2. Reverse Mortgages

4.5/5 (357 ratings)

About Finance of America Reverse

Finance of America Reverse (FAR) provides HECMs, HECMs for Purchase, jumbo loans and refinancing reverse mortgages for homeowners aged 60 and up. Its HomeSafe plans require no origination fees, and homeowners can borrow up to $4 million from the company. FAR’s products and requirements vary by state.

Pros

• Refinancing options
  • Loans up to $4 million
  • No origination fees

Cons

• Proprietary product only in 26 states

Bottom Line

Finance of America Reverse offers a wide selection of reverse mortgage products for standard and jumbo loans up to $4 million. For some products, the company charges no origination fees or mortgage insurance premiums.

Top Finance of America Reverse Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I called Finance of America Reverse and we got a fantastic guy... He did a good job. We did the process on the phone and it was fantastic. Every time he learned about a problem, h...

Verified

Most professional experience I have ever had with a financial business. Great follow through. Fantastic customer support. Honest, no run-around whatsoever, and a pleasure to work ...

About Finance of America Reverse

Finance of America Reverse (FAR) provides financial options for retirees who want to pay off their mortgage early, cash in on their home's equity and move into a new house without dealing with a new mortgage payment. FAR works with independent mortgage brokers to originate reverse mortgages, and the company’s wholesale loan products include HECMs, HECMs for Purchase, HomeSafe and refinancing.

Mortgage employees at Finance of America Reverse help you select the best reverse mortgage for your financial situation. The company’s reverse mortgage products can eliminate your monthly mortgage payments and give you access to more cash each month.

How does HomeSafe work?

A FAR HomeSafe reverse mortgage loan pays off an existing mortgage, and the borrower keeps the remainder of the funds. Unlike government-insured reverse mortgage loans, which have much lower caps, Finance of America’s reverse mortgage amounts can reach up to $4 million. Depending on the HomeSafe option, you can receive cash in a lump sum, payments over time or a line of credit.

Like most reverse mortgage loans, a HomeSafe loan only needs to be repaid when the borrower permanently leaves the home. HomeSafe loans are non-recourse loans that don’t require monthly payments. However, the borrower is responsible for paying taxes and insurance on their house.

HomeSafe loan limits are higher than conventional HECM loans and offer many of the same protections and features. HomeSafe is typically available to homeowners over the age of 60 with some equity, though homeowners in North Carolina, Texas and Utah must be 62. The age of the borrower, the appraised value of the home and the type of loan determine HomeSafe’s loan amounts.

Finance of America Reverse’s HomeSafe options

Finance of America's HomeSafe options let you replace your current home loan with a reverse mortgage. The company currently offers two HomeSafe options: HomeSafe Standard and HomeSafe Select. Both options have no monthly mortgage insurance premiums or origination fees.

HomeSafe Standard

HomeSafe Standard is a full-draw reverse mortgage loan with fixed-rate options and no origination fees. Other HomeSafe Standard fees are comparable to those of HELOC and second mortgages, but borrowers can get more cash at closing because the lender credits customary closing costs. HomeSafe Standard is ideal for homeowners who want to increase their cash flow without upfront out-of-pocket expenses. HomeSafe Standard is available in the following states:

• Arizona
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Washington

HomeSafe Select

HomeSafe Select is a loan option similar to a HELOC but with the benefits of a reverse mortgage — borrowers get access to a line of credit but don’t have to make monthly payments except for on taxes, homeowners insurance and property charges. There’s no origination fee or minimum draw amount, and HomeSafe Select loans come with an adjustable rate.

HomeSafe Select is best for those who want the comfort of a line of credit with the opportunity to keep building equity if they're going to make more payments.

HomeSafe Select is available in the following states:

• California
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Washington, D.C.

Finance of America Reverse FAQ

How does FAR calculate funds?
Finance of America Reverse uses a proprietary reverse mortgage calculator to determine loan amounts, or principal limits, based on a borrower’s age, the type of HECM product they want, expected interest rate, mortgage balance, closing costs and the appraised home value.
How is HomeSafe different from a traditional reverse mortgage?
HomeSafe has higher loan limits than FHA-insured HECM loans, and borrowers get more competitive fixed interest rates.
Who is eligible for a FAR HomeSafe loan?
Homeowners who are 60 or older with some equity are eligible for HomeSafe reverse mortgages. In North Carolina, Texas and Utah, the minimum age is 62.
Do I have to get an appraisal to get HomeSafe?
Yes, you must pay for a home appraisal to determine the current value of your property.
Where is Finance of America Reverse located?
Finance of America Reverse has offices located in San Diego, New York, Tulsa and Indianapolis.

Do we recommend Finance of America Reverse?

Yes. Finance of America Reverse offers a wide selection of reverse mortgages for standard and jumbo loans. Its reverse mortgage specialists are knowledgeable about retirement finances and can help throughout the entire process. The company is a member of the National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association and has been serving senior borrowers since 2003.

Finance of America Reverse Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Finance of America Reverse?

Original review: July 20, 2021

The whole process with Finance of America Reverse took almost a year. I called up every four months and asked what was going on. They would say that they were still waiting for final approvals. My mother and father both passed away and they needed documentation to that effect. This went on for months and months. So I finally went to Providence to get death certificates and sent them in. The next thing I know, everything was approved.

I needed money. I had probably $15,000 worth of credit card debts. I had taken out a loan with my credit union to pay off all the taxes and stuff on the house. So, the next step is to get rid of all these debts completely. I wasn't about to go back to work. So, I took out a reverse mortgage and paid off all my bills. After I took out the loan, I put a new roof on the house and put all the painting and trim work around the house. The value of my house increased by almost $60,000 in three years. So, I went down to the reverse mortgage. I needed to borrow more money. I had a few things I needed to do around the house.

Once, I went to a bank to get a loan to do home improvement stuff but they wouldn't even touch me because I had a reverse mortgage. So, I had to go back to Finance of America and convince them that I wanted to refinance it. So, we did it. It was 142,000-something, which paid off the reverse mortgage I had. So, they've sent me $14,900 and a year from now, the rest of the reverse mortgage will kick in. My only problem with Finance of America Reverse is they don't qualify for too many loans. I went for 20-some years without having a new car. I had to lease a car and I got the lease arrangements down to about $300 a month, which I was content with, even with whatever money I had coming in. I have a very small pension from Sears Roebuck where I worked for 22 years, and I had whatever money I got from Social Security.

My only problem is, last year, I got my statement and it seems like Finance of America Reverse arbitrarily takes money out of the value of my house without even asking me that they're going to be doing this. And this is ongoing, it's part of my reverse mortgage. They put me on a leaser account . Supposedly, right after they finally approved my loan, everything I had was paid off. It had been paid off for months. The next thing I know, I was going to closing and they said they wanted to take money and pay my homeowners insurance. They want to take money to pay off my taxes. I said that these things are all paid and they've been paid off for months. So, I told the lawyer who was handling the closing that I don't owe anything to the town for taxes. And I have not been behind on my homeowner's insurance.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your experience with Finance of America Reverse. We are delighted to hear that you were able to achieve your goals in the end.

Please let us know if there is anything further we can do for you.

Get buying tips about Reverse Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2021

It was a long process with Finance of America Reverse. Fortunately, I had a lot of help. Joe was the agent and he walked me through this whole thing from beginning to end. I didn't know what I was doing. He sent me paperwork to sign. I had to contact the bank and there were a lot of details that were involved. He recommended that I get a counselor. He sent me a whole list of counselors that are available throughout the country and he recommended a couple. He said I can pick whoever I want. I just chose one and she was great and was a bipartisan person. She wasn't advocating one way or the other. She just gave me information about the paperwork that I got from Finance of America, so she was very good. I felt comfortable talking to her. She gave us a lot of advice. Joe also got an appraisal for us. A person came down. He was a notary. Had to sign more papers there.

Initially, when I first got hold of Joe, all the paperwork was right way. I was getting paperwork the next day. He was calling me almost every day. Initially, it was great. But I didn't expect it to be over a couple of weeks. But he said once it was out of his hands, and he had to go the other departments, it took a little longer. But it wasn't his fault. It was the procedure of this company.

There were two things that I didn't really care for. This happened at the very end. When we were almost completed with the whole thing, Joe said that was gonna happen. First of all, I'm still responsible for my real estate taxes for the house and that's fine. I called the bank. The bank sent me the escrow for the six months that they were taking money out of my payment. I already had the money. Then Joe said, “Also, the company's gonna pay your house insurance.” But I don't like anybody paying my bills, because a third party is involved, it always brings problems. Sure enough, it did. It took about a month to square this whole thing away.

Our taxes are due July 1st and January 1st. So, the July 1st one has to be paid, and I had the money. But Joe said, “No. Our company will pay that.” I said, “Why are they doing that?” He said, “they just do that as well.” But, here it is, at the end of July and they haven't paid it yet. I called him, “I don't wanna be judged for late payment, ‘cause I already have the money, but I didn't pay them yet.” He said, “They're gonna pay at the end of the month.” I said, “Okay.” So, I'm waiting for next week. I'll call him again and see if they've paid it.

What was good about Joe was he didn't wanna tell me everything all at once to bog me down, because if I heard everything all at once, I would have been totally confused. He went step by step with me the whole way. I really was pleased with that and that was why I was comfortable with it. ‘Cause this whole procedure is new to me. I've never done this before. I was grateful for the help ‘cause I could never have done it by myself.

I liked the way he always said at the very end, “You call me any time. I'm there for you no matter what question you have.” You don't get that kind of service in companies today. The guidance was very good right from the beginning because the minute I got him on the phone, he put me at ease. I also like that from the very beginning, he just told me the figures and the figures were what they were. As the closing costs and all of that, it's expensive. But I know it's not an easy process. It cost money to do it. But I was happy with the company, the way I chose, and I was happy with the service that I got until the very end.

Hi Salvatore,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your experience with Finance of America Reverse. We are delighted to hear that Joe kept you well-informed and helped you to achieve your goals!

Please let us know if there is anything further we can do for you.

Original review: April 29, 2021

Before I went through bankruptcy, I had a FICO score of 804. I knew that it was going to take some time for me if I ever get back to that high number, but because of Matt's diligence and eagerness to see if he can help in any way, I decided to work with him. I had to close my retail stores and file bankruptcy and the person that I was dealing with at first said, “It has to be two years.” I met that. Then he said something about one of my timeshares have put a maintenance fee on my account, which they did. He said that I would have to wait until February, two years after it was on there. Some nonsense. I totally dismissed it. When I talked to Matt, he said, “How long have you had the timeshare?” I said, “probably 20 years, and this is the first problem I've ever had.”

Matt said, “Why don't you call them and ask them to remove it?” Because I didn't owe the company anything. I called them and and within two weeks, the fee was gone. That was one thing he did for me. The other thing is, my business accounts and my personal credit cards went into bankruptcy, but one of my loans was still showing up. The other finance company didn't mention that to me. Maybe they didn't use that collection agency, but Matt noticed it and he said that there's going to be a problem if that $18,000 is not cleared. I said, “I assure you, it shouldn't be there.” I reached out to PNC. PNC reached out to the three credit bureaus, and they removed it. Had Matt not mentioned that or had he not offered that suggestion or tell me how I could clear up these errors, they would still be sitting there and still impacting my credit.

Once I got involved with the loan officer, Matt, I totally disregarded the other one I started working with. Matt made the process run so smoothly and he answered all my questions and concerns. As far as the rates, I'm glad I got them now and not later because the rates have gone up. One of my mortgages is 7.9 to Bank of America. My first mortgage was 4.9. I explained to Matt, if I want to start putting some money on it anyway to keep the principal down or to keep things down, I love the idea that I can do that. It'll go back into an account and he said I'd get 4% interest on it. I can't get that much interest if it's sitting in a savings account.

There's also a $50 million project around the corner from my house and in a couple of years, the value of my property is going to shoot up. I've watched it shoot up in the last six months since this process started, but I went on with the appraisal amount that Finance of America gave me, because I knew that in a couple of years, it would appraise for some more money. I asked Matt, “In about five years or so, what if I don't want to go up and down three flights of steps? And I want to go get a condo or I want to get a rancher?” He explained to me how that works, that I could go back into a reverse mortgage. I could sell my house or I could go into a different type of mortgage and rent my house and still go back into a reverse mortgage.

I'm not supposed to discuss reverse mortgages when I go to people's houses but I am famous for saying, “I just did a reverse mortgage. I'm happy with it.” If they ask me what company or how I did it, I always leave them my phone number and tell them to give me a call because I don't want to be at somebody's house doing a refinance, discussing my reverse mortgage. I have left my number with several people and I plan on doing more and more referrals because elderly people don't have a good understanding about reverse mortgages.

I even told Matt to pass my information on to the company because I was happy with the person who came to see me and did my closing. However, I wasn't happy with the first person I was given. I didn't like that I never got a confirmation that the lady will come and when I called her, there was no message on the phone. It was just a busy tone and then went straight to, “Leave a message.” I told Matt I thought that was very unprofessional.

People have myths about reverse mortgages, but for me, I love it. I'm glad I got one. I've been a title insurance producer for 10 years now and I've closed on 30 reverse mortgages. Some of the people tell me that the process takes so long and the loan officer doesn't keep them abreast. Matt kept me abreast of everything that was going on, how long certain things were going to take, what they were working on, and what they needed. He was awesome. I was so impressed that I talked to my uncle whose home was paid for and told him about my experience. My uncle also got a reverse mortgage and closed three weeks after I did. It was because of Matt that I went through with the process and as far as my uncle was concerned, it's the same way. He immediately agreed when they talked. He felt comfortable going forward.

Finance of America Reverse response

We appreciate the time you took to share your experience and are delighted that we were able to build your trust. We know some of the retirement solutions may be intimidating and we strive to ensure our customers feel supported through the process. Please let us know if there is anything further we can do to help!

Original review: March 3, 2021

I was working with AAG and turned off by the way they were going about things. I was having a hard time getting one of my wife's credit bureau accounts unlocked and AAG hounded me about it. When I talked to the person from Finance of America, he said, "Well, that's not a big deal for us." "Okay, great. That's who I'm working with." Because the guy from AAG was annoying as hell. I kept going back and forth. And he couldn't figure out how to get the thing unlocked. I then started working with a guy from Finance of America and just kept going, little by little.

Andrew was the guy who I worked with. He seemed to leave me alone because I was learning my way through it. I said, "Send me this stuff by email." It might take me a week or 10 days to get around to doing it, but I would look at his email and what the next step was. He just let me go at my pace, and I did. I appreciated that. Because in the beginning, I wasn't sure whether I really wanted to do this. I didn't know anything about reverse mortgages, etc. I did some research online, looked things up and read as I went, and I kept getting more and more confident. Andrew was very accommodating. For old people like me that have never been through it before, it's a little disconcerting as a process. I can imagine a little lady might be going through it, it could be a little unnerving. That's one of the reasons because I liked the way that Andrew went about it.

When I decided I was going to do this, we had a mortgage from Provident, and it's making monthly payments. So, when I started out to do this, I expected that I would continue to make monthly payments, to increase the equity in the house. And the way it turned out, once the reverse mortgage got implemented, I was surprised that there was no easy process to go about making monthly payments. It seemed like they didn't want my money.

That was the only surprise to me. It's almost like the way it's set up is, "Okay, you got your reverse mortgage. Forget about it. We'll talk to you when you die or when someone die or whatever." If you don't make monthly payments, it's never going to get paid off. And I didn't get that until after we got the mortgage. It seemed like it was okay if you wanted to pay, but the way the system is set up, it's weird. There's not a lot of information like, "If you want to make monthly payments, here's where you go and here's how you do it." I managed through it. I finally did get it set up, figured out how to go about it because it's automated. I've done 20 mortgages and this was by far the most relaxed, unassuming kind of easygoing process that I've ever been through with getting a mortgage. In my case, it worked.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I was about halfway into the process with another, the one that advertises all the time. The refi that I did with Finance of America Reverse, they said that they are a broker, and that they don't tend to sell the mortgages off to other people, whereas a lot of the others procure them, but then sell them. I had a bad experience. I refinanced twice in the 30 some odd years that I lived here, and every time, somebody sold it off to Countryside. Countryside is the one who went bankrupt in ‘08 and had massive paperwork irregularities. So I just was like, I don't want to end up with some fly-by-night ** place. Finance of America was like, “No, we're a brokerage. We buy from others. We don't necessarily sell them."

I knew it was going to be tough, but they walked me through it, helped me out. It's a long, involved, convoluted situation. But at each step, if there was any confusion or questions, if Randy didn't know exactly what to tell me, she turned me on to somebody in the company whose expertise could work me through it. She was the best. She called me on Saturdays or Sundays or evenings. She knows I'm a night nurse, and she worked back and forth trying to get together with my schedule. And she was always patient and explained everything. She went above and beyond.

A little confusion at the end was my taxes were due within two or three months from the time I closed, and they said they had held the money to make sure that that got paid. But there was no real, “So are you gonna pay it? Am I gonna pay it?” whatever. The lady that came out at that point didn't know. I went online to pay them yesterday and they have been paid. That bit of confusion could have been a better explained, especially for elderly. Because when you pay the city, they aren't paying it back. So if they had paid, and then the people who would refinance had paid, that's just money out of their pocket for two years.

I've already told others about Finance of America Reverse. I had to wait a year to get the amount of money required to double what I owed, and I waited to make sure that I could do that. But I feel very comfortable with this. People need not to leave their children large amounts of money or whatever. You work hard for it. If you want to stay in your home and you want to be able to eat other than cat food, then it's important that you take care of yourself and go for this. It just is breathing space. I've been a nurse for 46 years so eventually, I'm not going to be able to pull it off. And at that point, then not having to put out that amount for the mortgage would allow me to have a decent lifestyle.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

I was contacted by a different reverse mortgage person but she was pushy and I didn't like that. I ended up going with Finance of America and they gave me a quote. I worked with Andy and we ran into a few snags and he took care of everything. The process took about three weeks from start to finish. Finance of America had to talk to underwriters. They needed somebody to come out and do an evaluation and it had to be a certain amount in order to get the reverse mortgage and so we did it twice. I would have liked the rates to be a little bit better. But then the rates of the lady that kept calling me weren't as good. So, I felt pretty comfortable with what the rate was. It was fair and equitable. Andy expedited everything and it went well.

One of the funny things that happened was that it was gonna close and Andy told me about it. Yet it didn't close when it was supposed to. I got ahold of him and he said, "Judy, it was a holiday. I apologize. I wanted to change the holiday for you so it would close a day earlier, but they wouldn't let me do it." Then once it was all done, about two weeks later, the postman delivered a package with all these goodies, scones, jam, and all kinds of things. I asked my daughter about it and she had no idea. A week or two later, I got an email from Finance of America saying, "We hope you enjoyed the package." It was a great experience overall.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Finance of America Reverse got me exceptional rates and followed through. The escrow people came out when they signed the papers. The rep was not fully prepared and he made a few errors, which caused a little anxiety, but it all got done. He squeezed me in on a good deal and it allowed me to save over 10 years $170,000. Finance of America did a good job.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Finance of America came to the house and took the application. When I first started the process to refinance, I was told that there wouldn't be any closing costs and there wouldn't be any additional charges of closing. But because I had a waiting period, I was told I had to wait specifically until my original loan exceeded one year. And during that waiting period, I guess things changed, because I had closing costs and others.

I don't like the rate. I improved my interest rate from 4.5% down to 3.06. But I saw that other institutes were under 3. I don't know if the HECM loan or the period of time I had my first loan had anything to do with it. But I know my credit has always been excellent, so that wasn't part of the equation. Other than that, the rep always got back to me when I had questions or concerns. She kept me abreast of everything as it was going.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

The application process was cumbersome. There is much paperwork. But I liked the rep. She's cool. I also liked the rate and terms.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

It took me a while to get to a person who actively did transactions. But once I got the right person, it was excellent. He was always one step ahead of me in terms of information. He got me some numbers that were excellent. It went smoothly in terms of the transaction and in keeping me up-to-date and informed as we moved ahead. There were some extra fees that went one way, and the other once or twice, and he explained them to me. This isn't my first loan so I know those things happen. But it was as long as he could explain them and headed them off at the pass so I didn't find out about them some other way.

I looked into the rate and terms and my numbers were right in line and a couple of digits better than what I had looked at or been able to discover on my own. So, I'm pleased with the product as it was. The thing that helped the most was coming back to Finance of America for this refi because they had all my info. I didn't have to go through the discovery process with them to that whole full extent, like a day one transaction.

My knee jerk reaction was, "I'm gonna find someone local who I can sit down face-to-face with," thinking face-to-face would be a benefit to me or a comfort. The rep got back to me and said, "Look, whatever you've done in these two or three days, we're way ahead of it. We've got all your info. This is almost a plug-and-play transaction for us." So, I realized what she was saying was accurate. I just wanted to move ahead fast. And I realized how much of a hill the first part was, the discovery part with a new player. So, I came back to them. They did the transaction by the book. and it was comfortable. It was pretty much a yawn. That's what I want for financial transactions. The less drama, the better. It was a great service.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your experience with Finance of America Reverse. I'm happy to hear you were able to achieve your goals with us once again and that you were kept informed throughout the process.

Please let us know if there is anything further we can do for you!

Finance of America Reverse Company Information