the HOURS spent in total on those calls which I should never ever have had to do at all! #1...They are now telling me I need to wait 30 - 45 days before they will take action on my prescription that is missing because of their error! #2...They refuse to contact FedEx to discuss the fact that there was never a package to pick up; for express scripts insists that a package was picked up and is in the shipping process; that whole issue is very wrong from Express Scripts.

And it upsets me more that they will not even make a connection to the express scripts location that had shipped this package out supposedly; and even check around to see if the package had fallen somewhere...floor, underneath something...whatever or wherever it is being shipped out from.... #3....They want to (and I think they did and that makes me so mad!) use (and I refused this) my last refill that I had to fight the doctor for (old doctor that I had just left), which is for the future, for March. #4....They want to bill me for that order at the higher 2022 prices when I have already paid for one that I never received! I don't know where else to go with this huge problem....

I am going to check into letting other agencies know about all of this that might oversee pharmacies across the country and let them know what their practices and attitudes are here. The Better Business Bureau needs to know. Medicare needs to know. Next is a complaint line of some sorts I saw in searching for where to go for the top level of management for express scripts. After I get this all sorted out...I'm done with Express Scripts! They are awful! I have many emails verifying dates that I had mentioned previously here.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

Express Scripts is awful. In my recent experience with COBRA insurance coverage, my former employer communicated to Express Scripts at least 4 times to tell them my insurance needed to continue, and 4 times, Express Scripts has turned off coverage for myself and my family. Do not ever use this company if you can avoid it.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

This company is the shadiest company I’ve encountered. They refused to update my information correctly so it showed I still hadn’t met my deductible. Despite the fact that my health insurance company told me multiple times they talked to Express Scripts and we’re assured it was taken care of. I had multiple conversations with people there no to avail. Meanwhile the prescriptions that prompted the problem were stuck in limbo since I refused to pay for them since I had already met my deductible.

My payment cards were set to not authorize payment for any amount over $100. But despite the fact that they were aware of my dispute with them and the fact that I didn’t authorize them to they chose to process those scripts anyway and charge my card for like $250. I am so livid at this point. They’re apparently going to open a case with the fraud department or some ridiculousness. How is it possibly ok to charge my card without my permission??? They weren’t even set to auto pay so they shouldn’t be charging anything at all. So now If they chose not to refund my money I’ll have to wait at least a month before my health insurance company will reimburse me. This company is awful. I’m glad my employer has chosen a new pharmacy manager for the new year. But beware!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

I have spent over 2+ weeks trying to get my high blood pressure medication, with the last week or so being without it. I, and even my doctor, have been lied to and given the wrong information about the medication I was taking.... saying it was not covered. After about a week it was resolved to the point of them sending the medication by expedited FedEx. They said it was suppose to be sent on Monday, November 29, and I should have received it the next day. NO.... and now it is Thursday, December 2 and still no medication.

I have called way over a dozen times in dealing with Express Scripts, and have received many e-mails and text messages about the medication, many saying it was not authorized, and then later in the day getting the message it was. Luckily my doctor sent in an emergence 7 days supply to my local pharmacy. How this company can stay in business is beyond me, with their lies and misinformed information. Wish I knew who to call to kick them off their butts to do their job.

Express Scripts response

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

Updated on 01/16/2022: You'd think that after my previous reviews, Express Scripts would do more to correct its bad behavior. Unfortunately, they're at it again. I'm on a high dosage of **, the generic form of **. I take 300mg each day to regulate and manage my depression. What did Express Scripts do? They decided that 300mg was too much for me to take and that my doctor must have been wrong to prescribe such a high dosage. In response, they rewrote the script for only 150mg per day. Once again, they have screwed me over.

Original Review: For the second time, Express Scripts is interfering in my getting my medication. I suffer from Major Depression Disorder and rely on ** to keep me alive. Just over a month ago, I ordered a refill from ES for this medication. They set a delivery date that would allow it to arrive in time and before my medication ran out. Unfortunately for me, their delivery service dropped off my meds in another state and left them there to be handled by the USPS. This resulted in the meds arriving 4 days late. I ended up in urgent care because of their ineptitude. Now they're doing it again, but this time my doctor sending in a prescription doesn't qualify as authorization for the meds. They now want my doctor to call in to "authorize" everything. It's as if they want to kill me.

Express Scripts response

We understand you are frustrated, In order to assist we will need more information. Please email ExpressRxHelp@express-scripts.com your member id, phone number, handle name, date of birth and how we can better assist. Thank you. ^SJ

Express Scripts Company Information