3.1/5 (857 ratings)

About Pier 1

Pier 1 is a retailer for furniture, rugs, curtains, dining and entertaining accessories, pillows, cushions, decor, lighting, candles, seasonal gifts and more. All purchases come with a 45-day return policy. Shop online or at local retail stores throughout the United States and Canada.

Pier 1 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pier 1?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

Purchased 950.00 online in June 2020. I could never get a straight answer to the status of my order. To this day I'm out my money and still don't have my order. No one will return my emails or calls. They have literally stolen my money and there is nothing I can do about it. My bank tells me I waited too long to report it but Pier 1 customer service kept saying due to COVID-19 they were severely backed up. Now you can't talk to anyone. The new owners say they aren't responsible for any orders placed prior to September of 2020. How is this allowed to happen? Has anyone else had these issues? How is it that the new owners were able to keep the name but not the liability that goes with it. They are crooks and obviously took advantage of consumers, like dealing with COVID and job losses and furloughs wasn't enough. 950.00 is a lot of money!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

Zero customer service. Ordered a cabinet & need a larger one. Cancellation policy is "15min after purchase"...and they keep you on hold long enough to miss that window. Order hasn't even processed, but "cannot cancel". And "there's no managers, only supervisors & they're all busy, but we can schedule a callback in the next 48hrs". DO NOT USE PIER 1!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

Buyer Beware! I recently purchased a few home decor items for about $200 from the online store. The products I received were extremely poor quality (not consistent with my previous in store experiences) so I decided to return them. I quickly learned about their scam - according to their website, you have to contact their customer service line to initiate the return process. Surprisingly, it doesn’t work. It then took 6 emails to receive a response before I received a return label to ship my items back.

I’ve now been engaged in this return process for a month and have yet to receive a refund. I’ve determined that I may have to write this one off as the cost of taking legal action far outweighs my purchase/refund amount. However, I’m going to do my best to warn as many people as possible to refrain from shopping/supporting this retailer.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

I purchased a living room table on December 9, 2020. Tobacco Finish Hardwood Coffee Table for $ 798.95. Ten days passed and they did not send me any information regarding the shipment, I decided to cancel the order and it was not possible. They tell me that I can no longer cancel it... and many more excuses for not returning the money. Be careful when you buy in this store because its current policy is very unfavorable to consumers. I have been trying for several days to get this case resolved and I have not received a serious response.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I purchased a Christmas Ornament and received it totally damaged. After 3 emails and 4 phone calls it has yet to be resolved. No refund and no replacement. NOTHING!!! Yesterday I received an email that told me TV trays I had ordered at the same time were refunded to my account. No explanation! I called AGAIN, this time I was told the vendor could not supply. Really??? I have been a loyal customer of Pier 1 for many years. Since they have gone online, they are worthless and extremely hard to get anywhere with. I will never order anything again from this new online company. Bye Bye.... Buyers....please beware before you purchase anything.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I ordered an item online on November 26. Item sat in the status of “not yet shipped” for two weeks. I emailed customer service twice and received no response. I finally left feedback on Facebook which prompted customer service to finally respond. They are claiming the item is out of stock and they have no idea when it will be back. It would have been nice to hear this 3 WEEKS ago when I ordered it as it was a Christmas gift. If I hadn’t complained, I guess they just would have kept my money. Very shady. Horrible customer service. Don’t fall for it like I did.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

This WAS my favorite store until they were bought out by the same people who own Dress Barn!! It's not even close to the same store!! So disappointed in the new products and the prices. The real Pier 1 had the BEST sales. This new Pier 1 you can see the quality of their product line isn't even close to what it used to be. Half the inventory is out of stock. They shouldn't have been allowed to keep the name because it's just not the same place anymore. I know it's just a store but but this was my go to place for gifts and I've bought quite a few items for my own home, furniture included. I won't buy from them the way they are now. It's a real bummer what's happened to it :( I'm sure the former/original owner & CEO are cringing right now!!! I know I am!!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Ordered from Pier 1 online several weeks ago and haven’t heard from them since! No shipping alerts, nothing! Went on Pier 1 site to check status, all I get is “Coming Soon”. Called them this morning all I get is obnoxious loud music. Left call back # and that was 4 hours ago. As of today looks like they have stole $30.85 from my account and ran with it.. Warning to all, do not order from Pier 1!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

Bought a white round pedestal table in May. In August we found woodworms making flight holes on one side and active infestation with powdery dust every morning on the chair. No recourse from the company. Buyer beware. Do not buy anything else from this company as they are not honoring merchandise and selling crap. We threw out the table immediately and forfeited 359.00 dollars.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I got a gift that I did return because it was not for me, but since I didn’t found the receipts I went and returned it and they give me a card, now because of the store closing they said at the store at the forum at San Antonio, that is no longer reimbursement and I lose my money, how can be possible that with all that is going on now they said that.. That is the reason that the store is closing, because practically they stole my money. What a bad place to buy. Of course I am not the only one. Shame on the owner of this company.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I can not get a human who knows what they are talking about and can't answer my question about where the balance of a gift card can still be used. They SUPPOSEDLY allow you to use it in stores where they have not been reopened for more than 30 days BUT NO ONE can tell me where those locations might be. I have called numerous time only to be placed on hold for close to an hour and then cut off, like dozens of others have reported. This is shameful and whoever is behind this company ought to be banned from any future consumer business. They now owe me the phone charges in addition to the balance on the card!! I think a CLASS ACTION suit is in order given all the complaints I have read about people being ripped off especially at this challenging financial time for everyone. Where are you big law firm??

Original review: July 19, 2020

I visited Pier 1 on 6/27/2020 to make a purchase with a Pier 1 gift card. The item I wanted to purchase was out of stock. The sales representative stated new items was coming the following week, and the store will be adding to their inventory. The representative recommended I come back the following week. I asked the representative, "Will I still have the ability to use my Pier 1 gift card," she stated, "Yes, until the store finally closes." Due to the pandemic I had to be quarantine for 14 days because someone at my employer had tested positive for the virus. So, finally I visited the store on 7/14/2020 and was told I can no longer used my Pier 1 gift card that I received for a birthday gift as of 7/12/2020. I explained the unfortunate situation and was told it was nothing they or I could do.

My gift card have over $50 which I can no longer can utilize. This is horrible customer services. I have been a loyal client to Pier 1 for over 10 years, and this is the treatment I received. This is unjust! Allow me to use my gift card or provide me the money for my the gift card. How can you not honored the gift cards, when the stores have been closed since March and just reopened in May/June. We are in a midst of pandemic and there is so much uncertainty. The last problem we need is Pier 1 not honoring gift cards that was purchased from their store. This company is taking advantage of the public due to the pandemic and the liquidation. Absurd the treatment we are receiving with this overpriced store.

Original review: July 18, 2020

I understand they are going out of business but that’s no excuse to take advantage of customers and rip them off. I ordered 6 dining room chairs and only received 3. Can’t get in touch with anyone in customer service who gives a damn! This is crazy.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I understand the frustration with ending a business but to spend several hours in a system to be kicked out multiple times with no other way to reach the company is robbery, literally. I received an empty box! A large one at that. I wanted my last Pier 1 order to be memorable. Certainly is. The fact you have no way to contact them is disheartening at best.

Original review: June 16, 2020

Why isn’t there an option to give less then one star? They don’t deserve even the 1. I never write reviews, but with the lack of control I’ve had over this experience I felt it necessary to warn the public. I ordered two things one month ago to go in my nursery. I am now almost 9 months pregnant and not only haven’t received the items, one month after purchase- they charged my card. I don’t understand. I tried every avenue possible to cancel my order. Phone, chat, email. Nothing. So now they have charged me- but I haven’t heard from them in a month- just the cop out ‘due to covid 19’ crap they’re trying to play instead of just saying they’re scamming people.

I have spent the last three months in my house- I have EXCLUSIVELY online shopped for everything my baby will need- and gotten everything in a timely manner. Except these two items. One of them is an ottoman that I plan to use with a glider I purchased and received already. My feet do not hit the ground because I am short. Now my mother is fixing up my deceased grandmother's ottoman to give me since I won’t have the one I paid for in time for the baby. I know this is all trivial- and I don’t NEED THIS. But- the fact is- if you’re taking people’s orders and their money, during an extremely difficult time, you should also be providing customer service of some sort. Shame on Pier 1. They’ve been around for a while, never had an opinion of them, until now. ** company. You won’t be missed, close down your online store and stop scamming people already. The going out of business sale is lame anyway.

Original review: June 3, 2020

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING HERE. I bought items before they announced they were closing - they are sending out the wrong merch, not answering phones, and kicking you off of chats. There is literally no way to reach them. They sent me something that I did not order, and not the actual stuff that I did! And, the value of what I received was substantially less than what I ordered, so they need to return this, or provide a refund. It is bad folks, no deal is worth this - and getting ripped off on top of it does not help!

Original review: June 2, 2020

I've ordered my dining room table from Pier 1 two weeks ago and I have not received it as of yet. I tried calling Pier 1 customer service just to get hung up on several times and I've also tried using their chat line just to be disconnected from the chat after holding for over 45 minutes for a live agent. Disappointed customer.

Original review: May 29, 2020

Ordered a desk three weeks ago and still have not received it. Said it would take 7 to 14 days when I ordered it. Try to get in contact with someone from Pier One and I was waiting for more than one hour to talk to someone online. They told me it would take another 14 to 21 days. Then disconnected with me.

Original review: May 29, 2020

I ordered outdoor seat cushions shortly before they announced going out of business. Had I known this information I never would have ordered from them. Since the day I made the on line purchase my order says "processing". It's been a month. No communication from them whatsoever and when I called their customer support line this morning their end hung up on me when I chose to wait on the line. I have contacted my credit card to dispute the charge for my items. And shame on them for blaming Covid-19 for their slow responses. They're using that as a cop out to very poor business management.

Original review: May 28, 2020

Was charged $169 for shipping on 2 pillows. I tried calling customer service which was busy, tried 27 times before getting through w/ a wait time of 4 hrs. Finally speak w/ someone. She apologized stating it something about the warehouse and they could offer a $70 refund towards shipping or cancel my order, I ask to cancel. She said no problem and I’ll receive a confirmation email. Then 6 hrs later I receive a voicemail saying all sales are final, I’m not getting refunded. Of course I try to call back and they are closed. I call next morning, same issue getting through, finally do and there’s another 4 hr wait.

Original review: May 24, 2020

I know the store is going out of business, but the way they are handling the situation is completely unacceptable!!! I ordered an outdoor set and upon receiving it discovered it's the wrong color and missing cushions. I have been calling all of the numbers they have published for customer service only to get hung up on repeatedly! The stores don't answer their phones, just a constant busy signal. At this point I don't want the product. I just want to return it but can't get in touch with anyone to get a return label. 3 huge boxes won't fit in my truck otherwise I stand in the 3 hour long line that it takes to visit the store. SO DISGUSTED!!!!

Original review: May 15, 2020

I placed an order online and UPS tracking shows it damaged and will be returned to PIER 1. Still shows to be at UPS 3 days later. Sent two emails with no response. Sent a text per instructions on their site. Message back "not accepting texts". Tried calling 2 hour wait. Calling now, 4 hour wait. Been holding for 32 minutes. No one has picked up. Just want my order reshipped. Would give them Zero Stars if an option.

Original review: April 23, 2020

As a former part-time team member, I am appalled at Pier 1's inability to provide high quality customer service with online orders. After receiving an email vaguely informing me that my order is delayed, there is no wonder why you are bankrupt! Why continue to take online orders when they do not have the wherewithal to process them in a reasonable amount of time? Be honest with the consumers. Stop taking orders. You are not helping!

Original review: April 20, 2020

Ordered an outdoor seat bottom cushion with two matching back ones. Pier 1 canceled the two back ones. I tried calling and online chat for over an hour and got no response. I emailed to cancel seat bottom one as no use without back cushions. They charged me anyway and have not received a shipment.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I can see why this company is going out of business. Today is week 3 since I have sent my returns back to Pier 1 via UPS and still no credit...I call and chat online and get the same old response...Please wait an additional 14 days.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

For a company that is overpriced one would think their level of service would cater to their clientele. Unfortunately nothing could be further from the truth. You buy something and they tack on a mandatory $169 delivery fee. Who does that? Who the hell do they think they are? Then they can't even deliver everything. No, you have to go to their store to pick up the pieces that they can't deliver? Then, even though you're already overpaying for the items, you get a record delivery phone call and have to sit through their recording over 3 min to schedule your delivery, 2 weeks after you ordered. And, yet they billed your card right away.

Now, should you want to cancel and not pay the $169 they cancel everything and the items can't be repurchased on the sale price. Of course the company could do these simple things to stay in business and have happy customers but obviously they don't give a damn. This company deserves to go out of business. How they could possibly have been successful this long us beyond me!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I purchased a full set of cooking utensils. They were "copper" and VERY expensive. Unfortunately, after one use many of my "copper" utensils began to chip and these utensils are simply basic metal with thin copper coating. Many utensils of this sort are similar, but I'd expect this copper coating to hold up to cooking elements. Basic expectations. I take great care of my, what is perceived to be, high-quality products at home... But this DEFINITELY disappoints.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Purchased two “grey” dining chairs for my dining room table online. Color stated grey & the picture showed exactly a nice light grey color just exactly what I needed so it matches my other couch I have. Finally arrived. Not light grey, like on the picture, not dark grey, but a dark blue denim color! That blew me off. I paid $18 for shipping! Went to return that exact same day of receiving them expecting to get full refund for faulty item but no. They weren’t apologetic. In fact customer service lady and young gal didn’t even know how to do a proper return! Took 10 minutes to get everything returned. Called customer service to see what they can do about this & a young gentleman who apparently denied to try or offer anything for the $18 I just had gave away for free (not even my fault for selling an item that’s not as described”) I was a new customer who wanted to love this store. Sadly lost a good customer who was willing to buy more.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

There is something clearly wrong with this company. 1800 number to the US and yet you do not accept Canadian ONLINE PURCHASES? I will go one step further.. The prices for products are ridiculous and yet I am responsible for delivery? NO THANK YOU TEXAS PIER ONE.. YOUR SERVICE STINKS. YOUR PRICES IN CANADA ARE RIDICULOUS!! I bought my velvet headboard at Amazon.ca.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I purchased two chairs (the Colette chairs) from Pier 1 around September 2016. I paid $500 per chair. The chairs were a beautiful light blue color, and at first I was very pleased with my purchase. I am well-known to be a bit particular about how I keep my house. I have visitors remove their shoes before entering, keep my nice furniture covered with white sheets while away for extended times, and do not place nice furniture in direct sunlight or under artificial lights that might cause fading on less expensive fabrics (e.g., Pier 1 type fabrics).

I also do not have children, nor have many children over, and have only one small dog that is not allowed on the furniture. However, by September of 2019, just three years after my purchase, the chairs are discolored, splotchy looking, and just warn looking. I am thinking that I should have just spend a little more money to purchase chairs from a place like Restoration Hardware that makes higher quality pieces. I purchased from a store (Pier 1) that had more affordable yet nice looking furniture thinking it may not be quite as nice, but should hold up considering my lifestyle. I have contacted Pier 1's customer service, even elevating my concerns to the manager of customer service, and each of their responses has been insulting.

They told me that a chair sitting under indoor lights can cause fading. I have never heard of this before, perhaps if a chair sits directly under some harsh abnormally strong light it could cause fading of cheaper fabric? I have had other higher quality furniture (e.g., Mitchell Gold and Bob Williams) that has maintained color and quality for 10 years now, looking as fresh and crisp as the day I purchased it. Pier 1's excuses are unacceptable.

I asked simply to exchange the chairs rather than ask for a full refund. Knowing the fading might happen again, but at least I would get another couple years of the chairs I liked so much. The style is very fitting for my house, and I haven't found another style that is similar enough. They should exchange my chairs and apologize for the low quality and poor customer service. I will never purchase interior furniture from Pier 1 again. Perhaps an outdoor pillow or bistro table if I find them during a big sale, but Pier 1 has lost me as an interior furniture customer. The quality is so low, I am better off spending a little more for something that has a worthwhile lifespan.

Pier 1 Company Information