Call toll free
4.38/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Advisors Group (AAG) is the leading reverse mortgage provider in the United States. Our mission is to help adults 62+ improve their lives and plan for retirement through reverse mortgages.

AAG is a U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development Approved Lender, a member of the National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association, and a Top 3 place to work in Orange County, California.

American Advisors Group Video
American Advisors Group Gallery (1)
View More View More

636 American Advisors Group (AAG) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

AAG was very easy to work with and always answered my questions in a timely manner. From the Loan Officer, Mario ** to the Loan Processor, Tabatha **. They made the process easy to understand. I would highly recommend them to a friend. They really cared about me and what I needed to make this work for me.

Get expert buying tips about Reverse Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

We had a very good experience with AAG and George. He was always available when we had questions and concerns. He would always call to let us know what the next step would be in our process and how things were going. I felt the whole process was done quickly and thoroughly. I felt he made me very comfortable with a new process we were not familiar with.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Very smooth transaction. Everyone involved was friendly and professional. Felt like they went out of their way to help me get the money I needed with the least amount of inconvenience to me. At 86 I appreciate the help.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The people at AAG were very helpful in our decision to apply for our reverse mortgage and were there for us all the way through the process. I recommend AAG for anyone considering a reverse mortgage. Great service.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The folks in California told me funds could be disbursed with either a check or a wire transfer. The folks in Michigan have added a third alternative: an ACH Transfer. Perhaps the folks in California and the folks in Michigan should get together. ☺☺☺☺

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Advisors Group?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

David ** was very knowledgeable and explained the program extensively and showed me that it is the best decision for me. He made it flow through the process smoothly and took less time than anticipated.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I had the pleasure of working with Mike **... He was very professional, informative, and basically a nice all around person... Always there to answer my questions...very personable. I feel he will always be there for my husband and me. Thank you, Mike.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Recently I did a Reverse Mortgage done with AAG. My advisor was excellent and extremely helpful. During the process, all the different departments that aided me were extremely knowledgeable and helpful throughout the process, I can't thank them all enough.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

It was a pleasure to work with David ** and Maria **, they made the process of getting a Reverse Mortgage extremely easier. David was always on time with our weekly telephone appointments and was open to me emailing him with questions, clarification of items we discussed. He didn't force me to make a decision, and explained my options, so that I could understand them. After the approval/signature process was done he mentioned to me that if I had any questions at all I should contact him and if he couldn't answer them he would direct me to the proper department to get my answer.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

My experience going through this process was one of ease; although long. Everyone with whom I worked was pleasant and so very helpful. From Michael **'s and everyone else, I couldn’t be more pleased with the support and guidance I received. I was a complete novice with this process, but the AAG staff made it all so easy and painless. Thank you all very much!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Read AAG reviews and they are excellent so called and couldn't be happier. They handled everything in a very helpful manner and I truly enjoyed working with Mike **. He was on top of it at every step of the way and made many helpful and needed recommendations. Thank you AAG. Excellent professional, friendly and extremely helpful team.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I shopped 3 companies. I got 3 proposals. Then I picked a company in my neighborhood I wanted meetings in person. I then dropped them went back to AAG and they were great. They worked great with me even though I dropped them. I had Nishli **. She was one of the nicest person I ever talked to. Both smart and kind and patient. We will never forget her. Especially when I see Tommy **; thanks Nishli.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Lorainne ** was an excellent representative of AAG. She went out of the way for us. She was well prepared in all aspects of the process and accessible for our questions. She made the process simple and easy for us. Lorraine is an asset to aag and we feel very fortunate to have her as our representative.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

My experience regarding the reverse mortgage I applied for on behalf of my mother, Ana ** was excellent. Thanks to Glenn ** who assisted us in every way possible since my time was very limited given I work full time and at nights and weekends I take care of my mom. He went beyond his call of duty and explained every detail to me in a very professional manner yet understandable. He was also accessible to me if I had any concerns. I would highly recommend to anybody to use AAG for their reverse mortgage needs.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Thank you for your positive review! We strive to provide the best experience for you and we’re happy to see that it was reflected.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I will be very fair when I tell you AAG cost us thousands of dollars! David ** and an agent, I cannot remember her name, were late in getting the paperwork to us and the law changed before it was straightened out. A lawyer was suppose to be at our house the night before the law changed and never showed up because they did not get the paperwork. Thanks to Rene ** it was eventually resolved but not until it had cost us a bunch of money. We were also told that we might get some monetary consideration at the end for the loss but we didn't. Again, thank you Rene **.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

AWESOME!! From start to finish, everything was first rate. The entire experience went very smoothly. I would and have recommended AAG to anyone I know or meet, who is in the market for a reverse mortgage. I would like to thank AAG & everyone involved.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

My agent John ** did an excellent job of explaining the details of the process. The process itself was relatively simple although there is a massive amount of paperwork. In my opinion, the only negative is the total amount of fees that are charged.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

The entire process went very smoothly. I appreciate Dawn's patience and persistence in helping me get all the necessary documents. Steve and Dawn were very good at answering my questions and moving the process along.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Mr. ** you were very professional and always available to assist me with my reverse mortgage with courtesy and kindness. If I needed any explanation with my loan, you were patient and made sure I fully understood your reply. It was a pleasure to work with you and a comfort knowing you would be there to assist me in this endeavor. I would highly recommend AAG and you, Mr. **, to anyone interested in obtaining a reverse mortgage. I appreciated the assurance you gave me throughout the whole time working with me and lifting the heavy burden I was carrying at the time I contacted you for assistance. Thank you very much for all your help and advice you gave me step by step. You were very informative at all levels of my loan.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Reverse Mortgage - We were told by two different people that visited our home that we would receive $42,000. We got $2000.00 and were told that is all. I was informed that we were told that you would only be paying off the Mortgage. We were not informed of this until we got the $2000.00. Our home was estimated to be $104,000.00. What happened to the other $60,000.00 after the $42,000 was paid to Chase. I will never ever believe anything you tell me ever again. I am extremely dissatisfied with your company and will not recommend anybody else to do this.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My experience with AAG staff very helpful in every way possible. I was most comfortable working with Roxanne **. She kept me up to date on my progress weekly, could not thank her enough for all her work.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I was treated with the utmost respect. All my questions were answered and re-answered even when I would forget that I had asked before. Candace ** was wonderful to me and I was grateful for her honesty and help during this process, which really went rather quickly without too many stalls. Pedro ** was also excellent in his attitude to me and treated me very fairly. Thank you for helping me have control over my home equity.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Things went smoothly, I enjoyed working with Mike ** and Katherine **. I received my first payment faster than I was expecting. Everything was quick and very professional. Would give AAG an A rating.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My wife and I are within a year of retirement. Both of us are self employed. ALL of our bills are either paid off or up to date. Credit scores over 700, my company Dunn & Bradstreet rating is over 80. AAG just had my house appraised at $460K and I owe $165K (mortgage & equity loans) as part of a reverse mortgage application by us. I am wishing to borrow slightly larger than what is owed; still way less than 50% of the appraisal value. What this means to us is that I'll will outlay less (appx 2/3 rds) on a month basis than we presently are (and next year on social security).

This process is extremely unfair to those individuals that are self employed. Let alone a household where both spouses are self employed. We were asked to supply 2 years of private tax statements. We were then asked to supply 2 years worth of corporate tax returns for both our companies. Between the actual official filling out the application, meeting and the internet/phone contacts with AAG representatives; we have been asked to supply duplicate number of times the same information. We have been asked to supply letters from our accountants that we are the sole owners of our business even though this is declared on the way tax returns are filed. I had to supply all of the information on any savings or retirement accounts that I had. I have been asked for this year's profit and loss statements for this year to date.

How many people that work for someone else and applied for a reverse mortgage been asked for all of these papers? Are you telling me that if someone worked for a large corporation like Microsoft and went in to apply that AAG would go to that person's company and ask for corporate tax documents? Don't think so. The federal government has accept the paperwork submitted, both private and corporate, as correct. But AAG doesn't appear to trust it. I was told that AAG cannot use data like FICO scores because it's based on the past. They cannot use the data from the future, as we are retired and on social security in ten months; so that all of our present financial income will change. Yet they want you to supply the past 2 years of tax returns (the past) -- that AAG doesn't seem to trust the information anyway?

No matter how you look at it; we self employed people who have survived through the years of good and bad. Have contributed to the growth of jobs. And have used the legal methods; outside CPA, of accounting. Have been discriminated against. Ask any immigrant that has come to America why - and a universal answer is - the land of opportunity. That is what small business is... Now I'm/we are in a position to finally reap some of the rewards from many years of hard work and retire comfortable and on the closing steps out the door = I have to promise my next of kin as collateral -- even when after years in business and we/all have reputable reputations both morally and financially. Slap in the face - once again. Thank You AAG.

Oh Yes - still trying to get the deal done -- about 5 months later -- on a no brainer -- Lower my monthly outlay by 2/3 with reasonable reimbursement from social security (both) and any retirement accounts. HMMM paying less and making more when we retire than when we were working... House paying mortgage from equity, which we presently pay for from directly from earnings. Borrowing less than 50% of the equity of the house - no brainer. Thanks AAG.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I must admit, It wasn't easy working with me and I apologize sincerely on that issue. Lara was patient with me in all my frustration trying to comply with the required requested information. The biggest problem for me was trying to comply with what was needed at the same time trying to recover from major surgery done May 30th. But Lara stuck with me like a true professional that she is. We eventually reached the end of the process and was very happy to see the results of her gallant efforts for me and my wife to succeed in securing this reverse mortgage. I realize many people on your staff worked together to make this happen. My wife and I want to thank all of you from the bottom of our hearts for this professional journey for a better life. God Bless you all.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Our experience and time spent with AAG was good. Candice was the one who made this process so quick and easy... Candice ** you were always so pleasant and helpful with every phone call. Thank you to you and also your team.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Our experience with AAG and securing a reverse mortgage was a long and drawn out procedure, mostly due to our needing to upgrade and/or repair various things around the home. I have to commend Vincent for his total support in helping us to achieve this. He never quit on us and believed that we could get it all completed. He treated us with respect and we totally appreciated that. The processing people at times left a little to be desired. It wasn't until the loan was assigned to the last processor (and I apologize that I do not remember her name) that things finally came together. She took the bull by the horns (so to speak) and went above and beyond to get this wrapped up and done. Because of Vincent's help and attitude I would recommend AAG to anybody interested in getting a reverse mortgage.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I have had numerous problems along the way getting AAG to resolve this claim including receiving checks that had to go back to AAG because the payee would not accept the check. Primarily I receive different instructions with each conversation I have with them. We are at the final 25% of funding for the repairs. Prior to todays conversation, I was told that once 75% of the work is completed, call in to arrange for an inspection and once verified, the remaining funds would be released to finish the repairs.

In today's conversation I was told that that is not correct. They want me to pay for the remaining repairs & will reimburse me after I pay thousands of dollars out of pocket, including a contractor waiting to get paid. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that yes I would need to pay first. Instead of working together to make the repairs a smooth process, everything has been made more difficult. I am very dissatisfied with the service provided and I would not recommend AAG.

Original review: July 10, 2018

A few minor required delays re processing and finalizing the loan but: Absolutely great communication and customer service with my loan officer Mario **. He ALWAYS kept me informed and returned my calls promptly. All of my questions were answered with a thoughtful and courteous attitude. Overall a very positive experience.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Everyone at AAG were super nice and cordial to me. They helped get my reverse mortgage done quick and walked me through everything from what I needed to know and what I needed to do to accomplish getting the type of loan that was just right for me.

American Advisors Group expert review by Michele Lerner

American Advisors Group has been in business for approximately 10 years. Its mission is to help seniors convert as much home equity into tax free cash as possible.

• Fairly well-known company: AAG has been offering reverse mortgages for over 10 years and has used celebrity spokespeople in its marketing campaigns.

• Clear info on site: AAG’s website includes a frequently asked question section, which contains detailed information about reverse mortgages.

• Offers free informational kit: Rather than applying online, consumers are encouraged to send for free information before making their decision.

• Customer service: There have been consumer complaints alleging that it took months for AAG to close on a reverse mortgage.

• Comparison: Some consumers claim that they got less money once AAG closed on the mortgage than they would have from competing companies.

• Best for: Seniors who want to enjoy their later years and seniors who expect their house’s value to rise.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

American Advisors Group (AAG) Company Information