1.24/5
Based on 168 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

181 Pier 1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I opened an account with Pier 1 to get the discount. I made all of my payments on time - in fact I paid it in full every month. They were incorrectly applying the payments to an old account though and didn't notice it. Their own fault since they don't print the whole account number ANYWHERE so that you can properly pay your bill, or sign up online to pay. Well, the calls from them started at 30 days late and even though I insisted I had paid, they didn't believe it until I said I had the cancelled checks. THEN getting it straightened out took forever (SO MUCH OF MY TIME) and they had already put a black mark for collections on my credit report, inhibiting me from getting a mortgage.

I had to spend time disputing it with every credit bureau. Also I had to insist that they refund me the incorrectly applied late charges and interest - they weren't going to! They are a nightmare and I will never, ever do anything with Pier 1, Pottery Barn etc if it involves dealing with Comenity. They called me at all hours of the day and night too! The pain involved was sooo not worth the discount I got.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

First, I purchased the chair online to have delivered to store. 2 days after purchase, I called to see if it was there and they said, it doesn't work that way, I have to come into the store and order on their computer. And they had already canceled the order (neglected to tell me the day they did). So, I went to the store and ordered the chair on the store computer. Said it would be in store January 5, and I would be emailed when in. Today I called the store, Jan 7 to see if it made it there. I was told they had canceled the order, yet they had charged my card. The chair is back ordered for 3 weeks, but they could not guarantee I would get any of the ones on back order. OK! This isn't the first time I have had issues with Pier 1. BYE BYE PIER 1. YOU HAVE LOST ANOTHER CUSTOMER.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Purchased a Marbleized Floor Vase item 3281423 today without price. Was charged $129.95 plus tax $137.75. When I got home and was cleaning it, the price tag fell out showing $99.59. Immediately went back to the store in Pompano Beach, FL. The manager told sales girl to return and sell at proper price and made herself scarce. No apology whatsoever. I paid with tax $105.57. Online it shows item at $129.95 and 25% off! Considering their own tag shows $99.59 that means you get a discount on a marked up price!!!

Buyer Beware! Shop elsewhere! Also, on original overpriced charge I was asked my first and last name, tel number, email, if I want ads for discounts (ha), if I want their credit card and if I want to donate to a cause. The entire experience in first purchase was long and painful. And going back and it was a rudiculous waste of time. I will never go there again. You shouldn’t either! There are much better places that will appreciate your business without ripping you off! I find it just as appalling that they really could care less about your business or how they conduct theirs!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Walked in store and bell went off and no response or welcome from employees. 30 seconds later a couple walked in and employees greeted. I happily will not visit the store again. Plenty of other places to spend my hard earned money.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I bought two large lanterns for my niece and nephew for Christmas. One was damaged. Glass was broken. Called and was told that a replacement would be shipped ASAP. It is now a week before Christmas. I called back and was told it never shipped. I requested expedited shipping however was told that was not possible. Really? How sad. I don’t understand how something like this is acceptable. Your mistake. Make it right. Now I am stuck running around 6 days before Christmas to get something else. Blows my mind, when other companies bend over backwards trying to rectify a situation. You can be sure they will never get my business again. And I will be happy to tell everyone I know about their shoddy service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pier 1?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I walk with a cane and have chronic hip pain. Waited patiently for another elderly customer in front of me who kept needing more things at register. Cashier was pleasant and helpful to her; I did not mind waiting but moved to the counter near her because my hip was beginning to slip -- I needed support. There was one woman behind me and store was almost empty. After watching us for a few minutes while just standing behind counter, a different person from the cashier (maybe a supervisor?) said, not pleasantly, "Are you supposed to be in line? Because it needs to be behind her." I moved, said "I am sorry, I needed to support myself." She looked at me coldly, turned and walked away.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I received a box full of shattered glass and dented broken candles. The candles were not wrapped properly - shattered glass everywhere. I called and spoke to a, lass who said she would appear shop the products back to me and credit 23.00 for the 2 that were out of stock. I did see the credit but WHERE'S MY ORDER? These were gifts. I submitted pictures and lodged a formal complaint with this company. It seems I've been trying for days to reach them and get an automated response to leave a text or voicemail. Anything to avoid a customer's wrath. Well, if my order doesn't get here soon corporate will receive the box of what I got on their doorstep. Fair is fair. I will also contact BBB for my money back. I don't even see the speedship on my order under my Acct but I see the credit. A huge problem because these were gifts and my money went down the drain.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I ordered 2 items, the first was delivered without incident. I tracked the 2nd item and found that it was delivered back to sender in Texas. I dug a little more into the tracking details and found that it said my delivery was refused. I live in an apartment complex where packages are left in the lobby. I was never contacted about refusing this shipment, it was sent back with no notice to me.

A week later, I have not been refunded the money, I have tried contacting the company multiple times to figure out what happened and try to get my delivery sent back. Sent an email and received no response, tried the text message option and got a response saying "we are unable to respond to your request at this time", phone where I have waited on hold on 2 separate phone calls for a total of 45 minutes) and cannot get any answers or help. I'm finally trying the live chat option and am currently 7th in line for someone to help me. It is incredibly frustrating to contact this company.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

After a week of pending an online order, I finally check on it and am told it was canceled. After waiting 40 minutes to contact customer service I am told they do not have the item in stock (does not show out of stock online over a week later). Made no attempt to make it right. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Ordered 2 items online that never arrived. Was told 3-5 days, called and was told they couldn’t do anything until 7 days. 7 days passed still no items and the UPS tracking has been sitting on ‘created label’ since day 1. UPS said they never ordered a pickup. I told Pier 1 this and they said they can’t cancel the order until another week and they couldn’t see what was going on. Ridiculous. All of my other stores purchased from had simple tracking and arrived as stated. Never shopping here again and I want my $320 refunded.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I ordered two pillows online a week ago. Today I receive an email saying my order was canceled without explanation. I called the number provided and was on hold for 15 minutes only to be disconnected. I tried live chat. It was unavailable. I emailed. I text. No response. Tried live chat again. After a 6 minute hold I got through only to find out that customer service had no idea. They told me to call my local store. I asked why I would do this when the order had been canceled. The pillows obviously came from somewhere else. They said, "No, the pillows were sent to the store." I called the store and was told that they had no idea why my order was canceled but they never received them from the distribution center. So I have NO EXPLANATION and I have lost a lot of time on this matter.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Went into store was ready to purchase numerous ornaments. When cashier rang up not all received discount. When asked she said the picks are not included. When I showed here they were listed on the website as an ornament and the sale states all ornaments 50% off. She said It did not ring up it’s not on sale. Floor manager said it’s not included. False advertising, absolutely no customer service. This is the Palm Beach Gardens store.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Outdoor Chaise Lounge set advertised as coming with cushions and with free shipping. When ordering online, found that "free" shipping wasn't really free shipping - that they added a $100+ "shipping surcharge" due to the weight of the item. Contacted store who told us that "Pier 1 is a different company entirely than Pier1.com so we can waive all shipping if you order from us." (We placed order). Order arrives without the cushions. Call the 1-800 customer service number and, after a 32 minute hold time, was told that "Sorry we are out of the cushions but we are authorized to offer you a 10% credit instead."

Pointed out that they're still offering the same set - with cushions - on their website and was told, again, "I'm sorry but we're out of the cushions but we are authorized to offer you a 10% credit instead." Asked specifically why they would still be selling it and, again, was told the exact same words as the previous two times... Gave up and said I'd call the store. Spoke with Store Manager who, again, told us that Pier 1 was an entirely different company than Pier1.com and that this situation isn't unusual, that it's reported up the line regularly but that nothing changes.

Offered to "Try to get the cushions" but recommended that we take a larger discount on the set and wait a few months until the stores are stocked with the outdoor cushions again and come buy them directly. We accepted a $100 discount (the cost of the original set without cushions). Asked how they would still be offering the same set online and was told "Yeah, all of them will be delivered without cushions. It doesn't make any sense to me either." Never - ever - again will we "ever" purchase anything from Pier 1 unless we can walk out the store with it in hand (and that's pretty doubtful).

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I recently purchased a double papasan chair and cushion, and the cushion was ordered in store by customer service to be delivered to my home. The cushion came a week later and was the completely wrong size and color. I returned it in store and they ordered it again for me without any explanation on how the order I made was not deliberated correctly. After they placed the order the second time, 3 days later I got an email that my second order had been canceled. I called to see why and customer relations, although the guy was very nice, told me that the warehouse didn’t have any more of the cushions.

He said he could replace the order to come from a different warehouse. I don’t understand how they couldn’t have just kept the order and sent it from a different warehouse, versus canceling my order and making me go through the entire process of ordering it for a third time. To say the least, I am very frustrated with my experience and it makes never want to order from them again.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I received a bill on the mail and as soon as I received, I sent a check to pay the bill. I sent 5 days before the due date and they are charging a $27 of late fee. On the top of that, they were sending the bill to my old address and I just found out they are trying to charge for a late fee recently. What a terrible store. I will NEVER EVER buy absolutely anything there.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

So the instructions that come with the shelf aren't detailed nor in sequence, step by step of how to put the shelf together and which part goes first. The main 'bolts' used to screw the shelf together can't be used by a cross tip nor a flat tip screwdriver. You have to use a small 'Allen key' to screw these 2 1/2 inch nails into wood (If you don't have a drill). With all the labor needed to go into this shelf, it wasn't even worth the $79-$80 sale price with free shipping, and the 20% off for my birthday month.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

For years I contemplated going to Pier 1 to check out all of their beautiful wares, imagining they are expensive. I would drive by, and fight my impulse. Finally I gave in. I browsed for quite a while, admiring all the pretty things then seeing how expensive they are I left. This third time, today, I saw some advertisement online for a black cat soap decanter so I went to the store and browsed among the beautiful treasures and found the cat soap decanter, cat-on-a-pumpkin, and pumpkin cat mug to see they are at good prices! But, right as I picked up the cat decanter, a lady came over and said: "Are you buying that?" and immediately took it from me and placed it behind the counter. Next I contemplated the witch pumpkin soap decanter, she came back over and snatched that from me as well.

I had not even decided I was purchasing it yet! She had me so nervous I nearly dropped the sweet cat-on-a-pumpkin plant holder as I was placing it back on the shelf. Then I continued browsing and heard her say to her associate something of the essence: "She's not done yet..." The lady made me feel uncomfortable, like I am some sort of shoplifter! Later, she rang up my black cat soap decanter, cat-on-a-pumpkin, and matching pumpkin cat mugs, when I asked for a $10 discount flyer she said she put it in my bag, in the same short sort of snappy, dismissing way she had waited on me my entire visit. Well, I imagine, three times is NOT always a charm. And I am not sure if I will go to that Poughkeepsie store again!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have had my account for over 3 years. Never late on a payment. They went in and dropped my credit limit with no warning at all. I called and they said it was because they do credit monitoring and saw my score had dropped. Nothing late on my credit my score dropped. I had applied for college loans with my son and had my credit pulled. Closing this account and never shopping here again. That is not how you treat your paying customers.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I purchased Pier 1 3 wick candles for the first and last time??! These candles are the worst candles I have ever purchased. You light them and they constantly go off. They don’t burn probably and are a giant waste of money. This was my first and last time buying from Pier 1. Terrible product.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

On the 20th of May I went to the store located in 4061 Meridian St Bellingham, Washington 98226. That day I was offered a Credit Card, I informed that I was a Canadian Citizen and the sales rep told me that that was not a problem. I was told that I could pay my credit card online or even in a Pier 1 store in Canada. The first problem after that is that the person who got my info didn't know how to fill the address and they use my apartment number as the number of the building therefore I never got the statement and the credit card.

After a month I call to inquire about the lack of statement and card so I can pay. They realized that the address was actually wrong and they send it again. Just yesterday I got the card and the statement. I registered online and found out my account number didn't work. I call the number on the card and I got the worst customer service, they treated me like I haven't pay and asking for payment, I explained the situation and after talking with the supervisor he said, "I don't care what the sales rep said they are not the bank and you only can pay with USA account or USA money."

One more time. People lying about facts and affecting people. Now I have to drive 2 hours to cross the border and pay in USA cash. Also Now I have to pay the late fees that now are 70 dollars. As you can imagine I don't want to know anything about your store in USA and In Canada, also I'm going to file a report with BBB so people are more aware. It is really lack of ethics knowing that Canadian citizen can't pay from Canada and still process the card.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Purchased 2 Isaac chairs about 2-3 years ago. They are in a living room and are more decorative vs. daily seating. The leather started flaking off. I went to the store where I bought them and showed the manager. She was very nice and checked to see if there were any recalls or other issues with the leather. When she found nothing, she told me to contact the corporate office. I called and emailed pictures of the chairs. They said they saw "nothing wrong with the chairs" and would send me a coupon for 10-20% off of new chairs. Pier 1 quality is not what it used to be. For future buyers, know that these chairs have a lifespan of 2-3 years.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Ordered two tufted bench cushions. Got two plain 18 inch pillows. I was told to mail back pillows and then they would return my money. A random situation of my credit card. I shop online for ease. Don’t think I should have to do anything but receive my order. No exceptions on their end. I would have to print off a label and ship back or drive to the store. I did not want a grab bag order and now all the fixing is on my end. Dissatisfied, and will not online shop there again. Waiting on refund. Hope it happens but no confidence. After 1 hr phone trauma they said I can take a shot of the pillows and then receive my refund. I’m going to try this.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Advertisement to submit text message for coupon of $10 off $50 purchase for regular and sale items only to find out that since the sale was buy one get one at 50% off that this was not a sale but a promotion. Will never shop there again!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I ordered a decorative throw and the color looked different than it was online. So I wanted to return it, but then learn that you have to call a number to get them to send you a return shipping label, at which point they charge an $11 fee. Fyi - this information is not on the packing slip or anything - you have to call (and be put on hold) to get this info. Returning to the store is free - however I don't live that close to a store and that's inconvenient. Anyway, I'm never ordering from them again because of the inconvenience. Most online places now know that you have to make it easy to return to lower the barrier to buy... People don't want to have to call and be put on hold just to return something. Pier 1 is stuck in the 1990's.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I wished I would have read these reviews before ordering the mosaic floor lamp. The contact takes my order and today I receive just the lamp shade, so I call to ask why the floor lamp did not come with it only to find out the floor lamp is no longer available. $313.00 for a lampshade, ddduuuhhh! What planet is this company from, Uranus??? I didn’t even think Pier 1 was still in business. Now I have to take pictures and send to Pier 1 to return the lamp shade. How dare they charge my card without fulfilling the full order. Shameful!!!

Original review: April 18, 2018

There is no need to say much. If you got the wrong item, nobody is going to help. You have to wait at least 30 min in the line to speak with a representative. That person is going to transfer you to another department, and there’s no one to answer your call. I’m closing my account already. You guys need a serious work on your customer service.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Opened a credit card last year given a $500.00 limit, purchased a few things, paid the card off on time and quickly, didn't use the card for almost a year. Went into the store attempted to purchase $50.00 worth of items... And got stopped. EVIDENTLY Pier 1 inactivated my card??? Then wanted to RERUN my credit??? SO this is what I get for using their card and NOT having any NEGATIVE problems with my account? ** PIER 1... I will never purchase anything again... And why I don't purchase on the regular is THEY ARE TOO EXPENSIVE. I doubt this store will be in business for long... They just can't compete.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Do not buy things here, do not GET THEIR STORE CARD... please, you have been warned! They called me three times a day while I was trying to get the account current. They also, hired someone who during Christmas called; one of their people and I gave them a payment over the phone, (the payment never showed up in my Bank Account or on their account sheet. I think they have thieves in their company)! Also, their stuff falls apart fast!!!

Resolution response: Feb. 24, 2018

Well, I find it hard to believe after the numerous calls to Pier 1 to refund my credit card for the defective dishware. (Refer to my complaint written on 2/20/18 for details). After a few more phone calls of frustration I finally connected with a representative who was more than willing to refund my credit card. He got an approval from his team lead and then advised me to return the merchandise to the local store. I asked him to call the local store manager on my behalf to make them aware of my visit and my request for refund, not store credit. Although it took another 1.5 hours of my time I am satisfied with the end result. The local manager, Maya, was thorough, patient and careful every step of the way. Thank you Pier 1!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I have called Pier One 8 times about refunding me for dishware that is chipping possibly due to dishwashing. They asked me to send photos. I spent an hour putting together a PowerPoint with detailed pics showing defects. After five email attempts, including a trip to my office to scan it under 5 mb, they claim they haven't received it yet. The latest phone rep advised me to send photos instead of the PPT. She also mentioned I could return them to the store.

I said I wanted a refund on my credit card and was told by another Pier 1 phone rep that the store would only give me store credit. The new phone rep said this wouldn't be the case since it is a "Merchandise Quality" issue. Baloney. I called the local store and the salesclerk told me I would only be eligible for a store credit since it was over 45 days. So now I have to wait for a review (7-10) days and then wait for a return shipping label. And then wait for a decision on refund vs. store credit. This is beyond crazy. I will never shop at Pier 1 again.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I shop a fair amount at Pier 1 and received a $200 & $30 earned reward coupons. I was unable to use them due to work obligations. I contacted the Customer Service team asking for them to be renewed, I was told: "Thank you for your recent inquiry to our Customer Care Department. Comenity Bank issues your account and responds to all credit related inquiries. I sincerely apologize, we have already given 2600 in points to replace previous certificates. The account is not eligible for replacement points. We hope this information is helpful. For the security of your account information, we ask if there are any follow up questions you have related to this concern, please click on the reply button." "Given" is the key word, I earned those points by shopping at Pier 1. I am closing my account with Pier 1. Enough is enough. It's not a rewards program. They don't honor your loyalty of shopping with them. I was a Platinum member and this is how you're treated.

Pier 1 Company Information