Call toll free
4.13/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Advisors Group (AAG) is the leading reverse mortgage provider in the United States. Our mission is to help adults 62+ improve their lives and plan for retirement through reverse mortgages.

AAG is a U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development Approved Lender, a member of the National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association, and a Top 3 place to work in Orange County, California.

American Advisors Group Video
American Advisors Group Gallery (1)
A-BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

AAG offers jumbo and conforming reverse mortgages and refinance loans. Their specialists are knowledgeable, and the online loan calculator gives you an idea of your loan options without submitting personal contact information.

PROS

• Free online loan calculator
  • Professional customer service
  • Loans up to $6 million

CONS

• Fees can add up quickly
  • Not available in Massachusetts

Top American Advisors Group (AAG) Reviews

05/14/2019

Every facet of my Reverse Mortgage Loan was handled with respect and professionalism. It was made simple and they made sure each step was understood… They want you to be sure you understand each step.

06/18/2019

... AAG stood by me all the way for getting me approved… They have all kinds of programs out there to help you. I did a thorough check of companies before I applied with AAG. Check them out. You will be happy you did.

About American Advisors Group

AAG reverse mortgage company offers a range of mortgage loan tools for eligible borrowers. You can select from reverse mortgages, refinance loans or jumbo loans; plus, you can even buy or sell your home. As one of the largest reverse mortgage providers in the United States, AAG mortgage specialists educate clients about the importance of using home equity as a retirement tool. Through the AAG reverse mortgage calculator, you can enter your property and homeowner details for a quick, free loan estimate — their loan calculator doesn’t require personal contact information. AAG reverse mortgage calculator estimates don’t include fees.

American Advisors Group solutions

AAG reverse mortgages
AAG provides several reverse mortgage options for different financial situations. An AAG home equity solutions specialist can help you determine which reverse mortgage loan option is best for you.
  •  Lump-sum payout: With a lump-sum payout, you can draw 60% of your funds in the first year and access the maximum amount of cash to pay for large expenses like medical bills or home improvement projects.
  • Growing line of credit: Tap into your home equity for a line of credit you can access over time. The unused principal amount progressively increases.
  • Jumbo loan reverse: AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgage is a proprietary loan that lets you withdraw up to $6 million in equity. It’s possible to eliminate monthly mortgage payments and get the full amount at closing.
  • Term or Tenure: With a term or tenure reverse mortgage through AAG, get fixed monthly payments to supplement your retirement income. Select how long you’d like to get monthly payments with a term reverse mortgage or get monthly payments as long as you live in your house with a tenure reverse mortgage.
  •  Reverse for Purchase: Buy a new property with a reverse for purchase loan without additional monthly mortgage payments as long as you keep up with property taxes, homeowner’s insurance and home maintenance costs.
AAG refinance loans
AAG provides two refinance loan options, cash out or rate and term.
  • Rate and Term: With a rate and term mortgage from AAG, you can trade in your existing mortgage for a new loan with better terms or interest rates. This may decrease the amount you have to pay each month and adjust the duration of the loan.
  • Cash out: Cash-out refinancing turns your equity into tax-free cash. You can use the funds to finance a large purchase or pay off high-interest debt, and it’s sometimes possible to deduct your mortgage interest from your taxes.
AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgage
Those with high-value loans can access up to $6 million in equity funds. Homeowners’ age, the value of their home and interest rate determines AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgage amounts. Similar to traditional reverse mortgages, AAG Advantage jumbo borrowers must complete financial counseling to apply for the loan. AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgages also require a home appraisal, and jumbo borrowers must meet certain loan obligations, including payment of property taxes, homeowner’s insurance and keeping the property in good repair.
AAG Residential Services
American Advisors Group Residential Services (AAGRS) helps older adults buy or sell a home. AAG brokers can help those who want to relocate, downsize or move closer to friends or family.

American Advisors Group FAQ

What is AAG?
AAG (American Advisors Group) is a reverse mortgage lender that provides government-insured home equity conversion loans, jumbo refinancing loans and other mortgage loan options.
What fees does AAG charge?
AAG charges an origination fee, closing costs, servicing fees and mortgage insurance premiums when required by HUD. Fees roll into the balance of the loan, and AAG charges interest on your balance, which grows over time.
What is the AAG Foundation?
The AAG Foundation is a paid volunteer time-off program for full-time AAG employees. Through the program, employees get eight hours per year of paid service to AAG Foundation-approved activities.
Where are AAG loan options available?
AAG is licensed in every state except Massachusetts.

Do we recommend AAG?

Yes, American Advisors Group provides several financial tools that can make retirement planning easier. AAG reverse mortgage reviews indicate professional and knowledgeable customer service specialists. American Advisors Group complaints often refer to a lengthy process and paperwork, which is typical with most reverse mortgage lenders.

American Advisors Group (AAG) Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

The reason I came here was for the horrors my in-laws are going through with their reverse mortgage company. AAG has been great to work with. I became aware that we could purchase a house with a reverse mortgage, about four and a half years ago when contemplating retirement. We had some money in 401Ks that would never have provided enough income to cover a mortgage payment, but, if withdrawn properly, and even paying taxes on it, would provide us enough to buy a house that would suit our needs forever. We w/d just what we needed to make the purchase in October, w/d what we needed to pay estimated taxes in January. That way we didn’t have to pay max taxes on what we had to w/d for taxes.

No issues at all with AAG. I wish my in-laws could say the same for Champion. Read their reviews on This site to see. All I can say is AAG better never. Insider selling our loan to Champion. If they do, well let’s just say if I have to deal with Champion, and my wife precedes me, living in prison would be better than dealing with that company.

Get expert buying tips about Reverse Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

My wife is retiring within a year, but she got laid off for several years, and we lived on my 401k along with a bunch of stuff. I was already retired and couldn't get a job at my age, and nobody would hire me. So, we kinda burnt up all our savings trying to live. Then we still have a house payment, but if we could get rid of that and a couple other bills, she could retire. We could still live off of my pension and our social security, and not be too strapped for money. And a reverse mortgage would take care of our house payment for the next 10 years.

We’ve been dealing with Tom of AAG who is very nice and patient. He has tried to keep us from spending any unnecessary money, like we gotta take some financial course, which we’ve been having trouble getting set up. We need to get some other stuff out of the way before we take that course. I didn't know doing a reverse mortgage would be this difficult. I thought people would jump to get your house for half price. They're putting all these requirements on us, and we’re already financially-strapped. If we had perfect credit, we wouldn’t need a reverse mortgage. It’s aggravating in that sense.

Also, my wife has to talk to Tom to explain a couple of things about our finances, which we didn't really like. They wanted to know why we hadn't paid our property tax. It has been late a couple of times, but never past due. The only explanation is we didn't have that much money all at once, so we have to save it up a couple of months and pay it like that. It’s kinda rough if you're living on a limited income. Nevertheless, we’re still in the middle of everything and we're happy with AAG right now.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I’m basically up against the wall right now. The house needs repairs, and the mortgage company that my father left me has been pressuring me to sell the house and give it to them. But I’m not giving up a quarter million dollar house for $20,000, especially this is the house I grew up in. Looking into reverse mortgage, I compared AAG against other organizations and George, my point of contact, gave me a number that I was happy with. My wife and I went over their estimate and it looked like the numbers were right.

George has been exemplar in what I ask him to pull off, and I give him what he needs almost immediately. I asked him what’s the best way to get this expedited and he said that since I have given everything they requested and filled out the application, it’s already on its way. The appraisal fees were also paid so, hopefully, we’re gonna have an appraisal made on October 1st. We also had the notary over here just the other day, and she was surprised that we had all our documentation ready for her.

I used to be a mortgage processor myself back in the day, and my wife worked 14 years at a title insurance company. And everything that we’re seeing with AAG is what should be done. I’ve seen companies drag their feet and they take their time so long. But ours is running as well as we can we expect. Also, George and I both agreed, how many times we’ve seen the final settlement go sideways, and that’s what we’re trying to avoid. Him and I go back and forth almost everyday, either by emails or by phone. I notice there’s a three-hour delay because he’s out in California and we’re here in the East Coast. But I deal with all kinds of hours, so that’s not a problem. He has been very attentive and he's just been good. He said we could go as fast or as slow, and I told him we're going full throttle.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

My house really needs repairing bad so I wanted to apply for a reverse mortgage. I saw American Advisors Group's commercial, I got some information and read it. I felt like they were the one, that they wouldn’t lie to me and they would work with me so I decided to apply through them. I love working with their loan officer. She was very warm and friendly. As far as the process, I know I’ve told her to keep my file open because I was in the middle of getting a divorce. And she said, “I’ll wait. I’ll check with you about every three to four weeks,” which she did. Next Friday, my divorce will be final and I have a conference call with the people in charge. The loan officer told me to tell the people in charge of my divorce to fax the document over, whatever it is she needs, so she can get it into the computer system that afternoon and we can get started. I told her, “That’s fine. I’m going to Tennessee for a week and then I’ll be back.”

The loan officer said, “We can really get the ball rolling then.” She worked with me. She would check on any questions I had and kept me well-informed of everything that was going on and what would be happening. When I come back from Tennessee, I’d have to get an appraiser out there to see how much this house would be appraised for, and then she can tell me what percentage I would get. And I pray I get enough, at least or close to 70,000, because I gotta have new windows, two central units, insulation, all the flooring in my house, and my kitchen has gotta be torn down. She was super, super and she has walked me through everything. I’d tell others to go with AAG too.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Thank you for your positive review! We strive to provide the best experience for you and we’re happy to see that it was reflected.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Our mom has dementia, and with her needing to get some care at home and getting her house fixed, we decided on doing a reverse mortgage. We figured that she has got the equity in her house, so we might as well spend it on her. We looked at a lot of companies and we were sold with American Advisors Group because of Rodman. He has been very good about getting back to us, answering questions and sorting out the details. If it wasn’t for him, we would have avoided a really big company. There were also other companies with lower quotes, but Rodman has been very helpful and excellent.

Right now, we’re still gathering up everything together. Part of the problem is that my mom is under guardianship, and we have to get all the paperwork together. I’m one of the co-guardians and we have gotten the counseling through myself. My brother and sister are in the process, and we’ve sent all the paperwork. We are now trying to get insurance for my mother’s house and had it inspected today. Once all that goes through, Rodman would arrange for somebody from the mortgage company to help get the paperwork done. We’re dealing with a lot of legal mumbo jumbo on this, but so far, working on it with American Advisors Group has been a very pleasant experience.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

This is so great to hear, thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Advisors Group?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

We learned a lot from American Advisors Group (AAG) and the information we got was wonderful. But I can't believe the 20 sheets of paper I had to sign. Somehow, that should be cut down. At first, when I was told I gotta sign all that, I said to forget it. My daughter was sitting right there and said I better sign it so I did. It's not fun having to write your name 20 times at once in one morning. If possible the papers could be grouped into five each.

The process is slow and we have to wait. There are also certain other things that haven't been taken care of yet so the reverse mortgage hasn't officially gone through with our final. But AAG is following through and letting us know. There's a hesitance signing it all and going ahead with it because what we want done to improve the property is a big question right now. And we're debating with them about how much it's going to be. But all in all, we're happy so far.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

AAG has performed perfectly in delivering personalized service, understanding my goals and answering all of my questions. My contact is tremendous and very helpful. I'm most impressed by his down-to-earth style. I’m looking forward to continuing the process, and I recommend AAG to others.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

After working with John ** for over a month sending more and more paperwork almost daily, they just disappeared. Did not even have the decency to call me and tell me I had not qualified or anything. Even e-mailed him and asked if this how they do business, etc. NO ANSWER. Very bad business practices.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

You reach a certain age that you realize that you’re not gonna be able to work much longer. Right now, all I have is straight Social Security and I have Medicare to take care of my physical needs. I went with a reverse mortgage mainly to supplement my income, pay off a few debts, and consolidate everything else. It’s the first time I’ve ever worked with American Advisors Group. We’re at the stage now where we’re about to have the appraisal and AAG has delivered the service wonderfully. I have a loan with my regular bank, and that’s one of the things that they are gonna pay off. I didn’t expect as many forms as I got when the someone came by to do the notary work. But everything else is just what I expected. It was impressive how personable their loan officer was. He was nowhere near me, but he was friendly and he seemed to care about my situation.

Thank you, Carl!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

We were thinking about refinancing our mortgage and our son suggested that a reverse mortgage might be a better fit for us. American Advisors Group was the only company I’ve heard an advertisement from for reverse mortgages. Joyce, the rep, got all the paperwork and called the right people. She helped us get everything set up and when she said something, she meant it. I wish the process could’ve moved along a little faster and since I was dealing with people from all over, I prefer to deal with them face-to-face. Also, I don’t know how to use my email efficiently, so I chose not to do this on the computer. There was a lady who came and we signed all the papers sitting at our kitchen table. She made a second trip out because I didn’t date something. We’re not completely done yet and the appraiser was here this morning.

Thank you, Anna!