Call toll free
4.30/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Advisors Group (AAG) is the leading reverse mortgage provider in the United States. Our mission is to help adults 62+ improve their lives and plan for retirement through reverse mortgages.

AAG is a U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development Approved Lender, a member of the National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association, and a Top 3 place to work in Orange County, California.

American Advisors Group Video
American Advisors Group Gallery (1)
A-BBB Rating
View More View More

746 American Advisors Group (AAG) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 15, 2019

I was very impressed with Michael ** and Carnetta ** and the lengths they were willing to go to in order for me to qualify for the loan! They made the loan process less odious than it could have been! I would highly recommend not only AAG but also their loan officers!!!

Get expert buying tips about Reverse Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I took a little too long but at the end the person who got the reverse mortgage was not inform that she was going to be charge every month interest to be add to the loan for the life of the loan. I think it should be explain at signing by the person who is doing the closing in case the person did not understand in the beginning of the process.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I had a very excellent experience with American Advisors Group from beginning to end. They explained everything in great detail and followed up with me weekly or I could call at any time I had questions. It was a wonderful experience aand helped me a great deal.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Thanks you, Shirley! We are so happy to hear that you had a great experience!

Original review: April 13, 2019

I had a positive experience getting a reverse mortgage through AAG. The loan specialist and loan processor walked us through the process and the loan was completed within 5 weeks. Everyone I dealt with at AAG was professional and responsive to my inquiries. I would recommend AAG to others who need a reverse mortgage.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Joan, we're so happy to hear that you had such a great experience! This is what we are always striving to see!

Original review: April 13, 2019

I was a commodity futures broker over some 10 years, and I had a basic understanding of reverse mortgages, but my life partner was an artist and needed to be sold on the idea. I'm 82 years old and she is 76. We have owned a few homes and I paid for the house mortgages. She trusted me! We have been together 44 years...now she gets it. The extra money is great. A Beneficiary Deed also ensures the house will be OK after we are gone.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Howard, this is so great to hear! Thank you for sharing!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Advisors Group?

Original review: April 12, 2019

It took almost a year to complete the process. But our AAG adviser was with us all the way. Even when we reached a point of frustration, he would call to console us. He explained every step and made sure we crossed every T and dotted every I. When our reverse mortgage, he called to let us know. We had a very good experience and are very happy with AAG.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Robbie, thank you for your positive review! We strive to provide the best experience for you and we’re happy to see that it was reflected.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I worked with William ** and found him to be VERY knowledgeable, always patient and willing to spend as long as necessary to answer my questions and explain things to me. He also has a wonderful sense of humor which made our conversations even more worthwhile.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Thank you, Denise! We’re very happy to hear this.

Original review: April 12, 2019

My experience with AAG, specifically with Jeremy ** was beyond my expectations. The process was seamless and easy. Not a lot of work on our part, AAG did so much to help us with the process. It was quick and in my opinion they went beyond what was necessary to help us through this process without a lot of paperwork and headaches on our end. I would highly recommend AAG to anyone who may be considering a reverse mortgage process. I put this process off for a long time because I had heard it was hard to get through and it took a lot of time and producing a large amount of paperwork. None of that happened in our case. It truly was a great experience and my husband and I are so appreciative of the professionalism we received from AAG.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Hi Barbara, experiences like this are what drive us to do what we do every day. Thank you for sharing!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I was very pleased with the job done by AAG to complete my Reverse Mortgage. By going through the mortgage process AAG discovered a lien against my home that was filed after purchase closure. AAG assisted me in getting the lien removed and clearing my deed. My representative was always helpful and friendly. The mortgage process was fast and well represented by AAG. I’m very satisfied! I would recommend the Reverse Mortgage to everyone 62 or older.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Hi Kathleen, we're so happy to hear that you had such a great experience! This is what we are always striving to hear!

Original review: April 11, 2019

My representative, George **, was outstanding. He explained the process in detail, answered my many questions, and was extremely helpful during the entire process. He kept me informed every step of the way, and was always responsive to my phone calls. I highly recommend George, and will do so to my family and friends.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Kathryn, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It’s great to see that you had a positive experience!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I have only positive comments to make - my experience starting with Greg ** my initial advisor through Leah who did my closing papers & signature was very pleasant and informative. Would and have recommended your service to friends, thanks to everyone and AAG. Don

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Hi Don, we are so glad that we could help!

Original review: April 11, 2019

My parents obtained a reverse mortgage from AAG in January of this year. Both my parents are in their eighties and are not what you would call experts in the financial markets. I however have a degree in finance and many years of experience in finance. My parents were able to obtain their reverse mortgage with AAG with little if any help from me. AAG representatives were patient, helpful, informative and most importantly to me, they were honest. The process was easy as AAG REPRESENTATIVES assisted every step of the way. The best part though is seeing the relief on my parents face now that their future financial stability is assured. They are truly happier and as their son, I want to thank you personally for that. THANK YOU!!!

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

John, experiences like this are what drive us to do what we do every day. Thank you for sharing!

Original review: April 11, 2019

The limit on money to be allocated is very low compared to the price of the house. Also there is no allocation of additional funds. If needed the price of the house should be considered in allocation of additional funds. You should give a copy of the agreement to customer before asking him to sign almost hundred pages. Very poor treatment of customer overall. I would rate AAG very low from customer's viewpoint.

Original review: April 11, 2019

The loan staff were amazing. Multiple appraisals and taking the lowest is devastating since it was almost $20k less than what I paid for the house that was less than 6 months old. Unclear if it was AAG or the underwriters.

Original review: April 11, 2019

From the start, I felt like I made the right choice by calling AAG. They explained everything clearly and no question was too small to ask. From the beginning, working with AAG was a smooth process and doing what needed to be done. I am so glad I called AAG to handle my reverse mortgage and I would recommend them to anyone.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Mary, this is so great to hear. Thank you!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 11, 2019

I used AAG for my refi since they were the current mortgage holder. The process was laborious and the stream of lost documents and the need to re-sign documents already submitted was very trying on my patience. I found an $8100 "error" in their favor that would have gone unnoticed had I not carefully reviewed the closing costs. As soon as the mortgage funded the communication stopped, leaving me to make a series of phone calls to find out the status. In my opinion there is no co-operation among the various departments and no-one seems to talk to anyone else. In all, a frustrating experience.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Dermot, thank you for being patient with us throughout the process and for sharing your experience. We are constantly trying to enhance the quality of our service. Our team will be reviewing your feedback to further enhance internal processes.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Everybody that I dealt with were very helpful and answered all my questions; I not good with names but there was a women I think her name is Alexandra out in California, she was the best. The gentleman I spoke with in New York was also very good. Thanks for all your help

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Warren, thank you for your positive review! We strive to provide the best experience for you and we’re happy to see that it was reflected.

Original review: April 11, 2019

My experience with AAG was very good. The person I dealt with throughout it all was very knowledgeable and answered every question I had. Even after all was said and done, If I have any questions I can still call and she will answer them. I give AAG a 5 Star for they are always helpful in everything concerning any transaction. I would recommend anyone to use AAG for their reverse mortgage.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

We are so happy to hear that you had such a great experience, Kenneth! This is what we are always striving to hear!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I was very pleased with the prompt service and the continuing support from the person that I was dealing with. He was very responsive to my needs and questions. And, I am very satisfied so far. My only complaint is that since I received my reverse mortgage, I have been bombarded with junk mail and phone calls about Mortgage Insurance and such. I'm not sure where or how they got that information, but it is a pain in the butt.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Hi Robert, we're glad that you're satisfied with our service. Thank's for sharing.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Patience! Our AAG Representative, Mike ** took the time to discuss with us our questions and also the time "in between" discussions to wait for us while we digested information. To date, so far, we are still comfortable with our decisions.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Thank you for sharing, James!

Original review: April 11, 2019

My Agent, Craig ** was wonderful to work with. He kept us in touch with every step it took to conduct the mortgage. He also had his Mgr. Jim ** take care of us when he wasn't available. I felt very comfortable having my loan in their hands. It was a wise decision to go with AAG.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Great to hear! Thank you for sharing your experience, Sylvia.

Original review: April 11, 2019

The staff were friendly and very thorough. Although my case hit a few snags, it went to completion in about the time I expected. It took a little more work on my part than I imagined, but that's on me.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Tommy, thank you for being patient with us throughout the process! We’re glad to hear that things went well for you.

Original review: April 11, 2019

The service and attention my wife and I have received from AAG is absolutely nonpareil. Scott ** has led us by the hand down this complex path. He has treated us with the utmost respect and care. Michael **, too, has been a great person to deal with. We are recommending AAG to all who are willing to listen.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Hi Lee, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We’re happy we could help!

Original review: April 11, 2019

From day one, our prime contact at AAG did an excellent job of keeping this process on track and keeping us informed at all stages. Everything has been most professional and we have been very pleased with the outcome.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

John, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It’s great to see that you had a positive experience!

Original review: April 11, 2019

We had the best Agent EVER! Allen **. - He is cordial, caring and just a solid human being. He has a smile you can hear over the phone with the ease of an old friend. We established such a rapport, that we could easily host he and his wife, if they were ever in our area. Definitely recommend AAG and this Agent.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Michael, we are so happy to hear that you had such a great experience! This is what we are always striving to hear!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I had a unique situation in my Reverse and it took a lot longer than a normal application. AAG was there for me all the way. My originator Howard ** was very helpful and supportive throughout the whole process. I highly recommend AAG.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Steve, thank you for being patient with us throughout the process! We’re glad to hear that things went well for you.

Original review: April 11, 2019

They make the experience smooth and easy. Everything is explained each step. Highly recommend. George ** was very informative and held my hand through the process. He took the fear out of the unknown. Excellent experience.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Janet, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It’s great to see that you had a positive experience!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I have already written an email as to my experience so I would refer you to that. My experience was the best and all due to your rep. Allan **. His excellent communication, ability and style helped me get this done. Without his leading the way I doubt I would have stayed with it to the successful end. My email was sent to his boss and his boss' boss.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Experiences like this are what drive us to do what we do every day. Thank you for sharing!

Original review: March 26, 2019

My AAG was a horror story from the outset. Their requirement for acceptance was to get early social security retirement benefits to prove I could afford property tax and insurance. Meanwhile by the time I did that I didn't need them anymore. I decided to go through with it on the basis it would provide some assurance if emergency funds might be needed in the future. Their closing fees were astronomical and it took me another week to seek out a title company at half the cost they cited, then weed out all the extraneous added fees attempted to fatten the costs. My closing costs immediately generated interest expenses...yuck.

A year later I withdrew 10k to renovate a bathroom. My account now stands at 20k only 2 years later. I'm being charged $100/month in interest. Good grief! I cancelled my cable bill for that amount. I have decided it's cheaper to move and get out from under this mess before continuing at $1200.00/year in interest. I've been getting available balance statements all that time but when I went to withdraw more to buy another house I discovered they froze my funds... Never got a frozen funds notice. Always said Available balance! Ok so I'm paying them $1200.00 a year in interest for an account I paid for but they won't let me use it. They use a clause that requires agreement to changes they may need at any time. They also like to call these changes 'glitches'. Hmmm.

It seems they have decided they can hold funds anytime they want and demand a signature of approval using that clause as the basis, and apparently at any time in the future! I made calls every day for a week and nobody called me back which required I call again the next day to call another person who didn't call back then I had to call another person. 3 calls = one week to get answers and resolution to the frozen account I was depending on for a title closing on a different home purchase which may still close late due to the bungling.

The unprofessional legal department representative named Brandon ** had the nerve to ask me if I was in theater class, admitted he didn't have the file in front of him, then called me lady (in a derogative manner). This doesn't sound like a two way contract to me so I'm out as soon as I can sell my house and pay off their lien on my property. Bye bye AAG. You will get no more high interest payments from me. Add this one up to another life error. It would have cost me much less to use my savings.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I felt everything was laid out so that I could understand each and every step. At times even now I do wonder if I should have done the reverse mortgage and yet I think it has made my life easier. The procedure was streamlined and Brett was so easy to work with.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Hi Jeanette, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We’re happy we could help!

American Advisors Group expert review by Michele Lerner

American Advisors Group has been in business for approximately 10 years. Its mission is to help seniors convert as much home equity into tax free cash as possible.

• Fairly well-known company: AAG has been offering reverse mortgages for over 10 years and has used celebrity spokespeople in its marketing campaigns.

• Clear info on site: AAG’s website includes a frequently asked question section, which contains detailed information about reverse mortgages.

• Offers free informational kit: Rather than applying online, consumers are encouraged to send for free information before making their decision.

• Customer service: There have been consumer complaints alleging that it took months for AAG to close on a reverse mortgage.

• Comparison: Some consumers claim that they got less money once AAG closed on the mortgage than they would have from competing companies.

• Best for: Seniors who want to enjoy their later years and seniors who expect their house’s value to rise.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

American Advisors Group (AAG) Company Information