toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

George,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. We are so happy to hear that your experience with us was very easy and upfront. Thank you for working with Finance of America Reverse, if you have any questions please contact us.

- FAR

Original review: May 25, 2017

I'm 78 years old. I had a wife to attend to and Finance of America Reverse were very easy to deal with and honest. I struggled for years and I got my credit land where I could do it. The loan officer was nice and he was on top of the job. During the process, he would call and stay in touch. That impressed me and everything has turned out good.

James,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. It is great to hear that you had a successful experience and that you are very please with the outcome. We appreciate your choice to work with Finance of America Reverse.

- FAR

Original review: May 24, 2017

I first read about the agent I dealt with, who I thought was in Tuscaloosa, Alabama and that's why I contacted her. I had her phone number and her work number and I had day-by-day contact with her. But later I learned that she was in California. Of course I lived 36 years in California, so I learned a lot about the program there. And then later on, I dealt with a lady in New York as well. It's a finance institution that handled the thing. Both ladies were very cordial and helpful. And then I went through the whole procedure to learn what mortgage it was and how it would affect me, and I decided to go ahead and do it.

I wanted to get some assistance because my total income was my social security benefit. But the rates are a little bit higher than I wanted, but the interest rates on paying back is like 6%. Of course, that's above most interest rates today in my position anyway. Then they told me a couple of times that I was gonna close, and then something else that was overlooked would come up, and I'd have to get another guy to come out to get me to sign stuff. But I've completed it all and was successful in getting the fund that I needed. I'm pleased with it.

Nora,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs. It is wonderful to hear that you had such a great experience working with Andrew. We are so happy that he was able to answer all of your questions and walk you through the process. Thank you for choosing to work with Finance of America Reverse.

- FAR

Original review: May 11, 2017

Andrew explained all my options. He was very easy to talk to and answered all of my questions in language I could understand without overwhelming me. I was not sure if this was the right decision for me or not. He listened to me until I talked through it and came to my own decision that reverse mortgage was the right choice for me. Without Andrew I know this process would not have been so easy... I would have come out on the other side questioning myself. So I thank Andrew ** for all his help and dedication in making me feel I was his only client. I also want to mention, if I had a question he wasn't sure of he would ask until he found out the correct answer. I would not have gone with this company had it not been for Andrew. I had spoke to a few other Reverse mortgage companies but chose Finance of America Reverse… because I felt so comfortable with Andrew right off the bat.

Harold,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Consumer Affairs. It is great to hear that you had a good experience with the representatives that you have talked with and we hope it continues. Thank you for choosing Finance of America Reverse.

- FAR

Original review: May 6, 2017

My wife has cancer and I need the money to pay some doctor bill so I used Finance of America Reverse. The representatives have been real nice and courteous if I have talked to them.

Janet,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. It's great to hear that you're satisfied with the process and that it went smoothly. We're happy that your loan officer kept you informed and you're happy with your reverse mortgage.

- FAR

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

We wanted to not have any payment. I talked to the salesman of Finance of America Reverse and he sounded nice and easy to work with. He was knowledgeable and he kept us informed all the time and called me a couple of times a week and it went really smoothly. I thought it was gonna take months and it only took one month. It was really easy and quick and they kept me educated and informed and I was really happy with it.

Jerry,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. We're happy to hear that everything was taken care of and that your loan officer was nice to work with. We appreciate you're choice to work with Finance of America Reverse.

- FAR

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I'm 80 years old now. I did the reverse mortgage so I'd cut some on my bill and it had a nice effect. I had a reverse mortgage already and I want to do another reverse which is allowable. I had a lot of problems and errors that had to be taken care of and Finance of America was very good, understanding and patient. They were also nice to work with and they had no pressure. And once you're finished with them, they even call you back. It was a very good experience.

Donald,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. It's great that your loan officer was able to guide you through the reverse mortgage process and answer all your questions about the product. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you.

- FAR

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I checked with Finance of America Reverse and saw what they had to offer. I did a reverse mortgage because I like the fact that I didn't have to make monthly payments and a part of the money came that I could use and get my taxes paid. I started with them and they tried to find any information and I got a little education on how it worked. They kept walking with me till it finally came to fruition. The loan officer was terrific. He worked with me and stayed in touch. Anytime I needed something or every time he needed something, he was right there to call. He kept me in the loop the whole time. Everything was good and I couldn't have done it without the guidance I received from Finance of America Reverse.

Resolution In Progress

Wayne,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs and expressing your situation. We're sorry that the process didn't go quite like expected. Reverse mortgages have many regulations in place to make sure that all parties (including the borrower) are protected. If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to contact your loan officer. Thank you for allowing Finance of America Reverse the opportunity to serve you.

- FAR

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

My husband questioned a couple of companies that were offering reverse mortgage and Finance of America’s rep was the one who acted the quickest. He was very explanatory about everything that we were doing. There were a couple of things that I wasn’t happy with but that’s okay. It started out that I was gonna be getting my $1500 and by the time everything happened, I ended up only getting $6. I had a lot of different bills I was planning on paying off and I had gone so far with everything. I felt like it was stuck in there. I paid a few bills and I still got an outstanding credit card that I am paying on but the interest is through the roof.

I'm hoping that when the value goes up, I can take another account on it. I’ve done so much work to make the house beautiful. Everything’s new here inside and the appraisal was still way down. It was the right decision but I was a little upset towards the end. The rep said, "Well, we can't do anything. That's the way it went." Although everything else went as smoothly as it could, it could’ve been better. It’s the house that worth that much and I’m only paying off $50,000 mortgage. They couldn’t throw that extra 10 grand in there.

Ken,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs. We're happy that you're pleased with the knowledge your loan officer was able to provide during the reverse mortgage process. We apologize for any misunderstanding and are happy to hear that you had a positive experience. If you have any questions regarding your reverse mortgage, don't hesitate to contact your loan officer. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.

- FAR

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I was looking up reverse mortgages and saw Finance of America Reverse. They had the best rates among two or three other places so I went with them. Their loan officers were pleasant, patient, informative, and very knowledgeable. The deal got done after about six months but it was mostly my fault. I wasn't in a hurry but everything went okay. I was working with two other companies about the same time and the advice I got from all of them was similar. Finance of America Reverse did a good job of explaining options. However, how they show the possible financial outcome is a little misleading as it's based on the best case scenario. If the value of the house continues to increase and I don't take any money then I see a net increase. But that's assuming that I don't draw any money out, which is the reason I get a reverse mortgage in the first place. Still, it was an enlightening and positive experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Finance of America Reverse?

Marlene,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs and sharing your story with us. We're so happy that our loan officer was able to connect with you and guide you through the reverse mortgage process by answering all of your questions and listening to your needs. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.

- FAR

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

The loan officer from Finance of America that I spoke with was a very patient and wonderful person. She was, literally, at my beck and call for almost two months. I didn’t really find out what the program or the process was until I applied, but she was very knowledgeable and repetitive because some of the information is unbelievable. I was required to go to a counseling session together with my lawyer where they asked me questions whether or not I was certain about doing the reverse mortgage and they reiterated exactly what the loan officer had told me. During the loan process, if I had any questions, I would call her up and we’d go through about 125 pages together. It’s overwhelming but she made me understand things that I was skeptical of, so she made all the difference in the world to me.

One of the things that made me trust her was when she got ready to hang up the phone after the first time I talked to her, she said, “God bless you” which I found very unusual in a corporate environment. I had talked to another loan officer from RMF and I had gone through the initial part of the process with them. The difference between the two loan officers was their attitude and their responsiveness. The way that I was informed and in terms of developing a trustworthy relationship over the telephone, there was no comparison. Finance of America Reverse took a life-changing decision and made it palatable. You have to understand exactly what reverse mortgage is and how it works to be comfortable with it because I still tend to expect the other shoe to drop but it has not. This sounds too good to be true but it has made a tremendous difference in my ability to survive. The person and the process really helped me to accept it and trust it.

William,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. It is great to hear that your loan officer was efficient, patient, professional and communicated with you during the whole process. If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to contact your loan officer.

- FAR

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

The agent from the first reverse mortgage place that I picked was very skeptical and had no solutions. I felt like I was somewhat under siege, so I fired her. Then I got this other guy from Finance of America Reverse. He was great, very efficient, patient, professional, and stayed in contact with me. He came off as very genuine and he did an excellent job. I was very impressed and overwhelmed. He gave me what I needed and it didn't take him long. If I had been with him in the first place, I would have done what I was trying to get done done but as a result, I didn’t actually get what I needed to get done in time. I wanted to buy my friend's car. I've known him for 50 years and he ended up with cancer and was dying, so the car was very personal for me.

David,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. It is great to hear that you would rate our services with an A. We're glad that Nicole was able to cut through the red tape and that you are pleased. Thank you for choosing to work with Finance of America Reverse and your recommendation.

- FAR

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I went online and looked at various reverse mortgage companies and Finance of America had a better rating so I chose them. I would give them a grade of A, because of their rep at their Indiana office was superior and wonderful. During my initial application, I said that I’m only going to use Finance of America if the loan can be completed by a certain day since I had a deadline to meet. I had some problems with my application due to a recent move to Florida and my bank account records were in Ohio. Nicole cut through the red tape and personally got the records that I needed more quickly than I could. That was extraordinary and I couldn’t be more pleased. At the conclusion, I wrote her a personal thank you note. And, I would recommend Finance of America to anybody who was considering a reverse mortgage.

John,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs. We're very happy that you were pleased with the way our team handled things and always kept you well informed during the process. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and your recommendation of our services.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I was looking for a reverse mortgage and I went through the ads. Once you put down one on the internet, everybody comes out and they’re still coming. I got the numbers and everything from different finance companies from different organizations and I could tell when they weren’t really concerned about me. I was a voice on the phone and they were gonna slam me with some numbers and told me to go for it. The next line was, “If you don’t like that, we can change it.” I didn't need to do this kind of business. But Finance of America was honest and the agent was very concerned about what was happening. I liked the follow-up and the communications.

I was very pleased with the way they were handling things and the way they went about it. They always kept me well informed. They answered my questions, took my concerns to heart and were able to satisfy my needs. My experience was a lot smoother than the others. AIG was one of the worst ones. I almost felt like it was a boiler room operation. Finance of America, on the other hand, was more than just concerned with them getting the financing. I would definitely recommend them to a friend.

Mr. Brown,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs. We happy that we were able to earn your business with our honesty and trust. It's great to hear that you and Joe connected and you are happy with the service from Finance of America Reverse. Thank you for your recommendation.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Honesty is important to me so I told Finance of America Reverse that if I never catch them in a lie, we’ll do business. Otherwise, I would come after them. And when I spoke to Joe, he didn’t lie. Everything he told me that would happen, happened. Others would say they can save you money if you use them but I don’t believe that. Even if I did, I'd still use Joe because I trust him. He gave me whatever I was entitled to, there are no secrets and whatever he told me that was on that closing thing, that’s what it was. I loved that guy and I'm very happy with Finance of America Reverse. Everything is going perfectly and I would recommend them.

Beverly,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. We're so happy that we were able to help you and your family through the reverse mortgage process. It's great that the guidance was very good and that it was a positive experience working with our company.

- FAR

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

When I went on the internet and looked for anybody that was doing reverse mortgages for my father, Finance of America Reverse responded and I understood them better. The people got back to me in a timely fashion, they were willing to work with me and I can email them easily. The loan officer was amazing. He was very helpful, extremely knowledgeable and tried very hard to help us. We live in a different state and he was very communicative. They made it an easy process. Plus, their guidance was very good and I was very happy with the outcome. Everybody was honest and to the point. They can explain a lot of information to us when the appraisal did not come back as we thought. They were able to explain to us and there was a lot of reassurance behind what they were saying. It was an excellent and a very positive experience, one that I can understand easily with things that are outside of my realm of knowledge. They did a good job.

Sheila,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs. We're happy that you considered a reverse mortgage as part of your retirement plan and that you chose us to help you through the process. It's great that everything was addressed and questions were helpful. Thank you for choosing to work with Finance of America Reverse and your recommendation of our services.

- FAR

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I have a very good experience with Finance of America Reverse. We thought that it would be a good thing to have because of retirement. They were not pushy and very helpful. I like their customer service. They explained everything and they address any questions I had. We've pretty much knew what we were doing but their guidance was still helpful. They made a few suggestions that we thought were good. I would recommend them to anyone that's considering it.

Daniel,

Thank you for leaving a review on Consumer Affairs. We're happy to hear that you received good guidance from our team and that they were able to walk you through the reverse mortgage process.Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you and the recommendation of our services.

- FAR

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I saw reverse mortgage as a way to get rid of our mortgage payment and it would make our financial situation a lot easier. I went online, put in several inquiries and Finance of America Reverse was one of them. They were on top of things and some of the other companies were from out of state, East Coast. So, I thought I’d keep it closer to home and I felt better about that. The loan officer was helpful. There were some things I didn’t understand and he coached me on how to fill out forms and deal with different situations. He helped me understand the process. I was given good guidance when I was deciding on the reverse mortgage. There was enough detail and they didn’t gloss over anything. I could also ask any question I wanted.

They did an inspection on the house and they withheld some money until things got repaired. I have this 40-year old shed and the door was in bad shape. But they made a big deal out of it. I could have torn the thing down and it seemed a little out of line. I had some other issues where I had fixed some leaks and did some drywall work. I understand that. But that old shed didn’t make sense. Nevertheless, they didn’t let things drag out, they got it done and I appreciated that. I would recommend them.

Rosemary,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. It's great to hear that you chose a reverse mortgage to be apart of your retirement plan. We're glad that our loan officer was excellent and handled everything to your standards. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Having a reverse mortgage was something we wanted to figure out for our retirement plan. The company that we originally had stopped giving out any reverse mortgages and they referred Finance of America Reverse to us so we tried them. The loan officer was excellent. He called back if we had questions and he handled every aspect of the loan in a proper way. We have received excellent guidance from them.

Edward,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. We're happy to hear that Jason was able to solve some issues and walk you through the reverse mortgage process. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you. If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to contact your loan officer.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I have Social Security coming so I had to use reverse mortgage just as a back-up in case I need additional money because I don’t want to go broke. I started out with Lakeland Bank, but we couldn’t get things straightened out. So, I spoke with Jason from Finance of America Reverse and he solved a lot of problem for me. He followed up on everything and it was a great interaction. We had discussed options over the phone and they came here and went over it. Everything went smoothly because they were knowledgeable in what we had to have and on any questions we had. Everything went smoothly when I went to close. However, I didn’t like the idea of being charged for monthly statements. That’s going to add up to a lot of money. Nevertheless, I was pleased with everything and the way they handled it. I’m very satisfied with what we got.

Fred,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. We're so happy that Chris was able to answer all of your questions and listen to what you needed. I'm glad that the reverse mortgage process was easy for you.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I have no complaints whatsoever with Finance of America Reverse. I worked with Chris and he was great. We started talking on phone and he was just good to talk to. He answered all my questions on how reverse mortgage works and he didn't put any pressure on me whatsoever to do it. I told him what I needed and he took care of what I need. They have set up everything for me and it was so easy with them. I have bought a house about 40 years ago and I've always wanted to remodel the kitchen. I told Chris how much I needed to work with and got more of what I needed. I only took what I needed and I've got more available if I needed it.

Debra,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. It's great to hear that you were referred to our services. We're happy that you were pleased with your loan officer and that you had a good experience with our company. Thank you for allowing Finance of America Reverse the opportunity to serve you.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

Finance of America Reverse was referred by an investment adviser. Everything was good in terms of cost and then having been referred made me feel comfortable. They were all excellent, every single one. The loan officer was great and had a lot of patience with me. It took me a long time to decide that reverse mortgage was the right thing to do and he didn’t pressure me. I decided on it because of the income it creates. It was a very good experience and I’m glad I used their services.

Howard,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. It's great to hear that Carol was able to answer all of your questions and was very helpful. We're happy that you had a wonderful experience working with us. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I still owe $300,000 on my house and the interest rates and the payments were going up and up. I couldn’t afford to stay at my house and a reverse mortgage looked like it's the only way to save my house. I decided to go with Finance of America Reverse since they were close-by. I was able to talk to Carol, their representative in San Diego to start working and I knew I can do the process. We had some problems at first then we got it all ironed up. I had to wait six months to retry and it all worked out good. Carol was knowledgeable, very friendly and helpful. I liked her. The guidance I received was fine as well. I'm very happy with it. It was a wonderful experience with Finance of America Reverse and I have recommended them to a couple of friends.

Wayne,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. It is great to hear that you had a wonderful experience working with our loan officer. We always strive to be customer oriented, if you ever have any questions regarding your reverse mortgage, don't hesitate to call.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I'm 71 and I looked to take equity out of the home that I bought. I have $300,000 or $400,000 equity in the house but my loan ratio was 45% so I couldn’t get a home equity loan. I have one daughter to leave the house to so I decided it's time for me to start enjoying my life and got a reverse mortgage. The Finance of America Reverse loan officer was incredibly knowledgeable and very customer-oriented. He was very easy to get a hold of and I even had his private cellphone number. The experience was wonderful. The people at Finance of America Reverse were excellent to work with and I'm very pleased with the results.

Virginia,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs. We're happy that a reverse mortgage has helped you make updates to your home. It is great that William was able to help you through the reverse mortgage and make sure that all of your questions were answered. Thank you for choosing to work with Finance of America Reverse.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

There’s a man at our church who has a program on the radio and he tries to connect with various businesses who will give seniors a fair deal. So he connected me with the lady that did give me the first reverse mortgage. I had two reverse mortgages with Finance of America Reverse. The first one would be three years in September, and that went well. The house needed a bunch of updating or improving, and I didn't have the money to do it. So I took out the first reverse mortgage and was able to have new siding put on and new windows put in. I had a new driveway and all of my walks replaced. It looks very nice.

I just got the second reverse mortgage this spring, and I had a very good experience particularly with this one. Evidently, the banks were all notified of people who have reverse mortgage and the banks who deal with this finance company. So I got a number of calls offering it to me and made me think that if I do that, I can stay in my own home and pay people to take care of me because I'm almost 86 years old. There’s a lot I can do but there's a lot I cannot do too so that's what I decided to do. This gentleman called me and offered to help me with the loan, and so that's what we did.

I was very pleased with the agents who helped me, and led me through it, and advised me what to do. I tried to contact the first lady. I had talked to her on the phone. I kept talking to her about getting a second one, and she kept putting me off. Then I learned through William, the one who gave me the second one, that she had sold my account to Finance of America so that's why I didn't get any good results back with her.

I get the regular notices of how everything is, all the details. This gentleman that helped me with the second one, keeps in touch with me from time to time, and checks up on me, and has volunteered to help in any way he could in the future. I have a neighbor who came and talked to me because he was looking to get one. So I told him what I could and I gave him William’s phone number. He called him and talked to him. William called me the next day, and thanked me for referring him, and said they were going to get it set up and running for this neighbor. So that's a good thing.

Judy,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. It is great to hear that your loan officer was able to answer all of your questions in a professional and pleasant manner. We appreciate you choosing to work with Finance of America Reverse and your recommendation of our services.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Our children don’t like this house because it's in the middle of nowhere and there are no malls and stores. So we said we might as well enjoy it. When Finance of America Reverse sent the information, I called them back. They answered questions and they were there. They're one of the few that I talked to and they were professional and pleasant. The representative was very knowledgeable. We went through counseling and we said this is what we want to do. We listened, learned and we did it. I would recommend them.

Nicole,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. We are so happy that you were able to compare reverse mortgage companies and chose to work with Finance of America Reverse. It is great that you were given all the information you needed through the reverse mortgage process and that you had a good experience with us.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I'm retired and I was getting stretched financially. I used to hear about reverse mortgage. I went on the computer and I looked it up. Then people started calling me. Then a lady from Finance of America Reverse called me. She was talking to me and she said, "Well, it's good to hear two different people. You can then just go with one." She was telling me all the different things. I compared what she told me and what the other person told me, I also asked other people what they know about it because I didn’t know anything about reverse mortgage. But after the lady from Finance of America talked to me and see certain things that she told me and I compared with the other company who had called me, I then took all their information and sent it to my son, and he decided on her also. That’s how I ended up taking this company.

Finance of America Reverse gave me all their explanation step by step. From step 1, how to go about it, what was good about it. Then I come to the realization of what I thought I knew were so completely different than what they knew. I really don’t have any complaints about the person that I spoke to. She was very nice from the beginning and gave me all the information. I had a good experience with them.

Val,

Thank you for leaving a review on Consumer Affairs. We are so happy that you chose to work with Finance of America Reverse and are overall satisfied with your reverse mortgage. We apologize for any misunderstanding. If you ever have any questions about your reverse mortgage, don't hesitate to contact us. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you and your recommendation.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

We were financially strapped and so we wanted to do a reverse mortgage. We were considering one reverse mortgage company, but they weren't working out too well. So we changed our minds and went with Finance of America Reverse because they seemed to be the most cooperative. My son did all the transaction with them. Also, we've been happy with that decision to go with them except for the dispute over the insurance. They were supposed to pay the insurance and they paid the homeowners, but they didn't pay Windstorm. They evidently thought the homeowners included Windstorm, but it doesn't. Other than that, I'd still recommend Finance of America Reverse.

Jan,

Thank you for leaving a review on Consumer Affairs. That is great that you and your financial adviser see the value that a reverse mortgage could possibly provide to people in retirement. We're happy to hear that Matt was able to walk you through the reverse mortgage process and that you had a great rapport with him. Thank you for choosing to work with Finance of America Reverse and your recommendation of our services.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I have a very capable financial adviser who handles my retirement plan and told me what I can, should and should not do. He was always in favor of doing a reverse mortgage and I trust his judgment. It’s a big decision and I was in a position where I had to make sure my wife was comfortable with it. My wife and I went to see that same financial adviser and I asked him to please put her mind at ease about the whole thing which she did very well. I had to wait till the point where age-wise, between myself and my wife and the status of our mortgage, we will qualify. There were certain conditions that had to be met and when we finally met them, we decided to look into it.

There was something like a quiz on reverse mortgage on an e-mail that I got. Finance of America Reverse got that information and called me. The agent I dealt with, Matt, was a very personable, knowledgeable, friendly guy who called me quite a bit. We ended up almost chatting like friends about all kinds of stuff. It was very low-pressure, casual and pleasant and I liked talking to him. I was always very open and frank with him. I told him he’s a nice guy but at the end of the day it’s not the nice guy I’d buy from and he was very understanding. I Googled them, looked at how they ranked and how they are reviewed and rated and they came out good, which was an important factor.

I talked to other companies, different agents, and Matt was the nicest. It makes a big difference and he was a big factor when I considered Finance of America Reverse. I talked with his supervisor once because he was not available and that was also very pleasant, no pressure, professional, and knowledgeable. Also, the package they offered happened to be the most appealing I could find. There were certain steps that we had to go through and it went very well. All in all, I would recommend Finance of America Reverse and if somebody asked, I would give Matt’s name and say they should talk to him.

Thomas,

Thank you for leaving a review on Consumer Affairs. We are happy to hear that you made a reverse mortgage part of your retirement plan. It is great that your loan officer was able to walk you through the reverse mortgage process and make sure you had all the information needed to make informed decisions. Thank you for choosing to work with Finance of America Reverse.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I thought a reverse mortgage as part of my retirement plan would get me all out of debt and it did. The people who worked with me at Finance of America Reverse were great and now, my finances are in line. I was very happy with their service. The woman that handled this was very nice and understanding of my problem. She was knowledgeable in telling me what to do and she gave me all the information I needed to make the best decision. She also told me exactly what was going down. I had quite a few other people call me but nothing like her.

Gary,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs and sharing your story with us. We're happy that you and your loan officer got along well and she was able to guide you through the whole process. We're glad that you were able to take care of your home and that you have been pleased with our service. Thank you for allowing Finance of America Reverse the opportunity to serve you and your recommendation of our service.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I heard about reverse mortgages so I researched on the computer and ran across Finance of America Reverse. I called their number to find some information about how they worked and ended up speaking to one of their reps. I like people who are laid back country folk like myself and the young lady was a lot like me and we got along. She was patient with me, explained how it all works and the process that would have to be undergone. I was happy with the way she explained that I decided to go with them. The guidance was extremely good because they told me I’d have to speak to the government councilor, have an appraiser come out and all the procedures that would be involved.

Having a reverse was perfect for me. I decided that I wanted some money and I would like for once to be able to go to the casino if I wanted, to buy something I want and to have a little nest egg to do things with. All I was doing was getting the benefit out of the equity I’d built up all these years. The 4.4% interest compounded monthly is gonna add up quickly so I’m looking at it thirty years from now. I understand that the equity will all be eaten up by the interest and there won’t be much left by the time I end up selling the house or dying, but I'll still be able to live in the house the rest of my life, have the house in good condition and have the ability to pay for whatever needs to be done when it happens, which is what’s been going on so far.

Last month, it was one thing right after another that was about $26,000 worth of stuff. The air conditioner and water heater went out and the garage door broke and fell off. A water leak flooded under the house and I had that pumped out and the water line replaced. I'm retired on an income and I was able to fix all that because I took out a reverse. I've handed everybody I could think of a card to tell them about it because it’s good. It makes me at ease because I have access to the money I would never have had and I was able to do things I couldn’t do before. I always have the guilt for not having something to leave to my kids, but I explained to them what I was doing so they’d be aware and they didn’t have a problem with it.

Polly,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. We're happy that you found our services helpful and diligent. It's great to hear that you were able to use the reverse mortgage line of credit as a supplement to your retirement plan. We appreciate your choice to work with Finance of America Reverse.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I needed extra money in case of emergencies and I had a car that I needed to have some work done. I contemplated about getting a reverse mortgage for quite a long time because there was no risk about the whole thing and my home is already paid off. So I decided to step out in place and hope for the best with Finance of America. They were very kind, helpful and they sent me information. If there was a mistake on the paperwork, they got to it real quick. I used the line of credit because I didn’t want all the money at one time. I just want to use it when I need it.

Maryann,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. We're pleased that you found your loan officer very helpful and available through the whole process. We apologize for any inconvenience that occurred during your reverse mortgage. We're happy that overall everything went smoothly.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

My husband and I had no children and so we figured that we might as well use the money in the house through a reverse mortgage. My loan officer at Finance of America Reverse was very helpful and was available when I needed to call him. The guidance I received was very good and I was kept knowledgeable on whatever he was doing.

However, we had a problem as I'm in Massachusetts and locally, there was one counselor that we could go to and he was on vacation. Finance of America gave us a list of counselors in the area but none of them were doing counseling anymore. And so, we had to wait for that counselor to come back from vacation. To get an appointment, it took about 5 weeks. Nevertheless, working with Finance of America was very helpful. The lawyers came to the house and it all went smoothly.

Carolyn,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs. We're happy that you decided to use a reverse mortgage to supplement your retirement plan. It sounds like you got along well with your loan officer. We're happy he was able to guide you through the reverse mortgage and answer any questions you had.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

All we had is social security coming in and they don't usually give us very big pay raises there if anything happened. And we needed money for anything. If something happened to either my husband or me, we can't live on social security. We didn't know anything about our mortgage and wanted to see if a reverse mortgage would be something that would benefit us and it definitely sounded like it would. I had gotten a literature from a reverse company that was out in California and I called them. But I wasn't happy with the gentleman that I talked to and I started looking online for reverse mortgages. The gentleman from Finance of America Reverse that answered the phone was very helpful and that's the one that we still are working with today.

There was a loan officer who called to fill in things that she needed to pull credit reports on and there was also a gentleman who was our representative. He just followed up if we ran into any problems with anything or why are they asking this or they're asking for that. When I mailed paperwork to Finance of America because they had to have the original to change it with the court at the courthouse, they mailed it back to us but it got lost. The loan officer is supposed to be tracking it down and it's not happening. But the representative followed up on each and every problem we had and everything went smoothly. He answered every question and when I got scared and wondered if I was making the right decision, he was always able to calm me right back down. Overall, it was a very pleasurable transaction. I would recommend Finance of America to anybody that is seriously thinking about it because you'll never know what's going to happen.

Edie,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. It is great to hear that you were able to get all of your questions answered and had a good experience. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

- FAR

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

We wanted to have some money to travel with and I couldn't see borrowing it so we decided to go with Finance of America reverse mortgage. We got four kids but they're all already setup for themselves and don't really need much from me so I'm going to spend and they can have whatever is left. Finance of America was great in giving out guidance and we did the seminar where we sat and talk to people on the phone for an hour and a half. Our counselor was nice, awesome, great, and answered everything we had questions about. Then, I don't know what happened between us getting the money and Finance of America sending it out but we didn't get it until three days later. I don't think it had anything to do with the girl I interacted with but it was the finance institution themselves. Still, it was a great experience.

Finance of America Reverse Company Profile