4.41/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

American Advisors Group (AAG)

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Advisors Group (AAG) is the leading reverse mortgage provider in the United States. Our mission is to help adults 62+ improve their lives and plan for retirement through reverse mortgages.

AAG is a U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development Approved Lender, a member of the National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association, and a Top 3 place to work in Orange County, California.

American Advisors Group Video
American Advisors Group Gallery (1)
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 19, 2017

531 American Advisors Group (AAG) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I am very happy with the outcome of my reverse mortgage. My loan officer, Michael **, was extremely helpful in answering any questions/concerns I had and very prompt in returning phone calls. He continually kept me apprised of the progress of the loan from beginning to end. I would highly recommend him and American Advisors Group.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

We were able to contact AAG easily and got ball rolling that day. We were kept abreast of all aspects of the process. Only problem was not getting a list of needed documents so had to do that part piecemeal which took longer than normal. Still, worked out well and received funds. Began process in early June and had funds at end of August. It was worth the effort and appreciated Ms. ** assistance.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

My advisor was very knowledgeable and if had to find out the answer to a question he was not sure of he would take the time to find it and call me back with the answer. He would always return my calls and was very friendly. I am very satisfied with my experience dealing with AAG.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Customer service was extremely very professional especially Shaunee **, want to really thank her for her help throughout all the process. She was very thorough explaining all the steps and always updating us on the status of our application. We did have an overall excellent experience with AAG in our reverse mortgage loan.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I got what I wanted - no more mortgage payments, but the process was daunting. I started out the first week of June and just finished up the first week of October. There was a definite breakdown in communication several times. I was told no more mortgage payments in August, but when I kept checking my mortgage acct, it wasn't changing to 0. My payment for Sept. was due. When I called my loan officer, he said the underwriters had pulled the loan, but he did not inform me. The signing had to be done over & he told me that I would not be charged for a resign since what happened wasn't my fault.

I was charged for it even though I brought it up to him again and he reassured me that it would be gone on the third signing. The second signing was voided because AAG rolled my property taxes in & I had already paid them. Why didn't the loan officer tell me that was going to happen? I would have told him that I'd paid them. It took so long that "things" expired & I was recharged for them - credit reports - payoff amounts - etc. Like I said. I'm mostly satisfied with the result even though I gave up fighting some of the charges even though I was told they would be taken off.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Advisors Group?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

The entire team was informative, courteous, and knowledgeable in every area of my concerns. During the past year or so, I have had some doubts about Reverse Mortgages. I chose Adjustable, rather than Fixed Sum. That works best for me. I now have a better cash flow.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

We received prompt and professional service from AAG as soon as we contacted them about our interest in doing a reverse mortgage. All contact was personal and informative and we were walked through the process every step of the way. We are happy with our decision to go with this company for our future retirement needs!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

We were very pleased with the services rendered by AAG. Process was lengthy, however, understood due to the amount of guidelines that had to be followed. Felt that they were honest in their answers to questions. Thank you for your services. Think we filed at right time for we understand there will be some changes that may not be beneficial to us.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Thank you, the agent that I worked with was so good, I'd use him again in a minute. He kept me informed throughout the whole process. He called me weekly to keep me updated on my journey. I would, and am recommending AAG to all I know about reverse mortgage with AAG. AAG is a company that I trust with my future.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Mr Anthony ** handled my mortgage with AAG. He was excellent in every way. Very knowledgeable and answered all my questions easily and completely. I feel I have made a good friend and couldn't be happier with the entire transaction.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Other than the failure to fully inform me as to how long it would take to fund my loan once it had been "approved," I have no complaints. That, of course, assumes that the info I was given on my ability to repay the loan which was required to be funded at the closing and the % "increase" on the amounts which I don't borrow is true.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

The overall process of completing the reverse mortgage loan was complicated by the constant lack of information provided about FHA requirements. If one assumes that the applicant has been in their home for several years and that FHA requirements have changed over the years it is likely that there will be compliance problems in the home. If a simple overview of the current requirements was provided to the applicant as part of the pre-application packet then it would be possible to avoid compliance problems that would be found during the appraisal process.

Also, the types of certifications needed from contractors concerning repairs or maintenance programs could be obtained prior to the inspections. This information would have saved much lost time and frustration in the ready to "show" your home in the ready stage. I felt the AAG staff was likewise less effective in bring about a smooth application process because of the repeated lack of readiness from the consumers. This circumstance must be common as they were very understanding and kind in helping me through the entire loan process.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

We were so very happy to have been lucky enough to have Suzanne help us through the whole process. Suzanne was always patient with us and explained things to us often more than once. She responded to our e-mail messages very quickly which surprised us. She made us feel we were her only client. I'm so happy to have an opportunity to share our experience.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Ron was concise and informative concerning all matters and personable in his presentation. He explained in detail the process and along with Erica were prompt and courteous in relaying critical information and documents.

Insufficient response received
    Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Aside from the fact that the process took over 4 months, I was really taken aback by the careless and nonchalant way in which all my highly personal and confidential information was handled. There were numerous instances where I questioned the need for such information, and the general answer was it's an FHA requirement. Very happy that the trauma is over. Hopefully, it will be worth it.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

We could not be more pleased with our experience thus far with AAG. Our loan counselor, Claire, was always, friendly, upbeat, well-informed and excited for us to be doing business with AAG. She answered all of our questions, no matter how trivial and when she did not know the answer, she found out and called us back. AAG impressed us with professional courtesy throughout the process. We would recommend them to everyone considering a reverse mortgage!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I have to say that my husband & I are very happy to have gotten our reverse mortgage through AAG. From the first day I inquired about it we were helped through every step! Our go to person was Denise **. She worked very hard for us, and we are grateful for all her help. We would encourage anyone that qualifies to take advantage of the program.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I would like to thank Brittney for the great job she did for my wife and I. She was super and keep us up to date through the process. I hope you reward her for the job she does as she goes above and beyond. I feel I was treated fairly by your company so far. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Everyone involved in the process from the first day to finalization of the process was exceptionally professional, courteous, informative and enthusiastic. Special thanks to Tim **, Dawn ** and Diane (notary).

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I am very happy about my decision to go with a reverse mtg. And the people who helped me thru it, made me feel confident I made the right decision. Especially, David **, he was terrific. He helped me thru everything, explained everything so that I easily understood it, and even cleared up a phone problem I was having that was preventing communication between AAG and my phone line. In response to a message I left one day, he called me from his cell phone, from his car, on a Saturday morning, not even in the office. He made me feel like a relative that he was making sure got the best service. He is a very nice man. I am very happy and my mind is now much more at ease. Thank you.

No response received
    Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I've been reading all the glowing reviews for AAG about the mortgage BUYING experience. Well, here's a review concerning what happens AFTER. My mother took out a reverse mortgage after my father died. She was buried in medical bills and was trying to pay them off, so she took out a mortgage on their home from a local bank. She got behind on that so took out a reverse mortgage to pay off that second mortgage. (All of this without my knowledge.) She passed away and as her personal representative I am left with this mess. I told AAG to take the house on the Deed in Lieu option and turned the keys over to them.

A few months later I am SERVED with legal papers saying they are Foreclosing because the house was not totally empty. I have no way to empty the house, and I doubt very seriously that AAG has never had to clean out a house. I am fine with them foreclosing; that is part of the terms. What I think is stupid is having to go through all this legal run-around just because there is a little trash in a house. What a waste of lawyer and court costs! They could have had that house sold by now. BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

The reps handling my application were knowledgeable and patient even when I became skittish. Help was even available after the closing. Michael ** was very clear with answers to my questions. I am very comfortable with the results.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Overall the loan process was very good with a couple of minor exceptions. The number of trees lost in the processing of this loan. The document submission process needs to be better controlled and centrally located so the team does not end up misplacing some of the documents. Update the document list so all aspects of modern improvements are part of the list, ie Solar or other alternate energy.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

It was a very smooth and easy process. The gentleman that worked with us was very helpful and always returned our calls and answered all our questions. The only drawback is you don't get all of the money up front.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I can't say enough about the great help Kristen was for me. She is always available and always helpful. She kept me informed of all the necessary paperwork and what to expect. You have a great employee! Thank you Kristen.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

My new Reverse Mortgage! If there could be a way to make it easier to understand and acquire, I can't imagine it! All paperwork was either sent or brought to my home, knowledgeable people arrived to answer questions and/or explain the answers to the questions I should have thought of. And the first thing I knew, my bank account had acquired a lovely total! THANK YOU, AAG! You do it right!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

From the first phone call to the last one I have nothing but praise for the agent and everybody involved in helping us get our loan. My phone calls were answered quickly by Nermeena and never left me questioning anything. We have the money promised and we are pleased.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

The reverse mortgage through AAG has already become a life changer for me at 86 years of age. All my bills are paid off, I have a newer car, and I can finally afford to get the hearing aids I have wanted for years. The process was relatively smooth with just a couple of hiccups along the way but my mortgage consultant Alex was always there with the solution to make things work. This is definitely something senior homeowners should look into for the future. AAG is a great company to deal with on this type matter.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I was very pleased with the service I received from Susan and Tamara. Susan our first agent was very kind and understanding as was Tamara. The only problem is that there was a lot of duplicate forms for my 91 year old mother to signed which to me was a little extreme. Also there seems to be a miscommunication with areas of your company. For example we are still getting papers on insurance for the reverse mortgage which I was told does not pertain to our type of mortgage. I just think for the older customers you could make it a little easier on them understanding all these forms.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

My experience was very positive except for the availability of a notary in my area. I found a notary myself because the notary that AAG contacted was 100 miles away and responded after we had already completed our transactions. Ms. ** answered all my concerns promptly. She was wonderful to deal with.

American Advisors Group (AAG) Company Information