3.38/5
Based on 1,156 ratings submitted in the last year

2953 Express Scripts Consumer Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 21, 2019

I have been a customer of Express Scripts for 3+ years. I take a specialty medication that we are not allowed to have filled anywhere else. Since day one we have had nothing but issues with Express Scripts. My medicine is ordered every month and for the past 3 years every single order has been incorrect. I don't even know how this is possible. It takes multiple phone calls every month to rectify the issues (not issue). Each phone call is a minimum of 1/2 an hour. The customer service is incompetent and management gives the same runaround every time. Express Scripts needs to be investigated by Government, FDA, insurance companies!

Original review: May 20, 2019

Worst customer service. Nobody here communicates. They gave me a bill over $6000.00 and said they overpaid for my prescriptions. I've been trying to get this bill resolved for over a year now and they keep giving me the run-around. Do not ever use them under any circumstance.

Original review: May 18, 2019

On several occasions we have experienced a delay in getting eye prescriptions filled due to Express Scripts requiring prior authorization. The Express Scripts representative offered to fax over the PA to the doctor to help facilitate the process. The doctor's office returned the PA, via fax, the next morning only to be told by Express Scripts that it takes 3-5 days to process a fax. Unbelievable. They have no concern for the patient that is waiting on the medication. Their suggestion was to have the doctor's office call with the PA. Guess it's not a big deal to Express Scripts because we can get a new set of eyes at the grocery store. Ha, Ha!

Original review: May 18, 2019

I requested expedited shipping at $21 on a prescription, it was received and not processed for shipping until almost a week later. After calling I was told the meds were on backorder, with no communication from Express at all. I log in today only to see that it'll be sent out, delivered Monday, almost 14 days after the order was received. What the heck is the $21 for expedited shipping if IT'S NOT EXPEDITED!! I will be pursuing a refund for the shipping.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Why doesn't this company make it easier for providers to fill prescriptions? Maybe give the patient information to give to the provider on how they are supposed to request a prescription. Thank goodness we don't have a lot of medications. I feel bad for the people that have to deal with this company more often. I am frustrated every time I need to fill a prescription for my daughter. I called Express Scripts to ask how the provider is supposed to fill an Rx with them, and they want the provider to call an 800 number to get directions, are you serious? Like they aren't busy enough.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

Original review: May 16, 2019

I have been dealing with Express Scripts since October. Despite having a prescription that is refilled every month, they have never paid for anything. First their reason was that they recorded the wrong birthdate for me. We spent three months trying to straighten this out and I thought it was finally straight. Today they refused again to pay my prescription saying I was not covered. It is easy to see the MO of this company - the money stays in the vault. They are the worst I have ever dealt with; even the pharmacist is complaining about them.

Unfortunately they low ball their contracts so businesses keep using them. They are the worst; avoid them if you can. I checked into cancelling my coverage but apparently I can't do that either. This is outrageous. Unfortunately, until the people responsible for employee benefits develop burning ears from the complaints they receive, Express Scripts will continue to get contracts. It has to become unpleasant for them, too, before things will change.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Was prescribed ** medication (type II diabetic) last year, and had no issues getting medication filled for $20 a month. 2019 hits, price goes up to $25 a month for Jan and Feb. March I go to pick it up, $789. Called ES, they said I need to go to Walgreens to get it filled and it would be back to $25 a month. So I go to Walgreens, still $789. Called back. Now I have a lifetime penalty on this medication and other medication I take for more than 2 months at a time! They recommend that if I get a 3 month prescription I can get it for $300 (after I hit our deductible) so I break down to go get it.

Pharmacist tells me that ES won't take/give me a 3 month prescription, only 30 prescriptions. We have been fighting this since March, it's now almost June and I have to go without medication because I can't afford $789 a month! So now back to calling ES and going around in circles. I hate that we have to go through this company to get our medications, they seem to delight in ripping people off and not helping when they are called upon.

Original review: May 13, 2019

After our insurance provider mandated we fill through Express Scripts over a year ago, we've never had a single transaction go smoothly with them. Not one. Not ever. I can understand getting off to a rock start with any new provider of any service, no matter what industry or vertical. But Express Scripts appears to simply be incompetent when it comes to, well...filling prescriptions. Get it wrong once - totally get it. Twice? I can even get that.

But we've made over 2 dozen phone calls, countless emails to them trying to get a single blood pressure medication on 'auto' refill (ANY refill for that matter) to no avail. The odds of so many foul ups happening as 'accidental' are pretty slim. I'm not saying there is a concerted effort to keep from shipping the prescriptions paid for by insurance plans, but one could make a solid argument it's happening - OR that incompetence is the culture. That Cigna paid $54 Billion for this company is dumbfounding; Express Scripts could easily be viewed as a fraudulent company considering the number of complaints and negative reviews in the on-line space. It's shocking they're still in business.

Original review: May 13, 2019

It’s honestly mind blowing at how a company can be so unwaveringly incompetent and provide such useless resolutions to issues. They have been out of stock of my medications for the last 3 months. They have now refused to stop covering my prescription if I continue to pick it up as a local pharmacy, even though they are the ones who have no means of filling the out of stock prescription. I have had to badger my physician to write the script for a smaller dosage and double the quantity since they happen to have those in stock.

I am now completely out of the medication and they refuse to mail the new script due to a pending “clinical question” they have for my PCP and they have “reached out multiple times.” Someone has not yet updated them that in 2019, a fax machine may not be the most efficient way to reach someone. Every representative I’ve spoken to either speaks incomprehensibly or places me on hold to consult with someone else with every question I have. The company has no interest or worries about your medication needs or health, please avoid if possible.

Original review: May 10, 2019

My company was hoodwinked into using Express Scripts and is nothing more than a rip off. I am a diabetic that requires 3 different injection pens as well as oral meds plus oral meds for my blood pressure as well as other conditions. They are refusing to cover my diabetic meds unless I sign up for home delivery and a 90 day supply costing close to $3000 that I have been purchasing at a local pharmacy for a $25 a month copay.

Today I received a nasty notification that the remainder of my meds are going to be denied effective next month since I have not enrolled in home delivery. Issues are I work away from home 7-8 months at a time with no safe secure place to have items like this delivered. Second issue their delivery price far exceeds the local price. Third issue I have met my out of pocket max for the year yet they are charging copays that I should not be paying. There needs to be a class action suit brought against them for price gouging.

Original review: May 10, 2019

After reading hundreds of totally negative reviews, I was scared to death to have to get my MS drug through them, but I had no choice. I have never had a bad experience with this pharmacy. My neuro has even been changing the dosage and Accredo has come through on-time, every time. They regularly call and text when it comes time for refills, and the customer service people have always been polite and professional. Maybe I'm an outlier here, but I have zero complaints about this pharmacy.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have had migraines for my entire 25 year career, tried a multitude of drugs that made me sicker or had no effect, NOW, I need a Prior Authorization for a problem that's been treated by the military medical system for years. I think something needs to be done to this company including a class action lawsuit. They probably think they're too big to even worry about it.

Apparently they are incapable of looking up older treatments to see what has been done in the past. Soooo, now I have to see a new doctor, waste my valuable time starting the process from the beginning... again, since according to Express Scripts morons, my primary care physician (who btw saved my life several times because of medical malpractice by a military doctor, is incapable of making treatment decisions...

Based on these peoples absolute total ignorance of my present treatments and condition. I have to remain in pain because they are so knowing... according to them. I think a class action lawsuit should be elevated in the court system and in a public forum. I think retired military personnel and families deserve something better than this rotten company.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have been getting my prescription auto-refilled for several years with no problem. The medication was non-generic, because there was no generic available. When I received my medication this time it went from $25 to $283 per month, without notice, because they said a generic alternative became available. When I contacted them about it they told me that they do not take returns and that they do not notify the customer of changes in pricing or generic alternatives. Buyer Beware, do not expect Express Scripts business to manage, notify, or auto-renew/refill prescriptions. Learn from my mistake and do not trust that they care about the customer!

Original review: May 7, 2019

I have had several issues with them as I have tried to get prescriptions filled. I have had 3 times in 3 months they tell me the prior authorization is not on file... It is and the doctor sent over my new one yet they are still holding my prescription hostage! This is a script that must be taken every 2 weeks or it seriously messes up my immune system. As it is right now I am to take it tomorrow and they have not shipped it.

I have filed a complaint with the professional licensure board in my state. I am hoping others with similar issues will do the same in hopes of getting this company to get their act together or at the very least have the insurance companies stop using this awful company! The agents you talk to have NO UNDERSTANDING of medications or what they need to do. I got put on hold today for over 45 minutes because the person on the phone couldn't figure out what the problem was so she had to call someone else. If you can help it stay away!

Original review: May 7, 2019

Updated on 05/08/2019: This is related to another review: The drug that they shipped without prior notification was one that required refrigeration. WE DID NOT KNOW IT WAS COMING UNTIL THE DAY IT ARRIVED. This is a very expensive medication requiring refrigeration, which one would EXPECT to receive a notification about. (Eg. "The order that is due to arrive on X date requires refrigeration. Please make sure to remove from packaging and refrigerate promptly upon receipt.") The packaging itself did not say anything about refrigeration. Only in small print on the inside box did I find this information. What if we had been out of town???? What if I hadn't opened the outer box???? So irresponsible on their part. Worse than when a package of medications arrived torn open and they tried to get us to pay for replacements. (They FINALLY conceded it was their responsibility.) If I could give zero stars, I would. I'm calling our HR tomorrow to complain.

Original Review: They say that they will email BEFORE filling prescriptions in order to allow patients to stop any order, but they filled a prescription for my husband and the only notification we got was that it was shipped. They never sent a notification of receiving the request from his doctor or that they were processing it. I tried to cancel it, but they said once it was shipped, we couldn't cancel. IT'S TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS. We could get it from our local pharmacy for $25. THAT'S $175 DIFFERENCE. That's even assuming we actually want to go ahead with using this medication. Regardless, we are OUT the $200. This is not the first time that they have shipped a medication without first notifying us. Something they CLAIM they do not do. They are the worst pharmacy I have ever dealt with. We have problems with them multiple times every year.

Original review: May 7, 2019

The representatives have no knowledge of any medications. They refuse to acknowledge any change in prescription provided by the doctor. They will force you to take only the medicine that they want to promote. I would give them zero stars if that was even possible. Ever since our insurance has forced us to use Express Scripts getting refills is a nightmare every time.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Ordered meds on 4/22/19. Claimed script was expired even though it was faxed for renewal prior. Dr. sent a new script on 4/25/19. These people put the order on hold stating my Dr. noted the script that I needed to call and confirm the script prior to shipping??? Since when was a order not a confirmation to ship? Secondly I called on 5/1/19 for shipping confirmation and at that time it was scheduled to be shipped on 5/3/19. Still not received and now will be out of meds prior to receiving it. This has been nothing but a nightmare place to deal with for the past year. Far too large of a company, almost seems to be a monopoly because they charge more if you go elsewhere due to their poor service.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Since our company switched us to Express Scripts refilling my prescriptions has been a living nightmare. Express Scripts has changed Doctors' names on prescriptions, never seem to be able to contact my Doctors (I have to contact the Doctors and have them sent to ES), failed to send refills, did not contact me within the time frame stipulated by their own policies, charged me extra when I have had to refill my prescriptions locally, etc. Between ES and Accredo I am always fighting to get the drugs I need to stay alive (I am a heart transplant patient).

I am currently battling them to refill a prescription that I had sent to them over a month ago. I finally went to their website and it shows the phrase "Unable to Refill". Talking to an Express Scripts manager got me nowhere as I was told that it was handled by their sister company "Accredo" who was closed for the night. Even though the prescription was shown on the ES website. The time before they could not contact the Doctor to verify my high blood pressure medicine for over two months but never notified me of this issue. By the time I found out (by calling them) and could get to the Dr and get the script filled, I had been out for 2 weeks and had burst a blood vessel in my eye. And this is only 2 stories out of at least 20.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I was notified about my ** medication recall and told to return product as they stated. I have since tried to reorder medication and have been denied twice. I have contacted them via email and three calls to them. Each time I get someone who I can barely understand that reads off a cue card that the request is denied. What kind of service is this to deny to replace medication that was recalled. My wife and I will definitely change providers at next enrollment period.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Blatant inadequacies in every aspect of customer service. Was told repeatedly paperwork wasn't received even though it was submitted electronically by the doctor's office. I believe this business is set up to purposefully delay approval of needed medication to the detriment of patient's health. Disgusted.

Resolution response: May 6, 2019

After dealing with an unresolved issue with Express Scripts for 7 months, they finally took care of the issue and approved the medical necessity. Only waiting to get reimbursed for the extra costs but I spoke to a very nice, representative, Jenna who seemed very competent and concerned and said she would make sure I would get reimbursed.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I have been dealing with Express Scripts since October (7 Months) to try to get a medical necessity for a needed medicine (diabetic strips). Every time I call them, they say that I never called, or that my Doctor has not faxed the required paperwork. Even though the Doctor's office has faxed the paperwork at least 5 times. No one does their job at Express Scripts and each time you call, they tell you a different story, doesn't matter if you speak to a supervisor, they are unhelpful. Terrible customer service.

Original review: April 27, 2019

Service they provide is not good. For refill they asked for pre-authorizations for multiple times, even after providing those approvals from doctor's office they are refusing to provide refills which caused great deal of stress. I don't know why and top of that they give different stories every time.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Express Scripts sent my prescription without my authorization. has cost me 447.84 dollars in unneeded sugar test strips that I already buy in Walmart Pharmacy. I have to call Express Scripts two times and spent more than 3 hours during these phone calls, supervisor, managers, customer service representatives who can't answer my questions and give me my money back. They know that I already buy the test strips in Walmart, and my question is if I had not had that money in my account they would not have sent me the test strips for free then why they send them to me if I never order. I never put my precription in the cart. It seems that sending prescriptions without authorization should be illegal, but I'm sure Express Scripts has ways around taking responsibility for their actions.

Original review: April 26, 2019

My Doctor had be prescribing me this medication for long period of time and every time is a new story even though I have a authorization for one one year, always is a new story. Excuses: "We will call your doctor for a new prescription," another "Your prescription is educated. We need another prescription." Sometimes my doctor has had conversation with them in front of me. I never see any solution. This company very incompetent. I do not how a company like this is taking care of patients.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Updated 04/30/2019: After a month of getting automated "we're working on this" and "your doctor has not responded" messages, Express Scripts finally denied the prescription entirely, with yet another automated message claiming I had "reached the limit" on this medication for the year. Out of total frustration I tried to reach someone else at the company besides the "Patient Care Advocates" who had already given me little to no information as to what the problem really was. After posting a review here a day ago, the company responded privately, asking for my contact information. That triggered a "Resolution in Progress" tag posted above my review, and a member of their "Social Media Management Team" emailed me to repeat the "blame the doctor's office" excuses and promising to "look into it" further. All they had to do in the first place was notify us and the doctor in the beginning that the original prescription could not be refilled as written, instead of all the unexplained delays. As a work-around, my doctor sent a prescription to my local pharmacy so I could have my medication, and that is when I learned that it was cheaper without Express Scripts! They had been overcharging all the time I received this medicine from them by mail! I know I am fortunate to have this alternative, as others may have more expensive drugs and cannot solve their problems the same way. But I hope calling attention to these practices will ultimately help everyone.

Every negative review I have read on this site mirrors my experience with Express Scripts. Their automatic processing is a joke, it gave me a false sense that I would receive my prescriptions in a timely way and I should not have relied on it. After notifying me by email they were contacting my regular doctor for a renewal of a common generic arthritic medicine (an anti-inflammatory) already sent to me for years, they waited 21 days before sending another email claiming they would not be filling the prescription because they received no response from the doctor's office. I contacted the doctor's office myself and they faxed a new prescription the same day. Express Scripts began to process the new prescription 6 days later and held it again for "more detail from the doctor." The doctor's office told me they had already faxed more information to Express Scripts. Now this delivery is a month late.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Express Scripts has really started to go downhill in the ability to mail necessary prescribed medications timely. I believe this is top management drill down on a culture that does not believe or is trying to dictate how much and who gets necessary medications they do not agree with. If medication is pre authorized and insurance covered, why do I have to continue to fight to get this filled? Express Scripts keep up this rouse of slowing the order and delivery process, delaying and pushing back because of their own internal politics and culture on certain medications.

Each and every time I need to refill this prescription, it takes weeks to get the order processed and several phone calls with customer service who is not set up to manage these issues. This medication would be delayed and delayed until I bird dog and babysit the order to ensure they SHIP IT. It would have not shipped had I not called. I have to call several times, each and every time I refill this prescription.

Why do I need to hassle and call each and every time this prescription is to be refilled? Why is the systems set up to go slower and delay and hiccup in processing on these types of medications. Culture driven business where their internal politics are dictating what they believe is unnecessary meds. It IS NOT YOUR CALL TO MAKE. If the doctor preapproves this medication, there is a reason for it.... And if insurance agrees, FILL THE MED AND MAIL IT OUT! You are not the doctor and do not get to make the decision on my medication for me. Mail the meds out - that is your ONE AND ONLY JOB.

Resolution response: April 24, 2019

I am torn between a low score and a high score. I had such a bad experience trying to get approval in the past that I had to get surgery to save money. But this time, my doctor and Express scripts worked it out in a timely matter. I am still disappointed in the process. Its not like this is a 100K medication.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I was on drops to keep ocular pressure under control for years when my company was bought and my insurance changed to Express Scripts. They immediately denied the medication I had been on for years. Suggested my doctor needed to try other treatments first. My doctor tried to work with them and they would do nothing. So I had to go and get surgery to get the pressure down as the uninsured cost was 500 per month. 2 years later and the pressure is going up again. My doctor wants me on the drops again. So this time, he prescribed a new generic. You guessed it. DENIED without prior authorization. So they know more than the doctor that treats me. Now I have to get my doctor to try and work with them again. I had several prior Rx insurance companies. NONE gave me this much trouble. I hope my eyes are worth your bottom line.

Original review: April 23, 2019

This company is a disaster. They sent me cheap, unrecognizable generics of a seizure medication I've been on for years, and things have only gone downhill from there. I needed the medication before leaving on a trip, and I called repeatedly to make sure the correct version would arrive on time. Both the online service and the phone service were completely useless. They told me every time they called that they would "do their best" to get the prescription ready, and every time I followed up, I was told it hadn't shipped yet and that it was still being processed. The customer service people were rude and unwilling to help me, and didn't seem fazed by the fact that I would have a seizure if I didn't get the medication in time.

I ended up having to spend hours on the phone with my doctor, insurance company, and local pharmacy before getting an emergency vacation supply of the medication. I will never use this company again! It is absolutely not worth the 90-day supply or the cheaper rates. It seems they use whatever generic versions of medications are the cheapest for them, and I have since learned from a family member in the medical field that these companies will even sometimes import cheap meds from other countries that aren't even regulated. This makes sense, since the pills I received were white and dusty, and they almost fell apart in my hands. Stick to a local pharmacy you trust!

Original review: April 23, 2019

On several occasions, Express Scripts sent my prescriptions without my authorization. They ignored my phone calls and email requests to hold prescriptions until I released them, which has cost me hundreds of dollars in unneeded medications. Every time this happens, I have to call Express Scripts to try and figure out why this keeps happening. During these phone calls, I'm faced with customer service representatives who can't answer my questions and then rude management that tries to place the blame on me. When I send secure email messages through their messaging system, I never get a response. It seems that sending prescriptions without authorization should be illegal, but I'm sure Express Scripts has ways around taking responsibility for their actions.

I'm pulling all prescriptions from this company but to ensure that this doesn't happen with the information they still have in their system, I learned during my last call that they can place customer holds on all account activity to avoid this situation. It would have been nice to know that a"customer hold" was available the first time I had to call about unauthorized prescriptions begin sent - it would have saved me hundreds of dollars.

Original review: April 19, 2019

So, I've been taking a med for over ten years, the dosage is 40mg. It is a generic drug, nothing outrageous. About 2 years ago Express Scripts took over the Meds part of my Medical insurance. I never had any problems with getting my meds before they took over. Now, it's a hassle every month. The Dr has been having to call them, every month and "pre-authorize" before they would approve it. Now, this month, they decided that my dosage was too high and they were only going to give me half of what the Dr prescribed and charge me 3 times the cost. I've been taking the same dosage for TEN YEARS and it was never a problem till Express Scripts took over. These meds are life saving for me, without them I WILL DIE. So I went to the pharmacy in my local grocery store and they're going to fill the the script for $9.00! NINE DOLLARS. Express Scripts wanted me to pay $135! That is the reality of this company. ** them!!!

Express Scripts Company Information