3.9/5 (1306 ratings)

About Express Scripts

Express Scripts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

Original review: May 6, 2021

I was a bit dubious when our insurance required us to use Express Scripts for maintenance medication, but after a year of use I'm favorably impressed. Getting them (3 pills) from the local chain pharmacy was rarely without some sort of problem -- in a year of Express Scripts, they transferred my prescriptions over without hassle, have contacted the doctor for my auto-refills in plenty of time, and when I switched doctors, that was also handled seamlessly -- all I had to do was check my account to see that they'd received the new prescriptions. Even with the pandemic, I've had my refills in plenty of time, and they give me the option of being invoiced and making payment after delivery, which I prefer rather than having them charge my credit card.

Thank you for your positive feedback. We are always here to help. Thank you ^SJ

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

The prices are better from Express Scripts but you would have to pay extra to have a chip quicker so it comes slow shipping for free.

Get buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I've spoken to the Pharmacist and reviewed my prescriptions to ensure that they were not interacting with each other. Each time the Pharmacist was very helpful.

Original review: July 13, 2021

Very difficult to do business with. Not customer friendly. I recently switched to Alliance Rx and they have been wonderful. They are very slow to fill certain orders and they have on two occasions caused me to be out of my medicine due to their slow delivery and processing. They are fine with certain medicines, but no with all of them.

Express Scripts response

My name is Shanta and we are sorry that you had a negative experience. We would like to make sure your issue is resolved and does not occur in the future. We would like to discuss your situation further please reply to this message with your telephone number, and or email us at ExpressRxHelp@express-scripts.com. Thank you

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 10, 2021

I have been on birth control for DECADES. I have had MANY insurance companies over the years and have used many different pharmacies and I've never had one issue EVER. Two years ago our state insurance switched to an insurance company that requires us to use Express Scripts exclusively. Since that time they illegally went to my doctor to get him to rewrite my prescription to be completely generic with no name so they could send me whatever they want. That doctor did not know that I went through months and months of issues with another doctor to find the medication that worked for me. I was livid. They not only did this without any discussion with me but then they sent the wrong medication and I had to fight them to send the right medication. These come in 3 month packs.

2 cycles later I get a call that they will no longer provide my medication because it is discontinued - the pharmacist insists that the medication ** has been discontinued and is no longer being produced. Having ZERO options I was forced to change my medication. Much research and I discover that this is not true and the medication WAS NOT DISCONTINUED - I CAN GET IT FROM ANY PHARMACY AS LONG AS IT ISN'T THE CRIMINALS AT EXPRESS SCRIPTS. Cut to 2 more cycles later I get a phone call that they must speak with me but can't say why. I call back and after being on hold 17 minutes and no one ever answering I hang up. I go to their website and guess what? MY MEDICATION NAME IS DIFFERENT!!! THEY WANT TO CHANGE MY MEDICATION AGAIN!!!! BUT I CAN'T GET A PERSON ON THE PHONE.

I submit an email and I get a response telling me they can't discuss anything in email and I will need to talk to a pharmacist and they give me another number. I call that number and they said my expected wait time is 26 minutes, but I can put my phone number in and wait and hopefully someone will call me back. So - I am waiting - but I guarantee you that these CRIMINALS intend to change my medication AGAIN. MIND YOU ** is a already a generic. So now they switched me to Melodetta that is also a generic and now found a cheaper generic they intend to switch me to.

So they are messing with my medication - my hormones, my doctor's prescription - wasting my time every few months having to fight them so they can save pennies on my medication. I can get my medication as prescribed if my insurance allowed me to get my medication from ANY OTHER PHARMACY but Express Scripts is not in the business of providing the medication prescribed - they are in the business of cutting as many corners as possible to reduce their bottom line by pennies for every single person so that they can give a fat check to their CEO at the end of every year. They should be prosecuted and I intend to complain to every single place I can (my company, Better Business Bureau, here, and anywhere else I can find) to report their egregious and disgusting business practices.

Express Scripts response

Original review: June 23, 2021

I received a call from Accredo representative Ashley regarding my **. Apparently per Representative Ashley, the co-pay assistance that has been on file since January stopped paying for the Generic back in March. They now only pay for Brand. Now the ** that has been filled since March, I now owe a bill of $748.30 and I have to find co-pay assistance that will back pay to cover those charges. A few questions I have, why did the generic continue to be filled once the generic start rejecting back in March? Secondly, why did it take almost 4 months until I was notified? Thirdly, why was the brand med not filled instead once it was discovered that brand was preferred? Both of my scripts are written for the generic name but the ** is filled as brand, so if the claim rejects as brand name preferred, could the brand ** not be filled?

I called Accredo back and spoke with 3 representatives and was placed on hold more times than I can count, all to no avail. Not 1 representative was able to answer any of my questions. I never can get a person that is willing to assist and resolve any issues. Furthermore there should not have to be so many issues repeatedly regarding life-saving meds. On top of that, now I am stuck having to struggle to find an extra $750.00 due to inattention & negligence.

Original review: June 17, 2021

I do prior authorizations for a doctor's office for MS medications. At least every other one is rejected with formulary suggestions for cheaper medications. When a patient is established on a medication for years, they do not wish to change based on saving money for the insurance company or the pharmacy. Generics are pushed and even if the medication requested is generic, a cheaper one is suggested over the requested. This ends up being letters to prove why the original request should be honored. It is tedious and time consuming. This week 3 patients have had to change their medication to accommodate the pharmacy or insurance-the gap without medication can precipitate exacerbations and anxiety for the patients. I am not sure how they are able to refuse what the physician has ordered and make us jump through hoops to get something the patient has been established with. They need to accommodate exceptions.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I am writing a sad story to reveal the darkness of the Express Scripts. I am a patient with critical pre-condition. Ordered refill of 5 medications. Express Scripts shipped the medication using DHL ( A German Carrier) - Imagine Using A European Postal Service on The US Soil! I called them that I have not received my vital medications, a so called pharmacist told that, "Call DHL, we can not do anything. It might take 1+ week to send the replacement." I told express scripts pharmacist that these are vital medication and I am travelling in two days, the unhuman, ruthless, black heart pharmacist told me "Call DHL". Really calling German Company on the US soil???

I asked for supervisor, She asked few questions and passed me to another person. She said, "It takes 30+ days for you to receive your medication." I said, "OK, please reimburse my money." She diverted me to another person. I told her that I am a pre-condition patient, no sympathy from her either. Finally, She said, "I will reimburse you!" In total, I was on the call for 90 minutes. Imagine, I could have died If I had no money to purchase my medications from other pharmacies! Waited two weeks and I called and asked for a supervisor. He told me that, "I will ask billing department to cut you a check and send it to you." I asked him, "Shall I call you back." He said no!

Nothing in two weeks! I called back and talked to a lady, She said, "We did cut you a check and you will receive it in two weeks, Call us if you did not receive it by June 13th." I called again and spoke with another lady. She told, there is no check???? I asked to speak with supervisor! I have spoken with a gentleman, and story goes on... Please for the sake of lord, for the love of god, be careful if you have critical medication. Express Scripts cares NOTHING about your well being, No sympathy even if you die because of not receiving your medication. Imagine, they do not even use US carrier for their medication. They prefer give the profits to foreigner not our US citizens.

Original review: June 11, 2021

They've been billing me for 6 months without my knowledge after I thought I closed my account with them. Then out of the blue they slap me with a bill for $130. The customer service was dismal. Every time I speak with them I get a different answer and lies. It's mindboggling. Even tho they told me I am no longer with them and I paid their nonsense charges I still feel like they will come after me. Express Scripts is more like a dirty shakedown than a legitimate company. Good Riddance...

Original review: June 8, 2021

I have been using mail order pharmacies for years. For some reason, Express Scripts has some rule about maximum amount that can be charged to a credit card... What they do is give you a red exclamation point and say "Payment Issue," and "Sorry you cannot complete this action at this time, please Contact Us." They provide zero information online, then make you wait on hold for (as of right now all told, 35 minutes), only to get you to say "OK" to charge your credit card the amount for a prescription. My health plan uses an HSA with a deductible, so there is always a charge of some kind until about August, after which everything is covered. This whole payment issue problem is major waste of my time every 3 months and they provide zero details on why they can't allow you to authorize online the same way I pay with my HSA credit card. What a waste of time and money. Makes you wonder why people buy black market drugs.

Express Scripts response

Original review: May 29, 2021

Express Scripts has always been excellent with routine pills etc. ** is a different matter. I ordered a normal re-supply of 5 vials of ** recently. The ** is packed in ice and will stay cool for 72 hours. It was shipped overnight. Four days later I received it. I had to throw it out. The pharmacy gladly re-shipped. It did not arrive overnight. It will arrive Tuesday after Memorial Day because standard overnight is not delivered other than business days. I call back and am told to call back the following Tuesday. I am now out of ** and I have no ** even ordered. I am told by the pharmacist to go to a doctor and get a prescription for some **?? The funniest part is I was told to lodge a complaint with FEDEX, not. Better count the days your cold items have been packed during shipment. According to the pharmacist, it is packed for 72 hours - just in case.

Express Scripts response

Original review: May 28, 2021

I have been with my employer for 10 years and for the first time opted to buy into the Prescription coverage and for the first time, in my working life have been denied my prescriptions which are covered on the list of covered drugs, but somehow Express Scripts has decided they will not cover. I don't what I am paying insurance for, and I cannot wait to drop this company. This is big Pharma at its best/worst. Worse yet they even allowed me to start my own appeal - what are you basing these decisions on? How does a company deny my own doctors pre-authorization for my care????

My doctor has tried twice, with two different medications and their wait times are so long when you call customer service she had to give up on her fourth attempt. My alternative is paying out of pocket for a medication I need. Again, what am I paying for... I would hate to be covered under express scripts which a time sensitive life threatening disease. Stay away from having to use them if you can.

Express Scripts response

Original review: May 26, 2021

On April 30, 2021, I was on my last day for my current insurance. I would be switching the next day and I had some money left on a Health Spending Account that would be discontinued the next day. I set up all my prescriptions and called Express Scripts and paid the total amount. I later double checked by calling again and was reassured everything was paid in full. I got an email today (May 26) saying I owed $37.00 and some change. I have a receipt on my email showing that this bill was paid from April 30. They said the card did not run through properly. I must pay from my pocket now. Why did they say the bill was paid in full on April 30? I was on the phone 2 hours but to no avail. I had to foot the bill instead of using the Health Spending Account. This incident was handled through deception and manipulation. Thank God I have another mail order pharmacy. If you are intelligent, you will find another one too.

Express Scripts response

You are correct. Thank You.

Express Scripts Company Information