Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.19/5

Express Scripts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 12, 2020

The point of using a mail order pharmacy is to make life simpler. As I separate my pills I realize that one prescription is running out a month before the others. I found no way to discuss anything online, so I called them. First I told them that I had searched their site but could not find any way online to choose to not received the child-proof caps. Well, there isn't any way online. But, of course, they don't mention anything about child-proof caps online. I then asked about the shorted pills on one of my six prescriptions. They didn't even know what to tell me. Wait on the phone. Transferred finally to a third person who tells me that I had to have notified them within sixty days. I pointed out that not only does that sound absurd, but I am within sixty days of when the order arrived.

I also mentioned that I was looking at my Invoice and online and that nowhere does it say that you have to report shortages within sixty days. Her response was that I had to notify them within 60 days of the date they say they shipped the order. I complained and asked for a supervisor. The fact that mail is much slower because of Covid-19 didn't matter to her. The fact that they have no notice anywhere that you are limited in time to inform them of a shorted order got no response. I pointed out that the point of mail order is to make life easier, not more difficult. No response. So, it seems that it time to switch to Costco and avoid Express Scripts. Also, when I can change my Medicare Part-D provider, I will have to avoid Cigna since they now own Express Scripts.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 11, 2020

I get an expensive prescription and my health insurance decided that they would only cover it through Express Scripts. The price looked good for 2 months of meds. The website was misleading and that was the price for 2 months. I can get the meds at the pharmacy much cheaper with a manufacturers coupon at a pharmacy. I feel ripped off. Express Scripts doesn’t take manufacturers coupons. Why use them for anything? Any discount card is cheaper without insurance. Straight up scam.

Resolution response: June 4, 2020

Today, June 3rd, I insisted upon getting a refund as a matter of principle. Especially after emailing Express Scripts yesterday. I received an email that informed me to contact the same number I contacted with no results numerous of times. Running around in circles. I also put them on notice about writing a review with Consumer Affairs and changing my credit card information. I spoke, once again, to another pharmacist who did not hang up on me. She refunded my money. And directed me on how to dispose of the unwanted medications. She also offered other alternative billing option advice. However, I am too happy to run as fast as I can back to any drug store.. To think that Express Scripts is now Cigna! I believe in peace of mind and clearing the way for a stress free existence in my advancing age.. Thank you, but "NO THANK YOU.”

Original review: June 2, 2020

Initially, I thought getting my medication by mail through Express Scripts would be a great benefit. I am a senior. However, this company has proven to be a nerve-wracking disaster for the following reasons: After my discharge from the hospital and upon applying for my medications to be sent to me by mail, through Express Scripts, I reviewed all the medications I was taking over and over again. Prior to that, I was not taking medication on a routine basis. I also informed the pharmacist about all the medications I no longer was taking over and over again. My primary doctor gave me a prescription for one medication, and the specialist gave me a prescription for 3 medications. All were for 90 days. Simple, 4 medications for 90 days each. I received the (4) 90 day prescriptions; however, oddly enough, I also received 30 day refills for the same (4) medications,

This was medication duplication during for the same period. Therefore, I was mailed and charged 180 days medication for each of the 4 medications for the same 90 day period.. Excessive medication. What if it were an addictive drug? After this experience and enduring the aggravation of straightening out the excessive medication now in my possession, I experienced a haunting for refills, directly AFTER they mailed the second 90 days of medication. I would follow up by calling my physicians alerting them that I needed my medication refills, only to find the medication was in the mailbox. I emailed Express Scripts requesting that they stop harassing me with daily flooding emails for medication currently in my possession and not yet taken. In addition, I don't know what to do with the extra medications.

What finally blew my cap? They filled another medication that I specifically informed them I no longer was taking. I warned them in advance not to send ** (a nose spray) to me. Guess what? They mailed it anyway and charged me over $40.00. If I let this abuse continue they will have card blanch with my charge card. It has been a daily, nerve-wracking affair dealing with this company for 90 days. Express Scripts made a reservation in my head! If you are a senior you may also experience identity theft. Why? They always ask for your social security number, date of birth, etc. and some seniors need assistance to clear up this on-going incompetency in the presence of strangers. Any home attendant or persons assisting you can get your personal information easily.

Today when attempting to solve the problem and requesting a refund, and directions on how to return the ** to Express Scripts, once I receive the nose spray, today, Tuesday, June 2nd, 2020, the pharmacist hung up on me. Trust me! If you don't want to think Express Scripts 24/7 365, do not use this service. Go to your local pharmacy and spare yourself the stress. As a senior, my experience with Express Scripts is nerve-wracking, emotionally disturbing and if a senior is up in age...they are probably being robbed and stressed to their deaths. It is a guaranteed stressful experience that could land you in the psycho ward. Who needs that? You'll end up taking medication for your nerves or killing yourself from an overdose of medication. You think this is a done deal and life will be easy...THINK AGAIN AND BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: May 30, 2020

I want to like Express Scripts, I love the idea of receiving my prescriptions at my home (so convenient) and receiving a 3 month supply for all-the-time meds like **; however, it is so HARD to use them. I just moved, changed my address, they were going to send me a script and needed an address verification, so I do that online, then they call, so I do it over the phone, I got an email this AM saying they need an address verification.

They can never just process a script; for example, if I want auto-refills (have it for a 3 mos supply from my healthcare provider)...for whatever reason they can't process payment. Recently I called (which takes forever and is voice automated) and the customer care representative (very nice) didn't know why my script couldn't process. There was no outstanding balance, she took payment, and I still haven't received the script. I had one at my local grocery store, so I just filled it through them. I NEVER write reviews and I consider myself kind and patient; I am simply writing this so that maybe they can improve for others in the future.

Original review: May 28, 2020

Updated on 06/03/2020: After my first review Express Scripts tried to save face on here and say contact us. I did and then they showed their true colors by having customer service that sounded like they had no issue with the difficulties they cause. They said to appeal a decision have your doctor fill out the appeal form with reasoning. Not only did he do that he sent them studies of my particular situations benefits from a medication with no side effects. The prescription that Express Scripts wanted me to take does have side effects and no more benefits. But I’m assuming Express Scripts is in bed with the medication their pushing. This is the second time they have pulled this stuff. And when Express Scripts reads this don’t you dare mark this as resolution in progress, because looking at every other review online everywhere, we all know you're not trying to resolve this or any other situation on here.

Original Review: Looking at the other reviews about this company it appears there’s a consensus that people are stuck with this company and not happy about it. You have to jump through so many hoops to get authorization for medical supplies and supplements that doctors prescribe to you. It’s almost unbelievable. Obviously they are getting compensated from certain companies to push their brands which in some cases are much more expensive than the options that you want. In two situations My doctor has went through the procedure of filling out their forms to no avail. As a member of The committee that selects my companies insurance plans I have seen enough of Express Scripts policies.

Express Scripts response

Hello Nathan,

We are sorry about your experience & want to assist. Please email ExpressRxHelp@express-scripts.com your member id, phone number,date of birth and how we can better assist.

Thank you.
    Shanta J

Social Media Specialist Team

Original review: May 22, 2020

Updated on 05/30/2020: This is my second message. NOTHING was resolved with my prescription. I’m not sure why the site says that a resolution is in process. My pharmacy flagged me and shredded my prescription due to incorrect information with Express Scripts. My new doctor FIRED me. Please do your homework. They receive barely 1.5 stars. They have embarrassed and humiliated me. Please don’t end up in my situation. Eventually it will happen to you too.

Original review: I had 5 prescriptions missing in late February. I placed 31 calls over the course of 10 days only to be hung up on and lied to. I even had a customer service rep tell me she wasn’t a supervisor but “may as well be.” I filed a police report per their request and filed grievances with USPS and UPS. I put $900 worth of cameras on the outside of the house. Now it’s late May and still no resolution. In fact, I was lied to AGAIN to today. I will NEVER use their mail order again. I will use GoodRx. It’s cheaper anyway. The reviews on here are not lying. I have NEVER dealt with more incompetent people in my life. My doctors even hate them. RUN!

Original review: May 20, 2020

In March, I began to try and get reimbursed for 2 prescriptions I paid out of pocket for. I didn’t keep the original receipts unfortunately. Walgreens has been very kind and helpful but they can’t reproduce the original receipts. I’ve sent in fill histories and a reproduced receipt from Walgreens and they’ve both been denied by Express Scripts due to “company policy“. I’m asking for $82.84 in total.

Original review: May 15, 2020

Express Scripts makes a big deal about saving the customer money, but there are little or no savings at all, in our current case we are having to pay over $300 for a prescription our doctor wrote that has a manufacturer's discount card of paying $0 through their savings card (manufacturer). Depending on who you get on the phone with at Express Scripts you will get different answers, most of which are not at all helpful and the claim is that they can't do anything else about it. I've been out of state suffering from a severe case of bronchitis and was told they could give me the $7.37 medication for $33. I ended up paying $7.37 and left the pharmacy confused as to why my Rx is less expensive when I don't use Express Scripts!?

This company makes no sense and their staff do not have a clue as to how to twist their lies back to the consumer because none of their responses are even consistent. One time they contact the doctor for clarification, change in dose, manufacturer, etc., the next time they claim they never call the doctor!? This company is not to be trusted but my health insurance policy requires me to use them.

Original review: May 13, 2020

It’s purely ironic that their name is Express Scripts considering there is nothing quick about it. Blue Cross Blue Shield basically forces you to use this awful company that takes forever to fill a prescription. Called today to understand why it hasn’t shipped yet after a week and the customer service agent said to me “Express scripts is meant to be economical not quick”...

Original review: May 8, 2020

We've been forced by our insurance carrier, Blue Cross, Blue Shield to use Express Scripts for a year now, and it's a real disaster. I was prescribed for a migraine medication. Since April 14th, I spent 45 minutes at least every other day just to get the status of my prescription. And I STILL don't have it. My Dr. sent the authorization first then they said they need another authorization again and they got all they need it. I am sure the insurance company pay you more or bonus to just deny and refuse to process the prescriptions. The customer services are rude and lie about the processing and shipping.

Express Scripts Company Information