Learn More
  2. Reverse Mortgages
Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.38/5

American Advisors Group (AAG) is the leading reverse mortgage provider in the United States. Our mission is to help adults 62+ improve their lives and plan for retirement through reverse mortgages.

AAG is a U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development Approved Lender, a member of the National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association, and a Top 3 place to work in Orange County, California.

American Advisors Group Video
American Advisors Group Gallery (1)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

AAG offers jumbo and conforming reverse mortgages and refinance loans. Their specialists are knowledgeable, and the online loan calculator gives you an idea of your loan options without submitting personal contact information.

PROS

• Free online loan calculator
  • Professional customer service
  • Loans up to $6 million

CONS

• Fees can add up quickly
  • Not available in Massachusetts

Top American Advisors Group (AAG) Reviews

Every facet of my Reverse Mortgage Loan was handled with respect and professionalism. It was made simple and they made sure each step was understood… They want you to be sure you understand each step.

... AAG stood by me all the way for getting me approved… They have all kinds of programs out there to help you. I did a thorough check of companies before I applied with AAG. Check them out. You will be happy you did.

American Advisors Group (AAG) Call Now Toll Free (800) 485-9418 Learn More

About American Advisors Group

AAG reverse mortgage company offers a range of mortgage loan tools for eligible borrowers. You can select from reverse mortgages, refinance loans or jumbo loans; plus, you can even buy or sell your home. As one of the largest reverse mortgage providers in the United States, AAG mortgage specialists educate clients about the importance of using home equity as a retirement tool. Through the AAG reverse mortgage calculator, you can enter your property and homeowner details for a quick, free loan estimate — their loan calculator doesn’t require personal contact information. AAG reverse mortgage calculator estimates don’t include fees.

American Advisors Group solutions

AAG reverse mortgages
AAG provides several reverse mortgage options for different financial situations. An AAG home equity solutions specialist can help you determine which reverse mortgage loan option is best for you.
  •  Lump-sum payout: With a lump-sum payout, you can draw 60% of your funds in the first year and access the maximum amount of cash to pay for large expenses like medical bills or home improvement projects.
  • Growing line of credit: Tap into your home equity for a line of credit you can access over time. The unused principal amount progressively increases.
  • Jumbo loan reverse: AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgage is a proprietary loan that lets you withdraw up to $6 million in equity. It’s possible to eliminate monthly mortgage payments and get the full amount at closing.
  • Term or Tenure: With a term or tenure reverse mortgage through AAG, get fixed monthly payments to supplement your retirement income. Select how long you’d like to get monthly payments with a term reverse mortgage or get monthly payments as long as you live in your house with a tenure reverse mortgage.
  •  Reverse for Purchase: Buy a new property with a reverse for purchase loan without additional monthly mortgage payments as long as you keep up with property taxes, homeowner’s insurance and home maintenance costs.
AAG refinance loans
AAG provides two refinance loan options, cash out or rate and term.
  • Rate and Term: With a rate and term mortgage from AAG, you can trade in your existing mortgage for a new loan with better terms or interest rates. This may decrease the amount you have to pay each month and adjust the duration of the loan.
  • Cash out: Cash-out refinancing turns your equity into tax-free cash. You can use the funds to finance a large purchase or pay off high-interest debt, and it’s sometimes possible to deduct your mortgage interest from your taxes.
AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgage
Those with high-value loans can access up to $6 million in equity funds. Homeowners’ age, the value of their home and interest rate determines AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgage amounts. Similar to traditional reverse mortgages, AAG Advantage jumbo borrowers must complete financial counseling to apply for the loan. AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgages also require a home appraisal, and jumbo borrowers must meet certain loan obligations, including payment of property taxes, homeowner’s insurance and keeping the property in good repair.
AAG Residential Services
American Advisors Group Residential Services (AAGRS) helps older adults buy or sell a home. AAG brokers can help those who want to relocate, downsize or move closer to friends or family.

American Advisors Group FAQ

What is AAG?
AAG (American Advisors Group) is a reverse mortgage lender that provides government-insured home equity conversion loans, jumbo refinancing loans and other mortgage loan options.
What fees does AAG charge?
AAG charges an origination fee, closing costs, servicing fees and mortgage insurance premiums when required by HUD. Fees roll into the balance of the loan, and AAG charges interest on your balance, which grows over time.
What is the AAG Foundation?
The AAG Foundation is a paid volunteer time-off program for full-time AAG employees. Through the program, employees get eight hours per year of paid service to AAG Foundation-approved activities.
Where are AAG loan options available?
AAG is licensed in every state except Massachusetts.

Do we recommend AAG?

Yes, American Advisors Group provides several financial tools that can make retirement planning easier. AAG reverse mortgage reviews indicate professional and knowledgeable customer service specialists. American Advisors Group complaints often refer to a lengthy process and paperwork, which is typical with most reverse mortgage lenders.

American Advisors Group (AAG) Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 4, 2020

I've watched the Tom Selleck ads on TV but I didn’t contact American Advisors Group until I saw it on Facebook. I came to a point where I had some unexpected large expenditures and rather than increase my home equity loan, it seemed like it was time for a reverse mortgage. I feel good about my decision and I'm looking forward to closing so that I can get on with life. Anthony, the rep, was great. He was always easy to reach, he explained everything thoroughly and he was very helpful. I tried through my credit union to get information about getting that reverse mortgage with them, and they were not as helpful and they were more difficult to reach. Whereas, Anthony was there all the time I needed him.

There were more costs than I expected there to be, but AAG is still better than being tied to a home equity line of credit that would take me years and years to pay off. I wanted to get rid of that financial stress. I don’t have any heirs to speak of, just nephews and nieces, and so using the equity of my home instead of scrimping and saving and praying it'll last till the pay date next payday seemed like it was time to go that way.

Anthony reassured me though that they would never sell the mortgage and that they would service it until I passed and yet, I just signed some documents yesterday, and one of them was that there was a possibility that they would sell the mortgage. So, that made me unhappy. Also, they’re using the title company that is owned 49% by the president of AAG, so I wasn’t sure I liked that because I don’t know if he would be likely to charge more than a local title company would. Even though I won’t be paying the cost because that would just be added to the principal loan amount, still, it means that I will have less equity if I ever sell the home or because I need to move somewhere else for my health. I would see until the loan closes and I'll find out whether or not it still goes as smoothly as it has been going.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Carol, thank you for your positive review. We strive to provide the best experience for you and we’re happy to see that it was reflected.

Get expert buying tips about Reverse Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 3, 2020

We started fixing the home before the situation came up. We have a new roof, new siding, and a new deck. We've got a carport and we're putting on a wall so that it can give us a little bit more protection for the cars and what's inside. May turn it into a garage. We put a lot into it, but it was the income tax that I had to pay that hurt me, which was $41,000. So I thought, "Uh-oh, I need to stop." I still got my Social Security coming through, but it's low. And they have to change that because they tapped it according to what I got from my company for retiring. Well, all that retirement has gone to pay and I was going to have a cushion, until 41,000 hit me.

I had a friend actually who had gone and done a reverse mortgage and he kept bugging me about it. Finally, I said, "You know what, I think I need it." So that's when I decided to do it. I did some research before I talked to AAG, and I wanted to make sure and go through it. I found it to be the best resolve for me. So I contacted AAG and Robert was the person I got. He has been absolutely great. He's easy to get ahold of, gave me all the answers and was thorough about it. I needed that, so that helped. He didn't push me in anything. He was very polite and told me things that I didn't know. If I didn't know what that thing was or what it was I thought I knew or I didn't know, he just made sure I understood.

I've gone through the counseling and signing the papers. The appraiser is coming tomorrow and then we'll do the final papers. I got something from my mortgage company and they're trying now to get me to go with them, but I'm not going to, because I don't want to go back into that situation. But the current balance has gone down, so that's good.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Janice, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are so happy to hear that you had such a great experience.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I did a Google search on the best reverse mortgage companies and I went through Consumer Report. I also did some research with AARP and with our HUD counselor. They had a list of reverse mortgage companies and American Advisors Group was at the top. So, we decided to go with them. My dad just passed away on October and it helped to know that my mom wouldn’t have to be putting out that amount of mortgage since her income would be cut in half as she would not have my dad’s security anymore. And the payout at closing really helped. Our rep, Jared, was good at explaining how the reverse mortgage worked with the interest, the home equity line of credit after the first year and how it builds on it, and that she can draw from it. He was very kind and considerate, too.

Aside from that, Jared was really good at answering all our questions. I tried to come up with as many of them as I could because I’ve heard both good and bad about reverse mortgages. In fact, I was talking to a friend the other day about it and I told her that we talked to our counselor like we were supposed to and he had no claim to any of this. He was just really good at walking me and my mom through the jargon and putting it into plain terms rather than just talking over us like some of them do so much. It felt like he was really on our side and that he was trying to do what was best for us and not just make money, which was a big selling point for my mom. We understand that they need to get something out of it, but the big sell was they wanted to help people to be able to stay in their homes.

I also liked that the rep gave us the three options for the fixed rate versus the variable interest rate. There are two types of variable interest rates and he was explaining the differences as well as what would be best for us. He didn’t try to push us into one or the other, and what he said would be best for us was the same thing that our counselor told us would be best for us. And that really made me feel good that he wasn’t trying to pull our leg. Other than that, our representative was very conscientious about what my mom’s going through. He was gonna call in one day and he called me first. Then, when I told him that she was having a really hard day, he was very understanding and just told me to let him know when he could call and talk to her.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

I was looking into doing a mortgage with Discover Bank and my brother-in-law said, "You know, they're not the only ones out there." That got me to thinking, and then I got an email about the AAG, so I thought what's the harm in just asking for information? And so, I did and I got a callback within less than an hour after putting my information in. And they have rolled on this so much. It was November when I talked to Antoinette from AAG and the process was rolled right along. With the Discover Bank, I started this process in September. It is December now and they are still horsing around. With Discover, if they sent somebody out to do an appraisal of my house, they never set a time, they never came inside, nothing. At least, with AAG, they've had an appraiser come in and take pictures so they could appraise the house.

On top of that, Discover Bank decided that they had to pay off all of my creditors like my credit cards and my student loan. That was their choice, not mine, and so, I was gonna end up with $30,000 and that was it. I was gonna have to pay them $805 a month to pay them back. With AAG, after having talked to Antoinette, “I can pay if I want to, I don't have to” kind of a thing. And I've talked to my kids and decided that AAG is a much better way to go than the other one because with the other one, I'd be in the same boat I was in. How do I save up the money that I need to save up every month to pay the big bills like the taxes and the house insurance at the end of the year? I need to put so much away. If I'd be paying the Discover one, right now it's really great, but when it got down to the to the tax bill, I wouldn't have anything put away. This is why I'm hopefully finishing up with AAG.

AAG reps are awesome. If you call, they call you right back. I feel much better working with Antoinette, especially with the notary coming out for me to sign all of that stuff, and for an actual assessor to come out and actually look at the house and take pictures. And so, I told the Discover people I didn't wanna pursue it. AAG has gotten to the point where I've signed a bunch of documents in front of the notary and they've had the assessor come out. The assessor has to do their thing and get it back over to Antoinette and then we're into the closing. So, for less than a month, we've gone a long way.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I’m basically up against the wall right now. The house needs repairs, and the mortgage company that my father left me has been pressuring me to sell the house and give it to them. But I’m not giving up a quarter million dollar house for $20,000, especially this is the house I grew up in. Looking into reverse mortgage, I compared AAG against other organizations and George, my point of contact, gave me a number that I was happy with. My wife and I went over their estimate and it looked like the numbers were right.

George has been exemplar in what I ask him to pull off, and I give him what he needs almost immediately. I asked him what’s the best way to get this expedited and he said that since I have given everything they requested and filled out the application, it’s already on its way. The appraisal fees were also paid so, hopefully, we’re gonna have an appraisal made on October 1st. We also had the notary over here just the other day, and she was surprised that we had all our documentation ready for her.

I used to be a mortgage processor myself back in the day, and my wife worked 14 years at a title insurance company. And everything that we’re seeing with AAG is what should be done. I’ve seen companies drag their feet and they take their time so long. But ours is running as well as we can we expect. Also, George and I both agreed, how many times we’ve seen the final settlement go sideways, and that’s what we’re trying to avoid. Him and I go back and forth almost everyday, either by emails or by phone. I notice there’s a three-hour delay because he’s out in California and we’re here in the East Coast. But I deal with all kinds of hours, so that’s not a problem. He has been very attentive and he's just been good. He said we could go as fast or as slow, and I told him we're going full throttle.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Advisors Group?

Original review: March 31, 2020

When I went on the internet searching for reverse mortgages, I found AAG. The loan officer was young, excited and enthusiastic. I did the application, but AAG started calling back too soon, even though I told them I needed time to think about it. After I told the loan officer that, some man called. He must have been her supervisor. He rattled on and on. I felt they were being too pushy and didn't give me a chance to think so I abandoned that search with them. They are competitive though. I’ve looked at a couple of others since then and I have seen a really big difference.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Deborah, thank you for the constructive feedback. We will look into this to further improve the quality of our service.

Original review: March 28, 2020

I have seen American Advisors before on advertisements on TV and in magazines, and decided to go with them. But with everything that has been going on, I haven’t had the time to complete the process. I started calling for the counselling and didn’t continue with it. I called a couple of places and the rep told me to keep on calling, but I didn’t and something happened. So, I haven’t scheduled one yet. But the rep has been very good about understanding me. He has been very nice and helpful.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Judy, thank you for your positive review! We strive to provide the best experience for you and we’re happy to see that it was reflected.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I felt like getting a reverse mortgage was a good thing to do and started the process with AAG. At first, we had Joe, who was a great guy. But all of a sudden, he just disappeared and they passed us off to another guy. We weren't very happy about that because Joe was doing a great job with us. He was very friendly and knowledgeable in handling everything, about all our questions and in moving us right along. The other guy AAG gave us seems to be doing okay.

It has been a few weeks, but the hold up was on us. We had to put a roof on the house and got that done last week. We didn't want the appraisal to come out until the roof was done. The appraiser came out today and we got the appraisal done, and we're moving on from there. Everybody is on hold right now until the appraisal is turned in and they can make a decision about how much money they are willing to loan us.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Russell, thank you for being patient with us throughout the process. We’re always looking for areas where we’d be able to improve on, so your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Original review: March 23, 2020

American Advisors Group seemed to have been the best. They had a lot of promises in the beginning that weren’t necessarily carried out in the offer. They had jumped through a lot of hoops that weren’t necessarily true. I let them know that I was signing on it but it was not secure and I haven't built the closing date. If I don’t want to do it, I can say no and I’ve paid some costs that are not outstanding. This is a very wonderful house in a small town. We will see how it works and if it’s worth getting my appraisal and I will move on from there.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Ross, thank you for being patient with us throughout the process. We’re always looking for areas where we’d be able to improve on, so your feedback is greatly appreciated,

Original review: March 22, 2020

The AAG rep was wonderful, but they were a little pushy. They were doing their sales pitch, which I understand. But when I said that I wasn’t quite ready yet, instead of honoring that, they said, “This is the best time.” They made sense and I went ahead with it. But then medical problems popped up and I decided not to do the loan.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Sheilah, thank you for the constructive feedback. We will look into this to further improve the quality of our service.

American Advisors Group (AAG) Company Information