1.03/5

194 Pier 1 Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 15, 2019

I purchased a sectional set online and chose the pick up in store option recently. The store called and let us know the items were ready for pick up and made sure we had a large enough vehicle to transport. We made a special trip over an hour from our home to pick up the sectional and brought it back to our house. When we opened up the package to set it up on our new patio before a dinner party, the ottoman was missing. I called the store and had a really hard time talking to anyone who could help me. They couldn't look up the order and I was passed off to multiple people before they finally said that a manager would call me back the following day.

While I got a call from the manager the next day, I was told the best solution would be for me to drive another hour back down there to pick it up. No discount offered, no attempt to ship it. I made the trip down there and picked up the item but again when I was in the store there was a lot of confusion. I'm very frustrated that the manager did not attempt to make this right and that I, as the customer, had to make the effort to drive there to get the item that was not given to me in the first place. I have loved Pier 1 in the past and even worked there for a while in college but I have to say that I don't have good feelings or thoughts about this company anymore after this experience.

Original review: May 29, 2019

The quality is so bad that it is better to pay more and have the furniture last a few years. Whatever you buy at Pier 1 is disposable and will disintegrate in a very short time. We bought an outdoor table that is always covered when not in use. It completely disintegrated within a few years.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have many complaints but will just refer to one. On 4/16/19 I paid my bill in full on my due date 4/16/19. I paid in the evening online at 10:00, I was told 8:00 was cutoff. For 2 hours Late fee $30.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Purchased a dining table and it could not be delivered to me without paying $160+ for delivery while the chairs could be delivered (6) at no charge. We had to pick up the table at the store. When we got it home, it was defective. The extending table ended up having a large gap where it connects. I called customer service hoping that they would be so kind as to ship a new table and take the old one and not charge me. Nope, they could not help me. They said I had to take the table back to the store and they would have to help me. Not sure yet what that means however now I have to take it back and wait another 2 weeks for the table. This is why Pier One will fail to survive in this day and age with the service that places such as Wayfair provide. I am very dissatisfied with the customer service and quality of the furniture. I wouldn't give them even one star.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Pier 1 failed to deliver a electronic gift card to my sister's email on her birthday. Of course they have an overseas customer service call center. They could not make it right. They blamed the computers were down. I will avoid doing business with Pier 1 for multiple reasons!! Shame on you Pier 1 for not making it right. I had to demand a refund multiple times and bought an Amazon gift card right away.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pier 1?

Original review: April 5, 2019

Purchased a console table online with a stated width of 30 inches, 14 inch depth, and 46 inches high. I received the table and discovered the actual dimensions were 46 inches wide and 30 inches high. When I called customer service I was surprised that my options were to disassemble it, and ship it back or return it to a store. It’s not that I changed my mind about the product, clearly the description had the dimensions switched and I was left with a table that won’t fit in the area it was purchased for because of a product description error. I was then told I could return the product and have a replacement of the same product sent.

When I said, "Well the table is still going to have the same dimensions," I was told products may have slightly different sizes because they come from overseas. A 16 inch difference? I don’t think so. The person was not understanding the product description had the height and width switched. After several phone calls and being placed on hold several times the best they could offer was a 30% discount to a table that had the wrong size posted on website. I will be returning table and buying a new one on Wayfair. Sorry Pier One but disappointed.

Original review: March 31, 2019

We bought an expensive console at Pier 1 in Houston, TX. It was delivered to the store. My husband and I borrowed a station wagon, picked it up from the store and brought it to our house. It was very well protected in its box and the box was intact. We opened the box and noticed that the board in the back of the console was busted. There’s no way this could have happened during shipping because the box didn’t show any damage. The damage was done before the console was placed in the box. Carrying this 105 lb. box around was extremely difficult. Once we noticed the damage, it was impossible to put the box back together and take it back to the store. We just have to live with this damaged piece of furniture. I can’t believe that they knowingly sold us something that was OBVIOUSLY in such deplorable condition.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I purchased 4 cushions as a gift. They only had 3 in stock but assured me if I paid for all four now that the remaining pillow would be on the next truckload which was the next day and they would call me. It is now two weeks later and still no pillow. I’ve had to call the store three times and each time I got the same answer. The pillow just arrived and is being offloaded and they will call me! Today I called again and was told that they have no idea where the pillow is and why it hasn’t been shipped to them! I feel I was given standard answers which were lies each time I called. This is for a gift and I have to have it by this Sunday (in 2 days) or the whole purchase is a waste of time. The salesperson knew this when I purchased the items. Horrible snotty customer service. Will never shop at this overpriced pretentious store again.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I purchased a Papasan chair from Pier 1 almost three weeks ago. These chairs come in three pieces, the cushion, the base, and the bowl piece. I paid almost $400 for these pieces, and was told my order would arrive within two weeks. The cushion arrived at my doorstep within a week, much to my delight. But, as the days past the promised arrival date in my confirmation email, I became agitated. I called the store immediately after not receiving a phone call that the other two pieces had not arrived in the store. They promised for the next two days after the supposed arrival date that my pieces would arrive. They did not.

Three days later I got a phone call that only ONE of the pieces had arrived to the store. I was very upset. No one I talked to seemed to care that I had spent a large sum of money for something I still did not have. They could not find the other piece of my order, so I was told that it must have been out of stock when I ordered it. A small discount was offered on a part that could arrive anywhere from a week to two weeks still. Unfortunately I have to hang on until I get the chair because it is the only style of its kind that I could find. Still waiting to hear a response back. No one ever has any answers or they are "on a conference call". I will NEVER shop here again.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I've shopped extensively from this store, mostly furniture, on and off for years. I take long breaks after bad experiences but get lured back because they do have unique style furniture that's not grossly expensive. Whenever I return, usually after a couple years break... I guess it takes me that long to forget how bad it is. This time I won't be forgetting and I'm permanently done with this company. The majority of furniture shows up damaged. A lot of the furniture is so heavy you have to cut the box open to get it out. Once the box is gone they won't pick up their damaged furniture. It's too heavy to lift to return it to a store. After calling to request they pick it up they lie and say they can't have anyone in your home due to liability. When you point out that they offer 'white glove service' where they do enter your home they change the story and say, "Well because you didn't purchase white glove service we can't pick it up."

That's an issue. It's their fault the product is damaged due to poorly packed furniture then make it extremely difficult to return. On top of that, most of the furniture came and was a completely different color than what was represented on their website. When you complain about that they say it's listed on their website that colors may vary due to lighting and photography. Um...I don't think so. My iPhone captures the color in normal lighting just fine. It's more about them doctoring up the pictures to make the merchandise more appealing than sending it damaged and refusing to pick it up...much of it weighing over 100 lbs. What a business model that is, huh? All set with Pier 1. Would never even buy a napkin ring from them again.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I went into Pier 1 in Warwick RI mid December because I had not been in a long time and had recently been approved for a credit card. So, wanting to get some nice holiday items for our I went inside... No greeting or welcome. I was not noticed until I asked a rep for help, who was straightening the shelves out. She said she'd be with me "in a moment". I waited and she then disappeared and I approached the manager and told him what I was looking for and he hurried me. He walked so fast I couldn't keep up... He just pointed to the section and left.

No words no help. I chose what I wanted and browsed another hour again asking same lady for assistance who was now ringing someone out and said she'd be right with me. She again disappeared like lightning. I found her straightening shelves again. I took the hint that she didn't want to be bothered. I walked around and found her at the register ringing a gentleman out. I approached her and put my items I had wanted to purchase at her register and told her I was very unhappy with the service and that I was a Google reviewer and would be reviewing the treatment I received. She said nothing, did not apologize or attempt to help me. Pier 1 has gone downhill and I'll never order again. My card's ripped in the garbage.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I would not recommend shopping at Pier 1 at all! I have been a customer of Pier 1 since they opened stores in Maryland! I have two homes and have spent thousands and thousands of dollars! I can no longer log into my account and have been pleading for help to be able to order online! They tell me to go to the store and buy, after I told them I was now permanently disabled! So, here I sit with my platinum Pier 1 card that I can't even use! So just don't do it! Let Pier 1 know how you feel about how I've been treated or should that be mistreated?!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

It saddens me to write this review because I am a Pier 1 customer for many, many years and have their credit card as well (with an ongoing balance!). I have purchased everything from furniture to accents to linens, even dishes! Pier 1 Customer Service Department has gone completely down hill! Also, Managers in the store, including Sales Associates on the floor are unaware of return policy information and/or online purchasing done directly out of storefront!

My most recent experience started with an online purchase of a storage ottoman that I chose to purchase online, however when I reached the checkout screen, the shipping/handling (s/h) fee was expensive, approximately $26. I would call Customer Service (after waiting on hold for 23 minutes) for a Representative to inform me if I went into a Pier 1 store, the s/h fee would be waived. So, I did just that! I went into the Pier 1 store located in Miamisburg-Centerville, Ohio. However, the Sales Associate informed me that the information regarding s/h fee was not true. I asked her to go check with the Manager on the floor. The Sales Associate did so and upon returning, confirmed that I was correct and she proceeded to order this item for me (I do not have the name of the Sales Associate nor the Manager on the floor on this given day).

This ottoman never got delivered. I followed up with Customer Service approximately 7 days later, January 21. After being on hold for 22 minutes, I s/w Kayla. Kayla advised sometimes UPS loses shipments and that she would send out a new ottoman to be delivered within 3-5 business days. I asked her a very direct question regarding their return policy. Kayla informed me that it was easy and I could go online and print out a UPS label and leave the item at my front door for pickup.

However, something wasn't sitting right with me about this whole process. On Friday, 1/25, I decided I would cancel this shipment. I also felt that Pier 1 should have at least sent some type of email to me once this item had shipped from their warehouse (mind you, to date, I never received an email that it actually shipped!) So, I attempted on Friday, 1/25 and Saturday, 1/26 and Sunday, 1/27 to contact Customer Service to cancel this item. I could not get through to Pier 1 for 3 DAYS!!! Staying on hold sometimes for 45 plus minutes. Still busy signal the whole weekend.

Another time, after holding for 36 minutes, the line disconnected. By Sunday, 1/27, the later part of the day, I decided to visit that Pier 1 where I placed the original order and I asked a Sales Associate to assist me accordingly (I did not get the name of this Associate). The Sales Associate was not sure how to do this and proceeded to speak with the Manager, Lisa that was on the floor. Lisa originally told that Sales Associate that they could not follow up for me with Customer Service in the store. Upon this Sales Associate advising me of this information, I immediately went to the Manager, Lisa and repeated my whole story once more. She then advised that the only thing she could do is the same thing I did and just wait on hold and keep the phone on speaker in the store. After a lengthy discussion, Lisa agreed to try calling Customer Service for me.

However, she advised that the return policy was different then what Kayla had told me over the phone. Lisa advised that I would have to bring the item to a UPS store to return it. Nonetheless, I waited in the store for approximately 52 minutes before leaving. Lisa was still on hold waiting for Customer Service to pick up. Lisa agreed that she would continue to stay on hold because the store was open until 7p (Sunday) and it was approximately 6p. Lisa called me that evening to advise me she finally got through and Customer Service advised this item already had shipped and there was nothing they could do until it arrived at my door. However, she did advise that I was correct regarding the return policy and once I received it, I would call Customer Service to issue a UPS label return and I could schedule a pickup date.

This item arrived Monday, 1/28. On Tuesday, 1/29 I called Customer Service in the morning, first thing to provide a return label. It took a hold time of 14 minutes before Crystal answered. She advised me that there would be a restocking fee of 26$. I refused to pay this and waited an additional 6 minutes for her to get a Manager to approve of waiving the fee. This Manager never got on the phone personally to discuss this matter with me, nonetheless, the fee was waived.

Now, this is where it gets tricky. In order for UPS to come out and pickup your product at door, you must print out a label and schedule a pickup date. This is done through the UPS portal online. FYI, this is an ottoman that is too bulky of a box to fit in my small Nissan, Sentra. HOWEVER, you have to go onto the UPS portal and interestingly, there is very little instruction that informs you that you need an account number to do a return w/out being charged a fee. I had no account number so the fee was $10.43 for UPS to pick this product up at my door!

There are several things that are disappointing to me, but most importantly I feel is the lack of Customer Service professionalism, follow up shipping information via email or text support and honestly, why should I be charged through UPS a fee at all! Shipping/handling restocking fees, then an additional charge from UPS! I am in management myself and our philosophy at my firm is simple, all staff regardless their stature must be proficient and up to date with policies and procedures at hand! Truly disappointed with Pier 1. Before you purchase something online, beware of hidden charges if you need to return an item and very LONG waiting time!! Shame on you Pier 1!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I opened an account with Pier 1 to get the discount. I made all of my payments on time - in fact I paid it in full every month. They were incorrectly applying the payments to an old account though and didn't notice it. Their own fault since they don't print the whole account number ANYWHERE so that you can properly pay your bill, or sign up online to pay. Well, the calls from them started at 30 days late and even though I insisted I had paid, they didn't believe it until I said I had the cancelled checks. THEN getting it straightened out took forever (SO MUCH OF MY TIME) and they had already put a black mark for collections on my credit report, inhibiting me from getting a mortgage.

I had to spend time disputing it with every credit bureau. Also I had to insist that they refund me the incorrectly applied late charges and interest - they weren't going to! They are a nightmare and I will never, ever do anything with Pier 1, Pottery Barn etc if it involves dealing with Comenity. They called me at all hours of the day and night too! The pain involved was sooo not worth the discount I got.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

First, I purchased the chair online to have delivered to store. 2 days after purchase, I called to see if it was there and they said, it doesn't work that way, I have to come into the store and order on their computer. And they had already canceled the order (neglected to tell me the day they did). So, I went to the store and ordered the chair on the store computer. Said it would be in store January 5, and I would be emailed when in. Today I called the store, Jan 7 to see if it made it there. I was told they had canceled the order, yet they had charged my card. The chair is back ordered for 3 weeks, but they could not guarantee I would get any of the ones on back order. OK! This isn't the first time I have had issues with Pier 1. BYE BYE PIER 1. YOU HAVE LOST ANOTHER CUSTOMER.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Purchased a Marbleized Floor Vase item 3281423 today without price. Was charged $129.95 plus tax $137.75. When I got home and was cleaning it, the price tag fell out showing $99.59. Immediately went back to the store in Pompano Beach, FL. The manager told sales girl to return and sell at proper price and made herself scarce. No apology whatsoever. I paid with tax $105.57. Online it shows item at $129.95 and 25% off! Considering their own tag shows $99.59 that means you get a discount on a marked up price!!!

Buyer Beware! Shop elsewhere! Also, on original overpriced charge I was asked my first and last name, tel number, email, if I want ads for discounts (ha), if I want their credit card and if I want to donate to a cause. The entire experience in first purchase was long and painful. And going back and it was a rudiculous waste of time. I will never go there again. You shouldn’t either! There are much better places that will appreciate your business without ripping you off! I find it just as appalling that they really could care less about your business or how they conduct theirs!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Walked in store and bell went off and no response or welcome from employees. 30 seconds later a couple walked in and employees greeted. I happily will not visit the store again. Plenty of other places to spend my hard earned money.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I bought two large lanterns for my niece and nephew for Christmas. One was damaged. Glass was broken. Called and was told that a replacement would be shipped ASAP. It is now a week before Christmas. I called back and was told it never shipped. I requested expedited shipping however was told that was not possible. Really? How sad. I don’t understand how something like this is acceptable. Your mistake. Make it right. Now I am stuck running around 6 days before Christmas to get something else. Blows my mind, when other companies bend over backwards trying to rectify a situation. You can be sure they will never get my business again. And I will be happy to tell everyone I know about their shoddy service.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I walk with a cane and have chronic hip pain. Waited patiently for another elderly customer in front of me who kept needing more things at register. Cashier was pleasant and helpful to her; I did not mind waiting but moved to the counter near her because my hip was beginning to slip -- I needed support. There was one woman behind me and store was almost empty. After watching us for a few minutes while just standing behind counter, a different person from the cashier (maybe a supervisor?) said, not pleasantly, "Are you supposed to be in line? Because it needs to be behind her." I moved, said "I am sorry, I needed to support myself." She looked at me coldly, turned and walked away.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I received a box full of shattered glass and dented broken candles. The candles were not wrapped properly - shattered glass everywhere. I called and spoke to a, lass who said she would appear shop the products back to me and credit 23.00 for the 2 that were out of stock. I did see the credit but WHERE'S MY ORDER? These were gifts. I submitted pictures and lodged a formal complaint with this company. It seems I've been trying for days to reach them and get an automated response to leave a text or voicemail. Anything to avoid a customer's wrath. Well, if my order doesn't get here soon corporate will receive the box of what I got on their doorstep. Fair is fair. I will also contact BBB for my money back. I don't even see the speedship on my order under my Acct but I see the credit. A huge problem because these were gifts and my money went down the drain.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I ordered 2 items, the first was delivered without incident. I tracked the 2nd item and found that it was delivered back to sender in Texas. I dug a little more into the tracking details and found that it said my delivery was refused. I live in an apartment complex where packages are left in the lobby. I was never contacted about refusing this shipment, it was sent back with no notice to me.

A week later, I have not been refunded the money, I have tried contacting the company multiple times to figure out what happened and try to get my delivery sent back. Sent an email and received no response, tried the text message option and got a response saying "we are unable to respond to your request at this time", phone where I have waited on hold on 2 separate phone calls for a total of 45 minutes) and cannot get any answers or help. I'm finally trying the live chat option and am currently 7th in line for someone to help me. It is incredibly frustrating to contact this company.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

After a week of pending an online order, I finally check on it and am told it was canceled. After waiting 40 minutes to contact customer service I am told they do not have the item in stock (does not show out of stock online over a week later). Made no attempt to make it right. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Ordered 2 items online that never arrived. Was told 3-5 days, called and was told they couldn’t do anything until 7 days. 7 days passed still no items and the UPS tracking has been sitting on ‘created label’ since day 1. UPS said they never ordered a pickup. I told Pier 1 this and they said they can’t cancel the order until another week and they couldn’t see what was going on. Ridiculous. All of my other stores purchased from had simple tracking and arrived as stated. Never shopping here again and I want my $320 refunded.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I ordered two pillows online a week ago. Today I receive an email saying my order was canceled without explanation. I called the number provided and was on hold for 15 minutes only to be disconnected. I tried live chat. It was unavailable. I emailed. I text. No response. Tried live chat again. After a 6 minute hold I got through only to find out that customer service had no idea. They told me to call my local store. I asked why I would do this when the order had been canceled. The pillows obviously came from somewhere else. They said, "No, the pillows were sent to the store." I called the store and was told that they had no idea why my order was canceled but they never received them from the distribution center. So I have NO EXPLANATION and I have lost a lot of time on this matter.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Went into store was ready to purchase numerous ornaments. When cashier rang up not all received discount. When asked she said the picks are not included. When I showed here they were listed on the website as an ornament and the sale states all ornaments 50% off. She said It did not ring up it’s not on sale. Floor manager said it’s not included. False advertising, absolutely no customer service. This is the Palm Beach Gardens store.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Outdoor Chaise Lounge set advertised as coming with cushions and with free shipping. When ordering online, found that "free" shipping wasn't really free shipping - that they added a $100+ "shipping surcharge" due to the weight of the item. Contacted store who told us that "Pier 1 is a different company entirely than Pier1.com so we can waive all shipping if you order from us." (We placed order). Order arrives without the cushions. Call the 1-800 customer service number and, after a 32 minute hold time, was told that "Sorry we are out of the cushions but we are authorized to offer you a 10% credit instead."

Pointed out that they're still offering the same set - with cushions - on their website and was told, again, "I'm sorry but we're out of the cushions but we are authorized to offer you a 10% credit instead." Asked specifically why they would still be selling it and, again, was told the exact same words as the previous two times... Gave up and said I'd call the store. Spoke with Store Manager who, again, told us that Pier 1 was an entirely different company than Pier1.com and that this situation isn't unusual, that it's reported up the line regularly but that nothing changes.

Offered to "Try to get the cushions" but recommended that we take a larger discount on the set and wait a few months until the stores are stocked with the outdoor cushions again and come buy them directly. We accepted a $100 discount (the cost of the original set without cushions). Asked how they would still be offering the same set online and was told "Yeah, all of them will be delivered without cushions. It doesn't make any sense to me either." Never - ever - again will we "ever" purchase anything from Pier 1 unless we can walk out the store with it in hand (and that's pretty doubtful).

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I recently purchased a double papasan chair and cushion, and the cushion was ordered in store by customer service to be delivered to my home. The cushion came a week later and was the completely wrong size and color. I returned it in store and they ordered it again for me without any explanation on how the order I made was not deliberated correctly. After they placed the order the second time, 3 days later I got an email that my second order had been canceled. I called to see why and customer relations, although the guy was very nice, told me that the warehouse didn’t have any more of the cushions.

He said he could replace the order to come from a different warehouse. I don’t understand how they couldn’t have just kept the order and sent it from a different warehouse, versus canceling my order and making me go through the entire process of ordering it for a third time. To say the least, I am very frustrated with my experience and it makes never want to order from them again.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I received a bill on the mail and as soon as I received, I sent a check to pay the bill. I sent 5 days before the due date and they are charging a $27 of late fee. On the top of that, they were sending the bill to my old address and I just found out they are trying to charge for a late fee recently. What a terrible store. I will NEVER EVER buy absolutely anything there.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

So the instructions that come with the shelf aren't detailed nor in sequence, step by step of how to put the shelf together and which part goes first. The main 'bolts' used to screw the shelf together can't be used by a cross tip nor a flat tip screwdriver. You have to use a small 'Allen key' to screw these 2 1/2 inch nails into wood (If you don't have a drill). With all the labor needed to go into this shelf, it wasn't even worth the $79-$80 sale price with free shipping, and the 20% off for my birthday month.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

For years I contemplated going to Pier 1 to check out all of their beautiful wares, imagining they are expensive. I would drive by, and fight my impulse. Finally I gave in. I browsed for quite a while, admiring all the pretty things then seeing how expensive they are I left. This third time, today, I saw some advertisement online for a black cat soap decanter so I went to the store and browsed among the beautiful treasures and found the cat soap decanter, cat-on-a-pumpkin, and pumpkin cat mug to see they are at good prices! But, right as I picked up the cat decanter, a lady came over and said: "Are you buying that?" and immediately took it from me and placed it behind the counter. Next I contemplated the witch pumpkin soap decanter, she came back over and snatched that from me as well.

I had not even decided I was purchasing it yet! She had me so nervous I nearly dropped the sweet cat-on-a-pumpkin plant holder as I was placing it back on the shelf. Then I continued browsing and heard her say to her associate something of the essence: "She's not done yet..." The lady made me feel uncomfortable, like I am some sort of shoplifter! Later, she rang up my black cat soap decanter, cat-on-a-pumpkin, and matching pumpkin cat mugs, when I asked for a $10 discount flyer she said she put it in my bag, in the same short sort of snappy, dismissing way she had waited on me my entire visit. Well, I imagine, three times is NOT always a charm. And I am not sure if I will go to that Poughkeepsie store again!

Pier 1 Company Information