1.37/5
Based on 114 reviews that contain star ratings

michaels.com

116 Michaels Stores, Inc Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

On October 5 I ordered a custom frame of a diploma for a handicapped individual. Had to order a special mat for it. Was assured that all would come in and would be completed by the 13th. I even bought a non-custom frame just to make sure the process would be sped up. I informed the associate that I needed it by the 15th for a special party for this handicap individual to give them their diploma. When I arrived at two in the afternoon on the 15th, not only could they not find it at first but no work had been done on the project at all. It took two associates 30 minutes of looking and hunting came to that conclusion. I came to that same conclusion in the first five minutes seeing the diploma to be sitting on the same shelf I had saw the associate originally put it on.

I was then told that they would get to it whenever they could as fast as they could but it was obvious that there’s gonna be no diploma for this handicapped individuals party, that the party was going to have to go on without any kind of Surprise for this person Or showing this person how proud we are that they were getting a college diploma. NEVER expect them to have it ready! Be prepared to be disappointed if you need it in a reasonable time frame. Like more than 10 days... Just spend the extra money and bypass the disappointment and heartache.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I was shopping last night 30 min before close... and the young ** women who was the store clerk walked up to me. (I assume she could tell I was frustrated in my decision, on what I was wanting to do on a purchase... she greeted me calmly with a smile.) Complimented my friend whom’s cologne was quite nice... and then began to inquire of to what item I was seeking or the issue I was contemplating over. I began to share over the dilemma on rather I wanted the bigger Diamond Dotz horse tapestry (in which I really liked or, a smaller one which was cheaper but wasn’t much a selection in which I cared for...) I was almost about to leave... she inquired if I was a rewards member?

And I am... she said I could use either the 30% total purchase or a one item since that was all I was getting coupon for 40%. She advised me on which one was the best for my purchase. She scanned my rewards barcode that I had pulled up from my App. and I was amazed and delighted on the fact that she knew and could split cash and card. I gave her $10.00 cash and then paid remaining $15.00 and change on card. Wow... that was a huge difference... discount. It made from what I originally thought I was going to pull from my credit card... and today, the fall weather has moved in here in Texas and the wind is cool and blowing and from the fresh rain the air is cold and damp so I’m super happy. I have my craft project today and did not leave empty handed. Thank You **, From the Abilene Th store 4823.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I ordered some jewelry supplies from Michaels online. They arrived in a timely manner (ship to store), although when I went to the store to pick them up, the employee asked me if it was “Ship to Store” or “Special Order.” Not sure why, but she had to look in 3 different areas to find the box. I decided to return some of the items as I did not need them. I didn’t read the fine print (my fault), so I tried to return them to the store. Not possible. I had to send them back to the warehouse.

It took THREE phone calls to get a Return Authorization. Then I had to print the label and take it to a UPS drop off. It took a long time to get back to the warehouse. I called (again!) to find out where my return credit was as it has not shown up on my credit card. I was told it would take SEVEN to TEN business days to receive the credit!!! What??? I cannot believe a company of this size would be so difficult to deal with online. I might shop in stores, but I will never order online from Michaels again!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I paid Michaels $380+ to frame a large watercolor. The image was "floated", attached in the frame so the edges of the paper are visible. Today I'll return it to Michaels for the third time for repair because it keeps coming loose in the frame. The image was floated for 20 years in its old frame without a problem. My advice: Find a professional frame shop to do your framing.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Many times now, I've placed several items in my cart. When I step away, I get logged out so, when I go back to my order and put something in the cart, it's the only thing in there because I've been logged off and the remainder of my items are no longer there. I've complained about this several times, they do NOTHING! I have to RESHOP most of the time. This is extremely bad customer service. The responses I get are, "I'm sorry. We don't know why this happens." Well, I'M SORRY. I should stay logged in until I LOG MYSELF OUT. I spend way too much time shopping online at Michaels and needless to say, it is very frustrating. I've asked to get contact information for senior IT management... Nothing in the response.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Michaels Stores, Inc?

Original review: July 20, 2018

Buying in store: checkers never know SALE prices. Always a hassle. Online order was so messed up. The restocked merchandise before I got there. You are supposed to have 5 days for in-store pickup. They pulled the plug at 3 & ½. No email. They say you can “chat” but there’s never anyone available. Imagine driving all the way to store & no stuff. No apology. Nothing. Clerks even noticed the restock notice wasn’t for 5 days.

Original review: July 20, 2018

We came in near closing time looking for a wedding guest book after being turned away from store after store and not having the option of ordering it online, not only did the personnel help us with a smile and show us what they had but helped us with other things we needed even after the store was closed. We didn't take long but they didn't make us felt rushed and gave us space and help if needed. Will definitely start at this store first and WILL recommend. What an amazing experience. They helped take the stress out of our day. Thank you!

Original review: May 20, 2018

I took a piece of my own artwork in to Michaels to be framed. First, I was surprised at the price which I thought a little high for what I was getting, but with a two week turnaround, I didn't have a lot of choice. We live on one of the SG Islands so it's not like we can drop around to the store whenever. The girl behind the counter didn't seem to know a lot but we went with it and paid up front, something I don't like to do in a case like this. I showed up two weeks later to pick up the picture. The girl behind the counter seemed surprised that I wanted to see it first but she unpacked it from its wrapping. Right away I could see that the second layer of matte was narrower on one side than on the other. I pointed it out to her. "Oh, yeah, I see it," she said." I just looked at her. So she said, "I guess I should have looked at it before I framed it." You freaking think so???

I asked her about fixing it but she said that the way the picture was secured in there she wasn't sure how easy it would be to take apart. I think she realized I was pissed off so she finally said that she could fix it. I asked, "How long?" She wasn't sure, 15 minutes maybe. Which would have been fine except that I was running from appointment to appointment, I wasn't confident she could have it done in the fifteen minutes I would be waiting around, but most importantly, she didn't seem at all confident that she could do it without destroying the original artwork. I finally gave up, took it as it was and left. I was most annoyed that they actually charge as much as they do for framing that bad, but I was also surprised that she did not at least offer to refund a small amount of my money for the mistake. I suggest you go anywhere else for your framing needs and to NEVER USE MICHAELS for framing artwork!

Original review: May 11, 2018

Appalling! Michaels framed a large photo years ago but the photo fell off inside so I asked about cost to fix it. Response: about $10. When I took it in, another woman said "prices have gone up." Final cost: $26. When I picked up the piece, someone pressed too hard and the sticky substance on the strip to hold the photo in place came off onto the inside of the glass (very noticeable) and nobody saw it? So I was told it would have to opened up to clean the inside glass. I went to pick it up and someone removed and discarded the special glare proof glass (paid extra for it) and replaced it with cheap clear plastic. The woman called "the manager" who said the spot would not come off so it was replaced. "Why not glare proof?" "We don't stock that."

So why not find something comparable OR just call me? Instead, it was decided to downgrade my framed piece and not tell me. It looks cheap and I really don't want it in my home. ABSOLUTELY APPALLING! This isn't just bad workmanship and outrageous customer service; it's practically against the law (which I'm sure some fine print will get Michaels off the hook). I'm incredibly disappointed and will never go there again. Stay away from the store in Hybla Valley at 7690 Richmond Hwy, Alexandria, VA 22306.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Employees are lazy and rude, must be something in the air in Clarksville Tennessee? I never get approached or spoken to. I was looking at something in an aisle and had a cart, they always have things set up in the middle of their aisles. I could sense someone behind me but kept shopping. I didn’t know what they were doing and didn’t really care, after IDK maybe 2-3 minutes a loud huff and this woman EMPLOYEE with a cart went around the bin to get by me. Okay, so this is something she could have done all along right OR done the polite all American thing and said EXCUSE ME like I ALWAYS do, are you kidding me. She’s so lucky I was in a decent mood that day!

I made a complaint about how the employees treat customers in this Michaels location and heard nothing, so the store manager is their reflection, ha. Again I’m wondering where the district and regional management are when they hear these type of complaints or do they? That store is never busy and just opened about a year and a half ago so you’d think they would want to make a good impression. So I do not shop there anymore, geez my stores are getting limited in this town because I refuse to be treated like crap because I do not treat people that way!

Original review: April 6, 2018

CONSUMER BEWARE especially online shopping. Went online to purchase a gift card and transaction is now processing double! That means no access to the second charge until payment post to account. Customer service had no power to correct transaction, in fact they were too busy telling me there was nothing they can do! And blamed my bank! WOW... The bank only holds what the merchant has requested until the process has been balanced! IT IS THE MERCHANT THAT TRANSACT THE REQUEST.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I purchased yarn at Michaels Craft Store in Ellisville, Missouri. The yarn was tied together more than at the halfway point. I didn’t discover the tied yarn until I was almost done with a hat I was making with the yarn. I have heard about stores selling used items in their stores but I was still shocked. The clerk made me wait for the manager because the clerk told me she didn’t think I could return the yarn. I felt like I was in the wrong. What? I did get my money back and the store employees had nothing to say. The way the yarn was repackaged made it hard to detect it was used. I guess beware. I just wish something could be done about it.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I made a $135 order yarn for a crochet project. This was my first experience purchasing from a Michaels, either online or in person. I received a notification of shipping 24 hours later. The following day, I received an email from UPS indicating that my box of yarn had been received by UPS RIPPED OPEN, with the content removed. When I called UPS, they stated the box arrived to their shipping center this way, meaning, Michaels shipment center was aware of the theft, and decided to ship me out an empty box anyway. I contacted Michaels immediately, they reviewed the UPS information, and stated I would receive a refund for the entire order within 48 hours to my original payment method.

That was 9 days ago. I’ve called Michaels customer service numerous times. They keep saying they “put in the request for a refund” and could I wait a bit longer?

Um, no. You don’t get to hang on to my $135 a while longer. 9 Days is long enough. I initiated a chargeback with my credit card company this morning. This will be my first and last time shopping at any Michaels, either in person, or online. Horribly inept and shady company. Shop elsewhere!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I loved shopping at Michaels for many years. Now when I go in the yarn I need is never in stock. I shop at the Michaels in Florissant MO. I use a lot of Caron red and white never in stock. I use North Sea Bernat Blanket yarn never in stock. Have to order online. I am getting very angry. The products I need are never there. Please keep these in stock at store or I will shop somewhere else.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I have framed a number of pieces at Michaels and I have now learned that they are great, until they are not. They recently damaged a piece that I took in. My COA was quite clear about its condition and on return there was a smudge, a surface slice along the arm of the image, and spots to the bottom. They immediately refunded the cost of the frame and quite amusingly to me, offered me 100.00 compensation for a piece that is worth much more. I have learned my lesson, and for this I do not blame them.

I now know, if you have something of no value, then certainly you should let them work on it, but anything of value, please take it to a framer that appreciates clean working conditions and safety issues. Now here's the rub, Michaels' prices are actually so high that it's not worth using them for something that has no value. So what's the final conclusion, it's not cost effective to use them for something that has no value and they are cavalier with things that have value. I strongly advise you to go elsewhere. I will be.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I ordered a $346.00 Christmas tree online on October 27, 2017, during Michaels big 70% off Christmas tree sale. I received the tree, did not like the tree and then started the painful journey of attempting to return the tree and get a refund. With other online refunds with other companies, usually the company will email you a self adhesive tag to attach to the item and return to the nearest UPS. Nope. It took 3 phone calls to Michaels, phone calls in which they acted like they had never had to deal with an online return before.

On the 3rd phone call they finally sent UPS to pick up the tree at my house, on November 16th, a full 2 weeks after I started the phone calls to Michaels to return the tree. The tree was delivered back to Michaels on November 26th, two and a half weeks ago. I sit here today, December 14th, after 3 more phone calls to Michaels since the tree was delivered back to them, and I still have received NO REFUND. Three hundred and forty six dollars would be really nice to have around the Christmas season. I just got off the phone with Michaels, again, and the lady said I would be getting a call from customer service. Needless to say, I will not only never order anything online from Michaels again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I went to the Avon, OH store last Saturday to pick up some Christmas lights. The store was somewhat busy, so it took about 10 minutes to get to the register. I repeatedly told the cashier that I was using a Michaels gift card and she insisted that I swipe the gift card through the card terminal in front of me. After 2 attempts and card read errors, I hoped that the cashier would try swiping the card through the register. Instead, she just stared at me. I ended up using a different payment method. I will not be returning to this store.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

Michaels, 11260 West Olympic Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90064. I had a picture frame that was framed by one of Michaels' other locations a long time ago, however, I had a problem with the glass and wooden frame and so I wrote them plenty of letters and Thankfully, I was invited to come back to my local Michaels store in order to get taken care of properly and right! In My Case: I had to make two (2) trips which was Not Their Fault! The first time that I visited them, I had to get the broken glass replaced, however, when I got back home, I also discovered that the wood that was used for the wooden frame had a slight discoloration. Thankfully, I was allowed to come back to the same Michaels store for a second time and was well taken care of by **.

My only disappointment was that they did not have the wooden frame available and I had to leave it there for about seven (7) more days and they will call me back around October 27, 2017 to pick it up. Other than that, they at least took good care of ME as their Michael's Loyal Customer and I'm sure that they will do a Great Job at Replacing The Wooden Frame as well like they did for the Glass Portion already. I want to personally Thank Crystal and the other former male employee from the week before for taking care of ME and all of my Michael's Picture Framing Needs back on Friday, October 20, 2017.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I will no longer use Michaels for Framing. I went back 6 months later to have an identical size painting framed and the price of the frame went up 60%. So when they say 70% off, they just increased their frame price by over 60% in 6 months!! Go to ANY local framer, I am sure you can beat Michael's prices and get the same frame. Secondly, they put numerous adders on all their frame prices, make sure you decline most of these. When I asked the salesgirl to print out my quote she said she could not print out the itemized version. You only get that AFTER you pay.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

Michaels return policy is horrible. It first says you can return anything you are dissatisfied with, but then says it must be new, unopened and in original packaging. How am I supposed to know if I'm dissatisfied with paint brushes if I first do not use them? It says I would need to contact the manufacturer to return. Guess who manufacturers it? Michaels. Just money in the trash. Will not be shopping there any longer.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Historically Michaels has allowed the use of multiple coupons when applicable. The implementation of this policy drives me crazy because not all EMPLOYEES of Michaels Stores are familiar with the policy. Now suddenly, my local Michaels 57 E City Avenue, Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004 claims they no longer accept 2 coupons per transaction. I was floored.

For example: If I have a 40% off one regular priced coupon along with a 30% off regularly priced yarn coupon and I want to purchase 4 skeins of regularly priced yarn and a pair of regularly priced scissors, I should be able to use BOTH coupons and I use to be able to in the past. Now my local Michaels store is telling me that these 2 coupons are not permitted. WTF? I struggle going into the store to begin with because there's never enough cashiers, the store is poorly stocked with enough merchandise and the "some" of the employees are lack the basic customer service principles when dealing with customers. Michaels, please get your act together and be more consistent, PLEASE!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I feel very frustrated when I go into the Michaels store on Richmond Highway in Alexandria, Virginia. I usually go into Michaels when my daughters would like to do an art project of some kind. This evening we went into the store to purchase canvases and paint. There were at least three people with Michaels name tags on that I came across. Not one of them offered assistance when I engaged in eye contact.

When I was ready to check out, I asked the sales associate if there were any coupons? She said I would have to look them up myself. I looked up paint canvases in the size that I purchased and saw that they were on sale for 10.00, originally 19.99. When I showed them to her she said they were a different brand and made no effort to help me get or use the coupon. She made no effort to help me locate the item nor cared if I purchased anything. If I did not have my daughters with me, I would not have made the purchase at this store. This is not the first time I have tried to get help from a Michaels employee, to be told or to feel like it is too much trouble.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Letters and Decorative Boxes - Ordered products online that were in stock. Received email early in a.m. that stated three items from order were canceled - no longer available. Went online and chatted with rep this morning and found items were available so had to re-order. Rep did provide code for discounted shipping which was on original order, but had to call back after placing second order to receive the 40% off. Discount was from original order. Why state on website that items are available that are not? Seems that this all could have been resolved by their Customer Service rep with one interaction. Very inefficient process.

Original review: July 11, 2017

Today, I went to Michael's Store #3340, San Jose, California to return some Disney foam Mickey Mouse & Princess hats because my students with special needs did not like them because of the plastic wire that goes under the chin. Two of the Mickey Mouse foam head gear had been torn where the plastic hanger attachment is. I had cut off all the tags. I have been told that Michael's does not take merchandise back for returns with the tags cut off. I had all of the tags that I had cut off. I had not been aware of this policy. I will not be shopping at Michael's again and will be informing others of this experience.

Original review: May 17, 2017

My experiences at this location are horrible. Every time I go to shop for my art supply and need help... it seems like no one can help me. They are always stuck at the registers (mornings or afternoons) and I understand that it gets busy but this store need to hired more people to work on the floor. Every time I go the line is so long. I had asked for a manager and she was stuck at the register so she couldn't help me either. I love this store but there's nooo customer service on the floor and it's annoying! Alsooo! Since there's no employees on the floor and nooo security, every time I go I see people stealing from left to right, why??? Cuz there's nooo security and of course no associates on the floor. It's just sad! I hope y'all fix this!!

Original review: May 13, 2017

Just came out of Michaels. Had a very bad experience!! They have a sale going on buy 2 get 3rd item free, I was willing to purchase 3 Wilton fondant boxes $18 to get one "free"! (Big paper was in front of all the fondant boxes advertising.) So when I get to the register they ring up regular price! I tell the cashier about the "sale"! She says "it's doesn't include everyday value products"! Whatever the hell that means!! So all their coupons and sales are B.S.! Just lost a good customer. I'm going to Hobby Lobby. I've never had problems with coupons there!

Original review: March 31, 2017

I placed an order online which included several items. When my box arrived, it looked perfect. The delivery company took good care of the box. My delight ended there! When I opened the box, the most important product of all was broken. This item had was wrapped in two layers of bubble wrap. The outside box did not have a mark nor bruise. You can only conclude that Michaels intentionally sent a damaged item and the shipping finished it off!

Well if you think that is bad enough! Call customer service! The worse customer service I have ever experienced. After explaining the situation and telling them I need the product by Monday the latest (it's Friday!), the first person told me that next day delivery would be Thursday. Yes... you read correctly! Thursday! I asked how is next day delivery, Thursday? The representative said it's because it takes two days to wrap it. Folks... the product is a bowl! When I rejected that comment, he then said I could drive to the stores to see if the product is in the stores. Really! I told him NO and to send me to his supervisor. He did not! He sent me to a girl who was going to assist in finding a store to purchase the product again! I said NO, yet again and she forwarded me to a supervisor... so I thought. NO... He was just another customer service representative that couldn't do anything. He sent me to a supervisor.

The supervisor was at least not rude, but again not helpful. The supervisor has to speak to his concierge or contact and get approval to send my product to me by Monday. Apparently there is a concierge somewhere undisclosed. And this concierge is the only person in all of Michaels who can have this product sent to me by Monday and he took a personal day! See... there is only one! Because no one else can help. My takeaway from this is Michaels enjoys taking your money and wasting your time. I don't like going to their stores because there is always just one register open and a line 20 people deep. This conversation lasted longer than that line! So there was another hour and half of my life that I will never get back. Oh, and as for my product?!? I won't see it until Wednesday! Let's see if this one is broken!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I purchased an item online from Michaels. The item wasn't satisfactory to me, I never even to plastic off item. Well I tried to take back to store and was told had to send back since it was online purchase. Ok no problem. I could do that. I called the 800 Return Dept and they told me I would get email from UPS with info for return. Had to wait for that email (like 2 days). When I went to see if package could be picked up UPS told me Michaels hadn't covered that. So I had to take to the store or drop box (package too big to fit) or give it to UPS person if I seen one. Well long story short when they received it back online refunded me the merchandise price and some of the tax on merchandise. Didn't refund S&H which was 6.95 and a small portion of the tax. Never will I order again.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

Store: 8200 Renaissance Pkwy, Ste 1030, Durham, NC. I have found very good customer service such as a cashier in the Michael's in Durham. Other employees helped me when I had questions about where to find something. The cashier always talks about what my project is for whatever it is that I am buying, and I appreciate that. I've also gotten good advice from cashiers and other employees. I would recommend this store to everyone.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

I went to Michaels in Columbus, Ohio right before Christmas. The items I was buying were advertised as 70% off and there actually was a box of them with the 70% sign on the counter where I was checking out. I watched as the cashier scanned them and the full discount was not being applied. I told her that the reason I was buying several of this item was due to this discount and pointed out that they weren't ringing up correctly. She told me they would be discounted once it was totaled. So I paid the final amount she told me, but when I got my receipt, sure enough the discount was not applied. I had already paid and didn't want to wait while they had to be returned and reentered. So I left knowing that I had just basically been ripped off.

There were several issues here as I see it. The product had not been entered into the system correctly with the discounted price, even though it was profusely advertised around the store including on the checkout counter. There was no mystery what the price should have been. The cashier didn't know what she was talking about, apparently, since she assured me it would be discounted but it was not. And they should give you a chance to see the itemized list and what you are being charged for each item before you pay.

Michaels Stores, Inc Company Information