3.90/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

michaels.com

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Michaels Stores, Inc Reviews

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Christmas decorations pleasing, advertising/marketing misleads. Bought several items. Experienced a delay at checkout as cashier was having system outage problems. She explained why *buy online, pick up in store* was not working. Promotions were not honored. My rewards number was not surfacing via phone or email. Called to give feedback. Agent informed me that she would send a $15 gift card. It never arrived. Customer service instructed to check spam folder as they saw the note from the agent that she indeed sent the gift card. Allegra was the most catty. Seems like a bunch of ** female administrative liars at customer service.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I would not even give this company a star but I have to give them one. I ordered a prelit Christmas tree and was sent an email on when it would be delivered, in fact, guaranteed it would be delivered then. Only it was not delivered, I never received the shipping email. I have spent a total of two hours on the phone with Michaels Customer "Care" people who have assigned me two different case numbers and have transferred me to supervisors which really were either voicemails or a busy signal number.

I have asked they cancel my order (the total is $171.99) since it has not shipped yet and have been told they cannot cancel the order. I have been told they cannot refund my number. What they did do is email me and tell me that someone would get back to me in 3 business days. In the meantime, I was told it could be weeks before I get my Christmas tree... I will never order from this company. Poor customer service, no one has helped me and I am having a terrible time getting a refund. I am now going through my bank. This has been a terrible experience.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I would post less than one star, but that's as low as I can go. I placed an order on 11/2/19 and was concerned when they said it would be shipped in 2 shipments because it was a large order of MATCHING things to decorate for Christmas outside. One package never got delivered and Michael's made me contact UPS even though they are the ones who contracted with them. Days went by and Michael's never contacted me - no follow up. I called back a few days later and asked why no one had offered to expedite the missing items and have them follow up with UPS. I was told they could do this - guaranteed next day delivery but not sure how it would be handled over the weekend. Long story short - that was on Friday and today (Sunday) I received a cancellation notice for part of the order.

I called and the rep said they didn't have the wreath...the one MAJOR part of the MATCHING decorations. Remember...this is now almost a MONTH of waiting for product. I asked the rep to transfer me to management as I have been treated so badly with no follow up. I was placed on hold for about 10 min and then disconnected. And, guess what, Not a soul tried to call me back even though my phone number is associated with my account!!!! POOR POOR customer service. No follow up. Go somewhere else for what you need as they will never support you. And, through this all, no kind of offer to try to help compensate me for literally hours of calls and time trying to track this down. Not one offer for anything, not even a string of ribbon!!! NOTHING.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I went to Michaels store at Grove City in Columbus today. Bought some Christmas stuffs. After I paid, I have to wait to get the Christmas tree because there was not on the shelves. Cashier said someone will come and help. I waited around 10mins. One lady show up and asked if I wait for anything then I told her that I am waiting for Christmas tree which I already paid. She said someone will come. After that one guy came and said that the only available is the one that showing. I refuse then he said he will check with another stores but I told him he can order and send to my address because I waited so long already but he went to check again.

20 mins passed, the same lady came and ask if I still waiting, she apologize and called her Manager because I want to refund. 30 mins passed, store Manager never show up, I have to stay on the line again. Luckily was not so busy day. I told the cashier the story and I want my money back, she said apologize and called store Manager because she was not able to refund my credit card. Then finally Store Manager-her name is Ms. Haley shown up with no greeting, no apologize no interaction at all even the cashier told her that I waited for her more than 30mins. She just ignored and fix the system. After that just walk away even I tried to talk to her. I am very disappointed with Haley, she has no customer service and rude attitude toward to customer even her own mistake. This is not acceptable!!! She is in the wrong industry.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

This will be escalated to the top and this will be the 1st of many complaints. I paid to take this class in a classroom at Michael’s. Being that it is in Michael’s I expected the best, yet we received the worst of the worst. It turns out to be that the instructor’s room was double booked. Therefore, the instructor and I were placed into the employee break room. This room was filthy and as you might know an employee break room for is Michael’s employees to take their breaks and lunches. We were put in this room for 2 hours, with personnel walking in and out. As a customer I am very disappointed and offended Michael’s could do this one me as a consumer and two to a professional who paid for this class. I truly hope Michael’s makes up for this horrific mistake.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Michaels Stores, Inc?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I finished a 200+ item order today of cross stitch floss. Since Michaels Online ordering chart only allows 50 items per order I had to make five separate orders. I selected in store pickup option to save on shipping, although for some reason, Michaels does not ship cross stitch floss anyway. The only option is in store pickup. Late in the evening I checked my E-mail and found that 3 of my large orders had been cancelled. I got on the Michaels chat service and I questioned the agent about the situation. They could not help me and said they had no idea why the orders were cancelled. They suggested that I call my credit card company, which I did and learned that my credit card company had authorized all 5 orders. In other words, payment is going to Michaels for 3 orders in the amount of over $60 and yet they cancelled those orders!

I wanted to contact the chat service again, but it was past 9:00 PM and they were no longer taking calls. I will have to wait (and worry) until tomorrow morning when I can call during open hours and hopefully find out what is going on. Fortunately, the chat room agent I talked to was able to send me a list of the over 100 items that were cancelled so I will not have to search through all my notes again picking out all the cross stitch floss I will need for my project, but I am still probably going to have to reenter all those items again, since the chat room agent told me they can't reorder an order that has been cancelled and that will take a long time to redo all that ordering again.

I suspect that some employee got tired of pulling all my cross stitch floss and just cancelled the other 3 orders after taking care of the first two. I can understand someone not wanting to do that tedious task, but the service is offered and, in addition, there was a 30% off promotion for ordering Online. If I actually went to the store and picked out all the floss myself, ironically, I would have to pay 30% more! Perhaps, I should have waited to write this entry after I learn what the outcome is, but I am super upset now with all the time I wasted and I still don't know why my credit card company is paying Michaels over $60 for three orders that they cancelled!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I went in today with a coupon I printed. Picked up an Ott Bed lamp - it was not on sale but when I got to the checkout it didn't qualify as it was classified as an "everyday value" priced item. So I didn't take it as their Ott lights are more expensive anyway so I only buy them with a coupon or on sale. I went off with my coupon again. I picked up a little activity book of Sloths and Friends where you scratch out the images. When I went back to the cashier, it didn't qualify and she pointed out the price had an 'N' after it meaning it didn't qualify. How was I to know? I left it behind as well. I can pay the same price and buy it at a store that sells lots of local art, pottery, etc. and would rather support them.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I had purchased an item over a month ago and it was not what I needed. Yesterday I returned it and had a couple of things I needed to pick up. Since my debit account had already paid out the monies, all I wanted to do was use the returned dollar amount on the items that I was buying. Who would have thought that you couldn't do a return and a purchase in one transaction. I was paying cash for this purchase and was told that I couldn't return the item and apply the dollar amount on my purchase that it had to go back on my debit card, which is not what I wanted. Needless to say the sales clerk went for the manager and he still had no customer service skills. I asked him several times to stop talking before he had more upset than I already was. But he continued on... I put the return back on my debit card (not what should have been done) and paid. I will never go back to Michaels again. What a poor way to treat your customers, if I am ever asked if someone should shop at Michaels it will be a big NO!!!!

Original review: May 29, 2019

I have shopped at Michaels for years. I will no longer shop there. I received a Cricut Explorer Air 2 for Mother’s Day and with it came a coupon book for different items I will need for my machine. I have drove to the Newark Delaware store at least 4 times and the item is never in stock although it says it is online. I approached a worker in the store and she was super rude to me. I called customer service and was told someone would get back to me in 24 hours. Never happened. Michaels have horrible customer service. The employees are rude and nasty and no one cares. We crafters spend thousands of dollars each year and deserve better. They have lost my business. I rather go to Hobby Lobby, Joann’s or anywhere that I am treated like a valuable customer.

Original review: May 5, 2019

Received Email from Michaels. Like the minority of consumers I use a smartphone for emails. Add touted doorbuster sales with big savings. It included a coupon for 50% off one regular price item. Any exclusions were not readily visible on e-coupon. I had planned to go to Dick Blick (over an hour away) to stock up bit decided to go to Michaels (90 minutes away) for the sale promotions.

I needed Turpenoid Natural the most. I Found out that Michaels charges $42. Per quart which is more than double than Dick Blick @ $18.32 a quart everyday price. I also discovered that oil and acrylic paints were more than double in price than Dick Blick and other similar brick and mortar retailers. Michaels offers a complicated price match with a very long list of exclusions that is even a challenge for a store manager to make sense of, which often results in wasted time and not meeting qualifying guidelines to receive the much touted price match.

For this sales event Michaels reduced the shelf price of fine art supplies by 40 %, which made the 40% price still higher than the majority of brick and mortar shops selling the exact same items in fine art paint supplies. The 40% off also nullified use of any of the much touted coupons. It is deceptive to claim the event was a doorbuster or even a sales event when they more than double the price of the majority of brick and mortar fine art suppliers. This franchise employs deceptive sales tactics, and practices.

Michaels Stores, Inc Company Information