2. Shopping

michaels.com

4.0/5 (413 ratings)

About Michaels Stores, Inc

Michaels Stores, Inc Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Michaels Stores, Inc?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Michaels Stores, Inc?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

Last summer I spent thousands of dollars at Michael’s to prepare for what I’d hoped would be a lucrative outdoor craft fair season. Mind you, I was spending $300 and $400 per purchase multiple times. I asked the cashier(s) if there was a rewards program and was told no. I asked if there was a discount for seniors, I was told no. So be it. Well, lo and behold I find out a year later (after about $3000 in purchases) that, yes there is a senior discount and yes there are rewards. Smh. In fact, I had accumulated a $20 reward. So, I go shopping online, ensure that I get my senior discount and made sure to spend over $50 so that shipping would be free and applied my $20 reward. To my disbelief- it actually cancelled out the shipping discount! Are you kidding me?! So my $20 reward turned into a $12 reward. Way to go Michael’s. You’re a real class act. NOT.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

To make it sweet and short DO NOT ORDER ONLINE. Michaels fail comply after placing my order online. They took my money and never kept track with PUROLATOR and my package went missing. Not once has Michael approach me to offer an apology or refund my money nor offer credit. This is a horrible experience. When reaching out to Michaels' customer service agents open a claim and from there you are on your own. If I had not kept track of my purchase my funds would be lost. Shame on Michaels. This company is not ready to offer great customer service online. In the store is great service at online. If I were you I would not put my money.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

As a satisfied customer of this store (in person) for over 20 years, I shopped online (due to COVID). Michaels cancelled an item ordered/confirmed, the customer outreached to their online service (chat) within 24 hrs. requesting either replacement or cancellation of order in entirety w refund. This interaction included a dropped call/chat from their support (as evidenced by no interruption of internet) without pause in efforts lasted 1.5hrs without any resolution. The next action steps were directed to the customer to follow up. Rarely do I leave negative feedback, however feel it is important to assist everyone in improved service during these challenging times. The agent's friendliness and manner was stellar. It appears the standard operating procedures need adjusting for online business.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I work with a nonprofit agency located in Asheville, NC that assists children in Foster Care and those battling mental and behavioral health issues. In my role, I seek support from business in a number of ways, many are not in a position during these times to support agencies, which we all understand. However, Jay (the representative in the Public Relations office for Michaels, located in I believe Dallas Texas) was extremely rude. From the moment this individual answered the phone it was very clear in his tone that he didn't want to have a conversation with me.

After I completed the task, Jay responded "we are broke and just hung up the phone". For someone who works with donors, businesses etc. on a regular basis, I would NEVER hang up on someone and use the tone that he chose. It is even more disappointing considering he works in Public Relations. I will never shop at Michaels again if this is how their corporate offices trains their employees to speak to members of the community that has supported their business for years.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I placed an order for over $300 and the money was immediately taken from my bank account. Soon after my order was canceled but they still had my money. It has been several days now, I still don't have a refund, and have spent several hours on the phone and in chats with their "customer service" no one will tell me why it was cancelled only that it will take 3-7 business days to have my money back.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I'd give 0 or 1/2 star if either were an option. Ordered one Lego set online for in-store pick up because it was several dollars cheaper than Amazon. The Michaels' website indicates any in-store pickup order placed before 3 pm will be available for same day pick up. My order was placed at 4:15, so I assumed it would be ready the next day. I received notification that my order was received, but no email or text indicating it was ready for pick up. Two days later, I try and check status. It's listed as "Pending." I try to find out status via both chat and phone customer service (if you'll pardon the expression). No one seemed to know what was up with my order.

One CSR told me that it actually was marked "Ready For Pickup" on her system. A different one told me it was canceled. (Glad I didn't take first person's word that it was ready.) Another one kept telling me about "Same Day Delivery" and "Free Shipping" policies even though the very first thing I said was that this was an "In Store Pick Up" order. Even after I repeated that this was an "In Store Pick Up" order, they continued to tell me about "Same Day Delivery" and "Free Shipping" policies. Turns out, the store canceled the order, but didn't notify me that they did so. And for some reason, the "Track My Order" system didn't know it was canceled.

Spoke with a CSR manager who did some checking and got to the bottom of it. She kindly extended a e-gift card which I used to order the set from a different Michaels location. So, I now have my set and everything seems good. At this point, I'd give them 4 stars. Then I start getting texts from Michaels about the original order which was canceled by the store. The texts say that my order has been received and that they'll let me know when it has been shipped or is ready for pick up. The text included an opt out option (Reply STOPALL to unsubscribe), so I replied "STOPALL" and received a text saying I was successfully removed. Texts did not stop.

When I once again reached out via chat, I was told that I didn't do it right. That I needed to reply "STOP" instead. I explained that that is not what the text stated. They said they didn't know why that was happening and that I should reply "STOP". So I did. And I got a text confirming that I wouldn't receive any more texts. Until I started getting texts about the cancelled order again. Again I tried "STOPALL" and "STOP" and got confirmation texts. And when I get more texts, I reached out again. The CSR I spoke with said all they could do is cancel my account. So they did. And then I got more texts. Reached out again. Supposedly, it's been escalated to Marketing and IT. We'll see if it stops. Should've spent the few extra dollars at Amazon.

Original review: July 18, 2020

I have never had a problem with returns besides this store. I will never shop here again. I ordered something and tried to cancel, Michael's said they were going to refund me but never did. They won't respond to my emails. I'm over it, they lost a customer.

Original review: June 23, 2020

I made an expensive online purchase and was sure that delivery would be free. My fault. After the payment, I discovered that I was charged almost $20. Every item was sent in a separate parcel. Are you serious?! I got eight parcels and still should go to the store to pick up the rest of the order. Unbelievable. It was my first and last time when I bought something at Michaels Store.

Original review: June 15, 2020

Michael's sends me daily (or even more) emails about their sales items. This one was for "Welcome" mats. I went to 4 different stores looking for the one I wanted. Nope. Went online. Not available for shipping. Also check all stores online - "NOT SOLD" How AM I supposed to get it then?! A few days later a new sales advertisement features the exact doormat I was looking for, yay! Nope. Still not sold or available for shipping. Next, Michael's asks me for a review. I said the same as above and added a "Good job, advertising something you don't even sell." Today I got a form letter email thanking me for my review but it "didn't conform to their needs" and I was welcome to submit another review. No explanation or attempt to correct the issue. Just 'we aren't going to post THAT on our site...' What a load of crap. Get me into the store and see if I'll buy something else...ik.

Original review: May 13, 2020

Ordered through Michaels online store. The experience was generally not terrible, once at the cart applied coupon codes for a reduction (per the offer). Cart updated and confirmed the amount on payment. Email receipt of the transaction confirms a total significantly larger. Call customer support, they are not taking calls. Not. Taking. Calls. Not a long wait, no calls. Use the chat bot, Mike Bot, unintelligent and unable to assist...would I like a rep? Yes! Sorry no reps available.

Use contact us webpage, open support ticket marked URGENT. No response...ever.

Wait on Mike Bot chat two days later, transferred to human chat, wait time over 1 hour. This rep can't help. I need to accept the shipment and pay to return the shipment. Transferred to supervisor chat. 20 min wait. Same discussion. Finally issues refund. Provides a claim #. Four days later. Packages are left outside, visa statement still shows full (incorrect) charge. Waiting on chat again...currently waited over 40 minutes. They have no business selling products online as they simply cannot support the model with any service at all.

Original review: May 9, 2020

Good Day, I’m having a really and I mean really hard time understanding why the store is not accepting returns. The excuse I received was because of germs and there is no date as to when returns will be accepted. You got to really be kidding me that we all can’t return items, especially at a time folks may need their money back. Your stores are open to the public but returns can’t come into the store due to germs. Please explain how an item won’t have germs on it today vs tomorrow vs next month. Germs don’t pick a date to stop showing up and this virus can be around for quite a while. Regardless when you accept returns, you are going to face germs. No different than a customer that’s in the store touching the items.

All other stores have no problem returning items. I think this is taking things to the extreme and feel it’s more a higher up decision to not lose money with the hopes people forget or lose their receipt. It is plain and simple ridiculous and if you can’t accept returns, then why is the store open to the public??? I don't know who thought this through but it’s clearly not a well thought out plan or maybe it is, with as I mentioned earlier, done with the hopes of people forgetting or losing their receipt so the store doesn’t lose money. People need to return for all different reasons and some may need to purchase what they need but can’t afford to because the return was part of the money being used. Plain and simple, if you're NOT going to accept returns, then you NEED to be closed to the public.

Original review: May 8, 2020

Ordered online at the Inglewood CA location. Went to pick up an hour later. Was told it would take up to two more hours. I was in a tight time window but moved other things around to make that possible. I called when I pulled up about 4 hours after ordering and was hung up on four times before finally got through. The same employee came out to tell me that it was in the current group of orders they were pulling but it would be another 45 minutes. I could not talk to a manager unless I called again and got through because they will not come out of the building and I could not get the small item myself because customers were not allowed in. I was goated to cancel the order instead of bothering. The worst customer service I have experienced anywhere in quite some time! Communicating effectively is clearly not a priority and over five hours (and waiting) to go to the aisle they list on the order and take this handheld item out is apparently too difficult.

Original review: May 4, 2020

I ordered one item on April 23; never received an email confirming the order or a time to pick up (both of which I had received on a previous order). So I assumed that the order had not gone through. Today I got my credit card bill - behold! I was charged for the item! Tried to get to customer service on my computer, but had to use my phone to get into the chat queue. After an hour's wait, I was connected to Karla R. who asked for the order number (none, as already noted), then my email address. Then told me that there was no record of the order. I typed in several more pieces of information, but apparently had been disconnected as soon as she said she couldn't locate it. Not helpful, not worth the wait, and rude - and I'm still charged for something I never got. I will never order from Michaels online again.

Original review: April 27, 2020

I ordered some heatnbond on 4/23/20 and was not expecting it for at least a week... Still waiting on my Joann's order... Received my Michaels pkg. on the 4/25/20... Very pleased with this order...happy...

Original review: April 25, 2020

I dropped off two canvasses to be stretched pd $190 on 3/12. I am relocating out of the country and need my canvasses back. I waited an hour on the chat, told to contact Aaron Bros. Can't get them. No updates of any kind from anybody. But, of course, you can pick up your online purchases at the store. I need my canvasses back. But no way to communicate with them. Aaron Bros. is totally unreachable.

Original review: April 21, 2020

I ordered 2 items for a total of 34.02. One shipped yesterday with a valid tracking number. I get an alert that a second charge for 15.29 to my account today and a notice that the second item has shipped with a tracking number that can't be tracked because that number is more than 120 days old (according to UPS tracking site). I have been on Michaels chatbot hold for more than 2 hours now waiting for a representative as no one is at their customer service phone line. I try to stop payment with my bank and they say I have to wait until it posts to claim fraud on the transaction... Never again will I EVER order or purchase from ANY michaels brick and mortar or online ever again!!!!

Original review: April 18, 2020

I have hardly ever had a good experience at this store. With limited competition for artists & crafters, Michaels unfortunately has the market in my town tied up. The staff needs better customer service training. They are never cheerful and always seem annoyed by questions and queries. Something must stink from the corporate headquarters on down. I recently placed an order... it did not come in despite my repeat calls to the store.

When it finally arrived late on the long weekend with covid quarantine I could not pick it up as the store was closed. It was after the required time frame a manager called to say it had finally arrived, long overdue. I could not pick up the same day he called and when I decided to pick up next day Michaels informed me they canceled the order, and too bad for me I would have to order again. Honestly, I am not pleased and will take to ordering my stuff from other sources from now on. Shop here if you must but don't expect a stellar experience. You won't find it.

Original review: April 17, 2020

I am beyond frustrated. After years and years of debating on getting a cricut maker I finally made the decision to take the dive and buy it. With everything going on right now I decided to get everything shipped to my house well because I ordered 4 things - a glue gun, glue sticks, the cricut sewing kit and the maker. Michaels has sent me so many confusing emails saying my order is on its way but sent multiple ones for pretty much each item. UPS is saying some items are coming and some are not but they have no names on what it is so I have no clue what is and isn't coming.

The money was taken out of my account and then put back but still no email saying my order was canceled. I log into my Michael's account and it says i have NO ORDER HISTORY then I have ups saying some packages should of came yesterday. Nothing came so I have ZERO CLUE on what's going on, what is coming, what isn't, who to call, how long to wait to see if my stuff will come and neither Michaels or ups has emailed me to let me know that the order was canceled. I used to think that Michaels had their stuff together but after my experience and reading SO MANY BAD REVIEWS I can see I was very sadly mistaken. Never again.

Original review: March 31, 2020

No masks, no gloves, no social distancing, no guidelines for COVID-19 being followed By the cashiers or anyone in the store. It was shocking and irresponsible, Their stores are not essential and should be closed during this epidemic.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

All I can say is that I love this store. I go to it two to three times a week because of my 10 year old daughter. She loves art and the classes Michaels offers on weekends. I love Sam the manager at the Mount Vernon Store and Pam the kids classes coordinator. I feel like home when I am there. Love their sales and coupons. I buy their candles weekly. Can’t say enough great things about this particular store.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

Went to Michaels, S Tamiami Trl, Ft Myers Fri, Jan 10th 2019. Printed their coupons; read the requirements. One coupon per product; one coupon of each type per day. Was told policy changed. Walked out.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Christmas decorations pleasing, advertising/marketing misleads. Bought several items. Experienced a delay at checkout as cashier was having system outage problems. She explained why *buy online, pick up in store* was not working. Promotions were not honored. My rewards number was not surfacing via phone or email. Called to give feedback. Agent informed me that she would send a $15 gift card. It never arrived. Customer service instructed to check spam folder as they saw the note from the agent that she indeed sent the gift card. Allegra was the most catty. Seems like a bunch of ** female administrative liars at customer service.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I would not even give this company a star but I have to give them one. I ordered a prelit Christmas tree and was sent an email on when it would be delivered, in fact, guaranteed it would be delivered then. Only it was not delivered, I never received the shipping email. I have spent a total of two hours on the phone with Michaels Customer "Care" people who have assigned me two different case numbers and have transferred me to supervisors which really were either voicemails or a busy signal number.

I have asked they cancel my order (the total is $171.99) since it has not shipped yet and have been told they cannot cancel the order. I have been told they cannot refund my number. What they did do is email me and tell me that someone would get back to me in 3 business days. In the meantime, I was told it could be weeks before I get my Christmas tree... I will never order from this company. Poor customer service, no one has helped me and I am having a terrible time getting a refund. I am now going through my bank. This has been a terrible experience.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I would post less than one star, but that's as low as I can go. I placed an order on 11/2/19 and was concerned when they said it would be shipped in 2 shipments because it was a large order of MATCHING things to decorate for Christmas outside. One package never got delivered and Michael's made me contact UPS even though they are the ones who contracted with them. Days went by and Michael's never contacted me - no follow up. I called back a few days later and asked why no one had offered to expedite the missing items and have them follow up with UPS. I was told they could do this - guaranteed next day delivery but not sure how it would be handled over the weekend. Long story short - that was on Friday and today (Sunday) I received a cancellation notice for part of the order.

I called and the rep said they didn't have the wreath...the one MAJOR part of the MATCHING decorations. Remember...this is now almost a MONTH of waiting for product. I asked the rep to transfer me to management as I have been treated so badly with no follow up. I was placed on hold for about 10 min and then disconnected. And, guess what, Not a soul tried to call me back even though my phone number is associated with my account!!!! POOR POOR customer service. No follow up. Go somewhere else for what you need as they will never support you. And, through this all, no kind of offer to try to help compensate me for literally hours of calls and time trying to track this down. Not one offer for anything, not even a string of ribbon!!! NOTHING.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I went to Michaels store at Grove City in Columbus today. Bought some Christmas stuffs. After I paid, I have to wait to get the Christmas tree because there was not on the shelves. Cashier said someone will come and help. I waited around 10mins. One lady show up and asked if I wait for anything then I told her that I am waiting for Christmas tree which I already paid. She said someone will come. After that one guy came and said that the only available is the one that showing. I refuse then he said he will check with another stores but I told him he can order and send to my address because I waited so long already but he went to check again.

20 mins passed, the same lady came and ask if I still waiting, she apologize and called her Manager because I want to refund. 30 mins passed, store Manager never show up, I have to stay on the line again. Luckily was not so busy day. I told the cashier the story and I want my money back, she said apologize and called store Manager because she was not able to refund my credit card. Then finally Store Manager-her name is Ms. Haley shown up with no greeting, no apologize no interaction at all even the cashier told her that I waited for her more than 30mins. She just ignored and fix the system. After that just walk away even I tried to talk to her. I am very disappointed with Haley, she has no customer service and rude attitude toward to customer even her own mistake. This is not acceptable!!! She is in the wrong industry.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

This will be escalated to the top and this will be the 1st of many complaints. I paid to take this class in a classroom at Michael’s. Being that it is in Michael’s I expected the best, yet we received the worst of the worst. It turns out to be that the instructor’s room was double booked. Therefore, the instructor and I were placed into the employee break room. This room was filthy and as you might know an employee break room for is Michael’s employees to take their breaks and lunches. We were put in this room for 2 hours, with personnel walking in and out. As a customer I am very disappointed and offended Michael’s could do this one me as a consumer and two to a professional who paid for this class. I truly hope Michael’s makes up for this horrific mistake.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I finished a 200+ item order today of cross stitch floss. Since Michaels Online ordering chart only allows 50 items per order I had to make five separate orders. I selected in store pickup option to save on shipping, although for some reason, Michaels does not ship cross stitch floss anyway. The only option is in store pickup. Late in the evening I checked my E-mail and found that 3 of my large orders had been cancelled. I got on the Michaels chat service and I questioned the agent about the situation. They could not help me and said they had no idea why the orders were cancelled. They suggested that I call my credit card company, which I did and learned that my credit card company had authorized all 5 orders. In other words, payment is going to Michaels for 3 orders in the amount of over $60 and yet they cancelled those orders!

I wanted to contact the chat service again, but it was past 9:00 PM and they were no longer taking calls. I will have to wait (and worry) until tomorrow morning when I can call during open hours and hopefully find out what is going on. Fortunately, the chat room agent I talked to was able to send me a list of the over 100 items that were cancelled so I will not have to search through all my notes again picking out all the cross stitch floss I will need for my project, but I am still probably going to have to reenter all those items again, since the chat room agent told me they can't reorder an order that has been cancelled and that will take a long time to redo all that ordering again.

I suspect that some employee got tired of pulling all my cross stitch floss and just cancelled the other 3 orders after taking care of the first two. I can understand someone not wanting to do that tedious task, but the service is offered and, in addition, there was a 30% off promotion for ordering Online. If I actually went to the store and picked out all the floss myself, ironically, I would have to pay 30% more! Perhaps, I should have waited to write this entry after I learn what the outcome is, but I am super upset now with all the time I wasted and I still don't know why my credit card company is paying Michaels over $60 for three orders that they cancelled!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I went in today with a coupon I printed. Picked up an Ott Bed lamp - it was not on sale but when I got to the checkout it didn't qualify as it was classified as an "everyday value" priced item. So I didn't take it as their Ott lights are more expensive anyway so I only buy them with a coupon or on sale. I went off with my coupon again. I picked up a little activity book of Sloths and Friends where you scratch out the images. When I went back to the cashier, it didn't qualify and she pointed out the price had an 'N' after it meaning it didn't qualify. How was I to know? I left it behind as well. I can pay the same price and buy it at a store that sells lots of local art, pottery, etc. and would rather support them.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I had purchased an item over a month ago and it was not what I needed. Yesterday I returned it and had a couple of things I needed to pick up. Since my debit account had already paid out the monies, all I wanted to do was use the returned dollar amount on the items that I was buying. Who would have thought that you couldn't do a return and a purchase in one transaction. I was paying cash for this purchase and was told that I couldn't return the item and apply the dollar amount on my purchase that it had to go back on my debit card, which is not what I wanted. Needless to say the sales clerk went for the manager and he still had no customer service skills. I asked him several times to stop talking before he had more upset than I already was. But he continued on... I put the return back on my debit card (not what should have been done) and paid. I will never go back to Michaels again. What a poor way to treat your customers, if I am ever asked if someone should shop at Michaels it will be a big NO!!!!

Original review: May 29, 2019

I have shopped at Michaels for years. I will no longer shop there. I received a Cricut Explorer Air 2 for Mother’s Day and with it came a coupon book for different items I will need for my machine. I have drove to the Newark Delaware store at least 4 times and the item is never in stock although it says it is online. I approached a worker in the store and she was super rude to me. I called customer service and was told someone would get back to me in 24 hours. Never happened. Michaels have horrible customer service. The employees are rude and nasty and no one cares. We crafters spend thousands of dollars each year and deserve better. They have lost my business. I rather go to Hobby Lobby, Joann’s or anywhere that I am treated like a valuable customer.

Michaels Stores, Inc Company Information