1.26/5
Based on 152 reviews that contain star ratings

165 Pier 1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

For years I contemplated going to Pier 1 to check out all of their beautiful wares, imagining they are expensive. I would drive by, and fight my impulse. Finally I gave in. I browsed for quite a while, admiring all the pretty things then seeing how expensive they are I left. This third time, today, I saw some advertisement online for a black cat soap decanter so I went to the store and browsed among the beautiful treasures and found the cat soap decanter, cat-on-a-pumpkin, and pumpkin cat mug to see they are at good prices! But, right as I picked up the cat decanter, a lady came over and said: "Are you buying that?" and immediately took it from me and placed it behind the counter. Next I contemplated the witch pumpkin soap decanter, she came back over and snatched that from me as well.

I had not even decided I was purchasing it yet! She had me so nervous I nearly dropped the sweet cat-on-a-pumpkin plant holder as I was placing it back on the shelf. Then I continued browsing and heard her say to her associate something of the essence: "She's not done yet..." The lady made me feel uncomfortable, like I am some sort of shoplifter! Later, she rang up my black cat soap decanter, cat-on-a-pumpkin, and matching pumpkin cat mugs, when I asked for a $10 discount flyer she said she put it in my bag, in the same short sort of snappy, dismissing way she had waited on me my entire visit. Well, I imagine, three times is NOT always a charm. And I am not sure if I will go to that Poughkeepsie store again!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have had my account for over 3 years. Never late on a payment. They went in and dropped my credit limit with no warning at all. I called and they said it was because they do credit monitoring and saw my score had dropped. Nothing late on my credit my score dropped. I had applied for college loans with my son and had my credit pulled. Closing this account and never shopping here again. That is not how you treat your paying customers.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I purchased Pier 1 3 wick candles for the first and last time??! These candles are the worst candles I have ever purchased. You light them and they constantly go off. They don’t burn probably and are a giant waste of money. This was my first and last time buying from Pier 1. Terrible product.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

On the 20th of May I went to the store located in 4061 Meridian St Bellingham, Washington 98226. That day I was offered a Credit Card, I informed that I was a Canadian Citizen and the sales rep told me that that was not a problem. I was told that I could pay my credit card online or even in a Pier 1 store in Canada. The first problem after that is that the person who got my info didn't know how to fill the address and they use my apartment number as the number of the building therefore I never got the statement and the credit card.

After a month I call to inquire about the lack of statement and card so I can pay. They realized that the address was actually wrong and they send it again. Just yesterday I got the card and the statement. I registered online and found out my account number didn't work. I call the number on the card and I got the worst customer service, they treated me like I haven't pay and asking for payment, I explained the situation and after talking with the supervisor he said, "I don't care what the sales rep said they are not the bank and you only can pay with USA account or USA money."

One more time. People lying about facts and affecting people. Now I have to drive 2 hours to cross the border and pay in USA cash. Also Now I have to pay the late fees that now are 70 dollars. As you can imagine I don't want to know anything about your store in USA and In Canada, also I'm going to file a report with BBB so people are more aware. It is really lack of ethics knowing that Canadian citizen can't pay from Canada and still process the card.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Purchased 2 Isaac chairs about 2-3 years ago. They are in a living room and are more decorative vs. daily seating. The leather started flaking off. I went to the store where I bought them and showed the manager. She was very nice and checked to see if there were any recalls or other issues with the leather. When she found nothing, she told me to contact the corporate office. I called and emailed pictures of the chairs. They said they saw "nothing wrong with the chairs" and would send me a coupon for 10-20% off of new chairs. Pier 1 quality is not what it used to be. For future buyers, know that these chairs have a lifespan of 2-3 years.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pier 1?

Original review: July 19, 2018

Ordered two tufted bench cushions. Got two plain 18 inch pillows. I was told to mail back pillows and then they would return my money. A random situation of my credit card. I shop online for ease. Don’t think I should have to do anything but receive my order. No exceptions on their end. I would have to print off a label and ship back or drive to the store. I did not want a grab bag order and now all the fixing is on my end. Dissatisfied, and will not online shop there again. Waiting on refund. Hope it happens but no confidence. After 1 hr phone trauma they said I can take a shot of the pillows and then receive my refund. I’m going to try this.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Advertisement to submit text message for coupon of $10 off $50 purchase for regular and sale items only to find out that since the sale was buy one get one at 50% off that this was not a sale but a promotion. Will never shop there again!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I ordered a decorative throw and the color looked different than it was online. So I wanted to return it, but then learn that you have to call a number to get them to send you a return shipping label, at which point they charge an $11 fee. Fyi - this information is not on the packing slip or anything - you have to call (and be put on hold) to get this info. Returning to the store is free - however I don't live that close to a store and that's inconvenient. Anyway, I'm never ordering from them again because of the inconvenience. Most online places now know that you have to make it easy to return to lower the barrier to buy... People don't want to have to call and be put on hold just to return something. Pier 1 is stuck in the 1990's.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I wished I would have read these reviews before ordering the mosaic floor lamp. The contact takes my order and today I receive just the lamp shade, so I call to ask why the floor lamp did not come with it only to find out the floor lamp is no longer available. $313.00 for a lampshade, ddduuuhhh! What planet is this company from, Uranus??? I didn’t even think Pier 1 was still in business. Now I have to take pictures and send to Pier 1 to return the lamp shade. How dare they charge my card without fulfilling the full order. Shameful!!!

Original review: April 18, 2018

There is no need to say much. If you got the wrong item, nobody is going to help. You have to wait at least 30 min in the line to speak with a representative. That person is going to transfer you to another department, and there’s no one to answer your call. I’m closing my account already. You guys need a serious work on your customer service.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Opened a credit card last year given a $500.00 limit, purchased a few things, paid the card off on time and quickly, didn't use the card for almost a year. Went into the store attempted to purchase $50.00 worth of items... And got stopped. EVIDENTLY Pier 1 inactivated my card??? Then wanted to RERUN my credit??? SO this is what I get for using their card and NOT having any NEGATIVE problems with my account? ** PIER 1... I will never purchase anything again... And why I don't purchase on the regular is THEY ARE TOO EXPENSIVE. I doubt this store will be in business for long... They just can't compete.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Do not buy things here, do not GET THEIR STORE CARD... please, you have been warned! They called me three times a day while I was trying to get the account current. They also, hired someone who during Christmas called; one of their people and I gave them a payment over the phone, (the payment never showed up in my Bank Account or on their account sheet. I think they have thieves in their company)! Also, their stuff falls apart fast!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I have called Pier One 8 times about refunding me for dishware that is chipping possibly due to dishwashing. They asked me to send photos. I spent an hour putting together a PowerPoint with detailed pics showing defects. After five email attempts, including a trip to my office to scan it under 5 mb, they claim they haven't received it yet. The latest phone rep advised me to send photos instead of the PPT. She also mentioned I could return them to the store.

I said I wanted a refund on my credit card and was told by another Pier 1 phone rep that the store would only give me store credit. The new phone rep said this wouldn't be the case since it is a "Merchandise Quality" issue. Baloney. I called the local store and the salesclerk told me I would only be eligible for a store credit since it was over 45 days. So now I have to wait for a review (7-10) days and then wait for a return shipping label. And then wait for a decision on refund vs. store credit. This is beyond crazy. I will never shop at Pier 1 again.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I shop a fair amount at Pier 1 and received a $200 & $30 earned reward coupons. I was unable to use them due to work obligations. I contacted the Customer Service team asking for them to be renewed, I was told: "Thank you for your recent inquiry to our Customer Care Department. Comenity Bank issues your account and responds to all credit related inquiries. I sincerely apologize, we have already given 2600 in points to replace previous certificates. The account is not eligible for replacement points. We hope this information is helpful. For the security of your account information, we ask if there are any follow up questions you have related to this concern, please click on the reply button." "Given" is the key word, I earned those points by shopping at Pier 1. I am closing my account with Pier 1. Enough is enough. It's not a rewards program. They don't honor your loyalty of shopping with them. I was a Platinum member and this is how you're treated.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I bought a few dining room chairs on a special credit card sign up promotion. 6 Months deferred interest. I was waiting for the paper bill so I could pay it off in time and not be charged interest. Nevertheless, I took the temporary number that I got from the store and set up auto bill pay through my bank until I got the paper bill. You see, my mom was dying of pancreatic cancer for those two years and the trip into Pier One to purchase dining room chairs was a treat to myself after sitting with her day in and day out. I set up the auto pay just as a catch all, to make sure I did not lapse in payments. My focus should have stayed only on my mom. My bill never came. They had entered my name and my apartment number incorrect. So, now that I was billed almost $300.00 in interest fees, they would not accept any part of the blame and would not even offer a gift certificate or anything to lessen the pain.

I will forever link their lack of customer care and common sense with the death of my mom, so, it is now the death of Pier One Imports. I help a lot of people decorate their homes and I decorate special parties and occasions for people. I had always made sure that Pier One imports was one of my stops. NO LONGER. I have been in Customer Care and relations my whole life and I'm just saying... their customer care stinks to high heaven! I have never given a review like this before, but I am so sick of talking to smug cc reps that have no business being on the phone. The cost of this review/Lesson: Over $300.00. Consumers beware! Problem: Store clerk entered my name and apartment number incorrectly. I never got the bill.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Purchase dining chairs 5 years ago, all the binding leather was peeled off, requested a replacement or repair, was denied - I offered a deal, to get 50% cost of those chairs in store credit and I will be happy to pay the difference and get me new set of chairs. Was denied, their team and supervisors are completely rude - Do not waste your money on items that should last longer - like dining chairs, living room furniture, dining table etc... Note: I had the same issue with World's Market and their team was happy to send me a gift card 40% of the price in a gift card, I went and got my whole living room furniture. Pier 1 import customer relations are not understanding. If they work with clients they will gain them and more and they will have better reputation.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Charges started appearing on our credit card shortly after using a rewards certificate... Called and they questioned our integrity even though our signature wasn't on the charges and NOR WERE THEY SHIPPED ANYWHERE NEAR US. Employees at Brighton store totally have no clue what is going on. They spend lots of time socializing at counter and have no clue what's happening or how to take care of customers. I'd rather drive to Fenton or wait until we go to our winter home in FL. What a shame.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Just got charged my first late fee/interest on any credit card in 7+ years from this company. I only get credit cards to collect rewards and pay them off every two weeks. Don't understand how they can charge me interest and late fees. When you call to cancel the card, they don't even give you to a live person to talk to. All automated.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I purchased an ottoman. Within 18 months we noticed the leg was slanted on an angle. The interior mechanism warped or failed (can't see to know). Emailed customer service with pics and receipts. They offered 50% refund. I dealt with a Monica at their customer service line when 50% was first offered. I stated, "No, I want full refund for manufacturer's defect." We phone tagged for 3-4 months. Monica simply would state on each of my voicemail messages... "This is Monica, I have tried to reach you, call me..." I left lengthy messages for her that her available hours did not work. Still she called and left the same robotic message.

I emailed another complaint about her and mailed it to the corporate office. She responded on a voicemail that she received my letter and to please call her. She finally offered to replace the leg. I explained in a lengthy voicemail that it was not the leg that was bad, but the mechanism inside that makes the leg slant and that you cannot just screw on a leg (that piece did not have screw on legs). Finally I left a message to just send me the check. She continued to leave messages for me to call her with just a phone #, never answering my questions.

I called today and got somebody new (wow) who profusely apologized and that she would check with her lead. After being on hold for some time. She said that Monica was the lead and they would not offer me anything more on the manufacture's defect. She could provide in store credit or a check. I told her I will never buy from Pier 1 again and requested a check instead of an in-store credit. She then states, "We would hate to lose you as a customer." REALLY? After the cheap offer for the crap workmanship and phone tags for months with a robotic 'lead' who could care less. I asked this rep why Monica could not just leave that instruction on my voicemail. Poor quality overpriced furniture. My IKEA ottoman is over 10 years old and still going strong and cost 1/4 less. Lost me as a customer!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Horrible experience with Dawn the manager of Pier 1 Batavia Store. Returned a gift with a gift receipt and was asked to pick out something else. According to corporate office should have been given store credit immediately. Did not purchase enough to equal original purchase so the manager credits the original purchaser. Needless to say they now know that their gift was returned. Offered no help in resolving the situation and was told that's just the way it works. Very rude manager.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I've been trying for almost a year to order a Papasan base, bowl and cushion. (Chair) The last time I tried was last night, Sept 7/2017. The closest Pier1 from me is 3 hours away, so I have to order online, or find a truck and make the long drive. The site said if you purchase an order of $49.00 or more, you get free shipping with code Freeship49. Well, that's a lie! My whole order cost a total of $185.00, but you force me to pay a shipping cost of $169.00? You call this "white glove". Trust me, nobody that's middle class wants or can afford that. That shipping is almost the whole price of my order. Ridiculous! Especially when you have your free shipping advertisement.

I called customer service this morning to see if someone could help. Nope. The poor lady didn't understand why it forces customers to pay the high shipping. I was put on hold and later told, there's no supply in the warehouse that ships to CA, Arizona, Nevada and some other state I forget. Are you kidding me? When I go to order it says they have several in stock. Terrible customer service!!! I am in CA and there is nothing that states you won't deliver here. Do us all a favor and take down your fake free shipping. It's a waste of customers' time. Frustrated in CA.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I bought the Ronan table. After about a year, the leg broke off and the table toppled over. I tried to glue it back in place and put a small brace on the leg to try to repair it. These did not work and I contacted the company. They said they could not do anything for me since I had "altered" the table.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Bought a TV stand online with white glove service which means they will deliver and set up. Got an email from Pier One that said it was sent to shipper and they would call. After a week of no phone call, I called Pier One. On hold for 35 minutes, transferred to shipper where I was in hold for 15 minutes. Shipper says "Oh that piece was sent to a different shipper in Minnesota" (I live in the East side of Wisconsin!). The Minnesota shipper answers after 10 minutes on hold and tells me they don't come here after and they will call me the next time they come. No date, can't schedule. How ridiculous can they get? I'd like to cancel the order but then I'd need another hour.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I made several purchases at Pier 1 and returned some with my receipts. Although I had my receipts and had made all of the purchases on the same credit card - all within recent weeks - I was told that a gift card had been used for the purchases and that I would only be issued a store credit. Although I could produce my receipts, the computer made this decision and I could not get a refund. I am left with the need to use a $56.08 credit at their store. The sales person asked the manager about it and said that I would not be allowed to have a refund, even with receipts.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Don't buy furniture from Pier 1. I received for my bday the Ronan dining set. Beautiful cherry wood table with extension. My mother purchased it for me. 2 1/2 years later the stain on the top is chipping away. It started just cracking, now all the seams are splitting and chipping. I contacted Pier 1 via email twice with no reply. I then went into the store where the table was purchased and asked the manager how to receive a reply. She immediately phoned customer service. With CS help, I was able to fill out a complaint. They sent me an email requesting pictures. I sent the pictures along with the receipt. 2 days later they tell me "based on this information we do not deem this a quality issue." I guess when you spend $1000 for a dining set, you get junk at Pier 1. Buyer Beware!

Original review: July 2, 2017

Pier 1 23 Mile and Gratiot in Chesterfield, MI - I am handicapped and had to go down to Michaels store to get up on the sidewalk to get to Pier 1. I then had to wait outside the store for another customer to come along and open the door for me. Once inside, there is so much blocking the aisles I couldn't get my wheelchair around. A store personnel followed me but didn't move items so I could get through. The television advertised nautical being on sale which the store employees knew nothing about.

I was looking into getting new dishes and dinnerware but I could not get down an aisle to look. I did buy a lamp and the cashier acted insulted when I asked her to plug it in to make sure it worked. And of course upon leaving no one asked to carry anything out nor open the door for me to leave. Once again I waited for another customer to leave and hold the door for me. You can forget about me shopping there again. Most of us baby boomers are getting old and we are your everyday shopper. Sorry, you have nice things I just wish I could see them.

Original review: June 19, 2017

The managers at Store 1035 located in Miami, FL 33183 are phenomenal!! They are professional, helpful, have a positive attitude & very customer friendly. The sales associates are superb!!! Plus the store is arranged beautifully. It's clean, organized and offers quality products at reasonable prices. I only shop at this Pier 1 and recommend it to everyone!

Original review: June 16, 2017

I purchased the Azteca chestnut set, chair, table, a expensive cushions that fit the furniture, as well as several decorative items to match in April of 2013. The items were used two times in May 2013 and then carefully covered and stored for protection against elements and inclement weather. Due to a medical situation cancer, I was never able to uncover and bring the items out of storage until April 2017 and once uncovered the furniture lost three quarters of the stain, especially on the arms and wicker area that looked terrible. I called Pier 1 customer service 7 times and got minimal response.

My last response in May 2017 from the store operator in charge left me with disappointment. She explained that Pier 1 was unable to help me with this situation and my request for the stain to re-apply and condition, her response was that Pier 1 doesn't supply any repair products and stains so I couldn't purchase the stain even if I wished to do so. She suggested to go to Lowe's or Home Depot to purchase pecan spray stain to repair furniture. She said that Pier 1 has used these sprays in the past and was her recommendation to do so at my cost.

Her information was false, Lowe's, Home Depot and other hardware stores in store or internet do not make a pecan spray stains and these types of stains are limited to a very few colors as oak, walnut, pecan but not chestnut. I would advised anyone wanting to make a major purchase at Pier 1 to carefully consider it and check on their customer service complaints as an avenue to make their decisions. Hope this will save other for a gigantic loss.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I was contacted in Feb about a balance that I carried from December - the woman told me that she would charge 50 dollars, then auto debit the balance in 2 monthly payments - now the issuer is telling me they don't do auto debits and I have to pay an additional 160.00 in fees due to their agent lying to me. Do not get this card - it does not help anything.

Original review: June 12, 2017

I purchased 8 pieces of Echo Beach outdoor furniture less than 3yrs ago for over $2,500.00! After first year had to replace one piece for breakage. By 2 1/2yrs the complete set is falling apart to the point where it caving in. After contacting Pier One numerous times with all the info and pictures their reply was, "We will give you 30% off a new set!" Why would I want to repurchase something that is inadequate? Pier one does not stand behind the quality of their product. Do not purchase this product or any other product from Pier One! This is what's wrong with our country, stand behind your products!

Pier 1 Company Information