toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

George,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. We are so happy to hear that your experience with us was very easy and upfront. Thank you for working with Finance of America Reverse, if you have any questions please contact us.

- FAR

Original review: May 25, 2017

I'm 78 years old. I had a wife to attend to and Finance of America Reverse were very easy to deal with and honest. I struggled for years and I got my credit land where I could do it. The loan officer was nice and he was on top of the job. During the process, he would call and stay in touch. That impressed me and everything has turned out good.

James,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. It is great to hear that you had a successful experience and that you are very please with the outcome. We appreciate your choice to work with Finance of America Reverse.

- FAR

Original review: May 24, 2017

I first read about the agent I dealt with, who I thought was in Tuscaloosa, Alabama and that's why I contacted her. I had her phone number and her work number and I had day-by-day contact with her. But later I learned that she was in California. Of course I lived 36 years in California, so I learned a lot about the program there. And then later on, I dealt with a lady in New York as well. It's a finance institution that handled the thing. Both ladies were very cordial and helpful. And then I went through the whole procedure to learn what mortgage it was and how it would affect me, and I decided to go ahead and do it.

I wanted to get some assistance because my total income was my social security benefit. But the rates are a little bit higher than I wanted, but the interest rates on paying back is like 6%. Of course, that's above most interest rates today in my position anyway. Then they told me a couple of times that I was gonna close, and then something else that was overlooked would come up, and I'd have to get another guy to come out to get me to sign stuff. But I've completed it all and was successful in getting the fund that I needed. I'm pleased with it.

Nora,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs. It is wonderful to hear that you had such a great experience working with Andrew. We are so happy that he was able to answer all of your questions and walk you through the process. Thank you for choosing to work with Finance of America Reverse.

- FAR

Original review: May 11, 2017

Andrew explained all my options. He was very easy to talk to and answered all of my questions in language I could understand without overwhelming me. I was not sure if this was the right decision for me or not. He listened to me until I talked through it and came to my own decision that reverse mortgage was the right choice for me. Without Andrew I know this process would not have been so easy... I would have come out on the other side questioning myself. So I thank Andrew ** for all his help and dedication in making me feel I was his only client. I also want to mention, if I had a question he wasn't sure of he would ask until he found out the correct answer. I would not have gone with this company had it not been for Andrew. I had spoke to a few other Reverse mortgage companies but chose Finance of America Reverse… because I felt so comfortable with Andrew right off the bat.

Harold,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Consumer Affairs. It is great to hear that you had a good experience with the representatives that you have talked with and we hope it continues. Thank you for choosing Finance of America Reverse.

- FAR

Original review: May 6, 2017

My wife has cancer and I need the money to pay some doctor bill so I used Finance of America Reverse. The representatives have been real nice and courteous if I have talked to them.

Judith,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. We are happy that your experience with your loan officer was helpful and that you are satisfied with your guidance from Finance of America Reverse.

- FAR

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Brandon, the Finance of America Reverse loan officer, was very nice and helpful. Overall, the guidance I received from Finance of America was all right.

Phyllis,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs. We are happy to hear that your process from start to finish went faster than you expected. It is great to know that the process went faster than you expected and that everything is going well now. We appreciate your choice to work with Finance of America Reverse.

- FAR

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I had some debts and I wasn't ever going to be able to pay it back any other way. I decided on a reverse mortgage with Finance of America Reverse and they called me on the phone 10 minutes after I went on the computer. I had an excellent counselor and the whole thing went very smoothly. They explained everything and that it would take a longer time, but it did not really take very long to do the whole operation. They arrived on time when I had an appointment and they did what they said they were going to do. Everything is going well now. They solved my problems and I was really pleased.

John,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. We are so happy to hear that Finance of America Reverse was able to help you. It sounds like you had a great experience with your loan officer through the reverse mortgage process. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you.

- FAR

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Doing a reverse mortgage was going to help me out through a rough spot. I answered Finance of America's ad to know more about it and the more I talked to them, the more I realized that it's what I needed to do. Their loan officer was great. She helped me through every step of the way, smoothed over all the rough spots, and if I had any questions, she was right on top of it. Finance of America had gotten me all through my reverse mortgage so it felt like they were holding my hand the whole way. I was very impressed with them.

Barbara,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs about your reverse mortgage experience. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed working with Toby and that he was able to answer all of your questions throughout the process. Thank you for allowing Finance of America Reverse the opportunity to serve you. If you ever have any questions about your reverse mortgage in the future, don't hesitate to call.

- FAR

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Finance of America Reverse was the first lender to answer my questions and their loan officer, Toby, was the first one that I talked to, so I figured that I'd go with them for my reverse mortgage. Toby was very good and he was always there if I needed him. I liked most that he'd always call right back if I called, even if I didn't leave a message and whether he was in the office or not. He answered any question that I needed answering and did very well in guiding me. What I didn't like, was that Finance of America needed to put the appraisal up first instead of waiting until I signed all the papers and they had the appraiser come in, but lenders all do this same thing. Also, the appraiser kept saying that my garage was a shop when it’s not. If she wants to be technical, it's an old house turned into a garage because it has the kitchen sink and the bathtub still in there. Then I had to paint the inside of the place because she called it a shop.

Karin,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs. It is great to hear that your attorney connected you with Finance of America Reverse. We are happy that you are so satisfied with your loan officer and the information and guidance we was able to provide you. We appreciate your recommendation.

- FAR

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

When we had the recession, we had our own business but we lost it and most of our retirement money. Our finances got really bad. We were talking to our attorney and he found Finance of America Reverse for us. Jason, the loan officer was absolutely fabulous. He wanted the information and we got it for him. He was very helpful, explained everything and constantly called to ask us how it was going. Everything was perfect and I will recommend him to anybody.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Finance of America Reverse?

Resolution In Progress

Wesley,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs. We are so sorry to hear that your reverse mortgage was a longer process than expected. We strive to be upfront and thorough with the application process to protect all parties involved. Once again we are sorry for the delay but happy that you are satisfied with your reverse mortgage from Finance of America Reverse. If you ever have any questions regarding your reverse mortgage, don't hesitate to call.

- FAR

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

My wife passed away in December last year. I lost one income when I'm used to two and my retirement and resources in social security were not that much so the reverse mortgage was something to help me each month. One company called me about doing it with them and they told me that if they couldn’t complete the process in 40 to 60 days, they’d give me $500. I told Finance of America about that offer and their guy said that that company couldn’t do it in that period and that I should go with Finance of America instead. He also told me that they can do it in 60 to 90 days and I wanted to go their route because they’re in Texas and closer to home.

The loan officer that I worked with was upfront and very thorough. It was a learning program for me but he was great to me starting into it. But the house was priced for 241,000 and I didn’t get any equity. I owed 100,000 so there’s 140,000 that’s floating around. The way I look in it is not the way they look in it but they were happy to get the house. The timeframe was also aggravating because they kept saying to give them another two or three weeks and that it’ll be the last step, but there’s always one more and the whole process took nearly a year to get to go through. I thought we’re going to settle out in January. I had a funeral I had to pay for and I thought the reverse mortgage will kick in and free up some money. But on January, February and March, it didn't happen. Then on April, we got it in the end of the line.

The first appraisal went so long and I had to pay for another portion of the appraisal so that was not a good situation. I also had to get my certificate twice and that’s 125 dollars each. I told them that I thought they were there to help me save money but they’re costing me more money than what they’re saving me. I questioned their professionalism a little bit and the length of time it took to complete the process. But once we finally got everything lined out and the papers signed, I finally realized the reverse mortgage was a true deal. So it made me feel better and right now, it’s helped.

Linda,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs. It is wonderful to hear that we were able to help you and that your experience with your loan officer was very nice.

- FAR

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Finance of America Reverse was the only one that called me back and they were very helpful. The loan officer was also very friendly and nice. I'm very satisfied.

Ronald,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. We are pleased to hear that Robert was able to guide you through the reverse mortgage process and provide you with answers to all of your questions from start to finish. Thank you for the kind words and choosing to work with Finance of America Reverse.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I had a very good experience working with Mr. Robert ** and his company. He could always take the time to answer all my questions and concerns. It in all was a very smooth process from start to finish. I would recommend using Finance America Reverse to anyone. I would also recommend contacting Robert ** for your finance needs, you will find he is a dedicated specialist and works hard to please!

Rick,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. There are many situations where reverse mortgages can be utilized and it is great that we were able to help your situation. We are happy to have been there for you to answer all of your questions and walk you through the reverse mortgage process. We appreciate you choosing to work with Finance of America Reverse.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I’ve been studying reverse mortgages for 20 years. Many years ago, I was an estate planner. And many times, one of the things I would recommend that my clients or an attorney look into for them was a reverse mortgage, if that’s what best fit their situation. Then when I thought that there was a possibility that one might work out for me, I started following them on an even more depth. And in my research, I came across Finance of America Reverse. The more I researched, the more they came to the top.

The reverse mortgage allowed me to get twice as much house for the same amount of money down. The steps took months, but the loan officer treated me great. We talked about what my ideas and plans were and their thoughts on my plan. I had to talk to a counselor, and every step of the way they were right there with me, helping me with whatever steps we took. It was like a little kid going to kindergarten and somebody was walking through and holding their hand. And up to this point, everything they said they would do, they have done.

Elizabeth,

Thank you for leaving a review on Consumer Affairs. It is great to hear that your interactions with Marina were wonderful. We are happy that she was able to answer all of your questions and explain the entire reverse mortgage process. We strive to go out of our way for our customers. Thank you for choosing to work with Finance of America Reverse.

- FAR

Original review: July 30, 2017

My brother and I went through several companies on the internet and Finance of America was possibly the best one. We talked to a couple of other people first but we were not happy with them. Our interaction with Marina, the loan officer, was the most wonderful one. Anytime I asked a question of any kind, she answered it and went into it with me over and over if needed. She was extremely helpful and very patient. They did a very good job with discussing my options with me. I was pleased. It was the best experience I could possibly have, especially with Marina. She went out of her way to help me and Finance of America couldn’t have been any better. They were perfect.

James,

Thank you for leaving a review on Consumer Affairs. We're happy to hear that your loan officer was able to provide you with all the information that you needed and walk you through the reverse mortgage process. It is great to hear that a reverse mortgage from Finance of America Reverse was exactly what you wanted. Thank you for leaving a review and sharing your story with us.

- FAR

Original review: July 29, 2017

I wanted a reverse mortgage so I would be mortgage-free. I wouldn't have to make payments and I could use that money for something else. The loan officer from Finance of America Reverse was very knowledgeable, courteous, and made it sound like it was what I wanted. We did everything over the phone and by e-mail, and everything went very smoothly. No one twisted my arm and it was exactly what I wanted.

Paul,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. We are happy to hear that your loan officer was able to explain all of the benefits in a clean manner. Thank you for choosing to work with Finance of America Reverse.

- FAR

Original review: July 28, 2017

With my age, I thought it was time for me to get a reverse mortgage. I went with Finance of America Reverse as they had the best rating. The loan officer I spoke with was good at explaining and he wasn’t pushy. He was also very clear on discussing my options. Overall, I was 100% happy with them.

William,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. It is great to hear that you were able to find the guidance you needed from our loan officer. We strive to be there for you and help you understand our product and if it is right for you. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

- FAR

Original review: July 27, 2017

I was looking at different options and reverse mortgage was one of the viable options so I thought I would take a look at it. Finance of America Reverse contacted me and the mortgage officer that I dealt with knew what he was talking about. The people there were very pleasant, helpful and they weren’t aggressive as far as trying to force me into anything. They were there to answer my questions and I appreciated that. The guidance they provided was very thorough as well.

Teresa,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. It is great to hear that Monica was able to provide you with help throughout the reverse mortgage process. We appreciate your kind words and thank you for choosing to work with Finance of America Reverse.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Thanks to you Monica for your great help! You did a great job "bird dogging" this loan! Being a rural gal, living between No Business Mountain {too many rattlesnakes) and Bull Mountain {Blue Ridge Mountain} I am not skilled in these issues. I really felt comfortable with your guidance. Thanks again!

Thomas,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Consumer Affairs. We are excited that you decided to utilize your existing equity in you home. Sometimes things don't move as fast as we would all like but we appreciate your patience with our team. Thank you for choosing to work with Finance of America Reverse.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I paid the house and I might as well get some money out of it so I signed up for a reverse mortgage at Finance of America Reverse. I talked with their reps and we went through the procedures and what they do. They're a little slow to settle but I got very good guidance from them.

Alan,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs. We are happy to hear that our loan officer was able to guide you through the reverse mortgage process and answer all of your questions about the product. We appreciate your recommendation of our services.

- FAR

Original review: July 25, 2017

I wanted the reverse mortgage for security reasons. It took a long time to decide I was going to do it and the loan officer from Finance of America Reverse was good to me. She helped me through it, talked to me and when I had questions I'd call her up. I've been paying the interest on my mortgage and on the first payment I even paid some of the principal. Everything's been fine so far and I’d recommend them to a friend.

Larry,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs. It is great to hear you were pleased with our service and that our staff was reliable and efficient. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you and the recommendation of our services.

- FAR

Original review: July 24, 2017

Finance of America Reverse was good about explaining and setting up everything. They seemed to know what they’re doing and they follow up and keep in contact. Everything that we went through was handled well and efficiently and it went a lot quicker than I thought it would. They discussed all the options. And I decided that reverse mortgage was the best plan to go especially that we only wanted to get some money and I didn’t want to take a loan. I was very satisfied and I would highly recommend Finance of America for anyone who wants to deal with a reverse mortgage or anything of that nature.

Ronald,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Consumer Affairs. It is great to hear that the benefits of a reverse mortgage were appealing to your situation. We are ecstatic to hear that your experience with your loan officer and rates were the driving factors behind a reverse mortgage. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.

- FAR

Original review: July 23, 2017

I did a lot of reading on reverse mortgages and I know what it was capable of doing for us removing the mortgage payments and allowing us to, over time, use the equity versus selling and moving into something smaller. I was extremely pleased with my dealings with the officer from Finance of America. I wound up dealing with three different companies and we narrowed it down all the way to making a decision. 50% of my decision was based on his dealing with me and his attitude and the other 50% was based on the rates and the numbers that came about. He was open, sat patiently and fully explained what was going on. It was a very good experience.

Charles,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs. We strive to have well trained and knowledgeable staff to work with you to make sure that you qualify for the FHA insured loan. We are happy that your experience with your loan officer was friendly and helpful through the whole process. If you have any questions about your reverse mortgage, don't hesitate to call your reverse mortgage specialist.

- FAR

Original review: July 21, 2017

I was trying to generate money for my business. I went online and LendingTree popped up. I filled it out to see how much I could qualify for, and within 45 minutes of doing that, Finance of America Reverse called. The rep explained to me that LendingTree was a portal. He also said that I would be getting a bunch of other calls and all these other people will come to me for the loans and they would add their fees. One of them picked a town near here and had a southern accent and talked up a storm. Then at the very end, she said I didn't qualify. So I ended up calling the rep from Finance of America and we proceeded from there.

The rep was knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. But I wish there could have been a little more done because one of the other companies was promising that I would get $30,000 this year then another $30,000 next year. With Finance of America, they gave me only $5,000 which I wasn't happy with. But at that time, I needed that and the rep was the only one willing to talk. I put my business up for sale and once that's all set and done, I will be paying off the reverse mortgage. But I'm happy with my experience with Finance of America overall.

Thomas,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. It is great to hear that you choose to do a reverse mortgage and that you were able to learn so much about the product. We appreciate your choice to work with Finance of America Reverse. If you ever have any questions about your reverse mortgage, don't hesitate to contact your loan officer.

- FAR

Original review: July 20, 2017

My investor that I work with suggested getting a reverse mortgage. We had been checking around and have taken the course on reverse mortgages. The other companies were hemming and hawing about the price. One of them even said that they'll beat whatever price that I got which was not fair. But, Finance of America Reverse gave me a good price right off the bat. They felt like a good company to go with. Dealing with their loan officer has been pleasant. We asked for certain things and we got the information that we needed. They are straight to the point and easy to deal with.

Raymond,

Thank you for leaving a review on Consumer Affairs. We are so happy that Linda was able to move quickly and take the time listen to your situation and answer your questions. It is great to hear that you had a good experience working with Linda and Finance of America Reverse and that you have recommended us to your friends.

- FAR

Original review: July 17, 2017

I’ve lived here a long time. I’m single and I don't have any family. I don’t have a wife and children. With the reverse mortgage, I’ll have extra money and I can do things that I want to do and take care of myself a little better because I have some health issues and medication can be expensive. I read things over and decided to do it.

Linda, who helped me out with this got me through it quickly. She listened, explained things and went through the other things that I had to go through such as the counseling, even when it was time to close. She was friendly and nice. When I was first thought about it, I called her and we talked. I wanted to do more investigation and reading so I told her that we’ll get back together this Fall. Fall came and she called but I pushed it back till after Christmas, by which time I was ready to talk about it. She wasn’t pushy. I had a very good experience with Finance of America Reverse. I’ve recommended it to a couple of other friends.

John,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. We are happy that we were able to help you and answer all of your questions about the product. Thank you for the kind words and choice to work with Finance of America Reverse.

- FAR

Original review: July 16, 2017

Social Security doesn't go anywhere and I was continually going behind and so I started looking into reverse mortgages. I started with another company but Finance of America jumped in there and helped me so much more than the other people were doing. They answered all of our questions, sent us copies of whatever they were doing and walked us through the process. It was during the winter time and they worked on it for three months before we had it done. It was their office in San Diego that contacted me. and they didn’t let grass grow under their feet. They were Johnny on the spot and they helped us every way they could and I really appreciated them. Overall, our experience has been great.

Patricia,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs and sharing your kind words about our service. We are so happy that we were able to answer all of your questions and help you through the reverse mortgage process. Don't hesitate to reach out to your loan officer or any member of the Finance of America Reverse team if you have any questions or concerns about your reverse mortgage. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you and for your recommendation.

Original review: July 15, 2017

Finance of America were fantastic. I am very pleased with the way everything turned out. I had checked out five other companies also but Finance of America kept calling me to see if I was still interested and I kept putting it off while I was looking through these others. And then finally, I said "That's it" when they called again. We then started with everything. And if it wasn't for them, there were things that I needed to have done that was supposed to be done after my mom had passed was never done by the lawyer. And if I had tried to sell this house, I wouldn't have been able to.

I'm by myself. I don't have anything but my social security. And so, what I've done is I don't get everything. I don't take so much every month. Finance of America takes care of my taxes for me and my home insurance goes through them. I chose them because when I got all this stuff and I was reading it, I could see the difference in what they were saying in their paperwork rather than these others that didn't make any sense to me.

The loan officer was wonderful. He was so good to me, asks me if I have any question and even gave me his personal cell number to call him. They were really fantastic. If it wasn't for them helping me, being honest and letting me know that if I wanted to pay some money back, say if I won the lottery, I could. I don't have to but I can. They just went step-by-step with me. There was one here in town who sent me the paperwork, but never calls me back. And I'm like, "Well, he's supposed to do a reverse mortgage, now you send the paperwork out, you need to follow up." He never followed up once with me. So his paper went out in the trash.

It comforts me that if something happens to me, Patty, my goddaughter and to whom this house will go, will be given one year to decide what she wants to do, whether she wants to keep it or not. Most places will give you one month. And if she's 62, she would be able to do a reverse mortgage on the money that I have taken out. I was also told a lot of times it went with mortgages, they sell them to somebody else. Finance of America doesn't. Ten years down the line, if I have a question I can call them and they could pull up my file. My paperwork is still there 20 years down the line. My paperwork is still with them and they will not sell it. I've been so happy with them and I would recommend them wholeheartedly. They were the best I could ever have asked for.

Suzanne,

Thank you for leaving a review on Consumer Affairs. We are happy to hear that your entire experience was pleasant and that Toby was able to be Johnny-on-the-spot with everything you needed from answering your questions to guiding you through the reverse mortgage process. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you and your recommendation of our services.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I had debts that I wanted to pay off and I needed to paint my house. I heard a couple of my friends had a reverse mortgage and I liked what I heard even though I was a nervous wreck about it for some reason. According to the Better Business Bureau, Finance of America Reverse was one of the top five. When I called them, I immediately felt relaxed and comfortable with Toby, the young man who helped me. He answered my questions and he was very careful to try and address all issues that I was concerned about. I also talked to four others and I felt very comfortable with the company over the others.

I was surprised he advised against taking the whole amount that you could have for the first year. He said, "Of course, it's up to you. But why would you want to do that?" A couple of other companies were pushing and talking about the full amount for the first year. So, I felt very comfortable that I was being guided properly. From start to finish, they were Johnny-on-the-spot filling me in what to expect which is important to know and in calming my brain. I expressed that I was a nervous wreck about it and he said it was rightly so since this was a big step. They're professional from A to Z and they met the demand. I would definitely recommend them.

Frederick,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs. We are pleased to hear that your loan officer was able to answer all of your questions around the reverse mortgage process. Thank you for choosing to work with Finance of America Reverse.

- FAR

Original review: July 14, 2017

We had $30,000 in back-property-taxes, so we had to do a reverse mortgage. Also, my 95-year-old mother lived here her whole life and she wants to do everything possible to die in this house. Finance of America Reverse got a lot of good reviews and they seemed to be the best choice. It was a little tough along the way cause of a lot of things to figure out and understand. But, the loan officer walked me through most of it. Also, I've had a few thousand questions and he answered all of them for me and explained the things that I didn't understand. There were a few hiccups but I expected that.

Vicki,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. We are happy to hear that your loan officer was able to help you through the reverse mortgage process. Collecting all of the documentation is no easy task sometimes but allows all parties to be safe in the transaction. Thank you for choosing to work with Finance of America Reverse.

Original review: July 13, 2017

My Reverse Mortgage closed yesterday after 13 months of processing. FAR was always right on top of everything and had to assist me getting current documentation and information from my homeowner's association. If you really want a Reverse Mortgage make sure in advance that your homeowner's association has current and accurate documentation that FHA/HUD needs to process and approve your application.

Marsha,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. We are pleased to hear that we have been able to make an impact in your mother's life with a reverse mortgage. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and your family.

Original review: July 13, 2017

My mother was running out of money and she needed care, and the reverse mortgage was the only option. Then my brother set it up and we ended up with Finance of America Reverse. It really made a huge difference in my mother's life. The loan officer was a real nice young lady. She’s very helpful, friendly, and we really enjoyed her. We've done the reverse mortgage three times now. It was easy overall.

Edward,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs. We are happy to hear that you were able to serve you through our reverse mortgage process.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I was with another lender before. And when I wanted to increase my reverse mortgage amount, they referred me to Finance of America Reverse. I went back and forth for a long time dealing with the loan officer because it was a super jumbo loan. But I am satisfied with the guidance and service they gave to me.

David,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Consumer Affairs and sharing your story. It sounds like you and Julie hit it off and she was able to make the process easy for you. We are pleased that you chose to work with Finance of America Reverse and we appreciate your recommendation of our services and of your loan officer.

- FAR

Original review: July 12, 2017

I'm disabled and on a fixed income, and I couldn't afford to keep paying the mortgage and the bills. This is the second time I've gotten a reverse mortgage and this way, I'm able to live. Initially, I filled up something online and the next thing I knew, the Finance of America rep Julie called me. She’s a wonderful person with a great personality. She was nice and friendly and she told me what I needed to do without overstepping her boundaries. Before that, I had been trying to apply for a VA loan and people called me telling me what they could do for me. I spent almost $2,000 of money I didn’t have to get appraisals done and then all of a sudden they left me hanging. But I never encountered that with Finance of America Reverse. Julie was in touch with me just about everyday. She’d even call me on her way home to check and make sure I was okay. She was one of the best I've ever met over the telephone.

Anytime something started going awry, Julie was there. I was having a problem getting a mortgage counselor and at first, I told her she probably didn't have time but she said, “I work for you. I got time for it.” On top of that, she was from Philadelphia and she was even calling long distance. She spent two hours with me going over the sheet she sent me and we found a mortgage company that would do it until the reverse mortgage went through. She could have gotten me one where I got several thousand dollars of money, but she didn’t do that. She applied me for a mortgage that's gonna pay my taxes and my insurance. I don’t have to worry about that anymore and that’s the best thing she's ever done for me.

I don’t want to be a burden to my children and this way I'm not. When I didn't have the $1400 a month from Finance of America, I had a $600 mortgage payment and a $200 bill every month. I also had to have some type of entertainment and my cable and my computer was $150 a month. That doesn't leave much for anything else. I couldn’t even afford to have my vehicle fixed, buy gas or leave home. Since I took the reverse mortgage, I've got my vehicle going. It's in good shape now and I'm able to go see my kids.

Overall I can't praise Julie and Finance of America Reverse enough. I couldn’t believe how she took my financial situation and turned it around so I'll never be a burden. I know she had other customers and I don’t know how she did it, but she is good at what she does. And Finance of America was just so wonderful. Plus, if I ever want to pay it off so I can own a home tax-free, all I gotta do is call them up and start making payments. This is one of the best things to ever be put out there. I'd recommend Finance of America Reverse to anybody and I would advise everybody over 62 years old to go this route.

Barbara,

Thank you for leaving a review with Consumer Affairs and sharing your story. We are so happy that our loan officers were able to talk with you about your needs and how a reverse mortgage can help. We know that a reverse mortgage is not for everyone and that is why we don't try to push it on people - just identify each persons needs and help them do what is best for them. It is great that you and Olivia are keeping in contact and have built a relationship. Feel free to reach out to her if you have any questions or any other member of the Finance of America Reverse team. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you.

- FAR

Original review: July 11, 2017

My money was getting a little lower. And I like to be completely independent. And I try to get all of my eggs in one basket. So, of course I don't know what the future holds, but I decided to get a reverse mortgage so that I can plan as well as I can to stay independent. I had a very good experience with Finance of America Reverse. I couldn't have asked for anybody to be more helpful. Their attitude is tremendous. I had talked to their rep prior to June of last year. And I was still turning it over in my head but I was very impressed with the couple of conversations we had. And then I just laid it down for a while. I also talked to some other companies but I was not nearly as impressed as what I was with the Finance of America rep.

I also spoke with one gentleman from another company two to three times and he was a little pushy. But finally, one day, he said, "Now, just be honest with me. Are you going to do this or not?" I said, "I'll tell you one thing, I'm probably about 95% sure that I'm going to do it but I'm a 100% sure you're not going to do it for me." And that was the last conversation we had.

But with Finance of America, I like that they're not pushy. Their rep answered my questions in a way like we were sitting at a table just having a conversation. It's very relaxed but also you knew that you could go to the bank pretty much with what he was telling you. From the very beginning, I just felt very comfortable with him. And when I was ready to do it, I found that he had been promoted and there was a young lady that had taken his place. And that gave me a little concern. But after talking with her two or three times, I felt like my concerns were totally unfounded.

I've sang their praises and everything. Olivia, the girl that took the first rep's position, we laughed a lot on the phone and she said, "I don't think you're 78 years old." And I said, "Well, if you could see me, you would." And she said, "But you got such a good sense of humor." And I said, "I'm going to live 'till I die." But anyhow, she said, "Please let's keep in touch. It doesn't have to be on a business basis but I just want to know that everything is fine with you." And I've gotten two personal cards from her. One I've got first part of this week. Just touching base and telling me how much she had enjoyed our conversations and she thinks about me often.

So I'm completely satisfied. I think entering into a reverse mortgage was the best thing I could have done. I'm not all that easy to please, but I would recommend Finance of America Reverse to anybody. Any doubts that I might have been entertaining, they get away with those just almost immediately with the answers that they would give me for questions. That comfort I've felt was just a pleasurable experience. At the end of everything, I knew I had made the right decision.

Finance of America Reverse Company Profile