1.63/5

michaels.com

139 Michaels Stores, Inc Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 1, 2019

The Michaels Store is incredible. It's my favorite art supply store in Huntsville AL and Madison AL. They have a great selection for painters. I'm an artist and using a lot of art supplies. I'm always ordering from Michaels, mostly buy online, and pick up in store. If some items are out of stock then I receive a refund very quickly. They have a great sale, up to 70% off, plus coupons. The employees are very friendly and helpful and the store is very organized and clean. I'm very satisfied and would recommend Michaels and their website to anyone. Svetlana **.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I was shopping last night 30 min before close... and the young ** women who was the store clerk walked up to me. (I assume she could tell I was frustrated in my decision, on what I was wanting to do on a purchase... she greeted me calmly with a smile.) Complimented my friend whom’s cologne was quite nice... and then began to inquire of to what item I was seeking or the issue I was contemplating over. I began to share over the dilemma on rather I wanted the bigger Diamond Dotz horse tapestry (in which I really liked or, a smaller one which was cheaper but wasn’t much a selection in which I cared for...) I was almost about to leave... she inquired if I was a rewards member?

And I am... she said I could use either the 30% total purchase or a one item since that was all I was getting coupon for 40%. She advised me on which one was the best for my purchase. She scanned my rewards barcode that I had pulled up from my App. and I was amazed and delighted on the fact that she knew and could split cash and card. I gave her $10.00 cash and then paid remaining $15.00 and change on card. Wow... that was a huge difference... discount. It made from what I originally thought I was going to pull from my credit card... and today, the fall weather has moved in here in Texas and the wind is cool and blowing and from the fresh rain the air is cold and damp so I’m super happy. I have my craft project today and did not leave empty handed. Thank You **, From the Abilene Th store 4823.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 20, 2018

We came in near closing time looking for a wedding guest book after being turned away from store after store and not having the option of ordering it online, not only did the personnel help us with a smile and show us what they had but helped us with other things we needed even after the store was closed. We didn't take long but they didn't make us felt rushed and gave us space and help if needed. Will definitely start at this store first and WILL recommend. What an amazing experience. They helped take the stress out of our day. Thank you!

Original review: May 5, 2019

Received Email from Michaels. Like the minority of consumers I use a smartphone for emails. Add touted doorbuster sales with big savings. It included a coupon for 50% off one regular price item. Any exclusions were not readily visible on e-coupon. I had planned to go to Dick Blick (over an hour away) to stock up bit decided to go to Michaels (90 minutes away) for the sale promotions.

I needed Turpenoid Natural the most. I Found out that Michaels charges $42. Per quart which is more than double than Dick Blick @ $18.32 a quart everyday price. I also discovered that oil and acrylic paints were more than double in price than Dick Blick and other similar brick and mortar retailers. Michaels offers a complicated price match with a very long list of exclusions that is even a challenge for a store manager to make sense of, which often results in wasted time and not meeting qualifying guidelines to receive the much touted price match.

For this sales event Michaels reduced the shelf price of fine art supplies by 40 %, which made the 40% price still higher than the majority of brick and mortar shops selling the exact same items in fine art paint supplies. The 40% off also nullified use of any of the much touted coupons. It is deceptive to claim the event was a doorbuster or even a sales event when they more than double the price of the majority of brick and mortar fine art suppliers. This franchise employs deceptive sales tactics, and practices.

Original review: May 1, 2019

This is the worst experience ever!!! Orland Park Illinois store - never again!!! Very poor customer appreciation and handling. Needed a couple of simple picture frames. Called in to put it on hold for me. They did. Wanted to use 30% off coupon, so I had to "place an order online and pick up in the store". I placed that order while I was at the store. Then I've been told that it might take up to a couple of hours for processing. Not happy, but Fine! I came back almost a couple of hours later without receiving an email "ready for pick up" and ask for the help to figure out what is going on since apparently the store doesn't even see the order. Asked to call the main center - they didn't.

I called customer service myself and while I am on the phone customer service telling me that it's been process on they end a while ago. Store should have it. Mysteriously the store suddenly received that order but couldn't help me because it was the other two orders in front of mine. So she went to process other orders first to get to mine. Keeping in mind that I am back for the second time to the store and there are no other people waiting for their orders, I am alone and those picture frames sitting in front of me. Waited for another 15 mins. Still nobody came back to the counter with my order. So I finally lost my patience and ran out of time and got the frames for a full price. Total time spent - 1 hour of wasted time. It should't be this way! That is unacceptable!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Michaels Stores, Inc?

Original review: April 15, 2019

My son/daughter-in-law very graciously purchased a "Michael's Store" gift card $250 for a specific machine that I wanted to purchase. Both family and myself thoroughly researched the product and found product was available at Michael's Stores two days ago!!!! Yesterday, I went to purchase the product, to my surprise, they stated "We don't carry that product"!!! Just a note, they carry all the accessories for that product!!! I asked the agent at the store if they could order the machine for me, and I'd purchase it. No, I'd have to go through "Customer Service"...

Today, I contacted Customer Service, they responded, they no longer carried the machine and they weren't responsible for Internet information. Really???? I asked what am I to do with the $250 gift card, Customer Service replied "well you can use it however you want, or you can dispose of it!!!!" Can you believe that??? Dispose a $250 gift card!!!! Agent at Corporate customer service was no better and dug her heels in, saying she was "unable to do anything!" I suggested where they still contract with the company for accessories, as a "courtesy", couldn't they just order the machine and I would purchase it- "No, we cannot do that"......

Original review: March 24, 2019

I went in to purchase some items for a craft project. I am a regular shopper. I noticed that the prices throughout the store were now everyday low price items. In the past we were able to tell the difference between a regular priced item and an everyday low price item. Now a $2.19 item is considered an everyday low price, and there is no sign or sticker to indicate that. Checkout lines are always long with one cashier on. I can never find anyone on the sales floor to help. It is very unpleasant to shop here.

Original review: March 8, 2019

We have never had an issue with Michaels until recently. We have been been using Michaels for our wedding supplies and there was one embellishment we were needing 12 of. Both stores in Colorado Springs off of Academy and the other off of Powers would send us to either store in search of these for four weeks. The comments we would get were “they are on a palette come back tomorrow” or “they are being shipped. Try the other store.” Our wedding is a month away and I finally tried to order them online and they are in store purchases only. I went through customer service to get these ordered and they were suppose to be sent to the store on powers and I gave it a week to be there and finally I called them, waited on hold for 30 minutes and spoke to four different people to be told no one had our information and they sold the stock that was suppose to be on hold for us. I am very disappointed and frustrated. I will not be going back here.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I placed an online order for store pickup at 10:14am. By two I had still not received an email notifying me when the order would be ready for pickup. I used Michaels online chat to check on the order status and was told their system was being updated so that had delayed my order. My big problem with this is that Michaels pushes so hard the fact that you can order online and pick up in the store. Why push something you can't deliver on? Here it is at 6:00pm and I have still heard nothing about my order. But it has hit my checking account! I could have gone to the store and bought the item and been finished with the entire transaction in under an hour. What a waste of my time this has been.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I had 2 orders online. Most everything came in single bags not packaged well. I had to call on the oven shaped cupcake boxes as I received them smashed, torn and dirty!! Why would you put these flimsy boxes in a plastic bag to ship? What a waste! Then the next day I get my piping bags...same deal, in a plastic bag and the box is smashed and torn! I didn't call on the piping bags as I still have a container from the last order I can use, but worth the mention as this is not the way you should receive it! Now, customer service: they are awesome! They listened to me and requested my replacement cupcake holders to be fedexed and not sent in a bag! IN MY OPINION MICHAELS....YOU NEED TO DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, AS IT WILL ALWAYS COME BACK TO BITE YOU! Take more care in what you are doing. We don't have to shop through you, there are other places to go!!!! Take note.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Online store said item was available, then 2 hours later got an email saying the item is on back order. Rams and questioned this as the website still showed it as available. Was told, “Sorry it’s not in stock.” I explained that it was still showing as available as I was speaking to the customer service supervisor and he response was, “Well that’s not my problem.” Not once did he try to help to rectify the problem that I needed the items (was ordering 10 of the item ) and said to go to the nearest store and pick them up instead. Nearest store was 3.5 hours drive away one way. He was rude, unhelpful and just downright arrogant. Michaels has now lost all my business and Hobby Lobby Will now be getting it instead. Disgusting of Michaels to treat loyal customers this way.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Michaels says order before 5PM EST and it will be a available in store that same day. Well, I placed my order at 3:30 and the store says they don’t have an order with that number and customer service says it’s processing. It’s the correct store and in stock, we’ve checked twice on all those things! No help from the store or customer service and the chat would only tell me it’s processing.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I place an order with Michaels that was supposed to be split between the balance on a gift card, with the remaining balance of the order paid for with my credit card. The order went though just fine, showing the order had been paid with the gift card and the credit card. Just looked at my credit card statement. They never applied the gift card balance. After 4 phone calls, I was told I would receive partial credit on my credit card for the remaining gift card balance. Said it would take 3-5 days. Never happened. Additionally, their online orders take forever to fulfill. Will never use Michales online again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have ordered 3 times in 1 year from Michaels. The first time I ordered 12 items. 3 were shipped to me. I got no call or email to say the other items were no longer available. The manager I spoke with was not helpful and slightly rude, I ordered a second time. The entire order was canceled. I ordered right before the holidays bulk items which is what the site was advertising. This was for a baby shower again. They sent the spray paint but not the Mason jars. When I called customer service the agent was rude and told me they could not cancel the order. He sent me to another manager who told me he could not guarantee my order would be canceled although it was their fault it could not be fulfilled. At this point I will never order online again and will be sure to every person I know DON'T DO IT. They should consider removing online services at this point.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Tried for several hours to place an order to ship to store. Couldn't get to the part to add my payment to checkout. It just wouldn't go passed the 2nd step. Tried to go through PayPal instead but got an error message that I couldn't ship to that address which was the store address since I wanted to ship to store. Finally after about 2 hours I can get to add my payment info but now the prices have increased! They are still listed on the website as on sale but in my cart they are regular price which is more than doubled. I removed and added again. Still changes price in cart. It's not fair to list one price on the web page and then change it when I add to my cart. It's late so no customer service is available to help or answer questions. I thought online ordering was supposed to be quick and easy but this has been a headache.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I placed an order online to be picked up in the store. Unfortunately, I accidentally selected the wrong store. I called the store to cancel the order and place it to the correct store. They said they couldn't do that & advised me to called the 800 # which I did. The customer service rep said if I didn't have an order number they couldn't look up the order. I had not received an email with an order # so I did not have it. I asked if he could look it up under my name, I was placed on hold for about 10 seconds then he comes back to tell me he had spoken to the manager and according to them I needed to wait until the next day to call and see if I receive an email with an order #.

I cannot imagine the order number is the ONLY way to look up an online order. I could sense a "don't feel like working too hard" attitude on this particular employee and I even doubt he spoke to the manager since the manager suggested "I wait until the next day". That was exactly what he wanted me to do since I presented him with the situation.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Still don’t get my order yet! I ordered online since 19 Nov last month. I think the item might deliver from outside America! If you want to order from this site, you have to plan to order almost a month. Customer service is the key of the business, right?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I ordered 3 items from Michaels, a Cricut machine and 2 accessories, believing they were a reputable store. My order was then split into two separate shipments. The processing time for part of the order, one of the accessories, was quick, and it was shipped next day. The other two items took several days of processing, and then shipped. Those two items shipped from Ohio, a state away, and the shipment was quick to arrive, and a huge box was at my door. The only problem was, the box was extremely light, and it was clear immediately, there was no Cricut machine in the box. Checking the tracking number proved that the machine was never in the both: The UPS label said the shipment was only 1.2 pounds, far far too light if the machine was included.

Don't try to call Michaels on the phone --- their system is a hassle. The bright side is, their only chat system is good, perhaps the only good part of my experience with Michaels. I told them what happened, advised them to check the weight of the machine against the weight of the shipping labels, and they offered me a refund or a replacement. This was a gift, and I wanted a replacement, but was hesitant to trust them any long. After I was told the replacement would take 2-3 days processing, and 5-7 days to ship, I figured that was enough to just take the refund and go elsewhere. I will never shop with Michaels again.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Michaels charged me twice for the same object. I know they were busy today but there is no excuse for scanning the same object twice. I thought the bill was a little high and then I realized why. Unfortunately I did not notice until I got home.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Ordered online for delivery to home. After 9 days, part of my order was still processing. Multiple calls to customer service did absolutely nothing. No resolution, no compensation for the issue, nothing. I got sent an email to review the product before it was even shipped out to me. So I left a review stating the fact it’s still in pending limbo and that if someone wanted it, it’s better to buy in store than online. They denied my review, even though there was nothing that actually violated the terms, just that it warned other customers. Horrible practices. Tried making a complaint to corporate as well, still nothing. The entire experience not only guarantees I won’t buy from them online again, but I’m not going to any of their stores either. If they mess up, they absolutely should fix it and offer compensation, not just brush it off and deny reviews of their services so other people can’t see.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Michaels did, what we thought, was a great job framing a WWII war bonds poster for us. However, today, admittedly years later, my husband and I went to take the poster out of the frame only to discover that Michaels had glued down the poster to the backing. Not just the corners either, the entire poster had been adhered to the poster board. I am absolutely disgusted and incensed. The glue was done without our knowledge and has effectively ruined a piece of history.

Resolution response: Nov. 28, 2018

I was finally able to reach customer support and not only did they confirm my shipment but provided a discount for my inconvenience. In the end I am satisfied and hopeful the item lives up to expectations.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I want to start off by saying that I am an AVID Michaels supporter. I love the store and their products and shop there frequently. However, my recent interaction with the customer support and online store has been extremely disappointing. I purchased an item online at Michaels to ensure an efficient delivery to my home since I am currently pregnant and not able to get to the store to pick up the large item on my own. I was told the order would need 3-5 business days to process. It is now about 8 business days later and 12 calendar days and the purchase is still processing.

I understand items may take some time to process especially near the holidays but it is well outside the time frame given. With that being said, it is mainly the customer support I am here to review. I received a very standard email the first time I contacted customer support for an update. I then responded asking what the hold up was and when I could expect tracking information. I was then told again about the 3-5 business day standard and that a request for shipment and delivery as soon as possible was put in. That was 4 days ago. I have since requested additional information and asked to cancel my order and all 4 additional emails have gone ignored. Absolutely unacceptable. Save yourself the trouble and skip the online store.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I am highly dissatisfied with the service Michaels has delivered. I made a purchase and I received only half of my order. The half I have not received is the Cricut Explore air 2. I received the accessories. To start... I made the order. I made a call a few days later to check on the status. I was told by the customer service department that my order has shipped. The next day I called customer service because I never received an email with the tracking information. The lady on the phone told me my order has not shipped.

Finally, a couple days later I received an email that my order was shipped and the tracking info. Well, I clicked track and there is no information. There has been no information the whole time. Even when I made yet another call to Michaels customer service they told me they had no tracking information provided. I made yet ANOTHER phone call today that I have not received the Cricut Explore air 2 and asked for a refund. They charged my credit card, but provided no item. They will not refund me. I am beyond upset.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I ordered this product on 11/7 from Michaels.com. The website stated that Cricut Maker was in stock. In an effort to get the item more quickly, I chose a Michaels store as the delivery and pick up location. Michaels.com was offering a “one day only sale” of a $50 discount that would only be honored if purchased online. It turns out that one day sale has been going on for 11 days or more and is expected to continue through Black Friday. It’s been 10 days since I ordered this in stock item. It has not arrived at the store. The Cricut finally shipped 3 days ago, but will not arrive at the store until the 19th at best (nearly 2 weeks after buying the Cricut online). Nearly 4 DAYS BEFORE the Cricut did ship, I asked Michaels.com to cancel my order. They said they could not cancel the order because it was “processing.” They told me the only way I could return this item was to go into the store once they receive it and request a refund.

As for the Cricut Maker, there are reviews that suggest there may be unresolved software glitches. The company Cricut will help you troubleshoot, but once the box is open, neither Michaels (read the return policy!) nor the company Cricut will refund your money. Make sure the machine can perform what you need it to do BEFORE you open the box. I am told the Cricut is great for a lot of things, but the newer features may not all work seamlessly yet. Lastly, there are some big name online competitors who are offering the same $50 off as Michaels.com. One even offers a better price and they will accept returns. Michaels.com sent me an email asking me to review my purchase experience. Here it is. They would not allow this post on Michaels.com.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

50% off coupon offered after 5 days of order that took 20 days. I went into Michaels to get a picture framed for my wife. Everything went well. The people were very pleasant and helpful. My problem is that 5 days after I ordered it and paid $275.00 it went on sale for 50% off plus an additional 25% off. I feel like I was robbed. They even sent me e-mails which taunted me to no end. I paid the $275.00 and will never step foot in that door again. You can't get repeat customers this way!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

On October 5 I ordered a custom frame of a diploma for a handicapped individual. Had to order a special mat for it. Was assured that all would come in and would be completed by the 13th. I even bought a non-custom frame just to make sure the process would be sped up. I informed the associate that I needed it by the 15th for a special party for this handicap individual to give them their diploma. When I arrived at two in the afternoon on the 15th, not only could they not find it at first but no work had been done on the project at all. It took two associates 30 minutes of looking and hunting came to that conclusion. I came to that same conclusion in the first five minutes seeing the diploma to be sitting on the same shelf I had saw the associate originally put it on.

I was then told that they would get to it whenever they could as fast as they could but it was obvious that there’s gonna be no diploma for this handicapped individuals party, that the party was going to have to go on without any kind of Surprise for this person Or showing this person how proud we are that they were getting a college diploma. NEVER expect them to have it ready! Be prepared to be disappointed if you need it in a reasonable time frame. Like more than 10 days... Just spend the extra money and bypass the disappointment and heartache.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I ordered some jewelry supplies from Michaels online. They arrived in a timely manner (ship to store), although when I went to the store to pick them up, the employee asked me if it was “Ship to Store” or “Special Order.” Not sure why, but she had to look in 3 different areas to find the box. I decided to return some of the items as I did not need them. I didn’t read the fine print (my fault), so I tried to return them to the store. Not possible. I had to send them back to the warehouse.

It took THREE phone calls to get a Return Authorization. Then I had to print the label and take it to a UPS drop off. It took a long time to get back to the warehouse. I called (again!) to find out where my return credit was as it has not shown up on my credit card. I was told it would take SEVEN to TEN business days to receive the credit!!! What??? I cannot believe a company of this size would be so difficult to deal with online. I might shop in stores, but I will never order online from Michaels again!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I paid Michaels $380+ to frame a large watercolor. The image was "floated", attached in the frame so the edges of the paper are visible. Today I'll return it to Michaels for the third time for repair because it keeps coming loose in the frame. The image was floated for 20 years in its old frame without a problem. My advice: Find a professional frame shop to do your framing.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Many times now, I've placed several items in my cart. When I step away, I get logged out so, when I go back to my order and put something in the cart, it's the only thing in there because I've been logged off and the remainder of my items are no longer there. I've complained about this several times, they do NOTHING! I have to RESHOP most of the time. This is extremely bad customer service. The responses I get are, "I'm sorry. We don't know why this happens." Well, I'M SORRY. I should stay logged in until I LOG MYSELF OUT. I spend way too much time shopping online at Michaels and needless to say, it is very frustrating. I've asked to get contact information for senior IT management... Nothing in the response.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Buying in store: checkers never know SALE prices. Always a hassle. Online order was so messed up. The restocked merchandise before I got there. You are supposed to have 5 days for in-store pickup. They pulled the plug at 3 & ½. No email. They say you can “chat” but there’s never anyone available. Imagine driving all the way to store & no stuff. No apology. Nothing. Clerks even noticed the restock notice wasn’t for 5 days.

Michaels Stores, Inc Company Information