3.0/5 (113 ratings)

About Pier 1

Pier 1 is a retailer for furniture, rugs, curtains, dining and entertaining accessories, pillows, cushions, decor, lighting, candles, seasonal gifts and more. All purchases come with a 45-day return policy. Shop online or at local retail stores throughout the United States and Canada.

Pier 1 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pier 1?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pier 1?

Original review: April 17, 2022

My Elderly mother placed an order for a lamp, somehow entered a quantity of 3 vs 1. We contacted Pier 1’s customer service within minutes of submitting the order to correct the mistake. They stated it was too late. The order was already in process and there was nothing they could do. They would send return labels with the shipment so we could send 2 right back for a refund. The lamps arrived without the labels. We called and they had us generate them online. We returned the 2 lamps to receive confirmation of store credit. When I reached out to explain and ask for the refund we were expecting due to the mistake I was told ‘we don’t do refunds for any reason’. Buyer beware. Now we have a $300 credit to a store we have no interest in doing business with again.

Original review: March 7, 2022

It's been more than 2 months since I made my first purchase, which was a rug, and another smaller item. After 3 weeks I did not have any information about my purchase, then they tell me that they are having problems delivering that item, they cancel me and force me to continue buying in their store, they did not give me my refund to my credit card. And to finish I have canceled a couple more times, they never have the items I want but they still don't want to refund my money. This store has become the worst to buy, my advice: do not spend there because your product will not arrive or your money will not be returned and you will end up buying things you do not want or need.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

I ordered $100 worth of goods. After 2 weeks and NO updates, I called and asked status. The items were not shipped yet. I then asked to cancel my order and refund the purchase. They said they offered me a 150% store credit. I said "no" and asked for a refund. He said "I will have to escalate this and you will get a email". After another week and NO communication, I called back. Again they wanted me to take a 150% store credit. When I said no, refund my money, they AGAIN said they needed to escalate this.

After another day I called back and asked to speak to a supervisor. At first they said there was no supervisor, but after arguing with them they said they had no "live transfer capability". After more arguing, they said they COULD transfer me but needed my name and address first. I reminded them that they said they had no "live transfer", so how all of a sudden were they able to transfer me. They then hung up on me. Contacted my bank and put in a fraudulent charge claim. This is just a scam, there is NO merchandise and they just take your money. Everyone you talk to is named "Mark" also.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

I placed 3 orders, all confirmed. A week later I inquired about status, since there was no movement. I was advised that all my orders were out of stock, and Pier 1 offered a 150% store credit, which I refused. I read other reviews, and the only way to process a quick refund is to file a dispute with your credit card company, which I did, and my refund was provided within a few days.

Another week later, my husband received a tracking number for his same item and quantity, which he is gifting to a family member. I am frustrated how my husband placed his order 2 days after me, and received a tracking number, while I was told the item is out of stock for all 3 of my orders. Whether or not my husband's order will actually ship, since he has a tracking number is still a mystery. I am in disbelief, since my orders have all been cancelled and refunded, and I still continue to get emails that my order are still processing, after 3 weeks now. Pier 1 is not a legit company you can trust to do business with. They will frustrate the heck out of you.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

I purchased 2 Bar Stools $477 was charged to my credit card. It stated it was in stock & a FedEx number was created. It was never in stock, nothing was sent to FedEx. I emailed Pier1 customer service the following week & I was correct they didn’t have the items. I was sent a reply email stating that I could have a store credit & they would offered more $ for another purchase of something else. I declined and said I should of never been charged until the items actually shipped, just like every other company I’ve ordered from. Now the response is, it was sent to a different department & I should get a refund in 14-21 days. What?? They took my $ for a month. Scam be aware they show stock that isn’t there hoping you’ll buy something else with them.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

Be aware. With an order, you will be required to add an invisible subscription for $9.99. I kept seeing this on my card and simply thought it was a lingering part of my order of several items. Finally, after the third time (we are all busy, right?) I called. "Oh yes. You subscribed with your order in September." (Three months ago.) NO, I MOST CERTAINLY DID NOT. A subscription to PIER 1? Who subscribes to PIER 1? The products were substandard, however I kept them anyway to avoid the hassle and to keep the vendor in business. I always liked PIER 1. I WILL NEVER ORDER FROM THEM AGAIN. I have to go out of my way to find them. I will not order anything again.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I have never experience nothing like this since I have been ordering online. I ordered 1 room spray and 3 oil fragrances. Instead of them sending me 3 oil fragrances they sent me 3 outdoor carpets. I reached out to them for 2 weeks before UPS picked up the carpets. I spoke to several service rep over and over until I asked to speak with a manager which I never did. I did finally receive the room spray but never received the oil. I will Never order from this website again. Please be aware.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Like many others I should’ve read return policy. No refund, only store credit. What a scam. Overseas customer service rep was rude and didn’t care. I’ll use my store credit hopefully to purchase something of better quality then I will never shop Pier One again.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

They sent a message that they & manufact. were out. They want me to take store credit. I said, "No, send me my money back." Now looking at all these reviews, I most likely JUST GOT TOOK. I live on S.S.... Colleen.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I cancelled by the phone order online in 8 minutes and and they accept this but after they charged money from my bank account. They sad it was too late because product was shipped - in 8 minutes!! THey told me I will return and gave me wrong wrong number of shipment company. Instead of USPS I was contacted during 4 days to UPS by phone # they provided. They emailed me with statement that they can give me store credit!!. Unbelievable! Do not make a business with PIER 1 if you do not want to have problems. Poor customer service with bad management.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

Have been using mail order for the past 18 months due to Covid. Had good experiences and a few mistakes. One of the companies that made a mistake was very good at fixing it, but NOT PIER 1. Pier 1 could not survive in retail and they will not survive in mail order either. They are worse at mail order than they ever were in retail. I ordered and paid for a coffee table. It was about $400 and had no instructions and no hardware (bolts, screws, etc...) After asking me to take pictures of everything, which I did immediately despite the fact that they wanted a picture of what DIDN'T ARRIVE??? What a joke! Just a delay tactic. Spoke to 6 people in 4 days, and no one ever called back and still have not even sent the hardware and instructions. I have a table top and bottom sitting in my living room and they cannot even manage to mail me the instructions and hardware that SHOULD have been in the package.

No money back - no table - no return calls - no tracking number because they still didn't send the hardware. NOTHING has been done in 4 days except ,"I'm so sorry miss, please accept my apology miss, blah blah blah." They have the customer service people apologize over and over but DO NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO OWN THE PROBLEM AND FIX IT!!! Are they kidding me? The worst company I have ever had the displeasure of working with -- take my advice and don't make my mistake. Nothing is worth this aggravation as there are PLENTY of good mail order companies out there.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I ordered 4 dining chairs online totaling over $2,000. Once received (later than promised) they did not appear as pictured online and did not fit well in the space. I immediately replied to the email to the confirmation email to initiate the return process which got dragged out for days due to their slow response time. When they finally confirmed the return they sent me a link to their return policy which states they only give store credit and in select circumstances at that.

I called to speak with someone verbally and was told that they do not refund money for any purchases and would receive store credit and 20% of my purchase back in "cash". This is not something that is told to customers prior to purchase! When viewing items and clicking the "Add to Cart" feature there is nowhere where it states a return policy or provides a link. When checking out there is nowhere where it states the policy or provides a link. When you receive email confirmation there is nowhere where it states the policy or provides a link. Had they do so I would have canceled my order and not even taken the risk of receiving an unwanted item for $2,000. Then to give me store credit when I cannot go to any in person store and get a good look at another product in person because they are all closed is a slap in the face. I will NEVER shop at Pier 1 ever again and advise everyone else to avoid them at all costs.

Original review: June 29, 2021

Purchased 3 bar stools that stated they were leather. After 6 months the "leather" started to tear and realized this is not leather at all, but some cheap imitation leather. I addressed this with the store, they didn't do anything. I provided pictures and the original price tag (with description) to corporate office. After 3 months of going back and forth they decided they didn't want to refund my money, after showing proof. This retailer is over-priced for their false advertisement, cheap, phony materials, and very unprofessional in the way they handle disputes. I will not invest another dime in this store.

Original review: June 27, 2021

They did not insulate the box with appropriate packing material so bowls, mugs and plates were shattered and chipped when they arrived. It was impossible to get customer service to do right by me. They are unethical & expect the consumer to pay for their negligence. Heinous business practice.

Original review: June 20, 2021

Two pillows were purchased online and upon reception we decided to return them. There is no way to do this via a form on the Pier One website. You must call and ask for them to process the return. We were first told that the refund would be less shipping charges and we would have to verify FedEx delivery and request refund by phone once the items were delivered. When calling Pier One once the items were returned we were told that Pier One would only issue a store credit. Not covering shipping and on top of that requiring a follow-up via phone was bad enough. Then learning that they would only grant store credit was outrageous. We will never be purchasing from Pier One again and would no longer recommend doing business with this company.

Original review: April 29, 2021

I bought outdoor furniture for almost $1200 and the furniture came damaged with thousands of pieces to assemble with no clear instructions. I called customer service to return the item request a full refund. Customer service tells you 24-48 hours to resolve and no one calls back. After calling 5 times they want to offer me store credit! I don’t want store credit. I want my full refund! Now they say they will escalate and if the team approves it it will take 14 to 21 business days to receive my refund, can you believe it? It took them seconds to take my money! Don’t do business with them! Definitely not the Pier 1 that we are used to before closing all their stores down! Save yourself tears of frustration!!

Original review: April 9, 2021

I ordered 4 bar stools over a month ago. 2 shipped, never received the other 2. No notification and no refund. I have called 4 times this week to just now be told they are sold out and I will not receive the other 2. Now I have the hassle of returning these and starting a new search. This is exactly the 4th time this happened so I should have known better.

Original review: March 24, 2021

I ordered a floor lamp and wall mirror, totaling almost $400 from Pier 1. The lamp arrived first, damaged and missing hardware. I did all the leg work to return it. The mirror arrived a few days later in about 1000 pieces. You could hear all the broken glass when I picked up the box off my porch so FedEx knew they were delivering a broken package. I called Pier 1, sent them all the photos and now they want to issue me a gift card!! I don't want a GC, I want my money back. The items were damaged upon delivery. Poor customer service. I have no interest in ordering from them again. A GC is useless to me.

Original review: March 11, 2021

We cancelled an order within 5 minutes of placing the order. Pier1 sent out the order the next day. Their return policy - for orders cancelled within 15 minutes - only allows for store credit. In other words, they ignore the cancellation and shove it down your throat. This is not the Pier1 of pre-bankruptcy brick and mortar days. Retail Ecommerce Ventures, the investment firm that acquired the rights to Pier 1′s trademark name, intellectual property, data and various ecommerce-related assets. This outfit is a scam, avoid them at all costs.

Original review: March 8, 2021

I loved our Mentor, Ohio Pier One brick and mortar for the many wonderful years it was open near our home. How sad that it couldn't weather one short year, scale back somehow and keep its doors and its reputation for the most beautiful furnishings and home decor in tact. Their store was complete magic, an experience for the senses, heart and soul. Everything in it exquisite and gorgeously arranged and the sales team all angels. Whatever this new totally on-line Pier One is trying to be, it ain't Pier One and shouldn't carry the name. Shame on whoever. Wish I had my old lovely, gorgeous store back. Soooo sad!

Original review: March 8, 2021

I’m old enough to remember when Pier 1 came to Long Island in the early 1960s. It was always fun to shop there and whenever I went there I always picked up a few things that were sometimes fun and unique. They carried things you couldn’t find elsewhere. Prices were almost always low to moderate. Even in more recent years I would stop in once in a while and would always find something to buy.

Then they closed down most of their brick and mortars and have tried to concentrate on internet sales. It hasn’t worked. Rather than the original, interesting and sometimes novel stuff that used to be their signature, their internet offerings have seemed to be consistently bland and run of the mill. Additionally, much of their merchandise seems overpriced. Ah, for the old days. I don’t think Pier 1 will ever find a market niche with their current offerings of overpriced same old same old.

Original review: March 3, 2021

Zero stars. I suspect Pier1 is scamming people. First they charged me for an item that was not in stock and never even shipped. Now they are saying I can only get a refund as store credit. This is not a refund, say for an item I bought and changed my mind about, it is for something you never had in stock and never sent. I AM NOT PIER1'S BANK and I never agreed for them to take my money, not have the product, not ship the product then keep my money and offer me store credit!!!!! That is robbery, not refunds policy. It is illegal. Do not buy from them. They will take your money and then you will have store credit for yet more products they do not actually have but will take orders for. And so on and so on.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

So I ordered on the 1st and was set to be delivered on the 5th, a wk gone by and I let it past because of the weather condition in Texas (I'm from California and shipment came from Ohio). After 20 days I reached out to customer service via email, they said they will replace and I will get a new tracking number, well I got another email the next day with a link of the original tracking # that was supposed to be delivered the 5th. They even told me to call fed ex which I did, and since it was past 20 days they recommend me to call Pier 1 and ask for replacement/refund.

Called pier 1 cust service which took me 30 mins just to get it answered by an agent, another 30 mins to figure out what happened. I wanted a refund and they insisted they will del it in 5-7 days. I want to talk to supervisor/manager and they said they will call in an hour or so, but a day passed never got any call. I think what they're doing is a scam, what a bad experience. Worst customer service! Worst online store!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

Unless you are 100% certain that you will keep the decorative pillows, DO NOT purchase them from Pier1. I purchased $400 worth of decorative pillows and they will not accept returns on pillows. The returns policy states: Returns/exchanges are not accepted on pillows, comforter sets, or other bedding products. This alludes that decorative pillows are bedding items. You can not find decorative pillows under their "Bedding" tab. This is a completely unacceptable policy OR the policy needs to be written so that is it clear that all pillows are final sale. A store credit would have been fine, but to not return them at all is unacceptable. I will no longer shop at PIER1 after this horrible experience.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

Purchased 950.00 online in June 2020. I could never get a straight answer to the status of my order. To this day I'm out my money and still don't have my order. No one will return my emails or calls. They have literally stolen my money and there is nothing I can do about it. My bank tells me I waited too long to report it but Pier 1 customer service kept saying due to COVID-19 they were severely backed up. Now you can't talk to anyone. The new owners say they aren't responsible for any orders placed prior to September of 2020. How is this allowed to happen? Has anyone else had these issues? How is it that the new owners were able to keep the name but not the liability that goes with it. They are crooks and obviously took advantage of consumers, like dealing with COVID and job losses and furloughs wasn't enough. 950.00 is a lot of money!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

Zero customer service. Ordered a cabinet & need a larger one. Cancellation policy is "15min after purchase"...and they keep you on hold long enough to miss that window. Order hasn't even processed, but "cannot cancel". And "there's no managers, only supervisors & they're all busy, but we can schedule a callback in the next 48hrs". DO NOT USE PIER 1!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

Buyer Beware! I recently purchased a few home decor items for about $200 from the online store. The products I received were extremely poor quality (not consistent with my previous in store experiences) so I decided to return them. I quickly learned about their scam - according to their website, you have to contact their customer service line to initiate the return process. Surprisingly, it doesn’t work. It then took 6 emails to receive a response before I received a return label to ship my items back.

I’ve now been engaged in this return process for a month and have yet to receive a refund. I’ve determined that I may have to write this one off as the cost of taking legal action far outweighs my purchase/refund amount. However, I’m going to do my best to warn as many people as possible to refrain from shopping/supporting this retailer.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

I purchased a living room table on December 9, 2020. Tobacco Finish Hardwood Coffee Table for $ 798.95. Ten days passed and they did not send me any information regarding the shipment, I decided to cancel the order and it was not possible. They tell me that I can no longer cancel it... and many more excuses for not returning the money. Be careful when you buy in this store because its current policy is very unfavorable to consumers. I have been trying for several days to get this case resolved and I have not received a serious response.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I purchased a Christmas Ornament and received it totally damaged. After 3 emails and 4 phone calls it has yet to be resolved. No refund and no replacement. NOTHING!!! Yesterday I received an email that told me TV trays I had ordered at the same time were refunded to my account. No explanation! I called AGAIN, this time I was told the vendor could not supply. Really??? I have been a loyal customer of Pier 1 for many years. Since they have gone online, they are worthless and extremely hard to get anywhere with. I will never order anything again from this new online company. Bye Bye.... Buyers....please beware before you purchase anything.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I ordered an item online on November 26. Item sat in the status of “not yet shipped” for two weeks. I emailed customer service twice and received no response. I finally left feedback on Facebook which prompted customer service to finally respond. They are claiming the item is out of stock and they have no idea when it will be back. It would have been nice to hear this 3 WEEKS ago when I ordered it as it was a Christmas gift. If I hadn’t complained, I guess they just would have kept my money. Very shady. Horrible customer service. Don’t fall for it like I did.

Pier 1 Company Information