2. Reverse Mortgages
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.67/5

Finance of America Reverse is one of the premiere reverse mortgage lenders in the United States. Since 2003, FAR has been providing homeowners age 62 and older with the financial independence they deserve while preparing for or during retirement. By utilizing home equity for a retirement asset, these savvy homeowners are able to strengthen and lengthen their retirement plans.

Finance of America Reverse LLC NMLS ID #2285

BOTTOM LINE

Finance of America Reverse offers a wide selection of reverse mortgage products for standard and jumbo loans. FAR reverse mortgage specialists are knowledgeable about retirement finances and help you through the entire process.

PROS

• Competitive fixed interest rates
  • Price-match guarantee
  • Loans up to $4 million

CONS

• Proprietary product only in 26 states

Top Finance of America Reverse Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Finance of America Reverse?

I wanted to free up the cash we were spending on payments to enjoy our life more and Finance of America Reverse has taken some stress out of my life. Compared to other companies, they were more straightforward and they broke down everything where I could understand it better…

Everything went really well with my experience with Finance of America. Their rep was very knowledgeable about reverse mortgages… He was there and he answered any questions I had. I couldn't ask for anyone better than him. I would recommend Finance of America Reverse Mortgage.

Finance of America Reverse Call Now Toll Free (218) 282-4772 Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

About Finance of America Reverse

Finance of America Reverse (FAR) provides financial options for retirees who want to pay off their mortgage early, cash in on their home's equity and move into a new house without dealing with a new mortgage payment. As a wholesale lender, FAR works with independent mortgage brokers to originate reverse mortgages. Finance of America Reverse wholesale loan products includes HECMs, HECM for purchase, HomeSafe and refinancing.

Expert mortgage specialists at FAR help you select the best reverse mortgage for your financial situation. FAR reverse mortgage products can eliminate your mortgage payments and give you access to more cash each month.

How does HomeSafe work?

A FAR HomeSafe reverse mortgage loan pays off an existing mortgage, and the borrower keeps the remainder of the funds. Unlike regular reverse mortgage loans, which cap at $765,600, Finance of America jumbo reverse mortgage amounts can increase to $4 million. Depending on the HomeSafe option, you can get cash in a lump sum or in payments over time.

Like most reverse mortgage loans, a HomeSafe loan only needs to be repaid when the borrower permanently leaves the home. HomeSafe loans are non-recourse loans that do not require monthly payments. However, the borrower is responsible for paying taxes and insurance on their house.

HomeSafe loan limits are higher than conventional HECM loans and offer many of the same protections and features. HomeSafe is typically available to homeowners over the age of 60 with some equity, though homeowners in Texas and Utah must be 62. The age of the borrower, the appraised value of the home and the type of loan selected determine HomeSafe loan amounts. Credits are allowed for HECM to HomeSafe refinances, but not for HomeSafe to HomeSafe refinances.

Finance of America Reverse HomeSafe options

Finance of America's Homesafe options let you replace your current home loan with a reverse mortgage. The company currently offers two HomeSafe options: HomeSafe Standard and HomeSafe Select. Both options have a fixed rate option, no origination fees and lender credits for closing costs.

HomeSafe Standard

HomeSafe Standard is a full-draw reverse mortgage loan with fixed rate options and no origination fee. Other HomeSafe Standard fees are comparable to HELOC and second mortgages, but borrowers can get more cash at closing since the lender credits for customary closing costs. HomeSafe Standard offers four (three in New York) rates and loan-to-value (LTV) ratio tiers, with purchase transactions also available.HomeSafe Standard is best for those who want to increase their cash flow without up-front out-of-pocket expenses. HomeSafe Standard is available in the following states:

• Arizona
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Washington

HomeSafe Select

HomeSafe Select is a loan option similar to a HELOC but with the benefits of a reverse mortgage — borrowers get access to a line of credit but don’t have to make monthly payments except for taxes, homeowners insurance and property charges. There’s no origination fee or minimum draw amount, and HomeSafe Select loans come with an adjustable rate. HomeSafe Select is best for those who want the comfort of a line of credit with the opportunity to keep building equity if they're going to make more payments. HomeSafe Second is available in the following states:

• California
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Washington, D.C.

Finance of America Reverse FAQ

How does FAR calculate funds?
Finance of America Reverse uses a proprietary reverse mortgage calculator to determine loan amounts, or principal limits, based on a borrower’s age, the type of HECM product they want, expected interest rate, closing costs and the appraised home value.
How is HomeSafe different from a traditional reverse mortgage?
HomeSafe has higher loan limits than FHA-insured HECM loans, and borrowers get more competitive fixed interest rates.
Who is eligible for a FAR HomeSafe loan?
Homeowners who are 60 or older with some equity are eligible for HomeSafe reverse mortgages. In Texas and Utah, the minimum age is 62.
Do I have to get an appraisal to get HomeSafe?
Yes, you must pay for a home appraisal to determine the current value of your property.
Where are Finance of America Reverse locations?
Finance of America Reverse has offices located in San Diego, New York, Tulsa and Indianapolis.

Do we recommend Finance of America Reverse?

Yes. Finance of America Reverse offers a wide selection of reverse mortgages for standard and jumbo loans. FAR reverse mortgage specialists are knowledgeable about retirement finances and help through the entire process. There have been very few Finance of America complaints in the last year. Finance of America Reverse mortgage reviews points out the company's knowledgeable reverse mortgage specialists, professional customer service and reasonable terms.

Finance of America Reverse Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Finance of America Reverse?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

We didn't have any savings and all our money was tied up in the house. I was looking at companies that had more of the business and kind of sorted out some things on the internet. I also checked with AAG and it seemed like Finance of America Reverse was gonna do it faster. I got a call from Finance of America that they would waive the origination fee and I had to stay with them on account of that. Other people couldn't waive that.

The process wasn't too bad although it seemed like there was some misinformation along the line. I had done a refinance on my line of credit and I found out I had to wait a year. I went through a lot of trouble doing that. We went through and got the appraisal. But they didn't apparently know that they couldn't run it through. I wasn't holding any information back. I had to wait a year after we had it approved the first time it had the appraisal. It was going to go through underwriting because of that so we waited out the six months and then did it with Finance of America. I started it in October last year and our time was gonna be up in early July so we started the program nine days before that. It pretty well went the end of July before we got it done. But it was a little slow. I was pretty trapped because I had to get the appraisal.

Autumn was my loan officer. She couldn't get responses from the people that made the decisions. Finding out anything about the status of things and getting answers seemed to take too much time. But it wasn't her fault. It was just that maybe they had so much business they were slow to get back to her. But it would be nice if Finance of America was more responsive to their loan officer.

There were also a couple of other things that seemed like nonsense with the underwriter like needing information that didn't make sense. One of them was our income or Social Security and we needed to get an award letter. The first page has all the data on it. The second page tells you what to do if you have a problem. They just had to have the second page which we didn't have. I was forced to go online. You can't get another copy of the award letter. They'll give you a printout of what you're getting and that's all you could get. It seemed like the underwriter should have been able to take the page with "award letter" on it. It was the one that had all the data on it. After all, why should I keep it? There's nothing on there that was of any value on that second page.

It was the same thing with the bank statements. If you had a blank page, they wanted to get the blank page. Nobody cares about what the fine print was. But the underwriter had to have that. I had to redo some things for that and give them all the fine print of what the conditions were on the bank statements. It seemed like they were new at this in underwriting.

We had trouble with the appraisal too. Last year when I had the appraisal done, it came in at 370,000. But the appraisal I did this time came in at 408,000 and that seemed to bother them so they had the appraisal done again and it came in at 369,500 which was what they went with. We had a lot of improvements on the house. We probably put nearly 100,000 into improvements. We had to get the insurance raised. We had to get it approved with the insurance company that we had all this done so I had to send pictures so that they could legally raise the insurance policy which they did.

Otherwise, the terms and rates I got were good. When you can waive the origination fee, it's worth all the aggravation. That saved over $4000 or $5,000 on the finance charges on the closing cost. If it wasn't for waive in the origination fee, I would have probably gone with AAG, which wouldn't have had as many troubles.

Get buying tips about Reverse Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

The application process was irritating. It was a lot of repetitive information I kept having to send in. There was a lot of information they require because I was in a trust and I really focused on getting it done. The way it was explained to me was they couldn't use the same information for the second set of questions they were asking me. The processors would ask for something and then they would ask for dual documents that I had sent in before.

When I started the process, it was right at the beginning of this COVID thing and people started working from home. So it was right during the initial part of the shutdown and it was like a two-week delay because something was closed. But it wasn't anything that had to do with Finance of America Reverse. One gal had gone on vacation and they assigned all the work to her so they had to go back. But they were trying to gear up for the process so I didn't blame them intentionally. The process took six weeks and it should’ve taken four.

I liked my loan officer as a person, but I am a very strong-willed person. We got along well and we got the process done, but she was pretty rude. But we always got over the hurdle. I had a thing with my name and it created a little bit of an issue. My legal name is Rancie and that was not what it was supposed to be, so they started calling me Rance. So when I went to school, I was always Rance. When I first titled this house, it was titled in the name of Rance because that's the way all the paperwork was done.

We got into kind of a hassle over that because I kept sending in the information, saying this is an alias that I use. But my loan officer got real objectionable saying, “Well, they can't cut you a check unless they send it to Rancie.” But I didn't have a checking account with Rancie on. All my checking accounts had Rance on them. So I said, “Fine, send me a check.” When they sent me the check, they sent the check to Rance. So I was frustrated because of the argumentation that I went through, and the things that I had to do to get my name changed on a different account just in case they wanted to send the check.

The Navy Federal issued the title and everything else in Rance and she kept saying that they couldn't do that. She made more of an issue out of that than it was, and it irritated me. I'm 67 years old. Don't give me a hard time, and because I sold reverse mortgages, I know they could do it. It was not the fact that they couldn't issue me a check, she was just being hardheaded and stubborn because the underwriters were being hardheaded and stubborn, or that was what she was telling me. It really ticked me off. We got to where we were raising our voices to each other over that one.

The whole process was great. They do the process and then I get all this information from Celink. Now, they're sending it back to Finance of America Reverse. None of that makes sense to me. But the funding was done through Celink, which was a mortgage company. They had lost because I live in a townhome. I insure the inside of the building and the association insures the outside of the building. That was the thing that kept tying us up because they couldn't get in touch with the one gal at the insurance company that did the paperwork. That was my two-week delay. It wasn't Finance of America Reverse. It was my insurance company because only one gal did all that work and I had to wait for her to get back from vacation. I had to do all the legwork calling my managers, but it all got done.

I don't have any bills, which is nice. I'm totally debt-free. My FICO score is like 811. So, there was nothing that was objectionable. They under appraised my house by about 10 grand, which I didn't care because it didn’t make that much difference in the cash out. So the things that most people might say frustrating, I didn't care. My house was worth 275,000 to 285,000, and they came back at 265,000. I was fine with that because I'm gonna live here till I die anyway, so I don't care. I would refer Finance of America Reverse. I'm more into doing business with smaller companies instead of the big name ones that are floating around all the time.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

In my circumstances, I had investigated reverse mortgages and they're certainly not for everybody. But the two limitations, which would be passing your property along to any heirs was not a problem for me and not a requirement nor was the requirement to stay in the house over a long period of time. I'm happy with the residence and I intend and want to stay here. At the end, it was as if I had a paid-off house with no more obligations or cost than if I did own the house free and clear. So, that gave me enhanced cash flow and a more comfortable retirement.

I was contacted by a representative from Finance of America Reverse and she was awesome. I owe her a complimentary letter that she can share with her supervisors. She was extremely good through the entire process. I had already done research on my own. She reviewed, asked me initially why I was interested in this and what I was trying to achieve. I explained to her and she said that would be a good fit as a profile for someone that should look at a reverse mortgage. She sent me initial information and then very quickly sent me a quotation for how she would expect the funding to go, the cost and what I would have in terms of resources after the mortgage was completed. Then we made the application. She kept in great communication all the way through the process.

I checked with another top-rated reverse mortgage company for a competitive quote and found that they were more money than what I had been initially quoted from Finance of America. But upon informing my agent, which I did out of fairness to her, she was able to reduce the anticipated closing cost of my loan by a couple of thousand dollars. So, they started off being highly competitive and became even more so. She followed it completely and was informative. I never once had to call and ask what's going on. The process moved very quickly considering that any kind of mortgage or financing is not a fast process. Everything happened exactly as she described it and there were no hitches or problems along the way. So far, I've had no issues with the organization themselves.

The rates were competitive and we'll see if I made the right choice. I went with the variable rate based on their projections of what that rate would be over time and if you expect it to be. It's certainly the better rate for now. Anyone that's looking to go for a reverse mortgage needs to clearly understand that by the unique nature of it and the type of mortgage insurance policy that is required so that you're never upside down in the note or in the loan, it's not something that you wanna do as a short-term solution to financial problem. You would wanna stay in the house and keep this mortgage in place for a number of years to be able to come out because it's a more expensive financing package, initially. But other than that, from previous experiences, it was a comparable cost as far as the other services and fees.

My agent was superb and my entire assessment of their organization up to this point is based on my experience with her. I haven’t needed to draw any money from them. I’ve not had any other needs. Because by the nature of it, you sit back and I get a monthly statement that shows the activity on the account because since you don’t make payments, your account balance increases each month, but that’s the point. If she is typical of their agents and the attitude of the company, I am extremely impressed and I would recommend her to anybody that I know in a heartbeat.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

The reverse mortgage allowed me to monetize the significant investment that we have in our house for retirement purposes, as opposed to some other form of asset utilization. So it augments our savings and investments and it still leaves us with the security of the house that we have without having to concern ourselves with monthly mortgage payments. AIG inspired me to pursue it. They have a very positive and upbeat marketing campaign on television that kinda alerted me to the benefits of reverse mortgage. I had communication with AIG and followed that pathway. Once I had decided that I was primarily interested in a reverse mortgage, I began to look for other competitors, such as Finance of America Reverse to see if their rates and terms were more advantageous than AIG. And I found that they were.

So despite being drawn into this by AIG and Tom Selleck and all the advertising, which I really enjoyed, I found that the competitive rates that they offered were not as attractive as reverse mortgage. So I went through Finance of America Reverse. I talked with a particular person named Tim, who was the agent. He was very helpful and very communicative. He had good business sense, which I appreciated. We worked our program out over the course of the next 60 days and getting an appraisal and etcetera. He was on the spot all the time. He was a very, very, very good communicator and very knowledgeable, which really helped me understand the process.

Tim was much more aware of the values, the upsides and the downsides than the agent that I spoke with at AIG. I didn't feel the AIG person was a mature business person and it was more like a person that was kind of an administrator. Whereas Tim really had a good sense of value in business, and he understood my situation. We were able to consummate a deal with the amount that I needed to borrow up front, the rate that I would get, the ongoing program, and the increase in the mortgage amount opportunity over AIG. So when it came down in the tranche comparison, Finance of America Reverse was much more favorable to me than AIG would have been.

The opportunity to have funds available to a mid six-figure level or a low middle six-figure level is quite advantageous, because now, I'm working off of my equity, having monetized the value of the house without creating any particular financial hardships. It removes some pressure on us to use only assets. The fluctuations in stock market and bond market values can drastically alter your sense of stability. Whereas, I have a backstop of several hundred thousand dollars to the reverse mortgage that I can use. So I'm not dependent on timing my market investments or withdrawals. Finance of America Reverse exceeded my expectations because they had been set at a lower bar having had an experience with AIG. There were a few bumps, but that was expected. It was a very positive experience.

Original review: April 10, 2020

Finance of America was rated the best. I had gone online and looked at companies. I also talked with several other companies but I liked the way Finance of America responded quickly. I liked the person that I was talking to. She seemed very knowledgeable and very experienced, although she was a little talky. Still, the process went very smoothly. I was happy with everything except the appraisal process. I didn’t feel the appraisal was anything close to what it should be. The guy was older than me and I'm 80. He came with his appraisal already in hand without seeing my house and staying in the neighborhood. He had gone online and took comparable sales that I knew were not comparable because I've been in the homes that he was using for comps. The comparable that he used were terrible.

A home sold for over 300,000 in my neighborhood and it was not nearly as nice as mine. It's not on the lake. It doesn’t have the fountain. It's not on the golf course. It doesn’t have the upgrades. We've redone the bath with quartz and the kitchen. We’ve done so many upgrades. But the appraisal guy came and said I'm at 260,000. He did say that my house is slightly better than many but the golf course and the lake couldn’t be take into consideration. He said “they” wouldn’t let him put that in. Who’s “they”? Also, they won’t allow those to be put in. What kind of a comp is that? It was absolutely atrocious for somebody to come out, quote and make an appraisal but they already had it done.

I probably wouldn’t have gone with it because it was upsetting but at the same time, I was not selling the house. I was just taking a loan on it and I didn’t need all the money that I am allowed to take. So I thought it really didn’t make a darn what they put on it and I think I made the right call. I'm glad I did it because my daughter got laid off yesterday after 20 years, which seems to be the normal thing that’s going on now. If I need to help my kids, I have the cash instantly available. So I'm really happy with the company.

I also liked the idea of having cash available and being able to stay in the home that I want. Now that there’s the coronavirus, I think this is a good place to be confined if we have to be. I've been in the neighborhood for 20 years. I love the house as I'm sitting here imprisoned looking at my wall and a nice little lake with a fountain and ducks. Our golf course is still open and we're really close to groceries – all the things that seniors need. So I could stay here and be as comfortable as anybody. If I have to, I can also go to a nursing home and have cash available. Then Marge could stay here.

Marge is my life partner and she's younger than I am. We're not married but we do live together and she's 75. I wondered whether I really wanted to do this. What if something happens to me long before her? But she's got a year and then she has a power of attorney. She can set the house up for sale or buy it herself. All the options are hers. If you go on the internet today, one thing says the reverse mortgage is the greatest since canned soup but the next one says not to go there under any circumstances. But I felt like the company really came through. With the way they explained things, they made me go through everything and I felt very knowledgeable.

I had gone to Quicken Loans before and it was just the opposite experience. I got a very young person with zero experience who tried to rush the thing through. The percentage was wrong. I said, “Wait a minute,” and he said, “Oh, well, I can fix that.” He went to his boss and changed things two or three times. I thought, “No, I don’t wanna do that.” At Finance of America, in comparison, the reps seemed very knowledgeable and quick. It was also funny because it was coast to coast. They are a California-based company and I'm in Florida but everything was overnight. The person that came and signed the papers was even the same person that I used twice. They allowed me to do that because somebody that really knew what they were doing didn’t take any of my time. It was completely the opposite of the appraisal guy.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

I had two mortgages and I wanted to combine them. I wanted to pull some money out. When I looked at everything overall, I felt like the best thing for me at that moment was to do a reverse mortgage. I spoke with a number of reverse mortgage people. I spoke to brokers as well as direct ones. Finally, I chose Finance of America Reverse. They sent me papers to make sure that I had them and I filled them out. They sent a notary public to have me sign stuff twice. I had to dig up a couple of things because my former husband was still on the title and he wasn't supposed to be. We had to take care of that. It all happened in about 30 days and it was all done.

The terms I got are fine. It is what it is. But the rates are a little high. That doesn't mean though that in the near future, I can't switch out of a reverse mortgage and go back to a 30-year one. On the whole, I had a terrific experience. Working with Finance of America Reverse made my life a lot easier. They were really a delight to work with. And the guy that was out of Indianapolis was very attentive. He got everything done when he said he would. Their office staff was excellent too.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I was talking to an AAG person then I received a lot of different calls from different agencies doing reverse mortgages. I settled on the ones that I felt were gonna be best for us. I went with Finance of America Reverse over the rest as I liked their policy better than the other ones that I was looking into. The process went a lot smoother than things were gonna go and it took maybe two months total after everything. Everything has gone smoothly. I'm really glad that we chose to go this direction. It's very beneficial for us.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I wanted to reduce my monthly expenses and have cash to do home improvements. I sought a reverse mortgage and the process at Finance of America was horrible due to the requirements in New York. We started the process and it was put on hold because New York instituted rules and regulations that reverse mortgage companies had to adjust to. Finance of America adjusted and I met the new requirements. All in all, the process took about five months. The loan officer who worked with me was great. I've never come across somebody so patient. I could imagine what she was putting with. While the closing costs were ridiculous, the interest rate I got was great.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

I'm getting on in years and I was looking for a way to get some equity out of my home. The numbers presented by Finance of America Reverse were ahead of the other two companies that I looked at. I spent a lot of time looking at their options and their rep Francesca helped me all the way. She was friendly and knowledgeable. There was a lot more paperwork involved in the process than I would have ever imagined but it all went through quickly and smoothly. I got a fair amount of equity out through them. I'm very pleased with my experience with Finance of America.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

We were very happy with our experience. But especially we enjoyed our interaction with Tim **. TIM made the experience so much better and I there were stressful times, but Tim got us through it. I think he called us everyday and we got addicted to his calls and we miss him. Overall Finance of America Reverse was a excellent experience!

Finance of America Reverse Company Information