4.64/5
Based on 486 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Finance of America Reverse is one of the premiere reverse mortgage lenders in the United States. Since 2003, FAR has been providing homeowners age 62 and older with the financial independence they deserve while preparing for or during retirement. By utilizing home equity for a retirement asset, these savvy homeowners are able to strengthen and lengthen their retirement plans.

Finance of America Reverse Video
Finance of America Reverse Gallery (3)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 14, 2018

1128 Finance of America Reverse Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

We decided to do the reverse mortgage because none of our kids want our ranch. Before Finance of America Reverse, I was dealing with a broker who then went through a third party and then to the mortgage lender. I kept getting delayed and delayed with these other companies. I just got tired of the runaround. By the time I got to Finance America, I was kind of a little leery, but they started calling me back every day. Finance of America is direct and they stayed right on top of it. Whatever they needed, I could furnish them. It was really quick and easy and they stayed on top of it. They have the right connections. But I learned a lot by going through those other places. There are a few of bad companies out there. They’re just trying to make an easy buck off of people that aren’t in a good position.

My loan officer took care of all the questions. I also worked with the manager when he stepped in because the loan officer had a family emergency. They worked together and it was a seamless transfer. The application process was really simple and including the underwriting, it took about three months. Now, I don’t have any payments anymore and I’m going to retire in another year.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I was led to believe that Finance of America was the direct lender and that they would be servicing the mortgage. And I found out at the last minute that it was Celink that was going to be handling it, not Finance of America. They just sold it. I think that was wrong for Felicia, my rep, to say that to me. But she was very good to me. She did a great job. The process of obtaining the mortgage went very smooth. I was very happy with it and Felicia was with me the whole way.

But I don't understand Celink paying me. I include interest of $400 and they charged me $200 and some for the interest and the mortgage insurance. And Celink has been taking that out of the untouched equity. They took it from my portion of my interest that I earned that was supposed to go into my line of credit. I found that very strange. Because I've got a huge chunk of equity build up in my house that I can't touch it's not doing me any good. And I'm wondering what they're going to do when their line of credit is less than my interest if they try to get into my line of credit then we're going to have problems. But as far the rates I know they were good. The maximum amount that they could charge me is 8% and they can only charge 2% at a time until they reach that maximum. Finance of America is a very good company but they are a mortgage broker, not a finance company.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I wanted to have some free time and some free money flowing so I got a reverse mortgage. And the process and the customer service at Finance of America Reverse went good.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

A reverse mortgage as part of my retirement plan made sense to me. I was downsizing out of a larger house which was just too big to take care of and too expensive and when I sold that house I was able to use the proceeds to buy a new house without any mortgage. I decided to reverse mortgage the new house and just go for a line of credit available to me. I went online, got various quotes and proposed reverse mortgages, and one of the companies that followed up was Finance of America Reverse. I got to know them, did a little research on them, and found that they had pretty good nationwide ratings for reverse mortgages in terms of their reliability.

The application process was convoluted and not very pleasant, though. Even though the people at Finance of America walked me through it, the FHA imposes a lot of overkill in terms of what they're asking for documentation. I understood it because there is some abuse of these mortgages, but it seemed a bit too much to me. I also found the questions asked to be very invasive. It was also difficult to prove that I live in this house and that I didn’t still live in my old house. It was again a lot of hard requirements and I don’t know how they're involved in it.

It was a long distance thing working with the loan officer, who was in Tulsa while I'm in New York. A couple of times I was wondering why such a long distance. I was thinking do they really have any people in New York and have they made me loans there, but I was assured that they did. I got many calls from the loan officer and at first I thought it was a little on the high pressure side, but after the initial application it sort of calmed down a little bit. It was helpful in having someone explain to me why they needed each piece of information, but it just was a lot of hassle. Some days it seems like there were several phone calls, then after the closing when I had some questions, I got no answers at all. I guess they turned it over to a servicing company, who finally sent me a packet of information that I got several weeks later.

It was certainly very expensive to get the mortgage, starting out with quite a high balance because of the closing costs. Closing was in December, and there was a bit of a thing at the end where they wanted to pre-pay some local taxes due January 31st. In fact, I hadn’t even received my tax bill and I didn’t until January 2nd or 3rd. They said they were required to pay anything that was due within 90 days before the closing and so that was added to my balance and they said, “After it's over you can pay us back for that and reduce the balance.” I found that strange, and then when I got my tax bill from the town, I looked it up on the website and it said this has not been paid.

I tried to contact Finance of America. I said, “What was this $2,000 that was taken out? It said it was for taxes.” I went and paid them, then I found out later on that it had been paid, but it hadn’t been recorded as such by the town. I had to get it all back from the town. It was sloppy, and what they claimed was paid was not the same amount as the tax bill, which was $1,600. I don’t know where the other money went. I wrote emails to the person I dealt with in Tulsa and I got no answer whatsoever.

I doubt anybody else would have done a better job than Finance of America, though. They were certainly straightforward and thorough. Every single T was crossed and every I dotted. They also provided me with tons of documentation. I have confidence in them as being honest. The whole recent changes in reverse mortgages to tighten it up and reduce the amount you get a little bit, I don’t think the reverse mortgage company has any control over that. A couple of times during the whole thing I said, "Why don’t we just forget it?" A lot of the parts of the procedure that seemed burdensome were probably not their fault.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I am 74 years old and recently received a reverse mortgage on my home with Finance of America Reverse. Steve ** is my loan officer and I could not have found a more personable, competent or efficient person to help me through the process. Steve's years of experience gave him immediate knowledge about any questions or concerns I had. His expertise gave me confidence about going through with such a big decision. I highly recommend Finance of America Reverse.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Finance of America Reverse?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I got a reverse mortgage from Finance of America Reverse to help me financially. I tried another lender and they said they couldn’t do it but with Finance of America everything went smooth. The process took about a week and the loan officer was very helpful. I would recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I got a reverse mortgage to not have to worry about money every month. I called other companies but I liked Marina of Finance of America Reverse right off the bat. She answered any questions I needed to ask. I asked the same question five or six times and she didn't get mad at me and she just gave me the answer. The process was straightforward. There was a lot of paperwork but that's just normal. The interest on this that's added on to the top of my thing for whoever got to pay it off is a little steep. But I won't have to worry about it. Marina did a great job. She treated me right.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I had a very good experience with Finance of America. The guy who dealt with us, Joe, was an excellent person. He made everything so easy. He's now become a friend of mine. We talk all the time and he is a real good guy. A couple of friends had mentioned Finance of America Reverse to us. At first, we tried to go to the bank to get a mortgage on our house because it's all paid for, but the rep said that they wouldn't give us anything that we needed. But the guy was very nice and he gave us Finance of America's number.

It took a little slow for Finance of America to come over to the house and evaluate what it was worth. But once the rep came and did what she had to do, it went along fine. Everybody is so helpful when you go to these places to have them tell you what it's about so that you understand it better. Their rates were fair and they explained that later on, they’ll evaluate the house again. Their explanation was fine. The person who came here at the house to sign the papers was super nice. If I were to recommend it, I'd also tell my friends that Finance of America will take good care of them and I'd lean them towards Joe.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

With our age and our situation we don’t need the money in the equity of our house. We can use it better in our pocket than down the road. So a reverse mortgage was just a sound business decision to me. Finance of America Reverse was the first one that called and I investigated them and I liked the way they operate so that’s why I went with them.

The process was lengthy. We did that online counseling. A guy called and we talked for an hour about this and that and after that it was just a lot of paperwork, just to fill out everything. But my representative, Toby, was very thorough and very helpful in the process. He has his own personal phone and it didn’t matter what time of the day or week it was he was always available. Whenever I had a question he always got right back to me with an answer -- if he didn’t know it already, which I think he always did. It was a very smooth process and I was appreciative.

I can't imagine most of the people that do reverse mortgages or elderly and they don’t really get it as far as finances. But I think the whole system is set up to protect older people so they don’t get taken advantage of. Finance of America did a great job. Plus the rate and the terms of the reverse mortgage were all reasonable. I achieved what I wanted to at the onset of it to pay out some stuff and use the money for things. It worked out exactly how we wanted it to.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I'm alone and I'm not getting any younger. I have nobody to leave the house to and if something happened before I could sell it, that would be unfortunate. I thought a reverse mortgage would be a good idea. That way I wouldn't have to worry about it if something happened to me. I was going to go with the company that was most popular but Finance of America Reverse was next on the line in the list. I called and loved the gal that I talked to. She was the only one who sent me a package and and everything was in it.

I had studied on reverse mortgage and I had experience with my own parents so it was something I had in the back of my main mind. I was ready and all I had to do was call somebody and take up the lesson. It went so easily. Monica was exceptional and I love her. She was right on top of things every step of the way. It took a couple of months, which was just right. We closed and I'm happy. I also had an A-1 experience from the girl who came for the closing. I would recommend that company to anybody.

I got the money that I wanted and the terms were wonderful. The reverse mortgage was more than I expected. I had taken out a loan to build up credit even though I have good credit and they paid that off for me and I'm very satisfied with everything. It's nice to know that there are alternatives somewhere and you don't have to be stuck somewhere. It works well for me, not having any family. I came from Rhode Island and I got back four months out of the year. I built a house up there with my kid brother and hopefully, I'll be buried there. That was why I wanted to make sure I had something solid that I could depend on if something happened to me.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

My mother ran out of options and had to do a reverse mortgage. The process with Finance of America Reverse was done for the vast majority via email, telephone calls, credit counseling and it took less than two weeks. We hit one snag for a couple of things that were on her credit report that we had to get clarified. But it was like six to eight weeks and it was done. I'm impressed by how fast it was and how easy it was as far as just getting the information that they needed. It was just very streamlined. Finance of America Reverse made it so that my mother can stay in her house and it was overall a good experience.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I had been thinking that a reverse mortgage would be something that I would be interested in doing and I had called one other finance company and they told me, “Oh no no. You just don’t qualify. Don’t even bother.” But when I got a hold of Finance of America Reverse their rep, Tamara, said, "Let's get going.” And she explained to me that the government was changing so we’d have to get under a certain timezone and and I would get more benefits than less as long as I got under that umbrella then the old way would still apply to me. So we started with that and then once we started then everything took off from there.

Tamara was Godsend all the way through. She’s just totally amazing. A lot of people are negative about the reverse mortgage and that’s fine because not everything is for everybody anyway but it did work for me. I thought the application process was very involved and I wish I would have known that part of it. I also wish it would have been less but then I understand too. There is a process that had to be done. There was a lot to take in. From start to finish it took two days. At the end finally everything went through the way it was supposed to. For awhile we thought we weren't going to go through and then it did and that was a big plus.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

We talked to a young lady from Finance of America that seemed very helpful. And the process of getting a reverse mortgage turned out to be very very long. We compiled financial records and indebtedness and everything like that. The underwriting took longer than anything. It took more than two months. They could have expedited the underwriting process a lot. They kept wanting more and more information of stuff that was really to my way of thinking non-relative to getting the reverse mortgage. But the loan officer, Bonnie, was very helpful, very pleasant to deal with and she was just a real sweetheart to deal with over the phone. I was impressed by her seeming dedication to helping to get this thing done. She did everything she could do.

We had a review of the house and then at closing those two folks were really not evasive or anything like that. It was just a few questions that they couldn’t really answer without calling someone else. So they could have been a little sharper on knowing their business. But they called once they got the answer. We had a reverse mortgage before on a home we had in Colorado and that was a very simple process and here it seemed to be really long. And I don’t know if that’s Texas or if it's between Texas and Colorado. But Finance of America helped us get things done and once we signed all the documents they took care of everything from their end.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I’m 80 years old, so I’m not making any long-term plans. Getting a reverse mortgage was a part of my drop-dead plan, so I decided to get one from Finance of America. I’ve also contacted another company, but I got turned off right away because there was too much high-pressure stuff that it was like talking to a used car salesman. Finance of America also did rush me a little bit, and were in a bigger hurry than I usually am, but it was all right. Their representative was very helpful, concerned, and seemed to get everything lined up waiting on me. She was nice enough, and she impressed me. The process was explained enough and it took a couple of weeks.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

The way the rep of Finance of America Reverse conducted himself during the phone call stood out to me. He was not trying to sell us a product. He was just low key and was just trying to inform us and that became a very helpful conversation. I hope that all of their representatives are the same. There were also many options to choose from. While with other companies that I had spoken with it was just all about their product. Whereas Robert from Finance of America was more like, "Here I am, I'm going to help you. This is what my company offers. Do you know about this?" I'm very comfortable working with him.

It was a very difficult process but it was due to our own circumstances. It took about 9 months and we had to do a lot of court work but when we started my mother entered hospice then she passed away and then we had to move everything to my father’s name. So it was more of a unique situation for us. The process would have been totally different had not all these things occurred to us.

But there is a part of the application process where someone else calls me and explains to me exactly what we're doing, asks me questions and assesses the individual to make sure they're making good decisions. And when I say individuals we are talking about the seniors. So I thought that was a good process to put in in the application. A lot of times seniors are taken advantage of but taking those classes and making sure that you knew what you were doing I think that was very good for the application process. Also the rate and terms of the reverse mortgage was competitive. I would definitely recommend them. I would tell friends to go ahead and use them.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I already had a reverse mortgage so I had already gone through all the hoops two years ago. The process was fairly simple and when I remarried I wanted my wife's name on the mortgage. She had to go through counseling. The only hiccup in the whole thing was that because I was using the same company that already held the existing reverse mortgage I was assuming that they knew that I wanted the monthly stipend, which is what I had the first time and unfortunately they wrote it up where you can withdraw the money as you need it in lump sums and I did not want to do that.

We had some hassles trying to go back to the monthly stipends. So I went a month without any income from that existing mortgage or the new mortgage, so that was tough. Also the bad thing was that the monthly stipend is less than what it was before even though the house was valued or appraised at almost $100,000 more than it was two years ago. But the agent that I work with, Scott, was excellent. He was very easy to work with and actually a pleasure. I already let 2 other people know what's involved and kind of walked them through it a little bit.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

A reverse mortgage seemed like the easier way to go for me at this point of my life so I got one through Finance of America. The guy who assisted me, John, was really phenomenal. He walked me through it. The people that came here were very, very nice and they were all local people, which is good too. The application and underwriting took about three months but that was because I had to replace a few windows. I'm up in the mountains. It took time to get the glass. But I like that it was easy and very personable.

They sent someone here and they explained everything page by page as we went along. It was just all done really, really well. The counseling service part was also really good. He told me the other ways I could go. Then I had time to make this decision. I didn’t have to jump into it. He was really very helpful. I'm much more at ease now. I don’t have to worry about losing my house or not being able to pay the taxes because I was leaning on my son a lot to do that. That wasn’t really fair to him either. This is much better. I'm still independent. I have a few friends that have been asking me and I recommend Finance of America, especially John. If I had a question he called me right back. I wasn’t like waiting days to hear from this person. That's a big help because sometimes they don’t call you back but John was right on top of it.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

My retirement ran out and I needed help but nobody gave me any help. I didn’t want to do a reverse mortgage but I had to. I went online and Finance of America Reverse called me and they seemed to be the best. I had to go through counseling, we filled out a whole bunch of papers, and then they had to come and appraise the house and did the rest. It took about a month and I was right at the end where they were changing financials. I had to pay more and do stuff that the government was changing. They even called me up to say I was locked in but asked if I mind waiting a week or so until they get all the other little people locked in. It was going crazy. The rate is supposed to be 4.5 but I haven't got a good paper back from them yet. Still, I feel it should be a little bit lower considering it's all my money, the house is paid off, and I had no mortgage on my house.

Then there's also a big comeback. They took all my money out of my house and put it aside for paying the taxes for the next 20 years. I didn’t like what they do with the taxes but that was the only way I was going to get money. I had the house since ’96 and never had anybody pay my taxes but me. Other than that, the loan officer was great and she helped me right and left anywhere we could. She gave us her home phone number that we could call back and forth if we had any questions. I was pleased with her and she really did a fantastic job and even bent over backwards.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Barbara from Finance of America Reverse did a very good job. I dealt with her all the time compared to everybody else and I felt very comfortable. She was never pushy and she made me aware when things were going to change. She also kept me informed. It was explained well that I don’t pay anything back unless I sell the house or die and they sell the house. Or if I live long enough and the interest gets higher than the loan value of the house, I still only get back what they sold it for. Obtaining the mortgage was a lot of paperwork, which I though was crazy. Other than that, it was fine and I would do it again if I had to.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Finance of America's representative, Ellen, was absolutely phenomenal. She was worried about me and her communication was super. She gave me a lot of paperwork, though, and I didn't know if I'd ever get through it. But I've got what I needed, and it has been great. The application process wasn’t too bad, and I'm going to get a new kitchen now that I'm working with Finance of America.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

My husband passed away in March so, I needed to figure out how I was going to afford to stay in my home. I was checking around the different lending companies and I happened to speak to a person from Finance of America Reverse that I felt confident in. I felt that I was being treated fairly in the way I would have expected and I was given the information I needed since I wasn't that familiar with reverse mortgages. His name was Joshua and he was such a nice guy. I was impressed with his general manner, politeness, and willingness to help me. I had a few bumps in the road that made me upset but he was able to work with me on that. We were able to straighten it out but it took a long time for the reverse mortgage to go though.

I applied in June and I didn't get settled until November. I had some medical bills that were outstanding that have been taken to small claims which my husband was taking care of and I didn't know anything about. But Finance of America Reverse wanted a letter stating what that was all about. Then I had to rewrite the letter quite a few times. At first, Joshua didn't call me right away to tell me that I had been denied. A while went by without me knowing I wasn't going to be approved but by the time I got all my information together, my application got approved and the mortgage went through. Even the person who came to do the paperwork with me was asking why it was taking so long.

Other than that, everybody was extremely helpful and polite. The information they gave me was great, though, their rates could be a lot less. I could have also hoped that it would have ended up with more money at the end. But that has nothing to do with Finance of America. Working with them has given me peace of mind since I know that I don't have to worry about my monthly mortgage now. I'm sorry I will eventually lose my home but my children were all fine with that. It's not a big expensive home and they feel like if I can stay here, that's the most important thing. So it was a very good experience for me and I'm very happy I went that route. I tell my friends that they should call Finance of America Reverse and that everybody there will accommodate them in any way they can.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

We just completed a reverse mortgage with Finance of America. The experience was excellent. Our primary contact, Barbara **, was terrific. We had some issues and she helped us work through each and every one with patience, kindness and professionalism. We can't say enough good things about Barbara and the experience. We also worked with Julie ** for the final processing and, she too, was efficient and professional. Barbara made the experience transparent and successful. I would recommend Finance of America to my friends and family.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Finance of America Reverse gave me a good deal. The application process went quickly. There weren't too many problems or anything, so it was good. The rep did all she could do for me, which was quite a bit. So, I'm happy. The interest rate was high though and it was hard to get anything cheaper. But with the reverse mortgage that I got, I don’t have to pay my mortgage every month and that’s what I was after. I'm retired, but I'm still working and the mortgage payment really helps me. So, I'm glad I went that way.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

We didn’t feel like we had anything in investment that could take care of us, and since we didn’t want to sell the house and move at our age, we decided to go with a reverse mortgage. The guy from Finance of America Reverse who helped us, Matt, is absolutely fantastic. He went to bat for us and got our loan up. We had one other guy come out and he was so far out with the total amount. We also had another appraisal over, and their prices were the same. They were not as close as what Matt had. He also told us, “If you have any questions, let me know. Even after you get the mortgage, I will continue to be here if you have any questions whatsoever.” He went so far as to give his personal phone number to us, which is very unusual for a salesperson to do. He took care of us in every aspect, and he wasn't pushy. It’s been a pleasure working with him and Finance of America.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

The finance that we had was coming up on a balloon so we started looking at different options and decided to go with the reverse mortgage. It seemed like a very good idea at the time. Finance of America Reverse was the most helpful so I went with them. Their rates and term were 10 times better than what we had. Their loan officer, Didi was very helpful with the procedures and in getting through the process, which was standard. We just have to show them our incomes and savings and we had to have house inspections, the normal routine. The whole process took a couple of months and Didi was there all the time whenever I had a question.

Finance of America Reverse has taken a bit of worry off our minds. If something comes up that we have to miss a payment, we can do it now. Having that cushion and that safety net out there is very comforting for me and my wife. Overall, they were very good. I stopped the application at one point because we thought we were going a different direction. But two or three weeks later, I went back to Didi and told here that I would like to continue on and she just picked it up immediately right where we left off. It was a very positive experience all the way through.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Finance of America Reverse had somebody come out to the house. Cyndi, the lady that we talked to made a good deal for us so we went with them. She did a good job. She kept us informed of what was going on and she got things going and got them done quickly, and we just moved right along and got things done. She was really comfortable to work with. She's right on top of things and any questions we had, she had the right answer for us. We got a good rate and we got good terms. Their application process was quick and thorough. The process took a couple of weeks by the time we got the appraisal. They seemed honest with us. They always follow the options we've had and we made our choice with no pressure, and all went well. Finance of America seemed like we would get the most out of a reverse mortgage, money-wise. Therefore, I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I needed some money then so I applied for a reverse mortgage. Since I was getting better results from Finance of America, I chose them. I just got an appraisal and they did the rest. Their application process took about six months to complete. My loan officer, Diana was very pleasant and very understanding. I was very pleased with them. I would recommend Finance of America Reverse.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

We worked with another company earlier but at that time, we had too much of a balance and we would have to pay down a lot more to get the reverse mortgage. We decided to try it with a different company and my husband saw a TV ad for Finance of America Reverse. The process of getting our mortgage was very smooth and our loan officer, Katie, was great. She got us to the right people and we talked to them. We did what we had to do and everything was done in a very timely manner. The process took a month and it was a lot smoother than going with the other company. Also, we didn’t have a lot of issues of waiting for the paperwork to come because it was all done.

It was the smoothest mortgage we’ve ever done and we’ve had several homes that we’ve done mortgages with over the years. And life has been a lot easier since I retired last month. Now, we don’t have a big mortgage payment to make every month. If I know of anybody that’s looking into it, I will definitely give them Katie’s name and number and tell them to go ahead and get it through them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I wanted to do some work in the house. I talked to a lot of people about Finance of America Reverse who seemed to have the best suggestion for me at that time so I tried them up. They came out, inspected and checked what the value of the house was. And then, we sat down and had a conference with a person who explained the whole ordeal and had to talk to a counselor before that. The loan officer was helpful as well. He explained the real details to me. However, sometimes when I ask them with certain things I didn’t understand, they had to talk to a certain person first before they get back with me. They also told me there'd be more taxes based on our credit which in the long run, came up better for me.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Finance of America's application process was very straightforward and everything was explained. There was a lot of paperwork, but other than that though, everything went fine. My loan officer was great right from the start to the finish. I was impressed with her knowledge in explaining everything and she answered all my questions. My experience was very good, and working with Finance of America helped out a lot.

Finance of America Reverse Company Information

www.fareverse.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use