Call toll free
4.08/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Advisors Group (AAG) is the leading reverse mortgage provider in the United States. Our mission is to help adults 62+ improve their lives and plan for retirement through reverse mortgages.

AAG is a U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development Approved Lender, a member of the National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association, and a Top 3 place to work in Orange County, California.

American Advisors Group Video
American Advisors Group Gallery (1)
A-BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

AAG offers jumbo and conforming reverse mortgages and refinance loans. Their specialists are knowledgeable, and the online loan calculator gives you an idea of your loan options without submitting personal contact information.

PROS

• Free online loan calculator
  • Professional customer service
  • Loans up to $6 million

CONS

• Fees can add up quickly
  • Not available in Massachusetts

Top American Advisors Group (AAG) Reviews

05/14/2019

Every facet of my Reverse Mortgage Loan was handled with respect and professionalism. It was made simple and they made sure each step was understood… They want you to be sure you understand each step.

06/18/2019

... AAG stood by me all the way for getting me approved… They have all kinds of programs out there to help you. I did a thorough check of companies before I applied with AAG. Check them out. You will be happy you did.

About American Advisors Group

AAG reverse mortgage company offers a range of mortgage loan tools for eligible borrowers. You can select from reverse mortgages, refinance loans or jumbo loans; plus, you can even buy or sell your home. As one of the largest reverse mortgage providers in the United States, AAG mortgage specialists educate clients about the importance of using home equity as a retirement tool. Through the AAG reverse mortgage calculator, you can enter your property and homeowner details for a quick, free loan estimate — their loan calculator doesn’t require personal contact information. AAG reverse mortgage calculator estimates don’t include fees.

American Advisors Group solutions

AAG reverse mortgages
AAG provides several reverse mortgage options for different financial situations. An AAG home equity solutions specialist can help you determine which reverse mortgage loan option is best for you.
  •  Lump-sum payout: With a lump-sum payout, you can draw 60% of your funds in the first year and access the maximum amount of cash to pay for large expenses like medical bills or home improvement projects.
  • Growing line of credit: Tap into your home equity for a line of credit you can access over time. The unused principal amount progressively increases.
  • Jumbo loan reverse: AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgage is a proprietary loan that lets you withdraw up to $6 million in equity. It’s possible to eliminate monthly mortgage payments and get the full amount at closing.
  • Term or Tenure: With a term or tenure reverse mortgage through AAG, get fixed monthly payments to supplement your retirement income. Select how long you’d like to get monthly payments with a term reverse mortgage or get monthly payments as long as you live in your house with a tenure reverse mortgage.
  •  Reverse for Purchase: Buy a new property with a reverse for purchase loan without additional monthly mortgage payments as long as you keep up with property taxes, homeowner’s insurance and home maintenance costs.
AAG refinance loans
AAG provides two refinance loan options, cash out or rate and term.
  • Rate and Term: With a rate and term mortgage from AAG, you can trade in your existing mortgage for a new loan with better terms or interest rates. This may decrease the amount you have to pay each month and adjust the duration of the loan.
  • Cash out: Cash-out refinancing turns your equity into tax-free cash. You can use the funds to finance a large purchase or pay off high-interest debt, and it’s sometimes possible to deduct your mortgage interest from your taxes.
AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgage
Those with high-value loans can access up to $6 million in equity funds. Homeowners’ age, the value of their home and interest rate determines AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgage amounts. Similar to traditional reverse mortgages, AAG Advantage jumbo borrowers must complete financial counseling to apply for the loan. AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgages also require a home appraisal, and jumbo borrowers must meet certain loan obligations, including payment of property taxes, homeowner’s insurance and keeping the property in good repair.
AAG Residential Services
American Advisors Group Residential Services (AAGRS) helps older adults buy or sell a home. AAG brokers can help those who want to relocate, downsize or move closer to friends or family.

American Advisors Group FAQ

What is AAG?
AAG (American Advisors Group) is a reverse mortgage lender that provides government-insured home equity conversion loans, jumbo refinancing loans and other mortgage loan options.
What fees does AAG charge?
AAG charges an origination fee, closing costs, servicing fees and mortgage insurance premiums when required by HUD. Fees roll into the balance of the loan, and AAG charges interest on your balance, which grows over time.
What is the AAG Foundation?
The AAG Foundation is a paid volunteer time-off program for full-time AAG employees. Through the program, employees get eight hours per year of paid service to AAG Foundation-approved activities.
Where are AAG loan options available?
AAG is licensed in every state except Massachusetts.

Do we recommend AAG?

Yes, American Advisors Group provides several financial tools that can make retirement planning easier. AAG reverse mortgage reviews indicate professional and knowledgeable customer service specialists. American Advisors Group complaints often refer to a lengthy process and paperwork, which is typical with most reverse mortgage lenders.

793 American Advisors Group (AAG) Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: May 23, 2019

My wife and I, were shopping for information on HUD, Conversion Mortgage. We called AAG, for information about it. They told us, AAG officer will contact us in few days. Within 24 hours, we received a call from loan officer, Joshua **. Moreover, he asked few questions on our decision to shops for conversion mortgage. He explain the best options for our case, also at no time pressure was apply. He start explaining, the do’s and don’t on what to expect. We talked for an one and a half hours. He was very professional and very knowledgeable about the procedures. Mr Joshua worked with us through loan process. My wife and I were very pleased, with the final result. We highly recommend. If your need any information, about HUD, ask for loan officer, Joshua **. Finally thank you, to you and your staff also AAG.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Thank you, Richard! We are so happy to hear that you had such a great experience! This is what we are always striving to hear!

Get expert buying tips about Reverse Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2019

My experience with AAG, specifically with Jeremy ** was beyond my expectations. The process was seamless and easy. Not a lot of work on our part, AAG did so much to help us with the process. It was quick and in my opinion they went beyond what was necessary to help us through this process without a lot of paperwork and headaches on our end. I would highly recommend AAG to anyone who may be considering a reverse mortgage process. I put this process off for a long time because I had heard it was hard to get through and it took a lot of time and producing a large amount of paperwork. None of that happened in our case. It truly was a great experience and my husband and I are so appreciative of the professionalism we received from AAG.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Hi Barbara, experiences like this are what drive us to do what we do every day. Thank you for sharing!

Original review: April 11, 2019

My parents obtained a reverse mortgage from AAG in January of this year. Both my parents are in their eighties and are not what you would call experts in the financial markets. I however have a degree in finance and many years of experience in finance. My parents were able to obtain their reverse mortgage with AAG with little if any help from me. AAG representatives were patient, helpful, informative and most importantly to me, they were honest. The process was easy as AAG REPRESENTATIVES assisted every step of the way. The best part though is seeing the relief on my parents face now that their future financial stability is assured. They are truly happier and as their son, I want to thank you personally for that. THANK YOU!!!

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

John, experiences like this are what drive us to do what we do every day. Thank you for sharing!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Angelina ** & Michael ** are most knowledgable & efficient. I read every article I could find, before applying for a Reverse Mortgage. Then, Angelina kindly answered my many questions & kept in constant contact with me, throughout the process. My only complaint is the appraisal process. Now, some loans require two appraisals. My first appraisal was "fair" but below market value, for my area. The second appraisal was $20k lower even though the comps were higher. However, the second appraiser isn't known for his intelligence, if you know what I mean... It is unfair to send an appraiser that lives in the hills where land is $1,500 an acre to appraise in a county he has absolutely no knowledge of & can't fathom land here is $20k & up per acre. All in all, if you're applying with AAG, you'll really enjoy working with Angelina **, & Michael **.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Thank you for sharing your experience, Mona!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

The entire staff at American Advisors Group made negotiating a reverse mortgage a pleasure. In today's world we're all too accustomed to company's over promising and under delivering. AAG delivers on their commitment to their clients with professional, competent financial services. Everyone at AAG we encountered was knowledgeable, patient and most of all helpful. I've made mortgage application six times prior to my current experience with AAG. These were all time consuming and frustrating. Not so with AAG, they made this a "painless" process. Our reverse mortgage professional, Michael McDonald guided us through the process seamlessly. He kept us up to date on the steps throughout the process. I can't tell you how much that meant to my wife and I. Great company, Professional Staff and A Pleasure to Work With!!! I would highly recommend American Advisors Group to anyone seeking a reverse mortgage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Advisors Group?

Original review: July 15, 2019

It took a very long time to process the loan and many times it looked like I wouldn't get it. But the manager, Chris **, took over the loan. That's when things moved fast and thank God I was approved. Everyone worked very hard to get my loan and I am eternally Grateful!!

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Pat, thank you for being patient with us throughout the process! We’re glad to hear that things went well for you.

Original review: July 1, 2019

Joshua ** was top-notch with his handling of this HECM reverse mortgage. The individual Josh brought in to assist him, Pedro **, was also very knowledgeable and professional. The only complaint I have is regarding the appraisal service that was used. They were slow, unresponsive, and generally unprofessional.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Thank you for leaving a review, Kenneth!

Original review: June 30, 2019

I have been in contact several times about an appraisal rebate offer I was sent in the mail. I was told before closing that it would be mailed, but have been ignored three times. I am very dissatisfied at this point because the letter was mailed to me prior to my closing. I feel like this is mail fraud and will seek legal counsel if I do not receive my refund within the next 30 days.

Original review: June 27, 2019

The closing process was a nightmare. We were told that if I and a witness could be there at closing we could witness mom signing documents with an X as mom has arthritis. We drove 3 hours to be there and did so a few days later we were told we didn't do the signing correctly and AAG wanted us to drive to mom's and do application again. A few days later AAG told us that application would be accepted as is. On closing day we were informed that application had to be done again. So we did so a few days later we were told that some of the documents were not sent to the closing notary agent and need to be signed and witnessed. Whole process was unprofessionally done and extremely disorganized. I would never recommend this process to anyone. A bank mortgage is simpler and much easier.

Original review: June 26, 2019

Zach ** was extremely helpful in guiding me through this process. He explained things in detail and answered all of my questions thoroughly and simply enough for me to understand them. He helped me through the process of obtaining counseling and appraisals. I would highly recommend Zach.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

William, this is so great to hear! Thank you!

American Advisors Group (AAG) Company Information