3.39/5
Based on 1,160 ratings submitted in the last year

2938 Express Scripts Consumer Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 19, 2019

I have requested on several occasions that my privacy be respected and that as a 62 year old woman I not be treated as someone's child! My prescriptions come to my home addressed to my husband. This has repeatedly happened and I have repeatedly requested (politely) that it not occur again. It is a matter of patient confidentiality and privacy, yet EXPRESS SCRIPTS HAS AND CONTINUES TO DISREGARD PATIENT CONFIDENTIALITY!!! I cannot recommend this mail order pharmacy to anyone -- yet it is the only mail order pharmacy on my insurance plan. (I have checked.) I am at the point that convenience is not worth the disrespect and will order my 90 supply at my local Rite Aid and go pick them up in person. Rite Aid is respectful and HIPAA compliant.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 17, 2019

When cancelling your prescriptions or auto refill, make sure that you get the representative’s name, date and time of the call. I called to stop my subscription because I transferred to a new job. But I received an email that my medicine will be mailed soon. I called back and they promised to stop it. Guess what, it still came! Luckily my prescription only had that last refill or else they would have kept coming. Now they want me to pay for it! It is unbelievable how a company just lies to their customers. They should stop operating. I hope companies/employers would stop using this shameful, dishonest and incompetent company. I hope karma will get you all real soon!

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 15, 2019

This is the absolute worst company Tricare could have contracted with to handle our prescriptions. They mess up my scripts every single time. I am so fed up with these rude people. I need two of meds marked as brand name only. Every time my doctor's office sends in the brand name script, this place changes it to generic, which I cannot take.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 9, 2019

My old provider, Caremark, would contact the doctor if a prescription ran out, and Express Scripts did when we were first forced to switch over. They stopped doing so with no notice. It is inconvenient, but I can deal with it. If you have no choice but to use Express Scripts, I recommend that you regularly count the number of pills in the bottles. I have been a few short before, but in a bottle that was supposed to contain 90 pills I just received 27. The count on the bottle says 90.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I deal with a lot of pharmacies and I cringe when I have to go through Accredo. It is never a smooth process and they prolong every prescription. I have an issue with every prescription they get, but we are REQUIRED to go through them. It should be illegal!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

Original review: June 4, 2019

Accredo Specialty Pharmacy will call you and then when you answer, it's a computer. That's about as stupid as calling someone and putting them on hold. I need an actual person to call me, not a stupid computer. Then when I call them back, have to go through 4 minutes of wading through another computer just to get a live person on the phone. When I finally talked with a person, they have a lengthy script that they have to go through, repeating the patient information at least 3 times. I was 15 minutes on the phone with Melissa before I could get my cancer meds sent to me. Totally NOT reasonable.

Original review: June 3, 2019

If you are in a hurry for your medications, do not order from Express Scripts. Don't waste your time paying for expedited service. It doesn't matter. Terrible company, but I have to use them because my employer does.

Original review: June 3, 2019

They sent meds (refills) I didn't order. I called to tell them to take me off of "auto-refill." They said I wasn't on auto refill. They say I ordered them. I stopped taking two of the meds one month and two months before they were refilled. I tried to explain this in an e-mail and their response was explaining what would happen if I tried to send them back. None of the bottles are sealed and they don't accept returns so nothing can be sent back. They claim I ordered them online so no refund will be issued. I was not even home at the time these orders were placed.

Original review: June 3, 2019

In January my pain center started to use narcotic electronic scripting and so I had them send them into Express Scripts who are half the price of most pharmacies in copay. My first bad experience was them taking a long time to ship the items and cancelling the second pain script for a later month due to federal laws so they say even though my pain clinic had done both for the same date and then a note about a refill date, which I found out is how it's meant to be done for a pharmacies to hold two electronic class two scripts. My later ones had issues of major delays and I contacted them about why one of my meds hadn't shipped. They then sent me a email back stating that it was missing parts and that they had been trying to contact my pain clinic and to call them.

So I called my pain clinic and they document all calls and had no record of Express Scripts trying to contact them and so they called Express Scripts to be told the script is fine. Nothing wrong with it and that they hadn't tried to contact them. I wish Blue Cross who are excellent would use another pharmacist. I did ask them about any other low copay ones and they told me that it's up to the pharmacist not them discount wise. All the pharmacies I have contacted say they cannot tell me my copay without the scripts. So I either put up with a horrible service from Express Scripts at half price or go to my local one who are very reliable.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 1, 2019

My son died 15 years ago taking his own life. I am not addicted to this medication. Within these few years I have lost 4 brothers and 1 sister to cancer. I have recently found out my last brother now has it. Now I have to wait 5 days just to get a prescription filled through Walgreens. No refills. 1 prescription. This is getting beyond ridiculous. Possibility of checking into new medication company.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 31, 2019

Express Scripts fills generic prescriptions from Manufacturers (mostly from India and China) who received violations warning letters from the FDA. The one company they used to fill my generic Lipitor RX is Apotex. Research it and you'll see Apotex Group's Indian manufacturing company, Apotex Research, picked up a warning letter from the Food and Drug Administration following an inspection last November that revealed a number of significant violations of current good manufacturing practices (cGMP). The company has been on import alert since April 2018. Always check to see who manufactures your medicine.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Express Scripts is the worst Pharmacy and Insurance I have ever had because of its inconsistencies in receiving, filling, delivering and communications about my prescriptions. They are all about confusion so they can get the financial gain on the patient. Today I received an email about my RX called in with a link. I’m thinking it’s been wrongly called in because it is the previous lower dose. I then have to spend the next 20 minutes waiting to finally speak to someone who can tell me the link is wrong along with giving me the correct information. I have no idea who the impersonal person was claiming to be a ‘pharmacist’ who rudely then told me to blame my doctor.

They always try and blame all of their mistakes on your physician. When I finally got to the bottom of it a supervisor called me with the real information. They are all about a lot of tricks and smoke screen to get you to give up and go to your local retail. Why? They don’t put this anywhere in the sign up information but yes you do pay more at local retail because Express Scripts offers Zero Coverage unless you buy direct from their inconvenient mail order. Forget you may need your medication promptly. It’s all about stuffing their greedy unethical pockets.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I would have given a zero star if the option is provide. I was with Kaiser last year and had a year-long prescription for daily hypothyroid medication from my Kaiser doctor, which will be valid till 2020. Unfortunately, my insurance had to be switched to Blue Cross and I have to use ES to have 90-day's refills. Since I have 2 remaining refills, I don't want to waste it and spend couple hundreds dollars to visit a new doctor to get a new prescription. So I called ES. At my first call, I was told that Kaiser had to call them since they are not allowed to contact outside pharmacies. This is not the common practice when it comes to transfer.

It always is that the new pharmacy calls the old pharmacy to initiate the transfer. With that being said, I called Kaiser and was told that ES had to give Kaiser a call. So at my second call, ES asked me if I still saw the doctor that prescribed the prescription. If this is not the case, then they would be not able to transfer since they can't contact the doctor whenever any questions rise of the prescription. I told them that this was my maintenance medication and would not be any issues about it. When I was questioning their reason, the operator became rude and impatient, trying to talk over me again and again. So I requested to speak to the supervisor.

The supervisor told me a completely different reason. ES doesn't transfer existing prescriptions instead they contact Dr.s to get new ones. This is something unheard of. There are valid prescriptions sitting in a pharmacy, why the doctors who are prescribed them need to be bothered. Isn't it being redundant and an unnecessary obstacle for the patients. For me, since I am not a member of Kaiser this year and the doctor can't be reached anymore, so I am stranded and not able to get my refills unless I pay extra couple dollars to visit a new doctor. ES doesn't have any considerations on their patients regardless how important the medications are to their patients' lives and how desperate their patients are.

Resolution response: June 3, 2019

Received the medicine on 30th May after a lot of phone calls and payment of $75.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Express scripts delivered my medicine to an incorrect address. I placed an order online, and while delivering the selected one of the previous addresses. Now whoever received the package denies receiving it. There several issues with this company. Every time I place an order I would have to call them again to reconfirm. Only this time i did not call them and they messed up my order. This is a very important medication for me that I cannot miss. Now they are asking me to pay for replacement and that too they cannot do since there is not refill available. Disappointing!!

Original review: May 23, 2019

This is simply the worst pharmacy service I have ever had to work with. I was forced to go through this pharmacy. They never know what they are talking about. When questioned, the representatives will lie. They will take all your information down just to transfer you and make you list it all again. I'm seriously concerned to take the medication that I am supposed to get from here.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 21, 2019

I have been a customer of Express Scripts for 3+ years. I take a specialty medication that we are not allowed to have filled anywhere else. Since day one we have had nothing but issues with Express Scripts. My medicine is ordered every month and for the past 3 years every single order has been incorrect. I don't even know how this is possible. It takes multiple phone calls every month to rectify the issues (not issue). Each phone call is a minimum of 1/2 an hour. The customer service is incompetent and management gives the same runaround every time. Express Scripts needs to be investigated by Government, FDA, insurance companies!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 20, 2019

Worst customer service. Nobody here communicates. They gave me a bill over $6000.00 and said they overpaid for my prescriptions. I've been trying to get this bill resolved for over a year now and they keep giving me the run-around. Do not ever use them under any circumstance.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 18, 2019

On several occasions we have experienced a delay in getting eye prescriptions filled due to Express Scripts requiring prior authorization. The Express Scripts representative offered to fax over the PA to the doctor to help facilitate the process. The doctor's office returned the PA, via fax, the next morning only to be told by Express Scripts that it takes 3-5 days to process a fax. Unbelievable. They have no concern for the patient that is waiting on the medication. Their suggestion was to have the doctor's office call with the PA. Guess it's not a big deal to Express Scripts because we can get a new set of eyes at the grocery store. Ha, Ha!

Original review: May 18, 2019

I requested expedited shipping at $21 on a prescription, it was received and not processed for shipping until almost a week later. After calling I was told the meds were on backorder, with no communication from Express at all. I log in today only to see that it'll be sent out, delivered Monday, almost 14 days after the order was received. What the heck is the $21 for expedited shipping if IT'S NOT EXPEDITED!! I will be pursuing a refund for the shipping.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Why doesn't this company make it easier for providers to fill prescriptions? Maybe give the patient information to give to the provider on how they are supposed to request a prescription. Thank goodness we don't have a lot of medications. I feel bad for the people that have to deal with this company more often. I am frustrated every time I need to fill a prescription for my daughter. I called Express Scripts to ask how the provider is supposed to fill an Rx with them, and they want the provider to call an 800 number to get directions, are you serious? Like they aren't busy enough.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I have been dealing with Express Scripts since October. Despite having a prescription that is refilled every month, they have never paid for anything. First their reason was that they recorded the wrong birthdate for me. We spent three months trying to straighten this out and I thought it was finally straight. Today they refused again to pay my prescription saying I was not covered. It is easy to see the MO of this company - the money stays in the vault. They are the worst I have ever dealt with; even the pharmacist is complaining about them.

Unfortunately they low ball their contracts so businesses keep using them. They are the worst; avoid them if you can. I checked into cancelling my coverage but apparently I can't do that either. This is outrageous. Unfortunately, until the people responsible for employee benefits develop burning ears from the complaints they receive, Express Scripts will continue to get contracts. It has to become unpleasant for them, too, before things will change.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Was prescribed ** medication (type II diabetic) last year, and had no issues getting medication filled for $20 a month. 2019 hits, price goes up to $25 a month for Jan and Feb. March I go to pick it up, $789. Called ES, they said I need to go to Walgreens to get it filled and it would be back to $25 a month. So I go to Walgreens, still $789. Called back. Now I have a lifetime penalty on this medication and other medication I take for more than 2 months at a time! They recommend that if I get a 3 month prescription I can get it for $300 (after I hit our deductible) so I break down to go get it.

Pharmacist tells me that ES won't take/give me a 3 month prescription, only 30 prescriptions. We have been fighting this since March, it's now almost June and I have to go without medication because I can't afford $789 a month! So now back to calling ES and going around in circles. I hate that we have to go through this company to get our medications, they seem to delight in ripping people off and not helping when they are called upon.

Original review: May 13, 2019

After our insurance provider mandated we fill through Express Scripts over a year ago, we've never had a single transaction go smoothly with them. Not one. Not ever. I can understand getting off to a rock start with any new provider of any service, no matter what industry or vertical. But Express Scripts appears to simply be incompetent when it comes to, well...filling prescriptions. Get it wrong once - totally get it. Twice? I can even get that.

But we've made over 2 dozen phone calls, countless emails to them trying to get a single blood pressure medication on 'auto' refill (ANY refill for that matter) to no avail. The odds of so many foul ups happening as 'accidental' are pretty slim. I'm not saying there is a concerted effort to keep from shipping the prescriptions paid for by insurance plans, but one could make a solid argument it's happening - OR that incompetence is the culture. That Cigna paid $54 Billion for this company is dumbfounding; Express Scripts could easily be viewed as a fraudulent company considering the number of complaints and negative reviews in the on-line space. It's shocking they're still in business.

Original review: May 13, 2019

It’s honestly mind blowing at how a company can be so unwaveringly incompetent and provide such useless resolutions to issues. They have been out of stock of my medications for the last 3 months. They have now refused to stop covering my prescription if I continue to pick it up as a local pharmacy, even though they are the ones who have no means of filling the out of stock prescription. I have had to badger my physician to write the script for a smaller dosage and double the quantity since they happen to have those in stock.

I am now completely out of the medication and they refuse to mail the new script due to a pending “clinical question” they have for my PCP and they have “reached out multiple times.” Someone has not yet updated them that in 2019, a fax machine may not be the most efficient way to reach someone. Every representative I’ve spoken to either speaks incomprehensibly or places me on hold to consult with someone else with every question I have. The company has no interest or worries about your medication needs or health, please avoid if possible.

Original review: May 10, 2019

My company was hoodwinked into using Express Scripts and is nothing more than a rip off. I am a diabetic that requires 3 different injection pens as well as oral meds plus oral meds for my blood pressure as well as other conditions. They are refusing to cover my diabetic meds unless I sign up for home delivery and a 90 day supply costing close to $3000 that I have been purchasing at a local pharmacy for a $25 a month copay.

Today I received a nasty notification that the remainder of my meds are going to be denied effective next month since I have not enrolled in home delivery. Issues are I work away from home 7-8 months at a time with no safe secure place to have items like this delivered. Second issue their delivery price far exceeds the local price. Third issue I have met my out of pocket max for the year yet they are charging copays that I should not be paying. There needs to be a class action suit brought against them for price gouging.

Original review: May 10, 2019

After reading hundreds of totally negative reviews, I was scared to death to have to get my MS drug through them, but I had no choice. I have never had a bad experience with this pharmacy. My neuro has even been changing the dosage and Accredo has come through on-time, every time. They regularly call and text when it comes time for refills, and the customer service people have always been polite and professional. Maybe I'm an outlier here, but I have zero complaints about this pharmacy.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have had migraines for my entire 25 year career, tried a multitude of drugs that made me sicker or had no effect, NOW, I need a Prior Authorization for a problem that's been treated by the military medical system for years. I think something needs to be done to this company including a class action lawsuit. They probably think they're too big to even worry about it.

Apparently they are incapable of looking up older treatments to see what has been done in the past. Soooo, now I have to see a new doctor, waste my valuable time starting the process from the beginning... again, since according to Express Scripts morons, my primary care physician (who btw saved my life several times because of medical malpractice by a military doctor, is incapable of making treatment decisions...

Based on these peoples absolute total ignorance of my present treatments and condition. I have to remain in pain because they are so knowing... according to them. I think a class action lawsuit should be elevated in the court system and in a public forum. I think retired military personnel and families deserve something better than this rotten company.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have been getting my prescription auto-refilled for several years with no problem. The medication was non-generic, because there was no generic available. When I received my medication this time it went from $25 to $283 per month, without notice, because they said a generic alternative became available. When I contacted them about it they told me that they do not take returns and that they do not notify the customer of changes in pricing or generic alternatives. Buyer Beware, do not expect Express Scripts business to manage, notify, or auto-renew/refill prescriptions. Learn from my mistake and do not trust that they care about the customer!

Original review: May 7, 2019

I have had several issues with them as I have tried to get prescriptions filled. I have had 3 times in 3 months they tell me the prior authorization is not on file... It is and the doctor sent over my new one yet they are still holding my prescription hostage! This is a script that must be taken every 2 weeks or it seriously messes up my immune system. As it is right now I am to take it tomorrow and they have not shipped it.

I have filed a complaint with the professional licensure board in my state. I am hoping others with similar issues will do the same in hopes of getting this company to get their act together or at the very least have the insurance companies stop using this awful company! The agents you talk to have NO UNDERSTANDING of medications or what they need to do. I got put on hold today for over 45 minutes because the person on the phone couldn't figure out what the problem was so she had to call someone else. If you can help it stay away!

Original review: May 7, 2019

Updated on 05/08/2019: This is related to another review: The drug that they shipped without prior notification was one that required refrigeration. WE DID NOT KNOW IT WAS COMING UNTIL THE DAY IT ARRIVED. This is a very expensive medication requiring refrigeration, which one would EXPECT to receive a notification about. (Eg. "The order that is due to arrive on X date requires refrigeration. Please make sure to remove from packaging and refrigerate promptly upon receipt.") The packaging itself did not say anything about refrigeration. Only in small print on the inside box did I find this information. What if we had been out of town???? What if I hadn't opened the outer box???? So irresponsible on their part. Worse than when a package of medications arrived torn open and they tried to get us to pay for replacements. (They FINALLY conceded it was their responsibility.) If I could give zero stars, I would. I'm calling our HR tomorrow to complain.

Original Review: They say that they will email BEFORE filling prescriptions in order to allow patients to stop any order, but they filled a prescription for my husband and the only notification we got was that it was shipped. They never sent a notification of receiving the request from his doctor or that they were processing it. I tried to cancel it, but they said once it was shipped, we couldn't cancel. IT'S TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS. We could get it from our local pharmacy for $25. THAT'S $175 DIFFERENCE. That's even assuming we actually want to go ahead with using this medication. Regardless, we are OUT the $200. This is not the first time that they have shipped a medication without first notifying us. Something they CLAIM they do not do. They are the worst pharmacy I have ever dealt with. We have problems with them multiple times every year.

Express Scripts Company Information