1.15/5

2860 Express Scripts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I have been forced to use this company due to insurance company plan requirements. The problems I have had over the years could literally fill a book. If you can, run from this company...as far as you can. Constant issues: - Long hold times. - Issues take so long to resolve that medications run out. - Issues take repeated calls, over and over and over again, each time having to explain the problem all over again. - They tell you one thing today then deny having any record of saying that the next day, then again the next day again and again. - Majority of reps and supervisors are very curt and have no compassion or care that they are causing adverse health issues through their actions and inactions. - Takes very long to process and send medication once it finally is approved...then charge $21 to overnight medication which you have to pay because you have run out of the medicine.

- Do not even cooperate with Doctor offices. - The Prior Authorization process is so riddled with denials and excuses that it should be criminal. - Reviews are so negative but nothing changes. - Complaints are so similar that the issues appear to be the norm, not just occasional errors. Is there ANY agency that oversees them that can expose these issues? What about Congress? We are being victimized in large numbers and something HAS to be done. HELP PLEASE!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

When our military leaders contracted with this company THEY REALLY FAILED ALL VETERANS AND THEIR FAMILIES. This company can't fill our prescriptions on a recurring basis "on time", they are always late, and when it is a communication error between the Dr. and Express Scripts, IT IS NEVER EXPRESS SCRIPTS' FAULT. They will not expedite your shipping without $21.00 and they state that regular mail is at best 10 days to receive. Cheaper to use the local pharmacy and pay the co-pay!

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

We were covered by Caremark 2018 and medication was always cheap and covered. Since 2019 my company switched to Express Scripts. 1. 50 dollars for an antibiotic prescription for a child. 2. Denial of coverage for a birth control refill on the day we run out. This is not good coverage. I will also be complaining to my firm. I hope we can go back to Caremark.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

This online pharmacy is highly suggested by our teachers benefits plan provider as an economical way to purchase medication. Unfortunately, economical and professionally run are 2 very different things and in the case of Express Scripts, the latter is non-existent. If you are interested in spending considerable time on the phone to reorder missing scripts from your order, accounting for double charging on your visa for the same drug, setting up billing info for entire family and then receiving hard copy invoices months later, having meds come automatically that are not needed, being promised calls from management office that never happen then this company is for you! Run don’t walk from Express Scripts.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

From the very first time I called them about why they rejected filling my prescription they were completely inept and couldn't tell me why, they weren't filling my script written out by my doctor. I'm not going to go into the entire experience as I'm still in the middle of trying to get my narcotic prescription filled. What I will say is run don't walk away from Express Scripts. Do not use them and as far as I'm concerned we should shut them down because they're 100% inept. I've spoken to around 20 people there from the main office up to the appeals office. Not one person knew what's going on.

From the time I originally called to about the 15th time I called knew that the rules had changed for Narcotics. I blame Medicaid for that but not my doctor, the pharmacy nor my insurance company. Express Scripts knew about these rule changes, which started the middle of last year. I had someone tell me that if I had cancer pain I could get any narcotic I wanted. I asked the woman what's the difference between Cancer pain and kidney pain and ankylosing spondylitis? There was silence on the other end of the phone. These people are rude and stupid. It took me to my 17th call before someone would tell me what the exact guidelines are. I had to burn a 30-day script for a seven day fill, the first time. The second time I drove to the doctors and got a 7-Day script.

The third time they denied me outright. Still I did not know why. If I could legally switch back to my old insurance I would in a heartbeat but the rules don't allow it. Our Healthcare System on many levels is broken. We the people need to fix that and start speaking up I called my representative and she's working with Medicare Part D. This is about Liberty and quality of life. Right now the government is infringing on my Liberty and screwing with my quality of life. Is this what makes America great? Really! Do not use Express Scripts. I'm pleading with you. I'll save you the headaches now. I cannot express how pissed off I am about this whole situation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I am writing this in true hopes that someone from Express will reach out. I work for a practice in Brick, NJ. For close to a year Express Scripts cannot receive our faxes. We can receive incoming from Express but not outgoing. We have spent countless hours on the phone trying to resolve this issue as well as countless hours on hold to call in scripts and desperately connect to submit a prior authorization. After wait times of 20, 30 and 40 minutes we typically have to hang up and try again as we are running a practice. Most recently we have incurred an issue in which a patient desperately needs a prior authorization completed. Out attempts have been less than fruitful. We have no issues faxing to others pharmacies, other offices, etc. After months and months of issues and Express claiming this is an isolated issue, we will no longer be able to assist patients that choose to use Express Scripts.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have been trying to get my prescription for Humera filled since January 22, 2019 through Express Scripts. I had BCBS insurance with TriCare as secondary so I would not have to pay the $5,000 for the medicine. I was told they DID take secondary insurance and then they DID NOT. I ended my BCBS insurance (COBRA) so that TriCare would become primary. On February 1, 2019, I contacted Express Scripts again (I had been on the phone with them every day since January 22nd) and was assure my prescription had been transferred from BCBS to TriCare. Every time I called to follow up, I was given different and conflicting information.

I had my doctor send in a NEW prescription just to make sure it was in the system and was assured again yesterday that everything was being processed. Today, I was told I needed doctor pre-authorization (makes sense, TriCare wants to make sure I need the Humera) but was frustrated I was not told this on February 1st. My doctor sent off the paperwork and then called Express Scripts because they needed my TB test results. As soon as the doctor’s office said the results were not uploaded into their system (she just started her own practice and their computer systems are being updated), Express Scripts denied my prescription and now I am in appeals status. They refused to wait to speak with my doctor about my TB results and now I have to wait up to 90 DAYS for an appeal decision.

I feel my prescription is being held hostage and that Express Scripts - TriCare does not want to pay for this medicine. I have been given different information, conflicting stories and nobody I have spoken to has read the notes when I call them, so I have to start OVER each and every time I call. Express Scripts is the worst company I have had to deal with in my MANY years on this earth. Everyone is so “nice” but they are worthless at the end of the day.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I have been lied to and laughed at by this company. My Crohn’s Disease medication cannot be dispensed at a regular pharmacy. It always must go through the mail. 2014-2019 I had Magellan RX and it was incredible and a pleasure to work with them. My medication is still displaying Request Has Been Received. I am told my doctor's office needs to send more info and am given a number that my doctor's office called and was told everything has been received. I am getting nowhere and it is almost a sick cycle of a bad dream. I AM OUT OF MY MEDICATION AND CANNOT INJECT AND MY DISEASE IS ACTIVE. That seems to get a laugh from defensive supervisors. I’ve recorded all my conversations. Anyone with a recommendation please help. I’m going to go into a flare up if I can’t inject soon.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

We received a package with one of my husband's medication. I never used this company and they sent me an invoice as well. I pick up this drug every month from local pharmacy and the balance is $0.00... I use a coupon, and they did not even ask me if I needed the medicine. Just sent it to force you to pay the value on the invoice. I called and the package cannot be returned. It's the ghost companies that want only to get your money. I called customer service twice, they did not even want to hear anything...VERY DISAPPOINTED!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I was forced by my insurance to go to Express Scripts home delivery service for my medication. I put in the order and was not contacted for 3 weeks when they notified me that they did not receive doctor prescription for my medication. By this time with pharmacy preparation time (5-8 days for generic common medication) and shipping time (7 days, you can only expedite if you pay) my medication was going to be late. I had my doctor call in a prescription to Express Scripts and she said it took them 30min to find me in the system. And the prescription still didn't go through. Out of the 3 times I called Express Scripts, they basically say to wait it out or to call my doctor (which I've done). I'd rather pay the copays for my medicine than get it late. This service (pharmacy... Ha!) is terrible. I wouldn't recommend it even to my enemies.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I have been calling this business for RX mailings 4 or 5 times and no record of me in the computer system, yet I get medication from them. Called again and now I'm in their system but only ONE RX. Transferred me to MyMatrix and they don't have all my prescriptions either. Excuse?? Oh we are transitioning from one company to the other... Been going on for three or four months!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I placed an order for insulin, and instead of contacting me or the doctor, they sent a different insulin. Been on this insulin for over 10 years. I gave the company a credit card to use and instead of charging the new credit card, they changed my debit card. After multiple phone calls and many different people on the phone, they told me they would refund my debit card, but instead charged me twice on my debit card. When I let them know what happened they told me I had no clue what I was talking about. Had to have the bank put a fraud charge against them.

Then a so-called supervisor told me the matter with the wrong insulin would be corrected and told me I could speak with the pharmacist about how not to take insulin until my new order came. Obviously has no clue about being a type one diabetic. The company presents no knowledge of medication or being professional. I placed an order for another order of insulin and instead of them charging the credit card I gave them on file they waited over a week to send me an email, no phone call, to say I had to pay before it shipped. Nobody put the credit card on file as was requested two months prior. I said I was out of insulin and with need it shipped overnight, but was told that is not an option, again as a diabetic I’d have to go without insulin.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I can't even call this "business" a pharmacy. The medication is/looks different EVERY time. Sometimes it makes me feel loopy because the mix is spotty vs. consistent. They receive controlled substance prescriptions via mail and sit on them, making the customer have to go BACK to their doctor for a new Rx, which is humiliating. Employers use this "service" because it saves them a ton of money vs. letting employees use real pharmacies, but there is a reason they are so cheap. If you are on life-or-death medication, spend money and go elsewhere. Do not trust these people with your life. Corrupt, horrible "customer service," and they don't even have to care... One star only because I can't give zero stars.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

4 times on the phone 1 1/2 hrs each and still no answer on my prescription. No manager ever calling me back. The one supervisor call me back this morning. I had to call him back in order to find out that it's still just about maybe leaving the building. I could tell you I would rather take these to the pharmacy and get pay out of pocket if I have to let the deal with this and not have blood pressure medication delivered in a timely fashion. And this is not the first time that I've had problems with this company with delivering medicine for me or my wife. Would never ever recommend this company to anybody.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

One of my family members changed his 2018 original health insurance plan to Medicare (include A,B &D) coverage in Spring 2018 after age of 65. Accredo sent drug refill claims to the original drug plan that was no longer provide drug coverage benefits. Express Scripts’s Accredo Specialty Pharmacy has refused to REPROCESS the prescription drug claims to Medicare (Express Scripts Medicare drug plan) plan after our calls for this new plan update. Accredo Specialty just keeps attempting refill customers’ prescriptions, does not care customers’ plan coverage and their requests. Their reason not reprocess claims to the current plan was the prescriptions in their hand were received at the beginning of the year 2018, so the refill was already done before our refill request. So the patient lost the benefit coverage from Medicare plan 2018.

After we switched our pharmacy, and realized also Accredo drug price (Tier 3, 4,5) extremely high. Customer service and business operation are very poor from Accredo Specialty Pharmacy. Another problem is that it seems Express Scripts and Accredo Specialty Pharmacy are business partners, but they do not have efficient communication. Express Scripts switch the patient drugs to Accredo at beginning, but Express Scripts does not update patient’s drug plan info to Accredo after any changes.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I’ve been taking ** for years to keep my Meniere syndrome under control. However since Express Scripts changed the pill manufacturer they’re using for this particular drug (it used to be a bright green pill, double the size of the new pale green one) my blood pressure is all of the sudden spiking and my Meniere is not under control anymore after it had been for years. I read in the New York Times about the scandal of “made in India” cheap fake drugs flooding the American market and I’m wondering whether Express Scripts is selling me phony drugs to increase their profit at the cost of people health.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

What a wonderful thing to wake up to! A $125 charge on my debit card and the mental midget at customer service refuses to tell me what it's for which they can clearly see! We have not ordered anything nor do I have an open balance with this shady company! I also do not keep my card on file, for anyone, they just went and took the information from a previous payment I made hoping they could push through this large payment and I wouldn't notice. Seriously?? They think I wouldn't notice that kind of money missing from my account. They refuse to reverse this charge or even tell me what it's for. This is fraud!!! And yet their mental midgets at customer service refuse to assist in any way, shape or form! I don't know who this company seems to think they are but they cannot STEAL from people and have it just go away!! This will be disputed and, if needed, brought to the attention of my attorney!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Customer service representative told me to ask Dr's office to call in request in order for medicine to be expedited. Dr called in script due to the urgency of me taking it. It has now been 13 days, and I am still waiting for Express Scripts to process the request. There have also been multiple confirmation numbers for multiple duplications of this medication on their app which appear for a day or two and then disappear.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I have always received a 90 day supply of my medication. My medication was due for refill in December. When I placed the order they only refilled it for 30 days. When I called to place the order again, I asked why only 30 days. I was told my doctor needed to write the prescription for 90 days. So I contacted my doctor and they submitted it for 90 days. Then I received a call from Accredo stating that my prescription was no longer considered specialty drug therefore Express Scripts would be filling it. I called Express Scripts and they told me Accredo would be filing it. My order has been delayed over a week now and I am out of medication for a drug that I must take every day to treat a chronic disease.

After spending over an hour on the phone yesterday I thought everything had been completed. The supervisor told me that it would be listed as an emergency and would ship overnight. I received a call from Rhonda at 8:45 that evening and she said the call had been escalated to her. I told her everything had been resolved earlier and the supervisor gave me a credit for the co-pay which the manufacturer covers for me and that he had told me they would file with the manufacturer. Rhonda said that was not true and they Express Scripts would not send the drug overnight and that it would be sent regular mail and I would need to contact the manufacturer for reimbursement.

The medication is to ship out on Monday now however my plan does allow me to get my drugs through Walgreens Specialty Pharmacy and they will even take care of the co-pay assistance with the manufacturer. I don't understand why Rhonda treated me so rudely and did not seem to understand the urgency of the drug I take. This medication is $7K for a 90 day supply so I won't take a chance of it being lost in the postal service. I was never offered upgraded shipping at all and in fact Rhonda cancelled the original order and placed another that would not get expedited. I got different answers from every supervisor I spoke with. The only person that seems to care was the Pharmacist who told me that the drug I am on has to be taken every day or the disease will ravish my body. Rhonda saved Express Script $20 in shipping when the company makes billions $$$ a year. Way to go Rhonda Express Scripts' Supervisor.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

My Harvard-educated doctor prescribed me a medication for a 90-day fill - two tablets per day. I was shortchanged receiving only 45 tablets twice in a row. I called Express Scripts only to learn that they intentionally shortchanged me. My "plan" only allows 45 day fills without a MAGIC pre-authorization form. No one from Express Scripts notified my doctor or me that they were shortchanging me. My doctor was furious when we finally drilled down to why her prescription and my fills didn't match! I was furious, too. It costs me more money, as well, since Express Scripts is leaving me hanging for an additional 45 days without my much-needed medicine.

Apparently, a "pre-authorization" is required. No one EVER told either my doctor or me this. My doctor submitted the pre-authorization. Then, Express Scripts still held up my script because of another "pre-authorization" required! My doctor responded immediately. I thought all was moving forward, but more than a week passed, and no shipping notification.

I called, and my call took 53 minutes. Some "glitch" in the Express Scripts system disallowed my fill yet again. The nice representative had me on hold endlessly trying to get a supervisor to override this mistake repeatedly. She said she finally got it and said she would expedite my order. Expedite meaning from my phone call on Sunday, I **might** receive my medication on Thursday. Express Scripts told me to get my doctor to get an "emergency" fill at a local retail pharmacy to tide me over. I wouldn't have ever needed that if Express Scripts would have only done their jobs and been communicative to both me and my doctor. After parsing out one pill a day (when I'm prescribed to take two) or not taking my pills at all, I still don't have my prescription.

I think Express Scripts is playing God. They decide willy-nilly what and how much they will fill without notifying key stakeholders in their decisions. Sadly, I'm bound to Express Scripts and its incompetency since this is what my employer provides. Given a choice, I'd certainly find another mail-order pharmacy that communicates with its patients and doesn't leave a patient in need of medication to fend for herself. Their customer service is non-existent. Pitiful is being nice.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I've found this group to be a member of the "not ready for prime time" organizations when it comes to user/name and pw issues. I've reset my pw numerous times due to its system stating I've got it wrong. And now, a new wrinkle...as it won't send me an email to the address I've registered. Checked in today regarding a possible medication recall- reassurance is one of the primary duties of medical personnel - too bad I cannot receive any at this time.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Updated on 01/18/2019: Someone from Express Scripts read my recent review and responded wanting to assist me. I gave them contact information and the person called me. Again giving me different answers as to why my medication was approved with prior authorization, but wasn’t covered because there are generics and denial for lower copayment. Original appeal for them to assist in cost of medication which I have to have brand name and cannot pay $1018 for 1 month supply. 2nd appeal was to get medication approved with my doctor faxing medical necessity for brand name medicine.

Again, denied. When I asked this agent who and how they determine denial he stated it’s a process that he couldn’t explain to me and he didn’t have script in front of him. Bottom line I got him to tell me real reason I was denied was because he said my plan doesn’t cover it. I asked him why I wasn’t told that at beginning rather than give me false hope and have my doctor send letter.

Conclusion, this company should not be allowed to have anything to do with people’s lives and health. They only care about profit to them. Of course they don’t want to pay for a expensive much needed medication, too much loss to them. I would not use this company if I didn’t have to. They deserve a negative 5 stars! Everyone tells you something different and no one really knows the correct procedure, protocol or answers. In all my years, I have never had a prescription drug plan whose company is so inept and cares nothing for the customers health! If you have a choice don’t pick Express Scripts. Might as well not have any plan. Force you to do mail order or fill at specific pharmacy 3 month supply for maintenance medications. Never been forced to pay for 3 months at a time!

Original Review: Unfortunately my husband's employer only offered Express Scripts for 2019. Denied brand medication that I have used for 15+ years and tried generics and allergic or didn’t work. Even had doctor send in letter of medical necessity and denied. Wanted me to pay over $1000 for 30 day supply! Everyone gives me a different answer, people giving out wrong information not knowing my plan coverage. The worst prescription plan ever in my entire life. They don’t care about your health, only profits to them. I am now out of medication and it is critical for my health to have this medication. They can’t do anything and I can’t afford $1000 for 1 month supply of medication.

I have had nothing but headaches and it’s only the beginning of the year. How is it that we are forced to purchase 90 day supply? My glaucoma eye drop has no generic, so they will charge me a outrageous amount for them! Guess the employer picked the lowest of the lowest prescription plans! It definitely reflects that, close to having nothing! Stay away from Express Scripts. I’d rate it negative stars!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Stock answer from customer service? "I don't know". Got letter from them dated. 11/2018, POSTMARKED 12/28/18 saying ** no longer covered. "Take action by 1/1/19". 3 days?!? Over a holiday?!?! Don't do business unless you are dying and have no choice!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I paid for prescriptions out of pocket because I was told I didn’t have coverage. Later on I received a reimbursement check for $1,833.99 for their mistake. In the meantime I was told not to cash the check by my attorney because of litigation. This issued was resolved and asked Express Scripts to re-issue the check. I have called 5 different times and been told “The check will be in the mail.” I’m still waiting! I even had my attorney call and they were told the same thing. I guess the only way to get my money is to take them to small claims court, which is my next step!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

They told me a 90 day supply of my medication would be $80 and they charged me $330 and sent a 30 day supply. All without my consent! They refused to give me the money difference of $250 back and the 60 days of medication they didn't give me.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Express Scripts received my daughter's new prescription on December 22, 2018. Today (24 days later), it still hasn't been shipped out and the status shows "prescription has been received." I have called about 9 times since Dec 22nd and have spoken with 3 supervisors. I still have no ship date/time and no one can tell me why it is being held up. I've been told that it's at the back end pharmacy ready to be shipped.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

The eye drops I use for glaucoma are always late from Express Scripts. These are supposed to be a 90 day supply but fall short by 1-3 weeks. Trying to contact them has effected a change for that delivery only and they can't seem to stay on top of it or permanently change the refill dates so this happens every 90 days and I have to contact them. My doctor says she gets complaints about Express Scripts and has started writing scripts for Walmart for those patients. This is not an expensive drug and I could go to Walmart every 90 days but I should not have to do this. I have no control over Express Scripts being my Part D provider because my former employer goes with the lowest bid so I'm stuck with them. Gee - wonder why they were the lowest bid, maybe because they don't hire enough staff or incompetent staff, hence my issue. I would give them a 1 star except they do ok on my other med for some reason.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Express Scripts - Very Very poor service. I am still waiting on medication since Dec 26, 2018. I have been getting the runaround. A supervisor was of no help. One hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing over there. This issue is still not resolved.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I am diabetic and have a few other health issues and there have been 2 occasions where Express Scripts told me my dr office lied to me about faxing in my scripts. They said my dr office has been lying to me and not doing their job...really? How professional is that? I never had any issues like this until I switched to Express Scripts! When Medicare open enrollment come back around I WILL be switching to a new company. Disgraceful!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Time consuming (over 4 hours of troubleshooting/problem resolution for our first, and last, Rx by mail). Incorrect loading of information. Incompetent and hard-to-understand customer service reps from Philippines. I had the same rep 4 times and needed to get a supervisor. Incomplete follow through. Non-functioning website to track package. Package address entered incorrectly. Clearly the departments do not know how their peers in other departments work, if they did, maybe they would know who to involve to solve problems rather than leaving the follow-up in the record for the next time the customer calls. Being able to say "Please hold" must be the only qualification needed for the customer service job.

Express Scripts Company Information