Visit Website
  2. Reverse Mortgages
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Visit Website
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.38/5

American Advisors Group (AAG) is the leading reverse mortgage provider in the United States. Our mission is to help adults 62+ improve their lives and plan for retirement through reverse mortgages.

AAG is a U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development Approved Lender, a member of the National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association, and a Top 3 place to work in Orange County, California.

American Advisors Group Video
American Advisors Group Gallery (1)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

AAG offers jumbo and conforming reverse mortgages and refinance loans. Their specialists are knowledgeable, and the online loan calculator gives you an idea of your loan options without submitting personal contact information.

PROS

• Free online loan calculator
  • Professional customer service
  • Loans up to $6 million

CONS

• Fees can add up quickly
  • Not available in Massachusetts

Top American Advisors Group (AAG) Reviews

Every facet of my Reverse Mortgage Loan was handled with respect and professionalism. It was made simple and they made sure each step was understood… They want you to be sure you understand each step.

... AAG stood by me all the way for getting me approved… They have all kinds of programs out there to help you. I did a thorough check of companies before I applied with AAG. Check them out. You will be happy you did.

American Advisors Group (AAG)(800) 485-9418 Visit Website

About American Advisors Group

AAG reverse mortgage company offers a range of mortgage loan tools for eligible borrowers. You can select from reverse mortgages, refinance loans or jumbo loans; plus, you can even buy or sell your home. As one of the largest reverse mortgage providers in the United States, AAG mortgage specialists educate clients about the importance of using home equity as a retirement tool. Through the AAG reverse mortgage calculator, you can enter your property and homeowner details for a quick, free loan estimate — their loan calculator doesn’t require personal contact information. AAG reverse mortgage calculator estimates don’t include fees.

American Advisors Group solutions

AAG reverse mortgages
AAG provides several reverse mortgage options for different financial situations. An AAG home equity solutions specialist can help you determine which reverse mortgage loan option is best for you.
  •  Lump-sum payout: With a lump-sum payout, you can draw 60% of your funds in the first year and access the maximum amount of cash to pay for large expenses like medical bills or home improvement projects.
  • Growing line of credit: Tap into your home equity for a line of credit you can access over time. The unused principal amount progressively increases.
  • Jumbo loan reverse: AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgage is a proprietary loan that lets you withdraw up to $6 million in equity. It’s possible to eliminate monthly mortgage payments and get the full amount at closing.
  • Term or Tenure: With a term or tenure reverse mortgage through AAG, get fixed monthly payments to supplement your retirement income. Select how long you’d like to get monthly payments with a term reverse mortgage or get monthly payments as long as you live in your house with a tenure reverse mortgage.
  •  Reverse for Purchase: Buy a new property with a reverse for purchase loan without additional monthly mortgage payments as long as you keep up with property taxes, homeowner’s insurance and home maintenance costs.
AAG refinance loans
AAG provides two refinance loan options, cash out or rate and term.
  • Rate and Term: With a rate and term mortgage from AAG, you can trade in your existing mortgage for a new loan with better terms or interest rates. This may decrease the amount you have to pay each month and adjust the duration of the loan.
  • Cash out: Cash-out refinancing turns your equity into tax-free cash. You can use the funds to finance a large purchase or pay off high-interest debt, and it’s sometimes possible to deduct your mortgage interest from your taxes.
AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgage
Those with high-value loans can access up to $6 million in equity funds. Homeowners’ age, the value of their home and interest rate determines AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgage amounts. Similar to traditional reverse mortgages, AAG Advantage jumbo borrowers must complete financial counseling to apply for the loan. AAG Advantage jumbo reverse mortgages also require a home appraisal, and jumbo borrowers must meet certain loan obligations, including payment of property taxes, homeowner’s insurance and keeping the property in good repair.
AAG Residential Services
American Advisors Group Residential Services (AAGRS) helps older adults buy or sell a home. AAG brokers can help those who want to relocate, downsize or move closer to friends or family.

American Advisors Group FAQ

What is AAG?
AAG (American Advisors Group) is a reverse mortgage lender that provides government-insured home equity conversion loans, jumbo refinancing loans and other mortgage loan options.
What fees does AAG charge?
AAG charges an origination fee, closing costs, servicing fees and mortgage insurance premiums when required by HUD. Fees roll into the balance of the loan, and AAG charges interest on your balance, which grows over time.
What is the AAG Foundation?
The AAG Foundation is a paid volunteer time-off program for full-time AAG employees. Through the program, employees get eight hours per year of paid service to AAG Foundation-approved activities.
Where are AAG loan options available?
AAG is licensed in every state except Massachusetts.

Do we recommend AAG?

Yes, American Advisors Group provides several financial tools that can make retirement planning easier. AAG reverse mortgage reviews indicate professional and knowledgeable customer service specialists. American Advisors Group complaints often refer to a lengthy process and paperwork, which is typical with most reverse mortgage lenders.

American Advisors Group (AAG) Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I did a Google search on the best reverse mortgage companies and I went through Consumer Report. I also did some research with AARP and with our HUD counselor. They had a list of reverse mortgage companies and American Advisors Group was at the top. So, we decided to go with them. My dad just passed away on October and it helped to know that my mom wouldn’t have to be putting out that amount of mortgage since her income would be cut in half as she would not have my dad’s security anymore. And the payout at closing really helped. Our rep, Jared, was good at explaining how the reverse mortgage worked with the interest, the home equity line of credit after the first year and how it builds on it, and that she can draw from it. He was very kind and considerate, too.

Aside from that, Jared was really good at answering all our questions. I tried to come up with as many of them as I could because I’ve heard both good and bad about reverse mortgages. In fact, I was talking to a friend the other day about it and I told her that we talked to our counselor like we were supposed to and he had no claim to any of this. He was just really good at walking me and my mom through the jargon and putting it into plain terms rather than just talking over us like some of them do so much. It felt like he was really on our side and that he was trying to do what was best for us and not just make money, which was a big selling point for my mom. We understand that they need to get something out of it, but the big sell was they wanted to help people to be able to stay in their homes.

I also liked that the rep gave us the three options for the fixed rate versus the variable interest rate. There are two types of variable interest rates and he was explaining the differences as well as what would be best for us. He didn’t try to push us into one or the other, and what he said would be best for us was the same thing that our counselor told us would be best for us. And that really made me feel good that he wasn’t trying to pull our leg. Other than that, our representative was very conscientious about what my mom’s going through. He was gonna call in one day and he called me first. Then, when I told him that she was having a really hard day, he was very understanding and just told me to let him know when he could call and talk to her.

Get expert buying tips about Reverse Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

About five years ago, I very vaguely looked into reverse mortgages. I was curious what they were. Then several years ago, I had taken most of my money out of my retirement to pay the house off. I thought that I was living on a fixed income and could live very comfortably month to month on that. I also had enough to put in a small amount in savings.

I went online to AARP and asked them some questions about reverse mortgages and different companies. They gave a list of companies and they talked about the pros and cons of the reverse mortgage. AAG was one of the ones that they listed as being reputable. That, combined with the advertisement I saw on TV, made me think to call them and see. Then, I never went anywhere else simply because I was very pleased with them.

The appraiser is coming out next week and the appraisal makes a huge difference. I get tickled at Angelica because she keeps saying she thinks the house will appraise for a certain amount. I just laugh and say, "It won’t. You don’t know Bella Vista. Appraisers are notoriously lower than what most others would be.” And she'd laugh and say that we'd cross that bridge when we get to it, but we’d keep our hopes up and hope they give us the highest appraisal they can give.

Angelica's knowledge and her willingness to listen to my concerns and my questions impressed me. And if she wasn’t absolutely certain of an answer, she'd tell me that she would get back to me and she did. She’s also very personable, made me feel like I was an individual and listens very well, which is unusual nowadays. She was also able to allay my fears. If I do it, it's on me. I don’t ever want my children to be burdened financially with anything. I have no idea whether I’d use the money or not, but it gives me a feeling of comfort knowing that it’s there if I need it.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

I was looking into doing a mortgage with Discover Bank and my brother-in-law said, "You know, they're not the only ones out there." That got me to thinking, and then I got an email about the AAG, so I thought what's the harm in just asking for information? And so, I did and I got a callback within less than an hour after putting my information in. And they have rolled on this so much. It was November when I talked to Antoinette from AAG and the process was rolled right along. With the Discover Bank, I started this process in September. It is December now and they are still horsing around. With Discover, if they sent somebody out to do an appraisal of my house, they never set a time, they never came inside, nothing. At least, with AAG, they've had an appraiser come in and take pictures so they could appraise the house.

On top of that, Discover Bank decided that they had to pay off all of my creditors like my credit cards and my student loan. That was their choice, not mine, and so, I was gonna end up with $30,000 and that was it. I was gonna have to pay them $805 a month to pay them back. With AAG, after having talked to Antoinette, “I can pay if I want to, I don't have to” kind of a thing. And I've talked to my kids and decided that AAG is a much better way to go than the other one because with the other one, I'd be in the same boat I was in. How do I save up the money that I need to save up every month to pay the big bills like the taxes and the house insurance at the end of the year? I need to put so much away. If I'd be paying the Discover one, right now it's really great, but when it got down to the to the tax bill, I wouldn't have anything put away. This is why I'm hopefully finishing up with AAG.

AAG reps are awesome. If you call, they call you right back. I feel much better working with Antoinette, especially with the notary coming out for me to sign all of that stuff, and for an actual assessor to come out and actually look at the house and take pictures. And so, I told the Discover people I didn't wanna pursue it. AAG has gotten to the point where I've signed a bunch of documents in front of the notary and they've had the assessor come out. The assessor has to do their thing and get it back over to Antoinette and then we're into the closing. So, for less than a month, we've gone a long way.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I’m basically up against the wall right now. The house needs repairs, and the mortgage company that my father left me has been pressuring me to sell the house and give it to them. But I’m not giving up a quarter million dollar house for $20,000, especially this is the house I grew up in. Looking into reverse mortgage, I compared AAG against other organizations and George, my point of contact, gave me a number that I was happy with. My wife and I went over their estimate and it looked like the numbers were right.

George has been exemplar in what I ask him to pull off, and I give him what he needs almost immediately. I asked him what’s the best way to get this expedited and he said that since I have given everything they requested and filled out the application, it’s already on its way. The appraisal fees were also paid so, hopefully, we’re gonna have an appraisal made on October 1st. We also had the notary over here just the other day, and she was surprised that we had all our documentation ready for her.

I used to be a mortgage processor myself back in the day, and my wife worked 14 years at a title insurance company. And everything that we’re seeing with AAG is what should be done. I’ve seen companies drag their feet and they take their time so long. But ours is running as well as we can we expect. Also, George and I both agreed, how many times we’ve seen the final settlement go sideways, and that’s what we’re trying to avoid. Him and I go back and forth almost everyday, either by emails or by phone. I notice there’s a three-hour delay because he’s out in California and we’re here in the East Coast. But I deal with all kinds of hours, so that’s not a problem. He has been very attentive and he's just been good. He said we could go as fast or as slow, and I told him we're going full throttle.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

My house really needs repairing bad so I wanted to apply for a reverse mortgage. I saw American Advisors Group's commercial, I got some information and read it. I felt like they were the one, that they wouldn’t lie to me and they would work with me so I decided to apply through them. I love working with their loan officer. She was very warm and friendly. As far as the process, I know I’ve told her to keep my file open because I was in the middle of getting a divorce. And she said, “I’ll wait. I’ll check with you about every three to four weeks,” which she did. Next Friday, my divorce will be final and I have a conference call with the people in charge. The loan officer told me to tell the people in charge of my divorce to fax the document over, whatever it is she needs, so she can get it into the computer system that afternoon and we can get started. I told her, “That’s fine. I’m going to Tennessee for a week and then I’ll be back.”

The loan officer said, “We can really get the ball rolling then.” She worked with me. She would check on any questions I had and kept me well-informed of everything that was going on and what would be happening. When I come back from Tennessee, I’d have to get an appraiser out there to see how much this house would be appraised for, and then she can tell me what percentage I would get. And I pray I get enough, at least or close to 70,000, because I gotta have new windows, two central units, insulation, all the flooring in my house, and my kitchen has gotta be torn down. She was super, super and she has walked me through everything. I’d tell others to go with AAG too.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Thank you for your positive review! We strive to provide the best experience for you and we’re happy to see that it was reflected.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Advisors Group?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

THIS COMPANY DOES CREDIT CHECKS!!! Seniors need to shop around for Reverse Mortgage even if you have plenty of equity. I was turned down because of poor FICO score. I told them I was selling the house this year but that didn't matter. They set aside a portion of the equity for property taxes & insurance to cover the length of time they assume you'll be living in the house (approx. 15 yrs). You don't get the total equity in your bank account.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I was looking at social security benefits, and seeing that AAG had a very good rating, I called them up and inquired. They answered all the questions I needed to know. It’s just a matter of waiting for things to happen. Michelle is very diligent and helpful. She's an excellent person and if we ever meet personally, I know that I would enjoy her presence. We had a lot of things in common. Overall, it has been a very good experience.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

My daughter, Lisa, who was the deciding person was very active into finding out about reverse mortgage. She got so much information going and then had a reverse mortgage person come over here. One lady from American Advisors Group was here and it was a good experience. She was so nice. She went over everything with us. We went everything by phone the week before that, and they covered a lot of things. They had a lot of things going that might be of some advantage to us. So far, that's where we're at. We'll see what happens especially with the reverse mortgage. We have a lot of time.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I'm in the middle of working with AAG on a reverse mortgage and Michael has been very thorough and on top of everything. He's a warm, friendly and outgoing guy. He's a couple of years older than me, so I think we kinda see the world the same way. Any time I had a question, I could just pick up the phone and give him a call, and he was either right there or he got back to me right away. We haven’t gone through the final stages yet but I'm expecting a lady who’s coming to do the evaluation on the house. And they’ve made it very convenient for me. The paperwork was all brought to me by a notary. So, I haven’t had to go out of my way to do anything. They’ve done an excellent job so far.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

The communication has been very good. I’m working with a young man and he's been terrific, although I haven’t heard from him for a while. I don’t know what the bottom line is yet. But we’re kind of in limbo with regards to the appraisal. Other than that, he’s been spot-on. He follows up with me and he answers any questions. I’m very impressed with him. I wanted to get a reverse mortgage to have cash available in the event of an emergency such as a new furnace, HVAC or roof. Those are things that I know are pretty old in my house. I’m older. I have 95% equity in my house and I’m single. I don't want to tweak my retirement but whatever I’m allocated with AAG, it’ll be money there. I would only use it on an as-needed basis for a handful of things.

American Advisors Group (AAG) Company Information