toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Hi Cindy,

We appreciate you and your husband for choosing AAG for your reverse mortgage loan, and are are happy to hear that we were able to address all of your questions and concerns. Thank you for sharing your positive experience.

-AAG

Original review: March 29, 2017

My husband and I were extremely happy with AAG regarding our reverse mortgage! All of our questions and concerns were answered and addressed to our satisfaction! It was a pleasure dealing with the knowledgeable and understanding people of AAG!

This was an exciting and enlightening experience that I would not have missed even without the money to make the balance of my life easier. The personnel who worked with me were as professional and knowledgeable as any I have encountered. Cory ** was so helpful and never failed to furnish me with the answers to sometimes dumb questions, that I had for him. His great personality always made me believe he intended me to understand the process in every phase. The whole process from application to finish lasted approximately sixty days, and I was made aware of any changes that affected me by Cory and Robert ** several times weekly. I have a friend I have recommended AAG to. My only regret is that I did not do this sooner.

This was the best thing I ever did for myself. My Loan Officer, Bonnie **, was the nicest, most helpful and patient person I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. She was able to explain every step of the process in detail and was always very nice to me when I asked the same questions over and over again. This seems too good to be true, but it is for real and will make my life a lot easier financially. The process is pretty quick and I would recommend it to anyone in need.

My Acct Mgr was extremely helpful, diligent, responsive and in constant communication with me throughout this process. He was very professional & maintained a supportive & positive approach. His efforts qualify him for "10" stars vs. "5" stars in this survey. My Underwriter however, was the antithesis of my Acct Mgr. She was frustratingly non-communicative; did not return phone calls & failed to honor multiple requests, many in writing, to communicate with me vs. my elder parent. This lack of respect to honor my requests for working exclusively with me caused emotional upset for my parent, delayed process until I was able to ascertain what the requests for information were about & made me very frustrated. Thankfully, my Acct Mgr was able to clarify & update me on needed information to move the process forward. I rate my Underwriter as a "0". My rating in stars therefore is a "3" overall.

Reverse mortgage - Process was about what I expected, but much more paperwork and longer process than I expected. Considering that my house was paid for, I felt like I was a credit risk rather than a good prospect.

The preliminary info received was complete, our understanding and needs were met. During the process all appointments were scheduled to our convenience. All expectations were met as promised. AAG representatives are most qualified and it was a pleasure to work with. Thanks to all at AAG.

Hi Norman,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We would be happy to speak with you regarding your experience. Please feel free to call our CARES Team at (866) 948-0003 or email us at comments@aag.com.

-AAG

Original review: June 9, 2017

Everything worked fairly well. Lost the original Loan Officer who was terrific but transition was easy. Big exception, Financial Assets are either under staffed or incompetent, or a combination of both. It seem to me that AAG could exercise more "guidance" there or find a better partner.

Reverse mortgage application - I had a very good experience dealing with the people who guided me through the process of my application. Everyone was very professional and supportive and tried to make sure all my questions were answered. They do a good job of following up after each step I took in the process.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Advisors Group?

The people of your company are very professional and at the same time very personal. I had a great experience with the people that walked me through the process and checked on me to make sure everything was alright. They represent you well.

Hi Craig,

Thank you for choosing American Advisors Group. It sounds like you are happy with your loan, however we would like to address the other aspects of your experience that did not meet your expectations. Please reach out to our CARES Team at (866) 948-0003 so that we can assist you in resolving this matter.

Original review: June 6, 2017

Could have been a lot better. While the loan did eventually get closed the process was brutal. Horrible communication from AAG and almost no way to get a response or to communicate information. I did get a good deal but paid the price to with the process.

Hi Gerald,

Thank you for your vote of confidence in our company and services. We hope that your reverse mortgage loan is able to help you continue to enjoy your active lifestlye. We appreciate your review.

Original review: June 6, 2017

My wife and I are in our early 70's and still like to travel. We retired as early as we thought possible but have found that inflation and our active lifestyle has put a dent in our nest egg. We looked into the reverse mortgage to gain access to the equity in our house without having to sell or increase our monthly expenditures. AAG was helpful and patient with us as we worked our way through the process. They made suggestions that gave us the best outcome for our situation and I would recommend them to anybody looking at the reverse mortgage to help with senior life finances.

My experience with AAG and Tom ** has been very satisfactory. Tom really knows and understands the Reverse Mortgage. He explained each item to me so that I understood it. Whenever I had a question via telephone or email, he answered me promptly. Doing business with Tom has been very pleasant and informative. Thank you, Tom!

Please! Run, run far away from these people... They lie, manipulate, take advantage of the sick and elderly. They should be ashamed, and what the family has to deal with after their loved one has passed away is terrible. I do not understand how a company can take advantage of a terminally ill person, who is on radiation, chemo, numerous pain meds, and is in early stages of Alzheimer's... I truly do not feel like my father was able to make a rational decision about a reverse mortgage, and his doctors agree. If you do decide to go this route, talk to your family, make sure they understand what's going on.

Hi Karen,

Your feedback is important to us, and we appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. Please feel free to reach out to our CARES Team at (866) 948-0003 so that we can help resolve this matter.

-AAG

Original review: May 31, 2017

This was the biggest mess I have ever gotten into. After months (6) of calling with no answers, being transferred to my loan agent, with no response emails went unanswered, finally the last phone called when I got hot under the collar did my loan agent answered and said, "No one called you? Your loan has been rejected a month ago." It would have been nice if someone told me. Nowhere in the ads did it say you must have a high credit score and all bills must be up to date, sorry if that was the case why would anyone deal with AAG. Sorry Miss ** but you were the worst dealing with. Out of the office Wed. Fri. and Monday. Won't answer phones on Tues or Thur. You must have a hell of vac time.

I only had conversations with 2 AAG employees. They were both very knowledgeable and helpful. I did get very concerned because it took so long to ever get a closing date --- 8 months. We closed on 5/18 and my money was in my acct on 5/22. Very good company to deal with.

Once I got to work with the same loan officer the transaction ran more smoothly. Was not happy with the repair department at first. Not familiar with this area of AAG. I became intimidated by this lady's approach via phone conversation in regards to repair needs to complete loan requirements. Everything is OK now!

Since I'm not stupid I started out fully understanding most about a reverse mortgage. I started out the process working with two companies, AAG & one other. The whole process did take longer than I had anticipated... over three months. And I ran into a major snag.... company costs of getting into the program. Was very surprised AAG covered those costs and that made my decision much easier. And yes, the person I worked with (Tyler) made the entire experience very enjoyable. He was most knowledgeable and friendly. But on the other hand I was "friendly" as well. True, both companies made sure I understood the program I was going into. As to all the paperwork and signing my name page after page... the process needs simplification. To finish: the reverse mortgage program can be a wonderful help in retirement with financial matters. It's working for me!

Hi Cathelene,

Thank you for choosing American Advisors Group, and for sharing your experience on ConsumerAffairs. We are happy to hear that your loan officer took the time to answer all of your questions thorughly.

Original review: May 26, 2017

We were somewhat leery about obtaining a reverse mortgage. However, we spoke to David ** at AAG and he was able to ensure us how the reverse mortgage would work for us. We had new questions about mortgage for several weeks and David was able to answer them clearly. We contacted two other lenders and each tried to match AAG's proposal but our research indicated AAG's reputation was much better.

Hi Elgin,

Your feedback is important to us and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We welcome you to contact our CARES Team at (866) 948-0003 so that we can work towards finding a resolution.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I have to call you at your office and cell - not one call was not call was return. You did a very good job, but the last 2-3 weeks before closing - nothing. This was true after it was closed. I felt you got your $, you moved on to greener pastures.

My father tried to do a reverse mortgage on his home with AAG and everything went great. They kept in touch, explained what he needed to do to get things started and then the money game began. AFTER they talk and explain what is needed, then they send out people to appraise which cost a good bit of money (something that if we had to throw around, we wouldn't be needing to reverse mortgage). Then they need this, then they need that. Just a big run around. Then they finally tell him what he has been waiting on, that they will be closing the following week that everything is good.

THEN, just a few days before they close, someone else calls and tells him that they won't be able to do it. They knew all the circumstances from the beginning and led him to believe that it was no problem up until they had got all the money they could get from him. Then to just drop him? That's the way they treat our seniors? Fine, if you can't do it then just say so, don't take the little money they have just to led them on then kick them to the curve after they've given you what little they have. Total SCAM!!!

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Please feel free to call us at (866) 948-0003 or email us at comments@aag.com so our CARES Team can assist you in resolving this matter.

-AAG

Original review: May 24, 2017

Consistently lacked in communication between myriad officers and staff. Communication with one officer in particular was so frustrating that we considered terminating the application several times. Due to incompetent management there was inconsistent information with slow response to issues. There was lack of full disclosure until action has already been taken.

For example, we requested a fixed rate mortgage, not an ARM but found to our dismay the final papers contained an ARM. Monthly statements contain cost line items not identified except by 1 word. What level of home mortgage insurance does HUD provide based on our mortgage document, not some unfounded forward projection? We would not recommend your firm to other interested applicants.

Hi Edward,

We apologize that your experience was not up to expectations. Please feel free to call our CARES Team at (866) 948-0003 or email us at comments@aag.com so that we can assist you in addressing this matter.

-AAG

Original review: May 23, 2017

I was researching info on HECM's online, filling out a form and was contacted by AAG before I'd even completed it - I did not initiate the contact. The person who contacted me stated he could give me more specifics after 'running some numbers' and would contact me in a few days. AAG (through CBCINNOVIS) made a hard inquiry on my credit. I gave neither verbal nor written authorization, nor would I have. Other HECM providers contacted me and were very upfront and used the numbers I gave them for estimates and made it clear anything more solid would require a hard inquiry which would require my permission.

The hard inquiry had a very small effect, but was done without my permission. Although the information I received was useful (hence two stars instead of just one) I am not currently interested in applying for any type of HECM but like to leave my options open and be informed. Due to my experience with AAG's aggressive marketing and the hard inquiry I didn't authorize, I do not intend to do business with AAG.

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to hear that you were happy with your loan officer. Please feel free to contact our CARES Team to discuss your overall experience. We can be reached at (866) 948-0003 or by email at comments@aag.com.

Original review: May 21, 2017

William ** was our loan officer and he was wonderful. He did a very fine job of keeping us informed and up to date on the process, answered all our questions and handled the problems that arose. We were not happy with the funding group, FNC Finance. They took so long to get things together and process the loan. We started this process in the middle of January and finally closed on May 11, 2017. We will address this with AAG personally. It seemed that the right hand did not know what the left hand was doing. We are very happy to finally get it done, but what a lesson in patience we had to learn! Thank you for providing this Consumer Review Form.

Hi Robert,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. American Advisors Group has a special department called the CARES Team that was specifically formed to help address these types of matters. Please feel free to give us a call at (866) 948-0003 or via email at comments@aag.com.

Original review: May 21, 2017

I started with my initial contact on March 19th and sent in my mortgage statement for the agent to review on March 20th. After two months and paying almost $600 for the appraisal and the education course. AAG could not help me with the loan. Our appraisal showed our value to be $240,000 higher than the existing loan and they still could not find a way to replace the loan and provide assistance. This is incompetent to take the process this far and not be able close. Very disappointed!

I am very satisfied with working with Nathaniel **. He was very professional, but yet very personable, and a joy to work with. I am very satisfied with the way he explained the process to me. He eased all the bad things I have heard about a reverse mortgage. I have recommended this to a friend, and as soon as I give him Nathaniel's phone number, I am sure he will be calling him too. I want to personally Thank Nathaniel for being so professional.

I had been putting off looking into a reverse mortgage for years, even though I was pretty sure I was more than qualified. My first attempt turned out to be somewhat questionable so I checked other companies and read good reviews for AAG. I am so glad I did. The first company almost scared me off from going forward but once I encountered AAG and, in particular, Robert **, everything couldn't have been easier. Fast, reliable and HONEST. He made everything clear to me, guided me when I had questions and made the entire process remarkably easy. I highly recommend this company if you have any questions or uncertainty moving forward on a reverse mortgage.

Hi Joanne,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are glad to hear that all communication was handled without delay. We welcome you to contact our CARES Team at (866) 948-0003 so that we can work towards finding a resolution to any other matters.

-AAG

Original review: May 19, 2017

The whole process took longer than I expected. They seemed to ask me for documents, one at a time. Some I had to submit more than once. AAG has no representatives in the Seattle area therefore everything was done over the phone or via email. They did respond to emails and phone messages without delay. Overall, I guess it was an all right experience but it could have been better.

Hi William,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience on ConsumerAffairs. We are happy to hear that you received great customer service, and that we were able to address your questions. Enjoy your trip to Australia!

-AAG

Original review: May 16, 2017

The very best customer service on all levels. Always there for questions and answers. I am in Australia now visiting family, I could have only been able to do this because of the caring and swiftness of your team.

Reverse Mortgage: I learned so much and was very well informed by my advisor Sergio **... I knew very little about the procedure and learned it was more like an equity line of credit. Sergio and his staff were very efficient, followed through and answered all my questions.

Hello Lamar,

-AAG

Original review: May 15, 2017

Hello! I was in the process of obtaining information for a Reverse Mortgage with representative Sean **. Before making any decisions, I wanted to make sure I understand the process. I had several questions. The representative stated they could not do until I completed a financial assessment etc. In my opinion I do not need to do that at this time. I already know I qualify for an FHA Loan and reverse mortgage. I also do not want my credit check ran at this time due to I had a score of 825 and due to re-finance shopping it is now about 790. So until we get down to at least ballpark figures, I am not going to continue to have credit checks ran and then find out the company is not in the ballpark of offerings. Mr. ** became very angry and informed me that I did not know what I was talking about when it came to Reverse Mortgages when I explained what other lenders had informed me about reverse mortgages?

I did not disagree with Mr. ** since this is the reason, we are discussing. In my opinion it is Mr. ** job to explain the process in a professional and courteous manner. I informed Mr. ** that the home was a Manf. Home built in 1989. I already know the home qualifies for a Reverse Mortgage. Then Mr. ** then appeared to become very flustered and informed me that the home probably did not meet qualifications anyway. I stated if it did not qualify then they could not do a loan. He stated thanks for wasting his time and hung up. I would expect representatives of the American Advisors Group AAG to be professional in manner and courteous to clients. Mr. ** was neither professional or courteous and was very rude. Please review the recorded conversation tapes if recorded. I am sure Mr. ** does not represent AAG using this attitude and manner. (Maybe he was having a bad day but this is no excuse.) Thank you.

The entire transaction moved along very well with Felicia constant oversight. We scheduled our closing for 4/24 at 10am. On the 21st we received a call that EOM business was booming and we may be bumped but a supv would call over weekend. No call, no closing. Very irritating. Lawyer showed up next day but we were left hanging with no communication. Not the best way to close an otherwise outstanding transaction.

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your glowing review. We are happy to hear that your reverse mortgage loan has had such a positive impact on your financial stability and brought you peace of mind.

-AAG

Original review: May 8, 2017

I have the utmost praise for AAG and the professionalism that was displayed during the entire process, from the application to the closing! Our reverse mortgage has provided my wife and I with funds for emergencies and also a line of credit for the unforeseen in the future and not to mention the elimination of monthly mortgage payments (what a blessing that is). We would be remiss if we did not mention our reverse mortgage professional Ms. Synethia ** who handled all of our administrative requirements from start to finish with ease and professionalism. Many thanks goes to her and AAG for the peace of mind that my wife and I now share!!

I found my experience with AAG to be very enjoyable. This was due to my agent Debi **. She is a true professional and should be the ambassador for AAG. She left no question unanswered. She actually answered my questions, before I asked. She is truly concerned with each client and treats them like we are her ONLY client, when in fact she has many at one time she is dealing with. She made this process very pleasant and fast. I would recommend Debi to EVERYONE!!!

American Advisors Group (AAG) Company Profile