1.33/5
Based on 304 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

2690 Express Scripts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

My husband has now been out of one of his Parkinson's meds for over a week now. I paid $21 to have his RX shipped "overnight". FedEx lost the package. I called Express Scripts. I have to pay for another script then call back in 30 days if I don't received the first shipment to get a credit. They said they would overnight another one at no charge on 8/10/18. Now I go to check the status of the order and it says it will ship on 8/16/18. How is that overnight when you don't even ship it for six days?!?! Such a non-caring company to say they handle important meds that affect lives.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

My Doc pushed me to go for 90 day scripts for the three medications that I take daily, and against my better judgement I agreed. I had refills still at my local pharmacy for one of the meds. He sent the other directly to Express Scripts and gave me a paper script for a 90 day supply of the third (controlled substance). I got the first script from them in three days. I don’t think that the transfer is ever going to go through. The third I called customer service and got a physical address so that I could send to them overnight with delivery confirmation.

It took a day and a half, and two phone calls with requests to speak with supervisors before they even acknowledged receipt of the prescription. Since then I’ve made at least two calls a day, each time being told some variation of it’s been flagged as a rush and is being worked. My most recent call this evening I was actually told that it was in the “back end” and being packaged for shipment. She then told me that she was going to send a priority request to rush shipment and overnight it to me at no cost (I’ve now been out for over a week). That was four hours ago, and the website still says that my prescription request has been received and they are still working on estimating the ship date. I have a strong suspicion that I have been lied to yet again. I would absolutely NOT recommend this company to anyone. In fact, I plan on informing everyone I know about my experience.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

3rd time this year I have done without meds because of this company. They are so terrible to deal with. Stay away if you can. Most non caring company I have ever had to deal with. Starting withdrawals now after 2 days of not having it, and looks like going to be without for several days. I ordered a month ago, and again 10 days ago. So frustrated.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I give up! Express Scripts has done it again. The last time they sent me insulin pens without the needles, This time they sent me $87.00 worth of needles and they will not ship the insulin until I pay them for the needles. Oh, and I just received them today. Express Scripts is holding me over a fire. They could have split the order because the insulin is 87 dollars and the needles are 87 dollars. So what is the deal they could have sent 2 boxes of the needles and 2 boxes of insulin. I am not going to become not diabetic. I pay them for that. I have the needles and the pens and then they send the second part of the shipment and then I pay that. No this is also mandatory through my plan that I have to use them. I wonder if I don't eat will my sugar go up. Then after this screw up the online system is trying to sell me insulin supplies. I have a heart problem too and they do not care.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 10, 2018 I have had a prescription, for medication I take daily, filled for the last 7 or 8 years and for over a year at my local pharmacy. All of a sudden, without notice, my local pharmacy is being reimbursed a few dollars rather than the usual amount. They can't absorb that loss and won't be able to fill it if they aren't getting reimbursed. When I inquired with my insurance company, they said Express Script was responsible. I tried to call Express Scripts several times. Talked to a rep that told me my pharmacy had been reimbursed the correct amount. Not true. Got a "special number" from another rep that ended up taking me back to the

main phone menu. Between me and my pharmacy, we have called 7 or 8 times. We just get stonewalled. I emailed (24-72 hour turnaround for answer - that's crazy!) and am waiting on response.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

My doc sent them 2 prescriptions on 7/27 (not new - I get them every month). By 8/3 I called them as I had not received an email that they had received or were processing them. Spoke to a supervisor after getting the runaround from customer service. She said could take 10 days. Told her I would pay the $12 for 2 day shipping as I was going out of town on business for a week and had to ensure I had them before I left. On 8/7 (not 2 days later by my count) I received 1 script but not the one I REALLY needed. Called and spoke to another supervisor who after a bunch of nonsense told me the other had shipped that day and gave me a tracking number.

I checked the tracking number the next day and NOTHING! I called ES again and talked to another supervisor who gave me some BS story about it being in St. Louis and I needed to wait for the system to update. I asked why it hadn't been sent 2 day delivery like I requested and paid for and she had no answer. As of today, 8/10 per the tracking # it is still in St. Louis and hasn't moved (I am on the West Coast). I leave Monday AM for a week long business trip and so I'm screwed on that. Had to go back to my doc today to get a 2nd prescription which I will have to pay full price for. This company has made similar mistakes in the past that I won't even go into. They are horrible but I am forced to use them per Anthem BCBS plan. I hope they go out of business. If I could give minus 5 stars I would. BTW I am by nature a very patient person and never write reviews but people need to know what they are up against with this horribly inept company!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I loathe Express Scripts. They have denied multiple medications that my doctor says that I need because this company needs to make money and force me to use less expensive or generic medications. The "preferred" medication they want me to use is not the same medication-- it allegedly does the same thing. But my endocrinologist prescribed a medication that actually works for me. I was not aware that Express Scripts was staffed by physicians who know the best medications for me. Time to buy from Canada.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

When my company moved to Express Scripts at the beginning of the year, I called Express Scripts and was told by an Express Scripts representative that I would be able to continue to get my 30 day prescriptions from my chosen pharmacy with no change to my current copay amounts. I went to pick up my prescriptions today and was told that one prescription - which was $5 previously - would now be over $200. The exorbitant amount is due to a penalty fee because the prescription was for a 30 day supply from an "unapproved" pharmacy. This completely goes against what I was told by an Express Scripts customer service representative earlier this year.

I called Express Scripts customer service and tried to explain that I will probably not be taking this medication for a further 90 days - it would be a waste of medication and counter intuitive for me to receive a 90 day supply. Over and over again, the representative and his management told me that common sense does not matter. To receive my prescribed medication I must buy a 90 day supply. I am very frustrated with the lack of customer service regarding this issue. First, Express Scripts told me that I can continue to get my prescriptions in 30 day supplies from my chosen pharmacy with no change to my copay. Now, Express Scripts is telling me that if I want to get my prescriptions they must be in 90 day supplies from an approved pharmacy.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I keep getting notifications of how many days I have of a medication. I've already received a refill several weeks ago and still receive notice each day of how many days I have left. I can't find where to turn it off on the website. Which by the way is NOT user friendly and is difficult to get around in. I guess typical of government contract work. How do I turn this off?!!

Original review: July 30, 2018

Several months now I have had to mail in prescriptions due to the new federal government changes. The blame is mostly on USDA. Express Scripts has foreign ** answering service. I spent 2 hours on the phone, hung up on 3 time trying to get a stupivisor on the Phone to answer two questions. The problem needs to be fixed. USDA has a 30 day script only for narcotics. I am a legit have to have patient. I need to send in all three months of scripts at one time and Express Scripts needs to file them. Not me. This company CS has went to the sewer.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 28, 2018

I received an automated phone call from Express Scripts July 17, 2018 asking if I was Sarah. I replied yes and was told to return the call. I did so immediately. The lady that I spoke with told me that the call was to confirm my address. I did so. A week later, I check my mobile banking app and see that Express Scripts has charged me over $324 dollars. What? Of course I called right away. The gentleman that answered my call confirmed my Identification and then asked me what my son's name is. I told him I don’t have a son. (I don’t). This should have been my first clue... He tells me which medication the charge is for.

This is not a medication I need, it was a convenience. I asked him if it was policy to call customers when the cost is so high. He said it is, so I asked why I hadn’t received a call. He placed me on hold so he could speak with his supervisor. When he returned he stated that I HAD received a call and that I would be responsible for the charge. I asked to speak with the supervisor, and told him that I knew the calls are recorded (they tell you so) and that no one had said a word to me about an exorbitant charge. Basically, the supervisor says the same thing. So I ask her, what’s the name of the person I spoke with?

She admits it was an automated call. I ask, "How is that authorizing the charge?" I asked her to listen to the call wherein I confirmed my address. In total, I spent over half an hour on the phone with Express Scripts for them to agree to refund half of my money as a “courtesy” because I didn’t ask what the charges were. I called later that day and told them I never wanted anything shipped from them again. I would rather go to my local pharmacy. I might pay more in the long run but I know exactly who I’m dealing with.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 27, 2018

My doctor prescribed two 0.1 mg ** patches for me once every two days. A pretty standard or even low dosage for a transgender woman. I went to pick up my prescription, which was only available through CVS apparently under their plan or through their warehouse, which if you've read the reviews here, you're risking your life and health trusting their warehouse to send the right drugs. The pharmacist informs me, not the insurance company, that they need prior authorization because the prescription was written for too many patches for Express Scripts' internal policies.

Apparently, Express Scripts has policies in place for medical gatekeeping that target transgender women and kick in when anyone goes over the normal maximum dosage for a cisgender woman with menopause, which is one 0.1 mg patch every two days. They required prior authorization from my doctor and a questionnaire to make sure I wasn't faking being transgender or that my doctor was qualified to prescribe for transgender people. Neither of which is within their ability or their job description.

After getting the prior authorization, and paying out of pocket for my prescription in the meantime, I go back to CVS and they say Express Scripts won't pay the prescription until the 31st. Meaning, despite the prior authorization, questionnaire, and gatekeeping, they're still refusing to pay for ** patches above the level for cisgender menopausal women. Being on two every two days, they're only going to pay for half of them because they apparently don't think transgender people paying premiums should get the same coverage as cisgender people for the same amount of money.

If you have ANY other option for prescription coverage, go with that instead. You'll be paying bigots for shoddy coverage, dangerous warehouse medication not distributed by medical professionals, and you'll be waiting to find out if one of their policies is designed to screw you over for being a minority of some kind. You won't get what you pay for and you're risking your life and health if you use their warehouse.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 26, 2018

Express Scripts has a substandard system for prescription notifications. It is ALL or NOTHING. There is no option turn notifications off or on for individual prescriptions. I get notifications DAILY that I am out of a medication that I am NOT out of! My PCP prescribed a medication for a 30 day supply, (filled locally) to see how I responded to it. On my recheck, he prescribed another 30 day supply, (filled locally) and he sent in a 90 day mail order prescription to Express Scripts that was processed & received over a month ago. Now I am receiving 4 notifications AT THE SAME TIME, telling me I am out of the two 30 day supply prescriptions - one is over 60 days old, the other over 30 days old. Walgreens and CVS both have systems that permit setting notifications on individual prescriptions. Apparently Express Scripts isn’t smart enough to figure it out how to do that for their customers.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 25, 2018

I cannot not use the generic brand of my medication because it does not agree with my body. However, I am being forced by Express Scripts to use the generic because they are denying my doctor's prior authorizations. My doctor has requested a plan override and they keep denying his requests. Now they have shipped my medicine without approval and have tried to deduct from my account the cost of this medicine. I have spent 3.5 hours on the phone with Express Scripts this week alone and the matter is still not settled. This time does not include the 2.5 hours my husband spent on the phone with them 2 months ago discussing this same matter.

At that time, a supervisor from Express Scripts told my husband that my name-brand medication would be covered for the generic price when my doctor completed the prior authorization. So my doctor has contacted Express Scripts twice in the last 2 days and followed their instructions. The nurse told me to not get my hopes up because they have NEVER had a request for a plan override approved by Express Scripts! SINCE WHEN IS A PRESCRIPTION SERVICE ALLOWED TO OVERRIDE A DOCTOR?!? So now, I have had to pay to have a stop payment put on my account. Express Scripts is now telling me that I if I chose to dispute their ruling, I can file an appeal. If this were the first time we had had trouble with Express Scripts, I wouldn't be so upset. But there have been countless problems over the past 2 years with my husband's medications.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 23, 2018

To make a long story short, they said it takes 15 days to "process" the Doctor's fax extending my prescription. This is not acceptable. They told me it is better if he calls. I work in an environment where the physicians prefer to use a fax as it is a secure line, and it requires no "phone tree" waste of time getting to the "right person". No customer service at this place, really. You have to wait forever to get someone on the line, and then get fed a lot of BS about "processing time".

Original review: July 21, 2018

I have yet to have a good interaction with this company. My son has severe reflux with esophagitis (essentially his esophagus is eroding away) and has been on meds since he was 8 weeks old. When we switched to Express Scripts we had to obtain prior authorization to fill his medication since it was pricey, and I was assured when the paperwork came in I’d be reimbursed since my son could not go without his meds. I paid $330 out of pocket for just one month worth of meds. My doctor filled out all the necessary paperwork only to be denied and refused a reimbursement because the med needed to be mixed and refrigerated and could not be shipped... They didn’t know that before putting me through the whole process? So we switch over to a different med that came in powder packets and got authorization that my infant child could not swallow a pill or take a adult dose so this form/dosage was medically necessary.

Fast forward a year and for a unknown reason my meds that were filled online are still pending for over a week. I call and they have no answer as to why it’s taking so long but because we are going to run out of his medication I can fill it at one of the local participating pharmacy for a 90 day supply as listed on their website. All I had to do was get my local pharmacy to call and transfer the script. So I go through the whole process of finding a “participating pharmacy” that has the medication in stock only to get a call that Express Scripts denied my 90 day supply and stated I need prior auth for 30 day. A 30 day supply is $980!!! I call Express Scripts who tells me this is all correct after an hour of going in circles.

To utilize a local pharmacy I have to go through the auth process again and they will reimburse me (yeah right and who has $980 laying around). So I asked can Express Scripts fill it and expedite the process since I was basically lied to. I’m then informed they can’t fill it because the prescription has been transferred and can’t be made a home delivery prescription again. How is that possible!?! It’s the same drug, dose, form, route, and amount. Literally nothing has changed other than it was faxed to CVS. I was informed I would need to obtain another prior auth and prescription from my son's GI doctor before they can fill it. So I’m looking at weeks where my son will be out of meds, in pain and possibly doing irreversible damage to his esophagus. I cannot wait for him to hopefully be weaned off his meds so we never have to deal with this company again. I pity people who rely on this company to supply them drugs to survive and not be hospitalized.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 20, 2018

My husband and my daughter received letters from Express Scripts stating a Tricare overpayment has been made to them and he owes ES $315 and she owes $1157. The letter continues to say that prescriptions were received after their eligibility for Tricare benefits ended. Not true at all. Has anyone else received these letters?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 19, 2018

Express Scripts informed me today that the medicine which I have been taking for at least two years, is not available to be shipped to me. When I questioned them, they had no explanation. They said, "Wait for an unknown amount of time or see your doctor and get it locally." I’m a veteran who depends on Express Scripts to get medicine to me on time. I’m not sure why we need Express Scripts. They are a really bad company.

Original review: July 18, 2018

This is the company saga of consistent idiocrasy of the simple matter of required direct ordering through an e-script system from a Doctor's Office. This company's complete lack of figuring out a viable method of properly processing prescriptions, by a forced upon me Pharmacy, and in a timely manner for drugs that are necessary and required to maintain your health is completely devoid of a rational response. Plain and simple this company reaches a higher level of incompetency than any I have ever seen. They just cannot figure out how to properly and timely fill prescriptions. Sad when you are a pharmacy who can't figure out how to do your business.

This is more of a Three Ring Circus than a company. Despite giving them every opportunity to do so, there are no answers only consistent stupidity. Their phone people are pleasant, courteous and useless as they have no information that which could even approach that which would be helpful. They blame the insurance administrator, then you call them and they say it is Express-Scripts' problem not theirs. Then you call the insurance coverage company and they are of further no use, because they blame the Express-Scripts and around again we go. The reasons escape them and therefore they have none. Their multiple failures to properly fill prescriptions is causing further medical complications and mental pain and anguish. I have wasted hours of my time trying to get to a resolution in order to have them do what they are contracted to.

This company should be investigated and charged appropriately for their multiple failures and lying about their complex and useless processes designed to further fail the health care system we pay almost $2,000 per month for. Would never deal with them again and thank you NORTHWELL HEALTH for the poor choice and incompetent management through UNITED HEALTHCARE. Avoid them at all costs.

This is a Triple whammy of incompetence without recourse to the consumer. Pay big premiums, they slam you into Generics, (since they no longer cover the real medications you need. Everyone knows that Generic drugs have only to be 70% effective to be dispensed and have improper filtrations levels. WONDER if they will accept 70% of the monthly premiums in return and charge you as if you had no insurance for co-pays. Simply an indictment of the Health Care System allowed to run unchecked. Also BE ADVISED THEY DO NOT ACCEPT MANUFACTURERS' COUPONS, which would minimize your co-pays which I find outrageous, and which should be illegal.

Original review: July 17, 2018

So, having issues getting **. Medical necessity. Set up and got confirmation number and received 90 day supply. That alone took over two and a half months. Now the plan has removed **, trying to force the generic. Took me a week of calls to get that information. Express Scripts gives me new case# and is working on getting ** added back to formulary. I call to check up on things and they cancelled my case#, thought it was a duplicate. Have me call doctors office to get another PA going.

Express Scripts claim they never received word from doctor and doctor showed proof of contacting ES. Haven't been able to get of ES for two days to find out when my ** will be here. Mind you, there is a whole lot more to this issue, with the phone calls to corporate, the customer reps not having a same or similar answer for the problem, customer service hanging up on me because I requested a supervisor, more calls to corporate, and the list goes on. The only reason there is a star? Negative stars aren't an option.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I have just spend 40 minutes with no results. My doctor prescribed a medication to take one at bedtime. I could only get 15 at a local pharmacy. I was first told there were retail restrictions. I got my doctor to call it in to Express Scripts. They put it on hold. I called back and was told I needed a pre authorization. My doctor called that in. I called back and was told they had the pre authorization and that it was going to ship. In three days I received another email that it was on hold. I called back and after holding for most of 40 minutes now they say they do not have the pre authorization. I wish they would let the doctor practice medicine!! They just need to fill it!!!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 16, 2018

Been taking the same medication for 10+ years for migraines. The generic form does not work for me. Now they want the doctor to make a phone call getting prior authorization before prescribing medication. I don't see how this is saving money when now I'll just have to go to the emergency room for medication for my severe headaches. They deserve a minus instead of a one star.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 14, 2018

Express Scripts are the worst. Express Scripts sent me an e-mail advising me to contact them so that they can send out my prescription. I was in the hospital and in the process of moving to a new address. Because I did not call them on time they went ahead and sent the prescription mail order to the old address. Now they're telling me I'm responsible for the medicine that was sent to the old address. I never contacted them to send the medicine out to me. Their procedure sucks. I don't even know what happened to the medicine that they sent out. It's lost in the mail somewhere.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I have been with Express Scripts for years and am required to get "maintenance drugs" by mail order. I have asthma and have to take one medication twice a day. I have had many issues with Express Scripts through the years but it seems to be getting worse. I went online to order a refill. In 60 days the price of the drug went up about $30 dollars. I am now having to spend in excess of $300 per refill. I ordered the drug and got the text verification that my order was being processed. I went back online 3 days later because I wanted to see if the drug had shipped. The order was listed as "drug not available" and nothing else.

I called customer service (what a joke that title is) and spoke with someone. I was told that they sent an automated message to my doctor’s office saying the drug wasn't available and that my doctor should call in a script to a local pharmacy. I asked why I wasn't notified in some way that my drugs weren't coming and she said "you will be". I asked when, since it had already been 3 days since the powers that he knew that they wouldn't be sending me my script. She didn't have an answer for that.

I also asked also what sort of follow up they do since they have no way of knowing if the doctor got the message. I was told they had done what they were going to do and even when the drug is available, it won’t be automatically sent out. I will have to place an order again. I called the doctor’s office and they hadn't had any record of the phone call. I could have easily gone a week thinking the drugs were on the way, and run out. As it is, I have to pay more to get it filled at the pharmacy. I am inconvenienced, charged more, and had to do all the work because they dropped the ball. If I didn't get the refill in time and ran out, it could have become a serious situation for me. Asthma attacks are not fun!

Original review: July 12, 2018

I was forced into using Express Scripts by my insurance company. At 1st it wasn't any big deal. But as time went on they just became a harassing bunch of crooks. They call me about every six months to deny me and my wife our prescriptions because they say we owe them money normally under $3.00. We have to audit our account and fax them the documentation that we are not behind in payments and then fax it to them. They tell us we can avoid this interruption if we allow them access to our bank account for automatic payment. I tell that will never happen! I feel this is extortion and that they are preying on sick old people. Does anyone know if there is a class action lawsuit out there for this? I would like to join in on the suit. We have been waiting for my wife's heart medicine now for 45 days... This is crazy!!!

Original review: July 12, 2018

Express Scripts personnel are practicing medicine without a license. When a pharmacist or some non-medical glorified clerk decides you do not need your medicine prescribed by a licensed medical professional, they are practicing medicine without a license and should be open to medical malpractice lawsuits. It is beyond belief that I, with a heart disease, liver disease and now lung and gastric complications, have a pharmacist and clerks decide I need different medications to breathe and eat without discomfort. If I do not get these meds, my ADLs are complicated. Who are these people to decide my level of health? I am not being prescribed pain meds or any other medication that is controlled. I am being prescribed medicine to keep me out of the heart cath lab and allow me to lead as normal a life as possible.

These people are not medical providers and are making decisions on MY health and the health of all our active and retired military personnel and their families. Trump says he is all about providing quality care for our military personnel. Maybe he needs to have Tricare replace Express Scripts with a company that works within the boundaries of their capabilities and education and NOT making medical decisions when they are not physicians!

Original review: July 12, 2018

I just switched to Express Scripts for my supplemental prescription insurance when I started on Medicare. The 1st person I talked to was actually sleeping during the call! I woke him up by saying "Are you there?" He was not following the call at all so I finally told him I was hanging up because it was so absurd. I ordered one prescription that is very necessary for my Parkinson's Disease on 7/5/18, that was a week ago and requested preferred 2-day shipping. As of today, the RX hasn't even been filled or mailed - I am currently on hold (42 minutes on the phone) and they say they are working on getting the Rx filled for me but I won't get it for at least 5 days - I guess 2-day shipping in Express Scripts means at least 5 days? I definitely would not chose this company going forward...

Original review: July 10, 2018

Saw my orthopedic surgeon July 5, 2018 for muscle pain issues after 2 total hip replacements. A gel prescription was ordered on that day. Prior Authorization was required and the doctor's office complied. A follow up call from dr's. office was made to me to confirm process was done. I am still waiting as of July 10, 2018. Never in all my years have I had such poor service. Joke is Express Scripts is trying to say it's my dr. office. No it's not. Poor poor poor service to customers.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I have been with Express Scripts since the beginning of 2018 and have few, if any, positive comments about the company. The only thing they seem to be able to get right is a refill I do myself, online! My current issue is... today for the second time I have had to tell Express Script about my change of physicians, and that any prescription refill requests, needs to go to this new physician. I have COPD and am on 3 different inhalers per day. Without these I cannot breathe, so when Express Scripts does not request a prescription refill from the correct physician, it delays my getting the medicine I need! I told the customer service rep today that even though I save a lot of money by going through Express Scripts for my medicine, IT'S NOT WORTH THE STRESS!

Original review: July 10, 2018

Just got a phone call (automated of course) from Express Scripts saying they denied my prior authorization. It does not matter that they authorized the same prescription the first part of the year. It is a simple drug that is on their formulary and yet they denied it. I had shoulder surgery the last part of 2017 and my shoulder is still stiff and I still have a small tear in my shoulder. The drug is simply the generic for ** to keep my shoulder moving. I have suffered with my shoulder for 2 months because they refuse to fill it. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. I will be changing ASAP. My husband has Humana for Medicare Prescription and has had to have the same drug and not had a problem with Humana.

Express Scripts Company Information

www.express-scripts.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business