Call toll free
4.60/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Finance of America Reverse is one of the premiere reverse mortgage lenders in the United States. Since 2003, FAR has been providing homeowners age 62 and older with the financial independence they deserve while preparing for or during retirement. By utilizing home equity for a retirement asset, these savvy homeowners are able to strengthen and lengthen their retirement plans.

Finance of America Reverse Video
Finance of America Reverse Gallery (3)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1722 Finance of America Reverse Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

The whole process with Finance of America - Reverse - was very smooth and comprehensive. William ** led the team on my financing and communicated at every step of the process to make sure we stayed on schedule. He was very accommodating to my needs and made sure all the paperwork was in order for a seamless closing. I was very satisfied. Thank you Finance of America and William **.

Get expert buying tips about Reverse Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I got a reverse mortgage to have some extra money. Obtaining it with Finance of America was easy. From beginning to end, their process took a couple of months. Their loan officer was on top of it and was very responsive. She supplied the emails and called me a lot. Working with them was excellent. We wanted to do a few things around the house and we needed a different car, and we got a new car.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I called HUD when I first thought about doing a reverse mortgage and they gave me two different companies that I could work with. When I talked to the first company, they were doing only the regular but I have the unit so I needed the jumbo mortgage. I then called Finance of America Reverse and they helped me. I got the counseling and then I talked to the people there back and forth. They answered my questions but it seemed like months before we got through the entire process because when they ask you something, they would come back and need something else. It was tedious and stretched out.

I'm not happy because I wanted to get enough money to pay off all my bills but I did not get that because they set aside such a huge amount that I would have been eligible for otherwise. I know it’s because of my credit score, but that was the whole reason I needed to get the loan in the first place. I'm trying to get that off. I also wanted to get my savings built up again and try to get on my feet. I didn't wanna do it permanently. So, it's been hard because I didn't get the money I needed.

Finance of America Reverse looked at how much my taxes and insurance are annually and they looked at what they expect my lifespan to be. They set aside over $100,000 for that but I’ve been paying my taxes and insurance without fail so I would have paid it. They wanted to do it and they said that was a rule. I ended up with less than 100,000 in hand. They were looking out for themselves but it seemed like their ratio and rules were unfair to me. My property has been valued at 1.6 million so I should have gotten more money based on the value. Even though they paid off my mortgage for over 300,000, if something happens to me, they would get all the property’s worth. Most people are not aware about it because they’re just gonna stay there until they die and then let the bank have it. Let the reverse mortgage have it. So, it's a good thing in that situation, and that's what a lot of people do.

In my case, I have three kids and it’s an income property. I have units in the bank. So, I will try and leave it for them which creates the problem. Finance of America Reverse would get the property unless my kids wanna get another loan and pay them off. If I die, they could refinance and pay another bank. Or they could just sell it, pay them off and they still have money left over but the longer I stay in it, the more equity I use up. Right now, if I die, they have equity in it. It's still enough to pay Finance of America Reverse off and still have some money coming back. With what I came away with from this process, I'm in the same spot as I was before, just less bills. I needed some relief, which I got, but it didn't solve the problem. Still, I would recommend Finance of America Reverse but I would want people to know what they're getting up against and think about it carefully.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

The lady from Finance of America Reserve was the first one to call me right after I posted it on the internet. The application process was cumbersome, and the notary came the first time with about a hundred different papers to sign. The amount of papers they had was incredible for the first time and the second time they came. It was very extensive! The lending process took about six weeks. Also, the lady I worked with had my house assessed at $177,000. Then the professional who came out who did the survey put it down at 127,000. There is a great big difference there.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

A reverse mortgage is an excellent way for me to access equity without a cash flow influence. At the time, Finance of America Reverse was ready with the latest changes and had them explained and were on top of it for this timeframe when the cash would be available. Their loan officer was knowledgeable and supportive and kept me informed. Overall, our interaction was much more than what I would expect. The general experience with Finance of America is good, but the only con I have is the maximum amount of money you can get from the appraised value of the property. Also, the rate of the mortgage could be lower. Other than that, working with Finance of America has helped me accomplish the objective that I find valuable in a reverse mortgage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Finance of America Reverse?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I was looking for a lending company and Andrew, the rep from Finance of America Reverse called me. He was such a nice and helpful person. He was also friendly,listened to me and answered all the questions I had. He answered as quickly and as honestly as he could. The other companies weren't as helpful and I was not comfortable with these couple other people I had talked to. There were several things with the way they were going to do the mortgage and they weren't willing to work with me about what I needed.

I told Andrew what I needed and why I needed it. He worked with me to see what my house was worth and what I could get and on what bills I had and to see what it would take for me to get to where I wanted to be. I was very comfortable working with him. The application process with Finance of America had a lot of paperwork and it took about 30 days for the application and underwriting process. Even so, the process went fine and I was very well pleased and satisfied. Finance of America has helped me very much. I would recommend Finance of America to anyone and I would especially tell them to get Andrew.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I chose to go with a reverse mortgage since I thought it would be better than doing a home equity loan. Finance of America Reverse was the first company that I contacted and they were real helpful. The process went really smooth and fast, and the rep Matthew was precise in what he was doing.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I'm 66 years old and I was spending money on a house that I'll probably never pay for. Finance of America Reverse was the only one that offered to help me out, and it seemed to work pretty well. The process was very tedious at one point as there were a lot of things I had to straighten out, but the young lady helped me all the way through. She directed me to what I needed to do, where I needed to go and who I needed to talk to to get the rest done. I don’t know if I would have gotten through if it wasn’t for her, so I'm very appreciative to that. Though I should have gotten more considering the value of the house was more than what they said it was, I needed to get what I needed done and FAR helped me.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

My wife and I were very pleased with the way William ** handled our application for reverse mortgage. He led us through the process with great professionalism and a true interest in our understanding all aspects of the process. His follow-up was excellent and we found him to be a perfect gentleman at all times. I would highly recommend William to anyone interested in applying for a reverse mortgage.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

William **, with Finance America Reverse, was very professional and helpful throughout this process. I was nervous and asked many questions. William answered them all and reassured me with his knowledge and understanding. He made it clear that this was my choice, for my reasons, and that he was only there to help find a good fit for me. I appreciated his compassionate approach and would recommend William to anyone with equity in their home who may be looking for greater security as they age.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I worked at the mortgage industry before and I knew of Finance of America, what their size was, and what their reputation was. They had a big, giant office here right in Tulsa and I figured it’s probably a good scenario to go with somebody that’s kinda local. Also, I knew how they did business and I knew they were the good guys so I went with them. The application process was pretty seamless, pretty standard, and very typical of the industry and how it works. But the biggest thing was the loan officer. We started talking way before I even started looking for houses. I’ve been in the business for 44 years, so I know how to play the game. You don’t go looking for houses unless you know what you can buy. And I knew what I could buy, but I wanted to have them on board.

The loan officer was very easy to deal with and was not pushy at all. He called me out of the blue a month or so after I bumped into him originally just to touch base. Which, I can tell you from being in the industry, nobody does that. The mortgage business is, "Give me the deal right now. I don’t wanna wait a month, two months way down the road." So, having someone that was willing to wait and was willing to work with me while we waited was exactly what I wanted. And it couldn't have been better. The rate and terms can always be better but I felt what they gave me was fair. It was market. The costs are high in a reverse mortgage but I didn’t think their costs were out of line. Also, everything was above or everything was just as it was presented to me in the beginning.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I use my computer a lot to go online and get a look on things. A guy from Finance of America Reverse found my open website and left me an email. I wasn’t sure that I could go get another company in this place at first, because the other one kinda went belly-up. I called the company I was with to see if I could do a refinance thing because I heard every 18 months, if your house has increased, you can run it through them. And if they can, you can. They said they were not doing that anymore. Apparently, they’re sitting on everything. They bought out the company and hadn't had it too long. But apparently, there were some blunders and they weren’t doing any servicing. He said that I gotta go to my bank or find another reverse mortgage company. But I sure didn’t wanna go to my bank and make house payments again. So I ended up going with Finance of America Reverse.

Their rep helped me through all the process and it was quite an ordeal. We had to do everything from scratch again and it was a little bit tough. He would call me up about how far he had gotten or if I had to make some decisions until we finally got it all worked out. He kept calm for me. It was frustrating, but he did a good job on getting us all settled for me. They bought out the company for such and such and they showed the expenses by the time they were done. The buyout on the house was 143 and the total bill came to 160,000 when they were done with the charges and different things. I also managed to get a little more money out of it, so that helped us considerably. I would recommend Finance of America Reverse. Their rep fought pretty hard for me to get this all squared away.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I wanted to get my credit cards all paid off, so I wouldn't have any more stress in my life. I tried AAG first, but they turned me down because I changed jobs, so I went through Facebook and I found Finance of America Reverse. The loan officer was absolutely wonderful to me. He was so nice and very helpful. I do not regret doing the reverse mortgage at all and using them. I was very satisfied. I had already gotten pretty much everything gathered up for AAG, but Finance of America didn't ask for near the stuff AAG asked for. When I changed jobs, I left Walmart and went to work for a school district. AAG verified my employment five times with the school district, which I thought was a bit extensive.

I'm very satisfied with everything about Finance of America. I'm very happy with the rate I received and the terms are good. The cost is less than what AAG was gonna charge me and the interest rate is also better than what AAG was gonna charge me. I would recommend Finance of America to anybody. I don't stress. I paid off almost all my credit cards and I've been able to start paying on my cruise for me, my grandson, and my niece for this summer. Now, I can take them on their cruise and not stress about the money.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Finance of America Reverse was more interested in me than the other companies that I talked with. However, the application process took over a month and I had to repeat several things. The stuff that I had sent didn't get sent right and I kept having to redo it over again. It would help if they knew on the front end everything that they had to do. Instead, they get it in spurts. It was disconcerting to know that I have done all the things needed, then suddenly, I had to do all of them over again.

I worked with Nick, their loan officer, and he was wonderful. He was always so patient with me and whenever I asked dumb questions, he took the time to go through every one of them and explained it to me. He was excellent and he had the answer to my question right away. The rate and terms of the reverse mortgage could be a little better. I didn't get what I wanted to get for my house, but I knew they have a certain way that they have to do things. It was still better than the reverse mortgage solutions that I had.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I called Finance of America Reverse and then people with my local area code called me back. We worked together for a few months and I got approved. Finance of America Reverse is now setting up my reverse mortgage. Their service was very good and they gave me a lot of help.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I looked for a reverse mortgage company, and I found two. I worked with both of them, and then I got the best price. Finance of America Reverse gave me the most money, and their rate and terms were acceptable to me. Their underwriting process took about a month. The representative kept in touch with me and I called him with questions -- we kept each other up to date until it was done.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I looked online for reverse mortgage lenders. Some other people gave me a callback, but I wasn’t interested. Finance of America gave me a callback and this guy, Sherman, got me at the right time. He said we can pull out this much money and gave me the best offer. The application and underwriting process took a little longer than expected because when they did the credit check on my mom, she had so many open accounts and that's why we decided to do a mortgage first so we could pay everything off.

Instead of us closing in 30 days, it ended up taking some months. But the underwriting went well on the second time around. Sherman told us to just pay off those bills and we can show that the bills were paid and the cards were closed next month. He said my mom could meet the criteria and make it by. He was really helpful and he called me every day and let me know how the process was going. Sherman also told me that my mom doesn’t have to pay the money back, but I wanna be able to pay the money back because I don’t wanna wait till she dies. They explained to me that we could do that, and everything was okay. He kept saying that he will make it work.

In terms of the rates and terms, we’re on the adjustable rate. With the economy being the way it is, Sherman told me that the rate will fluctuate, and the rate moved at the time. He explained to me that I’m building equity as well, but I’m not looking to touch anything else. I just wanna start paying in the next three months and start putting back into the principal and the interest. All in all, the experience was pleasurable. Finance of America's employees were very professional. Sherman went out of his way to get the loan and got it through.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I looked up the different companies on the internet and I had a friend of mine check out a few of the companies. Finance of America Reverse and AAG came up as two of the top. I talked to representatives from both of them and gathered some information. I went back to America Reverse because of a particular employee, Jill, who walked me through the initial process. When I first made my inquiries, I wasn’t ready to do it. I was gathering information and hadn’t made up my mind about exactly what the timing was gonna be. I knew I needed to do it and she had the courtesy of giving me all the information without any pressure.

Two years before I actually did it, I called her with additional questions and she was always more than happy to give me answers without pressuring me at all. Plus, I didn’t get any of those back-up calls, which I don’t like to get. Once I’ve decided on something, I don’t need them to continue hounding me. I’ll get there when I’m ready. I expressed that to both agents but I was assuming that it was standard procedure to ignore the people they were talking to and go by whatever the company demands them to do. Jill didn’t do that and I felt she was paying attention to me. I went back there, compared offers, looked at who owned the companies, their stability and the parent companies of various things.

It also made the difference that I did not want to do business with the company that a few years down the road would sell the mortgage to someone else. It was one of the things Finance of America said they would not do and I gotta take their word for it, whereas AAG did not give those promises. Beyond that, they were equal. There were a few things here and there that Jill adjusted. They took some fee out from the final loan, instead of making me pay for it upfront, then I paid the appraisal. Those costs were taken out and written into the closing cost, so I didn’t have to take them out of my pocket. It was the personality and the fact that she made me believe what she was telling me, and she made me believe that I could trust her.

The application process was intimidating and extremely stressful. There was so much paperwork. There had to be 50 pages of more and most of us harried citizens go into this kind of thing, take a look at the volume of the paperwork, and you’re responsible for anything you sign. If you’re not an attorney and you don’t have a background in reading those, you’re intimidated within the first page, let alone the first 10 pages. If people were aggressively willing to apply themselves, they might get halfway through it. But if you don’t have that training and education, it’s an absolute “put a blindfold on and walk off to the end of the high dive” because that was as good as it gets. I have a friend that I didn’t have to pay an hourly attorney wage and when I signed all the papers, she sat with me and went over the documents one by one so I had that back-up that if I missed something, I wouldn’t be standing on thin air.

If I was sitting in a board meeting with a bunch of CEOs trying to tell them how to make the experience better, I’d tell them to go get Jill and put her in charge of training their liaison people. I’m picky, reasonably intelligent and somewhat articulate, and Jill walked away with it, not because of any money differences. AAG offered me a slightly better deal and it amounted to $500, but I went with Finance of America because I felt that, going forward, I could pick up the phone, call this woman and get a straightforward answer and not be left out in the cold. The best thing they can do is have people who really know what the overall picture is. They are as much an advocate for the borrower as they are for the company. If I were to say to friends who are considering doing this, I would recommend the company and direct them to Jill.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I'm a senior citizen on a fixed income, and I'm the sole support of my daughter and my grandson. I work full-time to pay my property taxes and I had no choice but to get a reverse mortgage. This is the second one I've done with Finance of America. First time, I did it with a broker and it was like giving up everything but my firstborn child. They wanted me to have a trust, which I updated, and they wanted the original trust. They also wanted me to pay off my solar lease, which I wouldn’t do because I couldn’t do the maintenance if I didn’t have the lease. The onerousness of the paperwork that they need is horrendous. Maybe that’s true of mortgages in general and not just reverse mortgages, but reverse mortgages require debt counseling, which you have to pay for. The second experience with Jill was much better than the one I had with the broker. She was wonderful and I was impressed by her fullness, attention to detail and knowledge.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

My mom's 70 years old and it was difficult for her to do the forms and things that needed to fill out and what she had to do. I walked with her through the counseling and all of it. I had called a couple of lending providers. When I called Finance of America Reverse, the second person that I spoke with took the time to explain to me, 'cause I told her I was trying to get information for my mom and my stepdad, and I didn't know what it entails or what they do. She directed me to a website, then proceeded to walk me through what was on the website and explained to me how and what it was done, and what the criteria were. This was before I agreed that I would use them and I was so impressed with that.

We started around October and we closed around December, which we could have closed early, although there were things that my family needed that I have to help them to get like the medical records but being that they were older, it just took a minute to get those in getting the appraisal done and scheduling it. Some of the stuff just took a little time. After Finance of America did the appraisal, there were a few things that needed to be done to the house before we could move forward so we had to get someone to come out and like say that the roof was actually good for another 10 years, because they had noticed some water stains inside the house. Those things took a little time, but overall, my experience with them was phenomenal.

The loan officer, Diana, was patient with my mother and if there was something that she couldn't get my mother to understand, she would call me and I'd call my mom, and Diana would explain to her again, with me listening. I was able to tell my mom about those and I'd say to Diana that I’ll take care of it, that we'll fax or email it to her. The other thing that I loved about it was that we could do everything by hand or fax or email, just a click of a mouse.

Working with Finance of America Reverse has certainly made my parents' living more comfortable. When my stepfather went to the nursing home, his social security income went with him. As a result of that, my mom was at a disadvantage 'cause almost all she had was her retirement income. She was struggling so this has had a tremendous impact on our lives. When it’s a choice between buying groceries and medicine, a choice that she didn't have, we were supplementing as we could 'cause we were never gonna let her go without. But this was gonna be on a continual basis and we couldn't keep supplying forever. We gotta take care of ourselves too.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I obtained other reverse mortgage quotes from multiple vendors in this industry and Finance of America Reverse LLC understood my financial needs in retirement and produced the best contract. Charles ** of Carmel, Indiana office listened to what I was trying to accomplish and was always available to answer all my questions and devise a plan to solve this problem with quick service and documentation. I trust his professional honesty and answers and that of Finance of America Reverse LLC and would recommend others to get their reverse mortgage through this company and agent. I was assisted at each step through the process and he produced the reverse mortgage in a timely manner. All details of documentation such as insurance evidence, photos, appraisal, notary signing and contract copies were assisted. I have now received my first of many monthly payments direct deposited to my account.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Mr. Charles ** answered all of my questions and never hesitated to remind me to contact him if I had any new questions as the refinance process progressed. If I requested that he run some figures for me he always responded immediately to my request. He was a consummate professional every time we spoke on the phone. I would not hesitate to tell my friends to contact Mr. ** if they should decide to refinance.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Finance of America Reverse's application process was awesome. It went great. And I spoke with Julia and she was awesome as well. She always returned my calls and answered my questions. And if she didn't know the answer, she would get back with me with the answers.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

The federal government has a thing wherein they can ask for two inspections to see what the property’s worth is, so they can ask for as much as they want. They can have more than the property’s worth and it is kinda screwy. I didn’t wanna make house payments and Finance of America paid for one of the inspections. The loan officer who helped me was awesome and went out of his way to help me. However, the rate and terms of the reverse mortgage I received were outrageous. It was expensive money, but it was my decision to make. I'd definitely recommend Finance of America. If people are looking to save money while doing their thing, they can do things like reverse mortgages.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Taylor ** & FAR were not my first my first choice mostly because I found them late in the process. But Taylor stayed in touch as I worked through the process with the vendor I had chosen. When things didn't work out there, he was ready and available to help. He was able to carry us through the process with no problems and answered all my concerns. I would not hesitate to recommend him.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Finance of America Reverse's application process was pretty easy. A lot of things came up, however, that we would've liked to have known at the beginning like paperwork, documentation, and testing on the house. It took almost four months to finish, and it was a hassle. The loan officer, nonetheless, did a good job. I just don’t think she was informed as well as she could have been because of all the new things that kept coming up. Their rates and terms could’ve been improved, too.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I had already done a reverse mortgage before and I paid it off. I started the process all over again ‘cause it’d really help me when I got it. Finance of America Reverse sets up an appointment to fill in the application, and I get all the paperwork together. It takes two to three months for everything to process through, and about halfway through, I do my GreenPath counseling to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. It's fairly easy. The loan officer Sherry was beautiful and I love her. She was always calling me back whenever I had any questions. I didn’t have to wait two or three days. She’d call me 15, 20 minutes after I called her with a question. The process was really simple because everything I was worried about, they answered beforehand. They did well by me and I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I lost my wife to cancer a few years ago, and I incurred a lot of debt. I talked to other lenders and ended up going with Finance of America Reverse because the rep that I was paired up with, Matt, was super to work with. He made sure to communicate frequently and I knew what was going on the whole process. I would recommend them to anybody wanting to do the same thing.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My dad was of advanced age and we needed financial help for him for seniors and things of that nature as well as to maintain his home. We called LendingTree and we were referred to Finance of America Reverse. My brother sells insurance so it was him who initiated it but we were pleased with it. We got the counseling to let us know what it was all about which was very beneficial. The application and underwriting process went okay. Everything had to be notarized so it was a little difficult setting that up but we were able to get it done.

The rep was very helpful and contacted us with different things. We needed to get a letter from my father’s physician saying that he was of solid mind to have me be the power of attorney. The doctor that he had has retired and the doctor that he is currently seeing is a younger physician and we have seen him only a couple of times. We were able to get that rectified but the time that it took to get it all done was a little cumbersome for us and took longer than we anticipated. Still, I would recommend Finance of America Reverse. Now, we can get my dad what he needs for his health. Also, his heater went out and we already had it looked at. His fan motor was burnt out. The central heating unit is old so, we’re gonna use the money for that.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I’d been thinking about reverse mortgages for a bit and decided to look into it. Amber from Finance of America Reverse was pleasant to talk to, but the application process was a pain. Also, I never received the welcome package that I was supposed to get. They said that I should be receiving it, but I never did so I’m a little concerned about that.

Finance of America Reverse response

Hi Gary,

I'm sorry to hear you thought the application process was a pain. We do our best to make the process as easy as possible for our clients. We have reached out to our servicing oversight team to find out why you have not received your welcome packet, which should have arrived by now. We will let you know when we hear back.

Finance of America Reverse expert review by Michele Lerner

Finance of America Reverse has been servicing mortgages and reverse mortgages since 2003. It consistently gets high scores on customer satisfaction surveys.

• Provides comprehensive information: Finance of America Reverse offers a Reverse Mortgages 101 page as well as an FAQ page to ensure every customer understands what reverse mortgages entail.

• Focuses solely on reverse mortgages: Consumers can easily find the loans they are looking for since Finance of America Reverse doesn’t service any other type of mortgage.

• Customer service: Finance of America Reverse offers 24-hour customer service by phone and email. Consumers can easily resolve problems or get questions answered.

• Loans: Finance of America Reverse provides HECM loans.

• Best for: Seniors on fixed income and seniors who want to enjoy their later years.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Finance of America Reverse Company Information