Call toll free
4.13/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Advisors Group (AAG) is the leading reverse mortgage provider in the United States. Our mission is to help adults 62+ improve their lives and plan for retirement through reverse mortgages.

AAG is a U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development Approved Lender, a member of the National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association, and a Top 3 place to work in Orange County, California.

American Advisors Group Video
American Advisors Group Gallery (1)
A-BBB Rating
View More View More

788 American Advisors Group (AAG) Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: May 23, 2019

My wife and I, were shopping for information on HUD, Conversion Mortgage. We called AAG, for information about it. They told us, AAG officer will contact us in few days. Within 24 hours, we received a call from loan officer, Joshua **. Moreover, he asked few questions on our decision to shops for conversion mortgage. He explain the best options for our case, also at no time pressure was apply. He start explaining, the do’s and don’t on what to expect. We talked for an one and a half hours. He was very professional and very knowledgeable about the procedures. Mr Joshua worked with us through loan process. My wife and I were very pleased, with the final result. We highly recommend. If your need any information, about HUD, ask for loan officer, Joshua **. Finally thank you, to you and your staff also AAG.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Thank you, Richard! We are so happy to hear that you had such a great experience! This is what we are always striving to hear!

Get expert buying tips about Reverse Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2019

My experience with AAG, specifically with Jeremy ** was beyond my expectations. The process was seamless and easy. Not a lot of work on our part, AAG did so much to help us with the process. It was quick and in my opinion they went beyond what was necessary to help us through this process without a lot of paperwork and headaches on our end. I would highly recommend AAG to anyone who may be considering a reverse mortgage process. I put this process off for a long time because I had heard it was hard to get through and it took a lot of time and producing a large amount of paperwork. None of that happened in our case. It truly was a great experience and my husband and I are so appreciative of the professionalism we received from AAG.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Hi Barbara, experiences like this are what drive us to do what we do every day. Thank you for sharing!

Original review: April 11, 2019

My parents obtained a reverse mortgage from AAG in January of this year. Both my parents are in their eighties and are not what you would call experts in the financial markets. I however have a degree in finance and many years of experience in finance. My parents were able to obtain their reverse mortgage with AAG with little if any help from me. AAG representatives were patient, helpful, informative and most importantly to me, they were honest. The process was easy as AAG REPRESENTATIVES assisted every step of the way. The best part though is seeing the relief on my parents face now that their future financial stability is assured. They are truly happier and as their son, I want to thank you personally for that. THANK YOU!!!

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

John, experiences like this are what drive us to do what we do every day. Thank you for sharing!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Angelina ** & Michael ** are most knowledgable & efficient. I read every article I could find, before applying for a Reverse Mortgage. Then, Angelina kindly answered my many questions & kept in constant contact with me, throughout the process. My only complaint is the appraisal process. Now, some loans require two appraisals. My first appraisal was "fair" but below market value, for my area. The second appraisal was $20k lower even though the comps were higher. However, the second appraiser isn't known for his intelligence, if you know what I mean... It is unfair to send an appraiser that lives in the hills where land is $1,500 an acre to appraise in a county he has absolutely no knowledge of & can't fathom land here is $20k & up per acre. All in all, if you're applying with AAG, you'll really enjoy working with Angelina **, & Michael **.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Thank you for sharing your experience, Mona!

Original review: July 14, 2018

Our experience with AAG and securing a reverse mortgage was a long and drawn out procedure, mostly due to our needing to upgrade and/or repair various things around the home. I have to commend Vincent for his total support in helping us to achieve this. He never quit on us and believed that we could get it all completed. He treated us with respect and we totally appreciated that. The processing people at times left a little to be desired. It wasn't until the loan was assigned to the last processor (and I apologize that I do not remember her name) that things finally came together. She took the bull by the horns (so to speak) and went above and beyond to get this wrapped up and done. Because of Vincent's help and attitude I would recommend AAG to anybody interested in getting a reverse mortgage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Advisors Group?

Original review: June 24, 2019

We have just started with this company, approximately one (1) month. We need to have more experience with the business to form our own personal review. What part of more-time do you not understand? We previously requested additional time before providing a detailed review. I certify that this review is based on my own experience and is my genuine opinion of AAG, and that I have no personal or business relationship with this organization.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I enjoyed the experience with AAG. The agent was especially helpful in his knowledge of the subject matter. He was able to outline the process involved and stick to it during the process. I have been involved in many mortgages and this one was the easiest of them all. Thank you for your assistance.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Douglas, thank you! Glad to hear that you had a positive experience.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Considering all the red-tape mandated by the government; the process was fairly seamless. Who is responsible (financially) for a second appraisal should be made clearer. The fact that the money comes from proceeds doesn't change the source.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Thomas, thank you for leaving this review. We’re always looking for areas where we’d be able to improve on, so your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Original review: June 20, 2019

I was required to pay a stranger 130.00 USD for her so-called counsel... I spoke with her once and she had no relevant info. I never heard from her again... not a single phone call. I can only assume that this is some form of made-up job for special people to have income and no real meaningful application. This is bogus and I want my money back.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I reviewed two offers on this product from All Reverse and AAG. After discussion, AAG made verbal and written commitments on the following: NO MONTHLY SERVICE FEE. No requirement to draw 50% at closing. Only need to draw the amount needed to pay off original mortgage. Remainder available as a Line of Credit. Free appraisal as a promotion. Close promised in 6 weeks.

Based on these promises, I cancelled my application with All Reverse and proceeded with AAG. At the final closing I was informed that: Oops, the salesperson did not understand the 'new' Line of Credit product. There is a mandatory monthly service fee, you are required to draw 50% to get the full principal amount on the loan and then they sent out Estimates that included the appraisal fee and many other errors. In the end it was a large combination of many errors on the part of AAG that caused the closing to extend out at least 8 weeks. They kept having to re-send the documents for notary signing due to errors. This caused the 'right to rescind' to keep starting up again for another 3 days. It was a very stressful mess. Never again. I did not get the product that was promised to me during the application period.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I was misled in most of the process. I have many ill feelings about my experience. Was a former High School and college instructor and know when someone has deliberately misled me. This is how I really feel and would be happy to go into it further if asked. Sorry I had to write this!

Original review: June 19, 2019

The total experience was a little bit beyond my expectation. It was a long process but my agent helped a lot with answers and timely suggestions. I am very pleased with all the aspects of this process. Learned a lot and would willingly pass my knowledge and experience to others.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Sinisa, thank you for being patient with us throughout the process! We’re glad to hear that things went well for you.

Original review: June 19, 2019

For the most part AAG was very helpful but the entire process took way too long putting me further behind. They were not keeping me informed on what was needed to proceed. The loan was exactly as they explained to me and I am satisfied with the results.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I rate your service good however, I was a little disappointed with the length of time it took to close my application. I am pleased with my agreement and it was a pleasure to deal with Mr. **, he is a valued employee.

Geneva

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Geneva, thank you for being patient with us throughout the process. We’re always looking for areas where we’d be able to improve on, so your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Original review: June 19, 2019

During the initial contact support was ok, but as we got closer to closing our agent was incommunicado. We had to leave messages or track down his supervisor to get needed information. Before we can comment further please give us time to see how we are treated as we deal with AAG in the future.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Dan, thank you for being patient with us throughout the process and leaving this review. We’re always looking to improve so we greatly appreciate it.

Original review: June 19, 2019

During the entire process Quintrell was always available, always pleasant, knowledgeable, and anticipated many of my questions. She was clear, patient and kind. Quintrell made the difference for us to consider the process and are very pleased that we did complete with Quintrell's help.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Hi Jane, we are so happy to hear that you had such a great experience! This is what we are always striving to hear!

Original review: June 18, 2019

First the good news. Even though our AAG Sales Consultant resigned from the company in the middle of the process, two management people took over our account and the transaction went smoothly. Now the Bad News: AAG sent us an Appraiser who was incompetent. His measurement of our home was 120 square feet smaller than our County Appraiser, and 185 square feet smaller than the builder's plans as built. We have an original copy of the plans as drawn and built. When we protested the measurement, AAG personnel discounted the County measurement and refused to accept a copy of the plan. They behaved in an arrogant manner and believed the appraiser with only two years experience who spent less than 20 minutes at our home. His inaccurate appraisal reduced our available loan amount which is considerably less than if the actual measurements of our home had been used.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Several months ago I called seven recommended companies for an online quote for a Reverse Mortgage. We finally picked AAG of Irvine, California because the agent Kyle ** was the agent we felt most comfortable with. Not only did he give us a great proposal... he also was very timely with communication and answered all of our questions.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Douglas, experiences like this are what we strive for. Thank you!

Original review: June 18, 2019

I found the whole process easy and quick. Harvey ** guided me through the whole thing. I can pay for the things that need to be done on my house now and enjoy my home. I paid credit cards off, which wasn't much, but all of a home equity loan that was high. That saves me hundreds every month. I can actually save now. Lots of pressure is off me now. Thanks.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Dora, thanks for sharing your experience!

Original review: June 17, 2019

AAG is terrible company. Don't apply for reverse mortgage. You will lose your house in time. Terrible insurance fees. And interest rates and then when you refinance they tell you pay more with short falls only to keep all your money you sent them. I sent them 900 bucks for recording fees. That were only around $245.00 and AAG wants to keep the whole amount on me. I am looking at my options how to sue them and expose them to media. Also taking them to court to recover my difference. AAG employees. Told me they not refunding me what is mine. Once AAG gets your money you not getting it back. You will be mad as hell as I am. STAY AWAY FROM AAG. Unless you want to lose your house.

Original review: May 22, 2019

My experience with AAG was very positive. Marilyn ** was very helpful and guided me quite well with the process. Her help was invaluable. I really feel I made the right choice for my situation. Knowing I can get the money I need for repairs of my home etc. is relieving me of much worry. Thank you AAG.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Great to hear! Thank you for sharing your experience, Lillian!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 22, 2019

If I could have given AAG zero stars I would have!!!! We started the RM process for our mom (late stages of Alzheimer) back in September 2018. At the beginning everything seemed to be going smoothly, and our AAG advisors, David ** seemed to be competent. Then a series of mishaps and problems started to occur!!!! First, we completed the application and somehow someone forgot to arrange the home appraisal. A month went by and I called ** to remind him at we needed the appraisal. We had the appraisal and qualified our mom for the RM.

Then, there was a series of requests for various documents and it seemed that every day ** requested more documents to the point where is became very annoying. One document requested was our mom's ORIGINAL living trust. We were reluctant to provide it but we did. ** promised that all documents would be returned to us upon closing of the RM. This was followed by 3 separate notary signings, each time there was some mistake!!!! The RM finally closed in April 2019. Now our problem is that we can not get our mom's documents returned to us!!! Our emails and calls to ** and WILLIS (boss) mostly go unanswered with limited responses/no explanation on why our mom's documents have not been returned to us. AAG is an absolute joke! Never again!

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

David, we are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience and would like to get this issue resolved. We will have the appropriate team member reach out to you within 24 hours.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Dealing with Hope ** was very good experience. She represented your company professionally with interest in me and my situation. I would recommend her, and AAG, to anyone considering a reverse mortgage. She answered all my questions and concerns and was easy to reach when I needed her.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Thanks for your feedback, Leona! We are so happy to hear that you had a great experience!

Original review: May 21, 2019

This company representative told me I would get close to $50,000 as a first installment. During the process of approving the loan I had to have so many inspections, which I didn't have the money for, they told me it would be held out of my first payment. Between those cost and 10 years of future insurance and taxes I only received $2,000. That was 2 years ago and I still don't qualify for another installment for several years. This company in my opinion is the biggest rip-off.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Maureen ** is very dedicated, warm and friendly. Always there when I called, picked up on first or second ring. We had some great chats. Michael ** in California did a great job getting me paperwork to sign and return. David, the agent that came twice for signatures, also is a great guy. As massive as the process was, it went very smoothly, thanks to Maureen.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Thanks for your feedback, Craig! We are so happy to hear that you had a great experience!

Original review: May 16, 2019

So I called the Reverse Mortgage Servicing Dept. at 866-654-0020. Went thru many directions, never got anywhere. Called 3 times and on the 3rd time, last # to press, got a person. Asked the questions I needed answered and was told I had reached the incorrect dept! They offered to transfer me to the right dept. and told me not to press any #s so I didn't. However the transfer put me right back to the beginning and finally my call was dropped. So, guess I will have to bother my very good loan processor with my questions. Anthony was wonderful by the way.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I had a very pleasant experience with AAG. Everyone I dealt with very courteous and informative. My process went very smoothly and didn't take as long as I thought it would. Now I can relax and enjoy my retirement with no worries about being a burden on my children. Thank you AAG.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Carol, we're happy to hear that we could make your retirement that much more enjoyable!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 16, 2019

I own 2 pieces of property, side by side. I gave the account number from my tax statement to several people. The Lien was placed on my House, which is on LOT#2, but the lien on the land was put on LOT#1... I have since notified several people, including the company that prepared the land lien and as of this date, nothing has been corrected. THIS IS A PROBLEM: AAG has a lien on a house that sits on property it has no right to. I need help, PLEASE!!!

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Hi Martha, AAG is always available to help better your outcome. We have verified that the appropriate team members are diligently working with the title company to resolve this concern. As of 6/18/2019, the required document updates were completed by the title company and the final steps are being taken now. We will request that someone reach out to you with a current update within 24 hours.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Have to say it was at the top of my list of total satisfaction. I am 73 and been through my share of stuff and talking with Yolanda ** was exceptional. When I would get a little tense while going through the process she would say "Calm down. It will be fine". She guided me through every step and trust me I am sometimes hard to deal with. She would always call me and let me know what was going on and why. Exceptional service. Thanks much Yolanda and I hope that they treat you well at AAG. Again thanks much. Barry

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Experiences like this are what drives us to do what we do every day. Thank you for sharing, Barry!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 15, 2019

We started our loan process the first of December 2018 and received our proceeds on May 10, 2019. The initial application moved pretty fast, but then for a couple of months I felt like we had fallen off the earth. Perhaps because of the holidays, it was hard/too impossible to reach anyone to get answers to questions. Got a lot of voicemail recordings and no return calls. Finally established e-mail contact with Tamara ** and she was very nice and helpful, promptly responding to e-mails.

Forget the phone calls, and try e-mail communication would be my advice. We wound up having to have two appraisals which I understand is common now and of course they used the lower one. You can only expect to receive about 1/3 to 1/2 of your home's value from the loan. We had calls from an appraiser about the second appraisal before anyone from AAG had told us it was to be done. Then after telling AAG we would take care of household repairs to meet FHA guidelines (which we did not realize in the beginning would have to be done), they sent a repairman from another town to our house unannounced and had to send him away. This is a good way to get money out of your house without adding payments, but be prepared to struggle through the process and spend about $1,000 or more.

My feeling is that it would be wonderful to have one agent guide the borrower from beginning to end and use the telephone more to promptly keep them informed of what is going on. Not everyone is a computer user and I don't know how they would ever navigate the process. The media ads make it sound a LOT easier and more profitable than it is. All said, we are glad we got the mortgage through AAG and especially that the process is finished.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Judy, thank you for being patient with us throughout the process. We’re always looking for areas where we’d be able to improve on, so your feedback is greatly appreciated!

American Advisors Group expert review by Michele Lerner

American Advisors Group has been in business for approximately 10 years. Its mission is to help seniors convert as much home equity into tax free cash as possible.

• Fairly well-known company: AAG has been offering reverse mortgages for over 10 years and has used celebrity spokespeople in its marketing campaigns.

• Clear info on site: AAG’s website includes a frequently asked question section, which contains detailed information about reverse mortgages.

• Offers free informational kit: Rather than applying online, consumers are encouraged to send for free information before making their decision.

• Customer service: There have been consumer complaints alleging that it took months for AAG to close on a reverse mortgage.

• Comparison: Some consumers claim that they got less money once AAG closed on the mortgage than they would have from competing companies.

• Best for: Seniors who want to enjoy their later years and seniors who expect their house’s value to rise.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

American Advisors Group (AAG) Company Information