Call toll free
4.33/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Advisors Group (AAG) is the leading reverse mortgage provider in the United States. Our mission is to help adults 62+ improve their lives and plan for retirement through reverse mortgages.

AAG is a U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development Approved Lender, a member of the National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association, and a Top 3 place to work in Orange County, California.

American Advisors Group Video
American Advisors Group Gallery (1)
A-BBB Rating
View More View More

649 American Advisors Group (AAG) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Here is a summary of my interactions with AAG. Sept 3 Mother-in-law died. Oct 6 Notice left at her house calling note. Oct 16 Called AAG Reverse Mortgage Department 866-654-0020. Oct 16 emailed requested information and asked for payoff amount. Oct 18 called AAG Reverse Mortgage Department 866-278-2008. Mary could not give me a payoff amount. She said she would research and call me with the information. No call. Oct 22 called AAG Reverse Mortgage Department 866-278-2008. Heather told me the system was down and she couldn’t answer any specific questions. Oct 24 called AAG Reverse Mortgage Department 866-278-2008. Linda told me system was down but gave me her extension number **. Oct 25 called AAG Reverse Mortgage Department 866-278-2008 and entered extension **. Recording said it was incorrect extension. Talked to Anjelica who told me system was down.

Oct 25 called several numbers I found in AAG file. Stu ** at 1-866-948-0003 extension **, who originated the loan. I left a message. I called José ** at 1-866-948-0003 extension ** and left a message. I then called Jerry ** at 1-866-948-0003 extension **. A man named John answered and said he was in Georgia and could not answer questions but gave me the number 866-828-3111. I call that and left a message. Oct 25 received a call from Rachel who told me to call 866-278-2008. I told her I had called this number numerous times. She placed me on hold and gave me the wiring instructions to AAG’s Bank. Oct 30 Wired cashier’s check in amount in AAG letter of Oct 6 to above account. Although asterisk by that amount stated I needed to call to get correct amount! Oct 30 received a call and message from someone to call about a time sensitive matter.

Oct 31 called and was told by a man whose name I didn’t get that we owed additional $200+ for $700 appraisal and $10 for something else. I told him my story. He was sympathetic but told me to call 866-828-3111. He transferred me to Cheryl at that number. I left a message and as of Nov 3 had received no callback. Nov 16 A call from AAG asking for monthly update. Caller had no idea of payoff or above interactions. Dec 3 letter and packet from AAG saying we now owed $1300 more than in October. This was first written notice 1) that we owed an additional $ 282.02 (in October!) and 2) that our cashier’s check had been returned, both over one month after they occurred.

“As a result of the charges mentioned above, the wire in the amount of $92,349.58 we received on October 31, 2018, was $282.02 short to pay the loan in full. We called you and your wife to advise that the payoff amount was short. As we did not receive the shortage amount, the wire was returned November 2, 20 I 8.” The short amount was never communicated to us in writing in spite of repeated requests beginning in October. This is the worst customer service I have ever received from anyone.

Get expert buying tips about Reverse Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

We just completed a Reverse Mortgage. We were told by the agent when we signed the closing documents nothing had changed. As one spouse was in the Hospital, it was hard to compare the quote to the closing docs, so we took their word. Well, we lost over $7,000 we were supposed to get from what we thought we were to get as the numbers in fact did change. So much for Trust at AAG. Our Settlement charges actually doubled from that quoted and our line of credit dropped $5,000. SO, never trust any AAG agent's word, always compare before you sign and stay away from AAG as it is not reputable in our case.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

George, thank you for the review. We apologize that you didn’t have a great experience; please give us a call at 866-219-7753 to hear more on how we can improve.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Our experience was good, however, some of the requirements for proving and presenting finished items needing attention by the homeowner, could be streamlined to help speed the process along. There were some miscommunications that dragged things out too.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Michael, thank you for your response!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Excellent experience except for one thing that weird Asian appearing names showed on my credit reports as being names I go by and I was told it was impossible to track down which report/where that erroneous info. came from. Steve ** gave exceptional service, very quick and thorough responses to questions, very professional and knowledgeable. Except for that one disturbing thing the whole experience was very positive and I would recommend AAG and Steve to others.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Constance, thank you for your positive review! We strive to provide the best experience for you and we’re happy to see that it was reflected.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I am not very good at writing things like this. All I can say is that everyone I talked to treated me with the utmost respect and were very eager to be helpful and friendly. I am glad that I decided to call AAG.

Richard,

This is so great to hear, thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Advisors Group?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

On the whole, it has been a relatively pleasant experience, thanks to the help of Bonnie **, my agent. The only thing I could fault you with is the lack of understanding with my credit report. With such a good rating, it is obvious that I pay my bills and pay them promptly. The credit reports lag in recording such is not my fault.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Our experience with James ** was just about perfect. He is knowledgeable, accommodating, excellent at answering questions and explaining things. James was always there for us, and responded to phone calls promptly. He is patient and very kind. He facilitated the process enormously and even found ways to save us money. James is an amazing asset to AAG.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Kristina ** is probably the only reason that this "finalized". She could not have worked harder and got Arlene processing manager to fix Melissa's mess. Melissa just could NOT understand having a small home business that makes money. She just KEPT asking for big business items that home businesses DON'T have. P&L etc. kept slowiiinnng down everything. Kristina is a total jewel for AAG. You could replace Melisa & come out way ahead. Thank you Kristina & Arlene!

I spent tooo many hours on the phone for this loan but do appreciate it.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I helped to guide my 96 year old aunt, Theresa ** through the process. During the process, I worked very closely with Tim - he was the MOST patient representative I have ever worked with. He guided me through every aspect so that I was able to assist my aunt. I am happy to share my experience with him/AAG with anyone who may be asking for a testimonial!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

AAG was very easy to work with and always answered my questions in a timely manner. From the Loan Officer, Mario ** to the Loan Processor, Tabatha **. They made the process easy to understand. I would highly recommend them to a friend. They really cared about me and what I needed to make this work for me.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

We had a very good experience with AAG and George. He was always available when we had questions and concerns. He would always call to let us know what the next step would be in our process and how things were going. I felt the whole process was done quickly and thoroughly. I felt he made me very comfortable with a new process we were not familiar with.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Very smooth transaction. Everyone involved was friendly and professional. Felt like they went out of their way to help me get the money I needed with the least amount of inconvenience to me. At 86 I appreciate the help.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The people at AAG were very helpful in our decision to apply for our reverse mortgage and were there for us all the way through the process. I recommend AAG for anyone considering a reverse mortgage. Great service.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The folks in California told me funds could be disbursed with either a check or a wire transfer. The folks in Michigan have added a third alternative: an ACH Transfer. Perhaps the folks in California and the folks in Michigan should get together. ☺☺☺☺

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

David ** was very knowledgeable and explained the program extensively and showed me that it is the best decision for me. He made it flow through the process smoothly and took less time than anticipated.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The experience with my loan officer William ** and processor Natasha were great. Bill kept me up to date on the process. The experience with underwriting was awful! They almost seemed like this was their first loan. Every week I had to provide them with redundant income verification paperwork. Almost felt like I was lying to them about income and other loan information. It would have been much easier and less stressful if they provided a checklist of required documentation which I would have expected and provided, as opposed to the piecemeal approach I went through. I am thrilled to have had finally got the loan which I really needed but the process could have been a lot smoother!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I had the pleasure of working with Mike **... He was very professional, informative, and basically a nice all around person... Always there to answer my questions...very personable. I feel he will always be there for my husband and me. Thank you, Mike.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Recently I did a Reverse Mortgage done with AAG. My advisor was excellent and extremely helpful. During the process, all the different departments that aided me were extremely knowledgeable and helpful throughout the process, I can't thank them all enough.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

It was a pleasure to work with David ** and Maria **, they made the process of getting a Reverse Mortgage extremely easier. David was always on time with our weekly telephone appointments and was open to me emailing him with questions, clarification of items we discussed. He didn't force me to make a decision, and explained my options, so that I could understand them. After the approval/signature process was done he mentioned to me that if I had any questions at all I should contact him and if he couldn't answer them he would direct me to the proper department to get my answer.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

My experience going through this process was one of ease; although long. Everyone with whom I worked was pleasant and so very helpful. From Michael **'s and everyone else, I couldn’t be more pleased with the support and guidance I received. I was a complete novice with this process, but the AAG staff made it all so easy and painless. Thank you all very much!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Read AAG reviews and they are excellent so called and couldn't be happier. They handled everything in a very helpful manner and I truly enjoyed working with Mike **. He was on top of it at every step of the way and made many helpful and needed recommendations. Thank you AAG. Excellent professional, friendly and extremely helpful team.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I shopped 3 companies. I got 3 proposals. Then I picked a company in my neighborhood I wanted meetings in person. I then dropped them went back to AAG and they were great. They worked great with me even though I dropped them. I had Nishli **. She was one of the nicest person I ever talked to. Both smart and kind and patient. We will never forget her. Especially when I see Tommy **; thanks Nishli.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Lorainne ** was an excellent representative of AAG. She went out of the way for us. She was well prepared in all aspects of the process and accessible for our questions. She made the process simple and easy for us. Lorraine is an asset to aag and we feel very fortunate to have her as our representative.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

My experience regarding the reverse mortgage I applied for on behalf of my mother, Ana ** was excellent. Thanks to Glenn ** who assisted us in every way possible since my time was very limited given I work full time and at nights and weekends I take care of my mom. He went beyond his call of duty and explained every detail to me in a very professional manner yet understandable. He was also accessible to me if I had any concerns. I would highly recommend to anybody to use AAG for their reverse mortgage needs.

American Advisors Group (AAG) response

Thank you for your positive review! We strive to provide the best experience for you and we’re happy to see that it was reflected.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I will be very fair when I tell you AAG cost us thousands of dollars! David ** and an agent, I cannot remember her name, were late in getting the paperwork to us and the law changed before it was straightened out. A lawyer was suppose to be at our house the night before the law changed and never showed up because they did not get the paperwork. Thanks to Rene ** it was eventually resolved but not until it had cost us a bunch of money. We were also told that we might get some monetary consideration at the end for the loss but we didn't. Again, thank you Rene **.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

AWESOME!! From start to finish, everything was first rate. The entire experience went very smoothly. I would and have recommended AAG to anyone I know or meet, who is in the market for a reverse mortgage. I would like to thank AAG & everyone involved.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

My agent John ** did an excellent job of explaining the details of the process. The process itself was relatively simple although there is a massive amount of paperwork. In my opinion, the only negative is the total amount of fees that are charged.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

The entire process went very smoothly. I appreciate Dawn's patience and persistence in helping me get all the necessary documents. Steve and Dawn were very good at answering my questions and moving the process along.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Mr. ** you were very professional and always available to assist me with my reverse mortgage with courtesy and kindness. If I needed any explanation with my loan, you were patient and made sure I fully understood your reply. It was a pleasure to work with you and a comfort knowing you would be there to assist me in this endeavor. I would highly recommend AAG and you, Mr. **, to anyone interested in obtaining a reverse mortgage. I appreciated the assurance you gave me throughout the whole time working with me and lifting the heavy burden I was carrying at the time I contacted you for assistance. Thank you very much for all your help and advice you gave me step by step. You were very informative at all levels of my loan.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Reverse Mortgage - We were told by two different people that visited our home that we would receive $42,000. We got $2000.00 and were told that is all. I was informed that we were told that you would only be paying off the Mortgage. We were not informed of this until we got the $2000.00. Our home was estimated to be $104,000.00. What happened to the other $60,000.00 after the $42,000 was paid to Chase. I will never ever believe anything you tell me ever again. I am extremely dissatisfied with your company and will not recommend anybody else to do this.

American Advisors Group expert review by Michele Lerner

American Advisors Group has been in business for approximately 10 years. Its mission is to help seniors convert as much home equity into tax free cash as possible.

• Fairly well-known company: AAG has been offering reverse mortgages for over 10 years and has used celebrity spokespeople in its marketing campaigns.

• Clear info on site: AAG’s website includes a frequently asked question section, which contains detailed information about reverse mortgages.

• Offers free informational kit: Rather than applying online, consumers are encouraged to send for free information before making their decision.

• Customer service: There have been consumer complaints alleging that it took months for AAG to close on a reverse mortgage.

• Comparison: Some consumers claim that they got less money once AAG closed on the mortgage than they would have from competing companies.

• Best for: Seniors who want to enjoy their later years and seniors who expect their house’s value to rise.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

American Advisors Group (AAG) Company Information