Call toll free
4.30/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Advisors Group (AAG) is the leading reverse mortgage provider in the United States. Our mission is to help adults 62+ improve their lives and plan for retirement through reverse mortgages.

AAG is a U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development Approved Lender, a member of the National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association, and a Top 3 place to work in Orange County, California.

American Advisors Group Video
American Advisors Group Gallery (1)
A-BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

AAG offers jumbo and conforming reverse mortgages and refinance loans. Their specialists are knowledgeable, and the online loan calculator gives you an idea of your loan options without submitting personal contact information.

PROS

• Free online loan calculator
  • Professional customer service
  • Loans up to $6 million

CONS

• Fees can add up quickly
  • Not available in Massachusetts

Top American Advisors Group (AAG) Reviews

Every facet of my Reverse Mortgage Loan was handled with respect and professionalism. It was made simple and they made sure each step was understood… They want you to be sure you understand each step.

... AAG stood by me all the way for getting me approved… They have all kinds of programs out there to help you. I did a thorough check of companies before I applied with AAG. Check them out. You will be happy you did.

About American Advisors Group

AAG reverse mortgage company offers a range of mortgage loan tools for eligible borrowers. You can select from reverse mortgages, refinance loans or jumbo loans; plus, you can even buy or sell your home. As one of the largest reverse mortgage providers in the United States, AAG mortgage specialists educate clients about the importance of using home equity as a retirement tool. Through the AAG reverse mortgage calculator, you can enter your property and homeowner details for a quick, free loan estimate — their loan calculator doesn’t require personal contact information. AAG reverse mortgage calculator estimates don’t include fees.

American Advisors Group solutions

AAG reverse mortgages
AAG provides several reverse mortgage options for different financial situations. An AAG home equity solutions specialist can help you determine which reverse mortgage loan option is best for you.
  •  Lump-sum payout: With a lump-sum payout, you can draw 60% of your funds in the first year and access the maximum amount of cash to pay for large expenses like medical bills or home improvement projects.
  • Growing line of credit: Tap into your home equity for a line of credit you can access over time. The unused principal amount progressively increases.
  • Jumbo loan reverse: AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgage is a proprietary loan that lets you withdraw up to $6 million in equity. It’s possible to eliminate monthly mortgage payments and get the full amount at closing.
  • Term or Tenure: With a term or tenure reverse mortgage through AAG, get fixed monthly payments to supplement your retirement income. Select how long you’d like to get monthly payments with a term reverse mortgage or get monthly payments as long as you live in your house with a tenure reverse mortgage.
  •  Reverse for Purchase: Buy a new property with a reverse for purchase loan without additional monthly mortgage payments as long as you keep up with property taxes, homeowner’s insurance and home maintenance costs.
AAG refinance loans
AAG provides two refinance loan options, cash out or rate and term.
  • Rate and Term: With a rate and term mortgage from AAG, you can trade in your existing mortgage for a new loan with better terms or interest rates. This may decrease the amount you have to pay each month and adjust the duration of the loan.
  • Cash out: Cash-out refinancing turns your equity into tax-free cash. You can use the funds to finance a large purchase or pay off high-interest debt, and it’s sometimes possible to deduct your mortgage interest from your taxes.
AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgage
Those with high-value loans can access up to $6 million in equity funds. Homeowners’ age, the value of their home and interest rate determines AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgage amounts. Similar to traditional reverse mortgages, AAG Advantage jumbo borrowers must complete financial counseling to apply for the loan. AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgages also require a home appraisal, and jumbo borrowers must meet certain loan obligations, including payment of property taxes, homeowner’s insurance and keeping the property in good repair.
AAG Residential Services
American Advisors Group Residential Services (AAGRS) helps older adults buy or sell a home. AAG brokers can help those who want to relocate, downsize or move closer to friends or family.

American Advisors Group FAQ

What is AAG?
AAG (American Advisors Group) is a reverse mortgage lender that provides government-insured home equity conversion loans, jumbo refinancing loans and other mortgage loan options.
What fees does AAG charge?
AAG charges an origination fee, closing costs, servicing fees and mortgage insurance premiums when required by HUD. Fees roll into the balance of the loan, and AAG charges interest on your balance, which grows over time.
What is the AAG Foundation?
The AAG Foundation is a paid volunteer time-off program for full-time AAG employees. Through the program, employees get eight hours per year of paid service to AAG Foundation-approved activities.
Where are AAG loan options available?
AAG is licensed in every state except Massachusetts.

Do we recommend AAG?

Yes, American Advisors Group provides several financial tools that can make retirement planning easier. AAG reverse mortgage reviews indicate professional and knowledgeable customer service specialists. American Advisors Group complaints often refer to a lengthy process and paperwork, which is typical with most reverse mortgage lenders.

American Advisors Group (AAG) Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I was given a list of companies to choose from and I picked American Advisors Group (AAG). I called them and they sent out a notary public gal to sign some papers. She came out, she went over a bunch of stuff with us and then she left. My interaction with their loan officer has been all right. The thing I’m having a problem with, and what really made me mad, is the appraiser guy. He called me up, we made an appointment, but I had a doctor’s appointment in Billings, so I had to change his appointment.

When I got done with my appointment in Billings, they wanted me to go in to see a heart doctor but they couldn’t get me in right away. And then, somebody canceled while we were sitting there so they got me in at 2 o’clock. And then, I remembered the appraiser was coming. So, I cancelled my 2pm doctor's appointment and went back to Lewistown because he’s gonna be there. When I got back to Lewistown, he called and left a message and said, "I’m canceling today.” I’m out about $300 because of that so I’m not very happy with him. I called him at home and he’s supposed to be here today. He should be here within the hour.

I’m a carpenter and I built my house. I bought the property for $210,000 and I had it paid off in 10 years. It was appraised at $265,000 and it has been 20 years since I built it. In the meantime, I’ve done improvements. I paved the driveway and I put a deck in on the back. AAG had to take another appraisal on this place. But we can’t really get this finished up until that appraisal’s done.

Get expert buying tips about Reverse Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

My wife is retiring within a year, but she got laid off for several years, and we lived on my 401k along with a bunch of stuff. I was already retired and couldn't get a job at my age, and nobody would hire me. So, we kinda burnt up all our savings trying to live. Then we still have a house payment, but if we could get rid of that and a couple other bills, she could retire. We could still live off of my pension and our social security, and not be too strapped for money. And a reverse mortgage would take care of our house payment for the next 10 years.

We’ve been dealing with Tom of AAG who is very nice and patient. He has tried to keep us from spending any unnecessary money, like we gotta take some financial course, which we’ve been having trouble getting set up. We need to get some other stuff out of the way before we take that course. I didn't know doing a reverse mortgage would be this difficult. I thought people would jump to get your house for half price. They're putting all these requirements on us, and we’re already financially-strapped. If we had perfect credit, we wouldn’t need a reverse mortgage. It’s aggravating in that sense.

Also, my wife has to talk to Tom to explain a couple of things about our finances, which we didn't really like. They wanted to know why we hadn't paid our property tax. It has been late a couple of times, but never past due. The only explanation is we didn't have that much money all at once, so we have to save it up a couple of months and pay it like that. It’s kinda rough if you're living on a limited income. Nevertheless, we’re still in the middle of everything and we're happy with AAG right now.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I’m basically up against the wall right now. The house needs repairs, and the mortgage company that my father left me has been pressuring me to sell the house and give it to them. But I’m not giving up a quarter million dollar house for $20,000, especially this is the house I grew up in. Looking into reverse mortgage, I compared AAG against other organizations and George, my point of contact, gave me a number that I was happy with. My wife and I went over their estimate and it looked like the numbers were right.

George has been exemplar in what I ask him to pull off, and I give him what he needs almost immediately. I asked him what’s the best way to get this expedited and he said that since I have given everything they requested and filled out the application, it’s already on its way. The appraisal fees were also paid so, hopefully, we’re gonna have an appraisal made on October 1st. We also had the notary over here just the other day, and she was surprised that we had all our documentation ready for her.

I used to be a mortgage processor myself back in the day, and my wife worked 14 years at a title insurance company. And everything that we’re seeing with AAG is what should be done. I’ve seen companies drag their feet and they take their time so long. But ours is running as well as we can we expect. Also, George and I both agreed, how many times we’ve seen the final settlement go sideways, and that’s what we’re trying to avoid. Him and I go back and forth almost everyday, either by emails or by phone. I notice there’s a three-hour delay because he’s out in California and we’re here in the East Coast. But I deal with all kinds of hours, so that’s not a problem. He has been very attentive and he's just been good. He said we could go as fast or as slow, and I told him we're going full throttle.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

My house really needs repairing bad so I wanted to apply for a reverse mortgage. I saw American Advisors Group's commercial, I got some information and read it. I felt like they were the one, that they wouldn’t lie to me and they would work with me so I decided to apply through them. I love working with their loan officer. She was very warm and friendly. As far as the process, I know I’ve told her to keep my file open because I was in the middle of getting a divorce. And she said, “I’ll wait. I’ll check with you about every three to four weeks,” which she did. Next Friday, my divorce will be final and I have a conference call with the people in charge. The loan officer told me to tell the people in charge of my divorce to fax the document over, whatever it is she needs, so she can get it into the computer system that afternoon and we can get started. I told her, “That’s fine. I’m going to Tennessee for a week and then I’ll be back.”

The loan officer said, “We can really get the ball rolling then.” She worked with me. She would check on any questions I had and kept me well-informed of everything that was going on and what would be happening. When I come back from Tennessee, I’d have to get an appraiser out there to see how much this house would be appraised for, and then she can tell me what percentage I would get. And I pray I get enough, at least or close to 70,000, because I gotta have new windows, two central units, insulation, all the flooring in my house, and my kitchen has gotta be torn down. She was super, super and she has walked me through everything. I’d tell others to go with AAG too.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Thank you for your positive review! We strive to provide the best experience for you and we’re happy to see that it was reflected.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Our mom has dementia, and with her needing to get some care at home and getting her house fixed, we decided on doing a reverse mortgage. We figured that she has got the equity in her house, so we might as well spend it on her. We looked at a lot of companies and we were sold with American Advisors Group because of Rodman. He has been very good about getting back to us, answering questions and sorting out the details. If it wasn’t for him, we would have avoided a really big company. There were also other companies with lower quotes, but Rodman has been very helpful and excellent.

Right now, we’re still gathering up everything together. Part of the problem is that my mom is under guardianship, and we have to get all the paperwork together. I’m one of the co-guardians and we have gotten the counseling through myself. My brother and sister are in the process, and we’ve sent all the paperwork. We are now trying to get insurance for my mother’s house and had it inspected today. Once all that goes through, Rodman would arrange for somebody from the mortgage company to help get the paperwork done. We’re dealing with a lot of legal mumbo jumbo on this, but so far, working on it with American Advisors Group has been a very pleasant experience.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

This is so great to hear, thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Advisors Group?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I saw AAG's ad on television and it sounded like they had their stuff together. Their loan officer that I deal with is very thorough and he covered everything. We're still going through the process and I was with the notary yesterday. The communication has been great and they've kept up with me and everything else. Usually, I get a callback every time something happens. My loan officer checks in to make sure I got all the emails and he's been great as far as that's concerned.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I saw AAG’s ad on Facebook, so I started reading about them, and then I filled in the thing they have there at the end. The next day, they called me back. So that was really nice. They’ve been really helpful and they’ve answered all my questions. The application process was very easy. They made it very simple to understand. They won’t try to put anything over on you and people my age, we like everything upfront and explained thoroughly, and it was. The loan officer made me feel very comfortable and at ease, and he made everything clear. There was no high pressure. He told me what it was all about, and we went over it, and he stayed in contact before my counseling session. So he’s been right with me through the whole process, so far. I really appreciate that. I understand the rate and terms more now. The counselor, Myra, I think from Horizon Counseling cleared up a few things.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I saw AAG's commercial on TV and I trust the spokesperson on that commercial. Now, I got an appointment this coming Wednesday to sign the application. The process has been going on for about 3 weeks and it's going through normally. Other than the loan officer being a little forgetful sometimes, everything is okay.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

My experience was great both. Special credit goes to customer rep. Brett **. at AAG reverse mortgage lender. You can count on them to be upfront, honest and they are the gold standard for people who need assistance. I would easily recommend them to anyone in need of reverse mortgage help. JY.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I have a couple of bills I wanna pay off and AAG seemed like the way to do it. I'm very satisfied with them. They're the one that called me back and I liked the way the rep talked. I liked his attitude and he was very precise and he seemed to do a very good job and he kept me informed on things. I'm very happy about that because I like to stay informed. He sent me down the right path and he gave me quite a few phone numbers to call up for the counseling. I called one and I went with that one.

American Advisors Group (AAG) Company Information