Pier 1

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I made several purchases at Pier 1 and returned some with my receipts. Although I had my receipts and had made all of the purchases on the same credit card - all within recent weeks - I was told that a gift card had been used for the purchases and that I would only be issued a store credit. Although I could produce my receipts, the computer made this decision and I could not get a refund. I am left with the need to use a $56.08 credit at their store. The sales person asked the manager about it and said that I would not be allowed to have a refund, even with receipts.

Don't buy furniture from Pier 1. I received for my bday the Ronan dining set. Beautiful cherry wood table with extension. My mother purchased it for me. 2 1/2 years later the stain on the top is chipping away. It started just cracking, now all the seams are splitting and chipping. I contacted Pier 1 via email twice with no reply. I then went into the store where the table was purchased and asked the manager how to receive a reply. She immediately phoned customer service. With CS help, I was able to fill out a complaint. They sent me an email requesting pictures. I sent the pictures along with the receipt. 2 days later they tell me "based on this information we do not deem this a quality issue." I guess when you spend $1000 for a dining set, you get junk at Pier 1. Buyer Beware!

Pier 1 23 Mile and Gratiot in Chesterfield, MI - I am handicapped and had to go down to Michaels store to get up on the sidewalk to get to Pier 1. I then had to wait outside the store for another customer to come along and open the door for me. Once inside, there is so much blocking the aisles I couldn't get my wheelchair around. A store personnel followed me but didn't move items so I could get through. The television advertised nautical being on sale which the store employees knew nothing about.

I was looking into getting new dishes and dinnerware but I could not get down an aisle to look. I did buy a lamp and the cashier acted insulted when I asked her to plug it in to make sure it worked. And of course upon leaving no one asked to carry anything out nor open the door for me to leave. Once again I waited for another customer to leave and hold the door for me. You can forget about me shopping there again. Most of us baby boomers are getting old and we are your everyday shopper. Sorry, you have nice things I just wish I could see them.

The managers at Store 1035 located in Miami, FL 33183 are phenomenal!! They are professional, helpful, have a positive attitude & very customer friendly. The sales associates are superb!!! Plus the store is arranged beautifully. It's clean, organized and offers quality products at reasonable prices. I only shop at this Pier 1 and recommend it to everyone!

I purchased the Azteca chestnut set, chair, table, a expensive cushions that fit the furniture, as well as several decorative items to match in April of 2013. The items were used two times in May 2013 and then carefully covered and stored for protection against elements and inclement weather. Due to a medical situation cancer, I was never able to uncover and bring the items out of storage until April 2017 and once uncovered the furniture lost three quarters of the stain, especially on the arms and wicker area that looked terrible. I called Pier 1 customer service 7 times and got minimal response.

My last response in May 2017 from the store operator in charge left me with disappointment. She explained that Pier 1 was unable to help me with this situation and my request for the stain to re-apply and condition, her response was that Pier 1 doesn't supply any repair products and stains so I couldn't purchase the stain even if I wished to do so. She suggested to go to Lowe's or Home Depot to purchase pecan spray stain to repair furniture. She said that Pier 1 has used these sprays in the past and was her recommendation to do so at my cost.

Her information was false, Lowe's, Home Depot and other hardware stores in store or internet do not make a pecan spray stains and these types of stains are limited to a very few colors as oak, walnut, pecan but not chestnut. I would advised anyone wanting to make a major purchase at Pier 1 to carefully consider it and check on their customer service complaints as an avenue to make their decisions. Hope this will save other for a gigantic loss.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pier 1?

I was contacted in Feb about a balance that I carried from December - the woman told me that she would charge 50 dollars, then auto debit the balance in 2 monthly payments - now the issuer is telling me they don't do auto debits and I have to pay an additional 160.00 in fees due to their agent lying to me. Do not get this card - it does not help anything.

I purchased 8 pieces of Echo Beach outdoor furniture less than 3yrs ago for over $2,500.00! After first year had to replace one piece for breakage. By 2 1/2yrs the complete set is falling apart to the point where it caving in. After contacting Pier One numerous times with all the info and pictures their reply was, "We will give you 30% off a new set!" Why would I want to repurchase something that is inadequate? Pier one does not stand behind the quality of their product. Do not purchase this product or any other product from Pier One! This is what's wrong with our country, stand behind your products!

I went online around 8:30 this morning and placed an order for a bedroom dresser. Instructions said I would not be charged until piece went to the shipping company. I used a debit card. Immediately the funds were taken out. I was busy all day but called Pier 1 just now, 12 hours after placing the order. Reason being was, funds were deducted and delivery in two weeks. I know the shipping company does not have the dresser tonight. I was told I could NOT cancel the order. I would have to refuse delivery or return the item to the store. In the meantime, they have my money and I have to wait two weeks for the piece. DO NOT ORDER from Pier 1 if you have any doubt. Once the order is placed, you and your money are prisoners until you receive the item.

I have been a customer of Pier 1, for many years. Through the years there have been some products that I've not been 100% satisfied with, and there have also been many products that I have been very happy with. Summer of 2014 I purchased to Echo Beach Lounge Chairs for my poolside. This spring I noticed that the material started breaking, cracking and coming apart. I contacted customer service. They requested photos, & any information regarding the product purchase. Which was purchased on my Pier 1 card, so it baffled me why they would even REQUIRE this information, that the company already had in my transactions. What's the point of having "loyalty program" if when your consumer becomes a stranger when they have an issue.

After two months of phone calls, multiple emails with photos, customer service concluded that since no other customer had the same experience they would not replace my two lounge chairs or refund any amount. Pier 1 offered me 20% off a new purchase of furniture. Now... My complaint/ issue is just this. The lounge chairs are in fact outdoor, however they are rusting and breaking on the seat portion of the chairs. This all began, JUST since April 1st, two months' time the chairs have broke more to the point there is now outright holes. The same design, Echo Beach, is on my patio. I have the whole sectional and that has held up great. Ottomans and all.

If any other consumer has the same issues with the Lounge Chairs, then maybe this will help. Since Pier 1 Imports does NOT stand 100% behind their product, this should provide support to any consumer. Either Do NOT purchase this product or get your money back should this be your issue. For the record, these two lounge chairs were replacing two others that I had purchased from Casual Living, that held up for 13 years!!! Yes, THIRTEEN Years!!! Pier 1 Imports should NOT advertise outdoor if their product cannot hold up. Recyclable Furniture is all this worth.

When placing my order over the phone, I realized I would be out of town, and told the sales person to cancel the order, I would not be home to accept delivery. Explaining to the associate I would reorder when coming back from vacation. The order was placed anyway and my delivery sat outside for three days in the rain.

I relocated Illinois to Missouri. Treated myself with $8K furnishings! Was cheesed into the credit card lol with a dinky $2500k limit and promised 20% off purchase of $8k. Not so! Delivery: MDX the two hour window was 7. They split the shipment into TWO DAYS! 'White glove' my ass! 4 bookcases arrived UNASSEMBLED! The furniture WAS NOT REMOVED FROM BOXES. Total freaking nightmare! Chesterfield and a Ballwin Missouri staff AWESOME. Telephonic service POS. Delivery fellas clearly overworked, overbooked, underpaid and quite the quart LOW. Will be purchasing from OVERSTOCK or JOSS & MAIN or ETSY or WAYFAIR from here on out. Pier 1 you can bite my fine arse.

I purchased $2,500 worth of their furniture. The "delivered in 14 days" was a lie. I had to keep calling to get the furniture I purchased. The wrong piece was sent to the store. Delivery was a nightmare. I ended up borrowing a truck to pick up. 18 months later my $2,500 furniture is sagging and fraying! I sent them pictures. They offered me a $85.00 gift card!!! Normal wear and tear they said. B.S. This big box company is a consumer rip off. Avoid this Company.

Worst. Absolute worse customer service in the Rockford, Illinois location!! Purchased duvet online and all the accessories in the Rockford location. After placing call and only owning this duvet for a little over a month I was told by the store manager SUE that it was not returnable since I had washed it. WHAT!!! I spent good money on this and because they weren't expecting it to be washed what, so soon! Really! Nonreturnable if you washed it. Even with a receipt! Are you kidding me! This material was so cheap you would have better luck to shop at a Walmart! I told store manager I would discuss this issue with customer service.

Made a phone call with several pictures and was refunded less than 24 hours later. When I went to return the pillows and shams that were not cheap, SUE Store MANAGER was so RUDE to me and asked, "Were these washed?" WHAT... Bad, bad experience... I will take all future shopping somewhere else! Not worth the headache! A simple return, smile, and apology would have worked for me. I received a fight the minute I made the call to the local store. :(

Here I am giving Pier 1 a 2nd opportunity after having an issue (it took 1 week to be fixed) with Round Rock TX store. I decided to place another order online to be picked up at Georgetown store this time, I placed an order using a reward certificate of $40, at moment of check out did show my total was only $6.61. The confirmation email was not showing the credit of $40 so total was 46.61, went to the store to pick up the merchandise and asked Stella (a very nice lady but not confident on what she was doing) to confirm total amount charged to my pier 1 card, which was $46.61 according to her.

She, even when I advised her that doing that will cancel the reward certificate, canceled the order to resubmit it but was not able of course to use the reward certificate because now was showing as "already used". I asked her to cancel the whole order and send me a confirmation with my not used reward certificate. She couldn't do it and referred me to customer service, but said she did canceled the order. I left the store after 30 minutes with no resolution and when I asked manager Tina to help her because Stella was kind of confused she said she was right. There was no need to help her.

Today I called customer care, talked to Gaby who confirmed order still showing as "pending pickup". Order not showing as returned. She then without telling me transferred me to Donna (mgr) who said order was canceled and will send email with a new reward certificate, another 30 minutes on the phone. What a waste of time, there is no gain on this certificate when everything that was done by the store was wrong and I had to call and have it fixed. I love Pier 1 and if anyhow you are able to see my history as customer and everything that I have bought you will see I am a loyal customer but I'm very disappointed with how you guys handle business, somehow the stores need to work as one team with customer services or online purchases, this can't be a roller coaster for customers having to go back and forward from store to phone calls to customer care, you guys need to come up with a better way for customer resolution.

Purchased the Savannah duvet and after 6 months the duvet was ripped in several different spots. The material is like paper and rips very easily. Customer service asked for receipt and photos which I promptly returned and then they never responded. Tried writing back several times and no response.

I ordered a wall picture from Pier 1 Imports online and the description of the item didn't mention I had to put my own string on the back to hang it up. The worst part was that when I asked about the picture before I ordered by phone, the salesperson lied and said the picture had a string. I made the mistake of ordering a rug as well then decided to return it, in which I was charged $15.00 return fee. They refunded most of the rug price all except the $28.00 for taxes which I know was overpriced. I shall never buy anything from them again even if they send a birthday discount card. My next step is to close my Pier 1 credit card.

So much for white glove service, they showed up over 1 hour late and the man that brought my items was a heavy smoker. This made my furniture smell like smoke and none of us are smokers in the house. How do you get rid of the smoke smell on chairs! :( Horrible experience.

Pillows ripped after several months due to poor quality. Tried to return/exchange, but sales rep called me a liar. Where is the customer service these days? Pier 1 should follow the business paths of Macy's, JC Penney and Sears.

Reached out to Pier 1 Customer Relations regarding the quality of my Ciudad Outdoor furniture. Less than a year old and falling apart. In less than 2 weeks already two different people have contacted me via email, just received one again today requesting pics once again provided previously. It seems as they are giving me a runaround asking for receipt, credit card info etc as creating excuses to tire me from resolving this. I asked for a replacement not money back. I have chosen to write about this issue due to the lack of or concern of Pier 1 in resolving this quickly and as I stated prolonged questions as clearly the product is faulty. Beware of any issues with products you purchase as they will put you through the ringer when it's time either to replace exchange or return. Whatever happened to The Customer Experience???

The community that I reside in allows us to "dumpster dive." At this time my family (like most) are in desperate times. I am the sole provider for my parents (elderly w/ medical issues), my husband with a manic depressive disorder after he witnessed his own father's suicide in addition to his history of neurofibromatosis. And just last month stopped financially helping my uncle who has been depended on a colostomy bag, feeding tube for the past 26 months. I work full time at a job I love but, it is not enough to make the ends meet. I am by no means proud of what I do (diving) but, am very proud of what it accomplishes. I am able to yard sale salvageable items (my second full-time job).

For the 1st time I saw that Pier 1 Imports was throwing boxes out while I was passing by. I asked the employee if I would be able to look in the dumpsters as he was throwing stuff out, "sure if you want". As he continued to bring out boxes, I looked. I heard a scream, a new employee was there, and 3 other employees. They were not aware at the time that I had asked to look (again in my state you can do this legally). I apologized for startling them but, before I could tell them anything further, the accusations and yelling began. I again tried to explain myself. Even asking if I could take the 3 items with me that I had found (broken). Still told that I was "stealing", "trespassing" and that I was "nasty" in between the occasional obscenity. I continued to walk to my car and remained calm.

As Austin (management) took a picture of me and my tag, accidently spitting on me as he yelled. I am now in my car leaving, he remains at my window, telling me how gross I am and that I am a liar. I told him to Google the law, "I am allowed to remove things but, not dump things." The now red faced, second manager then takes over the pursuit as the 2 remaining ladies ask that they both leave me alone. Explained to the 2 ladies that I am not doing this by choice but, for my family, 2nd manager curses again and says "I have 5 and don't need to dig around in ** to take care of them and YOU won't find any food in there, so get the hell off of my parking lot." I left that night to find something to help us, instead I found - judgement and hate. #pier1hatecrime

I ordered the white glove in home delivery of a Simon Buffet, was given two hours for delivery. The two hours passed, no item delivered, no phone call (I took time off work for the delivery). Called the In home delivery service and was told my mattress (!) delivery was cancelled... Called Pier 1 Customer Service where I was informed that my item had arrived damaged and the in-home delivery had informed me about that (which in reality never happened). The lady on the phone kept apologizing. Offered me the damaged item with a discount, which I did not accept.

Since there was no Simon Buffet left in my chosen color, I asked for a different color they had available, but the store refused to sell it to me at the price of my initially bought buffet. That was my first furniture purchase from Pier 1 and the first time when I ordered the white glove delivery. The experience was very unpleasant and I am very disappointed in the company I thought high of before.

We purchased a Carmen sectional sofa from Pier 1 in May 2015. Note that the company does not allow review of their products on their website or on their social media pages (e.g. FaceBook). Now we know why. After less than 4 months use, one of the cushions collapsed. The second one collapsed after a little over a year of use. Neither of us is above 170lbs, we have no children or pets.

We contacted Pier 1 before December 10th 2016 and they told us that if there are other similar complaints (still cannot believe how shameless the company is!), then they would raise it to the level of quality issue. We took a bunch of pictures of the damaged cushions. In addition, we have found and included at least 4 different reviews on other social media websites (e.g. YouTube) describing (1) the same issue with this product (has been going on for years!) and (2) these customers have notified the Pier 1 about the issue.

After couple of weeks of back and forth (they were trying to push on us refund in a form of merchandise credit not INCLUDING TAX, and us dropping off the couch after we paid to the company delivery fee when we purchased the poor quality merchandise), the company finally agreed to give us full cash refund and pick up the defective couch. They picked up the couch before December 21st, 2016. We still have not received the refund! We have called them 3 times during the past 3 weeks and each time they brazenly tell us that the check will be in the mail by Wednesday or Thursday of that week.... Such contempt towards the customer's time. We do not recommend to buy furniture from them and we find their customer service despicable.

I bought a beautiful area rug and two rug runners for my kitchen remodel. All of the colors of the room came from the rug. Within 6 months this rug looks like it has been through world war 3. The runners look terrible as well. They are all balled and look terrible. I have had rugs for years and they NEVER looked this bad. We have no children and are very careful with our things. I cannot believe the poor quality of Pier 1 items. I wish the website had an item review section. I have submitted photos of the rug and supposedly I am going to be able to return this one. The thing is, I don't know if I should get another one since I have read so many negative reviews. But all of my colors came from the rug. I could possibly have to reprint the kitchen. Very very disappointed in the quality of Pier 1. I am not going to buy anything there.

My mom and I walked in the Canton, MI store at approximately 8:20 PM. There were two male and one female employee(s) at the front desk. Neither took the time to greet us. However at approximately 8:55 PM one of the male employees asked if everything was ok and then 'stated' that the store would be closing in 5 MINUTES. As a frequent shopper at Pier One I was VERY DISAPPOINTED. Neither of the employees approached my mom and I or anyone shopping in the store until it was time for the store to close. I guess the conversation the two male employees were engulfed in was much more important than the customers!!!

I tried making an online purchase with in-store pick up using a $15 discount code and was told that the coupon I received could not be used. The coupon clearly showed the 14 digit code with a Barcode could be used on any purchase of $50 or more in-store or online and my purchase was over $80. I called and sent several emails to customer service for resolution and they refused to honor the discount. I'm very disappointed. They just lost another very good customer.

Looked at a chair & fabric sample by in local store. Salesperson had no knowledge about construction, fabric or status of chair and claimed no one in the store had any more information on this chair. I went home to research the piece online. Found some of what I needed. However, there was no info on construction of the chair, wood used, colour samples, etc. There were also no consumer reviews & after having chairs delivered within days of Christmas ~ I now know why. If they allowed reviews, they would most likely all be negative!

When the chairs were delivered, the legs were in a zippered compartment under the chair! The men that delivered (for over $160 delivery!) were in and out very very quickly and did not review any particulars nor ask if I had any questions. The color was different than the sample in the store... much brighter. But, I tried in my mind to attribute that to the sample in the store being faded. The chairs were quite firm but I was OK with that thinking that a new chair would be firmer than a floor sample sat upon many many times.

The next day when I sat in one of the pair, it seemed a bit off center. I stood up to fluff the cushion and readjust it. There is no cushion! Only the illusion of one done by piping the fabric. I was shocked to see that the chair had no seat cushion. How will I clean it, refill the foam if needed as some seating pieces do, even vacuuming it would be ridiculously hard!

I immediately called Pier 1's customer service and complained about this design flaw and no explanation of this design in the description online or in the store! I spoke with someone named Corey. Corey said, no problem at all to return the chairs as they were clearly misrepresented - there would be no return charge or restocking fee since the mistake was theirs. He asked for my order # & phone # and told me that their delivery service "MXD" would call me to set up a return date. Basically all was well. I WAS impressed by the ease of fixing this issue. I was ill to the point of hospitalization and missed MXD's return call. I called them back as soon as I got home and received a recorded message that they were closed (@7pm?)... I in turn left a message. They called me the very next day to schedule the return pick up.

THEN THE WORST HAPPENED... A woman who was quite reluctant to give me her name called me! I had spoken to "J" once before to confirm the pickup date. She was hostile from the word hello and told me that since the return was because I did not "like" the chairs, that it wasn't going to happen! She was very rude, continuing to talk over me as I attempted to give her all the details! She told me that "they" (Pier 1) were now refusing the return! It's been less than two weeks and I already had everything set up!?!!! So, I'm writing here at ConsumerAffairs.com for advice and to let other consumers know what this company is really like! Pier 1 does not care for their customers... only the sale!

If there are problems ~ even ones of their own doing, they attempt to throw it back on the customer. My online account STILL says: "REFUND PENDING"! That includes tax & shipping on top of the price of the chairs! I was promised a return, it's documented on my online account and NOW they are trying to change what they promised. The chairs are defective and unusable, and the return is documented on my account on their website! I write this review to help make other consumers out there aware and, to try to get help with my problem with Pier 1 which is so unprofessional! The furniture industry is very competitive; one would think the company would do anything to help keep their name and consumer perception in high esteem. As I said, these chairs were not inexpensive. They were just under $450.00 each. That amount of money should signify quality!

We purchased a couch that was made from bonded leather. When we bought it, we were told it was similar to leather in terms of its lifetime. It was comfortable, etc., but now, 5 years later, it is completely flaking, falling apart, and is garbage. This was a $900 sofa and is completely ruined from routine use after 5 years. It looks like we pulled it out of a college frat dumpster. Don't buy anything from Pier 1 made out of this material. Spend the extra $200 for real leather.

I had purchased a rug from Pier1.com a little over a year ago. First they sent me the wrong rug - so I went nicely to a local Pier 1 to return the wrong rug myself (because there was no other option for me to give it back). I then had to call a store across the country because Pier1.com told me that my rug was no longer available! The store shipped my rug little after I returned and RE-PURCHASED it. I then placed the rug in my dining room, a room we never go into very often. After a few times of cleaning my house, the rug had TERRIBLE pulls. I had a lot going on, moving, new job, etc so I didn't get around to calling until last month. The rug had not been used for 6 months - collecting dust.

I finally had a chance to call pier1 customer service. The representative told me that there wasn't any record of the rug having quality issues, but since I am a great customer I can bring the rug to my local store and exchange for store credit. She said it's easier that way. So I did. My local store didn't even look at the rug and called customer service. They explained to the manager that there isn't any notes in there and the information that I had from the representative was not correct. I frustratedly left the store to call customer service AGAIN. The lady told me she was so sorry to the misinformation, that the representative was probably just holiday help and didn't give me the correct information. How is that my fault?? Anyway, she asked me to then send some pictures over through email and they would be in touch.

When the representative responded her exact words were, "I have partnered with our Leadership Team with regards to the issue with your rug. After review, it has been decided that there is not a quality issue with this rug and as such we will not be offering a refund or a replacement." I can't believe they expect their rugs to pull and look like a polar bear attacked it after a few months in someone's home. So after all that work and turn around and misinformation, it wasn't even about the money. I was willing to take store credit for the price it was today even (50% less)!! They admitted that I was giving the wrong information and made me go through hoops to get a short, non personal response like that?? The quality is crap and they don't give a damn about their customers - because over $150 they lost a loyal customer!!

I have been a shopper at Pier 1 for many years, more so having purchased a new home. I purchased the Pumpkin Oil Warmer, just love the Pier 1 oils. I inserted a tea light, added a few drops of Pier 1 oil and a very small amount of water with the oil as the insert stated. The fragrance filled the house and it was wonderful. I checked the Warmer and it was extremely hot. I moved it only to find it had melted the finish on my sofa table. I contacted Pier 1, explained what had happened and this was their reply. "By you adding water to the warmer Pier 1 is not at fault. The paperwork included specifically stated to add water to the top with the oil." Since they cannot rectify the damage done to my furniture, I will be closing my account with Pier 1.

On 31 August, I ordered bedroom furniture in the value of approximately $2500.00. All but one piece was delivered within four weeks, not the two weeks promised by Pier 1. (One of the dressers had a chipped spot on top, but I did not press the issue because I felt it probable that that would happen anyway at home.) After several weeks, the "white glove service" (ha) delivery company called to schedule delivery of the final piece. Then, on the day before, they called to cancel delivery, saying the piece was damaged and they were waiting for a replacement. Two weeks later, the exact same scenario occurred. I was understanding and did not complain.

Then two weeks later I called Pier 1, asking exactly WHEN I could expect delivery. They said they were expediting the order and it would arrive "quickly". The delivery company scheduled the delivery. On the day they were supposed to deliver, they called AT THE TIME THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO DELIVER, to cancel, saying it wasn't there yet. The delivery company Is 100% incompetent. They schedule delivery a week ahead, but do not give you a time until the day before. As I live in a remote area, they only deliver one day a week... which happens to be my one day per week that I work.

I have taken three days off to get delivery... with no delivery. Pier 1 has been completely unresponsive all along the way. So, now I canceled the original item, along with another piece I had ordered subsequently, that goes with the original order... which I asked to be delivered at the store, so I wouldn't have to go through all this b.s. They canceled it, but said I have to go to the store for a refund! I will NEVER AGAIN spend one penny at Pier 1.

Pier 1 Company Profile