1.39/5
Based on 127 reviews that contain star ratings

michaels.com

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

129 Michaels Stores, Inc Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I place an order with Michaels that was supposed to be split between the balance on a gift card, with the remaining balance of the order paid for with my credit card. The order went though just fine, showing the order had been paid with the gift card and the credit card. Just looked at my credit card statement. They never applied the gift card balance. After 4 phone calls, I was told I would receive partial credit on my credit card for the remaining gift card balance. Said it would take 3-5 days. Never happened. Additionally, their online orders take forever to fulfill. Will never use Michales online again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have ordered 3 times in 1 year from Michaels. The first time I ordered 12 items. 3 were shipped to me. I got no call or email to say the other items were no longer available. The manager I spoke with was not helpful and slightly rude, I ordered a second time. The entire order was canceled. I ordered right before the holidays bulk items which is what the site was advertising. This was for a baby shower again. They sent the spray paint but not the Mason jars. When I called customer service the agent was rude and told me they could not cancel the order. He sent me to another manager who told me he could not guarantee my order would be canceled although it was their fault it could not be fulfilled. At this point I will never order online again and will be sure to every person I know DON'T DO IT. They should consider removing online services at this point.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Tried for several hours to place an order to ship to store. Couldn't get to the part to add my payment to checkout. It just wouldn't go passed the 2nd step. Tried to go through PayPal instead but got an error message that I couldn't ship to that address which was the store address since I wanted to ship to store. Finally after about 2 hours I can get to add my payment info but now the prices have increased! They are still listed on the website as on sale but in my cart they are regular price which is more than doubled. I removed and added again. Still changes price in cart. It's not fair to list one price on the web page and then change it when I add to my cart. It's late so no customer service is available to help or answer questions. I thought online ordering was supposed to be quick and easy but this has been a headache.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I placed an order online to be picked up in the store. Unfortunately, I accidentally selected the wrong store. I called the store to cancel the order and place it to the correct store. They said they couldn't do that & advised me to called the 800 # which I did. The customer service rep said if I didn't have an order number they couldn't look up the order. I had not received an email with an order # so I did not have it. I asked if he could look it up under my name, I was placed on hold for about 10 seconds then he comes back to tell me he had spoken to the manager and according to them I needed to wait until the next day to call and see if I receive an email with an order #.

I cannot imagine the order number is the ONLY way to look up an online order. I could sense a "don't feel like working too hard" attitude on this particular employee and I even doubt he spoke to the manager since the manager suggested "I wait until the next day". That was exactly what he wanted me to do since I presented him with the situation.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Still don’t get my order yet! I ordered online since 19 Nov last month. I think the item might deliver from outside America! If you want to order from this site, you have to plan to order almost a month. Customer service is the key of the business, right?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Michaels Stores, Inc?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I ordered 3 items from Michaels, a Cricut machine and 2 accessories, believing they were a reputable store. My order was then split into two separate shipments. The processing time for part of the order, one of the accessories, was quick, and it was shipped next day. The other two items took several days of processing, and then shipped. Those two items shipped from Ohio, a state away, and the shipment was quick to arrive, and a huge box was at my door. The only problem was, the box was extremely light, and it was clear immediately, there was no Cricut machine in the box. Checking the tracking number proved that the machine was never in the both: The UPS label said the shipment was only 1.2 pounds, far far too light if the machine was included.

Don't try to call Michaels on the phone --- their system is a hassle. The bright side is, their only chat system is good, perhaps the only good part of my experience with Michaels. I told them what happened, advised them to check the weight of the machine against the weight of the shipping labels, and they offered me a refund or a replacement. This was a gift, and I wanted a replacement, but was hesitant to trust them any long. After I was told the replacement would take 2-3 days processing, and 5-7 days to ship, I figured that was enough to just take the refund and go elsewhere. I will never shop with Michaels again.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Michaels charged me twice for the same object. I know they were busy today but there is no excuse for scanning the same object twice. I thought the bill was a little high and then I realized why. Unfortunately I did not notice until I got home.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Ordered online for delivery to home. After 9 days, part of my order was still processing. Multiple calls to customer service did absolutely nothing. No resolution, no compensation for the issue, nothing. I got sent an email to review the product before it was even shipped out to me. So I left a review stating the fact it’s still in pending limbo and that if someone wanted it, it’s better to buy in store than online. They denied my review, even though there was nothing that actually violated the terms, just that it warned other customers. Horrible practices. Tried making a complaint to corporate as well, still nothing. The entire experience not only guarantees I won’t buy from them online again, but I’m not going to any of their stores either. If they mess up, they absolutely should fix it and offer compensation, not just brush it off and deny reviews of their services so other people can’t see.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Michaels did, what we thought, was a great job framing a WWII war bonds poster for us. However, today, admittedly years later, my husband and I went to take the poster out of the frame only to discover that Michaels had glued down the poster to the backing. Not just the corners either, the entire poster had been adhered to the poster board. I am absolutely disgusted and incensed. The glue was done without our knowledge and has effectively ruined a piece of history.

Resolution response: Nov. 28, 2018

I was finally able to reach customer support and not only did they confirm my shipment but provided a discount for my inconvenience. In the end I am satisfied and hopeful the item lives up to expectations.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I want to start off by saying that I am an AVID Michaels supporter. I love the store and their products and shop there frequently. However, my recent interaction with the customer support and online store has been extremely disappointing. I purchased an item online at Michaels to ensure an efficient delivery to my home since I am currently pregnant and not able to get to the store to pick up the large item on my own. I was told the order would need 3-5 business days to process. It is now about 8 business days later and 12 calendar days and the purchase is still processing.

I understand items may take some time to process especially near the holidays but it is well outside the time frame given. With that being said, it is mainly the customer support I am here to review. I received a very standard email the first time I contacted customer support for an update. I then responded asking what the hold up was and when I could expect tracking information. I was then told again about the 3-5 business day standard and that a request for shipment and delivery as soon as possible was put in. That was 4 days ago. I have since requested additional information and asked to cancel my order and all 4 additional emails have gone ignored. Absolutely unacceptable. Save yourself the trouble and skip the online store.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I am highly dissatisfied with the service Michaels has delivered. I made a purchase and I received only half of my order. The half I have not received is the Cricut Explore air 2. I received the accessories. To start... I made the order. I made a call a few days later to check on the status. I was told by the customer service department that my order has shipped. The next day I called customer service because I never received an email with the tracking information. The lady on the phone told me my order has not shipped.

Finally, a couple days later I received an email that my order was shipped and the tracking info. Well, I clicked track and there is no information. There has been no information the whole time. Even when I made yet another call to Michaels customer service they told me they had no tracking information provided. I made yet ANOTHER phone call today that I have not received the Cricut Explore air 2 and asked for a refund. They charged my credit card, but provided no item. They will not refund me. I am beyond upset.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I ordered this product on 11/7 from Michaels.com. The website stated that Cricut Maker was in stock. In an effort to get the item more quickly, I chose a Michaels store as the delivery and pick up location. Michaels.com was offering a “one day only sale” of a $50 discount that would only be honored if purchased online. It turns out that one day sale has been going on for 11 days or more and is expected to continue through Black Friday. It’s been 10 days since I ordered this in stock item. It has not arrived at the store. The Cricut finally shipped 3 days ago, but will not arrive at the store until the 19th at best (nearly 2 weeks after buying the Cricut online). Nearly 4 DAYS BEFORE the Cricut did ship, I asked Michaels.com to cancel my order. They said they could not cancel the order because it was “processing.” They told me the only way I could return this item was to go into the store once they receive it and request a refund.

As for the Cricut Maker, there are reviews that suggest there may be unresolved software glitches. The company Cricut will help you troubleshoot, but once the box is open, neither Michaels (read the return policy!) nor the company Cricut will refund your money. Make sure the machine can perform what you need it to do BEFORE you open the box. I am told the Cricut is great for a lot of things, but the newer features may not all work seamlessly yet. Lastly, there are some big name online competitors who are offering the same $50 off as Michaels.com. One even offers a better price and they will accept returns. Michaels.com sent me an email asking me to review my purchase experience. Here it is. They would not allow this post on Michaels.com.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

50% off coupon offered after 5 days of order that took 20 days. I went into Michaels to get a picture framed for my wife. Everything went well. The people were very pleasant and helpful. My problem is that 5 days after I ordered it and paid $275.00 it went on sale for 50% off plus an additional 25% off. I feel like I was robbed. They even sent me e-mails which taunted me to no end. I paid the $275.00 and will never step foot in that door again. You can't get repeat customers this way!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

On October 5 I ordered a custom frame of a diploma for a handicapped individual. Had to order a special mat for it. Was assured that all would come in and would be completed by the 13th. I even bought a non-custom frame just to make sure the process would be sped up. I informed the associate that I needed it by the 15th for a special party for this handicap individual to give them their diploma. When I arrived at two in the afternoon on the 15th, not only could they not find it at first but no work had been done on the project at all. It took two associates 30 minutes of looking and hunting came to that conclusion. I came to that same conclusion in the first five minutes seeing the diploma to be sitting on the same shelf I had saw the associate originally put it on.

I was then told that they would get to it whenever they could as fast as they could but it was obvious that there’s gonna be no diploma for this handicapped individuals party, that the party was going to have to go on without any kind of Surprise for this person Or showing this person how proud we are that they were getting a college diploma. NEVER expect them to have it ready! Be prepared to be disappointed if you need it in a reasonable time frame. Like more than 10 days... Just spend the extra money and bypass the disappointment and heartache.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I was shopping last night 30 min before close... and the young ** women who was the store clerk walked up to me. (I assume she could tell I was frustrated in my decision, on what I was wanting to do on a purchase... she greeted me calmly with a smile.) Complimented my friend whom’s cologne was quite nice... and then began to inquire of to what item I was seeking or the issue I was contemplating over. I began to share over the dilemma on rather I wanted the bigger Diamond Dotz horse tapestry (in which I really liked or, a smaller one which was cheaper but wasn’t much a selection in which I cared for...) I was almost about to leave... she inquired if I was a rewards member?

And I am... she said I could use either the 30% total purchase or a one item since that was all I was getting coupon for 40%. She advised me on which one was the best for my purchase. She scanned my rewards barcode that I had pulled up from my App. and I was amazed and delighted on the fact that she knew and could split cash and card. I gave her $10.00 cash and then paid remaining $15.00 and change on card. Wow... that was a huge difference... discount. It made from what I originally thought I was going to pull from my credit card... and today, the fall weather has moved in here in Texas and the wind is cool and blowing and from the fresh rain the air is cold and damp so I’m super happy. I have my craft project today and did not leave empty handed. Thank You **, From the Abilene Th store 4823.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I ordered some jewelry supplies from Michaels online. They arrived in a timely manner (ship to store), although when I went to the store to pick them up, the employee asked me if it was “Ship to Store” or “Special Order.” Not sure why, but she had to look in 3 different areas to find the box. I decided to return some of the items as I did not need them. I didn’t read the fine print (my fault), so I tried to return them to the store. Not possible. I had to send them back to the warehouse.

It took THREE phone calls to get a Return Authorization. Then I had to print the label and take it to a UPS drop off. It took a long time to get back to the warehouse. I called (again!) to find out where my return credit was as it has not shown up on my credit card. I was told it would take SEVEN to TEN business days to receive the credit!!! What??? I cannot believe a company of this size would be so difficult to deal with online. I might shop in stores, but I will never order online from Michaels again!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I paid Michaels $380+ to frame a large watercolor. The image was "floated", attached in the frame so the edges of the paper are visible. Today I'll return it to Michaels for the third time for repair because it keeps coming loose in the frame. The image was floated for 20 years in its old frame without a problem. My advice: Find a professional frame shop to do your framing.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Many times now, I've placed several items in my cart. When I step away, I get logged out so, when I go back to my order and put something in the cart, it's the only thing in there because I've been logged off and the remainder of my items are no longer there. I've complained about this several times, they do NOTHING! I have to RESHOP most of the time. This is extremely bad customer service. The responses I get are, "I'm sorry. We don't know why this happens." Well, I'M SORRY. I should stay logged in until I LOG MYSELF OUT. I spend way too much time shopping online at Michaels and needless to say, it is very frustrating. I've asked to get contact information for senior IT management... Nothing in the response.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Buying in store: checkers never know SALE prices. Always a hassle. Online order was so messed up. The restocked merchandise before I got there. You are supposed to have 5 days for in-store pickup. They pulled the plug at 3 & ½. No email. They say you can “chat” but there’s never anyone available. Imagine driving all the way to store & no stuff. No apology. Nothing. Clerks even noticed the restock notice wasn’t for 5 days.

Original review: July 20, 2018

We came in near closing time looking for a wedding guest book after being turned away from store after store and not having the option of ordering it online, not only did the personnel help us with a smile and show us what they had but helped us with other things we needed even after the store was closed. We didn't take long but they didn't make us felt rushed and gave us space and help if needed. Will definitely start at this store first and WILL recommend. What an amazing experience. They helped take the stress out of our day. Thank you!

Original review: May 20, 2018

I took a piece of my own artwork in to Michaels to be framed. First, I was surprised at the price which I thought a little high for what I was getting, but with a two week turnaround, I didn't have a lot of choice. We live on one of the SG Islands so it's not like we can drop around to the store whenever. The girl behind the counter didn't seem to know a lot but we went with it and paid up front, something I don't like to do in a case like this. I showed up two weeks later to pick up the picture. The girl behind the counter seemed surprised that I wanted to see it first but she unpacked it from its wrapping. Right away I could see that the second layer of matte was narrower on one side than on the other. I pointed it out to her. "Oh, yeah, I see it," she said." I just looked at her. So she said, "I guess I should have looked at it before I framed it." You freaking think so???

I asked her about fixing it but she said that the way the picture was secured in there she wasn't sure how easy it would be to take apart. I think she realized I was pissed off so she finally said that she could fix it. I asked, "How long?" She wasn't sure, 15 minutes maybe. Which would have been fine except that I was running from appointment to appointment, I wasn't confident she could have it done in the fifteen minutes I would be waiting around, but most importantly, she didn't seem at all confident that she could do it without destroying the original artwork. I finally gave up, took it as it was and left. I was most annoyed that they actually charge as much as they do for framing that bad, but I was also surprised that she did not at least offer to refund a small amount of my money for the mistake. I suggest you go anywhere else for your framing needs and to NEVER USE MICHAELS for framing artwork!

Original review: May 11, 2018

Appalling! Michaels framed a large photo years ago but the photo fell off inside so I asked about cost to fix it. Response: about $10. When I took it in, another woman said "prices have gone up." Final cost: $26. When I picked up the piece, someone pressed too hard and the sticky substance on the strip to hold the photo in place came off onto the inside of the glass (very noticeable) and nobody saw it? So I was told it would have to opened up to clean the inside glass. I went to pick it up and someone removed and discarded the special glare proof glass (paid extra for it) and replaced it with cheap clear plastic. The woman called "the manager" who said the spot would not come off so it was replaced. "Why not glare proof?" "We don't stock that."

So why not find something comparable OR just call me? Instead, it was decided to downgrade my framed piece and not tell me. It looks cheap and I really don't want it in my home. ABSOLUTELY APPALLING! This isn't just bad workmanship and outrageous customer service; it's practically against the law (which I'm sure some fine print will get Michaels off the hook). I'm incredibly disappointed and will never go there again. Stay away from the store in Hybla Valley at 7690 Richmond Hwy, Alexandria, VA 22306.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Employees are lazy and rude, must be something in the air in Clarksville Tennessee? I never get approached or spoken to. I was looking at something in an aisle and had a cart, they always have things set up in the middle of their aisles. I could sense someone behind me but kept shopping. I didn’t know what they were doing and didn’t really care, after IDK maybe 2-3 minutes a loud huff and this woman EMPLOYEE with a cart went around the bin to get by me. Okay, so this is something she could have done all along right OR done the polite all American thing and said EXCUSE ME like I ALWAYS do, are you kidding me. She’s so lucky I was in a decent mood that day!

I made a complaint about how the employees treat customers in this Michaels location and heard nothing, so the store manager is their reflection, ha. Again I’m wondering where the district and regional management are when they hear these type of complaints or do they? That store is never busy and just opened about a year and a half ago so you’d think they would want to make a good impression. So I do not shop there anymore, geez my stores are getting limited in this town because I refuse to be treated like crap because I do not treat people that way!

Original review: April 6, 2018

CONSUMER BEWARE especially online shopping. Went online to purchase a gift card and transaction is now processing double! That means no access to the second charge until payment post to account. Customer service had no power to correct transaction, in fact they were too busy telling me there was nothing they can do! And blamed my bank! WOW... The bank only holds what the merchant has requested until the process has been balanced! IT IS THE MERCHANT THAT TRANSACT THE REQUEST.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I purchased yarn at Michaels Craft Store in Ellisville, Missouri. The yarn was tied together more than at the halfway point. I didn’t discover the tied yarn until I was almost done with a hat I was making with the yarn. I have heard about stores selling used items in their stores but I was still shocked. The clerk made me wait for the manager because the clerk told me she didn’t think I could return the yarn. I felt like I was in the wrong. What? I did get my money back and the store employees had nothing to say. The way the yarn was repackaged made it hard to detect it was used. I guess beware. I just wish something could be done about it.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I made a $135 order yarn for a crochet project. This was my first experience purchasing from a Michaels, either online or in person. I received a notification of shipping 24 hours later. The following day, I received an email from UPS indicating that my box of yarn had been received by UPS RIPPED OPEN, with the content removed. When I called UPS, they stated the box arrived to their shipping center this way, meaning, Michaels shipment center was aware of the theft, and decided to ship me out an empty box anyway. I contacted Michaels immediately, they reviewed the UPS information, and stated I would receive a refund for the entire order within 48 hours to my original payment method.

That was 9 days ago. I’ve called Michaels customer service numerous times. They keep saying they “put in the request for a refund” and could I wait a bit longer?

Um, no. You don’t get to hang on to my $135 a while longer. 9 Days is long enough. I initiated a chargeback with my credit card company this morning. This will be my first and last time shopping at any Michaels, either in person, or online. Horribly inept and shady company. Shop elsewhere!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I loved shopping at Michaels for many years. Now when I go in the yarn I need is never in stock. I shop at the Michaels in Florissant MO. I use a lot of Caron red and white never in stock. I use North Sea Bernat Blanket yarn never in stock. Have to order online. I am getting very angry. The products I need are never there. Please keep these in stock at store or I will shop somewhere else.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I have framed a number of pieces at Michaels and I have now learned that they are great, until they are not. They recently damaged a piece that I took in. My COA was quite clear about its condition and on return there was a smudge, a surface slice along the arm of the image, and spots to the bottom. They immediately refunded the cost of the frame and quite amusingly to me, offered me 100.00 compensation for a piece that is worth much more. I have learned my lesson, and for this I do not blame them.

I now know, if you have something of no value, then certainly you should let them work on it, but anything of value, please take it to a framer that appreciates clean working conditions and safety issues. Now here's the rub, Michaels' prices are actually so high that it's not worth using them for something that has no value. So what's the final conclusion, it's not cost effective to use them for something that has no value and they are cavalier with things that have value. I strongly advise you to go elsewhere. I will be.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I ordered a $346.00 Christmas tree online on October 27, 2017, during Michaels big 70% off Christmas tree sale. I received the tree, did not like the tree and then started the painful journey of attempting to return the tree and get a refund. With other online refunds with other companies, usually the company will email you a self adhesive tag to attach to the item and return to the nearest UPS. Nope. It took 3 phone calls to Michaels, phone calls in which they acted like they had never had to deal with an online return before.

On the 3rd phone call they finally sent UPS to pick up the tree at my house, on November 16th, a full 2 weeks after I started the phone calls to Michaels to return the tree. The tree was delivered back to Michaels on November 26th, two and a half weeks ago. I sit here today, December 14th, after 3 more phone calls to Michaels since the tree was delivered back to them, and I still have received NO REFUND. Three hundred and forty six dollars would be really nice to have around the Christmas season. I just got off the phone with Michaels, again, and the lady said I would be getting a call from customer service. Needless to say, I will not only never order anything online from Michaels again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I went to the Avon, OH store last Saturday to pick up some Christmas lights. The store was somewhat busy, so it took about 10 minutes to get to the register. I repeatedly told the cashier that I was using a Michaels gift card and she insisted that I swipe the gift card through the card terminal in front of me. After 2 attempts and card read errors, I hoped that the cashier would try swiping the card through the register. Instead, she just stared at me. I ended up using a different payment method. I will not be returning to this store.

Michaels Stores, Inc Company Information