1.93/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 20, 2017

2496 Express Scripts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I wish there was a possibility of giving a zero as a rating this company is worse than anything I've ever dealt with. I am away on vacation and realize that I forgot to pack one medication. I called 5 times on Sunday and while I was able to hear the background music in the instructions once a representative actually answered the phone they could never hear me and they would hang up. The problem was clearly on their end. I contacted another number in hopes of getting my emergency refill taking care of only to spend 20 minutes on the phone and having the representative say there was nothing he could do for me. I'm really not even sure why there was nothing he could do for me. Worst customer service ever today I called my doctor and had a direct order put into a local pharmacy.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I have used Express Scripts pharmacy and until I just retired, I did not have many issues with them except when they updated their website. Then all my prescriptions and auto refills were lost. I just retired and now I need a PAL for a prescription that I have had no problems with the dosage, in the past many years. I was denied the regular amount I usually take and was OKed for a smaller amount which would have sent me into withdrawal. My doctor filed the PAL with them and I was OKed for a year. How can they change my dosage without the doctor's approval. They are not my doctor!! I thought about calling someone to see about a discrimination suit against them. All I did was retire. I am still disabled with the same problem. It didn't go away when I retired.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

With my new Blue Cross plan, my doctor placed an order for the anti-seizure med **, which I've been taking for 7 years, on Express Scripts. In your preferences on the website, you're allowed to state that Express Scripts must have your permission to charge you over a certain amount. I put my preference at $150, so if my meds were going to be more than that, I HAD to be notified and authorize that they could go ahead and charge me that. Well with Express Scripts, they don't tell you how much you're getting charged until they ship your medication. It was shipped 11/16, and I almost puked when I saw that they charged me $3,800. I immediately called to say I did not authorize a payment that large, and I wanted to know WHY it was so unbelievably much, when previously I paid $150 for a 3 month supply. The lady told me it was a question for the billing department, and that they would call me. They never did.

The next morning when I saw that my bank account was deep in the red because of the charge, I called again and asked to speak to the supervisor. I was in tears and told him I did NOT authorize any payment over $150, and I didn't know what to do because I was almost out of meds and could never afford the meds. He said since I put in my checking account info and not a credit card, they could take the money out without my permission even though I did put a $150 limit on what they could charge me. How does that make sense? It doesn't. That's definitely not clear or stated on their site (that I see). I said I needed a refund immediately, and I guess I'd have to send the medication back. He said that takes a few days because they have to wait to get the shipment back, then send me a check IN THE MAIL. And the guy said they'll have to destroy $3,800 worth of meds, which makes me ill, because I couldn't keep them.

I am still waiting on a call from the billing department and whoever is responsible for giving me a refund. Thankfully, my bank stopped the payment and refunded me my money since it was an unauthorized payment. This company does not make it clear what you will be paying, and they flat out break policies for charging when you've set specific preferences NOT to. $3,800 is not chump change. This isn't right, and to take that much money from me is a crime. Their employees don't care at all and make it no priority to right their wrongs. I recommend Express Scripts to nobody, and I'll be getting my prescriptions from my former pharmacy at CVS (who I now feel bad for ever leaving). I can't delete my bank info from my account, and the autopay button is locked, not allowing me to turn it off. If there's a way to change that, I haven't been able to find it.

This site is a sham and I'm sorry I ever used it. I've seen Express Scripts representatives reply to their billions of negative reviews with non-specific, apathetic "We're sorry about your experience" responses, asking the person to send their DOB and name so they can solve it. I don't believe that for a second. They need to go out of business.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

After I met my insurance deductible they increased my co-pay. When I asked why they said it was due to the deductible not being met and I would have the higher co-pay for at least year even though only 6 months left in this year. I asked that they never ship anything, the next month they sent a med that I did not want. They said that they are allowed to do what they want by law. I ask that they close my account and they tried to ship another order. I called placed it on hold, they shipped it, I was refunded the charge but they get to keep insurance money even though I did not get the meds. That way I cannot get it locally, when the pharmacy called to get them to release the Anthem claim they said I was only permitted to get all meds mail-order. Funny since I closed my account with them.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I have begun using Express Scripts mail order due to being mandated by my insurance, interestingly, the mandate is only for one prescription that has a copay of $300. I received a call from an elderly lady asking if I was aware about my mandate and would like to sign up. Of course, I agreed and she started gathering my information, address, as well as putting a card on file. She ran the script and it was $300 which I was aware but asked her to apply a discount card that took $100 off (Giant gladly did that for me before).

The lady said Express Scripts does not accept discount cards at this time and told me my copay would be $900 for 3 months. I said I do not want 3 months and can only afford 30 days supply which the lady said was not possible to get because they mandate 90 day supply. She assured me to put a card on file which can be used for automatic billing for my medication to pay out 90 days. Ridiculous!!! I said "Stop the order and put prescription on hold. I have to think about it and possibly see if I can opt out of mail order" which she said she will do. In a month I received a 30 days supply of my med and my card gets charged $300. Gladly, I record all of my conversations on my phone.

So I called and spoke to a supervisor, who said they will investigate and investigator will reach out to me. The investigator called me to say I never canceled the order and was responsible for the payment, I was shocked and said I have a recording where I clearly ask to cancel the order and put the prescription on hold until further notice. She was very rude and unprofessional, blaming me for miscommunications and hung up the phone on me. Finally I called Anthem and they called the lady and I send the script back and I got my money back.

Few months went by and now I need my medication. I called them and ask them to send it, the gentlemen says he cant send it because it's blocked. Ughh! I explain the situation that med is on hold and you guys have sent it to me before etc... He says he is sending it and expediting it because of my pains as well as charges $300. I called on Thursday and it's Thursday of next week and still do not have my med.

I have been stuck overmedicating myself with over the counter medications from pain because Express Scripts mail order cannot fulfill their customers' needs. Why are they still in business? I tried to get information from them about their grievance process and they said only Medicare patients have it. How are we different from Medicare patients, should we not be treated with the same respect as Medicare patients? I swear I will find a way to opt out of this shameful service!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Absolute garbage service at best. Have been trying to get a pre-authorization for medication for weeks now and had numerous times my doctor has called and faxed over the paperwork with it being denied every time. Very aggravating process and filing a complaint with the BBB. DON'T USE. WOULDN'T RECOMMEND TO MY WORST ENEMY.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Why insurance companies outsource prescriptions to this company I will never know. Their customer service is horrendous. And that this company has the nerve to tell doctors they have to get prior approval from THEM to prescribe drugs is rich. My doctor called a script over to my pharmacy, so that I could have meds on hand just in case my symptoms flared up in the next couple of months. Not realizing Blue Cross/Blue Shield had outsourced their prescription drug service to this company, I tried to use my insurance card to cover my meds. That didn't work, and the BC/BS customer service agent gave me the phone number to Express Scripts. So I called them, and had the most frustrating conversation.

All I wanted was my account information so I could give it to the pharmacy. The woman wouldn't do that; rather, she wanted to know what kind of prescription I was getting. Why does that matter? Wouldn't she want to know if my pharmacy is in their network -- it is, by the way -- but no, she wasn't focused on that. So I gave her what she wanted. The woman could barely understand me, I had to spell the name of the drug three full times, very slowly before she got it. THEN she told me that the doctor needed to get authorization from them to write the script. WTH?? Since when does a DOCTOR need to check with a crappy company to make sure the script is okay?? I told her that was BS, and it is. So, I walked out of there without my meds. Thanks for making this an enormously frustrating experience. Good thing my meds aren't life or death.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I Look online for a price of a medication said $187.50 for 90 days. When they shipped they only shipped 24 pills, and still charged me the full price of 187.50. Said that is their policy. They are the biggest scammers I ever seen. Nobody knows what they are doing there.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Explain how you're not stealing from your customers because I don't understand it... If I pay cash, the price is lower than if I use insurance on several of my prescriptions. Express Scripts knows this and forces me to use insurance because it's available. How is this not illegal? If the prescription doesn't cost that much for cash users then you're not only stealing from me (charging me more because I have insurance) but you're also taking advantage of the insurance company (that should be reducing my cost in the first place). You're totally double dipping and taking advantage of me. I can only assume that you and the insurance company must be in it together.

To add insult to injury, if I do take the prescription to a local pharmacy, you're the ones that gets to authorize the final price. You sent me letters saying that I could refill at Kroger but it is better to fill with you, but my cost will go up if I don't inform you that I want to keep using Kroger (if it doesn't matter, then why are you forcing me to reply with an answer or charging me more)? It's like you overcharge every customer for every prescription at any opportunity.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Express Scripts is the most unreliable service. I’ve had the same prescription for 5 years and they still can’t get it right. Multiple times I have not taken my medication on time due to them not sending it out. Also sometimes they change my medication to a different generic without notifying me of the change. I called 2 weeks ago to have them send a refill. Then when I didn’t receive it, but I ran out of the pills I had, I called and they said they would overnight it to me for $21.

Eventually they agreed to overnight it for free and said "you’ll get it tomorrow morning" but that never happened. When I called again the next day to ask where it was they said that overnighting a medication isn’t even possible because it takes a day or 2 to process before the overnight shipping so they had no idea why someone would tell me that. This never should have been an issue because it should’ve been sent out 2 weeks ago when I called the first time. Also now I still don’t have my meds. I only use Express Scripts because I have to for insurance but if I had a choice I would NOT use!!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Medical Mutual uses Express Scripts for prescription coverage. Getting close to my deductible, they decided to raise my copay to $1100 for one month's prescription. Therefore, I will not have ** anymore. Can't afford. Tried to appeal, put on eternal hold.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

This company is the most frustrating incompetent company to work with. I got a compounded medication that was not approved. I was told to buy it and file an appeal which I did. The appeal was approved since this was a medication with no alternative that would work for me. I have been trying for 6 months to get it approved talking to customer service reps that are completely incompetent and do not understand anything about the drugs or reimbursement. They are asking me for information that pharmacies do not provide and now want the appeal done again because they don't know what else to do. I am now filing a complaint with BBB to get this resolved. Companies like this should be investigated and I would guess they are trying to save money and hoping that patients will give up.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

New customer - can't get scripts filled - Have to get pre authorization for drugs that I need and the Dr has sent two different pa's, now has to appeal. Why does someone else have any authority over a doctors prescription? Sick sick sick of these idiots. If there are so many complaints, why are they still dictating over my life?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Repeated attempts to fill the same prescription sent electronically from physician's office. First they wanted information on interactions, then they wanted to "make sure there are no typos" in the prescription, then back to wanted information on interactions again. Meanwhile, they "voided" the prescription due to time elapsed! Each time the physician has responded to their request but Express Scripts claims to have no record of the contact. Needing the medication, I have had to resort to a retail pharmacy, at significant personal expense, as Express Scripts finds another reason to not fill the medication. It is by far the worse health care benefit I have encountered as they increase profits by denying bonafide prescriptions.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I have a sinus infection that has not cleared up after three rounds of oral steroids. Because of this my doctor wanted to prescribe an anti-biotic nasal spray that needs to be compounded as it is not available off the shelf. Much to my surprise the pharmacy called me back and said it was not covered by insurance. When I tried to delve deeper into this, and called Express Scripts, I was told my policy does not cover any compounded medicines, period. Nowhere in my policy does it say this. I was bounced back and forth between various phone banks for close to 3.5 hour today to no avail. Lie after lie, after lie, deflection deflection after deflection. Who in the hell do they think they are to declare what is medically necessary?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Yesterday I received a generic medication from Express Scripts which was strange since I cannot use a generic in this certain medicine, which I've taken for 20 years and my doctor only prescribes brand for me. I called my doctor's office and was told that ES called them 2 weeks ago and stated that I had called to request a change from brand to generic in order to save money. This is a bold faced lie. I never did this. And my dr was confused knowing I cannot tolerate a generic but complied thinking I had requested this change.

I called ES to ask about why this happened and the guy responded that because of my insurance policy they can call drs to tell them the cost saving between generic and brand. I laughed and asked him if he seriously thought my dr and I don't know that brand drugs cost more than generic. I told him my concern was that someone from their company lied to my dr about this request and he said, "Well, we need to have a conference call on Monday" between me, drs office and ES. I said, "Great, but I'm filing an official complaint." What would you do? This is outrageous and bizarre to me.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I have had several problems with Express Scripts and Medco. One complaint is an increase of one of my prescriptions, from $40 per 3 months, to $40 per month. I may have to change the dosage to reduce the price. We'll see what the doctor recommends.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I use their app a lot. I will get status messages a drug is being processed. The next day the drug is canceled and a new message says they are reaching out to my doctor for a new prescription. I also waited 2 weeks for a drug being processed then canceled then processing then canceled. The drug wasn't covered by my insurance and had to get a substitute. The substitute had the same problem. I called and the rep said it was being shipped tomorrow. I call back and the rep said it will be shipped in a week and a half. I request a supervisor and am told it is not approved and I must find a substitute. I am switching all my prescriptions to my local pharmacy.

UPDATE ON 11/11/2017: This is a followup to my original post that my drugs are being processed and then am told they aren't covered by my insurance. First, there is no resolution in progress. Second, Sarah contacted me and asked for my phone number but no one called. They did email me and evaded my complaint of being told my meds are processing and am then told they aren't covered, for 3 weeks are kept in limbo. As proof they don't have a clue, here is an excerpt from their email. "** 30 doses - 220 mcg was sent on 10/22 but voided because the plan doesn't cover." So a drug was voided after it was sent out. How did they do that? This company is incompetent and inefficient, dangerous and scary considering the business they are in. Thank you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

These people are ridiculous, they started asking for authorizations for a couple of my prescriptions and have screwed up my health care in the process. My doctor can't get them to OK the doses nor the quantity I need. I have been on these same medications for 10 years and out of the blue they are going to dictate what I should and should not take. They are order fillers not doctors!!! They need to be out of business... Needless to say they're fired. Was a client for 2 years.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Insurance company use Express Scripts to refill my prescription specially for 90 days supply which was OK with me if I get my medication on time. It turns out to that I have to contact them every time I need to refill (no automatic refill) which I did. Some of my medication is a matter of life and death and had to be delivered on time but those guy don't take it seriously at all.

I call to refill and got disconnected from their side before order was totally processed according to them. I called again and they could not process because the previous operator left the process opened, she neither finished nor let someone else does. Then they report to my insurance company that the prescription has been filled and did not ship because it was not processed, so they did not send nor let me get my medication somewhere else because it should filled.

I lost many days without my life or death medication and I had to buy some pills from other pharmacy until Express Scripts get their act together or face transplantation rejection. Waiting for those guys to send my medication. My advice to everyone. Get your medication locally and don't use those guys because they don't care if you live or die. Your local pharmacy will lend you some bills if you have an issue with coverage until the issue is resolved, but this mail order company does not care if you really need your medication on time or not. In short, they are very bad and not worthy of your business.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

My wife was hospitalized while we were vacationing in Mexico. We had a very detailed bill from the hospital that I submitted to my health insurance company. They very quickly reimbursed me for the expenses, except for the ones related to prescriptions. They said I would have to go through Express Scripts to recover those. Very understandable.They highlighted these and totaled them up so I clearly knew what to submit to Express Scripts. I proceeded to mail all the hospital bills and explanation from my health insurance on the prescriptions.

A few weeks go by and my mailbox is crammed full with 7 large envelopes all from Express Scripts. I opened them all and it totaled more than 200 pages of rejections for each item on the hospital bills. Every paper says the same thing. I need a national billing code for each one. How do I get a national billing code from Mexico? Furthermore when I call them they say I have to file an appeal. They just have no intention of paying. They are just making things as difficult as possible. I have no further information than what I gave them, if it was fine for the health insurance company why do they have a problem owning up to their portion. Terrible company, terrible customer service. I can't even speak to someone in claims. All that they give me is the same thing the 200 pages said.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Logging into my account to order or pay is a nightmare, I'd rather spend 3x more and get my meds at Walgreens. On the rare occasions I finally get into your site, I save login info on my laptop plus write username and PW in hard copy. Yet every time I input what I've saved to access my account, you claim invalid entry. So back to square one. You claim again and again you will email me a temp access code which never arrives. You must use the cheapest vendor and bid out monthly since the manufacturers of my meds keep changing. Pretty sure that takes its toll on efficacy.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Express Scripts is an online pharmacy. They try to be the Amazon of a pharmacy. Amazon is conquering the market as it is super convenient. However when you add the need for a prescription the business model breaks down! You have to send them the prescription, they then send you the antibiotic or whatever medication. If there is any error, they will send the prescription back to you and you need to send it back to them! It becomes an absurd nightmare, not a service. Going into a pharmacy is order of magnitude more functional easy and workable. I HATE having no option and being confined by Blue Cross Blue Shield to using this absurd dysfunctional concept of online pharmacy! It should be illegal. I do understand how on paper the cost savings of not having a brick and mortar location seem attractive to the corporation. However this business model when a prescription is required DOES NOT WORK!!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Because of the health care choice of my husband's employer, we have had to deal with Express Scripts for many years. I have had recent communication problems with Express Scripts in getting ** (name brand-seizure medication). My local pharmacy can fill the prescription just fine as written. I have problems with the generic. By using ES, I have had one call from them and then sent the wrong medication (generic), then called and spoke with the on duty pharmacist and he tells me when it will be shipped (last week) and it was shipped yesterday. If this was a prescription for something minor, I wouldn't mind, but I don't want to have a seizure due to their negligence. I believe I gave them plenty of time to resolve the problem-almost a month has gone by. Hopefully the prescription will arrive today or tomorrow.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

My daughter had tried many epilepsy medications before finding one that worked without side effects. She switched to ** and did so well. No seizures for two years. I changed jobs and then I had to deal with Express Scripts. Her ** went from $50.00 to $360.00. We had to put her on something they approved and she has had headaches and vomiting Ever since. I asked the Express Scripts person if she actually has another seizure if we could swap back and she says maybe. They really care. :(

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

This is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with. I believe it is in their business model to deny every prescription and continue to run you around until you just give up trying. They have outright lied when I was told they were waiting on my cancer doctor to respond to their requests and should only be a few business days. The small cancer center (very professional and organized) had no record of ever being contacted. This scenario keeps repeating and my frustration grows. I was told that my prescriptions must be pre-approved because this SAVES ME money, but my doctor charges an additional $20 if a valid prescription must be revalidated. I have no choice and must use Express Scripts, but if anyone has a choice of another provider, please use it.

Resolution response: Oct. 17, 2017

After a few more phone calls and about an hour on hold, the medication was eventually sent out. In the mean time I had to pay out of pocket for another pharmacy to fill the Rx. The issue has been resolved at this time.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

It is a requirement of our insurance to first go through Express Scripts for prescriptions. I have placed several orders that I have never received. After calling customer service and stating they will express the prescriptions out, I received nothing. Called customer service again about 5 days later and they have no record of the previous call. This is prescription medicine that I cannot fill at a local drug store now because insurance is showing that express scripts already filled the prescription. I have had to go several days without medicine that is severely needed.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I have been trying to get my pain meds for over a month. I know there are new regulations regarding certain medication which is why I started the process early so when I was out there would not be any time without them. I only take I pill at night and I have been without my pain meds for almost two weeks. Every single time I call them up and get another liar on the phone that just tells me what I want to hear to get me off the phone. They lie and tell me that it is being over-nighted free of charge and then it doesn't show up. When I call they tell me they need prior authorization which they received over a month ago. It's the same runaround every single time I call. I refuse to call them again just to be lied to. These people don't care about their clients. I will start looking for another option.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Express RX messed up a refill. They should of refilled a three month supply. They did a one month supply. Their cost per bottle is less than $18. Normal Rx is $49 for three. They charged $49 for one. They made a profit of $21 extra. I used them due to insurance requirement. Do not use unless you absolutely have to. Bad service.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

This company is a literal death sentence. They will do anything to protect their profit margin instead of offer the correct medications your doctor recommends. Even a basic z-pack wouldn't be covered since they deem it "not meeting the criteria of a medical necessity". So you go to your doctor whom you trust, then find out that even though you pay for insurance and prescription coverage, the insurance company has a right to deny your script because they disagree with your doctor. What has happened to us? This is so frustrating.

Express Scripts expert review by Jonathan Trout

Express Scripts is the largest pharmacy benefit management organization in the United States. Acting as the middleman between drug makers and employers, it provides services such as home delivery, specialty pharmacy management and prescription benefits for self-insured companies. Express Scripts also publishes an annual Drug Trend Report that details prescription drug costs and utilization.

• Online account: Express Script members can create an online account to manage their prescriptions. Members can schedule refills, review coverage and pricing information, check an order's status and find detailed drug information. Feature availability depends on each individual plan.

• Home delivery: Home delivery through Express Scripts allows people who take regularly scheduled, ongoing prescription medication to save time and money with free shipping and handling. Consumers can add items with the “Transfer to Home Delivery” button to their shopping cart, and Express Scripts will reach out to their doctor for approval.

• Medicare Part D: Express Script offers Medicare Part D plans with home delivery for members who receive Medicare. When choosing a Medicare Part D plan, customers should consider a plan with 24/7 access to a pharmacist as well as each plan’s star rating, premium, deductible and copayments.

• Mobile app: The Express Scripts mobile app provides convenient access to member accounts from any Apple or Android mobile device. Members can refill prescriptions, schedule ongoing home deliveries and view drug information from anywhere.

• Accreditation: Express Scripts holds accreditation with the URAC for mail service pharmacy and pharmacy benefit management. It is also accredited with VIPPS.

• Best for: self-insured companies wanting prescription benefits for their employees.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout